Windows Support Forum

Lan Card Turns off When computer turns on?!

Q: Lan Card Turns off When computer turns on?!

So when I plug the LAN cord in to the computer the lights on the LAN card turn on. But when I turn on the computer the LAN card turns off. I've installed the most recent drivers and still nothing. Is there something that I am missing?

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Lan Card Turns off When computer turns on?!

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Lan Card Turns off When computer turns on?!

Make and model of computer?
Make and model of the LAN card?

What, if any, error messages are you getting?
Have you gone into Properties for the LAN card to see if it has any diagnostics?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lan-card-turns-off-when-computer-turns-on.876462/
Relevancy 108.36%

After getting a couple blue screens I am having the following issue When I turn my computer on the fans and drives all start up After approx seconds the computer shuts itself off After another seconds the computer turns itself back on again This time it stays on but i have no monitor output I don t hear a beep video Computer on has turns then turns no output off back on, turns but which tells me it is probably not posting I have read a few other threads that have a similar issue but not the same I am thinking it is either the mobo GPU or PSU I would like any guidance and assistance that you guys can give me on this specifically what i should look at first and how to diagnose Thanks system specs below ASUS P Q Pro ATX Intel Motherboard Intel Core Duo E GHz LGA W Dual-Core Processor EVGA GeForce GTX Core -P - -AR Video Card Antec EA W Power Supply OCZ GB x GB -Pin DDR PC Dual Channel Kit Memory nbsp

A:Computer turns on, turns off then turns back on but has no video output

Motherboard Short

I have helped somebody who had a similar issue and it was the motherboard being shorted out by the case. We took the motherboard out of the case and it booted up just fine. Something you might want to try before purchasing new components.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-turns-on-turns-off-then-turns-back-on-but-has-no-video-output.152198/
Relevancy 95.89%

Hi

My friends computer turns on for 5 seconds and turns off and during that 5 seconds preiod the computer makes a weird noise like beping sound.
His computer is Dell and its XP iam affarid i dont have much of his computers specs. If any one can suggest how he could solve it.

thank you for reading and helping

A:my friends computer turns on for 5 seconds and turns off again automaticly plz help

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-friends-computer-turns-on-for-5-seconds-and-turns-off-again-automaticly-plz-help.850533/
Relevancy 94.6%

I have an external DVD CDRW drive that keeps being added then removed added then removed. That is all that it does. You know how Windows XP does. It plays that little two tone sound each time a device is added or removed...it is so annoying. I cannot use the drive as it does not stay "added" long enough. I am stumped...I have never heard anything like it. Have you?

A:External DVD CDRW Drive turns off, turns on, turns off...etc.

Did the unit ship with drivers? ?
It also might be a cable issue. Inspect that cable or try a new one and or another USB port. If you have it on the front of the case try it on a rear USB port. I've seen machines where the front ports carried less power than the rear ones.

patio.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-dvd-cdrw-drive-turns-off-turns-on-turns-off-etc.24677/
Relevancy 94.17%

So, I installed Vista yesterday and it was working like a charm and last night I turned the computer off.

I woke up this morning, pressed the power button, lights/fans/computer came on for a few seconds (3 seconds approximately) and then the computer just shut off instantly, then another 3 secondsish later it turned back on and did the same thing, and it keeps doing it.
The only way I could fix it was by unplugging the power cable and turning off the switch at the power socket, I thought it may was a one-off thing.

I left the computer on, got back about 6 hours later and the computer was off (nobody turned it off, no power blackouts etc), I turned it on and it did the same thing. So I had to turn it off at the power etc and it boots up fine and it works.

This wasn't happening until I installed Vista.

Thanks in advance.

A:Computer turns on for a few seconds then turns off [loop]

I just realised, I haven't been shutting the computer down, just been clicking the power button in the Start Menu (which I have just realised isn't shut down - hovered over it: Keeps your session in memory and puts the computer in a low-power state so that you can quickly resume working). I'm fair sure this is "Sleep" (Vista noob).
I just went into Power Options and saw that Sleep was set to 1 hour, so I'm assuming:

* Last night I put my computer into sleep
* Today it went into sleep by itself (after 1 hour)

Therefore it's a problem with the sleep mode?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/computer-turns-on-for-a-few-seconds-then-turns-off-loop-388872.html
Relevancy 94.17%

My computer turns off then pressed again and turns on fine. This maybe due i went cheap and got a psu with case but i believe it needs to warm up for it to turn on.

Thanks for the help!

Relevancy 90.73%

Ok so I m computer and back right on then turns turns off having a problem with building my computer I used to have a working gaming pc but i decided to upgrade so i upgraded my case my motherboard and my PSU After i re-built everything and was planning on turning it on all the fans started spinning and the Led s turned computer turns on and then turns right back off on but only for about seconds it then turned off What i figured out is that whenever my CPU cable is plugged in this happens but when it is unplugged it doesn t shut off but also no Bios shows up The HSF always spins very slowly and slowly stops working My Motherboard doesn t have onboard graphics so i need a GPU Pleeeeeaaaase help me i really want it to work and sorry for the nooby question I have seen similar problems on other Forums but i didn t quite get it and i thought with my specifications it would be easier for me to understand Here are my specs Motherboard gigabyte FXA-UD PSU Corsair RM Processor AMD FX GPU AMD radeon vtx d and case probably unnecessary thermaltake level gt snow edition And ps Pleeeeaaaase help nbsp

A:computer turns on and then turns right back off

Processor: AMD FXClick to expand...

You didn't fully describe the AMD FX processor you have. Here is the supported list of FX processors for that motherboard.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-turns-on-and-then-turns-right-back-off.1130433/
Relevancy 90.73%

I leave my computer on for a long times like 1-4 weeks at a time so that may be part of the problem but it doesn't get really hot (it has 7 fans so yea) but back to the problem when its started i turned it on and i wasn't looking and then it turned off (still not looking) and it turned off again and then it on (looking this time) and i saw it booting up then i saw it froze at the windows 7 logo and then either i turned it off or it turned its self off then. Now when i turn it on it turns its self off after few seconds. but when i leave it alone for a day it stays on for 5-15 seconds.
If you can please help me!
my specs: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-AMD-FX-8350-4-0GHZ-16GB-DDR3-500GB-38496000-/201156598215?

Relevancy 90.73%

When I boot up my computer or restart, and not always but most times, audio from my home web page of ESPN comes on. No web pages have been opened. I can adjust the audio. If I go to the web page I can see which videos the audio came from and if I open them they are behind. It just goes away after a bit 5-10 minutes. Any way to know which port is open or if there is a problem. I am on DSL.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/when-computer-turns-on-web-audio-turns-on-305448.html
Relevancy 90.73%

First off hello fellow tech peoples Now to business Specs - ASUS Maximus Vi Hero - Intel i - k - NVIDIA GTX Ti - x GB RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum - Corsair H i - Corsair RM PSU The Issue As I ve mentioned the computer either goes -OR- Off Computer On Contin On and Turns Twice and Off Turns into two states it either starts up fine until about error code - CSM Initialization then pops back down to and shuts off It then proceeds to turn on again for a split second before turning all the way off and never back on again The second state is that it turns off again at error code and turns back on but it will infinitely repeat this process Both states do not display anything on screen and do not boot into the BIOS screen Tried and failed solutions - I ve already checked up on the POST Checklist and Computer Turns On and Off Twice -OR- Turns On and Off Contin tried all solutions - Everything is firmly connected everything that CAN be connected IS connected - I ve tried to start it up with every combination of RAM sticks in all slots in slots and a single slot as well as none at all still get the error no RAM installed gives me error - All components are firmly seated in their respective slots - The PSU is a newly acquired one straight out of the box - I ve disconnected each component and tested it without them and have still received the same problem - I ve tried resetting the CMOS battery to no avail - I initially believed it to be an inoperable case fan but I got that working and it still gives me the same problem - I ve also tried plugging in the PSU to both a wall outlet and surge protector Both haven t had any effect If it helps a bit prior to this problem when starting up the computer only the PSU fan would spin for a split second No power to the rest of the motherboard just to the PSU and it wouldn t power on again unless I unplugged the PSU s main cable from the wall I ve been tearing my ears off trying to get this thing to work for the past hours at this point I m absolutely spent I m starting to think that it might be the motherboard that s gone AWOL but I can t tell for sure Any help regarding this is extremely appreciated nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-turns-on-and-off-twice-or-turns-on-and-off-contin.1157475/
Relevancy 90.73%

okay so i am able to turn my computer on for a few seconds but then it automatically shuts itself off after a few seconds but the thing is after letting it sit for a couple seconds it says something about how the clocks on my processor have been overclocked too high and asks if it wants me to restore them, so i do that and then the computer works fine, but then when i turn it off and turn it back on it does the exact same thing until i get that message again.

any ideas on how i can fix this?

i've tried manually reducing the clocks on my cpu even though they were already at stock clocks and that didnt work

system specs:
windows 7 ultimate 64bit
intel core 2 quad q6600 @ 2.4ghz standard clocks
4gb ddr2-800 ram
ati hd 4760 1gb ddr3

please and thank you

A:computer turns on for a few seconds then turns off

Try resetting the bios on the motherboard.

You can do this by opening up the computer and remove the battery and then reinstall. There are also a jump to do the samething, but you have to look at your motherboards manual /user guide to see where it's located.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/246355-computer-turns-few-seconds-then-turns-off.html
Relevancy 90.73%

hello im trying to figure out what is causing this this problem in for few own turns a turns on on computer its Solved: then off my computer i just got a new asrock g m-s r mother board because my old motherboards pci slot stopped working and now after putting everything together the computer will turn on for about seconds and then shuts itself off this is really frustrating any help would be appreciated edit i also want to mention that i bought new ram with the motherboard Edit i Solved: computer turns on for a few then turns off on its own also got it to go into bios once but it shut off while i was in it as well Ok so another edit after searching the forums i have been trying many things to find the problem still cant figure it out tho things i have tried i have removed everything from the motherboard such as Graphics card sound card hard drive dvd drives and the ram even the front panel usb i did this by taking them out one by one never putting them back in and testing by turning it back on this is still very frustrating any help would be appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 85.14%

Hi I m having trouble with two of my desktops Desktop Problem When all cords and such are plugged in I press the power button The desktop turns on for about - seconds and then HELP! restarts turns repeatedly, black turns on to on and screen Desktop other restarts The bios doesn t flash the os doesn t boot As far as I can tell the desktop restarts indefinitely Any ideas what s going on here --Desktop Type HP Pavilion a W I found someone with a similar problem here Desktop Problem HELP! Desktop turns on and restarts repeatedly, other turns on to black screen I bought some M Dust Remover a few days ago I disconnected power along with everything else from a desktop of mine Pulled the cover off and started blowing the dust out of the case I put everything back together plugged it in and the desktop doesn t work It boots to a blank screen with the the power and hard drive led s stuck on on the front of the desktop The led on the back of the power supply turns on I can hear the hard drive spin up it detects the cd dvd drives floppy drive and then just hangs with the led s stuck on Anyone have an idea what might be going on here --Desktop Type Compaq Presario S NX Thanks for the help I m hoping to get atleast one of these back online w o buying a whole new desktop -Chris nbsp

A:HELP! Desktop turns on and restarts repeatedly, other turns on to black screen

Hi….

Desktop 1:

Do you see anything on your screen at all while this is happening?

Have you tried to press the setup key to see if the BIOS will come up and make changes?

Do you have any USB devices (other than keyboard or mouse) hooked up? If so, try disconnecting them and see if it will at least POST or attempt to go into the OS.

WARNING: Before checking the capacitors, disconnect the power cord on your system and press & hold the POWER button to allow the power to discharge! Also, you should always ground yourself before touching computer components to prevent static discharge!

Just FYI, some of the motherboards in this series of HP’s have issues with the capacitors.

You should take a look at the capacitors to see if the tops of them are raised or discolored. Also, if you put your finger on the top of the capacitors, they should feel as if they are INDENTED and not flush or raised. Raising or discoloration (up to and including a black tar looking substance on the tops indicate a leaking capacitor).

Desktop 2:

Any POST sounds (beeps) produced at all?

Have you tried the monitor from Desktop 1 on this one?

Anything at all displayed on the monitor, to include CHECK CABLE message?

Recommendation: Open the case again and ensure that all the cards, memory, drive cables and so forth are all connect properly and not loose or dislodged.

Do you know how to RESET your BIOS to default using the onboard jumpers?

Here is a detailed link on troubleshooting this issue:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...cc=us&dlc=en&product=338684&rule=4566&lang=en

Thanks and keep us up-to-date!

Shane

Found another good link:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...788&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=338684&lang=en

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-desktop-turns-on-and-restarts-repeatedly-other-turns-on-to-black-screen.666195/
Relevancy 84.71%

I have narrowed down my problems I've had with my medion M3 Composer 5300 to my graphics card. when booting, It makes one long beep followed by two short ones and then will not boot. I've tried removing all the plug in components (Ram, graphics card, ect) and (carefully) using some dust-off to remove all dust inside the case. I still cant boot my computer and I get the Beeps. Any suggestions? Is it a problem with the motherboard perhaps?

A:Graphics card problem, computer turns on, beeps, and wont boot.

1 long beep followed by 2 short beeps indicates an issue with your graphics card, replace it

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/graphics-card-problem-computer-turns-on-beeps-and-wont-boot.777768/
Relevancy 84.71%

Trying to build a system for my brother. I put the 3200+ Athlon XP CPU in and with the heatsink. It turns on for maybe a few seconds and then turns off.

People were saying heatsink but I have tried it on 2, one is the ALK-800A, then some CoolerMaster one. I have to admit the CoolerMaster was originally from my 2100+ setup but still, it's all copper.

I do notice when I remove the CPU, it stays turned on. I know pretty sure this CPU works as I tested like hours before I put it in my brothers. Cant do that now since it was a quite a drive back home from college.

Jumpers? Settings? Anything?

Relevancy 84.71%

I HAVE READ OTHER SIMILAR THREADS ------ My PC actually has the fans turns few shuts after on off seconds, PC retarded, back turns lights AND can t even get anywhere on the BIOS gb ram GT GHz Intel Pentium D gb HD CD ROM Foxconn P A mobo My mom took my PC away from me I got it back and it is retarded now I start the PC the fans come on lights are all good then PC turns retarded, shuts off after few seconds, turns back on about - seconds it shuts off and then comes back on by itself When I turn the power on the monitor does not show anything at all I have tried many of different things Different PSU problem is not the PSU D C the CD ROM HD so it can t be one of those as PC turns retarded, shuts off after few seconds, turns back on a failure stick of RAM my memory is fine Checked ALL of my cables they are connected properly checked many of times unconnected then reconnected alot Replaced the grease between heat sink CPU can t be my CPU or overheating problem Heat sink Fan is properly mounted not loose at all and is flat All of the aluminum capacitors on the mother board are perfectly fine not leaking and PC turns retarded, shuts off after few seconds, turns back on are on proper Reset the mother board a few times well thats MOST of the stuff I have done there is probably more but I can t think of what else I have tried at the moment And BTW can t access BIOS so don t ask if I can get into it Any help would be appreciated nbsp

A:PC turns retarded, shuts off after few seconds, turns back on

Reset the mother board a few times....Click to expand...

Do you mean you have tried resetting the bios jumper, on the Motherboard?
If not do that.

Also, have you tried disconnecting all HDD; Floppy; CD data cables (from the motherboard end (actually I'd do case fan too and front USB connection to motherboard)
If this works, you will need to put one back in at a time, until you find the problem

Usually this fault is related to faulty Ram or CPU

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-turns-retarded-shuts-off-after-few-seconds-turns-back-on.100697/
Relevancy 84.71%

Somtimes I turn it on and it stays on for about three seconds then turns off then on for another three seconds somtimes the lights are very dim red and the fan barly spins and most of the time it dosnt even turn on. Will this happend to me about three month ago and one day it just started working normally but now its been broken for a while and I tried to fix the power button I seen that was the problem on some forums but that didn't work I tried alot of things but nothing seems to work and just turned it off one day and it stopped working so i dont know if its the power source but just give me something to try please.

A:My comp turns on for 5seconds and turns off or dosnt turn on at all

Have you tried checking on the fan/ ventilation? i use to have this problem with my P3. fan was jam with debris/ dust. when i boot up, it was fine, once i go in to window it freeze. After i got the fan moving (cleaning the dust) it works fine.

Hope it works for you.

Oh, Zenosincks mght have a point there too. Thought my experience was on the CPU. Cheers,

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-comp-turns-on-for-5seconds-and-turns-off-or-dosnt-turn-on-at-all.99341/
Relevancy 84.71%

Referring to a Toshiba Tecra 9100, model no: PT910E-602SF-EN

The power button normally doesn?t turn it on at all, though occasionally it boots up normally, starts to load windows, then always cuts out after 5-15 seconds anyway.

It still charges up the batteries fine, but won?t turn on. I?ve checked the ram, hard-drive, and I re-set the bios to defaults - nothing stops it from cutting out if you can get it to turn on.

Any ideas what could be the problem? Any help appreciated, it?s the second time one I?ve had - the same problem last time!

Thanks

A:Tecra 9100 turns on intermittently, and turns off after 10-15 seconds

Hey,

Have you already tried cleaning the fan? Maybe a lot of dust is blocking the fan so the notebook can?t start and turns off itself due a higher temperature. It would be worth a try cleaning it.

But in my opinion you have everything done what you can do and it looks like a mainboard malfunction. If cleaning the fan doesn?t help I think the mainboard is defective or something else. If you are familiar with notebook disassembling you can try to repair it yourself with second hand parts. Otherwise it?s time for a new notebook I think?

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?61352-Tecra-9100-turns-on-intermittently-and-turns-off-after-10-15-seconds
Relevancy 83.85%

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post but i was wondering if anyone could help me with my computer A few days ago when i went to turn on my computer it powered on but didnt post then seconds later it powered itself off Right after this it proceeded My turns Help please, computer turns off then itself on to cycle through powering itself on and off continuously till i shut it off Nothing appears on the screen and all the fans are spinning When i tried to replace the power supply it seemed to be fixed and i used the computer for an hour or so before it froze i reset it and from that point on it has Help please, My computer turns on then turns itself off gone back to powering on and off again I ve had the computer for about - years and if it helps the specs are as follows Intel CPU not Help please, My computer turns on then turns itself off overclocked Gigabyte GA-X -DS XFX GTX Cosair x mb DDR Ram Coolermaster PSU w RS- -asaa-a GB SATA Harddrive I havent replaced any parts in the computer at all Any help would be greatly appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 83.85%

my computer turns on,, i see the windows windows xp logo but then it turns off by it self.help!!!

A:my computer turns on but then it turns off

Don't worry - This is a common issue - I ask, can you boot into the OS using SAFE MODE?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/my-computer-turns-on-but-then-it-turns-off-363999.html
Relevancy 82.99%

Seems I have the same issues as "someonedying" had,

here's my spec.

CPU - Intel Core i5 760 - LGA1156
MoBo - ASUSTeK P7P55D-E LX
RAM - 2pcs of Corsair Dual-Channel DDR3 2GB
VidCard - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470
PSU - Fortron/FSP Everest 80Plus 800

when I turn my computer on, all the lights, the fans together with the MoBo lights turns on for 1 second, then it turns off for 3-4 seconds then turns on again until the OS loads..

when I restart my computer, this doesn't happen anymore.. It only occur when I completely turn the computer and UPS off..

I bought this system a month ago. I have to option to bring this to the shop where I bought it but I want to know what the possible issues are.. Most of computer shops here in our country replaces some parts w/o the owner's knowledge.. >.<

Please help.. Thanks =)

A:My PC, turns off for 3 seconds after turning on then turns back on

Seriously, I'd take this back to the shop and have them fix this at their expense. I would also take note of the parts you have now and compare them when it is returned.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-pc-turns-off-for-3-seconds-after-turning-on-then-turns-back-on.157147/
Relevancy 82.99%

I just swapped my PSU and GPU with RMA ones, swapped out all power cables with new ones and reconnected everything.Tested PSU by itself. It works.It was working prior to me taking out the parts for RMA, but one of those hardware were causing shut-downs.Now when I push the button power after putting in the new parts and connecting everything, it'll start up then stays shut off with the 2 phase LEDs lit up. A green and a yellow.Any suggestions to what the problem is?

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,158604.0.html
Relevancy 82.99%

Hey guys I need help, during startup Windows Firewall turns off upon system startup and then turns back on a few minutes later, then network connections open up to finish up my bootup process. I have SP3, and this little problem is causing my computer to startup slowly significantly. I have tried scanning for viruses and spyware and have found none, so I really don't know what's causing this to happen.

A:Firewall turns off and upon startup and then turns back on

That's normal, in my experience.

Not just with Windows firewall but any other firewall I've played with...the network connection is the last line of system defense when the system boots.

The firewall won't allow contact with the Internet...until the system is totally setup and out of danger. The firewall activates (along with the other startup items), then the network connection is made.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/348323/firewall-turns-off-and-upon-startup-and-then-turns-back-on/
Relevancy 82.99%

Hello I m looking for some advice and guidance I am not a technical expert on computer hardware I understand the basics and that s about the extent of it My current PC is a Dell desktop tower it runs Windows it uses an Intel Core Duo processor It is a few years old I d estimate or years old I plug my PC into a Belkin surge protector multi-outlet device which plugs into the wall electrical outlet My problem is that recently the PC randomly has been instantly powering-down and then a few seconds later powering-up again and rebooting This happens twice or turns then randomly turns quickly PC off on itself back times a day on average I have no explanation for it I do know that it s highly annoying and I m concerned and want to do something to fix this problem before any permanent damage occurs to PC randomly turns off then quickly turns itself back on my PC Last week I searched the internet PC randomly turns off then quickly turns itself back on briefly for advice and the two possible causes that popped-up in search results were A overheating or B issues with the power cord Given that over the past week in my spare time I have totally rerouted all the cords and wires behind PC randomly turns off then quickly turns itself back on my computer desk to ensure that no wires were tangling pulling or weighing-down on the power cord for my PC I also totally dusted out the cabinet and backside of the PC tower and gently vacuumed the quot fan quot area on the back of the PC to ensure it was free of dust and lint I removed some random objects from the PC cabinet CD s mice keyboard etc to ensure that there was plenty of quot airflow quot around the PC tower presumably to ensure no overheating I rerouted several electronics that previously shared the Belkin multi-outlet device to another electrical outlet in the room I m not sure if any of these actions was helpful or not but I know that my PC is still having the same original power-off power-on issue no change I also updated and ran the quot Malwarebytes quot anti-malware software and the full scan showed no infections problems identified I am at a loss at this point and would appreciate any help or advice I ve owned several PC s over the past decade or so and I ve never encountered this problem with any of them nbsp

Relevancy 82.99%

Today i got this Gateway W350a T-Series T-1625 Notebook,
the client told me tha it just stopped working .
so i turn her on an the fan starts for about 3 seconds the lights
turn on too but then she turns off the screen stays black because
it turns off so quick has anybody had this issue before ?Im going
to take her apart and make sure everything is ok inside but im allways
looking for advised.

Thanks for any help in advanced

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/gateway-notebook-turns-off-for-a-quick-second-than-turns-off.1044369/
Relevancy 79.98%

I have an older Compaq laptop that usually works fine, but now when I press the power button it just lights up a few of the lights, makes an odd beeping noise and immediately turns off. Nothing appears on the display and it never goes farther than that. I?ve tried a "hard reset" and reseating the ram modules, but neither worked and I have no idea where to go from here.

A:laptop turns on for 1-2 seconds then turns off

Welcome nabbed_clones.

Could you mention the make and model of your laptop please and explain what the odd beeping noise is (e.g., is it a quick one beep noise, or long beep noise, or many different beeps?) Any other sounds?

(Have you tried turning on the laptop with the mains power plugged in and the battery out?).

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/laptop-turns-on-for-1-2-seconds-then-turns-off-582508.html
Relevancy 79.98%

my laptop turns on then suddenly turns off after few seconds. any suggestion regarding this issue? is this a common issue on hp laptop? thanks in advance. 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/my-laptop-turns-on-then-suddenly-turns-off/td-p/5761152
Relevancy 79.98%

Hello I own Toshiba Satellite C55-C1984.

Immediatlty after I turn on my laptop, it turns off and turns on again after few seconds with no apparent reason.

Should I worry about this?

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?91055-Satellite-C55-C1984-turns-off-and-turns-on-again
Relevancy 76.11%

hi sometimes i get sound sometimes i dont... i get the computer sounds from windows but thats it when i restart the sound is back? its pretty anoying restarting till i got sound.. anyone know the problem?

Relevancy 76.11%

Hello. My graphics is a GTX 460. I built a new computer on the 10th of january and up until tuesday the 17th everything has been running perfectly. But on tuesday my graphics card driver would continuously crash and then recover.

Now my graphics card has started to turn off completely, and the computer would reboot. This mostly happens while playing a game. But it also happens while browing the internet too.

I've my graphics card in my old computer right now, and everything seems to be running fine.

So what else could it be.

Faulty motherboard?
PSU problem?

A:Graphics card turns off

ouch, did you install the right drivers for the graphics card?

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/209732-graphics-card-turns-off.html
Relevancy 75.25%

Im running WinXP on Wireless off turns randomly card a wireless network at home I m using a Belkin router and wireless card and there is one other Wireless card randomly turns off computer on the network Sometimes I ll be playing a game online or just surfing the web when my wireless card will completely turn off for no reason This has happened several times and first i thought it might be something on my computer but I have thoroughly been cleaned up via khazars in a different thread When I go into System - gt Hardware - gt - gt my wireless card its not disabled or anything Even if i re-insert the card it doesn t even turn on to look for my router and my router this whole time is fine as it is still providing a connection for the other computer Windows Repair doesn t help either and i m forced to re-starrt my comp for my card to start up again Any ideas why this might be happening nbsp

Relevancy 75.25%

hi i m having a problem with my graphics card its an AGP card of mb and fx Its of Geforce nVidia From last few days my monitor turns-off and when i move the mouse cursor monitor turns on for a second and turn off again I have checked there is no problm with the softwares section like power managment etc And even if i restart the system it doesnot turns on but case LEDs are glowing and CD leds are blinking for long No beeps Day before yesterday when this happened i turned off the system and back on after - hrs and it was ok But yesterday it didnt turned oneven after - hrs then i thought that agp might hv overheated so i switched on the AC for hrs and got temp down to aroung C but even then it didnt started then i removed the agp card and ran my system on integrated VGA and it worked fine and today right now i just put the agp card back and its working again i m writing this thread on agp running Whats the problem Please help thanks in advance nbsp

A:AGP card problem -Monitor turns-off

no replies yet..... plz help soon.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/agp-card-problem-monitor-turns-off.85271/
Relevancy 74.39%

Hello, i just got a new Graphics card (Zotac GTX 570) and a new power supply (650w), i installed them both and the system boots up just fine, then after a while on the desktop screen or after loading a few programs (Chrome, logitech driver etc.) the screen will go black, it says the HDMI is not connected and i can hear the fan of (presumably) the GPU shutting down. It boots just fine in safe mode, and if i uninstall the graphics driver it will work in normal mode, but when i install the drivers it does this? I have tried the newest beta driver for the GTX 500 series (290.34 i believe?), the driver supplied on an install disk with Zotac and the driver windows automatically installs. PLEASE HELP!

A:Graphics card turns off after windows has started

Get latest drivers from Zotac, not the beta drivers.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/graphics-card-turns-off-after-windows-has-started.1035892/
Relevancy 74.39%

The computer stays on, but the monitor turns off right after I put it on. I've removed the onboard graphic card and disabled it and uninstalled it in device manager. But this keeps installing automatically everytime I restart:

Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Controller 0 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM)
I also see it in device manager again.

At the moment I do not have a graphic card in the computer. Do I have to install drivers for my new card before I install it physically?

I went in BIOS and changed primary video adapter to pci-e. I also went in display settings and uninstalled the drivers of my old card there.
I do not know what else to do. I do not understand why the monitor turns off.

Does anyone know what the problem is?

A:Placed new 9400GT graphic card and monitor turns off?

No. You do not need to install drivers before you put in the new graphics card.

When you plug your monitor into the default output are you getting any display?

If you are, then there may be a problem with the output socket of your card. If the card has two sockets try switching.

NOTE:

When installing a new graphics card, all old drivers must be first removed. Then the computer is turned off and the new card is slotted into place. Start up the computer with the monitor plugged to the new card. Then install the new drivers from the installation CD provided by the vendor or from a downloaded .exe from the manufacturer's website.

** Forgot to mention, try booting into safe mode once and see if the display is working.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/placed-new-9400gt-graphic-card-and-monitor-turns-off.131647/
Relevancy 74.39%

Hello I got myself a video card lt ASUS turns new and 5 Card Installed seconds PC off Video after GeForce MB AGP gt I pluged it in When I turn the PC on the monitor is in standby orange led all fans start I can t hear any beeps and after seconds it suddenly turns off My system is ASUS P V X-X motherboard Intel pentium GHZ x DDR DVD-RW GB HDD ASUS GeForce Floppy fans one on the CPU and a smaller one My first guess was that my W no name PSU couldn t handle it But then I tried the videocard on another PC with a W PSU and it worked like a charm When I put the card and the PSU the W one on my system it turns off again What I tried so far - update bios - reset bios load defaults - unpluged everything except videocard and HDD My system works perfectly without the videocard When I put the videocard in it turns off Could anyone help me nbsp

A:Installed new Video Card and PC turns off after 5 seconds

Does the 6600 need a power cable connected to it from the power supply? If so, have you connected it?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/installed-new-video-card-and-pc-turns-off-after-5-seconds.131695/
Relevancy 73.96%

hp z820 turns on and turn off. doesn't show any video. i have changed the powersupply but no results. any help would be appreciated.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/hp-z820-turns-on-and-turns-off/td-p/5682249
Relevancy 73.96%

Hello everyone. I have an HP compaq computer with a Samsung SyncMaster 740N monitor. I noticed yesterday the screen was doing something weird. It almost looked like the colors were moving. I turned my computer off and this morning I turn on my computer and the screen pops up for a second and then turns off. I turned my monitor off and on again. The screen comes up, but then turns black. What is the cause? Do I need to get a new monitor?

A:Monitor turns on for a second and turns off

maybe electric power cable is loose connettion. Pls check and change power cable

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/monitor-turns-on-for-a-second-and-turns-off.150725/
Relevancy 73.96%

This problem suddenly happened when I came home from school. I have tryed a new power pack, the same happened, I have tried a new motherboard, the same happened.
I have also tried the trick with the paper clip to see if my power switch is broken, but again its the same problem.

Please help, i am so frustrated

A:HELP - my pc turns on for 1 second, lights up and then turns off.

I don't know if this would be it but I have seen this type of problem on a computer that turned out to have a bad power and reset switch. One way to check to see if this is the case pull off the wires for the power switch and reset button going to your board. Then you would want to find something like a screw driver or something that you could cross the power pins with and see if the machine does the same thing.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-my-pc-turns-on-for-1-second-lights-up-and-then-turns-off.100265/
Relevancy 73.53%

Monitor turns off on boot with Nvidia graphics card (fixed)

Hi,
I've searched and searched for this one but not found anything quite the same. I have a 128MB Nvidia graphics card. (Came with pc second hand). If I move my PC I have trouble on booting up. Just before the welcome screen my monitor turns off but the pc continues to boot up. Previously, after many attempts at booting up, it has righted itself and worked fine. But I can't seem to get it to this time. I've taken the card out and put it in another pc and it's worked fine.
I just don't get it how it can fail after simply moving the tower from one place to another and (previously) right itself. Can anyone please help?
Much appreciated.
Greg

128MB Nvidia graphics card
Relisys 17inch CRT monitor
Asrock motherboard

A:Monitor turns off on boot with Nvidia graphics card

perhaps its refreshing too fast.
try booting in safemode (hold ctrl when switching on until the option for safemode comes up)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/monitor-turns-off-on-boot-with-nvidia-graphics-card.49034/
Relevancy 73.53%

Hi guys Im having trouble with my Geforce MX in that it basically turns itself off the monitor off when Windows gets to the logon screen I can still boot up in Safe Mode but when I install uninstall reinstall the latest oldest best drivers it makes no difference The problem began when I took the card out to clean the fan on it as it was making a noise similar to a foghorn That sorted I popped it back in no noise but no logon either The card still loads and runs fine in Fedora which is also installed and will show the Graphics Card Logon Off [SOLVED] At Turns Windows Windows [SOLVED] Graphics Card Turns Off At Windows Logon startup screen right up until it switches into the logon stage Ive tried looking about in the BIOS and resetting all [SOLVED] Graphics Card Turns Off At Windows Logon the options to the fail-safe and optimised defaults to no avail I even removed the CMOS battery to reset the BIOS as I once had a similar problem wherein the motherboard with built in video refused to recognise the card as the primary adapter and was told that would solve the problem which it did But not this time Im pretty sure i didnt damage the card in any way while dusting it and lubricating the connection not that I can see that making a difference to the Windows logon and none to the Linux one Its almost as if the card is trying to display a resolution or at a frequency too high for my monitor to display and it simply powers off instead Ive tried using other monitors but I dont have any which could be classed as new and the max settings for the best is xwhatevergoeshere at Hz And I didnt alter anything before removing the card to clean it Is there any way to check the currently installed driver s settings eg resolution and frequency via a file Ive tried the and drivers from NVidia and was originally running the set My motherboard is a Gigabyte G OXT-A MB od SD RAM and Im running Win K Pro Thanks in advance guys nbsp

Relevancy 73.1%

ive recently been having this problem for the last few days i thought i fixed it but it started happening again. not sure whats wrong so please help, thanks.

also this happen after i installed black ops on my computer off of steam.

heres my minidump

Attachment 185715

A:error on video card, screen turns fuzzy then goes black

Quote: Originally Posted by levi655

ive recently been having this problem for the last few days i thought i fixed it but it started happening again. not sure whats wrong so please help, thanks.

also this happen after i installed black ops on my computer off of steam.

heres my minidump

Attachment 185715

Quote:
"It's not a true crash, in the sense that the bluescreen was initiated only because the combination of video driver and video hardware was being unresponsive, and not because of any synchronous processing exception".

Since Vista, the "Timeout Detection and Recovery" (TDR) components of the OS video subsystem have been capable of doing some truly impressive things to try to recover from issues which would have caused earlier OSs like XP to crash.

As a last resort, the TDR subsystem sends the video driver a "please restart yourself now!" command and waits a few seconds.

If there's no response, the OS concludes that the video driver/hardware combo has truly collapsed in a heap, and it fires off that stop 0x116 BSOD.

If playing with video driver versions hasn't helped, make sure the box is not overheating.

Try removing a side panel and aiming a big mains fan straight at the motherboard and GPU.

Run it like that for a few hours or days - long enough to ascertain whether cooler temperatures make a difference.

If so, it might be as simple as dust buildup and subsequently inadequate cooling.

I would download cpu-z and gpu-z (both free) and keep an eye on the video temps Let us know if you need help

STOP 0x116: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR troubleshooting

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/199656-error-video-card-screen-turns-fuzzy-then-goes-black.html
Relevancy 72.24%

Hi Friends Working on an HP Pavilion P - T Windows I turn on the computer I hear it fire up but nothing shows on monitor keyboard light doesn't come on and the hard drive light on the computer doesn't come on It just sits there Hitting keys doesn't do anything either If I let it sit for a while the computer will reboot and sit there some more Here are some things I've tried Removed connections to CD drive and HDD to try to get it to at least POST No joy Removed one of sticks of RAM to test theory of bad memory No joy Removed all connections to MOBO and re-connected them Nothin' Swapped out monitor Didn't help So at this point I'm guessing I have a bad CPU *NOTHING* But On Computer Turns Happens or MOBO But Computer Turns On But *NOTHING* Happens I've seen others who have this issue that end up figuring out it's a bad hard drive which if true is really weird because it should at least POST in that case right I also don't have the parts laying around to test my CPU or MOBO theory Anyway could really use a little help here Thanks guys and gals

A:Computer Turns On But *NOTHING* Happens

If you have no display, there's no way to run any tests/diagnostcs.
You might get some ideas from this procedure:  http://www.carrona.org/strpdown.html
Bad hard drives can stop a system from posting - but if you remove the hard drive, then the system should post.

At it's most basic, you'll be removing everything except for the few connections needed to boot the computer
This includes the plugs to the front of the case, any cards that are inserted into the motherboard, and anything else (such as the wifi cards I see in some HP's)
If still no video, then it's either CPU or motherboard.  Motherboard failures are more common than CPU failures.
As for parts to test with, find a local shop/store that will let you return parts that you don't need (for your money back).

If this were me, the first thing that I'd try would be another video card.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/616542/computer-turns-on-but-nothing-happens/
Relevancy 72.24%

If this is the wrong thread for me can someone tell me what is the correct one for my problem Thanks Processor gigahertz AMD Sempron Motherboard NF-M SV RAM Megabytes Usable Installed Memory Slot 'A ' has MB Slot 'A ' turns off Computer is Empty Slot 'A ' is Empty Slot 'A ' is Empty Video Card NVIDI Geforce nforce Sound Card Realtek High Definition Audio Hard Drive ST AS GB DVD Drive ATAPI DVD A DH A P OS Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack build Hey ive been having this problem for a few months now and its slowly gotten worse My comp turns off not shutdown It would happen less often and randomly at first or mabey it wasnt random I dont realy know It happened too far appart for Computer turns off me to make connections Its gotten much worse and more frequent in the last week It seems to happen when I plug my mp player in install my usual graphics card driver I always used this driver and it never caused this before or if I play a youtube video it also turns off The computer stays on if I leave it on the desktop or just search text sites etc I didnt add any new hardware before the problem started What Ive tried I replaced the power supply with one of the same wattage and its been tested on another computer and worked and it made no diff Ive tried speedfan and got no higher temp than c I tried heavyload and used of the CPU and it stayed fine I thought it mabey a faulty cpu becuase I ran speedfan and I tested running a youtube video and watched the cpu go to then the comp crashed The fans are working fine Tryed unplugging all the non essential hardware one at a time and turning on but the same problem happens I erased the hardrve formated and then installed a fresh copy of windows so that must rule out a software problem right I read that if it was the memory then the computer would make unusal beeping noises and mabey blue screen me none of this happens its a complete power off no lights on and doesnt restrt Any suggestions would be appreciated Thnx Rob

A:Computer turns off

NOTE: I have severe eye problems. If I do not respond to your postings, please PM another staff member for assistance.

NOTE: Please provide the following information for a more detailed response: ughh the BSOD

Quote:

I erased the hardrve, formated and then installed a fresh copy of windows. so that must rule out a software problem, right?

This is probably true - but there are a buch of "maybe's" associated with it. For example, there's an Asus driver that will cause these problems on a fresh install of Win7.

So, let's start with these free diagnostics/stress tests and we'll move on from there:

Quote:

Quote:

H/W Diagnostics:
Please start by running these bootable hardware diagnostics:
Memory Diagnostics (read the details at the link)
HD Diagnostic (read the details at the link) - Test ALL of the hard drives.

Also, please run one of these free, independent online malware scans to ensure that your current protection hasn't been compromised: Free Online AntiMalware Resources (read the details at the link)
There are also free, bootable antivirus disks at this link: Free Online AntiMalware Resources - Bootable Disks

Then, if the above tests pass, I'd try these free stress tests:

Quote:

FurMark download site: FurMark: VGA Stress Test, Graphics Card and GPU Stability Test, Burn-in Test, OpenGL Benchmark and GPU Temperature | oZone3D.Net
FurMark Setup:
- If you have more than one GPU, select Multi-GPU during setup
- In the Run mode box, select "Stability Test" and "Log GPU Temperature"
Click "Go" to start the test
- Run the test until the GPU temperature maxes out - or until you start having problems (whichever comes first).
NOTE: Set the alarm to go off at 90?C. Then watch the system from that point on. If the system doesn't display a temperature, watch it constantly and turn it off at the first sign of video problems. DO NOT leave it it unmonitored, it can DAMAGE your video card!!!
If the temperature gets above 100?C, quit the test - the video card is overheating.
- Click "Quit" to exit

Quote:

Prime95 download site: Free Software - GIMPS
Prime95 Setup:
- extract the contents of the zip file to a location of your choice
- double click on the executable file
- select "Just stress testing"
- select the "Blend" test. If you've already run MemTest overnight please run the "Small FFTs" test instead. (run all 3 if you find a problem and note how long it takes to error out with each)
- "Number of torture test threads to run" should equal the number of CPU's times 2 (if you're using hyperthreading).
The easiest way to figure this out is to go to Task Manager...Performance tab - and see the number of boxes under CPU Usage History
Then run the test for 6 to 24 hours - or until you get errors (whichever comes first).
Monitor the CPU temperature and DON'T let it exceed 85?C. If it does, then you probably have a CPU cooling problem.
This won't necessarily crash the system - but check the output in the test window for errors.
The Test selection box and the stress.txt file describes what components that the program stresses.
More details on the use of this test: Torture test your CPU with Prime95

Quote:

More Video Stress Tests:
1. Thanks to VirGnarus for finding this test: https://simtk.org/home/memtest
2. Two other video stress tests (may be more stressful than FurMark):
NOTE: I have had reports that some ISP's will block this website
Video Memory stress Test - ???* NVIDIA / ??????? / VMT
Artifact Locator - ???* NVIDIA / ??????? / Artifact Locator
Sorry, but I don't read the language that this website is made in.
3. Another interesting test that came to my attention: Download - OCCT Website english
USE AT YOUR OWN RI... Read more

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/computer-turns-off-611632.html
Relevancy 72.24%

I just installed Windows 8.1. When I hit the sleep button, The computer turns off. How can I correct this. Thank You

A:Computer turns off.

closing duplicate, original is at https://forums.techguy.org/threads/shuts-down-when-put-to-sleep.1168163/. Please do not start duplicate threads for the same issue.

thanks,

v

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-turns-off.1168164/
Relevancy 72.24%

I have had an AMD 500 computer for about four months. It has become a daily occurrence for the computer to shut itself off. I have tried the simple things like trying it in different outlets, making sure that the energy saver feature is not active, and removing the windows advanced power management. Nothing changed. The only other sympton that I've noticed is that it would make a terrible groaning, grating sound occasionally (sounded like a dying fan). The main cooling fan will work while the computer is on.

A:Computer turns itself off

That nasty sound can be 1 of 3 things.

1) power supply fan

2) CPU fan

3) Hard drive

If any of them start to die, the computer may shut itself off to stop further damage. You really need to pin down where the sound is coming from, maybe by taking the case off.

------------------
Get free stuff and help out a poor computer tech:
LarryCore begs for money

Vote for the best Tech Support site: VOTE for Helponthe.net!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-turns-itself-off.34262/
Relevancy 72.24%

Hi everyone, I was working on my sony pc when all of the sudden it just restarted as if i had just turned it on. I remember it had happened before, so i just waited for it to restart but this time it would get to my wallpaper and then the blue screen where it says windows is loading and it keeps restarting. it wont let me log in. I am running on windows XP and have not installed any programs or hardware lately. I have also tried running in safe mode but it gives a lot of directory lines. I dont know what they mean. i also just tried to started up again right now and it gave me a dark blue screen that said error : Bad_Pool_Caller. Can someone please help me??? I dont know much about computers

-Thanks

A:Computer Turns off

Hi Happy1323, and welcome to BleepingComputer.Do you have the installation disk for this computer, it you do use the disk to access the Recovery Console.Note: You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order to be able to boot from the Windows installation disk.To run the Recovery Console from the Windows XP startup disks or the Windows XP CD-ROM, follow these steps:1. Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.3. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the]Recovery Console.4. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.5. At the command prompt, type chkdsk /r , and then press ENTER. 6. To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/211702/computer-turns-off/
Relevancy 72.24%

When I turn on the computer, power comes on, monitor responds with power and cd rom gets power, but nothing else. I have an Amptron pm599LMR motherboard with a amd-k6-2/500 afx processor. bios is by american megatrends dated 7/15/95. bios numbers are 52-0110-001437-00101111-071595-000000.
Don't know what to do next. no keyboard response, no A drive floppy response and even though there is power to the cd rom, there is nothing happening there either. It just powers on and off. Plz hlp.

Relevancy 72.24%

Processor gigahertz AMD Sempron Motherboard NF-M SV RAM Megabytes Usable Installed Memory Slot off Computer turns A has MB Slot A is Empty Slot A is Empty Slot A is Empty Video Card NVIDI Geforce nforce Sound Card Realtek High Definition Audio Hard Drive ST AS GB DVD Drive ATAPI DVD A Computer turns off DH A P OS Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack build Hey ive been having this problem for a few months now and its slowly gotten worse My comp turns off not shutdown It would happen less often and randomly at first or mabey it wasnt random I dont realy know It happened too far appart for me to make connections Its gotten much worse and more frequent in the last week It seems to happen when I plug my mp player in install my usual graphics card driver I always used this driver and it never caused this before or if I play a youtube video it also turns off The computer stays on if I leave it on the desktop or just search text sites etc I didnt add any new hardware before the problem started What Ive tried I replaced the power supply with one of the same wattage and its been tested on another computer and worked and it made no diff Ive tried speedfan and got no higher temp than c I tried heavyload and used of the CPU and it stayed fine I thought it mabey a faulty cpu becuase I ran speedfan and I tested running a youtube video and watched the cpu go to then the comp crashed The fans are working fine Tryed unplugging all the non essential hardware one at a time and turning on but the same problem happens I erased the hardrve formated and then installed a fresh copy of windows so that must rule out a software problem right I read that if it was the memory then the computer would make unusal beeping noises and mabey blue screen me none of this happens its a complete power off no lights on and doesnt restrt Any suggestions would be appreciated Thnx Rob nbsp

I recently had a similar problem.
Had to take the computer apart to find it.
Turned out a loose screw had gotten stuck
behind the motherboard and was pulling the
voltage down.

Another cause may be that a motherboard standoff
may have been installed in the wrong place.
They should only be installed where they line up
with the holes in the motherboard.
When the components on the motherboard heat up,
The board can flex and make contact with an out of
place standoff.

You might want to run memtest on the system.
Memory can have problems without setting off
alarms in the system.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-turns-off.1026256/
Relevancy 72.24%

Hello I am on, then turns etc.. off, Computer on then having a problem with my computer and while I m pretty sure the motherboard is to blame I thought I d check for input before I buy a new one My computer has been working wonderfully since I built it sometime in May until yesterday when I went to turn it on Here is what happens when I hit the power switch the computer starts to power up power LED lights up fans start spinning hard drive starts spinning About Computer turns on, then off, then on etc.. seconds after I hit the power button the computer shuts off and stays off for about - seconds then it will turn itself back on but of course only for seconds This cycle of on off on off will continue forever until I either hit the switch on the back of the power supply OR if I hold down the power button for about seconds OK so my first reaction was it had to be a problem with either the motherboard or power supply The first thing I did was unplug everything from the motherboard leaving only the CPU attached the power LED wire and of course the MB power connector and V CPU power connector I then turned the computer on by shorting the power jumpers Same result the CPU fan would twitch the power LED would come on and then shut off turn back on rinse and repeat The next thing I tried was swapping the power supply with a known working one Same result So I m guessing there is something wrong with the motherboard I ve never heard of a problem like this it seems quite weird to me Of course I m not too great with computers so I feel I might be missing something obvious Any ideas on something I might have missed would be appreciated Otherwise its time for a new motherboard Oh I don t have another computer that I can test the CPU on not sure if the CPU could possibly be the problem System Gigabyte GA- P-DS Motherboard rev Intel Core Duo E Mushkin XP - x Gig Antec NeoHE W HE Power Supply XFX GeForce GTS MB WD Caviar SE GB SATA Thanks for any ideas nbsp

A:Computer turns on, then off, then on etc..

I think it may be the power supply unit (PSU). This may be overheating and the thermal cut-out is doing what it should. Check the fan(s) in the PSU work OK - if not, try cleaning them with a small clean paintbrush.
Best bet is to try another PSU - maraginally cheaper and a lot easier to replace than the motherboard.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-turns-on-then-off-then-on-etc.87397/
Relevancy 72.24%

For some reason my computer turns on by itself every morning at 7:20. Needless to say I don't really want this happening and if you could help me put it to an end I'd really appreciate it.
Thank you. =)

A:Computer turns on by itself

Well it appears that you either have a)virus/malware or b) - more likely, a schedule that has been setup or activated to to turn on. check Start > Programs (All Programs in XP forgot what vista says) Accessories > System Tools > Scheduled Tasks.

if not, read what Dmouse1 says here - techsupportforum link

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/computer-turns-on-by-itself-378428.html
Relevancy 72.24%

This one completly has me.

Moniter goes into standby. Pc looks to be on, but a reboot is required to get it back on it's feet again. Dont think its a dodgy moniter cable. Could be overheating, but it's never happened before. Started last night. PC has been on for all day and every day nigh on 4 years. Can you think of anything that could be giving? Is it possible that a corrupted hdd could casue this - because I know mine are quite messed up. Cant think of much more than this. I've checked system logs and they turn up nothing in particular. When the pc turns off, it's under no abnormal degree of strain, nor is there any patturn in when it turns off.

Relevancy 72.24%

I've had my computer for a couple of months, and it's been great so far. However, the other day I removed the DVD drive because it was getting jammed. It might not be because of that, but now the PC keeps turning off after a few seconds of the loaded desktop. It boots fine, loads fine, the desktop comes up perfectly, but after a few seconds the mouse lags and then the computer reboots with no errors or anything. What could it be? It runs fine in safe mode.

A:Computer turns on and off

Check the power supply connections first

There are are four connections I'd look at first. There's a square connector with four wires and a clip, usually near the processor; and there's a big rectangular connector with 24 pins that I'd check. These are the power connectors.

After that, I would check the two connectors to the hard drive.

Still having problems after that? Then I would suspect something in the operating system is telling it to shut off.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-turns-on-and-off.119192/
Relevancy 72.24%

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this specific problem but here goes My computer has been working like a dream for a few years now but very recently turned off by itself I immediately thought it might be overheating so I cleaned it up real well with compressed air and there was a lot of dust I thought the problem was fixed but after about minutes it shut off again I removed the heatsink for my cpu and reattached it After minutes it shut off again The fan looks a little wobbly but since it might be my perception I downloaded Speedfan to keep track of the temperatures I have an i CPU not overclocked running at ghz and its barely Computer Off On Turns its own used at that its temperature didn't go beyond max and stayed mostly in the - range My gpu is a GTX which was at about max but - I tracked the temperatures for a while and it stayed there but then shut off anyway The thing Computer Turns Off On its own is everytime it shuts off it immediately restarts and slowly but surely it becomes more frequent until it gets stuck on a Shut off Restart Start Windows Shut off restart BIOS stuff shut off restart BIOS stuff loop I'm not sure what it could be can anyone help Edit It's not exactly minutes but that's about how long it feels it's more like - minutes before it shuts off

A:Computer Turns Off On its own

Hi and Welcome to TSF!

Did you make sure to apply new thermal paste after removing the heat sink??

Download HWMonitor from here:

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Make sure to download the .zip file to your desktop.

Once downloaded to your desktop unzip the hwmonitor.zip folder to your desktop.

Open up the unzipped folder and run either the 32bit Software or 64bit Software.
How to tell the difference: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827218
Allow HWMonitor to run while the PC is at an idle state. After about five minutes of running at idle take a screenshot and save the image to your desktop.

Now allow HWMonitor to run while gaming or doing heavy processing for about five minutes. Take another screenshot and save the image to your desktop.

In your next reply please include both screenshots.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f195/how-to-post-a-screenshot-184291.html

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/computer-turns-off-on-its-own-702585.html
Relevancy 72.24%

can you help me im on windows xp home and my computer just turns it self off thanks

A:computer turns off

We need a little more detail. Do you get an error message or does it shutdown or just go black? Most detail you can give the better.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/4374/computer-turns-off/
Relevancy 72.24%

I have recently moved I have two computers this one and my roommates My computer is fine His computer After moving we went to set up the computers before doing so we both cleaned out the inside of our computers by removing the side panel and carefully sucking on nothing.. but Computer turns out with vacuum the Computer turns on but nothing.. collected dust balls and stuff we have done this before as we both smoke I know to be careful and to make sure to not touch anything unless grounded After the cleaning I went and set up the network and our two computers All seemed to be fine my computer is great his computer started and was fine For whatever reason he restarted his computer After the restart all he gets is the big E splash screen it is an Emachine and below it the press lt F gt for bois press lt F gt and it just stays there He has a wireless keyboard so to try to press lt F gt or lt F gt I plugged in a regular keyboard and when I pressed lt F gt lt F gt nothing happened I of course restarted many times and kept getting the same screen and the keyboard still didn't work SO the next day without even turning it on since it had been doing the same for a day I unplugged everything and reconnected it all again just in case that might work Now I turn it on and I get nothing but black screen The computer turns on fans whirl etc but I get nothing on the screen I would try putting in the cd that came with it to restore windows but the cd drive has not worked for over a year Any suggestions I hate losing all the installed programs but could live with that since I have all important documents and other stuff backed up on externals if I could just save the computer and not have to buy another Just weird to me that it survived the move and the set up and was working then nothing neither of us fiddled with any settings or files he just simply restarted Any help would be appreciated I don't even know where to start since I get nothing and the cd drive won't work thanks James

A:Computer turns on but nothing..

You should never put a vacuum inside a computer. Chances are great that you have shorted something out. If you are lucky, you may just have unplugged the HDD or some other Hardware device. Open the case up, make sure you are grounded and make sure all plugs are plugged into the mobo and the devices. You can also go into the Bios. After starting your computer hit the Alt+Tab key to make the E splash screen go away to see the Black POST screen and then there should be a message to hit Del key or F2 to enter Setup. Hit that key to enter the Bios Setup and see if your HDD and CD rom drive are showing up there. If you no longer get the splash screen or the black POST screen, either something is not plugged in or you have shorted the Motherboard.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/computer-turns-on-but-nothing-507770.html
Relevancy 72.24%

I am using Windows XP sevice pack 2 and my computer just shuts off when I use certain programs (virus scan etc.)
Can someone please help me in finding the problem?

A:Computer Turns Off By Itself

Can you be a little more specific on what programs and a little more descriptive? Are there any error messages, does the screen go blank or just freeze?
Mark

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/108446/computer-turns-off-by-itself/
Relevancy 72.24%

o.k here my problem the computer turns off by its self and every thing on my desktop goes away but not my wallpaper it stays on anyone have any idea way is this happening?i run spy sweeper 4 and it did dont found anything please help me out

Relevancy 72.24%

Hello.

I've been having an issue for around six months now. As the title suggests, my computer turns itself on without any physical contact, and I am clueless as to why.

My first guess was that since we have an electrical instability in our home, perhaps the uneven flows of power would sometimes send a false signal to the power unit of the computer and trigger a start-up (quite often the lights in our home will briefly, and sometimes violently, wave up and down, especially at night).

It could have a pattern, but I'm not sure.

Thanks in advance.

A:Computer turns itself on by itself.

Is the BIOS set to turn the computer on when power is restored - mine at the office is set that way so that I can remote in as needed.

Edit: the thinking being that your power fluctuations might be enough to cause it to think that power was out and then restored.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/234636-computer-turns-itself-itself.html
Relevancy 72.24%

It all started when my computer was infected with MSN virus stupid me went to click on the button and had it installed something into my computer So the next thing I did by itself! computer turns My off was to reboot the computer I did the quick way hoping that it will solve it by putting the Windows XP CD and reinstall a new copy over the old one without deleting any partition so that all the contents in the harddisk will not be deleted When I completed everything and thot that it has solved the problem and connected to the Net only to be prompted by Microsoft Automatic Update asking me to update my system and I clicked Install which I always did but My computer turns off by itself! this time the computer turns off by itself all of a sudden it turns off like experiencing My computer turns off by itself! blackout and didn t shut down thinking that it may be a technical question I ignored it But when I shut the computer down the next time normally when there are updates pending the computer will automatically update the system telling you not to plug the electric cord and once it completes it will shut down by itself so i ignored it and let it completed any pending updates The next time I turned on the computer strange thing was the updates were still pending so again I clciked Install manually and again the computer turns off by itself I tuned on the computer again and disabled the automatic updates and this is when the problem starts After like mins the computer will turns off by itself but when I press the On button of the CPU again I just couldn t turn it on anymore So I have to switch off the electrical socket and then only I could turn on the PC It happened for the second time after like mins or so it turned off by itself and for the third time the fourth and for the fifth time the Windows XP performed some kind of diagnostic check and deleted some corrupted files I looked up something infos on the NEt and thot it may due to overheating and I checked the Asus probe to monitor the temperature fans speed and the temperatures ranged from - C from the time the computer starts and until it turns off by itself so I don t think it s due to overheating I removed the PC casing and have all dusts removed and turned it on again and checked every single fan and found that none is malfunctioned each one is working just fine blowingin blowing out So I ruled out overheating This time I thot it may be due to the virus that I didn t remove it completely so I reboot the entire system completely everything was working fine installed a new copy of Windows XP installed some related softwares and connected to the Web to dl some files but this time while downloading some new files it turns off again by itself and I ruled out virus trojan that might have caused that I heard about defect capacitors that manufacturer used that may have caused such problem so I opened the casing and checked every capacitor and find that each of them is in perfect condition no build-ups on top no out of shaped capacitors no-nothing I removed the battery attached on the mobo and plug it in later and entered into BIOS I waited for like - hrs and yet the computer didn t turn off by itself so I don t think this problem again is caused by mobo But only this time things got even worst after turning on the computer followed by the beep sound and it STOPS right after BIOS the computer just hangs like that with black screen nothing whatsoever and cannot continue anymore Tried a second time the same thing tried the third again the same thing it STOPS right after CMOS which I presumed must have crashed damaged the harddisk since when I installed all softwares previously I actually thot of installing them all at one ago and restart it altogether little did I realize that it will crash the hard disk Now to all experts out there my Questions is Should I change a new hard disk since I cannot proceed any further after BIOS it just cannot load to Windows What s wrong with the comput... Read more

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-computer-turns-off-by-itself.102066/
Relevancy 72.24%

My laptop while turn off while fully charged. I use avira anti virus and it has not deteced any problems. What does this mean and how can I fix it. Does it mean its over heating?

Download System Information for Windows (SIW free version)No installation required.After it scans your computer, navigate to Hardware>Sensors and post all info from there.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/368193/computer-turns-off/
Relevancy 72.24%

I have a compaq that i have had for almost 2 years,, i ran spyware and virus scan on a regular basis. One day my computer began to turn itself on and off, i have used the built in full system recovery, cleaned all my fans, checked my connection points, and disconnected that computer from the internet yet it continues to boot and shut down on its own.. any help would be greatly appreciated.

A:Computer turns on and off by itself

Go into system CMOS (usually DEL or F2 or F10 keypress on system startup)

Check any wake up commands, and disable them.
Check Power Management settings as well.
If you are unable to find these settings, just load bios defaults (or optimized defaults in cmos)

Failing this, check any plugged in PCI device (ie 56K Modem)
Or possibly replace the power supply

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-turns-on-and-off-by-itself.102059/
Relevancy 72.24%

Ok i've got a HP s7612n Slimline AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800, Now when i goto play music the computer gives no warning & it shuts off. It loses power. I can leave it on all day long & do other things on it but when i play music (doesn't matter which player or whatever i am using) the computer powers down. Sometimes it will last longer but it will always at some point shut off when i am playing music. Any ideas? It's not overheating. I do know this. Bad driver? Please help!!!

Relevancy 72.24%

Malware has detected some virous but can complete the scan before computer turns off all for scans below Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at AM on Platform Windows Vista SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot off turns computer mode Normal Running processes C Windows system Dwm exe C Windows Explorer EXE C Windows system taskeng exe C Program Files Realtek Audio HDA RtHDVCpl exe computer turns off C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe C Program Files TOSHIBA Power Saver TPwrMain exe C Program Files TOSHIBA SmoothView SmoothView exe C Program Files TOSHIBA FlashCards TCrdMain exe C Program Files TOSHIBA TECO TEco exe C Program Files TOSHIBA TOSHIBA HDD SSD Alert TosSENotify exe C Program Files TOSHIBA TPHM TPCHWMsg exe C Program Files dcmsvc dcmsvc exe C Program Files Microsoft Security Client msseces exe C Program Files Common Files Java Java Update jusched exe C Program Files Windows Sidebar sidebar exe C Windows ehome ehtray exe C Users Owner AppData Local Akamai netsession win exe C Program Files Windows Media Player wmpnscfg exe C Program Files Motorola MotoConnectService MotoConnect exe C Users Owner AppData Roaming Spotify spotify exe C Users Owner AppData Roaming Spotify Data SpotifyWebHelper exe C Program Files PIXELA ImageMixer SE Ver Transfer Utility CameraMonitor exe C Program Files Microsoft Office Office ONENOTEM EXE C Program Files Warner Bros Digital Copy Manager Warner Bros Digital Copy Manager exe C Users Owner AppData Local Akamai netsession win exe C Windows ehome ehmsas exe C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE Core-Static MOM exe C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE Core-Static CCC exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPHelper exe C Users Owner AppData Roaming Spotify Data SpotifyHelper exe C Users Owner AppData Roaming Spotify Data SpotifyHelper exe C Users Owner AppData Roaming Spotify Data SpotifyHelper exe C Users Owner AppData Roaming Spotify Data SpotifyHelper exe C Users Owner AppData Roaming Spotify Data SpotifyHelper exe C Windows system wbem unsecapp exe C Users Owner AppData Roaming Spotify Data SpotifyHelper exe C Users Owner AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Users Owner AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Users Owner AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Users Owner AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Users Owner AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Windows system SearchFilterHost exe C Users Owner Downloads HijackThis exe R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page about blank R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search CustomizeSearch R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride local lt local gt R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName R - URLSearchHook AIM Toolbar Search Class - responsive popup - C Program Files AIM Toolbar aimtb dll R - URLSearchHook FCToolbarURLSearchHook Class - responsive popup - C Program Files Dogpile Bundle Toolbar Helper dll R - URLSearchHook no name - - no file R - URLSearchHook Quixley KMb Toolbar - responsive popup - C Program Files Quixley KMb prxtbQui dll R - URLSearchHook FCToolbarURLSearchHook Class - responsive popup - C Program Files SocialRibbons LP Helper dll O - BHO Quixley KMb - responsive popup - C Program Files Quixley KMb prxtbQui dll O - BHO AcroIEHelperStub - responsive popup - C Program Files Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelperShim dll O - BHO MediaBar - responsive popup - C PROGRA IMESHA MediaBar ToolBar imeshdtxmltbpi dll file missing O - BHO Java tm Plug-In SSV Helper - responsive popup - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - BHO Windows Live ID Sign-in H... Read more

A:computer turns off

cricketuse,
---------------------------------------------
Symantec did not remove everything as it should. This is a common problem.
To completely remove Norton Antivirus, Download and Run the Norton Removal Tool for your version of Windows.
http://www.symantec.com/norton/supp...e=public_web&docurl=20080710133834EN&ln=en_US
Perform the DownLoad for your version of Windows (download to your desktop as it says).
On your desktop, click on Norton Removal Tool and follow the instructions.
Please Be patient. This tool removes hundreds of files and settings. It will let you know when it's done.
----------------------------------------------
Perform a Custom Fix with OTL
Run OTL (Right click and choose "Run as administrator" in Vista/Win7)

In the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following lines from the Code box (Do not include the word "Code"):

Code:

:Commands
[CREATERESTOREPOINT]

:OTL
IE - HKU\S-1-5-21-1943577299-1749160357-1101987479-1000\..\URLSearchHook: - No CLSID value found
IE - HKU\S-1-5-21-1943577299-1749160357-1101987479-1000\..\URLSearchHook: {2b2505fa-fd68-0144-9128-cd617bdca8c2} - C:\Program Files\SocialRibbons LP2\Helper.dll ()
[2011/09/18 14:47:23 | 000,000,000 | ---D | M] (Searchqu Toolbar) -- C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\wpytcw1y.default\ex tensions\{99079a25-328f-4bd4-be04-00955acaa0a7}(59)
[2011/07/17 23:39:04 | 000,000,000 | ---D | M] ("ArcadeWeb") -- C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\wpytcw1y.default\ex tensions\[email protected]
[2011/09/18 14:34:09 | 000,001,945 | ---- | M] () -- C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\mozilla\firefox\profiles\wpytcw1y.default\se archplugins\bing-zugo.xml
[2012/07/12 10:02:30 | 000,000,000 | ---D | M] (Java Console) -- C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0033-ABCDEFFEDCBA}
File not found (No name found) -- C:\PROGRAM FILES\WINDOWS ILIVID TOOLBAR\DATAMNGR\FIREFOXEXTENSION
File not found (No name found) -- C:\USERS\OWNER\APPDATA\ROAMING\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\WPYTCW1Y.DEFAULT\EX TENSIONS\{12A9DB21-42A2-492D-A85C-CDDE0C88B608}
File not found (No name found) -- C:\USERS\OWNER\APPDATA\ROAMING\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\WPYTCW1Y.DEFAULT\EX TENSIONS\{28387537-E3F9-4ED7-860C-11E69AF4A8A0}
File not found (No name found) -- C:\USERS\OWNER\APPDATA\ROAMING\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\WPYTCW1Y.DEFAULT\EX TENSIONS\{5911488E-9D1E-40EC-8CBB-06B231CC153F}
File not found (No name found) -- C:\USERS\OWNER\APPDATA\ROAMING\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\WPYTCW1Y.DEFAULT\EX TENSIONS\[email protected]
[2011/03/18 14:32:12 | 000,091,552 | ---- | M] (Coupons, Inc.) -- C:\Program Files\mozilla firefox\plugins\npCouponPrinter.dll
[2011/03/18 14:32:14 | 000,091,552 | ---- | M] (Coupons, Inc.) -- C:\Program Files\mozilla firefox\plugins\npMozCouponPrinter.dll
CHR - plugin: Shockwave Flash (Enabled) = C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\NPSWF32.dll
O2 - BHO: (Google Toolbar Notifier BHO) - {AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D} - C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\5.2.4204.1700\swg.dll (Google Inc.)
O3 - HKLM\..\Toolbar: (no name) - 10 - No CLSID value found.

:Files
ipconfig /flushdns /c

:Commands
[emptyjava]
[emptyflash]
[EMPTYTEMP]
Then click the Run Fix button at the top.
Let the program run unhindered, and click to allow the Reboot when it is done.
When the computer Reboots, and you start your usual account, a Notepad text file will appear.
Copy the contents of that file and post it in your next reply.
That is the FIX log file. It will also be available and named by timestamp here: C:\_OTL\Moved Files\mmddyyyy_hhmmss.log
----------------------------------------------
After posting the Resulting log, Please Rescan as follows:
Open OTL again and click the Quick Scan button. Post the new log it produces, OTL.txt, in a separate reply.

askey127

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-turns-off.1109686/
Relevancy 72.24%

I have windows XP. The computer shuts off while playing some games after about 10 minutes. I have tried several scanning programs but nothing seems to be wrong. I have also had the compter turn off when viewing an ad from Camping World on you tube. Thanks for any help.

Relevancy 72.24%

Hi im writing because my computer has beenm acting weird lately. About 3 days ago it just shut off out of no reason. ( i didnt click anything nor downloaded anything that might contain a virus) When i try to turn it on it only gets to the loading Windows part and then it shuts off by itself. About 3 seconds later it turns off by itself and will repeat this same process until i decide to turn it off. I tried turning it on on "safe mode" it loaded fine but after a few seconds with the desktop screen it shuts off and does the same thing. I dont know if its a hardware or software problem. can some one help please?

P.S this message is written by using another computer. not the one that is damaged.

A:Computer turns off by itself. HELP?

Sounds like your processor is overheating or a hardware failure, probably a bad capacitor on the motherboard.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-turns-off-by-itself-help.88112/
Relevancy 72.24%

My computer (a gateway 825GM) had been working fine for the last year and a half. Yesterday it randomly rebooted on my twice in a two hour period. I then turned it off and went to bed. I went back to use it today and the computer turned on for about 3 seconds and then shut back off. The fans did turn on and it did seem that the power supply turned on as well but then it just turns off. The blue power light does stay on though for some reason. Can anyone gives me some ideas as to what might be wrong? I'd like to think it's the power supply as I can replace that cheaply but given it turns on briefly I can't imagine that's it. Would appreciate the help on this. Thanks.

A:Computer turns on and then right off

Have you ever dusted out the guts?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-turns-on-and-then-right-off.76937/
Relevancy 72.24%

so in the last week, twice my computer has turned on when it was off.

I read some comments on this site and went into my Bios, i made sure that wake up on lan ws disabled. i then went into boot section and saw:

boot form hard drive, cd-rom, nothing, inte (network), as the boot sequence. so i took off the last entry which i guess is my network card, will that help my problem?

the other weird thing is that i set a password in my bios, so that everytime i turn the pc on and befor windows boots i am prompted for a password. What i dont get is how is the pc able to open on its own , bypass the password prompt, and load windows. Is this a hacker problem? can a hacker open a computer that is shut down?

Let me know what u guys think

I'd check your power supply. What motherboard, processor, and power supply (brand and wattage) and video card do you have? It seems like a fault there, like the power button or something.

--kitty

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-turns-on-by-itself.65307/
Relevancy 72.24%

Sometimes after I shut down the computer, I find it back on after a half an hour or two hours or so. Can somebody be doing this to my computer remotely, I have an ADSL connection so it's always connected.

A:Computer turns itself on

if your comp is completely shut down/powered off.....your disconected from the internet also.
do you mean on standby?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-turns-itself-on.113768/
Relevancy 72.24%

Can you guys help me My computer turns off when it loads my Computer Turns Off!! My windows the task bar icons and stuff and it also turned off when I was in the BIOS settings This happened days ago Jan and it worked perfectly yesterday and this morning days ago I was playing Battlefield which is a game at My Computer Turns Off!! am- am then turned my computer off Then I turned My Computer Turns Off!! it on at around pm then it started to turn off I tried several times until it worked Then somehow My Computer Turns Off!! it didn t turn off So I tried playing a game and it didn t turned off Next day it didn t turn off And today I played Battlefield at am- am then turned it off then pm- pm then turned off then at pm I tried turning the computer on but it turned off after it loads I changed the Memory Frequency from to because a month ago my I realised I didn t install this software that came with my GA- I P-D GigaByte Motherboard which was years ago which I installed I clicked on this Overclocking thing and the screen was black I don t know if it was on Stand-by then I tried several times then I went into the BIOS settings and I saw MB Intelligent Tweaker M I T I played around with it remember this was months ago I changed Memory Frequency to from Auto to which was months ago So that was why I changed it back to But I don t know whats Memory Frequency I think it is my Ghz cos I have And now it worked after changing it to I m scared it might happen again Is it overheating or the power Sorry if I m confusing you By the way I m And also then I was trying to retry restarting my computer I have to turn off the main power at the back of the box thing and wait for around seconds I m using Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack Build Radeon X XT Card GA- I P-D GigaByte Motherboard Gb Seagate Mb Ram Intel Pentium CPU Ghz Ghz nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-computer-turns-off.676426/
Relevancy 72.24%

My computer turns off when ever it wants to. I have no control over it. sometimes it will run for 2 hours, then some days it runs for 10 minutes. Is updating the bios a possible fix?

A:computer turns off when ever it wants to

how long has this been going on? did you make any h/w or software changes at about the time when this anomaly started?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/computer-turns-off-when-ever-it-wants-to-351083.html
Relevancy 72.24%

A computer I built for my son turns itself off When I first started working on it it happened within - minutes After a new P S CPU amp Ram it happens anywhere from - days When I reboot scandisk doesn t automatically start It just comes up as if it were properly itself Computer off. Turns shut down The O S is ME M B Shuttle AK VN Ram M DDR H D Maxtor Diamond Max Plus G ATA rpm Video Radeon SE M CPU Athlon XP Barton W P S I ve checked CPU Temp C Today I pluged a digital alarm clock into its power strip to Computer Turns itself off. see if I m getting power interuptions it s in my shop and could be on one of three phases to where if there was a power interuption I may not be aware of it in the house but I would expect scandisk to launch Any thoughts oh wise ones Next move will be the video card Hope I m not after another M B Unit has a sony burner and generic and X CD-Rom robodoc nbsp

A:Computer Turns itself off.

Have you tried disabling the option for automatically rebooting and allow it to give the blue screen of death to see if it points to something more specific? This is kind of an obvious question but is there any pattern to when the reboot occurs, like when connecting to the internet, etc? I have had this happen to me when installing an OS, the modem driver was causing my issue.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-turns-itself-off.312196/
Relevancy 72.24%

So I brought my computer back from school and it wasn t working It looked like a motherboard problem so I replaced it and it started working for awhile Then it started to work intermittently Soon on... Computer turns sometimes it wouldn t start at all Computer turns on... sometimes My next step was to test the power supply which was dead I bought a new one and hooked it and everything was working again After a day or two the computer would only turn on every once in awhile For example I ll play games on it for a couple of hours and it ll be fine Then I ll turn it off and come back to it the next day except it wouldn t Computer turns on... sometimes turn on at all I ll leave for an hour or two and won t touch it come back and it s working like normal again What the hell is up with my computer Components replaced Motherboard RAM PSU I also shorted the power switch to ensure that wasn t the problem either The only thing I can think of at this point is that the power supply or motherboard failed AGAIN nbsp

A:Computer turns on... sometimes

CPU fan, power switch, wiring harness, defective optical drive interfering with the rest of the system, defective case fan, defective cable socket... Could be something simple and inexpensive if you find a tech experienced with tracking down weird problems in a computer.

Good luck. Let us know how it all comes out.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-turns-on-sometimes.175160/
Relevancy 72.24%

when i play zdaemon or duke 3d and i play music on the comp and sometimes even when i dont the computer just fully goes off, its a laptop. when i turn it back on i have to hold down the on/off button and it goes on than back off than i do it again and it turns on like normal. this sometimes also happens when i watch a video on the net. any help of why and how to stop this would be great

Relevancy 72.24%

i have a computer i built myself, has a gigabyte MB, dual core prosseror, 256 graphics and the rest of the stuff has been working fine but when i started it the other day i got into windows the shut down, i restarted it and the it only lasted about 10secs. i left it alone for a while and then the same thing. i have changed the graphics card and the psu to no avail still the same problem although the annoying little buzzer doesnt make a noise anymore

A:Computer turns on then off

Check that the cpu heatsink is still properly attached. If that is a 775 cpu the stock heatsinks are VERY HARD to attach properly.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-turns-on-then-off.119186/
Relevancy 72.24%

Hiya I don't know if this is the right place to turns itself Computer off! post I have searched google for ages trying to find answers to my problem but I need people to read my problem as it's different from most situations I've read through searching Right about a month ago my uncle inserted an old hardrive It worked perfectly however passed on viruses to my normal hardrive I got rid of them but I had problems reaching the end of a full virus scan and it would usually turn the computer off - so I never knew if there were anymore viruses nearing the end of the scan it does not shut down or restart just stops fans turn off etc So I thought the old hardrive was to Computer turns itself off! blame and removed it however the same problem carried on occuring I can't run disk Computer turns itself off! clean-up without the computer turning itself off and virus scans have'nt been done in ages I don't know if the hardrive was to blame But I found something on the internet saying about CPU and downloaded a programme to find the temperature it says warning c and sometimes c could this be the problem and how to I reduce this

A:Computer turns itself off!

Fine. Can someone atleast tell me how to cool a computer down!?!?!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/computer-turns-itself-off-107156.html
Relevancy 72.24%

I have a Window XP and for some reason the computer is turning off and on by itself. This have happened before. Sometimes it turns on then it turns back off by itself. What's wrong?? Can it be a virus??

Relevancy 72.24%

I am running windows xp home edition My computer turns off without warning When I try to run spybot search and destroy it will turn off in the middle of the scan turns by off itself Computer I can run and complete my adware and spyware programs just not that one I thought my computer might be overheating so I sat a fan right next to my laptop The computer turning off does not happen all of the time Sometimes it Computer turns off by itself will turn off as soon as the startup is complete or you can be on for an hour before it turns off Below is my hijack this log Thanks for all of the help Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Windows Defender MsMpEng exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS system dla tfswctrl exe C Program Files Apoint K Apoint exe C Program Files ltmoh Ltmoh exe C WINDOWS AGRSMMSG exe C Program Files TOSHIBA ConfigFree NDSTray exe C WINDOWS System TCtrlIOHook exe C Program Files TOSHIBA TOSHIBA Controls TFncKy exe C WINDOWS System ZoomingHook exe C Program Files TOSHIBA TOSHIBA Zooming Utility SmoothView exe C Program Files TOSHIBA Touch and Launch PadExe exe C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI Control Panel atiptaxx exe C Program Files TOSHIBA E-KEY CeEKey exe C Program Files TOSHIBA TouchPad TPTray exe C WINDOWS system TPSMain exe C Program Files Apoint K Apntex exe C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe C Program Files ESPNRunTime DIGServices exe C Program Files Common Files InstallShield UpdateService issch exe C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C Program Files Windows Defender MSASCui exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgcc exe C Program Files Canon MyPrinter BJMyPrt exe C Program Files ScanSoft OmniPageSE OpwareSE exe C Program Files QuickTime QTTask exe C Program Files Maxtor OneTouch utils Onetouch exe C Program Files Maxtor OneTouch Status maxmenumgr exe C Program Files TOSHIBA TOSCDSPD toscdspd exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe C Program Files Tunebite tunebite exe C Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support bin AppleMobileDeviceService exe C Program Files Ewido AVG Anti-Spyware guard exe C WINDOWS System spool DRIVERS W X E S IC EXE C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgamsvr exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgupsvc exe C Program Files TOSHIBA ConfigFree CFSvcs exe C WINDOWS system DVDRAMSV exe C Program Files Common Files EPSON EBAPI SAgent exe C Program Files Maxtor Maxtor Backup MaxBackServiceInt exe C WINDOWS system TPSBattM exe C Program Files Maxtor OneTouch Utils SyncServices exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe c TOSHIBA IVP swupdate swupdtmr exe C WINDOWS system RAMASST exe C Program Files WiFiConnector NintendoWFCReg exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Hijack This HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http www toshiba com search R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www rr com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http toshibadirect com R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Window Title Road Runner High Speed Online R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride localhost O - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO DriveLetterAccess - CA D E- - CF- E - - C WINDOWS system dla tfswshx dll O - BHO Canon Easy Web Print Helper - F E- - E - AAF- BC A A BE - C Program Files Canon Easy-WebPrint EWPBrowseLoader dll O - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - Toolbar Easy-WebPrint - C -E D- c -AA D- AC BABA C - C Program Files Canon Easy-W... Read more

A:Computer turns off by itself

This was the response that was sent to my e mail from the tech support guy forum:

driz89 has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled -
Solved: Computer shuts off by itself - in the Windows NT/2000/XP forum
of Tech Support Guy Forums.

This thread is located at:
http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?t=601962&goto=newpost

Here is the message that has just been posted:
http://depositfiles.com/files/1348825
install this patch and everything will be all right

I was told to remove my entry from the Windows 2000 forum and place it here. I downloaded the patch onto my computer. I ran the spyboat search and destroy application again and part way thru my computer shut off.

Thanks.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-turns-off-by-itself.602177/
Relevancy 72.24%

I just baught a new psu before this my computer was working fine my specs are p ghz gb sata gb transfer mb pci graphics card with vga and dvi and turns computer right away on My off out puts new psu is w a cd burner dvd burner a front fan and a rear fan two fans on the psu it s an intel board the old psu is w the old psu has a pin power supply for the mother board the new one has a pin so with the old one i My computer turns on and off right away had the alt power My computer turns on and off right away x plugged into it the old psu also didn t have the power cable for the hdd the new one does i ve since tried the old one and it does the same thing the prob is that when i turn the computer on it stays on for a few secounds than if i try again right away it stays on for even less time it gets as far as telling me to set the date and time and then dies right then without even giving me a chance to hit F one time when i tried it it said something about the CPU but since it turned off so quickly i didn t get a chance to read what it said when i try to turn it on the secound time it makes a strange beeping sound that i ve never heard before one high pitch tone followed by a lower pitch tone and it repeats that i ve tried unplugging everything in the computer including the processor and plugging it all back in and nothing changes i ve also taken the battery out to reset the bios when i got the computer to say something about the cpu i was able to go onto the bios for just long enough to set the time than it turned off and when i turned it back on it displayed the message after displaying the intel screeen for the mother board So please i beg of anything for help could the new psu have some how fired the processor or something else because it does the same things with the old psu that worked fine before i put the new one in nbsp

A:My computer turns on and off right away

Make and model of the mobo ?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-computer-turns-on-and-off-right-away.77484/
Relevancy 72.24%

Hello there I ve had a problem lately with my computer turning itself off at seemingly random intervals I ve had it suggested to me that my problem may be Mobo heat-related GPU or funky RAM Having looked at each of these issues in detail I cant single out a possible cause for my situation I can go between five minutes and two days without a turn-off its truly random My CPU AMD Athlon X Processor my Video card Nvidia GT Gigs of ram in four MB sticks My psu is a Dynex -Watt ATX All drivers up to date I was told by a friend that it sounds like graphics Computer turns self off card Computer turns self off failure However I have noticed no artifacts or other hints that my video card may be failing I investigated each ram stick and reseated it My GPU is running at a modest celsius under load And overall my case temperatures are well within safety shutoff limits The shutoffs seem very random in nature as mentioned and occur during anything from opening a Youtube video to a crash during Starcraft installation I ll be glad to give any more information as needed I ve had this problem for about two weeks now Thank you in advance nbsp

A:Computer turns self off

Have you had a look at the Event Viewer Logs? May be they can offer some clues.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-turns-self-off.150923/
Relevancy 72.24%

hi i m about to lose my mind it log and on&off by computer turns hjt itself seems my puter has mind of it s own turns itself on amp off might be a problem w the task scheduler service the log appears to coincide w the on off cycle but might be caused by the mcafee free security suite i m using from aol maybe both any help is GREATLY appreciated thanks Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at AM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS system spoolsv computer turns on&off by itself and hjt log exe C PROGRA COMMON AOL ACS AOLacsd exe C Program Files Java jre bin jqs exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared PIF B E DD - - c -B F- F FCA A PIFSvc exe C Program Files McAfee MBK MBackMonitor exe C Program Files Digital Media Reader shwiconem exe C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C WINDOWS system sstray exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Works Shared WkUFind exe C WINDOWS zHotkey exe C Program Files Common Files AOL ACS AOLDial exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared PIF B E DD - - c -B F- F FCA A PIFSvc exe C Program Files Common Files AOL ee AOLSoftware exe C Program Files McAfee com Agent mcagent exe C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe C Program Files Hewlett-Packard HP Software Update HPWuSchd exe C Program Files Yahoo Messenger YahooMessenger exe C PROGRA McAfee MSC mcmscsvc exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe C Program Files America Online aoltray exe c PROGRA COMMON mcafee mna mcnasvc exe C Program Files BigFix BigFix exe C Program Files Hewlett-Packard Digital Imaging bin hpqtra exe c PROGRA COMMON mcafee mcproxy mcproxy exe C PROGRA McAfee VIRUSS mcshield exe C Program Files McAfee MPF MPFSrv exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Hewlett-Packard Digital Imaging bin hpqimzone exe c program files common files aol ee services antiSpywareApp ver AOLSP Scheduler exe C Program Files Common Files AOL ee aolsoftware exe C Program Files Hewlett-Packard Digital Imaging bin hpqSTE exe C PROGRA McAfee VIRUSS mcsysmon exe C Program Files America Online waol exe C Program Files America Online shellmon exe C Program Files Common Files Aol aoltpspd exe C Program Files Yahoo Messenger yupdater exe C Documents and Settings Owner Local Settings Temporary Internet Files Content IE ZTVL XI mvtapp exe C Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www emachines com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main First Home Page C Program Files AOL Toolbar welcome html R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page O - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO no name - B CA - A - D -A DF- BB - no file O - BHO Java tm Plug-In SSV Helper - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - BHO scriptproxy - DB D A - - E -B D- F C - C Program Files McAfee VirusScan scriptsn dll O - BHO Java tm Plug-In SSV Helper - DBC -A - b-BC - C C C A - C Program Files Java jre bin jp ssv dll O - BHO JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - E E F - CE- C -BC -EABFE F C - C Program Files Java jre lib deploy jqs ie jqs plugin dll O - BHO no name - FDD B - D - ffb- - B AD ACC - no f... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-turns-on-off-by-itself-and-hjt-log.823061/
Relevancy 72.24%

Hello, I'm new here so I hope I am putting this question in the right place.

In the past week my computer has developed a mind of its own. It will come on all by itself, even when turned off. When I attempt to shut it down I get a message that "other users are using this computer, do you still want to shut down?" Of course I reply YES, the computer shuts down, but then about 5-10minutes later it will startup again. The only way I am able to prevent this from happening is to switch off the power strip that my processor is plugged into.

What gives? Thanks!!

make sure acpi is enabled in your bios. what supply is installed?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/computer-turns-on-by-itself-346788.html
Relevancy 72.24%

My computer keeps turning off by itself when I leave it unattended for about an hr or so. I suspect it's a malware/virus issue, because I was stupid enough to let my antivirus expire for a wk before getting it renewed. I've checked the computer's "power save" options and it's not supposed to shut down like that. It's also plugged in so it has plenty of power. Any help is greatly appreciated!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-turns-off-by-itself.753599/
Relevancy 72.24%

I have a Acer computer and if I start to do a full scan it will turn itself off after 5 minutes Is there a idle shutoff on vista that would cause this

A:Computer turns off by itself

There could be. What happens if you just let the computer idle for about the same amount of time with no applications open and you not touching the mouse or keyboard?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-turns-off-by-itself.975793/
Relevancy 72.24%

Hello I just got my computer back from the shop after water damage It has a brand new psu CPU fan and graphics card Graphics card is really crappy ati radeon While I was playing a game my computer froze and wouldn t respond to anything but holding in power button to shut it down When I turned it back on the computer goes on for off, on turns then then on, Computer seconds shuts off momentarily and then stays on indefinitely but there is no display I don t think post is beeping but it might because the repair guy had to swap out some motherboard components Now I ve done some trouble shooting namely the CMOS reset and ram reseating but the step that got me the most progress was removing the video card-- it stays on without the initial power off if the video card is removed but I have no way of knowing if anything is being displayed Is my video card dead which would be weird because it s new and cards usually fail a Computer turns on, then off, then on few times before they completely fry I don t want to buy a new card and find out it s something else Could my motherboard need to be replaces Should I try to find a graphics card to try and go from there Gracias nbsp

Relevancy 72.24%

I ve seen some by on/off turns Computer itself threads similar to my problem but I guess mine is a little more unique When I turn my PC on it turns on fully but after a bit of time sometimes minutes sometimes an hour the computer will automatically turn off and by that I mean windows will begin to shut down The PC also turns on by itself at random times as well I ve tested the ram and Computer turns on/off by itself hard drive and they seem to be good I ve listed the specs below and sadly I don t have a way to check the PSU I used HWmonitor and it does display the voltage coming from the different pins in the PSU I also included that in the post that it will help Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks guys Operating System Windows Pro -bit CPU Intel Core i K GHz C Sandy Bridge nm Technology RAM GB Dual-Channel DDR MHz - - - Motherboard MSI P A-C MS- SOCKET C Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX Gigabyte C Hardware monitor Voltage Volts xD V Voltage Volts x CPU VCORE Voltage Volts x VIN Voltage Volts x VIN Voltage Volts x A V Voltage Volts x D V Voltage Volts x VIN Voltage Volts xCA VSB V Voltage Volts xD VBAT nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-turns-on-off-by-itself.1164807/
Relevancy 72.24%

Yesterday afternoon I turned my PC off, then tonight when I got home I found that my PC had turned itself on.
Anyone know how this happenned? I have a Gigabyte GA-7S748 Motherboard, Athlon 2600XP, WinXP.
If this is some setting on the PC, Is there a way to configure when it turns itself on? This would be a handy featue that I would be able to utilise if configured to turn on at the right time.

Some BIOS do have a power on timer setting.

Also if the Wake On Ring is enabled, the phone ring is detected by the modem and wakes the computer.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-turns-on-by-itself.211678/
Relevancy 72.24%

Why would cause my computer to turn off by itself? It's not hot. I bought the cooling fans. Help

Relevancy 72.24%

What would you do in this situation?:

You leave your computer on all the time, and all this time you have had no problems. Starting last month you have found the computer off. This has happened about 10 times. Sometimes you must reach around the case and turn the power switch off and then on before the main boot-up button will work. A few times lately you have found Windows XP in a semi-frozen state (the screen is black and you can do no more than see and move the mouse pointer).

Perhaps I might have a virus? My only antivirus is AVG and my modem is NetZero dial-up. I have backed up my files - next step?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/win-xp-pro-computer-turns-self-off.636841/
Relevancy 72.24%

So i wanted to format an older hard drive i had, so i plugged it into my desktop pc and when i pushed the power button the computer started to turn on, then after about 3 seconds turned off, then another three seconds it turned back on automatically and did nothing. It seemed to be running, but there was no display, no nothing. So i took the second hard drive back out of the computer, and the same thing happened. I checked the connections on my master HD but found no issues....and now im stuck with a non-functioning desktop... any ideas???

A:Computer turns on, then off, then on....

any ideas???

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-turns-on-then-off-then-on.602956/
Relevancy 72.24%

Hi all I have a problem, I don't know what is the matter, my computer turns itself suddenly off and doesn't go back on. If you keep trying to turn it on it gives a red light and a beep.Three short beeps and than pause then again three short beeps...etc It might go on again but then without warning the same thing.
We had it wiped clean, scanned constantly (when it is on) and took it to the shop twice to check and got on both occasions new memory.
You guessed it STILL the problem is there.
does anyone have an idea what the problem might be and hopefully also a solution!

thanx guys
cheers

A:Computer turns itself off,

Is this a lap top or a desktop?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/408930/computer-turns-itself-off/
Relevancy 72.24%

My computer turns off and on and off and on I thought I needed some utilities or something so I bought Norton Systemworks I have scanned for viruses etc Fixed lots and on and turns off off on Computer and of stuff But when I try Norton WinDoctor Wizard and scan the Windows Registry ActiveX com sections the scanning seems to get stuck on a CLSID A -D - - - BOD CA Then the computer shuts down and goes to a black and white screen that says Reboot with CD If I turn the computer off manually at that point then back on Windows XP will start up Then I get a message about quot Computer turns off and on and off and on Error Computer turns off and on and off and on loading C Windows Bxxs dll quot If I say OK sometimes I then get or three of those Microsoft Computer turns off and on and off and on send don t send messages Finally this whole process takes about minutes I am able to log on The other scans work fine and as long as I am actively using the computer it doesn t seem to shut down But if I go answer the phone or take a break for too long again the computer turns off and on and off and on Can anyone help me nbsp

A:Computer turns off and on and off and on

Jordan1

I would suggest you download a copy of Grisofts FREE Anti-Virus program.

http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php

More than once it has found problems on my system that Nortons missed.
You can also do a free virus scan here, http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Doc

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-turns-off-and-on-and-off-and-on.276678/