Windows Support Forum

Converting text to numerals in excel

Q: Converting text to numerals in excel

Hi, This is silly but...

I have created a template on excel for printing my company cheques and what I wanted to know was:

Can I create a formula or macro so that when I write a number in text (such as 'one' or 'two' or 'three', etc) in the cell representing the word part of my cheque, can I get that number (as '1' or '2' or '3', etc) to appear in another cell representing the numerical part of my cheque.

This is a lazy man's burden but I thought it would also suffice as a check that the right amount was going on both parts.

Sorry for the bother but ...

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Converting text to numerals in excel

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Converting text to numerals in excel

Take a look at numbers alphebetic and numeric

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/converting-text-to-numerals-in-excel.146118/
Relevancy 76.97%

I'm trying to convert numbers to text in Excel for e.g. convert "1" to "one", "2" to "two" etc.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

A:converting numbers to text in Excel

Fatmah,
I could not find a Worksheet function to do this, but depending how many changes there are and how many different numbers need to be changed, you may be able to do this with a VLOOKUP.

In a test I ran I had numbers with values from 1-12. I created a 2 column range elsewhere on the spreadsheet. The 1st column had the 1.2.3 numbers and the 2nd column had their text equivelent. I inserted a new column to the right of where the original numbers were and entered the following to the right of the first value I wanted to change. The vlookup looked like this =VLOOKUP(A4,$F$4:$G$15,2,FALSE) Note: A4 was the cell that had the value I wanted changed. $F$4:$G$15 is the range of the lookup array. 2 is the column with the text value.

Needless to say, this would not be a good idea if every cell had a different number or there were thousands of possible numbers to be converted, but if you had thousands ofmnumbers in a limited range, this might be helpful.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fatmah:
I'm trying to convert numbers to text in Excel for e.g. convert "1" to "one", "2" to "two" etc.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/converting-numbers-to-text-in-excel.38696/
Relevancy 76.97%

Hi all,

I'm having a bit of a problem in Excell. Whenever I save an excel file as text, it places quotation marks arrond any cell which contains a comma.

Has anyone ever encountered this or know how to resolve it?

Thanks

Relevancy 76.11%

I need to convert an excel file to a quoted comma-delimited format as a text file. When I use the formula:
=concatenate("""",A1,"""",",","""",B1,"""",",","""",C1,"""",), I get an error message "error 528'. I was told in a previous forum to use this formula in the first cell next to the numbers to be converted.
I have 1000 rows of 3 colums of numbers that have to read as follows:
"1","400100000311","52"
I can get it to a text format without quotes, but need the quotes as above.
I'm running windows 7, and open office.
Thanks for any help you can give me.

Relevancy 76.11%

I am trying to combine 2 spreadsheets. One acct number col. is formatted as text, one is formatted as numbers. When I convert the text format to number or vice versa, and I try to sort the entire thing as one column, it will not sort them together. Some part of the old formatting is causing a problem. Any suggestions on how to fix?

A:Excel: converting number to text format

Excel could just still be seeing some of your numbers as text. Here's how to fix it.

Put a 1 in any blank cell--that's a number one.

Copy that cell.

Select all of your account numbers. Hit Edit-Paste Special and select either multiply or divide. If Excel is seeing some of these numbers as text, this trick will force it to see them as numbers.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/excel-converting-number-to-text-format.36806/
Relevancy 76.11%

What is the Excel formula to change text date to 'pipe' delimited Roman numerals (e.g. June 8, 2009 should be converted to VI|VIII|MMIX.)

A:Change Text Date to Roman Numerals

Rather than my simplyy posting links to quite a few possible solution, if you do the google trawl/search I did using the string (search words):Roman numerals in excelyou'll get some clearly viable results. Top of the list I got is from MS office support...

http://www.computing.net/answers/office/change-text-date-to-roman-numerals/20203.html
Relevancy 74.82%

I am trying to extract a date from a data cell within an Excel 2003 workbook.

The cell contains the data, "October 10, 2011 11:11:11 PM GMT-04:00" but I want only the date information and for it to convert to MM/DD/YYYY format. Basically, taking that cell and turning it into 10/10/2011.

I have about 500 entries with similar data and I am looking for the easiest way to extract the dates from the text. Mind you, the length of the Months (i.e., January vs. September), Date (i.e., 1 vs 11), and even time vary (1:00 vs 11:11).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Found the answer I was looking for:

Assuming the first cell is A1,

=TEXT(LEFT(A1,FIND(",",A1)+5), "mm/dd/yyy")

Copy down, then copy the column and paste values.

You can also use

=DATEVALUE(LEFT(A1,FIND(",", A1)+5))

then format the cell as mm/dd/yyy, then copy down.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-excel-2003-extracting-and-then-converting-text-to-date.1022107/
Relevancy 73.1%

i know the =ROMAN(number) formula to get roman numerals, but what i have a problem with is getting text in the same cell as the roman numeral

A:Roman numerals in Excel 2010

Hi,

the whole cell, including text has to be a complete formula...

e.g.

="Hello"&ROMAN(13)

Hope it helps

OS

http://www.sevenforums.com/microsoft-office/122588-roman-numerals-excel-2010-a.html
Relevancy 73.1%

I need to convert Excel data into ASCII comma delimited text file format. I know that if I save as csv. that the data can be pasted into Wordpad with the comma delimiter, but how do I get the quotes around the data fields?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Relevancy 63.64%

I have a Publisher 2003 document, which has text in two columns in various boxes. How can I convert it to continuous text, so that when I add text, it pushes everything to the next column or page, as required?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/publisher-converting-text-in-boxes-to-continuous-text.291536/
Relevancy 58.05%

I run a weekly excel macro that converts a spreadsheet to a Word document but it stops after row of - 29 row Excel excel to converting - word after Macro doc stops data Any spreadsheet with rows or less works fine If I have rows of data the macro hangs See below for script Any help would Excel Macro - converting excel to word doc - stops after row 29 be appreciated Public Sub AddControls WrdApp As Word Application CurRow As Integer Dim OptChecked As Boolean Dim GrpName As String GrpName quot Grp quot amp CurRow Calculate the colors based on the cell information CurRange quot F quot amp CurRow amp quot quot amp quot F quot amp CurRow Range CurRange Select If InStr UCase ActiveCell Text quot X SRM quot gt Then SRM OptChecked True Else OptChecked False End If SetCellBG WrdApp True WrdApp Selection TypeText Text quot Governance quot amp vbCrLf Set RadioObj WrdApp Selection InlineShapes AddOLEControl quot Forms OptionButton quot With RadioObj OLEFormat Object GroupName GrpName Caption quot SRM quot Font Name quot Arial quot Font Size Value OptChecked End With If InStr UCase ActiveCell Text quot X PPO quot gt Then PPO OptChecked True Else OptChecked False End If WrdApp Selection Collapse Direction wdCollapseEnd WrdApp Selection TypeParagraph Set RadioObj WrdApp Selection InlineShapes AddOLEControl quot Forms OptionButton quot With RadioObj OLEFormat Object GroupName GrpName Caption quot PPO quot Font Name quot Arial quot Font Size Value OptChecked End With If InStr UCase ActiveCell Text quot X ITAC quot gt Then ITAC OptChecked True Else OptChecked False End If WrdApp Selection Collapse Direction wdCollapseEnd WrdApp Selection TypeParagraph Set RadioObj WrdApp Selection InlineShapes AddOLEControl quot Forms OptionButton quot With RadioObj OLEFormat Object GroupName GrpName Caption quot ITAC quot Font Name quot Arial quot Font Size Value OptChecked End With If InStr UCase ActiveCell Text quot X ITSC quot gt Then ITSC OptChecked True Else OptChecked False End If WrdApp Selection Collapse Direction wdCollapseEnd WrdApp Selection TypeParagraph Set RadioObj WrdApp Selection InlineShapes AddOLEControl quot Forms OptionButton quot With RadioObj OLEFormat Object GroupName GrpName Caption quot ITSC quot Font Name quot Arial quot Font Size Value OptChecked End With If InStr UCase ActiveCell Text quot X ITSG quot gt Then ITSG OptChecked True Else OptChecked False End If WrdApp Selection Collapse Direction wdCollapseEnd WrdApp Selection TypeParagraph Set RadioObj WrdApp Selection InlineShapes AddOLEControl quot Forms OptionButton quot With RadioObj OLEFormat Object GroupName GrpName Caption quot ITSG quot Font Name quot Arial quot Font Size Value OptChecked End With CheckBoxes CurRange quot G quot amp CurRow amp quot quot amp quot G quot amp CurRow Range CurRange Select WrdApp Selection MoveRight Unit wdCell SetCellBG WrdApp True WrdApp Selection TypeText Text quot Approvals quot amp vbCrLf Set ChkObj WrdApp Selection InlineShapes AddOLEControl quot Forms CheckBox quot If InStr UCase ActiveCell Text quot X GIS EXPENSE quot gt Then GIS EXPENSE OptChecked True Else OptChecked False End If With ChkObj OLEFormat Object Caption quot GIS Expense quot Font Name quot Arial quot Font Size Value OptChecked Width End With WrdApp Selection Collapse Direction wdCollapseEnd WrdApp Selection TypeParagraph Set ChkObj WrdApp Selection InlineShapes AddOLEControl quot Forms CheckBox quot If InStr UCase ActiveCell Text quot X PPO quot gt Then PPO OptChecked True Else OptChecked False End If With ChkObj OLEFormat Object Caption quot PPO quot Font Name quot Arial quot Font Size Value OptChecked Width End With WrdApp Selection Collapse Direction wdCollapseEnd WrdApp Selection TypeText Text quot quot Set TxtObj WrdApp Selection InlineShapes AddOLEControl quot Forms TextBox quot With TxtObj OLEFormat Object Font Name quot Arial quot Font Size Width End With WrdApp Selection Collapse Direction wdCollapseEnd WrdApp Selection TypeParagraph Set ChkObj WrdApp Selection Inlin... Read more

A:Excel Macro - converting excel to word doc - stops after row 29

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/excel-macro-converting-excel-to-word-doc-stops-after-row-29.818358/
Relevancy 57.19%

My niece carefully typed up her father's resume using Wordpad. She then managed to save it in the following form:
<FONT Name="Heading" face="Arial" size=12 Condensed=F BIU=TFF></FONT>
<FONT Name="Description" face="Arial" size=12 Condensed=F BIU=FFF></FONT>
I have been unable to save/convert this back into a normal mode. Does anyone know if it is possible and if so how do I do it? All I have been able to come up with so far is to have her print the entire "listing" and then carefully retype the "text" parts. Thanks.

Relevancy 56.76%

Afternoon I m having trouble extracting text from the middle of a text string using Excel I ve been searching around and there are a few ways this can be done however most really on using a function to search for the text after a specific letter or seperator For example singling out the middle initial of a name Jeffery Excel: middle of from Difficult Solved: - text Extract a the text string J Skilling John D Doe In Column B the First Name will be extracted using the following formula LEFT A SEARCH quot quot A - in Column C the Middle Initial Solved: Excel: Extract text from the middle of a text string - Difficult will be extracted for middle init use this Solved: Excel: Extract text from the middle of a text string - Difficult formula MID A SEARCH quot quot A My problem is that i can t single out anything to search by to be able to define what needs to be extracted Below is a list containing some of the items Solved: Excel: Extract text from the middle of a text string - Difficult from my list As you can see they differ in number of characters and have multiple dashes quot - quot What formula process can i use to extract the bold numbers from each of the text strings I have about lines to process -CP- -B -CL- -S -DMW- -B -CL- -B -SW- -X -DO- -B Once again your help is always greatly appreciated nbsp

A:Solved: Excel: Extract text from the middle of a text string - Difficult

"multiple dashes": agreed, but in your sample all items have the same number of multiple dashes -- 3.

If that's a given, just use Data > Text to Columns with "-" as delimiter. Then delete fields 1, 2 & 4 from the results since it seems that "section" 3 is always the bold stuff.

HTH, if not post back.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-excel-extract-text-from-the-middle-of-a-text-string-difficult.822744/
Relevancy 56.33%

PDF with multiple pages and I need to copy text from one existing form field, place in a different size form field, resize, and convert to vector art for production.

Can I do this with the form field being on a separate page? AND can I convert the text to vector on this separate page specifically?

Thanks for your help!

Chris

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/converting-text-to-vector-art.1078655/
Relevancy 56.33%

are there any (free) applications using command lines to convert a text file to an image.png ?

the text file consists of only 3 lines; I need to convert it to a png for uploading

Relevancy 56.33%

I have a glowing letter of recommendation that I have scanned into my computer. I need to be able to e-mail it and attach it to job applications on-line. It is in jpeg format now. How can I get it into a form that I can use on-line?
I have the paper copy of it and I can scan it again if needed. I don't know the best format to scan it too.
I don't have any conversion software.
It has a letterhead and a signature, so I cannot just retype it.
Any help would be appriciated.

A:Converting from Jpeg to text?

Your best bet would be to rescan it as a document, not as a graphic file. Especially so if anyone intends to print it or use it in anything other than digital file format.

Or...you could exist it as a graphic file within the body of a short Word document...and then send it as a Word doc.

Actually...I think I'd just send it as an email attachment, retaining the graphic file format. I would adjust the size of the graphic so that it would not be extraordinarily large by email standards.

My first suggestion is the best .

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/175428/converting-from-jpeg-to-text/
Relevancy 56.33%

Many times in the past when I would type Text-formatted cells changes after ### 255th Excel: Text in the to character plain text into cells of an Excel spreadhseet I noticed that at point the contents of a cell would turn into sharp signs i e I did not know what triggered this but I did notice that if Excel: Text in Text-formatted cells changes to ### after the 255th character I change the cell type from Text to General the cell s text would come back to normal Today I had this happened again and I was determined to find out what caused it As it turns out if you have a Text-formatted type cell and you type Excel: Text in Text-formatted cells changes to ### after the 255th character more than characters in it all the cell s contents will turn into sharp signs In order to revert to the text you must either change the cell s format to General or truncate the text manually to a maximum of characters The problem with formatting cells as General in a text-only spreadsheet is that you cannot use characters that make Excel think you are typing a formula that is you cannot use hyphens or quot keywords quot such as quot not quot etc without prefixing them with a This is why I normally format all cells as Text when I know I will only type text in a certain spreadsheet Has anyone else noticed this and is there a solution to have more than characters in a cell without having to change its type to General Thanks for any help nbsp

A:Excel: Text in Text-formatted cells changes to ### after the 255th character

You might want to read this:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HP051992911033.aspx
- in general, 1024 characters is the maximum allowable in a cell, but, as you have noticed, at 255 characters they are no longer displayed in the cell normally, but you can enter 32,767 characters in total, but after 255 characters they can only be read in the formula bar.
Also, if your cell only contains numeric data, then changing the format to General will leave you with information using scientific notation.
Alas, spreadsheets are spreadsheets and not word processors.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/excel-text-in-text-formatted-cells-changes-to-after-the-255th-character.847742/
Relevancy 56.33%

I am making a database that imports data from excel files However those files are not originally from excel So I have to pull data about once a week from a system that saves the files to a format that excel can read but 2010: insert text... contains specific Excel text, that Cell Access doesn't want to read because it is not in the xml format I have to convert the data to excel easy as opening the file in excel and saving it as an xml I then go into the worksheet and have to change the first row because it contains repeating data and they need to be unique fields of course The first row is used as the header information The first columns A -J are fine as the data is Excel 2010: Cell contains specific text, insert that text... unique in each K is where the issue begins K contains a year and other text The following columns L X contain other text without the year from K This repeats at Y having a year and the following columns not having a year but having the same text as L X I need to take the year from K the year will be the first four characters and insert that year as text into the next columns as the beginning text of the cell so they become unique This needs to happen about times - This is tedious at best doing it by hand but I have to do it for every piece of data I pull I could do it by hand once and then copy and paste it into all of the new worksheets however I'd prefer to have a macro I could run to do this Any help would be greatly appreciated

A:Excel 2010: Cell contains specific text, insert that text...

Try this. The code is written for the K1, L1:X1 situation. Expand/modify it to extend across all of your other ranges. As written, it inserts the first 4 characters from K1 and a space at the beginning of L1:K1.
Sub AddYear()
'Loop through Range
For Each myCell In Range("L1:X1")
'Insert first 4 characters from K1
Range(myCell.Address) = Left(Range("K1"), 4) & " " & myCell
Next
'Repeat code for other Ranges
End SubClick Here Before Posting Data or VBA Code ---> How To Post Data or Code.message edited by DerbyDad03

http://www.computing.net/answers/office/excel-2010-cell-contains-specific-text-insert-that-text/19905.html
Relevancy 56.33%

Good morning / Good afternoon
As a newbie I am making the first posting on your forum and I hope it is not a silly question.

I received a hard print of an excel spreadsheet with data in 9 columns (2 date formatted and 6 number formatted) of figures from my by bank and I wish 2 use them for further calculation. As I didn't get an electronic file from the bank I scanned the data sheet on the HP Scanner into text files ( rich text, plain text etc) and attempted to import the text into Excel; but I was unsuccessful. Have I attempted the impossible or did I do something wrong ?

If it is possible to do so how should I proceed ?
With thanks, anothernub

Relevancy 55.9%

Is it possible to covert a digital recording message to text in Windows 7? If so, How to do it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/converting-didital-recording-to-text.1038860/
Relevancy 55.9%

Can anyone help me to prevent Word 2000 from automatically converting an Adobe pdf of a scanned text document back to text?

I want to insert the scanned document as a picture, however both when I try to "Insert Picture from File" or just save the pdf to clipboard and then paste into the Word document, Word automatically tries to convert it to text.

I'm very grateful for any help offered - this is annoying me!

Thanks

A:Prevent Word from converting pdf to text?

Try going to the Edit menu and clicking Paste Special, maybe one of its options will preserve the format.

Otherwise maybe Insert->Object will work.

If not then try converting the pdf to an image format.

Good luck.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/prevent-word-from-converting-pdf-to-text.373723/
Relevancy 55.9%

I have a pdf file which seems to have been created by scanning text images. I need to convert it into text format so I can search the text. Can anyone suggest a utility which can take pdf file name as the input and create a Word or any text document from it? I tried to download various things from web but all the utilities seem to see the image as text so report there is no text. It doesn't allow me to select the whole file either when I am in Acrobat so any selection seems to be page by page. There are some genuine images/picyures in the file too but I wouldn't mind it if only the text came through.

Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Rajeev

A:Solved: Converting pdf image into text...

You need to use an OCR package to convert the graphics to text. There is no "magic" way to convert graphics to text.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-converting-pdf-image-into-text.447044/
Relevancy 55.9%

I am transcribing a cemetery to put the info on the web and it has to be in text format.
I have the database while I am working on gathering data, taking photos, etc in Access. Is there any way to take the info I have in Access in output into plain text format.
Its okay if I lose the formatting - just having the data will help.
The output format is required to be in columns, i.e., name, birthdate, death date, epitaph.
I sure hope someone can help with this. I have tried taking it to Excel and then outputting and nothing gives me a plain text format.
Thanx G

Relevancy 55.9%

Pretty straight forward issue here. I am creating a contact database in goldmine. One of the pieces of information I need to enter is the industry type. The format that I was given to use has the NAICS code. So heres the deal I have column A which has the naics code of the contact. Column B which has the government list of naics codes. and column c which has the code definition. I would like to create a formula which takes the code listed in column a, matches it to the corresponding code in column b and replaces it with the description for that code which is listed in column c.

for ex.
cell A1 has code 023567
the matching cell would be B32 (023567) - farming (cell C32)
replace either A1 with farming or enter it in D1

A:converting a column of codes into text

Take a look at the VLOOKUP function. You'll need to sort columns B & C in ascending order and use a helper column to display the description.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HP052093351033.aspx
Regards,
Rollin

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/converting-a-column-of-codes-into-text.667246/
Relevancy 55.04%

Hello friends,

I have a number of data that were pulled out from an oracle database, where it had entered in text format. In fact it contains both numbers and text. Is it possible to convert all numbers that entered as text into number format? It is required for calculation in Excel. When I tried by selecting and changing their format, it is not happening. It works only if re-enter that number in that cell. Any remedy?

Relevancy 55.04%

I'm currently using a marine mammal positioning programme called Cyclops tracker I need to create a tide file in .CTF format. This is described in the manual as a simple text file. I have created a *.txt file in notepad and also a word doc but cannot find out how to convert either of these into the .CTF format required.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Relevancy 55.04%

I have a number of voice memos recorded in my iPhone and would like to convert them to text files. Can this be done?

A:Solved: Converting voice files to text

I don't know about any iPhone software, but there are plenty of computer Speech to Type programs out there.

Off the top of my head,
-Dragon Naturaly Speaking.
-TalkIt TypeIt.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-converting-voice-files-to-text.958998/
Relevancy 54.61%

Hi.

I have a userform which reads from a text file stored on a network device, and displays the text in a textbox.

A suggestion has been made by a colleague who wants to be able to perform a search on this textbox to find certain keywords. No other suggestion has been made, and I am looking into whether this is possible?

Is there anyway this can be implemented?

Kind Regards

Lightingman2003

Relevancy 54.61%

Can someone tell me how to convert a jpeg back to text ? I scanned a text ducument (which then becomes a jpeg) that I want to fax via computer but I need to convert it back to text so I can copy and paste it into the fax program. I remember going through this some time ago and think I found the answer here, but can't seem to locate it now. Thanks!

Relevancy 54.61%

We have a few hundred product data sheets saved as multipage PDF files It appears that they were originally created in some type of a CAD program that used a few different SHX fonts When they were output to PDF all of the individual letters were converted into a series of connected short lines and arcs This has created a few problems for me First the files are huge a page data sheet is to MB and a pain to send via e-mail Secondly we need to correct typos and add information to them Asking the factory to make the corrections in the original file and generating Converting file in to PDF a SHX fonts Solved: text editable a new PDF sometimes takes months if we can convince them to do it I am currently using Acrobat yes I know it is old for Windows The text capture function only seems to like bitmapped text and ignores all the short lines and arcs I have also seen a few commercial programs promoted as being able to convert PDF files into MS-Word but I could not find details on how they handle the type of text I am dealing with Anybody Solved: Converting SHX fonts in a PDF file to editable text familiar with them enough to know if they would work for me Would a newer version of Acrobat have text capture that would work with vector based text A sample page from one of the PDF files is attached as an example of what I am dealing with nbsp

Relevancy 54.61%

Hello,
I have a column of dates that I have formatted like this:
\S\Ayymmdd
The date needs to look like this:
SA160327
This is exactly what I need, except I have to insert these in a csv file, and when I try to copy and paste the date, the formatting is gone, and I just get numbers like this:
Does anyone know how I could copy my dates so that they're just text but in that format?
I'm currently retyping all of them, and I have hundreds....
Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Fern.

Relevancy 54.18%

I need to have editable text, preferably as WORD .doc to create files to be sent to another person. Is there some sort of conversion process for some wordpad text I now have?

A:Solved: converting text files in Win XP from wordpad to a WORD document

Simply open them in Word and save them as Word files. Nearly everyone can open WordPad files though.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-converting-text-files-in-win-xp-from-wordpad-to-a-word-document.908396/
Relevancy 54.18%

My incoming messages are being automatically converted to plain
text. I have tried some of the "help" stuff to no avail.

I work at a school system where all messages are routed.

Never had this problem before. My computer crashed, and athe tech loaded this new computer, which has been doing this automatic convert to plain text.

Thanks so much for your help.

A:Windows 2007 Outlook--Automatically converting to plain text?

Open Outlook and look at the following setting:

Tools > Trust Center > Email Security

Under Read as Plain Text, untick "Read all standard mail as plain text",
then click'OK'.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-2007-outlook-automatically-converting-to-plain-text-629213.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Hi guys,
I'm a non-professional java developer who needs a way of taking a .txt file and turning it into a bunch of Strings (one String per line) so I can batch rename a bunch of files with filenames taken from the text file line by line; a kind of custom file renamer, but I'm struggling with the classes and methods needed for the first part of the project (ie getting a .txt file and turning each line into a String so I can rename files with it)

Any thoughts would be super appreciated.
chz
Ben

A:Need Java method for converting lines from text file into String objects

Hi mushka,

I know I have the program you need. It was lost among my old pieces of coding.
Finally, I got it.
I test the program and it works.
Remark : the process ignores empty lines and it may be executed on both Windows and Unix based OS.
Also, you must rename the files in attachment with the .java extension.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-java-method-for-converting-lines-from-text-file-into-string-objects.301824/
Relevancy 52.89%

I have Adobe Pro 7 with Office 03.
I'm able to convert Excel to pdf via printing options. However, I can't seem to get multiple tabs to convert to one pdf document.
I don't want to select entire workbook because that will convert all tabs.
How do you select it so you only convert some tabs to pdf?

Relevancy 52.89%

Hi,

I'm trying to convert an excel spreadsheet to a PDF file. While it can do so, I have a graph in the excel document, along with an arrow pointing to a value on the Y Axis. When I convert the spreadsheet, however, the arrow gets moved up half an inch or so, which makes the graph and arrow inaccurate.

Please help!

Thanks,

JFresh

Relevancy 52.89%

Help!

I created a table using Excel, and from that table I created a line chart using the Chart Wizard.

After the chart was complete, I then added data using the drawing tools "add text icon."

When I want to included the data table when printing, the text that I added prints fine.

Now here is where the problem occurs. if I just select the chart, the text disappears, and if I do a print preview or print, the text doesn't show up. The text that I added is behind the chart in a cell. I tried to bring it forward but that doesn't work.

What am I doing wrong?

If I create the table in Power Point, and then add the text, everything prints fine. I don't understand why it works in Power Point and not in Excel.

Thank you for your help.

A:Excel-Printing Text that was added to a Chart using the Drawing Tools "Text Icon"

When you select a chart in Excel, that becomes the print range. I think you'll be better off copying the chart to it's own worksheet and resizing to desired size...and of course, carry the text box(es) along with it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/excel-printing-text-that-was-added-to-a-chart-using-the-drawing-tools-text-icon.130069/
Relevancy 52.46%

I have a file given to me by our local tax accessor with all the info in need with one problem. The name field is one field which includes last first Middle initail example below

Smith John D

or

Smith John & Nancy

In doing a mailing I want it to be First Last (could care less about Initial or second name

Ant thought short of aadding commas to all 4000 names

Relevancy 52.46%

dear all,

Am running Office XP pro. Doing an excel template and have a column that has running time in minute. I need to has a separate column that show in hours. Therefore I devide the min col with 60 to get the hour but it's in decimal ie 100min = 1.666 but i need it to show 1hr 40 min.

how do it do that? pls help. thanks

Relevancy 52.46%

Does the "OR" worksheet formula on Lotus convert to something else in excel?
Could anyone give an example (excel) of how to use the "OR" formula along with "IF"?
I have already used the conversion Wizard and the Formula did not convert.

Relevancy 52.46%

My boss just asked me to convert a publisher 2003 file to an excel 2003 so it can be used in another store location. Is that posible and how?
HELP!

Relevancy 52.46%

I have set up a spreadsheet that contains a list of things to do. I want to be able to enter the lette Y beside the ones that have been completed. Is there anyway to change the letter to a check mark.

I have already tried the autocorrect function, but this then changes all the letter Y in my orther spreadsheets.

Thanks

A:Excel: Converting letters

Select the cells before doing find/replace. That limits how much changes.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/excel-converting-letters.534577/
Relevancy 52.46%

Hi there bright people,

I am having trouble converting a LOC file type into EXCEL.

I have tried every type of special copy and paste and tried different formatting, but everytime i get the same result. That being cells that will only show (example) 1.440000E+62, or somthing similar. I will then expand the cell to cope with the length of the text but still the same result

I can however open the LOC file in Notepad or wordpad and can view the document there, but I need to be able to manipulate the data in Excel to be able to run a Macro over it.

Any help from an Excel Guru would be great.

Yours
Hicbart

A:Converting LOC files into Excel

Have you tried "Importing" the data straight in to Excel?
Alternatively if you save the file in Wordpad as a comma delimited file, Excel can then open it directly.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/converting-loc-files-into-excel.395702/
Relevancy 52.46%

Good afternoon,

Does anyone know if there is a downloadable converter that will take a WORD document (extension .wps) on a computer running win 98 and convert it into an excel or word document on a computer running xp and office xp (extension .xls)
i have just changed jobs to a company i used to work for and due to the economic climate have not updated their computer system, and i was hoping that there was a program that i can add to my computer to allow me to read .wps and .wks documents generated by an earlier version of word, mainly to convert and store them onto a cd.

is there anything i need to look for on the free download sites?

best regards
phil

A:need help converting word 4 to excel etc

I don't know of a program that would do this. It seems to me the Word program that you have should determine if you will be able to use Excel with it or not. I would suggest that you request that your thread be moved to the Business Applications forum. You'll probably get more responses.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-help-converting-word-4-to-excel-etc.274341/
Relevancy 52.46%

Good Day !

I receive via email 2 reports daily from a POS system for restaurantscalled ALOHA.

The first salesreport from ALOHA is sent in "sls.rtf" format...the second report is sent in " pay.rtf" format. My Santa Clause wish is to export these figures into excel...or ultimately to quickboooks.
The rep for the POS system said it was not possible. Is he correct?

A:Help converting sls.rtf files to excel

smgisland, Santa Clause has come early. You can import rtf files in to Excel.
Whether you can make sense of the data afterwards is another thing though, it may take some data manipulation.
To import a file go to Main Menu>Data>Import External Data>Import Data
to browse to your file change the File Types to either "all files" or "text fies".

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-converting-sls-rtf-files-to-excel.582829/
Relevancy 52.03%

I have an Excel file which I have to convert into ASCII.

In the converted file, each record should consist of 296 characters, for e.g.,

Positions 1 - 30: Surname
Positions 31-50: First name
Positions 51: Initial
Positions 52 - 75: Address Line 1
etc.

My problem is that if the surname is less than 30 characters, it has to be padded with spaces and if it's a numeric field it has to be padded with zeros.

As I mentioned, I have an excel file. Is there any way I can format the excel file to automatically put in spaces or add zeros whichever the case may be and then I can just save the file in ASCII format? Is there any other program I could use to accomplish this task?

Any help would be much appreciated.

A:Converting Excel file to ASCII

I am sure you could do something with access to output a charachter string and pad them like you stated.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/converting-excel-file-to-ascii.53355/
Relevancy 52.03%

How do I convert this to Access?
In excel I have a formula which takes production levels for an individual an applies them to the table below to get their rate. =IF(BE6>0,VLOOKUP(BL6,Grids!$G$23:$J$34,4),0) How do I convert that to Access? Do I do it in a query or do I create multiple tables? Here's another formula -- =IF(CS6="Yes",VLOOKUP(CP6,Grids!$G$3:$L$9,HLOOKUP(CR6,Grids!$G$3:$L$9,2)),0). If needed, I can provide that grid as well.
Here's the table called "Grids" used in the EXCEL formula below. The rep table has one row per individual rep with their values stored in BE6 and BL6. (argh! I can't copy/paste the grid into this forum post!)

Column G H I J
Production LevelYear 1Year 2Year 3
<$200,0000NANANA$200,000-$299,999 200000NANANA$300,000-$399,999300000NANANA$400,000-$499,99940000028%34%36%$500,000 - 599,99950000036%37%39%$600,000 - 699,99960000037%38%40%$700,000 - 799,99970000038%39%41%$800,000 - 899,99980000039%40%41%$900,000 - 999,99990000039%40%41%$1,000,000 - 1,499,999100000040%41%42%$1,500,000 - 1,999,999150000041%42%42%$2,000,000+200000042%42%43%

A:Hlookup in Excel converting to Access

You use one or more Queries to do what you want. If you can explain in words what the lookup does I can advise you how to do it in a query.
From what you have already written it suggests that the Individuals "rates" would be in a separate table, in which case the query only needs to link the 2 tables to provide the data.
If the rates are in the same table a query will provide them anyway.
You can attach a copy of a Screen shot of the Table by pasting it in to Excel or word and the zipping it and attaching it to your post and then using the "Go Advanced" & "Manage Attachments" Buttons below where you type.

I can provide you with examples if required.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hlookup-in-excel-converting-to-access.1145391/
Relevancy 52.03%

I would like to know how to convert old files .wpd/.wpl to Excel or Word. O/S is XP. These files have been saved to a floppy and the old computer has died so cannot access files to resave.
I've tried changing the extension to txt, doc. dbf, xls etc. and opening up in several different applications but receive only non-text information (squares etc.).
Can someone help with this dinosaur file?
Thank you.

A:Converting wpd/wpl files to excel or word

what are they from word perfect - you may be able to open with word - in word - open - change the filetype to the ones you have

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/converting-wpd-wpl-files-to-excel-or-word.246025/
Relevancy 52.03%

howd'y

I'm just wondering how to convert this spread sheet file (.wks) to excel 2007..

i know thats a lot of years in between the two programs but there must be a way to convert it.. or is there?

so i do need to open and re use the spread sheet but i don't know how i got that program in the first place.. so yer.

ive tried to convert it using excel 07' and was a fail. only came up with all differnt characters.

thanks for reading.

A:Solved: converting spreadsheet (.wks) to excel 07

Is this of help ??? http://forums.techguy.org/business-applications/779694-solved-works-vs-excel-formats.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-converting-spreadsheet-wks-to-excel-07.871493/
Relevancy 52.03%

is there a way to convert an excel table to be all caps?

I really do not feel like retyping all these tables again.

Thanks in advance.

Relevancy 52.03%

First, sorry if this question has already been answered. I did a search but didn't find what I was looking for (or maybe I didn't understand). Anyway, in an Excel 2003 workbook I have a column of filenames (.jpg) that I want to convert into hyperlinks. Obviously, I don't want to do this one at a time. It's important to say that I'm not very familiar with macros and not at all familiar with VB.

To make matters more difficult, once completed I need to move both the images and the workbook to a DVD - preferably with the hyperlinks functioning. I later need to move it to another PC.

But, first things first, how can I convert that column of filenames into a column of hyperlinks? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Relevancy 52.03%

Hi

I just started to use MS Excel and I'm having trouble entering data in one specific catalogue.

In one column in that catalogue are digits, and what I have to do is to multiply them all by certain value and then add percentage to them.

Is there a way to do it quicker then one cell at the time, it okay now but as the info building up it will become a genuine pain in the you know what...

Thanks in advance

Relevancy 52.03%

I need to sort a column of calculated numbers into ascending order. I assume that requires creating another column with those numbers expressed as constants to do the actual sorting. Any suggestions on how to create the second column would be appreciated.

Relevancy 52.03%

I am trying to convert a very large Lotus 123 spreadsheet, with multiple sheets and macros, to Excel 2000. I know that the macros and most formulas are different. How do I save it so that it opens in Excel so that I can play with the problem areas. I have tried to do a "save as" and it does open in excel, but when I try to close the application it asks me a slew of questions regarding saving and tells me all of the errors that are occuring. After I get through all of that, it still shows up as a lotus icon. If I could only get the entire workbook to save as and show up as an Excel file I should be able to work from there.

Thank you for any help you can give.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/converting-lotus-123-to-excel-2000.73290/
Relevancy 52.03%

Hello

I have an old Quattro Pro file which I would like to access but do not have Quattro Pro installed any longer. I believe it may be possible to open in Excel. When I opened Excel and click on Open, File Types, I tried Quattro Pro/DOS types but that (and any other trial I've had) returns a warning message ".wb3: file format is not valid". The file had been on a 3.5" floppy and maybe (hopefully not) the floppy is unreadable.

My OS is Windows XP and I have Excel 2003.

Thanks for your time

Greta

A:Solved: Converting .wb3 files to Excel

Welcome to the board.

Try this?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-converting-wb3-files-to-excel.916119/
Relevancy 52.03%

Hi everyone I really need help Converting SUMIFS 2003? Help to Excel with something that s driving me crazy I am working on a spending report where I have a list of bank transactions on the st worksheet and then subsequent worksheets are for each month of the year and other data on them I created this whole spending report at home on Excel however at work where I need it I work on Excel I need help converting the below SUMIFS formula to a valid Excel version SUMIFS Master Spending Trans Summary C C Master Spending Trans Summary A A Jan A Master Spending Trans Summary B B quot gt quot amp quot quot Master Spending Trans Summary B B quot lt quot amp quot quot Whenever I ve tried to convert it using SUMPRODUCT or SUM IF I keep getting either NAME or a NUM error Anyone who knows how to convert this formula please please please help me Hopefully someone can help convert this quickly as I need it soon Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Help Converting SUMIFS to Excel 2003?

It's an old postin but I found this link that will help you out

http://chandoo.org/forums/topic/converting-sumifs-to-excel-2003

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-converting-sumifs-to-excel-2003.1036722/
Relevancy 52.03%

I work at a Hospital and I have to convert employees Lotus 123 files to Excel 2000 or XP, but I do not have Lotus 123 on my computer and have no way of getting access to Lotus 123. Is there a way I can convert these files without having Lotus 123, if so, how?

A:Converting Lotus 123 to Excel 2000 or XP

mkarow,
Have you tried just opening them with Excel? wks is a file type that can be opened.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/converting-lotus-123-to-excel-2000-or-xp.92389/
Relevancy 52.03%

I need to indent Roman Numerals to the left from the period following the Roman Numeral This is the standard indentation found in written text if the indentation is done properly What I have done is use the quot space quot Roman Indenting In w/o Numerals CSS HTML htlm code as you will see below The problem is the letter quot I quot and the other wider letters do not justify I tried CSS but beyond the number CSS is not justifying the numerals to the left of the period after the numerals Does anyone have any ideas Code amp nbsp amp nbsp amp nbsp amp nbsp amp nbsp amp nbsp amp nbsp I Career lt a href quot I Name Indenting Roman Numerals In HTML w/o CSS EN quot gt GoTo lt a gt lt br gt amp nbsp amp nbsp amp nbsp amp nbsp amp nbsp amp nbsp amp nbsp II Career lt a href quot II Indenting Roman Numerals In HTML w/o CSS Kindred EN quot gt GoTo lt a gt lt br gt amp nbsp amp nbsp amp nbsp amp nbsp amp nbsp amp nbsp III Career lt a href quot III Career EN quot gt GoTo lt br gt lt a Indenting Roman Numerals In HTML w/o CSS gt amp nbsp amp nbsp amp nbsp amp nbsp amp nbsp amp nbsp IV Career lt a href quot III Career EN quot gt GoTo lt br gt lt a gt amp nbsp amp nbsp amp nbsp amp nbsp amp nbsp amp nbsp amp nbsp V Career lt a href quot III Career EN quot gt GoTo lt br gt lt a gt amp nbsp amp nbsp amp nbsp amp nbsp amp nbsp amp nbsp VI Career lt a href quot III Career EN quot gt GoTo lt br gt lt a gt amp nbsp amp nbsp amp nbsp amp nbsp amp nbsp VII Career lt a href quot III Career EN quot gt GoTo lt br gt lt a gt amp nbsp amp nbsp amp nbsp VIII Career lt a href quot III Career EN quot gt GoTo lt br gt lt a gt amp nbsp amp nbsp amp nbsp amp nbsp amp nbsp IX Career lt a href quot III Career EN quot gt GoTo lt br gt lt a gt amp nbsp amp nbsp amp nbsp amp nbsp amp nbsp amp nbsp amp nbsp X Career lt a href quot III Career EN quot gt GoTo lt br gt lt a gt amp nbsp amp nbsp amp nbsp amp nbsp amp nbsp amp nbsp XI Career lt a href quot III Career EN quot gt GoTo lt br gt lt a gt amp nbsp amp nbsp amp nbsp amp nbsp amp nbsp XII Career lt a href quot III Career EN quot gt GoTo lt br gt lt a gt amp nbsp amp nbsp amp nbsp amp nbsp XIII Career lt a href quot III Career EN quot gt GoTo lt br gt lt a gt amp nbsp amp nbsp amp nbsp XIV Career lt a href quot III Career EN quot gt GoTo lt br gt lt a gt amp nbsp amp nbsp amp nbsp amp nbsp XV Career lt a href quot III Career EN quot gt GoTo lt br gt lt a gt amp nbsp amp nbsp amp nbsp amp nbsp XVI Career lt a href quot III Career EN quot gt GoTo lt br gt lt a gt amp nbsp amp nbsp amp nbsp XVII Career lt a href quot III Career EN quot gt GoTo lt br gt lt a gt amp nbsp amp nbsp XVIII Career lt a href quot III Career EN quot gt GoTo lt br gt lt a gt amp nbsp amp nbsp amp nbsp amp nbsp XIX Career lt a href quot III Career EN quot gt GoTo lt br gt lt a gt amp nbsp amp nbsp amp nbsp amp nbsp amp nbsp XX Career lt a href quot III Career EN quot gt GoTo lt br gt lt a gt amp nbsp amp nbsp amp nbsp amp nbsp XXI Career lt a href quot III Career EN quot gt GoTo lt br gt lt a gt amp nbsp amp nbsp amp nbsp XXII Career lt a href quot III Career EN quot gt GoTo lt br gt lt a gt amp nbsp amp nbsp XXIII Career lt a href quot III Career EN quot gt GoTo lt br gt lt a gt amp nbsp amp nbsp XXIV Career lt a href quot III Career EN quot gt GoTo lt br gt lt a gt amp nbsp amp nbsp amp nbsp XXV Career lt a href quot III Career EN quot gt GoTo lt br gt lt a gt amp nbsp amp nbsp XXVI Career lt a href quot III Career EN quot gt GoTo lt br gt lt a gt amp nbsp XXVII Career lt a href quot III Career EN quot gt GoTo lt br gt lt a gt amp nbsp XXVIII Career lt a href quot III Career EN quot gt GoTo lt br gt lt a gt amp nbsp amp nbsp XXIX Career lt a href quot III Career EN quot gt GoTo lt br gt lt a gt amp nbsp amp nbsp amp nbsp XXX Career lt a href quot III Career EN quot gt GoTo lt br gt lt br gt Thank you in advance for any replies nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/indenting-roman-numerals-in-html-w-o-css.361275/
Relevancy 52.03%

If you have to use Adobe (or just want to), the latest version (which includes Sandboxing protection) is now available;http://www.adobe.com/products/reader.html

Interesting piece about why you should probably upgrade (if Foxit or the other alternatives don't appeal to you) here at Sans.org;http://isc.sans.edu/index.html

A:Adobe Reader 10 (or X if you're into Roman numerals!)

Thanks for the alert. It is a very useful security feature to have.

I'm now very annoyed with Adobe for sticking their McAfee scanner onto my machine without so much as a checkbox of permission, but at least that uninstalled cleanly.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/adobe-reader-10-or-x-if-youre-into-roman-numerals.963640/
Relevancy 52.03%

Running W98SE on a Compaq. WP is MS Works (not Word). I want to be able to print very large numbers or letters (no special characters) on standard 8-1/2X11 paper. Example would be perhaps 2 numbers, maybe 6-8 inches high so they can be read from a distance. Largest type size Works gives me is 72, which results in characters maybe 1" high. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

A:Want to print very large numerals/letters

Does your printer allow you to print banners?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/21481/want-to-print-very-large-numeralsletters/
Relevancy 51.17%

I am trying to convert Access To Excel. There are paragraph marks in the Access cells. This is a big problem because in Excel, a paragraph mark means a new row. Thus, when I paste into Excel I get extra rows with data I do not want. What can be done about this?

Relevancy 51.17%

I have received a list of data which is in the form of a table containing several columns. This list contains something in excess of 300 lines which I want to put into an Excel 2003 spreadsheet. Is there any way I can achieve this without the tedium of manual input of each line ?

http://www.vistax64.com/software/290874-converting-data-tabular-form-excel-s-s.html
Relevancy 51.17%

I have received a list of data which is in the form of a table containing several columns. This list contains something in excess of 300 lines which I want to put into an Excel 2003 spreadsheet. Is there any way I can achieve this without the tedium of manual input of each line ?

A:Converting Data in tabular form to Excel s/s ?

The following guide does not actually say which Office version they are using. However, hopefully it might provide the necessary information:
How to Convert a Microsoft Word Table Into an Excel Workbook | eHow.com

Please post back with the results, or if you require any further help.

http://www.sevenforums.com/microsoft-office/170586-converting-data-tabular-form-excel-s-s.html
Relevancy 51.17%

I have a lotus file and at the end of this month the company are moving over from lotus to excel so i need to convert this file, the file is easier enough to do it is the macros that i am having trouble with.

TIA

Relevancy 51.17%

I have a spreadsheet filled with text/numbers as inputs (such as l70, h40, lm50, etc. which all mean a specific number. So l70 = 72.5 for example). I would like to convert each of these inputs to their corresponding number automatically across the whole sheet, so I don't have to change them all manually one by one.

Is this possible?

Relevancy 51.17%

Once again, another query from the 'Wendal'......

Is there a quick and easy way to convert HH:MM time format to decimal and/or vice versa? This is needed as I run reports from a database in which data is entered as HH:MM (eg. 10.20 instead of 10.3333333.....)
If there is a way of adding up (correctly) differing amounts of time in HH.MM format, then that would be way easier, but currently, I do the following (which took me ages to work out!!)...

To convert Decimal time into HH:MM, I use this formula (remembering to change 'A1' to whichever cell you are pointing to)

=SUM((A1-TRUNC(A1))*0.6)+TRUNC(A1)

To convert HH:MM time into Decimal, I use this formula (remembering to change 'A1' to whichever cell you are pointing to)

=SUM(TRUNC(A1)+((A1-TRUNC(A1))/0.6))

--

Any suggestions (bearing in mind I have no knowledge of VB)?

Thanks

A:Excel 97: Converting HH:MM time format to Decimal

Format-Cells, Time.

Use the [h.mm]. This adds up hours, even after they are over 24.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/excel-97-converting-hh-mm-time-format-to-decimal.52632/
Relevancy 51.17%

Hiya

System Requirements

Excel 97 or higher

Operating System - Windows 95 & 98, NT 4.0 & 2000, Windows Me, Win XP

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?ReleaseID=43954&area=search&ordinal=9

Regards

eddie

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/converting-excel-97-data-to-html-sample-oct-10.99330/
Relevancy 51.17%

Hi I need to Problem .vbs script Excel macro converting to write a vbs script that will start Excel open a workbook make some changes to the specified worksheet and then close the workbook and Excel The vbs script will be called from inside a SAS program I have this much of it working I call the script from a SAS program with the line X quot T Programs Format WS vbs DestFile test xls DestPath T Results DestSheet Sales quot The vbs script successfully starts Excel opens the workbook T Results test xls and then saves it to another worksheet called T Results newname xls Here is the working code Read arguments passed from calling program Set Problem converting Excel macro to .vbs script colNamedArguments WScript Arguments Named strDestFile colNamedArguments Item quot DestFile quot strDestPath colNamedArguments Item Problem converting Excel macro to .vbs script quot DestPath quot strDestSheet colNamedArguments Item quot DestSheet quot Open Excel Set objXL CreateObject quot Excel Application quot Make Excel visible objXL Visible Problem converting Excel macro to .vbs script True Open workbook strPathFile strDestPath amp quot quot amp StrDestFile Set objWb objXL Workbooks Open strPathfile THE NEXT LINES COMMENTED OUT BECAUSE THEY DON T WORK Sheets strDestSheet Select Sheets quot Sales quot Select Save workbook to new file objXL ActiveWorkbook SaveAs quot T SASUsers barnesl Projects newname xls quot Close Excel objXL ActiveWorkbook Close objXL Application Quit msgbox quot script completed quot My problem is with the two lines that are commented out I want to select the sheet Sales and make some changes to it before saving But I can t even select it The error I get is Error Type mismatch Sheets Code A D Source Microsoft VBScript runtime error Any ideas Even though I ve already opened the workbook do I have to make it active before I can reference specific sheets Thanks Lisa nbsp

A:Problem converting Excel macro to .vbs script

Hello Lisa,

welcome to TSG Forums

You don't have to activate the workbook before referencing sheets. But you do must activate it before selecting sheets, because you can only select some part of the active workbook, active worksheet, etc. Also, in most cases you must use the workbook qualifier (objWb, in your case), which is a good practive anyway. Try this code:

Code:
objWb.Activate
objWb.Worksheets(strDestSheet).Select

Changing a cell should work without activation:

Code:
objWb.Worksheets(strDestSheet).Range("A1") = 1
This latter should work even with Excel being invisible.

JImmy

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problem-converting-excel-macro-to-vbs-script.985070/
Relevancy 51.17%

Dear All,

I need to convert a set of 12 excel sheets in a particular folder into txt files which need to save at other location(another folder).

Please help me out in this regard

Shiva

A:Macros Code for Converting set of Excel files to Txt

Try this: Convert An Excel Spreadsheet To A Tab Delimited Text File - How-To Geek

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f57/macros-code-for-converting-set-of-excel-files-to-txt-681267.html
Relevancy 50.74%

Hello,

I have tried seaching for this information, but I can't find it anywhere.
What I would like to know is, do function words in Excel convert automatically if sent to someone with Excel in another language.
For example:

I am user English version of Excel. In my spreadsheet I use "COUNT" funtion. If I then send this document to someone who has the French version of Excel does "COUNT" then become "COMPTE" (which is the French equivalent).

Thanks in advance

Relevancy 50.74%

Is there a way to convert *.xlsx format to *.xls format without having MS office 2010.
I use MS office 2003 at home but they have upgraded to office 2010 at work.
I forgot to convert a file at work for home so is there a program that will convert
an excel spread sheet to office 2003 format?

Thank you,

Relevancy 50.74%

Hi there I was pointed in the direction of this site in the hope that I may get some help with a small problem. I have put together a fairly basic website that records scores for an online gaming event that I am hosting. The points given out go towards 2 sets of scores (an individual score and a team score) all of this is working perfectly. However what I could now do with doing is converting these 2 sets of scores into 2 league tables enabling us to update the website easily.

I am told the thing I need is something called a pivot table, but I have no idea how to set one up. Is there anyone who can help out here please.

Thanks

Kev.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/excel-2007-converting-raw-data-into-a-league-table.894662/
Relevancy 50.74%

I use Microsoft Excel 2007. I have a block of information that is 13 rows long (with numerous blocks of information) and would like to convert each individual block of 13 rows to 13 columns (with each row being one of the blocks of information.) Cutting and pasting would take forever and I'm sure there's a faster way to do it. Help!

A:Excel Spreadsheet help converting blocks of information in a row to columns

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/excel-spreadsheet-help-converting-blocks-of-information-in-a-row-to-columns.932727/
Relevancy 50.31%

Hallo again How are you keeping I have an Excel spreadsheet with data in columns A thru J and no header row This will always be the code 2003 macro Excel converting comma delimiters same At present I perform a Find Excel 2003 macro code converting comma delimiters amp Replace on the data to convert any commas into tildes One of the columns sometimes contains address info and as such can contain commas that need to be retained I then save the file as a csv comma delimited file Then I drag the csv file into another program PSPad which allows me to Find amp Replace the commas created by saving as a csv file with little sqaures by pressing Alt I then convert any tildes back to commas and save the result as a text file which we can drop into our system to update a massive database I m wondering if I really need this stage of converting to a csv in the middle - I m sure the find amp replace stuff can be done in VB code and I can export directly from Excel into txt format I could do record a macro of myself doing it manually but I m not sure how to refer to the wee squares or export a txt version of the file - i e would I just save as a txt Text tab delimited file or something Any help with such code would be greatly appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 50.31%

Ive spent so much time on this, I want to pull my hair out.

I have a pdf file of addresses. I converted the pdf to an excel file (the one I uploaded).

My eventual goal is to convert the addresses into excel, then do a mail merge into word.

I found a tool (via this great site) called ASAP utilities that I can turn the rows into columns, thats easy.

But the problem is, the addresses aren't always the same length. Some labels are 4 rows, others are 6 rows.

Is there any way I can either automatically make the rows 6 each without doing it manually? Or does anyone have any type of suggestion?

Thanks so much for the help

A:Converting excel rows (addresses) to columns for mail merge

Firstly, can I assume that you have permission to use those addresses for your own mailing?

If so you could go back to the originator and ask them to give you a CSV file, or maybe see if the pdf file can be saved as a CSV file.

If so, it would be very easy to bring that into Excel and then convert the file from text to Columns, using the Data, Text to Columns feature.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/converting-excel-rows-addresses-to-columns-for-mail-merge.860585/
Relevancy 50.31%

Hi Here is my problem I m making a countdown timer in Excel The process is working fine but Solved: converting when error Excel: to date Overflow decimal my problem is when I call my Sub to set the time at which I want the countdown to end I receive the following error ------------------- Run-time error Solved: Excel: Overflow error when converting decimal to date Overflow ------------------- Here is my code Dim TimerEnd as Date Dim WorldPop as Integer This value is picked from my Excel worksheet TimerEnd Now - WorldPop Note WorldPop was tested and the value from the cell is really loaded because I was able to modify another cell value by assigning WorldPop value to it --------------------------------------------------------------------- Basically I store in TimerEnd the time at which I want the countdown to reach obtained by doing TimerEnd - Now The st part of the expression - WorldPop determines in how many seconds the timer should end The nd part of the expression divides the st expression to obtain the seconds in decimal value which is added to Now to get the end time What I don t understand is that when I type this expression in a cell of my worksheet that have been formated as date NOW - Note is just a random number which I tested the result It can be any number ranging from to It gives me a valid time in the cell What am I doing wrong so that in the code of my subroutine it gives me Overflow Is there a work around to this I m working on Excel on Windows XP SP Thank you Yanick nbsp

A:Solved: Excel: Overflow error when converting decimal to date

I found the problem.

The following expression was too long:
TimerEnd = Now() + ((1500 - (3 * WorldPop / 8)) / (60 * 60 * 24))

I simplified it to:
TimerEnd = Now() + ((1500 - (3 * WorldPop / 8)) / 86400)

and it resolved my problem.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-excel-overflow-error-when-converting-decimal-to-date.860513/
Relevancy 49.45%

I am reposting this question I was unable to get back to it in a timely manner to provide the data so here is my question again with supporting files I have an access application that produces from Access in Problem when data Excel' using database 'Analyze converting char a report that can be downloaded into excel using the option on the toolbar to Analyze in Excel I am having a Problem converting char data when using 'Analyze in Excel' from Access database problem with one of the columns which is getting the data converted to a negative number in some cases or some other type of char data I assume it s because the data some of the data is all numeric so it assumes a numeric field but then it runs into char data and is making some kind of data conversion I am trying to see if anyone knows how I can fix this The data is automatically being loaded into access from a teradata relational table and it is defined as char in the table and that s what it should be in excel It is also defined as text data in the access database which is correct But when loading it into excel from access it is not always correct I am attaching a sample of data The file beginning with database is what my query returns The file beginning with rpt is what the report returns and then is put into excel using Analyze it in Excel The data that gets converted incorrectly is in a column called MPN Look for a value of in the column called CPN This is the CPN that has the incorrect value in the file beginning with rpt I included the entire file because I wonder if it has to do with excel somehow looking at the first X number of records and determining a field type Not sure I can attach a sample of the access application if that will help more I am displaying a report format from a from which is calling a report Then I select select the option to Analyze it in Excel This is where I am having the problem Thanks so much and thanks to all those who answered my previous post but I was not able to get sample data out there in a timely manner nbsp

A:Problem converting char data when using 'Analyze in Excel' from Access database

http://forums.techguy.org/business-applications/708011-option-analyze-file-into-excel.html

Please reply to your existing thread where you are already receiving help.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problem-converting-char-data-when-using-analyze-in-excel-from-access-database.728560/
Relevancy 49.02%

I have developed a report in access and when I chose the option to analyze the report in excel it converts a field that is defined as text in access incorrectly It takes a value for example OA - and converrts to - these are the exact values just a sample This happens sporadically because there are multiple values of char numeric data with dashes and not all of them are converted incorrectly The report is based on a query which pulls from a database The database is a link to a Teradata table but a make table query is used to pull the data from Teradata to an access database which is what the report uses The field is defined as text in the access database and it is correct on the database It is also correct on the report It is only incorrect when I use the option to analyze it in excel to put it into access Option file incorrectl from a into excel' field 'analyze converting char is to excel format Can someone help me correct this Thank you nbsp

A:Option to 'analyze file into excel' from access is converting a char field incorrectl

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/option-to-analyze-file-into-excel-from-access-is-converting-a-char-field-incorrectl.708011/
Relevancy 49.02%

I have a field that reads 2009-12-30-15.42.22.81298 as text. i want to make in be a date of 12/30/2009 15:42:23 and ignore the milliseconds. Is this possible?

Thanks
Ted

A:Converting complex date text fields into date or numbers

Ted, what software are you talking about?
Are there always 8 values in the date part?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/converting-complex-date-text-fields-into-date-or-numbers.938478/
Relevancy 47.3%

hi,

i would like to set a formula in J2 to match e2 text with A:E where is range of data and E2 is a part of text from A:E
anybody can help me.

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/threads/excel-text-find.4068286/
Relevancy 47.3%

Hi,

I have to export a large database (6000 records) from access to excel. I can do it and most of the records are OK but for some there is an automatic response "The text string you entered is too long. Reduce the # of characters used or cancel the entry."

Can I change how excel behaves by doing some settings change before exporting from access to excel?

thanks, Frank

A:excel text limit

Hi Frank,

For BLOBs (Binary large objects and MEMO fields) set the cell's format to General in Excel, if it's set to Text then you run into the text length limit which is something like 255 characters

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/excel-text-limit.1011566/
Relevancy 47.3%

I am trying to create a spreadsheet where I can click on a cell or link and have a seperate document open into a text box or something. How can I do this, or can I do this?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/display-in-text-box-in-excel.321903/
Relevancy 47.3%

I am using MS Excel 2002. I would like to insert blinking text into a cell. Can this be done and if so, can someone tell me how or tell me where I can get the info?

Thanks for all your help.

A:MS Excel-Blinking Text

closing duplicate

continue here... http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?t=272598

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ms-excel-blinking-text.272449/
Relevancy 47.3%

Hi,

I'm using the following

=CONCATENATE("No Install ",IF(ISNA(O71),"NA",O71)," : ",MID((O71/(O71+N71)*100),1,4),"%")

Is there anyway to colour the output of "MID((O71/(O71+N71)*100),1,4),"%"" with a different colour than the rest of the statement.

Regards,

Robin

A:Help with colouring text in Excel

You can't format part of the result of a formula directly in Excel versions up to 2000, & I very much doubt you can do it in subsequent versions.

You could work around it with VBA code, but it would be pretty messy. Example:

Say you have values in A1:A3 and you want A4 to display "Average: x", where x is the average of A1:A3. But you want "Average:" to be bold and red if x < 6.

1. Use the formula =AVERAGE(A1:A3) in A5. Hide row 5.

2. Paste this code into the VBA module for the worksheet (accessed by rightclicking the sheet tab & selecting "View Code" from the pop-up menu).

Private Sub Worksheet_Calculate()
On Error GoTo 100
Range("A4") = "Average: " & Format(Range("A5").Value, "0.00")
If Range("A5") < 6 Then
Range("A4").Characters(Start:=1, Length:=8).Font.FontStyle = "Bold"
Range("A4").Characters(Start:=1, Length:=8).Font.ColorIndex = 3
Else
Range("A4").Font.FontStyle = "Normal"
Range("A4").Font.ColorIndex = 1
End If
100:
Exit Sub
End Sub

3. Enter 3 in A1. A1:A3 average = 3, A4 displays "Average: 3.00".

4. Enter 6 in A2. A1:A3 average = 4.5, A4 displays "Average: 4.50".

5. Enter 9 in A3. A1:A3 average = 6, A4 displays "Average: 6.00". (no bold or red).

The attached workbook contains this example. HTH.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-with-colouring-text-in-excel.587124/
Relevancy 47.3%

A year ago my wife and I started an excel spreadsheet with our finances It was a VERY BASIC spreadsheet Each month we d update it I know there are other programs out there that do it but I love excel until it turned on me Sometimes I get a dialogue box asking if I want to try to solve the Tab-delimited text Excel??? in quot delimited text problem quot but it doesn t do ANYTHING to resolve it Now I get this when I load the file it s nothing but garbage hbin S N E O X Y g gC X P EoOx amp UTN - DATACorp SGC gt w m J A b F D P h i H U US U UT U Tab-delimited text in Excel??? Salt Lake City U The USERTRUST Network U http www usertrust com U UTN - DATACorp SGC Z Z Tab-delimited text in Excel??? U US U UT U Salt Lake City U The USERTRUST Network U http www usertrust com U UTN - DATACorp SGC quot H X nU F z e G p n VB v O c SH L Yh p S P Vo J D MN GnIJ g l quot N T gt G j q B F r Vm x a L i p w U U U S N E O U http crl usertrust com UTN-DATACorpSGC crl U H B H email protected P A gt Y QIZ T E h i N P p q r gt P amp Z amp u P amp m EG k v lt GN bs R amp I t quot zL r Ek i VL z qi v M lt W U x y Er - b d k G gt h R O lt Thawte Personal Basic CA - q Kx A H U ZA U Western Cape U Cape Town U Thawte Consulting amp U Certification Services Division U Thawte Personal Basic CA amp H email protected Z Z U ZA U Western Cape U Cape Town U Thawte Consulting amp U Certification Services Division U Thawte Personal Basic CA amp H nbsp

A:Tab-delimited text in Excel???

The contents of that file do not suggest its anything to do with your budget spreadsheet anymore.

I would suggest that the file has become corrupted and cross-linked with a temporary internet explorer file or similar.

Look at the URL's littering the file (http://www.....), should they be in your file at all?

This being the case, your file may be unrecoverable.
As you have been using it for so long, you will have made backups right??
Storage on the Hard Disk only should be considered temporary, I have lost 3 HDD in 3 years. Backup to CD for maximum reliability.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/tab-delimited-text-in-excel.158193/
Relevancy 47.3%

Hello This text Excel row Trying expanded in put to is my first post and I m imagining the answer is simple However I ve been searching and seem unable to find it I have a laptop Gateway and am running Windows xp I have excel and am trying to make a chart to keep track of data When I click on the line below the row number at the far left of the chart and drag downward I am Trying to put text in expanded Excel row able to increase the vertical dimension - but my difficulty is that when I try to use that extra space for more text I am only able to use one line at the bottom of the larger cell which corresponds to where the number sits Is there a way to fill more text in a cell like that and how is it done Ideally is there a way for the row number to sit at the top of the cell box Sorry for such an elementary question but all the tutorials I ve looked at don t seem to address it or perhaps I don t know how to pose the question properly thanks so very much for your help nbsp

Relevancy 47.3%

I have attached a spreadsheet that I am planning on saving as a .csv file and then using that data to create new users in my domain. What I'm trying to figure out is how to take the information in the A column, prefix that with \\avalon\ and then append a $ on the end of it. Right now cell A3 holds the username 17adcockc so I need cell F3 to hold the data \\avalon\17adcockc$

Hopefully someone can understand this and help.

A:Using excel forumlas with text

Cells wern't formatted correctly in the first one. Here is the correct worksheet.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/using-excel-forumlas-with-text.245263/
Relevancy 47.3%

Driving me crazy. I copied a list of domains from my server control panel with domain names, disk space usage, and bandwidth usage. I want to graph the usage.

Excell insists that the numeric data are text. Usage figures of, say, 109 or 8.42 are text and can't be graphed. So, I need to change them to Number format.

Original cells are not locked, worksheet is not protected, cell format is changed to Number. It's still text.

Copy and paste to a cell where, if I type 109, it's number; paste from the original 109, it's text. Paste special=>Values or Values and number formats - it's text

I can't make them change to Number!! Any ideas?

Sam

Relevancy 47.3%

I have saved an Excel 'Fixtures Grid' for a pool league as a .htm web page, with the team names horizontal down the left for home games- and the teams' names vertically across the top for away games.

When I view the page in Excel for editing everything is fine.
When I view it as a web page , however, the vertical text flips to horizontal and won't fit in the slot.

Any ideas gurus?

Relevancy 47.3%

I am trying to create a spreadsheet where I can click on a cell or link and have a seperate document open into a text box or something. How can I do this, or can I do this?

Relevancy 47.3%

I have HTML in a cell. There's something like this in the cell:

Code:
<a href="http://www.google.com">Google</a>
I want to get the web address from that cell and put it into another cell (I assume I use a formula). Any idea?

It is also possible the cell may contain multiple URL lines like that, and I would like for each extra URL for it to be put in a new cell.