Windows Support Forum

WD Passport 80GB lost drive letter, partition, 0MB

Q: WD Passport 80GB lost drive letter, partition, 0MB

I switch on my computer typically as every morning. This time I lost my extended WD Passport 80 MB. No letter drive.

I check in Device Manager. Disk is recognize, but shows
Type - Unknown
Status - Unreadable
Partition Style - Not Applicable
Capacity - 0 MB
Unallocated Space - 0 MB
Reserved Space - 0 MB

Looks like a Master Boot Records gone. Addictionaly it shows me FAT 12 .

I have no idea what's happened.

When drive starts make it sounds like a "turn few times". I didn't hear it before. Is it mechanically corrupted, or just lost partitions ?

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: WD Passport 80GB lost drive letter, partition, 0MB

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 89.44%

My system will not boot. It gets as far as the Windows XP logo with the 'busy bar' going back and forth, hangs for a while, and then reiterates the entire reboot process. Starting in Safe Mode reveals a hang at MUP.DLL.

The Windows XP Setup program does not recognize the partition as being NTFS formated (my 160GB hdd has two partitions, the second one is ok).

I booted Partition Magic from a bootable CD and discovered that the primary partition has no drive letter allocated to it.

How can I restore drive letter C without erasing the entire operating system?

Many tanks to everyone has a solution

A:Drive letter designation (C:) on my primary partition has been lost

If you have the windows xp cd, boot from it and go into the recovery console. Go here ---> Recovery Console For more information. Once there in the recovery console type this command Fixboot "this Writes a new boot sector to a selected partition." then type Fixmbr this will Repair the Master Boot Record (MBR). Restart the computer.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/drive-letter-designation-c-on-my-primary-partition-has-been-lost.867730/
Relevancy 88.58%

After researching my issue and found this closed thread - quot Windows won t read drive in explorer quot I started my own little research to my problem First some basics I am running Windows Ultimate bit I have SATA Hard Drives one Recovery drive letter on my lost Healthy (Active, Partition) with OS SATA DVD and Blu-Ray Drives and IDE Hard Drive which lost my drive letter on Healthy (Active, Recovery Partition) is configured as a slave lost my drive letter on Healthy (Active, Recovery Partition) Second - I needed to do some hard drive trouble shooting for another computer that had a possibly dead IDE Hard Drive To do this I shut down my computer and attached the supposedly dead IDE Hard Drive in its place Now lost my drive letter on Healthy (Active, Recovery Partition) - all the trouble began After booting into the Bios I noticed the supposedly dead hard drive did not register even though it was spinning I kept booting into the OS to see if it would be recognized in any case - it was not I put my working IDE Hard Drive back in - after shutting down and removing the dead IDE Hard Drive I booted back into the BIOS and noticed my good IDE Hard Drive wasn t being recognized either I then went into advanced Bios settings and walla - it saw my hard drive but said I needed to reboot After rebooting I noticed the same thing with the Bios but this time proceeded to boot into the OS After signing on I noticed my Good Hard Drive was no longer recognized in Explorer I went into Administrator and Computer Management and then into Disk Management What I saw puzzled me as over the past years I never have seen this My good hard drive was showing up as Disk and showed the partitions The only option I was allowed was quot help quot or I could change to a Dynamic disc I immediately stopped as any further action and I knew I would destroy my data I booted and investigated several times to see if this bug would work itself out - it did not Now I began to worry because I did not back up my important files STUPID I KNOW for over a week I read everyone s posts in a frenzy as I am sure everyone has experienced this panic mode I realized I did not do anything dumb with my hardware and I could only think of all the updates Windows does every damn single night as I shut down my computer - ugh - how freakin annoying yes I know I can change that setting I then decided to try something I restored my system to a restore point of several days ago BAM My Hard Drive came back - woohoo I stepped away to have a quick lunch thinking I just saved my times over and said I would not do anything until I backed everything up Well - of course Windows being what it is while I was away for minutes or so my computer decided to do an auto update and reboot And as you might be thinking right now is that - yes - it did - lost my hard drive again Okay - so now I m not sure if my hard drive is going bad - it could be going intermittent on me - or if Windows is updating some driver causing this to happen So I did another restore from the same point as I first did - OMG - it did not work Frenzy time again I then got down on my knees and prayed quot Dear Lord - if I go back one more restore point and this works - do not leave the computer and back up the files immediately quot YES It came back Without flinching I immediately went into Explorer and copied the entire hard drive to another SATA working hard drive While copying I went back into Administrator and Computer Management and then into Disk Management and noticed that it was still not recognizing my hard drive with a letter even though it is seeing it in Explorer - wow - As I type this I am not doing another dag nabbed thing until I finish getting all my data off In final It could be a problem with my motherboard - it could be my hard drive dying - it could be Windows Bottom line - BACK Up BACK Up BACK UP Oh - and don t do a diagnostic for another computer s problems even if it s my work computer - that I tried fixing at hom... Read more

A:lost my drive letter on Healthy (Active, Recovery Partition)

Go into control panel and change windows update settings
to something other than automatic,like download and notify.
That way you have a choice what to install.
Then run windows update manually.
Check the list of updates for a drive controller driver.
It sounds like it is installing one that isn't working for you.
It would probably be under optional updates.
You should be able to select hide update an click ok
so it won't try to install it anymore.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lost-my-drive-letter-on-healthy-active-recovery-partition.1073292/
Relevancy 88.58%

I am using Vista Home Premium I have GB HD which is partitioned into parts One is C Second one was D I had dual assign Unable partition lost. letter NTFS drive to boot enabled with OpenSuSE running in it which I removed yesterday All was fine and I was able to boot just with Windows without Grub boot loader In Disk management application I could see the partition - where SuSE was there earlier as Free Space C drive is GB D drive is GB Both are NTFS and Free space is GB So far so good Then instead of trying to create a new Drive partition in the GB Free space I tried to extend the existing D Drive using PartitionMagic and somewhere in the process I lost my D Drive I NTFS partition drive letter lost. Unable to assign can no longer see D Drive in my Explorer Currently I can still see old D drive as a partition in blue color in Disk management software indicating that it is a Primary partition But I am not able to assign any Drive letter to it Diska Management app does not show me the properties for this partition I get this error quot Operation failed to complete because the Disk management console view is not up-to-date Refresh the view by using refresh task If the problem persists close the Disk Manage ent console and then restart Disk Management or restart computer quot Restarting did not help Third party tools like Active UnEraser etc are able to detect this partition as NTFS and also able to find all the files in this So I am assuming by data is in there still Something gone bad with Partition Table or Volume Table or some such I don't clearly understand the disctinction between Volumes and Partitions esp when everything is in the same Physical Disk Help me -Sekhar

A:NTFS partition drive letter lost. Unable to assign

Hi Sekhar, It sounds as if it doesn't matter about the files on D:\ now if I understand you correctly- that was where you had Suse installed. It also seems you can still boot and run Vista.

So it seems that you just need to clean up the partition table.

You can try this free tool (recommended) - which supports partition table recovery-
Magic Server Partition Manager Software - Resize partition for Windows Server 2003, 2008 and 2000.
- bootable CD here
Partition Wizard Bootable CD allows user to boot computer directly to manage partition.
or Easeus partition master (home)
Best FREE Partition Manager Freeware for Windows 2000/XP/Vista/Windows 7. EASEUS free Partition Manager Software Home Edition.
- no bootable disk with free edition

In the past I've found [email protected] Partition Recovery useful in difficult circumstances.

Good luck. dal987

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/282309-ntfs-partition-drive-letter-lost-unable-assign.html
Relevancy 80.84%

Hi,

I have a question.

I formatted a partition of my harddrive but in the end not only a partition was formatted but the next partition also was gone.

Meaning: the data is still there, but the NTFS partition isn't recognised anymore by Windows, and in diskmanager the space is now ready to assign new partition.

In a data recovery software, I saw the not recognised partition was still recognised as 'NTFS'.

What can I do?

The best scenario would be to simply tell Windows somehow, there is partition with NTFS and it should assign a letter to it.

A:Windows lost partition letter and don't recognize format partition

Can you post a screen shot of Disk management?
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...en-forums.html

Screenshot tools.
A Preferred Method of Uploading/Posting Screen Shots
How to Use the Snipping Tool in Vista - Vista Forums
Snipping Tool - Windows 7 features - Microsoft Windows
Use Snipping Tool to capture screen shots
Screenshot with Paint
Screenshot and Upload using MWSnap
fscapture free download

Use Snipping Tool to capture screen shots

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/199533-windows-lost-partition-letter-dont-recognize-format-partition.html
Relevancy 79.55%

I want to rename drive E (10gigs) to lets say drive S...is it as simple as right clicking and renaming the drive in most cases right?. This is a one owner non networked home pc. (windows xp)

thks

T

A:Solved: renaming extended partition drive letter to another letter...plz help

Right click on My Computer . . select Manage . . then Disk Management . .

In Disk Management, right click on the Drive an select change letter assignment . .

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-renaming-extended-partition-drive-letter-to-another-letter-plz-help.349348/
Relevancy 79.12%

So I just finished building my new setup and one of the only issues I have left to work out concerns one of my portable HDD's. I have a WD Passport that I keep music and Firefox profiles on to cart back and forth to the office. I cannot get Vista to recognize it on my home computer. After plugging it in Vista installs the drivers but then starts looking for preconfigured driver folders and never shows up under my computer. I have a Buffalo 500GB external as my backup that works fine in the same port. I have never had a prob with the WD and have used it on multiple computers (XP Pro, XP MCE, and Vista Prem.). Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance.

A:USB wont recognized WD Passport 80gb

Originally Posted by tranger05

So I just finished building my new setup and one of the only issues I have left to work out concerns one of my portable HDD's. I have a WD Passport that I keep music and Firefox profiles on to cart back and forth to the office. I cannot get Vista to recognize it on my home computer. After plugging it in Vista installs the drivers but then starts looking for preconfigured driver folders and never shows up under my computer. I have a Buffalo 500GB external as my backup that works fine in the same port. I have never had a prob with the WD and have used it on multiple computers (XP Pro, XP MCE, and Vista Prem.). Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance.

You could try letting Vista update the device's driver from device manager. And, you could try installing any missing Vista reliability updates. Those related to USB might solve your problem.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/136095-usb-wont-recognized-wd-passport-80gb.html
Relevancy 77.4%

When instaled Partition magic 8 on windows 7 when i started it program something Fixed

And later disperd my data partition like showed in picture above.

Can someone help me? maybe can some one give me link that program will fix this?

A:Lost partition letter and can't add it

You could try using DiskPart.

Click Start and type in "diskpart" if you have Windows Search enabled.

Right click the program and select Run as Administrator.

After this has loaded type in "listvolume" and hit Enter.

When you see the Partition you want to format, look at the number it has assigned for that partition.

Type "select volume 5", replace "5" with whatever number it gave you.

Finally, type select "assign letter J", replacing J with whatever letter you chose.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...d-beda4bab2671

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/203218-lost-partition-letter-cant-add.html
Relevancy 70.09%

Have just installed a new 8.7 Maxtor in a P100. This drive is set as master and partitioned into 5 which assigns drive letters c,d,e,f,g . If I re-install the old 500mb drive unit as a slave ( Quantum Maverick) it assigns itself as drive letter D. I want this drive to show up as drive H . If I go to Device manager, hard drives, double click on generic ide type 47, settings, for this drive the drive letter assignment is there, but I cannot change it. Any ideas please.

A:{SOLVED} Slave drive letter inserts itself within master partition drive letters

I don't think you can change it. Normally the bios will take the primary of the 1st ide drive as c, the primary of the second ide as d, the next partition of the primary ide drive as e, etc.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-slave-drive-letter-inserts-itself-within-master-partition-drive-letters.32527/
Relevancy 70.09%

Hello My sister did something to her computer and reinstalled Windows XP The thing is that it is installed on a partition labeled quot e quot with only gigs I noticed this because I tried installing more software and it said that there wasn t enough space on the hard drive I searched online and found that I could see both partitions using the disk management utility When I use this utility I can see the partition labeled quot e drive a without letter Partition quot and the other larger partition gigs and it doesn t have a drive letter I have tried adding a letter to it by Partition without a drive letter right-clicking and all that it shows in the menu is quot delete quot and quot help quot Both partitions are labeled as quot healthy quot How do I get back to that partition Are all the programs drivers files etc still on that partition How can I get the computer to start up on that partition Windows XP is now installed on the smaller partition - should it be removed eventually Thanks Jeff nbsp

A:Partition without a drive letter

The little partition was most likely the "System Recovery" partition that came with the already installed software setup when she bought the PC.

Somehow she has clobbered (a techie term ) the main partition that contained her data and Windows installation.

If she has a set of System Restore Disks (CD's), then she may be able to use them to restore the HD to its original state...like the day she bought the PC.

If not, and it were my PC, I would use FDISK to remove everything from the HD, and then recreate a single partition of maximum size on the drive. Next Format it, and then reinstall Windows...going on from there.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/partition-without-a-drive-letter.563248/
Relevancy 70.09%

Hi I have an anternal media drive whith a number of hidden partitions which do not show up in Magic Drive Format Drive Letter Partition - A Assigning WITHOUT windows One of these partitions had become corrupted and unuseable and I would like to try re formatting it to fix the error In Partition Magic there are a number of drives listed Some of the drives on the partition have assigned drive letters but the one I want to format has is greyed out and listed with a infront of it Partition Magic will let me enter the drive to Partition Magic - Format Drive WITHOUT Assigning A Drive Letter view details and even gives me the option to format it BUT then wants to assign the drive the letter A If I do this then the media drive will be unable to work as it will have lost the file path it needs to record on to I just wnat to re format this drive with whatever freeware and have the drive letter wich is currently unassigned untouched so that the media player never knows its been formatted File system is FAT partition size is gb using Partition Magic there are partitions with assigned drive letters and without on the gb HDD Any help or suggestions appreciated thanks

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/partition-magic-format-drive-without-assigning-a-drive-letter-469373.html
Relevancy 69.66%

as of turning on my laptop today the drive letter previously H has gone It is an iomega TB external hard drive i have Sony Vaio Lap Lost letter (H:) drive top I also have an Acer both work but neither will recognise the drive That Lost drive letter (H:) is to say they will not show H i have nothing else connected to the pc at the moment bcz i have disconnecter everything to get back to basic setup Both pcs know the drive is there when i connect it divice manager tell me i have it there Speccy tells me it is there it even tells me the capacity and that it is actually a samsung HD si usb divice but i cannot open the drive bcs the drive letter is gone there is nothing to click on C is there and any number of flash drives i care to plug in are recognised and assigned a drive letter imediatly but not the external hard drive I formatted it bcz it was getting too full of junk so i moved the stuff i wanted to the sony formatted the iomega normal NTFC format restore defaults etc but it seem like the pc got carried away amp removed even the drive letter what can i do to reclaim it

A:Lost drive letter (H:)

Go to drive management and.........
Try initializing the drive or adding the drive letter.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/226434-lost-drive-letter-h.html
Relevancy 69.66%

Windows 2000. The drive letter (F on my 60 gig drive disapeared. The drive is blind to the system and all is unaccesable. Setup and Partition magic shows the drive to be there and operating. Can the drive be rescued?

A:Lost drive letter

If you do not have TweakUI go HERE and get it. Once you install it you will find a number of useful features. Among these are the ability to hide individual drives (under the "My Computer" tab). This option may have been set by some other method. See if TweakUI will let you un-set it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lost-drive-letter.109645/
Relevancy 69.23%

I have Windows 7 RC on my Computer. It is on Drive C:

I got this Vista Recovry disk that came with the laptop, and I was going to use it to dual boot Vist with the Windows 7. The Recovery disk will ONLY install onto drive C, there is NO OTHER intallation options.

The Question: If I change the Drive letter of my Windows 7 Drive to Drive D: and then change the Empty partition to C: will my Windows 7 still be bootable? Even if I chagne the boot loader option of Windows 7 to drive D: ?

A:Change Drive letter: Partition containing OS

I have never been able to change an OS to another letter without bricking the OS. The only tutorials for doing so make it clear it is only if the OS letter has slipped.

What I would do is save externally a backup image of Win7 using an imaging software that will allow you to select where to reimage, such as Paragon Backup & Recovery Free Edition - Free Download or Macrium Reflect.

Then go ahead and do the Vista factory restore, shrink Vista partition in Disk Management, reimage Win7 to the shrunken space. Now boot the Win7 DVD Repair console to run Startup Repair up to 3 separate times to rewrite the MBR to Win7 and possibly configure the dual boot. If not, use EasyBCD 2.0 beta in Win7 to add VIsta.

Others may have an easier idea. You'll have the backup image as a path back, so it's worth a try since Win7's drive letter is in most cases relative anyway.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/60802-change-drive-letter-partition-containing-os.html
Relevancy 69.23%

Hello....great forum!
my C: is a SSD Id like to have back as one disc, one partition..

The 101 mb 'unallocated' It was previously listed as " reserved system protected drive" I removed and formatted its 101 mb...back to empty, unallocated, can I lose that partition??

It shows up under disc management as a part of c...but really has no drive letter at all it just shows as C:

Many thx for ideas rick

A:SSD partition on c: sys drive. has no letter 'unallocated'

Are you currently using that C as your OS partition, if so, you need that other partition as is..

101mb is roughly the equivalent of 60 photos, your temp internet files can be 10x that amount. and its not not taking up a drive letter.

Do you really want/need that space?

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/25193-ssd-partition-c-sys-drive-has-no-letter-unallocated.html
Relevancy 69.23%

Hi!

Problem:

I have 2 HD

1. WD Raptor 36 GB (2 partition 8GB-System, 27GB-Other)
2. WD Caviar 200 GB

With Partition Magic i have changed drive letter on 2nd HD:
F-E
G-F
and so on

I did`t touch the primary partition. The problem is when I start My Computer in Task Manager "explorer" has taken around 98% of CPU USAGE,it is the same when I creating a shortcut to one of the partition and try to open it.

I have to END PROCESS "explorer" in TASK MANAGER and run it again,and everything work fine until I run previous command.

PLEASE HELP!

Srđan

Relevancy 69.23%

I want to assign a particular drive letter (R) to a partition on a drive for compatibility with another computer system. However when I attempt to change the drive letter using Windows Disk Management, "R" is not shown as a choice. There is no other disk shown in the listing of Volumes with the drive letter "R", and every other unassigned letter is available, so why isn't "R" shown? If indeed R is assigned to something, how can I find out what it is?

A:Can't assign a particular drive letter to a partition

Hello coffent,

You should be able to use OPTION TWO to see if "R" has already been assigned. If so, then you could use step 4 in OPTION TWO to swap the "R" drive letter with the letter the partition is currently using.

Drive Letter - Add, Change, or Remove in Windows

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/388427-cant-assign-particular-drive-letter-partition.html
Relevancy 69.23%

I don't understand how, but when I installed XP MCE, it was with all other drives disconnected. However, when I went to Disk Management, it's partition is labeled G:, while W7 is labeled L: when running MCE. I want to change G: to the usual C:. but Disk Management won't permit that, and when I tried something similar with Acronis Disk Director some time back, the OS would no longer boot, so I'm not anxious for a repeat performance.

The question is, how to relabel the partition safely?

A:Changing OS Partition Drive Letter

I wouldn't and don't think you can change it, not without re-installing. As you have seen Windows won't let you change the drive letter of the partition windows is installed too. The main reason is that doing that would break a lot of programs etc. They would be looking for the old drive letter not the new one. Do you have a flash card reader installed? If yes that would be my guess as to why the drive letter got to be so high. I've seen that happen in XP if the hard drive wasn't formatted. It doesn't get a drive letter until after its formated. The other formatted drives would get C:, D:, etc. I didn't think windows 7 did that anymore but I could be wrong. Like a lot of people, I've only been using it for a short while. Now that the drive is formated it should get the first drive letter C: so a re-install should fix it. It just depends on how much that bothers you as to whether you want to do it over again.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/71089-changing-os-partition-drive-letter.html
Relevancy 69.23%

Hey TSF, i'm a student, and I recently bought a 500gb External Hard Drive for use with school. I also bought a PS3 and would like to add my music and movies to that. I researched about the PS3, and learnt I needed to convert the hard drive type (not sure how to describe it) to FAT32. I decided to create a partition, so the whole thing wouldnt be converted to FAT32. But after something I did (I've used Swissknife, but it didnt work, maybe thats something to do with it), one of my partitions that was previsously unallocated space turned into a primary partition. However, it wasnt labelled as healthy or as a primary partition (im just presuming it is because of the blue on the Disk Management window), and also with no drive label.

Help?

A:[SOLVED] Partition has no drive letter.

Sorry, here is a screenshot.

Im not bothered if I have to format it, as I dont have any data to lose on the HDD :)

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-partition-has-no-drive-letter-604073.html
Relevancy 69.23%

I have a triple boot desktop computer with XP, Vista, and windows 7, and some storage partitions as fat 32 and ntfs types. Each operating system shows the partitions with different drive letters. From booted in the XP it is drive G, Vista is C, 7 is D, and with the 2 optical DVD/CD drives, and the 3 storage partitions, I can change those drive letters some to allow drive E to then become available for the XP system. So is there any way to change my XP from drive G to E, such as booting to the XP recovery console and using the diskpart or map commands, or some registry edit to do this change, thanks.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-can-i-change-the-xp-partition-drive-letter-from-g-to-e.955466/
Relevancy 68.8%

Hi Everything was fine with my system until I was playing a game and the computer froze I thought no big deal since this sometimes happens I tried Lost drive letter plus CD-burner to alt delete tab but got nothing so I ended up turning the power off When it was rebooting I got a message that said Drive not Lost CD-burner plus drive letter found Parallel ATA PATA- CR IDE Slave Strike the F key to continue F to run the set-up utlity I went ahead and used F and I had lost my F Drive for my external hard drive I ended up unpluging its USB and reinstalling than that worked right and it recongnized it as the right F drive Now unfortunately I ve lost my E drive which was my CD-burner I dont know if I lost both F and E at same time I dont even see it in the Device Manager or quot my computer quot I opened up case just to make sure CD-burner came undone somehow Naturally the connections were fine My hard drive C and DVD player D show up and work I suspect somehow my Ext HD stole the E letter somehow I m using windows XP GHz GB Memory I m fairly basic when it comes to computers so let me know if you need any info Thanks in advance for any help nbsp

Relevancy 68.37%

Boot partition drive letter changed, how do I fix it?

some how my boot drive letter changed on my windows 8 machine.

I am trying to change it back to c drive by using diskpart in the windows 8 boot cd

I change it with disk management and with diskpart but when I restart it changes the drive letter back to F , it wont stay at C

A:Boot partition drive letter changed, how do I fix it?

Post a snapshot of a fullscreen Disk Management Window:

To open Disk Management, press Windows key+r, type diskmgmt.msc and press Enter or click GO. Make it full screen. Expand the fields as necessary so everything can be seen.

How to Use the Snipping Tool in Vista - Vista Forums (says it's for Vista but also works with Win 7/8).

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/65497-boot-partition-drive-letter-changed-how-do-i-fix.html
Relevancy 68.37%

Ok, so I have my system and I have 2 operating systems on it. 1 is C:\ and the other is I:\ .Today i turned on my computer and a windows boot manager error thing came up so i put in windows 7 disk and it repaired the system. i go into I:\ (which is windows 7) and came up with disk check. Then it continued normally until it said 'Preparing your desktop'. Then it came with blank blue-ish screen and in the bottom right conner said "This copy of windows is not genuine" which it is. Signed me in to a temp account couldn't access any files. Turns out it was trying to access D:\ instead of I:\ no programs worked. I went onto the other operating system checked it and it said it was I:\ so somehow Windows changed it to thinking it was D:\ not I:\
Any help is appreciated.

A:Windows 7 changed partition drive letter

you will have to edit the registry offline (this happened to me not to long ago...)

Also what is the "other OS"? If it is Windows then follow the bellow:

here take a look at this thread http://www.techsupportforum.com/f217...ml#post2666549

If you have any questions, just ask

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-7-changed-partition-drive-letter-492654.html
Relevancy 68.37%

I am hoping someone here will know what letter Change of partition drive boot I should do I installed an old partition I imaged ready to put on a new hard-drive I need to make it so Change drive letter of boot partition the system does not see it as drive letter quot C quot as that is not what it was originally particularly when the programs on it were installed I boots up fine most of the way but then when it gets to quot Preparing your Desktop quot it hangs for a long while and when it comes out of that it dispays Change drive letter of boot partition quot This version of Windows is not genuine quot I should sat at this point My copy of Windows is genuine Is there a way I can change the drive letter of this partition back to the value the installations on it expect as at the moment it thinks it is quot C quot which I believe is what is causing the problem The old partition I am installing did not have the drive letter quot C quot it had quot O quot I know this was a bad mistake to make but it is too late to change now This is the partition I used that has the most programs installed which are useful for my uni coursework I can start afresh but would rather not spend all that time at the pc basically waiting for each installation process to run nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/change-drive-letter-of-boot-partition.1091677/
Relevancy 68.37%

Hi

is really the best way to remove the drive letter to hide a parition ?
for example in a second hard disk i have another operation system (microsoft)

is the best way?
are you sure w7 will not see it?

because i run mydefrag ,an amazing defrag and it see the volume i did hide

thanks

A:is the best way remove the drive letter to hide a partition ?

Are you trying to hide your partition from windows explorer? Or from partitioning software?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/296387-best-way-remove-drive-letter-hide-partition.html
Relevancy 68.37%

i just reinstalled my WHOLE computer ...

i had a 80GB hard drive...and now decided to partition it... 40GB each .... question is now....

i got the main partition with the Windows installation in it as the C drive...and the 2nd partition as the I:\ drive ....

how do i change it to the D drive? there is only one hard drive installed....

A:hard drive partition letter associations?

oh yea, i did have another hard drive installed, transferred my backup files, and took it out ...

and, any way i can change the letters of the CDROM drives?

ive tried TweakUI (or Powertoys for winXP)

and this is now WinXP Pro SP1 (soon to be SP2 before I do anything else...might as well get it installed on a fresh install so i dont run into problems ....)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-partition-letter-associations.281255/
Relevancy 68.37%

Preamble Cannot up access no letter drive because backed partition I keep my system in one partition and documents in a second on drive Recently i attempted to set up xp in even another paritition That's a whole other story I ran into trouble gave up ended with a fouled up boot manager and decided to reinstall windows from the install cd Before reinstalling windows I made a partition on a second exterior hard drive and backed up my documents partition in it Problem With Windows reinstalled and with the exterior hd connected the partition with the documents does not show up in My Computer It does however show up in Disk Management But it has no drive letter And if you open Cannot access backed up partition because no drive letter the right click menu on that partition everything is greyed out except quot delete partition quot and quot help quot Maybe I neglected to assign a drive letter on the back up partition But wouldn't the Cannot access backed up partition because no drive letter system do that automatically Maybe the drive letter assigned by the system conflicts with a drive letter on the inside hd How do I rescue my backed up documents

A:Cannot access backed up partition because no drive letter

Change, add, or remove a drive letter - Windows Help

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/cannot-access-backed-up-partition-because-no-drive-letter-1107465.html
Relevancy 68.37%

Well I have this problem My XP OS wasn t starting so I had to reinstall it in order to fix it Well that is where the problem start Partition Letter Drive Solved: XP Problems I had Dualboot with Vista and XP Now I fixed the boot so now I can choose wich one start but when I start XP the XP Partition Letter doesn t change to C Its stays in E and before the reinstall Solved: XP Partition Drive Letter Problems it used to change to C I tried to do again the boot stuff with Easy BCD Solved: XP Partition Drive Letter Problems and I did I deleted the XP entry and did it all over again but when I booted on XP the letter wasnt changing Now I cant install anything because XP doesn t seem to know thats its installed on E so its try to search stuff on C where now is Vista Partition I hope you guys can help me If not I would have Solved: XP Partition Drive Letter Problems to format XP partition I have no problems with it but I just want to make it like the last choice Thx nbsp

Relevancy 68.37%

Using MiniTool PartWiz, I unhid the RECOVERY (F: ) partition. Is it safe to change the drive letter to (E: )? Will it still work?

A:Change drive letter of RECOVERY partition?

Yes. As long as you don't change the starting sector of the recov partition. A letter is just an alias. It won't damage anything.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/318902-change-drive-letter-recovery-partition.html
Relevancy 68.37%

I have a multiboot system with Win XP thru Win over separate non-raid SDD's I mostly live in Win But Win is looking really good now On the drive with Win I have that Reserved System partition Somehow over time it received a drive letter D Will it cause any trouble if I remove just the drive letter from this partition I do NOT want to delete it Just want to free up some space in Windows Explorer I can't use that little partition for anything so why see it everyday partition Reserved 7 for can Drive be removed? Win Letter I'm not sure on which partition my MBR bootloader in located If it is in this little partition and I remove the letter will I have problems booting on the next re-boot I use EasyBCD as my bootloader program I have a copy loaded in each Drive Letter for Reserved Win 7 partition can be removed? OS Thoughts Suggestions Next somewhat related question In each Win install the drive letters get mixed up for example I have a large Data HDD with no OS on it In Win it has drive letter M in Vista it is L in Win it is S While working in each OS can I change the DATA HDD drive letter and not have a problem in another OS Thanks everyone

A:Drive Letter for Reserved Win 7 partition can be removed?

It should not a have letter, remove it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/371467-drive-letter-reserved-win-7-partition-can-removed.html
Relevancy 68.37%

I want to do file check but its telling me to give each partition a drive letter

When I either right click partition or click partition at top "change letter" is not higlighted.

If I use Label it says it will wipe out anything on that partition which I obviously dont want

can anyone help please?

A:How do I assign drive letter in Partition Wizard

Hello, you can go to computer management and do it from there.

Click start, type computer management form there click disk management then right click drive you want to change and choose your options.

Hope this helps.

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/60446-how-do-i-assign-drive-letter-partition-wizard.html
Relevancy 68.37%

Hi,

Run into an issue with a hard drive showing 3 partitions, but I can't assign a drive letter to it.

Background: It was running Win 7 Pro 64-bit, but was having occasional issues with blue screening. I've pulled the hard drive from that PC and have it hooked to my own (also Win 7 Pro 64) via USB external HD enclosure to run scan disks. The first two partitions I'm accessing fine, but the third one won't give me any options, no matter what I try. Any insight would be great.

EDIT: And sorry, right under where the submenu appears that says "Help", it says "Healthy (Recovery Partition)".

A:Unable to assign drive letter to HD partition?

Hi FuryoftheStars,

First let me tell you how to make a full screen Windows Disk Management screenshot.

Before you take the screenshot, go to the top menu bar and click on the "Show/Hide Console Tree" and "Show/Hide Action Pane" to hide those. Then we can clearly see all the columns in the top listing of the drives. Sometimes that information is necessary.

A sample screenshot with no information obscured/truncated:

Now a straight answer to your query:

The OEM Recovery partition in this case (and in most other cases too) is deliberately of a different Partition Type so that users cannot access it with Windows, meddle with it and spoil the broth. You may change the partition type to the normal type accessible to Windows and then assign a drive letter.( If you want to do it, do it at your own risk .)

If information on it is already available, I do not want to rewrite it . Please see Techno Wizard's last post dated 21 Oct 2013 here Assigning a letter to OEM Partition ( Take only what he says about recovery partition. The hibernation partition is not applicable here.)

(Now on my part ) You can also change the partition type using MiniTools Partition Wizard.( Changing it with diskpart by normal users is a little bit tedious and requires care)

EDIT: You can ascertain the current partition type from the "Properties" page in the first right click menu ( the last in that menu)

Having said all this, whatever problem you had with that system, you should have sorted it out in it only without taking out the HDD and putting it in an external enclosure.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/341655-unable-assign-drive-letter-hd-partition.html
Relevancy 68.37%

Ok i know this sounds letter add partitions partition, primary Can't have to drive 7 stupid hey it's windows but how do I end up with primary partitions I thought you could only have Anyway one of my partitions no longer has a drive letter so I can't access anything on it I'm Can't add drive letter to partition, have 7 primary partitions unable to right click it in Can't add drive letter to partition, have 7 primary partitions disk Management to add one the option is grayed out see pic st partition MB win boot nd partition the windows OS on it's own G partition rd partition G FreeBSD Unix this is a multi-boot system th partition G data partition the one that lost it's drive letter D th th and th partitions are Linux partitions and the last one looks like an extended partition by the green outline I've used this system successfully since last year when win came out It's worked pretty good but all of a sudden it lost the drive letter for the G data partition I have no idea what happened or how to get it back Any ideas

A:Can't add drive letter to partition, have 7 primary partitions

Shot in the dark:

As you said, you can only have 4 Primary Partitions. I suspect that Windows knows this and is therefore saying "Well that can't be right" and assuming its made a mistake and won't let you assign drive letters.

If you get it down to 4 partitions again, it will probably let you assign letters.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/98011-cant-add-drive-letter-partition-have-7-primary-partitions.html
Relevancy 67.94%

I Lost Defrag Letter Primary Drive After am running a PC with a Windows upgrade on top of Windows Have had the system for three years without major incident The Primary partition C NTFS meg is used for the OS and programs and D FAT meg for data I also have an external HD for Back Ups and a Dell Inspirion laptop running XP Lost Primary Drive Letter After Defrag I recently defragged my PC hard drive When I rebooted I received the BSOD Stop x B screen and INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE message I rebooted using a Windows boot diskette and was surprised to find that the Drive C it saw was my former Drive D my former Primary Drive had seemingly disappeared Later I learned that DOS cannot see an NTFS partition fdisk SYSTEM command provided the following report Disk Drv Mbytes Free Usage C The Drv C that is reported is actually my original Drive D which is the second partition on the Disk I then rebooted using a W K SP Boot CD It identified my Primary Drive C and the Windows installation and left me with a cursor at C WINNT A simple CHKDSK reported CHKDSK found one or more errors on the volume kilobytes total disk space kilobytes are available bytes in each allocation unit total allocation units on disk allocation units available on disk After a CHKDSK r the report was CHKDSK found no errors on the volume kilobytes total disk space kilobytes available bytes in each allocation unit total allocation units on disk allocation units available on disk Obviously CHKDSK had repaired some files Unfortunately when I rebooted from the hard drive I again received the same BSOD but with additional parameters namely Stop x B xEB B C xC E x x screen and INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE message I am not in any great panic since my last data backup on the External HD is only about six weeks old and interestingly enough I can access it from my PC Therefore I can DOS Copy any updated important files to the External HD and carry on life with my laptop and External HD HOWEVER I would like to get my PC back in operation and would appreciate any suggestions as to my next step to recovery nbsp

Relevancy 67.51%

Hello having to to original Recovery Assign another partition? than letter drive (D:) configure a new HP laptop with pre-installed Win I need Assign another drive letter than original (D:) to Recovery partition? to create some extra logical drives to organize things better Assign another drive letter than original (D:) to Recovery partition? Unfortunately the usual OEM scenario applies all four possible primary partitions are already happily taken by the manufacturer SYSTEM no drive letter C Recovery D HP TOOLS no drive letter Why can't they just make one partition Extended to begin with However this thread and similar ones here contain excellent info so I know already what can be done I don't want to Assign another drive letter than original (D:) to Recovery partition? touch SYSTEM and don't want to remove Recovery or HP TOOLS so the only option for me seems to be to turn C into an extended partition then shrink then add logical volumes as required Sounds feasible enough The one remaining question I have is rather simple Is it possible to then assign another drive letter than the original D to the Recovery partition The point being that I'd like the user not me to be able to use drive letters C D and E with Recovery being e g R so that she is not confused by and always has to think about having to quot skip quot D On this forum I found some statements saying no it shouldn't be done because then the F boot into recovery won't work any more while others say yes it can be done with no ill effects Any quot authoritative quot answer to this Would it even be possible to remove any drive letter from Recovery so as to make it quot invisible quot Thanks for any tips Tronje Sincere thanks to quot Brink quot the quot Bare Foot Kid quot and all the other experts for their hard work sharing their knowledge It's very valuable for us Win beginners and much appreciated Except perhaps for the sligthly ominous mentioning of quot Boot quot for C in the quot Status quot column of the Win disk manager besides quot Page File quot and quot Crash Dump quot C is not marked quot System quot or quot Active quot only SYSTEM is but why then the quot Boot quot designation Does this kill after all the idea of turning C into an extended partition This has been asked before on the forum but apparently there was no reply

A:Assign another drive letter than original (D:) to Recovery partition?

Hello Tronje, and welcome to Seven Forums.

The Recovery Manager in Windows 7 and at boot/startup (F11) uses this Recovery (D) partition to start the factory recovery process. (in Windows 7) HP Omni 220-1100 Desktop PC series*-* HP PCs - Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 7) - c01867418 - HP Business Support Center
(at boot/startup) HP Omni 220-1100 Desktop PC series*-* HP PCs - Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 7) - c01867418 - HP Business Support Center
Removing the drive letter from the Recovery (D) partition would cause you to no longer be able to open the Recovery Manager in Windows 7. I'm not sure if at boot/startup (F11) would still work or not. You would have to test afterwards to see. If not, then you would need to add the drive letter back.

Changing the drive letter of the Recovery (D) partition could cause you to no longer be able to open the Recovery Manager in Windows 7. I'm not sure if at boot/startup (F11) would still work or not. You would have to test afterwards with both methods to see. If not, then you would need to change the drive letter back to (D).

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ndows-7-a.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/259736-assign-another-drive-letter-than-original-d-recovery-partition.html
Relevancy 67.51%

Hello all,

I've been trying to find a way to hide my swap partition, but all available information on doing so either leads to group policy editing (which only has various combinations of the drive letters A, B, C, D, E for hiding), drive letter removal (which is an untenable solution given that the swap partition is only usable with a drive letter to tie it to), or registry editing (which is as untenable as the other two).

I have attempted all three with no perceivable solution.

Thanks

For reference: My swap partition's drive letter is S:

A:How do I hide a disk/partition which has a custom drive letter?

From your specs. What does that mean?

Quote:
Computer type PC/Desktop

Quote:
Windows 7 Home 64 bit (Laptop)

This tutorial by Golden would be helpful.

Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/340961-how-do-i-hide-disk-partition-has-custom-drive-letter.html
Relevancy 67.51%

A mate of mine bought an old dell at a car boot sale for €20 it had 20 gig pata running xp so i had an 80 gig ide which i said he could have
Anyhow i connected 80 gig up as slave on primary controller and installed xp pro on it for him
After installation i removed the 20 gig and put 80 gig on master on primary,i dont know why i didnt do this at start,but damage was done
I am getting quick message saying invalid bootini but then machine continues to boot with no problems after that
The issue i now have is the system partition is assigned drive letter D instead of C
How can i change os partition to C

Thanks

A:[SOLVED] Change drive letter on system partition

Remove all drives except the System Drive (previous D:) which is on the Primary Master controller with the jumper pins set to Master, and restart the computer. The System drive will now be C: Now shut down the computer and add the 20 Gb drive on either the Secondary Master controller with the jumper pin set to Master or with the jumper set to Slave as a Slave Drive on the primary chain, on restart it should be the D: drive.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-change-drive-letter-on-system-partition-632580.html
Relevancy 67.51%

Before : My harddisk has 2 partition. It is C : SYSTEM, and D : RECOVERY . Then I make new partition, shrink volume from C was named E : NEW .

After I was reinstalled windows by clean install, the letter drive and partition changed to C : SYSTEM , D : NEW, and E : RECOVERY there was before drive D changedto E..

Please help me...it's normal? Thanks for the explanation....

A:drive letter partition was changed after clean install

That is not a problem at all. Unless you have a big problem with those letters, I would leave it as is. But you can change the drive letters in Disk Management (not C though).

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/67467-drive-letter-partition-changed-after-clean-install.html
Relevancy 67.51%

Hello My first post here Partition Windows Drive Change to Need System Letter so I hope I am in the correct place Here is my problem I installed Windows Pro bit on a new Seagate TB drive During the Windows install I created a GB partition where the Windows files would be installed I also left an unallocated partition that I would later use as a data drive for storing music videos docs Need to Change Windows System Partition Drive Letter etc As normal the Windows installer stated it would need to create a system partition where the boot files and other mysterious files would be stored Indeed after installation it had created a mb system partition which I believe is normal In Windows I used the Disk Management utility Need to Change Windows System Partition Drive Letter to make the Unallocated partition useable As a result I had the following partitions System partition no drive letter assigned C Boot and Page File partition where Windows is installed D Data partition where music videos docs etc will Need to Change Windows System Partition Drive Letter be stored So far all is well However What I needed to do was follow the simple procedure in the following link to move my C Users folder to D Users Move All User Folders to Another Hard Drive Windows gt How - To MaxMakeDesign co uk After following the instructions to get to the dos command prompt via the Windows install repair DVD I was bemused to find that the system partition that had no drive letter in Windows was drive C my boot partition where Windows is installed drive C in Windows was drive D and my data drive drive D in Windows was drive E As such performing the C Users to D Users process is impossible In fact I tried it by substituting C for D and D for E but when I went to boot into Windows it claimed that no user could be found which is understandable So how do I make the system partition in the dos command prompt i e outside of Windows be another drive letter i e NOT C or make it hidden so my boot partition where Windows is installed is C and my data partition is D like they are in Windows In this thread I am using Microsoft's way of naming the partitions - System partition where the boot files are stored Boot partition is where Windows is installed Stupid how Microsoft managed to make things confusing by labelling these partitions in a non-logical opposite way I hope someone can help BTW I don't mind if I have to do a complete reinstall of Windows Cheers Mark

A:Need to Change Windows System Partition Drive Letter

Maybe this would be easier.

User Profile - Change Default Location

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/278291-need-change-windows-system-partition-drive-letter.html
Relevancy 67.51%

Hi Guys,
My sister has just brought a Dell laptop, (not sure which model), which came pre-installed with windows vista.
The hard drive has been partitioned into drives "C" & "D" - drive "D" contains the system recovery data and is called "recovery disk".

I need to change the drive letter of "D" to something else as they have some software that only runs from CD and will only run if the cd is named drive "D", so I would like to rename the "D" drive to "L" and then rename the cd drive to "D".

I know how to change the drive letters but I'm concerned that in renaming drive "D" the recovery programs won't be able to work if she ever needs to recover the system.

Does anyone have any ideas about this please?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/changing-drive-letter-on-vista-recovery-partition-295886.html
Relevancy 67.51%

Hi,

The drive letter of my boot/active Win7 partition should be C:, but in my case it isn't; the boot/active partition drive letter is F.

I've tried to move heaven and earth to change the drive letter of the boot partition but nothing works.

So, aren't there any apps, tools or utilities to change the drive letter of my current boot partition?

Thanks in advance,
Johan

A:Changing Drive Letter of Boot/Active partition

Nothing that I know of. My original Win 7 installation was "E" drive. I had considered things suggested but finally decided to let it be. It doesn't matter to Windows what the drive letter is, everything works regardless of the drive lettter. I later installed Windows 7 on an SSD drive, with a clean install (and the SSD drive the only drive connected during installation) and now back to the "C" drive.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/270108-changing-drive-letter-boot-active-partition.html
Relevancy 67.51%

Okay so I managed to figure out all my problems with my partitions and my computer not starting and I am finally at the last step. I have a partition made specifically for Minecraft with a smaller cluster size so it runs faster...

Now I would like it so this drive has no letter so everyone doesn't see the Minecraft drive on there accounts (in-case they say whats that oh delete etc...). So how can I create a shortcut to the launcher in this drive without allowing the drive to have a letter???

Regards, Radical924

A:How can I make a shorcut to a hidden drive/partition with no letter???

How about a security setting?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/301045-how-can-i-make-shorcut-hidden-drive-partition-no-letter.html
Relevancy 67.51%

Hi
After partitioning a hard drive with Partition magic, the two partitions were labeled D: and E:
The boot partition was D:. I used the option to change the boot partition to C:. The software showed a warning that renaming the boot partition might result in not being able to boot. I went ahead reasoning that, at worst, I would have to use a CD to reboot. Well, now the computer won't start (I don't mean won't reboot. When I hit the power button the front power light goes on and stays on, the power supply runs, but that's it.

Any ideas?

thanks

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/no-start-after-change-of-drive-letter-in-partition-magic-338582.html
Relevancy 67.08%

I have a single drive partitioned into 2.

I installed windows 8.1 onto partition C.
I cloned partition C onto partition D using EaseUS Backup.
I used easyBCD to add a boot entry for partition D.

I know if you do two separate installtions through the installer, windows makes the drive letter it boots from into drive letter C. This retains the proper path links and ensures compatibility for all applications.

But with the clone when i boot into drive D, it doesn't rename itself into drive C. How can I get the rename functionality enabled so it works properly?

What I have now is windows starting from drive D, but all the links point to drive C for everything including the desktop.

A:Dual Booting Cloned Partition - Incorrect drive letter

SOLVED:

I solved it the issue. It was because that the disk lettering was already enumerated for the other partition on the initial installation. You couldn't change it in disk management since it was in use.

I opened the registry on disk d remotely.
I went into HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > MOUNTEDDEVICES > CLEAR ALL KEYS

Those keys are what gives the drives the letters, but they have to be removed remotely and not within the installation

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/56392-dual-booting-cloned-partition-incorrect-drive-letter.html
Relevancy 67.08%

I searched for my specific issue but haven't been able to find it.

I've a dual-boot setup with XP Home SP3 and Win7 Pro 32bit on one hard drive, data on the others, and two DVD writers.

After Win7 was installed, the XP partition received the letter D:

This screwed up my optical drive letter assignments.

Shown in the pic is Disk Management in Win7. (In XP, the Win7 partition shows up as I:, which causes no problems)

When I went to change the XP partition letter to X:, so that I could reassign my opticals to the standard D: and E: letters, I got the message shown in the box.

My question is, is it possible to reassign the XP partition's letter, so that I can get D: and E: back as optical drive letter assignements? Will reassigning the XP partition a letter other than D: screw up booting Win7?

A:Dual boot Win7 & XP, XP partition drive letter reassignment?

I certainly wouldn't advocate trying to change system drive letters.

I think, quite honestly, your best solution is to allocate new drive letters to your optical drives.

I would suggest K and L so that the two optical drives are unaffected by whichever system you boot into.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/231137-dual-boot-win7-xp-xp-partition-drive-letter-reassignment.html
Relevancy 67.08%

I used to boot into Win which has been installed on a partition with in partition Win8 after Changed drive EaseUS change letter drive letter W After I ran EaseUS partion manager Best partition manager software - EaseUS Partition Master Family the partition has been enlarged and at first glance I am Changed Win8 drive letter after partition change in EaseUS able to boot Unfortunately my login screen is not customized anymore does not display background pictures apps et cetera and upon login I can hardly do anything no desktop is displayed I cannot start an explorer instance et cetera Guest logins are automatically kicked out Upon logging in it has remembered by username and apparently my credentials it just says 'Preparing Windows' for some time en then displays a blank screen in which I can see my mouse and with ctrl-alt-del get some options but I'm not able to start the task manager When I reboot into safe mode which is way more hidden than in Win I m able to start a task manager en from the I can run items browse my PC et cetera However I can see that my drive letter has been changed from W to E Most of the application I start are broken like when I start the MSC snap-in in order to maybe change the drive letter using Windows' built-in partition manager it state it is broken When I try to change the drive letter using the command prompt and 'diskpart' I'm not allowed as the drive I want to assign a drive letter to is a system drive I seem to have suffered no data loss I've got most stuff backed up anyway but don't want to re-install either The system is dual boot so I can work on the Win version but assigning a drive letter in Win only assigns it for the Win instance Any bright tips anyone

A:Changed Win8 drive letter after partition change in EaseUS

Phew, found a solution myself:

With some effort I was able to boot into safe mode, tricked an instance of the task manager, from the task manager I could start regedit.

In regedit I assigned the appropriate drive letter under:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices

This worked for me, but I recommend this ONLY as a last resort kind of thing.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/281003-changed-win8-drive-letter-after-partition-change-easeus.html
Relevancy 67.08%

My OS is Windows 8.1.

I partitioned my hard drive and labeled the new partition (H), the (D), is the recovery partition. I then created an image of the ©, onto partition (H), so if need be I don’t have to go through that wonderful reload of windows and update process.
I went to check out the partition and sure as poop there’s a problem! It is saying that the Image location is on (D), but date and time I created the image is correct. I also tried to select a system image, but the only one is the (D).  

Hope this enough info tried to attach a screen shot, but it was to large.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/562432/image-repair-displays-wrong-partition-drive-letter/
Relevancy 67.08%

I have two virtually identical Dell laptops running Windows Home Premium.

On one of them I wanted to see what was in the hidden RECOVERY partition so I fired up Disk Manager and added a drive letter. Nothing in the partition made sense to me so I removed the drive letter.

However, windows no longer recognizes the RECOVERY partition. If I run standard windows "Create System Repair Disc", I get an error message "The parameter is incorrect 0x80070057".

The Dell DataSafe program also says it cannot find the RECOVERY partition.

a) Is there some kind of attribute that got changed when I assigned the drive letter and then removed it? If yes, how can I set it back?

b) The laptops are virtually identical. Can I use a recovery disk from one on the other? I'm particularly interested in keeping MS Office 2010 Starter edition intact when I upgrade to Win 7 Pro.

TIA

A:Added Drive Letter to Recovery Partition, Then Removed... Now Broken

The recovery partition should have a letter. The System Reserved does not have one. Can you post a
Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image and I can look at it and see what is wrong. Be sure and widen the columns so all of the print can be read.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/385796-added-drive-letter-recovery-partition-then-removed-now-broken.html
Relevancy 67.08%

Hello I recently took my hard drive out of my laptop and plugged it into an external Issue/boot Letter 8 no boots longer - Drive partition? Win USB drive to copy some files to another laptop Upon putting the hard drive back into my laptop windows would no longer boot It Win 8 no longer boots - Drive Letter Issue/boot partition? would get to the Operating System select screen I also boot Win on this system and when Win 8 no longer boots - Drive Letter Issue/boot partition? I select windows it would go to a black screen hard drive light would flicker for a bit and it would just stay stuck on this black screen When I rebooted and from the operating system select screen accessed the Command Prompt I noticed that the partition where Windows was was no longer on C Instead it was now residing at D and C was the system reserved partition which i think is the boot partition in windows So I'm guessing - and correct me if im wrong - that when i select Windows from the operating system screen it is searching for the operating system in C as it used to be but now somehow that partition now exists as D so it cant find the files and just hangs If this is the case then I suppose I either need my windows partition to reclaim C or i need to change the boot settings somehow to load windows from its new home at d Im guessing the first option is the best way to go back to exactly how things were I dont know how to do either So I'm not sure what happened here when I plugged my hard drive via an external USB caddy it seems to have changed a few things around on the drive like assigning the system reserved partition a drive letter - it shouldnt even have a letter should it As a side note Windows does boot correctly from this laptop - im guessing because when you select windows it restarts the machine and the OS can only see partition - that where windows resides Also I have a run a chkdsk on the windows partition and it came back with no problems

A:Win 8 no longer boots - Drive Letter Issue/boot partition?

Drive letters as seen by Start up Repair.

Try this,

How to do a Automatic Repair:
Automatic Repair - Run in Windows 8
Note: You may need to do startup repair 3 to 4 times.
Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times - Windows 7 Help Forums

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/30384-win-8-no-longer-boots-drive-letter-issue-boot-partition.html
Relevancy 67.08%

I am trying to help a friend I built a desktop computer for him Dec W Home Premium SP HDD haD a single partition C onto which I installed W using a legitimate commercial W DVD W was activated Updates were downloaded amp installed using W 's automatic update feature HDD is SATA TB The HDD system letter boot drive W7 [SOLVED] changed won't partition is seen by the BIOS within the [SOLVED] W7 system partition drive letter changed won't boot BIOS and from the boot menu Aug the computer worked properly shut down normally The next time he turned the PC on Aug the boot process proceeded through the Windows splash screen NO login screen appeared Spontaneous reboot W 's automatic repair screen appeared advising that W could not [SOLVED] W7 system partition drive letter changed won't boot be repaired Things I have tried System Restore point tried twice restore point for Aug notes Windows Update System Restore advised that it looked at the D drive for restore points None found Rebooted to W repair tool Command prompt C dir no files nor folders D dir files amp folders are present X bootrec scanos NO [SOLVED] W7 system partition drive letter changed won't boot Windows Installations found X bootrec fixmbr X bootrec fixboot X bootrec rebuildbcd Reboot Same problem Rebooted to W repair tool Command prompt X bootrec scanos NO Windows Installations found Reboot No Joy Rebooted to W repair tool Command prompt c bootrec fixmbr c bootrec fixboot c bootrec rebuildbcd Reboot Same problem Rebooted to W repair tool Command prompt X bootrec scanos NO Windows Installations found Reboot No Joy Rebooted to W repair tool Command prompt d bootrec fixmbr d bootrec fixboot d bootrec rebuildbcd Reboot No Joy Rebooted to W repair tool Command prompt d bootrec fixmbr d bootrec fixboot d bootsec exe nt all force After each instance of using bootrec and bootsec exe I have been informed that the operation completed successfully After each attempt at repairing W the computer boots beyond the W splash screen but the W login screen does not appear I also tried quot Last known good configuration quot Booted to optical drive with UBCD Win CD which I had made probably before W was released The HDD was not present in Computer My Computer If this can be fixed without a re-format re-install please tell me how If the fix requires a re-format re-install which tool can I use to copy my friend's data to an external drive I read about the Paragon Recovery CD but I have never used it Thanks for your attention to this problem wc

A:[SOLVED] W7 system partition drive letter changed won't boot

Hi, boot to the RE (repair your computer) at the x:\sources prompt type:-

bcdedit (press enter) this will reveal the boot manager and the boot loader that your OS uses to boot. Note down the entries, next type:-

bcdedit | find "osdevice" (press enter) this tells us what drive letter the RE has assigned the OS, not always C:

It will be this drive letter that you will need to use to repair the boot .

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-w7-system-partition-drive-letter-changed-wont-boot-662056.html
Relevancy 66.65%

I have a HDD that has partitioned into 2. One works, you can view files and you can see it consuming space in properties. However the other partition is empty and i cannot browse any of the files i had in it. In propeties it says its using over half of the allocated space and on browsing with hidden files there are only a couple empty folders.

Is there anyway i can recover those files? I have many cherished photos on it

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

A:Partition of 80GB hdd, one partition is browse-able other is not.

Can you post a screen shot of your partition arrangement in Disk Management?

Have you recently made any changes in your partitions?

When was the last time you were able to browse to these files in the "empty" partition and what (of any significance) have you done to your system since that time?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/192050-partition-80gb-hdd-one-partition-browse-able-other-not.html
Relevancy 66.22%

Hi,
So I inadvertently stumbled onto the disk management program, whilst looking for disk cleanup... and was a little confused to find a 25gb primary partition which was totally unassigned. It won't let me do anything to it other than delete it. So I guess the question I'm asking is, can I delete this partition and assign the 25gb to another drive... or, is this important? I've heard manufacturers often include an inaccessible recovery partition... but 25gb is space I could use...

I've included a screenshot in case my description was a bit rubbish.

Thanks,
Paul

A:Disk Management - 25gb primary partition, unallocated drive letter.

Welcome to the forum,

Can you post a better screenshot with everything in view,

Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/321317-disk-management-25gb-primary-partition-unallocated-drive-letter.html
Relevancy 66.22%

Hi all,

the other day I switched off the XP restore function after seeing my total drive capacity was out my 2gb. I went into Computer Management > Disk Management and found there was a partition 'unknown health partition'. I downloaded PartitionMagic to merge that partition with the main partition and everything seemed to have worked fine. Now trying to open PartitonMagic again, I get the following error, Init failed: Error 117, Partition's drive letter cannot be determined.
An error also pops up if I attempt to defragment the drive, 'Drive C might be corrupted, run chkdsk /f'. I've done that, no problems found, but I still keep getting the error. Any ideas how to fix this thing?

Thanks

A:PartitionMagic-Init failed: Error 117, Partition's drive letter cannot be determined

From here (archived) http://www.reference.com/browse/Symantec+norton+partition+magic&

Compatibility issues
PartitionMagic is compatible with Windows NT, 98, ME, 2000, and XP desktop editions. However, it is not compatible with Windows NT, 2000, or .NET server editions. It crashes if a Windows Vista partition is present, even if it is run from a different operating system, with the error "Init failed: Error 117. Partition's drive letter cannot be identified". However this error can be avoided if the Windows Vista partition is configured using Windows XP instead of creating the partition using Windows Vista or its installation disk. To fix this, all partitions on the hard drive need to be deleted and formatted into new partitions using the Windows XP installation disk, allowing for a working partition for Windows Vista to be created. The same error occurs in some conditions under WindowsClick to expand...

Normally it's best to use the bootup option (Dos) to access PM, sometimes within Windows it cannot find the drive letter correctly

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/partitionmagic-init-failed-error-117-partitions-drive-letter-cannot-be-determined.114814/
Relevancy 66.22%

Had one of the drive cables come loose while the system was powered up. On fixing the problem and powering the system back up I got the dreaded "Unable to Boot, insert System Disk" error. Booted up with my Windows 7 install cd, went into Recovery Console, and discovered the Console was saying that Disk 0 / Partition 0 is F:\ . Even though the auto repair didn't work I was able to use Bootrec /fixmbr and Bootrec /fixboot , but should I be worried that C: is F: in the Recovery Console? The drive is on SATA 1 (System calls them SATA 1 to SATA 4), so it's Disk 0, and Win 7 is on the first partition, so Partition 0, so by system logic that should be C:. O.o

And poking at the files on the harddrive the /fixboot and /fixmbr put the boot files (win7ldr, grldr, /boot folder, etc) onto the second partition (D which is Disk 0 / Partition 1. O.o Or should be...

A:Windows 7 Recovery Console says Win7's partition drive letter is diff.

Can you post a picture of disk management. That would help.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/312260-windows-7-recovery-console-says-win7s-partition-drive-letter-diff.html
Relevancy 66.22%

I've done quite a bit of reading but have not found a specific answer to the title of this thread.  The system reserved partition for Windows 7 is created and has assigned the drive letter D:.  While I have no problem with the system partition
per se, I would prefer no drive letter to be assigned or to able to change it at the very least.

A:Change or remove Windows 7 System Reserved partition Drive Letter

It is highly unusual for Windows 7 to assign a letter to the reserved partition.  It is more likely that someone assigned the letter D: to that partition.
However, you should be able to go to the Disk Management and remove the letter on that partition.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/8910da73-2b1c-4e66-b582-de13840af415/change-or-remove-windows-7-system-reserved-partition-drive-letter?forum=w7itproinstall
Relevancy 65.79%

i wanna know which is the best hard drive . This one (Western Digital My Passport 1TB external HDD
USB3) or this one (Western Digital My Passport Essential SE 1TB
external HDD USB3)
and what is the advantages and disadvantages of both h

A:which is best hard drive . My passport or my passport essential se ?

no answer till now?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/269806-best-hard-drive-my-passport-my-passport-essential-se.html
Relevancy 65.79%

After executing the following diskpart commands to the recovery partition the WinRE image is no longer accessible by ReAgentC and recovery media can not be created:
remove
set id=de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac
gpt attributes=0x8000000000000001
Do I have to manually mount the recovery partition every time I want to create a recovery media?

JTS

A:ReAgentC: After removing drive letter and setting GPT partition ID/attributes WIM is no longer accesible.

The Create Recovery Media utility works fine. I just ran it as a test, and it does not unhide the recovery partition at any time during the media creation process. So that partition being hidden is not a problem. I took a screenshot showing Disk Management
after the utility created the recovery on USB.

Are you using Windows 8.1? If so, was it original 8.0 and updated through the Store?
I notice that in some cases, an 8.0 original, updated to 8.1 may show errors relating to recovery. For example, if you try to run recovery, it says no recovery partition present and to insert media! But when 8.1 originally came out, you could run recovery
immediately after without having to insert a disc. Something changed over that time period... perhaps it is related to a Windows Update somewhere. Anyways, if your PC is in this category, it is possible that it is related, and recovery media cannot be made
as normal.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/69ca4866-14ab-410c-a478-90e3bb2a1969/reagentc-after-removing-drive-letter-and-setting-gpt-partition-idattributes-wim-is-no-longer?forum=w8itproinstall
Relevancy 64.93%

My OS is Windows 8.1.
I partitioned my hard drive and labeled the new partition (H), the (D), is the recovery partition from HP. I then created an image of the (C), onto partition (H).
I than checked the recover image through the recover process and the new image reads (D) not (H). The funny thing is, that the date and time is correct for when I created it.
Does anyone have some insight on this?
Thank you,
RS

A:Solved: Image repair displays wrong partition drive letter, but right Time and date

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-image-repair-displays-wrong-partition-drive-letter-but-right-time-and-date.1141306/
Relevancy 64.93%

Hi im trying to create a new drive but it wont go over 13gb, it says my memory is full but i have 80gb free in my drive, what shall i do?

A:Cannot create partition over 13gb when i have 80gb free

Hello

Before we make any specific recommendations will you please post a snip/screen-shot of the entire disk management drive map with a full description as to which drive/partition is which, so we can see what you have going on as there may be a fairly simple way to resolve the situation.

In the Windows start menu right click computer and click manage, in the left pane of the "Computer Management" window that opens click disk management and post a snip of that.

How to Upload and Post a Screenshot and File in Seven Forums

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/147416-cannot-create-partition-over-13gb-when-i-have-80gb-free.html
Relevancy 64.93%

Hi,

just bought an dell xps 1330 with 200gb harddrive. I want to allocate, say, 30gb for vista and program files, then make a new partition for data. I realise that vista now can shrink partitions, and approximates some of the functionality of partition magic etc on xp. The problem is that vista wont let me shrink the c: to less than 80gb. The whole reason for shrinking is then to image the drive once every week or so for imaging, so I really just want the programs etc on the c: partition, and 80gb is too big.

Can anyone help me to fix this? I've looked around and cant see that 3rd party partitioning apps are currently supporting vista.

Thanks,

Toby.

A:How do I make a smaller than 80gb c: partition in vista?

Acronis Disk Director 10 works with Vista and will do what you want, but use carefully.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-do-i-make-a-smaller-than-80gb-c-partition-in-vista.665625/
Relevancy 64.5%

I have got HD 40 GB, I have partitioned it to many partitions some of them NTFS and other Fat32.

I installed XP and 2003, each one on a different partition (not same partition).

Letter for partition is changed to D for Win2003, and F for XP.

I tried to changed (Right Click My Computer->Manage->Disk Management ) the partition letter for XP (From F->E) while I was logging to Win2003 , I could not.

I tried to changed (Right Click My Computer->Manage->Disk Management ) the partition letter for 2003 (From D->C) while I was logging to XP , I could not.

Message that I received:

“Can not modify the drive letter of your system or boot volume”

Can I change the partition letter ? How ?

A:Change partition letter to the default letter

No, you can't change the drive letter of a Windows installation after it's installed.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/change-partition-letter-to-the-default-letter.428634/
Relevancy 62.35%

I assign greyed Paths... Change drive letter. out. and Can't Drive Letter have a drive that has a lot of information on it that I need A user left our company and all of his files are on this drive I was handed it and asked to build a VM with all his information on it When I plug the drive in it loads the drivers and shows up just fine Change Drive Letter and Paths... greyed out. Can't assign drive letter. in Computer Management shown below but not in Computer So I think ok I'll just add a drive letter but that option is greyed out and won't let me The disk Change Drive Letter and Paths... greyed out. Can't assign drive letter. is initialized and appears to be healthy I have gone to device manager and made sure there were no problems there as well It was also an external drive so I removed it and made it an internal drive on my machine but got the same results It shows up in BIOS but obviously can't boot off of it since it is not an OS drive Deleting formatting the drive is not an option Is there a way to get this drive accessible without that Deleting it is the exact opposite of what I want done here nbsp Thanks

A:Change Drive Letter and Paths... greyed out. Can't assign drive letter.

That looks like a mac formatted drive, that's why it wont work on your PC. Try installing Paragon HFS+ for Windows.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/1ba097f6-8a0b-43d8-a826-928458c4ba15/change-drive-letter-and-paths-greyed-out-cant-assign-drive-letter?forum=w7itprohardware
Relevancy 61.06%

Hi I ve a Dell pc assigned letter partition by "visible" and Windows drive becoming Hidden XP with a small hidden diagnostic FAT EISA partition Starting a few days ago this formerly Hidden partition becoming "visible" and assigned drive letter by Windows XP hidden partition appears to have become visible to Windows XP which assigns it a drive Hidden partition becoming "visible" and assigned drive letter by Windows XP letter I used the command quot mountvol d quot to remove such newly created drive letter but it reappears everytime Windows boots or restarts even in Safe Mode Has anyone experienced anything similar Is it possible that a certain registry setting relating to the formerly hidden partition has somehow been altered If so how can this be reversed so that no drive letter is assigned automatically to the formerly hidden partition An interesting observation is that in HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SYSTEM MountedDevices there is no DosDevices x where x is the drive letter which corresponds to the drive letter now assigned to the formerly hidden partition I cannot use the Disk Management MMC Snap-in to remove the drive letter assignment since selecting the partition and right-clicking only brings up a single quot Help quot line in the context menu without any of the usual options like quot Change Drive Letter and Paths quot Thanks in advance for any suggestions and feedback Luke nbsp

A:Hidden partition becoming "visible" and assigned drive letter by Windows XP

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hidden-partition-becoming-visible-and-assigned-drive-letter-by-windows-xp.938588/
Relevancy 61.06%

sir,

i have windows 7 desktop. there are some partition on it.but there is problem with these partition. All the three partition have the same drive letter.i attach a link showing the picture. all three partitions are dynamic , simple. if i open these drives only the contents of one drive are appeared. another two drive data are not shown in any manner.

i don't want to lose any data from any drive ......
please help me sir...
my windows is installed in c:\ drive which is also dynamic and there are no recent changes.only one change i did which is i shrink dynamic volume 50 GB from 206 GB and again mixed with 206 GB without allocating free space.

and only the c drive is on and d drive is off.but in my other desktop same configuration exist.
please help me...and please don't say change and remove drive letter...........waiting for response

A:changing one drive letter all 3 partitions change to that drive letter

First thing you're going to do is fill in the specs of the desktop whose snips you are showing us.

Then you're going to do the same with the second pc opening a second post with snips. Give it a different title like "Second pc with drive letters the same". Don't forget the snips.

You should not have dynamic disks in either machine. What did you do to accomplish this?

There exists a bevy of spectacular experts on this site that will be happy to help you. But give us ALL the info please.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/281527-changing-one-drive-letter-all-3-partitions-change-drive-letter.html
Relevancy 60.63%

Hi,
My windows 7 is suddenly applying a drive letter to the system partition, and removing the letter which causes the "new disk inserted" window to keep popping up every half second. In Disk Manager the drive letter appears and disappears every half second.
The only way I've stopped it is to permanently apply a drive letter, which means it is now visible in windows explorer.

A:System reserved partition becoming "visible" and intermittently assigned drive letter by Windows

I assume by 'system partition' you really mean the hidden system restore partition installed by your PC builder? If so, then after I just fired up Paragon Partition Manager to see what it makes of that partition on my Win 7 PC, I find the partition is Primary, NTFS, active, not hidden, volume name WinRe.

The main interesting thing is the volume letter seems to be set to '*'. It appears as (*) rather than (C: ) as the OS drive does. Furthermore, the main menu has a 'partition' tab, where one of the options is 'assign drive letter', and the next option below is 'remove drive letter' which is currently greyed out.

Looking at the standard Windows computer management, storage, disk management, I see a similar picture, except there is no volume letter at all (apparent in that window anyway).

Quite how the partition gets identified in that way is a puzzle, but you might try a free partition manager, such as gparted and see what that says, and possibly allows you to change. As I say above, Paragon Partition Manager might let you de-assign a drive letter but I dont dare try it myself

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/system-reserved-partition-becoming-visible-and-intermittently-assigned-drive-letter-by-windows.188983/
Relevancy 60.63%

I had Windows this Letter select Partition and to Install?" "Would YOU for the like Drive XP Home installed on my C drive I purchased Vista Home Premium and when I installed it on my Gig Drive-- The quot System s quot automatically made a partition of about gigs -leaving XP Home OS as Drive E and My new Vista install went on Drive C And Voila It quot System s quot also constructed a Dual Boot Selection for me I have recently bought Windows XP PROFESSIONAL to Upgrade Home and proposed to install XP Pro on Drive E I First got a message that the copy I have is already quot newer quot than the one I'm trying to Install I let this fly by and then I got Question quot Would YOU like to select "Would YOU like to select the Partition and Drive Letter for this Install?" the Partition and Drive Letter for this Install Naturally I ticked BOTH Options YES As the minute install was into - minutes I got an Warning error that the Install CAB on Drive C was going into an Error state I REALLY don't want to mess with drive C AT ALL --as I've installed the Windows Candidate Release OVER the VISTA OS on Drive C Can anyone help me out here

A:"Would YOU like to select the Partition and Drive Letter for this Install?"

Well firstly if you want to upgrade your XP Home install make sure you run the XP Pro setup from XP HOME!! Then it should tell you that your current OS is older than the one on disk, and offer you the option to upgrade.

NB: When you boot into XP you should notice that the drive letters will be different (usually the current system drive is associated to C:- so in XP, your XP part will be C, but in Vista/7 your vista part will instead be labled C:).

As long as you've booted into XP, and run the upgrade setup from there you shouldn't encounter any problems, and it shouldn't touch your Vista partition.

The only issue you may find is that the XP Pro setup might re-write your boot selector with the old legacy one used back in XP, so you wont be able to boot into Vista/7, but that can be fixed by either using EasyBCD in XP to restore the BCD boot manager, or by booting your PC from the Vista/7 disc and selecting the option to repair startup issues.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/would-you-like-to-select-the-partition-and-drive-letter-for-this-install-424340.html
Relevancy 60.63%

I am running 7 pro 64bit on a ASUS p8p67 deluxe mobo and I copied all data from my 1tb storage D: drive to a backup external and proceded to install raid 5 with 3 single 1tb drives and the raid is up an running. However using Intel Rapid Storage Technology to setup the raid inside windows I had to use the drive letter R: because D: was not available in the list option. When I start some programs, the program is looking for the data on D: drive. Is there any way to change the letter of my raid storage from R: to D:?

Thanks
Jeff

A:RAID 5 switched from single storage to raid 5, lost drive letter

It's possible the cd-rom/dvd drive assigned itself as d: before the new raid was created.
This should be solvable using the windows disk management tool if that's the case.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/192411-raid-5-switched-single-storage-raid-5-lost-drive-letter.html
Relevancy 60.2%

Hi Guys,

May I request your kind assistance or help to recover my deleted/lost partition. I have a lot of important files like documents and pictures that I need to recover . Please help me guys.

Please see the screenshot before the converstion happened.

Kind regards,
Donald

A:Lost partition drive after conversion of MBR to GPT.

Welcome to the forum can you explain what you have done and how you did it and we're we are at now

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/69238-lost-partition-drive-after-conversion-mbr-gpt.html
Relevancy 60.2%

I ll run through what I ve done and where I m at I had an external USB drive setup with partitions I wanted to delete the first partition and then expand the second one to take up the new space I used Partition Wizard to do this It rebooted and said it had successfully completed Upon reboot Windows s Disk Management plugin reported the entire drive as quot raw unformatted quot Clearly something had gone wrong I tried to revive the partitions with partition wizard but it would not allow any recovery I ran testdisk and it quot successfully quot rebuilt the partition table Now disks showed up correctly Disks and showed up as unformated raw Partition Wizard tech support offered me a free data recovery software that they make I installed it it detected my missing file tree immediately and went about restoring it non destructively and to a new drive It appeared to work and hours later I felt I had my data back Before I reformated the external drive however I tried to verify that partition USB on Lost external drive.... the recovered data was good It was all corrupt It was all the correct file sizes Lost partition on external USB drive.... and attributes but none of it was readable I experienced the same problem with GetDataBackNTFS Any advice of where I go from here I m currently running a full-scan Lost partition on external USB drive.... with GetDataBackNTFS and hope this will correct the file offsets which I have a hunch is what s wrong nbsp

A:Lost partition on external USB drive....

I would remove the drive from the enclosure and install as a secondary drive in another PC, then try partition repair or recovery software.

USB controllers do not always work well with partition software or recovery software.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lost-partition-on-external-usb-drive.872166/
Relevancy 59.77%

Hi This is a background of what happened to my laptop My hard drive has two partitions C and P C looks normal but P which has all of my files is empty Properties show that Capacity and Free Space are the same I tried to search a specific partition lost files help Need drive the my from locating that were file that I know is saved in drive P and it shows up under Recent Documents together with the rest of my lost files Only they are shortcuts When I try to open one an error message says quot The drive or network connection that the shortcut quot filename quot refers to is unavailable Make sure that the disk is properly inserted or the network resource is available And then try again I did a System Restore but nothing happened I ran Malwarebytes Spybot SAS RKill TDSKiller SystemLook Unhide exe by following what I found in your forums They found several Trojans Adware Tracking Cookie Microsoft WindowsSecurityCenter FirewallOverride and Microsoft WindowsSecurityCenter AntiVirusOverride So I followed the cleaning instructions but it still did not bring back my files One thing I noticed in Malwarebytes When I do a scan of drive P it scans the C drive instead I did the troubleshooting advised by boopme then I was helped by m le After several Need help locating my files that were lost from the partition drive scans he finally gave me the ok that my laptop is clean and advised me to post here regarding my problem with the lost files When I open Drive P it contains a Recycler Folder and a System Volume Information folder that I can t open Basically Drive P doesn t contain anything Please help I really need those files and I m hoping that they are still in there somewhere still hidden by the after effects of the virus The last virus found is Win AutoRun Hupigon V worm Thanks

A:Need help locating my files that were lost from the partition drive

Hi

I read your other threads and it looks like these were all missing before you started posting and it did not happen while you were going through the process of cleaning with the help here at this forum.

Can you give us any other information about what happened around the time that the files stopped being available?

An important question, since the partition still exists is were they deleted or formatted?

Or did in fact the entire P: partition disappear and you did something to bring it back?

James

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/444355/need-help-locating-my-files-that-were-lost-from-the-partition-drive/
Relevancy 59.77%

Hi I have lost 2nd partition of hard drive - when I scan with partition magic it shows but I can't access - I have loads of personal stuff in it from my brother that passed few weeks ago - I am so desperate to have it back and files restored could some please assist - I really appreciate any help

A:Partition help - lost - toshiba hard drive

Try Partition Wizard 8.1.1 instead. It's preferable to Partition Magic.

Free download Magic Partition Manager Software, partition magic alternative, free partition magic, partition magic Windows 7 and server partition software - Partition Wizard Online

Don't try to recover files first. You'll need to try to recover the partition.

I'm not an expert on it, so wait for more comments.

But you can at least try to do a scan with Partition Wizard while you wait.

Don't write anything else to that partition.

If you can't recover the partition, then you'll have to try to recover the files, but concentrate on the partition for now.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/335772-partition-help-lost-toshiba-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Hi everyone, have been searching the boards for something similar to my problem but no luck, so here goes...

Long Story short, i reset my comp when it was writing to disk (Bad idea i know, i'm impatient) and when it rebooted, my secondary drive (250GB maxtor diamond max 10) was missing from explorer (xp). It can be seen in BIOS ok, and appears in Disk management as unallocated. I ran the Maxtor Powermax program (good advice from another post) which confirmed the drive is fine apart from 'absent' partion information. I have tried the drive in another pc and got the same symptoms.

The drive contains about 180GB of video files and editing which i haven't backed up due to its size, and i really need to get them back. Does anyone have any ideas?

Any help will be muchly appreciated,

Thanks,

Sancho

A:Corrupted / Lost Partition on Second Hard drive

How was the disk partitioned? If it was just one big primary partition then filling in the missing partition table manually should fix it..

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/corrupted-lost-partition-on-second-hard-drive.38679/
Relevancy 59.77%

I have a hard drive that I believe lost the partition on it. It will not boot into Windows (7) and when I attach it to another computer via USB/SATA adapter, it mounts 3 separate partitions (drive letters M, N and O) but when I click on any of them I receive the error:

N:\ is not accessible. The parameter is incorrect.​
I am confused at what to do because if it was a damaged or lost partition, shouldn't it not show up at all as a mounted drive? Looking for any help you can offer.

Relevancy 59.77%

Hi.

Alright I got a new Seagate 250GB drive and I am trying to transfer data that is from a 120GB WD drive that has lost its partition formatting.

I have tried to do it with PC Inspector File Recovery, but while the program finds the data is not transferring it over. The progress bar for "saving to" never changes and I ran this since 6pm yesterday and there was no change when I stopped it several minutes ago. Now all I want to do is get the data from one drive to the other, and then fix the partition problem for the other drive and if the data is on the Seagate, I do not care about reformatting the WD.

But step one the data, am I doing something wrong? Both drives are USB on Windows XP with all the most recently fixes installed.

Thank you.

Relevancy 59.77%

I need some urgent help Please This morning I used Windows Vista Disk Management Tools to Create a New Simple Volume - H around GB on my laptop GB HDD from some free unallocated space I had created a while ago After the formatting was completed Drive Partition Hard Lost/Reallocated my G GB - it is very full too - only around GB of GB free and my R around GB - empty disappeared When I checked again Lost/Reallocated Hard Drive Partition with the Disk Management Tools the space previously occupied by my G and R have been merged and reallocated as free or unallocated space Both partitions were Simple NTFS The G has all of my information documents music video etc on it so it is very important to me - obviously After I rebooted a couple of times things got worse Now after booting I get error messages saying that G Desktop could not be located and so my desktop is now the Vista default - all of my shortcut icons have disappeared and when I try to launch anything I get errors saying it s unable to load things can t be found or I don t have permissions all apps are installed on another partition F or a few standard ones on the C partition with the OS I am currently booting in Safe Mode with Networking and everything works fine in here I can boot any utilities or applications I want though the Desktop is still missing and occasionally I get error messages about the missing G Desktop So it appears there is no problem with the physical HDD I am currently scanning with O amp O Media Recovery and it seems to be turning up the files I am hoping all of them but this will take another hours or so to complete So my questions are these Why how did this happen How do I avoid it in the future How do I recreate my partitions and recover my files on G The best and most efficient way Why with only the G and R gone did Vista lose the plot What effect would a Vista System Restore have I m assuming this wont get me back to where I want to be I have attached a screen dump of the Disk Manager screen post-meltdown to this post My laptop has a single GB HDD and is running Vista Ultimate -bit nbsp

Relevancy 59.77%

Hi, everyone. I would like some advice on what to do. As the title says, that is basically what happened. This happened while I was playing World of Warcraft. World of Warcraft was on the same drive partition as well. I was wondering if there's any possible way of getting my data back without having to reformat it. I'm assuming the data is still there (I hope).

This is making me a bit distraught, because some of my C++ practice programs, my driver files, and my music (my own made music) were on that partition. I included a screenshot of my disk management. It was unallocated, but I decided to see what would happen if I could make a new volume on the unallocated space. I haven't reformatted yet.

A:Computer restarted on its own, drive partition lost

What was unallocated ? Which partition E: ?

Which partition had your data ?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/264877-computer-restarted-its-own-drive-partition-lost.html
Relevancy 59.34%

I recently formatted my GB WD Passport External HD to exFAT because I wanted to connect it I partition HD? External Passport WD can't my Why 750GB to my PS but as it turns out exFAT is not FAT so it Why can't I partition my WD Passport 750GB External HD? didn't Why can't I partition my WD Passport 750GB External HD? work So now I want to partition my HD so a part of it will be FAT Why can't I partition my WD Passport 750GB External HD? and the rest will still be exFAT However when I used Vista's disk management thingy I can't partition it at all it's just one HUGE block of around GB and I've only used around GB of space on it so there's more than GB of space left but why can't I partition it I tried using EASEUS Partition Master but to no avail as well Attached is a picture of my situation the H drive is my external HD I hope I don't need to reformat my HD again cause moving GB of things around takes a LOOOONG time Please help me out guys IMG file C Users andywu AppData Local Temp moz-screenshot png IMG

A:Why can't I partition my WD Passport 750GB External HD?

I have found a download that may work (I have not used this site before so use at your own risk).
Free Partition Magic For Exfat Downloads: EASEUS Partition Manager Server Edition by YIWO Tech Ltd, EASEUS Partition Manager Home Edition by YIWO Tech Ltd and More

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/286055-why-cant-i-partition-my-wd-passport-750gb-external-hd.html
Relevancy 59.34%

Want to Assign a drive letter to a partitioned device but the letter is not in the list

I created a partitioned drive I went to assign letter G but I don't see it in the list. no drive is using the letter G I do believe that some USB is using letter G, but I don't see my USBs ( see image)

What can I do?

Thanks
CE

A:Want to Assign a drive letter to a partitioned device but the letter i

Do you have any USB storage devices like a card reader hooked up? Those would take up extra drive letters but not show up in Explorer until you put some media in.

I also notice you have disk drives C: and F: and a DVD drive on D: which makes me wonder where E: is...

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/192372-want-assign-drive-letter-partitioned-device-but-letter-i.html
Relevancy 59.34%

I lost my Event Viewer, and had to do a repair installation to fix it. Unfortunately, during the repair install, Windows decided to rename my second HD as the D: drive... it was K: before that. Now I cannot access any of my docs, pictures, music, or videos through the normal means... they don't show up in libraries or explorer, and apps like Restorator and Sure Thing (CD labeler) cannot find them. I think that means the paths are broken..?

It won't allow me to rename the HD back into K: (it's not listed as available). I can access the data by clicking Computer > D, and I can see the data is there, but its unusable as of now. Any ideas?

A:Can't change hard drive letter to needed letter

Hello Stevie,

To be safe, you should create a restore point before doing this in case you make a mistake and need to use it to do a system restore.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ndows-7-a.html

1. If the K letter is not being used by another internal drive, then you can open regedit and navigate to:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices
2. In the left pane, Take ownership (step 2 in Option Two of METHOD TWO) of the registry key MountedDevices and "Allow" yourself "Full Control" of it as well.

3. In the right pane of MountedDevices, right click on \DosDevices\K: and click on Delete and OK.

4. Restart the computer to apply. You should now be able to change the second hard drive letter to K.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/39481-cant-change-hard-drive-letter-needed-letter.html
Relevancy 59.34%

Hello

I had to open my pc and remove drives. Once re-installed, one of the drive has seen it's letter allocation modified. Since 2 application is pointing to G drive, I would like to be able to get it back.

Hard disk (2) Was G: Now, show has a D:
CD drive was D: Now show has E:

G: appear had a "movable" drive

What can I do to replace all drive letter allocation has it use to be

Any info appreciated

Martin

A:modifying drive letter: Letter to choose not in the list

To find out why the preferred letter is not available. Type disk management in the search bar on the start menu and select "create and format hard disk partitions". Look to see if the letter you want to use is already in use. If it is you will have to change it first.

This link might be helpful.
How to change drive letters--even when the letter you want isn't available | PCWorld

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/363437-modifying-drive-letter-letter-choose-not-list.html
Relevancy 58.91%

Hi guys Been doing my best to sort out a troublesome PC and this Recovery File Ntfs Drive/partition? On Lost forum kept coming up when googling so thought you guys might be able to help out Up for a File Recovery On Lost Ntfs Drive/partition? challenge I have made some attempt myself using tutorials but can t help but think I should have posted first Anyway what s done is done Setup Win XP Pro SP with three logical drives Physical Disk GB SATA - NTFS Logical Drive C and D C containing Windows Physical Disk IDE - FAT converted to NTFS Logical F Physical Disk GB SATA - NTFS Logical G Long story short - some bad new RAM was causing my screen to BSOD and restart Before I could properly diagnose that it killed an audio driver which continued the BSODs even after the RAM was removed a BSOD restart killed one of my hard drives - G Physical Disk Windows would not boot with it plugged in moaned about hal dll missing even though it s not the Windows drive - booted fine without it plugged in and from Windows Recovery Console it was dismissed as having quot Unrecoverable Errors quot when trying to DIR or CHKDSK On advice I tried bootfix which made it an empty GB drive FAT format Loaded up TestDisk from the UBCD which claimed it had one Linux partition I followed a tutorial to scan it in forced NTSC mode but it came up with nothing I then used ADRC Data Recovery to write an NTFC boot sector but all that did was make the drive unreadable Then used a couple of scanning tools PC Inspector File Recovery and NTFS Data Recovery demo neither of which reckoned there were any files However there was some moaning about the number of heads being instead of which I don t understand so haven t messed with Nothing I have done has written to the disk since the crash other than the attempted re-write of the boot sector I do not need data recovery but there are some irreplaceable files in amongst those inaccessible s and s that I would really REALLY like to recover So any ideas here I can t help but feel it might be a challenge as they say All advice appreciated Andy

A:File Recovery On Lost Ntfs Drive/partition?

Each time that you access the disk (even during bootup) the chances of losing your data increase. So limit your disk accesses as much as possible.A data recovery program attempts to check the structure of the disk and see if it can find anything that it recognizes as files. Since you've already performed some of the tests that we'd recommend, I'd have to suggest that you consult a commercial firm that specializes in this sort of thing (and they are expensive!).Other things to try would be the NTFS GetDataBack tool from http://www.runtime.orgIt allows you to scan the drive (for free) to see if anything is recoverable, then you'll have to pay to do the actual recovery (about $80 US the last time I checked)Others here have recommended a free tool called Recuva, and other free tools may also be listed here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/158587/file-recovery-on-lost-ntfs-drivepartition/
Relevancy 58.48%

I'm a fixin to put this here Western Digital Caviar 7200rpm 8MB cache in my machine. I'm a wantin to use it as my master drive. I have XP Pro SP1a on a 120 Western Digital which is currently my master. Can I make a backup and put it on my new HD and install there or do I need to reinstall fresh onto the new HD

Relevancy 58.48%

I m sure there are plenty of threads that say exactly what I m Drive 80gb Dead? going to say Last night while watching videos from my third internal hard drive the video just stopped I turned the computer off only to see that it said quot SATA Drive not found Press f quot They are all three SATA drives The main drive which holds the OS has been pretty much running since Feb with a couple of weekend downtime and one or two formats I ve tried 80gb Drive Dead? everything from resetting the BIOS to the factory settings disabling the other two SATA drives that only the boot is quot ON quot and even reinstalling a fresh copy of XP onto the drive but it won t even let me do that because it says there is no drive All cables are plugged in and as far as I know everything in the BIOS is set up the correct way One thing I did notice is that when I took the drive out and gently moved it or rotated it that the drive arm was moving when I gently moved the drive around It was a similar sound to a gb external WD drive I bought two years ago that died last year Any suggestions help comments about my drive nbsp

A:80gb Drive Dead?

'80gb Drive Dead?'

RIP

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/80gb-drive-dead.111088/
Relevancy 58.48%

Ok Reinstall/Fdisk/partition/lost space hard drive Folks I sure hope you can help me out with this as it is very frustrating for me This is what happend Our windows files were messed up so we decided to do a full system recovery starting with reformating our hard drive I read up on it and decided the best way to do this wast to Reinstall/Fdisk/partition/lost hard drive space use a win start up disk and do a format C so we did We have a gig hard drive and we noticed after installing XP that it showed us only having a gig hard drive Now i realize that if you partition a hard drive with fdisk and answer no when it asks if you want to enable large disk support it makes your partiton a fat which only enables you to use gigs of hd space so i choose to answer yes well when i go to create a primary dos partition the maximum amount of space available is gigs it wont allow me to change it to the gigs that are supposed to be available Ive tried installing xp on the gigs available thinking that somewhere along the way it would recalculate my drive space and fix the problem but it doesnt So ive reformated like times used fdisk to partiton and delete partitions and tried everything i can think of What am i doing wrong I mean is there a way to have dos recalculate the amount of space on my hard drive There has to be IT seems that the computer is stuck thinking i only have gigs and needs to erace this from memory and recalculate the amount of space available I also Reinstall/Fdisk/partition/lost hard drive space went into the setup by pressing f and chose to set default settings also it recognizes the hard drive as being gigs but for some reason nothing else does Even when i am in the windows xp installer and have options of creating or deleting partitions it only shows gigs available this is very frustrating please help Any help is appriciated Thanks nbsp

A:Reinstall/Fdisk/partition/lost hard drive space

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/reinstall-fdisk-partition-lost-hard-drive-space.121826/
Relevancy 58.05%

Hi, I've looked at lots of very useful threads here and I'm slowly getting closer to committing a process but I haven't got the guts to do it without an indication that I won't kill my data! I've tried a new USB 3 lead, running Mini Tool Partition Wizard, Recuva and Mini Tool Data Recovery. Partition Wizard and Recuva can't see the drive and Data Recover crashes when I search for it. I can see the drive in Device Manager and Disc Management and I've included images of these below. TestDisk can see it and I can navigate the whole process outlined by Jumanji till "Write partition table" in the ninth window, at which point I'm unsure what I'm writing to and if I'll overwrite any valuable data. Any help would be ridiculously appreciated and supported by grovelling gratitud

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/391763-wd-passport-ultra-1tb-not-initialised-no-show-mt-partition-wizard.html
Relevancy 58.05%

Hi,

I needed more space on my pc so i bought an extra hard drive. I installed it on the second IDE, set my first harddrive as a master drive and set my second as a cable select (as it didn't have instructions for a slave drive). Booted the compyter, but the BIOS didn't pick up the new hard drive. When i booted Windows it would pick up the new hardware but I couldn't see it in Windows Explorer or My Computer.

I then unplugged the second hard drive and replaced my 2 CD-ROMS with it. So I had one hard drive on IDE1 and one on IDE2. This worked fine and the BIOS regonised it. However I can't plug both CD Roms and two hard drives because the IDE cables aren't long enough.

Does anyone have any idea what im doing wrong? Help would be greatly appreciated!

Relevancy 58.05%

I got an external hard drive that I reformatted. Its an 80GB drive. After reformatting it, it shrank to 3GB. How is this possible?? How can I fix this??

A:80GB Hard Drive Shrank to 3GB - HELP

Can you show it to us in disk manager?

http://www.pchelpforum.com/windows-10-a/128654-80gb-hard-drive-shrank-3gb-help.html
Relevancy 58.05%

Ok guys... I had a WD 80gb Caviar HDD in my old Dell, it has alot of important files on it that I am trying to get, so I pulled out the IDE cable that came with my P6T Deluxe, plugged it in to the MB, too the Hard drive, and plugged in the power cable.

I also swapped the jumper on the HDD to "Slave" it was on "CS" not sure what that means, but I assumed it made the drive the Master drive.
Anyway, PC boots up fine, but HDD is not detected on bootup, but I can see it in device manager in Vista, but the drive is not showing up in explorer for me to explore through....
Any help is appreciated guys!!!!!

A:WD Caviar 80gb secondary IDE drive

nevermind guys, I managed to fix it shows up in windows vista now

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/213889-wd-caviar-80gb-secondary-ide-drive.html
Relevancy 58.05%

why would my hard drive be saying this? On top of that i cant get it to come up in My Computer, ive tried initializing it but i get nothing.(Disk 1)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/80gb-hard-drive-says-its-118mb.658852/
Relevancy 57.19%

i have a maxtor 80GB hd....

and i have a PCI ATA133 IDE card..... i plug everything in, and it only recognizes the 80GB hard drive as a 32GB hard drive ....... i thought with the ATA card, it would be ok, but guess not .....

i could resort to using maxtor's hard drive software, but rather not as id like to steer clear of that if possible .....

win2k
dell (older one)
PII 350Mhz
128MB Ram
Maxtor IDE ATA133 PCI card

help? quick if possible too

Relevancy 57.19%

I have an 80GB drive (actually used as a Doomsday back-up drive) which until yesterday was working and partitioned into two at about 12GB and 68GB. Suddenly, yesterday, with no intervention it became two partitions of about 3 and 17GB and no spare space. Chkdisc shows no errors.

How does this happen????