Windows Support Forum

Solved: computer turns on for a few then turns off on its own

Q: Solved: computer turns on for a few then turns off on its own

hello im trying to figure out what is causing this this problem in for few own turns a turns on on computer its Solved: then off my computer i just got a new asrock g m-s r mother board because my old motherboards pci slot stopped working and now after putting everything together the computer will turn on for about seconds and then shuts itself off this is really frustrating any help would be appreciated edit i also want to mention that i bought new ram with the motherboard Edit i Solved: computer turns on for a few then turns off on its own also got it to go into bios once but it shut off while i was in it as well Ok so another edit after searching the forums i have been trying many things to find the problem still cant figure it out tho things i have tried i have removed everything from the motherboard such as Graphics card sound card hard drive dvd drives and the ram even the front panel usb i did this by taking them out one by one never putting them back in and testing by turning it back on this is still very frustrating any help would be appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Solved: computer turns on for a few then turns off on its own

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 108.36%

After getting a couple blue screens I am having the following issue When I turn my computer on the fans and drives all start up After approx seconds the computer shuts itself off After another seconds the computer turns itself back on again This time it stays on but i have no monitor output I don t hear a beep video Computer on has turns then turns no output off back on, turns but which tells me it is probably not posting I have read a few other threads that have a similar issue but not the same I am thinking it is either the mobo GPU or PSU I would like any guidance and assistance that you guys can give me on this specifically what i should look at first and how to diagnose Thanks system specs below ASUS P Q Pro ATX Intel Motherboard Intel Core Duo E GHz LGA W Dual-Core Processor EVGA GeForce GTX Core -P - -AR Video Card Antec EA W Power Supply OCZ GB x GB -Pin DDR PC Dual Channel Kit Memory nbsp

A:Computer turns on, turns off then turns back on but has no video output

Motherboard Short

I have helped somebody who had a similar issue and it was the motherboard being shorted out by the case. We took the motherboard out of the case and it booted up just fine. Something you might want to try before purchasing new components.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-turns-on-turns-off-then-turns-back-on-but-has-no-video-output.152198/
Relevancy 95.89%

Hi

My friends computer turns on for 5 seconds and turns off and during that 5 seconds preiod the computer makes a weird noise like beping sound.
His computer is Dell and its XP iam affarid i dont have much of his computers specs. If any one can suggest how he could solve it.

thank you for reading and helping

A:my friends computer turns on for 5 seconds and turns off again automaticly plz help

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-friends-computer-turns-on-for-5-seconds-and-turns-off-again-automaticly-plz-help.850533/
Relevancy 94.6%

I have an external DVD CDRW drive that keeps being added then removed added then removed. That is all that it does. You know how Windows XP does. It plays that little two tone sound each time a device is added or removed...it is so annoying. I cannot use the drive as it does not stay "added" long enough. I am stumped...I have never heard anything like it. Have you?

A:External DVD CDRW Drive turns off, turns on, turns off...etc.

Did the unit ship with drivers? ?
It also might be a cable issue. Inspect that cable or try a new one and or another USB port. If you have it on the front of the case try it on a rear USB port. I've seen machines where the front ports carried less power than the rear ones.

patio.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-dvd-cdrw-drive-turns-off-turns-on-turns-off-etc.24677/
Relevancy 94.17%

My computer turns off then pressed again and turns on fine. This maybe due i went cheap and got a psu with case but i believe it needs to warm up for it to turn on.

Thanks for the help!

Relevancy 94.17%

So, I installed Vista yesterday and it was working like a charm and last night I turned the computer off.

I woke up this morning, pressed the power button, lights/fans/computer came on for a few seconds (3 seconds approximately) and then the computer just shut off instantly, then another 3 secondsish later it turned back on and did the same thing, and it keeps doing it.
The only way I could fix it was by unplugging the power cable and turning off the switch at the power socket, I thought it may was a one-off thing.

I left the computer on, got back about 6 hours later and the computer was off (nobody turned it off, no power blackouts etc), I turned it on and it did the same thing. So I had to turn it off at the power etc and it boots up fine and it works.

This wasn't happening until I installed Vista.

Thanks in advance.

A:Computer turns on for a few seconds then turns off [loop]

I just realised, I haven't been shutting the computer down, just been clicking the power button in the Start Menu (which I have just realised isn't shut down - hovered over it: Keeps your session in memory and puts the computer in a low-power state so that you can quickly resume working). I'm fair sure this is "Sleep" (Vista noob).
I just went into Power Options and saw that Sleep was set to 1 hour, so I'm assuming:

* Last night I put my computer into sleep
* Today it went into sleep by itself (after 1 hour)

Therefore it's a problem with the sleep mode?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/computer-turns-on-for-a-few-seconds-then-turns-off-loop-388872.html
Relevancy 90.73%

So when I plug the LAN cord in to the computer the lights on the LAN card turn on. But when I turn on the computer the LAN card turns off. I've installed the most recent drivers and still nothing. Is there something that I am missing?

A:Lan Card Turns off When computer turns on?!

Make and model of computer?
Make and model of the LAN card?

What, if any, error messages are you getting?
Have you gone into Properties for the LAN card to see if it has any diagnostics?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lan-card-turns-off-when-computer-turns-on.876462/
Relevancy 90.73%

When I boot up my computer or restart, and not always but most times, audio from my home web page of ESPN comes on. No web pages have been opened. I can adjust the audio. If I go to the web page I can see which videos the audio came from and if I open them they are behind. It just goes away after a bit 5-10 minutes. Any way to know which port is open or if there is a problem. I am on DSL.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/when-computer-turns-on-web-audio-turns-on-305448.html
Relevancy 90.73%

Ok so I m computer and back right on then turns turns off having a problem with building my computer I used to have a working gaming pc but i decided to upgrade so i upgraded my case my motherboard and my PSU After i re-built everything and was planning on turning it on all the fans started spinning and the Led s turned computer turns on and then turns right back off on but only for about seconds it then turned off What i figured out is that whenever my CPU cable is plugged in this happens but when it is unplugged it doesn t shut off but also no Bios shows up The HSF always spins very slowly and slowly stops working My Motherboard doesn t have onboard graphics so i need a GPU Pleeeeeaaaase help me i really want it to work and sorry for the nooby question I have seen similar problems on other Forums but i didn t quite get it and i thought with my specifications it would be easier for me to understand Here are my specs Motherboard gigabyte FXA-UD PSU Corsair RM Processor AMD FX GPU AMD radeon vtx d and case probably unnecessary thermaltake level gt snow edition And ps Pleeeeaaaase help nbsp

A:computer turns on and then turns right back off

Processor: AMD FXClick to expand...

You didn't fully describe the AMD FX processor you have. Here is the supported list of FX processors for that motherboard.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-turns-on-and-then-turns-right-back-off.1130433/
Relevancy 90.73%

First off hello fellow tech peoples Now to business Specs - ASUS Maximus Vi Hero - Intel i - k - NVIDIA GTX Ti - x GB RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum - Corsair H i - Corsair RM PSU The Issue As I ve mentioned the computer either goes -OR- Off Computer On Contin On and Turns Twice and Off Turns into two states it either starts up fine until about error code - CSM Initialization then pops back down to and shuts off It then proceeds to turn on again for a split second before turning all the way off and never back on again The second state is that it turns off again at error code and turns back on but it will infinitely repeat this process Both states do not display anything on screen and do not boot into the BIOS screen Tried and failed solutions - I ve already checked up on the POST Checklist and Computer Turns On and Off Twice -OR- Turns On and Off Contin tried all solutions - Everything is firmly connected everything that CAN be connected IS connected - I ve tried to start it up with every combination of RAM sticks in all slots in slots and a single slot as well as none at all still get the error no RAM installed gives me error - All components are firmly seated in their respective slots - The PSU is a newly acquired one straight out of the box - I ve disconnected each component and tested it without them and have still received the same problem - I ve tried resetting the CMOS battery to no avail - I initially believed it to be an inoperable case fan but I got that working and it still gives me the same problem - I ve also tried plugging in the PSU to both a wall outlet and surge protector Both haven t had any effect If it helps a bit prior to this problem when starting up the computer only the PSU fan would spin for a split second No power to the rest of the motherboard just to the PSU and it wouldn t power on again unless I unplugged the PSU s main cable from the wall I ve been tearing my ears off trying to get this thing to work for the past hours at this point I m absolutely spent I m starting to think that it might be the motherboard that s gone AWOL but I can t tell for sure Any help regarding this is extremely appreciated nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-turns-on-and-off-twice-or-turns-on-and-off-contin.1157475/
Relevancy 90.73%

okay so i am able to turn my computer on for a few seconds but then it automatically shuts itself off after a few seconds but the thing is after letting it sit for a couple seconds it says something about how the clocks on my processor have been overclocked too high and asks if it wants me to restore them, so i do that and then the computer works fine, but then when i turn it off and turn it back on it does the exact same thing until i get that message again.

any ideas on how i can fix this?

i've tried manually reducing the clocks on my cpu even though they were already at stock clocks and that didnt work

system specs:
windows 7 ultimate 64bit
intel core 2 quad q6600 @ 2.4ghz standard clocks
4gb ddr2-800 ram
ati hd 4760 1gb ddr3

please and thank you

A:computer turns on for a few seconds then turns off

Try resetting the bios on the motherboard.

You can do this by opening up the computer and remove the battery and then reinstall. There are also a jump to do the samething, but you have to look at your motherboards manual /user guide to see where it's located.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/246355-computer-turns-few-seconds-then-turns-off.html
Relevancy 90.73%

I leave my computer on for a long times like 1-4 weeks at a time so that may be part of the problem but it doesn't get really hot (it has 7 fans so yea) but back to the problem when its started i turned it on and i wasn't looking and then it turned off (still not looking) and it turned off again and then it on (looking this time) and i saw it booting up then i saw it froze at the windows 7 logo and then either i turned it off or it turned its self off then. Now when i turn it on it turns its self off after few seconds. but when i leave it alone for a day it stays on for 5-15 seconds.
If you can please help me!
my specs: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-AMD-FX-8350-4-0GHZ-16GB-DDR3-500GB-38496000-/201156598215?

Relevancy 85.14%

Hi I m having trouble with two of my desktops Desktop Problem When all cords and such are plugged in I press the power button The desktop turns on for about - seconds and then HELP! restarts turns repeatedly, black turns on to on and screen Desktop other restarts The bios doesn t flash the os doesn t boot As far as I can tell the desktop restarts indefinitely Any ideas what s going on here --Desktop Type HP Pavilion a W I found someone with a similar problem here Desktop Problem HELP! Desktop turns on and restarts repeatedly, other turns on to black screen I bought some M Dust Remover a few days ago I disconnected power along with everything else from a desktop of mine Pulled the cover off and started blowing the dust out of the case I put everything back together plugged it in and the desktop doesn t work It boots to a blank screen with the the power and hard drive led s stuck on on the front of the desktop The led on the back of the power supply turns on I can hear the hard drive spin up it detects the cd dvd drives floppy drive and then just hangs with the led s stuck on Anyone have an idea what might be going on here --Desktop Type Compaq Presario S NX Thanks for the help I m hoping to get atleast one of these back online w o buying a whole new desktop -Chris nbsp

A:HELP! Desktop turns on and restarts repeatedly, other turns on to black screen

Hi….

Desktop 1:

Do you see anything on your screen at all while this is happening?

Have you tried to press the setup key to see if the BIOS will come up and make changes?

Do you have any USB devices (other than keyboard or mouse) hooked up? If so, try disconnecting them and see if it will at least POST or attempt to go into the OS.

WARNING: Before checking the capacitors, disconnect the power cord on your system and press & hold the POWER button to allow the power to discharge! Also, you should always ground yourself before touching computer components to prevent static discharge!

Just FYI, some of the motherboards in this series of HP’s have issues with the capacitors.

You should take a look at the capacitors to see if the tops of them are raised or discolored. Also, if you put your finger on the top of the capacitors, they should feel as if they are INDENTED and not flush or raised. Raising or discoloration (up to and including a black tar looking substance on the tops indicate a leaking capacitor).

Desktop 2:

Any POST sounds (beeps) produced at all?

Have you tried the monitor from Desktop 1 on this one?

Anything at all displayed on the monitor, to include CHECK CABLE message?

Recommendation: Open the case again and ensure that all the cards, memory, drive cables and so forth are all connect properly and not loose or dislodged.

Do you know how to RESET your BIOS to default using the onboard jumpers?

Here is a detailed link on troubleshooting this issue:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...cc=us&dlc=en&product=338684&rule=4566&lang=en

Thanks and keep us up-to-date!

Shane

Found another good link:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...788&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=338684&lang=en

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-desktop-turns-on-and-restarts-repeatedly-other-turns-on-to-black-screen.666195/
Relevancy 84.71%

Somtimes I turn it on and it stays on for about three seconds then turns off then on for another three seconds somtimes the lights are very dim red and the fan barly spins and most of the time it dosnt even turn on. Will this happend to me about three month ago and one day it just started working normally but now its been broken for a while and I tried to fix the power button I seen that was the problem on some forums but that didn't work I tried alot of things but nothing seems to work and just turned it off one day and it stopped working so i dont know if its the power source but just give me something to try please.

A:My comp turns on for 5seconds and turns off or dosnt turn on at all

Have you tried checking on the fan/ ventilation? i use to have this problem with my P3. fan was jam with debris/ dust. when i boot up, it was fine, once i go in to window it freeze. After i got the fan moving (cleaning the dust) it works fine.

Hope it works for you.

Oh, Zenosincks mght have a point there too. Thought my experience was on the CPU. Cheers,

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-comp-turns-on-for-5seconds-and-turns-off-or-dosnt-turn-on-at-all.99341/
Relevancy 84.71%

Trying to build a system for my brother. I put the 3200+ Athlon XP CPU in and with the heatsink. It turns on for maybe a few seconds and then turns off.

People were saying heatsink but I have tried it on 2, one is the ALK-800A, then some CoolerMaster one. I have to admit the CoolerMaster was originally from my 2100+ setup but still, it's all copper.

I do notice when I remove the CPU, it stays turned on. I know pretty sure this CPU works as I tested like hours before I put it in my brothers. Cant do that now since it was a quite a drive back home from college.

Jumpers? Settings? Anything?

Relevancy 84.71%

I HAVE READ OTHER SIMILAR THREADS ------ My PC actually has the fans turns few shuts after on off seconds, PC retarded, back turns lights AND can t even get anywhere on the BIOS gb ram GT GHz Intel Pentium D gb HD CD ROM Foxconn P A mobo My mom took my PC away from me I got it back and it is retarded now I start the PC the fans come on lights are all good then PC turns retarded, shuts off after few seconds, turns back on about - seconds it shuts off and then comes back on by itself When I turn the power on the monitor does not show anything at all I have tried many of different things Different PSU problem is not the PSU D C the CD ROM HD so it can t be one of those as PC turns retarded, shuts off after few seconds, turns back on a failure stick of RAM my memory is fine Checked ALL of my cables they are connected properly checked many of times unconnected then reconnected alot Replaced the grease between heat sink CPU can t be my CPU or overheating problem Heat sink Fan is properly mounted not loose at all and is flat All of the aluminum capacitors on the mother board are perfectly fine not leaking and PC turns retarded, shuts off after few seconds, turns back on are on proper Reset the mother board a few times well thats MOST of the stuff I have done there is probably more but I can t think of what else I have tried at the moment And BTW can t access BIOS so don t ask if I can get into it Any help would be appreciated nbsp

A:PC turns retarded, shuts off after few seconds, turns back on

Reset the mother board a few times....Click to expand...

Do you mean you have tried resetting the bios jumper, on the Motherboard?
If not do that.

Also, have you tried disconnecting all HDD; Floppy; CD data cables (from the motherboard end (actually I'd do case fan too and front USB connection to motherboard)
If this works, you will need to put one back in at a time, until you find the problem

Usually this fault is related to faulty Ram or CPU

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-turns-retarded-shuts-off-after-few-seconds-turns-back-on.100697/
Relevancy 84.71%

Referring to a Toshiba Tecra 9100, model no: PT910E-602SF-EN

The power button normally doesn?t turn it on at all, though occasionally it boots up normally, starts to load windows, then always cuts out after 5-15 seconds anyway.

It still charges up the batteries fine, but won?t turn on. I?ve checked the ram, hard-drive, and I re-set the bios to defaults - nothing stops it from cutting out if you can get it to turn on.

Any ideas what could be the problem? Any help appreciated, it?s the second time one I?ve had - the same problem last time!

Thanks

A:Tecra 9100 turns on intermittently, and turns off after 10-15 seconds

Hey,

Have you already tried cleaning the fan? Maybe a lot of dust is blocking the fan so the notebook can?t start and turns off itself due a higher temperature. It would be worth a try cleaning it.

But in my opinion you have everything done what you can do and it looks like a mainboard malfunction. If cleaning the fan doesn?t help I think the mainboard is defective or something else. If you are familiar with notebook disassembling you can try to repair it yourself with second hand parts. Otherwise it?s time for a new notebook I think?

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?61352-Tecra-9100-turns-on-intermittently-and-turns-off-after-10-15-seconds
Relevancy 83.85%

my computer turns on,, i see the windows windows xp logo but then it turns off by it self.help!!!

A:my computer turns on but then it turns off

Don't worry - This is a common issue - I ask, can you boot into the OS using SAFE MODE?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/my-computer-turns-on-but-then-it-turns-off-363999.html
Relevancy 83.85%

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post but i was wondering if anyone could help me with my computer A few days ago when i went to turn on my computer it powered on but didnt post then seconds later it powered itself off Right after this it proceeded My turns Help please, computer turns off then itself on to cycle through powering itself on and off continuously till i shut it off Nothing appears on the screen and all the fans are spinning When i tried to replace the power supply it seemed to be fixed and i used the computer for an hour or so before it froze i reset it and from that point on it has Help please, My computer turns on then turns itself off gone back to powering on and off again I ve had the computer for about - years and if it helps the specs are as follows Intel CPU not Help please, My computer turns on then turns itself off overclocked Gigabyte GA-X -DS XFX GTX Cosair x mb DDR Ram Coolermaster PSU w RS- -asaa-a GB SATA Harddrive I havent replaced any parts in the computer at all Any help would be greatly appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 82.99%

Today i got this Gateway W350a T-Series T-1625 Notebook,
the client told me tha it just stopped working .
so i turn her on an the fan starts for about 3 seconds the lights
turn on too but then she turns off the screen stays black because
it turns off so quick has anybody had this issue before ?Im going
to take her apart and make sure everything is ok inside but im allways
looking for advised.

Thanks for any help in advanced

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/gateway-notebook-turns-off-for-a-quick-second-than-turns-off.1044369/
Relevancy 82.99%

Hey guys I need help, during startup Windows Firewall turns off upon system startup and then turns back on a few minutes later, then network connections open up to finish up my bootup process. I have SP3, and this little problem is causing my computer to startup slowly significantly. I have tried scanning for viruses and spyware and have found none, so I really don't know what's causing this to happen.

A:Firewall turns off and upon startup and then turns back on

That's normal, in my experience.

Not just with Windows firewall but any other firewall I've played with...the network connection is the last line of system defense when the system boots.

The firewall won't allow contact with the Internet...until the system is totally setup and out of danger. The firewall activates (along with the other startup items), then the network connection is made.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/348323/firewall-turns-off-and-upon-startup-and-then-turns-back-on/
Relevancy 82.99%

Seems I have the same issues as "someonedying" had,

here's my spec.

CPU - Intel Core i5 760 - LGA1156
MoBo - ASUSTeK P7P55D-E LX
RAM - 2pcs of Corsair Dual-Channel DDR3 2GB
VidCard - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470
PSU - Fortron/FSP Everest 80Plus 800

when I turn my computer on, all the lights, the fans together with the MoBo lights turns on for 1 second, then it turns off for 3-4 seconds then turns on again until the OS loads..

when I restart my computer, this doesn't happen anymore.. It only occur when I completely turn the computer and UPS off..

I bought this system a month ago. I have to option to bring this to the shop where I bought it but I want to know what the possible issues are.. Most of computer shops here in our country replaces some parts w/o the owner's knowledge.. >.<

Please help.. Thanks =)

A:My PC, turns off for 3 seconds after turning on then turns back on

Seriously, I'd take this back to the shop and have them fix this at their expense. I would also take note of the parts you have now and compare them when it is returned.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-pc-turns-off-for-3-seconds-after-turning-on-then-turns-back-on.157147/
Relevancy 82.99%

Hello I m looking for some advice and guidance I am not a technical expert on computer hardware I understand the basics and that s about the extent of it My current PC is a Dell desktop tower it runs Windows it uses an Intel Core Duo processor It is a few years old I d estimate or years old I plug my PC into a Belkin surge protector multi-outlet device which plugs into the wall electrical outlet My problem is that recently the PC randomly has been instantly powering-down and then a few seconds later powering-up again and rebooting This happens twice or turns then randomly turns quickly PC off on itself back times a day on average I have no explanation for it I do know that it s highly annoying and I m concerned and want to do something to fix this problem before any permanent damage occurs to PC randomly turns off then quickly turns itself back on my PC Last week I searched the internet PC randomly turns off then quickly turns itself back on briefly for advice and the two possible causes that popped-up in search results were A overheating or B issues with the power cord Given that over the past week in my spare time I have totally rerouted all the cords and wires behind PC randomly turns off then quickly turns itself back on my computer desk to ensure that no wires were tangling pulling or weighing-down on the power cord for my PC I also totally dusted out the cabinet and backside of the PC tower and gently vacuumed the quot fan quot area on the back of the PC to ensure it was free of dust and lint I removed some random objects from the PC cabinet CD s mice keyboard etc to ensure that there was plenty of quot airflow quot around the PC tower presumably to ensure no overheating I rerouted several electronics that previously shared the Belkin multi-outlet device to another electrical outlet in the room I m not sure if any of these actions was helpful or not but I know that my PC is still having the same original power-off power-on issue no change I also updated and ran the quot Malwarebytes quot anti-malware software and the full scan showed no infections problems identified I am at a loss at this point and would appreciate any help or advice I ve owned several PC s over the past decade or so and I ve never encountered this problem with any of them nbsp

Relevancy 82.99%

I just swapped my PSU and GPU with RMA ones, swapped out all power cables with new ones and reconnected everything.Tested PSU by itself. It works.It was working prior to me taking out the parts for RMA, but one of those hardware were causing shut-downs.Now when I push the button power after putting in the new parts and connecting everything, it'll start up then stays shut off with the 2 phase LEDs lit up. A green and a yellow.Any suggestions to what the problem is?

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,158604.0.html
Relevancy 82.56%

Old Gateway 2000.......P1

When I turn the computer on, it gets about 2 screens into checking the system.........then it shuts down and turns itself off.
When I first powered this one up, I had to start it 3 times before it would stay on.

Now that I've done the work I want to the computer, and it's all ready for an owner, it still does it, but only once or twice before it stays on..........?

Any thoughts?

Thanks all!

Relevancy 82.56%

HELLO THERE ..I HAVE A FRIENDS COMPUTER HERE..when you turn it on ..it starts up you can hear it going but...thats all it does! there is a new power supply in it i tried hooking up another hard drive figureing the drive was bad..nothing...tried to open the cd rom wont work not even a light on itput in old cd rom i had it opened up but when i attached the rom to the board..it wont open unattach it and it works(with ribbon cables)the monitor i have (2 of them)will not workwhen attached. i dont know what is on it i think win 2000!there is 266 mb ram....dont knowif pentium or celeron or what speed...any body got ideas...thanx boogey

Relevancy 82.56%

When the power button is pushed my friend's computer turns on and off repeatedly and will not boot up. It is a Hewlett Packard running Windows Vista. Does this sound like the power supply?

Relevancy 82.56%

It's a desktop with Windows 7.

Turn the power on and the fans start going but nothing appears on the monitor. I tried another monitor and cable but still nothing, so something must be wrong with the computer itself. Can anyone help me figure out what is wrong with it?

Relevancy 81.7%

I have a Koolance PC2 601 watercooled case that just started this bit of weirdness: When I push the power on button on the case front, the computer starts up and runs for 3 seconds then turns off. If I continually push the power button at 2 second intervals, it stays on. Any clue as to what may be causing this to happen? Nothing has been added to this computer for at least 6 months. I'm perplexed

A:Solved: Computer turns on for 3 seconds

When you say it stays on, does it just stay on or does it actually work properly and boot up?

Could be that the front case power or reset buttons are sticking, what happens if you disconnect both of them and just short the two power pins on the motherboard with a screw driver?

It could also be a loose CPU heatsink, if its come loose or broken off then the CPU could be overheating and causing a shutdown. If its not booting but just staying on it could also be a faulty power supply.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-computer-turns-on-for-3-seconds.602200/
Relevancy 81.7%

I just built a new computer and last night it worked fine when I powered it on. I tried to start it up this morning, it gets through detecting all the drives then starts to load windows, then shuts off. I am at my wits end with this thing. I am not a pro, but I know basics.Can anyone help?

Relevancy 81.7%

Hi there,

We recently bought a new computer from Tiny,
everything was working pretty well, until we bagan
to notice that the computer was turned on when
neither me or my dad had turned it on.

I thought that this may have been due the computer
being set to turn itsself on in order to acquire updates.

But i began to feel that this wasn't the reason, because
although the computer would turn on itsself, it wouldn't
try to connect to the internet.

Anyhow, i disabled the automatic updates which seems
to have no effect, our computer remains to turn itsself on.

Could the problem be solved by changing one of the settings
under the power management options ? i haven't yet tried this,
as my dad is fearfull that i may do something wrong.

I am using windows xp home edition

any information you guys have on this matter, would be most
appreciated.

Regards

Ricky

Relevancy 81.7%

I am Computer malicious turns Solved: going to post specs first so that you know what I am working with for the duration Solved: Computer turns malicious of the post CPU-AMD FX- Eight Core processor with Hyper plus Motherboard-Asus Sabertooth FX R AM GPU-EVGA GeForce GTX Ti BOOST Superclocked Video Card - GB GDDR PSU-Thermaltake SMART M W SP- M Modular Power Supply - Watt RAM-Kingston HyperX Red GB Window bit I have all current drivers and updates for all the games I play I just recently bought a PC and decided to buy Battlefield on it as I loved the console version At first It ran fine I could play for hours on end with no problems at all After a month or so of no problems games started to randomly Solved: Computer turns malicious shut down Solved: Computer turns malicious my system the screen would start to tear then turn black and shut down Battlefield and Planetside So I first thought I would try lower settings thinking that maybe my computer was unable handle so much even when it previously did So I tried auto and custom with everything set to the lowest it can go It still crashed I then thought the CPU was getting too hot since it is AMD s FX- and I heard that some people were having that issue At this point I did not know that their was a way to check the temperature of the CPU as I am pretty new to computer s So I decided to buy some case fans and a Hyper plus now I am averaging between C- C for all components even during benchmarks After having them installed and talking to the computer expert I took it to he said that it was not temperature problems but a GPU problem For some reason Action Center never told me that there was a problem and still to this day will only randomly show that the computer has crashed X number of times So I ran both Heaven and Valley on the highest settings at super low frame-rates with no problems no tearing crashes etc I then called EVGA they gave me some suggestions like turning my pre-rendered frames down to along with others that I cannot fully remember though I should of wrote them down I also borrowed a friends EVGA and the computer crashed using it as well Now Spec Ops The Line is also crashing my system as well So far nothing has helped and I have came to the conclusion that is high intensity games that crash my system I then posted on an EA forum and on this site and got some help from fellow gamers they asked if I could run memtest prime and post my motherboard voltages So I ran memtest for about hours and prime for about the same with no problems Then action center decided to randomly open again and showed me it had dmp files available Which I preceded to post and will re-post them down below they should be in attachments Sreen-capture is idle is after about minutes of BF which usually crashes it and is after XCOM which has not crashed my system yet My voltages in BIOS are different than what HW Monitor shows at VCore- V- V- V- V- One advised that I look for help in the hardware section and then I never heard back from anyone My ultimate question is for help what is going on in these games why could I run them fine for months then experience problems Also what can I do to fix this issue Do I need new parts or what Like I said I am completely new to computers and any help is hugely appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 81.7%

After taking apart my homebuilt computer yesterday for some routine cleaning, I reassembled it and it no longer boots. When I press the power button all the fans come on, and my Hard Drive LED blinks 3 times but nothing displays on my monitor. The LED continues to blink three times every ten seconds or so, but I haven't been able to find any information on blink codes for my hard drive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Does anyone have any ideas for what I can try to fix this thing? I hope this is enough information, but if not just tell me what you need to know.

Relevancy 81.7%

Hello everyone I am Computer signal. turns no on Solved: but having a problem with my parents pc The computer in question is mounting an asrock Alive NF P and the main problem is that even tho it turns on it doesn t show much on the screen At times but now it s been a while I have luck getting something on screen keeping pressed with no power on the power button I heard it resets the bios But after that it wouldn t work properly Solved: Computer turns on but no signal. the keyboard didn t work for example And whenever I Solved: Computer turns on but no signal. restarted I didn t have signal on the monitor again I thought the problem was the PSU both the old one and new one are w so I changed it with another one which was correctly functioning I was using it before I bought a new one but the problem is still there I thought the battery in the mobo had drained off but changing it had no effect I even tried putting on an old GPU but completely functional I tested it an ATI but still no signal Last time I got some signal it got stuck in the startup with the following error quot CMOS checksum error quot Now I am completely stuck and can t get any signal anymore I am suspecting a mobo failure Any ideas Thanks for the help nbsp

Relevancy 81.7%

I do the tech work for a small family business and they have a Dell Dimension 4600 (2.4Ghz, 2.5GB RAM, 80GB HD) that recently developed a problem.

I was told that every time the person plugs the power into the computer, it starts up automatically. As I'm told, he doesn't have to turn on the power button on the front of the CPU, it just starts up and runs normally.

The only recent changes I made to the computer was installing a new backup program (Macrium Reflect) and I recently installed 2GB (2x1GB) of RAM. Does anyone have any initial ideas on what the problem may be?

Thanks!

Relevancy 81.7%

Ok say a few days ago i was moving my computer and then it later fell over. now i've plugged it back in and am having problems. the computer turns on but the monitor acts like its on standby (light on front flashes like its on standby) could something have come loose. Please help not real smart about computers

A:[SOLVED] My computer turns on but not monitor

Quote:

Originally Posted by blondejojo1008

Ok say a few days ago i was moving my computer and then it later fell over. now i've plugged it back in and am having problems. the computer turns on but the monitor acts like its on standby (light on front flashes like its on standby) could something have come loose. Please help not real smart about computers

loose maybe one possibility, check the graphic card... if its an integrated graphic card, maybe theres something wrong with your hard drive.. casue these things are so fragile... do you hear any tickling sound anywhere?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-my-computer-turns-on-but-not-monitor-272128.html
Relevancy 81.7%

My computer restarts randomly depending on how Solved: Computer off turns randomly long in between the times it already restarted if i haven t used it in a few days it works for a few hours and if it has turned of anywhere from min to hours it only stays on for a few secs to a couple of minuets I have tried replacing almost everything Including Power supply ram hard drive unplugging everything unnecessary Video Card Mouse and keyboard Network stuff just the power cord and monitor left in I m sure the processor is not Solved: Computer turns off randomly over heating sense i ran programs to check the temp and it shuts down even if the the core and everything is below and the processor is cool to the touch What has me stumped is I can replace the hard drive with a spare one with Windows XP freshly on it and it will still restart I have tried to disable all the network drivers installed on my computer Any suggestions or thoughts would be great Even if you dont think it could be the problem The computer has a w Power supply OCZ Tech AMD Processor not over clocked Gigs ram A-DATA GTO Video Card PNY M N -LA Mother board It s out of a Compact Think its ASUS Running Windows Vista -Bit All Solved: Computer turns off randomly Updates Tried running it like w Power Supply AMD Processor Ram Onboard Video M N -LA Mother Board Windows Vista and XP both -Bit nbsp

Relevancy 81.7%

And sometimes won t turn back on for a while turns off... randomly Computer Solved: At first I thought there might be a short in one of the connections inside or maybe a dieing power supply Those might still be true but I remembered that this started after I told my computer to quot sleep quot after hours That is when it began randomly crashing I ve already turned off sleep but the problem persists My computer will just randomly die Sometimes when I hit the power button after this happens it turns on for a second fans spin lights come on but it dies again before it even gets to the bios Every time it has died it has been when it wasn t in use i e when it was at its lowest level of power consumption Games play fine All my drivers are up to date that I know Solved: Computer randomly turns off... of Any ideas I don t want to take apart my computer if this is a bug in windows nbsp

Relevancy 80.84%

Hi having a few problems with my PC Any help would be greatly appreciated A few weeks ago I came into the office to find my PC was making a strange quot static quot type of noise out of the speakers The computer failed to power up so ordered a new motherboard Fitted the motherboad today and put in a larger PSU It powers up but nothing is displayed on my screen Nothing Computer On Displayed - Screen Solved: On Turns Have tried Solved: Computer Turns On - Nothing Displayed On Screen a PCI Express graphics card and an old PCI graphics card but neither seem to output anything to the screen The PCI Express graphics card was working fine in the computer before it broke Another possible problem would be the CPU rather than the graphics card I have tried different processors the one that was in the previous motherboard and two others but using a different processor doesn t do anything Would it be right to assume that this must be a graphics card problem Could it be something else entirely Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is starting to frustrate me Thanks Michael nbsp

Relevancy 80.84%

Hey there.

After installing my new XFX 9800 I know have had this turning off randomly issue shortly after I got it. What happens is after a little while of playing (around the couple hour mark) my computer just turns off and doesn't turn back on again. Just before my computer turns off my graphics card's fan goes a bit loud. I did look this up and I figure it is a heating issue. So how can I solve this problem? Is there somewhere on my computer where I can check what fans I got? What fan should I get to support this card? And no this turning off issue has not ever happened before I got my new graphics card.

Relevancy 80.84%

Hey guys I just upgraded my PSU today from a Thermaltake W PSU to a Corsair W HX Modular PSU It s all fine and dandy the only problem is is that my computer isn t working properly The computer turns on the fans are spinning and the case lights are lighting up as they should be However there is no signal from the monitor mouse or keyboard The computer does not boot up at all it just turns on and that is it I have checked that all the cables are plugged in properly I have tried releasing the stored electricity by switching the PSU off turning the PC on so it runs briefly for about half PSU on but Computer after does new not turns Solved: boot installation. a second and turning the PSU back on and turning the computer back on To no avail that does not work I have also tried unplugging the power cord into the PSU Solved: Computer turns on but does not boot after new PSU installation. that does not work either Although I have noticed is that when I try to hold the computer down for the seconds for a safe shutdown that doesn t work When I first installed the PSU the PC could shut off from the second shutdown sequence but now it just doesn t do it anymore I also had a half glance at the keyboard with the lights lighting up it did it briefly and now there is no signal from my monitor mouse and keyboard I cannot get into BIOS or anything no splash screen or anything comes up no lights from the mouse and keyboard either But my Thermaltake Mousepad lights up when the PSU is switched on from the back I have also tried unplugging my secondary hard drive and trying to boot with just my main hard drive that also didn t work This is extremely odd can anybody help me out at all I seriously need to use my computer for work and I am a fairly avid gamer I get seriously bored easily My Computer s Specifications Thermaltake Kandalf Full Tower Case ASUS P Q Motherboard GB of DDR MHz Corsair RAM x GB sticks Intel Core Quad Q Galaxy GeForce GB GT Zalman NT CPU Cooler x GB Western Digital SATA Cavier Green Hard Drive primary x GB Seagate SATA Hard Drive secondary W Corsair HX Modular Power Supply just upgraded from a W Thermaltake PSU Viewsonic quot VX Monitor Windows Ultimate x nbsp

A:Solved: Computer turns on but does not boot after new PSU installation.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-computer-turns-on-but-does-not-boot-after-new-psu-installation.879706/
Relevancy 80.84%

I've checked to see that the hard drive is spinning and it is. the hdd access light flashes.i have not checked the ram yes since it's a laptop and difficult to get to. but i'm pretty sure that's not the issue. since from what i've listened to it sounds like it goes through post then sits the fro about thirty seconds probly asking if i want to start windows in safe mode normal. when i just sit there after about that much time has past the cpu fans start going again a little faster and i can here that it's accessing the hard drive but since i can' see anything it's hard to tell if that's true. i'm thinking that it's a bad graphics card but i'm not sure.

A:Solved: Black screen when computer turns on

ok so the problem is that sometimes you can see the picture and sometimes you can't see it. i don't know what causes that but that's what happens. i got it working again. but after it went to sleep the screen never came back on. would that mean that there is something wrong with one of the windows files? i know one of them is the one used to bring the computer back from sleep mode. it's running windows vista. maybe this isn't a hardware issue?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-black-screen-when-computer-turns-on.1006171/
Relevancy 80.84%

Sbautoupdate.exe
Message is something like: Windows thinks that someone has tried to access my documents by setting the clock to the wrong time, and to protect my documents windows is shutting of my computer (Report Code CCB-F)

I do have saved Email messages that have the wrong date by 2 months, but my clock is correct now and I have gone to Control Panel and have changed the time and date, and put it back to the right setting.

I still get this message sometimes, but it hasn't caused the computer to turn off lately. How do I keep the message from appearing?? THANKS BILL

Relevancy 79.98%

my laptop turns on then suddenly turns off after few seconds. any suggestion regarding this issue? is this a common issue on hp laptop? thanks in advance. 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/my-laptop-turns-on-then-suddenly-turns-off/td-p/5761152
Relevancy 79.98%

Hello I own Toshiba Satellite C55-C1984.

Immediatlty after I turn on my laptop, it turns off and turns on again after few seconds with no apparent reason.

Should I worry about this?

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?91055-Satellite-C55-C1984-turns-off-and-turns-on-again
Relevancy 79.98%

I have an older Compaq laptop that usually works fine, but now when I press the power button it just lights up a few of the lights, makes an odd beeping noise and immediately turns off. Nothing appears on the display and it never goes farther than that. I?ve tried a "hard reset" and reseating the ram modules, but neither worked and I have no idea where to go from here.

A:laptop turns on for 1-2 seconds then turns off

Welcome nabbed_clones.

Could you mention the make and model of your laptop please and explain what the odd beeping noise is (e.g., is it a quick one beep noise, or long beep noise, or many different beeps?) Any other sounds?

(Have you tried turning on the laptop with the mains power plugged in and the battery out?).

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/laptop-turns-on-for-1-2-seconds-then-turns-off-582508.html
Relevancy 79.98%

So as the title says i was playing Diablo 3 and my computer randomly turned off. I had no idea why as i was always able to run the game perfectly and my system does meet the system requirements. I cleaned my fan on my computer of dust to stop it from overheating if that was the problem but it still shut off within about half an hour of my playing.

I have no idea why its doing this. I have been playing this game for about a month and never had this issue. My system meets the requirements and i have no other issues with the game. Does anyone know what the problem is here? I am thinking its something to do with overheating but it makes no sense to me.

Relevancy 78.26%

This morning I came to my computer and it had a BSOD from my wireless adapter driver. This has happened a few times before. But when I turned it off and tried to turn it back on, it wont start! As soon as I press the power button, the lights flash and the fans get one jolt of power causing them to spin and die out immediately and then everything stops in under a seccond. What could be causing this? I did add a new new hard drive to my computer yesterday, but it has restarted fine a few times since then, and unplugging it didn't fix the problem. Other than that, I can't think of anything that is different that would be causing this. Any ideas?

A:Solved: Computer turns off immediately after pushing power button when I turn it on

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-computer-turns-off-immediately-after-pushing-power-button-when-i-turn-it-on.788208/
Relevancy 78.26%

Hi I really appreciate it if someone could help me with this virus malware issue that keeps coming back- I never encountered this before and I m slowly freaking out and getting desperate While browsing a website some forum website using Windows XP SP Firefox Avira AntiVir Windows Firewall I suddenly received a message in my tray saying Windows Firewall had been turned off So I opened the Firewall dialog via Settings not clicking the tray message and turned Windows Firewall back on About - seconds later my PC suddenly turned itsself off closing all my windows I immediately pulled the internet plug out of my computer while it was shutting down and pressed the power button Then I tried to restart first regularly Then I got a blue screen saying a bunch HELP! Off Firewall>Resets MalStuff Solved: Computer>Installs Malware>Turns of stuff about how something was trying to write over something else that was supposed to be read-only I copied this down on paper stop x BE xF Solved: Malware>Turns Off Firewall>Resets Computer>Installs MalStuff HELP! UC FE x AB xA D x B VAX b sys adress f C FE base at F c datastamp c fbc It then recommended restarting in safe-mode F which I did In safe mode I first tried scanning with Ad-Aware Since I had some version I first downloaded the latest version put back the internet plug uninstalled my old version and then tried installing the new version However that didn t work because of some privilege problem I first thought this was because of some virus Vundo but now I think this was because of safe-mode Then I downloaded and ran a FULL scan with MS Malicious Software Removal hours which found infected files I didn t write them all down but one of them was called Alureon J Alureon AW Alureon gen J and another was Renos Then I restarted my PC in full mode which worked no blue screen now But then I encountered the very annoying XP antivirus Since I had still not installed Ad-Aware I first did that and did a FULL scan with that hours It found a bunch of stuff which I deleted Unfortunately the XP antivirus was still present so I followed the Bleeping Computer Guide to remove it http www bleepingcomputer com malware-removal remove-xp-antivirus- - which seemed to work However I did need to restart my computer to remove several of the XP antivirus files on bootup that could not be deleted otherwise Which I did So then when I thought I was finally done I suddenly received a notification that my Firewall was turned off and then like a bad horror movie it started all over again With this I mean again after - seconds my computer turned itsself off So now I immediately restarted it in safe-mode no waiting for the blue screen and went to this forum for help Tech Support Guy I really need you Can anyone PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me I would be very very grateful I m a newby with this sort of stuff so I m desperate Update Here s my HiJackThis log in safe-mode hope that that is okay Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at on - - Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Safe mode with network support Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Lavasoft Ad-Aware aawservice exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http www euro dell com R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www euro dell com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search CustomizeSearch R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main First Home Page http www euro dell com R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Connection Wizard ShellNext http www lavasoft de R - HKC... Read more

A:Solved: Malware>Turns Off Firewall>Resets Computer>Installs MalStuff HELP!

(bump)

Please please please.... help....

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-malware-turns-off-firewall-resets-computer-installs-malstuff-help.760544/
Relevancy 77.4%

Hello everyone Before I start I must warn that I m terrible with computers This is my real first time unplugging the power supply Still I ll try and provide as much information as I can A few days ago my computer turned on but then shut off really quickly like half a second later No power Off Turns Made and For Moment When On Solved: Computer Noise Buzzing Only a Befo Shut was running through it after that and I had to unplug Solved: Computer Only Turns On For a Moment and Made Buzzing Noise When Shut Off Befo it and wait a bit until it would even get any electricity for the half a second the next time I tried The day before it had worked fine and had no problems but I had been hearing a strange buzzing noise for a brief moment when the computer shut down Because this noise came from the back I thought it might have something to do with the power supply I believe my tower Solved: Computer Only Turns On For a Moment and Made Buzzing Noise When Shut Off Befo is a Cooler Master and has multiple different parts installed My mainboard is an MSI GM-P FX The power supply is a Cooler Master RS -PCARD I have an AMD heatsink I changed the power supply for another one that should work and plugged in just the pin into the motherboard and Solved: Computer Only Turns On For a Moment and Made Buzzing Noise When Shut Off Befo the pin near the CPU Nothing happened when I tried this power supply at all It got no power and it didn t even turn on for a moment I tested the two powesupplies via the PSU paperclip test and both started up so I tried my old power supply on my motherboard and now it does the same thing it did before I m not sure why the other power supply seems to not get power Why do you think my computer isn t getting power and what can I do Hopefully someone can reply if I put in more information I m going to try and remove the only RAM I have It is a Corsair XMS GB MHz memory stick nbsp

A:Solved: Computer Only Turns On For a Moment and Made Buzzing Noise When Shut Off Befo

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-computer-only-turns-on-for-a-moment-and-made-buzzing-noise-when-shut-off-befo.1147118/
Relevancy 73.96%

Hello everyone. I have an HP compaq computer with a Samsung SyncMaster 740N monitor. I noticed yesterday the screen was doing something weird. It almost looked like the colors were moving. I turned my computer off and this morning I turn on my computer and the screen pops up for a second and then turns off. I turned my monitor off and on again. The screen comes up, but then turns black. What is the cause? Do I need to get a new monitor?

A:Monitor turns on for a second and turns off

maybe electric power cable is loose connettion. Pls check and change power cable

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/monitor-turns-on-for-a-second-and-turns-off.150725/
Relevancy 73.96%

This problem suddenly happened when I came home from school. I have tryed a new power pack, the same happened, I have tried a new motherboard, the same happened.
I have also tried the trick with the paper clip to see if my power switch is broken, but again its the same problem.

Please help, i am so frustrated

A:HELP - my pc turns on for 1 second, lights up and then turns off.

I don't know if this would be it but I have seen this type of problem on a computer that turned out to have a bad power and reset switch. One way to check to see if this is the case pull off the wires for the power switch and reset button going to your board. Then you would want to find something like a screw driver or something that you could cross the power pins with and see if the machine does the same thing.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-my-pc-turns-on-for-1-second-lights-up-and-then-turns-off.100265/
Relevancy 73.96%

hp z820 turns on and turn off. doesn't show any video. i have changed the powersupply but no results. any help would be appreciated.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/hp-z820-turns-on-and-turns-off/td-p/5682249
Relevancy 72.24%

Can you guys help me My computer turns off when it loads my Computer Turns Off!! My windows the task bar icons and stuff and it also turned off when I was in the BIOS settings This happened days ago Jan and it worked perfectly yesterday and this morning days ago I was playing Battlefield which is a game at My Computer Turns Off!! am- am then turned my computer off Then I turned My Computer Turns Off!! it on at around pm then it started to turn off I tried several times until it worked Then somehow My Computer Turns Off!! it didn t turn off So I tried playing a game and it didn t turned off Next day it didn t turn off And today I played Battlefield at am- am then turned it off then pm- pm then turned off then at pm I tried turning the computer on but it turned off after it loads I changed the Memory Frequency from to because a month ago my I realised I didn t install this software that came with my GA- I P-D GigaByte Motherboard which was years ago which I installed I clicked on this Overclocking thing and the screen was black I don t know if it was on Stand-by then I tried several times then I went into the BIOS settings and I saw MB Intelligent Tweaker M I T I played around with it remember this was months ago I changed Memory Frequency to from Auto to which was months ago So that was why I changed it back to But I don t know whats Memory Frequency I think it is my Ghz cos I have And now it worked after changing it to I m scared it might happen again Is it overheating or the power Sorry if I m confusing you By the way I m And also then I was trying to retry restarting my computer I have to turn off the main power at the back of the box thing and wait for around seconds I m using Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack Build Radeon X XT Card GA- I P-D GigaByte Motherboard Gb Seagate Mb Ram Intel Pentium CPU Ghz Ghz nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-computer-turns-off.676426/
Relevancy 72.24%

Im running XP Home with a Conexent internall modem, and when I pickup the phone or the phone rings, my computer turns itself on.
I have tried disabling the "enable this device to bring the computer out of stand by mode" in POWER MANAGEMENT options for the modem, but still turns on.
Drives me nuts as when I'm away I come home to find the computer on all the time.

Relevancy 72.24%

At first my computer wasn't turning on at all, but then I put it off and on at the power supply and it turned on, but it turns itself off automatically every time after about 15 seconds. It won't turn on at all again unless I turn it off and on again at the supply.

No irregular beeps.. but at startup it has that screen where it usually gives you the option of starting in safe mode etc but there is only Start Windows Normally option. Whether I press it in time or not it turns itself off anyway :( Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am running Windows XP.

A:Computer turns off by itself

Hello & welcome to TSF,

when was the last time that you cleaned the inside of this pc ?

do you know how to open the case to look inside of it so you can see if the fans are turning , there is one on the motherboard that you have to open the case to see !!

it sounds like it is overheating and needs to be cleaned with a can of compressed air , when cleaning it make sure to look at the fan that is on the motherboard for there is a heatsink behind it and it might be plug and preventing the fan from turning or preventing it from cooling the cpu properly

make sure that when useing the compressed air that the liquid inside of it dose not come out and get on any componets / also you can use a 1" soft bristle paint brush to help with the dusting process ( just be gentle )

if this dose not help get back to us

also how old is this pc for your(psu ( power supply unit may be dieing on you ) to which is not that complicated to fix but you may have to buy a new psu to which may cost from $50 to $150 depending on the systems needs

also try putting the old memory/ram back in and see if it will start

Mike

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/computer-turns-off-by-itself-202236.html
Relevancy 72.24%

Hi everyone, I was working on my sony pc when all of the sudden it just restarted as if i had just turned it on. I remember it had happened before, so i just waited for it to restart but this time it would get to my wallpaper and then the blue screen where it says windows is loading and it keeps restarting. it wont let me log in. I am running on windows XP and have not installed any programs or hardware lately. I have also tried running in safe mode but it gives a lot of directory lines. I dont know what they mean. i also just tried to started up again right now and it gave me a dark blue screen that said error : Bad_Pool_Caller. Can someone please help me??? I dont know much about computers

-Thanks

A:Computer Turns off

Hi Happy1323, and welcome to BleepingComputer.Do you have the installation disk for this computer, it you do use the disk to access the Recovery Console.Note: You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order to be able to boot from the Windows installation disk.To run the Recovery Console from the Windows XP startup disks or the Windows XP CD-ROM, follow these steps:1. Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.3. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the]Recovery Console.4. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.5. At the command prompt, type chkdsk /r , and then press ENTER. 6. To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/211702/computer-turns-off/
Relevancy 72.24%

Yesterday afternoon I turned my PC off, then tonight when I got home I found that my PC had turned itself on.
Anyone know how this happenned? I have a Gigabyte GA-7S748 Motherboard, Athlon 2600XP, WinXP.
If this is some setting on the PC, Is there a way to configure when it turns itself on? This would be a handy featue that I would be able to utilise if configured to turn on at the right time.

A:Computer turns on by itself

Some BIOS do have a power on timer setting.

Also if the Wake On Ring is enabled, the phone ring is detected by the modem and wakes the computer.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-turns-on-by-itself.211678/
Relevancy 72.24%

Hello I am on, then turns etc.. off, Computer on then having a problem with my computer and while I m pretty sure the motherboard is to blame I thought I d check for input before I buy a new one My computer has been working wonderfully since I built it sometime in May until yesterday when I went to turn it on Here is what happens when I hit the power switch the computer starts to power up power LED lights up fans start spinning hard drive starts spinning About Computer turns on, then off, then on etc.. seconds after I hit the power button the computer shuts off and stays off for about - seconds then it will turn itself back on but of course only for seconds This cycle of on off on off will continue forever until I either hit the switch on the back of the power supply OR if I hold down the power button for about seconds OK so my first reaction was it had to be a problem with either the motherboard or power supply The first thing I did was unplug everything from the motherboard leaving only the CPU attached the power LED wire and of course the MB power connector and V CPU power connector I then turned the computer on by shorting the power jumpers Same result the CPU fan would twitch the power LED would come on and then shut off turn back on rinse and repeat The next thing I tried was swapping the power supply with a known working one Same result So I m guessing there is something wrong with the motherboard I ve never heard of a problem like this it seems quite weird to me Of course I m not too great with computers so I feel I might be missing something obvious Any ideas on something I might have missed would be appreciated Otherwise its time for a new motherboard Oh I don t have another computer that I can test the CPU on not sure if the CPU could possibly be the problem System Gigabyte GA- P-DS Motherboard rev Intel Core Duo E Mushkin XP - x Gig Antec NeoHE W HE Power Supply XFX GeForce GTS MB WD Caviar SE GB SATA Thanks for any ideas nbsp

A:Computer turns on, then off, then on etc..

I think it may be the power supply unit (PSU). This may be overheating and the thermal cut-out is doing what it should. Check the fan(s) in the PSU work OK - if not, try cleaning them with a small clean paintbrush.
Best bet is to try another PSU - maraginally cheaper and a lot easier to replace than the motherboard.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-turns-on-then-off-then-on-etc.87397/
Relevancy 72.24%

Malware has detected some virous but can complete the scan before computer turns off all for scans below Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at AM on Platform Windows Vista SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot off turns computer mode Normal Running processes C Windows system Dwm exe C Windows Explorer EXE C Windows system taskeng exe C Program Files Realtek Audio HDA RtHDVCpl exe computer turns off C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe C Program Files TOSHIBA Power Saver TPwrMain exe C Program Files TOSHIBA SmoothView SmoothView exe C Program Files TOSHIBA FlashCards TCrdMain exe C Program Files TOSHIBA TECO TEco exe C Program Files TOSHIBA TOSHIBA HDD SSD Alert TosSENotify exe C Program Files TOSHIBA TPHM TPCHWMsg exe C Program Files dcmsvc dcmsvc exe C Program Files Microsoft Security Client msseces exe C Program Files Common Files Java Java Update jusched exe C Program Files Windows Sidebar sidebar exe C Windows ehome ehtray exe C Users Owner AppData Local Akamai netsession win exe C Program Files Windows Media Player wmpnscfg exe C Program Files Motorola MotoConnectService MotoConnect exe C Users Owner AppData Roaming Spotify spotify exe C Users Owner AppData Roaming Spotify Data SpotifyWebHelper exe C Program Files PIXELA ImageMixer SE Ver Transfer Utility CameraMonitor exe C Program Files Microsoft Office Office ONENOTEM EXE C Program Files Warner Bros Digital Copy Manager Warner Bros Digital Copy Manager exe C Users Owner AppData Local Akamai netsession win exe C Windows ehome ehmsas exe C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE Core-Static MOM exe C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE Core-Static CCC exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPHelper exe C Users Owner AppData Roaming Spotify Data SpotifyHelper exe C Users Owner AppData Roaming Spotify Data SpotifyHelper exe C Users Owner AppData Roaming Spotify Data SpotifyHelper exe C Users Owner AppData Roaming Spotify Data SpotifyHelper exe C Users Owner AppData Roaming Spotify Data SpotifyHelper exe C Windows system wbem unsecapp exe C Users Owner AppData Roaming Spotify Data SpotifyHelper exe C Users Owner AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Users Owner AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Users Owner AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Users Owner AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Users Owner AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Windows system SearchFilterHost exe C Users Owner Downloads HijackThis exe R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page about blank R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search CustomizeSearch R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride local lt local gt R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName R - URLSearchHook AIM Toolbar Search Class - responsive popup - C Program Files AIM Toolbar aimtb dll R - URLSearchHook FCToolbarURLSearchHook Class - responsive popup - C Program Files Dogpile Bundle Toolbar Helper dll R - URLSearchHook no name - - no file R - URLSearchHook Quixley KMb Toolbar - responsive popup - C Program Files Quixley KMb prxtbQui dll R - URLSearchHook FCToolbarURLSearchHook Class - responsive popup - C Program Files SocialRibbons LP Helper dll O - BHO Quixley KMb - responsive popup - C Program Files Quixley KMb prxtbQui dll O - BHO AcroIEHelperStub - responsive popup - C Program Files Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelperShim dll O - BHO MediaBar - responsive popup - C PROGRA IMESHA MediaBar ToolBar imeshdtxmltbpi dll file missing O - BHO Java tm Plug-In SSV Helper - responsive popup - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - BHO Windows Live ID Sign-in H... Read more

A:computer turns off

cricketuse,
---------------------------------------------
Symantec did not remove everything as it should. This is a common problem.
To completely remove Norton Antivirus, Download and Run the Norton Removal Tool for your version of Windows.
http://www.symantec.com/norton/supp...e=public_web&docurl=20080710133834EN&ln=en_US
Perform the DownLoad for your version of Windows (download to your desktop as it says).
On your desktop, click on Norton Removal Tool and follow the instructions.
Please Be patient. This tool removes hundreds of files and settings. It will let you know when it's done.
----------------------------------------------
Perform a Custom Fix with OTL
Run OTL (Right click and choose "Run as administrator" in Vista/Win7)

In the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following lines from the Code box (Do not include the word "Code"):

Code:

:Commands
[CREATERESTOREPOINT]

:OTL
IE - HKU\S-1-5-21-1943577299-1749160357-1101987479-1000\..\URLSearchHook: - No CLSID value found
IE - HKU\S-1-5-21-1943577299-1749160357-1101987479-1000\..\URLSearchHook: {2b2505fa-fd68-0144-9128-cd617bdca8c2} - C:\Program Files\SocialRibbons LP2\Helper.dll ()
[2011/09/18 14:47:23 | 000,000,000 | ---D | M] (Searchqu Toolbar) -- C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\wpytcw1y.default\ex tensions\{99079a25-328f-4bd4-be04-00955acaa0a7}(59)
[2011/07/17 23:39:04 | 000,000,000 | ---D | M] ("ArcadeWeb") -- C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\wpytcw1y.default\ex tensions\[email protected]
[2011/09/18 14:34:09 | 000,001,945 | ---- | M] () -- C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\mozilla\firefox\profiles\wpytcw1y.default\se archplugins\bing-zugo.xml
[2012/07/12 10:02:30 | 000,000,000 | ---D | M] (Java Console) -- C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0033-ABCDEFFEDCBA}
File not found (No name found) -- C:\PROGRAM FILES\WINDOWS ILIVID TOOLBAR\DATAMNGR\FIREFOXEXTENSION
File not found (No name found) -- C:\USERS\OWNER\APPDATA\ROAMING\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\WPYTCW1Y.DEFAULT\EX TENSIONS\{12A9DB21-42A2-492D-A85C-CDDE0C88B608}
File not found (No name found) -- C:\USERS\OWNER\APPDATA\ROAMING\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\WPYTCW1Y.DEFAULT\EX TENSIONS\{28387537-E3F9-4ED7-860C-11E69AF4A8A0}
File not found (No name found) -- C:\USERS\OWNER\APPDATA\ROAMING\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\WPYTCW1Y.DEFAULT\EX TENSIONS\{5911488E-9D1E-40EC-8CBB-06B231CC153F}
File not found (No name found) -- C:\USERS\OWNER\APPDATA\ROAMING\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\WPYTCW1Y.DEFAULT\EX TENSIONS\[email protected]
[2011/03/18 14:32:12 | 000,091,552 | ---- | M] (Coupons, Inc.) -- C:\Program Files\mozilla firefox\plugins\npCouponPrinter.dll
[2011/03/18 14:32:14 | 000,091,552 | ---- | M] (Coupons, Inc.) -- C:\Program Files\mozilla firefox\plugins\npMozCouponPrinter.dll
CHR - plugin: Shockwave Flash (Enabled) = C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\NPSWF32.dll
O2 - BHO: (Google Toolbar Notifier BHO) - {AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D} - C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\5.2.4204.1700\swg.dll (Google Inc.)
O3 - HKLM\..\Toolbar: (no name) - 10 - No CLSID value found.

:Files
ipconfig /flushdns /c

:Commands
[emptyjava]
[emptyflash]
[EMPTYTEMP]
Then click the Run Fix button at the top.
Let the program run unhindered, and click to allow the Reboot when it is done.
When the computer Reboots, and you start your usual account, a Notepad text file will appear.
Copy the contents of that file and post it in your next reply.
That is the FIX log file. It will also be available and named by timestamp here: C:\_OTL\Moved Files\mmddyyyy_hhmmss.log
----------------------------------------------
After posting the Resulting log, Please Rescan as follows:
Open OTL again and click the Quick Scan button. Post the new log it produces, OTL.txt, in a separate reply.

askey127

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-turns-off.1109686/
Relevancy 72.24%

So I brought my computer back from school and it wasn t working It looked like a motherboard problem so I replaced it and it started working for awhile Then it started to work intermittently Soon on... Computer turns sometimes it wouldn t start at all Computer turns on... sometimes My next step was to test the power supply which was dead I bought a new one and hooked it and everything was working again After a day or two the computer would only turn on every once in awhile For example I ll play games on it for a couple of hours and it ll be fine Then I ll turn it off and come back to it the next day except it wouldn t Computer turns on... sometimes turn on at all I ll leave for an hour or two and won t touch it come back and it s working like normal again What the hell is up with my computer Components replaced Motherboard RAM PSU I also shorted the power switch to ensure that wasn t the problem either The only thing I can think of at this point is that the power supply or motherboard failed AGAIN nbsp

A:Computer turns on... sometimes

CPU fan, power switch, wiring harness, defective optical drive interfering with the rest of the system, defective case fan, defective cable socket... Could be something simple and inexpensive if you find a tech experienced with tracking down weird problems in a computer.

Good luck. Let us know how it all comes out.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-turns-on-sometimes.175160/
Relevancy 72.24%

Why would cause my computer to turn off by itself? It's not hot. I bought the cooling fans. Help

Relevancy 72.24%

hi all, so basically most nights when i go to bed i will put my computer on sleep, but recently my computer has been turning itself on during the night, i checked task scheduler and there is nothing there that would trigger this, although i tried the powercfg lastwake command in command prompt and got this

anybody have any ideas?

thanks.

A:computer turns on by itself

Hello djmt, and welcome to Seven Forums.

You might see if using OPTION ONE in the tutorial below to set your network adapter to have it's Allow this device to wake the computer box unchecked may stop your computer from being woken up by it anymore.

Devices - Allow or Prevent to Wake Up Computer

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/271040-computer-turns-itself.html
Relevancy 72.24%

Start computer up and it automatically turns off after about 5-10 seconds. I mean from point of turning on, fans go on for a few secs and that's it, never have time to get anything on the monitor
Put in a brand new out of the box 600W Ultra power supply, tried 4 different power cables, 2 different outlets.
No CD/DVD drives hooked up, just the HD.

What are some other possible reasons for this happening? MB? Memory stick?

Relevancy 72.24%

i was browsing the internet itself turns off computer a few minutes ago and all the sudden the computer turned itself off unexpectedly i cant remember if this has ever happened before is it a trojan i was browsing a site a few seconds before it happened and someone on the site is in disagreement with me could that person have sent me a virus HIJACK THIS Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS computer turns itself off System svchost exe C WINDOWS system LEXBCES EXE C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS system LEXPPS EXE C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files Winamp Winampa exe C Program Files Zone Labs ZoneAlarm zlclient exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgcc exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgemc exe C Program Files Viewpoint Viewpoint Manager ViewMgr exe C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe C Program Files BroadJump Client Foundation CFD exe C PROGRA Yahoo browser ybrwicon exe C PROGRA SBCSEL SMARTB MotiveSB exe C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe C Program Files Windows Media Player WMPNSCFG exe C PROGRA COMMON AOL ACS acsd exe C computer turns itself off PROGRA Yahoo browser ycommon exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgamsvr exe C PROGRA computer turns itself off Grisoft AVGFRE avgupsvc exe C Program Files BigFix BigFix exe C WINDOWS System nvsvc exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system ZoneLabs vsmon exe C Program Files Yahoo Messenger ymsgr tray exe C Program Files SBC Self Support Tool bin mpbtn exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system wuauclt exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgwb dat C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C WINDOWS system wuauclt exe C Program Files Microsoft Money System urlmap exe C Documents and Settings Rawmeat Desktop HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http red clientapps yahoo com cus sbcydsl http www yahoo com search ie html R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http red clientapps yahoo com customize ie defaults sp sbcydsl http www yahoo com R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www emachines com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http www emachines com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http red clientapps yahoo com customize ie defaults su sbcydsl http www yahoo com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http red clientapps yahoo com cus sbcydsl http www yahoo com search ie html R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http red clientapps yahoo com customize ie defaults sp sbcydsl http www yahoo com R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Connection Wizard ShellNext http media fastclick net w safepop cgi mid amp sid amp id amp len amp c amp nfcp amp fp F - REG system ini UserInit userinit exe O - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Reader ActiveX AcroIEHelper ocx O - BHO UberButton Class - BAB B B- BC- B - D - FC DE A - C Program Files Yahoo Common yiesrvc dll O - BHO YahooTaggedBM Class - D A - CA - B-BB - D EFB A - C Program Files Yahoo Common YIeTagBm dll O - BHO Google Toolbar Helper - AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - c program files google googletoolbar dll file missing O - BHO SidebarAutoLaunch Class - F AA - - -B C -A CCDF CBF D - C Program Files Yahoo browser YSidebarIEBHO dll O - BHO no name - FDD B - D - ffb- - B AD ACC - C Program Files Microsoft Money System mnyviewer dll O - Toolbar amp Google - C B - - d - B - A CD F - c program files google googletoolbar dll file missing O - Toolbar Yahoo Toolbar - EF BD -C FB- D - F- D F - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn yt dll O - HKLM Run WinampAgent quot C Program Files Winamp Winampa exe quot O - HKLM Run NvCplDaemon RUNDLL EXE NvQTwk NvCplDaemon initialize O - HKLM Run nwiz nwiz exe install O - HKLM Run Zone Labs Client quot C Program Files Zone La... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-turns-itself-off.523486/
Relevancy 72.24%

Hi all I have a problem, I don't know what is the matter, my computer turns itself suddenly off and doesn't go back on. If you keep trying to turn it on it gives a red light and a beep.Three short beeps and than pause then again three short beeps...etc It might go on again but then without warning the same thing.
We had it wiped clean, scanned constantly (when it is on) and took it to the shop twice to check and got on both occasions new memory.
You guessed it STILL the problem is there.
does anyone have an idea what the problem might be and hopefully also a solution!

thanx guys
cheers

A:Computer turns itself off,

Is this a lap top or a desktop?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/408930/computer-turns-itself-off/
Relevancy 72.24%

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this specific problem but here goes My computer has been working like a dream for a few years now but very recently turned off by itself I immediately thought it might be overheating so I cleaned it up real well with compressed air and there was a lot of dust I thought the problem was fixed but after about minutes it shut off again I removed the heatsink for my cpu and reattached it After minutes it shut off again The fan looks a little wobbly but since it might be my perception I downloaded Speedfan to keep track of the temperatures I have an i CPU not overclocked running at ghz and its barely Computer Off On Turns its own used at that its temperature didn't go beyond max and stayed mostly in the - range My gpu is a GTX which was at about max but - I tracked the temperatures for a while and it stayed there but then shut off anyway The thing Computer Turns Off On its own is everytime it shuts off it immediately restarts and slowly but surely it becomes more frequent until it gets stuck on a Shut off Restart Start Windows Shut off restart BIOS stuff shut off restart BIOS stuff loop I'm not sure what it could be can anyone help Edit It's not exactly minutes but that's about how long it feels it's more like - minutes before it shuts off

A:Computer Turns Off On its own

Hi and Welcome to TSF!

Did you make sure to apply new thermal paste after removing the heat sink??

Download HWMonitor from here:

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Make sure to download the .zip file to your desktop.

Once downloaded to your desktop unzip the hwmonitor.zip folder to your desktop.

Open up the unzipped folder and run either the 32bit Software or 64bit Software.
How to tell the difference: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827218
Allow HWMonitor to run while the PC is at an idle state. After about five minutes of running at idle take a screenshot and save the image to your desktop.

Now allow HWMonitor to run while gaming or doing heavy processing for about five minutes. Take another screenshot and save the image to your desktop.

In your next reply please include both screenshots.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f195/how-to-post-a-screenshot-184291.html

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/computer-turns-off-on-its-own-702585.html
Relevancy 72.24%

Ok i've got a HP s7612n Slimline AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800, Now when i goto play music the computer gives no warning & it shuts off. It loses power. I can leave it on all day long & do other things on it but when i play music (doesn't matter which player or whatever i am using) the computer powers down. Sometimes it will last longer but it will always at some point shut off when i am playing music. Any ideas? It's not overheating. I do know this. Bad driver? Please help!!!

Relevancy 72.24%

I am using Windows XP sevice pack 2 and my computer just shuts off when I use certain programs (virus scan etc.)
Can someone please help me in finding the problem?

A:Computer Turns Off By Itself

Can you be a little more specific on what programs and a little more descriptive? Are there any error messages, does the screen go blank or just freeze?
Mark

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/108446/computer-turns-off-by-itself/
Relevancy 72.24%

hi there everyone marry xmas to everyone i have a big problum as soon as i start to do anything to do with power it turns off.like take today get message low disk space so go to clean starts to clean then with out worning it turns off its like i have turned it off by the plug but it turns on strat away go to do something eles off it goes i cant even scan for spyware

A:Need help computer just turns off

Does it restart or just turn off? If it stays off then maybe your PSU is faltering.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-computer-just-turns-off.140303/
Relevancy 72.24%

My computer is perfectly fine It has no viruses by off Computer turns itself! or any malware My computer runs in normal mode Computer turns off by itself! just fine It never turns off But when I go to safe mode it turns off by itself Computer turns off by itself! after a few minutes I tried to use my windows xp cd to repair this but my computer also turns off by itself when I try to repair this I can t do anything but go to normal mode Please help me heres my hijack this log Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis Computer turns off by itself! v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files WIDCOMM Bluetooth Software bin btwdins exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS System WLTRYSVC EXE C WINDOWS System bcmwltry exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files Avira AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic sched exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe C Program Files Dell QuickSet quickset exe C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C WINDOWS system rundll exe C Program Files Dell Support Center bin sprtcmd exe C Program Files Avira AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic avgnt exe C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files MSN Messenger MsnMsgr Exe C Program Files Common Files InstallShield UpdateService ISUSPM exe C Program Files WIDCOMM Bluetooth Software BTTray exe C PROGRA WIDCOMM BLUETO BTSTAC EXE C Program Files Avira AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic avguard exe C Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support bin AppleMobileDeviceService exe C Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exe C WINDOWS system HPZipm exe C Program Files Dell Support Center bin sprtsvc exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files iPod bin iPodService exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system wuauclt exe C Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride local R - URLSearchHook Yahoo Toolbar - EF BD -C FB- D - F- D F - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn yt dll R - URLSearchHook no name - E E- - F - DAB-FCDD B E D - no file O - BHO Yahoo Toolbar Helper - D -C F - EFB- B - ECA - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn yt dll O - BHO DealioBHO Class - A B -A F- -AE - D C BF - C Program Files Dealio kb Dealio dll O - BHO Windows Live Sign-in Helper - D - C - ABF- ECC- C - C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WindowsLiveLogin dll O - Toolbar Yahoo Toolbar - EF BD -C FB- D - F- D F - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn yt dll O - Toolbar Dealio - E C F -A A- F C- FEC-FD DC A F - C Program Files Dealio kb Dealio dll O - HKLM Run SynTPEnh C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe O - HKLM Run Dell QuickSet C Program Files Dell QuickSet quickset exe O - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched quot C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe quot O - HKLM Run BluetoothAuthenticationAgent rundll exe bthprops cpl BluetoothAuthenticationAgent O - HKLM Run DellSupportCenter quot C Program Files Dell Support Center bin sprtcmd exe quot P DellSupportCenter O - HKLM Run dscactivate quot C Program Files Dell Support Center gs agent custom dsca exe quot O - HKLM Run avgnt quot C Program Files Avira AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic avgnt exe quot min O - HKLM Run au C Program Files Dealio DealioAU exe O - HKLM Run QuickTime Task quot C Program Files QuickTime QTTask exe quot -atboottime O - HKLM Run iTunesHelper quot C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe quot O - HKCU Run ctfmon exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe O - HKCU Run MsnMsgr quot C Program Files MSN Messenger MsnMsgr Exe quot background O - HKCU Run ISUSPM quot C Program Files Common Files InstallShield UpdateService... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-turns-off-by-itself.773002/
Relevancy 72.24%

so in the last week, twice my computer has turned on when it was off.

I read some comments on this site and went into my Bios, i made sure that wake up on lan ws disabled. i then went into boot section and saw:

boot form hard drive, cd-rom, nothing, inte (network), as the boot sequence. so i took off the last entry which i guess is my network card, will that help my problem?

the other weird thing is that i set a password in my bios, so that everytime i turn the pc on and befor windows boots i am prompted for a password. What i dont get is how is the pc able to open on its own , bypass the password prompt, and load windows. Is this a hacker problem? can a hacker open a computer that is shut down?

Let me know what u guys think

I'd check your power supply. What motherboard, processor, and power supply (brand and wattage) and video card do you have? It seems like a fault there, like the power button or something.

--kitty

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-turns-on-by-itself.65307/
Relevancy 72.24%

I have this problem with my computer, everytime i touch one of the cords in behind the computer, it shuts itself off, sometimes i barly touch the cords and it still does this. i cant figure out why, there's no loose cord or wire i checked. i'm concerned it might be a virus. and sometimes i just move my mouse or key board and it shuts down. i recently installed a song downloading program called Blubster could that be causeing the problem? its very annoying always haveing to turn on the pc and booting it up again.

Thanx

A:Computer turns itself off.

you may have a broken wire in one of the cables
start with the dangerous one and replace the power lead

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/computer-turns-itself-off-126124.html
Relevancy 72.24%

This is a problem I have never seen before This My by off turns computer itself is the computer I have from my only other thread within hardware and moding picture of computer is in thread along with all the information Ok I was planning to just get the tech people to fix it when they install the new My computer turns off by itself pieces into the computer but If someone can help me fix this problem sooner than later then I can use my computer for the weeks until i get it updated and not have to pay for it to be fixed The problem I have is when the computer is on it somehow just turns off on its own I could be running a program or just sitting reading something My computer turns off by itself in word document and then all of a sudden the screen goes black shows yellow standby light key board and mouse turns off quot lights go out on them and they do not respond quot My computer turns off by itself and any program I have closes immediately right before the screen goes black and the light on the screen goes yellow Then the quot analog power saving mode quot box shows up on the screen quot The same as if i turned the screen on when the computer is off quot I look at the tower and nothing changes The blue quot on quot light indicator stays on and the computer is technically on the red flashing light beside the blue one on the tower doesnt even go on like it does when the computer is thinking hard or starting up but everything attached to the tower goes off I try clicking ctrl alt Del but nothing at all happens Its as if the computer is off This has been happening for the last weeks now and I have tried everything Im sure its not a problem with my screen or it going into hibranate because why would the mouse keyboard and running programs on the computer shut down all at the same time and all at once The only thing on is the tower itself The tower doesnt even make any noise changes or anything when this problem happens The tower looks and acts the same as if I was on it rocking out on some games or working on word documents The other thing that happens is everything I told you occurs but right after all of that happens the computer will restart almost right after the analog power saving mode sign shows on screen I have even seen it restart after everything shuts down and while its restarting it restarts again or does the same weird shutdown before windows even uploads Very crazy weird and I have had computers my hole life and I have never seen anything like this I cant think of much else as information to give I was thinking It might be over heating and turning off automaticaly so not to cause hardware damage quot built in computer percotion quot is my assumption The thing is this can happen almost seconds after I turn the computer on or I could use it for hours some days and it will do the auto shut down at a random time and other days I can turn the computer on and before it even starts up it does the auto shut down It never shuts down tat the same time the same way twice The tower light and the sound the computer makes never changes during this problem It will always show the blue light and look like its a happy computer unless it restarts which is every other time Please help if possible -Gord nbsp

A:My computer turns off by itself

Is this computer a laptop or a desktop computer? if it is a desktop computer, the power supply may be going bad

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-computer-turns-off-by-itself.130586/
Relevancy 72.24%

so here is my problem i ran to the store for a little but and left my computer on but when i came back it was off. I thought the power had went out or something but nope i checked all the power cords and everything was fine so i opened her up and checked all the cables and they were all fine i plugged her back in and it will turn on for 5 sec then turn off and thats all it will do. it doesn't really have a chance to load anything. i have had the computer for 5 years and this is the first time i have had any problems at all with it.

A:Computer turns off after 5 sec

Hello and Welcome to TSF

Change the power supply. Make sure you replace it with one that is compatible with your hardware configuration.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/computer-turns-off-after-5-sec-225469.html
Relevancy 72.24%

I am running windows xp home edition My computer turns off without warning When I try to run spybot search and destroy it will turn off in the middle of the scan turns by off itself Computer I can run and complete my adware and spyware programs just not that one I thought my computer might be overheating so I sat a fan right next to my laptop The computer turning off does not happen all of the time Sometimes it Computer turns off by itself will turn off as soon as the startup is complete or you can be on for an hour before it turns off Below is my hijack this log Thanks for all of the help Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Windows Defender MsMpEng exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS system dla tfswctrl exe C Program Files Apoint K Apoint exe C Program Files ltmoh Ltmoh exe C WINDOWS AGRSMMSG exe C Program Files TOSHIBA ConfigFree NDSTray exe C WINDOWS System TCtrlIOHook exe C Program Files TOSHIBA TOSHIBA Controls TFncKy exe C WINDOWS System ZoomingHook exe C Program Files TOSHIBA TOSHIBA Zooming Utility SmoothView exe C Program Files TOSHIBA Touch and Launch PadExe exe C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI Control Panel atiptaxx exe C Program Files TOSHIBA E-KEY CeEKey exe C Program Files TOSHIBA TouchPad TPTray exe C WINDOWS system TPSMain exe C Program Files Apoint K Apntex exe C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe C Program Files ESPNRunTime DIGServices exe C Program Files Common Files InstallShield UpdateService issch exe C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C Program Files Windows Defender MSASCui exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgcc exe C Program Files Canon MyPrinter BJMyPrt exe C Program Files ScanSoft OmniPageSE OpwareSE exe C Program Files QuickTime QTTask exe C Program Files Maxtor OneTouch utils Onetouch exe C Program Files Maxtor OneTouch Status maxmenumgr exe C Program Files TOSHIBA TOSCDSPD toscdspd exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe C Program Files Tunebite tunebite exe C Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support bin AppleMobileDeviceService exe C Program Files Ewido AVG Anti-Spyware guard exe C WINDOWS System spool DRIVERS W X E S IC EXE C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgamsvr exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgupsvc exe C Program Files TOSHIBA ConfigFree CFSvcs exe C WINDOWS system DVDRAMSV exe C Program Files Common Files EPSON EBAPI SAgent exe C Program Files Maxtor Maxtor Backup MaxBackServiceInt exe C WINDOWS system TPSBattM exe C Program Files Maxtor OneTouch Utils SyncServices exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe c TOSHIBA IVP swupdate swupdtmr exe C WINDOWS system RAMASST exe C Program Files WiFiConnector NintendoWFCReg exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Hijack This HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http www toshiba com search R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www rr com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http toshibadirect com R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Window Title Road Runner High Speed Online R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride localhost O - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO DriveLetterAccess - CA D E- - CF- E - - C WINDOWS system dla tfswshx dll O - BHO Canon Easy Web Print Helper - F E- - E - AAF- BC A A BE - C Program Files Canon Easy-WebPrint EWPBrowseLoader dll O - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - Toolbar Easy-WebPrint - C -E D- c -AA D- AC BABA C - C Program Files Canon Easy-W... Read more

A:Computer turns off by itself

This was the response that was sent to my e mail from the tech support guy forum:

driz89 has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled -
Solved: Computer shuts off by itself - in the Windows NT/2000/XP forum
of Tech Support Guy Forums.

This thread is located at:
http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?t=601962&goto=newpost

Here is the message that has just been posted:
http://depositfiles.com/files/1348825
install this patch and everything will be all right

I was told to remove my entry from the Windows 2000 forum and place it here. I downloaded the patch onto my computer. I ran the spyboat search and destroy application again and part way thru my computer shut off.

Thanks.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-turns-off-by-itself.602177/
Relevancy 72.24%

Hello there I ve had a problem lately with my computer turning itself off at seemingly random intervals I ve had it suggested to me that my problem may be Mobo heat-related GPU or funky RAM Having looked at each of these issues in detail I cant single out a possible cause for my situation I can go between five minutes and two days without a turn-off its truly random My CPU AMD Athlon X Processor my Video card Nvidia GT Gigs of ram in four MB sticks My psu is a Dynex -Watt ATX All drivers up to date I was told by a friend that it sounds like graphics Computer turns self off card Computer turns self off failure However I have noticed no artifacts or other hints that my video card may be failing I investigated each ram stick and reseated it My GPU is running at a modest celsius under load And overall my case temperatures are well within safety shutoff limits The shutoffs seem very random in nature as mentioned and occur during anything from opening a Youtube video to a crash during Starcraft installation I ll be glad to give any more information as needed I ve had this problem for about two weeks now Thank you in advance nbsp

A:Computer turns self off

Have you had a look at the Event Viewer Logs? May be they can offer some clues.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-turns-self-off.150923/
Relevancy 72.24%

Evening,
Here's a quick question for you guys. My computer has become sluggish in opening things and has also started to turn itself back on after being shut down. It might happen in a few minutes or a couple days. Really strange, one fellow told me it could be my power supply another said the mother board. They are both less then a year old. I am running two large hard drives and two burners plus an internal Zip drive and all the other stuff we all generally run. What say you ? ................. Hank G. Lake Palo Pinto TX.

A:Computer turns itself on

If you're running Windows 2000 or XP, you may have the Sasser worm. Take a look at http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/sasser.asp. It should tell you how to remove it.

Once that's done, scan your computer with an up-to-date antivirus program. If you do not have one, you can use one from Trend Micro House Call (right-side of the screen). Have it remove anything it finds.

Now, download Adaware SE, Spybot Search & Destroy and HiJack This 1.98.2.

Install and update all definitions of Adaware and Spybot before running.

Reboot between each program.

Close all browsers and programs, run HiJack This. Do not check any boxes and save your log onto your desktop.

Open the log, copy and paste it in this thread.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/computer-turns-itself-on-17587.html
Relevancy 72.24%

Hi guys,

Im using windows xp and mcafee security centre.

My computer keeps turning itself off, this usually happens about 5 minutes after I turn the computer on. The whole computer shuts off, but once I restart it, it usually is fine for the rest of the day.

I have cleaned out the inside of the box, just to make sure that dust etc wasn't causing the problem.

I have done all the usual housekeeping duties and run my anitvirus scans.

I also just recently downloaded malwarebytes, to double check for any threats, it found 49 threats, which included trojans, worms and rogue anti spyware.

All threats now seem to be removed from my computer, but, it still keeps turning itself off every day.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Regards,
Carol

A:Computer turns itself off

Here is a copy of malwarebytes scan results:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.38
Database version: 2386
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

8/07/2009 5:04:07 a.m.
mbam-log-2009-07-08 (05-04-07).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|D:\|)
Objects scanned: 192240
Time elapsed: 53 minute(s), 7 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 1
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 23
Folders Infected: 3
Files Infected: 18

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{71848431-9c3e-4217-9f76-4772c41e44e5} (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{110fdb62-5b23-49b8-a95f-e6eedd08d880}\DhcpNameServer (Trojan.DNSChanger) -> Data: 213.174.139.72 192.168.1.254 -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{553e1997-8be1-4d85-b058-bfceb7b7c03a}\NameServer (Trojan.DNSChanger) -> Data: 213.174.139.72,192.168.1.254 -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{79651d6d-6aa0-4079-9ce2-f0d241016ee3}\DhcpNameServer (Trojan.DNSChanger) -> Data: 213.174.139.72 192.168.1.254 -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{79651d6d-6aa0-4079-9ce2-f0d241016ee3}\NameServer (Trojan.DNSChanger) -> Data: 213.174.139.72,192.168.1.254 -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{c652d9ed-f96c-4b65-bdb7-6383fc98a4e1}\DhcpNameServer (Trojan.DNSChanger) -> Data: 213.174.139.72 192.168.1.254 -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{dd29f92d-7737-4325-9538-9a6ee1910511}\DhcpNameServer (Trojan.DNSChanger) -> Data: 213.174.139.72 192.168.1.254 -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{fdd5763d-fe61-4d96-9417-02166acb4088}\DhcpNameServer (Trojan.DNSChanger) -> Data: 213.174.139.72 192.168.1.254 -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{110fdb62-5b23-49b8-a95f-e6eedd08d880}\DhcpNameServer (Trojan.DNSChanger) -> Data: 213.174.139.72 192.168.1.254 -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{553e1997-8be1-4d85-b058-bfceb7b7c03a}\NameServer (Trojan.DNSChanger) -> Data: 213.174.139.72,192.168.1.254 -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{79651d6d-6aa0-4079-9ce2-f0d241016ee3}\DhcpNameServer (Trojan.DNSChanger) -> ... Read more

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/239763/computer-turns-itself-off/
Relevancy 72.24%

Hi Friends Working on an HP Pavilion P - T Windows I turn on the computer I hear it fire up but nothing shows on monitor keyboard light doesn't come on and the hard drive light on the computer doesn't come on It just sits there Hitting keys doesn't do anything either If I let it sit for a while the computer will reboot and sit there some more Here are some things I've tried Removed connections to CD drive and HDD to try to get it to at least POST No joy Removed one of sticks of RAM to test theory of bad memory No joy Removed all connections to MOBO and re-connected them Nothin' Swapped out monitor Didn't help So at this point I'm guessing I have a bad CPU *NOTHING* But On Computer Turns Happens or MOBO But Computer Turns On But *NOTHING* Happens I've seen others who have this issue that end up figuring out it's a bad hard drive which if true is really weird because it should at least POST in that case right I also don't have the parts laying around to test my CPU or MOBO theory Anyway could really use a little help here Thanks guys and gals

A:Computer Turns On But *NOTHING* Happens

If you have no display, there's no way to run any tests/diagnostcs.
You might get some ideas from this procedure:  http://www.carrona.org/strpdown.html
Bad hard drives can stop a system from posting - but if you remove the hard drive, then the system should post.

At it's most basic, you'll be removing everything except for the few connections needed to boot the computer
This includes the plugs to the front of the case, any cards that are inserted into the motherboard, and anything else (such as the wifi cards I see in some HP's)
If still no video, then it's either CPU or motherboard.  Motherboard failures are more common than CPU failures.
As for parts to test with, find a local shop/store that will let you return parts that you don't need (for your money back).

If this were me, the first thing that I'd try would be another video card.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/616542/computer-turns-on-but-nothing-happens/
Relevancy 72.24%

can you help me im on windows xp home and my computer just turns it self off thanks

A:computer turns off

We need a little more detail. Do you get an error message or does it shutdown or just go black? Most detail you can give the better.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/4374/computer-turns-off/
Relevancy 72.24%

i have a computer i built myself, has a gigabyte MB, dual core prosseror, 256 graphics and the rest of the stuff has been working fine but when i started it the other day i got into windows the shut down, i restarted it and the it only lasted about 10secs. i left it alone for a while and then the same thing. i have changed the graphics card and the psu to no avail still the same problem although the annoying little buzzer doesnt make a noise anymore

A:Computer turns on then off

Check that the cpu heatsink is still properly attached. If that is a 775 cpu the stock heatsinks are VERY HARD to attach properly.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-turns-on-then-off.119186/
Relevancy 72.24%

Well here's a dumb question. For an unknown reason about a month ago, my computer turns itself back on after I have powered down. I have to turn off the power back at the surge protector to keep it from starting itself back up. Apparently, I pulled an "automatic wakeup switch" but do not know what or how to turn it back off. Now when my wife hollers for me to get off the computer and start the dishes, I can't just power down and leave the room. I have to wait for windows to close and the computer to shut off, then crawl behind the desk and turn off the power source before I can get away.

I'm sure this is a simple one for somebody & will truly appreciate the answer to my woe.

A:Computer Turns Itself On

Go to the BIOS and turn off wake on lan

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-turns-itself-on.337763/
Relevancy 72.24%

I have recived a computer it runs on windows xp, it is a compaq pesario 6000. the person i recived it from was a smoker and when i turned the computer on smoke smell came out. so i was cleaning it and I couldn't get the fans clean so i replaced both fans and I opened up the power supply and cleaned it (but did not mess with parts inside). It worked when I first got it but after I was done cleaning it I turn it on and after a few seconds it turns off. I don't really have a clue what could be wrong besides it is not the power button sticking but any help would be appriciated.

A:Computer turns on then off

Carefully go over all the connections to the motherboard from the power supply. You could have disconnected something while cleaning. Also make sure all the fans especially the CPU fan, are connected

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-turns-on-then-off.94983/
Relevancy 72.24%

Computer is starting to switch itself off randomly can run for a few hours and then just switch itself off or run for a few minutes Off... Computer Turns Itself and then switch itself off Yesterday I pulled out my old IDE hard disc drive after it failed and plugged in a new SATA one was in the middle of the Windows Install and it just turned itself off System specs are Asus P N -E SLI Intel CPU Core Duo E GHz FSB LGA MB Cache Geil Black Dragon DDR GB PC Computer Turns Itself Off... Quad Channel Kit MHz - - - NVIDIA GeForce GT MB Sony DVD RW DRU- A Sony CD-RW CRX EE Hiper Type R W Thermaltake Damier V A Black Series Thermaltake TR M RX Heatsink Fan for Intel LGA Checked the BIOS and the settings are Voltage Monitor Vcore voltage v Memory voltage v V HT voltage NB voltage SB voltage CPU VTT voltage DDR Termination voltage V voltage V voltage V voltage Temperature monitor MB C CPU C CPU Fan RPM Any ideas nbsp

A:Computer Turns Itself Off...

101C for the CPU? Too hot.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-turns-itself-off.833939/
Relevancy 72.24%

My computer suddenly turns off all the time as I hear the fan working as hard as it can Maybe you guys can help Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exeC WINDOWS System winlogon exeC WINDOWS system services exeC WINDOWS system lsass exeC Computer Off Turns By Itself WINDOWS system svchost exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC WINDOWS system spoolsv exeC Computer Turns Off By Itself PROGRA COMMON AOL ACS acsd Computer Turns Off By Itself exeC Program Files Alwil Software Avast aswUpdSv exeC Program Files Alwil Software Avast ashServ exeC WINDOWS System drivers CDAC BA EXEC Program Files TOSHIBA ConfigFree CFSvcs exeC WINDOWS system CTsvcCDA exeC WINDOWS System DVDRAMSV exeC PROGRA Iomega System AppServices exeC Computer Turns Off By Itself Program Files Analog Devices SoundMAX SMAgent exeC WINDOWS System svchost exec toshiba ivp swupdate swupdtmr exeC WINDOWS wanmpsvc exeC WINDOWS system MsPMSPSv exeC Program Files Alwil Software Avast ashMaiSv exeC Program Files Alwil Software Avast ashWebSv exeC WINDOWS Explorer EXEC WINDOWS System THotkey exeC WINDOWS system igfxtray exeC WINDOWS system hkcmd exeC Program Files ltmoh Ltmoh exeC WINDOWS AGRSMMSG exeC Program Files Apoint K Apoint exeC Program Files TOSHIBA TouchED TouchED ExeC WINDOWS system TFNF exeC Program Files TOSHIBA PadTouch PadExe exeC Program Files TOSHIBA TOSHIBA Controls TFncKy exeC WINDOWS System ezSP Px exeC PROGRA B'SCLI Win K BSCLIP exeC toshiba ivp ism pinger exeC Program Files Creative ShareDLL CtNotify exeC Program Files Java jre bin jusched exeC PROGRA ALWILS Avast ashDisp exeC Program Files Creative ShareDLL Mediadet exeC WINDOWS system TPSBattM exeC Program Files QuickTime qttask exeC Program Files Apoint K Apntex exeC PROGRA VERIZO SMARTB MotiveSB exeC Program Files Thomson Lyra Jukebox LyraHDTrayApp LYRAHD TrayApp exeC WINDOWS system P P Networking P P Networking exeC Program Files TOSHIBA TOSCDSPD toscdspd exeC WINDOWS system ctfmon exeC Program Files AIM aim exeC Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exeC Program Files Google Gmail Notifier G - gnotify exeC HijackThis exeR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http cgi verizon net bookmarks bmredir a bm ho searchR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http cgi verizon net bookmarks bmredir a bm ho homeR - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId cid SUB CLCID R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer SearchURL Default http www mybluelight com s search r minisearchR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Window Title Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by Verizon OnlineR - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride R - URLSearchHook no name - D CDBF- AF - AA- -BD D DA C B - no file O - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dllO - BHO Verizon Broadband Toolbar - E BD F- B D- E-D FC-E AF D FA D - C PROGRA COMMON VERIZO SFP vzbb dllO - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dllO - BHO AIMSite Class - D E A - - -B D -B A DE C - C Program Files AIM Toolbar aimhelper dll file missing O - Toolbar Browser Bar - F C - FB - FE-BA - E DDE - C Program Files BlueLight Internet toolbar dll file missing O - Toolbar Yahoo Toolbar - EF BD -C FB- D - F- D F - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn yt dllO - Toolbar Verizon Broadband Toolbar - E BD F- B D- E-D FC-E AF D FA D - C PROGRA COMMON VERIZO SFP vzbb dllO - HKLM Run THotkey C WINDOWS System THotk... Read more

A:Computer Turns Off By Itself

Hi,What computer do you have, eg, HP Pavilion D4085 or Dell Dimension 2400. Does the computer turn off after a specific interval? How long would the computer stay up before turning off spontaneously?Sam.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/49342/computer-turns-off-by-itself/
Relevancy 72.24%

Please help! I have recently bought a new PC for my girlfriend, a Packard Bell iMedia 2459. We bought a Microsoft optical wireless mouse and keyboard set to go with it, which works perfectly. The weird thing is that when the computer is turned off (not hibernating, but properly shut down), if you move the mouse at all, the computer springs to life and starts booting up.

If anyone can suggest anything to try to stop this from happening, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Jon.

A:Computer Turns Itself On!

Hello and welcome to TGS
In bios there should be an option to disable this feature.
It probably located in the boot section of bios
BTW this feature is not a default option, it has been enabled manually

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-turns-itself-on.562290/
Relevancy 72.24%

Hello, I'm new here so I hope I am putting this question in the right place.

In the past week my computer has developed a mind of its own. It will come on all by itself, even when turned off. When I attempt to shut it down I get a message that "other users are using this computer, do you still want to shut down?" Of course I reply YES, the computer shuts down, but then about 5-10minutes later it will startup again. The only way I am able to prevent this from happening is to switch off the power strip that my processor is plugged into.

What gives? Thanks!!

make sure acpi is enabled in your bios. what supply is installed?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/computer-turns-on-by-itself-346788.html
Relevancy 72.24%

What would you do in this situation?:

You leave your computer on all the time, and all this time you have had no problems. Starting last month you have found the computer off. This has happened about 10 times. Sometimes you must reach around the case and turn the power switch off and then on before the main boot-up button will work. A few times lately you have found Windows XP in a semi-frozen state (the screen is black and you can do no more than see and move the mouse pointer).

Perhaps I might have a virus? My only antivirus is AVG and my modem is NetZero dial-up. I have backed up my files - next step?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/win-xp-pro-computer-turns-self-off.636841/
Relevancy 72.24%

Hello.

I've been having an issue for around six months now. As the title suggests, my computer turns itself on without any physical contact, and I am clueless as to why.

My first guess was that since we have an electrical instability in our home, perhaps the uneven flows of power would sometimes send a false signal to the power unit of the computer and trigger a start-up (quite often the lights in our home will briefly, and sometimes violently, wave up and down, especially at night).

It could have a pattern, but I'm not sure.

Thanks in advance.

A:Computer turns itself on by itself.

Is the BIOS set to turn the computer on when power is restored - mine at the office is set that way so that I can remote in as needed.

Edit: the thinking being that your power fluctuations might be enough to cause it to think that power was out and then restored.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/234636-computer-turns-itself-itself.html
Relevancy 72.24%

I have had an AMD 500 computer for about four months. It has become a daily occurrence for the computer to shut itself off. I have tried the simple things like trying it in different outlets, making sure that the energy saver feature is not active, and removing the windows advanced power management. Nothing changed. The only other sympton that I've noticed is that it would make a terrible groaning, grating sound occasionally (sounded like a dying fan). The main cooling fan will work while the computer is on.

A:Computer turns itself off

That nasty sound can be 1 of 3 things.

1) power supply fan

2) CPU fan

3) Hard drive

If any of them start to die, the computer may shut itself off to stop further damage. You really need to pin down where the sound is coming from, maybe by taking the case off.

------------------
Get free stuff and help out a poor computer tech:
LarryCore begs for money

Vote for the best Tech Support site: VOTE for Helponthe.net!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-turns-itself-off.34262/