Windows Support Forum

Changing normaltextfont to Normal Style in Word 2000

Q: Changing normaltextfont to Normal Style in Word 2000

I'm editing a document using Word 2000 and am having problems changing portions of text that is assigned as "normaltextfont" style to "normal". I've tried highlighting the passages, going up to the Style pull down menu and clicking on "Normal" but it doesn't work. The passage stays as "normaltextfont". Anyone know if this is possible?

I tried to look for something in Word that will "Show Code" or something to delete it (like WordPerfect), but I can't get rid of this.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Changing normaltextfont to Normal Style in Word 2000

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Changing normaltextfont to Normal Style in Word 2000

Try using Default Paragraph Font instead...please let me know.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-normaltextfont-to-normal-style-in-word-2000.256115/
Relevancy 82.13%

Hello I am editing formatting a document in Word though it s being saved as a doc -compatible format for our Normal to Style 2007 Bullet Word Reverts client There is a style called quot Bullet quot that is used for the bullets throughout the document There are second-level bullets also throughout the document Currently they are also styled with quot Bullet quot but have been set to show up as second-level bullets I want to create a new style for these bullets in case something happens to the main quot Bullet quot style or we need to make a mass-change to the second-level bullets Normally to do this I would simply put my cursor on one of the second-level bullets and create a new style we ll call it quot Bullet quot based off of my selection When I do this it creates the style in the style list but it automatically reverts my selection to quot Normal quot If I re-select it and apply quot Bullet quot to the text again it will not work If I select another area of random text in the document and try to style it as quot Bullet quot it also reverts to Normal I ve tried to clear all styles on the line and then style it as quot Bullet quot but that doesn t work either I ve looked all around in Word 2007 Bullet Style Reverts to Normal the Modify style area for clues but everything looks fine I ve looked in the advanced compatibility options of word and I found something that says quot Use normal style for bulleted or numbered lists quot but checking unchecking it doesn t do a thing I ve had this randomly happen in other documents before too but I can never figure out what s going on Does anyone have any ideas nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/word-2007-bullet-style-reverts-to-normal.902128/
Relevancy 80.41%

In Windows 7 Ultimate, how do you change the Start menu to look like it does in Windows 2000? I.e. no icon, user name, list of recently run programs, etc. I prefer it when I click the Start button I see the familiar menus, such as Programs, Settings, Search, etc.

Thanks.

A:Changing the Start menu to Windows 2000 style

Not possible, in short.

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/10762-changing-start-menu-windows-2000-style.html
Relevancy 79.55%

I am running Word on quick template old 2010 Word to Apply to made documents (or normal in changes style) a PC running Windows I cannot figure out how to make changes to the quot normal quot template and have those changes apply to old word files In old versions of Windows and Office I used to be able to make changes to the normal template by going in through the Appdata and the changes that I made would be reflected in both new documents created and old documents when selecting quot normal quot as a text style However now I cannot even make changes to the normal template by going through file locations and saving changes I can only make changes to the normal quick style icon by right clicking on quot modify quot and then applying Apply changes made to normal template (or quick style) to old documents in Word 2010 all changes to quot new documents based on this template quot However this does not alter the quot normal quot quick style icon in files saved prior to making the changes to the normal template How can I get my updated normal template to apply to all documents not just new ones OR- maybe there is another solution The reason I need the normal template to apply to all documents is that in the new word Apply changes made to normal template (or quick style) to old documents in Word 2010 I cannot copy and paste and maintain source formatting even when pasting special and selecting quot keep source formatting quot The paste always takes on the destination style and if the destination style has a quot normal quot template that is different from the source quot normal quot style it automatically selects the destination style and WILL NOT keep source formatting I have several documents that were created on my computer by co-workers who did not ever change the quot normal quot template from word s defaults body style font with point spacing and thus I cannot get any of my new documents or old documents from word and before to copy into these documents without changing style to reflect word s default normal style without going in and changing the normal quick style for that page of course- which I do not want to do for every single document Is there another way to get around the source formatting block The only solution I could find is that the normal styles have to be the same for it to paste properly And so that is why I was looking for a solution to creating a normal template that applies to all word documents And I do not want to paste as picture or HTML or something because it needs to be editable still Any suggestions nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/apply-changes-made-to-normal-template-or-quick-style-to-old-documents-in-word-2010.1031006/
Relevancy 79.12%

Is there a way to dictate, in Microsoft Word 2010, that any newly-created document will have my own Style in place as the default one, or whatever the term might be, if anything, that decides what the starting set-up is? It's currently the font Calibri, size 11, 10.5 Multiple line spacing, 1" margins on all sides, etc. My preferences are different in every way, so I manually change all of that every time I make a new document.

A:Changing the default Style in Microsoft Word 2010?

Have you tried changing the normal template? I was able to find directions on how to find that for 2003 here, but it's the same process for 2007 and I would imagine 2010. I don't have 2010 on this computer to double check.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/351115/changing-the-default-style-in-microsoft-word-2010/
Relevancy 79.12%

I have created a Word document in Word 2002 and saved it as
a "Word 97-2002 & 6.0/95-RTF" file. I opened this file
successfully in Word 2000, but when I go to print the
document in Word 2000 I received an error message -
"Invalid Style Name".

Does anyone know why I am getting this error message and
how I might be able to resolve this issue.

Thanks.

A:Invalid Style Name (Word 2000)

Hit your style dropdown and see what the style names are. Anything weird? With symbols or anything?

Send the file if you want:

[email protected]

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/invalid-style-name-word-2000.94711/
Relevancy 79.12%

I often cut-n-paste text from web pages into a word doc. The problem I keep running into is that I have to update the style and it won't change. example:
after cut-n-pasting some text into my doc the style is html or code1. I now select the text and then select style Normal from the Style pull down menu, but the Normal style won't overwrite the exisitng style. I can't even change it to any style in my pull down list.
It appears the text is somehow "locked" into a style. How do I change the style of the text?
thanks,
styx

A:Word 2000 - Style locked

any chance u can attach the doc file just to see what u mean ?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/word-2000-style-locked.333579/
Relevancy 78.26%

I am using Windows Vista (fully updated with SP2) and when I start Word 2007 the Style Set looks like Word 2007 but when I go to Change Styles, Style Set it appears that nothing is selected, i.e. there is no tick by Word 2007. If I change the Style Set to any of those listed the Default Language changes from English (United Kingdom) to English (United States).

I've used the Control Panel to check that the languange for my system and keyboard is English (United Kingdom).

It appears that I am not the only one who has a problem like this (http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-3798232.php), and its a really annoying one.

Please help!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/243346/default-language-changes-when-changing-style-sets-in-word-2007/
Relevancy 78.26%

I recently attempted to change my default theme style in MS Word 2007. There's a pull down menu on the right of the header menu in which to do that. However, whenever I click on it to change the default to something else it never takes. It doesn't appear to work when I do it in options either. It just stays as: Cambria (Headings) font, size 11, in the so-called 'normal' theme, with 10pt multiple spacing. It's useless to me in this default mode. Is there something I'm not doing, or is there a better way to do it?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ms-office-word-2007-changing-default-style-and-theme.547727/
Relevancy 73.96%

Hi guys I have a MS Word document with a table of content showing levels of titles The problem is that the table of content shows when I update it some parts of the body text It is more precisely some titles of figures tables etc I have the feeling Word interpret them automatically as heading style even they are in style normal Maybe because they are centred I select the title of the figure then I click on - clear formating or - i select normal style again or - i select references then add text and select option do not show in table of content each time the title disapear from the TOC immediately Then I save the document but when i re-open it the title is present again in the table of content i ve tried saving the document in both doc or docx same result Any idea what is going on thank you in advance for your reply nbsp

A:"Normal" style text permanently in table of content in MS Word 2007

The biggest thing I dislike about Word (any version) is all the automatic stuff it's by default set to do. The worst is the "Autoformat as you type" feature. Have you checked the settings there?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/normal-style-text-permanently-in-table-of-content-in-ms-word-2007.925655/
Relevancy 73.96%

From time to time, when I close a document in Word 2003, I'm asked if I want to save the changes in normal.dot, when I don't recall having made any. What causes this? Is there any way to see what changes it's talking about?

A:Word 2003: Is something changing normal.dot?

A number of things could do it -

Did you copy and paste from a different document, and include the style?
Did you change the indent or a tab setting?
Did you change margins?

In other words, did you change ANYTHING from the original .dot style settings?

If so, there you are. If not, then I'm not sure!

Regards,
GEWB

http://www.sevenforums.com/microsoft-office/395170-word-2003-something-changing-normal-dot.html
Relevancy 72.67%

I see that this topic has been addressed previously, but none of the suggestions have solved my problem--perhaps someone has another idea?

I use Word 2000 in Windows XP Home Edition 5.1. Although I sit in Canada, I want English UK as my default language setting when I open new documents. I have tried to modify Normal.dot with "set language-default", and receive a warning that "all documents will open in English UK," when I do so, but the very next document I open opens in English US, despite the warning.

Assuming that I must be modifying the wrong Normal.dot, I have searched for another to no avail. I have tried renaming my Normal.dot to Abnormal.dot, relaunching Word and deselecting all Autocorrect features, then resetting the language, as suggested, but this only applies in the new document that opens, not in the template.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Anahid

A:Changes to Normal.dot in Word 2000

Hi Anahid_ha,

Setting Normal.dot to English means that all NEW documents based upon that will use English; this will not affect existing documents created in another language.

Likewise any new documents based upon another template will use the language of that template; to change that template edit / select all the text and change the language as well then save it to your templates location.

Similarly, to change the language of an existing doc, select all the text first.

Word tries to be clever, in the language setting you will have seen auto detect, this will determine the language automaticallly.

After changing the language , do a spell check to find any 'foreign' words.

HTH

Hew

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changes-to-normal-dot-in-word-2000.454305/
Relevancy 72.67%

I have had a search of the forum and can't find a solution to this, so apologies if it is a known / obvious fix for the experts!

I have created a document in Word 2000 that includes some "Windings" symbols. In opening the document on other machines in Word 97, some of them have changed font colour and turned into "Wingdings 2" and others have remained in "Wingdings" but changed font colour.
Wingdings is definitely an installed font on the machines I have tried, and it appears to be a consistent change on those different machines (i.e. replaced characters are the same and colour changesare the same).
[We are all appear to be using the same printer drivers and are using Windows 98]
Thoughts
Craig

A:Changing symbol font from Word 2000 to Word 97

Slight error in the above. Gone back to original machine and checked document. When opening in Word 97 the font isn't actually changing as I did use "Wingdings 2" in the original anyway, but clolours are changing and the actual symbol used in "Wingdings 2" has changed.

So basically the two problems are:

1 - font colours are changing on all the symbol font characters (whether "Wingdings" or "Wingdings 2").
2 - a different symbol is being used for those in "Wingdings 2" on the Word 97 machines.

Craig

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-symbol-font-from-word-2000-to-word-97.286811/
Relevancy 72.24%

When I open Word 2000 I get a document with printing already in it. It's the same each time. I have tried to find the Normal.dot template and cannot--maybe because before I found and deleted them because I was told that it would solve my problem. It didn't! I tried to use seach for a document named Normal.dot and nothing was found. How do I find it and then get it back to where it should be??

A:Normal Template in Word 2000

Whenever Word runs and finds no "normal.dot" it creates a new clean one.

From your description you cannot have deleted the active normal.dot as the old one is plainly being used.

Please remember it is marked as a "hidden or system file", so you have to enable the viewing of those files or it will remain invisible.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/normal-template-in-word-2000.632804/
Relevancy 72.24%

I would like to change the settings for the font in the normal templet. How can I do this?
The normal templet in this machine will change the type and size of the font every other line when the previous line was ended with a space or the line has a space included. If there is no space the font stays the same.

Relevancy 72.24%

Hi fokes.

This is a common problem, I think, and I think I've already fixed it myself, but can't for the life o' me remember what I did...

I have a user who is randomly prompted to save changes to Normal.dot about 46 times when she quits Word. The answers in MS KB Q241763 didn't help because they don't apply (save prompt turned off, no stamps.com, no Word in Works Suite), and my searches of this forum didn't turn anything up.

I know you're out there somewhere, Dreamboat. Not to the exclusion of others, of course.

Thanx for all.

------------------
n'backupd'othahside |-->
---------------------

A:Word 2000 Normal.dot prompt

Thanks for your faith, Down, but I'm not sure about this one.

Possibility 1: normal.dot is in STARTUP folder (also?)?

Possibility 2: user has normal.dot on network drive (not a good idea)?

Possibility 3: user has a date in the footer or other updateable field in normal.dot?

Alternative thing to try:

With Word closed, rename the following key in the registry to OldWord:

hkey_current_user\software\microsoft\office\9.0\word

Relaunch Word, they will lose certain settings. Good luck! Lemme know.

------------------
~dreamboat~
Brainbench MVP for Microsoft Word
Brainbench

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/word-2000-normal-dot-prompt.37829/
Relevancy 72.24%

So, I actually found this forum while looking for fixes for my Word 2000 program. What I'd discovered was that the problem I was having was apparently a very common. Word won't fully boot up when you start it, just sitting on its splash logo. I learned that it could be fixed by just renaming or deleting normal.dot, so I tried that by first renaming. Nothing. So I tried deleting it instead. Still nothing. Now, not only is Word still just sitting on itself, but it isn't making a new normal.dot like it was supposed to in the first place.

Any ideas on what the cause of this might be and what I can do to fix it?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/word-2000-wont-make-a-new-normal-dot.1049527/
Relevancy 71.38%

Hi.
I have customised some of the toolbars in MS Word, to add things such as a Page Setup button, line spacing, WordArt etc, but occasionally it resets itself.
It comes up with a message saying:
"Word has automatically updated the Normal template. Do you want to open it?" or something simmilar. Whether I say Yes or No, it still resets it.

After it happens, I have to go and re-customise my toolbars in a Word file, and also re-enter and save my e-mail signature (MS Outlook is using Word as the e-mail editor).

This is very annoying - can I make Word ask permission to update the Normal template so that I can bypass this? Or does it need to be repaired / reinstalled?

Thanks,
Gram

Relevancy 70.95%

My PC that is running windows xp, its toolbar is changing from the orginal XP style to the alternative classical style. How and what is causing this to happen?

A:XP style toolbar is changing to classical style?

Hello and Welcome to TSF

Quote:

This has to do with a Policy setting made either via gpedit.msc or manually via the registry. The side effects are that Windows and Buttons are greyed out under Desktop Properties/Appearance and the check box under System Properties/Advanced/
Performance/Settings that reads: Use visual styles on windows and buttons, does not remain checked. This edit corrects that behavior. Download and apply either one on line 214, they are the same edit.

Windows/Buttons Greyed Out under Appearance and/or Windows XP Style Changes to Windows Classic (Line 214) http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Other checkpoints:

1. Right click the My Computer icon/Properties/Advanced/Performance/Settings. Verify that: Use visual styles on windows
and buttons is checked.
2. Windows Explorer/Tools/Folder Options/View. User Common Tasks in Folders.
3. Right click the Desktop/Properties/Appearance. Windows and Buttons choose: Windows XP style.
4. Start/Administrative Tools/Services. Scroll down to Themes and verify that the service is started.

Troubleshooting Themes in Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_t.htm#themes

Why does Windows XP Style change to Windows Classic Style?
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/top10faqs2.htm

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/xp-style-toolbar-is-changing-to-classical-style-153509.html
Relevancy 68.37%

Word 2000 default font is Times New Roman 12.
How can it be changed to, say, Georgian, Courier New, or other fonts & the size you want for it?

Relevancy 68.37%

How can I set Word 2000 so that when I start a new document, it will automatically be in Print layout?
Dave Spilkia

A:Changing default layout in Word 2000

First open the new doc, then make sure you have it in print layout - go to file | page setup and adjust to whatever way you want regarding the margins, font, etc. then hit default. I did this and all my new doc's open the way I want. Hope this is what you want.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-default-layout-in-word-2000.89510/
Relevancy 68.37%

I m working with a file in which somebody created headers that are the same width as the text the whole page width minus some margins On the right side of the header there s a Rev number and date of that header MS-Word-2000 width changing page But the person who designed this apparently didn t realize that the header is MS-Word-2000 changing header width duplicated on all pages or else didn t care The Rev number really wants to go with that page so that different pages can have different revs Duh Yes I know about Track Changes but this needs government approval from an org that doesn t understand electronic manuals They want paper so we use paper So my idea is to move the right boundary of the header to the left and keep the page number in the header and then put the revision code and date to the right of the right boundary of the header box so it s not part of the header And yes I know about the problem of flowing text if we insert or delete a paragraph so the text expands or contracts that s another problem But when I double-click on the header to get into edit-header mode it won t let me go into the graphics mode to grab the dashed-outline of the right header boundary and move it How do I change the header size and do you have any better idea for being able to make a per-page header of per-page editable text next to the real header Also there s a fat horizontal line same width as the header box at the bottom of the header that I can move up and down but I can t shrink It s like the picture editing tools are disabled somehow except for that one operation TIA nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ms-word-2000-changing-header-width.819335/
Relevancy 67.51%

Hi all, just 2 weeks back i've come across a new problem in Word2000. I've a friend try to change the font sizes in Word 2000 when using Arabic Fonts. But she is unable to do that. But if she were to try changing the Arabic Fonts size in Excel 2000, she will be able to do that. I've tried logging on as another user id (Windows 2000) but the problem persist.

Have also tried to repair office, un-install/re-install office, re-create a new profile for her, but nothing seems to work.

Any ideas?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-arabic-font-size-in-word-2000-pro.194227/
Relevancy 66.65%

Am using Word 2000 and want to permanently change the default 24 pt margin setting for page borders to 31 pt, to avoid the continual "out of printable area" problem with the HP colour inkjet printer we're using.

Have tried opening normal.dot, changing settings to 31 pts and saving (using >Format >Borders and Shading >Page Border >Options), but it always reverts to 24 pt.

It is getting kind of frustrating having to continually change this for every new document we create.

Any thoughts?

A:Word 2000: Changing 24pt page border margin

Create another template?
Or, create a macro that does it for you? You can likely record that one...
Need help?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/word-2000-changing-24pt-page-border-margin.235682/
Relevancy 64.5%

Hey guys, I had problems with spyware a month or so ago (it appears to be fixed now) and my display was automatically set from the windows XP type display (e.g. http://www.petri.co.il/images/tour.jpg ) to the 'Windows Classic Style' (e.g. http://www.tgtsoft.com/images/prod_stylexp_faqs_vs1.jpg ) Naturally I went to Display Settings to change it back to the XP style, but when I go to the appearance tab and click 'Windows and buttons:' drop-down, the only option now is 'Windows classic style' - no 'Windows XP Style' option! Can anyone offer some help? I really want my display to look like I'm running on windows xp rather than 95 lol! Thanks for any insight guys n girls.

A:Problems Changing 'windows Classic Style' To 'windows Xp Style'

Hi there,

In Display Properties, there is also a Windows XP setting under the Themes tab. Choose it from the drop down, and save it. then go back and check under Appearances to see if the Windows XP option is back. You may want to see if your Start Menu is also in Classic, right-Click the Start button, click properties, and adjust accordingly.

Hope this helps,

nos

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44211/problems-changing-windows-classic-style-to-windows-xp-style/
Relevancy 63.21%

I am unable to view diagrams in normal view. Application is Word 2003 9.0.6926 SP3

Print Layout view is fine.

In the format Object -> Layout -> Wrapping Style (inline with Text) is greyed out.

Printing of the document is also fine..it's just the problem with Normal view.

Also, seems like I keep losing the positioning of the picture (network diagram created using autoshapes and MS Draw)

The above problem is not document specific but reflects in all docs files.

Also, in another document, when I double click embedded equations (written using equation editor on another PC), equation editor doesn't launch itself neither is there any error message. This problem is document specific.

Anyone..any ideas?? Please advise!!

A:Unable to view pictures in Normal view - Word 2000

Magnet said:

I am unable to view diagrams in normal view. Application is Word 2003 9.0.6926 SP3

Print Layout view is fine.

In the format Object -> Layout -> Wrapping Style (inline with Text) is greyed out.

Printing of the document is also fine..it's just the problem with Normal view.

Also, seems like I keep losing the positioning of the picture (network diagram created using autoshapes and MS Draw)

The above problem is not document specific but reflects in all docs files.

Also, in another document, when I double click embedded equations (written using equation editor on another PC), equation editor doesn't launch itself neither is there any error message. This problem is document specific.

Anyone..any ideas?? Please advise!!Click to expand...

I had problems with pictures not getting displayed at all. I could only see blank screen and ocassional picture. This problem was solved by reducing the hardware accelaration. This can be done by display properties->settings->troubleshoot->hardware acceleration. Try lowering it to halfway or less and see if this solves the problem. It solved my problem.

Sami

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/unable-to-view-pictures-in-normal-view-word-2000.453396/
Relevancy 61.92%

I have a Dell XPS 400 computer with MS Office 2000 Professional installed. Orginally, my Outlook 2000 had "style" set to Normal as default. Things got messed up and the default setting for style was changed to Paragraph. I re-installed Outlook 2000 and the default setting stayed at Paragraph. I have tried to reset the default setting from Paragraph to Normal. I can't figure out how to make that happen. Several of my friends have tried and failed.

This is very annoying to have to change style from paragraph to normal everytime I write an e-mail.

Can someone tell me how to change the Default settings for Style to normal? Thank you in advance.

The TomatoCageGuy.

Relevancy 61.92%

Is there a way to change the default style for all emails I create whether new or replies?

Somehow, my default paragraph got set to 0 leading, so I have to insert blank lines between paragraphs. When people reply, most of the time my text is converted to the default 6pt leading, so my messages have large blocks of white space.

I was able to change the default for new messages I create. I clicked on the Format Text tab, the Styles dialog, and then the Manage Styles button. I modified the line spacing and saved the template telling it to use it for all new documents.

But it doesn't work for replies. If I reply to a message, the Spacing Before setting is zero. If I change it, it is changed for that message, but the next reply is back to zero leading.

Help?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/580326/how-to-change-the-outlook-2007-normal-style/
Relevancy 60.2%

sometimes it looks like this

and sometimes it looks like this

but the setting are the same

A:changing clock style

If you have the taskbar at default location at the bottom of the desktop and set the taskbar to use small icons, which makes the taskbar skinnier, it won't show the date below the time on the taskbar. In order to show the date and time, you need to uncheck "Use small Icons". Is that what you mean?

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/30299-changing-clock-style.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Hello.

I was trying to configure Word 2000 to send email, but I can't seem to find the means to configure the bloody thing. I have tried help files, but wasn't much help.

Anybody plz?

Thanks.

A:Microsoft Word 2000 aka MS Word 2000 - Sending Email - Need Help Configuring

Word itself does not send (or receive) e-mail messages. You may configure Word to be your e-mail editor, but it still requires an e-mail program (such as MS Outlook) to send messages.

You can send e-mails from within Word by using File, Send To, Mail Recipient (or Mail Recipient as Attachment), but this still uses Outlook to do the sending and receiving.

Gram

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/microsoft-word-2000-aka-ms-word-2000-sending-email-need-help-configuring.91776/
Relevancy 59.34%

I have a decent sized music collection I've aquired over the last several years. My preferred bitrate is 128 kbps (provides good audio quality versus file size). Problem is, there is quite a lot of songs that either through my carelessness (not paying attention to WMP settings mainly) are of higher bitrates. I REALLY don't want to go back and re-rip all these songs just to get the lower bitrate and the large amount of space I'd free up (my MP3 player is getting crammed). Is there a program (that works in the way MP3 Gain works) where I can select the bitrate I want and it'll convert my songs?
Thanks

A:Changing MP3 bitrates, batch style

You could use the MP3 writer plug-in for WinAmp and simply play them all, that will do the trick.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-mp3-bitrates-batch-style.587201/
Relevancy 59.34%

I have 3 user accounts set op on my computer that i use for different things. When i turn on the computer it comes to the lock screen and then i have to unlock it and then i have to click back before i am taken to the 3 accounts. I want to have it start up and i want there to be no lock screen or default account. I just want it to come to the 3 accounts so i can click on one.

A:Help changing the login style for windows 8.1

I think that this will happen if you shutdown your computer and then start that u will get 3 accounts to choose from. Shutdown is compulsory.
If you just sleep or lock the machine, it will by default open up the account of last account you were using. This is what i think.

http://www.eightforums.com/customization/62900-help-changing-login-style-windows-8-1-a.html
Relevancy 59.34%

How do I change this style (my pc link) to the regular windows 10 style (original link)? I couldn't find anything and did not know how else to search for answers.

The one on my pc= Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing Video Hosting
http://i63.tinypic.com/29fd0e8.jpg
The original= http://mygaming.co.za/news/wp-conten...Windows-10.jpg

Sorry if i posted this in the wrong section. Thanks in advance.

http://www.tenforums.com/customization/53960-help-changing-style-original-win10.html
Relevancy 59.34%

Since my SP1 install all text on forums etc is shown as Segoe UI, I need to alter it to a plainer font as this one is like spider tracks.

Using Home Premium 32bit +SP1.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

A:Changing System font style.

Hi Silver,

This will show you how to change most of the fonts in Vista to what you want.

Fonts - Change Default

Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/142560-changing-system-font-style.html
Relevancy 59.34%

How can you change the default Style in Word2010?

If I create my own Style and save it to the Style gallery, then I may want to have it as the default. Is there a simple way to do this?

Thanks.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-the-default-style-in-word2010.1032382/
Relevancy 58.91%

Hi there everyone I created this account just to make this - odd can't keeps no style internet, behavior Very restore! changing, post I ve searched all over the net and can t find the answer About a week ago my daily virus scan picked up some viruses malware and removed it Business as usual Then one day I reboot my laptop in the morning this is rare I usually keep the computer on for days at a time and the style is screwed up Gone from XP style to classic style or something like that At Very odd behavior - style keeps changing, no internet, can't restore! the time I didn t realise it was a style issue I just thought something screwey had heppened I tried to get online on wireless my router doesn t even have wired and when I tried to find the networks there was a great big error message saying something about there being no Wireless Zero Configuration whatever the hell that is I used system restore amd managed to make it all go away No problem About a week later it happens again But this time system restore doesn t work no matter what date I use It just says something about quot Can not complete restore quot I did some searching and managed to switch the Wireless Zero Configuration on and even change the display style back But I still can t get on the internet My wireless sees the network no problem and other computers in the room use the network with no issue It s just endlesslessly trying to acquire a network address and not doing so HELP ANYONE HELP I desperately need to get online on THAT laptop EDIT Moved from XP to Am I Infected forum Hamluis

A:Very odd behavior - style keeps changing, no internet, can't restore!

Try downloading and using the SUPERAntiSpyware Portable Scanner. you can copy it over from another computer if you need to.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/324112/very-odd-behavior-style-keeps-changing-no-internet-cant-restore/
Relevancy 58.91%

I know there is a fix somewhere, but can't find it anymore... When I went in safe mode and ran my scans, it changed the look of my XP desktop back to classic and I can't change it back through Control Panel... Can someone please pint me into the right direction...
Thanks for any help.
Tammy

Relevancy 58.91%

In 2007 I use cell styles a lot when financial modelling, however I create all of mine from scratch and delete all of the default ones. This results in there being a Normal style in "Good, Bad and Neutral" and about 25 other styles in "Custom".Is there any way to:1. Change the name of the existing categories of Cell Style?2. Add a new category of cell style?3. Create a new cell style and assign it to a category other than Custom?I know there are add-ins that enable you to do all of the above in their proprietary windows but they don't then change the Excel gallery, I need this to change as I will then be getting other people to import styles from a spreadsheet I give them and those people will not have the add-ins.Hope that makes senseThanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-excel-2007-style-gallery-possible.904160/
Relevancy 58.05%

Hello - I recently purchased a new Dell XPS 8500 system running Windows 7 and otherwise am very happy with it, with one exception: I find the default baby blue/sky blue color in Windows 7 absolutely unbearable.

I use the computer primarily for extensive photo, video and music editing, and even after a week of use simply cannot stand this light blue color - it hurts my eyes as I work. I wish I could simply change that default color to a simple gray like in Vista.

As that is no simple chore, I purchased Ave's Windows7 Style Builder but cannot for the life of me figure out how to change the default color from that baby blue to a simple gray. Any help/advice would be most appreciated. I am not looking for a fancy theme or style, but rather simply wish to get rid of that baby blue default. Thank you in advance for your assistance!

A:Changing Default Windows 7 Color with Style Builder

Welcome to the Seven Forums
1st
You need to use a copy of the aero theme to make a custom theme so you do not damage the default theme.
Look at post #38 it will show you how to start a new theme Start menu color change ??
2nd
This will be a custom theme and you will need to do 1 of these 2 ways of Enabling custom themes for it to work.
Enabling Custom Themes - Windows 7
Or
Theme - How to Apply Custom Themes
3rd
Open the new themes .msstyles up in Windows Style Builder
4th
Here is a start after you get this will help more.
Look at screenshots
Explorer & Shell > Explorer > CommandModule > <1> (edit the

image)
Explorer & Shell > Explorer > PreviewPane > <1> > <1> (edit

the image)
Explorer & Shell > Explorer > Menu Bar > Background (edit

the image)
and
Toolbars, Headers and Rebar > Rebar > Rebar (edit the

image)
they need to be to same
Explorer & Shell > Explorer > Items View > ItemsView >

FILLCOLOR:COLOR (change the color)
Explorer & Shell > Explorer > ProperTree > <2> >

FILLCOLOR:COLOR (change the color)

The 1st time you go to edit a image it will ask what image editor you want to use navigate to your editor .exe in the program file.
If you need more help let me know
Jerry

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/234162-changing-default-windows-7-color-style-builder.html
Relevancy 58.05%

I cannot seem to be able to find the location of the colour of the windows explorer "frame" (below the titlebar and surrounding the address bar and back/forward buttons) when DWM is disabled, as indicated in the attached screenshot. Obviously the reason I want to change this is because the default colour doesn't match with the titlebar colour.
I know it's possible as other themes have managed to change its colour. Any help would be much appreciated. (By the way the same thing applies in IE, if they are separate things in Style Builder please do let me know)

A:W7 Style Builder - changing explorer/IE frame colour (non-DWM)

Never mind, I found it.

If you want to know where it is, it's here:
Toolbars, headers and rebar > Rebar > Navbar > Basic > Normal/Max > Active/Inactive > Background (it's a 1x2 sized image)

As for Internet Explorer:
Fonts, colours and system metrics > Fonts & system metrics > GRADIENTACTIVECAPTION:COLOR and GRADIENTINACTIVECAPTION:COLOR

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/327737-w7-style-builder-changing-explorer-ie-frame-colour-non-dwm.html
Relevancy 58.05%

Hi guys, I recently added started using AeroVG Se7en 's transparent theme and I like it very much. But it changed something and I would like to change it back. A picture would describe it much better so here it is:

These are menus that would appear when you right click on your pinned applications. What I would like to do is to remove the black "glow" outline of the font color. Thanks in advance, and thanks for all the great threads (I've been lurking for a while)!

A:Changing taskbar right click menu's font style

You will need to ask the theme maker to change that for you it is not cool to change someone else's work.
The only other alternative is to buy Ave's Windows7 Style Builder and edit the theme.msstyles your self which is okay for personal use.
Jerry

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/201293-changing-taskbar-right-click-menus-font-style.html
Relevancy 58.05%

So I've figured out how to redefine Comma Style to the format that I want to use. But that only applies to a single workbook.

I also found instructions for how to save custom styles into a new default template. The problem here is that this only applies to new workbooks. Very rarely do I create a workbook from scratch, so this isn't much help.

I also figured out how to copy/merge custom styles from one workbook to another. But what do I do if I have hundreds of files I want this custom style to apply to?

Is there a way to redefine Excel's default definition of a given style such that it is applied universally in my local instance of the the program rather than just being file specific?

Thanks in advance!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f57/excel-2015-changing-default-style-definitions-1116041.html
Relevancy 56.76%

I would like to get vista to use the login style used in Win 2000 ... ctrl+alt+del gives a login box in which to enter the user name and password.

Win XP Pro had this option also, but, it's default was like vista (pictures showing all users).

I have been able to get the ctrl+alt+del part but instead of the login box I still get pictures.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

David

A:Change Vista Login to Win 2000 style

Hmmmm..... I managed to do that on XP, but not on Vista. It may have been entirely disabled....

Gimme one sec...

*searches* AHA
Secure CTRL+ALT+DELETE Logon

There you go. That should do it. I might use it in fact......
Thanks for making me think of it.

~Lordbob

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/204259-change-vista-login-win-2000-style.html
Relevancy 56.76%

after my laptop crashed I can't change font style or size in MS Word of Office 2000 running under windows 98. Also can't open detailed menus under some of tool bar tabs, such as Format/Style. I've removed and reinstalled Office 2000 and even reinstalled Windows 98, to no effect. Any sugggestions?

A:frozen font style in office 2000

Click on the "newsletter" link at left. Read the 3rd article of each one. Specifically, do the hard drive maintenance steps and if that doesn't work, rename your normal.dot file to normal.old and relaunch Word.

Let me know if it doesn't help.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/frozen-font-style-in-office-2000.36946/
Relevancy 56.33%

Since
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3167679 users trying to change password on Win7 get:

"The system detected a possible attempt to compromise security. Please ensure that you can contact the server that authenticated you."
Is there any registry patch that can force NTLM (disable kerberos auth), maybe similar to https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/dfd79bc1-cf36-42b7-9911-346912f4def6/windows-7-can-see-samba-shares-but-cannot-see-samba-domain?forum=w7itpronetworking
Thanks.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/6ae0b2d5-da14-4a63-8175-5e7f889b2adf/kb3167679-breaks-password-changing-on-win7-joined-in-nt-style-domain-samba-3623?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 56.33%

Hi Everyone,

I'm working on a (long) document.

For clarity, we're trying to keep it divided by headings, then have the following text surrounded by a box, and have news-paper style columns inside the box.

Is there any way to do this using the columns formatting? Or do I have to do a two column table and eye-ball for eveness (sp?) and just have transparent dividers?

As always, due by the end of the day, so any help is appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Relevancy 56.33%

Hi,

I need to check the styles used on headings, lists, etc. in a document that has hundreds of styles. In previous editions of Word, you could simply click on the relevant text and the style would appear in the formatting toolbar (just as it would display the font). In Word 2007 I can't seem to find this type of display. The closest I get is by opening the styles area, but this means having to scroll through the hundreds of styles to find the one that is highlighted. I basically need to be able to see very quickly which style has been applied - is there a way to do this in Word 2007?

Many thanks for your help.

Relevancy 56.33%

Hi everyone!!
I have merged a no of docs in to one big document. As a result, there are different fonts all over the place in thw document. Now I want to set a particular style for the entire document. I know how to do this in word 2007. But how do I do such a thing in word 2003?
Thanks in advance.

A:MS word 2003 style setting

See my extreme tutorial, sirius.

http://www.officearticles.com/tutorials/an_extreme_tutorial_on_styles_in_microsoft_word.htm

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ms-word-2003-style-setting.787599/
Relevancy 56.33%

Hello!

I'm creating a template with custom styles for a manuscript for a novel and have hit a problem; I can find no way to surround the text of this style with double quotes. I'm sure I've seen this before. Of course I can do this with a macro... is there a way to run macros from within a style?

Thanks for any help!
Rusty

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/2007-word-style-question.954927/
Relevancy 56.33%

Hello again! Seems my problems with Word 2003 lately are neverending. Now every time I double-line space after a word, the new line is in the "Heading 1" format; i.e., Bold and large. I have tried making a new normal.dot file, but to no avail. I have been trying to mess around with this for over a week now... very frustrating. Does anyone know what settings I need to use to keep this from happening?

If I don't hit the space bar after the last word in a line, then hit Enter twice, the text is normal. The Heading format only occurs when I hit the spacebar and then double line space. PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks in advance!

A:Urgent help with MS Word 2003 style

when making a new normal.dot file do you change it to defult setting before saving? or by selecting select all then while whole document is selected changing the settings

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/urgent-help-with-ms-word-2003-style.840675/
Relevancy 56.33%

I have Word 97 and I want to type an A5 booklet - can I do this? I have already typed it in table format - several columns and tables - all of which are on the left hand side of a landscape page. I thought I could just cut and paste the correct page that should appear on the right hand side but I don't sewem to be able to. Apart from buying new software please can anyone tell me is there anything I can do? Many thanks in advance.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/word-97-can-i-type-in-book-style.1002826/
Relevancy 55.9%

Hello Sir,
Please guide me through the process of changing Administrator Password of Windows 2000 Server (Where SQL 2000 Server is running having Mixed mode Authentication, with blank SA password). I have once changed it from logon screen (by pressing ctrl+alt+del). But after that my SQL server stopped running (I had blank password for SQL). I couldnot fix the error.

Please tell me both the process, to be followed, while changing Windows 2000 Server password, when the SA password of SQL is (1) Blank (2) is not Blank. Please tell me is there any step to be taken in SQL 2000 Server, after changing the password of the Windows 2000 Server Administrastor?

With alot of good wishes and thanks in advance,

Barun Kumar Tiwari
INDIA

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-windows-2000-runing-sql-2000-server-administrator-password.216532/
Relevancy 55.47%

Dear Tech Guys I have developed a template in Word and created my own styles and includes styles specifically for tables These documents are user manuals for our clients and are complete with table of contents and range from anywhere from pages to pages of content After some updating of the content is done and the time comes to do an update to the fields the entire document is selected and the F key is executed 2003 Word Style Table Corruption which updates the table of contents Word 2003 Table Style Corruption and other fields However the content in the tables are corrupted By this I mean any of the following happens or all occur The characters become condensed The characters change colour to grey which is what our headings are defined to The table rows are taller This does not always happen after an F update and the actual text content is not affected nor is any of the formatting outside the tables As I have kept older versions of the document my temporary solution each time was to delete the tables and copy and paste the old tables back into the new document An analysis testing of the table formatting show no change or rectification The font definitions within the styles I created do not have the settings to reflect the new corrupted look For example condensing is set to zero and the color is still automatic or black Rebooting the PC or or relaunching Word does not rectify the issue Copying all the styles from the actual template into the document does not rectify the issue So any suggestions you have would be great See attachment I have an example of it in the good and bad states Regards Gary nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/word-2003-table-style-corruption.935566/
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi everyone,

I been tussling with MS Word 2007 to try and create a style sheet which eventually will be used as the 'normal' template for word documents.

It has a heading numbering system which I want to have a paragraph indentation of 0.0cm but every time I modify the style and save the template the indentations for all the levels change to 0.63cm. I cannot quite understand why it does this?

If anyone can help explain why this happens your help would be appreciated because it has had me stumped for a couple of weeks now

Cheers
Lloyd

A:MS Word 2007 problem: Style sheets

Hi, Lloyd. I would say that an indent of 0.0 isn't an indent.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ms-word-2007-problem-style-sheets.791123/
Relevancy 55.47%

I'm using MS Word 2010. I've set up three levels of headings using styles. I've set them up to be:

1. HEADING
1.1 Heading
1.1.1 Heading
2 HEADING
2.1 Heading
2.1.1 Heading

And instead I'm getting:
1. HEADING
1.1 Heading
1.1.1 Heading
2. HEADING
1.2 Heading
1.1.2 Heading

What have I done wrong?

Thank you!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-ms-word-2010-using-numbering-in-style-headings.949410/
Relevancy 55.47%

Hello This is my first time posting here as usually I manage to figure problems out either myself or from reading stuff on the net but this one has me totally baffled I shall do Word New Style Using Problem in 2007 List my best to try Problem Using New List Style in Word 2007 and explain the problem as concisely as possible but it is quite complicated I have defined and saved a new numbering scheme list in Microsoft Word and added it to my Normal Template so I can import it when using it on new or existing documents It looks a bit like this ignore the underlining though - Bla bla bla Bla bla bla Bla bla bla Bla bla bla I did this in order to try and apply this style to old documents without the hassle of going through every different section and manually altering the indentations tabs etc However the problem is that when I apply the new style to an existing document it totally messes up all the existing numbering If I applied it to a document which had the numbering as I detailed above then it would just look like this - Bla bla bla Bla bla bla Bla bla bla Bla bla bla This means that I then have to go through the whole document tabbing numbers across so that they are the same as before Is there any easy way to preserve the existing list levels whilst applying the new style to format all the tabs indentations and alignments Anyone who can solve this problem will earn instant hero status Thanks Paul nbsp

A:Problem Using New List Style in Word 2007

Hm. Paul...are these documents already formatted with styles? Are the style names the SAME as the ones you are using? If so, change your style names. If no, then they're manually formatted and it doesn't matter really what you do, you'll have to go the slow road...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problem-using-new-list-style-in-word-2007.788582/
Relevancy 55.47%

After I select the lettering style and letter size in the third taskbar from the top, I want to know how to keep it that way so that it is always there when I open WORD. I just can't to find how it's done. Please help. Thanks.

A:Solved: Word-lettering style and size

What version of Word are you using?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-word-lettering-style-and-size.1018571/
Relevancy 55.47%

Greetings all I have a question that has haunted me for a while I designed a custom Quick Style Set called Lee amp It contains four styles When I create a new document and load the Quick Style Set Lee amp a whole bunch of other styles come along for the ride such as Heading Heading and Caption Word Sets Style Quick 2007 I know they aren t part of my four-style custom design These are built-in styles that come with Word Why do they automatically load with my four custom styles Word 2007 Quick Style Sets in the set How does one load the Quick Style Set quot Lee quot so that only those four styles appear in the Quick Style Gallery Also if I designed a document using quot Lee quot why doesn t quot Lee quot automatically open with the document on my system or why doesn t it travel with the document I have a senior technical writing friend who is so frustrated with Styles in Word he has retained Word citing quot Word has too much of a mind of its own Its styles are way too confusing quot Personally I defy anyone to write Word 2007 Quick Style Sets a tutorial on Word Styles that explains all these anomalies in simple terms There I feel much better now Many Word 2007 Quick Style Sets thanks in advance Lee Batchelor Technical Communications Writer STC nbsp

A:Word 2007 Quick Style Sets

In Word 2007 you can choose a ready-made quick style, or you can apply the styles you've created and saved previously. You can change the look of the styles you are using by choosing a different style set (click on Change Styles > Style Set). You can also change the Theme which drastically alters the look of the whole document by changing colour schemes, the appearance of objects (including SmartArt) and even fonts. Hovering over a style temporarily applies a Live Preview of the style, which is removed when the mouse points away. This allows users to see a preview of how the style would affect the appearance of the object, without actually applying it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/word-2007-quick-style-sets.890228/
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi - I have a situation where I want to create anumbering style, and I need to be able to insert additional items later without renumbering.
Ex.
1)Item 1
2)Item 2
3)Item 3

Oops - I have another item, on the same level, that needs to be added between 1) and 2), but I want 1)2)and 3) to keep their numbers....like this:
1)Item 1
4)Item 4
2)Item 2
3)Item 3
The document is going to be huge, so I don't want to have to scan the doc and manually renumber the inserted item. I would like the numbering scheme to just assign a number where I left off and not renumber everything.

Ideas?

Relevancy 55.47%

Dear Tech Support Guys I have developed a template in Word and created my own styles including styles specifically for tables These documents are user manuals for our clients and are complete with table of contents and range anywhere from Word Corruption Style Table 2003 pages to pages of content When the time comes to do an update to the fields the entire document is selected and the F key is executed which updates the table of contents and other fields However the content in the tables are corrupted By this I mean any of the following happens or all of the below occur The characters become condensed The characters change colour Word 2003 Table Style Corruption to grey which is what our headings are defined to The table rows are taller This does not always happen after an F update but is the result of it when it happens and the content in the body of the document is not affected nor is any of the formatting only the text in the tables As I have kept older versions of the document my temporary solution each time was to delete the tables and copy and paste the old tables back into the new document An analysis testing Word 2003 Table Style Corruption of the table formatting show not change or rectification The font definitions within the styles I created do not have the settings to reflect the current look For example under Font condensing is set to zero and the color is still automatic or black Rebooting the PC or relaunching Word does not rectify the issue Copying all the styles from the actual template using Organizer from Templates and Add-ins into the document does not rectify the issue So any suggestions you may have would be great See attachment I have an example of it in the good and bad states Regards Gary nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/word-2003-table-style-corruption.935789/
Relevancy 55.47%

Word's APA referencing is slightly different to the way I am expected to do it. ie it does not include multiple authors either in text or in the bibliography, so I am editing myself. Also it does not indent the subsequent lines. Is there a way to modify this style? thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/word-2007-apa-referencing-modify-style.910880/
Relevancy 55.04%

I would like the first and last elements in my bulleted list - which is formatted with the List Paragraph style - to be well spaced from the rest of the text (what's above and below it, formatted with the Normal style). However, setting values for the Spacing Before and Spacing After parameters under List Paragraph|Modify Style|Format|Paragraph, only spaces the *first* element of the list from the preceding paragraph, and leaves the last element of the list unspaced from the following, Normal-styled paragraph. It's only if I use direct formatting on the last paragraph of the list that I get the desired result, i.e. if I select the last element of the list, go to Paragraph Settings and set the value for Spacing After parameter. Can anyone help with doing this by altering the List Paragraph style rather than using direct formatting? THanks! PS: using Word 2007

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ms-word-list-paragraph-style-does-not-follow-value-of-spacing-after.805242/
Relevancy 55.04%

Using Word 2002. In a Normal template, when I'm wring and starting a new paragraph, Word automatically puts in 'First Line 0.21 cm Left Indent' formatting. I bring up 'styles and formatting' and right click on the offending formatting. I choose 'delete' and the formatting still remains in the pane.
I would appreciate any suggestions for removing this. Thanks in advance.

Stephen.

A:Word 2002 - unable to remove indent style

Sounds like your normal.dot file is wonky. Close Word, search for all normal.dot files (they are hidden), and delete them. Reopen Word, and it will create a new normal.dot file that should not have your problem.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/word-2002-unable-to-remove-indent-style.963780/
Relevancy 55.04%

Hi Everyone I am having trouble with my thesis template I was given - I am using Word I am using the MS 2003 list problem Multilevel - style Word Heading Heading etc styles for my MS Word 2003 - Multilevel list style problem chapters and sub section titles My first chapter numbers them fine for example Heading MS Word 2003 - Multilevel list style problem style being the chapter title Heading style being the Sub sections Chapter title Sub section one Sub section two etc MS Word 2003 - Multilevel list style problem However when I get to chapters after chapter it does not format the way I want For example Chapter title Sub section one Sub section two etc It does not restart the Heading style to and it just continues on from the last sub section in the previous chapter How do I get it to start at I know if I format the Chapter as a numbered list it will number correctly for example quot Chapter title quot but that quot quot is against formatting standards in my thesis and soon as I delete the quot quot it changes the Heading numbering to X How do I fix this problem to restart the numbering with the proper number for heading style without making the Heading a numbered list I am aware that there is a way to restart the numbering in but that is unfortunately not an option for me Thanks nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ms-word-2003-multilevel-list-style-problem.732617/
Relevancy 55.04%

Hello Everyone,
I'm in the process of formatting an instruction manual for publishing in Word '07. Having recently upgraded from OpenOffice.org to Office 2007 Ultimate, I'm experiencing difficulty with one element of the required manual design: images must be framed with a light gray border - ideally, with rounded corners - and a "flag" along the bottom (containing a caption; this is reminiscent of a polaroid instant). I need Word to generate this effect automatically; I can't manually make a differently sized frame for each image. Any ideas? (The attached image shows the design.)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/polaroid-style-image-captions-in-word-2007.884943/
Relevancy 54.61%

I have set my word's toolbar normal.dot on my dsktp from <app data> & copied it to my lptp's <app data>.

When I open word on each pc, I get a different toolbar. All I want is the same toolbar on both pc's.

This is the simplest way I can describe it as I have tried many combinations & permutations.
If more info is needed, I'll be glad to post along with any pix.

http://www.sevenforums.com/microsoft-office/376825-w7-pro-word-03-normal-dot-wont-trans-lptp-w7-pro-word-03-a.html
Relevancy 54.61%

Hello I found a thread in here that was similiar to my problem but the solution did not resolve my issue Issue I am trying to save a set of formatting styles as a custom style set and then share that with my team so that we all use the same heading outline spacing etc However when sending my quot style guide quot to my team the custom styles I created are visible in their Sets - & Issues 2007 Word Style - Styles Sharing style gallery but when they apply the style set the formatting reverts to Word standard formats Steps to create custom styles and a custom style set Open a new word document Type in a word change font to Calibri size to bold Highlight the word right-click choose Paragraph choose some line spacing settings anything as long as it is different than standard and save Highlight word right-click click on styles click on Save Selection Issues - Word 2007 - Sharing Styles & Style Sets As A New Quick Style Repeat Issues - Word 2007 - Sharing Styles & Style Sets this process for a few more styles if you want Click on Change Styles Style Set Save As Quick Style Set name the style and save Now after this you have a new style set with your custom quick styles in the style gallery To create the issue I am having do the following Go to a different computer open Word and a new Issues - Word 2007 - Sharing Styles & Style Sets document Type in a word Apply one of the styles or style sets Result The formatting for the word you typed will revert to formatting that you did not define in your quick styles Can anyone help me out I find this functionality incredibly frustrating as it seems very simplistic but has been stumping me and several co-workers nbsp

A:Issues - Word 2007 - Sharing Styles & Style Sets

ScottGF - Try this on your team's computers:
Go to the Microsoft Office button
Choose &#8216;Options&#8217;
Choose &#8216;Add-ins&#8217; from the menu
Go to the bottom of the box where it says &#8216;Manage&#8217; next to a text box. Click the down arrow in the text box and choose &#8216;Templates&#8217; and choose &#8216;Go&#8217;
Two or three lines from the top of the next box it should say &#8216;Automatically update document styles&#8217;. If there is a check mark in that box, remove it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/issues-word-2007-sharing-styles-style-sets.812077/
Relevancy 54.61%

Hello,
When we apply a picture style from the ribbon to a 'normal' picture or
clipart this works fine.
When we first create a text box and then insert a picture in this text
box, applying a picture style to this picture results in Word freezing
and crashing. Apparently this only happens on a pc with Vista, not
with XP.
(Word 2007 SP2)
Of course there are other ways to position a picture than inserting it
in a text box. I was just wondering if anyone experiences the same
problem and/or has found a solution?
tia
chris

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/word-2007-freezes-when-applying-a-picture-style-within-a-text-box.886077/
Relevancy 54.61%

Hi,

I want to print a document with booklet-style page numbering; ie. odd pages have numbers in bottom-right corner and even pages have numbers in bottom-left corner. Is this possible to do in Word 2007?

I am searching the posts for this topic now and haven't seen anything yet. But I only have tonight to finish this so if anyone knows how to do this your quick reply is much appreciated!

A:Solved: Word 2007 Booklet style page numbering?

Just stumbled onto this tip in case anyone else is wanting to do this:
http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/msoffice/?p=363

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-word-2007-booklet-style-page-numbering.862863/
Relevancy 53.75%

Hello everyone,

I have defined a style that emphasises the selection by indenting a few inches to the right and adding a vertical border to its left. The problem is that when I add a a bulleted list to a portion of text formatted with this style, the indentation doesn't behave the way I'd like it to. It's difficult to explain so I've uploaded this screenshot: http://imageupper.com/i/?S0800010030011U258910296988278

Can anyone help? I'd like the border to remain in the same position for normal text as well as for text in bulleted lists. Many thanks for any help.

A:Bulleted list ruins indentation defined by style (Word 2007)

etaf,
In reply to your closing of my post, I have to say that my questions indeed only appear to be identical.

In the first one I am asking whether indentation can be set relative to a previous paragraph, while in the second my question is why is the border not staying in the same place for the whole section that I apply the style to.

I hope you can help with either of these questions, or at least re-open the first one so that others may help.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/bulleted-list-ruins-indentation-defined-by-style-word-2007.879472/
Relevancy 53.75%

Hi:

My os is windows xp.

I want to change my normal template in word 2003 -- to add paragraph & space
marks, inches ....
This is what I have done and, while the change works in the short term, when
I start up the pc the next day word is back to its original state:
I navigated to:
documents & settings
username
application data
microsoft
template
right clicked to open normal.doc
made the changes and saved .. and they were gone the next day

what did I do wrong? or, what else could I try?

thanks

d

Relevancy 53.32%

I am trying to create a template with specific styling to be used by our group. Any document created with this template should be saved to a shared network folder. I'd like to know if this is possible...

When I right click on my template and choose NEW, the resulting document should use...

- the default text font face, size and colour that I specified.
- the default paragraph spacing and indentation rules that I specified.
- Default to saving at location as "Z:\Shared Info"

All help is appreciated!

A:Change default text and paragraph style + save location in Word 2007?

I would suggest 1st creating a new folder in any one of your Shared locations. Then open a new Word doc within that folder, click on the Styles icon, select any template and click on the little down-arrow to the right of the template's name, click on Modify, and set up your customized template exactly as you want it. You can also change the name of the new template to anything that you want.

When you're done customizing your template, be sure to check (at the bottom of the screen) "New documents based on this template." So long as you create any other documents within this folder, they should automatically be saved to the new folder. And just be sure that for each one, you remember to utilize your customized template.

Here's some additional help:

How to manage templates in 2007 Office programs and in 2010 Office programs
Templates -- Create Word Templates Quickly (Word 2007 but should work in Word 2010 also)
Templates -- Create Word Templates Quickly
Word Templates -- Saving Your Document as a Word Template

http://www.sevenforums.com/microsoft-office/198906-change-default-text-paragraph-style-save-location-word-2007-a.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Hi There

This is not a macro question. I have been at this for hours now with no success. I have a picture in MS word 2000. The picture is text with a box around the text. See attached MS Word 2000 file. I want to copy this picture into Excel 2000. But when I do a copy and paste, it does paste into Excel but just the box shows up and not the writing. Can someone out there copy it and paste it for me in Excel 2000 and send it to me?? I can then copy it from your Excel spread sheet into my Excel spread sheet.

Thanks for your help in this.

Mario

Relevancy 52.03%

Using Access 2000, I have a number field, formatted number....
doing a mail merge in word, causes the field which is called Dues to loose it's formatting... Word says to apply a Numeric Picture Switch...{ Dues \# $#,##0.00 } but try as I might I cannot get it to work....

So I have the Syntax wrong on something? I am in a time crunch and have to have this letter out asap am tomorrow....

What is wrong???? I did a letter like this in January and it worked fine.....Help!

Relevancy 52.03%

Up until today, i have connected to Access via ODBC, then chosen my query in Access, then used microsoft query to further filter the mail merge...

today i get an error that says Word can't reestablish a DDE connection with Microsoft Query to complete the task.

Do you know why or what happened...if you don't have time to answer, if you could just point me in the direction of a document it would be helpful.

A:HELPPPPPPPPP Access 2000 Word 2000 question

See if any of these help:

WD2000: "Word Could Not Re-Establish a DDE Connection..." Error

WD2000: ErrMsg: "Word could not re-establish a DDE connection to <Application> to complete the current task."

ACC2000: Word DDE Connection Error Using Table or Query with Quotation Marks

WD2000: Word Flashes on Windows Taskbar When You Cancel "Choose Data Source" in MS Query

WD2000: Error Message: "Word Could Not Locate or Start <path>\MSQRY32.EXE" When You Try to Use MS Query

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/helppppppppp-access-2000-word-2000-question.91039/
Relevancy 52.03%

Hi folks I have this problem that is hard to search for on Google We have a lot of word documents connected to a simpel text data file data doc that is used with mail merge Here is our process data doc is opened filled with all variablenames we can use in our documents name country etc data doc is opened filled with the actual data from a database belonging to the variables name Kees Japan etc 2007 2000 documents problem Opening correctly automation in word word Our vb net application does step and then starts a template word document which has that data doc file attached for mail merge The template is now filled in with the correct data Opening word 2000 documents correctly in word 2007 automation problem vb net application tells MS Word to print the document Works fine and we have ourselves a nice document filled in with data we specified in the vb net application Now comes the problem some new computers will have office instead of office installed during testing we have encountered that it does not error but the office installed computer does not fill in the data and just shows mergefield names lt lt name gt gt lt lt country gt gt Also when printed out So it seems like the datafile is not connected when opening the template in word If we let our vb net application show us the document visually first we can re-attach the data file again and we can print the data however there are thing wrong with this approach More user input which is not needed MS Word is opening and showing something we do not want in some cases We also automate the printing of packages which is basicly a list of different templates that needs to be printed automatically without users input Because the old computers will not be updated anytime soon to office versions we have to work some time with both systems So we cannot convert the document to word version because the office computers can t read them anymore How can I let the office read the documents with correct automatic mail merge without user input just as word does We can implement the possible solution both in the sourcecode of the vb net application as we can solve it by configuring ms office so all possibilities are welcome With kind regards nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/opening-word-2000-documents-correctly-in-word-2007-automation-problem.928530/
Relevancy 52.03%

I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right section, but please move if it isn't.

I recently read an article about how it was bad to use msconfig to control the start up processes. So, I went and changed the start up option from selective to normal. However, whenever I selected normal and pressed apply, the radio button selection would always jump back the to selective option.

Is there anywhere of making the computer boot up using the "normal" option?

A:Changing "selective" start up to "normal" in msconfig

Did you try unchecking the individual items checked...under Selective Startup...then changing to Normal?

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/317937/changing-selective-start-up-to-normal-in-msconfig/
Relevancy 52.03%

I don't know if this is a W10 stuff or something else underneath, but...

THis week, my MBAM got a bit weird, as it seemed malfunctioning. I could not update it or activate the Malicious website protection and when I tried to do a scan, it crashed. Went to Malwarebytes forum, uninstalled it and then reinstalled MBAM, and now everything is going okay.

But here is my concern. Until some point of this week, MBAE and Zemana Antilogger always started with Windows but since the first problem came up, they didn't started or appear at my System tray then I had to go then to make them work.

I don't know if this was made by any update or something underneath happened (virus or hacking). Avast or MBAM didn't showed anything that could warrant that.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/631363/changing-features-just-normal-w10-stuff-or-infectionelse/
Relevancy 51.6%

This is something that has been bugging me sense windows vista. The desktop icons are too far away from each other and I don't like the button style icons. I wish there was a way to change them to the old windows xp/win9x style icons. There must be a registry tweak or something. Maybe there is not and the only way to change it would be with reshacker. But I'd thought I would check here first.

Thanks.

A:Change desktop icons from button-style to XP/win9x style.

There are countless sites on the Web where you can download these icons. I'll let you do a Bing search to find a couple.

But, once you get them, here's a bit of info that might help you change the icons:

# You can select the picture file (that has an image file with a .bmp, .gif, .jpg, .jpeg, .jpe, .jfif, .tiff, .png, or .ico file name extension) that identifies a folder in Thumbnails view. If you do not select a picture, Windows Explorer uses the folder icon. If you do not select a folder icon, Windows Explorer automatically creates a folder picture for Thumbnails view by using a Folder.gif file in the folder or by using up to the first four image files in the folder. If the folder does not contain any images, Windows Explorer uses the default folder picture.

To find the picture that you want to use to identify the folder, click Choose Picture.

If you want Windows Explorer to use Folder.gif or the first four image files in the folder to identify the folder, click Restore Default. If the folder does not contain any images, Windows Explorer uses the default folder picture.
# Folder Icons

To select an icon to remind you of the folder's contents in Tiles, Icons, List, and Details views, click Change Icon. Thumbnails view also uses the folder icon if you do not specify a folder picture. You can select any image file that has an .ico file name extension, an icon in a program file that has an .exe file name extension, or an icon in a program library file that has a .dll file name extension to use for the folder icon. This option is not available when you customize a network share or a folder on a mapped network drive.

Note To restore the default folder icons, click Change Icon, and then click Restore Defaults.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/233112/change-desktop-icons-from-button-style-to-xpwin9x-style/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hello, I am a consultant in central Texas and I have a customer that does not recall the chronology of how he got into this situation but basically, I'll attempt to explain. He has Word 2000 installed on an XP Pro machine. He wants to do a mailing that 2000 is unable to handle. We found that 97 will do the desired process with no problem. I tried to install Word 97 to his computer but the setup program indicates that 97 is already on the machine. There is no trace of Word 97 that I can find. The customer thinks that he has vacillated between 97 and 2000 at least twice. I just want both on this machine at the same time. I could uninstall both and then reinstall 2000 then 97 and I think it will work but I was hoping to avoid the uninstalls. Any ideas?

A:Unable to install Word 97 on Word 2000 machine

It sounds like Uncle Bill left some fragments in the registry (or, hopefully, just a file used to flag Word'97's presence).

Hopefully you are using "My Documents" to save everything created in MSWord (either version); that will make it pretty easy to back up the files you don't want to take chances on. Burn a couple CDs or DVDs as needed/if available.

Check the Add/Delete Programs- to see which version/s are installed. I would uninstall each one- re-starting the computer between uninstalls.

With operating systems it makes a difference in which order they are installed; I would follow the same rule for the same reasons--- install the older one first (Word 97). Paranoia makes me want to shut down & reboot between versions. Then install Word 2000.

Good luck.
letchworth

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/unable-to-install-word-97-on-word-2000-machine.397470/
Relevancy 51.6%

One of the features I really liked in the DOS version of WordPerfect 5.1 was the ability, when highlighting, to simply type a character or string of chars. near the end of the relevant portion to be highlighted and have the program take the highlight directly there.

Can WORD 2000 do this? So far, all I can figure out is how to highlight either an entire word, sentence, or line, but none of them with the precision that WordPerfect 5.1 allowed.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

And GOBBLE-GOBBLE!!!
Iris

Relevancy 51.17%

Please help me someone I'll try to make this short but give you all the info I have a Dell Dimension running Windows Professional with Microsoft Office Prof My 2000/microsoft word 2000 help/windows problem started with Microsoft Word freezing after loading I'm able to load the program and even load a file then word freezes I have already updated amp run these programs in normal and safe mode Norton Antivirus Spybot Adaware No virus and all adware removed I've run CWShredder help/windows 2000/microsoft word 2000 amp have Spyware Blaster amp Zone Alarm running I've cleaned out my computer with CCleaner and it does not require defrag at this time As far as Microsoft Word goes it will run in safe mode and sometimes runs when I load it with the a switch but has also been freezing up when loaded on a switch I have renamed and deleted all NORMAL DOT files I have checked start-up folders in Word to remove files but there were no files to remove I have changed Word's registry Data key and Option key I have run detect amp repair in normal Word and in a switch mode I have run repair from add amp remove programs It still doesn't work I was preparing to remove amp reinstall when I decided to check for office updates I updated Microsoft Office with suggested updates from Microsoft I can't tell now what updates I loaded Now my problem is my CPU usage stays at a steady Now I don't know if this happened before or after I updated my computer I don't want to remove amp reinstall Office until I can get my CPU usage down Anybody please have any suggestions Here's my log from Hijackthis if it helps Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C winnt System smss exe C winnt system winlogon exe C winnt system services exe C winnt system lsass exe C winnt system svchost exe C winnt system spoolsv exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccEvtMgr exe C Program Files Common Files AOL ACS AOLAcsd exe C WINNT System CTsvcCDA exe C WINNT System svchost exe C Program Files Canon MultiPASS MPSERVIC EXE C Program Files Norton AntiVirus navapsvc exe C Program Files Norton AntiVirus AdvTools NPROTECT EXE C winnt system MSTask exe C WINNT system ZONELABS vsmon exe C winnt Explorer EXE C winnt wanmpsvc exe C winnt system svchost exe C winnt system devldr exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe C Program Files Canon MultiPASS monitr exe C WINNT system fxredir exe C Program Files Canon MultiPASS MPTBox exe C Program Files Zone Labs ZoneAlarm zlclient exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Works Shared WkUFind exe C Program Files Logitech MouseWare system em exec exe C Documents and Settings Claire S da Rosa My Documents hijack this Spybot - Search amp Destroy TeaTimer exe C Program Files Logitech Desktop Messenger Program BackWeb- exe C Program Files America Online aoltray exe C PROGRA COMMON AOL EE AOLHOS EXE C PROGRA COMMON AOL EE AOLServiceHost exe C Program Files Logitech Desktop Messenger - L Program sprite exe C Program Files Logitech Desktop Messenger - L Program sprite exe C Program Files Internet Explorer IEXPLORE EXE C unzipped hijackthis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyServer http R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride www direcwaysupport com localhost lt local gt O - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Reader ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO no name - - F - D - - D F - C DOCUME CLAIRE DAR MYDOCU HIJACK SPYBOT SDHelper dll O - BHO NAV Helper - BDF E -B - AD-A -FADC B - C Program Files Norton AntiVirus NavShExt dll O - Toolbar Norton AntiVirus - CDD BF- FFB- - AD - DF B D - C Program Files Norton AntiVirus NavShExt dll O - HKLM Run ccApp quot C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe quot O - HKLM Run ccRegVfy quot C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccRegVfy exe quot O - HKLM R... Read more

A:help/windows 2000/microsoft word 2000

Hello and Welcome to TSF

This will be moved to the proper location so you will get faster response

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/help-windows-2000-microsoft-word-2000-a-46445.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Hi,

I am having difficulty in getting word wrap to operate successfully.
After having entered a page of text, and inserted the picture, graphic, etc I then go to the 'edit wrap points' function which places a dotted outline around the graphic. If I then drag the graphic into place ie over the text, nothing happens.

I have also gone to the the 'Format > tight' function, but again nothing.

How do I get the text to wrap around the graphic as I intended.

I would appreciate any help.
Thanks

Jampot

A:Problems with word wrap in Word 2000

Hi,

Anybody out there able to help me with this word wrap problem as its really starting to annoy me!

Thanks
jampot

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problems-with-word-wrap-in-word-2000.146320/
Relevancy 50.31%

My 2000 MS Word stopped opening the documents I have on file. The error message : "There was a problem sending the command to the program" keeps coming up after the document tries to open. I can create and save documents, but then cannot open them to view the content. This started after the removal of roaming defender spyware by SpyHunter software. I don't have any files blocked by SpyHunter and still have the issue with Word with SpyHunter deactivated.I am wondering if a file got removed in the spyware clean up and removal?

A:Word 2000 will not open word documents

Does anybody have any ideas on this problem. I really need to be able to get my documents to open. Re-install of office doesn't help. I am not sure if I am allowed to post to my own topic, if not, I apologize. Thank you to anyone who has any ideas.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/386243/word-2000-will-not-open-word-documents/
Relevancy 50.31%

I have a CD rom with a Word 2000 document on it. I want to view this document with Word 97. When I try it tells me that it will not work and to try from the file menu (Word 97 opens, but no document appears). I try from the file menu, but it still will not open. Is there a patch I can download to enable this? I tried the Microsoft site, but there seems to be no patch and there is no article in their knowledge base to help. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance,
Lee

Relevancy 50.31%

Is there a way to put a word perfect 10 doc. into a word 2000 doc. I have word perfect 10 but my school has word 2000. I need to print my paper but don't know how. Can anyone help??

A:Solved: Word perfect 10 to word 2000 doc.

Word should be able to open the WordPerfect document. Or you can save the document as a Word 97 document in WP. Do file>Save As, and in the File Type box Select Word 97/2000/2002, and click save.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-word-perfect-10-to-word-2000-doc.275039/
Relevancy 50.31%

Hi all, I have a problem with viewing my Word 2000 documents under Word 2002. I format a document under 2000 and when I look at it under 2002 the margins on the top and bottom are shifted upward. The margin settings are the same size when I look at the document under 2000 and 2002 but the 2002 documents are offset. My text boxes and pictures are shifted somehow. I was thinking there might be a hot fix for this issue. Anyone know what is causing this?
Thank you
Matt

A:Word 2000 Doc's offset under Word 2002

are you flipping between 2000 and 2002?

why not use the same version of word on both computers?

i ran into a different problem with office '97 and 2000 and changed all systems to 2k.
i'd run a 97 or 2k word doc and was always asked if i wanted to change to the other format, sometimes i did, sometimes i didn't.

i have a feeling you try to look at a doc done in 2k and want to view it in 2002.
when you finish you're probably asked do you want to revert back to 2k and that's why you're having problems.
if you change it to 2002 it 's supposed to be backward compatible with 2k and you don't say if this is happening one time or every time.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/word-2000-docs-offset-under-word-2002.430543/
Relevancy 50.31%

Does anyone know how to stop Word 97 losing the settings contained in the Normal.dot ie macros and autotext?

A:Normal.dot on Word 97

Sounds like normal.dot is read-only.
Make sure it's not.
Then, once your macros and autotext are stored, make a copy of normal.dot and send it home (or to work, as the case may be) so you have another copy of it somewhere. Normal.dot becomes corrupt on a rather regular basis, so you should keep a copy elsewhere.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/normal-dot-on-word-97.247895/
Relevancy 50.31%

Hello--

I'm having a hard time figuring where and how to post this.

Suddenly my computer converted all of my word documents to Word Pad. I fiddled with it and got it to change individual documents to Word when I re-save them, but I'm still getting new documents in Word.

Worse, it removes the headings and scrambles forms, which I have to repair each time.

Can somebody tell me how to re-set my computer so that when I get a Word document in email, it will stay in Word without convertint to Word Pad?

Thanks,
Gene Douglas

Relevancy 49.88%

Can the normal template be modified? If it is modified, will it cause problems (ie lock-ups, crashes, etc)?

Relevancy 49.88%

Word 2010 is using normal.dotm - I need to use normal.dot (seems .dotm may be causing problems for other users).

How do I delete normal.dotm and specify normal.dot as default?

As a side bar, the old file Properites dialog box was really useful but seems to be gone in 2010 - how do I find those file "properties" in order to make changes? (I must be missing something...)

Regards,
GEWB

A:Word 2010 - how do I use normal.dot?

Hopefully, this might help:
Transferring Normal.dot to new version of Word - Microsoft Answers

http://www.sevenforums.com/microsoft-office/157046-word-2010-how-do-i-use-normal-dot.html