Windows Support Forum

Question: Failed Targeted Read Test and SMART Short Self Test

Q: Question: Failed Targeted Read Test and SMART Short Self Test

Hi,

I recently ran a scheduled diagnostic test of my PC with the manufacturer's diagnostic software. I received two error messages and the advice to promptly replace my hard drive. The first message was Failed (Error code: WHD20-1VR) and the second was Failed (Error code: WHD16-T57). The apply to Targeted Read test and Smart Short Self Test respectively.

So I ran Chkdsk for the C: drive and received no error messages.

Which is correct and what should I do about it? The error message won't go away on the software.

Thanks for helping.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Question: Failed Targeted Read Test and SMART Short Self Test

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Question: Failed Targeted Read Test and SMART Short Self Test

CHKDSK is a very basic check that mostly checks file system and can be set to scan for bad sectors. The manufacturer's diagnostics actually check the physical drive to make sure its operating within the designed parameters and is more thorough.

You should replace the drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/question-failed-targeted-read-test-and-smart-short-self-test.1003278/
Relevancy 143.22%

hineed help.....After running LSC hardware scan, both targeted read test and smart short self test failed witherror code: WHD01V00I-UL7BBJDevice: WDC WD10JPCX-24UE4T0-931.51 GBsby the way my lappy is LENOVO G50 with windows10 inbuilt.I've seen similar messages and most of them recommend for replacement... Do I really have to do that...Please help me out 

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-B-and-G-Series-Notebooks/targeted-read-test-and-smart-short-self-test-failing/td-p/3366109
Relevancy 141.98%

hi
need help.....
After running LSC hardware scan, both targeted read test and smart short self test failed with
error code: WHD01V00I-UL7BBJ
Device: WDC WD10JPCX-24UE4T0-931.51 GBs
by the way my lappy is LENOVO G50 with windows10 inbuilt.
I've seen similar messages and most of them recommend for replacement... Do I really have to do that...
Please help me out

Mod's Edit: System model added to the front of Subject line to improve visibility / clarity.

A:G50 - targeted read test and smart short self test...

Hi there, Naveen-
Thank you for writing in to the Lenovo Forum - happy to have you here today.

The SMART Self-Test Unit means that the diagnostic utility failed to read some certain sectors on the drive and predicted an imminent HDD failure.

If with the test you did you are getting a SMART test or a smart short test failure then I believe you need to back up your data and be ready to replace the drive.

I recommend you contact Lenovo support and report your findings as you likely need to send the unit for service.

Update us how it goes.

Regards,

Tap that kudos button if I helped  If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-B-and-G-Series-Notebooks/G50-targeted-read-test-and-smart-short-self-test-failing/td-p/3366109
Relevancy 128.96%

Hey,

I'm wanting to know what I do to resolve these issues (attached). Do I need to worry? Thanks!

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 370 @ 2.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 5
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 3894 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1723 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 461838 MB, Free - 408425 MB;
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0WXY9J
Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

Relevancy 107.26%

Hi,
I ran a P C Check and the targeted read test and the smart short test both failed.
Does this mean I have a big problem with my hard drive? How do I correct this issue?
Any help would be greatly apprechiated.

A:Targeted Read Test Failed

Does this mean I have a big problem with my hard drive?Click to expand...

Yes. Copy your user data from that drive and replace it immediately.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/targeted-read-test-failed.986467/
Relevancy 102.92%

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 220 Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 6 Stepping 3
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 4863 Mb
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics, 256 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 598735 MB, Free - 178093 MB; D: Total - 11641 MB, Free - 1418 MB;
Motherboard: FOXCONN, 2AA9
Antivirus: Norton Security Suite, Updated and Enabled
On my weekly Hardware Diagnostic Tool run I got the following. SMART Short Self Test Failed.
I ran my Disk Check Utility and it said all is well. Anyone have any ideas?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/smart-short-test-failed.1102470/
Relevancy 102.92%

Running Hardware Diagnostic Maintence and it is telling me that the SMART Short Test Failed what does this mean and how do I fix it

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/SMART-Short-Test-Failed/td-p/5790955
Relevancy 102.92%

My Computer:   Compaq Presario Product name AY03011-ABL  CQ5320F  Error Message The device reported the following status: The previous self test completed having read the element of the test fail- 22/04/2012, 10:26:30 AMError Message The first failing LBA value is 16512590 and the failure occurred after the device had been operating power on hours. 22/04/2012, 10:26:30 AM Computer is aproximately 2 years old.

Solved!
View Solution.

A:Smart Short Test Failed

Time to replace the hard drive. You can use a retail SATA hdd to replace the 500GB hdd you have. Hope you have burned your Recovery Disk set?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Software-and-How-To-Questions/Smart-Short-Test-Failed/td-p/1442349
Relevancy 102.92%

I ran a hardware scan via the Lenovo Solution Center and my laptop passed every test but three contained in the "storage devices" subsection. The tests were the - Targeted read test- SMART short self test- SMART drive self test. with a result code of WHD01V01I-UL7A6K. My OS is windows 10 64-bit. What do these failed tests mean? Is there a way to fix them?

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-11e-Windows-E-and-Edge/Thinkpad-EDGE-E440-failed-targeted-read-test-SMART-short-self/td-p/3358014
Relevancy 102.3%

Lenovo Solutions Center on my Thinkpad Yoga 14 displays: SMART Status Test FailedSMART Short Self Test FailedResult code: WHD01F001-WL7Z9L Please help. 

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-S-Series-ThinkPad-Yoga/SMART-status-and-SMART-Short-Self-Test-Failed/td-p/3330413
Relevancy 101.99%

Model Name p6367c
Product Number AY691AA-ABA
Serial Number (removed content)

HARDWARE Diagnostic Tools 6.0.5247.34
HARDWARE Diagnostic Tools- Scheduled Maintenance
WDC WD10EADS-65M2B0 ATA Device (TurboPC EX)

SMART Short Self Test - Failed HD521-2W

Please recommend best solution: Clone and replace WD Hard Drive?  If so, what is recommended WD replacement model?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

A:SMART Short Self Test - Failed HD521-2W

> Clone and replace WD Hard Drive?  If so, what is recommended WD replacement model? Your current disk-drive is 1000 GB.  So, any 1000 GB or 2000 GB drive will work, without any worries.Anything larger might have an issue, if the motherboard is "older". Note that WD offers a download of free "disk-cloning" software, as long as either the "source" or the "target" disk-drive was manufactured by WD. How "full" is your current drive?  Buy a new hard-drive, and backup all your data/files/music/pictures/bookmarks to it,while your current disk-drive is still working OK.  Or, "clone" your current disk-drive to the new drive. If the disk-drive is still under warranty from WD, WD will replace it.  You might have to pay for shipping it to WD. If the disk-drive is out-of-warranty, WD sometimes has a "customer loyalty" program.You tell WD the serial-number of the drive, and you get a discount on theh purchase of a new disk-drive from WD's online-store, and you don't have to return your current disk-drive. 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/SMART-Short-Self-Test-Failed-HD521-2W/td-p/5828335
Relevancy 101.99%

I just ran the my dell thing on my brothers laptop and everything passed accept the HD smart short self test his computer has two hard drives a GB Samsung SSD mSATA and a TB Western Digital which is what has the failure Vendor Western Digital Model Number WDC WD JPVT- A YT Serial Number WXT CC Firmware Revision A Short failed HD Solved: Self Smart Test Size GB Rotation Rate RPM Cache Size MB Temperature C Physical Sector Size KB Logical Sector Size B Logical Sector Count Supported Standards ATA -ACS ATA ATAPI- ATA ATAPI- ATA ATAPI- SMART Short Self Test Test Started - PM Error Message - PM The device reported the following status The previous self-test completed having the read element of the test failed Error Message - PM The first failing LBA value is and the failure occurred after the device had been operating for power-on hours Test Finished - PM Failed Error code WHD -MYV so any ideas what this could be this is the first time this scan was ever run so not really sure if this has been a problem before Also I will upload the full report but this was the only problem it detected here is Solved: HD Smart Short Self Test failed his laptop specs Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows bit Processor Intel R Core TM i - QM CPU GHz Intel Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card Intel R HD Graphics - Mb Also his laptop has this DirectX version GPU processor GeForce GT M Driver version Direct D API version Direct D feature level CUDA Cores Core clock MHz Memory data rate MHz Memory interface -bit Memory bandwidth GB s Total available graphics memory MB Dedicated video memory MB GDDR System video memory MB Shared system memory MB Video BIOS version C IRQ Bus PCI Express x Gen Device Id DE FD F Part Number Thanks Edit I also restarted the PC and hit F and went to diagnostics and ran a test that way and everything passed accept DST short Test on the same hard drive and it popped up with error code - validation nbsp

Relevancy 100.44%

I ran the hardware test this morning and everything passed but the SMART short self test. It failed and gave me this code. WHD01V00G-BK7W0J It says to send to Lenovo but I don't know where. I also can't add my laptop to my products on my account. I keep getting a message #WL Service Busy #   What do I do?

A:Hardware test shows SMART short self test failure.

hi Smurfette,

Welcome to the Forums.

The image below is the breakdown on how the LSC error codes mean.
  - Link to picture

The SMART short self-test that failed may have detected some certain sectors on the drive that are bad and predicted an imminent HDD failure so I would recommend you contact the lenovo helpdesk and report your findings as you likely need to send the unit for service.

If you're in the US, this is the number to call:

Phone Number: 1-877-4-Lenovo (1-877-453-6686)
upported Language: EnglishHours of operation: 24 hours/day 7 days/week

Support phone list

Let me know how it goes.

Regards

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-C-E-K-M-N-and-V-Series/Hardware-test-shows-SMART-short-self-test-failure/td-p/2203055
Relevancy 86.8%

HelloBefore replacing my harddisc, I'd like to know what this error means, exactly, I'd like some technical information. SAMSUNG MZ7TD128HAFV-000L1 - 119.24 GBs WHD00V000-UL7BYH -Simon K

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-E-H-K-M-Q-Y-and-ErazerX/SMART-Short-Self-Test/td-p/3371422
Relevancy 85.87%

i faced this error when i ran the diagnostic on my lappy.
can anyone tell me what it is??
how can it be solved?? 

A:smart short self test WHD16-0WV

Run the 32-bit diagnostics on the system (F12 a few times at powerup to get to them).  Please post any error messages you see, along with the full system model (i.e., Inspiron N5110, 5531, etc.).

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19984120
Relevancy 85.87%

Here is the message I am getting after running the lenovo solutions diagnostic  WHD01V000-UJ7WQFWhat does this mean?My computer is a week old, got it off ebay, new, but had been set up already.  It has been running quite slow, when I open 20 tabs in firefox it will glitch and sometimes freeze, sometimes I can't access my files, it just says file explorer on the top and displays nothing and I can't close them.  It has 6gb ram and a core i5, e431 model, so it shouldnt be running so slow and this diagnostic worries me.  I called Lenovo before running the diagnostic and they said it could be a hard drive failure.  Anyone know this error message?

A:SMART short self-test Warning???

Hi,

Welcome to Lenovo Community Forums!

If the result of "SMART short self-test" returns an error code, the hard drive has indeed failed or is about to. Then you may want to do a repair or have a new hard disk.

Take a backup of all your data while the hard drive can still be accessed and contact Lenovo Technical support if you are under warranty.

Click here to open a link where you can select the country and get the exact contact support number. I?m sure they will be a great help.

Best Regards,
Mithun.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-11e-Windows-E-and-Edge/SMART-short-self-test-Warning/td-p/1424941
Relevancy 85.87%

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T420 with a HDD Since I got upgraded to windows 10 unknowingly by MS , I kept on declining the request to upgrade from windows 7 but one day  it just started upgrading whilst I was away from the laptop, I've started occasionally hitting the error "2100: Detection error on HDD0" So I thought best to do a disk scan and have hit the warnings below on the SMART test. It went through 80% of the SMART test  quickly i.e. 2-3 minutes and then hung on the last 20% ....... shud I b worried ? Lenovo Diagnostics - Log5/30/2016 21:33:54 - SMART Status TestPassed (0.16s)5/30/2016 21:33:54 - Targeted Read TestPassed (1.16s)5/30/2016 21:33:55 - Random Seek TestPassed (89.64s)5/30/2016 21:35:25 - Funnel Seek TestPassed (74.27s)5/30/2016 21:36:39 - SMART Short Self Test5/30/2016 21:46:40 - Critical: Test has timed out: 600 s Warning (600.92s)5/30/2016 21:46:40 - SMART Drive Self Test5/30/2016 21:56:41 - Critical: Test has timed out: 600 s Warning (600.86s) 

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/SMART-Short-Self-Test-Warning/td-p/3339117
Relevancy 85.87%

I ran Dell's PC Checkup and it failed on the SMART Short Self Test. From what I get this basically means my hard drive is going to fail any time, true? When I get a new hard drive can I use the Windows 7 code that's on my computer or will I have to re-buy Windows 7? Are there any tutorials for replacing the main hard drive? Thanks

A:SMART Short Self Test Fail

Well the drive may fail sooner or later but its a good idea to get another. Yes, you can use the key on the sticker on the computer to activate windows. Better still, while the current drive is still alive, just save an image of the windows install using Macrium free or Acronis to an external drive, then you can just restore to the new drive- you wont even need to use the sticker code.

Imaging with free Macrium

Heres how to replace your hard drive:

Documentation

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/148900-smart-short-self-test-fail.html
Relevancy 85.87%

Hi all,

I got my Compaq computer just 1 year ago. Recently, the monthly maintenence test ran and SMART Short Self Test failed(Failed (Error code: HD521-2W). What does this mean? I went online and many posts said that it meant my Hard drive is dying. Is that true? Are there no other ways to solve this problem except replace my HDD?
Regards,

tnbrendan

Relevancy 85.25%

Smart Self Drive Test, Smart Short Drive Test and Targeted Read Test All the above options keep coming up with the status option of a red cross after I have carried out a hardware scan, can you tell what I have to do to correct this.  I have a Desktop H520s.  It is out of warranty.

A:Smart Self Drive Test, Smart Short Drive Test and ...

Hi whitedesire , 

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Best that you back up all your files are the harddrive would soon fail.
SMART test are harddrive integrity test that pre warns before it crashes and that you may need to change the harddrive very soon.  You may need to create your installer media too. 

Hope this help answer your query.

Regards

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-E-H-K-M-Q-Y-and-ErazerX/Smart-Self-Drive-Test-Smart-Short-Drive-Test-and-Targeted-Read/td-p/3463478
Relevancy 84.01%

Lenovo Edge Windows bit OSIntel Core i - U CPU GHz GHz nbsp Today my laptop seemed to be running slowly for a period of about thirty minutes It did not freeze but it did hang several times during simple tasks opening Microsoft Word minimizing browser I downloaded Lenovo Solution Center and ran the diagnostic Everything checks out except SMART Short Self Test which recieved a Warning nbsp Worried that this might indicate an HDD problem I ran HD Tune free version which returned the following information nbsp HD Tune WDC WD SPCX- HWST HealthID Current Worst ThresholdData Status Raw Read Error Rate Ok Spin Up Time Ok Start Stop Count Ok Reallocated Sector Count Ok Seek Error Rate Ok Power On Hours Count Ok A Spin Retry Count Ok B Calibration Retry Count Ok C Power Cycle Count 15 short Edge test Lenovo warning SMART self on Ok C Power Off Retract Count Ok C Load Cycle Count Ok C Temperature Ok C Reallocated Event Count Ok C Current Pending Sector Ok C Offline Uncorrectable Ok C Ultra DMA SMART short self test warning on Lenovo Edge 15 CRC Error Count Ok C Write Error Rate Ok F Head Flying Hours OkPower On Time Health Status Ok nbsp An HD tune quick scan for errors also gave a ok result nbsp Is there another way to check the health of the hard drive I have SMART short self test warning on Lenovo Edge 15 read that the Lenovo Solution Center diagnostic can be unreliable nbsp nbsp

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-IdeaPad-100-305-500-Edge/SMART-short-self-test-warning-on-Lenovo-Edge-15/td-p/3445985
Relevancy 84.01%

Lenovo Edge Windows bit OSIntel Core i - U CPU GHz GHz nbsp Today my laptop seemed to be running slowly for a period of about thirty minutes It did not freeze but it did hang several times during simple tasks opening Microsoft Word minimizing browser I downloaded Lenovo Solution Center and ran the diagnostic Everything checks out except SMART Short Self Test which recieved a Warning nbsp warning test SMART short on self Lenovo 15 Edge Worried that this might indicate an HDD problem I ran HD Tune free version which returned the following information nbsp HD Tune WDC WD SPCX- HWST HealthID Current Worst ThresholdData Status Raw Read Error Rate Ok Spin Up Time Ok Start Stop Count Ok Reallocated Sector Count Ok Seek Error Rate Ok Power SMART short self test warning on Lenovo Edge 15 On Hours Count Ok A Spin Retry Count Ok B Calibration Retry Count Ok C Power Cycle Count Ok C Power Off Retract Count Ok C Load Cycle Count Ok C Temperature Ok C Reallocated Event Count Ok C Current Pending Sector Ok C Offline Uncorrectable Ok C Ultra DMA CRC Error Count Ok C Write Error Rate Ok F Head Flying Hours OkPower On Time Health Status Ok nbsp An HD tune quick scan for errors also gave a ok result nbsp Is there another way to check the health of the hard drive I have read that the Lenovo Solution Center diagnostic can be unreliable nbsp nbsp

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-11e-Windows-E-and-Edge/SMART-short-self-test-warning-on-Lenovo-Edge-15/td-p/3445985
Relevancy 84.01%

Hello everyone, About a month and a half ago, I've bought the mentioned laptop. During the first week of using it, I've noticed that somehing is wrong, so I ran some tests in Lenovo Solution Center. HDD had faild it, so I've contacted your service immidiately, and they replaced it with a new HDD.  The laptop was in service for like 27 days, and when I got it, I had a problem booting up a system... When it finally started to work I couldn't download and install drivers normally, it stared to freeze, aborted the actions etc. Like the last time, I managed to download Lenovo Soultion Center and ran the tests, again. The result of the test was Warning for SMART Short Self Test and SMART Drive Self test. Can you somehow advise me what to do? Thanks in advance.  Result code: WHD01V000-HL0Y9G

A:Lenovo Y50-70 SMART Short and Drive Self Test Warn...

Hi Dakilajk , 

It would be best to contact tech support for the recommendation and decode of WHD01V000-HL0Y9G , 
and since you are experiencing freezing at this moment , back up your files as needed . 

You may also run counter scan using similar diagnostic software as this to check further and verify the detected imminent drive read failure . SMART test are pre detection software to alert users to back up their files if the integrity test falls its set standard each different from different harddrive manufacturers ( example seagate , Western Digital etc.) . 

LSC may be a bit sensitive to its SMART detection but then if you are having freezing issue , most likely it is doing its job as expected. 

Serbian  8:00-16:00 Monday - Friday381-21-489-1533 (Belgrade)

Update us here on the community forums on how things would go.

Regards

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/Lenovo-Y50-70-SMART-Short-and-Drive-Self-Test-Warning/td-p/3306683
Relevancy 82.77%

can some one please help me my laptop dell latitude d was working fine until i got a Virus and my laptop started to slow down i ran virus scans and spyware bt suddenly a blue plz? DST test Short help Failed screen came up and my laptop kept rebooting itself and DST Short test Failed help plz? the blue screen kept coming up I tried to atleast get the windows to let me log on bt i cudnt i tried all the ways even in safe mode the blue screen kept coming up so i ran diognistics and it told me DST Short Test Failed Error code - unit DST log contains previous errors So i reinstalled windows xp and after tries i finally got it working but i still have the problem and my c drive has errors i can not even install anti virus it keeps saying the c DST Short test Failed help plz? drive is curupt and has errors ive tried doing disk chk bt the probs still there its not working Please help thank you nbsp

Relevancy 82.77%

Unable to boot my computer this morning, I ran hardware diagnostics. The computer passed the memory check and the SMART check but failed the Short DST.Error code: UFH3HF-000840-XD7V7F-60SL03Product ID: G8B26UC#ABAI know generally a failed DST test means the hard drive has gone bad, but I have yet to see an error code similar to mine on the forums so I thought I'd check, just in case.

A:Short DST Test Failed

Hi, Unfortunately, the code does confirm a failure of the short Disk Self Test and would indicate that the drive should be replaced.  The error codes are unique as they contain a hash other information such as the time of the test. Regards, DP-K

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Short-DST-Test-Failed/td-p/5611726
Relevancy 82.77%

Hi, following a reboot, my laptop decided to not restart. Running diagnostics produced the failure id 0g9vuf-6gc88t-mfpx0k-60qf03 for the hard drive short DST check. Can somebody please confirm that my hard drive is dead and requires replacement. Thanks.

A:HDD failed short test

Hi, The error code does confirm a failure of the short disk self test and would indicate the drive will need to be replaced. Regards, DP-K

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/HDD-failed-short-test/td-p/5798146
Relevancy 81.84%

How do I correct this?

A:dst short start test failed

Welcome to TSF

DST stands for Drive Self Test, If it fails the test it means your drive is failing. You will need to replace it.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/dst-short-start-test-failed-486779.html
Relevancy 81.84%

Laptop hung on Windows start-up logo screen, so I rebooted and ran the start-up diagnostics: Start-Up Test:Memory Test: PassedSMART Check: PassedShort DST: Failed Failure ID: GG9XU2-64R86W-MFPX0J-60RB03Product ID: A8S60EA#ABU I guess that I need a new hard drive, but can I recover the data from the current drive?

A:Start-Up Test - Short DST: Failed

@Les1207? If you can not boot then remove the HDD and connect it to a SATA to USB connector.  Take it to any laptop/desktop and see if you can copy the DATA you need. REO

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Start-Up-Test-Short-DST-Failed/td-p/5719979
Relevancy 80.91%

I ran extensive diagnostics. The Hard disk Short DST test failed with failure id 6APNXA-70585V-MFPWWK-60SK03. Does this mean I have to replace my hard drive? My laptop's product ID is  F6C92PA#ACJ and I have Win10 -64 installed on it.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Hard-disk-Short-DST-test-failed/td-p/5681755
Relevancy 80.91%

Hi, I've pavilion dm4 1150 laptop. I just completed the hard disk test and following results populated: Testing Drive: 1SMART Check : PASSEDShort DST : FAILED FAILURE ID : PU6E02-5B084G-XD6U2K-60RE03PRODUCT ID : XH126UA#ABC Hard Disk 1 ---------------------------------------------------------- Please let me know, is that hard disk failed ? Do I need to change my hard drive ? If yes, what kind of hard disk do I need to buy and from where ? I'm in Australia currenlty. the laptop is not in warranty. The warranty period has expired already.  I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you for your support. Regards,Ravi

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Hard-Dist-Test-Short-DST-FAILED-What-to-do-next/td-p/5632032
Relevancy 80.91%

Hi my Hp notebook short DST test failed .Error code:gk441d-6rt84j-mfpwxp -60u503Product I'd:e9j77ea#abuWhat does that mean and what can I do now ?

A:Hard drive short DST TEST FAILED

Hi,            The failure ID refers to Hard disk drive failure. If the unit is under warranty, then you can call the HP Support to get the Hard disk drive replaced if not you have to get the Hard disk drive replaced yourself and then reinstall the operating system using recovery disk.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Hard-drive-short-DST-TEST-FAILED/td-p/5634623
Relevancy 80.91%

My laptop HP Notebook 15-r007tx  fails to load Windows.  The HP UEFI diagnostics for hard disk failed the Short DST test with failure id=Q88K1D-836864-XD7V7F-60XG03. Does this mean I have to replace my hard drive? My laptop's product ID is G8D31PA#ACJ and I have Win8.1 -64 installed on it. please give solution as soon as possible . Thank You,Hiren

A:Hard disk Short DST test failed

Hi, The 24 character error code does confirm a failure of the short Disk Self Test and would indicate that the Hard Drive is failing and needs to be replaced. If your notebook is still under warranty, contact HP and arrange to have the drive replaced - If needed, you can check your warranty status Here. If you live in the US, contact HP Here. If you are in another part of the world, start Here. If you are out of warranty and would like a guide on replacing the Hard Drive yourself, please let me know. Regards, DP-K 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Hard-disk-Short-DST-test-failed/td-p/5689770
Relevancy 80.91%

My laptop HP ENVY 15-j059nr Quad Edition Notebook PC fails to start. I ran the HP UEFI quick test diagnostics using ESC + f2 on reboot the  hard disk failed the Short DST test with failure code 64NC9H-6TA85K-MFGJWK-60ST03. What does this code mean.

Hi, The 24 character error code does confirm a failure of the short Disk Self Test ( DST ) and would indicate that the Hard Drive is failing and needs to be replaced.  This is also consistent with your description of the issue. If your notebook is still under warranty, contact HP and arrange to have the drive replaced - If needed, you can check your warranty status Here. If you live in the US, contact HP Here. If you are in another part of the world, start Here. If you are out of warranty and would like a guide on replacing the Hard Drive yourself, please let me know. Regards, DP-K

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Hard-disk-Short-DST-test-failed/td-p/5671188
Relevancy 80.91%

i ran a hp disk test i cant remember which one but i tried to run both, one passed and the other failed and i got this
failure id error code

hp failure id U30JJKL-67383U-MFPX0K-60RB03

i still can use my computer i have problems now and then
with overheating and corruption of files do i need to replace my hard drive?

Yes. One day soon it will not boot up. At a minimum you should be backing up religiously. 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Hard-disk-Short-DST-test-failed/td-p/5607327
Relevancy 110.94%

my HP Pavilion Windows Vista 32bit won't run my Diagnostics test program(PC doctor5). when i ran the program from an external disk it says smart self test failed and surface scan test failed. the last time it did that it also failed to boot and i ahd to reinstall my Vista system (and obviously lost some files). i am now worried that the same problem might start again. what could cause the smart self test to fail? is it due to any thing i might have done or what because a few weeks ago i got infected with some malware and so i installed SUPERantispyware alongside AVG antivirus. the antispyware program removed some suspected files and it seemed that my computer was clean but now i am not sure what has happened again. please help.am desperate

A:Solved: smart self test failed

Hi jayleon98, and welcome to TSG.

S.M.A.R.T. (Self Monitoring And Reporting Technology) is hardware inside of a hard drives that reports the drive's internal physical condition to the host computer. I would backup any important documents and files off of the drive ASAP if I were you. There is a good chance that your hard drive is near failure and permanent loss or non-recoverable corruption of its contents. The drive may work fine for months or it may fail the next time you power up the computer or try to save a file to it..

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-smart-self-test-failed.754814/
Relevancy 110.94%

I have a Dell Inspiron with Failed Dell 6000 Test Inspiron DST Short Windows XP Professional When I turn it on a black screen appears with one of the Dell Inspiron 6000 Failed DST Short Test following messages Read failure on internal hard drive No Bootable devices Internal hard disk drive not found Internal HDD Hard error Both messages are followed by two options F to retry boot F for setup utility I went to the setup utility which said quot none quot after the hard drive option I tried to log on in Safe Mode but no luck tried with the F key and the control key I tried the F key and was able to do the diagnostics test The computer passed every test except the DST The test Dell Inspiron 6000 Failed DST Short Test showed the following information Device Hard Drive Test Start DST Short Test Status Error Detected Test Results Fail Error Code - Msg No drive detected I read previous posts on this subject which suggested trying a winxp CD boot Unfortunately Dell did not provide me with such a CD The Dell guide says you can just do a quot System Restore quot But if you can t log on or get to Safe Mode you can t do a system restore Does anyone know how to fix this problem Or where I can buy a winxp CD My laptop is no longer under warranty so I am trying to avoid calling Dell Thank you very much for whatever suggestions you might have nbsp

A:Dell Inspiron 6000 Failed DST Short Test

Hiya Sonia60610 sounds like your HDD is going down the pan,you can download the ubuntu live cd which will probably enable you to access your data/music/photos,go here to get instructions. http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-inspiron-6000-failed-dst-short-test.931286/
Relevancy 110.94%

My Desktop All-in-one Compaq HP 18-3204LA (or ID product: H5N68AA#AKH ) Fails when its trying to Start Windows 10 (64-bits) , I Checked The Diagnostic HP and i got a problem about the Short DST from the Hard Disk , As it got failed in the Test Progress The Fail ID was:  M0AFHT-000863-MFPNXG-60SE03  

A:Hard Disk Short DST HP Diagnostic Test Failed

@Nikoiro?, welcome to the forum. This error message means that your hard drive has failed.  You will have to replace it.  You should buy a hard drive the same size or larger than the one being replaced. Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Hard-Disk-Short-DST-HP-Diagnostic-Test-Failed/td-p/5689470
Relevancy 110.51%

I am using HP Pavilion dm Notebook with Windows Home Edition installed Start-up Test DST: - Short FAILED Failed HD TOSHIBA MK GSX Hard drive GB nbsp Recently my laptop started to reboot frequently with some error overheating and DISK usage always I have tried to format the hard drive and tried to re-install it with Windows boot-up disk But it is not responding even for the F - System recovery option to format it I have then tried to run the HP - Start-up Test Failed - Short DST: FAILED System Diagonistics with running the Start-up Test first nbsp The result is as below nbsp Start-up Test Start-up Test Failed - Short DST: FAILED nbsp Memory Test PASSEDSMART Check PASSEDShort DST FAILED nbsp FAILURE IDU L X - C C-XD U G- SF PRODUCT IDXG PA AB nbsp Hard Disk ------------------As it looks like Hard Disk issue I ran the Hard-Disk Start-up Test Failed - Short DST: FAILED Test but Hard-disk test shows all are PASSED It is confusing whether it is really Hard drive issue Do I need to replace the Hard drive If so can I go for any hard drive or only Toshiba any issue in using other HD will have any issue with my mother board Please advise

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Start-up-Test-Failed-Short-DST-FAILED/td-p/5698945
Relevancy 110.51%

I am using HP Pavilion dm Notebook with Windows Home Edition installed HD TOSHIBA MK GSX Hard drive GB Recently my laptop started to reboot frequently with some error overheating and DISK usage always I have tried to format the hard drive and tried to re-install it with Windows boot-up disk But it is not responding even for the F - System recovery option to format it I have then tried to run the HP - System Diagonistics with running the quot Start-up Test quot first The result is as below Start-up Test Memory Test PASSED SMART Check PASSED Short DST FAILED FAILURE ID U L X - C C-XD U G- SF PRODUCT ID XG PA AB Hard Disk ------------------ As it looks like Hard Disk issue I ran the quot Hard-Disk Test quot but Hard-disk test shows all are PASSED It Failed DST: Test Start-up FAILED - Short is confusing whether it is really Hard drive issue Do I need to replace the Hard drive If so can I go for any hard drive or only Toshiba any issue in using other HD will have any issue with my mother board Please advise

A:Start-up Test Failed - Short DST: FAILED

Please check with HP Technical Support. They will know what exactly the Failure ID means and advice you on the next course of action.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/398737-start-up-test-failed-short-dst-failed.html
Relevancy 110.51%

I am using HP Pavilion dm Notebook with Windows Home Edition installed HD TOSHIBA MK GSX Hard drive GB Recently my laptop started to reboot frequently with some error overheating FAILED - Short DST: Failed Test Start-up and DISK usage always I have tried to format Start-up Test Failed - Short DST: FAILED the hard drive and tried to re-install it with Windows boot-up disk But it is not responding even for the F - System recovery option to format it I have then tried to run the HP - System Diagonistics with running the quot Start-up Test quot first The result is as below Start-up Test Memory Test PASSED SMART Check PASSED Short DST FAILED FAILURE ID U L X - C C-XD U G- Start-up Test Failed - Short DST: FAILED SF PRODUCT ID XG PA AB Hard Disk ------------------ As it looks like Hard Disk issue I ran the quot Hard-Disk Test quot but Hard-disk test shows all are PASSED It is confusing whether it is really Hard drive issue Do I need to replace the Hard drive If so can I go for any hard drive or only Toshiba any issue in using other HD will have any issue with my mother board Please advise

A:Start-up Test Failed - Short DST: FAILED

Sounds like a failing hard disk, but the overheating thing is worrisome.

The TOSHIBA MK6465GSX is a 2.5" form factor SATA drive, 9.5 mm thick. You should be able to replace it with any drive with the same dimensions. (You probably can use a thinner drive, but a spacer may be needed to mount it.) That includes SSDs that are intended as laptop HD replacements.

I see that there are a couple of YouTube videos showing how to replace the HD for your model laptop.

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/57023-start-up-test-failed-short-dst-failed.html
Relevancy 107.93%

smart drive short test passes while smart drive self test returns cannot perform self test gives error code WHD01V000-WJKBBE

A:smart drive short test passes while smart drive se...

Hi Jefferylhenry,

Welcome to Lenovo Community!

As per your query we understood that you are facing issue with HDD drive on ThinkPad system.
Please download HD tune application and run the application and click on Health, this will start the HDD test and confirms if there is any issue in the drive. You can take necessary action depending upon the result.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Hemanth Kumar

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/smart-drive-short-test-passes-while-smart-drive-self-test/td-p/1624494
Relevancy 107.93%

My lenovo think pad x220 with windows 10 64 bit passes the hardware scan but indicates a warning on the Smart Drive Self Test.  The short test passes. Diagnostics
SMART Status Test Passed
Targeted Read Test Passed
Random Seek Test Passed
Funnel Seek Test Passed
SMART Short Self Test Passed
SMART Drive Self Test Warning

Result Code: WHD01V000-WLKZBF

Storage devicesWhat should I do about this?  

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/Smart-Drive-Short-Self-Test-Passes-Smart-Drive-Self-Test-Warning/td-p/3326192
Relevancy 107.5%

Hi everyone. anyone has any idea why smart status test fails on my Y510P machine running Windows 10 ?  I also get  SATA SSD on controller 0, port 4 at risk: SMART Event error on the Intel Rapid storage technology program. ??   

A:SSD Smart status test failed! Result Code: WHD00F...

I don't trust any SSDs to report SMART status correctly.  I suggest getting a copy of Crystal Disk Info (free) and see what it says.  

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/SSD-Smart-status-test-failed-Result-Code-WHD00F001-DL7W6G/td-p/3480456
Relevancy 106.64%

Hi, Today i got two BSOD no where out of blue, my laptop was running well without any problem earlier before this issue. Then i did PC doctor test first it said advance pattern test failed, then i ram memtest86 and it showed nothing, no errors then again i ran PC doctor it shows now address test failed but not advance pattern test (see attachment), what is the problem could anyone pl tell

http://www.tenforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/57467-advance-pattern-test-address-test-failed-error-wme21-iwr.html
Relevancy 106.21%

What should I do when my notebook system quick test says my hard drive SMART check failed?Failure Id: 9LPBSK-7SC875-XD7WLK-608Y03PRODUCT ID: T0X74PA#UUF

Solved!
View Solution.

A:System quick test: hard drive SMART check failed

Replace the hard drive is all you can do. That is a fairly new laptop is it still under warranty?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/System-quick-test-hard-drive-SMART-check-failed/td-p/5728024
Relevancy 106.21%

Hard Drive Diagnosis Test- Long Dst Test Failed on my Laptop.But my laptop is booting properly but everytime it hangs during working, I have to hard reboot it every time.I am suspecting that, bad memory sector causing the issue I have tried Seatools for DOS to repaire those sector , but my hard drive is not detecting in that tool. Failure ID- RLNG40-7KG845-XD7V6K-618703 Do I suppose to replace the hard drive or it is repairable in HP service center ????  

A:Hard Drive Diagnosis Test- Long Dst Test Failed

Hallo Harshal123, this error code:RLNG40-7KG845-XD7V6K-618703Failure: 305information: Hard Disk 1 Full Test Failure If it's still in warranty I would recommend you to contact your HP support for getting the HDD replaced under warranty.List of phone number press your country: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html If out of warranty I would recommend you replace it your self it's normally not that hard but I can't tell since I can't see your P/N. But out from your S/N as I can see with that failure ID it's should be under 2nd year  warranty if im not misstaken. Br

ZincasI am an HP notebook technician.Please click ?Accept as Solution ? on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say ?Thanks? for helping!

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Hard-Drive-Diagnosis-Test-Long-Dst-Test-Failed/td-p/5623119
Relevancy 103.2%

Ok where to start First I ve In test test/ help- System CPU Dire failed need of VDA had In Dire need of help- System failed CPU test/ VDA test this PC for about years without any problems I have my computer set to go to a blank screensaver after min of not being used and power off the monitor after minutes of not being used The other week the image on my entire computer screen would shake and sometimes you could smell something burning Sometimes when the screen shaked so bad the monitor would just go blank for a few seconds then back to what I was doing BTW it has nothing to do with whatever I m doing on the computer the shaking screen happens regardless I thought it was just a problem with the monitor until today when I actually shut my PC off after recieving Windows updates last night When I went to turn it back on audio came out of my speakers saying quot system failed CPU test quot I get all the lights on my PC tower on the three lights on my keyboard are lit up but my monitor s light is on stanby orange There is no image on my screen whatsoever When I push the power button on my monitor it turns green for a few seconds then shuts off never displaying any image My mouse has the red light coming from the bottom When I hit the power button on my PC tower nothing happens So I turn off the power strip and tuen it back on then hit the power on my tower this time I get a quot system failed VDA or VGA test quot sound from my speakers Everything else is like i said in the previous paragraph I m almost positive its not a virus or anything as I had just run a spyware and virus test earlier the same day I m not even sure I m in the right subforum as I don t have any idea what the problem involves Never heard of thos before I have Windows XP home ed Any help would be REALLY appreciated Thanks nbsp

A:In Dire need of help- System failed CPU test/ VDA test

if you have more than 1 pc, try swapping video cards, the card may have gone bad.

Also you processor may have fried (unlikely)

Maybe a local PC shop can test you video card? If it isnt the card, I will go further with my advice

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/in-dire-need-of-help-system-failed-cpu-test-vda-test.712943/
Relevancy 103.2%

Ok where to start First I ve had this PC for about years without any problems I have my computer set to go to a blank screensaver after min of not being used and power off the monitor after minutes of not being used The other week the test In need System of Dire VDA failed test/ CPU help- image on my entire computer screen would shake and sometimes you could smell something burning Sometimes when the screen shaked so bad the monitor would just go blank for a few seconds then back to what I was doing BTW it has nothing to do with whatever I m doing on the computer the shaking screen happens regardless I thought it was just a problem with the monitor until today when I actually shut my PC off after recieving Windows updates last night When I went to turn it back on audio came out of my speakers saying quot system failed CPU test quot I get all the lights on my PC tower on the In Dire need of help- System failed CPU test/ VDA test three lights on my keyboard are lit up but In Dire need of help- System failed CPU test/ VDA test my monitor s light is on stanby orange There is no image on my screen whatsoever When I push the power button on my monitor it turns green for a few seconds then shuts off never displaying any image My mouse has the red light coming from the bottom When I hit the power button on my PC tower nothing happens So I turn off the power strip and tuen it back on then hit the power on my tower this time I get a quot system failed VDA or VGA test quot sound from my speakers Everything else is like i said in the previous paragraph I m almost positive its not a virus or anything as I had just run a spyware and virus test earlier the same day I m not even sure I m in the right subforum as I don t have any idea what the problem involves Never heard of thos before Any help would be REALLY appreciated Thanks nbsp

A:In Dire need of help- System failed CPU test/ VDA test

I have Windows XP home edition, fyi

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/in-dire-need-of-help-system-failed-cpu-test-vda-test.712836/
Relevancy 103.2%

I have set up comodo firewall with help from cruelsisters review (parts 1 & 2) And decided to run comodo's leak test and comodo failed its own leak test!
Has anyone else had this problem or have i set it up wrong?

A:Comodo leak test, failed own test?

Switch to proactive, now you are in internet security (that's why).

https://malwaretips.com/threads/comodo-leak-test-failed-own-test.56984/
Relevancy 101.91%

My HP laptop's ODD is not able to write disks, on running Optical Drive Read Compare Test it gave me a "failed" message with  failure ID QBRXWM-7RV87M-XD7WMF-6HLB03 .

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/OPTICAL-DRIVE-READ-WRITE-COMPARE-TEST-FAILED/td-p/5747839
Relevancy 101.91%

My HP laptop's ODD is not able to write disks, on running Optical Drive Read Compare Test it gave me a "failed" message with  failure ID QBRXWM-7RV87M-XD7WMF-6HLB03 .

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/OPTICAL-DRIVE-READ-WRITE-COMPARE-TEST-FAILED/td-p/5747839
Relevancy 97.61%

Which is the recommended location to maintain Product Regression Test Suite ? Would it be QC Test Plan or Test Lab ? (specially for applications that tend to change consistently over time which might require us to update core regression suite as well as functional test cases regularly)  

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Commercial-PC-Software/Product-Regression-Test-Suite-in-QC-Test-Plan-or-Test-Lab/td-p/5818351
Relevancy 97.61%

Which is the recommended location to maintain Product Regression Test Suite ? Would it be QC Test Plan or Test Lab ? (specially for applications that tend to change consistently over time which might require us to update core regression suite as well as functional test cases regularly)  

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Commercial-PC-Software/Product-Regression-Test-Suite-in-QC-Test-Plan-or-Test-Lab/td-p/5818351
Relevancy 94.17%

I ran a diagnostic test on my computer because I am unable to boot my operating system. When I start the computer, I get the CNTRL ALT DEL screen and then the password screen but from there I get a dialog box that states "the procedure entry point CoRegisterInitializeSpy could not be located in the dynamic link library ole32.dll" and a blank desktop. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Relevancy 91.59%

what is Smart self test I was running system recovery and it failed
it

A:short self test

Your hard drive is failing...

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/212834-short-self-test.html
Relevancy 91.59%

My power supply died

Before I install a new Power Supply ,where can I test for possible shorts?

Relevancy 90.3%

PC Hardware Diagnostics Test Failed:Test Name: HPAdvSysDiag_SystemFailure ID: 90C0XK-86J89R-XD7WMF-60WD03Product Number: M9V02PASerial Number: CND5310ZJ6Hp notebook 15-ac026txMy system is 1 year old , encountering problems like disk % is alwayd 100 , startup freezes, windows corrupts , local disk delete automatically .

A:hdd short test failure

Whenever the Hard Disk Short DST test fails that indicates that the Hard Disk Drive has failed and that requires a replacement to resolve the issue This issue could be due to Application or driver conflicts, virus issues, file corruptions due to incompatible applications, improper shutdowns, update failures due to conflicts, sudden power surges, if notebook is dropped etc.. HP will provide a replacement Hard Disk Drive if the Notebook warranty is Active, If not you need buy a SATA Hard Disk Drive from a retail shop nearby Please make sure you are getting at least equal capacity as the original one in order to use Recovery Disks. If you need you can buy a larger, but not smaller capacity Hard Disk Drive. For example if you have a 500GB Hard Disk Drive you can upgrade it to 750GB Hard Disk Drive but not 320GB Hard Disk Drive Please try the below shown troubleshooting steps once:Step 01. Remove the battery and unplug the AC/Power AdapterStep 02. Press and hold the Power button for more than 30 SecondsStep 03. Plug in the AC/Power Adapter (leave the Battery out for now)Step 04. Press the Power button and check if the Unit works normal If the above mentioned steps does not help, then you can try reseating the Hard Drive on your Notebook If the issue persists again please Contact HP if your HP Notebook is under warranty, HP would replace the Hard Disk Drive and provide you a Recovery media to restore factory operating system after replacement (if you've not yet created Recovery Discs/USB Media) Note: Back up all the personal data to an external drive if it's possible. Otherwise you could connect the failed HDD via SATA to USB adapter with another PC or same PC after replacement of HDD & re-installation of OS and try copying /recovering the files. You can also refer to the below shown link for further supporthttp://www.wikihow.com/Recover-Data-from-the-Hard-Drive-of-a-Dead-Laptop Please click on the link In order to Identify, Prevent, Diagnose & Recover from Drive Failures on HP Notebook Hard Drives & Solid State Drives :http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02876562.pdf  You can Check your warranty Here to verify the status and Click Here to order a new Hard Drive   Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again  **Click the White Thumbs Up Button on the right to say Thanks**Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem. Thank You,GBL84I am not an HP Employee

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/hdd-short-test-failure/td-p/5839593
Relevancy 90.3%

I have a Dell Latitude D505 laptop and just yesterday when I try to open certain programs like Outlook, Internet Explorer, Microsoft Office to name a few the program does not open and my computer locks up. Some other files open ok, its just that when I open certain ones it locks up. When I do a diagnostic I get an error at the DST test. The error I get is:

Start DST SHort Test
Test Results : Fail
Error COde : 1000-0146
Msg : Unit 0: DST Log contains previous error(s).

ANy one got any suggestions?

A:WIN XP DST short test fail

Run the System File Checker

Go to the Run box on the Start Menu and type in:

sfc /scannow

This command will immediately initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files and verify their integrity, replacing any files with which it finds a problem.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/win-xp-dst-short-test-fail-54330.html
Relevancy 89.44%

Dell Inspiron 8600
Windows XP
Started up the othe day and got the "blue error" screen. Ran the diagnostic from F2 and got the following:

DST Short Status Test
Fail
error: 1000-0143
msg: Unit 0 - Drive SMART read command failed

Help please!!!

A:DST Short Status Test Error

SMART is a hard drive error reporting feature available on SOME (not all) hard drives, via hard drive firmware.

Check your BIOS Setup and see if it is enabled. IF the HD has the feature you will be able to enable it. It is an option usually in the same window listing your hard drives.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/dst-short-status-test-error-246736.html
Relevancy 89.44%

I recently had problems with my computer and I did a system test which came up with the failure Id 9gf14k-79j87h-qffv6k-60rn03. What does this mean and how do I fix it?

A:Short DST failure in system test

@JockoTheTaco?, welcome to the forum. This error message is telling you that your hard drive has failed.  Your only option is to replace it.  You should buy a HDD the same size or larger to assure that the Recovery media will work with it. Here is a guide to help you with the replacement. Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/Short-DST-failure-in-system-test/td-p/5742957
Relevancy 88.58%

My Dell Labtop can't detect the internal Hard drive
I get this Error Msg:
Error Code 0141
Msg: Error Code 2000-0141
Msg: Hard Drive- No Drive Detected
The Given error code and message can be used by Dell
Technical Support to help Diagnose the Problem.
My Question is 2 things : first What other information would you need to better help me with this situation

2nd ~ If its not detecting my hard drive at all ...does that mean I have Bad cells ?

Relevancy 88.58%

HP diagnostics returned error code 9lhvwc-5rg85u-mfh15f-60t903 during a hard drive short self test this evening. Prior to the test, the disk drive was working very slowly, as if it had trouble reading data. I am able to log in with windows in it's normal mode, but the drive performs poorly. Safe mode is better. I own an HP dv7-6175us with serial number 5ch134ijx7.

A:Hard Drive failure during short test

I suspect it's an issue with the header, because the disk drive was also clicking, and it was the click you hear when the accelerometer halts the hard drive. I suspect it's impact/shock damage. It was repeatedly clicking for about 5 time before I shut it down manually.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Hard-Drive-failure-during-short-test/td-p/5681815
Relevancy 88.58%

i have dell inspiron n 5010 ,and after starting 2-3 minutes later it completely switch offs and it happens every time .i ran dianostics from boot menu and found dst short test hard drive fail error code 2000-0146 but after starting i can easily open hard drive before it automatically switch offs.Please Help

A:Dst short test Hard drive failure

It sounds as if it should be replaced before it fails permanently.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/331389-dst-short-test-hard-drive-failure.html
Relevancy 88.58%

I have a Dell Inspirion operating on Windows XP with a new as of Test DST Short but Fail, Pass? ChkDsk four months ago Seagate SATA hard drive I don t remember the exact specs but it s G and I ve only used about half that A few days ago my DST Short Test Fail, but ChkDsk Pass? Seagate Freego external drive was taking forever to disconnect so I just pulled it out I promptly got the blue screen of death for the first time restarted my computer manually and everything seemed fine Today I tried to Hibernate my computer and it froze before completing the hibernation I shut it off manually and restarted it When it reached the quot Dell quot bootup screen I ran the onboard diagnostics test There it gave me the error code of quot DST Short Test Fail quot I ran chkdsk next to see if I could repair the problem and chkdsk said I was fine I restarted my computer correctly ran diagnostics again and recieved this error code quot DST Short Test Fail quot To the best of my knowledge my computer has never been jolted dropped has no viruses and has not been abused in anyway since the new DST Short Test Fail, but ChkDsk Pass? hard drive in April Is my hard drive really dying again Or is DST Short Test Fail, but ChkDsk Pass? my diagnostic test lying to me My last hard drive which had good cause to fail also gave me the error messages but in that instance Chkdsk found corrupted sectors I ve never seen a scenario like the one I have now before Thanks nbsp

A:DST Short Test Fail, but ChkDsk Pass?

The general consensus seems to be you're looking at HD failure soon.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dst-short-test-fail-but-chkdsk-pass.941042/
Relevancy 88.15%

My chassis has some quality problem but I cannot afford to buy a new one at the moment. Especially the hard drive part, the mounting part of the hard drive is very unusual. Sometimes the computer could give unknown strange noise, it still works perfectly, though.

So I test the HDD

I tested the HDD by CrystalDiskInfo. This is the result. I only know it's "Good", but I don't know if the temperature is alright and what those values mean. I've captured the screen. Could anyone help see if it's good. Thanks

A:SMART Test result

That temperature is fine......the noise you are hearing is probably the disk mount rattling against the chassis/screws. Its nothing to be concerned about unless its extremely loose, and the HDD is physically moving a lot.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/294537-smart-test-result.html
Relevancy 88.15%

Hello! I bought a new hdd drive and it has values of reallocated sector count and uncorrectable sector count both 252. As far as I understand they should be 0. What does it mean?

A:smart test issue

These are usually signs of a potential failure of the hard disk. Are there any obvious signs that the disk is having issues (clicking noises, unresponsive system, constant disk light activity)? Ensure you make regular backups, and consider replacing this disk.

Quote:
Count of reallocated sectors. When the hard drive finds a read/write/verification error, it marks that sector as "reallocated" and transfers data to a special reserved area (spare area). This process is also known as remapping, and reallocated sectors are called "remaps". The raw value normally represents a count of the bad sectors that have been found and remapped. Thus, the higher the attribute value, the more sectors the drive has had to reallocate. This allows a drive with bad sectors to continue operation; however, a drive which has had any reallocations at all is significantly more likely to fail in the near future.[2] While primarily used as a metric of the life expectancy of the drive, this number also affects performance. As the count of reallocated sectors increases, the read/write speed tends to become worse because the drive head is forced to seek to the reserved area whenever a remap is accessed. If sequential access speed is critical, the remapped sectors can be manually marked as bad blocks in the file system in order to prevent their use.

Quote:
The total count of uncorrectable errors when reading/writing a sector. A rise in the value of this attribute indicates defects of the disk surface and/or problems in the mechanical subsystem.

S.M.A.R.T. - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/292783-smart-test-issue.html
Relevancy 87.72%

I have an DST Short Test error code 1000-0146 It wont run in safe mode or any mode. I need help plz.
Thank you.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dst-short-test-error-code-1000-0146.971534/
Relevancy 87.72%

Dell Latitude D600 will not boot. While running F12 diagnostics this error message displayed: DST Short Test Fail - Error Code 1000 - 0146. Can this be fixed?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dst-short-test-error-code-1000-0146.771728/
Relevancy 87.72%

This is an attempt at understanding what makes a power supply wake up.

I believe that you have to short a couple pins in order to make this happen.
Anyone know what pins to short?
Or am I on the wrong track?
I have a Power Supply checker that causes the PS to come to life when it is plugged into the molex connector. However, i am curious if, in the absence of this tester, if I could check the PS with a multimeter.

A:What pins should I short to start power supply so I can test it?

http://www.ochardware.com/articles/psuvolt/psuvolt.html

http://modtown.co.uk/mt/article2.php?id=psumod

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-pins-should-i-short-to-start-power-supply-so-i-can-test-it.49319/
Relevancy 87.72%

The Dell desktop motherboard has a front panel connection with a total of pins and a separate power switch connection Anyone know if it s just a matter of finding the power pins Motherboard What To Pins A Test I Run 7010 2 Do Short It? Dell On to short and start this up or is there more to it I ve tried shorting every pin setup in the front panel and power switch no luck although I suppose it could mean a bad motherboard However without knowing what pins are for power how am I suppose to know for sure Also is it possible that more then pins have to be shorted or touching to start this bleeping dell motherboard I m guessing the power pins that I would have to short are in the power switch connections and therefore I don t have to do anything to the pins in the front panel connections I m hoping there are no other pins that need to be connected besides power pins to get this to start I m not concerned with What 2 Pins Do I Short On A Dell 7010 Motherboard To Test Run It? any other pins except maybe restart nbsp

A:What 2 Pins Do I Short On A Dell 7010 Motherboard To Test Run It?

Hopefully the manual will help.
http://www.dell.com/support/home/us...anuals?&_suid=1466538810990028524051865116334
I would download the first one.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/index.php?threads/what-2-pins-do-i-short-on-a-dell-7010-motherboard-to-test-run-it.304985/
Relevancy 87.72%

I keep getting an error code that says windows is unable to run so Please 1000-0146??? Test - code : - Help! 'Fail' Short DST I have tried to start it up in safe mode and any other mode that it has given me an option to do but I still keep getting the blue stop screen I can t get anywhere beyond that point When the computer first began the reboot I Please Help! : DST Short Test - 'Fail' - code 1000-0146??? hit the F key to run the diagnostics and the error code that I got was quot DST Short Test - Fail - code - quot quot msg Unit DST Log contains previous error quot but I can t get into the thing to try to figure out the problem I m frozen once that blue screen comes up-- I can t access the command prompt or controls or anything Please Help! : DST Short Test - 'Fail' - code 1000-0146??? I have not installed or uninstalled anything so I don t know why it happened in the first place I m completely stumped Please Help! : DST Short Test - 'Fail' - code 1000-0146??? what should I do Please please help nbsp

A:Please Help! : DST Short Test - 'Fail' - code 1000-0146???

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/please-help-dst-short-test-fail-code-1000-0146.546422/
Relevancy 87.72%

I have a HP Pavilion g7 that wouldn't boot up. I did the restart and press F2 to run the system checks and it came up that the hard drive short dst test failed.  Can the files still be retrieved fron the hard drive? If so, how do I do it? Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.  

Have a great day,Dawn

A:i have a hp pavilion g7. the hard drive short dst test faile...

dsm6380 wrote:I have a HP Pavilion g7 that wouldn't boot up. I did the restart and press F2 to run the system checks and it came up that the hard drive short dst test failed.  Can the files still be retrieved fron the hard drive? If so, how do I do it? Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.  Yes, the files can most likely still be retrieved.  To do this, you would need to take the hard drive out of the notebook and connect it directly to a desktop computer or insert it into an external hard drive dock/cradle and browse to the files you need.  If you feel this is too difficult then you could take it to a local computer repair store and they'll be able to do this for you (for their fee). Once you've got the old drive out, you can have another put in and recover the operating system using the HP Recovery Media and it'll put the notebook back into the same condition as it came out of the box.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/i-have-a-hp-pavilion-g7-the-hard-drive-short-dst-test-failed/td-p/5713072
Relevancy 86.86%

Hi Folks I have a Sony HDD Failing Results Test SMART - Vaio laptop that s less than a year and a half old I replaced the HDD once when it died Fujitsu brand but now I m afraid I might be having more Failing HDD - SMART Test Results problems I primarily use Windows Vista please spare me the jokes but I was able to boot into Ubuntu LiveCD to run SMART tests I am posting the SMART results for the short test below and I m hoping Failing HDD - SMART Test Results somebody can help me interpret them because I have no idea what they mean I ran the long SMART test too but it gave the same results I really appreciate any help I really hope there s a way to recover my data and save the drive Some symptoms Cannot boot into Vista says registry corrupted Cannot boot into windows recovery partition to run the startup repair it starts booting but hangs with black screen and white pointer which I can move around I can t even boot from Vaio Restore CD it also hangs at black screen HDD activity light solid Here s the SMART results email protected sudo smartctl -a dev sda smartctl version i -pc-linux-gnu Copyright - Bruce Allen Home page is http smartmontools sourceforge net START OF INFORMATION SECTION Device Model FUJITSU MHX BT Serial Number K T E Y Firmware Version B User Capacity bytes Device is Not in smartctl database for details use -P showall ATA Version is ATA Standard is Not recognized Minor revision code x Local Time is Wed Mar UTC SMART support is Available - device has SMART capability SMART support is Enabled START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION SMART overall-health self-assessment test result PASSED General SMART Values Offline data collection status x Offline data collection activity was never started Auto Offline Data Collection Disabled Self-test execution status The previous self-test completed having the read element of the test failed Total time to complete Offline data collection seconds Offline data collection capabilities x b SMART execute Offline immediate Auto Offline data collection on off support Suspend Offline collection upon new command Offline surface scan supported Self-test supported Conveyance Self-test supported Selective Self-test supported SMART capabilities x Saves SMART data before entering power-saving mode Supports SMART auto save timer Error logging capability x Error logging supported General Purpose Logging supported Short self-test routine recommended polling time minutes Extended self-test routine recommended polling time minutes Conveyance self-test routine recommended polling time minutes SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds ID ATTRIBUTE NAME FLAG VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE UPDATED WHEN FAILED RAW VALUE Raw Read Error Rate x f Pre-fail Always - Throughput Performance x Pre-fail Offline - Spin Up Time x Pre-fail Always - Start Stop Count x Old age Always - Reallocated Sector Ct x Pre-fail Always - Seek Error Rate x f Pre-fail Always - Seek Time Performance x Pre-fail Offline - Power On Hours x Old age Always - Spin Retry Count x Pre-fail Always - Power Cycle Count x Old age Always - Power-Off Retract Count x Old age Always - Load Cycle Count x Old age Always - Temperature Celsius x Old age Always - Lifetime Min Max Hardware ECC Recovered x a Old age Always - Reallocated Event Count x Old age Always - Current Pending Sector x Old age Always - Offline Uncorrectable x Old age Offline - UDMA CRC Error Count x e Old age Always - Multi Zone Error Rate x f Pre-fail Always - Run Out Cancel x Old age Always - Head Flying Hours x e Old age Always - SMART Error Log Version ATA Error Count device log contains only the most recent five errors CR Command Register HEX FR Features Register HEX SC Sector Count Register HEX SN Sector Number Register HEX CL Cylinder Low Register HEX CH Cylinder High Register HEX DH Device Head Register HEX DC Device Command Register HEX ER Error register HEX ST Status register HEX Powered Up Time is measured from power on and prin... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/failing-hdd-smart-test-results.806458/
Relevancy 86.86%

When I run the SMART short and extended test in the bios they both fail. If your drive fails these test you should definitely replace your hard drive?

A:Samsung HDD failing SMART test

Most likely yes, it could be false positive but tits usually not and an indication that the drive is not performing up to the full specifications or the drive has failures.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/samsung-hdd-failing-smart-test.932362/
Relevancy 86.86%

The only thing that failed is "Re-allocated sector count: results are value 138, threshold 140, worst 138.

What does this mean to me?

I have noticed my laptop heating up more than normal for a couple of weeks. Is this bad news?

Thanks,
Bill

A:Smart test Failure on HD. What do these results mean?

A smart failure tends to mean ...well failure is pretty imminent you probably should backup data now while it's still booting. It could hold out for as long as a year in that state, or it could die completely tomorrow.
From my own experience that's pretty much it.
A SMART failure always means some key component in the drive is on it's way out.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/251234-smart-test-failure-hd-what-do-these-results-mean.html
Relevancy 86.86%

I own a Dell XPS 8300 that is brand new. Today I ran a PC Checkup, using Dell''s recommended settings. Everything passed, except for the SMART Thresholds test which read "Cannot read." Can someone please tell me what this means, why it happened, and what, if anything I can do about it? Thank you!

A:SMART Thresholds test problem

I think you need root OS admin for that raw test to run from within windows.
I could be mistaken.
I don't think this is an indication that your disk is bad but rather a failure of the test to run properly.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/178846-smart-thresholds-test-problem.html
Relevancy 86.43%

I am helping my friend try to fix his computer ( it's a Dell latitude 600 with windows XP) and ran the diagnostic on the start up and got the start dst short test error code 1000 0146. It let's me load windows but some programs are slow and wont let me browse the Internet at all. I installed webroot virus scanner and it detected a win 32 virus and got ride of it but still having the same problem with the same error coming up. Any help would be appreciated.

Relevancy 86.43%

Dell laptop wont boot, keeps blue screening and when press F12 and run diagnostics it fails the DST short test. Sure this must have happened before!?

A:DST Short test fail, error code 2000-0142

It means the hard drive has failed and will have to be replaced with a new one.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/dst-short-test-fail-error-code-2000-0142-a-595375.html
Relevancy 86%

Roommate's Dad's HP Slimline desktop won't start past BIOS splash screen. Booted into onboard diagnostics for full test which reports SMART test failed Error Code 303. Google says imminent drive failure.

I have Hitachi Hard drive fitness test which is quite good and plan to run it on the drive when it arrives tonight. But even if it repairs HD enough to start, can drive be trusted?

Often reading SMART with Crystal Disk Info will show warnings that never lead to failure but since the drive won't boot it doesn't seem wise to try to repair it any more than what it takes to get data off. What are your opinions on this?

This is a 1TB Hitachi HD which he doesn't use more than 25 gb, so I plan to pick up an SSD if price is comparable for replacement. Any suggestions?

A:HP SMART Test failure - Trust Repair?

An SSD at 128 would be a sensible solution based on what you are saying. OS and programs may well use 50% of that. Files should not take more than 20 except for sound and pictures.
Age of the Hitachi and hours of run time are important factors here-so saving data is critical in the end. As you have written-it would be best to do a "clean install" on a new drive.
Just my 2 pennys worth

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/318501-hp-smart-test-failure-trust-repair.html
Relevancy 86%

Hi, I have just bought the first Lenovo Laptops and after run a test, there is a warning sign from the SMART Drive self test. What is this mean? The hard drive having problem? 

A:"Warning" for SMART drive self test (model 700 ser...

Hi Vickles , 

S.M.A.R.T. (Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology; often written as SMART) is a monitoring system included in computer hard disk drives (HDDs) and solid-state drives (SSDs)[1] that detects and reports on various indicators of drive reliability, with the intent of enabling the anticipation of hardware failures. 

You may consider calling back the reseller as it is an integrity failure that may be bound to happen in the near future specially if you have freezing issue / BSOD /slow performance and worst as clicking noise. 

Was wondering what brand of harddrive you have as this may happen to any OEM systems . But good that you're able to run diagnostics for over check up, likewise you may also verify its finding by using other similar test like this and this . 

You may call in tech support for repair options too.

Hope this answered your query. 
Update us how things go for you best.

Regards

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-IdeaPad-100-305-500-Edge/quot-Warning-quot-for-SMART-drive-self-test-model-700-series/td-p/3308141
Relevancy 85.57%

so recently ive been trying to hook up my lap top to my hdtv and ive been messing around trying to get the screen to display. the other day i turned on my dell inspiron notebook and found that after the boot screen the screen goes black/blank. i can hear the desktop and i hear my mouse so i know that the desktop is there. the monitor is just not responding. i did a diagnostic test on the computer and got the error message dst short test error code 1000 - 0146. What does this mean? is this why my monitor won't respond. please any help would be appreciated. i just want my laptop to work again.

A:blank monitor dst short test error code 1000 - 0146

So "dst short test error code 1000 - 0146" is the full error message?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/227223/blank-monitor-dst-short-test-error-code-1000-0146/
Relevancy 85.57%

On my dell Inspiron 1150 windows XP HE, I have random blue screens.

I obtain with dell diagnosis ST short test Fail code 1000-0146.
Test memory was fine and hard drive test done with Fujitsu program also.
My laptop works, but sometimes, there is a blue screen, without apparent raisons. It can happens when I shut the system off or when I am on the web.
But the computer opens normally after that.
Thank you in advance for help

Relevancy 85.57%

My laptop will not boot, the screen comes on and the dell logo is there and the lights flash around the like it's trying to boot and then it goes dark and that's it.  When I check the setup it can find the hard drive, it lists it by the HDD.  When I run diagnostics it fails with short test unsuccessful.  I have reseated the hard drive and tried to reboot,  but it is not working.  I'd like to run chkdsk /r from the command console like I saw in one of the possible solutions, but I don't know how to get to the command console.  I'm thinking I need a new hard drive but I would like to try everything to save this one first.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19995068
Relevancy 85.57%

so recently ive been trying to hook up my lap top to my hdtv and ive been messing around trying to get the screen to display. the other day i turned on my dell inspiron notebook and found that after the boot screen the screen goes black/blank. i can hear the desktop and i hear my mouse so i know that the desktop is there. the monitor is just not responding. i did a diagnostic test on the computer and got the error message dst short test error code 1000 - 0146. What does this mean? is this why my monitor won't respond. please any help would be appreciated. i just want my laptop to work again.

i just tried to boot in in safe mode but its stuck on a file called mup.sys please i dont know what to do should i just replace the harddrive with a new one

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/blank-monitor-dst-short-test-error-code-1000-0146.827492/
Relevancy 85.57%

hi, the 'dst' means drive short test, so a problem is showing on your hard drive. You may want to consider running the longer test offered in the diagnostics section on your hard drive, but of course running tests on a failing drive has a risk attached. Do you have all your files backed up? If not, do you have another computer available, you could slave the drive to it in order to try to get your files off. Or, Can you get in to safe mode on your inspiron, as you start the notebook press the F8 key up and down to get to the safe mode menu. If you can do this back up your files before running the extended test.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/blank-monitor-dst-short-test-error-code-1000-0146-a-376426.html
Relevancy 85.57%

So I guess MBAM paid off AV-Test? I guess this is also inaccurate info and just marketing?

https://blog.malwarebytes.org/news/...ware-free-scores-100-in-av-test-removal-test/

They also recently won best repair award for 2014

http://www.av-test.org/en/test-procedures/award/av-test-award-2014/

A:Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free scores 100% in AV-TEST removal test!

Why would the Kaspersky Removal Tool score higher than the Internet Suite package of Kaspersky ?
This is weird. I thought that if you have a technology to make a product on the side, might as well offer that same technology in a package you're offering (paid package).

https://malwaretips.com/threads/malwarebytes-anti-malware-free-scores-100-in-av-test-removal-test.31780/
Relevancy 85.57%

I remember about two months ago I was doing stress testing just to test the stability of my computer. Whenever I did a test that tested a lot of RAM, the test would fail within minutes and it would say "Execution Halted.."

Just recently I did an RMA with kingston and they sent me 2 brand new sticks of RAM which I installed. I just now got around to testing again but the test still fails within minutes - I am stumped.

Is it possible my memory controller / motherboard is bad? The RAM is brand new.

A:prime95 stress test/torture test failing within minutes even after installing new RAM

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/prime95-stress-test-torture-test-failing-within-minutes-even-after-installing-new-ram.721447/
Relevancy 85.14%

AVLab ransomware test
October 2016

All products tested with default settings

The best +++

=====================================================
Best ++
Avast Internet Security 2016
Avira Internet Security Suite
Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition
Bitdefender Internet Security 2017
Dr. Web Space Security
ESET Smart Security 10 (BETA)
TrustPort Internet Security
=========================================================
Good +
Avast Free Antivirus 2016
AVG AntiVirus Free Edition
AVG Internet Security
Comodo Internet Security 8
Full pdf report
https://avlab.pl/sites/default/files/68files/ENG_2016_ransomware.pdf​

https://malwaretips.com/threads/avlab-ransomware-test-october-2016-1st-test-for-voodoshield.65362/
Relevancy 85.14%

Data Recovery using partitions Recovery using test within DRPs Data folders test on DRPs on test folders within test partitions Because of Windows OS and rd party programs and utilities constant cycle of deleting copying writing deleting copying writing The sooner one learns of any unwanted deletion s the sooner one engages any process of un-delete and or data recovery the better the chances of quality un-delete or recovery An un-delete's or data recovery's listing of quot un-deleted or recovered quot folders and files does not mean each and every quot un-deleted or recovered quot file is actually readable and or usable Listing results and real un-delete recovery can vary significantly I have been using Resplendence's Undelux awhile now and I remain surprised as to the busy-ness of Windows OS and rd party stuff constant cycle of delete copy write delete copy write I'm starting this thread here to gather experiences from others who have attempted and Data Recovery using DRPs on test folders within test partitions succeeded in data recovery This topic is not at all important or exciting -- until one needs to recover critical or important folders amp files accidentally deleted or quick-formatted I remember one poster somewhere on the 'Net indicating s he quot tried everything quot with several data recovery programs -- which lead me to believe that what was displayed on the monitor did not match end-user expectations The topic title reflects changes Wanting to presently being very efficient and effective with and someday tutorialize how to use the various tools within just six data recovery programs or utilities set up GB test partitions NTFS After setting up the test partitions after full-formatting same copied the test folders from my d-partition onto said test partitions -- each GB partition having two folders with selected files normal folder in which the files themselves have been deleted folder of which I simply deleted The selected files have various extensions such as mp mp zip htm doc txt etc I named the two folders Undeleted Folder and Deleted Folder From the beginning I'm used Acronis Disk Director to create the test partitions I used Windows Professional bit NTFS to create the test folders and for copying the already-existing files into said folders Essentially W Pro is the Windows being used by the six DPs If there are any read write engines built into the high-end DPs I'll try to mention them as I use them I changed one partition into DeletedPartition and added one more into the soup FormattedPartition I quot converted quot the contents in all partitions into DeletedFiles folder Deleted Folder DeletedFilesAndFolder -- to represent the most common problems that lead to either a folder file restore from a previous backup or onward to data recovery ranging from Whew GotEmBack all the way to HoleyMoley Steps I simply had to choose what programs and utilities to use out of so many great choices I settled on Piriform Recova Wise Data Recovery MiniTool Power Data Recovery Restorer Ultimate Steller and R-Studio A quick review of some things Long ago us old timers heard of and used terms such as FAT File Allocation Tables and DIRectories which were stored right after Boot Sector on Track Zero FAT and DIR are part of the main post office to the houses i e the folders and files on the magnetic media I'm not concerned with CDs and DVDs at this time Using an anology that can be snapped like a rubber band if stretched too far You and your family are the contents within your house a specific file The post office knows your street address number and your family name When a file is simply deleted the main post office no longer has your beginning house number nor the first letter of your family name If the whole block a folder is deleted although the main post office probably no longer has the stuff mentioned earlier however if you're lucky a sub-station just might have the needed numbers and first letters along with the whole names ... Read more

http://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/38103-data-recovery-using-drps-test-folders-within-test-partitions.html