Windows Support Forum

My machine doesn't recognize some USB flash drives

Q: My machine doesn't recognize some USB flash drives

Hello all,
My friend's Windows 7 x64 ultimate machine recognizes some USB flash drives but not some other ones. The types of all are USB2 and also all drivers are installed (device manager). I don't know what is the problem. Is there any idea please?

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: My machine doesn't recognize some USB flash drives

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: My machine doesn't recognize some USB flash drives

USB Device Not Recognized? A Quick Fix For Windows XP/7/8

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-machine-doesnt-recognize-some-usb-flash-drives.202702/
Relevancy 87.11%

Hello all,

My friend's Windows 7 x64 ultimate machine recognizes some USB flash drives but not some other ones. The types of all are USB2 and also all drivers are installed (device manager). I don't know what is the problem. Is there any idea please?

A:My machine doesn't recognize some USB flash drives

I also have done the works of here:
My machine doesn't recognize some USB flash drives - TechSpot Forums

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/332575-my-machine-doesnt-recognize-some-usb-flash-drives.html
Relevancy 79.12%

I am running Windows XP SP3 right now on a Lenovo 7650-ELU and experiencing some odd problems. For some reason, the laptop I have will not recognize USB Flash Drives that I put into it or External Hard Drives. I know that the USB ports work correctly, because I have plugged in optical mouses and keyboards that work. I searched the forums and didn't see anything like this.

It's odd how when I first insert them, it makes the sound and shows the icon in the taskbar that would allow me to safely remove the device, but nothing else. So far, I have gone into the device manager and uninstalled all the USB ports and restarted hoping this would solve my problem, but it continues to do the same thing.

If anyone has some helpful advise, please post. I appreciate all the help.

Cheers!

A:USB Ports Don't Recognize Flash Drives or External Hard Drives

Has it ever worked before?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/usb-ports-dont-recognize-flash-drives-or-external-hard-drives-335404.html
Relevancy 75.25%

i am working on a vista machine that won t recognize a usb flash drive i have tried different brands and they work fine on xp machines when you plug one in you here the deep and get the icon in the task bar that says you can safely remove vista machine recognize won't flash drive but when you go to my computer it isn t there i found a solution on the web about deleting a file that is corrupt i can t find where i wrote this file down right now but under normal windows it won t let me delete it vista machine won't recognize flash drive so i went into safe mode when i got to the file then it tells me i don t have administrator rights even though i am the administrator of the computer i haven t worked with vista much and don t really care to but is the administrator that is built into the os set up different in vista than xp it keeps telling me to enter a password if someone has set an admin password is there a way to get around this this would be the admin account under safe mode also if you have any ideas about why vista won t recognize the flash drives i would appreciate this info too thanks so much nbsp

A:vista machine won't recognize flash drive

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...idden-administrator-account-on-windows-vista/ Read this and try it. let us know. jazz

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-machine-wont-recognize-flash-drive.804740/
Relevancy 74.82%

Hi guys,

I have an USB webcam brand "Viera". When I put it in the PC's USB port the image no.1 appears and the Windows 7 32-bit machine can't recognize it. I tried to use the online driver finding but failed. Also I tried other ports.
When I click on image no.1 the image no.2 appears.
Is there any idea?

A:My machine doesn't recognize my Viera USB webcam

Hi Kurdman,

You might want to check this link.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/314727-my-machine-doesnt-recognize-my-viera-usb-webcam.html
Relevancy 74.39%

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack bit Processor AMD Athlon tm XP x Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card VIA S G UniChrome IGP Mb Hard Drives drives doesn't recognize cd/dvd C Total - MB Free - MB D Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard ASUSTek Computer INC Kelut MB- Antivirus avast Antivirus Updated Yes On-Demand Scanner Enabled It seems doesn't recognize cd/dvd drives strange that both drives stopped working at the same time They don t show up as having a disc installed when I bring up MY COMPUTER gives message quot please installed a disc quot I have not yet opened the case and checked the cables will do that now I have reviewed the thread and if I correctly understood and performed the suggestions I have elimated the drivers and suspect that the problem is with the registery filters I tried to do the registery fix recommended on Microsoft com support but am too dumb to understand how to copy the fix click on it and get it to merge Would appreciate help with that fix nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/doesnt-recognize-cd-dvd-drives.1007557/
Relevancy 73.96%

I plugged in an old computer and wanted to get it working again, but I have not had success in getting it to connect to the internet. I have attempted to follow steps already laid out in this thread to no avail.

Its currently plugged into a router (model SMC70004VBR) on a cable modem. When I ran start > run > command > ipconfig /all, I was given this:

IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . :
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Primary WINS Server . . . . :
Secondary WINS Server . . . :
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . :
Lease Expires . . . . . . . :

Ethernet adapter :

Description . . . . . . . . : HP EN1207D-TX 10/100 Family Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . : 00-10-B5-3D-68-C5
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.101
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
Primary WINS Server . . . . :
Secondary WINS Server . . . :
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . : 07 14 07 5:50:18 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . : 07 21 07 5:50:18 PM

I attempted to try and install a new driver, but I'm not sure if I did it correctly. Any advice as to how I can get this connected to the internet?

Relevancy 73.96%

There are a billion threads about this on F and I still can't seem to resolve my problem The OS was recently installed about days ago or so I have a Logitech USB unifying receiver installed in the rear of the tower which works just fine for my wireless keyboard and mouse However I am unable to read write to any USB drives recognize to flash (All) USB Unable flash drive I have downloaded and installed the USB registry editor to ensure my default setting had not changed somehow This did Unable to recognize USB flash drives (All) not allow me to read any USB drive I have attached two screenshots One shows quot My Computer quot and Unable to recognize USB flash drives (All) how the USB device is not listed on the left On the right it shows the USB device listed under quot Devices and Printers quot but does not allow me to do anything other than view its properties On the bottom right of this screenshot you will see the USB logo where it would typically allow me to eject the drive but that option is not listed The second Unable to recognize USB flash drives (All) screenshot is Device Manager and my USB driver list No problems listed Any and all help is appreciated Thank you EDIT Third screenshot is attached where the USB device shows up in Disk Management as well

A:Unable to recognize USB flash drives (All)

Windows 7 recognize USB stick everytime a connect it as a new device

Frankly, this USB not recognized when inserted problem seems the inverse of not being able to eject a flash drive (just had this a few weeks back and I rarely use USB drives).

Other options: shut down PC and unplug from wall for 2 minutes.

Uninstall each USB device via Device Manager as the USB port is in some unknown/unknowable/inconsistent state.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/205247-unable-recognize-usb-flash-drives-all.html
Relevancy 73.96%

So today i try to plug in one USB won't recognize flash drives. Windows of my mb flash drives for a project that i put on it well i plugged it in Windows won't recognize USB flash drives. i see the windows found new hardware stuff it installs but when i go to access it through my computer it does not show up So i figured well crap one drive down at least i have another one right well when i plug that one in same thing happens and it doesn t show up So i go to my laptop and they both work fine there I m not sure what s wrong because they do appear in device manager but i cannot access them It s not Windows won't recognize USB flash drives. the USB ports because i have a digital camera that works fine with my computer Now i don t know if this is related or not but i noticed that my boot ini file was missing so i just copied it from a different computer and that was fixed I don t know if this is related or not Also i recently loaded a program called Daemon tools to use to mount my cd images i have i use it instead of popping cds in and out all the time and that stopped working about the same time this happened Anyway i m a little bit stumped so any help would be greatly appreciated I won t have time to check this again till tomorrow afternoon so bare with me on that nbsp

Relevancy 73.53%

When I try to use something on Internet Explorer that requires Flash, it always says "Flash Version 9.0 or greater is required..". But I always keep my Flash updated. Right now, it's Flash Player 11. Please Help! What am I missing?

A:IE9 Doesn't recognize Flash

Adobe Flash Player 11.5.502.110 << Check from this download that you have the latest version.Be sure to Untick the Google Add-on at the download -Is there only a particular site that gives you the problem ?? Thank You -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/476003/ie9-doesnt-recognize-flash/
Relevancy 73.53%

I'm on a Dell Dimensions DIM 4600, XP Home, SP2, and it is not recognizing the D and E drives. Can someone out there please tell me how I can resolve this problem? It's not my computer, so I'm being very careful with whatever I do. Thank you.
Alice

A:Computer doesn't recognize D and E drives

What do you think the D and E drives should be? Were they there before? Looked in device manager? disk managment?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-doesnt-recognize-d-and-e-drives.546359/
Relevancy 73.53%

I recently installed windows 7 on my computer. Everything is great with the exception of not being able to see my cd/dvd drives. They do not show up in the device manager or in my computer. I have searched for fixes and tried everything I have found. The MS fixit tool acknowledged the drives were not detected and tried to fix it, but failed. I have also looked in the registry for the upper & lower filters, but they are not listed.

I have:

ASUS P5KPL-CM Motherboard
4GB RAM
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E7400 @ 2.8 GHz
Windows 7 32 bit
Samsung RW
Sony DVD RW
I have spent over 10 hours searching for some way to fix my issue and frastration is at maximum capacity!

PLEASE HELP!!

A:Windows 7 doesn't recognize cd/dvd drives

Have you checked the BIOS? I'm not sure why, but at one time the BIOS on one of my PC's was set to 'Not Available' for one of my drives. I changed that to 'Automatic' and it showed up just fine.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-7-doesnt-recognize-cd-dvd-drives.950133/
Relevancy 73.53%

Hi
I have just put a new ide dvd-rewriter into my computer and my computer doesn't recognize the new dvd drive or an existing cd drive. I cant see them in 'My Computer' or the 'device manager'.
I don't no if this has anything to do with it but at the same time I also installed a new TV tuner into the computer and now I cant run the CD to fully install it.
Any help would be much appreciated
Thanks

A:Computer doesn't recognize my cd and dvd drives

Hi sooty, seems like the cd drive is not getting detected by the computer| Reseat the ide cables from both the ends and then reseat the CMOS battery. Let us know if it works.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/230260-computer-doesnt-recognize-my-cd-dvd-drives.html
Relevancy 73.1%

Hi Folks, I plug in my flash drive and it doesn't register, i look in device manager and i see the yellow triangle next to the flash-drive device, i right click to update the device,it tells me the device driver is up to date, i click on to property's and it say's this device cannot start, code10, any advise would be appreciated,thanks.

A:Pc doesn't recognize flash drive

WPD FileSystem Volume Driver (Error Code 10) - Windows Vista and Windows 7
This post had the same problem and suggest using the device manufactures driver not the Windows default driver

http://www.vistax64.com/drivers/280417-pc-doesnt-recognize-flash-drive.html
Relevancy 72.67%

Hi all,

I'm having a strange problem. My Vista Ultimate x64 all of a sudden can't recognize FAT32 USB drives. I have tried 4 different drives which work on other PCs and a PS3. Every time I get "You need to format the disk in drive X: before you can use it. Do you want to format it?". And if I do select Continue, and then select either regular format for Quick Format it will appear to be trying but at the end always fail with error "Windows was unable to complete the format". However if I insert a NTFS USB drive it works fine. And yes FAT32 was working at the beginning, and I didn't install any suspicious programs. I have only been doing the regular Windows updates.

I've been searching around but have yet to find anything helpful. Your input will be greatly appreciated!!

Diego

A:Vista64 doesn't recognize FAT32 USB drives

Im trying to backup a ps3 too. My first backup attempt is driving me mad. My ps3 wont recognise the hdd and im told it needs to be formatted to FAT32. I dont even know how to do that. I cant see an option to do it. Im missing something somewhere. Its beyond me why a games machine which should be plug and play should be so complicated to backup? Sorry this doesnt answer your question but hopefully someone with give a few pointers

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/266418-vista64-doesnt-recognize-fat32-usb-drives.html
Relevancy 72.67%

I just got two WD Elements USB disk drives I connected the first one and changed it to be the X-Disk I disconnected it WD Recognize Drives Disk W7 Two Elements Doesn't Second of then connected the second disk drive W W7 Doesn't Recognize Second of Two WD Elements Disk Drives thinks it is the first one X-Disk I disconnected the second disk re-connected the first which it remembers as the X-Disk Then I reconnected the second disk while the first one was still connected but W doesn't see it in quot Computer quot So I can't access it But it does know that something else is connected as it does shows up in the eject list in quot opening devices and printers quot in the taskbar - but just with the name of the disk Elements I restarted W but that did not help How do I get it to recognize and remember that these are two different disk drives have them on at the same time and set the second disk drive to W7 Doesn't Recognize Second of Two WD Elements Disk Drives be the Y-Disk I never had this problem with the multiple Samsung disk drives that I have W recognizes and remembers each one individually whether they are connected at the same time or at different times Thank you

A:W7 Doesn't Recognize Second of Two WD Elements Disk Drives

When you connect a disk to windows it writes a signature to the disk if two disk have the same signature it will only mount one drive.. You can see and change signatures with diskpart do you feel OK using that?

http://www.pchelpforum.com/windows-7-a/127583-w7-doesnt-recognize-second-two-wd-elements-disk-drives.html
Relevancy 72.67%

I have a very unclear problem Essentially when I turn my computer on it goes immediately to a screen where it says quot IDE Channel Master None quot and it says that for IDE master IDE slave IDE Master and IDE slave so my computer recognize drives hard Computer doesn't does not recognize that I have any hard drives at all In my BIOS it is the same thing both my drives are IDE I put my drive in another computer where it was found to be quot dirty quot Computer doesn't recognize hard drives by checkdisk but then checkdisk fixed it and it worked in that computer and I could access it and everything But when I put Computer doesn't recognize hard drives it back in my computer it still has the same problem and I have no idea wtf is going on essentiall I ve tried both of my hard drives in this computer and neither of them work and I ve tried them as master and slave individually and together and it still doesn t work Any advice I reset my BIOS already nbsp

Relevancy 72.67%

Hi,

Please help! I am going out of my mind with this problem. I have three hard drives (internal), all formatted NTFS (I have also tried other files systems). The BIOS recognizes all the drives, but, when I try to install Vista (or XP), it tells me there are no drives. What am I doing wrong? What can I do?

Relevancy 72.67%

hey guys. after i switched out my CD-ROM drive, windows stopped recognizing the new CD-ROM drive and one of my 3 hard drives. here's my configuration:
master 1: hard drive C
slave 1: hard drive D
master 2: CD-ROM (new one)
slave 2: hard drive F

the BIOS had both slaves at "off" but i changed it into "auto" and actually recognized every single one of them. but when i log on to windows, on my computer, only C and D show up. the CD ROM and F don't show up. what could be the problem? i've restarted my computer countless amounts of time. I was expecting the new hardware wizard to show up once i replaced the CDROM but that never happened.

any help would be appreciated. thanks.

A:[SOLVED] windows doesn't recognize 2 out of 4 drives

it appears as though i solved my problem. went to the device manager and enabled secondary IDE channel.

you can lock this thread.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-windows-doesnt-recognize-2-out-of-4-drives-249491.html
Relevancy 72.24%

I am looking for the reason why my Compaq laptop Win Home Premium won t recognize new ones not work fine but recognize flash drives does old Computer new flash drives but older ones are They are recognized on Computer does not recognize new flash drives but old ones work fine another computer so I know the flash drives are okay The USB port also recognizes my external hard drive with no problem I ve probably messed up or deleted some setting and or program while trying to get rid of bloat so my computer would operate faster Device Manager shows them under Other Devices with the yellow quot not working quot sign and under properties says quot The drivers for this device are not installed Code quot Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Home Premium Service Pack bit Processor AMD Athlon tm II Dual-Core M AMD Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card AMD M G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB D Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard Hewlett-Packard F Antivirus Norton Internet Security Updated and Enabled nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-does-not-recognize-new-flash-drives-but-old-ones-work-fine.1077335/
Relevancy 72.24%

Hello I'm a first poster here Seems I have given FBI Cyberdivision Virus control of my computer I have Windows XP svs pk My friend DeeJay suggested I try your self help fix for this malware virus I have a much slower older cpu that I hooked up fix FBI doesn't comp virus it flash recognize need for borrowed a brand new memory stick followed directions to load the required program onto the stick The instructions then state to start the infected computer select boot option menu F on my computer and to select removable device which I do and then the next screen says no removable device detected I AM using the computer that has the lock out by toggling on the safe with networking mode I briefly read a couple questions and answers at the microsoft site which hinted I may need to run a fix it wizard to get the machine to recognize the usb comp doesn't recognize flash need it for FBI virus fix Well clearly I can't do that until I get my screen unlocked or will I be able to run something like that in safe mode Am I a candidate for security analysts or am I still in the realm of doing this myself well clearly not by myself if I am asking questions here but you know what I mean LOL Thank you in advance for any insight offered Cathy Sacramento California TnThelpforum com Sandbox Staff Member I think I still am

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/491941/comp-doesnt-recognize-flash-need-it-for-fbi-virus-fix/
Relevancy 71.81%

EQPT:MB ASUS M4N68T-M; CPU AMD Phenom II X2 555; MEM 2X2 2gb DDR3 1333 240pin; HDD; 60gb Plextor SSD, 320gb WD 320gb SATA. Running Dual Boot Ubuntu 10.4 and Windows XP Pro SP3.

Have been trying to solve a problem for more than a week. I have 8 USB outlets, and the ones with keyboard, mouse, printer attached all work fine on any of the 8 outlets. BUT, attach any one of 4 flash drives to any of the 8 outlets, and both Windows and Ubuntu want to format it, although all 4 have data on them, which can be read by other computers.

I have tried many things, including reinstalling both XP and Ubuntu, but nothing works. I have come to the conclusion that whatever it is may be in the Bios, so am considering flashing that; but I'd really not have to do that.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

A:Flash Drives not read by machine.

Try this

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925196

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/421972/flash-drives-not-read-by-machine/
Relevancy 71.81%

Greetings all.

I recently was forced to do a re-install of XP to clean up a few bugs.

The system has 3 hard drives, but since the reinstall, only the C: drive appears. The other two are nowhere to be found.

I've tried mapping to them, but they just don't show up there as a mapping option.

Anyone have any advice? When I added the extra hard drives I didn't have an available slot and did have to create a partition. I no longer have the software I had originally used though. Do I need it to make the 2 other drives visable?

Thanks,

[email protected]

A:Computer Doesn't Recognize Extra Hard Drives

Did you have two other Hard Drives in the box, or did you have partitions on the same drive? . . you may have lost the partitions with the reinstall. If they are two hard drives, were they atttached to a controller card? . . if so, you may need to load drivers for it

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-doesnt-recognize-extra-hard-drives.360788/
Relevancy 71.81%

I am attempting to install Windows 7 on an AlienWare M7700 D900T laptop, but setup will not recognize the hard drives. When first I boot up the laptop the hard drives are clearly detected, IDE busmaster is enabled. But then Windows 7 setup will not detect them. If I select the <Load Drivers> then insert the drivers disc that came with the machine, it also fails to find the appropriate device drivers. Does anyone have a clue as to how I can resolve this issue?

Thanks for any and all responses.

A:Windows 7 Setup Doesn't Recognize Hard Drives

Make sure your BIOS is up to date; if so reset the CMOS: Clear CMOS - 3 Ways to Clear the CMOS - Reset BIOS

While in BIOS setup, set SATA controller to AHCI.

Wipe the HD to try install: SSD / HDD : Optimize for Windows Reinstallation. Use partitioning step 2.2 to format NTFS Primary and mark Active to try install.

Tips for getting a purrfect OEM reinstall: re-install windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/138015-windows-7-setup-doesnt-recognize-hard-drives.html
Relevancy 71.38%

I have two P-III Dell Latitudes which I used for several years, and now would like to remove various files (music, e-mails, etc.) for my files. They use Windows 2000 for the OS, and have USB 2.0 software, and Service pack 4 or 5 windows updates. But the laptops will not recognize either flash drives (2, 4 or 8gb) or external "backup" hard drives, when I plug them in to the USB port. I've tried uninstalling and re-installing the USB software, with no luck.

What am I doing wrong, here??

A:Win2k laptop doesn't recognize flash drive

Most older laptops have usb ports that do not supply enough milliamperes for some usb devices, not sure if this is your issue or not. Try a usb hub that has its own power supply.

doesn't recognize flash driveClick to expand...

any error messages when you plug the device in? , any errors in device manager when the device is connected?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/win2k-laptop-doesnt-recognize-flash-drive.854828/
Relevancy 70.52%

I m building a computer at work to deal w some huge data files GB I m using an Areca ARC- - I R SAS Stata RAID controller card to run a RAID setup w Seagate Barracuda SATA III TB hard drives The card has a single SAS port on it so I also purchased hard Solved: drives controller RAID recognize card doesn't a cable w SAS connector on end and SATA connectors on the other I ve installed the latest driver for the controller card I m running a fresh installation of Win Enterprise -bit on an SSD boot drive that connects directly to the motherboard Solved: RAID controller card doesn't recognize hard drives ie not connected to the RAID card When I access the card s BIOS menu at boot-up it says that there are no storage devices available Thru a process of elimination I know that the drives and the power cable to the drives are all good So that leaves the SAS-to-SATA cable a hardware issue w the card or a configuration problem w the card There are no troubleshooting instructions in the manual and knowledge base on the Areca website wasn t helpful Any ideas on how I can troubleshoot this nbsp

A:Solved: RAID controller card doesn't recognize hard drives

Turns out that the SAS connector has a double clasp on the end. So it felt like it was pushed in all the way, when in fact it was only pushed part of the way in. It's building the array right now...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-raid-controller-card-doesnt-recognize-hard-drives.1054607/
Relevancy 69.66%

Recently my hard drive (Dell Dimension desktop) crashed and I had a brand new hard drive installed.

I installed Roxio Easy Media Creator 9 which I had used many times before with my old hard drive, and I never had any problems with the program recognizing my disc drives, D and E.

Now, for some reason, EMC 9 does not recognize the discs inserted into drives D and E, although My Commputer does recognize them.

What must I do to correct this problem? Do I perhaps need to change a setting? Do I possibly need to update a driver? At this point it seems to me that this problem has been caused by my having installed a new hard drive, so I figure there should be an easy solution.

Thank you.

A:Solved: Why doesn't Roxio Easy Media Creator 9 recognize either of my disc drives?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-why-doesnt-roxio-easy-media-creator-9-recognize-either-of-my-disc-drives.871176/
Relevancy 67.94%

Hey guys,

I got a new motherboard yesterday, installed it, and installed windows. This morning, I decided it would be a good idea to flash the UEFI (BIOS) to the newest version.

Now, when I try to boot, it just sits with a gray cursor at the top left of the screen. I went into the UEFI and went to boot order, but it only shows my 1TB hard drive and my dvd drive. But I had a 750GB hard drive with windows installed. I think this is the reason it won't boot, because it doesn't see the drive with the OS installed.

What should I do? Flash it to the earliest version?

Thanks guys.

A:Motherboard doesn't see Hard drives after flash

Hello mate.

Perhaps the boot sequence changed with the flash, is the HDD set as first boot device?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/168032-motherboard-doesnt-see-hard-drives-after-flash.html
Relevancy 64.07%

"My Computer" doesn't recognize my DVD burner(E or CD(F drives. But they are listed in the device manager and are "working properly".
When I boot up, My Computer lists the first two slots of my media card reader as E: and F:. There are no disk drive icons. It appears that the drives are listed as removable drives ( I and (J.
If I put a CD audio in the CD drive (F, the icon will change and I can get it to play in Media Player. If I put it in the DVD drive, it keeps telling me there is no disk.
However, a DVD in the DVD drive will play in Media Center.
I am not able to burn anything to the DVD burner drive (E.
Appreciate any advice.

A:"My Computer" doesn't recognize DVD and CD drives

First thing to try is to uninstall both of the optical drives in Device Manager, and reboot and see if Windows gets them sorted out when it discovers them again.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-computer-doesnt-recognize-dvd-and-cd-drives.502776/
Relevancy 55.04%

BSOD whenever a usb device gets plugged -flash drives, external drives

- Thanks for having this forum

A:BSOD whenever a usb device gets plugged -flash drives, external drives

Code:
* Bugcheck Analysis *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 1000007E, {ffffffffc0000005, fffff8000348bda9, fffff880039bcd58, fffff880039bc5b0}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for snapman.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for snapman.sys
Probably caused by : disk.sys ( disk! ?? ::FNODOBFM::`string'+70f )

Followup: MachineOwner
---------

2: kd> lmvm snapman
start end module name
fffff880`01e00000 fffff880`01e46000 snapman T (no symbols)
Loaded symbol image file: snapman.sys
Image path: snapman.sys
Image name: snapman.sys
Timestamp: Wed Mar 09 23:52:38 2011 (4D777F1E)
CheckSum: 0004F614
ImageSize: 00046000
Translations: 0000.04b0 0000.04e4 0409.04b0 0409.04e4
Ensure Windows is updated, then reboot and update your Acronis installation:
Backup software for data backup and disaster recovery in Windows and Linux - Acronis

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/366969-bsod-whenever-usb-device-gets-plugged-flash-drives-external-drives.html
Relevancy 54.61%

Hello, everyone.  I've a "stupid" question  Please don't laugh at me and help me out.  Any information is greatly appreciated. I bought the storage kit to install a 2nd SSD (Samsung 850 EVO) on my P50.  However, system fails to recognize the new drive (i.e., not shown in My Computer).  The machine originally does not have RAID enabled.  Do I need to install the new BIOS 1.28 to enable RAID?  If so, which RAID configuration shall I use? Thanks in advance for any info

Solved!
Go to Solution.

A:P50 - machine does not recognize 2nd SSD

Assuming that you are using Windows 7:

1. Go into Control Panel -> Administrative tools, select computer management -> Disk Management
2. Go to the new drive shown and create a drive id for the volume
3. Exit

The drive will now show in My Computer after restart.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/P50-machine-does-not-recognize-2nd-SSD/td-p/3373744
Relevancy 54.18%

My Windows 10 Home laptop will recognize all of my flash drives but won't recognize any of my external hard drives. They all use to show up but now they aren't. The hard drives show up in disk manager but won't show up in file explorer. I hooked them up to other laptops & they all show up. I've tried uninstalling drivers & reinstalling them but It hasn't worked. Any ideas?

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/66530-flash-drives-recognized-but-external-hard-drives-not.html
Relevancy 54.18%

I have a new computer plus a couple of other computers and I have some external hard drives and flash drives. what is the best way to check these devices to make sure they are clean, will just connecting them and viewing them or running AV and other security checks propose a risk to the computer that is checking?
Thanks for any advise!

A:External Hard drives and flash drives security

zformer,

You can consider the use of the Panda Vaccine on your computer and USB Drives:
Download Panda USB and AutoRun Vaccine - MajorGeeks

This tool provides a two way security by vaccinating both computer and/or USB drives.
It work on NTFS, FAT, FAT32 formatted drives.
However, vaccinating a USB drive cannot be undone without formatting the USB disk, using a hex editor, or a File Manager in a Linux distribution..

Next, make sure that your Antivirus can scan USB drives. Some do not have this option.

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/361360-external-hard-drives-flash-drives-security.html
Relevancy 54.18%

I set up a new computer. Windows 7 Pro 64x
Everything was fine but then I connected a flash drive to it and I get:

Location Not Available
H:\ is not accessible. Access is denied

If I go into the properties to the ?security? tab, it says ?you do not have permission to view or edit this object?s permission settings?

If I go into the ?owner? tab of Advanced Security Settings, current owner says ?Unable to display current owner?
This is on every flash drive and portable hard drive on all 4 usb ports.
I am logged in as the administrator and there is not even another user account on the computer
I?ve run sfc /scannow

I?m absolutely stumped. I?ve never had this happen on any computer where I couldn?t use an external device.

This is not my computer so I?ll have to do whatever remotely.

Thank you for the help.

A:All Flash Drives & External Hard Drives NOT ACCESSIBLE?

Sometimes when I plug in a USB Thumb/Flash drive I get a message about "this device can perform faster if plugged into a USB 2 port" so I shut the computer down and pull the power cord and USB devices from the back of it. After waiting a bit I put everything back and all is good.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/354251-all-flash-drives-external-hard-drives-not-accessible.html
Relevancy 53.75%

I installed my usb 250mb zip drive on my alternate machine, but the machine won't see it. I have reinstalled the drivers from the iomegaware disk, and also gone to the iomega website and downloaded the latest drivers to be sure. I believe it might be the usb connection; how can I check the usb connection to make sure it is live? I have checked bios and it is "enabled."

thanks!

Relevancy 53.32%

Hey guys I've been a fan of your forum for a while and didn't create an account til now I'm at my wits end and I'm desperate for help My posts on other forums have been won't Flash install drives drives & external ignored so I'll try here It all started when I bought Flash drives & external drives won't install the Dingoo A game system In order for it to work with Windows I had to replace the USBSTOR sys file with another Everything seemed fine except the file transfer to my Dingoo was exceptionally slow Eventually I followed instructions months ago and somehow got my Dingoo to not use it's preinstalled China Chip Drivers but Windows's mass storage driver Everything seemed fine for months until I bought a portable hard drive Seagate Freeagent Go Flex After spending hours trying to figure out why it wouldn't install I returned it about a week later I picked out a Patriot GB Flash Drive as a replacement to the Freeagent Go Surprise surprise drivers won't install Old flash drives still work they were installed before the Dingoo incident I've tried -Uninstalling and reinstalling device plenty of times -Pointed Windows towards quot system drivers quot and didn't help -Replaced USBSTOR sys with Windows XP version -Replaced USBSTOR sys with Windows Vista version -Checked for corrupted system files -Tried Driver Genius I'm at my wits end I have so many important files on this OS and I don't want to restore the OS I've backed up some of my files thanks to Ubuntu where the flash drive works without a hitch I've asked on other forums for someone to upload their USBSTOR sys and no one replied I'm also thinking that maybe the registry could be screwed up maybe for some reason it's told NOT to install the flash drive Not really sure I'd appreciate any help guys You have a great forum here -Hack r Or just call me Nick

A:Flash drives & external drives won't install

Never mind. After getting no help on multiple forums, I've had enough of Windows 7.

Installing Windows XP Pro SP3.

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/130680-flash-drives-external-drives-wont-install.html
Relevancy 53.32%

I already found out the hard way that flash drives don't have a registry in which I can install a program to it, and run it on other computers, unless the program is a lite program. Is there a way to make it more flexible in the sense of creating a registry for it?

Next question; Do external hard drives have a registry? Could I install games and or programs to an external and run them directly from it? Is there a way to create a registry for it if it does not have one?
Anyone that has anything else to possibly add, I'm more than happy to explore any and all options, so don't be shy!

Help is appreciated, thanks in advance!

A:External hard drives / flash drives.

i do not know the particulars of it but yes it is possible to copy/paste a programme file from c drive ,programme files, onto flash drive and run it, i do it myself

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drives-flash-drives.930251/
Relevancy 53.32%

I have windows 7 pro and recently I have not been able to open up a new folder on any external hard drive or flash drive that I use with my computer. When I use these same flash and external hard drives in another computer it works fine, my initial thought is, there is something disabled in my system or some program is blocking me when I try to create a new folder in my drives. need advice and help.

A:Flash drives and external hard drives

It may be your explorer. Run a sfc /scannow in Command Prompt

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/315742-flash-drives-external-hard-drives.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Hi again You guys bailed me out before so here goes I have a emachines t I bought recognize my my machine wont ipod an ipod and tried to hook it up The driver on the ipod cant recognize the machine so after tech support i installed a belkin hi speed usb pci card Still no luck The ipod works fine on other machines the usb ports work fine on mine I ve even gone into device manager to manually align the belkin device AND still no luck Emachine h-p and belkin support are no help whatsoever HELLLLLLLLLLP do I need a new machine It seems as though the machine wont let the new device work properly is this possible I ve already returned one today and the new one is the same as the first again the ipod is working fine the usb ports work fine they just my machine wont recognize my ipod arent as required by ipod I dont have a firewire hub so thats out i give up almost lol thanks guys nbsp

Relevancy 53.32%

i powered up this machine, and it won't even recognize the keyboard and mouse. can't use them at all. the machine is running widows XP.

any suggestions.

thanks in advance

A:machine won't recognize mouse/keyboard

New computer? PS2 mouse and keyboard? Are they plugged into the right ports? You can try the keyboard by itself and see if it will work. Try going into the computers bios with the keyboard and see if you can move around the different screens. If the mouse and keyboard are both PS2 then the ports could be blown. Some motherboards had the votage used on PS2 ports fused.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/machine-wont-recognize-mouse-keyboard.262697/
Relevancy 52.89%

ok.
the problem is that i can't see any flashes on any site. for example i go to ed test site. i can't see their meters!. i go to chatting site i can see nothing. just a small icon on the top left side. i d/l macromedia flash 8 . still no difference.

wat is the problem where have i go wrong??
is this a software problem or ??

any useful help really appreciated.

A:Flash doesn't work on Flash enabled websites

Please use proper thread titles from now on.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/flash-doesnt-work-on-flash-enabled-websites.57032/
Relevancy 52.89%

Salutations I have windows machines and XP machine that I need to keep on XP I have a Homegroup set up on a wireless network Router Linksys EA for the Win machines that works fine I am now trying to set up an XP machine on the network to share files and a printer with the others and so far I m not having any luck after following the procedure on HowToGeek I have done the following in Windows - made sure all machines have the same workgroup name WORKGROUP - made sure all Win machines have network discovery file amp printer sharing and public folder sharing turned on as well as turning off password protected sharing I have done the following in XP - gone into the network setup wizard and turned on file and printer sharing - shared the drive and folders that I need shared All machines have no issues connecting to the internet The homegroup is working fine on Win machines as mentioned but the XP machine doesn t show up under the Network listing on the Win machines and vice versa Any help would be greatly 7 vice XP machine won't and recognize versa Windows appreciated nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-7-machine-wont-recognize-xp-and-vice-versa.1077756/
Relevancy 52.89%

hello i removed the case cover for my pc to gain access to the pic bridge camera disc stuck in slot somehow i must have done something to the cd drive because when i put it all back together again i got a does e drive cd not T6532 machine Solved: recognize dos screen telling me the machine could not boot because it couldn t access the cd drive i ve checked all the wiring and can t see where the problem is Solved: T6532 e machine does not recognize cd drive i m running xp mce sp i can t get into windows the exact wording on the screen is quot NVIDIA Boot Agent Copyright C - NVIDIA Corporation Copyright C - Intel Corporation PXE-E Media test failure check cable PXE-MOF Exiting NVIDIA Boot Agent Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key quot with flashing curser i tried putting my factory supplied recovery disc in the cd no go i tried putting the recovery discs i made in the cd no go i looked inside Solved: T6532 e machine does not recognize cd drive the case and don t see any lose wires all the fixes i found on the web require windows nothing was given for a dos screen thanks charlotte nbsp

A:Solved: T6532 e machine does not recognize cd drive

Wow, your machine isn't booting because it can't locate the CD Rom? Strange... sounds like another issue actually.

Check your boot options in the BIOS (setup), you should have the CD Rom as the primary boot device, and hard drive as the second.
Also, make sure "Network booting" is disabled, if you have that option.

(If that doesn't work, try to swap the cable currently connecting your hard drive to see if that helps)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-t6532-e-machine-does-not-recognize-cd-drive.908777/
Relevancy 52.03%

I took my computer to a retail store to have a sound card installed. They were unsuccessfull because they said the operating system (Win 98) in my computer was not recognizing my cd-rom drives to finalize the installation. That's funny, they were perfectly fine before I had them install the soundcard. Any, is there something I can do to correct what these people ruined in my windows 98 computer?

Relevancy 52.03%

pc does not recognize my dvd drives,i have windows vista 32 bit,i went into help and support,which advised to go into devise manager and check to see if the dvd drives are listed which they are, then to right click on the dvd drives,properties, and click the troubleshoot tab,then the attached box pops up and i dont know where to go from there, can anybody please advise, thanks.patch41

A:Pc does not recognize dvd drives

patch41:

Just a thought:

Have you tried clicking the Driver tab (as shown on your screenshot) and
updating the drivers?
Ardneh

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/240235-pc-does-not-recognize-dvd-drives.html
Relevancy 52.03%

I have more than 4 IDE drives connected to an XP desktop machine and all show up in Device Manager (two are USB external drives) and Disk Management. However, I can't get one of them to show in "My Computer" and cannot access that one from the networked laptop for backup purposes. I don't want to connect the inaccessible external drive to the laptop, though I suppose I could do that, as I need it to be accessible to the desktop and I often have the laptop in another location or on a trip.

I'm told that either the BIOS or Windows won't recognize more than four IDE drives, though a fifth one shows in My Computer - that's confusing. :-(

Is there a way to force the desktop to see the 6th external USB drive in My Computer and on the network?

Jim

A:Recognize more than 4 IDE Drives

Ok, first of all a USB drive is NOT an IDE drive: It's not connected to an IDE channel, but rather a USB hub.
You may think it's IDE, but thinking that doesn't make it so.

Are you installing the USB drive(s) directly onto the USB root hub, or are you using an external (secondary) hub?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/recognize-more-than-4-ide-drives-34606.html
Relevancy 52.03%

After cleaning up my computer, XP does not seem to recognize my 2 CD/DVD drives. They are not present in device manager. There is 11V at the plugs so I know the power supply is good. I ran the Microsoft Fixit file and it did tell me I had a problem but could not remedy the problem.

Relevancy 52.03%

Have a win2k machine. When i go into MY Computer or Disk Management the cd burner (set to slave) and the cd rom (set to master) are not shown. if i go into device manager the drives are shown under DVD/CD Drives. they are shown in the bios and can boot off them. its just the OS does not see them. Also, i changed the transfer mode on the second ide channel in device manager, rebooted and same result. OS does not see them. I even changed the cd drives and same thing, os does not see it. need help with this one. thanks.

A:Win 2k does not recognize my cd drives

Ok, so i did some searching around and found the solution to my question.

Adaptec knows what the Hibernate problem is with the 4.02 update. It
> > is a
> > file called "cdralw2k.sys". When 4.02 is installed it adds filters to
> > the
> > registry so that this file is used instead of "cdrom. sys" which comes
> > with W2K. When the Adaptec software is uninstalled the registry is
> > not reverted to use "cdrom. sys" and
> > hence the Hibernate problem continues and you lose access to your
> > CDROM Drives. You have to edit the registry to stop the Adaptec driver
> > after uninstall. The critical keys that the software leaves behind
> > after being uninstalled are in:

HKLM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFCl-087002BEl0318}

- Hide quoted text -
- Show quoted text -

> > In this section you will find two keys called "UpperFilters" &
> > "LowerFilters". You will need to delete both of these keys and reboot
> > to
> > restore win2K to the default CD driver. You should also search for
> > other
> > keys containing "cdralw2k" and "cdr4w2K". If you find any delete the
> > keys and then delete these two files AFTER the reboot. Note you-cannot
> > delete the references to these
> > in "ENUM" as they are generated from the class driver, but they will
> > not be
> > there after the reboot.

credit goes to Brian Hiers: that post was posted Aug 29 2000, 2:00 am
thanks Brian.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/win-2k-does-not-recognize-my-cd-drives.41177/
Relevancy 52.03%

Hi,

I just came round my mates house to see about upgrading his PC, after seeing both DVD drives were IDE I said they needed upgrading, next we took out the RAM to have a quick look then popped it back in and booted up. I didn't pay much attention to the BIOS as the PC booted but after inserting a disc it wasn't recognized, after looking in My Computer it showed neither DVD drives.

The Hard Drive and the floppy drive are both still recognized, check the IDE cables and they seemed to be in fine, power is still getting to these drives, we just can't do anything with them.

Any ideas?

A:PC does not recognize both IDE drives.

If they're both on the same IDE cable, is the one set as master on the end connector of the cable; and the one set as slave on the connector in the middle of the cable; or are both drives set to cable select?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/pc-does-not-recognize-both-ide-drives.637498/
Relevancy 52.03%

Help, I'm not sure why, but my computer will not recognize my cd/dvd drives. I had a virus, had to reconfigure my whole system from factory pre-sets, and now I have no cd drive. Help!!! I am only semi-computer-literate so please be kind.

Thank you,
Maria

Relevancy 51.6%

Recently, my computer has gone completely on the fritz. Every time I put a new disk into my CD drive, my computer will not recognize it. It will act as though the disc I had in there previously is still there. Many times, my Windows Explorer will lock up and I will have to reboot. AVG says I don't have any viruses on my comp, but many times I will not be able to even run a program. Can anyone help please?

A:CD Drives don't recognize disks

please check your device manager for any yellow conflict symbols
run ewido from link below, update first
otherwise try changing the ribbon cable
post back

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cd-drives-dont-recognize-disks-82880.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Okay.. A while back I bought a DVD burner. I had 2 Drives at the time, both working, a DVDROM drive and CD-RW drive..
I took out the CD-RW drive and added the DVD burner. After installing, the DVD-Rom drive was not recognized by Windows. I checked the wiring and everything was fine, but it seemed that the DVD drive was just non-existant to the computer, even after adding the drivers and stuff...

I then decided to start fresh. I used a Windows Installation and went under the "repair" option instaed of fresh install. After it was done, the computer wont recognize EITHER drive..

Both drives are there and opening, but wont be recognized. I cant install the drivers since I have NO Cd-Drives.

What should I do. TIA

Relevancy 51.6%

Friends: I have a CD-ROM read-only drive and a CD-ROM R/W drive on my computer. These drives show up on my "My computer" and also on my "Device Manager" screens. However Adaptec (v4.02) Easy CD Creator and Adaptec (v3.01) DirectCD does not see these drives. I installed the software twice but same results. Any ideas how I can get Adaptec to recognize my drives? Windows 98SE. Thanks a lot.

A:Adaptec does not recognize my drives

Thats a really old version of Easy CD Creator.

First, do all the drives appear in My Computer and can they read CD's. If so then its just a software problem. You'll need to patch you software to add support for you drive or buy newer software. Unfornately Roxio doesn't offer updates for 4 anymore, or I just couldn't find them. Best bet is to buy a newer version of Roxio or Nero.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/adaptec-does-not-recognize-my-drives.282849/
Relevancy 51.6%

My Windows computer does not show my CD drives all of a sudden. I don't know if the message below relates, but I found it under Event Viewer. CAN ANYONE HELP ME TO GET MY PC TO RECOGNIZE MY CD DRIVES? THANK YOU.

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
Cdr4_xp
Imapi

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

A:Computer Does not Recognize CD Drives

XP_CD-DVD-Fix.exe - Restore CD/DVD Drives to Explorer
Dowload that if it don't work then do the following

Fix for missing DVD/CD drives.

Create a text file with NOTEPAD containing the following data exactly as below and name it FIXCD.REG
You should have 3 boxes on the bottom in NOTEPAD.
1)Filename : fixcd.reg
2)Save as type: all files
3)Encoding: ANSI
If you do not change it from txt type to All files type, then the file will actually be fixcd.reg.txt, this won't accomplish the desired result

Double click on the file and say yes to the merge into registry question.

----------------------- Use text after this line, contents of FIXCD.REG -----------------------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
"UpperFilters"=-
"LowerFilters"=-

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_2K]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdralw2k]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr]
------------------------------ Use text before this line --------------------------------

courtesy of JohnWill

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-does-not-recognize-cd-drives.534172/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi Troops,

ASUS AV7 - 133 Motherboard.

Normal IDE Hard drives, and two CD-ROMS.
Can't seem to gt them all recognized. I think it
might be a RAID problem. The message at halt is:

"Ultra Bios 100 did not load because no drives connected"

There are TWO sets of IDE controllers, each has a blue
AND a black base. I've tried every which way, and the
best I get is the two HHDs load, or the Two CD-ROMS
load. I can't get them all recognized at the same time, Which is necessary to reinstall XP Pro.

Haaallllpppp ! TIA

-Bonzie

Relevancy 51.6%

Hi to all !

I just checked and backed up some data on my PCs and had to change HDDs a lot.

Then suddenly my floppy drive didn't work any more.

I have bought a new one, so now I have

2 drives (one new obviously supposed to work)
2 cables
2 PCs

none of the combinations work

I checked the voltages and they are fine

the cables are connected correctly of course ...

any ideas beside FDD controller fried etc ?

The drives are not even detected by the BIOS so it's not a driver issue ...

A:Don't recognize floppy drives any more !!!

Are your floppies enabled in BIOS, i.e. Drive A = 1.44MB?
and none of that Type 3(Japanese) stuff enabled?

You sure you connected the twisted-cable-end to the floppy-drive and have pin 1?red line on cable where it is supposed to be?
Did you check the powercable?
Maybe try another power connector?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dont-recognize-floppy-drives-any-more.9194/
Relevancy 51.6%

OK I m trying to help out a friend here and her computer does not show any cdrom drives at all She has windows xphome mem They did work Does drives Not recognize cdrom fine some time ago however I m not exactly sure Does Not recognize cdrom drives when that was Now I unhooked all the cables and rehooked them up They were all fine The top one opens the door and a green light comes on but the bottom one the door got stuck so theres a yellow light on But I can t install or uninstall anything for them cuz windows does not see them at all anywhere Not even in the Does Not recognize cdrom drives bios Even if they were not working they should at least show up I cannot figure this out I did a system restore and went back six months but that didn t help It just shows her harddrive and floppy drive in my computer Does anybody have any ideas Any would be greatly appreciated Thanks a bunch Rita nbsp

Relevancy 51.6%

I purchased a used computer running Windows XP yesterday, and last night discovered that Windows does not recognize either the CD or DVD drives. Both drives open, but inserting a disc into them has no effect. Windows Explorer shows only the C:/ drive. Suggestions? Thanks.

A:Windows does not recognize CD or DVD drives

Have you verified that they are connected properly? Do you see the drives listed in the BIOS or during POST?

If everything is good hardware wise try this:
Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or other programs

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-does-not-recognize-cd-or-dvd-drives-594217.html
Relevancy 51.6%

My computer has stopped recognizing CD DVD Drives and I have no idea why It started about weeks ago when my old IDE DVD burner started acting up sometimes it wouldn t play DVDs or CDs sometimes it would be fine then finally it stopped working all together I replaced it with a SATA version of the same drive and my computer cannot detect it CD/DVD Computer drives won't recognize any either Today I took an old IDE CD Drive I had lying around and hooked it up The computer recognized it and installed drivers automatically but it has the same problem The drives have all had power but do not show up under quot My Computer quot or anywhere else When I go into Device Manager all drives have a yellow exclamation point next to them and give the following error quot Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device Code quot Any help would be appreciated I wish I could just reinstall Windows however that s really difficult without a CD drive I am running Windows XP x nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-wont-recognize-any-cd-dvd-drives.610894/
Relevancy 51.6%

My husband's computer will NOT recognize his DVD drive nor another disk drive. It recognizes his A (floppy) drive. Consequently we can't try to reinstall anything to try and fix the problem. He's running Windows XP. Help.

Relevancy 51.6%

Hi Everyone I'm a newbie with an old problem I have Windows Media Edition and I want to take it off and replace it with XP Pro as many of my editing softwares don't like Media Center I have been at this for weeks Dell support are worse than useless and even Microsoft don't understand it Whenever I get to installing XP Pro a message comes up saying there are no drives to be found I have two GB drives and Media Edition is seeing them okay In fact I even tried re-installing Media Center just to see if the drives were seen they not will drives! Pro XP my Windows recognize were It's just XP Pro that refuses to see them I was using an upgrade disc but understand that won't work so I bought an OEM full install and I'm getting the same error message I've loaded all the possible SATA drives and still no luck Anyone have ANY ideas I'm going crazy Thanks in advance David

A:Windows XP Pro will not recognize my drives!

1. Can you see your drives in your bios? Are they detected / enabled?

2. What drives are they - ide, sata, raid, scsi, usb? What's their exact configuration?

3. You don't need to load "all the possible SATA drives" - if they are in fact plugged on a sata controller, you'll only need to have the specific WinXP driver for this specific controller.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-xp-pro-will-not-recognize-my-drives-106702.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi

I have a toshiba l655 laptop and I have a swivel traveldrive usb. For some strange reason, none of my usb

ports are recognizing my swivel usb. I did a boottime scan and the volume is clean. I did a sfc/scannow

check and it came out fine. There are no intergrity violations. The keyboard and mouse are working fine.

I originally had a code 28 but after jumbling some stuff around, that error seems to be gone. Now when I

go to "other devices" and "swivel", there's a grey question mark and the "No drivers are installed for this

device" error. Does anyone have any idea what is going on? Thanks in advance for your help.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/386145-how-can-i-get-my-laptop-recognize-my-usb-drives-again.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Hello,
I'm running XP on a 2 YO desktop. My two CD/DVD drives functioned perfectly until the other day. I've installed no new programs, but I think a Microsoft update happened at about this time.
I tried the MS fix, deleting both upper and lower (i forgot the entire name) files in the registry. The I tried the MR FIXIT auto tool from Windows, no luck. I tried the solution I found on this forum here 525621-solved-dvd-cd-rom-drive.

I see both drives in explorer, and trouble shooter in device mgr says they both are functioning. But, they both indicate that they are empty even though there is a disk in both. One disk is blank and the other I tried is a commercial dvd. No luck with either.

TIA-
Donna

Relevancy 51.6%

I am trying to burn some data CD's for work. Some of it is simple software, no more than 25KB, others are text files. For some reason when I put a CD in the drive, the drive won't recognize its there. I am running an older machine ( HP Pavilion N422a ). I might add that I was having this problem while this was still an XP box. I have tried multiple software, ( windows media player, Nero, Etc) and none seem to work.
thanks in advance

-cheers

A:disk drives won't recognize CD's

hello subcook and welcome to seven forums.

when you put your CD blank into the drive. that's cd detect??

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/73826-disk-drives-wont-recognize-cds.html
Relevancy 51.6%

All of a sudden my computer does not recognize the three does CD Computer recognize the not drives CD drives labeled H I and J Exactly when this happened I do not know since I don t use them every day I tried to restore the system to an earlier date but whatever date I use I get the message that the system could not be restored I tried RerCure got initially about empty registry keys After multiple scans and fixes I got this number down to errors but it didn t fix the problem with my drives Computer does not recognize the CD drives When I open the device manager I get a listing Computer does not recognize the CD drives of the Computer does not recognize the CD drives three drives with a yellow exclamation label and when I click on any on of them the message quot Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device Code quot If I click on quot Troubleshoot quot I get the window quot Help and Support Center quot where I m supposed to enter a search option which leaves me stranded nbsp

Relevancy 51.6%

hi - for several months my PC would only recognize and connect with my slave drive quot E quot once in awhile sometimes if i changed cables or disconnected quot E quot for awhile it would come back on being reconnected i finally posted the issue on TSG and or slave PC recognize cd/dvd drives won't one member suggested going back to master slave from cable select it worked for a couple PC won't recognize slave or cd/dvd drives of days so i marked the thread quot solved quot but less than a day later it dropped quot E quot again now it has also stopped recognizing my cd dvd drive quot D quot - will not display it under quot my computer quot of course doesn t show quot E quot either and PC won't recognize slave or cd/dvd drives won t play cds or dvds i had recently installed iTunes and last night iTunes opened a window stating that something in its installation was preventing my player from working and that i would need to uninstall iTunes i did that today rebooted but no dice another recent problem not sure if related is that during the same week it has begun to get weird with new programs i installed seagate s diagnostic program the minute i would click on it a window would popup stating that it had encountered a problem and needed to close i also installed a kenwood music editor program and same thing- the first time i clicked on it to use it up popped a window saying that quot kenwood music editor has encountered a problem quot etc i got the seagate program from their site and the kenwood software from a disc i did try windows or is it MS quot Fixit quot gadget last night- can t remember exactly what happened but it didn t work- it might even have refused to load- i was kinda sleepy by then any help greatly appreciated i realilze magic wands do not grow in trees mezz Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack bit Processor AMD Sempron tm Processor x Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card NVIDIA Quadro NVS S NVIDIA GeForce LE Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard ASUSTek Computer INC M NBP-VM CSM Antivirus AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition Updated Yes On-Demand Scanner Enabled nbsp

Relevancy 51.6%

I use Windows 98 SE and sometimes the computer will not recognize my 2 CD drives (the primary is a CD-RW and the secondary is a DVD drive). Although I can solve it by rebooting the computer, but I know it shouldn't be this way because the CD-RW drive was on the computer since I got it 3 years ago and I added the DVD drive on just a few months ago. It's been this way for the past 2 to 3 weeks now.
If anyone has a solution for this problem, I would appreciate any help. Thank you.

A:Computer sometimes won't recognize CD drives.

Have you checked all the connections and ensured everything is plugged in tight? Primarily I would check where the ribbon plugs into the MB. Also is it recognizing the devices at a bios level?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-sometimes-wont-recognize-cd-drives.392862/
Relevancy 51.6%

Windows XP, dual disc drive. Suddenly they aren't showing up in "My Computer" Dell desktop. Looking for any suggestions.

Relevancy 51.17%

Good day all I am running an hp desktop using windows that I wish to back up I m going to need a terrabyte external hard drive and if possible a terabyte flash drive The last one I bought was a Seagate but I was annoyed to find it required me to purchase separate software So my question is in two parts which do you think is Best up back drives drives and flash are the best external hard drive to buy and does it come complete with all necessary software I m not sure if flash drives run to that size but if they do which would you recommend A final question when I have backed up my computer in the past it has not been recorded and it says there has never been a back-up carried out another message is that the network or location the back-up is being stored cannot be located What have I done wrong I appreciate any help or advice that can be given Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 51.17%

I've put together a barebones kit with windows XP as the OS and everything works great - except the CD ROM which works fine in my other computer.
If I set it as the primary slave, i get a boot error which says detecting IDE drive and then gives the error "boot error" insert system disk.

If I set it as the secondary master or slave, it boots up, there's a light on (which stays on) the CD ROM but its not recognized in the device manager or my computer.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Relevancy 51.17%

xp stopped recognizing cd-rw's several weeks ago. It showed in properties things like size 1.2 mg. no available space. I found a workaround by turning off and then on recording in properties. Other burning software works fine so this is definitely an xp problem. I tried sfc /scannow, an xp repair install. deleting the cd driver in device manager, and deleting the upper and lower filters in the registry. I did a google and it seems others are having this problem. Any ideas?

A:xp doesn't recognize cd-rw

well it might have something to do with the drivers or maybe try installing any software that came with it again you should check for some updates or check with the manufacturer to see if there was any recalls but if others are having the problems it means that there isn't any odd unheard of problem with your machine i don't have many more ideas because i don't know your machine or any other things but check out your options

if you have any other questions post back or just email me i'd be glad to help!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/xp-doesnt-recognize-cd-rw-130581.html
Relevancy 51.17%

I dvd Doesn't DVD's recognize ve had nothing but problems with my LG dvd drive When I first got it I had no problems with it Later on though it all of a sudden failed to read DVD s but would still read and type of cd CD data audio etc I sent it away on it s manufacture s warranty When it returned I hooked it up and it ran fine But dvd Doesn't recognize DVD's the next time I went to use it one boot later it wouldn t recognize dvd s again I had already tried many options when it first happened and went through all the settings drivers etc on and on and came up with nothing So I tried something different and switched my dvd to master and my cd burner to slave and it worked but only once again Next time I went to use it on the same boot it failed to recognize the DVD again Any input would be much appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 51.17%

xp stopped recognizing cd-rw's several weeks ago. It showed in properties things like size 1.2 mg. no available space. I found a workaround by turning off and then on recording in properties. Other burning software works fine so this is definitely an xp problem. I tried sfc /scannow, an xp repair install. deleting the cd driver in device manager, and deleting the upper and lower filters in the registry. I did a google and it seems others are having this problem. Any ideas?

A:xp doesn't recognize cd-rw

The drive is a Mitsumi cr-48xate if this helps.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-doesnt-recognize-cd-rw.526845/
Relevancy 51.17%

I have an Asus P4C800-E Deluxe MB (and P4 2.4 CPU) with an existing PATA (WD Ultra IDE ATA 100) 80GB HD connected to the PRIMARY IDE channel.

I installed a new SATA (WD Ultra IDE ATA 133) 200 GB HD to the 20378 Promise UltraDMA 133 Channel, Non-RAID (40 pin x 80 wire cable).

When I boot it doesn't recognize my new HD. It doesn't show in BIOS either.

I have BIOS IDE Configuration set at;

Onboard IDE Operate Mode= Enhanced
Enhanced Mode Support On= S-ATA
Configure S-ATA as RAID= No
IDE Detect Time Out= 35

I didn't change the boot sequence since my new HD isn't showing.

I hope this is enough info for a response. I just don't know what to do next.

Thanks. Mica7

Relevancy 51.17%

I'm trying to download DVD pictures made on a Mac to Windows 10, but the OS doesn't recognize the disk. Can I download free software that will enable me to do this?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/10-doesnt-recognize-mac-dvd-r.1169994/
Relevancy 51.17%

I installed a second DVD/CD Optical Drive (Samsung Super Writemaster) in my Dell Optiplex 780 and Windows 7 Pro doesn't (will not) recognize the presence of the new drive. I reinstalled the OS disc and did a CHKDSK on it yesterday. No change.The drive is hooked up with a new SATA cable to the SATA2 connection port and the power supply is plugged into the drive and is operating. It still doesn't know the new drive is there. Anyone know what the problem might be??

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/389562-win-7-pro-doesnt-recognize.html
Relevancy 51.17%

I bought a WD Caviar Black 1TB hard drive as a third drive in my system. It shows up in the device manager but not in my computer. What should I do? Troubleshooting is worthless on Windows.

A:XP doesn't recognize my new HD

Right click properties and choose manage. Go to Disk Management is the drive listed here. If it is there and all is well then you probably just need to partition and format the drive. If you cannot do that check the status of the disk it might need to be imported into the system. If it doesn't show up try scan for a new drive.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/306104/xp-doesnt-recognize-my-new-hd/
Relevancy 51.17%

I have an IBM thinkpad (old).For 3 mos., my cd-rom plays cd's, dvd's and previously copied cd-roms but it doesn't recognize or play any other cd roms. When i click on the dvd/dc window (to install it) , it's blank. Under programs the unsuccessful cd-roms are there(even though i didn't install them), but my computer says "unable to load uninstall data".

Can you help me?
gelbseiten

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cd-rom-doesnt-recognize.833374/
Relevancy 51.17%

I bought a dvd writer. I installed as per the directions. I fired up the computer and now my cdrom and my dvd writer do not show up anywhere.

A:Computer Does'nt Recognize Disc Drives

Be sure the master/slave jumpers are set correctly on the back of the units with the master being on the end of the cable. Sometimes when moving around in the case you can pull the ribbon cable partially away from the connector on the motherboard. Be sure every thing's connected firmly
Mark

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/97682/computer-doesnt-recognize-disc-drives/
Relevancy 51.17%

Alright, Ive had my computer for a couple years, and suddenly my CD Rom and CD burner drives are no longer being seen by my computer. Ive checked the ide connectors. The drives have never been removed from the computer. They still get power and work. I can open them and put a CD in it and it will spin. But my computer doesn't see the drives. Ive virus scanned because i thought maybe it was some sort of virus but that didn't help either. I have an old Compaq presario 800 MHz, with windows 2k pro on it. If anyone knows anyway i can fix this it would be much help. Can ribbon cable just go bad out of nowhere? Thanks in advance for any help.

-Mike

Relevancy 51.17%

Hello all, I was forced into an upgrade by a mobo failure. This evening I installed an "Asus P4S800D-X mobo, a Western Digital 500 gig hard drive, a Maxtor 250 gig hard drive both of them SATA. 4 gig of dual channel 184 pin PC 3200. When I enter bios the system seems to recognize the hard drives. However, when I try to install XP Windows says that I don't have any hard drives in the system.? What are some things that I can check or do to trouble shoot this glitch? Thanx

A:Windows Won't Recognize Hard Drives

When Windows is loading up it should say somewhere on the bottom of the screen (where it shows whats loading) Press F5 if you need a raid driver. OR something along on those lines. Then you press the key and put in the floppy that cmae with you Motherboard. It will probably say something like SATA Driver. Do that and you'll be able to use those drives.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-wont-recognize-hard-drives.71662/
Relevancy 51.17%

I have switched CPUs in order to upgrade my system but I have copied over all the important files from my old computer The current CPU was used by my dad before me and worked perfectly It runs on Windows However since unplugging the tower and moving it back to my room it no longer recognizes any of my CD DVD drives They are both functioning turning on and opening and closing but they are not listed under COMPUTER I have tried several fixes on this site including merging my Computer Disk Won't Drives Recognize registry with a file on Notepad and running a program called cdgone but it still doesn t work When my computer boots up I go to a screen with F that allows me to Computer Won't Recognize Disk Drives view my system The drivers are listed as off but when I switch them over the computer will not let me What is wrong here Here are my system specifics if you need them Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Home Premium bit Processor Intel R Pentium R CPU GHz x Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce GT Microsoft Corporation - WDDM Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB E Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard Dell Inc WG CN B B A Antivirus Norton Disabled nbsp

A:Computer Won't Recognize Disk Drives

I have not come across this before, but first thing i would do would be to look in the BIOS, Is it listed?

-Is it only in windows that it cant detect, eg. can you boot from cd?
-Is it correctly plugged in from both ends? (motherboard to Drive)

~

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-wont-recognize-disk-drives.1002441/
Relevancy 51.17%

I am running windows XP home with all the latest updates I have optical drives that will not recognize any media until AFTER I start Nero then both drives work flawlessly I have checked Device manager-no problems Removed the upper and lower filters-no effect Uninstalled and reinstalled drivers-no effect Checked all of the auto run and auto play registry entries- all good Immediately after starting Nero both drives work perfectly Before Nero is started both drives think that what was inserted was blank media The same media recognize optical drives any not media plays perfectly after Nero starts This condition started after a major system crash and eventual system restoration Before that optical drives not recognize any media everything was working fine Also before the big system crash I was using final uninstaller to remove many program remnants I have spent optical drives not recognize any media days researching this and any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated This is really importatnt to me because I need them to work during boot up to recover a drive As a follow up for the key HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SYSTEM CurrentControlSet Control Class D E -E - CE-BFC - BE The default is listed as quot value not set quot Is that correct Thanks in advance for any help anybody can offer

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/optical-drives-not-recognize-any-media-470963.html
Relevancy 51.17%

For some reason my system will not recognize USB external hard drives. I plugged in a thumb drive and it saw that just fine. I plugged in another external HD and it gave all the signs it saw the HD (messages, noises) but it does not show that I can find. Anyone have any idea on this?

Thanks

A:System won't recognize USB external drives.

First, try another USB port

Second, try another USB cable

Last, try and see it shows up in the Device Manager (from the run prompt...devmgmt.msc). Disconnect the hard drive via USB and reconnect it with the Device Manager open. Look for any hardware failure indications (yellow caution sign, red "X").

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/system-wont-recognize-usb-external-drives.782711/
Relevancy 51.17%

I m running Windows with drives wont windows recognize a small secondary hard drive GB and a CD burner installed Awhile back I tried to burn a CD and no matter what I did it kept telling me that it could not write to the disk When I put in a CD that had some files on it and tried to access the drive from Windows Explorer it told me that the disk was not formatted I got frustrated and left it alone for the rest of the day Next day it still didnt work windows wont recognize drives and when I tried to access the secondary hard drive and it gave me the same message--the disk is not formatted I get the feeling that something in Windows has gotten corrupted and that s why my drives are acting up In fact I m not sure if this post belongs under hardware or operating systems The Windows troubleshooter was pretty worthless it claims that all drivers are working properly Since my primary hard drive and CD drive are still working I haven t spent too much time trying to solve it windows wont recognize drives but I would like to windows wont recognize drives get those drives back Any ideas on things I can try to fix this or at least something that will help me diagnose it further Thanks Mike nbsp

A:windows wont recognize drives

I would guess you have the jumpers set wrong on the drives.

If the drive is by itself on the IDE data cable then set the jumper to Master. If its on a cable with another drive then you need to set one of the drives to Master and the other to Slave. If its on the same cable as a hard drive then you really want to make sure the jumpers are correctly set; soem hard drives have a Single or Master with Slave present jumper.

There should be a jumper diagram on the top or bottom of each drive. Look for MS, SL, or CS.

CS is Cable Select and if you use theis then all drives on the same IDE cable must be set to CS. The drive at the end of the cable becomes Master and the one in the middle becomes Slave.

Picture of jumpers: http://www.mysuperpc.com/pc_assembly/liteon_52x_cdrom_jumper_master.jpg

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-wont-recognize-drives.386382/
Relevancy 51.17%

I have hard drives and external seagate drive plus dvd drives Until I installed the x64 drives my wont will 7 Win dvd BIOS Pro BUT 2 recognize seagate permanently there was no problem but after about a week suddenly the seagate was shown with the letter of my second dvd drive I changed the seagate s letter to S and everything was good for days then suddenly only dvd drive but seagate was still S I tried everything I could think of but no good so reformatted the system Result was good for days and suddenly Win only recognizres dvd drive The Bios recognizes the dvd drives okay Any help please Scottspa Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Professional Service Pack BIOS will recognize my 2 dvd drives BUT Win 7 Pro x64 wont bit Processor Intel R Core TM i CPU GHz Intel Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card ATI Radeon HD Series Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB D Total - MB Free - MB E Total - MB Free - MB F Total - BIOS will recognize my 2 dvd drives BUT Win 7 Pro x64 wont MB Free - MB G Total - MB Free - MB H Total - MB Free - MB S Total - MB Free - BIOS will recognize my 2 dvd drives BUT Win 7 Pro x64 wont MB Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co Ltd X A-UD x x Antivirus Microsoft Security Essentials Updated and Enabled nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/bios-will-recognize-my-2-dvd-drives-but-win-7-pro-x64-wont.1004568/
Relevancy 51.17%

The Dell Pentium IV computer will not recognize the new master GHZ or the origional now slave GHZ Hard drives All the connections and jumpers are installed correctly I tried a new motherboard and a new cable both did not resolve this problem Even ran a diagnostic program called quot Tuff Test quot running at boot up and the RAM and all other items checked OK showing all working properly The BIOS now set to boot up correctly off the proper drive seems to recognize both removable drives and the floppy but not computer recognize drives won't hard the hard drives When I received computer won't recognize hard drives the computer it was password protected after asking and waiting for a week with no response I therefore in safe mode entered the BIOS and chose for it to boot off of the CD Rw that I thought was the proper and shut the Hard Drive off Here the CD RW was a slave and not the master computer won't recognize hard drives No luck in installing the OS I bought a new GHZ HD with the thought that I could load the OS again no luck I replaced the battery and tried again with no luck nbsp

A:computer won't recognize hard drives

Welcome to TSG....

You say the jumpers and the cables are installed properly. It is now that the computer says they are not. Sometimes when you mix two different brands that the drive select jumpers might not go according to what is specified on the drives. First step is to remove the drive that is not bootable from the cable and work on getting the boot drive recognized then go and get the second drive to be recognized. It will be sort of trial and error and it might even be a ribbon cable put on backwards - the pin number 1 is the side of the ribbon cable that has the red on it.

Have fun

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-wont-recognize-hard-drives.575038/
Relevancy 51.17%

I need help to solve a big trouble My quot back-up quot PC P Asus P SDX HD ATA- GB Maxtor amp HD ATA- GB can XP my BOOT!! 02 Win HELP! DO recognize and Hard Drives not NOT Seagate is having a boot problem since this morning The message is quot DISK BOOT FAILURE-INSERT DISK SYSTEM quot So I put my MoBo CD in my drive of DVD and I could access DOS only drive quot HELP! Win XP can not recognize my 02 Hard Drives and DO NOT BOOT!! A quot - the program quot called quot my drive of DVD - normally named D by Windows - as drive quot A quot but I can not reach my hard drives as if they were quot missing quot Inside BIOS within BOOT menu I can not set Primary Master and Slave because they quot disappeared quot appears only NONE inside this option - as if I do not HELP! Win XP can not recognize my 02 Hard Drives and DO NOT BOOT!! had any HDD Very strange as I didn t change any setting HELP! Win XP can not recognize my 02 Hard Drives and DO NOT BOOT!! of my PC Well I need a technical help to solve this odd problem what can I do to make my PC to recognize my HD s please Thanks a lot in advance for any help nbsp

A:HELP! Win XP can not recognize my 02 Hard Drives and DO NOT BOOT!!

It appears you may have a hard drive that went bad. Change out the ribbon cable to be on the safe side.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-win-xp-can-not-recognize-my-02-hard-drives-and-do-not-boot.14801/
Relevancy 51.17%

I had a working Windoes system with a g SSD and a g HDD Ineeded more storage so I installed a TB HDD When I went to boot up windows would not boot I removed the new drive and retried the boot still could not boot nbsp I tried Startup Repair and it failed with the message that it cannot repair this computer automatically I then went to CMD Prompt and tried fix mbr No drives were found I removed all of the drives and installed the TB HDD and retried with the same results I looked in BIOS and the drive was installed hard not Windows does recognize any drives so I ran Windows does not recognize any hard drives the BIOS tests They ran successfully nbsp I then purchased a SATA to USB enclosure and tested the HDDs with my laptop I could read the data on the g and format the TB when they were in Windows does not recognize any hard drives the enclosure I could not access the SSD when I installed it nbsp I tried to use the factory disks to install Win back on the computer but it could not find any HDD to install it on nbsp I downloaded the HP diagnostics and ran all of them on both HDD and they finished with no errors I tried to install Win again but got the same results I went into CMD PROMPT and tried DISKPART list disk No HDD were found nbsp I would like some help to determine what I need to replace to make my system run again

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Windows-does-not-recognize-any-hard-drives/td-p/5786734
Relevancy 51.17%

I have a dell with win xp home, 1.5 gb ram.

I have two hard drives, each with two partitions. The partition on the second hard drive is not recognized. I can access it by using the run command and typing "G:\" and the drive(s) are listed under Computer Management/Disk management. USB drives (card readers and external hard drives) are treated the same.

Also, when I try to acess Device Manager from the Control Panel/System, I receive an error message that I don't have access. In addition, the Control Panel/User Accounts does not open. The Device Manager is accessable from Computer Management. Both work in the safe mode.

Am I looking at a re-install of win XP? Please say no.

A:My Computer does not recognize drives past F:\

Hi,
I am not quite sure abt the problem..but the folowing can be the possible reason....

1) Is the user you logged in and trying to access the Device Manager has administrative rights??. If not try logging in using the User which has Admin rights and check whether u can access the Device Manager.

2) Is the 2nd drive that u can't access..can be visible thru My Computer or not
3) If visible..is there any data in it??. If no data in the dirve, thru Disk Management delete the drive and re-create the partition.
4) It is recommended to keep the Drive name as "C:\" for the primary O.S drive but not mandatory.

Most probably i think the problem u are afacingis due to lack of admin rights..coz... i also faced the same prob with the CD-ROM instead of the HDD drive.

Coming to the re-installation thing.. try installing the XP once again with out formatting..mentioning the installing option as "Update" instead of "New Installation" which update the corrupted system files and the registries...

Hope this helps you out for some extent.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-computer-does-not-recognize-drives-past-f.414820/