Windows Support Forum

Laptop Battery Tips

Q: Laptop Battery Tips

Hi guys, I just bought new battery for my dell Inspiron, how do you save or extend battery life, I read that Li-on battery should be at least once in two or three weeks, and it's recommended not to discharge fully, is that true and do you do anything to extend battery life.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Laptop Battery Tips

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Laptop Battery Tips

According to the link below it's bad to discharge a Li-ion battery completely and/or leave it in the laptop when running of the mains. When not in use store at ~40% charged in a cool dry place. Heat is the biggest enemy.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-battery-tips.1080530/
Relevancy 75.25%

Laptop Battery Articles amp Tips A new laptop battery comes in a discharged condition and must be charged before use refer to the devices Laptop Tips Battery manual for charging instructions Upon initial use or after a prolonged storage period the battery may Laptop Battery Tips require three to four charge discharge cycles before achieving maximum capacity New battery needs to be fully charged and discharged cycled a few times before it can condition to full capacity Rechargeable batteries undergo self-discharging when left unused Always store a Laptop Battery pack in a fully charged staged for storage When charging the battery for the first time the device may indicate that charging is complete after just or minutes This is a normal phenomenon with rechargeable batteries Remove the camcorder batteries from the device reinsert it and repeat the charging procedure It is important to condition fully discharge and then fully charge the battery every two to three weeks Failure to do so may significantly shorten the battery's life this does not apply to Li-ion batteries which do not require conditioning To discharge simply run the device under the battery's power until it shuts down or until you get a low battery warning Then recharge the battery as instructed in the user's manual Laptop Battery Tips If the battery will not be in use for a month or longer it is recommended that the laptop battery be removed from the device and stored in a cool dry clean place Be sure to store your Laptop Battery properly Do not leave your batteries in a hot car or in humid conditions The best storage conditions are a cool dry place The refrigerator is fine if you stick in a packet of silica gel with your battery in a sealed bag to keep them dry It is a good idea to charge your NiCad or Ni-MH batteries fully before use if they have been in storage Upgrade my Laptop Battery From Ni-MH to Li-ion NiCad Ni-MH and Li-ion ACER Laptop Battery is all fundamentally different from one another and cannot be substituted unless the Laptop has been pre-configured from the manufacturer to accept more than one type of battery chemistry Please refer to your manual to find out which rechargeable battery types the laptop device supports is supported It will automatically list all of the battery chemistries supported by your specific device If your device does allow you to upgrade the battery from Ni-MH to Li-ion you will typically get longer run time For example if your Laptop uses a NI-MH battery that is Volts mAh and the new Li-ion Laptop Battery is Volt mAh then you will obtain longer run time with the Li-ion battery Example Li-ion Volts x Amperes Watt Hours Ni-MH Volts x Amperes Watt Hours The Li-ion is stronger and has longer run time How Can I Maximize the performance of My Laptop Battery There are several steps you can take to help you get maximum performance from your Laptop Battery Prevent the Memory Effect - Keep the Laptop Battery healthy by fully charging and then fully discharging it at least once every two to three weeks Do not leave your battery plugged in constantly If you have are using your laptop on AC power remove the battery if it's fully charged The newer Li-ions don't suffer from the memory effect however it's still best practice to not have your laptop plugged in charging all the time Power Saving Options - Go into your control panel and activate various power saving options when you are running off battery Disabling some of your background programs is also recommended Keep the Laptop Battery Clean - It's a good idea to clean dirty battery contacts with a cotton swab and alcohol This helps maintain a good connection between the battery and the portable device Exercise the Battery - Do not leave the battery dormant for long periods of time We recommend using the battery at least once every two to three weeks If an Laptop Battery has not been used for a long period of time perform the new battery break in procedure described above Battery Storag... Read more

A:Laptop Battery Tips

Nice, very detailed You might want to mention that some of the newer Li-ions don't suffer from the memory effect, at least anywhere near as much.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f84/laptop-battery-tips-213548/
Relevancy 58.91%

Hey guys I need some tips on how I can prevent my battery from draining so quickly it only lasts about an hour and a half to 2 hours and I want it to last longer, like 3 hours I;m using a Lenovo IdeaPad N586, if this helps

A:Battery Saving Tips

First query my friend is how old is the battery cos you know Lithium ion's deteriorate from the day they are manufactured even if not used.

Second what power settings are you using?

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/291970-battery-saving-tips.html
Relevancy 58.91%

Hello I bought a Lumia 521 and it is delivering to me!!
Before i start using it what are the tips to have a good and healthy battery!!
How should i charge, usage and all the tips that won't ruin the battery fast!!
btw i googled it but can't find anything about lumia phones at all!!!

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/443533-battery-tips-lumia-521-a.html
Relevancy 58.91%

I use my laptop in class for notes a lot. I need to have at least 2 hours of battery life. When i was on vista i would be able to get about 2 hours and 20-30 minutes of battery life. Now that i upgraded to windows 7 over the weekend, today i got only about 1 hour and 5 or 10 minutes. why such a drastic change?

so far i have the setting on power saver mode and bring down the brightness to a little more than the lowest setting. anything else i can do or adjust. thanks

A:Tips to Get the Most Battery Life

turn off the Wifi card... install the power manager from the laptop manufacturer, it may give you more options. Check if BIOS has additional options.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/32304-tips-get-most-battery-life.html
Relevancy 57.19%

Friends,

This query may sound kinda 'odd' but I thought of it giving it a try all the same.

It is my ol' trusty Fujitsu Siemans Lifebook S 4546, the P3 one.

It has Win XP Pro as the OS.

Now the battery is dead a do do, it wont boot or start at all.

I have ordered a new lap top battery but being XMAS, no action until after New Year.

And right now I am in dire need of some urgent files on the HD.

So the question is-
is there anyway we can get it started, perhaps some guyz have some tricks n tips up their sleeve.
Pls share that with us. Wil apprec that a lot.

Thx a lot and a Merry Xmas to all.

Cheers

Relevancy 50.74%

I new bog w laptop please don't just it 7, with got want tips to down, a had my old laptop probably years and just got a new one from best buy created recovery disks and changed a few keyboard settings After days finally able to connect to thepld xp to transfer files just got a new laptop with w 7, don't want to bog it down, tips please I want to install programs that I use and need to install disc for my camera but dread that over time installing programs may slow it down like just got a new laptop with w 7, don't want to bog it down, tips please it did xp Is there a good dl software site with safe programs without shareware Right now I just want a good free photo resizer I want to add my music and photos but wonder if it would be best to add them as needed via my zip drive And using IE since it came with w but like chrome Just don't want any unessasary hiccups Right now using month macafee free but wonder if a free antivirus like avast is sufficent I'm just looking for the best way to keep new computer safe and fast Thank you for all help Ian

A:just got a new laptop with w 7, don't want to bog it down, tips please

The slow down is generally most noticeable when the drive becomes fuller it becomes slower. It's just how it is. This is part of the reason people are moving up to SSD's despite the premium price on them.
one thing I would run on a store bought computer is this though.
Crappy PC No More! | The PC Decrapifier

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/187228-just-got-new-laptop-w-7-dont-want-bog-down-tips-please.html
Relevancy 50.74%

Well Im definitely a gamer, especially when it comes to WoW, but I need a new laptop, and money is definitely an object, im not to sure what gaming laptops go for here and there, so I just figured Id hit the forums for the first time...
I wanna stick it under like $800 (not sure if thats a lot when it comes to buying laptops, im a usual desktop gamer). But yeah, not looking for much besides decent battery life, nice resolution widescreen and WoW-able hardware. Any tips on where I should go with this?

A:Looking to buy a new laptop. Any tips?

In this price range, you'll probably be able to find something with Mobility Radeon ATI 5650 + Core i3 or i5 (depending on other specs). I am thinking about getting rid of this notebook (i.e. 1125-EM) and looking at this. I am no big fan of HP but haven't been able to find any other reasonable deal so far. May be you can look for something similar in your area.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/looking-to-buy-a-new-laptop-any-tips.155689/
Relevancy 50.74%

Battery Issue - Lenovo V570 (Laptop) - Battery Model L09S6Y02

First off I for the most part do not use the battery. It is normally detached from the laptop. I only attach it to periodically charge it and test prior existing charges' performance.

O.K. here is the problem. I attach battery attachment, computer does not make it to the window screen more often than not. When it does, it freezes at the please wait loading screen.

I rarely use the battery at all, but I want all my equipment up and functional. It's life should still be good for I periodically recharge it. I think since I've had the laptop I've only recharged it a total of 6 or 7 times and that's been a year or so.

A:Battery Issue - Lenovo V570 (Laptop) - Battery Model L09S6Y02

jonasdatum said:

Battery Issue - Lenovo V570 (Laptop) - Battery Model L09S6Y02

O.K. here is the problem. I attach battery attachment, computer does not make it to the window screen more often than not. When it does, it freezes at the please wait loading screen.

I rarely use the battery at all, but I want all my equipment up and functional. It's life should still be good for I periodically recharge it. I think since I've had the laptop I've only recharged it a total of 6 or 7 times and that's been a year or so.Click to expand...

I, for the moment at least have the battery working power adapter attached. What did I do? I uninstalled Avast (freeware version) ?

I learned from prior experience that running two of any system utility software can cause problems, but it normally restricts itself to what it is protecting. Then I remembered: "If you remove the possible whatever is left however in probable must be the truth."

Next phase of testing is test the battery on it's own.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/battery-issue-lenovo-v570-laptop-battery-model-l09s6y02.1089994/
Relevancy 50.31%

Hello there I have Battery.. 1YearOld at battery Laptop left. 20% off powers unexpectedly an one year-old ASUS K S Laptop Windows Home Premium bits GB Ram and HDD At Laptop powers off unexpectedly at 20% battery left. 1YearOld Battery.. the beginning my battery lasted gt hours in Balanced power mode which is the one I alway use and now due to regular use it last about hours Everything normal until here About months ago i started playing this game in full screen with the battery on and it last about - minutes until it reached the low battery warning left I would then plug the power on and resume the game charging the battery as well After a few weeks the warning stopped appearing in the desktop and the computer automatically hibernated left with the game still on So i plugged the ac power on and resumed the game right away This kept happening from that moment on every time i played the game it would reach battery left and hibernate for itself whereas it should appear the low battery warning at left where I would plug in the ac power and charge the battery without going into hibernation On top of that my sister kept stealing my ac charger for charging her Toshiba Satellite as she often forgets her own charger at her workplace Now at the present day when the battery reaches about - left the laptop power off unexpectedly as if I had pull the battery off of the laptop It must be from all those time it would reach left with the game still on that quot tired quot the battery and now it won't even last further than left It might be a problem with the battery or the ac charger that my sister used in another computer Both the battery and its respectively ac charger are the ones that came with the laptop Can someone please tell me what is causing my year-old laptop to power off for no reason at all when battery has just remaining Do I have to buy a new one or what Regards conhaqu

A:Laptop powers off unexpectedly at 20% battery left. 1YearOld Battery..

Hi there .. Do you have Power4Gear Installed ... If so i would look into the Settings for that could be a power plan so save Battery life ... It should also be able to tell you your Battery's Health status ... I have no idea how good this Program is could be total crap ...

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/322529-laptop-powers-off-unexpectedly-20-battery-left-1yearold-battery.html
Relevancy 50.31%

my battery was giving 1.5 hour power backup from last 4 months... then last month it decreased to 1 hour...from couple of days it decreased to 1/5 hour(with error 'Consider replacing new battery') and yesterday i was using on battery power... and battery had 34% power remaining.. suddenly battery indicating light turns orange and pc shutdown... after that.. my pc is not charging battery... and if i run pc on battery.. it work 10 to 15 minutes ( with orange light.. and on task bar.. battery icon giving error "No battery is detected" ) and then shut down.

today i run laptop on battery power and open setup..and there was error "No battery installed" in battery info...

what happened.. can anyone tell me????

i forgot to tell you that... according to battery's LEDs.... my battery is healthy enough.. but now only 1 led is working...

A:My laptop running on BATTERY and giving error 'No battery detected'

Your battery has failed and must be replaced. They're only good for three or four years. Happens to all laptops.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/238716-my-laptop-running-battery-giving-error-no-battery-detected.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Hello I ve been using a Dell inspiron from about years now and exactly after years of my buy the battery failed and it started showing me to battery charge! Bought battery still and dell my doesn't laptop a new replace the battery and always notified me about contacting dell for a new battery Bought a new dell battery and still my laptop battery doesn't charge! I didn t take this of much concern so i just ignored the message and kept on using my battery with my adapter plugged in After - months of such usage My battery completely failed and doesn t Bought a new dell battery and still my laptop battery doesn't charge! even offer me even a minute of backup when i remove the power socket Then i realized the importance of a new battery and then bought a new battery from Dell Its the same battery with the same specs and also the same family type After i removed my defected battery I replaced my new bought Dell battery and realized that my battery is working fine its charging well but at some time it says quot Plugged in But not charging quot Which is rare for any new battery which is bought brand new This is how it looks now after i remove the AC adapter plug and when i depend on the battery backup it is providing me a backup but I see a yellow exclamatory mark beside it Which I think should not be present it also says quot Low battery quot when there s already of battery left I ve also followed some online steps updated by BIOS to the latest nbsp Followed some other steps like uninstalling the battery ACI in the device manager and etc i would love to get this problem solved I m using a PA- family adapter which is also a replaced one So any help on solving the issue would be appreciated THANKS

A:Bought a new dell battery and still my laptop battery doesn't charge!

Hi Utkarsh. I Actually FIXED this problem months back. and I exactly want to help you on this so that you can fix it yourself too..
the problem which is creating your battery to show an exclamatory mark is your power settings.
so follow these steps to get rid of that sign and a perfectly working battery.
1) Click on your battery icon (left click) you should see an option called " More power options" at the bottom of the popup.
click "More power options"
2) Now you will be taken to your control panel where you can see all of your power plans and under each plan, you will see an option called "Change plan settings"
3) Click on "Change plan settings" for your active power plan. Now you will get redirected to another control panel window, where you can see two kind of power options to get adjusted. that is, when you battery is plugged and when your battery is unplugged.
4) Don't touch those options, just click on "Change advanced power settings" at the bottom left of that window. THIS IS THE AREA WHERE WE NEED TO FIX!
5)After you click on "Change advanced power setttings", you will see a POWER options popup, go to the bottom and then you can see something called "Battery" with a plus sign on the left. click it.
6) Now you just have to change the levels for the following values
                   --> Critical battery level ( you can change it to 10%)
                   ---> Low battery level ( you can change it to 20%)
Now once that's done, YOU WILL NO LONGER SEE THE EXCLAMATORY MARK ON YOUR BATTERY!!!!
So I hope this works!
Reply me back when you've succeeded fixing it.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19465162
Relevancy 50.31%

It's so strange. Today when I turned on my laptop, suddenly, there was a message that my battery has problems so the computer might shut down suddenly. I tried different strategies, like uninstalling the battery driver, or letting the computer completely die. When it turned off itself at 6%, I turned it back on, and it was at 2 minutes battery life. Then in a few minutes, it said 4 minutes battery life for 6%. Now, it's passed an hour, and it says 3 minutes, but changes sometimes to 1-4 minutes. The battery meter is completely wrong, and I don't know what to do since it is closing the computer way too early. I'm still not sure what the problem is. Please help me.

A:Laptop Battery Meter is Completely Wrong and it says there's a problem with the battery

How long have you been using the laptop with battery? Is it still under warranty?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/471577/laptop-battery-meter-is-completely-wrong-and-it-says-theres-a-problem-with-the-battery/
Relevancy 50.31%

Ok this might be easy..it might not (COMPAQ M2105)

I ended up replacing my motherboard for a model with more features (SD readers blah blah).

I took it all apart and put it all back with the new board in...now when i go into windows (and even before while booting)...the orange lights would come on for a second...then beging to flicker

while in windows...it just will either not charge the battery..or flicker from AC to battery

i CAN power the unit on with the battery alone, and i CAN power the unit with the cord alone...

lastly, my old motherboard (which had a HD connector problem)...still WILL charge the battery...so i'm sure its not the battery...i don't think...

i also dont' think its the AC adapter since it is the same piece I used on both motherboards.....

what to do................

A:compaq M2105 laptop - battery will not charge, flickers from AC/battery

Hopefully you are experienced in working on and repairing laptops/notebooks... and you carefully handeled the replacement motherboard and didn't damage it. Repairing laptops takes considerable skill and caution.

It does sound like the "new" motherboard is bad unfortunately. How did you handle the "old" operating system restore to the "new" motherboard?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/compaq-m2105-laptop-battery-will-not-charge-flickers-from-ac-battery.81237/
Relevancy 50.31%

Hie

My hp laptop had its battery flat for 12 hours. After that the laptop can nolonger boot up or charge. Please help

A:HP laptop cannot boot up or charge battery after battery went flat for 12 hours

What is the model of your laptop?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-laptop-cannot-boot-up-or-charge-battery-after-battery-went-flat-for-12-hours.186087/
Relevancy 50.31%

I need to buy a new Laptop for High-School. But I'm very unsure on what computer to buy. Anyone got any ideas?

I need the computer mainly for school-work, but also for gaming, watching movies and listening to music.

Criteria:

- Light-Weight
- Battery must be good
- Must be sturdy
- Cost Around 1 150 USD
- Built-in wireless network
I'm looking at an Acer Aspire 5920G at the moment, and may buy it if no replies.

( Also, how long does a 6-cell battery charge last? )

A:Solved: New laptop - any tips?

I'm not sure about the sturdiness, the battery lasts 3 hours (maybe less while gaming or watching movies), it has wireless capability, and it weighs 9.2 pounds, but here is one I came across:

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops/gateway-p-6831fx.aspx
And specifications:
http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops/gateway-p-6831fx.aspx?mode=specs

You should be able to get it for cheaper than the above web site says since it is a few months old; I saw some prices for it that you might find acceptable at other web sites.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-new-laptop-any-tips.737973/
Relevancy 50.31%

Hey. Normally what I do to speed up my Windows 7 laptop is:-System Defrag-CCleaner-Msconfig(manage my startup items)I've recently switched to Windows 8, and it's getting slow already. The laptop's not old at all.Did my usual clean up, not much effect.Any tips on more ways to speed up my laptop?Thanks.

A:Tips on Speeding Up Laptop

1) Do not us msconfig to manage startup items. Msconfig is a diagnostic utility. You should use a dedicated app such as autoruns to manage startup items.2) Ccleaner does NOTHING to effect system performance3) Exactly WHAT is slow?

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,150125.0.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Ive been using a laptop for 1 year now and im going to completely restore my system because my laptop has become kinda slow.

Wich programs should i install?, i just want to install necessary things because i want to keep my laptop as fast as possible, here are some of the programs im looking forward to install.

- Avast Internet Security
- K-lite codec pack (i watch a lot of movies on my laptop) yify-torrents.com if anyone is interested.
- Winpatrol
- CCleaner
- utorrent
- Internet download manager
- itunes

This are pretty much all the programs i use on my laptop, i would really appreciate if you guys could give me some tips or tell me to remove one of the programs from my list if its going to affect my laptop?s performance.

Thanks.

A:Tips to keep my new laptop as fast as possible

9/10 It's not what you install, It's how you use them and manage them that counts.

For example: If you have Utorrent sat constently in your taskbar, uploading/seeding to other torrent users, Then your pc will slow down a little, mainly your Internet connection.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/275919-tips-keep-my-new-laptop-fast-possible.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Few pointers if you are looking for a new laptop

Picking Out a Laptop in the Brave, New World of Tablets - Yahoo! Shopping

A:Tips on selecting a laptop

Hi there
Interesting read - I don't agree that Netbooks are a dwindling species.

I've hardly used a full size laptop in nearly a year now -- but I use the Netbook nearly all the time -- it's great for creating any sort of Power point presentation, EXCEl spreadsheets etc etc --all of which are exceedingly horrible if not downright impossible to do on a tablet.

I also LOATHE touch screens too so I certainly won't be in the smart phone or tablet market any time soon.

The netbook can plug into a decent size monitor allowing applications like Photoshop to be run decently when I'm connected to the remote server with the Photoshop CS5 application on it and by using Virtual CD / DVD software I can copy ISO files to the netbook and play DVD's too.

I HATE having my screen filled with 100's of those little tiny squares called "Apps" -- I prefer a totally UNCLUTTERED workspace, and I don't bother with any of the social networking sites and I HATE the whole idea of TWITTER.

Also a small laptop / netbook IS MUCH MUCH better if you use Instant messaging - that's why most Blackberries STILL have proper keyboards on them.

I never did like texting -- with Instant messaging I think Texting eventaully with its horrible abbreviations etc etc will be on its way out in the not too distant future. Instant messaging - a much better idea I'm sure will replace a lot of emailing too.

(Another advantage of instant messaging over texting is that it uses the Internet so you don't pay for nr of texts sent or characters submitted").

So although in some ways an old Dinosaur I do like modern technology when it actually offers me something useful -- Tablets to me are a step BACKWARDS.

Cheers
jimbo

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/160581-tips-selecting-laptop.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Here's a few tips on saving battery life.

longer-lasting-laptop-battery-bnet: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

A:Tips on Laptop Batteries

Another thing worth mentioning, is that when your original laptop battery gets to the point where it won't hold a charge for very long...be prepared to not only buy the extended battery (if you can), but prepare to pay a sizable amount of money on the legitimate mfg's battery. Don't be fooled by all of the cheaply made Chinese knockoffs that you can get for 1/3 of the price that are floating around on eBay and Amazon. These often don't quite fit right, and they don't last long and they don't come with long warranties.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/180709-tips-laptop-batteries.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Recently I noticed that the amber LED on my HP Probook 650 G1 flashing constantly, even when the laptop is powered off.   The System Tray battery indication is 100%, fully charged, when on AC power and 100% on battery power shortly after undocking.    I find the Probook won't power up if AC power is not available (no response when pressing power button) but remains powered when I remove it from the docking station.    Have the electronics that control this LED flashing and power up when not on AC gone bad?    Is this an indication of other failure? thanks

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/laptop-won-t-power-up-with-battery-but-battery-is-fully/td-p/5655982
Relevancy 49.88%

I am becoming more and more concerned about my laptop's battery each and every passing day. When I check the bottom right of my computer screen to check if my computer battery is completely charged, it says "0% available (plugged in, not charging)". I have had to buy two new batteries because of the same thing and they also read "0% available (plugged in, not charging)". When I unplug my laptop from the power source, it turns off automatically. I cannot even bother calling Dell to check this issue for me because I bought this computer off the street for $35.

My question in general is how do I get this problem fixed and how do I keep an eye on how my laptop computer charges correctly (or not)???

A:General Question about laptop battery charging AND 0% battery

Some reading and testing for you

Why is my Laptop battery not charging? – Drivers.com updates

Laptop Battery Not Charging | PCWorld

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcDvp2A7Fss

The common method is:
- Create a System restore point
- Uninstall (Under the Batteries category in Device Manager) the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery.
- WARNING: Do not remove the Microsoft AC Adapter driver or any other ACPI compliant driver.
- click Scan for hardware changes

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/371230-general-question-about-laptop-battery-charging-0-battery.html
Relevancy 49.88%

HP g - b us Notebook PCHere is the situation LED charge whi... battery charging battery shows and not Laptop and symptoms nbsp Battery not charging Battery icon indicates battery being charged but it sits at Have bought a replacement HP battery and that battery will not charge also it sits at which I assume is the initial charge it came with nbsp Run the HP Support Assistant and both batteries fail the test saying that cell is bad cells to have charge but cell has a reading even in the new battery Is there a problem accessing charging Laptop battery not charging and battery charge LED shows whi... cell When the battery is installed and the AC adaptor is unplugged and the laptop is turned off the battery charge LED shows a white LED red amber indicates that it is charging the battery now the only time the LED goes out is when the battery is physically removed Before the problem began the battery charge LED would be off when the battery was installed and the charger was not being used Now the battery charge LED goes off only when the battery is physically removed What I have tried Cleaned the contacts Bought a new HP battery Tried the complete discharge method of turning the laptop off removing the power cord and battery and holding the power on key for over seconds Have done safe restarts Reset to HP recommended settings Suggestions recommendations

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Laptop-battery-not-charging-and-battery-charge-LED-shows/td-p/5806061
Relevancy 49.88%

Hi out cuts battery power, on laptop battery good my girlfriend in Beijing has an Acer Aspire S latop She bought a new battery for it laptop cuts out on battery power, battery good a while back and told me it was no good I was in Beijing recently messing around with it and found that actually the battery is fine lasts for gt hours but when unplugged and running on battery power the laptop often just cuts out suddenly loss of power I took the battery out and had a look and cleaned all the connections but they seem fine The next part is the strange part and which I hope might give someone a clue as to what s going on When it cuts out it will never restart again unless the mains power cable is plugged back into the laptop As soon as that s done and the power button is pressed it starts up again and the cable can be taken out immediately I mean immediately - you can plug the cable in push the quot power on quot button and pull the cable back out in less than a second and it will start up and run fine on battery again until the next time it suddenly cuts out without warning Because any unsaved data is lost and because the laptop cannot restart without the power adaptor this very portable and light laptop is now reduced to having to be kept at home all the time and plugged in which is exactly the opposite of what she bought it for Anybody have any idea what the problem could be or suggest some tests that could be done to find out She took it to a local computer shop but the guys there had no idea Thanks in advance for any advice nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-cuts-out-on-battery-power-battery-good.1164783/
Relevancy 49.88%

Hi i have a XPS M dell laptop and bought a new battery wich came charged to the instructions said that i should discharge the battery to and then chargeit to for first time I used the laptop withouth cord until it was then i plugged it but the amer light that should battery testing of of or port need dell a i help a Hi, a battery laptop appear it is not when i plug the laptop with the battery installed then i check the energy administrator i have xp Hi, i need help testing a battery or a port of battery of a laptop dell and lubuntu and it both was the same and it said quot charging quot but it stayed in i let it more than hours plugged but never charged the battery it is still in and the light of the battery doesnt turn on I dont know if the battery is bad because it worked when had charge or is maybe the laptop that is not charging Is there a war to check if this port is charging electricity to the battery i have a multimeter and i know how to open this laptop Any information would be helpful as i havent been able to found information on this and also is there a way to know with the multimeter if the battery is allowing energy to charge it i hope you have understood im still klearning english thanks for your time nbsp

A:Hi, i need help testing a battery or a port of battery of a laptop dell

Testing the DC jack on a laptop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrsUsyxzk1M

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hi-i-need-help-testing-a-battery-or-a-port-of-battery-of-a-laptop-dell.1131320/
Relevancy 49.88%

Hi Guys,

I have replaced the battery of my laptop after using it on AC supply for about year after my old battery died.

I get this error message.
"The AC power adapter type cannot be determined
Battery may not charge.
This problem might be solved by:
Connect a Dell 65W AC adapter or higher."

But I am using a 65W Dell Adapter that I got with my laptop.
BTW, I tried the steps for disc AC >> Start>>Uninstall MS ACPI >> Insert battery>> Restart. This process did not yield any favorable results.

Please help!!!
Thanks,
Nitin

A:Replaced battery on laptop, Battery not taking charge.

If you take the battery out and just use the adapter, will the laptop boot up without errors?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/340766-replaced-battery-laptop-battery-not-taking-charge.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Hi,
Find 14 easy ways to prolong your laptop battery life and find more Laptop, Processers, Hard Drives, Desktop PCs, Anti Virus and User computers at a good price in findnearyou.com Findnearyou.com

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-battery-life-14-easy-ways-to-prolong-your-laptop-battery-life.741541/
Relevancy 49.45%

Hey all running Tips better thats for laptop my DC++ performance for Through a somewhat unlikely Tips for better performance for my laptop thats running DC++ sequence of events i wound up running the main hub for DC at my uni campus off my poor laptop Thankfully the maximum number of users had been about and on average its about - so there isn t many and my laptop is powerful enough to run it without that many issues However i have noticed my computer being a bit slower and was wondering if anyone had tips to improve performance a bit and make my laptop run a bit smoother This is the DC website http dcplusplus sourceforge net This is website of the hub software I m using to run it http www ptokax org The programs just sit minimized in the system tray place next to the time and don t bother me so it s more tweaks or optimizations for windows I m running XP media centre that I m interested in I m an intermediate computer user but any server stuff i really have no idea about so any tips websites etc would be much appreciated Cheers nbsp

A:Tips for better performance for my laptop thats running DC++

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic53669.html

while some of these are for windows, some are more generic.
Of course more ram always helps and a faster HD.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/tips-for-better-performance-for-my-laptop-thats-running-dc.88049/
Relevancy 49.45%

Hello techies...

I need some help. Currently I have this laptop.

http://global.acer.com/products/notebook/tm4400.htm
Acer 4400 Travelmate

The only difference is that mine has 1.5 ram. Now I am wanting to replace this laptop for a better one. Basically, I game on my laptop. I play some real time war games and online role playing game called dark age of camelot. I'm really interested in something faster and really interested with something with a dual core. Will a dual core benefit a person that is mainly going to game with the laptop? Any recommendations? I'm looking at a $400 - $700 range if possible.

Relevancy 49.45%

My daughter killed our ancient HP with XP it is very infected and hijacked despite antivirus malware programs and the MANY hours I've spent learning about all this amp trying to fix it laptop kid's tips protecting & a Programs over the past year A combo of them both being years old I think For Christmas our family gave her a HP TouchSmart Windows bit with trial McAfee Programs & tips protecting a kid's laptop Live pre-installed and it's got to survive until high school This site has taught me a Programs & tips protecting a kid's laptop lot BUT I'm in over my head big time and at the point where Programs & tips protecting a kid's laptop the more I read the more confused I get and the less I know- I surrender Could somebody please advise me The best anti-virus malware spyware for a kid who loves to go on minecraft servers like minecats mod sites skin sites regular minecraft watch youtube videos and download art from deviant I read all the top reviews on PCMag and it is confusing as the best ranked poorly in areas like malicious URL blocking and I think that's a big weak spot for her use If I even knew what her online weak spots were I could go back through for an informed choice I'm leaning toward Trend Micro Norton or continuing McAfee How do I make security program s allow the minecraft back and forth use of Skype but block peer to peer Or are these peer to peer I am confused on what is peer to peer what how to tell good remote access from bad and how to make my software and firewall recognize what's ok and what is not Is one good security suite package enough or do I need separate anti-virus malware spyware firewall What do I not even know I have to know to protect her and the laptop I have coached her on safe AND smart internet use but it's all the hidden sneaky backdoor things out there like random IP's trying to breach our firewall that McAfee keeps picking up Thank you very very much

A:Programs & tips protecting a kid's laptop

To answer your questions... (these are MY personal opinions only - I'm open to discussion)1. There is no "best" AV software - Moderator quietman7 can give you more information.Personally I recommend Emsisoft Anti-Malware, ESET NOD32 or Kaspersky Anti-Virus.And yes, you do need additional AM protection. My personal choice is Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM). Emsisoft Anti-Malware is also a reliable AM software.2.- Peer-to-peer programs are like BitTorrent, uTorrent, LimeWire etc. Basically they allow you to download files by getting bits and pieces from other people downloading the same thing - and this makes P2P downloads one of the greatest source of malware infection.- If you wish to allow some programs and block others, the answer is a firewall. You can use the Windows Firewall or a third-party firewall.My recommendations for a third-party firewall are Comodo Firewall (remember to uncheck Install Comodo Antivirus) or ZoneAlarm (remember to uncheck the spyware blocker toolbar option).- If you need help telling good software from bad, you can ask here in BC.- To make your firewall recognize what's good and bad, you can add Exceptions to the good ones and let the firewall blocks the baddies.3. To use one security suite or multiple software depends on what you use - generally I use one suite and fill in the suite's weakness with independent software. Personally I use Kaspersky Endpoint Security with MBAM.4. Moderator quietman7 can give you some additional recommendations on this.My notes to her:- Install an ad blocker for her browser - it'll keep her safe from malicious ads in addition to keeping those annoying things out.- Use Web of Trust. The add-on can give her a general idea of what's good to use and what's not.- Grinler's tutorial on online safety can help her a lot.Stay safe, surf safe!Alex

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/564395/programs-tips-protecting-a-kids-laptop/
Relevancy 49.45%

hi there
I have just bought an acer aspire 5741G laptop that has intel core i3-350m (2.26Ghz) processor, 4GB ram, ATI HD 5470 dedicated graphics, - so expected it to be pretty fast. But at present it is slower to load up or to open firefox than my previous ancient 800mhz desktop with its 256MB of ram - feel it may be the vast amount of stuff running as processes - but afraid to delete anything i shouldn't.

can someone point me in the right direction as a newbie where I can start to clear out things that are slowing it down?

A:New laptop slow - some tips required

i am using acer notebooks since 2005 and to tell u the truth, they stuff more junk lately than in the past 5 years. get yourself a portable Revo Uninstaller software, and delete stuffs that you don't need. but the most important part is the startup folder.

if you're using revo, go to the 'tools' and autorun manager and check stuffs that you don't need. alternatively you can run msconfig and go to the startup tab.

if you're in doubt just post a screenshot.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-laptop-slow-some-tips-required.161041/
Relevancy 49.45%

Apart from older features those are also applicable for previous Windows versions some extra feature for the touch pad exists in Windows However in this 7 Touchpad in Windows Tips your Laptop's for tutorial all the features which can be used for more personalization and for ease of use Tips for your Laptop's Touchpad in Windows 7 are being discussed Majority of the touchpads are manufactured ALPS Tips for your Laptop's Touchpad in Windows 7 Electric Company Ltd ALPS is the OEM supplier of major market leaders in Laptop computer such as HP Compaq Lenovo Dell etc However ALPS does not support directly to the end users by providing the firmware or software So we have to upgrade the program manually by visiting drivers download page of our Laptop manufacturer or update automatically by automatic update software Such as HP Total Care A typical touchpad of today s laptop looks like this ALPS touchpad The two buttons left click and right click buttons are generally placed in the lower portion making it ergonomically difficult to use However we will learn the techniques using them we don t have to use these buttons at all Now about the settings Nearly all laptop except Dell s few models use this software interface which allows users to do practically many things through single touch interface Dell s those high end models supports two finger touch interface Despite having the same hardware we can not use Dell s software to use that feature tested by author in HP Compaq and Lenovo Laptops for educational purpose Nothing to worry about we will tweak the touch pad in a way that it becomes easy to use Click the touchpad looking icon right top in the screen shot this will bring this program Nothing to change in the above screen shot Buttons Click pointer option and make it fast as you like Now click Gestures Assign the left corner from the drop down menu as Shortcut Menu Click Apply Now tapping that area of touchpad will work as right click button To test tap the area while the pointer is on any empty place of desktop you may find some difficulty in the beginning but gradually your hand will set well For more advanced settings click setting You can set the speed as well here Now about a different thing tell me how you evoke the stack in the taskbar Right click over it right I am showing you other two ways As we just learned just move the cursor over any running program and gently tap over the right top corner it will work as right click and provoke the stack Another geeky way is to hold the left click button while the mouse cusor is over the running program in taskbar and gently pull it upwards it will provoke the stack The way the animation appears is a bit different from right clicking because a specific set of dll and associated CSS scripts works for it It was developed for specific HP tablet PCs but any how the dll has not been removed Other things you can try Opera browser supports gestures You can assign drawing a half circle for page reload for example I think you will be more happy now with your touchpad after reading this article Read more http thecustomizewindows com ixzz JfDYLjQB Under Creative Commons License Attribution Non-Commercial No Derivatives Original source The Customize Windows

A:Tips for your Laptop's Touchpad in Windows 7

Very well done. I can even follow it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/102821-tips-your-laptops-touchpad-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 49.02%

I bought this Kensington 120-watt power supply and boy do I like it. It was cheap (under $30 on ebay including shipping) and of excellent quality and works great both in the car and at home; but, I can't find a place to buy extra tips. The tip number I would like to find is the N19.

Even Kensington tells me they are out of them.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-tips-for-this-universal-laptop-power-supply.861271/
Relevancy 49.02%

hi
is there any tips to raise performance in mini laptop and windows 7 ?
thank's in advance

A:is there any tips to raise performance in mini laptop a

Check this out http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/11728-speed-up-performance-windows-7-a.html?filter[2]=Performance%20Maintenance

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/57752-there-any-tips-raise-performance-mini-laptop.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Thanks for reading this ??battery battery Laptop calibration?? issue i have never posted anything in my life but i am stumped and need some help I got a dell inspiron and one day i was running it while it was Laptop battery issue ??battery calibration?? pluged in and i unpluged it and the laptop just quot Bloop quot shut off i tried turning it back on but nothing just as if i had no battery in it at all when i pluged it back in it fired up like normal i checked Laptop battery issue ??battery calibration?? the battery meter and it said full then charged up to full but still it wont run off the battery as soon as i unplug it it shuts right off Someone told me to run the battery calibration but my bios doesnt have an option for it at least i cant find it i know it has it somewere because when i first bought this laptop the screen was broke and when i bought a new one for it and booted it up it said i had to run the battery calibration befor it could start quot not sure why quot but i did watched it drain and charge so i know it's in here somewere do you think this would even help Also i think i updated the bios so it might have had an older bios witch might have had the battery calibration and the new one i put on doesnt It has verison A now i tried quot downgrading quot to A and A but it doesnt let me Says i have a newer verison and cannot install an older verison Stinks this problem kinda takes the quot Mobil quot feature out of a laptop Any help would be Awesome

A:Laptop battery issue ??battery calibration??

i'm afraid the battery calibration program is only used to initialize new Li-Ion batteries which need to be prepped with an initial charge-discharge cycle.

It sounds to me like you have a battery composed of 32 (probably AA sized) cells.
One of those cells has died and hence you see only 97% charge. Unfortunately losing a single cell prevents current from entering or leaving the battery so your battery will not discharge correctly therefore shutoff without discharge.

I think you need a new battery. Although it may be possible to replace the single bad cell, other cells may be degraded also - if one cell failed, why not others? unit could have been exposed to heat etc.

Although I was an engineer for Gould, I am not a battery expert!

good luck!
Simon

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/109826-laptop-battery-issue-battery-calibration.html
Relevancy 48.59%

Hey,

I run my laptop without a battery, just use the power adapter from the mains, to put strain upon the battery and the power adapter, which I have found to produce excessive heat when the battery is charging.

Also, I have the air vents fully unobstructed and make sure their clean by blowing with air by lung power :P

The power settings have been changed to maximum CPU state of 99% to reduce the temperature of the CPU (from what I've heard).

Anyone know any other good tips?

A:Laptop Temperature - Reduction Tips? (Without Cooling Pad/Fans)

Here are some screenshots (: The temperature is with Google Chrome (Windows Seven Forums) open.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/249156-laptop-temperature-reduction-tips-without-cooling-pad-fans.html
Relevancy 48.16%

My girlfriend just brought her laptop to me and said can you fix this? Looks like she dropped it pretty hard on a corner and the screen is shot, the housing and hinges look good, can anyone offer any adive before i start messing with this laptop. Ive build a dozen or so desktops but have never really messed with laptops. Any advice or help would be greatly aprreciated.

Thanks,
Lucas

A:Looking to replace broken LCD screen on Compaq 700 series laptop. Any Tips?

Easy to do

Its not a complicated item to change.. You will need a T-9 Torx driver.. Pull the rubber pads off the Bezel.. (all 5 4 small corner and the one long center top) Then the rest is downhill.. If you need a screen I have one here..
Ken

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/looking-to-replace-broken-lcd-screen-on-compaq-700-series-laptop-any-tips.19537/
Relevancy 46.87%

Ive been doing alot of researching lately and come up with the following things that ive been mixing around with. Now wondering if there is any breach or thing that i missed with these stuff
Spoofing my routers MAC with a new adress every day. Unknown device number + new unique external IP
Spoofing my PC MAC every startup and also the netbios name/pc name
Spoofed my User agent to unknown string and name
Changed DNS server to fix possible ISP leaks
HTTPS when possible and behind a VPN server with no logs kept saved
Ghostery addon
Adblock plus
BugMeNot on new webpages
DuckDuckGo search engine with https
Is there anything more that i could use to keep my privacy online for myself as much as possible

A:[Hiding your PC online] Tips + need tips

Is there any Flash cookie/zombie cookie that could give traces back to me when browsing like this?
Anything more that i haven't thought of. Noscript worth having too or does my current "setup" cover the whole package on hiding identity

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/495108/hiding-your-pc-online-tips-need-tips/
Relevancy 45.15%

Since i bought a new laptop E7270, is it allowed to use my power adaptor my old Dell E6420 also for the new one?   If so i can use one adaptor at home and another in office and dont need to carry the power adaptor always.
Will this impact the battery performance of the new laptop?

A:If it is possible to use the power adapter of E6420 for my new laptop E7270? Will it impact the battery of the new laptop?

If the connector fits (it may not - the older systems use a much larger barrel connector than many of the new ones), AND the power (wattage) is equal or greater, yes.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19984388
Relevancy 44.72%

Hello there I have an one year-old ASUS K S Laptop Windows Home Premium GB Ram and HDD At the beginning my battery lasted gt hours in Balanced power mode which is the one I alway use and now due to regular use it last about hours Everything normal until here About months ago battery Laptop at powers laptop unexpectedly 20% off problem: i started playing this game in full screen with the battery on and it last about - minutes until it reached Laptop battery problem: laptop powers off unexpectedly at 20% the low battery warning left I would then plug the power on and resume the game charging the battery as well After a few weeks the warning stopped appearing in the desktop and the computer automatically hibernated left with the game still on So i plugged the ac power on and resumed the game right away This kept happening from that moment on every time i played the game it would reach battery left and hibernate for itself whereas it should appear the low battery warning at left where I would plug in the ac power and charge the battery without going into hibernation On top of that my sister kept stealing my ac charger for charging her Toshiba Satellite as she often forgets her own charger at her workplace Now at the present day when the battery reaches about - left the laptop power off unexpectedly as if I had pull the battery off of the laptop It must be from all those time it would reach left with the game still on that quot tired quot the battery and now it won't even last further than left It might be a problem with the battery or the ac charger that my sister used in another computer Both the battery and its respectively ac charger are the ones that came with the laptop Regards conhaqu

A:Laptop battery problem: laptop powers off unexpectedly at 20%

Do you still need assistance with this issue?

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/322523-laptop-battery-problem-laptop-powers-off-unexpectedly-20-a.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Hello ...
I have had a Toshiba C850-A965 laptop for 4 years
and it's been working perfectly
untill one day recently, a message poped up saying that there's something wrong with the battery and should be replaced, but it was still the same, works for an hour and a half approximately
But, I went ahead and bought a new battery, the message disappeared
and i fully charged and then started the laptop
it worked for about 15 mins and then it shut down ( like u took the plug off from a desktop computer) without any warning
when i turned it back on, it was still fully charged !!! and the shutting down happend again and again :(
the old battery is still working fine
so that must mean that there's nth wrong with my laptop right? and the battery is bad?
please give me your opinions
thank you for your precious time

A:laptop battery problem, laptop shut down suddenly

Could still be a faulty battery. It can read the correct voltage off load, but as soon as you put a load on it, it takes a dive. The battery status symbol is just that, a symbol. The only foolproof method of proving it is to replace it with a known good battery. Do you have any good friends with a similar laptop ?

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forum/helproom-1/laptop-battery-problem-laptop-shut-down-suddenly-4606017/
Relevancy 44.72%

Hi problem: detected" battery is "No Laptop battery everyone My laptop battery seemed like it had loads of life left in it but one day Laptop battery problem: "No battery is detected" it just suddenly stopped working and my laptop started saying quot no battery is detected quot I contacted the insurance people and they came over to check that the battery was dead and that it wasn't a problem with my laptop itself They confirmed that I just needed a new battery and sent me a new one Now with the new battery in it is saying the exact same thing quot no battery is detected quot and only working off power from the charger If I take the battery out and then put it back in again the laptop says quot plugged in and charging quot for a few seconds before switching back to saying quot no battery is detected quot and completely ignoring the battery I know that the problem must be with the laptop and not the battery so does anybody know how I can fix this problem Thanks

A:Laptop battery problem: "No battery is detected"

Hi and welcome to TSF please try removing the battery and the ac adapter and hold down the power button for 45 secs then try booting with the battery alone

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/laptop-battery-problem-no-battery-is-detected-644309.html
Relevancy 43.86%

I have just received a replacement battery for my Toshiba Satellite L laptop which I Won't On Now Turn New Laptop Battery - Laptop Solved: purchased from a preferred seller on Ebay When I put Solved: New Laptop Battery - Now Laptop Won't Turn On it in the laptop to charge and use the computer while it s charging the computer will not even turn on I contacted the seller and this is what he replied quot We are sorry to hear that the battery did not work well No problem for return and you will get a full refund if we receive your return within days of the purchase date However before the return please check Solved: New Laptop Battery - Now Laptop Won't Turn On the following Make sure that your power adapter and electric outlet work well Make sure that the connection part between battery and laptop is clean If not please clean and try the battery again Many new batteries need several charge to reach the full capacity If it is a newly received battery please recharge several times to allow the battery to its full capacity If you recently upgrade your operating system to windows it may cause the battery not charge Please go online for a solution for your specific laptop model Please check your laptop manufacturer s website for a BIOS update Recently a few customers reported that the Bios update solved the problem having with their battery If none of these steps works please return the whole package to the following address by USPS Priority or UPS ground And please include the order receipt or shipping slip in the return package We suggest that you use a delivery confirmation to track the shipment so that the return is confirmed Upon receiving the return we will process the refund in business days quot I have checked to see that all connections are good and I have not recently upgraded operating systems Now what I am wondering is should I check into the BIOS update or should I just consider this a lost cause and return the battery I realize that buying an original Toshiba battery would have been a better choice but I was just trying to save some money Please advise Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 43.86%

I have an HP Probook 4540S.

I don't use it that often and when I put it away, I make sure the battery is at 100%.

Today, I went to use it, and it would not power on.

I plugged in the A/C adapter and it powered up and showed the battery at 0%.

I called HP and they said that is normal and if I'm not going to use it for more than a week, to remove the battery.

I went to the HP forum, and they said just the opposite- The Mod said it has to be a software problem or a crappy battery.

Which is correct and would removing the battery when not using it be okay?

Thanks,

Paul

A:Laptop battery draining when laptop is shut down

Batteries do lose a certain percentage while being shutoff, usually 2-3% but it can be higher. The battery could be completely normal or it could be going bad. Typically this is from heat or poor charging habits (don't worry, everyone does it).

Here is a link to help you better understand laptop battery usage:
BatteryCare - Proper laptop battery usage guide

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/343379-laptop-battery-draining-when-laptop-shut-down.html
Relevancy 43.86%

I ve got a Sony Vaio PCG-GRT P laptop that I just recently got a new battery for The old battery had reached the off is Laptop Laptop Charge Battery Doesn't if end of its life only lasting for about - minutes if I was lucky Anyway I got a new battery but Laptop Battery Doesn't Charge if Laptop is off it was not the original Sony battery it was a comparable one of a different brand for less then half of the price of the Sony When charged it lasts a good hours no problem but doesn t seem to charge when the laptop is off Yesterday I turned it on it said it had remainng I charged it for about minutes and then it read Upon unplugging it it again read but with another minutes plugged it it went up to and stayed there when unplugged I should also note that I ve reformatted the computer so it only has Sony drivers that the device manager said I lacked Was the lower priced battery too good to be true or is there an easy fix to this problem Appreciate the help in advance Zach nbsp

A:Laptop Battery Doesn't Charge if Laptop is off

a bios update is often needed when using a different battery than what the laptop was designed to use, and since you bought a generic battery, i highly doubt that Sony will provide support of any kind for it.

Check Ebay for actual Sony brand batteries (not another generic), you can get them on Ebay for 1/2 (or less) the price that you would pay in a store or from Sony

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-battery-doesnt-charge-if-laptop-is-off.43551/
Relevancy 43.43%

The tips I got with this Kensington 33197 power adapter have numbers stenciled on them like N3, N5, N19, etc. The tips sold on their web site make no mention of the "N" numbers and have numbers like K20059, K20050, etc. and there is no cross reference.

You can also see a complete reference for "N" numbers to all the laptops they support at the above link. Again, no mention of the numbers Kensington uses on their site.

I need a cross reference for these kinds of numbers.

Kensington referred me to their telephone tech support; but, there is a language or cultural barrier that prevents their understanding what I need.

Does anyone know of such a reference?

Relevancy 43%

Hi,

I bought my laptop about a year ago, and back then it was absolutely amazing. But with time it has become slower, and I'm wondering if you could help me with some tips on how to make it run faster in games like Borderlands 2, Minecraft and Watch Dogs.

some of my specs are:
Intel Core i7-4700M
NVIDIA GeForce 780M
x1 SSD 125GB (Main, windows installed here)
x1 HDD 1,5TB (Secondary, steam, games etc installed here)
Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Please tell me if you need more information.

A:Gaming laptop getting slower and slower, tips needed

Defrag, clear cache's, uninstall unused programs/games.
Check for dust buildup.
Think about and take a look at the programs you now have versus initially. If they are not needed right away, set them to not auto load with windows. Run as needed instead of always on.

Check the manufacturer site for and update drivers. (Video, audio, USB, ect. )

The more stuff you add, the slower it will get, so trim it back to what you need and it should speed back up.
Also check that your antivirus has a game mode, as antivirus are the largest slowdown of a system.

I guess it is also possible that over time the PSU and hardware can wear down and have trouble performing, but try the cleaning and stuff first.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/gaming-laptop-getting-slower-and-slower-tips-needed.1129220/
Relevancy 43%

After my friend's laptop wouldn't run on battery power OR charge the battery I tried many "fixes."

Shockingly none worked that I found.

Only one thing worked for me to my surprise.

A last ditch effort was to open up the laptop (sony pcg-81114L) and disconnect the cmos battery for a few minutes to reset the CMOS.

To my surprise, when powered on, the battery instantly showed it was charging AND when removing the power plug the battery POWERS the laptop now! (and I'd thought I was wasting my time.)

Worked with an off brand battery also.

Many times this has saved many computers that have odd "unsolvable" things wrong with them.

Surely someone else has done this also but I haven't seen it posted anywhere to my knowledge.

Thank GOD for bringing the idea to remembrance!

A:sony vaio won't charge battery or run on battery power (CMOS BATTERY FIX!)

Hi askfault,
Do you have any information on how this fixes the battery problem? would be interested to know.

Xen

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/511609/sony-vaio-wont-charge-battery-or-run-on-battery-power-cmos-battery-fix/
Relevancy 41.28%

I use my laptop as a workstation
I'd never swap for a workstation - I don't want to lose the portability, even though I only would use this 1% of the time

So: should I use my laptop battery?

I'm assuming, I can unplug the battery and stick the charger in and have it work as normal
OK, downside: if we have an electric fault, then the machine will just go down - whereas if we have a battery, this won't happen

BUT, I'm thinking, the constant unnecessary charging and discharging of the battery is having an impact on its life!

So: it would make sense to leave the battery unconnected?

Am I missing something or what!?

Any replies would be great
OM

Relevancy 41.28%

Okay I m going to ask quite a ridiculous question here but here goes I have a toshiba satellite a x The battery is completely dead On removing the battery I read that the battery model number is PA U- BRS Now I have looked tirelessly for a replacement A lot of sites are poorly reviewed Even by typing in the model number as above my particular laptop has not come under certain sellers list of compatible laptops which I find strange although my laptop is now discontinued oddly However If the model number of the battery is the same as the one I have sat here in front of me surely it must be compatible Also can anyone recommend trusted sites for replacement batteries That doesnt come from singapore Failing that if it is confirmed that the model number of the battery is universal then I ve spotted battery laptop one on ebay I may go for Sorry for the ridiculous question just not wanting to pay laptop battery out and then its not compatible Thanks very much nbsp

A:laptop battery

If the battery you found is compatible with that PA3534U-1BRS part ID it should work with your laptop.

As a check compare the Voltage and Current rating with the old battery, they should be the same. The capacity in mAh can differ though, higher is better. They should both be the same shape too !

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-battery.1073568/
Relevancy 41.28%

Hey everyone. I have a couple of questions regarding laptop batteries. i looked around on how to maintain the battery but never really answered some of the questions i have in mind

When your laptop battery is full is it best to unplug the laptop from the Ac adapter and work on the battery until it needs recharge again??

Or is it better once the battery is full then remove it from the laptop until when actually wanting to use it??

If anyone can answer these questions and provide any further advice on how to keep my battery happy then pls let me know

Cheers

A:Laptop Battery

This link should answer most of your questions
http://www.abatterypack.com/notebook-battery-FAQ.htm#FAQ5

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-battery.515755/
Relevancy 41.28%

my hp laptop was fine till i removed the battery yesterday and used it without the battery when i put the battery back in the laptop wont start unless i plug it into a charger

Hello, remove the the charger and the battery and press the power button for 30 seconds,  then connect the charger and battery back and turn on the unit  #hpexpertday

Regards;SmileyI am an HP employeePlease click the White Kudos star to say thanks for helping.Please mark Accept As Solution if my help has solved your problem.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/laptop-battery/td-p/5627836
Relevancy 41.28%

Have a Toshiba Tecra 9100 that will boot from power adapter but not from battery. But once booted it will stay on and can be used only with a usb mouse. The keyboard and built in mouse and buttons will not work. Have never seen anything like this! HELP!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-battery.647635/
Relevancy 41.28%

All,

The battery on my HP laptop won't come out. The little release slider is in the release position and won't move in either direction, but the battery won't release.

Any thoughts on how I can get this thing out?

Regards,

schills

Relevancy 41.28%

This isnt a problem...its just a thing I did to my laptop battery. To be brief, my laptop has 0s worth of life, and its worth $0.56 more
http://www.tuxtank.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=109
But yeah....in my opinion, dont buy a dell (if you do, buy a warrenty). Mine has a dying screen, dead battery, and hard drive makes a running sound (I can hear it, even if its not doing anything)

A:Best laptop battery....not

Dell is HELL.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/best-laptop-battery-not.523472/
Relevancy 41.28%

I have HP G42 laptop. I need to buy a new battery for it. I called technical assistance team and was told that MU06 6 cell long life battery is compatible with my laptop. But when I checked the devices compatible with MU06 battery, there us no G42 device in the list. Would you please recommend how to proceed further?

A:New battery for HP G42 laptop

Hi @Sruti, Welcome to the HP Forums! I read your post and you had said that currently your HP G42 Notebook is a concern with replacing a battery.  6-Cell 47WHr Lithium-Ion Battery Part number 593553-001 is still available. You can call us. They will be happy to assist you immediately for a location to purchase this battery. Please get back to me how this goes. If you require further assistance let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help.  To show that you are thankful of my post, kindly click the Thumbs up below. Thanks.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Software-and-How-To-Questions/New-battery-for-HP-G42-laptop/td-p/5574429
Relevancy 41.28%

I own an AMS Tech laptop. Inexpensive but it runs pretty good! Although the company went out of business.

My problem is that I cannot get the computer to boot up on its own battery power!

The old battery finally wore out so, the only way I could get a battery for it was to have the old one rebuilt by Fedco Electronics. The battery charges all the way up to 100 %. After the computer is started (while plugged in) I can unplug it and it will run fine on the battery. If I let it sit for a day and try to boot it up on "battery power", it quits after about 0ne minute even though the battery is showing 80% or more! What's up that?

The laptop runs on windows 98, 233 megs. What gives?? Thanks!!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-battery.49404/
Relevancy 41.28%

I realize that I'm in the minority here but I've personally never understood why people put so much emphasis on battery life in a laptop. I've owned about a dozen laptops over the years and probably only used all of them put together on battery for about 10 hours total. I can't think of anywhere I would take my laptop that there isn't a plug nearby and, if there's a plug, I will use it rather than the battery. When traveling in my RV, I use an inverter and on a plane, I use an adapter for power.

Anybody else out there feel the way I do?

A:Where do you use laptop on battery?

At the kitchen table on weekday mornings, about 20 minutes a pop. I plug in the charger on Sunday night so I'm ready to go for another week.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/88671-where-do-you-use-laptop-battery.html
Relevancy 41.28%

I have an Acer Aspire 4740 (laptop) and does the battery get damage if I leave it plugged in while am using it?

thanks

Once I have the battery fully charged, I remove it while I am plugged in.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/99776-laptop-battery.html
Relevancy 41.28%

I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop, anyone know a good place to get a reasonably priced battery?

Theres a lot of very good and reputable places on line that im sure will have the battery you need. i have had to buy a few over the years and was very pleased with the quality of them. i didnt buy the brand name ones but bought the exact match in a generic one and had no problems at all.you might even check with a computer repair place to see if they might have one from a dell model like yours that was recycled because of other problems like a bad motherboard or screen etc.it might be a used one but it could last for years you never know.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-battery.1097707/
Relevancy 41.28%

Hey dont know if this is in the right section but sorry anyway.
Basiclly I have a Dell Inspirion 1545 and I have a problem with the power supply. I have to keep my charger connected to the laptop in order to make it work. Once the charger is removed the laptop switches off. Is this a faulty battery problem not holding any power?
What you guys think?

Cheers!

Relevancy 41.28%

Hello, I'm not sure where to buy a new laptop battery. My laptop is a HP Pavilion 15-n098sa and the battery is 2620mAh 14.8V 41 Wh. I was looking at BattDepot.com but they only have 2200mAh 33Wh. Does the difference in Wh and mAh matter? Anyone know a safe seller of batteries for my laptop? Thank you!

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/New-Laptop-Battery/td-p/5721201
Relevancy 41.28%

I just bought a new laptop, 95% of the time I use it sitting on the couch while watching TV, I use the power cord 100% of that time. If I remove the battery, will it last longer, if it doesn't keep charging up.

it doesn't matter, will you keep it in laptop or not. the battery controller will do all work for you.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-battery.84395/
Relevancy 41.28%

So when my laptop was in stand by and I left it alone unattended my little brother started playing around with and took out the battery while it was on and ever since then it hasn't worked. Does that usually completely break a battery.

A:Laptop battery taken out during use

Does it work with the power cord connected and no battery?

For all you know, your little brother may have shorted the battery with a paperclip or whatever, so the battery may be dead. The computer should be OK though.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-battery-taken-out-during-use.85039/
Relevancy 41.28%

I have a new ibm laptop... windows xp-- the battery started showing a declining
rate of charge over a period of the first two week-- the ac adapter
and battery were replaced by the vendor at ibm's direction and when
I saw it at the store it was showing l00%... It has been plugged in
since I got it home on Monday...it is also connected to a usb hub
today it is at 96%---- so far, there is no explanation for this...

A:ibm laptop battery....

zorbenn said:

I have a new ibm laptop... windows xp-- the battery started showing a declining
rate of charge over a period of the first two week-- the ac adapter
and battery were replaced by the vendor at ibm's direction and when
I saw it at the store it was showing l00%... It has been plugged in
since I got it home on Monday...it is also connected to a usb hub
today it is at 96%---- so far, there is no explanation for this...Click to expand...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ibm-laptop-battery.291906/
Relevancy 41.28%

Sorry if posting in the wrong sub-forum - this was my best guess.

I have a HP G60-244DX Notebook PC. Battery is fried and I am looking to replace. Battery is 10.8V; 47WH; 4200mAh. HP part number 462890-542. Says to replace with HP spare 498482-001.

Question is: I found a replacement battery for this HP series on amazon with following specs:
* Cells: 12 Cells
* Volts: 11.1V
* Capacity: 8800mAh; 97Wh
* Type: This item is an extended capacity 12 cell battery. This battery is physically larger than batteries with fewer cells. Please compare the specs to determine if this battery will be larger than your original.

Will this battery work for me? It is way cheaper than other replacements and I'm note sure why. Thanks very much!

A:laptop battery?

Please furnish a link to the battery on Amazon.

Beware of ultra-cheap batteries. Sometimes they just aren't 'up to snuff'.

I got my last high-cap battery at www.level8technology.com and I am very satisfied. They are members in good standing of the BBB and have a good BBB rating.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-battery.991730/
Relevancy 41.28%

EFFECT OF SUDDEN POWER OFF ON LAPTOP  WITHOUT BATTERY?

A:USING LAPTOP WITHOUT BATTERY

Not good. Same as in a desktop and why do people use UPS'es in places prone to power surge? Laptop has a built in UPS called the battery. I recommend using it. 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/USING-LAPTOP-WITHOUT-BATTERY/td-p/5661087
Relevancy 41.28%

My battery does not hold out as much as it used to. According to HP support assistant i need to replace the baterry so in order to replace the battery I need to know which battery to buy. My laptop is about 3 year old. I was not able to find an exact match for my laptop on the website and i dont want to buy a chineese battery of ebay or amazon so i was wondering if anyone could send me a link or something through which i can get a genuine laptop battery prefarably something which is about 5225mAh. My product number is E6Z92EA#ABV and my serial number is [Personal Information Removed]

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Laptop-battery/td-p/5720802
Relevancy 41.28%

Hey Gang,

I have a LI-ION battery Clevo 87-628S-4E8. It no longer works. It showed a 100% charge but didn't send any power to my system when I turn it on (Dell 620-S). So I replaced it.

The question now is "What do I do with it.?"

Do I just throw it out?
Can it be fixed? If so, where and how much?

What do people do with old laptop batteries?

Thanks,
HULK!

Relevancy 41.28%

Hello guys,

My Boss has a Lenova Thinkpad 510 and his issue puzzles me. His old battery took a crap on him and he had recently purchased a new battery. The old battery before it died was able to hold a charge. He is using the same power adapter as he was using for the old battery which lasted quite a while according to him.

So if he is using the same adapter, and a new battery (the old one did hold a charge before it died) do you suppose this could be an issue with the MoBo? If it is plugged in (with new battery) it stays on just fine but once he unplugs the machine it just dies (turns off).

I can't imagine it being the adapter or power port on laptop...

Is there a calibration setting for batteries?

A:Please Help with Laptop Battery

Is the new battery an official Lenovo-branded one, or a cheap Chinese knock-off?

It's possible that it's a bad battery as well. Does Windows show the battery is charging when it's plugged in?

It's possible that it's the power brick - if the brick/adapter is a lower-end/weaker one, it's possible that it's not putting out enough power to power the laptop as well as charge it, especially during actual work.

No, there isn't a calibration or memory effect for Li-Ion batteries.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f84/please-help-laptop-battery-274141/
Relevancy 41.28%

hello to everyone. i really need your help. i have probook 4540s and it has been working properly, but now it tells me that " 0% available ( plugged in, not charging).i've  tried several methods in youtube to solve this problem, but nothing changed. Now, can you help me? thanks in advance.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Software-and-How-To-Questions/hp-laptop-battery/td-p/5758632
Relevancy 41.28%

My laptop is plugged in but the battery says 0% available (plugged in,not charging)

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/laptop-battery/td-p/5832073
Relevancy 41.28%

Hello guys. I have been looking around to see how long a 6 cell battery should last?
Cheers

Hi and welcome to TSF what is the make and model of your laptop have you checked the system spec this may not be your model but it will explain some points Understanding Lithium-Ion and Smart Battery Technology HP Pavilion Notebook PCs - HP Customer Care (United States - English)

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/laptop-battery-646901.html
Relevancy 41.28%

I have this HP dv7-1243cl laptop for the past 2 years and have never used the battery connection since I am always hardwired. I received a message which said a battery replacement is suggested.

Since I never use this function can I continue to hardwire without any problems.

Thanks

Keeping the battery on A/C power all the time definitely shortens battery life, but if you never take it off the adapter, that doesn't matter. You could remove the battery and the laptop would still run off the brick.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-battery.982963/
Relevancy 41.28%

The question is: OEM, or 3rd party.
I need a battery for my Dell Inspiron 8200.
I found quite a few on Ebay. New, but 3rd party.
Dell wants a rediculous $150 for their's.
The 3rd party batteries are around $55 delivered.
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Joe

A:Laptop battery

New if possible, good deals through ebay (done it before).

If you buy "new" from ebay make sure the seller has a decent warranty ie. 90 day. (found this one for $50)

3rd party or refurbs are fine too, just don't mix the two if you are going for dual batteries.

For either purchase make sure the Voltage and mAh are the same as your original.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-battery.419143/
Relevancy 41.28%

Does anyone here know how long a laptop battery should really last???? I have just bought a Toshiba Satelite A75 226s P4, 3.06ghz, 512 ram, 60 gig hd, running windows xp home. I called Toshiba and they said the battery is running normal at only 60-80 minutes because of the processor speed, All I have been doing so far is my email and surfing a couple forums. I have Norton antivirus and security & spybot and make sure that everything is updated and checked regularily. So if anyone knows if this is really a normal amount of battery time please let me know. Oh (I have the power management set to long life.) and have been to blackviper and did all the tweaks he suggests. The computer is running great but the battery stinks.

That model uses a "desktop" processor chip, not one optimised for long battery life.

The "long life" chipset at the moment would be the Centrino, which uses a Pentium - M CPU at a lower clock speed.

You cant have 3 GHz performance AND long battery life. Most laptop users are not away from the power supply for very long, and those that are buy the hardware suited for the task.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-battery.257387/
Relevancy 41.28%

Hello all,

i just wanted to ask simple question regarding laptop battery. no worries, i wont ask about how to keep em long, just analysis about the battery capacity.

i noticed that many ppl uses different standard to define battery capacity.
there are mWH, mAh, as well as cell count.

i suppose the mWh is equivalent to the voltage of battery times mAh.

so, i wanted to ask, how to determine that a battery of laptop will last longer? since many laptop comes with different voltages. some 10V with 4000mah, some 15v with 4000mah is it going to provide same hours since those batteries have same 4000mah but have different voltage rating?

i hope someone have reference or from the net since i've spent time googling and find no result. i found one said 71W battery 8-cell, others 48.8W 6 cell. while others said 6-cell is usually 4400mah and i do not understand the conversion unit.

A:About laptop battery

The Volt, AH ratings have nothing to do with Useful Life expected from the battery.
The cell count may relate, but the bottom line is the means to create the storage in the first place:

lead acid
nickel-metal-hydride (NiCad)
Lithium-ion (LI-on)
​There's a shelf life that limits the AGE of the battery regardless of V/AH ratings.
See the Wiki on LI-on

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/about-laptop-battery.123488/
Relevancy 41.28%

Hey, sorry if this is in the wrong section, wasn't sure where to post it.

I have a dell inspiron 6400 notebook, it's great, but i don't know about the battery. I just about always have it plugged in to external power source so i don't really need the battery. Should i take the battery out? will it reduce battery life leaving it in the computer when not in use?

thanks heaps!

Originally Posted by grasshoper

Hey, sorry if this is in the wrong section, wasn't sure where to post it.

I have a dell inspiron 6400 notebook, it's great, but i don't know about the battery. I just about always have it plugged in to external power source so i don't really need the battery. Should i take the battery out? will it reduce battery life leaving it in the computer when not in use?

thanks heaps!

Welcome to the Vista x64 Forums

I'd recommend leaving the battery in. Sort of a built in backup power supply. Newer batteries don't develop memories as batteries of the past. You should be ok keeping the battery in.

I hope this helps.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/141010-laptop-battery.html
Relevancy 41.28%

I have an old Compaq Presario model 1456vqlin that I never use on battery power, but it dies quickly when plugged into AC after the battery light flickers. I assume the battery is dead but I don't need it...any alternatives to buying a new battery? Also, the batteries do not seem to be readily available when I do a Google search for them, just some junk on Ebay.
Thanks for your thoughts.

Walt

Relevancy 41.28%

Hi all,
Just had to format my TIME Traveller laptop and now it won't run on the battery.
The charging light doesn't come on anymore. Its as if I've wiped a program out or something.
Any ideas please.
Thanks for your replies.

A:Laptop will not run on battery

Sound like your battery is dead, I am afraid.

With the cheap laptops the price they are now, if you can't easily get a new battery I would think about just getting a new laptop. But consider that a last resort.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-will-not-run-on-battery.21214/
Relevancy 41.28%

May I have some advice here please,It's about my laptop and the battery The laptop is connected to the mains power supply most of the time and use it on the battery now and again,Now to the question is it advisable while the laptop is running from the mains power is it okay to leave the battery in place or would it be best to remove the battery while running from mains.
Hope that I have put the question plain enough.The Laptop is an HP Compaq.

With many thanks

Quote: Originally Posted by flogit

is it advisable while the laptop is running from the mains power is it okay to leave the battery in place or would it be best to remove the battery while running from mains.

Its perfectly fine to leave it in place.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/317929-laptop-battery.html
Relevancy 41.28%

Hi , my laptop battery is starting to die and not fully charge. It so happens the warranty on my laptop just expired a month ago and i will now need to pay for a replacement battery. I have a second newer HP laptop with a spare battery, the battery has the same voltage (10.8V) but the Wh is different. (47Wh) on old laptop and (55Wh) on the newer laptop. both batteries are the same size and both fit. Will the spare battery I have work in my current laptop? or will the different Wh cause problems. Thanks.

A:HP laptop battery

Wh will make little difference, this is the capacity of the battery to store electricity.

The newer battery is a higher capacity battery, should be ok to use it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hp-laptop-battery.906657/
Relevancy 41.28%

how do you know when the battery in your laptop has goes bad.

thanks.

A:how do you know when the battery in your laptop has goes bad?

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I have moved your thread to the appropriate forum.

Please don`t post your computer problems in the guides and solved issues forum.

Also, please use proper thread titles from now on. Thanks.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-you-know-when-the-battery-in-your-laptop-has-goes-bad.57801/
Relevancy 41.28%

hi

I use my laptop as my desktop replacement and it is always plugged in. My question is do I need to remove the battery? does the laptop cut off the current to the battery once it is fully charged? and how will I know which power my laptop is using, battery or the plugged in. and I never unplugged my laptop even after turning it off. I sometimes use the battery and allow it to fully discharge.

Hello dylana
You will probably get a variety of opinions as to what is best.

FWIW I have been using laptops for over 15 years with their batteries left in situ.
None of the batteries needed replacing & all were discharged on a regular basis.

Refer the battery icon bottom left hand side notification area. If it has a "plug" over it you are using power.

Hope that helps.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/237996-laptop-battery.html
Relevancy 41.28%

My friend said it's better to take the battery out while you're using the power adapter because if I keep the battery on the laptop, the battery will be leak sooner.
is that true?
or is it okay to keep the battery on the laptop even though you're using power adapter?
this is my first laptop

A:Battery on the laptop ........

Modern laptops have very "smart" charging systems that should not cause any damage to the battery when its left on power.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/battery-on-the-laptop.319136/
Relevancy 41.28%

Hi all , just received a new battery for my Sony Vaio laptop but I am getting a pop-up window telling me that it is not compatible! I am unable to get rid of this window! any advise?

Relevancy 41.28%

Hi my laptop has decided it no longer wants to operate just on the battery.
It works perfectly on mains,but as soon as I remove the mains lead it shuts down.It will not start without being plugged into mains.
I dont know if I have reset something or if there is a fault with the laptop.
cheers Mark H.

Relevancy 41.28%

Computer: HP Omnibook 6100
Windows 2000

I have been having trouble with my battery for about two weeks. It would say it would be charged and then 20 minutes later, the laptop would shut off without notice. Now the problem is that the laptop does not charge the battery anymore. Someone at work has the same laptop and I took their working battery and put it into mine. It stated on the battery it was half full, but when I put it in my laptop it would not turn on without the AC power. When I plug the AC power it the laptop works fine, but does not charge the battery nor does it stay on if I take the AC plug out. It says "Charging" on the taskbar but stays at the same percent. Sometimes it just switches to AC Power. What could be the matter?

A:Laptop Won't Run on Battery

i'd say that the battery is kaput. gone. dead. nomore. it is an EX-BATTERY. (end shamless monty python impression )

no really, i'd say it's about time you got a new battery as it sounds like it's on it's way out.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-wont-run-on-battery.377022/
Relevancy 41.28%

Sir I m using windows 10,My  question is that,does windows 10 consume more battery than windows 8.1.

A:about battery of laptop

@Akshay1997? If you upgraded to W10 you will see an increase in the speed that your battery drains. This may help to decrease the speed that the battery drains. http://www.howtogeek.com/224501/how-to-improve-battery-life-with-windows-10s-new-power-settings/ REO

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/about-battery-of-laptop/td-p/5832887
Relevancy 41.28%

My 4 month old laptop has a 10 volt 8400milliamp lithium ion battery. If I use it one day and it is fully charged and then switch of until the next day it will take about 30 minutes to charge up again.Is this normal. I have discharged and recharged several times as specified by the manufacturer but this makes no difference. I run solar power at my house and am trying to conserve energy. It runs OK without the battery so could I remove and store it so it lasts longer and how would I leave it, charged,completely discharged warm, cold, frozen. It is not a big problem but one I would like to find more about.

A fully charged battery left inserted a laptop will normally tend to lose about 7% of its charge per day [read that somewhere cant remember where] so after a week it will usually require a recharge to work on battery for any sustainable time.
There is sometimes a battery conditioning application in the bios which can help recondition the battery if it is of an age but as with all batteries the full charge will slowly begin to lose its effective run time.I think the usual recommended lifespan before a new replacement is required is around 3 to 5 years this is not to say they will not last longer just that their charge rate will not be as good as when new.
If you remove the battery it should retain its charge for however long you leave it within reason [a few weeks/months].
The manufacturers website should be a good source of data regarding battery care and storage.Personally Id recommend having two and swapping them around every week or so to extend the lifespan of the batteries as much as possible.

A quick google gives: FAQ on Laptop Battery Products
Lithium-ion battery care

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-battery.279091/
Relevancy 41.28%

I have a high performance lithium ion battery(replaced old battery) bought in June of this year for my HP laptop that I charged fully and discharged 4 - 5 times as told by the directions. After a little use I stored it for about a month and used my A/C cord for at home use. I installed back into computer and it didn't work at all. I turned off computer, took out battery, disconnected A/C plug, reinstalled battery, plugged A/C cord back in and the battery light stayed on for about 30 seconds than went off. I can send it back to manufacture but I just feel that there is something I might be doing wrong to get it going especially with light coming on. Laptop: HP Pavillion zv5320 Babs1

Thanks Howard, didn't realize there was an edit button!

I have deleted your other thread on this subject.

Please don`t open anymore threads for this. Thanks.

Regards Howard

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-battery.56609/