Windows Support Forum

CD & DVD drives lost 'Properties' tabs in XP, can't burn CD's anymore!

Q: CD & DVD drives lost 'Properties' tabs in XP, can't burn CD's anymore!

CD amp DVD drives don t have recording tabs Help OK here s what is going XP, CD's drives tabs can't 'Properties' lost anymore! DVD & burn in CD on Several weeks ago don t remember exactly when mid or late January I was fooling around amp installed some programs so I could convert songs from my phone to a format my computer could read Didn t work I uninstalled it Then a bit later I downloaded a program to ID music by playing it over speaker into the microphone to id a song Uninstalled it too I know one of these programs again don t remember told me to change my default record media from the drive to I think a virtual CD & DVD drives lost 'Properties' tabs in XP, can't burn CD's anymore! drive Anyway I think this is what has caused my problem which is I can no longer get CD-R s to burn I have a Dell DImension with Windows XP and when I try to use Media Player to burn songs CD & DVD drives lost 'Properties' tabs in XP, can't burn CD's anymore! to a CD it looks as if it is going thru the process but doesn t do it XP and media player recognize the drives and I can play CD s or DVD s just can t get the computer to remember that yes these drives are capable of recording Also when I put a blank CD-R into either drive they show under properties to be full and have CD & DVD drives lost 'Properties' tabs in XP, can't burn CD's anymore! no space left on them even though they are new When I go to properties on both drives there is no recording tab so I cannot enable recording I have Googled around and here is what I have tried to do to fix it I used the Microsoft site s suggestion to edit the registry and change the drive values from to or No help I made sure the IMAPI value in Admin Services was on automatic and I force started it No help I went back to the registry and deleted the high filters and low filters in the registry file related to the drives No help I uninstalled the drives in device manager logged off and logged on to reinstall but they already had No help I uninstalled the drives and immediately went to new hardware wizard It found them and installed them No help I reinstalled Nero my burning software No help I went back to Microsoft s site and used the automatic Fix It wizard but it said both drives were not capable of recording bogus since I ve burned I don t know how many CD s since I got this computer in mid I probably forgot some stuff since I have been at this all afternoon and evening but I m really frustrated Both drives were working great forever so I guess when I installed those programs I mentioned earlier it jacked up something I don t think I ve tried to burn any CD s since I got rid of both of those programs up until today when I discovered the problem Thing is I CAN T remember which program had me change the record or burn to feature I think it changed it from the E and D drive to something else but don t remember where or how Yeah I know it was stupid to not write it down and yeah I regret screwing with either program But I d really like some help here if anyone can I appreciate it nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cd-dvd-drives-lost-properties-tabs-in-xp-cant-burn-cds-anymore.144176/
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: CD & DVD drives lost 'Properties' tabs in XP, can't burn CD's anymore!

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 21.93%

Power outage due to storm. Came back on without pictures and documents. It's an HP desktop. Would a file recovery program work? I've tried some of the instructions online, but they don't work.

A:Lost pictures on Windows 7 from power outage

Oh mary; I feel your pain. Were the pics within one folder and now they're ALL missing?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lost-pictures-on-windows-7-from-power-outage.217351/
Relevancy 22.36%

I've said time and time again that solid state drives are the future but the truth of the matter is, traditional spinning disks still have a place inside a modern PC as a storage / backup drive. The question then becomes,...

Read more

A:Latest hard drive reliability data reveals it may be best to avoid 3TB drives

Well I'm glad I have never bought a Seagate HD. I usually buy Western Digital, except my SSD is Samsung.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/latest-hard-drive-reliability-data-reveals-it-may-be-best-to-avoid-3tb-drives.208285/
Relevancy 23.22%

I recently bought a Windows DVD to put it on the new PC I'm building for my mom. That PC has troubles with the DVD drive itself (stupid motherboard doesn't have IDE..), so I figured I'd set up a bootable USB to install Windows before the adapter arrives. Problem is, the installation DVD isn't playing on my drive (I tried another DVD with a movie on it before, so I don't think its my drive). I brought it to a PC shop and for them it worked fine, even though its quite scratched on the back (I guess the person selling those DVDs doesn't know how to ship them properly) I didn't wanna pay 20 bucks for them copying the DVD, even though I'll probably end up having to do that.

Any ideas what the problem is, or what I can do? I'm not sure if the DVD will work in my moms drive either..

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dvd-works-with-other-drives-but-not-mine-while-other-dvds-work.216661/
Relevancy 29.24%

My Asus Q550LF crapped out on me. I was browsing when a whole bunch of black rectangles appeared on my screen, about an inch long. I restarted my computer thinking it just froze or something. I could occasionally get to the desktop page if I unplugged the charger but now it doesn't even turn on. It'll make one beep when I push the power button but that's it. What might the issue be and is it gonna be expensive? Because this computer has been one of the worst I have ever owned and I would just scrap it or something if it might end up being costly.

A:Laptop wont turn on anymore

How old is it? It sounds like it could be a multiple of hardware failures including the motherboard. The black rectangles sounds like what we call video card artifacting which means the video card is dying. But the fact that it is not even booting up could point to a failed hard drive. Again, it could be anything.

Asus is known for poor customer service but you could try giving them a call.

Do you know anyone who can do some diagnostics on it? I certainly would be checking out the hard drive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-wont-turn-on-anymore.214221/
Relevancy 22.36%

I recently cloned my old 160gb hdd on to a new 1tb hdd, then proceeded to format my old hdd. After formating it had lost 128gb only showing 32gb. I have checked for partitions (unallocated) but none can be found. Even tried remapping mbr, with no result. Any help to recover my lost storage space would be great.

A:Lost hdd space post format

I'm running Windows 7 home premium BTW don't no if that info will help with a solution or not.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lost-hdd-space-post-format.213789/
Relevancy 22.36%

I have a three month old Dell Dimension GHZ P Gig Ram and a gig SATA Hard Drive When I got the computer I used the files and transfer PC Relocator utility And had in Error system drives did hard Message: disk find Setup not your installed any a bunch of unwanted extras that came with it I m having a Satellite Internet system installed and they wanted a clean install of windows XP So I opened the owner s manual and got out the reinstallation disk and the problems began By the way Dell tech support s only response has been to say gee that s not right and would send a tech sometime after Christmas Anyway heres step by step what I did I boot to the Dell reinstallation disk Error Message: Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your system The windows setup screen appears and loads files The next screen says welcome to setup and offers three options -to setup XP press enters To repair XP press R to exit without installing XP press F I press enter and the following message comes up Setup did not find any hard disk installed in your computer Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected And any disk related configuration is correct ect Press F to quit It dose this if I try repair also Dell had me check the connections to the HD and Motherboard They re good And debug the hard drive No luck Everything worked fine until I put in the reinstallation disk Any help would be welcome nbsp

A:Error Message: Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your system

During Setup, it will ask you if you need any extra drivers such as SCSI (or SATA in your case). If so, press F6. Now you are in trouble, because SATA drivers come on a floppy and new(er) Dells don't have a floppy anymore. Borrow a floppy-drive from another PC and install that in your Dell.
Setting up with the Dell disks, I'm not sure if they are RESTORE-disks or full XP-disks.
That may cause another problem.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/error-message-setup-did-not-find-any-hard-disk-drives-installed-in-your-system.18329/
Relevancy 28.81%

I have a HP Pavilion Elite m9600t CTO Desktop PC that has 2 drives. One which clearly says it can do lightscribe and burning, however, everytime I try to burn a disk using any software(I've tried a couple) it says no drive that can burn was found....

Config Flags 0x00000000
It's kinda driving me crazy to the point where I'm not sure if I'm wrong or its wrong. Here are the drives I have:

Drive 1

Spoiler
ATAPI DVD D DH16D3S
Device ID IDE\CDROMATAPI_DVD_D__DH16D3S____________________SH12____\4&A9C04EF&0&0.1.0
Status 0x0180200a Started
Problem 0x00000000 (0)
Service wd
Capabilities 0x00000000
Class CDROM
Manufacturer (Standard CD-ROM drives)
Drive 2

Spoiler
WJWDG UBKDE3C5U3 SCSI CdRom Device
Device ID SCSI\CDROM&VEN_WJWDG&PROD_UBKDE3C5U3&REV_1.03\5&36E5972&0&000000
Status 0x0180200a Started
Problem 0x00000000 (0)
Service cdrom
Capabilities 0x00000060
Config Flags 0x00000000
Class CDROM
Manufacturer (Standard CD-ROM drives)

A:My computer can't burn disks?

They both appear to be ROM drives when reading the spoiler info.

The best I can tell, here is the "ATAPI DVD D DH16D3S" which is a ROM drive.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106262
I can not find the second listing with the details provided. I'm assuming that is the drive pictured in the screenshot.

HP Pavilion Elite m9600t Desktop PC Product Specifications

Primary Optical Drive

Must select one of the following options:

16X DVD(+/-)R/RW 12X RAM (+/-)R DL LightScribe SATA
Blu-ray player & SuperMulti DVD burner with LightScribe Technology
SuperMulti Blu-ray Disc burner with LightScribe Technology
​Click to expand...

There is lack of detail on HP's site as to which specific drives were used. The drive you pictured is not Blu-ray, so I'll assume the first listed drive is the one you have. The drive may need to pulled out of the case, to find out for sure which unit was used.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-computer-cant-burn-disks.212153/
Relevancy 32.68%

Hello I have a PC with HDD - GB not IDE - GB IDE I could boot normally with both connected Everything worked even tho in the Jmicron thing before booting I see only any no found drives Detect Drives:done, the gb drive So I bought a new PC and decided to sell this old one but only with the GB HDD So I removed the GB IDE hard disc and now the computer can t Detect Drives:done, no any drives found boot Jmicron thing Detect Drives:done, no any drives found says this error quot Detect Drives done no any drives done quot and after a second I get a black screen with message that says I need to select a proper boot device I ve selected this GB HDD on which the Windows is installed in BIOS it is set as primary boot device Things what I ve done -Changed SATA to IDE RAID AHCI - when RAID the HDD can t be found -Reset BIOS to Defaults - no result -Removed the battery - no result -Added back the IDE drive - no result -Changed the cables in the motherboard there are x sata cables red black the red ones I guess are for Jmicron so I connected the hdd on all of them and no result -Disabled Jmicron thing in BIOS and the message where it says that no drives were found is now skipped and I get to the black screen with message about Selecting proper boot device -Connected this GB HDD to the new PC - booted without problems So I guess this is something in the BIOS that IDE drive I removed changed and I dont know how to fix it The BIOS detects the HDD it s set on first position in the boot device priority I even disabled the others - still nothing but I get the error that there is no boot media Please help Thanks nbsp

A:Detect Drives:done, no any drives found

Ok I fixed it . What I did:
-used windows 7 disc and ran a repair ( note I have a windows 10 installed xD) so the first repair couldnt find the drives so it did something.
-after this repair it restarted I opened the repair again and now I saw my C:\ drive with windows 10 enterprise installed. I clicked and I pressed repair and now it said I need windows 10 repair disc.
-I changed SATA type to RAID and booted successfully.
-at the boot it asked me whether I want to start windows or repair. I clicked on repair.
-after the repair it restarted. Message apeared "Getting Devices Ready" - took about 5-10 mins
-PC booted successfully with no Data loss

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/detect-drives-done-no-any-drives-found.210292/
Relevancy 22.79%

Look no further than a solid state drive for breakneck speed. If a large-capacity drive for storage is what you're after, however, traditional spinning hard drives are still the best bet in terms of price per GB. And if you...

Read more

A:Western Digital 'Green' hard drives now available in capacities up to 6TB

On a more interesting note, Seagate is already shipping 8TB HDD-s to its select customers, with 10TB ones to follow.

Besides, nothing beats the current 6TB Enterprise offer from Seagate anyway, in terms of price+performance+capacity. Let Western Digital lag behind as it does

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/western-digital-green-hard-drives-now-available-in-capacities-up-to-6tb.204017/
Relevancy 22.79%

Hey guys weird problem here The TB internal drive in my PC started slowly dying in December and my brother got me an SSD additional and connecting when laggy hard drives PC sluggish for Christmas I installed it and it works amazing flawlessly and I love it When I attempted to make my old dying drive a secondary hard drive Windows PC laggy and sluggish when connecting additional hard drives recognized it fine despite the SATA connection broken off and I was able to salvage what I wanted from it The speed of the transfer was blazing and I was pretty happy but I noticed Windows getting insanely laggy and sluggish The mouse would stop moving every few inches and the keyboard would stop responding Instead of normal lag such as me typing this sentence nothing happening and then it appearing in full a few seconds later when the lag would catch up it would be a jumble of letters For example if I typed quot wow my computer is going slow right now quot it would come out quot wom mpui gin sright n quot That s a new type of lag for me as my PC has never had issues I assumed this was due to the death of the drive and Windows having problems recognizing it or reading it Sure enough when I disconnected it everything ran smoothly I have an iOmega TB external drive LDHD-UP - don t judge it was on sale that I m not too fond of but I use regularly for storage and backup I usually have it plugged into the back of my PC and this presents a whole other issue which I need another thread for but I ve dealt with it fine and it normally works all right However I found out it s USB compatible and my PC has outlets on the top so I wanted to keep it plugged into there But when I do that I experience that exact same type of lag as before when the internal hard drive was plugged in It s persistent and near-constant but it stops the second I turn off the hard drive I ve disabled antivirus I ve ran disckchecks I ve formatted none of it makes a difference Does anyone know what would be causing this with separate hard drives connected in completely different ways Any help would be greatly appreciated nbsp

A:PC laggy and sluggish when connecting additional hard drives

I don't know the answer but will comment about the issue of lag in typing. I have a wireless keyboard and mouse and I know when the batteries need replacing because the keyboard behaves exactly like yours and the mouse stops moving the cursor properly. Maybe your issue's connected with the power being drawn when you have the two drives connected. Don't rush out and upgrade your psu though. I only switch on my usb external hard drive for the occasions I need it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-laggy-and-sluggish-when-connecting-additional-hard-drives.207975/
Relevancy 20.64%

Hello It may seem like a simple problem but I know nothing of the subject and I ve had the problem for ages Whenever I copy large files Movie size think MB the copy progresses very remaining" drives "5 sec Copying to/from stuck before for flash on 30 finishing seconds fast MB s until it reaches about where it gets stuck for about seconds to a minute and it says quot Time remaining seconds quot during all that time I have this problem with any flash drive in any USB port amp It also happens when copying to network drives and external harddrives which leads me to think it s a software windows issue Some vital information Copying to/from flash drives stuck on "5 seconds remaining" for 30 sec before finishing The flash drive I mainly use is USB quite new and easily capable of MB s writing speeds It reaches about - MB s during the copy until the final point where it still says MB s but does nothing for seconds USB port is also and I ve also tried every single other port in my computer None are broken and none ever show any signs of being slow The flash drive is NTFS formatted but it used to be FAT I ran checkdisk to see if there was anything wrong but there wasn t It s NTFS since I occasionally need files gt GB I tried using TeraCopy to bypass the issue but this way doesn t reach speeds of over MB s which takes even longer in the end It does fix the hanging at issue I tried converting the drive back to FAT which removes the issue of it hanging at but again the speed doesn t go above MB s which means it takes longer in the end making it not worth it What bothers me is that the files transfer at the maximum speed right until the very end where it just magically gets stuck for seconds or more before finishing like nothing happened Please advise P S I shamefully have to admit I never safely remove my hardware nbsp

A:Copying to/from flash drives stuck on "5 seconds remaining" for 30 sec before finishing

Marty9231 said:

Hello!

It may seem like a simple problem, but I know nothing of the subject and I've had the problem for ages.

Whenever I copy large files (Movie size, think 700MB+), the copy progresses very fast (~100MB/s) until it reaches about 99% where it gets stuck for about 30 seconds to a minute, and it says "Time remaining: 5 seconds" during all that time.

I have this problem with any flash drive, in any USB port (2 & 3). It also happens when copying to network drives and external harddrives, which leads me to think it's a software/windows issue.

Some vital information:

The flash drive I mainly use is USB 3.0, quite new and easily capable of ~150MB/s writing speeds. It reaches about 120-130 MB/s during the copy until the final point where it still says 130 MB/s but does nothing for 30 seconds.

USB port is also 3.0, and I've also tried every single other port in my computer. None are broken, and none ever show any signs of being slow.

The flash drive is NTFS formatted, but it used to be FAT32. I ran checkdisk to see if there was anything wrong, but there wasn't. It's NTFS since I occasionally need files >4GB.

I tried using TeraCopy to bypass the issue, but this way doesn't reach speeds of over 20MB/s which takes even longer in the end. It does fix the 'hanging at 99% issue'.

I tried converting the drive back to FAT32, which removes the issue of it hanging at 99%, but again the speed doesn't go above 20MB/s which means it takes longer in the end, making it not worth it.

What bothers me is that the files transfer at the maximum speed right until the very end, where it just magically gets stuck for 30 seconds or more, before finishing like nothing happened.

Please advise!!

P.S.: I shamefully have to admit I never safely remove my hardware. Click to expand...

Although I've had the same happen on my downloads, this "P.S.: I shamefully have to admit I never safely remove my hardware." could be part of the problem, good luck.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/copying-to-from-flash-drives-stuck-on-5-seconds-remaining-for-30-sec-before-finishing.207001/
Relevancy 23.65%

I have 2 new external hard discs do show on my computer .They are running but not showing in PC.What to do ? Thank you

A:External hard drives not showing up

Hello,

I'm not completely certain that I understood your situation. I wonder if it's possible to clarify the question? Otherwise Disk Management is a good place to start looking for a missing HDD.
If the HDD is brand new you might need to initialize it. This is needed if below the disk it says ?Not Initialized?. Right-click on the Disk that says ?Not Initialized? and click ?Initialize Disk?. Then you will have the option to choose between MBR and GPT. If the drive is more than 2 TB you should use GPT, if not you could use MBR as well. Once the Disk is listed as Basic and online right click the unallocated space and click create a ?New Simple Volume?. For the file system choose ?NTFS? if you want to use the HDD on Windows.

Hope that helps.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drives-not-showing-up.205942/
Relevancy 28.38%

Hello,

I just finished assembling my first build. At first it turned on without a hitch, was able to install windows and a few drivers.

I had to restart a few times, which went fine for the first few times, and then it just didn't boot back up. The power button doesn't do anything, the fans don't start, nothing happens.

When I jump the psu, all the fans start, so I'm thinking the issue must be with the mobo..

Here's a list of all the parts I'm using : http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/JFVvD3

Thanks.

A:Mobo issue? Custom build won't start anymore

First, are any wires touching that might be causing a short such as a wire touching the back of the mobo? Second, I had something similar happen to me a few years ago with a new build. There is a tried and true though often tedious way that can help diagnose possible issues.

1. Remove all hardware except for one RAM stick from the motherboard and this includes Sata and fan connections to peripherals such as your SSD, etc,

2. Now see if the system boots with only the one RAM stick. If it boots then shut down add the second stick of RAM and then reboot. If it boots then repeat by adding a piece at a time.

3. If is doesn't boot then it is either your mobo or your power supply. Also, check to see if your heat sink is seated correctly.

BTW, nice little system there.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/mobo-issue-custom-build-wont-start-anymore.205000/
Relevancy 28.81%

Hi,
I am having a problem with my DVD hardware. Every time I put a disc in and open it in Explorer I get I a popup asking me to burn a disc (image file attached). I've tried going through all kinds of settings but nothing works. I am running Windows 8.1. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Verity

A:Burn Disc Error

That's autoplay setting for blank disk media.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/burn-disc-error.205054/
Relevancy 23.65%

Sorry I must not have sent the last post correctly I am new to this site So I will try again I was getting ready to upgrade to bigger hard drive or drives Before doing that I needed to take the old hard drives out to obtain some information off the labels I did so and while they where out I cleaned the Mounting slots a little better than using just No drives to SATA Power hard air Having done that I re-installed them both When I turned on the power button the button lit up and the fans were running But No Power to SATA hard drives it No Power to SATA hard drives does not seem that the hard drives are getting any power as I can t hear or feel any thing Plus the computer is not booting No Power to SATA hard drives I don t recall unplugging anything other than the two hard drives But I also notice that I have a short cable bundle with two white plugs with three pins and one empty pin hole on the other end a black connection with with five connector slots with one middle on blank That makes me think that I unplugged the power to the hard drive someplace along the ling As I have a wire bundle that has two SATA power connectors that are plugged in But their are three white female plugs marked P P and P which are not connected to anything in that wire bundle I don t know at this point if the power comes through that bundle from the power source Of if I do not have the power plugged into the lope I hope that somebody can help me figure this out and let me know if I burnt out the hard drives and have to start over with my recover disk reloading windows and going from there nbsp

A:No Power to SATA hard drives

How would I close this post out. Dumb me had the monitor plugged into an unused VGA port. It only took me two and a half days to figure that out. I wanted to let others know to check and see if they have everything plugged in where it should be. Including the VGA or other monitor cables.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-power-to-sata-hard-drives.204843/
Relevancy 24.08%

Hi I have bought a laptop for my daughter its harddrive is 750gb but when I found it it is two hard drives.one initialled OS and the other data how is this supposed to work.regards Martin

A:Two hard drives

I know some manufactures have different ways they produce their setups, but most of the time its a partition and not another hard drive. What it does is store the System Backup / Restore on one partition so that you can reset the laptop to factory settings and the main "hard drive" (usually C prompt) is the partition you use on a daily basis. Unless you physically looked inside the laptop and saw 2 different hard drives, it should be just one hard drive that is split partitions. What is the make and model of this laptop? We can determine what setup you have with that information.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/two-hard-drives.204210/
Relevancy 23.65%

Asus p8p670-m will see the dvd drives but not the sata or ide I have tried 8 different drives. 3 sata one at a time in different slots and 5 ide drives one at a time.. I have reset cmos then removed the battery and reset cmos again,, what is the fix please

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/asus-p8p670-m-will-see-the-dvd-drives-but-not-the-sata.203645/
Relevancy 23.65%

Hi everyone. I have a SATA drive that has an OS on it (Vista), where I have forgotten the password. I have tried every recommended utility/trick, to no avail. So, I have installed a new SATA drive which has XP on it, and I want to be able to pull the info off of the old drive by connecting it to my cable, but not making it my master. The XP drive, which works perfectly fine, is the primary drive and loads up when the computer is turned on. However, after hooking up the old SATA drive, the OS on the other drive does not detect that it is hooked up (so, I can't pull info off of it and fix it where I can access it). Any recommendations? How can I get it to be detected by my OS as another drive, so that I can use Windows Explorer to access the files on it? I appreciate any help you are able to provide! Thanks in advance!

A:SATA drives ... master and slave?

One of the points in the SATA specification was one drive with one cable. That eliminated the need for master and slave designations. Simple plug and play assuming the port is enabled in the BIOS.

Sounds to me you are confused and actually have IDE drives. Does your data cable have two data connectors?

Anyway when working with two IDE drives on the same cable, the only way to connect a slave is to manually assign them both as the master or slave. That is unless you are using a "Cable Select" cable. Cable select is market on the connectors which one is which. Otherwise it doesn't matter which drive goes where. And jumpers on the drives will need to be set to assign which one is master and which one is slave.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sata-drives-master-and-slave.203475/
Relevancy 23.22%

Hello all,
My friend's Windows 7 x64 ultimate machine recognizes some USB flash drives but not some other ones. The types of all are USB2 and also all drivers are installed (device manager). I don't know what is the problem. Is there any idea please?

A:My machine doesn't recognize some USB flash drives

USB Device Not Recognized? A Quick Fix For Windows XP/7/8

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-machine-doesnt-recognize-some-usb-flash-drives.202702/
Relevancy 23.22%

I recently built this computer see other a thread on building a PC using Windows on a ssd drive and I used my sata drives for storage audio video The other drives folders using Can't 7 storage create Windows on drives are from my old system and they were set up for RAID I re-formatted the drives but now they automatically create a system info folder and a recycle bin folder I don t know why but Can't create folders on storage drives using Windows 7 I can t create a folder on these drives They are patitioned NTFS Does this have something to do with the RAID configuration from my old system I need to create folders to manage my projects but it will not allow it Also I installed Norton on the system I am using the internet for downloading programs I need once everything is going smooth I will no longer access the web with this PC The Norton has an error on it and when I try to fix it it gets stuck on trying to optimize the storage disk E My SSD is drive C with a partition D for B U the next drive is E Does anyone know what I am doing wrong Thanks to anyone who can speak to this problem nbsp

A:Can't create folders on storage drives using Windows 7

Which RAID Configuration are you in? I think you may have have it set up incorrectly. Depending on what RAID you are using will depend on how your drives can be used. Let us know what RAID you are running which you should be able to find this in your RAID control panel when you boot into it. Thanks.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-create-folders-on-storage-drives-using-windows-7.200888/
Relevancy 23.65%

So I installed a second Hard drive this weekend. And I want to create a new partition on the new hard drive, which will hold my boot files. So I want a partition of my second hard drive to be my main boot device. (Like 20gb)

Then I?m going to combine my first hard drive, and the remaining space left into 1 partition.

My Local disk has my Boot, Page file, and Crash dump. I want to move this to my new partition. (Second HD)

I tried moving the entire windows file in my local disk to the second hard drive, half way through it wouldn?t allow me to move all of the files.

How do I do this without re-installing windows?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/changing-boot-drives.200248/
Relevancy 23.65%

I bought an Asus H87M-E. I can't install 3 X 3TB hard drive Raid 5 on this board. It is a new board, I can't find Bois update. I created the Raid5. the O/S displays the drives with different sizes 2048, 745, 1875GB. I have no idea what is happening! Tech support said it is windows problem, But I don't buy that. I broke the raid and try to install the O/S on a single drives, but the O/S recognize it as 745GB.

A:Windows 7 - Installing 3TB Drives

Windows normally accept only 2 terabyte in re installing the windows you should make a partition for your new 3TB hdd.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-7-installing-3tb-drives.198158/
Relevancy 21.93%

I had to format and re-install Windows XP on a Satellite A105-S4201 Laptop. I installed XP, and updated to SP3. The brightness control no longer works using Fn+F6/F7 (or any other way for that matter). It was working before the format.
I tried a couple of different Common Modules installs. This one: tc00324000b (version 6.07.03) won't even install. Gave me error message, "TVALG Driver installation has failed". And this one: SPA210 TCommon Modules-XP (version 1.00.06) installed, and had me restart, but when I tried to install the hotkey utilities afterward, it said "TOSHIBA Common Module not found! This setup will terminate." Also, I have the latest BIOS version installed (v 6.0)
Any ideas?

A:Fn Brightness Control lost, Toshiba Laptop

Are there any yellow (!) in the device manager?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/fn-brightness-control-lost-toshiba-laptop.197580/
Relevancy 23.65%

Hello I have an active post in quot other hardware quot Here is my situation Hello all I am new here and so this is my first thread I have peiced computers together in the past but I am by no means a pro or even a talented enthusiest What I am trying to do now is more of an upgrade I with drives Problem RAID bought a computer from ADK in It is a video audio computer and ADK did a great job I would highly reccommend them If I wasn t trying to save some money I would go back to them but I am trying to do this as inexpensively as possible meaning I would like to keep as much as I can from this computer to Problem with RAID drives use Here is what I currently have Antec Titon case with Thermalake w Intel board DP DP PCIe IDE xSATA Glan xUSB xTI Problem with RAID drives firewire Intel Quad Core Q GHz FSB MB Cache Coolmaster Mars - RR-CCX-W U -GP fan Vantec mm Stealth fans - very quiet SuperTalent DDR PC CL pin RAM GBx HD Seagate GB ATA rpm Raid zero array Seagate x Seagate GB x Video XFX nVidia GeForce GTS MB PCIe MHz DVI HDCP PCIe PIONEER DVR B Dual Layer DVD-RW drive Windows XP Pro bit Monitors I want to replace the MB with a Z MB and the CPU with an i K I will need to upgrade the RAM to DDR Preferably GB I want to change the OS to Windows Pro bit Here are my newb questions Will I need to replace my Video card Can I use the same case and fans Can I use the same HDs and the same RAID Array I know nothing about RAID I was hoping to not have to replace anything more than the MB CPU RAM and OS I do want to replace the DVD for a blu ray burner Can anyone spot something I may be missing Here is my current problem now that I have built the PC s The problem is now the ADK PC doesn t recognize the hard drives It sees the SSD drive I have checked the drives with an external SATA harness BlacX box and the drives are not bad but it tells me I need to format them I have music and video I don t can t loose I am afraid to set the bios to disable RAID for fear of loosing files I don t know which drives are RAID I just loaded the drives into the goof-off PC and moved the data from one drive to the other although some files would not move This probably means it is a raid drive and these files are saved across multiple drives Am I right in assuming that these drives are not recognized because of the RAID setup I am trying to save what I can but does this mean I need to re-format these drives Thanks for all the help What do you guys think I don t really understand RAID Does anyone have experience with undoing a raid configuration Thanks Terry nbsp

A:Problem with RAID drives

This article may help: http://www.pcworld.com/article/258960/how_to_undo_raid_best_practices.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-with-raid-drives.192361/
Relevancy 23.22%

lt lt RESOLVED gt gt For some reason whenever I try to run the file benchmark on my WD Blue TB or WD Black TB on HDTune Pro it always immediately returns a screen saying quot I O Error Test aborted quot Normally I would understand if this was happening if these drives were HDTune on gives drives I/O very test and new aborts Error old or had any indication that they are dying in some way However both drives have been purchased within the last months and the Blue drive was purchased only four HDTune gives I/O Error and aborts test on very new drives months ago They are each filled to approximately - capacity at the moment with this being the highest capacity the Blue has ever reached while the Black drive at one point hit before I reshuffled some files I haven t noticed any other issues with the drives at all except that HDTune s regular benchmark seems to say that the Blue drive is slightly faster than the Black which clearly shouldn t be the case HDTune s own drive status program shows no SMART issues in any of my drives either Does anyone know what could be causing this or how I could fix it Also I m not sure if this is relevant but my motherboard is currently set to run its SATA ports in quot RAID Mode quot instead of AHCI mode I HDTune gives I/O Error and aborts test on very new drives m not sure if that would matter but I don t currently have a RAID array this setting is just from a previous array that I used to have and now I m afraid that if I change the setting my drives might not boot anymore nbsp

A:HDTune gives I/O Error and aborts test on very new drives

Never mind, I figured it out. Problem was being caused by my drives being assigned as the A: drive and B: drive (Windows 8 allows this, and my slight OCD has always tormented me at not being able to use them for hard drives previous to this, so naturally I jumped on the opportunity to assign those letters). Anyway I reassigned to J: and K: drives just for the purpose of testing and all is now well!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hdtune-gives-i-o-error-and-aborts-test-on-very-new-drives.196324/
Relevancy 28.81%

Hello to all guys here,

I have an erasable CD and it's free (image no.1). When I want to burn some files with 681 MB on that CD, I face an error massage (image no.3) while the capacity of CD is more than that (702MB) and is empty.

What's the problem please?

A:Can't burn 681 MB on a CD with 702 MB capacity

Call up image number 2 and look at the "size on disk". That is 732,557,312 folder size vs 736,978,944 capacity on CD. At first glance you would think there is enough space on the CD for the folder. The problem is changing file systems from FAT/NTFS to CDFS, is rarely ever a 1:1 ratio.

This is basically the same issue with changing cluster sizes on HDD. Smaller files than the cluster alloted size will result in lost space, because there can only be one file assigned to any one cluster.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-burn-681-mb-on-a-cd-with-702-mb-capacity.195967/
Relevancy 22.79%

I have an EVGA GTX 560-Ti graphics card connected to two monitors. The primary monitor is a Syncmaster 2433BW and the second monitor is a Syncmaster 204B. Everything was fine until this morning when I booted up and found the second monitors resolution way off. After entering the NVIDIA control panel I found the monitor simply identified as Digital Display with a very limited resolution table available, the monitor was set to 1024x768. On the control panel resolution screen it is identified as "Generic Non-PNP Monitor with only two resolutions neither of which is the recommended 1600x1200. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver with no improvement.

A:Lost monitor ID in setup

Have u tried This option the Resize? I use this due to my Samsung tv doesnt have really good scaling which I was left to using a random resolution but this random resolution still is read from the tv as 1920x1080 maybe it might work for u

if this doesnt work I havent actualy got which driver did u install nvidia driver or the monitor one? if so this is were u should go
<-this image seems to not be working right click open in new tab

Right click my computer Properties Device manager and rightclick on the monitors and update software

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lost-monitor-id-in-setup.195406/
Relevancy 23.22%

Hi,

I have several Dell desktops (745, 755, GX260, T5500, Etc) all Win7 and Server 2008, that have factory hard drives; I want to make them removable drives. In the past

I have special ordered desktops with T-7 units from Dell.

Now, I need to make about 20 desktops removable drive desktops, any ideas, Dell says I can't really add a Dell sponsored caddy / cage.

My other issue is I have to add whole disk encryption to it, TrueCrypt is perfect.

I also have to add USB tape backup unit. Q: does anyone have an USB portable tape backup unit and encrypting the hard drive and tape?

Thanks

Mn19~

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/changing-dell-desktops-to-removable-drives.195340/
Relevancy 23.65%

I have two 1.5TB WD ?My Book Essential? hard drives. My computer seems to think they are the same drive and won?t read them at the same time. I get no errors when they are both plugged in, the second one just won?t read.

They are both present in device manager but not in Disk Management...

I have tried assigning unique (unused) drive letters, but the computer still thinks it is the same drive (I.e. I plug one in, assign it ?X? and then unplug it. I plug the second one in, it shows up as ?X? so I assign it ?Q.? I unplug it, plug the first one in again and it shows up as ?Q?.)

Does any of that make sense? Am I going insane? Am I missing something really simple?

Can anyone help?

Thank you!!!

A:Two dueling hard drives?

Google for
my book essential hard drive not working​others seem to have issues too

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/two-dueling-hard-drives.194708/
Relevancy 29.24%

Corsair c black AMD FX- Sapphire GB Gigabyte GA- FXA-UD motherboard Coolermaster GX series RS w power supplyCorsair vengeance GB DDr blue Note that teh CPU and GPU are sold together and that the PSU and ram are sold together Total price new with shipping USD Future purchases include a XSPC RS kit for a CPU only loop Honestly im I little sad I cant get a modular PSU in a combo like that coolermaster Can anymore cut prices on this I build the ram psu together are if someone can find something better than that id be eternally grateful But yea im basically asking if anyone thinks they can do cheaper than that for the same specs FX and GB ddr IDC about the PSU as long as its at least w and as I said modular is fantastic also as sad as it sounds I want a black mobo-asthetics are fun to me Can I cut prices anymore on this build which is why im bothering with a loop later on Also just generally what do you guys think of that build id get gb but ram shot up in price for a reason unknown to me nbsp

A:Can I cut prices anymore on this build

If you're considering getting a WC loop with that 8350 then you might as well go for the 4670K + cheap air cooler for the same price (or lower).

I guess you could opt for a cheaper case to cut some of the budget.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-i-cut-prices-anymore-on-this-build.194697/
Relevancy 22.79%

I have a wireless ubee modem. I have had it for a will now and it has worked great up until yesterday. I can't find my wireless signal for my internet. I can hook up the usb port and get the internet just fine, but when I turn to wireless I can't even find my wireless signal name to hook up. I know my laptop is still getting signals because my modem is still finding my neighbors signals. Please help!!!

A:Lost My Internet Signal

Are you using someone else internet service via WiFi? If your now they power cycle the internet modem and your wireless laptop. Power cycle means reboot them or power them down then power them up. Internet modem can be reset but you would need to call your ISP and let them send a signal to hit the box (reset it) or walk you through the steps to do it on your end.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lost-my-internet-signal.194378/
Relevancy 23.22%

I have a Dell Dimension 5100 Desktop computer that the power supply recently went on so I replaced it and now the computer is not recognizing the CD/DVD drives?

When I first installed it and powered the computer on it said I had a Floppy Diskette Seek Failure . I don't have any floppy drives installed so I disabled it through the BIOS and now I noticed the drives aren't working . I have two drives installed one to play dvds and burn cds and the other is a dvd burner . Both of the drives power up and you can hear the disk spinning but nothing happens and the computer doest show I have them?

A:Installed New Power Supply / CD Drives not recognized

The old PSU may have taken out the motherboard when it fried - fairly common, especially with the cheap O.E.M. units used by Dell. Also, some Dell boards are proprietary, which means the connectors may not be standard ATX - Check the pinout on the 24 pin ATX connector to make sure it matches on both PSUs.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/installed-new-power-supply-cd-drives-not-recognized.193915/
Relevancy 22.79%

Hi thanks or looking a my post,

As it is I have 1 hard drive backing up all staff file that are located on a share PC, I have now been asked to setup a system where I have two hard drive backing up the same information and that they are switched weekly.

When one hard drive is in the building backing up the other hard drive is off site in a safe place, but I am unsure how to set this up using windows 7 backup.

I do not need to backup the system image as they has all ready been done just the staff files.

Thanks for any help

Sean

A:Backing up files on 2 different hard drives (windows 7 backup)

Good planning for disaster planning reasons (btw: that's called media rotation).

To automate backups alternating between two target drives -- don't think that's possible and you will need a manual procedure to identify the 'other drive'.

Hopefully the "files that are located on a share PC" are limited to a Shared Folder making the source location easy. Using the backup technique of an Incremental Backup will reduce the size and time of the data being copied.

CAUTION: do not encrypt the backup volume(s), nor even compress them.
If you need them after a disaster, they will need to be usable on ANY available PC and encryption/compression can be subject to software incompatibilities - - right when you don't need that kind of help!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/backing-up-files-on-2-different-hard-drives-windows-7-backup.193199/
Relevancy 22.79%

Ok so I m a first time builder here with a budget of I use my computer for web browsing with a million tabs so 1st time build, lost :P open I admit lol music recording editing normally about or so tracks only lite gaming minecraft with heavy skin packs and will be doing small video editing like boxes of video in one frame and watching movies both blue-ray and the occasional live stream I use Windows themes skins on my computer and have more rainmeter gadgets than I probably need I ve come across some good barebones kits for but they lack a few things which I may not even need lol I definitely need a wireless card no cable running to my room and obviously a blue-ray player I don t burn music or movies onto CDs if I need to I already have a burner I m looking for a minimum GB of RAM Do I really need an SSD My mind keeps saying quot YES quot but my wallet says quot nope not in the budget quot I do already have a TB drive for storage I would just like an SSD for the OS and programs But if that s not feasible I have no problem with a small HDD So what am I looking for that will meet the needs of my use and budget Mobo CPU GPU RAM PSU Case SSD-or-HDD Blue-Ray Player Wifi Card and after market cooler heatsink everyone always says stay away from OEM coolers go after market So if I m not all that crazy and this is feasible I appreciate any and all help and hope to learn a good bit in the process please feel free to teach so I actually learn something I m not loyal to any brand so I don t care about any of that at least not yet Thanks nbsp

A:1st time build, so lost :P

matrix86 said:

(everyone always says stay away from OEM coolers...go after market)Click to expand...

I would only make that recommendation based on whether the person will be overclocking. Neither Intel or AMD will package their CPU with a cooler that not sufficiently adequate under non-overclock conditions.

Have you assembled a parts list or are awaiting feedback first?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/1st-time-build-so-lost-p.192750/
Relevancy 28.81%

Its a hp pavilion g7 notebook pc running windows 7
I am trying to help out a friend,he bought this about 8 months ago new.
it plays cds etc,will not burn
when I tryed to burn a disc with deep burner it said ,writing drive not found.
in the device manager it says hp dvd A ds8a8sh sata cd rom device.

is this not a burner?
thanks

Oh I forgot to say that I reinstalled the driver

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-laptop-will-not-burn-cd-dvd.192623/
Relevancy 24.08%

I have a Dell Optiplex in same Two drives location L with XP OS Two drives in same location and a GB PATA hard drive I have purchased a WD TB SATA hard drive and connected it to the SATA port on the motherboard When I look at the BIOS the SATA drive appears and the Primary Master PATA also appears My OS is on the PATA drive and I boot Windows there as the SATA has nothing on it yet I can run Plug Two drives in same location n Play and it will find the SATA drive I look in the Device Manager and it shows the SATA drive however when I look at the properties for each drive it reveals they have the same location and both are working properly When I look at quot My Computer quot only the C is showing and when I click on Properties and then Hardware both HDs appear When I go to Disk Management again only the C drive appears for HDs and it reports quot Healthy quot Again clicking on the Properties shows both drives I have rebooted uninstalled the new HD changed the drive letter for the CD all of these things have yet to resolve the problem I do not see any place to import the drive onto Disk Management nor is there any way to format the disk and put the OS on it since it does not show up anywhere I think I need to be able to change the location of the drive from but cannot find a way to do that nbsp

A:Two drives in same location

The new drive needs to be initialized and formatted. See if you can download a drive install program from the new drives support website

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/two-drives-in-same-location.191117/
Relevancy 23.65%

Can you share how to take care of hard drives? does constant reformatting causes the hard drive to be defective?

A:How to take care of hard drives?

Define what you mean by "constant reformatting"?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-take-care-of-hard-drives.190158/
Relevancy 24.08%

Hey guys thats it It s official as I m building my first gaming computer My build is complete and is as follows Case Azza Solano Mobo Asus Sabertooth Z CPU Intel i K to use What way hard best the is drives? SSD/HDD my CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper EVO RAM G x G Corsair Vengeance DDR Mhz Video Card XFX Raedon HD G Sound Card On board sound atm Will eventually What is the best way to use my hard drives? SSD/HDD upgrade as needed Optical Drive Samsung DVD drive Will eventually upgrade as needed What is the best way to use my hard drives? SSD/HDD cant beat PSU OCZ ModXStream Pro Watt OCZ Hard Drive s Not sure What is the best way to use my hard drives? SSD/HDD which as I need some advice Some of my parts have been shipped some of my parts are shipping and some of my parts still need to be purchased Of the parts that still need to be purchased I have yet to conclude my hard drive setup I d like a bit more information on the best way to use my hard drives Once again main use for computer would be gaming I was thinking about x hard drives and thinking of mixing a SSD and HDD into the equation Of what I read about SSD s they are very fast and boot times are less than sec Dont know too much about them So maybe put my OS on my fairly small and inexpensive lets sayyyy g or g SATA SSD along with any other crucial program such as computer security BitDefender is what I had in mind and dedicate my most likely Seagate TB rpm mb cache HDD to all of my games programs downloads documents etc Does this seem like a viable setup What is the best setup for my hard drives Will my games run flawless on a different hard drive than my OS How should I dedicate my hard drives in terms of files Thank you guys so much in advance I m eager to build my first computer and I HOPE this build will be able to play all the latest games on ultra settings Thanks again nbsp

A:What is the best way to use my hard drives? SSD/HDD

I think you have a good plan. Hopefully someone else with more SSD knowledge will be able to make specific drive recommendations.

I can say that I don't think you'll want to install games to your SSD, sure they'll load faster, but in the actual gaming portion you won't notice much if any difference (depending on the game and its HDD access needs). Having said that, if you don't play games much after completing them, and you have a 128GB or bigger SSD I don't see any harm in installing the game to SSD and uninstalling after you are done to recover space.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-is-the-best-way-to-use-my-hard-drives-ssd-hdd.189356/
Relevancy 23.22%

I've copying files from one external hard drive to another and though both are USB 3 the transfer rate is 4MB/s or less. What is up? Both drives have been much faster by themselves.

A:Transfer speed between two external hard drives is 4MB/s :(

What kinda files? Lots of small files don't do well.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/transfer-speed-between-two-external-hard-drives-is-4mb-s.189385/
Relevancy 21.5%

My computer running Windows Ultimate -bit can no longer access my Western Digital Caviar quot Black quot TB hard drive that s connected but I suspect my data to still be in there so I wonder what data recorvery tools people have used and recommend This is one of the additional drives to my operating system C drive It has been formatted as NTFS and been working fine for several months until with recommendations Data format, from drive please lost recovery software a week ago Now it appears as the E drive on Data recovery from drive with lost format, software recommendations please My Computer as originally configured but the volume label is now blank I used to have that named as quot Media quot When I double-click on it to Data recovery from drive with lost format, software recommendations please enter the drive I get the Data recovery from drive with lost format, software recommendations please error message quot E is not accessible The parameter is incorrect quot In Computer Management -- gt Storage -- gt Disk Management the drive appears but it s File System is now indicated as RAW rather than NTFS I have tried using Active Partition Recovery and that successfully lists my drive with the original label name quot Media quot and as NTFS and also lists the folders located at the root of the drive which is why I suspect my data to still be in there and recoverable However when I use this tool to do a full scan of my disk it freezes after scanning MB There are tools out there with varying reliability so whch ones do people here recommend another tool I trired I forget its name was scanning my disk but prediced days to go over the entire TB so that s out of the question I have been told to use a tool that can recover files onto a separate disk rather then try to repair the original disk and risk losing more of the original data Any advice would be greatly appreciated Thanks nbsp

A:Data recovery from drive with lost format, software recommendations please

Oh crap. Something like this happened recently to me when I had backed up some data to an USB thumb drive. It worked fine for awhile, then some weeks later, my PC just couldn't read it anymore (kept saying "disk in drive needs to be reformatted/etc"...and the properties for the drive also showed it as RAW format instead of FAT32 like it would have been usually).

I think the issue is drive corruption, which seems to be fairly common with external devices like USB drives, but odd in the case of an internal drive. The remedy for me was to try to access it from a different system, which was easy since being a USB stick I could try it elsewhere easily. If you can use another system to access the drive, preferably a Linux/Ubuntu based one; it is likely your best bet to recoup the data before its lost permanently. An external HDD kit would be ideal, and they are quite cheap also.

Hope this helps!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/data-recovery-from-drive-with-lost-format-software-recommendations-please.187901/
Relevancy 22.79%

I seem to have Sata hard drives going on me all the time but not the IDE drives and I was thinking is it all possible that it could be the Sata port causing this? Can an Sata port damage a hard drive?

A:SATA motherboard port killing my hard drives?

It's most likely a power supply issue, not SATA ports...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sata-motherboard-port-killing-my-hard-drives.188064/
Relevancy 22.79%

Hi we are working on a computer for a family member Windows has slowed down incredibly won't Toshiba recognized Satellite CD not different two S7802... boot, put drives... ROM in they had multiple viruses and spyware we tried to clean it off for them but decided it would be easier to just do a reinstall We have been googling going to various tech sites etc and cannot figure this out The CD drive was not recognized in Windows and wouldn t work we thought it was just part of their other computer problems Upon rebooting it won t boot from the CD ROM which is a Toshiba brand factory drive We already checked the boot order CD ROM is set first HDD second No network boot enabled So we thought the drive was bad We bought a new drive put it in same issue I find it hard to believe we got two bad drives one after the other Windows of course doesn t Toshiba Satellite S7802... put in two different CD ROM drives... won't boot, not recognized recognize it either Both of the drives act like they can read they flash you hear them running but it doesn t show up and won t allow us to boot into anything not Windows not Linux nothing from the CD ROM It just will not boot from anything but the hard drive and no option to Toshiba Satellite S7802... put in two different CD ROM drives... won't boot, not recognized boot from USB We are at a loss as to what to try next We tried looking for jumpers cables etc but it doesn t have them Any suggestions nbsp

A:Toshiba Satellite S7802... put in two different CD ROM drives... won't boot, not recognized

Dose this laptop or computer have a recovery partition?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/toshiba-satellite-s7802-put-in-two-different-cd-rom-drives-wont-boot-not-recognized.187772/
Relevancy 23.65%

With the Holidays upon us I found 64 gb jump drives at Best Buy for 27 dollars each.
32 gb jump drives for 12 dollars and 16 gb drives for 6 dollars. I believe my current collection totals about a dozen Jump Drives...how many do you have?

A:Poll: How many USB jump drives ya got?

I have a Verbatim 465 gb flashdrive, 2 Cruzer micro 2gb flashdrives, a memorex 1 gb flashdrive & a couple smaller flashdrives of unknown name I think 640 mb.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/poll-how-many-usb-jump-drives-ya-got.187557/
Relevancy 23.65%

Hello.
I am considering installing 2 new harddrives.
1.Agility 3 OCZ Solid State Drive 120gb
2.Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB 7200 rpm

I am currently on a WDC WD3200JD-22KLB0 320gb

Both the new harddrives are sata3,6gb/sec

Can I use both new drives,with no reduction in performance ?
Mainly for online gaming.

A:Installing new drives in HP Compaq dc7600

In a word... Yes, are you going to set the 2 drives in a RAID array?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/installing-new-drives-in-hp-compaq-dc7600.186404/
Relevancy 29.24%

I have a hp pavillion with both a dvd/rw and a dvd/cdrw and I cannot burn a microsoft word file to either one, the error message says that either the folder is inaccessible or that the flie name contains a / or \. My os is wxp and I am using Microsoft word 2010

A:Can't burn CD-RW

Couple of questions, one being are you sure the disk you are trying to write to is empty? Also, have you checked in Device Manager to make sure the CD drive is not showing any errors?

Ill check back in a bit to see if you replied, but I hope I can help you resolve this problem.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-burn-cd-rw.185146/
Relevancy 23.22%

I've been receiving BSODs and after failing to resolve it, I am going to do a clean install, but I want to transfer all my files to an external which I am going to buy later today.

Regarding 1TB hard drives, are they more sensitive than devices that hold less storage space, more fragile? I have been looking at a toshiba brand and WD. Both are 1TB and have 2.0 and 3.0 capability. Despite my research and due to my indecisiveness it is hard to pick between the two. I just don't want a drive to fail on me.

Thinking more about it, would a smaller hard drive be more reliable? I am open to getting a seagate or WD at 250 or 320 gb.

I don't know too much about portable hard drives besides the obvious, so if you could help clear up my confusion, I will greatly appreciate.

Thanks!

A:Questions on portable hard drives (1TB and various brands)

There really is no difference in hard drive brands so I wouldn't get too hung up on which brand to buy. I don't think there is any benefit to getting a smaller drive now over a 1TB. 1TB drives have been out for a long time now, the only time you want to be a bit cautious on buying a big drive is if its the biggest that company offers at that point in time.

For example, a few years back someone (I forget who right now) made a 1.5TB drive and it released with bad firmware causing very early failures - that got 'fixed' with a firmware update, but drives still had an abnormally high failure rate so I think there was something really wrong with those drives initially. Later releases of the same drive were fine. So, don't buy the biggest you can find and things will be fine.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/questions-on-portable-hard-drives-1tb-and-various-brands.183576/
Relevancy 21.93%

I have Windows XP SP that would not boot to the desktop on a Normal boot The system has SATA HDD amp SATA DVD-RW partition HDD XP -- Windows lost data problem on Red SATA ports on the Motherboard amp Black SATA port on the mother board I apologize but sadly I do NOT remember if the DVD drive or one of the HDD was in the Black SATA port I m not REALLY sure I Windows XP HDD partition problem -- data lost understand the difference but The system would boot up almost to the desktop so I was able to boot up in Safe Mode Once I could get to the desktop I looked at the System log in Event Viewer amp it showed that the controller was reporting drive errors on Hard Drive NOT the boot drive It was happening so much that it was virtually filling the Event Viewer amp making it Windows XP HDD partition problem -- data lost hard to see anything else in there amp kept the system from being able to boot to the desktop It never made it to where it said Windows was loading my personal settings I have never seen a NON-boot drive keep an XP system from being able to boot up Once I made it to where I could see the Event Viewer messages I shut the system down amp disconnected the quot bad quot drive amp restarted the system It then booted up fine but when I looked at the event Viewer is STILL showed Hard Drive errors I thought that it might be a bad cable so I shut the system down again amp connected the SATA cable that was connect to Hard Drive amp moved exchanged it with the one on Hard Drive amp booted the system I looked in the Event Viewer amp it was STILL showing Hard Drive errors so I opened quot Disk Management quot amp it thought the hard drive that I took out was still in the system At this point it was actually in another room Disk Management showed hard drive errors so I right clicked on the drive that wasn t even IN the system amp chose quot Delete Partition quot amp that made the drive errors stop Remember THAT hard drive was NOT in the system at the time I rebooted the system amp looked in Drive Management amp it reported quot Drive Missing quot When I looked in Event Viewer it STILL had Hard Drive errors NOW I suspect that this is REALLY a power issue amp NOT a hard drive or controller problem My power supply has leads Has SATA type amp IDE type type power connector Has SATA type Connectors Has IDE type amp Floppy type power connector I shut the system down again put the quot bad quot drive in the system disconnected all of the SATA cables amp power cables Plugged the HDD in the Red SATA ports left the DVD uplugged moved the power cables Of course I figured that since there where SATA power connectors on one lead it would be OK to plug in hard drives Keep in mind that this system has been running this way for years with showing this problem although now that I think about it the boot drive has failed times BUT they were all Seagate GB drives amp I have had those fail in several other systems FAR more often than the Hitatchi or Samsung However the WD drives have failed just as often as the Seagate Since I now suspected that this was a power problem I decided to plug in only of the HDD in the SATA power lead amp plugged the remaining HDD in the SATA power lead that the DVD was using amp I left the DVD disconnected I booted the system NOW my question Problem The drive that I took out of the system thinking it was bad now has NO partition When I deleted the partition on the HDD even though it was NOT in the system at the time that partitions are gone I have not done anything else to the drive since I found this problem so does ANYONE have ANY idea what I might be able to do to bring the partitions amp my TB of data back In UNIX there are format commands commands that can bring back files because they re not REALLY gone the allocation table is just not looking in the right place or something I realize this was a L-O-N-G amp Boring story but I had to go through the whole thing to explain the problem amp hopefully get a solution Thank you ... Read more

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-xp-hdd-partition-problem-data-lost.183526/
Relevancy 29.24%

Is there any way I can change a setting to burn a dvd+r, My Nero 11 won't burn them at all although it will burn a dvd-r. I am using Nero 11 with windows xp.

A:Can't burn DVD+R

I don't think Nero cares which disk you use. Make sure your DVD burner supports burning that format.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-burn-dvd-r.183035/
Relevancy 28.81%

Hi Been searching forums for an answer to why my LITE-ON DVDRW LH- A S won t write a disc Using Nero platinum Haven t used the burner a lot lately Lite-On won't LH-20A1S DVD-RW burn worked last time I used it a number of months ago The burner says ready in Nero but buffer doesn t start up and it ejects disk I have tried many of the things suggested in most forums with no luck The log is here I m hoping someone can help Thank you in advance - - A -WZEU-LAE - WLW- - Windows Vista AMD Wow Process Nero Version Internal Version Recorder lt LITE-ON DVDRW LH- A S gt Version L - HA TA - Adapter driver lt Serial ATA gt HA Drive buffer kB Bus Type via Inquiry data CD-ROM lt LITE-ON DVDRW LH- A S gt Version L - HA TA - Adapter driver lt Serial ATA gt HA Scsi-Device-Map CDRom-Device-Map LITE-ON DVDRW LH- A S F CdRom AutoRun Excluded drive IDs WriteBufferSize Byte BUFE Physical memory MB kB Free physical memory MB kB Memory in use Uncached PFiles x Global Lite-On DVD-RW LH-20A1S won't burn Bus Type default Check supported media Disabled UDF compilation Text File SCSIPTICommands cpp Line LockMCN - completed sucessfully for IOCTL STORAGE MCN CONTROL Text File Isodoc Lite-On DVD-RW LH-20A1S won't burn cpp Line UDF document burn settings ------------------------------------------ Determine maximum speed TRUE Simulate FALSE Write TRUE Finalize CD FALSE Multisession TRUE Multisession type Start multisession Burning mode DAO Mode UDF Mode pure UDF Options automatic UDF Revision UDF Partition Type physical PHASE File dlgbrnst cpp Line Generation of disc structures started Text File compose cpp Line GenUDF transfer items prepared Text File compose cpp Line GenUDF transfer items prepared PHASE File dlgbrnst cpp Line Generation of disc structures completed Text File Burncd cpp Line Turn on Disc-At-Once using DVD media Text File DlgWaitCD cpp Line F DVDRW LH- A S Last possible write address on media Last address to be written Text File DlgWaitCD cpp Line F DVDRW LH- A S Write in overburning mode NO enabled CD Text File DlgWaitCD cpp Line Recorder LITE-ON DVDRW LH- A S Media type DVD R DL Disc Manufacturer ID lt RITEK gt Media Type ID lt S gt Product revision number Disc Application Code Extended Information Indicators Text File DlgWaitCD cpp Line F DVDRW LH- A S gt gt gt Protocol of DlgWaitCD activities lt lt lt Text File ThreadedTransferInterface cpp Line Setup items after recorder preparation TRM DATA MODE indices index not provided original disc pos relocatable disc pos for caching writing not required required - gt TRM DATA MODE config wanted index blocks length blocks F LITE-ON DVDRW LH- A S -------------------------------------------------------------- Text File ThreadedTransferInterface cpp Line Prepare F LITE-ON DVDRW LH- A S for write in CUE-sheet-DAO DAO infos MCN quot quot TOCType x Session Closed disc not fixated Tracks to Idx Idx Next Trk TRM DATA MODE x FilePos ISRC quot quot DAO layout Start Track Idx CtrlAdr Size NWA RecDep lead-in x x x x x x lead-out x x MediaType DVD R DL Text File SCSIPTICommands cpp Line SPTILockVolume - completed successfully for FSCTL LOCK VOLUME Text File Burncd cpp Line Caching options cache CDRom or Network-Yes small files-No lt KB PHASE File dlgbrnst cpp Line Caching of files started Text File Burncd cpp Line Cache writing successful PHASE File dlgbrnst cpp Line Caching of files completed PHASE File dlgbrnst cpp Line Maximum transfer rate test started Text File ThreadedTransferInterface cpp Line Verifying disc position of item relocatable disc pos no patch infos orig at write at Text File ThreadedTransfer cpp Line Pipe memory size Text File CUDFTransferItem cpp Line GenUDF FS Layout - - - - - - - - - - Sectors to be written Session Start Sector Volume Structure Sector Sectors Meta Data Sector Sectors Data Sector Sectors After Data Sector Sectors Trailer Track Sector Sectors GenUDF Parameters - - - - - - - - - - PrepTime - - UDF Revision UDF Partition Type Physical UDF Special Mode None Bytes per Sector Sessi... Read more

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lite-on-dvd-rw-lh-20a1s-wont-burn.182136/
Relevancy 23.65%

upgraded to an
Gigabyte (GA-EP43-S3L) motherboard & Intel Core Duo 2.8 GHz​
can boot to bios but wont recognise sata drives sata 500gb hitachi or sata cd drive. when removeing battery and useing jumper, then bios recognise both but soon as u save and it reboots the`re missing. be gratefull for any ideas.

A:Unrecognized SATA drives

Hi, pete76. Well, I'm sure you've already done this, but I'll say it anyway, just in case. The first thing I'd do is check the cables and connectors on both ends, the connections to the PSU. I'd double check to make sure that the primary drive -- when detected (before saving, as you described) -- is in IDE mode, as well.

Is your CMOS battery still running OK? Have you observed any other inconsistencies in the BIOS settings -- lost or incorrect time, perhaps? A failing CMOS battery can produce all kinds of symptoms and errors, including the failure to recognize drives.

But if all of that checks out and the problem persists, I'd strip everything out, leaving only the boot HDD just to make sure there isn't some device messing up the BIOS somehow. It appears you've already cleared your CMOS. So maybe some kind of failure in the SATA ports? Have you checked for blown caps?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unrecognized-sata-drives.181937/
Relevancy 23.65%

my flash drive name shows up when I click on My Computer, but when I click the name of the Flash Drive, the files are not listed. How do I correct this?

A:Listing of files on flash drives

The flash drive in question may or may not have files on it that windows can see. It could be in a strange format, or it could just have hidden files on it. open my computer, go to tools/folder options/view and tick "show hidden files and folders" see if that allows you to see the files that are on the flash drive. If not, perhaps the flash drive is bad, or maybe is just needs reformatted. keep in mind reformatting will wipe any data that is on the flash drive. to do so, open my computer, right click on the flash drive, and choose format. Hope this helps, take care!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/listing-of-files-on-flash-drives.179709/
Relevancy 23.65%

Hi all,

I've got a new machine and am wanting to transfer my two HDDs in RAID config from my old machine in the new one.

OLD PC
Gigabyte P55 UD3R
Samsung HD103SJ 1TB x 2 (RAID)

NEW PC
Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H

Is this possible and if so, please can someone advise me on how to swap them.

Thanks,

A:RAID drives into new system?

You can transfer the RAID drives as new ones if you properly configure your BIOS using the motherboard's manual.
But that is not so easy if you have an OS installed on them. But here's an excellent guide.
Good luck

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/raid-drives-into-new-system.181154/
Relevancy 21.93%

Hi all I have been having a problem with my wireless intern network connection I have a sneaky suspicion that my service provider is doing all they can to not have this be there problem Sequence of events -Wireless connection intermittently stops impedance lost, connection Wireless problem...what? working - times a week for the past month -Service provider said it was probably the router -Bought a new router Problem still occurring -Service provider said it Wireless connection lost, impedance problem...what? was my wireless network card Told them that ALL the laptops in the house don t work Okay well then that s not the problem -I go look at the modem Power light-ON Send amp Receive- Blinking Cable Light- OFF -Told me my modem was offline Said it was probably an impedance issue Not sure what that means -Unscrewed the cable Wireless connection lost, impedance problem...what? touched the inside with my finger screwed it back in rebooted computers All computers working -Previous technicians said to unplug the power to both modem and router that works temporarily I m not sure what is going on here and I am no wiz with this stuff but I am now thinking this is either a problem with the cable line OR the cable modem I keep getting different answers from the cable company and they tell me I might have to have someone come out to look into the issue which of course I will be billed for Already paid for a new router How should I deal with this nbsp

A:Wireless connection lost, impedance problem...what?

The company should be able to supply you with a new modem to attempt a fix. This should not be something you are billed for, generally you should be billed if the issue is caused by something other then their product(the Modem) or the telephone line leading to your house+the demarcation point.. These are all things that the ISP should be covering.

Does this issue happen when you are connected by Ethernet cable? Or JUST wireless?

If this is limted to a wireless issue then I would say that it is an issue that is fixable on your part:

Things to look at: Phone lines(Filters on your phones)
Wireless Phones, Microwaves, any new wireless devices in the house.. Wireless devices can cause interferance with eachother. lots of wireless phones work on the 2.4GHz frequency, the same frequency that 802.11 works on (Wireless) If this fixes the issue, try each phone separtly to narrow down the issue.

To eliminate phones as the issue, you could disconnect all your phones in the house, and test your wireless connection and see if it improves. To make sure it is not due to distance/interferance (Physically) Set up the laptop within 3 feet of the router and see if any issues happen connecting to the router.

Microwaves also work on the 2.4GHz frequency at times and can cause interference when running, but this would be a rare disconnect.

Lastly, if this is simply an issue overall (Wireless and hardwired(ethernet)) then I would suggest connecting to their modem directly, ensuing there is nothing between you and their device. IF there is still an issue, replace the cables between the Modem (The phone cable) as well as the ethernet cable to your computer.. If there are still issues then this is left to the ISP to fix and should not be at your cost.

You pay for their services and this should include the service and repair of their device. Modems tend to break down/overheat and have issues over time, they should be able to supply you with a new one.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wireless-connection-lost-impedance-problem-what.180395/
Relevancy 22.79%

Hi I m hoping someone can help as I ve spent many evenings on access cannot allocated Flash not drives being and letter drive this problem and getting nowhere Flash drives not being allocated drive letter and cannot access When attaching a flash drive The autoplay pop up doesn t appear The device does light up initially The device doesn t show up in quot Computer quot The device doesn t show up in Disk Management - just Disk system reserved C and I and CD ROM The device appears in Device Manager under USB controllers as a storage device but I can t access it This happens with all memory sticks and occasionally with ipod etc but sometimes for no apparent reason they work All devices works ok with other computers times out of plugging in a device or turning on the USB attached printer will cause the computer to BSOD usually with IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL X A Devices are never allocated a drive letter The only thing I can think of is that I repartitioned the external hard drive which I attach to back up which may have confused the computer with driver numbers Possibly But this problem doesn t seem to have stemmed from then And I did fiddle with the System Reserved drive as I had back up issues and one of the solutions was Flash drives not being allocated drive letter and cannot access to rename it then I renamed it back again I think Sorry if I m vague on this but I m not at all computer savvy and the kids are Flash drives not being allocated drive letter and cannot access trying to access their homework on the memory sticks I m running Windows Home -bit Avira anti virus and the computer is about months old working ok until a month ago Can t think that we downloaded anything about the same time as the problem started but possible I ve tried to update all drivers that I can think of but the only one that needed doing was the Nvidia GeForce which was outdated All devices etc say they are working properly Anybody got any ideas But keep it simple if poss please Thanks nbsp

A:Flash drives not being allocated drive letter and cannot access

Have you tried Uninstalling the Mass Storage Device that shows up in Device Manager? sometimes reinstalling it can fix issues like this.

Do they work properly after a fresh restart?
Do they stop working after being in standby/sleep?

Other suggestion would be to reinstall Chipset Drivers and USB Drivers if your motherboard has seperate USB Drivers (Generally only for 3.0 boards)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/flash-drives-not-being-allocated-drive-letter-and-cannot-access.179377/
Relevancy 23.65%

I love my thumb-drives I recently added a high-speed GB SanDisk USB Blade to my setup drives to possible plugged flash many it have in? too Is I already have a slow old GB drive that I use just to backup my file archives a GB OCZ Rally that I ve hidden from Windows because I have a full install of Linux on it that I can boot into and another old GB that I ve had for Is it possible to have too many flash drives plugged in? years When I plugged the new Blade into my PC my GB SSD boot drive quot vanished quot from my BIOS When I unplugged the Blade my SSD returned I was sure that meant my new thumb-drive was bad I can plug all drives in AFTER booting and the SSD is detected just fine I just can t have them all plugged in BEFORE booting So I tried an experiment I unplugged ALL of my thumb drives and plugged them back in one at a time starting with the Blade The SSD didn t quot disappear quot until after I plugged in my th thumb-drive Tried different drives in different ports It didn t matter My SSD disappears from my BIOS with all drives plugged in I have two USB expansion ports on the front of my case more USB ports in a hub in a quot bay USB devices plugged into the back of my PC including a -port hub with just one device plugged into it I ve never heard of something like this happening before And USB- is quot technically quot capable of supporting devices So why is my PC barfing on one drive too many Anyone else ever have a problem like this where a USB flash drive quot conflicts quot with a SSD flash drive nbsp

A:Is it possible to have too many flash drives plugged in?

Try changing the drive letter under disk management. 2 drives are probably assigned the same drive letter resulting in neither showing up.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-it-possible-to-have-too-many-flash-drives-plugged-in.179530/
Relevancy 29.24%

Hello all I have anymore External HDD not suddenly recognized a problem with my external HDD When I woke up External HDD suddenly not recognized anymore this morning windows update had installed some updates and automatically my laptop had restarted I tried to log in but it crashed immediately out of the blue I thought ok can happen so when it had restarted and after logging in I wanted to check on some things on my HDD But I got a message saying something like The USB device is not being recognized So I tried again a couple of times but I kept getting that message After trying to switch usb ports and plugging in and out several times I didn t even get that message anymore That was when I started to realise I had a serious problem here The HDD won t show in windows explorer won t show in device management and won t show in the BIOS It is nowhere to be found but the HDD itself is plugged in and working it seems I tried to recover data but all the software I found doesn t find the HDD either which makes sense considering the BIOS isn t even recognising it Is there anything I can do to try and recover my data Can my HDD be saved I don t know if I ve explained my situation clear enough should there be any questions please ask Thanks in advance Lukas nbsp

A:External HDD suddenly not recognized anymore

Tell us about your system and your hardware... brands, ages, connections, etc.

How is the HDD connected, and has it been reliable till now.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hdd-suddenly-not-recognized-anymore.177601/
Relevancy 23.65%

hello!

I was wondering if there is any software tools around that can tell if a hard drive is spinning at 7200rpm? or way to test for performance?

the reason i'm asking, given the price of new hard drives now a days, I am looking to upgrade my gaming system and would like to hold off buying a new hard drive. mine is a SATA Seagate 500gig and is working great but it's about 5 years old.

the age kinda worries me but it still works great, did you think I should delay getting a new one for a while?

A:Couple questions about hard drives

I would hold off for now, if your current hard disk is working fine, and offers enough storage there is no need to upgrade it.

There are many factors that dictate the overall lifespan of a hard disk, but essentially is boils down them either dying quickly or lasting years. Among my many hard disks I do have one Western Digital hard disk that is now older than your current disk. It is perfectly healthy, and I imagine it will last a few more years yet.

Performance might downgrade ever so slightly over time due to general wear and tear, but if its working, I'd just carry on using it until prices come down. I doubt we'll see them back to previous lows until at least the fourth quarter this year, or possibly the first quarter of 2013.

On another note, it is important to keep regular backups of important files and data though, as hard disks have been known to fail giving very little warning, or in some cases no warning at all. The age of your hard disk has nothing to do with keeping backups though, that is something everybody should do to safeguard important data.

So keep regular backups, and continue to use it as you do now, and once prices are back to normal upgrade it for something newer, should you need the extra capacity.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/couple-questions-about-hard-drives.177535/
Relevancy 23.65%

Hey guys first post here anyway i have a laptop with storage spaces in it a C drive which has my OS and drives hard Switch primary core files on it which is Gigs and my E drive music movies Switch primary hard drives etc Gigs so my OS drive is only Gigs and whenever i download a program or anything it automatically wants to go straight to my C drive This is quite annoying because i always have to go into custom install for everything and make it go into my E drive which contains my games music etc and sometimes i cant even choose to install the program to my E drive instead of my C drive it probably doesn t sound like such a problem but i do alot of downloading and installing of many different programs and this whole custom install crap is getting on my nerves because my gigs of storage meant for my OS and core files is getting filled up with Switch primary hard drives the crap i want on my E drive so anyway just wondering if there was a way to switch the save download install whatever priority of the hard drives nbsp

A:Switch primary hard drives

What Internet browser are you using?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/switch-primary-hard-drives.177372/
Relevancy 27.95%

I just built my first PC last week and things have been fine for the most part A few little problems here and there though This might be a little long-winded but I would rather give as ASRock Extreme 3 BIOS can't Computer though. boots fine Gen -- 3 anymore. access many details as possible My problem started ASRock Extreme 3 Gen 3 -- can't access BIOS anymore. Computer boots fine though. with finally organizing my cables and peripherals I plugged in my external hard drives different Seagate drives into rear USB ASRock Extreme 3 Gen 3 -- can't access BIOS anymore. Computer boots fine though. connectors ASRock Extreme 3 Gen 3 -- can't access BIOS anymore. Computer boots fine though. and when I booted up my computer kept going straight to BIOS without me touching any buttons I would try to exit BIOS and start windows but I would keep looping back to BIOS everytime When I unplugged them before I booted up my pc would be fine I could also access the data on the drives when I plugged them in after the boot I posted somewhere else about my issues and someone recommended disabling my usb and usb legacy support They also recommended updating my BIOS if it wasn t up to date Sure enough I went into my BIOS and my version was newest version is While I was in BIOS I disabled my USB and USB legacy support Saved and exited and my computer booted up I downloaded the windows option for BIOS and tried to run it but I kept getting quot Error Firmware does not have flash AFUWINGUI support quot So one question would be is this error a big deal I m not going to try to install it from windows so I feel like it won t matter After doing a little research I now see many people recommending not to do a windows installation of BIOS I should be flashing it with a USB drive I downloaded the flash version and put it on a USB thumb drive in FAT format like ASRock suggested When I turned on my computer I attemped to enter the BIOS by tapping F Windows ended up starting without going to BIOS I tried this several times as well as F F F and DEL but nothing seemed to get me into my BIOS So this is where I stand now I can t access my BIOS and my PC automatically boots to Windows even with my USB stick in I have a feeling it has something to do with the USB Legacy Support I disabled but I also don t know how to enable it without going into my BIOS Core i - ASRock Extreme Gen Corsair Vengeance GB x GB DDR - Corsair Force Series GB quot SSD Sapphire Radeon HD GB Corsair Enthusiast Series TX V W Windows Ultimate SP Microsoft Sidewinder X keyboard Logitech Anywhere Wireless Mouse nbsp

A:ASRock Extreme 3 Gen 3 -- can't access BIOS anymore. Computer boots fine though.

Is your keyboard USB or PS/2? Normally a USB keyboard will not work before booting until you've enabled it in BIOS already. So basically you need to use an older keyboard (or an adapter) the first time, and then enable USB in the BIOS to use your USB keyboard.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/asrock-extreme-3-gen-3-cant-access-bios-anymore-computer-boots-fine-though.176744/
Relevancy 23.65%

What could be causing two dvd drives to not work at the same time? Individually they work, but when plugged in together only one works.

They are SATA DVD writers running on a quad core intel computer on windows 7 64bit. I can't be anymore specific because it's my dad that's having this problem.

Thanks

A:Two DVD drives: won't work at the same time

Are they both showing up as letters d: e: f: ?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/two-dvd-drives-wont-work-at-the-same-time.175857/
Relevancy 21.93%

Last year my Linksys WRT 600 routerkept rebooting itself every 15 minutes or so without any help.
I searched online for replacement router.
Then I found aftermarket non linksys software and loaded it first onto my computer, thn with a direct connection, onto my router.
Here it is a year later and the WRT-600 is still running unhindered.

A:Linksys router lost connection repaired

kdmedic1745 said:

Last year my Linksys WRT 600 routerkept rebooting itself every 15 minutes or so without any help.
I searched online for replacement router.
Then I found aftermarket non linksys software and loaded it first onto my computer, thn with a direct connection, onto my router.
Here it is a year later and the WRT-600 is still running unhindered.Click to expand...

Yess, there are two know firmware replacements - - which one did you chose?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/linksys-router-lost-connection-repaired.175762/
Relevancy 21.5%

hi - i was just playing music on my dell latitude e4300 via bluetooth to a belkin bluetooth receiver connected to stereo.

somehow the connection got dropped - during a phone call on a land line. may be irrelevant.

now, i cannot get bluetooth connection back. there is no bluetooth icon in the system tray.

i cannot find 'bluetooth' devices in start>control panel> devices
--i have 2, and both ought to be there.

i unplugged bluetooth receiver, and had win 7 search for devices to add - no luck.

sure, i can reboot, and everything will probably come back.
but i am hoping for a better answer. i don't want to have to reboot every time the bluetooth connection gets lost.

i searched the web for a little, but only found unrelated posts, or posts with no answer. THANKS!

A:Bluetooth connection lost, icon gone from system tray, not in device manager

bluetooth light/icon on laptop, not screen is on; no bt

ok, i rebooted, thinking the bluetooth icon would again be in system tray, with the red in the middle, showing i have bluetooth capability, but that sound is not currently being directed to bluetooth.

no icon.

the dell laptop does have bluetooth icon illuminated on the laptop, just above the function keys - not on the screen at all / not in sys tray.

the bluetooth receiver is on, is working.

'add a device' is not finding this bt thingie.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bluetooth-connection-lost-icon-gone-from-system-tray-not-in-device-manager.175310/
Relevancy 23.65%

Hello All,
I am looking to buy a flash drive, I have USB3 on my pc and i have seen some flashdrives that are USB3, is there a major difference between USB2 and USB3?
Thank you for your help.
Jon

A:Major difference between USB 2.0 and 3.0 flash drives?

andoyan said:

Hello All,
I am looking to buy a flash drive, I have USB3 on my pc and i have seen some flashdrives that are USB3, is there a major difference between USB2 and USB3?
Thank you for your help.
JonClick to expand...

They're 10x faster it seems.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/major-difference-between-usb-2-0-and-3-0-flash-drives.174749/
Relevancy 22.36%

Hi,
Just wondering if anyone can help. My dvd drive crashed when i was burning files onto a dvd. now all the files are gone. anyone know what i can do to access the files on the dvd? do data recovery programs really help? has this happened to anyone else? is there a way to retrieve the already burned files, or is it a lost cause?

A:DVD drive crash, lost files

No files left on the hard drive? What program did you use to copy the files to the DVD drive? Can you read the DVD on another computer?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dvd-drive-crash-lost-files.174358/
Relevancy 29.24%

Like, a actual laptop with a rotating screen to push down. I mean, HP discontinued the touchsmart, and the closest thing I can find (in my price range) is the acer iconia W500, and thats not even the same. Does anyone make a laptop like this anymore?

A:Does anyone make tablet PCs anymore?

http://blog.laptopmag.com/top-5-tablets-to-buy-avoid

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/does-anyone-make-tablet-pcs-anymore.173073/
Relevancy 23.65%

I need help getting my cd dvd drives to work I can burn a cd but neither drive will read a cd dvd Ive ports not drives CD/DVD working and USB tried the following with no luck Uninstall the drive through Device CD/DVD drives and USB ports not working Manager Restart computer The drive will be automatically reinstalled or http support microsoft com kb Restart computer or Download and run Restore Missing CD Drive patch Double click on cdgone zip to unzip it Right click on cdgone reg click Merge Accept registry merge Restart computer or Go to Device Manager click a quot quot sign CD/DVD drives and USB ports not working next to IDE ATA ATAPI Controllers You ll see two items - ATA Channel or Primary Channel - ATA Channel or Secondary Channel Right click on each of them and click Uninstall Confirm Restart Windows They ll be automatically reinstalled When I try uninstalling the drives through device manager my computer freezes up completely and I have to force shutdown any ideas all help would me much appreciated oh and by the way Im running xp home and I have SP installed thanks nbsp

A:CD/DVD drives and USB ports not working

no? ok. thought I would get a response. I THOUGHT WRONG! lol

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cd-dvd-drives-and-usb-ports-not-working.170413/
Relevancy 22.79%

There was a previous thread on this, but none which I found pertaining to Windows 7.

Can anybody point me in the right direction to do this?

Possibly without having to use the Win7 installation CD...

A:Changing hard drives from IDE to SATA With a RAID configuration in Windows 7

Can you supply us with the full scenario please?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/changing-hard-drives-from-ide-to-sata-with-a-raid-configuration-in-windows-7.172531/
Relevancy 29.24%

I have won't DVD's burn DVD-RW a Compaq C laptop and when I try to make restore discs I get an error saying the disc burned with errors half way through the process I tried copying a DVD with DVDFab and Roxio and still doesn t work I ve tried it with DVD-RW won't burn DVD's different hard drives with Win Vista and XP Using DVDFab in Win the DVD will burn but the movie constantly freezes and you can see on the burned side of the disc that there are parts that didn t burn With Vista the burn process stops midway with error message With XP The burn DVD-RW won't burn DVD's process completes but the disc is blank I also can t write to or format DVD s in Windows but with all OS s I can burn and copy CD s and there is no problem reading any discs I put the DVD drive in an identical laptop and it works perfectly Could there be a motherboard hardware problem that would only affect DVD burning nbsp

A:DVD-RW won't burn DVD's

Replace the CD/DVD RW... CD's and DVD's use different lasers in the same drive

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dvd-rw-wont-burn-dvds.172140/
Relevancy 28.81%

Hello, I'm wanting to burn some gameplay videos and I dont have a capture card. I looked on youtube and people say I can burn it using my DVD player. I have a Toshiba SD-V392 - DVD/VCR Combo. When I try to record the gameplay, it flashes the VHS symbol saying I need a VHS tape to record. How do I record off the DVD instead of the VHS? Any feedback helps!

A:Burn DVD's with DVD/VHS combo

That device is not a DVD recorder. You can only record to VHS and even then the quality will be very poor.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/burn-dvds-with-dvd-vhs-combo.172009/
Relevancy 20.64%

I am new to this forum and to posting tech questions online in general so hopefully I can describe what s going on accurately My computer has had no problems to iPod, External device) memory drives working (e.g. external not speak of lately I had not synced my iPod nano in some time maybe a month or two so I plugged it in yesterday to sync it I received the following message quot iTunes has detected an iPod that appears to be corrupted You may need to restore this iPod before it External drives (e.g. iPod, external memory device) not working can be used with External drives (e.g. iPod, external memory device) not working iTunes quot I have since discovered the problem has nothing to do with External drives (e.g. iPod, external memory device) not working the iPod itself The iPod plays all the music and podcasts that are currently on it just fine When I plug it into my girlfriend s computer her iTunes recognizes it just fine as my iPod and I was able to pull videos off of it I am now pretty certain the problem is with my USB drives I have an external memory drive that I use to back up documents - I had not used this in some time either Out of curiosity I plugged it in and it s not working either When I plug it in and turn it on nothing pops up and when I try to do certain actions to check on it like open My Computer the system freezes and I end up having to manually shut down the computer and restart I have gone through several threads on various forums and tried almost everything but nothing has resolved this issue Some threads suggested that plugging in certain devices can mess up your USB drives like this and a few weeks ago I did plug my girlfriend s printer into one of my USBs - I did get it to work but things were a little screwy with it so I m wondering if somehow that did something Other than that I can t think of anything else that has changed since the last time everything worked So far I have tried changing the drive letter on the iPod I have tried cleaning up my USB drives by using drivecleanup exe I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drives through Device Manager and I tried restoring my computer to a time when everything was working - none of this has fixed the problem and I m now at a loss Also FYI it s not easy for me to reinstall my operating system I have Windows XP Professional Service Pack because I purchased my computer from a custom dealer so I do not own my operating system CDs - they just load the OS onto the computer for you I can take it in to have it reinstalled but it costs and I just did that a few months ago so I really don t want to spend that much to do it again if it s not absolutely necessary especially since everything else on the computer is working fine I am hoping someone will have some insight on this and can help me out Any advice is welcome this has become extremely frustrating and time consuming Thanks Jon nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-drives-e-g-ipod-external-memory-device-not-working.171337/
Relevancy 18.92%

I have an older ativa router don't know the model number right off but it has worked fine and I have 4 hardwired computers wired in and on occasion i use my netbook for a wireless connection. I haven't used it in a few weeks and now it won't work. nothing has been changed on any computer. I can sometimes get a connection but it show packages sent but none received and wont work. do you think the wireless part of the router went bad and how do I know how to check. Please help need the wireless service for my netbook and my new laptop which would not pick up the signal either and i have no password or restrictions on it . They normally just pick it up and work. Please help if you know what i need to do.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lost-wireless-signal-on-wireless-router.170898/
Relevancy 22.79%

I read that to create a backup CD of My Pictures I I I Pictures think lost My should drag the My Pictures desktop shortcut icon to the CD drive shortcut icon and drop it there I think I lost My Pictures I did that I closed My Pictures and played the newly created CD I looked at several pictures Confident that my pictures were now safe on the CD I deleted most of the pictures in My Pictures Still confident I emptied the Recycle Bin Today I needed a couple pictures from the CD I opened the CD and Xclicked the My Pictures icon thinking I was going to view the pictures I had put on the CD Finding only a few pictures I realized that the My Pictures icon on the CD had opened the My Pictures file on the computer Can anyone tell me how I can get to the pictures on the CD As long as that My Pictures icon is on the CD I don t know how to get past it The CD is a CD-R so I can t remove the icon I m thinking if I could somehow disable the My Pictures on my computer I could get to the pictures on the CD and make a new CD without the My Pictures icon Or do it on a different computer that doesn t have a My Pictures program I m using Windows XP home nbsp

A:I think I lost My Pictures

It sounds like you copied the shortcut to My Pictures onto your CD. Double click on My Computer, right click on the CD you have supposedly copied your pictures to, then click on Explore. You should be able to browse your pictures. Or instead of clicking on Explore, click on Properties. It should tell you the total MB of pictures. 300 pictures would probably be couple hundred MB. If that's not what you see, then thing didn't go as you hoped.

At this point, you should prepare yourself that some of the pictures might be unrecoverable. Use programs like Recuva or Photorec and see what can be recovered. Better to install these on a USB drive rather than C: (assuming that's where you saved the pictures) and risk overwriting the "deleted files".

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-think-i-lost-my-pictures.170015/
Relevancy 22.79%

Heres my problem , so my computer dvd and cd drives failed i kept getting mssg select boot device and reboot. then i used a cd drive fromanother computer connected it with xp windows cd and now im getting error in setup"setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer" please help this computer used to work fine before and was xp before..thankyou in advance!

A:Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer

Check you bios settings if it is detecting your HDD.

/edit/

Check also the jumper settings of the CD drive

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/setup-did-not-find-any-hard-disk-drives-installed-in-your-computer.169834/
Relevancy 29.67%

I have WD My Book 1110 Media (1.5TB) which I purchased last year. It was working fine until yesterday but when I plugged it in my computer, it did not show up.

When I removed the USB cable manually, computer asked me to Format the Disk. I then plugged it in my Macbook Pro and it said "The device is not readable by this computer" although Disk Utilities is showing the HD but none of the options like Repair Disk, Verify Disk are available. Also on my PC it does not appear in the My Computer window but is showing up in the Disk Management section and it says "Unallocated Space"

Please help if possible.. There are some very valuable videos and photographs of my grandfather who passed away a few years ago..

A:WD HD not readable anymore

Are you willing to open the case of your WD? If so try connect it as a slave drive on another PC.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wd-hd-not-readable-anymore.169548/
Relevancy 30.53%

Hy there.

I have jack headphones and sometimes when I wanna listen to the computer when i'm connecting headphones the sound is a surrounding one. Can I change the properties of it?
I mention I inserted them in the keyboard slot, but if I insert them to the PC the sound is good.

Thanks in advanced.

A:Changing jack headset properties

You mentioned you plugged the headphones into your keyboard. Could you provide the details of your motherboard?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/changing-jack-headset-properties.169190/
Relevancy 23.65%

Hi all, I have 2 hard drive slots and 2 HDs one small and one huge. How can I have it so that the small one has windows on it like now, And the big one will be able to store files on it?

A:How can I run two hard drives on Windows XP?

If your talking about either physical size, or hard disk space, it will be fine (assuming we're not talking 3TB which I don't think will work).

You can use one for OS, and one for data, sure.

You just install the OS to the small hard disk, and then use the larger sized hard disk for data. The computer won't care where you store data as long as it has enough free space.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-can-i-run-two-hard-drives-on-windows-xp.168904/
Relevancy 22.79%

Let's say that I want to buy this 8-bay RAID enclosure and load it with 4x 2TB drives running in RAID 5. In few years (or months) the 6TB (or so) effective RAID 5 will be full and I will need more space. Will I be able to buy another 2TB drive, add it to the enclosure and tell it to "expand" the current raid 5 to include the new drive? Or will I have to transfer all 6TB out and re-do the raid form ground up?

Thanks

A:Can I add drives to existing RAID without redoing the entire thing?

Depends on the RAID controller but the answer with hardware controllers is typically yes. I don't know anything about the bay you linked or what kind of controller it contains, but based on the price I'd be leary. A stand-alone 8 drive hardware controller usually starts around $400... and that's just for the controller.

After closer inspection I see it's software based RAID. I haven't done this type of RAID in years so I'm not sure sure what kind of advancements have been made here. I do know that I avoid doing software based at all costs.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-i-add-drives-to-existing-raid-without-redoing-the-entire-thing.168662/
Relevancy 28.81%

I have a Dell Inspiron 1521 laptop and the CD-RW drive will no longer burn CD's. I've had this problem before but only two months ago I was able to successfully burn an audio CD and now I can't again! So frustrating!

Anyway, what happens is I put the blank CD in the drive and then use iTunes to try and burn the CD. iTunes recognizes the blank CD and begins the burning process. After the CD is supposedly burned, iTunes will then say that a blank CD has been inserted! Despite saying the CD is burned nothing has happened! I've already wasted a couple CD's doing this so I'm a bit frustrated now!

Any idea why this would happen? I'm not sure of the brand of the drive expect that in the device manager it is called "tsst corp ts l632d ata". Any help would be great! Thanks!

A:CD-RW drive will no longer burn CDs. Why?

Found this: http://club.myce.com/f105/tsstcorp-ts-l632d-problems-188364/

I haven't gone through all the postings, but post # 15 & 69 might be of help.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cd-rw-drive-will-no-longer-burn-cds-why.167722/
Relevancy 23.22%

I have an HP tower I've been given to find out what the problem is. It freezes sometimes at the very first HP blue screen, and at other times indicates cannot find proper boot device message. I went into setup, and found that nothing at all is being seen in terms of SATA connections. 1st drive through the 4th drive indicate that there is nothing at all connected. I currently have the hard drive, and two DVD drives hooked up to the SATA motherboard connections. I've scanned both the hard drive and RAM for integrity. Both test good. So ultimately I am thinking the motherboard is toast, and perhaps a power surge is responsible. Any thoughts?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/motherboard-not-seeing-any-hard-drives-or-roms-connected.167638/
Relevancy 23.65%

Hi Guys, im new to the forum so be gentle - this wont be a 1 post and leave either

So whats happening is im replacing a staff members computer , she has windows xp and has 4 network drives mapped, ive built her a new machine and have installed windows xp on it, and connect it up using the same network cables, how ever when i go to map the drive i get "The network path \\Fileserver1\SCHEDDAT could not be found" , yet when i re-hook up her old system and boot it up it all connect fine....so in a nut shell why does the old one connect fine , but the new build cant access the drives? i have disabled the firewall also....thanks in advance for any help offered.

Ash

A:Problem mapping network drives

Ok so some progress on this, if i share a drive on a local computer plugged into the same router or switch then map to it, i can connect no problems, how ever connecting to the 2 servers seems to be the issue, oddly enough also even when using the EXACT same cables that the other computer that connect fine uses, it still wont connect.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-mapping-network-drives.167103/
Relevancy 28.38%

Hi there,

I have a Western Digital external hard drive that is not detected by Windows anymore. When I plug it in, the hard drive does not show up on "My Computer" but it does show up on Disk Management :

I have read on the internet that this issue is usually caused by a corrupted sector or the MBR that's corrupted.

I tried TestDiskt but unfortunately when it asks me to choose the hard drive i want to select, my external hard drive doesnt show up on the list.

The only hdd that i see on TestDisk is my internal hard drive.

Every software that i tried to recover data with can't detect my external hard drive, that is why I now ask for your help.

Is there anyway I can recover the data or, even better, get my hard drive to work again.

Thanks.

A:My external hard drive is not detected by Windows anymore

You should have a read through this guide thread, see if it helps:

What to do if your external hard drive does not show in my computer

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-external-hard-drive-is-not-detected-by-windows-anymore.167143/
Relevancy 24.08%

My dell vostro laptop came with vista,but some of my programs do not work on vista,when i try to install winxp all goes well until i recieve this message " No hard drive seen". Can some one assist on how to go about this?

A:SATA drives

It seem to me that many people haven't mentioned that they googled this situation for using the sata hard drives on laptop for down-grading to XP.

Have you ever googled for using and integrating the F6 drivers for laptop as yet?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sata-drives.166585/
Relevancy 23.22%

When I copy music files from my PC to a USB external hard drive, some of the files get corrupted and can't be opened. First times this happened I thought it was a faulty hard drive so got another one - exactly same problem. Then I found that the same thing happened when I tried copying music or photo files to a USB flash drive and also to a music player. All the drives work fine when connected to a netbook. Could it be a problem with the USB ports? I've tried using different ports on the PC but always get the same problem. My PC is 5 years old, 2x2.8Ghz Pentium, runs XP and has 2 front and 6 rear USB ports. Anyone come across this and is there anything I can do to solve it short of buying a new PC?

A:Copying to external drives gives corrupted files

Is XP updated to Service Pack 3? How much memory do you have installed?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/copying-to-external-drives-gives-corrupted-files.165720/
Relevancy 24.08%

I have two hard drives both from Seagate i have multiple partitions on both drives but just out of curiosity is one partition possible both drives together i mean only C:/ for both hardrives instead of two or more partitions.

A:Possible to have one partition for two drives?

Yes, it can. They can be configured into a RAID array or as JBOD although I'm no authority in this area. Either way you could have just one logical drive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/possible-to-have-one-partition-for-two-drives.165527/
Relevancy 21.93%

Hi,
Last night when I logged in to Rapidahare, I realised all or most of my files were gone, and there are some important files I need to retrive it, and I had already contacted Rapidshare about this, their reply was :

However, maybe you find the files in the Trash Folder in your account. If they
are deleted, there is no way to recover deleted files.

I'm sorry for the inconvenienc

can anyone tell me how to retrive the files and to find out the date the files were deleted? or also the ip address

help help

A:I lost most of my files stored at Rapidshare. How do I get them back?

Maybe one of your family or friends that you share data with deleted your files...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-lost-most-of-my-files-stored-at-rapidshare-how-do-i-get-them-back.165266/
Relevancy 24.08%

I have been trying to buy a 2TB hard drive for quite some time. My system is basically an installed hard drive with 3 Kingwin pull-out chassis for data drives (such as media/photos/mp3s, emulators, backups, etc). My goal is to retire some of the data drives with higher capacity drives (keeping the old drives as a sort of snapshot in time backup; since you can't really backup 1TB of data economically).

BUT ... there are no 2TB drives on NewEgg which don't predominanatly say "CONS: Drive was DOA in 2 weeks; ran very hot". Certainly the WD2TB drives all suffer from this, and the Samsung isn't doing much better.

Anyone have any insight on a 2TB drive that isn't suffering from severe quality control?

Thanks!

A:Any decent 2TB drives?

hi,

Any brand can fail man, that's a fact

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/any-decent-2tb-drives.163078/
Relevancy 23.65%

Hello I m a first timer on this site I m not very computer savvy but I ve found that I follow forum instructions fairly well I m not too sure how to get a lot of the information that will help you help me so please be a little patient I ll do what I can I m sure you ll need more info but here is a start I have an Acer Aspire Z Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack Processor Genuine Intel CPU T GHz -bit Operating System Avast anti-virus and Spybot search and destroy as well as CCleaner to drives Continuing filling hard help quot clean quot I recognize there are a few VERY similar threads already posted However I also noticed in several notes not to follow others advice blindly so I apologize for any redundancy My problem is that I only have very minimal memory left on C amp D drives I ve removed almost all pictures and music however it has not cleared much Continuing filling hard drives memory In fact the memory appears to be more filled Today I used CCleaner to wipe the drives After doing so the D drive went from almost filled to VERY close to being completely out of memory There are things that showed up w today s date as modified was F ABA E C C A D Continuing filling hard drives FF XLWJUFWNLVJYDBOA And the other F ABA E C C A D FF HFCCYTURFJMLQWCT Under properties they show to be taking about GB of space Can you please advise if it safe to remove to clear up memory Also if you could maybe Continuing filling hard drives walk me through showing what else I have on my computer maybe we can clear up more memory space Thank you so much for your time patience and help Shannon nbsp

A:Continuing filling hard drives

Greetings. Is the D:\ drive of your Acer Aspire 5570Z a partition or do you have two hard drives? Also, what is the size of the drive(s)? Here are a few things which may help:

1.) Start >> All Programs >> Accessories >> System Tools >> Disk Cleanup
2.) Specify the C:\ drive.
3.) As long as there's nothing in your Recycle Bin that you want to keep, then you can check all of the boxes to delete the junk in each category. Some large items may be MS Office installation files and a Windows.old folder if you reinstalled Windows at some point.

Also, it might be worth-while to remove any programs you no longer use (Start >> Control Panel >> Add/ Remove Programs).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/continuing-filling-hard-drives.164192/
Relevancy 22.79%

Guys, I Just bought this USB. (Kingston data traveller 4gb) After buying the USB, i put some files in it and then removed it from the laptop properly. But when I put it back, the files are gone! But when I checked the properties, the used space is still the same but I can't seem to see the files I put in there! I tried putting a single picture in the usb and removed it, when i put I plugged it in the laptop, the image is still the there but the previous files I put there was really gone! Crap, I really need those files. Help please. Thanks.
additional info:BTW, I've tried searching the web and it seems that i'am not alone!

and also, every file i put into the folder i made keeps on disappearing whenever I remove the usb and put it back again. T_T

A:Lost files on USB drive

Hey guys, problem solved. All I had to do was format the USB. And I also tried to recover my files using EASEUS but no luck. My files are gone forever. But at least I've learned my lesson, Always back-up your files. My USB is fixed but my files are gone.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lost-files-on-usb-drive.163268/
Relevancy 23.65%

Can someone point me to a tutorial on the best and easiest way to swap hard drives by copying the whole build to an external drive then moving it all to the new drive once it's installed? I have a 1 TB external drive and would love to just move the contents of the whole failing drive to it so I can install a new drive and put everything back as it was. Don't want to reinstall all my apps and drivers basically.

Thanks so much for your time in advance!

A:Swapping hard drives

Its simpler to just get the replacement drive and copy the contents to it, rather than using the external as a stop-gap. That way you save a lot of time (esp if the external is USB 2) - I'm also unsure what software would do what you want.

If its possible to get the replacement drive and hook it up internally (even if its a temporary hook up like not mounting it, or disconnecting an optical drive) then you can use EASEUS Disk Copy: http://www.easeus.com/disk-copy/ Its free and I know a lot of the members here use it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/swapping-hard-drives.162892/
Relevancy 23.65%

I am trying to rebuild an older computer with an Abit NF -S motherboard All the hard drives were removed except the cd and dvd drives which the motherboard detects and are functional My problem is that the MB cannot detect SATA drives only IDE drives It does have two onboard SATA plug-ins I have used SATA drives in the past on it with no problems but that was through a drives Motherboard detect SATA cannot Promise Raid card which Motherboard cannot detect SATA drives eventually died and caused irreparable damage to the MBR of the hard drive with the OS Windows XP This is why I am starting over Motherboard cannot detect SATA drives I have never used the onboard SATA plug-ins I read the MB manual but it says very little about SATA except that it is set up for two Motherboard cannot detect SATA drives SATA drives which includes a onboard SATA controller which I made sure was enabled in the bios settings I have searched the web for several hours and found no solutions I am hoping that perhaps somebody on this forum uses or is familiar with the NF -S and can help me figure out the problem Thank you TCMGO nbsp

A:Motherboard cannot detect SATA drives

You need to install the SATA/RAID drivers for the motherboard. Windows XP does not have support for SATA so you would need to reinstall XP and use a floppy disc to install the drivers during the installation. This is done early in the install process when a message appears at the bottom of the screen asking you to hit F6 to install additional drivers.

This guide will show how to integrate the SATA drivers with XP if you do not have a floppy drive

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Install-Windows-XP-On-SATA-Without-a-Floppy-F6-47807.shtml

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/motherboard-cannot-detect-sata-drives.161991/