Windows Support Forum

How to fix Windows Laptop When it goes from wireless to ethernet

Q: How to fix Windows Laptop When it goes from wireless to ethernet

I have a Windows 8.1 Laptop and yesterday it said I had no connections.
My computer is wireless but then it went to Ethernet it didn't let me connect to anything either.
I tried looking things up to see how to fix it but it just kept talking about buying cables.

Anyone know whats wrong?

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: How to fix Windows Laptop When it goes from wireless to ethernet

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: How to fix Windows Laptop When it goes from wireless to ethernet

You may try to disable your Ethernet adapter (wired connection) while you're connected via a wireless connection through your wireless adapter.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-fix-windows-laptop-when-it-goes-from-wireless-to-ethernet.203484/
Relevancy 60.63%

I am lookin for some advice on a networking problem. I have a hp pc connected to the net thru an ethernet cable with a wirless router from talktalk and vista os. I have an advent laptop connected wireless to the same router. Both recieve and connect to the internet fine. My pc can find my laptop and transfer files from it thru public but my laptop does not recognise my pc nor the printer on it, any ideas as this is driving me mad.

A:wireless laptop and ethernet pc

You cannot see Vista PC in network on the laptop, correct.
What is the OS on the laptop?
Can you ping the PC from the laptop by IP and Name?
Do you have a password at sign on for laptop?
If Vista PC has "Password protected sharing" on, you will need to set up an account on it with laptop's User name and password.
What is the exact make/model of router?
Make/model of both compuetrs?
What firewalls are you using on both machines?
Have you tried connecting with the firewalls turned off?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-laptop-and-ethernet-pc.810990/
Relevancy 59.77%

A couple of months ago my battery in my laptop stopped holding a charge. Ever since then I've had a lot of problems. The first was the USB drive would not recognize my mouse and the red light on the mouse would not even come on. Now I have 20 different yellow triangles on all of my drivers in driver manager and I can troubleshoot and fix all of them except for RRnetcap miniport 8. And even if I troubleshoot ill just have the same problem when I turn it off and on again. I have a new PSU in the laptop so that can't be the problem. I'm connected to my wireless network but it says no Internet acess. Please help! I'm posting this from my iPhone.

Relevancy 59.77%

Hello,
I have a Toshiba Protege r835 running windows7 64bit. And I was using a westell 7500 router for a while. My wireless was working fine but the connecting wasnt so good to I decided to move the router closer to my computer. But when I unpluged it and plugged it back in closer to me, my laptop was no longer able to connect wirelessly to the router.
My cell phone can connect to the wireless just fine. And on my laptop, it shows it on the list of possible wireless networks to connect to. But when I try to connect to it, it take a long time and just ends up not connecting. My wireless in enabled. When I plug the ethernet in, it works fine.
I ran a virus scan, and came up with nothing also.

Any idea how to fix this problem?

A:Laptop cant connect wireless, only ethernet.

Good morning Takaaaa,

The first thing I would try is disabling your wireless and then re-enabling (this will reset the wireless card) - I would then try reconnecting. Does it actually let you connect but unable to use? or does it give you a message whilst trying to connect?

Any detailed information relating to error messages would help.

Regards.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/303447-laptop-cant-connect-wireless-only-ethernet.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Hello I have just moved to a new flat and I m having trouble Connecting only ethernet via but laptop not wireless- connecting to the internet through my wifi I received a new router from my ISP and it works fine for my iPhone and iPad and I can connect to the router via wifi but the internet is slow at best and non-existent at worst It does however work when I plug in the ethernet cable I ve renistalled the drivers for my wireless card and updated them from the manufacturer s website I ve also run a virus scan spybot and ccleaner all to no avail Any help with this would be very much appreciated I ve copy pasted the ipconfig readout below I would say I m beginner intermediate on IT matters Thanks again in advance Windows IP Configuration Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Link-local IPv Address fe d cbc a e a IPv Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Connecting via ethernet but not wireless- laptop only Suffix Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Link-local Connecting via ethernet but not wireless- laptop only IPv Address fe f e bc c f IPv Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway Tunnel adapter isatap B - - Connecting via ethernet but not wireless- laptop only -BD A- F FB Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Tunnel adapter isatap D D F-DD - F- -FF FD CFAB Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Connection-specific DNS Suffix IPv Address ef fb cf a e e f Link-local IPv Address fe cf a e e f Default Gateway Tunnel adapter isatap F EC- BEB- E-A -D ACA Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Tunnel adapter isatap A CE - E- F- D E- E FF Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix nbsp

A:Connecting via ethernet but not wireless- laptop only

Connect with one or the other, but not both at the same time.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/connecting-via-ethernet-but-not-wireless-laptop-only.194615/
Relevancy 59.77%

Is it possible to have my laptop connected wireless, and run a ethernet cable from my desktop to the laptop ethernet port and be connected somehow?

A:Ethernet from wireless connected laptop

Yes cross-over ethernet cable between the PC and Laptop, with the Laptop using wireless to the Internet.
You can also setup your PC for wireless too, either through another USB wireless receiver or shared through the laptop

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ethernet-from-wireless-connected-laptop.100086/
Relevancy 59.77%

Is it possible to connect my Xbox to my laptop via ethernet, connect my laptop to a wireless access point, and somehow bridge the connections so that I can indirectly connect my Xbox to the internet? I know that I can buy a wireless to ethernet bridge from DLink or Linksys, but at the moment that isn't possible. My laptop is currently connected to the internet wirelessly (no hardwire where i am) and I tried to connect the ethernet cable from the laptop to my Xbox, enable the connection, and bridge it with the wireless connection, but my Xbox is receiving no signal through the cable. Please help Thanks

A:Using laptop as a bridge between ethernet and wireless

You could try using ICS on the laptop, but it's an ugly kludge.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/using-laptop-as-a-bridge-between-ethernet-and-wireless.489548/
Relevancy 59.77%

My laptop is connected to the network wirelessly using 2wire. This is working fine. I have the 2wire portal connected to a linksys dsl router ("etherfast"). The desktop is connected via ethernet cable to the linksys router. The internet works fine for the desktop. My problem is getting the two computers to see each other on the network. When I connect my laptop to the router via ethernet....network works. But when laptop is wireless (which I need to be logistically) ....network does not work. Can someone help me figure this out?

Thanks,

Liz

A:help with wireless laptop/ethernet desktop

With the network connected wirelessly, go through these troubleshooting steps.

Turn off any firewalls for debugging. If the firewall is the problem, you'll have to configure it to allow access to "trusted zone" addresses. Note that some firewalls must be completely uninstalled to stop them from affecting your networking.

PING each computer by IP address, and if successful, PING by name. You can obtain the IP address of a computer by opening a command prompt (DOS window) and typing IPCONFIG. This should work for any Windows version. A failure here needs to be corrected before you go any farther.

All computers should be in the same workgroup for computer browsing to function properly. File & Print Sharing has to be enabled on any computer you wish to share files or printers from. You also need to actually share the resource in question from My Computer, right click on the drive/printer/folder, and select sharing.

If you encounter difficulties accessing computers that are visible in Network Neighborhood, make sure the computer being accessed has an account with the same name/password as the system connecting to it uses to login.

While the default NetBIOS setting is correct for normal network configurations, it's possible for it to be altered, and it costs nothing to make sure it's correct. NETBIOS over TCP/IP must be enabled for normal network browsing.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-with-wireless-laptop-ethernet-desktop.580979/
Relevancy 59.34%

Guys,

I am not the sharpest computer person but I do know how to get around my computers. My problem is my Netgear DGN2000 is hooked up and the ethernet cable is running into my desktop with XP. The "Local Area Connection" says 100Mbps into the router.

The problem is the desktop is getting speeds of .60 Mbps download & .40 upload. My wireless laptop and another that uses the wireless connection & Windows 7, are getting about 3.0 Mbps, but sometimes really slow as well.

I know how to get into the router settings and just wondered if something might be set wrong? I have gone into the browser and reset and updated the firmware of the router. Still confused about why it is running so slow. I called the ISP but of course they say it is the computer. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

Relevancy 59.34%

Let me start out by saying I am totally and completely not a computer geek I don't speek the language of the tekkies Won't Laptop Ethernet, to Wireless Connects Connect to I have an HP laptop and out of the blue it will just not connect to the internet wirelessly It will say connected but no internet access This happens and random times at least once a week and for exactly hours between a m one day to a m the next day I can connect via ethernet cable just fine My Laptop Connects to Ethernet, Won't Connect to Wireless phone and TV can connect wirelessly but not my internet My signal Laptop Connects to Ethernet, Won't Connect to Wireless strength is usually excellent when this happens so it's not that I'm too far away from the router I have tried resetting my router modem multiple times when this has happened to no avail I have factory restored my computer I have deleted my driver and reinstalled it Literally the only thing that has worked thus far is connecting to an ethernet cable I called my ISP and they said my router is fine and nothing is wrong with it Before you ask NO I don't have any monitoring software or any software that prevents the use of internet after a certain time Keep in mind that my computer is totally factory resetored totally clean nothing on it but what it came with Please help

A:Laptop Connects to Ethernet, Won't Connect to Wireless

Go to HP's website and download the latest wireless adapter directly. What does the driver date say on the current wireless driver? With out the actual make and model number of the laptop I cant verify the current driver date from HP.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/240604-laptop-connects-ethernet-wont-connect-wireless.html
Relevancy 59.34%

Right now I have my new Toshiba Satellite A665 laptop connected to the internet using an ethernet cord. For the longest time I was trying to get my wireless to work but I would always get unidentified network with no internet access. I'm assuming this means my wireless card is broken, which is unfortunate since I just got this laptop. Can anyone confirm this?

A:Laptop connects with ethernet chord, but not on wireless.

If you just got it, I recommend you contact Toshiba's support center, as they know their systems best and will have to provide replacement hardware or proper drivers since the computer would still be under warranty. Here is there support page: Toshiba Support - Homepage

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/104517-laptop-connects-ethernet-chord-but-not-wireless.html
Relevancy 59.34%

hi all i am at my wits end my computer an HP Pavilion dv does not seem to be able to connect to the internet in either the wireless or ethernet-connected mode looking on the internet i tried to do an ipconfig release then ipconfig renew but when i tried the renew ethernet or connectivity either laptop,using for wireless limited i got the message quot no operation can be performed on local area connection while it has its media disconnected quot i searched this error message on the forum and since every case seems to be different limited connectivity for laptop,using either wireless or ethernet and requires posting of the ipconfig all command here goes mine ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap B - CF- ABC-A D - CC br Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap B - CF- ABC-A D - CC br Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap B - CF- ABC-A D - CC br Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap B - CF- ABC-A D - CC br Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap B - CF- ABC-A D - CC br Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap B - CF- ABC-A D - CC br Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap B - CF- ABC-A D - CC br Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap B - CF- ABC-A D - CC br Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap B - CF- ABC-A D - CC br Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap B - CF- ABC-A D - CC br Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap B - CF- ABC-A D - CC br Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap B - CF- ABC-A D - CC br Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap B - CF- ABC-A D - CC br Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap B - CF- ABC-A D - CC br Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap B - CF- ABC-A D - CC br Physical ... Read more

Relevancy 59.34%

Alright so I have two Windows computers, my laptop being Vista and my home network computer which is connected directly to the router is XP and then there is a Mac but I don't think it would interfere.
So basically whenever I look at my connection it says it's connected to "Unidentified Network" (Then my router name) and it says the access is local only.
I don't know how this happened, I've been connected to the internet using this computer and router for almost a year now and I've changed nothing.
But maybe you guys could come up with some specific troubleshooting steps?
Oh yeah and neither ethernet or wireless connection is working.
Thanks guys.

Oh yeah and the connection only works if the laptop is in safe mode. ​

A:Laptop Won't Connect to Internet Through Ethernet or Wireless

Base Pc connected by ethrenet, local only, no internet.
Laptop, connected wireless, local only, no internet.
or
Laptop does not connect to internet by ethernet or wireless, but connect local only. Local connection in safe mode only. to

If both computers have no connection it sounds like router is working, but has lost connection to ISP.
Check these.
Is the router DSL light on.?
Can you access the router set up pages to check if it is getting a signal and also see if the setings are still the same. Run any diagnostics that the router may have.
Is this a modem/router with ISP line directly connected or do you have ISP line to modem to router?
If you have ISP line to modem to router, connect a computer directly to the modem and see if you are getting a signal from the ISP.
If no signal from ISP contact them.
Another thing you can try is to power cycle the router. Power off for about 20 seconds then turn back on.

If problem is only with laptop then we need to concentrate on it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-wont-connect-to-internet-through-ethernet-or-wireless.810002/
Relevancy 58.48%

I have a HP G - DX Notebook that I have been using to access the internet Lately I have been and Xbox 360 randomly Laptop and from ethernet wireless disconnects experiencing random disconnects that will last from maybe seconds to minutes They will happen maybe every hour or two and are becoming really annoying At first I was using the laptops wifi abilities to connect to my router So when these disconnects began to happen I tried plugging in an Ethernet cable into the router and still experience the same disconnects The only other devices in Laptop and Xbox 360 disconnects randomly from wireless and ethernet the house that experience this is the xbox which is connected with an ethernet cable aswell The router that I had was an old netgear router but in the past week we got a new router which is a SMCD GNV I have only had it working today and I had the problem maybe - times within the first hours with both the wifi and ethernet connection I have tried updating the firmware and resetting the router and modem I just don't know what the problem is or how to fix it

A:Laptop and Xbox 360 disconnects randomly from wireless and ethernet

Bump

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/267287-laptop-xbox-360-disconnects-randomly-wireless-ethernet.html
Relevancy 58.48%

When I try and access the internet through any of the main browsers (I.e. Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Firefox and Safari) they tell me along the lines of 'unable to access the network' and 'this page can't be displayed' after taking a while attempting to load. I also cannot access it through any of my Windows 8 apps. I know it's not an issue with the home broadband itself and is something to do with my laptop as it is running fine both wirelessly and through using an Ethernet cable on all other devices. I would really appreciate some help with trying to fix this asap as I have spent a lot of time researching this issue and trying most things to resolve it without success, I also need to use the internet for loads of coursework over the summer hols and cannot afford to be taking it to a pricey IT technician. Please helppp

A:My laptop cannot connect to the internet, even though wireless and ethernet are working

Take a look at the file
\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts​there MUST be at least a line reading 127.0.0.1 LOCALHOST
but the question is there anything other than comments in it?
If so, leave the comments and the localhost line and delete everything else.

If you modify the hosts file, then you also need to

ipconfig /flushdns
net stop "dns client"
net start "dns client"

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-laptop-cannot-connect-to-the-internet-even-though-wireless-and-ethernet-are-working.195158/
Relevancy 58.48%

Hi Everyone
I wonder if anyone can help me please.
Make HP g56 Laptop
ISP Virgin Media Cable 150 meg connection
Router Virgin Media Superhub
Norton Intternet Security
No other protection is turned on

I have two computers connected to the Hub

My wifes computer fujitsu 4 core runs at the true 150 meg speed with wired ethernet cable (Perfect)

My laptop however runs at half speed with wired ethernet connection. In fact it runs at the same speed as it does when connecting via wireless to the same superhub. about 75 megs.

I have posted an ipconfig image if this is any help.

Kindest Regards

Anthony George

A:HP Laptop running same speed on ethernet cable as Wireless

Hi .... You have to remember it is up to 150mb ... You will not get this speed all the time ..

Have you just got Virgin Installed lately if so it takes some time to settle ...

Also does your Network Adapter support the top speed ? ...
As for wireless and Lan connections they can be the same speed with Virgin ... Though you should be getting more than 75mb at times ....
Virgin Media - Extremely fast broadband speeds

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/369043-hp-laptop-running-same-speed-ethernet-cable-wireless.html
Relevancy 58.48%

Greetings,

I have a PC (windows 7) connected to my router (Buffalo AirStation WMBR-HP-GN) via Ethernet cable, while my laptop (Vista) and a 2nd PC (Vista) are using wireless. My Ethernet PC cannot see the laptop or the wireless PC in Network. Both the laptop and wireless PC can see and share with each other. If I use an Ethernet cable for the laptop, I can share with my Ethernet PC.

In short, I can share wireless to wireless, Ethernet to Ethernet, but not Wireless to Ethernet.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

A:Cannot connect to my wireless laptop from my ethernet PC (vice versa)

Quote: Originally Posted by Eastwood001

Greetings,

I have a PC (windows 7) connected to my router (Buffalo AirStation WMBR-HP-GN) via Ethernet cable, while my laptop (Vista) and a 2nd PC (Vista) are using wireless. My Ethernet PC cannot see the laptop or the wireless PC in Network. Both the laptop and wireless PC can see and share with each other. If I use an Ethernet cable for the laptop, I can share with my Ethernet PC.

In short, I can share wireless to wireless, Ethernet to Ethernet, but not Wireless to Ethernet.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

I would try resetting the router first as it's clearly a problem with the router.

If that doesn't work please post a screen shot of your ipconfig/all from both a wired and wireless machine and I'll see what's up.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/229020-cannot-connect-my-wireless-laptop-my-ethernet-pc-vice-versa.html
Relevancy 58.48%

I have an Aspire one NAV50 with Windows 7 starter.

One time, when I turned it on, The icon for wireless connection doesn't appear anymore. Every time I try troubleshoot it, it would just say that there is an ethernet cable unplugged. And so, I connected it into the ethernet cable and it works fine. But when I tried it again on the wireless connections, it doesn't locate to any wireless connection.

I've tried the ff on my laptop:

restart
update
scan the laptop with MalwareBytes
Fn+f2
by the way, last night, when I turned on again the laptop, the wireless connections can already be found. However, after few minutes, it went back to being unlocated again.

A:Laptop would work on ethernet cable not on Wireless Connections

I had doubt the Starter supports the Wireless connecting but since you say " the wireless connections can already be found.", so probably it's possible.
In this case and at the moment the thing I'm thinking about is the driver. Try to update its driver for wireless connecting. (You've said the 'update', but update of what?).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-would-work-on-ethernet-cable-not-on-wireless-connections.201158/
Relevancy 58.48%

Alright so I have two Windows computers, my laptop being Vista and my home network computer which is connected directly to the router is XP and then there is a Mac but I don't think it would interfere.
So basically whenever I look at my connection it says it's connected to "Unidentified Network" (Then my router name) and it says the access is local only.
I don't know how this happened, I've been connected to the internet using this computer and router for almost a year now and I've changed nothing.
But maybe you guys could come up with some specific troubleshooting steps?
Oh yeah and neither ethernet or wireless connection is working.
Thanks guys.

Oh yeah and the connection only works if the laptop is in safe mode.

A:Laptop Won't Connect to Home Computer Through Ethernet or Wireless

I think you're saying the network looks like

Code:

modem--WiFi.Router---wired.XP
|
+---- wired.Mac
|
+ ..... WiFi or Wired Vista laptop

The Mac and XP can use the Internet (can they share between them?)

Vista can not share (but can it use the internet?)

On vista try this
run->ipconfig /all >mytcp.txt​and attach \user\yourLogin/mytcp.txt to your follow-up

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-wont-connect-to-home-computer-through-ethernet-or-wireless.124192/
Relevancy 58.48%

Hello I have just arrived at a friends house to stay for a while and my laptop does not connect to the internet properly through the wireless yet ethernet through not through but cable the internet to connects Laptop wireless works perfectly when plugged into the router directly through ethernet cable it is not the actual router s wireless that is broken because there are three other laptops that connect and work just fine I have done several virus scans using AVG and Spybot Search and Destroy and other than incredibar nothing has been found so i dont think it is a virus I Laptop connects to the internet through ethernet cable but not through wireless thought it might have been the to adapter so i disabled to no avail The problem is not connecting to the network as that works fine and every now and again i can get minutes of internet use before it stops working most of the time still saying i am connected to the internet for an extra minutes then saying i have a local only connection I did and ipconfig all when plugged into the router and this was the result Windows IP Configuration Host Laptop connects to the internet through ethernet cable but not through wireless Name Tom-PC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Bluetooth Device Personal Area Network Physical Address - - F-B -C -EE DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Laptop connects to the internet through ethernet cable but not through wireless Yes Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Intel R WiFi Link AGN Physical Address - -FB-B - F-A DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe dd af ac c Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained September Lease Expires September Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - - -D - - - -B - - -D DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Broadcom NetLink TM Gigabit Ethernet Physical Address - -B - - -D DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe bcfe bf a Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained September Lease Expires September Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - - -D - - - -B - - -D DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - E- DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IPv Address ef fb bc d f fff Prefe rred Link-local IPv Address fe bc d f fff Preferred Default Gateway NetBIOS over Tcpip Disabled Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes And when it is just the wireless Windows IP Configuration Host Name Tom-PC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Bluetooth Device Personal Area Network Physical Address - - F-B -C -EE DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Intel R WiFi Link AGN Physical Address - -FB-B - F-A DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe dd af ac c Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained September Lease Expires September Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DHCPv Cl... Read more

A:Laptop connects to the internet through ethernet cable but not through wireless

What firewall / security suite or anti-virus do you currently have on the PC - or you have ever had on the PC in the past - any trial ware - like Norton, Mcafee

i would remove AVG - see below , that could be blocking

as you are getting an IP

this does not often work on wireless - but try anyway
- try safemode with networking
as the PC starts keep tapping F8 - a menu appears - choose
safemode with networking - see if that works
------------------------------------------------------------------------

also try a TCP/IP reset - see below

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista/Windows 7

Start> Programs> Accessories> and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt box
(A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on the screen ):

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following commands:

Note: Type only the text in bold and red for the following commands.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog and press enter

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log and press enter

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log and press enter

ReStart (reboot) the machine.

If you receive the message
The requested operation requires elevation.
Then please open the command prompt as administrator - as requested above
Start> Programs> Accessories> and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt box
(A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):

Please note and post back - if you receive the following message :-
Access is Denied

please post back the results in a reply here - its important we know that these commands have worked correctly and not produced any errors
right click in the command prompt box
select all
enter
control key + C key - to copy
then reply here and
control key + V to paste

Details also here
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

AVG Removal Tools
http://www.avg.com/gb-en/utilities

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-connects-to-the-internet-through-ethernet-cable-but-not-through-wireless.1069516/
Relevancy 58.05%

Recently I performed a reinstallation of windows on my laptop. Normally I had no problems with the wireless, but after the reinstallation my laptop refuses to acknowledge that there are wireless networks. When I'm not connected to the internet, it asks to connect using a wire connection only.

I have a Dell Inspiron iM101z running Windows 7 Home Premium, and I downloaded all the drivers for what the Dell website told me my laptop model was, a Dell Inspiron 1121. Attached is a picture showing the oddities of my problem. The icon on the taskbar shows that I have to connect with an ethernet cord; no wireless icon is shown.

If I try to unplug the ethernet cable and connect to the internet, I only get the option to do a broadband connection. Also, once I unplug the cable, I get "no connections available."

A:Laptop refuses to detect anything wireless, ethernet works fine

Most likely this is still a driver problem.

Drivers and Downloads | Dell [United States]

Or, http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?...&advsrch=False

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/242262-laptop-refuses-detect-anything-wireless-ethernet-works-fine.html
Relevancy 58.05%

I have just put a new hard drive in my laptop - a sony vaio
It will no longer connect to my university internet through a cable which I just plug into the wall. It has no issue finding wireless connections. I have tried changing the connection cable but it had no effect. In device manager under network adapters it lists: Atheros AR9285 Wirless Network Adapter and there are no warnings associated with that. Underneath in other devices it states that the Ethernet Controller has no driver installed. Is this related?
Any help much appreciated

A:Laptop won't connect to ethernet cable despite finding wireless connections

Hi Molly123, and welcome to TSG.

Molly123 said:

It will no longer connect to my university internet through a cable which I just plug into the wall.
Underneath in other devices it states that the Ethernet Controller has no driver installed.
Is this related?

A missing Ethernet driver will prevent the wired connection from working.
You can probably use your wireless connection to visit the support section of the the Sony web site and download the missing driver(s) and get instructions on how to install the downloaded driver.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-wont-connect-to-ethernet-cable-despite-finding-wireless-connections.1089095/
Relevancy 58.05%

Laptop running Windows no wifi to Netgear Router I hope someone can help me with this problem please A new Netgear wireless router was set up some months ago It works fine on tablets cell phones all Androids and one for ethernet laptop wireless Netgear48 reqd router cable desktop computer Win All of these will work without the need to be connected to the router however my laptop Netgear48 wireless router ethernet cable reqd for laptop running Win will not connect to the web unless the Ethernet cable is connected between laptop and router when it then works without a problem I have tried troubleshooting and this has failed to produce a solution and have then checked out the dependency services and got error messages which I cannot correct and really do not understand what they mean I am aware that these three services are interdependent and if one of these is wrong the other two won't play nicely However these only appear to affect the wireless side of the router as no problems are experienced when wired up These are the details Peer Name Resolution Protocol Properties On local computer Service Name PNRPservStartup Type AutomaticService status stoppedLog on as Local System Account radio button selected the Netgear48 wireless router ethernet cable reqd for laptop rest of the screen is emptyAllow service to interact with desktop blankDependencies This service depends on Peer Network Identity ManagerThe following system components depend on this service Peer Networking Grouping PNRP Machine Name Publication ServiceRecovery Not attemptedAttempted to start the service and got this error message Windows could not start the Peer Name Resolution Service on local computer Error The account specified for this service is different from the account specified for other services running in the same process Peer Networking GroupingService Name p psvcStartup Type AutomaticService status stoppedLog on as Local System account not selected Allow service to interact with desktop blankThis account selected Local Service Browse PasswordConfirm Password Not sure if this is the password used when setting up router Dependencies This service depends on Peer Network Resolution Protocol Peer Networking Identity ManagerThe following system components depend on this service No DependenciesRecovery Not attemptedAttempted to start the service and got this error message Windows could not start the Peer Networking Grouping Service on local computer Error The dependency service or group failed to start Peer Networking Identity Manager Service Name p pimsvcStartup Type AutomaticService status startedLog on as Local System account not selected Allow service to interact with desktop blankThis account selected Local Service Browse PasswordConfirm Password Not sure if this is the password used when setting up router Dependencies No DependenciesThe following system components depend on this service Peer Name Resolution Protocol Peer Networking GroupingRecovery Not attempted This appears to be the only one of the three services that is working although the other two are not which may explain why I cannot access the web if not connected to the router Any help or suggestions as to what has gone wrong here and how I can rectify matters would be much appreciated Many thanks

A:Netgear48 wireless router ethernet cable reqd for laptop

Further to my earlier query, I have checked those dependencies again, this time with the router plugged into the laptop, I got internet connection as expected, but the same errors were still there as noted previously, whatever is preventing me connecting to the internet wirelessly, it cannot be in that area. When the previous router, a Belkin, was setup I used the desktop computer as the main one always plugged into the router with the laptops operating wirelessly. I do not know if this is important, am blundering around trying to find a solution without a clue what to do next. Any ideas?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/528444/netgear48-wireless-router-ethernet-cable-reqd-for-laptop/
Relevancy 58.05%

Hello,

I am having problem connecting my laptop to the internet via ethernet cable.

I am typing this from a Mac desktop that is on the same connection - no router in use, just a cable modem.

I have tried 3 different laptops plugging in to the ethernet cable directly to the modem and all say the same thing - limited to no connectivity for the XP machines, and "Local access only" for the Vista machine.

It recognizes the ethernet cable, and it searches for connectivity but does not succeed.

What makes this weird is that the connection itself is live as evidenced by my ability to type on this desktop.

Please help!!

A:Solved: Can't connect laptop to internet via ethernet cable (wireless is ok)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-cant-connect-laptop-to-internet-via-ethernet-cable-wireless-is-ok.759881/
Relevancy 58.05%

Hi I have been searching for an answer for this one but hit a brick wall with it so I hope you can help I have just moved to a new flat and my broadband connection won t be up for another weeks I have a desktop pc and a sony vaio notebook with a wlan adapter I have spoken to my neighbour above and he has a wlan connection he s been kind enough to give me the with Sharing wireless desktop laptop Solved: connection ethernet. via WEP key to access this until mine is installed I have tried this on the laptop I can access it fine from a couple of the rooms However my main pc is my desktop and this only has LAN cards I have attempted to share the WLAN connection with my desktop using ICS however the router is configured on and Windows needs this IP to enable shared internet on the notebook I can t really ask my neighbour to change this just so I can share the connection to my desktop I have managed to create a lan connnection between the two machines so Solved: Sharing laptop wireless connection with desktop via ethernet. I can RDP into the notebook to browse the web I Solved: Sharing laptop wireless connection with desktop via ethernet. need to know if there Solved: Sharing laptop wireless connection with desktop via ethernet. is a way I can configure the network connetions within xp to allow the connection to be shared and if not If there is some kind of proxy application that will allow me to share the connection with my desktop I have had a look at winproxy but it s all a bit over my head I know it would be much simpler to buy a WLAN card for my desktop but this is only temporary so I don t really want to spend the money on something I will never use again Can anyone help with this both machines are xp and are connected via ethernet Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Solved: Sharing laptop wireless connection with desktop via ethernet.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-sharing-laptop-wireless-connection-with-desktop-via-ethernet.550977/
Relevancy 57.19%

Hi,

I have a Sony Vaio Laptop . Spilled some liquid and it is not able to connect to internet using Wifi or through ethernet cable.The USB ports also have stopped working so i cannot connect it to a wireless adapter.

Showed this to Geeksquad agent at Bestbuy and he told me that this could be a motherboard problem and nothing much can be done about it.

So basically i have a working laptop that i cannot to internet.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Sam

A:Sony Vaio Laptop Wireless and Ethernet Network Connection not working

probably is a mother board
did you dry it out completely

some vaio have a PC expresscard slots - its possible this may work
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExpressCard

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sony-vaio-laptop-wireless-and-ethernet-network-connection-not-working.964410/
Relevancy 54.18%

Just built a computer and trying to get a wireless card that will work with Windows x64. Any hints, tips or advice? I have purchased 2 and they did not work with x64. Please help!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-ethernet-for-windows-x64.575113/
Relevancy 53.32%

Hey all,

I have had this issue for a while now and i have attempted many things even restoring Windows back to factory settings.

My HP Windows laptop connects fine to my BT home hub 3 via wireless with no issues but the ethernet connection just recognises a local network and has no internet connectivity.

my ethernet connection just never gets an IP address and always assigns itself a 169.x.x.x address.

Originaly thinking it may be a hardware issue i booted into a Linux live cd to double check and the ethernet connection worked with no issues at all.

I have tried numeorus things to try and resolve it-

updated drivers / alternative drivers
reset TCP/IP
restored windows back to factory installation
assiginged static IP address
removed anti virus / firewall software
different router
please does anyone have any ideas of a possible solution?

many thanks in adavnce.

A:Windows Vista connects via wireless but not via ethernet

Have you tried a different ethernet cable?
Disabled/turned off the wireless on the computer.
Connected the ethernet before turning on the computer.

Usually the system will default to an ethernet connection, but with a working wireless connection, the system may not even try to establish a wired connection.

What does the IPCONFIG /ALL look like?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-vista-connects-via-wireless-but-not-via-ethernet.1024056/
Relevancy 53.32%

I m not the most tech-savvy and I m having trouble with my old windows XP both but and internet wireless) Connected XP, no ethernet (Windows laptop a Dell Latitude It s worked fine with wireless and ethernet networking until recently At home and elsewhere I get a message telling me that I am connected to the internet either through Connected but no internet (Windows XP, both ethernet and wireless) my wireless or through the ethernet jack when I right-click on the connection either Local Area Connection or my wireless card depending on what is plugged in the quot status quot says that my connection is good Packets are sent and received although far more are sent than received But if I try to open a browser I get the message saying that the browser could not connect quot Server not found quot in Firefox Similarly windows tries to download updates then the download quits At home I m using a cable modem Time-Warner RoadRunner is our high-speed provider connected to an Apple Airport Express My partner is able to connect perfectly wirelessly with her Mac with no problems and in our previous apartment I could connect to the Airport Express with no difficulty we had Comcast cable internet at the previous place The password for the Airport Express hasn t changed and I tried re-entering it with no luck It is only since moving to a new house and new provider that I ve had this problem but the problem now occurs everywhere I go so I m afraid I messed something up in the search for a fix or that the move is unconnected to the problem I ve tried disconnecting the modem and router and letting them power down and back up I ve done that with my partner s laptop turned off and with it left on No luck so far Plus as I said this problem happens everywhere not just on our home network Two things I ve noticed When I do ipconfig all at home the IP address I get is when I ping that address I get good results but when my partner goes to ipchicken com on her Mac she gets a different IP address when I try to ping that address from my laptop it times out and fails When I go to the library and plug into the ethernet connection I get an IP number from ipconfig all that I can ping successfully Sorry to sound clueless -- but I guess I am If I go to the network properties and then to the TCP IP properties for both wireless and for the local area connection I cannot get the choice for quot Obtain DNS server address automatically quot to stay checked When I check it and quot OK quot my way out of those windows and go back later it has always come unchecked and reverted to the same Preferred and Alternate DNS servers -- it s always the same numbers no matter where I am Spybot S amp D reveals no infestations of spyware or malware Any ideas Can anyone walk me through some fixes Or do or above point to anything important Thanks - Bill nbsp

A:Connected but no internet (Windows XP, both ethernet and wireless)

Create a restore point, then install and run the utility found on this link. http://majorgeeks.com/downloadget.php?id=4372&file=15&evp=4578a0d2691013178f302c260093894b. This should help.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/connected-but-no-internet-windows-xp-both-ethernet-and-wireless.110030/
Relevancy 52.46%

When I plug an ethernet wire from a router to the ethernet port on my computer, nothing seems to happen. There is no LAN option under my "network connections" either. My first guess is that I don't have the correct driver installed (or if I have one at all for the ethernet). Can anyone help me? I tried to open up the computer to see the brand of the Ethernet card but Some of the screws were stuck and I couldn't seem to open it. It is a Laptop running Windows XP by the way. I bought it at cyberpowerpc.com. Thanks very much for any help.

A:Windows XP: Ethernet port (and LAN) does not work..only wireless internet

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-ethernet-port-and-lan-does-not-work-only-wireless-internet.937850/
Relevancy 52.46%

Hi,
I am trying to make it so that Windows 7 will automatically prefer a wired internet connection over wireless when I connect an ethernet cable to my computer.

I was able to follow the instructions here:

How To Change The Network Adapter Priority In Windows 7 | LNN: Levy News Network

But it looks like after some period of time, Windows resets the order of preference of my connections to what it was before. Is there some fix for this issue?

Thank you

A:Windows 7 resets priority of Wireless over Ethernet Connection

What are the speeds of the wired and wireless connection? Windows should use the one with the most amount of possible bandwidth. Normally this is wired however if you are using newer wireless standards then it may prefer that.

Many thanks,
Josh

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/304621-windows-7-resets-priority-wireless-over-ethernet-connection.html
Relevancy 52.46%

Looking for some no connection, 7: wireless internet Windows via fine Ethernet is help here as I m stuck year old Toshiba laptop Satellite P Ethernet and wireless both worked fine with XP Since upgrading to Windows my wireless is fine but I can t connect to the internet via Ethernet Other computers in the house are connected to my router linksys WRT GL and work fine I ve set up an IP Windows 7: no internet via Ethernet connection, wireless is fine address manually like I have on the other computers with no luck Automatically setting it will not work either I m using Windows 7: no internet via Ethernet connection, wireless is fine just TCP IPv v is unchecked older router doesn t support it I ve played with just about everything I can think of and still no luck The strange thing is that when I try to load a website the data seems to trickle in for a second For example going to google com it will look like its loading but nothing will come up Then just the text will come up after maybe seconds but the logo ie graphics will not It will just hang there and time out Any normal webpage I visit will just sit on a blank screen then Firefox will report it s quot done quot at the bottom but nothing will be displayed I also cannot log-on to my router same problem it will not load the web interface page and will just time-out Under the quot Network and Sharing quot center everything appears to be fine It will say I am connected to my network and the diagnostics will not find anything wrong Still no internet Tried bypassing the router and plugging directly into the cable modem and this does not work either Drivers are up to date as far as I can tell Toshiba website indicates Windows inbox drivers are the latest for my computer s ethernet adapter Any ideas nbsp

Relevancy 52.46%

I have a kindle Fire HD 7" I want to know if I can hook it up to the internet through my laptop. I am abroad, wifi is hard to find and the kindle has a free texting app that's awesome. I only have ethernet in my dorm, no wifi. Can I make this work somehow?

Thanks!

A:Kindle fire HD 7" Ethernet capable though Laptop/USB or ethernet cord?

Get a wireless router.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/kindle-fire-hd-7-ethernet-capable-though-laptop-usb-or-ethernet-cord.1090563/
Relevancy 52.03%

Can someone help? This started acting up around 1:30pm (February 3rd) at school. Everything works with a Live CD (Ubuntu 8.0.4) and nicely with Safe Mode Networking and a System restore.

I tried uninstalling my drivers and updating them and it didn't help. Any other options?

Laptop specs (Inspiron 1520) :

Core 2 Duo T7200
160GB HDD 7200RPM Sata
Intel Wireless Pro a/b/g (I think it was 395 or something)
10/100Mbit NIC
8600M GT 256MB
And of course Windows XP Pro SP3

This was working fine before Tuesday and then it just decides to bug me.

HELP? Need this working for school.

Relevancy 50.74%

Are you guys aware of a single pci card that offers the typical ethernet connection as well as a wireless one? I'd like to have the option to connect to either and I don't want to get two seperate cards. Any info is appreciated, Thanks

A:10/100 Ethernet/Wireless Ethernet PCI combo

I don't think you can do that but I would go wireless. :bounce:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/10-100-ethernet-wireless-ethernet-pci-combo.21180/
Relevancy 49.88%

Hi, I currently connect to the internet through a wired ethernet port in the wall which connects to my university's network.

I want to make this wireless since I bought a new macbook and was wondering if this product would do it? http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006PYGWG6

I don't know much about it but I was concerned because the Router Mode says 'cable connection only' and I'm not sure the connection is cable (is it ADSL?). Will I need anything else like a modem?

Any advice?

A:Making an ethernet university connection wireless with TP-LINK Wireless Travel Router

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/making-an-ethernet-university-connection-wireless-with-tp-link-wireless-travel-router.1108900/
Relevancy 49.45%

Have an Acer laptop 5570z and changed the operating system from Vista to XP Pro and now having difficulty finding drivers, most importantly the driver for the Ethernet Controller, can anybody help?

Relevancy 49.45%

I have a Sony Vaio Windows 7 laptop and I'm having issues with freezes on it. Whenever I let my laptop go into screensaver mode for a couple hours with the ethernet cable plugged my laptop freezes, I can't wake it - causing me to hard reboot it holding the power off for 5-10 seconds and rebooting it. Whenever my ethernet cable is not plugged in and goes into screensaver mode for 2+ hours I am able to wake my computer up - wireless connection. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/574402/sony-vaio-windows-7-laptop-freezes-w-ethernet-cable/
Relevancy 49.45%

Nowadays wireless router is a basic device at home because wireless access point AP is required Sometime a wireless repeater is also needed in a big house especially that with a big yard Actually without wireless router only a Windows laptop can be turned into a WiFi hotpot or a wireless repeater Many Wireless with Laptop Wireless Windows Adapter One Turn into Repeater 7 discussions can be found Turn Windows 7 Laptop into Wireless Repeater with One Wireless Adapter online regarding how to turn Windows laptop into a WiFi AP or virtual WIFI hotpot however the internet surfing is based on a local area connection If wanna extend a WIFI signal to an enhanced new wireless AP generally two wireless adapters are considered Here differently with only one wireless adapter but without rd-party software we can setup a wireless repeater in a Windows Home Basic or Home Turn Windows 7 Laptop into Wireless Repeater with One Wireless Adapter Premium laptop with only one wireless adapter This can boost the wireless signal to smartphones tablet computers or other wireless devices Also the mobility and flexibility allow extending the signal to a yard or a garage conveniently as you want It is known that a virtual wireless adapter can be created with a third party software or only Windows built-in commands But in Windows Home Basic or Home Premium usually the virtual wireless adapter cannot be created or a hosted network cannot be started I found a specific approach to clear the issues We can follow the steps successful setup in my two Windows Home laptops Click Start point to All Programs click Accessories right-click Command Prompt and then click Run as administrator A virtual wireless adapter can be created by command of netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode allow ssid sameabcd key where sameabcd is your new ssid of the virtual AP key is the password for virtual AP If the virutal adapter named 'Microsoft virtual WiFi miniport adapter' cannot be created we have a specific method here Delete all temporary point to point ssid at Manage wireless networks in Network and Sharing Center and change all static IP to dynamic IP Then bridge Local Area Connection to Wireless Network Connection see Fig again run the command above usually the virtual wireless adapter can be created If not update the driver of the wireless adapter If no again it means the wireless adapter does not support hosted network When the 'Microsoft virtual WiFi miniport adapter' is created delete the bridge immediately Fig Start hosted network by netsh wlan start hostednetwork If the hosted network cannot be started similarly we still have a specific approach here Delete all temporary point to point ssid at Manage wireless networks in Network and Sharing Center and change all static IP to dynamic IP Then bridge Wireless Network Connection to Wireless Network Connection as shown in Fig run the above command again usually the hosted network can be started Then delete the bridge immediately and run the command again Go to Control Panel gt Network and Sharing Center gt Change adapter settings Right click on Wireless Network Connection and select Properties Go to the Sharing tab and check quot Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection quot Then at the quot Select a private network connection quot drop down menu select Wireless Network Connection and click the OK button Searching the new created wireless signal you can now get your smartphone tablet computer or any wireless device connected to the new WiFi AP If do not need wireless repeater just stop it by netsh wlan stop hostednetwork to stop the wireless hosted network This method is free and no any rd-party software is required After you set up the hosted network for the first time you can just start or stop it by running following two batch files as administrator start bat netsh wlan start hostednetwork stop bat netsh wlan stop hostednetwork Or only one batch file as attached start-stop zip

A:Turn Windows 7 Laptop into Wireless Repeater with One Wireless Adapter

This method is available for starting soft AP of Windows 7 Home Premium laptop when set up repeater, some third party softwares or methods can create soft AP for Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate only.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/254729-turn-windows-7-laptop-into-wireless-repeater-one-wireless-adapter.html
Relevancy 47.3%

Hi all

I have got a new desktop PC, which works fine with Ethernet but I am not able to connect through wireless.When I tried to connect to the broadband, it says error connecting to the Broadband connection
Error 651: The modem (or other connecting device) has reported error. However, same comnnection works very well with my vista home premium Dell Laptop.

Thanks in advance
Pxray

A:HP Pavillion PC with windows 8 works ethernet works well but not able to connect through wireless

How to reset TCP/IP by using the NetShell utility

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-pavillion-pc-with-windows-8-works-ethernet-works-well-but-not-able-to-connect-through-wireless.202705/
Relevancy 45.58%

I have a Sony Vaio with WIFI and an ALienware that does not have WIFI. I need to connect the Alienware to the Vaio with ethernet cable to access the net. I keep getting a IP address conflict message on the Vaio. The only thing I need the Vaio for is the WIFI connectivity. Will be purchasing a new PCI card (wireless adapter) soon but until I do... I need to make that connection on the Vaio a Hot Spot or the likes. Any surefire methodology to accomplish this task? Thanks so much for any help you can offer. Kirt (530)749-1110

A:Win XP, laptop#1 has WIFI, laptop #2 needs to connect thru #1 with ethernet cable

what operating systems are on the PCs

you should use ICS - internet connection sharing or bridge
what type of cable do you have - it may need a crossover cable if the pcs are old and do not have autosensing LAN connections
TURN ON ICS
TURN ON ICS - for internet sharing

General
-------
TURN ON ICS - for internet sharing
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Using-ICS-Internet-Connection-Sharing

XP
--
TURN ON ICS - for internet sharing - for windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/crawford_02july01.mspx

VISTA
-----
TURN ON ICS - for internet sharing - for windows VISTA
http://www.windowsreference.com/win...ternet-connection-sharing-ics-setup-in-vista/

windows 7
---------
TURN ON ICS - for internet sharing - for windows 7
http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/bridge-network-connections-in-windows-7/

Bridging two network connections:
Make sure the secondary connection has DHCP enabled.
Open the Network Connections folder from the Start Menu, Settings.
Select the first connection to be used in the bridge and highlight it by left clicking on it.
Holding the Ctrl key, select the second connection to be used in the bridge by left clicking on it.
Right click on one of the two highlighted connections and select Bridge Connections.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/win-xp-laptop-1-has-wifi-laptop-2-needs-to-connect-thru-1-with-ethernet-cable.1016997/
Relevancy 45.58%

Hi,

Im having some isses neworking my XP Laptop to another Windows 7 Laptop using a wireless network. As i am away from home i do not have access to a network cable.

As my Laptop is networked to the computer at home i used the same method to try and Network it with the Windows 7 Laptop.

I ran the wiresless netowkr setup wizard on the latop saved the settings to a USB flash drive and then ran the wizard from the USB drive on the Windows 7 Laptop. However despite doing this the windows 7 Laptop does not see to pick up the XP Laptop. The Window 7 Laptop is part of its ome group but i dont know if i should "leave" the home group or not.

Its
Windows XP Professional SP3
Windows 7 Home Premium
I do NOT have a router available (is this my issues?)

Im abit new to networking XP & 7 so any help appreciated.

James

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wireless-lan-networking-windows-7-laptop-windows-xp-laptop.171676/
Relevancy 45.15%

Hi there I m having troubles with our new router I can connect via ethernet but not through wireless I m certain it s an issue with my laptop as I ve managed to connect several other devices without any problems Any help would be appreciated No? Wireless Yes, Ethernet as I ve tried everything I can think of Below is the result of quot Ethernet Yes, Wireless No? ipconfig all quot with the ethernet cable connected Microsoft Windows Version Copyright c Microsoft Corporation All rights reserved C Users WYN gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name WYN-PC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List dlink com Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix dlink com Description Atheros AR EG Wireless Network Adapter Physical Address - - -CD-F -BD DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe d f b ff ac Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained August Lease Expires August Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - - B-C -BB- - E- - E- A- DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix dlink com Description Realtek RTL E Family PCI-E Fast Ethern et NIC NDIS Physical Address - E- - E- A- DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe ce bbea a d feab Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained August Lease Expires August Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - - B-C -BB- - E- - E- A- DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap Belkin Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - E- DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes C Users WYN gt And below with it disconnected Microsoft Windows Version Copyright c Microsoft Corporation All rights reserved C Users WYN gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name WYN-PC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List dlink com Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix dlink com Description Atheros AR EG Wireless Network Adapter Physical Address - - -CD-F -BD DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe d f b ff ac Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained August Lease Expires August Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - - B-C -BB- - E- - E- A- DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix dlink com Description Realtek RTL E Family PCI-E Fast Ethern et NIC NDIS Physical Address - E- - E- A- DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap Belkin Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - E- DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes C Users WYN gt I hope this is enough information Thanks in advance ThatGuy nbsp

A:Ethernet Yes, Wireless No?

Atheros Wireless Adapter - AR5007EG & AR5007
Over the last couple of years we have been seeing a lot of problems with the above adapters, mainly concerning WPA and WPA2 encryption and mainly on windows Vista.
We have seen just a couple of issues on other windows operating system, windows XP and windows 7.

Windows XP:- A driver update has resolved the issue
Windows 7 :- No conclusive results for a fix

The wireless adapter gets an IP configuration, and shows as connected, but communication is non-existent or sporadic.

Log into the Router and disable the wireless security and see if you are now able to connect to the internet and surf OK.
Please post back a reply here, and let us know if that works or does not work.
If you post back the make and exact model of the router - we can advise how to disable the wireless security

Here are a number of possible solutions

--- 1) In Device Manager right click on the wireless adapter and "update driver."

--- 2) Download and install the latest wireless driver from your laptop manufacturer's web site support section,

If you post a reply here with the Make and EXACT model of your PC, along with the windows version you are running. we will see if we can find a link to the driver and will post a reply with the link here.

--- 3) On one occasion re-setting the router back to factory default and re-configuring the router settings has resolved the issue

--- 4) The majority of members, have now used the drivers from the atheros driver site, which has resolved the issue.
- see below for direct links for windows vista and the link for all Atheros adapters and supported operating systems
AR5007
Vista 32 / 64 Bit
Direct link Drivers for Atheros AR5007 and Windows Vista 32 / 64 bit
You only need to click on the green download button labelled " Click to Download " and wait, the file will download - you do not need to click on any other buttons to get the download started
AR5007EG
Vista 32 / 64 Bit
Direct link Drivers for Atheros AR5007EG and Windows Vista 32 / 64 bit
You only need to click on the green download button labelled " Click to Download " and wait, the file will download - you do not need to click on any other buttons to get the download started
Drivers for the other windows operating system
http://www.atheros.cz/atheros-wireless-drivers.php
You need to look down the page for your particular adapter model and then look across the columns to find your windows version.
Now click on the blue tick mark in the column under your windows version.
This will open another page for that particular adapter and that windows version.

Now click on the download button labelled " Click to Download " and wait, the file will download - you do not need to click on any other buttons to get the download started

Assuming that after all the above the wireless still does not connect to the internet, all I can suggest is to use wireless security of WEP or to get an external USB wireless card.

Please post a reply here , and keep us informed of the situation and how you finally resolved the issue.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ethernet-yes-wireless-no.1063408/
Relevancy 45.15%

Hi, I have a Pavillion dv7-1129 wm laptop. With Windows Vista Home Premium ... Amd Turion (tm) X2 dual-core moble Rm-72 2.10 GHZ...Ram-2814... 32-bit Operating sytem
Can anyone provide me with the drivers for the Wireless and Ethernet connections

Drives for a Realtek RTL8101 Family-PCI -E Fast Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0)

Thankyou

Relevancy 45.15%

This is, perhaps, an extremely silly question, easy to answer as the Techguy says! I have been using a desktop with Ethernet LAN (Landline) for years. Now, I have a Dell Studio 15 Laptop with Wireless output signal. My question is, How do I connect the two, so that I can use the Laptop too through my land-line broadband connection? Do I use just a wireless router in between? Any type of Wireless Router, or, any specific type? Do I need to change anything in my desktop LAN setup?

Relevancy 45.15%

Is there such a thing as a 5 Ghz Ethernet card, or is just 5 Ghz wireless?

A:Ethernet vs. wireless

No - 2.4/5 GHZ refer to the wireless frequency.

Ethernet comes in two speeds mostly - older 100 Mb/s (100 megabits) or more modern 1000 Mb/s (1 Gigabit). Of course, these are usually much faster than internet speeds even for slower 100 Mb/s unless you have amazingly fast broadband.

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/67156-ethernet-vs-wireless.html
Relevancy 45.15%

Hi

My W8 PC is connected to the Wireless Router by Ethernet Cable, the PC also
has Wireless connectivity; is it possible to connect to the Router with both at t
he same time and if I do will that improve internet speed?

Thanks

Daniel

A:Ethernet and Wireless

Your internet speed is determined by your provider and the package you have, it is irrelevant how fast your connection to router is as long as it is at least a little faster than speed to the provider. So you can not change the internet speed above what provider gives you.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/30432-ethernet-wireless.html
Relevancy 45.15%

I've just moved into my Halls at uni in London. We have to use a CAT 5E ethernet cable to connect to a socket in the wall. When we open a web browser we have to enter a username and password to be able to go online. I was wondering if there is any bit of Hardware which i could plug into the ethernet wall socket which would then broadcast that ethernet connection as wireless and if so if it is possible to protect the connection so others cant use the WIFI.

thanks

A:Ethernet to Wireless, is this possible?

When we open a web browser we have to enter a username and password to be able to go online.Click to expand...

That probably means that they want to restrict usage to one computer per connection and do not want wireless networks set up. So, please check with the IT department before doing anything, as it's not very hard for them to detect violations.

On the assumption that you will not attempt this unless it falls within the rules, you can use a Wireless Access Point (WAP). Use encryption, preferably WPA2-PSK, AES, but at least WPA-PSK, TKIP. Use a passphrase that cannot be guessed and does not include dictionary words.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ethernet-to-wireless-is-this-possible.951188/
Relevancy 45.15%

Hi everyone

I dont really know whether this is really relevent, but I was just wondering. If I have both ethernet cable and wireless on one computer as 2 networks. Can I join up both of them to increase my internet speed or somthing. I tested both of them seperately and the ethernet cable was much faster than the wireless. My router is next to my computer. Can I have some tips. I will be putting some screenshots later.

Thanks in advance

A:What can you do with both ethernet and wireless??

Quote: Originally Posted by mw2

I tested both of them seperately and the ethernet cable was much faster than the wireless.

Surprise, surprise...

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/114793-what-can-you-do-both-ethernet-wireless.html
Relevancy 45.15%

So I just bought myself a new laptop (hp dv6910us) and I'm enjoying it thoroughly but I have a very basic question about what to use in terms of internet. In my apartment, I can easily connect to the internet through my ethernet connection or through the wireless. Both are smooth, fast connections. In terms of increasing the lifespan and battery-life of the computer, should I stick primarily to connecting through the ethernet or through my wireless connection? I have an Atheros AR5007 802.11 b/g WiFi adaptor and my processor is an AMD Turion X-2 TL-60 2Ghz with 3.00GB RAM. Running windows vista 32 Bit. It's a general question, not a pressing issue so answer at your leisure. Thanks.

A:Wireless vs. Ethernet

Not sure if anyone has ever bench marked something like that. But my gut feeling is that the wireless would draw a little bit more power but I have no evidence to back that up.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-vs-ethernet.742440/
Relevancy 45.15%

Here s something that is causing massive loss of hair My PC is connected to my router with a wireless card I also connect my PS to my PC using an ethernet connection the ps is quot modified quot and I use this connection to play music and video thru the ps to the TV Everything works fine with one exception It seems like the wireless is not getting a DNS To obtain one I same PC and Ethernet on wireless have to disable the ethernet card connect to my AP then enable the card If I lose my connect with the AP which happens sometimes it s on the other side of the house and the signal is a little weak then when it reconnects I have to do the whole disable enable thing It s not a huge deal but I do like my stuff to work properly and usually things like this are not problem for me but this one really has me wondering Anyone have any ideas Here s my ipconfig all if that helps What s odd is the ipconfig is exactly the same when I can connect and when I can t So maybe it s not a DNS issue Ethernet and wireless on same PC but something else But I am unable to connect to any web sites until I disable and re-enable the ethernet card Windows IP Configuration Host Name HAL Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Unknown IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List domain actdsltmp Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix domain actdsltmp Description Atheros AR G Cardbus Wireless Net work Adapter Physical Address - - - - -F Dhcp Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IP Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway DHCP Server DNS Servers Lease Obtained Monday August PM Lease Expires Tuesday August PM Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific Ethernet and wireless on same PC DNS Suffix Description Intel R PRO VE Network Connecti on Physical Address - C-F -B -DF- B Dhcp Enabled No IP Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway nbsp

Relevancy 45.15%

A little confusion here - When I log onto my Verizon router page (that 198.xxx thing), I show many menus but the following 2 have me a little confused. One says "network connection" type is: Ethernet - I do have a yellow cable coming out of my Actiontec router to the pc so I get that. Another menu says "wireless settings" and this says "wireless" which I have set to WPA and the mode is 802.11g "only". Is this system wireless or ethernet or both? I would like to do the pc to tv connection for netflix movies at some point.. Am I all set with this configuration? (knowing I have to buy a box of some sort, Roku or Apple or something) and if I do have a wireless connection, can I connect the two without cables running from one to another? Hope that is all clear. Thanks in advance.

A:Ethernet or wireless?

Is this system wireless or ethernet or bothClick to expand...

both

you have a wireless router - and so you can connect to the router with a cable as you currenty are doing and other devices PCs etc or your PC can also connect with wireless
I would like to do the pc to tv connection for netflix movies at some point..Click to expand...

someone else will need to answer the netflix service

from what I can see on the website
http://www.netflix.com/HowItWorks#faq1
you can watch via a PC

http://www.netflix.com/HowItWorks#faq1
Can I also watch instantly on my PC or Mac?

Yes. Simply press Play on any TV episode or movie to instantly watch it online on your Internet-connected PC or Mac.Click to expand...

so you can watch directly on your PC without any other device - and then if you have your PC video output connected to the TV you should be able to watch on TV via PC

whats the make and model of TV
- what outputs do you have on the PC video card ?
- what inputs do you have on the TV

if you have HDMI on both - then you should be able to use that - although for some copyright materials you will only be able to display on the TV and not two monitors

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ethernet-or-wireless.957901/
Relevancy 45.15%

So my wireless works well and fine, but the only problem is is that it disconnects time from time and i'm trying to download a 15 gb file that has no resuming capabilities. I want to use my ethernet connection rather than my wireless, but the ethernet (local area connection) isn't showing when I go to Control Panel/Network and Sharing Center/Manage Network Connections. I only see Wireless Network Connection. I have a router and a modem. the router is a linksys cisco. And my cable modem is linksys wrt45 or something. How can I fix this? My other two computers are using the ethernet cables fine.

A:Wireless but no ethernet

Download and run VistaForums SysInfo Tool (Select All and export to a file) on the laptop you're having trouble with, and upload it.

Ed

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/276904-wireless-but-no-ethernet.html
Relevancy 45.15%

hi, i am using a wireless connection but to play bf2142 well i need a wired connection. i have got an ethernet wire going from the wireless router to computer, and it works [i disable the wireless connection and i connect to the web through the wire]. but i want to use my ethernet wire as my PRIMARY way to connect to the internet, but still want the wireless connection active for my computers upstairs to connect to the web.

does this make sense?

is this possible?

thank you

denny

Relevancy 45.15%

Hello,

I have a PC with wireless connection to the Internet (PCI wireless card). Is it somehow possible to use the Ethernet port (NIC) to PROVIDE network access to a device? (such as a D-Link internet camera with ethernet connection).

Thanks for your help!

Johnathon

Relevancy 45.15%

I'm having problems connecting my PC via ethernet cord to the internet. We just got cable today and one of our PCs has a wireless card, when the other one doesn't. My computer is the basic one with the specs in my profile. It only has a dialup modem. I don't know if I have to configure something to the router or modem, but when my computer is hooked up to the router(the internet still doesn't work then) all other computers on the network won't connect to the internet.

Any help will be appreciated!

Relevancy 45.15%

should I enable the wireless when I want to use the ethernet, my wireless works fine, but when I try to connect with ethernet, either no connection or connection drops after a short time, It is a dell desktop with windows xp,with netgear switch, and comcast modem,with mac airport, I need to get my ethernet high speed working that I pay for. PLEASE someone help

A:ethernet and wireless together

If I am going to use ethernet for an extended time I remove an external wireless adapter or switch an integrated wireless off. But that's to extend the life of the unused component and to save the battery if on battery. If you are using a PCI wireless card with the desktop then disabling it is probably the best you can do. But that is not going to impact your ethernet usage, so it is really your choice.

Please show the following for when you have an ethernet connection and for when it has dropped ...

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ethernet-and-wireless-together.1080713/
Relevancy 44.72%

I have a printer (with wireless capability) wired to desktop (Windows XP) and a wireless laptop (Windows 7). My question is, can the printer be connected wirelessly to the laptop as well as wired to the desktop, or does everything have to be wireless?
Another question: If I want to share files between the two computers, do they both have to be the same operating system? (one is Windows XP and the other is Windows 7)

A:Solved: Wireless Laptop/Wireless Desktop (via wireless adapter)/ printer

I would guess that the printer can be connected by ethernet and wireless, but I've never had one with both capabilities so I don't really know.

I once had a printer that worked OK connected to a network plus connected to another computer by USB. Even so, that may depend on the particular printer.

There may be two operating systems that cannot file share with each other but I don't know which ones that might be. Windows XP and 7 are fine sharing with each other (but not claiming that nobody has had any problems).

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-wireless-laptop-wireless-desktop-via-wireless-adapter-printer.1054838/
Relevancy 44.72%

Hey everyone,
I have a Toshiba Satellite Laptop A305D-S6848
I previously had Vista on it and now I have installed XP SP2 on it...
Everything in the laptop seems pretty good...
I have installed mostly every drivers I had to install, but the wireless won't work and so doesn't the Ethernet port work...
when i connect the laptop to the router through the ethernet, it doesn't connect to the internet...
The local area connection thing is missing too in Network Connections...
Any help would really be appreciated...
Thanks...

A:Ethernet and wireless not working

and welcome to the Forum

You need to load the driversfor the LAN and wireless cards . .

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/ethernet-and-wireless-not-working-393287.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Hi.
im currently in rented accomodation and the internet is via a wired ethernet cable. i am not admin on the network. but im interested in a quick way to make a small wireless network using the ethernet so i can use wi-fi in my room.

looking for a cheap, simple option.
i have a bt voyager router available to me if that helps?
but i assume there's a small device you can buy that will transmit a short range wireless signal and work as the exchange between me and the network.

thanks!

Relevancy 44.72%

So I ve been googling this problem for hours now and I ve finally given up and decided to ask for some help My computer knowledge is pretty good but I m not so great Working Wireless But Does Ethernet Not with all this internet stuff I can connect to the internet through the cable but not wirelessly despite it showing up as being Wireless Not Working But Ethernet Does available when I connect it tells me I have limited connectivity Any help would be very appreciated i ran a ipconfig and here are the results Microsoft Windows Version Copyright c Microsoft Corporation All rights reserved C Users Cameron gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name Cameron-PC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List lan Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix lan Description Broadcom b g WLAN Physical Address - A- -D - -E DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix lan Description NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller Physical Address - B- -DA- - DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe bd af Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained January Lease Expires January Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - E- DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IPv Address e e a de c Prefer red Link-local IPv Address fe e a de c Preferred Default Gateway NetBIOS over Tcpip Disabled Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix lan Description isatap lan Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description TO Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes C Users Cameron gt nbsp

Relevancy 44.72%

My wireless was working fine... didn't touch anything and then it stopped.

My roommate can connect fine and I can connect with the ethernet cable.

I ran the Xirrus and it's not detecting any networks and i'm right next to the modem.

I did a system restore, ran a virus scan and no dice.

Any suggestions?

Relevancy 44.72%

A friend brought over a computer for me to can ethernet, install wireless New get but no remove a virus after checking out the computer found that the OS was hosed So backed up data and put a fresh istall of XP pro on the PC legal copy not bootlegged Couldn t get ethernet working figured since he did have a several nasty viruses I d flash the BIOS and right s to the drive just to make sure no nasties were still on the machine All said and done reinstalled XP Pro on an Emachine T Installed drivers Installed a pci Com ethernet card with the right drivers No ethernet cant get an IP tried using a good static IP didn t conect to the internet couldn t ping the router Plugged in a Linksys wireless usb adapter grabbed an IP right away Tryied plugging New install no ethernet, but can get wireless the ethernet in ethernets get IP s now unplug usb and ethernet stops working Plugged usb back in did all of the windows updates including hardware Tried Ethnet with New install no ethernet, but can get wireless the new drivers still doesn t work Tried Winsock fix tried XP bat fix Any other suggestions I m stuck nbsp

Relevancy 44.72%

Hi. I cannot connect to my wireless internet, however I can connect when using my ethernet cable. I don't usually have problems connecting to wireless and my other roommates are using the wireless without trouble, so I believe it is my computer. Help! Thanks!

A:Can connect with ethernet but not wireless

Here is the support and driver downloads site for the Acer Aspire 4720Z laptop/notebook.

I suggest you add and save this site in your browser favorites/bookmarks list so you can readily refer to it when needed.

You may need to reinstall or update the driver for the wireless device.

----------------------------------------------------------

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-connect-with-ethernet-but-not-wireless.1063626/
Relevancy 44.72%

Hi all Im not compleatly computer illeterate but basically if something goes wrong im buggered latest problem is that I was connect to orange broadband live box with numerous problems the main one being that i could only connect using ethernet after numerous phone calls they sent me to or something to that effect and had me change a few things around and hey presto it worked problem is I then moved and am now trying to connect to my very unhelpful flatmates O wireless box ii and am back to only being able to use a cable to connect I tried the previous address wireless! ethernet use but Solved: can not that orange gave me but im guessing it only works for them as it wont even display the page Solved: can use ethernet but not wireless! now i m pretty sure the problem isnt the O box as my flatmate and friends have no problems connecting and i cannot connect to any wireless networks macdonalds WiFi included lol so where do i go from here nbsp

Relevancy 44.72%

i have a computer that is connected to a domain.
i want to connect it with an usb wireless adapter.
the problem his that if i use the adapter i can't acess the domain because it's two different networks.

i'm working on windows 7 ultimate 32 bit
is there a way to work with both networks connected?

my computer is HP DX2300

and this is the specs:
GE115EA HP dx2300 MT PD-925 2x3.0GHz 2x2MB HT,1GB DDR2,160GB,DVD+/-RW,FastEth,WinVistaBusiness32

thanks!

A:can Wireless lan and ethernet Lan co exist?

I dont think it'll work but if anything, make sure your IP address on each network is different.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/79982-can-wireless-lan-ethernet-lan-co-exist.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Hi - I just bought a notebook with built-in wireless mobility. I have Road Runner as my ISP on my desktop unit. Is there any other equipment I need for sharing my Internet connection with my notebook?

Relevancy 44.72%

hey,

I am trying to use my wireless router to convert my wired connection to wifi. i have two laptops in which i would like to use the wireless connection. Only router and one laptop have ISP mac registration. I would like to use my router as a bridge to conect to internet and then to trasmit wirelessly, so that i can use internet in both the laptop remotely. Is it possible?

currently one laptop is connected to internet and that too wired connection. it is having a static ip and gate way. How can i use this static ip and gateway so that the router makes the connection and later assigns a new ip to my laptops.

if you are still not clear about the question I can give you more details

can anyone please help me in this......

A:converting ethernet to wireless

I think I can help... but your not being very clear.

As I understand it, you have a Wired Router which is connected to the Internet. You want to connect a Wireless Router and use it as a switch, to transmit the data from the wired router to 2 wireless laptops?

So it would look something like this:

Internet>Wired Router>Wireless Router>Laptops

Is that right?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/119866-converting-ethernet-wireless.html
Relevancy 44.72%

This problem has confounded me Bought a new wireless router it s a Corega CG-WLBARGNH ethernet not but with can wireless connet router I live in Japan Set it up fine with another laptop On that laptop both ethernet and wireless work great can connet with ethernet but not wireless On my HP Pavillion dv with Intel PRO Wireless bg ethernet connects great but wireless will not connect Note the following a The wireless router shows up fine on my list of available connections b When I click to connect to the network my computer just endlessly tries to connect quot waiting for network quot even though the router is in the same room with me and showing full strength on my list of available networks c I am able to connect to other wireless connections fine though they happen to be my neighbors unsecured networks d I have updated my driver as well as rolled it back I have checked security settings can connet with ethernet but not wireless multiple times the router company suggested this I have even fiddled with settings I probably shouldn t have with the configuration of my driver or TCP IP settings e I have tried repairing my wireless connection at which point it says quot Windows cannot finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed Connecting to the wireless network quot How helpful is that Hey any advice at this point I ll try it I ve been struggling for weeks in my free time to get this set up At this point I have no idea what to try Does anyone have any idea It must be some simple answer Thanks for any advice you can offer Nat nbsp

A:can connet with ethernet but not wireless

Try removing all the stored wireless profiles and searching for and connecting. The fact that it's not asking for a key indicates you may have an incorrect key stored.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-connet-with-ethernet-but-not-wireless.819329/
Relevancy 44.72%

I recently purchased an HP Pavillion Elite 441F computer. Upon starting it up, I discovered that although my wireless connection works perfectly, I cannot connect via an ethernet cable. I have tried multiple ethernet cables that I verified the connectivity of using my laptop. When I plug in an ethernet cable, the port shows a green light and an orange light below it. My computer recognizes that an ethernet cord has been plugged in, but shows the over the eternet box on the taskbar. All drivers are up-to-date.

Thoughts? I appreciate any help offered.

Relevancy 44.72%

When I bring my laptop home, I plug in a Cat5 cable and boot it up. Windows 7 then hooks up to my router with both the cable and via wireless. When I then transfer files from it, they transfer at the lower wireless speeds. If I disable the wireless on the laptop, the transfer speed increases to Cat5 levels.

Is there some way to get it to use the wired connection instead of the wireless connection without having to disable the wireless adapter in Device Manager (which means I have to re-enable it when I take the laptop on the road again)?

A:Wireless vs Cat5 ethernet

When the eithernet cable is plugged in it takes over the wireless connection and only the wired connection is used. In other words it should be happening automatically as soon as you plug in the cable.

Quite a few have tested this including myself so unless your system is somehow different than everyone else's I can't imagine why you would be having this problem.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/115672-wireless-vs-cat5-ethernet.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Yesterday due to an additional guest to our house I had to up and move all of my possessions into another floor and section of my house I have only one wireless device and that is laptop Other than that I have Desktop PC windows Xbox and a HP C series printer that all require an ethernet connection to my and solutions Wireless Ethernet router which is back on the other side of the house I cannot snake a Wireless and Ethernet solutions foot Wireless and Ethernet solutions ethernet cord to each of these devices My router is an Apple Extreme bought less than months ago How do I give my network devices internet access from across the house Is there some wireless hub I can buy that translates wireless internet back through ethernet cords that I can set up over this side of my home Any questions for specification please ask Thanks in advance PS - If I buy a wireless card for my desktop PC only a year old would I be able to use that as a router in and of itself It has extra ethernet ports on the back so could I hook up my Xbox to it and get network access for my Xbox or printer Are there any steps to do that

A:Wireless and Ethernet solutions

Hello and welcome to the forums.

There are many ways of accomplishing this, personally I solved this problem by employing an Ethernet over mains power solution using this; I find that it is almost completely reliable and you can easily stick a 4 port ethernet hub on the other end for all your devices (some of the more expensive versions have a hub built in).

It works by taking your ethernet signal and sending it through your houses power cabling and then receiving that signal at any socket in your house.

There are other options but personally I think this is one of the best.
In answer to your question about your WLAN Card being used as a router then the answer is yes.

You can set it up as an ad hoc network on any version of Windows or if you are running Windows Seven you can use this nice little program called Connectify which accomplishes the same thing but is much more versatile and easier to manage.

I hope this answers your questions.

Oli

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/83691-wireless-ethernet-solutions.html
Relevancy 44.72%

I was reading this thread on the steam forums and I know I have a realtek ethernet nic in my pc. I also have bad performance in tf2

My pc is connected to the internet through my wireless network though, which makes me think the above fix wouldn't work for me. Am I right, or does my wlan card interact with the realtek ethernet nic?

BTW, I'm posting here because most people on the steam forums don't seem to know what their talking about, at least when it comes to hardware.

Relevancy 44.72%

I have a cable modem hooked up to my router, and the ethernet cable from my router to my computer. internet and wireless were working just fine for about a month up until yesterday. it just stopped. now, either my ethernet will connect or my modem, but never both, which will not allow me to have wireless. i've tried resetting both the router and modem, but no luck. any help is appreciated. thanks

Relevancy 44.72%

i have had a bad relationship with at amp t i'm getting really tired of it so i had the idea of getting verison unforunetly they don't offer any service where i live i saw an ad for verison broadband network that comes with a netbook i had the idea of getting that deal and pay a month rather than for this crappy At amp t connection i though that i could could uplink bridge the broadband and ethernet internet into our houses Ethernet wireless router i have been working on it with my computer this is my set up i have my wireless pc connected to the router i have an ethernet port on the back witch i have connected to another wireless wrouter were a laptop then connects to that and Ethernet Bridge Wireless router i know that sometimes the router won't uplink the signal i have a fios router that has a WLAN connection aside from the Coaxe connection both should allow incomming connections so give me some guidence i'll take anything thanks for all your help thank you Bwkrazyness

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/bridge-wireless-and-ethernet-383705.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Hello I am having real issues with both wired and wireless connections Basically I don t have either all of a sudden One day my system was fine the next nothing I have searched and carried out all the obvious and non-obvious ideas but have got nowhere I have even been out and bought a new Netgear WNDA v and NIC Everything is recognised by Windows but will not connect to the internet Please can anyone help I suspect and fear that it is a Windows problem and that I will have to reload ethernet wireless No suddenly! or the OS Win bit Wired and wireless No ethernet or wireless suddenly! issue ISP Talk Talk Connection DSL Modem Router Netgear D Anti-Virus AVG Windows IP Configuration Host Name rtda-PC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes

A:No ethernet or wireless suddenly!

Any suggestions anyone?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/333344-no-ethernet-wireless-suddenly.html
Relevancy 44.72%

I have 3 PC's (2 on XP and 1 on ME) and a laptop on XP. I am using a Linksys WRT54G Wireless router. The laptop is wireless. PC's are ethernet. All computers communicate with each other in common workgroup when I use an ethernet cable for the laptop. When I use wireless for the laptop, workgroup communication is lost with other machines. No porblems accessing internet with any machine, whether wired or wireless.

Suggestions?

Relevancy 44.72%

whenever i try to connect my laptop (windows 7) wirelessly , it does not connects to it where as the ehernet cable works fine with it. i am using beetle 450tc2 router. please help

A:my wireless not working but ethernet does

do any other devices work with your wireless ?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-wireless-not-working-but-ethernet-does.1115144/
Relevancy 44.72%

I network an XP box and a 98 box via wired Ethernet. Currently, a DSL connection is shared via a Zoom modem with a built-in router (5651_X4_2_2) connected to a Linksys switch (EtherFast 10/100 5-Port Workgroup Switch EZXS55W).

Just bought a laptop with a wireless card installed and want to share Internet connection and files wirelessly as already done via wired Ethenet (between XP box and a 98 box). Laptop features VISTA Home Premium.

Instead of connecting the Laptop to the switch via a patch cable (to share DSL and files), thought maybe there's a type of Ethernet to wireless adapter product that simply plugs into a port on the switch that would in turn transfer a wireless signal to the laptop. Or not?

Thanks in advance.

Relevancy 44.72%

Before i start i have checked multiple threads on this site about my Disconnecting. Ethernet/Wireless problem but none atm have seemed to work im sorry if this topic arrises constantly but i have done a search but my problem Ethernet/Wireless Disconnecting. still presists Hi My problem has been going on roughly since i aquired the laptop but im sure that it Ethernet/Wireless Disconnecting. isn't a hardware fault as it is both the ethernet and wireless adapter having problems My ethernet will disconnect usually once Ethernet/Wireless Disconnecting. or twice a day usually an hour after the laptop has been turned on After that it won't disconnect again The wireless internet will disconnect more often and it is random as to when it will happen The disconnection happens like this Unable to browse the web using any internet browser like firefox or internet explorer Any online game i play kicks me from the server to a login screen if the game has one However the laptop still shows a stable connection to the ethernet wireless It will show the yellow triangle with an exclamation mark for a second then show a stabe connection Laptop Specs Windows -bit AMD Athlon II Dual-core M GHz GB RAM Wireless Adapter - Atheros AR Ethernet Adapter - Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller So far i have tried Updating all devices Uninstalled the devices and re-installed Unistalled Anti-virus software Disabled Firewalls Changing Channels on the router Update Router firmware Reseting the router Thanks for taking your time to read the above and thanks for any help that you can provide

A:Ethernet/Wireless Disconnecting.

This is the listing of errors in your event log (from DDS that I asked you to run)

04/08/2010 13:03:31, Error: Service Control Manager [7031] - The Apple Mobile Device service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds: Restart the service.
04/08/2010 12:52:38, Error: Service Control Manager [7026] - The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: StarOpen
04/08/2010 12:52:25, Error: atikmdag [52236] - CPLIB :: General - Invalid Parameter
04/08/2010 12:52:17, Error: Application Popup [1060] - \SystemRoot\SysWow64\Drivers\StarOpen.SYS has been blocked from loading due to incompatibility with this system. Please contact your software vendor for a compatible version of the driver.
04/08/2010 11:58:33, Error: Service Control Manager [7001] - The Computer Browser service depends on the Server service which failed to start because of the following error: The dependency service or group failed to start.
04/08/2010 11:58:32, Error: Service Control Manager [7001] - The HomeGroup Provider service depends on the Function Discovery Provider Host service which failed to start because of the following error: The dependency service or group failed to start.
04/08/2010 11:58:32, Error: Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM [10005] - DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service WSearch with arguments "" in order to run the server: {9E175B6D-F52A-11D8-B9A5-505054503030}
04/08/2010 11:58:32, Error: Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM [10005] - DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service WSearch with arguments "" in order to run the server: {7D096C5F-AC08-4F1F-BEB7-5C22C517CE39}
04/08/2010 11:58:30, Error: Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM [10005] - DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service EventSystem with arguments "" in order to run the server: {1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF}
04/08/2010 11:58:24, Error: Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM [10005] - DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service ShellHWDetection with arguments "" in order to run the server: {DD522ACC-F821-461A-A407-50B198B896DC}
04/08/2010 11:58:17, Error: Service Control Manager [7026] - The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: aswSP aswTdi discache spldr StarOpen Wanarpv6

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/101947-ethernet-wireless-disconnecting.html
Relevancy 44.72%

I have an Acer Aspire 7552G laptop running Windows 7 x64 that is having problems with connecting to the internet.

I started to notice the wireless and LAN connections becoming very weak, web pages would load slower, data would take longer to download, etc. This lasted for a couple weeks. As of now, I cannot get any signal, neither wireless nor LAN.

I normally use Google Chrome but have tried to connect through multiple browsers.

I have tried updating the wireless/ethernet drivers, and I have also tried uninstalling them all together and reinstalling them. Both to no avail. I have no idea how to resolve this issue and am hoping the tech pros here can help me out!

Wireless LAN and LAN vendors are both Broadcom and the drivers can be found here: Acer Support: Downloads & Support Documents - Notebook / Aspire / Aspire 7552G

*I am connecting to internet on a university campus.

A:Wireless & Ethernet LAN - Not Working?

How are you measureing the stregth of the ethernet connection?

Who is your ISP ?. . What Brand and Model is the Modem and Router?

Lets take a peek at your network environment:

First:

Power Cycle everything . . Turn off the Modem, router and all pc's . . turn on the Modem and wait a few minutes for the lights to stabilize . . then turn on the router, then one pc at a time. See if you connect to the internet.

Then:

Remove all the stored wireless network profiles and search for the network again.

How to Remove Stored Wireless Network Profiles for XP, Vista, and Windows 7

Then: check your browser's settings, remove any proxy settings if found here's how.

Then:

with the pc connected to the router, Click on Start . . Run . . type CMD

At the > prompt type type the following command: IPCONFIG /ALL

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter. Come back here and Paste the results in a message.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB drive, or a CD-R disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

then please Download and run this Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector, click the Networks link on the upper left and paste a screen shot of that screen here. Note that this application requires NET Framework to run. If you get an error about a missing function, download and install NET Framework.

[COLOR="Navy"] To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.[/COLOR

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/wireless-and-ethernet-lan-not-working-630451.html
Relevancy 44.72%

13 Minutes Ago
Dear all,

I have read all (i think) homegroup topics here but none solved my problem.
Homegroup is working perfectly when both computer are connected to router by ethernet cable.

As soon as i unplug the cable from computer 1. None of the computer is recognizing the homegroup of the other.

I tried rebooting both computers. Leaving homegroup, rebooting create new homegroup >> nothing helps.

Both computer get internet, can connect to the router, both computer can see and share folders with each other via the the network sharing way.

Both ethernet & wireless connection show up as HOME NETWORK

I have executed the Homegroup troubleshooter on both computers No changes.

Any clues on this?

Many thanks!

Fish

A:HomeGroup OK via ethernet but NOT via wireless

I believe homegroup is tied to the network connection. Did you create a homegroup for the wireless network connection?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/31717-homegroup-ok-via-ethernet-but-not-via-wireless.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Hello, are we can make ICS with Ethernet and wireless at same time? If can, how to apply it?

A:ICS with LAN/Ethernet Card and Wireless

Hi crossnet,

Can you please explain what you mean by "at the same time"? A description of the desired setup would be helpful.

Cheers,

Walker
Windows Outreach Team

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/99627-ics-lan-ethernet-card-wireless.html
Relevancy 44.72%

hi...i have a macbook and a pc.....and i have subscribed in 2 internet isps. one of them is just wireless network and the other one is DSL ....i was wondering is it possible to use both of them in my mac at the same time and reffer some of applications to one and others to otherone?

A:use wireless & ethernet in mac in the same time

This thread, post #17 for Windows. Don't know if it would work for Mac.
http://forums.techguy.org/networking/849382-solved-how-do-i-specify-2.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/use-wireless-ethernet-in-mac-in-the-same-time.857874/
Relevancy 44.72%

I'm running a Gateway DX - manual https www manualowl com m Gateway Manual with Windows HP -bit and have a Nvidia GeForce nForce i card Trouble from ethernet going to wireless... and a Linksys WRT N router My problem is that I Trouble going from ethernet to wireless... always thought that this desktop computer was wirelessly connected to the internet but I just found out that it was connected via an ethernet cable At the moment everything is working just fine portable computer wirelessly synched with desktop guests can easily access my wifi no problems with the internet etc except when I try to set up my wifi camera as Trouble going from ethernet to wireless... an Trouble going from ethernet to wireless... access point and have the computer recognize it It was at this point after much much research and fiddling I discovered that my network was set up as a Local Area Connection using an ethernet cable In fact the router was never listed in Network under Network Infrastructure until I just now selected quot Add a wireless device quot But when going to Device Manager Network adapters has MS Teredo Tunneling Adapter and NVIDIA nForce Mbps Ethernet and under Network Infrastructure Devices there is MS Wireless Router Module the Linksys router doesn't show up here even though I just added it From all this manipulation it should be obvious that although I can very handily tweak my browser Firefox maintain a clean computer solve various computer related problems - with help from the various forums I am truly at a loss when it comes to networking and wireless set up So what I need to do is get my computer to work wirelessly and to recognize other access points without disrupting an apparently well working computer My gut tells me that I have to disconnect the ethernet cable from the computer in order for the router to be recognized Furthermore if this is correct will the computer then automatically recognize my router and other access points that are close by in the neighborhood or must I do more to make this connection work

A:Trouble going from ethernet to wireless...

Hi flycaster, have you tried prioritizing your wireless connections? Wireless Setting.pdf

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/375926-trouble-going-ethernet-wireless.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Hello I have been having a problem with my ethernet work but wireless not. It basically says acquiring IP address then says limited connectivity. Im using a Dell Vostro 1520 laptop and a dlink router. Thanks for your help.

A:Ethernet works but wireless does not

Check.
You have no conflicting wireless managers installed try using only the Windows built in tool
Remove any unneeded wireless networks from your system.
Remove and re add your network back in, ensure all settings are configured correctly. Connect firstly with the cable and note down everything exactly. i.e. SSID, Security type, encryption type, security key.
If it still dosent work look into updating or rolling back the drivers for your wireless card.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ethernet-works-but-wireless-does-not.1047064/
Relevancy 44.72%

netgear n300 wireless
wnr 2000 v4

Ethernet cable connections are ok
The computers that connect wirelessly have to be restarted often to regain connection.

A:ethernet/wireless router

from one of the computers - can we see an xirrus screen shot please

Run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector
Download and install
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC
Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and install the program.
You will now need to take a screen shot and copy that back to the working PC and attach the screen shot in a reply on the forum here.

If you do not have another PC - do you have a phone connected to the internet - can you photograph the result and post the image in a reply

http://www.xirrus.com/Products/Wi-Fi-Inspector.aspx
( the site now appears to require a business email, and does not allow webbased emails like gmail,hotmail or yahoo etc )

Use the links below

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_download/fid,77196-order,4/download.html
http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Xirrus-Wi-Fi-Monitor-Download-99109.html

Then run and install the program - on a wireless enabled PC/Laptop
if you get an error - You will need to have NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.
On windows 8 - (i do not have windows 8) but, it would appear that, When you first try to run, you may get a message that .net framework is needed, and included in that message is a link to download/install.

Run the program

A user guide is available here
http://www.xirrus.com/cdn/pdf/xirruswifiinspectorguide1-2-0

post a screen shot of the program running.
if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information.

post which SSID name is yours, its located in the list, under network "Adapter Name" (1st column)
Note:
For a reliable (or robust as the Xirrus user guide says) wireless connection you need a signal of about -70 dBm or better. "A desirable signal level for a robust Wi-Fi connection will be green".
note: the signal level is a negative number, so for example -88 is worst and -40 is better

To post a screen shot of the active window.

Windows XP
Hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application (Start> All Programs> Accessories> Paint) and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.

Vista or Windows 7
you can use the "snipping tool" which is found in Start> All programs> Accessories> Snipping Tool
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-use-the-windows-snipping-tool/

Windows 8
you can use the snipping tool > Open Snipping Tool (From the Windows 8 Start Screen, type "snip" and press enter.
>Press the Esc. key.
>go back to your Windows 8 start screen - Swipe from left or press Window Button
>Press Ctrl+PrntScr button to use Snipping Tool
see here
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/opinion/windows/3415854/how-take-screenshot-in-windows-8/
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/3405830/how-take-screenshot-in-windows-8/
To upload the screen shot to the forum, open the full reply window ("Go Advanced" button) and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
Full details are available here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Posting_a_Screenshot

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ethernet-wireless-router.1126392/
Relevancy 44.72%

I'm using a nd computer in the same room to type out this post Both the wireless and ethernet are not working on my primary computer When plugged in with an ethernet cord I get a limited connectivity sign and when using wireless it shows that whenever I try to connect it fails to connect as well as limited connectivity Before it was working fine but some viruses started to mess around with the internet and registry keys but I believe I have cleared almost all of the malware if not all of it The last time I was able to connect to the internet was May th I've neglected this computer for a while and now the antivirus programs Malwarebytes Comodo are out of date When I look at the wireless or ethernet connection status there are packets coming in or out and the ip address it attempts to connect to is I've attempted to reset the modem and router and set a manual address for it to connect to but none of that helped What more information should I post and what should be my first step to solving this problem Side note Also I've finally managed to accrue some money since I have a job now but I don't remember the moderator that helped me last time any way I can find out who he she was I'd very much like to thank them with a donation

A:Wireless and Ethernet not connecting

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic315561-30.htmlSince it appears to me that you never responded to the last questions from Myrti, I suggest that you send a PM to her...and then finish the topic above.In the interim, I am closing this thread to prevent any conflicts/confusion which might be caused.Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/328957/wireless-and-ethernet-not-connecting/
Relevancy 44.72%

My Operating system crashed yesterday and I had to reinstall it thus deleting everything off of my computer including my configuration for wireless internet I installed the wireless adapter Netgear WG v like I was supposed to I put the most up-to-date drivers for my computer to use the adapter as well as for the adapter to operate It detects signals just fine but when I put in my network s WPA passcode my adapter gets stuck in this loop of quot acquiring network address quot and then dropping it and quot acquiring network address quot again This baffles me because or wireless Can't connect ethernet to the code has worked on other machines Then when I tried to connect my computer via ethernet cable not only would my computer not connect to the internet it s not even showing ethernet connection as an option in my Network Connections I really have no idea what to do at this point Can anyone help me with this nbsp

Relevancy 44.72%

hi i just bought a new laptop with windows 7 os. i dont know why but my ethernet (MARVELL YUKON 88E8055 PCI-E GIGABIT ETHERNET CONTROLLER) connection speed is just about the same as my wireless (INTEL WIFI LINK 5100 AGN) i am so confused why my ethernet connection is so slow. With my older computers, ethernet was at least 2x faster...

A:Wireless and ethernet speeds are the same pls help

I'm afraid i don't know anythinge else about your setup.
Is the wireless router connected directly to the Ethernet router? are they combined? what are the brand and product names?
is this DSL, Cable, or Optical Fiber internet?

also, could it be that the other two computers were limited wirelessly to the speed of a WIfI G network, while both the router and the new computer are WiFi n compatible?

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/44867-wireless-ethernet-speeds-same-pls-help.html
Relevancy 44.72%

A friend brought over a computer for me to remove a virus after checking out the computer found that the OS was hosed So backed up data and put a fresh istall of XP pro on the PC legal copy not bootlegged Couldn t get ethernet working figured since he did have a several nasty viruses I d flash the BIOS and right s to the drive just to make sure no nasties were still on the machine All said and done reinstalled XP Pro on an Emachine T Installed drivers Installed a pci Com ethernet card with the right drivers No ethernet cant get an IP tried using a good static IP didn t conect to the internet couldn t ping the router Plugged in a Linksys wireless usb adapter grabbed an IP right away Tryied plugging the ethernet in ethernets get IP s now unplug usb and ethernet stops working Plugged usb back in did all of the windows updates including hardware Tried Ethernet with the new drivers still doesn t work Tried Winsock fix tried XP bat fix Any other suggestions I m stuck nbsp

A:New install no ethernet, but can get wireless

What patch level of XP are you using? If this is SP2, the classic WINSOCK patch is not correct.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reboot the machine.

Let's also see this:

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/new-install-no-ethernet-but-can-get-wireless.654045/