Windows Support Forum

Accessing Data On Faulty Hard Drive

Q: Accessing Data On Faulty Hard Drive

My PC s hard drive recently failed and had to be replaced Thankfully I had a bit of warning as the drive Drive Accessing On Faulty Data Hard had been acting strangely for a while so I d backed up pretty-much everything that s important to me before the failure However there is one email that I received just Accessing Data On Faulty Hard Drive before the crash and which is very important to me Unfortunately I didn t have time Accessing Data On Faulty Hard Drive to back this up I would like to Accessing Data On Faulty Hard Drive try to retrieve this email from off of the faulty drive and have read quite widely on the internet that one way of possibly gaining temporary access to a faulty drive is to place the faulty drive in some ziplock bags to exclude moisture and then to deep freeze it afterwhich and once reconnected it just may work for long enough to back up important docs Some say to freeze the drive for hours and some say for at least a week but my question is no matter how long the drive is frozen for does it actually help it to work or is it just a joke with me being so stupid as to believe it I mean surely after re-connection and once the frozen drive begins to warm back up water droplets may form on its suface and circuitry which certainly wouldn t bode well for continued operation when connected to a volt supply When all is said and done I would like to retrieve my lost data but not at the expense of turning my entire PC into toast Let s suppose I keep the freshly frozen drive out of the PC case let s say on an antistatic bag and connect it to its own volt supply and not the same one as used to power the rest of the PC so that the only connection it has to the main board is by means of its SATA cable Would I be likely to do any damage this way Perhaps just worth a mention that when the drive failed it just sat there either making a clicking noise or doing nothing with the PC continually displaying the blue screen of death Ultimately can anyone suggest any better ways of gaining access to data on a faulty drive Any suggestions gratefully received nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Accessing Data On Faulty Hard Drive

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 86.86%

Hello Everyone help advice needed please I have a HP laptop that had TB c drive i from Drive Hard Data been thats Recover Faulty partitioned partitioned it into two further drives Drive E and Drive F both had been assigned a drive letter weeks ago my laptops hard drive became faulty and i sent it off to repair with Knowhow I asked my data to be recovered before they put in a new one So what they did was only save what was on my C drive which was hardly anything and NOTHING of my other two important drives Recover Data from Faulty Hard Drive thats been partitioned E F was saved at all I phoned them up and spoke to the IT section and they said they will send the faulty hard drive back and for me to return it back to them via the store with an external hard drive so it can be recovered so what i want to know is can the data be recovrerd as EVERYTHING was saved on those two drives I have been told various things One said it cant be recovered because the main C drive was partitioned and someone else said it can be i do regular backups but since begining of this year i have not been able to as i was hospitalised in ICU and everything i did before that i didnt manage to backup and now i fear all that has been lost can anyone reassure me that it will be recovwred

A:Recover Data from Faulty Hard Drive thats been partitioned

As long as the 3 partitions where not over-written by "Knowhow" the data should all be intact and readable to the extent that the drive is readable..

when you get your old HDD back - purchase a HDD to USB external adapter - and you should be able to access the data..
to copy it over to another HDD > that is what they are going to do..

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/65909-recover-data-faulty-hard-drive-thats-been-partitioned.html
Relevancy 82.99%

I recently purchased a USB hard drive enclosure for my old laptop's hard drive, and I am now trying to access the data on it from my new computer. When I plug the hard drive into the USB port, it does not show up in 'my computer.' It does show up under disk management, however, and it gives me the option of 'initializing' it. I am afraid doing this will format the disk and erase the data, which I don't want to do. I simply want to be able to browse the files from my old hard drive. Any suggestions as to how I should proceed? Thank you.

A:hard drive enclosure--accessing data

My new computer is a Dell Studio laptop running windows vista. The hard drive is from a Toshiba Satellite running windows xp. The hard drive enclosure is an I/O Magic 2.0 enclosure. It did not come with any software. Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-enclosure-accessing-data.815977/
Relevancy 82.99%

My IBM Thinkcentre Windows XP crashed and when I tried to repair XP it basically installed a brand new version of the OS partition. So now I cannot access files such as pics, music etc from hard drive.

Thanks in advance!

A:Problem Accessing Data from Hard Drive

At this point, do as little as you can from that computer. You can probably still recover these files. Download a free program like Recuva and run a scan on that hard drive to try and recover those files. You may have to mount the hard drive in another computer and run the scan from a different Windows OS. Good luck!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problem-accessing-data-from-hard-drive.995407/
Relevancy 82.99%

We added the hard drive from our old computer into our new computer (so, I have two hard drives, an old one and the new one). I can access Word documents, etc. on the old drive just fine, but I'm wondering if there is a way I can find/view my email addresses I had in Outlook Express and websites I had stored in "favorites" on my old drive. I hope this makes sense. Your help, as always, is appreciated! Robin

Relevancy 80.41%

I am new to posting on the site and I have searched for this issue but come up blank Here is my problem I am attempting to recover data to Accessing hard drive data recover on a secure failing folders from Accessing secure folders to recover data on a failing hard drive a hard drive that is failing - no partition found I have been able to scan and mount the partition NTFS and I have recovered the public folders the issue is with the other two user folders I see they are write protected I am unable to remove the write protection or grant my self even read access to the folders I have mounted them as I said and made an image of the partition which is what I am working on but of course the two folders are not copying to the image as I do not have permission to access them The Drive is an Gig partitioned and formatted NTFS with Windows XP I have tried a rescue CD in the system with no luck and now I have the drive in a an external dock on a different system running Win I am using my Admin Acct This seems to be an issue like the Ransome ware infections where users lose access to their data any suggestions welcome and greatly appreciated Mike Ears Hopin P

A:Accessing secure folders to recover data on a failing hard drive

You sure it's not just a permission issue? Try How to take ownership of a file or a folder in Windows XP.  7 is pretty much the same. Just takes a lot more clicks.

Oh, and in the future, backup your data to a second physical disk or the cloud. This will avoid the inevitable.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/503184/accessing-secure-folders-to-recover-data-on-a-failing-hard-drive/
Relevancy 67.08%

For the last few weeks I have had some issues with my PC I built myself a couple of years ago. The main thing is that if I let my PC sit for 10-15 minutes, when I come back to log back in, my display gets huuuge to the lowest resolution, and I usually get a "parser error message saying "value creation failed at line 422 or line 903". What is all this? Also, the computer has been running a lot slower that it used to, Photoshop will freeze, defragging will leave half the drive still fragmented, so just a bunch of annoying problems that only a restart seems to fix. Please advise, thank you all.

Relevancy 67.08%

I have recently bought a brand new Western Digital Caviar Green TB hard drive and have had no end of trouble Faulty Is My New Drive Hard with it since the moment I installed it The initial problems were the hard drive which is being used as a slave not being detected by XP every time necessitating repeated re-boots until it showed up After that it started prompting a check disk on boot-up Is My New Hard Drive Faulty which on one occasion found problems with some file record segments and had to recover files The next check disk after that showed no bad sectors After that event my PC became unable to boot windows at all stopping on a black screen just before the desktop should have appeared necessitating more repeated re-boots until the PC started sometimes showing the new Is My New Hard Drive Faulty drive successfully and sometimes not I ran the Western Digital Lifeguard Diagnostic program and my hard drive passed After working fine for two days the hard drive started playing up again going through the previous antics but this time appearing in My Computer as a hard drive but no reported size Upon re-boot it would prompt a check disk then find a corrupt Master File table and then abort At this point my new hard drive is completely useless and inaccessible I tried using TestDisk to repair the problem but the back-up mirror file was also corrupt I have managed to salvage some files from it using the Zero Assumption Recovery program which took nearly hours to complete its scan and verification but the question still remains Is my new hard drive faulty I have no idea if this behaviour is indicative of a faulty hard drive or if it could be something else I ve never had any problems such as this in all the years I have owned computers My PC is running XP with SP and the motherboard is an Asus P P SE The new hard drive is being used as a slave drive for storing files and has no operating system on it Thanks in advance for any advice nbsp

Relevancy 67.08%

Hi I hope someone can help me out here I built my own pc a few weeks ago everything is fine UNTIL NOW - My main hard drive is a western digital caviar GB special edition MB cache and the computer boots from this problem is a couple of days ago when i press the buttons to start the computer everything fires up fine apart from the hard drive It seems to go really slow scratching louder than normal and seems to only scratch twice a second funny thing is it still boots but really really slowly Is this a faulty hard drive or a power start up Faulty????? hard drive my Is problem All i Is my hard drive Faulty????? do is switch on Is my hard drive Faulty????? at the mains then switch the pc on Last time it happened i let it startup then shut it down and started up again and it was fine This time i just pulled the plug and started again and it was fine Whats up with my poor hard drive I have it in a caddy fixed into one of the inch drive bays this caddy has two built in fans and one of them makes a noise when i first start it could this fan have something to do with it such as vibration or something Help Thanks Ade nbsp

Relevancy 67.08%

hi there, right basicaly i have a 40gb hdd which i store all my music on, one minute this drive was fine, the next i rebooted and the drive woudlnt work during post the comp picks up an ide drive on master, and even loads the drives name etc but the system just seems 2 hang then. any ideas what courses this? ive tried the drive in 3 other systems with exactly the same symptoms so i dont think its a hardware conflict. ive got a new hdd now but what i am keen to do is to access the drive and copy the files from it as there is approx 35gb of music on there

if you require anymore info ill try to provide it

thanks in advance, russ

A:Faulty Hard-Drive?

Put the drive in a freezer bag and chill it right down for an hour , then try again.

Sometimes works, and if it does then extract everything you can. It may be your only access chance.

If nothing else, you perhaps realise now that a HDD is only temporary storage, and must be backed up. They are cheaper these days but the quality and longevity has not improved.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/faulty-hard-drive.209812/
Relevancy 67.08%

Hello I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I'm running Drive Hard Faulty out of options I'm very lost as to how to contact hp support about my issue I went through the support page and searched my product Faulty Hard Drive and got to the 'Contact Options' Faulty Hard Drive page However there was no contact options available to me just a confirmation that my product is still under warranty until it's expiration date I opened a support case in a commercial product section I thought it was a personal product section for some reason and got an email back saying to ring customer support I rang the customer support number and followed through to the correct line which said that I need to open a customer support ticket before calling I'm not sure where to go from here I was using my laptop with a few programs open Disk was at when windows crashed No error message opened but windows Explorer start menu and taskbar were all unresponsive I restarted and the laptop was unable to boot windows I could reach the login lockscreen but once I entered my password it was stuck at a login loop I booted into safe mode to attempt to uninstall recently installed programs to see if that would fix the issue It would boot into the desktop however Windows Explorer was again unresponsive I tried window r to reach msconfig to configure a clean startup but that failed to load Task manager failed to open as well as the start menu I tried restarting a few times as well as removing the battery to drain the capacitors of electricity before booting up Same issues I then ran component tests all of which passed except for the Hard Drive short long DST check which failed Any help would be greatly appreciated

A:Faulty Hard Drive

I will ask a Moderator to escalate your issue. A failed hard disk is covered under warranty. You may be asked to provide the hardawre fail code that the test gave you. I hope you have your recovery media available. You will need the recovery media  to recover the notebook to its factory delivered state.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Faulty-Hard-Drive/td-p/5701435
Relevancy 67.08%

Ok, so the other day, my external hard drive fell to the ground and I could not get it to turn back on. I tried again yesterday with no success. I ordered a SATA hard drive enclosure thinking it was just the hardware in my external hard drive that was bad. Well I went and plugged it into a SATA enclosure and all I get is 5 beeps as if its trying but nothing ends up happening....is it possible that the hard drive itself is done??? I have tons and tons of stuff on there that I cannot lose...Any help would be great guys. Thanks!

A:HELP Faulty Hard drive??

It is possible that the fall damaged the hard drive read/write heads, the hardware that positions the heads, and/or possibly the disc surfaces as well. This is particularly true if the drive was powered up at the time of the fall.

If this is true, it will cost you big bucks to have a data recovery company take the drive apart and attempt to recover all or some of data from the the disc platters.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-faulty-hard-drive.1083365/
Relevancy 67.08%

Hi I ve a Fujitsu MHR AT hard drive in a Samsung P laptop it s re-badged as an RM Professional P but I don t think that should be relevant here The drive is very noisy but only intermittently This can happen when the laptop is being used or when it s just doing nothing On checking Task Manager I can t find anything running that would cause the drive to be accessed Ordinarily I d assume the drive was failing but I ve a couple of these drives I recently bought a replacement an used one off Ebay and that was no better The seller was very apologetic and immediately sent me a replacement which guess what was pretty much the same This was cheap so not even worth sending back Now I find it hard to believe though it s still possible that all four are duff drives So I went looking for some disc diagnostic software on the net I tried a couple including SeaTools for Windows but the only one that ran properly was DiscCheckup from PassMark I ve been using that running short and extended self tests but it doesn t highlight any problems I m intrigued that the disc apparently runs when I wouldn t be expecting it to be doing anything Device Manager tells me its using a Microsoft driver dated Would a Fujitsu driver help I ve tried to update but couldn t find anything newer Anyone any ideas apart from throw all the drives away nbsp hard drive(s) Faulty

Relevancy 67.08%

Hi, i've recently bought a seagate momentus 7200.3 from ebay and when i try to copy my hard drive to it using norton ghost, i'm getting the error EC8F17B3.

"Cannot complete copying of (C:\) drive. Error EC8F0409: Cannot copy source drive to destination location. Warning A7C30019: The type of errors encountered indicate that this hard disk drive is about to fail. It is recommended that this drive be replaced soon. To ignore this error and backup this drive, select "Ignore bad sectors during copy" from the advanced options in the Drive Backup Wizard. Error E7C3000F: Device \\?\SymantecSnapshot0 cannot read 12288 sectors starting at LBA 174724072. Error EBAB03F1: Data error (cyclic redundancy check).
Details: 0xA7C30019"

Just wondering what this means and if theres anyway around it? Problem with the drive maybe? Also i've been running the copy and selecting "Ignore bad sectors during copy".

Regards, Dave.

A:Faulty hard drive?

Sounds like a bad drive.

Free Hard Drive Testing Applications:

Manufacturer's Tests
Victoria for DOS
Victoria for Windows (Both versions of Victoria are among the best and most thorough tests available.)
HD Tune
CheckDisk 1.03 (Marks bad sectors as unusable.)
HDAT2 (Diagnostics and bad sector recovery)
MHDD Low-level Diagnostics
Bootable Hitachi Drive Fitness Test Floppy or CD Image (works on most drives)

Hard Drive Manufacturers' Diagnostic Utilities Links:

TachTech
BleepingComputer

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/faulty-hard-drive.809735/
Relevancy 67.08%

If someone can help me that would be great. Yesterday a work computer only had two applications running and it completely froze up. When we restarted the computer the following message appeared:

"windows could not start because of an error in hte software, please report this problem as: load needed DLL's for Kernel"

We tried repairing Windows XP and then reformatting the system. Nothing seemed to be working. Dell is telling us that we need a new hard drive. The computer is only a year old. Does this make sense or does anyone have a suggestion on how to try and repair?

Thanks,
Kristy

A:Faulty Hard Drive??

From the hard drive's manufacturer's web site, download and run the diagnostic tool.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/faulty-hard-drive.228972/
Relevancy 66.65%

Hello, Ive just put a second hard-drive in my pc for storage. It works fine apart from it keeps dissapearing from My Computer & I have to reboot to get it to appear in the drive list.
Also Ive tried to find it in disc management & disc management wont load & just gives me this error 'Unable to connect to logical disc manager service' and 'the dependancy service or group faled to start'

Also compmanagement keeps freezing up when I ask to look at removeable storage.

Ive looked in the event log & about an hour ago I had this log ' An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation.'

Do you think the hard drive may be faulty?

Relevancy 66.22%

Hey everyone So I recently picked up this external hard drive from a friend who Hard Drive, no access. Ext. Faulty was having some issues with it From his first description I thought Faulty Ext. Hard Drive, no access. I would be able to solve it myself but it turns out the problem is way more complex and unknown to me than I had thought Here's what's up -The Hard drive is a standard external one connected to the PC via a standard USB cable One regular USB connector on the PC side and a small one I believe they are refered to as 'mini-USB Type B' on the drive's side -When connected to the PC it shows up like an internal hard drive strangely not with the external devices -It cannot be browsed or accessed in any other way the windows explorer will either load -extremely- slowly without success OR freeze OR simply say it cannot be accessed -The furthest I got in terms of interacting with it was to uninstall and reinstall it via disk manager -All other attempts fail formatting is impossible as a right click leads to the problems described in point I tried to format after uninstalling installing the drive since a message came up telling me to do so eventhough I was planning to do it anyway -The drive brand is completely unknown to me it was purchased in Hong Kong and bears the label 'Buffalo' Any feedback or ideas on this topic are more than welcome Thanks in advance amp looking forward to some help Pluffi

A:Faulty Ext. Hard Drive, no access.

Hi,

Are you able to access this drive from the command prompt? If so, try a chkdsk /R on it and lets see if that improves access.

Regards,
Golden

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/200412-faulty-ext-hard-drive-no-access.html
Relevancy 66.22%

Windows boots and works fine except for a few occasional blue screens and freezes. But I went to go check out my hard drive today and I noticed a few scorch marks on the chip on the underside. It was on the middle and on the grey metal piece. It was brown a bit. I'm wondering if this may cause problems. I have tried running seatools and it came up with 0 errors.

A:Is my hard drive faulty/broken?

Do you have any idea how long the scorch marks have been there?

In particular, have they been there longer than you have had blue screens?

If the drive passes all Seatools tests and behaves OK in operation, it's difficult to make a case for it being defective.

Have you run a benchmark on the drive?

Barring more info, I'd assume the blue screens and freezes are unrelated.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/241751-my-hard-drive-faulty-broken.html
Relevancy 66.22%

Hello guys,

When I plug in my 80GB External HD USB drive it turns all other devices off etc and doesn't work. Is it faultly?

A:Is my External hard-drive faulty?

What other devices are turned off?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/264751-my-external-hard-drive-faulty.html
Relevancy 66.22%

Hello I built my PC about two years ago and it runs pretty well I turn it suck drive? Hard does just Faulty really Or XP off a few times a Faulty Hard drive? Or does XP just really suck week and use it every day But recently I have been having problems I turned off my computer before I went to work Came home and turned the computer on When I entered my login password I got some quot Domain could not be found quot error and it took me back to the login page I tried to find a fix for this but was unable to so I gave up I installed a new copy of XP on a different partion of my hard drive I split my hard drive up into two different partions when I built it for an installation of linux which I never got round to installing I ve been using this new copy of windows for about a week but a few days ago I Faulty Hard drive? Or does XP just really suck have been having troubles again I turn on my computer and it comes to the quot select an operating system quot screen If I choose the OS that I was using previously I get to the log in screen and it just tells me that it could not conect to the remote host which is expected since I haven t tried to fix it again since If I choose the NEW OS that I recently installed and press enter then the screen goes dark and then nothing happens I have on several ocassions left it on this screen for a long time without any kind of change But the strange thing is the computer is still on and its being all noisy and computery in terms of how it sounds So my question is Do I have a faulty hard drive By the way I forgot to mention that my computer ever since a few days before the first installation of windows became useless I had been getting the occasional message when I started the computer saying that quot one of my disks needs to be checked for consistency quot After which it would goe through all of this quot checking files quot quot recovering orphaned files quot and quot checking security descriptors quot crap Must I replace the Hard drive nbsp

A:Faulty Hard drive? Or does XP just really suck

You can run diagnostics on the drive to rule out failure:

Depending on the brand:

Samsung http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/support/utilities/Support_HUTIL.html
Seagate/Maxtor/Quantum http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools/
Western Digital http://support.wdc.com/download/
IBM/Hitachi http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm#DFT
fujitsu/Seimens http://www.fcpa.fujitsu.com/download/hard-drives/#diagnostic
IBM/Hitachi http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm#DFT

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/faulty-hard-drive-or-does-xp-just-really-suck.741883/
Relevancy 65.79%

My Lacie portable hard drive suddenly stopped working, making a whirring noise and then stopping but not being recognised by the pc anymore. Bought a Sumvision Egen SATA USB enclosure as advised but this doesnt seem to work either. Computer recognises the enclosure but when attached to old SATA drive it no longer recognises it. Is the next step data recovery or are there are any suggestions? I am working on Vista

A:Issues accessing data on Lacie Drive

Sounds like the drive has died, if so software data recovery will not work, you might have to ship it to a professional data recovery house, not cheap at all.

Does it spin up when connected to the enclosure?

Have you connected it directly to a motherboard in a PC?

Some sata II drives have a jumper setting to limit the speed to 1.5gb/s, you might try this setting if it has it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/issues-accessing-data-on-lacie-drive.868796/
Relevancy 65.36%
A:Dell Warranty - Faulty Hard Drive

Good question!

First, what brand is the hard drive? Just about every manufacturer has their own diagnostic software. Go to their site and download it, and test the hard drive yourself.

Then, if you feel you should still send it in, wipe it clean first, using tools such as Eraser.

Hope this helps,
~Jonathan

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/57490-dell-warranty-faulty-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 65.36%

I had purchased a Seagate SATA GB some months back It died within months It was in warranty so i got a replacement The replacement HD looked brand Hard Solved: New Drive: Faulty? Sata new and packed in an antistatic bag Today i took out the hard drive and connected it to my PC On starting the PC it started to give a strange spinning noise and i could hear faint clicks I checked in the BIOS It took sometime before i could Solved: New Sata Hard Drive: Faulty? get into the BIOS the red HD led was on constantly like it happens with a bad HD After a delay i got into BIOS but the HD was not detected in the BIOS I checked the connections and tried again Again not detected in Solved: New Sata Hard Drive: Faulty? BIOS I had two SATA power connectors and SATA cables I tried all of them Same result I could hear faint clicking and BIOS didnt detect the HD I have SATA ports I started to change ports Two ports didnt work Then on rd port I was able to get into BIOS without any delay and without the constant HD led glowing And there was no clicking sound and the HD was detected in the BIOS I shut down checked again It was detected again Then i did diagnostic check on the HD with the seagate tools CD It passed both the short and long tests When i did the acoustic test two times both the time drive spins and it makes a faint click at the last Now am confused should i keep this HD or should i take it for replacement again I could hear faint clicking first and no detection of the drive when i tried earlier few times But after that the HD was detected and ran fine without any clicks and it even passed the tests Is the HD faulty nbsp

Relevancy 65.36%

Hey A few months back I built myself a new PC and everything was working great for a month or so no problems at all However for the past few weeks I have been having trouble with I assume my hard drive hard faulty drive? failures, Boot and getting it to boot my OS Boot failures, faulty hard drive? Win x Heres what happens I power up my PC and it goes through the quot Asus Express Gate quot and other quot BIOS stuff quot - I notice that my HDD doesnt appear in the Sata device list on the next screen it says quot Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key quot So I restart and hit Delete to check my Boot Devices in the BIOS My Samsung HDD does not appear anywhere as if it was disconnected I open up the case to check the SATA and Power connectors which are all seated firmly in their sockets The first time this happened I quot solved quot the problem by plugging the Boot failures, faulty hard drive? HDD into a different SATA port on my MB It booted up Windows fine for a couple of days but then the same thing happened again and again I tried a different SATA port with the same results I have been having this problem for around months now and recently when I have tried reseating the SATA connector Boot failures, faulty hard drive? in a different port and rebooting it is not working right away and I have to try multiple ports with much rebooting in order to get it to work I have tried using the hard drives from my old PC which work fine and I was able to boot up Win XP I checked all my drivers were up to date - which they were So I was wondering whether any of you wonderful peoples had any ideas about what may be causing this problem and any suggestions on how to fix it I suspect that I have a faulty hard drive but I d like to try whatever I can before returning it Thank you for reading any suggestions will be much appreciated Jimmy nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/boot-failures-faulty-hard-drive.971168/
Relevancy 65.36%

Hi I ve just updated my Win XP PC to Vista All was going well with the installation full clean install until I came to choose which drive to load Vista onto My C drive had a yellow warning triangle next to it and I was informed my hard drive was about to fail Thinking this could be a glitch I chose to install Vista anyway All was going well until a few hours later Vista informed me that the HD was failing and Drive as Vista Hard Faulty!!! Reports I should backup my data This message repeated several times over the next couple of hours Vista Reports Hard Drive as Faulty!!! and eventually I got an option to disable it which I did Now the HD was brand new in Dec and I had no problems what so ever in XP apart from maybe a slow transfer rate a few times when I backed up large quantities of data to my Gb external drive So is this just a software glitch Or should I RMA the drive My System consists of CPU Intel Core Duo E MB Gigabyte GA P-S i P RAM x Gb PC PSU Akasa W GPU GTO Mb HD Gb Samsung SP C SpinPoint P Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 65.36%

I saw the following post relating to a batch of faulty hard drives and was wondering whether anyone nbsp is able to confirm nbsp the Drive Validity of Posting Faulty Hard validity of this issue nbsp https m reddit com r sysadmin comments x h f hgst Validity of Faulty Hard Drive Posting gb drive failures ref search posts nbsp Validity of Faulty Hard Drive Posting I purchased a Lenovo L a few years ago and have had endless problems with the machine Every - weeks it just wont boot up and I have to reinstall the OS I had taken it in for repairs indicating that I suspected the hard drive as the root cause of my problem but the drive was never replaced Needless to say the problems have never been resolved so I was very nbsp interested when I came across the aforementioned posting indicating that the nbsp problem was due to faulty hard disks installed in a large batch of machines manufactured around th April the same time as my L was manufactured nbsp nbsp If there is any truth to this posting I really feel I've been taken for a ride as the HDD should have been replaced whilst still under warranty when I initially took the machine in for repairs

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-L-R-and-SL-series/Validity-of-Faulty-Hard-Drive-Posting/td-p/3350537
Relevancy 65.36%

My sister dropped my laptop and I am worried I may have a faulty hard drive.

Is there any good tool out there which can thoroughly check my Hard Drive for ANY error at all?

Thanks

A:Dropped my Laptop may have faulty Hard Drive

Use something like SeaTools to check condition of HDD, link to download here

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/148578-dropped-my-laptop-may-have-faulty-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 65.36%

Hi all,

I have exactly the same problem with my sons Sony Vaio laptop as the member in thread:

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista/909494-my-laptop-says-has-no-2.html

The Hard drive is a Seagate ST9160821AS but having looked on the net it would appear this model is not made anymore.

Does anyone know of a different model HDD that I could purchase that would be compatible with this laptop.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Phil.

Relevancy 65.36%

Last year i built a computer with an intel DG tl motherboard quad core q processor and seagate barracuda hard drive From the Solved: Motherboard Hard or Drive Faulty beginning Vista seemed to be having alot of problems but didnt think anything of it cause well its vista The problems were windows explorer stopped working this happened alot alot So recently ive been having problems with booting up it freezes before windows can reach the log in stage Sometimes if i let it sit a few days and replug Solved: Faulty Motherboard or Hard Drive in the SATA it will load up but eventually crashes It does alot of memory dumping too And i have changed the SATA cable ive tried that already So my question is do you think Solved: Faulty Motherboard or Hard Drive it is the motherboard or the Hard drive Ive already ruled out vista i really doubt its that My assumtion is that it is the motherboard i did some research and found out other people had problems with the board too If there is any questions that will help narrow down the possibility of whats wrong feel free to ask Thank you nbsp

Relevancy 64.93%

Hi About a month ago I posted a problem I was hard drive...or Dead enclosure? faulty external having with my very old Dell Dimension giving me an FDC failure error instead of booting up I tried every recommended solution multiple times before finally giving up and deciding to just get a new computer rather than throw good money after bad Dead hard drive...or faulty external enclosure? I bought a new Dell Inspiron s from Dell Outlet thanks for the rec Compaq which I received earlier this week My plan was to take out the Dead hard drive...or faulty external enclosure? old hard drive and use it as a secondary drive on the new one until I discovered that wouldn t be possible because the Inspiron isn t compatible with PATA Eh no problem I ll just turn it into an external drive instead So I bought an Acomdata external enclosure followed the installation instructions carefully and connected the external hard drive to the new desktop through the USB port The computer won t recognize the drive I tried it on my laptop and had the same problem not recognized and not listed in the device manager The LED on the enclosure lights up but the drive isn t spinning or powering up at all Could it be that my hard drive is actually dead when all along I thought my motherboard was fried Is there any way I can recover the data on the drive nbsp

Relevancy 64.93%

Have viewed the prior fixes for this error however unable to shrink or move files due to a faulty hard drive. Any suggestions??? Outlook is not responding and I need HELP as I am trying to back up prior to installing the new hard drive!!! It is noted the restore points (both auto and manual) do not appear so I'm also unable to restore to a prior point when everything was working. Also need clarification (more simple instructions) on how to query for the defective cluster(s) to see if I may be able to fix or somehow get around my hard drive problem.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/outlook-pst-error-0x8007045d-faulty-hard-drive.918357/
Relevancy 64.93%

Ok here's my situation. I have a computer that will not boot up. So I want to check the hard drive on it to see if it is the hard drive that is kaput. I have another computer. However the working computer is using an SATA cable with it's hard drive. There is however an open place to put in a 40 pin ribbon cable. Can I just take the ribbon cable out of the faulty computer and plug it into the motherboard on the working computer. Or will this cause problems? All I want to do is see if the faulty computer's have drive is junk or not.Thanks.

A:Testing out a HARD DRIVE from a faulty computer to see if it works or not.

Make sure the old cable is an 80 wire 40 pin. The empty controller in the newer computer may also need to be turned on in the bios.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/testing-out-a-hard-drive-from-a-faulty-computer-to-see-if-it-works-or-not.429873/
Relevancy 64.07%

I have a TB HD external cause enclosure Could drive hard Solved: to click? faulty Seagate SATA HD that s about a yr old I bought an iMicro external enclosure for it and I use it for backup storage So it s turned off most of the time Over the last couple weeks I ve been having problems getting the drive to connect to the computer when I turn it on it s connected via USB The drive clicks whirs and speeds up and slows down as it tries to connect Sometimes I have to turn it off and on again to get it to go So is Solved: Could faulty external hard drive enclosure cause HD to click? the drive really bad I thought I d be in good shape w a Seagate drive when I bought it last yr but recently I heard that they were bought out and their drives aren t that good anymore Or could it be the external enclosure Like if it wasn t supplying good power to the drive would that make the drive act like that I recently got a new MSI mobo that has SATA ports but my boot drive is IDE If I tried to hook up the Seagate drive to a SATA port for testing purposes ie that would eliminate the external enclosure from the scenario would that interfere w the IDE drive nbsp

A:Solved: Could faulty external hard drive enclosure cause HD to click?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-could-faulty-external-hard-drive-enclosure-cause-hd-to-click.880304/
Relevancy 64.07%

I have a failing 1TB HD that I want to replace with a SSD 250-500GB HD. Do I need a 1TB HD replacement to use recovery disk? The only programs/apps are MS Office and printer software, so I know there is enough space. Thanks, Paul.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Recovery-disk-install-when-replacing-faulty-hard-drive-with/td-p/5758160
Relevancy 63.21%

Hello Everyone Thank you for taking time to read my post hard-drive) faulty sure (pretty A a Occurred it's Disk Error not Read Here is my issue in as concise of terms as A Disk Read Error Occurred (pretty sure it's not a faulty hard-drive) possible Computer is a Sony Vaio VGC-RC G not sure about motherboard About weeks ago computer starts refusing to boot giving errors that make me think the hard drive is bad Computer will still occasionally boot after - tries I bought a new hard drive and tried to create an image of the old drive onto the new using Clonezilla the process gave a few errors The computer flatly refused to boot from the new drive gave disk read errors However when I could boot using the old drive I could get in and explore the image of the new drive and the image copy process seemed to have worked okay As part of the disk image copy process my new drive had partitions and about megs of free space The two partitions were the main windows partition from the old drive and the recovery partition I combined all partitions and formatted the new drive using Gparted because I thought that the disk image copy probably just recreated errors in the old drive onto the new After the format my computer then consistently refused to boot from either drive in the past I could boot to the old drive after a couple of tries The error was usually quot a disk read error occurred' or quot BOOTMGR is missing quot Attempts to install windows using windows install DVD failed because computer couldn't write to the new hard drive Both hard drives would usually appear in bios when I entered into it I know at least one time where neither appeared in the bios although sometimes computer would fail allow me to edit bios altogether I attached the new hard drive to a DIFFERENT COMPUTER and installed a clean version of windows Ultimate x to the new drive The DIFFERENT COMPUTER boots just fine from the new hard drive But when I move the new hard drive to back to the old computer I consistently now get quot a disk read error occurred quot error I don't believe it is a SATA cable issue because power to drive seems to be fine and I had to use the SATA cable from the old computer when hooking the drive up to the DIFFERENT COMPUTER and it worked fine Also Gparted recognizes the drive just fine and has no problems formatting partitions etc so there is communication happening through the SATA cable and the power cable is powering adequately TL DR summary New hard drive works fine with new computer but old computer when connected to same new hard drive gives me a quot disk read error occurred quot Based on the evidence I don't think it's a faulty drive issue I'm also skeptical that it's a cable issue but haven't ruled out this possibility What should I do next in terms of identifying the problem I've currently exhausted my admittedly limited hardware troubleshooting expertise Thanks again for helping me work on this I appreciate it Love wackydavo P S Edited for clarity typos punctuation etc

A:A Disk Read Error Occurred (pretty sure it's not a faulty hard-drive)

It is a Sony laptop, not really serviceable except by them, I did find this on Sony's site. You could try resetting the bios.
Sony eSupport - VGC-RC110G - Support

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/267487-disk-read-error-occurred-pretty-sure-its-not-faulty-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 63.21%

Hello all I made a post regarding the performance failing of one of my supply power affect hard performance? drive/computer Faulty hard drives The conclusion we came to has unfortunately not resolved my problem and I am beginning to think my Power Supply may be the culprit Faulty power supply affect hard drive/computer performance? ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Before I go into details here is my current Hardware Q GHZ GIGABYTE EP -DS R GB PC mhz x gb x gb Nvidia GTX mb requires x pin power adapters Asus Xonar soundcard requires floppy power adapters Windows x Jeantech W PSU modular PSU PCI-E nodes and nodes for other devices gb HDD operating system tb HDD data tb HDD data tb HDD data - added recently ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ My original problem in brief Upon accessing certain files in one of my TB drives I hear a distictive quot click lockup halt quot sound and then the entire system crashes first the drive will become inaccessible then windows explorer will crash followed by the mouse and eventually a BSOD after a minute ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I bought a new TB a month ago to replace what then I thought was a failing TB drive Since the problems have become quot random quot and happen across all four drives tb tb gb tb I am now considering my PSU the culprit Jeantech Absolute w It seems logical to me Sometimes while performing tasks which put stress on several HDD s at the same time my computer is quot choking quot running as fast smooth as it should but with sudden freezes with those HDD quot click - stop - restart quot sounds Booting into windows is failing from time to time freezes on the quot starting windows quot screen or DISK BOOT FAILURE Insert system disk The PSU is modular - could certain quot plugs quot in my PSU are faulty I haven t tested this extensively but in some cases when the computer is not starting up at all using different power ribbon cable combinations seems to help Also I had to remove my DVD drive completely when I first installed the new TB I bought and I don t think my computer will start at all with it plugged in anymore so my PSU MUST be having a hard time coping with all the components If it is of any relevance I use an Nvidia GTX which requires x PCI-E pin power connections hard drives power is supplied via THREE modular ribbon power cables - two HDD s share power from the same ribbon cable lastly worth noting I use an asus Xonar sound card requires floppy power connector several symptoms suggest the PSU any thoughts nbsp

A:Faulty power supply affect hard drive/computer performance?

a 1000Watt shouldn't have any problem coping with the components that you have, i would recommend that u borrow a power supply from a friend and try it out on your computer, maybe the power supply is old and is not supplying proper voltages on all the rails....

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/faulty-power-supply-affect-hard-drive-computer-performance.160966/
Relevancy 62.35%

MY DESKTOP COMPUTER'S MOTHERBOARD DIED,i NOW HAVE A LAPTOP I WOULD LIKE TO BE ABLE TO ACCESS THE HARD DRIVE ON THE DEAD COMPUTER IN ORDER TO COPY FILES OR EVEN USE IT FOR EXTRA STORAGE. CAN THIS BE DONE? THE DEAD COMPUTER HAS WINDOWS XP,THE LAPTOP HAS WINDOWS 7.THE DESKTOP IS A DELL,THE LAPTOP ACER.

Relevancy 62.35%

My son installed a slave hard drive on my Compaq Presario running Windows XP professional. The original hard drive was 111.78 gbs and the new one 250 gbs. When I do a cold boot of the computer, the second drive is not recognized (either in "My Computer" or the shortcut on the desktop.) Usually, but not always, the second drive shows up in "My Computer" and the shortcut, when I reboot. I'd like to use the drive for storage but am reluctant to put anything on it that I value very much, as I'm not sure I'll be able to access the drive again. Any suggestions for fixing this problem?

A:Accessing second hard drive

First thing I'd do is double check all the power and data connections. Maybe even try a new 80 wire IDe cable. Check the jumpers on the back of each drive as well.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/accessing-second-hard-drive.466256/
Relevancy 62.35%

and I don't know why It's driving me crazy because my pc has come to a grinding halt It's almost as if I tried launching programs at once Here are my specs P not dual core GHz MB of Ram Windows XP Pro Service Pack with a DVD ROM player The specs under my username are drive accessing Hard keeps something..... for my pc at home the one I need help with is my pc at work I suspect it's Hard drive keeps accessing something..... my memory I know it's very low and I'm planning on upgrading it to GB soon but in the meantime how do I figure out why my hard drive is always reading I opened up Windows Task Manager to see what's running but can't really understand much from that Is it possible my HD is dying My pc is approx years old but I take care of it Hard drive keeps accessing something..... defragging updating anti-virus spyware etc and have lots of programs which tune up and fix many problems Advanced System Pro Tune Up Utilities These programs have supposedly fixed alot of problems but my hard drive accesses even when I'm not using my computer I even disabled my anti-virus AVG and I have nothing running in my system tray In fact the only icon there is the volume control I ran numerous tests including virus spyware and had Advanced System Pro fix a whole bunch of things like registry memory etc AVG has found nothing infected and neither has Spybot So why is my hard drive constantly working I'm hoping that it's not my HD going on me Could it be windows' file-swapping Please any suggestions or help is much needed

A:Hard drive keeps accessing something.....

Boot into Safe Mode with Networking download and install CCleaner, delete temp files. Then download www.malwarebytes.org. If malwarebytes doesn't find anything then go to the Task Manager/Processes when your computer slows down, and see what program is using the most memory usage. Also go to Event Viewer and see if any System or Applications have a red X error next to them.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/hard-drive-keeps-accessing-something-386137.html
Relevancy 62.35%

hai,

i am using windows 7 64 bit version last night i installed magix pc check & tuning 2012.after i run the pc check then i select the fix all problems . today i open my computer and i accessing c drive and d drive there showing you have may not appropriate permission message showing. What can i do Plz help me thanks.

Plz check the screen shot.

A:Hard drive can not accessing

Quote: Originally Posted by thribhureddi

hai,

i am using windows 7 64 bit version last night i installed magix pc check & tuning 2012.after i run the pc check then i select the fix all problems . today i open my computer and i accessing c drive and d drive there showing you have may not appropriate permission message showing. What can i do Plz help me thanks.

Plz check the screen shot.

Welcome to 7 forums.

Do you get the permission message for both C and D drives or for folders in the drives ??

The screenshot is not there.

PS.
Please update your System Specs in the User CP.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/210862-hard-drive-can-not-accessing.html
Relevancy 62.35%

I have a notebook that bit the dust because of motherboard issues. It had win 7 on it. I took the hard drive out and have connected it to my older notebook a P4 - via a usb enclosure, that has win xp on it. When I look in the control panel, I see that the notebook is recognizing the usb hard drive but in my computer I cannot see it. What is going on? Not sure if this is a win 7 question, a win xp question or a hardware question - sorry if it is misposted. The hard drive in the usb enclosure has been partitioned to c: d: and e:

A:Accessing a hard drive with win 7 using win xp

I moved your thread from Windows 7 to XP since your current OS is XP. Perhaps it's a hardware issue.

What is it in the control panel that indicates the notebook is recognizing the USB hard drive?

I'm guessing that c:, d: and e: were the drive letters assigned to the partition when you booted to Windows 7. Almost guaranteed that different drive letters will be assigned whenever you mount the disk on another Windows system.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/accessing-a-hard-drive-with-win-7-using-win-xp.981728/
Relevancy 62.35%

Hello all,

my old computer stopped working (some problem with the board) and I had to get a new one. I extracted the hard drive from it, a Seagate Momentus 5400.2, 120 GB drive, model ST9120821A. Is there a way to access that hard drive from my new computer? Do I need a cable or any other devise? Thanks a lot for your help... I know very little about computers and any help will be appreciated!

A:Accessing a Hard Drive?

3 ways

1. Mount the hard drive as secondary in the new PC if it has an IDE connector on the motherboard. Most newer PC's do not.

2. Install the drive into an external USB hard drive enclosure

3. Use one of these. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812189169

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/accessing-a-hard-drive.810345/
Relevancy 62.35%

Hi There,

Hoping to get some expert help. The problem is - is that upon start-up of windows my computer hard drive continually accesses itself constantly. I've tried killing things and seeing what is taking ram/CPU usage but don't see anything out of ordinary.

I do not have access to a XP boot CD.

Thanks
Chris

A:Hard Drive Keeps Accessing - Please Help

DDS (Ver_2011-06-12.02) - NTFSx86
Internet Explorer: 7.0.5730.13 BrowserJavaVersion: 1.6.0_25
Run by kng at 10:19:16 on 2011-06-22
Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600.3.1252.1.1033.18.3510.2331 [GMT -7:00]
AV: Lavasoft Ad-Watch Live! Anti-Virus *Enabled/Updated* {A1C4F2E0-7FDE-4917-AFAE-013EFC3EDE33}
AV: McAfee VirusScan Enterprise *Enabled/Updated* {918A2B0B-2C60-4016-A4AB-E868DEABF7F0}
============== Running Processes ===============
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost -k DcomLaunch
svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
c:\drivers\audio\stacsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Broadcom Corporation\Broadcom USH Host Components\CV\bin\HostControlService.exe
C:\Program Files\Broadcom Corporation\Broadcom USH Host Components\CV\bin\HostStorageService.exe
svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\Endpoint Encryption for PC\SbClientManager.exe
C:\Program Files\Altiris\Altiris Agent\aexnsagent.exe
C:\Program Files\Cisco Systems\VPN Client\cvpnd.exe
C:\Program Files\STMicroelectronics\AccelerometerP11\InstallFilterService.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\EngineServer.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\Common Framework\FrameworkService.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\VsTskMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\mdm.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\mfevtps.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k HPZ12
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k HPZ12
C:\Program Files\ScriptLogic\Desktop Authority\Client Files\8.08004.63486\SLClient.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k imgsvc
C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\Mcshield.exe
C:\Program Files\ScriptLogic\Desktop Authority\Client Files\8.08004.63486\CBM\ScriptLogic.CBM.Agent.exe
C:\Program Files\Altiris\Dagent\dagent.exe
C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\bin\btwdins.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\New Boundary\PrismXL\PrismXL.sys
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\SCRIPT~1\DESKTO~1\CLIENT~1\808004~1.634\SLAgent.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWTray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Altiris\Dagent\dagentui.exe
C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD DX\PDVDDXSrv.exe
C:\Program Files\ScriptLogic\Desktop Authority\Client Files\8.08004.63486\CBM\ScriptLogic.CBM.UserExperience.exe
C:\Program Files\NXPowerLite\loadnxploeaddin.exe
C:\Program Files\IDT\WDM\sttray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\AESTFltr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\Common Framework\udaterui.exe
C:\Program Files\Altiris\Altiris Agent\AeXAgentUIHost.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\Common Framework\McTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Communicator\communicator.exe
C:\Program Files\SafeBoot Tray Manager\SbTrayManager.exe
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\BTTray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskmgr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\WIDCOMM\BLUETO~1\BTSTAC~1.EXE
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\OUTLOOK.EXE
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugin-container.exe
============== Pseudo HJT Report ===============
uStart Page = about:blank
uInternet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = hxxp://adobe.com/downloads
BHO: SnagIt Toolbar Loader: {00c6482d-c502-44c8-8409-fce54ad9c208} - c:\program files\techsmith\snagit 10\SnagitBHO.dll
BHO: Adobe PDF Link Helper: {18df081c-e8ad-4283-a596-fa578c2ebdc3} - c:\program files\common files\adobe\acrobat\activex\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection: {53707962-6f74-2d53-2644-206d7942484f} - c:\progra~1\spybot~1\SDHelper.dll
BHO: scriptproxy: {7db2d5a0-7241-4e79-b68d-6309f01c5231} - c:\program files\mcafee\virusscan enterprise\scriptsn.dll
BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper: {dbc80044-a445-435b-bc74-9c25c1c588a9} ... Read more

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f50/hard-drive-keeps-accessing-please-help-582409.html
Relevancy 61.92%

hi i have a scSi disk GB i [Hard header sql recovery] data Drive / extractors data lost information from it and tried to recover with other recovery softwares to no avail finally i got winhex amp got the professional licence i can now data extractors / sql header [Hard Drive data recovery] be able to see all the information on the whole NTFS partition but the problem is that i data extractors / sql header [Hard Drive data recovery] can t be able to recover it when ever i open the logical drive i can see all the information and most of the information is stack up in a quot free space quot which is around gb which i can be able to see has all the information that i need i have tried to recover the free space but its only copied to the location that i specify and no recoveries are made recovering the files by type name has bore no fruits a freind told me i have to curve out that area and use data extractors to get the information out of that area freee space the information in that drive are sql data bases and zip files whats the header for sql what techniques do i use to curve out that space and be abele to extract the information for i can even read the information in text format which are the data extractors available in the market kindly assist its quite urgent i get this information out nbsp

A:data extractors / sql header [Hard Drive data recovery]

I don't know where this thread properly belongs -- but I suspect the question may be too esoteric for most here.

Since it involves data recovery from a hard drive I'm going to move it to Hardware, I think "all other software" is not likely to have anyone with this type of experience.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/data-extractors-sql-header-hard-drive-data-recovery.438131/
Relevancy 61.49%

Hey everyone.

I have a problem. Basically my computer has 2 hard-drives, the HDD I'm currently using has Windows 7 (which I only recently got), the other has Windows XP installed on it, which has loads of files and stuff left on it. Now my problem is, I can access my old hard-drive from this one, however everytime I try to open a folder or anything I have to manually set permissions for just that one folder/file. Now I have a huge amount of files and folders on there, so it would take my weeks to manually set permissions for all of it. I also cannot copy and paste the folders/files from my old HDD to my new one.

My question is essentially is there an easy way to set permission that will affect ALL the folders and files in my old HDD?

Thanks for your time. Any help is appreciated.

A:Accessing files on old Hard-Drive.

Go to the Documents and Settings folder on the XP drive (from within Windows 7)
Right click on the Documents and Settings folder and select Properties
Then select the Security tab
Then select the Advanced button
Then select the Owner tab
Then select the Edit button

Change the owner to you
THEN place a checkmark in the "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" box. Let it run until done.
Then click Apply, then click OK repeatedly to exit the dialog

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/accessing-files-on-old-hard-drive-525421.html
Relevancy 61.49%

Here's my hijack this log I can't pin down what's constantly accessing the hard drive I did defrag it Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode NormalRunning processes C WINDOWS Hard drive accessing constantly System smss exeC WINDOWS system winlogon exeC WINDOWS system services Hard drive constantly accessing exeC WINDOWS system lsass exeC WINDOWS system Ati evxx exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC WINDOWS system brsvc a exeC WINDOWS system spoolsv exeC WINDOWS system brss a exeC Program Files Common Files LogiShrd LVMVFM LVPrcSrv exeC WINDOWS system Brmfrmps exeC WINDOWS system CTsvcCDA EXEC WINDOWS eHome ehRecvr exeC WINDOWS eHome ehSched exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC Program Files Common Files LogiShrd LVCOMSER LVComSer exeC WINDOWS system srvany exeC pvsw bin w dbsmgr exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC WINDOWS system dllhost exeC WINDOWS system Ati evxx exeC WINDOWS Explorer EXEC Program Files Common Files LogiShrd LVCOMSER LVComSer exeC Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exeC WINDOWS system wuauclt exeC WINDOWS RTHDCPL EXEC Program Files Digital Media Reader readericon G exeC Program Files ScanSoft PaperPort pptd nt exeC Program Files Brother ControlCenter brctrcen exeC Program Files BillP Studios WinPatrol winpatrol exeC Program Files Creative MediaSource Detector CTDetect exeC WINDOWS system ctfmon exeC Documents and Settings Owner Desktop HiJackThis exeR - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Window Title Windows Internet Explorer provided by ComcastR - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyServer R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride localO - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dllO - Toolbar Easy Gif Animator Toolbar - - - A -B -FC E - C Program Files Easy Gif Animator Extension v EasyGifAnimator Toolbar dll file missing O - Toolbar Yahoo Toolbar - EF BD -C FB- D - F- D F - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn yt dll file missing O - HKLM Run RTHDCPL RTHDCPL EXEO - HKLM Run readericon C Program Files Digital Media Reader readericon G exeO - HKLM Run PaperPort PTD C Program Files ScanSoft PaperPort pptd nt exeO - HKLM Run ControlCenter C Program Files Brother ControlCenter brctrcen exe autorunO - HKLM Run Alcmtr ALCMTR EXEO - HKLM Run WinPatrol C Program Files BillP Studios WinPatrol winpatrol exe -expressbootO - HKLM RunOnce OOBEDDDemise cmd x c erase C WINDOWS System oobe msoobe exeO - HKCU Run Creative Detector C Program Files Creative MediaSource Detector CTDetect exe RO - HKCU Run ctfmon exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exeO - HKCU RunOnce CheckNetworkConnection quot C Program Files Support com providerComcast desktopdoctor exe quot flow flow diagnosenetwork trayclick true haveconfirmedwiring true haverenewed true haverestartedmodem true onrestart true havehealed true issuenumber e - b - e - e - e aa e eebcO - HKUS S- - - Run Power GoExpress NA User 'SYSTEM' O - HKUS DEFAULT Run Power GoExpress NA User 'Default user' O - Startup IMVU lnk C Program Files IMVU IMVUClient exeO - Global Startup Status Monitor lnk C Program Files Brother Brmfcmon BrMfcWnd exeO - Extra button no name - B E C - FCB- CF-AAA - C - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dllO - Extra 'Tools' menuitem Sun Java Console - B E C - FCB- CF-AAA - C - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dllO - Extra button Research - B - CC- C -B BE- C C A - C PROGRA MICROS OFFICE REFIEBAR DLLO - Extra button Real com - CD F -D E - d - FE- C F AFE - C WINDOWS system Shdocvw dllO - Extra button Run IMVU ... Read more

A:Hard drive constantly accessing

Figured out the problem. Windows Media Player has some sort of setting to share files with an XBOX 360, which is also on the network. What a pain. Turned off that sharing feature in WMP, and all is well.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/190148/hard-drive-constantly-accessing/
Relevancy 61.49%

Hi everyone!
Ok I'll admit I am technologically challenged.
I have a question about accessing my desktop pc's hard drive from my laptop.
I have a Gateway desktop pc, Windows XP, just a regular home pc. I have a dsl connection. I have a wireless router thingie by Linksys so I can use the internet on my laptop anywhere in my house. My laptop has pretty much the same specs as the desktop but it's an older laptop, a compaq x6000 or something.

I would like to know if it's possible to access my desktop's hard drive using my laptop. Is this a silly question? Can I do it wirelessly? Or do I have to hook up cables & stuff?

Thanks so much!

Relevancy 61.49%

Hello guys, my bios does not support my hard disk "quantum fireball", How i can detect it, infact partition system of my hard disk has been damaged, or is there a way that i can repair it.
thanks.

A:accessing hard drive through bios

Go here http://www.maxtor.com/en/index.htm and d/load the diognostic and repair tools for your drive.Maxtor has the tools for Quantum drives. Go into bios and in the cmos setup you can change your drive detection to auto, save and exit, and see if it detects the drive then.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/accessing-hard-drive-through-bios.224856/
Relevancy 61.49%

I recently installed Norton AntiVirus. It found a Magistr virus in one of my email files. It reported that it had removed the virus. However, in the last several days I've heard something accessing my hard drive on an ongoing basis. I can't figure out what it is. I looked at running programs with CTRL+ALT+DEL. They seem normal. Things like: Rnaapp, Systray, Mixer, Directcd, Navapw32, Conmgr, Ptsnoop, and Explorer. Is there some other place I could look. I disabled Auto-Protect to see if that was it - NO. Does anyone have any other ideas of what it could be or where to look to find it?

THANKS
slider14

Relevancy 61.49%

even when idle Sounds like it s working even if I am Machine hard keeps accessing drive not doing anything I would be thrilled to get this machine back to fighting trim Any Machine keeps accessing hard drive and all help welcome Thank you Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe Machine keeps accessing hard drive C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS System ibmpmsvc exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS System Ati evxx exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgamsvr exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgupsvc exe C Program Files ewido anti-malware ewidoctrl exe c program files mcafee com agent mcdetect exe c PROGRA mcafee com vso mcshield exe c PROGRA mcafee com agent mctskshd exe C WINDOWS System QCONSVC EXE C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Efficient Networks Tango Manager app TangoService exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS system atiptaxx exe C WINDOWS system ltmsg exe C WINDOWS system tp mon exe C PROGRA ThinkPad UTILIT TP TRAY EXE C PROGRA ThinkPad PkgMgr HOTKEY TPHKMGR exe C WINDOWS system spool drivers w x hpztsb exe C Program Files McAfee com VSO mcvsshld exe C PROGRA mcafee com agent mcagent exe C WINDOWS System taskswitch exe C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe C Program Files Java jre bin jucheck exe C Program Files Zone Labs ZoneAlarm zlclient exe C Program Files McAfee com VSO oasclnt exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgcc exe C Program Files Webroot Spy Sweeper SpySweeper exe C Documents and Settings David My Documents Downloads FreeRAM XP Pro exe C WINDOWS system ZoneLabs vsmon exe C Program Files iPod bin iPodService exe C WINDOWS system wuauclt exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files ThinkPad PkgMgr HOTKEY TPONSCR exe C Program Files Yahoo Messenger ymsgr tray exe C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Documents and Settings David My Documents Hijackthis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www yahoo com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www yahoo com O - BHO no name - - F - D - - D F - C PROGRA SPYBOT SDHelper dll O - BHO no name - daa d - c- c- ca- fe f a - C WINDOWS system qdaa dll O - Toolbar McAfee VirusScan - BA B -B - c -B - F F - c progra mcafee com vso mcvsshl dll O - HKLM Run ATIModeChange Ati mdxx exe O - HKLM Run AtiPTA atiptaxx exe O - HKLM Run LTWinModem ltmsg exe O - HKLM Run TrackPointSrv tp mon exe O - HKLM Run TPTRAY C PROGRA ThinkPad UTILIT TP TRAY EXE O - HKLM Run TP EX tp ex exe O - HKLM Run TPHOTKEY C PROGRA ThinkPad PkgMgr HOTKEY TPHKMGR exe O - HKLM Run HPDJ Taskbar Utility C WINDOWS system spool drivers w x hpztsb exe O - HKLM Run VSOCheckTask quot C PROGRA McAfee com VSO mcmnhdlr exe quot checktask O - HKLM Run VirusScan Online C Program Files McAfee com VSO mcvsshld exe O - HKLM Run MCAgentExe c PROGRA mcafee com agent mcagent exe O - HKLM Run MCUpdateExe c PROGRA mcafee com agent mcupdate exe O - HKLM Run ISLP STA EXE ISLP STA EXE START O - HKLM Run CoolSwitch C WINDOWS System taskswitch exe O - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe O - HKLM Run QuickTime Task quot C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe quot -atboottime O - HKLM Run iTunesHelper C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe O - HKLM Run Zone Labs Client C Program Files Zone Labs ZoneAlarm zlclient exe O - HKLM Run OASClnt C Program Files McAfee com VSO oasclnt exe O - HKLM Run AVG CC C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgcc exe STARTUP O - HKLM Run TkBellExe quot C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe quot -osboot O - HKCU Run SpySweeper C Program Files Webroot Spy Sweeper SpySweeper exe O - HKCU Run FreeRAM XP quot C Documents and Settings David My Documents Downloads FreeRAM ... Read more

Relevancy 61.49%

my brother in law has an e-machines pc running xp home with an amd cpu. the graphics circuit on the motherboard went bad and installing a video card won't solve the problem. i would like to know if i can swap the hard drive from the amd pc into his new e-machines pc running xp home with an intel cpu in order to copy some data off the drive. i would rather not go the master,slave route so as to not change the drive letter designations. will the intel pc recognize the hard drive from an amd pc?

thanks
dave

Relevancy 61.49%

My old computer was put to rest with a big power surge last week I had to buy a new computer and now I would like to access my old files I have taken the hard drive out of my old PC My new PC of course has windows I am not a computer expert but I am not a Hard on Drive file Old Accessing novice either The old hard drive has the sata connection and I have a sata cable but have never used one previously I connected the cable to the old hard drive and then plugged in the power cord to the wall outlet I then I connected the USB cable from the sata Accessing file on Old Hard Drive cable connected to my Accessing file on Old Hard Drive old drive to my new PC s USB port I haven't been able to access the files on the old drive but I know my new pc has recognized the hardware After I connected the USB cable to my new pc under Devices I can see a hardware named USB to ATA ATAPI Bridge Not sure what that means There is No drive listed for it though when I open Windows Explorer I can only see the OS C drive and the HP Recovery D drive Any help on how to access my old files would be greatly appreciated

A:Accessing file on Old Hard Drive

Quote: Originally Posted by eddie57

The old hard drive has the sata connection and I have a sata cable, but have never used one previously. I connected the cable to the old hard drive and then plugged in the power cord to the wall outlet. I then I connected the USB cable from the sata cable connected to my old drive to my new PC’s USB port.

That last sentence seems incomplete.

"I then connected the USB cable from the SATA cable connected to my old drive to my new PC's USB port."

Do you mean that your old drive had BOTH a SATA connector as well as a USB connector? This was an internal drive in your old machine before it died?

Do you mean you used some kind of SATA-to-USB adapter cable, going from SATA connector on the drive to USB and then into a USB socket on the new PC?

Are you planning on adding this drive from the old machine as a second internal hard drive on the new machine? You can certainly do that very easily (it just needs a power cable connection and a data cable connection, and an available slot in your internal hard drive cage).

If this was a SATA drive and was in your old machine as a SATA drive then it had a SATA cable and a SATA power connector cable. You should use a SATA cable and connect it to an available SATA connector on the new machine's motherboard.

I still don't understand how USB enters the story. Please clarify. If it was a USB drive on the old machine, it can certainly be a USB drive on the new machine... but these are generally external drives, not internal drives.

As I said above, installing the drive as a second internal SATA drive on your new machine is simple, assuming you have an available SATA connector on the motherboard, a SATA data cable, a SATA power connector, and a free slot in the drive cage.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/156673-accessing-file-old-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 61.49%

I think my problem to most likely be a relatively simple one. I have a desktop (Using it right now) with a hard drive, 7 etc etc and everything works fine. I am however having issues accessing a hard drive from an old lap top I used to own. It was sold, but I kept the hard drive. This was a while ago so I can't remember its OS, but I'm pretty sure it was XP but possibly vista. I have plugged it into one of my towers extra hard drive spots in hopes of being able to retrieve some old pictures from it.

This is my problem: After reboot, it got a message saying the usual installing device driver software thing, after that... nothing. I look in my computer and no new drive showed up. Anybody know what to do?

A:Problem Accessing My Old Hard Drive

Go to Start Orb -> right click "Computer" -> choose "Manage"
Then, go to Disk Mangement.

You will see on the right, your usual hard drive and your optical storage drive. If your old hard drive is detected, you will see it there. If it is, right click then give it its own drive access letter. Then, it'll show up in Computer just fine

If it isn't... well, there's a problem with the hard drive.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/230460-problem-accessing-my-old-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 61.49%

I alwasy start these things with sorry if it s in the wrong place because I really don t understand most forums to be fair so once again my apologies if it is but any way I have a computer which crashed and I can get to the screen where I can log in but hard accessing another computers drive? there is no longer any user profiles for accessing another computers hard drive? me to log into and an error message said about the drive being damaged so I was wondering the computer still works it s just the drive doesn t so is there any way to access this computer through my laptop and take a look at the hard drive through accessing another computers hard drive? there to see if there is anything I can recover the only part im struggling with really is connecting the computers so I can explore the hard drive is this simple even if it s a case of there is no chance of recovering anything then still is it possible to do this as it might come in handy in the future any way although one last thing I must say is there any way of doing it without removing the hard drive as that is why im asking here as iv not found any method that means I don t have to take the computer apart thanks for ya help nbsp

A:accessing another computers hard drive?

Try this boot disc: Ubuntu Live CD to back up files from your dead Windows It should allow you access to the drive and to back up any important data to DVD's or an external drive as long as the hard drive is not completely inoperative.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/accessing-another-computers-hard-drive.1027168/
Relevancy 61.49%

Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS Program Hard Drive Accessing System smss exeC WINDOWS system csrss exeC WINDOWS system winlogon exeC WINDOWS system services exeC WINDOWS system lsass exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC Program Files Panda Software Panda Platinum Internet Security TPSrv exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC Program Files Panda Software Panda Platinum Internet Security pavsrv exeC Program Files Panda Software Panda Platinum Internet Security AVENGINE EXEC WINDOWS System svchost exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC WINDOWS System svchost exec program files panda software panda platinum internet security firewall PNMSRV EXEC WINDOWS system spoolsv exeC Program Files APC APC PowerChute Personal Edition mainserv exeC WINDOWS System Program Accessing Hard Drive drivers CDAC BA EXEC WINDOWS System cisvc exeC WINDOWS System CTsvcCDA EXEC PROGRA Iomega System AppServices exeC WINDOWS System nvsvc exeC Program Files Panda Software Panda Platinum Internet Security PavFnSvr exeC Program Files Common Files Panda Software PavShld pavprsrv exeC Program Files Panda Software Panda Platinum Internet Security AntiSpam pskmssvc exeC Program Files Panda Software Panda Platinum Internet Security psimsvc exeC Program Files Spyware Doctor sdhelp exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared SNDSrvc exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC WINDOWS system wdfmgr exeC Program Files Iomega AutoDisk ADService exeC WINDOWS System alg exeC WINDOWS system devldr exeC WINDOWS Explorer EXEC Program Files Panda Software Panda Platinum Internet Security apvxdwin exeC Program Files Panda Software Panda Platinum Internet Security SRVLOAD EXEC Program Files QuickTime qttask exeC Program Files MUSICMATCH MUSICMATCH Jukebox mmtask exeC Program Files Roxio Easy CD Creator DirectCD DirectCD exeC Program Files Iomega AutoDisk ADUserMon exeC Program Files Iomega DriveIcons ImgIcon exeC Program Files Microsoft ActiveSync WCESCOMM EXEC Program Files Spyware Doctor swdoctor exeC Program Files Adobe Acrobat Reader reader sl exeC Program Files D-Link AirPlus AirPlus exeC Program Files Digital Line Detect DLG exeC Program Files Hewlett-Packard AiO hp officejet k series Bin hpoorn exeC Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Works Shared wkcalrem exeC Program Files APC APC PowerChute Personal Edition systray exeC Program Files Microsoft AntiSpyware gcasDtServ exeC Program Files Panda Software Panda Platinum Internet Security WebProxy exeC WINDOWS system wuauclt exeC PROGRA HEWLET AiO Shared Bin hpoevm exeC Program Files Panda Software Panda Platinum Internet Security avciman exeC WINDOWS system hpoipm exeC WINDOWS System wbem wmiprvse exeC Program Files Panda Software Panda Platinum Internet Security psimreal exeC Program Files Hewlett-Packard AiO Shared bin hpOSTS exeC Program Files Hewlett-Packard AiO Shared bin hpOFXM exeC Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exeC PROGRA WINZIP winzip exeC Documents and Settings Daniel F King Local Settings Temp HijackThis exeR - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL about blankR - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search CustomizeSearch R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page about blankR - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride R - Default URLSearchHook is missingO - Hosts O - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dllO - BHO no name - - F - D - - D F - C Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy SDHelper dllO - BHO PCTools Site Guard - C B A - DB - A -A CB-D BBFEB - C PROGRA SPYWAR tools iesdsg dllO - BHO PCTools Browser Monitor - B A D D- - C -A - DF C AC - C PROGRA SPYWAR tools iesdpb dllO - HKLM Run UpdReg C WINDOWS Updreg exeO - HKLM Run QuickTime Task quot C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe quot -atboot... Read more

A:Program Accessing Hard Drive

Hi,

Sorry for this delay. Please post a fresh log if you still have this problem.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40273/program-accessing-hard-drive/
Relevancy 61.49%

I have an external hard drive that is connected to a laptop. I want to be able to view/access the files on that hard drive w/o physically having to be at the laptop it is connected to. Is my best bet for this to just set the drive as "shared" on my network so I can see the files from any computer connected to the network?
EDIT ---
2 machines are Win 7, 3 are Windows 8, we are behind different domains and connected to different workgroups, which I am sure throws a big wrench into things.

Relevancy 61.49%

Have a Fujitsu PIII C Series LifeBook Laptop. Model C7651 which has a Toshiba MK4018GAP 40GB Primary Master.

Quest 1: Boots up, then goes to WindXP Home opening screen and then posts msq re FAT32 and hard drive consistency. Is hard drive bad or can something be done about it?

Quest 2: If hard drive is bad, how the heck do I open the case to get in to change it with a new hard drive?

Could really use some help. Thanks.

Relevancy 61.49%

Hi folks,

My laptop recently died, and I'd like to salvage some information off the hard drive. I was planning to put the HD in an external HD case and connect it to another computer, but the laptop HD seems to have some different kind of power connection. Seems like it does have SATA. What kind of cord would I need to power the HD in this external enclosure? Is there anything special I should know about these laptop HDs?

This is the hard drive:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145119

Thanks!
Doctor Kazefa

A:Accessing laptop hard drive

It should just be the sata power connector, does it look like a larger version of the sata connector?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/accessing-laptop-hard-drive.974375/
Relevancy 61.49%

I have a Seagate BUP Slimline 1TB external drive, all was working well, but I think I have pulled it out while it was "reading"

External drive shows in device manager and properties says its working properly

Nothing showing in Explorer or My Computer
Nothing showing in Disk Management

I have tried right clicking it within device manager to try and force it to disable/enable or update driver or uninstall and it just hangs indefinitely.

I have downloaded a couple of data recovery programs but they don't see the drive.

I have plugged the external into my sons desktop and it's not seen there either.

Does anyone know of a fix for this? or have I rendered it useless?

Any help would be much appreciated.

A:Help accessing external hard drive

Hi @3billy3!

Since the drive appears in Device Manager you can try to boot with Linux Live CD and see if you can access the data stored on it. In order to do that just follow these steps:

1. Download/burn the ISO image to a CD or USB.
2. Change the boot order to the media you burned the Linux on.
3. Once it loads, you could try and mount the drive (or if Linux can read it, it will mount by itself) and see if it is recognized. In case it is - transfer the data.

Once the information is stored on another location you can run a diagnostic test on the external with the manufacturer tool and see if anything wrong will be detected. In case there is you can RMA it back and get a replacement unit if it's still under warranty.

Hope this helps and let me know how it went. Feel free to upload some screenshots as well so I can take a look.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/398589-help-accessing-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 61.49%

Hi all I just installed new hard drive as I though it was going out since it never stopped read writing After multiple fresh installs and disabling some of the non-essential stuff my computer Drive accessing stop Won't Hard once again has crawled to a snail s pace This is not even a year old and I have a -core processor and gigs of ram More than enough for what I need it to do Here is a Hijack This report Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Unknown Windows WinNT SP MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C Program Files AVAST Software Avast AvastUI exe C Program Files x iTunes iTunesHelper exe C Hard Drive Won't stop accessing Windows SysWOW RunDll exe C Program Files WIDCOMM Bluetooth Software BluetoothHeadsetProxy exe C Program Files x Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C Program Files x Mozilla Firefox plugin-container exe C Windows SysWOW Macromed Flash FlashPlayerPlugin exe C Windows SysWOW Macromed Flash FlashPlayerPlugin exe C Program Files x Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page Hard Drive Won't stop accessing http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Hard Drive Won't stop accessing Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search CustomizeSearch R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page C Windows SysWOW blank htm R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride local R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName F - REG system ini UserInit userinit exe O - BHO AcroIEHelperStub - DF C-E AD- -A -FA C EBDC - C Program Files x Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelperShim dll O - BHO avast WebRep - E E -AD D- bf-AC D-D F D - C Program Files AVAST Software Avast aswWebRepIE dll O - Toolbar avast WebRep - E E -AD D- bf-AC D-D F D - C Program Files AVAST Software Avast aswWebRepIE dll O - HKLM Run StartCCC quot C Program Files x ATI Technologies ATI ACE Core-Static CLIStart exe quot MSRun O - HKLM Run QLBController C Program Files x Hewlett-Packard HP HotKey Support QLBController exe start O - HKLM Run avast quot C Program Files AVAST Software Avast avastUI exe quot nogui O - HKLM Run AdobeCS ServiceManager quot C Program Files x Common Files Adobe CS ServiceManager CS ServiceManager exe quot -launchedbylogin O - HKLM Run Adobe ARM quot C Program Files x Common Files Adobe ARM AdobeARM exe quot O - HKLM Run APSDaemon quot C Program Files x Common Files Apple Apple Application Support APSDaemon exe quot O - HKLM Run iTunesHelper quot C Program Files x iTunes iTunesHelper exe quot O - HKUS S- - - Run Sidebar ProgramFiles Windows Sidebar Sidebar exe autoRun User LOCAL SERVICE O - HKUS S- - - RunOnce mctadmin C Windows System mctadmin exe User LOCAL SERVICE O - HKUS S- - - Run Sidebar ProgramFiles Windows Sidebar Sidebar exe autoRun User NETWORK SERVICE O - HKUS S- - - RunOnce mctadmin C Windows System mctadmin exe User NETWORK SERVICE O - Global Startup Bluetooth lnk O - Extra context menu item E amp xport to Microsoft Excel - res C PROGRA MICROS Office EXCEL EXE O - Extra context menu item Send image to amp Bluetooth Device - C Program Files WIDCOMM Bluetooth Software btsendto ie ctx htm O - Extra context menu item Send page to amp Bluetooth Device - C Program Files WIDCOMM Bluetooth Software btsendto ie htm O - Extra button Send to OneNote - A- - f c- - EE C C - C PROGRA MICROS O... Read more

A:Hard Drive Won't stop accessing

Use Task Manager and check the cpu usage. You can also check which process is using the most cpu (assuming the cpu usage is high).

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-wont-stop-accessing.1057740/
Relevancy 61.06%

I am new to this site so forgive me for not searching for my answer before posing the problem A month ago my five year old Dell running ceased Windows XP SP ceased booting I ended up buying a new machine Dell running Windows Since the old if it drive Accessing internal external. hard is as an machine will not boot I have Accessing an internal hard drive as if it is external. connected the old hard drive to the new machine because I need many of the files saved there The problem seems to be entering the hard drive with access as if Accessing an internal hard drive as if it is external. it were the primary source Windows XP login and Accessing an internal hard drive as if it is external. administrator PW The new machine does recognize the drive and all the files however due to quot security restrictions quot I can not even view a photo from the old drive Is there a way I can access the old drive s files Ideally I would like to even to be able to access my email accounts from the old drive so I can transfer files which had been quot saved to this machine quot so I can transfer them to the server and in turn save them to the new machine I am not sure if it is possible but if I were able to create a back door remote access without being able to initiate it from the old computer I think I may be able to get what I need and want - like my iTunes photos etc Any help will be much appreciated thanks nbsp

A:Accessing an internal hard drive as if it is external.

You simply need to take ownership of the files, see here: http://www.blogsdna.com/2159/how-to...sions-to-access-files-folder-in-windows-7.htm

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/accessing-an-internal-hard-drive-as-if-it-is-external.932304/
Relevancy 61.06%

I ve installed my old hard drive from my desktop that had XP into my newer desktop that has Windows I was hoping that I on in drive hard files new Accessing old computer d see all the files on the old drive now F Accessing files on old hard drive in new computer drive displayed in Windows explorer but I don t I just see some of the files When I first booted the computer after installing the drive a window came up saying that the new drive was being configured or prepared I hope it didn t automatically delete things According to properties there is still gigs used on that drive which is about right Assuming the files are still on the drive how could I display them in explorer I d like to copy and paste doc files into my new computer For some reason the MyMusic folder is one of the folders that displays I do have access to s of mp s gig worth but what I really need is my Word files for work purposes I can t access any of the Word files Also MS Access files for data base Can t find those files at all nbsp

Relevancy 61.06%

I got computer an drive another USB via Accessing on hard internal these cables that came in a white box The box just has quot PCABUSBX quot written on it Accessing an internal hard drive on another computer via USB No instructions or CD or anything I recall it was quite cheap I was able to use this years ago to help a neighbor access files from their old computer that they couldn t get on anymore I use the power cable and hook it into the hard drive I can hear the hard drive come on and start spinning Next I attach the USB adapter to the hard drive then plug into my computers USB It installs a driver for the adapter and says it finished installing At this point I don t know where to go from It doesn t list any new devices or drives in My Computer I can hear the hard drive spinning and when Accessing an internal hard drive on another computer via USB I plug the USB into computer it makes a little noise notifying me but nothing else happens Am I not doing something correctly EDIT Could it be an Accessing an internal hard drive on another computer via USB OS compatibility issue on the driver It says quot Supports Windows ME XP Vista and Mac OS quot -- I m on Windows nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/accessing-an-internal-hard-drive-on-another-computer-via-usb.1169736/
Relevancy 61.06%

I bought a DELL labtop Inspiron over two from external files Accessing hard drive years ago It got XP Home version A couple of weeks ago a cup of coffee was spilled on my laptop I took it to a computer shop They contacted Dell and tried to order the labtop motherboard but to no avail as Dell has discontinued manufacturing this type The warranty is only year So I decided to use it for spare parts What s an expensive cup of coffee Ouch After removing the hard drive Gb from the labtop I made it as an external USB type hard drive It was a perfect solution as at least I can save the data But the fun was a short one as I now experience something to do with file access Connecting the external hard drive to my PC I can see all the files and folders on it The problem is on my Dell Accessing files from external hard drive laptop I have users setup under Document and Setting One of the user logon userA enforces password while the the other userB enfoces no password for logging on I can open files from userB with no problem Accessing files from external hard drive but can not open files or folders from userA It says quot Access denied quot or quot file inaccessible quot Is there a way to overcome this Thank you in anticipation folks nbsp

Relevancy 61.06%

When I start up my laptop I get pretty much solid HD access for probably 3 to 5 minutes. I know this isn't right. Is there a program out there that I could download to see what exactly if doing all that accessing so I can deal with it?

A:any programs I can use to see whats accessing my Hard Drive?

Give these a try:
Process Monitor
DiskMon

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/any-programs-i-can-use-to-see-whats-accessing-my-hard-drive-437817.html
Relevancy 61.06%

Windows and my partitions on my hard drive are messed up. How can I wipe my hard drive so that I can reinstall Windows via a DVD?

A:Wipe Hard Drive without Accessing Windows

you should get the option to remove the partions and reset up the drive from the DVD
otherwise I would use
http://www.dban.org/

which can completely clean a harddrive

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wipe-hard-drive-without-accessing-windows.1154204/
Relevancy 61.06%

After my comp had some serious bugs I decided to reformat and stored everything I wanted to keep GB on a GB MP player When I hooked it up it would say quot Docked quot and then I could go to Hard player's Drive Solved: MP3 an HELP! Accessing My Computer and Directly access it s internal files Now that my computer has been reformated and reinstalled with windows I can seem to get it to quot Dock quot Solved: HELP! Accessing an MP3 player's Hard Drive or even be accessed by windows media player so all my old files are trapped Also I did not store them on the File Storage part but on the main system where the music is stored It is a Creative Zen Vision M and The program on the CD for it doesnt access the part that I accessed It wasn t installed anyways I wondered if there was some program that accesses hard drives Someon told me that mabye some program I HAD was letting me the first time but I dont know which one cause all my programs are non-viewable on the MP player I m re-installing Windows Media Player BETA which I had at the time Please help cause I have tons of music and movies and games and stuff like that on there that I want back and my dad s important buisness files nbsp

A:Solved: HELP! Accessing an MP3 player's Hard Drive

have you tried the "Add hardware" thing in the control panel? i'm assuming you're running WinXP. If so (or even if you're running 2000 or ME) just go into the control panel and use that to search for new hardware devices. Though you shouldnt need to do this in the first place...but i suppose it couldnt hurt.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-help-accessing-an-mp3-players-hard-drive.505378/
Relevancy 61.06%

I recently had issues with a computer and needed files accessing drive Help with external hard on to get a new one but was able to save the hard drive from the old and use as an external it had everything on it and I didn t back it up Anyway I purchased a Dynex external hard disc case hooked it up to the new computer and it accesses only half of the stuff It apepars that the things on the external that had a password to access it Help with accessing files on external hard drive will now allow to me access My computer is telling me I quot do not have permission to access that file quot How can I gain access to those files that I was able to access on the other computer Its the same hard drive Is there a way to enter the sign-on password info so that I access the quot protected quot stuff They were really only microsoft word documents but thousands of them as well as digital voice files I ve already tried the quot properties Security Owner change ownership quot thing Didn t work Thanks Kate nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-with-accessing-files-on-external-hard-drive.190805/
Relevancy 61.06%

western digital GB hard drive inside an external usb enclosure from bytecc com is constantly accessing hard external drive constantly being accessed i can t quot legally quot unplug it from my box with the quot safely unplug hardware quot icon from taskbar gives error quot The Device Generic Volume cannot be stopped because a program is still accessing it quot constantly accessing external hard drive and the access light on the enclosure comfirms that it is being accessed but i dont know why or by what my AVG anti-virus perhaps there doesn t appear to be any loss of data when i just constantly accessing external hard drive unplug without the quot safely unplug hardware quot icon but id like to figure out how to stop this unknown application from constantly accessing my hard drive because i have another external drive from buslink gb usb that unplugs and plugs fine my reason for suspecting AVG anti-virus is that when i plug i in almost immediately an AVGsomethingoranother dat file and a hidden folder with AVg in its name appear on the drive the dat file is onle a couple kbytes XP SP thanks in advance for any help provided nbsp

A:constantly accessing external hard drive

Are any programs installed directly to it rather than just using it for storage? If so any one of them if running can cause a problem. Another test you can do is do an msconfig and pick to bootup with certain things enabled or disabled. this will givey ou a list of the running things and what may be accessing the drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/constantly-accessing-external-hard-drive.334359/
Relevancy 61.06%

I took some video with my Sony Handycam and imported it onto my external hard drive with my desktop computer. This desktop uses Vista home premium 64 bit OS.

Now when I connect my external hard drive to an older computer, I can only hear the audio with Windows Media Player but cannot see the video.

Is there something I have to do to my older, Windows XP computer to be able to view this or is that impossible since it was imported with a 64bit pc?

A:Accessing MPEG on external hard drive

Copy it to your hard drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/accessing-mpeg-on-external-hard-drive.894373/
Relevancy 61.06%

I connected two computers using a switch. I can access the 2nd computer by typing \\ipaddress. I login as the primary user (admin access) of the other machine and the root folder is users. I can drill down and view all files. Problem is that I wish to be able to navigate to D drive of that machine but I can't because highest folder level is users ?

A:Accessing 2nd hard drive of networked computer

Quote: Originally Posted by jmsnyc

I connected two computers using a switch. I can access the 2nd computer by typing \\ipaddress. I login as the primary user (admin access) of the other machine and the root folder is users. I can drill down and view all files. Problem is that I wish to be able to navigate to D drive of that machine but I can't because highest folder level is users ?

To access the root of the drive you would need to go into D: >properties> Security tab> Edit button > Add check marks for the required permissions for the Authenticated User, Apply, OK etc.

You would also need to allow for sharing of the D drive through the Sharing tab> Advanced Sharing button, click the box to share the drive then hit the Permissions button, add check marks to the Everyone share, hit apply etc.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/316264-accessing-2nd-hard-drive-networked-computer.html
Relevancy 61.06%

I was moving some files between my external hard drive and computer, but my cat knocked over the external, causing it to disconnect. I am now having trouble accessing the hard drive. I'm thinking that the hard drive became corrupt (like when it does not get safely removed). I've tried to use Testdisk to try to repair the hard drive, but I keep getting "Partition: Read Error". I cant access the hard drive at all, but it does get detected by the computer. Is the data still salvageable? The drive is a 1TB toshiba external SATA drive.

Relevancy 61.06%

Ok, I just got a new external hard drive enclosure and a new hard drive to go inside it. I just removed the hard drive to put in a formerly working hard drive that used to be a master hard drive inside my system. I want to access the My Documents folder in the former hard drive and put them on my current hard drive so I can wipe the former hard drive and use it in my system. Does anyone know how I can access this My Documents folder? Every time I go to {Hard drive letter}/Documents and Settings/{User Name}/, it says that access is denied . How do I get around this message. (I already tried going to Properties and remove the "Read Only" check mark. Didn't work.) Could someone please help?

A:Accessing My Documents on External Hard Drive

log in as admin and not as your regular name, most likely the system thinks your a diff. user, see if u can change the filer permissions on the folders

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/accessing-my-documents-on-external-hard-drive.542388/
Relevancy 61.06%

My external hard drive is not being recognized by Windows for whatever reason, so I need some extra space until I figure out how to fix that. My old desktop (Compaq Presario 5000) has a 20gb hard drive and I need to know if there is anyway to access it's hard drive through my laptop. Is there a way to connect them with USB or anything along those lines? I just need to be able to take stuff from my laptop's hard drive and transfer it to my desktop directly, without disks or anything.

Relevancy 61.06%

Just like a pulse my computer keeps accessing the hard drive I can tell this as it makes the usual clicking noise the cursor flashes up the timer and the HDD light flashes This happens about every second I have no idea why this is accessing hard drive? Computer continually happening and it s driving me crazy Here is my HijackThis log Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe c Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccSetMgr exe c Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccEvtMgr exe c Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccProxy exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE c Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared SNDSrvc exe c Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared SPBBC SPBBCSvc exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared CCPD-LC symlcsvc exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files Symantec Computer continually accessing hard drive? LiveUpdate ALUSchedulerSvc exe C WINDOWS eHome ehRecvr exe C WINDOWS eHome ehSched exe C Program Files Common Files LightScribe LSSrvc exe c Program Files Norton Internet Security Norton AntiVirus navapsvc exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared Security Console NSCSRVCE EXE C Program Files Vongo VongoService exe C WINDOWS system mqsvc exe C Program Files Hewlett-Packard Shared hpqwmiex exe C WINDOWS system mqtgsvc exe C WINDOWS system dllhost exe C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe C Program Files MSN Messenger MsnMsgr Exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Google GoogleToolbarNotifier GoogleToolbarNotifier exe C WINDOWS system taskmgr exe C Program Files Internet Explorer IEXPLORE EXE C Program Files Symantec LiveUpdate ALUNOTIFY EXE C WINDOWS system wuauclt exe C Program Files Internet Explorer IEXPLORE EXE C Documents and Settings Graham Desktop HiJackThis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http ie redirect hp com svs rdr TYPE amp tp iehome amp locale EN US amp c Q amp bd pavilion amp pf laptop R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http ie redirect hp com svs rdr TYPE amp tp iehome amp locale EN US amp c Q amp bd pavilion amp pf laptop R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Connection Wizard ShellNext http ie redirect hp com svs rdr TYPE amp tp iehome amp locale EN US amp c Q amp bd pavilion amp pf laptop O - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Reader ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - BHO NAV Helper - A F D D-E - D -B A - BB FDD - c Program Files Norton Internet Security Norton AntiVirus NavShExt dll O - BHO Google Toolbar Helper - AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - c program files google googletoolbar dll O - Toolbar Norton AntiVirus - C E A- F - E-B E- B - c Program Files Norton Internet Security Norton AntiVirus NavShExt dll O - Toolbar amp Google - C B - - d - B - A CD F - c program files google googletoolbar dll O - HKLM Run QuickTime Task quot C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe quot -atboottime O - HKLM Run ALUAlert C Program Files Symantec LiveUpdate ALUNOTIFY EXE O - HKCU Run msnmsgr quot C Program Files MSN Messenger MsnMsgr Exe quot background O - HKCU Run ctfmon exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe O - HKCU Run swg C Program Files Google GoogleToolbarNotifier GoogleToolbarNotifier exe O - DEFAULT User Startup Vongo Tray lnk C Program Files Vongo Tray exe User Default user O - Global Startup iTunes O - Global Startup QuickTime O - Global Startup Roxio O - Extra context menu item E amp xport to Microsoft Excel - res C PROGRA MICROS OFFICE EXCEL EXE O - Extra button no name - B E C - FCB- CF-AAA - C - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - Extra Tools menuitem Sun Java Console - B E C - FCB- CF-AAA - C - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - Extra button Research - B - CC- C -B BE- C C A - C PROGRA MICROS OFFICE REFIEB... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-continually-accessing-hard-drive.598900/
Relevancy 61.06%

Hey all, I just picked up a 1.5TB Hard drive. Formatted it made it a primary partition and used the entire drive as a single drive. I am on Vista. Now when I access the hard drive there is about a 5-10 second pause before it access the hard drive and there is an audible click from the drive. Did I make the partition too big? Should I split it? or is there something wrong with me new drive? I did a Windows Hard Drive Scan on it and it came back with no errors as well.

A:System Pauses after accessing new hard drive.

Go to the drive manufacturer's web site and download their drive test utility. Run a test on the drive. Some second-rate drive companies don't have the testing utilities. I hope yours does.

The "click" you describe worries me. Could be what we know as "the click of death", meaning the drive could be failing.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/system-pauses-after-accessing-new-hard-drive.789933/
Relevancy 61.06%

ok so im just another sap with a hard drive issue and this is my first post great start eh well my issues are this i decided to rebuild my computer from other dead towers i had laying around and i got everything working fine no problems and then days after it started showing me some error message about quot no hard disk quot and referring multiple hard accessing drive(s) issues to some parameters then when multiple issues accessing hard drive(s) i restarted the computer i got some other error about workgroups and an exe not being able to start i tried running scandisk and defrag but neither would start and i cant get them multiple issues accessing hard drive(s) to start i asked a friend who works with computers if he could help and showed him the error message about the no hard drive he said i should reinstall the driver after much searching empty promises and dead ends still no way to download the driver btw the hard drive s having issues are a western digital WD -BB gb boot and the secondary drive a Quantum Fireball lct gb i found out the other drive the Quantum was having issues when i tried opening it by double click i received yet another message concerning not being able to find quot recyclers quot i get that error trying to access both drives yet i can still access by right click quot explore quot using device manager the drives are invisible and only my cd-rom drive shows using disk management both hard drives are shown and the update driver option does jack good so at this point seeing that it both hard drives effected and not just the one im wondering if i need new drives for the hard drives or if its another issue entirely one thing i did try and seemed to work was wiping the drive again and then doing a full format and re installation of windows everything was fine i could see the drive and all i didnt however try defrag or chkdsk after that i started copying files from the gb backup back to the gb there wasnt alot but it was mostly downloaded files for im antivirus and the like could this also be a culprit any help is much appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 61.06%

So I have a laptop that will no longer power on and I just want to get all of my pictures/music/writing off the hard drive and onto my desktop or external hard drive. How do I go about this? Can I just open the laptop up, remove the hard drive, open up my desktop and plug it in?

A:Accessing the hard drive on a broken laptop

As long as it's a SATA HDD, and you have a spare SATA data cable / SATA power cable from your PSU, then yes you can just plug it into your desktop, boot off of your normal HDD, and access the files/folders. You may have take ownership of the files/folders of the C:\Users directory: Take Ownership of a File or Folder

If not, then you would have to get an external USB enclosure for your laptop HDD (2.5" size).

http://www.techist.com/forums/f155/accessing-hard-drive-broken-laptop-270587/
Relevancy 61.06%

My computer has been sporadically crashing to blue screens due to an incompatible driver or drivers so I tried removing two questionable drivers from the driver folder drvmcdb sys drvnddm sys Now when it attempts to boot the operating Accessing no boot a OS the situation hard drive in system at startup we hit another blue screen and the operating system won t load This blue screen reports Stop x B xC x x This is the Microsoft troubleshooting article for this stop in case anyone s interested http support microsoft com default aspx scid kb en-us XSLTH It is clearly because I removed these drivers that the computer won t boot So in order to fix the device driver problem Accessing the hard drive in a no OS boot situation I ll first have to get the operating system running which means I must put the drivers back in place I backed them up on the hard drive So here comes my real question disregarding compatibility issues which originally led to this boot problem How can I access those drivers I backed up on the hard drive and put them Accessing the hard drive in a no OS boot situation back in the driver folder without booting up Windows XP Does a boot disc have the utilities to do this Is there some way of doing this through the BIOS Is there an operating system or something that I can run off of a floppy disc or compact disc which won t require any installation that I can use to move these files Maybe at a later date I ll create a thread addressing the driver incompatibility issue that I have but for now I m only concerned with putting those drivers back in their place so I can get to the next step Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 61.06%

I am getting the error windows cannot access \\CHRS_LAPTOP\laptop harddrive

What is going on, I set the sharing preferences so no password is needed to access the hard drive and everyone can access it. This worked in windows 7 and 8.1, what changed in windows 10?

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/59693-accessing-hard-drive-laptop-desktop.html
Relevancy 61.06%

I just installed an external hard drive quot drive connected to and accessing Problem drive USB external new hard powered by a USB port My XP Pro PC recognized it did a search for drivers and gave me a quot your new device has been installed and is ready for use quot message When I look in Device Manager I see it as a quot USB Mass Storage Device quot -- I verified this by unplugging it and plugging it back in the device disappeared and reappeared in Device Manager When I click on it in Device Manager it says quot The Device Is Working Properly quot and that it s Location Location USB to IDE My problem I can t access it When I look under quot My Computer quot I don t see it there all I have is the same drives I had before installing the external hard drive Here s the list C D Note C and D are partitions of the same Master drive on my first IDE controller G which is the Slave on the first IDE controller A floppy E F my DVD drive and DVD-RW Problem accessing new external USB hard drive drive on the second IDE controller Master and Slave Any ideas folks nbsp

A:Problem accessing new external USB hard drive

Right click on My Computer, Manage, Disk Management. Find the drive in the graphic display, you can partition and format it there. After that, it shows up in My Computer.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problem-accessing-new-external-usb-hard-drive.312341/
Relevancy 61.06%

Hello everyone,
I have a WD passport 1 terrabyte external hard drive. I brought it abroad with me and transfered some files from it to my sister's computer and when I tried plugging it into my computer at home again it gives me the error: "You need to format disk drive G: before you can use it". Also whenever I plug it in it makes my computer so slow that I cannot do anything on it. So I tried downloading Partition Table Doctor and I cannot actually use it because it is so slow that it won't load my external hard drive when I plug it in. My sister's OS is WIndows 7 and I have Vista. Anyway, please help! I will gladly give more information, whatever is needed.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/accessing-wd-passport-external-hard-drive.1011322/
Relevancy 61.06%

Ok well I dropped my external hard drive and am now having trouble accessing it on my computer When Accessing drive Hard External Trouble I plug it in it makes this strange series of beeps Kind of hard to explain But anyways after that stops the icon in the bottom right corner appears letting me know that the computer has recognized Trouble Accessing External Hard drive the hard drive and is giving me the option to safely remove the device So this is where the trouble starts When I go to my computer my external is nowhere to be found It is listed in the device manager but I still can t access it I have tried updating the Trouble Accessing External Hard drive driver and rolling it back Trouble Accessing External Hard drive Still nothing I am hoping that the hard drive isn t fried and perhaps the enclosure is having trouble connecting the drive to the computer I have a ton of music on it so I m praying that I can get this squared away Any help would be much appreciated Thank you nbsp

Relevancy 61.06%

I have a 2nd hard drive that goes into sleep mode when not in use after 20 minutes (the windows default).

However, it always seems to turn itself on even if I have 0 programs running.. (Everything unchecked from start up and non-MS services).

How do I prevent it from starting up unless I browse the drive?

I already disabled system restore and MSE, but what else should I do?

A:Prevent Windows 7 from accessing 2nd Hard Drive.

You might be able to see what is running using this little program.

Process Explorer

Do you have your second drive set to index.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/292613-prevent-windows-7-accessing-2nd-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 61.06%

I am trying to access my personal files from an internal Hard Drive in which I removed files an internal from Accessing old Hard Drive from a computer of mine which stopped working This computer was using Windows XP Professional The computer I am using now uses Windows I removed the hard drive from the failed computer and tried connecting it to my present computer using a USB To IDE SATA Cable but I am always asked to initialize the disk I have doubts about doing this as I think this will wipe the hard drive clean I did however backup my personal files using Microsoft Backup before my failed computer stopped working I downloaded and installed the Restore Utility for Windows from Accessing files from an old internal Hard Drive Microsoft on my present computer and tried restoring my backup but I keep getting the message 'This media has been secured You do not have the proper privileges ' I think that this is because I protected my backup with a password I would appreciate any help in solving my problem

A:Accessing files from an old internal Hard Drive

Is your old drive IDE or SATA?
On your new Motherboard do you have both IDE and SATA Ports?
You should be able to connect old drive to new mobo

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/90917-accessing-files-old-internal-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 61.06%

Hello I've just built a new PC which is running windows 7 ultimate all my music files are on my old internal hard drive which was running xp. When i try access my music files its tell me i don't have permission i can gain control of the folders individually but can not move or play the files. Any help would be much appreciated.

A:[SOLVED] Accessing Interanal Hard Drive

Have you done this,

Right click on the old HDD, go to the security tabs, click on advanced, then click on the owner tab, from the owner list, choose administrator and click ok

And see if you can open your files.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-accessing-interanal-hard-drive-618661.html
Relevancy 61.06%

I just updated my computer to Windows XP which use at least a third of my rather small hard drive. I realize that external hard drives are usually used for storage but I was wondering if there is an application or method to use an external hard drive to hold and launch some of the programs I usually would have installed on my hard drive?

A:Accessing programs from external hard drive

No problem as long as the drivers for the drive are always loaded before the programs from it.
Any program can be installed to a different drive - it is an option on the program install.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/accessing-programs-from-external-hard-drive.253201/
Relevancy 60.2%

Is there a program taht will allow for this, that is relatively cheap, or is there a way to do it without using a program?

Relevancy 60.2%

hey i am havin a problem accessing my 300G harddrive it's "WDC WD32 00JD-60KLB0 SCSI" that is my "storage harddrive" where i got my games an music files on there how do i gain access to that.

it would be a great help if u can help me with a "step-by-step" guide for that so i can do it myself after when you have told me how to do it...

Thank You

P.S Mohammed Arfan

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-accessing-my-raid-controller-hard-drive.137988/
Relevancy 60.2%

Hi I hope someone can help I have an urgent need to retrieve some essays off my son's hard drive within the next two days Background is my son's power supply has to go back to manufacturers for warranty claim as it failed recently taking the house electrics with it We have three days to retrieve some essays off his MyDocuments folder to send off for uni application I have taken his hard drive and added it to my PC as a 'slave' If instead I try to Win7 from 'dead' hard Error PC. drive accessing boot from it it crashes - probably because its screen and motherboard drivers are different from my screen and motherboard After booting from my HD I can see his c drive perfectly well in explorer although it is now d drive on my PC of course Unfortunately one of the things I could see clearly is a little padlock symbol next to the 'Documents and Settings' folder It would not let me access it I Error accessing hard drive from 'dead' Win7 PC. tried sharing it or adding read or full control rights but it would not allow a change Unfortunately I then tried to 'Take Ownership' of this folder as the previous owner was SYSTEM This was stumbling through help screens - not knowing what I was doing and I tried taking ownership as Administrator baston Unfortunately the padlock symbol has now been replaced by a shortcut symbol and it now gives me a shortcut to the same folder on my c drive So I'm currently borked Anyone any idea how I can undo what I've done and get to see its Error accessing hard drive from 'dead' Win7 PC. contents thanks

A:Error accessing hard drive from 'dead' Win7 PC.

Getting a hard drive to work on another computer is a lot easier said than done.

The easiest & quickest way to get around this problem is to buy another power supply for your sons computer, they are not a major expense & are fairly easy to fit.

Reinstall his HD again & providing no damage was done to his motherboard etc., when his PSU failed, should have you up & running very quickly.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/311312-error-accessing-hard-drive-dead-win7-pc.html
Relevancy 60.2%

Hi,

I have a Dell Inspiron with the the new Windows Visa OS. I'm attempting to use my LaCie d2 Hard Drive Extreme (160gb). When i plug it in the computer only partially recognizes it. If I go to "manage" my computer and then storage, the device appears there. it doesn't, however, appear under the My Computer main page (the one with the main internal drive, and the cd/dvd drive...etc.)

Any ideas why the computer isn't allowing me to access the drive? If so, what do i do?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/trouble-accessing-external-hard-drive-with-vista-os.672115/