Windows Support Forum

Computer won't power up (poss. power supply)

Q: Computer won't power up (poss. power supply)

Hi I m currently a computing student so I rely won't up power (poss. Computer supply) power on my computer a lot for my studies and was hoping I could get some quick advice troubleshooting on here So here goes I ve had a problem with my computer recently it s been working fine Computer won't power up (poss. power supply) for a year or so with no problems and then one day i tried switching it on and nothing happened I tried once more and then the power short circuited I then had to turn the power back on from the mains switch The strange thing is my housemate had exactly the same problem and after searching for the answer he was told it was due to a static buildup and the solution was to take out components graphics card RAM e t c and put them back in I tried this and no luck I was thinking due to the short circuit there may be a problem with a fuse in the power supply other then that I m completely stumped and would appreciate any help given Many Thanks for all help received nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Computer won't power up (poss. power supply)

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Computer won't power up (poss. power supply)

Does it happen with any other appliances? as in does using the toaster while using the kettle While your mate is in the Electric shower, telly on, or ironing?

Possibly a static build up, it is possible, Wher are you situated??
What voltage are you on?

What is the make and model of your comp? is it the same as your friends?

is your machine custom built or is it a brand?
Answer a few of them and we will try to narrow it down 4 you..

Mean while if you could get your hands on a spare PSU that would be handy. And remember when dealing with PSU's alway leave them to sischarge for at least 24hrs,
the 3 D'S, Disconect, discharge, dismantle.
Relevancy 93.74%

My first post I received my new DVD DL -RW drive today and eagerly installed it I of course unplugged my computer s power supply while doing it After plugging the power back in the green up power disconnecting after power supply Computer won't LED on the back of the CPU started blinking never noticed this before and when I hit the power button NOTHING happen No fan Computer won't power up after disconnecting power supply turns no lights nothing When I unplug the power supply the green LED blinking gets slower and slower and after about minutes it totally stops I plug the power suppply back in and it starts blinking all over again and still the power won t turn on All I did was replace a CD-ROM drive with a DVD Multi drive I didn t mess with anything else so there should be no power supply shortage or problem Any thoughts as to what could Computer won't power up after disconnecting power supply be happening By the way I have a year old Compaq computer with ghz Athlon gig RAM no problems thus far nbsp

A:Computer won't power up after disconnecting power supply

While installing the new optical drive, you might have inadvertently loosened one or more connectors. Recheck all data and power cables to make sure they are tight, including all those to the motherboard.
Relevancy 90.3%

I have a Delta DPS-150GB B Power Supply out of an Apple Macintosh Power Mac computer. I would like to use it as a 12v/5A power supply for my model train layout. I have a couple important questions:

1) I need to know the pin-outs of the connectors (1-4pin, 1-14pin, 1-5pin on ribbon wire), specifically which ones control start-up and various voltage outputs.

2) Being a Switching Power Supply, I think there must be a load on at least one of the output rails. Can I create this with a simple resistor of some sort? if so, how exactly what would I need to do.

I can email photo of the connectors if that would halp. I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Relevancy 85.14%

Toshiba Satellite L305-5955, Ive taken apart and replaced power jack. Not directly soldered to motherboard. While still apart, and battery out/in, connected power supply and still absolutely no response. Power supply is NOT original, and slightly different specs, i.e original 19v..6.3A

current 19v..3.1A

A:Toshiba Satellite L305-5955 does not respond to power supply, new power jack

Almost certainly the problem is that the current rating is wrong, if the laptop needs
6.3 A of current, it won't function on less (just as you can't use a 3A fuse for a kettle!)
Unfortunately it must be the right current rating, I know, I've been caught that way too!
Maybe you can exchange it?
Relevancy 85.14%

Ever since i got this new motherboard and CPU ive been having a bit of a nightmare Wont Gigabyte Power up ga-ma790fx - Phenom AMD 9850 Supply & Power with it Gigabyte ga-ma fx-ds -Latest Bios AMD Phenom Black Edition gigs PC ram Corsair XMS CM X - ATI Radeon The problem is that the motherboard will NOT power up at all with the of the latest power supplies watt i have It wont work at all with Nothing happens its just dead Arctic watt Jeantech PSU brand new and working Corsair watt HX PSU working It only seems to work with my Jeantech Watt PSU and i cant for the life of me figure out why Ive tried everything to get the board to work with the new PSU s I had thought that the PSUs i got were dodgy but after testing out one in an older PC it worked fine Ive removed all parts and tried powering up and i cant get it to boot up But the PC seems to work fine with the oldish watt PSU which i find just unbelievable Can anyone help with this nightmare Now on the Gigabyte site the CPU i have isnt listed as supported by this motherboard which is kinda worrying could this be the reason If so how the old Power Supply Wont Power up - Gigabyte ga-ma790fx & AMD Phenom 9850 PSU boots up I just want to have the fracking thing working with the right PSU nbsp

A:Power Supply Wont Power up - Gigabyte ga-ma790fx & AMD Phenom 9850

if I read the specifications right on your mobo... it implies that it has the 4 pin PCI-e input(power) but it also has the 8pin ATX power conector. (it may be simply removing a cap that is actually right next to the 4 pin connector, thus making it an 8 pin connector (thats how it was on my mobo)

Try using the 8pin power with your new PSU, see if that works.
Relevancy 85.14%

I have a Dell 8600 about two years old. When I plug in the AC adapter, it intermittently fades to the battery as though the plug was pulled out (its not) and of course the screen fades in an out when every time it swithces--it does it every 30 to 60 seconds or so. I switched to a different AC adapter (I have a Dell 600M with the same AC adapter)-same thing so I know it is something internally. Any ideas?

A:Dell Laptop Power Supply Fading In and Out--power jack is bad or loose?
Relevancy 85.14%

I picked up this Alienware 5700 off ebay to hopefully refurbish for my son but I'm new at this and still learning and so this thing has me baffled. The laptop is in pristine condition but shows no signs of life. When I plug in the power supply the green light on the power supply goes from solid green to blinking rapidly to the point you can barely see it. To me that would mean a short somewhere right ? If so where ? Has anyone else ever had experience with something like this ? I just don't want to go buying a new battery for a laptop that maybe fried already. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A:No power, no lights but green light on power supply blinks rapidly

Remove the laptops battery and try the AC power only. If the green light does the same, it still could only be a bad AC adapter, or at worst, a shorted laptop motherboard
Relevancy 85.14%

I m interested in the Toshiba G laptop but have heard that you can t use it on airplane seat power It comes with a W AC power supply Vx A but I ve been told that most airlines limit seat power to - W max Lind sells a V car adaptor for the G but specifically won t include an airline plug for this reason which I can get independently of course I ve read some interesting electrical discussions on this board Can ya ll comment on the following or provide any general advice about power consumption Given that the voltage of the laptop and airline seat power pretty much match up - V if the amp draw on the laptop exceeds what the airline power supply can deliver what will happen Will it damage the laptop to feed it insufficient current Will it shut down Supply, Power Airline 120W limitations Toshiba Power G25-AV513, the laptop altogether Merely dim the screen If I remove the laptop battery which requires power to charge it how much will that reduce the power Toshiba G25-AV513, 120W Power Supply, Airline Power limitations need of the laptop I m not sure how to work the Toshiba G25-AV513, 120W Power Supply, Airline Power limitations math but the spec sheet states the battery supplies mAh at A output Does it require the same to charge it Most importantly on my hour transpacific flights will the DVD player work with that ultrabrite screen at the low airline power supply A nice feature of the laptop is that you can watch DVDs without powering up the Windows operating system it has a small linux OS for the DVD player Granted the DVD drive and screen are probably of the most power hungry devices Has anyone used a G or a similar W laptop on a plane The ToshibaDirect support staff were mum on the issue probably for legal reasons Thanks nbsp
Relevancy 85.14%

Yesterday in my house,electric fuse was switched to turn on cooker in my kitchen. During this power delivery was stopped for 4-5 second only.
When power back on then pc automatically turns on and just before bios show me :"?Power supply surges detected during the previous power on ASUS anti-surge was triggered to protect system from unstable supply unit.
Press F1 to continue.? And then pc booted fine to Windows.

Is this normal ? Did it damage something? Why i get that message is this normal?

6700K stock
Asus Z170-P
Corsair 750 RM
Gtx 1080
SSD 1x
Relevancy 84.71%

Hello guys.  Can anyone help me understand the power supply on the HP Envy Phoenix 860-019?  The PCIE connector 6 pin connected to the GTX 960 has black and white wires.  Shouldn't there be yellow and black wires?  Yellow is usually 12 volt and black wires ground.  Is the 6 pin connected to my GTX 960  supplying a standard 75 watts of power or something else?  I want to install a GTX 1070 but the 6 pin wire colors are not the industry standard color scheme.  Also there is a 2 pin power connector with a white and black wire.  Usually a 6 pin and a 2 pin can be used together to connect into a 8 pin socket on a GTX 1070.  Will my connectors supply the needed power and connect properly because the color scheme on the wires make no sense. Thank you
Relevancy 84.71%

It's been a while since I built a system from scratch and have a... errr... simple question

gfx: Sapphire HD3850 512MB Ultimate (passive)

MB: MSI P35 Neo2 FIR

PSU: Seasonic M12II 500W

The motherboard has a power connector for the graphic card next to the slot.

Is there any reason I should connect the power for the card to the power connector on the board instead of directly to the power supply?

A:Graphic card power to power supply or connector on motherboard?

First time I have ever seen that feature. I like it. I'm thinking that is a neat/easy way to partially eliminate cable clutter from the PSU. Give it a shot, you can always revert to PSU cable if you wish.
Relevancy 84.71%

Sorry I don't know the proper terms, but basically the pin inside the jack where the power cord gets plugged into on my laptop was bent so that it's really hard for me to plug in my power cord and have it stay in place. My warranty with best buy has expired, so I need to figure out how to solve this problem on my own. I can't just leave it like this because the cord comes out really easily and I can't continue to work with such a tenuous setup. Anyway, is this just a matter of replacing the entire unit inside my laptop? I know you probably need more information, but I'm not sure what to provide, so please ask any questions. The laptop is a Toshia M-45, about 3-4 years old. Thanks in advance

A:Bent power supply pin - Hard to plug in power cord

umm.. bend it back so it's closer to normal? That's all I can say about it. usually works for me.
Relevancy 84.71%

I have a Sony VGC-RB42G computer. I recently moved my computer, cleaned off all the dust, and when I plugged everything back in, it won't power up. The light on the power supply blinks green, inside the motherboard also has a green light that blinks as well. It has a ticking sound too, but I am not sure if it is coming from the power supply or the motherboard. Any idea what could be wrong.

FYI, I have already unplugged everything from the power supply, pulled out the ram, checked the battery, and put everything back together and still no change. One thing I thought was strange was after I unplugged everything, I pulled the power into the power supply again and this time the green light came on but did not blink. It stayed solid.

A:No Power, Blinking green light on power supply and motherboard

Sounds like a Power Supply problem.
Relevancy 84.71%

Hi, I just bought an HP pavilion e9300 a few week ago. And I am going to upgrade the power supply so that I can get a new graphic card--ATI 4870 which requires at least 500 watt power supply. My current computer is shipped with a 350 watt power supply. I will probably get a 650 watt considering the 70% effeciency of power supply.
However, when I talked to an HP technician, he insisted that I could go for a power supply with no more 450 watt. Because the system I just got has a motherboard which has a max power limit 450 watt. He said if I go beyond that, the motherboard will burn out.
So what shall I do? I really want to get ATI 4870 work well on my computer.
Thx very much.

A:Does power supply with higher power rating really burn motherboard?

The long answer is "No".
Just be sure of the dimensions of the power supply before you order a replacement, as HP uses some pretty strange sizes sometimes, and you want the new one to fit with room to spare.
Relevancy 84.28%

Hi forum and pc gurus My problem is specified down to my PSU at least I think so W Logisys PSU - maybe the quality has something to do with it I paid for it from NEW EGG I have A Gigabyte GA- P-DS Motherboard a Intel Core DUO Conroe GHz processor with heatsink and get I HELL! POWER FROM PC built HELP! custom power to on! cannot SUPPLY my Fan Sapphire ATI X Pro GIGS of WINTEC DDR PC RAM SATA Maxtor GIG HD inch SATA Gig HD and two DVD Burner Optical Drives both IDE I have it hooked up like this two Optical Drives connected to IDE connector cable which POWER SUPPLY FROM HELL! I cannot get my custom built PC to power on! HELP! is hooked into the IDE input on the motherboard both are set to slave Two CD outs connected one to each Optical Drives to one CD input on the motherboard Both HD s are connected to SATA inputs on the motherboard one is set for master one is set for slave I heard that it did not matter but wanted to state that anyway then my ATI RADEON X is hooked directly into my only PCI Xpress slot The power connectors are then all hooked into their respective inputs on the drives and Video Card ANd last but not least all the Power button and LED connectors are hooked into their input on the motherboard wich I set up exactly as the motherboard diagrams and directions directed I turned the switch on the PSU to on and I only got a faint mouse like squeek then nothing not even the fan So I figured it was DOA so I had newegg send me another I got it today installed it hooked all the power connectors to the hardware then popped the switch to on nothing again and the same little squeeky mouse like noise I have no idea what went wrong and this is my first custom built computer for me so any help would be great In relation I did not wear a ESD protective wristband but I did constantly touch metal to keep myself grounded but I couldnt rule out ESD to the motherboard I hope not but it is a possibility AND what is the possibility that both PSUs were DOA and what is the possibility that W is not enough to power my entire system THANKS GUYS FOR ANY HELP IN ADVANCE Oh and yeah I have it set to V nbsp

A:POWER SUPPLY FROM HELL! I cannot get my custom built PC to power on! HELP!
Relevancy 84.28%

Working on a dell dimension 2400,think may have bad power supply.Anybody know if that model uses a proprietary PSU? or will a regular industry standard one work?

A:Dell Power Dimension 2400 power supply

Should be a standard ATX PS.
Relevancy 84.28%

I shut down my Pavilion Elite for 1 week while away and now it will not turn on. The power supply light is on, I replaced the CMOS battery and the power switch is ok.

A:Pavilion elite power supply light on, won't power up

As you did not mention any message or display on the screen, I would use this tutorial for a step by step diagnostic.  It also helps to remove the side panel, and visually watch the CPU and rear case fan movement(s).  As you press the power button, pay attention to the fans. Also does the Power Supply LED stay ON? Or did it go OUT when you pressed the power button?
Relevancy 84.28% we finally got my girlfriends new PC up and running. The problem im having...or more of a concern really. Is when you flip off the power supply, and then flip it back on, the PC gets a short burst of power. IE the lights and fans all come on for a second or two. Then you can press the power button and turn it back on.

Any ideas guys?

Relevancy 84.28%

Ok so it's time again for me to pick a new power supply however I'm in need of some help determining the appropriate wattage for my hardware setup AMD Phenom II X nm AM GSkill Ripjaw X GB Dual-Channel DDR MHz - - - new a Consumption-Picking Supply Hardware Power Power Corsair TX w I dont think its the V ASUS M A AM r here are the voltages listed on speccy if they are of any use V V V V CPU CORE V VIN V VIN V V V VIN Hardware Power Consumption-Picking a new Power Supply V VIN V VIN V ASUS ATI Radeon HD x in Crossfire w ea GB Patriot Pyro SE SSD GB OCZ OCZ-ONYX SSD LG HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH NS ATA I have terrible luck with random bsod's and power supplies pooping on me I want to pick one this time that will last me Also I have my power running through a Monster Power HT I live in a new apartment so the wiring should be ok I've dusted out all Hardware Power Consumption-Picking a new Power Supply of the components inside the case double checked my connections all that jazz I've got a cooler over my memory I am still using my stock cpu cooler but thats changing soon I get crashes idle too Any help I could recieve I would appreciate thanks Andrew

A:Hardware Power Consumption-Picking a new Power Supply

You have pretty much the same problem as me (getting BSOD's randomly). For me it's bulging capacitors on motherboard. You should take a closer look for capacitors on your motherboard. Dead capacitors look something like that:
Relevancy 82.56%

Hello everyone - I have just assembled a new build It will not power up I need a suggestion to figure out if the problem is the case or the motherboard This is a mini-itx build power-up: power New or Build MB? no supply case's The case is New Build no power-up: case's power supply or MB? Linkworld LC - B This case comes with a volt watt external laptop-style power supply that plugs into the rear of the case just like New Build no power-up: case's power supply or MB? a laptop power supply plugs into a laptop - a barrel connector Inside this power connection connects to a power supply component that is not like a regular ATX power supply but is on a printed-circuit board New Build no power-up: case's power supply or MB? mounted on the case This has several capacitors and other stuff From that comes the -pin and -pin power supply lines for the motherboard I assume the -volt power supply for this external power supply unit is right since it came with the case It was watt The processor is an IBM t with TDP of watts Lower-powered CPUs can be put in a small so I assumed the power supply might be under-powered I ordered a -watt volt power supply with the right size barrel - and same polarity pos inside The MB is an ASRock H MV-ITX It is mini-itx form factor Still same problem Everything is connected correctly When I press the power-on button an external CD drive I have plugged-in spins up for a while But no power light comes on in the front of the case there are no POST beeps the fan for the CPU does not spin up No other signs of life So power is getting into the MB - the external CD drive is plugged into a USB socket in the rear panel of the MB After trying a watt and watt power supply I believe the problem cannot be the power supply cord Can it be that I have too little load I don t think so I plugged in another mm fan and an ol-fashion floppy drive just the power connection to add more load - same thing no power-up no POST nothing but the CD drive will spin up when I open-then-close it yet again So here is the help I need what else can I try -assuming the MB and case are fine is it more likely the case power supply is bad or the MB --Thanks nbsp

A:New Build no power-up: case's power supply or MB?

Well, I figured out the problem.
I am planning to re-do the older mini-itx system I have; it has gotten riddled with Trojan software for kids downloading games; it basically has been de-commissioned already.

So, I took the pico-psu power supply from that older computer, and hooked it up to the one I am making. Everything went perfectly.

So, I un-did that, removed the MB from case, disconnected the barrel-power connection from the case, unscrewed and removed the power supply that had been mounted in the case, put the pico-psu power supply back in place (I had to drill the hole for the barrel-connection out to be a little bigger since the pico-psu internal/external connection is threaded and held in place by nut with lock washer), and routed wires to be clear of cpu fan, screwed MB to stand-offs, and closed it all up.

now, everything is great. I like this linkworld case, but the power supply is worthless. I may try to get a few dollars back from the ebay vendor, to make me happy with a case that is less than what I should have gotten, but is working for me; I don't want to wait on returns, etc.
Relevancy 82.56%

Hi All Happy New Year to all members and technical assistants I have a little issue in which I require some help and guidance I have a PIII MHZ replaced power Pc supply after wont power on MB Pc wont power on after power supply replaced memory with a ASUS MB- Recently it died on me and assumed that the reason Pc wont power on after power supply replaced I could not get to power it up is due to my power supply I went out and spent the money and bought a brand new power supply from a computer retailor I saw him remove it from a brand new case I Pc wont power on after power supply replaced installed the power supply trying to power it up I can see the fan rotate a little bit but not enough to power on Changed socket and it power on It booted up but after sec it shut itself off and now I cannot power it back on until min later when I went and change power socket once more This time the power did not stay up very long As soon it powered up no more than min later while it was loading windows Xp it shut itself off nad now again can t power it back on I have a power extention and power bar in which I used and both shuts the computer off Anything else plugged to it doesn t seem to do any affect This is the second new power supply I m trying What else can it be I have not tried to place the computer in a different room on a different plug yet I will try that tonight but in the meantime what else can I try Thanks for your help and listening Cheers nbsp

Relevancy 82.56%

Hi everybody I tried to search on google about this but it s not really help and it never happen to me before so I post here My PC was running normally for a long time just couple weeks ago I sent supply or button problem? power Power my faulty video card xfx nvidia ultra to get warranty service and they sent me back another The new one works fine but Power supply or power button problem? a week later I tried to turn on my computer and there s no power at all No lights on Power supply or power button problem? no fan running just no sign of power So I check inside if there s any wire from the PSU is unplugged but everything looks good nothing seems wrong I m sure the power from the wall is good and the power switch on the back is on So I tried to check the wired again push the power cable to the mother harder and press the button it worked But that doesnt solve the problem if I put something heavy near the PC or the desk is vibrating a little bit the power turns off I press the power button again it would not turn on until I open the case and press the power cable to the motherboard harder it s on I then close the side panel it s off no power This is really annoyed me I dont know what else to do What caused this problem The power supply or the power button Can somebody help me My system specs ECS G T-M mobo Intel E Duo x GB RAM x SATA HD nVidia ultra video card ULTRA s watt PSU nbsp

Relevancy 82.56%

was watching dvd and pc cut out completely... high pitch beeping comming from my power supply on hp 110 desktop... when i unplug from tower beeping stops .. plug it back in and it resumes.  No power, no flashing leds ... just constant beeping... no pattern ... just beeps continuously.

A:constant beep from power supply... no power to pc at all.

let me be clear.... beeping not coming from tower.... it comes from the plug in power supply... the square box part of it.
Relevancy 82.56%

So I hooked my pc up after I took it w/ me to work becuase I though I was going to a lan tonight. But when I came home and plugged it back. I noticed the power supply box light was blinking. And it wont turn on. No power or what so ever. I need help BADLY

A:Power Supply Light Blinking. No Power :(!

Have you opened case to make sure all connections are secure? Something may have come loose while you were transporting it. Give us more info about your computer (e.g. make and model, cpu, ram, name of psu, etc.)
Relevancy 82.56%

I have a server that I would like HD Power Supply Question Power Consumption & to upgrade to TB Hitachi HD s They claim max startup current of A and idling down in the A range The platform will be a -series X with a Core Duo Graphics card is small does not even require aux power connector Not needed to just supply the KVM with x No other signficiant sources of V drain exist other than the MB CPU a slim CD-Drive for installs a slim floppy and one additional GB Power Supply Question & HD Power Consumption SSD startup drive W when active I am looking at an W Corsair I ve heard these are quality supplies and I don t want Power Supply Question & HD Power Consumption multiple rails since no one really knows what sort of Voodoo goes on as to how they divide multiple rails up And I don t want to get into that I will be using a single-rail V PS I can add a second if I need to but I d rather not Do you think this will be sufficient for handling Hitachi hard drives quot Green quot drives are a non-starter since they will drive my Raid controller and then me off the deep end with TLER issues I do have staggered spin-up control of the drives with the controller Thanks for any help nbsp

A:Power Supply Question & HD Power Consumption

Power Supply Question & HD Power Consumption, Pt. 2 - Laptop vs. 3.5"

My second question is this - I have a BTV server that needs to be on at all times during the season to record shows during day and evening.

Suffice it to say that you CANNOT reliably put one of the critters into sleep/hibernate mode and expect it to wake up and reliably record a show. It just won't happen.

Now, this is one case where I can use "Green" 3.5" drives, but I am also considering banking 500GB 7200RPM or even 5400RPM laptop drives. These will all be on a raid controller, but since they will be in pass-thru mode or RAID 0 mode the controller won't freak over TLER like it would with RAID 5/6 and mark the drives bad. The controller also has more than adequate cache to handle a 5400RPM spindle as OTA HDTV generates little more than 2.5MB per second per channel. Even 4 channels at once is 10MB/s and that should not tap the ability of a 3Ware controller with cache on 5400 RPM RAID 0 or even pass-thru drives.

My question is this - 2 500GB laptop drives burn much less startup and idle current than a single 1TB 3.5" drive. Has anyone tried running multiple laptop drives on a RAID controller, and what sort of luck have you had? What sort of sustained throuput can you obtain?

Electricity is a huge factor here, at 12 cents per KWh. I can recover the marginal cost of 2 500GB laptop drives vs. 1 1TB 3.5 drive.

Case construction and drive cages are not the issue here.
Relevancy 82.56%

My power supply died a few days ago and I have replaced it. My PC will now boot but will not send a signal (turn on) the monitor. Everything on the PC seems to work but it just will not turn on signal to the monitor. I have tried two different monitors with the same result.

Relevancy 82.56%

Finally broke down and started building a new system - I m too old to game this all started out as a home video project Anyway - gathered all my components now I m working to assemble them The case power plug. fan power New for supply, no schematic, looking came with New power supply, no schematic, looking for power fan plug. an Okia Model -ATX power supply But no wiring schematic I m trying to identify the power supply fan plug - what New power supply, no schematic, looking for power fan plug. seems to be it doesn t at all match the connector on the board And I ve got that positively identified by the board manual The board has a small male pin connection The only thing I can find that might be the fan connector coming from the supply is a small pin plug at the end of of the New power supply, no schematic, looking for power fan plug. strings of drive power harnesses Nothing tucked up behind the supply case or anything Is that likely to be it Or would that be for a floppy or something I tried to Google for a wiring schematic but could find nothing In fact nothing much at all on this brand of supply - just a couple places that sell them Please don t tell me I got an el cheapo that isn t worth having At the risk of getting ahead of myself in case I need to adapt something like that to the different style male connector on the board in this case or something else I may find as i progress is there some type of source for adapters or what would I do Bear with me this probly won t be the last question I ll dream up - just getting started While I m at it - the board manual talks about a connector for a power supply that senses board temps - that s another reason I d like to find a schematic or some sort of instructions for the power supply OH The connectors for the fans in the case don t match the connector on the board either The board has another small male pin connector for the case fan s but these have a larger bigger pin pin connector Again - I suppose it s adapter time Guess I ll need that source Thanks for helping an quot old quot computer student still and probly always in a definite learning curve nbsp

A:New power supply, no schematic, looking for power fan plug.

There are basically two voltages available to you: 5V and 12V. Doesn't really matter where you get it from - some pin on the mobo or some wire from the PSU.

From the PSU the yellow wires are 12V and red ones 5V, black is ground. The fan voltages should be written on the fan itself, the black fan wire is ground, red may be 12V or 5V depending on the fan voltage.

Fan headers on the motherboard should be labelled so, check with a voltmeter what pin gives out what.
Relevancy 82.56%

I have a generic MB (P-120 CPU ) which I just switched to a different case and power supply. It has an extra "six pin power type connection" in the middle of the board. Only one supply that I have matchs this and the wires are three green and three black. What is the funtion of this connector, it looks from the wire colors to be some form of switch.

Its a case of not wanting to swap out the power suppy from my other unit unless necessary. I have 4 other supplies and none have the extra wire, which is listed as P10.

Many thanks in advance.

A:extra power leads on power supply?

Sounds like typical extra +5V lead and can be used for any number of things...(riser cards,backplanes,to drive extra slots, etc.)
Without knowing the specs. on your motherboard this question is impossible to answer...Post Mobo identification (make/model) or obtain FCC ID and post that. Perhaps we can find a more definitive answer for you...BOL
Relevancy 82.56%

Hey, got quite a problem with my laptop.. It's a Medion Erazer X7813, worked well for ~2 years.
I was doing a graphics card benchmark yesterday and it stopped in the middle of it(monitored temperature, it was at ~80 degrees Celsius when it turned off). No bluescreen or anything just off and I couldnt restart after that(no fans nothing). I thought it might be the power supply, so I tested it, but it was doing 19v when not plugged in, but when I plugged it in and unplugged it again it was at 1v. When testing I unintentionally shorted the power supply and it showed 1v after that just as it did after plugging it in, is it shorting inside the laptop? Could it be the battery or something more serious like the MB? Any ideas are welcome!

A:Laptop gets no power, power supply seems to be working

The charging circuits on the laptop motherboard may be shorted...
Relevancy 82.56%

Ok so lately I have been getting a BSOD at very random times and it looks like a Diver Power State failure. SO all of my friends and every website I go to makes it seem like I need to get a PSU. Right now I have a Quad Core and a 8800GT and 375W PSU. So my friend told me to get a new 700W PSU.

So, if the only fix is to get a new PSU? I tried to rollback my GPU driver but it didn't help.

So any ideas?

A:Driver Power Failure = New Power Supply?

You're greatly risking the health of your whole computer while running with such underpowered power supply. Do yourself a favour and get a quality PSU. That's the cheapest one that is enough and of good quality that I could find with a quickish search.
Relevancy 82.56%

I want to use a spare power supply outside of the computer, does anyone know how to get it working since it's not connected to a motherboard?

A:Using power supply outside of computer

Hello there, Here:

Info: Can I use two Power supplies with one computer?? - -

Although i would NOT recommend it.. i'd rather have one GOOD PSU than 2 PSUs and probably busting up a 2k$ PC
Relevancy 82.56%

Can anyone tell me if typical modern motherboards on-off pins to the front panel are normaly open switchs with the turn on action being closed and cold turn off hold closed for a minute or so. Of course the cold turn off should never be done if it can be avouded.

A:Computer power supply

Yes, the pins are for normally open switches.
Relevancy 82.56%

Hi there - I have a HP Desktop PC and it will no longer turn on. My guess is that the power supply is dead. I don't need to keep the computer, but I would like to get the files off of it. Is there a way to do that without fixing the power supply? -Su Bailey

A:Computer Power Supply

you should be able to put the harddrive into another PC as a slave and copy the files
putthe harddrive into a USB external Box and copy them
Relevancy 82.56%

I consider an Apevia Power Supply for my new computer and wonder if this is a
good choice.

A:Power Supply For New Computer

I don't know whether that brand is good, bad or average; but, I use Antec.
Relevancy 82.56%

I am building a new computer. Here is the Specs of what is goig in it: AMD Phenom Quad Core Processor 9600 CPU, GIGABYTE GA-MA770-DS3 Motherboard, Antec Nine Hundred Case (with 4 big fans in it), 2-2 Gig Supertalent ddr2 800 CL5 ram with an MSI 8800GT OC video card with 3 SATA HD's (all Western Digital 2-250 gig and 1-160 gig) and a Samsung SATA DVD Burner on windows Ultimate 64 bit.

My question is what power supply should i use? I have build computers before but this is topping my knowledge. Would a standard 400 Watt Hi-pro (model number HP-E4009F5W) be sufficent since i am not doing SLI?

All comments would be appreciated.

This power supply would be temp for about 2 months till i get Antec NeoHE 650 High Efficiency 650W Power Supply.

A:Power Supply for new computer

google PSU calculator. Add 30% to the results for cushion. Then buy a QUALITY PSU. If you buy cheap, you run the risk of destroying your nice, new system.
Relevancy 81.7%

Something wierd going on I can shut my power off! turn supply cannot I computer's my windows XP down like normal and I get all the I cannot turn my computer's power supply off! way thru the shut down screens the LCD screen goes blank the keyboard lights go off but the power supply in the computer remains on powering the fans and lighting up my front panel fan control Assy In order to turn off the power supply I need to switch the switch on the back of the computer power supply switch Then to turn if back on I need to turn on my Power Supply switch and open the case and lightly touch push the area near the CMOS battery and without even touching the front panel power switch the computer comes to life and I am able to load Windows XP and go about my bidness as normal I SUSPECT this was caused from a lightning storm a few nights ago it wasn t near me but it caused the power to go out and come back on rapidly like three times What gives Power supply Motherboard nbsp

Relevancy 81.7%

Long story short I live in Kuwait currently and I had to build myself a new my power Is electrocuting computer? my supply desktop out here Parts are not always quot high quality quot so things occasionally go quot awry quot And I m Is my power supply electrocuting my computer? a wee bit new to the PC building world having been Is my power supply electrocuting my computer? a Mac guy until March of last year I have two problems currently vexing me but the first one is easy so I ll start with it I recently had to buy a new motherboard and it had some funky power inputs that required a new power supply Unfortunately the only one I could find was watts which is probably massive overkill for one hard drive a burner a Ghz P and a nVidia Ultra However even though the power supply is properly installed had a guy at the shop do it and I double-checked the instructions at home I ll be damned if it s not mildly electrifying my computer It s not quot complete the circuit and fry an egg quot bad - it s more like quot Carnival test your endurance joy buzzer quot at low setting bad It s not enough to transfer to the outer case the black outer shell but it carries throughout the entire inner metal structure and any screws attached I worry that this is going to cause long-term damage to my computer for obvious reasons Strangely a watt power supply from a different manufacturer I had earlier did the exact same thing which is why I m wondering if it s par for the course for more powerful power supplies The power supply is a Thermaltake Purepower watt Thanks in advance nbsp

Relevancy 81.7%

I'm going to take an old computer and use it to store music files and pictures so everyone on my network can access them. Right now all the files are scattered on four different machines which are never on at the same time, gets annoying. Can anyone recomend a power supply that'll operate good/cool under the condition of staying on pretty much 24/7?

Relevancy 81.7%

I want use my computer power supply unit (12V) to my laptop computer. I am having a old computer with good power supply unit. If I removed the power supply unit from the old computer it is not working. What is power good in computer power supply? How can I start the power supply unit without connecting connector in to the old computer? Please write me in details. Thanks in advance for any assistance

A:I want use my computer power supply unit (12V)

Why would you want to use a desktop power supply to attempt to power a laptop? Completely different applications and even though you would be using 12v DC you could still damage the laptop...or worse. The power good line is for the power supply to receive a signal from the motherboard that it is getting all the power signals.
Relevancy 81.7%

Hello, im currently working on building a new computer, the PSU I got unfortunantly only has 1x6pin PCI wire but the graphics card I wish to get require's 2. I was wondering if any one could help me with this situation. any advice would be nice.
Computers specs listed below.

Kingston 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 DIMM Memory x2
650 WATT Power supply Alpine Black 650 WATT Silent Quiet PC ATX PSU
CiT Mars Midi Tower Part-Mesh Computer Gaming Case with 2 x Red LED Fans & LED Display
ASRock B75 Pro3-M Motherboard (Socket 1155, Intel B75, DDR3, S-ATA 600, Micro ATX
Intel Sandybridge i5-2400 Core i5 Quad-Core Processor (3.10GHz, 6MB Cache, Socket 1155
Using a HD and CD-D from previous computer.

Many thanks

A:Computer power supply question

That's an absolutely horrendous PSU, return it and get a decent Antec/Corsair/XFX unit. It should tell you something that a PSU apparently rated at 650W only has one PCI-E connector, I.e. it's bad quality and won't output anywhere near 650W.

Out of interest what GPU do you have?
Relevancy 81.7%

Hi I need to know in short how the computer power supply works My concern is based on the s Ac powered wall clocks would vary in their accuracy due to the cycle rate from the power company not being dead on the cycle scheme They usualy were a bit higher power question supply computer I understand all that Today the Hz cycle rate from the power company is still a bit high fast With that in mind I m computer power supply question getting to the question computer power supply question With the power supplys used today in computers is it possible due to the AC input cycle flucuation for the computer clock to be running slightly fast It was argued that the comp clock shouldn t be running fast A search on the internet will show that this is a common occurance I just figured that it may be from the AC input source that could cause the timing to flucuate and hence cause the system clock to also flucuate While not harming anything within the comp with it s daily functions it could however have an effect on the system clock and it s accuracy I ask this due to me getting into the field of watch collecting Most movements being Swiss mechanical In checking for accuracy of the movement I ve discovered that I d have to use some sort of Atomic Time refferance via the internet because my system clock consistantly runs about secs fast daily hrs This is where the argument came in It seems some judge their movement accuracy via their system clock I mentioned that that wasn t a good idea because the system clock may not be accurate This inturn opened a whole can of worms It was argued that the system clock should be accurate because of the fine tuned input from the power supply shouldn t allow any flucuation from the AC power source Now you ve got the idea of the question and why Thanks for any help in advance nbsp

A:computer power supply question

The PC clock is battery powerd so will not be affected by the wall outlets AC (Howd you think it keeps the time when you turn it off?) lol
Relevancy 81.7%

Hello I just wanted to see if someone could confirm what I think is wrong with a computer I had boot power with even will supply new not up Computer computer shipped to me from a friend When the computer arrived the CPU fan was dangling from its wire At first I did not notice any other damage I tried to power it up after I reseated all the Computer will not boot up even with new power supply components The computer acted like it would start and then it immediately shut down and tried the power button again it was dead Instantly I though power supply I had a brand new one in my spare stuff that fit the requirements of the motherboard After installing new power supply the same thing happened It will try the first time you hit power the fans will run etc but then it shuts down straight away I stripped the unit down to the bare essentials just one memory chip CPU and CPU fan The unit will not power up I look at the motherboard closer I do not see any burnt spots but I did notice one of the capacitors slightly bent over This leads me to believe that the mother board maybe damaged and the cause for failure If someone else with more experience than me would like to confirm that or give me another direction to go I would appreciate it Thank You Sleep better www sleepcomfortusa com nbsp

Relevancy 81.7%

Which one would you buy for your gaming computer?

Relevancy 81.7%

Well my motherboard on my old computer Building computer/Power Supply? new a died and it was old enough it wasn t worth replacing The local CompUSA here is going out of business and they had some pretty great deals I got two hard drive cages for the drives from my old system and this motherboard for a little over a Building a new computer/Power Supply? hundred dollars Now I need the rest of the parts I looked to New Egg and I found a processor I liked some RAM and SATA drives I want I m thinking four sticks of that ram two orders and three of the SATA drives set for RAID I also have a Pioneer DVD RW drive from the old system and a floppy drive I ll want to put in this and when I have the money I ll be adding a new DX graphics card to this box as well The part I m waffling over the most is the Power Supply though and the market seems to have changed quite a bit since the last time I bought one with lots and lots of small companies making crappy power supplies some start up companies making really good power supplies and some of the companies I ve trusted in the past making power supplies that only work with Intel based boards without mentioning it upfront I m looking at you Antec New Egg has a deal with the case I want to buy that lasts until the end of the weekend where if you buy this power supply along with it they knock off from the total Not the best deal ever but I ve liked CoolerMaster kit in the past and it seems to have pretty decent reviews Unfortunately there s only six reviews of it and I ve never bought a power supply from Cooler Master before Basically I am looking for a power supply that is hearty and reliable puts out enough juice to power the gear I ve specified has all the right connectors and will actually work with my components electrical plugs and costs about tops nbsp

A:Building a new computer/Power Supply?

I have no experience with the CoolerMaster power supply noted. However, I have built computers with CoolerMaster cases which come with CoolerMaster power supplies.

Antec, IMO, makes excellent power supplies.

I have built several computers using the Asus M2N-E.

NE has an Antec True Power on sale, this weekend. power&Page=1
I am not an overclocker.

Best of success.

Relevancy 81.7%

Computer ACER Notebook Year System XP Computer has traveled the world not been treated either too good nor too bad mostly traveled in a notebook carrier occasionally out Power Computer shorts Supply in a backpack the battery is long worn out computer needs to be plugged in the problem is definitely not the power supply brick There is some kind of short in the system so that even if the Computer shorts out Power Supply computer is turned off attempting to plug in the power supply results in it turning itself off in self defense If one unplugs the supply from the wall outlet it recovers itself it can be used to power my other notebook The computer didn t emit any smoke or burning smells but obviously doesn t want to turn on at present I ve already partly disassembled the unit and didn t find anything looking bad but I can t get right at the plug in point yet I am not in danger of losing data it s just that the notebook was a nice little performer and handy at internet cafes Any ideas or tests you can think of nbsp

A:Computer shorts out Power Supply

it looks like either you have a short at the power input of your notebook or may be the motherboard itself.

try using a different power adapter of the similar power specification.
Relevancy 81.7%

Hi everyone...I just received my new computer. Unfortunately I think they forgot to put in the power cable. So my question is, can I just use the same cable from another PC? Or are the cables specific to the power supplies? Thanks in advance.

A:Can I use same power supply cable on another computer?

I have been using the same power cable for about the last 4-5 computers.

I also really should put a newer one on someday. Use your old one. LOL
Relevancy 81.7%

I turned on my computer today and it decided to not work on me Whenever I pushed the On button the LED on the front panel and the Power supply flickers on and off I had a off! on and Power flickering Supply/Computer feeling it was my Power Power Supply/Computer flickering on and off! Supply because weeks before this happened I ve been having to deal with all sorts of Problems Computer would suddenly lag then reboot but when it reboots the computer gets to the Windows XP splash Page and Power Supply/Computer flickering on and off! I get the BSOD Power Supply/Computer flickering on and off! and it just reboots all over again The only way I could get the damn computer to boot Windows XP was to leave it off for about - minutes I had a feeling it was the Power supply over-heating but I shrugged it off The night before this happened I opened up my computer and cleaned blowed off the dusts inside I put the case back on plugged everything back and never bothered turning it on Now after turning it back on my computer would just keep flickering After unplugging the cord connecting to the PSU my computer would still continue to flicker for about - minutes I decided to take off the PSU thinking THAT was the problem but now I m lost because I plugged in the PSU while it wasn t connected to the computer and it didn t flicker at all but the fan wasn t running My PSU Bestec Model ATX- - Z Input - V A OUTPUT V WMAX V V nbsp

A:Power Supply/Computer flickering on and off!

I know that one time when I was having problems with the power supply, the AC cord was damaged. Also, if you took your computer apart and weren't careful, you might have shocked something and destroyed an essential part.
Relevancy 81.7%

how a bad power supply screws up your computer

a bad power supply seems to mess up a computer totally because i changed mine and it seems to work OK now

and i got no answers from anyone on various sites or shops

i say im right a bad power supply screws up a computer even if it all appears to be working to power all the stuff

Relevancy 81.7%

Well I'm sure you guys have read the whole "last night I turned off my computer, and the next morning my computer won't boot on." I have the same situation and found out that my power supply is the problem when I try powering on my pc with my old pc. Although when my psu is plugged in, a dim green light is on. I researched and found the paperclip test. I tried it and saw that the green light is bright and the fan turns on. So I'm guessing my psu is not fully dead (if that makes sense). What is wrong? Why will it not boot my computer althought an old psu does?

A:Power supply turns on, but not my computer..

anyone? i can't find any solution. also if there is one i do not want to spend money then later finding out. i have to do some summer work and i need help fast!
Relevancy 81.7%

I was working on a slide show using PROShow and the computer froze up. I mean like it was going no where period. I gave it plenty of time to figure itself out but to no avail.
Unfortunately I had to pull the plug to get it to shut down( I know don't say it!) Well that was it. It will not start. it will not do anything it is just dead. I check the electricity and the plug to which the computer was plugged in to is good. The light I use to check it with lit up.

I even tried a different plug different wall....still nothing.

So I am guess the power supply may have gone out.

Need a tutorial on replacing it. Did a google but nothing came up.
puter hater

Relevancy 81.7%

I have a homemade system that just died. It has a Duron 900 that I know had been running hot (175 F). It also has a 375w power supply that also serves as a power strip. I removed the heat sink & fan to do some cleaning (spray air to knock off dust on the MOBO around the CPU). I broke one of the prongs on the socket that holds down the heat sink. A "friend" suggested using super glue to re-attach the heat sink. Now...nothing. The reset button lights up on the power supply, but the fan does not kick on and nothing else functions. Would a dead CPU cause this...power supply...MOBO...or a combination? Thanks for your consideration.

A:dead computer - CPU or power supply?

CPU sounds fried. Superglue? Really? I'd replace both the cpu and the board as you can no longer attach a heatsink to the board unless you have mounting holes and can find one that attaches with mounting holes.
Relevancy 81.7%

This is my computer i would like to upgrade video card to GTX 850 will my comp handle it? How many watts does it have

A:How to find out my computer's POWER SUPPLY?

I'm seeing 350W psu...

Dell XPS 8100
Relevancy 81.7%

I have a working power supply that I pulled from a 10 year old computer and it reads as follows:
L&C Technology Inc Switching Power Supply
Model: LC-250W
Is this power supply worth any money?
How can I find out if it's an ATX power supply?

A:Computer desktop power supply

An AT PSU has two motherboard connectors and a separate power cable with a switch.

Mind you, not being an AT, the PSU can still be any of the proprietary or small form factor PSU standards.

You should look up the ATX pinout and dimensions on the internet and compare with your PSU.

The thing is worth only petty money. It is too weak to power any modern hardware so it could be used only as a spare for an old machine or for a low-power project.
Relevancy 81.7%

I have an ATA100(ATX) power supply in a new P4 computer, but the power doesn't start itself, the board or drives. on 20 pin plug, pin14 supplies voltage to switch. which pin puts the power back to the supply to power it?

A:Power supply not working new computer

Look at the back of the case and on the power supply there is a voltage selection switch. Make sure it's set to 110 for US applications.
Relevancy 81.7%

Hey everyone Okay my problems kind of long and complicated First off my computer had this problem where it wouldn t turn on pressing the power button did nothing So I started turning off my power supply and unplugging it to give it a rest and it started working again when I tried turning it on after unplugging it for a while Now everytime I turn off my computer I need to turn off the power supply and unplug it But now when I m using my computer it freezes a lot Like the whole thing freezes and I have to reset it sometimes it goes a long time without freezing The weird thing is - Freezing Power Supply? keeps Computer it DOES NOT freeze as much when I m playing a video game it DOES freeze a lot Computer keeps Freezing - Power Supply? when I m on msn or IE BUT it also does freeze when I use other things even video games but not as much I don t know what it is I ve tried anti virus but I can neve rcompltete without it rfeezing I have no clue what to do nbsp

A:Computer keeps Freezing - Power Supply?

its either power supply or heat related. you can buy an inexpensive power supply tester for about 20 dollars at different sites... that will tell you if that is the culprit. If that is not it I would say its too much heat as that will cause freezing at intermittent times. You can download temp monitor programs and monitor your southbridge and cpu temps to know if thats your problem.
Relevancy 81.7%

Sorry if this is very similar to other posts I have done my research and I believe my problem is due to a bad power supply but I just want to power freezes due bad Computer supply? to confirm since the one I bought is known for being very reliable I built my first computer about a year and a half ago running Windows Lately my computer has been freezing about once per day with everything remaining on the screen and my mouse locked in place The computer becomes completely unresponsive mouse Computer freezes due to bad power supply? keyboard DVD drive etc until I cut the power and reboot I have also noticed that either a fan or the hard drive spins quite rapidly when this occurs I did not have this problem when I first built the computer and from what I can tell the crashes have been more frequent in the last few months I originally thought it might be my hard drive so I ran chkdsk f and did not find any issues My reliability history does not show any patterns suggesting that software is the issue My event viewer however shows critical errors from Kernel-Power saying that quot The system rebooted without cleanly shutting down first This error could be caused if the system stopped responding crashed or lost power unexpectedly quot Following advice from other posts I checked my voltages and temperatures Here are the results from CPUID Hardware Monitor The most glaring problem is unusual results for the V and - V voltage readings I am not sure what to make of it since my bios shows V for my V reading I also ran power supply CPU GPU tests from OCCT to check my voltages and temperatures These plots show that my idle CPU temp is typically around - C verified in BIOS and when the voltage ramps up for - seconds to about V my CPUs reach - C The test stops if the core temps exceed C The only other possible issue that I can think of is that I may not have applied the paste quite right when mounting the CPUs Could this also cause my problems Here are my computer specs The power supply is supposed to be very good which is why I would be somewhat surprised if that caused the problem Power Supply Newegg com - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU- TX W ATX V EPS V SLI Ready PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i Power Supply Motherboard Newegg com - GIGABYTE GA-P -UD P LGA Intel P ATX Intel Motherboard CPU Newegg com - Intel Core i - Lynnfield GHz LGA W Quad-Core Processor BX I GPU Newegg com - SAPPHIRE L Radeon HD GB -bit GDDR PCI Express x HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card My BIOS voltages and temps Vcore V SSR V V V V V V Current system temp C Current CPU temp C Current CPU fan speed RPM

A:Computer freezes due to bad power supply?

Update - I took a multimeter to the power supply pins as discussed in this post:

Here are the voltage results:
+3.3V +3.39V
+5V +5.15V
+12V +12.18V
-5V Missing because apparently -5V is not used anymore
-12 -12.27 V

All continuity PSU connections were correct except for the orange +3.3V connections. They were reading 30-35 ohms. According to the guide any wires less than 50 ohms are potential problems.

I did not check the motherboard for continuity because I did not want to remove the CPU yet (are there alternative ways to test the motherboard?)
Relevancy 81.7%

I am about to buy a new computer I am really into video making editing and need one that can handle alot of rendering as well as run Adobe After Effects and such cleanly I also want a Blu-ray player So far after building a couple computers from hp com dell com alienware etc I ve found I can get the memory and other features I want cheapest from Dell Here s a list of the one I built Intel Core Quad processor Q MB L GHz Vista Power Question/Computer Buy Supply Ultimate bit quot Full HD Flat panel monitor GB Dual Channel DDR SDRAM at MHz - DIMMs GB Power Supply Question/Computer Buy Serial ATA HD RPM w Databurst cache Blu-ray burner ATI Radeon HD MB supporting HDMI Channel Audio Wireless Keyboard Mouse That will cost right at which is alot less than a comprable Alienware or XPS The only problem I really have with this one is the video card which I looked into replacing but Power Supply Question/Computer Buy this computer only has a W power supply and most video cards that are worth anything need at least W plus i m not even sure if I could buy one that would fit in this computer So should I get this and get another power supply Can that even be done I also looked into building one of my own but i ve never done that before and am not sure how to go about it I looked up a bunch of parts on newegg com but they all looked the same to me and I would be afraid I would buy something that wasn t compatible etc plus some of the motherboards said they couldn t support more than MB and I was wanting MB If anyone knows af an equal computer for less or can tell me how to build one that would be great Sorry for being such a noob but I really don t know alot about computer any help whatsoever would be great Thanks EDIT btw the one That I put on here from Dell is a Studio Slim Not sure if that really matters or not but I figured it may for the power supply if I went that way nbsp

A:Power Supply Question/Computer Buy

Welcome to the TSG Forum.

Did you look at this one ... It comes with a 460W PS ..

$1700 without monitor ... equipped as attached ..
Relevancy 80.84%

This is a problem I had since a few months, but back then it wasn't that irritating. Sometimes when I tried to start my computer it would start up mechanically, so to say; all the fans were working and so were the HDDs, but not the BIOS. Nothing would happen, and the monitor was ever idle. A simple cold reboot usually solved the problem.

Now, like I mentioned, the problem got serious. The computer won't start at all, i.e. nor the fans, nor the monitor, nor the HDDs will ever start up. It just keeps restarting itself every second without any enhancement. I also found a solution for this problem by setting the power supply to 0, and then back to 1 after a few hours(!). Restarting after just a few minutes doesn't work. What's the matter? Have you ever encountered such a problem?

Relevancy 80.84%

So i recently built a PC with the following Intel i CPUP Z -V LKRadeon Sapphire HD Cooler Master Power Plus w Power Supply And i had plugged it into the wall and had booted it up for about the th time and then it shut off ASUS Bios pops up with the quot ASUS Anti-Surge Protection quot I read now won't Supply and Power SOS up, Surge boot computer into it and was slightly concerned but i turned my computer back on and it triggered again Foolishly i thought that it would just be dependent on the outlet and I kept trying to boot it up at different outlets I tried about or times until now it just wouldn't boot up again I've unplugged it and tried a couple of basic things to see if maybe it would turn on Have I busted the PSU Is there a chance that some of my other parts have been damaged Help please i worked hard to get this equipment and would legit cry an ocean if it is damaged Thanks in advance lt A las

A:Power Supply Surge and now computer won't boot up, SOS

Your first and biggest mistake was to "keep turning it on and off".....A big newbie mistake!!!!

What you should have done is; when this first happened is, shut it down and do some research on this "Asus Anti Surge Protection" error message. Which I did and come to find out that this Asus software is buggy to say the least.

So now you're at a precipice. My thinking is that you may have done some real irrevocable damage to the mobo/cpu/psu or the entire system. The only way to know for sure is to swap out parts with known good working parts. Start with the PSU first.
Asus Anti-surge is a broken mess
Relevancy 80.84%

Well my dad built a computer supply Building power computer, problem and I helped a little Here are the main components ASPIRE X-Dreamer Blue ATX Mid-Tower Case with Window and W Power Supply ASUS quot A N X-E Deluxe quot nForce Ultra Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU AMD Athlon XP quot Barton quot FSB K Cache GHz Socket A Western Digital GB ATA Hard Drive x Kingston Pin DDR PC- Building computer, power supply problem Sapphire Radeon XT MB DDR -bit x AGP Video Card Lite-On X X Internal EIDE CD-RW Drive Black Lite-On X DVD-ROM Black That s pretty Building computer, power supply problem much all we have installed on there We connected everything and went to test it We turned Building computer, power supply problem on the power switch in the back and the green LED light turned on inside the case I pressed the on putton and the temperature and numbers started showing on the LED panel in the front of the case and it was pretty much working for about a second of two The next second it shuts off We ve tried this - times and its the same We ve come to the conclusion that either the jumpers of connectors are wrong somewhere but I don t think that is it The other thing could be the Power Supply could be broken I went on this power supply calculator and it said it would require a max of watts and we have Anyone have any suggestions nbsp

Relevancy 80.84%

I really don't have much experience with computer hardware, the only thing I've done previously was add two sticks of RAM.

Well, I ordered a graphics card and power supply for Christmas. They just arrived, (1 1/2 weeks late thanks to UPS) so I opened up my computer, removed the previous graphics card and power supply, and put the new ones in. Well, I closed up the case again, and whataya know, the computer doesn't start up. (Absolutely nothing, just sits there like it was unplugged) The funny thing is, theres a small green LED displaying on the mobo when I turn on the power supply, which I figure means it has power, so it should be doing something.

A:Upgraded power supply, computer not booting up

The led on the motherboard only means there is some power supplied to the board. It does NOT mean you power supply is working correctly.

Here is what I would do.
1 Go back and recheck ALL of your connections. Make sure you have installed the 4 or 8 pin aux power connector.
2 If after rechecking all connections and it still does not work, then reinstall your old power supply and see if the system will at least post. This way you can tell if it is the power supply or perhaps you have damaged something while working in the case.

When you removed your old video card, did you uninstall the driver before shutting down and pulling the card?

Here is the proper way to upgrade your video card.
1 Uninstall any software that is used by the old card. This includes driver, any type of control panel, etc.
2 Shutdown and pull the old card.
3 Install new card and any pw connections used by the new card
4 Pw ON the system and cancel any found new hardware wiz
5 Install the latest video driver. Note the one that comes on the support CD can be many months old. Download the latest one from the ati or nvidia site.
Relevancy 80.84%

I had posted last week about my CPU which would power down and turn off then back on for a second or two then off again over and over Now it won t even turn on I took the power supply out and had a geek guy at best buy check it and he said the this supply?) off GOOD for Computer time(power voltage coming off of the power wires for the drives was at or so volts when it should be at When he hotwired it the fan at least came on which was more than I got But he said he s not entirely sure it s the power supply and not the motherboard If the voltage is wrong then i would think for sure it s the supply The other thing is a little green light on the motherboard comes on when it s plugged in but that might still operate with the low voltage I wanted to get a new supply tonight if this is what it is My comp is a Dell Dimension and the power supply that best buy carried looked to be the same size Computer off for GOOD this time(power supply?) with the screw holes in a similar configuration even though this same dude said Dell sometimes needs a specific supply that matches a Dell because of size and layout issues Should I just drop the and get one or could it possibly be something else that is going wrong nbsp

A:Computer off for GOOD this time(power supply?)

The power supply's in the Dimension 4600's was "weak". Here are 2 links from this site that deal with 4600 Power Supply's that you may like to read. If you only have 5v on a 12v rail, you definately need to replace the unit.
Relevancy 80.84%

Hey guys A few months ago i supply maybe? turn on won't properly. Power Computer upgraded my PC by getting another HD had R x and running crossfire I also had Computer won't turn on properly. Power supply maybe? to upgrade my power supply to support both the cards and i managed to find a really good deal on a PSU a Seasonic X-series SS- XM Active PFC F I can't quite remember but Computer won't turn on properly. Power supply maybe? it was around that time that i thought my power button on my case had stopped working when the computer is off although it will still shutdown the computer if it is on I assumed it was because of my motherboard being so small and the second graphics card pushing on where the case power button is plugged in Since then i have just been leaving my computer on But when i do have to turn it on i have to slowly flick the power switch on the PSU on and off which after a few or many tries would turn on the computer Today i finally went to troubleshoot what was wrong so i could buy a bigger motherboard or whatever and found it wasn't the power button on the case Removing the second GPU so the power button can be plugged in properly didn't change anything and the power reset buttons on the actual motherboard also do not work I'm assuming now that it is the power supply but i'm not too sure as i know the motherboard is still getting power when the computer is off the Ethernet port lights up and when the computer is on there are no problems are all I can play very demanding games for hours straight and leave the PC on for over a week without it ever turning off Another thing that might be important is when i put the computer into sleep mode overnight it will at some point during the night turn itself off completely Here are the specs of the PC and if you need any more information just ask http i imgur com mPAC O png
Relevancy 80.84%

I have no indication of any power at all I ve tried a lot of what has been suggested in doomsday thread with no luck I have a new case and W PS New Intel D EPEA mobo and an celeron CPU Reason bought new mobo was it was cheap and supposedly Supply? boot won't Power (Solved) Computer match the CPU CPU was in a machine that was struck (Solved) Computer won't boot Power Supply? by lightning and when it was taken to technican he said old board was dead So in my great wisdom I figured I could setup a fairly cheap computer by just replacing the board I bought a board that matched the CPU but didn t fit the midi case that it needed go into Another highlight to my first built so I had to buy a (Solved) Computer won't boot Power Supply? case which I am also disgusted with because I went cheap and the D n this is so flimsy The E-machines have better quality than (Solved) Computer won't boot Power Supply? the one I got Strike Two So what I have got is a cheap board a cheap case PSU a possible dead CPU or PS that I m trying to revive What I need to know how do I test each component to find out what is the cause of the no boot Is there a easy way of testing PS and CPU I am going to assume that the board is OK Right Educated guess that the CPU got fried also I just don t what to buy another CPU until I know that it is the cause of my problem I can t test it with any of my other systems because the Intels are to old and the newer ones are AMD Thanks for any help Gary PS What is an IR module It appears to be a pin connect that hooks up on the same bar as Power on reset HD LED Power LED It shows to be plugged in in diagram but I have no such a thing and nothing explained in the lit I got nbsp

Relevancy 80.84%

My computer was shut down one day when I came home It wouldn t turn back on and the power supply was dead when I had it checked I replace it with a watt OCZ game stream unit Now the computer comes on when you turn it on but only by using the button on the back The on off switch on the front will not work at all not on not off I have lights inside my computer and they do come on also the fans work But the monitor never comes on There is a green light lit on my cd burner drive and a red light on the front of the tower These lights stay on The computer doesnt beep when you turn the power on either I have an Asus A V-VE motherboard a AMD Athlon fx dual core processor gig of Ram and have windows xp pro as the operating system My system is a home built system of approx yrs of age I don t know what happened originally to cause me all this trouble but would appreciate any help anyone might give I ordered another MOB thinking this might be the problem but haven t received it yet to replace it Thanks again for your won't computer up boot supply new after power installing help nbsp

A:computer won't boot up after installing new power supply

There is a very simple test for the power button on the front of the case. You can switch the wire leads from the reset button. To do this follow these directions. Note before doing the following, do make some note as to how your case leads are connected.
1 Locate the case leads and where they connect to your board.
2 Remove both the reset and pw switch leads
3 Now connect the reset lead to your pw switch pins on the board
4 Press the reset button and see if it turns on normally. If it does, you simply have a failed pw switch on the case. If it does the same thing, then you know it is either the board that has failed OR the pw supply is defective.
Relevancy 80.84%

my computer won't turn on

3 days a go myn power supply of my e machine t 2745 blow out ok
i change it for a brand new power supply but nothing happen, but when i connect the power supply to the mobo a green ligth on the mobo is on i don't know if the problem
with my old power supply could affect any other devvice of my mobo , but check this out power supply brand new and the mobo seems to be just fine please i need somebody to help me out i don't know what to do

A:New power supply, computer still doesn't work

alexander33831 you are replying in this thread, about "How to chose folder in .bat files while install from CD "
Umm nothing to do with your issue

You will need to go to here:
Select the appropriate forum, and then create a NEW thread, just for you.

Do not reply here, just create a new thread. (you know everytime I say this, the person replies here, its happened so many times, I'm wondering what I should say)
Relevancy 80.84%

Hi. This is the story. In the middle of my son using the computer, it just shut down. I came down to the room where it was a minute later, tried flipping the master switch on the surge protector off and on, then pressed to power button on the case. It started up. A few minutes later my son called me again because it had shut down again. The former trick didn't work. Here's what I've tried:

Flipping the I/O switch on the power supply both ways and trying to power up.
Unplugging the power supply from the surge protector and plugging it with another cord directly into the wall outlet. Then flipping that I/O switch again.

Nothing happened. Does this sound like it's the power supply?

A:Computer died!! Is this a power supply problem?

I`m afraid it does sound like the psu has gone bad.

However, the only way to tell for sure, is to try another psu, and hope that`s all it is.

Regards Howard
Relevancy 80.84%

I to due issues seems run Computer slowly supply power to would supply system info but im on my phone for this because my pc can barley run anything atm Probably months after i bought the system a mid range gaming Computer seems to run slowly due to power supply issues pc around Computer seems to run slowly due to power supply issues it started to run slow and i was understandably both worried and annoyed due to its size i had a hunch that i could be to do with the outlet in my room being unable to supply enough power so i moved the whole system out into the lounge room to see if it made a difference It did The computer ran fine in that area of the house and after about i a while i retryed it in my room and it ran fairly well The problem occured every once in a while We have since moved house and the problem has persisted It seems my pc can after a while burn out power outlets tempererorly to the point where it can barley function and consistently crashes and freezes areas of the desktop and programs I was wondering if there are ways to fix this or at least understand it Thanks very much Alex Johansen PS this likely NOT a problem of heat build up inside the tower as i have different fans in my tower and from the outside at least it is ice cold to the touch System info i do know gb of ram gb ssd that houses the OS gb free space Windows legit TB standard harddrive for games movies and stuff Intel core i cpu ghz Graphics card is a fairly powerful nividia card nbsp

Relevancy 80.84%

I ve had this computer for about a year and I ve always had problems I use to get blue screens when problems power - need Computer bigger supply? loading things that use a lot of memory Now the computer will just freeze with blue screen and I have to reboot It doesn t happen every time though For example I ll be playing World of Warcraft which uses a lot of memory I ll minimize and load Computer problems - need bigger power supply? iTunes Sometimes it will freeze as it loads sometimes it won t Sometimes Computer problems - need bigger power supply? after it crashes and I reboot I ll get Computer problems - need bigger power supply? a MACHINE CHECK EXCEPTION blue screen as windows loads If I restart again windows will load properly I have the case standard w power supply I used a power supply calculator and it was a bit over w but I don t know how accurate those are Heres what s in my computer using power Athlon X Dual Core Processor NVIDIA GeForce GT MB Ram x Realtek AC sound card Floppy drive Two optical drives DVD-ROM and CD DVD RW One hard drive - fans total usb case lights nbsp

A:Computer problems - need bigger power supply?

This one should work well with your board.

If you want to kick it up a notch for future upgrades choose this one.

If you want something a little less expensive, but good.
Relevancy 80.84%

Hi all

This isnt an ongoing problem but since ive bought my computer at launch, every month or so, it will randomly switch off, and wont switch back on until ive unplugged the power supply for a couple of minutes then plugged it back in, then it will switch back on and work fine.

Is my power supply failing me? or is it being overloaded or is it another problem

A:Computer Sometimes Switches Off Randomly, Power Supply?

Chances are it is your power supply if it is turning itself off like that, try using a different kettle lead. If that doesn't work, I would replace the power supply unit, it shouldn't be that expensive. Are you getting any error codes before or after the system failure?

EDIT: Saying that, I have seen problems like this before simply from to much dust build up inside the system, causing it to overheat and shut itself down.
Relevancy 80.84%

2 days ago the power outlet that my computer was placed into was kinda half exploding. And the "lightning protector" that was attached into it died. I was trying to connect the computer to a different power outlet , and the computer won't turn on.
Not sure what happend... So Idk what to do... Should I buy a new power supply and see if everything is ok? Or just give the computer to some lab and have em to "make it work" ??

A:computer died / power supply replacement

Anyone? No sense? It's not like a genius question. Just kind of a "your opinion"
Relevancy 80.84%

Oh those Best Buy geeks...
My parent's pc died on them and they took it to get serviced...3 weeks later, it came back with a new power supply, but the computer is awfully, awfully slow (it takes 10 minutes from.startup to load internet explorer). Factory reset has done nothing...did they touch something they shouldn't have?

Posted via Mobile Device

A:Computer slow after power supply replacement...

You would have to ask them for a list of that which they did.

What brand, model, model # PC, or same information for the motherboard?

Computer specs would be helpful.

Which ;power supply was it: brand, model, model #, wattage? Same for now?

If you aren't happy, take it back & have them install a new power supply and politely insist that they demonstrate it to you before you accept it back.

Start the computer, note time from start to desktop appearance or log in screen appearance.

Start the computer in safe mode & do the same.

To start in safe mode, start > run
type: msconfig
boot.ini tab
put a check in "safe book"
exit without restarting
Shut down.
Turn on.

Post your time logs here.

See #17 at for an example.

Relevancy 80.84%

Today I switched on my computer and it wouldn't turn on. I had a feeling that it could be something wrong with the power supply, so I took it out and connected it to another computer and it did not work on this other computer either! However, the motherboard light turns on when the power cable is connected to the power supply.

Would this mean that it is or is not the power supply that has broken?

I was thinking that it could be my front panel connectors that could be causing the problem but I'm not sure after I tested the power supply on the other computer and it wasn't working either.

Many thanks for your help.

A:Computer won't turn on! Power supply broken?

If the power supply fails to operate on two different computers you can be pretty sure the power supply needs to be replaced.
Relevancy 80.84%

Whenever I start my computer, or try to, one of three things happen. 1.) Nothing happens. 2.) The computer boots up for about a second. 3.) The computer boots up, but there is no video on the monitor. (The monitor works fine). Are these signs that the power supply is broken? Do I need a larger wattage power supply? Can someone help me?

Relevancy 80.84%

I have following configuration
Intel DG 965 RY Board
Intel Dual Core 3.2 GHZ processor
Nvidea Quadro FX 580 Graphic card
3 SATA HDD (500 + 500 + 300)
1 SATA DVD Drive
RAM 4 GB (4 chip 1 GB each)
Power supply iBall LPE223-400
I am experiencing frequent automatic restart of the system and sometimes my hard drives got vanished from My Computer.

Can somebody tell me that my SMPS (power Supply) is enough for this configuration?
if not then What is minimum required?

Relevancy 80.84%

Last night there was a huge lightning storm near my house that caused the power to go out, and when it came back my computer refused to power on. It was plugged into a surge protector, but I figured the lightning had somehow zapped the power supply anyway. So I went and bought a new power supply, reconnected it to everything, and the computer STILL doesn't power on. The light next to the power switch doesn't even light up. What could still be causing the problem? Even if the motherboard were zapped, wouldn't the computer itself still power on? What can I do to find out where the issue is coming from?

EDIT: I just took it into a shop to have it looked at. Now how do I delete this thread...?

A:Computer not powering on, even after replacing power supply

Anything else plugged into the surge protector that is, working fine?
Relevancy 80.84%

Recently I replaced the power supply in Computer supply booting not replacement. after up power my computer and then my computer refused to bootup When I try to bootup my computer just turns on and nothing else My monitor screen doesn t even get a picture which I m assuming means that it isn t getting a quot signal quot The monitor remains black with nothing ever showing up not even the text during the bootup screens Computer not booting up after power supply replacement. and the little light on a monitor that indicates that it is quot on quot just flashes like they do when you shut off your computer and forget to turn off your monitor So I replaced the video card with a spare one Same problem I ve used a different monitor Same problem And I have also used a different harddrive But as you guessed it Same problem I ve reseated all my Ram the CPU and all of the ribbon connections about times to ensure they did not come loose during the power supply change Still nothing As a last resort I reinstalled my old power supply system which was working but old and NOISY and it never helped Any suggestions I m at my wits end Thanks for any assistance I need an adult drink nbsp

Relevancy 80.84%

Hi, I'm not sure why the computer is doing this, but whenever I plug in the computer, the power supply starts buzzing, and the LED light that shows if the computer is on automatically turns on once I plug in the power. And if I push the on/off button the computer doesn't respond to it at all. Not sure why this is happening, but please help.

A:Power Supply buzzing and computer not turning on

Sounds as if the Power Supply has gone out, or the MotherBoard has shorted and is gone. The easiest way to check would be to find a replacement Power Supply and install it.

Has the computer been plugged during an electrical storm without being plugged into a surge protector?
Relevancy 80.84%

I am trying to find a replacement powersupply for a hewlett packard computer.
The computer I have will run for a short period of time then it will shut down completely. I can restart it after a short period of time. My question is what type of powersupply does HP use. Is it a atx style or something else? I am at work and I am trying to get the model number from home. I was hoping that someone would know off the top of their head. thanks for all the help.

A:hewlett packard computer power supply

First off, you'll have to be a lot more specific. HP has made many computers over the last couple of years, and there are a variety of power supply styles.

From your description, it's not possible to determine if it even is the P/S that is the problem, what makes you so sure that's the failing component? This could be a cooling issue because the processor fan has failed, and the machine is shutting down on a thermal cutout, for instance.
Relevancy 80.84%

Have an issue with my computer not turning on A couple of days ago it shut down on me in the middle of web browsing It would not turn back on I noticed my power button LED light stayed lit I completely unplugged the computer and then plugged back in The LED light was now off I then pressed power and it turned on After minutes the computer shut off again LED light came back on I waited til the next day to try again but was unsuccesful I thought that I had blown my power supply I replaced the power supply with a new one and the computer would Computer not turn brand supply on, is will new power still not turn on At this point I am puzzled by what it would be I just Computer will not turn on, power supply is brand new so happened to have another MOBO and I swapped the two MOBOs and still nothing There is a small square light on the MOBOs themselves that come on when the Computer will not turn on, power supply is brand new power supply is connected Not sure what it means Since swapping the MOBOs didnt do anything I bought another CPU After installing it I get nothing I really need to get this fixed fast Any suggestions Why would the power LED light stay on This is happening with both mobos FYI Its an Intel PERL mobo with an Intel Pentium HT processor Socket nbsp

A:Computer will not turn on, power supply is brand new

call the company
Relevancy 80.84%

Hi i have a hp desktop computer and i just put in a brand new gig rpm seagate hard drive After doing so it seems like windows becomes unresponsive much more than before I have the computer filled to the max case wise Supply wondering Upresponsive computer, Power its if becuase it came with original hard drive and cd-rom drive and i added the second hard drive and cd-burner I however Upresponsive computer, wondering if its Power Supply have not added a video card While my computer was defraging the new drive it appeared that the original drive dissappeared off the part that lists the available drives on the defragger and the computer was unresponsive Do you think its the power supply it doesnt seem like its getting hotter than normal i put my hand by the PSP fan If you do think its the PSP do you think i could unplug it from on of the cd-rom drives to get enough power Im not sure about the wattage of the power supply where would i be able to find that in the inside of the case on the PSP somewhere Thanks in advance

A:Upresponsive computer, wondering if its Power Supply

The power supply's max output is 200 watts.
Relevancy 79.98%

Hey, i'm building a computer but i haven't realized that the power supply i need is an atx 2.0. What power supply should i get??

I was orignally looking at the Ultra X-connect but it doesn't support atx 2.0 Damn.

Relevancy 79.98%

i want to get an ATI RADEON 9800PRO 128M for 159.00 its interface-256-bit memory-680MHz Core- 380MHz and im not shure waht opengl is but it also has OpenGL 2.0 is and i read the costumer notes and the video card wont run on a computer with under 350 watt power supply i just need to know if i have 350 or 300 watts psu

A:Solved: [B]how can you find out if my computer gives a 350 watt power supply and if not how

The best way would be to open the case and look at the ps. It will have a label that looks like this.
BTW a 350W is absolute minimum. A more realistic requirement would be 400W+
Relevancy 79.98%

My computer will not turn on after an outlet cable that the computer power cord was connected to seems to have broke and is giving partial electricity every now amp then I have been running tests and trying to figure out why it does not turn on for a full day now and here are the things I discovered - I opened up the power supply and watched it while turning on Power turn on[RESOLVED] works(?), not Supply does Computer the computer I hear a spark-click and another while the fan goes to spin but immidiatly is stopped all in under a second And that is the power on status it is all it does Power Supply works(?), Computer does not turn on[RESOLVED] It seems as if it starts but then is being backfired - On the bottom board of the power supply on GT and GT tiny cylinder-like fuses things that have a red line on one end and a black line on the other spark when I very slowly connect the computer to the outlet Is that normal or is that an electrical leak over a fried part of the board - The LAN and interior light both light up when the computer is connected to the outlet meaning the Power Supply works(?), Computer does not turn on[RESOLVED] power supply is not dead The light up green I do not know what to try or how to test for what And surely do not know what is going on My Power Supply works(?), Computer does not turn on[RESOLVED] guess would be a broken fuse in the power supply if there is one There were other electronics connected to this damaged cable all work perfectly fine including the computer monitor peakers and subwoofer Oh and the computer is a Sony VAIO VGC-RA G that I have had ever since it came out - years Any help or suggestions Maybe someone had the same thing happen to them I need to get this PC up and running ASAP as I have a project due this week and already am very behind schedule so any help at all is greatly appriciated

A:Power Supply works(?), Computer does not turn on[RESOLVED]

I think you need to have our hardware team investigate this. I'll get your post moved to the relevant area where our hardware team can investigate.
Relevancy 79.98%

I have tried twice now to turn on my computer, but each time the computer only turned on for two seconds then i saw a blue spark from the power supply, which died immediately and never turned on again. The power supply was an Enermax Noisertaker rated for 420W.

My system consists of the following:
- Chaintech Zenith Value Edition VNF4 Ultra Motherboard
- AMD Athlon 64 bit 300+ cpu
- ATI Radeon x700 pro video card
- Audigy 2 ZS audio card

I have no idea why it keeps on dying.

A:Computer only runs for 2 seconds before power supply sparks

well its prolly busted for now, either get a refund if u can or see if u can exchange it for another one, ur system can easily handle it, dont know much about that mobo manufacturer tho
Relevancy 79.98%

My dad said he came home the other day and smelled something "electrical" burning and traced it to the computer, so he unplugged it.

I plugged it in to test it, and got a loud horrible sounding beep (so loud i'm not sure if it came from speakers or the hardware??) and then nothing happens Won't boot up. I just hear a vibrating/sickly humming sound in the box that is in the back of the case, with a fan, and as far as I can tell the fan is still spinning, so the noise most likely isn't the fan. Would this 'box' be the power supply? I am guessing so since this is where the power plug goes in at. Also, if it is indeed the power supply, would this problem inflict damage on other components?

Relevancy 79.98%

Sorry this is so long There s a at supply all; on won't behavior. turn Computer Curious power condensed version in bold on the bottom with only the pertinent information I had posted this quite some time Computer won't turn on at all; Curious power supply behavior. ago before setting about trying to fix the problem on my own I turned my computer on today and everything was running normally I went about my business for a couple minutes until it just shut itself off All the peripherals stayed on and acted like I had just performed a hard shutdown so I m pretty sure it s an issue with the computer itself If I leave it alone for a while I can turn it back on and it works fine until eventually shutting itself off again the longer I leave it off the longer it runs when I turn it on again I m hoping this is enough information to provide some sort of diagnosis as I don t really want to take it in for repairs on what seems like a rather simple problem Thanks for any help edit Update Forget what I said above about being able to turn it on it s completely shot now I m guessing the power supply s given out on me Whenever I plug it in what I m guessing is the power supply starts emitting a somewhat faint yet very high-pitched constant whine not sure if this is new or if I just started noticing it because I was taking a closer look at it Anyway if anyone disagrees with my conclusion please let me know Otherwise I ll be replacing it pretty soon and hoping Click to expand Now quite some time has passed and due to a shoddy replacement computer other responsibilities and a general apathy laziness it s still not fixed I tried replacing the power supply first no luck The CPU next nothing Motherboard nothing I also stabbed myself in the process but that s not really important Well I tried again today trying out different combinations of the assorted parts on cardboard outside of the case hoping that maybe I d just been unlucky with one of the replacements being DOA Now I hadn t tried the replacement power supply again since its first attempt but when I plugged it in this time and hit the power button both the cpu fan and the graphics card fan spun for a quick moment like they d been given just one push and then shut off If I shut off the power supply and wait for the green light on the motherboard to turn off and then turn it all on again they ll do the same thing quick burst of power shut off The green light stays on the whole time Nothing else seems to be happening or trying to turn on My old power supply won t give me that little burst Could it just be that the replacement isn t giving out enough power The old one was W the replacement s I don t know I m lost Does this sound like it s a problem with the power supply at all That was my original theory based on how the computer quit on me in the first place Or is there something else that might be causing it Something that might be disrupting the startup Thanks for any information that might help I d really rather not drop the money for a whole new setup especially considering all the spare parts I now have Condensed Version Computer stopped turning on Powered on for a couple minutes and shut off if I waited I could get it to turn on again only to do the same thing Replaced power supply motherboard cpu Nothing worked Tried replacement power supply again and noticed that it would give the cpu and graphics card fans a quick burst of power but nothing sustained Old power supply won t do that nbsp

A:Computer won't turn on at all; Curious power supply behavior.

A lot of computers do that first burst of power, I can name 4 that I have had recently, and they are all happy and running (one in now my server), so this is not an issue. Does the computer not turn on at all? If it does not then I ran into one mahcine about a week ago that would not turn on at all, power supply was good, giving out 5 and 12, tested RAM, vid card, HDD's, CD ROM, mobo by itself, and reseated CPU. Nothing, this made me mad. So anyway I pulled the CMOS battery and boom, it worked, long story short it was a CPU recognition issue, dumb I know how it would not even turn on.

Tried pulling the CMOS battery on the new mobo? It is possible to get bad CPU's, I know a guy who went through 3 AMD's before he got one that worked, I do not think the issue is your power supply, it could be something is grounding out against the case or a bad CPU.
Relevancy 79.98%

Hi everyone- This is my first time here and I need help I m a newbie and not real technically advanced but here s my problem A few days ago I was trying to connect my scanner to a USB port and I noticed my mouse got stuck I hit the power button on the front of the computer to turn off I rebooted and then I couldn t enter my windows password because my keyboard didn t work either I then turned off the computer from the reset button in the back Then I flipped it back and tried to power on my computer and it has never turned on again I should mention that Power Supply? doesn't or Motherboard start Computer when I try to turn on the computer there are no sounds no fans moving It s just silent and dead It doesn t try to do anything Could it be the power supply or motherboard I tried using different outlets and changed out the computer cord that runs to the outlet My friend helped me build my computer about years ago I have left it Computer doesn't start Motherboard or Power Supply? running mostly which I guess isn t good Could I have worn out my computer faster I don t even remember Computer doesn't start Motherboard or Power Supply? what kind of mobo I have or really anything I have to look and my friend ordered the parts yrs ago The only repair I ve ever had to do on it was replace the fan about months ago My friend instructed me to open up the computer and see if the wiring from the power button to the motherboard looked ok and it looked fine I just wonder if the keyboard mouse problem first gives any hint to what could ve happened There were no weird sounds no smells nothing burned that I could tell My friend and I are going to look at it this weekend but we could use some advice I am going through computer withdrawal at home am posting from work right now Oh regarding the scanner I guess I should mention that my USB port I was trying is in the front of the computer below the power button However I noticed I can t fit it in the USB port anymore because it s bent or something Maybe this did something to affect the power button itself So I never succeeded in getting the scanner in there because it didn t fit in the quot bent quot USB port then the mouse froze etc Then I was checking my cords in the back to the mouse and keyboard and then the whole non-powering thing happened I also tried a suggestion where I unplugged the power button from the Mobo and put a dime on top of the two pins to try to power it on and nothing happened Help I m desperate nbsp

A:Computer doesn't start Motherboard or Power Supply?

It sounds like there was a short in the USB port and it damaged the motherboard. There is electrical current running through the USB port.
Relevancy 79.98%

K, I was playing SimCity 4 and my computer just turned off and then turned right back on. Is it the power supply or something else? I was watching TV and that had no problems, so it wasn't the power. It's a new computer with a ThermalTake power supply 420W, AMD64, Serial ATA HD.

A:Computer turned off in the middle of SimCity. Bad power supply?

Could be a heat related issue with your graphics card. If it gets too hot it might freeze or shut itself down and the PC. Make sure you are getting proper cooling, and things aren't too hot in your case.
Relevancy 79.98%

Hi There My computer keeps shutting itself down with the following error message quot Power surges detected during the previous power on ASUS anti-surge was triggered to protect the system from unstable power see below for photo of screen So I bought a UPS in the hopes of controlling the flow of power to my computer Unfortunately that didn't work so I assumed that the power supply unit must be broken I have replaced it and I Supply - Shutting Down Computer Keeps Surges Power Detected am still getting the crash error So I simply disabled Power Supply Surges Detected - Computer Keeps Shutting Down the feature on teh motherboard that controls anti-surge protection Power Supply Surges Detected - Computer Keeps Shutting Down and now my computer simply crashes and powers down I have checked the event logs and noticed this being logged right before the crash every time quot File System Filter 'aswSnx' - - T Z has successfully loaded and registered with Filter Manager quot Any help would be greatly appreciated I am tearing my hair out over this Thanks Ben dxdiag ------------------ System Information ------------------ Time of this report Machine name ENDUSER-PC Operating System Windows Home Premium -bit Build Service Pack win sp gdr - Language English Regional Setting English System Manufacturer System manufacturer System Model System Product Name BIOS BIOS Date Ver Processor Intel R Core TM Quad CPU Q GHz CPUs GHz Memory MB RAM Available OS Memory MB RAM Page File MB used MB available Windows Dir C Windows DirectX Version DirectX DX Setup Parameters Not found User DPI Setting Using System DPI System DPI Setting DPI percent DWM DPI Scaling Disabled DxDiag Version bit Unicode ------------ DxDiag Notes ------------ Display Tab No problems found Sound Tab No problems found Sound Tab No problems found Sound Tab No problems found Sound Tab No problems found Sound Tab No problems found Input Tab No problems found -------------------- DirectX Debug Levels -------------------- Direct D retail DirectDraw retail DirectInput retail DirectMusic retail DirectPlay retail DirectSound retail DirectShow retail --------------- Display Devices --------------- Card name NVIDIA GeForce GTX SE Manufacturer NVIDIA Chip type GeForce GTX SE DAC type Integrated RAMDAC Device Key Enum PCI VEN DE amp DEV E amp SUBSYS amp REV A Display Memory MB Dedicated Memory MB Shared Memory MB Current Mode x bit Hz Monitor Name Generic PnP Monitor Monitor Model DELL U HM Monitor Id DEL Native Mode x p Hz Output Type HD Driver Name nvd dumx dll nvwgf umx dll nvwgf umx dll nvd dum nvwgf um nvwgf um Driver File Version English Driver Version DDI Version Driver Model WDDM Driver Attributes Final Retail Driver Date Size bytes WHQL Logo'd Yes WHQL Date Stamp Device Identifier D B E E- D - CF-B - FC C Vendor ID x DE Device ID x E SubSys ID x Revision ID x A Driver Strong Name oem inf NVIDIA SetA Devices NTamd Section ci ven de amp dev e Rank Of Driver E Video Accel ModeMPEG A ModeMPEG C ModeVC C ModeWMV C Deinterlace Caps CB - - - E - C DB Format In Out YUY YUY Frames Prev Fwd Back Caps VideoProcess YUV RGB VideoProcess StretchX VideoProcess StretchY DeinterlaceTech PixelAdaptive F F DA - B - B F- D -C E EAAB Format In Out YUY YUY Frames Prev Fwd Back Caps VideoProcess YUV RGB VideoProcess StretchX VideoProcess StretchY A A C -C EC- BD - EDE-F C DC B Format In Out YUY YUY Frames Prev Fwd Back Caps VideoProcess YUV RGB VideoProcess StretchX VideoProcess StretchY AA E- - A - C - F FAF E E Format In Out YUY YUY Frames Prev Fwd Back Caps VideoProcess YUV RGB VideoProcess StretchX VideoProcess StretchY DeinterlaceTech BOBVerticalStretch CB - - - E - C DB Format In Out UYVY UYVY Frames Prev Fwd Back Caps VideoProcess YUV RGB VideoProcess StretchX VideoProcess StretchY DeinterlaceTech PixelAdaptive F F DA - B - B F- D -C E EAAB Format In Out UYVY UYVY Frames Prev Fwd Back Caps VideoProcess YUV RGB VideoProcess StretchX VideoProcess StretchY A A C -C EC- BD - EDE-F C DC B Format In Out UYV... Read more

A:Power Supply Surges Detected - Computer Keeps Shutting Down

[code][/code] should be wrapped around your long list of information there. It will make things easier to read. For instance:

System Information
Time of this report: 5/23/2012, 20:17:39
Machine name: ENDUSER-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120330-1504)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
System Model: System Product Name
BIOS: BIOS Date: 07/22/10 16:02:56 Ver: 08.00.14
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8300 @ 2.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8192MB RAM
Page File: 2310MB used, 14069MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

DxDiag Notes
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 2: No problems found.
Sound Tab 3: No problems found.
Sound Tab 4: No problems found.
Sound Tab 5: No problems found.
Input Tab: No problems found.

DirectX Debug Levels
Direct3D: 0/4 (retail)
DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)
DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

Display Devices
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 SE
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTX 460 SE
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0E23&SUBSYS_23251462&REV_A1
Display Memory: 4065 MB
Dedicated Memory: 993 MB
Shared Memory: 3071 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: DELL U2312HM
Monitor Id: DEL4071
Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)
Output Type: HD15
Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Driver File Version: 8.17.0012.9573 (English)
Driver Version:
DDI Version: 11
Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 2/9/2012 22:43:00, 17642816 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp:
Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-4D63-11CF-B752-29031FC2C535}
Vendor ID: 0x10DE
Device ID: 0x0E23
SubSys ID: 0x23251462
Revision ID: 0x00A1
Driver Strong Name: oem12.inf:NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.1:Section015:\ven_10de&dev_0e23
Rank Of Driver: 00E62001
Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_C ModeVC1_C ModeWMV9_C
Deinterlace Caps: {6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
{F9F19DA5-3B09-4B2F-9D89-C64753E3EAAB}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY
{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY
{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
{6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,UYVY) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
{F9F19DA5-3B09-4B2F-9D89-C64753E3EAAB}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,UYVY) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY
{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,UYVY) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY
{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,UYVY) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoP... Read more
Relevancy 79.98%

computer for a few days you would press the start button on the tower and it wouldn t start right away but then power Windows new help, did start, not Home can supply someone won't XP sp2--Computer after a few sec would come on Yester day I tried it twice I pressed the start button on the tower and you could hear the power supply try to start but would die and the computer would not Windows XP Home sp2--Computer won't start, new power supply did not help, can someone come on so about the Windows XP Home sp2--Computer won't start, new power supply did not help, can someone thired time press the button and nothing would even try to start Windows XP Home sp2--Computer won't start, new power supply did not help, can someone I figured it was the power supply I put a tester on the power supplyh and it said it was bad so I bought a brand new one put it in and it still would n t do anything just dead I tested the new one and my tester sasid it was bad I changed it for another one and the store I bought the st one from tested the st one and there tester showed it was good so my tester must not be working Anyway I plugged the nd new power supply into just the motherboard and the harddrive and the little line that goes to the cpu and then plugged it in and still nothing the computer just acts like it is dead Can anyone help me with what else I could check I checked the cords and the wallplug in etc is there anything else I can do or is it the mother board the computer is only about years old its dell can anyone help OK I put another brand new power supply in it and pressed the power button on the tower or times it acted like it wanted to start then did I am on line like nothing is wrong now When it first started out when it started I caught a line that read the previous shutdown was due to a thermal event and said to press I think it was F to continue and I did and like I said I am online like nothing happened I am updateing some programs and then I guess I will turn it off and see if it will start again Any ideas what the thermal event could have been or is what I can do if it keeps happening Help nbsp

A:Windows XP Home sp2--Computer won't start, new power supply did not help, can someone