Windows Support Forum

Wifi doesn't connect unless directly connected to router by ethernet cable

Q: Wifi doesn't connect unless directly connected to router by ethernet cable

Whenever I unplug from the router and go upstairs, I can't connect to my wi-fi. The problem also persists downstairs unless I am connected by ethernet. It's been happening for about 2 days. At first the wi-fi would jump in and out randomly and quickly but now it simply wont connect. Is it a virus or how can I fix it?

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Wifi doesn't connect unless directly connected to router by ethernet cable

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Wifi doesn't connect unless directly connected to router by ethernet cable

You might just need to restart your router / WiFI AP to resolve that issue.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wifi-doesnt-connect-unless-directly-connected-to-router-by-ethernet-cable.202219/
Relevancy 84.32%

Hi guys I ve been researching and trying to days to get this to work with no avail so I decided to post here for some help as doesn't Ethernet connected Wifi work cable. using working when only Internet I see this community is really active We ve got different laptops here and none of them can connect to the wifi anymore it suddenly stopped working for the last whole week We can connect to the internet through ethernet cables though We only use one at a time if ethernet then wireless is disabled and vice versa Here is a copy of the ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name PeterMai-HP Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Internet only working when connected using Ethernet cable. Wifi doesn't work Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List moolahd local Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix moolahd local Description Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Physical Address AC- - D- B-ED-F DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe ac a d b Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Monday October PM Lease Expires Tuesday October PM Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - - -FB- -AC- - D- B-ED-F DNS Servers Primary WINS Server NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Broadcom GN b g n x Wi-Fi Ada pter Physical Address -ED-B - D- -FD DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe c f e e b fc f Preferred Autoconfiguration IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Default Gateway DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - - -FB- -AC- - D- B-ED-F DNS Servers fec ffff fec ffff fec ffff NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft to Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap optusnet com au Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap moolahd local Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Reusable ISATAP Interface CE FC E - F - C C- D - D EBEC Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap DDFAF D- B- -AA A-DBE BA F Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Reusable ISATAP Interface E ED - - A -BB -FB FA F F Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes And here is a copy of the route print Interface List ac d b ed f Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller ed b d fd Broadcom GN b g n x Wi-Fi Adapter Software Loopback Interface e Microsoft to Adapter e Microsoft ISATAP Adapter e Microsoft ISATAP Adapter e Microsoft ISATAP Adapter e Microsoft ISATAP Adapter e Microsoft ISATAP Adapter e Microsoft ISATAP Adapter e Microsoft ISATAP Adapter IPv Route Table Active Routes Network Destination Netmask Gateway Interface Metric O... Read more

A:Internet only working when connected using Ethernet cable. Wifi doesn't work

You have an IP on your LAN, but none on your wifi. Check your router to make sure DHCP for wifi is turned on and you have enough available addresses.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/internet-only-working-when-connected-using-ethernet-cable-wifi-doesnt-work.197081/
Relevancy 82.46%

Can't connect to internet, error message says check ethernet cable. Have not changed cable or replaced cable so not sure why no connection. Router is connected (all other computers with Wi Fi works). The router and computer have lights on the ethernet ports that are lit up showing connection. HELP?

A:Can't connect to internet, ethernet cable connected to router and comp

Try resetting everything by powering off - router, modem, PC

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/305303-cant-connect-internet-ethernet-cable-connected-router-comp.html
Relevancy 103.2%

My PC has an incredibly annoying and head-scratching problem it won t connect to the internet as it connected or through to Network Unplugged directly router whether modem Cable appears constantly says A Network Cable Unplugged appears whether connected through router or directly to modem Network Cable is Unplugged Network Cable Unplugged appears whether connected through router or directly to modem I gather this is a common problem and I searched on the internet for a solution but the ones suggested haven t worked My PC runs on Windows XP and we have a wired home LAN network to share an internet connection I tried changing the speed and duplex I went to run cmd and put ipconfig and it says Media Disconnected I tried every cable we have in the house of varying length even a Cat instead of the usual Cat ones the other computers use and I tried a crossover adapter just to see if it was being contrary I also tried switching ports on the router and the one that was always off was the one for the problem computer I tried updating my driver which is an onboard Realtek one it wouldn t update The technician for Arbico which the company I bought the PC from said it was the NIC sent me a new one and washed their hands of the problem The new NIC a TP-Link on this time had the same problem so I then took the PC to PC World where the technician connected it up and it worked there with no problems I assumed that a shop like PC world has a network so thinking maybe the problem could be our router I connected the new PC straight into the modem and still got the network cable unplugged message and it still won t connect to the internet I doubt the problem is the modem as we ve only had it a few months and the other two computers and the Xbox on the network connect fine as well as the computer the new one is going to replace and my laptop on the odd occasion when I plug it into the network Now I really don t know what is wrong with it and have failed to narrow it down Any ideas nbsp

A:Network Cable Unplugged appears whether connected through router or directly to modem

The fact that the Realtek driver cannot update is a worrisome clue.

If this is a desktop, replace the network card as a test... and reinstall the drivers once more.

Modems or Network Interface Cards can fail at anytime, and new ones are not any more reliable than old ones...

Also check the socket. We have been seeing a lot of network socket failures... But were fixable by adding a new network card, and disabling the old socket.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/network-cable-unplugged-appears-whether-connected-through-router-or-directly-to-modem.148453/
Relevancy 102.77%

I am a new member and have never ever posted before on any forum but am totally confused and lost here I know some about computers 2 directly Connect Help!! laptop wifi w/1 laptops w/ethernet and had both my laptops Help!! Connect 2 laptops directly w/ethernet w/1 laptop wifi connected for whole day before I made the mistake and turned them off at the end of the day now can t remember Help!! Connect 2 laptops directly w/ethernet w/1 laptop wifi how to get it to work again please how do I connect them directly together with a ethernet cable so that I am able to connect to the internet from both One is Windows Media xp and is built in wireless my other one is also xp but doesn t have built in wifi and I broke my netgear adapter so unable to connect We run off the internet wifi offered free from where we live so how do I solve this issue p s no modem or router available to use and I am homebound disabled can someone walk me through the steps of creating a network for home and whatever else I need to do to fix this Thanks nbsp

A:Help!! Connect 2 laptops directly w/ethernet w/1 laptop wifi

After connecting them together by ethernet enable Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) on the wireless connection that has internet access. You can probably also bridge the wireless and ethernet connections, but to say that I'm making the assumption that you are not restricted to only one IP address on your free Wi-Fi. I haven't given any more details, since I assume this will jog your memory of which you did yesterday.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-connect-2-laptops-directly-w-ethernet-w-1-laptop-wifi.964336/
Relevancy 99.33%

I cannot connect to the internet via my router. The router is functioning properly two other computers in the house use the router one though Ethernet cable and the other one connects wireless.
Things I have done while trying to figure out the problem

Made sure all windows updates were up to date
Scanned for viruses and malware (none were found)
Uninstall the network adapter
Made sure the network adapter driver were up to date
I have noticed that when I plug the Ethernet cable from the router to the computer the led on the back of the computer panel does not blink as it does when I route directly from he cable modem.

Any Ideas on what could be the problem?

A:Computer does not connect to internet through router only directly through cable mode

Do you have IP and DHCP set to automatic? Are you using any kind of proxy installed by your ISP?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-does-not-connect-to-internet-through-router-only-directly-through-cable-mode.1007887/
Relevancy 96.32%

Hello Firstly let me apologise if this question is repeated elsewhere but I could not find anything identical to it I have an Acer laptop WiFi Ethernet Whilst Connected Can't Cable Browse Internet and connect from this to the internet via Can't Browse WiFi Internet Whilst Ethernet Cable Connected a CDMA connection provided by the local I live in Thailand version of a Novatel MiFi modem This works just fine for internet Can't Browse WiFi Internet Whilst Ethernet Cable Connected browsing and I simultaneously use P P software to download UK TV stuff I also have a wired network in my house and on this I have a Gb NAS drive There is a wireless router on the network but I am outside of it's range When I connect the network cable to connect to the NAS drive I am no longer able to browse the internet BUT the P P software still carries on working as before So therefore my laptop is still connected to the internet via the Wifi network So why does my browser think otherwise Normally I use Google Chrome but I have also tried IE and this suffers from the same fate Can't Browse WiFi Internet Whilst Ethernet Cable Connected Any suggestions would be much appreciated Alan

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f120/cant-browse-wifi-internet-whilst-ethernet-cable-connected-601433.html
Relevancy 95.46%

Hello,

I have an annoying problem with my pc running Windows 7 Ultimate.
Till I connected my pc(which is a desktop without wi fi adapter) to internet using a ethernet cable and a wi fi router I had no problems. After that, randomly, but especially when browsing the internet, the computer freezes and I must restart it.

I have to mention the fact that if I connect my pc to internet using directly the cable from my ISP ( a pppoe dial-up connection) everything works fine.

All the drivers are from windows update(my Windows is genuine).

What do you suggest?
Thanks in advance.

A:Windows freez while connected via ethernet cable to router

Hello kenobi .... post it following the Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Posting Instructions. If there is no crash dumps, that is OK .... the other information will help us to have a closer look to your system.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/270631-windows-freez-while-connected-via-ethernet-cable-router.html
Relevancy 95.46%

Hey guys, my laptop asus stopped working with wifi connection and I was just reading some posts here about this same problem but didn't find how to fix it.

I was uninstalling some programs from my pc but I didn't uninstall programs named "something wireless". I just took off what I knew I could.

I also tried the option "solve problems" in the wireless pc symbol and the answer was to connect my laptop to an ethernet cable...that never happened. Just now.

Does anyone knows how I get back my wireless connection? Pleasee

A:WiFi doesn't work only with cable ethernet

Powercycle the modem and router. Here is a specific order if you have a separate modem and router.
1. Shut down all PC's.
2. Shut down the Modem and router.
3. Power on the modem only. Wait 2 minutes or so.
4. Power on the router. Wait 2 minutes or so.
If you have a modem/router combo, then you don't need step 4.
5. Boot up the PC and see if you can connect.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wifi-doesnt-work-only-with-cable-ethernet.207136/
Relevancy 95.03%

I'm a new Plusnet customer and I cannot connect to the internet using wifi I just get a page saying the broadband is down. So I tried using an ethernet cable and after manually setting this up I can use the internet. I accidentally disconnected the cable yesterday but the internet didn't fault, it's now working wirelessly. I can connect to the wifi using my mobile and iPad but I cannot connect to the internet. A new router has been sent and the problem still persists, a bt engineer has also visited but cannot find a solution.

Can anybody please help me?

A:I can't connect to wifi but connect with an Ethernet cable works, even when it isn't plugged in

It gets confusing as to which device is being used so as a guideline
disable one or the other (wifi vs wired) and don't allow both to be active at the same time. Technically, which ever device gets an IP address from your router will become the gateway to your ISP - - ignoring the connectivity of the second device to access your router.

With a laptop, we just toggle the keyboard to enable/disable wifi and the wired is easy - - just pull the cable out.

create a desktop shortcut to \windows\system32\devmgmt.msc
to control the devices (needs admin access)
expand [+] network adapters and you'll see the list
mine are

Dell Wireless 1502 ....
Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
Just right-click->disable and you can always right-click->enable

The png posted shows both are enabled and the wired has the gateway.
If the cable is disconnected, this is quite impossible.

SO, first control which device is to be used and then make the connection.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-cant-connect-to-wifi-but-connect-with-an-ethernet-cable-works-even-when-it-isnt-plugged-in.204891/
Relevancy 95.03%

I've been having a problem for the last few weeks where my laptop wasn't recognizing my internet. When it stopped working I could see my connection through the network access, but it always failed to connect and the troubleshooter told me to restart my router. After trying a few times, shutting down and restarting my computer, doing a system restore, and a factory reset twice, I can connect to the internet through an Ethernet cable. However, now my laptop can't even see that any connections are available.

There are other computer in my house, all they all connect just fine. What should I do?

A:Laptop can't connect to the internet unless it's connected to an Ethernet cable

The laptops internal WIFI card has probably failed. You can get around it by using an external USB wifi adapter

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-cant-connect-to-the-internet-unless-its-connected-to-an-ethernet-cable.210264/
Relevancy 94.17%

My problem started the day of the big cyber attack on the internet. Coincidence?

I am having the same problem as this poster

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/629989/cant-connect-to-the-internet-via-wifi-but-can-with-cable/

I've tried everything mentioned in that thread to no avail.

I have Windows 7 - 64 bit.
Vaio vgn-z610y which is 7 yr old.

Went to Device manager.. First deleted, then I updated the  driver for Intel Wifi 5100 AGN.. Then I went to the Sony site and found another driver update.

I don't see a place in Bios.to enable wireless.

The Windows Mobility utility didn't fix the problem.

I don't know what else to try..The Netgear WNR1000 v4 router is new and wifi works on my tablet..

I've removed the battery from the laptop.

I don't have a restore point so maybe I have a virus? I've run Malwarebytes, , Awdcleaner, Avast, Tdsskiller,

Please HELP!

Thanks!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/630521/cant-connect-to-wifi-but-can-use-ethernet-cable/
Relevancy 94.17%

Any idea chaps why my laptop connects to the internet over wifi but not if I connect the ehternet cable directly into the back?
I have checked that the driver is installed (I think) and also that the box is ticked to allocate IP address automatically...

Relevancy 93.31%

So here I am sitting on my desktop Vista machine Acer Aspire M model being able to connect to my D-Link wifi router by ONLY using a Belkin wifi dongle I Connect dongle Only cable Can using ethernet WiFi & not via cannot get my machine to connect with an ethernet cable I have tried several different cable but still no joy When I go Can Only Connect using WiFi dongle & not via ethernet cable to 'Network amp Sharing' centre in Vista I can see the Belkin Wifi connection which is obviously how I am being able to connect and type this but the wired connection just constantly says 'Unidentified' - Local Access Only Just to add some more info - I also went to the Command Prompt and typed in ipconfig renew and Can Only Connect using WiFi dongle & not via ethernet cable after a few seconds got the follwing reply 'An error occurred while renewing interface Wired Connection unable to contact your DHCP server Request timed out An error occured while releasing interface Loopback Pseudo-Interface The system cannot find the file specified Ethernet adaptor Wired Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Link Local IPv Address f e ec b bd e Autoconfiguration IPv Address Subnet Mask Default gateway fe ea c cff e Can anyone help me out here

A:Can Only Connect using WiFi dongle & not via ethernet cable

....anybody?!?! Over 100 views and nobody has any idea on a possible fix?!

I also noticed a post further down which has had over 10,000 views and only 7 reponses...not holding out much hope....!!!

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/298275-can-only-connect-using-wifi-dongle-not-via-ethernet-cable.html
Relevancy 92.88%

Hello folks,

This is not exactly Windows 10 issue but a networking issue that I need some help with.

I am in a situation, where I need to use ethernet cable connection but there is no physical ethernet port to connect to, but there is ample wifi. I have this pocket router, Amazon.com: TP-LINK TL-WR702N Wireless N150 Travel Router, Nano Size, Router/AP/Client/Bridge/Repeater Modes, Up to 150Mbps, USB Powered: Computers Accessories which I think can be used for this purpose. I just want to confirm, it is indeed possible.

Many thanks in advance.

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/51622-connecting-wifi-physical-router-ethernet-cable-use.html
Relevancy 92.88%

Windows user with my card will wifi connect ethernet no longer connected; recommended Windows updates up wifi connected; ethernet card will no longer connect to date except as removed by system restore mentioned below Samsung NP P C laptop Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller A couple of weeks ago I noticed that I no longer had a wired connection on my laptop only the wifi For ages I've run with both connected wifi connected; ethernet card will no longer connect it prioritized the wire and I never had a problem but the wired connection dropped out and will not come back to life even if I disconnect from the wifi I spent a lot of time over the past few days doing online research didn't want to get too aggressive but here is what I have tried Give the ethernet card's MAC address a static IP on the gateway Actiontec router provided by Verizon Attempt to configure the IPv properties on the ethernet card to use the right default gateway and mask these have gone south as you'll see in my ipconfig dump below ipconfig release and renew - renew never completed New cable that was my first try New driver Fell back to old driver System Restore back to the beginning of the month The router is also new Verizon sent me a new one which I installed at the beginning of this week No improvement I have to admit that I didn't dig deep into these settings while using the old router because it was also dropping wifi a couple of times a day and so I thought it was just failing At first it would not recognize the cable but then I read somewhere to adjust the speed and duplex from Auto detect to just anything else in the list to see if one worked and when I chose gbps and full duplex the adapter woke up and I could see the light on the router come on for the connected port However it doesn't recognize the network how disloyal it's been using it for years I can now also see the computer listed on the router's page of network connections However the computer thinks this is an unknown public network with no connectivity Here is my ipconfig dump I made some notes in red and the bolded items strike me as WRONG Windows IP Configuration Host Name CarolineSamsung Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List domain actdsltmp Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection do not know what this is Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter Physical Address C - - -E -C -E DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection I have a bluetooth device I sometimes use maybe this is that Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Bluetooth Device Personal Area Network Physical Address C - - -E -C -E DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Ethernet adapter Ethernet HERE IS MY PROBLEM CHILD Connection-specific DNS Suffix should be something here yes Description Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Physical Address -B -C - - C-AA DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe b f a e Preferred Autoconfiguration IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Default Gateway DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - A- -A -C -C - - -E -C -E DNS Servers fec ffff fec ffff fec ffff NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi working rock solid so far Connection-specific DNS Suffix domain actdsltmp Description Intel R Centrino R Advanced-N Physical Address C - - -E -C -E DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe cc c f e c Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Thursday June PM Lease Expires Thursday July PM Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - A- -A -C -C - - -E -C -E DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Tunnel adapter isatap C BEA-B B- -AF - D B C FE don't know what these tunnel things are Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adap... Read more

A:wifi connected; ethernet card will no longer connect

Most likely you screwed something up either on the IP for the Ethernet card on your computer, or did it on your Gateway. Check out ezlan.net for further info how to do what you want to do.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/67805-wifi-connected-ethernet-card-will-no-longer-connect.html
Relevancy 92.45%

I recently used a program Autoruns,, and deleted some startup things I shouldn't have.. Since then I cant connect to internet, the troubleshooter for wireless adapter says the Windows wireless service is not running on this computer (WLAN Autoconfig service) and fails to start the service.
I notice on windows task manager there are only about 13 Processes running and there are usually about 20, and on Services there are about 40 running and about 100 or more stopped services. Thanks for the help

Also on startup now I have a pop up on bottom saying, Failed to connect to a windows service. Windows could not connect to the System Event Notification Service service. This problem prevents standard users from logging on to the system. As an administrative user, you can review the System Event Log for details about why the service didn't respond. And the startup and logon time is really long now

A:Windows 7 can't connect to internet through Wifi or ethernet cable

Sounds like you deleted the network drivers, I did this once and ill be honest unless someone here knows a trick, or you have a CD with drivers you are going to have to have a hell of a time unless you know the name of the hardware and download the right driver, thats my guess. best of luck

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-7-cant-connect-to-internet-through-wifi-or-ethernet-cable.200026/
Relevancy 92.45%

Hi everyone
I have an Acer aspire one netbook, model D255 which operates on Windows 7.
Having trouble connecting to wifi connections. It worked fine initially, I tried turning the wifi switch on and off, it tells me that there are no wifi connections available, however everyone else Is able to connect via Wifi on their computers and myself without a problem on other devices.
On troubleshooting it's says - that an Ethernet cable is broken or not plugged in
properly, and is unable to fix the problem, as obviously I am not connected via any cable.
I looked in network and it says that the Ethernet cable is unplugged and does not show any available networks.
Urgent help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Relevancy 91.59%

Hi all I really hope someone can help me with this before my head implodes I ve had dial-up for years but AOL said they could give me a broadband-quality internet service with a Speedtouch wireless router and an ethernet cable They sent the equipment through I set it up on one laptop at home and it worked fine - miraculous in fact really fast So then I tried to set it up on my partner s laptop Ran the installation software and it got to the point where you connect to connect Trying router via laptop to cable! Ethernet the laptop an Advent to the router and it said it couldn t connect Trying to connect laptop to router via Ethernet cable! The ethernet cable was securely plugged in at both ends but no ethernet light was displaying on the router I called Trying to connect laptop to router via Ethernet cable! AOL and they went through everything - the laptop has an ethernet card and the netware - sorry I really am a total beginner seemed OK ie didn t have any little crosses or question marks beside it when we looked at in in quot systems information quot So the AOL guy said I might need a new ethernet card But I don t see how that s the problem if there s already one in there and it seems to be functional I ll probably go try to buy an ethernet card but this has already cost me quite a bit mostly in phone calls to AOL and I was wondering Trying to connect laptop to router via Ethernet cable! if anyone has any ideas or can confirm that buying the new card is my best option I really appreciate any help you can give nbsp

Relevancy 91.59%

I was on here last night trying to get my laptop to connect to wireless internet. I'm still working on figuring that out with the person I bought the laptop from and I may end up purchasing a wireless card, but now my question is:

Can I connect to the internet right now by using an ethernet network cable plugged into my computer and into the D-link router which my desktop computer already accesses the internet from?

I plugged it in but nothing happened.

Relevancy 91.59%

I have a Netgear router (WNDR3400)

I have 1 desktop pc (netgear software installed on this)

I have 2 laptops

All 3 pc's are running Windows 7 pro

I need to change the Network Key (password) on the desktop.

Then I need to know what has to be done so both laptop pc's will connect without an ethernet cable.

A:Need help to connect laptops to router without ethernet cable

The manual that came with the Wireless Router has all that information. Basically you put the Router's IP address in your browser's Address bar, looks similar to 192.168.1.1 but last two numbers may be different, hit Enter and should open the page to your Router's Setup. You may need the user name and password, also provided in the manual. Once in you can go to the Wireless section to set up a password or change it if already there. You can also change the Network name but remember it.
The manual:
ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/WN..._23MAR2010.pdf

Then when that is done you fire up the Notebooks and click the Wireless icon in the Notification Area, should show your Router and click to log in with the password you set.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/347922-need-help-connect-laptops-router-without-ethernet-cable.html
Relevancy 91.59%

I have a LaserJetprinter with a bad USB port, and I want to connect it directly to my laptop using the ethernet port. Since there is no internet at this location, I have been using the USB port.

If I connect the printer directly to my laptop what type of cable do I use (crossover?) and what kind of port settings do I use (TCP/IP?) and how do I set this up correctly?

A:how to connect printer via ethernet cable with no router

Hello,

The easiest thing to do would be to but a small 5-Port switch. The newer ones are auto-sensing so you can use either a crossover or a stright through cable.

If your PC doesnt get an IP address from a DHCP Server like a router then you will need to assign a static IP address (i.e. 192.168.0.1). You will then need to set a static IP Address on the printer which is in the same range (i.e. 192.168.0.2).

How to set a static IP on Windows 7 (Steps 6 to 10) :
Setting a Static IP Address in Windows 7 - PortForward.com

Hope that helps.

Dave

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/193945-how-connect-printer-via-ethernet-cable-no-router.html
Relevancy 91.16%

Hi there,

The laptop I have is an asus P550C, windows 7.

This laptop came pre-installed with Mcafee Antivirus protection for a limited amount of time. Wifi was working perfectly fine although there were occasions where the connection would disconnect by itself. After the free-trial ended, I did not want to buy the packaged they were advertising so I went to my Control Panel and uninstalled Mcafee. This was when the problem started to occur. The internet access icon had a red x and when I went to diagnose the problem, it said that I needed to connect via an ethernet cable. Since then, I have connected it with an ethernet and internet works and I have also installed AVG's free antivirus software.

I have tried to
type: ipconfig /flushdns
type: nbtstat -R
type: netsh int reset all
type: netsh int ip reset
type: netsh winsock reset

But I still cannot connect via wifi. Please help

A:Wifi has stopped working but still able to connect to internet via ethernet cable

C:\Users\jay>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : jay-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : vlan1.phub.net.cable.rogers.com

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 54-35-30-05-36-68
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : vlan1.phub.net.cable.rogers.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : BC-EE-7B-28-57-D7
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::9dfa:dcc6:3d3b:ae86%11(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.20(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : March-27-15 4:14:52 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : March-28-15 4:14:52 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 247262843
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1A-51-D7-D4-BC-EE-7B-28-57-D7

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.vlan1.phub.net.cable.rogers.com:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : vlan1.phub.net.cable.rogers.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter isatap.{A9DA0935-EE1F-4A59-8A97-DDA13A7DFFEA}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:9d38:90d7:2c47:1b6c:9c1d:d26b(Pref
erred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::2c47:1b6c:9c1d:d26b%14(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

C:\Users\jay

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wifi-has-stopped-working-but-still-able-to-connect-to-internet-via-ethernet-cable.210787/
Relevancy 90.3%

Our house was pre-wired with cat e cable to all rooms but we have never tried to use them until we had fios installed this week Each room has an outlet with rj and coax The Fios router was installed in the closet next to the port cat5e connect won't ethernet to router in cable wire distribution center and cat5e cable won't connect to ethernet port in router when I plug in the cat e cable with an rj connector into the router nothing happens - no light on the router indicating that it recognizes the connection The ethernet connection in the room has the same result - the pc laptop and xbox all were all connected cat5e cable won't connect to ethernet port in router and none of them recognized the ethernet connection I pulled out the outlet plate in the room and the cat e cable is numbered the same as the cat e cable on the other end in the wire distribution closet and I see that they have split the cat e wiring for ethernet and phone pairs to one rj one pair to the other and left the brown pair out which sounds right based on what I have read online about splitting cat wiring for phone ethernet into an rj connector But the online instructions also say that each end of the cable should match and the connector that goes into the wireless router has all wires attached to the rj I would really like to take advantage of the ethernet wiring in the upstairs rooms so that I don t have to buy a wireless card for the pc and the xbox but am not sure about how to check the rj connections I borrowed a cable tester from my neighbor and it shows a red light which indicates a problem but I don t know on which end of the cable Then there is the crossover cable that I read about online where you switch pins if you are not connecting to a hub So is a router a hub As you can see I am not a networking expert but am trying to understand what the problem is before calling in the pros who charge for a service call and an hour I m wondering if I have to buy the tools to strip the cable and punch the wires into the new connector if I may be better off calling someone to do it for me or just buying the wireless cards Thanks for any help you can give me nbsp

A:cat5e cable won't connect to ethernet port in router

You don't need a cross-over cable. A hub, switch and router are similar devices; you do not use a cross-over to connect a computer to any of those. That's the easy part.

You are correct that you only need 4 wires for ethernet (gigabit = 1000 Mbps, however, uses 8). If the correct 4 wires are connected at each end, and they are not broken in the middle somewhere, they should work.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cat5e-cable-wont-connect-to-ethernet-port-in-router.917774/
Relevancy 90.3%

Greetings!

I have an internet connection which is distributed through a wireless router. I use my laptop's (which also has a LAN adapter) WiFi to connect to that router. I have a PC too which only has LAN adapter but not the Wireless adapter.

Unfortunately I cannot wire my place as the router is in my housemate's room. I have network cables though to connect my PC and my laptop. Can I access Internet on my PC using connection between my laptop and PC and my laptop being connected to the Internet via WiFi?

I have DHCP enabled on my WiFi laptop. I am not sure what do I need to do and if I need to give static IP's to all the computers?

Thanks,
AJ
PS - I can access the router settings and I can change those settings unless it hampers my other house-mates to use the Internet.

A:Laptop (wifi Internet w/ethernet facility) connect to PC through CAT5 cable

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-wifi-internet-w-ethernet-facility-connect-to-pc-through-cat5-cable.671427/
Relevancy 89.44%

Hi I bought a new router to connect to my cable modem so that via reset ethernet connect Help! router cable. DNS, net adapter. Can't to Flushed I could share through USB It s a Netgear WNR the N range I was trying to find out how to set the two of them up and stupidly followed the wrong instructions setting the Can't connect to router via ethernet cable. Flushed DNS, reset net adapter. Help! IP address to yes I ve tried typing that into browser tried typing the old one tried routerlogin net and com Then I tried resetting the network adapter following threads by people who had the same problem by doing the following in elevated command prompt ipconfig flushdns nbtstat -R nbtstat -RR netsh int reset all netsh int ipv reset netsh int ipv reset netsh winsock reset And Can't connect to router via ethernet cable. Flushed DNS, reset net adapter. Help! then a reboot I ve tried resetting the router by holding the pin in and Can't connect to router via ethernet cable. Flushed DNS, reset net adapter. Help! letting the test light flash for a good - seconds I ve tried turning it off waiting turning back on I ve tried restarting in safe mode What can I do to connect to this router again so I can restore the proper IP I don t have another laptop I can use nbsp

A:Can't connect to router via ethernet cable. Flushed DNS, reset net adapter. Help!

After you reset it to factory defaults its LAN address is set to default. Connect a Windows PC to it and show ...

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

[Press ENTER after each command.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-connect-to-router-via-ethernet-cable-flushed-dns-reset-net-adapter-help.1124398/
Relevancy 89.44%

Wifi doesn't connect when i move away from wifi router. I have a wifi router installed in my drawing room where i get good browsing speed on phones and laptops. But the problem starts when i take my laptop from drawing room to my bedroom which is not more than 5 mtrs from router. Wifi signal drops to zero on laptop whereas it remains decent on phones. Earlier my laptop used to connect in bedroom as well..This is happening lately. Is there any solution?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/Wifi-doesn-t-connect-when-i-move-away-from-wifi-router/td-p/5768546
Relevancy 89.01%

Same Connected connect to to router, internet can't wifi wifi network works on my laptop but not my desktop Running the troubleshooter on my desktop Connected to wifi router, can't connect to internet comes up with no errors My ipconfig all is below Thanks in advance Microsoft Windows Version Copyright c Microsoft Corporation All rights reserved C Users Mike gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name TARDIS Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter Physical Address B -DB-C - B- - DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Bluetooth Device Personal Area Network Physical Address - - - -C -B DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Atheros AR Wireless Network Adapter Physical Address -DB-C - B- - DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe d b b d a Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Friday November PM Lease Expires Saturday November PM Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - -EE- F-B -C - - -E - D-F DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Intel R V Gigabit Network Connectio n Physical Address C - - -E - D-F DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap B - - B - A D- B A F CA Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap E B A - BAD- CD-B - FAE AD Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe cbc b ea Preferred Default Gateway NetBIOS over Tcpip Disabled Tunnel adapter isatap BA C C- C - E-B - D D D A Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap E - A F- - C- FBF D AD Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes C Users Mike gt

A:Connected to wifi router, can't connect to internet

According to this you should have a connection so something may be blocking the connection like an Anti Virus software.

Does it show up as connected but the browsers won't go anywhere? If so I have something for that.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/262213-connected-wifi-router-cant-connect-internet.html
Relevancy 88.15%

I have recently bought a router, the Fritz.Box Home Server 1&1 VDSL. I have set it up via wifi and can connect to the internet without a problem.
However, I would like to connect my PC to the router via LAN.
When I put the LAN cable into my PC and the router, both my PC and my router react and tell me there is a connection but they do not recognize each other. The router says there is something in LAN1 and the PC says there is a LAN cable without a connection. I cannot access the router via LAN, only via wifi.
My PC uses the Killer Network 2200e driver, I tried removing it and then manually adding it again, it did not work. My IPv4 settings seem fine, too, I have no idea what to do now.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f338/ethernet-wont-connect-to-router-wifi-works-fine-1103938.html
Relevancy 88.15%

I have recently bought a router, the Fritz.Box Home Server 1&1 VDSL. I have set it up via wifi and can connect to the internet without a problem.
However, I would like to connect my PC to the router via LAN.
When I put the LAN cable into my PC and the router, both my PC and my router react and tell me there is a connection but they do not recognize each other. The router says there is something in LAN1 and the PC says there is a LAN cable without a connection. I cannot access the router via LAN, only via wifi.
My PC uses the Killer Network 2200e driver, I tried removing it and then manually adding it again, it did not work. My IPv4 settings seem fine, too, I have no idea what to do now.

A:Ethernet won't connect to router, wifi works fine

and welcome to the Forum

Lets take a peek at your network environment:

First:

Power Cycle everything . . Turn off the Modem, router and all pc's . . turn on the Modem and wait a few minutes for the lights to stabilize . . then turn on the router, then one pc at a time. See if you connect to the internet.

Then: check your browser's settings, remove any proxy settings if found, here's how

Then:

with the pc connected to the router, Click on Start . . Run . . type CMD

At the > prompt type or copy and paste the following command:

ipconfig/all > 0 & notepad 0

and press enter.

Come back here and Paste the results in a message.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB drive, or a CD-R disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f31/ethernet-wont-connect-to-router-wifi-works-fine-1103938.html
Relevancy 88.15%

I have a slightly different setup so I'm hoping somebody might have some suggestions on what I can try.

I have Comcast Xfinity Internet and a Motorola SB6121 model - have all worked great for years no problems.

I have the modem in my garage with a wifi router and a router for various rooms in my house. My home computer is in an office and previously I had a wired connection that worked great.

I changed wifi router to a new Netgear and the internet connection from the modem is working, the wifi is working, but my home computers ethernet connection will no longer connect...

Any thoughts on what to try other than powering off and on model / routers / computer which I have tried?

Mike

A:Changed wifi router, now ethernet doesnt connect - Win 8.1

You can only have one router on your network. For extending coverage, you use Access Points

As for the Ethernet problem, go back and double check your connections to the router.

If you cascaded routers in what are called "Edge Routers". Changing your first router, without any changes on the others can be why you only have a connection to one router and not out to the Internet.

It is really easier to show someone what they did wrong, then explain on a forum.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/70367-changed-wifi-router-now-ethernet-doesnt-connect-win-8-1-a.html
Relevancy 88.15%

I have never run into this before.

I have a dsl modem/gateway (actiontec) which i use to connect to the internet

when I connected a Linksys WRT54G v.4 router to my laptop thru RJ45, WITH wifi disabled on the router, I lose connectivity to the internet on the wifi connection.

I'm used to XP with independent connectoids. Looking at the properties on each connection, they appear to be correct.

Has anyone run into this on Vista?

I thought surely by disco'g the wifi on the Linksys Router it should just be a standard wired connection.

both routers are setup for DHCP. Is that what's confusing Vista?

weird. appreciate any help. I am so out of troubleshooting ideas.

A:Can't Connect wifi w/internet when connected to RJ45 to another Router (x64)

Originally Posted by notech

I have never run into this before.

I have a dsl modem/gateway (actiontec) which i use to connect to the internet

I connected a Linksys WRT54G v.4 router to my laptop thru RJ45, WITH wifi disabled on the router, I lose connectivity to the internet on the wifi connection.

I'm used to XP with independent connectoids. Looking at the properties on each connection, they appear to be correct.

Has anyone run into this on Vista?

I thought surely by disco'g the wifi on the Linksys Router it should just be a standard wired connection.

both routers are setup for DHCP. Is that what's confusing Vista?

weird. appreciate any help. I am so out of troubleshooting ideas.

can you just run through your post again, you seem to be saying that you have disabled your wireless on your router and you lose connection on the wireless connection on your computer.
you will, because you disabled it.

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/208242-cant-connect-wifi-w-internet-when-connected-rj45-another-router-x64.html
Relevancy 87.72%

Here at work, for some months, I've been connected to my company's LAN by ethernet cable, and I could also connect to the WiFi in our office (run by our joint venture partner company). All that would happen is that as soon as I connected to the WiFi, that network became my "primary" one, i.e. if I went to check my external IP, it would be the WiFi one that would show up, and I'd have trouble connecting Outlook, etc, since my PC now thought I was on a different network).

The last few days, however, I can't connect to the WiFi at all. It finds the network, but constantly just says "Waiting For Network". However if I pull the ethernet cable out of the PC (i.e. disconnect from my company's LAN), I can them connect to the WiFi no bother.

Any ideas?

Relevancy 87.29%

Hi guys - setting up computers in my new home and have got the wifi working fine with my BT connect wifi Router to Ethernet Cannot via BTHub3 but Wireless works - Home Hub router works for laptops mobile devices etc Have been trying to connect via Ethernet for a laptop and home pc for a faster more reliable connection but it doesn't seem to be working When plugged in the Network and Sharing Centre simply displays the loading blue circle with 'identifying' but no network access When clicking on the Local Area Connection Status both IPv and IPv connectivity state no network access but I can't seem to find Cannot connect via Ethernet to BTHub3 Wireless Router - but wifi works any hardware problems on the laptop The same issue occurs for other laptops at home and I know my laptop works with Ethernet at work Running ipconfig all shows that DHCP is enabled I checked this on the properties tab for the IPvs autoconfiguration is enabled I can add in a copy and paste of the whole ipconfig all if that's helpful - 'media disconnected' shows for Tunnel adapters but I don't really understand what they are If anyone could help at all I'd be really grateful

A:Cannot connect via Ethernet to BTHub3 Wireless Router - but wifi works

Could be that the router is only set to wifi.
go to your router setting page open it (192.168.0.1) check the settings there,
password is probably admin if you havn't changed it, please do change it if you havn't.

Or plan B reset the router

Roy

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/377034-cannot-connect-via-ethernet-bthub3-wireless-router-but-wifi-works.html
Relevancy 86.86%

Wow, I typed a message and it disappeared. I will try again. My printer connected to a Dynex modem quit. I plugged the printer into my lap top with a cable from the printer. The lap top can't find the printer plugged into the cable. Can someone help me please.

Lawcorner

A:Cant Print from lap top directly connected by cable? Please Help.

Did you install the drivers for the printer

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/236169-cant-print-lap-top-directly-connected-cable-please-help.html
Relevancy 82.13%

hey guys,

is this possible.

a printer on one end and my laptop on another end and to have them connected through ehternet.

what would be the default ip address of the printer if i connect it like that??

thanks,

Relevancy 82.13%

I have a Sony Vaio with WIFI and an ALienware that does not have WIFI. I need to connect the Alienware to the Vaio with ethernet cable to access the net. I keep getting a IP address conflict message on the Vaio. The only thing I need the Vaio for is the WIFI connectivity. Will be purchasing a new PCI card (wireless adapter) soon but until I do... I need to make that connection on the Vaio a Hot Spot or the likes. Any surefire methodology to accomplish this task? Thanks so much for any help you can offer. Kirt (530)749-1110

A:Win XP, laptop#1 has WIFI, laptop #2 needs to connect thru #1 with ethernet cable

what operating systems are on the PCs

you should use ICS - internet connection sharing or bridge
what type of cable do you have - it may need a crossover cable if the pcs are old and do not have autosensing LAN connections
------------------------------------------------------------------------
TURN ON ICS
TURN ON ICS - for internet sharing

General
-------
TURN ON ICS - for internet sharing
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Using-ICS-Internet-Connection-Sharing

XP
--
TURN ON ICS - for internet sharing - for windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/crawford_02july01.mspx

VISTA
-----
TURN ON ICS - for internet sharing - for windows VISTA
http://www.windowsreference.com/win...ternet-connection-sharing-ics-setup-in-vista/

windows 7
---------
TURN ON ICS - for internet sharing - for windows 7
http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/bridge-network-connections-in-windows-7/

Bridging two network connections:
Make sure the secondary connection has DHCP enabled.
Open the Network Connections folder from the Start Menu, Settings.
Select the first connection to be used in the bridge and highlight it by left clicking on it.
Holding the Ctrl key, select the second connection to be used in the bridge by left clicking on it.
Right click on one of the two highlighted connections and select Bridge Connections.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/win-xp-laptop-1-has-wifi-laptop-2-needs-to-connect-thru-1-with-ethernet-cable.1016997/
Relevancy 80.84%

Hi I have a problem that i need help with on Windows x I have a wireless router that works just fine same is the connection to the internet when I working router, PC connection but when Internet through directly to not connected connect the cable When I switch the internet cable to PC I cannot connect to any web page I receive the error quot The web page is not responding quot My internet works through cable with a static IP The details from the network adapter are the same as the router IP adress Subnet mask Default Gateway etc all the same Internet connection working through router, but not when connected directly to PC and I can see in the notification area that my computer is connected to the internet but when I open the browser to connect to a webpage I get the same error when I press the button quot Fix network connection quot from the browser it says that my connection is good but it appears to be a problem with the site When I open the Windows troubleshooter it doesn t find any errors in the adapter status i can see that I receive send packages in Command Prompt I type quot ping -t lt My IP adress gt quot and I don t get any quot request timed out quot Basically my PC is connected to the internet but the browser doesn t connect to any site When I switch the cable back into the wireless router and connect to it I can connect to any site I also tried changing the homegroup changing the adapter priority in advanced settings restarting the computer multiple times but no success I don t know what to do next reinstall the Windows maybe Ps Sorry for my bad language not native nbsp

A:Internet connection working through router, but not when connected directly to PC

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/internet-connection-working-through-router-but-not-when-connected-directly-to-pc.1124349/
Relevancy 80.41%

Hi,

I have a network printer that used to connect to a switch, which connected to a single computer. The idea was that you can connect other laptops to the switch and then share the printer.

But no one ever does that and I needed the switch for something else so I removed it and connected the printer directly to the computer. It doesn't work.

What do I have to do to get this direct connection to work? Or does this absolutely require a switch?

A:Connect a printer directly to one computer's Ethernet port?

Hi,

You will need to change the connecting cable from a straight one to a crossover cable. OK?

What are Straight and Crossover Cables

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/294186-connect-printer-directly-one-computers-ethernet-port.html
Relevancy 80.41%

Purchased a D-Link DIR- Wireless router so that we can have wireless Internet on one side of very large house The whole house has Ethernet jacks in all the rooms and the cable modem is in the basement with a switch plugged into it patching all the rooms in If I plug my laptop into the jack in the bedroom I get Internet with no problem I want to plug a router in there instead so that I can get wireless with the laptop in the bedroom and on that Setup Can modem I directly without Router connecting cable end of the house I cannot get the Internet light to come on the router and DLink support tells me that the only way possible for me to get the Internet on the router is to connect the cable modem Can I Setup Router without directly connecting cable modem to the router directly I can t do this because the modem is in the basement on the wrong side of the house If I put the router down there the signal will not be strong enough I just want to know if this is true or was the DLink guy wrong nbsp

Relevancy 80.41%

I have a new HP laptop with Vista installed (not an upgrade). I can take my laptop wherever and connect to wireless networks with no problems. Lately, I can no longer connect directly to a wireless router or cable modem with an ethernet cable. I keep pulling a 169 address when wired. I have tried a known good cables, different modems...same results. I'm hoping my ethernet port is not bad since my laptop is less than a few months old. Any suggestions on what to try in the meantime? I think I've explored all the easy options.

A:I can connect on any wireless network, but can[not] get online if directly connected

If you right click on the modem icon in the system tray, connected directly by ethernet, and select "diagnose and repair" does it tell you anything?

If you open a command prompt (start > run: cmd and determine your router address by running ipconfig /all can you get a response by pinging it, for example:

ping 192.168.1.1

(yours may be a little different).

Have you tried removing and reinstalling the ethernet drivers?

If removing and reinstalling the ethernet drivers does not resolve things -- it's time to talk to HP about warranty support.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-can-connect-on-any-wireless-network-but-can-not-get-online-if-directly-connected.636142/
Relevancy 79.98%

Router: Dlink WBR 2310

Setup -> internet --> modem --> router -->pc(wired to router)

connecting directly to the modem gives me speeds of 4200kbps d/l and 700kbps u/l. Page loading is instant

connecting to the router gives me 4200 kbps d/l and 95 kbps u/l. Page loads are slow (15 seconds)

Any ideas, i've tried searching for someone with the same problem(perhaps not putting in correct terms) and also looked for help on optimizing my routers configuration.

Where can I start to figure out whats the problem?

Thanks in advance.

Relevancy 78.69%

Just moved in and brought my ADSL wifi modem Belkin F1PI241EGau with me, but over here there is cable and the provider supplied me with their modem motorola Surfboard SB5101E. I would like to connect these two to use the wifi. Would that be possible?

Thank you

A:Can i connect my adsl2/2+ wifi modem/router to cable modem?

Not really. The ADSL router doesn't have the correct WAN interface. You need a standard router with an Ethernet WAN connection.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-i-connect-my-adsl2-2-wifi-modem-router-to-cable-modem.820259/
Relevancy 77.4%

I recently purchased a Belkin Double N Wireless Router F D au Router I have a HP netbook running Windows XP Pro which can connect to the router both wirelessly Cannot Connect Directly to Belkin Router PC or via cable connection I also have a desktop PC running Windows Bit Ultimate with Cannot Directly Connect PC to Belkin Router a Marvel Cannot Directly Connect PC to Belkin Router Yukon E Gigabit Ethernet connection I have been unable to get the desktop PC to communicate reliably with the Belkin Router if i connect directly i e connect ethernet cable from PC directly to Router however i have found that if i connect the PC to a hub and then connect the hub to the router the connection is fast and stable When i connect directly the computer will hang and run very slowly Looking at the task manager when this occurs I can find no process that is consuming any large quantity of processor time While the hub solution works it is not elegant and i would much prefer to connect directly I have updated the PC s ethernet driver to the latest version without any success I have spoken to Belkin s tech support who say it is a computer issue and their router is working fine Does anyone have any ideas how to proceed nbsp

A:Cannot Directly Connect PC to Belkin Router

Sounds like the adapter could be having trouble auto-syncing a speed with the router. Try a different cable (remember that gigabit uses all 8 wires while 100 Mbps uses only 4).

Second, try different router LAN ports.

Third, in Device Manager right click the ethernet - Properties - Advanced - try setting the "Speed & Duplex" property to 1000 Mbps full duplex and 100 Mbps full duplex.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-directly-connect-pc-to-belkin-router.920364/
Relevancy 77.4%

Alright back again with another computer issue.

This time it's with a new bought Gigabyte GA-990FTXA-UD3. I've got everything working apart from this. It's my internet connection. Using the integrated network card obviously and the computer does not even respond to it when im connecting it.

Does anybody know what could be the problem.
And before you ask, Yes i do have reinstalled the OS as well as plugged directly into the modem but does still not work. I've also tried a different internet cable but didn't help either
You can find my spec's down below.

A:No ethernet cable connected

Legaia:

Have you checked the properties of the card? If the drivers for the card are installed, (normally comes with motherboard) and the card does not show up then your motherboard could be defective. OR, if it does show up and not working, it could be that the os turned off the network card. On the properties of the card, there is a power management tab that if not unchecked, windows could turn the card off.

So give that a shot.

Rich

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/172972-no-ethernet-cable-connected.html
Relevancy 77.4%

I need my wireless router several more feet away than one cable will allow. One computer plugs in, and one is wireless; so that means I would need 2 or 3 ethernet cables plugged into the router. I have one very long cable so I was thinking I could run it to the wireless router where I need it, and have the non-wireless router by the computer that needs to be plugged in and run a cable from that to the computer as well as have the long cable plugged in and run that to the wireless router. Make sense? Would that work?

Thanks.

A:Can I plug an ethernet cable into one router, then another cable in another router?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-i-plug-an-ethernet-cable-into-one-router-then-another-cable-in-another-router.819099/
Relevancy 76.54%

I am wondering if its possible to connect my HP 6200 officejet printer directly to my router via USB so I don't have to carry my laptop downstairs to connect it each time I want to use it?

My desktop that it was direct connected to is busted right now and I'm in the process of fixing it. I'm looking for a temporary solution to my problem.

Relevancy 76.54%

I use a cable modem Motorola Surfboard SBV and an ASUS router RT-N E If I remove the router and try to connect my modem connect Can't is router to directly unplugged after comptuer directly through the modem I get limited connectivity and it can't connect If I plug the router back in the setup my connection is fine kinda of because my rotuer gives me some errors from time to time I've read that it might have something to do with MAC adresses I have the mac adress of my ethernet card from cmd - gt ipconfig all What do I need to do with it I feel that my network runs better directly from the modem and I don't need the wifi up all the time That's why I want to connect through modem only Can't connect directly to modem after router is unplugged And my routers gives me some error about not setting the right connection type static automatic which I can't get rid of If it matters two days ago a friend asked me to test with newly bought router I replaced my own with it and got his running Then I swapped back my own and the problems started to happen I'm begging for help please I rebooted the modem times from the physical button with a needle uninstalled network card drivers and I tried Can't connect directly to modem after router is unplugged many times to unplug the modem from the wall And this is the error my routers gives me I've tried to switch things in the settings but with no succes image

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/394650-cant-connect-directly-modem-after-router-unplugged.html
Relevancy 76.54%

The computer that I use is connected to the internet via wireless and Ethernet.. It has lost the Ethernet connection. How do I get it back? Ethernet cable is connected to the computer as well as the router. Step by step please as I know only a little about networks.

A:Ethernet cable connected but no evidence of........

Hi blockie,

Have you tried moving the ethernet cable to a different port in your router? How about replacing the ethernet cable?

If you've done the above and still didn't work, please provide an an ipconfig /all output for us to review. Here's How.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/296775-ethernet-cable-connected-but-no-evidence.html
Relevancy 76.54%

Last week i decided to move my computers (2). Internet was working fine before i did this. After I moved them I havent been able to connect except for a usb cable. Both computers are using the Windows Vista home premium 32 bit. Before all of this happened I had 2 computers and an Xbox 360 all connected. I have tried everything I can think of and none of it worked. I have charter cable internet and they were able to get on the internet fine using the ethernet cable. when i go to ipconfig/all it gives me a 169.254.216.245 IP address. I have read several places where people have been having problems with this but all the suggestions for them nothing worked for me! Please help

A:Cannot connect to internet using Ethernet Cable but can connect with USB cable

Do you connect via a modem or a router. Did you try the release/renew options when you were in ipconfig ?
If you use a router check it to see if it's still giving out IP's automatically.

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/239670-cannot-connect-internet-using-ethernet-cable-but-can-connect-usb-cable.html
Relevancy 75.68%

Hello I am a newby so please bear with me I have been having a huge problem for awhile now I have a Linksys WRT GS router and a DSL modem The modem is working correctly as I checked it with Verizon The router appears to be configured correctly However the computer cannot connect through the router or directly through the LAN and modem I have tried flushing the DNS to no avail Here is my quot ipconfig all quot info Perhaps someone can help me as I am not that proficient in computer matters Thanks Microsoft Windows XP Version C Copyright - Microsoft Corp C Documents and Settings Dad gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name JesseS Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Ethernet adapter Local Area modem to not directly to Computer DSL through or does connect internet router Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Intel R PRO VE Network Connecti on Physical Address - -E -C - - F Dhcp Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration IP Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway PPP adapter smtp verizon net Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description WAN PPP SLIP Interface Physical Address - - - - - Dhcp Enabled No IP Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Disabled C Documents and Settings Dad gt nbsp

A:Computer does not connect to internet through router or directly to DSL modem

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-does-not-connect-to-internet-through-router-or-directly-to-dsl-modem.602766/
Relevancy 75.68%

I'm trying to hook up a Siemens Speedstream 4100 and a Linksys E2500. The internet works fine when I plug the modem directly into the computer. When I try to run it through the router, though, the router install appears to work right but I get a message saying that my internet connection might not be working.

I power-cycled everything - unplugged all the cords and waited 20 minutes before restarting. No dice.

It sounds like putting my modem in bridge mode might be the move? When I type in 192.168.0.1, I get a message that says "Server says: Linksys E2500." It also wants login information, and I'm not sure what that would be.

Any help would be appreciated!

A:Solved: Can't connect to internet through router, but can directly through modem

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-cant-connect-to-internet-through-router-but-can-directly-through-modem.1093653/
Relevancy 75.68%

Hi After moving to a new home I'm having trouble getting a wired connection working Same modem and router as the previous home same PC Different ISP but both are Shaw cable re-packagers router CISCO Linksys E Factory Reset with latest firmware modem THOMPSON DCM wifi disabled) Wifi Ethernet Works, doesn't (even with motherboard SAPPHIRE Pure Black P Hydra USB adapter USB wifi Dlink DWA- Operating system Windows Ethernet Adapter Marvell Yukon E Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller latest driver version I have only a PC and an android connected occasionally and android tablet as well Wifi Works, Ethernet doesn't (even with wifi disabled) The PC can connect via wifi if ethernet is disabled and then modem router PC restarted but I can't seem to figure out a way to get the ethernet connection to work I've tried DHCP and Static IP configurations and I've tried connecting the ethernet directly to the modem instead of the router but to no avail I believe I've managed at times to access the router from the PC only with static IP but never the internet as well I've tried cat cables as well Here are some pictures with more details of my config I've been banging my head against this for hours can anyone see what I'm missing

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/399637-wifi-works-ethernet-doesnt-even-wifi-disabled.html
Relevancy 75.68%

The little icon on the bottom right corner pc says internet access but i cant connect at all. The modem is connected to the router. I set up the wireless connection and no internet access on my wireless tablet. Sometimes the little right corner pc shows limited connectivity. Any idea whats wrong? It was fine a few hours ago.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/40504-laptop-connected-ethernet-cable-but-cant-access.html
Relevancy 75.68%

I have a computer here that will not boot if the ethernet cable is connected. It will stall out on the bios splash screen. If you disconnect the cable and try again, it will boot fine and you can then attach the cable and have networking. It will then lock up ramdomly and you have to repeat the whole thing.
The cable looked strained, so I replaced it to no avail. Tried reinstalling the drivers for the on board LAN adapter and that didn't work either. Added a network PCI card, disabled the on board and all is fine.
Maybe someone could shed some light as to how an faulty Ethernet adapter would actually stop the POST when the cable is plugged in? Shouldn't it just skip it?

thanks,
Spline

A:Computer will not boot when ethernet cable connected

Do you have PXE boot enabled or the boot order set to boot from the NIC first?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-will-not-boot-when-ethernet-cable-connected.698932/
Relevancy 75.68%

This computer i own Cable connected will not stay Modem/Ethernet has worked fine for a long time now so has my Cable Modem/Ethernet will not stay connected isp and cable modem until recently weeks Cable Modem/Ethernet will not stay connected ago the cable modem started to disconnect on a almost perfect timing About once a hour If i take the power cord and unplug it let it sit then re-plug in its fine for another hour So ive called the isp they replaced the modem no good Called them again they told me it was a hardware or software issue So i rollback with system restore to two days before the problem cable modem stays online like it used to The only thing i had deleted or added to the system at this time were Old version of adobe acrobat Lord of the Rings online free trial Since it will stay on after a rollback i know its not the NIC card but i cant for the life of me figure out were the error is coming from Talking to the ISP tech guy they can ping the modem and its alive but when i ping back it times out Any advice would be nice If i cannot find a solution im just going to reformat back to factory settings which at this point would be alot easier but im a stubborn fella Oh i have run full system scan with CA virus anti spyware provided by my isp i also have run Spybot I did find these entries Mirc nHTMLn FakeCD Downloader-AK Even after removal in safe mode the problem still persist s with the modem until i rollback Thanks ahead of time Jeremy nbsp

Relevancy 75.68%

Hello all - first post My internet worked fine for months until about - weeks ago I stopped grabbing a connection The link light on my modem Linksys CM doesn't show a connection though it says I'm online Win says I don't have an ethernet cable connected and I've tried different cables all known good and tested and still nothing I've added a PCI network adapter known good stripped - ethernet lies! Win7 cable connected no it says is from my other PC and still nothing Both the onboard and the PCI card will show lights and my PS wireless as well as wired can even connect to my computer and stream music and movies Win still says no ethernet cable Win7 says no ethernet cable is connected - it lies! and limited connectivity If I bypass the router and home run from wall gt modem gt PC I don't even get limited connectivity If I have the link light rare Win7 says no ethernet cable is connected - it lies! and doesn't necessarily mean I'm connected to the internet and I power Win7 says no ethernet cable is connected - it lies! cycle either the modem or the router I lose the link end of story Any idea what's going on If Win says I have no ethernet cable connected why can my PS see my computer's files All drivers are installed properly and according to Win are functioning fine I'm at a loss as to what to do Could there be a problem that popped up overnight with my install Wiping and a fresh install is definitely on the books at this point

A:Win7 says no ethernet cable is connected - it lies!

From what i understand you've doubled checked the ethernet cable from the router --> PC.
Have you tried checking the cable from the router --> modem?

The router itself could possibly be the issue.

When you bypass the router all together, what happens? Im a bit confused, No internet access at all that way either?

Have you tried:
Unplugging the power from both the router and modem, wait 45 seconds and reboot them.
Then after the reboot, run a network diagnostics.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/102411-win7-says-no-ethernet-cable-connected-lies.html
Relevancy 75.68%

hello guys I installed the same device but it s working fine i installed one succesfully working fine and when i go to other dsl line or other connection and i use the same model but diff mac address This message below appeared when i installed setup wizard from the CD setup of device WAG G and i tried bridge mode only I check the line connection is properly connected but still below message Please help Your ethernet cable does not appear to be connected properly error Etherner Cable not connected Follow these steps Make sure the ethernet cable from your computer is securely connected to a LAN port on the back of your gateway Make sure the power cable from your new gateway is securely connected and the lights on the front of your gateway are flashing Click Retry to try installing your gateway again i saw in device WAG G that the connection is green color under ADSL light it means the line is activated to the DSL My question is if u can see the ADSL green light on the device it is possible appear Help: to Your be properly connected ethernet cable not Solved: does also that the quot gateway quot is not possible connected nbsp

A:Solved: Help: Your ethernet cable does not appear to be connected properly

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-help-your-ethernet-cable-does-not-appear-to-be-connected-properly.824179/
Relevancy 75.68%

Hi

i have an E-system 3115 laptop and have managed to connect to the internet using an ethernet cable to my Scientific Atlanta modem, but what i want to do is connect the ethernet cable to my Belkin Wireless G+ MIMO router and go online wirelessly.

I'm having problems doing this as it only seems to work when the cable is plugged into the laptop.

Thank you if you can help me.

A:Laptop only works when connected with ethernet cable

Have you disabled all encryption on the modem and tried to connect that way? Does the laptop connect to any other wireless networks? Does a wired connection work when you connect to the router and not the modem?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-only-works-when-connected-with-ethernet-cable.838220/
Relevancy 75.68%

I Connected internet but ethernet access through no cable will try to explain my situation as best I could I have a desktop running windows XP Professional Connected through ethernet cable but no internet access x SP and my network adapter is a Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller The desktop is connected to the network with an ethernet cable Here is my problem Up until yesterday the internet connectivity just stopped working I am seeing a very low number of received Connected through ethernet cable but no internet access packets as opposed to the high number when it was working It is showing that it is connected to the network but I still can t access the internet Also I should mention that the desktop is at work and it is connected to a DHCP server that assigns IP addresses I have updated all the drivers and I have used Winsock Fix and Netsh but it still isn t working However the weird thing is that if assign a static IP address to it it works But I can t do this because I am not suppose to hook it up to the ports assigned to the switch for static IP s It has to be connected to the DHCP switch Why does it work when assigned a static but not if it gets an IP assigned by the DHCP server or switch Also even if I try to reset renew or release the IP when I connect again it still gives me the same IP It wont change Sorry if i m not explaining too well Again this is why i m asking for help i m not too good with these things TIA to anyone and everyone who can give me any ideas I ll try them all and i ll post back if it helps Thanks again nbsp

A:Connected through ethernet cable but no internet access

Make sure the following services are Started (Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services).

DHCP Client
DNS Client
Network Location Awareness
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

IPCONFIG /ALL

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/connected-through-ethernet-cable-but-no-internet-access.1056583/
Relevancy 75.25%

A nbsp W Lenovo Thinkpad Windows -bit It has been working until yesterday the first day at southern California - Cox provided a NETGEAR modem router has dual band for WIFI say Band and Band - Tried both bands are Windows are unable to connecto xxx or show as Connected in WIFI list but saied no internet access and a nbsp yellow star on top of WIFI bar in lower right corner - Tried all four combination of WPA -Personal WPA-Personal AES and TKIP - Plugged in wire directly from router while had WIFI turned OFF got currently connect to xxx no internet access Same thing while WIFI is ON nbsp Is the modem router working nbsp Yes all other laptops and wireless devices using the same router modem connected no problem wired or wireless nbsp Brought the laptop to not Ethernet Wifi connected Both and a COX center staffs there are very helpful connected to a diff router repeated the same steps still the same result nbsp We also checked nbsp Device Manager at Both Ethernet and Wifi not connected Control Panel Networking showing everything working Both Ethernet and Wifi not connected properly Even tried disable then enable the corresponding NIC warm-boot cold-boot same nbsp

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/Both-Ethernet-and-Wifi-not-connected/td-p/3421751
Relevancy 75.25%

Hopefully this is the correct thread I'm years old so patience please I was able to enjoy blistering speed mbs down mbs up My old Dell all-in-one went belly up and I had to purchase a new computer This coincided with a problem with the BT Infinity broadband where a connection in the box up the street came loose Now repaired BT assure me all is OK to our premises and therefore the problem is mine Our speed is now hovering around mbs down mbs up This seems to make difference sometimes especially when both my wife and I are streaming - her to PC and me to iPad to TV via Apple box The funny thing is the supposedly ethernet connected PC is giving similar speed results to those of the iPad That prompted me to wonder PC or connected ethernet? Is wifi my via whether the desktop PC may be connected via wifi or both wifi and ethernet and perhaps causing a conflict somewhere I only need wifi on the desktop to connect to our printer which is always quot found quot when required In a nutshell is there a simpleton's way to check when I am connected to the BT Home hub using both wifi and ethernet and if both which one takes precedence Thanks

A:Is my PC connected via wifi or ethernet?

It may be that Wi-Fi and Ethernet are not the issue but the speed from the Modem to the WAN/Wide Area Network or known as the Internet. Wi-Fi and Ethernet are usually the connection between computers/devices and the Router which is then connected to the Modem to gain Internet access. The Modem and Router may be in the same box.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/62525-my-pc-connected-via-wifi-ethernet.html
Relevancy 75.25%

A nbsp W Lenovo Thinkpad Windows -bit It has been working until yesterday the first day at southern California - Cox provided a NETGEAR modem router has dual band for WIFI say Band and Band - Tried both bands are Windows are unable to connecto xxx or show as Connected in WIFI list but saied no internet access and a nbsp not Both and Ethernet Wifi connected yellow star on Both Ethernet and Wifi not connected top of WIFI bar in lower right corner - Tried all four combination of WPA -Personal WPA-Personal AES and TKIP - Plugged in wire directly from router while had WIFI turned OFF got currently connect to xxx no internet access Same thing while WIFI is ON nbsp Is the modem router working nbsp Yes all other laptops and wireless devices using the same router modem connected no problem wired or wireless nbsp Brought the laptop to a COX center staffs there are very helpful connected to a diff router repeated the same steps still the same result Both Ethernet and Wifi not connected nbsp We also checked nbsp Device Manager at Control Panel Networking showing everything working properly Even tried disable then enable the corresponding NIC warm-boot cold-boot same nbsp

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-Legacy-Laptops-A-I-V/Both-Ethernet-and-Wifi-not-connected/td-p/3421751
Relevancy 74.82%

Laptop less than 3 years old.Cant connect to Eir network without using the Ethernet connecting cable connected from modem to laptop.Once every few days it will connect for a few minutes without that cable conncted,but network connection then drops out .Battery always charged.Wi-Fi light on top of keybord always comes on blue light.Thanks.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/Can-access-internet-when-yellow-Ethernet-cable-connected/td-p/5834176
Relevancy 74.39%

I am wondering if there is any way to have a computer automatically disable WiFi when I plug it in via Ethernet. Then when I unplug the Ethernet cord it will enable Wireless again. Aka:

I have WiFi turned on.
I'm at my house connected to my WiFi.
I plug in Ethernet cord and it automatically switches to the wired connection.
Then if I unplug Ethernet it will automatically switch back to the wireless connection.

I do not understand scripts or how to use them ):

A:Disable WiFi When Connected via Ethernet?

Hi there are a few suggestions here How to disable wireless when Ethernet plugged in - Geeks to Go Forums

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/disable-wifi-when-connected-via-ethernet-586418.html
Relevancy 74.39%

How do you know which one is it gonna choose when you're connected with both wired and wireless? Is there some type of "test" it does to take the better connection? Or does it like pick randomly? Alternate?

A:When connected both ethernet and WiFi, which does it choose?

If you are using the same ISP to connect to the Ethernet and WiFi then you should choose one of them only. Ethernet would be my first choice if the Router is nearby and the computer is not connected by a very long wired cable.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/221481-when-connected-both-ethernet-wifi-does-choose.html
Relevancy 74.39%

Hi Could you please tell me if this is possible:
My computer is connected to a wireless network. Can I hook up my D-link (DIR-412) to my computer and use the internet from the computer to output another wireless area?

Thanks sounds complicated.

A:Connected to WIFI and want to extend wifi with another wireless router

Where you live is your setup like this?

Internet
Modem
WiFi Router

or

Internet
Modem with built-in WiFi Router

If you want extend the WiFi you would get WiFi Access Point. Or you can take a WiFi Router and disable NAT, SPI, DCHP, then you create a static IP address. 192.168.x.50

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/connected-to-wifi-and-want-to-extend-wifi-with-another-wireless-router.199845/
Relevancy 73.96%

i've ruled out over-heating and drivers are all up to date with no conflicts, apart from that annoying microsoft 6to4 driver that always shows up as a problem

virus/worms/spyware seem clean too, any suggestions?

A:Laptop rebooting randomly when connected to internet via Ethernet cable

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-rebooting-randomly-when-connected-to-internet-via-ethernet-cable.904133/
Relevancy 73.96%

Basically what happened before: After updating to Windows 10, my computer was not showing any network options. (The icon says "Not connected - No connections are available) Going into Control Panel/Network and Internet/Network Connections, it then says "Local Area Connection Network cable unplugged". I ran diagnostics and it said to plug in the ethernet cable to the network adaptor. So my wifi connection will not work with my laptop unless directly connected to by the ethernet cable. Wifi works fine with phones, ipods/ipads, and another laptop that was also updated to windows 10/a desktop still using windows 8.

A:Wifi not connecting without Ethernet cable

If you can't connect with Wi-Fi plugging in an Ethernet cable is bypassing the wireless entirely. Have you checked Control Panel, Device Manager [or right-click the Start button and choose Device Manager], see if maybe you need to download then install drivers for your Wireless Network adapter? Check the Network work section, are there any yellow symbols there? Is the Wireless adapter listed? If so maybe it needs to have the drivers updated, right-click and make the choice while still connected. The downside to Upgrading to Win10 is the "it worked in Win7 w/SP1 or Win8.1" doesn't guarantee it works in Win10 without updating drivers that Microsoft may not yet have available, they usually come from the manufacturer of devices.

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/18262-wifi-not-connecting-without-ethernet-cable.html
Relevancy 73.96%

Is there somewhere in Windows XP, 7, and 8 to have it use the ethernet cable only when plugged in even with WiFi enabled or connected?

A:Prefer ethernet cable over WiFi?

When my Ethernet cable is plugged into the modem, it automatically supercedes wireless connection.

I.E. - When using PS3, I plug in cable and that is the one that is recognized - if I unplug it, wireless takes over.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/339871-prefer-ethernet-cable-over-wifi.html
Relevancy 73.96%

Okay so my desktop is connected to the network by wifi to the wireless N plus B and G router It connects to the internet fine and dandy Possible iPhone's the connected that net? computer is to connect wifi to wifi by to My iPhone can connect to the router but drops the wifi signal most of the time It doesn t seem Possible to connect iPhone's wifi to computer that is connected by wifi to the net? to want to hold the connection because of either distance Possible to connect iPhone's wifi to computer that is connected by wifi to the net? or interference from the wall or whatever What Possible to connect iPhone's wifi to computer that is connected by wifi to the net? I want is to connect the iPhone s wifi to the computer for a stronger connection But I don t want to move the router because it s centrally located and my office is kinda further away from it Equipment computer n wireless USB adapter connected to computer g wireless PCI adapter connected to computer n router connected to internet iPhone with b g connectivity Is it possible to do this I know what people have done it with one wired connection and a wireless connection from the computer But can it be done with TWO wireless adapters connected to the computer Thanks in advance for any replies PS I know it d be easier to just use the computer to browse the internet since I d be in the office anyway but I work as a D modeler and alot of times I m testing renders for scenes and such and can t stop the render without losing the progress If I browse while it s rendering it s possible I can crash the computer because of the heavy resources the D engine is already using nbsp

A:Possible to connect iPhone's wifi to computer that is connected by wifi to the net?

Doesn't hurt (except maybe your time) to try. Get an ad-hoc wireless network working between computer and iPhone (using dynamic addressing). Then in Network Connections bridge the two wireless connections.

If it doesn't work, show the following for the computer before you bridge and when you have the bridge.

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
(For Vista type CMD in the Search box after Start)

IPCONFIG /ALL

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/possible-to-connect-iphones-wifi-to-computer-that-is-connected-by-wifi-to-the-net.810596/
Relevancy 73.53%

hello everyone I recently bought a dell inspiron laptop and I am able to connect to internet using my broadband ISP username and password and they had provided their own modem which works like a charm But as soon as I try access connected limited and wifi ethernet but to connect my laptop to LAN using the Ethernet cable in my room it says wifi and ethernet connected but limited access quot LIMITED CONNECTIVITY quot and while fetching the details of connection it shows - IPV - NO INTERNET ACCESS AND IPV NO INTERNET ACCESS though it shows large amount of data sent and received and hence I am not able to surf internet All my frnds are able to do the same using their laptops in my room NOTE- LAN GETS CONNECTED USING THE ETHERNET CABLE IN MY HOUSE THE MODEM WORKS FINE AS OTHER FRIENDS ARE ABLE TO SURF and as for the wifi it scans for networks and shows limited connectivity and I cannot access net BEING A STUDENT I AM GOING MAD PLEASE HELP ME I HAVE ALSO UPLOADED IPCONFIG TXT

A:wifi and ethernet connected but limited access

This might be able to help you.

Limited Or No Connectivity Errors in Windows - How To Fix

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/34027-wifi-ethernet-connected-but-limited-access.html
Relevancy 73.53%

I thought that this question is silly. I've never had to worry about my smart phone using my cell data when wifi is clearly connected. This seems not to be the case on win 10. The moment I connect cell modem, it starts sending data as fast as its 3G speed can do. All I wanted to do is to check any SMS on it. I know there's metered connection for wifi but why not for cell? Any solution to always rank cell low when win wants internet so much?

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/58647-how-not-use-cell-data-when-wifi-ethernet-connected.html
Relevancy 73.53%

I'm new to this site and need some help maybe I'm in the right section to get my ? answered. My wifi works on my laptop but when I plug my cable in it doesn't recognize it

A:My Lap Top Doesn't Recognize My Ethernet Cable

Ensure the cable works with another computer. If not, try a new cable.

Once you know the cable and whatever you are plugging to works, make sure your ethernet card is enabled. Assuming you are using a Windows computer:
- In the top right hand corner, right click either the wifi, which is a bunch of bars or the computer looking icon
- Select Open Network and sharing Center
- On the right hand side, select change adapter settings
- Make sure all of them are enabled, most notably the Local Area Connection

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-lap-top-doesnt-recognize-my-ethernet-cable.1113676/
Relevancy 73.1%

I'm running 8.1. In some hotels I access their wifi and the icon says connected, but its not. No splash screen or anything. Other hotels and places I connect without any trouble when the icon says connected. What can I do? I deleted previous connections
that I will not use again.

Thank you.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/0c54b3d8-8db7-4c83-8310-26720ff69f46/unable-to-connect-in-some-hotels-even-though-the-wifi-icon-says-connected-but-can-connect-fine-in?forum=w8itpronetworking
Relevancy 73.1%

Hey guys This issue is most puzzling to me Since yesterday the internet began to act unsoundly through WiFi As in I never had this problem before There were periods where it was fast enough to play some online games watch Youtube no problem and then it would shut off randomly So since yesterday I have been restarting the modem with only very short term resolutions to the issue I accessed the modem through my web browser and it says the connection is always working fine Despite that I called my ISP and they claimed there was an issue and forwarded it to Deutsche Telekom Since then I did some experimenting and plugged my computer into the modem with the ethernet cable Boom No problem whatsoever It's been top speed and reliable So I'm assuming this is an issue with Windows hopefully you guys can help me out If it helps I downloaded and installed updates for Windows today There are optional ones that I did not download yet but I did is Wifi unstable, top is ethernet speed? cable yet download and install the important ones Wifi is unstable, yet ethernet cable is top speed? no problem I checked the network adapters and they all state quot The best driver for your software is already installed quot Thanks in advance

A:Wifi is unstable, yet ethernet cable is top speed?

You may want to go to the website of the laptop's manufacturer and download the latest driver, and install it. Using the OEM driver, sometimes eliminates the problem.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/39958-wifi-unstable-yet-ethernet-cable-top-speed.html
Relevancy 73.1%

I have Lenovo laptop and my internet works just fine when the cable is connected but Wifi does not work It shows that i have excellent signal on the side but it just wont connect When i type with Wifi not cable Laptop works Ethernet but in password it says quot Windows cannot connect to XYZ quot I use Windows and my wireless network adapter is Atheros AR C Users MY gt IPCONFIG ALL Windows IP Configuration Host Name MY-PC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List local lan Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Anchorfree HSS VPN Adapter Physical Address -FF- -D - -DE DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter Physical Address -F -A -FA-B - DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Laptop works with Ethernet cable but not Wifi Suffix Description Atheros AR Wireless Network Adapter Physical Address -F -A -FA-B - DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Bluetooth Device Personal Area Network Physical Address C -CB- -FC-E - DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix local lan Description Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller Physical Address -AE- D-DE- A- B DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe d af d Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Friday November AM Lease Expires Friday November PM Default Gateway fe ff fe b DHCP Server DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IPv Address d ab c f ca f fefd Pref erred Link-local IPv Address fe c f ca f fefd Preferred Default Gateway NetBIOS over Tcpip Disabled Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft to Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap D DE-EF - E -A B -BB A C F Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap local lan Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix local lan Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap AAE A - - DAF-AE E- BA B CACF Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap CC - - - -EAF D Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Here s a screenshot of what it shows nbsp

Relevancy 73.1%

Hi there,

So in the past my laptop has been able to connect directly to the internet using an Cat5e cable, but recently when I have been trying to direct connect, I have been unable to, and not sure when the problem started because I always used WiFi and it worked great. I do a lot of messing around, not only with my network, but with my laptop settings also, so something might have gone bunko. I have done much troubleshooitng, such as trying to update drivers, checking to see if the hardware was disabled, etc... And I am out of ideas! Please, anything helps!

A:Ethernet Cable Not Recognized by Laptop, but Wifi is

can we see an ipconfig /all
ipconfig /all
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here

We would like to see the results from ipconfig /all post back the results in a reply here

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD then press Enter to open a command prompt box (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

ipconfig /all > network.txt & network.txt

It will export the results to notepad and then automatically open notepad.

Now all you need to do is copy and paste those results to a reply here
to do that:
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Select all
all the text will be highlighted
Next
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Copy
Now go back to the forum - reply and then right click in the reply box and paste

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ethernet-cable-not-recognized-by-laptop-but-wifi-is.1059231/
Relevancy 73.1%

Hi, i have been experiencing BSODs for 3 days not. At first it started when I connected to WiFi, so i switched to ethernet cable. Now it crashes when i am using the ethernet cable as well. I tried searching for solutions but i don't understand much about computers. I have the minidump file but i don't know how to show them here. I tried using driver verifier and now it crashes every 20 minutes without even connecting to the internet. I cant put my computer into safe mode, it reboots even if i press shift +f8 and i cant create recovery disk. Can anyone please help me solve this.

A:BSOD when connecting to wifi and using ethernet cable

At one point during the repeated boots you should get a prompt to try startup/automatic repair.
You can also try forcing a restart when the little spinning dial is at the bottom of boot screen (by holding down the power button)
Select that, and then you can select Safe Mode to boot into.

Try each one of the options here: Safe Mode - Start Windows 8 in
If you still can't get into Safe Mode, you can always boot using your recovery media in order to access Startup Repair.

The very first thing to do in Safe Mode is to disable Driver Verifier
To do this, open up verifier.exe and select "Delete existing settings". Then click on Finish and reboot to let the changes take effect.

To upload the minidump file, zip it up and then upload it using the Attachments tool below the reply box.

http://www.eightforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/63057-bsod-when-connecting-wifi-using-ethernet-cable.html
Relevancy 73.1%

Hi,

I have this problem that my laptop connects to internet only via WiFi and not through LAN cable. Although this is not a major issue for me but I wonder why this happens? would appreciate and assistance in sorting this out.

Thanks

A:Laptop works only on WiFi and not when connected via Lan Cable

For an attempted ethernet connection ...

IPCONFIG /ALL

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-works-only-on-wifi-and-not-when-connected-via-lan-cable.1110313/
Relevancy 72.67%

This is a recent problem. My computer doesn't want to connect to the internet via ethernet, however it will connect via wireless to the same network. Other computers on this network connect to the internet just fine. Any help on this is sincerely appreciated.

A:Internet doesn't connect via Ethernet but does connect wireless Win7

Other computers on this network connect to the internet just fine. Click to expand...

Connected by etherent ?
Have you also tried the same cable and port with a different PC

It maybe a security suite blocking - do you have Norton , McAfee etc

post a ipconfig /all and ping tests when connected by ethernet cable only
{ipconfig /all}
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here
We would like to see the results from ipconfig /all post back the results here
-> Start
-> (XP - enter the following in the RUN box)
cmd /k ipconfig /all
-> (Vista or Windows 7 - enter the following in the Search box)
cmd /k ipconfig /all

A black box will appear on the screen -
rightclick in the box
select all
enter
control key + C key - to copy

then reply here and
control key + V to paste
{Ping Tests}

Start> Run {search bar in Vista}> CMD to open a DOS window and type:

Type the following command
Ping {plus the number thats shown against the default gateway shown in above ipconfig /all}
Post back the results
rightclick in the box
select all
enter
then reply here and
control key + V to paste

Ping google.com
Post back the results
rightclick in the box
select all
enter
then reply here and
control key + V to paste

Ping 209.183.226.152
post back results
rightclick in the box
select all
enter
then reply here and
control key + V to paste

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/internet-doesnt-connect-via-ethernet-but-does-connect-wireless-win7.972841/
Relevancy 72.67%

I recently moved into the dorms of my college and tried connecting my laptop to the internet using an ethernet cable. It worked, so I decided to try and play Xbox Live through the use of the ethernet cable and it did not work. After messing around with it and failing to get it to work for my Xbox 360, the ethernet decided to quit working for my computer as well. The "Local Area Connection" isn't there when the cable is unplugged and only shows up for a second when it it plugged in and disappears. If I click on it fast enough, it shows up with an Error Code 45 after looking at the properties. I have tried typing in ipconnfig /all and the ethernet connection doesn't show up there either. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it. If you need any more details, just ask.

A:Computer Doesn't Detect Ethernet Cable

Interesting note; I tried connecting with a new ethernet cable again (with no success), however, if I click on the local area connection that the ethernet cable creates before it disappears and create a MAC bridge connection with it and my wireless connection, I can get online, with very unstable connectivity. So this method does not work, but I found that doing so actually allows the local area connection to stay shown with the ethernet cable plugged into both my laptop and Xbox 360 with a bridged connection. If I remove the cable, the connection goes away.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/250245-computer-doesnt-detect-ethernet-cable.html
Relevancy 72.67%

Hi First of all I will donate my last shirt to this site if anyone is able to help me with my problem I ve now been trying to Computer ethernet recognise cable doesn't fix my computer for over a week reading dozens of forum posts on the issue replacing things but all with now luck So here is my problem I m running Windows around days ago when I switched on my computer I noticed that I didn t have an internet connection after inspecting the router I noticed that it was simply dead everything else was fine there wasn t a power surge lightning etc After replacing the router I Computer doesn't recognise ethernet cable noticed that my onboard network controller Marvell Yukon E PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller wouldn t recognise any ethernet cable plugged into it There is Computer doesn't recognise ethernet cable two ports and both of them are showing up in the device manager and network settings as working fine I also went into my PC s Bios to confirm that both ports are enabled I have tried numerous fixes like updating the driver firmware uninstalling re-installing drivers disable enable All without success Where it gets really odd last weekend I decided to purchase a new network card assuming that the ports might be faulty however the exact same problem still exists Now one strange note sometimes when switching on the computer the router will briefly have the port led into which the ethernet cable is plugged into flash up and at the same time it will show in the Network Connections as connected on the Local Area Connection This will only last for about a second and then keeps repeating Any help will be highly appreciated nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-doesnt-recognise-ethernet-cable.1170115/
Relevancy 72.67%

I have my ethernet cable plugged in but my computer acts as if nothing is connected. I can still connect to the internet because I have a USB connection on my modem but it's only half the speed without the ethernet cable connected.

I recently had my computer fixed after it had a resolution problem, the screen would go blank but the ethernet cable problem didn't happen before that. I had to format my computer to fix the resolution problem and I installed XP pro, sp2.

Relevancy 72.67%

Where to start so to begin with my issues started when we got a new router We had issues with the old one so we installed a new router and got it working fine WiFi worked alright but Ethernet would not connect it my computer when I ran configuration. have IP doesn't Cable Ethernet valid a the troubleshooter said one or more network Protocols were missing from my computer I'm running windows version I went on google on my laptop to start finding a fix and I must have tried every option in the book just about I am losing my mind over how to fix this Finally I tried reinstalling the Network drive Uninstalling my current one going on google finding my most updated one ect and now the issue is no longer about the protocols but its saying my Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration so Ethernet Cable doesn't have a valid IP configuration. now i'm googling how to fix that and I have had no luck at all i'm at witts end and hope someone can help me Reply to this asking whatever you want me to copy and paste so you can have a better idea on how to help

A:Ethernet Cable doesn't have a valid IP configuration.

Do the following:

Open a Elevated Command Prompt:

Press WIN + X to open Start context menu.
Select Command Prompt (Admin)​.

Paste the following into the Command Prompt window, exactly as shown, including double quotes:

cmd /c "ipconfig /all > postme.txt & ping yahoo.com >> postme.txt & reg query "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings" | find /i "proxy" >> postme.txt & notepad postme.txt & del postme.txt"

and press ENTER.

A file will open in Notepad. Please copy and paste the contents here. Close the Notepad window and the file will be deleted and the Command Prompt window will also close. Post results in a reply here

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/40357-ethernet-cable-doesnt-have-valid-ip-configuration.html
Relevancy 72.24%

Just to start off I am COMPLETELY clueless and have no tech savvy whatsoever so simple language would be appreciated I ve owned this laptop for a little over a year and all this time I ve been able to connect to Wifi without a problem This morning the icon at the bottom left of but Laptop with Ethernet will Wifi, won't cord an to My connect connect the screen told me there was no Internet connection available when I troubleshot it it suggested using the Ethernet cord to connect The Ethernet cord connects them fine and the internet connection becomes available but I m still unable to use the Wifi This is an issue with my laptop because all the other devices My Laptop won't connect to Wifi, but will connect with an Ethernet cord in my house are able to connect to the Wifi and the modem is showing all the appropriate lights and such I ve tried turning it off and on again but alas this once that method has failed I ve also tried resetting the modem and it made no difference Last night I was uninstalling various programs that I didn t need and that s the only thing I ve done differently to my usual computing habits I don t think I removed anything unless I knew what it was but it s possible I accidently removed something important I don t know if that has any relevance or not but it s all I can think of as the reason for this My laptop is a Toshiba Qosmio and the system I use is Windows My modem is Telstra Bigpond Please help D nbsp

A:My Laptop won't connect to Wifi, but will connect with an Ethernet cord

How far from the router are you? I experience the same thing occasionally on my laptop.
I usually have to switch the wifi switch off on the laptop & on then I reboot & I'm back online. My laptop & tower are both about 50' away & on the lower floor where the router is. Good luck.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-laptop-wont-connect-to-wifi-but-will-connect-with-an-ethernet-cord.197531/
Relevancy 72.24%

Hi there I don't like a load of LAN cables everywhere and quot She who must be LAN devices even (via ETHERNET - Bridge) Wifi Cable for free obeyed quot was complaining about number of boxes gadgets flashing lights etc under the TV so I've moved the two servers out of the way and just have the cable box main router so this I found was a really woman friendly solution for masses of LAN cable etc etc If you have fast Wifi and you have some Ethernet only gear connected away from your Router Cablebox you can use a quot Wireless Bridge quot -- It's possible to quot Hobble quot some old routers via DD-WRT but not all routers do that and you might LAN Cable free - even for ETHERNET devices (via Wifi Bridge) want to use fast wifi connectors Some modern cheap routers now allow quot Wireless Bridging quot too You need to set the second router up as your wireless bridge and then plug the LAN cables from your devices into that router which will connect wirelessly to your network I found this Router actually very good -- also works on new ac protocol up to Mbs in the GHZ band so plenty for your server streaming devices IPlugged the NAS'es Ethernet connectors into the lan connects on the quot Bridge Router quot -- works fine This one was EUR inc Tax Edimax BR- AC Wi-Fi Ethernet LAN Dual-band Router - Grey It does work as WIFI Bridge -- you have to LAN Cable free - even for ETHERNET devices (via Wifi Bridge) ensure your router can do that function if you buy LAN Cable free - even for ETHERNET devices (via Wifi Bridge) a new router If you have fast wifi and want to get rid of LAN cables and move boxes like NAS boxes into spare closets etc out of the way then IMO this is the way to go Smart TV's Chromecast etc etc can all be controlled via smart phones too - avoiding a quot Handset jungle quot as well I had to go down this route as she absolutely put her foot down with one single more wire or quot box quot being installed near the main TV Cheers jimbo

A:LAN Cable free - even for ETHERNET devices (via Wifi Bridge)

We hooked a powerline 1200 with gigabit ports up to our tv and it does the job nicely. It lives behind the tv and therefore is out of site. My NAS is also powerlined 1200 connected.

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/43717-lan-cable-free-even-ethernet-devices-via-wifi-bridge.html
Relevancy 72.24%

Hello Without too much information I'm learning how to use network. using Using WIFI between whilst Ethernet Cable devices Beckhoff hardware I have a motor rigged up to a PLC that is programmable via Ethernet using a software called Twincat I'm a hardware person so hooking it up was no problem But I'm venturing out into the world of PLC programming which I'm finding quite new and difficult I use Google YouTube internet services to aid me in learning this The problem is to connect with the PLC my Ethernet port needs to Using Ethernet Cable between devices whilst using WIFI network. be active Whilst connected whilst programming I'd like to connect to the internet via WIFI I've found a multitude of forums with instructions to change the priority of the network connections using metrics and all that but none of the solutions allow me to connect to both Is it really impossible to connect with a device via Ethernet whilst connected to the internet using WIFI I don't know the exact specs for all the different hardware cards on my laptop but its a HP ZBook running windows Much obliged

A:Using Ethernet Cable between devices whilst using WIFI network.

You may need a crossover cable.

How is everything connected ?

A router ? A switch ?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/394041-using-ethernet-cable-between-devices-whilst-using-wifi-network.html