Windows Support Forum

PC sometimes turns on, sometimes not

Q: PC sometimes turns on, sometimes not

My problem with a pc is that sometimes it powers up sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes I have to keep pushing the power button like a hundred times before the pc respond. On some days it only takes a few attempts to power it up. Actually this is my neighbor's pc -- in fact, two of them exactly the same make on the hardwares (power supply, motherboard, casing, cpu, fan, memory, etc.) and both have the same problem. They are clones by the way. Anybody who can help me please?

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: PC sometimes turns on, sometimes not

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 49.02%

After getting a couple blue screens I am having the following issue When I turn my computer on the fans and drives all start up After approx seconds the computer shuts itself off After another seconds the computer turns itself back on again This time it stays on but i have no monitor output I don t hear a beep video Computer on has turns then turns no output off back on, turns but which tells me it is probably not posting I have read a few other threads that have a similar issue but not the same I am thinking it is either the mobo GPU or PSU I would like any guidance and assistance that you guys can give me on this specifically what i should look at first and how to diagnose Thanks system specs below ASUS P Q Pro ATX Intel Motherboard Intel Core Duo E GHz LGA W Dual-Core Processor EVGA GeForce GTX Core -P - -AR Video Card Antec EA W Power Supply OCZ GB x GB -Pin DDR PC Dual Channel Kit Memory nbsp

A:Computer turns on, turns off then turns back on but has no video output

Motherboard Short

I have helped somebody who had a similar issue and it was the motherboard being shorted out by the case. We took the motherboard out of the case and it booted up just fine. Something you might want to try before purchasing new components.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-turns-on-turns-off-then-turns-back-on-but-has-no-video-output.152198/
Relevancy 47.3%

I have an external DVD CDRW drive that keeps being added then removed added then removed. That is all that it does. You know how Windows XP does. It plays that little two tone sound each time a device is added or removed...it is so annoying. I cannot use the drive as it does not stay "added" long enough. I am stumped...I have never heard anything like it. Have you?

A:External DVD CDRW Drive turns off, turns on, turns off...etc.

Did the unit ship with drivers? ?
It also might be a cable issue. Inspect that cable or try a new one and or another USB port. If you have it on the front of the case try it on a rear USB port. I've seen machines where the front ports carried less power than the rear ones.

patio.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-dvd-cdrw-drive-turns-off-turns-on-turns-off-etc.24677/
Relevancy 42.57%

Hi I m having trouble with two of my desktops Desktop Problem When all cords and such are plugged in I press the power button The desktop turns on for about - seconds and then HELP! restarts turns repeatedly, black turns on to on and screen Desktop other restarts The bios doesn t flash the os doesn t boot As far as I can tell the desktop restarts indefinitely Any ideas what s going on here --Desktop Type HP Pavilion a W I found someone with a similar problem here Desktop Problem HELP! Desktop turns on and restarts repeatedly, other turns on to black screen I bought some M Dust Remover a few days ago I disconnected power along with everything else from a desktop of mine Pulled the cover off and started blowing the dust out of the case I put everything back together plugged it in and the desktop doesn t work It boots to a blank screen with the the power and hard drive led s stuck on on the front of the desktop The led on the back of the power supply turns on I can hear the hard drive spin up it detects the cd dvd drives floppy drive and then just hangs with the led s stuck on Anyone have an idea what might be going on here --Desktop Type Compaq Presario S NX Thanks for the help I m hoping to get atleast one of these back online w o buying a whole new desktop -Chris nbsp

A:HELP! Desktop turns on and restarts repeatedly, other turns on to black screen

Hi….

Desktop 1:

Do you see anything on your screen at all while this is happening?

Have you tried to press the setup key to see if the BIOS will come up and make changes?

Do you have any USB devices (other than keyboard or mouse) hooked up? If so, try disconnecting them and see if it will at least POST or attempt to go into the OS.

WARNING: Before checking the capacitors, disconnect the power cord on your system and press & hold the POWER button to allow the power to discharge! Also, you should always ground yourself before touching computer components to prevent static discharge!

Just FYI, some of the motherboards in this series of HP’s have issues with the capacitors.

You should take a look at the capacitors to see if the tops of them are raised or discolored. Also, if you put your finger on the top of the capacitors, they should feel as if they are INDENTED and not flush or raised. Raising or discoloration (up to and including a black tar looking substance on the tops indicate a leaking capacitor).

Desktop 2:

Any POST sounds (beeps) produced at all?

Have you tried the monitor from Desktop 1 on this one?

Anything at all displayed on the monitor, to include CHECK CABLE message?

Recommendation: Open the case again and ensure that all the cards, memory, drive cables and so forth are all connect properly and not loose or dislodged.

Do you know how to RESET your BIOS to default using the onboard jumpers?

Here is a detailed link on troubleshooting this issue:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...cc=us&dlc=en&product=338684&rule=4566&lang=en

Thanks and keep us up-to-date!

Shane

Found another good link:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...788&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=338684&lang=en

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-desktop-turns-on-and-restarts-repeatedly-other-turns-on-to-black-screen.666195/
Relevancy 42.14%

Trying to build a system for my brother. I put the 3200+ Athlon XP CPU in and with the heatsink. It turns on for maybe a few seconds and then turns off.

People were saying heatsink but I have tried it on 2, one is the ALK-800A, then some CoolerMaster one. I have to admit the CoolerMaster was originally from my 2100+ setup but still, it's all copper.

I do notice when I remove the CPU, it stays turned on. I know pretty sure this CPU works as I tested like hours before I put it in my brothers. Cant do that now since it was a quite a drive back home from college.

Jumpers? Settings? Anything?

Relevancy 42.14%

Somtimes I turn it on and it stays on for about three seconds then turns off then on for another three seconds somtimes the lights are very dim red and the fan barly spins and most of the time it dosnt even turn on. Will this happend to me about three month ago and one day it just started working normally but now its been broken for a while and I tried to fix the power button I seen that was the problem on some forums but that didn't work I tried alot of things but nothing seems to work and just turned it off one day and it stopped working so i dont know if its the power source but just give me something to try please.

A:My comp turns on for 5seconds and turns off or dosnt turn on at all

Have you tried checking on the fan/ ventilation? i use to have this problem with my P3. fan was jam with debris/ dust. when i boot up, it was fine, once i go in to window it freeze. After i got the fan moving (cleaning the dust) it works fine.

Hope it works for you.

Oh, Zenosincks mght have a point there too. Thought my experience was on the CPU. Cheers,

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-comp-turns-on-for-5seconds-and-turns-off-or-dosnt-turn-on-at-all.99341/
Relevancy 42.14%

I HAVE READ OTHER SIMILAR THREADS ------ My PC actually has the fans turns few shuts after on off seconds, PC retarded, back turns lights AND can t even get anywhere on the BIOS gb ram GT GHz Intel Pentium D gb HD CD ROM Foxconn P A mobo My mom took my PC away from me I got it back and it is retarded now I start the PC the fans come on lights are all good then PC turns retarded, shuts off after few seconds, turns back on about - seconds it shuts off and then comes back on by itself When I turn the power on the monitor does not show anything at all I have tried many of different things Different PSU problem is not the PSU D C the CD ROM HD so it can t be one of those as PC turns retarded, shuts off after few seconds, turns back on a failure stick of RAM my memory is fine Checked ALL of my cables they are connected properly checked many of times unconnected then reconnected alot Replaced the grease between heat sink CPU can t be my CPU or overheating problem Heat sink Fan is properly mounted not loose at all and is flat All of the aluminum capacitors on the mother board are perfectly fine not leaking and PC turns retarded, shuts off after few seconds, turns back on are on proper Reset the mother board a few times well thats MOST of the stuff I have done there is probably more but I can t think of what else I have tried at the moment And BTW can t access BIOS so don t ask if I can get into it Any help would be appreciated nbsp

A:PC turns retarded, shuts off after few seconds, turns back on

Reset the mother board a few times....Click to expand...

Do you mean you have tried resetting the bios jumper, on the Motherboard?
If not do that.

Also, have you tried disconnecting all HDD; Floppy; CD data cables (from the motherboard end (actually I'd do case fan too and front USB connection to motherboard)
If this works, you will need to put one back in at a time, until you find the problem

Usually this fault is related to faulty Ram or CPU

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-turns-retarded-shuts-off-after-few-seconds-turns-back-on.100697/
Relevancy 42.14%

Referring to a Toshiba Tecra 9100, model no: PT910E-602SF-EN

The power button normally doesn?t turn it on at all, though occasionally it boots up normally, starts to load windows, then always cuts out after 5-15 seconds anyway.

It still charges up the batteries fine, but won?t turn on. I?ve checked the ram, hard-drive, and I re-set the bios to defaults - nothing stops it from cutting out if you can get it to turn on.

Any ideas what could be the problem? Any help appreciated, it?s the second time one I?ve had - the same problem last time!

Thanks

A:Tecra 9100 turns on intermittently, and turns off after 10-15 seconds

Hey,

Have you already tried cleaning the fan? Maybe a lot of dust is blocking the fan so the notebook can?t start and turns off itself due a higher temperature. It would be worth a try cleaning it.

But in my opinion you have everything done what you can do and it looks like a mainboard malfunction. If cleaning the fan doesn?t help I think the mainboard is defective or something else. If you are familiar with notebook disassembling you can try to repair it yourself with second hand parts. Otherwise it?s time for a new notebook I think?

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?61352-Tecra-9100-turns-on-intermittently-and-turns-off-after-10-15-seconds
Relevancy 42.14%

Hi

My friends computer turns on for 5 seconds and turns off and during that 5 seconds preiod the computer makes a weird noise like beping sound.
His computer is Dell and its XP iam affarid i dont have much of his computers specs. If any one can suggest how he could solve it.

thank you for reading and helping

A:my friends computer turns on for 5 seconds and turns off again automaticly plz help

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-friends-computer-turns-on-for-5-seconds-and-turns-off-again-automaticly-plz-help.850533/
Relevancy 41.28%

My computer turns off then pressed again and turns on fine. This maybe due i went cheap and got a psu with case but i believe it needs to warm up for it to turn on.

Thanks for the help!

Relevancy 41.28%

So, I installed Vista yesterday and it was working like a charm and last night I turned the computer off.

I woke up this morning, pressed the power button, lights/fans/computer came on for a few seconds (3 seconds approximately) and then the computer just shut off instantly, then another 3 secondsish later it turned back on and did the same thing, and it keeps doing it.
The only way I could fix it was by unplugging the power cable and turning off the switch at the power socket, I thought it may was a one-off thing.

I left the computer on, got back about 6 hours later and the computer was off (nobody turned it off, no power blackouts etc), I turned it on and it did the same thing. So I had to turn it off at the power etc and it boots up fine and it works.

This wasn't happening until I installed Vista.

Thanks in advance.

A:Computer turns on for a few seconds then turns off [loop]

I just realised, I haven't been shutting the computer down, just been clicking the power button in the Start Menu (which I have just realised isn't shut down - hovered over it: Keeps your session in memory and puts the computer in a low-power state so that you can quickly resume working). I'm fair sure this is "Sleep" (Vista noob).
I just went into Power Options and saw that Sleep was set to 1 hour, so I'm assuming:

* Last night I put my computer into sleep
* Today it went into sleep by itself (after 1 hour)

Therefore it's a problem with the sleep mode?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/computer-turns-on-for-a-few-seconds-then-turns-off-loop-388872.html
Relevancy 41.28%

Today i got this Gateway W350a T-Series T-1625 Notebook,
the client told me tha it just stopped working .
so i turn her on an the fan starts for about 3 seconds the lights
turn on too but then she turns off the screen stays black because
it turns off so quick has anybody had this issue before ?Im going
to take her apart and make sure everything is ok inside but im allways
looking for advised.

Thanks for any help in advanced

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/gateway-notebook-turns-off-for-a-quick-second-than-turns-off.1044369/
Relevancy 41.28%

Hey guys I need help, during startup Windows Firewall turns off upon system startup and then turns back on a few minutes later, then network connections open up to finish up my bootup process. I have SP3, and this little problem is causing my computer to startup slowly significantly. I have tried scanning for viruses and spyware and have found none, so I really don't know what's causing this to happen.

A:Firewall turns off and upon startup and then turns back on

That's normal, in my experience.

Not just with Windows firewall but any other firewall I've played with...the network connection is the last line of system defense when the system boots.

The firewall won't allow contact with the Internet...until the system is totally setup and out of danger. The firewall activates (along with the other startup items), then the network connection is made.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/348323/firewall-turns-off-and-upon-startup-and-then-turns-back-on/
Relevancy 41.28%

I just swapped my PSU and GPU with RMA ones, swapped out all power cables with new ones and reconnected everything.Tested PSU by itself. It works.It was working prior to me taking out the parts for RMA, but one of those hardware were causing shut-downs.Now when I push the button power after putting in the new parts and connecting everything, it'll start up then stays shut off with the 2 phase LEDs lit up. A green and a yellow.Any suggestions to what the problem is?

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,158604.0.html
Relevancy 41.28%

Hello I m looking for some advice and guidance I am not a technical expert on computer hardware I understand the basics and that s about the extent of it My current PC is a Dell desktop tower it runs Windows it uses an Intel Core Duo processor It is a few years old I d estimate or years old I plug my PC into a Belkin surge protector multi-outlet device which plugs into the wall electrical outlet My problem is that recently the PC randomly has been instantly powering-down and then a few seconds later powering-up again and rebooting This happens twice or turns then randomly turns quickly PC off on itself back times a day on average I have no explanation for it I do know that it s highly annoying and I m concerned and want to do something to fix this problem before any permanent damage occurs to PC randomly turns off then quickly turns itself back on my PC Last week I searched the internet PC randomly turns off then quickly turns itself back on briefly for advice and the two possible causes that popped-up in search results were A overheating or B issues with the power cord Given that over the past week in my spare time I have totally rerouted all the cords and wires behind PC randomly turns off then quickly turns itself back on my computer desk to ensure that no wires were tangling pulling or weighing-down on the power cord for my PC I also totally dusted out the cabinet and backside of the PC tower and gently vacuumed the quot fan quot area on the back of the PC to ensure it was free of dust and lint I removed some random objects from the PC cabinet CD s mice keyboard etc to ensure that there was plenty of quot airflow quot around the PC tower presumably to ensure no overheating I rerouted several electronics that previously shared the Belkin multi-outlet device to another electrical outlet in the room I m not sure if any of these actions was helpful or not but I know that my PC is still having the same original power-off power-on issue no change I also updated and ran the quot Malwarebytes quot anti-malware software and the full scan showed no infections problems identified I am at a loss at this point and would appreciate any help or advice I ve owned several PC s over the past decade or so and I ve never encountered this problem with any of them nbsp

Relevancy 41.28%

Seems I have the same issues as "someonedying" had,

here's my spec.

CPU - Intel Core i5 760 - LGA1156
MoBo - ASUSTeK P7P55D-E LX
RAM - 2pcs of Corsair Dual-Channel DDR3 2GB
VidCard - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470
PSU - Fortron/FSP Everest 80Plus 800

when I turn my computer on, all the lights, the fans together with the MoBo lights turns on for 1 second, then it turns off for 3-4 seconds then turns on again until the OS loads..

when I restart my computer, this doesn't happen anymore.. It only occur when I completely turn the computer and UPS off..

I bought this system a month ago. I have to option to bring this to the shop where I bought it but I want to know what the possible issues are.. Most of computer shops here in our country replaces some parts w/o the owner's knowledge.. >.<

Please help.. Thanks =)

A:My PC, turns off for 3 seconds after turning on then turns back on

Seriously, I'd take this back to the shop and have them fix this at their expense. I would also take note of the parts you have now and compare them when it is returned.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-pc-turns-off-for-3-seconds-after-turning-on-then-turns-back-on.157147/
Relevancy 39.99%

Hello I own Toshiba Satellite C55-C1984.

Immediatlty after I turn on my laptop, it turns off and turns on again after few seconds with no apparent reason.

Should I worry about this?

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?91055-Satellite-C55-C1984-turns-off-and-turns-on-again
Relevancy 39.99%

hello im trying to figure out what is causing this this problem in for few own turns a turns on on computer its Solved: then off my computer i just got a new asrock g m-s r mother board because my old motherboards pci slot stopped working and now after putting everything together the computer will turn on for about seconds and then shuts itself off this is really frustrating any help would be appreciated edit i also want to mention that i bought new ram with the motherboard Edit i Solved: computer turns on for a few then turns off on its own also got it to go into bios once but it shut off while i was in it as well Ok so another edit after searching the forums i have been trying many things to find the problem still cant figure it out tho things i have tried i have removed everything from the motherboard such as Graphics card sound card hard drive dvd drives and the ram even the front panel usb i did this by taking them out one by one never putting them back in and testing by turning it back on this is still very frustrating any help would be appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 39.99%

So when I plug the LAN cord in to the computer the lights on the LAN card turn on. But when I turn on the computer the LAN card turns off. I've installed the most recent drivers and still nothing. Is there something that I am missing?

A:Lan Card Turns off When computer turns on?!

Make and model of computer?
Make and model of the LAN card?

What, if any, error messages are you getting?
Have you gone into Properties for the LAN card to see if it has any diagnostics?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lan-card-turns-off-when-computer-turns-on.876462/
Relevancy 39.99%

I leave my computer on for a long times like 1-4 weeks at a time so that may be part of the problem but it doesn't get really hot (it has 7 fans so yea) but back to the problem when its started i turned it on and i wasn't looking and then it turned off (still not looking) and it turned off again and then it on (looking this time) and i saw it booting up then i saw it froze at the windows 7 logo and then either i turned it off or it turned its self off then. Now when i turn it on it turns its self off after few seconds. but when i leave it alone for a day it stays on for 5-15 seconds.
If you can please help me!
my specs: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-AMD-FX-8350-4-0GHZ-16GB-DDR3-500GB-38496000-/201156598215?

Relevancy 39.99%

I have an older Compaq laptop that usually works fine, but now when I press the power button it just lights up a few of the lights, makes an odd beeping noise and immediately turns off. Nothing appears on the display and it never goes farther than that. I?ve tried a "hard reset" and reseating the ram modules, but neither worked and I have no idea where to go from here.

A:laptop turns on for 1-2 seconds then turns off

Welcome nabbed_clones.

Could you mention the make and model of your laptop please and explain what the odd beeping noise is (e.g., is it a quick one beep noise, or long beep noise, or many different beeps?) Any other sounds?

(Have you tried turning on the laptop with the mains power plugged in and the battery out?).

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/laptop-turns-on-for-1-2-seconds-then-turns-off-582508.html
Relevancy 39.99%

First off hello fellow tech peoples Now to business Specs - ASUS Maximus Vi Hero - Intel i - k - NVIDIA GTX Ti - x GB RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum - Corsair H i - Corsair RM PSU The Issue As I ve mentioned the computer either goes -OR- Off Computer On Contin On and Turns Twice and Off Turns into two states it either starts up fine until about error code - CSM Initialization then pops back down to and shuts off It then proceeds to turn on again for a split second before turning all the way off and never back on again The second state is that it turns off again at error code and turns back on but it will infinitely repeat this process Both states do not display anything on screen and do not boot into the BIOS screen Tried and failed solutions - I ve already checked up on the POST Checklist and Computer Turns On and Off Twice -OR- Turns On and Off Contin tried all solutions - Everything is firmly connected everything that CAN be connected IS connected - I ve tried to start it up with every combination of RAM sticks in all slots in slots and a single slot as well as none at all still get the error no RAM installed gives me error - All components are firmly seated in their respective slots - The PSU is a newly acquired one straight out of the box - I ve disconnected each component and tested it without them and have still received the same problem - I ve tried resetting the CMOS battery to no avail - I initially believed it to be an inoperable case fan but I got that working and it still gives me the same problem - I ve also tried plugging in the PSU to both a wall outlet and surge protector Both haven t had any effect If it helps a bit prior to this problem when starting up the computer only the PSU fan would spin for a split second No power to the rest of the motherboard just to the PSU and it wouldn t power on again unless I unplugged the PSU s main cable from the wall I ve been tearing my ears off trying to get this thing to work for the past hours at this point I m absolutely spent I m starting to think that it might be the motherboard that s gone AWOL but I can t tell for sure Any help regarding this is extremely appreciated nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-turns-on-and-off-twice-or-turns-on-and-off-contin.1157475/
Relevancy 39.99%

okay so i am able to turn my computer on for a few seconds but then it automatically shuts itself off after a few seconds but the thing is after letting it sit for a couple seconds it says something about how the clocks on my processor have been overclocked too high and asks if it wants me to restore them, so i do that and then the computer works fine, but then when i turn it off and turn it back on it does the exact same thing until i get that message again.

any ideas on how i can fix this?

i've tried manually reducing the clocks on my cpu even though they were already at stock clocks and that didnt work

system specs:
windows 7 ultimate 64bit
intel core 2 quad q6600 @ 2.4ghz standard clocks
4gb ddr2-800 ram
ati hd 4760 1gb ddr3

please and thank you

A:computer turns on for a few seconds then turns off

Try resetting the bios on the motherboard.

You can do this by opening up the computer and remove the battery and then reinstall. There are also a jump to do the samething, but you have to look at your motherboards manual /user guide to see where it's located.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/246355-computer-turns-few-seconds-then-turns-off.html
Relevancy 39.99%

Ok so I m computer and back right on then turns turns off having a problem with building my computer I used to have a working gaming pc but i decided to upgrade so i upgraded my case my motherboard and my PSU After i re-built everything and was planning on turning it on all the fans started spinning and the Led s turned computer turns on and then turns right back off on but only for about seconds it then turned off What i figured out is that whenever my CPU cable is plugged in this happens but when it is unplugged it doesn t shut off but also no Bios shows up The HSF always spins very slowly and slowly stops working My Motherboard doesn t have onboard graphics so i need a GPU Pleeeeeaaaase help me i really want it to work and sorry for the nooby question I have seen similar problems on other Forums but i didn t quite get it and i thought with my specifications it would be easier for me to understand Here are my specs Motherboard gigabyte FXA-UD PSU Corsair RM Processor AMD FX GPU AMD radeon vtx d and case probably unnecessary thermaltake level gt snow edition And ps Pleeeeaaaase help nbsp

A:computer turns on and then turns right back off

Processor: AMD FXClick to expand...

You didn't fully describe the AMD FX processor you have. Here is the supported list of FX processors for that motherboard.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-turns-on-and-then-turns-right-back-off.1130433/
Relevancy 39.99%

When I boot up my computer or restart, and not always but most times, audio from my home web page of ESPN comes on. No web pages have been opened. I can adjust the audio. If I go to the web page I can see which videos the audio came from and if I open them they are behind. It just goes away after a bit 5-10 minutes. Any way to know which port is open or if there is a problem. I am on DSL.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/when-computer-turns-on-web-audio-turns-on-305448.html
Relevancy 39.99%

my laptop turns on then suddenly turns off after few seconds. any suggestion regarding this issue? is this a common issue on hp laptop? thanks in advance. 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/my-laptop-turns-on-then-suddenly-turns-off/td-p/5761152
Relevancy 36.98%

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post but i was wondering if anyone could help me with my computer A few days ago when i went to turn on my computer it powered on but didnt post then seconds later it powered itself off Right after this it proceeded My turns Help please, computer turns off then itself on to cycle through powering itself on and off continuously till i shut it off Nothing appears on the screen and all the fans are spinning When i tried to replace the power supply it seemed to be fixed and i used the computer for an hour or so before it froze i reset it and from that point on it has Help please, My computer turns on then turns itself off gone back to powering on and off again I ve had the computer for about - years and if it helps the specs are as follows Intel CPU not Help please, My computer turns on then turns itself off overclocked Gigabyte GA-X -DS XFX GTX Cosair x mb DDR Ram Coolermaster PSU w RS- -asaa-a GB SATA Harddrive I havent replaced any parts in the computer at all Any help would be greatly appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 36.98%

Hello everyone. I have an HP compaq computer with a Samsung SyncMaster 740N monitor. I noticed yesterday the screen was doing something weird. It almost looked like the colors were moving. I turned my computer off and this morning I turn on my computer and the screen pops up for a second and then turns off. I turned my monitor off and on again. The screen comes up, but then turns black. What is the cause? Do I need to get a new monitor?

A:Monitor turns on for a second and turns off

maybe electric power cable is loose connettion. Pls check and change power cable

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/monitor-turns-on-for-a-second-and-turns-off.150725/
Relevancy 36.98%

hp z820 turns on and turn off. doesn't show any video. i have changed the powersupply but no results. any help would be appreciated.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/hp-z820-turns-on-and-turns-off/td-p/5682249
Relevancy 36.98%

my computer turns on,, i see the windows windows xp logo but then it turns off by it self.help!!!

A:my computer turns on but then it turns off

Don't worry - This is a common issue - I ask, can you boot into the OS using SAFE MODE?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/my-computer-turns-on-but-then-it-turns-off-363999.html
Relevancy 36.98%

This problem suddenly happened when I came home from school. I have tryed a new power pack, the same happened, I have tried a new motherboard, the same happened.
I have also tried the trick with the paper clip to see if my power switch is broken, but again its the same problem.

Please help, i am so frustrated

A:HELP - my pc turns on for 1 second, lights up and then turns off.

I don't know if this would be it but I have seen this type of problem on a computer that turned out to have a bad power and reset switch. One way to check to see if this is the case pull off the wires for the power switch and reset button going to your board. Then you would want to find something like a screw driver or something that you could cross the power pins with and see if the machine does the same thing.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-my-pc-turns-on-for-1-second-lights-up-and-then-turns-off.100265/
Relevancy 29.67%

My computer turns on and off with no reason, I have already replaced the psu, it worked for a while then and the problem started again ! I have checked the plug and everything a hundred times and it's still not working.
I was wondering if something was wrong with the electricity in the house? Also would the UPS help ?

A:My PC turns on and off on by itself

I'd start by turning off power management options and confirm the auto on/off problems don't occur

1) In Device Manager, rt click Properties for EACH of your network adapters. Click the power management tab. UNCHECK "Allow computer to turn this device off to save power" - which btw will also prevent it from waking up from standby mode

2) In Control Panel->Power Options, disable and settings allowing for sleep/standby or hibernation modes

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-pc-turns-on-and-off-on-by-itself.132934/
Relevancy 29.67%

Oh my goodness, I t hought I was losing my mind, but my desktop PC is turning on b\y itself while we are at work!! What can be wrong??

A:My Pc Turns On By Itself!

Have you install any software or hardware lately? Do you have any USB devices?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/79340/my-pc-turns-on-by-itself/
Relevancy 29.67%

Hi My Pc turns itself on every day. It has a wireless N adapter connected to It please help

A:Pc turns itself on

hello try this

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100518033708AAWYeEf

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/pc-turns-itself-on.930238/
Relevancy 29.67%

Hello,

I have a home computer with XP Home Edition.
Sometimes I find the computer on in the morning.

What up here?
Has this happened to anybody else?

Rich

A:XP turns on by its self???

Do you have an NIC installed? Look through your BIOS settings for something like "wake on LAN".

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/xp-turns-on-by-its-self-6494.html
Relevancy 29.67%

My computer is a Acer Aspire v5, with windows 8. It will only light up a black screen where I can move my mouse across without lags, but this is how far it comes, the Acer logo appeard the first time I turned it on but after I shut it down with the on/off button it just shows me the black screen with the possibility to move the mouse.

A:It turns on, but that's it

So when you turn this laptop on now, you get no Acer logo or BIOS screen?  Absolutely nothing...? If that's right, then try disconnecting the mains adaptor power lead which plugs into the laptop.  Remove the battery from the laptop, then hold down the laptop's on/off switch for 10 seconds, then release it.  Leave the battery out for the moment, but now plug the mains adaptor power lead back into the laptop.  Switch on, and see what happens. If it works, then switch off, remove power lead from laptop, replace battery in laptop, connect power and restart. 

http://community.acer.com/t5/Veriton/It-turns-on-but-that-s-it/td-p/313452/jump-to/first-unread-message
Relevancy 29.67%

ill give as much info as poissible....

i turn my computer on i didnt have my fan on the computer so it did its normal overheat and turn off.. i did it twice then realized it

but now when i turn it on i gives start with system repair or normal...
i did system repair it took 1 hr to fix a "disk" error...

i try to start up and it goes to loading.. all that and right before you hear the noise when ur computer turns on i get a blue screen for half a second and my computer turns off

it repeats if i try to turn back on

i do system repair again and it says can not fix problem but wont show what the problem is...

am on my dads laptop atm fml)

A:turns on then turns off

If you create a recovery DVD, you may be able to boot to recovery options
Create Recovery DVD.
Hard Disc Controller must be set to IDE in BIOS and Bios must be set to boot from the CD Boot Priority - Change

The Vista recovery disk is used to boot Vista when it won't boot - to run Startup Repair, System Restore, access a Command Line, Recover using a Vista Backup Image, etc.
System Recovery Options. Choose an option tht will not cause you to lose your stuff.

If Vista will not start now, boot the Recovery CD to run Startup Repair which automates System Restore as well as numerous other tests including System File Checker which can repair system files which are not corrupted beyond repair.

If Vista still will not start, try booting into Safe Mode to run sfc /scannow to repair System files.
Special Thanks Given to Seven Forums.

Below is a bulletin distributed by MS to explain the start up procedure when Windows will not boot.
Startup Repair. Startup Repair is a Windows recovery tool that can fix certain problems, such as missing or damaged system files, that might prevent Windows from starting. Startup Repair is located on the System Recovery Options menu, which is on the Windows Vista installation disc. If your computer has preinstalled recovery options, it might also be stored on your computer's hard disk. For more information, see Startup Repair: frequently asked questions and What are the system recovery options in Windows Vista? If your computer does not include Startup Repair, your computer manufacturer might have customized or replaced the tool. Check the information that came with your computer or go to the manufacturer's website.Change restart settings in safe mode. If your computer is stuck in a loop where Windows fails, attempts to restart, and then fails again repeatedly, restart your computer in safe mode and select the Disable automatic restart on system failure checkbox. For more information, see Advanced startup options (including safe mode).Reinstall. If no other options have solved the problem, and you are sure that your computer's hardware is functioning normally, you might need to reinstall Windows. A custom (clean) installation of Windows will permanently delete all of the files on your computer and reinstall Windows, so only use this option if all other recovery options have been unsuccessful. After the installation, you will need to reinstall your programs and restore your files from backup copies. For more information, see Installing and reinstalling WindowsSee if you can get to System Restore, by using this procedure. If So go back 2 days before the initial problem of the fan.

http://www.vistax64.com/crashes-debugging/292911-turns-then-turns-off.html
Relevancy 29.67%

Sometimes at night, I leave the pc running for downloads. The last 2 nights, when I come down in the morning, the pc is off. I have to physically disconnect and reconnect the power cord before it will turn back on. Then it automatically runs the XP disk check, signalling an illegal shut-down.

Any ideas?

RPhox
PIII
256MB RAM
Windows XP Pro

A:PC Turns Off by Itself

What brand/watts power supply do you have? If it's not labeled in the back, then open the case and take a look -- it's the box with a fan and is connected to the power cord.

Check to see if you have the Sasser worm.

Check your memory using Memtest. Put the unzipped file onto a floppy disk or burn the ISO image onto a CD. Put the CD or floppy disk in the computer, reboot the computer and it should run after reboot (if the computer is set to boot from floppy and/or CD on start up). Now let it check for errors.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/pc-turns-off-by-itself.249256/
Relevancy 29.67%

My friend traded me a 160 GB IDE Drive for 2 80 GB SATA drives, i hooked it into my external enclosure and booted it up, it worked fine for about the first week. I installed a copy of partition magic my friend lended me as well and i tried to copy the partition from my old 20 GB drive onto this one, but when i restarted my comp just didnt, so i had to reboot. Now it only starts up after i let it sit for a while, then it only stays on for about 20 minutes and shuts down, then doesnt start back up unless i let it sit for a few hours. What might you think is the deal?

Relevancy 29.67%

We got a quot new quot computer and it is driving me nuts Dh bought it to be the server for his computers at work and it gave him a lot of problems there and the guy he bought it from told him that he heeded a more expensive computer that was built to be a server Instead of replacing the one that wasn t working dh turns It off! just bought the new one works fine and brought the old one home to me I formatted it and installed WinME The problem is that it occasionally just turns it self off I thought it was because maybe it got too hot running some of the kids big games but it has done It just turns off! it while no one was running anything on it or while I was just reading help files We took it back to the shop it came from but the guy there said he had it on quot all day quot and there was no problem He thinks it is a problem with the power at the house but my old computer is often running at the same time and doesn t turn off I can t find any problems in the power settings and don t know what to look at next Any ideas It s a Pentium GH Also I tried to put the modem from another computer in it and PnP says it finds a new PCI card and not a modem I tried it in different slots What am I doing wrong Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 29.67%

Sometimes my PS3 doesn't want to turn on at first and it can take up too 7 times before I finally get it to turn on. Once on it is fine though for as long as it is on. Yet every time I turn it off for a little it has this problem. What is going on? It's an older 40 GB version.

A:PS3 turns on only sometimes

Power supply is probably going out. Bad thing about consoles is you can't open them up and look or it will void any factory repairs. Only option you have is to send it to Sony and hope they can fix it. PC is really the way to go if you want to game, you can't customize or self repair your consoles when they mess up.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ps3-turns-on-only-sometimes.1010117/
Relevancy 29.67%

i just bought a new motherboard for my computer becuase the last one broke. but anyway it is a k7s5a motherboard. everything is installed correctly but when i hit the the power button the cpu fan turns for a couple seconds, but thats it, nothing else happens.
so if anyone knows what up just leave a reply

Relevancy 29.67%

hi can any one help me i have dell Pentium 4 1.7 ghrz running window xp sp2 without video card.. i reformatted and it turns 4 bit it looks like windows 98! i check the properties and it give only 4 bit no other choices.. can anyone help?

A:32 bit turns 4 bit!

You made the mistake of formatting the hard drive and doing a clean install of Windows XP SP2 without first identifying the devices in that computer and obtaining the Windows XP drivers for them and burning them off to a CD-R.

----------------------------------------------------------------

What's the model name and model number of that Dell?

Look on the sticker and advise what the 7-character service tag number is.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Right-click MY COMPUTER, then click Properties - Hardware - Device Manager, then click the + in

Display Adapters

IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers

Network Adapters

Other Devices

Sound Video And Game Controllers

Advise what's listed in each heading.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/32-bit-turns-4-bit.968184/
Relevancy 29.67%

hi every one the problem that i have is that my pc turns itself off for one reason or another,after 3-5 hours of being on my computer it just dies on me
and the only way it will start again is by taking the plug out of the socket putting it back in and starting it up again can any one out there help me i would be grateful

A:pc turns it self off

could be overheating (maybe):
take the cover off, blow out all the dusk from the inside, move the box to a non-enclosed space, run the pc w/o the cover on...
[in general try to keep the box cool]- then see if it still shuts down

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/pc-turns-it-self-off.317742/
Relevancy 29.67%

Hello everybody! I have an issue with my Dell 710 XPs. After i click power button, it turn on, and after 1 second it does turns off. all fans are spinning as normal.I have took all ram sticks out to identify the problem, after i have took them out, computer does turns on and making long beep signals.As soon as i put 1 ram stick back, it back to the same problem.

Can anybody tell me what this can be? i also tested psu, and it does give me correct voltage.
I have also check Motheboard for blown capacitors, there is no blown capacitors they just a bit fat. The numbers on them are c391, c395,c396, What are this capacitors do?

A:XPs 710 turns off after 1 second.

Capacitors are used in circuits to regulate voltage - prevent sags and spikes.  If any of them have bulging tops (which is what your description sounds like) they have failed, whether or not they've outrigt blown out - you will need to replace the mainboard (and it would be a good idea to replace the power supply as well, since they've been on the downward spiral for some time, and may have caused damage to it as well).

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19993533
Relevancy 29.67%

I Have a AMD 750 PC that shuts down win98 without any hassles. The PC runs fine as well regarding the programs I am using. What bugs me is this. After I switched of the PC and I go to bed , somewhere during the night the PC just starts all by itself. Next morning when get to my PC it is turned on and running for a while.
Any suggestions about this problem ??

Relevancy 29.67%

I am using windows XP with McAfee McAfee detected and removed a trojan Then right itself Turns off? PC after that removal detected another one I think it had the same file name It was JS something or another Then computer restarts itself After the reboot I start getting DLL and WIN errors All the sudden I now have new Anti-virus spyware programs One was PC Turns itself off? Windows Police and the other was called Total Security PC Turns itself off? No matter how many times i close and try to uninstall these programs they re-appear Im getting tons of errors Pop up after Pop up from the un-solicited progams My McAfee antivirus software wouldn't even start up So at this point I'm at a loss and dont know what to do I get out all my discs that came with computer and decide to try to reinstall the Mcafee the drivers and diagnostic tools I cant even run a program from my CD drives Next I try to get the software via internet from the McAfee and Dell websites but guess what My internet connection has limited or no connectivity I restart in one of the safe modes To my relief I now have internet accsess and feel a glimmer of hope So I try to download and re-install the McAfee It starts out ok but then locks up when its close to completion So I have to turn off the computer It boots back up and my background has changed Its text explaining my computer is infected and that everyone I have contacted is at risk It says I should install and run-antivirus software right then Not to wait One of the two programs puts a quick launch icon that looks exactly like the Windows Security Center icon in my tray So i have two icons down there that look the same I dont even trust Windows Security Center at this point So I battle for hours and finally get McAfee back up I scan and remove several cookies PUP's and trojans I can now get to my files but I cant run anything but Internet Explorer and McAfee I try acsessing diagnostic tools through DOS get some programs to run but then the computer turns itself off While in DOS mode I see whats been done to the files Many of them are missing the last character in the extension ex instead of exe for example So go through a lot of dirs and look to see if I can figure it out Im not bold enough to try to change anything in here so I give up I do CTRL F and im gonna start all over but every time System Restore runs the comp turns its self off After countless hours I finally manage to do a system restore I held down an F key after and managed to get it completed I dont know if that helped or not but that was the only way I ever got past completion Cool its done right NOPE Im reinstalling and updating windows and McAfee and it all looks good Im noticing how fast the PC is now I go to my email and various websites where I spend money and find out all my passwords have been changed I start reinstalling my ZUNE software and it locks up at I leave it there for like mins waiting No luck I turn the PC off again restart it and then I cant even get in safe mode The computer turns it self off several times in a row Three or four seconds after restart it would shut off Safe mode didnt work Safe mode with command prompt didnt work revert to last known settings that worked did not work My computer seems to be run fast Maybe I'm just trippin now but I think something STUCK even after my system restore Im hoping one of you will be willing to help me out THANKS P S Sorry for the wall of text DDS Ver - - - NTFSx Run by DKC at on Sun Internet Explorer Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition GMT - AV McAfee VirusScan On-access scanning enabled Updated B EE - - CDE-A A-DD BA FAD FW McAfee Personal Firewall enabled B - C F- -BDA - CA DA E Running Processes C WINDOWS system svchost -k DcomLaunch svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe -k WudfServiceGroup C WINDOWS system svchost exe -k netsvcs svchost exe svchost exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files Java j re bin jusched exe C WINDOWS system igfxpers exe C Pro... Read more

A:PC Turns itself off?

Hello,We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up.My name is Syler and I will be helping you to solve your Malware issues. If you have since resolved your issues I would appreciate if youwould let me no so I can close this topic, if you still need help please let me no what issues you are still having, in your next reply.Download random's system information tool (RSIT) by random/random from here and save it to your desktop.Double click on RSIT.exe to run RSIT.Click Continue at the disclaimer screen.Once it has finished, two logs will open. Please post the contents of both log.txt (<<will be maximized) and info.txt (<<will be minimized)Then please post back here with the following: log.txt info.txtThanks

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/255595/pc-turns-itself-off/
Relevancy 29.67%

Hi this past 2 weeks my computer has turned itself off 3 times whilst playing games with a DVD in the DVD drive and ive been told by a few people that it could either be the PSU or the DVD drive or spyware/virus but i have scanned my pc for viruses and nothing has showed so can someone enlighten me as to whether it will be one of the first 2 things?

A:My pc turns itself off

You should check if your pc is running hot. The ambiant temperature has been high.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-pc-turns-itself-off.604671/
Relevancy 29.67%

I have a custom built comp that is about - yrs old It has worked fine all these yrs with no problems Then it locked up playing a game about as old as it I couldn t crtl alt dlt out of it i had to press and there on but nothing Turns hold the on button then i turned it back on it said failure on my disk drive and i couldn t get out so i shut the power supply off Now when i turn it on the lights all come on the fans as well i can hear the hdd turn on but thats it no pc beep and no bios I changed the video card thinking that may be it but it wasn t Any ideas on the problem It is all clean as well It may have got to hot but i would have no idea how to find out if it s the MoBo or what Not sure if this matters or not but the green and orange light on the MoBo come on when i turn it on i m not sure if they were always on before i never really looked i guess Thank you for any help nbsp

A:Turns on but nothing there

It is a bad power supply or motherboard. Do you see any bulging or leaking capacitors on the motherboard near the CPU fan. Here's what bad capacitors look like:
http://www.badcaps.net/images/caps/gx270/index.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/turns-on-but-nothing-there.175657/
Relevancy 29.67%

The PC in question nbsp Gateway FX Windows i processor GB DDR RAM TB HDD Blu-ray Super-Multi combo drive DVD-Super Multi drive ATi Radeon HD MB video Integrated LAN no modem USB optical mouse no web cam will normally turns day until the PC on then once; next not BIOS PC turns on normally once; then will not until the next day P -A Logitech stereo speakers Manufactured nbsp Power cord is plugged into a Monster power control strip nbsp Power switch on PC works normally when PC is turned on about a m each day nbsp HISTORY nbsp Worked normally until the day after I uninstalled Apple Quick Time nbsp A system restore to just before that did not fix the problem nbsp The PC turns on normally early in the morning about a m however is totally unresponsive after either Hibernate or Shutdown nbsp Next morning it is normal again until after either Hibernate or Shutdown Since it turns on normally first time each day which occurs early in the morning I suspect some setting or instruction in Windows is causing and controlling this nbsp But I have not found anything suspect in the Power setting and have exceeded my knowledge level with regard to other settings instructions

A:PC turns on normally once; then will not until the next day

Your PC is now about six or seven years old. Right? There are a number of things that can 'wear out' in time.  First, try another video card. Next remove and swap out memopry sticks. If that does not help, the motherboard may have some component that has gone bad.Most common are the electrolytic capacirtores. The is no esy way to test them other tahn intgrusive  testing.(Whaich menas yhou remove one and replace it with a new one.)Do you have some test erqkuipment?for what it is worth, here is a video albout testing motherboard cpaciltors.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngA4k32jLGcHope you find the problem. 

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,155865.0.html
Relevancy 29.67%

HP Pavilion d6770Z laptop
Windows XP Home SP3, all latest pathces

My Computer show the optical drive (D as DVD-RAM

After taking a folder full of files and using Windows Explorer to "Send To" the DVD-RAM device and then kicking off the CD Write Wizard, it asks for blank CD-R. Insert blank CD-R (Imation 52X) into drive, close door and it never recognizes that there is blank media in the drive.

Worse, My Computer now says the device is a CD-ROM.

I have removed the drivers and let them by re-installed after reboot.

The drive is an LG GSA-T20N (Lightscribe).

Relevancy 29.67%

I have just re-formatted my HD and re-installed XP Pro using the setup CD. After a successful installation and within a few minutes of starting up the computer turns itself off. After re-starting the same happens or the system freezes during startup. Device manager indicates no hardware conflicts.
XP was originally installed and functional, I re-formatted as the HD was cluttered, running slow and error report messages were virtually always sent when opening my computer etc.

Please help.

A:XP turns PC off by itself

After starting XP Run DRWATSON, which may capture some data of the problem and post it. Good luck.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-turns-pc-off-by-itself.118767/
Relevancy 29.67%

Computer froze up turns off on Pc then one day then it went thriught a on off cycle turning on and off every seconds took it to my local repair store next day I was told it wasn't Pc turns on then off my power supply and he thought it was my motherboard ordered a new motherboard Pc turns on then off installed it completely same shut different day look up my problem found out I should try powering up with only the processor and the motherboard powered still nothing so I concluded it had to be my processor so I ordered a I k processor along with a compatible motherboard got it installed and boom same shit AGAIN I went through removing all the ram gpu and disconnecting everything but the motherboard and psu and still NOTHING I was told by my local pc repair shop their is nothing they can do for me anymore Setup st processor I k st motherboard Don't remember but I used it for years prior to this happeneing nd processor I k nd motherboard MSI Z GAMING ATX Motherboard - LGA Socket Anything else needed just ask

http://www.pchelpforum.com/pc-hardware/129726-pc-turns-then-off.html
Relevancy 29.67%

Sometimes suddenly my pc just turns its self off. It happens in just a second or two. I hear a click and then its off. It has done this 6 or more times. The last couple of times when I pushed the button on the front of the pc it would not turn on right away. I would push the button in and hold if for a few secs and release and nothing would happen. I triend to push it in quickly and release and nothing happened. It was only after 5-10 minutes that it would work.

A:pc turns its self off

Heat? Bad connections? New or old problem? More when hot from use?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/pc-turns-its-self-off.899660/
Relevancy 29.67%

The operating system of my PC is Windows 7. When I run my PC in Normal mode, it turns off automatically after 1-2 minutes, however it runs smoothly when I run it in safe mode. What's the solution to this problem?

A:Turns off

does it completely turn off or you just do not see a screen

any error messages

what are you running
video card
cpu
m/board
ram
power supply
brand
model
wattage

check the listings in the bios for voltages and temperatures and post them

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/turns-off-499890.html
Relevancy 29.67%

My PC will work just fine as long as you dont do anything. It will stay on all night but when you try to do anything like install something or go to control panel it turns off. It wont turn right back on you have to wait for a few minutes. Everything been reinstalled and reformatted. My brother had the computer before me and it worked fine for him for 2 or 3 years. Any advice would help. Thanks

Matt

A:PC turns itself off

Hi there, and welcome to Techspot.

Your problem could be any number of things, and the best thing to do is start troubleshooting one component at a time.

Here is a guide to help you try and find out what is going on.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-turns-itself-off.63631/
Relevancy 29.67%

my mother in law has an Emachine pc desktop and one day out of the blue it just started acting up, i went there to see if i could figure it out and i couldn't see anything and the fans were louder than normal. The lights turn on, i don't recall hearing any beeping when the pc is turned on but i can open the cd drive. i've tried hooking it up to a different monitor and still the same thing, any ideas on how i can fix this problem by myself without having to take it in? thanks!
-lorenzo(idaho)

A:pc turns on but nothing

Reseat the video card...reseat the RAM...check all connections for all devices...that would be my start.

Then, if necessary, I would try a different video card (first) and monitor (second).

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/174190/pc-turns-on-but-nothing/
Relevancy 29.67%

Pc turns on then off Computer froze up off turns on Pc then one day then it went thriught a on off cycle turning on and off every seconds took it to my local repair store next day I was told it wasn't my power supply and he thought it was my motherboard ordered a new motherboard installed it completely same shut different day look up my problem found out I should try powering up with only the processor and the motherboard powered still nothing so I concluded it had to be my processor so I ordered a I k processor along with a compatible motherboard got it installed and boom same Pc turns on then off shit AGAIN I went through removing all the ram gpu and disconnecting everything but the motherboard and psu and still NOTHING I was told by my local pc repair shop their is nothing they can do for me anymore Setup st processor I k st motherboard Don't remember but I used it for years prior to this happeneing nd processor I k nd motherboard MSI Z GAMING ATX Motherboard - LGA Socket Anything else needed just ask

http://www.pchelpforum.com/computer-diy/129727-pc-turns-then-off.html
Relevancy 29.67%

Hello,

My problem is that when ever I try to reformat my PC It turns off. I have it set up to boot to the CD drive. It starts going through the process of checking my system config, then it just shuts down. No error message no warning it just turns off. If I continue to try after the 3rd or fourth time it just turns off after I boot to the CD. I can boot into the system just fine so long as I dont try to reformat. Please help!!! I am using XP pro

A:PC turns off

please mention which operating system u r using.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/pc-turns-off.801368/
Relevancy 29.67%

Hi there, I have been having a problem with my PC where it will not start-up at all and just turns on for two seconds then off then on etc. This computer was built by myself and was the first one so I wouldnt be suprised if I set it up wrong or something, here are the specs:

Windows Vista 64-bit
Intel Core 2 Quad 2.33Ghz
2GB DDR3 RAM
GeForce 8400 GS 512mb
500GB SATA HD

Thanks for any help in advance.

Relevancy 29.67%

i just brought a new pc and it arrived yesterday was working great yesterday but i turned it on today and it turns on for about seconds then off for about seconds and then back on and stays on however when this happens none of off does on then then nothing PC turns on and the usb sockets work my keyboard and mouse dont light up and then monitor dosent PC turns on then off then on and does nothing revive a signal ive tried using these on my old pc and they work fine i have tried re plugging the psu and making sure all wires are secure but no luck i also tried unplugging it for about minutes and holding the power button for minute while the pc has no power to it also i changed the power cable unfortunately they don t work weekends so i can phone for support until monday any help would be greatly appreciated alioramus k NEW Alioramus K OC Ghz Shipped Customizations CPU NEW Intel Core i K Ghz Included CPU Cooler NEW Xigmatek HDT-S Included Operating System Microsoft Windows Home Premium -bit Included Motherboard Gigabyte Z AP-D Included Memory NEW GB Corsair mhz Vengeance x GB Hard Drives NEW Corsair GB Force SSD S-ATAIII Gb s Included Optical Drive x DVD RW DL S-ATA Included Graphics card AMD Radeon HD GB Sound card Onboard Audio Included Case Zalman Z Plus Included PSU W Xigmatek Warranty Year Platinum Warranty Included nbsp

A:PC turns on then off then on and does nothing

Unplug your PSU from the back and click the power button 5-10 times to discharge. Open your case and, after grounding yourself, take out the battery that looks like a watch battery from your motherboard. Wait 10 min. and put it back in. Boot your computer without the keyboard and mouse plugged in.

Id your SSD a boot or cache drive?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-turns-on-then-off-then-on-and-does-nothing.178249/
Relevancy 29.67%

HELP PLEASE my computer a HP Pavillion s n with mgs ram Very kinda new It is running on an AMD atholon x I get off turns Just no warnings and sometimes Just turns off it shuts off when loading certain programs ALWAYS shuts off when I try to run Second Life Don t think it is heat kinda new puter but it is like pulling plug one second it is on off the next I checked all power and Just turns off things like that It s driveing me nuts below is a HT log in case it would help Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS system nvsvc exe C WINDOWS system WgaTray exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS system wscntfy exe C PROGRA Yahoo browser ybrwicon exe C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe C WINDOWS RTHDCPL EXE C Program Files Hewlett-Packard HP Software Update HPWuSchd exe C WINDOWS system spool drivers w x hpztsb exe C Program Files Hewlett-Packard Digital Imaging bin hpotdd exe C PROGRA Yahoo browser ycommon exe C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C WINDOWS system wuauclt exe C WINDOWS system wuauclt exe C WINDOWS system wpabaln exe C Documents and Settings Sherri JAMES Desktop HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http red clientapps yahoo com cus sbcydsl http www yahoo com search ie html R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http red clientapps yahoo com customize ie defaults sp sbcydsl http www yahoo com R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http att yahoo com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http att yahoo com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http red clientapps yahoo com customize ie defaults su sbcydsl http www yahoo com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http red clientapps yahoo com cus sbcydsl http www yahoo com search ie html R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http red clientapps yahoo com customize ie defaults sp sbcydsl http www yahoo com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http att yahoo com R - URLSearchHook Yahoo Toolbar - EF BD -C FB- D - F- D F - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn yt dll O - BHO Yahoo Toolbar Helper - D -C F - EFB- B - ECA - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn yt dll O - BHO Yahoo IE Services Button - BAB B B- BC- B - D - FC DE A - C Program Files Yahoo common yiesrvc dll O - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - BHO SidebarAutoLaunch Class - F AA - - -B C -A CCDF CBF D - C Program Files Yahoo browser YSidebarIEBHO dll O - Toolbar Yahoo Toolbar - EF BD -C FB- D - F- D F - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn yt dll O - HKLM Run PRISMSVR EXE quot C WINDOWS system PRISMSVR EXE quot APPLY O - HKLM Run YBrowser C PROGRA Yahoo browser ybrwicon exe O - HKLM Run NvCplDaemon RUNDLL EXE C WINDOWS system NvCpl dll NvStartup O - HKLM Run nwiz nwiz exe install O - HKLM Run NvMediaCenter RUNDLL EXE C WINDOWS system NvMcTray dll NvTaskbarInit O - HKLM Run QuickTime Task quot C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe quot -atboottime O - HKLM Run RTHDCPL RTHDCPL EXE O - HKLM Run Alcmtr ALCMTR EXE O - HKLM Run HP Software Update quot C Program Files Hewlett-Packard HP Software Update HPWuSchd exe quot O - HKLM Run HPDJ Taskbar Utility C WINDOWS system spool drivers w x hpztsb exe O - HKLM Run HP Component Manager quot C Program Files HP hpcoretech hpcmpmgr exe quot O - HKLM Run DeviceDiscovery C Program Files Hewlett-Packard Digital Imaging bin hpotdd exe O - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched quot C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe quot O - Extra button no name - B E C - FCB- CF-AAA - C - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/just-turns-off.556252/
Relevancy 29.67%

I turn my pc on, the fans on cpu, video card, a little on the motherboard, power suply fan everything turns on but no video signal and no beep when you first turn it on, what is up?

A:PC turns on nothing happens.

no beep usually means system board and or power supply issue following link may be of use you need to re post your computer specs back computer type etc etc
http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-4Y6LGS.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/pc-turns-on-nothing-happens.556312/
Relevancy 29.67%

Hi Techspot, im hoping you can give me a little assistance with my problem. I have an hp pavillion dv2500 that was running great until today. I had it working this morning as usual and then it crashed with no warning. I pushed the power button to boot it back up and see what the problem was, and the power lights come on, the cd drive boots up, but thats it. It doesn't matter if its connected to the adapter or battery power, and it doesn't respond when i put my windows recovery disk in to try and format it and start over. I hope someone has some knowledge on this because I am stuck. thanks.

A:Turns On But Then Nothing

i am having same problem with my computer. I got my computer from a friend knowing what the problem was and i tried several monitors and same thing turn it on and same thing tower runs but nothing on the screen someone told me it was the video card. I dont know though. Thats why im here because i know i can get a better answer here. Please help us guys. I start school august 1st need my computer for classes. I cant do school work on my phone.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/turns-on-but-then-nothing.149965/
Relevancy 29.67%

Hi I would be very grateful for some expert opinions I have what I think is an over-heating problem My PC switches itself off generally when left unattended It doesn t restart itself just turns itself off and sits there until I power it on again It only happens - times per day Only once has it off itself turns PC happened again quickly after when turned back on - there has usually been a gap of several hours In December I upgraded my RAM GFX card and PSU Everything worked perfectly for at least a month though before this problem started I had an overheating problem before which I solved PC turns itself off by cleaning out the area around the processor which was smothered with dust Doing the same this time though has not sorted things out and the area was nowhere near as dusty anyway When I had my previous overheating problem I also installed a case fan and an expansion port air blower at the back of the PC Specs MESH Windows XP Media Centre Edition Intel Core Duo GHz MB Asus P N SLI SE Deluxe Motherboard Gigabyte GeForce GTX MB GDDR OCZ ModXStream Pro w Modular PSU GB RAM The PC was bought in November So I guess my questions are Is this over heating If not any ideas what is the problem Is it related to my recent upgrade if so why didn t I see problems for several weeks My PC has been heavily used and is often left on for days at a time could it be its just on its way out Can I do anything to fix it Any advice gratefully received I will of course be happy to provide any other details required Big thanks nbsp

Relevancy 29.24%

What would you do in this situation?:

You leave your computer on all the time, and all this time you have had no problems. Starting last month you have found the computer off. This has happened about 10 times. Sometimes you must reach around the case and turn the power switch off and then on before the main boot-up button will work. A few times lately you have found Windows XP in a semi-frozen state (the screen is black and you can do no more than see and move the mouse pointer).

Perhaps I might have a virus? My only antivirus is AVG and my modem is NetZero dial-up. I have backed up my files - next step?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/win-xp-pro-computer-turns-self-off.636841/
Relevancy 29.24%

I have no idea why, but the volume turns down by itself. I always keep it at 50, but the thing drops to 48, then 46, and then lower and so on. Is there any explanation for this?

A:Volume turns down by itself

Quote: Originally Posted by Revol

I have no idea why, but the volume turns down by itself. I always keep it at 50, but the thing drops to 48, then 46, and then lower and so on. Is there any explanation for this?

What keyboard are you using? Does it have volume buttons? I've seen bad keyboard drivers do that on 7.

http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/89556-volume-turns-down-itself.html
Relevancy 29.24%

Why would cause my computer to turn off by itself? It's not hot. I bought the cooling fans. Help

Relevancy 29.24%

Hey all I have strange problem at my work place the computer turns on and off by it self I'm at lost has what is problem and the computer techy at my work place is at lost as well ..

Anyone know why or how fix it ..

Relevancy 29.24%

My computer turns off when ever it wants to. I have no control over it. sometimes it will run for 2 hours, then some days it runs for 10 minutes. Is updating the bios a possible fix?

A:computer turns off when ever it wants to

how long has this been going on? did you make any h/w or software changes at about the time when this anomaly started?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/computer-turns-off-when-ever-it-wants-to-351083.html
Relevancy 29.24%

Hello, I'm new here so I hope I am putting this question in the right place.

In the past week my computer has developed a mind of its own. It will come on all by itself, even when turned off. When I attempt to shut it down I get a message that "other users are using this computer, do you still want to shut down?" Of course I reply YES, the computer shuts down, but then about 5-10minutes later it will startup again. The only way I am able to prevent this from happening is to switch off the power strip that my processor is plugged into.

What gives? Thanks!!

A:Computer turns on by itself

make sure acpi is enabled in your bios. what supply is installed?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/computer-turns-on-by-itself-346788.html
Relevancy 29.24%

Hi guys,

After starting the computer, at no specific time, the mouse will stop working+the screen will turn off and on, sometimes it will turn off completely and you cant turn it back on. 80% of the time pressing the reset button will solve the problem and the computer will work fine again but sometimes like tonight ill have turn the computer off completely at the wall.

The computer is quite old now, about 5 years. Its running XP with AMD Xp1700 and a crappy Nvidia GF4 MX 64mb graphics card. The sound card is a Hurcules Game Theater XP with external control hub. 512mb RAM.

Can anyone shed any light on what might be the problem??

Cheers
Nick

Relevancy 29.24%

when i play zdaemon or duke 3d and i play music on the comp and sometimes even when i dont the computer just fully goes off, its a laptop. when i turn it back on i have to hold down the on/off button and it goes on than back off than i do it again and it turns on like normal. this sometimes also happens when i watch a video on the net. any help of why and how to stop this would be great

Relevancy 29.24%

Hi
My computer does this
1 press switch at plug to on, lights flash on the keyboard
2 Press power on switch on tower
3 Computer starts up for about three seconds
4 Turns itself off
5 pressing power button now does nothing
6 press switch at wall to off
7 Go back to one
I have tried a new power supply unit and this made no difference

I have also noted that if i keep reset pressed whilt i press the power on button the computer runs for around ten seconds before it turns itself off

Any suggestions?

Stu

A:computer turns itself off

You might wanna try the following.
Only connect the mb,cpu,cooler,minimal RAM & vga. So no HD or cd-rom or other pci cards.

Try resetting your CMOS

If you still have it then, (IMO) i think its the motherbord that shortcircuits something.

Greets Crazy,

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-turns-itself-off.9299/
Relevancy 29.24%

Somebody got EZ Eyes keyboards. Now I need help terminating the Power button to the right of F12. I tried changing it to = with SharpKeys. Then I went into Control Panel>Power Options like mentioned below. Its a desktop and the option of "ask me what to do" isn't there. Just Shut down , Do nothing , Sleep or Hibernate.
I've heard about mapping keys but never did it without SharpKeys.

All help is appreciated especially before my cat finds that button. LOL

I did have to go into my Windows properties settings and set it to "ask me what to do" when the power button on my computer is pressed as otherwise hitting the "power" button on the keyboard will cause the computer to be turned off, and I don't want to even accidentally turn off my computer from the keyboard.

A:EZ Eyes turns PC off with 1 key

It was nice seeing the letters on the keys again. But I had to remove EZ Keys and go back to my hard to see MS keybpoard.
THe cat turned pc off twice and I did too because I'm use to that being my Prnt Scrn key.

In a perfect world those 3 keys (Power , Sleep , WakeUp) could be changed to (= , @ , &)

Every suggestion is appreciated.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/39504-ez-eyes-turns-pc-off-1-key.html
Relevancy 29.24%

Seems my standby turns on by itself I put it in standby and went to cut the grass Came back in and it was on Again put it in standby went to the store and when I came back it was on Possible virus trojan infection Sometimes it has a bubble above itself? turns on Standby by the internet icon in the taskbar saying the internet connection is not on Just out of curiosity left it on again a few hrs later it turned on by itself Never did it before no new programs in months ran spybot adware norton antivirus CWshredder have spywareguard and spywareblaster installed All updated and nothing was found file of HijackThis v Scan saved Standby turns on by itself? at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccProxy exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccSetMgr exe C Program Files Norton Personal Firewall ISSVC exe Standby turns on by itself? C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared SNDSrvc exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared SPBBC SPBBCSvc exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccEvtMgr exe C windows system hpsysdrv exe C HP KBD KBD EXE C WINDOWS System spool drivers w x hpztsb exe C PROGRA DATACA FLashKsk exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe C WINDOWS System RUNDLL EXE C Program Files MSN Messenger msnmsgr exe C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe C Program Files SpywareGuard sgmain exe C Program Files SpywareGuard sgbhp exe C Program Files Norton AntiVirus navapsvc exe C Program Files Norton AntiVirus IWP NPFMntor exe C WINDOWS System nvsvc exe C WINDOWS system slserv exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared CCPD-LC symlcsvc exe C Program Files Norton AntiVirus SAVScan exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared AdBlocking NSMdtr exe C Program Files HiJack this HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http us hpwis com R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http srch-us hpwis com R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http srch-us hpwis com R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www pa net R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http srch-us hpwis com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http srch-us hpwis com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http srch-us hpwis com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http us hpwis com O - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Reader ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO SpywareGuard Download Protection - A E - F- - B - B DDD DB - C Program Files SpywareGuard dlprotect dll O - BHO no name - - F - D - - D F - C PROGRA SPYBOT SDHelper dll O - BHO Freedom BHO - E D-C B- D -B C- E A - C Program Files Zero Knowledge Freedom FreeBHOR dll O - BHO Norton Personal Firewall - ECB - F - bbc- D- DDF E - C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared AdBlocking NISShExt dll O - BHO NAV Helper - BDF E -B - AD-A -FADC B - C Program Files Norton AntiVirus NavShExt dll O - BHO no name - FDD B - D - ffb- - B AD ACC - c Program Files Microsoft Money System mnyviewer dll O - Toolbar amp Zero-Knowledge Freedom - FA B -F - - C - E ED - C Program Files Zero Knowledge Freedom BandObjs dll O - Toolbar amp Radio - E - F- D - E- A C - C WINDOWS System msdxm ocx O - Toolbar Norton Personal Firewall - B EAC - D - b e- B -A C A A - C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared AdBlocking NISShExt dll O - Toolbar Norton AntiVirus - CDD BF- FFB- - AD - DF B D - C Program Files Norton AntiVirus NavShExt dll O - HKLM Run ... Read more

A:Standby turns on by itself?

See this link -
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32rbotex.html
about this item in your log - O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [USB] C:\WINDOWS\system32\usb.exe
I use my USB a lot and haven't got that entry.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/standby-turns-on-by-itself.358012/
Relevancy 29.24%

Yesterday afternoon I turned my PC off, then tonight when I got home I found that my PC had turned itself on.
Anyone know how this happenned? I have a Gigabyte GA-7S748 Motherboard, Athlon 2600XP, WinXP.
If this is some setting on the PC, Is there a way to configure when it turns itself on? This would be a handy featue that I would be able to utilise if configured to turn on at the right time.

A:Computer turns on by itself

Some BIOS do have a power on timer setting.

Also if the Wake On Ring is enabled, the phone ring is detected by the modem and wakes the computer.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-turns-on-by-itself.211678/
Relevancy 29.24%

My laptop is an HP Pavilion dv I know OLD This problem only USUALLY happens once or twice a month Before I believed that the computer had froze and would just restart it Today while streaming an archived webcast the screen went blank It did not go completely black seeing how the back light was still on and During off Turns Display Use I was still able to adjust the back light intensity The webcast was still playing the laptop was still on making same old sounds that it was indeed still running I was reading about similar problems online but did not get a chance to test any of the simple fixes Instead of turning the laptop off this time I merely closed my laptop lid and waited for it to switch to Display Turns off During Use standby mode After a few seconds I opened it back up and my screen was back to normal Does this sound like something is only l ose within the chassis and is affecting the connection for the screen Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Display Turns off During Use

have you made sure that your video card drivers are up to date? also can you post the Product number on the white label on underneath of the laptop?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/display-turns-off-during-use.1099169/
Relevancy 29.24%

Hello, when ever I turn on my computer it always turned off right after it passes the bios screen. I'm trying to install Xp it boots off the cd and gets to the part where you choose the spot to install it then without me doing anything it turns off. It is fine when you are in the bios settings it never shuts off in the bios. Any Ideas?
History: Just replaced the DC Jack. Before that I have not used the computer for a year. Has vista installed on the hard drive because I was using it in another computer but I want to install xp on it. bios settings are default

A:Computer Turns Off

Does the hard drive still have Vista installed?
Have you tried formatting the hard drive with a 3rd party utility (to include deleting all the partitions and then recreating them)?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/161196/computer-turns-off/
Relevancy 29.24%

Hi everyone, I was working on my sony pc when all of the sudden it just restarted as if i had just turned it on. I remember it had happened before, so i just waited for it to restart but this time it would get to my wallpaper and then the blue screen where it says windows is loading and it keeps restarting. it wont let me log in. I am running on windows XP and have not installed any programs or hardware lately. I have also tried running in safe mode but it gives a lot of directory lines. I dont know what they mean. i also just tried to started up again right now and it gave me a dark blue screen that said error : Bad_Pool_Caller. Can someone please help me??? I dont know much about computers

-Thanks

A:Computer Turns off

Hi Happy1323, and welcome to BleepingComputer.Do you have the installation disk for this computer, it you do use the disk to access the Recovery Console.Note: You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order to be able to boot from the Windows installation disk.To run the Recovery Console from the Windows XP startup disks or the Windows XP CD-ROM, follow these steps:1. Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.3. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the]Recovery Console.4. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.5. At the command prompt, type chkdsk /r , and then press ENTER. 6. To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/211702/computer-turns-off/
Relevancy 29.24%

This is one of the strangest things I have ever seen I have an HP Elitebook p and recently updated my Windows to Windows Now when I have certain windows open and focused it's always different sometimes it's chrome sometimes it's the control-panel and so Backlight turns off on there is no clear pattern the backlight of the screen is completely turned off - when I take a torch and point it to the screen or hold it to a bright-light source I can see there is still a picture there you can even work or better said you cuold if you'd see anything When Backlight turns off I tab to certain other windows the screen goes back to normal back light - I can then tab back to the other window and the backlight will be turned off again I have no idea what's going on and also no idea what information you need The display-adapter I got is the AMD Radeon HD M - I tried updating to the newest driver but that didn't help Any help is appreciated Here's a video of the whole thing

A:Backlight turns off

It almost sounds like a switchable graphics issue and that would point towards a graphics driver issue in general. So, I did some research and I noticed the latest driver download (directly from AMD) is not compatible with a switchable graphics configuration:

Moreover, I was really confused when I tried to locate your graphic drivers and I found they were all Intel versions based on your model number.

Select a product - HP Support Center

Anyway, good luck in resolving your issue.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/33849-backlight-turns-off.html
Relevancy 29.24%

My computer turns off and on and off and on I thought I needed some utilities or something so I bought Norton Systemworks I have scanned for viruses etc Fixed lots and on and turns off off on Computer and of stuff But when I try Norton WinDoctor Wizard and scan the Windows Registry ActiveX com sections the scanning seems to get stuck on a CLSID A -D - - - BOD CA Then the computer shuts down and goes to a black and white screen that says Reboot with CD If I turn the computer off manually at that point then back on Windows XP will start up Then I get a message about quot Computer turns off and on and off and on Error Computer turns off and on and off and on loading C Windows Bxxs dll quot If I say OK sometimes I then get or three of those Microsoft Computer turns off and on and off and on send don t send messages Finally this whole process takes about minutes I am able to log on The other scans work fine and as long as I am actively using the computer it doesn t seem to shut down But if I go answer the phone or take a break for too long again the computer turns off and on and off and on Can anyone help me nbsp

A:Computer turns off and on and off and on

Jordan1

I would suggest you download a copy of Grisofts FREE Anti-Virus program.

http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php

More than once it has found problems on my system that Nortons missed.
You can also do a free virus scan here, http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Doc

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-turns-off-and-on-and-off-and-on.276678/
Relevancy 29.24%

Well i start the laptop up, and it decides to turn it self back off, it does this about 1-5 times, and sometimes it doesnt do it at all, im not sure if my battery is low, and it turning it off. Any idea's on how to fix this?

Info
My laptop is:
Windows xp - Professional
Service pack 2
Version 2002
Make - Packard Bell
Thanks.

A:Laptop Turns It Self Off.

Look in the Event Viewer and see what errors are showing up at the time that this is happening. Each error will have its own date and time shown.Start> right click on My Computer> Manage> Event Viewer.On the right side of the page you will see the options Applications, Security, and Systems, double click on Systems. There are eight columns on this page, the three that you will want are Type, Date, Time, and Event.The errors will appear in the Type column, they are red dots with a white X inside of them.Warnings will appear as a yellow trinangle with an exclamation mark inside.When you see an error, double click on it and see what the description is.Please post the error code/s found in the Event column and the descriptions back in this topic.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/160935/laptop-turns-it-self-off/
Relevancy 29.24%

every time i tried to play a game after a few second (10-15) of loading the game my monitor turn off n the only way to get it back is to restart my pc .......any ideas off how to change the settings in control panel to fix the issue???

thanks

A:monitor turns off

If all games and not just one
Lots of possible reasons in no particular order

Does your system meet the specs for the game?
Do you have latest drivers for your motherboard and video card?
Adequate power supply?
Overheating?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/monitor-turns-off.370492/
Relevancy 29.24%

I have noticed recently that the main computer in my house is turning itself on. I tried shutting it down normally, and holding the power button to turn it off, but 5-10 minutes later, it's back on again. It's a Compaq, running windows XP. It's connected to a wireless router.

A:Computer Turns Itself On

Go into thew BIOS, and make sure that 'wake on lan' or something similar is disabled. Otherwise, everytime it gets a ping from the router, it will start up. Wake on lan is used to remotely start a machine, but can't be used these days really by the home type computer exactly because of that reason.

Scorp.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-turns-itself-on.406979/
Relevancy 29.24%

hi all,

just bot a dell optiplex gx110. when i hit "start", then "shut down", the computer automatically turns itself off. therefore my power strip (which worked fine with my prior towers) can neither turn off nor turn on my dell. any ideas?

A:dell turns itself off

Thats the way ATA power supplys work. All the newer systems work the same way. You will need to use the front power button on the system to turn it on.
You can try setting the AC power recovery setting in the systems bios to ON. Then the system should boot up when power is supplied.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-turns-itself-off.407018/
Relevancy 29.24%

I am using Windows XP sevice pack 2 and my computer just shuts off when I use certain programs (virus scan etc.)
Can someone please help me in finding the problem?

A:Computer Turns Off By Itself

Can you be a little more specific on what programs and a little more descriptive? Are there any error messages, does the screen go blank or just freeze?
Mark

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/108446/computer-turns-off-by-itself/
Relevancy 29.24%

Hi all I hope you can help with this problem I bought a new laptop a Dell with a K screen but a CPU and GPU that aren't really powerful enough to be in a laptop with a K screen This was a week ago I used it last weekend laptop itself off turns New and it turned itself off twice on Sunday -- both when trying to New laptop turns itself off launch a game New laptop turns itself off I haven't switched it on all week but did tonight and watched a little Netflix then left it idle A few minutes later it just died again this wasn't a power saving option automatically turning it off Looking at event viewer there are critical instances of shutting off without a clean shutdown One was on Sunday night which I don't remember But I have a vague memory that it completely locked up and I held the power button down And I think when it came back on the desktop layout was a bit different Any ideas on what I can do to find out the problem It was bought brand new from Dell and I am planning on returning it anyway as I find the K a pointless and counterproductive gimmick at this spec and I wonder if the strain on the CPU GPU is what's causing the dying It's an Inspiron i - U Windows my first experience with Windows I'm not a fan AM Radeon M GB GPU Intel HD Graphics onboard GB RAM TB HDD This may be a problem for a separate thread Also today I made a Dell factory settings restore disk on USB mostly to return it without my stuff on it and left it connected after completion After a while the USB disconnection sound played and I get a message saying the device has malfunctioned and cannot be read I have disconnected and reconnected it a couple of times and same thing

A:New laptop turns itself off

Hi mediahero& Welcome to the forums ^_^,

Kindly follow the instructions below and upload the ZIP file so that the problems could be analysed -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

Let us know how it goes ^_^

-Pranav

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/582457/new-laptop-turns-itself-off/
Relevancy 29.24%

So I brought my computer back from school and it wasn t working It looked like a motherboard problem so I replaced it and it started working for awhile Then it started to work intermittently Soon on... Computer turns sometimes it wouldn t start at all Computer turns on... sometimes My next step was to test the power supply which was dead I bought a new one and hooked it and everything was working again After a day or two the computer would only turn on every once in awhile For example I ll play games on it for a couple of hours and it ll be fine Then I ll turn it off and come back to it the next day except it wouldn t Computer turns on... sometimes turn on at all I ll leave for an hour or two and won t touch it come back and it s working like normal again What the hell is up with my computer Components replaced Motherboard RAM PSU I also shorted the power switch to ensure that wasn t the problem either The only thing I can think of at this point is that the power supply or motherboard failed AGAIN nbsp

A:Computer turns on... sometimes

CPU fan, power switch, wiring harness, defective optical drive interfering with the rest of the system, defective case fan, defective cable socket... Could be something simple and inexpensive if you find a tech experienced with tracking down weird problems in a computer.

Good luck. Let us know how it all comes out.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-turns-on-sometimes.175160/
Relevancy 29.24%

Hello there I ve had a problem lately with my computer turning itself off at seemingly random intervals I ve had it suggested to me that my problem may be Mobo heat-related GPU or funky RAM Having looked at each of these issues in detail I cant single out a possible cause for my situation I can go between five minutes and two days without a turn-off its truly random My CPU AMD Athlon X Processor my Video card Nvidia GT Gigs of ram in four MB sticks My psu is a Dynex -Watt ATX All drivers up to date I was told by a friend that it sounds like graphics Computer turns self off card Computer turns self off failure However I have noticed no artifacts or other hints that my video card may be failing I investigated each ram stick and reseated it My GPU is running at a modest celsius under load And overall my case temperatures are well within safety shutoff limits The shutoffs seem very random in nature as mentioned and occur during anything from opening a Youtube video to a crash during Starcraft installation I ll be glad to give any more information as needed I ve had this problem for about two weeks now Thank you in advance nbsp

A:Computer turns self off

Have you had a look at the Event Viewer Logs? May be they can offer some clues.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-turns-self-off.150923/
Relevancy 29.24%

Ok this one has me completely stumped. My computer does this neat trick in which it can turn itself on and off at random. Yeah it's old and probably senial at this point. It's a Pentium 2, 350 mhz. I tried replacing the power cord, plugging it directly into the wall, replaced the power supply, replaced mobo and processor and still nothing has solved it. I don't know what else I can do or what could even be causing it.

Any ideas what could be causing it???