Windows Support Forum

Microsoft Works Files Replicating

Q: Microsoft Works Files Replicating

I was trying to help a friend with her new computer. She had been saving all documents typed in Works under My Documents since it was the default. I set up folders and began to move the documents and the files continued to replicate themselves under My Documents.

Each time a file was selected whether by right clicking, dragging and dropping, etc. a new file was added of the same thing. Renamed itseld as Copy 1, Copy 2, etc

Any ideas?

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Microsoft Works Files Replicating

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Microsoft Works Files Replicating

I helped someone with this EXACT same problem.

1. Do NOT hold the Ctrl key while dragging. Ctrl+Drag = copy

2. Perhaps the Ctrl key is stuck down on your keyboard. Try another keyboard.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/microsoft-works-files-replicating.206432/
Relevancy 24.08%

I recently bought a Windows DVD to put it on the new PC I'm building for my mom. That PC has troubles with the DVD drive itself (stupid motherboard doesn't have IDE..), so I figured I'd set up a bootable USB to install Windows before the adapter arrives. Problem is, the installation DVD isn't playing on my drive (I tried another DVD with a movie on it before, so I don't think its my drive). I brought it to a PC shop and for them it worked fine, even though its quite scratched on the back (I guess the person selling those DVDs doesn't know how to ship them properly) I didn't wanna pay 20 bucks for them copying the DVD, even though I'll probably end up having to do that.

Any ideas what the problem is, or what I can do? I'm not sure if the DVD will work in my moms drive either..

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dvd-works-with-other-drives-but-not-mine-while-other-dvds-work.216661/
Relevancy 16.77%

I have a group of computers in a small office without a server that are connected and share via homegroup. When I added a new laptop with win 8.1 to the homegroup, I couldn't ever access the shared printer which is attached to the win 7 desktop. I deleted and recreated the homegroup multiple times from different computers and nothing seemed to change the situation. I deleted the homegroup completely and just tried to share the printer separately connecting via computer share name and still not good. Now if the win 8.1 computer can recognize the printer, none of the win 7 computers can print to it and vice versa. I need them all to be able to share the printer at the same time and share 2 folders between all of them. How can I accomplish this besides down grading the 8.1 to win 7 and installing win 7 on it. Thanks for the assistance

A:Sharing printer and files between win 7 and win 8.1 computers

If the printer has Ethernet support, connect it to the router and then use Add Printer as a Network printer on every PC (ie not directly connected to any PC) and at least that will solve one issue. Remember to get the correct print driver for each system; Win/7 vs Win/8.

I'll surf for the sharing issue and post back ...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sharing-printer-and-files-between-win-7-and-win-8-1-computers.216549/
Relevancy 24.08%

Hey guys,

I have a Sony Vaio VPCEH15EN laptop & the OS is Windows 7 home basic. I have a wifi router which is of TPLINK.

The wifi won't connect to my laptop but it works fine on my mobile..it would only start working when I use the ethernet cable. I never had this problem before. I have tried everything ..I also tried the winsockfix.bat but all my efforts have gone in vain..I just don't know if the wifi router is faulty or the modem of my ISP...Please help me solve this problem.

Best Regards,
Om

A:Wifi on my laptop won't work but works when I use the ethernet cable

I have solved the problem by myself. To do this, first you have to disconnect your Ethernet cable from your laptop and follow the steps: Start>Control Panel>Network and Sharing Center>Manage Wireless Networks and remove all wireless connections by right click on it and select Remove network from the drop down menu. After doing this, close the windows and scan for the Wi-Fi networks. Click on the available network and select connect. After a while, you will be asked to give a password for your Wi-Fi connection. Type the password and click on connect button. And now will be connected to your Wi-Fi network via wireless.

May be it will help you.
Regards
MD. MAHMUDUL HASAN

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wifi-on-my-laptop-wont-work-but-works-when-i-use-the-ethernet-cable.200754/
Relevancy 24.08%

Hi! I don't know much about this place but there's a problem with my laptop and I don't know how to solve it. My laptop won't connect to the wifi anymore but it works perfectly fine with the ethernet cable. I appreciate it very much if you tech geniuses could help me out. THANK YOU!

A:My WiFi on my laptop won't work but works with Ethernet cable

Are there any yellow (!) in the device manager?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-wifi-on-my-laptop-wont-work-but-works-with-ethernet-cable.206652/
Relevancy 16.77%

Hi every one
I need your help gays
I saved some files in my USB but when I explore my USB the files are not appear
it shows that usb is empty
I do not know what to do
thanks

A:USB drive doesn't show my files

Have you tried the same USB on a different pc? If not, do so.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/usb-drive-doesnt-show-my-files.187106/
Relevancy 16.77%

Hi fellow techspotters,

odd thing has happened to my friend, whos pc I have handbuilt. Every time he starts downloading lets say 1gb or bigger file his RAM starts to fill up. No processes are visible to be the cause. Cpu usage stays on normal level, but the ram just keeps on filling. Until it is throttled by capping on 8gb and he is forced to pause the download and reboot the machine, and the RAM is cleaned.

I posted this under networking, because I doubt that it is a hardware related problem.
The numbers go some like this. 8gb of RAM = 20gb of download -> cap -> restart -> ram clear -> restore download. And the RAM gets used oddly like its ment to behave like this. Does it store something on the way?

It isnt actually a problem, my friend can cope with it. But I as a builder of the PC would really like to solve this. I have never encountered such memory behavior with downloads before.

Screencaps of the situation available when I get home from work.

cheers
m

A:RAM capping while downloading large files

Does the machine have an anti-virus installed? And if so, does memory usage have the same effect with or without active scanning?

When monitoring Task Manager, which process is using the memory allotment that appears to be accumulating? Killing the process should clear memory usage by that process.

Forgive me as I beat around the bush, not really knowing what to say.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ram-capping-while-downloading-large-files.212335/
Relevancy 20.21%

Microsoft showed off a whole range of new PCs and devices running Windows 10 at Computex 2015, but one that really caught the eye is the Quanta Compute Plug, an entire PC integrated into a power plug the size of...

Read more

A:Microsoft shows off PC integrated into power plug

They may be handy to a lot and even have very reasonable prices but I can't imagine myself ever wanting any of these.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/microsoft-shows-off-pc-integrated-into-power-plug.213681/
Relevancy 16.77%

My ext.HDD don't show content of one of folders. It's not hidden! It start playing movies inserted in it when I try to play this folder with VLC player, but that is all what I'm able to do with it. I tried to check disk for errors bot none was found, have anyone idea what could be wrong? Thanks in advance Michal

A:Files in one folder on Ext.HDD don't show - not hidden

And we should play 20 questions as to WHICH directory??

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/files-in-one-folder-on-ext-hdd-dont-show-not-hidden.212643/
Relevancy 24.51%

I have no clue if I'm posting this in the correct place but here it goes my Sell insperion laptop worked just fine as of a couple of days ago. We ended up connecting it to the Ethernet cord and it works. We've tried restarting it numerous times and it doesn't recognize any networks. Any suggestions?

A:Wi-Fi stopped working now only works wired

Have you checked under your Device Manager to see if the WiFi was disabled for some reason? Does your Dell have a physical WiFi button, and is it turned on? You could also go to the Dell website and download the WiFi device drivers for your specific laptop. Un-install the WiFi drivers, reboot and then re-install them.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wi-fi-stopped-working-now-only-works-wired.212471/
Relevancy 20.21%

Much of the lure surrounding Microsoft's long-rumored Surface Mini was the notion that it'd come in at a lower price point compared to its full-sized brother. That project was ultimately scrapped and instead, we got the Surface Pro 3 -...

Read more

A:Microsoft's new Atom-powered Surface 3 starts at $499

This was sounding so promising then I got to 2GB RAM....

Have a look at your PC now - if you are running next to nothing over standard windows services, then you are probably somewhere around 1.2GB. Add an email client, some virus software a few Chrome Tabs and you will already be swapping away to page file as the OS starts to worry about memory and things will start to grind. How much would 2 more MB cost? Shame as otherwise it sounds quite a capable little machine.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/microsofts-new-atom-powered-surface-3-starts-at-499.210900/
Relevancy 24.51%

Dell 1764 New Laptop
Need more details please ask...

Looking for advice, thanks

A:Laptop only works on AC when battery is removed

Sounds like the battery is possibly faulty. Have you tried removing it, then locking it back into position?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-only-works-on-ac-when-battery-is-removed.153344/
Relevancy 23.65%

My PC with windows 7 is the only computer with issues in the house. Ethernet works perfectly but wifi doesn't even when I don't have the ethernet hooked up. The wifi says it is connected but browsers, steam, and Itunes don't work. I have Bitdefender A/V and already tried uninstalling it, no change. I also uninstalled steam and Itunes with still no change. I even uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers for the wireless adapter. I tried looking and I don't recall downloading or installing anything around the time the problem started. Before I try replacing the adapter itself, I was hoping for help here since I saw a very similar problem in another thread.

A:Internet connects but doesnt work on wifi, ethernet works fine

Bump
If there is any more info I can give to help you help me, please let me know.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/internet-connects-but-doesnt-work-on-wifi-ethernet-works-fine.199827/
Relevancy 24.94%

Over multiple devices on the network wifi works including this laptop I m running on However any time I try to use ethernet including on this laptop there is no internet connection The error when troubleshooting is Wi-Fi Works, Ethernet Doesn't Dns server not responding While on ethernet connection Wi-Fi Works, Ethernet Doesn't I can access the networked printer but cannot access the default gateway so connection is going from room to the modem and through I have tried restarting the wifi lan modem which then connects to another router down stairs which I haven t restarted my dad won t let me I have tried flushing dns uninstalling and re installing the adapter starting in safe mode with networking This is my ipconfig all while on wifi Windows IP Configuration Host Name Rob-Laptop Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List BigPond Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter Physical Address B - - - - - B DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi Connection-specific DNS Suffix BigPond Description Mediatek MT E bgn Wi-Fi Adapter Physical Address B - - - - - DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe c d f d a Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Wednesday December PM Lease Expires Friday December PM Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - B- - D-A - -A - - -C - DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Ethernet Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix BigPond Description Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Physical Address -A - - -C - DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IPv Address d d e fbb a Preferred Link-local IPv Address fe e fbb a Preferred Default Gateway DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - B- - D-A - -A - - -C - NetBIOS over Tcpip Disabled Tunnel adapter isatap BigPond Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix BigPond Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes And here it is on Ethernet Windows IP Configuration Host Name Rob-Laptop Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List BigPond Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter Physical Address B - - - - - B DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix BigPond Description Mediatek MT E bgn Wi-Fi Adapter Physical Address B - - - - - DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Ethernet adapter Ethernet Connection-specific DNS Suffix BigPond Description Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Physical Address -A - - -C - DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe b c dc Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Thursday December PM Lease Expires Friday December PM Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - B- - D-A - -A - - -C - DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap BigPond Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix BigPond Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Any help you could give would be mu... Read more

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wi-fi-works-ethernet-doesnt.207715/
Relevancy 21.5%

Please help.. Can't connect to the wifi but using ethernet is working fine.. My phone could connect to the same wifi though
tried to backread some of the threads but didn't work on my laptop

A:Cannot "fully" connect to wifi but works fine on ethernet

Additional info. I am using Atheros AR5006EXS Wireless Network Adapter
and I did deleted the driver and it installed again automatically, but sadly it still doesn't work

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cannot-fully-connect-to-wifi-but-works-fine-on-ethernet.206650/
Relevancy 21.5%

I'm a new Plusnet customer and I cannot connect to the internet using wifi I just get a page saying the broadband is down. So I tried using an ethernet cable and after manually setting this up I can use the internet. I accidentally disconnected the cable yesterday but the internet didn't fault, it's now working wirelessly. I can connect to the wifi using my mobile and iPad but I cannot connect to the internet. A new router has been sent and the problem still persists, a bt engineer has also visited but cannot find a solution.

Can anybody please help me?

A:I can't connect to wifi but connect with an Ethernet cable works, even when it isn't plugged in

It gets confusing as to which device is being used so as a guideline
disable one or the other (wifi vs wired) and don't allow both to be active at the same time. Technically, which ever device gets an IP address from your router will become the gateway to your ISP - - ignoring the connectivity of the second device to access your router.

With a laptop, we just toggle the keyboard to enable/disable wifi and the wired is easy - - just pull the cable out.

create a desktop shortcut to \windows\system32\devmgmt.msc
to control the devices (needs admin access)
expand [+] network adapters and you'll see the list
mine are

Dell Wireless 1502 ....
Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
Just right-click->disable and you can always right-click->enable

The png posted shows both are enabled and the wired has the gateway.
If the cable is disconnected, this is quite impossible.

SO, first control which device is to be used and then make the connection.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-cant-connect-to-wifi-but-connect-with-an-ethernet-cable-works-even-when-it-isnt-plugged-in.204891/
Relevancy 24.08%

I have a Rosewill RC-215 PCI SATA card with an Asus SATA DVD/CD Rom drive hooked up to one of the SATA ports. When I boot up, the motherboard (Asus P4PE) bios doesn't recognize my DVD drive(Asus DRW-24B1ST) so I can't boot up from a repair CD/DVD disk. But once I'm in Win2000, the DVD drive (Asus DRW-24B1ST) is recognized and usable. And it shows up in My Computer, and Device Manager.

I need some advice so I can figure out how to be able to boot up from a DVD/CD when I need to.

A:DVD/CD ROM not recognized by bios, but works after Win2000 starts

You may have to spend a few bucks and get a PATA/IDE DVD drive. You have drivers for the SATA card loaded after 2000 boots, so that is why it works.

Have a look through your BIOS and see if there is any option that supports your SATA card. I remember this back on the A7V boards with the Promise ATA 100 controller vs the 33/66 that was 'included' with the motherboard.

I assume you have looked for that option in the BIOS. If you have, and it doesn't exist, I think you will have to pick up a non SATA drive.

Also, I think its pretty cool that someone is still running 2k.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dvd-cd-rom-not-recognized-by-bios-but-works-after-win2000-starts.204023/
Relevancy 16.34%

Good day to all,

This may or may not be possible, but let me try and explain. I was wondering if it were possible for a mirrored copy of a file to exist. Meaning every time I modified the file or file (s), its corresponding mirrored copy would change too.

I've been saving a lot of things to my Google Drive recently. I was wondering if it were possible for these files to have a mirrored copy saved to another location on my Hard Drive as well.

New files are being added to the Google Drive on a daily basis, so I doubt there would be a way to set this mirror to new files automatically. And this of course, is assuming that this is possible at all. Let me know if you would like me to elaborate or if this can or can't be done at your convenience.

Thanks,

Speck

A:Automatic mirror or copy of files for backup purposes

If you require

update foo.txt => mirror:foo.txt
for each and every alteration of foo.txt in real time, then basically you're asking for a RAID-1x implementation.

If you can tolerate a nightly sync of *modified files*, then you might look at

allway sync.
You map a local directory onto a remote directory and run the sync one-way to the remote.

Now on a schedule (or manual invocation) only the mods in the local migrate onto the remote.

Frankly, this is my backup strategy for my laptop.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/automatic-mirror-or-copy-of-files-for-backup-purposes.202960/
Relevancy 36.55%

Hi all

I have got a new desktop PC, which works fine with Ethernet but I am not able to connect through wireless.When I tried to connect to the broadband, it says error connecting to the Broadband connection
Error 651: The modem (or other connecting device) has reported error. However, same comnnection works very well with my vista home premium Dell Laptop.

Thanks in advance
Pxray

A:HP Pavillion PC with windows 8 works ethernet works well but not able to connect through wireless

How to reset TCP/IP by using the NetShell utility

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-pavillion-pc-with-windows-8-works-ethernet-works-well-but-not-able-to-connect-through-wireless.202705/
Relevancy 24.94%

Hi, I think I have the same problem with this person right here, and I'm saying ''I think'' because my english are not so good..

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/microphone-mirroring-my-speakers.181670/

A:Microphone works as speaker?

Someone help meeeeeeee?!!!?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/microphone-works-as-speaker.201636/
Relevancy 24.51%

I hope this is the right section to ask this question in. I'm a big newbie.
I'm having an issue that I have no clue how to solve. There is a specific webpage that I try to view at home with my laptop, and it never loads on Chrome and Firefox, but does on Explorer. But when I take the same laptop to work or school, it does load that website on all browsers. I also have a desktop that stays home, and has the same problem. Its so strange. I don't know if it's a network thing, or an facebook app thing.

I've tried re-installing Chrome, deleting all cookies and caches, disabling all extensions or plugins, and updating Flash and Java. Any ideas?

Mod Note: Facebook game link removed, you are too new to be trusted fully. Problem m ay be solvable without the exact game anyway.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/website-works-at-work-not-home.201025/
Relevancy 25.37%

I have a laptop running Windows 7 32-bit and can RDP into my work computer with no issues. I just built a new desktop with Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. With my new desktop I can not get into my work PC. We have a SonicWall VPN connection. I can log into the VPN and can ping my work PC with my desktop. I was able to connect once but only rendered half my screen then disconnected. Every time I try to connect it times out. My work PC is running Windows XP Pro 32-bit. All Windows firewalls are turned off.

I built the desktop so I could stop using the laptop to remote into work. I'm still stuck having to use the laptop. Please help!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/rdp-works-from-one-pc-but-not-another.200134/
Relevancy 24.94%

I've been working on computers for quite some time, but this has me completely perplexed. Just purchased a new case (NZXT Guardian), new EVGA 650TI vid card, 4 gigs of Corsair PC 6400 (Dual Channel), have two hard drives (500 gig Seagate w/Vista loaded/350 gig WD Caviar w/XP loaded), new 750 watt Corsair gaming psu, new Asus M2N32 SLI Deluxe board (wireless edition) and two new DVD-R/DVD-RW drives (HP drives) and AMD Athlon 6000 cpu. When I hit the start button, everything fires up for about 5-6 secs, and the system shuts off. I've tested the psu and it's fine. The memory works in another computer, and so do the h/d's and optical drives. I keep thinking there's something wrong with the board or chip. I've torn this build down and rebuilt so many times in the past three days my heads spinning. Thought I'd get some fresh perspective on this thing.

A:Works for 5-6 secs. then shuts off

Disconnect all drives, graphic card, and all but one memory module to see, if the system has the same symptoms. If the system seems to have the same symptoms, you can rule out those components as being a possible culprit.

The 750W PSU is a bit much for a 650Ti. I take it you were giving head-room for possible future SLI with larger graphics cards.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/works-for-5-6-secs-then-shuts-off.199802/
Relevancy 17.2%

Just got my ssd yesterday and installed Windows 7 on it. I wasn't sure what files I should have on the ssd and which one I should have on hdd for storage. I got a gaming rig if that helps so I want games from steam example to go ssd. I also don't know how to transfer folders from the ssd to hdd I don't wanna mess up installations.

A:What files should go to SSD and what goes to HDD?

At 4G+ a game you wouldn't be able to install many games before filling up a small SSD. I hope you purchased a large SSD.

You can't just move folders to move applications. If you want them on HDD, you will need to install them to HDD. You do this by selecting the HDD during installation as a destination. If you simply move the folder, you will break registry entries and links all through the system.

I'm the opposite as I've installed all my applications to SSD, except for Virtual Machines and Email. All my games are installed to HDD.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-files-should-go-to-ssd-and-what-goes-to-hdd.199597/
Relevancy 20.21%

Previously used this phone with Zune on my now-deceased PC with Windows XP (although even that took a while to establish). Now have an HP laptop with Windows 7 but Zune consistently refuses to recognize it and just comes up with the usual 'disconnect, turn off and reconnect'. I have downloaded both Microsoft Fixes and neither of them find anything wrong; I have uninstalled/reinstalled countless times; I have been into my certificates and made changes and/or deletions - and I m now simply running out of options ...and patience if I'm honest.

Almost all the internet advice suggests the fix is easy. Would the fact I've worked on this for over a month now suggest I am a one-off?!!!

A Google search revealed that there are many people who have had the same problem still unresolved after two years or so - just as often with other Windows Phones rather than Nokia. Can anyone help please?

A:Microsoft Zune will not recognize my Nokia Lumia 800...

Any luck with this?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/microsoft-zune-will-not-recognize-my-nokia-lumia-800.186486/
Relevancy 16.77%

I deleted a folder with about 30 gigs of stuff in it from my 500 gig external hard drive about a week ago. I haven't done anything else with the drive since then. The folder was too large for the recycle bin so windows just automatically deleted it. I've tried recovering the files with Recuva and Puran File Recovery, but neither of them have been able to locate the files. Does this mean I will not be able to get them back, or is there something else I can try?

A:Recover files from external drive

To recover data you can install Pandora Recovery in windows or use PhotoRec in Linux.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/recover-files-from-external-drive.199187/
Relevancy 24.51%

My phone( T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy SII ) always losing connection maybe because I am living at the edge of the signal coverage. Battery get eaten very fast because of weak signal strength. It is still manage to last over one day with my mpj extended battery though, I have to reboot frequently just to get connected. How can I boost the signal enough for it to work consistently? Please help and thank you millions in advanced.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/signal-not-enough-for-my-phone-works-consistently.199123/
Relevancy 17.2%

I do not have an internet connection on the other PC so sharing files wouldn't work....So I need to know how to transfer files using LAN cable.....there are a lot of videos on youtube on how to transfer files form windows 7 to windows 7 but I have windows xp (on both PC) Or maybe transfer it in another way that excludes having internet connection on both PC-s..

A:How to transfer files from XP to XP

You could do it with a 'crossover' cable. It is like an ethernet cable, but the wires on either end aren't identical.

But.. if you don't have one of those, buying one would be just as expensive as buying a USB flash drive of 4-32 gigs in size depending on where you would buy the crossover cable.

So, IMO, using a flash drive of suitable size (larger than the largest single file you will transfer) and using multiple 'trips' as necessary is the easiest way.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-transfer-files-from-xp-to-xp.198876/
Relevancy 17.2%

Hello mates,

I have a corrupted micro SD card. With huge trying I could to recover it's data using **recuva** tool, but now my files are corrupted also. They are video file with some famous extensions such as 3gp, mp4, flv, wmv, avi. My video file players are *VLC* and *Media player classic*. The *media player classic* says, "can not render the file" and *VLC* doesn't show anything.

Is there a way to repair these video files?

Thanks.

A:How to repair video files?

Don't think so. With the corrupted micro SD, there's no way to edit them to make them valid again - - sure hope you have another copy elsewhere (aka backups?)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-repair-video-files.198669/
Relevancy 21.07%

I have a champion ups it has suddenly stopped working. The ups turns on but I am unable to turn on my pc but when I turn the outlet switch off I am able turn on the PC in backup mode. I was able to boot and shut down the PC. The ups works in backup mode but somehow refuses to supply power when in online mode. Please help.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ups-works-in-backup-mode-but-not-in-online-mode.197973/
Relevancy 24.51%

I ve been struggling for a week now trying to get my wireless internet working on my quot repaired quot Acer computer But till this date I still haven t made any progress At all I feel my sanity slipping recieved no after Wireless HDD new longer having works away from me My computer is able to find all the previous connections I m familiar with but Wireless no longer works after having recieved new HDD I m just not able to connect I Wireless no longer works after having recieved new HDD even dare to say the connections are pretty strong so I doubt it it s the antenna s But really I wouldn t know I ve tried pretty much every quot solution quot I could find on the internet while still waiting for the Acer customer service to respond and for someone to say anything useful at the Acer forums but it s all taking a very long time I recon a specific problem needs a specific solution which is why nothing worked so I m hoping I ll find a clever and patient person out here who would like to help me with this mess Computer It concerns an Acer Aspire X running Windows Repair replaced HDD Details Approximately weeks ago I had to send my computer away to the Acer repair team because of a defective HDD On oktober th I was in possession of my computer again with the HDD replaced and since day one I haven t been able to connect through WiFi I have two laptops sitting here and they manage to connect just fine so I am sure to say I find this very confusing and upsetting Before my computer was taken away everything worked just fine Nothing changed about the router connection key during that time so I m having trouble determining the cause of the issue Today I was bored enough to see if ethernet worked and it does but it s in no way handy for me to use this option I need WiFi Please help me For people who need it a short while ago I made a screenshot of the IP configurations ipconfig all through the command prompt http i tinypic com inv ph jpg nbsp

A:Wireless no longer works after having recieved new HDD

I've been struggling for a week now trying to get my wireless internet working on my "repaired" Acer computer. But till this date, I still haven't made any progress. At all. I feel my sanity slipping away from me.

My computer is able to find all the previous connections I'm familiar with, but I'm just not able to connect. I even dare to say the connections are pretty strong, so I doubt it it's the antenna(s).
But really, I wouldn't know.

I've tried pretty much every "solution" I could find on the internet, while still waiting for the Acer customer service to respond and for someone to say anything useful at the Acer forums, but it's all taking a very long time.
I recon a specific problem needs a specific solution, which is why nothing worked, so I'm hoping I'll find a clever and patient person out here who would like to help me with this mess.

Computer
It concerns an Acer Aspire X3475, running Windows 8.

Repair (replaced HDD) Details
Approximately 2 weeks ago I had to send my computer away to the Acer repair team because of a defective HDD. On oktober 15th I was in possession of my computer again, with the HDD replaced; and since day one I haven't been able to connect through WiFi.
I have two laptops sitting here, and they manage to connect just fine, so I am sure to say I find this very confusing and upsetting.
Before my computer was taken away, everything worked just fine. Nothing changed about the router/connection/key during that time, so I'm having trouble determining the cause of the issue.

Today I was bored enough to see if ethernet worked, and it does, but it's in no way handy for me to use this option. I need WiFi. Please, help me.

For people who need it, a short while ago I made a screenshot of the IP configurations (ipconfig/all) through the command prompt: http://i43.tinypic.com/inv3ph.jpg

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wireless-no-longer-works-after-having-recieved-new-hdd.197287/
Relevancy 20.64%

Recently bought a MS mouse.

Have found that when I move the scroll wheel up or down more than really slowly
a little round icon appears with an up arrow and a down arrow. If the cursor is
above the icon, the page automatically scrolls upward without stopping, and the reverse for the cursor being below that icon. It starts without warning and always goes farther than I want and it goes so fast it's difficult, at best, to react to it before I'm way past what I want to see.

When I click, the thing goes away.

Any way to totally delete this annoying feature other than throwing the mouse away and
getting another Logitech?

Thanks!

A:Microsoft mouse scrolling so annoying

Wow I know that feeling. I had a MS mouse that did the same thing. Never could figure out how to stop it from doing that. I search over the internet and never found a answer. Even tried its support site. I ended up getting rid of it and going back to a Logitech.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/microsoft-mouse-scrolling-so-annoying.197079/
Relevancy 24.51%

I had wireless internet with AT&T and everything was fine. Today I switched to Bright House and my laptop will not connect wirelessly to the router. I am able to use the ethernet cord to connect and my mobile devices connect to the wireless network with no problem. Please help ! My computer is an Acer and is operating on Windows 7

A:Ethernet works, wireless doesn't

Hey Ashp10. You had AT&T as your ISP, but now you are using Bright House, correct?. Did you have your own router when with AT&T or were you using a combo modem/router provided by them. How about with Bright House, are you using a box provided by them or are you using your own router?.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ethernet-works-wireless-doesnt.197034/
Relevancy 16.77%

SO my old hard drive wouldn't boot anymore, I think the error had something to do with MUI not being full or something? So I bought a new computer and pulled the drive from my old computer and put it into an enclosure. It is registering on my new computer as I:, but I get an error I:/ is not accessible The request could not be performed because of an I/O Device Error.

I am guessing I need to put a master boot record on the external drive to get it to be recognized? I have a ton of pics on that drive, most are backed up, but I got a few months behind and CHristmas and a few other important months of pics are on there and I don't want to lose them (or pay $3000 to recover them either). Any ideas?

A:Old HD not booting, now external drive, need to get files

Take the drive out and get a USB HDD Hub for it and buy a new HDD install the new OS on that system to replace it. This way you can still use the HDD as external device with USB connection to get your files off.

USB HDD cost like $36 bucks
Uspeed USB 3.0 & eSATA to SATA External Hard Drive Docking Station for 2.5 or 3.5in HDD, SSD [UASP and 4TB Support]

Supports ALL 2.5" & 3.5" SATA HDD and SSDs; Hot-Swap; Plug and Play; Supports Windows 98/ME/2000/XP/Vista/7/8, Mac 10.2 or above
Offers eSATA and USB 3.0 interfaces with data transfer rates up to 3Gbps and 5Gbps respectively (cables included); Backward compatible with USB 2.0 /1.1 connections
Seat bare SATA drives directly into docking station without wires or tools necessary; Gain immediate access with no driver or installation needed
Free Lifetime Technical Support and 18 Months Manufacturer Warranty
Package Includes: 1 USB 3.0 & eSATA HDD Docking Station, 1 USB 3.0 Cable (Approx. 1M), 1 eSATA Cable (Approx. 1M), 1 12V/2A AC Power Adapter

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/old-hd-not-booting-now-external-drive-need-to-get-files.195834/
Relevancy 17.2%

Hi guys,
I need some help. I have aseagate 1TB ext. hard drive. I cansee it as G drive bit cannot access the files. Strangely I did get the same issue some time back and I ran th seagate tools and the bad sector was resolved. This time I was trasfereing the video files and after completing the task the drive is visible in my computer but I cannot access the files. Whole lot of data is stuck and pretty important too. Kindly suggest a solution.
Windows 8 in use

Thanks in advance

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cannot-access-files.195769/
Relevancy 16.77%

So I use a hard drive tray which usually works fine drive/OS with files 'interact' BIOS hard but every couple of months I ll get no boot no Bios just a black screen and various led s You can see a previous post at http www techspot com community topics stumper-no-bios-or-video but Saturday I had my mouse BIOS 'interact' with hard drive/OS files freeze and couldn t get any control Re-boot attempt gave a DMI pool data error Surfing yields a dozen possible reasons for that error Ended up re-setting the Bios solved I use b XP and rarely Linux Mint all on different drives The guy who helped me says Bios interacts with data in the MBR on the different drives I BIOS 'interact' with hard drive/OS files have never read anything stating Bios can get mixed up due to which hard drive or OS as Bios passes control off to MBR and then OS regardless of which sata cable being used I agree the drive tray must be confusing the Bios but don t understand how Recently I haven t even had Mint installed so I don t think the grub is a culprit Anyone know how using a tray and different drives could change settings in Bios Goes against what I learned nbsp

A:BIOS 'interact' with hard drive/OS files

The Boot sequence of a PC has this (legacy) sequence of events

Power On Self Test (POST) occurs
The video card is found
Secondary rom' are found and executed (eg IDE/ATA,...)
Bios vga display
System inventory of the devices occurs
PnP devices are found
Using the Boot sequence map in the BIOS, a device that is ready and bootable is found
the MBR is read if found
and the BOOT.ini processed to locate the kernel
ELSE FAIL
So the list of ready devices are sampled to find a MBR.
For UEFI support, the BIOS looks for the /boot partition.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bios-interact-with-hard-drive-os-files.195508/
Relevancy 16.77%

I am just trying to come to grips with possibilities using my new Asus Xonar DG Soundcard.
It's a well reviewed but low cost card @ $28 & I selected it to replace my failed on-board Card.
So I now have my desktop amplified speakers set up, but they are budget variety & somewhat limited, although I do not expect or need high volume.
I happen to have several small (ex car) amps, & several pairs of reasonably sized reasonable quality speakers, so I thought "what about a 4 speaker set up"?
Is this possible & how can it be wired up?
If done this way should I hook up a double gang log pot to control volume rather than use the on screen slide control which is not that easy when you are doing other things.

A:Making best of 5.1 sound card without 5.1 audio files

There should be a 'speaker fill' checkbox or similar in your audio manager.

Alternatively, you can use a splitter to split the L/R audio between the front jack and rear jack, giving you the same sound coming from the four speakers.

Or, you may find that it's annoying....

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/making-best-of-5-1-sound-card-without-5-1-audio-files.195307/
Relevancy 24.08%

Ever since my macbook pro went flat my hard drive no longer is recognised on the computer. it comes up with the first picture uploaded. when I go to disk utility I can not click verify disk or repair disk but can see the hard drive there. I have no idea how to fix this without losing everything on the hard drive. I have no other mac to plug into and I plugged it into a pc but it does not show up, however the sounds when you plug something in and out are there.

A:External Hard drive no longer works in my mac

since my macbook pro went flatClick to expand...

what does that mean?

the JPG attached strongly suggests the drive has issues

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-no-longer-works-in-my-mac.194702/
Relevancy 20.64%

Good morning everyone,

My database at work has hit a snag. Whenever I open it I get this error (see attach.) Once I click on yes, it still does not open. It just shows the loading circle (Vista) constantly...

A colleague and myself are the only ones who use this database - it holds 17,000+ files that we have to track. Hers works fine, albeit slowly.

Any help out there with this one? Always appreciated.

Thanks

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/microsoft-access-database-issues.194266/
Relevancy 24.51%

Hello I m not Works Connect Won't Ethernet Wireless sure if this is in the right place but here goes Yesterday the wireless was going slow so I Ethernet Works Wireless Won't Connect accessed the router and changed the WPA Pre-Shared Key to something more complex and difficult to guess After that it would still connect to wireless but it wouldn t load pages quickly or at all Then it stopped connecting to my wireless network altogether I m writing this post with my Ethernet cable plugged in and it works perfectly fine I ran Windows troubleshooter while still able to connect to wireless Results were that the problem had something to do with Ethernet Works Wireless Won't Connect the DNS Server Since then I ve tried winsock fix flushdns ipconfig in cmd resetting the wireless WPA Pre-Shared Key back to the original changing the Preferred and Alternate DNS servers powering off my Thomson router I ve tried to cmd - ipconfig release renew but it says the media is disconnected and it can t perform that operation Any help would be great -Scott nbsp

A:Ethernet Works Wireless Won't Connect

How far is the computer from the router? Are there any walls,floors it has to go thru?
Personally, I'd stick with the ethernet.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ethernet-works-wireless-wont-connect.193718/
Relevancy 16.34%

Hi thanks or looking a my post,

As it is I have 1 hard drive backing up all staff file that are located on a share PC, I have now been asked to setup a system where I have two hard drive backing up the same information and that they are switched weekly.

When one hard drive is in the building backing up the other hard drive is off site in a safe place, but I am unsure how to set this up using windows 7 backup.

I do not need to backup the system image as they has all ready been done just the staff files.

Thanks for any help

Sean

A:Backing up files on 2 different hard drives (windows 7 backup)

Good planning for disaster planning reasons (btw: that's called media rotation).

To automate backups alternating between two target drives -- don't think that's possible and you will need a manual procedure to identify the 'other drive'.

Hopefully the "files that are located on a share PC" are limited to a Shared Folder making the source location easy. Using the backup technique of an Incremental Backup will reduce the size and time of the data being copied.

CAUTION: do not encrypt the backup volume(s), nor even compress them.
If you need them after a disaster, they will need to be usable on ANY available PC and encryption/compression can be subject to software incompatibilities - - right when you don't need that kind of help!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/backing-up-files-on-2-different-hard-drives-windows-7-backup.193199/
Relevancy 16.77%

Hi all just wondering after a full format can files be recovered. any help much appreciated

A:Can files be recovered after a full format

Almost NEVER :sigh:

"no matter how many times I measure that piece of lumber,
every time I cut it it is STILL too short".

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-files-be-recovered-after-a-full-format.192846/
Relevancy 18.06%

Hi,

I am running XP SP 2 on Intel Motherboard DH55TC, Core i5 CPU. UAA High Definition Audio class driver is resulting in high hardware interrupts that uses upto 10 to 12% of CPU. The interrupts goes away if I uninstall UAA Bus driver through Device Manager. But this also disables RealTek audio driver which means I hear sound no more.

I tried updating the UAA driver to Version 1.0a but still the hardware interrupts wont go away. Please help how to fix this issue.

A:Microsoft UAA bus driver for High Definition Audio is causing high hardware interrupt

Download the Realtek drivers here Realtek drivers, you want the third one down, Windows 2000, Windows XP/2003(32/64 bits) Driver only (Executable file)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/microsoft-uaa-bus-driver-for-high-definition-audio-is-causing-high-hardware-interrupt.152928/
Relevancy 24.08%
A:ApexDC++ works on my college network, but HFS does not. Can anyone explain why?

Did you see the firewall & port forwarding requirements here ?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/apexdc-works-on-my-college-network-but-hfs-does-not-can-anyone-explain-why.192140/
Relevancy 17.2%

Hello guys , I have a seagate external hard drive I dont know if its a TB or WD ? but it has a max capacity of 500gb. so here is the problem , the external drive shows that it occupies 295gb out of 500gb capacity but when I opened it , the files inside the drive does NOT shows up,I dont know if they are missing or something,and I dont know what is the real problem ..so ive tried to unhide it but nothing happened can you suggest some solutions to this problem ?, I really need the files inside the external drive , and I dont want to format it . thank you guys . ask me if there's a part you doesnt understand

A:Missing files

If the ext drive is drive E: then run CHKDSK E: /F /R

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/missing-files.191677/
Relevancy 16.77%

I recently had issues with a computer and needed files accessing drive Help with external hard on to get a new one but was able to save the hard drive from the old and use as an external it had everything on it and I didn t back it up Anyway I purchased a Dynex external hard disc case hooked it up to the new computer and it accesses only half of the stuff It apepars that the things on the external that had a password to access it Help with accessing files on external hard drive will now allow to me access My computer is telling me I quot do not have permission to access that file quot How can I gain access to those files that I was able to access on the other computer Its the same hard drive Is there a way to enter the sign-on password info so that I access the quot protected quot stuff They were really only microsoft word documents but thousands of them as well as digital voice files I ve already tried the quot properties Security Owner change ownership quot thing Didn t work Thanks Kate nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-with-accessing-files-on-external-hard-drive.190805/
Relevancy 17.2%

I inserted my USB in a friend's laptop and I noticed that they all turned into .exe files. I figured it was only because my friend's laptop was very slow and I think it is infected. But when I inserted the USB back to my laptop, the folders remained as .exe. My laptop is probably clean (undergoing a Redirect malware cleaning as of the moment) but I haven't encountered any problems like this before. I can't format my USB because I need the files. Please help.

A:Folders turned to .exe files

I have scanned my USB with MSE and results show it had Trojan:Win32/Startpage.gen!A virus and MSE quarantined them.
I still can't access my folders even if I type it on the address bar. No malicious items show up on MBAM. Please help me.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/folders-turned-to-exe-files.190262/
Relevancy 16.34%

I have a Seagate ST500DM002 using windows 7.
it shows around 150GB free space, when I delete files from it (not to recycle bin), it still shows the same amount of free space, even after restart, any advice?

A:Hard drive won't free up space after deleting files

This is a 500GB drive, right? How is it configured, as a boot or spare drive?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-wont-free-up-space-after-deleting-files.190258/
Relevancy 24.94%

Hi
I have a desk top pc, which loads up and then I cant get onto the internet. We know we have internet as we run a laptop. I have tried a system restore, this has not made any difference. I have cleaded temporary internet files and run free avg 2013 to see if I have any viruses.
One day we can get on and the next we cant, any ideas? The computer also appears to be a little sluggish (only 2 years old).

Any help is appreciated.

Many thanks,

A:Desktop PC works intermittently

What operating system do you have?
have you tried re-installing the LAN driver?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/desktop-pc-works-intermittently.188421/
Relevancy 24.94%

Microphone Jack isnt working microphone isnt being read what is the problem the sound card or the Jacks themselves the mic isnt the problem cause it works on the laptop just not on the pc..

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/microphone-works-on-one-system-but-not-another.189222/
Relevancy 24.51%

Anybody know what would make a monitor display for 10 seconds and then go black?
I can shut it off...turn back on and it displays again for 10 seconds and goes blank.
I have changed out cables. tried on several machines, and outputs, same result.
any help would be appreciated.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/monitor-works-for-10-seconds-then-goes-black.188677/
Relevancy 16.77%

Hi all

Hopefully I'm posting this in the correct place, Mods please move if not, thanks.

So, I have a bit of a problem. I accidentally deleted the wrong folder from our work server yesterday (Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard), but we have a nightly backup to a tape drive so I went onto the backup software (Symantec Backup Exec 2012) to restore the data. However, using the restore wizard it has been "Querying for data" for approximately 12 hours... is this normal?? Is it possible to restore files/folders from a tape backup, or would we have to restore the whole system? Do I just need to wait a long time for the system to find the data?

We have a spare 2Tb NAS drive so I could potentially restore all of the data to this (approximately 600gb), would this be a more viable approach?

Thanks in advance

A:Restoring files/folders from tape backup

Never mind, sorted now

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/restoring-files-folders-from-tape-backup.187491/
Relevancy 24.08%

One of my many drive is the FreeAgent GoFlex Drive 1.5 TB pocket sized external drive - it works fine on every other computer but on mine it stopped working - actually when I plug it in to my computer it freezes my computer every time I plug it in however to unfreeze my computer all I have to do is unplug the drive (plug-in and unplug I mean connect and disconnect USB cable from my USB port on my computer).

I have a 700 watt Power supply and my other USB devices work just fine which includes all my other external hard drives - I did replace my Geforce 8800 GT grap[hics card with the Geforce GTx550 Ti graphics card.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

A:FreeAgent GoFlex Drive works on every computer but mine

Have you tried connecting it to a different USB port? It's possible that the port you are using is miswired and is putting out the wrong amount of voltage.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/freeagent-goflex-drive-works-on-every-computer-but-mine.186007/
Relevancy 20.64%

Why doesn't my microsoft lifecam work with windows 7? Is there a simple way to fix this problem?

A:Windows 7/Microsoft Lifecam

We would need the model number to tell you a reason to why it is not working, and if there is a fix.. If there is no supported driver for windows7, you may need to attempt to use a Windows Vista driver and run it in compatibility mode.

If these options are not possible, you may have to purchase a new one.

Please reply back with the model of the webcam.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-7-microsoft-lifecam.185668/
Relevancy 16.34%

Win XP defragger is having a hard time defragging external USB 2TB drive because of the back up .iso image files on it. What do you think about the cause of this problem and possible solutions? Diskeeper?

A:Should I create a separate drive partition just for .iso files or do I just need a better defragger?

CORRECTION!

I just realized the actual file type causing this issue is .mrimg , a back up image file created by Macrium Reflect. Some of the big .iso files I have seem to stress the defragger, but at least they're not completely crashing XP and the drive. I end up having to unplug the drive to get XP responding again, even to reboot. I'm pretty convinced it's the .mrinmg file. Not sure if I should create a separate partition just for them, or get a better defragger.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/should-i-create-a-separate-drive-partition-just-for-iso-files-or-do-i-just-need-a-better-defragger.185691/
Relevancy 17.2%

I've downloaded photos from my camera's memory card onto my computer, the whole photo comes up at first in the thumbnail and then part of the photo gets blanked out with a grey block or the photo becomes distorted. I've tried it on another computer and it does the same. Can anyone help me recover them?

A:Corrupt photo files

Hi, If you are seeing a part of your photo, say just the top 10% but the rest is grey, then it means that the grey part has been saved over by another jpeg file, so that means it must have been deleted at some time earlier.
The thumbnail version you see is a different version, but is only a few hundred bytes of data . To cut a long story down, the jpegs are are gone.
A good program to recover jpegs from memory cards etc, is Piriform's 'Recuva' , but it can't get back data that's been saved over, only jpeg files that have been marked 'delete' BUT have not yet been written over by another jpeg file.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/corrupt-photo-files.185106/
Relevancy 20.21%

I have a mixture of domain and workgroup computers on the network and wan to have them all visible in Microsfot Windows Network My Network Place Group - Machine amp Machine are on workgroupA with its not Computer Microsoft in visible Windows Network own subnet and can see each other fine Group - Machine amp Machine are on the domain and can see each other fine Group - Machine amp Machine are also on the domain however on a different subnet and it too can see each other fine If I am on Machine it only sees Machine When I am on Machine it can not see Machine or however it can see Machine The same goes for Machine can t see any other machine except Machine even though its on the domain I have a WINS server in place in Group and it WINS see all the machines as Active Registrations But when I go into My Network Places on the WINS server it only sees machines in Group which are Machine amp Machine DNS entries are setup correctly with correct hostname and IP so I m lost as to what is happening here Sorry of this sounds confusing nbsp

A:Computer not visible in Microsoft Windows Network

My understanding is that

a given system(A) may be attached to a domain OR
unattached and accessed in a workgroup; mutually exclusive.
That says your request is not possible

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-not-visible-in-microsoft-windows-network.181851/
Relevancy 16.77%

So I recently built myself a computer. I have a 500GB Hard drive, and during the installation of windows I forgot to make a partition.
I already tried making a partition the re-installing windows on that, but for some reason it kept failing.

so I'm wondering if there's a way to move all my core Windows NVIDIA Program Files etc. into just one folder. then possibly make it hidden. would that work? is there any way to do this?

A:Shifting core files big problem

If you head into the Administrative Tools in Control Panel you can create a partition by shrinking your existing C: partition by the amount of space you want to use for a second one.

There is absolutely no need to re-install Windows.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/shifting-core-files-big-problem.182351/
Relevancy 16.77%

Hi

I am trying to recover my files-all.

Recently all the folders and files disappeared, normally when this happened i would view all the hidden files in the folder options and also unchecked the hide protected operating....

and i would see the hidden files.. now only thing i see is a folder marked playlist (guessing since it was in ma phone that's apart of the reason),

however if i delete it it comes back my guess is its a virus, i know my folders are still on it cause the space is allocated in the properties box so its there... i also tried the command line (attrib -s -.......and so on) but nothing worked, i only see the same playlist folder..

i don't want to buy one of those recovery software cause its costy and i might not use it frequently..

A:Recover files from memory card

This might help:
http://www.easeus-deletedrecovery.com/recover-deleted-files/free-recover-deleted-files-from-usb-drive.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/recover-files-from-memory-card.178817/
Relevancy 16.77%

my flash drive name shows up when I click on My Computer, but when I click the name of the Flash Drive, the files are not listed. How do I correct this?

A:Listing of files on flash drives

The flash drive in question may or may not have files on it that windows can see. It could be in a strange format, or it could just have hidden files on it. open my computer, go to tools/folder options/view and tick "show hidden files and folders" see if that allows you to see the files that are on the flash drive. If not, perhaps the flash drive is bad, or maybe is just needs reformatted. keep in mind reformatting will wipe any data that is on the flash drive. to do so, open my computer, right click on the flash drive, and choose format. Hope this helps, take care!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/listing-of-files-on-flash-drives.179709/
Relevancy 17.2%

I accidentally killdisk'd my EHD yesterday, I managed to stop it before it deleted anything. But the pc doesn't read my EHD anymore, I tried it on other pc's and it still wont read it. I can't access it even from cmd. Please tell me there is still a chance to recover my files

A:Need help on recovering files from EHD

update: my friend got it to run on the device management, and it showed up as Unallocated, then he tried to create an extended partition, and told me that all the files was already removed. is there really no chance at all?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-on-recovering-files-from-ehd.180793/
Relevancy 17.2%

I need to get access to some files I saved in an old Maxtor One Touch Plus external HDD some years back. I tried plugging the drive into my desktop. The power indicator on the drive lit up but I could not see it in the list of drives under the "My Computer" menu.

I checked under "Device Manager" and saw it was listed there. A friend advised me to assign a letter to the drive. I attempted to do this but I got a return from Windows saying that the drive is write protected so I could not complete the process.

Is there any other way I can recover my files from the drive?

A:Need help recovering files from old external HDD

There is always the idea of taking the drive out of the external and directly connecting the drive to your motherboard.

I wish I understood how the drive could be locked. Do you not have any options to unlock the drive?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-recovering-files-from-old-external-hdd.180591/
Relevancy 24.51%

Hi guys I d really appreciate if anyone could give me some advice I m having a seriously frustrating problem with my computer monitor graphics card I have an LG flatron monitor Every time I go to start my computer in Screen works 640x480, only 64-bit Windows it switches off and the message quot analog power saving mode quot appears on the screen I can t turn it on after that unless I restart windows in x resolution When I do this the screen flashes with red lines and doesn t fit properly I ve checked to make sure all the cables are tight tried system restore when all else failed I even tried updating my graphics drivers but I can t get very far because the screen will turn off just as Screen only works in 640x480, Windows 64-bit they re finished updating The problem only occurred when I was sitting on a crappy cooking website which required no power Screen only works in 640x480, Windows 64-bit from my video card at all It was perfect for the last two years up until then Help Some additional details that probably won t help at all Name NVIDIA GeForce LE Chip Type GeForce LE DAC Integrated RAMDAC Approx total memory MB Current Display Mode x bit Hz Drivers Main driver nvd Screen only works in 640x480, Windows 64-bit dumx dll nvd dum Version Driver Model WDDM nbsp

A:Screen only works in 640x480, Windows 64-bit

The video card is probably dying... Time to invest in a little better card

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/screen-only-works-in-640x480-windows-64-bit.178587/
Relevancy 20.21%

I've been playing games for more than 12 years with KB+Mouse and have never used a controller before. Games are becoming more and more controller optimized and I have an Eyefinity setup that would give a better experience with a gamepad, so I decided to get one

I've narrowed my options to Razer Onza TE BF3 Edition (Wired):

http://store.razerzone.com/store/razerusa/en_US/pd/productID.235034100/categoryId.54297600

And Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows :

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Xbo...d-20&ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1322381006&sr=8-3

They both seem pretty good, but have heard very mixed views on razer products...

Which one is better ?

A:Razer Onza or Microsoft controller for Windows?

Do you already own a wireless 360 controller? You can use a 360 controller on your PC if you add one of these. I use it and it works fine.
http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Wire...FCT2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331256805&sr=8-1

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/razer-onza-or-microsoft-controller-for-windows.178459/
Relevancy 24.51%

I didnt have this issue until recently.

I can get a wirless connection no problem, but once I plug in my LAN cord I can't connect. If I disable my wireless I still can't get a connection. I tried going into device manager and deleting my Ethernt card, and rebooted. No luck there either. Any idea? Is there something I need to enable? Not super IT, but have looked at properties and everywhere else I can think of, but uI am posting here.......you can tell I am still stuck.

Thanks for your help!!

OS - Windows 7
Ethernet Card - Atheros AR8152 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller

A:Wireless works, but no connection with LAN cord

The wired LAN port on the motherboard may be bad... Have you tried re-installing the Atheros AR8152 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller driver from the laptops manufacturer support website?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wireless-works-but-no-connection-with-lan-cord.178261/
Relevancy 14.62%

My gb hdd is about years old which I realize is about the average lifespan of a WD harddrive Up until now it had only given me similar "Gibberish" on HDD external Western 500GB Digital files problems very sparingly and would be fixed with a quick restart Now after multiple restarts it looks like the problem is potentially permanent Here are some examples of what happens i imgur com h Dc jpg I have only used about GB on the HDD i imgur com SYBrN jpg "Gibberish" files on external Western Digital 500GB HDD The content of the HDD and what happens when I try to open a folder On other PCs well I tried it on an iMac the harddrive is "Gibberish" files on external Western Digital 500GB HDD read but no files show up I scanned it with what I believe was called "Gibberish" files on external Western Digital 500GB HDD Partition Recovery however no problems were found I m hoping someone on here can help me salvage it if not I ll just have to no longer trust WD Other information that might be useful Windows Vista -bit Problem seemed to have started after I began sharing it over network not sure if this was a coincidence nbsp

A:"Gibberish" files on external Western Digital 500GB HDD

Have you tested it with a hard drive diagnostic utility like SeaTools?

I'd consider checking for a firmware update on the drive and applying that. I think I've seen something similar like that happen with a dead hard drive but I can't exactly remember. So it might be worth waiting for someone else to respond before going ahead with the firmware update. I don't entirely know how those work and I wonder if updating the firmware may make recovery impossible (if it ever was possible to begin with).

Hiren's Boot CD has some pretty good recovery tools and I had some good luck recovering files off a drive when I booted into Mini XP mode with the CD. I had to try several utilities before I had any luck, and when I did find one that was able to recover it took a really long time, much longer than it would just copying files.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/gibberish-files-on-external-western-digital-500gb-hdd.178102/
Relevancy 24.94%

Hi's to all.. am here in hopes I can get an idea for what might be happening. The monitor currently in use here working fine with a DELL pc.. Am puzzled over what is happening. With an atttempt to s simply connect this monitor to another pc it is not responding.. works with one but not the other??? Scratch my head.... the pc it is not working with has no OES. have win 7 to install in it.. The cable has a tight connection fit on both pc's.. Just got this pc back from a tech who had it hooked up to his monitor.. what could I look at to troubleshoot

A:Monitor works with one PC but not another

do you have a dedicated graphics card on the new computer? If so, make sure you are plugging the monitor into the correct one.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/monitor-works-with-one-pc-but-not-another.177358/
Relevancy 17.2%

On my usb, there is no problem with the slots themselves but the usbs keep talking about opening as an administrator, i tried that and still nothing.

A:USBs won't let me open files

Are you using Win 7?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/usbs-wont-let-me-open-files.176841/
Relevancy 16.34%

Hey there,

I am trying to pull old files from my hard drive that was in my old computer running Windows XP. I have it plugged in via extenal housing/Reader if you will and when I try to copy or drag the files a windows shows up saying access is denied. Is this because of user logins or something with XP or something crazy like this and is there a way to copy these files over to my other computer that is running XP as well.

Thanks

A:Unable to copy files from old hard drive even with carriage

You need to take ownership. Here is a thread with instructions: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic8914.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unable-to-copy-files-from-old-hard-drive-even-with-carriage.176761/
Relevancy 16.77%

After transferring all of my saved files (pictures, videos, mp3s) from my 500gb Seagate external hard drive to my new Western Digital 2tb hard drive, over half of everything has been corrupted. I don't know why, I am devastated right now.

When I first started transferring all of my files to my new external hard drive, I realized I had to format it in order to transfer large files. So I had to go back and copy everything right back to my old hard drive. After I finished formatting the new one, I copied everything back to it. Now not only are most of my files from the new one is screwed up, but most everything on my old external hard drive is corrupt too. Is there a way to fix the files that has been damaged and why did this happen in the first place?

A:Files bad after transferring to external hard drive

screwed up how? can you be specific? If the files were corrupted on the old hard drive and you attempted to copy them the OS would give you errors while copying them. If you did not get an error message while copying them than the OS (I assume windows) did not see them as corrupted.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/files-bad-after-transferring-to-external-hard-drive.176703/
Relevancy 16.34%

Having dredged the internet, I came across this forum amongst the many with questions relating to cd drives working but dvd not etc, but my issue is slightly different, i think.

CDs seem to play ok, and so do DVDs, but I seem to have a problem with my laptop reading a disc with DS games on it that it used to read no problem. The discs can be used in my other half's laptop, so it is clearly a problem with my laptop.

I'd appreciate if anyone could advise where I can start to solve this problem

A:Music and video play on laptop CD/DVD drive but not data files

You need to have the CD/DVD drive replaced. Internal lasers fail in strange ways. The drives are not too expensive and they are easy to replace

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/music-and-video-play-on-laptop-cd-dvd-drive-but-not-data-files.175583/
Relevancy 16.34%

I recorded a program in HD60 on my Kodak Zx1. I watched a few minutes of the recording on a television, then stopped, planning to download it to my computer and edit it later. When I came back, the SD card read empty. I have no idea what happened.

I used Recuva on the SD card, and have come up with a few files, 2 of which appear to be my video - one is about 30 minutes long, the other, ten. But when I play the files,all I see is BLACK. The files are .mov files. I've tried to open the files in several programs, including Quicktime,but if they read at all, the screen comes up, the video is obviously playing ( the timer is moving), but there is nothing but black.

I'm hoping to much to be able to recover and play these files of my daughter singing. Can anyone help me?

A:Recovered video files play back all black

It may be time to get another video camera. Today's smart phones do a good job taking video shots

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/recovered-video-files-play-back-all-black.175293/
Relevancy 16.77%

Hi,
Just wondering if anyone can help. My dvd drive crashed when i was burning files onto a dvd. now all the files are gone. anyone know what i can do to access the files on the dvd? do data recovery programs really help? has this happened to anyone else? is there a way to retrieve the already burned files, or is it a lost cause?

A:DVD drive crash, lost files

No files left on the hard drive? What program did you use to copy the files to the DVD drive? Can you read the DVD on another computer?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dvd-drive-crash-lost-files.174358/
Relevancy 16.77%

Not sure if this belongs here or on the networking board. Anyway...
We have a network of about 20 pcs. I recently installed four new machines that run Windows 7 with Office 2010. The server is running Server 2003. Three of the machines worked perfectly from the beginning, accessing the server and sharing folders and files. One machine will only open files in "read only" mode. I have shared all the folders and given every permission there is but it will only open the files in "read only". It is a critical accounting machine that has to share and change files. What am I missing?

A:Sharing folders and files in Office 2010

hmm; your wording is imprecise so need to make sure what you mean,

Office 2010 can not be shared other than the Calendar events and that's not done
via "sharing".

You don't state the application that is sharing the common file on the server,
but I assume some accounting system installed on multiple client systems are attempting
concurrent access to the same accounting data.

You don't say if this has ever worked before with this setup or if this is the initial install for the Sharing of the accounting data.

First action is to access that file by only one system at a time (ie: disconnect the mapped Drive letter) and get that working.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sharing-folders-and-files-in-office-2010.174216/
Relevancy 16.34%

Hello I have external Samsung G USB station I had two different folders show drive and doesn't External files partitions one primary just for files and one logical for files also All the time I use WinXP Linux and Vista on different computers mostly Everything was fine But when I bought a brand new DVD with Win and installed on my brand new laptop the strange things became Now I ll try to define my problem as much as possible clearly and accurately My laptop with Win shows that logical drive but when I go in there I can t see my folders and files they are not hidden of course In properties I can see that these files ARE there I suppose that by the External drive doesn't show files and folders free and used space of that partition and I really know how GBs was there so in properties seems that anything is not lost When I connect External drive doesn't show files and folders drive to a different computer with let s say Vista it doesn t show these files also Same with XP But I can reach my files on Linux Another strange thing is that all the information in the other partition primary drive is accessible without any probs Now I copied all these files into Linux and used to format that partition NTFS and made it primary also I did it on Win So I have two primary drives now Then I brought all the information from Linux back into that drive under my investigation Everything was fine and I was so glad till I restarted mtfk Computer When I use Norton Partition Manager for browsing that drive I can see these folders and files One more thing I observed on Vista these folders icons seem like shortcuts now What is very strange really I can reach them in fact But I can t on XP or Win now Then I ve experimented a bit I copied two small files on that drive intentionally Surprisingly I can see these freshly loaded files both on Vista and XP On Win also But can t see these previously loaded files So WTF May anyone be able to help to resolve this confusing problem nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-drive-doesnt-show-files-and-folders.174247/
Relevancy 23.22%

Hello I recently posted on this forum after having issues with my computer not booting Then the PSU literally blew up a day later Old System Specs Q MSI P N Diamond Silverpower sp w has good reviews just not well known Corsair GB HD The issue I had was turn on pc everything lights up but GPU fan spins at full speed as if it was getting no power or connecting to motherboard G-card will not boot at all I did however find a very strange work around To boot the machine I had to remove the pin CPU power on the motherboard Turn the machine on but no boot Turn it off and replace CPU power Turn machine back on and everything works perfectly So It seems that the card can never boot up from cold If I re-started it worked fine I now have a new motherboard cpu RAM and PSU Both motherboards work perfectly with my tester g-card New PC Parts I k Gigabyte GA-Z X-UD P-B Corsair TX w V The new one fails to boot at all even with various different power cables removed I cannot RMA card as it is No works fan kinda speed boot, card? mobo faulty on other - - full 5870 second-hand BY using my 5870 No boot, fan full speed - kinda works on other mobo - faulty card? trick on the old motherboard it works perfectly so the card actually works It s just having big issues accepting power to 5870 No boot, fan full speed - kinda works on other mobo - faulty card? boot Would flashing the g-card bios help This quote is from an article about flashing the g-card bios It seems to sum up my issue the video BIOS initializes the card As soon as it receives power from the motherboard the BIOS activates the card and identifies itself to the motherboard BIOS In short the video BIOS starts and identifies the card and provides its initial crop of settings However if I can get any advice on other things to try out then I will happily do them The PSU s are not at fault as There is the same issue with a new Antec PSU and my brand new Corsair TC w which is supposed to be one of the dogs bollox of PSU s Thanks in advance for your reply Ivan G-S nbsp

A:5870 No boot, fan full speed - kinda works on other mobo - faulty card?

Welcome to the world of custom building lol, my computer has similar problems that if i have had it turned off for more than 5 minutes it will not boot and keeps bluescreen until i do a clean boot with a power drain, my solution to that is do just set the bios on the MB to use a 1W standby and leave it in sleep mode always (reboot it every so often)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/5870-no-boot-fan-full-speed-kinda-works-on-other-mobo-faulty-card.173944/
Relevancy 16.77%

Hi, Just installed new 500gig Seagate sata hdd on computer, everything good. connected old 250 gig Seagate, now on startup, xp goes to chkdsk on F: and starts deleting the the files I want to keep. How can I set up the 2nd hdd as storage only?

Thanks in advance.

A:XP deleting files from second SATA HDD on startup

here is what i think it might be but u might wanna post a screen shot of the process using ur camera or cellphone camera to be sure what we're dealing with,
it might be re arranging files. HDD sorts file differently than u might think "i put my games in a folder then they're together physically" not true ur games folder could be scattered around the HDD's media and linked so u see them in the same place during a sudden shutdown "power out shutdown or restart using ur power\reset buttons" some files might be orphaned "lost its link to the others" so u dont see it in its place in that case chkdsk seeks those orphan files and reconnects them to their proper places so u when u open ur games folder u see all ur games there or some files wasnt saved properly so they get lost if ur pc suddenly shuts down and they remain as pieces they case some issues so chkdsk has to get rid of them.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/xp-deleting-files-from-second-sata-hdd-on-startup.173573/
Relevancy 16.77%

how should i get the my files back , as they are encrypted in laptop having windows vista..

A:How should I get the encrypted files in my laptop having Windows Vista

Assuming both systems are working, first decrypt them where the are,

get both attached to the same router
setup Print/File sharing
copy from one to the other
If the system are remote from one another, after the decrypt, copy them to a USB thumbdrive which can then be moved to the other location.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-should-i-get-the-encrypted-files-in-my-laptop-having-windows-vista.173021/
Relevancy 16.34%

Hello everyone. I know there's probably been posts similar to mine, but I have not learned all I wanted from previous posts. Recently, my hard drive gave out on my XP computer. The issue seems to be that it will not be read as a master drive, but will run fine as a slave on my other XP computer. That being said, I can view the general program files, ect. on the drive when viewed with Explorer in my Computer, but cannot access my pictures and music and such. As mentioned in similar post, the same amount of usage is being reported, but not all of that data is viewable or present. How can I access my pictures and music? (I understand from other posts that it might have something to do with it being password protected if my previous computer installation of XP was password protected?)

A:Unable to view administrator files on slave drive

User Permissions

Its more down to user permissions, you dont have permission to access it, Personally i would take the hard drive and slip it in a computer with windows 7, then reset the permissions to whicherever user i want ( this is done by right clicking the drive/folder and changeing under the permissions tab)

God luck

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unable-to-view-administrator-files-on-slave-drive.171696/
Relevancy 24.94%

According to PCI-SIG chairman Al Yanes, who S/A spoke with on the 14th, the new PCIE spec is already in the works...Do those people ever sleep???:rolleyes:

http://semiaccurate.com/2011/09/15/pci-express-is-on-a-quest-for-speed/

A:PCIE 4.0 in the works...

Yo! And PCI-E 3.0 hasn't even become implemented yet. No rest for the weary builder... :dead:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pcie-4-0-in-the-works.170888/
Relevancy 24.51%

Hi, sorry to be annoying with this again, but I spent 3 hours trying everything I could possibly find on the internet to no avail.
I've set up a static IP at 192.168.1.101, set Azureus to listen at TCP/UDP ports 53981 then went into my router and set up port forwarding with the aforementioned details. While I was browsing through that i noticed that Azureus works with the UPnP feature of the router, it even notified me itself that it established the connection.

However, when I use the NAT testing feature in Azureus (Vuze) it still says connection refused. Internet port checkers with the port 53981 still say the port is closed too. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Edit: also disabled my software firewall, no help there either.

A:NAT error with Azureus even though UPnP works

get a command prompt and enter netstat -an ; the results are shown below
If your program is active, then the second column will contain 0.0.0.0:53981

Code:
Active Connections

Proto Local Address Foreign Address State
TCP 0.0.0.0:135 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TCP 0.0.0.0:445 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TCP 0.0.0.0:1028 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TCP 0.0.0.0:3389 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TCP 0.0.0.0:8019 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TCP 0.0.0.0:44334 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TCP 0.0.0.0:44501 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TCP 127.0.0.1:1025 127.0.0.1:44334 ESTABLISHED
TCP 127.0.0.1:1028 127.0.0.1:1030 ESTABLISHED
TCP 127.0.0.1:1030 127.0.0.1:1028 ESTABLISHED
TCP 127.0.0.1:1031 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TCP 127.0.0.1:1039 127.0.0.1:1040 ESTABLISHED
TCP 127.0.0.1:1040 127.0.0.1:1039 ESTABLISHED
TCP 127.0.0.1:1041 127.0.0.1:1042 ESTABLISHED
TCP 127.0.0.1:1042 127.0.0.1:1041 ESTABLISHED
TCP 127.0.0.1:4785 127.0.0.1:4786 ESTABLISHED
TCP 127.0.0.1:4786 127.0.0.1:4785 ESTABLISHED
TCP 127.0.0.1:4787 127.0.0.1:4788 ESTABLISHED
TCP 127.0.0.1:4788 127.0.0.1:4787 ESTABLISHED
TCP 127.0.0.1:12080 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TCP 127.0.0.1:12110 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TCP 127.0.0.1:12143 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TCP 127.0.0.1:12993 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TCP 127.0.0.1:12995 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TCP 127.0.0.1:19989 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TCP 127.0.0.1:44334 127.0.0.1:1025 ESTABLISHED
TCP 192.168.0.4:139 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TCP 192.168.0.4:4945 74.125.53.113:80 TIME_WAIT
UDP 0.0.0.0:445 *:*
UDP 0.0.0.0:1026 *:*
UDP 0.0.0.0:1029 *:*
UDP 0.0.0.0:4987 *:*
UDP 0.0.0.0:44334 *:*
UDP 127.0.0.1:123 *:*
UDP 192.168.0.4:123 *:*
UDP 192.168.0.4:137 *:*
UDP 192.168.0.4:138 *:*

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/nat-error-with-azureus-even-though-upnp-works.169895/
Relevancy 17.2%

Hey all I am brand new to this forum and dealing with the internals of computers Please bear with me I have a from HD files personal an Recovering IDE old really old eMachines - that just recently took a dump It would no longer power on at all So I went to the store and got a Recovering personal files from an old IDE HD power supply and for the Recovering personal files from an old IDE HD first time Recovering personal files from an old IDE HD ever took the side panel off of the tower After switching the bad power supply for the good one the CPU powered right up However I had no video output which led me to belive that my video card is bad My next step was to return the power supply and get an IDE hard drive enclosure that I picked up at a locally owned computer shop I hooked up the enclosure to my laptop and let kaspersky go to work on all the viruses and what not I knew had to be on there from that way that thing had started acting over the years Once completed I went to retreive the information twelve years worth of music photos ect that I cared about upon opening Music the folder was empty pictures was that same case So then I found Jims Share Drive IIRC that had a large file size I guess that s where all my stuff is but when I try to open the file I get told that I don t have the privledges I never put a password up or anything Is there any way to bypass this so I can access my stuff Any assistance is greatly appreciated Also I hope I didn t ramble too much nbsp

A:Recovering personal files from an old IDE HD

Make sure you have administrator rights. I will assume you are on at least Win XP.. Right click on the folder in question, go to properties, security. Check the setting there. Add yourself to the list.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/recovering-personal-files-from-an-old-ide-hd.169352/
Relevancy 24.51%

I was trying to backup some files by putting them on a memory stick and saving them onto another pc but the memory stick only works with the vista machine. in the past it did work with with does the fact that it has hardly no space on it have anything to do with that.

Thanks for any help

A:USB memory stick works on Vista but not on XP

Hi

no.. space or remaining space is irrelevant.

what happens when you plug in the stick to the XP machine, does it see it, make any noises, etc
have you tried another USB device in the machine such as a camera, printer or webcam.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/usb-memory-stick-works-on-vista-but-not-on-xp.165882/
Relevancy 16.77%

When I copy music files from my PC to a USB external hard drive, some of the files get corrupted and can't be opened. First times this happened I thought it was a faulty hard drive so got another one - exactly same problem. Then I found that the same thing happened when I tried copying music or photo files to a USB flash drive and also to a music player. All the drives work fine when connected to a netbook. Could it be a problem with the USB ports? I've tried using different ports on the PC but always get the same problem. My PC is 5 years old, 2x2.8Ghz Pentium, runs XP and has 2 front and 6 rear USB ports. Anyone come across this and is there anything I can do to solve it short of buying a new PC?

A:Copying to external drives gives corrupted files

Is XP updated to Service Pack 3? How much memory do you have installed?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/copying-to-external-drives-gives-corrupted-files.165720/
Relevancy 16.77%

My old computer finally gave up the ghost and I didn t feel like trying to salvage it so I built can't files WD access HDD Passport external - 120GB a new one All of my most important files photos music were on the external hdd already so I quickly backed up some other files and was good to go However when I tried moving the files from the external hdd I immediately ran into problems WD Passport 120GB external HDD - can't access files When I plug in the drive in the USB port it gets detected just fine However when I try exploring the drive it takes a loooooong time for my computer to detect the files I guess When I double-click on the drive location it opens up the first page of folders just fine But then I click on a sub-folder and it takes a full minute or two for all of the folders about a dozen or so within that folder to be populated onto the list Then the fun really starts Each time I click on a folder in any way the window freezes for seconds It doesn t freeze my computer just that explorer window Then I can -sometimes- double-click on the folder but depending on which folder it is I get a different error message It seems like the older folders are more likely to open I was able to successfully copy and paste one folder into my new computer Then there is one folder full of pictures that opens but only some of the pictures can be copied over -- the others give me an error message saying quot Cannot copy file Cannot read from the source file or disk quot The newest folder on the drive when I try to open it gives me an error message saying that the drive needs to be formatted Uh no thanks I ve tried the drive on computers My new desktop running Windows my netbook running Windows XP and an old desktop that runs XP Same behavior on all of them I ve tried using the program DataRecovery to see if it worked on the external hdd but it gave me the error quot Data error cyclic redundancy check quot What should I do Thanks in advance Sorry if I ve left out anything important nbsp

A:WD Passport 120GB external HDD - can't access files

All the stuff we learn after the fact ..

in the future, in my opinion, don't trust your backup files on portable, bus-powered USB drives. Get a external USB drive that 1) has its own power cable - these are "self-powered" not bus-powered and 2) is going to sit on your desk and not be constantly moved, stirred and shaken!

That said, self-powered USB drives (especially those WD passport) can only draw power over the USB port and sometimes require more power from the usb port then they should (which can cause problems).

You can try connecting to a self-powered hub (one that can supply power from its own AC adapter) or try a USB Y cable that can provide extra power to the drive by using 2 ports. (something like THIS)

Hopefully, your problem will be solved by providing extra power to the drive. tho of course sometimes the drive itself is just failing. best of luck

/* EDIT */
OH. The 2nd bit of important advice re: backups... Remember that ANYTHING (even reliable hardware) can fail. Always keep 2 copies of important files backed up on physically separate media

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wd-passport-120gb-external-hdd-cant-access-files.165259/
Relevancy 16.77%

Hi,
Last night when I logged in to Rapidahare, I realised all or most of my files were gone, and there are some important files I need to retrive it, and I had already contacted Rapidshare about this, their reply was :

However, maybe you find the files in the Trash Folder in your account. If they
are deleted, there is no way to recover deleted files.

I'm sorry for the inconvenienc

can anyone tell me how to retrive the files and to find out the date the files were deleted? or also the ip address

help help

A:I lost most of my files stored at Rapidshare. How do I get them back?

Maybe one of your family or friends that you share data with deleted your files...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-lost-most-of-my-files-stored-at-rapidshare-how-do-i-get-them-back.165266/
Relevancy 17.2%

Hi all. I am a photographer. Usually I do all files back up. However this ones I didn't. I woke up in the morning and BUM. Files were no longer on my drive. I have not used the drive since then, but need to know what file recovery software would be the best to recover them?

RG

A:Recovering missing files

rgboy said:

Hi all. I am a photographer. Usually I do all files back up. However this ones I didn't. I woke up in the morning and BUM. Files were no longer on my drive. I have not used the drive since then, but need to know what file recovery software would be the best to recover them?

RGClick to expand...

u could try the program called recuva, u can dl it here http://download.cnet.com/Recuva/3000-2242_4-10753287.html and give it a shot =P

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/recovering-missing-files.165246/
Relevancy 24.94%

Hello everybody I am trying to build my first PC and I encountered some problems Any help is greatly appreciated Hardware CASE PSU iCAN PE- Mid ATX Case with W Power Supply CPU AMD Phenom II X Black Edition W Quad Core Socket AM GHz Mb Cache MHz HT nm HDZ FBGMBOX MOBO Gigabyte GA-MA LMT-S Socket AM AMD G SB Chipset ATI Radeon HD Graphics Dual-Channel DDR Mhz - Channel HD Audio Gigabit LAN x SATA Gb s x USB Micro fan LED nothing CPU New + works else powers build, up, ATX RAM G-Skill GB DDR MHz sticks of ram so GB total VIDEO Asus EAH SILENT DI GD LP ATI Radeon HD Chipset MHz GB Mhz GDDR Dual Display DVI HDMI D-Sub PCI-Express New build, CPU fan + LED powers up, nothing else works Graphics Card Problem Computer powers up CPU fans spin HDD and CD drives both power up Monitor is a blank screen and power light on the monitor keeps flashing like its sleeping Also there are no beeps What I tried - Made sure motherboard was sitting on pegs properly no short anywhere - Removed the RAM no beeps - Removed the CMOS battery and put it back in no luck - Reseated processor checked for bent pins - Monitor VGA cable works using it right now - Removed Video card and I m using on board VGA now At this point I am fresh out of ideas and I really dont want to think the motherboard or CPU is fried Any ideas would be greatly appreciated and thank you to all responders in advance nbsp

A:New build, CPU fan + LED powers up, nothing else works

The thing that really sticks out for me is your power supply. If this came with the case be aware that with few exceptions most are junk. And with your hardware list I am highly doubtful you have enough power.

Utilize the following: http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Also, did you disable the onboard video in your BIOS since you have a video card installed?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-build-cpu-fan-led-powers-up-nothing-else-works.164546/
Relevancy 16.77%

Hello, when i plugged in my memory stick this morning to finish off the last of my college work and to back it u to my computer i was greeted with all of my folders and files names being changed and unable to open any of them, is there a solution to fix all this as there is my years worth of college work on here. Also when I try to scan and fix my memory stick and attempt to recover bad sectors it stops and says "Windows cant check the disc while its in use" and asks if i want to force dismount.
I have no idea how to resolve this and would appreciate any help at all as my assignments have to be in for Tuesday. Thank you.

A:Need help with memory stick thats changed all my folders and files

Welcome to Techspot.

Have you tried this?

http://serverfault.com/questions/11...t-unmount-a-physical-hard-drive-in-windows-xp

You can find more informations from here too: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/chkdsk.mspx
More info too: http://www.computerhope.com/chkdskh.htm

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-with-memory-stick-thats-changed-all-my-folders-and-files.164559/
Relevancy 16.77%

since files from appearing Video pixelated stored most of the games that i used to install ran too slowly i tried using Gamebooster for optimizing performance while gaming After the st try when i switched back to normal mode from gaming mode all my video files are appearing in- what i think is- low resolution The BR rips especially are appearing too thatched Video from stored files appearing pixelated pixelated and also a little burnt I have attached a few images to help visualize what s happening I tried restarting the system changing the monitor settings and reinstalling the graphic drivers Nothing worked What could be the issue I suspect the gamebooster software to be the culprit as this started only after i ran the s w but i cannot find anything that has been tweaked Please help Any inputs will be appreciated my system specs are Intel dual core GHz desktop NVIDIA GeForce GS MB graphics card gb ddr sdram Microsoft Windows XP professional SE Seagate gb SATA hd P S - All other graphics are perfectly alright Even the youtube videos run perfectly nbsp

A:Video from stored files appearing pixelated

Use System Restore to go back to before you installed gamebooster.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/video-from-stored-files-appearing-pixelated.163928/
Relevancy 17.2%

Guys, I Just bought this USB. (Kingston data traveller 4gb) After buying the USB, i put some files in it and then removed it from the laptop properly. But when I put it back, the files are gone! But when I checked the properties, the used space is still the same but I can't seem to see the files I put in there! I tried putting a single picture in the usb and removed it, when i put I plugged it in the laptop, the image is still the there but the previous files I put there was really gone! Crap, I really need those files. Help please. Thanks.
additional info:BTW, I've tried searching the web and it seems that i'am not alone!

and also, every file i put into the folder i made keeps on disappearing whenever I remove the usb and put it back again. T_T

A:Lost files on USB drive

Hey guys, problem solved. All I had to do was format the USB. And I also tried to recover my files using EASEUS but no luck. My files are gone forever. But at least I've learned my lesson, Always back-up your files. My USB is fixed but my files are gone.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lost-files-on-usb-drive.163268/