Windows Support Forum

Solved: Hard Drive Failing.... Must Save... Data

Q: Solved: Hard Drive Failing.... Must Save... Data

Anyways, I posted a while back about my click of death signaling my hard drive failing. Well, it finally crashed, and i haven't been able to use it for a month, until for some reason, today, it my laptop began to work. Point:

1) Bought new HD to replace failing one, I first am wondering how i can transfer my XP? For some reason, can't find anywhere to make a CD, (bootable diskette can be found everywhere) to boot and install XP. I do have an Operating Recovery CD Windows XP SP1 that came with my old destop, will this work?

2) I can back up all the data, but does that include drivers back up? For example, does this include software already installed, and will automatically work on the other hard drive (like a copy paste action?)

Basically replacing hard drive, any tips on the whole process would be great, Thanks a bunch.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Solved: Hard Drive Failing.... Must Save... Data

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 108.79%

I ve got a year old Western Digital GB mb cache IDE hard drive that s failing There s no O S on it - it s my slave drive in a Win K Server I have it partioned into sections I m never really on that server much but I map to it from my XP PC amp my RedHat PC It started acting really slow and doing strang things so after several scan disks and reboots on purpose and BSOD s it now gets the following on startup quot Sec Master Hard Disk S M A R T Status BAD Backup and Replace Press F Hard save failing... Drive to the how data? to continue quot It ll boot up into the OS and sometimes I can access parts of it Hard Drive failing... how to save the data? and sometimes it doesn t even show up Also every once in a while it ll say it was unplugged or removed - that message that you get when you unplug a USB device I had tons of stuff on that drive Most I have backed up somewhere or I can get off CD or whatever But I kept all the pictures I ve ever taken with my digital cameras in the past several years I d like to get those back When I try to access the drive the quot pictures quot folder does not even show up Others do and I can access them sometimes That one never does Is this drive dieing and past repair or is there something I can do to get the data off it It s formated NTFS I tried a several DOS based floppys that had NTFS support on them This was back when I could see the quot pictures quot folder I was only able to copy a couple pics and then it crashed and the scan disk on bootup said I had bad sectors or unreadable sections or something like that - I can t remember exactly what it said Any help would be appreciated Cory nbsp

Relevancy 86.43%

About weeks ago windows started complaining my hard drive was failing I turned off the computer bought a new TB drive installed the drive couldn't boot into windows so got a Windows install disk Installed to the new drive spent two days installing updates and having windows tell me that the hard drive was failing I went from Vista to Win pro I have made back ups of the old drive and copied all the documents On boot the computer pauses until I acknowledge the failing drive f to continue Then when I get into Windows it warns me about the failing drive What I want to know is now that I've backed up or copied all the data can I save the drive Is there something I could run to reset it I read another thread and got the SMART data see below I ran the fast off line scan and it said that it completed with out errors Can I save this hard drive or should I just pull it and enjoy my new rare earth magnets Thanks

A:Windows says my hard drive is failing: Can I save it?

Seasons Greetings
Do not use that drive to store and important documents, it will fail. You may be able to postpone the inevitable by performing a scan disc. In step 4 check both boxes
Good luck
Disk Check

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/356321-windows-says-my-hard-drive-failing-can-i-save.html
Relevancy 84.28%

I just came back from a trip data me from drive hard failing get Help and my laptop suddenly took ten minutes to boot and then starting Help me get data from failing hard drive acting very very slow I fear I may have dropped laptop and damaged harddrive I also found that the all data partition part of my GB hard drive became inaccessible to me Explorer would freeze up and crash when I tried to access my data partition My Data partition has GB of data I want to retrieve I tried putting the WD scorpio blue drive in a hard drive enclosure but the GB partition partition says location is not accessible the peramiter is incorrect A microsoft windows popped up saying I need to format the drive before I can use it I clicked ok but then quickly thought better of it and turned off computer afraid it would erase my partition I turned my PC back on and opened disk management from manage my computer and I see my data partition listed as healthy GB logical volume but it's file system says RAW instead of ntfs Is this right Disk properties would not do error check it said windows can't access the disk I also tried reinstalling windows on the primary non data partition of the GB drive but each screen was taking ten minutes to load and the install wouldn't take Anyone know warranty options on this drive I bought this WD GB drive used from ebay about months ago

A:Help me get data from failing hard drive

Welcome
This may save your documents
Most warranties do not cover dropped computers, unless you purchased the special warranty that covers accidents.
PC Inspector FILE RECOVERY

There is no way of telling how software will react on a damaged hard drive etc.
Use hard drive as little as possible until recovery
As a last resort when the hard drive is dead and you did not get your doucments.
Take a baggie, put drive in baggie. Put baggie in freezer over night then try to get the documents.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/124432-help-me-get-data-failing-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 83.42%

I ve got an internal Seagate hard drive which is not Saving hard drive failing data from in such great health It first showed some symptoms when in my Sony laptop see http answers Saving data from failing hard drive microsoft com en-us af-b - b -b - fc dce tab AllReplies I was able to retrieve some files using Unstoppable Copier but this program kept stopping when encountering a bad file or sector I removed the HD and installed it via the internal SATA to my home computer and began copying files But whenever it encounters a bad file I m trying to transfer it slows down and I have to reboot And about of the time after I reboot the suspect HD isn t detected in My Computer I d like to save all the good data - and have a list of the files which are bad or won t copy But with the computer constantly needing rebooting this is becoming a very frustrating tedious process Does anyone have any ideas of how I could easily save all the data without having all these interruptions Thanks in advance for any help nbsp

Relevancy 83.42%

Hi all, first post.
I have a HP pavilion dv7 laptop that recently died, but comp tech says hard drive should still be good. HPs black screen of death is what happened...I'm past trying to fix it, and bought a new ASUS laptop.
I removed the hard drive from the HP, hooked up the sata cable n power supply a d tgen into the USB port. When I do this, it immediately displays an error message "unknown address" and I cannot get into the hard drive. I'm lost now and can't figure out what to do. Driver is up to date, did a few things that I found online like updating driver, disable/enable through devmgmt, n some others....
The hard drive I removed from the HP was running Windows 7 and my new ASUS is running Windows 10.
HELP!!

Ben

A:Hard drive data recovery failing

Hey, Ben! What exactly do you have this hard drive plugged into? I'm a bit confused on that part. Is it an external enclosure or a dock? Or something else? The new laptop is displaying the message about "unknown address?" Is it a particular software that you're running showing that?

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/hard-drive-data-recovery-failing-277684/
Relevancy 83.42%

Hello,
I have a failing hard drive but I can still access it when it is connected as an external USB drive (used to be the primary boot drive in a laptop) I want to copy as much of the data as possible from the "user" folder and sub folders. I select the folders I want to copy but the process fails with out any errors. Copying files sees to work but it would take a long time to rebuild the folder structure. Any ideas how to accomplish this and/or why copying folders fails (with not error messages)? Thanks!

A:Data recovery from failing hard drive

Try running a Disk Check

If this fails sometimes what will work is How to Check File System? Partition Wizard Video Help.. I'd also run Video help on how to perform partition surface test with Partition Wizard..

If you can't copy out the files via Explorer then try Copy & Paste - in Windows Recovery Console to another HD or flash stick.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/298281-data-recovery-failing-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 80.84%

I am new to posting on the site and I have searched for this issue but come up blank Here is my problem I am attempting to recover data to Accessing hard drive data recover on a secure failing folders from Accessing secure folders to recover data on a failing hard drive a hard drive that is failing - no partition found I have been able to scan and mount the partition NTFS and I have recovered the public folders the issue is with the other two user folders I see they are write protected I am unable to remove the write protection or grant my self even read access to the folders I have mounted them as I said and made an image of the partition which is what I am working on but of course the two folders are not copying to the image as I do not have permission to access them The Drive is an Gig partitioned and formatted NTFS with Windows XP I have tried a rescue CD in the system with no luck and now I have the drive in a an external dock on a different system running Win I am using my Admin Acct This seems to be an issue like the Ransome ware infections where users lose access to their data any suggestions welcome and greatly appreciated Mike Ears Hopin P

A:Accessing secure folders to recover data on a failing hard drive

You sure it's not just a permission issue? Try How to take ownership of a file or a folder in Windows XP.  7 is pretty much the same. Just takes a lot more clicks.

Oh, and in the future, backup your data to a second physical disk or the cloud. This will avoid the inevitable.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/503184/accessing-secure-folders-to-recover-data-on-a-failing-hard-drive/
Relevancy 79.98%

Hi
I have just bought a new pc, as my old one COMPLETLEY died and i have managed to save the old hard drive.

is it possible to install the new hard drive on my new system with out having to format it using disk management so i can use all the data that is on old drive.

I have no issue installing drive etc, just wanting to know how i can save the data on old drive.

Thanks in advance for responses.

James
Australia

A:Save Data from old hard drive on New computer

Just connect the drive (mind you, the old hard drive should become after the one currently installed or Windows will be very upset). All your data will be there.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/save-data-from-old-hard-drive-on-new-computer.51641/
Relevancy 79.98%

my h/p shows operating system not found. i'm running xp home but cannot repair. a friend made the hdrive a slave and put xp on a different hdrive, but no luck in transferring files or even viewing bad hdrive. it did show up in "my computer" though but unable to do anything with it.

question? is there a online program that can trouble shoot or fix sectors on a hdrive as its running in the slave position. i was told my sectors are bad.

i'd really like to get photo's off the drive before having to reformat.

thanks for any help 727scott

A:Sys Crash, Trying To Save Hard Drive Data

Try running chkdsk on the drive: chkdsk X: /f
Replace the X with the letter of the drive.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/54426/sys-crash-trying-to-save-hard-drive-data/
Relevancy 79.98%

Hi folks hopefully someone out there can help me with this as I rather stupidly didn t make backups for quite a lot of data Here is the story About a week ago my PC randomly blue screened I didn t make a note of the error message which was another of my many mistakes I tried rebooting and it just hung on the Windows splash screen tried booting to safe mode and the same thing happened tried booting to last known data I can drive? hard chance Any save from this old some good config and same thing Inserted the Windows XP install disc and set BIOS to boot from that tried doing a repair and it just sent me to DOS prompt so after a little Googling I tried running chkdsk r which was plodding along all night so I left it be Before leaving for work the next morning noted it was at Came back from work hours later and it was still at so I gave it another couple of hours and still no change so assumed it had crashed and powered off Next I tried running the Windows CD and going back to start the chkdsk again but this time as soon as it started a message same up saying the volume has one or more unrecoverable problem Sensing the worst I ordered a new hard drive and also a caddy as my PC only has one space for a hard disc so I planned to mount the old drive as a slave and see if I could have any more joy that way or at least run some diagnostics Both arrived this morning so I powered up the new drive in my system formatted installed Windows and drivers etc Then tried connecting the old drive in the caddy as external storage Sounded to be spinning up ok and Windows recognized it and said the storage was ready to use but there was no icon to access the storage in my computer Did a bit more Googling and saw a page with a method I hadn t seen before to rescue a hard disc using the Windows CD so just to see what happened I tried remounting the old hard drive back in the system and booting to the CD again This time I couldn t even get to the welcome screen of the CD as after a few minutes it went to another BSOD So have now put the new hard drive back in and posted this to pray for divine inspiration In hope more than expectation nbsp

Relevancy 79.12%

Dear all,

I am a novice at trying to backing up my files and data before my hard drive crashes but guess what, I am here to say that my hard drive has crashed and I cannot do that now. I get an error message : <Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

which means I have to either reinstall my Windows XP (which I hope works and I still have to find) or reformat my computer.

My question is: how can I save the files on my hard drive manually since my computer technically won't get past this error message?

Please let me know asap.

Sincerely,

coomstop

A:Hard drive to be Reformatted but need to save data and files first

Read How to recover your folders/files when Windows won?t boot

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-to-be-reformatted-but-need-to-save-data-and-files-first.137683/
Relevancy 73.1%

I have an Acer Aspire X3200, when I re-boot, there is a wuring noise coming from the pc. I don't seem to have any problems, but this noise. I am led to believe that my hard drive is on its way out. Before this happens, I want to install a new drive. The drive is a SATA drive. My question is how do I replace it? And can anyone recommend what drive I should look for?

Relevancy 73.1%

Hey guys I was running Seatools and got this error. Can you explain it to me? THx for the help

Metallica5456

Relevancy 73.1%

I seem to be having a problem with my hard drive.

The last few times it has started it takes an age to get through the initial black screen, white letters (boot?) section before starting windows. One time after about an hour, it started to boot (!) and announced a disk boot failure, coupled with a request to load up the system repair disk. After doing this it went through various procedures, eventually resulting in a working machine.
Also the HD used to be silent but now I can hear it (faintly) working all the time. It's a Western Digital WDC WD10EACS and listening to the 'sample sounds' the nearest one is the stuck spindle sound but with faint irregular clicking rather than chatter.

Is this a sign that the hard drive is probably on its way out, and that I should replace it?

Relevancy 73.1%

Recently my computer has been acting strange. Eg. Windows Explorer takes ages to load from the C: drive but Firefox load quickly from the E: drive. I have checked my hard drive fitness and performance using Speedfan and it says that drive C: is at 88% fitness. My question is, Has the hard drive C: pretty much had it? and Can I copy windows xp media centre from Drive C to Drive E?

Thanking in advance,
Jack-O-Bytes

Relevancy 73.1%

Hello here is the background About two weeks ago my XP could not start properly and I was prompted to use chkdsk I did so the next startup was OK and I forgot about it Yesterday I messed a bit with the PC I uninstalled an antivirus program F-secure and installed a new one trendmicro and then I opened the case and installed GB of extra RAM Since then I can t start the computer The RAM seems to be OK the correct amount of memory is shown when I turn the PC on but when I log on it either completely freezes or starts again by itself like someone had pressed the reset button I started a command-line shell from the original CD-rom that came with the failing? Hard drive Solved: computer and run chkdsk It exited after reporting quot Solved: Hard drive failing? at least one quot not repairable error without giving me any details So now my guess is that the hard drive is dead Replacing it will be a lot of work so I wanted to check if anyone has a better idea Is it a coincidence that the hard drive died after I put in more RAM Thanks a lot D nbsp

Relevancy 73.1%

Hi,

Im not sure if this is in the right place.

On my HDD I have Win XP but my hard drive is failing, can i copy everything from my Win XP HDD as it is now onto my other hdd and remove the failing one without having to re-install Win XP?

Relevancy 72.24%

I have a Seagate IDE. It was formatted with NTFS. It has two partitions. The size is 400GB total. One partition was movies the other was games. I can get movies to show up but no games. Instead of the games partition I get what is called F Local disk. I also get an error when I try to open F saying "If I wanted to use Drive F I must format it first"

However if I format the drive I will lose all my info.

Its emitting a strange sound. Its not a thumpimg sound usually heard when drives fail, its more a Da-DADADA-DA-Da-DA.
So I can get my games partition to show up I just can't get it to open. Are there any tools I can use that might help me? I just need to open it long enough to transfer the game files to another disk.

Relevancy 72.24%

I am using my pc to write this so cannot download the tsg sysinfo the now but can if it really needed just using the laptop as little as possible

I have my sisters laptop here she says she got an error message about backing her stuff up but she can't remember exactly what it said exactly but as of yet I have not seen this message.

I checked speccy and under the S.M.A.R.T status it reads warning so I guess it was a message regarding that.

I did download HDDScan but have no understanding of these things.

I can post a report from HDDScan or you can get me to use another program if its better I know you guys have your own set of programs you use.

Laptop is:

Compaq Presario CQ58

so any advice would be great

Relevancy 72.24%

I wasn t sure which topic to put this under so I apologize if I picked the wrong section So over the last few months I feel like my hard drive is failing The other day I got - bsod s in a row with irql gt zero service as error I used SeaTools to try to diagnose it but it fails the DST test and it also failed the long test when i clicked on fix it all It tells me to run seatools in DOS to fix bad sectors of the hard drive but when I load it in dos it does not even recognize my harddrive I ll try to provide whatever details of my laptop below OS Name Microsoft Windows Home Premium Version Service Pack Build Other OS Description Not Available OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation System Name RAZ-PC System Manufacturer Dell Inc System Model Dell System XPS L X System Type x -based PC Processor Intel R Core TM i - QM CPU GHz Mhz Core s Logical Processor s BIOS Version Date Dell Inc A SMBIOS Version Windows Directory C Windows System Directory C Windows system Boot Device Device HarddiskVolume Locale United States Hardware Abstraction Layer Version quot quot User Name Raz-PC Raz Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time Installed Physical Memory RAM GB Total Physical Memory GB Available Physical Memory GB Total Virtual Memory GB Available Virtual Memory GB Page File Space GB Page File C pagefile sys Here is seatools in windows log --------------- SeaTools for Windows v --------------- AM Model ST AS Serial Number VJBJG Firmware Revision D SDM Identify - Started AM Short DST - Started AM Short DST - FAIL AM SeaTools Test Code AED E SMART - Pass AM Short DST Solved: drive failing + Hard BSOD - Started AM Short DST Aborted AM Fix All Long - FAIL AM SeaTools Test Code Solved: BSOD + Hard drive failing AED C Does anyone know what I can do Is there a way to remove bad sectors on a hard drive and put them onto another area of the hard drive I ran a memtest and it passed I also ran some cpu tester and it passed so I m pretty sure it s the hard drive On a side note I can do everything fine on the computer just every now and then there will be a time when everything just kind of really slugs down and even ctrl alt del takes like minutes to show up and then when that phase passes everything is fine again nbsp

Relevancy 72.24%

Thats the message Powermax is giving me. Can this drive be fixed? Can I do it? Any programs available. It's a relatively new hard drive.

Relevancy 71.38%

My hard drive is failing - according to Hiatachi Test and Maxtor Test - but my computer is Hard Solved: Learning Experience Failing Drive still running fine So I downloaded a test version of Active Smart - which notifies me each hour of changes etc The only item which is a problem is quot - Seek Time Performance quot - which goes up and down However it does have an entry showing TEC of March which is NOW So I appear to be in deep trouble - lol My question is - the reason I started running the failure tests was that Executive Diskeeper kept showing me that I had problems - in the PagingFile and MFT areas - yellow flagging it Is this the same PagingFile as SeekTimePerformance - or are they related I have read lots of forum posts but haven t seen that addressed specifically I already have made decisions and backed Solved: Failing Hard Drive Learning Experience up to take care of this - I just would like to learn something for FUTURE failures Pessimist here Appreciate any information or explanations - thanks nbsp

Relevancy 70.95%

I'm trying to wipe secure erase my computer hard drive and put it back to factory settings--the computer is getting sold From reading the forums I realize I can use clean all or other programs to write over the quot deleted quot data with ones or zeros However my plan of action was to Use system recovery to system the a data save "deleted" hard on image Does drive put the computer back to factory settings Create a system image Use clean all from the command prompt to wipe the drive Reinstall Windows via installation CD Restore via system image The one problem is that I don't know if a system image saves absolutely everything including data that had been quot deleted quot and is still present on the hard drive but is designated by the computer to be written over I'm worried that if I do this I'll just be undoing my attempt at securely erasing my hard drive and the quot deleted quot data will still be available for people Does a system image save "deleted" data on the hard drive to find if they tried Does anyone know If this is true I'll Does a system image save "deleted" data on the hard drive just do all of this and just reinstall the HP drivers and software that came with it manually and the hard drive won't have a recovery partition for the next person

A:Does a system image save "deleted" data on the hard drive

I'm not sure I follow your steps. I'm missing why you'd install Windows 7, then restore. Do you have a Recovery Disk ?? If not can you still make one ?? If either is yes, then I'd wipe the drive and restore and be done with it.

On the other hand, if I was that concerned I'd probably just put another HDD in it and restore to it.

In answer to your question though, it depends on what you use to capture / apply the image. Imagex, by nature, simply gets the "meat" of the OS install and leaves behind anything else. Other stuff may well carry the "ones and zeros" of deleted data as well. I seem to recall once using a utility that grabbed the entire partition to apply elsewhere. I quit using it because it was more trouble than it was worth.

But by far the most secure method is to replace that hard drive and keep the drive that "might" have recoverable data and use it yourself as a spare or external drive.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/246416-does-system-image-save-deleted-data-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 70.52%

Hello I m hoping I can get the help I need to fix this problem About a week ago my hard drive started making a weird sound very close to the sound it makes when Solved: Question. like failing. its sounds drive Hard Driver I shut Solved: Hard drive sounds like its failing. Driver Question. down my computer However it remains on and nothing bad happens maybe it slows down minor but not noticeable the sound itself just is not normal I ran a autochk exe which did in fact fix many problems on the machine After all though it completed describing it now had bad sectors and unindexed files the hard drive still makes the same shut down noise not through speakers The hard drive itself I ve checked wav files for sounds of a failing harddrive however I do not recognize any of the sounds being close to what mines making ALSO I ran Solved: Hard drive sounds like its failing. Driver Question. a driver view and it reported there were UP to date drivers my question is simple for this one Why do i have drivers lol a few of them I ve noticed are from programs that are now uninstalled from my computer Any help would be great and I thank you in advanced Here s my drivers I Know its long and grueling nbsp

Relevancy 70.52%

My 5 1/2 year old HP Pavilion desktop has been going to black or shutting down and restarting intermittently. I have done HP diagnostics and they showed no problem. I did a restore to an earlier date a couple of days ago, and a few months ago, a complete system restore to factory settings. The shutting down and black screen occurred after the restore. I am wondering if these are symptoms of an imminent hard drive failure. Or, does it sound like another problem? I have not added any new software or hardware. I have done regular windows updates. I am running Vista.
Thanks!

A:Solved: desktop shuts down or goes to black--hard drive failing?

Sounds like it could be your power supply or an overheat issue

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-desktop-shuts-down-or-goes-to-black-hard-drive-failing.1123516/
Relevancy 70.09%

Hello again new problem I have a Clicking hard drive which i know is a real problem i am planning on buying a new hard drive this weekend but the problem i have is that i dont have the windows xp home disc I have xp and Genuine need of copy failing windows drive Solved: Hard home a license sticker on my computer but no disk to download to the new HD This is obviously a big problem I know that the notice up there says not to post questions about filesharing or illegal activity and i hope that this doesnt fall under that catagory but as it is a grey line here im gonna try to post I was trying to find a copy of xp home to download on the microsoft website Solved: Hard drive failing and need Genuine copy of windows xp home but was having trouble locating it all i can find is a boot-loader to download to six high-density floppys I do not have floppys and dont even know where i would go to buy them anymore my local computer repair store doesnt carry them Im trying to find a legitimate place to download a genuine copy of XP home Alternatively I was wondering if there is any way to image the hard drive i have and save that on a removable usb hard drive Again i hope this doesnt fall under the catagory of no-no s and i apologize if it does Just want to be able to continue surfing nbsp

Relevancy 67.94%

My husband was on a newscast last week, and the archive expires today. Is there a way to save it to my hard drive or a CD? I'd appreciate your help.

Sue

A:Solved: How to save an online newscast to hard drive or CD?

It depends. There are likely copyright issues. Unless they provide a download option, that is probably the case. You will have to read the Terms of Use of the site in question or contact them directly to ask for permission or obtain a copy from them.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-how-to-save-an-online-newscast-to-hard-drive-or-cd.930810/
Relevancy 67.94%

Hi guys,

I have a hard drive with some fairly important information. I hooked it up to a hard drive dock and it comes up but sometimes it loses connection and then randomly connects back again and I see the drive in "My Computer". I dont hear any clicking, is there still something I can do to get this hard drive running long enough to image it? Thanks!

Relevancy 67.08%

I want to copy my data on my Dell that wont start and I can enter command prompt. So can I copy my data to my external drive??
Thank you for any advice..

A:How do i copy my data from the failing drive to my external drive?

Depending on the accessibility status of the hard drive and presuming that its a non booting Windows (not mentioned), try using a Puppy Linux bootable disc and then connect or mount your external to access and copy your data. The tutorial link would give you all the needed information when  working in Linux OS environment.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/516885/how-do-i-copy-my-data-from-the-failing-drive-to-my-external-drive/
Relevancy 66.65%

Hi,
I have a WD1002FAEX (WD Black 1TB) that has started to show signs of failure. A few months ago it would load larger files slowly and buffer sometimes when watching videos. As of this week though, it's loading everything slowly and even SD video buffers every few seconds. It does not appear any data is corrupted, as I haven't had any files that did not play/work (despite freezing/buffering all the time).

What is my absolute safest option to get my data copied to elsewhere? **** the drive itself, I can RMA it, I just need my data safe and sound.

A:Failing drive; best way to transfer off data?

Hello Mark,

If able, the safest way would be a straight copy and paste of any files or folders you do not want to lose to another hard drive.

Hope this helps.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/283491-failing-drive-best-way-transfer-off-data.html
Relevancy 66.22%

I am getting a message on my laptop that quot windows has detected a hard disk problem quot The message says to backup all my data and contact the computer manufacturer to see if I need to replace or repair my HD I have not wasted the time trying to I save failing...can HD Solved: OS???? contact Samsung I backed up my data to a DVD and bought a new HD same model as original When I install the new HD I can t get the system to boot up using the backup I Solved: HD failing...can I save OS???? made Computer says Solved: HD failing...can I save OS???? it cannot find an os Solved: HD failing...can I save OS???? From what I have read on this forum it sounds like when I follow the prompts and made the backup it does not include the os I reinstalled the old hd and I m able to use it but the message keeps popping up Should I just buy a new os install new hd and load the new os onto it Is there anything I can do to save and use my old os before the disk fails I have a desktop that is part of my home network that is running fine also win but the laptop and desktop were purchased separately Anyway I was hopping you forum members could help me do the right thing Thanks in advance for any help Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Home Premium Service Pack bit Processor Pentium R Dual-Core CPU T GHz Intel Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card Mobile Intel R Series Express Chipset Family Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB D Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO LTD RV RV S E Antivirus AVG AntiVirus Free Edition Updated and Enabled nbsp

Relevancy 66.22%

I have my old hard drive from my xp computer that has gone to meet its maker
I want to get the data from it
What exactly do i need please?
I cant fit it in my new windows 7 pc as there is no space i looked

Its a maxtor model number 6L160p0 160 gbs

I have tried to Google but im lost in cyberspace
Thanks

Relevancy 66.22%

Here's a situation I've never faced before.
I have two internal hard drives. One is 150 gig that is used for general use (windows, programs, some data), the other is a 1 ter. used for data storage (like an external is usually used). For no apparent reason, I can't access the big one. Whenever I try to read it through Explorer the drive shows up, but when I click on it I get a message telling me it needs to be formated.
Any ideas? I really don't want to lose the data on it if possible.
Thanks

Relevancy 66.22%

I upgraded to Win7 x64 about a year ago, I basically just removed a good working 500gb WD green drive and installed a new WD Black 1TB drive and installed Win7 on it, now I wanted to go back and pull some data off the old drive and since it still has an operating system on it I put it in a external case, but when I hook it up by USB 3.0 the computer does not show the drive unless I go into Disc Management where I can see it but it's listed as...

Disk 3
Dynamic
Invalid

The right click options are Convert to basic disk or Reactivate Disk, I know I don't want to Convert but will choosing Reactivate fix it to where I can get the data off of it? Thanks

Relevancy 65.79%

My hard drive started making funny clicking noises and the pc pitstop checkup gave me a response time of 77ms and a warning that it could expire shortly. So i bought a new 80 gb hard drive, installed it, partitioned it no problem, but i now want to swap all the data from my old hard drive to my new one (os and all), and then junk the old drive.
How can i do this without spending money on software that i will probably only use once or twice.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

the pipster

A:How can i copy my failing 8gb hard drive to my new 80gb hard drive?

For free:

XXClone
HDClone (free edition only smaller to larger)
DriveClonerXP
PCI CloneMaxx

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-can-i-copy-my-failing-8gb-hard-drive-to-my-new-80gb-hard-drive.404558/
Relevancy 65.79%

A friend brought me her computer It is a Sony Vasio Laptop model PCG- K L It and take to do a failing drive move new Vista hard old How it hard I off my drive? has a Hitachi GB RPM SATA HDD that has failed do How do I take Vista off my old failing hard drive and move it to a new hard drive? to physical damage How do I take Vista off my old failing hard drive and move it to a new hard drive? she dropped it Is it possible to move all the data including the Vista Home Premium OS from the old HDD to a new HDD so she doesn t have to buy a new OS She s had the computer for awhile and doesn t have any restore or repair disks I happen to have a Vista repair disk from an old laptop Am I able to install the repair disk on the new HDD and then use the product key on the underside of her computer to install Vista Thanks for your help If this topic has been covered successfully in this forum in the past just link me to it I tried looking but am not exactly sure how to phrase the search question I ve looked but not satisfied with what I have been finding Thanks nbsp

A:How do I take Vista off my old failing hard drive and move it to a new hard drive?

In spite of the physical damage you can still read the hard drive? Try cloning the drive or imaging the needed partitions. I use Macrium Reflect Free. Easeus Todo Backup is another free one, and there are lots more.

Am I able to install the repair disk on the new HDD and then use the product key on the underside of her computer to install Vista?Click to expand...

Only if the "repair disk" is a Vista installation DVD. Repair disks just include the Recovery Console programs (I probably don't have the correct term there) to fix issues with booting and startup, etc.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-do-i-take-vista-off-my-old-failing-hard-drive-and-move-it-to-a-new-hard-drive.1108349/
Relevancy 65.36%

Can somebody please help My C is a WD BB Western Digital gb I ran Disk Defragmentation and when i finished I ran Scan Disk Scan Disk wanted me to restart first With the Restart it never loaded my XP instead I recieved a message to start up in quot Safe Mode quot or quot Safe Mode With Networklng quot or quot Safe Mode with Comand Prompt quot or quot Solved: data on Recover drive hard Normal Windows quot No matter which one I choose my Computer starts up up to the black screen with the XP logo and blue bar showing progress The next moment it just restarts again I think my partition table is Solved: Recover data on hard drive broken I ve tried fixing the problem by booting with XP cd and restore fix with no success It wants me to format the HDD and re-install XP There is no software tool from hard drive manufacturer that I can find I ve even made a old gb HDD as my C master and installed XP on it then connected my gb HDD as slave to try and recover the data My gb is displayed in explorer and Disk Management but it is not accessable How can I retrieve save my data from that HDD Or how can I fix my HDD I will apreciate all help Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 65.36%

We added the hard drive from our old computer into our new computer (so, I have two hard drives, an old one and the new one). I can access Word documents, etc. on the old drive just fine, but I'm wondering if there is a way I can find/view my email addresses I had in Outlook Express and websites I had stored in "favorites" on my old drive. I hope this makes sense. Your help, as always, is appreciated! Robin

Relevancy 65.36%

This afternoon when I turned on my computer(listed as primary in my PC specs) my Slave Maxtor drive didn't show up. After turning it off and back on 2 times the drive finally returned in My Computer but it changed from Maxtor Drive(I: ) to Drive(H: ). And when you try to get into the drive it reports that the drive is not formatted. Is there a way I can recover the drive with data intact that dosn't involve formating it? If there isn't how can I copy the data on the disk to another harddrive while I format this one?

Relevancy 65.36%

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack bit Processor AMD Athlon tm X Dual Core Processor x Family Model Stepping Solved: DATA Drive Partitioning AFTER HAS Hard My IT Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce nForce Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard EPoX COMPUTER CO LTD MCP S DDR AGF -M Series Antivirus Trend Micro Antivirus Updated Solved: Partitioning My Hard Drive AFTER IT HAS DATA Yes On-Demand Scanner Enabled Now that I have used this computer for awhile I find that I have co-mingled the OS applications and data all in the same partition on the hard drive I would like to have the OS application software and my files all in separate partitions Is that possible to achieve short of a clean start I thought that I could move all of the applications Office Adobe Sketchup etc to a separate HD and I did but many if not all of the relocated applications Microsoft Office no longer work I have all of the data files duplicated already so data does not seem to be an issue Once I had evacuated the C drive of all but the OS I was going to repartition it and then reoccupy the new partitions What am I missing I sure hope I don t have to reformat the hard drive and start from scratch nbsp

Relevancy 65.36%

On My XP MCE I wanted to print an interesting file and started the CTRL and P When it was taking a very long time to load the data I realized there would be a multitude of pages to print and the only way I could interrupt the process was to power off Upon reboot it kept cycling offering a screen with choices -- Safe Last known normal etc It did not matter which I selected it would cycle and return to that screen Giving up I replaced the HD and now I would like to recover the data I have the failed drive in an external case and when I try to access it I get quot Corrupted file -- cannot access quot The HD with the corrupted file is a WD SATA G Is there software that will allow me to gain access to the data I have the files backed up on another drive but the last back up was two months ago Thank you for considering my question nbsp

Relevancy 65.36%

I have just bought a Dell laptop. On my old laptop I had the hard drive partitioned for OS and Data in the proportion of 50/50A. The new laptop with a hard drive of 750Gb is also partitioned with the C drive being for OS at 676GB and the D for Data at 7.96GB. This seems a strange way round because the data drive would be the one with pictures, music etc. on it and so would need to be the bigger one. Any thoughts please?

Relevancy 65.36%

Hello, my hard drive recently became partially corrupted, so I'm trying to copy the data to another one to see what I can salvage, but when I try to access the hard drive it says "access denied" I tried changing the permissions but I really have no idea what to do here

A:[SOLVED] Hard drive data recovery

Take ownership of the drive or folder.
If you are having problems accessing a corrupted drive, try recovering your files with the free TestDisk Program, I have had the best luck with GetDataBack. You will need another drive of the same size or larger to restore your files to.,

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-hard-drive-data-recovery-941465.html
Relevancy 65.36%

Hey there guys about six months ago I started receiving an error every few days on my computer on boot and it was something along the lines of 'pxe-rom Check cable connection ' To fix it I just used my Windows install CD and it was fine until whenever it'd happen again Now just about three days ago an error popped up that said 'Windows has problem. detected Windows Hard drive hard has a failing? disk detected a hard disk problem' The hard drive is a GB Toshiba MK GSXN Anyway after Windows has detected a hard disk problem. Hard drive failing? getting that message I quickly backed up all of my important documents and stuff onto an external HDD It was also very slow slower than my computer had ever been So I decided to do a clean install since scans with Malwarebytes and AVG detected nothing And then once it finished it popped up the error message again I have noticed that the slowness has gone but I'm not installing any programs in case it does fail I am wondering that maybe the 'check cable connection' error was telling me something but I didn't think anything of it So does it sound like I need to get a new hard drive EDIT I bought a new hard drive fixed

A:Windows has detected a hard disk problem. Hard drive failing?

In many cases, that is Windows way of saying your hard drive is in imminent danger of failing. Of course there could be other problems, but windows will usually detect it first. A tutorial that may help is simple to use, but may take a while. Disk Check I would also get the Manufacturer's hard drive diagnostic program to check the drive. You were wise to back up all of your personal information.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/271067-windows-has-detected-hard-disk-problem-hard-drive-failing.html
Relevancy 64.93%

I have a hard-disk of 250gb with load of nearly 200gb. Unfortunately there is no backup and the hard-disk not detected in another computer, means possibly damaged. Is there any process to save some or entire data from the hard-disk. It consists of some important data.
Please help..

A:Save data from damaged hard-disc

Is it an external hard drive?

Please connect it to your computer and see how it appears in Windows Disk Management.

Will help us give a focussed solution if you could upload a screenshot of the same.

[If the external disk appears as RAW, then

Download and install MiniTools Partition Wizard Home Edition 7.6 from Best Free Partition Manager Freeware and free partition magic for Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Vista and Windows XP 32 bit & 64 bit. MiniTool Free Partition Manager Software Home Edition.

Use the Partition Recovery Wizard in it and try to recover the partition.

More help here: Recover a flash drive turned RAW ? Partition Wizard and TestDisk.

( Scroll down to Recovery with Partition Wizard: SanDisk Cruzer Blade 16GB and follow the steps therein.It applies to external Hard disks too though I performed it on a USB flash drive.)]

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/272444-save-data-damaged-hard-disc.html
Relevancy 64.93%

During an new OS upgrade involving setting up an gb Me XP dual boot on a new drive i managed to scramble my existing drive which had gb data on a windows Me OS hard drive This was years worth My new dual boot is working a treat but i want to embark on a project to retrieve info ie email addresses downloads etc off my old disc I know its there because the boot discs ie acronis partition magic say the disc is ok but it wont boot no how no way In hindsight i think i must have accidentally revealed hard lost on retrieving data drive Solved: two OS to each other both active and well you get the idea How can I plug it back into an operating OS as a slave and be sure its not active albeit corrupted I dont want to scramble my new working setup Is the fact it won t boot any more good enough Will my existing active drives not see it if it isn t bootable even if it is active Thanks Solved: retrieving lost data on hard drive for any comments nbsp

Relevancy 64.93%

My desktop runs XP and I have a Seagate external hard drive which I use for videos While closing down the system in Solved: ?? lost - Hard Data Drive External a hurry I removed the power plug for the external hard drive Solved: External Hard Drive - Data lost ?? too early Before finally closing it gave a message which referred to the drive K and I think included the word re-cycle and a string of numbers It then said that I should save the file elsewhere Not knowing what I could then do I continued with the closing down routine When I re-booted the system it refused to recognise that the external drive existed Does Solved: External Hard Drive - Data lost ?? this mean that I have completely lost all my files Its not an absolute disaster if it does as I m sure that Iwill be able to re-load most of them from the web but if they are recoverable then that would save many hours of work I m abroad at the moment so don t have access to my system for quot trying things out quot but any thoughts or comments polite please - I fully realise that my problem is caused by impatience would be most welcome Soroti nbsp

A:Solved: External Hard Drive - Data lost ??

They aren't gone but something may have been corrupted

-press the windows key
-right click on "computer"
-click MANAGE
-click on disk management under "storage"
-do you see the disk show up anywhere? if so what does it show?

I would start by going to the command prompt and typing CHKDSK /F then let it reboot and run.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-external-hard-drive-data-lost.950330/
Relevancy 64.93%

I have a friend who has a hard drive that he can t access the data on He says it s a SATA hard drive He has tried to re-format it by overwriting not using a new partition but he gets an error saying that the data can t be accessed Also it crashed during one of the attempts He also tried deleting may be Solved: access drive data, can't Hard corrupted the partition to save his hard drive the partition takes up the entire hard drive s capacity but got the same result If he attempts to run the already installed Windows on the hard drive it gets past the starting windows screen and then automatically restarts This problem started when windows was carrying out an update but the computer shut off before it could complete Then it was all downhill from there Does anybody have any last effort ideas for saving the hard drive and possibly the files on it Since I m speaking for my friend I might not have all of the details so please let me know if you need any more and I ll try and find out nbsp

A:Solved: Hard drive can't access data, may be corrupted

You need to find out the manufacturer of the drive and use their diagnostics to test the drive for errors.

Ultimate Boot CD is a bootable CD with all the manufacturer's diagnostics that you can use to test it: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-hard-drive-cant-access-data-may-be-corrupted.1104330/
Relevancy 64.93%

Hi,

I copied all of my own music collection on to a partitioned hard drive and as one CD was copying through WMP 10, I got an error message that said my hard drive was full and I know that I had many gigs left on the 1/2 of the hard drive that i was storing the music on. Now when I try and access the G: drive through explorer, I get a message stating that the disk in the g: drive is not formatted and do I want to format it now?

Can someone out there tell me is my hard drive is hosed or can I get access to it once again?

Thanks in advance,

JStealth

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-salvaging-data-from-a-corrupt-hard-drive.375108/
Relevancy 64.93%

I have a computer that the hard drive is starting to make Indy noises - day Decided to purchase new HD and transfer date over to it before the other one hits the wall Extensive amount of data is backed up on external HD using Acronis Install data Solved: and transfer drive Hard new software from which I have never Solved: Install new Hard drive and transfer data had to use the restore function Presently running XP home ed QUESTION I have no more slots data cables or power cables free Can I temporarily unhook my zip drive cables and insert them into new drive just to complete this new install If that is OK do I Fdisk and format new drive from present drive to get NTSF before data transfer or do the drives come pre-formatted with NTSF As to actual transfer of all data is it best to use Windows Explorer and copy all programs so I know hidden and R O Solved: Install new Hard drive and transfer data files are transferred or has anyone restored a full HD using Acronis so I know that when swapping Solved: Install new Hard drive and transfer data new HD from slave to the slot where present drive resides and becomes the bootable drive all will FLAWLESSLY work like intended and then re-hook up zip drive Never had to replace HD with this many GB of data and of programs before Always threw the whole works in the dumpster because entire system needed to be upgraded Any flowsheet of how to perform this task will be greatly appreciated You guys have nt let me down yet Hoping for another smooth transition for a really common procedure I would guess Thanks so much Paul nbsp

Relevancy 64.93%

I Solved: a hard Extracting data drive! off corrupt have a HP Notebook that has two hard drives One C drive and Solved: Extracting data off a corrupt hard drive! one D drive I have my windows XP Partition on the C Drive I am trying to extract all the info from my D Drive and put it onto an External Hard drive For some reason it is just not letting me transfer the files I have tried to send and copy them over with no luck I have tried using Acronis T Solved: Extracting data off a corrupt hard drive! Image but doesn t work tells me that there is bad Solved: Extracting data off a corrupt hard drive! sectors and can t transfer Tried using bootable disks UBCD Win Drive XML Norton partition manager etc As soon as I start extracting files it gives me and error message and asks if I want to ignore retry etc What would you suggest I was going to run a disk check on this D drive but I am afraid of it wiping out some of my files Is there another bootable disk that I should use for extracting my files Thanks for the help nbsp

Relevancy 64.93%

Hey everyone-

Probably a fairly simple question that I am having problems with. I have an older Lenova thinkpad laptop that has 108 GB available hard drive. It says that I have 16GB free. When I go through all the folders on this drive, the data adds up to less than 50GB - including windows, program folders, documents etc. Why can't I find an additional 40 GB of data?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

A:[SOLVED] Hard Drive says it is almost full but I can't find all the data

https://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/

Can use this might help

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-hard-drive-says-it-is-almost-full-but-i-cant-find-all-the-data-811314.html
Relevancy 64.93%

I had an unfortunate incident with my USB HDD tonight I accidently plugged a wrong cord into it and instead of Recovering Solved: drive? data hard fried from a the usual Solved: Recovering data from a fried hard drive? v I actually plugged in a v power supply Apparently this is a bad thing This has caused a part of the PC board on the HDD to burn out and when we removed the HDD from it s casing and plugged it into a SATA dock it didn t work and caused more of a burning smell Although the external casing has survived fine so I can put a new HDD into it I m just wondering is it possible to recover the data on the drive in some way The HDD is a WD GB SATA drive Would it be possible to replace the PC board on the HDD to get it going I don t need it to run forever just long enough to recover the data on it Thankfully I had recently bought a new HDD for my PC and had transerred most of the data to it and most of what is left is replaceable but it will take ages to get it back and I was hoping that being able to recover the data might be a little quicker Thanks nbsp

A:Solved: Recovering data from a fried hard drive?

You should be able to transfer the PCB from an identical drive to the cooked drive and have it work. If you haven't damaged any of the motors!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-recovering-data-from-a-fried-hard-drive.866393/
Relevancy 64.07%

I have used the quot parts quot from separate computers need to combine them added, 2000 data hard the Solved: I need Windows drive into one good working machine Here s the scenario A Machine A had bad motherboard GOOD HD B Machine B had bad hard-drive GOOD MOBO so I took the good hard-drive out Solved: hard drive added, Windows 2000 I need the data of the machine with bad mobo and did this I slid good HD into the slot above the bad HD and secured plugged etc- so now I have the good HD and Solved: hard drive added, Windows 2000 I need the data the good mobo together I completely disconnected the bad drive leaving it in the case because I can t get to the screws Started to power up and it passed the POST and Win screen started to come up But then Got a black screen can t remember exactly what it said but it was like a scandisk operation or similar not worried yet so far so good - I thought After that quot scandisk quot finished it went to blue screen and said quot STOP ERROR Inaccessible Boot Device quot and then a bunch of letters and numbers I can get those later and come back to this if they are needed Screen also said quot If this is the first time you have seen this stop error screen restart computer If this screen appears again follow these steps Check for viruses on your Solved: hard drive added, Windows 2000 I need the data computer Remove anynewly installed hard drives or hard driver controllers Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated Run CHKDSK f to check for hard drive corruption and then restart your computer Refer to your getting started manual for more info on troubleshooting stop errors quot OK THE HARD DRIVE WAS GOOD NO CORRUPTION NO VIRUSES ETC before the MOBO went out and I handled it quot oh-so-gently quot --------------------------------------------------------------------------- SO - Looking at the Microsoft solutions list I think this applies Method If an IRQ or I O port address conflict exists between your boot controller and another controller in the system Windows NT will either hang or stop with the Stop x B error message If you recently added new hardware remove the new hardware or re-configure it so it does not conflict with the resources of any other installed controllers Check the SCSI chain for proper termination Remove any non-essential SCSI devices or check to ensure each SCSI ID is unique ARTICLE-ID TITLE Required Settings for Adaptec SCSI Host Adapter ------------------------------------------------------------------------ The PROBLEM - things I don t know HOW to re-config the hardware to get rid of a conflict and I don t know HOW to check the chain for proper termination I don t know HOW to ensrue the SCSI ID is unique I LL APPRECIATE the HOW-TO advice if I can get it Thanks - mucho nbsp

Relevancy 64.07%

I am running WIN XP Pro (SP2) with a USB attached external hard drive.
The hard drive is attached all the time and is 250gb, it currently shows free space of 157gb.
All the folders appear (including the normally hidden system folders), but they appear to be empty.
Going by the fact that there is 157 gb of free space there should therefore be approximately 100gb of data yet I am unable to see it.
I have run Freeundelete (which didn't work because it couldn't see my external drive (my H drive) and have also run Winundelete which ran successfully but said there were no deleted files to undelete.
How do I go about restoring the files that are there but that I can't see so that I can once again use them.

A:Solved: (Apparent) Lost data on external hard drive

A complete reboot and power off / on seems to have fixed this problem.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-apparent-lost-data-on-external-hard-drive.713979/
Relevancy 64.07%

One of my computers is configured with four SATA non-RAID drives I ve used this setup for about a year The other day I noticed that one of the drives main backup was missing all of its data The drive still shows up in Disk Management as D quot healthy as well as in Windows Explorer However a right-click quot Properties Local Disk PropertIes quot check shows the drive as having zero bytes an indication that there is no data on it Additionally a direct click on the drive letter initiates quot The disk in drive D is not formatted quot etc This has caught me completely by surprise as the drive showed no early warning signs of impending failure at all BTW the drive is a WD MB Could it be that the data on the drive is now kaput I hesitate to deploy some of the many software data-recovery methods I currently have because of creating irreversible data-lost condition Experience tells me that I may be screwed already choke If anyone has experienced this problem or know of a possible solution please feel free to chime in Thanks nbsp

A:Solved: Internal SATA Hard Drive Data Has Vanished!

Sudden death of a drive is not an impossible thought, and would be my first bet. Sounds like the file system got the first bit of damage, as it's not a case of slowly deteriorating to a corrupted, useless state... In other words, it's not completely dead, but what's dead in it makes all the other healthy parts useless.
Just my thoughts, can't know for sure...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-internal-sata-hard-drive-data-has-vanished.893384/
Relevancy 64.07%

I have two hard drives on a computer. I started reformatting the secondary drive, which doesn't have the operating system on it, and realized soon after I started that it has some important data on it. It had barely started when I cancelled it. Now the drive needs to be formatted to be used. Is there a program that can recover deleted data from an unformatted hard drive?

Relevancy 64.07%

If I have two hard drives in my PC and I transfer lossy files such as jpegs, MP3s, etc. from one to another, do I lose some data because they're lossy formats or do the files copy as exact duplicates?

A:Solved: Transferring jpegs from one hard drive to another- lose some data?

The quality of the JPEG pictures does not change no matter how many times you just copy or move the files from one location to another. Opening the JPEG files in some kind of photo editor and then saving them as JPEG filse would probably degrade the quality. Same kind of thing applies to MP3 and any other lossy files.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-transferring-jpegs-from-one-hard-drive-to-another-lose-some-data.979724/
Relevancy 64.07%

My Linux went down (long story) and I have been trying to get the data off. The hard drive is in great shape.

What I tried to do so far was open up my external hard drive and use the top piece that connect to the top hard drive that connects the USB/power and plugged the USB into my computer. I get a message that says installing drivers (mass storage) and then that's it, nothing else.

It doesn't show up in my computer. Where it does show up is in Computer Management/Disk Management. It doesn't show anything in the "file system" column and that makes me think that windows is not going to mount because it doesn't recognized the file system.

Thanks for any help in advance

Relevancy 64.07%

I have an external hard drive with a lot of media on it, and was wondering how I would be able to share it over a home network. Anyways I could do it? And preferably not through an internet browser. I used Orb once and it was to slow and not that good. So please any more suggestions.
Thanks

Relevancy 64.07%

My issue bears resemblance to these 2:

Installing Windows 7 while Windows 7 is already installed but without losing data

transfer files using command prompt

The first one is similar because my command prompt is saying my default drive is X: and I can not access anything on C:

The second one has a general outline for how to access the data, but the person who posted that couldn't do it, and I'm not sure if I'm doing it right...

How do I do this?: It doesn't seem to work for me...

xcopy "%userprofile%" "f:\userfiles" /i /s /y

Relevancy 64.07%

Hello thanks in advance for the help About ten months ago I purchased a new gb hard drive E drive Having a data comp hard up - slow drive Solved: Backed lot of stuff on my old maxtor gb hard drive I had a friend install the new E drive while attempting to keep the old maxtor working When this failed I purchased a new gb drive to be my quot C quot drive copied over the stuff from my maxtor gb and planned never to use it again for storage beyond what is already on it and use my new E drive for all my other needs A couple days ago I went to install an old game starcraft to be exact and discovered I had an instance of the game still somewhere on my computer While searching for this I re-discovered my maxtor backup folder which included everything I had backed up months ago including what appears to be the full version of Windows XP meaning I think I have a copy of Windows XP on both my C Solved: Backed up hard drive data - slow comp drive and my E drive Uninstall programs as well as add remove hardware was not working for me so I deleted the starcraft folder from the quot maxtorbackup quot folder on my E drive I was then able to install the game and play however upon my next system restart I ve noticed everything runs a lot slower Everything from opening new programs to switching worksheets in excel If I haven t completely confused you yet I was wondering Solved: Backed up hard drive data - slow comp if the changes I made to the quot maxtorbackup quot folder could be causing this slowdown My secondary question is if the maxtorbackup folder needs to even exist anymore on the E drive nbsp

Relevancy 63.64%

One of my WD Green 2tb drives has become raw and can't be used.
Windows will not complete a format of it.
Shows up in my computer.
Is there any way of saving this drive?

A:Save RAW drive - Don't want data

Open Admin command prompt, then type:
diskpartlist disk ======> Take note of disk # of the RAW driveselect disk # ======> is the number in step 2cleanexit
Open Disk Management and initialize it, Create Simple, format.

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/32601-save-raw-drive-dont-want-data.html
Relevancy 63.21%

My PC has went belly up and I've managed to salvage the hard drive from it and put it in a caddy and the files are all there and look accessible however I cannot get into the My Documents folder because it's password protected. How do I get round that and rescue the data that is in there?

A:Solved: Rescue data from a hard drive but My Docs is password protected

If you're an administrator, I believe you can take ownership of the files. Not totally sure though. Simply having the same username as the user who created them is not sufficient because the SIDs will not match and you won't have access. If you right click on the folder and select properties, you should be able to take ownership.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-rescue-data-from-a-hard-drive-but-my-docs-is-password-protected.731064/
Relevancy 63.21%

I am wondering if I can access files on a SATA or IDE hard drive installed in a desktop computer with no other hard drive installed. Meaning, the drive I am trying to access isn't configured with drivers for the desktop's other hardware or motherboard. There is no other drive installed in the desktop. I was wanting to know if I could use a boot CD (Hiren's or Linux) to use as way to access files, pics, etc. and transfer it to a usb flash drive. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A:Solved: Can I access data from a SATA or IDE hard drive on a system it's not configur

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-can-i-access-data-from-a-sata-or-ide-hard-drive-on-a-system-its-not-configur.1103977/
Relevancy 63.21%

Okay so as ridiculous as it sounds I forgot to make a back up, sue me.

But anyway, I have a lot of important data on this USB that I need to save or recover somehow, and I don't want to just format it and try to recover it that way in case I lose it all forever. I have tried several programs that are meant to be able to recover the data, but all have been unable to even detect the drive even though it appears in the Computer folder.

I attached some photos, can someone help me?

Error message displayed when inserting USB:

Properties of the USB:

Error when attempting Chkdsk:

A:USB drive needs formatting? How do I save my data?

Just for information, tell us: What all recovery programs did you run?

From the chkdsk operation you carried out, I see your drive appears RAW.

To confirm please post a screenshot of Windows Disk Management - with your external drive connected.

If it does appear RAW,

Download , install and Run MiniTools Partition Wizard Home Edition 8.1.1. http://www.partitionwizard.com/download.html

Run the Partition Recovery Wizard in it, selecting your external drive.

Partition Recovery>Full Disk>Next> Quick Scan>Next

Post the screenshot of the resulting screen.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/352750-usb-drive-needs-formatting-how-do-i-save-my-data.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Hi guys I ve got a Dell Dimension and my Hard Drive is the MAXTOR E L DiamondMax Plus According to the Dell Disk Monitoring system SMART or whatever my drive on the primary IDE channel which I take to be my hard drive is operating out of normal specifications It said that it is advisable to get a new hard drive So I plan on getting a new ATA to hard 1st Drive things, need failing, new of Hard know to HELP! drive, need get ton IDE hard drive but i need to know a few things My C drive basically my Hard Drive failing, need to get new hard drive, 1st need to know ton of things, HELP! hard drive RIGHT please Hard Drive failing, need to get new hard drive, 1st need to know ton of things, HELP! clarify if i m wrong So if my current maxtor hard drive fails will the C drive be inaccessible or will the C drive disappear from My Computer or what Really don t know about this issue If I remove my current hard drive from my computer will my computer still work As in will i be able to start my computer but not be able to access any files Also will the C Drive disappear Also I was wondering about those external USB connection hard drives Are they just plug and play like a gigantic USB flash drive or do I need to install them in the computer Also for the external USB hard drives will there be a separate drive on My Computer for me to access the files on the external hard drive e g F drive or G drive or H drive etc Also are there any factors or limitations to what type of hard drive I can get for my Dell Dimension I current hard drive is gb inch ATA IDE EIDE RPM If I can have all these features but say the hard drive is hypothetically Gb or gb yeah right But if it was that big and it had all the features of my MAXtor will it work I mean does the settings of my motherboard have anything to do with the hard drive Also my maxtor s cache of buffer size is MB while other hard drives cache is MB Will the ones with MB cache work in my computer I m so sorry guys that I have a barrage of questions but I m really curious since I need to buy this before June end of the financial year because then I won t get my savings and whatnot Anyway urgently need help THANKS GUYS nbsp

A:Hard Drive failing, need to get new hard drive, 1st need to know ton of things, HELP!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-failing-need-to-get-new-hard-drive-1st-need-to-know-ton-of-things-help.832516/
Relevancy 62.78%

So my HP pavilion g - sa laptop has been acting odd lately a little while after updating to windows from the laptop started to get gradually slower programs such as internet explorer not responding etc It would take a long time to log on and to do anything and after numerous start up repairs and refreshing the laptop in the troubleshooting f mode this didn't work either these tasks all taking a very very long time to complete many hours just drive? failing Possible hard to get through automatic repair takes an hour or two So i decided to go back into the f troubleshooting and do a reset of the laptop first try did not Possible failing hard drive? work and the second did also this took all night to complete and once it has the laptop Possible failing hard drive? still lags slightly on the log in screen when i press the ease of access button that takes a few minutes to load and then when pressing the gui keyboard that takes a while too Also theres another problem in which when I try to login using my microsoft account it says the password is incorrect which it isnt at all ive tried with another keyboard so it isnt that Anyway just wondering if it sounds like a failing hard drive and whats the problem with logging in

A:Possible failing hard drive?

You can perform the inbuilt HDD diagnostics by pressing F2 after turning it on. Additional info can be found here, regarding the performed tests and returned results.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/possible-failing-hard-drive-809954.html
Relevancy 62.78%

My computer has been SUPER SLOW for the past few days I've restarted it turned off bloatware processes and still no luck It will be a complete system lock up where the whole computer will stop responding for at most seconds then if I click while it's locked up nothing will happen Then when the computer comes out of the freeze I'll hear the computer beeping like the type of beeps from the bios not from the OS Also when the computer does this the Hard Drive light will be constantly on it'll try to Failing Hard Drive??? read or write for a few seconds then stop and repeat the process And then it'll start to do its crap and the computer won't be locked up One last thing While typing this my computer was locking up and I'd still type and nothing would appear on the screen until the computer started to respond again Sorry for the long ass information Any help appreciated and I will give Rep Thanks Add ran a quick scan on antivirus and came up with nothing

A:Failing Hard Drive???

Run chkdsk or some other hard drive utility.

And as always: sfc /scannow

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/277538-failing-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Need help quick Since August Ive been getting BSOD first stop error message was x A then I was told it was because I didnt have enough memory to run everything only had mb also said that using AOL was really bad big resource hog So I removed the mb ram stick and had two new mb ram sticks installed Now havent had any more x A but have had two blue screens saying x F somethng about a crucial thread my hard drive is yrs old short tests say its ok but it makes this random ticking noise for about minute then goes away Im assuming its the HHD but my DVD ROM had a disc stuck in it and now every once in awhile I get a little copy of a CD on my mouse pointer like its trying to load up maybe that I ran a hard drive diagnostics using Speed Fan and HD Tune and this is what it said NOTE not all warnings are reflected on fitness and performance overall values as relevancy is based upon the settings from failing?? drive Is hard my the hard disk manufacturer who is the best entity deputed to define such relationships NOTE your hard disk has reallocated sectors this value is very large and your hard disk should be replaced Hard disks do have spare sectors usually from up to used to replace bad ones Is my hard drive failing?? This remapping operation is transparent to the end user Anyway this can lead to degradated performances because remapped sectors are in different places of the disk than the original ones and the head needs additional moving If reallocated sectors grow over time you might encounter some serious troubles A backup of the most important data is suggested anyway NOTE your hard disk has pending sectors Those are sectors that couldn t be properly read and that the hard disk logic is waiting for a write operation to try to remap to a spare sector if available According to the Reallocated Is my hard drive failing?? Sector Count attribute your hard disk seems to Is my hard drive failing?? have available spare sectors A simple disk surface scan won t be enough to force the remap operation You need a read write surface scan to remap the sector The best option should be a tool that knows about what should be read from that sector so that it has some option to apply the best fix to the missing data NOTE your hard disk Spin Retry Count attribute current value is below the normal range - reported for your specific hard disk model This means that your hard disk was unable to start the motor at the first attempt and that additional retries were needed This is not a good sign and you should keep an eye on your hard disk The overall fitness for this drive is The overall performance for this drive is Ok do you think this is the cuase of my BSOD if not what else can I do to find out whats causing this seems like it only happens when my PC sits idle not when its being used My HHD temp is running around c manufacturer says it should normally be about c Can anyone help nbsp

A:Is my hard drive failing??

That doesn't look good, esp with the 'ticking' sound. I'd run one of the tools found in this thread and see what they say, it is a little better test for failure than drive fitness. If you manage to pass that then I'd run some RAM tests. Only reason I'm suggesting that is because in my expierence if a HD is going to cause a BSOD or a system hang, you'll be able to tell by listening and or looking at the HDD activity light. Maybe you just haven't noticed because you didn't know what to look for, now you do

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-my-hard-drive-failing.90668/
Relevancy 62.78%

My primary system drive where Win is installed is a WD K M SATA WD AAKS HD G - OEM Long version feel free to scroll down to short version Yesterday I came back to my computer and all of my applications and desktop were frozen but I could move the mouse When I do what failing, Hard drive to clicked on a window the cursor would turn to the blue spinning thing and the window would eventually say not responding and turn a lighter shade of white I couldn't click on the desktop of the start menu so I did a hard reset The computer then wouldn't pass the black quot starting windows quot screen I did another hard reset and it asked me if I wanted windows to try to repair start up Soon after that it asked if I wanted to restore windows but when I clicked OK I Hard drive failing, what to do got what looked to me to be a memory error sorry don't recall what it said Then startup repair seemed to do nothing for a few hours till I got impatient and restarted the computer I was able to get into Windows and I scheduled a memory test and reset the computer Memory test ran and found no problems I Hard drive failing, what to do restarted and Windows loaded but soon after my computer was laggy and the programs were freezing So then I thought it may be a HDD issue so I scheduled to run check disk on that drive and reset Check Disk found corrupt files and bad sectors After that I was able to load Windows normally but when I tried to open MC for quot Live TV quot it wouldn't pass the searching for tuner stage so I closed out MC and got an error message in the action center So I ran chkdsk again This time windows wouldn't load after restart so I went back into repair startup and it seemed to have found the error really fast restarted and everything seemed fine I decided to run chkdsk one more time for good measure and it had a couple more read errors and found more bad sectors Now I have been running windows with no apparent issues yet Short version computer froze ended up running chkdsk times had to repair start up and now everything is OK for now but obviously I'm worried about more harddrive failure Here are my questions How troubling is this Do I need a new harddrive ASAP or can it run for years with a few bad sectors Any further tests I could run If I am to get a new system drive what should I get All I have on it is windows and my programs I have separate disks for data I'm using roughly GBs out of Should I just try to get the same drive same speed same capacity or is there a good upgrade and is it worth getting an upgrade I don't need more space but something that would help performance maybe or any good deals on sale now I bought my current failing HDD on and I'm pretty sure WD has year limited warranty Should I peruse that angle Any tips or advice related to that How should I got about moving restoring this OS to the new drive a I have a half dozen Windows Image Backups saved Should I just use an old one from before the failure or should I try to create a new one now even though the disk may be corrupt b Or is there a better program to be using than Windows backup and restore Is there anything else I need to know Thanks a lot for any information

A:Hard drive failing, what to do

First, back up everything. When you are done, I will give you advice, but the back up gets priority.

We can test the HardDrive, etc.

Here is a start, but back up, now
http://www.pcmech.com/article/hard-d...and-solutions/

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/103485-hard-drive-failing-what-do.html
Relevancy 62.78%

I use Windows Vista Home Basic and a Dell desktop computer.

I think I started to run into problems after doing a disk defragmentation. Can using that utility harm your hard disk? I get blue screens all the time now. It sucks.

The blue screen messages say:
"BAD_POOL_HEADER"
"MEMEORY_MANAGMENT"
"IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"

From the way I looked it up everyone gets these and they could mean anything. I will post the minidump files in another post because right now it is not letting me put them in a ZIP folder cause it will tell me that there is no read permission. I will try it in safe mode.

A:I think my hard drive is failing. Not sure though.

Oh yeah. It might be helpful if I pointed out one time I was using it and the screen went off and the hard drive started beeping in sets of 4's like: "BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP" "BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP" "BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP" Could have been sets of 3's, but I am pretty sure it was 4's.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-think-my-hard-drive-is-failing-not-sure-though.972653/
Relevancy 62.78%

Ok guys so I own a Dell Inspiron 17R N7110 (2011) and I it was freezing and running slow so I did a Dell diagnostics. When I did that it said my hard drive might be failing with the error code of [Error Code 2000-0142]. I would say the laptop has been running slow and does take time to boot up and log in. I also did a Crystal Disk Info which is the screenshot I posted below. I did buy a Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD to replace it if it is going bad. If its not then I will just use it for the PC I am going to build.

Thanks

BTW I am new to the forums so sorry if I posted this in the wrong place.

A:Hard Drive failing?

In Crystal Disk Mark, go to function/advanced feature/raw values and make sure raw values is set to 10 Dec. Then look at the raw values column again.

It may be failing, but what to do about it is another question. All electro-mechanical devices have a shorter remaining life today than they did yesterday.

You'll never know if it's failing at a fast rate and will not work within a week, or at a slow rate and might work for years.

You can keep an eye on that reallocated sector count to see if it moves up. That often happens.

Or you can give up on it immediately and replace the drive.

You have to consider how valuable the data on the drive is, whether you have backups, how critical it would be if it dropped dead immediately, your budget, etc, etc.

The easy thing to do is replace it now, but it might linger a long time and you can't make an accurate speculation about that.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/374405-hard-drive-failing.html
Relevancy 62.78%

I have a Directv dvr that keeps giving me error messages when scanning disk and is stuck in reboot mode. It says 507 errors and corrects over 600 when it gets s5uck. I have another dvr that works fine, is there any way to recover the shows that I have recorded. I normally wouldnt care but my kids were on tv a few times and I dont want to lose those recordings! Please help

A:Failing DVR hard drive please help

I'm going to suggest also looking in the DirecTV forums on dbstalk http://www.dbstalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=82
as there are knowledgeable people there when dealing with the DirecTV DVRs and receivers. Since you didn't say if it is a HD or SD DVR I can't be more specific as to which subforum.

There is a slim possibility that opening up the DVR and putting the drive in a computer and running the drive makers software could help.However unless you own it that is against the DirecTV TOS. Due to the way DirecTV does their software the drive will only play back in the DVR it recorded in as I understand it. I have directions on opening different HR series DVRs there.

Good Luck
Roger

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/489848/failing-dvr-hard-drive-please-help/
Relevancy 62.78%

First off i have a Seagate sshd hybrid 2tb.

So if im using applications or playing games etc. i hear a little 2 second noise coming from my hard drive then game will freeze for 20-30 seconds then return and play fine. My mouse still moves just everything is unresponsive.

Like i opened Archeage (MMORPG) i clicked on my character loaded 100% saw scenery then hard drive made a quick weird noise then game stopped for about 30 seconds replaying sound (but i could move the mouse) then it unfroze and could play just fine.

Any thoughts?
Thanks.

A:Hard drive failing?

You might be well served to download Seagate's drive health software tools and check drive.

SeaTools for Windows | Seagate

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/353262-hard-drive-failing.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Hi I m having some issues with a Maxtor DiamondMax HDD It s only about years old and I ve been using it in an external USB case Dynex DX-HDEN if it matters The disk is gb formatted in NTFS and I ve only used it for extra storage Also I m running Windows XP For the past month or so the drive has been making a clicking noise Hard I Failing Drive... Think... on occasion and last week a Failing Hard Drive... I Think... few of the files on the drive became corrupt and I had Failing Hard Drive... I Think... to repair the disc Windows found or bad Failing Hard Drive... I Think... sectors and fixed them Today the drive stopped working altogether I turned it on this morning like I always do and it simply wouldn t read When I tried to open the drive in Windows Explorer I received the message quot Error performing inpage operation quot To ensure that it wasn t the USB case causing the problem I tried removing the drive and putting it in a friend s case but got identical results After a lot of clicking I managed to convince Windows to format the drive I found it strange that this was possible even though information such as the volume label wasn t available and now the drive seems to work fine None of the data on the drive was very important most of it was backed up elsewhere What I m wondering is can I trust this drive Being years old it s just out of warranty so my only options are to keep using the drive and hoping that it won t fail again or to start shopping Any help would be appreciated -Corey nbsp

Relevancy 62.78%

I'm running windows XP and I think my hard drive is dying. About a month ago I got the bluescreen a few times and then had a hard time booting up. I reinstalled windows but still takes a long time booting into windows. I started having my mouse pointer frreezing up within the last 2 weeks quite abit. I do a scandisk daily and a disk cleanup, defrag. I keep my Norton Internet Security updated daily and a scan once daily. My computer is 5 years old with 2 gigs of memory and 120 gig harddrive. I have a Nvidia FX 5500 video card installed. Anyone with possible answers I would appreciate it.

Relevancy 62.78%

Hard drive failed, new drive installed which worked one day. low continuous beep on startup., goes to to start menu only. tests - show no drive. any suggestionjwejcredit 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Hard-drive-keep-failing/td-p/5686718
Relevancy 62.78%

so my win 7 hard drive is failing and i wanted to know which files do i have to copy into my other hard drive so that win. 7 will boot.
THANKS IN ADVANCE
RUBEN

A:win 7 hard drive failing ?

You can't just copy files to a new hard drive to make Windows work again.

You can clone the drive by using some third party software however.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/win-7-hard-drive-failing-852898.html
Relevancy 62.78%

I built a Sandy Bridge and foolishly used a Samsung J Spinpoint TB drive NOw being a first timer I just put it altogether and swircted on gt loaded the OS - Home and began computing However the Samsung has made quite loud clicking scratching noises form the start as it reads writes and after two months this morning is making a loud noise that I can only describe as an out of aligment rubber whell rubbing on the side of the case THis is now loud enough for me to hear outside of failing drive Hard thee room A thrum thrum noise as you get with an old ceiling fan sometimes I have been told that I should have set the drive up when I built the machine - partitioning the drive etc before loading the OS I have since installed two Seagate's - x MB for back up and x TB for storage - it was when I looked in Computer that I saw that the smaller one was listed as having a MB partition which I think I backed up Hard drive failing the OS form the C drive by copy paste and the TB ws not even there - arousing my curiosity as to why it was not listed So I am left feeling a bit of an idiot knowing that I should have researched it a bit more before going in gung ho with drives etc I ma thinking that perhaps my only recourse is to take out the Samsung and make th larger Seagate my OS drive after partitioning and formatting it I have a small USB external drive I have system images on which I am hoping to be able to use to recover some of my photos passwords apps etc - if this is possible even if it is only the important stuff Everything was going fine until now and it is now frozen solid and I think only unplugging it from the main power supply will I be able to shut it down So is there anyone who is good at teaching an idiot that could point me in the right direction

A:Hard drive failing

Samsungs have a good reputation. You just got unlucky, as can happen with any brand.

Not sure what you mean by someone telling you that you should have "set up" the drive before installing the OS. There isn't much to do---just partition and format. You obviously did that or you could never have installed Windows on the drive.

Not sure what you are asking. If the Samsung is broken, get rid of it and go to Plan B, which I guess is to use the 1 TB Seagate as a boot drive. No problem with that.

All you have to do is decide how many partitions you want to put on it. You gotta have at least one. Many on this forum would tell you to use 2: the first for the OS and the second for data. With maybe 75 or 100 GB for the OS partition and the entire remainder for data.

Then decide what you are going to do about backup. The 500 gig Seagate may ultimately be too small for that purpose?

What exactly are your questions??????

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/169035-hard-drive-failing.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Laptop keeps freezing all the time, have ran diagnostics and get Short DST failed. FAILURE ID: M0AELJ-00087R-MFGJMF-60R803Any help please?

Hi, Hard Disk 1 Quick Test Failure, it is necessary to replace the hard drive with a new one(SATA 2.5 inch). Check the manual, page 58 HP ProBook 640 G1, 645 G1, 650 G1, and 655 G1 Notebook PCs - Maintenance and Service Guide

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Hard-drive-failing/td-p/5751446
Relevancy 62.78%

I have a Dell Precision M6400, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T9900 4.00 GB, 32 bit operating system, Windows 7 Professional, service pack 1

I have had problems for the last week of freezing and stalling. Ran update on Trend Micro Antivirus, no results after dealing with very slow start ups yesterday with it being on the windows site for at least an hour booting I ran Malwarebytes and found some maleware, cleaned it. This morning come in to find that it took about another hour to boot, then got the window storage matrix console hard drive fail come up on the computer. Ran a check disk on C drive, shortly after it gave me the blue screen, couldn't write down the failure quick enough. It sounds good as it runs, but something's clearly off - Any help?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/failing-hard-drive.1165805/
Relevancy 62.78%

Hello everyone,

I have an 80GB IDE hard drive in my computer and I think it is on it's way out. When I load the computer it makes a small deep sounding screech. I checked it with speed fan and it says that the fitness is 88%. (See attachment)

Do you think it is time for me to get a new hard drive and clone this one?

A:Failing Hard Drive?

Hard drives usually don't make screeching sounds...clicking sounds maybe so that sounds like a fan or possible a cpu more likely.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/failing-hard-drive.928942/
Relevancy 62.78%

I got my computer upgraded about weeks ago at a local computer shop They replaced my original drive with gigs hard drives or gigs i can t tell to be honest I just know that there were extra failing? Hard drive drives put in gigs Hard drive failing? each So few days ago computer s been freezing and I found out through the system event viewer that there were a bunch of bad blocks on Device Harddisk D which I assume means Hard drive failing? drive C I took it back to the local computer shop yesterday using the warranty and explained to them that I even got the errors on the first day I took it home When I came back to pick it up they said it was probably a virus acting as that message put windows on a new gig hard drive and kept the quot bad quot one in I said Sure ok and yesterday I periodically checked the system event viewer again and sure enough I got the SAME errors except now on Device Harddisk D because the quot bad quot one is now drive D Alright so here s the error I got few days ago and still today The device Device Harddisk D has a bad block and The driver has detected that device Device Harddisk DR has predicted that it will fail Immediately back up your data and replace your hard disk drive A failure may be imminent Is it quite clear now that the drive is failing I don t want to go back there again to be corrected then see those messages again They told me if it was failing I wouldn t even be able to boot the computer up I m using the computer right now to type this message nbsp

Relevancy 62.78%

not sure, never had one fail on me yet, but all the sudden, extreme slowness on a 2 year old 1.6 GHZ 256 Mb, 40 gig HD, laptop, no viruses according to AVG and trendmicro's online scanner. Scandisked, and defragged, still getting huge lags then stop errors, then on restarts UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME stop errors, then after a while it boots again. and....SMART diagnostics say it is just fine. also, spyware check by adaware and spybot both turned up just tracking cookies which i deleted, no major changes in software or hardware. thanks for any help.

Relevancy 62.78%

Hello Everyone I have Hard Drive Failing a HP m desktop running Windows Vista Failing Hard Drive that we use for our small companies files Upon booting up displays a message that hard drive failure is imminent and I need to back it up and replace its asap After this message Windows tries to load and fails The system then goes into Windows system restore and recovery mode and is unable to solve the problem I turned the computer off and uninstalled the hard drive and realized that someone has messed with the hard drive before and messed up the SATA connections on the back and the plastic guiding tab was broken off One of the SATA pins was bent and I did my best to delicately straighten it I was able to find the plastic tab in the SATA cable and was able to reseat the cable I then installed the failing hard drive onto another desktop as the slave drive The backup desktop is running Windows XP and I was going to try and back up the failing hard drive onto a portable one After getting everything installed my computer executed chkdsk upon start up and has been running for the past hour My questions are as follows Roughly how long does chkdsk take and will chkdsk run on both the connected drives What problems will I most likely incur after chkdsk has finished Will I be able to back up the failed hard drive with it configured as a slave drive What other option do I have available to recover files and back up the failing hard drive nbsp

A:Failing Hard Drive

Hard drive is failing, you're running chkdsk, and have no backup of it yet? Dude, you're brave.

'Clone' the failing HDD, ASAP.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/failing-hard-drive.194773/
Relevancy 62.78%

Okay so I came in this morning and my desktop is at a boot screen I don t know why it restarded and there is a message that says S M A R T has detected that my hard drive is say drive S.M.A.R.T. hard failing may be failing I F d to continue and all seems well but now it has me worried because I have S.M.A.R.T. say hard drive is failing a lot of on this computer and it runs great the way I have it so I don t want to mess with a reformat and resetup S.M.A.R.T. say hard drive is failing of all my settings software etc What should I do I did a scan disk S.M.A.R.T. say hard drive is failing and everything checked out fine Is this S M A R T thing in the bios reliable The hard drive is a seagate GB that is less than two years old I have regular back-ups and I also have most of my important data on a USB RAID box with two seperate hard drives in it If I make an exact copy of this hard drive OS and all on a new drive and install that drive in the same system will I run into any problems I m thinking while it s still working I should just slap another drive in as a slave copy all the info from the master to the new slave then remove the old drive and set the new drive up as the master What do ya ll think Am I just being paranoid nbsp

Relevancy 62.78%

I'm trying to help a friend "speed up" his Dell Inspiron 1200 laptop, did all of the usual things software-wise, no apparent malware. It takes a long time to boot and performs sub-par generally. So the last thing before punting and doing a format/reinstall was I'm running a checkdisk, which is listing a long line of "windows repaired bad cluster..." entries. Is the hard drive failing?

Thank you for your help.

takes a long time to boot? try cleaning unnessery files such as temporary files. best software for that should be CCleaner which is free, also try defraging. use perfectdisk trial version its the best disk defragment utility that I'm aware of and you can download the trial version which has 30 days. just analyze the drive with that program and it'll tell you the necessary course of action. just follow its instruction and it should help with boottime and maybe some glitches. also try to disable as many startup programs as you can. be advised that a laptop hdd runs at about 5400rpm. compared to a desktop hdd which is usualy 7200 or 10000 rpm so don't expect the same results.

Edit:

Ccleaner: http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/
PerfectDisk: http://www.perfectdisk.com/products/downloadit/pd_download_home.cfm

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-failing.677342/
Relevancy 62.78%

Recently I have gotten the message Winodws detected a hard disk problem Back up your files imm to prevent loss and then contact the comp manufacture to determine if u have to repair or replace Hard Drive Failing the disk What I have done is create a disc image on an external Hard Drive Failing HD and also d l and created Gateway Recovery Disc lt discs gt and the Gateway Hard Drive Failing apps and drivers disc Where I am confused is whe the drive finally goes and I install a new HD how do I use the image and discs I have to enable the new drive to be able to boot up into Windows which I think would be there by virtue of what I have collected lt image recovery discs gt The question I have is what would be the correct sequence of getting the OS and all the files needed to enable the drive to work correctly I am sorry if I am not explaining this correctly but maybe someone can give me nformation on how to do this Thanks in advance

A:Hard Drive Failing

If you used the built-in Win 7 program to create your system image, you should use the built-in program to create a repair disk. You can boot from the repair disk to restore the system image you created.

You actually don't need the Gateway Recovery discs, if you use them to recover your system it will be restored back to the way it was when it left the factory. The system image will restore your system back to the way it was the day you made the image.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/381434-hard-drive-failing.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Hi there I have a hp pavillion dv1000 laptop with windows xp that seems to have a failing hard drive. I run chkdsk and it freezes on step 5 at 56%. I then ran the bios diagnostics and it comes back saying test status 2- 07 fail. For a 3rd test I downloaded HDtune I included a snapshot of the results. I assume I need to replace the drive right?

A:Hard Drive failing?

Yup, all three point to a faulty drive. You can get a replacement 160GB drive for $35 or for $40 you can move up to a 250GB drive with a faster spin rate of 7200 RPM and a larger 16MB cache: http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=380&name=Laptop-Hard-Drives

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-failing.1009481/