Windows Support Forum

my external hard drive keeps disconnecting - damaged mini b port?

Q: my external hard drive keeps disconnecting - damaged mini b port?

i know you all work so hard i m sorry to bother you but i m hoping someone will be able to help me my mo old used simpletech gb ext hd w replacement mini b to dual male usb cable i have committed some sins like leaving it plugged in for long periods of time or accidentally pulling out the cord and i want to mention that the other day after that happened i could hear very faintly like the drive was skipping a little and i could not internally stop the drive and had to disconnect it once disconnecting my b external drive hard port? mini damaged keeps - more to make its blue light go off - but after that i plugged it in and it seemed to work okay still and now the mini b connection which i think stayed in place before is now so fragile that literally if i barely breathe while resting my external hard drive keeps disconnecting - damaged mini b port? the drive on my lap w my laptop the drive will no longer be recognized by my computer i have to be PERFECTLY still i can barely get in to look at my files before it happens again do you think i should try a new cable or duct taping the mini b not too firmly though because pushing the plug also makes it disconnect in place or do you think i physically damaged the mini b port when the cord accidentally pulled out do you think my files are toast i know you all work so hard and might not have time to help me but thank you so much to anyone who took the time to read this nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-external-hard-drive-keeps-disconnecting-damaged-mini-b-port.828615/
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: my external hard drive keeps disconnecting - damaged mini b port?

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 88.15%

Hi guys,
I recently bought a Toshiba satellite click mini, tried to use my external hard drive but its not showing up at all. Any ideas on how to fix this?
its a Seagate 250gb hard drive. Thanks in advance

A:Satellite click mini not reconising external hard drive or external DVD drive

Originally Posted by rachel.nickells

Hi guys,
I recently bought a Toshiba satellite click mini, tried to use my external hard drive but its not showing up at all. Any ideas on how to fix this?
its a Seagate 250gb hard drive. Thanks in advance

Is it usb powered? If so does the hard drive spin up? Are there any clicking noises from the drive?

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?83630-Satellite-click-mini-not-reconising-external-hard-drive-or-external-DVD-drive
Relevancy 86%

Hi all I've had an external hard drive for some months about - now all keeps External Hard disconnecting Drive was fine until recently I am on Windows the drive is a WD Elements Even in USB or port it will end up disconnecting I am uncertain as to why but it just keeps doing this now it didn't do it when I only had it as my main drive but I added a new one some months ago which seemed to take the drive letter of that one it was D then turned to E - don't know if this makes a difference Anyhow I have tried all of the uninstalling drivers changing drivers etc but it will just keep dropping out and won't re-add itself properly until I unplug it from the power and then reboot and plug back in I have checked the drive with - different drive checking programs and it passes them all fine so it is External Hard Drive keeps disconnecting not the drive itself So wondering what to do far from reformatting and putting Windows on I am a little External Hard Drive keeps disconnecting stuck Thanks

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forum/windows-29/external-hard-drive-keeps-disconnecting-4599703/
Relevancy 86%

Ive got a new external hard drive which keeps disconnecting all the time. it varies from maybe once a day, to a couple of times an hour. the hard drive is not faulty (had one before with the same problem).

I already tried to turn of the usb power save function, with no luck

Relevancy 86%

Hey,

Windows 7 x86

I've got an USB External Hard Disk Drive (Samsung S2 Portable 500 Gb). In the last 3-4 days it keeps randomly disconnecting when in use... So, Windows starts, it runs fine for an hour or so (in use), then the magic sound strikes. After a couple of seconds it's detected again, and the whole show starts again. Sometimes it reconnects for 3-4 times in a minute. It's driving me crazy!

My USB drivers are up to date, I've unchecked all those Power Management things, I've installed the KB976972 update (tho I'm not quite sure I was suited for it ). I thought it was the cable's fault, so I left it on my brother's Vista PC for about 5 hours playing movies, and it worked...
LE: Now I'm thinking it could be one of the updates 7 made on the 10th of this month...

LE2: It was working fine since Christmas.

A:USB External Hard Drive keeps disconnecting.

is it the only USB device that's giving you issues? is it connected to a USB hub or direct connected to PC also some system specs would be helpfull

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/63771-usb-external-hard-drive-keeps-disconnecting.html
Relevancy 86%

My windows motherboard crashed on my laptop but the hard drive is okay I needed some files over the weekend and figured out how to change ownership of my hard drive put in a SATA enclosure to my mother's computer Today I plugged my external in and I think I changed ownership correctly I can access my files on my local disk but I got some errors saying that the quot parameter is incorrect quot Drive disconnecting keeps Hard External and kept connecting and disconnecting all my drives on the External Hard Drive keeps disconnecting external it's split into like or separate ones Eventually it let me connect to my local disk and I was able to transfer some of my files Now I'm transferring a big group of gb and it keeps disconnecting every few seconds It also told me that the drive needed to be repaired but when I run the scan and repair option External Hard Drive keeps disconnecting it never finishes and then just errors out After I get this gb transferred I'm fine with wiping the harddrive clean and turning it into an external but it's making transferring my files very difficult Any ideas without losing my data EDIT Okay it seems like it can work with USB but not I tried to change the power settings like I've seen some people suggest but still didn't help

A:External Hard Drive keeps disconnecting

Sounds like you could have a bad cable?? USB 3.0 requires perfect cables I've had several new ones that were bad! It also sounds like that hard drive is crashing!! Could be either or both. Good luck I hope you get your data off of it. Again Back up back up

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/36675-external-hard-drive-keeps-disconnecting.html
Relevancy 86%

Damaged my external hard drive that I use to make backups of my File History. When connecting a new drive will it capture all the files or just where I left off when using my old drive? Using Windows 10 anniversary. Thanks

http://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/67002-when-replacing-damaged-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 86%

i have an oldish IBM-Deskstar model DTLA-307045. the power cord was stuck and unfortunately my finger slipped and knocked two of the tiny little components off the circuit board on the back. What shall i do??? can i get a new board to go on the back? or shall i attmept to soulder them back on? has important information on it aswell as the kind i dont want other people seeing (if you know what i mean).

A:External circuitry damaged on hard drive

If your hands are steady enough, and you know how to solder that kind of things, I don't see why soldering wouldn't work, unless the drive was in use when this happened and it damaged something else too.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-circuitry-damaged-on-hard-drive.21264/
Relevancy 85.14%

Hi
for no obvious reason my transcend store jet 25M3 1TB suddenly started on disconnecting and right away reconnecting
but only from my front USB3 port (p.s. i have another external HDD exactly the same just a drop more new that i can't decide if it also has the problem but if it does for sure not at the extend of the first one)
what i already did
i already disabled the USB power settings
downloaded the latest USB3 drivers
installed the latest firmware for the hard drive
it's the same PC as my specs
what could i do
thanks

A:External hard drive keeps disconnecting then reconnecting

please i am desperate no on knows?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/369158-external-hard-drive-keeps-disconnecting-then-reconnecting.html
Relevancy 85.14%

My WD External Hard drive keeps connecting and disconnecting every second or so. I already went into power settings and disabled the USB selective suspend settings but that didnt solve the problem. I also went into the device manager and unchecked the option to allow the computer to turn of this device to save power option but no luck there either.

A:WD External Hard drive keeps connecting and disconnecting

Hello kieron22!
I'm sorry for your problem with a WD external!
Which model is it, a My Passport (which one?), a My Book?
You could try using a different USB cable, a new one, then on every port ? USB 3.0 and 2.0, then on another system. Does the same issue occur everywhere? Doyou hear clicking from the drive or any other unusual sounds? Any error messages? How is the drive's performance? Please use the WD Data Lifeguard software (Support Answers) and check the drive's SMART values, post the results here. Please, be careful not to post the drive's serial number, too!
CK_WD

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/72582-wd-external-hard-drive-keeps-connecting-disconnecting.html
Relevancy 83.42%

I have a problem with a previously perfectly functioning external hard drive which is now disconnecting and External server disconnecting scanned by hard media drive when reconnecting ie visible in my computer then disappearing every time it is scanned for content by a External hard drive disconnecting when scanned by media server media server program meaning that the software doesn t find any content rendering it useless I have Vista Home premium and the the drive is a standard quot Freecom Gb externally powered and connected via USB I was previously running Twonkymedia with it and had no problems whatsoever until I got External hard drive disconnecting when scanned by media server frustrated with Twonky s lack of support for Matroska containers and decided to try a few other servers and the hard drive suddenly behaved like this in exactly the same way with all of them Even when I tried re-installing Twonky I don t know what s changed I ve tried sharing un-sharing the drive no difference I don t have any problems viewing editing copying to and from the drive when a media server is not running Please help nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-disconnecting-when-scanned-by-media-server.889051/
Relevancy 80.84%

I entered a post on Feb about this same issue but never received mini new recognize hard USB drive. won't My Solved: my external computer a solution I returned that GB mini HD to the seller for a full refund Since then I Solved: My computer won't recognize my new mini USB external hard drive. took the suggestion from one commenter and purchased an AC powered USB hub thinking that this may solve my Solved: My computer won't recognize my new mini USB external hard drive. problem since the Solved: My computer won't recognize my new mini USB external hard drive. only comments I had received earlier implied I was probably dealing with an insufficient electrical power problem for a quot hard drive i e my computer s USB port was not supplying enough power to spin the HD I also had comments that the drive needed to be formatted and initialized first but if the computer doesn t recognize the HD I can t even detect whether the HD is already formatted and initialized let alone do it myself Last week being the stubborn type I purchased another GB unit from the same seller thinking that my new AC powered USB hub would solve the problem it didn t As was mentioned in my earlier posting the seller says that about six out of a hundred that he sells is returned as not working but when he tests the returned items about four of them work fine when retested on his computer The hard drives he sells are refurbished Seagate drives which this reseller inserts into new independent company enclosures Because of the independent enclosure Seagate tech support will not provide assistance even though the drive itself may still be under warrantly Some additional notes that need to be added are that My computer does give an audio signal ding dong dong dong ding when I plug in the Hard drive s USB plug into my computer s USB hub port but no visual indicators appear on my computer i e taskbar quot new hardware detected quot indicator The LED light on the Hard drive itself does come on however The new USB drive after plug in does not show in quot My computer quot device manager or the Bios hard drive listing I have tried using the add new hardware wizard in the control panel but when it scans for hardware that I have plugged in but not installed yet it can find no new hardware nor do I see anything listed on the list of items already installed that indicates clearly that it s another hard drive I have gone to control panel administrative tools Computer management Disk management Action tab and clicked on quot rescan disks quot to no avail I have included as an attachment a snapshot of a segment of the disk management window which shows two listings one of which I don t recognize but I don t see how it could be my new GB external hard drive I have right-clicked on quot computer quot in the device manager and then clicked on quot scan for hardware changes quot but it does not show any new hardware that I can detect I only looked in the quot hard drive quot sector which listed only the one internal hard drive Note This hard drive came equipped with a USB cord that has two male plugs on the end for connecting to the computer I can detect no difference between having one or both of them plugged into my computer s USB hub A previous commenter said some USB configurations have two USB plugs one of which is for power only and apparently the other plug is for data transmission only Does anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve this problem that will get my computer to recognize this new hard drive I m wondering now whether the AC powered USB hub contributes any additional power to spin the quot drive nbsp

A:Solved: My computer won't recognize my new mini USB external hard drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-my-computer-wont-recognize-my-new-mini-usb-external-hard-drive.810852/
Relevancy 78.69%

In addition to regularly backing up my Win Home Premium PC on a USB I also copy all of the important files from my PC to an external hard drive which I removed from a non-working laptop about a year or so ago Until yesterday no problem plugging the external hard drive into my pc USB port and copying however yesterday there was the message quot USB Device not recognized quot I plugged the external hard drive into a different USB port and it worked fine However when I use the USB port that the hard drive did not work in that port does work with my other devides camera mouse headset So is there a problem with the USB port though it works with other devices or the external drive which works in a different port And should I be concerned that there might be additional problems in the near future with the external hard drive Thank you in advance for your help Jane

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/400781-usb-port-external-hard-drive-issue.html
Relevancy 78.69%

I am not sure if this is hardware or software issue One of my USB drive is not recognizing my Western Digital external hard drive I have to plug the external drive cable into the other side of my laptop in the combination SATA USB socket The USB drive in question works with other things like headphones For example--today I plugged the drive cable into the uncooperative socket The Unlocker for the WD drive showed briefly Since the WD external drive is password protected and Unlocked drive opens first asks for the password then the file drive will open I put in the password into the Unlocker recognizing USB Hard Port drive not external drive The Unlocker drive disappeared but the file drive which should appear afterward failed to appear There was nothing in Windows Explorer on the left file tree showing the WD drive was even present although it was plugged in Then I plugged the WD external drive cable into the other socket and it worked normally Suggestions for fixing this appreciated specs Win Pro -bit Sony Vaio Dual Boot configuration with Linux on the other partition The internal USB Port not recognizing external Hard drive HDD has GB total split between the two OS's RAM - GB CPU - Intel Core i Q GHz Let me know if anymore specs are needed

A:USB Port not recognizing external Hard drive

Changed title to "USB port" from "USB drive", the drive connects to the USB port/connector.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/629495/usb-port-not-recognizing-external-hard-drive/
Relevancy 78.69%

I have an external hard drive but whenever I hook it up it doesn t reconize the port as being a USB so it doesn t operate a top speed I checked in device manager and in BIOS at start-up and both so High Speed as being enabled I have no problem using this hard drive on other computers The driver I have for this is Driver Version Driver Date I found the following driver available Driver Version Driver Date USB Not 2.0 External Hard Port Reconizing Drive I didn t download or install the new driver yet because of the below message Extra Info VERY INPORTANT INFORMATION This is a package utility which installs INF files that inform the operating system how to properly configure the chipset for specific functionality such as USB and AGP Updating drivers may not change driver date and version number Download Location External Hard Drive Not Reconizing USB 2.0 Port is a The Intel Application Accelerator enables faster delivery of data from the hard drive to the processor and other system level hardware you might which to download to your system Second NOTE Periodically Intel releases updates for the Intel R Chipset Software Installation Utility These updates are primarily to address new chipset External Hard Drive Not Reconizing USB 2.0 Port releases From time to time a new version of the Intel R Chipset Software Installation Utility might be released that could contain a bug fix Intel generally recommends that you do not update to the newer version if you are not experiencing issues with the version of the Intel ChipsetSoftware Installation Utility that is currently installed on you system For more information please refer to the following link http www intel com support chipsets inf upgrade htm Any suggestions nbsp

Relevancy 78.69%

For Problem Hard Port drive/USB External Christmas I received a GB external hard drive When I got it I plugged it External Hard drive/USB Port Problem into my computer set it up everything worked without a problem At some point not long after External Hard drive/USB Port Problem I had to restart my computer for some reason and I did not eject the hard drive before doing so when I restarted the drive was not recognized and no series of plugging it in or restarting things would make it work in the port Eventually I discovered that plugging it into another USB port would make it work I have one USB port and USB ports That worked until I needed to restart again then the second port would no longer work with the hard drive This has happened each time I have restarted and the last time the hard drive was safely removed before restarting I am down to my last working USB port none of the others will work with my external hard drive I now have to restart and am scared that when I do the last port will no longer work with my external and I will no longer be able to use it on my computer Any suggestions on what I can do or theories on why this is happening nbsp

A:External Hard drive/USB Port Problem

Odd situation. Have you tried looking for a BIOS update for your motherboard or an updated driver for your USB?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-usb-port-problem.44276/
Relevancy 77.83%

OMG! My Maxtor external hard drive was accidentally bounced off the hardwood floor. It is a back-up to my 7 year old PC suffering from the whirr of death. I started to copy files from the ED to my laptop but was not even close to finishing the process when it fell. Years of music, photos etc are all on the drive. It gets even better -- the PC is dead.

The data port has broken off/pushed in and and is rattling around inside of the the casing. Power to the Maxtor appears to be working fine. What should I do now?

Relevancy 77.83%

My Seagate 1tb external hd is not recognized by the usb 3 ports,  the usb 2 port works fine.  Had the same problem with the same drive on my ASUS q302la and was advised by ASUS to disable legacy usb support in the bios and that worked, but there is no similar bios switch in the Starwars bios.

A:Seagate external hard drive not recognized by usb 3 port.

Hello @jerryemery, Welcome back to the HP Support Forums! I read your post about the USB port issue, and wanted to assist you! Try reviewing the following resource, and let me know if it helps:USB 3.0 External Hard Drive not recognized in Windows 8.1/10(Not an HP supported Web site). Please let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution", this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the Thumbs up below is a great way to say thanks! Have a great day!

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-Notebooks/Seagate-external-hard-drive-not-recognized-by-usb-3-port/td-p/5562286
Relevancy 77.83%

I have a 2 TB Western Digital My Book 3.0. The USB Port on my hard drive broke, so I can no longer access it on my laptop or desktop via USB. Is there any other way for me to access my data? Would I have to open it up?

A:USB port on external hard drive broke. How can I access it?

Short of taking it somewhere for repair, it sounds like you're going to have to open up the case to get inside the drive. Once you've done that, you have two options:

1) If the connector is still functional you can connect it to your computer with the case removed and transfer your data, or

2) You can disconnect the bare drive from the guts in your case and connect it directly to your motherboard so that you can read the data from it.

....or purchase another enclosure of the correct size 2.5inch or 3.5inch

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/usb-port-on-external-hard-drive-broke-how-can-i-access-it.175780/
Relevancy 77.83%

HELP!!!  My external hard drive was damaged in a move and the USB port that attaches to the computer has become detached from the card that has the SimpleSave software on in order to access the data on the hard drive.  I have looked everywhere to find out how I can access this data without it, but no answers.  I need to purchase a new card with the USB port on it but cannot get through to HP Customer Service.  Can anyone help me in order to retrieve my data onto a new external hard drive.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/Accessing-HP-SimpleSave-1TB-external-hard-drive-no-USB-port/td-p/5646120
Relevancy 69.23%

Hi I have no idea what s up with my disk its either damaged from a fall or it could be a virus any help is appreciated OS Windows Vista External drive Lacie Computer Sony Vaio So on Saurday I downloaded via a friends USD some files for her - yes I know I should have scanned it I didn t Then later when I moved my laptop I dropped the external drive although it looked like it still was working I couldn t see it anymore on my computer I didn t think about it until the next day - when I logged on I got a pop up box saying BS AS software had been installed on my external drive which is strange and my external drive was gone I tried all usb ports I also did a malware check In my device manager it was listed with the same name as the software BS AS I don t believe damaged?? my sure have if is I Not a drive virus or external that the malware was able to scan the external drive as it didn t show on the options to scan Yesterday I ran sea tools it recognized the drive but got a fail on the test - thru errors Since Not sure if I have a virus or my external drive is damaged?? then the name of the device in device manager has changed to RA SPNB M JB A friend Not sure if I have a virus or my external drive is damaged?? checked with their IT Dept and the prices on my recovering the information in a shop locally is No I don t have a back up of this drive as it was my back up drive but I do use it for all big files photos movies etc so I would be appreciated if I could safe anything and if there is anyway I can do a check solve errors Any and all help greatly appreciated Thanks Michelle

A:Not sure if I have a virus or my external drive is damaged??

It sounds like your drive is bad. If you want to try data recovery make sure to STOP writing to the drive as this will make recovery harder to impossible. You could try Recuva. There is a setting in Recuva to do a deep scan, fore damaged or formatted drives, whic looks for "deleted" files. I would recommend that you set this before doing the scan on the drive.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/461067/not-sure-if-i-have-a-virus-or-my-external-drive-is-damaged/
Relevancy 68.37%

Like the title states: my external dvd drive keeps disconnecting and reconnecting from both the front and rear USB ports of my PC. It appears in Device Manager for a second and then disappears. The drive is connected via a SATA/USB converter and plugged directly into an electrical socket.

It also makes loading and ejecting sounds.

This is really frustrating at this point...

Thanks for your input!

A:External DVD Drive keeps disconnecting/reconnecting

Is this a laptop?

How often does it connect/disconnect?

Does it do it while in use or after being left alone?

Is your computer putting it to sleep?

Change your power plan to max performance and see if the problem goes away.

If it does we can tweak the settings and go bacvk to your normal power plan

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/25706-external-dvd-drive-keeps-disconnecting-reconnecting.html
Relevancy 68.37%

I have an AlienWare M x purchased from Dell Computers It has Windows Home Premium External Drive keeps disconnecting and DVD connecting Intel Chipset U Dual Core GHz gb ram bit operating system NVIDIA GEFORCE GT M and Mobile Intel R Series Express Chipset gb hard drive It has usb ports one continuous power It has no built in dvd drive I have tried both a USB Hub but most of the time plug directly into the computer When I plug in a External DVD drive it will connect and disconnect randomly It may show it is connected and display that a disk is in it but when you click on it or launch from it it will disconnect About a minute later it will reconnect and then disconnect again I had an LG Multifunction Drive and when it first did it I thought the drive was bad so I got rid of External DVD Drive keeps disconnecting and connecting the drive and bought an Iomega Super Slim DVD drive and it worked at first but now does the same thing that the first external DVD drive did I have tried both of the DVD drives with and without the extra power connection I have downloaded all updates drivers etc It only seems to do it with external DVD Drives Any memory stick IPOD ITOUCH External Hard drive is recongnized and stays connected But external DVD drives do not I have had this computer for less than months I tried to contact Dell but when I type in the Service tag number it says that AlienWare does all the support for it When I go to AlienWare you have to create an account in order to even ask a question In order to register for the website you have to provide them an Account Number which I never received None of the service tag codes or Express codes on the computer are valid at Alienware site so I can t even contact them even though it was included in the purchase I am deployed in Iraq so I cannot call except on Skype and the service center can t hear me If anyone has a solution I would be greatful thanks S W nbsp

A:External DVD Drive keeps disconnecting and connecting

What happens if you jiggle the USB from the DVD drive while it is plugged in does anything happen?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-dvd-drive-keeps-disconnecting-and-connecting.954496/
Relevancy 67.08%

How do you recover lost damaged files from a damaged disk external I m not sure if its just damaged or crammed way too full but it started when I plugged it into another computer at the front along with another hard drive which I ve never done at that Recover disk? external from damaged lost/damaged files particular computer Recover lost/damaged files from damaged external disk? before but I Recover lost/damaged files from damaged external disk? thought it would be fine since I always plug in both at the back of my own computer At the other computer this disk disappeared and only the other one showed up So I plugged out the other one and tried to make it show up It didn t and when i plugged it out quot Drive H needs to be formatted quot showed Recover lost/damaged files from damaged external disk? up quot I just kept trying at all the usb ports to failure I tried to plug it in my computer and my laptop leading to the same result I m talking about a quot TB FreeAgent GoFlex Seagate quot image http www geek com wp-content uploads seagate goflex review jpg I took the butt part out and installed it in my computer directly I think that s when the chkdsk utility showed up after windows started I let it run when it started up it finally showed up The files still worked but it was still almost full so I bought a new hard drive to transfer the files to and then format the old one and start clean or so to say I plugged in my new hard drive and tried to transfer some files It transferred some but others gave me a few errors in transferring Then I tried to transfer it to my laptop It can t transfer directly from one external hard drive to another So i plugged in my old one transferred over gb of files because that is about the max capacity of my laptop Then i transferred these same files to my new hard drive no problem Now here s the problem When I tried to repeat the process and plug in my old drive It gave me lots of repeated errors Sometimes it wouldn t even go to the drive When I got to the folder it would give me a I O error I tried to copy the whole folder same thing I tried all the usb ports I tried installing it back in my computer again nothing I tried defragmenting it froze It wouldn t do chkdsk anymore I also tried several data recovery software including PC Inspector software mentioned on this forum and a UBCD Windows boot disk still nothing Please what am I supposed to do nbsp

Relevancy 67.08%

Hi there,

I won't get too deeply into the harrowing saga of how two external hard drives of mine died within days of each other. Rather, I'll just say that I would like to do a virus scan on several external hard drives (including/especially the one I just got to replace the others). In other words, I want to find out if there was a virus or something in the material that I'm putting on the hard drives that makes them die. Could this be possible? If so, how can I conduct a virus scan specifically on the external drives?

Thanks!
Sonya

A:Scanning an external hard drive for viruses? External Hard drive DRAMA!

In My Computer . . right click the external drive and select Scan with { name of AV }

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/scanning-an-external-hard-drive-for-viruses-external-hard-drive-drama-186769.html
Relevancy 66.65%

Jesus...I feel like I am just destined to have trouble with external drives.

In trying to move files and make space for an earlier problem of an unaccessible external sata hard drive, I moved about 40 gig of info to a laptop external drive.

Now it shows up in the listing under my computer, and it shows that the space was used for the data. It even shows when I open the hard drive the folder I made that holds the data, but it won't show any data.

Is there any better check disc programs than windows 7 built in one? I ran it but it didn't restore the data nor did it really fix anything.

A:Bad Mini External Drive

It's not entirely clear what you're trying to do, but if it's recovering files, try Recuva from Piriform.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/bad-mini-external-drive.941641/
Relevancy 66.22%

Please don t Neeeded files, Help objects, Damaged External Drive infected Infections, close this post I just need some advice on what to do After scanning two of my external hard drives with F-Prot it reported damaged files contain infected objects or are infected Infections reported include W Trojan BAT W Backdoor DXMC exact W BackdoorX BUJG W Backdoor DAVN exact W Backdoor BBNJ exact W Backdoor AXXB W Skintrim External Drive Infections, Damaged files, infected objects, Help Neeeded Generic but the main one is W Backdoor DXMC This also keeps appearing on all partitions and drives Trash- folder Seven infected files sent to Virustotal scan results ntiVir PCK PESpin Authentium W Heuristic- Eldorado W Backdoor DXMC AntiVir PCK External Drive Infections, Damaged files, infected objects, Help Neeeded PESpin CAT-QuickHeal Trojan Agent IRC ClamAV -git Trojan Backdoor- Comodo UnclassifiedMalware Heur Packed Unknown eSafe Win Banker F-Prot W Heuristic- Eldorado W Backdoor DXMC Ikarus T Backdoor Rbot Jiangmin Backdoor Huigezi tfj K AntiVirus Trojan Win Malware McAfee-GW-Edition Packer PESpin PCTools Packed PeSpin Sunbelt Trojan Win Packer PESpinv v TheHacker W Behav-Heuristic- VirusBuster Packed PeSpin Sophos MadCodeHook Norman W Hupigon JDZS TrendMicro PAK Generic VirusBuster Backdoor Agent ISZS CAT-QuickHeal Trojan Agent IRC ClamAV -git Trojan Backdoor- Comodo UnclassifiedMalware eSafe Win Banker F-Prot W Heuristic- Eldorado Ikarus T Backdoor Rbot Jiangmin Backdoor Huigezi tfj K AntiVirus Trojan Win Malware McAfee-GW-Edition Packer PESpin PCTools Packed PeSpin Sunbelt Trojan Win Packer PESpinv v TheHacker W Behav-Heuristic- VirusBuster Packed PeSpin Have I lost all the data on my external drives is there an infection spreading and infecting more and more of my files what can do please any advice In all about seven files contained these infectionsl the others I can t scan due to there size or they won t upload or are damaged thanks

A:External Drive Infections, Damaged files, infected objects, Help Neeeded

Hello ,well first some advice on Backdoor infections.This allows hackers to remotely control your computer, steal critical system information and download and execute files.I would counsel you to disconnect this PC from the Internet immediately. If you do any banking or other financial transactions on the PC or if it should contain any other sensitive information, please get to a known clean computer and change all passwords where applicable, and it would be wise to contact those same financial institutions to apprise them of your situation.Though the trojan has been identified and can be killed, because of it's backdoor functionality, your PC is very likely compromised and there is no way to be sure your computer can ever again be trusted. Many experts in the security community believe that once infected with this type of trojan, the best course of action would be a reformat and reinstall of the OS. Please read these for more information:How Do I Handle Possible Identify Theft, Internet Fraud and CC Fraud?When Should I Format, How Should I ReinstallWe can still clean this machine but I can't guarantee that it will be 100% secure afterwards. Let me know what you decide to do.To clean run DDS We need a deeper look,please go here....Preparation Guide ,do steps 6 - 9.Create a DDS log and post it in the new topic from step 9.If Gmer won't run,skip it and move on.Let me know if that went well.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/302999/external-drive-infections-damaged-files-infected-objects-help-neeeded/
Relevancy 66.22%

im looking to buy a 2011/12 mac mini. there is no optical drive [cd/dvd] . will any brand like samsung for example work with this computer .or do i have to buy the Apple Macbookair Super Drive??
same question for external hard drive. or stuck with the time capsule option?? tanx!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/mac-mini-external-optical-drive.1036919/
Relevancy 65.79%

Hello all,

This is my first post & I hope someone here might be able to help me. Because of reasons that don't need to be expounded here I managed to put a hard drive power connector in upside down (idiot).

Rather surprisingly, I am an electronics engineer with quite wide experience. My question is, does anyone here have experience of stripping down hard drives? If yes I can go into detail about the apparent damage & discus what might be done to effect repair.

All constructive ideas welcome lol

Many thanks in advance.

Pat.

Relevancy 65.79%

Well when I used to use my GB maxtor HD everything was fine until some error came and windows would not start I decided to reformat and did numerous times because of errors that wouldnt let windows load to protect my computer from damage Well I decided to use my old GB HD as master which I was using as a slave before Well now I want to use the GB HD again but for some reason BIOS does not detect it I went to auto detect and pressed Enter on Secondary Slave which I have nothing attached to and almost immediately it said quot Not Installed quot This was fine because I had nothing on damaged? drive Hard it Then I went to auto detect my Primary Slave my GB HD and it just continued searching for a long time before it finally said quot Not Hard drive damaged? Installed quot The thing is the Secondary Slave said quot Not Installed quot almost instantly because nothing was attached but there is a HD attached to the Primary Slave and it just searches til it says quot Not Installed quot Does this mean its damaged nbsp

Relevancy 65.79%

After experiencing error after error, I finally downloaded a diagnostic pgm. for the 4gig Western Digital drive that's been making me so crazy. Test results reported that there are one or more errors that can't be repaired, replace the drive! Well, I can't do that anytime soon, so I was wondering if there is someway I can isolate or work around the bad sectors, so I can access the drive in the meantime. I've tried running a surface scan with Scandisk and it fixed 2 of the 3 bad areas, but can't seem to get past the 3rd. Is there anything I can do?

Relevancy 65.79%

About two and a half or three weeks ago, I began having problems with start up of my computer (Toshiba Satellite laptop with Windows XP) There is a problem with System 32 and dll. I only just realized in the past week that it has to do with the HP all in one 2410 Photosmart Printer and Software I installed. I downloaded an updated driver from the HP website, hoping that this would solve the problem...but it hasn't. My computer still has problems starting up and I keep having to manually shut it down, which i know is bad for the hard drive.

I really like my printer and would like to be able to keep it if I can get it to be compatible with my computer....but I don't know where to go and what to try from here. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks,

Lisa

Relevancy 65.79%

Hello,

I've been having problems loading programs in WinXP. All the larger programs/games either load EXTREMLY slow, or stop responding. Even disk defragmenter does'nt respond. I'm able to run smaller progams fine and navigate through windows quickly.

I did a virus scan with Norton in safe mode and did'nt find anything.

I ran chkdsk /f from the cmd prompt and it found bad sectors. I have 8 KB in bad sectors. Perhaps some of my WinXP system files just happen to be in those sectors?

How would I go about fixing this other then getting a new HD?

Maybe it's my RAM and those bad sectors on my HD have been there harmlessly for a while. Dunno...

Thanks for any help.

Relevancy 65.79%

I tried to reformat my hard drive. When it got to a certain point where it was checking the disk it got to 20% then hung or stopped. Did this three times. I have tried to run CHKDSK and have been unsuccessful. I get messages during the operation that say "file record segment ##### is unreadable.

Once phase 1 is finished, I get messages that "correcting error in index" and replacing orphan files (or sometthing to tthat effect). Not long after that a message appears that says "an error has occured" and the computer continues to boot.

Please note that my computer tries to run through CHKDSK everytime I boot. I want to reformat but it seems impossible.

Any suggestions? Do I have a damaged hard drive and need to purchase a new one? Need some help here!!!

Thanks!

PS This is a CyberPower computer running XP Pro - 80 gig hard drive. AMD 2800

Relevancy 65.79%

After going to hell and back with my laptop i was finally able to clean my hard drive and remove all partitions , after a format i tried to install a fresh version of windows , but when using a windows xp disc i get the message " damaged hard drive etc...
using a windows vista disc i get a message saying all the necessary files required for installation could not be found
is there any way to fix this hard disk?

A:Damaged hard drive

Try going to the hard drive manufactures website. They should have something you can download so you can make a bootable disc that boots with DOS. Download the disk tools to check and repair your Hard Drive.

Also make sure there is nothing wrong with the XP CD itself. Did you buy it or is it a copied one?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/damaged-hard-drive.810537/
Relevancy 65.79%

My laptop (vista home premium, 32bit) Toshiba keeps freezing. It even sometimes flashes blue with no writing just blue and restarts. Ive turned restart off during system failure but the screen stays blue.

A:Is my hard drive damaged?

W/o knowing the stop errors, it will difficult to say whether is your drive or something else. Unfortunately for you, I know there is a place where you can check your errors, I never remember where it is.

Someone else will chime in I am sure.

http://www.vistax64.com/drivers/235190-my-hard-drive-damaged.html
Relevancy 65.79%

Hi!

I got a black screen, and the hard drive wouldn't boot. I took 3 old hard drives that I thought were still good, but after I formatted each one, I got a message that the hard drive was damaged . . . something else was wrong, like an improper connection . . .
finally, I hooked up a new Hitachi Hard Drive, and formatted it . . . and lo and behold I'm getting the same message.

It's possible the 3 older hard drives could have become damaged, but when the brand new Hitachi gives me the same message, I think maybe something else is wrong. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

xico

A:Damaged Hard Drive

Might be a controller problem. Can you put a drive on the second IDE connection and boot from it (change BIOS)? Do you get the same error when preparing a drive connected on IDE2?

And try a new cable. Could be that simple.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/damaged-hard-drive.559718/
Relevancy 65.36%

I'm looking for a way to image a windows installation from a machine whose drive I believe to be corrupted. The symptoms are slow, unresponsive windows explorer (file explorer won't launch, start menu search doesn't function). The disk light is always on, and it isn't usable in safe mode either. A chkdsk /f was stuck for almost a week and never completed successfully because I need to move onward.

My question is: how do I best recover all the installed programs or the system as it exists with the hard drive in this state? Is it possible? Will windows backup (if I can even open it) image bad sectors? I have a feeling the failing sectors of the drive contain critical windows files since basic navigation is almost a dead standstill.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/380792-imaging-damaged-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 65.36%

I have my mothers dell inspiron laptop at the moment. When you turn it on it cascades the message " FAILED TO SAVE ALL THE COMPONENTS FOR THE FILE \\SYSTEM32\\00002ed7. THE FILE IS CORRUPTED OR UNREADABLE. THIS ERROR MAY BE CAUSED BY A PC HARDWARD PROBLEM"

A system check box then appears and does a scan. When you press FIX ERRORS. Its unable to fix 9 errors and you have to purchase the full version.

Virus maybe????? I am unable to delete the system check box from the system tray.

The screen is just a black background and all the icons have disappeared.

When I press the windows icon and all programs the file icons appear but when I click on them they say EMPTY.

Please help

A:damaged hard drive clusters

Follow this guide

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-system-check

Let me know how it went

good luck

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/444452/damaged-hard-drive-clusters/
Relevancy 65.36%

My workstation has SCSI drives in it running off of an Adaptec controller A couple of weeks ago weeks today as it happens I had a SCSI cable short which somehow took out the controller card damaged Opinions hard on drive and burned a ground trace on the onboard controller card on one of the hard drives dev sdd a K RPM GB Hitachi drive AND caused a head crash on another hard drive dev sdb a K RPM GB Fujitsu which is the oldest drive in the Opinions on damaged hard drive system I replaced the cable had another controller air-freighted to me found an fixed the burned ground trace and was back up Drive dev sdd passed all tests after repairing the ground trace and shows no signs of further problems I did not discover the head crash on dev sdb for a few days until I checked the logs and discovered it had failed self-test I ran Spinrite on the drive which took about a day and a half to complete and Spinrite found extensive damage in one region of the platter Spinrite recovered some significant portion of the data in the damaged section but failed to recover all data from a total of blocks and mapped out a total of bad blocks Data loss consists of one corrupted song file which doesn t trouble me a bit The drive now appears to be functioning normally but is now failing self-test due to the high number of bad blocks that have been mapped out this is being identified as an impending failure Now if these blocks were just going bad then that would be right and it would be a clear indication that the drive was failing However this drive experienced a severe external event which presumably won t be repeated and apparently the read write head is OK Also apparently the servos are OK since the drive is working The role this drive plays in my system is non-critical It holds music some ebooks some project backups and I commonly use it as scratchpad disk I don t routinely back it up because there is nothing on here that I can t easily replace or that is mission-critical I have copied the entire contents of this disk to another drive at the present time just in case Now this repair has so far cost me about new cables new controller and overnight shipping SCSI hard drives are very expensive So if you were in my position would you replace the hard drive Or would you decide to assume that the nature of what happened means the bad block list isn t going to continue to grow For that matter is a head crash likely to induce further failures This sort of thing doesn t happen very often and I really don t know whether this drive can be trusted going forward or not For now it seems to be working OK On the other hand if I replace it with a larger and faster drive which will cost about or more I could define a mission critical role for it because I would kind of like to reorganize some of my virtual machines so that there is more efficient usage of the multiple drives in the system So if you were me what would you do nbsp

Relevancy 65.36%

Big problem here, I turned off my computer and when I turned it back on, Windows wouldnt start. I put in my recovery CD and it said
"Operating system: Unknown on (Unknown) Local Disk"

Then i went into the command prompt and put "diskpart", then "list disk", and it shows up like this:

DISKPART> list disk

DISK ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt
--------- -------- ------ ----- --- ---
Disk 0 .. No Media 0 B 0 B
(sorry if it looks weird, this forum wont let me edit what I put above the way I want it to)

Will I have to get a new hard drive? Should I put "select disk 0" and then "clean"? Did I get infected by a virus?

A:Damaged Hard Drive/Partition

Hello and welcome KM mate before you do that do a sfc and chkdsk and if you can run these form the command prompt
SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker

Disk Check

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/305650-damaged-hard-drive-partition.html
Relevancy 65.36%

Have a fairly new Dell XPS I hard fix but damaged, it! partially KNOW PLEASE HELP I drive - can M and I dropped a AC adapter on it today causing a dent in the chassis and causing the hard PLEASE HELP - hard drive partially damaged, but I KNOW I can fix it! drive PLEASE HELP - hard drive partially damaged, but I KNOW I can fix it! to end It PLEASE HELP - hard drive partially damaged, but I KNOW I can fix it! was making a very faint running noise when I powered it down and on reboot it says no drive detected run F F or F - F gives the error - no drive detected But there is no physical damage to the drive when you look at it so I am guessing it got a little jolt and maybe the reader arm is stuck or broken or bent so what I am thinking is to open it up and take a look Is this OK - will it ruin it Is it necessary or is it possible to maybe boot from CD and will the drive possibly try to read data and not run as a bootable device just a shot doesnt technically make sense and sounds stupid but just trying Dell is sending me a new drive but obviously this one has data on it - I have a backup that is about month old stupid again especially for someone in the backup software business but the cobblers kids you know the story So I know the data is fine and short of taking it to a recovery service what can I do Funnier is the Dell rep said - bring the new drive and old drive to a shop and we will pay for it - should be about - is this in some other type of currency Any advice experience or solutions are highly appreciated and SO needed I am so upset about this the chassis may as well be made out of paper or that really strong light bulb container cardboard Thanks in advance nbsp

A:PLEASE HELP - hard drive partially damaged, but I KNOW I can fix it!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/please-help-hard-drive-partially-damaged-but-i-know-i-can-fix-it.667456/
Relevancy 65.36%

I have HDD and it is about 7% damaged (according to some tests I ran via UBCD4Win) I wanted to know if it is possible to somehow section off the damaged section (it makes loud clicking noises) and install windows using the chunk that is still good? The HDD is a Toshiba... if that makes any difference...

Thanks in advance!

A:Can I Install New OS on Damaged Hard Drive

the large clicking noise will eventually kill the harddrive completely
The heads are touching the surface and will be damaged each time its used
so the damaged area will increase and then the drive will not work

time to change the drive

common problem

do you have data on the drive you need off ?
UBUNTU
It may be possible to boot from another Operating System
This will at least test the Hardware and also see if you can see the Harddrive and possibly get data off.

If you have another PC with a cdwriter and spare CD
goto http://www.ubuntu.com/ and download the ISO

full details are here http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

click on the image "download ubuntu"
Select a location
then begin download
Save the file onto your PC – remember where you saved it – so you can find it again to create the image bootable CD.

You do NOT copy the ISO file onto a CD - you have to use the ISO to create a bootable CD
The CD creator software you have on the PC may have an option to create an image from an ISO
If not - use this free program http://www.imgburn.com/

When the UBUNTU CD boots - you will see the following options
1) Try ubunto without any change to your computer
2) Install ubuntu
3) Check CD for defects
4) Test memory
5) Boot from first hard disk.

Use OPTION 1 "Try ubunto without any change to your computer" ONLY this option this will run from the CD and not install onto your harddrive - be careful, if you do install onto the PC - you will wipe the data and software OFF your hard drive.., so repeat only use option 1

Now you should see a UBUNTU desktop
This at least proves the main parts of the PC are working

You may see your Harddrive on the desktop - if not have in look in the places on the tool bar at the top of the screen.

If you can see your harddrive – see if you can find the your datafiles –
XP look in “documents and settings” under the user name you had on the PC
Vista look in “user” under the user name you had on the PC

Now if you have a USB flash drive or external harddrive – you should be able to copy your data from the harddrive onto the USB device

If you still have issues mounting the harddrive:
On the main menu of Ubuntu, there's an option to Check CD for defects. I ran this and was able to mount the C Drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-i-install-new-os-on-damaged-hard-drive.901825/
Relevancy 65.36%

I have my mothers dell inspiron laptop at the moment. When you turn it on it cascades the message " FAILED TO SAVE ALL THE COMPONENTS FOR THE FILE \\SYSTEM32\\00002ed7. THE FILE IS CORRUPTED OR UNREADABLE. THIS ERROR MAY BE CAUSED BY A PC HARDWARD PROBLEM"A system check box then appears and does a scan. When you press FIX ERRORS. Its unable to fix 9 errors and you have to purchase the full version. Virus maybe????? I am unable to delete the system check box from the system tray.The screen is just a black background and all the icons have disappeared. When I press the windows icon and all programs the file icons appear but when I click on them they say EMPTY.Please help

A:Damaged hard drive clusters

Yes, sounds like a scam alert. I suggest you post in the Am I Infected forum.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/444451/damaged-hard-drive-clusters/
Relevancy 65.36%

Yesterday i tried reformatting my computer, i get to the partitions section, i choose the un-partitioned one, just cause i want one drive. It goes through and gets to 100% then tells me it cannot complete it due to damaged hard drive. it also tells me to check my cables, so i check them, and they are fine. My hard drive cant be dead, because i was on it yesterday and it was working fine except for the errors it had from my previous problem with my computer.

i have installed my SATA drivers from my floppy.

any ideas? what am i doing wrong? what am i forgetting?

A:Cannot Reformat Due To Damaged Hard Drive!?!

ok yesterday "except for the errors" from previous problem, YOU HAVE A BAD HD.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-reformat-due-to-damaged-hard-drive.634698/
Relevancy 65.36%

Hey guys.
I'm backing up a hard drive onto a computer (using a USB-to-SATA cable) and I found from my last thread that XP was the best way to move over the files because of a ownership/permissions glitch.

It's working great except the hard drive disconnects when it requires a certain level of processing. For example, it disconnects and reconnects if I don't cancel autoplay, but not when I slowly go through the folders and move up to around 600mb.

Googling says that the problem is that the USB turns off automatically at a certain voltage. So far I've turned the automatic disconnect off for each USB HUB in Control Panel > Performance and Hardware > System > Device Manager, which makes it disconnect slightly less, but it still happens too much to move over big amounts of files.

Any help would be much appreciated :P

A:XP keeps disconnecting USB hard drive

This could be an issue with your USB cable adapter. Be sure to plug the Power plug for the USB Adapter directly into the wall and not through a power strip or surge protector as this diminishes the power. Also be sure to plug the USB cable into the Back USB port of the computer (desktop) and not the Front or through a USB Hub as these ports are weaker.
You may want to also download Teracopy this program is designed to keep the connection when transferring large amounts of data, and if the connection fails, it will pick up where it left off, and you don't have to start again.
If you continue to have problems, use a different USB Adapter or put it into a USB Enclosure with a power adapter.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/xp-keeps-disconnecting-usb-hard-drive-909266.html
Relevancy 64.5%

Hope someone maybe able to help. I have a Maxtor External Mini Touch II The Drive is recognised on one computer but not recognised on the computer I wish to use it with.

A:Maxtor External Mini Touch II Drive not recognised

Are the computer's different in any way?
- Mac vs PC
- 32-bit Windows vs 64-bit Windows

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/maxtor-external-mini-touch-ii-drive-not-recognised.719002/
Relevancy 64.5%

I just had NIS read damaged?) from Memory Cant be (hard-drive on my computer - it ran a full scan even though full-scan was disabled this scan killed he PC to a standstill the hard-drive was making some funny noises and programs were unresponsive i got rid of NIS and tried to install Avira IS during install i got an error which said something like fwinst exe can not be read from Cant be read from Memory (hard-drive damaged?) memory numbers here at reference location x click OK to debug no matter how many times i tried with web installer and full installer i got same problem so i decided to download Avast IS and try that - low and behold the exact same error came up can not be read from memory numbers here at reference location x click OK to terminate BUT when i ran the avast installer again it continued the installation and is working so to be sure ive uninstalled it with avast removal tool twice and re-installed twice and both times results were the same error terminate re-run installer and it worked I ran a DISKCHECK and after it finished and proceeded to launch windows I had a BSOD which said SESSION INITIALIZATION FAILED which would continue at every boot attempt from which I could only recover if i used quot Last Known Good Configuration quot - it has since booted normally can anyone tell me what this could be I think there is surface error on hard-drive specifically where the temp folder is located - can anyone advise a program I can run at boot from CD or USB that can scan amp fix the HDD thanks nbsp

Relevancy 64.5%

I was running a defrag program on a hard drive data hard How drive? I from retrieve damaged do a and accidentally copied some data to the hard drive at the same time My computer completely froze before I had a chance to cancel it When I tried to turn my computer it wouldn t restart How do I retrieve data from a damaged hard drive? and just froze on the loading Windows screen after bars showed up I unplugged the hard drive and was surprised that the computer then started up fine The reason I was surprised is the OS is not on that hard drive I then powered up my computer and plugged in the damaged hard drive to an external device so it shows up as an external drive When I go to it I see it as having nothing at all bytes free and total What should my next step be in the morning Should I run disk check defrag or anything else first Or should I run a disc recovery program first hours ago - days left to answer - answers - Report Abuse You can t answer your own question nbsp

A:How do I retrieve data from a damaged hard drive?

first of all i would not touch the damaged hdd at all. and i would recommend taking it 2 a specialist. as the file table on the drive is probably damaged in some way, so the data is still there its just the references are gone. a techy could prob fix it in a day and recover most if not all of your data. but most importantly do NOT do ANYTHING to that drive, if you attempt to format the drive, activate it, partition, it defrag it, anything you will lose data

goodluck

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-do-i-retrieve-data-from-a-damaged-hard-drive.542570/
Relevancy 64.5%

When I turn on my laptop I am getting multiple quot Critical Error quot messages There are the two in the Topic quot Damaged hard drive clusters detected quot and quot Missing Hard Drive quot Also there is another that says something along the detected drive Damaged clusters hard lines of quot RAM usage very high RAM failure imminent quot There will be an occasional set of popups saying different things about a Hard Drive failure and if this happens the laptop will end up restarting itself after all of these are done I m assuming from what I ve read by searching that it might have something to do with some kind of Virus or Malware but I have not found any useful information on how to fix it and we have tried running Virus removal programs One came up Damaged hard drive clusters detected empty I believe and the other will not run at all This laptop is the only working computer we ve got until Christmas so this problem can get very annoying Thank you for any help you may be able to provide DDS Ver - - - NTFS AMD Run by Cannibal at on Wed Internet Explorer Microsoft Windows Home Premium GMT - AV Norton Internet Security Disabled Outdated C A - C B- F C- B B- FCCFDC SP Windows Defender Enabled Updated D DDC A- F- fae- E -DA C ACF SP Norton Internet Security Disabled Updated A BBD -AA - A - B- B EB B E FW Norton Internet Security Disabled B F DB -C - E - D - C F F E Running Processes C Windows system wininit exe C Windows system lsm exe C Windows system svchost exe -k DcomLaunch C Windows system svchost exe -k RPCSS C Windows system atiesrxx exe C Windows System svchost exe -k LocalServiceNetworkRestricted C Windows System svchost exe -k LocalSystemNetworkRestricted C Windows system svchost exe -k netsvcs C Windows System DriverStore FileRepository stwrt inf amd neutral ccf dd cb af STacSV exe C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalService C Windows system atieclxx exe C Windows system svchost exe -k NetworkService C Windows System spoolsv exe C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalServiceNoNetwork C Program Files x Adobe Elements Organizer PhotoshopElementsFileAgent exe C Windows System DriverStore FileRepository stwrt inf amd neutral ccf dd cb af AESTSr exe C Program Files LSI SoftModem agr svc exe C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalServiceAndNoImpersonation C Program Files x Common Files LightScribe LSSrvc exe C Program Files x Norton Internet Security Engine ccSvcHst exe C Program Files x CyberLink Shared files RichVideo exe C Windows system svchost exe -k imgsvc C Program Files x Norton Internet Security Engine ccSvcHst exe C Windows system taskhost exe C Windows system Dwm exe C Windows Explorer EXE C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe C Program Files IDT WDM sttray exe C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C Program Files x Common Files LightScribe LightScribeControlPanel exe C Program Files x AIM aim exe C Program Files x Hewlett-Packard HP Advisor HPAdvisor exe C Program Files x PictureMover Bin PictureMover exe C Program Files x Hewlett-Packard HP Quick Launch Buttons QLBCtrl exe C Program Files x Java jre bin jusched exe C Windows system SearchIndexer exe C Program Files Windows Media Player wmpnetwk exe C Program Files x HP HP Software Update hpwuschd exe C Program Files x Hewlett-Packard HP Wireless Assistant HPWAMain exe C Program Files x Babylon Babylon-Pro Babylon exe C Windows System svchost exe -k LocalServicePeerNet C Program Files x Hewlett-Packard Shared hpqwmiex exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPHelper exe C Windows system wbem wmiprvse exe C Program Files x Hewlett-Packard HP Quick Launch Buttons Com QLBEx exe C Windows Microsoft Net Framework v WPF PresentationFontCache exe C Program Files x Hewlett-Packard Shared hpqToaster exe C Program Files x Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files x Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files x HP Digital Imaging Smart Web Printing hpswp clipbook exe C Program Files x ATI Technologies ATI ACE Core-Static MOM exe C Program Files x ATI Technologi... Read more

A:Damaged hard drive clusters detected

Hello and welcome to Bleeping ComputerWe apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If not please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine. If you have not done so, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.Upon completing the steps below another staff member will review your topic an do their best to resolve your issues.If you have already posted a DDS log, please do so again, as your situation may have changed.Use the 'Add Reply' and add the new log to this thread.Thanks and again sorry for the delay.We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan:Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links. Save it to your desktop.DDS.scrDDS.pifDouble click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.A small box will open, with an explaination about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.Notepad will open with the results.Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet. Information on A/V control HEREWe also need a new log from the GMER anti-rootkit scanner. Please first disable any CD emulation programs using the steps found in this topic:Why we request you disable CD Emulation when receiving Malware Removal AdviceThen create another GMER log and post it as an attachment to the reply where you post your new DDS log. Instructions on how to properly create a GMER log can be found here:How to create a GMER logCasey

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/367401/damaged-hard-drive-clusters-detected/
Relevancy 64.5%

Recovering data from a damaged hard drive...?

What programs would you suggest for recovering data from an external hard drive.
Apparantly only a portion is readable.
What program would you suggest to recover as much possible?
I am happy to do it from Windows 10 or Puppy linux.
Would like it not to cost anything.
s.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/index.php?threads/recovering-data-from-a-damaged-hard-drive.307725/
Relevancy 64.5%

Every time I start my computer now none of the icons are on the desktop the background it black no programs or accessories are showing up on the start menu and I m getting a million dialogue boxes saying quot Failed to save all the components for the file System The file is corrupted or unreadable This error may be cause by a PC Hardware problem quot Is there a way to fix this and retrieve my files or am I pretty much screwed I m running on XP I d tell you further specifications but my computer isn t letting me access that information The error messages read the same except with different numbers like ed d d e b eab d a f b e d ce e d c c e d a d The numbers seem different every time Every time Corrupted hard drive" files/"damaged I close the boxes a bunch more pop up with the same message and different numbers Some other error messages are as follows quot Critical error Windows OS can t detect a free hard drive space hard drive error quot quot RAM memory reliability is extremely low This problem may cause system failure quot quot Hard drive clusters are partly damaged Segment load failure quot quot Critical Error Hard drive critical error Start a system diagnostics application to scan your hard drive for errors Corrupted files/"damaged hard drive" and performance problems quot

A:Corrupted files/"damaged hard drive"

Hi
I'm having the exact same problem as you are.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic386590.html
Try this thread and it should help.
Can you access files through a usb?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/427603/corrupted-filesdamaged-hard-drive/
Relevancy 64.5%

My laptop was thrown to the ground, rather hard (dont ask).  Apparantly according to the only external damage, it landed right where the hard drive was stored. My IT bloke at work who is pretty good tried running it through another computer but it said the device was unknown. It appears that something within the hard rive has been damaged by kinteic energy. I guess I have no options but to send this to a professional recovery service. What are my chanced for a full data recovery?

A:Hard drive damaged by kinetic energy

I suggest asking that of the recovery service  that you consult.   The recovery can have a pretty stiff pricetag.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/Hard-drive-damaged-by-kinetic-energy/td-p/5586228
Relevancy 64.5%

I accidentally hit my computer this morning, and when I tried starting it, it told me to select boot or insert media device boot. I ran tests on it and it says I dont have a hard drive, even though I do. Then I started up my brothers computer, which is the exact same, and saw that it said it had a hard drive and when I pressed f12 for boot options, hard drove was on his but not on my computer. So I think that my hard drive is damaged or out of place. Any tips on what I should do?

A:hard drive is damaged or not completely in place

Why a new topic for the same issue?

Depending on the model, open the HDD cover and verify the drive is connected. Most are a tight fit, so it's not likely loose. In which case, if it's under warranty, have it serviced/repaired. Otherwise, you will need to buy a new HDD and hope the HDD is the only thing that was damaged.

After you get the new HDD, you will need to install it, and reinstall the OS (assuming you have the recovery discs). If not, you will need to buy the recovery discs from the manufacturer or buy a retail copy of the OS.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-is-damaged-or-not-completely-in-place.1138300/
Relevancy 64.5%

I was hoping somebody here might be able to help advise me what is wrong with my hard drive as I have a feeling drive, is Advice on it my hard corrupt/damaged? it is corrupt Basically I bought my Kingston v ssd as a boot drive for my computer around to moths ago soon afterwords problems started occurring and windows files started to randomly go missing with dll files disappearing and a number of registry issues occuring until it reached the point where my pc was virtually unusable and even Advice on my hard drive, is it corrupt/damaged? system restore wouldn t solve the problem so I had to reinstall windows This solved the problem or so it Advice on my hard drive, is it corrupt/damaged? seemed A Advice on my hard drive, is it corrupt/damaged? few weeks ago the same issues started arising with important files mysteriously going missing and no viruses showing up in any scans It started this time with scripted diagnostics host stopping working and things rapidly declined from there It reached the point where now none of my devices show up in device manger and my drivers have disappeared making windows think my copy now isn t genuine I can t enable plug and play to recognize them again so I can t reinstall windows When I try to do this from the cd in windows it says windows can t get any information about my disks so it wont let me go any further I now can t even boot my pc from a cd when the ssd is connected no matter what I set my boot order to it just boots up from the ssd I have a second hard drive I use for storage so I disconnected my ssd and booted up my pc again this time it booted fine from my windows cd and started the setup to install windows Sorry for the wall of text but I wanted to try and give as detailed account of my problem as possible For anybody that might know does this sound like it is my ssd that has an issue or might something else be causing this like a virus My kingston ssd is still fairly new so it is covered by warranty however I just wanted to check first that it is an issue that would be covered by warranty before I send it off I will be extremely great for any advice anybody has on the matter nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/advice-on-my-hard-drive-is-it-corrupt-damaged.166546/
Relevancy 64.5%

I have a hard drive that I believe lost the partition on it. It will not boot into Windows (7) and when I attach it to another computer via USB/SATA adapter, it mounts 3 separate partitions (drive letters M, N and O) but when I click on any of them I receive the error:

N:\ is not accessible. The parameter is incorrect.​
I am confused at what to do because if it was a damaged or lost partition, shouldn't it not show up at all as a mounted drive? Looking for any help you can offer.

Relevancy 64.5%

I unfortunately dropped my dell inspiron n laptop yesterday on carpet and when I booted it lead me to windows recovery stating xc ce either external usb problem or cd dvd hard drive failure etc I was able to go on safe mode but I wasn't able to retrive my files and my laptop was runnign really slow After that I restarted many times and finally I was able to boot normally but again it would take - minutes and it would lag all the time I was able to transfer my files to an external flash drive most of drive damaged laptop hard HELP dropped them but I lost patience dropped laptop damaged hard drive HELP because it would lag etc And after min or so it would shut off without notice No files were missing and everything seems ok expect for the speed part I also did a check disk upon reboot and it said it found no bad sectors so I am puzzled why the result is lik that I n my case what is the best solution buy another hdd reinstall hdd or reinstall windows Also I still have som videos that I wasn't able to transfer so what is the best way to retrieve them Also the RAM at the back when I unscrewed the cover the first time to see if it was just a loose memory problem were popped out so I put them back in again by slightly pushing them down until the metal things on the side clicked them dropped laptop damaged hard drive HELP into place Now when I tried to take the RAM again by pushing those metal things on the side apart the RAM didn't pop out I had to slide them out carefully is that normal thank you oh and I am running windows

A:dropped laptop damaged hard drive HELP

Hi bstvrhd,

The unit most likely at fault is the HDD. What I would recommend you to do is install Windows on an external Harddrive OR run an Ubuntu Live CD on an USB drive, and see if the problem persists. If all the above options run well, it's most likely the HDD. Thats where I would start atleast :)

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/dropped-laptop-damaged-hard-drive-help-585241.html
Relevancy 64.5%

Hello I have a WD quot My Passport quot external USB drive that keeps USB disconnecting/disappearing drive hard I connect as a backup for USB hard drive keeps disconnecting/disappearing my system The problem I'm having is that the drive keeps disappearing randomly Sometimes I have to unplug it and re-plug it in or times before my computer recognizes it I've tried several USB ports and still have the same problem The hard drive itself doesn't have a shut off switch so it takes its cues from the computer power management system When I plug the device in sometimes the drive doesn't mount but the power light on the drive will turn on Why is it randomly turning on and off And why do I sometimes have to plug and unplug the device several times before it correctly recognizes it as a hard drive with all its data in tact Though my other USB devices do not randomly disappear while running they often take three or four plug ins and plug outs before they're recognized in the first place USB hard drive keeps disconnecting/disappearing How can I fix this as I need a reliable backup drive always hooked up

A:USB hard drive keeps disconnecting/disappearing

In power management (Control Panel) go into the advanced details of your power scheme and alter the settings which power-down your hard drives and USB interfacing to save energy - this will mean your device is kept running and is perma-detectable.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/53445-usb-hard-drive-keeps-disconnecting-disappearing.html
Relevancy 64.5%

I want to get an external hard drive dvd burner combo if there is such a thing To make this question as simple as possible I need a drive/dvd-rw External OR Solved: combo? External drive Hard Hard hard drive that my camera can be plugged into with the firewire I also need the hard drive that is able to plug in to the USB slot on my computer Solved: External Hard drive OR External Hard drive/dvd-rw combo? because my new Dell doesn t seem to tolerate a firewire card which I installed and then took out and returned to the store It froze my computer and I tried everything to stabilize it but had no luck It did work long enough to download min or so of video and I burned that onto a cd Thats when I found out I had a dvd-rom not a dvd burner long story I know Sorry I just want to figure out the most economical way now to save my movies and burn them to dvd also using either another external dvd burner or maybe there is a hard drive dvd burner combo Or should I just get two separate externals Again I need the hard drive burner to plug into my computer with usb Then the firewire from the camera would go into the hard drive burner to download the movies nbsp

Relevancy 63.64%

The problem is with a Toshiba Laptop and a gb SATA hitachi hard drive Of Hard (probably from starting Slow drive damaged) computer keeps which around gb were used the rest was empty From which I want to recover some files Problem started Completely randomly the computer was working fine it ran out of battery and next time it wouldnt start Symptoms When you start the computer it starts loading windows Slow (probably damaged) Hard drive keeps computer from starting but once it gets past the logo it just freezes there it takes like minutes and then shows a black background and the cursor After that I left the computer on for hours and it didnt get past that all the time however the HD led was constantly on As if it was trying to read the hard drive Same or similar behaviour when trying to start in safe mode last known configuration and others Same behaviour when trying to boot from a windows installation disk It makes it all the way to showing the blue background of the installer but then stays there I disconnected the hard drive and plugged it via an USB adaptor to another computer the device manager recognizes it immediately but then it takes AGES to show in my pc and if you try to open the drive or anything it just freezes windows explorer The hard drive Slow (probably damaged) Hard drive keeps computer from starting manager has similar behaviour it takes around minutes just to show the drive I plugged the drive to another laptop as a secondary hard drive and it just doesnt lets the computer start again it freezes when trying to read the hard drive However now I was able to start chkdsk I left it working for around hours trough the night and it didnt get past At first it was just checking the segments at a VERY slow rate but then when I saw it this morning all the last segments that show as checked appear as quot unreadable quot So my thinking is The hard drive seems to be damaged beyond recovery tho I dont know what could have caused it since the computer only ran out of battery There was no power surge or anything of the kind the computer wasnt even plugged But I'm a bit confused as to why it CAN read enough information to actually try and start windows Show the logo and such My thinking is that the first sectors of the hard drive are okay Maybe the first mb or something including of course bootsector but that the rest of the information is simply beyond recovery Thats my thinking so far But obviously im still looking for ways to recover the information in the hard drive Next step I'm going to take is download a hitachi diagnose tool and try to run it with the hard drive connected via USB to another computer Is there any other steps or tools anyone would recommend to try and recover the information of this hard drive

A:Slow (probably damaged) Hard drive keeps computer from starting

Since you said you plugged it into your laptop; and it took ages to load once recognized; i would have to say that drive unfortunately is on its way out. However; you can attempt to recover the data you need using some of the free data recovery programs out there

I just googled for free recovery software; and since i am not a expert in the use of data recovery programs; I will let you look through the results and decide what route to go:

https://www.google.com/#q=free+data+recovery+software

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/317653-slow-probably-damaged-hard-drive-keeps-computer-starting.html
Relevancy 63.64%

i've recently tried to install ubuntu At first GRUB did not recognise windows on a different partition until I had to manually edit it when i attemped to boot into Windows XP Home HELP damaged led unistallation to WinXP Ubuntu Hard-drive, Edition there was a critical error that mentioned something Ubuntu unistallation led to damaged WinXP Hard-drive, HELP about my RIT and FAT partition unfortunatly i did not care to write down the exact message at that time i tried reinstalling ubuntu a couple Ubuntu unistallation led to damaged WinXP Hard-drive, HELP more times to see if it would change the results but nothing i had to constantly add a new line to my GRUB duel boot system When i was running Windows I had RestoreIT installed onto my PC this software application always loaded before Windows and had a chance to pop-up before the this critical message error it mentioned that my Windows partition had been modified by non-Windows OS After i received that message i had completely unistalled Ubuntu but since GRUB was still on my computer i deleted all existing partitions except for my origional WinXP's partition with the information i am trying to recover and reinstalled windows Now with WinXP installed i check my old hard drive and there are only files and they are all unrecognized by Windows LAYERS BACKFILE FRLOADER RIT LAYERS LAYERS LAYERS VBBASIC RIT VBFBP DAT file VBFBP DAT file VBFBP DAT file all of these files equal up to GiB so im almost positive that this is my old hard-drive but i dont know why this happend and how to open them or in any way recover my information I have a back-up of these files so im willing to try anything Oh and despite haveing RestoreIT I did not back up any of my save-points onto removable media

A:Ubuntu unistallation led to damaged WinXP Hard-drive, HELP

Hello & welcome to TSF,

I have seen this befor when one of my friends installed Ubuntu on his system

he ended up having to manually erase the whole drive & start from scratch

Killdisk is a great 3rd party eraser & free and can be downloaded from

(http://www.killdisk.com

Mike

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/ubuntu-unistallation-led-to-damaged-winxp-hard-drive-help-290245.html
Relevancy 63.64%

Hi,

I have been having mechanical problems with my harddrive. Its so noisy and staggering that I want to replace it. The main problem is that my computer (Packard Bell) came with 2 recovery disks on two different disks. A CD-ROM (master) and a Boot diskette. Recently I discovered that the boot diskette has become currupted and will no longer work. My warranty has run out years ago i've tried packard bell but to no reply.

So i'm here asking you guys wether there is another way round my problem. I want to install a new hard drive but have got only the CD-ROM part of the recovery disks.

Help!!!!

Thanks for your time!
TRan1

Relevancy 63.64%

My computer crashed, I put in my recovery CD and it said
"Operating system: Unknown on (Unknown) Local Disk"

Then i went into the command prompt and put "diskpart", then "list disk", and it shows up like this:

DISKPART> list disk

DISK ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt
--------- -------- ------ ----- --- ---
Disk 0 .. No Media 0 B 0 B

Will I have to get a new hard drive? Should I put "select disk 0" and then "clean"?

Relevancy 63.64%

I had an old XP machine that I ran my email server on A drive damaged repair hard spinning to Software few days ago it started to give me BSODs and after a few reboots refused to boot any Software to repair damaged spinning hard drive longer I purchased a new desktop that came with Windows Pro I then removed the hard drive from the old XP machine and attached it to that Windows computer and tried to read data off of it Unfortunately Windows Explorer was very slow to read the quot Users quot folder on the old HDD and eventually started to give me CRC redundancy errors Luckily I had a somewhat recent backup of most of the data but still I will lose about a week of data if I don't read it from the HDD that crashed So I'm curious if there's any software that can recover data from that hard drive Anything in Windows itself PS I tried to use SpinRite but that software is very old amp slow and it doesn't seem to work with newer hard drives larger than GB Mine is GB I tried it on two desktops and it crashed twice on me with this error Worse still their support blame my BIOS for which I tried every possible setting with no luck

A:Software to repair damaged spinning hard drive

You need to use a Sector by Sector program like EaseUS Todo Workstation. When you want to copy information from a hard drive that is failing, you never want to try and use it any more than you can. Otherwise you are going to end up with not being able to rescue anything after the heads have thrashed the coating on the platters so much that they are wrecked.

You are best to always keep a copy of files like media, documents, etc on a NAS or cloud drive, so that you always have them in a safe place.

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/60986-software-repair-damaged-spinning-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 63.64%

I bought a used laptop some time ago. While the hard drive has a 40 Gig capacity according to the original paperwork, I can only access 10.6 Gigs on the C drive. IBM help says it may be damaged, Geek Squad says the hard drive was probably partitioned with only 10.6 formatted. How can I find out what happened to the remaining 29.4 Gigs of space? If formatting is the issue, how do I format the remaining portion of the hard drive?

Thank you!

A:Missing 30 Gigs on hard drive- unformatted or damaged?

Hello crepscular5,

Right-click my computer, select Manage. Under "Storage" in the left column click "Disk Management." What does it say about the hard drive?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/missing-30-gigs-on-hard-drive-unformatted-or-damaged.763609/
Relevancy 63.64%

Hi All, My hard drive has been damaged and I'm planning to take this opportunity to upgrade to an SSD. Admittedly I am rather inexperienced in computer parts and there is little information online per SSD drive compatibility besides ads promoting the sale of certain upgrade kits. Can you recommend a model of SSD that is compatible with the Lenovo Ideapad S400? I'd like a 240gb SSD drive. I've been looking at the SanDisk 240GB 520mbs SATA III SSD. I've also heard that some notebooks might need sizing brackets for their drive replacements, will I require one for the S400? Thanks for your help.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-IdeaPad-100-305-500-Edge/Ideapad-S400-Upgrading-Damaged-Hard-Drive-to-SSD/td-p/3304223
Relevancy 63.64%

GMER - http www gmer net Rootkit scan - - Windows Harddisk DR - gt Device Ide IAAStorageDevice- TOSHIBA rev FG Running gmer exe Driver C Users CURTJU AppData Local Temp uwryqpow sys ---- System - GMER ---- SSDT E ED ZwAlertResumeThread SSDT E EDF partly with still damaged. virus?hard this drive am i infected ZwAlertThread SSDT DEB F ZwAllocateVirtualMemory SSDT CDC A ZwAlpcConnectPort SSDT E ZwAssignProcessToJobObject SSDT E D D ZwCreateMutant SSDT A F A ZwCreateSection SSDT E ZwCreateSymbolicLinkObject SSDT E D ZwCreateThread SSDT E ZwCreateThreadEx SSDT E ZwDebugActiveProcess SSDT E DDC ZwDuplicateObject SSDT E B ZwFreeVirtualMemory am i still infected with this virus?hard drive partly damaged. SSDT E D C ZwImpersonateAnonymousToken SSDT E EC ZwImpersonateThread SSDT F D E ZwLoadDriver SSDT E B ZwMapViewOfSection SSDT E D F ZwOpenEvent SSDT E D ZwOpenProcess SSDT E D ZwOpenProcessToken SSDT E D ZwOpenSection SSDT E DE ZwOpenThread SSDT E ZwProtectVirtualMemory SSDT A F A ZwRequestWaitReplyPort SSDT DB ZwResumeThread SSDT A F A B ZwSetContextThread SSDT E B A ZwSetInformationProcess SSDT A F A ZwSetSecurityObject SSDT E ZwSetSystemInformation SSDT E D ZwSuspendProcess SSDT E EED ZwSuspendThread SSDT A F A A ZwSystemDebugControl am i still infected with this virus?hard drive partly damaged. SSDT A F A ZwTerminateProcess SSDT E EF ZwTerminateThread SSDT E B ZwUnmapViewOfSection SSDT DEB ZwWriteVirtualMemory ---- Kernel code sections - GMER ---- text ntkrnlpa exe ZwSaveKeyEx AD A C Byte text ntkrnlpa exe KiDispatchInterrupt A AA F Bytes E F BA F LOOPNZ x MOV EDX x f MOV CR EAX OR AL x MOV CR EAX RET MOV ECX CR text ntkrnlpa exe RtlSidHashLookup AA Bytes ED E F ED E text am i still infected with this virus?hard drive partly damaged. ntkrnlpa exe RtlSidHashLookup C AA C Bytes F B DE text ntkrnlpa exe RtlSidHashLookup AA Bytes A C CD TEST AL xc INT x text ntkrnlpa exe RtlSidHashLookup C AA C Bytes E PUSH EAX PUSH ES JECXZ xffffffffffffff text ntkrnlpa exe RtlSidHashLookup AA Bytes D D E RCL AH x LOOP xffffffffffffff text C Users CURTJU AppData Local Temp mbr sys The system cannot find the file specified ---- User code sections - GMER ---- text C Program Files Safari Safari exe USER dll EndPaint E B Bytes JMP F C Program Files Common Files Apple Apple Application Support WebKit dll WebKit Dynamic Link Library Apple Inc text C Program Files Safari Safari exe USER dll BeginPaint E B Bytes JMP F F C Program Files Common Files Apple Apple Application Support WebKit dll WebKit Dynamic Link Library Apple Inc ---- Registry - GMER ---- Reg HKLM SYSTEM CurrentControlSet services BTHPORT Parameters Keys a b af e Reg HKLM SYSTEM CurrentControlSet services BTHPORT Parameters Keys ceee f cc Reg HKLM SYSTEM CurrentControlSet services BTHPORT Parameters Keys ceee f cc f xA x xB x C Reg HKLM SYSTEM ControlSet services BTHPORT Parameters Keys a b af e not active ControlSet Reg HKLM SYSTEM ControlSet services BTHPORT Parameters Keys ceee f cc not active ControlSet Reg HKLM SYSTEM ControlSet services BTHPORT Parameters Keys ceee f cc f xA x xB x C ---- EOF - GMER ---- DDS Ver - - - NTFSx Internet Explorer BrowserJavaVersion Run by curtjumaine at on - - Microsoft Windows Starter GMT AV Norton Internet Security Disabled Outdated DF - - D- - DC EFD BF AV Avira Desktop Enabled Updated F B DE -C B - C F- EFF- C BD D C C SP Avira Desktop Enabled Updated D AAC -E E- B - F- F C DA SP Windows Defender Enabled Updated D DDC A- F- fae- E -DA C ACF SP Norton Internet Security Disabled Updated D BEB -B A- E - B -B B FW Norton Internet Security Disabled BE D -DB F- - AD - F E C FC Running Processes C Windows system wininit exe C Windows system lsm exe C Windows system svchost exe -k DcomLaunch C Windows system svchost exe -k RPCSS C Windows System svchost exe -k LocalServiceNetworkRestricted C Windows System svchost exe -k LocalSystemNetworkRestricted C Windows system svchost exe -k netsvcs C Windows System DriverStore FileRepository stwrt inf x neutral b cef f d f... Read more

A:am i still infected with this virus?hard drive partly damaged.

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer! I am HelpBot: an automated program designed to help the Bleeping Computer Staff better assist you! This message contains very important information, so please read through all of it before doing anything. We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here. To help Bleeping Computer better assist you please perform the following steps:*************************************************** In order to continue receiving help at BleepingComputer.com, YOU MUST tell me if you still need help or if your issue has already been resolved on your own or through another resource! To tell me this, please click on the following link and follow the instructions there.CLICK THIS LINK >>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/logreply/428711 <<< CLICK THIS LINK If you no longer need help, then all you needed to do was the previous instructions of telling me so. You can skip the rest of this post. If you do need help please continue with Step 2 below.*************************************************** If you still need help, I would like you to post a Reply to this topic (click the "Add Reply" button in the lower right hand of this page). In that reply, please include the following information:If you have not done so already, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.A new DDS and GMER log. For your convenience, you will find the instructions for generating these logs repeated at the bottom of this post.
Please do this even if you have previously posted logs for us.If you were unable to produce the logs originally please try once more.If you are unable to create a log please provide detailed information about your installed Windows Operating System including the Version, Edition and if it is a 32bit or a 64bit system. If you are unsure about any of these characteristics just post what you can and we will guide you.Please tell us if you have your original Windows CD/DVD available. Upon completing the above steps and posting a reply, another staff member will review your topic and do their best to resolve your issues.Thank you for your patience, and again sorry for the delay.*************************************************** We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan again: Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links if you no longer have it available. Save it to your desktop.DDS.scr DDS.pifDouble click on the DDS icon, allow it to run. A small box will open, with an explanation about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running. Notepad will open with the results. Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results. Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet. Information on A/V control HERE We also need a new log from the GMER anti-rootkit Scanner. Please note that if you are running a 64-bit version of Windows you will not be able to run GMER and you may skip this step. Please first disable any CD emulation programs using the steps found in this topic: Why we request you disable CD Emulation when receiving Malware Removal Advice Then create another GMER log and post it as an attachment to the reply where you post your new DDS log. Instructions on how to properly create a GMER log can be found here: How to create a GME... Read more

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/428711/am-i-still-infected-with-this-virushard-drive-partly-damaged/
Relevancy 63.64%

I have a damaged hard drive (fujitsu model #M1623TAU). It is currently attached to another hard drive as the Primary Slave. It is showing as drive d: in explorer with some of the directories, specifically Windows, Program Files, and My Documents. I don't care about these directories! I want a folder named Admin6 which is not showing! Scandisk will not work - gives me the message that becuase of the amount of damage it cannot perform a scan. I am not a brilliant techie - I have just enough knowledge about this stuff to get frustrated. Can anyone help? How do I get that directory off of there? My butt is in hot water over this one. Thanks a bunch to anyone who responds,
Sincerely,
Marion

Relevancy 63.21%

Hi. I'm new here. Am hoping someone can help me with my infected computer.First off; I have Windows Vista, Dell Dimension, McAfee Antivirus.My McAfee alerted me to a found trojan and said it got rid of it. Shortly after I started having computer issues and the following message came up:Critical error damaged hard drive clusters detected?? Private data is at risk!!Then it says there is no disc space.I went to another computer to try to find some answers. It was suggested to run Dell Diagnostics and I did that, going through the memory and all hard drives. It came up with no problems. I then went to Device Manager and started looking into that when the error messages came up again.Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

A:Critical error damaged hard drive clusters detected??

Have a read of this to see if it relates to your problem or not Mitann

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/403261/critical-error-damaged-hard-drive-clusters-detected/
Relevancy 63.21%

While running memtest86 on a bootable cd, it froze which I then restarted my computer. It is now unable to start up Windows 7 Ultimate x64. I can reinstall Windows but would like to know if the whole event damaged my hard drive. I can only start up to where the orbs make the Windows logo before it restarts. Also there is no noise, smoke or smell coming from my hard drive. Is it possible that it is damaged beyond use and repair?
Also my BIOS seems to have changed the name of the Hard drive to SATA instead of HDD

A:Is my hard drive broken/damaged from being unable to start Windows?

If you know your way around the bios head into there & set it back to default & reboot. See how that goes.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/204226-my-hard-drive-broken-damaged-being-unable-start-windows.html
Relevancy 63.21%

Hi!
I am running Windows 7 Enterprise with Bitlocker.
Unfortunately I ran into problems booting up and eventually it looked like the harddrive (SSD) was malfunctioning. My backup solution was fresh so I haven't given it much thought, just replaced the drive, but I would still like to know if it's possible to
recover data from the drive while it's encrypted with Bitlocker?
I have searched the net for info but none of them seem to focus on my problem; the drive itself shows no volume information, so I'm unable to run any decryption protocols on it. Therefore I'm unable to run any recovery software on it either.
I'm afraid I might've made the situation worse with my attempts at recovery, but still, any help is appreciated!

Best Regards,
Heini

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f055fbd8-420c-46fb-aa0e-59e2706f66bf/recover-bitlocker-volume-information-from-a-damaged-hard-drive?forum=w7itprogeneral
Relevancy 63.21%

Hi,

I have recently had problems with this error message. It does not seem confined to a particular program since it appears for Adobe updates, Paperport applications and Registry Mechanic (installation, repair and reinstallations).

If you Google the error message, it seems that this problem appears for a multitude of applications and may be more pervase than it appears.

I have tried to install by turning off McAfee, ran CWShredder and Spybot, tried to install from various hard drives with no success.

Any help?
Thanks

A:This program has been damaged, possibly by a bad sector of the hard drive or a virus.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/this-program-has-been-damaged-possibly-by-a-bad-sector-of-the-hard-drive-or-a-virus.530162/
Relevancy 63.21%

As my computer has become increasingly unstable I intend to use the manufacturer's restore discs and start again from scratch. I have a secondary hard disk installed which is used exclusively for data storage. I do not wish to lose this data (most of it is backed up on CD/DVD but it would be a real hassle to reload and reorganise it all).

When I reinstall Windows will it ignore the secondary drive and just reformat to the C: drive?

Being of a nervous disposition I thought of disconnecting the secondary drive before the reinstall and reconnecting after I had got the main drive sorted. What will happen on reconnecting the secondary drive? Will all data still be intact and accessible?

Relevancy 63.21%

I had an Acer laptop which fell off the bed and stopped working. I now have been trying to recover my data from its hard drive for about 2 months. I connected it with my new laptop via USB and am using Remo Recovery Software to retrieve the files but the problem is, the hard drive keeps disconnecting every couple of minutes (there is a click every time it does). I would really appreciate some advice on how to fix this problem, reconnect it different or ideally what software would not stop the recovery when the hard drive disconnects but pause it and wait until it connects again. Thank you!

Relevancy 62.35%

Hi in the last couple of days I can no longer execute programs on of my hard drives The message I get is quot This program has been damaged possibly by a bad sector of the hard drive or a virus Please reinstall it quot If I re-boot into Safe Mode I can execute them I've run Spybot Virus. Of Drive Bad Reinstall This Has Damaged, Possibly Been A Sector The It. Hard A Please Or Program By I have AVG Anti-Virus free I just upgraded from Zonealarm Free to Pro I've also run McAfee Stinger Counterspy F-Secure Panda Ad-Aware SE etc They found a few virii and removed them but I still have the same problem My PC is running Windows XP Pro with all the SPs and updates I thought it might be CWS and downloaded amp ran the shredder but it didn't find it I'm hoping someone can give me a hand with this because it's driving me crazy Here's my HijackThis log Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at on - - Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exeC WINDOWS system winlogon exeC WINDOWS system services exeC WINDOWS system lsass exeC WINDOWS system Ati evxx exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC PROGRA COMMON Stardock SDMCP exeC WINDOWS system ctfmon exeC WINDOWS system spoolsv exec program files common files logitech lvmvfm LVPrcSrv exeC WINDOWS system Ati evxx exeD Program Files Sunbelt Software CounterSpy Consumer sunThreatEngine exeD Program Files Sunbelt Software CounterSpy Consumer SunProtectionServer exeD Program Files Sunbelt Software CounterSpy Consumer sunserver exeC Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy This Program Has Been Damaged, Possibly By A Bad Sector Of The Hard Drive Or A Virus. Please Reinstall It. TeaTimer exed Program Files Zone Labs ZoneAlarm zlclient exeC Program Files CA eTrust Internet Security Suite cctray cctray exeD Program Files CA eTrust PestPatrol CAPPActiveProtection exeD Program Files Pando Networks Pando Pando exeE Program Files Grisoft AVG Free avgcc exeC Program Files SureType SureType exed Program Files RFA rfagent exeD Program Files GPSoftware Directory Opus dopus exeC Program Files Logitech Desktop Messenger Program LogitechDesktopMessenger exeC WINDOWS System spool DRIVERS W X fpdisp a exeC Program Files Iomega AutoDisk ADUserMon exeC Program Files ATI Technologies ATI Control Panel atiptaxx exeC WINDOWS System spool DRIVERS W X fppdis a exeC Program Files Iomega DriveIcons ImgIcon exeC Program Files BigFix BigFix exeD Program Files Belkin Bulldog Plus upsd exeC Program Files Logitech Harmony Remote harmonyClient exeC Program Files Logitech SetPoint KEM exeC Program Files Logitech SetPoint KHALMNPR EXED Program Files Belkin Bulldog Plus MUPS exeD Program Files PerSono perstray exeC Program Files Quick View Plus Program qvp exeD Program Files Active SMART ActiveSMART exeD Program Files Say the Time SayTime exeD Program Files Say the Time SayTime exeC Program Files Palm HOTSYNC EXED Program Files Adobe Photoshop Elements PhotoshopElementsFileAgent exeD Program Files SmileyPad SmileyPad exeD Program Files POP Peeper POPPeeper exee PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgamsvr exeC Program Files RoboMagic WetSock wetsock exee PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgupsvc exeC Program Files TechSmith SnagIt SnagIt exeD Program Files Diskeeper Corporation Diskeeper DkService exeC WINDOWS system WTablet TabUserW exeC PROGRA Iomega System AppServices exeC Program Files Yahoo WidgetEngine YahooWidgetEngine exeC Program Files CA SharedComponents PPRT bin ITMRTSVC exeC Program Files Logitech Logitech Harmony Remote Software HarmonyRemote exeC Program Files TechSmith SnagIt TSCHelp exeD Program Files Adobe Photoshop Elements PhotoshopElementsDeviceConnect exeD Program Files SpywareGuard sgmain exeC Program Files Yahoo WidgetEngine YahooWidgetEngine exeC Program Files Yahoo WidgetEngine YahooWidgetEngine exeC WINDOWS system HPZipm exeC Program Files Yahoo WidgetEngine YahooWidgetEngine exeC PROGRA EFFICI ENTERN app pppoeservice exeC Program Files Yahoo WidgetEngine Yaho... Read more

A:This Program Has Been Damaged, Possibly By A Bad Sector Of The Hard Drive Or A Virus. Please Reinstall It.

Hi and welcome to Bleeping Computer! My name is Sam and I will be helping you.
I apologize for the delay getting to your log, the helpers here are very busy.

If you still need help, please post a fresh Hijackthis log, in this thread, so I can help you with your malware problems.
If you have resolved this issue please let us know.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/69089/this-program-has-been-damaged-possibly-by-a-bad-sector-of-the-hard-drive-or-a-virus-please-reinstall-it/
Relevancy 62.35%

Not sure what I have or what to do any By Please A Or Damaged, Program Been Bad Of Drive A This Possibly Reinstall Hard Virus. Sector Has It. The help is appreciated Did all steps mentioned in the instructions for posting a log Running processes C This Program Has Been Damaged, Possibly By A Bad Sector Of The Hard Drive Or A Virus. Please Reinstall It. WINDOWS System smss exeC WINDOWS system winlogon exeC WINDOWS system services exeC WINDOWS system lsass exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC WINDOWS This Program Has Been Damaged, Possibly By A Bad Sector Of The Hard Drive Or A Virus. Please Reinstall It. System svchost exeC WINDOWS system LEXBCES EXEC WINDOWS system spoolsv exeC WINDOWS system LEXPPS EXEC This Program Has Been Damaged, Possibly By A Bad Sector Of The Hard Drive Or A Virus. Please Reinstall It. WINDOWS Explorer EXEC WINDOWS ehome ehtray exeC WINDOWS SOUNDMAN EXEC Program Files Common Files AOL ee AOLSoftware exeC Program Files Digital Media Reader readericon G exeC WINDOWS system RUNDLL EXEC Program Files Lexmark X -X lxbbbmgr exeC Program Files DAEMON Tools daemon exeC Program Files Lexmark X -X lxbbbmon exeC Program Files Common Files AOL ee services safetyCore ver AOLSP Scheduler exeC Program Files mcafee com personal firewall MPfTray exeC Program Files Java jre bin jusched exeC Program Files Common Files Ahead Lib NMBgMonitor exeC Program Files MSN Messenger MsnMsgr ExeC Program Files BigFix bigfix exeC Program Files Common Files AOL ee aolsoftware exeC Program Files KODAK Kodak EasyShare software bin EasyShare exeC Program Files KODAK KODAK Software Updater Program backWeb- exeC Program Files Common Files AOL ACS AOLAcsd exeC Program Files Common Files AOL TopSpeed aoltsmon exeC Program Files Common Files AOL ee services safetyCore ver aolavupd exeC Program Files Cisco System VPN Client cvpnd exeC WINDOWS eHome ehRecvr exeC WINDOWS eHome ehSched exeC Program Files CA PPRT bin ITMRTSVC exeC Program Files Common Files LightScribe LSSrvc exeC Program Files mcafee com personal firewall MPFService exeC WINDOWS system nvsvc exeC Program Files Common Files New Boundary PrismXL PRISMXL SYSC Program Files Common Files Roxio Shared SharedCOM RoxMediaDB exeC Program Files Common Files Roxio Shared SharedCOM RoxWatch exeC WINDOWS system r server exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC WINDOWS eHome ehmsas exeC WINDOWS system dllhost exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exeC Program Files America Online waol exeC Program Files America Online shellmon exeC Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exeC Program Files hijackthis HijackThis exeR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www yahoo com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Connection Wizard ShellNext http www gateway com g startpage html Ch TP amp M GT R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride localhostO - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dllO - BHO no name - - F - D - - D F - C Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy SDHelper dllO - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dllO - BHO Google Toolbar Helper - AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - c program files google googletoolbar dllO - BHO Browser Address Error Redirector - CA C - B - E-A -A C DB F - c windows system BAE dllO - Toolbar amp Google - C B - - d - B - A CD F - c program files google googletoolbar dllO - HKLM Run ehTray C WINDOWS ehome ehtray exeO - HKLM Run SoundMan SOUNDMAN EXEO - HKLM Run NvCplDaemon RUND... Read more

A:This Program Has Been Damaged, Possibly By A Bad Sector Of The Hard Drive Or A Virus. Please Reinstall It.

Welcome to the BleepingComputer forum. We are currently studying your log and will have instructions for you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

During the cleaning process, if any other issues arise, please let us know.
If you have already posted this log at another forum or if you decide to seek help at another forum, please let us know. There is a shortage of helpers and taking the time of two volunteer helpers means that someone else may not be helped.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/76835/this-program-has-been-damaged-possibly-by-a-bad-sector-of-the-hard-drive-or-a-virus-please-reinstall-it/
Relevancy 62.35%

Hi Lenovo X LaptopWindows Service Pack Vista My computer has been BSODing regularly for the last couple months I called Lenovo last month and they diagnosed it as needing a hard drive replacement I think the hard drive finally crashed on me today I want to find out if I can rescue any files off of my Can't Help Files? Drive, Damaged Lenovo Boot Up Laptop, Rescuing Hard hard drive before I send it to Lenovo for a new hard drive Problem description When I try to boot up the computer it only gives me two options run Lenovo Rescue and Recovery Can't Boot Up Lenovo Laptop, Damaged Hard Drive, Help Rescuing Files? or Start Windows Normally When I try to Start Windows Normally it BSODs and fails to boot every single time I have tried many times with the error code x give or take a few s I also cannot boot through Lenovo Rescue and Recovery RnR loads but then it asks me to select my operating system from a list menu and none shows up I have no choice but to cancel RnR and Start Windows Normally which then fails and gives me a BSOD I can send in the laptop to Lenovo right now and have them replace the hard drive However that would involve losing all my data Is there a way for me to rescue some files from my hard drive before I send it in and they wipe my hard drive Note this laptop has no CD drive and I do not possess an external CD drive I do not possess any Windows disks of any sort If necessary I can access several other Windows computers that do have CD drives Thanks for any help you can offer

A:Can't Boot Up Lenovo Laptop, Damaged Hard Drive, Help Rescuing Files?

If you are going to send the drive to Lenovo anyway...why not ask them if they can transfer data files, etc...in the process of installing the new hard drive?

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/324647/cant-boot-up-lenovo-laptop-damaged-hard-drive-help-rescuing-files/
Relevancy 62.35%

Hi First day in these forums Hope to get help Anyway I ve got this problem I keep getting a strange error when I try to hard damaged, the bad possibly been drive of virus. had or [solved] a program sector run a couple programs The error quot this program had been damaged possibly a bad sector of the hard drive or virus Please reinstal it quot Here s my Hijackthis log Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C windows System smss exe C windows [solved] program had been damaged, possibly a bad sector of the hard drive or virus. system winlogon exe C windows system services exe C windows system lsass exe C windows system svchost exe C windows System svchost exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec [solved] program had been damaged, possibly a bad sector of the hard drive or virus. Shared ccSetMgr exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccEvtMgr exe C windows Explorer EXE C windows system spoolsv exe C Program Files Microsoft IntelliPoint point exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared VS Debug mdm exe C Program Files Norton AntiVirus [solved] program had been damaged, possibly a bad sector of the hard drive or virus. navapsvc exe C Program Files Norton AntiVirus AdvTools NPROTECT EXE C windows System nvsvc exe C windows System ctfmon exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Documents and Settings Administrator Desktop HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page bak about blank O - BHO no name - - F - D - - D F - C Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy SDHelper dll O - BHO no name - AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - c program files google googletoolbar dll O - BHO NAV Helper - BDF E -B - AD-A -FADC B - C Program Files Norton AntiVirus NavShExt dll O - Toolbar Norton AntiVirus - CDD BF- FFB- - AD - DF B D - C Program Files Norton AntiVirus NavShExt dll O - Toolbar amp Radio - E - F- D - E- A C - C WINDOWS System msdxm ocx O - Toolbar amp Google - C B - - d - B - A CD F - c program files google googletoolbar dll O - HKLM Run IntelliPoint quot C Program Files Microsoft IntelliPoint point exe quot O - HKLM Run ccApp quot C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe quot O - HKLM Run Advanced Tools Check C PROGRA NORTON AdvTools ADVCHK EXE O - HKLM Run NvCplDaemon RUNDLL EXE C windows System NvCpl dll NvStartup O - HKCU Run MSMSGS quot C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe quot background O - HKCU Run ctfmon exe C windows System ctfmon exe O - Global Startup Microsoft Office lnk C Program Files Microsoft Office Office OSA EXE O - Global Startup GetRight - Tray Icon lnk C Program Files GetRight getright exe O - Global Startup Adobe Gamma Loader lnk C Program Files Common Files Adobe Calibration Adobe Gamma Loader exe O - Extra context menu item amp Google Search - res c program files google GoogleToolbar dll cmsearch html O - Extra context menu item Backward amp Links - res c program files google GoogleToolbar dll cmbacklinks html O - Extra context menu item Cac amp hed Snapshot of Page - res c program files google GoogleToolbar dll cmcache html O - Extra context menu item Download with GetRight - C Program Files GetRight GRdownload htm O - Extra context menu item Open with GetRight Browser - C Program Files GetRight GRbrowse htm O - Extra context menu item Si amp milar Pages - res c program files google GoogleToolbar dll cmsimilar html O - Extra context menu item Translate into English - res c program files google GoogleToolbar dll cmtrans html O - Extra button AIM HKLM O - Trusted Zone http www neopets com O - Trusted Zone http www neopets com O - DPF Yahoo Pool - http download games yahoo com games clients y potc x cab O - DPF B BCA- F C- CF- - Shockwave ActiveX Control - http download macromedia com pub shockwave cabs director sw cab O - DPF B F-D BF- -B ... Read more

A:[solved] program had been damaged, possibly a bad sector of the hard drive or virus.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-program-had-been-damaged-possibly-a-bad-sector-of-the-hard-drive-or-virus.236010/
Relevancy 62.35%

I have an around 9 years old Dell Dimension 8200 PC with Windows XP and USB 2.0 ports. If I get a USB 3.0 external hard drive enclosure, will I be able to plug the enclosure into my USB 2.0 ports using the USB 3.0 cable that comes with the enclosure? Will I need any kind of adapter to do it?

Will it run slower than a normal USB 2.0 connection because perhaps USB 3.0 is having to be translated into USB 2.0?

I was thinking of putting a 2 TB hard drive into the enclosure. Is there any limit to how big of an external hard drive can be used with a 9 year old Dimension 8200 PC?

Thanks

A:USB 3.0 External Drive on USB 2.0 Port

It should work just fine connecting to the USB 2.0 ports on the PC with the supplied cable and there should be no performance loss over a USB 2.0 device. There is no limited to the size of the drive that can be used if its connected via USB as long as you are using Service Pack 1 or higher for Windows XP.

However the Dimension 8200 appears to have only USB 1.1 ports, have you added a USB 2.0 card to it? If not then you need to add either a PCI to USB 2.0 or 3.0 card, nut it must be PCI and most USB 3.0 cards are PCI-Express.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/usb-3-0-external-drive-on-usb-2-0-port.993012/
Relevancy 62.35%

I after and keyboard drive system hard Several disconnecting reconnecting errors a am having a issue with my father's desktop pc He has an HP Pavilion p f AMD Several hard drive system errors after disconnecting and reconnecting a keyboard Athlon II X GHz Quadcore Processor GB of memory TB SATA HD WINDOWS HOME PREMIUM Anyways this computer has run perfectly the past years we've had it until tonight I have been borrowing the Several hard drive system errors after disconnecting and reconnecting a keyboard keyboard that came along with it wired USB kb at night for my laptop as I spilled coffee on my wireless one and haven't replaced it yet Several times today the Pavilion would quot freeze up quot and the only way I could get it to shut down was by either hitting CTRL-Alt-DLT then unplugging the kb or manually turning the PC off The third time I went to restart it I got an error stating quot Checking file system on C The type of the file system is NTFS volume label is HP One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency quot So I allowed the chkdsk to run and when it got to about complete it started saying things like quot deleting such and such file on label xyz etc quot It did this for about - minutes By the time the OS finally loaded we got multiple error messages that Adobe and several other applications were corrupted I opened up the quot HP ADVISOR HP TOTAL CARE application that comes with the computer and it mentioned several things needed to be fixed and downloaded It got halfway thru that and gave me and error saying quot at HPAssistant Data dsActiveCheckRes load ACResults String filterCategory Boolean include Ignored quot This was in a popup message so I just closed it I was finally able to run quot Startup Repair quot and it told me quot Attempting repairs Repairing disk errors This might take over an hour to complete quot Well about minutes later it said it thought it had solved the problem and asked us to press a key to restart and make sure there were no more issues As soon as we rebooted we got the final error message quot Reboot and Select proper Boot Device or Insert Boot Media in Selected Boot Device and press a key quot Tried to reboot several times after that and now the PC is stuck at the initial screen where it lists quot F -Setup ESC-Boot Menu F -System Recovery F -Diagnostics quot I cannot get the computer past this point now and it will not recognize the keyboard at all Could switching in and out the keyboard several times along with manually shutting down the PC have damaged the main hard drive Every time I re-attached the keyboard to the PC and to my laptop it would have to find and then reinstall new drivers from the web My laptop runs Windows Home Premium -bit Could I have gotten a virus etc from this Any help is GREATLY appreciated and sorry for the novel Aaron

A:Several hard drive system errors after disconnecting and reconnecting a keyboard

also, we tried boot from a restore disk my dad already had and the cd-rom drive doesn't even try to load it

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/several-hard-drive-system-errors-after-disconnecting-and-reconnecting-a-keyboard-671603.html
Relevancy 62.35%

Hello,
I am trying to move all my files from my computer to my new external hard drive, but whenever I try and move a file over 4 GB in size i get this error message...
"The file is too large for the destination file system"... anyone know how I can get around this so I can move those files over?

A:Problem transfering large file from hard drive to external hard drive

Get ahold of some software that will break up the file into chunks.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-transfering-large-file-from-hard-drive-to-external-hard-drive.105596/
Relevancy 62.35%

I see it can be done from an installed to an external, but can it be done in reverse, taking the external cased hard drive and cloning it to an internal? The old hard drive is from an xp laptop, and I can aquire another xp laptop if I can clone this way. Perhaps if I set the enclosure hard drive as master? All ideas are greatly appreciated. Many thanks

A:Clone a laptop hard drive from an external case to an internal hard drive

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/clone-a-laptop-hard-drive-from-an-external-case-to-an-internal-hard-drive.1037757/
Relevancy 62.35%

Hey a Hard Drive Drive External an please! 80gb Enclosure, Zune help in Hard Putting guys My Zune gb stopped working a while back It wouldn t charge So I thought I would take Putting a Zune 80gb Hard Drive in an External Hard Drive Enclosure, help please! out the hard drive and use it as an external gb hard drive So I bought an quot ZIF encolsure for it and installed the hard drive into it All appears good with the installation When I plug the hard drive into the PC the light on the hard drive enclosure comes on and stays on amp the disk starts spinning Then Windows Vista does the whole quot Install new Hardware quot thing and calls it a quot Disk Drive quot and a quot USB Mass Storage Device quot and says hardware is installed and ready for use But the problem is I can t seem to access the drive I can t find it anywhere It doesn t show up as a drive I can use or anything I tried a third party partitioning prgram to try and find the disk so I could reformat it but it wouldn t it couldn t find it either I even plugged the drive into my Mac thinking that Disk Utility might be able to recognize it and let me wipe it but the Mac doesn t recognize it as anything Back in Vista Using Device Manager Vista notices the drive under the quot Disk Drives quot option as a quot Disk Drive quot and that it is elecronically signed by Microsoft since it has the Zune firmware on it but I can t do anything with it And this is the only place where I can see that the drive even exists I can t reformat it or anything Can anyone help me I thought I read somewhere that the problem is the zune firmware Is there anyway I can wipe it Please help I have spent hours searching online and can t seem to get anywhere If I have posted this is in the wrong forum I am sorry Thank you Timothy nbsp

A:Putting a Zune 80gb Hard Drive in an External Hard Drive Enclosure, help please!

anyone?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/putting-a-zune-80gb-hard-drive-in-an-external-hard-drive-enclosure-help-please.1009940/
Relevancy 61.92%

I found my old HP Mini in storage, but the hard drive has completely died.I was hoping to buy a replacement hard drive, but have no idea where and what to look at?Can someone please help me out?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Replacement-Hard-Drive-for-HP-Mini/td-p/5646945
Relevancy 61.92%

I was wondering if I can replace the 16GB ssd in my HP mini 1000 with a 120GB HDD. I found one on eBay with a zif connector but will it be compatible with the hardware in the laptop? The interface is ATA-7, is it the same as the mini?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-compatibility-for-hp-mini.852904/
Relevancy 61.92%

Could someone please list steps involved to take the Sony Mini Dvd and save the files on my hard drive. Some software programs I have on my computer are: By the way, I would prefer to just put the Mini DVD right into the DVD drive and go from there. I would rather not have to hook my camcorder through my PC.

Image Mixer (hate it)
Ulead
Adobe Premiere (very difficult to use)
Windows Movie Maker

Thanks for any help.

A:how to save from mini dvd to hard drive

You don't provide much detail, but assuming that you are using Windows of some recent vintage, you ought to be able to create a folder (on the desktop maybe) and just use Copy, Move or 'drag' the files into it. I am also assuming that the DVD drive can handle the mini-DVD, and that you can 'open' the DVD drive from 'My Computer'.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-save-from-mini-dvd-to-hard-drive.331234/
Relevancy 61.92%

I have an ipod mini and the hard drive went bad. just bought a 4gb hitachi from ebay. once (and if) i get the mini to work again, i'll post a how to guide for those of you who may encounter the same problem

A:Ipod mini hard drive

sounds good - my sons creative zen 60gb HDD gave up the ghost a while back - didnt think you could buyy the drives and replace ... may have been a lot cheaper

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ipod-mini-hard-drive.467770/
Relevancy 61.92%

I have a Archos USB mini hard drive that I have been able to make bootable to my Dell GX270 PC, but when I boot directly to it, it runs very slow, like USB1 speed. I can use a Win98 boot floppy to boot with and get USB2 speed, using USBASPI.SYS and GUEST.EXE. When I use the USBASPI.SYS file on my bootable hard drive, I get a command.com error. I tried replacing the command.com file with the same file on the floppy, but that dosn't work either. Can anyone help with this?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/boot-to-usb-mini-hard-drive.290358/
Relevancy 61.92%

Hi,

Not sure if this is the correct sub-section of the forum but couldn't see a more appropriate place.

Any advice appreciated: I'm trying to do a factory restore on my Acer Aspire laptop, as it started crashing, stalling etc. and then eventually just failing to boot up. I've gotten a fair bit of my important stuff off it using a Linux (Knoppix) disc, so am ready to do a factory restore.

However, when I try to do so, I get the error message: "WIMApplyImage Fail. Error: 045D" then I click on "OK" and it says "FAIL to restore image"

Any ideas? I'm worried that my hard drive may be physically damaged. When I listen it's making the odd whirring/clicking noise, but doesn't sound particularly out of the ordinary to me.

Or, on the other hand, does anybody know of any alternative options to the in built Acer factory restore?

Thanks,

Chris

A:(Acer Aspire laptop) Factory Restore failing - hard drive damaged?

Hi Chris. Welcome to TSF.

Have you tried opening up a terminal window and running chkdsk /r on your system? You might also run "sfc /scannow" from within the terminal window as well just to see if perhaps your problems are system-file related.

The clicking noise you're hearing is a bit troubling as it is often an indicator of an impending hard drive failure. I'm glad that you backed up your stuff though. Often that is one thing many people do NOT do and then they are left scrambling for ways to recover their data.

Good day!

Mike

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/acer-aspire-laptop-factory-restore-failing-hard-drive-damaged-583428.html
Relevancy 61.92%

When I open my dad s account he is not the administrator the desktop is black with a blue dialogue box WindowsRecovery which looks like it s from Vista or Windows which is weird because I run xp It says I have bad sectors on hard drive It also pops up a dialogue box quot Hard Drive Failure - The system has detected a problem with one or more installed IDE SATA Hard disks It is recommended that you restart the system quot RECOVERY detected] [CRITICAL clusters ERROR WINDOWS hard Damaged drive Also the lower right balloon near the clock says quot Critical error run a system diagnostic utility Windows can t find hard disk space quot and something about RAM Please help DDS Ver - - - NTFSx Run by Aman Enconado at on Sat Internet Explorer Microsoft Windows XP Professional GMT Running WINDOWS RECOVERY [CRITICAL ERROR Damaged hard drive clusters detected] Processes C WINDOWS system svchost -k rpcssC WINDOWS System svchost exe -k netsvcssvchost exesvchost exeC WINDOWS system LEXBCES EXEC WINDOWS system spoolsv exeC WINDOWS system LEXPPS EXEC Program Files Lavasoft Ad-Aware aawservice exeC Program Files AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic sched exeC Program Files AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic avguard exeC WINDOWS system svchost exe -k hpdevmgmtC WINDOWS System svchost exe -k HPZ C WINDOWS System svchost exe -k HPZ C WINDOWS System svchost exe -k imgsvcC WINDOWS Explorer EXEC Program Files AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic avgnt exeC WINDOWS Explorer EXEC Documents and Settings Aman Enconado Desktop dds scr Pseudo HJT Report uStart Page hxxp www google com ph mStart Page about blankuInternet Settings ProxyServer BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper e f-c d - d -b d- b d be b - c program files adobe acrobat activex AcroIEHelper dllBHO - f - d - - d f - c progra spybot SDHelper dllBHO CPrintEnhancer Object ae a aa-a - b -b -c e e fe - c program files hp smart web printing SmartWebPrinting dllTB amp Yahoo Toolbar ef bd -c fb- d - f- d f - EB BBE - E - D -AD - D AD - No FileEB Media Band - a - b-a - c a a - SystemRoot System browseui dllmRun avgnt quot c program files antivir personaledition classic avgnt exe quot mindRun CTFMON EXE StartupFolder c docume alluse startm programs startup adober lnk - c program files adobe acrobat reader reader sl exeStartupFolder c docume alluse startm programs startup autoru micros lnk - c program files microsoft office office OSA EXEStartupFolder c docume alluse startm programs startup autoru microt lnk - c program files microtek scanwizard ScannerFinder exemPolicies-system DisableTaskMgr x IE amp Clean Traces - c program files dap privacy package dapcleanerie htmIE amp Download with amp DAP - c program files dap dapextie htmIE Download amp all with DAP - c program files dap dapextie htmIE D A DEBD-C EE- f-B FB-E F A BC - c program files lenovo pkgmgr PkgMgr exeDPF DirectAnimation Java Classes - file c windows java classes dajava cabDPF Microsoft XML Parser for Java - file c windows java classes xmldso cabDPF EB E A- A - AB -A FB- BD C F F - hxxp www kaspersky com kos english kavwebscan unicode cabDPF -C A- E-A -C C BBF - hxxp go microsoft com fwlink linkid Notify igfxcui - igfxsrvc dllSEH - C F- A -A - D A F - No File FIREFOX FF - ProfilePath - c docume amanen applic mozilla firefox profiles x aqc n default FF - prefs js browser search selectedEngine - GoogleFF - prefs js browser startup homepage - hxxp en-us start mozilla com firefox client firefox-a amp rls org mozilla en-US officialFF - prefs js network proxy ftp - FF - prefs js network proxy ftp port - FF - prefs js network proxy gopher - FF - prefs js network proxy gopher port - FF - prefs js network proxy http - FF - prefs js network proxy http port - FF - prefs js network proxy socks - FF - prefs js network proxy socks port - FF - prefs js network proxy ssl - FF - prefs js network proxy ssl port - FF - prefs js network proxy type - FF - Ext Default ce c - e - -a - ce fd - c program files mozilla firefox extensions ce c - e - -a - ce fd SERVICES DRIVERS R avgn... Read more

A:WINDOWS RECOVERY [CRITICAL ERROR Damaged hard drive clusters detected]

Hello and Welcome to the forums! My name is Gringo and I'll be glad to help you with your computer problems. Somethings to remember while we are working together.Do not run any other tool untill instructed to do so!Please Do not Attach logs or put in code boxes.Tell me about any problems that have occurred during the fix.Tell me of any other symptoms you may be having as these can help also.Do not run anything while running a fix.We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.Click on the Watch Topic Button and select Immediate Notification and click on proceed, this will help you to get notified faster when I have replied and make the cleaning process faster.In order for me to see the status of the infection I will need a new set of logs to start with.Please print out or make a copy in notpad of any instructions given, as sometimes it is necessary to go offline and you will lose access to them.DeFogger: Please download DeFogger to your desktop.

Double click DeFogger to run the tool.
The application window will appear Click the Disable button to disable your CD Emulation drivers Click Yes to continue A 'Finished!' message will appear Click OKDeFogger may ask you to reboot the machine, if it does - click OKDo not re-enable these drivers until otherwise instructed.Download DDS:Please download DDS by sUBs from one of the links below and save it to your desktop:
Download DDS and save it to your desktop

Link1
Link2
Link3

Please disable any anti-malware program that will block scripts from running before running DDS.

Double-Click on dds.scr and a command window will appear. This is normal.Shortly after two logs will appear:
DDS.txt Attach.txtA window will open instructing you save & post the logsSave the logs to a convenient place such as your desktopCopy the contents of both logs & post in your next replyScan With RKUnHookerPlease Download Rootkit Unhooker Save it to your desktop.Now double-click on RKUnhookerLE.exe to run it.Click the Report tab, then click Scan.Check (Tick) Drivers, Stealth,. Uncheck the rest. then Click OK.Wait till the scanner has finished and then click File, Save Report.Save the report somewhere where you can find it. Click Close.Copy the entire contents of the report and paste it in a reply here.Note** you may get this warning it is ok, just ignore"Rootkit Unhooker has detected a parasite inside itself!It is recommended to remove parasite, okay?""just click on Cancel, then Accept".information and logs:In your next post I need the following

.logs from DDSlog from RKUnHookerlet me know of any problems you may have hadGringo

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/391600/windows-recovery-critical-error-damaged-hard-drive-clusters-detected/
Relevancy 61.92%

Hello Techies I have a netbook no cd dvd drive I have a desktop PC too The desktop PC is loaded with DVD Rom and DVD Burner Question is there ANY way i can turn my entire desktop PC as it were into just a DVD rom as seen through the USB port I want to connect a USB cable from the Netbook to one of the desktop s USB to drive internal MAP USB use?! to for port how external built-in ports and thus use the desktop s DVD drive as if it were an quot external drive quot any suggestions To seed some creativity there are what i think are quot near miss quot utilities out there which i haven t tried like USBASPI sys which attempts the reverse of what i want i e mapping an external USB drive to ASPI or also for example the quot subst quot command in how to MAP internal drive to USB port for external use?! DOS which maps folder space in HDD to a virtual drive I hope my question is clear if not i will rephrase if required nbsp