Windows Support Forum

Managing a large Digital Music Library

Q: Managing a large Digital Music Library

Hello and thank you for reading,

I have a large digital music collection of about 5,000 songs. I just recently switched from a Windows Computer to a Mac. I transfered the files to the Mac and converted them to AAC - which promptly lost approximately 1,500 songs (I still have the Windows backups).

The library has become quite cumbersome to keep organized. iTunes does not provide an adequately easy interface to manage large amounts of somewhat unorganized files and I am looking for something more powerful.

A quick search online showed me several programs for Windows, but I wasn't able to find anything for Mac OS X. Does anybody have any suggestions for how I might organize this library?

James

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Managing a large Digital Music Library

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Managing a large Digital Music Library

Go back to the PC?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/managing-a-large-digital-music-library.501687/
Relevancy 30.1%

Hi fellow techspotters,

odd thing has happened to my friend, whos pc I have handbuilt. Every time he starts downloading lets say 1gb or bigger file his RAM starts to fill up. No processes are visible to be the cause. Cpu usage stays on normal level, but the ram just keeps on filling. Until it is throttled by capping on 8gb and he is forced to pause the download and reboot the machine, and the RAM is cleaned.

I posted this under networking, because I doubt that it is a hardware related problem.
The numbers go some like this. 8gb of RAM = 20gb of download -> cap -> restart -> ram clear -> restore download. And the RAM gets used oddly like its ment to behave like this. Does it store something on the way?

It isnt actually a problem, my friend can cope with it. But I as a builder of the PC would really like to solve this. I have never encountered such memory behavior with downloads before.

Screencaps of the situation available when I get home from work.

cheers
m

A:RAM capping while downloading large files

Does the machine have an anti-virus installed? And if so, does memory usage have the same effect with or without active scanning?

When monitoring Task Manager, which process is using the memory allotment that appears to be accumulating? Killing the process should clear memory usage by that process.

Forgive me as I beat around the bush, not really knowing what to say.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ram-capping-while-downloading-large-files.212335/
Relevancy 27.09%

Look no further than a solid state drive for breakneck speed. If a large-capacity drive for storage is what you're after, however, traditional spinning hard drives are still the best bet in terms of price per GB. And if you...

Read more

A:Western Digital 'Green' hard drives now available in capacities up to 6TB

On a more interesting note, Seagate is already shipping 8TB HDD-s to its select customers, with 10TB ones to follow.

Besides, nothing beats the current 6TB Enterprise offer from Seagate anyway, in terms of price+performance+capacity. Let Western Digital lag behind as it does

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/western-digital-green-hard-drives-now-available-in-capacities-up-to-6tb.204017/
Relevancy 27.52%

This build will be for my 77 year old mother who lives in another state and I am trying to build this as stable and problem free preventative mode as best as I can with the understanding that any hardware can fail at any time.

Anyway, NewEgg is having both their Blue and Black WD 1TB hard drives on sale that goes off of sale after tomorrow. I know Black is often the choice due to build quality and 5 year warranty. However, the Blue would really help budget wise because every dollar counts and it sees many people have had good success with the Blue.

She does MS Office, email, surfing plus she has an online business that keeps her very busy along with uploading a lot of photos.

Thanks.

A:New Build: Western Digital Blue or Black?

Blue. Because of her work tasks.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-build-western-digital-blue-or-black.204928/
Relevancy 25.8%

Hey guys, I am going on holiday in early June and am looking for a way to listen to music while I'm in the pool as I plan to spend a lot of time doing so.
The way I can see it is that I have two options:

Buy a waterproof case and waterproof headphones
buy a waterproof MP3 player all-in-one.
Obviously each option has it's flaws - otherwise I wouldn't be there.
Even if I buy a waterproof case how can I be sure that even though there is a waterproof case, where it contacts with waterproof earphones will be waterproof as 'waterproof' to some sellers just means rain-proof.
The problem with the all in ones like the Sony Waterproof Walkman is that they are very expensive for very little space, the 4GB alone being 50 and 8GB is 80.

Does anyone have experience in the matter, anything they can recommend, preferably I'd like to use my phone in a case for my 32GB MicroSD card, but whatever works I guess.

Cheers guys.

A:How can I listen to music whilst swimming?

:big grin: My wife JUST purchase a waterproofed iPad Shuffle from waterfi.com

website is very descriptive and the device is AS Advertised - - she's very happy with it

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-can-i-listen-to-music-whilst-swimming.201909/
Relevancy 25.37%

When I play windows media player or any other mp3 player my pc begins to slow down a lot and mouse stutters and my internet webpage closes :/ any help please?

I've posted my IRQ

A:When I play music my PC starts to slow down and mouse stutters

What are your system specs?

Some possible solutions: Make sure Windows is up to date. Try updating your sound driver (post your system specs and I will show you how to).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/when-i-play-music-my-pc-starts-to-slow-down-and-mouse-stutters.200950/
Relevancy 27.95%

Hi,
I want to buy a new hard disk.
While I was searching I found two identical hard drives, but one was WESTERN DIGITAL and the other one was SEAGATE.

What do you think which one is better (or more reliable)?

A:Western Digital or Seagate?

Even though I personally use Seagate, I would vote for either one. I've had equally good and bad luck with all drive manufacturers.

With only those two options, anyone casting a vote would be seen as biased (IMO).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/western-digital-or-seagate.200682/
Relevancy 28.81%

Hi Everyone - I occasionally have to share a large file between one person and another for work I was using yousendit which worked site large closed Reliable Yousendit needed... file-sharing fine they have changed to be hightail and they have a blog - at their blog there are many comments circa oct about it now not working and being buggy So I don t want to go with that I am looking for current suggestions of a site for file sharing I am willing to pay a modest fee month like to know it will work well and Reliable large file-sharing site needed... Yousendit closed not junk up anyone s computer with any trashy downloader and is very simple to use - I cannot spend a lot of time teaching people with various levels of web savvy and computer savvy how to make an acct log in work some elaborate quot unique quot interface and so on I would prefer a service where an email goes to the recipient s email address they click on the link and from that easily select an option to download I am not sharing burned CDs or DVDs - I just need to share work-related audio recordings from the person recording to a transcriber When I look at reviews on the web it seems that services change a lot over time so I don t want to go for what had great reviews a year ago Please help with suggestions -Thanks nbsp

A:Reliable large file-sharing site needed... Yousendit closed

Look at shutterfly.com

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/reliable-large-file-sharing-site-needed-yousendit-closed.197694/
Relevancy 27.09%

I have a Western Digital drive and it keeps freezing the transfer process around 15 seconds remaining. I am trying to transfer my movie files to it. The files are around 750 megs to 2.5 gigs each. I am trying to do them one at a time. I have got it to transfer about 3 movies to the device. When the transfer locks I have to turn off the computer and turn it back on to get it to stop. Its I think a 110 gig external.

A:Western Digital Drive Freezes Transfer Process

Some details you have left out.
Age of PC
Desktop or Laptop
How much RAM?
Single, Dual or Quad or high CPU.
Size of HDD
What source are you using to transfer file to the HDD?
Are you using a network LAN?
Speed of the LAN 10, 100, 10000?

When you do this type of work make sure the PC doesn't go to sleep and keep an eye on it.
Make sure the HDD doesn't have any bad blocks do a check disk (CHKDSK C: /F
Make sure the HDD is de-fragmented
Make sure the HDD has done quick or full optimized (use ULTRA DEFRAG FREE)
Make sure the system is cleaned using JetClean Free

The condition of the HDD is very important also the source your transferring from too it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/western-digital-drive-freezes-transfer-process.197415/
Relevancy 26.66%

I have a western digital 1 tb hard disk. which was working fine few hours ago.
but now when I am connecting it it is not showing in my computer.
I am using a windows 7 X64 machine.
I have tried every thing.
when I uninstall the driver from device manager and connect it again, windows tries to
install the driver but fails every time.

I have lot of important data on the drive
Plzzzz Helppp

Relevancy 27.95%

I'm just curious as to why I see the black & white images on the top left corner my Monitor when I shut my W7 pc down? They don't appear together, but sequentially. Its no biggie, just curious,thank you.

A:HDMI, Digital & Analog

No idea. Could be your monitor text saying "no signal, going to sleep". Try and take a photo next time.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hdmi-digital-analog.196425/
Relevancy 27.09%

Good afternoon I am sure this has been mentioned on here many times but every time I search for my problem I always get the same results Third party this format this backup your data that Here is what is going on I have a TB external hard drive that is more than full backing up my data via third party software is not an option because to hard external Digital Western drive 2TB Raw NTFS I don t have room to store the data anywhere The copious amount of data on the drive is also why I can not just simply format the drive to change the file system I have also tried a couple of methods involving check disk commands and using disk management neither of these methods have worked out in my favor This problem has really shaken my confidence with computers and troubleshooting up until this point I thought I was pretty well educated on fixing stuff like this but I really can not figure this one out 2TB Western Digital external hard drive Raw to NTFS So here s the summary large hard drive no formatting no backing up the data RAW to NTFS Thank you nbsp

A:2TB Western Digital external hard drive Raw to NTFS

I'm still confused. What is it you want to do?

Try Recuva, if you think your files have been deleted!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/2tb-western-digital-external-hard-drive-raw-to-ntfs.195946/
Relevancy 25.8%

Hey guys, I've recently ordered a new PC and it should be here in a week. I'm a gamer and I like to write music and will finally be able to record with my new system. I'm just lacking a sound card. So basically I'm looking for a card that will be awesome for gaming and music. Any suggestions out there? I know I will need a PCI-E card. I'm looking to spend $150-200. Any help would be much appreciated

A:Sound card for gaming and making music

This is probably the best one out there: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132010

That is the best of both worlds. There is a better card for gaming, but the Essence above is much better for creating music and phenomenal for gaming.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sound-card-for-gaming-and-making-music.191256/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hello,
I have a problem with SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio on my HP - nc6220 laptop, WinXP professional sp2.

SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio just stopped working, I tried reinstalling it but it always says that there was a problem during installation and it might not work properly.

In Control Panel>Sounds and Audio devices it's all grayed out so I cannot do anything there.
In device manager there is a yellow exclamation mark, I tried disable-enable but it does not help.
I also tried updating the driver, re-enabling windows audio in services, even reinstalled Windows and installing sp3.

Also I tried an USB sound card and it is working well.

Is there anything else I could do, or maybe SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio is just broken and cannot be fixed?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/soundmax-integrated-digital-audio-stopped-working.190808/
Relevancy 27.95%

Hi I have a basic IBM Thinkpad model T Out of the headphone jacks I run a splitter and have sound through sets of IBM Infinity speakers speakers in all I recently received a Boston Acoustics BA- speaker setup but I can t get / speakers analog Digital it to work through my PC From reading on-line I believe these BA speakers are digital whereas Digital / analog speakers the Infinity speakers likely are analog or possibly the other way around I can t upgrade or modify the PC itself owned by my employer so new soundcards etc is not an option My question how can Digital / analog speakers I get the BA speaker setup to work with the existing speakers I have in place are there converters etc that I can get from an electronics store that can make them all compatable and continue to drive sound using the headphone jack My understanding is the BA speakers have great sound so I quot m hoping Digital / analog speakers I can somehow add them to the setup thanks nbsp

A:Digital / analog speakers

Hmm; The short answer is you would need a digital sound card and the BA speakers connect to its output.

Physics 101: A device that transforms one media into another is called a transducer.

From the beginning, a speaker has been a stationary magnet and a suspended wire coil connected to a 'cone'.
When the sound amplifier produces an A/C output to the coil, the fluctuating current causes motion and the cone vibrates
to simulate the A/C pattern that was applied - - not perfectly, but good enough to the human ear.

This is the Analog transducer: current is transformed into sound.
The inverse of this design is the phonograph pickup where motion is transformed into a signal.

Another example is our display monitors; originally these were all VGA (analog) and today a great many are digital.

ALL digital systems transduce 0's & 1's back into an analog signal to make the speakers work - - but the raw input has to be 0's & 1's.

Here's a comment from EHOW.COM
Boston Acoustics Ba735 Speakers are high-performance digital loudspeakers designed for connecting to a personal computer or laptop. The computer must have a digital soundcard to be compatible with the speakers, although this is a standard feature on all new computers. Special software drivers are required to run the speakers on older computers. Boston Acoustics Ba735 speakers can also be hooked up to a DVD player with any digital connection, such as a USB port.​

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/digital-analog-speakers.187494/
Relevancy 27.52%

I have a Western Digital Elements Tb external drive which contains around Gb of data The drive itself is a WD Caviar Green Mb cache The drive functioned normally for an amount hard Western working drive not Digital of time but a while ago it started failing to spin up I m not getting the Western Digital hard drive not working distinct click of a dead drive just repeated quiet attempts to get itself going I have removed the drive from its enclosure to see if the casing was the problem After connecting it to an internal SATA port and power cable my PC failed to boot so it seems it is the drive itself which is the problem The drive shows up in Device Manager as working properly and any diagnostic tools show the correct capacity and volume of data but the folders remain inaccessible and my PC seems to struggle to perform some tasks while the drive is attempting to start When the drive does finally show up it shows as a local drive in My Computer and remains inaccessible I have tried Editing the registry as advised on the Microsoft support site Changing the drive letter Multiple USB and power cables Using as an internal drive nbsp

A:Western Digital hard drive not working

Well, if you can't access any files even when the drive is set as an external, the drive is toast... unless you want to pay someone to retrieve any data

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/western-digital-hard-drive-not-working.186383/
Relevancy 29.67%

Hello I have an issue I cant resolve with a networked HP LJ P - PC LJ P4014 restarts middle large printjobs the in HP is Win bit Any time we try to print a larger PDF anything over like pages the print job will get about of the way error out then restart printing the same file Almost like it runs out of memory Smaller paged jobs go through fine I ve noticed a meg pdf when I watch the print queue it sends over megs of data Other XP machines can print the same file to the with no problem ie Win XP sp Things I ve tried with the printer -replacing toners - was getting a supply error with the previous toner - not current toner -upgraded printer firmware -power cycled and pulled cat and power plug Things I tried with with PC - upgraded Adobe reader -downgrade IE from to -downgraded Adobe reader from to - removed Adobe and installed Foxit reader same issue -removed and reinstalled printer on PC - Tried every driver from HP even universal - manually installed printer and installed through search wizard - installed MS Silverlight - made sure bidirectional printing was unchecked -stopped and restarted print spooler I m a tech and I m stumped and I hate it I haven t contacted HP yet because I HP LJ P4014 restarts large printjobs in the middle think the warranty just ended I m think it has to do with something with the printer memory or a printer setting I don t know about Any help would be much appreciated nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-lj-p4014-restarts-large-printjobs-in-the-middle.186335/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hey guys, I have a Western Digital External Harddrive that's 1TB. Its probably been a year and a half old now but recently whenever I would plug it in it would take really long to load. Now currently, whenever its plugged in, instead of showing up as My Passport (G like it always did, its reading as Local Disk (G and Windows Explorer freezes everytime I even attempt to click it. Help please, I have over 300 gigs of music on it that I need for parties as I am a DJ.

A:Western Digital 1TB external hard drive problem

Have you tried accessing this drive on another computer?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/western-digital-1tb-external-hard-drive-problem.178996/
Relevancy 24.51%

My gb hdd is about years old which I realize is about the average lifespan of a WD harddrive Up until now it had only given me similar "Gibberish" on HDD external Western 500GB Digital files problems very sparingly and would be fixed with a quick restart Now after multiple restarts it looks like the problem is potentially permanent Here are some examples of what happens i imgur com h Dc jpg I have only used about GB on the HDD i imgur com SYBrN jpg "Gibberish" files on external Western Digital 500GB HDD The content of the HDD and what happens when I try to open a folder On other PCs well I tried it on an iMac the harddrive is "Gibberish" files on external Western Digital 500GB HDD read but no files show up I scanned it with what I believe was called "Gibberish" files on external Western Digital 500GB HDD Partition Recovery however no problems were found I m hoping someone on here can help me salvage it if not I ll just have to no longer trust WD Other information that might be useful Windows Vista -bit Problem seemed to have started after I began sharing it over network not sure if this was a coincidence nbsp

A:"Gibberish" files on external Western Digital 500GB HDD

Have you tested it with a hard drive diagnostic utility like SeaTools?

I'd consider checking for a firmware update on the drive and applying that. I think I've seen something similar like that happen with a dead hard drive but I can't exactly remember. So it might be worth waiting for someone else to respond before going ahead with the firmware update. I don't entirely know how those work and I wonder if updating the firmware may make recovery impossible (if it ever was possible to begin with).

Hiren's Boot CD has some pretty good recovery tools and I had some good luck recovering files off a drive when I booted into Mini XP mode with the CD. I had to try several utilities before I had any luck, and when I did find one that was able to recover it took a really long time, much longer than it would just copying files.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/gibberish-files-on-external-western-digital-500gb-hdd.178102/
Relevancy 27.95%

Hi,
I seen quite a few fancy LCD/LED "speedo" type temp displays on users custom builds bit i cant seem to source where to buy from as i dont know what they are called ? (Am in the UK by the way)

I have an Antec 300 with 2 availible front panels and would love one of these fancy displays.

please could you help me find some.

Thanks so much in advance.

Lee.

A:Front digital displays?

They are fan controllers/controller panels. I don't recommend an LCD one though as they can be troublesome. I have this in my Antec 300 and really like it and it matches.
http://www.amazon.com/Sentry-Mesh-C...ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1330125129&sr=1-2

Here are some LCD ones.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=5.25+controller+panels

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...25 bay&name=Controller Panels&Order=BESTMATCH

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/front-digital-displays.177962/
Relevancy 24.94%

Having dredged the internet, I came across this forum amongst the many with questions relating to cd drives working but dvd not etc, but my issue is slightly different, i think.

CDs seem to play ok, and so do DVDs, but I seem to have a problem with my laptop reading a disc with DS games on it that it used to read no problem. The discs can be used in my other half's laptop, so it is clearly a problem with my laptop.

I'd appreciate if anyone could advise where I can start to solve this problem

A:Music and video play on laptop CD/DVD drive but not data files

You need to have the CD/DVD drive replaced. Internal lasers fail in strange ways. The drives are not too expensive and they are easy to replace

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/music-and-video-play-on-laptop-cd-dvd-drive-but-not-data-files.175583/
Relevancy 26.23%

As a part time DJ i spend a lot of time playing the same laptop a Recording music from music in the same order so i was thinking what if i Recording music from a laptop could just sit down and record the tracks that i play Recording music from a laptop directly into one Recording music from a laptop big MP and then it would save me having to load and cue each track I use a program called ClubDJ Pro its a twin deck system with a predefined playlist i can usually just load a playlist and tell it to cross fade during the last quot X quot seconds of the song X being a set time between and seconds However i find some songs have an extended silence at the end that can when i first played them mess up the auto cross fade facility and as anyone will tell you silence is deadly when your doing DJ ing So is there a program i can use to either record directly from my program or use another PC or laptop to record onto i assume i would use the earphone out on one to the Line In socket on the other PC Laptop and then record onto that It would be good as it then means i can use different mixes of my own nbsp

A:Recording music from a laptop

you might use WavePad Sound Editor to remove the trailing silence

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/recording-music-from-a-laptop.174560/
Relevancy 25.8%

My speakers are Logitech Surround Speaker Z506 and motherboard gigabyte z68x-ud5-b3.

I havent got a soundcard but I'm wondering why i cant use 5.1? and what sort of plugins/codecs i need for it? it used to work for my old machine using realtek HD and all 5 speakers work but for some reason my newer machine doesnt work, anyone can help or lead me to find a solution?

A:Speakers not using 5.1 when watching/listening to movies/music

What media player are you using and does it support Dolby 5.1?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/speakers-not-using-5-1-when-watching-listening-to-movies-music.174538/
Relevancy 26.66%

Hey So this started a few days ago out of the blue i didnt install anything game of out digital in analog, (shows Monitor the sync when thing) goes or change anything i fired up batman arkham city on my pc i played that Monitor goes out of sync (shows the analog, digital thing) when in game game before on my pc this was routine and when going ingame monitor went black and gave me that Analog Digital thing at the upper left corner then it ll play that Hardware unplugged sound im on a xp Screen will stay black and go to sleep mode I ran dmark same thing happened Now i m getting no artifacts no tears no weird visual glitches games will even let me go ingame and play for about minutes before the screen shuts down computer will run fine d is great videos run great gpu Monitor goes out of sync (shows the analog, digital thing) when in game temps are between to on idle to on full throttle i was thinking of dust bunnies or dirt in general inside my gpu s heatsink and around my gpu i was gonna open the heatsink but the screws are really tight and i only have one of those handle-less drivers http creamyg hugelaser com Projects CES Log Photo Log CES Log Thin Screwdriver jpg What do i do can t afford a new gpu now nbsp

A:Monitor goes out of sync (shows the analog, digital thing) when in game

Ok, i opened up the heatsink, it was pretty dirty, so i cleaned everything up.
I reinstalled the GPU on its usual port, and it wouldn't give me an image. So i set it on another port, and voila, image. i doubt it fixed my problem though.

I'm gonna report later if it goes out of sync again

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/monitor-goes-out-of-sync-shows-the-analog-digital-thing-when-in-game.174600/
Relevancy 27.52%

1T/B Western Digital external drive not being recognized

Hello everyone,
I have a WD 1T/B external hard drive that is not being recognized by my computer anymore. It just stopped working. When I plug the USB cable in, Windows recognizes that the device is there, and says that it has installed the approapriate software for the device and it is ready to use. However, the drive does not appear in My Computer. Also, I have right-clicked on my computer and then the Manage option, and under Disk Management, I do not see the drive. I have all of my sports games and music on the drive. I just need some help on how to solve this problem.

A:1T/B Western Digital external drive

Tried another PC? Its possible something in the enclosure died and the drive itself is fine. Could open the enclosure up and put the drive in another one or put it internally in a PC.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/1t-b-western-digital-external-drive.173019/
Relevancy 25.8%

Looking for the best headphones for gaming and music... Noise canceling preferred so I can use them in a work environment also. Planning on spending no more than $100. Don't need a mic I can just use a separate one.
What do you guys think?
Thanks!

A:Choosing the best headphones? (gaming/music)

I'm considering using a few more dollars to get the Audio-Technica ATH-A700's, hmm what do you guys think.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/choosing-the-best-headphones-gaming-music.171298/
Relevancy 27.52%

I mistakenly plugged in my hard drive with the cable twisted and has hence not seen on any system I plugged it into afterwards,it sounds as though it is spinning inside with the indicator light on but wouldn't just come up, the light blinks but nothing is seen in my computer nor disk management,I have tried different cables, system but nothing.
Is there a way I can get my files back?

A:My 500GB Western Digital My Passport not seen in the system

You can try removing it from the enclosure. It will void the warranty, but if you are more interested in the data than the warranty it's worth a shot.

My guess is your physically damaged the plug when you forced it in the wrong way (the unit is keyed, so you must have used considerable force to do that), but the actual drive inside is probably undamaged. Remove it from the case and hook it up via SATA.

EDIT:
Actually - I did a little research on this and I guess it will depend on what version you have. Apparently the B8B version has the USB controller built into the drive itself, so you wouldn't be able to do as I suggested.

Check out this video - this guy explains why the B8B version is different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2ej3zBeCv0&feature=related

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-500gb-western-digital-my-passport-not-seen-in-the-system.170702/
Relevancy 28.38%

Looking for anyone out there that may know more about computers in relation to Animation and D Art It seems like Mac Animation or Art) PC (Digital and 3D a never ending debate on what s better The PC or the Mac Some will argue the Mac and others will PC or Mac (Digital Animation and 3D Art) fight to the death for the PC Putting gaming a side when comparing something like the The Enthusiast s PC http www techspot com guides buying page html and IMac ghz http store apple com us browse ho PC or Mac (Digital Animation and 3D Art) select afid p frgl amp PC or Mac (Digital Animation and 3D Art) cid AOS-US-SHOP-Froogle Which one would you recommend keep in mind we are talking about art related software and programs I d also like to be able to run multiple monitors comparable to the eyefinity setup that AMD has Or is there some other build you would recommend I m a new student and have approx to spend on a computer for school The package as to come with everything I ve also read that stacking a lot of RAM is essential for this sort of use out of a computer Thoughts Suggestions Thanks for taking the time to respond nbsp

A:PC or Mac (Digital Animation and 3D Art)

Not the apple.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-or-mac-digital-animation-and-3d-art.168043/
Relevancy 27.95%

just bought the WD2002FAEX. Its a SATA 3 controller, and I have the Asus P6T SE board.... installed properly and got it to show up in BIOS and Explorer but it keeps telling me Access is Denied... later set the jumper to 3.0gb/s but still no progress. does this mean my drive is DOA or is there another inherent problem I'm not aware of?

A:Western Digital 2TB not working

Did you format it yet?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/western-digital-2tb-not-working.167928/
Relevancy 24.51%

I bought a used HP 9100C digital sender and I get a "Network Access Failure" error message on my pc when I try to create the "HP 9100C Login with the HP software. Any thoughts?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-bought-a-used-hp-9100c-digital-sender-and-i-get-a-network-access-failure.167938/
Relevancy 24.94%

DMA is enabled...

The sound is synced to the voices, but the music seems to be playing slowly. Like in slow motion.

Have tried playing with several different audio players... VLC (VLC default codecs) and k-lite codecs as well...

Any suggestions?

Thanks much..

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/voices-fine-but-music-playing-in-slow-motion-during-dvd-playback.167687/
Relevancy 27.52%

Do they require much setup or just plug in and it auto connects to your network and starts backing up files?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-a-western-digital-my-book-live-easy-to-use.166702/
Relevancy 29.67%

I recently purchased a Sapphire Radeon HD and found out when it arrived that it was much larger than the picture showed We are upgrading all the pc s in my house and changing around monitors Were using inch hd tv s with HDMI inputs as computer monitors but me and my roomate switched sets When i installed my new video card into my pc eVGA P the card overlaps the sata ports to the HDD To resolve this i moved both HDD s one port back so theres nothing in sata stacked Double too video card large port primary HDD in sata port and slave in sata port When i turn the computer on it fires up but gives me a series of Double stacked video card too large beeps im unfamiliar with and then the normal beeps as if it is continuing to boot normally but i have no picture and the television says quot No Signal quot Im not at home atm but i will be later and can get specs for anything requested As far as i can remember i tried HDMI on both my tv s channels and its DVI-D dual i think but it may have been a DVI-I Either way no picture I know theres a multitude of things that can cause this but i was wondering what would be the most fruitful attempt at fixing this Basically Double stacked video card too large my question in a nutshell Can i put my primary HDD in Sata Port with no problems Does it matter which slot i put my video card in on a crossfire board if im only using one card What are the most likely causes of the video card not working Heres all ive tried im working on other pc s so i havent spent to much time on it Moved Sata connections one slot back and tried videocard in primary pci-e slot Same as above but with both an HDMI monitor and DVI monitor simultaneously Moved Sata connections to original configuration and video card into secondary PCI-e port with both monitors attached Tried moving to different HDMI port and channels on television I know that when i originally setup my HD tv i had to connect to a CRT monitor then tell it from that monitor to send image to my HD tv but that was a different video card i really am bad with this kind of stuff and id say im still novice on computer hardware any help would be super always is from techspot staff and members nbsp

A:Double stacked video card too large

Try clearing CMOS (reset your BIOS).

First unplug the PC; If your motherboard has a CMOS jumper, you can switch it to "CLR" for a few seconds, otherwise and remove the CMOS battery for about a minute. Now move the jumper back to normal (or replace the battery) and turn your PC on. Hopefully it will boot up normally.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/double-stacked-video-card-too-large.166551/
Relevancy 27.52%

So I have a month old WD passport gb external usb hd I have it partitioned into an ntfs and fat partitions I Western recognized not Digital Passport plugged the hd into an internet cafes computer and it didn t recognise Since then no computers will recognise the hd I have tried several recovery software including the wd own software Also tried a different shorter cable The light starts up as normal and the hd doesn Western Digital Passport not recognized t make any unusual noises but after a second Western Digital Passport not recognized or the light goes dim like there is no activity inside I also tried chkdisk from command and still nothing If I could just get the hd to show up maybe I can use these recovery programs to recover data Even if I lost the data and just got to use my hd again I would be happy Any ideas from anyone would be HUGELY appreciated I have spent hours on google trying to find a solution short of sending it away for repair which would cost more than its worth Also heard a trick of putting it in the freezer but I m not sure about any of this Thanks for reading nbsp

A:Western Digital Passport not recognized

Anyone had this happen before?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/western-digital-passport-not-recognized.165916/
Relevancy 27.52%

I am coming to my TechSpot family for some advice I realize that this may not be the realm of experience for the majority of us due to the nature of the specific need but I decided to give it a shot Long story short My son will be entering community college this fall and will be pursuing an A A degree in Digital Design and then move on to a year institution he has been accepted into Drexel University in Philadelphia but my wife and I don t have thousand The core courses he will be doing are Color amp D Design Graphic Design Art with Computers Web Graphics amp Digital laptop? desktop or degree: design Animation and Digital design degree: desktop or laptop? Web Page Design I do know he must Digital design degree: desktop or laptop? have access to Adobe Flash CS and there will be animation software involved but I have not been able to find out anything else -- I ve tried I doubt Digital design degree: desktop or laptop? he ll be doing D Rendering during this time and even if he does the college s systems will have to do So it looks like he will mostly be doing D Illustration Animation I am going back and forth of a either building a good solid home system his current one is a year old socket with an Athlon single core cpu and XP Pro and getting him a mid-range laptop OR b putting the money into a laptop with an i processor - gigs of RAM and a dedicated card In my opinion Option A makes more sense because I will build in order to upgrade as needed but as my son has pointed out to me that in two years he will be moving on and dorm life isn t actually ideal for a PC system whereas a laptop would be The problem with the latter is that no matter how powerful a current laptop is the ability to upgrade is much easier with a PC system Also laptops can get stolen much easier plus repairing a desktop is something I can do It may sound like I have my mind up but I don t Thoughts please and recommend me some hardware I have no budget in mind at this point but I am thinking even a mid-range desktop would more than suffice Thanks nbsp

A:Digital design degree: desktop or laptop?

Well, for digital imaging you really should have an IPS monitor. That said, unless you're going to spring for a Macbook Pro, I don't definitely know what other lappies have them.

Other than that, I was in Phila Community College a few years back, and one of the security guards was robbing high end photo imaging and computer equipment from the labs. Maybe your area, has a better class of individual.

The school terminals left something to be desired also, can't speak to nowadays though.

Personally, I wouldn't spend more for a laptop than I could afford to lose. But, I have the luxury of not even really needing the $300.00 Celeron laptop I have. That sort of nulls the validity of my opinion.

Anyway, if you decide to go for a home machine, look at the Intel Core i5-2500 as a basis. PC World Magazine tested a couple of souped up desktops with that CPU. They turned in "World Bench" scores of over 200!

(Granted you have to have been following "World Bench" test scores for a while to have the s*** impressed out of you like I did.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/digital-design-degree-desktop-or-laptop.164578/
Relevancy 27.52%

ok, my hard drive is a caviar black 1tb, (WD1001FALS) , its like less than one and a half years old ,today my coomputer started freezing momentarily, i tested the hard drive and turns out it has some bad sectors...HD tune benchmark fails, WD Diagnostics utility fails during diagnostics...: heres screenshots of HD Tune:

so how can i fix this? i did some googling, turns out that the drives controller shouldve done it automatically and transparently ....well it didnt, so what do i do?

A:Bad sector on Western Digital Caviar Black

Time for a new drive. I've been where you are now. There are times when diagnostics can fix certain sector issues, but like you I have had to get a replacement because it was beyond the drive's controller to rectify the problem.

A shame for you because the WD Caviar Blacks are some of their best.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bad-sector-on-western-digital-caviar-black.165128/
Relevancy 27.52%

Hello,

My wife dropped my brand new External WD HDD and it won't work.
I tried it on my Vista laptop and my Win7 Desktop.
In both computers the HDD will increase the booting time by 7-12 minutes and the HDD is detected, BUT it can not be opened/seen with the windows explorer.
It is 1.5TB in size and right now I am using HHD Regenerator with a bootable CD to recover the disk. The thing is that it has been 10 hours and only 0.04% of the disk has been scanned...1028MB to be precise and it keeps findings "bad sectors". I have like 2.100.000 bad sectors detected...at this rate it will take like 20 days to finish the scan...why is it taking so long???
Pls help, I need to rescue some info from that HDD.

Thanks in advance,

Jose...

A:My external Western Digital HDD is not recognized

Personally in my line of work, I've had to recover a lot of failing hard drives, but never did I have to recover one that had been dropped, that's a new one for me. I have heard, but never used, that program you speak of. I myself try to do my best to transfer information on a "going out" hard drive to another, rather than try and "regenerate" one.

Now mind you, the hard drive has been dropped, if dropped upon a carpeted floor, you may have a chance! Dropped upon a hard wood floor or tile floor and linoleum flooring, you most likely are out of luck.

If you can you should try and find yourself a spare hard drive, hook it up to your system and try running a program called "Drive Copy"! Might have better luck to just copy the hard drive, as it is now. Then worry about reforming or regenerating a hard drive.

And if all else fails, you said two key words in your post, which were brand new, you said the drive is brand new, so if you got the original packaging, sometimes not required, and you still have the sales slip, package all that together, and get yourself back to the store and get another new external hard drive.

"Seriously Mr. or Mrs. or Ms. salesperson, the drive just wont work, I can only wonder why" :rolleyes:

Good luck to you..............

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-external-western-digital-hdd-is-not-recognized.164983/
Relevancy 29.24%

My computer currently has an AMD V140 processor (Single Core) that runs at 25 Watts. I want to upgrade it to a Turion II (Dual core) that runs at 35 Watts. I want to know if this will be a problem especially since I am running a Toshiba, Which are known to run a little on the hot side to start with

A:AMD processor upgrade - large wattage change question

Have you checked that the motherboard is compatible with a dual core processor. An additional 10 Watts should not be a problem but the extra heat might be although that may be overcome by using a cooling pad.

What is the model of the PC.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/amd-processor-upgrade-large-wattage-change-question.164027/
Relevancy 27.52%

Hello I have a pretty weak Dell E specs that I have hooked up to my quot LG HDTV as a monitor and I use it for watching hulu you tube videos etc I am working with Windows XP -bit I realize it s not the best setup but I ve been making do with it for my quot media center cable Please digital help with from recording video quot I also have Time Warner Digital cable service that runs to my TV via HDMI I am looking to find a way to record shows from the cable box onto my PC for later viewing and I m not sure how to approach or if I have a good enough system to attempt I also Please help with video recording from digital cable have a MSI Core Duo P GHz quot Wide XGA GB Memory DDR GB HDD DVD Please help with video recording from digital cable Super Multi ATI Mobility Radeon HD that could be used as well I ve been looking at a couple of PCI x DVR recorder cards from newegg In specific I ve been looking at this AVerMedia card and this Hauppauge WinTV HVR- card but I m not sure if my system is stout enough to run either of these cards or if they will serve my purpose I would be willing to use my laptop if this was a better possibility as well I m not completely concerned with HD capabilities but would really like to record shows etc while I m away and don t want to have to pay the monthly service to Time Warner for their DVR recorder services Could anyone please provide any insight on how to approach or what is my most manageable option to work with using the systems I have Thanks in advance nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/please-help-with-video-recording-from-digital-cable.163550/
Relevancy 27.52%

I ve had this problem for a while now I have absolutely no idea what s causing it At first it was occasional then it increased in frequency and now it s all it does I m at a point where I can t even use my home computer When I start my pc everything sounds like it s working fine All fans run video card fires up no strange noises But nothing ever comes up on my monitor It stays black with a sign in the upper left corner that flashes between Analog and Digital It does that for a few seconds then it goes completely black and the power button flashes like it s in sleep mode switches and between Digital My while black monitor Analog I recently replaced my motherboard with a new one same board just new also replaced my processor last night Still the same issue Here s my list of hardware running Windows Vista -bit Motherboard - Asus M A-VM AM new Processor - AMD Athlon x new Video Card - nVidia GeForce GX Memory - x G Skill Pin DDR gb gb total Monitor - Samsung monitor Any My monitor switches between Analog and Digital while black help on this issue would be much appreciated I ve been struggling with it for months it would be nice to not think about it anymore lol nbsp

A:My monitor switches between Analog and Digital while black

What model Samsung monitor do you have? I had one of their 22-inch Touch of Color monitors a few years ago and it gave some problems.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-monitor-switches-between-analog-and-digital-while-black.163274/
Relevancy 29.67%

Okay, soo my computer's memory is full and I want to clean it out. I was wondering if it's possible to export my itunes library on a 1TB external hard drive, delete all the music off the computer than be able to sync my ipod while my hard drive is plugged in. Thanks

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/exporting-itunes-library-to-external-hard-drive.163025/
Relevancy 25.8%

I have a Dell Inspiron 530 with vista and every time i try to play a song from my external hdd i get an error message that says "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Set associations control panel.

A:Unable to play music from external HDD

This is the normal instruction for setting up a file association.

1. Open Default Programs by clicking the Start button, typing "default programs" and then clicking Default Programs in the pop up list.
2. Click on Associate a file type or protocol with a program.
This opens a list of extensions.
3. Choose the extension of the files that you wish to open then click on change program button.
4. Select the program you wish to associate the file with and click Ok.

If you have already done this try right clicking on the file and selecting open with then choose the player.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unable-to-play-music-from-external-hdd.162582/
Relevancy 27.52%

I have windows XP service pack 3 and my 1tb western digital hard drive is no longer showing up. I have had the drive for over a year and it was working fine until the other day when i plugged it in and the drive didnt show up in my computer. It shows up under device management but not under disc management so i can't assign it a letter. I have tried Easeus but it wont run on the drive.
Also i cannot start my computer with the drive plugged in, it gets to the boot screen and makes a click and restarts

A:Western Digital drive not showing up in My Computer

It's not completely clear if this is an external drive since an internal drive can be "plugged in" too so to speak. Anyway, let's presume it's an external drive. I'd say either the enclosure has failed or the hard drive itself has.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/western-digital-drive-not-showing-up-in-my-computer.162595/
Relevancy 29.24%

I want to build a large network, I will start with 50TB will upgrade later on, what storage system do I need and what connection do I need. please provide me with links and Ref. which data centre do you prefer in the UK/Manchester, how many servers and routers, if you have an idea please design me a network.

A:How to build a large storage network such as RapidShare or MegaUpload?

This is sort of a big task to plan on a forum...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-build-a-large-storage-network-such-as-rapidshare-or-megaupload.161814/
Relevancy 25.37%

I purchased a refurbished HP blank DVD-R on music not 11 Windows Player will Media burn DC Core Windows Media Player 11 will not burn music on blank DVD-R Duo E GHz with a DVD -RW drive I am able to write music to a blank DVD-R using ImgBurn but Windows Media Player and will only write to a blank CD-R It will playback the DVD-R that I create on ImgBurn The DVD Device is HL-DT-ST Windows Media Player 11 will not burn music on blank DVD-R DVD RAM GH L The Operating System is XP Pro I had to purchase a DVD Decoder from Roxio in order to play a DVD movie in Windows Windows Media Player 11 will not burn music on blank DVD-R Media Player Is there something else that I need to purchase to write music on a blank DVD-R Or is there some setting that needs to be changed Someone suggested that WMP does not write to DVD-Rs but I have WMP on a PC with Vista and it writes to a blank DVD-R with no problem I wrote to the DVD-R on the Vista PC and I was able to read it on the XP Pro PC I just cannot write it on the XP Pro According to Microsoft WMP is supposed to write an audio file to a Data Disk nbsp

A:Windows Media Player 11 will not burn music on blank DVD-R

1. I would check current firmware version for the DVD and look for a firmware update
> Use Nero Infotool to see current drive info incl. firmversion and look if updates available

2. See if this might apply CD/DVD or Disk Problems? How to Fix Problems Caused by Filters

3. You might also try a DVD+R disc

/* EDIT */
Oh! i also just noticed you posted in the Introduce Yourself forum. Next time please post in the forum for topic

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-media-player-11-will-not-burn-music-on-blank-dvd-r.160814/
Relevancy 27.52%

Okay, i have a western digital my passport hard drive that i got back in august of 2009. so like a year and a half years old. well approximately 4 months ago all of a sudden it would start, windows would connect to it, then you would hear "click" and it would restart. and the process would repeat and repeat. then i've realized that it was the power, is there something i can modify in windows to fix this?

A:Western Digital My Passport won't start

Ah, clicking sounds from HDDs often are indicative that it has bit the dust. I'm rather confused what was meant by "... then I realized that it was the power,"

Do you have another computer you could plug the drive into to see if it works?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/western-digital-my-passport-wont-start.159532/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hi to all (and happy new year!)

I want to buy a 2.5" external drive, but as you can imagine i don't know which one.
I have already opened a thread like this in tom's hardware:

[ I can't post the link due to rules, please google username gouzou in tomshardware to find the thread ]

but i wanted more like a debate on this matter.

The competitors are:
1) WD my passport Elite 5400rpm, 750gb
2) Seagate Goflex Pro 7200rpm, 500gb
3) Samsung S2 HX-MTA64DA, 7200rpm(i think..), 640gb

WD and Seagate come in same price, Samsung $20 more.
Please consider rpms, density of data, reliability and only usb3.0 or esata for your verdict.

I mainly want the drive to have high write rate.

A:Western Digital vs Seagate vs Samsung External 2.5"

Well for the start all those have preloaded software on them, if you like them or no thats up to you (for backing up your media).

the Seagate Goflex Pr haves some nice features, but only if you have a device to use it, ill say its between the WD and the Samsung, obviusly the Samsung will be faster but the WD haves 90Gigs more,its up to you if you want more speed or those 90Gigs more.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/western-digital-vs-seagate-vs-samsung-external-2-5.159325/
Relevancy 29.24%

Hello
I have mountains of VCR tapes and 100's of DVR events i need to record onto a Mac computer. The process i am using right now is sooooo time consuming, is there anyway to speed up the process? Here's the thing, I work for a football service where we analyze game film to rate players for the upcoming season. I record 75% of the game played this year. My boss is soo old-fashioned for the longest time refused to go to DVD recorders/DVR and now wants the games at the push of a button on a server. I've spent the last month trying everything and i am frustrated. IS Anybody out There!!!

A:Recording large video files & storing onto server

How are the raw inputs from the carmera recorded (aka what format or the .extension)
and what format do you desire to put on the server? These choices CAN make the world of difference

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/recording-large-video-files-storing-onto-server.159321/
Relevancy 29.67%

on two different computers i installed this radeon 9200 video card and after intsalling driver either from the disk or the web the image becomes to large for the moniter i tried all display settings in xp and in ati program so far nothing worked,tried different drivers,moniter settings,updates,changed memory,wondering is this a card just gone bad

A:Display too large for screen ATI Radeon 9200

i figured it out ,re installed driver with complete ati program,went to advanced user settings and changed moniter settings,works fine

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/display-too-large-for-screen-ati-radeon-9200.157984/
Relevancy 24.94%

Hi (budgeted) from music a Recommendations new recording building scratch computer for I would like to put together a computer with these software requirements in mind for reason record Intel P AMD Athlon XP at GHz or better multiple cores highly recommended GB RAM or more DVD drive GB free hard disk space Record may use up to GB cache disk space Windows XP SP Vista or later I currently have XP and would do Windows but I really don t care for Vista please don t figure in to the total and yes I will be getting a legal copy I would like to go the cheapest route Recommendations building a new (budgeted) computer from scratch for recording music which I imagine would be building from scratch If I can stay under dollars that s Recommendations building a new (budgeted) computer from scratch for recording music be best although spending a little more for a really nice system that will be good for a few years is favorable I found this as a starting point and would like to know the thoughts from the inside The only additional information I have is I have TB s that are waiting for a home Recommendations building a new (budgeted) computer from scratch for recording music so I m not worried about storage and also the quieter the better as everything helps while recording Thank you very much in advance - Dinvex nbsp

A:Recommendations building a new (budgeted) computer from scratch for recording music

You can do better with your budget. I recommend this:

AMD Athlon II X2 245 Regor 2.9GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor - $57.99 + free shipping
GIGABYTE GA-MA74GM-S2 AM3\AM2+\AM2 AMD 740G mATX AMD Motherboard - $53.99 ($51.99 with M-Club discount) + variable shipping depending on location
OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit - $75.99 + $0.99 shipping
NZXT Beta EVO Chassis - CS-NT-BETA-EVO - $53.99 + free shipping
SeaSonic SS-300ET Bronze 300W ATX12V V2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - OEM - $39.99 + $8.57 shipping
ASUS Xonar DX PCI-E Sound Card - $79.99 ($59.99 after $20 MIR) + free shipping
Grand Total = ~$380, not considering rebates.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/recommendations-building-a-new-budgeted-computer-from-scratch-for-recording-music.154550/
Relevancy 26.66%

For a while now, I've been curious to know what the differences are in the Western Digital Caviar Series.
So far as I know, Black is high performance, Green is eco-friendly and slow, but I'm not sure what the Blue series has to offer, other than a lower price tag.
Can anyone clearify what the techinical differences are between Black and Blue? For high performace reasons, I bought the Black series for my tower, but what would I have been missing out on had I gone for the Blue series?

Thanks in advance.

A:Western Digital hard drives: The differences between Black and Blue Series

In theory, the Black is supposed to be the faster drive. In actuality, there isn't much between them. Speed rather depends on platter size and cache - The Black drives are either 32 or 64Mb cache, while the Blue drives top out at 32Mb.
Black drives carry a five year warranty, while Blue drives are three years which is probably of more significance.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/western-digital-hard-drives-the-differences-between-black-and-blue-series.155690/
Relevancy 25.8%

i was watching some videos online and i tried to mute sounds from all the other stuff i was using at the tim and now i go back to my spotify and its says it cant play music because there is a problem with the sound card what do i do?

A:Spotify won't play music because of a problem with my sound?

Can you take a screen shot of the actual error message and post it? You might just have to re-install the sound card driver, but who knows you haven't given enough info yet to give you a good answer.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/spotify-wont-play-music-because-of-a-problem-with-my-sound.155625/
Relevancy 27.95%

my digital audio player has a folder name found.000, it is only visible in my dap. how can i delete this folder?

A:Digital audio player

i think it's the chkdsk recovery folder. you can usually view this folder by enabling "show all hidden files and folders" in folder options (control panel). or just format the drive and re-transfer all the music back in.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/digital-audio-player.154693/
Relevancy 27.52%

ok, so i have a 640GB WESTERN DIGITAL EXTERNAL ELEMENTS HARD DRIVE, the computer (running 32-bit windows 7 home premium) recognises it with the "du-du" sound when it is plugged in, BUT. wond tecognise it in "My computer" it shows up in the "device management list" but i cannot Manualy change the drive letter, the option isnt even there. i want the data off of it, it is not under warranty. anybody have any ideas for me to try?

A:Western Digital external drive not recognized

Was it previously recognised, but won't now?

Some more information about how it happened would be handy, as that will help diagnose any problems.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/western-digital-external-drive-not-recognized.152852/
Relevancy 27.52%

I really need some good technical help I have many important files from work on my Western Digital TB External HD model WD H U- purchase months ago It is connected to my Toshiba Satellite L laptop -bit OS I was satisfied by the external HD and purchase a second one external Digital Western malfunction 1TB HD TB - model WDBAAF HBK-NESN days Western Digital 1TB external HD malfunction ago I began to Western Digital 1TB external HD malfunction transfer large files form my original TB to my TB for permanent records The USB connector was accidentally detached during transfer and now all my Western Digital 1TB external HD malfunction original on the TB model files will not open Files that transferred are fine But many others are not not opening Original folder names are intact albeit sub-folders and any contents therein have strange marking not original names I tried quot Restore Previous Version quot option and it did not give me a choice option to restore from I ran quot Error Checking quot and it did nothing I ran quot Defragmentation quot and it also did nothing Now each time I try to open the folders I cannot see contents and I am getting the OPEN WITH PROGRAM window as if the file extensions were lost Which is strange because all contents are different types of files such as word excell pictures movies etc So I cannot really choose an OPEN WITH option Files seem to still be in the HD as it shows GB free and GB used HELP How do I recover my files I really need help this is vital information I just cannot lose Please someone help me nbsp

A:Western Digital 1TB external HD malfunction

First Rule is to Copy and Paste and then Delete.
having said that you probably need a recovery software. I haven't used Recuva, but it gets good reviews and believe is free.
I have had good success recovery jpegs (my wedding pictures actually) from a formatted and reinstalled OS using Active Undelete. http://www.active-undelete.com/
Highly recommended.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/western-digital-1tb-external-hd-malfunction.152444/
Relevancy 29.24%

I d posted in another part of techspot about a problem that it finally turned out was a slowly very slowly dying hard disk that I d had as my D drive for data and documents etc on an XP SP system gig memory Pentium GHz Not wanting to again be so vulnerable to losing my data I thought I d try a RAID configuration I went cheap yes in event viewer errors on copies RAID large and often a mistake I know with an Addonics ADSA PCI controller card that supported software RAID Once I got past the bad documentation - the installation guide started with the driver installation then the next step said quot do this part first if you re configuring RAID RAID errors on large copies and in event viewer quot and described a procedure where several things were to be installed BEFORE the card was - things never really got going smoothly I got RAID running and thought that for sake of ease I d just copy my data roughly gigs from the single drive that had it to the new RAID setup The old drive I had relettered to Q and the new array was D this was done before I configured RAID and formatted the new drives So I went to Q and selected all highlighting all top-level files and folders and their subcontents copied then went to D and pasted Every time I tried this within - minutes I d have a BSOD either a kernel stack or a kernel data inpage error The time it seemed to work best I d moved about gigs in some files So is that a problem with the RAID or with Windows and its copy function Obviously I don t typically copy that much data using copy and paste but I ve done it before without problems Ultimately I used an image of my data and restored that image onto D and all worked well And the computer has been stable now for almost hours since all this happened There ve been two exceptions One was that twice on restart XP has launched chkdsk on C my boot drive not the RAIDed data drive The first time this happened I d had to do a force restart after a lockup on a mass copy attempt so I could have accepted this becuase of the abnormal ending The second time though was after a smooth Windows restart that I did when installing some Windows updates a NET service pack that had been pushed to me after I had to install NET as part of the required RAID utility package that came with the controller card Since I m almost never asked to run chkdsk and when I am I usually understand why this bothers me The other is that I have gotten several event viewer errors related to the new RAID array A few were at a time when I had restarted Windows smooth and normal Windows restart and it went to the login screen fine and stayed that way overnight Others have occurred invisible to me when I m on the PC Here s the most recent one Event Type Error Event Source SiSRaid Event Category None Event ID Date Time PM User N A Computer XP Description The device Device Scsi SiSRaid did not respond within the timeout period For more information see Help and Support Center at http go microsoft com fwlink events asp Data f h c a Is this stuff normal Should I be worried Pre-RAID I d go weeks usually but often months with no errors ever in my event viewer nbsp

A:RAID errors on large copies and in event viewer

So I went to Q:\ and selected all (highlighting all top-level files and folders, and their subcontents), copied, then went to D:\ and pasted.Click to expand...

Ouch! The technique of copy/paste is more likely to cause issues than anything else, especially on large size transfers.

Empty the Raid target
Select the top-level-folders
drag-n-drop onto the Raid Drive letter

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/raid-errors-on-large-copies-and-in-event-viewer.151764/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hi I'm running vista 64, home premium and have recently purchased a WD 1TB network drive.

Now everytime I go to restart, put my computer into sleep or hibernate mode it hangs at the shutdown screen in vista. Only when I disconnect the external HDD and turn it off does my computer go back to normal.

I checked the removal policy from the HDD under the device manager and optimized for performance is checked. I can't get access to change it to optimize for quick removal. Does anyone know how to change the removal policy so it doesn't cause vista to hang?

Or does anyone know what might be causing this?

A:Western Digital My Book 1TB Network HDD- hangs on shutdown

It is probably a good idea to shut down the HDD before shutting down the computer. It sounds like the drive is "writing back" how have you got your back-up settings? Auto Backup write\save to the WD 1Tb? There may be a way to hang-up the HDD on shut down/hibernate but this may corrupt it! in "Computer Management" - "Services and Applications" - "Services" but I don't have an external or WD drive so cannot get you any closer to this action --which I don't recommend anyway. Is there any info on the HDD enclosure\docking station at the manufacturer site?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/western-digital-my-book-1tb-network-hdd-hangs-on-shutdown.147950/
Relevancy 26.66%

I have been using this WD hard drive TB for several months now without problems Western Format Digital Hard please External error, Drive help My main computer crashed with a little help from my fists now I am trying to rebuild an older computer it was partitioned i guess with both Linxus and DOS and the program files and all my original computer back up folders videos and pics are stored on my external harddrive When I plugged it into the DOS computer it does have windows XP but an error messgae popped up stating the e drive needed to be formatted I had never seen this error messgae and did not format the drive but it wouoldn t allow me to access the drive I tried again after re booting the computer and I wasn t sure what the formatting involved so I Western Digital External Hard Drive Format error, please help hit YES a WARNING message popped up telling me all my files would be erased if I formatted and I immediately hit NO and unpllugged my drive Now I can t see any files on the drive although it recognizes it on other computers it will not show the space capicity or free space and it says it in NTFS format Did me plugging this drive into a DOS computer change the settings somehow from FAT to NTFS and if so How do I save my files I did not format it so I don t believe the files have been erased or it should show the free space as TB right PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE I will die if I lost all thiese files nbsp

A:Western Digital External Hard Drive Format error, please help

Hive info on the HDD is protected. Missing drive info? That's why your getting that error message to format it but you don't. What OS did you have prior?

See this link from MS for the fix using chkdsk /p
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/156640

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/western-digital-external-hard-drive-format-error-please-help.145999/
Relevancy 30.1%

Hi Guys I m pretty new to server builds but need to create a system that storage build Large 'server' will be able Large storage 'server' build to record HD video streams fps I have created x specs for the machine and could do with a few bits of advice a Will this motherboard CPU handle it Intel DX SO ATX Desktop Motherboard Intel Core i - E Processor M Cache GHz b My Chassis has x quot Drive bays in blocks of connection per row of HD s I obviously need some sort of HD controller to write to the TB drives i m going to house My NVR software allows me to prioritise which HD i write to in which order - as long as it can see the HD s I don t want it mirrored in RAID or anything but i guess i will need a RAID controller of some type to connect and view the drives Any ideas if or how or what i can get to do this without setting it to a particular RAID Your suggestions on this build will be great even if they go beyond the initial question i m pretty novice Thanks Rob nbsp

A:Large storage 'server' build

Server OS which one? Windows or Linux? If you use Windows Server 2008 Enterprise it supports Multi-core. Are you getting real server blade or server or workstation?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/large-storage-server-build.147344/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hello everyone,

I have a WD 120GB external hard drive that is not being recognized by my computer anymore. It just stopped working.

When I plug the USB cable in, I get the following message - USB Device Not Recognized. One of the USB device attached to this computer has malfunctioned.

Also, I have right-clicked on my computer and then the Manage option, and under Disk Management, I do not see the drive.

I have all of my sports games and music on the drive. I just need some help on how to recover the data on my drive if my drive is corrupt which it looks like it is now.

A:Western Digital external hard drive problem

USB device (particularly a drive) not recognized can be a USB power issue

Are you plugging into a laptop or desktop?
Does the drive have it's own power cord? Is it plugged in?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/western-digital-external-hard-drive-problem.146644/
Relevancy 27.52%

I ve looked through the forums and I ve seen several threads that address this issue but mine seems to be unique since the answers that worked for everyone else don Digital my Western book installation t work for me I hooked my new WD My Book Pro up to my PC but I can t get it Western Digital my book installation to show up anywhere that I can use it I shows up in my device manager and it also installed the WD Button in my task bar but when I left click on it the drive is grayed out I looked in my Disk Management section and it s not listed there I even did a hardware scan just in case There are a couple of things I noticed in my Device Manager First my C drive is located at and my nd internal drive D is located at My MyBook is located at Location Could it be interfering with my C drive somehow Do I need to mess with jumper settings on my SATA internal drives Second is when I click on properties for my MyBook then to the Volumes tab and hit populate I get the error quot VOLUME INFORMATION CANNOT BE FOUND THIS MAY HAPPEN IF THE DISK IS A OR ON A WIN MACHINE quot I am running WinXP Pro on a Dell E ANY help would be greatly appreciated Thanks in advance I have screenshots if you need them I just can t post them yet since I m a n b nbsp

A:Western Digital my book installation

It could be defective. Try it in another PC.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/western-digital-my-book-installation.145578/
Relevancy 25.8%

Music visualizer for media players

Any one have any preferences or suggestions for a good one of these. I have had a look at WhiteCap but wondered what else there was out there that was as good or maybe even better?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/music-visualizer-for-media-players.146080/
Relevancy 27.52%

Am I mistaken in believing that both the 24 pin conn and the 8 pin 12v connector need to be plugged in at all times in order for the tester to function?
For example, if testing a PCIE connector, would you have 3 connectors plugged-in or two?

A:Antec Digital PSU Tester confusion

Can you link us to your tester?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/antec-digital-psu-tester-confusion.145871/
Relevancy 25.8%

I have a budget of 500-550. The purpose for this computer is for music production. Ill be using cu base 5, ill be using vsti such as east west, toon track superior drummer,trillian etc. (To give you guys more of a visual) Ill be running windows 7 ultimate 64 bit.
Tomorrow ill look around for parts, prices, I just realize am better off of building my own unit.

As far as the mobo goes. I would like to get .....
500 gig hard drive
Graphics card. (I won't be doing any gaming, cheap one will be neat)
Motherboard (i need fire wire on it)
RAM (4-gigs) ddr2
Case (i need a case with good air flow)

Any suggestions , references....

A:Building Music Production Computer

Rock4MUSIC said:

I have a budget of 500-550. The purpose for this computer is for music production. Ill be using cu base 5, ill be using vsti such as east west, toon track superior drummer,trillian etc. (To give you guys more of a visual) Ill be running windows 7 ultimate 64 bit.
Tomorrow ill look around for parts, prices, I just realize am better off of building my own unit.

As far as the mobo goes. I would like to get .....
500 gig hard drive
Graphics card. (I won't be doing any gaming, cheap one will be neat)
Motherboard (i need fire wire on it)
RAM (4-gigs) ddr2
Case (i need a case with good air flow)

Any suggestions , references....Click to expand...

I'm thinking that without gaming ambitions, the new Intel core i3 CPUs might meet your needs with their integrated graphics. These give pretty decent scores in
the Windows Experience Index, something like 4.9 for Areo, and 5.3 for business and gaming graphics. To the best of my knowledge, the matching H55/ H57 Intel chipset motherboards provide Fire Wire input.

You should first subscribe to Newegg's Email list, so you can grab your parts as they become available on sale.

Here is Intel's list of socket LGA1156 CPUs available at Newegg; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...=2010340343 50001157 1051749233&name=LGA 1156

And the matching integrated graphics H55/ H57 boards in the Gigabyte brand; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...01314 1070549182 107173338&name=Intel H55/H57 Be sure to pick one with 4 memory sockets. (4 out or 5 do). I have this one; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128421

Please pay no attention to the bad reviews for this product, they were all written by imbeciles claiming, "high technical ability". I don't know squat about computers, and I had one of these systems up and running perfectly, with Windows 7 installed, in about 3 hours.

In fact, I'm hoping Newegg will offer "don't know squat" as a technical ability claim option. That way, I'll be able to check, "don't know squat", and report, "it works perfectly for me, 5 stars"!

Here is a test report done on a few of these boards at Techspot; http://www.techspot.com/review/259-intel-h55-motherboard-shootout/

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/building-music-production-computer.145280/
Relevancy 21.93%

I have a new-to-me desktop dell pentium windows xp pro SP dvd player tsst corp cdrwdvd ts-h no player music Dvd sound movie a cd, a with sound with has b also has samsung cd-rom sc- c software avast free malwarebytes spybot s d scan only spywareblaster currently off spywareguard currently off zonealarm free firewall hi techspot i am trying to solve another problem over Dvd player has sound with a music cd, no sound with a movie at bleeping computer having to do with streaming video on this computer i read about you--you were highly recommended for someone with a driver-related problem which this may be in trying to figure out my streaming video problem i tried out the cd player and the dvd player today for the first time the cd player works fine except sound is weak even at Dvd player has sound with a music cd, no sound with a movie top settings dvd player has pretty much the same sound as the cd player with a cd in it that is weakish sound When I put in a movie there is beautiful video but zero sound I tried a few different movies to make sure of the problerm other info default media player is wmp a former user seems to have used powerdvd i can play a movie using either wmp or powerdvd Neither have any sound i am happy to add new drivers etc but will need help Not sure if related to streaming video problem shuts down browsers explorer and firefox for you-tube and hulu as soon as video loads some short commercials ok video and sound appreciate ideas thanks wannabegeek nbsp

A:Dvd player has sound with a music cd, no sound with a movie

Sounds like you are missing some sound codecs, at the very least. Luckily Techspot can provide them for you...
http://www.techspot.com/downloads/615-klite-mega-codec-pack.html

Hope this solves your problem.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dvd-player-has-sound-with-a-music-cd-no-sound-with-a-movie.144849/
Relevancy 27.95%

Such a simple question, but Google just isn't doing the trick.

Is there anyway for me to use Analog and Digital(optical) sound outputs at once.

For instance, a while ago I could plug in 3 different audio devices through the 1/8" audio cable in the back. Ofcourse, it was all analog then. Now I'm wondering if I could have the Digital(optical) going to my HDTV(HDCP) while having the Analog going to my computer speakers and my stereo.

Note: I'm trying to do this on Windows 7 Ult dispite what the computer specs say.

A:Digital and Analog sounds

the GA-P35-DS3L uses the Realtek ALC888 Audio controller, it should work just fine but i cant test this to make sure

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/digital-and-analog-sounds.142097/
Relevancy 27.95%

Can anyone explain why some audio cd's, newly recorded from vinyl 33's, aren't finalizing? They seem to be recording, but after the Finalize command no fin-D shows up .
Thanks.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/digital-audio-cds-not-finalizing.141791/
Relevancy 26.23%

My favorite music player is "Winamp Media Player"

1. Flash Music Player
2. sidebar music players
3. RealPlayer 10

What is your favorite music player?

A:Favorite music player?

i just use itunes, since most of the time I only want to have the music playing the bacground, i don't really care for the download options that it gives or the visualizer.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/favorite-music-player.141715/
Relevancy 25.8%

I have a strange experience with sounds lately I have no come background games of music sound How some different? idea why this happening or what is causing it but here it is How come some background music of games sound different? One day I was doing some light gaming on both my tower and laptop since both my computers meets the minimum requirements and while playing this game I heard some unusual sounds on both How come some background music of games sound different? my laptop and tower my laptop while playing the background music of the game seemed to be missing a couple or not few sound types in the game On my tower it sounded like it had an extra beat as if I could here that extra sound s with the background music playing I can t explain real good but to simplify this my laptop seemed to be lacking of some melody beats while my tower has it all and slightly deeper bass I turned my laptop speakers high yet no extra melody beat appeared I How come some background music of games sound different? did the same with the tower sounded the same as before but just louder I am sure I installed this game on both my computer successfully with no errors I reinstalled it again and same problem occurred I don t understand is the speakers more sensitive on the tower and giving it more variety of sounds or is the laptop speakers not so sensitive in outputting more variety of sounds Or both are wrong and it is just the matter of XP and VISTA or is it the software or drivers installed for the sounds Is something wrong with the speakers Do I need buy better ones Ones that s suppose to act normal nbsp

A:How come some background music of games sound different?

try updating your sound drivers first, then you might want to look into past problems others might have had with this games sound. Since this happened to both your computers at the same time it sounds like the problem is the game.

A simple test to see if your speakers are broke is just...play music on them. Does it sound fine? yes? then it's not your speakers

unfortunatly without knowing what game it is that you are talking about I can't really look into any problems others have had with it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-come-some-background-music-of-games-sound-different.140704/
Relevancy 27.52%

I recently purchased a TB Western Digital MyBook external hard drive The device turns on just fine displaying a light blue oval shape on the front of it Although when i try to move files onto the drive the amount of free space goes down Digital malfunctioning MyBook external HD Western but the files do not show up in the drive There are no sub-folders only one central folder where i tried to move the files I have quot show hidden files and folders Western Digital MyBook external HD malfunctioning quot on so it s not being hidden Because it was the first time i ve used it I decided to try to format it but after I set the options to default and clicked start It asked me if i was sure i wanted to clicked yes then it said quot Windows was unable to format drive quot If anyone has an idea on how to fix this issue it would be much appreciated If you want some further clarification on what is going on I have no problem doing so Thank you nbsp

A:Western Digital MyBook external HD malfunctioning

1) If you just bought it, your best resolution might be to simply return/exchange for another one

2) For general reference, See Troubleshoot: Windows Won't Recognize Your USB Hard Drive and note the first couple steps. Try
> Running Windows Update
> Running the DriveCleanup tool

3) Also, do you have the same problem with a different computer? You can also test it on your computer under Knoppix (to see if it's a Windows issue or not) See How to recover your folders/files when Windows won?t boot for how to create a bootable Knoppix CD. Then boot up and test it

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/western-digital-mybook-external-hd-malfunctioning.138820/
Relevancy 28.38%

I am trying to use Cyberlink Power Director to convert my Sony camcorder analogue tales to digital. My machine is a Dell Inspiron 530, 2.19gig processor, 1 gig ram, 276 gig free space (using 1 tera gig external drive to copy to) , OS WinXP SP3, ie version 8.0, graphics card NVIDIA GeForce 8300GS. The resut is very jerly video with 1000 'dropped frames' in less than a minute's video. I have updated the graphics card drivers. Any ideas?
mikephiliipsj

A:Analogue to Digital

Bump your system RAM to 2GB. Make sure you carefully follow the specs of the original RAM

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/analogue-to-digital.137593/
Relevancy 29.24%

I want to mirror all content, including installation of OS and software, from my internal 320GB harddrive onto a 1TB external drive. My thought was that Windows would use some files at all times, so I ran Kubuntu live and tried to drag and drop all content from c:\ to the new drive. This won.t work since there are errors coming up all the time (cannot create directory etc). So how do I do this? Any recommended backup tools?

The thing is that I bought a Dell XPS M1530 that is breaking into pieces within its first half year. I though I.d go for a sophisticated and expensive machine, what I got is a pile of junk that needs replacements and adjustments constantly. And Dell has "no responsibility for clients data" so I had to buy another external harddrive to do the mirroring myself.

Best regards
Ungua

A:Copying large amounts of files, mirroring 320GB?

Hi

what you want to use is norton ghost, or arcronis true image, these programs can create a snapshot of the disk, including boot sector (something you wont get with just copying the files over), restoring is just a case of running the program and then restoring the image.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/copying-large-amounts-of-files-mirroring-320gb.136346/
Relevancy 27.52%

I have an Asus Rampage II Motherboard, which comes with the SupremeFX X-Fi Card. Although the card is **** I was able to get it to do what I wanted up until now.

My current setup is through a line-out S/PDIF into a Yamaha receiver for 5.1 audio. My only problem is that it seems no matter what I do I cant seem to get the mic to work through the mic jack on the back of the card.

I have the most up to date drivers (SoundMax Integrated Digital HD audio), and all of my Playback & Recording devices are enabled. (See Image)

I'm out of ideas and have no idea what to do to get it working. If there is anyone out there that can give me some advice on the subject it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

A:SupremeFX X-Fi (SoundMax Int. Digital HD Audio) Mic Problem

*Fixed*

Must only have one input device enabled at a time. Then it miraculously starts working.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/supremefx-x-fi-soundmax-int-digital-hd-audio-mic-problem.136952/
Relevancy 26.23%

I am running XP/Win7 on my AMD 64 Athlon 3400+ powered Pavillion. I have an integrated Realtek AC'97 audio card and lately I've noticed that all music playback is choppy - whether it's iTunes, Windows Media Player, or Youtube. I've tried different speakers, headphones, etc., but reagrdless of the hardware I use, I still get the same problem. It sounds as if the music is being paused and then played very quickly throughout the song. I don't really notice it in Windows sound effects, but that may be because they are short in length. I notice this happening on both XP and Windows 7 and don't know why.

Please help!!!

A:Music Playback is Choppy

Try updating your audio and chipset driver. There could also be a program running in the background taking up to much memory or CPU cycles. If you listen to music alot you should get a dedicated sound card. You can get a really good Audigy on Ebay for under $15. Onboard audio is notoriously troublesome. Too many other things in the system can interfere with it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/music-playback-is-choppy.132766/
Relevancy 27.52%

my problem is i need to get my digital input to have a playback slider not just record slider so what i am saying is my blue hole anolog has a rec level and playback slider but my digital only has rec level. so on the blue hole line in all i need to do is turn up the playback slider and i get sound from my device. but in digital input wont allow me to do that i can only rec then playback i need it to be live does anyone know a program that lets u controll playback fuctions that windows properties is missing?

A:Need a program to live playback digital sound

what functions do you need?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-a-program-to-live-playback-digital-sound.135627/
Relevancy 25.8%

Hello to all I built a computer specifically to operate my modest home studio years ago It smoked at that time with Win K Gig music build computer Multi-channel of RAM and LVD SCSI RPM drives It cost a bundle to build and has lasted me until the lightning hit it a few weeks ago Also blasted was my Echo Layla audio interface and my Cubase USB dongle Data was fortunately backed up I wish to build a new box from the ground up The insurance company paid me for the fried machine I wish to spend this money building another box that will last Multi-channel music computer build me for a long while as well Throughput is key of course as is graphics speed bit architecture and boatloads of RAM I have a NewEgg order all set to place Here tis -- ww eddiecurrents com ComputerBuild order jpg -- the system would not let me post a link I am ready to press the quot place order quot button I THINK I can do away with LVD SCSI as I believe that SATA II drives even RPM ones will do what I need I very seldom exceed - tracks at a time and if I have the math right SATA II should do but I am having troubles locating data on actual throughput I administer a huge database among many other things The data is pounded daily by hundreds of live connections as well as over the internet I am very familiar with throughput but find that it s not much of a consideration for MOST people gamers power Multi-channel music computer build users graphics and video designers I really want to spend the money ONE time here and am sure there are some great ideas out there on how I can improve or even cut corners Cubase comes with both the and bit versions Soundforge and Acid also should run fine on bit Vista Windows Ultimate when available Gotcha s like sound interface software though can be a headache What other systems are out there I will never buy quot off the rack quot so who s built a mohuncher of a music editing system I was just told I don t need an I and who needs or Gigs of RAM Me that s who I have used RAM disks for years and send all my temp files and editing files to it I d like to set up two RAM disks each large enough to contain the contents of a standard DVD Gigs With Gigs total this is no problem Thanks for your input in advance I ve got a few days left before I will blow this money and any help is VERY much appreciated LoMan eddiecurrents com nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/multi-channel-music-computer-build.135474/
Relevancy 27.09%

i just got my replacement TB Western Digital My Book Home Edition today and plugged it in and it isn t detecting the Book Western My detect Home won't Digital Edition hardware I ve gone to WD s website and installed their Drive Manager and Firmware updates and it say s there s no drive plugged in I ve also downloaded the Quick Install Guide PDF but it has a password which i think is bullsh t support and i cannot open it Hopefully i can get some better support than Western Digital Western Digital My Book Home Edition won't detect seems to offer Like i said i got the thing in the mail today brand new Everything powers on just fine but it won t detect on my PC I m running Windows Vista Home Premium -Bit If anyone has any suggestions or solutions to this matter please leave a reply I didn t spend a hundred dollars on this damn thing for it to not work at all and to have sh tty technical support from the manufacturer nbsp

A:Western Digital My Book Home Edition won't detect

There may be conflict. Unplug all other USB devices and try again.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/western-digital-my-book-home-edition-wont-detect.135314/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hi I have a ThinkCentre A XP Pro SP with SoundMAX Digital Audio Playing music on the PC with browser videos not Digital working SoundMAX Audio seems to work fine but when we like go to play a video from a website there is no sound As far as I know the driver is up SoundMAX Digital Audio not working with browser videos to date at least windows update doesn t tell me to update it Driver version date I have Windows IE ANyone have any ideas how to figure out whats wrong Also fwiw I noticed that I tell XP to put my volume icon in the taskbar but it doesn t show up there at all And I just noticed when I shut down and start up the PC I don t hear the windows tunes that usually play Just fogured out I can t play SoundMAX Digital Audio not working with browser videos midi files in control panel sounds and audio audio tab midi music playback there is no device listed whereas SoundMAX Digital Audio shows in the rest SoundMAX Digital Audio not working with browser videos The only selection for midi playback is Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth but even I deslect only use default devices and select that MS one when I go back in the settings are back where they started nbsp

A:SoundMAX Digital Audio not working with browser videos

Make sure you have the latest versions of Adobe Flash player and Sun's Java installed

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/soundmax-digital-audio-not-working-with-browser-videos.133827/
Relevancy 33.97%

Hey! My comp can play music but when I play DVDs or run .avis I only get background music and the vocal audio is so low it's almost muted. I can't figure it out. I have DivX installed and AC3Filter as well but I use WMP and Cyberlink PowerDVD, no vocals from either. Do I need codecs? How do I find out which I need?

A:Music Plays / No Vocals in Movies / Background Music Plays

I've been able to boost sound with the AC3Filter and get DVD vocals now through WMP but I still am not getting any vocals from my DVDs when played through my Cyberlink PowerDVD. Any suggestions? I'm sure I'm missing a codec or something but I can't figure out what. The website I used to go to to download audio codecs for WMP11 looks down for the count so I'm at a loss.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/music-plays-no-vocals-in-movies-background-music-plays.131473/
Relevancy 26.23%

Bought my wife a Sylvinia SMPK4068, 4gig MP3 player. My son has a zune and an account. He was able to download to an OPEL RCA MP3 player with no problems from the zune site. However when we try to down load to the Sylvinia it states it's a bad file type or can't download subscription. This is a plug and play device with an disc included for conversion of AVI files. Any suggestions? Like all the options of this unit for the price just the problems with downloads from the zune site.

A:Help with music downloads on my wife's MP3

I thought that site was strictly for zune users, as I own one myself, i know you cant go hooking an ipod up to it either.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-with-music-downloads-on-my-wifes-mp3.131381/
Relevancy 27.52%

how much of a difference in sound quality will there be Also im looking for alot of bass Will it be Sound System X-450 Digital vs Logitech X-5500 a noticeable increase with the Z X- Hardware o Drivers Satellites quot drivers per satellite Subwoofer quot ported driver o Speaker dimensions H x W x D Satellites quot x quot x quot Center channel quot x quot x quot Subwoofer quot x quot x quot Technical Specifications o Total RMS power watts RMS Satellites watts RMS x W front W centre Logitech Sound System X-450 vs X-5500 Digital x W rear Subwoofer watts RMS o Total peak power watts o Frequency response Hz - kHz Z- Specifications Hardware o Drivers Satellites polished aluminum phase plug drivers Subwoofer high-excursion ported driver with th order bass reflex enclosure Surround sound effects o Hardware decoding Dolby Digital DTS and DTS soundtracks Dolby Pro Logic II Movie and Music modes Channel Direct Stereo x Stereo o Supported digital formats Dolby Digital DTS and DTS PCM uncompressed stereo kHz bit through kHz bit o Source Inputs Digital optical for DVD or CD players PlayStation Xbox Digital coaxial for DVD or CD players or PC sound cards requires coaxial cable sold separately channel direct stereo-mini connectors for or channel PC sound cards OR channel direct stereo-mini connectors for stereo analog mini audio sources like CD and DVD players Playstation Xbox or channel PC sound cards somedevices may require stereo mini to dual RCA adapter sold separately Analog stereo-mini on side panel of control center for portable CD MP or MiniDisc players Technical Specifications o Total FTC power watts RMS Sub-woofer watts RMS into ohms Hz THD Satellites Left Right watts RMS x into ohms khz THD Center watts RMS into ohms kHz THD Rear Left amp Right watts RMS x into ohms kHz THD o Total Peak power watts o Maximum SPL gt dB o Frequency response Hz kHz o Amplifier Ultra-linear high-capacity analog o Signal to noise ratio gt dB typical o Input impedance ohms o Compatibility PC Mac CD MP DVD PlayStation Xbox TY nbsp

A:Logitech Sound System X-450 vs X-5500 Digital

if you really care for a good hard hitting bass, I'd go for Z-5500.

this is why:

Z-5500
Subwoofer: 10? high-excursion ported driver with 6th order bass reflex enclosure.

>> when you say 6th order,its a bandpass system that has a good sounding effect
of the driver (subwoofer).

while X-450 only throws:

Subwoofer: 5.25" ported driver.

...remember,always go for the bigger driver (subwoofer) in terms of circumference
or diameter.

Z-5500 - 10?

X-450 - 5.25"

likewise the handling power:

Z-5500 - 188 watts RMS

X-450 - 70 watts RMS

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/logitech-sound-system-x-450-vs-x-5500-digital.131108/
Relevancy 27.09%

The instructions that came with card are not very good. The connection to motherboard is such it can only plug in one way. The problem is on the VID card. The connector to the card has a diamond mark on it but there is no mark on the card. With the card mounted on the motherboard, does the diamond mark go on the left pin or right pin? Is this connection neccessary for the operation of the GTX275?

A:Gtx275 s/pdif digital audio cable conection

All you need to do for the card to work is install it in the slot, plug in the external power, and then use the DVI or HDMI cables to link the card to the monitor. Done.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/gtx275-s-pdif-digital-audio-cable-conection.130951/
Relevancy 25.8%

For whatever reason nothing will buffer here at home (youtube, myspace, etc) after a few seconds. It'll start out working fine and then just stop buffering.

We have a wireless network here so we can share a printer. I've tried all the computers in the house (Vista, XP), multiple browsers (Firefox, Explorer, Chrome), disabling the firewall, and clearing browser data. Nothing has helped. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

A:Computers Won't Buffer Video/Music

try uninstalling flash and install the newest version here
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computers-wont-buffer-video-music.129953/
Relevancy 39.13%

I'm currently in the process of building a new pc with multiple hdds and am uncertain as to my options for which type of raid configurations are available. What i would like to do is have 1 wd velociraptor for my os and programs, 2 hdds for data (striped), and 1 hdd to mirror the three other drives. First, is this possible? Second, is this an efficient config or is there a better way?

A:Managing multiple hdds

1. Yes its possible, look in the manual for your motherboard, should be able to do this with most newer mobos, if you bought a prebuilt you may have to google the board.

All the things you listed above are possible, but may require a disk drive(floppy that is) or downloading files on to a flash drive to do.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/managing-multiple-hdds.129493/
Relevancy 27.95%

Hi folks,

I'm looking to buy an external hard drive to serve as backup media for my laptop.
My current EHD is a Maxtor OneTouch III, that's about two years old. And it just died. This morning.

So I'm in the market.

What I've looked at so far is the following:

WD Passport: I'm leaning towards this one because what few reviews I've read say its pretty reliable. The price is also right.

Seagate eSATA: Again, also fairly decent reviews, and also priced right.

Basically, what I want is something that's pretty much just a hard drive. No frills or BS, because I have the backup programs which I need. Purists will say buy a hard drive and an enclosure and DIY, but I don't have that kind of time, as much as I'd love to do that.

Thanks,

-UnWarierMage

A:Western Digital vs. Seagate vs. ...

WD Passport
from my clients list this seems to be the best
note: the seagate list is pretty bare so ??
just remember don't over heat don't bump around while unit is reading /writing
short 10gb writes seem to keep over heating down
as always backup important data

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/western-digital-vs-seagate-vs.97853/
Relevancy 27.52%

My first post...

I have only basic computer knowledge and I am not a gamer. However, I do work with digital photography and I am in the process of selecting a new computer system. I am looking at these two video cards:Both are Cross-Fire ready.
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB PCI-Express x16
ATI Radeon HD 4850 1 GB PCI-Express x16

Opinions please. The rest of the system will be:
Intel Core i7 Processor 940
Asus P6T Deluxe Intel X58 Chipset
6 GB [2 GB X3] DDR3-1333
1 TB HARD DRIVE [Serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 16M Cache]

A:Video Card Selection - Digital Photography

You must realize that if you are using Windows XP, you will not be able to use more than 3.5 GB of that memory... and if using VISTA, you cannot use more than 4 GB. But if you are planning for Windows 7, then you "might" be able to use all 6 GB, though the finals are not yet out.
Most of the 1 TB hard drives are noticeably shower than a 250 GB drive, which will make a difference in photo editing. I would use the 1 TB for storage, and get a Seagate 250 GB drive for Photoshop CS3 or CS4.
The video cards will be fine, but for photo processing, you might want to take a look at the video card reviews at www.tomshardware.com or Adobe Photoshop Magazine.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/video-card-selection-digital-photography.123229/
Relevancy 26.23%

Hey there guys im kinda new around here so im gonna be as brief as possible, the thing is that i want to configure my MIC so for example if im playing Counter Strike or Natural Selection everyone from that server can here what im listening to right? in fact is it possible to transmit music through my MIC or somehow but i need to do that i have no doubt about it cuz i know there is a way to do it but im not that so aware about it so i though u guys could help me alright so i expect some help on this Thread and thx a lot for helping me out.

Have a wonderful weekend.
Brady.

A:How to Configure MIC to transmit music through it?

can someone help me out with this please.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-configure-mic-to-transmit-music-through-it.122663/
Relevancy 26.23%

I just purchased a MP3 from Sylvania model SMPK4066. I connected my player with USB to my computer. Using Windows Media Player 11 and the sync option I synchronized my player 100% complete. Now my player reads No Files but WMP shows all of my music was tranferred and I see Folders on my MP3 screen with artists names but no music is playing and it still says No FIles. I need someone to help me get this thing to play my music. Thank you very much to whomever figures this out.

Spanner0421

A:Can't get the music tp play on my Sylvania MP3

let;s try this for simple starters

Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32
Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
If yes, click on it, then Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy Paste into next post

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-get-the-music-tp-play-on-my-sylvania-mp3.122213/
Relevancy 27.52%

Hello, I was referred by someone on the BSOD Help & Support Forum to come to this forum. My problem is that I was getting various BSOD screens and I think I have narrowed it down to the harddrive. I have a Western Digital Scorpio Blue 160 gb harddrive. I went to the Western Digital website and downloaded Western Digital Data LifeGuard Diagnostic - DLGDIAG for Windows - Version 1.09b. I tried to run this 3 times and everytime in the middle of this the computer reboots itself. Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks

A:Western Digital Harddrive diagnostic problem

Bad hard drive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/western-digital-harddrive-diagnostic-problem.121899/
Relevancy 41.28%

I was looking for a motherboard to replace my old biostar motherboard that will only support 2 gigs 667mhz, and only overclocks my e5200 up to 3 ghz even when maxing out the voltage. I am on a very tight budget, and this Msi board caught my attention http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130219

Then I checked the MSI website to get more information on this board
http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=proddesc&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=&cat3_no=&prod_no=1711

This board catches my attention because....

Its New
Its a Micro Atx with the Pci express x1 below the Pci express 2.0
Drmos Really caught my attention because it states that it makes the board energy efficent, offers a lower tempature and a more stable overclocking enviorment

Do you think its a good budget motherboard for a gamer and an overclocker like me??

A:MSI Digital G45M Digital a Good Replacement for an Old Biostar Micro Atx motherboard?

The Gigabyte GA-EP43-DS3L will do the job nicely and help you save money. It is also a more reliable choice compared to the MSI board.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/msi-digital-g45m-digital-a-good-replacement-for-an-old-biostar-micro-atx-motherboard.121764/
Relevancy 27.52%

Heres how it goes...
I use my external as a storage for a lot of important data. Just today, I turned it on and noticed the drive loaded, but, when I clicked on it, it had said "The disk in drive L is not formatted Do you want to format it now?" The hard drive was full to the 450gb mark! Hopefully this can be fixed without losing any data, I don't know what could have caused this to happen.
Your help is appreciated.

Edit: Right now I'm scanning with Data Lifeguard. Its going to take 4 hours, so Ill update when its done.

A:Western Digital - External Drive Problem

We hear "The hard drive was full to the 450gb mark!" all too often... The drive is probably toast

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/western-digital-external-drive-problem.104638/