Windows Support Forum

MS Outlook 2003 - default sort order on folders

Q: MS Outlook 2003 - default sort order on folders

A user has created lots of personal folders. Some of these folders when selected are showing as 'There are no items to show in this view' even though at the bottom left of the screen it says that it contains eg. 30 items.

These folders are sorting by default to 'by flag' even though the user does not use flags. If he chooses to change the sort manually to 'by From date' or any other field, the messages then show as normal.

The user would like to set a default sort order for all existing and any newly created folders. Is this possible?

Thanks.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ms-outlook-2003-default-sort-order-on-folders.412689/
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: MS Outlook 2003 - default sort order on folders

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 92.45%

Hi!

At first I am working with Outlook 2003 and an Exchange 2003 Server.
The Exchange server has a 32 K rule limitation for every user.
For this reason I need an Outlook 2003 addon to sort all incoming mails in special folders.
Is something like this anywhere available?
Regards,
Gicio

A:Need Outlook 2003 addon: sort emails in special folders?

SORT? Sort by...?
Do you mean that you want your mails to be moved to certain folders depending on subject or who sent? If so, that is the Rules Wizard. In prior versions, it's under the Tools menu.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-outlook-2003-addon-sort-emails-in-special-folders.178153/
Relevancy 86.86%

Hi,

Somehow my sort order has been changed somehow. On another post I see that it goes to the view tab to change the order, however the view tab is not shown when I open a folder. What I see is "organize, share with, Burn, and new folder.

I would like to change back to normal aphabetical order. How do I do this?

best,

Mike

A:Sort Order for folders

Windows Explorer Auto Arrange - Disable - This Tutorial disables Auto Arrange in all folders except Libraries, to allow free sorting.

When you disable Auto Arrange and either move or rename a folder, it will refresh Auto Arrange in that specific moved or renamed folder ONLY, after each time you move or rename it. Auto Arrange is still disabled for that moved or renamed folder, but you will have to arrange the files back to whatever non-auto arranged order you like after moving or renaming the folder.

Here's some additional help:
How to Change the Group By - Sort By - Stack By - Arrange By View in Windows 7 Explorer

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/161466-sort-order-folders.html
Relevancy 85.57%

Ok i gooffed But in the process i learned also After tearing apart my keyboard and giving it a VERY COMPLETE cleaning i in order listings directory Default sort had maybe or keys which were stuck Needless to say they showed up as stuck at the busiest time of day so i got a BIT annoyed Like a dummy i began pressing keys wildly in anger Default sort order in directory listings It seems i found totally by accident a magical keystorke sequence which has forever changed the way my directory listings show in an quot Open quot dialog The problem does NOT happen in Micorsoft applications But in all others it does The directories and files are in reverse order If i open quot Windows Explorer quot everythiinng is fine If i choose quot Open quot in Word or Excel again everything is fine BUT if i choose quot Open quot in Adobe Reader the sorted order is reversed Likewise for all my non-Micorsoft software I process mailing lists for a direct marketing company and have litterally s of directories This is an annoying little bugger since i have become accustomed in the past years to my file handeling routines Any help would be appriciated nbsp

Relevancy 85.57%

Hello I am using Windows XP I just tried 2003 new folders doesn't data have Outlook file default to create a new outlook data file Outlook and it was successful except for the fact that instead of the usual set of default folders it only has folders in it the quot Deleted Items quot and quot Search Folders quot Nothing else In the past when I have created a new pst file it has always Outlook 2003 new data file doesn't have default folders had the usual default folders in it Calendar Contacts Deleted Items Drafts Inbox Journal Junk Email Notes Outbox Sent Items Tasks Search Folders I have done a quot Detect and Repair quot on Outlook which it completed successfully but with no changes to this problem Googling the issue has yielded no results either so since I have frequently found answers to my problems on this forum I am trying you guys to see if anyone might be able to help me learn what the trouble is here Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to offer nbsp

A:Outlook 2003 new data file doesn't have default folders

Hi SomePerson
Welcome to Tech Support Guy Forums!

That is normal, when the Personal Folders (.pst file) becomes the Default Delivery Location, it will then take on the Inbox, Outbox, Sent Items etc., folders.

Are you planning on using the new Personal Folders for storage?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/outlook-2003-new-data-file-doesnt-have-default-folders.796446/
Relevancy 85.57%

I am running Office 2003 and Windows 7.
On trying to open Outlook I get the following error message "unable to open your default e mail folders. the information store could not be opened". This is a new fault. The system was previously working. Problems started when I replaced the outlook.pst file with info from another computer. However I did a recovery and it started to work again with the new outlook.pst. However it has now gone back to the above referenced error message.
I have run scanpst on the outlook.pst file but it comes back with no faults. I have removed Office 2003 and re-installed but all to no avail.

Anyone any ideas.

Relevancy 82.99%

I have found that if you arrange the order of the libraries in my case each for documents - Library save order, by, default location display arrange/sort pictures video music via move up down right-click Library - display order, arrange/sort by, default save location when pulling up LOCATIONS link it changes the way it shows in the left-hand library quot tree quot gt view But it seems that you need to sort by library name to get my D library to show at the TOP Additionally I'm confused by the default save location If I do a quot save as quot of a pic on a webpage when the save applet file opens it defaults to C Users Jim and NOT the D Libraries Pictures as has been set by me as default As well some times the pulldown for save file TYPE has ONLY bmp shown I can't save a jpg I haven't figured out the pattern as to why this occurs but I usually have to close all IE and Windows Explorer windows and retry to get jpg as an option

A:Library - display order, arrange/sort by, default save location

Can anyone figure out why my default save location is not honored (in this example for PICTURES). Whenever the "save" applet comes up, it's pointing to C:\users\Jim\iTunes\album?cache (can't recall last node name). It never did this before.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/198448-library-display-order-arrange-sort-default-save-location.html
Relevancy 80.41%

In Outlook, I can have an email highlighted to see it in the preview pane. Sorting on most fields keeps the message selected. However, sorting on the FROM field always switches me off my selected message and automatically selects the first message at the top of the list.

This is VERY annoying, especially as I am trying to refer back to all messages from that sender. Is there a way to correct the Outlook behavior? I think it is pernicious to force me to look at some other message when I sort on the FROM field, especially when this bad behavior only occurs on sorting that one field.

Tried to find this info before posting, but could not locate it using my search line-of-thinking. Sorry if this duplicates any previous posts.

A:Outlook - sort order - FROM - odd behavior

if you were to remove the 'From' column . . . would you get the same result with next field? if not, re-add 'From' and see if the problem persist.

http://www.sevenforums.com/microsoft-office/105144-outlook-sort-order-odd-behavior.html
Relevancy 78.69%

I have W7 Professional. All programs live on C, which is SSD, and all my data on C drive. I have a big folder (name FTF) in My Documents, and it is driving me nuts. It contains a lot of sub-folders, and also a lot of files of various types. I would love them to appear in alphabetical order as standard, but don't seem to be able to achieve that. If I sort by name... then Windows digs inside all the subfolders and lists all the individual files so that the list becomes unmanageably large, and I cannot see the subfolders themselves.

If I access from libraries, it sorts in "last accessed" or "last modified" order, which isnt bad.... top right says "Arrange by Folder"...

But how on earth can I get it sorted alphabetically, with the subfolders also in alpha order at the top?

Relevancy 78.69%

I used to get my "main" folder with the sub folder (sent, delete, etc) in alphabetical order. Now They have reversed, they are sorted Z-A, not A-Z. Again, the main folder, I.E. by E-mail address. How can I get this back to sort A-Z?
Thanks

There should be an "office" forum for just Office suite questions, then a Sub directory within that for different versions of Office, just a thought. Many people have questions on MS Office like Access, Excel, Word, etc.

A:Solved: Office 2010 Outlook Sort Order

silverado4 said:

I used to get my "main" folder with the sub folder (sent, delete, etc) in alphabetical order. Now They have reversed, they are sorted Z-A, not A-Z. Again, the main folder, I.E. by E-mail address. How can I get this back to sort A-Z?
Thanks

There should be an "office" forum for just Office suite questions, then a Sub directory within that for different versions of Office, just a thought. Many people have questions on MS Office like Access, Excel, Word, etc.Click to expand...

There is a forum for Office applications , it's the Business Applications forum so I'll move this there.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-office-2010-outlook-sort-order.1153263/
Relevancy 77.83%

After reading this site and searching the net, I tried to rename the user, backed up files, started from scratch and tried to import the old files....still no success...I need some actual walk me through it help.....I went to the mail icon in the control panel...set-up a user then associated a data file, in the email section, I tried to switch the default file to the one I wanted....still no luck....Please, if you are very well knowledgeable about Outlook 2003, I need help....I have some business files which I am trying to restore and business contacts to contact so I'm in a bind because Outlook is not working....Stoe

I have a Toshiba Laptop running Windows Vista 32 bit Home Edition.

A:Solved: Outlook 2003 Error Message, "can't open the default folders"

Hi stoe2000

Is this a continuation of the same problem from this thread?
http://forums.techguy.org/business-...open-settings-change-default.html#post8031158

Does Outlook 2003 open for you?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-outlook-2003-error-message-cant-open-the-default-folders.1012155/
Relevancy 72.67%

Hello. If I select Date from the "Arranged By" field in Outlook 2007, it sorts by the date each message was received. I know that I can sort by the sent date by clicking on "Custom", then under Sort selecting Sent. This is a pain to go through all of this, however, since Outlook reverts back to the received date every time I sort by something else or search for an email, etc. I'd like to know if there is a way I can change Outlook so the default date sort is the sent date instead of the received date. I'm fine with editing the registry and what-not if need be.

Thanks in advance,
Micky

Relevancy 71.81%

I have followed the Help suggestion of eliminating the sorting, grouping and filter in the taskpad in the calendar view of Outlook, but I am still unable to individually change the order of tasks. I can change them if I change Outlook to the Task view, but not in the calendar view. Help!

A:Taskpad order in Outlook 2003

Hi Dorido

How would you like to sort the Tasks?

Right click on the column header: TaskPad you should get the option: Arrange By from there you can choose Custom settings.

Let us know if that works for you or not.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/taskpad-order-in-outlook-2003.372379/
Relevancy 71.38%

I have multiple email accounts download into my Inbox folder; each email account has its own unique name under Account Settings. When I try to "Sort by Email Account," the groupings are correct (i.e. each group represents one account); however, the grouping title is incorrect...it says the same name for all of them.

Any idea what's causing this and how to fix it?

Thanks,
JC

A:Outlook 2003 - Sort by Email Account

Hi carlyman

This sounds interesting.

Are the e-mail accounts subaccounts of one ISP or each a different domain as in:
1) a Gmail account
2) your own ISP account
3) and maybe another free account like my.inbox.com ?

You mention each account has its own unique name under Account Settings. Does this mean the accounts do not have their own unique name listed under the E-mail Account Header column?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/outlook-2003-sort-by-email-account.709895/
Relevancy 70.52%

Is it possible, without scripting in VBA, to sort Outlook 2003 contacts by last saved/edited date? I need to import contacts to my cell phone, which has a primitive mechanism that requires me to manually synchronize with Outlook. This sorting ability would help determine which entries have changed since the last time I updated my phone.

A:Sort Outlook 2003 contacts by last saved date?

Welcome to the forum.

I found a last saved time field but it did not seem to work for some reason.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sort-outlook-2003-contacts-by-last-saved-date.777104/
Relevancy 67.51%

I just put in a new hard reading 2003 folders Move not not 2007 from successful; Outlook to certain Outlook drive and installed the latest version of Office I kept the data and archive files from Outlook so I could import them into Outlook and get back to business However that did not happen It was able to read and bring up most of the data but I am missing some folders which are critical The critical folders are folders that were created manually They were used to store email messages that came in that were important They were simply dragged from the Inbox and put into that folder There were also folders within that folder I m not sure if these folders and subfolders were in the Inbox or not They may not have been The way I imported it was by going to TOOLS gt ACCOUNT SETTINGS gt DATA FILES tab gt and pointed to the old PST file I also pointed to the archive pst file as well but later went to FILE gt ARCHIVE and pointed to the Move from Outlook 2003 to Outlook 2007 not successful; not reading certain folders old archive pst file in there Bot ways did not reveal the folders that are needed Is Outlook not able to read all data from Outlook pst files or is there a fix for this Please advise nbsp

A:Move from Outlook 2003 to Outlook 2007 not successful; not reading certain folders

I purchased a new Notebook with Office 2007 installed and copied over my Outlook 2000 pst file. I also had manually created folders for filing important emails. Mine were sub folders within the Inbox folder. Everything copied over, but I could not see the manual folders at first until I double clicked the Inbox folder in the side panel and then they spilled out. I would look for them in that panel and double click anything there starting with Inbox, Sent etc. Also try doing a search for any subject or address of an email you may have saved.

When copying over the pst file I think everything is copied. Appears you did not just copy contacts for example, but the complete pst file. I think the folders are there as Sub Folders, just hidden within one of the main folders such as Inbox.
G

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/move-from-outlook-2003-to-outlook-2007-not-successful-not-reading-certain-folders.580711/
Relevancy 67.51%

Folks I have read the MS tech notes on how to get Outlook I have it via Office Professional full install to import from OE It fails under either option import from quot another program quot or quot Import Internet Mail quot Under the former it is pointed to the correct folder but fails with Error Cannot open another program in anything Will Outlook mail, Not Outlook 2003 Express Import folders, use quot but there's not I tried copying the folder to a nice clean location on the C and checked all the properties nothing interfering still won't open the folder Under the latter option it just doesn't do anything after directing it to the correct folder Outlook 2003 Will Not Import Outlook Express folders, mail, anything Seems to accept the command closes the window but does not import anything No error messages Umm do MS teams communicate with one another Closely related If I could just get the FOLDERS I had setup it would be a great asset or if i could just get the ADDRESS book it would help Do you know how to import dbx folders into Outlook Or the old outlook Express address Book thx z

A:Outlook 2003 Will Not Import Outlook Express folders, mail, anything

They are written in two different formats that are uncompatible. The Oulook Express has a file sytem totally unique to it.

I had the same problem about 6 weeks ago going from XP to Win7.
I had to transfer address book to notepad and put it into Outlook one at a time. The old mail sits in the old PC.
I have heard you can transfer the OE mail files over to Windows mail or gmail etc. Then transfer files from the new mail server to Outlook.
File system is changed over with the mail transfer- I haven't tried it though.
Mike

I did a Google and found this. I didn't find this page six weeks ago.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ou...001094387.aspx

http://www.sevenforums.com/microsoft-office/114833-outlook-2003-will-not-import-outlook-express-folders-mail-anything.html
Relevancy 64.93%

Hi,

I'm looking for a way to have a particular folder open when I start Outlook 2003. Currently, I have to go through 3 or so different folders to get to this one which is used frequently. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks,

JFresh

Relevancy 64.93%

Am trying -using 7zip- to compress & email but unable to do so as Outlook is not my default. Apparently Live Mail is.

How can I change please?

Thanks.

A:MS Outlook 2003 - Default email

One of the following links should help:
Set Outlook 2003 as default mail client in Windows 2007 - Microsoft Community
Outlook -> Tools -> Options -> Other tab -> Check 'Make Outlook the
default program'

Also:
Default Programs - Set a Program's Default Associations

http://www.sevenforums.com/microsoft-office/259141-ms-outlook-2003-default-email.html
Relevancy 64.93%

Hi All,

I have uninstalled Thunderbird & installed Outlook 2003, How to make it default email client?
As I cannot see it in default program list.

Can Any body Pls help? Thanks in advance...........

http://www.vistax64.com/software/214718-how-make-outlook-2003-default.html
Relevancy 64.93%

Hi

My underline button is on by default in Outlook 2003 in the html format.
Even when i do cltr+u on it it is disabled but after sending the mail all the text stays underlined.Please help?

A:Underline on by default in outlook 2003

My underline button is on by default in Outlook 2003 in the html format.
Even when i do cltr+u on it it is disabled but after sending the mail all the text stays underlined.Please help?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/underline-on-by-default-in-outlook-2003.629934/
Relevancy 64.5%

I am having to send my piece-o-crap HP HDX laptop back to HP, again, for repair. I have my Outlook 2007 pst backup file that I now need to add to my desktop, which uses Outlook 2003.

I went to Tools, Email Accounts to change default file, but not changing it. Not sure exactly what I need to do. Can someone please send me the exact steps to have my Outlook 2007 pst file added to 2003 as my default?

Thanks for your help!

Relevancy 64.5%

Under "My Calendars" I have "Calendar (2)" which leads me to believe somehow I have duplicated my default calendar.

Is there a way to delete the duplicate? or is this even what the problem is?

Hopefully easy question for Outlook mavens ...

A:Duplicate default calendar in Outlook 2003

Hi glbcpa

Right click on the duplicate calendar, if the option Delete "Calendar 2" is enabled then you can simply delete the extra calendar.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/duplicate-default-calendar-in-outlook-2003.706464/
Relevancy 64.5%

Does anyone know if you can change the default calendar in OL03?

I have an iphone and signed up for mobile be (which could be very cool if it ever works right) and I'm having an awful time syncing calendars... iphone recognizes a lot of calendars and outlook can see all of them, too but does not combine them.

so I figured out that I can change all the entries to HOME and then I can see one month view on outlook, but it's a PITA having to navigate to the HOME calendar from the default one.

As I write this, I see I probably should have asked before I did all this work whether or not there is a way to combine multiple calendars in Outlook???

thanks,

tom

A:Outlook 2003 - change default calendar???

I think this answers your question about merging 2 calendars in Outlook:
http://outlook-tips.net/cs/blogs/outlooktips/archive/2007/09/06/690.aspx

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/outlook-2003-change-default-calendar.733378/
Relevancy 64.5%

I've seen some posts with similar issues here; however none of them seem to address my problem exactly.

Here is what happens.

When I change my default EM account under 'Tools, E-mail accounts' it accepts the changes. However, in reality it keeps the old default and always reverts back. The only way to set a new default EM account is to delete the old one.

However, as soon as I add the deleted account once again; immediately Outlook reverts back once again.
Anything to be done? Or do I have to delete the profile and start from scratch?

Thanks for your help !

Relevancy 64.07%

I am wondering if there is anyway to send a folder from your Outlook Mailbox to another user. My folder is divided into subfolders so it would be really inconvienient to have to try to go in and select every file manually. Any workarounds?

Desi

A:Outlook 2003 - Sending Folders

You can't attach a folder (it will only be a shortcut to the real folder), but it's easy to select a whole batch of messages inside a folder.

Click on the folder to open it.
Now click on the first message-header in right-hand pane.
Hold down SHIFT and click on last message at bottom of headers list.
This automatically selects ALL items in that folder.
Right-click anywhere inside highlighted list and choose 'Forward Items'.
A new email window will open with all the items attached.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/outlook-2003-sending-folders-60465.html
Relevancy 64.07%

Outlook will not create new folders in left pane in normal boot.
Booting in Safe Mode will allow outlook to create new folders.
Suggestions ?

A:no new folders in outlook 2003 win7

I still use Outlook 2003. Have you tried Detect and Repair? (Its under Help).

(I used to live in KC)

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/369716-no-new-folders-outlook-2003-win7.html
Relevancy 64.07%

Could anybody tell me, step by step, how to do for folding every file in Outlook 2003? I have a special file already partially filled (I don't know when and how), but, by now, I cannot get anything to file. Also, I have the respective filed folders in the application, all of them absolutely empty. I click "file" but nothing happens. I have never seen the windows asking me about this issue as said in "help". It's impossible to find anything at this respect in internet. I have thousands of messages in both out and in folders and the applications opens extremely slow. Many thanks and regards.

A:How To Folders File In Outlook 2003

I discovered America!!!!!!!!!!!! I already fixed the problem. But, does it makes the application lighter?Many thanks and regardsCould anybody tell me, step by step, how to do for folding every file in Outlook 2003? I have a special file already partially filled (I don't know when and how), but, by now, I cannot get anything to file. Also, I have the respective filed folders in the application, all of them absolutely empty. I click "file" but nothing happens. I have never seen the windows asking me about this issue as said in "help". It's impossible to find anything at this respect in internet. I have thousands of messages in both out and in folders and the applications opens extremely slow. Many thanks and regards.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/140214/how-to-folders-file-in-outlook-2003/
Relevancy 64.07%

In my Outlook 2003 I have 2 sets of identical private folders for my mail, and I can not see how to delete one of them.
By right click on one of them there are no possibilities to delete.
If I make a subfolder, this will also appear in the other set. If I delete a subfolder in one of them, this will also be deleted in the other set.

Any hints?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/double-set-of-folders-in-outlook-2003.630938/
Relevancy 64.07%

Can someone please tell what the value is and what does Synchronizing folders do. I know there was a tread sometime back on this subject but it did not include XP or outlook 2003. This Synchronizing process shuts my system every time it starts and it seems it is doing it more often. What can be done about. Gary

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/outlook-2003-synchronizing-folders.1012300/
Relevancy 63.64%

Hello to all!

I would like some help... When I download a file, a picture etc., I want the downloaded file to be placed at the end of all files in the folder! Not in "front", or at random (see pic below).

How can I accomplish this? (In WindowsXP, files - by default - were placed at the "right place" of the last one, in a folder).

Thanks in advance.

A:Sort order

Right click in the folder, go to View. If auto arrange is on, turn it off, if it's off, turn it on. Hopefully it will give you the opposite effect of what your getting now.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/224236-sort-order.html
Relevancy 63.64%

Hello all, I have a folder of movies, each with their proper titles. However, instead of having sequels listed after the first movies in their series, the first movie will be placed after the other movies. For example, I have X-Men 2, X-Men 3, X-Men Origins - Wolverine, then X-Men. Or The Hangover 2, The Hangover. Why is this happening, since it is in no way logical, and is there a way to correct the issue?

Thank you for your assistance.

A:Help: Sort Order

What does short order mean.

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/242076-help-sort-order.html
Relevancy 63.64%

I have several email addresses stored in Outlook and my main address is selected as the default.

When I create a new message, the default address is used. However, when I reply to a message or forward a message, it alternates between my different email addresses and I have to manually change it to send from my regular email address, which is annoying.

I can't find anything in the Help section on how to fix this and there don't seem to be any settings to override this.

I can't even seem to create a new Rule to automatically send from my regular email address (but shouldn't have to do that anyway).

Any ideas??????

Relevancy 63.64%

Member of staff wants to change his default Outlook calendar to that of another whose calendar is used as the office-wide calendar.

In play: Microsoft XP Exchange Server

Any suggestions appreciated. Thank you and Happy Holidays!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-do-you-change-your-default-calendar-on-outlook-2003-version.964518/
Relevancy 63.64%

Hey guys,
im new on here, i found your site while searching for another problem, which i obviously found the solution for here.

I was wondering if you guys could help me figure this one out. I'm on a company network (exchange server), where i have my contacts in a public folder. However when i receive an email, and i right click and press add to contacts, it automatically adds it to my personal contactlist and not the one in the public folders. Is there any way to change the default save-to address book?

hope you guys can help

p.s i realise that you can either drag it, or instead click file/move to and so on, however as i add quite a lot of contacts it would be nice if it was done automatically

A:Outlook 2003: default save-to address book

1. On your standard tool bar select the Address Book Icon
2. Select Tools on the dialog box that appears
3. Select Options from the drop Down Menu
4. Chage the option for "Keep Personal addresses Here"

Good Luck

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/outlook-2003-default-save-to-address-book.640493/
Relevancy 63.64%

Well outlook settings 2003 With in ...change default Open to I am using the windows vista bit operating system I have searched the Internet to find a fix to my problem Originally I was Open With settings ...change to default in outlook 2003 having trouble opening Outlook and receiving the quot unable to open the default folder error quot Well I still have the same problem but it seems I created more problems Therefore I need the help of someone more knowledgeable than myself In my infinite wisdom I thought that by Open With settings ...change to default in outlook 2003 changing the open with setting of the folders outlook would work I clicked on the file right clicked on properties and decided to open the file folders by changing the default settings of my pst outllook folders to just outlook Now the Microsoft multicolored icon Open With settings ...change to default in outlook 2003 next to the folders changed and everytime I incur an outlook folder the Microsoft multicolored icon is gone I went back in and tried to change them back to the original settings but I can t seem to find the program to use In addition I have used outlook tools scanpst to save my sanity I will not attempt the registry fix tried the detect and repair created a new username lost the original username found it and redirected to the original outlook folder associated the default outlook folder to the new username as you can see I have tried several steps which has probably been a huge mistake Therefore First can anyone help me get the quot open with quot settings for the Outlook pst files back to normal When you go to Docs amp Settings user local programs outlook They used to read outlook or outlook with a Microsoft multicolored symbol in front of them now the pst is next to the file and there is no Microsoft multcolored symbol Can you help me return it to the default settings so the pst is gone and the symbol is back with just the word outlook next to it Secondly can you help me with the quot unable to open the default settings quot error I need a fairly simple fix so I can recover all the information in the Outlook pst folder If I have to remove Outlook and reinstall it can I just create a new username and point the new user to the old original pst folder Will this fix my problem Thanks for the help Stoe nbsp

Relevancy 63.64%

I'm having a wonderful problem..

Basically, I have outlook 2003. I have a default account setup. It says it's using the default account when I send the message. I even select that account - but outlook still randomly picks another account to sent the e-mail with. I have no idea how to fix this problem.

A:Outlook 2003: Sends e-mails using other accounts besides default

I found the issue.. turns out login to smtp server was turned off so it defaulted to the only account that was actually sending e-mails.. instead of giving me an error (THX OUTLOOK FOR DECIDING WHAT SHOULD HAPPEN WITH MY E-MAIL LUV YA MICROSOFT)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/outlook-2003-sends-e-mails-using-other-accounts-besides-default.283436/
Relevancy 63.64%

I have Office Basic Edition installed on Windows Home Premium From within Outlook I have set Outlook to be my default email as set how Win7 do client Outlook default you 2003 mail program yet clicking on how do you set Outlook 2003 as Win7 default mail client any email link through Internet Explorer or any other program brings up Windows Live Mail which I do not wish to use From within Word if I opt to send a document by using 'File-Send To-Mail Recipient' then it does use Outlook this is the only instance I have discovered of it obeying my command But if I use 'File-Send To-Mail Recipient as Attachment ' which I use far more often then again it defaults to Windows Live Mail If I access the Default Programs menu in Win it does not offer Outlook as a choice to make my default email program even though the program is fully installed and is running in all other respects without any glitches If from within Default Programs I highlight Windows Live Mail and try to 'Choose defaults for this program' it does not allow me to deselect associations for the program so I cannot deactivate Windows Live Mail either Has anyone found a way around this problem or has Microsoft decided to force its customers into using Windows Live Mail as a default email client thereby making it impossible to work with another email program that functions with full default email functionality I have found a few threads about the problem but no answers to date There must be someone out there who has worked out a solution Has anyone tried uninstalling Windows Live Mail to see if that makes a difference

A:how do you set Outlook 2003 as Win7 default mail client

Hi ralphmurmegen! Welcome to SevenForums.

Just to double check that you have followed the following procedure:

Click Start.
Type "default programs" in the Start Search box.
Click Default Programs under Programs in the search results.
Now click Set your default programs.
Highlight Microsoft Office Outlook or Microsoft Outlook on the left.
Click Set this program as default.
Click OK.
Are you saying that "Outlook" does not appear under the "Program" list on the left?

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/57814-how-do-you-set-outlook-2003-win7-default-mail-client.html
Relevancy 63.64%

Hi there,

I am using Outlook 2003 and I have many contacts that have multiple email addresses and I can not seem to find the option to allow me to specify which email address is the default for my contacts that have more than one email address.

Any help is appreciated.

RGDS & TIA

Curtis M.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/outlook-2003-set-a-contacts-default-email-address.354130/
Relevancy 63.64%

Hi, I am a single person running Outlook on my home laptop. I do not use Microsoft Exchange Server.

I have a custom contact form that I use for all new contacts.

I have saved it as the default form in my Contacts Folder and all new contacts successfully use that form.

The problem is I cannot modify edit or change that default form. Every time I make a change and try to save the updated form as the default contact form, Outlook keeps calling up the old form.

I have read everything I can find to solve the problem but nothing seems to work.

I suspect that there is a copy of the original form that I may have saved in a different folder somewhere that Outlook keeps accssing but I cannot find it.

Any help I can get will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jerry

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/outlook-2003-help-i-cannot-edit-default-contact-form.1056779/
Relevancy 63.64%

MS Outlook 2003 on XP Pro
Computer was originally set up with XP on drive C: and Office 2003 on Drive D. Recently backed up D but not C, then deleted all partitions, reformatted, repartitioned and re-installed XP on C: drive. My problem is that I didnít specifically back up the mail folders in Outlook just before I formatted everything and I canít find them in the new installation (or the backup to import them into the new copy of Outlook). Entire computer searches for pst, ost, dbx, & mailbox don't find anything useful. Anybody know where they'd be hiding? Even if the old ones are gone, the new installation must have these folders stashed somewhere but I can't find them either. Thanks for any help.

Relevancy 63.64%

Hi. Recently installed Outlook 2003 on new Dell Laptop. Have heavily used Favorit Folders Pane in Outlook in the past. On my new laptop however, every time Outlook closes or I power down, the Favorite Folders Pane forgets/deletes all the folders I've put there. Kind of a Pain in the tuchus. Is there a way to save my changes that I'm not figuring?

Also... recently noticed that when I respond to an email in Outlook, my response font that I see is severely enlarged. Does not seem to come back to me that way. Any way to reset this also?

Thanks. Will

A:Outlook 2003 Favorite Folders Pane

Having the same problem with a user here with the folders disappearing... best we could find was when you make the folder make sure there are no special characters... especially / as it just deletes the folder... course this wasn't our particular problem still won't save the folders...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/outlook-2003-favorite-folders-pane.476127/
Relevancy 63.64%

Anyone out there a whizz with Outlook 2003, in particular the proxy mailbox settings?

I have a user who used to have proxy rights to the inbox only of another mailbox, but this has now changed. It is easy enough to add inbox access by using File, Open, Other Users Folder etc. but how do you then remove that inbox from the list that appears under File, Open?

I have changed their mailbox rights on the server so they are no longer able to open the inbox, but ideally I need to remove the inbox from this list as for office politics I don't want the new user to know that they used to have this permission and now don't.

Have already searched the MS online help and not found anything so any ideas appreciated as don't really want to have to reinstall Outlook to get rid of it.

A:Outlook 2003 - Open Other Users Folders

The only way I've found to clear this list is to rebuild the Outlook profile. If someone else has a better fix, that would be great.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/outlook-2003-open-other-users-folders.317663/
Relevancy 63.64%

I use with acceptable good results this application and have been quot believing quot I was saving my folders As a matter of fact when I manually run quot file quot from the file menu for every folder it seems to start filing at the right bottom of screen But but when I open the respective quot filed Outlook 2003's Folders Filing (saving) folders quot I do not find anything Nor has ever appeared the famous window asking me what Outlook 2003's Folders Filing (saving) to do Also the not filed folders remain equal There is a pst file with a few thousands of Kb in the hard disk but it doesn't seem to get modified What should I do In other words if filing or saving has Outlook 2003's Folders Filing (saving) been indeed done where are those messages How can I reach them if so Are saved messages suppose to disappear from the original folders I think they should but in this field everything is possible I deeply thank any help in this matter

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/137671/outlook-2003s-folders-filing-saving/
Relevancy 63.64%

I just got a new computer and my folders in Outlook are arranged differently than I would like. I can fix this by right clicking on the top of the folder pane and unchecking the "Show in Groups" box, then rt click again, go to Custom..., Other Settings... and uncheck the "Use Multi-line Layout..." box. But I have a few hundred folders, so that will take a long time.

So I have two questions:

1. Can I do all of my folders at the same time?
2. How do I make all new folders the same way?

Thanks.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/outlook-2003-mail-folders-view.668034/
Relevancy 63.64%

I have set up a public folder on my exchange but now my co-workers and
I cannot do a quick search of that folder. Even when we try to begin
to type in a name, no suggestions for that name appear. Any ideas?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/outlook-2003-searching-public-folders.330383/
Relevancy 63.64%

If I never deleted some personal folders, they still have to be there somewhere right? If someone clicks CLOSE PERSONAL FOLDERS, does that delete them? There has to be a way to restore them if they are missing from the Mailbox tree.

A:Recover Personal Folders In Outlook 2003

Hi, jgadrummer:If all you did was use the option to Close Personal Folders, the file will still exist somewhere on your computer. If you can find the personal folder file(.pst), you can add it back to Outlook by using the Mail icon in the Control Panel. Click Data Files..., Add..., follow the rest of the prompts by selecting the proper personal folders file type, and locate and select your Personal Folders file. By default, mine opened in the folder location where the existing personal folders file was located.Hope that helps,

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/65750/recover-personal-folders-in-outlook-2003/
Relevancy 63.64%

Have noticed that I have 2 outlook.pst folders as in this jpg: outlook2folders.jpg
How do I get rid of the duplicate outlook.pst folder in the above jpg ?

Found link on MS site on this...BUT...I get the attached jpg errors when following directions: outlook2folders2.jpg

Found a registry edit to fix this but not for Win 7 Pro 64bit apparently ?

Running Windows 7 Pro 64bit with Office 2003 (Outlook)

Thanks...TR

A:How to remove duplicate pst folders in Outlook 2003

Try this pal

Close Outlook
Goto "Control panel" "mail" "data files"

You will see the 2 pst files (personal folders) select the one you don't want then click "remove"

http://www.sevenforums.com/microsoft-office/120169-how-remove-duplicate-pst-folders-outlook-2003-a.html
Relevancy 63.64%

I recently had a problem with Outlook I use Win XP Pro SP Office SP when it started refusing to retain my POP passwords on my email accounts After a lot of searching on the web I came to the conclusion that my user profile was corrupted and I set up a new user profile copied from the older user profile following directions on an MS KB article A number of programs had to be reinstalled -- they wouldn t work properly on the new profile Two problems were immediately evident My toolbar customizations would not stick After more searching I was able to solve this problem by renaming the old outcmd dat file with Folders Favorite in Problem 2003 Outlook and having Outlook generate a new one The problem I can t solve -- please help -- is one related to Favorite Folders I like using the Outlook Favorite Problem with Favorite Folders in Outlook 2003 Folders for instant access to my created subfolders Currenlty Outlook shows the default folders -- problem is when Problem with Favorite Folders in Outlook 2003 I add a folder -- any folder -- from the quot All Mail Folders quot list to the Favourite Folders it doesn t stick -- it s gone once I exit and relaunch Outlook How do I solve this issue I have ten or so email accounts and I just finished re-creating them so I would like to do this without creating a new Outlook profile if possible Another issue which may be relevant is that quot All Mail Folders quot shows TWO instances of quot Personal Folders quot each of which is a duplicate of another Any help would be appreciated Thanks nbsp

A:Problem with Favorite Folders in Outlook 2003

I had the same problems with the Favorites Folder and multiple Personal Folders and cured both problems by creating a new profile. In my case this was quite easy as I keep a Master Profile so all I had to do was copy it and delete the old Operational Profile.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problem-with-favorite-folders-in-outlook-2003.415114/
Relevancy 63.64%

Appart of having to archive manually (it doesn't archive automatically), now Outlook 2003, presents the frequent disappearence of the favourite character of folders, giving bothering and loose of time. Many thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/outlook-2003-favourite-folders-troubles.760342/
Relevancy 63.64%

I recently had to reload my computer from scratch. I reinstalled Outlook 2003 which is connected through an Exchange Server. Since reinstalling I have been unable to create new folders through Outlook. However, I can create new folders by going through a web access function. This, of course, makes no sense to me at all. I am hopeful someone can clarify to me what it is I need to do to correct this problem.

Thank you.

A:unable to create folders in Outlook 2003

Are you sure that you have all of the Exchange setting entered correctly?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/unable-to-create-folders-in-outlook-2003.899709/
Relevancy 63.21%

Hi, sorry if this is the wrong section, I'm new and didn't see a request section.
I wanted to know how to change the default name sort order from this:
A 2
A Modified
A
To:
A
A 2
A Modified
In windows 7.
Thanks in advance.

A:Help: Change Name Sort Order

Hello Swordzero, and welcome to Seven Forums.

You might see if this may be able to have sorted the way you want after appying it.

Sort Order - Numbers in File and Folder Names - Vista Forums

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/70292-help-change-name-sort-order.html
Relevancy 63.21%

Im trying to sort the alphabetical order of my programs. I know that I should be able right click in the program menu to activate the "Sort order" option but this does not seem to be available. Any ideas
Thanks

Relevancy 63.21%

Running Windows 7 Ultimate.

In Windows Explorer, I have set to sort files by name in ascending order and to group by nothing. The files are in an approximate order by name; but, many files are out of order and only near where they should be. In the attached screen shot, only the right-hand column is relevant to the question. Please note that "201306events" comes before files with lower names such as "20130516beachparty".

How do I fix this?

Relevancy 62.78%

Hi I have what I hope is a temporary change Outlook not email default Can in address 2003 Microsoft need to change my default quot from quot email address I Can not change default email address in Microsoft Outlook 2003 have changed it from say aaa to bbb using tools email change emailaddress and also rest the quot more settings reply email facility so replies go to my new email address too I have set the bbb as my default email account using tools email set as default Here is the Can not change default email address in Microsoft Outlook 2003 problem when I create quot new quot emails it correctly uses the new quot bbb quot email address as my from address All seems to be OK BUT IF I receive a reply to this email that I sent that was sent out with my bbb email address and THEN I try to REPLY to it - the reply email now shows at the top quot this email will be sent via aaa quot - rather than the bbb I want it too I hope I have explained it clearly - and you can see the frustration of the outloook programme It is as though outlook simply refuses to recognise the new default email account I have set up Frustrating to say the least - any technical help appreciated Cheers Mike nbsp

A:Can not change default email address in Microsoft Outlook 2003

By any chance do the bbb e-mail account settings in Outlook show your aaa address as a "Reply to" address? The entry can be found in "More settings ... -> General Tab" when the bbb account is open for editing.

I don't have any other suggestions other than that.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-not-change-default-email-address-in-microsoft-outlook-2003.738977/
Relevancy 62.78%

Hi, I run Outlook on my home laptop. I do not use Microsoft Exchange Server.

I have a custom contact form that I use for all new contacts.

I have saved it as the default form in my Contacts Folder and all new contacts successfully use that form.

Unfortunately, I cannot modify edit or change that default form.

Every time I make a change and try to save the updated form as the default contact form, Outlook keeps calling up the old form.

I have read everything I can find to solve the problem but nothing seems to work.

I suspect that there is a copy of the original form that I may have saved in a different folder somewhere that Outlook keeps accssing but I cannot find it.

Any help I can get will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jerry

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/outlook-2003-making-custom-contact-form-the-default.1057187/
Relevancy 62.78%

Hi,

I just got new computer with Vista 32-bit OS.

I use Outlook 2003 for my business email(I just use Outlook for sending/receiving email) and Windows Mail for my personal email. I sometimes send merged email to my customers using Word 2003 and Excel 2003. I made Outlook 2003 the default program so that I could send merged email through my account in Outlook. The computer did come with MS Office 2007, but I had to reinstall Vista because of a different issue -- now even if I make Outlook the default program, the email goes from my Windows mail account, not from Outlook.

Does anyone have any advice on how to correct this?

A:Solved: I want to make Outlook 2003 the default email program

Go to Start, Control Panel, Programs, Default Programs, then Set your Default programs.

There you should get a list of installed programs, you can select the program you want to be the default.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-i-want-to-make-outlook-2003-the-default-email-program.837134/
Relevancy 62.78%

I know technically there is no way in Outlook to password protect folders. However, I was wondering if someone knew a workaround where folders within Outlook could be protected by a password?

Relevancy 62.78%

I downloaded the Personal Folders Backup add-in for Outlook from the Microsoft Office downloads site When I try to install it I get into a Catch situation First I get a message quot Setup has detected that you already have a version of Personal Folders Backup installed on this machine Before the download can be installed you must first uninstall the previous version To uninstall please answer yes to the next question quot When I click OK I get the message quot Are you sure you want to uninstall this product quot When I click Yes I get the message quot This action is only valid for products that are currently installed quot When I click OK I get the message quot To install this download please uninstall the previous version of Personal Folders Backup using the Add Remove Programs Control Panel quot There is no Personal Folders Backup for Backup add-in Folders Personal (Solved) Outlook 2003 shown in the Add Remove Programs list Anyone have any information on what is messed up in my Registry Apparently one place says I have PFB installed and (Solved) Personal Folders Backup add-in for Outlook 2003 somewhere else says I don t (Solved) Personal Folders Backup add-in for Outlook 2003 nbsp

Relevancy 62.78%

A user at my workplace intermittantly get the following error message when trying to open his archive folders on Outlook 2003:

Archive.pst is in use and could not be accessed. Close any application that is using this file, and then try again.

If he then closes Outlook and opens it again he usually can open his archive folders (he has about 6) but after opening several of them he gets the error message again. I initially thought it was a corrupt pst file but they can't all be corrupt.
Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Relevancy 62.78%

Can someone advise if it is possible to view a Calendar (possibly shared) at the same time as having mail/folders open at the same time? i.e Mail folders showing on left and calendar on right?

A:Viewing Calendar with Mail folders? (Outlook 2003)

I don't think you can do that with OL 2003.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/viewing-calendar-with-mail-folders-outlook-2003.422669/
Relevancy 62.78%

For some reason I have 3 sets of Personal Folders and Calendars in my Outlook 2003 (running on Vista). When I try to delete either of the 2 that I don't want I get this error message:

"This operation failed. The object could not be found."

Does anyone know how to remedy this? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Andrew

A:Can't Delete 2nd and 3rd Personal Folders & Calendars in Outlook 2003

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-delete-2nd-and-3rd-personal-folders-calendars-in-outlook-2003.575047/
Relevancy 62.78%
Relevancy 62.78%

I want to have all the emails from one contact go into a personal folder and emails from another person go into another personal folder and so on and so forth, but i don't want to keep having to move them all by hand. Is there away to set up the folders that when a email comes in it looks at the adress and puts it into the relevent folder, if so how.
many thanks Joe

A:Solved: Outlook 2003 contact personal folders

Hi JoeMorris94

Set up Rules to move messages to the desired folders.
Tools > Rules and Alerts
Set up your conditions and actions. Then test.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-outlook-2003-contact-personal-folders.1047124/
Relevancy 62.78%

I'm using Outlook 2003 and have created hundreds of folders to deal with my incoming and sent mail. Sometimes I'll end up saving emails on the same topic in different folders and sub-folders.

When I want to locate all the emails on a single topic I'll initiate a search through my Inbox and tick the 'search in sub-folders' box as well. The search facility will find them all, OK. The output however is a single list of hits under the parent folder's name.

What I want is for the output to tell me precisely which sub-folder contained which email.

Is there a search or output sort option (or add-on) that will do this for me?

(Hope this makes sense as this is my first post!)

Thanks,

Malcolmk

A:Solved: Outlook 2003 - searching multiple folders

Hi Malcolmk

You can add a new column Header called: In Folder
Right click the column headers and select: Field Chooser, a tiny window will appear.
Click the drop down arrow and select the All Mail fields scroll down to In Folder grab it with the mouse and drag and drop it to the column header.

When you run a Search you should be able to view the folder containing the message and sort by that field as well.

That column header should, already, be included when using the Search Folders or creating new search criteria folders under Search Folders.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-outlook-2003-searching-multiple-folders.840191/
Relevancy 62.78%

How can I bring my "Favorite Folders" into view? All I can see is "All Folders".

When I right click on a folder to add it to my "Favorite Folders", it only gives me the option to remove it from "Favorite Folders". When I do a search in the help files, it just tells me how to add and remove things, not how to show it.

Thanks
Peg

A:Solved: Missing Outlook 2003 Favorite Folders

Hi MPeg3

On the Navigation Pane click on the Mail icon:

The Favorites Folder should appear:

I keep my Navigation Pane small:

Creating a Classic View in Outlook 2003
Empty the Favorite Folders pane to save space

Let us know if that works for you.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-missing-outlook-2003-favorite-folders.383388/
Relevancy 62.78%

Hi,

I was wondering if there was an easy way of assigning permissions on more than one public folder and its contents all at once?

Basically I have to add a single user to every single public folder I have access to. He will be given the same permission on every single folder and in every category contained therein.

Given this situation is there an easy way to do this quickly? I could add him manually to all of these folders but there are more than a hundred entries and I would prefer not to go that route if possible.

Thanks for all your help!

JFresh

A:OUTLOOK 2003: Assigning permissions in public folders

Not from Outlook, this needs to be done through the Exchange Admin interface. you might want to consider setting up groups in Active Directory just for this purpose, then all you need to do is add/remove users from group membership.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/outlook-2003-assigning-permissions-in-public-folders.448842/
Relevancy 62.78%

I am using Outlook 2003 connecting to an exchange 2003 service pack 2 server. When I try to move an email from one folder to another, the first one goes fine, but the second one causes Outlook to through out a system error and shut down. I have tried clearing my FORMS folder, deleting extend.dat, clearing my temp files, running a detect and repair, replacing the normal.dot file for word, and setting Outlook to not use word as the email editor. Nothing seems to work. It keeps erroring out the second time I move a file. It also does this when I delete an email as well.

Does anyone have any ideas?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/error-moving-messages-between-folders-in-outlook-2003.132421/
Relevancy 62.35%

This is going to be a silly question but I have triied searching the web and acn't find the answer.

In one of my folders I have somehow changed the file listings to be in order 'z to a' and I just can't see how to change it back to 'a to z'.

Thanks for your help

A:Solved: Sort order of listings

click on the title name - that re-orders the sort order
each time you click it will change from
0-9 A-Z
to
Z-A 9-0

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-sort-order-of-listings.1118411/
Relevancy 62.35%

I gave up trying to get the Recent Documents link to work on the Start Menu - what is the point of them being in alphabetical order??

So I just created a shortcut to the Recent folder on my desktop and started using that. But even there I can't keep it sorted in 'date modified' order. It stays that way for an hour or so, but when I go back the folder has sorted itself in alphabetical order again, and I have to start right-clicking again! Maddening.

I did once get the link on the Start Menu to sort in date order, but I don't recall how I did it sadly - I certainly can't get it to work now. But surely the folder itself should stay in the sort view I set for it? Why does it change back all by itself and how can I fix it so that it stays in date modified order?

Thanks,

Martin

A:Recent Documents sort order

If you first open Windows Explorer and go to your actual Recent Items folder (located at C:\Users\{name}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent) you can highlight the folder, change to 'Details' view and go into the Column Header to change your sort order to Date Modified.

THEN make a shortcut to that folder, and you'll have approximately 6 months worth of 'Recent Items' sorted by the date modified --- as you wanted.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/194210-recent-documents-sort-order.html
Relevancy 62.35%

Windows bit SP - Clean Install I have found an incredibly annoying problem I have external USB drives on my laptop both esata and USB I store a lot of HD video clips that I take on them It is very important that I set the sort order to Date Created due to the naming convention on my camcorder Before doing a clean install from Windows bit to Windows SP bit if I changed the order in explorer it quickly changed and then remembered the sort order so next time I went into the folder on my external drive the files were in the correct order Now whenever I go into the folder it takes up to minutes to SP1 File Sort Order installing after sort the files there are some files in the File Sort Order after installing SP1 folder If I go to other folder on my laptop then back to that folder it takes another minutes to sort them again Has anyone experienced anything like this At the moment I am tempted to go back to pre-SP I have taken the external drive to another laptop i have with SP on it and it does the same thing It's File Sort Order after installing SP1 driving no pun intended me crazy I can't wait around for windows to re-order my files whenever i go into that folder espeically as it takes such a long time Thanks for any help or suggestions

A:File Sort Order after installing SP1

Isn't it wrong in the English language to sort after "The"?

I mean, it's Arrival, The not The Arrival... as with many movies on my computer i have to put The at the end otherwise all those movies with that presentational form will be sorted under the letter T and not A as it should be.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/147583-file-sort-order-after-installing-sp1.html
Relevancy 62.35%

Is there anyhow possible to control Windows 7 file name sort order?
When I run vlc player on my Windows 7 PC files are sorted CD2,CD3,cd1 while Windows explorer sorts same sequence cd1, CD2, CD3.
Because Vlc Player uses different sort order, it's a great mess, when there are hundred of files and for example a file North123.... may be several screens before north124....
File names have been created by other users on different systems and there it is not possible to standardize anything between names and computers.
Results have been accidental data loss, when comparing and deleting identical content in file groups.
Any suggestions please?

Vlc support couldn't understand the problem and didn't provide any progressive ideas in this matter.

A:How to control Windows 7 sort order

I'm not sure if FreeCommander XL will be of any help. I have it, however, I have not "told" it how to sort, yet.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/395972-how-control-windows-7-sort-order.html
Relevancy 62.35%

Hi What do I need to do if anything to change the sorting order when listing the contents of files etc For example when I open any given folder to see the contents I have DETAILS selected as the VIEW type and when I file for Sort contents order Win XP click on the DATE header for Sort order for Win XP file contents sorting the items should be sorted chronologically Sort order for Win XP file contents but they re not there are files that are out of order I tried changing the REGIONAL date formats and the only one that sorts correctly using the year st gets too confusing to use i e - - or - - yy-mm-dd It s currently set with the standard mm-dd-yy but for some reason is in between and Is there a registry entry that I can change See my jpegs for my sorts to see exactly what I mean I have Win XP Home Ed SP and MS Office SP I await advice Thank you See my jpegs - Click on VIEW ALBUM then for best view click on PLAY SLIDESHOW then you can PAUSE each image to take a look at the lists You won t see the entire list because the image is big but you ll see enough to get the idea Thank you

A:Sort order for Win XP file contents

Try View / Arrange Icons by / Name

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/261403/sort-order-for-win-xp-file-contents/
Relevancy 62.35%

I have many folders (with a couple of thousand files) configured to display sorted by date. When using software and needing to open a file from within the program, it opens what looks like an Explorer window. However, the sort order is always by name initially and it takes a minute or so to suddenly display in the correct sort order as specified in Windows itself.

If I repeat this a few minutes later it goes through the routine all over again!

Running explorer from win8 itself is no problem, it remembers the sort order. Is there a way to make third party software that calls up an explorer window do the same please?

Incidentally having given up on the truly slow and clumsy windows search function, I installed Search Everything and it is instant and reliable. Why can't Microsoft Search be like that?

A:explorer forgets sort order

Search Everything only looks for files and folders. It is not capable of looking inside files for specific data. To find things, all it does is look at the pre-generated index of files and folders.

I'm not knocking it, I use it all the time but it is not a true search program.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/41077-explorer-forgets-sort-order.html
Relevancy 62.35%

Background Outlook SP all updates current OS XP SP all updates currentAV scan local web based results show cleanTask Created new PST folderResults new pst folder appears in all (Outlook 2003) happening strange things Mail All folders, mail folders view-- expected result expand new pst folder - gt shows deleted items amp search sub folders- gt expected result use as All Mail folders, strange things happening (Outlook 2003) any other PST folder eg move mail to from or All Mail folders, strange things happening (Outlook 2003) create new folders within this PST folder- gt system behaves as it should toggle between folders view ctrl amp mail view ctrl and - gt system behave as it should issue After a few hours or days the same PST folder you created above now shows the following what ever you had made above -- expected result New stuff as in quot inbox out box and sent items folders quot Where did these come from I did not add these I don't what them I can not delete these I have been using outlook over years this never happened before I verified on another system and this happens there also Is also shows AV scan clean and it is upto date Any clues as to how to fix this Not using any special quot views or rules so I am at a blank Mod Edit moved from XP to Web Browsing Email and Other Internet Applications boopme

A:All Mail folders, strange things happening (Outlook 2003)

Hi The_Archive_Guy. Under normal circumstances this would happen if the Deliver email to the following Location under Tools > Email Accounts > View/Change Existing Email is changed to the PST in question which would make it the default delivery location. There is no option to delete them from within Outlook. The entire data file would have to be removed.As for automatically happening without intervention, as of right now I cant confirm. I created another PST to see if it automatically happens, but as of a few hours having gone by, the change has not happened. If it does happen to change I will amend this post.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/185470/all-mail-folders-strange-things-happening-outlook-2003/
Relevancy 62.35%

Hi,

I create a Public Folder (Task Items) in Outlook 2003 and then attach one Excel Sheet in it.

I am the OWNER of the folder.

If I just click on the attachment and press the DEL button then the file gets DELETED.

I don't want that to happen. I want to BLOCK my rights of DELETING THE attachment.

How should I go about it?

Regards,

Yps

A:Outlook 2003 - Public Folders - Block DELETE Permission

If you are indeed the owner of this folder then you should be able to right-click on i and go to permissions. From here you can give users certain rights and permissions. I would give the users reviewer rights if you just want them to read the e-mails and attached items as well.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/outlook-2003-public-folders-block-delete-permission.597645/
Relevancy 61.92%

For 2 days I have been trying to get my Live Mail to post my email in Descending Order but have been unable to. The email is listed in Alphabetical Order! I never saw this before! How can I post it in Descending Order? Thanks.

A:Solved: Sort By Descending Order Gone Crazy!

is this on the web or on windows live mail client

no need for all bold font by the way

if you click on the heading for the date the mail arrived - that will sort descending or ascending - each time you click on it it changes the sort order

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-sort-by-descending-order-gone-crazy.1105489/
Relevancy 61.92%

Hi,

Is it possible to re-arrange the "Folder List" in Office XP?

My folder list used to be sorted alphabetically, but now my "Personal Folders" folder has somehow moved itself to the top above everything else.

Re-arranging it again alphabetically would be fine but I don't have a clue how to do it!

Thanks,

Graeme

Relevancy 61.92%

I've just moved a directory from C:\Users\Steve\Documents\Probate to \\PROLIANT\Probate (a share on my WHS2011 server).

I created a Symbolic Directory link from \\PROLIANT\Probate in C:\Users\Steve\Documents, but when I view the "Documents" folder, the symbolic link sorts amongst the files rather than the directories.

Is there any way that I can get the C:\Users\Steve\Documents\Proliant link to appear amongst the directories?

A:Sort order of Directory Symbolic Link

How did you create the symlink?
By default, Links are created as file links. Make sure you use the /d parameter.

mklink /d <linkname> <source>

eg. mklink /d 3D \\Server\movies2\3D
(Make sure you are at the location you want the symlink created before typing the above, or provide a fully qualified path if not).

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/318352-sort-order-directory-symbolic-link.html
Relevancy 61.92%

There should be a simple answer to this - but can't seem to find it anywhere.

When I go to open an Excel file (File>Open>My Documents) the order of the directories (and then the files within a selected directory) is in the order they were last opened (I view them as a list). How can I get the directories and files to display in alphabetical order?

A:Excel - sort order of viewing files

There should be a simple answer to this - but can't seem to find it anywhere.There is. First select details, not icons. Now click on any column you want to sort by - filenames, or dates or type. Same as in standard Windows explorer.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/32380/excel-sort-order-of-viewing-files/
Relevancy 61.49%

Hey Folks,

Client opens Word 2003 and it is in Print View, but when he opens a Word 2003 attachment in Outlook 2003 it will always default to the reading pane view. How do I change the default view for the Word 2003 document when opening from Outlook.

Thanks everyone!

Peace

A:Solved: Change Default View (Word 2003) when opening as attachment from Outlook

Open Word and click the "Tools" menu and choose "Options"
When the "Options" tabbed dialog box appears click "General"
Uncheck "Allow starting in Reading Layout".
Click OK and then have a cocktail

Regards,
Rollin

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-change-default-view-word-2003-when-opening-as-attachment-from-outlook.730998/
Relevancy 61.06%

I have a table which has got 2 keys. I want to list the table with the 1st key being DESC and the 2nd key Ascending. If I set the table properties with the "ORDERBY Key1 DESC,Key2" when I open the table with a double click it opens correctly sorted. HOWEVER if I create a Combobox on my main form with the data source being that table, the corresponding drop down table is NOT in the correct order. How can I cause it to be in the same order as the properties of the table specify?

A:Solved: ComboBox List Table sort order

You should not really bother sorting Tables as data should not be viewed in it. Data from the table does not obey the table's sort order, so to overcome this use a query to get the data sorted the way that you want. Access sorts from the left first.
You can sort your combo's data by opening the Row Source SQL and adding the sort to that, do not "save it" close it and when Access asks if you want to save the SQL say yes.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-combobox-list-table-sort-order.1040426/
Relevancy 61.06%

3 fields= Order #, Date Required, Part #

I'm looking to create a value based on the location of a record within in a list.

For example, if I sort by part then by date I want to return the value of where that record falls in the sort order. Basically show where it falls in terms of priority.

To say it a different way...if an order is required by x date and there are 3 orders for the same part required at an earlier date I want to return the value "4".

I'm very familiar with Access, but this scenario is new to me. Any ideas appreciated...thanks in advance.

Relevancy 61.06%

When I Add a New Contact to a Contact Group in Windows Mail, a list of all contacts is displayed in Name order, i.e., in first name order. This is very difficult to use. How can convert the list to Last Name order? I have done this with the main Contact list displayed by Windows Contact by adjusting the items and their order in the Details list. But this does seem possible with the Add New Contact list.

http://www.vistax64.com/browsers-mail/243045-sort-order-windows-mail-contact-group.html
Relevancy 60.2%

how do i sort the playlists that I had created in WMP by alphabetical order and not by the order that it was created?

also, though shuffle is enabled, how do I make WMP 11 start with a random music in the playlist whenever I play a certain playlist? right now it will always start with the first track in the playlist.

thanks for the help

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sort-playlists-in-wmp-11-by-alphabetical-order-random-first-music-of-playlist.707714/
Relevancy 60.2%

Why on earth I stick in a blank CD and am prompted to pick a Win app I select Windows Media Player and am thankful Windows includes something so basic native vs having to ? Media miffed random a order w/ Player CD by Burning sort go find some unknown app somewhere Per the Burning a CD w/ Media Player ? miffed by random sort order prompt I drag and drop files from Explorer to the box on the right of Media Player Burning a CD w/ Media Player ? miffed by random sort order creating a Burn list Happy days All is good But WHY does it not sort by file name I have no idea what the sort is based on I have to reorder them every time I have my files named in the correct order thus Favorite song this week the next song some song I liked on the last mix burn still stuck on the CD-medium blues in my truck by Wes Montgomery Jr the shred of etc To be fair I think Nero on my XP machine was the same way Any insight as to why the random sort NOT in the order above after you drag and drop the group Any tricks to alleviate this silly little conundrum Appreciated

A:Burning a CD w/ Media Player Ė miffed by random sort order

I have a recording studio and use Nero, which will set the songs in the sequence that you drag (add) them to the burn window or after dragging them to the burn window you can rearrange them as desired If you just drag all the songs from a folder to Nero they will be in alphabetical order (as set by Windows).

I've never liked the WMP for burning. ImgBurn is a very popular (free), burning program that is used by many. The Official ImgBurn Website

CDBurnerXP is another freebie that I like better than ImgBurn for audio CD's. It sort of has an old Roxio feel to it. https://cdburnerxp.se/en/home

http://www.eightforums.com/sound-audio/35836-burning-cd-w-media-player-miffed-random-sort-order.html
Relevancy 57.19%

Our office uses an exchange server that has no configured organizational forms library configured. Whenever any of our client machines selects "choose form", outlook will automatically try to open the Organizational Forms Library and repond with the error: "Form load failed. You don't have apporpriate permission to perform this operation", after which a drop down box will allow the user to switch to a different folder and find the forms to choose, relegating this to a nuisance. In any case, I'm looking for a way to change the default locatoin to look for "choose form" so this error message won't appear every time. Perhaps it's something blatantly obvious, but I haven't found it yet.

Thanks in advance.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/outlook-2003-changing-default-choose-form-folder.285015/
Relevancy 56.33%

Hi My name is Fran I ve had something strange going on for a while a month and I thought I d give this a shot to figure out what the problem is As I said in the Topic title I have blank Outlook emails that keep showing up in my Inbox Sent Mail Deleted Mail Folders for my hotmail account in Outlook They all are the same size but have various times I contacted Microsoft and they suggested that I reset my passwordsand security questions for all of my email accounts I did this but the problem has continued in my Hotmail account in Outlook This has made me suspect that I have something on my computer that picked up the new password I fear that someone or something is hijacking my computer and want Folders emails keep showing in my Mail/Deleted Blank Inbox/Sent 2003 Outlook up Mail to put a stop to it I read something today about HijackThis and decided to Blank Outlook 2003 emails keep showing up in my Inbox/Sent Mail/Deleted Mail Folders give it a try I installed the software and ran a scan generating a log file It then instructed me to use one of the forums for assistance in a list on their website in which you were at the top--so here I am I attached the log for the scan from Hijackthis I HAD TWO FILES AND WAS UNSURE WHICH YOU SHOULD GET SO I UPLOADED BOTH--I RAN TWO SCANS WITHIN MINUTES OF EACH OTHER BUT AM UNSURE IF THESE LOGS ARE FOR EACH OR JUST ONE SCAN And when I looked at the scans logs it was all Greek to me Of course if there is any other info you need please just let me know Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated I look forward to hearing from you Best regards Fran

A:Blank Outlook 2003 emails keep showing up in my Inbox/Sent Mail/Deleted Mail Folders

Hello and welcome to Bleeping ComputerWe apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If not please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine. If you have not done so, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.Upon completing the steps below another staff member will review and take the steps necessary with you to get your machine back in working order clean and free of malware.If you have already posted a DDS log, please do so again, as your situation may have changed.Use the 'Add Reply' and add the new log to this thread.Thanks and again sorry for the delay.We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan:Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links. Save it to your desktop.DDS.scrDDS.pifDouble click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.A small box will open, with an explaination about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.Notepad will open with the results.Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet. Information on A/V control HEREPlease download GMER from one of the following locations and save it to your desktop:Main MirrorThis version will download a randomly named file (Recommended)Zipped MirrorThis version will download a zip file you will need to extract first. If you use this mirror, please extract the zip file to your desktop.Disconnect from the Internet and close all running programs.Temporarily disable any real-time active protection so your security programs will not conflict with gmer's driver.Double-click on the randomly named GMER file (i.e. n7gmo46c.exe) and allow the gmer.sys driver to load if asked.Note: If you downloaded the zipped version, extract the file to its own folder such as C:\gmer and then double-click on gmer.exe.GMER will open to the Rootkit/Malware tab and perform an automatic quick scan when first run. (do not use the computer while the scan is in progress)If you receive a WARNING!!! about rootkit activity and are asked to fully scan your system...click NO.Now click the Scan button. If you see a rootkit warning window, click OK.When the scan is finished, click the Save... button to save the scan results to your Desktop. Save the file as gmer.log.Click the Copy button and paste the results into your next reply.Exit GMER and re-enable all active protection when done.-- If you encounter any problems, try running GMER in Safe Mode.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/305773/blank-outlook-2003-emails-keep-showing-up-in-my-inboxsent-maildeleted-mail-folders/
Relevancy 56.33%

Hey TSG,

STATISTICS:

Windows XP SP2 with all updates
MS Office 2003 with all updates
Windows is set up with 3 user profiles - error only occurs on "administrator"

PC appears to be clean: I run SPYBOT and AdAware regularly, and CCleaner and Registry Mechanic occasionally. I use fully updated Trend Micro PC-cillin Virus Protection and firewall.

PROBLEM:

For no apparent reason, when I open Outlook I get the message "Data file 'Personal Folders' was not closed properly. The file is being checked for problems" .....pause

...and then Outlook closes. (NOTE: any recommended solution that requires Outlook to be open cannot be applied). I have researched the Web forums and one suggestion was that the .pst file is too large. I back up the .pst file every night and last night's file was 352 meg which does not seem to be too big.

HELP!

Thanks,

kurley

PS: I can get e-mail on-line

A:Outlook 2003 - Error "Data File 'Personal Folders' was not closed properly"

Well the good news is that your .pst file is not too large... the maximum limit for previous versions of office .pst files was 2 GB... usually corruption occurs before this point though (post 1.5 GB is about the point where it becomes prominent), and with the new office 2003 4TB is the theoretical limit of your PST files.

One thing to try... move the location (into another folder) of your .pst file, so that the association of the outlook and the pst file is broken... see if this allows you to open outlook... if so try to remap to the .pst file in its new location, close outlook and see if the issue has been resolved or if it fails to open again.

If you are able to open outlook (with the pst disconnected) and the previous step has failed try using the import/export function and see if you can import your .pst file from the old (corrupted one) to a new one...

There are utilities out there that are able to check the integrity of .pst files, but right at the moment... it escapes me as to which are the recommended scanners.

Other suggestions are welcome...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/outlook-2003-error-data-file-personal-folders-was-not-closed-properly.400871/
Relevancy 56.33%

When I open up my Recycle Bin 99% of the time I want to see my most recently deleted files at the top. On my work computer, the sort defaults to "Date Deleted", but no matter how many times I sort by that column on my home computer, the next time I go into the Recycle Bin, it sorts by "Name."

Is there a Registry setting to force my home computer to default sort the Recycle Bin by "Date Deleted"?

A:default sort in Recycle Bin

You might try this. http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/default-sort-in-recycle-bin.332072/
Relevancy 56.33%

Hi there

currently my window folders sort by filename as the factory default. I know I can change this by right clicking on the white space and then choosing how I want my files to be displayed.

however I have huge folders and then have to wait for explorer to reindex the files every time I close or open a folder.

How do I change the default file sort from name to date? so that I don't have to do this every time.

I have looked that this link

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...l-folders.html

and others connected to it but they dont' seem to address my specific problem. I don't want to change icons or layout, simply the way files are organized when they are compiled.
can anyone help me out with this? Im not a noob to windows by any means, but a step by step explanation would be much appreciated.

A:How do I change the default sort in win 7?

Are the files located on a separate drive?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/149190-how-do-i-change-default-sort-win-7-a.html