Windows Support Forum

NO POWER, Is it power supply or motherboard?

Q: NO POWER, Is it power supply or motherboard?

HP Palvilion m c Motherboard IPIBL-LA Berkeley http h www hp com ewfrf wc lc en amp lang en amp lc en amp product amp task N Power Supply DPS- ab- a http www itwinkle com hp posu html Hello all this is my power Is NO motherboard? it or supply POWER, first post First let me thank all NO POWER, Is it power supply or motherboard? for being here and sharing your vast knowledge My PC and power supply is above web-links included for more accurate description Also I have scoured this forum internet attempting to resolved and yes there is a ton of info The problem is the I cannot find specific details quot similar quot to my problem regarding how they determined the repair action other than replaced power or mobo So hopefully when this is resolved this will help someone with my similar problem - Problem gt PC will not turn-on just as if not plugged into power source -- Sypnopsis gt Nothing unusual happened as far as I know Shut-down PC for the evening as usual next day went to turn it on nothing - Troubleshooting accomplished -- Checked power outlet amp cords checked good -- Green light on back of power supply is steady green normal indication -- Removed power supply to test with multi-meter Strapped jumpered pins green wire with ground blk wire All appears normal everything is in range of specifications values below pin pin pin pin pin pin pin pin pin pin pin - pin pin pin -- Tested my power button wires for continuity on PC case properly shorts -- Reassemble everything still nothing -- Disassemble entire PC motherboard is sitting on cardboard box --- Items plugged into motherboard -pin atx plug and from NO POWER, Is it power supply or motherboard? power supply -pin plug volt from power supply gig ram stick CPU amp CPU fan - Goal gt power-on motherboard -- Tried shorting power button pins nothing -- Tried shorting reset pins nothing -- Jump-started NO POWER, Is it power supply or motherboard? atx plug with paper clip POWERS ON See link below for example http www youtube com watch v FCspIGgBV amp feature related Unfortunately unlike the youtube video when I remove the paper clip I lose power and back to square one - Back to the PS tested PS with strap jumper on when I remove the strap the ATX loses power through its plugs though the green light stays constant green There is no external on off switch on the power supply -- Should the power supply lose power once the strap is removed -- If so how does the power supply know to stay on -- Any help is much appreciated trying to determine if power supply is bad MOBO etc and if I can repair it Also I cannot swap items I do not have any additional parts laying around ADDITONAL NOTES - When powered on the mobo pwr-btn pins and the reset pins have voltage accross them volts dc pwr btn pins though has quot NO quot effect when shorted volts dc reset pins resets when shorted it works the way it should - Attached additional items to see if I could fully boot PC System Fan note will not boot without this fan plugged-in quot ERROR System Fan Has Failed Service PC to prevent damage to the System Press F to continue quot video card geforce gt hp pn- key board plugged into PS keyboard port mouse plugged into PS mouse port Hard drive When strapped I can boot competely up and log-on to desktop When I choose quot restart quot via windows soft button it resets properly When I choose quot shutdown quot it will shutdown but then I have to remove the strap and reset the cmos I get no display unless I reset the CMOS to boot up properly again I m guessing ultimately its the power supply Since the problem directs back to losing power The PC boots properly when I make the conditions right so that would most likely eliminate a motherboard or cpu problem What I don t understand nor can I find any info on is how does the power supply stay activate I m aware of the shorting of the power button pins on the mobo Probably thinking too much into it but the power supply seems to be working accept for the mystery quot no power switch quot issue I m going to hunt down a power supply from somewhere and try it Again any help is much appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: NO POWER, Is it power supply or motherboard?

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 104.92%

Hi, I just bought an HP pavilion e9300 a few week ago. And I am going to upgrade the power supply so that I can get a new graphic card--ATI 4870 which requires at least 500 watt power supply. My current computer is shipped with a 350 watt power supply. I will probably get a 650 watt considering the 70% effeciency of power supply.
However, when I talked to an HP technician, he insisted that I could go for a power supply with no more 450 watt. Because the system I just got has a motherboard which has a max power limit 450 watt. He said if I go beyond that, the motherboard will burn out.
So what shall I do? I really want to get ATI 4870 work well on my computer.
Thx very much.

A:Does power supply with higher power rating really burn motherboard?

The long answer is "No".
Just be sure of the dimensions of the power supply before you order a replacement, as HP uses some pretty strange sizes sometimes, and you want the new one to fit with room to spare.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/does-power-supply-with-higher-power-rating-really-burn-motherboard.148700/
Relevancy 104.92%

It's been a while since I built a system from scratch and have a... errr... simple question

gfx: Sapphire HD3850 512MB Ultimate (passive)
http://www.sapphiretech.com/us/products/products_overview.php?gpid=225&grp=3

MB: MSI P35 Neo2 FIR
http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=proddesc&prod_no=1261&maincat_no=1

PSU: Seasonic M12II 500W
http://www.seasonic.com/product/pc_retail.jsp

The motherboard has a power connector for the graphic card next to the slot.

Is there any reason I should connect the power for the card to the power connector on the board instead of directly to the power supply?

A:Graphic card power to power supply or connector on motherboard?

First time I have ever seen that feature. I like it. I'm thinking that is a neat/easy way to partially eliminate cable clutter from the PSU. Give it a shot, you can always revert to PSU cable if you wish.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/graphic-card-power-to-power-supply-or-connector-on-motherboard.705154/
Relevancy 104.92%

I have a Sony VGC-RB42G computer. I recently moved my computer, cleaned off all the dust, and when I plugged everything back in, it won't power up. The light on the power supply blinks green, inside the motherboard also has a green light that blinks as well. It has a ticking sound too, but I am not sure if it is coming from the power supply or the motherboard. Any idea what could be wrong.

FYI, I have already unplugged everything from the power supply, pulled out the ram, checked the battery, and put everything back together and still no change. One thing I thought was strange was after I unplugged everything, I pulled the power into the power supply again and this time the green light came on but did not blink. It stayed solid.

Help
ncleo

A:No Power, Blinking green light on power supply and motherboard

Sounds like a Power Supply problem.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/no-power-blinking-green-light-on-power-supply-and-motherboard.646158/
Relevancy 98.04%

My PC suddenly shut off and wouldn't turn on, but the mouse and motherboard lights were still on. A tech took my PC and ran some tests. I assumed that either my Power supply or my Motherboard was unfunctional but he called me back telling me that it was neither, and that the problem was coming from "a part" that gave power to the motherboard. The replacement of this part would cost $80.

Am I getting ripped off? What part could possibly cost $80 and isn't the Power supply?

Relevancy 96.75%

hi guys as per one of my friend I could replace my memory RAM up to GB so I ve ordered Power Light Motherboard/Power 8300 AMBER Green XPS - Supply - Light a couple sticks of Kingston HyperX nbsp so I ve took slot and replaced GB Hynix RAM by GB HyperX Now I have a good old CPU that doesnt work plus it smell like burnt plastic with no apparent damage to XPS 8300 - AMBER Motherboard/Power Light - Green Power Supply Light the board or RAM nbsp Startup x BEEP No BIOS Motherboard Light Solid AmberBootup Light Flashing AmberPower Supply Light Solid Green I ve tried booting from nbsp a single RAM unit on slot one then slot two and nothing has changed anyone can help Motherboard Y MRGhttp www findlaptopdriver XPS 8300 - AMBER Motherboard/Power Light - Green Power Supply Light com specs- y mrg-dell Processor i Primary SSD Kingston HyperX Savage added Secondary Seagate TB TB added Barracuda New RAM nbsp ts HX C FK http www kingston com dataSheets HX C FK pdfOld RAM nbsp HMT U CFR C-H https www amazon com PC - - MHz-Hynix-HMT U CFR C-H -Unbuffered dp B BTRAS

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19987583
Relevancy 92.02%

OK I ll try to get it right I have an Intel Ghz Duo Core on an ASUS Motherboard Gig RAM and all about six years old running Windows Pro When I do a cold Power what? OS? or Motherboard? .... supply? bootup from the power OFF condition the PC freezes at the BIOS message and will sit there forever If instead I press DELETE on bootup it will boot right through to the BIOS settings page blue white screen whereupon I do the ESC and EXIT bit get Power supply? Motherboard? OS? .... or what? presented with quot Start Windows Normally quot and all is then OK If I do a reboot using the reset push button it will only proceed to the BIOS part where the HARD DISC is checked and again will sit there for ever Now to confuse it further if I turn the PC OFF and ON using the front deck push button it will do a normal reboot right through to starting Windows correctly Whilst the PC runs reasonably well thereafter it is quite common Power supply? Motherboard? OS? .... or what? for it to do a complete and total shutdown for no reason whatsoever or the keyboard or mouse to suddenly stop working On the back of the deck is yet another ON OFF switch and using this to reboot the PC results in a normal bootup So something stinks using the RESET Pb on the front of the deck or a normal cold bootup I replaced the Motherboard battery pushed and pulled all the wires - as you do - all to no avail It is far from a happy PC and I suspect either the power pack is playing up or the Motherboard is on the way out It is quite common to be tapping away quite happily when BANG the whole thing does a complete shutdown following a keystroke or adding a USB device such as a camera or such For no apparent reason on a bootup it will decide to reinstall a whole stack of drivers that have been working satisfactorily to date It may be the Windows software as after I took it to the local repair shop now defunct I keep getting messages that Windows is not the genuine version When I asked the Techie on this one he said thay had used one of quot their Windows discs quot to effect some repairs - yeh I have everything backed up so am very gtempted to format the whole wretched thing and try again I know the above explanation is a but hard to follow but hoping someone can see a glaring problem Is there any disgnostic software I can download to do a check on the hardware or is this a waste of time Thanks nbsp

A:Power supply? Motherboard? OS? .... or what?

Sure. Start by going into the bios and checking your temps and voltages; specifically the cpu temp, system temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values. Post those here.

Next download and run memtest This runs from bootable media ie CD, floppy, etc. You need to make the bootable disk and restart with the disk in the drive [CD set as first boot device in the bios]

Test the hard drive with the drive maker's diagnostic. You download this from whomever made the drive ie WD, Seagate, etc. Most of the time you have a choice between a windows version and a dos or boot version; get the boot version. Again it runs from bootable media.

One other thought; have you cleaned the system at all? If not, open the case and give it a good cleaning with a can of air [available at any office store, computer store, even walmart]

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/power-supply-motherboard-os-or-what.1018081/
Relevancy 92.02%

My computer was working great.  I went out of town for a week and upon my return, it would not turn on.  The green light on the power supply was lit but that was as far as it went.  I purchased a mobo but this did not fix the problem.  I am not real computer literate but have experience.  Does this mean that the power supply is gone since no power seems to go beyond the light?  If not, can you tell me what to try?

A:Motherboard or Power Supply?

You can test the power supply (PSU) with these instructions.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Motherboard-or-Power-Supply/td-p/5692596
Relevancy 92.02%

I am building c computer and have aUniversal Pentium 3 motherboard DFI CA64-TN with a Intel Celeron 1.3 ghz processor. I can't get anything to power up. When I power it up the light on the motherboard lights up but nothing else powers up. The fan in the power supply does not spin.

Can someone help me please...I am at a lose as to what the problem is.

Relevancy 92.02%

Hi, I'm on a mission to patch together some kid's emachines T2682 P4 pc. I'm pretty sure the motherboard is toast, I managed to get it running once, began a defrag, then the screen went to "no signal" (I could hear it was still running) and on reboot, no beeps, no post, no signal. The fans run, so I think the power supply is ok. I removed the ram, still no beeps, no video signal. I'm set to order another board, but I read where in most cases the power supply is what causes the mboard failure. Should I get a power supply and try that first? Is there a way to just check the ps?

A:Power supply or Motherboard?????

I would replace the power supply at the same time as the mother board. I had a faulty supply that seemed to work, on an Emachine that was under warranty. It blew the motherboard and keyboard and a wirless adapter that was pluged into the usb port at the time. they replaced all the parts but the wireless adapter because that was my own part. They put in a used power supply and just after the warranty it went out again an took the motherboard with it again. I took out the harddrive and threw the rest in the garbage. No more emachines for me. It was cheap and used as a second computer for the grandkids so no loss.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/power-supply-or-motherboard.658850/
Relevancy 92.02%

My computer recently had a failed fan in the power supply unit I took the machine to an official computer tech company and they replaced it I brought the machine or Supply Power Motherboard? home used it once I turned off the machine unplugged it to use outlet for another computer I then replugged in the machine with the new power supply and nothing happened when i turned on the machine Nothing nada zilch No noise no video no nada I see a green Power Supply or Motherboard? light on the chip board inside the unit so Power Supply or Motherboard? i know its receiving power but no Action Is this my motherboard now and maybe my processor The tech s say that i need a new motherboard and processor But i dont trust them anymore after my replaced power supply and now dead computer Any suggestions on the logic of what s happening with my machine PLEASE HELP I m an end-user not a tech so I just need this all to make sense Thank you nbsp

A:Power Supply or Motherboard?

Hello there and welcome to Techspot!

I feel your pain. We've all been there. Not that sympathy makes things any better, but you have mine.

It is hard for us to tell what is wrong with your system without looking at it of course. But maybe we can help you confirm a few things.

You say you can see the green LED light is lit up on your motherboard. That's a good thing. When you push the power button, no fans are spinning at all? Not a good thing.

It could be any number of things, and the tests that need to be done involve removing parts to help troubleshoot. Do you feel comfortable doing these types of things?

Try unplugging and reconnect your power supply connections to the motherboard.

I would also test your computer case's power-on button. This is done by disconnecting the small 2pin cable from your case that goes to your motherboard, then using a screwdriver to quickly touch the two pins that that cable was connecting to. This will short the pins, and hopefully start your computer. If it does, then your power switch on your case needs replacing.

Other than that, I would try this test to see if you can get the power supply fans spinning: http://modtown.co.uk/mt/article2.php?id=psumod

If the fans on the PSU don't spin, then you have (another) dead power supply.

If the fans on the PSU do spin, then we have narrowed you down to either a dead motherboard or a dead CPU (probably motherboard)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/power-supply-or-motherboard.50694/
Relevancy 92.02%

hi i m new motherboard need new Do supply? I or power a to this site so please help me with my computer i m sorry if this is in the wrong place to post this Do I need a new motherboard or power supply? fourm anyways lately I have been having troubles having Do I need a new motherboard or power supply? my computer bootup and have a startup screen or windows pop up but it doesn t I sometimes have to boot it out of times for it to work and eventually it does One day it froze so I held the power button to turn it off Now it doesnt have a post screen SO now the power is on fans running videocard fan running but nothing on display I m not too sure if its the power supply even though its watt because it lasted me - years plus all my fans are running I posted help and people said it is my power supply due to because it doesn t give enough power to my I m assuming its the motherboard because i heard no beep when I turn on my computer also I ve tried taking my ram out and turning it on and there is no continuous beep i am suppose to hear I change my ram around i took out my processer to check my monitor should be fine When I turn it on the only sound i hear from it is my discdrive and also my cpu fan is the last fan that spins after awhile I took out my videocard and cleaned it and put it back i did that to my sound card and my network card too so please help me out i don t wanna go buy a new computer my specs x gb DDR SD Crucial Ballistix Mhz Nvidia Geforce Gigabyte S-series GA-P -DS L Motherboard watt Corsair power supply Intel duocore or Ghz im really bad with computers lol sorry guys hope this helps nbsp

Relevancy 92.02%

I was replacing a fan in my case because it made a high pitched sound. I took it out to test it to make sure there wasnt too much pressure from the screws inside the case that were causing this noise. I unplugged one of the molex connectors from my gfx card to test it. It still made the sound so i plugged the molex back into the 2 molex to 6 pin connector and the computer shut off immediatly. Now when i hold down or just push the on button my led flashes and fans spin and stop repeatedly. Any Help would be just the best thing right now.

~Thank you

Matt

A:Motherboard or Power supply

NEVER unplug or plug in anything except maybe case fans inside a computer with it powered up! Pull out the video card and see if the computer powers on. If it powers on you have fried the video card. If the computer still doesn't power on, the power supply should be changed before you suspect the motherboard

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/motherboard-or-power-supply.133631/
Relevancy 92.02%

Hey fellas. My mother in law had a power outage quite some time ago. When it happened her pc would not turn back on. Is there any way to check to see if the motherboard is still good? I would like to get it working as a secondary computer. Also, how can I tell what kind of power supply is required for that motherboard? Because I have tried a couple power supplies, and one was from a OLD 166mhz pc, while ther other was from a 866mhz, but it seems like the ends or where it plugs into the motherboard are different in shape. Any suggestions? This is a HP 900mhz pc, it would be nice for web browsing and other task. Thanks for any help!

A:Motherboard/Power Supply ?

Post the make/model of the motherboard and we can probably find a manual for it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/motherboard-power-supply.372679/
Relevancy 92.02%

I have a s446 motherboard. It came with a 350 watt power supply in the kit I purchased. I would like to buy a bigger case and the one I like comes with a 450 watt power supply. I looked at my manual and searched on the internet but I can't determine if it is safe to hook my motherboard up to a 450 watt power supply. If anyone could help I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Relevancy 92.02%

I was looking through motherboards and noticed that this one has an 8-PIN power connector.

I went and looked through PSUs and found that most are only 4-PIN, like this one.

What am I missing? How do you connect a 4-PIN PSU to an 8-PIN board?

Thanks!

A:8-PIN Motherboard and a 4-PIN Power Supply

A lot of the newer PSUs have two 4 pin connectors to use for the 8 pin connection. Also I have seen some 4pin to 8 pin adapters on NewEgg and eBay.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/284330-8-pin-motherboard-4-pin-power-supply.html
Relevancy 92.02%

I have a P6vem3 mainboard and everything seems to work but the monitor will not come out of standby.
I get a post code of E9 and I have seen EE pc analyzer. I put in another vga card, but
the same thing happens when the computer starts. It gives a single continuous beep.
Should I replace the power supply, I'm not sure what to replace it with. Or should I just buy another motherboard?
Please help,
Thank you

A:motherboard vs power supply

It sounds like a issue with the memory. If you have the mainboard manual see what a long continuous beep means. more then likely its bad memory so try to buy new RAM if that dont work buy a new mainboard

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/motherboard-vs-power-supply.641218/
Relevancy 92.02%

I am working on my aunts PC HP slimline supply? Is or it the power motherboard again This Is it the motherboard or power supply? time it will not turn on seems relatively easy problem I press a power button Is it the motherboard or power supply? and exactly Is it the motherboard or power supply? nothing happens not even PSU fan spins I do not have a tester for FLEX PSU they have that tiny pins and not regular size ones but I take it out and cross the green wire PSU on with black ground wire and the PSU turns on hmmm So I independently test out each voltage on all wires and they all come out with proper voltages I put the PSU back in and I test out the power button and its wires and they are fine I even crossed the pins on the motherboard to get it to turn on and nothing The thing I can not get my head around it that in every motherboard failure I was a witness to I was at least getting some PSU response fan spinning That is why at first I thought it was PSU for sure but I do not have spare FLEX ATX PSU as they are not common at all Would I be wrong to assume that motherboard went south The way I see it ifI get a new motherboard for a lot less than new FLEX PSU with standard power supply plug I can just put the PC into normal chassis I have spares and use one on my many spare ATX PSU s and eliminate both possible sources of error weather it is a motherboard or FLEX PSU Thoughts Thanks nbsp

A:Is it the motherboard or power supply?

Assuming the fuse in the power cord is fine, I would suspect the PSU to be at fault.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-it-the-motherboard-or-power-supply.169044/
Relevancy 92.02%

OK here is the chain of events Turn off computer at Had pizza Power Up computer at While I'm walking away I think I hear a rather remarkably loud beep or maybe two beeps Either way when I come back to my computer it's powered on however the monitor shows quot No SIGNAL quot I go through the standard try the monitor on another computer check the cables etc After a few more tweaks I power the computer up Still no signal Another power up later I notice there is no POST beep I check everything and try again No post I or supply Motherboard? Power reset CMOS no post I notice at this moment that the VIA chip fan isn't spinning I unplug all peripherials and try again Power supply or Motherboard? no POST the computer comes on for a brief second then everything stops the PSU fans computer fans everything Now that's all I get it's Power supply or Motherboard? like the car starts but doesn't turn over I'm assuming this is either a powersupply problem or a mother board problem How do I narrow it down My MAJOR concern is I have segate drives RAID ed the one for speed I think if I get a new mother board I need to keep this info is that possible So I guess in order of priority here are my questions How do I get my data off my Raid drives Is this a PSU issue Or a Motherboard issue Power supply or Motherboard? Sorry about the meandering nature of the post but it's am and I'm really out of sorts worrying about this Thanks in advance Shaun ABIT KR - R AMD AThlon XP strips GB segate barracuda RAIDed drives NVIDA GeForce Soundblaster Live Windows XP pro SP

A:Power supply or Motherboard?

Check to see if the CPU was installed correctly and have not come "loose". Also check the pin that powers the CPU fan and see if it is seated securely.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/power-supply-or-motherboard-22885.html
Relevancy 92.02%

Case Heres the thing I went to a friends house wolvman on here and was getting it set up He told me that because I Power out Either Or Supply went Motherboard needed a hard drive still and that neither of the raptors he gave me worked he had a gig IDE drive I plug it up having to unplug the side fan because all of the power supplies I have are limited to I think legacy connections I start the computer up nothings wrong but its lagging a little due to the system XP home getting drivers etc for the hard drive It comes up and says its working so I check it and it was It had a previous installation of XP on it so I see everything We then decided to play CS S and about minutes into it it was running fine and dandy it just shuts off First I think that the GPU went out because I didn t notice the computer went off just that the monitor said quot No signal quot but it went completely off I proceed to try to turn it back on and it does NOTHING I pulled the side of the case and checked how hot it was Either Power Supply Or Motherboard went out The Power Supply Either Power Supply Or Motherboard went out was pretty freaking hot along with the GPU CPU and HDD s This is where I get scared First I think it just overheated and shut down but then I realise that that s usually a BSOD correct Would the HDD s usually get that hot Its a Either Power Supply Or Motherboard went out simple Maxtor gig I believe its RPM No point in making threads X D Case I got a motherboard from him after this us deciding that I needed to upgrade anyway While its not great its still decent It contains an Athon XP Same as his computer and has PCI-E support I have no clue what the maker is or anything It has a Geforce IGP but the guy used to have a GPU in it but his brother stupidly knocked it off of the bed and one of the battery things on the GPU what are these busted and acid went all over it Do you think it will still work It is already in my case with a power supply but I am waiting for him to find the manual so I can plug up the power switch and everything will it hurt anything to just try different pins I stupidly did the uppermost top right one on the set of pins that you plug them up to and it wouldn t shut off without switching it off on the back of the PSU Simply do you think Battery acid could ve killed the Motherboard I apologize for this very long topic but I haven t been on for a while and in the meantime this all happened nbsp

A:Either Power Supply Or Motherboard went out

Maxtors fail way too frequently. Next choice is the power supply. Watch from the back with a strong light when the <ON> button is pressed. Does the fan blade turn four revolutions or less. That is a bad power supply.
There is no relationship, really, between heat and a BSOD. It can just as easily shut down as give you a BSOD.
I'm betting it is power supply, memory module, or Maxtor failure.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/either-power-supply-or-motherboard-went-out.108790/
Relevancy 92.02%

Hello, I need your advice please.

I have a system based on a Epox 8KHA+ with the latest BIOS. 512MB RAM, AMD XP2000+ not overclocked, running at 56 degC., Windows XP fully updated.

The problem is the system keeps turning itself off. After about an hour of running, it suddenly dies as if the power plug had been removed. If I try to restart using the power switch nothing happens. If I then unplug the power lead and replace it, it then starts up OK.

Any ideas please?

Many thanks

Nick

A:Power supply or motherboard?

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Sounds like some kind of overheating problem. The psu is a major suspect.

Try another psu and see how it goes. I don`t think it`s your mobo.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/power-supply-or-motherboard.25821/
Relevancy 92.02%

Hi I have a computer or maybe had with an Asus M v-MX SE motherboard with Power Supply or Motherboard a dual core AMD processor running XP Pro SP Over the last few months maybe once every week or weeks it would freeze after booting into the OS Mouse would freeze and couldn t crl-alt-delete to task manager I had to unplug it then reboot and it would be fine The other day as it booted the boot message screen came up in different colors within words then everything had a green hue The green hue continued after the OS came up I was just checking mail before I went to work When I came home I Motherboard or Power Supply turned on the computer---and nada It didn t do anything and a message appeared on the monitor---no signal Not even the bios came up I use the onboard video so with the green hue I figured Motherboard But since it sent no signal now I m thinking power supply How can I determine the cause of the problem I know I can t find a replacement motherboard---it s years old A month ago I put in Crucial CT KIT AA gb but I don t know how this would cause this problem as it hasn t froze since I installed the ram Any and all responses will be greatly appreciated Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 92.02%

Hi

My pc won't properly boot up (i.e. all the fans turn, but there's no video input), so I have troubleshooted all parts. Eventually I put my PSU in another computer, to find that that one didn't boot at all. I concluded the PSU had to be broken.

As a last test I used a multimeter to manually test the voltages of the 24-pin connector and found that they were all next-to perfect.

Does that indicate that the PSU is healthy, and my motherboard must be dead?

Marty

A:Power supply or motherboard?

Marty9231 said:

Does that indicate that the PSU is healthy, and my motherboard must be dead?Click to expand...

No. It just means that under essentially no load the PSU is delivering the proper voltages. The voltages supplied under load may dip well below what they are supposed to be.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/power-supply-or-motherboard.164701/
Relevancy 91.16%

I am working with a friends Emachine T2042 2ghz Celeron. She told me that the machine wouldn't turn on - no lights, POST, etc. I replaced the PSU and am having some problems. Once I connect everything, only the PSU fan and the fan cooling the CPU are operative. No HD lights, POST, etc.

I've checked the 20 pin connection to the MOBO. It seems to be seated correctly. Any other ideas?

KEith

A:Power Supply - Motherboard problems

Hate to sound brash, but you're yet another person with a bad emachine. The bad news is emachines are notorious for horrible quality computers. This problem is posted ALL the time. The components and construction in emachines are of the cheapest quality. Their PSUs often blow out - often taking the motherboard along with it. If the computer is still under warranty, send it in. If not, test the PSU. You might be able to replace the PSU - however don't be surprised if the motherboard is also fried. If not- you're lucky. If it is toast , you might be able to salvage components and/or data by building another computer yourself.
You can buy a PSU tester for $12 at circuit city.

To all others: AVOID emachines period!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/power-supply-motherboard-problems.58071/
Relevancy 91.16%

Hey guys,

My motherboard has recently blown and I've had to replace it. My only issue is that it has a different internal power source to my former motherboard and I'm not sure if I can utilise my old power supply with it. I've included pictures of the motherboard connection (the blue one) and the power supply connection. Power supply connection is for a larger connection but it works perfectly with the motherboard, except it is inserted into 4 slots rather than 8.

Is this safe? It seems to be working fine.

Thanks,
Aidan.

A:Power Supply/Motherboard Compatibility

Yes it's safe, good explanation here :- http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDFAQs&op=FAQ_Question&ndfaq_id=18

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/power-supply-motherboard-compatibility.1147520/
Relevancy 91.16%

Recently I had a problem with my computer where the monitor would not get a signal no matter what and I also tried another monitor and got the problem? Power Supply Motherboard or same problem I took out everything other than the Motherboard or Power Supply problem? motherboard CPU and RAM The computer started working so I put everything back in one by one and tested them each individually and it all worked until I put the graphics card back in GeForce GTX Now every time I take the card out of the computer it boots fine and the monitor works but when I have the card installed the monitor gets no signal even though it is connected to the motherboards VGA port and not the graphics card I replaced the GeForce GTX with an older GeForce GS and it had the same problem so now it s happened with two graphics cards even though the monitor was not connected to either of them I m hoping this is a sign that my GTX is not the problem When I originally started having the problem and took out the graphics card this problem was still happening so I have seen it happen both with the video card installed and with the video card out of the computer but now the computer only works while the card is not installed I have had people tell me that the motherboard was probably failing but now the motherboard appears to be working fine as long as no graphics card is installed they are both PCI-Express so maybe that slot is is having problems Any suggestions what could be going on here My system specs are in a text file attachment nbsp

Relevancy 91.16%

Is it possible to have a motherboard corrupt a power supply?

I have a computer that quite working and I suspected the power supply. I installed a working power supply but that did not help. When I checked the voltage levels on the power supply, the 12 volt pins were only at 11 volts.

Did my motherboard wreck my ATX power supply?

Any help would be appreciated

Relevancy 91.16%

the ASUS A7n8x-x motherboard , I was told was compatible for my system. My question is , when I looked it up on newegg.com, there were two....there is a ASUS A7n8x-x going for @ 74.99 and also a ASUS deluxe for about 118.99 , they both have nvidia nforce2 utra 400 + Mcp, is there a big difference between the two as far as perfomance? I also saw a ASUS A7v8x-x with a VIA chipset ( my comp ran a VIA before) and I just wanted to make sure that I can run a nvidia chipset.
Also.... I looked into my power supply and it's a 250 W max. I am not sure what wattage max I can ,or should go to . Any help would be great. thanx
Tia

Relevancy 91.16%

I recently bought a new computer from Dell and a new graphics card from newegg The computer is a Dell Inspiron and my graphics card Supply Motherboard and Issue Power is a Nvidia Geforce GT The graphics card requires a minimum of a watt PSU which unfortunately Dell only gave me a watt PSU So I replaced the watt PSU with a watt PSU that I purchased from a store near my place but when my computer is shut off the motherboard would make static noises The noises sound like a cross between clicking static that appear around minutes after my computer has been shut down and start to fade away after an hour The noises would only go away if I switched off the power on my PSU I replaced the new PSU with my old PSU and the static noises went away The power supply that I purchased was this http www coolermaster-usa com product php product id I called Dell about my problem and they said that the motherboard could not handle a power supply of more than watts I bought the computer and graphics card online so it would be a real pain to return and I m not really fond of replacing my motherboard I was wondering how I would be able to get rid of the static noise nbsp

A:Motherboard and Power Supply Issue

Dell lied to you, the motherboard has no idea on the wattage of the power supply, it simply draws as much as it needs. That said Dell's are cheap systems.

The power supply you got isn't of the best quality, and it may also be faulty. Return it for a higher quality brand and see if that resolves your problem.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/motherboard-and-power-supply-issue.851193/
Relevancy 91.16%

I made a thread this summer regarding problems charging my iPod. I had been assuming it was an issue with my motherboard, but recently began thinking that it could very well be my power supply. I was just wondering which is more likely, and if there's a simple test I could do. I'd easily be able to get my hands on a DMM.

This is the thread from this summer:
http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?t=862460&referrerid=77265

A:Motherboard or power supply problem?

Only thing I can think of is to test the PSU in a different computer - or better still, put a known working one in your PC. Seems strange that the iPod not charging is the only symptom of either however.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/motherboard-or-power-supply-problem.875486/
Relevancy 91.16%

Just in case the Motherboard(maybe Power Supply CPU?) on fritz. or Either these are my specs for a New self-built for the first time machine MB ASUS P P -E DELUXE ATX Intel Motherboard CPU intel Pentium E MHz FSB Socket HDD Seagate Barracuda ST A RPM IDE Ultra ATA Hard Drive ASUS N TD Geforce MB -bit DDR AGP X X Video Card GB RAM MB Aspire ATX AS w PSU came with the case When I got finished with hooking everying Either Power Supply or Motherboard(maybe CPU?) on the fritz. up in the case I turned on the power and guess what It turned on for split second and then died down I tried doing it again and again for like what seemed like times which might of caused a future problem with different things unplugged and it still always did that After all that I figured that the problem can be at least somewhat cured if I take out the big pin plug and put it straight back in and then it ll fully power up But sometimes for some reason it goes straight back to powering for a split second and dieing As long as I disconnect and connect the big power cord it ll power up but that s not the problem I m having NOW When I DID get it working I m sure you can imagine my joy that I finaly got it to work So I went straight to installing Windows XP and then something happened The computer friggin froze Restarted and in the middle of the installation it froze again Repeat like more times and then I ve finally got XP installed Only thing is is that it of course it froze most the time and it would usually only take like or minutes til it freezes Now it s so bad that I can t usually can t make it the desktop and if I could it would only freeze a few minutes later As right now the problem has gotten worse in that the computer now refuses to boot if the anything is plugged into the Primary IDE port which is by the way right next door to the pin power socket And when it rarely but sometimes boots with a cable in the PRI IDE port it just does those freezing antics all over again I Put the HDD cable back in and it doesn t boot up It won t boot up even if the connection to the HDD is off When the cable is only connected to the PRI IDE port so I don t really think the problem s the HDD Of course I can t start Windows XP without the harddrive so I can t use the computer yet In fact all I ve been able to do with my selfbuilt computer so far is activate XP over the phone cause of the freezing problem and install the Nvidia driver Anything else I tried the computer freezes before or during the process I m using my mother s very weak by comparison but at least actually working computer right now if you re wondering Oh and by the way the ASUS s POST bios keeps on telling me that Overclocking failed Please enter Setup and re-configure your sytem I never even TOUCED the Overclocking settings in the bios and if I check the settings it s always still on Standard and not any of those Overclock etc settings So could it be my CPU maybe All the other IDEs are ok by the way And I already tried using a fresh HDD cable so that s not it either Now I m considering that it could very well be the power supply and that maybe it damaged my motherboard Please help What should I replace or do Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Either Power Supply or Motherboard(maybe CPU?) on the fritz.

Did you use an anti static wrist strap?

Or did you ground yourself by touching the power supply while building the pc. If you didn't take electrostatic precautions you could have damaged the motherboard or other components

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/either-power-supply-or-motherboard-maybe-cpu-on-the-fritz.29726/
Relevancy 91.16%

I currently have a dell E310 dimension w/ a 230 w power supply
i want to upgrade to a ATI Readon 9250 PCI video card which requires more power
I have a Thermaltake Purepower 420w power supply which has a 20 pin connector--the motherboard has a 24 pin socket. there is also a 4 pin plug from the power supply . will the computer work with the 20 pin connector or do i need all 24 connections? --is the 4 pin connector supposed to make up for the extra connections?

A:20 pin power supply to dell 24 pin motherboard

Should work fine with the 20 pin, but there is another spot on your board for the other 4pin

the power supply should have 2 cables, the 20pin(or 24pin) and another cable with 4pin, both of those go in differnet spots,

and from what i know it shouldnt be a problem with the 20pin going in the 24pin.

Wait for more people to reply i might be wrong

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/20-pin-power-supply-to-dell-24-pin-motherboard.100949/
Relevancy 91.16%

since my build keeps changing from day to day i keep needing new advice and opinions on what to do with it it changes partially due to my proposed budget and partially because i find that i want to plan more for the future and include certain features my biggest concerns are as i suggested in my title my concern with my motherboard is that it s from asus http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N supply power Motherboard and concerns E it was selected because of it s price and the features it offers i need ide pata ports a few SATA ports at least pci-e x at least pci at least x pin pc memory slots and an LGA slot but since this one is from ASUS and has lots of complaints and ASUS is going downhill i m hesitant to buy this board i m not exactly going to have an awful lot of money to Motherboard and power supply concerns throw around for RMAing parts i d like something that s high quality offers what i want and doesn Motherboard and power supply concerns t go very much higher than dollars i tried looking into a gigabyte board but i can t find one that has ide pata slots for a good price or that doesn t have so many problems the other concern is whether or not the psu i selected will power the system well enough i ve selected the Corsair CMPSU- VX http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E my Motherboard and power supply concerns concern is the amperages offered on the v rail i m not sure if it has enough let alone how to calculate whether it has enough here are the specs i m trying to run intel core duo E conroe gigabytes G Skill ddr memory geforce gt mb dvd drive x speed x gig hard drives the ones listed in my current specs eventually i ll buy a new one that s sata x mm fans and possibly up to x is the corsair i ve chosen good enough or do i need to go with a higher end model this part was again selected for price but also because i know it s a strong psu and good quality if this one isn t enough i ll move up to an antec neoHE or an antec earthwatts but for now i d like to see if this corsair will work nbsp

A:Motherboard and power supply concerns

*bump* come on people. advice please?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/motherboard-and-power-supply-concerns.94847/
Relevancy 91.16%

I have a power supply of ATX 12V V1.3 and my motherboard has a label says "24-pin ATX V2.2 Power Supply." Are these two components capable? Will there be any kind of problems that might occur such as pc shuts off itself and automatically restarts?

A:incapable power supply with the motherboard

Hmmmmm......

Are you sure you don't mean "compatible"? If the PSU has a 24 pin plug for the main connection to the board, then it is. Earlier PSUs have a 20 pin plug for the mother board. some PSUs have something called a "20 plus 4 connector" which will work for both new and old motherboards. Since there is only 1 plug (the main board connector) coming out of the PSU with anywhere near that many pins, simply count 'em. 2 rows of 10, no worky, 2 rows of 12 in like Flynn.

Here's a Newegg tutorial on power supplies: http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/CategoryIntelligence.asp?Subcategory=58

Here's a picture page with the connectors marked: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...+CUL,+TUV,+FCC,+and+CB+certification+-+Retail

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/incapable-power-supply-with-the-motherboard.83824/
Relevancy 91.16%

Hello I've been having issues with my old gaming PC and I would like to either replace or upgrade the components but I'm not sure what the issue is Here's a list of what happened - - years ago I was experiencing BSODs on PC boot so I decided to check each ram individually to see if one of them its causing the problem So I found that sticks were faulty so I removed them and I was left with GB ram - months ago Motherboard or Power Faulty Supply? I tried to turn on the PC and it was shutting down after seconds or it wouldn't even start at all no signs Faulty Motherboard or Power Supply? of power - So I decided to disassemble everything and clean my dusty fans there was a lot of dust inside the power supply and tried to boot again This time the PC was booting but with no display - So I removed everything expect the CPU Cooler and fans and tried to boot again Still no display no beeps and fans were spinning Is it safe to assume that my motherboard is bad Is there any other way to test it to make sure Because if it's the motherboard I might be replacing the whole system unless its the power supply that's faulty so I could replace it with a cheap one at the moment and upgrade the PC later Specs OS Windows bit CPU AMD Phenom tm II X Processor Motherboard ASUS M A TD-V EVO Memory GB DDR SDRAM Graphics Cards ATI Radeon HD MB x Cooling H corsair Hard Drives WDC WD AALS- L B ATA Device GB IDE x

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/390048-faulty-motherboard-power-supply.html
Relevancy 91.16%

I am in a build state with a Asus F1A75-V MB and a Hercules 600wPS. My misfortune is that nothing is simple. The board has a 8 pin EATX12 socket and my PS has a 4-pin & 6 pin 12 connectors. Is there a simple solution, or do I have to change PS?

A:Motherboard-power supply mismatch

You can use a 4 to 8 pin EPS power adapter to connect the cpu power.
Something like this........
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATX-4-Pin-male-to-8-Pin-Female-EPS-Power-Cable-Adapter-/250993394591?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a705f439f
I use one in one of my computers.
Hercules aren't top of the line power supplies,so make sure
it can handle the load the computer will put on it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/motherboard-power-supply-mismatch.1047256/
Relevancy 91.16%

or the video card? The CPU i want to buy has 35W, do i have to look up if my motherboard or power supply or video card supports that?

A:Does the CPU's W have to match the power supply or the motherboard?

When looking at a new CPU's compatibility to a system, check whether:-

1) Your CPU supports the socket that your motherboad has.

2) Your motherboard's BIOS supports your CPU, if it doesn't, check the manufacturer's website for updates that'll allow support.

3) Your current cooling setup (Heat sink and fan) supports the new CPU.

4) Your Power Supply Unit (PSU) is powerful enough to handle the CPU. This is what you meant in your above.

Fill up your current system specs and tell us which CPU it is you intend to upgrade to so that we can advise you further.

System Info - See Your System Specs

Hope that helps!

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/239437-does-cpus-w-have-match-power-supply-motherboard.html
Relevancy 91.16%

Okay being the computer tard i am and also being nosey i kinda demolished my Motherboard and Power Supply I ll explain just to make you guys laugh at how much i am of a complete idiot Power Supply My powersupply was louder then normal so i opened up my case and rebooted still loud so i made sure everything was plugged in ok and again still loud so i unscrewed it and ran it with Power Help New Required Supply. Motherboard, the casing off and then BOOOOM Right in my face I got told i could of died by it but i was laughing so hard i was almost crying Shat my pants almost lol Motherboard I decided to learn bits of the motherboard and took the PSU off tried to put it back and bent the gold spikey bits Motherboard, Power Supply. New Help Required didn t work again So overall i ve decided with these two new parts Are they compatable Will they work Power Motherboard, Power Supply. New Help Required Supply http www overclockers co Motherboard, Power Supply. New Help Required uk showproduct php prodid CA- -HP amp tool Motherboard http www xpcgear com cknf a html Im using x Gig DDR Memory Sticks Im a casual gamer i don t know what my Graphics card is but it cost me quid so it better be good Btw Just to make you druel in your chair My new sexy case http www xpcgear com vento blk html Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 91.16%

An individual built the CPU running windows XP memory It s been up and running for about year When turning it on the BIOS did not see the hard drive So I rebooted and went into the BIOS and or Power Supply-dual Motherboard? fan tried to auto detect the hard drive It found it so I saved the configuration Power Supply-dual fan or Motherboard? and system booted fine After working for a while I shutdown the system for the day next day tried booting and same thing occurred So I went through the same steps as stated above system came back up Obviously a problem and concern here I couldn t stay to diagnose it at that time but it was up and running and it was used all day That afternoon I went and bought a battery for it thinking that was the problem After installing the battery and rebooting the system Right in the middle of the reboot the power supply-dual fan started making a loud noise and the CPU totally died dead So of course next I replaced the power supply-dual fan thinking maybe it was overheating After replacing that the fan unit on the motherboard started making a little bit of a noise so I thought what the heck I just replace the fan unit as well After replacing all of the above everything seems to be working fine But my question is how do make sure that it was the power supply and it s not the motherboard itself I do not have any fancy equipment like a voltmeter storage oscilloscope or the PC Power Check Is there any other way to tell without having just sit and wait or do you think that what I described above has fixed the initial problem Any advice would be greatly appreciated nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/power-supply-dual-fan-or-motherboard.269590/
Relevancy 91.16%

I have a HP 8000 elite cmt I know the elite series is a special setup I'm wondering if I can use the case to build a custom mid range gaming pc by replacing the Mobo to a ATX style and changing power supply I can modify the case to fit any power supply if needed I just need to know if I can put a ATX style Mobo in it

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Motherboard-and-power-supply-upgrade/td-p/5720154
Relevancy 91.16%

I have an Ultra V Series 500w power supply that has the 12x2, 3x2 and 2x2 connectors. My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H which requires the 12x2 (of course), but my question is do I need to plug in the 4x2 connector? I haven't tried booting yet. I'm not running a video or sound card, just the onboard video & sound (if that matters).

A:Motherboard / Power Supply Pin Question

Yes you need to plug in the 12V ATX connector This is the 4X2 connector.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/motherboard-power-supply-pin-question.974582/
Relevancy 91.16%

Just to let everyone know first, I'm not very techy/good at this stuff. I know several things but I'm far from good haha.
So my problem:
Every time I turn on the power for my computer the fans run but the light on the power button blinks once and then stays off. I have to try several times to hold the button/turn it off and then try turning it on again before it totally starts. I'm wondering if this is just a power supply problem or a motherboard issue? I've got an Acer Aspire AX3400-E2202 AMD Athlon IIX2 215 dual-core processor.
Also, if I were to get a new power supply unit would I have to stick to the watts of what it is now or could I move up to something like 300?

Thanks in advance

A:Motherboard dead or power supply?

Yes try a new power supply first... 350 to 500 watts is okay

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/motherboard-dead-or-power-supply.170415/
Relevancy 91.16%

Hey i changed my power suppy the other day they are virtually the same except one has more plugs so I wanted it and the newer one has only 5 amps where the other is six. but anywho I changed them and it word like twice then cut out and now it will not turn on until I unplug it from the motherboard. but the weird thing is my old one doesn't even start when its pluggerd into the motherboard but they both work just fine when when uplugged from the motherboard so what gives?

A:Motherboard not acepting power supply?

Possibly too much draw. Did you plug in the P4 plug?
Post complete specs.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/motherboard-not-acepting-power-supply.397215/
Relevancy 91.16%

Hi my W don t know the brand power supply gave out a few weeks ago so I replaced it with a W Thermaltake Ever since then my motherboard AsRock P V has been starting up slowly Normally it detects the Primary and Secondary IDE devices within a few seconds and moves on to boot windows but now it takes about a minute to get through it Also it sometimes stops at the Initializing USB controller and it ll never complete I don t think it freezes at that point because if I press F or F and it ll tell me killed supply Power Motherboard? that it s preparing to enter setup boot Power supply killed Motherboard? menus I more or less solved Power supply killed Motherboard? the problem by powering down the computer for about - minutes and it got past the USB issue fine but it still took a while to detect the IDE devices I think it s time for a new motherboard but I m hoping to salvage it nbsp

Relevancy 91.16%

I recently problem Supply Motherboard/Power decided to upgrade my computer big time by purchasing a new motherboard and processor and power supply case Anywho it is a KD -E motherboard an AMD Athlon XP processor and a watt power supply The processor doesn t seem to be the problem though so that shouldn t be anything to worry about I put the new MB in to the case and hooked it all up correctly I triple checked it a million times It simply would not turn on at all until I hooked a friends power supply in to it and that seemed to sort of jump start it It came on the fans and the lights and it would seem to go just fine but then it would sort of hiccup and die We hooked my power supply back in to it and it started working but hiccuping just like the other It would start up fans and all then Motherboard/Power Supply problem they would just die all of a sudden It seems that it runs longer though if you hold down the power button for some reason At first I just thought the power supply or the motherboard was fried but that cannot be it since they both work just not well I think it might Motherboard/Power Supply problem be a short in the motherboard maybe And it is not a lack of power either It is a watt power supply and that would be enough I believe That and my friends who we hooked in to it was a watt power supply and that is more then enough Anywho dunno if anyone has heard of anything like this before or have any suggestions or tips but I would really appreciate it I d like to get it working instead of having to send it all back to get new stuff which would be a major pain Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 91.16%

Hi everybody! I need some help  about power pins of ml 350 g6 motherboard.I have a atx power supply with 24 pins, but this motherboard (ml 350 g6)  has 22 pins.  Is there any way to adapt it ? Thanks!  

A:pinout power supply HP ML 350 g6 motherboard!

Hi: You may also want to post your question on the HP EBC Support Forum -- Proliant Servers section https://community.hpe.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-ML-DL-SL/bd-p/itrc-264#.V9fxKeT6u9I

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/pinout-power-supply-HP-ML-350-g6-motherboard/td-p/5760777
Relevancy 91.16%

I have a gaming rig with the following stats:

500W Power Supply
9500 AMD Q4 Chip
Don't recall what motherboard I put in there, but it was functioning
Nvidia GTX 260 Video Card
6 GB RAM
1x 1TB HDD
1x 400GB HDD

In any case, there was a decently big power issue recently, and although the computer was hooked to a power strip, I'm pretty sure there was damage done as the computer will not turn on now; I can press the power button but the computer will not respond, and I went in and double checked the connections to make sure all was in working order (it was). It was in perfect working order previously, with all cables and equipment functioning, and the BIOS and everything was up to date. My issue is that I have no idea what got shot, the motherboard itself, or the power supply. Any suggestions?

A:Power Supply/Motherboard Issue?

Can you borrow a power supply and hook it up?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/power-supply-motherboard-issue.143473/
Relevancy 91.16%

How can I tell if my power suppy is dead or the motherboard is dead. When I press the power button, nothing happens.

Computer is out of warranty and is a DELL 4600

Please help

A:Dead power supply or motherboard???

You'll need to get your hands on a powersupply and swap it into the DELL to see if thats the problem.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dead-power-supply-or-motherboard.341939/
Relevancy 91.16%

Alright, well I'm looking at purchasing this motherboard here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128307

If you'll look at a couple of the reviews, they mention this:

I neglected to get a 20+4 pin power supply for I dont know what reason, but once I had that everything worked. If you have a GPU which 256MB dedicated RAM or above it is reccomended that you get at least 14 amps on the 12 volt rail.Click to expand...

I have a 256MB GPU. My question is, what does that guy mean by the 14 amps/12 volts/20+4 pin power supply, and what do I need to get one? The case I'm looking at buying is this:

http://www.chiefvalue.com/app/productdetails.asp?submit=&item=11-145-049&ATT=Cases Computer Cases

Does that include enough power, or should I be looking at another power supply in addition? Thanks in advance for the help.

A:Motherboard Power Supply Question

I'd recommend taking out the power supply that comes with that case and getting yourself a reliable one. Powmax are not really PSU makers, they are case makers (who include PSUs with their cases). In other words their PSUs are made with very cheap parts. You do not want a cheap psu. Read through this forum and you will see many people with really hard to diagnose problems that most of the time are the result of going cheap on the PSU.

To answer your questions briefly:

PSUs put out different types of power, as different parts on you computer like different flavors of power. There is 12v power for some parts, 5v power for others and 3.3v for the rest. A cheap PSU is not very good at making these different types of power, specifically the 12 type. A good PSU should be putting out at least 24amps as a minimum.

And the other question, your motherboard uses a 20pin connection from the PSU. Most new PSUs are a 24pin connection, but a lot of them have adapters that come with them, or better yet, the 24pin connector actually allows you to "snap" off 4 of the pins to change it to a 20pin connector.

I'd recommend getting a PSU from a company like enermax, fortron or Antec. Have a look at this thread for some great info:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=792566

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/motherboard-power-supply-question.43191/
Relevancy 91.16%

Hi,
I replaced a motherboard, processor and memory. All should work with each other. I got everything connected and cannot get the power button to work. I have tried it every different combination that I possibly can. The led on the mb is on. Any suggestions? I can't even get it to do anything. This computer worked until I took out the old parts and replaced them wiht new. Is it possible the MB is bad?

A:problem with power supply and motherboard

Yes, the board could be bad; but, more testing is in line before deciding that.

Are you certain you have the power-on switch connected to the proper pins on the board? Thoroughly checking this is a must. Study it carefully.

Is it possible you have the CMOS-clear jumper set to 'clear'? I have bought boards that had this setting out of the box. I never could figure why they would do that; but, they did.

Are you certain the processor is fully seated into its socket? And, are you certain there are no bent pins?

If you have checked all of the above and found nothing amiss, disconnect everything from the board and remove all add-in cards and see if it will power up.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problem-with-power-supply-and-motherboard.888326/
Relevancy 90.3%

I need to replace the motherboard and power supply on my compaq 5321sr. Is this hard and where is the best place to get parts?

Relevancy 90.3%

Yesterday my power supply was blown up (fuse). So i bought the power supply (PS HEC 300W) and plug in my compter which is assembly with Intel Desktop Board D845GEBV2 mounted with Celeron 2.0GHz. If i am not wrong, it is compatible with my mother board right. But there is problem after switch it on the power. First i switch on the main switch in the power supply. And i realised that the CPU fan is running although i didn't switch on the power from the front panel of my system unit. The LED for the harddisk in the front pannel also light up even though i didn't connect power to the hard disk. Is it the Mainboard problem.

A:Motherboard problem after plug in new power supply

Hello! Welcome to TechSpot

I see from pic on intel your board has two power plugs,
did you plug in the 4 pin plug as well as the 20 pin?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/motherboard-problem-after-plug-in-new-power-supply.34452/
Relevancy 90.3%

This question is regarding the power supply for a custom built computer. Tested old PS (starlogic 300 watt atx) & it was dead according to ATX power tester. So I purchased another power supply (closest I could find --Vio power w/atx 12V 420w max) that tests fine using ATX power tester. I connect it to the mobo and turn on.
The only response is a red light on the mobo.

Both p/s are atx that plugs into 12V socket.

I find the following on the mobo for mfr: ASUS ASB100/SIS963/ATA 133. Not sure where the product ID is on this mobo so wasn't sure what ps would be compatible.

What should be my next step for testing?

Relevancy 90.3%

title says it.

the motherboard is a pci express ht2000. I want to upgrade to a 500w power supply, but I've read that certain motherboards will only have room for 20 power connectors and certain power supplies may not work because of that.

In short, I've searched a lot to no avail trying to find out if I can upgrade my power supply. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

A:I want to replace power supply, not sure if motherboard is compatible

Is it an AMD board? AMD SW300?

In any case, replacement power supplies often come with both types. But you could always count them, too.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-want-to-replace-power-supply-not-sure-if-motherboard-is-compatible.1031996/
Relevancy 90.3%

Hi for almost years now I've been having trouble with my Custom build computer I'll link the specs In the end supply? Possible motherboard / BSOD power failiure so don't worry however I've been getting like Different Bluescreen Messages the last year at one point I had to reinstall windows every third day quot NOT JOKING quot I've almost replaced every original part in my computer The last couple of days I've been getting Bad pool header and before that IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL DATA BUS ERROR almost sure of PAGE FAULT IN BSOD Possible motherboard failiure / power supply? NONPAGED AREA KERNEL DATA INPAGE ERROR BAD POOL CALLER memory management and yeah u get the point Could this be caused of there I'm back in normal font anyways What could be the reason for all this O even tho I have almost replaced every part in my computer I can access BIOS so I don't think it's the bios Things that I've replaced HDD GPU CPU MOUSE cuz it kept on disconnecting and reconnecting only on my computer tho but i found out what was the problem on my rd mouse havn't been very patient because You arnt really in the mood for that kind of stuff when everything keeps on crashing when you put alot of money into a computer you want it to work DVD RW CD player RAM now on to the specs not correct AMD Athlon II X AM Dual Core Socket AM GHz MB w Boxed And DDR RAM memory gb got it as a birthday gift I was GPU ATI HD and it requiers W gb GDDR Western digital gb DVD burner just some random ATX power supply W ASUS M N PRO Socket-AM AM ST GeForce ATX DDR GbLAN PCI-Ex x I can probablly figure out by now that it is the Motherboard which i havnt changed Is there any BIOS setting that could cause this havnt been trying to flash it EDIT or the power supply since I dont think i've got enough power as it is for now I'm getting an error in windows installation when extracting files w ultimate x no one seems to have found the sollution and I cant try my ram since i havnt got windows installed if im properally informed I'm downloading it to a USB stick and Will run it from there later this afternoon but I think that the BSOD will come back eventually as it always does Well The BSOD went away when I changed my HDD this autmn but now recently i've been experience LOADS of BSOD's with Different errors I'm in about to cry now since I've changed everything in this computer EXCEPT THE THING THAT SEEMS TO BE THE PROBLEM which is the power supply and Motherboard Going crazy please help any awEsome tech guy but due to the fact that I was experiencing these errors before I changed to such a Demanding power guzzling graphic card even then when the power supply was enough So confused Or it could be that I've Fixed the HDD which was the originally problem and then I got my new graphic card which perhaps would cause this new serie of bluescreens If u don't understand my speculations or my bad english please just TRY to read between the lines

A:BSOD Possible motherboard failiure / power supply?

To give any options that aren't guesswork we really need this information.

http://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-d...tructions.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/153703-bsod-possible-motherboard-failiure-power-supply.html
Relevancy 90.3%

My motherboard has a 24 pin connection and I got a power supply with a 20 pin connection. While I'm waiting for my order of 24 pin connection power supplies, I realized that the 20 pin can fit in the 24 pin motherboard. Will I blow anything or cause harm if I power it up with the 20 pin power supply in the 24 pin connection of the motherboard?

Did I use the correct terminology? I am still learning. Thanks in advance.

A:Motherboard/Power Supply main connector

You wont do any damage, possibly won't power up.
There are adapters to change from 20pin to 24 pin http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=46201

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/motherboard-power-supply-main-connector.787904/
Relevancy 90.3%

I have an emachines t which has been problem-frree for more than years Because motherboard t3265 power and problem supply of warnings about the psu failing and taking out the motherboard I got a new fsp psu along with gb of new ram from Crucial When I installed them power supply and motherboard problem t3265 the computer would repeatedly crash abruptly - sometimes before the windows start page came up and sometimes after I was able to boot up and use programs I took the new psu out and re-installed the new one and everything was fine for about month and the same thing happened It would take longer and longer after unplugging the power cord for the computer to re-boot Now the computer won t boot at all When I turn on the power the psu powers and the fan runs but nothing else If I take out the RAM no beeps I assume I damaged the motherboard Anything else I should try Anything else that could cause this problem I can get the same board for about should I consider any other one for this old computer Thanks Eric nbsp

Relevancy 90.3%

Hello

i recently acquired an asrock pro 3 for a project budget build for a friend and have a query...

Basically, the atx 12v interface for the board has 8 pin holes, however my power supply has a 6+4, so

if i only connect the 6 to the 8 holes will it work?
if i connect 8 and have two pins overhanging will that work?
do i need to buy and adapter for 6 to 8 or 10 to 8?

thanks

A:asrock pro 3 motherboard vs power supply issue

Can you give us the exact version number / serial number for the motherboard. I can only find information on an asrock Pro 3 that shows it with 10 x 2 pins (6+4 connectors) for the motherboard power.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77 Pro3/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/asrock-pro-3-motherboard-vs-power-supply-issue.1166247/
Relevancy 90.3%

I bought a Chaintech CT-7AJA2/AJA2E Motherboard and an Athlon 1.2 gig proccesor. I hooked everything up, then the power supply blew. I believe that I hooked the power button cord reverse polarity, not sure.

On intial start up, looked like it was going to run just fine. I am not sure what I did, but I need help badly.

Got a new power supply, made sure the polarity was correct and plugged it in. Nothing happened, no led light-up or sounds, nothing, Heck the power supply didn't even blow up this time.
p.s. By blow up, I mean burnt out. Smoking and such.

Relevancy 90.3%

Hello I was wondering if someone would have a salution for me or suggestion I have recently bought a MSI -FX FSB Pentium Micro ATX Motherboard with Audio and LAN CPU Supports Intel Socket for Pentium Northwood Processors Support up to GHz FSB Supports FSB MHz Chipset SiS FX Chipset Supports Intel Pentium processors with data transfer and now I freeze. supply Replaced motherboard power rate up to MHz Supports -bit high performance DDR DDR memory controller Supports AGP X X interface at v or x at v with fast write transaction Dual-IDE ATA ACPI amp PC compliant enhanced power management Low pin count interface for SIO Integrated audio controller with AC interface Integrated high speed USB controller Mb s Main Memory Supports two -pin DDR DIMM Supports up to GB memory size without ECC Slots One AGP Accelerated Graphics Port slot - Replaced motherboard and power supply now I freeze. AGP specification compliant - Supports AGP x x Three -bit PCI bus slots LAN RealTek C PHY - Supports Mbps and Mbps auto-negotiation operation - Supports ACPI power management Audio channels software audio codec RealTek ALC - Compliance with AC v Spec - Meet PC audio performance requirement and a Titanium Powmax Assassin Watt or Pin Power Supply w mm Blue LED Fan SATA PCI-E Assassinate your opponents with this elite gamer style power supply Not only does Replaced motherboard and power supply now I freeze. it have next generation PCI Express video connector and SATA support but it features an enormous mm fan for maximum airflow and glowing LED lights FEATURES W Maximum Output CM High Efficiency Green LED Fan w Ultra Silent Design Excellent Heat Dissipation by Honey Comb Structure Built-in Voltage Overload Protection Colored Heat-sink and LED On Off switch Shielded Tube and Black Connectors x Pin Main Connector x PCI Express Connector x Serial ATA connectors Support Intel quot Pentium- quot and AMD quot Athlon XP Complies with ATX and ATX V SPECIFICATIONS Model PSAS Dimensions quot Wx H quot x quot D AC Input A A Hz Hz Max Load A A A - A - A vsb A MTBF K hrs at C ambient conditions Efficiency Min at full load Noise Level Maximum of db at system loading Certified by UL CB CE TUV amp FCC I put in my Intel Celeron P- GHz CPU with its original Heat sink and fan I also replaced the Thermole Grease I have a rear exast fan as well All Fans work well there all pritty new I have MB of DDR and a Nvidia GeForce FX Video Card Its fan is working as well My problem is this I am apperintly overheating I can run my PC some times till windows loads and some times just a couple minutes longer If I open my back door and put a small box fan on my PC I can run till I am ready to turn it off long as the weather out side requires a jacket Any help would be appriciated I have used the MSI Live Update and got all drivers and utillitys running I have also checked and my BIOs is up to date I am running Windows XP I had fried my original motherboard and power supply by hooking a bad monitor up I got the dreeded black screen My PC was perchased at Wal-Mart and was a hp pavilion a w Thanks for your time and I pray someone can help knock nbsp

A:Replaced motherboard and power supply now I freeze.

start by checking all the jumper settings.If there ok or resetting them doesn't work try flashing the bios if you can. make sure all cards,connectors tightly inserted,If problems persist remove devices one at a time.if it works when you remove a device then that device is the problem and needs to be replaced.If any of these are shorted they could cause freezeing.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/replaced-motherboard-and-power-supply-now-i-freeze.41809/
Relevancy 90.3%

Hi,
I'm currently running a machine with an 8-core processor and a 550W Power Supply.

The machine won't run on all 8 cores. It gets to the "Windows Startup" screen and shuts down. It's not running hot as far as I can tell, and if I manually shut down a pair of cores in the BIOS it runs just fine. I am currently running it on 6 cores, but would like to run it on all 8.

Is my Power Supply not powerful enough, or do you think it's another problem?
Thanks.

My System:
Processor: AMD FX 8120 (8-core), 3.1GHz Socket AM3+
Motherboard: ASUS M5A88-V EVO
Power Supply: Logisys 550W ATX12V
Video Card: *Currently using onboard*

A:What size power supply do I need for my CPU/motherboard combo?

Your 550W PSU should run that system just fine. Is your BIOS up to date?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-size-power-supply-do-i-need-for-my-cpu-motherboard-combo.179683/
Relevancy 90.3%

I have a k8v se deluxe motherboard but i need to know where to put the vcc acc ground and another wire that is hooked with it. I know the spot but what pin and what order i need to know. I cant get computer to start up at all without them hooked up.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hooking-up-power-supply-to-k8v-se-deluxe-motherboard.139535/
Relevancy 90.3%

Hi we are building a pc and have the following problem.
Internal LED from power supply stays on - so good, however pc was running now wont turn on. The 24 pin connector from the psu to the motherboard when partly pushed in makes the pc flash on and off - when fully in pc wont turn on at all, led stays on. Power supply is good as we tested it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A:Internal power supply problem to motherboard

Is the motherboard in the case? Are you sure that the motherboard is standing well off from the metal case? If not you may have caused some damage by pushing the connector hard and shorted the motherboard onto the chassis.
How have you tested the power supply? No load tests may not show up a problem.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forum/helproom-1/internal-power-supply-problem-motherboard-4603683/
Relevancy 90.3%

Hey there second topic in minutes but since I am here I thought I would get this off my chest Ummm I m planning on buying a new case the Coolermaster HAF Full Tower Case it comes with mm fans with LED s on the Case Question + Power Motherboard + Supply side panel and a mm fan on the top with ANOTHER mm fan cooling from the back of the case and I m wondering - What will I need to use this case I m just upgrading the case first and building upwards from my older computer year ago gaming pc which had a GeForce GT XXX Alpha Dog GPU and a Core Duo Ghz on an old motherboard which I bought from a friend for cheap this pc also has a Watt Power Supply what would I need to use this case Another part of this question is what power supply would go best with an XFX nForce i motherboard and the coolermaster haf case Sorry if this is all mumble jumble but please read each question seperately not as the one nbsp

Relevancy 90.3%

my xp keep shutting down and by the time i had someone look at it (a friend), they cleaned it but said they couldn't fix it which is unusal for him to not be able to fix it, but he does mostly work on the computer not in it. he said a power supply is probley what i need, is there a way i can tell if it's that are the motherboard are both that are messed up? thanks for any help,rose2948

A:windows xp power supply verses motherboard

Hi rose2948, we'd need a bit more info please such as pc specs and details of your current PSU. Also, did you ever get any 'blue screen of death' errors (BSODs)? If yes, can you remember any details please? Can you hear any beeps when you power up the machine? If yes, how many and their duration please? Are you able to access BIOS at all?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-xp-power-supply-verses-motherboard-176588.html
Relevancy 90.3%

I have a HP Pavilion a n Initially I had problems with it not powering on but the green light I the back was blinking and the blue LED power button light was illuminated nbsp I was told to blow a hair dryer into the power supply fan until the light was steady then I could power it on This worked for a while then the light in the back was no longer lit I was told to change power supply I did that however it was not much of a result When plugged in the light in the back very quickly lights up then goes right out If I unplug the x pin from the motherboard the light on one of the CD drivers in front will come on and the light in the rear of the computer comes on and the power supply fan and processor fan both will come on I still do not have the blue led power button light the second CD driver light nor will the CD drivers open In neither situation can I power the computer on Do I have a faulty power supply or is my othe... problem? supply or What my be Power or motherboard may motherboard bad or something else entirely Any help would be greatly appreciated

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Boot-and-Lockup/What-may-be-my-problem-Power-supply-or-motherboard-or-other/td-p/5653466
Relevancy 90.3%

The Gateway GT4016 desktop still powers on then off, new power supply, motherboard, switch sub, memory removed, dvd tray removed to test for bad. This is a big mega mystery. Hard drive removed temp. so that leaves about everything checked.
When I plug it in, fan starts up for a few seconds, then shuts off. (Not suppossed to do this until I hit the on button)

Relevancy 90.3%

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack bit Processor AMD Phenom tm Quad-Core Processor x Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card ATI Radeon HD XT Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB D Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard ECS MCP PM-GM Antivirus Norton AntiVirus Online Updated and Enabled I have been have Issues Supply/Motherboard Boot/Power strange issues with my PC that lead me to believe there is a bad hardware component and I need help figuring out which one exactly I can t remember which one started first but these two issues seem to signal the beginning of the end and started quite some time ago First the computer was unable boot from the hard disk It would try and load and load and never get anywhere It Boot/Power Supply/Motherboard Issues displayed some text about AEM new component detected or something like that I had the text written down but the paper is gone it was about a year ago that this started Sometimes it sounded like it was reading the CD-ROM drive I would do random things like just restart it restart and immediately open the CD-ROM tray and eventually it would boot Then it eventually stopped booting at all so I put in the Operating System disc and just booted from that The second problem that I recall that began around the same Boot/Power Supply/Motherboard Issues time was that the Boot/Power Supply/Motherboard Issues fan would quot bark quot whenever I clicked on My Computer or something similar caused the fan to kick on It is literally a bark so much that I convinced myself the neighbor had a dog that would bark once at random times while I was working These two issues occurred over the past year I have always had issues with the display adapter driver graphics Certain games wouldn t start or would crash just dumb things But a new issue was that when I viewed a video or streamed a program online in full screen mode occasionally the computer would freeze and lock up I would just hold the power button turn the PC back on and go back to work I assume this is in conjunction with my on-going struggle with the display adapter and not related to the bootup issues Then I noticed that a hard drive disappeared from My Computer This computer has two GB hard drives One is partitioned for recovery purposes The C drive has all of the Windows files programs everything The D drive is the partitioned drive for recovery There should be another drive listed that has my music photos videos stored I can t find it anywhere In the BIOS menu when I have it search for a connection on the several slots of the empty slots are immediately scanned and it says nothing found In one of the slots the scan takes several seconds but it still returns with nothing found Now the crux of the issue began within the last month The computer was freezing crashing on more occasions while running RAM and CPU intensive programs I E playing the Java based game Minecraft while running a server of Minecraft accessible by friends The computer now has bootup issues every time I start it Sometimes it just gets stuck on a screen the Gateway BIOS option screen the Boot from CD screen a black screen etc Other times the screen gets all jumbled Sometimes it freezes here other times it just shuts down and tries restarting again Other times without the screen being jumbled the PC powers off and back on immediately Other times maybe most frequently Windows loads to the choose user screen I pick myself and the desktop loads then it shuts off and powers back on Any time including all of the above examples the computer shuts off and turns back on automatically it gets stuck on the BIOS option Press for BIOS Menu screen I then manually shut down the computer hold power button and turn it back on after a couple seconds At this point it usually loads Windows fine All of the above ultimately results in me restarting twice before the computer works Now once I get in to Windows and it doesn... Read more

Relevancy 90.3%

HI I have and quot old quot ok it IS old Micron Millennia XS input power .. guru from supply/motherboard Need ghz P tower desktop It has been working fine for years left on continuously but recently has been found shut off with it power light red instead of Need input from power supply/motherboard guru .. green Which normally indicates sleep mode It stays on anywhere from Need input from power supply/motherboard guru .. hours to more than hours I ve never caught it shutting off so I can t swear it isn t going into sleep mode but I can t get it to power up without unplugging the unit and plugging it back in and then restarting BTW some power was definitely getting to the mainboard as the small green LED on the mainboard was lit inside the computer Anyway I deduced it had to be a An OS issue ruled out now b Heat Issue or c a Power Supply Issue Having rule out the OS issue and seriously doubting a heat issue I Need input from power supply/motherboard guru .. decided to try the PS issue besides it s the easiest to test vs the heat issue So I went to use a PS from my even older Micron P mhz that was not being used however it did not have what appeared to be the right connectors so I grabbed a PS out of a quot newer quot Dell XPS ghz P I wasn t really using Here is where it gets weird I go to pull out the PS from the Meillenia XS and discover it has the normal -pin mainboard connector but ALSO a -pin auxilliary connector one RED two ORANGE three BLACK labeled quot P quot Now the motherboard also has the standard -pin v connector two-yellow two-black wires as well However it seems like there was nothing plugged into it but from my understanding it had to have been or the CPU would not get enough power or possibly any power The old power supply does have the v -pin connector and of course the aforementioned -pin aux The newer PS from the DELL does not have the -pin connector So sorry for the long drawn-out setup but I guess what I want to know is will plugging in the -pin v connector which I m pretty sure had to have been connected before and not having an auxillary -pin connection cause any problems The motherboard is a D GB chipset if that helps Also IF for some reason that -pin V connector had come out would my PC have even powered up and if so could that have been the cause of the computer randomly shutting off and therefore my old PS was fine Thanks and again apologies for the lack of brevity Best Tim PS gt Is this some kind of hybrid AT ATX motherboard or something nbsp

A:Need input from power supply/motherboard guru ..

First, I believe that Intel chipset 850 is the immediate precursor to the 8X5 chipsets, with Northwood P-4 CPUs, (845,865, ya da ya da yadda). However, I've seen references to an older socket, (423), as well as the socket 478, with 850 boards.

(Edit; I just researched this. It seems there is an adapter to allow the use of socket 478 CPUs in the 850 boards, which are socket 423).

PSU failure is very often accompanied by a failure to wake up from standby. The seem to run OK, but when you shut them down, the seem to "die of natural causes".

The, "you gotta pull the plug, and plug it back in before it will start" behaviour shows a failure in the "soft off" circuit.

I think there's an amount of +5 volt current required on standby. This is to keep USB "alive".

Before I would plug the 6 pin "aux" connector into anything, I would check the voltages. The red should be =5 volts, and the 2 orange wires MUST be 12 volts. The 3 blacks are grounds, keyed to the hot wires.

In a rhetorical sense, if the 6 pin block would plug in correctly, with the two orange wires to the 4 pin CPU block, (and they were in fact +12 volts), it would probably be fine.(Don't forget proper orientation, the positive terminals should be marked on the board).

In the real world sense, I'd definitely spring for another PSU, and not experiment with it.

I don't think the +12 supply directly to the CPU back then, was as critical as it is today. Once upon a time, CPUs had a much lower current requirement. (Which is why they also ran cooler).

All of that said, I seriously doubt that your old PSU was fine.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-input-from-power-supply-motherboard-guru.156532/
Relevancy 89.44%

I have an old PC with a booting problem I d like opinions on whether the or (Codegen issue? Motherboard supply power 300X) problem is the Codegen x power supply or the motherboard itself I don t want to be fobbed off into buying another machine just yet The machine shows the following symptoms at boot up First attempt at boot on a cold machine Boots up then freezes with screen image remaining Motherboard or power supply (Codegen 300X) issue? It may take minutes to freeze during which time the machine is capable of doing useful work Second and subsequent attempts at boot on a cold machine after removing and replugging power cord EITHER Boots up screen LED goes green then does one of two things - a Hangs with screen image remaining - b Cuts out completely - with screen image disappearing OR Fails to boot screen LED never goes green - c Makes several beeping sounds After about the th - th attempt at boot when warmer - d Boots up correctly Remains functional with no problems for hours - e The box behind the power cord CODEGEN W Model X makes a bit of a noise Performance after correct boot It gives me no problems at all for - hours at least It can correctly operate Windows Movie Maker and will save movie files from this program which take over hour to complete There are no internet connectivity problems It correctly reads and operates external devices such as a Seagate external hard drive a jetflash and a camcorder Initial boot immediately after shutdown or standby Boots correctly and machine remains functional when the boot is performed on a warm machine that has just been shutdown or placed on standby This CODEGEN box has been making these noises for sometime even when the machine was booting up first time However it is no longer making the really bad graunching noise it did prior to this booting problem becoming apparent nbsp

A:Motherboard or power supply (Codegen 300X) issue?

I've had this formally diagnosed as my video card. I'm not entirely convinced this is the only problem but here's hoping.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/motherboard-or-power-supply-codegen-300x-issue.156490/
Relevancy 89.44%

Currently, I turn my computer on, and nothing happens, except green light on mother board and yellow light on computer "On" switch. I started testing power supply. That obviously works. I disconected everything from power supply and started to reconnect everything one by one.
Everthing seemed to allow the test switch on power box to power everything except when i came to connecting the 2x2 auxiliary atx 12v power connector (P9), into the mother board. It quickly shorts everything out, and i'm back to square 1 with just having the yellow "on" switch and green light on mother board, and fans shut off again.
Whats the problem?

I have a 500s 1.5 hertz gateway
Any help would be greatly appreciate.d...

twism227

A:Connecting 2x2 connector from power supply into motherboard shorts everything out?

If you don't own a power supply tester take your tower to a local shop and have them test the power supply. Even if the power supply tests good, have them "jump" a known good power supply to the board and see if the problem continues.

I have people bring towers in quite often for testing. It takes 20-30 minutes and the cost should be minimal perhaps $25-$30. You need to find out if your problem is with the power supply or the motherboard.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/connecting-2x2-connector-from-power-supply-into-motherboard-shorts-everything-out.847030/
Relevancy 89.44%

I have an ASUS M AGTD PRO and it requires EATX power However my power supply only has ATX and EPS power Both v as required by my motherboard I at first tried using the EPS cable which worked Sorta It wouldn t boot but I can t exactly say that it was at the fault of the PSU just yet as I had incompatible RAM wasn t listed under the QVL and CPU wasn t listed under the supported processors my and compatibility motherboard Question v.s. EATX v.s. supply about EPS) power (ATX both of Question about my motherboard and power supply compatibility (ATX v.s. EATX v.s. EPS) which are being replaced shortly It fit perfectly into place as well Which I can t exactly say for the other cable The ATX cable didn t work but it s possible that I didn t place the x pins in their correct positions as I ve heard mention that it s still possible to power the motherboard with ATX when it requires EATX I m troubleshooting several other things on my new build so I can t exactly limit my issue to my power supply But I guess what I m asking is whether or not my PSU is compatible with my motherboard If it is then I can eliminate it from my list of suspects nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/question-about-my-motherboard-and-power-supply-compatibility-atx-v-s-eatx-v-s-eps.167140/
Relevancy 89.44%

Brand New Motherboard and Power Supply for sale

A:Qosmio X770-11X - new motherboard and power supply for sale

Originally Posted by jtk

Brand New Motherboard and Power Supply for sale

Also Intel? Core? i7-2670QM Processor
4,096 + 4,096) MB, DDR3 RAM (1,333 MHz) Memory
Hard disk 1,000 (Solid State Hybrid 4G Drive with 500GB and 4GB NAND flash + 500GB) GB
Jim Kerr Sent from my iPad

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?91509-Qosmio-X770-11X-new-motherboard-and-power-supply-for-sale
Relevancy 89.44%

My old HP model GHz has a mere watt power supply I m getting into video capturing and have started having reboot problems well into the capture process I was told my problem may be heat related cpu or Keep in mind I m a novice and not a gamer nothing against you guys I m getting into digitizing analog vhs and mm tapes and burning the edited product to dvd and I need help and Motherboard and Requirements Supply Voltage, Amperage, Power lots of it I ve looked at several video cards to upgrade my nVIDIA RIVA TNT mere MB card because my computer indicated after the second reboot via a dialog box that my nighed driver needs to updated But Power Supply Amperage, Voltage, and Motherboard Requirements I was thinking about going with a MB card instead But here s the problem Most all new video cards I ve looked at require a minimum of watt power supply for instance the eVGA eforce FX MB or MB does Here are my questions Can I run a video card that requires watts on my watt power supply without problem Could this be my reboot problem Is it difficult to swap out a power supply Do I have to be concerned about anything in the power supply spec s besides wattage like voltage and amps Does my computer s motherboard ASUS P B-LA but I m told it s really P B-LU require a specific power supply with specific voltages and amperage I need help here to decide what I need to do and why I need to do it I hope this makes sense If not please query me about anything you need in order to help me I want to learn so I will be able to capture store on hd edit and burn old tapes to dvd I m using quot ADS Pyro A V Link quot with quot Adobe Premiere Elements quot to do this I just bought it and am still learning Adobe is tough to learn The hardware is straight forward and easy Here s what happens when I use what my quot li l ole quot HP as it was shipped no I upgraded the RAM to MB and added the GB HD that s it While I m capturing video after about minutes this time is Power Supply Amperage, Voltage, and Motherboard Requirements likely to be different each time I capture my computer reboots and I lose all of the captured video it s still on my HD but it s corrupt and useable won t open so I have to rerun it again I lost GB of video minutes worth in my first long capture short captures didn t cause this reboot problem I m capturing video to a nearly empty new GB rpm MB cache WD HD Keep in mind I ve only captured two video to hd one minute and minute the shorter one didn t cause the reboot only the minute one Help please Power Supply Amperage, Voltage, and Motherboard Requirements and thanks sorry this is so long but to me it s worth the effort if I want good advice nbsp

Relevancy 89.44%

Well lets get my specs out of the way Motherboard GigaByte GA- A-UD AM CPU AMD Phenom II X (No Motherboard Supply or boot Power Solved: POST) Vs. Ghz Memory G Skill Ripjaws X gb x Solved: Power Supply Vs. Motherboard (No boot or POST) gb DDR PSU Rosewill W Video Card Sapphire Radeon HD gb or a Radeon HD gb Basically the problem is this originally the pc would boot but after about hours Solved: Power Supply Vs. Motherboard (No boot or POST) of use the video would go out and the pc would become unresponsive The video card had a red light on the back d which means cord was removed the error the led designated was not the correct one the plug was in I switched plugs and used an adapter to be sure I decided to take a break for the night and try again in the morning Alas the computer booted in the morning but again the same problem occured about hours later I initially assumed that Solved: Power Supply Vs. Motherboard (No boot or POST) the video card may be becoming faulty as it was getting up there in age this is the Radeon HD I decided to switch it out with another I had on hand the Once again it booted up but days after installing it I went to the bathroom and came back and found no Video output I decided to go into full troubleshoot mode and started testing each piece with the little necessary tools I have and the vast knowledge of the internet on my phone I am at a dorm at school and against better judgement didnt really bring any spare parts or test hardware to check components against I removed everything except the processor the motherboard the new GPU and the PSU and tried to power up Every fan and every light would spin but no POST beeps I plugged in my ram to see if the Case Speaker was broken and to see if it would boot but no change I then unplugged the video card and the ram and tried to get it to atleast give me some POST beep codes but this time when I replugged the power and attempted to boot no power would even be given CPU fan would spin for a split sec then stop This has brought me immense stress only computer I have and I need it working for my programming classes I also think I narrowed down the problem to either the motherboard or the PSU based on the individual component testing However until the weekend or maybe even the following weekend I cannot test either with another PSU MOBO I would however like to hear any opinions of what other problems may be causing this as well The purchase of a new PSU or MOBO really isn t in my best interests financially but sadly is a necessity So what are your guys thought and sorry for the long thread nbsp

A:Solved: Power Supply Vs. Motherboard (No boot or POST)

My guess would be that rosewill power supply.
Not exactly a high grade power supply.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-power-supply-vs-motherboard-no-boot-or-post.1046991/
Relevancy 89.44%

Customer has brought me a Sony Vaio PCV-C11L and an ATX power supply that he wants installed to replace 'blown' PS.

Motherboard is ASUS P4SD-VL and the existing PS has additional power plug (P2 3-pin) that plugs into port immediately adjacent to main power (P1).
While the physical dimensions will offer a problem to installation...... I think that can be overcome. My greatest concern is just what the P2 is for, since the replacement PS doesn't have that plug . Have not been able to locate a 'map' of this motherboard -- Sony doesn't have any info.....

Anyone know anything about this PC?????

Relevancy 89.44%

Hi everyone- This is my first time here and I need help I m a newbie and not real technically advanced but here s my problem A few days ago I was trying to connect my scanner to a USB port and I noticed my mouse got stuck I hit the power button on the front of the computer to turn off I rebooted and then I couldn t enter my windows password because my keyboard didn t work either I then turned off the computer from the reset button in the back Then I flipped it back and tried to power on my computer and it has never turned on again I should mention that Power Supply? doesn't or Motherboard start Computer when I try to turn on the computer there are no sounds no fans moving It s just silent and dead It doesn t try to do anything Could it be the power supply or motherboard I tried using different outlets and changed out the computer cord that runs to the outlet My friend helped me build my computer about years ago I have left it Computer doesn't start Motherboard or Power Supply? running mostly which I guess isn t good Could I have worn out my computer faster I don t even remember Computer doesn't start Motherboard or Power Supply? what kind of mobo I have or really anything I have to look and my friend ordered the parts yrs ago The only repair I ve ever had to do on it was replace the fan about months ago My friend instructed me to open up the computer and see if the wiring from the power button to the motherboard looked ok and it looked fine I just wonder if the keyboard mouse problem first gives any hint to what could ve happened There were no weird sounds no smells nothing burned that I could tell My friend and I are going to look at it this weekend but we could use some advice I am going through computer withdrawal at home am posting from work right now Oh regarding the scanner I guess I should mention that my USB port I was trying is in the front of the computer below the power button However I noticed I can t fit it in the USB port anymore because it s bent or something Maybe this did something to affect the power button itself So I never succeeded in getting the scanner in there because it didn t fit in the quot bent quot USB port then the mouse froze etc Then I was checking my cords in the back to the mouse and keyboard and then the whole non-powering thing happened I also tried a suggestion where I unplugged the power button from the Mobo and put a dime on top of the two pins to try to power it on and nothing happened Help I m desperate nbsp

A:Computer doesn't start Motherboard or Power Supply?

It sounds like there was a short in the USB port and it damaged the motherboard. There is electrical current running through the USB port.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-doesnt-start-motherboard-or-power-supply.19992/
Relevancy 89.44%

Hello, I the power supply light of my Media Center m1050y is blinking and the PC does not turn on at all. So I tried the troubleshooting sequence posted here in the HP Support site, and after unplugging all the cables and replugging them one by one, it turns out that the light blinks only when the PS is connected to the mother board (the connection is a white, wide plug with about 12 pins - pardon my ignorance on the actual name). I looked on the internet about trying to narrow the cause on the motherboard and I unplugged the front USB ports, the fan, and other "solutions" without any luck. Does this mean the motherboard is fried and either I need to replace the motherboard or look for another PC? Thanks!

A:Power Supply Light Blinking When Plugged to Motherboard Only

What troubleshooting sequences did you try......was it this.   Suggestion: get a hair dryer, and use it at the rear vent. See if the light stops flashing. Read about the hair dryer tip here.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Power-Supply-Light-Blinking-When-Plugged-to-Motherboard-Only/td-p/5682486
Relevancy 89.44%

For a little while, I was periodically getting the blue screen of death... more frequently lately. When I checked the Event viewer in Vista it had an error each time it happened that said something about Power Management kernel error and Processor 0. Also I sometimes heard beeps before the blue screens would happen that sounded like it could be coming from the power supply, but it was hard to tell. Now the computer just freezes at the motherboard splash screen and will not boot (can't even get into BIOS). Could this be caused by a bad power supply?

A:PC freezes at motherboard splash screen, could it be power supply?

Not likely. It is more likely the hard drive is failing... or you have a problem elsewhere.

Usually the power supply will either work or quit all together.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-freezes-at-motherboard-splash-screen-could-it-be-power-supply.121349/
Relevancy 89.44%

I have had issues with BSODs for a while, now. I have had the hard drives, RAM and graphics cards professionally checked.

I installed a new motherboard, reinstalled Windows 7 (again) and installed a new power supply as the old one was on its last legs. Any help greatly appreciated as it is driving me crazy!

Attachment 262228

Kindest regards,

Clive.

A:BSOD after clean install, new power supply & new motherboard.

Hi,

Firstly please install Windows Service Pack 1 as it will increase system stability.
Then once installed please run Windows Updates and install the latest updates.

http://windows.microsoft.com/is-IS/windows7/install-windows-7-service-pack-1
http://windows.microsoft.com/is-IS/windows/service-packs-download#sptabs=win7

From your crash dumps:

Quote:
* Bugcheck Analysis *
Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.
BugCheck 1A, {403, fffff6800004a950, f020000088fd9867, fffff6800002cc50}
Probably caused by : win32k.sys ( win32k!SURFACE::bDeleteSurface+3c8 )
Followup: MachineOwner
---------
0: kd> !analyze -v
* Bugcheck Analysis *
MEMORY_MANAGEMENT (1a)
# Any other values for parameter 1 must be individually examined.
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000000403, The subtype of the bugcheck.
Arg2: fffff6800004a950
Arg3: f020000088fd9867
Arg4: fffff6800002cc50
STOP 0x0000001A: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT

Usual causes: Device driver, memory, kernel

Driver causing issues:

Quote:
fffff880`08c9d868 fffff880`0498ac05Unable to load image \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\nvlddmkm.sys, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for nvlddmkm.sys
nvlddmkm nvlddmkm.sys Thu May 14 21:48:07 2009

Please update your driver as it is outdated, choose Option 2:
http://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-uk

Run SFC to check the integrity of all Windows 7 system files:
Click on the Start > Type in search cmd
Right click cmd at top and Run as Administrator
Type SFC /scannow at the prompt
(Note: there is a space between SFC and /scannow)
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html

You dont appear to have an Anti-Virus Installed, please install:

Microsoft Security Essentials.
Recommended from a strict BSOD perspective, compatibility & stability
compared to other antiviruses/internet security software.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/security-essentials-download

If your issue still remains after you have carried out the above:
Take memtest. Run for 8 passes and test each stick in a know good slot for an additional 6 passes.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/105647-ram-test-memtest86.html

Tip
Run these tests overnight

Post back any results/observations

Cheers
Dave

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/284692-bsod-after-clean-install-new-power-supply-new-motherboard.html
Relevancy 89.44%

I ECS 400 for kw? Power supply or motherboard: requirement KM400-M2 350kw am upgrading my pc using my old ATX case with a new motherboard which is ECS KM -M The cpu is AMD XP The pc would work for a few minutes or seconds and then just shutdown by itself The day before yesterday I posted this question in this forum and an expert had provided with some suggestions on this problem It seems that something wrong with Power supply requirement for ECS KM400-M2 motherboard: 350kw or 400 kw? the power supply and the cpu temperature I definitely appreciated that Before I throw more money onto this computer I really don t like to do so could somebody help me on this issues Do I need a more powerful power switch Right now I have a kw power supply and someone suggest me to buy a kw one I actually bought and installed a new case fan I connect the pins to the motherboard However when the pc is starting from the BIOS I couldn t see its speed and the temperature Is that a problem What s wrong and Why Please help Thanks very much in advanced nbsp

A:Power supply requirement for ECS KM400-M2 motherboard: 350kw or 400 kw?

Kilowatt? Thats a PSU with balls! 400-500 watt should be fine. Has anyone told NASA? All this time they've tried to spend millions on glorified supplys fort they're system,s and all they had to do was throw a few hundred bucks towards the lovely people at whoever makes those PSU's

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/power-supply-requirement-for-ecs-km400-m2-motherboard-350kw-or-400-kw.40875/
Relevancy 89.44%

once iv powered down my pc the motherboard led stays lit and i hear a high pitched sound coming from the back near the psu. once i turn off power to the computer completely via the power switch on the psu, the mobo still stays lit for a few seconds then goes off, during this period the sound gets progressively higher, then lower, then gets really high before stopping , this is when the led goes off. can anyone help me with this issue.
my motherboard is asus z97 pro gamer
psu xfx 650w xtr

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forum/helproom-1/high-pitch-sound-power-supply-or-motherboard-4599185/
Relevancy 88.15%

After having a new motherboard and power supply installed while keeping the rest of my hardware I did a windows having now repaired new power problems motherboard and Installed windows, supply, repair and downloaded all the updates Installed new motherboard and power supply, repaired windows, now having problems It was acting pretty normal except the screen right after the Windows XP logo and right before the user login screen where is says quot Starting Windows quot it takes a good minutes where before I dont even remember seeing it it went so fast After playing a game for awhile the game disappeared all of a sudden then a few minutes later I got the blue screen of death So my computer restarts and now whenever I try to start internet explorer my CPU usage goes to and my computer goes so slow its practically frozen and nothing I do brings it back it seems to get worse with every restart Installed new motherboard and power supply, repaired windows, now having problems I tried to go to the control panel once too and it just completely locked up So here I am stuck in safe mode just paid to Installed new motherboard and power supply, repaired windows, now having problems get my computer repaired and its acting worse than ever Please help someone everything I can think of to help diagnose the problem is below ----Error Log BCCode e BCP C BCP BF E BCP F BC BCP OSVer SP Product ----And when the blue screen of death came up this is what I got before it restarted STOP x E xC D xBF D xF BE x win k sys Address BF D base at BF and this is where it restarted ----It also mentioned something about these files C WINDOWS Minidump Mini - dmp C DOCUME MATTGR LOCALS Temp WER tmp dir sysdata xml ----And this is my hijackthis log I know theres problems I just dont know where they are or how to fix them Pleeeeeeease help Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at AM on Platform Windows XP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C WINDOWS System ctfmon exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Documents and Settings Administrator Desktop HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www msn com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http www microsoft com isapi redir r amp ar msnhome R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Connection Wizard Shellnext http www msn com O - BHO no name - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Reader ActiveX AcroIEHelper ocx O - BHO no name - B B- FE- C D- F-BCA FC B - C WINDOWS System AANTX dll O - BHO - d - - f- c-bbdd e a - C WINDOWS System f dll file missing O - BHO ie - FF C- EB - db-A B -C E - c windows iehr dll O - BHO no name - - F - D - - D F - C SPYBOT SDHelper dll O - BHO no name - D A CA- BFB- DE -BA E-A F CCA C - no file O - Toolbar no name - - FC- baf- C C-BCE BD F - no file O - Toolbar no name - CDE A D-A - -BF -E B C F EB - no file O - Toolbar amp Radio - E - F- D - E- A C - C WINDOWS System msdxm ocx O - HKLM Run CTStartup C Program Files Creative Splash Screen CTEaxSpl EXE run O - HKLM Run nwiz nwiz exe install O - HKLM Run AWMON quot C Ad-Aware SE Pro Ad-Watch exe quot O - HKLM Run NvCplDaemon RUNDLL EXE C WINDOWS System NvCpl dll NvStartup O - HKLM Run NvMediaCenter RUNDLL EXE C WINDOWS System NvMcTray dll NvTaskbarInit O - HKCU Run ctfmon exe C WINDOWS System ctfmon exe O - HKLM RunOnce BrandClearStubs RUNDLL IEDKCS DLL BrandCleanInstallStubs gt B E -C CC- D - - A C FF MICROS O - HKLM RunOnce Regsister WScript wscript -regserver O - Extra 'Tools' me... Read more

A:Installed new motherboard and power supply, repaired windows, now having problems

sorry m8 v busy but try "hijack this" and "spybot" you can also get spysewwper trial and do that then uninstall it and maybe an antivirus bcus it sounds like a virus maybe onboard

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/installed-new-motherboard-and-power-supply-repaired-windows-now-having-problems-16912.html
Relevancy 88.15%

I really do not want to be stuck on the phone with some tech guy in India for two hours again so I wanted to ask some professionals I have a Dell Inspiron bought back in - Windows XP OS G of DDR mhz Ram - Mb and - GB Intel Core heatsink, power still computer supply, and issues fans... and motherboard, New having Duo Processor E M Cache GHz MHz FSB GB HD Watt Power Supply NVIDIA GeForce mGPU graphics card M-Audio Fast Track Pro external sound card This computer is my studio baby I New motherboard, power supply, heatsink, and fans... and still having computer issues use it for all my computer graphics and D animation work while my husband uses New motherboard, power supply, heatsink, and fans... and still having computer issues it for all his audio recording work About years ago it did the whole turn itself off and on and off and on etc so we had the motherboard and power supply replaced and it worked like new Just last week it happened again same power off on problem so this time we had the motherboard power supply heat sink and fans replaced It worked fine for a few hours and then suddenly shut itself off again It hasn t done the whole turn itself back on and off thing multiple times yet so I m thinking this might be a new problem Any suggestions Thank you in advance for any help nbsp

A:New motherboard, power supply, heatsink, and fans... and still having computer issues

Is the version of Windows XP 64-bit by any chance? If so, that could explain the intermittent behavior...

You might want to go with a 400w power supply from a trusted manufacturer

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-motherboard-power-supply-heatsink-and-fans-and-still-having-computer-issues.156314/
Relevancy 88.15%

Hi all.

I recently picked up a computer, here are the specs:

Pentium 4 1.7GHz CPU
Asus P4B-MX motherboard
256MB RAM
20GB hard drive
10GB secondary hard drive
32MB AGP video card (don't remember the brand, but it is not an onboard card)
400W power supply
Windows XP Pro SP2

It all works properly as is. Now, I tried to replace the video card with a LeadTek WinFast A280LE 128MB card (I cannot tell whether it is nVidia or ATi). This is where the problem begins. It starts up properly about 10% of the time. The other 90%, at the POST for the BIOS, it does one long beep, then 3 short beeps before continuing on to Windows with nothing appearing on the screen. Interestingly enough, Windows still works.

Offhand, I have discounted the problem being drivers (at the very least it should go through the POST) and device conflicts (ditto). Can anybody help?

A:Solved: Video Card, Motherboard or Power Supply - Which is the problem?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-video-card-motherboard-or-power-supply-which-is-the-problem.423035/
Relevancy 88.15%

During a recent storm lightning struck very close to my house and we lost power immediately after the lightning strike Once power was restored my HP Pavilion a would not re-start The computer and all the peripherals were protected I thought by two surge protectors On closer inspection I found that the green LED on the power supply was blinking I disconnected all the connections coming from the power supply and when I did the green light went from blinking to steady on I re-connected the leads one by one and the light stayed on until I connected the pin connection to the motherboard As soon as I connected the pin lead to the motherboard the solid green LED went back to flashing I assume from the diagnostics that something on the motherboard was fried by the lightning is Connector Power Pin Starts 20 to Supply Blinking When LED Attached Motherboard on I know how to replace a power supply but have never dealt with motherboard issues so not sure how to proceed The computer is only months old and LED on Power Supply Starts Blinking When 20 Pin Connector is Attached to Motherboard I would like to save it but don t know what I might be looking as far as expense and time involved to repair Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/led-on-power-supply-starts-blinking-when-20-pin-connector-is-attached-to-motherboard.840165/
Relevancy 87.29%

Gateway FX E Processor Intel Core i - Processor GHz install to motherboard power any you 5770 plan another can / Radeon supply recommend? with Turbo Boost Technology up to GHz MB Smart Cache Operating System Genuine Windows Home Premium -bit Memory GB DDR Dual-Channel MHz Memory x MB Memory Capacity DDR Slots Total Slots Available Hard Drive TB SATA hard drive Green Product - variable RPM Video ATI Radeon HD Graphics card with GB of Discrete Video Memory Optical Drive X DVD -R RW SuperMulti Drive Power Supply W Power Supply Application Software Microsoft Works amp Microsoft Office Home and Student -day complimentary trial period Audio High Definition Audio with Audio Support Available Expansion Slots Available - PCI-E x - PCI-E x - PCI Chassis High performance black glossy design with trendy red accents any motherboard / power supply can you recommend? plan to install another Radeon 5770 and lighting effects Dimensions Box quot H any motherboard / power supply can you recommend? plan to install another Radeon 5770 x quot W x quot D or mm H x mm W x mm D Dimensions System quot H x quot W x quot D or mm H x mm W x mm D External Ports USB Front Rear HDMI PS DVI Audio High Definition Headphone Jack High Definition Microphone Jack Keyboard Multimedia Keyboard Media Card Reader Multi-in-One Digital Media Card Reader with PhotoFrame Button Motherboard Systemboard with Intel H Express Chipset my question is do you have any recommended power supply and mother board to support another Radeon another question will i have to upgrade any thing else to get this to work I just wanna upgrade to Crossfire config i should have the RAM and processing speed i need already nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/any-motherboard-power-supply-can-you-recommend-plan-to-install-another-radeon-5770.956971/
Relevancy 85.14%

Toshiba Satellite L305-5955, Ive taken apart and replaced power jack. Not directly soldered to motherboard. While still apart, and battery out/in, connected power supply and still absolutely no response. Power supply is NOT original, and slightly different specs, i.e original 19v..6.3A

current 19v..3.1A

A:Toshiba Satellite L305-5955 does not respond to power supply, new power jack

Almost certainly the problem is that the current rating is wrong, if the laptop needs
6.3 A of current, it won't function on less (just as you can't use a 3A fuse for a kettle!)
Unfortunately it must be the right current rating, I know, I've been caught that way too!
Maybe you can exchange it?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/toshiba-satellite-l305-5955-does-not-respond-to-power-supply-new-power-jack.179540/
Relevancy 85.14%

I have a Dell 8600 about two years old. When I plug in the AC adapter, it intermittently fades to the battery as though the plug was pulled out (its not) and of course the screen fades in an out when every time it swithces--it does it every 30 to 60 seconds or so. I switched to a different AC adapter (I have a Dell 600M with the same AC adapter)-same thing so I know it is something internally. Any ideas?

A:Dell Laptop Power Supply Fading In and Out--power jack is bad or loose?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-laptop-power-supply-fading-in-and-out-power-jack-is-bad-or-loose.472044/
Relevancy 85.14%

Ever since i got this new motherboard and CPU ive been having a bit of a nightmare Wont Gigabyte Power up ga-ma790fx - Phenom AMD 9850 Supply & Power with it Gigabyte ga-ma fx-ds -Latest Bios AMD Phenom Black Edition gigs PC ram Corsair XMS CM X - ATI Radeon The problem is that the motherboard will NOT power up at all with the of the latest power supplies watt i have It wont work at all with Nothing happens its just dead Arctic watt Jeantech PSU brand new and working Corsair watt HX PSU working It only seems to work with my Jeantech Watt PSU and i cant for the life of me figure out why Ive tried everything to get the board to work with the new PSU s I had thought that the PSUs i got were dodgy but after testing out one in an older PC it worked fine Ive removed all parts and tried powering up and i cant get it to boot up But the PC seems to work fine with the oldish watt PSU which i find just unbelievable Can anyone help with this nightmare Now on the Gigabyte site the CPU i have isnt listed as supported by this motherboard which is kinda worrying could this be the reason If so how the old Power Supply Wont Power up - Gigabyte ga-ma790fx & AMD Phenom 9850 PSU boots up I just want to have the fracking thing working with the right PSU nbsp

A:Power Supply Wont Power up - Gigabyte ga-ma790fx & AMD Phenom 9850

if I read the specifications right on your mobo... it implies that it has the 4 pin PCI-e input(power) but it also has the 8pin ATX power conector. (it may be simply removing a cap that is actually right next to the 4 pin connector, thus making it an 8 pin connector (thats how it was on my mobo)

Try using the 8pin power with your new PSU, see if that works.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/power-supply-wont-power-up-gigabyte-ga-ma790fx-amd-phenom-9850.112038/
Relevancy 85.14%

Yesterday in my house,electric fuse was switched to turn on cooker in my kitchen. During this power delivery was stopped for 4-5 second only.
When power back on then pc automatically turns on and just before bios show me :"?Power supply surges detected during the previous power on ASUS anti-surge was triggered to protect system from unstable supply unit.
Press F1 to continue.? And then pc booted fine to Windows.

Is this normal ? Did it damage something? Why i get that message is this normal?

PC:
6700K stock
16GB DDR4
Asus Z170-P
Corsair 750 RM
Gtx 1080
SSD 1x

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/66598-power-supply-surges-detected-during-previous-power-asus-anti-su.html