Windows Support Forum

Compaq 2700 <Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl. exe is missing or corrupt

Q: Compaq 2700 <Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl. exe is missing or corrupt

I tried to find the link to introduce myself, and couldnt. I am not very technically advanced. My laptop (its an older one with windows xp operating system home) (my new one was stolen and I am quite depressed about it) now this problem.
I am using my sons laptop now.

I do not have any discs but blank ones. Can someone halp me? My computer will not start, it just displays that message, and when i press f8, safe mode and everything comes up but it never does anything

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Compaq 2700 <Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl. exe is missing or corrupt

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Compaq 2700 <Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl. exe is missing or corrupt

The hard drive (boot drive) is bad or its contents are corrupted. With no discs, you might want to take it to a friend or to a repair shop to have it repaired

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/compaq-2700-windows-root-system32-ntoskrnl-exe-is-missing-or-corrupt.137562/
Relevancy 99.2%

OK I did a really stupid thing though the resulting problem has not been too bad so far I have Windows XP Pro installed in my laptop the hard disk is <windows missing/corrupt root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe NOT partitioned I missing/corrupt <windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe wanted to install Windows Server operating system on the machine However I wasn t able to find my external CD ROM drive so I used a network connection to dump the contents of the Windows Server installation CD on to my laptop s hard disk and tried to install it When trying to install I got a message that this should be installed on another partition and not on the same existing partition where XP was residing but I didn t bother to read the message and clicked next Yes I know these are all very dumb things to do forgive me Anyways for a few seconds it appeared that the installation was continuing as it was supposed to and then about seconds later I got the message that Windows Server OS was successfully installed I knew that something was wrong because the OS cannot install so quickly anyways I restarted my machine and at startup I got the usual message when operating systems are installed on one machine that I should choose which OS to start up with when I chose Windows Server I got the following message Windows could not start because missing corrupt lt windows root gt system ntoskrnl exe Fortunately when I restarted and chose Windows XP the computer still started and is functioning perfectly Now that startup message comes up on every startup the one about choosing which OS I want to start with the Windows Server OS is obviously not really installed just some vestige of it is how do I get rid of that message at every startup Also from browsing the internet I get the feeling that it has something to do with my boot ini file anyone know where that file is located in XP Thanks a ton nbsp

A:missing/corrupt <windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

This page explains how to edit boot.ini to fix the above problem:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q289022

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/missing-corrupt-windows-root-system32-ntoskrnl-exe.222212/
Relevancy 99.2%

Hello I just recently joined these forums because my laptop and I tend to have or <Windows missing corrupt Root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe a lot of disagreements One of these arguments happened just today and I really have no idea how to go about solving the issue Whenever I go to start up my computer just <Windows Root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe missing or corrupt before it gets to the Windows Screen I get the error quot lt Windows Root gt system ntoskrnl exe missing or corrupt quot I ve read up on it and apparently all you need to do is put in the Windows XP CD and then your problem is solved Well therein lies the issue I have a year and a half old HP dv running off of a Celeron processor It came with a Windows XP Home Edition Operating System and I have the discs but the last time it broke down a different issue the technician who fixed it changed the operating system to quot Windows XP Professional quot I figure that because both versions are XP anyway as opposed to one being Vista and the other XP or something I might as well just try to run the recovery console I have the recovery console and can access it <Windows Root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe missing or corrupt as an option <Windows Root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe missing or corrupt both from the Windows XP Home Edition disc and as an option from the black screen before Windows loads My computer is also partitioned -- in case my computer ever broke down again -- and only Windows pretty much is on the C drive The partitions are in two drives so C D and E are used by partition drives Another problem I have is when I put in the Windows XP Home Edition disc to run the recovery console and get back the ntoskrnl exe file there is always a variation of an error that occurs and sometimes it keeps asking me to quot place a disc quot into the quot a quot drive The disc is in there already And then it asks me to remove a floppy ANYWAY I tried this solution http www ozzu com mswindows-forum ntoskrnl-exe-corrupted-windows-wont-open-t html AND it expanded the file and everything so I thought it was fixed finally but the error still shows up and I m dreading re-installing it because I don t have the Professional edition and it wouldn t be possible to repair the console using a Home Edition for Professional would it but yeah D Any help would be greatly appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 99.2%

I am in need of some major help here I have an HP Compaq dc MT Windows or missing corrupt root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe is running XP Pro When I went to turn it on I got the following error WINDOWS ROOT gt SYSTEM NTOSKRNL EXE IS CORRUPT OR MISSING Windows will not load normally or in safe mode So of course I got on Google and started researching Answers were all over the map From bad Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe is corrupt or missing RAM to Blaster worm to the file not actually missing XP just can t find Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe is corrupt or missing it to many others The problem is I have no XP discs for this machine The first thing i did was to create a bootable XP Recovery Console CD on another machine so I could boot into the Recovery Console and run a chkdsk r on the hard drive Attempting to do this the machine would boot into the Recovery Console but then give me anyone of the following errors - i ntkrnlmp exe could not be loaded The error code is - aic u sys is corrupted - setupdd sys could not be loaded The error code is - asc sys is corrupted - file cdrom sys is corrupted - system drivers ntfs sys I then checked all of my RAM from this machine I pulled out the GB sticks and put Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe is corrupt or missing in one at a time in different slots and turned the machine on Same result I assume that if the RAM was bad I would get an error immediately that there was no RAM in the machine From what I have read IF the WINDOWS ROOT gt SYSTEM NTOSKRNL EXE really is missing it can be replaced with one of many copies stored on the hard drive and the XP disc is not needed to do this So here are my questions How do I replace or repair the above file if I do not have the XP disc Can this be copied from another XP machine or from the HD of the current machine by slaving the HD into another machine Could this be a virus The reason I ask that is I have managed to get windows to load normally times out attempts Everything loads desktop is present but then it reboots itself after - minutes If it is how do I remove it if the machine will not load windows ANY help would be appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 97.96%

Hi, when i boot up my computer i get the message windows root system32 ntoskrnl.ext is missing or corrupt please reinstall file.

I have hirens boot cd 10.1 and was wondering how i can use this to repair this file so i can use my computer again, thanks

also my other computer has the error windows system32 config system on it and was wondering if anyone can help me fix that with the same hiren 10.1 boot cd, thanks in advance!

Relevancy 97.03%

I have compaq presario Model Message or root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe <windows Error is corrupt. missing SR WM and has Windows XP-SP Home edition I changed original Seagate hard drive to WD JB in and had backed up in on GB external HD using Error Message <windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupt. Windows Live OneCare at that time about weeks back I was trying to load BVRP Fax software which is now Classic PhoneTools and while installing it was frozen so I disconnected to shut down Then I restarted it but said lt Windows root gt system hal dll is missing Error Message <windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupt. or corrupt Pl reinstall a copy of this file Then using recovery console and MS Dos prompt I think I copied that file and restarted but it said lt windows root gt system ntoskrnl exe file is missing or corrupt I tried to fix that by using EXPAND command but it did not allow me to access At Error Message <windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupt. this point I remembered that I had original Seagate Hard Drive so I installed it besides WD Hard Drive and start computer and it worked but have to update for XP-SP and SP but cannot use my documents and some other files from WD hard drive Can some one help me to fix system on WD Hard Drive so that I can start computer without having Seagate drive and that cannot loose my stored files and programs on WD hard drive I also have all recovery disks and XPSP - - -usa-x fre-spcd Waiting for your help and thanks in advance for help nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/error-message-windows-root-system32-ntoskrnl-exe-is-missing-or-corrupt.995047/
Relevancy 81.84%

my system is showing ntoskrnl.exe file is missing so I tried to format the PC,but after formating and copying file when the grphical protion is coming before that <Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe. this error is showing

Kindly help me regaridng this problem.

A:<Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe. missing

Hi mate,

I cannot understand what you're asking here. Please can you clarify as I can that 31 people have skipped your post and I'd imagine this is because it's not clear.

Cheers, Crit.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-root-system32-ntoskrnl-exe-missing-557968.html
Relevancy 81.84%

Hi,
I have a laptop, DELL Latitude D430, WinXP.
After normal start-up, it gave me back black screen with the error mentioned above.
I search through the forum for some advice.
1. I do not have any recovery/install CD
2. Moreover, the laptop does not have any CD drive
3. F8 and last know configuration/safe mode did not work at all

What am I supposed to do?
Thx

A:<Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe is missing

ntoskrnl.exe = Windows NT Kernel

You need Dell XP Recovery CD. Contact them for media replacement

Dell - http://support.dell.com/support/topi...t?docid=331556

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-root-system32-ntoskrnl-exe-is-missing-541999.html
Relevancy 81.84%

I have a problem, on my desktop, it goes to a black screen telling me that the file <Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe is missing please install it to continue, I was going to rum repair utility from the XP Pro CD, but my keystrokes are not recognized during boot up, the lights on the keyboard will flash green from time to time, but not stay lit, so whrn it asks me to pres any key to boot from CD, i cant do it, any suggestions or I deas what the hell is going on? I am using a ps2 keyboard, and have tried a USB converter and plugging it in to a USB port with th same result.

The Machine is an COMPAQ Presario SR2002X with an AMD Sempron processor.

Any help / ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

A:<Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe is missing

Check the keyboard and make sure it is good on another computer. PS/2 is more reliable than USB.

If the keyboard works on another computer, and you cannot get the keystrokes recognized to even boot to BIOS, you have a hardware problem.

I'd be looking at Power Supply first.

Post the specs of your PSU, Make, model, output.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-root-system32-ntoskrnl-exe-is-missing-349086.html
Relevancy 80.91%

I'm getting the following message:

Windows 2000 could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt <windows 2000 root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

Please reinstall a copy of the above file.

I've tried using the Dell Recovery Console CD, but once I get into DOS it asks for a password, is there anyway to bypass this?

TIA

Relevancy 80.91%

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt :
C:WINDOWS ROOT>\SYSTEM32\NTOSKRNL.EXE"

I am dual booting XP black 32 bit and Vista ultimate 64 bit.

I am having this problem when trying to boot into XP. I do NOT have the XP black CD, but I do have a Windows XP SP2 disk 32 bit. Could I use this CD to fix boot and/or replace the boot.ini or NTOSKRNL.exe? Would that work OK?

Thanks.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/missing-file-c-windows-root-system32-ntoskrnl-exe.771726/
Relevancy 80.91%

I'm getting this message after I had is root>\system32\hal.dll corrupt <windows missing or my system hang and stop working I had to manually shut it down after waiting minutes for it to try to shut down when it wouldn't I have taken the hard drive out and hooked it up to my other computer as a slave and copied the hal dll file from the working PC to D windows system directory of the crashed drive Still I get the same quot lt windows <windows root>\system32\hal.dll is missing or corrupt root gt system hal dll is missing or corrupt quot message <windows root>\system32\hal.dll is missing or corrupt Why does it say it's corrupt or missing when I copied it from the other working PC Now I have tried to install the disk set of the XP start up disks <windows root>\system32\hal.dll is missing or corrupt issued by the microsoft web site By the time I get to the nd disk i get the all to famous quot ntkrnlmp exe could not be loaded The error code is quot I have changed my boot ini file to point to the correct locations for the operating system folders on the correct partitions I have C amp D partitions on one drive This is what my boot ini file looks like boot loader timeout default multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS operating systems multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Microsoft Windows XP Professional quot fastdetect Windows is loaded on the D drive and all my programs are installed on to the C drive This problem seems to be a big huge issue thats spread all over the place on the internet and when you go and try Microsoft's answer to this problem located here http support microsoft com default b en-us http support microsoft com default b en-us You will get no fix no answer nothing solved At leas that has been my case If anyone can give me a hand here before I go insane I would appreciate it largely I have a month DJ tour to do in China in weeks and I want to get back to burning more music to CD for this Tour Contact me dirstly xxx house productions yahoo com cn Your help is greatly appreciated DJ LexXxus C

A:<windows root>\system32\hal.dll is missing or corrupt

is this computer a new build?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-root-system32-hal-dll-is-missing-or-corrupt-49746.html
Relevancy 80.91%

Hello great folks My dilemma started without any change in software or hardware I simply tried to boot one day and windows would not load a disk read error occurred corrupt root\system32\hal.dll missing or Windows press ctrl alt del to reboot error displayed Per some of the stickies here on the site I tried the western digital diagnosis and found no errors I then downloaded the xp recovery iso rant the chkdsk r and completed then tried the fix boot and received the following error upon boot up Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt Windows root system hal dll Please re-install a copy of the above file After a little bit of research online I once again tried the recovery console disc and attempted this fix per the microsoft forums At the command prompt type bootcfg rebuild and then press ENTER This command scans the hard disks of the computer for Windows XP Microsoft Windows or Microsoft Windows NT installations and then displays the results Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to add the Windows installations to the Boot ini file For example follow these steps to add a Windows XP installation to the Boot ini file When you receive a message that is similar to the following message press Y Total Identified Windows Installs C Windows Add installation to boot list Yes No All You receive a message that is similar to Windows root\system32\hal.dll missing or corrupt the following message Enter Windows root\system32\hal.dll missing or corrupt Load Identifier This is the name of the operating system When you receive this message type the name of your operating system and then press ENTER This is either Microsoft Windows XP Professional or Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition You receive a message that is similar to the following Enter OS Load options When you receive this message type fastdetect and then press ENTER after completing this I could get to the boot option screen and select the new boot config but I still get the same error Thanks in advance you guys provide an amazing service

A:Windows root\system32\hal.dll missing or corrupt

Boot from your CD and follow the directions to start Recovery Console.
Then type:

Attrib -H -R -S C:\Boot.ini
DEL C:\Boot.ini
BootCfg /Rebuild
Fixboot
See if that takes care if it

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/371150/windows-rootsystem32haldll-missing-or-corrupt/
Relevancy 80.91%

A few days ago I noticed my computer was running horribly slow so I ran Malawarebytes Anti-Malware which came back clean The slowness continued so I ran CCleaner <Windows or missing Root>\system32.hal.dl corrupt to clean up the registry I noticed several registry items that popped up on the delete list that I never saw before some were Word ink files and others were Azureus ink files among others I assumed it was OK to delete them After that is when the real problems started The system slowed to an absolute crawl In fact I had to restart the computer because it <Windows Root>\system32.hal.dl missing or corrupt seemed frozen Upon rebooting my hard drive made an odd noise then I received the following error message Windows could not start becasue the following file is missing or corrupt lt Windows Root gt <Windows Root>\system32.hal.dl missing or corrupt stem hal dll Please re-install a copy of the above file Therein lies the problem I do not have my original Windows <Windows Root>\system32.hal.dl missing or corrupt disk and I can t access anything on my desktop I tried to reboot in recover mode and all I got was a black screen and a blinking curser Nothing happens when I try to type a command I searched the existing topics and I can t seem to figure out what to do if I have no disk and no ability to download Can Someone please help

A:<Windows Root>\system32.hal.dl missing or corrupt

You can create your own Recovery Console disk with this file:http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.isoYou must burn this file to a CD as an ISO. Post back if you need more information on how to do this.Insert the CD into the CD drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.Type: bootcfg /rebuildIt's important to have a space before the "/".To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.Info on the bootcfg command: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291980

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/270834/system32haldl-missing-or-corrupt/
Relevancy 80.91%

I just received a phone call from my brother, who lives about 75 miles away stating that he is having problems booting up his computer. On bootup, he gets a black screen that says <windows root>\system32\hal.dll missing or corrupted, please reinstall. It will be tomorrow beforw I have the computer in front of me to actually see it myself. I am great with building machines but not strong with software. Any one have any good advice at possible problems solutions? My first thought is to boot to Win XP CD and try a repair. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Jim

A:<windows root>\system32\hal.dll missing/corrupt

jlabit said:

I just received a phone call from my brother, who lives about 75 miles away stating that he is having problems booting up his computer. On bootup, he gets a black screen that says <windows root>\system32\hal.dll missing or corrupted, please reinstall. It will be tomorrow beforw I have the computer in front of me to actually see it myself. I am great with building machines but not strong with software. Any one have any good advice at possible problems solutions? My first thought is to boot to Win XP CD and try a repair. Any suggestions? Thanks.

JimClick to expand...

go to recovery console

type in the installation

type bootcfg /list

type bootcfg/rebuild

type Microsoft Windows XP *enter your editon here ..Professional or Home Edition*

type /fastdetect

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-root-system32-hal-dll-missing-corrupt.418693/
Relevancy 80.91%

For some reason my friend s pc has crashed and the above error message appears blue screen I have managed to reinstall windows on c drive as a separate partition the only way to get or corrupt <windows root>\system32\hal.dll missing the pc working again The only problem is that the resolution of the screen is really low and unable to change I can connect to the internet and everything but would like to fix the old windows and <windows root>\system32\hal.dll missing or corrupt get the resolution back <windows root>\system32\hal.dll missing or corrupt Please tell me what programs to download etc to fix I have trawled the internet for hours reading about replacing boot ini files and even tried overwriting the hal dll file from the windows system that is now working Please help I m sure there is an easy fix somewhere and you are the guys who know PS reinstalling windows or repairing windows from original disk does not seem to do anything still stuck with a low resolution as if it s running in safe mode nbsp

Relevancy 80.91%

I am attempting to fix my friends computer and am coming across issues It is a Gateway laptop MX running windows xp media center edition There was a virus on the computer and instead of trying to remove it she tried using the windows or root\system32\hal.dll missing corrupt system recovery and wiped out the OS Now when she reboots it says quot Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt lt Windows root gt system hal dll Please re-install a copy of the above file So I used the operating windows root\system32\hal.dll missing or corrupt system disc that came with the laptop to re-install XP but it comes up with the same error The system seems to have managed to memorize the data on the disc so now even without the OS disc it can go into system recovery on its own if I press F It looks like it does not even recognize the CD because I do not get the option windows root\system32\hal.dll missing or corrupt to re-install Windows when I try to boot off windows root\system32\hal.dll missing or corrupt the disc It just keeps taking me to system recovery which is not working I have set the BIOS to CD first Now i don't know if it's a problem with the disc or something wrong with my cd reader or could there be something wrong with the hard drive Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks in advance

A:windows root\system32\hal.dll missing or corrupt

"The system seems to have managed to memorize the data on the disc, so now even without the OS disc, it can go into system recovery on its own if I press F11."

It hasn't "memorised" what was on the CD. There is probably a hidden factory recovery partition on the hard drive which is accessed when you press F11 during the boot process. The recovery CD isn't needed for that. Still, I don't know why it doesn't actually work.

This Microsoft page may help you: Error message in Windows XP SP2:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-root-system32-hal-dll-missing-or-corrupt-616452.html
Relevancy 80.91%

When trying to log on getting the above message how can I reinstall . Advent netbook so no cd

A:windows root system32\hal.dll missing or corrupt

You could borrow a CD of the same XP level on the understanding you only need it for repair purposes, and buy a USB powered CD ROM - they don't cost much and you will save a professional repair cost.

Does this also happen if you try to log in using Safe Mode? If you can get in, or borrow a CD, try Checkdisk first. At the Command Prompt, type chkdsk /r (including the space) and press Enter, then let the five stage process run through.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-root-system32-hal-dll-missing-or-corrupt.968794/
Relevancy 111.37%

Hello-

I am using Windows XP Professional. On initial bootup process, I get a black screen with the error message:

"Windows could not restart because the following file is missing or corrupt:

<windows root>\system 32\ntoskrnl.exe.

Please re-install a copy of the above file."

The mouse and keyboard are not working. I can do nothing except restart by pressing the power button on the tower. I put the XP disk in to try and reinstall, and the desktop came up. However,it would not run the disk and, again, the mouse and keyboard were not working. The mouse pointer is stuck in the center of the screen. They are both properly connected. Can anything else be done to fix this? Like I said, the mouse and keyboard are apparently disabled, and the disk will not automatically run when I put it in. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

A:missing or corrupt <windows root>\system 32\ntoskrnl.exe.

Sounds like it could be a hardware problem.

The easiest thing for you to do would be to download Knoppix and boot into that. if you can get it to start, and it comes up and your keyboard/mouse work, then a hardware motherboard problem is eliminated. Further, Knoppix should detect and mount your hard drive; if it fails to do so that gives substantial weight to the possibility that you have a failed HD. If it does detect and mount it (it will mount it read only) then there are a plethora of tools on Knoppix that will enable you to diagnose and repair whatever is wrong with the partition table or file system.

Go here to get knoppix.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/missing-or-corrupt-windows-root-system-32-ntoskrnl-exe.428450/
Relevancy 110.94%

I am running WinXP on a Dell The system will not boot the error message is lt windows root gt system hal file <windows or corrupt root>\system32\hal.dll missing dll file missing or corrupt I have not updated WinXP in a few weeks so the reason for my problem is not a recent Win update as seems to be true in many other cases Using a WinXP installation disk not the one for this computer I was able to get DOS running and poked around <windows root>\system32\hal.dll file missing or corrupt There is a hal dll file where it should be I have no way of knowing if it <windows root>\system32\hal.dll file missing or corrupt is corrupt but it is not missing I did discover that there is no Boot INI file where I would expect it to be at least none that I could find and when I entered bootcfg list the return was that there was nothing to display telling me that either there is no Boot INI file or there is nothing in the file Either way this seems like the problem Is there some way I can rebuild the Boot INI file I do have backups on a USB drive I can quot see quot the drive from DOS but can not access anything I suppose I could hook the USB drive to another computer and try to fetch a copy of the boot ini file that way and then manually recreate the boot ini file on the I do not have the original Dell WinXP disk s I tried very hard to get them from Dell when I purchased the system in but Dell does not typically provide opsys CDs with their systems Ironically when I contacted Dell about this problem earlier today they immediately asked about the WinXP disks that they would not provide I will continue to work with them all I can get is their voice mail talk about a difficult company to work with but any help would be appreciated Thanks nbsp

A:<windows root>\system32\hal.dll file missing or corrupt

Langa Letter: XP's Little-Known 'Rebuild' Command Hal.dll
http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=185301251

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-root-system32-hal-dll-file-missing-or-corrupt.569385/
Relevancy 110.94%

Hello,

It's a Dell Inspiron. The part that is really frustrating is the laptop will not boot from cd! I can't even get to a command prompt bfore Windows attempts to startup. Whenever I select the CD ROM drive to be the primary boot it says no bootable devices. Please help. Thanks.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-root-system32-hal-dll-file-missing-or-corrupt.567597/
Relevancy 110.94%

I'm trying to fix my friends Dell the has the "<windows root>\system32\hal.dll is missing or corrupt. Please reinstall it." problem. I already hooked his HD up as a slave on one of my computers and pulled all his files. While doing that I tried replacing it manually. Nothing. I tried doing a repair to the OS, and I hit another wall. "Please enter Administrator Password"? What is this, does anyone know? Is there a Dell protection on doing this? I'm guessing reformatting will have the same problem. Anyone know how to bypass this?

A:<windows root>\system32\hal.dll is missing or corrupt. Please reinstall it.

There are two versions of the Hal.dll. One is for normal use and the other is for APCI (power saver mode). When installing the OS only one of the version is installed. It looks at the BIOS setting for power managment.

He may have changed that setting in his BIOS and it is now looking for the other version of the file. Have him change that setting in BIOS back and the file on the HD should be good to good.

If that dont work then the file is corupted or missing.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-root-system32-hal-dll-is-missing-or-corrupt-please-reinstall-it-209043.html
Relevancy 110.94%

When I start up my computer this is what comes up. I put a copy on a floopy disk and now when it loads up, all I get is A;\ . Now what is the next step, I don't have any Windows CD's

A:(Windows Root) Directory c>\system32\hal.dll is missing or corrupt

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-root-directory-c-system32-hal-dll-is-missing-or-corrupt.879276/
Relevancy 110.94%

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
Please re-install a copy of the above file
Can anyone tell me how to fix this please?

I have Windows XP Home, and an enternal System recovery partition D:
No rcovery Disk

A:file is missing or corrupt:<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.

Hi Zend,

First, welcome to TechGuy.org forums.

Its true from the error message that the Hardware Abstraction Layer (hal.dll) file is missing or corrupt. Reasons can be quite complicated to explain but I suggest five (5) ways out and I advice try them carefully as they are stated.

Method 1:
Does ur PC provide an option for emergency recovery from the recovery partition upon start-up? If it does, u can follow the option to launch the program that you can use 2 revive ur PC. My Compaq nx6310 notebook has a recovery partition too and gives me ...

Press F11 for emergency recovery

... and I've used it for a similar PC revival.

I believe the emergency recovery option uses the recovery partition 2 work. Again, read and consider the options carefully before progressing to avoid loosing ur documents in the long run.

The next 3 other ways to resolve this issue relies on u getting a Windows XP Home Edition CD and then booting ur PC from the CD up till the stage of the Recovery Console. On the page where it says 'Welcome to Setup', you press letter R to enter Recovery Console.

In the recovery console, type the number corresponding to ur windows installation and press enter key. At this stage, u may now try the following steps if Method 1 is not successful.

Method 2: This will try to scan ur disks. It has most often times worked.

Chkdsk /P /R
exit

Method 3: If Methos 2 fails, enter the following commands one after the other in recovery console. They will try to rebuild the boot configuration manager. The last command (exit) will restart ur PC to take effect.

Attrib &#8211;h|-s|-r C:/boot.ini
Del C:/boot.ini
bootcfg /rebuild
fixboot
exit

Method 4: If method 3 fails, enter Recovery Console again and type the following commands. U may replace cddrive with the drive letter of ur CD too.

Expand cddrive:/i386/hal.dl_ C:/windows/system32/hal.dll
exit

Method 5: If the first 4 methods fail, I advice u either Repair ur Operating system or consider a total reinstallation of it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/file-is-missing-or-corrupt-windows-root-system32-hal-dll.844263/
Relevancy 110.94%

I know this has been dealt with before in other threads but nothing seems to work for me...

i can't boot up another computer I am getting following error...missing or corrupt file....<windows root>\system32\hal.dll. I have tried booting from my xp pro disk and even going into last known config or safe mode...won't boot up and i keep coming back to that error. Even after going into recovery mode and it finds xp on a list...the only option I am given is re-install xp after re-formatting. I don't want to lose all of my data.

If I could just get it booted in safe mode...couldn't I plug in my external hard drive and copy all of my files? Then I could reformat the hard drive.

Can someone here help? Please, in simple english. I often get lost trying to understand the directions given, thanks :)

A:missing or corrupt file....<windows root>\system32\hal.dll? HELP!!!

Did you try booting the xp disk and running a repair, that should repair you Operating System files and replace any corrupt ones. You'll see the repair option when you boot the disk and as soon as the blue setup screen on the bottom it will ask you to press a function key (f2 i think but cant quite remember) or as you continue the setup it should detect the windows xp and ask if you want to repair it or continue the install.

Hope this helps

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/missing-or-corrupt-file-windows-root-system32-hal-dll-help-352526.html
Relevancy 110.94%

Windows could mot start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<windows root>\system32\hal.dll. Please re-install a copy of the above file.

Relevancy 110.94%

I cant fix what i dont know what im doing. How do i fix my Labtop?

A:File missing or corrupt: <Windows root>\system32\hal.d11.

do u have an xp install cd

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/file-missing-or-corrupt-windows-root-system32-hal-d11-656959.html
Relevancy 110.94%

I'm getting this error message every time I start up my computer and it's stopping me from getting into Windows. Does anyone know how I can fix it? I've run CHKDSK /R 3 times and it hasn't helped.

A:The following file is missing or corrupt: <Windows Root>\System32\hal.dll

There may be an occasion when you boot up your PC that you receive an error message such as HAL.DLL file is corrupt or missing. In many cases this can simply be a misconfiguration in the Boot.Ini file and can easily be corrected by instigating a suitable repair.

1/ Place your Windows XP CD into your CD-ROM and Reboot your PC

2/ XP's setup program will automatically start and files will be loaded to memory

3/When you reach the Welcome to Setup screen choose the Repair option by pressing R

4/ This will start the Recovery console and the list of Windows installations will appear

5/ As you only have one installation on your PC you need to press the number which is relevant to your installations location. This, obviously will typically be 1

6/ Type in your Administrator password. If you are using Windows XP Home edition the administrator password is blank by default so simply press Enter

7/Now type bootcfg/list

8/ A list will now appear of all the entries in your boot.ini file

9/ Next type bootcfg/rebuild

10/ Your boot.ini file should now be repaired

11/ Finally remove your XP CD from the CD-ROM and then type Exit

12/ Reboot your machine to see if the the problem has been cured

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/the-following-file-is-missing-or-corrupt-windows-root-system32-hal-dll.365188/
Relevancy 110.94%

I turn on the computer I get the initial display and then then the missing or corrupt: system32\hal.dll

I have made the attempt to reinstall WinXP Sp2 but the failure reoccurs.
I hit F8 and no matter what I select the "missing or corrupt: system32\hal.dll" returns.

Just prior to this the system halted with a couple of blue screens so, being that it been around for some time I decided I would just reload WinXP SP2 and initially all seemed to be going fine however it halted indicating inf's were missing.
Well i made an effort to skip them, as I felt I should be able to load them from another computers system32 folder and that never happened as it completed halted and then began displaying the missing or corrupted hal.dll and I cannot get passed this.

Don't know what else to try.

Any help would be appreciated.

A:I cannot get past [missing or corrupt:<Windows root>system32\hal.dll

What I would do is first try to get your computer to boot again.

I would do this by rebuilding the boot information.

To do this go into the repair console and type.
(to get into the repair console boot your XP disk then type r to repair)
CD ..
ATTRIB -H C:\\boot.ini
ATTRIB -S C:\\boot.ini
ATRIB -R C:\\boot.ini
del boot.ini
BOOTCFG /Rebuild
CHKDSK /R /F
FIXBOOT

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-cannot-get-past-missing-or-corrupt-windows-root-system32-hal-dll.557904/
Relevancy 110.94%

Hi,
I have a Compaq Presario Machine with XP SP2. One day it would not turn on and gave me a "ntldr missing" so I googled the problem and followed the suggestion to use the recovery disk and copy the ntldr files, I did that. Upon restart, I now have the "<windows root>\system32\hal.dll is missing or corrupt" and I am not able to start in safe mode.

I hope someone here has any good suggestions, I really need to recover the files and I hope that I do not have to resort to reinstalling windows.

A:<windows root>\system32\hal.dll missing or corrupt. Please help me recover my pc.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-root-system32-hal-dll-missing-or-corrupt-please-help-me-recover-my-pc.831485/
Relevancy 110.08%

Hello I had a problem with a virus so I reinstalled win XP Pro Then before installing or running any programs I ran AVG Virus software and remove the virus Then <windows or root>\sestem32\ntoskrnl.exe. missing corrupt: file is installed the basic peripheral file is missing or corrupt: <windows root>\sestem32\ntoskrnl.exe. software and everything was working great I shut down the PC and remove the ATI Video card to look for the SN Next I replaced the video card and booted the PC That s when I got this error Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt lt windows root gt sestem ntoskrnl exe Please reinstall a copy of the above file Using a readntfs boot disk I got to the A prompt When file is missing or corrupt: <windows root>\sestem32\ntoskrnl.exe. I tried to go to the C drive from the A prompt I got this message Drive C not responding out of internal memory I tried using the six floppy disk windows XP setup but it would always stop freeze on the third or forth floppy disk I tried one more time to get to the C drive from the A prompt got the same message Drive C not responding out of internal memory So I thought to try and see if the D drive is there and got the same message D drive not responding out of internal memory So if the C prompt is not responding I can t copy the missing ntoskrnl exe to the C drive gb Maxtor alone on the IDE slot for the OS Drive D is on the IDE slot And I have two other drives on PCI IDE card I hope this is enough and not too much thanks nbsp

A:file is missing or corrupt: <windows root>\sestem32\ntoskrnl.exe.

I have had this happen to me (I think it was after defrag).

I booted up with the XP CD into recovery mode and then ran chkdsk /r
It appeared to solve my problem though I am not sure what happened and why this fixed it.

It is worth a try.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/file-is-missing-or-corrupt-windows-root-sestem32-ntoskrnl-exe.76905/
Relevancy 109.65%

I get this text when turn on my computer lt windows root gt system hal dll Is either not installed or corrupt Please reinstall with the disk Missing !error At <windows Or Root>/system32/hal.dll. Corrupt Boot! My computer is a Dell Dimension E I do not have the Windows XP disk to repair this error These are the <windows Root>/system32/hal.dll. Missing Or Corrupt !error At Boot! steps I took before my computer messed up Your boot ini can be found by right clicking My Computer and going to System then to the Advanced tab then clicking Settings under Startup and Recovery You click the quot Edit quot box <windows Root>/system32/hal.dll. Missing Or Corrupt !error At Boot! next to where it says To edit startup options manually click Edit To the file that pops up and on the line underneath operating systems you are going <windows Root>/system32/hal.dll. Missing Or Corrupt !error At Boot! to add the following command usepmtimerWhen you are done editing the file it should look like this boot loader timeout default multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS operating systems multi disk rdisk partition WINDO Windows XP Professional quot noexecute optin fastdetect usepmtimer - I did all this then restarted my computer and got the error Here is a link to the full page I followed I was trying to fix my counterstrike problem http hardware gotfrag com portal forums thread I want to try to find a way to fix this problem without Restoring my computer to the default settings and wiping my hard drive and without the Windows Xp Disk Any suggestions Thanks

A:<windows Root>/system32/hal.dll. Missing Or Corrupt !error At Boot!

See if one of these helps:Error Message: Cannot Find \Windows\System32\hal.dll"Invalid Boot.ini" or "Windows could not start" error messages when you start your computer

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/74622/system32haldll-missing-or-corrupt-error-at-boot/
Relevancy 108.79%

Keyboard not working and file is missing or corrupt:<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll
Hi everyone. I'm having a problem; i'm getting that message file is missing or corrupt:<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll. when i try to boot, so when i tried to re-install windows my keyboard wasn`t working, so i couldn`t change the boot sequence or `press any key to boot from cd`

i thought it was because i had a wireless keyboard, so i bought a new USB keyboard and tried it with that...still no luck. here is the weird thing; about once in 30 trys, i can get into the boot sequence or bios screen, but then the keyboard stops working again. Any suggestions?

A:Keyboard not working and file is missing or corrupt:<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll

Ive had this problem before and my usb keyboard didnt work either. Luckily, I had an old PS/2 keyboard I kept 'just in case'.

This worked fine and I got mine working again, so I would recommend you buy a PS/2 keyboard as this should work.

Hope this helps.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/keyboard-not-working-and-file-is-missing-or-corrupt-windows-root-system32-hal-dll-401913.html
Relevancy 108.79%

Hi everyone. I'm having a problem; i'm getting that message file is missing or corrupt:<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll. when i try to boot, so when i tried to re-install windows my keyboard wasn`t working, so i couldn`t change the boot sequence or `press any key to boot from cd`

i thought it was because i had a wireless keyboard, so i bought a new USB keyboard and tried it with that...still no luck. here is the weird thing; about once in 30 trys, i can get into the boot sequence or bios screen, but then the keyboard stops working again. Any suggestions?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/keyboard-not-working-and-file-is-missing-or-corrupt-windows-root-system32-hal-dll.849450/
Relevancy 104.06%

I am having the same problem but different issues. I have a HP notebook (4 yrs old), running XP. I do not have the recovery disc. I can not get into safemode as it stops loading in the process of loading or checking drivers (not sure). I can get it to the XP splash screen but when it goes to the next screen which should be my log on screen, it is blank. Is there anyway to fix this and replace the file or do I trash it and get a new laptop?
thanks for any help!

Relevancy 103.63%

For the nd time now my computer has failed with the following message Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt lt Windows root gt system hal dll Please install a copy of the above file Last time about a month ago it was not possible to re-install the file and I had to have it repaired at a computer repair shop corrupt root>\system32\hal.dll missing or As I had drives mirroring each other they were able to recover my windows installation I don t really want to send it back to them again as it took them go s before and they lost a lot of my data on a drive that was working fine A few questions As I have mirrored drives is it possible for root>\system32\hal.dll missing or corrupt me to somehow boot from the other root>\system32\hal.dll missing or corrupt one As this root>\system32\hal.dll missing or corrupt problem has now occurred twice is it likely to be a faulty HD If I have to re-install Windows will it be possible to just do this on one single new HD as opposed to the mirrored RAID configuration I currently have This hasn t really been much benefit to me Thanks nbsp

A:root>\system32\hal.dll missing or corrupt

Ok, this is what I've done so far...

I tried unplugging one of my 2 drives that are in the RAID configuration - I restarted and still got the same error message. So I unplugged that drive and plugged the other one back in.

This time I got a mesage when it restarted saying that -

Problem detected with Array 1.
A disk member of a mirrored array has failed or is not responding. The array is still functional, but fault tollerance is disabled...........

After this Windows does load properly, although is running very slowly. I am assuming that i am now running Windows off the other drive that was previously mirroring the other one.

Is it now simply a matter of replacing the other drive? how can I tell if it is faulty?

Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/root-system32-hal-dll-missing-or-corrupt.826168/
Relevancy 102.77%

hello all i am working on a friend laptop computer i can not give you to many spects because i can t get into the windows to find out what the computer spects are but this i do know it is a hp pavillon ze running window xp home ok this is the message i am getting when i turn the computer on windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt lt Windows root gt system ntoskrnl exe Please re-install a copy of the above file i have put the application and driver recovery dvd and it does root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe Solved: <window help please missing no good i have totally forgotten how to start up in safe mode so i am like omg what do i do now i will have to wait for Solved: <window root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe missing help please her to Solved: <window root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe missing help please come home from work to get the reformat cd from her if i need it but i really don t know what to do now can someone please help me here my friend will go nuts without her computer plus i am trying to save her money by trying to fix it myself she has kids and i supect it was the year old that did this to her computer he wont keep his hands off and she wont turn it off eather thanks for reading and or answering my post nbsp

Relevancy 100.62%

Hello,

I have a compaq Presario laptop, It was working good & suddenly it started showing error

PXE-E61: Media Test Failure, check cable
PXE-MOF: Exiting PXE ROM.

This keep going on in a loop

When i try to boot from XP professional CD & go to the repair Option to do "bootcfg /rebuild" as suggested in one of the posts on this forum, it says 'operation cannot be completed as drive not found'.

Then we get error msg for 'ntoskrnl.exe' missing or currupt. I tried using the copy cammand but somehow the system shuts down automatically on the repair console before i can type the entire command and execute it.

Whatever help to resolve this issue is highly appreciated.

Regards

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-boot-window-root-system32-ntoskrnl-exe-missing-or-currupt-error.148863/
Relevancy 100.19%

Hello everyone I have a problem I have an iMac which has a Macinstosh OS and a Windows XP OS Recently my windows stopped working It started normally until the loading screen and then the iMac just restarted I decided not to think about it too much and just reinstall Windows I used Boot camp after missing" or partition. formatting is root>/System32/hal.dll corrupt "<Windows to start from cd "<Windows root>/System32/hal.dll is corrupt or missing" after formatting partition. deleted old windows partition created a new "<Windows root>/System32/hal.dll is corrupt or missing" after formatting partition. partition formated it the computer restarts and boom quot lt Windows root gt System hal dll is corrupt or missing quot I cannot proceed any further An install windows setup is supposed to appear but instead I get this I went to microsoft com for help but needless to say their support sucks I searched the internet but to no avail What I have tried this far is opened windows recovery from CD and fixmbr chkdsk r bootcfg rebuild none of which worked What I completely don't understand is what am I even fixing I formated the Windows partition why is there an error about a missing windows file I deleted the entire OS of course it's missing I just want to clean install windows can someone help me with that Thanks

A:"<Windows root>/System32/hal.dll is corrupt or missing" after formatting partition.

I have the exact same problem except a Mac Pro, and I didn't use boot camp, I used the windows installation/boot disk to install windows after I had deleted everything on the partition that used to have windows.

Some one must know what to do. I am simply trying to install windows again after it had gotten a virus or been corrupted some other way.

I have gone to the recovery and tried bootcfg /rebuild and it just created two places I could start windows from. Even though they were named exactly the same.

And everytime as soon as I try to start in to windows I get THIS:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing
or corrupt:
<Windows root>system32\hal.dll.
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

No files should be missing because I just installed windows. And then deleted it and tried again and the same thing happened. So I figure either something is wrong with my XP disc. Or something is wrong with my hard drive in some way. Maybe simply with the partition. But I don't know, or know what to do if I did know what the problem was. So please HELP me fix it! Or I can't play PC games.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-root-system32-hal-dll-is-corrupt-or-missing-after-formatting-partition-385395.html
Relevancy 99.76%

I am getting the following error and it loops: "file is missing or corrupt windows root system32 hal.dll"

When I try and run the windows cd and either wipe or repair the error it tells me that the "the setup did not find hard drive disks"
Now I am thinking the hard drive is defective?? Or do I have a virus???

thanks for all your help

Relevancy 99.33%

when i start my cpu it says <windows root> System32\NTOSKRNL.EXE is missing or corrupt got a recovery disk but wont load and when in boot menu or set up menu keyboard does not work and system restore wont load i just need to get my files off that cpu can anyone help fyi i have a compaq sr102 had it about 5 years with windows xp home edition

A:System32\NTOSKRNL.EXE is missing or corrupt

If you just need the files then take out the hard drive and put it into another PC or put it into an external enclosure and connect it to another PC. You can also boot with a boot disc like Symantec Ghost, Linux Live or a BartPE cd and get the files that way.

This is assuming the drive is still working properly.

Can you explain in a little more detail about the issues with the recovery disc and keyboard? Also, be aware that using a recovery disc will generally delete all of the date off the drive before doing the recovery.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/system32-ntoskrnl-exe-is-missing-or-corrupt.159580/
Relevancy 98.04%

I have read several posts about this problem, but I have not seen any solutions yet. My Athlon Thunderbird 2.2 just went into the super slow crash mode like the ones already talked about on these posts. Upon restart I went through boot up process until it gave me DOS message that this particular file was missing or corrupted. Then I used recovery CD to try and repair file. It goes through the correct process right up to th step of going to the repair console, but then jumps to another screen telling me that this is a not a valid file. But I have not even been given the chance to enter a file name in the repair console. Somebody help me, I am lost now.

A:missing or corrupt \system32\ntoskrnl.exe file

There are any number of causes of the problem including system hardware.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000646.htm

You can rule out most physical hardware issues (other than the drive itself) by booting to something like Puppy Linux or Ultmate Bootdisk.

http://www.puppylinux.com/

http://www.ubcd4win.com/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/missing-or-corrupt-system32-ntoskrnl-exe-file.703836/
Relevancy 97.18%

Hello every one I couldn t find the proper topic catagory to missing or Windowsroot>/system32>/ntoskrnl.exe file corrupt post Windowsroot>/system32>/ntoskrnl.exe file missing or corrupt this in so sorry for spamming this one Feel free to move it into the proper one tho Alright so I Recently Toke apart my computer to move it into a new case and after I put it all back together I Windowsroot>/system32>/ntoskrnl.exe file missing or corrupt am getting Two errors The most Seen error that I can only somtimes get past is on the POST screen It says at the very bottom that the Floppy disc s Failed and then at the top it says PS Can t remember what it said after this somthing about a my mouse and keyboard Then the only way I can get past the POST screen My keyboard and mouse won t work so I can t hit F or F to setup or continue is by Unplugging my power source and taking the reserve battery out of the MoBo So after I do this and turn it back on I get Windowsroot gt system gt ntoskrnl exe file missing or corrupt Please reinstall the above file Well it s hard to do so since it thinks my Floppy drive has failed and I cant press any thing on my keyboard for the command Prompt Someone please help me out Edit my computer is a Hp Pavilion A N Model Every thing but the power supply and Graphics card is stock Power supply is a BFG watt and the card is a BFG OC nbsp

A:Windowsroot>/system32>/ntoskrnl.exe file missing or corrupt

Hi

sounds like you have screwed the motherboard whilst moving it,. or you have short somewhere, remove the motherboard and check that none of the metal support posts are touching the board anywhere.

Floppy disk fail, you have the cable plugged in the wrong way either in the mobo or in the floppy drive.

NTOSKRNL>EXE missing is a messed up OS and may require a reinstall of the OS, however do a google on the term and there are several thousand pages on the subject.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windowsroot-system32-ntoskrnl-exe-file-missing-or-corrupt.109203/
Relevancy 95.03%

i have just put a new processor in my pc, but since then when i come to boot up i get the message:
windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe.
please re-install a copy of the above file

i have tried to put my xp disc in to do a repair on start up, it asks me to hit any key as normal to boot from the disc but when i do the screen just goes blank???
does anyone have any ideas what i can do?
thanks

A:<windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe.

http://www.ozzu.com/ftopic24580.html

try there for a solution

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-root-system32-ntoskrnl-exe-138069.html
Relevancy 95.03%

Hello I have a serious problem and hope you can help me Brief history Working on Evesham AMD Athlon tm GHz Windows XP home version SP GB of RAM GB Harddrive days ago I left the PC on over night in the morning i had a black screen tellling me it could not boot up After tries it did but was extremely slow in loading Then message appeared the system had recovered from a serious error I ran anti spy ware AVG anti virus defragmented registry cleaner system restore to no avail It takes ages to load any programme and even to shut it down Message that came up is as above windows root gt systems ntoskrnl exe is missing or corrrupt reinstal copy root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe windows of file I have read a number of threads here windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe in the forum but windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe they all deal with restoring the file from a windows XP disk I only received a recovery disk from the manufacturer and have no idea how to go about it Starting in safe mode is no option as I have a wireless keyboard and mouse so cant move the cursor arrows up or down in the safe mode screen Would be really grateful if anyone could help writing to you from Belgium Thank you Tink

A:windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

Something similar happened to me last week. Windows Vista woudn't boot (totally blank screen). Unplug it, plug it back in, reboot, bluescreen comes up with an "Unrecoverable Hardware Error". Unplug, plug again, reboot, boot, login, half an hour later same bluescreen.

It turns out I had a failing hard drive. I ran every possible test before I replaced it except for ones that used the HD and they all passed. I replaced it, works fine now.

Another symptom of a failing HD are files randomly going missing or corrupt. I'm not entirely sure this is your problem though, considering you managed to boot and run a few sweeps, however if you do have a failing hard drive the best thing to do is to not use it to prevent further damage. Google "Ubuntu Recovery Remix" for more information.

On another note, one other obvious problem I see is the registry cleaner. I suggest you read the announcement about them here.

EDIT: I Googled the file. The first result that came up might help you, but be careful. A few days ago I had someone try to repair the boot.ini file and somehow he screwed up and now there's six copies laying around his HD for no reason. He can boot now, but still..

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-root-system32-ntoskrnl-exe-372654.html
Relevancy 95.03%

when my computer starts it says it is missing this file. also it is taking me a long time to type this & my cursor moves very sporatically.please help i am using windows xp on a dell inspiron E1505. PLZ HELP

can someone please help I start up my laptop and it says it is missing the above file, I have tried everything but when it finally boots up the cursor does not move the way it is supposed to (if i move to the left, it goes to right) and when i type it takes me forever to type something. right now i am adding this from my PC. please help my notebook is an dell inspiron E1505 running window xp media center edition.

i hate to reformat it!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/388531/windows-rootsystem32ntoskrnlexe/
Relevancy 95.03%

Hello all

I'm new to this site and in need of some help. I returned from holiday booted up the PC and got the following message:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt
<Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe please install a copy of the above file"

I have a 2-3 year old Sony Vaio desktop VGC-VA1 which comes pre-installed with the operating system software and so has no original disks. I created both a System and Application Recovery disk in line with the set-up instructions but am wary of restoring the system back to factory settings and wiping the hard disk.

I'm out of warranty and can't seem to get past the error message to access other parts of the system.

Any advice on how I should proceed?

Many thanks in advance

A:<Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

I read over this thread: http://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?t=74955&highlight=missing+corrupt+ntoskrnl.exe

I was going to paste the "Expand d:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ C:\Windows\System32"
But I believe the entire thread is useful

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-root-system32-ntoskrnl-exe.111483/
Relevancy 95.03%

Whenever I boot up my computer I get the following error:

<Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

I have read the other threads and tried booting from the XP disc, but I cannot even boot from the disk, this error pops up after the loading HP screen. Please Help!

Thanks.

well go to the BIOS screen by tapping "Delete" or F1 find the category where u can see three ways to boot u can set the first one to boot from CD

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-root-system32-ntoskrnl-exe-400095.html
Relevancy 95.03%

Getting this message on my laptop, it wants me to "re-install" a copy of this file in order to access my laptop. Can't get anything but a "blue" screen. Was told by a relative to "google" search a copy of this file, (on my other working computer), download it to a cd and then load that cd into my laptop and all should run fine. What should I do? Thanks

A:<Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe.

If you get an error that NTOSKRNL not found:

Insert and boot from your WindowsXP CD.
At the first R=Repair option, press the R key
Press the number that corresponds to the correct location for the installation of Windows you want to repair.
Typically this will be #1
Change to the drive that has the CD ROM.
CD i386
expand ntkrnlmp.ex_ C:\Windows\System32\ntoskrnl.exe
If WindowsXP is installed in a different location, just make the necessary change to C:\Windows
Take out the CD ROM and type exit

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-root-system32-ntoskrnl-exe.371585/
Relevancy 95.03%

Hello Advisors,
I have a HP EliteBook 693p running XP. All of a sudden the user says the followinf error page came up while she was work on it.

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or currupt:

Should I do a repair with a install disc?

Here is Microsoft's suggestion on repairing this issue:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/124550Jeff

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/418098/windows-rootsystem32ntoskrnlexe/
Relevancy 95.03%

I have a Windows XP Toshiba Satellite and I shut down. When I started up again, I had a black screen then it came up with the following error:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing
or corrupt:

When I press any key at that point, the computer restarts with the same results.
If anyone knows how I can fix this without erasing my programs, wiping the hard drive, returning to original factory settings, etc. please help.

Much appreciated,
~D

Repair

You put in the Windows XP CD/DVD (if you're lucky, you'll have one) and boot from it. At the second R option, press R. Follow instructions. If you do it right, it won't erase anything. Disclaimer: I do not accept any responsibility for anything that may happen. Use the info at your own risk!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-root-system32-ntoskrnl-exe.155847/
Relevancy 95.03%

I do not know much about PC's and have been told that I need to get to the recovery console to fix the following message: " Windows could not start because of the following file is missing or corrupt: <Windows root>/system32/ntoskrnl.exe. Please re-install a copy of the above file. " I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop that was given to me about six months ago. It seems that this occurred after a hard reboot from one of my kids and now can't get past this message screen. If I hit any key, the computer reboots? I do not know how to get to the 'recovery console'. Please help if possible. Thank you.

A:<Windows root>/system32/ntoskrnl.exe

Do you have Dell CDs which accompanied the system?

Basic reference: http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?docid=DSN_173237&isLegacy=true#Issue2

If the XP Recovery Console is already installed...try hitting the F11 key at boot. If you can access the RC, I suggest trying the chkdsk /r command first.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/446028/windows-rootsystem32ntoskrnlexe/
Relevancy 95.03%

ok went to turn my laptop on and got the windows root system ntoskrnl exe is currupt or missing and needs to be root/system32/ntoskrnl.exe Need windows bad, help reinstalled somethin like that anyways i did this Insert the Microsoft Windows XP CD Note If Need help bad, windows root/system32/ntoskrnl.exe you have a recovery CD or a restore CD and not a Microsoft Windows XP CD it is likely the below steps will not resolve your issue Reboot the computer as the computer is starting you should see a message to press any key to boot from the CD When you see this message press any key In the Microsoft Windows XP setup menu press the R key to enter the recovery console Select the operating system you wish to fix and then enter the administrator password Type expand d i ntoskrnl ex c windows system after i did this code it said access denied and could never get to step or You will then be prompted if you wish to overwrite the file type Y and press enter to overwrite the file Type exit to reboot the computer I need this laptop fixed it has all of my files on it AHHH nbsp

A:Need help bad, windows root/system32/ntoskrnl.exe

Ii would NOT run the Recovery Console unless you are already experienced in it.

What I would do is run the regular Windows R for repair mode. If you get the Recovery Console, get out of it and start over.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-bad-windows-root-system32-ntoskrnl-exe.110278/
Relevancy 95.03%

Hi I m sorry to be going over old ground with this thread but none of the previous ones have covered this exactly At start up I get the following message quot Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt lt windows root gt system ntoskrnl exe Please re-install a copy of the above file quot I don t have an XP system disc System restore doesn t work All diagnostic tests come back clear apart root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe <windows from occasionally I get an error message saying there is no keyboard attached I have tried using a USB and Ps keyboard I have a copy of the corrupt file on cd but cannot get <windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe my PC to even start in Safe mode with the command prompt to copy the file over If this is the end of the line for this OS is there a way I can retrieve my data from the HD Many thanks in advance for any help you can offer nbsp

A:<windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

as far as getting the data off the drive, pics, documents and such, u can put the hard drive in an external USB case and just drag and drop them to another computer. as far as putting that file where it should be, I am not going into that as I would screw u're system up more.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-root-system32-ntoskrnl-exe.107132/
Relevancy 95.03%

Whenever I boot up my computer I get the following error:

I have read the other threads and tried booting from the XP disc, but I cannot even boot from the disk, this error pops up after the loading HP screen. Please Help!

Thanks.

sounds like you need to enter the bios, to set the cd as first boot device
generally press DEL or F2 key during initial bootup then find the boot device order and change to make cd first device hdd 2nd

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-root-system32-ntoskrnl-exe.847817/
Relevancy 95.03%

Hi. My laptop - ACER 2026 wlmi doesnt work and I need your help. its asking me to install this system32/ ntoskrnl.exe but i cant go in to install something. I pressed all F and dont come anything just the logo and again the same system32. Can somebody help me?
Thank you,
Alexandra

A:windows root/system32/ntoskrnl

Have you tried hitting Alt+F10 when you see your splash screen to try and recover from your hidden partition?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-root-system32-ntoskrnl-377135.html
Relevancy 94.17%

I have a Dell Latitude D600. Last year I had the hard drive and disc drive replaced. Now I get the message to re-install <windows root>\sysem32\ntoskrnl.exe. I can't get my computor to run the windows disc to re-install the software. I have tried starting my computor in "safe mode", that doesn't get me anywhere, I have tried starting my computor to the last know configeration where everything worked, that doesn't work. I have tried pressing the windows key and R to get the computor to run the disc, that doesn't work. How am I supposed to re-install the file? I am really a dummy when it comes to this stuff....... so the easiest explanation would be appreciated. Like "step by step" directions. LOL Thanks so much to anyone who will HELP!!!!

A:Please reinstall <windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

"Last year I had the hard drive and disc drive replaced"

Who did this for you? Are you trying to re-install XP from a Dell CD?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/please-reinstall-windows-root-system32-ntoskrnl-exe.179122/
Relevancy 94.17%

I need help I am not tech savvy but work as a writer. My computer has failed after a power outage/surge. I get the error as inidcated on the titel of this message.I use windows xp.Problem is a friend borrowed my cd and I am not able to reach this friend besides even if i could hold of this friend my cd/dvd reader is not funtioning well so I can repair Windows xp.I have lots of important documents on my computer including articles and school work.Fortunately, I have another PC that I can use but need to recover the data but have no idea how to go about it.Icannot access my desktop nor reset to last known good configurations everything stops at the above error message and that I have to ' insert the disk and repair it'. Thanks for your help.

A:<windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl\.exe. error

If both your systems are desktops, take the hard drive out of the bad one and hook it up as a secondary drive in your good one. This way you can get access to your files. Otherwise you can buy a device which plugs up laptop or desktop hard drives to your system USB port to access files. They are not expensive. www.newegg.com

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-root-system32-ntoskrnl-exe-error-388972.html
Relevancy 93.74%

XP Pro, 256 ram,

Whild downloading the machine rebooted by itelf, started to run chekdisk, Stoped the displayed this message.

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt.
Windows root\system32\hal.dll.

I found the microsoft explanation but it makes no sense as it says this only hapens if you upgrade from 98. not aplicable as it was a clean xp install or

"You install Windows XP on a hard disk that does not have an operating system installed on it."

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320252

but ive had xp on it for months and its been fine.

just whanted to see if any one has come accross this before.?

Relevancy 92.88%

I have a desktop computer and before windows boots i am receiving this error code <window root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe. it is telling me to overcome this problem I must put in the windows cd which i don't have and cannot get my hands on to run the windows recovery console is there a way around this problem please.

A:error code windows root \system32\ntoskrnl.exe.

Download/install BlueScreenView, http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html .Double-click BlueScreenView.exe file.When autoscan is done (screen comes up), click Edit/Select All...then File/Save Selected Items.Save the report as BSOD.txt.Open BSOD.txt, copy all content and paste it into your next reply.Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/441035/error-code-windows-root-system32ntoskrnlexe/
Relevancy 92.88%

Hi there. I am having a problem with my Toshiba...model number PSAA5U-01Y010. It gives me this error reading when i try to start up windows. I do not have a disk at all for windows or recovery. The guy at the place i got it from told me to hold 0 until i got a series of beeps, then a white bar would show up at the bottom of the screen and i could do a restore factory reset. Well I get the beebs and a white bar will pop up at the top for just a sec and then nothing...please help ASAP. I would be forever grateful. :-) Angela M.

A:<Windows root>/system32/ntoskrnl.exe. Toshiba Laptop

Welcome to TSF....

What is the make and model number of the computer?

Do you have the recovery disk set for the computer?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-root-system32-ntoskrnl-exe-toshiba-laptop-278722.html
Relevancy 87.72%

Hi there,

I would really appreciate some help. First, before someone says it, I have searched for this error, however, as there is no cd rom in the laptop I can't follow the instructions to fix, so I'm stumped!

My brother has a Dell Inspiron Mini 10 with XP. He is receiving the above error message on boot up. The fix appears to be to use the recovery cd? Like I say there's no cd drive on this laptop so I'm clueless as to how to fix it.

Can someone please help? Is there another way to get the system to boot?

Also is there a way to get chkdsk to run without the cd? A couple of forums said that this sometimes fixes the problem but again can't run cheksk unless I can boot the laptop.

Also does anyone know what causes this problem?

Thanks in advance.

A:missing windows root\system32\hal.dll

Well, maybe the best solution would be to find an external CD ROM drive and do chkdsk...
Otherwise, I am not sure you can fix it without entering the Recovery Console...
Lets wait to see if anyone else has a solution...

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/missing-windows-root-system32-hal-dll-411832.html
Relevancy 87.72%

a friends comp will now not boot up to windows and gives this error as a needed file. she is able to boot from d drive but doesnt want to rewrite xp as to not lose files,progs etc. what can be done to recover this file, can i put it on a floppy and give it to her and is this viral related? she has xp home and seems she cannot boot up in safemode also. also when trying to repair xp home, she gets stuck wher eit asks for the admin password, and her comp isnt setup with an admin, just user? she also removed cable select jumper in attempt to remove excess passwords, a windows suggestion.

any help much appreciated and thanks in advance.

Relevancy 87.72%

Ok on my moms's windows xp she ran a system restore and when she restarted it a message popped up saying Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <windows root>/system32.hal.dll is missing Please re-install a copy of the above file. Any help needed
THANKS VERY MUCH in advance

Relevancy 87.72%

I am not the best with computers and i have come across a problem I was using the internet and a pop up of a virus detected came up and i closed it thinking it was a virus When i was using the internet at that time i could not root>/system32/hal.dll <windows missing? open any links the window would go white and eventually the same pop up came back on I decided to run my <windows root>/system32/hal.dll missing? spyware software but the whole computer froze upon loading I then restarted my computer only to find that it was stuck on some kind of reboot loop where it <windows root>/system32/hal.dll missing? would ask my <windows root>/system32/hal.dll missing? to run in safe mode or run normally but no matter what i chose it would go to the load up screen of windows xp professional for a second and then a quick flash of a blue screen would appear and then the restarting process would begin again ive searched all over the internet to find a solution to my problem but am yet to find one if anybody could help it would be greatly appreciated nbsp

A:<windows root>/system32/hal.dll missing?

Missing Or Corrupt Hal.dll Error Resolution

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-root-system32-hal-dll-missing.887807/
Relevancy 87.72%

Is there any way to fix this problem without having cd

A:Missing <windows root>\system32\hal.dll.

Depends on what's causing it. If it's caused by a missing boot loader file or a corrupt MBR, you can boot with a substitute media that has the 3 necessary files for booting and it will allow access to the system for possibly making repairs. The boot media will need to be formatted on a ntfs system and contain the three files ntldr, ntdetect.com and boot.ini. I can offer a link for creating such media if you need it.

Otherwise, if the error is caused by some major error in the system files beyond the bootloader area, then you may need the install CD. It could be that the hal.dll file is missing but that's not usually the case.

That is not to say you couldn't get an iso file from the internet and make a Recovery Console boot CD which would allow you to boot to the RC and make repairs but that would depend on your abilities and if you knew where to make such repairs.

BTW, if you are getting that message when using the boot media I offered in the other post of your other thread ( http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/976050-pc-doctor-needed-2.html#post7778423 ), that's a common message when you choose the wrong partition from the initial menu it presents. In your case, you should be choosing the 1st partition of the 1st hard drive. (I think) If you get the message from all choices, then you have a system problem that will require an install CD or RC boot CD as I stated earlier.

If this is the same computer and same problem, you should keep it all in the original thread, lest you lose track of who said what and perhaps lose the interest of your helpers.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/missing-windows-root-system32-hal-dll.976108/
Relevancy 87.72%

I get the message 99% of the time.....occasionally I get the 'press any key' to boot from cd and can get to the recovery console.
When I was able to get into the recovery console...I tried chkdsk /r and it stopped at 75% then back to 50% then back to 75% then in seconds was at 100%.
Once I was in recovery console, I tried fixboot, but it didn't help. I exited and now I can't get the darn Xp cd to boot again.

A:<windows Root> System32\hal.dll Is Missing

How old is your HD. The "hal" message is usually an indication that the computer is having difficulty reading the boot HD. This can be because you have recently been installing other dual OS's, for example, or a dying HD.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/82106/system32haldll-is-missing/
Relevancy 87.72%

I need a little help fixing my aunt s computer It was running fine yesterday then after a windows update her computer started showing <Windows Root>\System32\hal.dll missing is the error lt Windows Root gt System hal dll is missing Please replace the file Click to expand when she turned on her computer Not sure on the exact wording Anyways it s an HP computer with Windows XP Home and it already has system recovery on it so I don t need to <Windows Root>\System32\hal.dll is missing use the XP installation cd When I go to system recovery it shows two options D MiniNT C Windows Click to expand I ve tried different things on both installations but nothing works When I run CHKDSK it says one or more errors found I ve tried using my xp installation cd and replacing the hal dll file using Code expand d i hal dl c windows system hal dll but <Windows Root>\System32\hal.dll is missing that didn t work When I typed Code bootcfg list however it said that no windows installations could be found I also tried Code fixboot and it said it made a new partition boot sector The computer still won t work Now I m stuck and I don t know what else to do nbsp

Relevancy 87.29%

Hello all!!

Got "<windows root>\system 32\ntoskrnl.exe is missing" message after the last Windows Update.

My laptop
HP DV1660SE running XP
Bought as a demo unit from BB 2 years ago...No recovery discs, and no Windows disc

Have tried all of the <F10> features. Nothing will allow it to boot.

I just purchased an Extrenal HDD adapter to allow me to scan the laptop's drive through this PC. This PC isrunning XP Pro, and I can get into the laptop drive.

I looked at the laptop's Windows folder to findthe System32 folder so that I could copy the good file from this PC, but there is no System32 folder.

Can someone steer me in the right direction here? I am hoping it will be as easy as copying the good file from this PC to the laptop HDD and rebooting....

A:<windows root>\system 32\ntoskrnl.exe is missing

Try tapping on F11 (instead of F10) when HP logo appears. If that does not help, you would need an XP Pro install CD to fix. If you want to copy from a PC, make sure folder options is set to SHOW hidden folders (AFAIK by default the System32 is a hidden folder).

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-root-system-32-ntoskrnl-exe-is-missing-356833.html
Relevancy 87.29%

My Dell Latitude D530 is missing the file <windows root>\system 32\ntoskrnl.exe and will not boot. I can not boot into safe mode and when i boot from my windows installation cd the only option i have is to reformat the Hard drive. This happened after running the program CCleaner.

I can't figure out any way to get to a command prompt to replace the file, it is not an option in my boot menu or when I boot from the windows CD.

Any help would be so appreciated.

Hi heyduke1

It's highly unlikely that CCleaner had anything to do with it. I've used CCleaner in my repair business for six or seven years now, and I've never had any problems with it. CCleaner does not remove kernel files.

Much more likely, you have either a malware infection (or the results of a malware infection that has been partially cleaned), or a hardware misconfiguration or failure.

At the very least, it's possible that your XP boot files have been compromised.

If you don't have backups of valuable data on the hard drive -- if you or a friend has a bootable Live CD, boot your PC with that, and make backups of your data onto removable media. (LiveCDs that can do this: Knoppix, UBCD, UBCD4Win, Ubuntu ... there are many others). Or pull the hard drive & use another computer to save the files. Scan the files for malware, too, to keep from infecting the helper PC or from re-infecting your system when the files are later restored.

Here's Microsoft's Troubleshooter for your repair --- if you're lucky, a run of bootcfg in the Recovery Console might fix things (but read the whole article and see what repair seems best for your situation) --- http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314477

Best of luck
. . . Gary

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-root-system-32-ntoskrnl-exe-is-missing-448554.html
Relevancy 87.29%

I need help this file is missing !! and I can't start my laptop or do anything at all!

Hi Justin,
Do you have an XP installation disc? If so, insert the disc and boot up from it. (You will need to change your boot order in BIOS to do this.) After Windows setup runs, press R to enter the Recovery Console and press the number option for your installation of Windows. This is usually option 1. At the DOS prompt, change to your windows/system32 directory and type expand X:/i386/ntoskrnl.ex_ (where X is the drive letter for your CD drive) and press return. When the file is copied, reboot and change the boot order back to floppy as first boot device, then save the change and reboot. Let me know how you get on.
Regards,
Pilot.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-root-system-32-ntoskrnl-exe-is-missing-171624.html
Relevancy 86.86%

Powered down xp one night- removed power cord -to bring USB back to life
(forum suggestion) now windows xp hangs up on starting. Tried 2 different boot disks. wont START.. XP boot disk says re-install missing
windows root\system32\hal.dll

how do I get that file....AND how do I install it ►► if I cant get the computer to turn on..!!!!

thxs

A:XP won't Startup | missing windows root\system32\hal.dll

Whats the make/model of the system?

Please clarify a little more. Are you saying that Windows will not load with the hal.dll error or are you saying that the system will not turn on.

The fix for the hal.dll issue is this.
Make sure that you habe the BIOS set to boot from CD first.
Boot from your CD and follow the directions to start Recovery Console.
Then type the following hitting ENTER after each line

Attrib -H -R -S C:\Boot.ini
DEL C:\Boot.ini
BootCfg /Rebuild
Fixboot

Restart

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/397135/xp-wont-startup-missing-windows-rootsystem32haldll/
Relevancy 86.86%

My computer won't start, it says it is missing the following file

windows root\system32\hal.dll,

how can I reinstall it because when I press any key the computer reboots.

I do not have the original disk because windows xp was already installed when I brought the computer.

Thank you for any (not too technical) help.

A:Missing file> windows root\system32\hal.dll

Hello and Welcome to TSF

Your going to need a XP cd in order to fix this issue. Can you borrow a friends?

If you get an error regarding a missing or corrupt hal.dll file, it might simply be the BOOT.INI file on the root of the C: drive that is misconfigured.

Here's what to do:

1. Insert and boot from your Windows XP CD.
2. At the first R=Repair option, press the R key
3. Press the number that corresponds to the correct location for the installation of Windows you want to repair.
4. Typically this will be #1
5. Type bootcfg /list to show the current entries in the BOOT.INI file
6. Type bootcfg /rebuild to repair it
7. Take out the CD ROM and type exit

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/missing-file-windows-root-system32-hal-dll-239781.html
Relevancy 86.86%

My computer has been working great until this morning.

When I started my DELL Dimension computer I could not start Windows.

- Dell Dimension 8400.
- Pentium 4 Processor
- Microsoft XP Home Edition
- 160 GB SATA RAID Hard Drives
- DVD and CD Drives
- Surround Sound

The message I get is...

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt <Windows Root>\System32\hal.dll. Please reinstall the file."

I tried each of of the options including " Last Known Good Configuration" but I get the same result: "Windows could not start..."

I have redundant hard drives that appear to be functioning ok on start-up so my data should be safe.

I have the Dell reinstall CD for Windows XP (service pack 2) if I need to access the specified file from the disk

Please advise what steps I can take to resolve this issue.

Thanks for the help!
EDO

A:Help! Missing File: <Windows Root>\System32\hal.dll

Insert your xp cd and boot from it.

Let it load up when you see a screen that has a list of options and Hit R to enter recovery console is one of them do it.

You should see your OS there, hit 1 and push enter.

Type the admin password in.

Type expand d:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32

d: should be the letter of your cd drive and c: should be ur os drive.

If it asks to overwrite the file type y and hit enter.

When thats done remove the disc and type exit, your machine will reboot.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/help-missing-file-windows-root-system32-hal-dll-590884.html
Relevancy 86.86%

Windows cannot start. This happened after trying to install Spybot....

The message appearing on the screen says:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
Please re-install a copy of the above file."

We just bought this Dell Dimension 8400 about 8 months ago. It is running Windows XP Media Center.

On the phone with Dell all morning yesterday, and they said our hard disk has crashed and they need to send someone out to install a new one. The customer Service Center in India was shut down due floods.....on hold forever and ever.
We are wondering if the diagnosis is even correct.

Does this error message indicate that the hard disk has crashed?

Will I be able to recover my data on it, if so?

A:File missing<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.....WHAT TO DO?

HAve you tried downloading the dll that is supposed to be corrupt and replacing the defective one?http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_haldll_missing.htmThis might help.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/27199/file-missingsystem32haldllwhat-to-do/
Relevancy 86.86%

my window root stystem 32 hal.dll. is corrupt. an d i eill like to install it free.

A:Missing <windows root>\system32\hal.dll file

**Please note: You will need a Windows XP CD for this exercise**

Insert a Windows XP CD into your CD/DVD drive.
Restart your computer.
It should now be booting off your Windows XP disc.
If it doesn't boot off the CD. Follow the steps below:
Change boot order in BIOSWhen your computer is starting up tap the Del key and until you enter the Bios, when in Bios click on Boot order and change it to : CD/DVD
Hard Drive (HDD)
Floppy

Then save and exit Bios (Your computer should now be restarting)

While it is booting off the disk you should get a prompt to Press R to enter recovery Console, Press R.

Press 1 to log onto Windows then press Enter. You will need the administrative password to get into to command prompt. If the administrator password was blank press enter.

Type into the command prompt : chkdsk /r and press Enter. When the Disc Check is complete type in Exit and press enter. Remove the Windows XP CD.

Windows should start up normally now.

Please post back with any concerns or problems.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/missing-windows-root-system32-hal-dll-file-232797.html
Relevancy 86.86%

I am having problems with my computer and the message lt <windows file Missing root>\system32\hal.dll windows root gt system hal dll file missing or corrupt I have tried several of the posts on this site and none of them have worked I have an E-machines T and WinXP home edition came installed in Missing <windows root>\system32\hal.dll file it I don't want to use the disks that came with the computer since that will clean everything off my hard drive There are files and pictures on the hard drive that I don't want to lose I have learned my lesson that data must be backed up frequently I do not have a WinXP CD but I have downloaded the disk set from Windows and tried to run the repair console from that I get to the repair option and select it It does not give ask about any installation location It takes me to c gt and I can type in basic commands I tried following the help posted at http xphelpandsupport mvps org how ing or cor htm and was not successful When I entered bootcfg list it came back with No boot entries available to display I proceeded to the next step and entered bootcfg rebuild The error that came back was Failed to successfully scan disks for windows installations may be corrupt file system which would prevent bootcfg from successfully scanning Use chkdsk to detect any disk errors I ran Chkdsk and it stopped at complete and had an error message That message was The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems I thought I could copy boot ini from A to C so I tried Dir C That message was An error occurred during directory enumeration I can see the bad drive when I slave it to another computer When I try to look at it using explorer it comes up with the disk is not formatted would I like to I am at a loss as to what to do and would appreciate any help you can offer Thanks

A:Missing <windows root>\system32\hal.dll file

how many hard drives and/or partitions do you have ?

also i would read these articles : 1 2

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/missing-windows-root-system32-hal-dll-file-65885.html
Relevancy 86.43%

Please help! I have not found any instructions that have helped me so far. I am receiving this error msg when I turn my computer on: "Windows 2000 could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <windows 2000 root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe. Please re-install a copy of the above file."

Please point me in the right direction to fix this. I tried using my Windows 2K disc 1 CD, tried starting in safe (and other) modes- nothing has worked.

I am using Windows 2000 Professional.

A:Win 2K root\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

I have a tip for fixing it with XP and the Recover Console. The steps are pretty much the same for Windows2000.

http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#ntoskrnl

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/win-2k-root-system32-ntoskrnl-exe.118139/
Relevancy 86%

I have a HP...I am missing the file <windows root>\system32\hal.dll.. I have been told that I can reinstall my whole windows operating system with a bootdisk and replace any damaged or corrupt files with this. I went to a friend and they gave me a bootdisk for Windows ME. My computer is (was) operating on XP. I can put my floppy in and I get an A: prompt. I dont know where to go from there. Will this even work anyway? I cannot access anything on my computer. Nothing will start. I am suspecting a virus....please help!!!

Relevancy 86%

My Toshiba s5200 701 crashed today.

Windows shows this error:

+windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: windows root system32/hal.dll+
+please re install it.+

First, this Toshiba is an European model and I am living in the USA.
Second, the model is old.
Third, I do not have the XP CD to reinstal the operating system.

I do not know if it is worthy to purchase a new XP Professional for this computer.

Any ideas, suggestions. Please advise.

Jose

A:Satellite 5200-701 windows root system32/hal.dll missing

Hi

I read about such issues?
You will need to reinstall the OS but it could be also possible that this error is related to faulty HDD and/or RAM.
Many uses got this error again after new OS installation and in different cases the RAM or HDD was affected as well.

What to say; it?s your decision what you want to do... I would recommend reinstalling the Win XP once again in order to check if this issue is related only to missing hal.dll in system32 folder.
At the other hand the Win XP licence is not expensive because Win 7 is on the market and nobody want to use "old" OS which will be discontinued in the next couple of years...

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?61950-Satellite-5200-701-windows-root-system32-hal-dll-missing
Relevancy 85.57%

And that just for starters! I am trying to get back up and running. It would bootup to loading drivers in normal and safe mode then would "blue screen". After several attempts I have managed to stop the "Blue screen". I Then got, can not start XP, (<Widows Root> \system 32\hal.dll missing or corrupt). After going to MS and trying there fix, I now get an error message about (\min int\system32\config\system) being the cause of not booting.

This a Dell Computer, Windows XP Pro, Raid, I can get it into the norton system restore program but it does not give me the option of just restoring the O/S It is a destructive recovery only. That is a Last resort option. Any help would be great! I have an Original Dell XP Pro sp2 CD.

A:Missing or corrupt <windows root>\system 32\hal.dll

Perhaps this will help?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/missing-or-corrupt-windows-root-system-32-hal-dll.860742/
Relevancy 85.57%

Two out of Four times I last started my computer I got a black screen with message saying: Windows root system ex 32 is missing or corrupt. Both times I just turned my computer off. The other two times every things fine. I'm a beginner and I get confused real easy. Boy that was hard to write! Please help.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/missing-or-corrupt-windows-root-system-32.267920/
Relevancy 85.57%

Two out of Four times I last started my computer I got a black screen with message saying: Windows root system ex 32 is missing or corrupt. Both times I just turned my computer off. The other two times every things fine. I'm a beginner and I get confused real easy. Boy that was hard to write! Please help.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/missing-or-corrupt-windows-root-system-32.267920/
Relevancy 85.57%

Okay, I have looked around to try and find a topic that fit my situation, but I didn't really find anthing that helped me...

I have access to another computer, but on the computer that is getting that error message I do not have the XP disk to boot from or anything to actually get Windows to come up.

So I believe all I need to do is reinstall that file correct? If so...where can I find it, and how do I get the computer to bring up Windows so that I CAN reinstall it?

Any help would be appreciated!! Please help me out..

Relevancy 85.14%

Hi
computer started to restart on own many times. Finally got it to stay on and did virus scan,ect. Went to start again and error message read:

windows root system32 ntoskrnl.exe is corrupt. What to do???

Appreciate any help you can give.

Running windows xp home edition

Thanks
Meggie O

A:XP Window root system32 ntoskrnl.exe

Put in the XP CD. Choose R for repair.

At the DOS prompt try Fixmbr and Fixboot commands.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-window-root-system32-ntoskrnl-exe.260768/
Relevancy 85.14%

hi,,.,.

when i come to boot up i get the message
my windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe.
please re-install a copy of the above file

i have tried to put my xp bootable disc, but keyboard is not working,,
i tried many keyboards but its not working

plz plz plz plz plz help me how i repair windows without my keyboard
or
tell me another solution,.,.,.(try to understand my problem, my english is not so good,.,)

A:<window root>/system32/ntoskrnl.exe

I would say try a Last Known Good Configuration, but since your keyboard doesn't work, I don't believe you will be able to get to that menu.

Although, maybe it works before Windows actually loads.

On startup, continuously tap F8 until it brings you to a menu, from that menu, please choose Last Known Good Configuration. See if that helps.

Also, here is a pretty explanation of the problem and some solutions to it. See if any help . .
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000646.htm

-Coolfreak

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/window-root-system32-ntoskrnl-exe-270553.html
Relevancy 85.14%

This morning upon trying to boot up my computer I was greeted with an error message stating the system 32 file hal.dll was damaged or missing and windows could not start. I have the same error even if I try to boot in safe mode.

I'm able to get the computer to boot up if I choose "last know good configuration" but whenever I turn it on again I still get the same problem. Last night I did install some updates from windows so my best guess if something went wrong with those.

I'd appreciate some help in fixing this issue. I have Windows XP CD that came with the computer but I would really prefer to repair the problem rather than reinstalling entirely and having to reinstall everything.

Here is some information on my computer:
Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.120504-1619)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 2046MB RAM

A:Computer can't boot up-<windows root>\system32\hal.dll damaged or missing

If you read this -> How to start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature in Windows XP that should have 'fixed' most problems related to startup (if it works).

So, something is amiss.

How about a System Restore to sometime a week ago or so?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/computer-cant-boot-up-windows-root-system32-hal-dll-damaged-or-missing-655059.html
Relevancy 84.71%

Hello Everyone!

I am trying to recover an IMB t23 notebook computer. This notebook comes with the recovery data preloaded in the computer. After starting the computer, I am to press F11 to start the recovery process. Everything goes fine until the Windows 2000 Pro OS is supposed to be installed. Then, I get a message that says: missing or corrupt <windows 2000 root>system32ntoskrnl.exe

The recovery processs gets stuck here. I restarted the computer and pressed F11 several times and each time, I get stuck at this step.

I don't have an IMB recovery cd so does anyone know whether there is anything I can download from the internet that could resolve this problem?

Thank you very much in advance!!

Relevancy 81.27%

I have a Compac Presario 2100 when i attempt to start up it give a message that the <Windows>\system 32\ntoskrnl.exe file is missing or corrupt. Best Buy sold me the laptop and I do not have the original software on CDs. How can I get the required file restored when I can not even get the blasted thing to run?

A:missing or corrupt <windows>\system 32\ntoskrnl

Is this a brand new machine?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/415174/missing-or-corrupt-windowssystem-32ntoskrnl/
Relevancy 81.27%

My Dell laptop started giving me this problem after my most recent update. I followed the directions I read about at <windows root>\system 32\ntoskrnl.exe is missing

I was successfully able to overwrite my bad ntoskrnl.exe with the one from the CD, but I'm still getting the same problem. Please help me. Thank you!

A:Windows can't start because ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupt

It's an Inspiron 6000 if that helps.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-cant-start-because-ntoskrnl-exe-is-missing-or-corrupt-550264.html
Relevancy 81.27%

I am having a problem with my IBM Thinkpad laptop I JUST finished getting rid of a virus and within a few hours encountered a new problem I turned off my computer Missing not ntoskrnl.exe Corrupt will or XP cd boot AND Windows to do an automatic update and left Missing or Corrupt ntoskrnl.exe AND Windows XP cd will not boot it to do it s job I didn t realize that my AC chord had come lose and midway through the update my computer died Now when I try to turn it on I get this error message Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt Windows root gt System Ntoskrnl exe Please re-install a copy of the above file I ve had this problem before and just did a repair with a windows install cd Only this time the cd won t boot Neither will the other two copies of it my dad has It just spins a few times clicks a few times then gives up and gives me the error message again I have tried making the CD drive boot first but that didn t work either Thank you in advance for your help nbsp

A:Missing or Corrupt ntoskrnl.exe AND Windows XP cd will not boot

if your cd rom is set to boot in your bios, and it tries to access the disk and you hear clicking noises, your cd rom drive may be bad. depending on what brand of computer it is, most of them have a boot option right when you turn on the computer, it normally states "press F11 / F12" for boot menu

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/missing-or-corrupt-ntoskrnl-exe-and-windows-xp-cd-will-not-boot.907273/