Windows Support Forum

Diskgo Edge external drive. 250 Gb.

Q: Diskgo Edge external drive. 250 Gb.

I have been trying for the past week to get my external drive to be seen by My Computer which is a WIN XP Pro SP I experienced the problem when I changed the IP scheme on my DSL Modem from a xx xx Diskgo drive. Gb. Edge 250 external xx scheme to a xx xx xx so my son s MAC Laptop could get connected I noticed my Diskgo started having problems when I would try to access my files Diskgo Edge external drive. 250 Gb. and I couldn t get to them So I did a reset Diskgo Edge external drive. 250 Gb. on the Diskgo HDD and it s never been Diskgo Edge external drive. 250 Gb. the same When I connect the Diskgo via Ethernet to to DSL modem like it s always been my Internet will drop and I have to reset the modem I have proven this several times to make sure it is being caused by the Diskgo HDD so I have since gone back on the DSL Modem to xx xx xx and disconnected the Ethernet cable and trying to connect the Diskgo drive via USB now Much to no avail I have searched the IE for assistance even from edgetechcorp com and it has been worthless Hope you can help Thank you nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Diskgo Edge external drive. 250 Gb.

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Diskgo Edge external drive. 250 Gb.

Depending on how the drive was configured, changing the IP scheme could cause issues. Having said that, after resetting the drive or connecting via USB should resolve the problem. As it hasn't, I'd suspect the drive is faulty.

Connecting by USB bypasses the network configuration, so the IP scheme of the network is irrelevant at this point. Is the drive properly recognized by the PC when connected by USB? If not, there isn't much you can do with it. You can try another reset. Otherwise, assuming it's no longer under warranty, you could remove the actual HDD from the enclosure and internally install the drive, use a USB adapter, or use another external enclosure to access the drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/diskgo-edge-external-drive-250-gb.1123128/
Relevancy 86.43%

Recently my network storage device has stopped me from accessing folders with the exception of music. All my pictures for the last 11 years are on it and not backed up anywhere else. Cannot find manual and have done reset but cannot remember URL to setup or admin username and password. Doesn't seem to be online and Edge is giving me no help whatsoever.

A:Edge DiskGo 3.5" network harddrive

Ouch if this is a NAS Device or has an IP you can use an app called FIng for your mobile device to find its ip so you can put it in the browser and get to the gui site. If you cant try fing you can use angry ip scanner for winwdows to find its ip.

If you want to try and recover files I would try recuva to obtain any data that has been lost. I am not sure if it is lost or just changed in the mapping.

As most guys will tell you here its very good idea to have three forms of back up. Local, external and online. If you don t know how to use fing or any of the software I duscusses please let me know. I will have links to the downloads below. Goodluck.

http://angryip.org/w/Download
For Fing just type in Fing in either google play or Itunes.
For Recuva: http://www.piriform.com/recuva/download/standard

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/edge-diskgo-3-5-network-harddrive.200015/
Relevancy 51.17%

Hello, Im trying to connect 91z to external monitor via HDMI 91z - DisplayPort 2321x but there has to be some issue that makes it harder than its suppouse to be. ThinkVision monitore is set to display signal from DisplayPort but after all its acting like there is no video signal coming to it. I have read topic about unlocking external monitor in BIOS settings but dont see those options in my 91z. Graphic drivers are up to date but none of tools can activate second monitor in Windows 7. Guys / ladies maybe you have some suggestions how to make it run ? Best regards,Peter.  

A:Connecting ThinkCenter Edge 91z to external monito...

I am a little confused about whether you are using HDMI or DisplayPort (DP), what are the connections on the PC and monitor?    Are you using an adapter or converter cable?   If so, what is the brand and model number.  

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkCentre-A-E-M-S-Series/Connecting-ThinkCenter-Edge-91z-to-external-monitor-ThinkVision/td-p/3450117
Relevancy 50.31%

Hi guys,
I recently bought a Toshiba satellite click mini, tried to use my external hard drive but its not showing up at all. Any ideas on how to fix this?
its a Seagate 250gb hard drive. Thanks in advance

A:Satellite click mini not reconising external hard drive or external DVD drive

Originally Posted by rachel.nickells

Hi guys,
I recently bought a Toshiba satellite click mini, tried to use my external hard drive but its not showing up at all. Any ideas on how to fix this?
its a Seagate 250gb hard drive. Thanks in advance

Is it usb powered? If so does the hard drive spin up? Are there any clicking noises from the drive?

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?83630-Satellite-click-mini-not-reconising-external-hard-drive-or-external-DVD-drive
Relevancy 49.88%

What Microsoft Edge is doing at least from what I can see is that any external javascript ie javascript from any other FQDN that is different from the websites is being code of PrototypeJS Javascript breaks external sandboxing Microsoft Edge quot sandboxed quot to an extent I'm not sure how much it is being sandboxed but Edge will not let you see function code So if you were to do a someFunction toString you will get quot function someFunction native code quot where as in any other browser you would get quot function someFunction args args the functions code quot You can Microsoft Edge sandboxing of external Javascript code breaks PrototypeJS of course run the function but you can't print it out Where this gets to be a problem is with Prototype For subclasses prototype does a toString of a function to see if it has quot super quot as its first argument If it does then it knows to link that with a parent class's function If prototype can't see a text version of the function any subclasses will not work correctly I can't find anything about this on the internet You can't change any security settings in Edge there are not toggles Does anyone know any workaround or do we just have to wait and see if Microsoft will fix this

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/769317b9-318c-40b2-ba4f-7a9d27265e71/microsoft-edge-sandboxing-of-external-javascript-code-breaks-prototypejs?forum=ieitprocurrentver
Relevancy 46.01%

I am trying to transfer approximately 280 GB of data (music) in a My Book (320GB) external hard drive to a Simpletech (320GB) external hard drive using my HP dv9230 laptop with Vista installed. Using the USB ports

Each time I attempt to highlight the files on the source drive and drop into the "new" drive the computer appears to analyze/recognize the information from the source drive and calculate the "time remaining" but it just seems to freeze at that point. No error message, it just appears to stop.

I am not trying to transfer all the data at once I highlight a few folders at a time to transfer.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

Relevancy 46.01%

I have two external drives, one containing the data to be copied and the other to receive the data. The receiving drive already has a little data on it, which needs to remain there.

What is the fastest way to copy this data across?

I tried drag and drop. But the drive A contains 2.7TB of data. My calculations are that the transfer will take about 45 hours!!

Thanks,

Jon

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/384550-fast-copying-external-drive-external-drive-b.html
Relevancy 45.58%

Looking to buy an external hard drive for backup. This will be used only to backup data periodically. This is certainly a good price ($140):

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1474205

I've never heard of it. Anyone have any experience with that brand?

A:Opinions on BeyondMicro External Hard Drive?-or recommendations on External Case?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/opinions-on-beyondmicro-external-hard-drive-or-recommendations-on-external-case.381320/
Relevancy 45.58%

So I want to clone one external 2TB with another. So one drive is the main use one and another the backup one. So I copy everything over to backup and i store the backup at another house and then I start using the main: deleting and adding/editing files. What is the best software or whatever to allow me, after some time, synchronize/clone the externals again without deleting all on the backup drive and recopying? (main to backup) and make them clones again? ..Adding and deleting or replacing any nonidentical files.. Like where i can press a button on some software and it do the work for me.
Sorry if this is confusing

A:Best external to external hard drive synchronized backup plan?

There's a bunch of applications that can do that.

They all work pretty much the same way, but would differ in how easy they are to understand and configure---the interfaces would differ and the help files would differ.

I use FreeFileSync from sourceforge.net.

Others are Syncback, Folder Clone, Karen's Replicator, FBackup, Second Copy, and Synchromagic.

You should be able to configure them to do one or the other of the following:

1: If you delete or modify a file on the "original", it will also be deleted or modified on the backup.

2: If you delete a file on the "original", it will be retained on the backup. If you modify a file, both the modified and unmodified file will be retained on the backup.

It's up to you which choice you prefer. I use the first method, which is often called "mirroring"--one drive is an exact match of the other.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/346288-best-external-external-hard-drive-synchronized-backup-plan.html
Relevancy 45.58%

icon fr the external drive (G) is lost while for other more external drives is ok...it happened after i installed a software n created a virtual ddrive on my computer and then unstalled it...help

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-icon-fr-the-external-drive-g-is-lost-while-for-other-more-external-drives-is-ok.645391/
Relevancy 45.15%

Hi there,

I won't get too deeply into the harrowing saga of how two external hard drives of mine died within days of each other. Rather, I'll just say that I would like to do a virus scan on several external hard drives (including/especially the one I just got to replace the others). In other words, I want to find out if there was a virus or something in the material that I'm putting on the hard drives that makes them die. Could this be possible? If so, how can I conduct a virus scan specifically on the external drives?

Thanks!
Sonya

A:Scanning an external hard drive for viruses? External Hard drive DRAMA!

In My Computer . . right click the external drive and select Scan with { name of AV }

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/scanning-an-external-hard-drive-for-viruses-external-hard-drive-drama-186769.html
Relevancy 45.15%

Hello to all, This is my first post.
Today I found out that Google had limited its search service on Edge by MicrosoftInsider.es, and this happens
This is a great hoax, and also seems to make it or for two reasons:
1. Attempt of Stop of growth of Microsoft Edge
or 2. Google Revenge
What is the solution? This:
Press F12 (if you are on a laptop press Fn + F12), This open the F12 Tools
After go to Emulation, in Browser select or Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox, and Solutionated.
Well, I hope to see their opinions and also see that users of Google in Edge make.
Kind Regards :)
PD: i use Bing

A:Google limits the search service in Microsoft Edge ┐this is a hazard for the grow of Edge?

I'm not exactly sure about what you're saying.. Afaik Google hasn't implemented any limits for Edge users. Do you have proof of this? The picture you have added does not proof that Google has implemented a limited number of searches for Edge users

http://forums.windowscentral.com/edge/416247-google-limits-search-service-microsoft-edge-%BF-hazard-grow-edge.html
Relevancy 45.15%

Since installing the November Windows 10 update (11/17/15) none of my favorites are being stored in the default Edge folder. While in Edge the favorites are available but when I go to the default folder they are not listed. Is there another location they may be being saved or has my default location somehow been changed? My AppData folder shows a creation date of 11/17/15 with no modifications being made in favorites since that date.

A:Microsoft Edge Favorites not in default folder but availalbe in Edge

Hello mongands, and welcome to Ten Forums.

Microsoft Edge Favorites - Backup and Restore in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Microsoft Edge Favorites - Add or Remove in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Note
Starting in in Windows 10 Insider Preview build 10565 and Windows 10 TH2 version 10511 build 10568, your favorites and favorites bar in Microsoft Edge are now stored in an ESE database file in the DataStore folder at the location below.

Code:
%LocalAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default\DataStore

http://www.tenforums.com/browsers-email/34046-microsoft-edge-favorites-not-default-folder-but-availalbe-edge.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Hello - I'm tired of sluggish performance when booting/waking up, and think replacing the unimpressive hard drive with a SSD will help. Does anyone have any tips or advice for how to best install an SSD, including what size/type i'll need to buy and how to best install it? Thanks!

A:Edge 2 1580 Solid State Drive SSD

Get the right size SSD. Since it's using a mechanical HDD it's 2.5" SATA SSD you'll need. You should however check whether an ordinary 7mm SSD fit or you need to hunt for a 5mm (they're rare).As for SSD size... Boo. 120 GB is fine for normal office use but it depends on how many data you want to bring along, convinience etc. Go for a 240-256 GB I think they're the sweet spot right now for price/size. But  hey even 480-512 isn't that expensive these days. As for what brand/model. Boo again it depends on your requirements. But hey even the slowest will be way faster than your HDD.If you want to have the restore partition on it chose a brand which has a clone tool on their website (which of course only works to clone to their device). Put in the SSD in a USB enclosure and clone your HDD onto SSD if you want to have the restore partition as it's a bit special to clone. Or you can also pay for the full version of Acronis True Image but it's rather expensive (although fantastic tool) If you want a clean install you're more free without it cost extra for special tools. Just download a windows image creator tool from Microsoft.If machine is boprn with Win8 you need to download win8 tool even if you want 10 as you have to install 8 then upgrade to 10 - as the key stored in BIOS is for windows 8 thenEasier if machine is born with 10 then just download tool for 10.Put in SSD and boot from the USB stick to have it do a clean install of Win to your fresh SSD. Afterwards goto Lenovos site to download drivers which windows don't find on it's own. There's many nice SSD's. Read some reviews and make your own mind. However just remember performance difference in real life isn't as noticeable as review might make impress of - and they're all way faster then your old fashioned HDD.Probaly personally I'd go for a Samsung 850 EVO but Trendscend MTS seems very nice too with it's auto refresh and very high endurance. But hey for a 2nd SSD in a machine which take two I bought a Toshiba Q300 as a local shop had it as bait to get people in shop. It's fine too although lacking some more advanced features and endurance somewhat lower especially at large writes (but more than enough for ordinary people and price I paid was also very low). So to sum up. Unless you know you need high endurance, the fastests speeds, the most space etc. Then you most likely do not. Then you don't go wrong practically which one you choose.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-IdeaPad-100-305-500-Edge/Edge-2-1580-Solid-State-Drive-SSD/td-p/2260727
Relevancy 44.72%

Here s a problem that I think will be a good challenge to all Drive The This Is Me Problem Edge! Gonna Totally Ftp Over I This Ftp Problem Is Gonna Drive Me Totally Over The Edge! cannot get any FTP software to work on my XP-SP machine The attempt to FTP to a remote site that I maintain always fails For example PING results in a message about blocking and the Mozilla FTP client also results in a message that shows it s This Ftp Problem Is Gonna Drive Me Totally Over The Edge! blocked from getting out I can successfully access the site on the W machine and PING it but when I try to PING on the XP the result is quot ping request could not find host www somesite com Please check the name and try again quot I can FTP to the site from within Firefox i e using ftp ftp targetsite com But that s using Firefox which uses port and not port This happens whether I use the name of the site or its IP address On the XP machine Firefox and MSIE both work fine so it does not look like it s a DNS issue Nor is it a firewall issue I have the built-in Windows Firewall turned off The other firewall I m using Comodo shows the same information amp permissions for my email program Firefox and my FTP software I have several FTP programs but I ve been fooling around lately with FileZilla Client On Filezilla client when I try to FTP to this site using the name www somesite com of course using the actual site name the result is the following Status Resolving IP-Address for ftp somesite com Error Invalid hostname or host not foundError Critical errorError Could not connect to server I have several of the unnecessary services that XP launches turned off I ve tried all the obvious things and looked in what I think of as the obvious places Anyone have any ideas

A:This Ftp Problem Is Gonna Drive Me Totally Over The Edge!

This is just a shot, from what you posted.
At one point you say 'ftp.somesite.com' and then you say 'www.somesite.com'
I know from my server that "ftp.mysite.net" does not resolve. FTPing to "www.mysite.net"
will not connect me to FTP. I have to use just "mysite.net" from FTP (on port 21).
I don't know the specifics of your server, but I hope this helps.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/156403/this-ftp-problem-is-gonna-drive-me-totally-over-the-edge/
Relevancy 44.72%

New system. .   ran virus & malware scans. .   cleaned startup . . 1st 10 min after laptop turned on hard disk running at 100 % . .   it then drops to 10% or less . .  but when opening an app or browsing it jumps back up again . .     apps   running slow. . .  ! Thanks

A:Lenovo edge 15 & edge 2 hard disk running at 100 %

Sorry running windows 10 . . .

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-IdeaPad-100-305-500-Edge/Lenovo-edge-15-amp-edge-2-hard-disk-running-at-100/td-p/3391291
Relevancy 44.29%

My Lenovo thinkpad edge e440's optical drive is not functioning. When the disc tray release button is pressed the tray won't open and there is a blinking green light on the exterior optical drive housing and a sound like the motor inside is trying to push open the tray but can't. If I use a paperclip to press the manual release button and load a disc the opical drive doesn't rotate the disc once closed. The laptop makes some noise as if the optical drive is trying to rotate the disc but after a while goes silent as if there wasn't a disc in there in the first place. 

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-11e-Windows-E-and-Edge/Thinkpad-EDGE-E440-Optical-drive-not-opening-reading-or-rotating/td-p/3358018
Relevancy 44.29%

I m not sure if I should have put this in quot Hardware quot or not so I am by far a professional at this so hang in there with me if I confuse you A few months ago my children broke the screen on my laptop and for a few weeks I was trying to use the External Monitor so it would show up on a monitor my sister gave me Well I finally got that up and working however now when I connect my external hard drive to the laptop it will not show up on the desktop monitor The external hard drive is Western Digital This external monitor is a new thing for me actually I knew you could do it but with Help Hard External External and Monitor Drive didn t try it as an option until my nephew - who is much younger than me - thought of it lol Anyway I have Help with External Monitor and External Hard Drive pictures and such on my external hard drive that were put onto the external by Help with External Monitor and External Hard Drive the very laptop I am using I m not totally sure of the montior I am using all I can tell you at the moment is it s a Dell The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite A S the laptop has Vista Home Basic bit and I believe the desktop monitor is running with Vista too but I m not sure if that s important since it is only serving as a quot view quot Anyway I would love some help with why the drive may not be working with this set up Thanks Kerri nbsp

A:Help with External Monitor and External Hard Drive

This may seem like a silly question, have you tried the HD on another PC to see if the issue is with that?
Also, are you saying it's not showing up in 'My Computer', or are you not getting the option to open files?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-with-external-monitor-and-external-hard-drive.983998/
Relevancy 43.86%

As I had a spare Period on Expired! Hard Browser Trial New Can't Edge Drive get copy of Win upgrade version I decided to configure a new Hard Drive Which I have on swappable pull out trays So to make sure Can't get Edge Browser on New Hard Drive Trial Period Expired! there were no bugs or glitches this is what I did Formatted the Drive Clean Install of Win XP Clean Install of Win To Upgrade XP to Win Using an Iso Disk I Can't get Edge Browser on New Hard Drive Trial Period Expired! burned I then installed a free upgrade to Win which was accepted and registered by MS Everything was fine except for one thing When I try and use MS Edge I get a banner on the Screen which says 'This App can't open your trial period for this App has now expired Visit the Windows Store to purchase the Full App Then there is a Link to Can't get Edge Browser on New Hard Drive Trial Period Expired! go to the Store but there is no sign of an App for MS Edge I don't understand what's going on here so need some advice what to do I've still got Edge on this Hard Drive but not on this other New Drive

A:Can't get Edge Browser on New Hard Drive Trial Period Expired!

Try this that I found it may work for you as I have had no trouble at all
***YOU MUST HAVE THE WINDOWS FIREWALL SERVICE RUNNING FOR THIS TO WORK***

1. Find C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe
2. Right-click and Run as Administrator
3. Copy this line:

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

4. Right-click in the Powershell window to Paste and then press Enter.
5. There is no need to restart. The fix should implement right away.

If you have previously disabled Windows Firewall or do not have it running, the above steps will result in errors. Use the steps below to enable Windows Firewall and the reverse if you wish to turn it off again afterwards.

1. Right-click the Start button -> Click Run
2. Type Services.msc and press Enter
3. Scroll down to find Windows Firewall
4. Right-click then click Properties
5. Under Startup Type dropdown -> Select Manual. Click Apply
6. In the top left portion of the Services Window, Click Start this service.
7. Now follow the steps in the first section, and it should work.

These steps worked for this guy
They have no guarantee to work for you
Also worked for the other person as well.

http://www.tenforums.com/browsers-email/31919-cant-get-edge-browser-new-hard-drive-trial-period-expired.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Title pretty much sums it up, is there a way to move the browsing cache from Microsoft Edge to a secondary drive?

Thanks!

A:Microsoft Edge: Possible to move browsing cache to secondary drive?

Originally Posted by SlackerITGuy

Title pretty much sums it up, is there a way to move the browsing cache from Microsoft Edge to a secondary drive?

Thanks!

Yes! It can be done pretty much as it was in Windows 7/8
Just click start and select Settings.
In Settings type cache into the search box
select the first item 'Change temporary internet file settings'.
Now you are on familiar ground, so just continue...

http://www.tenforums.com/browsers-email/7287-microsoft-edge-possible-move-browsing-cache-secondary-drive.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Hi, not sure where to post this.

It seems fine; however, one thing that annoys me is that my photographs, when in screensaver mode, are not Edge to edge and have about an inch and a half thick black bar at each side. The aspect ratio and everything else seems to be the same as my previous Samsung monitor but the Samsung monitor displayed the screensaver photographs from edge to edge. Can anyone help me out on this? Thanks

A:Asus MX239H - pictures not edge to edge

Nat some system specs would be real good mate so we know what we are dealing with System Info - See Your System Specs

I have a similar thing going with my smaller photos and it could just be the photo sizing how you adjust that I didn't know but there are quite a few members who really good with this stuff

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/311645-asus-mx239h-pictures-not-edge-edge.html
Relevancy 43.43%

I want to get an external hard drive dvd burner combo if there is such a thing To make this question as simple as possible I need a drive/dvd-rw External OR Solved: combo? External drive Hard Hard hard drive that my camera can be plugged into with the firewire I also need the hard drive that is able to plug in to the USB slot on my computer Solved: External Hard drive OR External Hard drive/dvd-rw combo? because my new Dell doesn t seem to tolerate a firewire card which I installed and then took out and returned to the store It froze my computer and I tried everything to stabilize it but had no luck It did work long enough to download min or so of video and I burned that onto a cd Thats when I found out I had a dvd-rom not a dvd burner long story I know Sorry I just want to figure out the most economical way now to save my movies and burn them to dvd also using either another external dvd burner or maybe there is a hard drive dvd burner combo Or should I just get two separate externals Again I need the hard drive burner to plug into my computer with usb Then the firewire from the camera would go into the hard drive burner to download the movies nbsp

Relevancy 43%

Hi, I am an oap with little pc knowledge. My friend has kindly downloaded some small video clips from my phone onto a SanDisk Cruzer Edge 32GB memory stick. He put a note with it to open with quicktime player. When I load the stick it goes straight to windows options for opening which of course gets me nowhere. I do have quicktime installed but can't seem to get the connection in order to open these files. Now the pc is saying it is not recognising the Sandisc.
I there a kind hearted soul out there who can give me very easy instructions re how to just open these videos onto my pc. Many thanks

A:sandisk cruzer edge flash drive 32GB will not recognise to read files

Quote: Originally Posted by victorsj

Hi, I am an oap with little pc knowledge. My friend has kindly downloaded some small video clips from my phone onto a SanDisk Cruzer Edge 32GB memory stick. He put a note with it to open with quicktime player. When I load the stick it goes straight to windows options for opening which of course gets me nowhere. I do have quicktime installed but can't seem to get the connection in order to open these files. Now the pc is saying it is not recognising the Sandisc.
I there a kind hearted soul out there who can give me very easy instructions re how to just open these videos onto my pc. Many thanks

Hi victorsj,

Welcome to Seven forums.

Please let us know what happens when you connect this USB drive to this system or any other system. Kindly post a screenshot of my computer and device manager so we can check the same:

Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Seven Forums

Kindly update your system specs here by following this.
Keep us posted with the results so we can advise you further.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/312358-sandisk-cruzer-edge-flash-drive-32gb-will-not-recognise-read-files.html
Relevancy 42.14%

Windows I am on a Gateway Intel gb Ram Tb harddrive using my large screen TV Mitsibuish as my monitor Since installing Windows my to Edge Monitor edge on TV display display has been edge to edge on my TV display Recently Edge to edge display on TV Monitor after downloading a startup utility called starstartup my display changed with Edge to edge display on TV Monitor a two inch border on all sides I have since deleted Edge to edge display on TV Monitor the startup utility but the border remain I restored my computer to an earlier restore point nothing changed So I think there must be another reason for this change in the display On another hard drive with Windows XP which was also displaying edge to edge display but after I installed windows beta the same thing occurred there was a border instead of the edge to edge display I attempted to change the resolution which was on X to a lesser resolution but that didn't correct the display So the resolution is back to X I clicked on full screen mode stay the same Would like to get back to the edge to edge display Hope you can help Xandr

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/edge-to-edge-display-on-tv-monitor-655300.html
Relevancy 42.14%

Windows I am on a Gateway Intel gb Ram Tb harddrive using my large screen TV Mitsibuish as my monitor Since installing Windows my display has been edge to edge on my TV display Recently after downloading a startup utility on edge Monitor TV Edge display to called starstartup my display changed with a two inch border on all sides I have since deleted the startup utility but the border remain I restored my computer to an earlier restore point nothing changed So I think there Edge to edge display on TV Monitor must be another reason for this change in the display On another hard drive with Windows XP which was also displaying edge to edge display but after I installed windows beta the same thing occurred there was a border instead of the edge to edge display I attempted to change the resolution which was on X to a lesser resolution but that didn t correct the display So the resolution is back to X I clicked on full screen mode stay the same Would like to get back to the edge to edge display Hope you can help Xandr nbsp

A:Edge to edge display on TV Monitor

Try increasing the resolution.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/edge-to-edge-display-on-tv-monitor.1061132/
Relevancy 42.14%

Hi,I have an edge 15 first gen (with i7 4510u) and my digitizer broke. I bought a new one and only then found out the hard way I can't seperate the digitizer and the LCD - and broke both.Thinking about how worn my machine is (touchpad is flimsy and the metel is bent everywhere), I was thinking of buying the cheapest new i3 (I think it's edge 2, model is 80k9) off ebay, then swapping my old mainboard in place of the new i3 mainboard. Then I may get an almost new laptop.Do you think it will work, will the older mainboard fit in the newer machine?Thanks. 

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-IdeaPad-100-305-500-Edge/Edge-screen-interchangeable-with-edge-2/td-p/3362349
Relevancy 41.71%

I have a USB external hard drive that I keep all my documents etc on had it change Hard Drive back - Letter - to External Drive unable changed for years I upgraded from Vista Home to amp Home Premium then had to upgrade recently to Professional to run my Sage Through all these upgrades my ext drive ran fine Occasionally the drvie letter would change if I had something else plugged into the USB this was External Hard Drive - Drive Letter changed - unable to change back always easily corected in disk management by changing the drive path The connection on the case packed up so I had to get the External Hard Drive - Drive Letter changed - unable to change back drive put into a new case now when I plug it in the drive is assigned G instead of F I tried to change the drive letter allocation in Disk Management but it won't let me as the program still thinks I have a second ext hard drive which is labelled F I suspect this has happened because when the usb connection broke the drive was disconnected suddenly instead of a proper eject How do I get Disk Management to remove the inactive drive - i can't find any obvious way - eject delete etc are all missing when I click on tools or tasks If there is no easy way then how do I stop program updates for Adobe etc failing because they can not find the F drive I don't know why they look at that drive anyway Help

A:External Hard Drive - Drive Letter changed - unable to change back

Hi PAMDILL,

Welcome aboard.

Try this:

Download drivecleanup.zip V 0.8.1 from

Drive Tools for Windows

Unzip to a folder. In it you will have two folders Win32 and x64, each containing DriveCleanup.exe for Windows 32bit and 64 bit respectively.

Now unplug all the USB devices from your PC (except of course the Keyboard and mouse), right click on the appropriate DriveCleanup.exe for your system and run it as an administrator.

This will remove all non-present drives from the registry.

Reboot and then plug-in your external drive.

The drive will be installed and hopefully you should be able to assign any free drive letter to it.

Please report whether it resolved your problem.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/248054-external-hard-drive-drive-letter-changed-unable-change-back.html
Relevancy 41.71%

I have a Samsung s2 1tb external hard drive.

Today when I hooked it up to my laptop it would not load. It will shows local F drive when it usually will say samsung Drive.

A pop up box will then appear stating "you need to format drive"

I know if I reformat it I will lose all my data which I will not do.

When I look in device manager it states that the external hard drive is installed.

I attempted to go through start menu and type cmd then F: and it states "The volume does not recognize this system file. Please make sure all required system drivers are loaded and the volume is not corrupted."

PLEASE HELP I DONT WANT TO LOSE ALL MY FILES

A:Samsung s2 external hard drive not loading showing local disk F drive

With the external drive connected, Go to Disk Management (Start > type: "computer" > click on Computer Management > click on Disk Management)

Determine which disk is the external drive.
If the external drive shows here as a healthy volume, Right click on the large box to the right of the "Disk 1" / "Disk 2" lable and choose: Change Drive Letter and Path.

If there is nothing but a grey box or "Unallocated Space" next to the disk number then Right click on the disk number (the box) and choose: Change Drive Letter and Path.

Change the drive letter to anything else > OK.

If you can't do any of the above post back. If you can post a screen shot of the Disk Management window that can help.
Do not initialize the disk or format it or you will lose your data.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/209492-samsung-s2-external-hard-drive-not-loading-showing-local-disk-f-drive.html
Relevancy 41.71%

I have a very straightforward question I am running WinXP Pro drive NTFS? a read VISTA format drive,or have I to to the hard FAT32 external will do on my computer and I just got an external USB hard-drive to back up my data before I upgrade to VISTA My internal hard drive is NTFS file system and the external drive is FAT My data backed-up perfectly However I understand that VISTA is NTFS only for the drive that it s installed on which in my case will be the internal drive I will be installing the VISTA OS on the internal drive and using the external drive solely will VISTA read a FAT32 external hard drive,or do I have to format the drive to NTFS? for backing up data I don t want to back up my data externally upgrade my PC to VISTA and then discover that I can t access the data on the external drive Here s my only question will VISTA work with a FAT external drive or do I have to convert that external drive to NTFS before I attempt to connect it to VISTA awaiting your replies - I ll appreciate all the help I can get nbsp

A:will VISTA read a FAT32 external hard drive,or do I have to format the drive to NTFS?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/will-vista-read-a-fat32-external-hard-drive-or-do-i-have-to-format-the-drive-to-ntfs.584903/
Relevancy 41.71%

I have a sony vaio VGN-NR330E that I have just bought a new hard drive for (doing a fresh install of vista) and the internal optical drive spins up but won't boot off the cd, and after a blinking cursor says O/S not found, so i tried it on an external usb drive, and it didnt boot, same black screen followed by O/S not found. I tried booting from a knoppix live cd that worked on another computer and it wouldnt boot either. I have no idea of any what to do, since it wont boot off of an external HDD internal optical drive, external optical drive, and any help is greatly appreciated.

A:sony vaio vgn-nr330E won't boot to any external drive, or internal optical drive

What are the current boot options...as set in your BIOS?

http://www.ehow.com/how_8022156_change-bios-settings-sony-vaio.html

If not listed as the first boot option...it's unlikely that the system would boot from either drive.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/412681/sony-vaio-vgn-nr330e-wont-boot-to-any-external-drive-or-internal-optical-drive/
Relevancy 41.71%

Hi there From my out-of-work PC Scaleo Fujitsu-Siemens Motherboard RIMM RAM issues not yet sorted out I have occasionally to retrieve files from its GB HD connected as Drive G via dual D:\ or... VAIO drive booting system Drive onto External (Resolved) as WXP quot External Drive Enclosure to laptop VAIO VGN-FS M My question I Is it possible to have the full content of this external drive as G either downloaded transferred into VAIO Drive D GB currently almost empty and operate this HD in a dual booting system with VAIO Drive C or II leaving all the folders as they are as drive G but being able to select this drive as alternative to drive C In other words when booting VAIO before going straight into Windows XP I'd like to have the (Resolved) External Drive WXP onto VAIO drive D:\ as dual booting system or... black screen offering me the OS selection I understand that switching from one OS into another without first logging out and in again could also be possible In this case both OS's are Windows XP Home Edition SP all (Resolved) External Drive WXP onto VAIO drive D:\ as dual booting system or... updates Any conclusive help would be greatly appreciated Thank you very much

A:(Resolved) External Drive WXP onto VAIO drive D:\ as dual booting system or...

The XP license for the Siemens is not transferable (OEM versions cannot be transferred).

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/resolved-external-drive-wxp-onto-vaio-drive-d-as-dual-booting-system-or-160612.html
Relevancy 41.71%

HelloI have recently upgraded from vista 32bit to Windows 8 Pro 64 bit. All my important data was stored on Icybox External Drive enclosure in RAID mode (fully working before the upgrade).

Since the upgrade it is not showing up under "My computer", and then I go to disk management it is showing as an invalid Dynamic drive. I spent about 18 hours in various forums searching for solution, tried everything suggested, nothing worked.
I need the data that is on the ICYBOX and cannot convert it to basic disk until I get the data off.
The commercial software recommended did not work either.
Loosing my will to live!Anyone has any suggestions please?
Thank you

A:external drive showing as invalid dynamic drive after Win8 upgrade

Check here: http://illbethejudgeofthat.wordpress.com/2010/10/20/repairing-a-dynamic-invalid-drive-in-windows/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/489622/external-drive-showing-as-invalid-dynamic-drive-after-win8-upgrade/
Relevancy 41.71%

Hi Bit of background first my old harddrive which was split into C and D approx gig each went Kaput had it replaced with an SSD at my request because I heard they to backup & causing drive problems letter external rename Drive Changes to don't overheat and are faster by an experienced computer technician and no longer having to deal with split drives suited me fine I only have half the storage space now about Gg in comparison to Gg but cost was a factor at the time SSD's being so expensive Very happy with the new SSD Changes to Drive letter & rename causing backup problems to external drive speed etc My operating system is Windows Home Changes to Drive letter & rename causing backup problems to external drive Premium bit SP My backups were all stored on a Goflex external harddrive which the technician accidentally dropped on the floor he then replaced this with an external drive with an on off switch Pleased about the Changes to Drive letter & rename causing backup problems to external drive on off switch the other didn't have one very upset about the dropping my other one All working fine doing my backups to my new external drive he gave me using my Acronis True Image software version that I had always used My old external drive was set up to drive E and all my previous backups in Acronis show drive E so perhaps this is why the technician set this new one up to Drive F not sure And maybe this is why I got the error message below Well in my infinite wisdom which with computer technology isn't great I must admit I suddenly decided I wanted to backup to an external drive with the letter E E for External seemed so much more practical to me just like before not F like now so I found out how to go and change the letter from F to E again and also the name of the drive I got a message after I changed the drive letter to E saying this might cause a problem with some files or something but I did it anyway feeling adventurous at the time Kind of regretting it now I had run a complete PC backup with Acronis software to external drive F on the st March which went completely smoothly Then I think I did a backup of just files and folders on rd March also Then after I changed that drive letter to E and then gave the drive an entirely new name cause I didn't like the name the tech had given it I then did another complete PC backup After this I got a system message from Acronis that said Warning The specified file path does not exist Click RETRY to try to read from the same location To Create a new version according to the current backup scheme click CANCEL I opted to click CANCEL not RETRY Was this a good or bad choice So far haven't received any advice from Acronis regarding this matter My question is have I stuffed up future backups by changing the drive letter and renaming the drive If so how do I rectify it Help someone LOLRegards Jen

A:Changes to Drive letter & rename causing backup problems to external drive

I don't use Acronis, but if you think changing the drive letter caused a problem, can't you just change it back?  The Administrative Tools applet of the Control Panel is what I've always used to change drive letters. Changing the name (I assume you mean the drive label) should have no effect.

Good luck.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/608721/changes-to-drive-letter-rename-causing-backup-problems-to-external-drive/
Relevancy 41.71%

Hi there From my out-of-work PC Scaleo Fujitsu-Siemens Motherboard RIMM RAM issues I have its GB HD connected as Drive G via quot External Drive Enclosure to laptop VAIO VGN-FS M My question I Is it possible to have the content of drive G either downloaded transferred into VAIO Drive D GB currently almost empty and operate this HD in a dual booting system with VAIO Drive C or II leaving all the folders as they are as drive G but being able to select this drive as alternative to drive c In other words when booting VAIO before going straight into Windows XP I d like to have the black screen offering me the OS selection I understand that switching from one OS into another without first logging out and in again could also be possible In this case both OS s are Windows XP Home Edition SP all updates Any conclusive help would be greatly appreciated Thank you very much nbsp

A:Solved: External Drive WXP onto VAIO drive D:\ as dual booting system or...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-external-drive-wxp-onto-vaio-drive-d-as-dual-booting-system-or.580927/
Relevancy 41.71%

Hello I have a Dell Inspiron laptop I have an image of the entire hard drive that I created when I first got the computer using Acronis TrueImage and I d like to restore that image returning the laptop back to that fresh clean original state I ve done this two or three times before and it worked great each time But now there s a problem Normally I would in boots as when drive external but laptop hard Primary recognized isn't drive used connect to the laptop a USB storage backup drive that has the disk image boot the laptop from a Rescue Media CD created by Acronis then restore that disk image from the back-up drive onto the laptop s HDD When I tried it this time round the laptop s HDD was not listed in TrueImage at all I created a new rescue media disk tried it again and got the same result I then took the HDD out of the laptop connected it to Primary hard drive boots in laptop but isn't recognized when used as external drive an adapter kit that let s you power up and plug in the drive via a USB port and external power supply and tried the same procedure using my desktop to run the operation Same result The drive was not detected by Acronis The drive does not seem to spin up at all Primary hard drive boots in laptop but isn't recognized when used as external drive when it is connected Keep in mind the drive still works when installed in the laptop -- it boots into Windows XP etc When I plug the drive into my desktop the drive does not show up in Disk Management Start Right-click My Computer Manage Disk Management It doesn t show up in either of the two right-side windows so there s no way I know of to format it or do any work on it in Windows When I go to Device Manager Disk Drives I see quot USB Device quot for that drive and under Properties it is listed as quot Disk Drives quot for quot Device Type quot and its status says it is working properly So what I don t get is it works fine when it is in the laptop boots into XP etc but when connected as an external drive or when the laptop is being run off of CD the drive can t be detected and not on just one computer but multiple Is it junk Any ideas nbsp

A:Primary hard drive boots in laptop but isn't recognized when used as external drive

It's a power issue. Had the same issue taking a 2.5" laptop hdd and attempting to hook up w/ a passive usb sata hdd cable. my recommendation is to use a powered usb sata cable. like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812119475 having proper power will allow the USB bus to detect and power the hdd correctly. Hope this helps, take care!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/primary-hard-drive-boots-in-laptop-but-isnt-recognized-when-used-as-external-drive.174938/
Relevancy 41.71%

I have a 2TB Western Digital My Book Essentials, it's filled with tons of old photos, movies, docs, games, and I'm scared to think of what else. The SATA to USB connector broke on it, so I took the drive apart and put it inside my computer. I opened up device manager because it wasn't showing up automatically and the 2TB is showing up as unallocated, I'm freaking out now because I'm scared the data was somehow deleted.

What do I do?

edit: I realize also this isn't directly related to Windows 8 (besides the fact it's the OS I'm on), but I don't know where else to post it. I'd also like to say that I had a really deep feeling the drive was going to break continually for about two weeks before it happened, so if you have a similar feeling about something, don't ignore it!

A:External hard drive shell broke, salvaged internal drive

As long as your hard disk is still spinning & recognized by Windows, the data in your hard disk is still there, just the File Allocation Table got corrupted, You'll have a good chance to recover your data. What you need is a data recovery program, I use this program in the past:

Data Recovery Software Products - Runtime Software Products

In the mean time, leave this hard disk alone, do not initialize or format it when Windows offers to do so.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/16381-external-hard-drive-shell-broke-salvaged-internal-drive.html
Relevancy 41.71%

xp cannot find it disk manager can do format and no drive letter help please thank you permalink robtonet Registered User Join Date Apr Posts OS xp help trying to initialize an external hard drive on xp home ed -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- i may not know enough about the problem to completly describe it but i will begin an gig external hard drive was given to me it was rebuilt on a win system my home edition of win xp--reconginzes it as disk - in disk manager however it is not formatted or able to be found and does not have a drive letter assigend to it i logged on as quot administrator quot in safe mode to see if i could get the drive path settings option to maxtor external hard drive drive and by letter undesignated unformatted come up in disk manager i could not-------does any of this make any sense to anyone that option still does not come up under user or administrator in disk managment--so it is unformatted and has no drive letter thus xp cannot find it OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Version Service Pack Build OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation System Name System Manufacturer Dell Inc System Model ME System Type X -based PC Processor x Family Model Stepping GenuineIntel Mhz BIOS Version Date Dell Inc A SMBIOS Version Windows Directory C WINDOWS System Directory C WINDOWS system Boot Device Device HarddiskVolume Locale United States Hardware Abstraction Layer Version quot xpsp sp rtm - quot User Name Time Zone Central Daylight Time Total Physical Memory MB Available Physical Memory MB Total Virtual Memory GB Available Virtual Memory GB Page File Space GB Page File C pagefile sys and here it is the maxtor HID-compliant mouse HID VID D amp PID C D amp CF B amp amp Intel R FB FBM USB Universal Host Controller - PCI VEN amp DEV amp SUBSYS C maxtor external hard drive unformatted and undesignated by drive letter amp REV maxtor external hard drive unformatted and undesignated by drive letter amp AAA amp amp E Intel R FB FBM USB Universal Host Controller - PCI VEN amp DEV amp SUBSYS C amp REV amp AAA amp amp E Intel R FB FBM USB Universal Host Controller - A PCI VEN amp DEV A amp SUBSYS C amp REV amp AAA amp amp EA Intel R FB FBM USB Universal Host Controller - B PCI VEN amp DEV B amp SUBSYS C amp REV amp AAA amp amp EB Intel R FB FBM USB Enhanced Host Controller - C PCI VEN amp DEV C amp SUBSYS C maxtor external hard drive unformatted and undesignated by drive letter amp REV amp AAA amp amp EF MAXTOR L J USB Device USBSTOR DISK amp VEN MAXTOR amp PROD L J amp REV amp USB Human Interface Device USB VID D amp PID C D amp F D amp amp USB Mass Storage Device USB VID C B amp PID BCF USB Root Hub USB ROOT HUB amp F amp USB Root Hub USB ROOT HUB amp A B amp USB Root Hub USB ROOT HUB amp A EC amp USB Root Hub USB ROOT HUB amp DBF amp USB Root Hub USB ROOT HUB amp E B A amp it is on the system and the system reconginizes it but i cant find it click on it and it is not in my list when i open start and explore devices any help -------it apparently needs to be formatted with nfts or fat i am lost i am afraid this will be a sort of convuleted email tag deal so thanks for you help-------robtonet yahoo com

A:maxtor external hard drive unformatted and undesignated by drive letter

What size is the hard drive?

Do you know what motherboard you have?

STEP 1: CHECK POWER (click for expanded instructions further down the page)

Verify that the drive light and the light on the AC adapter (power supply) is illuminated normally.
It is sometimes necessary to contact Technical Support for troubleshooting and/or possibly to replace the power supply if it behaves unusually.

STEP 2: CHECK CABLING (click for expanded instructions further down the page)

Confirm that your USB/Firewire cable is firmly connected in a port that is on the rear of your desktop computer (if you have a desktop).
Try another USB or Firewire port.
If your drive is powered only by USB, such as the FreeAgent Go, the Maxtor OneTouch mini, and the Seagate Portable drive, then the drive's cable has two USB connectors. Try connecting both of the free USB connectors into a USB port for maximum power availability.
Avoid connecting the drive via a USB hub for now.

STEP 3: WINDOWS SERVICE PACKS

Follow these instructions to ensure that your installation of Windows XP/2000 has been updated to the latest Windows Service Pack.

Right-click on My Computer and choose Properties.

The System Properties window will appear. On the General tab (which will be at the front), see the "System:" information.

For Windows 2000: Update to Service Pack 4.

For Windows XP: Update to Service Pack 2.

Allow your computer to complete the installation of the Service Pack.

Reboot the computer and connect the drive. Turn it on and see if the drive is detected now.

STEP 4: CHECK DISK MANAGEMENT (click for expanded instructions further down the page)

Check Disk Management to see if the drive is detected there.

Right-click on My Computer, select Manage, select Disk Management.

Check the upper window to find whether the drive letter is present.

Check the lower window to find whether the drive is detected (such as, Disk 1, Disk 2, etc).

If it is detected as with a drive letter, verify no other device is already using that drive letter. If it is, change the drive letter of the external drive to some unused letter (click here to see more instructions on how to do so).

If changing the drive letter is not possible or the drive does not have a drive letter at all, attempt to reformat the drive (click here to see more instructions on how to do so). This will erase any data on the drive, but since the drive is brand new, there is nothing to erase on it.

If it is still not detected, proceed to Step 4.

STEP 5: CHECK DEVICE MANAGER (click for expanded instructions further down the page)

Verify that your Windows installation contains the most recent Service Pack.

In the left column of Computer Management, click on Device Manager.

Look for the drive?s model number/name in Disk drives (a category under Device Manager).

It will probably not be there. If it is, test the drive on another computer if you can.

If it is not there, check under Other devices (a category under Device Manager).

If under Other devices an Unknown device appears, double-click on it.

Under the General tab, we would expect to see "This device is not working properly" and either (Code 28) or (Code 10).

If Code 10 appears, the drive has most probably failed.
Double-check that you have installed the most up-to-date Windows Service Pack.
Verify by trying the drive with another USB cable or port, or on another computer.
If none of this gets the drive detected, you can begin a replacement order online, or, since the drive is new, you can usually exchange the faulty unit for a replacement at your place of purchase (please contact the place of purchase for a full explanation of their policy regarding returns).

If Code 28 appears, you will need to test the drive on another computer. If the drive works fine on another computer, follow the procedure in this Knowledge... Read more

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/maxtor-external-hard-drive-unformatted-and-undesignated-by-drive-letter-240156.html
Relevancy 41.71%

Hi,

I am trying to re-install xp pro on my Toshiba Notebook with an external DVD drive. I am able to boot from the drive and the blue "windows setup" screen begins to load.

After I press enter to set up Window XP, it says "setup did not find any hard disk drives installed on your comptuer...Press F3 to quit.

I am stumped. If I quit setup and I can reboot and load my original windows. Therefore, the hard disk is present and works fine.

How do I get the windows setup to see the hard drive and proceed with setup?

Thanks.
Dw1256

A:Solved: Install Windows with External Dvd Drive - Hard drive not found?

It is usually because the installation cannot recognise the SATA driver for the hard disc
If you have a usb drive load from Toshiba the sata controller drivers
so on the screen for the install you press F6 load drivers and then load the sata driver from the usb - I say usb as I presume you do not have a floppy drive
OR you can include them in a reburnt CD using nLite but that is a longer way round the problem
Nlite

http://www.nliteos.com/guide/part2.html

OR you can TRY try this

Enter your BIOS/Setup Utility
Locate the Serial ATA or SATA configuration section
I’ve seen this section called ‘On Chip Config’ on some Phoenix Award BIOS

On Lenovo/IBM ThinkPads it’s in Config > Serial ATA (Sata)
Change the mode of the SATA controller from AHCI to IDE or Compatibility
Save & Exit
Reboot and begin the Windows Setup again.
If Windows Setup successfully detects your hard disk this time then go ahead and perform the Windows Setup.
When Windows setup completes change the mode back to AHCI in the BIOS

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-install-windows-with-external-dvd-drive-hard-drive-not-found.1120234/
Relevancy 41.71%

I recently bought an old used PC Dell XPS Gen Pentium GHz GB RAM installed my TB SATA hard drive and a new install of Windows XP SP I ve also got an IDE hard drive in there with lots of media files on it I ve been trying to copy or move files from an external USB hard drive to the IDE drive but nearly every time I try to do so Windows Explorer or Q-Dir will lock up drive move files up IDE to or copy locks Windows from to XP try external when drive I with the progress bar showing very little progress I have been able to copy a few small files successfully but anything else seems to crash it I ve checked for DMA Windows XP locks up when I try to copy or move files from external drive to IDE drive PIO status and have found that it has reverted to PIO several times and I ve deleted the primary IDE channel in device manager so that it would reinstall with DMA mode The problem persists My device manager shows two primary IDE channels and one secondary IDE channel I have the SATA hard drive IDE hard drive and SATA DVD burner installed Any ideas Thanks Windows XP locks up when I try to copy or move files from external drive to IDE drive

A:Windows XP locks up when I try to copy or move files from external drive to IDE drive

can you write a file to the drive?
any files you can open on the drive? Or do you get access denied when you try to open a file?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-xp-locks-up-when-i-try-to-copy-or-move-files-from-external-drive-to-ide-drive-560487.html
Relevancy 41.71%

I have heard that enterprise hard drives are more reliable than the standard hard drives in retail or consumer computers. I want to get an external hard drive for extra storage and backup purposes. My desktop and notebooks are the typical computers that are sold to retail customers. Will there be any problems having it access and drive an enterprise hard drive in an external hard drive case? I am thinking to get a fairly large size around 1T so I figure it would have its own power supply and not be powered by the USB drive. Data access will probably be via USB and/or eSata.

A:enterprise hard drive as an extra external drive-any problem with this idea

I believe Enterprise drives are more performance based then reliability based. The mechanics are still the same. Usually an enterprise application requires a fast drive, something like a 16MB cache and 15k RPMs is the norm, even if the drive is only 150GB, put those in RAID and you have a very fast access source for a large network.

There of course are slower, and larger backup drives, and tape backups as well... but again I can't imagine that they are any more reliable, if the two drives are comarable in other regards. SATA is Still SATA, though Fibre and SAS might be more reliable than SATA or PATA.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/enterprise-hard-drive-as-an-extra-external-drive-any-problem-with-this-idea.847501/
Relevancy 41.71%

My External Hard Drive (My Book) was always Drive letter F.

I went to sleep and woke up to find Windows 7 Pro had updated and rebooted and I was welcomed by my login screen.

Consequently now my My Book external HDD now reads as Drive letter G.

I went into Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management

Drive letter F is not available.

F is assigned to a drive that does not exist and never has. I am confused. I only have one CD drive and it says now that I have 2 even though the one addressed as F doesn't have any information. If I click on F it says "Insert Disk"

A:External Hard Drive (F) Drive Letter changed to G - Can't change back

Update: The mysterious other CD Rom drive seems to be MagicJack.

I did some research but the following tech help did NOT work as you can see by the previous post picture that it doesn't not show it up in Disk Management:

MagicJack/Support Resources/How-To/Assign Drive Letters - Wikibooks, open books for an open world

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/311689-external-hard-drive-f-drive-letter-changed-g-cant-change-back.html
Relevancy 41.71%

i can't get my puter to read the data on an external hard drive. wants me to format it even though it recognizes the drive letter i gave it when i did format it. don't want to lose the 100+ gigs of data i have on this drive.

A:my computer recognizes the drive letter but not the data on external hard drive

Does the external drive work on another machine?

Also, while the drive is still connected, can you go into Device Manager (right-click My Computer, click on 'Manage...', click on 'Device Manager') to check for any yellow exclamation marks or red crosses next to anything in there?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-computer-recognizes-the-drive-letter-but-not-the-data-on-external-hard-drive.472352/
Relevancy 41.71%

Is it possible to have pre-installed vista on your internal drive then buy a new external drive, install XP on it and then boot that drive to use XP?

A:Running Xp on an external hard drive with Vista installed on internal drive.

Yes this is possible as long as your BIOS supports booting from USB.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/running-xp-on-an-external-hard-drive-with-vista-installed-on-internal-drive.934768/
Relevancy 41.71%

Hello Recently bought a new Laptop D External files Change Partitioned Hard to back up from Drive Drive? and went through all the setting up process one of which was Change back up files from D Partitioned Drive to External Hard Drive? Windows back up At the time I just went for the partitioned drive option but after a week I've decided to buy an external Hard drive for my back ups instead My questions are Can I easily change the destination of the back up files Do I just delete everything on Drive D once I'm backing up to an external Hard Drive or will Windows give me this option when I change to external Hard Drive The Back up is done on a schedule so how do I get on when the date passes Will it ask me to plug my external Hard Drive in the next time I boot up Finally I'd like to back up our Desktop too running on Vista Can I just partition the external Hard Drive and keep our laptop and Desktop backed up on the same hard drive Cheers Matthew

A:Change back up files from D Partitioned Drive to External Hard Drive?

Hi Matthew -

You don't need to partition the HD to keep your different backups on it.

The WindowsImageBackup file needs to be named only that and in the root of the external to reimage from the booted DVD or Repair CD, however you can click on it to see which PC it is for.

Backup Complete Computer - Create an Image Backup
Backup User and System Files

I don't like the way Win7 file backup works so I drag the active User folder from each computer here to external once per month, then update the backup image every few months. You may decide to go Manual after trying the automated backup, since you'll need to move the external to catch the backup anyway.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/131476-change-back-up-files-d-partitioned-drive-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 41.71%

Hi all,
I recently bought a WD My Book Essential Edition external hard drive and wanted to change it from FAT32 to NTFS. I was following instructions given on WDs website, however the directions weren't entirely clear (of course only noticed after the fact). I right clicked on My Computer, clicked manage and used Disk Manager. The instructions said to find the drive, right click on it and click delete partition. It didn't mention however, to do that with bottom part of the screen and not the top. So, I think I just deleted the logical drive.

It shows up on the device manager and the "Safely Remove Hardware" window, but the drive letter no longer shows up under My Computer.

Is there a way to fix this? Or did I just buy a $120 paper weight?

Thanks,

PaveFE

A:Solved: External Hard Drive - Deleting partition, but accidently deleted logical drive

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-external-hard-drive-deleting-partition-but-accidently-deleted-logical-drive.585272/
Relevancy 41.28%

can anyone help a novice by using simple language how to move music library and photos to an external buffalo drive station, thereafter once the laptop has been restored to factory settings how do I reinstall

Many thanks

JimThe Pilot

A:transferring from laptop to external drive buffalo drive station

do you know how to 'drag n drop' from one folder to another??
Thats about as simple a way of moving the files as you can get

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/transferring-from-laptop-to-external-drive-buffalo-drive-station.826771/
Relevancy 41.28%

hi,

how do you boot norton ghost from external usb dvd drive instead of internal dvd drive when you start up the comptuer? i notice that the internal drive can read the norton ghost cd but when i place the cd in my external usb dvd drive, it doesnt work, the computer cant read that there's a disk in there.

i pressed F2 and change the boot sequence so that the external usb drive would boot first but its not working, what am i doing wrong?

A:how to boot norton ghost from external usb dvd drive instead of internal dvd drive?

Try putting your usb dvd in the 1st usb port at rear of PC (has to be 2.0 of course) and don't have any flash drives or other usb devices plugged in and try it

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/how-to-boot-norton-ghost-from-external-usb-dvd-drive-instead-of-internal-dvd-drive-204903.html
Relevancy 41.28%

hi there,
i just bought a preowned Seagate Freeagent Goflex,when i plugged it into my usb port windows installed the driver,but when i click on my computer it dosnt show though in disk management it is listed and online,i also have enabled automount and changed it from dynamic to basic.
Im not great on computers and any help would be greatly appreciated i only want to use the new disk for back ups.
Many thanks in advance.
paul.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/395666-windows-wont-allocat-drive-letter-external-drive.html
Relevancy 41.28%

I have a wierd problem that most of the suggestions seem not to work.
I have a HP computer with Vista basic installed at factory with no disc sent with computer. I then added an external drive on which I installed Ubuntu OS as the primary boot drive. This was needed while I was learning and using Asterisk. Now I do not need the drive which no longer seems to have a letter designation or Ubuntu OS but cannot seem to be able to use System Recovery. Near as I can tell, I need to reset the Master Boot Record back to Vista only but seem unable to do so as I recieved no disks with the Computer.
Any suggestions. I am not extremely skilled at computer technical stuff so please assume I am an idiot if responding.

A:Removing External drive with Ubuntu OS but no drive letter designation

Hi,

Look here for one un-install option: -

How To Safely Uninstall Ubuntu From A Windows Dual-Boot PC

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/292663-removing-external-drive-ubuntu-os-but-no-drive-letter-designation.html
Relevancy 41.28%

Why do files moved to be all drive to external behave internal same the and equal drive in the files an external drive not behave the same as those same files in an internal drive I noticed that if external drive behave and be equal to all the same files in the internal drive I do anything to a file that is in an external drive that file can not be saved under the same name read only In order to do so one must save it internally and then copy or move it to the external drive So I did just external drive behave and be equal to all the same files in the internal drive that--I copied a file from taken from an external drive saved it in the internal one and then copied it back to the external one Now if I r-click the propeerties of these same files and then go to the 'Security' tab a difference is immediately apparent The internal one has - - System amp - My-computername user-PC user and - - Administrators user-PC Administrators with all accounts allowing all full control read write etc While the external drive has in Properties - - System - - Administrators user-PC Administrators and - - Users user-PC Userrs with this final d one and different one with no Allow for quot full control or modify or write So how does one have all its files in this external drive behave and be equal to all the same files in the internal drive Since - - Users user-PC Userrs in the external drive is that which is differnt from the internal drive I was wondering if it is OK to delete this Permission or 'attribute' or whatever it is called and create instead one equal to the one in the internal drive - - Administrators user-PC Administrators ANd of course doing so in one go and not file after file after file individually would be ideal Any suggestions my friends Thank you Mich

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/external-drive-behave-and-be-equal-to-all-the-same-files-in-the-internal-drive-631474.html
Relevancy 41.28%

After Transferring file from Seagate External drive to flash drive 16G. (Verbatim)

I can't remove hardware device on Verbatim Flash drive to remove it.

Even after I close all the files, folders and programs in my computer.
It won't say "safe to remove device".

I have to switch off the computer to remove the flash drive.

Is this normal or what ?

If not what can be the problem ? I can fix ?

Is it safe to remove device even if I can't disable the usb flash drive ?
I closed all the files, fodlers and programs before I remove.

Thanks.

A:Transferring file from Seagate External drive to flash drive

The computer may still be saving data to the Flash. Or it is caught in ROM. If your certain the transfer is complete, you can pull the drive. You may want to do a Check Disk on the Flash Drive to make sure it is in good order.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/transferring-file-from-seagate-external-drive-to-flash-drive-634069.html
Relevancy 41.28%

i'm using windows 7, my external hard drive shows up in my devices and printers section but it won't show up as a drive, so i can't view any files in that external hard drive. if i put a memory card in, it shows up as a drive and a flag shows up for when i want to unplug that drive and it asks if i want to remove my external hard drive too.

normally when i turn on the external hard drive it autoplays but it doesn't do that anymore.

i don't understand why it shows up in my devices and printers but not as a drive when i open windows explorer.

i've looked into the external hard drives properties and it all says that the device is working properly.

A:problem with external hard drive not showing as a drive in windows 7

Go into Control Panel (classic view) ---> Administrative Tools ---> Computer Management ---> Disk Management.

In bottom-right pane, if you see a horizontal band representing a drive with no drive-letter assigned to it, that's the cause of your problem. You need to give it a drive-letter:

Right-click that horizontal band and choose "Change drive letter and paths".

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/problem-with-external-hard-drive-not-showing-as-a-drive-in-windows-7-a-505756.html
Relevancy 41.28%

well i just got a brand new WD Elements basic storage 1tb external hard drive. my plan was to create a back up image of my laptops hard drive and instead created a clone. my computer no longer recognizes the drive as an external hd but as replicated computer and recovery drives. i just want to wipe the drive but i cant locate it. i did find it on disk management but i cant delete all the parts and it would not let me format it. i can format the cloned drives just not the the external drive as a whole. some help would be amazing

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-reset-an-external-hard-drive-or-remove-a-drive-clone.1169066/
Relevancy 41.28%

I purchased a Western Digital gb external hard drive My Passport Essential I think a few years back with the idea that I would use it as a backup to my main computer and or an alternative hard drive storage for my music But I have been sadly deceived and luckily I have only used it as a sync temporary access drive when I needed to print stuff away from home Well the time has come to upgrade to a new computer with more space and speed etc than current and I have been trying to find ways to transfer my existing files across In my search I have stumbled across many forums websites that advise the WD external hdd and the preinstalled software WD Sync Dmailer Sync a hard backup Use as external drive drive Digital Western whichever it is now is not suitable as a backup drive and that if the computer is erased and at any point resync ed the data on the external hdd Use Western Digital external hard drive as a backup drive will be deleted Also many people advise they have lost files as a result of computer crashes etc and cannot retrieve the files from either their WD hdd or their computer All of which has prompted me to start this thread Can anyone please tell me is there Use Western Digital external hard drive as a backup drive a way to Transfer my files to my new computer using the WD external hdd NB Not as important as I have alternative methods may start another thread Turn the WD hdd into a back up drive without purchasing the Dmailer Backup software NB I am not opposed to buying new software but I feel I have been quot done quot by a highstreet actually retail park computer store and I don t particularly want to purchase a product that has more limitations Register my new Use Western Digital external hard drive as a backup drive computer with it so that I can wipe give this computer and give it away Alternatively wipe the WD hdd and start all over again I have contacted Dmailer already but patience it not my strongest point specs current windows XP gb hdd memory unknown celeron M processor new windows gb hdd gb memory core duo processor - both laptops notebook nbsp

Relevancy 41.28%

I recently purchased a western digital T My Book Essential to and external for an drive drive suggestions hard software to back up Need quot automatically quot backup my PC s internal hard drive and a Passport Need suggestions for software to back up hard drive and an external drive External drive I have that contains my media files I installed WD s Smartware software on my PC and learned that it will only backup my hard drive I also noticed that it seems to consume alot of processor capacity computer running much slower with it attached and my computer won t start up when attached When I Need suggestions for software to back up hard drive and an external drive called WD about my concerns they indicated that there is rd party software available that will allow me to automatically backup both my internal hard drive and the passport and may not require as much processor space they wouldn t provide specific recommendations They also sent me instructions on how to adjust my PC so that it Need suggestions for software to back up hard drive and an external drive won t try to boot up from MY Book interesteingly enough I ve never had this problem with my passport I have not yet had a chance to try their recommendations Suggestions on a good rd party back-up software would be appreciated Thanks

A:Need suggestions for software to back up hard drive and an external drive

Acronis has a good reputation.http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/340390/need-suggestions-for-software-to-back-up-hard-drive-and-an-external-drive/
Relevancy 41.28%

Dear Sir Madame I was moving video files AVI from an external backup drive WD Element to another external backup drive Seagate expansion after having moved another video file from my laptop Acer to that Seagate external drive The night before I had moved some video files from the WD drive, Was lost not moving recognized to files drive and external all to the Seagate with no problem Was moving files to external drive, drive not recognized and lost all but using a different laptop Sony These video files are all rather large and Was moving files to external drive, drive not recognized and lost all I can tell that the space is still being allocated on the Seagate because while the folder cannot be seen the space that was there is still being used by the Seagate because I am missing over GB which would be about the size of that now missing folder What happened was there was a message that the Seagate drive could not be recognized while the files were in the process of being moved to that drive from the WD This is after I had already moved a video file of about GB with no problem into that now missing folder When I saw the message I attempted several times to move files to that Seagate drive but I could not so I unplugged the Seagate drive from that laptop Acer then reinserted it into the usb port I got a repair message that said it needed to be repaired because some files were corrupted and that no data would be lost but the drive would be unavailable during the repairs so I checked ok It took only about seconds and it said the repairs were completed and the drive was available but I noticed that the folder that I was moving the video files to was not gone As I stated there are more than GB of files in that folder some are video and others are audio recordings that were created by using the myrecording audio and video features of the Acer laptop and they are very important so I need to figure out if they can be retrieved from that Seagate drive I have not copied anything else onto that Seagate drive but I have plugged it into the Acer computer to ensure it is being recognized Both the external drives WD and Seagate are plug and play that are powered from the usb -- they have no power adapters

A:Was moving files to external drive, drive not recognized and lost all

Dear Sir/Madame,
Update to the problem with the missing folder, I use the Acer to record audio and video files to it -- I saw a message that it was low on memory so I decided to connect the WD elements external drive to free up some storage. When I attached the WD Elements drive as the drive booted up to be recognized the missing folder appeared as an option to be opened but the folder never resided on that drive it was on the Seagate drive (the folder is entitled documentary footage moved from WD Elements). I clicked on it just to see what would happen and received this message "E:\Documentary footage from WD Elements is unavailable. If the location is on this PC, make sure the device is connected or the disc is inserted, and then try again. If the location is on a network, make sure you're connected to the network or Internet, and then try again. If the l."

So I thought let me connect the Seagate to see if Windows will find it there but when I connected the Seagate I still could not access the folder. It appears that for some reason Windows 10 confused that the folder was resident on the wrong drive (WD Elements) during the transfer of files to the original folder at the time it stated it could not access the Seagate drive so perhaps that is the reason the folder became missing.

I do not know what to believe as I still suspect that this is a windows 10 problem and not an external drive problem but I do not know how to fix it. My initial thought is to connect both of the drives and restart the Acer laptop but I am fearful that I will lose all the data from that folder so I have not done anything. I am certain that there will be an update from windows that will force a restart but I did not want to change any of the settings that were in place at the time of this problem.

I still need help with this problem and I need to move files off of the Acer too so that I can free up storage space.

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/42377-moving-files-external-drive-drive-not-recognized-lost-all.html
Relevancy 41.28%

hi guys. the external hard drive, here at work, cannot be detected by any of the computers. my thoughts are that the data was wiped clean. i've removed the hard drive from the case and installed it onto my computer as a slave drive. a) how can i view if these files still exist. and b) if they are missing, can you recommend a software recovery program?

Relevancy 41.28%

Hello all I have a technical background Primary hard drive, USB make use external an and a bootable you Can Drive as hardware control systems but am by no means a threat to any IT guy who actually understands DOS Can you make an external USB hard drive, bootable and use as a Primary Drive Greek or different OS platforms In that regard I will claim ignorance with a smidgen of knowledge---just so you know who you are dealing with and will correspondingly dumb down your answers to my level slightly smarter than a pile of rocks when it comes to absorbing this type of information I have a Dell GX GHz computer with Windows XP Pro SP that is replacing my older MHz machine I have painfully copied all programs files and added the peripheral hardware printer scanner modems to make this a duplicate replacement computer system with an addition monitor I have read all the posts for making a bootable flash drive stick Can you make an external USB hard drive, bootable and use as a Primary Drive and made both a Hirens bootable stick three different sticks Sandisk GB Kingston GB and a generic GB and a BartPE bootable CD disk my eyes bled and the hammering base drum in my head has subsided I m Scotch Irish German with no desire to conquer the world drink every Pub dry and do it for little or no money but I am stubborn hard-headed and tenacious to a fault My goal is to make a stand-a-lone Seagate FreeAgent USB self powered external drive a working replacement quot main drive quot for my computer with it s own operating system XP Pro SP I used the Seagate software to clone the C SATA drive to this USB drive NTFS The reality is to have a cloned external hard drive that could be used to boot a computer and clone a new internal hard drive if the original SATA drive had a mechanical malfunction I don t want to just backup files but all programs drivers and the same OS The USB drive works as a duplicate storage device with all files and information that the SATA drive holds when one does a normal boot The USB drive won t boot after the BIOS has been changed to USB device priority in the boot file The sticks do but not this hard drive I assume it lacks either the boot ini files that the sticks need or that the USB recognition function for a hard drive come later in the boot sequence and thus is not recognized Obviously I don t understand this stuff or I could fix it myself In my readings of boot problems on this site I noticed a topic about multiple partitioning of a stick as well as fooling the DOS into thinking the stick was an actual internal hard drive thus assigning drive letters for the primary and remaining volume It is a guide in the guide forum actually a post to a link lancelhoff multi-partition USB flash drive in windows Is this the approach to use or am I mixing apples with oranges and doomed to fry something l nbsp

A:Can you make an external USB hard drive, bootable and use as a Primary Drive

Hi

not sure what you are trying to acheive, from what ive read you cant get windows to boot from an exteranl usb hdd no matter what you do.

if its just for disaster recovery then do what i do.

you can ,make flash sticks bootable but i never could make a HDD bootable using windows, so i took the drive out of the enclosure and put it in my laptop, i booted from a win98 cd and fdisked and formatted the drive then sys'd it to make it bootable, i copied ghost onto it and wrote a small autoexec.bat file to set ghost running at boot up.

i then booted from it with it plugged into the laptop and ran a disk clone to a file onto the USB HDD.

when i want to restore it i just image the drive in from the USB HDD and im done.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-you-make-an-external-usb-hard-drive-bootable-and-use-as-a-primary-drive.142491/
Relevancy 41.28%

Hi How Icon External the Backup I restore for Drive Drive? do Seagate my When I switched my Laptop on yesterday the nice Seagate Icon for my external backup hard How do I restore the Seagate Drive Icon for my External Backup Drive? drive had vanished but has been replaced by a dull looking generic Windows page icon This external backup drive is the K drive on my system I surfed google yesterday trying to find some advice on how to restore what was a very attractive Icon but have been struggling to find any advice I could understand or thought I'd be How do I restore the Seagate Drive Icon for my External Backup Drive? able to follow On a positive note I have located the exact file for the disappeared icon on my laptop its called SeagatePortable ico and I have copied it to my desktop temporarily but I have no idea how to re-apply this icon to my K drive Whilst surfing I discovered a simple freeware program called quot Drive Icon Changer quot so I downloaded this program and tried to use it It is very easy to use but try as I might I cannot get this programme to interact with my K drive so I've given up and uninstalled that programme as in this instance at least it clearly does not do what it is supposed to be able to do I also saw some advice about going to a DOS prompt I do not understand what this means or how to do it and deleting or editing something called the autorun inf file - I suspect this type of action would be well beyond my understanding and I'd probably do more harm than good if I attempted to edit this sort of system file and got it wrong I've also done a system restore - to a back up point of a couple of days ago when I know the icon was showing but this has not made the icon re-appear I've also disconnected the External Drive switched everything off and then reconnected and switched it back on again this hasn t made any difference I've also right clicked on my K Drive and gone to properties where there is a customise tab that has a picture option which reads quot Choose a file to show on this folder icon quot I've tried using this function but again it has no effect All in all I'm totally baffled and a little frustrated I had thought this would be a simple little glitch to fix Any help or advice would be very very much appreciated Thanks in advance

A:How do I restore the Seagate Drive Icon for my External Backup Drive?

Also just spotted an obsolete thread on this site where someone suggested:-

"Un-install the driver while the external drive is connected and then rebooted and let windows reinstall - everything should go back to normal when Windows re-discovered the drive".

I don't know if this might cure my problem ? . . but unfortunately I do not know how to uninstall a driver ?

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/305094-how-do-i-restore-seagate-drive-icon-my-external-backup-drive.html
Relevancy 41.28%

I have an old BYTECC hard drive enclosure Trying to use it on an older XP system for back up Got a bunch of G hard drives I can use The OS will detect the external drive is connected and powered up arrow shows in the tray for a USB drive checked the device manager and it sezs the drive is there and operating properly recognizes it but does not assign a drive letter AIDA sezs it is there but same deal shows no drive not External letter a Solved: assigned drive hard drive letter I ve tried four different hard drives with the same results I know the hardware works on other computers this particular computer USB works with other canned external drives it reads a Solved: External hard drive not assigned a drive letter flash memory stick as a drive no problem I know the BYTECC is set up properly should be the same as with other computers Works ok on a Win system What could be the problem Is there something to tweak I do know this XP system would not read hard drives that had been formatted on non-XP computers before Don t exactly know what systems Solved: External hard drive not assigned a drive letter all these drives were formatted on Isn t making any sense to me at the moment Doing it just like I did on the Win system with other drives everything worked as it should Thinking I could try to slap one of the drives in as a slave and try to format it that way hopefully can get it to be read as a USB drive instead Any help greatly appreciated Thanks nbsp

A:Solved: External hard drive not assigned a drive letter

If the drive shows up in Disk Management (Start/Run/diskmgmt.msc/OK), right-click the drive icon or the area showing the drive below, select "Change drive letter and paths". In the next window click "Add". Next window click the radio button for "Assign the following drive letter". Select a drive letter. Click OK.

Raybro

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-external-hard-drive-not-assigned-a-drive-letter.856433/
Relevancy 41.28%

Hi My external hard-drive stopped working yesterday This is what s happening I Solved: before External the you can F: it. hard-drive:...format disk drive in use plug it in as usual then it says quot You need to format the disk in drive F before you can use it Do you want to format it quot I m thinking it s more than likely an issue of having pulled out the usb cable without clicking safely remove Yesterday I actually got it working again briefly by typing quot chkdsk F R quot into command prompt Now when I do that it doesn t work it says quot The type of the file system Solved: External hard-drive:...format the disk in drive F: before you can use it. is NTFS Unable to determine volume version and state CHKDSK aborted quot And when I double click on F drive in my computer it says quot F is not accessible The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable quot Are there any other options besides using some sort of data recovery tool I d rather not do this just because it takes a long time nbsp

A:Solved: External hard-drive:...format the disk in drive F: before you can use it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-external-hard-drive-format-the-disk-in-drive-f-before-you-can-use-it.1052654/
Relevancy 41.28%

I have read the related thread from earlier this month - External USB Hard Drive Not Recognized and wonder if anyone can help with my issue I am also curious what everyone thinks Problem and Hard Flash Drive External Drive Recognition of the end of that thread regarding a better cable - Maxtor tech support External Hard Drive and Flash Drive Recognition Problem did not confirm that story for me Is that in fact a better cable than what Maxtor ships with their drives I have a month old Dell month old external hard drive and month old flash memory All work separately However when I have the external hard drive plugged External Hard Drive and Flash Drive Recognition Problem in and working and then plug in the flash memory it will not be recognized If I have the flash External Hard Drive and Flash Drive Recognition Problem memory plugged in and working and then plug in the external hard drive it will not be recognized The only difference is that in the first case the external hard drive will continue to be readable by XP while in the second case XP doesn t lose touch with the flash memory but it will show it incorrectly as empty Both externals and all ports are USB The flash drive is assigned to E The external had been assigned to E as well but I have now changed it to P I am on a network so F through O are taken The PC is a standard university issue Pentium quite a bit of memory and capabilities but nothing excessive The external drive is a Maxtor Personal Series Gb USB The flash memory is a Mb Dell Memory Key nbsp

Relevancy 41.28%

Hello all This is an ASUS P P TD-Pro socket Q latest BIOS release Works normally in all known other aspects Windows Enterprise x GB memory BIOS settings all amp quot auto amp quot i e no OC or anything of the sort On-board LAN Serial parallel IEEE all disabled NVidia video card also set for defaults There are six internal SATA ports native ICH R with five fixed internal drives connected The sixth port goes to an external SATA tray intended for hot-plugging bare drives The BIOS does not distinguish between fixed and removable drives forcibly dismounts = Why?? external Hot-plug drive. drive internal as some newer BIOSs permit All you get to set is IDE emulation or AHCI The drives are all set for AHCI to enable hot-swapping The SATA driver in Windows is the Hot-plug external drive = forcibly dismounts internal drive. Why?? Intel RST recommended by ASUS for Hot-plug external drive = forcibly dismounts internal drive. Why?? this board I have not allowed it to update to more recent versions All this stuff basically works but there's one screwy problem I can't seem Hot-plug external drive = forcibly dismounts internal drive. Why?? to resolve Out of the four drives that typically get hot-plugged into the external bay three of them work exactly as you'd expect them to The OS detects them and mounts them with a drive letter H which is the next in line No problem ONE of the four drives causes this weird problem where it actually causes a dismount of one of the fixed drives Not only a dismount but it disappears from the list of devices too And to make it even stranger the new drive mounts with the correct drive letter H even though it knocks off the drive designated E Aaargh But it gets even stranger -- I've deliberately set a number of applications to have open file handles on E both local and network Like six open file handles Even those are forcibly closed when this problematic drive is detected even though as I said it eventually mounts to drive H Good grief And yet stranger as soon as I go to Device Manager and force hardware redetection the original Drive E is redetected and the handles are restored Does anyone have an idea what could be going on here and how to cure it I've considered a secure erase on the problem HDD thinking that its serial number is at the root of this conflict Anyone think that this might work For some reason the paragraph breaks are deleted from this post It WAS originally somewhat more readable with them but after three attempts to insert breaks it looks like that's not going to happen

A:Hot-plug external drive = forcibly dismounts internal drive. Why??

That's a first time hearing an issue like that, I am puzzled as well, I'd look at BIOS settings and drivers as cause or bad drive electronics on the ONE.

Is there something different about that one?

I would have your co. pay for another drive in that situation and probably perform destruction procedures on the one not working, or DoD procedures to wipe it if it's under warranty before RMA'n it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/297007-hot-plug-external-drive-forcibly-dismounts-internal-drive-why.html
Relevancy 41.28%

Why do files moved to an external to drive files the and same drive equal internal external behave be in all the drive not behave the same as those same files in an internal drive I noticed that if I do anything to a file that is in an external drive that file can not external drive behave and be equal to all the same files in the internal drive be saved under the same name read only In order to do so one must save it internally and then copy or move it to the external drive So I did just that--I copied a file from taken from an external drive saved it in the internal one and then copied it back to the external one Now if I r-click the propeerties of these same files and then go to the Security tab a difference external drive behave and be equal to all the same files in the internal drive is immediately apparent The internal one has - - System amp - My-computername user-PC user and - - Administrators user-PC Administrators with all accounts allowing all full control read write etc While the external drive has in Properties - - System - - Administrators user-PC Administrators and - - Users user-PC Userrs with this final d one and different one with no Allow for quot full control or modify or write So how does one have all its files in this external drive behave and be equal to all the same files in the internal drive Since - - Users user-PC Userrs in the external drive is that which is differnt from the internal drive I was wondering if it is OK to delete this Permission or attribute or whatever it is called and create instead one equal to the one in the internal drive - - Administrators user-PC Administrators ANd of course doing so in one go and not file after file after file individually would be ideal Any suggestions my friends Thank you Mich nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-drive-behave-and-be-equal-to-all-the-same-files-in-the-internal-drive.1041859/
Relevancy 41.28%

Hi,

My Fujitsu Amilo Li1705 laptop has been reaching full capacity (80gb) for a while so I decided to get a new hard drive.

I've updated the RAM from 1gb to 2gb with no problem.

My hard drive has arrived but with no cables, instructions etc. and searching the web has proved just as unfruitful as most sites refer to external hard drives.

I don't have an external disc so was wondering if there's any way of copying everything over. I've heard of temporarily taking the CD drive out to have the two drives at once but wouldn't know where to start.

Any help/ instructions would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Dale

A:Replacing Fujitsu hard drive - how to copy without external drive?

Obviously you did not build a Recovery Disc originally?

You can just order a Recovery Disc from HERE

If your machine is not supported, then then sometimes the Fujitsu forum members will help, at Their Forum

That's 3 ways of getting your Recovery media. I hope it helps

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/replacing-fujitsu-hard-drive-how-to-copy-without-external-drive.138958/
Relevancy 41.28%

Hi everyone I have a Dell Dimension E running Windows XP SP The external installing found drive: 556s, Trouble not DVD drive DVD HP internal dvd drive does not work - Trouble installing external DVD drive: HP DVD 556s, drive not found was last replaced in shortly after buying the computer Its issue is we put in a CD and nothing happens So I just bought an external dvd drive the HP dvd s so that I Trouble installing external DVD drive: HP DVD 556s, drive not found can play a game I hooked up the drive - the power indicator is blue which means it s drawing sufficient power from the USB port to run - and then popped in the installation CD Installation did not autorun so I went to My Computer The drive is not showing My Computer shows removable drives F-J and when I click on all of them it says quot please insert a disk into the drive quot I m not sure what each of these drives is for - it s not my computer - but they all are still present even when the DVD drive is unplugged so they can t be that The USB port works - I plugged in a wireless mouse and a webcam both of which work into the drive and they still worked The dvd drive says it is pulling sufficient power - the blue light is on which the manual says is good to go When I pop in the install cd it seems to spin briefly hard to tell it is a quiet drive but nothing pops up on screen I tried my game CD as well and of course nothing happened Now when I plugged in the wireless mouse to that same port My Computer showed it up as drive L Once I removed it drive L disappeared I m not quite sure what this means only that the new DVD drive does not seem to be recognized by the computer I plugged it into other working ports and nada I took the drive to Best Buy and they plugged it in and it worked for them They let me swap it for an identical drive anyway but the new drive STILL is not recognized How can I get the computer to recognize the drive so I can install the software Thanks nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/trouble-installing-external-dvd-drive-hp-dvd-556s-drive-not-found.889663/
Relevancy 41.28%

hi there,
i just bought a preowned Seagate Freeagent Goflex,when i plugged it into my usb port windows installed the driver,but when i click on my computer it dosnt show though in disk management it is listed and online,i also have enabled automount and changed it from dynamic to basic.
Im not great on computers and any help would be greatly appreciated i only want to use the new disk for back ups.
Many thanks in advance.
paul.

A:windows wont allocate drive letter to external drive

Please post a full screenshot of Windows Disk Management with only the Seagate Freeagent GoFlex external drive plugged in. ( Plug out all other external drives). Please read this tutorial and adhere to the guidelines therein to post a full Screenshot disabling Console Tree, Action Pane and adjusting the seperators as necessary to show all information. Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/395666-windows-wont-allocate-drive-letter-external-drive.html
Relevancy 41.28%

I have an external hard drive and a 1GB travel drive that I use interchangeably between my work laptop and home PC. My traveldrive no longer is saving documents (I get a file permission error) and when I looked at the drive, the Traveldrive was opening as an F: drive, now it is showing G: drive and is not working correctly. Help! I have a lot of work on the traveldrive and am no longer able to save info. on it UGH!!! How do I get it back to F: drive?

A:external hard drive and travel drive changed directories

Hello & Welcome to TSF

this sounds like a driver issuse

try this

now what i you need to do is go to your (device manager)

now once there you will want to select from the toolbar of the window(veiw) then a drop down menu / from it you will select (show all hidden devices)

now if you see any (red or yellow) quotation marks , make a note of what they

now scroll down to your (USB Device Tree) and uninstall all that it is shown / then shut your sysem down compleatly then unplug all (USB Devices) then rebot your system 2 to 3 times

this will cause Windows to rebuild the (USB Device Treee & Drivers)

now try hooking up your (USB Devices) and see if they work properly

then get back to us

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/external-hard-drive-and-travel-drive-changed-directories-332766.html
Relevancy 41.28%

Hard drive crash enquiry
My hard drive recently crashed on my desktop running XP and due to the discontinuation of support for XP, I decided to upgrade with a new motherboard, memory, hard drive etc., now running Win 8.1, which has been working fine so far. My problem is that there is data and pictures on the old hard drive which I would like to recover. Can someone advise whether it would be practical to re-install the failed drive along side my new HD in my desktop and reboot as normal and then try and access the failed drive like an external drive? I have already tried booting from the failed drive alone which did not get past the BIOS stage before switching off. Any suggestions would be helpful.

A:Create an external drive from a hard driveHard drive crash

IIf the drive is Sata I or II then you can get a USB 2.0 Docking Station for around $20. Plug it in the USB port and slide the drive in. See if you can read it. If it doesn't work the dock is still handy to have.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/44389-create-external-drive-hard-drivehard-drive-crash.html
Relevancy 41.28%

I got errors from Google that my computer had a virus but nothing I ran could find a virus then the machine would not boot It would get to point about the time windows tried to load and hit a blue screen When it rebooted it would ask if I wanted to boot normal or safe mode and then start the whole fail blue screen over I tried taking the drive out and connecting to my other machines as an external hard drive When the drive connects to my other machines it brings the other machines down hard - blue screen exactly as if I had tried to boot on crashes external Trying drive Hard - all connect as Crash to Drive the original machine The goal is Hard Drive Crash - Trying to connect as external drive crashes all to get the files off the bad drive I was just shocked that connecting it to my laptop or my other desktop took those machines down just like I was trying to boot the bad drive from the original machine I am open to suggestions on recovery of any kind The original machine is a Dell XPS Intel Core i - processor Windows bit The drive is a Seagate Tb The machines I tried to connect faulty drive to as external hard drive were both Win The external hard drive bay is Sabrent USB to SATA External Hard Drive Thank you

A:Hard Drive Crash - Trying to connect as external drive crashes all

There may be a couple of vectors to the virus. One for the boot sequence, another as an autorun in its root folder. I would try usb tethering the drive to a machine on which autorun or autoplay is completely turned off (as in, no exploration), or maybe better, run a Linux live session off a usb stick or dvd. I recommend LinuxLite.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/378112-hard-drive-crash-trying-connect-external-drive-crashes-all.html
Relevancy 41.28%

I have a large number of "Favorites" created on my desktop which is running Windows 10 and Edge as the browser. I would like to have all of those same "Favorites" on my laptop that is also running windows 10 and Edge. How
can I copy the "Favorites" file from my desktop to my laptop so that I don't have to enter one-by-one each site and mark it as a favorite on the laptop? 

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/fce6de3b-1422-45ec-b07d-a4a508dd069b/transfer-quotfavoritequot-files-in-edge-to-another-computer-also-using-windows-10-and-edge?forum=ieitprocurrentver
Relevancy 40.85%

I'm having trouble getting Windows x RC Build to a as hard accessible Seagate drive external drive not recognize my Seagate quot External Hard Drive GB Model ST EXA -RK It is connected through a Seagate external hard drive not accessible as a drive USB port on my Asus K V SE Motherboard - running an AMD Athlon GHz and GB of RAM Currently this hard drive when connected appears in Device and Printers as as quot Device quot named Desktop Right Click - gt Properties shows that it is a storage device Device Manager recognizes it as a Disk Drive and calls it a Seagate Desktop USB Device - no conflicts Under Computer Management - gt Storage - gt Disk Management the drive appears as Disk - Basic and Online statuses If I try and assign it a drive letter I get the following quot The operation failed to complete becasue the Disk Managment Console view is out of date Please refresh the console view quot Only one conflict exists in Device Manager - I have one Unknown Device under USB Controllers When viewing that device it gives me a Code error Thoughts Thanks in advance Ollie

A:Seagate external hard drive not accessible as a drive

Has it been initalized & formated?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/10564-seagate-external-hard-drive-not-accessible-drive.html
Relevancy 40.85%

Why do files moved to an external drive same file as drive internal drive external save the not on not behave the same as those same files in an internal drive I noticed that if I do anything to a file that is in an external drive that file can not save file on external drive not the same as internal drive be saved under the same name read only In order to do so one must save it internally and then copy or move it to the external drive So I did just that--I copied a file from taken from an external drive saved it in the internal one save file on external drive not the same as internal drive and then copied it back to the external one Now if I r-click the propeerties of these same files and then go to the 'Security' tab a difference is immediately apparent The internal one has - - System amp - My-computername user-PC user and - - Administrators user-PC Administrators with all accounts allowing all full control read write etc While the external drive has in Properties - - System - - Administrators user-PC Administrators and - - Users user-PC Userrs with this final d one and different one with no Allow for quot full control or modify or write So how does one have all its files in this external drive behave and be equal to all the same files in the internal drive Since - - Users user-PC Userrs in the external drive is that which is differnt from the internal drive I was wondering if it is OK to delete this Permission or 'attribute' or whatever it is called and create instead one equal to the one in the internal drive - - Administrators user-PC Administrators ANd of course doing so in one go and not file after file after file individually would be ideal Any suggestions my friends Thank you

A:save file on external drive not the same as internal drive

Dear pintree3,
I've noticed that you posted the same "verbatim" in techguy.org with no answer forthcoming!
external drive behave and be equal to all the same files in the internal drive - Tech Support Guy Forums

Can you please bring more clarity to your query? That will start the juices running in all of us here to ponder and post. Sorry if i sounded rude.

regards!

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/215166-save-file-external-drive-not-same-internal-drive.html
Relevancy 40.85%

My C: drive only has a 9.43G capacity and I only have 240MB of free space left. I bought a 500G external hard drive, but I need to know if I can transfer all the files and programs from the C: to the external hard drive? Helpppppppppppppppppppppppppppp

A:Transfering c drive data to external hard drive

You can transfer all your data files safely - the operating system (windows XP Pro) should stay on an internal drive and I wouldn't attempt to run programs from your external drive - internal hard drives are quite cheap and easy to install - I would be inclined to get a bigger internal drive into your computer and use the external one for portability and back up purposes.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/transfering-c-drive-data-to-external-hard-drive-320844.html
Relevancy 40.85%

Hi Guys!
I need some help. I purchased an external hard drive per TSG help. Thank you. Everything has been working so far. I leave the Seagate External Hard Drive plugged into my USB port, which identified it as being on the E:/ drive. Anything else will be F: drive. Suddenly, the Seagate External Hard Drive is coming up as the F: drive location

I placed some programs, such as the Wise Disk/Registery Cleaner, onto the external hard drive to free up limited space on the C: drive. The shortcut indicates the E: drive so the computer is preventing the Wise Disk Cleaner from running. I have unpluged the external hard drive and shut the computer off several time. Nothing changes the drive's location.

Any suggestions????
Thank you.

A:External Hard drive changed drive location

Hi Siam, you can choose what letter the drive should show up as. To do this, go to:
Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management and click on Disk Management.
On the right in the bottom pane you will see a list of your drives. Find the external hard drive and right click on it and select Change Drive Letter and Paths... then click on Change and you can select E: from the drop down and click OK.
Hope that solves it...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-changed-drive-location.1015105/
Relevancy 40.85%

I recently bought a new computer, the hard drive only had 320 gb of storage though, so I upgraded to a 1TB hard drive and made the old hard drive into an external.

The first time I plugged it in, it crashed my computer, so I cleaned it using disk part. Now my computer wont open it at all. It doesnt show up on "my computer" or on other computers either. Its simply inaccessible.

So what can I do?

A:Old hard drive isnt working as an external drive

Have you looked in Disk Management? http://pcsupport.about.com/od/termsd/p/disk-management.htm

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/old-hard-drive-isnt-working-as-an-external-drive.1098018/
Relevancy 40.85%

I have a LaCie Porsche Design P9223 Slim External 500GB USB3Hard Drive that my father was using on his computer (with no problem). We're both running Windows 7. My computer, a Dell Studio XPS9000, won't recognize it in "My Computer". There's no drive letter!

It shows up in Device Manager ( says, "this device is working properly")
Show up in USB Safely Remove
Shows up in Devices and Printers
Shows up in Disk Management as Unknown/Unitialized, Disk 10. (When I right click and try to initialize it, it says "Device is not ready".)
The Driver is up to date
It works when I attach it to my husband's laptop, running Windows XP.

What can I do to assign it a drive letter???

Peg

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-wont-assign-drive-letter-to-external-drive.1158228/
Relevancy 40.85%

i have a freecom external hard drive. it was working fine until one day it decided to stop working.

this light on the drive lights up but i can't hear anything working inside it. and now it won't show up as a drive when i open windows explorer.

please help?

A:External hard drive not showing as a drive in windows 7

Hi have you tried it in another computer to see if it works there

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/external-hard-drive-not-showing-as-a-drive-in-windows-7-a-541782.html
Relevancy 40.85%

Hi,

I bought a brand new Toshiba USB 3.0 & 2.0 1.0 TB drive online but can't get it going.

I put the drive in and it goes through the driver installation okay and says 'Driver installed successfully'.

Then I go into 'Administrative tools', then 'Computer Management' then 'Disk Management'. Then I right-click the unknown Disk drive (which is the USB drive), and select 'initialize' as it says it's not initialized. I select 'MBR' for Master Boot Record, then hit 'ok' but it says 'The Device is not ready' and that's as far as I get.

Am I doing anything wrong? Can anyone assist?

I'm running Windows 7.

Many thanks in advance for any help and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Ana

A:Unable to initialize external USB drive - it says 'drive not ready'

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/unable-to-initialize-external-usb-drive-it-says-drive-not-ready.1116387/
Relevancy 40.85%

I cant figure this out...my drives have simply disappeared from my computer suddenly.
The last time I took it to Geek Squad got made fun of then they fixed it and said iTunes messed it up. Well I would like how to fix it myself or attempt to before my pride has to take another blow

A:Solved: Disc Drive and External Drive AWOL

What drives do you have in/on this machine and are ALL of your drives not listed including the C drive?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-disc-drive-and-external-drive-awol.831702/
Relevancy 40.85%

Hi all I ve tried to find an answer to this but haven t had external bootable an as drive drive a with netbook Using primary, a USB too much luck and am hoping that someone can help Long story short I have an HP Mini netbook with a damaged hard drive slot pins are all bent out of shape Nothing s actually broken off but I Using an external USB drive as a primary, bootable drive with a netbook have a feeling it s beyond hope unless anyone has any great advice on that So that it s not a total loss I m trying to have the system use an external hard drive WD MyPassport as its hard drive I had backed up the old hard drive with Acronis TrueImage to a WD MyBook and have the Acronis Loader on a smaller USB flash drive So I plug all three of these things into USB ports and start up the netbook The following paragraph isn t exact since I don t fully remember all the options and what they are all called and everything I ll do my best but basically I think I did everything possible It boots from the Flash Drive and loads the Acronis program It finds the image file on the MyBook and gives me the option of restoring the image from the MyBook to the MyPassport I select everything files file structure MBR and it sends it all over to the MyPassport which had previously been empty and now looks like it has everything that should be on there as it has the full directories and everything that had been on the netbook So full of hope I turn the netbook off unplug the other two things and leave the MyPassport plugged in I start it up And it says there was nothing bootable found I ve tried going through everything that I can any option that seems like it s relevant and I m just not getting anything to work If anyone has any suggestions of anything I did wrong or anything to try or do differently or anything I would really appreciate it Thank you in advance for any help nbsp

A:Using an external USB drive as a primary, bootable drive with a netbook

Why did you duplicate your old drive onto an entirely new one? You could just buy a $10 SATA to USB enclosure for the original 3.5" HDD.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/using-an-external-usb-drive-as-a-primary-bootable-drive-with-a-netbook.155755/
Relevancy 40.85%

Hello all This is puzzling me my windows backup is also backing up one of my external drives I have as well is as drive Windows external C my drive up an backing well as Backup as my 'C' drive yes the one I do want to back up Windows Backup is backing up an external drive as well as my C drive I am looking all over trying to find where I can stop this I am backing up to an external drive and no its not the same drive that's being backed up Here is my set-up Primary Drive quot C quot external drive quot F quot external drive quot G quot external drive quot H quot external drive quot I quot The quot F quot drive is one of my external drives As you can see in the screen shot drive C and F are being backed up Now I want to only back up my quot C quot drive to the quot I quot drive and have that set to do once per week That is what I have it set for I am allowing Windows to choose the files for me Does someone know why this is happening and how to stop it Thanks to all for your help

A:Windows Backup is backing up an external drive as well as my C drive

Windows Backup works in mysterious ways.

That's one of the reason many avoid it. It's not intuitive or easily understood.

It has it's own idea of what needs to be backed up.

Post a screen shot of Windows Disk Management.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/393355-windows-backup-backing-up-external-drive-well-my-c-drive.html
Relevancy 40.85%

I want to copy my data on my Dell that wont start and I can enter command prompt. So can I copy my data to my external drive??
Thank you for any advice..

A:How do i copy my data from the failing drive to my external drive?

Depending on the accessibility status of the hard drive and presuming that its a non booting Windows (not mentioned), try using a Puppy Linux bootable disc and then connect or mount your external to access and copy your data. The tutorial link would give you all the needed information when  working in Linux OS environment.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/516885/how-do-i-copy-my-data-from-the-failing-drive-to-my-external-drive/
Relevancy 40.85%

I have had two Maxtor external hard drives fail on my wife's PC. Each one has only lasted 18 months or less. Even though the backup process was easy and automatic I am considering going with a Flash USB 2.0 Hi-Speed Thumb-type Drive to manually backup important files and images. Is there anything wrong with this method of backup that I'm unaware of?

My wife's PC has genealogy software with lots of files and associated images, etc. (for over 40,000 people), which is about 10GB in size. It is this information that needs to be backed-up whenever additions/changes are made.

I am thinking about replacing the [most recently] expired Maxtor external hard drive with either a 16GB or 32GB Flash USB 2.0 Hi-Speed Thumb-type Drive. Is this a reasonable method for backup? Which GB size would you recommend? Brand?

Thanks!

Relevancy 40.85%

I have a HP Pavillion laptop computer. I needed to replace my hard drive, the salesman at the store said I could buy an external hard drive and remove it from the case and use it as an internal. I did that. Now I get NTLDR is missing. I ordered recovery discs from HP but nothing happens when I try to use them. HP said I need to format the new hard drive but I don't know how. Can someone help a beginner?

Relevancy 40.85%

Hi guys I have a problem whereby an external hard drive won t assign a drive letter automatically I have used Disk Management many times to drive drive assign -- hard automatically External assign it manually but when I disconnect amp reconnect the drive I have to go through it all again in order to read External hard drive -- assign drive automatically the disk i e it doesn t automatically assign a drive when reconnected Does anyone know what I can do to restore the quot plug amp play quot nature of my drive It is a Samsung Story TB USB version Maybe not important but the reason this problem started was because one of my friends took photos videos at my wedding and he has a Mac so I formatted the drive External hard drive -- assign drive automatically with Mac Drive to copy all the stuff across When I got it home and had copied everything I re-formatted the partition as NTFS Viewing it in Disk Management the only partition on the disk is the NTFS volume and there doesn t appear to be any errors Thanks Tys nbsp

A:External hard drive -- assign drive automatically

See if this might help How to Cleanup and Remove old USB Storage Drivers

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-assign-drive-automatically.179460/
Relevancy 40.85%

I was trying to get rid of a persistent Vundo infection yesterday I turned the PC off to reboot when I though I was going into safe mode and went into regular mode instead Now it thinks one of my external drives is the C drive On boot hard system external thinks drive drive is I am getting a message that it system thinks external drive is hard drive cannot recognize find the system windows config file I m paraphrasing I used the repair utility to get to the C prompt which is pointed at the external drive and checked the drive letters I don t think the PC bios knows the hard drive is there I tried going into setup and reverting to factory installed configuration and that didn t change anything I could not get it to recognize the hard drive The PC is a Dell Dimension about years old Dell support out of hardware warranty but will provide phone support said that I should reinstall windows but it will wipe out whatever is on the hard drive They suggested finding a data extraction service I m not against that but I d like to see what I can do to get at the REAL C drive beforehand I do have the factory Windows disk although I am not sure of my product key I also saw the material on windowsinstall com about getting it to recognize the C drive but that seems on the edge of my technical expertise Does anybody have any other suggestions Thanks a lot nbsp

A:system thinks external drive is hard drive

I do have the factory Windows disk, although I am not sure of my product key.Click to expand...

There should be a sticker on your Dell somewhere .. that will tell you the Code for your OS.
Most likely .. you will not need this code to use your Dell recovery CDs

Using the Code finders will not work for the OEM installs in a Dell, HP or others.

I'd remove the drive (at 5 years old) and install a new one .. and recover it.
Then ... there's ways to read the old HD and extract your data from it.
Here's one way >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812156017

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/system-thinks-external-drive-is-hard-drive.803481/
Relevancy 40.85%

I am running Windows Vista.I am using a 1TB Iomega Backup Network Drive.I have tried using the Windows backup and restore program to backup my drive and get the following problem:I then entered some password I found and get:the system cannot find specified path 0x80070003I have the same problem if I use the program it came with Retrospect. This is driving me nuts. any help appreciated.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/373853/cannot-back-up-hard-drive-to-external-network-drive/
Relevancy 40.85%

Dell Inspiron 14 3000 Series
I have this laptop. My question is why would you sell a computer with 32GB hard drive when you know the OS will take up 20GB? How am I supposed to use this computer? I can't upgrade the HD and why should I buy an external drive for a laptop?
I am so utterly confused.
Thanks

A:Can't use laptop because Windows 10 is using 90% of the hard drive, what can I do besides using an external drive?

This isn't a true notebook - it's a glorified tablet/internet appliance.  It's fine as a Windows substitute for a chromebook, but forget running anything demanding on it -- it's designed for a single purpose:  to be inexpensive.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19995393
Relevancy 40.85%

Hello there, I seem to be having an issue with my external hard drive. I am running XP Home edition, 2002 service pack 2. The drive is a Maxtor One Touch III Mini 80gb. The computer is recognising the external hard drive in the in the "Computer Management" area and its stating that the external hard drive is an extended partition and it also does not have a drive letter ie. F: associated with the partition. I cannot get into anything within the drive and I have some very important photos, and school material on there.

Is there anything anyone can suggest because I think I have tried everythinh else!

A:External hard drive no longer represented by a drive

Hi .

The only function of an extended partition...is to contain any number of smaller partitions, which are called/designated logical partitions. Or, to put it another way, the only way to have any logical partitions...is to create an extended partition first.

An external USB hard drive is normally not formatted as an extended partition. There is no need for it, nothing to be gained, since an external hard drive is used as one big storage cabinet.

External hard drives may be formatted as either FAT32 or NTFS file system, with the partition created being a primary partition.

If you have an external drive that does not reflect a drive letter in Disk Management, please post all the info reflected (in Disk Management) for that drive.

If the drive had previously been properly recognized and it now reflects nothing but unformatted space...either your enclosure or the drive inside the enclosure...is probably going bad.

The actual hard drive can be removed from the enclosure.

I...not necessarily you...I would remove the drive from the enclosure and attach it directly to the motherboard temporarily...to see if the motherboard/BIOS/Windows can properly recognize it if directly attached.

In the event that the drive itself is failing, your logical recourse is to attempt to use data recovery software of some type to reclaim/recover data files on the drive.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/216904/external-hard-drive-no-longer-represented-by-a-drive/