Windows Support Forum

Solved: External Harddrive not in "My Computer"

Q: Solved: External Harddrive not in "My Computer"

! accedently did a factoyry reset on my delll laptop whick is lika a reformat wich my external harddrive plugged in. Now it doesnt show up in my computer but its in my hardare windows in the control panel and it also appears in the safe remove thing at the bottom. It's name has change to "WD".
is there anyway of getting the files back and how much do you think it would cost to get them back ?

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Solved: External Harddrive not in "My Computer"

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Solved: External Harddrive not in "My Computer"

How was this solved?

You have double-posted. Please post one thread for one problem.

http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/...top-external-harddrive-still.html#post6406749

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-external-harddrive-not-in-my-computer.788972/
Relevancy 96.32%

The hard drive is a Western Digital 320 GB that I've had plugged into this computer before (and worked). Then i got a virus and had to do a recovery of windows.

Ever since then I can't get windows to recognize/show it in my computer. I just "disabled" and "enabled" it in device manager to no effect. I have a C, D, and E drive which are: two partitions on the hard drive, and then the CD drive (respectively).

So i'm stuck, not sure where to proceed since it's obviously not the hard drive itself, I use it on my xbox all the time. What next?

A:External Hard Drive doesn't show up in "my computer" but does in "device manager"

Does it show in Disk Management ? ?
Right clik My Computer...select Manage...then Disk Management.
Find the drive...right clik it and select Properties.
Report back with your findings.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/276295-external-hard-drive-doesnt-show-up-my-computer-but-does-device-manager.html
Relevancy 95.03%

I double-click and get "search" instead of "open"--only when I click a disk, like Hard Drive C: or Floppy A: or CD F: and so on.

It didn't used to do this, so I must've inadvertently changed some setting somewhere, but darned if I can find it now.

Any ideas?

A:Solved: On the "my computer" list, I double-click on disks and get "search" instead of "open"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-on-the-my-computer-list-i-double-click-on-disks-and-get-search-instead-of-open.407035/
Relevancy 95.03%

Ok so im new here so hey everybody to the point my laptop is quot stuttering quot lagging skipping whatever you wanna call it its doing it my video music and cursor skip every second for a splt second it starts on start-up and dont stop til i turn my laptop off it happens in a pattern its not random ive done checked my drivers spyware and m RAM is good so can someone please help me could it be because my battery wont hold a charger so it has to be hooked up to the charger at ALL times or it dies Example is the charger not got the quot juice quot to run the laptop by itself so it studders skips i dont know if this has report viewer "studders"/"skips"/"lags" Whole Solved: (PLEASE computer .. event have anything to do with my problem but i ran quot event viewer quot and found this The following boot-start or system-start driver s failed to load Cdrom Imapi redbook PLEASE HELP OS Version Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack bit Processor Genuine Intel R CPU Solved: Whole computer "studders"/"skips"/"lags" .. have event viewer report (PLEASE T GHz x Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card Mobile Intel R GM Express Chipset Family Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB D Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard Dell Inc FF HWPLLB CN S Antivirus McAfee VirusScan Updated Yes On-Demand Scanner Disable nbsp

A:Solved: Whole computer "studders"/"skips"/"lags" .. have event viewer report (PLEASE

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-whole-computer-studders-skips-lags-have-event-viewer-report-please.981934/
Relevancy 95.03%

I'm running Windows Vista and I am trying to run a seagate external harddrive. The device manager says its working properly, the drivers are up to date, etc. but when I go into my computer it is not showing up. The harddrive is unformatted- I use it on both Macs and PCs.

A:External Harddrive "Working Properly" but not in browser

If the hard drive is unformatted, then it wouldn't show up in my computer. You need to format the hard drive. Right click my computer and go to manage. In the Management console go to disk management and format your hard drive. If you say you use it on both macs and pcs, then it is formatted and you can try to assign it a drive letter. If it's formatted for Mac, you'll need to install MacDrive or something similar to access the files.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/236282-external-harddrive-working-properly-but-not-browser.html
Relevancy 94.17%

A couple days ago I downloaded an album to my external harddrive off a bands website about External Dirty" "Volume is Harddrive halfway through the download it started stopping and telling me it couldn't download because the volume was dirty I was able to continue the download but it would stop again after a few seconds External Harddrive "Volume is Dirty" Since it was a torrent I External Harddrive "Volume is Dirty" was able to relocate the album to download to my main harddrive and it worked Although now on my external harddrive I have a half - completed file that I can't delete and if I try to move it anywhere it says quot Error x AC The operation could not be complete because the volume is dirty Please run chkdsk and try again quot I went to command prompt and typed quot chkdsk E quot it said -- C Users G gt chkdsk E The type of the file system is exFAT The volume is in use by another process Chkdsk might report errors when no corruption is present Volume Serial Number is EE-F Windows is verifying files and folders Volume label is Seagate File and folder verification is complete Windows has checked the file system and found no problems KB total disk space KB in files KB in indexes KB in bad sectors KB in use by the system KB available on disk bytes in each allocation unit total allocation units on disk allocation units available on disk C Users G gt

Relevancy 92.02%

First posting - hi everyone - I've had trouble installing the software for a Maxtor USB 2.0 external harddrive. I used the CD that came with the drive, completed the install, but it doesn't work on my computer, which otherwise works fine. I get a Microsoft error. Tried uninstalling/reinstalling, same cycle several times. When I tried to install on a different laptop , everything worked fine. Called Maxtor, they say it is an operating system error. Downloaded updates to Windows XP home edition, but no help. The software installs, but does not "work" - it returns me to the installation program. Help!

A:"Installing" External Harddrive

Did you format the hard drive ?
Or make it online from admin tools?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/installing-external-harddrive.603593/
Relevancy 92.02%

The 2.5" would take up less space on my desk but I'd go with the 3.5" if it stays cooler & lasts longer.
Either way it's going to be 7200 RPM with USB 3.0 and eSata. Does it really matter?

Wonder how long until MS updates USB 2.0 to 3.0 like they did with 1.1 to 2.0?
I just googled it and passing that info on. They will never have update from 2.0 - 3.0. To begin with, the 3.0 connectors are blue.
We'll be able to to plug any USB male into the computer USB 3.0 port but not vice versa. There is no way you will be able to plug a 3.0 connector into your peripheal device.

A:External Harddrive 2.5" vs 3.5" lifespan

USB is a hardware protocol and has nothing to do with Microsoft. Whatever USB 3.0 controller you have in your computer should have drivers for whatever version of Windows you're running.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-harddrive-2-5-vs-3-5-lifespan.1046579/
Relevancy 91.16%

So here s my problem My External HDD is a GB Western Digital quot My Passport Essential quot Portable Hard Drive It appears on My Computer before with no problem but after my computer had a stop error which was fixed by repairing my Windows XP and I tried plugging it in it no longer appears on quot My Computer quot It could be recognized though since I could open the drive drive E at the moment and access open the files It also appears on quot Disk Management quot with this info My Passport E GB FAT Healthy Active It just doesn t appear on quot My Computer quot or on the explorer s drop down menu as a drive I ve read changing the drive letter might solve the problem But when I tried changing the drive letter to F a message appears that says something like quot changing the drive letter might cause some programs not to run quot What does it mean Is it safe to just click quot Ok quot Also could I just choose any letter The HDD is the only thing plugged on the USB port External HDD Show On Doesn't "My Up Solved: Computer" at the moment nbsp

Relevancy 90.3%

I recently connected an external HD to my Windows 7 Pro OS, running through Parallels Desktop on my iMac Quad Core (OS 10.8.6). [See info below.]

The drive was was formatted and used on the Mac OS.

Connected to the Windows side, the external drive shows up in the Printers and Devices listing, but not as one of the drives listed for "My Computer."

I'm imagining the drive needs to be reformatted for Windows, but I don't see any way to do that.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500S CPU @ 2.70GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
Processor Count: 1
RAM: 2815 Mb
Graphics Card: Parallels Display Adapter (WDDM), 256 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 65539 MB, Free - 33968 MB;
Motherboard: Parallels Software International Inc., Parallels Virtual Platform
Antivirus: Norton AntiVirus, Updated and Enabled

A:Solved: External HD not showing in "My Computer"

Microsoft refuses to recognize formatting other than NTFS and FAT... .

Does the drive appear in Disk Management? If so, you may be able to format it there.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-external-hd-not-showing-in-my-computer.1067856/
Relevancy 90.3%

In Windows XP, fully updated, I have several folders full of mp3's and want to see the bit rate and duration. I right click on a column heading and select "Bit rate". I then click on "More..." so I can get to "Duration", and I select that one too.

But all the figures in the "Duration" column appear to be in "hours" and "minutes", so I see "00:04" or "00:03", but what I want is "minutes" and "seconds".

Any thoughts as to how to change this?

A:Solved: Windows Explorer "Duration" Column - no "Seconds", just "Hours" and "Minutes"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-explorer-duration-column-no-seconds-just-hours-and-minutes.693037/
Relevancy 85.57%

Ok so im new here so hey everybody to the point my laptop is quot stuttering quot lagging skipping whatever you wanna call it its doing it my video music report (PLEASE event have HELP) Whole .. viewer "studders"/"skips"/"lags" computer and cursor skip every second for a splt second it starts on start-up and dont stop til i turn my laptop off it happens in a pattern its not random ive done checked my Whole computer "studders"/"skips"/"lags" .. have event viewer report (PLEASE HELP) drivers spyware and m RAM is good so can someone please help me could it be because my battery wont hold a charger so it has to be hooked up to the charger at ALL times or it dies Example is the charger not got the quot juice quot to run the laptop by itself so it studders skips i dont know if this has anything to do with my problem but i ran quot event viewer quot and found this The following boot-start or system-start driver s failed to load Cdrom Imapi redbook PLEASE HELP nbsp

A:Whole computer "studders"/"skips"/"lags" .. have event viewer report (PLEASE HELP)

**(DONT KNOW IF THIS WILL HELP..)***

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
Processor: Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2250 @ 1.73GHz, x86 Family 6 Model 14 Stepping 8
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 502 Mb
Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 945GM Express Chipset Family, 224 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 39723 MB, Free - 23484 MB; D: Total - 12684 MB, Free - 3633 MB;

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/whole-computer-studders-skips-lags-have-event-viewer-report-please-help.981932/
Relevancy 84.71%

When attempting to browse folders using Explorer opened from Start Menu Or left click on start button Explorer will allow click on quot - quot to close paths Solved: does Computer" "File hangs, "My Explorer" not? but hangs with hour glass if any attempt is made to expand any path or open any file Explorer remains in this state until Solved: "File Explorer" hangs, "My Computer" does not? closed at which time Windows asks if I wish to report the problem to Microsoft If I use the quot My Computer quot icon on the desktop to browse all actions including access to networked resources work perfectly Can anyone please explain the difference between the two file browsing utilities and offer an explanation of Solved: "File Explorer" hangs, "My Computer" does not? the above My system is AMD GB Ram Xp Pro with all service packs and updates I am on a wired network with fixed IP addresses Other network components are Old Dual P with GB Ram running Windows Explorer on this machine has no problems including access to networked resources Buffalo TB Link Station Wire ADSL router and HP LaserJet printer nbsp

Relevancy 83.85%

Hi guys I'm new here EXTERNAL WD HARD suddenly "not "unallocated" initialized" 1TB DISK and I've tried to read all the discussion about how to fix the unallocated hard drive but I just can't understand it as the cases were pretty much different than I'm WD EXTERNAL HARD DISK 1TB suddenly "unallocated" and "not initialized" facing of Here's my problem WD EXTERNAL HARD DISK 1TB suddenly "unallocated" and "not initialized" Yesterday my external hard drive seems normal everything is fine until there's a blackout and I have to put quot sleep quot to my laptop After the power got back the hard drive suddenly gone and when I check the list of drives under quot Disk Management quot it showed up as quot Disk - Unallocated quot I've attached screenshots here for your viewing My external hard drive is WD My Passport TB It contains a lot of valuable data I cannot afford to lose I really hope there's a way to fix this and once I get back all of those precious data I will buy another HD to transfer them ASAP because I cant let this happen to me again Your help is so very much appreciated Any questions regarding my problem let me know I'll provide all of the details you guys need NOTE I've tried TestDisk but on the quot Analyse quot process it says quot read error quot I've changed cable but the situation remains the same I've tried Recuva but it doesnt recognize my external drive

A:WD EXTERNAL HARD DISK 1TB suddenly "unallocated" and "not initialized"

Hi!

First don't mess up with the WD drive settings.. download partition wizard 7 (its free)..then .. open it ..click wizard(menu) .. select partition recovery wizard.. and it will find the partitions on it i think.. that way you can recover your partition that has been lost.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/334178-wd-external-hard-disk-1tb-suddenly-unallocated-not-initialized.html
Relevancy 83.85%

With EaseUS Backup Tool, I've cloned these two partitions ("System Reserved" and "C") to same-sized partitions on a external HDD ("X" and "Y"). Picture tells it concisely:
How to make drives "X" and "Y" boot-able?

In "Disk Management", I've noticed these partition labels missing:"X" (or "System Reserved") is missing System label,
"Y" (or "OS") is missing Boot, Page File and Crash Dump labels

Thank you!

A:Both "System reserved" and "C" partition cloned to external HDD: boot?

You cannot boot Win7 on external HD, unless it is connected via eSATA.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/220584-both-system-reserved-c-partition-cloned-external-hdd-boot.html
Relevancy 83.42%

Hello I have a Western Digital quot Enhanced IDE quot drive I borrowed a usb to ide adaptor I do Internal to "Enhanced inch "Enhanced 3.5 Solved: IDE" external IDE" not know the manufacturer and the driver cd in the package is for a usb card reader and both of my computers say they know what the device is USB TO IDE then USB Mass storage device but they cannot install the drivers My first computer Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Home Premium bit Processor AMD Athlon tm II P Dual-Core Processor AMD Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card AMD M G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB D Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard Hewlett-Packard P X Z ZL MU Antivirus avast antivirus Updated and Enabled My second computer is a Windows XP and i do not have time to download the quot TSG SysInfo quot on it Please help nbsp

A:Solved: Internal 3.5 inch "Enhanced IDE" to external "Enhanced IDE"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-internal-3-5-inch-enhanced-ide-to-external-enhanced-ide.982248/
Relevancy 83.42%

This is part of an ongoing problem for me.

After having no success doing it manually, I have decided to purchase this program
Paragon Migrate to help me move everything onto my shiny new SSD...

Now my problem is that my Win7 Laptop will not recognise the SSD (I have it plugged into an external enclosure). Very strange as I can access it perfectly fine from my old Win XP machine upstairs..

Question being - Is there a reason that windows 7 won't recognise this drive? and what can I do to solve the problem?

It's a pain in the ass because I thought that buying that software would be the end to my ongoing upgrade issues.

Thanks in advance.

Shane

A:Problem detecting 2.5" external SSD harddrive

Will the HD show in BIOS?

Take a look at this Tutorial:
SSD - Install and Transfer the Operating System
SSD Tweaks and Optimizations in Windows 7
SSD / HDD : Optimize for Windows Reinstallation

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/169889-problem-detecting-2-5-external-ssd-harddrive.html
Relevancy 82.99%

ok!!!!!!!!!! what is it and how do i fix it,,,, eyes crossed knees woobly help?????????????????????

A:[Solved] mplay32.exe,1"/play/close"%L"." and sndrec32.exe"%L"."

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-mplay32-exe-1-play-close-l-and-sndrec32-exe-l.197498/
Relevancy 82.56%

I thought I was computer savvy until this problem came up When I double click my computer recycle bin control panel etc the hourglass comes up for a few seconds goes off and nothing else No error messages or anything just nothing I have viewed a few of the threads covering this and a common link was the hijack this result I have posted that here and really hope that someone can help me with this I have run SpyBotSD and adaware I have run mutiple virus scans I did an SFC and the final thing bin", I "control computer" "my "recycle open cannot panel" etc... was to repair windows using the original disk none of which has help I am running Window XP w SP Any other suggestions would be certainly appreciated Hope to here from someone soon MTCS out Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccSetMgr exe C Program Files Symantec AntiVirus DefWatch exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C PROGRA I cannot open "my computer" "control panel" "recycle bin", etc... TDSTEL ENTERN app pppoeservice exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Symantec AntiVirus Rtvscan exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccEvtMgr exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS system wuauclt I cannot open "my computer" "control panel" "recycle bin", etc... exe C Program Files Hewlett-Packard Toolbox Apache Tomcat webapps Toolbox StatusClient StatusClient exe C Program Files ScanSoft OmniPageSE OpwareSE exe C PROGRA SYMANT VPTray exe C WINDOWS BCMSMMSG exe C Program Files Adobe Photoshop Album I cannot open "my computer" "control panel" "recycle bin", etc... Starter Edition Apps apdproxy exe C Program Files HP HP Software Update HPWuSchd exe C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe C PROGRA DEFEND DEFEND PopUpKiller exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe C Program Files Hewlett-Packard Toolbox Javasoft JRE bin javaw exe C Documents and Settings Charlotte Hough Desktop HijackThis exe O - BHO HP Print Enhancer - C E- - -BF - C - C Program Files HP Smart Web Printing hpswp printenhancer dll O - BHO HP Print Clips - F -DC - -A C- F D C - C Program Files HP Smart Web Printing hpswp framework dll O - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO RealPlayer Download and Record Plugin for Internet Explorer - C E -B - BC - - C CA - C Program Files Real RealPlayer rpbrowserrecordplugin dll O - BHO IE PopUp-Killer Neikeisoft - E E F - C - D - D- - C PROGRA DEFEND DEFEND PopUp dll O - BHO no name - - F - D - - D F - C Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy SDHelper dll O - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - Toolbar Yahoo Toolbar - EF BD -C FB- D - F- D F - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn yt dll O - HKLM Run StatusClient C Program Files Hewlett-Packard Toolbox Apache Tomcat webapps Toolbox StatusClient StatusClient exe auto O - HKLM Run TomcatStartup C Program Files Hewlett-Packard Toolbox hpbpsttp exe O - HKLM Run OpwareSE quot C Program Files ScanSoft OmniPageSE OpwareSE exe quot O - HKLM Run REGSHAVE C Program Files REGSHAVE REGSHAVE EXE AUTORUN O - HKLM Run vptray C PROGRA SYMANT VPTray exe O - HKLM Run BCMSMMSG BCMSMMSG exe O - HKLM Run Adobe Photo Downloader quot C Program Files Adobe Photoshop Album Starter Edition Apps apdproxy exe quot O - HKLM Run HP Software Update C Program Files HP HP Software Update HPWuSchd exe O - HKLM Run TkBellExe quot C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe quot -osboot O - HKCU Run SpybotSD TeaTimer C Program Files Spybot - Search amp... Read more

A:I cannot open "my computer" "control panel" "recycle bin", etc...

You may want to reinstall the operating system.

Backupthe files that are importantto you before you reinstall.

The "New" installation will overwrite the current one

If you do not format your hard drive before the reinstall the installation should not harm your files (That's why I suggest backingup your files) and will speed up the installation process.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-cannot-open-my-computer-control-panel-recycle-bin-etc.717788/
Relevancy 82.56%

Ok, so basically, whenever I turn the computer on, 3 error messages appear:

- A virtual driver failed to inicialize DLL. Chose close to end the program. H:/Windows/system32/code/pRee.exe

- A virtual driver failed to inicialize DLL. Chose close to end the program. H:/Windows/system32/code/pRee1.exe

- Error loading H:/Archiv~/GBPLUG~/gbiehcef.dll. Couldn't find specific module.

(sorry if some terms are incorrect, my computer is in Spanish, to I tried to translate as best as possible)

Please help me solve this terrible problem, it is really getting me on my nerves! (oh, and if this helps, I've recently donwloaded this so called "Limewire acceleration", and whenever I ran the setup, it didn't work. I don't really remember the name of the website I downloaded it from, sorry...)

A:Can't Open "My Documents", "Trash" or other files in "My Computer"!?

Hi and Welcome to the forum

I am almost certain that you have malware problems. Most like caused by you doing file sharing/ P2P - Limewire.

Suggest that you go here and follow the directions:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/secu...oval-help.html

Please be advised that the malware people are very busy and it could take a couple days to assist you.

BG

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cant-open-my-documents-trash-or-other-files-in-my-computer-288056.html
Relevancy 82.56%

Something funky is going on, I cant find my "c" drive that normally would be listed in My Computer.

Any way that I can find it. It doesnt show up in "Windows Explorer" either.
From what I can tell, neither is it 'hidden', as administrator of the computer (I have 3 logins on Windows XP), all hidden files are showing when I log in.

H.....E.....L.....P !!!

LexxieGirl

A:Solved: "C" drive missing in "My Computer"

The 'C' drive is still missing from 'my computer'
I am able to access it by typing c:/ in the address bar
but there are hidden files somewhere
where can I 'un-hide' them and
where do I look?

simple but confusing stuff
time to get a computer for the kids so that they dont screw up mine!!

Lexxie

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-c-drive-missing-in-my-computer.341195/
Relevancy 82.13%

I have four external usb drives All seem to have disappeared at the same time I checked one of them on another computer and it's fine There's no error in the device manager except from External drives explorer USB2 window computer the "disappeared" it said that the device on one port had failed I disabled that but left it plugged in because I don't know how to tell which physical port corresponds to the info show by Windows Rebooting doesn't help External USB2 drives "disappeared" from the computer explorer window The usb bus appears ok because it will charge my ipod although if I plug in a thumb drive that's not seen by windows either The only thing new I did before noticing this is I was trying out cleanmgr I from the cmd window as administrator and I ran cleanmgr setup hoping there would be a screen saying what it does There was not and there was no visual response to running it There's lots of advice on the net about External USB2 drives "disappeared" from the computer explorer window usb drives disappearing from windows but I don't want to start trying a whole bunch of things without really understanding what they do I'm hoping this is something simple Any help appreciated Thank you -Ron More info I just found the External USB2 drives "disappeared" from the computer explorer window following message for all four of the quot Generic Volume quot lines in the Storage Volumes section of the device manager quot A driver service for this device has been disabled An alternate driver may be providing this functionality Code quot How would I fix this

A:External USB2 drives "disappeared" from the computer explorer window

Open Device Manager, right click any of the Generic Volumes->Properties->Details tab. Use the pull down menu and look if Class Upper Filters or Class Lower Filters exist. If yes, copy paste the values into next post

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/343851-external-usb2-drives-disappeared-computer-explorer-window.html
Relevancy 82.13%

I recently bought a Western Digital firewire/USB 2.0 combo drive for my Dell laptop running Windows XP Home edition. It worked fine once. When I went to use it again it would not register in "My Computer." It is recognized in device manager and no conflicts appear. There are no new/rolled back drivers available. In Disk Management in Console it appears but shows a large portion of unallocated space. Uninstalling and reinstalling does not work.

Could there be a corrupt Windows file? Does anyone have any suggestions?

A:external hard drive not recognized in Windows XP "My Computer"

If it shows unallocated space (how much?), then the drive should be partitioned and the partitions formatted.

What sizes are we talking about? Unallocated space will not appear in My Computer, but only partitions that are formatted and ready to use.

If you have TweakUI or other tweakers, be sure that the drive is not hidden from My Computer.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-not-recognized-in-windows-xp-my-computer.213264/
Relevancy 82.13%

I recently purchased a TB External HDD for work and I cannot access it media" HDD, 7 "no External will computer ryecognize Windows Samsung not through quot My Computer quot Following is the situation - Plugged in the SATA and recognized drive and downloaded most current drivers - Recognized by computer in quot Disk Management quot as the device is running properly - Attempted changing the drive letter with no resolution I tried every letter change from F to Z - Recognized in the quot Disk Management quot window but has printed below it quot No Media quot - Attempted USB Clean Up but this didn t resolve the problem - Tried on a different Windows computer with the same issue - Trouble shot all of the cables and USB ports with no resolution - Tried several different configurations for plugging unplugging restarting etc with no resolution - Installed and ran most recent Windows Update - Went to product website with no resolution Please if you have any suggestions or recommendations please help Windows 7 Samsung computer will not ryecognize External HDD, "no media" I do need this very much for Windows 7 Samsung computer will not ryecognize External HDD, "no media" work nbsp

A:Windows 7 Samsung computer will not ryecognize External HDD, "no media"

What Manufacturer and Model is the HDD? Also, on Windows 7, I believe the max partition size a computer can recognize is 1TB, so a suggestions is using Disk Management, seperate it into separate partitions of 750 gb or so, then just link them in a RAID configuration. This will allow Windows 7 to recognize it as a single drive, but will also allowed you to use the full 3TB of space.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-7-samsung-computer-will-not-ryecognize-external-hdd-no-media.192310/
Relevancy 82.13%

I reimaged my computer because I was having a whole bunch of trubble with it (no of which really matter now). After reimaging I tried to access some of the files I saved on my external hard drive, but no matter what I tried I could not get access to the files.

The drive appears in device Manager and in the USB Device pages, and I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drive. But for some reason I just can't access the device. If anyone knows how to fix this problem, or even how to manually launch the external hard drive, I would be extremely greatful. If you need more info. let me know.

Thanks

A:Seagate FA GoFlex Desk external hardrive doesn't show in "My Computer"

Have you checked in the drive management console to make sure it's not just that it needs to be 'activated' or assigned a drive letter again?

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/198992-seagate-fa-goflex-desk-external-hardrive-doesnt-show-my-computer.html
Relevancy 81.7%

I recently updated to Windows 10 anniversary and now I can't find my Western Digital external hard drive in My computer. The PC recognizes it as:
click here in Disk management it's recognized as:
click here not empty and has data inside it. Only after the anniversary update this problem happened and shows it empty in the Disk management. When I right-click on the external hard drive in the "volume" section; all options are grayed out except for "Help"
Is there any idea how to solve this?
and
It's

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forum/helproom-1/cant-find-external-hard-drive-quotmy-computerquot-4600410/
Relevancy 81.7%

I have recently re-installed Windows XP which consequently reformat my hard disk. When I plug in my external hard disk USB (which was working fine prior formatting the PC), it does not shows up in 'My Computer'.

When checking Device Manager, the device is working properly. I have verified on Disk Management, the external hard disk is there but with no Drive letters and paths, it mention "unallocated". It does not allow me to give it a drive letter.

During the re-installation on Windows, the external HD was connected to My PC.

The external HD is an Apollo 2.5" portable hard drive 250GB.

On the "USB device properties", under volume tab, the partition style is: Master Boot Record, capacity:238,473 MB, Unallocated space: 238,473 MB, Reserved space: 0 MB and status: Online

Can anyone help me on the above issue. I have some important data on it. Has the disk been erased?

A:My external hard drive does not show up in "My Computer"

Did you install all of your motherboard drivers, chipset, LAN, sound, graphics, etc. after installing Windows?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-external-hard-drive-does-not-show-up-in-my-computer.150186/
Relevancy 81.7%

When I plug any hard drive or memory stick into either USB port on my Dell XP computer the default E drive letter and device does not appear in the showing in USB letter using "My drives Computer" not E: External quot My Computer quot window I can see it when I access the administrative tool for storage devices and access it there also If I change the drive letter to any other letter all works fine and the drive is forever denoted with whatever drive letter I have External USB drives using letter E: not showing in "My Computer" assigned The problem is that the E is External USB drives using letter E: not showing in "My Computer" always the default and therefore any new device requires a manual letter assignment in order to make it operate I think External USB drives using letter E: not showing in "My Computer" the problem began when I was downloading a large set of files from a friend's external hard drive It all went okay until one of the files hung up the system due to some sort of fault in the file I waited a long time for the computer to resolve the problem but nothing happened Instead of trying the Task Manager to stop the process I forced a shutdown with the on off button I have tried uninstalling the USB driver and also uninstalling various drives All the drives work fine in my other computers My friend's drive worked okay after I re-booted and I was able to complete the upload The problem seemed to start after I got a blue screen when performing another boot-up the next day I shut down from the blue screen it just said there was a serious error without defining it and restarted normally and all - except the drive letter issue - worked fine I would appreciate any assistance

A:External USB drives using letter E: not showing in "My Computer"

Hi Toucan,

Welcome to Seven Forums.

OK, it looks like some program you had installed had disabled the automount and always looks for and assigns a drive letter to the pen drive. (my guess). This in most cases can be corrected by entering into the program settings and making the necessary changes.

Can you recollect any such program that looks for a drive?

What programs/games did you install recently?

What are those "large set of files" you downloaded?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/322842-external-usb-drives-using-letter-e-not-showing-my-computer.html
Relevancy 81.7%

Am trying to get an external hard drive up and running!
When connected (via USB) it is recognised by Belarc Advisor, but does not appear in "My Computer" and hence is not usable - can anyone help?
Thanks, Guys.

A:"My Computer" doesn't see external hard drive

You need to format the drive before you can use it.
Go to start> run and type diskmgmt.msc and hit enter.
Right click on the drive and create an extended partition in the unallocated space.
Now create a logical drive in the new partition and format with ntfs.
Once completed you can use the drive

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-computer-doesnt-see-external-hard-drive.556399/
Relevancy 81.27%

My external Seagate drive is apparently "dirty" and windows automatically checks it every time i boot up with it attached to the usb port. It is actually pretty annoying. The only way around it that I found is actually unplugging it before I boot up and plugging it back in after windows starts.

Every time the check says there are no issues. The drive works fine and I am able to use the drive as if nothing is wrong.

Does anyone know whow to get rid of the check during Windows startup? How can I make my drive "clean" again? Thanks

EDIT: I have Windows XP sp3 btw

A:External hard drive is "dirty" and windows runs a check every time computer boots up

You may need to run a manual chkdsk /f to clear it. Try this
> Unplug the drive then boot up then plug it back in. Determine its drive letter
> Start->Run, enter cmd to open a command prompt
> Enter chkdsk x: /f (except use the correct drive letter, not x)

/f option may take loong time complete (especially if large hard drive.. i.e hours) but when it's done i believe it should clear the dirty bit for you

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-is-dirty-and-windows-runs-a-check-every-time-computer-boots-up.156426/
Relevancy 80.84%

Hello, I just plugged my external hard drive into my computer, and it is not showing under my computer. If I go to Device Manager it is seen there, it has the most up to date driver etc. I rebooted, thinking that may be the issue, but even after a reboot My Computer still does not see the external hard drive.

I have used it several times before for external storage and even transferred files from the device to pc and vice versa, but now it is not showing. Can someone help?!

Relevancy 80.84%

A friend wanted me to ask this question... And quite honestly... I think this is pretty weird... But... When we insert the usb cable from the drive into a usb port in my computer or any other computer... And then turn the drive on... Everything just freezes... and the drive doesn't load... And it has really important data on it... Any advice would be much appreciated.

Relevancy 80.84%

I am running Windows XP SP fully updated on an Acer Explorer Column Windows no "Minutes" "Seconds", "Hours" just "Duration" - and lap top PC I have several folders full of mp 's and want to Windows Explorer "Duration" Column - no "Seconds", just "Hours" and "Minutes" see the bit rate and Windows Explorer "Duration" Column - no "Seconds", just "Hours" and "Minutes" duration To Windows Explorer "Duration" Column - no "Seconds", just "Hours" and "Minutes" do this I right click on a column heading and select quot Bit rate quot I then click on quot More quot so I can get to quot Duration quot and I select that one too The two new columns appear but the format of the quot Duration quot column appears to be quot hours minutes quot so I see quot quot or quot quot for most mp 's when what I want to see is 'hours minutes seconds quot e g quot quot This also happens for video files avi files e g all my episodes of quot Heroes quot sad I know have a duration of quot quot instead of quot xx quot Here are two pictures showing the problem with the mp 's The first is of Explorer showing the Duration as quot Hours Minutes quot The second picture is of the properties window of the first mp in the list above I copied some mp files to another old PC on my home network and it displayed the duration field correctly Also the properties window correctly shows the duration also I'm not the only person to have this problem I received a private message from a member of another forum where I posted about this problem several weeks ago That person also has the same problem with the duration field The tech guys on that forum were unable to find the source of the duration field problem But after I had such a great success on this forum with my hard disk problem here I decided to try to get help here Thanks in advance for any suggestions

A:Windows Explorer "Duration" Column - no "Seconds", just "Hours" and "Minutes"

* bump *

Tricky, this one!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-explorer-duration-column-no-seconds-just-hours-and-minutes-253928.html
Relevancy 79.98%

I have three external drives, and every time I boot now, they show up as "found," as if I'd just put in a USB drive.....meaning I have to close them all each and every time. Not a serious issue, just an annoyance I'd like to avoid. How can I set it so that they are not "found" each time?

A:Solved: How do I stop all external drives from being "found" every time I boot?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-how-do-i-stop-all-external-drives-from-being-found-every-time-i-boot.1028085/
Relevancy 79.98%

Ok guys.. I screwed up big time... I was about to create a bootable flash drive with a utility called HPflash and right the moment I pressed the start button I realized that the selected drive wasnt my flash drive.. but my external hard disk with 400 Gigs of Data! I dont know about you guys.. but I had tons of pictures and videos.. (my wedding video too!) And I am going nuts now.. can anyone please give me some hope and tell me I can recover all my files? Do I need to use one of the un-delete software out there? When I click on the hard disk it states that it needs to be formatted.. so apparently it hasnt.. so what happened to it? Can I undo what I did very quickly? thanks!

Relevancy 79.98%

i'm trying to execute a simple C program on geany but it gives me this error:
what am i doing wrong?

this is my system variable - PATH
C:\windows\system32;%CommonProgramFiles%\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common;C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.7.0_05\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\;C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\Cg\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\Cg\bin.x64;C:\Program Files (x86)\GTK2-Runtime\bin;C:\MinGW\bin;C:\MinGW\mingw32\bin

A:Solved: ";/untitled" is not recognized as an internal or external command...

FWIW Windows doesn't use forward slashes, even if they work in some cases.

You haven't provided any details about the files, where it is located etc.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-untitled-is-not-recognized-as-an-internal-or-external-command.1125787/
Relevancy 79.98%

Hi
Windows XP PC is extremely sluggish and makes a loud whirring noise, so bought a Seagate external hard drive. I inadvertantly moved the "my documents" folder on to it and now cannot open the folder without the hard drive plugged in. how do I move it back to its original home? It hasn't exactly stopped the extremely slow way the PC opens any file or even surfing the net. Please help!

A:Solved: accidentally moved "my documents" folder to external hard drive

Restore the My Documents Folder to Its Default Location
To restore the My Documents folder to its default location, follow these steps:
Click Start, and then point to My Documents.
Right-click My Documents, and then click Properties.
Click Restore Default, and then click OK.
In the Move Documents box, click Yes to move your documents to the new location, or click No to leave your documents in the original location.
Let me know if that works.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-accidentally-moved-my-documents-folder-to-external-hard-drive.922858/
Relevancy 79.98%

Product Name and Number HP Pavillion Series BV AA ABA up 82" "Windows to Unable backup files to external to [SOLVED] due Errors drive Operating System Windows [SOLVED] Unable to backup up files to external drive due to "Windows Errors 82" Home Premium Bit Service Pack Error Message Cannot copy file 'C Users hp Music Master File Johnny Hates Jazz - My Secret Garden mp ' to 'J Music Music Backups Johnny Hates Jazz - My Secret Garden mp ffs tmp' Windows Error Code The directory or [SOLVED] Unable to backup up files to external drive due to "Windows Errors 82" file cannot be created Changes Made Before Issue Occurred Some files may have become corrupted due to repeated power failures in which the system was not able to properly start up or shut down before losing power Description I am trying to back up a very large music collection to an external hard drive so that if anything happens to my computer I will have a back up from which to restore it I am using a free program called FreeFileSync to start doing incremental backups of my music collection to the external drive as it grows When I first used it it copied about of files with no problem However for the remaining or so files I was not able to due to quot Windows Error quot Coincidentally I have been getting an error from within iTunes that tells me that the iTunes library file is not able to save and wonder if it may be related to the aforementioned problem Other Concerns I've tried looking around on the internet for an answer to this problem without much luck Some resources suggest using a registry cleaner of which I have tried without any effect Other resources suggest using programs like pc cleaner pro and reimage com of which I assume is meant to fix hard drive problems However just about all the programs I've read about that might work cost money of which I would rather not spend if a free solution exists I'm also concerned that if I paid for one of these type of programs that they may not necessarily even solve my problem and then I'm out of some cash and still stuck with my original problem Question Anyone have any suggestions

A:[SOLVED] Unable to backup up files to external drive due to "Windows Errors 82"

Thjis may be related to an overstuffed temporary files (tmp) folder.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-unable-to-backup-up-files-to-external-drive-due-to-and-quot-windows-errors-82-and-quot-651557.html
Relevancy 79.55%

A few days ago, I installed a game on my external hard drive. At the time, the hard drive was assigned the "F:" directory. They other day, I plugged a video camera into my computer before the external hard drive making the camera "F:" and the hard drive "G:".

The game won't work while the hard drive is assigned to "G:". I've removed the camera, there are no other USB devices plugged in (except my mouse which doesn't have any storage capacity) but still when I plug in the hard drive, it goes back to "G:".

I've tried plugging it into different sockets, logging off the computer, restarting the computer, but still, it goes back to "G:".

Why is this happening and how can I get it back to "F:"?

Thanks.

A:Solved: Can't get external hard drive to be assigned to "F:"

Never mind, I've got it working.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-cant-get-external-hard-drive-to-be-assigned-to-f.915985/
Relevancy 79.55%

Hi everyone, my situation was expressed earlier and now that Western Digital Support (a guy named Danny, that had a very thick accent and supervisor w/ even thicker) has $14.95 of my dollars. I need help!

BRIEFING: Western Digital External Drive can't access, found I'm not the only one. Forum suggested an adapter, but that was for laptops. Did research, sucks to be me is basicaly what I found.
So, I read a hint of making an External's HD into internal hard drive, and placing it in your PC.

<There are many tutorials here and the www to learn how to install, so I won't bother any of you with that.>

QUESTION: The Hard Drive I wish to install is from an external case, it has very important data on it and if I put it into my PC, will I lose the data or can I just browse it like before?

A:Solved: Installing "EXTERNAL'S" Hard Drive...?

providing that the drive itself isn't the part that is bad, then you should be able to acces it as an internal the way you do other drives. This of course depends on the drive itself and your interface. If it is an IDE Drive you would need an open IDE connector in your computer. If Sata then you would need an open sata connection. That being said, you should not lose any data installing it as an internal.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-installing-externals-hard-drive.798780/
Relevancy 79.55%

Made a HUGE mistake, messed with the settings under "My Computer" > "Manage" > "Services> and also the "Local Users". Now having trouble, can not see my "Start and Task Bar", the "windows"+ ''e" is no longer working.

How can I restore the Services & the Local Users account without having to reinstall my whole computer? I am afraid I will loose lots of files... I do not remember what exactly I changed, but some of the "Services" I changed to "disable" now when I try to open properties and change them back, I am unable. The right click to get to properties is not working.

Your help is highly appreciated.

A:How to restore the defaults for "services" under "My Computer" > "Manage>

I am not sure about the "quick" way of restoring, but what you can do is go back to services, "RIGHT-CLICK" the white area select "HELP" then the third option is "Default settings for services"

you can see what the default was and manually restore it. I have tried to copy and paste it below

==========================================================

Service Startup Type Log On As Additional information
Alerter Manual Local Service
Application Layer Gateway Manual Local Service
Application Management Manual Local System
Automatic Updates Automatic Local System
ClipBook Manual Local System
COM+ Event System Manual Local System
COM+ System Application Manual Local System
Computer Browser Automatic Local System
Cryptographic Services Automatic Local System
DHCP Client Automatic Local System
Distributed Link Tracking Client Automatic Local System
Error Reporting Automatic Local System
Event Log Automatic Local System
Help and Support Automatic Local System
IMAPI CD-Burning COM Manual Local System
Internet Connection Sharing Manual Local System
IPSec Services Automatic Local System
Logical Disk Manager Automatic Local System
Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service Manual Local System
MS Software Shadow Copy Provider Manual Local System
Net Logon Automatic Local System
NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing Manual Local System
Network Connections Manual Local System
Network DDE Manual Local System
Network DDE DSDM Manual Local System
Network Location Awareness (NLA) Manual Local System
NT LM Security Support Provider Manual Local System
Performance Logs and Alerts Manual Network Service
Plug and Play Automatic Local System
Portable media serial number Automatic Local System
Print Spooler Automatic Local System
Protected Storage Automatic Local System
QoS RSVP Manual Local System
Remote Access Auto Connection Manager Manual Local System
Remote Access Connection Manager Manual Local System
Remote Desktop Help Session Manager Manual Local System
Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Automatic Local System
Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator Manual Network Service
Remote Registry Automatic Local Service
Removable Storage Manual Local System
Routing and Remote Access Manual Local System
Secondary Logon Automatic Local System
Security Accounts Manager Automatic Local System
Shell Hardware Detection Automatic Local System
Smart Card Manual Local Service
Smart Card Helper Manual Local Service
SSDP Discovery Manual Local Service
System Event Notification Automatic Local System
System Restore Service Automatic Local System
Task Scheduler Automatic Local System
TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper Automatic Local Service
Telephony Manual Local System
Telnet Manual Local System
Terminal Services Manual Local System
Themes Automatic Local System
Uninterruptable Power Supply Manual Local Service
UPnP Device Host Manual Local System
Upload Manager Automatic Local System
Utility Manager Manual Local System
Volume Shadow Copy Manual Local System
WebClient Automatic Local Service
Windows Audio Automatic Local System
Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing Automatic Local System
Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) Manual Local System
Windows Installer Manual Local System
Windows Management Instrumentation Automatic Local System
Windows Time Automatic Local System
Wireless Zero Configuration service Automatic Local System
WMI Performance Adapter Manual Local System
Workstation Automatic Local System

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/how-to-restore-the-defaults-for-services-under-my-computer-manage-367715.html
Relevancy 79.55%

Hi

I need some assistance. Recently bought a Western Digital Elements external hard drive which worked perfectly until now. Both my PC and laptop picks up my drive when I check under devices and printers but not showing it under "My computer" or Windows Explorer.

My drive displays under device manager "Disk drives" and shows that its working properly however, under disk management it shows "Not Initialized". When trying to initialize I get the error message "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error."

This device did not fall or damge in transit as I used it the night before.

Please help!

A:WD External HDD not displaying in "My Computer"

Try shutting down the computer, pull the power cord out, unplug the USB drive, wait a minute then put everything back and try again, most times it works for me unless the drive or the case it's in is failing.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/348290-wd-external-hdd-not-displaying-my-computer.html
Relevancy 79.55%

New external HDD won't show in quot Computer quot l Have searched a lot but only find comments directing me to Disk management and Device manager The Ext HD is not showing New in show won't USB "Computer" external HDD there either Power light is on This is a Lacie TB Minimus USB External Hard Drive http www jr com lacie pe LAC No quot Doorbell quot sound when I plug in or un plug the USB connector The LaC ie troubleshooting page tells me to go to device manager but like l said it's not showing there either Plus it seems to have knocked out several of my USB ports and I had the New USB external HDD won't show in "Computer" warning flag next to several of them in device manager but I was able to get them back by right clicking on each line New USB external HDD won't show in "Computer" one at a time Un installing and right clicking on the heading for the group and selected quot scan for hardware change quot Then in the tray I saw Driver was installed or device is ready something like that All the ports seem to be working now and the yellow flags are gone I did then try the External drive again but it is still not working I also installed desktop manager but it's telling me to plug in my external drive New USB external HDD won't show in "Computer" and then to re start my device And if I start Desktop Manager it says quot No LaCie Desktop compliant device found quot So I have another computer that shares this monitor so I shut this one down and hooked up my usb keyboard and mouse to the other older desktop system running XP and the older computer does recognize this external hard drive It is in My computer on the older XP system computer So I shut that one down and started this one and it does not show up on this computer but then I noticed my keyboard would not work Had to switch the keyboard USB ports to the other front USB port And I had the yellow flags back in device manager again Had to un-install again and let the system re install selecting quot scan for hardware change Any Ideas Hope l have provided enough information Thanks Tony

A:New USB external HDD won't show in "Computer"

For some reason this thing will work in the front 2 ports, and the 2 lower ports on the rear, but not the upper ports on the rear.
I don't know why???????
Yet my Mouse and camera will work on the upper ports.
So it is now showing.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/261145-new-usb-external-hdd-wont-show-computer.html
Relevancy 79.12%

Hi, I have a Seagate internal hard drive installed in an Ultra housing so I am using it as an external drive. I have that connected using USB 2.0. My operating system is Windows XP SP2. I have music and pictures on the external drive and keep it off most of the time. The problem is when ever I turn the hard drive on Windows does an "Autoplay" and scans the complete drive. This is starting to take longer and longer as I add content to the drive. When the scan is complete a window opens with this at the top " This disk or device contains more then one type of content. What do you want Windows to do?" There is no option to never scan, only the option to open programs or files or "do nothing". Is there anyway to turn off the "Autoplay" feature?

Thanks for your help!

Jay

A:Solved: How to turn off "Autoplay" for external HD

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-how-to-turn-off-autoplay-for-external-hd.484100/
Relevancy 79.12%

I ve had this external External USB USB not Solved: "as WD recognized device" hard drive for quite some time It s a GiB Western Digital quot Dual Option Combo External Drive quot http support wdc com product kb asp groupid amp lang en The problem it has is that any computer I hook it to won t recognize it as a USB device Whenever I hook it up it adds the hard drive but when the time comes to eject it there s no remove icon available in the system tray nor is there an Eject command when I right click it on the explorer because Windows does not see Solved: WD External USB not recognized "as USB device" it as a removable device but as a quot permanent quot device I don t know how long ago this happened or even if it was like this from the start It s bugging me a lot because I don t know if I m harming it by forcefully disconnecting the USB every time I stop using it Here s an image of something odd about it Does anybody know what s wrong with it nbsp

Relevancy 79.12%

Thank you for any help I have searched older threads on several forums and did not find a solution yet I was given a custom computer by a friend It has a small partitioned drive I plan to use the computer to edit video so I bought a Toshiba "not advise. External please HDD Solved: accessible" Canvio GB External USB drive for video amp software storage I formated the new Toshiba drive and it was assigned drive letter F on the custom computer I then used Solved: External HDD "not accessible" please advise. another computer of mine Dell Dimension XP Pro to load video amp editing software onto the Toshiba external drive I also used a USB flash drive to load a driver from the Dell to the Custom Computer after doing this the Flash Drive was now listed in My Computer as drive F After putting the Toshiba drive back onto the custom computer it is no longer listed in My Computer or Disc Manager It is listed in Device Manager and Properties says it is working properly with the latest driver I can Enable or Disable the Toshiba drive in Device Manager but I can not open or access the drive I also get the message that quot F drive is not accessible quot I currently have no Card Readers Flash Drives or other Drives on the Custom Computer The Custom Computer does have the Via Raid Tool running - I have not messed with that Specs on the Custom Computer are Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack bit Processor AMD Sempron tm x Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card ATI Radeon HD Series Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB D Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard KT - Antivirus None I am currently dead in the water on this one - any advice would be very much appreciated and I am willing to post any info needed to help with diagnosis Thanks Mike nbsp

Relevancy 78.26%

I have searched to see if this was asked before without any success. Maybe someone has run into this problem before.
When I open "my computer" or "control panel" after I close it...it automatically goes into Internet Explorer as a blank page. Most of the time, when I close the IE blank page...it stops responding and I have the control-alt-delete to "end the program"
Thanks in advance for any help.

A:closing "my computer" or "Control Panel" open internet explorer window

Possibly malware - anything openning ie on its own raises an alarm in my books. Post a HJT log to the malware removal section of the forum and let the experts take a look at it

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/closing-my-computer-or-control-panel-open-internet-explorer-window.658783/
Relevancy 77.83%

I have a big problem here,
I have used my hard disk for 9month,
Yesterday when I watched movie on the half way,
My hard disk suddenly disfuntion,
And I thought my laptop problem due to always lagging so I restart my computer.
But after that I can't read my hard disk (WD)in my computer.
It can read in computer management there.

Ways I try:
1)I try to uninstall and reinstalled again,BUT it doesn't work.
2)I try to unchecked the hide folder and device at view.
3)I try to update the software BUT it still disfunction.
4)I try to use disk management and initialized it BUT there appeared CANNOT INITIALIZED Due to I/O device error.

Any solution for me ?

A:Hard Disk can't read in "my computer ", "initialized",I/O device error

The most usual cause is that the Hard Drive is beginning to fail. Back up your stuff. Go to the website of the manufacturer and test the drive.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/335190-hard-disk-cant-read-my-computer-initialized-i-o-device-error.html
Relevancy 77.83%

Hewlett-Packard HP Pavilion dv Notebook PC Intel R Core TM i CPU RAM GB -bit Operating System It started while Encryption supported by..." "Client not to Side "computer --> failing load" i was browsing anime viewing websites on Firefox Both of which I've used for years Also note AVG's Resident Shield was online and i don't remember going anywhere strange or downloading strange files I had scanned used malwarebytes anti-malware the day before and found nothing Randomly I received a blue screen stating something like quot Client side encryption is not supported by the remote server even though it claims to quot After restarting my computer failed to start normally I think it failed to load the operating system It went to some kind of auto repairing thing to fix itself in order to startup properly But it failed Safe mode same as above Last Known Good Configuration same "Client Side Encryption not supported by..." --> "computer failing to load" as above Bootlogging Debugging Description was it would mention at which startup file it failed to load It loaded files from the top of my screen to almost the middle which is about lt things It failed "Client Side Encryption not supported by..." --> "computer failing to load" and without telling me any new information did the quot same as above quot attempts of system restore One was more than a month ago It would get to the end and quot finish quot restoring for a brief moment then immediately show an error pointing to quot Appdata Roaming Firefox jumble of letters profile session the rest was cut off but i thought i could see half an quot s quot It said it couldn't replace the file chkdsk didnt find any problems So my problem began while using Firefox and I couldn't system restore because of Firefox Is Firefox the problem Unfortunately I'm impatient and I've already reformated What I would like to be told is possible culprits and to be "Client Side Encryption not supported by..." --> "computer failing to load" told I can continue to use Firefox safely like i am right now P S I have to rant This is my second attempt at posting this automatic restart due to updates claimed my first attempt spent mins Even though this is nothing compared to the many hours this particular mechanism has stolen during my college years

A:"Client Side Encryption not supported by..." --> "computer failing to load"

Its the server that you were on, it did not like the encryption that that server was using.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/client-side-encryption-not-supported-by-computer-failing-to-load-580727.html
Relevancy 77.83%

Not a major issue, of course, purely cosmetic, but still a minor annoyance none-the-less:

I have a number of card reader drives that I never use (haven't even removed that plastic cover tape from them to help keep the dust out) that show when viewing the "Computer" window that displays drives. Is there any way to hide specific unused drivers from this view? Not remove drive entirely, of course, I may need to use one in the future, but just to hide them so they aren't visible, until I may chose to make them visible again?

Thanks as always,

Russell

A:Hiding unused "removable storage" devices from "Computer" folder

Hello Russell,

You could check Hide empty drives in the Computer folder in Folder Options to have them stay hidden until you insert a card. When a card is inserted, the drive will display in Computer.

Drives - Hide or Show Empty Drives in Computer Folder

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/245152-hiding-unused-removable-storage-devices-computer-folder.html
Relevancy 77.83%

I am trying to rebuild by search index because my computer won t let me arrange items using the quot Arrange By quot option However when I try and load my indexing options to rebuild the index it will sit there and say won't Disappearing Icons, "Arrange & By" load, option "My work. Help? Computer" won't quot Waiting to receive indexing status quot If I click the quot Advanced quot button it will freeze I also receive an icon and loading display problem SEE PIC Also when I click on quot My Computer quot it sometimes will sit there searching and it won t load SEE PIC I have tried the following Restarting the quot Windows Search quot service multiple times at different boots Deleting the files contained in the folder quot C Windows System config TxR quot http support microsoft com kb Stopping the quot Windows Search quot service then I opened up quot regedit quot I went to quot HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft WindowsSearch SetupCompletedSuccessfully quot I changed the value from a to a Then I rebooted my PC I then went back to the same key and changed it back to a and rebooted my PC again Turning the "My Computer" won't load, Disappearing Icons, & "Arrange By" option won't work. Help? quot indexing service quot on and off from the quot Turn Windows Features on or off quot menu Microsoft Fixit Indexing Troubleshooter Sfc scannow Tried this hotfix http support microsoft com kb Tried another user account and creating a new user account Tried resetting folder view to quot defaults quot http www sevenforums com tutorials -folder-view-settings-reset-all-default html I really need ALL of these problems fixed "My Computer" won't load, Disappearing Icons, & "Arrange By" option won't work. Help? They obviously all come from one issue but the only problem is idk how to fix it Please help Also I know for a fact a quot repair quot "My Computer" won't load, Disappearing Icons, & "Arrange By" option won't work. Help? will NOT work so didn t even suggest it because this problem popped up because I repair installed my computer The quot Arrange By quot option just doesn t work so maybe the registry has a key that can be edited to fix this that is disable by default Thanks PS I am sorting by name grouping by none and below is a screenshot of what happens when I change the quot Arrange By quot option to arrange by song As you can see nothing changes it still arranges by folder SEE PIC Also note in the picture quot song quot is highlighted but I already left-clicked it PSS I only only experienced the file display disappearing and loading issues when I deleted the files located in the TxR folder to fix the arrange by issue I forgot to mention that I noticed in my Event Viewer that there were some logs that kept appearing that might pertain to the issue Here is a list of the logs that I think appear the most often Error Event ID Service Control Manager The ScRegSetValueExW call failed for FailureActions with the following error Access is denied Error Event ID Kernel-EventTracing Session quot Circular Kernel Context Logger quot failed to start with the following error xC Error Event ID Service Control Manager The Computer Browser service depends on the Workstation service which failed to start because of the following error The service cannot be started either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it Error Event ID WMI Event filter with query quot SELECT FROM InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN WHERE TargetInstance ISA quot Win Processor quot AND TargetInstance LoadPercentage gt quot could not be reactivated in namespace quot root CIMV quot because of error x Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected Error Event ID DistributedCOM The server D C F-AC - F F-BEB - C C CE did not register with DCOM within the required timeout NOTE FOR THIS EVENT ID ERROR THAT THE NUMBERS IN THE BRACKETS ... Read more

A:"My Computer" won't load, Disappearing Icons, & "Arrange By" option won't work. Help?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-computer-wont-load-disappearing-icons-arrange-by-option-wont-work-help.1098029/
Relevancy 77.83%

my computer was hijacked by "support tool" a so called virus protection hijacker. i'm in safe mode with networking now & attached you see my hjt log file. help please. THanks!

actually, i'm on a different computer. it has windows xp home ed. & its a dell inspiron 530S

also, in trying to fix the problem initially, my wife deleted the file "rundll32" beacause the virus stated that had a virus error. so this file may be missing as well & we may need to replace it.

A:Computer Hijacked by "Support Tool" "Virus Protection" Prog

I posted this yesterday to get help for a "Support Tool" hijack on a computer. Please help. Log file attached. Thanks.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-hijacked-by-support-tool-virus-protection-prog.905556/
Relevancy 77.83%

Problem Everything was running fine until yesterday when my PC crashed with the BSOD giving me the quot IRQL not less or equal quot error I ignored it and carried on- which resulted in the computer crashing with quot Memory management quot blues whenever I started something that was not the browser It later started crashing on browser start too I first thought it was the temperature - Memtest and GPUtemp said otherwise So I started testing the RAM taking one DIMM out with Memtest - It passed cycles so I shut less Computer not not "Memory equal" management" "IRQL BSOD- and or - starting. the PC down and put the other DIMM in When I turned the PC on again there was no signal sent to my screen and none to my keyboard and the HDD light on the front of the case did not start blinking like usual BSOD- "IRQL not less or equal" and "Memory management" - Computer not starting. The fans were running so I figured something might be wrong with the DIMMs I put in I removed the graphics card and plugged the screen into the motherboard Now the screen gets a signal background lighting starts up and then it shuts down to hibernation again This repeats itself until the machine is shut down manually I got no idea what to do System specs http pastebin com BSOD- "IRQL not less or equal" and "Memory management" - Computer not starting. DQwejZLx I can not post the Minidump folder since the PC can t start and I did not back it up Sorry Thank you for your help nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/bsod-irql-not-less-or-equal-and-memory-management-computer-not-starting.1090821/
Relevancy 77.83%

Does anybody know how I can change these icons?

I changed the default icon for the network one in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{F02C1A0D-BE21-4350-88B0-7367FC96EF3C} but it didn't change.
Appreciate any help,

B

A:Changing "Computer" and "Network" icons in explorer navigation pane

Hello, and welcome to Seven Forums.

If you like, you could use the method in the tutorial below to change the icon of "Computer" and "Network" to what you like, and have it applied everywhere in Windows.

Desktop Icons - Change or Restore Default Icon

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/351478-changing-computer-network-icons-explorer-navigation-pane.html
Relevancy 77.83%

Which one should I do? I originally wanted to just do "Return computer to factory condition" but Theog just suggested "Use A System Image Created Earlier." I have no idea what to do. So confusing!

A:"Return computer to factory condition" or "Use A System Image Crea..."

Hello M4TE and welcome to Seven Forums. Sorry for the delay in responding but I just came across your question.

Most newer manufactured computers have a hidden recovery partition on the hard drive. The manufacturer provides specific instructions on how to access that partition in case you want to restore your machine to the exact condition it was in when it left the factory. That means you'd have to go through the time consuming process of cleaning out factory bloatware (like free trials of programs you'll never need), installing programs you do need, updating everything, creating your personal settings, etc. Here is a general idea of how to access the hidden recovery partition.

HP Recovery From Partition

Let's say it took you a day or two to set up your machine to your liking using the hidden recovery partition. A System Image is like a snapshot of your entire hard drive. It will include everything from the operating system to all your programs, files, photos, music, all updates ... everything. Most folks keep it on a separate external hard drive. Let's say a week later you get a virus or your machine crashes for some reason. You can use that System Image to return your machine to the exact condition it was in when you made the image. Usually takes about 30 minutes or so and you're back in business. It's a lot faster and more convenient to only worry about a week of updates compared to probably months with the hidden recovery partition. The newer a System Image is the less you have to worry about.

But one caution: since a System Image is, for all purposes, an exact duplicate of the hard drive, it will also include any malware that may be on the machine. So if in doubt, it might be best to use the hidden recovery partition to start off with a clean slate and then make a System Image immediately following all customizing.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/185899-return-computer-factory-condition-use-system-image-crea.html
Relevancy 76.97%

My office just upgraded and I can no longer use Windows XP On this system I was able to add a separate taskbar to facilitate quick access to commonly-browsed folder locations on our vast network and another one expedited the launching of useful programs and lists Each task on each taskbar was represented with a big custom icon to save eye strain I had them installed in opposite vertical margins and they "Launchpads", to "Toolbars" for "Docks" (MSese "TASKBARS" NOT add Need were set on auto-hide to keep them out of the way when not being used Just move your mouse pointer to the left or right margin and BAM Sorry for the cliche but I really got used to the convenience of what I had set up and I just don't think I Need to add "TASKBARS" (MSese for "Launchpads", "Docks" NOT "Toolbars" can be as efficient without anything comparable Now there appears to be nothing comparable in the Windows GUI and it's making me sick with rage I see only the option to put a quot toolbar quot on an existing quot taskbar quot and no option to create any additional taskbars This cramps up your one-and-only taskbar plus the tiny toolbar access buttons require way too much precision for anything that's supposed to be quick When you've figured out how to bring up that ridiculous button the list that it yields is small enough to cause painful eyestrain - nothing efficient much less cool about this at all I have seen customization options in other OS GUIs that may have resolved some of these issues but I see none such in W I have tried every google search string that I can think of and found no answer that deals with anything other than adding that stupid toolbar to the only taskbar that Microsoft will allow you in W So If I'm wrong and have missed some options how do I access them Otherwise I'm hoping there are developers who know what I am talking about and have software to enable the creation of separate taskbars launchpads Can anybody help with either

A:Need to add "TASKBARS" (MSese for "Launchpads", "Docks" NOT "Toolbars"

Several possibilities here: Second taskbar in windows7? [Solved] - Windows 7 - Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/306313-need-add-taskbars-msese-launchpads-docks-not-toolbars.html
Relevancy 76.97%

My hard drive not showing in "my computer" or "Disk Management" but is showing under device manager. I got the hard drive from a friend and his dad had put a Password encryption on it. Any Ideas?

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/60253-hard-drive-not-showing-my-computer-disk-managment-help.html
Relevancy 76.97%

Last night when I turned my computer on, it came on and was running scan disk--I think someone shut it down without logging off. I hit the "enter" key and all of the sudden the computer went dead and the off/on light went from green for on to orange/yellow. Does anyone know what this means?
Thanks

A:Computer shut down - CPU Light went from "green (on)" to "orange/yellow"

I have no idea, but I bet someone else on these forums does. But if I were you, while I was waiting for a response I would look on google...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-shut-down-cpu-light-went-from-green-on-to-orange-yellow.33929/
Relevancy 76.97%

I have run webroot antivirus with antispyware several times Every time I do it finds the same virus sometimes others with similar names This is from the latest scan Mal EncPk-CZ Troj FakeAle-FK and some cookies However often I quarantine them they reappear on the next scan and I also can't get the desktop to go back to its normal appearance it's gone white with a big warning as above and refers to win adware virtumonde win privacyremover M having been detected on my computer I have gone through the steps This is the active scan log ANALYSIS - - PROTECTIONS MALWARE SUSPECTS PROTECTIONS Description Version Active Updated Webroot AntiVirus with AntiSpyware Yes Yes MALWARE Id Description Type Active Severity Disinfectable Disinfected Location Cookie Doubleclick TrackingCookie "Warning! Can't your on get detected rid and "Troj/FakeAle-FK" Spyware of Computer!" No Yes No C Documents and Settings AM Cookies am doubleclick txt Cookie FastClick TrackingCookie No Yes No C Documents and Settings AM Cookies am fastclick txt Cookie Tribalfusion TrackingCookie No Yes No C Documents and Settings AM Cookies am tribalfusion txt Cookie Mediaplex TrackingCookie No Yes No C Documents and Settings AM Cookies am mediaplex txt Cookie Xiti TrackingCookie No Yes No C Documents and Settings AM Cookies am xiti txt Cookie Statcounter TrackingCookie No Yes No C Documents and Settings AM Cookies am statcounter txt Cookie YieldManager TrackingCookie No Yes No C Documents and Settings AM Cookies am ad yieldmanager txt Cookie Apmebf TrackingCookie No Yes No C Documents and Settings AM Cookies am apmebf txt Cookie Advertising TrackingCookie No Yes No C Documents and Settings AM Cookies am advertising txt Cookie Smartadserver TrackingCookie No Yes No C Documents and Settings AM Cookies am smartadserver txt Exploit LoadPdf HackTools No Yes No personal folders junk e-mail credit report debt Can't get rid of "Troj/FakeAle-FK" and "Warning! Spyware detected on your Computer!" pdf Trj Spammer ADX Virus Trojan No Yes No archive folders deleted items you have card ecard zip eCard scr Trj Sinowal VRR Virus Trojan No Yes No personal folders deleted items tracking n fedx-retr zip Fedx-retr exe SUSPECTS Sent Location No C i GTDownDE ocx VULNERABILITIES Id Severity Description And this is the hijack this log Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system csrss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin EvtEng exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin S EvMon exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin WLKeeper exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin ZcfgSvc exe C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files Java j re bin jusched exe C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI Control Panel atiptaxx exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin ifrmewrk exe C Program Files Dell QuickSet quickset exe C Program Files Apoint Apoint exe C Program Files CyberLink PowerDVD DVDLauncher exe C Program Files Dell Media Experience DMXLauncher exe C WINDOWS system dla tfswctrl exe C PROGRA Intel Wireless Bin XConfig exe C Program Files Common Files InstallShield UpdateService issch exe C Program Files Apoint Apntex exe C Program Files Symantec Norton Ghost Agent GhostTray exe C Program Files Dell Photo AIO Printer dlbxmon exe C WINDOWS system lphc nvj e f exe C Program Files Webroot Desktop Firewall WDF exe C Program Files Webroot Spy Sweeper SpySweeperUI exe C Program Files Skype Phone Skype exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files DellSupport DSAgnt exe C Program Files Windows Media Player WMPNSCFG exe C Program Files Bin... Read more

A:Can't get rid of "Troj/FakeAle-FK" and "Warning! Spyware detected on your Computer!"

Hi Henry

Disable SpySweeper's realtime protection. Open Spysweeper and click on Options
Choose Program Options and uncheck
load at windows
startup
On the left click
shields
and then uncheck everything.
Uncheck
home page shield
Uncheck
automatically restore default without notification
Exit the program.

Please visit this webpage for download links, and instructions for running ComboFix tool:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/comb...o-use-combofix

Please ensure you read this guide carefully and install the Recovery Console first.

The Windows Recovery Console will allow you to boot up into a special recovery (repair) mode. This allows us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware. It is a simple procedure that will only take a few moments of your time.

Once installed, you should see a blue screen prompt that says:

The Recovery Console was successfully installed.

Please continue as follows:
Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix, link
Remember to re-enable them afterwards.

Click Yes to allow ComboFix to continue scanning for malware.

When the tool is finished, it will produce a report for you.

Please include the following reports for further review, and so we may continue cleansing the system:

C:\ComboFix.txt
New HijackThis log.

A word of warning: Neither I nor sUBs are responsible for any damage you may have caused your machine by running ComboFix. This tool is not a toy and not for everyday use.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f100/cant-get-rid-of-troj-fakeale-fk-and-warning-spyware-detected-on-your-computer-283408.html
Relevancy 76.97%

Hi there,

I didn't really know how to google for this (although I did), so I didn't find anything proper and like to ask you: How do I remove the "labels" from drive types in "Computer" window? What I mean:
These labels above the different drives are really annoying, as I'm accustomed at one item after another and somehow one could change it to that view in every OS every since (XP, Vista), but now it doesn't seem to work? (I tried all the context menu items )

Any ideas? Thanks for your help in advance, much appreciated!

Kind regards

A:Remove "labels" from drive types in "Computer" window?

you can change the view a bit by using the button highlighted below - i don't know if you can remove the labels though...

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/21420-remove-labels-drive-types-computer-window.html
Relevancy 76.97%

I have some irritating hijackers adwares on my computer There are the Home Search Assistent Search Extender Shopping Wizard programs that I cannot delete There is my hijackers taken have Search over Assistent" and "about:blank" "Home computer! also the about blank hijacker that keeps taking over my home page Then I also see this fake warning about quot your computer might be at risk quot and that wants me to download a searchclick cc file or something "Home Search Assistent" and "about:blank" hijackers have taken over my computer! I would appreciate any help Here is my HJT log Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINNT System smss exe C WINNT system winlogon exe C WINNT system services exe C WINNT system lsass exe C WINNT system svchost exe C WINNT System svchost exe C WINNT System acs exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccSetMgr exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccEvtMgr exe C WINNT system spoolsv exe C WINNT system javaot exe C WINNT System Ati evxx exe C WINNT system CTsvcCDA EXE C Program Files Symantec AntiVirus DefWatch exe C Program Files Symantec AntiVirus SavRoam exe C WINNT System svchost exe C Program Files Symantec AntiVirus Rtvscan exe C WINNT Explorer EXE C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPLpr exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe C PROGRA SYMANT VPTray exe C WINNT ieac exe C WINNT system ctfmon exe C Program Files D-Link AirPlus G Wireless Adapter Utility AirPlus exe C Program Files palmOne Hotsync exe C Program Files Microsoft Office Office OUTLOOK EXE C Program Files Microsoft Office Office WINWORD EXE C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C HJT HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar res C WINNT system tehyu dll sp html resultposition net R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page res C WINNT system tehyu dll sp html resultposition net R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page about blank R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL about blank R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL res C WINNT system tehyu dll sp html resultposition net R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar res C WINNT system tehyu dll sp html resultposition net R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page res C WINNT system tehyu dll sp html resultposition net R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page about blank R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant res C WINNT system tehyu dll sp html resultposition net R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Window Title Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by Comcast R - Default URLSearchHook is missing O - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO Class - EE B EF-CEA - AD - FDD-ECAA CC C - C WINNT system wingu dll O - BHO no name - F AF- C - - D C- C DD C - no file O - BHO no name - F F-B FA- FEB- E F- AEB D A - no file O - BHO no name - B BCC -E -A AC- B - B AF E F - no file O - Toolbar Yahoo Companion - EF BD -C FB- D - F- D F - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn ycomp dll file missing O - HKLM Run ATIModeChange Ati mdxx exe O - HKLM Run SynTPLpr C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPLpr exe O - HKLM Run SynTPEnh C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe O - HKLM Run GWMDMpi C WINNT GWMDMpi exe O - HKLM Run Ink Monitor C Program Files EPSON Ink Monitor InkMonitor exe O - HKLM Run dmjziw c winnt system kxfcxdy exe O - HKLM Run QuickTime Task quot C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe quot -atboottime O - HKLM Run javamr exe C WINNT javamr exe O - HKLM Run ccApp quot C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp... Read more

A:"Home Search Assistent" and "about:blank" hijackers have taken over my computer!

Hi there and welcome to TSF.

I am currently reviewing your log. Please note that this is under the supervision of an expert analyst, and I will be back with a fix for your problem a.s.a.p

Please be patient with me during this time.

We also suggest that you Subscribe to this thread to be notified of fixes as soon as they are posted by our Team. You can do this simply by clicking the "Thread Tools" button located in the original thread line and selecting "Subscribe to this Thread".

regards
alba

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/home-search-assistent-and-about-blank-hijackers-have-taken-over-my-computer-92333.html
Relevancy 76.97%

Hi,

When our website users click on an html attachment embedded on a web-page in IE9, the download manager will not display the "Open" option. It will only display "Save" and "Cancel" which our users don't like, having to save the
html document in a folder to open it. Whereas, when downloading attachments like pdf, word etc. all three options are displayed. 

Is there any setting to tweak , which will display all the 3 options for HTML attachments as well?

A:IE9 download manager will not display "Open" option (only "Save" and "Cancel" is displayed) for downloading HTML documents.

Hi,
As you know, the Open-Save-Cancel dialog box helps you prevent your computer from affecting by virus while downloading. 
So I suggest you test to reset all zones to a lower level temporarily and then please attempt to download this html attachment again.

However, since you can normally download the other documents, I suspect there is some restriction in the website which you are trying to view. I recommend you to contact the administrator of that website if possible.
could you please send me the link of the website from where you are trying to download the html attachment?
Thanks!

We
are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this
interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/3094ac49-8d49-4a60-a7cf-fb12c823e500/ie9-download-manager-will-not-display-quotopenquot-option-only-quotsavequot-and?forum=ieitprocurrentver
Relevancy 76.97%

I am hoping that someone can help me with what may be a complex question I have a spreadsheet similar Microsoft Solved: Values On Excel 2007 Spots Cell "Hot" Creating And "Cold" In Based to the demonstration file I have attached In it there are a range of columns One set of columns A - Solved: Creating Cell "Cold" And "Hot" Spots Based On Values In Microsoft Excel 2007 D shows a list of numbers that are references to items in a store and it also shows their location in the store so it acts as a floor-plan The next column E lists those items again to show the dollar amount that those items have produced in total sales F So what I d like to do is to add a conditional formatting to show me the quot cold quot and quot hot quot spots on the floor-plan so I can see where sales are most concentrated I would assume that this would be done with a colour scale using the range of values in column F to work itself out Either way the figures in column F would change Solved: Creating Cell "Cold" And "Hot" Spots Based On Values In Microsoft Excel 2007 weekly so the relevant cells in columns A - D would need to automatically change when Solved: Creating Cell "Cold" And "Hot" Spots Based On Values In Microsoft Excel 2007 they re matching cells in column E - F change I hope this makes sense as it s difficult to explain but any help that someone could provide would be greatly appreciated nbsp

A:Solved: Creating Cell "Cold" And "Hot" Spots Based On Values In Microsoft Excel 2007

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-creating-cell-cold-and-hot-spots-based-on-values-in-microsoft-excel-2007.929647/
Relevancy 76.97%

I have a chart in an Excel spreadsheet, and it has several "series" in it. Some of the series are charted as "lines", and some are "areas" that fill in the entire background of anything from 0 to the value I have entered.

I have one particular series that is showing up as an "area" but I want it to be drawn as a "line" instead, so it DOESN'T fill in the area below it. I currently have the "background" as "none", but now I have a line from the last value down to "0", and that's what I want to avoid...

Thanks in advance!

A:Solved: Excel 2003 - how to change a chart data series from "area" to "line"??

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-excel-2003-how-to-change-a-chart-data-series-from-area-to-line.688560/
Relevancy 76.97%

Hello Guys and Girls,

My wireless internet connections are currently set to a manually configured status, but this means I am having problems connecting to other wireless connections with free (ie unsecured) connections. I have tried going to properties and ticking the "Let Windows configure my wireless network settings", but I get a dialogue box coming up telling me that not all of my changes have been made.

Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

Sukita

A:Solved: Changing wireless connection status from "Manually Configured" back to "Automatic"

Why don't we start with the make/model of the wireless router in use, as well as the wireless adapter or laptop brand. Also, what version and patch level of Windows do you use?

If you have XP-SP2, you can set the machine back to installation defaults using the following procedure.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands, Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-changing-wireless-connection-status-from-manually-configured-back-to-automatic.493463/
Relevancy 76.97%

I recently built a call log database in Access for my team to use when calling agents on our top errors we see from a vendor s error report My boss is requesting a report to see how many items have been resolved I have a query started and I am trying to complete this task in a single query count Query: Return 2007 Access "Yes" M Solved: and values for of "No" Analyst/Report if possible instead of several queries as I ve Solved: Access 2007 Query: Return count of "Yes" and "No" values for Analyst/Report M done for a couple other things I have tables I m using Assignment AgtInfo and CallLog Joins as follows Assignment st AgtInfo agcy st AgtInfo agt id CallLog agt id Fields in the results Assignment assigned analyst CallLog rpt mnth CallLog resolved Resolved is a yes no field I ve done a query that converts the - to a so that the sum is a positive number for the quot Yes quot values I m not sure how to enter the expression to subract the quot Yes quot values from the total number of values yes no to get to my quot No quot count Essentially I d like the results to display as assigned analyst rpt mnth CountYes resolved CountNo resolved Somehow the connection is just not clicking in my brain with everything I ve read though searches Any help is appreciated Thanks nbsp

A:Solved: Access 2007 Query: Return count of "Yes" and "No" values for Analyst/Report M

It is easier to add another column to counf the Nos, use
0 or is null
as the IIf statement and use a 1 to count them

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-access-2007-query-return-count-of-yes-and-no-values-for-analyst-report-m.1141703/
Relevancy 76.54%

I am infected with this crap and have used the following tools to try to get rid of it Windows Defender Unible PowerSuite SpeedUpMyPC Registry Booster amp Spyware Protector and Norton's - "Error Worm-Popups-The Icons Netsky Cleaner" Protector" "Spyware..." Three "Privacy One Button Netsky Worm-Popups-The Three Icons - "Error Cleaner" "Privacy Protector" "Spyware..." Checkup and WinDoctor Not sure if it's related but my DISPLAY is locked at X Atempted the Step Process before posting and Panda ActiveScan froze and crashed after scanning files but not before identifying spyware files Here's my extra txt log from Deckard's Deckard's System Scanner v Extra logfile - please post Netsky Worm-Popups-The Three Icons - "Error Cleaner" "Privacy Protector" "Spyware..." this as an attachment with your post -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -- System Information ---------------------------------------------------------- Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition build SP Architecture X Language English CPU Intel R Pentium R CPU GHz Percentage of Memory in Use Physical Memory total avail MiB MiB Pagefile Memory total avail MiB MiB Virtual Memory total avail MiB MiB A is Removable No Media C is Fixed NTFS - GiB total GiB free D is CDROM CDFS PHYSICALDRIVE - ST A - GiB - partition PARTITION - Unknown - MiB PARTITION bootable - Installable File System - GiB - C -- Security Center ------------------------------------------------------------- AUOptions is scheduled to auto-install Windows Internal Firewall is disabled AntiVirusDisableNotify is set FirewallDisableNotify is set FW Norton Internet Security v Symantec Corporation AV Norton Internet Security v Symantec Corporation HKLM System CurrentControlSet Services SharedAccess Parameters FirewallPolicy DomainProfile AuthorizedApplications List quot windir system sessmgr exe quot quot windir system sessmgr exe enabled xpsp res dll - quot quot C Program Files Logitech Logitech Harmony Remote Software HarmonyRemote exe quot quot C Program Files Logitech Logitech Harmony Remote Software HarmonyRemote exe Enabled Logitech Harmony Remote Software quot quot windir Network Diagnostic xpnetdiag exe quot quot windir Network Diagnostic xpnetdiag exe Enabled xpsp res dll - quot quot C Program Files Logitech Desktop Messenger Program LogitechDesktopMessenger exe quot quot C Program Files Logitech Desktop Messenger Program LogitechDesktopMessenger exe Enabled Logitech Desktop Messenger quot HKLM System CurrentControlSet Services SharedAccess Parameters FirewallPolicy StandardProfile AuthorizedApplications List quot windir system sessmgr exe quot quot windir system sessmgr exe enabled xpsp res dll - quot quot C WINDOWS system LEXPPS EXE quot quot C WINDOWS system LEXPPS EXE Enabled LEXPPS EXE quot quot C Program Files Logitech Logitech Harmony Remote Software HarmonyRemote exe quot quot C Program Files Logitech Logitech Harmony Remote Software HarmonyRemote exe Enabled Logitech Harmony Remote Software quot quot windir Network Diagnostic xpnetdiag exe quot quot windir Network Diagnostic xpnetdiag exe Enabled xpsp res dll - quot quot C Program Files Logitech Desktop Messenger Program LogitechDesktopMessenger exe quot quot C Program Files Logitech Desktop Messenger Program LogitechDesktopMessenger exe Enabled Logitech Desktop Messenger quot quot C Program Files LimeWire LimeWire exe quot quot C Program Files LimeWire LimeWire exe Enabled LimeWire quot quot C Program Files Yahoo Messenger YahooMessenger exe quot quot C Program Files Yahoo Messenger YahooMessenger exe Enabled Yahoo Messenger quot quot C Program Files Yahoo Messenger YServer exe quot quot C Program Files Yahoo Messenger YServer exe Enabled Yahoo FT Server quot quot C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe quot quot C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe Enabled Windows Messenger quot quot C Program Files Veoh Networks Veoh VeohCli... Read more

A:Netsky Worm-Popups-The Three Icons - "Error Cleaner" "Privacy Protector" "Spyware..."

Bump.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/netsky-worm-popups-the-three-icons-error-cleaner-privacy-protector-spyware-207223.html
Relevancy 76.54%

Greetings I have an XP machine which I only ever user myself lists &quot;user&quot; users&quot; start and [SOLVED] program Merging &quot;all menu as in there are no other users on the machine [SOLVED] Merging &quot;user&quot; and &quot;all users&quot; start menu program lists no guest account and it logs in without a password I'm trying to sort out my expansive and bloated Start Menu Programs list but it seems that there are two separate lists One for quot Joe quot the main user account and one for quot all users quot I guess because some programs give the option of installing for just one user or for everyone All of the programs show up in the Start Menu when I click on it but when I go into Windows Explorer to try and sort them out there are two separate folders C Documents and Settings All Users Start Menu Programs C Documents and Settings Joe Start Menu Programs I know I can move them around in these folders ie putting them in related groups such as quot system tools quot etc but can I move all of them from the main user to the quot all users quot folder or vice versa without any problems Thanks Joe

A:[SOLVED] Merging &quot;user&quot; and &quot;all users&quot; start menu program lists

Yes, you can consolidate them all in one, or slit them up as desired.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-merging-and-quot-user-and-quot-and-and-quot-all-users-and-quot-start-menu-program-lists-493670.html
Relevancy 76.54%

I added a slave drive to my Windows XP Pro computer and it appears to work properly However when I open the quot Documents and Settings quot folder on the slave drive E which is Windows XP Home Edition Slave Folder Settings" Solved: drive Denied" "Access and on "Documents -- not XP Pro I do not see any of my documents sub-folders etc There should be MANY sub-folders inside the quot My Documents quot folder which isn t even visible with hundreds of documents jpgs etc Solved: Slave drive "Access Denied" on "Documents and Settings" Folder within it When that drive is installed as the Primary drive in my other computer the User quot Larry Solved: Slave drive "Access Denied" on "Documents and Settings" Folder quot which is me has all Administrative privileges On the computer that I m running now with the slave drive in it I also have Administrator privileges I own both computers My User Name quot Larry quot is password-protected when I login to Windows when the drive is Primary and installed into my main computer not this computer with XP Pro I ve tried clicking on all the users Administrator Default User Larry Guest etc Note I get an quot Access Denied quot error when clicking on the Guest quot Documents and Settings quot folder So the questions are Why can t I see any files or subdirectories in the quot Documents and Settings quot folder on the slave drive There s supposed to be a folder named quot My Documents quot but I can t find it Normally that path is quot C Documents and Settings My Documents quot --- Where is that folder It contains all the files I m looking for Do I have to put the drive back into the other computer and then change something before putting it into this computer or can I change something in this computer to access the folders I m really confused Old Fart Larry nbsp

A:Solved: Slave drive "Access Denied" on "Documents and Settings" Folder

Follow the directions here to take ownership of a file or folder.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-slave-drive-access-denied-on-documents-and-settings-folder.935997/
Relevancy 76.54%

virus popup quot Malware Wipe quot quot the spy guard quot and alot of commercials like porn poker and more crap this is what I get when I start internetexplorer Recommended Anti-Spyware Software Pest Trap Malware Wipe Spy Guard Internet Security TOP RATED Pest Trap Most popular spyware adware cleaner software all commercials spy Solved: "the Wipe" "Malware virus.. alot of popup and guard" over the world Cleans all known viruses and worms Visit Website Free Scan Malware Wipe Became one of the most popular programs very fast It s really easy to use and at the same time very effective Visit Website Free Scan The Spy Guard Developed as the most efficient spyware Solved: virus.. popup "Malware Wipe" "the spy guard" and alot of commercials cleaner with realtime protection Visit Website Free Scan Brave Sentry Award-winning Solved: virus.. popup "Malware Wipe" "the spy guard" and alot of commercials spyware removal utility that will help you fighting all kinds of spyware including keyloggers trojans and password thieves Visit Website Free Scan AD Protect World s leading software application that checks protects and re-checks spyware and spam vulnerability in your home computer Visit Website Free Scan WARNING YOUR SYSTEM IS VULNERABLE TO HACKERS ATTACKS AND BREAKDOWNS Solved: virus.. popup "Malware Wipe" "the spy guard" and alot of commercials Attention Your system is currently exposed Any remote computer can easily browse following folders and files on your computer - Windows System - Program Files Internet Explorer - My Documents - Drive C files Click here to download official intrusion detection system IDS software YOUR PRIVATE INFORMATION IS IN OPEN ACCESS TO OTHER COMPUTERS Your IP address my ip Your Country SE Sweden Your Browser Mozilla compatible MSIE Windows NT SV NET CLR NET CLR Your Operation System Windows XP SP VULNERABLE System Security Status CAUTION Time of investigation Thu Jun PDT SOLUTION Download and install one of the following approved software products Malware Wipe Over threats in the database Exclusive algorythm of cleaning IE Safe Mode - simply cleans your browser Manual automatic update system Autostart items IE Objects Running Processes manager Dialer blocker Popup blocker Visit Website Free Download Pest Trap Daily updated threat databases Intelligent threat scanner Application advanced firewall IE security improvements Advanced system securty features Multiple scan options fast normal deep Visit Website Free Download nbsp

A:Solved: virus.. popup "Malware Wipe" "the spy guard" and alot of commercials

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-virus-popup-malware-wipe-the-spy-guard-and-alot-of-commercials.471943/
Relevancy 76.54%

Hi TechGuy I m having some recent problems on my laptop When I log-in and start using it the Solved: process running, "Generic.dx" open, "Explorer.exe" keeps IE intermittently Windows performance starts slowing down When I look at the Task Manager I notice that the task called Explorer exe takes up a lot of my CPU In a couple of minutes I also start getting Internet Explorer windows to pop-up on my screen I normally use Firefox with advertisements suggesting that my computer is infected and some software downloads that could help I recently installed McAfee Total Works or whatever they call their -in- software which is supposed to do it all I ran several scans and on some of them if did Solved: "Explorer.exe" process keeps running, IE Windows intermittently open, "Generic.dx" find and disable the Generic dx trojan Even though it claims it is doing something I don t notice any changes - Explorer exe continues to bog me down and the IE windows keep popping up to the point that I cannot use my computer effectively anymore IBM T- laptop about three and a half years old Microsoft XP-Professional Any pointers would be truly appreciated Thanks Sandjosh nbsp

A:Solved: "Explorer.exe" process keeps running, IE Windows intermittently open, "Generic.dx"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-explorer-exe-process-keeps-running-ie-windows-intermittently-open-generic-dx.602607/
Relevancy 76.54%

whenever i clicked on a large video file in explorer (running xp sp2 on inspiron 6000), explorer would crash. i found a tip online to run "regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll" and that fixed the problem completely.

however, this fix created a new problem - - now all the info that used to be under "artist" or "album" is gone! any fix? "date modified" is still there, but i like to sort my mp3 folders by artist, and now it does me no good.

by the way, when i now click on an mp3's properties, summary tab, and go to advanced, all the artist/album info is missing from there too.

from doing a search, i see that the way to undo the original fix is to run "regsvr32 shmedia.dll", but then i think i will have errors with large avi's.

so, any other fix?

A:Solved: "regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll" helped, but removed "artists/album" info

Greetings daverose808

Download the Attached File 'AudioProps.rar'> Unzip it > Right Click on "AudioProps.reg" > Choose "MERGE"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-regsvr32-u-shmedia-dll-helped-but-removed-artists-album-info.696647/
Relevancy 76.54%

I have been plagued for years by this bug (see attached Mad_Explorer_col.JPG screen dump), and this morning after visiting Tech Support Guy > Windows XP then searching for "Windows Explorer", on page 2 in "Solved: Explorer tree display curiosity, AKA Odd Windows Explorer Bug", page 2, I found the cause and solution brought by Mosaic1 Wed 07 Mar 2007 05:48 GMT:
Do you have the desktop toolbar on the taskbar?​and mrwes Tue 07 Aug 2007 18:34 GMT:
You can get around this by making the toolbar point to the Desktop but using c:\Documents and Settings > (Profile name) > Desktop. You don't see the My Computer and IE icons in the list, but everything else shows up...​Thanks a lot to Mosaic1 and mrwes!

Versailles, Sat 13 Feb 2010 10:34:25 +0100

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-explorer-displaying-multiple-desktop-solved-thanks-mosaic1-and-mrwes.902590/
Relevancy 76.54%

Hi,

I just downloaded the newest updates for the free AVG anti-virus, etc. (7.1) and ran the scan for my harddrive. For some reason, in the second entry of the scan (which is for the boot sector of drive c, my harddrive), it says there was a reading error:

Object: Boot sector of disc C:
Result: Reading error

...however, there was never any error before I updated to 7.1 (though that could be a coincidence). Before, it would just say:

Object: Boot sector of disc C:
Result: Ok

Why would this be? My computer boots up fine, so what does it mean that there's an error reading the boot sector? And is this something I can/should fix somehow?

I also have ZoneAlarm and am running Windows 98SE.

Any help is appreciated -- thanks!

-- bloomcounty

A:Getting "reading error" of boot sector of harddrive w/ AVG 7.1 virus scan -- ???

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/getting-reading-error-of-boot-sector-of-harddrive-w-avg-7-1-virus-scan.410422/
Relevancy 76.11%

Dear Tech Support It seems I have got a virus A pretty serious one I was browsing different websites in Firefox about an hour ago when suddently it closes down and multiple maybe hundreds of windows opens on my desktop I close a couple of them but realizes it is useless and perhaps stupid seconds later what appears to be a legit Windows window opens the same type that opens when you plug in a USB drive telling me I have quot harddrive error quot I kind of panic and shut down the computer on the psychical quot power of quot -button Then after some thinking I open the computer in Safe Mode to see what is going on Everything i gone I try to relax with down, shut error". Opens everything "harddrive multiple After windows gone. and figures that it might help to System Restore Opens multiple windows with "harddrive error". After shut down, everything gone. back to last Windows Update from the th of April Computer reboots and I log in Almost everything i gone There I see Opens multiple windows with "harddrive error". After shut down, everything gone. the Internet Download Manager icon the program i use to catch direct downloads from the internet in the bottom right corner is still there So I open the program and sees some of my previous downloads I don't remember completely but thye seemed old I right click and chooses quot Show in folder quot It opens the folder but before I can see anything it opens hundreds of windows again telling me I got harddrive errors I quickly shut down the computer again Now I am here on my girlfriend's iPad Can someone help me It seems my files some of them at least is still on the computer maybe just hidden by the virus My school stuff is saved on Dropbox but I would love not to lose gb of music and all my other stuff - EDIT I am running Windows not sure which service pack - but I always update my computer when there is an update ASUS X SV quot HD GeForce GT Core i - QM GB RAM GB HDD DVD RW kamera BT W Home

A:Opens multiple windows with "harddrive error". After shut down, everything gone.

EDIT: I have Microsoft Security Essentials.

What I was mostly doing WHEN it happened, was browsing reddit while chatting with my friends on facebook. They also linked and directed me rather discusting subreddits (as a joke of course), but the second I got in there and noticed what it was, I closed the tab.

Else I haven't downloaded anything particular the last week. And nothing from untrusted websites; I'm normally pretty careful with downloading.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f50/opens-multiple-windows-with-harddrive-error-after-shut-down-everything-gone-640116.html
Relevancy 76.11%

I purchased a new 1TB harddrive to host Windows 7. The installation was without any problem. Prior to installation, I removed all harddrives, including another 1TB data backup harddrive.

When I installed the second drive, with all my important backed up data, it comes identified by Windows 7 as drive D: System Reserved. There are no contents despite the properties indicating about 40% used space. Where did my data go? Please tell me it's not lost!! How can I get access to this drive??

Jenn

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

A:2nd Installed Harddrive identified by Windows 7 as "System Reserved"

I'm assuming the old hard drive still has W7 installed on it?

If so the issue is that the old hard drive still has a Active partition on it. You should not have 2 Active partitions on one system, and that will caused these kinds of problems.

You can use a third party tool like Partition Wizard for bootable CD to remove the active flag from the old hard drive,
Free Partition Magic alternative, partition manager freeware, partition magic server, partition magic Windows 7 and free Partition Manager software for Windows 7/8/VISTA/XP/2000 and Windows Server 2003/2008/2000.

or you can use Diskpart
Partition - Mark as Inactive

Just to simplify things and avoid any problems you should disconnect all unnecessary drives while running Diskpart. You need to be able to select the correct drive from it's properties or partition sizes because normal drive identification will not be available.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/251929-2nd-installed-harddrive-identified-windows-7-system-reserved.html
Relevancy 76.11%

I just tried to reformat and install windows XP home edition and upon coming to the screen of quot Repair quot or quot Install fresh copy quot I received an error reporting Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program Setup cannot continue harddrive" XP error: installation "Setup Win cannot home find To quit setup press F I have no idea why it would be saying this I m using the same computer now seconds later than when I was trying to install windows Currently I m using Windows Professional x this is the reason I want home I hate not having any drivers for webcams printers and the like Asus A V-Deluxe motherboard and the harddrive in question is a Western Digital gb rpm mb buffer SATA drive Any help would be greatly appreciated nbsp

A:Win XP home installation error: "Setup cannot find harddrive"

A friend of mine is also running a 64bit system, we tried to install xp pro on it and it was extremely unstable. It now has xp64 on it and it runs fine. As for the drivers u mentioned, its just a matter of time. The industry will hopefully catch up soon.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/win-xp-home-installation-error-setup-cannot-find-harddrive.34185/
Relevancy 76.11%

I installed a hard drive into my pc to access stored movies. The drive appears in explorer but when trying to open drive I get the message please insert disk media into storage device. Any tricks on how to get to the files.
Thanks

A:Can't access harddrive "insert disk message appears"

wostone said:

I installed a hard drive into my pc to access stored movies. The drive appears in explorer but when trying to open drive I get the message please insert disk media into storage device. Any tricks on how to get to the files.
ThanksClick to expand...

You might have auto-run worm on the system. Does it appear on C also? When last you scan your system for malware/spyware/adware/worms/viruses/trojans?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-access-harddrive-insert-disk-message-appears.132487/
Relevancy 76.11%

So here's my problem that I just can't overcome alone I'm changing some parts for my cousin's PC and one of them happens to be a new hard drive I've got everything up and the last thing to do is to install fresh windows on it However like many users before me when I choose this quot unallocated quot space and press install I get the quot Couldn't create new partition or locate existing one quot error So far I tried the following Start quot diskpart quot and from there execute clean amp create partition primary align After clean command it is all fine success etc But after create partition I get some quot CRC error quot and nothing happens Running quot clean all quot from diskpart This however takes waaay to long I've started in the evening woke up the next day and it still didn't complete Thus I gave up that idea I've put into my working machine as a secondary in hope that maybe I will be able to do something from windows But I can't do jack with it It's there I can kind of see it but whatever I try I get quot access denied quot or similar message On top of if check harddrive one." locate create New "Couldn't existing or partition new it's properties it says to be quot Working properly quot but I can't see any parameters at all I am in New harddrive "Couldn't create new partition or locate existing one." a comma now Can anyone else help me get it running

A:New harddrive "Couldn't create new partition or locate existing one."

Ok, I've tried something more...

I've run a test via this program and ... yup. It failed. Is it safe to assume now, that this hard drive is ****ed up and I should go to them demand a new one?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/322414-new-harddrive-couldnt-create-new-partition-locate-existing-one.html
Relevancy 76.11%

Hello im unsure where to place this thread. " Disc boot failure, insert system disc and press enter " Is the error i get after i took out an IDE 80GB HDD. The primary boot drive is a OCZ vertex 2 120GB. Somehow my pc will not boot unless the 80GB HDD is in. Im unsure how they are related so could anyone help me out so that i dont need the 80GB HDD to boot up anymore.

A:Taking out IDE harddrive error "Disc boot failure, insert system..."

When you installed the OCZ drive, it sound like you had the 80gb HD connected. So the boot up files got written to the 80 gb HD. Do you have a Win7 install DVD ? If so run startup repair 3 times in a row with the 80gb disconnected.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/295714-taking-out-ide-harddrive-error-disc-boot-failure-insert-system.html
Relevancy 76.11%

hi,

I have a problem with a usb fed external HDD.

When I plug in via the usb, I get the message: "power surge on hub port".

I am running a Dell inspirion 8600 laptop and it has 2 usb ports. I want to run my digital In
one usb port and my 2.5" external HDD in the other.

I have scanned the web but so far all i have seen is:

1. cover up the problem by removing the error message - not really what I want!
2. Use 2 usb ports for the external HDD - not really what I want as I only have 2 usb ports and want to keep one free for digital camera or other things perhaps.

Surely, in 2006 with IT advances there must be a professional rock solid solution somewhere to this problem?

I run windows xp, with SP2 and auto upload all the latest updates.

Thanks to all for any help

mike9inch

A:2.5" external HDD "power surge on Hub port"

mike9inch said:

hi,

I have a problem with a usb fed external HDD.

When I plug in via the usb, I get the message: "power surge on hub port".

I am running a Dell inspirion 8600 laptop and it has 2 usb ports. I want to run my digital In
one usb port and my 2.5" external HDD in the other.

I have scanned the web but so far all i have seen is:

1. cover up the problem by removing the error message - not really what I want!
2. Use 2 usb ports for the external HDD - not really what I want as I only have 2 usb ports and want to keep one free for digital camera or other things perhaps.

Surely, in 2006 with IT advances there must be a professional rock solid solution somewhere to this problem?

I run windows xp, with SP2 and auto upload all the latest updates.

Thanks to all for any help

mike9inchClick to expand...

The external drive may require two USB ports, one for data transfer, and the other for power. Unless there's the option for a power adapter to plug into the enclosure, you may not have a choice.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/2-5-external-hdd-power-surge-on-hub-port.466228/
Relevancy 76.11%

So I've been up for hours this morning fighting with a brand new Seagate Gb "falls asleep"?!?! 2.5" drive External Extension quot portable hard drive 2.5" External drive "falls asleep"?!?! While transferring Gb of information from the drive to an internal drive it often stops copying moving halfway through It seems to happen mostly on large Gb files but has also happened on smaller Mb files When it stops copying moving the destination drive is accessible but if I try to access the files on the quot it freezes and gives me the not responding message If instead of accessing the files however I click on my computer in the same window the copying moving resumes Prior to discovering this I had been opening task manager and attempting unsuccessfully to kill the processes and then explorer which would close but not restart itself I then had to open powershell and restart explorer from there Unplugging the quot would also stop the hung copy process and I'm hoping it hasn't corrupted any of my files only tried it twice The Seagate came default formatted in NTFS and I'm using W bit I also have USB suspend disabled Any ideas

A:2.5" External drive "falls asleep"?!?!

i found this program today im using to see how my drives are doing HDDScan
and it has lots of features here are some key things (oh and its free)

Reading and analyzing identity information from ATA/SATA/USB/FireWire/SCSI HDD.
Changing AAM, APM, PM parameters on ATA/SATA/USB/FireWire HDD.
Reporting defect information on SCSI HDD.
Spindle start/stop function on ATA/SATA/USB/FireWire/SCSI HDD.
Reports can be saved in MHT format.
Reports can be printed.
Skins support.
Command line support.
SSD SMART and Identity reports

the feature i found good is in the screen shot automatic acoustic management you may find some useful info for yourself?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/119525-2-5-external-drive-falls-asleep.html
Relevancy 76.11%

System Acer Aspire one netbook Win XP home ed SP Synopsis of issue Got this comp from my company for a new line of work I started Was quot deep frozen quot when I got it and was useless to me in that state Got it thawed and it suddenly wanted to do loads of updates so I let it Apparently I was not careful enough amp got the quot XP antivirus quot malware Eventually conquered that beast and installed avira free almost immediately avira picked up on the quot html infected win gen quot malware I quarantined deleted scanned comp w avira rkill amp malwarebytes all scans came up clean but I now have no connectivity wired conn continually tries to acquire network address and w less has limited or no Not my router or modem win.gen2&quot; [SOLVED] issues antivirus &quot;XP and 2012&quot; &quot;infected No Connectivity after as I have home comps actively cnctd as I type this Also tried multiple other networks w same neg results After loads of searching and t s'ing I believe I have found the root of the problem When I look under quot services quot I found that quot netbios helper quot quot Network Location Awareness quot amp quot dhcp client [SOLVED] No Connectivity after &quot;infected win.gen2&quot; and &quot;XP antivirus 2012&quot; issues quot [SOLVED] No Connectivity after &quot;infected win.gen2&quot; and &quot;XP antivirus 2012&quot; issues are all not started Trying to start them results in failure b c some quot dependencies are marked for deletion quot the afore-mentioned things are dependent upon the Netbios over tcpip and tcpip protocol driver Those drivers are in the system drivers folder but I cannot find a quot non plug and play quot section in the device manager Yes I looked under quot hidden devices quot and I looked in every drop down I successfully cmd netsh int ip reset c resetlog txt but when I tried to reset winsock I got winsock is not recognized as an internal or external command operable program or batch file I have no reboot disk or thumb drive and bios is p w'ed so I can't wipe the slate clean and start fresh Is there anything I can do short of giving it to the quot IT guy quot at work That's a black hole I'd really like to avoid if possible I hope I have been as clear and concise as possible and I appreciate all the help Happy New Year dds report UNLESS SPECIFICALLY INSTRUCTED DO NOT POST THIS LOG IF REQUESTED ZIP IT UP amp ATTACH IT DDS Ver - - Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Boot Device Device HarddiskVolume Install Date AM System Uptime PM hours ago Motherboard Acer Aspire one Processor Intel R Atom TM CPU N GHz CPU mhz Disk Partitions C is FIXED NTFS - GiB total GiB free D is Removable Disabled Device Manager Items System Restore Points RP AM - Software Distribution Service RP PM - Software Distribution Service RP PM - Software Distribution Service RP PM - Software Distribution Service RP PM - System Checkpoint Installed Programs Adobe Flash Player ActiveX Adobe Reader Adobe Shockwave Player Avira Free Antivirus Critical Update for Windows Media Player KB Hotfix for Microsoft NET Framework SP KB Hotfix for Microsoft NET Framework SP KB Hotfix for Windows Media Format SDK KB Hotfix for Windows Media Player KB Hotfix for Windows XP KB Hotfix for Windows XP KB Hotfix for Windows XP KB -v Hotfix for Windows XP KB Hotfix for Windows XP KB -v Hotfix for Windows XP KB -v Intel R Graphics Media Accelerator Driver Java TM Update Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version Microsoft NET Framework Microsoft NET Framework Security Update KB Microsoft NET Framework Service Pack Microsoft NET Framework Service Pack Microsoft NET Framework SP Microsoft Base Smart Card Cryptographic Service Provider Package Microsoft Compression Client Pack for Windows XP Microsoft Internationalized Domain Names Mitigation APIs Microsoft Kernel-Mode Driver Framework Feature Pack Microsoft National Language Support Downlevel APIs Microsoft User-Mode Driver Framework Feature Pack Microsoft Visual C x Re... Read more

A:[SOLVED] No Connectivity after &quot;infected win.gen2&quot; and &quot;XP antivirus 2012&quot; issues

Hello Gunnersfan13,

I do see the problem and I'll have to ask you to please stop any more action on your part to resolve this yourself or you'll make my job that much more difficult. :)

You are still very much infected with ZAccess. I need to see the dds.txt. (You posted, and attached, only the Attach.txt produced by dds.scr)

Run dds.scr again, and post the contents of the dds.txt.

==============================

Next, open Notepad and copy/paste the contents inside the quote box below, into Notepad.

Quote:

regedit /a afdexport.txt "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\currentcontrolset\Services\AFD"
notepad afdexport.txt

Save this as afdexport.bat Choose to "Save type as - All Files"

Double click on the .bat file & allow it to run. Then post the log which it produces

===============================

Also, download SystemLook from one of the links below and transfer it to your desktop.

Download Mirror #1
Download Mirror #2Double-click SystemLook.exe to run it.
Copy the content of the following codebox into the main textfield:

Code:
:filefind
afd.sys

Click the Look button to start the scan.
When finished, a notepad window will open with the results of the scan. Please post this log in your next reply.
Note: The log can also be found at on your Desktop entitled SystemLook.txt

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f100/solved-no-connectivity-after-and-quot-infected-win-gen2-and-quot-and-and-quot-xp-antivirus-2012-and-quot-issues-621728.html
Relevancy 76.11%

Windows XP SP2

Ok, I tried some things in other threads but to no avail. But some threads are having my same problems. First this about:blank crap is always my home page even if I change it, as well as these porn links in my favorites list. I've run scans with 5 different virus/ adware scan programs but it doesn't fix it. However, it got even worse-- I can no longer open things like My Computer, My Documents or even Control Panel to try and uninstall software. When I try to open any folder my computer freezes temp. and I get the following message: "DrWatson Postmortem Debugger has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

PLEASE Somebody help me. I have hijack this, if that helps. AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

A:Solved: I can't open anything "Dr. wtsn error" & I can't remove "blank: about" adware.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-i-cant-open-anything-dr-wtsn-error-i-cant-remove-blank-about-adware.340831/
Relevancy 76.11%

G day all I am hoping someone may be able to tell me why my local folders appear under quot The Internet quot Local Places" Solved: opening Network appear "My Folders "The as Internet"when on one of our work computers rather than under quot Local Network quot We have four machines running XP Home and one running XP Pro The front machine has XP Home on it and I cannot open any Solved: Local Folders appear as "The Internet"when opening "My Network Places" of the shared folders for this machine on any of the other three machines even though they all have the same workgroup name Solved: Local Folders appear as "The Internet"when opening "My Network Places" They are all connected via CAT cable and we have a Netcomm NB ADSL modem router a Netcomm V Telephone Adapter VOIP modem and an port switch in the boss s office And the front computer s folder s and drives that I have chosen to be shared are listed under quot The Internet quot Does anyone know why this is and how I would go about correcting it Thankyou for your help and time Aaron nbsp

A:Solved: Local Folders appear as "The Internet"when opening "My Network Places"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-local-folders-appear-as-the-internet-when-opening-my-network-places.578697/
Relevancy 76.11%

First off thank you for any assistance in advance Problem quot System Alert quot balloon in tray icon that will not go away and redirects me in IE to hxxp www virprotect com aff Using SpyBot Search amp Destroy and Ad-Aware SE I seem to have gotten rid of the problem of the Directs Trying Alert" That Balloon To "virprotect.com" Remove [SOLVED] To "System redirection of my home page as well as removed the trojan that caused all of this in the first place I think The pesky balloon however remains All pre-steps your forum recommeded have been completed Below are the logs your forum requests in advance please note that my DSS quot extra quot log file is attached PANDA ACTIVESCAN Incident Status Location Potentially unwanted tool application myglobalsearch Not disinfected c program files MyGlobalSearch Spyware Cookie Atlas DMT Not disinfected [SOLVED] Trying To Remove "System Alert" Balloon That Directs To "virprotect.com" C Documents and Settings Compaq Owner Cookies compaq owner atdmt txt Spyware Cookie Tribalfusion Not disinfected C Documents and Settings Compaq Owner Cookies compaq owner tribalfusion txt Hacktool HackTool KillProcWin A Not disinfected C Documents and Settings Compaq Owner Local Settings Application Data Wildtangent Cdacache E dat simple killw exe Potentially unwanted tool Application KillApp B Not disinfected C hp bin KillIt exe Spyware Spyware PeoplePC Not disinfected C Program Files Online Services PeoplePC ISP Dll RAS DLL DSS MAIN Deckard's System Scanner v Run by Compaq Owner on - - Computer is in Normal Mode -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -- System Restore -------------------------------------------------------------- Successfully created a Deckard's System Scanner Restore Point -- Last Restore Point s -- - - UTC - RP - Deckard's System Scanner Restore Point - - UTC - RP - Configured easy Internet sign-up - - UTC - RP - System Checkpoint - - UTC - RP - System Checkpoint - - UTC - RP - System Checkpoint -- First Restore Point -- - - UTC - RP - Software Distribution Service Backed up registry hives Performed disk cleanup -- HijackThis Clone ------------------------------------------------------------ Emulating logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at - - Platform Windows XP Service Pack MSIE Internet Explorer Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS system smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system ati evxx exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Lavasoft Ad-Aware aawservice exe C WINDOWS system ati evxx exe C WINDOWS explorer exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Common Files LightScribe LSSrvc exe C Program Files McAfee MSC mcmscsvc exe C Program Files Common Files McAfee MNA McNASvc exe C Program Files Common Files McAfee McProxy McProxy exe C Program Files McAfee VirusScan Mcshield exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared VS DEBUG MDM EXE C WINDOWS system hpzipm exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system wscntfy exe C Program Files McAfee com Agent mcagent exe C Program Files Hewlett-Packard Toolbox Apache Tomcat webapps Toolbox StatusClient StatusClient exe C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C hp KBD kbd exe C Program Files Microsoft IntelliPoint point exe C Program Files HP HP Software Update hpwuSchd exe C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe C Program Files Windows Media Player wmpnscfg exe C Program Files Common Files AOL EE AOLHostManager exe C Program Files Yahoo Messenger Ymsgr tray exe C Program Files Common Files AOL EE AOLServiceHost exe C Program Files iPod bin iPodService exe C Program Files Hewlett-Packard Toolbox Javasoft JRE bin javaw exe C WINDOWS ALCXMNTR EXE C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI Co... Read more

A:[SOLVED] Trying To Remove "System Alert" Balloon That Directs To "virprotect.com"

Download SDFix from here and save it to your desktop.

Please then reboot your computer in Safe Mode by doing the following :
Restart your computer

After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, tap the F8 key continually;
Instead of Windows loading as normal, a menu with options should appear;
Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode, then press "Enter".
Choose your usual account.

In Safe Mode, right click the SDFix.zip folder and choose Extract All,
Open the extracted folder and double click RunThis.bat to start the script.
Type Y to begin the script.

It will remove the Trojan Services then make some repairs to the registry and prompt you to press any key to Reboot.
Press any Key and it will restart the PC.

Your system will take longer that normal to restart as the fixtool will be running and removing files.
When the desktop loads the Fixtool will complete the removal and display Finished, then press any key to end the script and load your desktop icons.

Once the desktop icons load the SDFix report will open on screen and also save into the SDFix folder as Report.txt
(Report.txt will also be copied to Clipboard ready for posting back on the forum).

Finally paste the contents of the Report.txt back on the forum.

=========================================

This will help to identify malware on your system.
Please download Combofix from any of these locations:

Here
or
Here

Save ComboFix to the desktop and please ensure that you disable realtime security/virus programs that monitors your PC while CF is running.

1. Double click on combo.exe & follow the prompts.
2. When finished, it will produce a logfile located at C:\ComboFix.txt.
3. Copy and Paste the contents of that log in your next reply with a new hijackthis log. Do not use Code or html unless asked for.
Note: Do not mouseclick combofix's window while it is running. That may cause your system to stall/hang.

Caution...Never run and remove files using ComboFix without being supervised by a security analyst.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f100/solved-trying-to-remove-system-alert-balloon-that-directs-to-virprotect-com-207199.html
Relevancy 76.11%

Which is the better card, the "Sapphire Radeon 9800 Atlantis Pro 128MB" or the "PNY GeForce 6600GT 128MB"? I'm talking about the AGP versions. The 6600GT is about 10 more here in the UK. I had a faulty Radeon 9600XT so I'm looking for a new card. I will spend around 150 ($260). These 2 cards have caught my eye and I don't know which to choose. What would you get?

Thanks

A:Solved: "Sapphire Radeon 9800 Atlantis Pro" v. "PNY GeForce 6600GT"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-sapphire-radeon-9800-atlantis-pro-v-pny-geforce-6600gt.315698/
Relevancy 76.11%

Hi and THANKS for being there This is primarily a term definition question I don t find any clear answer in my user s guide I ve got this terrific TV card "Overlay" explain TV "Preview" Solved: is mode versus what card: installed very fancy very feature-rich I ve got this terrific add-on AGP card installed very fancy very feature-rich But I m thinking that s beside the point It s a nVidia Geforce FX This TV Tuner Capture card dates back a ways bought it for my old Windows Millennium machine and I remember that it worked just GREAT It has the brand name quot Brooktree quot but that might just Solved: TV card: explain what is "Overlay" versus "Preview" mode be the chipset or something Anyway I abandoned the TV add-on when I upgraded to a newer Windows XP machine in early I couldn t find the right driver though it worked pretty fairly with the old driver for most TV stations it didn t work perfectly I ditched it at the time I recently visited driverguide com and searched diligently and finally did find a perfect driver for that TV card for XP I am sure it is the latest and best driver available so that is not even an issue Since I no longer subscribe to cable I can use this old card to watch only channel as output by my VCR The card also has FM radio which works great Here s the thing A very itty-bitty teensy slight snag When I initiate the TV Tuner it always starts up in what they call quot Preview mode quot There is sound but no picture No problem I just tell it to go into the alternate mode quot Overlay mode quot and everything is fine I don t understand why this is Anyone care to enlighten me What distinguishes those two alternate quot modes quot The user s guide is light on explaining such things I m just curious and maybe I can save a step ooh my poor finger There is a little configuration utility for the TV card and I selected quot nVidia Geforce MX quot which is the newest they include on the drop-down menu but I swear I can tell it quot Standard AGP quot and the same little snag occurs I understand almost everything about my GeForce FX graphics card and software but perhaps not everything Their software uses the term quot overlay quot at times but I m thinking it s a totally different use of the term Well I suppose it s pretty far-fetched that anyone on this forum can decipher what is the differentiation Hell everything is so so complex these days A mixed blessing no doubt But if you have some light to shed I welcome it Thanx again nbsp

A:Solved: TV card: explain what is "Overlay" versus "Preview" mode

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-tv-card-explain-what-is-overlay-versus-preview-mode.864045/
Relevancy 76.11%

Hello TSG Just yesterday I was using the computer normally until I got a Blue Screen Getting a blue screen is usually something normal that occurs to my every so often so I didn t mind it and rebooted the computer normally Disk not 1 Solved: found" and problem "Drive "Floppy Failure" However I got two more blue screens within the next hour The rd time rebooting my computer starts to act strange as if it had a virus Upon powering up the monitor would just display a black screen with two lines about something --- which I don t remember sorry --- and stayed like that unless I plugged out the power cord or held on the power button to shut down Then when after a few tries it boots and displays a message quot Floppy Disk Failure quot and quot Drive not found Serial ATA SATA- quot and the same message for Drives and show up Also it asks me to continue loading by pressing the F Key When Windows loads the first time it displays a message saying a bunch of hardware has just been installed and ready for use Also Solved: "Floppy Disk Failure" and "Drive 1 not found" problem my internal clock resetted itself back to Monday November Which if I recall is the date when I got the computer and my speakers do not work TL Solved: "Floppy Disk Failure" and "Drive 1 not found" problem DR Version Solved: "Floppy Disk Failure" and "Drive 1 not found" problem blue screens within a short time Floppy disk fail Drivers - not found Serial ATA SATA- - Anyway I browsed through Google but I haven t seen anyone with both problems I disabled my Floppy Disk Drive and that message doesn t show up anymore but the others do and my computer still isn t fixed I ran a virus scan over night but I woke up to a black screen I use avast Antivirus with COMODO Firewall Is this a virus Is this because my hardware is old Here are the Specs Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack bit Processor Intel R Pentium R D CPU GHz x Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card ATI Radeon X X X Series Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard Dell Inc X CN G WL Antivirus avast Antivirus Updated Yes On-Demand Scanner Enabled nbsp

Relevancy 76.11%

Okay so i have my drives hooked up.
1. External 250GB (valuable data on it)
2. Internal 80GB IDE (valuable data on it)

Trying to get the files off onto the HD i have just booted from.
Only problem is that my drives 1 and 2. they are not appearing in "my computer". but when i go in "computer management", they are there but are listed as "unallocated".

does this mean the end of all of my files i have on them? is there any software out there capable?
help will be very much appreciated.

A:Storage Drives Not Appearing in "My Computer" but in "Computer Management"

Try the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/storage-drives-not-appearing-in-my-computer-but-in-computer-management.124552/
Relevancy 76.11%

Hi there-
I am in the process of re-imaging my laptop (Sony VAIO Win XP Home) and at about "66%" complete of Recovery Disk 2, it tells me "Critical Error Abort Retry Ignore Fail". I have no idea waht is going on, as I completed this successfully about 1 month ago. Also, soemtimes it asks me for a "Command line"...but I have no idea what to do. The system was orignally FAT32 with 2 partitions. I am interested in making it 1 partition. Regardless, I can't do anything because now I have nothing!

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dr

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/issues-re-imaging-harddrive-critical-error.19200/