Windows Support Forum

Two external hard drives doesn't like me anymore.

Q: Two external hard drives doesn't like me anymore.

I have two external hard drives

Western Digital Extreme Lighted WDXC3200JBRNN 320GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache USB 2.0 / IEEE 1394a External Hard Drive
Western Digital My Book Essential WDG1U5000N 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache USB 2.0 External Hard Drive

I find it hard to believe that both hard drives would not work, at the same time on me on my laptop. My 320GB gives me a "Device not recognize" error, while my 500GB just won't do anything besides the power light being on.

I find it very hard to believe that both drives would go out on me at the exact same time. I have no way of taking them out and testing them, and I have no extra computers to test them on.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Two external hard drives doesn't like me anymore.

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 83.42%

I recently noticed an issue when trying to connect to external hard drives. Initially noted that it wasn't showing in 'my computer' and so assumed I had driver issues and sought to update them from Dell's site. After doing so there was still no change, but noted that It was appearing in 'device manager'.

I even tried updating the USB hubs from the Device Manager, and it states that they are all up-to-date with the correct drivers.

Both external hard drives that i have tried has worked on other PC's so i assume that mine is the issue.

~Dell 1525, Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit~

A:external Hard Drives doesn't show in 'My computer'

I have had a similar problem recently, where the hdd would spin up but not show in my computer.
After googling it I found that if I shut down the computer, completely not hibernate or anything, and leave it for about 30 minutes an then switch it on again.

In left mine overnight, 8 hours or so and it worked after that. My hdd worked in all the other ports, but not that one until I left it overnight.

Good luck with it.

Relevancy 74.82%

i ll give some specs of my computer first to get that out of the way p ghz asus p p e xp anymore doesn't windows see drives mainboard stripe raid system hdd windows xp pro sp i have windows installed on a raid x raptor hdd and have other hdd s and cd-roms on other ide or sata connections this morning my computer would not boot up properly an error message about winlogon exe that had something to do with a quot memory read fail quot no matter what i clicked on the message box i d get the blue screen of death no matter how i started windows safe mode last good config etc i would always get the same winlogon exe error and never be able to finish loading windows xp doesn't see drives anymore windows windows xp doesn't see drives anymore therefore not be able to check the winlogon exe file itself to try to see whats wrong i don t know what may have caused this as it was working as fine a ever last night and haven t installed changed anything for a few days even did a full virus scan days earlier and the problem suddenly came this morning when i started it after some time i felt i had to resort to booting off my xp pro cd and try the repair option there it worked and now windows works fine but i can no longer see any of my extra hdd s or cd-roms my bios is still unchanged and detects all the drives but i did check it anyways and i can still boot off cd how i did the repair or another hdd if i had something on it so i determined that the problem is with windows not seeing them i checked disk management under computer management to see if they just need to be enabled again they don t show up there at all i checked the drivers for ide controllers etc they are all up to date windows simply does not accept that there are other hdd s and cd-roms hooked up at all many important files and such are on the other drives and i also have no recognized cd-rom either now just the c drive any help would be greatly appreciated nbsp

A:windows xp doesn't see drives anymore

Have you started with the basics, Microsoft Memory Diagnostic or MEMtest86 might be a good idea. It could be as imple as bad memory, hard to say.
Relevancy 72.67%

Good morning everyone am trying to describe my issue as good as possible so please bear with me Two days ago I went into a game of League of Legends a of boot doesn't drives sudden raid are anymore, Win7 all a on the swap to the loading screen I alt tabbed which then caused a bluescreen to happen It gave me the message KERNEL DATA INPAGE ERROR and asked me to check if I have any new hard- or software with the technical information STOP x A x xFFFFFFFFC D xFFFFF x Physical memory dump FAILED with status xc Over the course Win7 doesn't boot anymore, drives are a raid all of a sudden of the Win7 doesn't boot anymore, drives are a raid all of a sudden next days I've had a few bluescreens with the same message ran CHKDSK let it fix something and then had three following popups from Marvell Event Message WARNING Physical disk is plugged out INFO Physical disk is Win7 doesn't boot anymore, drives are a raid all of a sudden plugged in WARNING Physical disk is plugged out A restart solved the issue windows wanted to do an update which is fine by me however when it tried to restart it couldn't boot the OS A look into the BIOS gave me some insight on what happened It can still find both my SSD and my HDD however all of a sudden they're in a raid At first I was able to select the RAID as a boot priority but later on even that option vanished leaving me with only the following three as boot options Removable Dev USB TDK TF My USB stick with the windows ISO ATAPI CD-ROM My question is the following Is it the Raid that appeared all of a sudden Can I somehow undo it Are my drives damaged Because they do show up when I start up my PC I have uploaded the relevant images here picsurge com - Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated if you need any additional information feel free to drop me a message here
Relevancy 72.67%

How do i fix this?

I added my specs, just in case it helps. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate , 32 bit
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3200+, x86 Family 6 Model 10 Stepping 0
Processor Count: 1
RAM: 447 Mb
Graphics Card: Standard VGA Graphics Adapter, 2 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 76216 MB, Free - 64321 MB;
Motherboard: ASUSTek Computer INC., Kelut , 2.02, MB-1234567890
Antivirus: ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4.2, Updated and Enabled

A:My SD Drive doesn't work anymore and one of my usb drives wont read.
Relevancy 72.24%

A few days ago my harddrive my WD 500gb started to be slow (even opening it cost like 10sec) and then i couldnt watch movies from my harddrive and sometimes it disconnects. And now my Windows explorerer crashes when ever i plug it in. But it works fine on my win7.

PLs help me out

A:My external harddrive doesn't work anymore

Hello timothy110 and welcome to the forums

My name is Tom and I'll be helping you with your problem.

Can you run the following for me please? All this will do is tell me a little more about your system

Download OTL to your desktop.
Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed to let it run uninterrupted.
Under the Extra Registry box change it to All.
Click the Run Scan button.
When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt.
Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the contents of these files, one at a time, and post it with your next reply.

Relevancy 71.38%

Windows doesn't mount any external drives anymore, i have to use the disk mangement tool to add a letter to the drive manually each time.

I run MacDrive (latest), if it may help.

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 sp1

Thanks for your help,

A:Win7 x64 doesn't mount external hd anymore, have to do it manually

It seems i don't understand how this foirum works. I got a mail telling me "mitchell65 has just replied to a thread you have subscribed" but i can't see it anywhere in my thread ?!

Anyway you asked : "So are these Mac Discs that you are using?"

I use both. NTFS pc drives don't show up more than Macf disks...
Relevancy 70.52%

i am going home for winter break and i wanted to take over some videos i had on my hard drive, but the problem is that it is an internal hard drive, and i want to be able to transfer the data to a laptop. Is there a way that you can turn an internal hard drive into an external hard drive? Or is there a piece of hardware that will alow me to do this?

Relevancy 70.09%

I have a 2,5" 500GB external hard-drive with a single partition (NTFS).
I can see it in the disk management utility (see attached screenshot) but it doesn't have a drive letter nor can't I assign one.

Attached to another PC running Windows XP it says "unknown partition" but also error-free and NTFS.

The problem could have been triggered by unplugging the harddrive without securely removing it.

A:Doesn't show external drive anymore but visible in the disk management

is it have files on that external hdd??

on Disk Mgmt, right click the offending disk.
Select Change drive letters and path.
Assign a drive letter.
Relevancy 69.23%

I am running Windows XP SP3 right now on a Lenovo 7650-ELU and experiencing some odd problems. For some reason, the laptop I have will not recognize USB Flash Drives that I put into it or External Hard Drives. I know that the USB ports work correctly, because I have plugged in optical mouses and keyboards that work. I searched the forums and didn't see anything like this.

It's odd how when I first insert them, it makes the sound and shows the icon in the taskbar that would allow me to safely remove the device, but nothing else. So far, I have gone into the device manager and uninstalled all the USB ports and restarted hoping this would solve my problem, but it continues to do the same thing.

If anyone has some helpful advise, please post. I appreciate all the help.

A:USB Ports Don't Recognize Flash Drives or External Hard Drives

Has it ever worked before?
Relevancy 68.37%

I set up a new computer. Windows 7 Pro 64x
Everything was fine but then I connected a flash drive to it and I get:

Location Not Available
H:\ is not accessible. Access is denied

If I go into the properties to the ?security? tab, it says ?you do not have permission to view or edit this object?s permission settings?

If I go into the ?owner? tab of Advanced Security Settings, current owner says ?Unable to display current owner?
This is on every flash drive and portable hard drive on all 4 usb ports.
I am logged in as the administrator and there is not even another user account on the computer
I?ve run sfc /scannow

I?m absolutely stumped. I?ve never had this happen on any computer where I couldn?t use an external device.

This is not my computer so I?ll have to do whatever remotely.

Thank you for the help.

A:All Flash Drives & External Hard Drives NOT ACCESSIBLE?

Sometimes when I plug in a USB Thumb/Flash drive I get a message about "this device can perform faster if plugged into a USB 2 port" so I shut the computer down and pull the power cord and USB devices from the back of it. After waiting a bit I put everything back and all is good.
Relevancy 68.37%

My Windows 10 Home laptop will recognize all of my flash drives but won't recognize any of my external hard drives. They all use to show up but now they aren't. The hard drives show up in disk manager but won't show up in file explorer. I hooked them up to other laptops & they all show up. I've tried uninstalling drivers & reinstalling them but It hasn't worked. Any ideas?
Relevancy 68.37%

I have a new computer plus a couple of other computers and I have some external hard drives and flash drives. what is the best way to check these devices to make sure they are clean, will just connecting them and viewing them or running AV and other security checks propose a risk to the computer that is checking?
Thanks for any advise!

A:External Hard drives and flash drives security

You can consider the use of the Panda Vaccine on your computer and USB Drives:
Download Panda USB and AutoRun Vaccine - MajorGeeks

This tool provides a two way security by vaccinating both computer and/or USB drives.
It work on NTFS, FAT, FAT32 formatted drives.
However, vaccinating a USB drive cannot be undone without formatting the USB disk, using a hex editor, or a File Manager in a Linux distribution..

Next, make sure that your Antivirus can scan USB drives. Some do not have this option.
Relevancy 68.37%

Hello everyone Here's the cenario I'm a dual OS user XP amp Vista x so I have a dual boot system which was working fine WinXP ! Drive XP Hard up come doesn't anymore upgrade: Win is installed on C partition Hard Drive upgrade: Win XP doesn't come up anymore ! boot and Vista on another phisical and non bootable hard drive After a while I decided Hard Drive upgrade: Win XP doesn't come up anymore ! to upgrade may disc array which has the WinXP C partition OS because it was too slow and small I took than a tool which never ever had let me down before to perform such tasks Norton Ghost DOS version ghost k exe and generated an image from the C partition on a third hard drive for later restore After the hardware upgrade to Tb I've faced the following error message when trying to boot up the system on Win XP quot Windows did not start successfully A recent hardware or software change might have caused Hard Drive upgrade: Win XP doesn't come up anymore ! this ntldr status xc e Task is unable to procced due to missing or corrupt file quot something like that The file system seems to be intact Besides I can't boot in WinXP I still can do it normally on Vista and even get full access to that specific big partition with no problems at all What should I do to recover from this situation How can I save my XP installation I do not intend to proceed a new one too much data and time loss and because it will also destroy my dual boot config to Vista and I would have to re-install it again as well Do you guys have any ideas or suggestions Is it possible for me to save my old XP installation What the hell happened after all I'd like to thank you all in advence
Relevancy 67.51%

Hi I have an external hard drive from WD MyBook TB that has been working almost perfectly since recognized not hard drive External anymore I got it approximately half a year ago The only problem was that the usb connector seemed quite loose and I sometimes needed to reconnect it for the hard drive to work Now for some reason a few days ago I had to reconnect it on the hard drive s end and I had to force it a bit Even after that everything worked Then a day or two later I see a message from windows telling me quot I could get more speed if I connected the drive to a USB port quot or something like that btw it was connected in a USB port Since then I haven t been able to get the hard drive to be recognized by Windows for more External hard drive not recognized anymore than or seconds I have succeeded by pressing on the hard drive s connector but now it just seems like the port is completely loose inside the external hard drive which means that I basically can t seem to get the cable completely plugged in the port Also after a few tries at reconnecting it the computer started to shut down External hard drive not recognized anymore every time I connect the hard drive to the computer I have tried connecting it to other usb ports although not on a different computer I don t have access to another computer right now but I will try it as soon as I can My laptop is an Asus N JQ-X and my OS is Windows bit Thanks in advance for your help nbsp

Relevancy 67.51%

After stinking days my external hard drive is refusing to show up on my computer now External anymore. hard help not Serious recognized drive please! I used it just fine last night but when I plug it in today nothing Nothing s recognized and the drive doesn t do its usual red flickers So far I ve tried not using the extension cable didn t work so I test the cable it works I get a different cord and plug it into my hard drive and nothing shows up It powers up just fine but it just doesn t do anything when I plug it in It s starting to sound like a failure External hard drive not recognized anymore. Serious help please! in the USB part but I have no way to be sure I can t get it replaced by my store because it went past my day replacement plan since they took weeks to ship it to me - - It s a GB Western Digital USB Firewire drive and it s going out the window if I can t get it to work Please help me reclaim of my life nbsp

Relevancy 67.51%

So basically my external hard drive was acting up and I was Anymore Drive External Recognized Not Hard going to disable and re-enable it to try and solve the problems I went to Computer Management - gt Disk Management and disabled Disk which was the HDD External Hard Drive Not Recognized Anymore To disable it I right clicked the disk External Hard Drive Not Recognized Anymore and went to the properties I went to the Driver Tab which lists Driver Details Update Driver Rollback Driver Disable and Uninstall I clicked the disable option It disappeared and whenever I plug it in it doesn t show up anymore The HDD is the Screenplay HD from Iomega and the drivers are located on the HDD itself The HDD still works because I plugged it into my MAC From there I just erased everything and set it up to use FAT so it would be compatible with both systems The HDD shows up under the USB Controllers except as a quot USB Mass Storage Drive quot now and the menu to do anything with it doesn t pop up Any idea how to re-enable it It seems that I need to find some unallocated partition in Disk Management and add a new disk However there is no more unallocated partition It also seems I need to download third party programs to create an unallocated partition Help is very much appreciated and I will be here to answer questions

A:External Hard Drive Not Recognized Anymore

Solved. If anyone else has this problem, try:

It will reappear with a different name under the disk drives(which is why I didn't realize it in the first place). Just enable it and you should be good to go.
Relevancy 67.08%

I have windows 7 pro and recently I have not been able to open up a new folder on any external hard drive or flash drive that I use with my computer. When I use these same flash and external hard drives in another computer it works fine, my initial thought is, there is something disabled in my system or some program is blocking me when I try to create a new folder in my drives. need advice and help.

A:Flash drives and external hard drives

It may be your explorer. Run a sfc /scannow in Command Prompt
Relevancy 67.08%

I already found out the hard way that flash drives don't have a registry in which I can install a program to it, and run it on other computers, unless the program is a lite program. Is there a way to make it more flexible in the sense of creating a registry for it?

Next question; Do external hard drives have a registry? Could I install games and or programs to an external and run them directly from it? Is there a way to create a registry for it if it does not have one?
Anyone that has anything else to possibly add, I'm more than happy to explore any and all options, so don't be shy!

Help is appreciated, thanks in advance!

A:External hard drives / flash drives.

i do not know the particulars of it but yes it is possible to copy/paste a programme file from c drive ,programme files, onto flash drive and run it, i do it myself
Relevancy 67.08%

I have several old hard drives, taken from previouse CPU's. Is there anyway in which I can use them as external hard drives or be able to read what is stored on them, without hooking up INSIDE my CPU ?

Relevancy 67.08%

I have this oyen digital u shadow gb portable hard drive and when I first got it the wire connector was always loose when anymore Portable Hard [SOLVED] work doesn't Drive I plug it into the drive meaning I'd have to the drive positioned in a way where it'll stay connected and if I move it even a [SOLVED] Portable Hard Drive doesn't work anymore little it would disconnect I've been using this drive for a while now almost a year maybe also every time I'd connect the drive to the pc a window would pop asking if I want to scan the drive for bad sectors whatever that means I never did it because it was always working fine But today the worst of everything just had to happen I restarted my pc and when the pc was booting up again I unplugged the drive from the pc because I can't have it plugged in during boot up or the pc will try to boot from the portable drive After doing that and trying to plug the drive back in that's when it doesn't turn on anymore The blue light wouldn't come on anymore nothing I'm already freaking out and pissed so I try to plug it into my xbox to see if it'll turn on it doesn't Nothing Now I guess I got a dead drive with all of my files on it I mean I have everything on this drive photos videos my current resumes and cover letters documents music everything Is there a way I can get my files back Because if not then I've really lost everything

A:[SOLVED] Portable Hard Drive doesn't work anymore

Yeah, you can try taking the hard drive out of the external casing - the site says it's a "Toshiba 500GB MQ01ABF050" inside which will have a regular sata connector like all the other hard drives in your PC - you should be able to just plug that into a spare sata port on your motherboard (just copy how your other hard drive is plugged in)
Relevancy 67.08%

My pc used to lag sometimes when I incert my external hard drive , I suspected that it could be problem with windows or the laptop hard drive itself
So I wrote down this code in the command prompt to check for drive errors and bad sector ( not the C , I tested D: )
Chkdsk/ /r /f D: /x , where /X means force dismount if necessary
After 8h+ I wake up and check it out it was in stage 4 working but then this error happened and stopped ( check the link )

Since then the laptop keep restarting and doesn't recognize the hard drive anymore
I suspect that it could be because system error cased it to force dismount but then since it crashed it didnt do it properly ,
So what I can do now ? My laptop doesn't recognize my hard drive at all but I have a Bootable usb and it sees it with the correct size
Please help , thanks

A:My laptop doesn't recognize my hard disc anymore and keep rebooting

Sounds like the drive is failing or has failed.  Power on, press f12 several times until a boot menu appears and enter the Dell diagnostics.  Run an extended test on the drive -- if you receive an error such as 2000-0142, etc., the drive has failed.  If you need help selecting a replacement drive, we'll need to know the system model information (i.e., Inspiron 5730, N5110, etc.).
Relevancy 66.65%

Hi there,

I have a Western Digital external hard drive that is not detected by Windows anymore. When I plug it in, the hard drive does not show up on "My Computer" but it does show up on Disk Management :

I have read on the internet that this issue is usually caused by a corrupted sector or the MBR that's corrupted.

I tried TestDiskt but unfortunately when it asks me to choose the hard drive i want to select, my external hard drive doesnt show up on the list.

The only hdd that i see on TestDisk is my internal hard drive.

Every software that i tried to recover data with can't detect my external hard drive, that is why I now ask for your help.

Is there anyway I can recover the data or, even better, get my hard drive to work again.

A:My external hard drive is not detected by Windows anymore

You should have a read through this guide thread, see if it helps:

What to do if your external hard drive does not show in my computer
Relevancy 66.65%

i have a seagate external hard drive that my computer no longer recognises even though it used to, i have tried all three of my USB ports and it still wont work even though they work for other things but when i connect the hard drive to my TV it is recognised and can b used so im assuming its setting on my pc? what can i do?

A:my external hard drive is not recognised anymore by my computer

Hello lozzi, welcome to Seven Forums!

Is the HDD listed in diskpart?
Relevancy 66.22%

Hi guys WEIRD: find anymore. External Hard Drive files cannot my is gone, I have a Western Digital GB MyBook external hard drive Few days ago I created a folder in the root of the hard drive and I put all the MyBook original folders files For example ArcDeviceInfo autorun WEIRD: External Hard Drive is gone, cannot find my files anymore. inf RECYCLE BIN System Volume Information etc in WEIRD: External Hard Drive is gone, cannot find my files anymore. the folder that I created After that everytime when I WEIRD: External Hard Drive is gone, cannot find my files anymore. plugged the hard drive USB to my Mac and the hard drive start with normal sound and then it make louder clicking sound and the hard drive stopped The Hard drive volume didn t show up on my desktop so I open the Disk Utility app In Disk Utility I saw my hard drive icon but the name changed to quot TB WD External Media quot my hard drive is GB now became TB There is no way that I can enter my hard drive because it disappear I cannot access the hard drive from my computer I tried to partition the drive just to see if the computer recognize it but it said Resource busy I think the main problem is I put all the MyBook startup files into a new folder that I created and now the hard drive doesn t recognize it Can someone please tell me what should I do Any suggestion I know go to a professional to recover all the files is an option but that will cost me - they gave me the quote online I hope someone can help me with this Thank you very much for reading this nbsp

A:WEIRD: External Hard Drive is gone, cannot find my files anymore.

Basically you have one option. Open the case and take out the HDD inside. It could be a s-ata drive but more likely it's a eide drive . Set it as a slave drive and put it in your machine and see if you can recover your files that way (it should be recognised as a plain drive with all your files intact), Or just undo what you did with the original autorun Mybook files and try it again back in the case on USB. That is all that the big File Retrieval Co would do anyway
Relevancy 66.22%

I got a Nexxtech Enclosure with quot Maxtor DiamondMax GB Hard Drive - MB ATA- EIDE OEM quot My computer is a Dell Win XP SP It has been working for a not Hard anymore Solved: recognized Drive Computer will External year but something happen to my computer this pass week that caused me to reboot the computer Now the Computer will not recognized the External Hard Drive The Enclosure Solved: Computer will not recognized External Hard Drive anymore has a Power-Data Light indicator and is showing Red instead of Blue Never did figure out what that means When plugged in the computer will do the quot ding dong quot sound as if it connected the hard drive after a few minutes then another quot ding dong quot sound but different tone as if it disconnected after a few more minutes Problem is that it is not showing on my taskbar for quot New Hardware Detected quot or quot Removable Hard Drive quot I have tried Disk Management and It is NOT showing up on there I have also tried the hard drive on other computers and getting same results nbsp

A:Solved: Computer will not recognized External Hard Drive anymore

You need to remove the hard drive from the enclosure and either slave it to a desktop machine, and see if that machine can read it, or try the drive in another enclosure.

You have to determine if the drive is the problem, or is the enclosure the problem.
Relevancy 64.07%

Anyone know why WIN XP doesn't see my hard drive when trying to install? I went through the BIOS but may be missing something. I know they are connected.
Can anyone give me some reasons to jog my memory

A:WIN XP doesn't see any hard drives

Is the jumper set properly on the harddrive? CS= Cable Select or MASTER?
Relevancy 64.07%

Anyone know why WIN XP doesn't see my hard drive when trying to install? I went through the BIOS but may be missing something. I know they are connected.
Can anyone give me some reasons to jog my memory

A:WIN XP doesn't see any hard drives

Is the jumper set properly on the harddrive? CS= Cable Select or MASTER?
Relevancy 63.64%

Right IDE configuration of hard drives and one new DVDrw IDE Channel Master Gb HDD WinXP - the one I want to boot from IDE Channel Slave Gb HDD IDE Channel Master DVD-RW IDE Channel Slave Gb HDD The only one with more than partition doesn't boot rw, hard 3 dvd one drives, Firstly the DVD drive manual says to only use it as master on any IDE channel fair enough I wasn t convinced so I tried it as slave first but it didn 3 hard drives, one dvd rw, doesn't boot t work properly So then I connected up as above The trouble is everytime it tries to boot it acts as though it can t boot and reverts to trying to boot from CD at which point it says there s no CD in the drive to boot from and halts However I have managed to get it to boot somehow occassionally by having the CD DVD drawer ejected and when I did I could see all drives and all were working correctly I have tried many different drive configurations but none seemed to stop it from reverting to boot from CD and halting Checked jumpers and tried many different jumper settings Also flashed BIOS with latest update and reset its settings Tried having only hard drives in boot priority and still it tries to boot from CD I m guessing because with this drive configuration it cannot see the drive I want to boot from on the initial check it does Oh and I ve flashed the latest driver on the DVD drive as well to see if it was that but it didn t make a difference For now I got fed up and disconnected the Slave HDD and it works fine without a slave there Maybe I just can t have such a drive configuration but what bugs me is I got it to work just by ejected the CD drive whilst it was booting Any ideas Obviously any more info needed I can provide Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 63.21%

Hello everyone,
I was wondering if anyone here could answer a couple questions I have about externals??? I want to buy one for my laptop but know nothing about them...First of all can an external hd be used on multiple computers? Like for instance a zip drive...can I plug this into my desktop computer as well as my laptop and share the info on it?? I run windows on both computers but different versions... Ok next question...These hd come rather large now...would I have to split the drive if say I got a 250gb splitting the drive a difficult thing to do??? And at what point or how big would the hd have to be without splitting it??? I hope I was clear in attempting to ask these questions...not sure how to word the questions..Thank you for any help you can give me.

Relevancy 63.21%

Hi All!

My computer is old and I can't replace it at the moment. I would like to get some quality external hard drives so that I can remove a lot of photos and videos and back up my business files. What are your recommendations? My computer is an HP, O/S is XP Pro. Thanks in advance.
Relevancy 63.21%

I was talking to a friend in Poland, who needs an external HD but knows nothing about them. The current is much higher there than in the US, so he was wondering about the risks of frying his electronics. What does anyone have to say about this?

He wanted a drive that was USB powered, to reduce the risk of burnout. If there is a real risk to the current issue, can anyone recommend a USB powered external drive? I have looked at many drives, but they do not specify the power source.

A:External hard drives

Isn't the higher current taken into consideration by the power supplies that are designed for that current? I wasn't aware that there was a whole different line of hardware that was suitable only for countries with a different power architecture. I thought Europe generally used higher voltage?
Relevancy 63.21%

my PC's usually last 4 years.

thanks in advance.

Relevancy 63.21%

When I want to connect or disconnect my external drive with my os images in it, should I turn the pc off or can I do this on the fly? I have been doing it on the fly for years but someone said it is not the right way.
Thank you

A:external hard drives

It's USB attached so on the fly is fine. I would connect it then turn it on.
When you're done, use the Safely remove function (not sure how you access this in Metro) before you power it off then remove it.
Relevancy 63.21%

I have a program on an external USB hard drive. I want to run the program from that HD. It doesn't run properly because it needs to write files to it's folder, and it doesn't have permission to.

If I turn User Account Control off, then everything works just fine, however I don't want to turn it off. Is there anything else I can do to get the program to work properly with UAC turned on? Should the program be writing files to a specific folder?

I tried setting the permissions of the folder to 'full control', but all that seems to do is set the permissions on each individual file that currently exists in the folder.

A:UAC and external hard drives

This should help

User Account Control (UAC) - Elevate Privilege Level
Relevancy 63.21%

Have been hearing rumours that Vista has difficulty recognising NTFS formatted external USB hard drives whereas FAT 32 formatted drives are OK. Can anyone shed further light on this?

Relevancy 63.21%

I just bought a 40 gb external hardrive 2.5 sata. Could someone tell me if it works with Vista. I thought I was ordering a Seagate from EBay, that is what they told me I was ordering but instead got this Sata. I can't get it to work. Anyone know anything about this. Is it user friendly?

Relevancy 63.21%

Any thoughts on external hard drives ........I am in the market for a smaller one (gig wise).

Maybe a good reference source other than this website also.
Thanks for any help...

Relevancy 63.21%

I would like to get some openions on external hard drives.

Does anyone have experience with both Seagate 500GB and Maxtor 500GB drives?

I would like your openions on which drive performs better, has better reliability and which has the best software.

Also is the regular Segate and the Segate Pro the same drive with different software and connection options or is the Pro a better drive?

Thanks for any info you can give me.

A:External Hard Drives

Which is the better connection for external hard drives, USB 2.0 or Firewire?
Relevancy 63.21%

What are the differences between portable hard drive and external hard drive?
Whatís a good brand?
I want to backup some digital photos and MP3ís

If my understanding is correct, a portable hard drive is a type of external hard drive that does not require a separate power cord, hence it is "portable" because it can be powered by the USB cord that connects it to the computer. A regular old external HDD requires a USB data cord as well as a power cord.

For specific brands, I'm using a Maxtor and a Western Digital right now and they've both served me well for over a year now with 0 problems (although I do have a mini-fan cooling them 24/7)

And if you are just looking to backup files, I would probably get a regular external HDD since the "portable" ones are a little more expensive.
Relevancy 63.21%

Okay im not really looking for brands or models im asking about desktop vs. Portable,
At my local best buy they have both in my price range they are 1TB drives, im looking to have something that i can plug into multiple computers and access the files and backup multiple computers to it, i am also wanting to have a section of it for my school programs which is why im considering a portable so i can easily take it to school, im wondering what are the pros and cons of each one?

Thanks guys

A:External hard drives what to get?

get a hard drive by itself then buy a enclosure. make sure it has the connectors you need. and all good.
Relevancy 63.21%

Greetings TechGuy Friends I have a friend who has suggested that I consider getting myself an external hard drive ehd to augment my HP hard drives external Pavillion gig computer My OS is Windows ME My friend thought because I store a lot of digital photos scanned slides and music that a Maxor or Lacie GB RPM ehd from GoGoCity would be a good choice for storage and backup I don t currently work with video though I hope to one day get me some software and do something about all the digital video external hard drives I ve shot So with this information external hard drives given my questions are these Does a GB ehd sound about right given my usage or is it an overkill Some external hard drives ehd s offer both USB and Firewire interface capability I don t have Firewire and though it may be faster I ve understood that it really hasn t quot caught on quot and may wind up being obsolete If that s true I ll just go with the USB But if not should I spend the extra to get the ehd with the option to interface with both USB and Firewire I ve seen that ehd s offer varying Cache Buffer Sizes I have no idea what the purpose or importance of this spec is Should I go with one that offers MB MB or none if that even exists Are there any peripherals cords etc that I should be aware of needing that perhaps aren t offered with the ehd as sold by say GoGo City Finally I ve noticed that in the case of Maxor the retail versions are different than what GoGoCity offers which they acknowledge Is there a vital difference I know that the retail versions have what they call quot One Touch Backup quot which the versions sold by GoGoCity do not It sounds like a nice nifty feature but not having ever used an ehd is it really an important one And the GoGoCity ehd s are in quot anti-shock quot cases I d rather save money by getting the ehd through GoGoCity unless someone can suggest a better source than by getting it through say Staples or some retail store But if the retail versions are better and worth the greater price then I know what to do I realize this is a lengthy post And I know it s all pretty rudimentary to most of you But I appreciate any input from you experts out there Thanks in advance for your time and help CCF nbsp

Relevancy 63.21%

Hi all, I'm thinking about getting a digital camcorder soon and do some video editing on my PC. I know this requires a lot of hard disk space so I was thinking about getting a 60GB hard drive. The thing is I heard that there are some new external hard drives out right now that connect to your PC via firewire (IEEE1394). These external drives are much more expensive than their internal counterparts, but I was wondering how would the performance compare to the internal drives? Would a 60 GB 7200 RPM external drive be as good as a 60 GB 7200 RPM internal drive?
It would be really cool if these firewire drives would handle video editing as good or better than their internal counterparts because you can do editing on your desktop PC at home or on the road with a laptop.

The last review on hard drives that I seen about a month ago gave the gold medal still to the scuzzy drives but IDE drives are catching up the Firewire drives were very slow compared to the IDE drives and much more expensive. here is a review I found for one
I dont know if this is the type of thing you are looking for?
this is for another the transfer times tell there own story
hope this helps
Relevancy 63.21%

Hey my comp is a bit broken and i have got it on a warrenty mesh comp they are coming to colect it and run some tests on it in a few days but before they come i am really worried about them losing all the data on my hard drive the situation with my comp at the momment is that no data is being send to the screen and it seems to be starting up incorrectly see here and i was wondering how i should Drives External Hard back it up prior to External Hard Drives this happening i was looking External Hard Drives for somthing to back up my disk this has just made it slightly more urgent i am currently looking at the Western Digital Media Center as i was also looking into buying a memorycard reader and a hub which this has built into it but i am unsure how i can get the data onto it my questions to you are am i oing for the right thicg and how can i get the data off it thanks all nbsp
Relevancy 63.21%

I am looking at getting an EHD, I have an Iomega 500gb that is OK but I am thinking of getting another for another computer. What is the best brand name out there? Western Digital? Seagate? Suggestions?
Relevancy 63.21%

I would like to get one o' these, but how would you work it?? I know that you plug it into the USB port but then what, and can you put an OS on them like Linux by any chance?

Relevancy 63.21%

Hi, I'm not very tech savvy so I'm not sure if this is the right area to post this about but I was wondering if external Hard drives larger than 2-4 terrabytes that are only powered by USB exist. As in all I would have to do is plug it into my laptop or tower and bam, it's ready.

I'm asking because I don't have a custom tower PC or a custom laptop that I can just buy a large internal hard drive for. I only have a laptop that was store bought.

If anyone knows of any or any particular brands you think are better I'd like to hear about them and check them out. I currently have a seagate 2 terrabyte external. No problems so far.

Thank you,

larger than 2-4 terrabytesClick to expand...

Do you really mean something larger than 4TB or do you mean a large external hd in the range from 2 to 4 TB?

I rely on Western Digital.
Relevancy 63.21%

I can only run one at a time instead of two. I would like to copy my 1.5tb over to my 2tb so I have a back up.

My laptop only holds 200GB of remaining data so I can't use that hard drive or I would.

Anyone have a clue on this?

Thanks and really could do with the help.

A:Run two external hard drives?

What seems to be the problem? Not enough USB ports, only 1 drive is recognized in Windows, you get an error when you try to copy from 1 to the other?????
Relevancy 63.21%

Each day I see more Hard USB Drives External and more threads posted regarding USB External Hard Drive problems and I m just asking for opinions to try to enrich my knowledge I have three USB externals Two are Maxtor Gb USB External Hard Drives vintage with single partitions one formatted NTFS and the other formatted FAT I use these drives for data USB External Hard Drives recovery from customers machines I have another Western Digital Gb vintage formatted NTFS that I use for file backup on the machine I am using right now After I purchased the Maxtors both came formatted USB External Hard Drives FAT I immediately reformatted one of the drives in Windows to NTFS and did nothing to the FAT unit however I later zero filled the FAT unit and reformatted with the Maxtor utility back to FAT The Western Digital unit also came formatted FAT and I reformatted it with Windows to NTFS I used NONE of the backup software that came with the Maxtors or Western Digital drives All the drives are IDE I have used all these drives extensively and never had a problem with any of them Just recently I pulled the drive from the Maxtor NTFS volume to check everything in the enclosure since nothing had been done to the drive for years except use it zero filled the drive and ran the Maxtor extended test The drive checked out perfectly My questions are this Are the problems we are seeing today caused by the factory pre-format Are the problems caused by the backup software that comes with most pre-built drives Are the problems caused by the IDE to USB or SATA to USB adapters I lean towards the adapters because when I get an external in the shop that is having problems about of the time I can remove the drive from the enclosure and hook it up to my workbench machine the machine reads the drive with no problems If anyone has any opinions as to the high problem rate with todays externals please post your opinions nbsp

Relevancy 63.21%

Hi all, I normally carry out a back up from my PC to an EXT HDD every 2 weeks but I am still worried about losing everything in case this one breaks down. I have now bought a new one but is it ok to have 2 Ext HDD going together on my PC, because I want to copy certain material from my existing Ext HDD to my new one as well as a complete backup. Will this cause a prob or damage my PC in any way? thanks for any help.

Relevancy 63.21%

Hi Guys, I am looking to buy an external hard drive to free up space & save data being a luddite & not a gamer I mostly want to store photo"s letters etc how much do I need 500 GB or 1TB also can I connect with USB cable or do I realy have to have a custom install ps what is a reliable brand Thanks Glenn.

For photos and letters, 500GB will be fine. In fact, even 320GB or something would be more than enough because photos/letters do not generally take up much space. External hard drives are usually connected with a USB cable (the usb cable is included with the drive). Before buying, read the specifications of the product to make sure it is connected to your computer by usb. Reliable brands... hmm... They are all pretty good, I have a Seagate 500GB External Hard Drive. Also, I'd recommend Western Digital or maybe Hitachi (my computer hard drive is hitachi).
Relevancy 63.21%

I am using windows xp and have SP2. I would like to buy an external hard drive to keep my photo's on. Can I just check - do external HD just plug into a USB socket?? do they come blank or do you have to put XP on them?? do you have to have any special software?? Will the external hardrive only work on your computer?? any other info I need before I buy please??? thanks!

Relevancy 63.21%

Has anyone used or built an external hard drive?

Are there any advantages to using one?

Relevancy 63.21%

I'd like to resign my current drive to backup duty by putting it in an enclosure. I'm wondering if I can leave it with an intact OS (XP) and if so, if/how I can switch back and forth between being able to boot off of it and using it as a storage device.

Thank you

Relevancy 63.21%

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Home Premium Service Pack bit Processor Intel R Pentium R D CPU GHz Intel Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce SE TurboCache TM Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB E Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard NEC COMPUTERS INTERNATIONAL GA- TRC M-NF seen PC External by not new drives hard Antivirus Microsoft Security Essentials External hard drives not seen by new PC Updated and Enabled Hi I would appreciate some enlightenment on this problem if possible I regularly use GB external hard drives attached to my pC via direct USB links This has always worked fine in the past Unfortunately my previous PC is out of action gt I may have to come to the forum about that one it s a real humdinger is that one lt The PC I m now having to use is a Win as distinct from an XP but I don t see why that should make a real difference Only one of the HDD s is sen by the External hard drives not seen by new PC PC it flat out refuses to see the other I have swapped around the ports and the leads and it makes no difference it will only see one I have plugged the drives into a laptop and they work fine in that just not in the PC Aside from backup I have information on each External hard drives not seen by new PC that I really need access to on a daily basis so switching them around is a real pain ITA I have tried plugging them all into a hub then into the osame socket with the one that works but that dumb idea didn t help either Working with the laptop isn t a runner as it s my wife s and she needs that I ve no idea when if at all my original machine will be back on track It seems crazy that by upgrading to Win that there should be less compatibility rather than more Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions BC nbsp

Relevancy 63.21%

I am looking to get an external hard drive. The one I am interested in is Ximeta's Netdisk 160 due to its ability to connect directly to my network via ethernet cable. Has anyone had any experience with these drives? Are there any other manufacturers that have hard drives with ethernet connections in the same price range?
Also, I have also found that many here recommend external hard disk enclosures. This seems that it may be another option if the price is lower. But, are those hot-swappable? This is a must for me.
I am running Win XP Pro, have firewire and USB 2.0 connections. T

You're assistance is greatly appreciated!

Relevancy 63.21%

I'm running Vista x64 on my desktop and have 2 external hard drives - 1 backs up photographs, the other everything else.

Problem is that when I plug them in, they don't appear with consistent drive letters. Sometimes the photo drive is labelled J and other times K.

Is there any way I can permanently label these drives so that every time I plug them in they will be given the correct letters?

(Apologies if this is a bit of a basic question!)

Originally Posted by Graham R

I'm running Vista x64 on my desktop and have 2 external hard drives - 1 backs up photographs, the other everything else.

Problem is that when I plug them in, they don't appear with consistent drive letters. Sometimes the photo drive is labelled J and other times K.

Is there any way I can permanently label these drives so that every time I plug them in they will be given the correct letters?

(Apologies if this is a bit of a basic question!)

Next time you connect either, go to properties and allocate a name and Drive Letter [not C, D, or E] of your choice.
Relevancy 63.21%

Hello My computer is starting to do some scary stuff Before it crashes and I lose all my priceless digital photos of my baby girl I want drives external hard I think to get an external hard drive to dump all my photos and tunes onto A knowledgable friend of mine suggested getting a GB RPM EHD from Western Digital Maxtor and Lacie are also good he said What I don t know is whether I should get a quot one-touch quot option - external hard drives or is that a bell whistle I don t really need And I also want to know whether I should get both firewire and USB connection capabilites even though I only have USB at this time For what it s worth my PC runs Windows external hard drives ME Also I m wondering whether it matters if the EHD s case is not the original manufacturer s - like many on offer from GoGo City for example I like the idea of having an external separate HD that can t be affected by viruses worms that might get into my main HD Anyone able to help me sort this out and clarify my search a bit Much appreciation in advance CCF nbsp

You may want to consider another variation.

HDD caddies are cheap, and allow easy removal of a secondary HDD from the PC. This is a very economical way of backup, and I think you are wise to consider the need.

Otherwise I would be quite happy with the use of a HDD in a "generic" USB or Firewire case.
Relevancy 63.21%

Can an external hard drive be used as a primary drive? For example, if your hardrive "blew up", can you attach an external drive in its place? Thanks

Yes, if your BIOS will allow you to boot to a USB device. Check your BIOS boot sequence.
Relevancy 63.21%

If an external hard drive is infected by malware will the OS hard drive also be infected
Relevancy 63.21%

I have a Dell 8200 and have installed several external hard drives via Fire Wire. I have a DVD burner, a Maxtor external drive and a Western Dig ext hard drive piggy backed. XP seems to suddenly no longer recognize the information on the Western Dig drive. It sees the drive but either gives me a error message that is needs to be formatted or that is isn't a format it recognizes. This was suddenly and without any warning. The Maxtor hard drives seems very hot to touch. Is the firewire the problem, is piggy backing the problem or is XP the problem? This is the second hard drive I have lost (with all data) in a month. I can't figure out what is causing this. Things seem to be humming along and then suddenly I can't get to that hard drive.

A:External Hard drives

Hard to say, I've seen this mentioned here a few times. FWIW, I have a bunch of USB/Firewire hard disks (7 total) and I've never had any issues with them losing data. I've had drives fail over the years, but the drive is really dead, a different issue.
Relevancy 63.21%

I have two external hard drives which i store and run stuff from This has never been a problem while Drives External Hard running xp I've been sitting on this problem for a while looking for a solution or waiting untill i have seen someone else with a similar problem in hope that there will be a fix So far no luck The Problem This is pretty hard to explain as the problem is pretty random From boot up sometimes none or one of my hard drives show up Mostly they both appear Upon Windows startup Sometimes only one external hard drive will appear then about mins later windows will try to autorun the other as soon as it is eventually recognised Sometimes they're no problem untill you try to move large files from one drive to another or from one drive to my hard drive It will start to move them and then freeze half way through External Hard Drives claiming that the files dont exist You then go to explorer to look the drives are showing and so is every folder but the folders show as empty Both hard drives lights are off indicating they are off The only way to fix it is a External Hard Drives system restart One is a maxtor basics gig and the other is a Seagate tb I am running the trial version of windows I have played with the power manegement and nothing has been told to be switched off External Hard Drives this hasn't helped I've tried unplugging changing cables exorcism none has affected it The only solution a can imagine now is reverting back to xp and cancelling my order for windows Please tell me there is something blatently obvious that i have missed Thank you

hi and welcome to sevenforums

Are they both USB?
Relevancy 63.21%

I'm considering purchase of an external hard drive - either Seagate or Maxtor (although I guess they'll soon be the same). Everything I've read makes me apprehensive about compatibility. I'm almost 60 with 15 grandchildren, so I want to store photos, not games. If anyone has experience or advice, I'd be very grateful.

Any reputable USB external drive should work fine with XP. You may also want to shop around - but the drive and the enclosure separately and assemble yourself. You may get a bigger/better drive this way.
Relevancy 63.21%

hey all im new to this site, i have recently bought a new external hard drive 200gb and it is connected up into a network of 4 computers, and i have put my extensive music collection on to it, i was wondering how to access these files via WMP or can i not?? also do i have to open each individual folder/album to get WMP to regognise it or can i "scan" my network for music files??

thanks x

Relevancy 63.21%

i am runnung a compaq with win xp. i need an external hard drive to store music, pics and other various files so i can keep my compaq hard drive from getting to bogged down. i only have 80.00-90.00 to spend.
any recomendations.

Relevancy 63.21%

A thought just occurred to me that there must be some alternatives to buying the overpriced external hard drives such as the Maxtor OneTouch II or the LaCie d2 Extreme...but what I asked myself?

I have heard of hard drive cases for internal drives that can reduce cost per GB, but is this reliable and a good overall alternative?

It also occurred to me, could I buy a mini-tower and use it just to put multiple internal harddrives in it, no cpu, no ram, just that possible? Something tells me it is not, but something also tells me there may be something else that is specifically designed for that type of hard drive rack setup, but what is it I do not know...

Any help or opinions are appreciated!

Relevancy 62.78%

I have a very unclear problem Essentially when I turn my computer on it goes immediately to a screen where it says quot IDE Channel Master None quot and it says that for IDE master IDE slave IDE Master and IDE slave so my computer recognize drives hard Computer doesn't does not recognize that I have any hard drives at all In my BIOS it is the same thing both my drives are IDE I put my drive in another computer where it was found to be quot dirty quot Computer doesn't recognize hard drives by checkdisk but then checkdisk fixed it and it worked in that computer and I could access it and everything But when I put Computer doesn't recognize hard drives it back in my computer it still has the same problem and I have no idea wtf is going on essentiall I ve tried both of my hard drives in this computer and neither of them work and I ve tried them as master and slave individually and together and it still doesn t work Any advice I reset my BIOS already nbsp

Relevancy 62.78%

Hey guys,

I got a new motherboard yesterday, installed it, and installed windows. This morning, I decided it would be a good idea to flash the UEFI (BIOS) to the newest version.

Now, when I try to boot, it just sits with a gray cursor at the top left of the screen. I went into the UEFI and went to boot order, but it only shows my 1TB hard drive and my dvd drive. But I had a 750GB hard drive with windows installed. I think this is the reason it won't boot, because it doesn't see the drive with the OS installed.

What should I do? Flash it to the earliest version?

Thanks guys.

A:Motherboard doesn't see Hard drives after flash

Hello mate.

Perhaps the boot sequence changed with the flash, is the HDD set as first boot device?
Relevancy 62.78%

I want to reformat doesn't I detect hard my want drives. but it to do a complete reformat I have a Windows XP Setup CD and I backed up all my desired files onto an external hard drive but after starting the Windows XP Setup Full Install not Upgrade I want to reformat but it doesn't detect my hard drives. in Safe Mode regular doesn't work and having it reboot and continue trying to install I get a blue screen with a x type code Is there any way to tell the computer to completely reformat the hard drive x GB set up I want to reformat but it doesn't detect my hard drives. in a Mirror Array in case one hard drive has a hardware fault I'll still have the data on the mirrored drive so that I can install Windows XP all over again with none of the problems that I'm trying to get rid of If I insert the Windows XP CD and select to boot from CD it claims I have I want to reformat but it doesn't detect my hard drives. no hard drives installed and can't continue The hard drives are in there but after getting rid of malwares recently my computer has gone through several stages of problems and all I want to do now is reformat and start fresh and free How do I get my computer to recognize the drives in its pre-OS state so I can install Windows XP on it

A:I want to reformat but it doesn't detect my hard drives.
Relevancy 62.78%

I am installing windows 7. but the installation cd won't recognized the hard drives but my bios does. i went to the website and looked up drivers for the wd2500s but they don't have them. they said that they use the software in windows to work. so is there any way to get the drives to work? i have three set up on raid 0

Relevancy 62.78%

So I'm on specifically I have a dell card trying to figure out the best buy for an external when I move into my dorm room I want to have all the stuff on a drive. I do want a little bit more than 1TB storage but it gets a bit pricey when bumping up .5 TB. And I really just want 1 storage device big enough for a whole big load of files.

Whats a better choice for external storage price and performance wise?

2TB Western Digital 2.0 USB My Book Mirror for $204.99

1TB Seagate Free Agent 2.0 USB for $105.99

Relevancy 62.78%

My external HD is getting full, so in the near future I'll be looking at adding another one to the mix. Only thing is, I'd like for all my films to appear seamlessly in one folder, so I don't have to search accross 2 hard drives.

I don't know whether this is even remotely possible or not.

Is there a way to make Win7's Libraries show the contents of a folder but not the folder?
Ie. now it shows up as like this:
Is there any way not to have those 3 locations segregated, as if it were just the one folder?

Alternatively, is there an alternative way to "trick" Windows into thinking that 2 hard drives are one single drive? Perhaps a special USB hub?

Relevancy 62.78%

Hi All

Just purchase this HornetTek X2-U3 JBOD USB 3.0 (HT-3210U3) - 3.5" DUAL BAY - JBOD - HDD ENCLOSURES

The only reason was because I had a spare 1TB drive and 500GB drive that I wanted to span into one volume, according the product spec it supports JBOD, which from my understanding should allow hard drive spanning, I understand that if one drive goes the data is lost, but that is not a concern of mine as I have numerous backups of my data. The problem is when I try to span 2 disk I get the following error "The operation is not supported by the object"

Here's a screenshot of the drives in question

Have googled this and haven't been able to find a resolution, any help would be most appreciated

A:Need help with Spanning 2 external usb hard drives

You need to delete the BASIC disk or right click it, and convert them to a dynamic disk. Once you have created the DYNAMIC disk you will or should be able to span the volumes. Hope this helps.
Relevancy 62.78%

I am going to be buying a extrenal hard drive soon, but I do have a few questions about it. I play alot of PC games, my questions is can I install all my games on the external hard drive or do they have to be installed on the internal drive where the operating system is installed. Also gonna be getting a laptop soon I want to be able to have the desktop and laptop to be able to share the same internet connection how do i go about doing that. Also I want the laptop be to use the same printer as my destop computer. How to i go about doing this. Do I have to buy a router to do this.

Relevancy 62.78%

I need to upgrade my hard drive (currently only have 8mb). As I am really new to all this upgrading malarky I was thinking about getting an external drive (just plug and play). Is it worth getting an external drive as an upgrade? WIll there be much difference in performance etc? Any other hints / tips / advice?

Relevancy 62.78%

After a reboot my two external hard drives have vanished from my PC. I've had one of them going on five years and the other for only six months. I really can't believe they would just break after a simple restart. Especially two of them at once.

Folder Options are set to detect hidden files/drives so they aren't just hidden either. I tried uninstalling the drivers and letting them reinstall, but it didn't make a difference, when doing an error check and along the lines of "Windows can't detect this drive."

A:External Hard Drives Gone After a Restart

This is quite interesting. I thought it was an error with my WinXP updates on the laptop. After the weekly updates two weeks ago I got that same error with the suggestion to reformat the drive. Since it's got my computer life on it I unplugged. Although I do have cd and dvd backups I still would like to recover the data. I attempted on the Win7 64-bit desktop computer to get it up and with another desktop WinXP 32-bit and they all had the similar error (wording just a smidge different). I came in here to see if I could find a good recover software to be honest when I saw this post. I will be anxiously awaiting any responses as well. Perhaps there was an issue with the update(s) recently???
Relevancy 62.78%

Hi people,

I own a notebook/laptop and have previously installed Sims 2 on it
but had to uninstall it again as it slowed down the whole laptop.
If I buy an external hard drive, could I use it to play the game from that? And would it slow down the laptop again? Also, if yes, which external hard drives would you recommend for gaming?
Sorry if this questions been asked before, but I can't find another topic similar to mine.

A:A Q about External Hard Drives and Games

Hard drives really aren't limiting factors when it comes to game performance. They affect it, but it isn't critical.

What are the specs of the laptop? How much background junk do you have running?
Relevancy 62.78%

Hi I have recently purchased a new pc and it came with vista Hard external and drives!!! Vista x i have reinstalled as vista bussines x due to driver issues I have a Lacies Terrabyte which i run over my network for data sharing in the house My computer was connected to it as a network drive It now has disconected from it and will not even show up the other computers in the Vista and external Hard drives!!! house anymore It can connect to the internet though I have tried qute a few things to fix it The other computers can still connect to the drive though one through ftp one as a mapped network drive I am not sure what to do as the ftp works but it is not an option for me as i need to use the files on the drive without taking them off Any help is truly appreciated as there are very important documents on their that i need and i am getting annoyed Please help Thanks

A:Vista and external Hard drives!!!

Nevermind i have found the soloution! It was on the wrong IP!
Relevancy 62.78%

OK, getting ready to reformat my drive.

When I first installed my external hard drive (firewire) I remember I had to do something in DOS. I "think" it was partition the C drive (Hard Drive) for the new external D drive.

I'm running Win98SE.

Can anyone give me a step by step for what I need to do. Also the D drive is now mostly full so I need to make sure I won't loose the data on the external doing the re install.

Relevancy 62.78%

Any opinions on usung external hard drives to back-up files?

Relevancy 62.78%

My elderly laptop suffered three waves of Trojans and rootkits one of them was TDSS rootkit and is now external on MBR rootkit drives hard in a state where it will only boot into the Windows Recovery Console I was about to get a new one anyway and my data had been backed up to external hard drives so I will most likely wipe the old machine But before I transfer any data to the new machine I want to make sure the external drives MBR rootkit on external hard drives are clean But it appears they may both have an MBR rootkit All scans are being MBR rootkit on external hard drives run from another old machine that does not appear to be infected as far as I can tell What I need help with is cleaning up the external drives I had run RootRepeal on both and had to restart the computer before I had a chance to post the logs and upon restarting Windows informed me that D was quot dirty quot and proceeded to make some disk repairs I am including the RootRepeal scans from before and after the restart in case the quot before quot scan is of any use to anyone Thanks in advance KarenDDS Ver - - - NTFSx Run by Karen at on Mon Internet Explorer BrowserJavaVersion Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition GMT - AV avast antivirus VPS - On-access scanning enabled Updated DB - F - A -B - A FD D Running Processes C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exeC WINDOWS system svchost -k DcomLaunchsvchost exeC Program Files Windows Defender MsMpEng exeC WINDOWS System svchost exe -k netsvcsC WINDOWS system svchost exe -k WudfServiceGroupC WINDOWS System S EvMon exesvchost exesvchost exeC Program Files Alwil Software Avast aswUpdSv exeC Program Files Alwil Software Avast ashServ exeC WINDOWS system spoolsv exesvchost exeC WINDOWS System svchost exe -k HTTPFilterC Program Files Common Files Intuit Update Service IntuitUpdateService exeC Program Files Java jre bin jqs exeC Program Files Common Files LightScribe LSSrvc exeC Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared VS DEBUG MDM EXEC WINDOWS System RegSrvc exeC Program Files Microsoft Search Enhancement Pack SeaPort SeaPort exeC Program Files IT Connection Manager SRUserService exeC WINDOWS System svchost exe -k imgsvcc WINDOWS system ZuneBusEnum exeC Program Files Windows Home Server WHSConnector exeC Program Files Canon CAL CALMAIN exeC Program Files Alwil Software Avast ashMaiSv exeC Program Files Alwil Software Avast ashWebSv exeC WINDOWS system ZCfgSvc exeC WINDOWS system Ati evxx exeC WINDOWS Explorer EXEC WINDOWS System XConfig exeC WINDOWS BCMSMMSG exeC Program Files Intel PROSetWireless NCS PROSet PRONoMgr exeC Program Files ATI Technologies ATI Control Panel atiptaxx exeC WINDOWS System DSentry exeC Program Files Dell Media Experience PCMService exeC Program Files MusicMatch MusicMatch Jukebox mmtask exeC Program Files Microsoft IntelliPoint point exeC Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Works Shared WkUFind exeC Program Files Microsoft Office Office GrooveMonitor exeC Program Files Windows Defender MSASCui exeC Program Files Zune ZuneLauncher exeC Program Files Hp HP Software Update HPWuSchd exeC PROGRA ALWILS Avast ashDisp exeC Program Files Java jre bin jusched exeC WINDOWS system ctfmon exeC Program Files Google GoogleToolbarNotifier GoogleToolbarNotifier exeC Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exeC Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exeC Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exeC WINDOWS system NOTEPAD EXEC WINDOWS system NOTEPAD EXEC Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exeC Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exeC WINDOWS system wuauclt exeC Documents and Settings Karen Desktop dds scr Pseudo HJT Report uStart Page about blankuDefault Page URL hxxp www dell me com mywayuInternet Connection Wizard ShellNext hxxp www dell me com mywayBHO Adobe PDF Link Helper df c-e ad- -a -fa c ebdc - c program files common files adobe acrobat activex AcroIEHelperShim dllBHO Search Helper ebf - f- bff-a f-b e aac b - c program files microsoft search enhancement pack search helper SEPsea... Read more

A:MBR rootkit on external hard drives

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer! We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If not please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine. If you have not done so, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.Upon completing the steps below another staff member will review and take the steps necessary with you to get your machine back in working order clean and free of malware.If you have already posted a DDS log, please do so again, as your situation may have changed.Use the 'Add Reply' and add the new log to this thread.Thanks and again sorry for the delay.We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan:Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links. Save it to your desktop.DDS.scrDDS.pifDouble click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.A small box will open, with an explaination about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.Notepad will open with the results.Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet. Information on A/V control HEREElle
Relevancy 62.78%

If I have two external hard drives sitting next to each other on my desk (and I mean, *right* next to each other), can they demagnetize each other and can I lose data from the drives?

Maybe a silly question, but I could not find anything online to confirm or deny this. I know that magnets can leak credit cards and other magnetized items. Now I'm wondering...!

Thanks in advance.

A:Can I place external hard drives next to each other?

Well, if they could I dont think case manufacturers would put internal hd brackets so close.
Relevancy 62.78%

I have a Toshiba Satellite P855. it has an i5 processor, 8 gig of RAM, 64 bit os. running windows 8. 3 USB ports. Im not sure if they are all usb2. MY problem is that i can't connect any of my external hard drives to my laptop. When I plug them in to my desktop running windows xp, and my other laptop running windows 7, everything is fine, but my laptop running windows 8 doesn't even recognize that anything is plugged in to my usb ports. very frustrating. i have a lot of files, pictures music, and video files that i would like to have easy access to on my new laptop. any ideas? any and all help is appreciated.

thank you

Relevancy 62.78%

bah ok what happened was i was at a lan on the weekend my gig external hard drive worked fine then they cut the power out when it finished hard up external drives stuffed when my external hd and computer were still on when i got home i plugged my computer back in but external hard drive seems to be dead i plug it in and nothing happens i dont get a little baloon saying device not recognised i dont get it showing up anywhere like my computer device manager nowhere its getting power because theres a green light flashing external hard drives stuffed up on it external hard drives stuffed up rythmicaly i swapped the usb chords for it with the printer and the printer worked with my hd chord so its not the chord thats screwy it doesnt make a humming noise and it doesnt rev or anything when i plug it in is there ANY way i can fix it i just want the files off it i dont care about the hard drive its got all my music movies games everything ive tried to give as much detail as possible please please help nbsp

Relevancy 62.78%

OK so I have a Seagate USB External Drive that crapped out on me totally I realized that I think it was just a heat issue even though I didn t really leave it on all day or even use it that much Stupid me when I bought the Seagate drive it didn t have a fan at the not external have these Do fans? drives hard back and didn t think anything of it I have older external HDs with fans that have had no problems ever I want to get a new external HD and have heard good things about LaCie s although I may get another Seagate but after my last one died not so sure Looking at these drives for example it seems like they don t have fans installed what the heck Can anyone confirm from the pictures thanks http Do these external hard drives not have fans? www eaglebit com PhotoGallery asp ProductCode EB- - this is a similar looking drive to what I had before look at the pic for the back of the drive seems there s no fan This one seems to have Do these external hard drives not have fans? a vent but no fan http www newegg com Do these external hard drives not have fans? Product ShowI Book Essential GB quot External Hard Drive This LaCie no fan either totally closed up http www newegg com Product ShowI y F A Porsche GB quot External Hard Drive Since when do they sell external HDs without fans installed When I bought my current Seagate drive I was surprised at how small the case it came in was Here s the case for my Seagate that died on me http www superbuyusa com Cintre Black Z Disc USB External Hard Drive Enclosure-pid It claims to have a built in cooling fan but I somehow doubt that Come to think of it I never really heard a fan blowing just the hum of the drive itself A fan like this looks nice and big http www xpcgear com s silver html My old external HDs have fans - inches in diameter that are just on the back of the unit where the power switch is and the usb connection is Can anyone shed light on why you get external HDs pre-made with enclosures that have NO cooling fan and how to make sure your HD has a cooling fan It seems like every HD I ve looked at has no cooling fan And FYI I d prefer to buy an external HD with the enclosure already installed I d rather not buy the separate and do it myself I d probably just screw it up nbsp

Relevancy 62.78%

I have used "search" in microsoft before there was windows. From that time to 95, 98, xp, vista, but Windows 7 has me baffled. My Desktop pc died and I was well backed up but now I need to find some stuff in one of the drives. Windows support is useless. Give it more than one word and it is lost most of the time. When desktop comes up I am limited to all programs on the c drive of where to search. . When I go to computer and select an external drive of course the search option disappears. I detest the standard layout as it is so different from all the other systems which were easy to use. There has to be an easy way but not for me. If there is a way to change this action to the Win XP layout please let me know.

A:searching external hard drives

Hi, welcome to the forums

You might want to try

Search Options - Change or Restore
Search - Have More Accurate Search Results

and see if they help.

Relevancy 62.78%

I have two external hard drives connected to my PC one a LaCie and one a Pleiades I never had any problem reading and writing to and from these drives with earlier versions of Windows or indeed when they are connected to other computers but Windows will not let me write to them or modify them in any way though I can still read files on them If I try to e g create a new folder or copy a file onto the external disk I get the message quot You need to confirm this operation quot If I then click on quot Continue quot the same message is repeated ad nauseam I am not given any opportunity to confirm I am the administrator and indeed only user of this computer and this has hard drives write external Cannot to become enough of a major problem that I am seriously considering dumping Windows and going back to an earlier version Any help or suggestion would be very welcome

A:Cannot write to external hard drives

Welcome to the forums Akominatus!

New one to me that's for sure. Have you tried running a sfc/scannow to find and possibly repair any corrupted system files? Heres a link to a tutorial on how to do that if you haven't before. Just click on the link.

SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker
Relevancy 62.78%

Let me preface my question with the fact that I have a very rudimentary understanding of computers.

I have a Toshiba Satellite with the following specs:
AMD Turion X2 Ultra dual-core mobile processor ZM-80; 4GB DDR2 SDRAM; DL DVD?RW/CD-RW drive; Labelflash support; 250GB hard drive; Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit with SP1.

I am attempting simply to take music off an external hard drive, but have thus far been unsuccessful. The message that displays says something like "unable to read, 32 bit driver?"
Could anyone explain to me how I could reconcile my OS with the External so I can get this music?

A:32 bit External Hard Drives on Vista

Could you post the brand/model of the External Hard Drive? And it's connection . USB / FireWire etc...
Relevancy 62.78%

Can I put all my music and videos on an external hard drive and use then in iTunes? Do I have to set up the external hard drive in a special way to do this or is it just plug in and go?

Assume I'm very computer illiterate.

A:iTunes and External Hard Drives

Well, I'm not sure with iTunes, but I know it works with WMP11. All I did was plug my external drive in, rip my music to the external (or move music I'd already ripped). Then you set the library to the file on the external.

I doubt iTunes won't let you do that; if so, Apple probably doesn't deserve your business, since that's a pretty simple thing for them to do.

Let us know if you need more help.
Relevancy 62.78%

I came home from work yesterday & my computer no longer recognizes my Western Digital External extreme Hard drives. I had 2-250gig, 2-320gig, & 1-500gig My Book connected with no problems. Then, nothing. There is nothing wrong with the drives though. My computer just doesn't see them any more. Has this happened to anyone else?

A:I can no longer see my WD External Hard Drives?

"no longer recognizes" or "doesn't see" means what? What did you (or someone else) do on the computer before things broke? Can another computer "see" the hard drives?
Relevancy 62.78%

I am using 3 external hard drives and noticed a couple of times there drive letters have changed.
Maybe I have had them unplugged for some reason I cannot remember, but it causes confusion with some files that use shortcuts.
I would like to know if it is possible to give the drives permanent drive letters also change there names?

A:Naming External hard drives

Wont be able to give them perm drive letters since they are externals and that will change as you power them up and down but you can change the names by right clicking on the drive Icon in the explorer window and selecting rename.