Windows Support Forum

Recover data from "dead" hard drive?

Q: Recover data from "dead" hard drive?

Ok so first off let me say I regret ever going to the stupid Geek Squad to fix my computer at all I understand it instantly makes me an object of Recover hard "dead" from drive? data ridicule However I am a jerk and usually can t fix my computer myself So A few months ago my computer was acting all sorts of wonky taking forever to boot up refusing to run simple programs taking forever to connect to the internet wouldn t run even a simple YouTube video etc etc As I desperately needed the computer for school I had an online class about to start I caved and took it to Geek Squad They told me the hard drive was dead and needed to be replaced They also told me it would cost about for data recovery I didn t have any Recover data from "dead" hard drive? this was all done under warranty so I told them to just go ahead and fix it Fast forward a week or two I m at Best Buy picking it up Geek Squad Sign here Oh and here s your discs Me Discs What discs Geek Squad The discs you dropped off when you dropped off the computer Me I didn t drop off any discs Geek Squad Well they were with your computer when we got it Come to find out my two darling sons ages two and four shoved a couple discs into the DVD drive at the same time and without my knowledge Hence my computer did NOT need a new hard drive I m assuming because my kids just clogged it up by trying to force two discs to run at the same time Rather than check this before they ran their diagnostic tests Geek Squad simply chose to say quot failed hard drive quot and replace it Now I m stuck without all my old data I insisted they give me the old hard drive back and they did My question to you all is Is it possible for me to pull the data somehow off this quot dead quot hard drive Or is it possible for me to just put it back in the computer but still keep all the data programs etc I ve been doing a little research and it seems easy enough ha but once I get to that whole quot set it to slave or master quot part I get confused I don t want to screw up the hard drive that the Geek Squad put on here when they replaced it but it would be nice to have all the old data also the old hard drive had a recovery drive D drive for such problems as this so I don t know why they felt it necessary to swap out the entire drive I did make a set of system recovery discs for the old hard drive and I still have them but that didn t include any of my data I m running XP on an HP a n desktop apparently with an ATI hard drive newly installed Any takers nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Recover data from "dead" hard drive?

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 109.22%

Hi everyone I have a GB USB flash drive I recently plugged this flash drive into my Ubuntu Linux-based computer while VMware was running because I needed to get a file out of the virtual machine "invalid recover USB -- data table" to drive flash need partition and I thought that would be the easiest way VMware took control of the device and mounted it in the Windows XP environment it was running I copied a file I needed to get out of the virtual machine onto the flash drive then shut down the virtual machine Now I USB flash drive "invalid partition table" -- need to recover data am having a desperate problem -- the flash drive is no longer readable USB flash drive "invalid partition table" -- need to recover data or mountable in any computer Linux tells me that the device has an quot invalid partition table quot Mac OS X tells me that the device is unreadable or not initialized and another Windows XP computer tells me that the disk in the drive is not formatted The Linux error message gives me the most hope -- I have data that I cannot stress how valuable it is to me on that flash drive and I desperately need to be able to recover it Is there any way of bypassing the partition table and getting at the data I hope someone is able to help me Thank you nbsp

A:USB flash drive "invalid partition table" -- need to recover data

You could try PC Inspector, it's made for these kinds of situations.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/usb-flash-drive-invalid-partition-table-need-to-recover-data.497261/
Relevancy 108.36%

While running chkdsk on my back-up GB HD Seagate ST AS Seagate Barracuda - Hard drive - GB the computer was inadvertantly powered down On startup post info said SATA backup drive quot not found quot Drive C and operating system worked fine after losing Drive D I am running XP with the primary C drive being two seagate GB drives in stripe array and the backup drive above as D The drive spins up at power on The checkdisk with repair was based on several earlier errors related to D MFT which I was hoping to solve with checkdisk I m thinking the interuption resulted from Data Found" Failure "Drive Recover Not in the loss of the ability of the bios to see the drive I have about GB of backup data on the drive My critical data is backed up in a third location but there is much data on the drive that would be quot Very nice quot to get back As such I am not prepared to pay much for recovery I would like some hints as to how I might recover at least part of data For example can I somehow reformat or partial reformat and then use free file recovery software to salvage whatever i did not overwrite with the format Is it possible to rebuild the MFT if that is the cause of my problem If so how do I get my system to recognize or quot find quot the drive in question and what software would i use Any suggested path forward including software would be appreceiated Paul-D nbsp

Relevancy 106.64%

Help Ok a few weeks ago I got enraged with my laptop Fuj-Siem Amilo Pro and thumped it with my hand right near the lower center - presumably where the hard drive is and well it froze up -after reboot and I got some BSOD blue screen of death message Anyways I ran the recovery console recovered about of my files with chkdsk r after hours and though it did not complete it still rebooted and I was able to boot windows and use my computer so HD data dead hard from to on Recover drive external and dump after two days of successful startups I was trying to repair and re-install the files that were not recovered like MS office stuff Itunes etc when it froze - and I waited for minutes before I had no choice but to turn off at the mains I turned the power back on when I got a quot disk read error press alt Recover data from dead HD and dump on to external hard drive ctrl etc quot and have sincxe tried everything you can do in recovery console to sort it fixmbr fixboot chkdsk said it was fine chkdsk r p - every command relative to the situation when running the recovery console before the DOS recognized my windows installation C Windows now it just says C gt or something like that I went to buy an external hard rive USB Maxtor GB and want to know how I can get the files on this USB drive I need to get that DATA back - and the Recovery console is not going to repair again - stays a for hours and I just want to get this stuff off somehow onto Recover data from dead HD and dump on to external hard drive the HDD nbsp

A:Recover data from dead HD and dump on to external hard drive

try getting your hands on a 'live cd' like Ubuntu or something.

you have to boot your system from the disc, usually by pressing an 'f' key as soon as you press the power button (on my tosh its f12). then select boot from cd, instead of from the hard drive.

you will probably need to have your external drive attached before you start in order for the 'live OS' to recognise it.

then you should be able to view and perhaps even copy your files to the external hdd. you should even be able to format the original hard drive from here too, then you can re-install windows.

lastly try an anger management course. this really was a bit of a rookie error, wasn't it?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/recover-data-from-dead-hd-and-dump-on-to-external-hard-drive.109310/
Relevancy 104.06%

I have a hard drive that went dead (maybe not totally). Dell put in a new hard drive (like it was from the factory) and I am going to put the 'old' hard drive in the machine as a second drive and hopefully get some word documents etc. from the drive. Is it possible to copy files and from the old drive and install them into WLM and get back my folders and contacts from the old drive. How can this be done, if it can.

Thanks,

Bruce

A:How to get WLM folders and contacts from a "dead" hard drive

Yes it can. I have posted several times in this forum about WLM "contacts" and WLM "Message Store" so it may help to look for those posts. Bascically the location of the Message store in the AppData folder is given by the new install and will be in the same place on the old hard drive which you will navigate to when you do an Import of the messages. Contacts will come into the new program automatically from Microsoft (contacts.live.com) if you were signing in before when you sign in again. If you were not signing in, it's a bit more complicated involving substituting the contents of the new (empty) contacts folder with the contents of the old contacts folder (also somewhere under appdata).

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/219715-how-get-wlm-folders-contacts-dead-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 102.77%

Up until months ago in my previous "dead" drive to hard revive Trying computer I was using a secondary non-bootable non-OS drive on an older computer that ran Windows XP The secondary drive I am referring to is a Western Digital Caviar SE GB IDE After moving across country I tried to boot the computer and Trying to revive "dead" hard drive found that the while the primary drive with XP would boot the secondary drive would not work quot Trying to revive "dead" hard drive device not working quot I tried many different attempts at solving the problem including trying to install access it in a different computer of mine I tried many different combinations of IDE cable connection and many variations of the switch setting No dice I now have a Compaq Presario SR WM running Vista Basic with a Seagate GB hard drive I attempted to access install the drive as a secondary in the Presario Though it was recognized as a mass storage device in the devices list the device itself would not quot work quot giving the same code error It doesn t seem to be powering up based on the lack of drive sounds I additionally put the problem drive in an external drive case Rocketfish quot USB enclosure with no further progress The Rocketfish case has an internal power plug and connects the quot box quot via IDE to USB I tried it with the Rocketfish power jack and also with the power cable straight from the motherboard for the sake of elimination I don t know how I can determine if there is a loose connection of some sort in the drive s power circuitry connection or if there is an internal part failure I also don t have the proprietary tool to disassemble the drive case even if I wanted to I d REALLY like to access this drive Any helpful hints are very welcomed Richard nbsp

A:Trying to revive "dead" hard drive

Is all this trouble really necessary? It is obvious that the drive is bad. Don't even think about opening up the drive at all, even though it may already be a paper weight

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/trying-to-revive-dead-hard-drive.105456/
Relevancy 100.19%

Hello I was recently made time) from a data over hard (to Refreshing prevent on "evaporating" drive it aware that the data on the disc will vanish overtime due to the fact they are stored in a magnetic way if the disc is not used internaly This is the case with my GB Seagate disc that I consider as data storage and which is just laying on the shelf in a closet I wanted to ask what I need to do to prevent Refreshing data on a hard drive (to prevent it from "evaporating" over time) it Do I need only to READ the data off the disc or do I have to RE-WRITE Refreshing data on a hard drive (to prevent it from "evaporating" over time) them to prevent this from happening If I only need to read them is there a command in windows XP terminal that I could use to do this I found a command for MAC to read the whole disc sudo cat dev rdisk gt dev null but I can t find similar for Windows XP The best soslution for me though would be to use the software to scan the disc as I want to do it from time to time to check if everything with the disc is ok So would scanning of the whole disc using some software to find bad secotrs like for example quot Active Hard Disk Monitor quot do the trick If it would coule be great as I would cook dishes on a stove Thanks guys nbsp

A:Refreshing data on a hard drive (to prevent it from "evaporating" over time)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/refreshing-data-on-a-hard-drive-to-prevent-it-from-evaporating-over-time.977710/
Relevancy 100.19%

athlon 2600+, Gigabyte NNXP Mobo, Windows 2000, adding a new 250Gig slave HDD (Seagate ATA).
Plugged it in and booted up, bios sees it, boot windows, starts hdd install, instead of success message, a message comes up that there was an error with the install and data services were locked, click finish.

Once windows had fully finished booting, no second drive visible, did "find new hardware", and selected exclamation marked hdd, and installed drivers from win update. The hard drive still does not appear in the My Computer drive tree.

Please, does anyone know what's happening here? Can this be fixed?

A:Hard drive instal error "data services locked"

Check your Disk Management. You can find this in:

Control Panel
Administrative Tools
Computer management
Disk Management

It should tell you if it is properly formatted, healthy, or degraded. Post results.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-instal-error-data-services-locked.80595/
Relevancy 100.19%

I'm trying to wipe secure erase my computer hard drive and put it back to factory settings--the computer is getting sold From reading the forums I realize I can use clean all or other programs to write over the quot deleted quot data with ones or zeros However my plan of action was to Use system recovery to system the a data save "deleted" hard on image Does drive put the computer back to factory settings Create a system image Use clean all from the command prompt to wipe the drive Reinstall Windows via installation CD Restore via system image The one problem is that I don't know if a system image saves absolutely everything including data that had been quot deleted quot and is still present on the hard drive but is designated by the computer to be written over I'm worried that if I do this I'll just be undoing my attempt at securely erasing my hard drive and the quot deleted quot data will still be available for people Does a system image save "deleted" data on the hard drive to find if they tried Does anyone know If this is true I'll Does a system image save "deleted" data on the hard drive just do all of this and just reinstall the HP drivers and software that came with it manually and the hard drive won't have a recovery partition for the next person

A:Does a system image save "deleted" data on the hard drive

I'm not sure I follow your steps. I'm missing why you'd install Windows 7, then restore. Do you have a Recovery Disk ?? If not can you still make one ?? If either is yes, then I'd wipe the drive and restore and be done with it.

On the other hand, if I was that concerned I'd probably just put another HDD in it and restore to it.

In answer to your question though, it depends on what you use to capture / apply the image. Imagex, by nature, simply gets the "meat" of the OS install and leaves behind anything else. Other stuff may well carry the "ones and zeros" of deleted data as well. I seem to recall once using a utility that grabbed the entire partition to apply elsewhere. I quit using it because it was more trouble than it was worth.

But by far the most secure method is to replace that hard drive and keep the drive that "might" have recoverable data and use it yourself as a spare or external drive.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/246416-does-system-image-save-deleted-data-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 100.19%

Hey guys I need Getting on data Error" drive "Hard SATA Disk second one of you hardware geeks to help me here I finally bought the Maxtor DiamondMax hard drive Its SATA Gig with a Meg Cache and NCQ I already Getting "Hard Disk Error" on second SATA data drive have a SATA WD Raptor as my main drive and Getting "Hard Disk Error" on second SATA data drive trying to install this one has a data drive I have an Asus PW D Premium Board When I boot up it takes a long time about a minute to do anything than I eventually get a quot Hard disc error quot and I have to hit F to continue The BIOS recognizes the drive but Windows does not I ve swapped out the cable and tried a different controller same result While I have like hard drives laying around they are all PATA--no SATAs to try I think the drive is damaged I downloaded Maxtor s PowerMax but its worthless--goes through some tests and the inital ones pass and later ones fail but its the same thing on the other drive the Raptor and that one works fine Tells me eventually to contact Maxtor Tech Support on both drives Any ideas nbsp

Relevancy 100.19%

Hello A friend of mine s father hard be Urgent *Help External data "Needs reformatted" drive to passed away suddenly and she gave me an external hard drive to try and retrieve pictures from for his funeral this upcoming Thursday she said it malfunctioned when it was knocked over and fell a few hours ago I *Help Urgent External hard drive data "Needs to be reformatted" tried it with the case still on and Windows wouldn t even recognize it so I took apart the *Help Urgent External hard drive data "Needs to be reformatted" case of the external drive and removed the SATA WD Desktop drive to my Hard Drive reader it shows the Drive under the letter F and says quot The F Drive needs to be reformatted before any access quot Is there anyway I can retrieve the data from this drive with the current tools I have Drive reader along with a potential program perhaps or will they need to escalate this to a data recovery place that takes the platter completely out and retrieves the information that way I am using Windows Bit and this drive reader is pretty good never let me down in the past I m just stuck Thanks nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-urgent-external-hard-drive-data-needs-to-be-reformatted.1169679/
Relevancy 98.9%

This could sound confusing but please bare with me So I had a TB HD Sata with win I took it out and used a new SSD which I put Win on Then I hooked up a TB HD Sata as Storage Simple so far right Well now I want to get my documents Bookmarks etc off the quot OLD quot drive I figured simple like with IDE HD s but no When I hook it up as the only drive I get this message EFI Shell Version Current get do How main off Hard Data My Drive? I "former" running mode Map Cannot find required map name Press Esc in seconds to skip startup nsh any other key to continue shell id gt When I hook it up as the second How do I get Data off My "former" main Hard Drive? drive After the SSD the drive doesn t show up I tried to put it in another PC by itself but it said something like it wasn t the disk for that PC Someone please tell me there is an easy way around this I googled a bunch of stuff and tried a few things with no luck I m hoping I m just frustrated and missing the obvious Thanks for any help nbsp

A:How do I get Data off My "former" main Hard Drive?

How about unplugging ssd plug old drive back in then transfer stuff to ur 2tb once done unplug old and replug ssd ?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-i-get-data-off-my-former-main-hard-drive.194502/
Relevancy 98.9%

Hi - I've had a total computer meltdown. The repair shop has said that my hard drive is "bad" (whatever that means), that I need a new lcd screen, among other things. I don't want to spend the money to replace all of that (it's a 4 year old Toshiba Satellite 3000 series), but I need to get the data off of it! They said they tried getting it off, but the hard drive was "too damaged". So am I screwed? There is a lot of important info on that computer!

What are my options here?

Relevancy 98.47%

So my brother dropped his computer to the ground, and now it is not working properly.
I started windows in repair mode, but the computer freezes like this https://imgur.com/Pq1ncSs, but without the repair box.
I was wondering if it is possible to recover some of the files and stuff on the HD, when the computer is unable to boot.
I have taken out the harddrive from my brother's computer, and put it in to my own computer. When i did that, my own computer asked me if i wanted to run a disk-controll or something like that. After it finished, the computer has freezed like this: Imgur
The text at the bottom says: Controll of usn log complete. It has been like that for almost half an hour now, and i am not sure of what to do.
Answers are much appreciated.

A:Need help to recover files from a "dead" harddrive

Hello haakelv!

What kind of drive is it that your brother has? Brand and model?

The disk controller is plainly said a chip that controls a drive depending on its type – IDE, SCSI etc. It enables the CPU to “communicate” with the HDD.
The USN Journal is connected with the NTFS format and it maintains a record of changes which were made to the volume.

From what I understand by dropping his PC, your brother broke his hard drive's disk controller which nowadays is integrated in the hard drive itself, and evidently inserting the drive in to your system led to a USN Journal scan, which (if I am translating correctly) CHKDSK has checked the USN log, has repaired the USN Journal data flow and completed. But the system has hanged.

In my opinion the drive is too damaged to load, the disk controller is most likely broken, thus the drive can't communicate with the system on a healthy level.

You could plug the drive out, restart your system, plug in the drive again, go in to BIOS to make sure your own disk is at first booting position and see if you could load into your OS and open the drive through My Computer, but I doubt it would work.

You'll have to use a data recovery software or company if you need anything from the drive.

Good luck!

CK_WD

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/360818-need-help-recover-files-dead-harddrive.html
Relevancy 95.89%

every time i try to open one of this folders a window apears with this content
cant have acces to C:\Documents and Settings\Mike\Local Configuration\{one of these folders} acces denied
this affects my IE i cant download nothing thru IE all my files on that locations i cant set dispaly pictures on WINDOWS LIVE messenger and all thinks that has anything to do with those folders
any suggsestions or idea
hope you can help me
pd ive scanned my computer and its all clean also i cant install windows XP serivce pack 2 im kinda stucked :/

A:cant open "temprorary files" "aplication data" "program data"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-open-temprorary-files-aplication-data-program-data.555222/
Relevancy 95.89%

Hey I had Windows 7 home basic installed on my dell inspiron laptop, and there was only 1 partition (c drive), I think that I deleted something from windows, and now when m switching on the laptop its saying "operating system not found".
Somebody please help me, how can I recover the data on hard drive. Is it possible that data is still present on hdd.
Sorry for my grammer, m not good in english.

A:How to recover data if computer ia showing "no operating system found"

Simply plug the hard drive into another PC, then just copy and paste the data to whatever storage device you have available

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/365061-how-recover-data-if-computer-ia-showing-no-operating-system-found.html
Relevancy 94.6%

I have an entire column of data that I need in one cell. When combined I need each piece of data to be surrounded by " " and a , between each one.

results = "151","183","2001"

A:Solved: Excel Column of data place in one cell with "data", "data" results

ASAP's "Merge row data" ("Columns and rows" category) will do 99% of the work for you.

http://www.asap-utilities.com/

(edit: "entire column" -- do you mean full from top to bottom? )

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-excel-column-of-data-place-in-one-cell-with-data-data-results.975601/
Relevancy 94.6%

The hard drive is a Western Digital 320 GB that I've had plugged into this computer before (and worked). Then i got a virus and had to do a recovery of windows.

Ever since then I can't get windows to recognize/show it in my computer. I just "disabled" and "enabled" it in device manager to no effect. I have a C, D, and E drive which are: two partitions on the hard drive, and then the CD drive (respectively).

So i'm stuck, not sure where to proceed since it's obviously not the hard drive itself, I use it on my xbox all the time. What next?

A:External Hard Drive doesn't show up in "my computer" but does in "device manager"

Does it show in Disk Management ? ?
Right clik My Computer...select Manage...then Disk Management.
Find the drive...right clik it and select Properties.
Report back with your findings.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/276295-external-hard-drive-doesnt-show-up-my-computer-but-does-device-manager.html
Relevancy 94.17%

In one office decided to reinstall Windows 7, became ill after working virus.
As expected, copied documents from the desktop to the disk D, format screw and reinstall Windows and a bunch of programm.
Then came the user of this computer and was horrified to find that it has no data in Outlook 2010, and he had already warned that it has a post office.
In general, the file Outlook.pst stayed somewhere on disk C, has already lost.
D drive someone 2 years ago made a backup copy of this file - there is 5GB.
But it is very necessary for the letters of 2012 and 2013.
How can I restore the whole thing? In general, is it possible?

A:"How to recover data, Outlook 2010?"

You might be able to try one of the data recovery programs that are out there. But that is not a guarantee that it will work to recover those letters. This is why you and any computer user essentially should have a backup device of some sort to fully backup your drive(s) at all times; even if you manually make a backup you should still use a backup device. Im not totally familiar with the the data recovery programs that are out there that actually work; so you may have to google search and see what comes up.

http://www.sevenforums.com/microsoft-office/354110-how-recover-data-outlook-2010-a.html
Relevancy 94.17%

I just installed a new 60gb hard drive as a back up to put my movie files on,it installed fine and it works fine but i get "windows milenium emergancy boot" when i boot the system up .I don"t know if this error is serious but I do know that the system seems less stable in this boot mode..can someone please help? thanx

A:after installing new "hard drive" it starts with "windows emergency boot"

closing duplicate, view this thread
http://forums.techguy.org/t76279/s5b1a29d68c715c9a36d25291025adddb.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/after-installing-new-hard-drive-it-starts-with-windows-emergency-boot.76282/
Relevancy 94.17%

infected with quot vbs quot used quot Flash folders with on hard don't open afte infected all "vbs", drive "Flash_Disinfector" Disinfector quot amp folders on hard drive unable to open HI i got infected with quot vbs quot through someone's usb i ran quot Flash Disinfector quot then installed quot kaspersky quot scaned the whole computer it also deleted vbs trojan However after that when i infected with "vbs", afte "Flash_Disinfector" all folders on hard drive don't open tried to open my computer by clicking on its icon it did not open i tried to open it fron strat up but the result was same all others like my documents etc were all right i open my computer through my documents opened my c drive when i tried to open further any folder present present in the C drive it gave me the error that is this item quot vbs quot that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved so this shortcut will no longer work properly Do you want to delete this shortcut infected with "vbs", afte "Flash_Disinfector" all folders on hard drive don't open Howerever all my folders were not having any shortcut sign amp it was same with all folders present in all my drives but when i wrote the name of the folder in the address bar it opened normaly so now i cannot open my computer through its icon plus all the folders present in my hard drive please help me to sort this thing out dds DDS Ver - - - NTFSx Run by Nadeem Ahmad at on Sat Internet Explorer Microsoft Windows XP Professional GMT AV Kaspersky Anti-Virus On-access scanning disabled Updated C D BC - - -A F -E C Running Processes C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS system svchost -k DcomLaunch svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe -k netsvcs C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe svchost exe svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe c program files idt wdm STacSV exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files Hewlett-Packard HP Quick Launch Buttons QlbCtrl exe C Program Files Apoint K Apoint exe C Program Files IDT WDM sttray exe C Program Files Apoint K ApMsgFwd exe C Program Files Kaspersky Lab Kaspersky Anti-Virus avp exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Microsoft ActiveSync Wcescomm exe C Program Files Apoint K Apntex exe C PROGRA MI AA rapimgr exe C Program Files Kaspersky Lab Kaspersky Anti-Virus avp exe C Program Files Symantec Norton Ghost GhostStartService exe C Program Files Intel Intel R Management Engine Components LMS LMS exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe -k imgsvc C Program Files Intel Intel R Management Engine Components UNS UNS exe C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE Core-Static MOM exe C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE Core-Static ccc exe C Program Files Hewlett-Packard Shared hpqwmiex exe C Program Files Hewlett-Packard HP Quick Launch Buttons Com QLBEx exe C Documents and Settings Nadeem Ahmad Desktop dds scr Pseudo HJT Report uStart Page hxxp www msn com uDefault Page URL hxxp www msn com uInternet Connection Wizard ShellNext wmplayer exe ICWLaunch uInternet Settings ProxyServer socks uWindows Load quot c windows system smss exe vbs quot BHO HelperObject Class c d-c - c - -fce ad c - c program files techsmith snagit SnagItBHO dll BHO QvodExtend ac - de - - a e-a af add - c program files qvodplayer QvodExtend dll BHO Groove GFS Browser Helper - c - d -b f - bbc d a e - c progra micros office GRA E DLL BHO MSN Toolbar Helper d ce e -f a- - e- dc f c f - c program files msn toolbar msneshellx dll BHO Ask Toolbar d c f- a- -a ad- d - c program files ask com GenericAskToolbar dll TB SnagIt ff e -abde- eb-b e-d aab cabe - c program files techsmith snagit SnagItIEAddin dll TB MSN Toolbar e ed c- cb - d -b e -ab c c - c program files msn toolbar msneshellx dll TB Ask Toolbar d c f- a- -a ad- d - c program files ask com GenericAskToolbar dll TB FF E -ABDE- EB-B E-D AAB CABE - No File TB BC A- - D - AC -E B A BA C - No File uRun ctfmon exe c windows system ctfmon exe uRun H PC Connection Agent quot c program files ... Read more

A:infected with "vbs", afte "Flash_Disinfector" all folders on hard drive don't open

Hello buct,

It will require more than 1 round to clean the system. Please stay with me until given the 'all clear' even if symptoms seem to abate.

Download ComboFix from one of these locations:

Link 1
Link 2

* IMPORTANT- Save ComboFix.exe to your Desktop

====================================================

Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications as they will interfere with our tools and the removal.

====================================================

Double click on combofix.exe & follow the prompts.

As part of it's process, ComboFix will check to see if the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed. With malware infections being as they are today, it's strongly recommended to have this pre-installed on your machine before doing any malware removal. It will allow you to boot up into a special recovery/repair mode that will allow us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware.

Follow the prompts to allow ComboFix to download and install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console, and when prompted, agree to the End-User License Agreement to install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console.

**Please note: If the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is already installed, ComboFix will continue it's malware removal procedures.

Once the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed using ComboFix, you should see the following message:

Click on Yes, to continue scanning for malware.

When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Please include the C:\ComboFix.txt in your next reply for further review.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f100/infected-with-vbs-afte-flash_disinfector-all-folders-on-hard-drive-dont-open-468423.html
Relevancy 94.17%

I was copying cut and paste data from one external hard drive a GB IDE Maxtor in a Adaptec USB enclosure to another external a GB IDE Samsung in a Roswill USB enclosure During the move During this move my Thinkpad T p encountered a NMI Parity error to which I m still unsure what caused it though I think it may have been my Dock II screwing stuff up I did memtest times over and my memory passed so I am assuming its my Dock II ANYWAYS So the NMI Parity error "Hard Catastrophic is dawn" Failure" or Drive before night darkest "The was a blue screen and I restarted the computer After the restart I noticed the Maxtor external hard drive was missing from my drive list and in disk management it show as an uninitialized disk Okay no biggie I ve dealt with this before I tried using GetDataBack for NTFS that failed to recover Also failed were Active Partition recovery Data Doctor Recovery File Recovery Restorer TestDisk and ZAR I m guessing my Master File Table is trashed and I can t recover it Does anyone have any ideas nbsp

A:"Hard Drive Catastrophic Failure" or "The night is darkest before dawn"

Zar should have recovered it (if the data is recoverable)
Also (you may already realize this now) in future Copy and paste

More recovery tools here

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-catastrophic-failure-or-the-night-is-darkest-before-dawn.113336/
Relevancy 94.17%

HI i got infected with quot vbs quot through someone's usb i ran quot Flash Disinfector quot then installed quot kaspersky quot scaned the whole computer it also deleted open used & drive "vbs", on unable with folders "Flash_Disinfector" to hard infected vbs trojan However after that when i tried to open my computer by clicking on its icon it did not open i tried to open it fron strat up but the result was same all others like my documents etc were all right i open my computer through my documents opened my c drive when i tried to open further any folder present infected with "vbs", used "Flash_Disinfector" & folders on hard drive unable to open present in the C drive it gave me the error i am including the error meggage in attachment howerever all my folders were not having any shortcut sign amp it was same with all folders present in all my drives infected with "vbs", used "Flash_Disinfector" & folders on hard drive unable to open but when i wrote the name of the folder in the address bar it opened normaly infected with "vbs", used "Flash_Disinfector" & folders on hard drive unable to open so now i cannot open my computer through its icon plus all the folders present in my hard drive please help me to sort this thing out

A:infected with "vbs", used "Flash_Disinfector" & folders on hard drive unable to open

Hello and Welcome.

We want all our members to perform the steps outlined in the link I'll give you below, before posting for assistance. There's a sticky at the top of this forum, and a
Quote:

Having problems with spyware and pop-ups? First Steps

link at the top of each page.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please follow our pre-posting process outlined here:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f50/...lp-305963.html

After running through all the steps, you shall have a proper set of logs. Please post them in a new topic, as this one shall be closed.

If you have trouble with one of the steps, simply move on to the next one, and make note of it in your reply.

Please note that the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help forum is extremely busy, and it may take a while to receive a reply.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f100/infected-with-vbs-used-flash_disinfector-and-folders-on-hard-drive-unable-to-open-468303.html
Relevancy 93.74%

Hi all This is a weird one - Our Server room has switches - gigabit and s a few weeks "Dead" Wall Data Port ago on the switches in the server room I was changing some data ports Wall Data Port "Dead" that the patch panel cables were plugged into It was just to get the servers closer togther on the same Gigabyte switch Immediately after I had complaints from a few users that they lost network connectivity and sure enough their PCs had none even though I hadn t removed or changed those data ports at all It appeared that the physical data port that their PC was plugged into near their desk had gone dead I tried connecting different laptops to them and still no network recognition The switches wouldn t recognize the data port example the data port marked D- on the wall by the users desk would not be recognized by any of the switches no matter what free port I tried plugging the patch cable from D- into I ended up using different data Wall Data Port "Dead" ports to allow the users immediate access to the network About weeks later the data ports that appeared dead came back online I could plug into them Wall Data Port "Dead" again with a client PC and get connectivity from the server room switches It s now happened again and I m at a loss as to why It can t be a DHCP thing as no client PC could use the data port but all clients could use any other port It doesn t appear to be a network card issue as all clients can attain and hold an IP number if they use another data port It is very specific to the data port but only for a few weeks Anyone have any ideas Thanks in advance if anyone can help nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wall-data-port-dead.911435/
Relevancy 92.88%

I used a DriveWire - Universal Hard Drive Adapter IDE PATA SATA to USB HDD Adapter to hook up A quot Hard Drive Samsung model HD HJ to my desktop in an attempt to get my wife's files off her old desktop machine and merge Drive Hard ready",won't Initialized", recognize "Not "device is not them into mine It all started off fine the drive was recognized and I could see the files Hard Drive "Not Initialized", "device is not ready",won't recognize when I plugged in the USB cord I started a NOD scan of the drive and a few minutes later a spark flew off my power strip and the fuse blew - looks like a Hard Drive "Not Initialized", "device is not ready",won't recognize letter opener shorted between two of the plugs I think I killed the hard drive I replaced the power strip and started everything back up The drive spins but no longer is recognized by the computer when Hard Drive "Not Initialized", "device is not ready",won't recognize plugged in no drive letter for it Under Disk Management I see the disk listed as quot unknown quot and quot not initialized quot Originally I had the option to right click and select quot Initialize quot and I was given option to use two partitiion styles MBR or GPT I tried both to no avail and get the quot device is not ready quot message I can right click select quot Offline quot and get the same message right-click quot Properties quot say the device is working properly I plugged in another drive on the hard drive adapter and it works so it's not the vault of the adapter I try the same setup on my laptop and get the same results So I'm pretty sure I killed the drive I just care about getting pictures and documents off it Any advise I know there are data recovery services out there that can probably help me but I'd rather not pay the big bucks if I can avoid that

A:Hard Drive "Not Initialized", "device is not ready",won't recognize

If you have killed the drive, there isn't very much you do about it. Even experts cannot sometimes recover anything, and it's just a wast of money.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/267704-hard-drive-not-initialized-device-not-ready-wont-recognize.html
Relevancy 92.88%

My hard drive not showing in "my computer" or "Disk Management" but is showing under device manager. I got the hard drive from a friend and his dad had put a Password encryption on it. Any Ideas?

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/60253-hard-drive-not-showing-my-computer-disk-managment-help.html
Relevancy 92.45%

I took out my GB NTFS SATA HDD out of the PC to put into the new HDD enclosure I have just bought Tried several times connecting the new HDD enclosure with my HDD in it but the drive would not appear Checked with quot Windows Disk Management quot in quot Administrative Tools quot and it said that the drive has quot failed quot So I tried How Has Help! recover??? to Data "disappeared", Hdd quot refreshing quot the drive careful NOT to reformat it Eventually I gave up and just took it out of the enclosure to install back into the PC But after installing it back into the PC it shows that the drive is empty and all my photos and videos are gone It says the disk is quot Not Formatted quot and is asking whether I would like to format it I don't understand how all the data has disappeared when the HDD has not Help! Hdd Data Has "disappeared", How to recover??? been reformatted The HDD name has also changed Help! Hdd Data Has "disappeared", How to recover??? to quot Local Disk quot which is typical of unused or newly installed drives There is nothing wrong with the HDD now It's just all the data has gone missing What options do I have now I know that data recovery can be expensive Ironically I was actually in the process of backing it up knowing how much data has already accumulated over the years hence the purchase of the external enclosure I know GB is a lot to recover but those files are irreplaceable BTW running on XP sp Already used quot Partition Find amp Mount quot and quot Testdisk quot but with negative results Truly a very sad day for me I feel like I've been robbed Any help appreciated Thanks all in advance

A:Help! Hdd Data Has "disappeared", How to recover???

Welcome to TSF.

Did you try the TestDisk procedure described here: http://www.techsupportforum.com/1163140-post1.html

Some data recovery programs:

GetDataBack
Recuva
Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/help-hdd-data-has-disappeared-how-to-recover-264271.html
Relevancy 92.45%

I know this is a longshot but here goes My wife s notebook had a terrible virus that hijacked the entire machine and "restoring" to way recover Any old data after XP? the network connection It wouldn t allow me to restart the machine in safe mode or Any way to recover old data after "restoring" XP? restart it at all for that matter My only choice after talking to Dell and Microsoft techs was to use Dell s quot System Restore quot disk to reinstall XP and start over Needless to say we lost a lot of important data the most vital of Any way to recover old data after "restoring" XP? which included several MS WORD files filled with notes and contact names for family finances etc Now that the notebook is up and running once again after what I assume was a fresh reinstall is there any off-the-shelf software I can use to inspect the harddisk to determine whether any of Any way to recover old data after "restoring" XP? the old files are still there and recoverable I really would like to get those files back Obviously this is a long shot but any help would be appreciated Thanks nbsp

A:Any way to recover old data after "restoring" XP?

One of the best, and free at that, is PCI File Recovery.

Restoration is another one.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/any-way-to-recover-old-data-after-restoring-xp.392147/
Relevancy 92.45%

Hi, I'm back with another issue

So, my laptop Windows Vista 32x.

My Hard-Drive I guess had an issue. And my data vanished.......... But the HDD is reading as if it is still there. I re-installed windows, Went to windows.old And my Data is not there............... But I have 1GB left on my HDD is there a way to get the data before I format it?

Update 1.

I downloaded the everything program. Entered the names and found the files. When I went the folder, it was empty, I did folder options to show hidden views, I got the data, But the Files are kinda Shaded out in a light color if that makes sense

A:Recover "Missing Data"

Hello Pinakfans,

A faded file or folder indicates that it was either set to be hidden, or is a hidden system file. You may be able to unhide them by unticking the "Hidden" box as in the tutorial below to not have them faded anymore.

File and Folder - Hide or Unhide - Windows 7 Forums

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/289356-recover-missing-data.html
Relevancy 91.59%

Ok guys.. I screwed up big time... I was about to create a bootable flash drive with a utility called HPflash and right the moment I pressed the start button I realized that the selected drive wasnt my flash drive.. but my external hard disk with 400 Gigs of Data! I dont know about you guys.. but I had tons of pictures and videos.. (my wedding video too!) And I am going nuts now.. can anyone please give me some hope and tell me I can recover all my files? Do I need to use one of the un-delete software out there? When I click on the hard disk it states that it needs to be formatted.. so apparently it hasnt.. so what happened to it? Can I undo what I did very quickly? thanks!

Relevancy 90.3%

Hello I recently bought a TB external USB hard disk which became how to "unallocated", 3TB disc Hard recover? suddenly did not want to start When switching on I 3TB Hard disc became "unallocated", how to recover? could here the disk try to start 3TB Hard disc became "unallocated", how to recover? to rotate but it didn't as if the provided power was too 3TB Hard disc became "unallocated", how to recover? weak or so I unscrewed the disk from its housing and put the housing with its S-ATA-to-USB controller aside and plugged the disk - a quot ST DM - CH Seagate Barracuda quot - to a PC cases S-ATA Port now it really started Then as soon as I started the disk manager I was asked to quot activate quot the disk which I did maybe this was a fault Now I have activated the disk but in disk manager there are two partitions showing up now GB unallocated GB unallocated I installed EaseUS Data recovery wizard to my systems hard disk of course and started a recovery search which took about hours I got a complete list of all files that where are on the disk and obviously I can recover all actually I started the recovery to another disk But the complete folder structure would be lost if recovering the files this way all would be saved in one huge folder quot NTFS lost files quot or so This makes this kind of recovery useless for me Now EaseUS is able to save a once done search result and load it later so one only once has to run that time consuming search So I saved the result and interrupted the even much more time consuming recovery At least I know now that the files are all on the disk and also is the folder structure as I was able to see it in EaseUS too Now here is my question Is there any way to recover the former quot TB-one-partition-state quot without destroying the data on the disk And Just for my understanding Why do I see two partitions now Is Windows unable to deal with TB partitions at all This is my setup Normal home desktop self built with GB RAM Quad-Core Ghz no Raid or special stuff Windows Ultimate Thank you very very much for your help I really appreciate it

A:3TB Hard disc became "unallocated", how to recover?

Wait for more comments, but I think your better move would have been to attempt to recover the original partition, rather than immediately try to recover the files.

If that disk originally had a single 3 TB partition, it was initialized as "GPT", not the more commonly found MBR. MBR partitions are limited to 2.2 TB.

That EaseUS tool you have may or may not have partition recovery capability. The standard recommendation on this forum for partition recovery is to use Partition Wizard:

Free download Magic Partition Manager Software, partition magic alternative, free partition magic, partition magic Windows 7 and server partition software - Partition Wizard Online

You might download that tool, but I'd wait for more comments before using it or EaseUS.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/331256-3tb-hard-disc-became-unallocated-how-recover.html
Relevancy 89.01%

Re cloned a G HDD to a G USB Flash stick Nov this link helped me http www techspot com community t e-old-usb-storage-drivers post- Andy ----- Original Message ----- From Andy Sent Friday November PM Subject cloned a G HDD to a G USB Flash stick hi all happy holidays etc this USB drive Flash into solved data "Insert H: drive" loss/lock/error drive is an old issue yet i am still working on it in July I cloned my G HDD onto a G USB Flash solved USB Flash drive "Insert drive into H: drive" data loss/lock/error stick in Sept I had a data loss so I thought to recover my data using this G clone I put this G Flash stick into my computer and it showed up as a Local drive yet was inaccessible and with its LED flashing incessantly this was solved USB Flash drive "Insert drive into H: drive" data loss/lock/error after I treated this G USB flash stick as if it were a whole computer and I then attempted to use misused Win Vista s EasyTransfer program in a failed attempt to restore my lost data solved USB Flash drive "Insert drive into H: drive" data loss/lock/error img src styles default xenforo clear png class mceSmilieSprite mceSmilie alt title Frown I later ran CHKDSK f r on it and Chkdsk repaired and or deleted about quot attributes quot files after which this G Flash only shows up as a Removable Storage not Local drive and remains locked data inaccessible yet without the flashing LED the USB drive when I clicked on it in My Computer would give the an error message quot Insert drive into H drive quot Insert a drive into my tiny USB drive which isn t even a CD or DVD drive I tried all the free home remedy data recovery tools that I could find then I snail-mailed this thumb drive to my computer whiz baby brother finally I purchased for and downloaded Seagate s data recovery tool and had my brother return the drive this was when I found the link above and it s freeware DriveCleanUp program and this solved my issue ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ what I think was still is quot the problem quot locked drive issue is that the clone looks for the same C assignation as my HDD which btw I had been able to upgrade to G the problem now I guess is where can I find an old XP or Vista computer to fool around with changing the C drive letter as I m afraid to experiment on this my only one of my two working lt Vista gt machines ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- this wasn t the problem my issue was caused by left-over USB Flash storage and other USB drivers which once installed were never removed the freeware DriveCleanUp program linked in the link and properly installed please study the instructions in the link should help you with this issue it helped me ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- any thoughts appreciated Andy nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-usb-flash-drive-insert-drive-into-h-drive-data-loss-lock-error.1140361/
Relevancy 89.01%

Someone spilled a liquid on my wife's laptop damaging the keyboard and internals. It cannot boot but I need to get the files from the HD. I bought one of those USB to laptop HD cables, removed the HD and hooked the cable to my desktop Windows 7 PC. The drive came up as "System Reserved" with only the boot sector folders visible. I hooked it to an XP PC and autoplay showed all the folders but I couldn't see them in "Computer." I tried backing everything up to a DVD but it failed for some reason. This somehow may have damaged the drive.

The drive now appears and disappears in device manager. When it's listed, it shows as working properly but no longer shows up in Computer or Disk Management.

Any chance of getting files off of the laptop HD?

A:Need to get files from dead laptop- drive shows as "System Reserved"

Well.. it may be that the drive was damaged by all the shorting out possibly going on during the accident.

But I would try to remove the USB/HD cable as those can sometimes be problematic in various ways (like power issues to drive, and drive size issues etc).

If it is a sata drive you should be able to hook it straight up to the inside of a desktop and see how it works there. (Now I better C my A here and say that if the drive has been damaged electrically, hooking it up to your desktop could have some small chance of causing more damage there...)

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/206383-need-get-files-dead-laptop-drive-shows-system-reserved.html
Relevancy 88.58%

This can get confusing at least to me but I m going to try and describe everything as best that I can Here we go -As the title says my OS is Windows XP Home BACKSTORY When I woke up today I saw that my computer had restarted in the night but it was set at the power saver XP, Windows original working Help! copies "dead", of drive: Two off D is now screen not the log in screen I restarted again logged into my name Everything was fine for a few minutes but out of nowhere my computer restarted again doing the same Two copies of Windows XP, original is "dead", now working off D drive: Help! thing I tried to restart again and it wouldn t do anything I turned it totally off and it started up but I got the BSOD Before I could read it my computer restarted again I did a bit of research and was able to turn off the automatic restart I saw the BSOD again and it didn t really tell me much at all I restarted again and it was pretty much dead telling me that the system file was corrupt or not found and as I tried to restart it again it would sometimes say that and it would also mention other files as well The message was on the black gray screen I called a computer place near here and they told me to reinstall XP I went through the process thinking that all of my files would be deleted I had to create new accounts etc When I did this it actually installed a new copy of it over the screwed up one that I have always used So now when I log on I get the message asking me to pick which OS to use both of which are XP The second one will not load at all my old one but the first one is fine The problem other than my old XP being screwed up was that I couldn t find any of my files I finally looked in the C drive documents and settings and saw that the folders for the old accounts were still there I could get to all of them except for the Owner folder said access was denied I found a work around that though so now I can access ALL of my previous files and nothing was really deleted The only difference now is that my bookmarks in Opera and Foxfire are seemingly totally gone if they aren t please let me know I d love to have all of that back Now here is where I m at right now CURRENT PROBLEMS I had XP and everything installed on my gig original HD that came with the PC Down the line I ended up getting a gig HD for video files music work stuff and on and on I just discovered that the NEW XP copy is now being installed on that gig HD Whe I download programs and install them the default is now the gig HD etc How in the world can I do the following -Delete uninstall the old now screwed up copy of XP without losing any of my files -How can I change things back to how they were where my gig HD was the master default drive and the gig HD was just a backup where nothing was actually installed on it -Would it be better just to keep windows installed on the gig HD as it is now and just uninstalling it from the gig HD and just use that one as backup How can I just do that I just don t want to screw things up any more than they are now I m afraid to even use the C drive original gig HD for anything right now because of the problems with the copy of XP that s loaded on to it I ve been trying to take all of the files from the C drive that I don t want to lose and move them to the gig HD which is now seemingly the default for some reason Is this a smart thing to do Please help Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Two copies of Windows XP, original is "dead", now working off D drive: Help!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/two-copies-of-windows-xp-original-is-dead-now-working-off-d-drive-help.462491/
Relevancy 88.58%

I've searched around the forums and all I can seem to find are people with one or two dead pixels (the absolute max I saw was 8). On the left side of my monitor, I have an extremely large amount of dead pixels. It's about the size of two quarters. It started out small (as a single pixel - then a single line - then a large blob). I've tried just about everything to get rid of it. I've tried massaging it out, using websites/software like www.jscreenfix.com, to no avail. I really don't have the money for a new monitor. Any ideas? Thanks!

Here is an image:[img=http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/5543/img2729c.th.jpg]

Relevancy 88.15%

It's a mole hill of a problem, but it is a bit annoying to have to click on my principal drive ("C") every time I'm doing a "save". I have enclosed an excerpt of a screen shot of my "save as" window to display how the default drive being automatically selected is the "D" drive rather than the "C" drive that I use primarily. To be honest, I don't know whether this can be corrected by a software change, or whether it's the way the two hard drives are connected in my computer.

I'd appreciate it if anyone has a suggestion to offer if there is a way to make my "C" drive the default selection when I attempt to do a save function. Thanks

A:Solved: How do I change default hard drive when doing a "Save as""?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-how-do-i-change-default-hard-drive-when-doing-a-save-as.912279/
Relevancy 86.86%

Hi I have a inch GB Toshiba rpm laptop hard drive that I need to recover data from please save the speeches on backing up data I know them all I know this is a bit long but I appreciate anyone O's) data oh a (ah spaghetti from drive 2.5" hard recovering failed taking the time to read through Anyway the drive is pretty much dead On about three occasions last week it started making random loud buzzing noises On those roughly occasions it would buzz for about seconds and then stop and go about normal operation When the buzzing went on everything was still under normal functionality I ve been very busy with school so last week I didn t recovering data from a failed 2.5" hard drive (ah oh spaghetti O's) have time to back my stuff up and this weekend when I turned it on to go about doing that the hard drive wouldn t spin up I take that back--my laptop wouldn t turn on at all--under AC or the battery that was in at the time I switched to a different battery and it started on DC power Upon switching the battery it turned on under battery power but the HD didn t spin up it made this low pitched and quiet whirring sound and seconds or so later I got the quot no operating system found quot message At this point I immediately stopped trying to boot from my laptop and bought a quot USB hard drive enclosure When plugging into a USB port on my desktop I don t get anything but when plugging into my desktop goes through all the usual steps of installing drivers and says it has found a quot USB mass storage device quot and when it is done installing it asks to reboot but stalls when booting windows on the reboot recovering data from a failed 2.5" hard drive (ah oh spaghetti O's) The only way to get into windows at this point is to revert back to a previous known good configuration and this is with the quot drive disconnected even Basically my logic is that I want to see if this USB thing works before turning to professional help which I probably recovering data from a failed 2.5" hard drive (ah oh spaghetti O's) won t go as far as doing The data is important to recover but not important enough to pay a professional keep in mind that I m a college student with years and two months of student loans over my head The most important thing on this hard drive is a project that is due next week so any time line past this weekend lessens the significance of trying to recover data Does anyone have any advice on this situation I have moderate - to - considerable knowledge on a wide variety of computer issues so I can handle any ideas that can be thrown at me including things such as moving the disk platters into a new hard drive which I ve never done before and wouldn t attempt until I can determine that all hope is lost and further damage won t make a difference at that point I ve heard in the past that freezing the hard drive sometimes gives a good - minute last run Anyone have experience with this The failed HD GB Toshiba quot SCSI rpm XP Pro x SP - GB partition XP Pro x SP - GB partition Vista Beta - GB partition DATA - GB partition there is data that needs to be recovered on the x partition and the data partition desktop where I ll put my recovered data before burning to disk XP Pro SP P Ghz MB SDRam GB WD rpm GB Seagate SATA rpm GB ATA WD rpm GB ATA WD rpm x DL DVD -RW USB enclosure is a USB COSMOS aluminum enclosure the box and documentation doesn t give a model number If any additional info is needed don t hesitate to ask Any and all help advice ideas are greatly appreciated Don t hesitate to just blurt out the first thing that comes to mind if you think it could help Thanks in advance Don t think of this as potentially recoverable data being at stake I m assuming it s lost and never to return so any result in the positive is just a good break i e don t worry about destructive advice --Last but not least-- If anyone has any experience with physical data recovery from damaged drives and has some free time on their hands--I can p... Read more

A:recovering data from a failed 2.5" hard drive (ah oh spaghetti O's)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/recovering-data-from-a-failed-2-5-hard-drive-ah-oh-spaghetti-os.444769/
Relevancy 86.86%

Hi from a new member.
Can anyone help with my son's problem?
His 40g hard drive has failed and is no longer recognised by BIOS. His opsys is Win ME, but I have tried his disk in my Win 98 machine in various combinations of Master and Slave but it never get recoginised (BIOS set to Auto detect). Have also swapped my drive into his machine and it works. But both machines hang at SLAVE not recoginised.
So, is there anyway I and get a machine to run BIOS past the Slave disk hangup and then get inormation off the slave? Or, is it complety hopeless?

Relevancy 86.43%

I have a chart in an Excel spreadsheet, and it has several "series" in it. Some of the series are charted as "lines", and some are "areas" that fill in the entire background of anything from 0 to the value I have entered.

I have one particular series that is showing up as an "area" but I want it to be drawn as a "line" instead, so it DOESN'T fill in the area below it. I currently have the "background" as "none", but now I have a line from the last value down to "0", and that's what I want to avoid...

Thanks in advance!

A:Solved: Excel 2003 - how to change a chart data series from "area" to "line"??

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-excel-2003-how-to-change-a-chart-data-series-from-area-to-line.688560/
Relevancy 86%

Hello

how can I delete "saved password" and "form data" of microsoft
edge manually ?!

after too much search in google ....

I trid to delete some value of the following registry address
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppContainer\Storage\microsoft.microsoftedge_8wek yb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge\

also I tried to delete some files in the following folder
%LocalAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\

and finally I could not find the way ...!!!

please help !

A:delete "saved password" and "form data" from microsoft edge manually

Hi,
Welcome to the forums, go to settings (... dots from top right), click view Advanced settings and "Manage Saved Passwords".
HTH.

http://www.tenforums.com/browsers-email/35630-delete-saved-password-form-data-microsoft-edge-manually.html
Relevancy 86%

I'm getting a lot of "Check Disk for Errors" and "this hard drive needs to be formatted before it can be used" error messages when plugging my external usb hard drives into my home pc which uses windows 7. I don't get any of these messages when I plug the same hard drives in at any of a number of pcs at work which use windows xp. Any ideas on why this is happening only with windows 7? I'm also getting a lot of disconnects and reconnects on these devices but again only on windows 7.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give...

DR

A:"Check Disk for Errors" & "hard drive needs to be formatted" errors

Welcome

I would do the ck disk. If you still get the notices, I would be concerned about HD failure. Take the HD diagnosis.
http://www.carrona.org/hddiag.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/91900-check-disk-errors-hard-drive-needs-formatted-errors.html
Relevancy 86%

I think I m screwed but I want someone to tell me in writing Yesterday I was on my computer when my hard drive started making a clicking sound quot click of death quot from what I gather My computer immediately froze and I had to hold down the power button to get it to turn off It won t turn back on I can t start it in safe mode and when I tried to use the recovery CD it said there was no hard drive Since then I ve been using my friend s laptop and searching all over the internet for answers I booted to w/out files Possible hard recover drive. professional? Dead it with a Linex live CD tonight but I can t access any files confusing I don t know if I m doing it right I bought my Compaq computer online in It came Dead hard drive. Possible to recover files w/out professional? with Microsoft Office installed on it so I don t have a disk I ve upgraded to Office since then but downloaded it online so I don t have a disk for it either All I have on disk is Office I backed up my Documents and Settings a few months ago but that does me no good if I don t have the software to go along with it Paying a professional costs a mint and I don t know if they would be able to recover anyway Do I have any hope Do you think I should try a new logic board or should I just give up and start over with a new hard drive and new software with all of that extra money I most certainly don t have nbsp

Relevancy 86%

My friend has a dell laptop and now when they turn it on it just gets a black screen I tried it it just has a blinking cursor in the top left corner I booted to a linux mint cd but when you try to mount the hard drive it gives an error about the file system being half broken or to laptop drive from dead files recover Trying maybe hard something sorry I don't have the exact error but basically it said it couldn't mount and you should run chkdsk f in windows So I took Trying to recover files from maybe dead laptop hard drive the hard drive out and put it in my usb drive dock At first it seemed to add the drive but in explorer it only showed the dell recovery partition drive not the main boot drive I looked in computer management and it doesn't show the drive at all and then in explorer the dell recovery drive disappeared Now explorer won't respond If I go to safely remove hardware it does show it as E and G so I guess it's sort of seeing both the recovery and main drive partitions I just clicked on it to safely remove but nothing is happening Explorer is still not responding How should I proceed

A:Trying to recover files from maybe dead laptop hard drive

10 minutes later safely remove finally comes up and says its safe to remove the drive (and explorer is no longer frozen) haha. I'm going to just turn off the dock for now and wait for some replies here because I'm not sure what to do next.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/550954/trying-to-recover-files-from-maybe-dead-laptop-hard-drive/
Relevancy 85.57%

I only get the BSOD when playing games not any specific game but any sometime i can go a whole week of playing games and have no BSOD at all and somedays minutes after a game is running it will BSOD everytime all day long When I try to Run any game like GW Or Inquisition my pc turns into Bluescreen with an error CRITICAL PROCESS DIED or KERNEL DATA INPAGE ERROR I ve already Updated all my drivers and reinstalled all my games also run chkdsk f and memtest with no problems This is the screen Also this is my dump config note that i have windows not Still it doesn t create any File or Folder and when the BSOD happens the blue screen say that its collecting info but it doesn t get off It s the same with the Inpage & Data "Critical Process Error" Died" "Kernel critical process died it just goes to the "Critical Process Died" & "Kernel Data Inpage Error" blue screen saying its collecting info but it also doesn t get off I m completely baffled with what to do as the blue screen view hasn t picked up anything and i cant find the dump files nbsp

A:"Critical Process Died" & "Kernel Data Inpage Error"

Hi BTW, welcome to the TSG Forums....

You may find this from the MS Community helpful. If Greek is easier to understand than this article then come back to this Forum and someone will help you.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-system/windows-81-bsod-kernel-data-inpage-error-and/b67ae41a-9228-4462-9c53-d1f5d115f784

T.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/critical-process-died-kernel-data-inpage-error.1142685/
Relevancy 85.14%

I Just installed my system with Windows XP Pro SP3. But I have a very strange problem.

I have installed hundreds of computers before but have never come accross this, I have 3 SATA drives in RAID and another 1TB drive as a backup souce. Now when I installed I selected the RAID array as the installation destination, and all went fine. But now that I am in windows this is what I see:

As can be seen, my 1TB HD has been set as the C:\ root and the RAID array with windows on as D:\ When installing programs they are directed to D:\

I think this has something to do with the MBR but Ii do not want to go and remove/remake it without been sure first, does anybody know how to sort this mess out please without a reinstall?

Thanks

A:One hard drive is set as "Boot and the other as "System"...Help

You know i'm not sure. I don't think that you can change the drive letter for the system partition

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/one-hard-drive-is-set-as-boot-and-the-other-as-system-help-396271.html
Relevancy 85.14%

"0x80070057" error. I was simply trying to copy a folder or group of files to another hard drive.
Hard drive to Hard drive, no SSD or External was involved.

Any solutions to this issue?

It literally refuses the copying to be performed ...

I'm trying to copy folders/files from a Seagate SATA II 320 GB Hard Drive to a newer Western Digital SATA II 1 TB Hard Drive.
thanks

A:"0x80070057" Error copying files from hard drive to hard drive??

Quote: Originally Posted by axelrose

"0x80070057" error. I was simply trying to copy a folder or group of files to another hard drive.
Hard drive to Hard drive, no SSD or External was involved.

Any solutions to this issue?

It literally refuses the copying to be performed ...

I'm trying to copy folders/files from a Seagate SATA II 320 GB Hard Drive to a newer Western Digital SATA II 1 TB Hard Drive.
thanks

That error sometimes refers to a read write problem. That could be caused by a controller, too little ram, or a busy cpu.

How bis are the copies?

What does it say in event viewer about it?

There are several ways to find what the problem is. The best is to go into event viewer (type eventvwr in search). Go to the windows log>application tab.

You want to look for critical errors (they have red in the left column ).

When you find them you want to look for critical errors that say app hang, app crash, or anything that relates to the problem.

When you find them please note the event ID, and the source codes and tell us what they are.

Let us know if you need help with any of this.

Ken

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/134720-0x80070057-error-copying-files-hard-drive-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 84.71%

Hi all Seeing this thread being preoccupied today drive, "data" How on relocate separate 2nd internal OS drive? from to with work projects and generally obsessing over the imminent arrival of my first system with dual internal drives I must ask my next really stupid question How do I relocate my data from quot My Documents quot on the GB SSD OS drive on which I assume How to relocate "data" on 2nd internal drive, separate from OS drive? it will arrive from the factory to the other internal data drive a TB spinner All of my previous and current systems had have a single hard drive either a spinner or a SSD but not both So this is new How to relocate "data" on 2nd internal drive, separate from OS drive? for me This will be an OEM box not an upgrade and not a home-built system I assume it will arrive from the factory with quot everything quot on the SSD C and quot nothing quot on the spinner I guess the HDD will be D FWIW the system will have only a single Admin user account Before I get too far down a rabbit hole when it arrives later this week and before I move my quot How to relocate "data" on 2nd internal drive, separate from OS drive? old quot data from the old system to the new one I just need to know how to make sure that I properly locate my data folders documents pictures videos etc on the new system's data HDD rather than on its OS SSD I presume it's not as easy as a mere quot drag and drop quot of the quot My Documents quot folder from C to D right I have to somehow quot point quot Windoze to the new non-default location I know this is a really really stupid question from an old geezer So thanks very much for your patience MM

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/54469-how-relocate-data-2nd-internal-drive-separate-os-drive.html
Relevancy 84.71%

I just got a new Hewlett Packard computer with Windows XP The CD drive is a combo CD reader writer and DVD The main reason I need it is to backup my many documents database programs RootsMagic family history Quicken etc photographs and drawings The pre-installed burning program on the computer is Adaptec s I think Sonic RecordNow which is useless for my needs because of the way it works The HP tech suggested I download DLA to enable me to use quot drag amp drop quot through Windows Explorer but I haven t had much luck with that either What I need is to be able Data "Drag & storage backup to using as..." "Save CD-RW's Drop" or and to use a CD-RW as a giant floppy - to add delete copy edit and move files just as I do on my regular floppies using quot drag amp drop quot through Windows Explorer or quot save as quot What software do Data backup and storage to CD-RW's using "Drag & Drop" or "Save as..." I need for this Please use quot baby-talk quot with me because I don t understand any of the initials terms and technical language I see all over these forums Thanks Dellasha nbsp

A:Data backup and storage to CD-RW's using "Drag & Drop" or "Save as..."

The most versatile program for that is "Nero"
The latest version Nero6 Reloaded is a bit bloated, maybe the NeroMIX will do better for you. Read the specs here: www.nero.com

The part that interests you specifically is InCD.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/data-backup-and-storage-to-cd-rws-using-drag-drop-or-save-as.19692/
Relevancy 84.71%

Hello So a while ago my computer crashed and I wasn't sure what it was so I tried many proper with device" Boot data only "Reboot Select and 1 drive things because I wasn't getting any BIOS beeps so I thought it was the motherboard but long story "Reboot and Select proper Boot device" with only 1 data drive short it's the graphics card so I've replaced that with my old one for now But since I took out so many parts so many times I keep getting the quot Reboot and Select proper Boot device quot error I have a Motherboards - P P LE - ASUS And I've set the SSD to the primary boot I've tried to directly boot it via BIOS but they both still give the same result I've put the Win disk in and done a repair but still "Reboot and Select proper Boot device" with only 1 data drive no change Since my OS is installed "Reboot and Select proper Boot device" with only 1 data drive to my SSD is there a chance it could have corrupted the files or the actual drive when the computer crashed From what I heard SSD's seem to be a bit fragile Any help or recommendations would greatly appreciated Thank you

A:"Reboot and Select proper Boot device" with only 1 data drive

How many times have you tried startup repair ?

It may take 3 attempts.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/336619-reboot-select-proper-boot-device-only-1-data-drive.html
Relevancy 84.71%

Am I kidding myself that using Google Drive free is a good idea for my off-site backup Every once in awhile I notice its system tray icon is quot faded quot meaning that it isn't running probably because I lost the wireless signal on my laptop possibly because my router seems to require resetting every week or so Other than that I've had no surprises And did I mention the price Googling shows failures from both Google Drive and Carbonite so why pay Two weeks ago I had to Google Drive Is backup Dell NOT Data"Safe" reliable? is reformat my C partition and so lost the Is Google Drive reliable? Dell Data"Safe" backup is NOT User data that was in it but I used Ubuntu to copy it onto an external Toshiba hard drive so other than the inconvenience it turned out OK I didn't consider trying to restore from Google Drive because I felt more comfortable dragging folders onto drive C after reformat I wish I HAD used Google Drive to see how restoring ALL the data would go In the process I learned that Dell Data quot Safe quot Backup is FAR from it Took forever to backup no time at all to FAIL TO RESTORE Knowing in advance that this is common--i e that it is NOT SAFE AT ALL--I used Ubuntu to access the folders on drive C and copy to external drive Windows backup quit working the day I installed my Seagate external drive So I wrote my own Java backup program which seems to work well enough But since it's not automatic and since I'm like most people the backup on it when drive C went bye-bye wasn't exactly up-to-date Thank whoever for Ubuntu

A:Is Google Drive reliable? Dell Data"Safe" backup is NOT

Hi
I suppose any online backup is better than none
But it would be best used as a second or third alternative and not as primary
Mostly the download time would be a deal breaker as you found moving folders is much faster
Or restoring from a local hdd with a system image on it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/377157-google-drive-reliable-dell-data-safe-backup-not.html
Relevancy 84.71%

Hi guys Hope you can help this has been driving me nuts for some time now Not quite sure what triggered this issue but I have recently been unable to access play media or music delete modify any files on my internal SATA slave drive B Everything seems to work ok on the internal primary drive C Recent files are held on C then transferred to B for archiving back-up or when C is running low on space Sometimes when trying to access a file or directory on the for RAW drive not available slave ?? is with message drives" Data on "Chkdsk Getting B drive I get an I Getting "Chkdsk is not available for RAW drives" message on slave drive with Data ?? O error but even when this error does not appear I still cannot play or view the mp avi or jpeg I Getting "Chkdsk is not available for RAW drives" message on slave drive with Data ?? read somewhere that perhaps the permissions or User Controls have been messed up I disabled User Account Control in Vista and tried to modify permissions as they were not the same as the directories permissions on the C drive It worked for most files but some are still inaccessible I get the I O error I tried to run a chkdsk on B and get the error quot Chkdsk is not available for RAW drives quot But the drives are both listed as NTFS in the Disk Management System Any thoughts on how to get the disk working again or recover the existing data As it stands I cannot even copy files to C to try and recover them Hope I have provided enough information Thanks Chris nbsp

A:Getting "Chkdsk is not available for RAW drives" message on slave drive with Data ??

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/getting-chkdsk-is-not-available-for-raw-drives-message-on-slave-drive-with-data.835708/
Relevancy 84.28%

Hi,

Fastest way to upload 1.3 TB of data to NAS, "cloud drive"??

I've uploaded about 400 MB to a 3 TB personal cloud & it took several hours with an ethernet connection thru 100mbs dual band router using W Explorer. There has got to be a faster way.

Does anyone know how to upload MB of files faster, more efficiently?
Please advise.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/387131-fastest-way-upload-1-3-tb-data-nas-cloud-drive.html
Relevancy 84.28%

Hola Every1 ! Got a buggy C drive ! So i`d like to reformat or scrape it ! Have a duplicate 98se on D drive . So transfering all data from D drive after C drive is SCRAPED seems like the ultimate BACKUP don`t it ?! Now both these drives are PHYSICALLY seperate/no partitioning here! Ha ! OK heres my question . Y`all have a description or guide how to accomplish this heroic fete of daring do ?!?! Please any help is greatly noted in my memory?! THank you Dean P.S. 98se/ IE6/ C drive is newer fastr/ D drive older slower/ Via mobo/ AMI bios/ fully Updated

A:New "C" drive reformat+transfer duplicate D data?

Whew! If I understand it you want to transfer "all" data which I assume means the directories and program apps from "D" to "C" after formatting C.

No, that won't work because the registry will be looking for "D" not "C" when launching any program or file shortcuts. Now you can do what's called an image of D to C but again you're going to have to do a lot of cleaning up. Did I understand what you wanted to do?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/new-c-drive-reformat-transfer-duplicate-d-data.339845/
Relevancy 84.28%

Is it possible to permanently move my Application Data into my DATA folder which is located on my second (internal) hard drive? This would make backing up my programs so much easier.

Any suggestions would be very welcome!

Michael

(Windows XP Pro)

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/how-to-move-application-data-to-a-second-internal-drive-504685.html
Relevancy 84.28%

Hello I don't know from where but i got some virus in my comp I tried scanning my comp using AVG but it did not find any virus It did find some but they were not removed as AVG was unable to computer How Drive data without i losing format "C" Can in my remove them Now i restarted my comp But my comp won't start After the Windows XP loading bar comes i get a blue screen and it won't go ahead from How Can i format my computer without losing data in "C" Drive there I thought of formatting but realized that i had many important documents on quot C quot Drive I don't want to lose it So i did not format just gave the repair option to repair my Windows OS After repairing it still gets hanged at the windows loading bar So please help me I want the data on quot C quot Drive badly and i can't afford to lose it I have no backup of it whatsoever Please tell me how can i get the data and then i will format it Waiting for some good replies Thanking you

A:How Can i format my computer without losing data in "C" Drive

Pull the hard drive from the computer. Put it on an External USB Enclosure/Adapter. Mount the now external drive to a working computer. Pull the data off that you can't live without. Put old HDD back in computer, boot off of XP CD and Format and install Windows.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/how-can-i-format-my-computer-without-losing-data-in-c-drive-428349.html
Relevancy 84.28%

Hi, I just reformated and installed SP2. I've tried two different thumb drives in two different USB ports, and it always tries to install the driver, and then says installation failed, and "Data Invalid". They are two different brands of USB drives too, different sizes, the only thing they have in common is that they are both thumb drives.

I tried putting the Windows CD in and telling to to reinstall and update driver from removable media, and it still doesn't work Still has "Invalid Data". Any ideas?

A:USB Thumb Drive Driver..."Data Invalid"

What brand of thumb drives?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/usb-thumb-drive-driver-data-invalid.329545/
Relevancy 84.28%

I have a system with 3 drives disk0, disk1, and disk2.
What I'd ultimately like to do is install Windows 7 on disk0 and install Linux on disk1.
Then I want to have disk2 split into 2 partitions(part0, part1) for programs and other misc install files.
However I don't want disk1 and disk2part1 to be visible while using disk0 and disk2part0 and vice versa.
Is there any way to make this possible?
Sorry if it sounds confusing this was the best way I could think of explaining what I'm trying to do.

A:Dual Boot with shared Data "D" drive

Use This just download the Home Edition

Install this on both OS's to hide partitions (but be careful what you are doing)

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/267930-dual-boot-shared-data-d-drive.html
Relevancy 83.42%

I've just updated by Dell T Precision to Win Pro and I'm getting "Not Responding" C: drive data is when One-minute not on a very annoying timeout One-minute "Not Responding" when data is not on C: drive problem I keep all my data files on a separate hard disk D so that it's easier to back them up But Win doesn't seem to like this Many programs go into quot not responding quot mode for about one minute I've timed it when I take almost any action click on a button whatever For instance in Firefox when the download location is set to a folder on the D drive and I try to start downloading a file I get the rotating blue timer icon for one minute then the download starts If I change the download folder to the C drive it works normally This happens on several programs including MS Outlook The whole computer doesn't lock up just that app I can still do things with One-minute "Not Responding" when data is not on C: drive the system and other open programs The good news is that the relatively simple workaround is to move the files to C but the bad news is that I really would like to keep them all on D What I've already tried Clean install I first noticed the problem with the first Win install on this machine after I started up Outlook I eventually found that it worked fine if Outlook pst was on the C drive I did a clean reinstall of Win and loaded Office first and tried Outlook again Same result I later noticed that other Office programs exhibited the same behavior Power Settings I found some people online complaining of a similar problem on their laptops if the power settings were set to anything other than High Performance I've set it there Not change Hard disks I read some people suggesting that problems like this could be a sign of a hard disk failing or bad HD connections It's not the first because it happens on both of my two internal data drives and not the second I opened the box and reset all HD connectors Also this wouldn't explain why the timeout is almost always exactly one minute Multiple active partitions It turns out I had accidentally set one of the data drives and my external HD as active partitions in addition to C which has the OS I made them inactive No change Does anyone have any ideas about what's happening here and how I can fix it Thanks

A:One-minute "Not Responding" when data is not on C: drive

Is D: indexed?

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/111737-one-minute-not-responding-when-data-not-c-drive.html
Relevancy 83.42%

I have 2 drives with the same error message, both have data on them that I must try to recover ASAP. I will post 2 separate threads so as to not confuse the issues even more... This is problem drive #1

FYI:I recently purchased this item to get data from my husbands laptop:
"Rosewill SATA or IDE 3-in-1 to USB2.0 Cable Converter Adapter."

My drive must have failed, as the error message states:
"This disk in drive D is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?"

Is there good free software to help me recover the data or should I purchase something?

A:[SOLVED] Need help with Data Recovery (Drive "D") #1

Is the drive properly detected in Device Manager? Also go to disk management and see what it says (click start, run, then type diskmgmt.msc). Don't format or partition, just read what it says.
There's also the possibility of a corrupt partition table or something like that. Try testdisk. There's a thread on using it here
http://www.techsupportforum.com/f16/...er-194492.html
You want to use it to check if everything is all right. Don't make any changes if what it reports seems inconsistent with what you know about the drive (For example if you know it's a 500GB drive and it reports 200, do you want to apply changes? say no). Also browse around to see if your files are still there and intact.

One last thought I was wondering was - what service pack do you have on your current XP? XP with no service pack will not recognize drives over 128GB (possibly what the drive in the enclosed USB case is). Very unlikely scenario that you have XP without any service pack, but just checking anyway.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-need-help-with-data-recovery-drive-and-quot-d-and-quot-1-a-318248.html
Relevancy 83.42%

Hey all,

My OS hard drive (C: ) just died so I bought a new one and reinstalled Vista Ultimate x64. It was mostly up and running (not all updates downloaded yet) so I reconnected my data drive (B: ) and moved all of my user folders (My Documents, My desktop, etc.) over to that drive by going through FOLDER/PROPERTIES/MOVE. Soon, I had them all reassigned and working.

Then my B: drive fried and died. Not a very good week for me. Anyway, now all of those folders are pointing to a location that no longer exists. I get the error "B:/xxx/My Documents points to a location that is unavailable..."

Now when I go into my user folder, there are no folders. I cannot reassign the drives because they are not there. Can anyone help me recreate these user folders?

Thanks in advance.

KT

A:Lost Data Drive - and all of "My" folders

Follow this tutorial Personal User Folder - Restore Missing Folder

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/246660-lost-data-drive-all-my-folders.html
Relevancy 83.42%

I have a WD External SATA 1TB Hard Drive that has ~700 GB of family memories/movies/documents/etc and it is now connected to Windows 8.

The original housing it came in was unsurprisingly cheap and the connection piece broke. I re soldered it on and the connection was made but the drive threw nothing but errors. I figured I messed it up so bought an external case and assembled it. Now however, the drive does not show up under my computer but does in Disk Management.

Disk Management claims that the HD has the full TB unallocated and not initialized. I don't want to initialize it because I don't want to lose the information I have on it. Any idea on how to get this working?

I have downloaded and used the Data Lifeguard available at WD and the External has passed the Quick Test so drivers are all there and working.

Thanks

A:WD External Drive "not initialized" but has data on it?

Umm, I would try first connecting it back to whatever PC version you were using before (Assuming Windows 7) and seeing whats up.

If that does not work, try messing with the connection that you re-soldered and making sure its all done fully correctly, something may have gotten crossed.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wd-external-drive-not-initialized-but-has-data-on-it.193090/
Relevancy 82.99%

Sorry if this is the wrong forum.

Yesterday my external hard drive was working fine. Today I open it and there's a new folder called Pfiles...I am not running linux...and a tmp file. I delete the tmp file and try to delete Pfiles but it won't delete. Weird. So I open one of the folders and see that it's now empty, as are almost all of my other folders and subfolders. My daughter's folder however has her movies on the main subfolder, but subfolders in this folder are also empty.

The hard drive is showing half full...exactly what it should assuming I could access all the files. So what can I do? I've enclosed a screenshot of the Disk Management screen for this drive. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

A:Help with external hard drive. Files "missing" but still taking up space on the drive

Hi djfl,

External Hard-drives come in different types, some of them are, External storage devices and Automatic back-up devices.

If it is an automatic back-up device then data might be backed-up on the External Hard?drive without user intervention.

If it is an External storage device the files might be hidden. This could be the reason why the external Harddrive is showing half full. We can check if the files are hidden, please use the following link for detailed instructions to unhide folders: Hidden Files and Folders Option - Add or Remove

Please revert back for clarification.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/298528-help-external-hard-drive-files-missing-but-still-taking-up-space-drive.html
Relevancy 82.99%

The hard drive is made by a company called "BSE Data Storage" 40 gigabyte IDE. When i try to boot to it, it says S.M.A.R.T Command Failed.

Not sure on jumper settings but when i boot to slave (guessing with jumpers although pretty sure it is correct), windows detects the drive in the device manager but no where else.

I want to extract a few imporant files off the hard drive.

The hard drive makes no ticking or scratching noises, other than the normal noise it should make.

This occured when i was trying to install a printer driver, other than that computer ran fine.

Im running Win XP on the computer and the bad hard drive.

Please Help.

Thanks,
Rio

Relevancy 82.99%

Hi.

Earlier today I clean re-installed Windows XP Professional. I backed up alot of useful data on my second hard drive, and proceeded with the reinstallation. Everything went smooth, but when I double clicked my second hard drive in My Computer, it gave the message:

"The disk in drive D is not formatted.

Do you want to format it now?"

If i proceed with this, all the data on that hard drive will be wiped out.

Is there any possible way to recover the date from the hard drive?

Relevancy 82.99%

On my system I have a 120gig and a 40 gig hard drives. (I run dual boot with 98se and XP pro). I was reinstalling both operating systems and my 40gig (which is my documents drive) got messed up by win 98 setup. . I formatted the 120gig and ran win 98 setup. When win 98 setup ran scandisk it found errors on drive E (my documents drive) and I accidently hit "fix the errors" instead of "don't fix the errors" which now makes it show up as unformatted. Is there anything I can do to recover the data?
Thanks.

A:Help!! Must recover data on hard drive

Do a "recovery" search on the forum, this subject came up recently.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-must-recover-data-on-hard-drive.10815/
Relevancy 82.99%

hello,
i recently formatted my 250gb maxtor slave hard drive by accident. It was formatted using the NTFS file system. It had a lot of important data on it and i would like to retrieve it. Does anyone know of a program that would be able to find and recover my files for free? I have tried PC Inspector file recovery and it doesn't recognise my 250 gb hard drive. I looked for the files using Virtuallab, which found the files alright, although, you have to pay to get your files back... which i don't wanna do .
So if any of you know a program I could download for free that would work, I would greatly appreciate it. Anyways....cheers:
gaz.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/recover-hard-drive-data.178757/
Relevancy 82.99%

OK hard I my recover Can data from my drive? here s my setup Athlon XP MB DDR RAM GB Primary IDE master - C with OS installed GB Primary IDE slave - D no OS - data and other stuff CD CDRW Secondary IDE Win SE Everything has been working fine for about a year now and then suddenly this weekend I hit some problems While my computer was sitting Can I recover my data from my hard drive? idle I noticed it suddenly went to a blue screen that said something like quot error writing to C drive quot So I rebooted and then the BIOS Phoenix started hanging on the quot Detecting IDE drives quot POST message It hung for about seconds and then couldn t find either drive on the Primary IDE channel So my first impression was that the master drive was at fault Through some trial and error testing I found that actually the slave drive GB is Can I recover my data from my hard drive? the problem The master works fine without the slave attached but as soon as the slave is there it freezes on the POST message Sometimes the GB drive is detected by the BIOS sometimes not It seems to be fairly random when the BIOS can detect it Even when it is detected by the BIOS Windows DOS cannot read from the drive gets a quot cannot read from media quot or some such error I ve narrowed it down to definitely being the slave drive because the same symptoms show up when it is plugged into a different system altogether As a sanity check I have also tried different IDE channels different cables different jumper settings and making the drive settings in the BIOS manually rather than auto-detect - all with the same results So there s obviously some issues with the drive Now the big question is can I get the data on the drive off of it somehow More specifically can I or someone else do that without voiding the warranty and without costing me several hundred dollars I have a lot of game saves and other data on the drive which would be a real pain in the butt to lose but not enough to pay that much cash out Or is there something else that I might be missing Is there some kind of boot disk tool that could maybe access the drive when Windows cannot on the occasions when BIOS can detect the drive Thanks in advance for any help you can provide nbsp

Relevancy 82.99%

Hi.

Earlier today I clean re-installed Windows XP Professional. I backed up alot of useful data on my second hard drive, and proceeded with the reinstallation. Everything went smooth, but when I double clicked my second hard drive in My Computer, it gave the message:

"The disk in drive D is not formatted.

Do you want to format it now?"

If i proceed with this, all the data on that hard drive will be wiped out.

Is there any possible way to recover the date from the hard drive?

A:Is there any way to recover data from this hard drive?!

what File System are you using? ie: Fat32 or NTFS?
Make sure that both hd's have the same file system, otherwise you're going to have to reinstall on the same fs.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-there-any-way-to-recover-data-from-this-hard-drive.2662/
Relevancy 82.99%

Ok, so I got a new asus P8z68-V pro motherboard.
Im re-using my current 750gb SATA drive.
I plugged it into the sata port, and start the computer.

When it starts it says "no hard drive is detected!"

I go into the bios, and on the bottom it has a disk drive, and a SATA drive.
It recognizes that the sata drive is there, but when i go to start up it says no hard drive is detected.

I have tried a few different sata ports and it is the exact same thing.
Any idea how to fix it, i am getting very frustrated at this point
thanks a lot

A:"hard drive not detected" but the hard drive shows in bios

is it your windows drive, or an extra storage drive?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/184509-hard-drive-not-detected-but-hard-drive-shows-bios.html
Relevancy 82.56%

Using a Compaq Presario about 5-7 years old. Just the other day the hard drive started clunking and we are getting mesages that the c drive is unaccessible. The boss is telling me to reformat at which point and time I tell him the hard drive is shot and it's time to buy a new hard drive or computer. Is my hard drive really dead?

Relevancy 82.13%

I sometimes switch hard drives between computers As far as I know this is not a drive with an OS on it-- just data files I plugged it in after it was unused in another computer for quite a while The drive shows up in Device Manager has a drive letter assigned and is listed in the BIOS When I click on it in Drive disk "The is in not formatted" Files Hard Gone D drive Solved: My Computer to see the contents I get the following message quot The disk in drive D is not formatted quot quot Do you want to format it now quot When I look at the Disk Properties page for that drive--the file system says RAW Before I try a program to recover files from it--I seem to remember that it could be a Master Boot Record MBR problem on the drive The files should still be there--just the locators and pointers to files and folders directories are missing--such as drive tables Is there a Solved: Hard Drive Files Gone "The disk in drive D is not formatted" safe way to get Windows to recognize the drive contents by using a DOS command to rewrite MBR---such as FIXMBR without destroying the files on drive What DOS commands and switches should I use I have a Windows XP CD or I can use a floppy disk Is it better to try the time consuming file recovery process Solved: Hard Drive Files Gone "The disk in drive D is not formatted" first before attempting to write to the drive using DOS FIXMBR commands I will start a scan now to see if there is any recoverable data while I wait for any helpful info and replies Thank you in advance for any help that anyone can provide I am using Windows XP SP and drive is a Samsung hard drive showing Solved: Hard Drive Files Gone "The disk in drive D is not formatted" as GB RAW I ll keep checking this post frequently tonight--while I work on issue nbsp

A:Solved: Hard Drive Files Gone "The disk in drive D is not formatted"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-hard-drive-files-gone-the-disk-in-drive-d-is-not-formatted.807114/
Relevancy 82.13%

I have two Seagate 7200 hard drives than are no longer recognized by the desktop or by my laptop via a usb/EDI/SATA adapter. These were my backup drives and have all my photos, itunes, and doc files. Rather than speed $1,000 to have the files extracted by a recovery firm I wondered if its possible to remove the storage media from one drive and install it in a new drive box. Say buy a $60 internal drive open it up and remove the disks, take the disks out of the non-working drive and install it in the new internal drive. Is that even possible? Would the circuitry on the new drive even recognize the replacement disks? Would the drives need to be the same GB? Inquiring minds want to know!

A:Can I rebuild a hard drive to recover data

I've heard of people buying the exact same drive (needs to be exact so the PCB is the same) and then swapping those out. I've never heard of people removing the platters and putting in a new drive - I think that would be highly risky if not impossible. Try to find a working drive with the same PCB on ebay, then swap the boards.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-i-rebuild-a-hard-drive-to-recover-data.184927/
Relevancy 82.13%

Okay not really very good at this but my laptop stopped working so I took hd out and connected it to anotherlaptop through usb lead it appears in my disk management (although it shows up grey instead of black or blue if that makes sense to anyone) but it wont show in my computer I have a load od family photos on this drive and would really love some help and will send out good karma to all who try to help me many thanks in advance

A:Trying to recover data from crashed hard drive

Hi techmichellenot. When you say it stopped working,is there anything on the screen when you power up, or any indication that the system passed it's POST procedure (Power On Self Test), usually indicated by a beep before Windows itself tries to boot up?. Any error messages seen?. Sounds like you put the drive in an external case that can connect via USB. If there is indeed a problem with the disk drive and it's not a physical problem with the drive (maybe a corrupted Windows boot file,etc),your system may have a Recovery procedure that will reinstall your OS without erasing your data files (called a non destructive OS reinstall) as opposed to a destructive which erases everything and reinstalls the OS. I would check your documentation to see if your laptop has such a procedure.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/trying-to-recover-data-from-crashed-hard-drive.189487/
Relevancy 82.13%

I have a IBM G-IDE hard drive that just died It s making spinning noises After rebooting the computer twice the noise will not go away and now the hard recover Hard to data Need drive: Noisy drive does not come up in the system BIOS All the cables are fine - I tried the HD in the freezer trick hour still nothing - I did a swap of master slave - I tried it on different and other systems - I ve lightly tapped it a few Noisy Hard drive: Need to recover data times I was wondering is there anything else I can try Does the freezer trick have to be longer like hours as someone suggested can that length of time in the freezer cause ANY or even MORE damage How many times can a hard drive be put into a freeze Does Noisy Hard drive: Need to recover data the freezer trick only work if the hard drive is still recognized in the BIOS Can anyone help or suggest any other safe method for accessing Noisy Hard drive: Need to recover data or recovering my data I m not skilled with opening hard drives up swapping parts so that s out to I d like to recover as much data as possible HELP PLEASE nbsp

A:Noisy Hard drive: Need to recover data

Welcome to TechSpot

Have you tried the IBM utilities in the Sticky at the top of this forum?

Surf to http://www.tufftest.com/ and check out their utils. They also have a TuffTest-Lite for free to try. It creates a bootup-floppy which will then disect your system and its components.

Do a search in this forum on IBM Deskstar (or rather Deathstar), to see what others have come up with.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/noisy-hard-drive-need-to-recover-data.17293/
Relevancy 82.13%

Can somebody please help My C is a WD BB Western Digital gb I ran Disk Defragmentation and when i finished I ran Scan Disk Scan Disk wanted me to restart first With the Restart it never loaded my XP instead I recieved a message to start up in quot Safe Mode quot or quot Safe Mode With Networklng quot or quot Safe Mode with Comand Prompt quot or quot Solved: data on Recover drive hard Normal Windows quot No matter which one I choose my Computer starts up up to the black screen with the XP logo and blue bar showing progress The next moment it just restarts again I think my partition table is Solved: Recover data on hard drive broken I ve tried fixing the problem by booting with XP cd and restore fix with no success It wants me to format the HDD and re-install XP There is no software tool from hard drive manufacturer that I can find I ve even made a old gb HDD as my C master and installed XP on it then connected my gb HDD as slave to try and recover the data My gb is displayed in explorer and Disk Management but it is not accessable How can I retrieve save my data from that HDD Or how can I fix my HDD I will apreciate all help Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 82.13%

Hello Guru's,
My systemwas suddenly crashed and I askedone of my company person to helpme in recovering the data on my hard drive and he said that his system is not registering(recognising) my hard drive due to which is he unable to restore the data. he suggested to contact one strore who will chargefrom 2000 to 5000 $ and I don't have that much money to recover my valueble data.
Please help me by telling how to recover my data on my hard drive.

Thanks in Advance.

Regards
Bobby

A:Want to recover data from crashed hard drive

Hi Bobby and welcome to TSG.

If the hard drive is not getting detected by the computer BIOS at power up, then it is probably beyond any kind of inexpensive do-it-yourself solution.

If the hard drive is detected by the BIOS but Windows cannot access it, you may have a possibility of recovering all or some of its contents. You connect it as a slave drive in a working computer and then use commercial recovery software. Some recovery software that you can download has a free test mode that will test the drive's contents and gives you a report of what it can recover. You then have to pay for the program before it will actually recover the data.

You say your data is valuable but do not want to spend $2000 to get it back. How much are you willing to spend?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/want-to-recover-data-from-crashed-hard-drive.755003/
Relevancy 82.13%

Hi all,
Where/What software is the best for recovering data from a crashed hard drive. The drive that crashed was running Win98, but I've got WinXP machines that I can slap that drive into. I don't know much more than that because I have not had a chance to get my hands on the crashed drive, but the data is super important.

Thanks In Advance!!

Jason

A:Recover Crashed Hard Drive Data???

Well it depends on what went wrong with it. IF the drive is totally dead - ie does not spin up then there is no software to recover the data - you would need to replace the circuit board or electronics in the drive. If the heads are continually crashing then the same thing goes. If it just has bad sectors or Windows is messed up then you may be able to just copy the data off or use Spinrite.

There are companies that recover data from dead hard drives but they can charge from several hundred to several thousand for recover. This is where backing up your data comes in - it avoids these problems.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/recover-crashed-hard-drive-data.186807/
Relevancy 82.13%

Hello,

I had a problem last week with my system, which I posted in this forum. Turns out one of my hard drives was the culprit.
I have (had) two internal hard drives on my desktop. I removed the faulty one, and my system now runs properly, but I need the data off of that faulty drive. (I need the data added since the last back up.)

I purchased a SATA to USB adapter kit, but of course it isn't that easy. The drive is not showing up in My Computer.

When I go to Disk Management, it is there... but I can't click on it. (Listed as Disk 1 Removable O: in screen cap)

Can anyone tell me (dumb it down, please) how I can recover my data?

(the drive in question is a Seagate that was partitioned into sections.)

thanks in advance

A:how do I recover data from a non responsive hard drive?

Here's the rule of thumb I've seen.

If the partition is seen and appears to be intact, try to recover the files with a file recovery application such as Recuva.

If the partition is not seen and appears to be gone or damaged, try to recover the partition first using a tool such as Partition Wizard. If that is successful, the files may then be visible and not need recovery.

I'm no expert on either application.

In any case, don't write anything new to the drive.

Hook the drive up in the normal manner and determine if you can see the partition. If no, try Partition Wizard. If yes, try Recuva.

Based on your picture, it looks like the partition is not seen.

You say this is an internal drive, so I'm not clear why you are using that cable instead of just connecting the drive internally.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/334762-how-do-i-recover-data-non-responsive-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 82.13%

I am trying to recover data from a laptop hard drive I have removed from a clients Vista based laptop. The system board appears to be bad, but the hard disk appears to be ok. I am using a SATA to USB adapter to look at the hardrive using another computer (running Windows 7) .
There is an icon with a lock on a couple of the directories. One being the Documents and Settings directory. I can't see files in the directory. I have taken ownership of the directory and I see a subdirectory with my name , as if a subdirectory was created because my computer took ownership , but I don't see other files.
How do I recover the data ?
Thanks

A:Reading Hard Drive to recover data

Welcome
From reading your post, it appears that you are trying to recover the stuff that is on the HD, documents, pics etc.
I think you may want to start with this software. Download and look around. Your stuff may be able to be viewed.
I think going into doucments and settings will lead to a dead end.
Documents and Settings in Vista and Windows 7 - 4sysops

http://www.vistax64.com/crashes-debugging/288459-reading-hard-drive-recover-data.html
Relevancy 82.13%

I am trying to help someone over the phone who has some technical ability with his 2 WIN98 (???SE) PC's. Unfortunately I have not used WIN 98 for a
very long time. His problem is that his Logitech PS2 mouse has stopped working on PC #1. It works on other machines and it appears that the computer's PS2 connector is damaged. Both machines have a single hard drive
(IDE interface).
He needs to recover valuable data on PC #1. (Of cource he has no backup!!). Can he simply remove the hard drive from PC#1 and put it in PC#2 (configured as a slave on IDE1 or a master on IDE2)?
Are there any problems with this solution?
thanks....ralph

A:Move hard drive to recover data

No problems.. If there are multiple partitions on the system drive, then the drive letters may get shifted around, but otherwise everything should Just Work.

Mind you, he could just attach a serial mouse to the broken system..

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/move-hard-drive-to-recover-data.62699/
Relevancy 82.13%

I accidentally reformatted the wrong hard drive, I lost all my information on D. I was wondering if there was any solid method of recovering some if not all of the lost files on that drive. Thank you.

Relevancy 82.13%

Hi Help: recover and hard data. Repair drive I m from latin america so excuse my bad writing I ll try to be the clearest I can It s about a Hitachi SATA TB hard drive What happened was that I had my CPU laid on one side and opened I had the hard Help: Repair hard drive and recover data. drive laid over the DVD unit Help: Repair hard drive and recover data. compartment because I was trying to fix up another hard drives and had to be continuously connecting and disconnecting Then I accidentally hit the CPU with my foot lifting it a little and getting hit against the floor the PC turned off then I turned it on again but Windows did not started So I Help: Repair hard drive and recover data. set BIOS to start with another hard drive that has Windows too and let the HItachi connected Like this Windows initialized very slow Then I check on quot My PC quot and Windows did not recognized de Hitachi hd I rebooted and checked in BIOS and there the Hitachi was not recognized neither I tried in another PC and with other cables and nothing changes P D -When the PC is turn on the Hitachi HD feels to start but past seconds it stops Sometimes when the PC turns on the Hitcachi starts to beep intermittently with a seconds interval it is not a mechanic sound and after every beep it s heard a little crack from the HD and the HD remains like this until I turn off the PC Remeber this happens SOMETIMES Please guys help me so I could repair the drive and recover my data Cheers and thanx nbsp

A:Help: Repair hard drive and recover data.

It sounds like you're done with that drive. I guess you will need to use your backups.

Recovery services can almost certainly get the data back, but they can cost into the $1000's.

The hard drive in your computer is in one of two states right now. It's
either going to fail or it already failed. Hard drives are inherently
fragile things with no built in redundancy.
-Chris PirilloClick to expand...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-repair-hard-drive-and-recover-data.1026212/
Relevancy 82.13%

Hello,

The USB of my external hard drive was broken and I changed to a new casing. However, it did not show up in my computer anymore and did not show up in disk management. I read forums and assigned it a drive name in disk management and clicked new partition. The drive was now visible in my computer but it keeps asking to be formatted. I do not want to erase my old data and so did not format.I want access to this data back again. My hard drive is fine and makes no noises. Someone please help.

Thanks,
Tulika

A:Recover data from external hard drive?

No guarantee that you'll be able to recover your data. Depends on the size of the HDD, it might take a while for the programs to scan it. Be patient.

Found some posts that might be of help. Good luck.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/252267-45-recovery-data-hard-disk-deleting-partition

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/255089-32-partitions-overwritten-recover-previous-data

http://www.partitionguru.com/step/recover-partition-using-partitionGuru.php

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/recover-data-from-external-hard-drive.167375/
Relevancy 82.13%

On My XP MCE I wanted to print an interesting file and started the CTRL and P When it was taking a very long time to load the data I realized there would be a multitude of pages to print and the only way I could interrupt the process was to power off Upon reboot it kept cycling offering a screen with choices -- Safe Last known normal etc It did not matter which I selected it would cycle and return to that screen Giving up I replaced the HD and now I would like to recover the data I have the failed drive in an external case and when I try to access it I get quot Corrupted file -- cannot access quot The HD with the corrupted file is a WD SATA G Is there software that will allow me to gain access to the data I have the files backed up on another drive but the last back up was two months ago Thank you for considering my question nbsp

Relevancy 82.13%

Help!!!!!!!

This evening I did a very stupid thing. When I plugged in my external hard drive, I got a message saying that I needed to reformat it. Without thinking, I clicked yes and allowed the darn computer to start erasing my data. As soon as I realized what I had idiotically done, I had another lapse of judgment and unplugged the external hard drive in the middle of the process.

Now I have a hard drive that is still 80% full and no way of reaching the data… Anytime I try to open the drive, I get a message saying it’s inaccessible.

Is there any way for me to recover some of the data still on the drive????

Any advice y'all could give would be muchly appreciated.
Thanks!!

Relevancy 82.13%

I recently had my laptop motherboard die and need to recover data from the hard drive. The laptop hard drive had windows 7 installed on it. I would like to hook this drive up to my desktop, which has windows XP, and run the laptop drive as a slave. The laptop also has security passwords set so I will need to take control of the drive in order to access any files. Will this work?

I've done this process several times where both drives were running XP and I had no problems but I'm a little concerned it may not work since my primary drive (desktop with XP) is the older of the two operating systems.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

A:Recover data from hard drive (win 7) using desktop with XP?

Hi speedracer993,
Welcome to Seven Forums.

There should be no issues in slaving the drive in an XP machine, you will then be able to access your data.
What do you mean by "The laptop also has security passwords set"??

Regards,
JDobbsy1987

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/163413-recover-data-hard-drive-win-7-using-desktop-xp.html
Relevancy 82.13%

Hi, I suppose you get this all the time but I have searched the internet and have only found one method of recovery.

Basically A virus has destroyed my operating system and I need a method of getting the data my laptop's hard drive. I have tried to install a new operating system using Ubuntu however once trying to install it says that there is not enough room on the hard drive which is understandable as it was pretty much full and when I installed ubuntu onto a USB stick It loaded through however I don't know how to access the original hard drive data when it loads through.

I wanted to know whether if there was an external method of taking the data off using another computer. The laptop is a Satellite A210 - 1C0.

Any Information would be great. Thanks.

Relevancy 82.13%

Is it possible to recover data from corrupted hard-drive?

A:Recover Data From Corrupt Hard-Drive

Sometimes, yes

Depends on the corruption cause as to mechanical or electronic.
If the data is critical, then there are data recovery companies specialising in that field, but they are not cheap. Think in figures around $1,000 or so

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/recover-data-from-corrupt-hard-drive.768232/
Relevancy 82.13%

Ok so my computer has hard drives First one is the C and is used for windows program files ect My second data Recover on unpartitioned hard drive hard drive i use to store my music pictures videos documents etc So i had both hard drives in there running fine and i decided i would reformat the C drive Recover data on unpartitioned hard drive and put windows on it again figuring all the data on the second drive would be fine I was using XP and i put XP on it again but when everything was installed it said that my second hard drive was unformatted So ive tried a bunch of programs to recover the data with no luck I can see that all the data is physicly still on the drive i just think that the partition information or whatever got screwed up somehow My friend told me that i would most likely need to recover the data to another hard drive which shouldnt be too much of a problem i just cant figure out how to do this i am looking at about gigs worth of data i need to recover and the only program i was able to find that would recover the data charged something like a gig and theres no way im paying for my hardrive back If anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated Thanks nbsp

A:Recover data on unpartitioned hard drive

"I can see that all the data is physicly still on the drive"
How do you see this?

Try some partition recovery programs:

Partition Repair:

<--(Bootable floppy image)
http://users.adelphia.net/~abraxas/dl/partfix.exe
http://www.cgsecurity.org/index.html?testdisk.html
http://mirror.href.com/thestarman/testdisk.html

or file recovery:

http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/welcome.htm
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/restoration.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/recover-data-on-unpartitioned-hard-drive.356471/
Relevancy 81.7%

In Windows XP, fully updated, I have several folders full of mp3's and want to see the bit rate and duration. I right click on a column heading and select "Bit rate". I then click on "More..." so I can get to "Duration", and I select that one too.

But all the figures in the "Duration" column appear to be in "hours" and "minutes", so I see "00:04" or "00:03", but what I want is "minutes" and "seconds".

Any thoughts as to how to change this?

A:Solved: Windows Explorer "Duration" Column - no "Seconds", just "Hours" and "Minutes"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-explorer-duration-column-no-seconds-just-hours-and-minutes.693037/
Relevancy 81.7%

Hi,

I ran the trial version of "Recover My Files v4.2.4" which found 22598 files on my hard drive supposedly deleted.

I want to Recover all of these files so that I can Shred them properly.

When I recover does anyone know how to recover to a directory I chose, as i do not want the files recovering to their original location?

I had a look through the "Options" menu's but could not see anything obvious, like

Recover files to: A) Original location B) Select Directory_________, etc etc.

Appreciated, S.

A:"Recover My Files" then "Shred" ...

If you are only interested in making sure that previously deleted files can not be recovered, there are program available, like this one, that may better suit your needs. Using a recovery program to save the recovered files to a new location may still leave some of the files as-is at their original location.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/recover-my-files-then-shred.887480/