Windows Support Forum

mother board questions

Q: mother board questions

Looking to get clarification on these motherboard headers:​
HD Audio link - assume this has to do with some available add on panel to receive high def audio - though I have Klipsch speakers and have previously used the green 'line out' -- Is there a way to get high def or used the digital audio jack? Does it take a pci card?

Front Panel Receiver (input) ?

Serial - what are these typically used for if there already exists a serial connector for the older hard drives?

Back Panel CR Emitter (output) ?

IEEE1394a ?

Note:​HD LEDI is connected but with an indicator on the case front for HD LEDII as well there seems to be no board connector. Is is possible to make the connection directly to the 2nd hard drive 2-pin connector and bypass the board?

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: mother board questions

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: mother board questions

HD LEEDII is used for a second connection to the controller. Some raid cards have this option [in fact my promise raid card has it] For you, just leave it unconnected.

IEEE1394 is firewire. With some boards they have a rear firewire connector AND one for a front of the case connection. If your case does not have this, leave it alone.

Serial ports are for old hardware that uses a serial connection. This would be something like a serial game pad, serial mouse, etc. There is no modern hardware that uses these ports so I often just disable them in the bios.

The audio link is most likely for a front panel audio. You can use this IF your case supports it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/mother-board-questions.771779/
Relevancy 24.94%

I just bought these I will return them if need be so don t pamper me http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E Question one these Questions about computer speakers speakers plug into my old jack front speaker port on my mobo should I use the center sub-woofer port instead Should I have bought some kind of HDMI or SDPIF speakers instead If so how much better are they My video card nvidia has extra hdmi ports my Questions about computer speakers mobo has a spdif port Should I buy sound card speaker combo Is my mobo and or video card just as good as a good sound card Should I download some software to compliment my new speakers Do I need to change any settings on my computer to take advantage of them In the control panel should I up the quot quality quot from bit hz studio Virturilze sound Boost enhance Will loudness equalization hurt my coolness nvidia g gaming http www newegg com Product Produ e nvidia g gaming- - - - - -Product Mobo z m pro http www newegg com Product Produ amp cm re z m pro - - - - - -Product p s my old speakers were like years old I don t even see where to adjust the bass p s s I use my speakers for music and gaming ps was trying to spend on a speaker upgrade flac is wow nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/questions-about-computer-speakers.217390/
Relevancy 24.51%

Hi, I was reading on wikipedia and I came across a few parameters listed in Piriform's Defraggler about my HDD. They are; reported uncorrectable errors which is at nearly 4.3 billion, command timeouts at 65,000
G-Sense error rate 4700. I'm wondering if these values are a bad and what these attributes actually mean. All values are rounded up by the way.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/travelstar-z5k500-simple-questions.216778/
Relevancy 30.53%

Hi techspotters it has come time to modify my old rig I m planning to upgrade the cpu without changing my motherboard but there is a slight risk involved that the purchase I am going to make is with CPU board AM3+ AM3 faul So back to basics My current MB M A TD PRO AM3 board with AM3+ CPU USB - link Current CPU Phenom t oc running ghz Current RAM EVOleggera x running underclocked mhz the one to upgrade to AMD FX -- So this is a basic operation a cpu swap but few questions popped up on the research phase M A TD is a AM board which apparently after some searching supports some of the FX series cpus that are AM I have also found the corresponding BIOS that I need to flash myself to to make it work properly and be recognized by the MB link Q amp A FX is known to support mhz RAM speeds my existing RAM runs max at without overclock and is placed x which occupies all slots and might confuse the FX which supports dualchannel as usual Meaning I will need to leave my RAM running at mhz how big will the reduce be in the performance of the CPU- mhz vs When setting up the proceccor I will need to disable the Turbocore to make it stable on the older AM board which only supports cpu speeds up to ghz and the fx on turbo bumps to ghz After disabling turbo all cores are set to run at which by research is the most stable option on my existing MB Will FX bottleneck gtx or gtx and how bad it is going to be Upgrading hardware is always nice but am I making bold move by upgrading a year old cpu to almost as old one And if someone with more knowledge can state me that there is no performance gain to be maid I just might stick with my old as long as its still breathing and calculating Thanks in advance for replys And no changing an motherboard is not an option So fond of my old rig best regards m nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/am3-board-with-am3-cpu.214400/
Relevancy 29.24%

Evening, all

I bought an interesting little Single Board Computer as an mITX motherboard (a WADE-8020, more info at the link below):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Portwell-...766?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a9b75151e

I have another similar board in an old Hoojum Cubit 3 case, and was wondering if anyone might have any other suggestions for a similarly eye-catching case, probably ready-made, though I'm not averse to either buying a DIYed case, or maybe trying to make one myself (I have a Dremel but not much else, and that includes skill )

Cheers, Jon.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/case-suggestions-for-industrial-mitx-board.213745/
Relevancy 29.67%

Hey all,

On my studio pc, I've installed a new rack mounted firewire audio interface in the studio. On the other drives (windows 8.1) the interface has installed perfectly but on the xp drive, although the drivers etc have been installed, once set, it works perfectly with the new outboard soundcard.

However, whenever I reboot to the xp drive, xp always reverts back to the on-board realtek sound card. I set the default to the new interface (a Presonus Firestudio Project) but every reboot it defaults to the realtek.

The motherboard is a P5N-E SLI if that helps.

How can I stop this happening so the new interface is the default?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/xp-reverts-to-on-board-sound.208179/
Relevancy 24.51%

So, when I built my PC I installed the OS on a HDD drive with the thoughts that I could later transfer it to SSD,

(did it before using hard drive cloning software to copy the OS drive to a new drive and then once working formatting the old drive.)

however when I started doing some reserch on cloneing software I noticed that windows 7 might not be cloneable (my past experiances are with XP) since there are mixed reviews on each bit of software out there both on Amazon and on the web. sevral report that windows 7 sees the clone as an unlicenced copy and refuses to boot. others say the clone drive misses it's boot file.

can some people advise me on if any of these facts are true or not?

A:Hard drive migration to SSD questions

Hi.
Cloning should work fine if you do it properly with windows 7. It's possible that windows can throw up a licensing issue, but very unlikely. In the event that it does, call Microsoft and they should be able to get it sorted out for you.

As for the bootability of the drive, cloning the drive's data does not necessarily make it bootable, but if you look online you'll see some cloning tutorials that include a section for rewriting the MBR on your SSD to make it the primary bootable drive in case it ends up not booting properly. This isn't hard to do and usually isn't a necessary step.

Also just keep in mind that simply cloning the SSD will probably result in an unaligned drive, so make sure that you get it properly aligned. Some cloning software has an aligning option built into the cloning process that you'll want to select.

So go for it and come back if you're having any issues.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-migration-to-ssd-questions.204382/
Relevancy 24.51%

Hi first off ill let u know what im dealing with for specs...

Windows 7 ultimate - emachines el1333g amd processor 1800mhz
integrated nvidia geforce 6150

just added - radeon x1300/x1500 256mb

I installed the radeon and hooked up dual monitors via splitter

Now my questions are about using the integrated graphics as well.

Can I enable the integrated nvidia to use a 3rd monitor? I believe I can thru bios, but am nervous about bios.
Would enabling it help system performance even if not using a 3rd monitor?
Would enabling it help system performance if I used 1 monitor per video card instead of both thru the new radeon?

Thank you in advance
Dazz

A:New to graphics cards...couple quick questions

dazzbazz said:

Can I enable the integrated nvidia to use a 3rd monitor? I believe I can thru bios, but am nervous about bios.Click to expand...

I'm going to say no.

The reason I say that is unless you can connect the onboard graphics in SLI/Crossfire, the moment you insert the dedicated card, the onboard graphics will be disabled. Since you have nVidia onboard and inserted an AMD card, I know SLI/Crossfire is out of the question. But who knows, I could be wrong because I definitely don't know it all.

I will say making BIOS changes is not damaging. If you make a change that keeps the machine from posting, you can always pull the coin sized battery to default all the settings.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-to-graphics-cards-couple-quick-questions.204863/
Relevancy 28.38%

So heres the story The computer has been working fine for several years Last night I decide to D850MV/D850EMV2 long Three desktop board beeps on Intel plug in my tv to the desktop via dvi It Three long beeps on Intel desktop board D850MV/D850EMV2 works fine and I dont have any problems I get home today and try and turn the computer Three long beeps on Intel desktop board D850MV/D850EMV2 on and I dont get any video signal to either the tv or the normal monitor Also long beeps accompany start up it sounds as though things boot but I dont get video or sound but it sounds like the hard drives click now and then like normal and the fans all run fine Ive swapped the first ram stick with one other and havent tried the rest yet and I have not changed the video card yet but plan to in the next minutes as of writing this Nothing looks physically damaged and I dont have any extra ram for this computer laying about since its a rambus so all I can do is swap the ram thats in it around and because I cant get video I cant run a test on the ram Suggestions or help would be appreciated Specifically what the long beep codes mean ive Three long beeps on Intel desktop board D850MV/D850EMV2 found a couple different versions of the code online and not sure which is correct Also what might have caused the problem plugging the tv in thats the only thing I did different unless someone was messing around with it without my knowledge or could it just be from years of wear or what nbsp

A:Three long beeps on Intel desktop board D850MV/D850EMV2

I think three beeps on Intel is a memory issue. At least that what it was when I had a stick of cheap RAM crap out on me.

I'd run Memtest and go from there

RAM can fail from a number of causes. Heat exposure, flaky transistor junctions, who knows. I seriously doubt plugging the TV in had anything to do with it.
You could go into BIOS to ascertain if the RAM voltage is set correctly. Over-volting is a DIMM killer.

You should be able to get documentation for that board directly off Intel's web site. Intel used to give BIOS beep codes ion the board/chipset manuals.

They also have hardware monitor software as a free download. Look up "Intel Desktop Utilities Lite".

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/three-long-beeps-on-intel-desktop-board-d850mv-d850emv2.191367/
Relevancy 25.37%

Although a very experienced PC user, I have never done any CPU swapping, only memory and video swapping. Currently I have a fairly old PC with a Foxconn motherboard G31MX, 4Gb DDR2 800 PC2-6400 memory and Intel E5200 processor.

This is all running fine, and is nicely balanced at 800Mhz front side bus, which matches the processor and memory exactly. But finding the E5200 processor does not support virtualisation instructions, and keen to experiment, I had a rush of blood and won a used Intel Q6600 processor on Ebay.

The motherboard definitely supports that processor, but I don't know if it can be set up, as the specs say
Processor ** E5200 ** Q6600
speed ** 2.5 Ghz ** 2.4 Ghz
cores ** 2 ** 4
L2 memory ** 2Mb ** 8Mb
FSB ** 800Mhz ** 1066Mhz
max power ** 65watt ** 90watt

So will it work, and if so, what bios settings must I change? I'm guessing I cannot raise the FSB because of the memory requirement, although the m/b seems to support up to 1.33Ghz. Have I just wasted (a little) money, or would it work, but very much under it's capacity ?

A:Swapping CPU questions

Aside from a possible BIOS update, it is simply take one out and put the other in. With the Q6600 though there shouldn't be a need in an update. You will need thermal paste when remounting the cooler. The board will configure itself once it detects which processor is running.

BTW I wouldn't worry about the FSB balance too much. I've run the Q9400 (FSB: 1333) with DDR2-800. The Q6600 (FSB: 1066) will run just fine, and double your processing performance.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/swapping-cpu-questions.203404/
Relevancy 63.64%

This is my Entire system spec Im looking to upgrade my processor but I need help Operating System System Model Windows Home Premium x Service Pack build Install Language English United States System Locale English United States Installed AM Boot Mode BIOS Secure Boot not supported eMachines ET G System Serial Number PTNBA Enclosure Type Desktop Processor a Main Circuit Board b gigahertz AMD Athlon II X u kilobyte primary memory cache kilobyte secondary memory cache -bit ready Multi-core total Not hyper-threaded Board eMachines MCP PM-GM Bus Clock megahertz BIOS AMI P -A Drives Memory Modules c d Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH N SCSI im with AMD is board? to my What Processor mother compatible this And new CdRom Device Optical drive WD Virtual CD USB Device Optical drive Generic- Compact Flash USB Device Hard drive -- drive Generic- MS MS-Pro HG USB Device Hard drive -- drive What AMD Processor is compatible with my mother board? And im new to this Generic- SD MMC USB Device Hard drive -- drive Generic- SD MMC MS What AMD Processor is compatible with my mother board? And im new to this MSPRO USB Device Hard drive -- drive Generic- SM xD-Picture USB Device Hard drive -- drive WD My Book USB Device Hard drive GB -- drive s n WMAVY WDC WD AAKX- CA SCSI Disk Device GB -- drive s n WD-WMAYUL SMART Status Healthy Megabytes Usable Installed Memory Slot DIMM has MB serial number DE B Slot DIMM has MB serial number D B Slot DIMM is Empty Slot DIMM is Empty Local Drive Volumes c NTFS on drive GB GB free k FAT on drive GB GB free Operating System is installed on c Network Drives None discovered Users mouse over user name for details Printers local user accountslast logon Quentin PM admin UpdatusUser AM local system accounts Administrator AM admin Guest PM HomeGroupUser never Marks a disabled account Marks a locked account HP LaserJet Professional P w on IP Microsoft Shared Fax Driver on SHRFAX Microsoft XPS Document Writer on XPSPort Controllers Display ATA Channel Controller ATA Channel Controller NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller x Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller What AMD Processor is compatible with my mother board? And im new to this NVIDIA GeForce GTS Display adapter DELL WFP Monitor quot vis s n XX- JU -XXXXX- - S June Bus Adapters Multimedia Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller HP Webcam HD- Mobiola Wave Audio Device WDM Mobiola Web Camera Video Source NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device Wave Extensible WDM Realtek High Definition Audio Senstic PocketAudio Senstic PocketCam USB Audio Device Virus Protection Back to Top Group Policies No details available None discovered Communications Other Devices Hamachi Network Interface primary Auto IP Address Gateway Dhcp Server Physical Address A D Connection Speed Mbps Microsoft to Adapter Microsoft ISATAP Adapter NVIDIA nForce Mbps Ethernet Auto IP Address Gateway Dhcp Server Physical Address FC C AA Connection Speed Mbps Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Networking Dns Servers HID-compliant consumer control device x HID-compliant device x USB Input Device x HP Webcam HD- HID Keyboard Device x HID-compliant mouse Microsoft PS Mouse USB Composite Device x USB Mass Storage Device x USB Root Hub x Generic volume shadow copy WD SES Device E F G H I nbsp

A:What AMD Processor is compatible with my mother board? And im new to this

That is an AM3 socket CPU which means it should be compatible with the Phenom II series CPU's. I looked up the board and it should still support up to a 95 watt CPU so any Phenom II X4 CPU with a 95 watt TDP would work on it.

Like This
http://www.amazon.com/AMD-Phenom-Socket-Quad-Core-Processor/dp/B002XNBQJQ

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-amd-processor-is-compatible-with-my-mother-board-and-im-new-to-this.202437/
Relevancy 24.94%

I purchased a D-Link DGS-1100-08P POE managed switch that I am planning on using for my NAS and security cameras. I wanted to test it out but the default IP is 10.90.90.90 with a subnet of 255.0.0.0. I have been able to access its web page with a direct connection and my laptop set to a static IP and I have been able to access it over my wired system using the D-Link SmartConsole utility. My question is what changes should I make to integrate it into a standard home network. Is it as simple as changing the IP and Subnet or are there other things to consider? Also, If I change it to say 192.168.1.2 should I change the range on the router DHCP server to start at 192.168.1.3?

A:First managed switch questions

{for those unaware, the PoE means Power over Ethernet to supply power to the attached devices, aka the cameras in this case}

default IP is 10.90.90.90 with a subnet of 255.0.0.0.Click to expand...

I assume you are connected something like:

isp==Modem/router ---- D-Link DGS-1100-08P -- cameras
the use of 10.x.x.x / 255.0.0.0 allows a very big network.
In this configuration and a FIXED ip on the switch, you only need a static route in your primary modem/router.

Attach the switch and login to the primary router. Look for Attached Devices.
If your primary router is at 192.168.1.1, then the switch will have an address x.1.NN where
255>NN>2

a) use the Address Reservation feature to map the MAC address of the Switch to 192.168.1.254
and thus your lan will see the switch as that address
b) Now add a static route 10.90.90.0 -> 192.168.1.253

Your PC systems can then directly access every device attached to the switch.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/first-managed-switch-questions.202733/
Relevancy 29.67%

Hello,
As the topic says, my computer doesn't detect my on-board sound card. It all started when I tried to install new audio drivers from manufacturers page, but the next day when I booted PC up there were no sound. In Device Manager, under Sounds, game,.. controllers tab sit 4-5 High Definition Audio Devices. Here's pic:

Then tried re-installing original audio drivers from motherboard CD, enabling/disabling On-Board HD Audio in BIOS but still no luck.

My Audio Device is VIA VT1705.
DxDiag shows that no sound card was found.

This is what is shown in Playback Devices tab:

But I have no HDMI kind audio devices..

How to make my system recognize my sound card?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/on-board-sound-card-is-not-recognized.202272/
Relevancy 24.94%

I know the parts are overkill for what I will be using it for to serve media to TV phones and pc s it will also back up my pc s weekly file server and questions Home server ftp sync to an offsite location I will be testing things like active directory and VMware because I use these are work but I cant really mess around with them to much there The server is will be running Windows Server R or R I haven t made up my mind yet I want to be able to leave the server on but have it go into a sleep mode until something is requesting data from the server over my lan or internet I know how to do this but I don t know if its good to do with RAID these are the parts I m using If you have any questions please ask me anything Fractal Design Define Mini http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E Western Digital Red NAS Hard Drive WD EFRX TB x in RAID http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E Rosewill TACHYON- W http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E Mushkin Enhanced Blackline GB x GB http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E ASUS GRYPHON Z LGA http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E Intel Core i - Haswell GHz http www Home server questions newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E Adaptec RAID T http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E SAMSUNG EVO GB http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E nbsp

A:Home server questions

Have you got a UPS? What's your question.

Also can you please tell me how you do the sleep mode? WOL when something requests access?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/home-server-questions.200648/
Relevancy 24.51%

Hi all good to be a part of the forum I am building a new PC that will not have to be replaced in the next couple of years So first off I ll give you a brief of what sort of PC user I am Large PC mobo, others - for Ideas and TV new among keyboard, questions CPU, media Ideas and questions for new PC - keyboard, CPU, mobo, TV among others consumer I watch lots of television shows and keep them stored on my hard drive Also like to live stream TV Computer programmer Will be running Notepad primarily although Visual Studio and Adobe ColdFusion will feature as well Minimal gamer if Ideas and questions for new PC - keyboard, CPU, mobo, TV among others at all I might load GTA IV on to the machine if I get bored GTA V if it comes to PC Ideas and questions for new PC - keyboard, CPU, mobo, TV among others And MS Flight Sim Lots of data entry using MS Access as a front end mostly Casual web browsing High resolution RAW photo editing HD video editing Adobe Premiere After Effects and complex vector graphics Light CAD work and diagramming Impatient Everything has to be fast Fast load fast read write Use CompactFlash as external storage I am not doing anything by halves on this build and as such I have no budget okay I very much have a budget but it is not low So this is the list of hardware I am looking at purchasing http pccasegear com sc tmm My general thought process with the build - Media hub is important as I am constantly misplacing MicroSD- gt SD adapters plus using CF cards - Case design is important I love the design of Apple Computers and fail to see why PCs can t look like that However I am not limited to that case so if you could recommend anything that looks just as awesome please do so - Need speed particularly disk write read - Reason for multiple graphics cards is due to the large amount of monitors - that I will be attaching - Yes I know this is overkill But I m sick of having underkill My primary questions - What s a good CPU and motherboard Large number of USB ports is plus for the mobo and built in WiFi and Bluetooth is a huge advantage as well Though I do have a wireless card I can use if I must CPU just has to be super efficient and not strain under load I know very little about this area - What s a good way to do monitors I would like to have monitors The inch widescreen as shown on that page my current quot inch landscape and two portrait monitors I would like to have the two landscape monitors mounted on top of each other and the portrait monitors on either side I do currently have a HP monitor that can rotate between portrait and landscape as well as my Samsung quot However I don t know how to mount a normal monitor into portrait or what a good monitor would be for a portrait monitor - What s a good keyboard I navigate by keyboard primarily and do alot of typing I d also like a detachable or separate numpad for when I m entering lots of numbers into a database So any recommendations there - Good TV tuner card I have an AverMedia card at the moment and the software for that is just awful And getting it to work with Media Center was a pain Just want something that can plug right in and scan for channels essentially - Sound card and speakers I love good quality sound and I currently have speakers which are I want a really rich quality sound I know sound cards are generally unnecessary unless you are a sound enthusiast which I am not but I do want the best quality I can get Thank you all for any insight you can offer it s a lot I know nbsp

A:Ideas and questions for new PC - keyboard, CPU, mobo, TV among others

Here is a great place to start.

TechSpot PC Buying Guide - The Enthusiast's PC
If you would like to start by listing a few parts, there are several members here that can help you tweak the list.

You mentioned wanting built-in WiFi. I'm almost certain if you want a good motherboard, you would have to ditch that thought. A mPCIe slot is used for motherboards that come with Wifi, and they are usually only packaged with small form factor boards. I'm almost certain you don't want a small form factor for you build.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ideas-and-questions-for-new-pc-keyboard-cpu-mobo-tv-among-others.199592/
Relevancy 25.37%

Hello there Didnt know where to post it so I made it under quot Device Drivers quot Anyway I want help for building my own gaming PC I m going to give full specs and I also add picture of the case end of this post So the first thing is how big should be my power supply I know that my CPU should take something about W GPU should take around W Speakers around W I dont know how much will take power the Monitors though but I have in mind FHD or something like that Also can somone make clear to me the diffrence between HDD and SSD If I buy HDD then should I necessarily need SSD If I do then how much SSD should I get Ive seen some PC s on sale which has like TB HDD and GB SSD others have GB SSD Specs GB CRUCIAL RAM MB AMD A SFM MATX A M-E MSI MOTHERBOARD AMD R x GPU AMD Athlon II x Quad core GHz CPU Sharkoon T Value Green CASE Now about the GPU should I take the GB or GB The Hardware questions money difference is few bucks Also which company made GPU should I take MSI SAPPHIRE GIGABYTE XFX POWERCOLOR Some of these are called OC-edition toxic-edition boost-edition BF and so on GIGABYTE GV-R XOC- GD-GA Radeon R X Sharkoon T Value Green Hardware questions THANKS nbsp

A:Hardware questions

Matis said:

Hello there

Didnt know where to post it so I made it under "Device Drivers".

Anyway, I want help for building my own gaming PC. I'm going to give full specs and I also add picture of the case end of this post.
THANKSClick to expand...

Hi Matis.
Welcome! And... a couple of pointers...

1) Questions about Builds should go in THIS Forum. Be sure to read the stickies at the top first.
Mailpup (Or another mod) may notice and move your inquiry for you.

2) You generally should post the same question only once and only in one place. Otherwise some of the mods and others tend to get a bit cranky.

3a) You might post an intro, here. Ravisunny2 has taken up the mantle of welcoming newcomers, and offering some helpful links on how to get the most of your Techspot Experience. This is something I used to do, and Kimsland before me. Ravisunny2's post is basically the same as I was welcomed with and which I used to welcome others.

3b) Right now, on this topic, just be a bit patient, and hope that Mailpup notices, and moves your post. Likely will happen within a few days.

4) THEN One or more of those experienced with your particular questions will chime in after it is moved. I have done some recent builds, but I do tend to overbuild. Others will be more inclined to help you squeeze the most bang for the buck. You might review the stickies I mentioned above, and be ready to answer those questions.

I am not going to cross post this answer to your other/duplicate post.
Enjoy your time with us!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hardware-questions.199304/
Relevancy 25.37%

Hi everyone I just have a Questions Laptop HDD couple quick questions and anyone who can Laptop HDD Questions give me some good correct info will have my undying thanks and if I can help with your issues I will gladly offer my advice Firstly I would like to say Laptop HDD Questions that I am not a novice when it comes to comps so don t feel like you have to quot dumb it down quot for me as long as the spelling is mostly correct we re good LOL Secondly I think I should explain the hardware software that I am dealing with here I own a first generation touchscreen HP Pavilion tx us Entertainment Notebook PC and I have been having issues with it since it was about months old It Laptop HDD Questions had probs with overheating over-clocking and eventually would randomly black out no matter how long it was on for According to HP s Support and Forums the machine has a major design flaw in which the heat sink does not have enough copper to safely transfer heat back and forth between the cpu and graphics card which causes major damage to the motherboard For about years a much longer life than most see I babied this thing until about a month ago it lined out completely My boyfriend then took my main hard drive out and put it in his tower as another backup drive and so I can have all my files Eventually I do want to get a new motherboard so I can put all the good parts of it into a tower by itself Here are my questions Now that it is not a boot drive can I move what I want to save onto another drive and then format all the Windows HP and drivers crap off of it so I can have all that space back And if I am able to do that when I am able to build my tower with all the laptop parts will I have to put all of the quot boot drive quot files back on it before or after I put it together And will I be able to use the same Windows bit key or will I have to buy a whole nother one Actually if I do format it will I have to buy new keys for all of the programs that have a Software License or is there a way that I can use all the same credentials and get them back I think that s all of them so again thank you for at least reading this all the way to the bottom and thank you thank you thank you if you at least try to give me some helpful advice with these questions -ZeldaChick- nbsp

A:Laptop HDD Questions

Wooooooow.... 7.5 hours with 43 views and not one reply? Forget this, I found the answers on my own, like usual, and I'm never coming back to this "technology" site, EVER!!!!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-hdd-questions.197105/
Relevancy 29.67%

After my brother sprayed it with glass cleaner.my laptop key board types wrong letters.lets say I want to write "my laptop key board is messed up" this is what it types: my lap0to9p0 ke3ybo9ar4d i8s me3sse3d u7p0. all the letters in the upper row type the letter and the number above it and vise verse(exept t,y,5,6)
I tried the num lock and sticky keys,checked my language tap still nothing
(I use dell inspirion , windows 7)
Plz help.
thanks

A:My laptop key board is messed up

Have you tried a USB keyboard? If not, try it. You might also try the on screen keyboard.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-laptop-key-board-is-messed-up.196547/
Relevancy 24.94%

Hello there I am looking into buying a gaming PC regarding questions gaming build Few PC and since I am not very PC hardware savy I figured id post and check with you guys I have looked around since I found a lot of threads with similar questions but I would still need some Few questions regarding gaming PC build more answers My budget is around max pounds I am currently using a laptop which runs like crap at the moment and I am just sick of playing on low settings I would like to be able to play games like skyrim on max even ultra with a few addons if possible and then BF when it comes out and so on hoping that my budget is able to do that I have all the needed peripherals already I am playing on a inch LED screen which has been working fabulous with my laptop On low graphics - - So far I have been looking around on a website named www pcspecialist co uk since I live in UK and it seems like ok prices I have no idea tbh First I went to the AMD custom build section on http www pcspecialist co uk computers amd-fm -richland and set myself up with this build Processor AMD A - K Quad Core APU GHz amp Radeon HD D Graphics Motherboard ASUS F A -M M-ATX DDR USB Gb s Memory RAM GB KINGSTON HYPERX BEAST DUAL-DDR MHz X M P x GB KIT Graphics Card GB AMD RADEON HD - DVI HDMI mDP - DX Eyefinity Memory - st Hard Disk GB quot SATA-III GB s HDD RPM MB CACHE Power Supply W FSP RAIDER SERIES RA- PLUS BRONZE Processor Cooling Super Quiet dBA Cooler TITAN This roughly ended up on When I grew up it was always said AMD is the best for gaming As you might figure out that was quite some time ago SIZE FONT Arial SIZE FONT Arial I read around and apparently Intel is the stuff you want right now so said and done I headed over to the Intel custom PC builder on url http www pcspecialist co uk computers intel-haswell-pc url FONT SIZE FONT SIZE I tried building it and it basically blew my budget away I have no idea what parts are good and if they are overpriced So first off Is the AMD build I made solid for gaming or is Intel actually the you want today and if so can you go to the site and build me an awesome computer within the budget Any tips or recommendations are very welcome for example if there is a better site I should use of if I should just browse amazon for the single parts and order them and build it myself I can build it np I think Thanks for taking your time with this SIZE FONT Arial SIZE FONT Arial SIZE FONT Arial SIZE FONT Arial Best regards FONT SIZE FONT SIZE FONT SIZE FONT SIZE SIZE FONT Arial SIZE FONT Arial SIZE FONT Arial SIZE FONT Arial SIZE FONT Arial SIZE FONT Arial SIZE FONT Arial SIZE FONT Arial Obzoleet FONT SIZE FONT SIZE FONT SIZE FONT SIZE FONT SIZE FONT SIZE FONT SIZE FONT SIZE Oh and I forgot I am gaming at x nbsp

A:Few questions regarding gaming PC build

With that budget, you can easily get an Intel based system. I think AMD is a better choice though since it leaves room for a better GPU. This is what I recommend: http://goo.gl/JW4Tt6. If you need Windows 7, I will need to downgrade some components.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/few-questions-regarding-gaming-pc-build.195250/
Relevancy 23.65%

Hey guys,

I'm needing some information that is extremely hard to come by.

The 740m in the HP Envy 17t-j000, does anyone know, or does anyone know WHERE to look (Google failed me, or I failed Google!) to find out whether it needs ACTIVE displayport -> HDMI adapters?

I question this because I know the 57xx series from ATI required active. The card only supported 1 RAMDAC signal (or something?) and the Nvidia's tech seems different. According to HP support, passive will work fine. I need to have the adapters ordered ASAP, but I do not want to order the incorrect ones.

Any assistance is appreciated.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-envy-17t-j000-w-740m-triple-monitor-setup-questions.197029/
Relevancy 29.67%

I just came from a retail store to check on prices but most of their parts weren't available anymore. Instead of a G. Skill Ripjaws 2x4 8gb DDR-3 1600, the clerk offered me a Crucial Ballistix 2x4 8gb DDR-3 1866 memory. The board I'm gonna buy is an Asrock H77 Pro4/Mvp but looking at their memory support list http://www.asrock.com/mb/memory.asp?Model=H77 Pro4/MVP, it doesn't seem compatible.

The clerk had told me it was compatible and that he had tried it before but I'm not sure if it'd have unwanted effects over some period of time. (I got drawn in by how the memory looks and its LED so I'm including it as a choice). Thanks.

A:Is a 1866 memory compatible with an H77 board?

It will be compatible, worst case scenario is just setting your 1866Mhz RAM to run at 1600Mhz. You're getting quicker RAM for free.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-a-1866-memory-compatible-with-an-h77-board.194307/
Relevancy 25.37%

I have a okay Questions Build PC machine ill link my specs at the end of the post but I was wonder what I could do to improve it over time also PC Build Questions I am planning on building a second machine for a secret project im working on how ever I do not what is the best I can get and by this I mean I literally need a computer that is or is as close to a super computer as possible as this project will be taking a lot more then what a normal machine handle or at least I think it will if im wrong ah well I will just use the rest of the machine for gaming ha ha This is supposed to be a Gaming Machine something extreme edition amd only cpus sorry I would post the proper motherboard but I have no clue what the name was and I cant find the box Athlon GHZ CPU bit GB ddr of G-Skill I think Sniper Ram color is black kinda fancy GB ddr of G-Skill Ram not sure if this one has a certain name Nvidia Geforce PC Build Questions GB ddr temp card I am planning on getting a new one I also got a really old wireless card that only works for XP bit im only PC Build Questions keeping it in case I convert my linux os to windows XP HDDs TB SanDisk Internal TB Western Digital External Mini gb I think Toshiba used to be external took it apart and made it internal lost the cord and could not find a new one gb Internal from my old machine Emachine I bought like - Years ago Disk Drives Dual layer dvd burner from my old machine If you need any more info please feel free to ask ill provide any information I can give nbsp

A:PC Build Questions

Wait, so you need help building your "secret machine"? Or upgrading your gaming rig?

Also, a supercomputer has terabytes of RAM and thousands of CPU cores. Your PC is not a fair comparison xD.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-build-questions.193488/
Relevancy 24.51%

I was pre-testing a card that I got from china to see if it was what I ordered before trying to sell the rest of the cards on ebay the card said it was gigs Fat when I looked at it on my windows PC Next I put a song on it and it seemed to be working ok and then I tried for format the card While it sd fixing about 3 micro errors. cards questions was Formating it went to Default exFAT gigs but I knew my MP player will not be able to handle exFAT so I tried to use a tool to change its format back to Fat After clicking format I saw that it was taking a vary long time to format but then I saw I did not check quick format so I hit stop and nothing happened so I hit X on the tool and still nothing happened so I clicked ctrl-alt-exit and made it stop that way but after that it then said the card needs to be formated so I tried to format it back to Default exFAT but befor clicking format it now only says it will format to gigs and not gigs o O so I was thinking maybe that is just a error and will be fixed after clicking format 3 questions about fixing micro sd cards errors. so I clcik format and it gives me a error it says Windows was unable 3 questions about fixing micro sd cards errors. to complete the format so how do I get it to format back to gigs and back to Fat --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- And here is my nd question a month ago I sold a guy of my cards on ebay now he is saying this Dear Piratekitty When I installed the card in my Clip it gaves errors when trying to copy music to it and when I tested it with H test I formatted the card as FAT and now it shows as MB capacity I ve tried reformatting it several times with the same results with Windows and SDFormatter I tried it in a Cowon J with the same results Please tell me how to access the full GB on this card or replace this card with a real GB card that works Regards ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- rd question is is subject all my falt before selling the items I put quot how to Instructions in the items I am selling on ebay and my question is what if my how to instructions are making my buyers have have Can you read my instructions and tell me if it is causing errors for my ebay buyers Important Notice Please Read By default the cards format is exFAT amp not all items can read exFAT format If your item can not read exFAT format you will get a error but you can fix this by changing the cards format Q What to do if you need to change your cards format First check to see what kind of format your device can read Next google how to change the format of exFAT to the format that your device can handle there are a lot of websites out there with step by step methods After that follow the steps that the website tells you I perfer watching how to videos on youtube And finaly when your done if you still find that your geting a error please let me know amp I will help you ASAP Notes about formating When you want to delete everything I sugest doing so with the file formater the website in step gives you If you dont you will end up changing your fixed format back to the cards Default exFAT I found everything I told you out when my mp player only worked with FAT amp not exFAT So I looked on youtube amp found nbsp

A:3 questions about fixing micro sd cards errors.

the card said it was 64 gigs (Fat32) when I looked at it on my windows 7 PC.

Next I put a song on it and it seemed to be working ok and then I tried for format the card.Click to expand...

Rule number one:- if it isn't broken then don't fix it.

The issue here is windows will not format Fat32 above 32gb, so invoking the formatter when all you needed was to delete the file was a major mistake.

Personally, your online handle Piratekitty and the fact that you are reselling on the net bothers me. I've pointed you in the right direction this time, but will not respond in the future to your postings.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/3-questions-about-fixing-micro-sd-cards-errors.192060/
Relevancy 29.67%

Hi all, I have monitor gericom 2030 and it has some power board model that I cant find on sell, so I have buy one that is almost same with it. 4 plugs for invetors are same but one connection for t-con board is diffrent and on oroginal board I have pins (5V, 5v, GND, GND, 12v, BL, N/F) and on board that I have buy has ( 12v, 12v, GND, GND, 5v, 5v, GND, N.C, ON, DIM, MS ) So any suggests wich on wich one I should connect?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/different-power-board-on-monitor.190328/
Relevancy 29.24%

I got a M5A99x Evo Re2.0, brand new board and the audio from the rear doesnt work at all when I plug the pink and green plugs. I have an HDMI connecting from my TV to my Gcard, I get audio through the TV but cant seem to get those jacks working. Ive used two different headsets to see if it might have been the headset itself. im really stumped.

A:New board, no sound from front or rear jacks

Have you gone into the sound menu in your control panel and set your default audio device to your headset?

If, under the "playback" tab, the HDMI output is ticked, then this is the problem.

Just click on the correct device(It should either list your headphones or say "high definition audio", or something similar) and then click "set default".

This should solve the problem.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-board-no-sound-from-front-or-rear-jacks.188180/
Relevancy 24.94%

Hello there I have a few things I CPU questions... Newbie upgrade wanna run by you guys I plan on upgrading my processor but Newbie CPU upgrade questions... there are several questions I need answered before I can feel safe with a purchase First off What would be a cheap and efficient upgrade from my current AMD A - ghz CPU Second off I understand my motherboard may not be able to use certain high end processors The link at the end lists available upgrades Just trying to get some games to play faster Due to the belief of my processor bottle-necking my gpu or vice versa Game I want wish to run on high is far cry I know my evga geforce would be up to it graphic wise but my cpu is questionable Also if I wish to self install it instead of going to a tech You think I will be safe or should I get a pro Stock processor and info listedupgraded GPU and PSU http h www hp com ewfrf wc document cc us amp lc en amp dlc en amp docname c N nbsp

A:Newbie CPU upgrade questions...

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-3570K+@+3.40GHz&id=828

The graph of the bottom should help u most of those at the top are within the budget of 170-250$ but then u have to count the motherboard upgrade

The Amd fx 8350 triples the performance of ur cpu but many games dont use 8 cores...

and the Intel i5-3570k is 2 and a half better then ur cpu but is a heavy multitasker

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/newbie-cpu-upgrade-questions.187843/
Relevancy 24.51%

I've been receiving BSODs and after failing to resolve it, I am going to do a clean install, but I want to transfer all my files to an external which I am going to buy later today.

Regarding 1TB hard drives, are they more sensitive than devices that hold less storage space, more fragile? I have been looking at a toshiba brand and WD. Both are 1TB and have 2.0 and 3.0 capability. Despite my research and due to my indecisiveness it is hard to pick between the two. I just don't want a drive to fail on me.

Thinking more about it, would a smaller hard drive be more reliable? I am open to getting a seagate or WD at 250 or 320 gb.

I don't know too much about portable hard drives besides the obvious, so if you could help clear up my confusion, I will greatly appreciate.

Thanks!

A:Questions on portable hard drives (1TB and various brands)

There really is no difference in hard drive brands so I wouldn't get too hung up on which brand to buy. I don't think there is any benefit to getting a smaller drive now over a 1TB. 1TB drives have been out for a long time now, the only time you want to be a bit cautious on buying a big drive is if its the biggest that company offers at that point in time.

For example, a few years back someone (I forget who right now) made a 1.5TB drive and it released with bad firmware causing very early failures - that got 'fixed' with a firmware update, but drives still had an abnormally high failure rate so I think there was something really wrong with those drives initially. Later releases of the same drive were fine. So, don't buy the biggest you can find and things will be fine.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/questions-on-portable-hard-drives-1tb-and-various-brands.183576/
Relevancy 24.94%

Hey guys I ve got a few questions regarding audio recording or rather the tech involved Right now I m using a laptop asus K E biggest mistake of my entire life I want to do some audio recording but there s an annoying hum in the background I know that this is either because of the Audio questions recording fans buzzing Audio recording questions or the fact that I m using an onboard quot sound card quot hooks up straight to my motherboard I plan to do some podcasting and just some plain fun with audio recordings so I need crisp quality with no negative artifacts Seeing that this is a laptop with a warranty which I do not want to void Audio recording questions I am considering a different take on things I want to get an external sound card Audio recording questions via the method of USB or a USB mic headset I know a few audiophiles not an offensive word and they have told me that every thing related to audio that is done externally sounds a lot better than anything an onboard system could do So any tips I ve got my eye on a soundcard and a few headsets and mics tho I don t know which option to choose So the sound card Probably ganna go with the Creative X-Fi Go Pro it has a lot of nice reviews and stuff but they mainly emphasize on audio output and not input so I could be throwing in the water My second option is a USB headset or headsets I don t know any good ones so any tips would be great Third last but not least A USB mic I d like something like the Blue Snowball vanilla or not makes no difference to me So that s about it any ideas Thank you for your time nbsp

A:Audio recording questions

constant humming may be result of poor grounding. make sure you use 3-pin plug from your notebook adapter and the wall plug supports grounding. that being said, onboard aren't designed with quality in mind so it probably have some low hissing. somehow in my experience noise from desktops' onboards are way worse than laptop ones.

but if you're going to do lots of recording, I'd suggest an proper USB microphone. for the same amount of money as the Go! it'd probably have a better input quality. if you already have a good mic, try X-Fi HD USB instead.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/audio-recording-questions.182856/
Relevancy 24.94%

ok fist before I start the question here is my build Desktop Case Cooler Master Elite Mid Tower ATX Case with Window MotherBoard GIGABYTE GA- XA-UD AM AMD X SATA questions CPU/desktop cooling Gb s USB ATX AMD Motherboard Ram Corsair Vengeance Blue GB DDR CPU AMD FX- FX -Core Black Edition Processor CPU/desktop cooling questions Socket AM PS Corsair Builder Series CX watt Plus Certified Power CPU/desktop cooling questions Supply Hard Drive Western Digital Caviar Green TB SATA Intellipower MB Cache Graphic Card VisionTek Products Radeon GB DDR PCI Express Graphics Cards OS Windows ultimate Bit This is a Custom Desktop I bought and put together so I added this just in case so I don t get ask abought what I got Ok im using the Stock fan for the CPU my temps on load for gaming System C CPU C is this good temps and as of right now I ordered mm CPU/desktop cooling questions Fans for the case and want to know what I should get for the CPU im thinking of getting the Corsair Hydro series H since the H wont fit my case do you guys have any other suggestions nbsp

A:CPU/desktop cooling questions

Hi Todd,
That is a bit warm if you are running the 8150 at stock speed , but the H-80 will bring the CPU temp down by 20c +/- . adding a few fans for flow is a good idea as well.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cpu-desktop-cooling-questions.180781/
Relevancy 25.37%

Here are my specs:
Intel C2D 2.8GHz
Mobo Intel DG31PR
4 Gb RAM DDR2
1x250gb seagate HDD
1x1TB seagate HDD

I want to upgrade to HD 7770 for gaming purposes
Q.1.)Can a Antec VP450W handle the card smoothly?
Q.2.)Is the HD 7770 worth the extra buck or should I settle for HD 7750?
Q.3)How much difference does the brand make I am thinking between saphire and asus (I heard negative things about gigabyte & xfx).
Q.4)Asus card mentions it is factory overclocked how much difference in performance does that make?

Thanks.

A:A few questions for GPU upgrade

1. Yes, it should be fine
2. Depends on what the price difference is
3. There's no difference except the warranty period, I wouldn't pay a premium for a "better" brand
4. Don't get a factory overclocked card unless it's the same price as a stock one, you can easily overclock the stock cards yourself.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/a-few-questions-for-gpu-upgrade.181235/
Relevancy 35.26%

My father wants me to find my mother a laptop, he gave me a budget of around $700. In all likelihood she will mostly use it for facebook, facebook games and movies. She will mostly be using the laptop while working in a coffee stand so she can probably plug it in whenever she needs to. She probably wont replace it for some time so something that will hold up well over the years would be nice. She hates change and is used to using windows systems so I'm not sure if she would go for a mac. I really don't know a damn thing about laptops and I have no idea what to look for or where to start so any help would be appreciated.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/looking-for-a-laptop-for-my-mother.181330/
Relevancy 29.24%

Hello Everyone,

Been a long time browser of TS and am glad to finally join. I am looking to utilize a Q6600 processor and the following system board and RAM:

ASUS P5G41T-M LX Plus
Corsair XMS3 1333MHz PC3-10666

The goal is to moderately overclock the Q6600 to 3.2 GHz. In my research, I have read many positive reviews about the stability of ASUS boards, and the DDR3 capability is significant to me. However, from what I have gathered, this board can be fussy when overclocking the CPU. Has anyone had any experience with a similar setup?

I would appreciate any thoughts/comments/suggestions.

Thank you!

A:New project: LGA 775 board w/ DDR3 needed -- thoughts please?

Firstly, why do you need to overclock it? I'm guessing its more because you want to, than necessity, but my thoughts are below.

I run the exact same CPU in my system 24/7 and while it might be long in the tooth compared with most systems on here, it's certainly not lacking at stock speeds as it is.

Not sure if system specs is easily read right now, but for the sake of doubt, mine are: Intel Core2Quad Q6600 G0 stepping (at stock OC with Corsair H50 (push/pull) providing cooling), Abit AW9D-MAX, 8GB OCZ Gold series DDR2-1066, HD6870, Antec HCG-620 PSU, a SSD and six mechanical disks.

I wouldn't call 3.2GHz a moderate OC on the Q6600, that's more like 2.8-3.0GHz. I used to have mine overclocked but the difference was so minimal (in real terms) that the additional heat it gave off and power it consumed made it pointless. I was never able to achieve 3.05GHz or above either, but I've no doubt that more experienced hands would have managed it. Overclocking is my weaker subject in the field of IT generally speaking, and I can't say I've ever really pushed the envelope very far in that regard.

Though that said, I've always found Gigabyte boards to be much more forgiving when it comes to RAM settings. Asus in my experience can be a real nightmare with recognising the default timings and voltages for RAM, and in "my experience" need much more work to achieve the same result.

Another point that needs to be considered is LGA-775 is legacy hardware now, so you'd be spending money on defunct hardware. If you have the CPU it might be better to grab a second-hand board off of eBay or something, or maybe look to something newer and more current.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-project-lga-775-board-w-ddr3-needed-thoughts-please.180344/
Relevancy 29.24%

Bought me recently a new MoBo: P8H67, installed it, killed Realtek onboard in the BIOS, all thus far goes splendid.
Put in SoundMax (from my P5E Lifestyle), hardware checks ok.
Install driver... and here things go awkward: no matter what I try: SoundMax Hi Def is not found/recognized.
Tried both the DVD-soft that came with me P5E, as well as online new drivers, to no use...

Reason for SoundMax: I was slightly baffled by the power behind the tiny card, it was literally mindblowing (over my JBL's).
This power is not found on Realtek hardware, hence.

Prob: I want to keep using the tiny SoundMax, but I desperately need a driver.

Win 7 Ultimate X64 (registered)

Suggestions?

Thank you all:
Ben

A:P5E Lifestyle Board SoundMax to Asus P8H67

List any Problem Devices

Make sure devices are connected and powered on
Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post
On the other hand, if no devices are listed, tell me so
Generate and attach a DirectX report

Click Start->Run, enter dxdiag and click OK
===> If you?re running 32 bit Windows, dxdiag will launch on its own
===> If you?re running 64 bit Windows, you?ll see 64-bit DxDiag. Click it to launch the 64-bit version of dxdiag
Notice progress in lower left window corner
When done, click Save Information button and save to your Desktop
In TechSpot window, use the paper clip icon to attach the report. (If you don't see icon you may need to first click Go Advanced)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/p5e-lifestyle-board-soundmax-to-asus-p8h67.178931/
Relevancy 24.51%

I was on Amazon com looking at the Logitech gaming mice and keyboards In particular this keyboard http www amazon com Logitech- - TF amp coliid I HFPICXO YVFH amp colid CXCNQ RANJ And this mouse http www amazon com gp product B amp creative amp creativeASIN B J GDXI I ve never owned a gaming mouse or keyboard before So I am wondering what the benefits really are in gameplay Starting questions keyboard and Gaming mouse off with the mouse I can t recall what my Microsoft laser mouse DPI is but I m sure it s nowhere near the of the Logitech gaming mouse above How much difference does that really make say when playing a shooter How does it affect gameplay Is it Gaming keyboard and mouse questions easier to aim quickly and accurately Does it help you to play better There must be some reason people like them I d like to understand how beneficial they are As for all the extra buttons I don t honestly see myself using them Do people really find all those buttons on a mouse helpful What for What do people activate with them On to the Logitech gaming keyboards The one I linked above I think is their entry level model I like the backlit keys feature That is pretty cool Some of the other stuff seems pretty useless to me personally The defining feature of this keyboard really seems to be the macro keys So the question is what are they good for I m trying to imagine what I d want to macro in a shooter for example What would I want to macro playing some RPG What would I want to macro playing World of Warcraft Once again people like these a lot for some reason but I am honestly clueless about what specifically it is So please enlighten the clueless Thanks a lot for any feedback on this stuff I appreciate it nbsp

A:Gaming keyboard and mouse questions

The mouse buttons can come in handy for things like reloading during gameplay. Hitting the mouse button with your thumb can certainly be quicker than hitting it with a finger on the keyboard.

The sensitivity and the acceleration (measured in G's, for g force) can be quite important, but so is having a good quality mouse mat to go with it. Ultimately speaking the higher the rating the more accurate the mouse is, and how sensitive it is to movement during gameplay.

Having adjustable DPI settings can be useful for things like sniping, where you can knock it down a touch to make the scope sight move slower. I use my Logitech G9 mouse at the highest setting all the time, but the option to reduce it on the fly can be handy some times.

As for the keyboard, those extra buttons could be used to perform multi-button actions during gameplay, or just used to perform certain functions in replacement of the existing keyboard buttons in use.

I must admit that having owned many gaming keyboards, I've ever really used the macro functions, so someone else would probably be better explaining this.

The backlit keys are indeed very helpful, especially in late night gaming sessions.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/gaming-keyboard-and-mouse-questions.177732/
Relevancy 25.37%

Okay, I'm modifying an HP Pavilion P6-2107C and am re-using hardware from an old Media Center WinXP PC.

This new PC uses Windows 7 and is currently stock. The info is in my profile and the board won't let me post the HP link to my product specs.

Anyway, what I'd really love to do is use the audio and video interfaces from that old PC.

Trouble is, it only has 1 PCI-E X16 and 3 PCI-E x1 slots.

Since I'm using the stock graphics card, can I use the PCI-E x16 slot to install my old PCI Coax in/out card? Does that even work?

If not, is there an adapter that will allow me to plug an old PCI cards into one of my USB 3.0 or 2.0 ports?

Any help would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

Pax, harmonia,

Brian G. Philbin

A:Basic PCI vs. PCI-E questions

You can try something like this.

Amazon - StarTech.com PCI Express to PCI Adapter Card (PEX1PCI1)
Newegg - StarTech PCI Express to PCI Adapter Card Model PEX1PCI1
The PCI card will not work in a PCIe card slot without an adapter.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
PCIe usage:

PCIe x1, x4, and x8 will work in a PCIe x16 card slot.
PCIe x4 has pinouts to detect PCIe x1, and x4 cards.
PCIe x8 has pinouts to detect PCIe x1, x4, and x8 cards.
PCIe x16 has pinouts to detect PCIe x1, x4, x8, and x16 cards.
If the backside of the card slot (for instance x1) is open, you can use faster cards (for instance x4, x8,or x16) but the card will only run at the speed of the card slot (x1).

I know a guy that cut away the x4, x8, x16 pins to use a graphics card in a x1 card slot. It was an extra card laying around so he didn't care about physical damage and he only had extra PCIe x1 card slots available. He wanted the card for a special project he was involved in. I was surprised when I read that it was successful.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/basic-pci-vs-pci-e-questions.178292/
Relevancy 24.51%

hello!

I was wondering if there is any software tools around that can tell if a hard drive is spinning at 7200rpm? or way to test for performance?

the reason i'm asking, given the price of new hard drives now a days, I am looking to upgrade my gaming system and would like to hold off buying a new hard drive. mine is a SATA Seagate 500gig and is working great but it's about 5 years old.

the age kinda worries me but it still works great, did you think I should delay getting a new one for a while?

A:Couple questions about hard drives

I would hold off for now, if your current hard disk is working fine, and offers enough storage there is no need to upgrade it.

There are many factors that dictate the overall lifespan of a hard disk, but essentially is boils down them either dying quickly or lasting years. Among my many hard disks I do have one Western Digital hard disk that is now older than your current disk. It is perfectly healthy, and I imagine it will last a few more years yet.

Performance might downgrade ever so slightly over time due to general wear and tear, but if its working, I'd just carry on using it until prices come down. I doubt we'll see them back to previous lows until at least the fourth quarter this year, or possibly the first quarter of 2013.

On another note, it is important to keep regular backups of important files and data though, as hard disks have been known to fail giving very little warning, or in some cases no warning at all. The age of your hard disk has nothing to do with keeping backups though, that is something everybody should do to safeguard important data.

So keep regular backups, and continue to use it as you do now, and once prices are back to normal upgrade it for something newer, should you need the extra capacity.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/couple-questions-about-hard-drives.177535/
Relevancy 29.67%

i was wondering if HIS H675FS1G Radeon HD 6750 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card would work on a MSI G31TM-P21 LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard.

Card # at Newegg=N82E16814161395"]

Board#at Newegg= N82E16813130234

o wait the card is ddr3 , does that mean it won't work?

A:Graphics card compatible with this board?

Sure, the card will work fine. The graphics card memory is independent from the memory type of the motherboard.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/graphics-card-compatible-with-this-board.176985/
Relevancy 24.51%

I was given an HP flat screen Monitor yesterday with just the cord like this http://www.pcsrvc.com/usermanual/Image35.gif not THE exact PICTURE.

Amongst the other items was a power cord AC/DC Apapter that I've ONLY seen used on laptops.
MODEL ADPC1260AB
S/N 1260AE60405370

My tower is HP & I did plug it in as is BUT NOTHING. My question is,is the cord I got the power cord? TIA.

A:Questions about a monitor power cord

learninmypc said:

I was given an HP flat screen Monitor yesterday with just the cord like this http://www.pcsrvc.com/usermanual/Image35.gif not THE exact PICTURE.

Amongst the other items was a power cord AC/DC Apapter that I've ONLY seen used on laptops.
MODEL ADPC1260AB
S/N 1260AE60405370

My tower is HP & I did plug it in as is BUT NOTHING. My question is,is the cord I got the power cord? TIA.Click to expand...

Along with the attached picture of the adapter, on what appears to be a bar code is the alphanumeric number 1008555A0743 s p a c e ADPC1260AE

I'm hoping somebody here can help me cause I don't want to fry the monitor or blow a fuse in the house. Better safe asking here than sorry & not being able to get her for help. TIA.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/questions-about-a-monitor-power-cord.176294/
Relevancy 24.51%

Hey everyone,

First time poster here looking for some help!

My PC is about 3 years old now and I'm at the point where it's ready for some upgrades. I poured a good 900 into the tower, but cheaped out on the video card and RAM because I didn't have the demand for it at the time.

I've got a list of all my specs and I have a decent knowledge of components and their roles but I can't seem to find any help on what my power supply can handle.

So my question is, when I'm taking apart my tower, what kind of information do I need to take from it before I can decide how much ram I can handle and what kind of video card I can upgrade to. As for the actual installation I can figure that out.

Thanks a ton!

A:Upgrading video card and RAM questions

With that many hours, just purchase and install a new power supply, paying close attention to the output of the +12V rail, which should be 18A or greater, and the unit shoujld be 80 Plus Certified.. Power output should be 500 Watt or greater, but the +12V is actually more important. Quality units such as PC Power and Cooling, OCZ, Cooler Master, Corsair (my choice) Enermax, ThermalTake, Antec, Blind Sentey, ESP Group, Eneermax, Ampaq, or ASUS.

Use the information on your existing memory to determine if it is DDR, DDR2, or DDR3, then order 1 GB modules... Windows XP will handle 2 GB, sometimes 2.5GB, Windows 7 should handle 4 GB.

What you should also consider is whether to replace the hard drive... after 3 years, your existing hard drive may have only another year, or less, to go before it fails. Use it as a backup now, and get a new hard drive... Western Digital Black or Seagate would be my choices.

Then buy the best video card that you can afford, based on what your motherboard website will suggest.

If you have an HP, Gateway, eMachines, Sony, Compaq, or Dell, it may be time to just replace it all by building your own.

Good luck.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgrading-video-card-and-ram-questions.176122/
Relevancy 24.94%

I ve recently upgraded to a i - k from an Athlon II X This is the first personal intel build I ve done for myself to questions have i5-2500k and upgraded a I I have spent I upgraded to a i5-2500k and have questions a huge amount of time with AMD and almost none with Intel especially with overclocking Now I ve got questions because some things are not consistent between the two companies First- Temps My previous Athlon II x was cool I slapped an Arctic Freezer on it with Arctic Silver and it idled at room temperature - c and never exceeded c on Prime All the cores stayed within one degree of each other and the heat was generally even I notice my shiny new i - k is so much hotter despite lower power use and similar TDP I put a CoolerMaster Hyper N on it what I think is a better cooler and it still idles in the c area and goes as high as c under Prime all stock settings That and my cores are all at different temps usually Core is the coolest Core is close to it and Cores - run about - c hotter than the others I ve tried undervolting- It passed hours of Prime at v but the temps were only marginally better Like - c better Is uneven temps normal for Sandy Bridge Processors Is it normal for them to idle at higher temps and run hotter than AMD chips Can I not hit room temps at idle with air cooling Are my temps to high for this cooler CoolerMaster Hyper N What are safe temps for Intel chips They similar to AMD s And for overclocking I ve gotten ghz at vcore and I m now in the middle of running Prime for hours on my ghz overclock at vcore its been hours and the hottest its gotten is c so far and that kinda scares me What are the usual voltages an i - k needs to hit certain frequencies How much vcore do you think I need to pump into this to get ghz What are the safe Vcore settings for Sandy Bridge What is considered a good overclocker when it comes to i - k processors Oh and one final thing I ve never seen my processor at ghz at stock settings It stays at ghz almost of the time it is not in idle even in Prime for hours If not that then higher That s good but is that normal for everyone Thank you for your time My system specs are CoolerMaster Hyper N Asrock Z Extreme Gen G Skill Sniper x Gb mhz WD Caviar Blue gb OCZ ModXtreme w Modular PSU Rosewill Smart One Case nbsp

A:I upgraded to a i5-2500k and have questions

Ok, rather than write a tech version of War and Peace, I'd point you towards a couple of good-ish OC guides for 2500K/2600K.

A couple of points I would add. The Rosewill chassis is ok -not great. I think the fans are ~35cfm are they not (similar to Silverstone?).
The CM cooler is also in the same category. 2500K/2600K run pretty cool and at stock, but once you start pushing up Vcore the heat production does ramp accordingly. The N520 isn't a bad performer but it could be hampered by limited chassis cooling.

Bear in mind that most reviews would test overclock with resultant temps using a high-end air cooler or water, either in a full-size tower or open bench stand. Both the choice of cooler and chassis have a marked effect on temps....I'd be more than a little surprised if your Athlon II got anywhere close to the clock/temp ratio using the same basic setup.

Having said that, not all 2500K/2600K are created equal. D1 revision typically requires more voltage (and hence more heat dissipation) than D2 revision...and both D1 and D2 clock easier than D0 (Engineering samples). In addition some FPO batches also have better VID and OC characteristics. There is quite a market for certain FPO's and numerous threads devoted to the subject. As such -and as with most CPU's- buying a single off-the-shelf CPU is basically luck of the draw.
And in answer to your question- Yes, different core temps are pretty much standard for any quad-core- although they usually aren't too disparate if you are running a stress test (all cores at 100%)
Also:
1.25v is not bad for 4.5G. Seen better, seen a few worse.
- Is 1.25v set in the UEFI, or is it what's reported in CPU-Z (or similar monitoring software) i.e. voltage after Vdroop

[OCN overclocking guide]
[Clunk's overclocking guide]

I would suggest checking out the links, and if there is anything in particular that is unclear or not covered in the guides then post back.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-upgraded-to-a-i5-2500k-and-have-questions.173830/
Relevancy 24.51%

Hi all,
I am considering buying a second 5770/6770 card to crossfire. I could buy a second card for £85. Performance should be similar to the 5870 card. My PSU is an Antec True Power 650w. Is there anyone here with experience of a similar system? The alternative would be to buy a single more powerful card but I'm trying to get a boost in performance without spending too much.
Would heat be an issue?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Windows 7 x64
ASRock Z68 Extreme 4
i5 2500K
8GB RAM
ATI 5770
HP 2475w

A:ATI Radeon HD 5770 Crossfire questions

That PSU should be just fine for crossfire.

Yes heat will be a issue with two cards on top of each other.

I say go with a single card upgrade. Sell your 5770 and get a 5870 no need for xfire and all its driver CCC problems etc..

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ati-radeon-hd-5770-crossfire-questions.172379/
Relevancy 29.67%

I have been going through the process of building a computer for the first time and the motherboard is the final piece of the puzzle I am seriously considering the Asus Maximus Gene-Z as the motherboard to go along with GB Hawks OC in SLI on mATX a Is SLI usually on board avoided? air to go along with an OC i - k but I have been seeing some concerns about temperatures in general As far Is SLI on a mATX board on air usually avoided? as cooling the board would be in a mid-tower that has the dimensions of the full tower Storm Sniper with its default fans and the CPU would be cooled by a Corsair A I do have a few ATX motherboard in mind if the mATX option isn t ideal for SLI including the MSI Z A-GD ASUS P Z -V PRO or ASRock Z EXTREME GEN i - K Corsair A GB GTX Hawk in SLI x GB G Skill Sniper DDR Samsung Spinpoint TB Asus x DVD-Drive Cooler Master Storm Sniper Seasonic X- nbsp

A:Is SLI on a mATX board on air usually avoided?

Personally if I was building a computer without having any hardware to start with I would probably aim for a higher end single card rather than 2 older and now mid range 460 GTX cards. That way in the future you can pickup another higher performance card and then use SLI.

As for mATX and SLI, as long as the board supports it then there is no problem. You have stated its in a full tower so airflow won't be a problem. You might find some problems such as PCI 1x slot blocked/unusable when you have two double slot (two expansion slot height) PCI-E graphics cards in the motherboard.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-sli-on-a-matx-board-on-air-usually-avoided.171814/
Relevancy 30.1%

Hi all I have an asus x s laptop and a while ago the power jack inside broke off and went further into the unit I managed to take the laptop apart and retrieve the jack I then rather stupidly attempted to desolder board PCB Splintered the remainder of the unit from the board and found that apparently ASUS use diamond as solder that or I wasn t doing something right Anyway point is that the contacts stayed in the board no matter what and only with force Splintered PCB board and heat did they come out unfortunately however there are still two contacts firmly in the board Anyway as you can all imagine the inevitable happened The board warped slightly and on one of the corner points the iron went through and splintered the side picture attached A couple of questions Number And I think I already know the answer to this As this has happened will this be detrimental to the running of the laptop I m going to guess that the second I turn it on should I be successful in replacing that the power will short and the world will end or something Number Since last using the laptop I can only assume that the rest of the components processor RAM Drive etc are still in good working order and I m wondering just how successful anyone may think it would be to sell the laptop as spare parts or would I be better off taking into the yard with a shotgun Sorry about the cynical nature of this post that s just how I am that and I m incredibly annoyed at myself for thinking that me soldering iron delicate electronics was ever going to have any other outcome than this nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/splintered-pcb-board.171757/
Relevancy 29.67%

Need info old board P4SD-VL

Hi,

<I'm trying to fix a very old pc; it's almost ready but I can't set front USB ports.>

That“s what I said. But more than a simple thing I need; USB frontal ports are working now. The matter is I can“t find drivers to set Sound, LAN, Modem... The pc is working fine, I've installed operating system, office programs and some other software without trouble.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mauricio

A:Need old board P4SD-VL front USB pin description

Who made the motherboards chipset? VIA?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-old-board-p4sd-vl-front-usb-pin-description.170893/
Relevancy 24.94%

Hi guys I have a few questions about webcams and their capabilities and using tvs as and about webcams monitors Questions computer monitors My first question is can a webcam with a usb connection be used directly with an old CRT television If not is there a reasonably priced adapter I can get that will allow me to do this My second question is there a way I can set up said television as a computer monitor Image quality is not an issue And then is it possible to run multiple tv monitors from the one computer Third question can I run more than one webcam on a Questions about webcams and monitors single computer This is the same webcam with usb connection from earlier Could I potentially say run webcams on the one computer I guess from what I have asked you have probably worked out that I am trying to Questions about webcams and monitors get a set up of screens probably either old tv or monitors that are each showing an image from webcams without having to have separate computers Any help on any of these matters would be thoroughly appreciated nbsp

A:Questions about webcams and monitors

well the easiest one to answer is using a computer with a tv, yes its easy and works exactly the same way you use it with a normal monitor but it depends 1. what plugs does the tv have (HTMI, VGA or DVI) 2. what graphics card do you have on you computer right now (because it is possible with older cards but can be buggy) and 3. how many tv screens you want to hook up to your computer (may need dual graphic cards)

I just recently hooked up my gaming pc to a 50inch plasma and was playing metro 2033 and watching blueray movies and worked perfectly (actually runs at a lower resolution then normal computer monitors so it runs faster)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/questions-about-webcams-and-monitors.171037/
Relevancy 28.81%

hello, ive had this desktop computer for years now and the processor is extremely outdated. I have been looking around trying to figure out how i can upgrade the processor speed but it seems the more i look up the less i know about computers...

anyways i have: Board: MICRO-STAR MS-7184
Serial Number: 5922655884

current proccessor: 2.00 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64
256 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Not hyper-threaded

I believe the socket is a 939? when i looked up these specs i found that the highest processor i can place is " AMD Athlon 64 X2 (up to 4800+) and Sempron (up to 3200+) processors".

Can anyone verify this?Or is it not worth investing in a new processor? i am looking to find the best upgrade rather then spending cash to buy a new computer. Any advice would be extremely appreciated.

A:Looking to upgrade processor, board Micro-Star MS-7184

Hey Noctis,

Truth be told you are better off upgrading your Motherboard, RAM, and Processor if you want to see any substantial difference. A socket 939 is quite a bit old and since then they have move onto the AM2, AM2+, AM3, AM3+, etc sockets for AMD Mobos and Processors.

Socket 939 processors are to the point where they are no longer just old enough to be cheap. Since they are no longer made they are old enough to be more expensive than modern counterparts in many cases.

When upgrading the MOBO and CPU you want to look into more than just the processor speed. Important factors are also the types and amount of cache for a processor, number of cores, and RAM that can be used with that CPU.

The newer Athlon II X2s as an example are a significant leap from the original Athlon 64s and a discerning buyer online can find them significantly cheap. AM2+ boards are currently somewhat inexpensive and so is DDR2 RAM. They are currently at the stage where they are old enough to be somewhat cheap but with the newest socket and processors being sold by AMD now it may change iwthin the next few years to start getting expensive again from being old enough.

You also have the route of a AM3 with DDR2 or DDR3 Ram option available which are also moderately priced.

If you check out the website pricewatch.com you can look at pricing for several different mobos, cpus, etc from various websites easily. I just completed a full build including case, HDD, Mobo, CPU, DVD-RW, RAM, Graphics card, etc for just over $350.00

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/looking-to-upgrade-processor-board-micro-star-ms-7184.170905/
Relevancy 24.94%

I m trying to spare some money so bare with me motherboard my regarding Couple of questions here if i can upgrade this thing to the max of its capabilities it would be quite an achievement for me System Specs - AMD ATHLON X GHZ GB DDR DUAL CHANNEL KINGSTON RAM v tb Sata HDD XFX Geforce GT mb Video Card Bios Revision Version ASUS M AVM Mother Board Okay so a couple of questions regarding my Build I can up the processor to an AM but have very limited choices So i m going to add a AMD PHENOM X ghz Socket AM My hyperthreading will be locked at - Will this be a performance issue My Ram isnt running in dual mode I ve got gb Couple of questions regarding my motherboard - gb - gb - gb In that order is this an issue theyre the same brand and voltage My last question I want to get a better video card Maybe an ATI Raden made by XFX To be frank Am i going to bottleneck Hard nbsp

A:Couple of questions regarding my motherboard

imo use the two 2Gb sticks of ram in duel channel and leave out the two 1Gb sticks also a 6870 should be a good choice for your setup and yes there will be a small bottleneck but just crank up the settings and let the video card do the work for you. are you upgrading your motherboard? the cpu you picked will not work in your current board as far as i can tell. this is the best cpu you can get for your socket AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM2+ .after some reading it looks like am3 will work in your board you might have to upgrade your bios first.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/couple-of-questions-regarding-my-motherboard.170903/
Relevancy 24.94%

Hey all, I am Mimis from Greece and this is my first post. I'd like to learn about SLi/CrossFire bridges.

1)SLi/CF bridge increase performance a bit or much?

2) If I buy for example a Gigabyte or MSi motherboard with P67/Z68 chipset that supports SLi/CF then how I'd get the SLi bridge (Which is found only on nForce chipsets) and how to get the crossfire bridge? (which is found on ??? chipsets )

A:SLI / Crossfire bridge questions

1) the increment in performance (SLi/CF) depends on the graphics card generation for example :
when you put nvidia two nvidia gtx 570 in sli you get about 90% performance increment.
but when you put nvidia two nvidia 8600 gt in sli you get only 40% performance increment.
and the same thing with ati CF.
2)the Sli or CF bridge comes with the graphics card not with the motherboard .

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sli-crossfire-bridge-questions.170735/
Relevancy 24.51%

So I have an Asus N61Jv and am wanting up upgrade the memory from 4 to 8GB. I know that it's DDR3 1066 (PC3-8500) and DDR3 1333 (PC3-10600) compatible. I was wondering if I might be able to step up some more on it like 1600?

A:Upgrading laptop memory, questions

Unless the laptop can be overclocked, I do not believe that will benefit you much.

Which version of Windows 7 is installed, 32 bit or 64 bit? If 32 bit, then additonal RAM won't be utilized.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgrading-laptop-memory-questions.170187/
Relevancy 25.37%

Hello Techspot It s been a long time and as always I so appreciate the great help from you the community You guys are the best I got a new job in IT doing support for a medium sized medical facilitiy with about computers on a network domain connected to the internet by a comcast router We have satellite offices in different towns one with about computers and the other with only that one has a workgroup setup All have different routers and their own internet connect provider but we want to establish a very secure and and encrypted VPN between the three Corporate LAN-to-LAN questions so we can primarily send sensitive data through on a daily basis and use a LAN messenger we have installed at the office here to communicate easily with the other offices It s my first IT job and honestly its a bit overwhelming but I am learning so much and its a great place to work The only VPN experience I have is very small using a mesh hamachi network to play games with my friends I did try using hamachi as a test here which worked flawlessly with the LAN messenger we have here and the other office But hamachi isn t very good for big scale operations so I ve read and as configured isn t a true secure infrastructure as data goes to the hamachi servers first mesh Basically I need your suggestions on setting up a VPN that is consistently reliable easy to set up and manage and secure no outside servers or middlemen Is there a way to install VPN software perhaps OpenVPN on a single machine in a LAN and install it on another LAN that will make all computers visible to each other on both networks If not what is the easiest way to do this I don t have too much experience Corporate LAN-to-LAN questions with installing new routers but if thats the best option let me know in laaman terms the best way to set it up Or can we just use the routers we have Let me know if you need more information You guys are Corporate LAN-to-LAN questions the best nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/corporate-lan-to-lan-questions.169205/
Relevancy 25.37%

Hi all,

I'm looking at this motherboard for my build:

ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3

I read online that PCI-E 2.0 cards should work. But I also wanna make sure that SLI will work with 2.0 cards, or if any other problems can come from using 2.0 cards. If anyone knows or has experience with this board, or any other board with PCI-E 3.0, I'd appreciate some help.

This board looks great and is at the perfect price for me, and this is the only thing really holding me back from getting it.

Thanks!

A:PCI-E 3.0 questions

PCIE 3.0 is completely backwards compatible...or forward compatible if you like

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pci-e-3-0-questions.169092/
Relevancy 28.81%

Hi y'all

I got a Intel Server Board L440GX with the dual Pentium III processors and i cant get it to recognize the Mylex eXtreme RAID 2000 FW 7.01-00. I have never configured a raid before but i think i got it right(not sure) anyway the bios says that no h.d. or likewise is installed. I ain't got any ideas on what to do please help

A:Intel server board L440GX RAID issues

bwta, sound like you better take a look at:
http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/l440gx/AcceleRAID1_0.pdf

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/intel-server-board-l440gx-raid-issues.168173/
Relevancy 24.94%

For reference I am building the following i K Thermalright Silver Arrow CPU Cooler Kingston HyperX Blu GB MHz DDR RAM x GB dual channel ASRock Z Extreme Crucial M GB SSD Coolermaster Silent pro Gold W PSU Asus Xonar DX soundcard Gigabyte GTX ti X SLI Coolermaster CM II Advanced Case x TB HDD x TB HDD x GB HDD SATA DVD Drive I have some questions mostly regarding the SSD because I do not wish to install OS build before tomorrow SSD Questions I regarding software etc only to find I ve messed Questions regarding SSD before I build tomorrow something up in the BIOS and need to re-format I am going to improvise my way through the Questions regarding SSD before I build tomorrow various SSD optimization guides out there but I am not confident about the details especially since a lot of them relate to older SSD drive technology I am not sure if some of the process is now quot automated quot on the newer SSD s like the Crucial M Please flag anything that stands out My action plan Install SSD drive into one of the two Intel GBPS sata III controllers on my motherboard go into BIOS and find quot SATA Controller quot make sure it is set to AHCI Mode FIRMWARE UPDATES are they necessary and is it possible to do via USB Install Windows Ultimate -bit no turning back now hopefully Install my four SATA hard drives into the GBPS Sata II ports Verify quot TRIM quot is enabled Verify scheduled disk defragmentation is disabled SYSTEM RESTORE I do not wish to disable this Is it possible to keep my restore points on another HDD Disable drive indexing PAGE FILE in some instances my video editing software Adobe After Effects will try to eat up all GB of RAM and then some For this reason I don t think that disabling the page file will do me many favours I would like to minimize it s size though or if possible use another hard drive for it Disable hibernation That s it Is there anything else I should consider nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/questions-regarding-ssd-before-i-build-tomorrow.167196/
Relevancy 24.94%

1) I have an X58 Platinum SLI Motherboard, is this RAM going to be compatible with my MB? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00339X1EM?ie=UTF8&tag=cursegaming0f-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00339X1EM

Also, it looks like it comes with 2 sticks of RAM. I have 3 slots so I'd have to places 2 orders, so wouldn't I end up with 1 extra stick?

2) The inside of my case is pretty dusty, would that affect performance at all?

3) I have an Intel i7 920, are the newer i7 processors enough of an improvement in performance that it would be worth upgrading?

4) Same question in regards to my graphics card. I have an nvidia GeForce GTX 260.

5) Is there any reason to buy http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0036Q7MV0 other then the storage space?

A:A few questions about compatability and performance

Alright, first off from what Ive looked up on your motherboard and that ram, they don't look to be compatible. I can suggest you some that will work if you like. As for the 2 packs, since your board only supports 3 RAM slots, then yes you would end up with a extra stick. Which you could save for the future or just order 3 separate 4gib sticks or w.e your preference is.

Your case- It being dusty will affect performance, when your board and other hardware is cover with dust, it will cause malfunctions and overheating. Which could result in things such as BSOD's , you'd want to get that cleaned out before doing any upgrading.

Your processor upgrade is also something you'd have to choose for yourself, the newer i7's are indeed great CPU's and would be worth upgrading too if you wanted. But it all depends on what you plan on doing with your machine.

Your graphics card upgrade is again to your discretion. If you don't do any type of gaming where u desire max graphics or anything of that sort, then your card is fine for casual use. But if you do intend on gaming, i would recommend upgrading to a better card.

as for the HDD you posted, well no there is no need, unless you feel you need more disk space. If your just looking for a better preforming disk, i suggest looking into SSD's .

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/a-few-questions-about-compatability-and-performance.166472/
Relevancy 25.37%

Hello, its been a little while, I always used to build my computers and it was a challenge a few years back. Personally I mainly use my PC now for work and surfing.

My eldest daughter is pretty into her games and she had an alienware laptop that was a pile of rubbish but when it did work was pretty impressive.

She wants a gaming desktop to play very latest games and I have had a quick look and think £1250-£2000 is way too much. I see some have dual Graphics cards that cost £250 each but all the rest of the stuff in there is not all that expensive is it.

A few tips would be much appreciated from folk up to date with what would be needed.

Thanks

A:Gaming PC a few questions

Well right now the new Intel Sandy Bridge is a good processor choice but if you can wait AMD is coming out with brand new cpus with new architecture this June. I would wait to see what they have to offer.

By the way, what games does she like to play/want to be able to play on a PC? What is your budget?

Because AMD is about to release new cpus their certain current Phenom II Quad-cores and Thuban 6 cores are dropping significantly in price. There are those that say why spend money on soon to be outdated but depending on what she wants to do with the system and the fact you can get really good video cards it might be very doable price wise and still have a great gaming system.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/gaming-pc-a-few-questions.165502/
Relevancy 25.37%

Hey

I'm considering to buy a USB hub.
These are the ones available.
http://www.netshop.no/Avdelinger/Datautstyr/Kabler/Huber.aspx
http://www.komplett.no/k/search.aspx?q=usb hub&bn=10442&mfr=
Sorry for the sites is not in english.

Anyway
I don't know which one to pick. To me, quality is important.
And I need at least 4 USB's on the hub.

Power supply, is that important when all the devices is USB powered?
How about latency when several devices is connected? Will that rise when there are more devices connected?

Btw, all devices are USB 2.0. No 1.1 or 3.0 needed

Thanks.

A:USB hub questions

the Powered USB Hub is a desirable device.(*)
USB 3.0 devices are not yet very common,
and all USB 2.0 hardware is backward compatible to USB 1.1

(*) Some devices do better without a hub connection, eg: Keyboard and Mouse.
Other actually require external power: the max current per USB connection is 500ma.
You should understand that an external HD (with a motor) will need more than than and the Hub is a great choice.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/usb-hub-questions.164602/
Relevancy 24.94%

I have a Compaq presario I got from my mother in law she bought in 2004....I've got Windows XP running on it and it serves me just fine for all my other needs. I upgraded the Ram about a year ago to 1.25 GB. My girl needs it to start school online. Now this workhorse has some issues such as loading slow on startup and other things that I fix perodically and can deal with.....I guess the question is Should I donate this and buy her a new desktop? Or should I upgrade to 2 Gigs and pay to replace the motherboard and processor? Or should I just get her a laptop and keep my workhouse for internet and basic computing? Also how much more do you recommend I upgrade and with what, if any if I decide to not send this to the graveyard?

A:General upgrade questions

Ok DoleJ, For very little you can pick up a brand new netbook for your daughter's schooling needs, with 160GB hdd and win7 starter. So little it would cost approx 1/3 of a new decent laptop.

I would not upgrade the compaq motherboard etc, unless you can do it for under $300NZ, in all honesty - it is not worth that. Compaq's do over heat, and the solder on the motherboard can compromise component contact/connection. - Just make sure you do your housework - and keep it clean and tidy as possible.

To upgrade or refurbish the mother board is another option to look at - however that will still cost more than it's approximated worth (without looking at it).

I am impressed it has lasted 6 years so far...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/general-upgrade-questions.156682/
Relevancy 24.08%

Hi I m thinking of building a new PC or more accurately speccing a new-build PC from a manufacturer and I have a couple of options regarding the processor and graphics card I ll mainly be using it for games and of new and regarding PC for processor Couple choice questions card a graphics the internet Firstly am I right in thinking that the Intel multicore processors are now generally considered superior to AMD That s what I ve been reading Couple of questions regarding processor and graphics card choice for a new PC anyway Anyway assuming I m correct in this assumption I have two options regarding the processor- I can either go with the Intel i or Couple of questions regarding processor and graphics card choice for a new PC the new i K both are the same price I think I m leaning towards the because as far as I can tell from what I ve read it s basically a X Extreme Edition without the unlocked multiplier and has cores versus the K s plus I m a bit wary of going with the K considering it s had some faults so far However it is the quot newer quot processor so I m not too sure Also if it affects things the K is professionally overclocked to GHz while the doesn t appear to be overclocked at all Regarding graphics cards I have a couple of options on those too Standard option no upcharge is the nVidia GTX MB Then if I go with the K I can upgrade to the GB NVIDIA GTX Dual-GPU Graphics card for about If I go with the I can upgrade to the GB Dual-GPU AMD HD for Any ideas Summary Which processor is better- Intel i or i K overclocked to GHz Which graphics card is best- nVidia MB GTX Dual-GPU GB NVIDIA GTX upcharge or Dual-GPU GB AMD HD upcharge Thanks in advance for any help you can give me Dave nbsp

A:Couple of questions regarding processor and graphics card choice for a new PC

2600k and for gpu comes down to features, its 3d, cuda and physx (nvidia) vs eyefinity (radeon) as both gpus are pretty much equal in games performance

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/couple-of-questions-regarding-processor-and-graphics-card-choice-for-a-new-pc.163291/
Relevancy 29.67%

Hi, (First Post)

While it is often true that when you get no post after startup, that it is often the powersupply - it would be nice to know if the motherboard is functioning properly.
I use power supply testers, a great time saver, but does anyone know of a reasonalby inexpensive motherboard tester on the market?

A:Board test equipment

Well, I have seen a few mobo/ram testers on Ebay but have no idea how good they are. Just do a search on there for motherboard tester and several will come up, they are about £20.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/board-test-equipment.162741/
Relevancy 24.51%

Okay so I ve recently been examining the Desktop PC Buying Guide for the past few days particularly the Enthusiast s PC The thing is though I have a very important question that makes me look like a total noob Do most motherboards have wireless internet capability already wired in I mean as far as my knowledge goes a for custom computer about Newbie build Wi-Fi questions they don t The motherboard on my Asus laptop is obviously made by Asus while its Wi-Fi adapter is made by Intel not to mention I ve seen plenty of hardware Wi-Fi cards for the motherboard The trouble is I was reading in one of the articles about a motherboard that had Wi-Fi capability Or at least I THOUGHT it did it s pretty likely I ve misconstrued things a little That is question number one Question number two is assuming that the Wi-Fi adapter is NOT built into the motherboard what would be a good middle-of-the-line Wi-Fi adapter to purchase It d probably be important to add that I Newbie questions about Wi-Fi for a custom computer build m a relatively hardcore gamer and I d like an adapter with reasonably uninterrupted connectivity and pretty decent speed Any input would be appreciated Thanks nbsp

A:Newbie questions about Wi-Fi for a custom computer build

Don't worry, we were all once n00bs

Answer no. 1: NO. Even newer motherboards usually do not have wireless capabilities built int. But: more and more are hitting the market with Wi-Fi built in, that's for sure. High-end motherboards can sometimes have built in Wi-Fi connection, you'll notice a small antennae-connector at the back if that's the case. And such motherboards are getting more common by the day.

But the average motherboard does not have built in Wi-Fi.

Some other TechSpot hero will have to answer the second question :| , I'm not skilled with what to buy and what not to buy. But I can tell you some things to look for. As for radio physics, the more antennas your adapter has, the better the connectivity - and this is (close to) always the case. This does not mean that "one-antennae" adapters are bad, but I would personally select a multi-antennae adapter since I'm a hardcore gamer .

PCIe-adapters will be more lag-free than ordinary PCI adapters, btw.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/newbie-questions-about-wi-fi-for-a-custom-computer-build.162776/
Relevancy 25.37%

Hey guys just had a few questions regarding my laptop and upgrades. I currently have a Asus g50vt ( Intel core 2 duo P7450@ 2.13, 4.0gb RAM, Nvidia Geforce 9800m 512mb.) And I was going to upgrade the cpu to a Intel Core 2 Duo T9600 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819111006&cm_re=T9600-_-19-111-006-_-Product

So my question is will this cpu fit with my laptop? Would It cause any problems? Also my laptop comes with this overclocking feature, will it work with this cpu? Thanks guys.

A:Upgrading questions

Aren't cpus usually soldered in laptops? Or am I way off? I know in some cases you can do it, but in others the option is not possible.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgrading-questions.162217/
Relevancy 24.08%

I apologize in advance for any typos I don t catch and fix I m trying to type with a wrist brace on What are you going to use the PC for Gaming How much is your budget Not yet known depends on tax return Where are you located a k a fill out your help, questions points finer overclocking, about (FSB, Build/upgrade etc.) the profile Indiana Are you willing to buy online Yes frequent Newegg user Are you going to re-use any parts from an earlier build Yes I am only upgrading my current system Looking to buy at most RAM Video card Hard Drive and monitor Do you need other peripherals like a monitor keyboard and mouse among others Will be reusing what I have except maybe the monitor Have you already bought any parts Not yet Do you have an Operating System OS Yes Windows -bit Will you need any aftermarket cooling such as a CPU GPU cooler or a watercooling setup Not sure yet Hi all Tried some Google-fu but didn t find anything that really answered my questions I want to upgrade my system this spring Build/upgrade help, questions about the finer points (FSB, overclocking, etc.) primarily for gaming and I want to have a better understanding of what FSB is and how it affects my system before I go and spend my money I don t feel I need help with specific item recommendations rather I would like some questions answered so I can make a more educated purchase when the time comes Here are some detailed stats for my system including pertinent information that I have questions about MOTHERBOARD ASUS M A TD-V EVO Front side bus Up to MT s HyperTransport Interface Dual-channel memory architecture x -pin DIMM slots max supported GB unbuffered EEC and non-EEC DDR O C O C MHz I will NOT be replacing motherboard this spring PROCESSOR AMD Phenom II x Quad-Core GHz MHz HyperTransports L Cache x KB L Cache MB I will NOT be replacing the processor this spring There are several things that I do not understand about these two products I bought them on the recommendation of a friend who knows more about this stuff than I do but was not interested in explaining them at the time Now I want to know what this stuff means before I buy anymore Here are my following questions What is Front side bus exactly I understand that it is the speed and that you want the MHz to match but beyond that I know next to nothing What are Hyper Transports Is this on the motherboard a maximum threshold or a recommendation At MHz is my processor sub-par or within parameters What is the O C and O C on the motherboard I know it has to do with the front side bus but I don t know what the O C stands for I would guess that it means overclocked but I do not know When I bought RAM I went with the because I did not understand this O C stuff I am looking to add more RAM or even replace the current RAM possibly up to the max of GBs For the record I m not interested at this point in overclocking This is due to the fact that I don t know what overclocking is or how to do it I would appreciate a description of what overclocking is and how it affects my system but I don t think I will worry about doing so What are the L and L Cache What do they do and how do they affect my computer s performance With the processor I do not see anything about a frequency that matches the motherboard or the RAM How do I determine what frequency my processor works at Thanks in advance for the help nbsp

A:Build/upgrade help, questions about the finer points (FSB, overclocking, etc.)

All of this information is already available online so it doesn't make sense to repeat what's available.

HyperTransport:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HyperTransport

AMD uses HyperTransport to replace the Front-Side Bus in their Opteron, Athlon 64, Sempron 64, Turion 64, Phenom and Phenom II families of microprocessors.

In personal computers, the front-side bus (FSB) is the bus that carries data between the CPU and the northbridge.

This should explain DDR3:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR3_SDRAM

What is the 1800(O.C.) and 1600(O.C.) on the motherboard?
The motherboard supports Overclocking up to those speeds.

What are the L2 and L3 Cache?
L1 is closest to the core, typically smallest and fastest. L2 is typically bigger and slower, and 'further away' (both physical, distance, and in latency). L3 is even bigger, slower and further, etc.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPU_cache

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/build-upgrade-help-questions-about-the-finer-points-fsb-overclocking-etc.158053/
Relevancy 24.51%

hi, first post, my friends are tired of me asking these stupid questions. my 2004 dell dimesion has a P4 2.4ghz cpu. is there any simple way to improve the cpu ? if so can i just drop it in? i have 2 dimm slots. 1/2 gig each. will two 1 gig sticks make a difference? if so, can i use pc3200 or do i need pc2700, or are they interchangeable? thankyou.

A:Dell Dimesion 2400 upgrade questions

According to your system specs you can have a maximum of 2GB of memory DDR SDRAM.

The supported CPU's are:

Intel® Pentium® 4 that runs at 2.2 or 2.4 GHz internally and 400 MHz externally, or 2.266, 2.4, 2.53, 2.66, 2.8, or 3.06 GHz internally and 533 MHz externally.

Intel Celeron® that runs at 2.0, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, or 2.7 GHz internally and 400 MHz externally.

A faster CPU will speed up your system but with a maximum increase to the Pentium 4 at 3.06 don't expect to notice a huge difference.

Increasing memory to 2GB will only notice when you run programs that use a lot of memory.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-dimesion-2400-upgrade-questions.160977/
Relevancy 28.81%

ok first off i got this board second hand from my brother he couldnt get it to work at all however he thought it was a video card compatability issue He had a ATI Radeon card and its an NVIDIA chipset on the board Now that ive giving a tiny bit of back ground ill give you the systems specs or atleast the specs itll be once its working and can see things CPU Intel core duo E RAM GB DDR x OCZ REAPER Motherboard As mentioned EVGA NVIDIA i sli GPU GEforce GS PSU Sparkle W gold class TB for storage and a GB + no =( sli output board video Evga 680i Nvidia for the OS Thats whats in my box and the box itself is a Rosewill Evga Nvidia 680i sli board + no video output =( CRUISER So far everything looks like its powers up right and and the HDD spins up it seems like its posting correctly i jus cant get anyvideo out of it Any suggestions would be helpful also keyboards will not work in any usb port and on the mointer it says entering power save mode it detects the cable being there but does not get a signal ive tried multiple keyboards and multiple video cables nbsp

A:Evga Nvidia 680i sli board + no video output =(

sounds like it's just a faulty board... it doesn't matter if you have a single ATI or NVIDIA card, it should work with either

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/evga-nvidia-680i-sli-board-no-video-output.160688/
Relevancy 29.67%

Hello I have a desktop with motherboard Via KT CF- ruinign on windows xp I had a MB memory and the computer was running very slow with lots K7VTA3 ECS RAM v8) fully isn't recognized (board of RAM isn't fully recognized (board ECS K7VTA3 v8) lags I decided to buy some more memory and bought the lot of two kit Kingston KVR X C AK total of GB I opened the computer and inserted the two memory sticks on the motherboard and switch on the computer As it runs BIOS says only MB Ram and not GB RAM Other times it reads sometimes says MB and one time said MB RAM Its very strange this Whats going on I dont know but the site says that the board accepts DDR SDRAM Did I bought a wrong set of memory sticks or is it something wrong in the computer data from Everest software ID Motherboard -KT CF- -K VTA C- Motherboard ECS K VTA v Physical Memory Total MB Used MB Free MB Utilization North Bridge VIA VT Apollo KT Thanks Boto nbsp

A:RAM isn't fully recognized (board ECS K7VTA3 v8)

I dont know but the site says that the board accepts DDR200/266/333 SDRAM.Click to expand...

You bought DDR400 so I'd say your RAM is not supported by your motherboard. Also, the voltage standard for your motherboard is 2.5 volts. Your RAM needs 2.6 volts although it should still run if your motherboard supported it in the first place. You might be able to bump up the voltage in the BIOS but I can't say for sure.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ram-isnt-fully-recognized-board-ecs-k7vta3-v8.159153/
Relevancy 24.51%

I have been researching and planning for quite some time now and everything is finally coming together but I have come across a few elements the likes of which might be too specific for guides I was hoping to first from a builder Hardware questions time find some answers here on Techspot forums So here we go- First off deals with case fans and headers My Asrock X Extreme motherboard has one -pin chassis fan header available while my Cooler Master Haf- case has a whopping case fans My question is without buying Y splitters is there a way to attach all the fans to the motherboard I would really like to have the speed control given to the motherboard so the fans don t have to run all the time My second also has Hardware questions from a first time builder to do with the fans I have plugged all four fans into molex connectors from my PSU and plugged it into the wall When I hit the switch on the back they do not activate Is this a problem I have not received the CPU yet so have not had first post to bios yet but logically I d think the fans should act separate when not plugged into the mobo This brings me to the third While I am sure I know the answer does the motherboard require a CPU to run bios Quite specifically to my motherboard Asrock X Extreme I would like to know if red LEDs on the power reset amp reset CMOS is normal or if it designates a problem I apologize for any seemingly obvious mistakes I am making and greatly appreciate any help nbsp

A:Hardware questions from a first time builder

Just use three splitters.

The fans aren't going to turn on when the switch on the back of the PSU is on. Otherwise they would always be on until you turn off the back switch.

Yes, the motherboard requires the CPU with it's heatsink/fan to run the BIOS. It also needs onboard graphics or separate graphics connected and one RAM module to post.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hardware-questions-from-a-first-time-builder.158920/
Relevancy 51.6%

Okay, my board is as described. I have a black bank and a blue bank. I plan on upgrading to 8 gigs of RAM this spring. With my motherboard's setup, would I benefit more from 2 sticks of 4 gig RAM or 4 sticks of 2 gig RAM?

A link to my board:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...8&cm_re=M4A785TD-V_EVO-_-13-131-398-_-Product

A:Dual-channel capable board, with 4 DIMM slots in 2 different colors--questions

Link us to your motherboard's website. The manual should contain the correct memory configurations.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-channel-capable-board-with-4-dimm-slots-in-2-different-colors-questions.158183/
Relevancy 25.37%

well, i let me begin with a general background. i'm on a wired network. the computer i use most of the time uses windows xp 32 bit software, but i will soon upgrade to windows 7 software, 32 bit again. 32 bit is preferred over 64 bit since alot of older games i play run only on 32 bit systems.

anyway, if i wish to change my ip address, should i change out the motherboard? or is the ip address assigned through the network. the router has a static ip address, i believe. so, when i ping my ip address, i am reading the router ip?

i guess i am just a little confused with the whole ip address thing. thanks for the help guys!

A:IP address questions

There should be no necessity to change the IP address.

The MB does not contribute to creating the LAN Side address you see with ipconfig /all

Lan address: Is assigned by the DHCP service in your router, OR from a static IP configuration on the NIC. Etherway, your Lan - IP is not visible nor accessible from the Internet.

WAN address: is assigned by your ISP OR from the domain.name registration process. This is the address for ALL of the systems attached to your router. The NAT feature of the router keeps it all straight.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ip-address-questions.158884/
Relevancy 25.37%

Building a light duty HTPC. The HEC case has a front 80mm fan that is, I am sure, the cheapest available. In shopping a popular computer component site, when I have reduced choices to 80mm, I am presented with other options:

Bearing Type

1 Ball, 1 Sleeve (2)
2 Ball (15)
Ball(12)
Enter100007998 600035580 600035616 (2)
Ever Lubricate(10)
Fluid Dynamic(12)

RPM

Variable (23)
<1600 RPM(8)
1600-1999 RPM(19)
2000-2499RPM(31)
2500-2999 RPM(29)
3000-3499 RPM(6)
Etc.

As none of the fans are exceedingly $$, and I only need one, what should I look for?

A:Case fan questions

If it's just an opinion you're looking for..1600-1999 RPM is sort of a normal fan speed for light duty, and "Ball" fans are the Normal sort of choice (for me anyway)..Thats probably the area i'de go.

But you're saying there all cheap enough anyway, so maybe i'de go out on a limb and try a "Fluid Dynamic" 1600-1999 or 2000-2499 RPM fan, because i've never tryed one personally.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/case-fan-questions.158500/
Relevancy 24.08%

I recently bought a Radeon HD 5670 video card and upon installation realized I need a different cable than the one I am currently running from my monitor "emachines LE1799" to my motherboard. I found out it takes DL-DVI, DisplayPort, or HDMI cables. I looked up the DL-DVI and I believe that is for running multiple displays correct? I will not be running more than one monitor, so can I buy the HDMI cable? Will that be the best option to connect the card to my monitor? Or will the DL-DVI be superior?

Thanks in advance for any help provided.
You guys are a lifesaver... without you I would be shooting in the dark. :0

Edit: Hmm I think I will need an HDMI to something else cable because I don't see that port on my monitor.

A:DL-DVI and HDMI video card port and cable questions

Go ahead and ignore this question... I was able to get an answer from another forum. Turns out I need an dvi to vga cable.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dl-dvi-and-hdmi-video-card-port-and-cable-questions.158239/
Relevancy 25.37%

I am looking to buy some more ram and I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of how I should go about purchasing the correct RAM for my system. I just bought this computer from my brother because he got a new laptop, and I am trying to get up up to par for gaming.

Here is what I have installed now:
Samsung M3 78T6553EZS-CE6
DDR2 SDRAM
DDR2-667 (333 MHz)
512 MB x 2

I have attached my full system specs in a .txt document if it's needed.

I really want 4GB. Is there a limit to how much memory I can install on my system? Can you tell how many pins I have because it's DDR2? I believe I have heard somewhere that you can tell the amount of pins by the speed without opening your case and counting the pins lol.

Thank you in advance for your time.

A:A few questions about RAM

well... regarding wanting 4 gb of ram it truely depends on your operating system, and weather or not its 32 or 64 bits... example windows xp any edition except pro 64 bit can only handle i belive 3.33 or so gigs of ram... dont quote me on that but i belive thats it... if you have vista or windows 7 i belive they go up to 4... and if you want more than 4 gigs you need a 64 bit operating system... but if i were you i would just buy some 1gb modules if you have 4 slots and 2 gb modules if you have 2... depending on if that main bored supports it... also keep in mind weather or not your computer handles dual sided or single sided memory... the safest bet is to always order single sided

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/a-few-questions-about-ram.158000/
Relevancy 28.81%

So I recently had my main computer crash and break to the point I need a new computer so I figured I'd make it worth it this time.

Here's the deal: (add the www to see it)tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6327547&SRCCODE=GOOGLEBASE&cm_mmc_o=VRqCjC7BBTkwCjCECjCE

Everything on there seems decent but I am curious about the board itself. Would the Intel Desktop Board DP55WB Motherboard be good for gaming, which I wish to use my computer mainly for. I have at most a 700 dollar budget and this seems like a nice deal for it. I plan on putting a Geforce GTX 580 graphics card in it as soon as I get the money as a little side note if it matters.

A:Intel desktop board DP55WB motherboard for gaming?

Pyron92 said:

So I recently had my main computer crash and break to the point I need a new computer so I figured I'd make it worth it this time.

Here's the deal: (add the www to see it)tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6327547&SRCCODE=GOOGLEBASE&cm_mmc_o=VRqCjC7BBTkwCjCECjCE

Everything on there seems decent but I am curious about the board itself. Would the Intel Desktop Board DP55WB Motherboard be good for gaming, which I wish to use my computer mainly for. I have at most a 700 dollar budget and this seems like a nice deal for it. I plan on putting a Geforce GTX 580 graphics card in it as soon as I get the money as a little side note if it matters.Click to expand...

I'd suggest looking at the same chipset, but in either Gigabyte or Asus brands. Intel boards are fine, as much as it goes, but the BIOS is very limited as to configuration for different memory, and overclocking options. Intel really markets it's boards as mainstream items, intended for average users and businesses, they're not really aimed at the enthusiast.

The feature set can vary widely from board to board, and you should have a look at these pages to see which board has the capabilities you need;

Asus P-55; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...600008069 600008216&IsNodeId=1&name=Intel P55

Gigabyte P-55; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...600008069 600008216&IsNodeId=1&name=Intel P55

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/intel-desktop-board-dp55wb-motherboard-for-gaming.157197/
Relevancy 24.08%

I own a Core2 Duo E7500 2.93ghz overclocked to 3.2ghz

I recently bought a Rocketfish Universal Cooler and it keeps my overclocked cpu temp at 39 Celsius idle and 55 Celsius under load. I want to know if these temps are normal for a $30 cooler and how much a difference it would make if I were to upgrade the cooler to something like the Coolermaster V8 or the Noctua NH-U9B SE2.
I live in Florida and the house temp is around 78 degrees.

A:Overclocked CPU with aftermarket cooler temp range questions

temps are fine, but if you wanted to test the cooler's limits raise the vcore a bit and monitor the temps via BIOS. when the chip idles in the mid to high 40's (and perhaps into the 50s), try running some CPU intensive applications, then monitor temps again. if the processor climbs into the 60s or 70s on load then i would say that's your limit. you may be able to keep the temps down a little bit with a high-performance thermal compound, but consider that an extra step...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/overclocked-cpu-with-aftermarket-cooler-temp-range-questions.154685/
Relevancy 24.08%

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE ASAP BUDGET needed mobo build Gaming questions, guru RANGE - SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT Photo editing media streaming and storage gaming PARTS NOT REQUIRED Keyboard mouse and monitor PREFERRED WEBSITE S FOR PARTS newegg com COUNTRY OF ORIGIN US PARTS PREFERENCES AMD BE processor with AM mobo OVERCLOCKING Yes SLI OR CROSSFIRE not currently MONITOR RESOLUTION p ADDITIONAL COMMENTS Prefer serious consideration for future upgrades ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Hello all I would like to start by thanking you all for your knowledge and time I am looking to build a rig for photo editing and gaming I plan to set up home media network to stream my videos to my family room television downstairs I do not require extreme performance but would like a computer that i will be satisfied with for several years For this reason I have loosely chosen Gaming build questions, mobo guru needed to go with AMD I have put Gaming build questions, mobo guru needed together a cart with the parts i am considering COOLER MASTER HAF RC- M-KKN -GP Black Steel Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Instant Western Digital Caviar Black WD FASS TB RPM SATA Gb s quot Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive SAPPHIRE Vapor-X VX- L Radeon HD Juniper XT GB -bit GDDR PCI Express x HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Combo with Microsoft Windows Home Premium -bit -Pack for System Builders - OEM Item N E - Instant - Combo Mail-in Rebate Card CORSAIR CMPSU- TX W ATX V EPS V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply COMBO WIth G SKILL Ripjaws Series GB x GB -Pin DDR SDRAM DDR PC - Instant - Combo Mail-in Rebate Card - GIGABYTE GA- FXA-UD AM AMD FX SATA Gb s USB ATX AMD Motherboard COMBO WITH AMD Phenom II X Black Edition Deneb GHz Socket AM W Quad-Core Processor HDZ FBGMBOX - Instant - Combo Subtotal I am also considering the GeForce GTX GPU and this mobo ASUS M A TD PRO USB If anyone could provide some info on why i would want this mobo or whether its worth the i would greatly appreciate it I was also considering a FX mobo but dont have much knowledge on the matter Is my power supply a suitable size Is this roughly the size i want should i decide to crossfire my GPU in the future Thank you all in advance for reviewing my post Im very grateful nbsp

A:Gaming build questions, mobo guru needed

The GTX 460 would be a better pick over the HD 5770. However, the boards you're picking will not have SLI support if you want to add a second GTX 460 in the future. For a multi GPU setup it would be more sensible to pick an ATI card as the AMD chipsets support only CrossFire.

I suggest getting a Seasonic / OCZ / Corsair 650W PSU if you're looking at a single card setup with the GTX 460. The 850W would be overkill.

The 790FX boards are also very good but I suggest sticking to the newer chipset as you'll have USB 3.0 support.

Also, for the CPU, I would urge you to look at the Phenom II X6 1055T.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/gaming-build-questions-mobo-guru-needed.153997/
Relevancy 24.94%

Hey everyone i have some questions about Video card temps etc So I recently was given my good friends gaming desktop as he went away for college a sad day indeed But hell free computer for me So here s the specs -Antec Case -AMD Phenom X quad core Ghz Processor - GB mhz DDR Crucial RAM - GB rpm mb cache Hard Drive -Gigabyte MA GT Motherboard -ATI HD :( noob temp questions Really Radeon GB Video Card -Windows Home Premium -bit - W PSU - x mm blue LED fans x mm non-LED fan x mm non-LED fan So I just don t want to Really noob temp questions :( fry it on him for when he comes back during breaks etc To give you an idea of things I m running I m a big Starcraft II junkie and with this beast of a computer I m hoping to run Final Fantasy So When I am not doing ANYTHING at all the video card temp is at C which from what i have been reading is fine Since FF isn t out yet I can t really fun any tests with that BUT on starcraft II with all high settings on with enemies on the field it s running at C Here is a link to pictures of fans on my PC so you guys can maybe tell me if I have enough or too many By the way i know its very dusty in there I got a lot of already without actually opening the shell because I am afraid too Nevermind it won t let me put in the link D Any insight from anyone would be really helpful to me Thanks so much nbsp

A:Really noob temp questions :(

If I were you I'd try and clean out the dust, but your temps seem pretty much fine. Just to be sure you might want to check your processor temps also.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/really-noob-temp-questions.153852/
Relevancy 29.67%

how do u know if u have on board sound card on ibm

A:How do you now if you have on board sound card

The easiest recognition sign would be 3.5mm jack plugs on the rear panel of the motherboard.
http://www.dansdata.com/images/a7a266/sndconns400.jpg
3 (Green, blue, pink) is common on older boards, 4, 5 or more commonly 6 jacks for newer (and 5.1 +) sound codecs.
If you post some details of the system/board the forum will be able to give you a more definitive answer.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-you-now-if-you-have-on-board-sound-card.152783/
Relevancy 25.37%

Hello Techspot Since I now have my Q up and running again using a Gigabyte motherboard I thought I would do a spot of overclocking to make it a little bit more snappy Its also now fitted with a Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro Rev I m completely new to this though and despite have regarding questions a overclocking few I spending hours online searching hundreds of threads I ve come to realise it doesn t matter what everyone is achieving because its not my hardware So I started up I have a few questions regarding overclocking EasyTune and have a look at what the boosted settings would give me and then entered advanced and changed things myself from there So I have a few questions regarding overclocking far I ve got it to just under GHz just by increasing the multiplier to and the FSB to MHz Using OCCT I ve run the Linpack test for mins just to check it wasn t cooking the CPU and it seems fine Its not crashing or slowing down in anyway it actually feels quicker and now the CPU idles at GHz instead of the usual GHz so seems much quicker to do things from idle The max temps I m seeing are - C but before I go ahead and do a - hr full stress test I just want to make sure everything is fine in regards to voltages and temps So anyway some screens for you to view I couldn t resize as it blurred the readings so will link if they re too big PC at idle http www leekaelin co uk downloads Forum Pics TechSpot CPU idle jpg PC at full load after approx - mins http www leekaelin co uk downloads Forum Pics TechSpot CPU full load jpg As I said it seems stable in use so far but I ve not tried to stress it too much as worried I ll kill it if its wrong lol Plus the PSU is a crappy Dell supplied one so I don t want to push it too hard at all really Does it all seem OK voltage wise How about the FSB Anything else I should be aware of or could try I m quite happy with it but I d rather hear from those with inifinitely more experience in this area than me Thanks in advance nbsp

A:I have a few questions regarding overclocking

Hi leeky,
I see 58c on your load screen-shot, but if you are hitting 68c you may want to turn the fan up as the max temp for the 8300 is 71.4c.
secondly pay no attention to the 12v reading on OCCT, it gets it wrong very often.
third, I would be careful OC'ing with a Dell OEM PSU, they are always hideously poor quality. You would do well to replace it with a decent quality power supply.
Other than that, that is not a bad OC for the Q8300. That is probably all you will get from it as the Q8200/8300 were not known as great overclockers. It is true that "your results may vary" and each chip can vary, however, the vast majority are going to have very similar OC headroom characteristics unless you win the binning lottery and got one that was 'rebinned' to fit a price point demand and has more headroom than the norm. Anyway, Nice job!
****if you want a better reading on the rail voltages, download HWmonitor from here.
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
and you can check idle voltage in your BIOS.

EDIT: I just noticed you ran the Linpack not the standard OCCT CPU stability test, so its not surprising that it hit 68c. If its staying below 70c running linpack your doing well.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-have-a-few-questions-regarding-overclocking.152814/
Relevancy 29.24%

Wondering if anyone has tried a non-Nocona, E-ATX dual Xeon board in the HAF 932. I'm talking one of the newer Dual-Xeon boards. I know I lose the single-CPU ATX back opening, but I'm more concerned about if it actually handles a dual-Xeon E-ATX board.

Thanks for any help.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cooler-master-haf-932-e-atx-dual-xeon-board-anyone-tried-it.152497/
Relevancy 24.08%

First of all let me apologize I m new to internet forums and new to PC building That being said I have recently decided to build myself a computer that I can use to comfortably questions, please rig, newb educate Gaming mobo, CPU a case play video games and this has required me working very hard to understand all the different components and what my best options are I was hoping to get some input and I could definitely use some suggestions for parts that I can know are compatible with each other As I m such a newbie I know that I need a lot of questions answered that I don t even know to ask so maybe I can start with posting a system Gaming rig, case mobo, CPU questions, educate a newb please build I ve cooked up and asking some specific questions about certain choices such as which CPU would you all recommend I hope this is a good way to go Here s what I ve got keeping in mind I have in no way become knowledgeable enough to go out and start buying these parts Also I m interested in overclocking so in terms of the case and the PSU I would like to leave some overhead as well as buying a CPU and GPU that could let me do this at a later time Sorry this will be a lot of questions any help is greatly appreciated GPU GTX in SLI mode is the one thing I m fairly set on Two of these cards seem to be a good option Question Does quot superclocked quot mean it is already OC d for me EVGA G-P - -TR GeForce GTX Fermi Superclocked EE GB -bit GDDR PCI Express x HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card CPU If I want performance but will not plan on overclocking just yet how should I decide between these processors AMD Phenom II X T Black Edition Thuban GHz Socket AM W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT ZFBGRBOX vs Intel Core i - Bloomfield GHz LGA W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX vs Any other suggestions Also how can I know whether the Phenom II is better It has a higher clock speed and more cores So to me it definitely looks like a better choice And yet the same price for both makes me think I don t know enough to see what s missing with the Phenom Why is it not as good as the i And doesn t the quot LGA quot vs quot Socket AM quot affect what Mobo and RAM I get Case Thermaltake Armor A Black Steel Plastic Gaming ATX Mid-Tower Computer Case VL W U w W W RU Modular Power Supply Will this case and power supply be enough I ve struggled with understanding how I can know whether the case will have enough room for SLI GTX s and the CPU plus maybe aftermarket coolers in the future Or will this case be cool enough without new fans or maybe with new fans whichever is best recommended Here below is another options I ve looked at but only because it seems to have a lot of fans and a full tower should hold my GTX s right Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case So after I have a CPU GPU and a case I should probably have already decided on a motherboard right But I m not sure how Please advise What order should I decide the parts Should I wait to pick a case until the end Also I assume that I can decide on RAM last since it is affected by the CPU and mobo but it doesn t determine any other choices The thing that most concerns me is picking out a motherboard that works with the SLI graphics cards and the CPU I pick but not getting a case that will let it all fit and run smoothly How do people know these things without buying first I m sure most of these questions might be very elementary and I m sure I have a lot more but this seems like a start Thanks for any input nbsp

A:Gaming rig, case mobo, CPU questions, educate a newb please

Hi disczeiger,
The 1055T and the 1095T are the same CPU, just clocked differently with the exception being that it has an unlocked multiplier. If you go that route, you can save yourself $100.00 and OC it yourself. I run my 1055T @ 4.17Ghz (the 1095T) OC's to the same frequency and you can see in this review is only second to the 980X (Intels 6 core) at stock speed. As far as a gaming rig, you will not notice much of a gaming performance difference except with BC2 which will use as many cores as you have at your disposal. However hopefully this will be the trend in the near future.
Here are some benchmarks of those and other CPU's.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/asus-crosshair-iv-formula-review/1

GPU
GTX 460 in SLI mode is the one thing I'm fairly set on. Two of these cards seem to be a good option. Question: Does "superclocked" mean it is already OC'd for me?Click to expand...

It is OC'ed yes, however they are usually rather mild OC's from the factory, and you can do your own OC'ing as well. I would not pay for OC'ing and just OC them yourself (my 2 cents worth).

First you need to decide if you are going with AMD or Intel. Then look for a MB that has the features and Chipset you want and supports the CPU you choose. IMO Asus and Gigabyte are the best options. Great build quality and as you expressed an interest in OC'ing, they are the best OC'ing boards out there. I recommend a P55 (Intel) or a FX 890/850 (AMD) for chipsets.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/gaming-rig-case-mobo-cpu-questions-educate-a-newb-please.152430/
Relevancy 28.38%

I plan to upgrade my video card from geforce 9500GT to geforece GTS250.. my mother board model is gigabyte GA-M61PME-S2P..

A:Is the GeForce GTS250 compatible with a DDR2 board and PCIe slot?

Yes.
Powersupply? Just making sure...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-the-geforce-gts250-compatible-with-a-ddr2-board-and-pcie-slot.152306/
Relevancy 24.51%

As per title really.

After my somewhat suprising Crysis experiement earlier, I'm curious to find out the most reliable way of finding out frame rates whilst its playing.

Its basic I know - But prior to joining here in May (I think!) , I'd not touched a PC game in over 15 years... Your all slowly converting me! Pmsl.

Also, what is the minimum playable frame rate? To me the game seems fine, even when everything is blowing up and happening at the same time - But is there like a minimum frame rate set for playability?

Newbie questions!!

A:Calculating frame rates in games questions

hi Leeky,
you can use this utility to see what your running while playing, it hasa benchmark feature as well that will give you min/max/avg and record a log to your desltop. it depends on the type of game really. 30FPS is widely considered playable for semi smooth play. P(ersonally I think its at least 60FPS) for First person shooters 60fps is the goal for smooth, MMo's don't require that to play okay.The biggest issue is the minimum FPS. if it dips below 30 while you get to the 'action' portions, it gets really chunky looking. What was the "Crysis experiement" you were speaking of ?
anyway download FRAPS and you can see where your at.

http://www.fraps.com/download.php

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/calculating-frame-rates-in-games-questions.151400/
Relevancy 24.51%

I know there are so many threads about this but I need quick answers!

1. I have two big 120 mm fans on the rear of my computer blowing air out of my computer (does that mean those are INTAKE or EXHAUST?), outside of the CPU and GPU fans that's all the fans I have

2. I am adding THREE fans, one on top, one on the bottom, and an expansion slot video card cooling fan. Since the two rear fans are blowing OUT, how should I set the top and bottom fans?

3. My video card is at the top of the expansion slots, how close to my GPU should I install the video card cooling fan?

Thanks!

A:Adding case fans noob questions

There are different theories regarding positive or negative case pressure.
My way of thinking is to have a negative pressure in the case so that the cool air will be drawn into the case (the cool air will actually be trying to get in there because of the very slight difference in pressure) and the hot air expelled better.
Positive pressure imo, will cause the warm air inside to possibly mill around inside the case before being evacuated.
So, the two fans on the back of your case are exhausting air, creating that negative pressure. I would put the one on the top as an exhaust also, as hot air tends to rise. I would then, if possible, put the other fan at the front of the case as an intake, so that the cooler air is drawn across the motherboard.
You can also have the one on the bottom as an intake too.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/adding-case-fans-noob-questions.151576/
Relevancy 24.51%

I recently bought some parts to throw together a new budget computer but I haven t built one in a while and I realized there was some questions I couldn t answer with google Probably because I m a tard but I digress The parts I bought are as follows CPU Athlon II X Mobo Biostar A G AM Ram HD Radeon Onboard questions 4200 G-Skill x GB PowerSupply OCZ ModXStream Pro I have two questions concerning the Radeon HD graphics on the Mobo you can google the specs First I have an old Radeon X XT mb video Onboard Radeon HD 4200 questions card I can t seem to find specs for it I can compare to the onboard graphics Onboard Radeon HD 4200 questions Should I use my old video card or are the onboard Onboard Radeon HD 4200 questions graphics superior Second I will be installing Window -bit The max memory share for the graphics is mb Since Windows can t use all the gigs of ram I am installing anyways will the mb I plan on dedicating to the onboard graphics if I use it take away from what is usable by windows Or will I be able to have the whole gigs of ram available to me nbsp

A:Onboard Radeon HD 4200 questions

The discrete card would probably have the edge on the integrated graphics in raw gaming benchmarks . Here's a basic graphics hierachy chart, and your 512Mb video RAM comes out of the ~3.2Gb RAM available (or seen) by the system, and here's a review of the HD 4200 in relation to your motherboards chipset.

If you're after numbers for graphics card comparisons (or release dates etc.) then this set of tables will provide pretty much everything at a glance (be aware that some of the tables are rather large)

Good luck with the build.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/onboard-radeon-hd-4200-questions.150968/
Relevancy 30.1%

I want to put together two of the new GTX 460 video cards and using an i7-870 proc.

Any SLI mobo recommendations?

A:SLI board recommendations for the GTX 460 and i7-870

Hi Tom,
what price range are you in here?
......Hmmmmm, something tells me Chef will be here in a minute with 3....no...make that 4 recommendations.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sli-board-recommendations-for-the-gtx-460-and-i7-870.150526/
Relevancy 28.81%

Hi

I want to turn on my PC automatically during late hours so that I can do some downloads and maintenance works on my PC automatically!!
But I cant find an option for RTC alarm enabling in this BIOS!!
Whats wrong with this Mobo?

Will any one help me?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-enable-rtc-alarm-on-my-intel-desktop-board-d102ggc2.150251/
Relevancy 23.65%

Every now and then I get an error, "The device 'Generic volume' cannot be stopped because a program is still accessing it", after trying to safetly remove my USB device.

No matter what I do I can not get it to say Device is ok to be Safetly Remove (or what ever it is)... - I mean I close everything that I can think of; I have tried to close a few program under the "Processes" tab of the windows task manager however some of these unsure if I she End Process so when unsure I do not. Is there anyway of knowing what these programs are?

Back to the USB device isue - will shutting off computer be good enough to unplug the USB drive? As there is always a little power in the computer on shut down.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated - thanks,
David

A:Questions on: safely remove hardware and Windows task manager

Look in the bottom toolbar for a tiny icon that has a green arrow pointing down to the left, and a grey image of a USB flash drive just below it.
Right click on that tiny arrow-grey box set. You will get the box "Safely Remove Hardware"
Click on that choice, and wait until you get the message on your screen that it is safe to remove the USB flash device.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/questions-on-safely-remove-hardware-and-windows-task-manager.148988/
Relevancy 24.94%

1. Will a standard Matx board fit in my Dell Optiplex case?
- This is the board I'm specifically talking about, upgrading from a Dell Dimension 2400 motherboard.
2. I bought a new video card, an NVIDEA GeForce 8400 GS to be exact, and I need to update the PSU in order for it to work more proficiently and I'm looking at a 350W one but I'm asking how do I know if the PSU will work with everything? I know the wattage is good because i've checked, but I'm just confused about which one exactly I should get.
Like would This work?

A:I want to upgrade my computer so I have some questions

As opposed to the Rosewill PSU, you would be light years better off with this Antec unit: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ..._re=antec_power_supply-_-17-371-033-_-Product This is the best price I've seen on this PSU this year. But, the price is only good until June 22nd, so you need to move on it quickly.

If what they're saying about 10% off with promo code is true, that comes to about 36 bucks, and that's a steal.

I don't recommend the Rosewill PSU.

I'm still uncertain about the board in your case.

The Newegg "combo offer" on the board looks like a decent deal. The G41 chipset has better onboard graphics than the G31 (GMA 4500)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-want-to-upgrade-my-computer-so-i-have-some-questions.148748/
Relevancy 29.67%

Hi I have been having problems with my hdd s circuit board on my dell d I aint sure what happen I think it Toshiba circuit HDD board was just my bad luck Anyways I was wondering if its possible of saving the HDD by switching the board with one of the same model boughten brand new off the internet Also I forgot to mention that I put a master password Bios password also applied but thats not a problem since I am able to enter my password on the hdd so no could get into it without my consent just in case it got stolen I am just wondering if that will screw anything up with the new circuit board The name and model of the hdd is Toshiba Toshiba HDD circuit board MK GAX I hope someone can give Toshiba HDD circuit board me some advice on this topic because I don t want to wast my money which ever way I go buy a new hdd or just a circuit board Please respond and thanks in advance nbsp

A:Toshiba HDD circuit board

Come on people, just don't let me hang. I need something, thoughts, ideas, and/or anything else. I just don't want to leave with nothing...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/toshiba-hdd-circuit-board.147872/
Relevancy 25.37%

As I can t use links I ve used the ebuyerDOTcom quickfind codes I m planning Upgrade questions to upgrade to Windows Professional from Vista Windows Ultimate Not literally upgrade I know I couldn t do that from Ultimate to Professinoal Upgrade questions and a Radeon HD from a NVIDIA GeForce GT sometime soon and I was wondering if there was anything else I should consider to update while I m at it If they don t really need to be updated and should be fine left how they are I ll leave it Its just that I read the PSU is rubbish and I think the CPU Upgrade questions is years old now So thought it might be time to upgrade Motherboard - Asus M N-E SLI PSU - EZCool ATX- JSP Watt CPU - AMD Athlon x My main concern is the PSU would something like this be a good replacement Wasn t sure with the Motherboard and CPU If it would fit would be a good replacement for my CPU PC is used for general use Gaming Photoshop I d like to try things like Streaming and using Valves Hammer Editor and other things like it so if it could handle tthose it would be nice As a for a budget around the same price as the items I linked Cheers nbsp

A:Upgrade questions

Your links didn't work. What speed is your current CPU, how much ram do you have?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgrade-questions.147805/
Relevancy 24.51%

sorry if this is a repost Hi i have some questions about video cards i REALLY dont know a lot about computers when it comes to taking them apart and questions a card Video from noob adding removing hardware actually i dont know anything Im obviously a gamer and want to get a new video card to support the games i want to play I looked it up and found that i need a video card that is pci-e x Video card questions from a noob and a few other things Right now im considering getting a radeon gb hd but im confused about a few things Will the Radeon be what i need whats with the ATI sapphire ASUS Diamond radeon cards Whats the real difference between all these different prefixes to the Radeon video card I see pci-e x quot quot What is the difference between and Im running a Video card questions from a noob Emachines Et - with these following specs CPU Intel Pentium Processor E GHz MB L cache MHz FSB Operating System Genuine Windows Home Premium -bit Chipset NVIDIA GeForce Memory GB DDR dual-channel MB DDR slots total DDR slots available Hard Drive GB SATA also i have a w power supply but i plan to upgrade it to a w power supply when i get the video card Click to expand Again sorry if this has been discussed already but i really dont trust my ability in judging computer parts and really want to be careful with my money thanks nbsp

A:Video card questions from a noob

The first thing you need to tell us, SayWhaat, is your budget for the upgrade. Also, what games are you intending to play and at what resolution?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/video-card-questions-from-a-noob.147247/
Relevancy 29.67%

I will be upgrading my system in july and was wondering if anyone can recomend a new cpu, motherboard and DDR3 sims. I currently have an E8500, ASUS P5N-32E, GTX275, Corsair TX650 PSU and 4gig of DDR2. I was thinking of going with the an Intel Core i7 930 2.80Ghz (Bloomfield) (Socket LGA1366). Can anyone recomend a good board around £150-180 that will fit this CPU and also some DDR3 sims?

A:New CPU, board and memory time

The Asus P6X58D-E is a great motherboard at your price point.

Are you planning on going with 6GB of DDR3 memory to utilise the CPU's triple channel memory controller? What's your budget for the memory?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-cpu-board-and-memory-time.147034/