Windows Support Forum

Transfering old MS Works files to New MS Works files

Q: Transfering old MS Works files to New MS Works files

Does anyone know if it is possible to take my old MS Works 2003 files and transfer them to my knew computer which has the latest MS Works and be able to work on and save them?

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Transfering old MS Works files to New MS Works files

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 102.34%

I downloaded some Microsoft updates, rebooted, and now my Microsoft Works Calendar won't come up. I've been to MS website and tried their fix - it didn't work. Next option is to delete Works and reload. My question is - will this deletion get rid of all of my data files along with the program? Also, is Outlook Express part of Works? I've tried to find out, but can't. I'm really concerned about making a mess of things.

A:Solved: Microsoft Works Calendar -works cannot access one or more files.......

Outlook Express is not part of Works.

What version of Works do you have and is it supported by Windows XP?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-microsoft-works-calendar-works-cannot-access-one-or-more-files.780666/
Relevancy 101.48%

firstly about two years ago i was making a game when suddenly my computer slowed down to the point where it took 15 mins to load a working version of windows. about half a year ago my dad got it to work faster after a bout 3 installs after that i estabalished a network with my new PC then the old one stopted working. so i resorted to my dad's other pc(i couldn't get the file transfer on that one either). a few days ago i got my old pc to work properly but now i am having trouble getting a file share on Windows and even Ubuntu but so far i would just like to know how to fix this probvlem on Windows.

A:it works, it breaks then works to the point where i can't share files

Really need more information to be able to help.
What is the make/model and operating system of each computer?
How are they connected?
Do the compuiters show in each other's Network display?
Can the computers ping each other by IP Address and Computer Name?

This is a general trouble shooting guide for simple problems.

Each computer must have a Unique Name.
Each computer must have at least one user account with a password. Vista will not share with computers that do not.
All the computers must have the same Work Group Name.
File Sharing must be turned on for each computer.
Firewalls must be configured to allow sharing.
To Turn on File Sharing.
For the XP computers go to Control Panel, Network Setup wizard.
Click next.
Click next.
If you are running wireless, the ethernet card will be listed. If connected by ethernet and you have a wireless card it will be listed.
For right now, just select "Ignore the listed connections".
Click next.
Select "This computer connects to the internet by a residential gateway".
Click next.
Enter the Work Group name.
Click next.
Select "Turn on File and printer Sharing"
Click next.
Verify all the information is correct.
Click next.
I would select "Just finish the wizard" and not make a disc. It take about the same amount of time to run the disc as to manually enter the data.
Click next.
Click finish.

Vista Computers.
Not sure where to enter the Work Group Name on Vista. Been a couple of years and my wife is using it right now. Lost the file I had with all this info.

Go into Network and Sharing Center.
Next to your Network Name will be a listing of "public" or "private"
"Private" will allow any computer connected to your network to access shared files on the Vista computer unless Passwor Protection is enabled.
"Public" requires a duplicate account/password to be created on the Vista computer for another computer to access files.
Select options you want to share. Shared Files, Printers, Media Files.
Password Protection. This option requires that a password be entered before a computer can access files or printer.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/it-works-it-breaks-then-works-to-the-point-where-i-cant-share-files.884365/
Relevancy 101.48%

I was using an OLD version of Microsoft works....4.x on my XP system.

I just bought Works 9.0 from Microsoft and Installed it but it won't let me open my old Works files. I've searched for a converter but they say they are for Windows 98 systems.

Anybody have any idea how I can open my old files in my new works program?

Thanks in advance!

Relevancy 99.33%

I have just transfered all my Works wps word processor documents from my old Windows 98 computer to my new Vista Home Premium computer but they will not open. I get a error message "Works was unable to open the project you have selected. The file may be corrupted." I have installed the Microsoft Works 4 converter but this does not help. I have also tried saving the documents in rich text format to no avail. Can anyone help please?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-converting-works-4-5-wps-files-to-works-9.848778/
Relevancy 95.89%

Hi all.

My dad recently updated his business laptop. His old laptop was using Windows ME with MS Works 4.5.
His new laptop is using Windows Vista with MS Works 9.0.

I have transferred all of his old files that he needs from his old laptop to his new one, expecting the new Works to be able to open the old files.
However, Works Word Processor 9.0 is unable to open any of the older 4.5 files!

Here is the message I get when I try to open the old files using MS Works 9.0;

Now this is really important because he is unable to access letters, etc. that he really needs to open!

Does he need some kind of converter or something?

If anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

A:Please help! How do I open Works 4.5 files with Works 9.0?

I've just found out that Works 9.0 cannot open Works 4.5 files.
My only option is use Works versions 6 - 8, which can open the 4.5 files.

It's really ridiculous that Works 9.0 cannot open these files.

I have found a Works 7.0 CD so I might give that a try.

The thing is, my dad has since created new files using this Works 9.0. If I "downgrade" to Works 7.0, will it be able to open the 9.0 files?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/please-help-how-do-i-open-works-4-5-files-with-works-9-0.772947/
Relevancy 90.3%

Is there a way to convert Microsoft Word files to Microsoft Works files?

A:Convert Word Files To Works Files

Get WORD to save them as WORKS documents

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/convert-word-files-to-works-files.226692/
Relevancy 84.71%

I helped someone migerate everything from their old computer to their new computer. She has a bunch of Works Progam files she wants to be able to view. Is there a free viewer out there that would allow her to look at Works 4.5 proccessing files and even copy over to WP? Or even a converter to look at with Word Perfect? She does not have Word or the Works CD. Thanks in advance.

Mark

A:Works 4.5 Files

You could try http://www.openoffice.org/ - Don't have it installed now, but it might be able to do the trick.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/works-4-5-files.284733/
Relevancy 84.71%

I am setting up a new desktop for a friend which comes with Works 9 pre-installed. I have transferred a large number of documents from the old machine using Windows Easy Transfer. Many of those files have the extension wps having been created with an older version of Works (although he cannot remember which!).

Works 9 on Windows 7 cannot open those files; and the Works converters available from M$ are not supported by Windows 7! So how can I open those old wps files in Works on Windows 7? Is the only way to obtain a copy of Works/Word which will read the files and save them as .doc files (a real pain because there are hundreds of them!) Btw I have set up a virtual machine using VMPlayer to run old software on XP so I could use that as a means of conversion if push comes to shove.

Thanks for any help and advice.

A:Old Works wps files

You should read this support article:

How to open a Works 6.0, a Works 7.0, a Works 8.0, or a Works 9.0 word processing document in Word

Note: You may be able to open the documents and convert them if you select All Files in the view options of the Open Dialog.

How to open a WPS file

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/79775-old-works-wps-files.html
Relevancy 83.85%

I am using Works 4.0 on a new Dell 2400. For some reason my imported old Works files, including Shreadsheet and database will not open. Any thouights how I can recover these files? Thank You.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/works-will-not-open-files.240439/
Relevancy 83.85%

I just introduced a files works PC with Sharing for some others XP not but Win Pro PC into a small business network containing a few XP machines and an XP server I have a microsoft Sharing with XP PC works for some files but not others access file that I want to open on the new Win machine It and many others very similar are on the server When I navigate to the server through the network or through a mapped drive it doesn't matter I can double-click and open all the files except the one I want It won't open Also if I add a shortcut to the file on the Win machine desktop the original intent it still won't open However if I open access on the Win machine do File-open and navigate to the file it opens Very strange behavior I know MS access works I know the file works I know I have access to the file no password or security issues when I open it within access but for this one file I can't open it via double click Any ideas Thanks Curtis

A:Sharing with XP PC works for some files but not others

Quote: Originally Posted by citrusd85

I just introduced a Win 7 Pro PC into a small business network containing a few XP machines and an XP server. I have a microsoft access file that I want to open on the new Win 7 machine. It, and many others very similar are on the server. When I navigate to the server through the network or through a mapped drive, it doesn't matter, I can double-click and open all the files except the one I want. It won't open. Also if I add a shortcut to the file on the Win 7 machine desktop (the original intent), it still won't open. However, if I open access on the Win 7 machine, do File-open and navigate to the file, it opens. Very strange behavior. I know MS access works, I know the file works, I know I have access to the file (no password or security issues when I open it within access), but for this one file, I can't open it via double click.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Curtis

Curtis,

Please describe what happens when you try to open the file through Explorer. Do you get any sort of errors? Does it happen to OTHER MS Access files or just this one?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/132995-sharing-xp-pc-works-some-files-but-not-others.html
Relevancy 83.85%

I am trying to make backups of events and appointments on the Works 8 calendar and to make a backup of the word processor dictionary.

Does anyone know the names of the files where this data is stored ?

Thanks

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/70098/ms-works-8-data-files/
Relevancy 83.85%

Hi everyone I'm having a problem with the takeown command or with on takeown works files only some permissions in general I installed -bit Windows Ultimate Version Build on a new machine that I built I'm trying to copy files from my old hard-drive to the new one but am having permissions problems After some research I opened a command prompt as an administrator and ran takeown f dir a r On the dir I was trying to access After that I moved the files to the new takeown only works on some files drive It worked for the vast majority of files but for about of them it didn't I tried running takeown on individual files but even though it reports success SUCCESS The file or folder quot e Documents and Settings User Desktop rnd txt quot now owned by the administrators group I'm not able to do anything with the files - quot access is denied quot There doesn't appear to be any consistent type of file or location that this fails with Some txt and takeown only works on some files xls files some mp etc when it worked with plenty of these file types already Does anyone have any ideas I'm hoping I'm just missing something obvious Thanks in advance

A:takeown only works on some files

http://www.askvg.com/wp-content/uplo...p%20Option.zip

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/84057-takeown-only-works-some-files.html
Relevancy 83.85%

I have a dual boot / 2 hard drive WinXP setup. Either the old or new drives booted as C:\ Until I upgraded old drive to XP Pro. Now it is D:\. Works and Money can't find files. Message says to reinstall. Emachine disks only install all the original files & you loose all else. Works is probably looking for the files on C:\ instead of D:\ What can I do? John

A:MS Works can't locate necessary files

Short of reinstalling, not much. This application is supposed to allow you to move applications and make the necessary registry changes. You will have to see if it is any help to you since I haven't tried it for this sort of use. Be very careful if you try it because it was not designed for this specific purpose and could really mess things up.

Change of Address 2.0

The only other alternative is to edit all the entries in the registry manually, if you could even find them all.

You might try right-clicking those recovery CD's and choosing "Explore". You may be lucky enough to find the installers for those applications separate from the rest and be able to run them separately by using their individual installers to just reinstall over the top of your current installations without losing anything.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ms-works-cant-locate-necessary-files.361828/
Relevancy 83.85%

Using a Desktop, Windows XP, Works 7.0, when I save a wordprocessor document, it saves as a WPS. When I go to my documents to open it, I get a message - Windows cannot open this file. The file has been saved as a WPS. What can I do to open these documents?

I also found that when I save a WPS document from my harddrive to a floppy disk, I can't open it from the disk for the same reasons as above.

In the list of my choices to open this file are: Internet Explorer, Microsoft Works Database, Microsoft Works Spreadsheet, Notepad, Wordpad. What can I do to open these files? Thanks for any help.

Relevancy 83.85%

I have received a spreadsheet file via e-mail that is a MS Works .wdb file. I have MS Office97 and Exel97 which are .xls files. I have opened Exel and tried to open as other types including the pull down option to open as a MS Works file but cannot open the .wdb file. Is there a way I can convert the .wdb file so I can open in Exel 97 .xls format? Thanks

A:Opening MS Works files

You should be able to right click the file then select open with then select excel.
Hope this helps

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/opening-ms-works-files.38908/
Relevancy 83.85%

I have never been successful emailing MS Works word processing files. All the intended recipients cannot open and read these documents! I have gone to HTML format out of frustration. The HTML format seems to work but I would prefer the word processor. Does MS Word work better? Does anybody have any suggestions? I like the Works word processor, but if it restricts me, I need to search for viable alternatives. Thanks for helping me.

Relevancy 83.85%

I cannot open these files, which someone sent to me via email. I have XP PRO & Office. When I bought my Dell PC, it came with Works but I deleted it. Is it on the reinstallation CD I got from Dell? If so, how can I find it & just reinstall it alone?

A:Solved: Works files WPS & XLR

You should be able to use System Recovery to selectively re-install software, but I don't think you need to. According to this post http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11739 simply renaming the XLR files to XLS allows Excel to open them, and there's also an import filter for Works files that can be added to Word if it's not already present. (I didn't look that up as it should be available from your Office CD's.)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-works-files-wps-xlr.973023/
Relevancy 82.56%

Have just received a .bcm backup of microsoft works and don't have the works package is there any way I can open it without buying the software?
I can open it in word and excell but the data is all over the place.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/bcm-files-how-do-i-open-them-if-i-dont-have-works-package.718674/
Relevancy 82.56%

I just installed ms works successfully It updated itself with all my ms work files already on the computer also successfully When I open spreadsheet data all of my files open but when I open the word processor data it ask me to choose from word processor spreadsheet database then when I choose word processor text for windows it opens with computer jargon squares etc but no text However one file that is identical to all the others even in the same folder which are originally ms works word processor OPENS successfully I checked properties on this group of files and they are all the same originally ms works word processor and only one opens instantly there is nothing different about it s file format The word processor in my new installation is the old world processor is being part of ms works which I m not using now Also the files I m trying to open are wps when I check in properties I absolutely can t figure this out Thanks for helping nbsp

Relevancy 82.56%

I have files is missing 9 program but works, from IE been trying to update Windows Windows Internet Explorer for Windows for x -based Systems and it refuses to install I get a message to the effect that IE is not installed IE 9 works, but is missing from program files correctly on my computer When I click the IE icon in the tray IE opens up and works just fine IE 9 works, but is missing from program files but it does not show up in IE 9 works, but is missing from program files program files does not show up when I try to find it in an uninstall program and does not show up in any history of updates What I would like to do is remove and reinstall then do the appropriate updates Would I be safe just installing over the current invisible installation A second strange issue is that Kapersky says it is installed and functioning but Windows says it is turned off Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Home Premium bit Processor Pentium R Dual-Core CPU T GHz Intel Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card Mobile Intel R Series Express Chipset Family Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard ASUSTeK Computer Inc K IJ BSN Antivirus Kaspersky Anti-Virus Disabled nbsp

Relevancy 82.56%

Our computer was hit by lightning back in August. Our computer would not boot up so we took it in to a shop and a new motherboard was installed.

That appeared to fix the problem, but since then we have not been able to play any music CD's. A DVD can be played, but no music or data CD's. When I try to open the D: drive, there's simply nothing there. I can hear it trying to read the CD, but then it quits. I've tried all kinds of music CD's (originals).

We have a Dell Vostro 200 using Windows XP. I have updated the BIOS and reinstalled the firmware.
Here's the name of the drive: HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA-H73N

Any help would be appreciated- wondering if it's best to just get a new drive?

Relevancy 82.56%

A friend of mine has important files that were saved in Works. He needs to open them in Word. He's working with Word 97, but doesn't know the version of Works. I gave him the info re: file types, open with Works 3.0 or Works 4.0 (choosing from the drop down menu in Word). He chose both versions of Works and it didn't work. Is there a way he can convert the Works files to Word files? Thanks...

Relevancy 82.56%

Is there someway I could fairly easily tranfer all of the documents I have stored in MS Works to a CD for backup? When I right click on the Works icon on my desktop, I see that I can send to a floppy but I want to send it to a CD. Thanks.

Relevancy 82.56%

My brother-in-law has just bought a laptop with Works 7 installed, including the rather peculiar new word-processor. He wants to transfer his old Word for Windows DOC files from his old W98 computer. We did the transfer and are able to open the DOC files, but the formatting (especially of tables, which he uses a lot) is not perfectly preserved.

Is there anything we can do to solve this problem?

Alan Jones

A:Importing Word DOC files into Works 7

Only one, install the real MS-Word from the Office package.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/importing-word-doc-files-into-works-7.18599/
Relevancy 82.56%

I've downloaded the converter from microsoft, but it still keeps giving me that "either there's no converter for this or the file is corrupt" line, and it works on other computers so I know it's the computer not the usb. I'm so fed up with this...help?

A:Microsoft works 8 won't open .doc files

Don't take offense...You said you downloaded the converter, but did you install it??

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/microsoft-works-8-wont-open-doc-files-200622.html
Relevancy 82.56%

How can I get my MS Works database files to be able to be transferred to another program such as Open Office or Office? I have a lot of collected information in many files that I can't share with anyone else who doesn't have Works. The Office Database is far too complicated for me and much more powerful than I need for my own use.

A:Microsoft Works Database files

Did you TRY exporting?

A typical choice for database conversions is to export -> CSV format and then work with that
to create the imports. Hint: Export only one TABLE at a time.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/microsoft-works-database-files.207807/
Relevancy 82.56%

Hi when using 'Microsoft Works', I lost 3 pages of text, I was working on. I was transferring some text from various sites at the time. So was aware that certain text may cause a problem. Once before when this happened, the work came back when shutting down & restarting 'Works', but on the last occassion it was lost, luckily I had printed copies. I did want to save on HD as well though, is there any way of retrieving these lost pages? Is there any programs that may help?

Appreciate any help

Thx

A:Recovery Of Lost Files? WORKS?

It's not very clear what you did or how you lost files, but if you think thay are still on your drive, shut down that machine immediately before they get overwritten by new data.

Then boot with a CD that can look for the files while Windows is not running, like:
Parted Magic disk partitioning, PC repair, and file recovery tool (Bootable CD or USB image)
If you prefer a bootable USB key, download and run Linux Live USB Creator. Choose the Parted Magic distro, and it will download it and automatically create a bootable USB key.

This CD (or key) contains many useful tools. You can partition, recover files, recover lost partitions, make disk images (by several different methods), transfer files between media, scan for viruses (It can serve as an Alternative Trusted Platform for search and elimination of rootkits and bootkits), examine and benchmark hardware, access the internet, and much more.
Testdisk is on that CD.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/recovery-of-lost-files-works.1059637/
Relevancy 82.56%

I am getting the following message when trying to open a file from my University's Blackboard....

"There is not enough memory to open file "C:\ ...etc...etc...doc". Close your document, close other programs, and then try again."

What the heck does this mean and how can I fix this...? I need my documents from this site... I have used it before, this is the first issue with it.

Thanks in advance!

Jinxy

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/microsoft-works-cant-open-files.320884/
Relevancy 82.56%

I was trying to help a friend with her new computer. She had been saving all documents typed in Works under My Documents since it was the default. I set up folders and began to move the documents and the files continued to replicate themselves under My Documents.

Each time a file was selected whether by right clicking, dragging and dropping, etc. a new file was added of the same thing. Renamed itseld as Copy 1, Copy 2, etc

Any ideas?

A:Microsoft Works Files Replicating

I helped someone with this EXACT same problem.

1. Do NOT hold the Ctrl key while dragging. Ctrl+Drag = copy

2. Perhaps the Ctrl key is stuck down on your keyboard. Try another keyboard.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/microsoft-works-files-replicating.206432/
Relevancy 82.56%

Someone sent me some attachment files that are WPS & XLR types. I cannot open them & learned that they are Works files.

When I got my PC 2 years ago (XP PRO), it came with Works, but I deleted it because I use Office. I have an reinstallation CD from Dell & am wondering if Works is on it. If so, how can I find & install it without having to reinstall the operating system?

If this is not possible, is there some qualtity software out there that will convert them to DOC & XLS files types?:

Relevancy 81.7%

My works database used to work fine now when I try to print a form I get an out of memory error. I can go to another computer and no error.
another problem I have is that my files take a long time to open. When I double click to open a file it seems like the computer is searching the network for the file.
I am Virus free. Defraged and 2 MEGS of memory nothing changed when I added an extra meg of memory
any help will be appreciated.
Wanblihota

A:Microsoft Works & Slow opening files

Try running chkdsk /r.

Start/Run...type chkdsk /r (space between k and /) and hit Enter. Type Y in response to onscreen question and hit Enter. Reboot and let the command run. The system will boot into XP automatically when chkdsk /r is complete.

Louis

You might also check your virtual memory settings...IMO, XP should be controlling the size of virtual memory.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/256667/microsoft-works-slow-opening-files/
Relevancy 81.7%

I am working on a pc that has important wks files created in a very old Works program I believe ver There are about files I am trying to transfer these file to a new computer with MS Office installed I have read on the internet that I can open the files one at the time with Excell and save as xls Two problems with this approach I would have to do this manually one at the time and I tried this and the file files a need xls(Excell) to wks(Works) of batch covert I to will not open without and window asking me all sorts of technical questions I don't understand about the file I believe the reason for this is because the Works files were created with version maybe older and the Office version is much newer I have both and I will include a snapshot of the window that occurs when I try to open with Excell just for your viewing however I would prefer a software program that would simply convert the files I found one who's reliability is in question and it must be purchased for bucks Needless to say I am not going to purchase any software that I will use only once to convert files that are important to someone else not me I would like to help the owner upgrade to Office or Excell will accomplish I need to covert a batch of wks(Works) files to xls(Excell) the tasks he was using Works for and do it better Please offer me suggestions and I thank you

A:I need to covert a batch of wks(Works) files to xls(Excell)

This Microsoft Article should help:
Open Microsoft Works files in Excel - Excel - Office.com

and this:
Move from Microsoft Works to Microsoft Office 2010 - Excel - Office.com

http://www.sevenforums.com/microsoft-office/185235-i-need-covert-batch-wks-works-files-xls-excell.html
Relevancy 81.7%

I used to have a version of Excel, but I believe I disabled it or
partially erased it.

Now I have been getting some e-mails with attached
excel files ".xls" and can not seem to find any way to
read them.

I am running Windows 98

Another straange thing, when I do click on an ".xls" file
Adoby Acrobat comes up to try to read it.

A:Reading Excel files Using Microsoft Works ?

Go here http://search.microsoft.com/search/results.aspx?st=b&View=en-us&na=82&qu=.xls+file+microsoft+viewer

and see if you can find a viewer for your OS etc.

Welcome to TSG!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/reading-excel-files-using-microsoft-works.189505/
Relevancy 81.7%

Hello Baisicaly I am making a project in Macromedia Flash and I have noticed that some computers not only do not have the Adobe Flash player installed on their hard drive when I try to install it the files are simply not made in program files nor can I 'Open with ' Flash player from my USB stick On the other hand I can use any Flash products including YT in the browsers with no problems The strangest part is at school where I am making this project and on my computer Windows and Vista respectively there are no problems However at work and other home computers I tested it on around different computers and the same issue works Can't in Flash browsers but files .swf play occurs It happens with Windows Vista and XP also it is not a virus Can't play .swf files but Flash works in browsers Is this a change that has been made Please help I tried Googling this issue however it looks like amateur Flash product makers are a very small niche and I cannot find any info on this I'm guessing the plug-in to the browsers is the standard nowadays but how do I make sure people can open my physcial swf file not from a browser Thanks

A:Can't play .swf files but Flash works in browsers

Adobe flash player plugin only works with the browser is not a player outside that. If you wanna play the files you can do 3 things. 1 if you have the flash program to create flash files you can see it there, you can download a program/codec to open swf files with the media player of your preference or you can create a dummy html page embed the file you wanna watch and open that page with the browser of your preference.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f120/cant-play-swf-files-but-flash-works-in-browsers-679037.html
Relevancy 81.7%

We are using IE 11, and cannot open word or excel files in SharePoint library by Office 2013. The OpenDocuments class add-on is enabled. And only one computer has this issue.

Windows 7
Only Office 2013 - version 15.4631.1000
Internet Explorer - IE11.0.9600.17207 update 11.0.10 (IE 32-bit)
The error messages is: "To open this document, your computer must be running a supported version of Microsoft Office application and a browser that supports opening files directly from the Office Online"

Thanks in advance!

A:SharePoint cannot open files via IE 11, while chrome works well.

Hi,
This issue occurs because the SharePoint OpenDocuments Class (OWSSUPP.DLL) Internet Explorer Add-in is the wrong version due to having multiple versions of Office on the same
workstation. To check the version open Internet Explorer when the error is showing, go to Tools, Manage Add-ons. In Manage Add-ons click on SharePoint OpenDocuments Class and notice the version is any version other than 14.0.
The details can be found and solved at:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2540922
Meanwhile try to reset the Internet Explorer, by resetting Internet Explorer settings, you return it to the state it was in when it was first installed on your computer. This is useful for troubleshooting problems that might be caused by settings that
were changed after installation.
a. Close all Internet Explorer and Explorer windows that are currently open.
b. Start Internet Explorer.
c. On the Tools menu, tap or click Internet options. If you don't see the Tools menu, press Alt.

d. In the Internet Options window, tap or click the Advanced tab.
e. Tap or click Reset
Details can be found at:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

Regards

Wade Liu
TechNet Community Support

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/a797f452-974b-4296-afea-292592626536/sharepoint-cannot-open-files-via-ie-11-while-chrome-works-well?forum=ieitprocurrentver
Relevancy 81.7%

I am using Microsoft Works Word and it cannot open .doc files which are old Microsoft word documents. It says "There is not enough memory to open file XXXX. Close your document, close other programs and try again." Is this suppose to happen? I have to use Abi Word to open my files now.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/258968/microsoft-works-word-cannot-open-doc-files/
Relevancy 81.7%

hi

just a curious question... on my Dell work laptop, i don't have any system files on the root of C, like io.sys, etc, and this is on a Win 7 Pro 64bit installed from a "system repair Dell DVD".

On my home pc instead where i have win 7 Ultimate 64bit, i do have some files on C's root.

having said that everything works fine.. just curious, where are those system files?

or it depends by how the installation was made?

tnx

A:C root folder no system files (but everything works)

Is the work PC set to show hidden and operating system files from tools/folder options/view menu in Explorer?

With that enabled on my Home Premium installation, I show 8 items, but not io.sys.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/341242-c-root-folder-no-system-files-but-everything-works.html
Relevancy 81.7%

I was experimenting with controlling access to my own created windows folders by doing the following; right click file >properties>security>edit>deny full control...

I did this on an empty folder and it was easy to set back to original state, but then tried it on a file with some fairly important stuff in and now when I click to open it says; "you don't have permission to access this folder"

How do I regian access, or set it to its original state?

Thanks.

A:I was trying to see how protecting files works and might have made a mistake..

As we have no way of verifying the actual situation or intent, we cannot assist to get around restrictions other than to say log in as the Administrator and then see if you can reverse it.

Closing thread.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-was-trying-to-see-how-protecting-files-works-and-might-have-made-a-mistake.1008447/
Relevancy 81.7%

The following single line batch file works great in Windows 8 but when carried over to Windows Vista it open a dos cmd window rapidly and closes leaving nothing done. It is suppose to launch python 3 script
CALL CCS.exe

Have tried other recommended command like START this also fails to work.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dc07a381-7579-47ea-89c1-e374eeda0d7e/batch-files-works-win-8-fails-win-vista?forum=MTCWin8
Relevancy 81.7%

I am have a really tough time trying to convert a file from Word Perfect format to Word format. I tried to google it myself and figure it out, but either it all cost money or it still didn't work. Anyone have any suggestions?

-Alex

A:Converting WPS or Works files to Word Documents

WordPerfect and Works are 2 completely different animals -- although last time I looked, Works word processor files did have "wps" extensions. Which program are you actually using?

(Whichever, you should be able to go File > Save As, then set an option for file type [to save as] -- if there's an RTF option, Word should handle the output ... although you may lose some features if your original file is, err, "elaborate")

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/converting-wps-or-works-files-to-word-documents.542896/
Relevancy 81.7%

I use Excel 2000 but need to send a spreadsheet to someone using Win98 and "Works". How can I save this file so that he can use? Thanks

A:saving Excel 2000 files for use in Works

Either export it to word or open word and import the file, then when you save it save it in the works format.

That should work.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/saving-excel-2000-files-for-use-in-works.91598/
Relevancy 81.7%

and i'm pretty sure it has something to do with the chipset drivers i recently installed.

ever since then i haven't been able to play video on my comp (AT ALL).

what's wierd is that i can watch videos on the internet, like youtube and stuff. but i can't view video files.

i know that i have the correct codecs installed, so it's not that. and i tried VLC player but what happens is that it uses up all my resources and still won't work, causing me the end the process.

can anyone help me out please?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-play-video-files-audio-works-though.557734/
Relevancy 80.84%

I have folder 1 and folder 2. Folder 1 works but some files give access denied. Folder 2 gives access denied.

Under the sharing tab under file properties, the settings are exactly the same for the two folders. The user group Everyone is checked and Read permission is checked (XP pro). None of the files are in use with another program because I can modify them on the local computer. The client computer runs XP Home.

WTH is going on???

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/network-file-sharing-only-works-with-some-folders-and-files.477290/
Relevancy 80.84%

Hello!
We had a problem with the PC and Works will no longer reinstall. The Windows installer starts up and then tells us that it cannot find the Works Service files. We 've reinstalled Windows and tried to install Works 2000, but no luck. Now everytime I turn on the PC The installer statrs up and tries to go thru the process again, but just say cannot find the Service files. Please help!
S

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-installer-and-works-2000-service-files.52217/
Relevancy 80.84%

As of today my main computer no longer connects to the internet the DSL cable is plugged into the back but nothing related to the internet will work Internet Explorer Outlook etc etc but the computer downstairs which is also connected to the same DSL connects fine Also if I unplug the cable from the back of the tower and plug it into my laptop my laptop connects fine so it s just my main computer that won t connect now as to what I ve done differently to my main computer today I re-installed Norton Anti-Virus on my main computer It s a Windows and ran the full system scan It came up with or so results or so which it couldn t delete and two of which it couldn t delete but it quarantined them saying they were Trojan Horse viruses the two files it quaratined were quot uni eh exe quot and quot unin exe quot Then the ones that it said it couldn t Works Files...help! Longer No Internet Infected After Deleting delete I searched for and manually deleted on my own if they were still there Two of them wouldn t delete because it said Windows was currently using them so I went into Safe Mode to delete them those two files were C WINDOWS webhdll dll and C WINDOWS SYSTEM typftp Internet No Longer Works After Deleting Infected Files...help! exe Then when I restarted regularly the internet no longer worked The internet DID work before I manually deleted the threats that Norton found but hasn t since I restarted in safe mode after deleting the last two With that being said what should can I do now All of my files and folders are on there including the pages for my website and my website editor which I need to have to be able to update my site So if anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated Thanks in advance -Alec Here s the Norton Anti-Virus log from today I burned it onto a CD from my main computer and put it on the computer I m currently on I deleted the files that couldn t be deleted by Norton Category Threat alerts Date Feature Threat Name Action Taken Item Type Target Suspicious Action Virus Definition Version Product Version User Name Computer Name Details PM Virus scanner Adware ZenoSearch Manually deleted File N A N A chartman OEMCOMPUTER quot Threat category AdwareSource C ZICORN exe Description The file C ZICORN exe is a Adware threat quot PM Virus scanner Adware ZenoSearch Manually deleted File N A N A chartman OEMCOMPUTER quot Threat category AdwareSource C RECYCLED DC EXE Description The file C RECYCLED DC EXE is a Adware threat quot PM Virus scanner Trackware Webhancer No action taken File N A N A chartman OEMCOMPUTER quot Threat category TrackwareSource C Program Files whInstall whInstaller exe Description The file C Program Files whInstall whInstaller exe is a Trackware threat quot PM Virus scanner Spyware e give Delete failed File N A N A chartman OEMCOMPUTER quot Threat category SpywareSource C Program Files E G IeBHOs dll Description The file C Program Files E G IeBHOs dll is a Spyware threat quot PM Virus scanner Adware Medload Manually deleted File N A N A chartman OEMCOMPUTER quot Threat category AdwareSource C WINDOWS unstall exe Description The file C WINDOWS unstall exe is a Adware threat quot PM Virus scanner Adware NetOptimizer Delete failed File N A N A chartman OEMCOMPUTER quot Threat category AdwareSource C WINDOWS nem dll Description The file C WINDOWS nem dll is a Adware threat quot PM Virus scanner Adware NetOptimizer Manually deleted File N A N A chartman OEMCOMPUTER quot Threat category AdwareSource C WINDOWS optimize exe Description The file C WINDOWS optimize exe is a Adware threat quot PM Virus scanner Adware Popuppers Delete failed File N A N A chartman OEMCOMPUTER quot Threat category AdwareSource eee exe Description The compressed file eee exe within C WINDOWS exe is a Adware threat quot PM Virus scanner Adware Popuppers Manually deleted File N A N A chartman OEMCOMPUTER quot Threat category AdwareSource C WINDOWS exe Description The file C WINDOWS exe is a Adware threat quot PM Virus sc... Read more

A:Internet No Longer Works After Deleting Infected Files...help!

Sometimes, threats add content to the Layered Service Provider stack in the Winsock, and when the threats are removed, they leave gaps in the list. These gaps can effectively limit or prevent connection to the internet until they are repaired. There is an easy way to repair the Winsock, but it involves downloading a small program and running it. You can copy the program to a floppy or other media and install it on your computer. It should only be about 182 kb.If you can't see the word "finish" on the bottom corner of the program window, drag the corner to make it visible.LSP fix

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/47237/internet-no-longer-works-after-deleting-infected-fileshelp/
Relevancy 80.84%

I am new at this and I have Windows 7. I am trying to open an attachment to my mail and it keeps giving me this error message :" works cannot open. the file may be in use by another application, the file may not be supported by any of the installed converters, or the file may be corrupt." I need to remedy this problem ASAP as these files are needed for my childrens home schooling by Mon 08/30/10. CAN ANYONE HELP ME AND REMEMBER THAT I AM A BEGINNER. THANK YOU

Relevancy 80.84%

Win XP SP Works Error Message Mail merge cannot continue because works is missing several files it needs To reinstall these missing files close your project and the program then run setup again This is the error message I get when I try to merge a data several merge is continue because files missing Mail it needs cannot works file into the word processor using Microsoft works Have reinstalled several times to no avail This is what has been Mail merge cannot continue because works is missing several files it needs tried Used Ad-Aware SE Spybot History Kill ChkDsk Disk Cleanup Defragmenter and McAfee Firewall and Virus Scan Relink to database Tried changing selection in the checkbox for quot First row of data contains column headers quot Updated MDAC components to the MDAC version Release Manifest for MDAC http support microsoft com kbid http msdn microsoft com data Click on MDAC on the right pane Installed All Works updates AND AS YOU CAN SEE MICROSOFT IS A BIG HELP AGAIN http support microsoft com kb q The data source is a works data base built with works Everything else including all works functions are fine just cant merge my data base file or any other file into a word processor document My data file is actually names and addresses that I print onto mailing labels I have saved the document as both text and data with the same result It always worked before nbsp

A:Mail merge cannot continue because works is missing several files it needs

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/mail-merge-cannot-continue-because-works-is-missing-several-files-it-needs.359437/
Relevancy 80.84%

Have a laptop here that had the crypto locker virus, or a variant of it. Using Combofix this now appears to have gone and all traces have been removed from the registry, however when I try to open the spreadsheet files, .xlr, I get a message saying they are corrupt or not compatible with works. Is there any way to repair these files?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/microsoft-works-spreadsheet-files-corrupt-cryptolocker.1151381/
Relevancy 80.84%

Hi guys I know there have been many similar posts but none of them caries any responses that worked for me Basically what is happening is that for some time now I am unable to upload anything to any http or use programs like Dropbox Google Drive Websites like YouTube just jumps to and process video which never ends and crashes eventually while WeTransfer hangs around and timer goes crazy until that crashes as well Dropbox and Google Drive shows that they are syncing Can't bit works via upload fine. Windows 64 files Ftp Pro 7 http. but it never ends I managed to upload little files less than mb to Dropbox but it took ages and nothing else went through On the other hand FileZilla seems to be handling ftp connections all right I've Can't upload files via http. Ftp works fine. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit been trying to solve this for days now and it's really messing up with my work so any suggestions will be greatly appreciated I am using Windows Pro bit Connect wirelessly to Talk-Talk's Huawei HG a but also tried plugging my PC in which worked for internet but not for upload Here is a list of Can't upload files via http. Ftp works fine. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit what I tried by now Used a different browser Chrome IE Started PC in a Safe Mode with Networking Removed Avast and tried without any anty-virus software Disabled Windows Firewall Removed CC cleaner Spybot Search and Destroy Bonjour Checked for suspicious activity in running services and disabled Bonjour Started Windows with all services running Can't upload files via http. Ftp works fine. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit with only essential services running Turned firewall on my router off Removed software that was installed about time I started to experience the problem Uploaded file via the same network but on a different PC worked fine Tried connecting with a cable - internet work problem persist Scanned for Viruses Malware and broken registry entries I can't think of anything else for now Hopefully you guys will have some better ideas Thanks a lot

A:Can't upload files via http. Ftp works fine. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

Welcome to Seven Forums,

Follow Step# 4 from this link and see if helps.

An update will be nice.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/319093-cant-upload-files-via-http-ftp-works-fine-windows-7-pro-64-bit.html
Relevancy 80.84%

Win XP Pro SP3

The computer boots andappears normal, but I can't print, see other network computers or the internet. The internet connection works

Also, I Keep getting a pop up window that says:
"Google update.exe bad image

The application or DLL c:\windows\system32 vikuyomo.dll is not a valid image...please check this agains your installation disk.

Anyone know how or have any experience with this?

A:Computer works but cant share files, print or internet

Welcome to TSG---

Download Hijack This here, and save it to your desktop.
Double-click to run, and choose Do a system scan and save a logfile.
When the scan finishes and the logfile pops up in notepad,
Click EDIT, click SELECT ALL.
Click EDIT again, and click COPY.

Paste the content of the logfile into your next reply.

DO NOT fix anything yet.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-works-but-cant-share-files-print-or-internet.898718/
Relevancy 80.84%

I have tried every solution possible None of them work These be security(No works) files internet can't solution Your opened. for me because - I tried to Create a New User account I click on quot Manage User Account quot nothing happens I tried resetting setting every option on local intranet and internet None of them work ultimately After downloading Malwarebytes Anti-Malware the problem won't let me get to installation only So can't scan for viruses In many places I have seen instructions to delete the HKEY CURRENT USER Software Microsoft Windows Curre ntVersion Explorer FolderTypes These files can't be opened. Your internet security(No solution works) ef b cb-f ce- - - ca c e c key in order to fix this issue but it is not showing up in my registry These files can't be opened. Your internet security(No solution works) at all Also I am not able to use regedit gepdit or mmc as even that brings up the same error System Restore too is not accessible due to the same error I can't access the group policy management editor either due to the same problem Please help me out This is very frustrating

A:These files can't be opened. Your internet security(No solution works)

Hello tanuj20 and welcome to Seven Forums. Sorry you're having these issues.

Are you able to start your computer in Safe Mode? If yes, see if you can install, update, and run a full Malwarebytes scan. It sounds like malware may have taken over your computer for so many things not to work at the same time.

Which files are you not able to open? It's possible you no longer have ownership rights due to damaged or corrupt system files. You could try running a System File Checker scan. If any problems are noted run the scan two more times, rebooting between each scan.

If you're still having issues you could try to take ownership of a problem file using this shortcut here. Do not try to take ownership of the entire C: drive. It will also help if you post your system specs as well as any specific error messages and/or error codes you receive. I'd also suggest not trying to change things in the registry without first knowing for sure what you're dealing with and making a backup.

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/193482-these-files-cant-opened-your-internet-security-no-solution-works.html
Relevancy 80.84%

I uninstalled Norton System Works 2002. I wanted to install a new virus program instead of NAV that was included in NSW 2002. I used the Uninstall routine that came with NSW. After I uninstalled I installed my new virus program. There is no problem with the new virus program but there were some files left over from NSW. I now get annoying pop up dialog boxes indicating that some files cannot be found. These are all file names left over from NSW. I went to Symentec's website to see if there was a KB paper that would clear up this problem, but found nothing. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can get rid of these annoyances? Some of the file names are SEVINST.EXE, and CSINJECT.EXE.Thanks, jerrydee(Moderator edit: post moved to more appropriate forum. jgweed)

A:Uninstalling Leftover Files From Norton System Works

This article from Symantic may be of some help.http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nsw.n...001091013435207

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/46477/uninstalling-leftover-files-from-norton-system-works/
Relevancy 80.84%

I have set up a homegroup using Windows on a desktop and Windows on a laptop For some reason I can directly Homegroup but files??? accessing/sharing works for streaming, not access the documents on the laptop from the desktop but when I try to access documents on the desktop from the laptop I get the message quot You do not have permission to access quot There are a couple weird exceptions I can STREAM content that's on my deskop to Homegroup works for streaming, but not accessing/sharing files??? my laptop using Windows Media Player so pictures videos and music come through using Media Player I just can't physically access the folders where this content is saved e g My Music My Videos etc If I save items on my desktop in folders specifically labeled quot Public quot e g Public Documents Public Downloads etc I can access the content from my laptop no problem But ONLY if the files in in these quot public quot folders What gives When I set up the homegroup I clicked all boxes under quot share libraries and printers quot e g pictures music documents etc so not sure what's going on here ANY IDEAS THANKS

A:Homegroup works for streaming, but not accessing/sharing files???

Try going through the Homegroup trouble shooter. When in doubt with the Homegroup it's best to start over again by leaving the Homegroup on all machines then rejoin.

Ultimate Troubleshooting Guide for Windows 7 HomeGroup Connection Issues - Help Desk Geek

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/315039-homegroup-works-streaming-but-not-accessing-sharing-files.html
Relevancy 80.84%

Looks like they got the bugs out. I installed it on my Vista 64 system. It did as claimed display PGS subs from an .m2ts file. Also I could advance the slider without the player crashing.

VLC media player - Video software and downloads - VideoHelp.com

http://www.vistax64.com/software/280162-vlc-1-1-0-stable-release-actually-works-pgs-subs-m2ts-files.html
Relevancy 79.98%

So I'm trying out the chromecast device to hopefully eliminate having to move my laptop across the room and connect it via hdmi every night to watch movies on my tv screen. In windows 7 I could just drag the file into a new chrome page and it would open the file which could then be cast. Now when I drag a movie file into chrome it creates a download window in the bottom of chrome like any other file download, and then if I open it from that it just opens my default video player and plays the movie file. Does anyone know of a way to view local video files in chrome browser like you could in windows 7? Thanks for any suggestions!!!

A:viewing local video files in chrome no longer works?

Wow no suggestions yet? Anyways still kinda wondering what the deal is with it, havn't resolved it yet. Was really hoping someone has figured it out because it's kind of annoying to not be able to watch videos wirelessly, the cast feature built into win10 is terribly buggy on my machine at least.

http://www.tenforums.com/browsers-email/34812-viewing-local-video-files-chrome-no-longer-works.html
Relevancy 79.98%

I've been using Microsoft Works Word Processor for a processor of because nulls not searchable Works word embedded files few years on Windows and it works fine However I was dismayed to find out that I cannot do a bulk search for text across multiple files It turns out that Works embeds nulls between each character So CAT in a file is C null A null T null There is no way with any search program that I know of to search all the wps files in a folder Works word processor files not searchable because of embedded nulls that have the word quot CAT quot in them I could keep two copies of every file one in txt format but my goodness what a pain So I'm looking for a A program that will do bulk searches of wps files embedded nulls are tricky you really can't type them in or b Another program that is similar to Works Office is NOT similar to Works it's a pain in the neck to use Any help would be great appreciated Thanks Donald

A:Works word processor files not searchable because of embedded nulls

Hi Donalds, welcome to the Seven Forums.

It's years since I have even seen Microsoft Works, I am afraid I am not able to tell you how to search files with those embedded nulls.

However, if I recall it correctly Works can also save using the Rich Text Format (.rtf). If so, you could try if the document content is searchable when saved as .rtf. If so, you would not only solve your issue but also make your documents more interchangeable, as the .rtf files can be shared, opened and edited with almost every modern word processor.

Trying to remember the various features of Microsoft Works word processor, I think I'm not too much wrong by recommending you the Windows 7 native WordPad word processor, to use it instead of Works. WordPad has all features needed for composing, editing and formatting complex documents. It also handles embedded images very nicely.

Kari

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/309921-works-word-processor-files-not-searchable-because-embedded-nulls.html
Relevancy 79.98%

Help!
I recently had PC in shop to have malware etc. removed.
Ever since, it hangs for about 5 min. before shut down &
all of my microsoft works documents & program are corrupted.
I have never been 1 to download a bunch of stuff so am stumped..
I know that he added a couple of programs, 1 being SUPER Anti-Spyware which concerns me a bit..
Oh, & wow, do I have a few items taking up CPU storge in my windows taska manager such as..
Javaw which takes about 90%
Speaking of, should I have 8 instances running under svchost.exe???

A:Help! Windows hanging at shut down, Microsoft Works & Files Corrupted???

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-windows-hanging-at-shut-down-microsoft-works-files-corrupted.764490/
Relevancy 79.98%

Hi Didn t put this in with certain out plays Sound headphone ONE WORKS! Hardware audio Why? only of files. Hardware b c my hardware works perfectly If it needs to be moved though please do I Sound plays out of ONE headphone only with certain audio files. Why? Hardware WORKS! m a transcriber I ve noticed that with some international audio sound only plays out of my LEFT headphone when headphones are plugged Sound plays out of ONE headphone only with certain audio files. Why? Hardware WORKS! directly into my laptop I know without question that there is nothing at all wrong with either the laptop or headphones of files play through both headphones as expected When I plug my headphones into the quot left quot output jack in my USB audio interface I use it for home recording it will spit the audio out to both headphones But if I go directly into the computer or use the quot headphones quot jack on the audio interface actually I only get sound on the left side Someone else suggested that this is b c the creator of the audio recorded it in stereo instead of mono Okay but what I need to know is how to make it so I can plug headphones directly into my laptop s headphone jack and hear the audio on BOTH sides I d rather not use the audio interface to do that because I need the USB jack it s occupying for my foot pedal and mouse Thanks for any suggestions you can offer as to switching either the audio to I guess stereo if that s the problem or another way of getting it to play out of both earphones when they re directly connected to the computer Blue nbsp

A:Sound plays out of ONE headphone only with certain audio files. Why? Hardware WORKS!

Welcome to TSG, blue.

TheBluestLotus said:

Someone else suggested that this is b/c the creator of the audio recorded it in stereo instead of mono. Click to expand...

The person who suggested this is quite correct. Unfortuantely, since the files were saved as mono, the only thing you can really do to solve the problem would be to edit the sound files using a program like Audacity.

Below is a link to show how to change the files from Mono to Stereo using Audacity.
http://www.ehow.com/how_2131095_convert-mono-stereo.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sound-plays-out-of-one-headphone-only-with-certain-audio-files-why-hardware-works.879014/
Relevancy 79.98%

I have enabled file sharing on my home network so that my wife's XP machine can access photos and music stored on my Vista Home Premium box Also share printers I have set up non-password protected sharing and - new Works but File Vista not fine, visible files Sharing it works fine overall - I can see everything she shares and vice versa printers work etc The only problem we're having is the photos Whenever I add new photos they don't show up until I re-share the folder If I put new photos in a sub-folder the sub-folder is visible and can be opened without errors but it appears empty until I re-share the entire photo folder I cannot find any information about this problem but it just occurred to me that I gave the guest account read-only access to the photo folder instead of full permissions I guess that's one thing to try when I get home but I would like to keep it read-only so that nothing happens to the pictures accidentally Any other suggestions

A:Vista File Sharing - Works fine, but new files not visible

Originally Posted by CRJpn

I have enabled file sharing on my home network so that my wife's XP machine can access photos and music stored on my Vista Home Premium box. Also share printers.

I have set up non-password protected sharing, and it works fine overall - I can see everything she shares, and vice versa, printers work, etc.

The only problem we're having is the photos. Whenever I add new photos they don't show up until I re-share the folder. If I put new photos in a sub-folder, the sub-folder is visible and can be opened without errors, but it appears empty until I re-share the entire photo folder.

I cannot find any information about this problem, but it just occurred to me that I gave the guest account read-only access to the photo folder instead of full permissions. I guess that's one thing to try when I get home, but I would like to keep it read-only so that nothing happens to the pictures accidentally.

Any other suggestions?

this is vistas own protection, since you are adding the files at a later date, the files and folders are shared individually, so even if you add the photos to a shared folder, the photos wont be shared as they werent included when you shared the folder initially, just right click the new folder and just share that folder, you are just adding the folder then and all its contents to the shared network.

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/207957-vista-file-sharing-works-fine-but-new-files-not-visible.html
Relevancy 79.12%

Ive got a wireless network setup between my Vista Laptop and XP box via a Netgear DG PN The internet network works, Wireless Solved: (Internet & Vista share XP files) cant is accessible wirelessly from the laptop but I am unable to share files between the two I have previously shared files with a friends laptop by simply plugging in the wireless dongle and allowing vista to complete the setup so I assume its an issue with the laptop settings Details below dont have much experience with vista sorry On the vista Laptop - gt Network Solved: Wireless network XP & Vista (Internet works, cant share files) Sharing Centre - gt File sharing is ON Network discovery is ON Network type is PRIVATE NETWORK Public folder sharing is ON When trying to access Network Laptop My laptops name I can view local files When trying to access Network XPBox I get windows cannot access error --- On the XP Box I CAN SEE Laptop under MSHOME workgroup name same on both computers as suggested somewhere else but when I attempt to access I receive Laptop not accessible --- Hope that s enough detail im sure im missing some Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Solved: Wireless network XP & Vista (Internet works, cant share files)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-wireless-network-xp-vista-internet-works-cant-share-files.804437/
Relevancy 79.12%

Hello When one follows the instructions in Microsoft kb a workaround for a Works Entry Point Error and runs the Up/Windows Cleanup Deleted Program Works Files Clean Installer Works Clean Up Utility followed by the Windows Installer Clean Up Utility all works files located in Program Files are completely wiped out When I upgraded from Works to I kept all works files in Program Files instead of moving them to My Documents The utility s wiped out years of works personal data files I have tried a variety of recovery programs that all recover about the same but none will recover these files this was a really thorough utility wdb wks and wps files I contacted Microsoft and all they did was search C drive including temp and hidden folders via live assist They would not recommend any third party recovery programs Are there any recovery programs that you would recommend that would do the trick I am Works Clean Up/Windows Installer Cleanup Deleted Program Files dumbfounded at how these various recovery programs I have been using have found deleted files from up to a year ago but not these works files Thanks nbsp

A:Works Clean Up/Windows Installer Cleanup Deleted Program Files

Have you tried these?
http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/uk/welcome.htm

Brian Kato's Restoration from: http://www.snapfiles.com/get/restoration.html

Good luck ..
Richard

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/works-clean-up-windows-installer-cleanup-deleted-program-files.530772/
Relevancy 78.69%

Hey, I wanted to free space for my C Drive because it only has 148 gigabytes to my D Drive cause it has 1 terabyte but then when i did so everything stopped working and now I don't know what to do, I can only get google to work through my start menu, I cant even open any files in my computer to back it up or change to factory default. If anyone knows how to fix this please Tell em :C

A:I Moved All My C Drive Files Into My D Drive files and nothing works

You can move DATA, but not application programs.  Even in the case of data, you have to go back and update the default locations of where the apps will expect to find it.  In the case of applications, the only way to move them from C: to another partition is to uninstall, then reinstall them.  This includes but is not limited to anything in the Program Files and Windows folders.

Good luck.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/537522/i-moved-all-my-c-drive-files-into-my-d-drive-files-and-nothing-works/
Relevancy 73.1%

Hello
My lenovo laptop b575e keyboard dont works, it works only in bios and linux systems. External usb keyboard works well in all places. In the past i  have worked on all versions of windows and several linuxes, and keyboard working well from windowsXP
trough Windows10. I see this problem after last windows10 threshold update.
I have tried to reinstall system with complete hd format, but keyboard dont works.

In bios keyboard working well, when i run from HirensBoot disc   on from  cdBootable miniLinux keyboard works, but when i run mini windows xp from this bootable cd keyboard stops his work.

I have tried to uninstall hd from motherboard, and have changed ram but dont works too.
can anybody help me?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/fb47c2a6-d21c-4c23-8d67-b1f508d0f658/lenovo-b575e-laptop-keyboard-dont-works-only-on-windows-os-in-the-past-it-works?forum=MTCWin8
Relevancy 73.1%

Hi there I have had this error for about Access-Skype GMAIL signs in! works,TOR works, display Webpage-Internet Can't week after I installed uninstalled several VPN services I have internet access on both Local Area Connection and WIFI Can't display Webpage-Internet Access-Skype works,TOR works, GMAIL signs in! but none of my browsers are displaying a webpage Skype works TOR works I am using TOR's default proxy settings to get online with Chrome On Chromes start page it even shows my name as logged into GMAIL before I switched to the TOR proxy settings Here is what I have tried Flushing the DNS release renew ip reset winsock disabled re-enabled both adapters Unistalled reinstalled both network adapters shutoff the firewall booted into safemode removed my antivirus Ran a few scripts lspfix winsock repair windows repair all-in-one tweaknow mini toolbox Run MBAM scan and MSE scan Reset IE to default Cleared proxy setings Re-installed the adapter client service and protocols This is driving me nuts Its got to be something easy that I am missing Any help would be appreciated MINITOOLBOX did these modifications http pastebin com haze gv also attached as txt file

A:Can't display Webpage-Internet Access-Skype works,TOR works, GMAIL signs in!

Also the DNS has been set to Google DNS-servers.
Error: (07/14/2013 05:16:31 PM) (Source: PostgreSQL) (User: )
Description: FATAL:  could not create any TCP/IP sockets

Error: (07/14/2013 09:34:57 PM) (Source: cdrom) (User: )
Description: The device, \Device\CdRom0, has a bad block.

=====

What you can try is to check with Google Chrome Portable (http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/google_chrome_portable) if you have internet with it. 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/501136/cant-display-webpage-internet-access-skype-workstor-works-gmail-signs-in/
Relevancy 73.1%

I did not suspect that this was a virus.  But while Google-ing for a solution I came across a post here that resolved the issue. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/511425/virus-scan-failed-in-chrome/

Nasdaq in thread http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/541399/chrome-reports-virus-scan-failed-on-all-downloads-ie-works-firefox-works helped me remove all the viruses and malware, but I still can’t download with Chrome with the virus scanning turned on.  Nasdaq also believes that there is a problem with ‘Security Center” because FSS.exe run as Administrator cannot report on multiple security features.  The last FSS.log will be posted shortly. 

Is it possible to get Chrome to download and scan these downloads?  Or will I need to reimage this machine?

A:Chrome reports Virus Scan Failed on all downloads, IE works FireFox Works

The fact that Internet Explorer and Firefox aren't exhibiting this problems makes me suspicious of Google Chrome being corrupt.

I would try uninstalling Chrome in the Control panel under Programs and Features.

I would then type regedit in the Search programs and files box and press Enter.

When the registry opens click on Edit and then click on Find.

In the find search box type Chrome and then click on Find next.

This should show up as highlighted in blue, right click on this and choose delete.

Do the same with Google Chrome.

Now download Chrome and install it and see if the problem still persists.

Warning:  Do not make any other changes other than those I've suggested.  A wrong change in the registry can result in your computer being unresponsive.

Edit:  I will not download anything to my computer unless I know exactly what it contains.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/543957/chrome-reports-virus-scan-failed-on-all-downloads-ie-works-firefox-works/
Relevancy 73.1%

I did not downloads, Scan IE FireFox Failed on Virus works Works reports Chrome all suspect that this Chrome reports Virus Scan Failed on all downloads, IE works FireFox Works was a virus But while Google-ing for a solution I came across a post here that resoved the issue http Chrome reports Virus Scan Failed on all downloads, IE works FireFox Works www bleepingcomputer com forums t virus-scan-failed-in-chrome Based on Chrome support forums suggestions Even though IE and FireFox can download files I have tried to disable the scanning of download via a registry change under MS policy key Disable Anti-virus Renaming AVG dlls and rebooting Running Malware AntiBytes Uninstalling and reinstalling Chrome My futile attempts to clean the machine I have tried to disable any toolbars AVGSafeSearch Uninstall all AntiVirus appliactions I found traces of AVG AVG Advast and AVG When that failed I loaded MS Security Essentials Check for multiple firewalls running Installed new copies of IE and Chrome Ran windows update just to be up to date Ran SFC Scannow Ran SuperAntiSpyware Ran Spybot S amp D Ran TDSSLiller Ran HitManPro The registry has strange random numeric entries that I believe came from a virus I am in over my head and need the help of a professional volunteer DDS log DDS Ver - - - NTFS x Internet Explorer BrowserJavaVersion Run by Severe Family at on - - Running Processes C Windows system wininit exe C Windows system lsm exe c Program Files Microsoft Security Client MsMpEng exe C Windows system Ati evxx exe C Windows system SLsvc exe C Windows system Ati evxx exe C Program Files Realtek Audio HDA RtkAudioService exe C Program Files Realtek Audio HDA RtHDVBg exe C Windows System spoolsv exe C Program Files Common Files ABBYY FineReaderSprint Licensing NetworkLicenseServer exe C Program Files Common Files Adobe ARM armsvc exe C Program Files EPSON EpsonCustomerParticipation EPCP exe C Windows system EscSvc exe C Program Files Common Files EPSON EPW SSRP E JT RP EXE c Program Files Common Files LightScribe LSSrvc exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared VS DEBUG MDM EXE C Program Files RealNetworks RealDownloader rndlresolversvc exe C Program Files TomTom HOME TomTomHOMEService exe C Program Files Common Files AVG Secure Search vToolbarUpdater ToolbarUpdater exe C Windows system SearchIndexer exe C Windows system taskeng exe C Windows system Dwm exe C Windows Explorer EXE C Windows system taskeng exe C Program Files Realtek Audio HDA RtHDVCpl exe C Program Files Epson Software Event Manager EEventManager exe C Program Files Epson Software FAX Utility FUFAXRCV exe C Program Files Epson Software FAX Utility FUFAXSTM exe C Program Files MyDrive Connect MyDriveConnect exe C Windows System p phost exe C Program Files Microsoft Security Client msseces exe C Program Files Windows Media Player wmpnscfg exe C Program Files Windows Media Player wmpnetwk exe C Windows system wbem unsecapp exe C Windows system wbem wmiprvse exe C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE Core-Static MOM exe C Program Files Google Update GoogleCrashHandler exe C Program Files Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Program Files Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Program Files Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Windows system taskeng exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Windows system Macromed Flash FlashUtil ActiveX exe C Windows system SearchProtocolHost exe c Program Files Microsoft Security Client NisSrv exe C Windows system SearchFilterHost exe C Windows system svchost exe -k DcomLaunch C Windows system svchost exe -k rpcss C Windows System svchost exe -k LocalServiceNetworkRestricted C Windows System svchost exe -k LocalSystemNetworkRestricted C Windows system svchost exe -k netsvcs C Windows system svchost exe -k GPSvcGroup C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalService C Windows system svchost exe -k NetworkService C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalServiceNoNetwork C Windows syste... Read more

A:Chrome reports Virus Scan Failed on all downloads, IE works FireFox Works

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer! I am HelpBot: an automated program designed to help the Bleeping Computer Staff better assist you! This message contains very important information, so please read through all of it before doing anything.
We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.
To help Bleeping Computer better assist you please perform the following steps:
*************************************************** In order to continue receiving help at BleepingComputer.com, YOU MUST tell me if you still need help or if your issue has already been resolved on your own or through another resource! To tell me this, please click on the following link and follow the instructions there.CLICK THIS LINK >>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/logreply/541399 <<< CLICK THIS LINK
If you no longer need help, then all you needed to do was the previous instructions of telling me so. You can skip the rest of this post. If you do need help please continue with Step 2 below.
***************************************************If you still need help, I would like you to post a Reply to this topic (click the "Add Reply" button in the lower right hand of this page). In that reply, please include the following information:If you have not done so already, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.A new DDS log. For your convenience, you will find the instructions for generating these logs repeated at the bottom of this post.Please do this even if you have previously posted logs for us.If you were unable to produce the logs originally please try once more.If you are unable to create a log please provide detailed information about your installed Windows Operating System including the Version, Edition and if it is a 32bit or a 64bit system.If you are unsure about any of these characteristics just post what you can and we will guide you.Please tell us if you have your original Windows CD/DVD available. Upon completing the above steps and posting a reply, another staff member will review your topic and do their best to resolve your issues.
Thank you for your patience, and again sorry for the delay.
We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan again: Download DDS by sUBs from the following link if you no longer have it available and save it to your destop.DDS.com Download LinkDouble click on the DDS icon, allow it to run. A small box will open, with an explanation about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running. Notepad will open with the results. Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results. Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet.
Information on A/V control can be found HERE.As I am just a silly little program running on the BleepingComputer.com servers, please do not send me private messages as I do not know how to read and reply to them! Thanks!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/541399/chrome-reports-virus-scan-failed-on-all-downloads-ie-works-firefox-works/
Relevancy 73.1%

Before I describe my problem I want to let you Explorer works Internet only Chrome w/o | in works mode problem sandbox no all know that this is my work laptop My work IT people have already tried a lot of things such as combofix malwarebytes restore points etc for THREE DAYS Therefore I apologize in advance if the work that they did make it more difficult to fix I am coming here as my last resort before they reimage my computer At the beginging of this week I noticed that I cannot access any website via Chrome Chrome shows a circle animiation in the upper left hand corner of the window I have no problem Chrome only works in no sandbox mode | Internet Explorer works w/o problem in accessing the same website with IE One interesting observation is that all icons Gmail Google Drive Google Search etc show color when I bring up Chrome This usually mean that they can access their associated services Chrome can still access my gmail setting including my bookmarks etc I looked and did not notice any redirection in my proxy settings I contacted my IT guys then an they tried every which way possible to fix my problem They noted that Chrome would work in no sandbox mode but that's not safe They said I had some malware infection and they took care of them However even Malwarebytes show zero infection Chrome never works IE never has any problems I hope that I can find some help in this forum Here is the DDS log DDS Ver - - - NTFS x Internet Explorer Run by install at on - - Microsoft Windows Professional GMT - AV Symantec Endpoint Protection Enabled Updated C A - C B- F C- B B- FCCFDC SP Windows Defender Disabled Updated D DDC A- F- fae- E -DA C ACF SP Symantec Endpoint Protection Enabled Updated A BBD -AA - A - B- B EB B E Running Processes C Windows system wininit exe C Windows system lsm exe C Program Files DisplayLink Core Software DisplayLinkManager exe C Program Files DisplayLink Core Software DisplayLinkUserAgent exe C Program Files Symantec Symantec Endpoint Protection Smc exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccSvcHst exe C Windows System spoolsv exe C Program Files SUPERAntiSpyware SASCORE EXE C Windows system AEADISRV EXE C Program Files FileOpen Services FileOpenManagerSvc exe C Program Files Kaseya MNDSHF AgentMon exe C Program Files Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware mbamscheduler exe C Program Files Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware mbamservice exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared VS DEBUG mdm exe C ProgramData Skype Toolbars Skype C C Service c c service exe C Windows System snmp exe C Program Files Symantec Symantec Endpoint Protection Rtvscan exe C Program Files Viewpoint Common ViewpointService exe C Windows system WUDFHost exe C Windows system taskhost exe C Windows system Dwm exe C Windows Explorer EXE C Program Files DisplayLink Core Software DisplayLinkUI exe C Program Files Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware mbamgui exe C Program Files Symantec Symantec Endpoint Protection SmcGui exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe C Program Files Analog Devices Core smax pnp exe C Windows System igfxtray exe C Windows System hkcmd exe C Windows System igfxpers exe C Program Files Microsoft IntelliPoint ipoint exe C Program Files FileOpen Services FileOpenBroker exe C Program Files Kaseya MNDSHF KaUsrTsk exe C Program Files Microsoft IntelliPoint dpupdchk exe C Windows system SearchIndexer exe C Program Files Viewpoint Viewpoint Manager ViewMgr exe C Windows system dllhost exe C Windows System msdtc exe C Windows system SearchProtocolHost exe C Program Files Shoreline Communications ShoreWare Client STCLogin exe C Program Files Windows Media Player wmpnetwk exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Windows system taskeng exe C Windows system SearchFilterHost exe C Windows system conhost exe C Windows system wbem wmiprvse exe C Windows system svchost exe -k DcomLaunch C Windows system svchost exe -k RPCSS C ... Read more

A:Chrome only works in no sandbox mode | Internet Explorer works w/o problem

Hello TheBigDogz Welcome to The Forums!!Around here they call me Gringo and I'll be glad to help you with your malware problems.Very Important --> Please read this post completely, I have spent my time to put together somethings for you to keep in mind while I am helping you to make things go easier, faster and smoother for both of us!Please do not run any tools unless instructed to do so.We ask you to run different tools in a specific order to ensure the malware is completely removed from your machine, and running any additional tools may detect false positives, interfere with our tools, or cause unforeseen damage or system instability.Please do not attach logs or use code boxes, just copy and paste the text.Due to the high volume of logs we receive it helps to receive everything in the same format, and code boxes make the logs very difficult to read. Also, attachments require us to download and open the reports when it is easier to just read the reports in your post.Please read every post completely before doing anything.Pay special attention to the NOTE: lines, these entries identify an individual issue or important step in the cleanup process.Please provide feedback about your experience as we go.A short statement describing how the computer is working helps us understand where to go next, for example: I am still getting redirected, the computer is running normally, etc. Please do not describe the computer as "the same", this requires the extra step of looking back at your previous post.NOTE: At the top of your post, click on the "Follow This Topic" Button, make sure that the "Receive notification" box is checked and that it is set to "Instantly" - This will send you an e-mail as soon as I reply to your topic, allowing us to resolve the issue faster.NOTE: Backup any files that cannot be replaced. Removing malware can be unpredictable and this step can save a lot of heartaches if things don't go as planed. You can put them on a CD/DVD, external drive or a pen drive, anywhere except on the computer.NOTE: It is good practice to copy and paste the instructions into notepad and print them in case it is necessary for you to go offline during the cleanup process. To open notepad, navigate to Start Menu > All Programs > Accessories > Notepad. Please remember to copy the entire post so you do not miss any instructions.These are the programs I would like you to run next, if you have any problems with these just skip it and run the next one.-Security Check-Download Security Check by screen317 from here.Save it to your Desktop.Double click SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.-AdwCleaner-Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your desktop.Close all open programs and internet browsers.Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.Click on Delete.Confirm each time with Ok.Your computer will be rebooted automatically. A text file will open after the restart.Please post the content of that logfile with your next answer.You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt as well.--RogueKiller--Download & SAVE to your Desktop RogueKiller or from here Quit all programs that you may have started.Please disconnect any USB or external drives from the computer before you run this scan!For Vista or Windows 7, right-click and select "Run as Administrator to start"For Windows XP, double-click to start.Wait until Prescan has finished ...Then Click on "Scan" buttonWait until the Status box shows "Scan Finished"click on "delete"Wait until the Status box shows "Deleting Finished"Click on "Report" and copy/paste the content of the Notepad into your next reply.The log should be found in RKreport[1].txt on your DesktopExit/Close RogueKiller+Gringo

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/487084/chrome-only-works-in-no-sandbox-mode-internet-explorer-works-wo-problem/
Relevancy 73.1%

Hi Guru's Internet works on and off with Built in Wifi -laptop but works good with Adapter It happened so many times Sometimes it used to come back to normal when with off good with Adapter Internet and works -laptop in works but Wifi on Built i switch my Modem amp router off and turn Internet works on and off with Built in Wifi -laptop but works good with Adapter it on this time it does not work even if i restart my modem and router But it works perfectly fine when i attach a Wiressless adapter to Internet works on and off with Built in Wifi -laptop but works good with Adapter Laptop Any help is appreciated Posting Minitool box log amp FSS log below MiniToolBox by Farbar Version - - Ran by Vinodh administrator on - - at Running from C Documents and Settings Vinodh My Documents Downloads Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack X Boot Mode Normal Flush DNS Windows IP Configuration Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache IE Proxy Settings Proxy is not enabled No Proxy Server is set Reset IE Proxy Settings IE Proxy Settings were reset FF Proxy Settings Reset FF Proxy Settings Firefox Proxy settings were reset Hosts content localhost IP Configuration Net Adapter Connection Connected Realtek RTL x Family Fast Ethernet NIC Local Area Connection Media disconnected Intel reg PRO Wireless ABG Network Connection Wireless Network Connection Media disconnected ---------------------------------- Interface IP Configuration ---------------------------------- pushd interface ip Interface IP Configuration for Local Area Connection set address name Local Area Connection source dhcp set dns name Local Area Connection source dhcp register PRIMARY set wins name Local Area Connection source dhcp Interface IP Configuration for Wireless Network Connection set address name Wireless Network Connection source dhcp set dns name Wireless Network Connection source dhcp register PRIMARY set wins name Wireless Network Connection source dhcp popd End of interface IP configuration Windows IP Configuration Host Name vinu Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Unknown IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Description Realtek RTL x Family Fast Ethernet NIC Physical Address - F-B -CA- -AF Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Description Intel reg PRO Wireless ABG Network Connection Physical Address - - -BA- B-DD Server UnKnown Address Ping request could not find host google com Please check the name and try again Server UnKnown Address Ping request could not find host yahoo com Please check the name Internet works on and off with Built in Wifi -laptop but works good with Adapter and try again Pinging with bytes of data Reply from bytes time lt ms TTL Reply from bytes time lt ms TTL Ping statistics for Packets Sent Received Lost loss Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds Minimum ms Maximum ms Average ms Interface List x MS TCP Loopback interface x f b ca af Realtek RTL x Family Fast Ethernet NIC - Packet Scheduler Miniport x ba b dd Intel reg PRO Wireless ABG Network Connection - Packet Scheduler Miniport Active Routes Network Destination Netmask Gateway Interface Metric Persistent Routes None Winsock entries Catalog C Windows System mswsock dll Microsoft Corporation Catalog C Windows System winrnr dll Microsoft Corporation Catalog C Windows System mswsock dll Microsoft Corporation Catalog C Program Files Bonjour mdnsNSP dll Apple Inc Catalog C Windows system mswsock dll Microsoft Corporation Catalog C Windows system mswsock dll Microsoft Corporation Catalog C Windows system mswsock dll Microsoft Corporation Catalog C Windows system mswsock dll Microsoft Corporation Catalog C Windows system mswsock dll Microsoft Corporation Catalog C Windows system mswsock dll Microsoft Corporation Catalog C Windows system mswsock dll Microsoft Corporation Catalog C Windows system mswsock dll Microsoft Corporation Catalog C Windows system mswsock dll Microsoft Corporation ... Read more

A:Internet works on and off with Built in Wifi -laptop but works good with Adapter

Hello are you still having issues? 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/486181/internet-works-on-and-off-with-built-in-wifi-laptop-but-works-good-with-adapter/
Relevancy 73.1%

I m having a similar problem to Chris Chu - http forums techguy org web-email -need-help-have-wireless-but html I just upgraded from Qwest DSL Mbps with an Actiontec GT modem to the Mbps service with the Actiontec Q modem set up with just the default options works, Q1000 WLAN WAN - router Solved: works function ActionTec Qwest doesn't, I m having Solved: WLAN works, WAN doesn't, router function works - Qwest ActionTec Q1000 a very peculiar problem I can see the Q s GUI control panel and browse the Internet from a computer connected via wi-fi However a computer connected viaEthernet doesn t see the web or even the Q control center A ping from the Ethernet-connected machine times out However the Ethernet-connected machine CAN see the other machines connected to the Q - I played an MP file from one of the other machines So the router function for the LAN is working but the Q doesn t respond to a ping or let me see the external Net or even browse to the Q s GUI panel I ve tried this with just one machine connected directly via Cat and none of the other Ethernet ports on the Q used I ve done that from two different PCs using different Cat cables and trying different ports on the Q I ve also tried it going through a D-Link switch with the same results from different PCs All of these connections worked with the GT and the Mbps service but not with the Q We even tried replacing the Q with the same results Firmware versions were QAQ - L on the first Q and QAQ - L on the second one Qwest tech support hasn t solved it but suggested quot contact your PC manufacturer quot I m stumped Any ideas I rebooted my main PC in Safe Mode with Networking and still could not ping the Q Following is the HiJackThis log Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Unknown Windows WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C Windows system Dwm exe C Windows Explorer EXE C Program Files Microsoft Windows Feedback Panel WFPASIEve exe C Windows system taskhost exe C Program Files LogMeIn x LogMeInSystray exe C Windows System rundll exe C Program Files LogMeIn x LMIGuardian exe C Program Files Microsoft Security Essentials msseces exe C Windows System dinotify exe C Program Files Common Files Java Java Update jusched exe C Program Files Qwest Desktop QwestTouchPointAgent exe C Users Public Documents Programs Kana Reminder exe C Program Files Replay AV ReplayAV exe C Program Files Gomez GomezPEER bin GomezPEER exe C PROGRA Gomez GOMEZP jre bin java exe C Windows system conhost exe C Windows system taskeng exe C Program Files Secunia PSI psi exe C Program Files Common Files InstallShield UpdateService ISUSPM exe C Program Files Siber Systems AI RoboForm robotaskbaricon exe C Program Files AWS WeatherBug Weather exe C Program Files Stardock Impulse Now ImpulseNow exe C Program Files Pidgin pidgin exe C Windows System RunDll exe C Windows system SearchFilterHost exe C Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http ie redirect hp com svs rdr TYPE amp tp iehome amp locale EN US amp c amp bd PAVILION amp pf desktop R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http ie redirect hp com svs rdr TYPE amp tp iesearch amp locale EN US amp c amp bd PAVILION amp pf desktop R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http search live com sphome aspx R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http search live com R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http ie redirect hp com svs rdr TYPE amp tp iesearch amp locale EN US amp c amp bd PAVILION amp pf desktop R - HKLM Softwa... Read more

A:Solved: WLAN works, WAN doesn't, router function works - Qwest ActionTec Q1000

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-wlan-works-wan-doesnt-router-function-works-qwest-actiontec-q1000.897885/
Relevancy 73.1%

Hi all

I have got a new desktop PC, which works fine with Ethernet but I am not able to connect through wireless.When I tried to connect to the broadband, it says error connecting to the Broadband connection
Error 651: The modem (or other connecting device) has reported error. However, same comnnection works very well with my vista home premium Dell Laptop.

Thanks in advance
Pxray

A:HP Pavillion PC with windows 8 works ethernet works well but not able to connect through wireless

How to reset TCP/IP by using the NetShell utility

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-pavillion-pc-with-windows-8-works-ethernet-works-well-but-not-able-to-connect-through-wireless.202705/
Relevancy 73.1%

on our dell 8500 we continually receive the title message,"works cannot complete the tasks, try restarting word or reinstalling works!"

My wife is the administrator and signed in as such which is supposedly the cure to get rid of this notice.

What next? Please?

Thanks

GSXTIMING

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/works-cannot-complete-the-tasks-try-restarting-word-or-reinstalling-works.542195/
Relevancy 73.1%

Have a WinXP Pro machine that the Paste function ceased to work on Copy is still a valid option and drag and drop works for files This is happening for both files in folders and from one text file to another The computer is on an isolated network for TV production on our campus and does not have external access even isolated thumbdrives I have removed the clipboard component and reinstalled it from Out Greyed works) (Copy is works, Paste Drag'n'Drop an XP Pro SP CD and it is still doing the same thing If you try to run quot clipbrd exe quot it will begin to launch but then does not respond It is possible that we will have to reinstall XP on this machine but I wanted to see if anyone had some Paste is Greyed Out (Copy works, Drag'n'Drop works) good ideas on this first We are using video production software on this machine and it is going to be a royal PITA to rebuild I can get logs but it takes some doing so please be specific on what will be helpful in diagnosing this issue Thanks Jon

A:Paste is Greyed Out (Copy works, Drag'n'Drop works)

does this apply to you?http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;555173also you could do a sfc /scannowfrom the command prompt or run utility.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/316201/paste-is-greyed-out-copy-works-dragndrop-works/
Relevancy 73.1%

I use MS Works database for my company booking info and mail merge the database into confirmation letters etc MS Works word processor My office has a few computers networked and they ve all got works on them all of them mail merge without problems - except for my own desktop machine As soon as I select Tools gt Mail Merge gt Open Data Source I get the error Works cannot open the mail merge list you selected The file may be damaged or it may be in a file format that Works does not support Can I stress again - these files work fine on all other machines all XP and the 8.5 Error Merge though?! on network - Works machine on Mail works another message pops up before I even select which file to merge with Literally when I hit the menu item I tried uninstalling Works removing all mention in the registry and reinstalling - it still does it The database file and letter files to merge them with are all held on another computer in the office all computers access them the same way - using the MSHOME network no workgroup or anything Any ideas Please help I just tried opening one of the mail-merge letters and linking it to a completely empty database file saving it and trying that on the problem computer It still gave the error So it s not the contents of any of the database fields that are causing this nbsp

A:Works 8.5 Mail Merge Error - works on another machine on network though?!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/works-8-5-mail-merge-error-works-on-another-machine-on-network-though.966016/
Relevancy 73.1%

Hi, I'm a forum virgin so please be gentle with me.

I have a desktop and laptop sharing files and an internet connection via modem to D-Link router setup.

My laptop connects to the network via a Netgear PCMCIA wireless card when mobile and via an ethernet cable when sitting on the desk.

The wireless connection does everything it's supposed to do (network and internet access and sharing).

The ethernet connection only shares files but can not get an internet connection to be established.

I have Norton Internet Security but I think everything's alright with that otherwise I wouldn't be able to connect wirelessly. Correct? Are there different IP setup's for wireless/ethernet.

Why can I 'see' my desktop's files and share the printer via ethernet but I can't establish an internet connection unless I go wireless?

Everything's fine with the desktop.

Sorry for the ramble and thanks in anticipation.

A:Wireless fully works, Ethernet works for network but not for internet

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-fully-works-ethernet-works-for-network-but-not-for-internet.642157/
Relevancy 73.1%

Edit: I fixed it. Turns out I didn't let the scans complete and that they really needed to be run from within the original user account, not a secondary one I had created after the infection. I was able to run the software from within the account by right-clicking on the shortcuts and then clicking Run as Admin. After letting the scans go all the way through, the problem was fixed.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-7-asks-what-to-open-exe-files-with-works-fine-with-run-as-admin.1034875/
Relevancy 72.67%

I torrented a windows install disc iso I burned it to a disc but when i tried to install windows it gets to quot expanding files quot and freezes at After that i "expanding files" but install 7 USB on at 0% works off Windows stuck tried using the exact same iso but from a thumb drive and it worked I tried the disc on multiple computers and it always sticks at on expanding files I have also reburned the iso multiple times and Windows 7 install stuck at 0% on "expanding files" but works off USB it still doesn't work If i use a jump drive it always works I know someone is gonna say that its the iso because i got it from a torrent but the same iso works from a usb drive so it cant be that I know someone is gonna say it is the optical drive but i have tried it on different computers with optical drives that i know work Windows 7 install stuck at 0% on "expanding files" but works off USB but it still sticks at so its not that Its also is not that i haven't waited long enough because i have left it for multiple hours and it still didn't move from I suspect Windows 7 install stuck at 0% on "expanding files" but works off USB that its an little feature in the burning program that i overlooked during the burn process Has anyone encountered this or know how to fix it

A:Windows 7 install stuck at 0% on "expanding files" but works off USB

I assume it has to do with the burn speed. If burned at anything higher than 1x, there is a chance of the disc being corrupted.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/239901-windows-7-install-stuck-0-expanding-files-but-works-off-usb.html
Relevancy 72.67%

I recently purchased an ASUS Windows bit computer I transferred my Microsoft Works Version word processor and spreadsheet files from my old computer onto the new computer I just purchased the Microsoft Office Home and Student Edition bit version from an online vendor and installed the software onto my new computer I have no problems opening my Works spreadsheet files in Excel However when I attempt to open a Works word processor file in Word I get gibberish I Microsoft Cannot Files Word in Works Microsoft Open 2013 did some research online and found out that there is a Microsoft tool called Works - Converter which allows Cannot Open Microsoft Works Files in Microsoft Word 2013 one to open Works files in Word I downloaded the Works - Converter tool from the Microsoft Support website and installed it on my PC However when I subsequently attempted to open a Works word processor file in Word a dialog box appeared with the error message Word cannot start the converter Wks Pxy cnv and the file Cannot Open Microsoft Works Files in Microsoft Word 2013 did not open properly i e I got gibberish I did a little more research online and found out that uninstalling the Works - Converter then downloading and installing the Microsoft Visual C Redistributable Package and finally reinstalling the Works - Converter may correct this problem I followed these steps but unfortunately when I attempt to open a Works word processor file in Word I get the same error message and the file does not open properly If someone can give me advice on a successful way to open Works spreadsheet files in Word I would greatly appreciate it

A:Cannot Open Microsoft Works Files in Microsoft Word 2013

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315757

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2013_release-word/i-cant-open-any-of-my-microsoft-works-documents/c242b6da-3292-4d7d-8689-9a554ecb7171

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001017.htm

Reboot after any changes you make.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/551097/cannot-open-microsoft-works-files-in-microsoft-word-2013/
Relevancy 72.24%

Hi I m hoping someone can help me figure this problem out Its driving me crazy I have no problem connecting to my new wireless network Once I am connected Skype works without any problems and Microsoft Outlook works without any problems but none of my browsers Chrome IE or Firefox work at all What is going on Also Google Skype works, works, Outlook browsers dont! Earth doesn t connect but I can live with that one I m pasting the text that came out of the ipconfig command which I can t really make any sense of All help would be very very appreciated Thanks Quote Windows IP Configuration Host Name KellyB-PC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Broadcast IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List tvcabo co mz Wireless LAN Skype works, Outlook works, browsers dont! adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix tvcabo co mz Description Intel R WiFi Link AGN Physical Address - E- - - -EC DHCP Enabled Skype works, Outlook works, browsers dont! Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe d cb a a e Preferred IPv Skype works, Outlook works, browsers dont! Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Wednesday July PM Lease Expires Thursday July PM Default Gateway DHCP Server DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller Physical Address - E- -D -B - DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap A A-B A- D -B A-CA C E A Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description TO Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - E- DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix tvcabo co mz Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes

A:Skype works, Outlook works, browsers dont!

Hi -

Boot into SAFEMODE w/ Networking - try Internet connection there. Tap F8 key repeatedly to enter SAFEMODE.

Make sure your Ethernet & wifi drivers are updated.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/skype-works-outlook-works-browsers-dont-501479.html
Relevancy 72.24%

Hi I m hoping someone can help me figure works, Skype dont! works, Outlook browsers this problem out Its driving me crazy I have no problem connecting to Skype works, Outlook works, browsers dont! my new wireless network Once I am connected Skype works without any problems and Microsoft Outlook works without any problems but none of my browsers Chrome IE or Firefox work at all What is going on Also Google Earth doesn t connect but Skype works, Outlook works, browsers dont! I can live with that one I m pasting the text that came out of the ipconfig command which I can t really make any sense of All help would be very very appreciated Thanks Windows IP Configuration Host Name KellyB-PC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Broadcast IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List tvcabo co mz Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix tvcabo co mz Description Intel R WiFi Link AGN Physical Address - E- - - -EC DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe d cb a a e Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Wednesday July PM Lease Expires Thursday July PM Default Gateway DHCP Server DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller Physical Address - E- -D -B - DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap A A-B A- D -B A-CA C E A Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description TO Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - E- DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix tvcabo co mz Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Click to expand nbsp

A:Skype works, Outlook works, browsers dont!

What version of Windows?

Looks like Vista or Win7, try this stack repair.
TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista or Windows 7.

Start, All Programs\Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands, each followed by the Enter key:

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/skype-works-outlook-works-browsers-dont.939063/
Relevancy 71.81%

Hi I hope I'm putting this in the correct forum I have been trying to find out why I am not able (Windows windows I in 7 works open but explorer FTP can't files x64) to open any ftp files FTP in windows explorer works but I can't open files (Windows 7 x64) in windows explorer using win x I can successfully open an ftp site in w explorer and browse the folders without any problems however I don't get any previews eg jpg files and if I double click on any FTP in windows explorer works but I can't open files (Windows 7 x64) file that should have an association like a jpg nothing happens although a short hourglass activity wheel appears I have to manually copy the file or drag it out onto a local folder to be able to do this I don't remember this kind of restriction the last time I did it although that was some time ago and perhaps on XP but can anyone shed some light on what might be wrong here I have no such problems via an ftp client but would like to get this quick method working for convenience One clue difference is when I right click gt properties on a file I will get a single 'general' tab that lists filetype location size and modified and then a permissions box immediately below with check boxes This seems to prove to me that the explorer is not acting as an explorer as it should but is in some other mode But as I say I can copy files out and into the window Just to eliminate a few thing I have tried this with numerous ftp sites I have had no such problems when logging in via an explorer app on my Android device Any clues would be a great help

A:FTP in windows explorer works but I can't open files (Windows 7 x64)

That's the way FTP protocol works, basically. It just allows to list files and upload/download, plus a bunch of extra fuctions, but that's all. It doesn't supports most of the features of normal filesystems that allow to do what you want.

For examples, for previewing JPGs, that would mean that it must download every single file (without user consent) to generate those nasty thumbnails. This could be a potential enormous waste of bandwidth and as such is not supported.

"Opening" a file has also no meaning in a FTP server. What actually clients do there is to download files to a temporary location and open those with local programs. This is what your Android client must be doing.
As for why Explorer doesn't do this? I would begin checking file associations to see if that one works well locally at least.

However, normally, I would suggest a serious FTP client, as Explorer is really poor in this aspect.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/365897-ftp-windows-explorer-works-but-i-cant-open-files-windows-7-x64.html
Relevancy 71.81%

I've tried a lot of things to figure this out and it's been going on for quite awhile, still if anyone can post any reason why it won't stream sound, please do so, I want help badly.

I tried an instill of a new hard drive and made it the master drive, however I couldn't install windows from a disc (pci.sys) so instead i copied my os off of the old hard drive but everything had to be copied. (If you can tell me an install process to help me with my sound that'll work too)

youtube doesn't work.. etc
absolutely everything from the internet = no sound except if it caches a file and plays that file instead.
checked volumes, "play sound in webages", downloaded codecs, flash, updates.
post anything, please?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/no-internet-sound-but-sound-from-files-on-computer-works-180287.html
Relevancy 70.95%

When I start MS Works 9, and go to File Open, it goes to My documents. I would like it to go to C:, Program Files(x86), Microsoft Works, Documents. That is where I want to put Word Processors And Spreadsheets. If I cannot open Documents Folder automatically, I at least want Microsoft Works Folder to open automatically. There must be a way to do this.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/microsoft-works-9-change-where-works-goes-at-startup.953086/
Relevancy 70.95%

Hello and hopefully someone can help me out I am running a Dell computer using Windows XP A few days ago my mother-n-law got a virus on our computer by clicking on spam e-mails I figured out how to get rid of the virus but I think I made something happen where the PC will not connect to the internet I have it connected to a Netgear Router Now the Router is fine I Connect Works but Router Works, Won't PC Internet can access the internet off of my laptop with no issues When I try the PC I can t access the net When I go to Control Panel - Network Connections - Local Area Connection - Support Tab Router Works, Internet Works but PC Won't Connect my computer doesn t have an IP Address I ve tried getting into the Router using but the computer won t let me I m not sure where to go from here I ve tried calling Tech Support but they couldn t help me Hopefully you guys can help me out with this one Thank you for your time nbsp

Relevancy 70.95%

Hi everyone,
I am running win xp sp3 and all of a sudden firefox is not working. also msn messenger has stopped working. Outlook Express is unable to connect. Zonealarm is unable to update...
Could anybody help please?

HEELLLPPP

A:Onli Internet Explorer WOrks. Nothing Else works

This has to be an internet problem. Check the connections between the computer and your router/modem - make sure they are tight. Check your phone connection between the modem and the wall socket. When you say that various programs don't work what exactly doesn't work? Do they start up okay?

If the connections are okay then try pinging a remote address. Click on "Start|Run" and type "cmd" (enter). In the box that opens type "ping www.microsoft.com" and press enter. If the net is connected you will get 4 results back. If it comes up "Timed Out" then the problem is with your net connection and not the computer.

Also, to find out exactly where the problem lays, in the CMD box type "tracert www.microsoft.com" and press enter. This will tell you how far the signal is getting before it times out. If NOTHING comes up then the problem is between the computer and router. If it gets one result only then the problem is between the router and the internet (which could be an ISP problem).

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f131/onli-internet-explorer-works-nothing-else-works-288599.html
Relevancy 69.66%

Hi guys,I recently bought a laptop computer as my desktop has seen better days.I was ondering is there a way to transfer files and folders from the desktop to the laptop?I cant send them via the internet as my USB modem doesnt work with Vista which Im running on the laptop.Any help would be great.Thanks in advance

A:Transfering files

Thumb drive or CD? Laplink, direct cable connection.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/transfering-files.657921/
Relevancy 69.66%

I am trying to transfer files from an old xp hard drive to my new vista drive.
I installed the old hard drive in my vista computer as a slave but now when I try to transfer files from my documents I get this error "You need permission to perform this action." I think that the files on the old xp machine were set to private. I would just put the HDD back in the old computer and boot it up to burn the files but the MB is toast in that computer. Any help is much appreciated.

A:Need help transfering files

Quote:

Originally Posted by [-razer-]Blade

I am trying to transfer files from an old xp hard drive to my new vista drive.
I installed the old hard drive in my vista computer as a slave but now when I try to transfer files from my documents I get this error " You need permission to perform this action." I think that the files on the old xp machine were set to private. I would just put the HDD back in the old computer and boot it up to burn the files but the MB is toast in that computer. Any help is much appreciated.

Hi and Welcome to TSF.

The "error" that you received is not an error at all but VIsta's User Access Control (UAC) feature. It is simply letting you know that a system-altering change is about to occur. If you are on an admin account, simply click on Continue, otherwise enter the admin password.

This is about the area that you are writing the files to, not where they are coming from.

If you have additional questions, please ask!

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/need-help-transfering-files-228320.html
Relevancy 69.66%

I am trying Files Transfering to transfer folders and files from an old hard drive to a new SSD hard drive The particular folder transfer says files are too long All the files have the same words Name Timesheet Transfering Files then a long date States that the file names are too long I went folder for folder transferring everything over It all comes down to one Folder called Invoices which itself has sub-folders but I transferred it all over except this folder quot monthly timesheets for year to August quot I believe within this folder is files An odd thing about this is if I click properties on both windows SSD is files folders old HD is files folders This does not add up I think perhaps the folder itself name is too long or are the file names within that folder too long I added a picture I hope it helps I've been pondering what to do about this for some time I am stuck any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/304463-transfering-files.html
Relevancy 69.66%

ok i have two PC's, i want to transfer between two PC's like a fast speed. all in one, not via USB/CD, etc. can i just stick a cord in connecting the two PC's so i can transfer my data and ****?

A:transfering files through LAN

This TCP/IP Home Networking and File Sharing Tutorial should get you started.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/transfering-files-through-lan.594826/
Relevancy 69.66%

I am planning to reformat my sister's computer and I was wondering if there was any p2p program(if talking about p2p program in here is wrong then I apologize for this thread) that I can use to transfer her files all in one folder verses transfering one file at a time. Since my sister doesn't live here I cannot use LAN connection to transfer it. Last time I patheticly use AIM transfering option to get all the files. Needless to say, it was insanely slow and drove me to insanity. If there is anyway to transfer these files and folders leagally, please let me know!

Relevancy 69.66%

i did not know where to post this and i cannot find it i want to make my pc a server or use a ftp program or something i don't care what it is just as long as it is kinda easy to use i need to transfer a lot of high transfering from another to one pc files mb files to my sisters pc i can remote into her pc via log me in but cannot transer the fies that way so i figured i would get a ftp server adn client program i cannot figure out transfering files from one pc to another how to use them or how to set them up any help you guys can give me would be great please nothing to complicated my head will explode i have been working on this for days and im on some strong pain killers cuase i broke my leg in places again thank you so much for your quick and helpful in ps the one program i got was FileZilla Server Interface and i installed the client on her pc but it wont connect i also have fireftp which i dont know how to set up and the directions are not clear

A:transfering files from one pc to another

If you have both PCs at the same location, you can make use of a CROSSOVER CABLE.This looks like an ordinary Ethernet cable but has interchanged wiring to allow exchange of data in such cases.You simply ask for a crossover cable at your computer store.Make sure both PCs have an Ethernet port for this to work.Now simply link the Ethernet ports on both PCs using the crossover cable.Note that both PCs need to have the same workgroup name "My Network Places" and that they have different computer names.Also make sure, your PC can be accessed by other computers.All you have to do now, is look for your computer(computer name) through "My Network Places" on your sister's PC and your now connected to it. You can access the content your sharing on your PC and copy them to your sister's hard disk.You'll find plenty of tutorial/guides on how to set up two PCs for transferring files using a crossover cable.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/277482/transfering-files-from-one-pc-to-another/