Windows Support Forum

Black screen twice on my Vista

Q: Black screen twice on my Vista

Earlier I was surfing when the monitor went black & the laptop shut down. Simple as that/ I booted it up & no problems till a few minutes ago it happened again. Both times I had two tabs open. I'm going to save what needed in case I do a factory restore.` Vista Home Premium

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Black screen twice on my Vista

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Black screen twice on my Vista

Overheating..? Download Speedfan and tell us temps.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/black-screen-twice-on-my-vista.202144/
Relevancy 63.64%

I'm getting the black screen with movable cursor or KSOD Black Screen Of Death on Windows (Black Vista Black Of Death) Screen screen or with cursor movable KSOD Vista Black screen with movable cursor or KSOD (Black Screen Of Death) Vista What happens The system powers on POST BIOS Start windows normally Windows splash screen - gt Black screen with movable cursor or KSOD (Black Screen Of Death) Vista Black screen lt - What I can do I CAN enter BIOS and have reset the default settings I CAN press F to give me advanced boot options but all options have the same result apart from quot Repair your computer quot I CAN load the quot Repair your computer quot option I CAN move the mouse around the screen I CAN press shift times to get a dialogue to appear but no control panel I CAN press the power button to shut down the system I CAN start up in safe Black screen with movable cursor or KSOD (Black Screen Of Death) Vista mode which is exactly the same but with lower resolution I CANNOT seem to do anything else However there are workarounds to accessing the hard drive I CAN use MSDaRT or the System Recovery Tool I CAN use the hard drive as an external USB hard drive on another machine What I've tried Startup Repair - Could not detect a problem System Restore - No restore points Windows Complete PC Restore - A valid restore location could not be found Windows Memory Diagnostics - No errors SFC Scan - No problems Stand alone system sweeper - No problems Hotfix Uninstall - Nothing to uninstall I also COULD do a partial or full quot Packard Bell Recovery quot which is essentially like reinstalling windows I DO NOT want to do this I'm sure this is just a simple software issue really and I would rather avoid a reinstall Can anyone recommend what steps I should try to resolve this Thanks

A:Black screen with movable cursor or KSOD (Black Screen Of Death) Vista

I think I saw this post aver at Toms but I also think you gave some additional info.
I think what may be going on it during the switch from the windows low res video driver to the driver used in normal mode.

Since you can get into safe mode try to go to device manager.
Start|right click computer|properties|device manager.
Look in the display adapter.
Is there a yellow exclamation mark there?
Or is it showing the video that you know should be there?
Please post the video that the machine uses and or the PB model.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/black-screen-with-movable-cursor-or-ksod-black-screen-of-death-vista-410636.html
Relevancy 56.33%

I have looked through loads of other similar problems to mine but can't find an Black (No - wit Loaded came Not Load Vista [SOLVED] boot Will dvd/cd Pre Vista Screen answer A couple of hours after a Windows update I noticed my brand new laptop running very slow for something that should be a speed machine I scanned it with antivirus spybot tuneup utilities scandisk [SOLVED] Vista Will Not Load Black Screen - Pre Loaded Vista (No boot dvd/cd came wit and windows malicious removal tool Nothing showed [SOLVED] Vista Will Not Load Black Screen - Pre Loaded Vista (No boot dvd/cd came wit up After a thorough scan disk effort everything seemed to work very well so I decided to make my acer restore disk just incase anything happened in the future so that i could boot form [SOLVED] Vista Will Not Load Black Screen - Pre Loaded Vista (No boot dvd/cd came wit this dvd and be fine Like a dumbass though I decided to move to a more comfortable spot which in turn managed to pull the power cable out of the laptop during the burn process My battery was not in the machine so it killed the computer power pretty unbelievable when im reading this back but honestly this is what happened Now Vista wont load up It takes an age to get to username and password if ever but then when i click to load it just goes to a black screen and nothing will show up It stays like that for hours I just want to scrap everything on the system and start from scratch Its an acer computer and im pretty sure there is an option to restore laptop to factory settings but as i can't access windows i cant click on it to do this Ive used F and out of these options Repair your computer None of the options worked no restore point on the machine for some reason and i dont have a restore disk as vista was pre loaded onto the machine safe mode Will not load it starts to load then restarts in normal mode safe mode with networking Not tried this because i assumed it would be the same safe mode with command prompt As above enable boot logging Didnt know what this was enable low resolution Didnt try this last know good config This didnt work as computer assumes every boot with black screen is normal debugging mode Didnt know what this was start windows normally Does not work I would just boot from the Vista DVD but as it was a pre-installed system there is no dvd to boot from So annoying This laptop has gb ram ghz amd turion X It shouldnt be running like this I had that all too familiar urge to throw the laptop through the window Someone please help im no expert but usually know how to look after a computer this has never happened to me before and its really really doing my head in Can't believe the power got pulled out Just feel so angry at myself I assume im srewed Please someone come and take away this misery

A:[SOLVED] Vista Will Not Load Black Screen - Pre Loaded Vista (No boot dvd/cd came wit

Hmm.. you have quite a problem there :/ you may need to put your laptop back to the original factory settings which i asume you already know how to do if you own the disk thts the only i can reccomend really if the OS isnt startinf back up propaly

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-vista-will-not-load-black-screen-pre-loaded-vista-no-boot-dvd-cd-came-wit-347335.html
Relevancy 56.33%

Windows appears to load normally until reaching the logon screen at which point 2 quick cmd windows flash on the screen and i'm left with a cursor and a plain blue screen.

No access to task manager through ctrl+alt+del.

I was thinking it's a video card problem until i plugged in an external monitor and saw a windows error box pop up saying that the program running requires that you not be on battery power.

Pulled the drive and scanned with avast and malwarebytes which found nothing.

Inserted Vista DVD but the repair function is only able to find the HP Restore partition and is unable to locate any backups.

The system runs "mini XP" from Hirens Boot without a problem, but no diagnostics that i ran have been able to find any issues...

Ideas?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/371560/vista-boots-into-blue-screen-w-cursor-black-screen-in-safe-mode/
Relevancy 55.9%

---Wow this is frustrating I just got done fixing two other computers- one was helping someone else fix their computer because they were seeking someone with basic expertise and here I am seeking someone with higher knowledge to help me out no screen screen, Windows logon bootup black Vista thanks in advance to all who contribute --- HP Media Windows Vista black screen, no bootup logon screen Center M FWindows Vista bit GB RAM NVIDIA graphics card and plenty of HD spaceF hardware diagnastics A-OK Suddenly this computer decided Windows Vista black screen, no bootup logon screen to malfunction without installing anything new or updates prior to its quot crashing quot I'm pretty wary to spyware and virus of the like so I am careful to what is installed and opened on this computer But for all I know when I was out of the house someone could have accessed the the machine infecting it with something I noticed before I left the house that it took a ridiculously long time to empty out the recycle bin has anyone else had this problem in vista I know there were a lot of high res pictures in there so I'm guessing quite a few gigs of deletion but after an hour it hadn't even progressed It said minutes and appeared to be frozen but was still moving I restarted the computer and tried the same thing-- exact same result lt --- this is the only hint I have as to what happened because before this everything was fine Anyway I got home and turned on the computer after someone turned it off and it just booted up the HP screen and then went to the windows logo loading page except there was no windows logo It displayed the loading bar and moving across the box at the bottom but just with no windows vista logo Then came the blue screen with the moveable mouse pointer I waited hours the mouse pointer still could be moved but the screen was frozen on the light blue hue right before the welcome screen or logon screen I retried this several times with this same result Even CTRL ALT DEL does not work Even more interesting I tried booting in Safe Mode and Safe Mode with Command Prompt both with the same result of black screen with mouse pointer and the text quot Safe Mode quot in all for corners No progression after an hour of waiting Booting windows in quot last known good configuration quot didn't work either There was also a quot repair quot function that precipitated the same results as well The F Recovery Console at the HP boot screen did not work no matter how rhythmic my F pushes were-- not sure why I couldn't recover this system on the recovery partition since HP doesn't send you recovery CDs anymore Lastly I made a Hiren Boot CD followed with my own Windows Vista installer boot CD They both had the same result when booting straight from the cdrom error message on a black screen quot The System memory manager EMM EXE has detected an error caused by a fault in one of the device drivers or programs loaded in the system Due to this fault the system is probably in an unstable state and you are therefore recommended to reboot the computer immediately If the problem persists then try to isolate which program is at fault if you have loaded several then load them one at a atime until the fault appears then contact tech support department for that program Advanced technical information Exception Invalid Opcode DS CB etc etc let me know if you need all the alphanumeric encoding quot When I don't boot straight from the cdrom it freezes and says this quot FD mb System Type- Starting Caldera DR-DOSEMM Copyright etc etc etc lt ---- blinking cursor quot I don't think I'm leaving out much of all but any other inquiries let me know I find this problem extremely odd yet annoying I don't know what else to do this computer is barely a year old Tech support wants or something like for days on one issue even for a recovery cd they want Wow HP Anyways thanks in advance and cheers Nowachi

A:Windows Vista black screen, no bootup logon screen

It may be that someone didn't turn off the PC rather that it experienced a damaging event and shut down.Suggest you check the RAM - remove and reseat and try rebooting. If not successful your mother board may be damaged - nasty thought.There is also this site which may be relevant.http://support.microsoft.com/kb/831515If you can get your PC going suggest you check Event Viewer. Then restore files from the recycle bin and then use SHIFT/DELETE to get rid of them, delete a small file and see if emptying the recycle bin works OKPaul

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/233390/windows-vista-black-screen-no-bootup-logon-screen/
Relevancy 55.9%

After installing the latest NVIDIA 182.50 Drivers for my 8500 GeForce 8500GT card on my Gateway AMD x64 with Vista Home Premium 64bit, now at start up the Boot screen doesn't come up and neither does the Vista green loading bars, just get black screen, no signal until the Vista Logon screen appears. I used to get the Boot screen with F10 boot options and F2 BIOS options and the Gateway Logo, but not anymore.

Any idea why and how I can get the boot screen back ??

http://www.vistax64.com/graphic-cards/223139-black-screen-until-vista-logon-screen-no-video-signal.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi there all I really hope you guys can help me I bought a Samsung R for my son years ago He has had so many problems with this machine and has had to spend hundreds of pounds on repairs replacements Jacks batteries chargers overheating problems and now the latest problem I will explain as well as I can On start up he could put in his password but then after clicking the screen is black with vertical broken lines right across the screen and nothing else happens He infected Vista: worked, with now R700 vertical disc not screen, Samsung Fix. lines, recovery Vista Windows black can use it in safe mode for basic internet connection He backed up his Samsung R700 Vista: black screen, vertical lines, recovery disc not worked, now infected with Windows Vista Fix. files onto an external drive and then used the Samsung recovery Samsung R700 Vista: black screen, vertical lines, recovery disc not worked, now infected with Windows Vista Fix. disc to try to restore Windows etc It didn t work Still exactly as before I found out online that there have been defects with the NVidia graphics card he has the I rolled back the driver to an earlier one and then managed to start up in normal mode but then all the critical error messages started coming up I didn t realise this was a malware at the time and started following it s instructions for fixing the errors It said were fixed and were not I got suspicious when it said I could purchase the fix and googled it then of course arrived on Samsung R700 Vista: black screen, vertical lines, recovery disc not worked, now infected with Windows Vista Fix. your forum I cannot get access to internet explorer on the computer so will have to download any removal tools to my own computer first I have enabled Windows firewall but cannot enable Defender and there is no antivirus now and I cannot find any programs or IE so cannot download an antivirus I am not very computer savvy so please have patience with me I am however very determined to fix my son s computer after all the cash he has had to spend on it I am limited to what I can do because of the malware and it keeps switching the laptop off Please please please help me

A:Samsung R700 Vista: black screen, vertical lines, recovery disc not worked, now infected with Windows Vista Fix.

but then all the critical error messages started coming up.I didn't realise this was a malware at the time and started following it's instructions for fixing the errors.Do you recall what those 'error' messages said? What 'program' did it say they were from? Did it ask that you purchase some software to clean the errors? If so, what was the name of it?Orange Blossom

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/409907/samsung-r700-vista-black-screen-vertical-lines-recovery-disc-not-worked-now-infected-with-windows-vista-fix/
Relevancy 55.47%

Background A start won't black up, before login screen Vista screen. week ago on vacation I opened my HP Pavilion dv - cl a laptop Vista won't start up, black screen before login screen. running Vista Home Premium SP and suddenly green and black lines began forming Vista won't start up, black screen before login screen. across its screen I was later told this was a pressure crack although that is not what I m posting about Freaked out that day I turned the computer off and on several times using only the power button once foolishly interrupting a quot Startup Repair quot process Problem When I got home I hooked up the laptop to my TV so I could see what was going on After attempting to turn it on many times I eventually got the BSOD with a STOP x c f error I couldn t access the Recovery Module even to backup or Safe Mode Going into personally uncharted territory I booted from a Linux System Rescue CD to delete the TxfLog file that was apparently the cause of the problem I no longer get the BSOD I get a black screen KSOD sometimes w mouse sometimes w o after the quot yellow bar quot loading screen I still can t get into Safe Mode but I was able to use a Vista repair CD I downloaded to finally backup onto an external hard drive What I ve Done So Far I ve run chkdsk checked the memory and hard disk from BIOS options and run Startup repair I did the kind of Windows backup where everything goes to one file I d prefer not to start from scratch if I can avoid it Thanks so much for any and all help guys I appreciate it a lot Charlie

A:Vista won't start up, black screen before login screen.

I couldn't access the Recovery Module...Do you have a Recovery CD, Windows Vista CD, or Recovery Drive (partition)?What happened when you tried to access it?------------------------------------------------------------You said that you were able to backup onto an external harddrive, so important data is safe.The best option right now would probably be to re-format.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/413304/vista-wont-start-up-black-screen-before-login-screen/
Relevancy 55.47%

I am posting on behalf of my friend because he cannot get on but he has a cracked versions of ms office 07 and his dad accidently installed the office genuine advantage and Office SP1 and now this has happened. We have tried booting in safe mode, booting off the windows vista disk and restoring the bios back to system defaults but neither of these have worked. He has Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 and his computer is an ACER Aspire.

I will be updating him with any information posted.

All help is highly appreciated.

A:Windows Vista loading screen then screen goes black

Looks like WGA got another one.
I think a format is in order.

As a side note dont put the cracked software back on.
Cheaters never prosper.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-vista-loading-screen-then-screen-goes-black-375655.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Hello I hope someone can help me out with my problem About the problem Yesterday I did a shutdown from the start menu and turned off my monitors however the computer did not shutdown and was still on after minutes so I just turned it off with the power button Today I started my computer it boots I get the instead Vista of boots black screen login to screen usual loading bar and then a black screen and not my welcome screen So I have tried the following to fix it I tried booting with last known configurations and got the same problem I tried booting in safe mode it loads for about minutes and then just stops loading I tested the memory with a memory test from Acer no Vista boots to black screen instead of login screen problems found I tried booting with a lower resolution get the same problem Just to see if its not a hardware problem I have booted a linux live cd and that worked I have an acer recovery menu but it wont let me recover to a previous point And I don't have a vista CD or recovery disk I think it was updating when I shut it down So i hope anyone has a solution for my problem if you need more information please ask and I'll answer Many thanks for reading and maby even replying to my problem Greets NiJor EDIT Somehow after waiting an hour doing nothing then rebooting into safemode worked There i could do a system restore and problem is solved

A:Vista boots to black screen instead of login screen

See if there is information on that PC on making recovery disks. I just used 2 dual layer DVD's to make recovery disks for a Compaq laptop.

Also, next time your machine boots to a completely black screen....let it stay there while it re-configures it's self. Don't be so impatient

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/193975/vista-boots-to-black-screen-instead-of-login-screen/
Relevancy 55.47%

First post, but I have tried to uninstall video drivers, system restore, random registry fixes, and so forth. I also did a virus scan, showing 17 Trojans (I know, very bad). I am guessing that is how this happened, not sure though. Uninstalling the video drivers helps, until I need to restart it due to new software. Then I can sometimes get to the log in screen, but even after that, It just goes black after a few seconds. I have searched and searched all over, and have not found a fix. Any help?

A:Laptop with Vista has black screen after loading screen

Hi Hackrtanman,

firstly welcome to the forums

Can you post detailed specs of your system.

And can you try to boot into safemode and disable the video card drivers on the system from Device Manager and then restart the system and check.

http://www.vistax64.com/graphic-cards/296826-laptop-vista-has-black-screen-after-loading-screen.html
Relevancy 54.61%

I've got a fresh install of Vista x64, and when I install the Geforce drivers I'm not able to boot Windows normally. The green loading bar runs fine, but when it's over I don't get to see the login screen - it's just black. I have to enter into safe mode (which works) and uninstall the graphics driver.

The exact same thing is true for Windows XP 64-bit. But on WinXP the driver installation program caused huge lag also: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=71101

Help?

Graphics: XFX 8800 GTX
Mainboard: Asus Striker II Extreme

EDIT: Bootlog attached.

A:Black screen instead of login screen in XP AND Vista

I ran chkdsk and tried an older Nvidia driver, with no success...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/black-screen-instead-of-login-screen-in-xp-and-vista.107491/
Relevancy 53.75%

Upon startup after the loading bar the screen goes black before the login screen. Nothing works here, Ctr+Alt+Del does not work at all.

I have tried

repair your computer
system restore
safe mode
safe mode with command prompt
last known good configuration
debugging mode
disable driver signature enforcement

All of these just take me back to the black screen with only the mouse showing up.

Every solution I have seen involves either using safe mode to get in and system restore or delete corrupt updates, or use command prompt. I am unable to use either of those because I cannot access safe mode nor the command prompt.

If there is anything that I can do please help.

A:Vista black screen

Im having the same issue, Ive had it before. This time i removed and put back in one of my ram sticks and now it wont boot. If you want a solution i cant help you, i plan to bring my pc to a shop.

If you want a FIX, i can help you to get the data off your computer so you can reinstall windows from a boot cd.

Go to another computer and download Ubuntu, it is a free OS. Burn it to a CD. And boot from that CD on your messed up PC. IT should boot into a basic yet stable OS without you having to install everything. You can copy your files to an external HD or key, and then reinstall windows.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-black-screen.872174/
Relevancy 53.75%

Mums Toshiba Satellite laptop has gone into BLACK SCREEN. It has Vista home basic and was running updates when it locked up on 3 of 3 @ 100%.

After many restarts it eventually came back but with no control panel so i couldnt perform a restore. Now after many restrts again it is in BLACK SCREEN.
Is it done for or is there a salvagable solution to get all mums family pics back and get data of it and send back to Toshiba again, in its 18month life so far.

Not impressed with it. Any advice, help, tips will be greatly appreciated

Relevancy 53.75%

I've been doing searches on this and I can't find any information that really has helped me a whole lot so here I am asking for help I've attached my system info in case that might help someone gleam a bit of information as to why this is taking place Recently I started doing upgrades to my system trying to stay within a fairly tight budget I went with the ATI and an OCZ ModXStream Proo W power supply My setup is Windows goes screen black to Vista Vista x running on an ASUS P B Deluxe MB Intel Core Quad Ghz GB DDR RAM Hauppage Colossus encoder with the ATI as my video card I've built this computer from the ground up torn it down and rebuilt and this is the first real trouble I've had I've had this installation of Vista running for a little less than months I'm assuming it's either the or the power supply but I'm not sure on either and would like others opinions and input Soon after I installed them I've been getting random black screens and the system will essentially shut off On some occasions I do get to hear a little bit of audio after the screen goes to black but not all the time Usually it happens when I'm recording TV or Gaming with the Colossus I use Arcsoft Vista goes to black screen Showbiz BUT it will happen if I'm watching a YouTube video trying to watch a DVD etc At one time I thought it might be heat I'm running C processor and C for the system but I've had older systems much warmer than that Any help would be appreciated and any additional information you may need please let me know and I'll try and get it as soon as possible TIA

A:Vista goes to black screen

Wireless USB device is disabled in perfmon /report - yet is working in systeminfo.txt. Unfortunately, drivers usually load before the the device is disabled in Windows. Please:
- enable the device
- uninstall the software/drivers for the device
- physically remove the device from the system

Use a wire if at all possible - at least temporarily to see if this was the problem. If not, uninstall the drivers and install a freshly downloaded copy of the latest available drivers.

Only 155 updates after SP2. Most systems have 350 or more. Please check Windows Update for all available updates. Prior to getting any more updates, I'd strongly suggest updating ALL of your drivers from the PC manufacturer's website.

Are you overclocking? If so, stop and return to default values until the system is stabilized.

Ensure that your Hauppage drivers and WinTV programs are fully updated. I had issues with a Hauppage card when I was using Vista.

In short, black screen issues are sometimes due to older drivers, so updating them is the first step.
The next step is Windows Updates - as they affect the drivers and they have Windows drivers in some of them.
Beyond that I suggest System Restore to a point before the black screens started happening - then updating drivers and Windows
If that doesn't fix it, you can keep trying to find a fix - but I find that fruitless and frustrating (I've spent weeks working on these without finding a solution). The only other thing left to try at that point is to backup your stuff, wipe the hard drive clean, and then reinstall Windows "clean".

Good luck!

http://www.vistax64.com/crashes-debugging/295768-vista-goes-black-screen.html
Relevancy 53.75%

A friend of mine has a Dell laptop running Vista. She turns it on, logs in and then the screen goes black and we only get a cursor. I have tried booting in safe mode and still have the black screen saying safe mode. I have attempted a repair and also a system restore. There are set restore points, but none of them have fixed the problem. I can't get to anything to see anything.

Any ideas on what to do?

Thanks.

Nan

A:Vista - black screen after log in

Oh no!! Did the laptop recently have Windows updates installed? If so that could be the culprit. I dont know of a way to fix that particular problem and I spent hours trying to figure out. I did find out that in many cases, malware being present on the Vista operating system prior to installing certain updates can cause the black screen issue.
My Vista laptop did the exact same thing after an update and the black screen issue began the next day (I didn't have any malware that was detected by the way) I gave up trying to repair it and eventually reformatted the hard drive and installed Windows 7. So much better than Vista.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-black-screen-after-log-in.915337/
Relevancy 53.75%

I ve got a Dell laptop running Windows Vista Earlier today I was playing an online mmorpg when it crashed I pressed ALT F when it crashed and then everything went black The monitor screen in Vista Black is on but there is no display Control alt delete does not work safe mode displays nothing as well I ve tried running with last working config and that doesn t work either While the black screen is on I can press shift five times and then click the link for sticky keys and windows explorer pops up but it says not responding when I try to navigate Black screen in Vista through it I ve tried system restore and just about every other explanation or Black screen in Vista fix that I could find via google I m just a layman but I m thinking maybe the video card is loading wrong or maybe the explorer exe isn t loading something happened when the game crashed and I can t fix it Please Help nbsp

A:Black screen in Vista

use the dell diagnostics then post back

all dells have diagnostics usually its press f12 on start up

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-screen-in-vista.933938/
Relevancy 53.75%

I have a windows vista that after logging in gives black screen even in safe mode. ctr+alt+del does not work. Tried system restore and chkdsk but didn't fix the problem

Any idea ?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vista-black-screen-1083065.html
Relevancy 53.75%

I recently purchased a Dell Inspiron 1501 Notebook computer. After using it for a week it has, at least 5-6 times gone to a black screen (with a square of different color lines) in the middle of using it. The only solution is to turn it off. I was going to return it, thinking there was something wrong with the latptop but after talking to other people am now wondering if it may be VISTA.

I have seen several problems with getting a black screen when booting, but none during use.

Is there any way to know if it is a problem with the PC or with Vista?

A:Vista Black Screen

If you got to http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board?board.id=vista you will find that a search on "Black screen" brings up many users with problems.

I would contact Dell about issue and have them find a fix for you.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-black-screen.610505/
Relevancy 53.75%

I ran a Malewarebytes scan and it found 1 object infected which I removed. After that it rebooted immediately and when I got to the sign in screen, I inputed my pw and got the little "Welcome" with the circle and then a black screen and nothing. I can't get past that. THe only other thing it'll do is shut down...Any suggestions?Thanks!

A:Vista black screen...

Hello Verob, Welcome to Bleeping Computer. My name is fireman4it and I will be helping you with your Malware problem.Please take note of some guidelines for this fix: Refrain from making any changes to your computer including installing/uninstall programs, deleting files, modifying the registry, and running scanners or tools. If you do not understand any step(s) provided, please do not hesitate to ask before continuing. Even if things appear to be better, it might not mean we are finished. Please continue to follow my instructions and reply back until I give you the "all clean". Finally, please reply using the button in the lower right hand corner of your screen. Do not start a new topic. The logs that you post should be pasted directly into the reply, unless they do not fit into the post.FirstISOBurner this will allow you to burn OTLPE ISO to a cd and make it bootable. Just install the program, from there on in it is fairly automatic. InstructionsSecond Download OTLPE.iso and burn to a CD using ISO Burner. NOTE: This file is 292Mb in size so it may take some time to download. When downloaded double click and this will then open ISOBurner to burn the file to CD Reboot your system using the boot CD you just created. Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here Your system should now display a REATOGO-X-PE desktop. Double-click on the OTLPE icon. When asked "Do you wish to load the remote registry", select Yes When asked "Do you wish to load remote user profile(s) for scanning", select Yes Ensure the box "Automatically Load All Remaining Users" is checked and press OK OTL should now start. Change the following settings o Change Drivers to Use Safelist Press Run Scan to start the scan. When finished, the file will be saved in drive C:\OTL.txt Copy this file to your USB drive if you do not have internet connection on this system Please post the contents of the OTL.txt file in your reply.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/301159/vista-black-screen/
Relevancy 53.75%

hi i have had some problems with my computer. It has Windows Vista and its a home computer and everyone at home uses it. A couple users who log on get to a black screen with only the bottom taskbar showing and the popup of the msn messenger. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!
I need my computer back!!!
moosehead 144

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-screen-on-vista.761684/
Relevancy 53.75%

i have a gateway lap top with windows vista home basic, when i try to start it up it will go to the loading screen and then has a blue flash and restarts. I do not have the installation disk for the os .

A:Vista black screen

Hi there first of all try this :
To get a look at the error message presented by the BSOD (blue screen of death) ....
Start tapping the F8 key after you press the ON button, and continue tapping until you are presented with the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" screen.
Use the UP/DOWN arrow keys to select "Disable automatic restart on system failure" and press the <ENTER> key.
Your system will attempt to restart normally, but when it crashes, it will not re-start: Instead, you will see a BSOD with error message.

Then after doing that have a read through this link http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/help-troubleshoot-the-blue-screen-of-death-by-preventing-automatic-reboot/
Good Luck !

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/374742/vista-black-screen/
Relevancy 53.75%

st of all sorry screen Black Vista if I am on the wrong part of the forums Compaq CQ vista black screen bitI have a problem booting my laptop it starts normally but when it reaches windows it turns black -although sounds are fine Vista Black screen you can hear the sound when windows start -power keyboard lights are on -keyboard and mouse is working since i remember the placement of shortcuts on desktop and it still works -i tried using another monitor but it turns black too when it reaches windows -when i use safe mode it will never reach windows im not sure if it is rellated but my laptop was struck with Win Sality NBA virus so I dont know how damaged my laptop is on normal mode https www youtube com watch v mFaOTRb GQE on safe mode http youtu be OIPcg-JWZw safe mode will stop at the last sec of the vid i even waited for hours and ran out of battery but it still wont start

A:Vista Black screen

Hello, see if you can access your computer with Linux Live CD : Use Ubuntu Live CD to Backup Files from Your Dead Windows Computer - How-To Geek
If you can get in . back up any files you want to save . If you can not get in , we will have to do other procedures.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/295810-vista-black-screen.html
Relevancy 52.89%

So I've done some searching and noticed other people have had black screen hangs on vista boot.... but all that i have found were after windows loads. I get a black screen for 5-10 minutes after my bios load and before windows loads. Anyone know whats wrong?

Relevancy 52.89%

Hello, I am running Vista 64-bit and after I login I get a black screen with only a cursor. I am able to run the task manager but it appears that explorer.exe is corrupted when I try to run it from the task manager. My system restore is also corrupted so I am unable to go back in time to when my computer worked. I am not really sure what to do so any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

A:Vista 64 bit black screen after login

Have you tried Safe Mode?
If possible run chkdsk /r

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/345599/vista-64-bit-black-screen-after-login/
Relevancy 52.89%

Hi, I'm new to the forum...
Think I messed up my bootblock or something yesterday when I tried to re-partition my hardrive. All I get now is a black screen and the hardrive seems to be running constantly. I removed the CMOS battery over night and plugged it back in but still have the black screen. Can't get into CMOS and can't get into F8 boot screen, (have a Acronis backup of drive on external drive) but can't get into anything but the black screen. Please help!!

p.s. I'm using my laptop to get online looking for help...

A:Vista black screen of death? Please Help...

hello am new to this myself, but had same black screen as yourself for few days after crash,,i have since had a bit of joy by inserting my operating system dvd ,restarting computer and pressing f12 repeatedly which took me to menu with option to boot from cd drive, which i did ,it looks like it is restalling windows but at least am up and running (can confirm it has worked, and installed a new windows file and all my original files are stored in folder marked old windows files) but at least i am operational again.

hope this helps

tam

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/258119-vista-black-screen-death-please-help.html
Relevancy 52.89%

this is me

motherboard : asus a8n-sli se
graphics card : e geforce 7600 gt
CRT monitor
80 gb sata harddrive
basic dvd rom drive
1Gb of ram(picking up my other 3 tomorrow)
and thats about it

i'm trying to install vista it goes through all the installation
resets goes to
starting up windows for the first time
then it goes black screen on me
capslock/numlock works so that means that its working
but can't see a thing.

then my monitor light starts blinking after like 1 minute

i've been at this point for 3 days.
3 different installation disks of vista
multiple reinstalls

i'm at my wits end. please if you've seen this before can you help me?

Relevancy 52.89%

Hello there, I am experiencing difficulties with an error that has seemingly come from nowhere. Here, in detail, is a description of the troubles occuring:

I push the power button to turn on my vista laptop. I am shown the compaq startup screen. Windows then begins to load in to the welcome screen where you can choose which profile to log into and such. After the initial load in is apparently finished nothing happens. I am taken to a black screen with nothing but a mouse cursor, and there is nothing i can do. Note: I am not logged in to a profile, this error occurs before I am able to access anything on my computer. Please read my issue in detail and let me know what is the problem and how I can go about fixing it. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

A:Help With Black Screen Error on Vista

Hi and welcome to TSF do you have a install or recovery disc from which you can try to run a repair

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/help-with-black-screen-error-on-vista-451808.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Hi I don't know if this is the right place for this post sorry if it isn't Vista black starting.... screen when I had searched online if someone has the same problem of me I found Vista black screen when starting.... similar problems but not the mine one but if there is can you please give me the link I have Vista black screen when starting.... a DELL LATITUDE D with a dual boot Ubuntu and Vista When I start Vista I get the Windows logo and then a black screen with the mouse pointer only Keybord doesn't work I can move the mouse but cannot select anything No Ctr Alt Del works I can just switch off the computer At the start up I need to press F to be able to choose something otherwise I get the black screen If I reboot in debug mode it seems to have problem in after loading crcdisk sys driver it doesn't tell me anything If I reboot asking automatic restore of PC it asks me the account and the only working account is the mine one no administrator available Then it suggests to contact the administrator I have checked the error report and nothing is reported system is working I have no previous configuration to restore I can access to the prompt So I tried to write sfc scannow The answer is that to be completed the process requires to restart the computer and to do again sfc scannow I restart again do the command again but I get the same answer When I get the black screen the processor is not off because after a long time hours about the computer restarts by itself so something is happening even if I don't know what The only thing I didn't try is to restore Vista from CD I'm really afraid that to do this could delete the partition or overwrite on the boot I have deleting the access to Linux I have a backup of all my files so it doesn't matter if what I have to do will cancel my files but what I really need is to keep Linux operating So if you have any suggestion I'm not good in using computer so please a step-by-step solution would be really appreciate Thank you very much Paola PS No peripherics are connected the wireless is switched off

A:Vista black screen when starting....

Maybe this will help:http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en...27-df116a686d0cAccording to them, this looks to be a motherboard issue and will need to be replaced. I don't know if it is true but I would definitely call Dell support and find out for sure!!'There might be a fix for it here:http://www.prevx.com/blog/140/Black-Screen...sta-and-XP.htmlHope this helps!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/287522/vista-black-screen-when-starting/
Relevancy 52.89%

Hello I m here to ask a simple question that is actually starting to eat away at my sanity and will to live I m trying to dual-boot Windows XP Pro and Vista Home Premium For Black Screen Vista. DualBooting while some reason though once quot Completing Installation quot has gone past and the computer reboots to finalize once it hit s quot Windows Vista quot in the boot manager I get a nice sexy black screen I ve read this here I ve read that there Newer Nvidia model SATA Montior Refresh Rates These seem to be everyone elses problems First comp specs Mobo - ASUS A N -SLI Proc - AMD Athlon X VCard - Nvidia GS gbs of RAM Now my HDD partitions and set up I have C SATA gb I want this all for my selffish XP set up E an old gb IDE I took from my father after upgrading his just for music Then I just got a new drive SATA which I ve partitioned into two F gb for whatever I can use it for and H gb this is where I want my Vista installation Now that I ve sidetracked from whatever it is that I started with back on track I ve tried switching monitors went from a newer LCD to a ravenous CRT I Black Screen while DualBooting Vista. use to use back in the day I read in some places that that might cure something that Vista tries pulling Where it will try to optimize itself for the system it is currently being installed on Once it finds a CRT though it pulls a much higher and wrong refresh rate Tried it failed That s about all I ve tried I guess What else should I try to get this running All I want Vista for is to play ShadowRun I m seeing all these things and it s starting to confuse me I don t really know whatelse to try or what order to try it in So as this problem may be posted multiple places on this site I m just asking for one more explanation Please nbsp

Relevancy 52.89%

Hi guy's

ive recently put vista on from xp pro sp3, and as soon as i put the the g/card drivers all i get is a black screen after the boot bar,in order to boot i have togo into s.mode and disable on of the card's is this a vista or driver problem,ive tried everything but nothing any idea's

pc spec=

ga-k8n sli mobo
dual core +4600
2x 7950 gx2's
4gb dual channel ddr 400
2x seagate 750 hdd
vx922 monitor

A:vista quad sli/black screen

what psu is in it
brand
wattage
it needs a quality psu min of 850w

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vista-quad-sli-black-screen-304037.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Alright so im turning on my laptop running of black death? (vista) screen vista bit home everything is normal but i always get a message something about disk check chkdsk or something along the lines of that and i usually press a button to cancel it but this time i forgot so i let it run watching it do some stuff i had no clue about and when when it finally finishes i log in to my user profile but then nothing pops up just a black screen I press control alt delete to get windows task manager i can create new tasks etc like chrome i thought maybe i should restart the computer thinking it would maybe fix it i log into my profile and still get the black screen so then i decided maybe i should go into safe mode and try a system restore So i boot into safe mode get system restore running try restoring black screen of death? (vista) and when i tried to restart into normal mode i still had the black screen so i turned off my laptop went into safe mode and found this error I did a little research on this and i came across a post black screen of death? (vista) on a different website to try a sfc scannow So i do that and then i get this should i post the log if is helpful and maybe do a malwarebytes scan i dont think i have any sort of malware since i did a scan yesterday with it and havent downloaded anything with it since but i havent done a virus scan with my normal anti virus since it has not detected anything i use microsoft security essentials and malware bytes from time to time but security essentials is my default anti virus thing on my laptop So now i am unsure what to do still use the internet fine on normal and safe mode with networking i still need to restart and try normal mode after doing that scan with cmd i will edit the post to see if i can access normal mode now edit still not working in normal

A:black screen of death? (vista)

1. Go to start and search for cmd like in the screenshot and right click on it. Then run it as Administrator. A black DOS box will open.2. Enter the commands:findstr /C:"[SR] Cannot repair member file" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log > sfcdetails.txtstart sfcdetails.txt

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/458881/black-screen-of-death-vista/
Relevancy 52.89%

I need help, when I boot my Dell 9200 with Vista OS on it I get a black screen and a mouse I can move on the screen. I can toggle my numbers lock on and off, but nothing else. I spoke with Dell we confrimed it didn't seem to be a hardware error and we were able to get the system to do a system restore my booting to the Vista CD. This was great until the system updates was loaded and on the next boot, back to the black screen and a mouse. Have anyone run into this problem and do you have any ideas on how to work around the problem? I don't want to format the system reload the computer to have the update install and back to the black screen.

Thank You
BiggDogg Barking

A:Black Screen when booting Vista

This is from Dell (If you are using the ATI Radeon X1300 and a Wide Screen Monitor)
"After performing an update from Windows® Update on the system, you may notice the Dell&#8482; XPS 410 goes to a blank or black screen after the Dell splash screen. This issue only occurs when using the ATI Radeon X1300 card and Dell Ultra-wide flat panel monitors. Currently, Windows Update offers a driver for Dell wide flat panels that causes the monitor to go out of sync with the ATI Radeon X1300 video card due to an integer issue in the default resolutions code.

The CD that comes with Dell's flat panel monitors corrects this issue with the correct integer. All resolutions can be read properly by the ATI Radeon X1300 video card. After this issue begins to occur, it will be necessary to roll back the existing driver or otherwise update the driver to the Dell version on the monitor CD or on http://support.dell.com. Once the Dell driver is installed, Windows Update will no longer be an issue."

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-screen-when-booting-vista.599852/
Relevancy 52.89%

Hello I'm using Vista and since yesterday I'm unable to boot normally I'm currently posting from quot safe mode quot Whenever I reboot after seeing the Vista loading page with the green progress bar my monitor screen on Vista reboot... Black Help! briefly displays quot no input signal quot then it switches to a black screen with the white arrow cursor I can move the cursor around but apart from that nothing moves and the screen remains black and my only option is to turn off the power Pushing keys or Ctrl Alt Del doesn't do anything The last thing Black screen on Vista reboot... Help! I did yesterday before having this problem was installing Magic DVD Ripper Black screen on Vista reboot... Help! but I have not performed any operation with it and have since uninstalled it which didn't change anything That's the only thing I can think of that could have caused the problem apart from that I only did the usual Word Outlook etc Any help would be greatly appreciated EDIT I have tried restoring the system to the quot last known good configuration quot but to no avail Pressing F when the computer boots up just asks me from which drive I want to boot I can't choose quot advanced options quot or anything of the sort and if I try doing that from Windows in safe mode it tells me there are no saved configurations

A:Black screen on Vista reboot... Help!

try using system restore to restore your system to any previous date
also check your system for viruses using latest antivirus definitions
as you have mentioned magic dvd ripper cannot be the cause to this problem
update your video drivers this should solve the problem
if it persists ask me

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/black-screen-on-vista-reboot-help-412438.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Help! I have had this problem for about a month now, and it is getting annoying! I have a Gateway c141x with Windows Vista.

After restarting my computer I logon with the password and all I get is a black screen with my mouse pointer, no desktop! To solve the dillema of not having a desktop I hit ctrl-alt-del and log off and then proceed to log on. After loging on for the second time, my desktop is there and I can use my computer normally. I would just like to be able to use my computer normally without having to log on and off and on again first. I have all updates installed and have checked for viruses.

A:Vista and a black screen after logon

please? any suggestions at all, I will try anything that I can understand?!?!?!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-and-a-black-screen-after-logon.837907/
Relevancy 52.89%

On an otherwise heathy system...
Vista will now boot to the welcome screen, then the screen wiil go black.
Mouse will move, can <ctrl><alt><del> and run explorer.exe which will gt me to desktop, however, can not run anything, no network. Have attempted to restore to ten days ago, still same problem. Attemted to reinstall, but since all I have is the upgrade disk and Product # I am prompted t do this from the existing load, which of course I can not run programs from. Tried repair options, no problems found.

A:Vista Black screen of hanging

I have a similar problem with my windows login screen going black. The difference being that I lost my cursor too.

I was unable to get around this until I tried changing the monitor (on my laptop Fn F5).
This brings back the login screen, with cursor, just as it should be.

This doesn't solve the problem but for me at least is an effective workaround. Perhaps some monitor display setting in the BIOS needs correcting but I'm not sufficiently skilled to fiddle with the BIOS and don't want to risk further malfunction.

I hope this helps.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-black-screen-of-hanging.761968/
Relevancy 52.89%

Ok so here is the RSIT thing. Also DDS is not compatible with my computer. Thanks :DThe Original topic is here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...p;#entry1368303

A:Vista Black Screen Of Death

Hello and welcome to Bleeping ComputerWe apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If not please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine. If you have not done so, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.Upon completing the steps below another staff member will review and take the steps necessary with you to get your machine back in working order clean and free of malware.If you have already posted a DDS log, please do so again, as your situation may have changed.Use the 'Add Reply' and add the new log to this thread.Thanks and again sorry for the delay.We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan:Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links. Save it to your desktop.DDS.scrDDS.pifDouble click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.A small box will open, with an explaination about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.Notepad will open with the results.Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet. Information on A/V control HERE

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/246639/vista-black-screen-of-death/
Relevancy 52.89%

I just installed Windows Vista on my previous Windows XP and now when I restart my computer, it stops at this black screen and it gives me 3 options. How do I just make it start only in Vista instead of choosing every time at start up?

Earlier version of Windows
Microsoft Windows Vista
Microsoft Windows XP Professional Setup
Here's a pic
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

A:Black Startup Screen Vista

Welcome to the forum autoguy15, You can download easybcd a freeware program set vista as default, time say five seconds, and it will automatically boot into vista, click the link below.
Download EasyBCD 2.1.2.156 Free - A handy tool for tweaking your system - Softpedia

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/294368-black-startup-screen-vista.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Hey Guys,

I am having a massive problem with my system. At seemingly random times (sometimes on start up - sometimes during gameplay) the screen goes black and the whole thing hangs, no blue screen of death - nothing. I have tried many things including (but not limited to) a complete format and reinstall of the o/s; removal of one of my gx2s; nothing seems to help. If anyone has any ideas please drop me a line, any help will be greatly appreciated. Attached is a Belaric Advisor file that explains in great detail my system specs.

Kind regards,

Ben

A:Vista black hang screen

Hi - I removed your Belarc and edited it to take out the Vista key code information. You can find it HERE and also attached to this post. You have a full retail copy of Vista - please be careful when posting information anywhere.

I noticed in belkac that your monitor is from 2005. That may play a part here if not up to Vista code.

Please run 2 files for me -

I'd like a Vista System Health report in HTML format. Please do the following:
START | type perfmon /report | save in default HTML format

msinfo32 -
START | msinfo32 | save in default NFO format

Zip these 2 up and attach to your next post. I'll take a look & see if anything apparant.

Do you get same problem w/ video in SAFEMODE? Check Device manager - any red/yellow flags? What is the driver name and date of your current video drivers?

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vista-black-hang-screen-341546.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5250 @ 1.50GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 2037 Mb
Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family, 448 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 305164 MB, Free - 177989 MB;
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0KY767
Antivirus: None
When I log into my laptop I get as far as the welcome screen just fine, then I sign in and it takes me a black screen where I can only see a cursor. I am working in safe mode right now,but thats it.

thanks for any help

Relevancy 52.89%

First and foremost, I am just frustrated because Dell computers are a piece of crap. Secondly, I have a Dell Inspiron 6400 which up until an hour or two ago was working. I now have a black screen of death staring at me with a white cursor that moves but nothing else happens. I don't even see a login screen. If anyone can help, that would be great. I had downloaded quicken 2009 from filestube and uninstalled it in its entirety. I also uninstalled Total Uninstall 2009. I had all sorts of weird errors and other pop-ups as well. If you guys can help, I would totally appreciate it.EDIT: Merged post from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic316319.html, same topic ~ Hamluis.

A:Vista Black Screen of Death

So you blame Dell for your mistake of downloading pirated software? You are kidding arn't you?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/316276/vista-black-screen-of-death/
Relevancy 52.89%

I just performed a restore back and all I get it a black screen now

HELP!

A:Restore in vista black screen

Hi,

Can you give us some details on what sort of restore you did and why.

Thanks,

Richard

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/270089-restore-vista-black-screen.html
Relevancy 52.89%

I have this annoying problem with Windows Vista Home Premium. Every few minutes my screen goes black. If I move my mouse or press a key I get the Switch User Screen. Then I press my user icon and return to where I was working. In a few minutes the screen goes black again. I added another user, and when I'm logged on to that user, it seems to work OK. This problem started a few weeks ago. Can someone help?

A:Vista screen goes black every few minutes

It sounds to me that your other profile is corrupted since creating the new user solved the issue.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/332440/vista-screen-goes-black-every-few-minutes/
Relevancy 52.89%

Hi Ok this is getting to be Startup On At Black Screen Vista very irritating that I can't figure out whats wrong here First off after I boot up my computer it'll say microsoft corporation with the loading bar above that then it'll show the Vista logo after that right when the screen is gonna come up to type in my password to enter my desktop the screen goes black where I end up having to shut down the Black Screen At Startup On Vista computer the improper way At times now it does this or times in a row where then after that everything works just fine as if nothing was wrong Something weird I've realized after having this happened multiple times when I start up says the microsoft corporation with the loading bar Say if that bar loads just for a split second or so then moves on to Vista logo all of the time it does that black screen after that where as when the bar loads for several seconds normally everything works after that something isn't clicking right I guess I've tried re-installing windows where at first it worked right for or times I started it up and just now it started doing it again where I had to restart times the improper way before it worked thanks

A:Black Screen At Startup On Vista

Can you get into Safe Mode?
Does the problem ever occur in Safe Mode? (this'll help to verify if it's a driver issue or not)
Do you have all the latest Windows Updates?
Have you updated your video drivers to the latest available version from the manufacturer of your video chipset (nVidia, ATI, Intel, etc)?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/110387/black-screen-at-startup-on-vista/
Relevancy 52.89%

TSF My wife's laptop does not consistantly boot properly and will frequently give us a black screen and will boot not screen, Vista Black hang there with the cursor in the center of the screen just after the Microsoft caterpillar loading screen It has been known to boot in safe mode This time while in safe mode I managed to do a system restore but my AVG anti-virus will not turn on I know this is not BSOD but posting here and using the BSOD scans seemed appropriate Any chance you can help us straighten her computer out Here are some specs Windows Vista Home Premium -bit Black screen, Vista will not boot OEM version originally installed Age of system and OS is about years OS not re-installed CPU AMD Turion X Mobile Tech TL- Video Card NVidia GeForce M nForce M Motherboard Quanta CF Power Supply I Black screen, Vista will not boot used Belarc to find the motherboard but cannot find power supply HP Pavilion dv I have attached the perfmon and output folder zips Thank you we appreciate all you can do for us Richard

A:Black screen, Vista will not boot

As a test lets try replacing AVG, D/L MSE free> Microsoft Security Essentials - Free Antivirus for Windows save to your desktop.
Then D/L the AVG removal tool> Download tools and utilities | AVG Worldwide
Remove AVG using the tool and install MSE, if this solves the issue you can then at later date try reinstalling AVG.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/black-screen-vista-will-not-boot-669054.html
Relevancy 52.89%

I've been handed a Vista machine that will boot windows, but it only gets to a black screen where the cursor has loaded.

I am able to move the cursor around the black screen.

Nothing else happens. CTRL+ALT+DEL does nothing. Nothing will load.

I cannot get into safe mode, it gets to the same point.

Loading last known good settings does nothing either.

I can load the hard drive as a slave on another computer.

I can't seem to do much with it.

Any ideas?

Relevancy 52.89%

Hello. A friend of mine has an HP a1730n desktop.
It has integrated Nvidia graphics.

She can't get into safe mode either. It will go to that screen for a moment and flicker to a black screen as well.

Last night HP had a software update which im assuming is the culprit. It seems that a video driver is screwey.

I seem to remember there being a keyboard shortcut you could use at boot-up that would default the video back to a safe resolution.

Thanks if anyone can shed light on this.
Person to answer correctly gets a Brand new PC DVD Game shipped to them "Americas Army SF Coalition"
-Brian

A:Black screen after Vista Logo

check the cables are secure
try a system restore from booting from the windows install disk and choosing repair at the bottom left to see if it is the update that caused it
if it only came with a restore disk i would try putting in a card in case it's the chip and not the update that caused it
last a restore install

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/black-screen-after-vista-logo-184373.html
Relevancy 52.89%

When i log on, the screen is completely black, for some reason, vista doesn't run explorer.exe and i have to put it in manually in order for it to work. But after I restart, I have to do it again.

How do I make it so i don't have to put in explorer.exe after every start up. thanks in advance

A:Vista starts off w/ black screen

Hi try running a repair from your install or recovery disc

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-starts-off-w-black-screen.885106/
Relevancy 52.89%

The computer turns on. goes through the microsoft opening then goes black.. New monitor, so I don't think it is that.. I tried to put it in safe mode, normal mode, won't open up .. This started when we had trouble with the internet. I lost my internet on that computer and it would not start up.. The internet worked on my other computers. Everything was fine before this happened..
I cannot get it open. so I cannot check anything out..

Relevancy 52.89%

vista screen goes black and shuts down often.
using excel 97. using 2 or more excel spreadsheets at once ( windows mail open as well) , i go to save my excel file and everything goes black.

is there a known problem using old excel software that is causing this?

we are on a network. everyone else is XP. If we have to buy a new excel for vista, will the other excel 97 programs be able to open?

A:vista black screen excel 97

Hi tony

On the Vista machine, make sure the Excel '97 has all the available updates for it installed, it can help compatibility. (I think the last release for it was called SR-2, with a possible year-2000 patch called SR-2b .. but I can't remember exactly). If you aren't currently running Excel in Compatibility Mode, give that a try as well (right-click its executable, and select a suitable Compatibility Mode). I think it might be asking a lot for two spreadsheets and Mail to be open at the same time . . . for such older software to operate flawlessly. See if things are fine working with one spreadsheet at a time. If yes, you can then experiment to see what combination of other open windows crosses the breaking point.

Also --- check in your EventViewer logs in the Control Panel to see what errors coincide with the unresponsive behavior when saving your Excel work. Check, especially, to see if there is a permissions issue occuring during that time.

Regarding - Office 2007 & backward compatibility:
The latest versons of Office moved to XML based formats, but if you've Excel 2007, I believe you can still choose to save your work in the Office '97 xls format, for compatibility with the older versions your co-workers would be using.

I've found that the older versions of Office that I've tested on Vista so far perform quite a few of their functions as well as they ever did. But some functions just don't work. It's really remarkable to me that they work as well as they do, especially Office '97, considering that it was originally written for Windows 95!

Best of luck
. . . Gary

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vista-black-screen-excel-97-a-218386.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Hello, first off let me say, I did search the forums and all of the related black screen problems that people have are the result of updating vista/drivers. Although I do have the same problem, after the loading bar for Vista appears and finishes, it goes to a black screen, but I recently haven't changed anything, as I type this I am currently running windows 7 off a partition I have on the same hard drive with Vista. Not sure what could be causing this, and any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Relevancy 52.89%

Hello I am new to this site I found it trying to find info on how to fix my problem I am running Windows Vista Home Premium I have had it since it was released I have had no problems until recent I restarted my computer Help, when getting black vista boots. screen it went Help, getting black screen when vista boots. through the whole boot up process and when it got to the desktop all I had was a black screen with the Documents folder open I rolled back my computer to a previous date just to see if maybe it was a bad update from windows and it did not fix the problem Since the document folder was open I was able to navigate to the windows folder and i clicked the explorer icon and the desktop poped on and then all of my applications started to load like normal But as soon as I restarted my computer it went back to the black screen again with the documents folder open I was told it sounds like a problem with the driver for the video card I have downloaded the recent drivers from ATI and it still has not helped anything nbsp

Relevancy 52.89%

please help my compaq desktop will not boot all i get is a black screen with a flashing cursor i have tried changing the bios to boot from cd with my recovery discs but get nothing f11 will not take me to recovery i can only f10 to bios settings have removed hdd and cleaned connectors still nothing f5 "sticky keys" nothing either all data backed up so no worries about doing a full clean have tried various internet forum self fixes anyone got any ideas i am running vista home premium. Please help i am at my wits end took tower to pc world when it first happened got ripped off for £30 to back up data and told pc was unfixable and offered a new unit for £400 they did not seem to have a clue!!!

Relevancy 52.89%

So i was using my computer last night and shut it down for the night. Then this morning i booted my computer up as normal and a BLACK screen with no taskbar but an Explorer Window poped up. Help!!! idk what to do.

A:Black screen with no taskbar vista

Without knowing what the message was, it's hard to say. Did you install anything or make any changes before shutting down?

If you can boot normally into safe mode, it might be worth using a restore point.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/224074-black-screen-no-taskbar-vista.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Hello folks I have an acer aspire M and I am running -bit Vista Home Premium pre-installed I think I gotta a Screen After Vista Black Login spyware of some sort so I downloaded and installed Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Did a scan and it found quite a few bad things so I proceeded to quarantine all of it Got Vista Black Screen After Login a message that some thing will be deleted after a reboot - so I said OKAY to reboot Now it Vista Black Screen After Login starts gets all the way to login screen admin and another user I login as admin wait a few moments and the screen goes to black with movable white cursor and it stays like this for hours - goes Vista Black Screen After Login nowhere When I login as other user - it works perfectly I can also login as admin through safe mode anyone has an idea why I get the black screen as admin and I do not get it as a user or as admin in safe mode Any way to fix this Thanks

A:Vista Black Screen After Login

It does sound like you got pretty hosed up with some spy ware. Here is what I would do if you can login under safe mode. You will need to grant the other user admin rights if they don't have them alread.

I used to do this in XP all the time, I have not tested it in Vista although it should work. GL if you opt to give it a trial run. This of course, is at your own risk!!!!

1. Boot up in safe mode
2. Go to the c:\users\ and locate the folder with the name of the infected user
3. rename the folder to infecteduser.old
4. reboot into standard mode and try to login again.

If login works you'll notice all of your shortcuts and settings are gone and it appears to be a default setup before you made any changes. Copy the data you need from the folder you renamed to the new user folder that has been created. Only take the data that you really need, you don't know where the virus is at and the more you take, the higher your odds of bringing with you become.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vista-black-screen-after-login-421825.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Greetings I have been having problems with a VGN-AR E Sony Vaio w/ cursor Vista screen black laptop running Windows Vista Currently when I boot it up I get a bunch of parentheses quot quot all over the screen After that it shows me the quot Microsoft Corporation quot loading bar at the bottom of the screen It appears to be booting fine but that is where it goes to a black screen and stays there If I boot into safe mode I get the same thing only I have a moveable cursor on the screen and nothing else I can press shift times to get the sticky keys window to appear Vista black screen w/ cursor but no other keys work This is as far as it gets regardless of trying to boot into safe mode or normal Vista black screen w/ cursor mode Here is what I have tried so far I put in a Windows Vista cd and boot to it in order to run Startup Repair System Restore Windows Complete PC Restore Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool or Command Prompt None of these have worked for me so far However I had this problem before and going to the command prompt and running a CHKDSK r f worked like a charm This time it did not work System Restore Startup Repair both finish running and it still will not boot properly I am at a loss here If anyone has any ideas on what I could try it would be greatly appreciated Thanks in advance

A:Vista black screen w/ cursor

Hi, have a look through this thread:- Post #19

Vista won't boot (blinking cursor after splash screen)

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vista-black-screen-w-cursor-554060.html
Relevancy 52.89%

hi everyone I am new and hoping you guys could help me out I have a Toshiba notebook with a radeon hd The problem is that my computerscreen turns black randomly Not real black more like anthrazit the music plays on so i know its just the screen This happen more then twice a day and is really frustrating I think its a virus because last time when it turned black i heard the beeping sound of antivir when it repots a security attack But it could also be something else maybe vista related I had this problem before i had to turn in the computer to the seller he Herepaired it and sait it was the videocard and he put in a new one but one week it happened again I need my pc for studies screen Vista black random so i could not afford wait another to weeks for it back and i cant imagine that it was the video card Vista random black screen again One more thing it seems to happens more often when i am watching a movie in fullscreen wich is not to say it would not happen when i am just browsing If anyone knows this problem i very much apreciated any advice thank you nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-random-black-screen.791691/
Relevancy 52.89%

Hello
My Mother in Law seems to have done something to her laptop causing the following to occur.

As I understand it, she has on a couple of occassions closed the laptop whilst it was in the middle of shutting down. A few hours later she opened it up and it semed to be stuck on the shutting down screen.

We managed to get it to power off but now the following happens:

You turn on the power, the Vista screen appears as normal and asks for the password, you enter the password which it accepts, it says welcome as normal, acts like it is behaving normally but after a few seconds goes to a black screen and the only thing which remains is the cursor, it will go no further than this.

If anyone could help me with this it would be much appreciated!!

Many thanks

Adele

A:Vista black screen after power up help!

Try pressing and hold the fn key in a manner of trail an error press other f keys (f4, f8 etc. to reset the screen.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vista-black-screen-after-power-up-help-372945.html
Relevancy 52.89%

The problem When I turn on my computer not this one of course it's a black screen and I mean totally blank and I can't do anything That is without the Vista recovery DVD s But even the first time I got the recovery DVD to start using disc of when it asked me if I wanted to boot from the disc or from the hard drive here's what happened I didn't see an option that would save my files I hoped quot from hard drive quot would nothing/Vista DVD crashes screen/does Black but I don't think so Plus I thought I might still have the same problem if I didn't boot from the disk But I learned that quot from disc quot would lose my files when restoring it to factory condition so that's only my last resort if there's no way at all to save the computer and or the files For no more than seconds I hesitated since I want to save my files and the screen got all kinds of lines all over it and I knew this was not working right and it froze like that Next time I got the Vista recovery DVD to start it never got past quot loading files quot or whatever It just turned to a black screen with a cursor in the corner And that was how it stayed And third time I got the Vista DVD to start it just turned black with no cursor very soon after quot Black screen/does nothing/Vista DVD crashes loading files quot The story leading up to this My computer was running great until months ago or so when it started to warn Black screen/does nothing/Vista DVD crashes me that my memory was low and then very often it would freeze up and I would have to hold the CPU start button until it shut down Then I'd wait seconds and hit the CPU start button again of course and select quot start in normal mode quot when prompted on the screen I had the best intentions of backing up my files and avoiding this outcome but you know how that goes and you know what they say The other day I started it the first time for that day and it was acting just as it had lately But a few hours later I turned it on the second time and checked my email like any other day and something changed Though it froze like it often did this time all of a sudden these different colors started to appear very quickly So quickly that I can't recall if they were multiple squares and or rectangles of all different colors or if it was one square or rectangle with multiple colors that kept growing and adding colors The foreign object s took up a relatively small portion of the screen but I quickly decided to hold the CPU start button to shut it down trying to avoid more problems but as soon as I turned it back on it simply became a blank black screen And that's all that happens when I turn it on now No sound from the speakers meaning Windows Vista doesn't eventually start up was the first clue that a new monitor wouldn't help but I still tried a different monitor with no luck I think the CPU might even sound quieter when it's on now than before this crash but I'm not sure Maybe it would've still been able to work if I hadn't held the CPU start button at that point but I doubt it That will teach me not to back up my files I've learned my lesson and I hope this can be solved but I won't get my hopes up Questions is there Any way to save my files at all Any way to get the vista disc to not freeze when it starts Any way to get the Vista disc to start up each time Any way to fix this without the Vista DVD And Is there a different Vista DVD that could fix the problem while keeping the files What's the cause Perhaps me for not fixing the memory issue I read somewhere that one can make a Linux cd or dvd and then put that into the quot broken quot computer and and access their C drive that way and save their files before restoring to factory condition with Windows Vista Is this true If so there's still no guarantee my Vista restore disc will work of course Of course feel free to only answer the questions you think are worth answering I'm not certainly not picky about having them all answered I just appreciate the assistance Thank ... Read more

http://www.vistax64.com/crashes-debugging/298688-black-screen-does-nothing-vista-dvd-crashes.html
Relevancy 52.89%

hi,

I have a Sony Vaio VGN-NR21M laptop with me that either gets stuck on an endless cycle on the vista loading screen, or if trying in safe mode it just reboots. If i tell it not to reboot it just stays at the vista loading screen. when selecting fix your computer option it gets the dreaded black screen with white cursor on (cursor does move). Odd thing is when booting off a vista disc it loads with the same issue as the repair partition mode, black screen and cursor.

any ideas

edit #1: (just a note i am currently seeing if will boot off xp cd and will try chkdsk /r)

edit #2: having asearch for sata driver to load into xp setup as the bios is rubbish and has next to no options!! if anyone has a quick link pop it in, cheers

A:Vista black screen with cursor

i had the same problem .
all it was is my drive was no more good with 168 memory left on it .
3 years use

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-black-screen-with-cursor.911811/
Relevancy 52.89%

I m running the latest screen HELP! Vista freeze! black Vista RC build I believe It has been Vista black screen freeze! HELP! running fine with no boot problems but then tonight I was burning a CD and it tried to write then froze on and I tried to access Windows explorer at the same time before it would allow me to navigate anything it froze and I could do nothing not even CTRL ALT DEL I was forced to turn off the computer at the tower Upon reboot it gets past the Windows Vista animated progress bar screen and then turns black and halts there It does nothing more I tried Safe Mode but when it s loading the files it halts on crcdisk sys and never moves I m pretty much stuck I unplugged every single USB device from the back of the machine as well no change I have made NO recent hardware or software installations If I could get back into Safe Mode I could at least run a system restore but as of right now it s not letting me do anything I don t use SATA drives or drivers so that is not an issue concerning crcdisk sys If no one knows anything by tomorrow afternoon I m going to go through the lengthy process of swapping hard drives with another PC and reinstalling Vista on a clean hard drive I really don t want to have to do this if it s not necessary Someone give me something else to try please Cheers nbsp

A:Vista black screen freeze! HELP!

Did you get an answer for this problem? I have the same problem

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-black-screen-freeze-help.520335/
Relevancy 52.89%

Hi I've got a strange problem when i try to boot from the vista DVD it loads the screen when Black from booting Vista DVD files ok and i see the green vista bars appear and it looks like its loading fine Then it just gives me a black screen where it should load into the vista setup I'll start from the begining so you know exactly what i did and what might be causing this I was trying to fix a previous problem in vista and screwed things up big time I got a blue screen with a stop xC F error I found out that this is due to a corrupt TxfLog File and causes the blue screen to appear even when trying to boot from the vistan DVD Microsofts work around is to reformat and reinstall which i do Black screen when booting from Vista DVD not want to do as i will loose a lot of data I found this Workaround and followed the guide to delete the corrupted file After removing TxfLog attemting to boot from the dvd now gives me a black screen I suspect a hardware driver problem so i've flashed my bios to the latest version Disabled all non essentual devices removed my soundcard and all but stick of ram and nothing has worked As a test i changed my sata settings from RAID to IDE and bingo i can boot from the DVD but it wont allow me when sata is set to RAID Any Black screen when booting from Vista DVD ideas System Specs Asus Maximus Black screen when booting from Vista DVD Formula Intel core duo E Gb Ram x GB Hd's running RAID Vista Ultimate x

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/black-screen-when-booting-from-vista-dvd-278519.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Recently my brother in law tried to open up w/ Vista Black Screen Cursor a pdf which turned into a virus After that happened he was notified he was missing some drivers I told him to system restore and after doing that it just started up with the black screen This now happens on every boot including safe mode I cannot access anything via CTRL ALT Delete or the shift buttons The only thing I hear after hitting Shift times is a little sound like a blip so it may be coming up I just can't see it sticky keys Vista Black Screen w/ Cursor I have the Vista CDs and have tried every diagnostic option on there the startup diagnostic tells me there are no problems I have tried Vista Black Screen w/ Cursor to reinstall the video drivers from command line but I just get an Vista Black Screen w/ Cursor error I have also tried the Drivers and Utilities CD to run some kind of test and fix All the tests pass fine I think there is a problem with the video driver but I am not sure When I boot in safe mode it stops at crcdisk sys I don't know if this is the normal end point for safe mode but that's the last sys file loaded before the black screen I do not have a way to run an install without deleting everything and would prefer not to do that I cannot get to the device manager or control panel from where I am I have tried using devcon exe but its not that easy to use So just to recap no safe mode no regular startup no last good config no start diagnostic video driver won't install via cmd others do Any ideas I am almost out of them I am going to try and install SP for the heck of it but I doubt that would affect the boot up

A:Vista Black Screen w/ Cursor

Let see if this will get you to a point where we can use some of the regular repairs.
Try this

Take out the battery, (eliminate this step if desktop)
Remove main supply,
Hold power button down for 30 secs,
Put only power supply in, do not put battery in
Turn laptop on
Put the battery in.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/284439-vista-black-screen-w-cursor.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Hi All I have recently been experiencing a problem with my installation of Vista Home Premium I rebooted my laptop and now when I try to log on I enter my password and I see the quot Welcome quot screen with the spinning blue circle then the screen fades in screen logon after Black Vista out to a black screen with just the mouse cursor I have left it in this state for at least half an hour Black screen after logon in Vista and nothing else happens Pressing Ctrl Alt Del does nothing and neither does Ctrl Shift Esc The Black screen after logon in Vista same problem happens for both users that I have set up on the laptop I ve also tried booting into Safe Mode and this doesn t help either - the same problem occurs I run Kaspersky Internet Security so I am fairly confident that it is not a virus that has caused it I would really appreciate any help that anyone can offer on this problem thanks very much in advance Alex nbsp

Relevancy 52.89%

HAVE AN ASUS Z7100 THAT WAS RUNNING GREAT WITH XP. YOUNG GRANDSON DECIDED TO UPGRADE TO VISTA WHEN NO ONE AROUND. NOW COMPUTER POWERS UP AND THAT IS IT. BLACK SCREEN. NOTHING ELSE. CAN NOT FIGURE HOW TO GET IN TO RESTORE OR DELETE VISTA.
ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

A:Black screen after vista install

Have you tried a normal system restore? Like at start up..
Or are you not able to do that because of the vista instalation?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-screen-after-vista-install.834228/
Relevancy 52.89%

I have a Dell PC Inspiron 531 with Windows Vista 32 bit OS. System ran fine until today. Decided to perform system restore to earlier date. Continued with restore, computer shut down normally then restored with a black screen and white cursor. Unable to perform any fixes or diagnostics as I can see nothing. Attempted F8 on reboot, got as far as loading windows files and the please wait elipsis and then nothing.

Working on small tablet to post this message butdesperate for a fast solution to correct this serious problem. I am unale to access any of my files, did not perform backup.

Please assist ASAP if at all possible. Panicking.

Many thanks.

A:black screen vista 32 bit OS windows

expat93021 said:

I have a Dell PC Inspiron 531 with Windows Vista 32 bit OS. System ran fine until today. Decided to perform system restore to earlier date. Continued with restore, computer shut down normally then restored with a black screen and white cursor. Unable to perform any fixes or diagnostics as I can see nothing. Attempted F8 on reboot, got as far as loading windows files and the please wait elipsis and then nothing.

Working on small tablet to post this message butdesperate for a fast solution to correct this serious problem. I am unale to access any of my files, did not perform backup.

Please assist ASAP if at all possible. Panicking.

Many thanks.Click to expand...

I've asked a Mod to move this to it's own thread.
Please don't post new question in an existing thread ... it gets very confusing

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-screen-vista-32-bit-os-windows.1069944/
Relevancy 52.89%

Having issues Black Vista on Screen startup with my Dell Studio Vista laptop days ago it was working fine Had some family over for the holidays and i let them play with the laptop while they were at home and i was at work i think this Vista Black Screen on startup is where things went wrong Yesterday on startup it went straight from the windows startup splash screen to the black screen of death here s the rest of my adventure I was able to boot in safe mode and did a malware scan and removed quot suspicious quot items I also ran a Hijack this but didn t see anything that immediately jumped out as being a threat I tried to Vista Black Screen on startup reboot after the malware scan and was met with the black screen once again Next step was a repair restore both of which resulted in either a lockup or a black screen Rebooted again in safe mode this time with networking i went ahead and did a defrag as well as a scandisk and dskchk R After the dskchk everything seemed to boot fine When i tried to reboot quot normally quot again i received the black screen but was able to boot normally when i tried quot last known good configuration quot Once again I tried to boot in safe mode this time with quot advanced quot debugging and that worked fine Windows apparently downloaded an update while i was checking system settings and i decided to go ahead and install them After the installation auto-reboot Windows was up and running fine I added a new quot guest quot user thinking that if things were back to normal then that might help with the multiple users However when i just now rebooted again the black screen came to haunt me I m out of ideas so i thought i d post here to check if anyone else can help

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/479263/vista-black-screen-on-startup/
Relevancy 52.89%

Okay I got a Dell Inspiron screen cursor black Vista with from Best buy - months ago I installed a wireless mouse last night no problem This morning I have a black screen when I tried to start up my computer Graphics wouldn t come up so I held in the power button to restart Nothing A black screen with a movable cursor came up Im Vista black screen with cursor pretty technical and tried every small fix I know So I broadened my options I called Microsoft but they were closed midnight EST so I got sent to Dell Dell sent me to GeekSquad b c I got it from BestBuy This is what GeekSquad Said Me Explained Issue Man on Phone Yea we ve been seeing it a lot lately I think its a MS update or something Me So What are my options Man Well you can have a tech come to your house you can come in to your local best buy or you can do it from home Me Oh how can I do it from home Man Well we have to reformat your disk That erases Everything on it Me Yea I cant do that How much is it for a tech to come out b c i cant lose all my info Man for a tech to come to your house Me FOR A MICROSOFT PROBLEM Man Ya Me GREAT So I am here no one knows what to do and I am stuck with my old crappy laptop Please help if you have encountered this same Black Screen of Death and need it fixed Brandon nbsp

Relevancy 52.89%

Hello. I have a problem with Vista. It is frozen at the black screen and wants input but nothing works. I have re-booted, unplugged power, and nothing helps. Any ideas?
zaxan

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-frozen-at-black-screen.892812/
Relevancy 52.89%

Hi,

I switched don my PC today and all seemed to be ok during boot up. After the loading windows green progress bar disappeared all I got was a black screen not even the cursor. I could here my computer working away as I heard it telling me my virus software has been updated.

I powered down the PC and rebooted it in safe mode, which works perfectly fine. But everytime I try and boot up normally I get the black screen

Has this happened to anybody else, does anyone have any idea what I can do to fix it.

Thanks

I am currently running Vista service pack 2 on a Packard Bell desktop

A:Windows Vista Black Screen

What graphics card do you have?

As a first try, remove the driver for graphics and reboot, letting Windows install its own version.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-vista-black-screen.948704/
Relevancy 52.89%

Hello, when I start up my PC and the windows logo appears and then goes away like it's meant to, but instead of it going to my desktop my screen just stays black and the only way to get my desktop is to open task manger and ending the explorer.exe file and then running it again, I'm wondering is there anyway to fix this and for it to automatically load to my desktop any help will be appreciated thanks

Relevancy 52.89%

When i log onto my vista home premium laptop inspiron 1545 the screen is completely black and if i use ctrl, alt, delete and run explorer.exe it's fine but if i restart the same problem occurs is there any solution to this problem?

A:Windows vista black screen

Take a look here

http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Recovering+the+Vista+Bootloader+from+the+DVD

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-vista-black-screen.863900/
Relevancy 52.89%

I've recently had a problem with my PC, it boots up normally but when it reaches the Login Screen i type the password and all that jazz and bang everything is black , i can only see the mouse cursor nothing seems to be running

I've tried going into safe mode - same problem
tried system recovery when booting up - same problem

NEED HELP

A:Windows Vista - Black Screen

hi try this way http://vistahomepremium.windowsreins...temrestore.htm

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-vista-black-screen-342702.html
Relevancy 52.89%

I am helping a friend with their Vista machine (I am XP myself) their Laptop boots into a black screen with the mouse only, same result with any mode (safe mode, last good configuration etc.)

The Ctrl/Alt/Del does not work while sitting at the black screen with only a mouse (which is not frozen)

I tried the F8 at boot up to chose the "Repair your computer" option but can not log in as Administrator it says account has been disabled.. so I log into the account my friend has on there (which I assume should have admin privileges?!?) I try to run Msconfig.exe but it says something about not having the correct privileges blah blah....

I was hoping to run msconfig.exe to fix the start up issue... but can not without the correct privileges set..

Any idea???

Thanks in advance for any input

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vista-black-screen-of-death-need-help-446714.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Hey guys before I start I want to say this about my pc It is a Windows Vista home premium and it was fast until I got the black screen of death and now I can t help Please black screen. Vista Windows login I really love this computer I don t have any other computers and this is all I have in terms of a computer Problem with it Black screen can t login or boot up whatsoever Things I can do I can open command prompt because I m using a old windows recovery disk Windows Vista black screen. Please help that is my brothers I do NOT have a recovery disk and I don t have anything to burn on with Computer specs I don t know a lot about the specs of it except that s it is a windows vista home Windows Vista black screen. Please help premium edition has Windows Vista black screen. Please help around gb of space and it was really fast and reliable My situation One day I was on my dell windows vista pc and I was on websites before I knew it it started lagging and going really slow I had to shut it off and give it a break So I did for a day or two I got on about a day and half later and it loads up to windows corporation I REALLY need this fixed and I have been trying for days now I m on my IPhone and I have limited time and I have limited resources Please help me nbsp

Relevancy 52.89%

Recently Vista Black Screen At Login reinstalled Vista and am in the process of reloading all my programs and drivers I'm trying Black Screen At Vista Login to get my XFX nVidia GTX drivers to install but Black Screen At Vista Login they simply do not work When I install them reboot login the screen just goes black and loses signal If I reboot again it makes it to the login screen then goes black PC boots fine into safe mode Black Screen At Vista Login where I can remove the drivers and revert back to Vista's default display driver The PC has no onboard graphics Things I've tried so far Different Memory RAM Different Drivers - I've tried around different versions of the nVidia Forceware Drivers Reinstalling Vista Can't believe this didn't fix the problem I've looked in the event viewer for any clues and found this error 'IRQARB ACPI BIOS does not contain an IRQ for the device in PCI slot function Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance ' Not sure if that has anything to do with it none of the other errors in the event viewer appear to be related to my problem The fact that the PC works fine with Vista's default display driver suggests that there is no problem with the screen or the graphics card itself I've read several threads in other forums with people that have the same problem but no concrete solutions Any help with this would be much appreciated

A:Black Screen At Vista Login

Hello szkoda

Have you checked out the NVIDIA forums?
http://forums.nvidia.com/

also, I would get a most recent driver update of your video card from NVIDIA website.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/black-screen-at-vista-login-426413.html
Relevancy 52.89%

When I boot my computer the "Windows Loading" icon is there for a long time, then after it disappears a black screen appears. The black screen is there for about 10 minutes. Meanwhile the computer makes a lot of noise. Then when the 10 minutes have passed the computer stops being very noisily and I get to my login screen. When I type in my password and login it is very slow. Then when I finally get to the desktop it is also very slow and "Explorer" starts freezing randomly and I have to restart it and hope, that the computer will start normally and not have a black screen for 10 minutes.

Sometimes when I boot my computer this problem does not occur, but mostly it does and it's been going on for a very long time.

The computer also crashes about once a day meanwhile I'm playing a 3D videogame.

A:Vista - Black Screen at Boot

Run a full antivirus scan
Download and make a full scan with malwarebytes. Be sure to update first

Try booting with a clean boot for testing
How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

Try to boot in safe mode, does the problem persist?

Are you using any virtual software; Daemon etc?

http://www.vistax64.com/crashes-debugging/287701-vista-black-screen-boot.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Okay guys let s start in the beginning About a month ago I was using my laptop a mini Acer pretty lame laptop but the only one I can afford right now in my apartment when something scared the bejesus out of me and I dropped it It fell a little hard After that every time I try to start it the startup gives me two options to try Repair mode or try to Start Windows Normally In either case it just Screen Vista Windows Black doesn t work and gives me Windows Vista Black Screen the Black Screen of death I have tried the F key which did bring me to the menu but it doesn t boot in Safe Mode I have tried this many times but it just keeps rebooting I really don t know what I can do Or if I can do anything I wanted to ask here if there s any way to fix this at home since I need my laptop back as soon as possible and every place where they could fix it well they are pretty expensive I would really appreciate it if someone could help me with this problem Again thanks a lot to every one that may answer this trying to help me Have a good one nbsp

Relevancy 52.89%

reboot failure
toshiba satellite a300 series has worked flawlessly since new 5 yrs ago

A:black screen then no vista reboot

Does it start up if you removed the charger? I'm having an issue where my Toshiba Satellite won't start up properly while the charger is in, perhaps that's what yours is too.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/black-screen-then-no-vista-reboot-663624.html
Relevancy 52.46%

hi all i have a problem when vista is booting up past the loading bar screen sometimes not always the system kinda hangs when about to boot into desktop?, a mouse pointer appears and the screen is black for about 30-45 seconds then the vista circle icon appears then desktop loads?
is this a known problem or just my system?

Many thanks in advance

A:Vista black screen when about to boot into desktop?

The HP Website has the following support article:

? HP Notebook PCs - Black Screen Appears for 2 Minutes after Welcome Screen Displays - c01271669 This document describes what to do if the notebook display shows black screen for a prolonged period of time after the welcome screen displays.

See: HP Notebook PCs*-* Black Screen Appears for 2 Minutes after Welcome Screen Displays*In short, it says to update the Recovery Manager program. Did it. Didn't work.

I then came across a posting that stated that the same problem had been fixed by removing a special character from the computer name. The Costco Concierge techs who re-installed the OS on my machine last week gave it the name "Owner-PC" and I hadn't bothered to rename it yet. I thought it was a long shot that renaming my machine would fix the 90+ second black screen between the Welcome page and Desktop, but it worked. I gave my machine a name with no spaces or special characters and the "fix" seems to be permanent.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/171793-vista-black-screen-when-about-boot-into-desktop.html
Relevancy 52.46%

Hey I'm having a bit of trouble with my PC I boot it up it boot loading after screen Black bar at Vista goes through the usual information goes through the vista loading bar with the bits scrolling left to right and then goes to a black screen with the cursor which is movable in place of the vista pearl that is supposed to show up I've left the computer for hours to see if it was perhaps Black screen after Vista loading bar at boot just being slow but no cigar This started happening after I was playing World of Warcraft and my computer locked up froze and I ad to reset it On resetting this black screen after loading bar problem started Note that the monitor does not go into sleep there is no error message on screen like 'Out of Range' 'No signal' it just stays black Black screen after Vista loading bar at boot with the cursor which I can whizz around the screen in frustration Recently a bit over a week ago I upgraded my graphics card and psu to Jeantech Storm w PSU XFX Geforce GT MB GDDR Alpha Dog Edition I had no problems with either until yesterday which seems a little strange to me My OS is Vista SP bit I've tried booting to safe mode with the same results as booting normally Anyone know anything on this problem I have googled to no avail as I have seen several 'solutions' to problems identical to mine but with the variety of the solutions I can't help but think I should come to a forum like this and get more advice Thanks to everyone who helps me Will

A:Black screen after Vista loading bar at boot

Bump for shame.

Need help real bad. Thanks guys :)

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/black-screen-after-vista-loading-bar-at-boot-331331.html
Relevancy 52.46%

I need help getting this Vista laptop to boot back into windows It had a virus once removed it would no longer boot I'm thinking the boot process is messed up because when it starts up it shows in the boot selection WINPE RAMDISK and Vista Home Premium Well when I goto WINPE it takes me to the recovery manager so I ran sfc scannow chkdsk and claims to have fixed some errors Well try to boot into the main OS and still just sits at a black screen after the loading screen and before the login screen and can move the cursor in normal boot and safe mode I've found some possible solutions of pressing ctrl alt dlt and nothing happens tried pressing shift times get the sound but still shows nothing I cant reformat it yet until I get the files backed up I tried using the file backup system in the recovery manager but onces its done gathering the files it says to insert USB and I do but won't ever recognize it I've tried inserting it before the file scan and same ending result I've checked the BIOS to make sure USB was enabled but I believe the virus is preventing me from fully accessing the BIOS can't get off the main to view anything else Its weird though because it just let me view everything a few minutes prior only screen to black cursor with will Vista boot now it won't let me I've tried boot fix and all that stuff and no go still stuck Needing help

A:Vista will only boot to black screen with cursor

You can try this Back Up Data without Booting to Vista[11]=Backup%20Restore

There is another way using the vista disc. But I can not find it.

Hope I was some help.

Jimmy

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/293961-vista-will-only-boot-black-screen-cursor.html
Relevancy 52.46%

I'm stumped with this and need help I'm running a Dell Studio laptop with Vista Service Pack I can login normally but instead of going to my desktop it takes me straight to Safe Mode black screen with movable cursor and a window that says quot Windows Boot Error quot No error code The next window it gives me asks to scan the hard drive and the file system If I choose quot Yes quot it scans then comes back and tells me there is a hard disk screen, Vista error SP2: boot black error and I need to download the following updates It gives me no list of updates If I click quot Yes quot to the download the window goes away and it does nothing If I click quot No quot on either of these windows it waits three seconds and then brings the window back up starting from the quot scan hard drive and file system quot window If I clear the windows I can use the -shift quot Sticky Keys quot window to get into my Windows Explorer but only at five-minute bursts at a time My system was just purged not two weeks ago of the System Tool virus Do I have another stupid virus on my machine or is there something else going on Thanks in advance

A:Vista SP2: black screen, boot error

Sounds like a virus to me - none of what you describe sounds like legitimate Windows error messages.

To be sure, please follow these directions to post over in the malware forums: NEW INSTRUCTIONS - Read This Before Posting For Malware Removal Help - Tech Support Forum

If you're worried about your hard drive try this free, bootable hard drive diagnostics routine: HD Diagnostic (read the details at the link)

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vista-sp2-black-screen-boot-error-554099.html
Relevancy 52.46%

I bought a Dell from walmart with preinstalled Vista. I have had it almost 2 years. After a recent update (I guess) is now saying the Vista is not genuine and I'm getting a black screen at start up. I need my computer! I've been everywher with no help.
I am not vry computer literate so some of the lingo is greek to me. I have so many pictures and my financec on there tha I cannot lose!
Bam someone PLEASE help me!
K

A:Vista Black screen on pre installed Dell

If your computer came with a boot disk, I'd try using that. If you can't boot from the disk, then re-install your operating system.

Hope this helps!

Lemme know how it goes.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vista-black-screen-on-pre-installed-dell-350348.html
Relevancy 52.46%

Hey I have a Dell Inspirion Somehow I have messed up the video settings I think If I hit media direct everything is fine I can play a dvd no problem BUT I can no longer get into Vista I only get a black screen The cursor is there and I can move it but the screen is totally black I called Dell and surprise it s not hardware it s software and I have to pay for them to help and according to the tech he may have to restore it which I can do myself for free I have searched several forums I found some people who fixed the issue by removing the battery and powering it up that way for a couple of seconds but that didn t work for me I also tried the suggestion of hooking it up to an external monitor but since I can t access anything I had no way of initiating the second monitor Any ideas Thanks in advance Juanita ps haven t been here in a while love the new look nbsp

Relevancy 52.46%

OS is Windows Vista had SP and latest updates Inspiron One day walked up to the laptop and it had a black screen and blinking cursor I power down and on dozens and dozens of times since then - happened a few days ago - - Each time I power on I see the initial F amp F Dell screen then goes straight to black screen with blinking cursor F has no affect and never get anywhere near to Windows Vista booting Tried Vista restore from Dell disk several times and doesn't work and doesn't detect any problems Ran all extended hardware and memory diagnostics that came with the Dell computer and everything passes Tried new Vista install which then requires a reboot to complete then went right back to Black Blinking - Cursor Vista Screen black screen with Vista - Black Screen Blinking Cursor blinking cursor Been scanning and scanning the internet have hit a major logic gridlock as to what the problem could be All hardware appears fine and passes all tests Then tried new Vista installation and still get the black screen with blinking cursor I am very desperate to get this fixed My wife needs this up and running for work come early Monday morning

A:Vista - Black Screen Blinking Cursor

Hi Family_Man,

My name is Tapan. I am from Dell Social Media Team.

I read your message and I appreciate your effort. You can try releasing the flea power which might be causing this issue by following the below mentioned steps.
1. Shut down the system and unplug the power cord and remove the battery as well.
2. Press and hold the power button on the laptop for about 10 seconds.
3. Release the power button.
4. Please put the battery back in and plug in the ac adapter and power on the system.

You can also change the boot sequence in BIOS and make CD DVD ROM as first boot device.

The OS reinstallation not initiating or finishing might very well be caused by a damaged CD or DVD, you can try another Windows Vista Home premium CD and use the product key on the bar coded label of your system.
Let me know of the findings. Glad to be of assistance.

Thanks & Regards
Dell_Tapan_s
Dell Social Media Responder

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vista-black-screen-blinking-cursor-656686.html
Relevancy 52.46%

Okay, I've seen many people with this problem, and all of the solutions provided do not seem to work for me. I've had the problem of vista hanging at a black screen every now and then, but after a few restarts it would boot up fine. Now though, its not booting up at all, displays the vista loading screen and then hangs at a black screen. I've tried running safe mode(s) and last known configuration to no avail. Safe mode hangs after it gets to crcdisk.sys (I've let it sit there for about 30 minutes) and last known configuration just hangs at the black screen too. I've tried inserting my factory restore cd, and it loads up to the screen with a vista background and a mouse, but does nothing else (I've let that one load for about an hour or two) I would very much like some help please.

A:Vista hangs at black screen on start up

d/load and run the h/drive makers diagnostic utility on the h/drive

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

what are you running
video card
cpu
m/board
ram
power supply
brand
wattage

check the listings in the bios for voltages and temperatures and post them

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vista-hangs-at-black-screen-on-start-up-424166.html
Relevancy 52.46%

I have a Toshiba laptop running Vista. It was working fine before. Today I took it out and tried to boot it. It couldn't boot up. I pressed the power button, and it was ON. however, nothing showed up on the screen, not even the BIOS/manufacturer logo. And no beep sound either. I tried to connect it to another monitor, no help. I took out the HDD and RAM. no help either. Does anyone know what happen, and help me? Thank you very much.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-screen-no-beep-at-boot-vista.985563/
Relevancy 52.46%

I m not really sure if this should go here or under the Vista section because I don t know if it s a software Dual Black Boot Xp Vista Screen or hardware problem I m running a GQ desktop from frys I know it s not the best rig with a Celeron D processor gb of ram I have a eGeForce GS gb internal harddrive gb WD external drive a CD Vista Xp Dual Boot Black Screen RW DVD Rom with Vista Home Basic Even though it doesn t have the best specs it runs my older games and I can even play Ovlivion on it with out too much trouble I haven t had many problems with it before Just recently I really wanted to play Assassins Creed and I noticed I would have to upgragde my Ram if i tried to play it on Vista But on Xp it only needs gb of ram to play So i decided to take my Xp Pro disk from my older computer and install it beside Vista I partitioned my external drive I decided to give Xp about gb I installed EasyBCD I might have done this too early the info i had said to install it after I installed my other OS and repaired Vista I read all the warnings about how Vista doesnt like dual booting and all that stuff but me being the stupid person I am decided that I wasn t going to have any problems And so i restarted my computer and booted from the Xp disk I told it to install it on my X drive what i decided to name it and it seemed to go through the setup fine After the setup it rebooted and the Bios information came up as per usual I guess it s called the POST screen or something It then went into a black screen and it said something along the lines of quot OS cant be started quot or something like that I thought that was odd so i C A D and told it to boot from the Xp disk again I went through setup again except this time it game me a warning about installing two OS on the same drive I told it to install on the x drive again so i guess xp was already on it but i didnt think it would be a problem because it was the same OS on the X drive It seemed to go through setup fine again although it seemed faster this time but i just attributed that to the fact that it already had all the files on it Rebooted the POST screen came up but now it just gives me a black screen with the dreaded white blinking dash I can C A D to reset and I can enter the setup for the bios and I can choose what drive to boot from but no matter what drive I boot from it gives me the black screen I cant even run a system restore from my factory disk which REALLY worrys me I have my external drive unplugged now which is where Xp was installed and I cant boot from my Internal HDD or my DVD drive which has the recovery disk it it I can t even boot into DOS or safe mode to change my boot parameters to rd disk s which is what some other website told me to do Unless there s a way to enter boot parameters into a BIOS setup or reset my bios or something I really have no idea what to do Please help me Frys was no use and I really need my computer back Thanks so much in advance srry for the long post nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-xp-dual-boot-black-screen.732371/
Relevancy 52.46%

Hello there! I'm having an issue with one of my windows Vista systems. It's a HP computer (blah, I know)... and is several years old. It's issue of late occurs on start-up. After attempting to "Start windows normally", the system will display the load screen then immediately go to a black screen. It doesn't restart... it just stays black. I've tried to go into Safe Mode as well as do a system restore and go to the last known good config. Nothing works. The problem is there is over 200 gb worth of work, school and personal files on this system I need to export to my external hd. After that I don't care what happens to this freakin computer.

If anyone has any advice, I would greatly appreciate it.

Edit: It's a x86 Windows Vista Home Premium OS.

A:Black screen after windows vista logo

Try booting from your CD and choose repair..

http://www.vistax64.com/crashes-debugging/299210-black-screen-after-windows-vista-logo.html
Relevancy 52.46%

Hi , can anyone advise? my vista laptop recently hung at black screen with cursor after loggin in. when pressing ctrl-alt-del, can see "preparing your desktop" for a quick sec. Able to access via safe mode and have narrow down to this service "shell hw detection". when disabled this service, able to login normally.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vista-laptop-hung-at-black-screen-1100753.html