Windows Support Forum

Free Space Wipe Question

Q: Free Space Wipe Question

Good day all. We would like to wipe our free hard drive space. We have CCleaner. When we go to Options-Settings Normal file deletion (faster) is selected. When we choose secure file deletion (slower) we get the options: Simple (1 pass), advanced (3 passes), complex (5 passes), very complex (7 passes). Which is best to securely get rid of personal data? I know more passes equals longer time. There are predominantly family and school files with some of my wife's small business associated files on the computer.

Next, it offers an option to wipe the alternate data streams and cluster tips. What are they and is it safe to do?
Finally, there is an option to wipe the MFT free space. Again, what is that and is it safe to do?

Thanks for the help.

Golferguy

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/free-space-wipe-question.1036751/
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Free Space Wipe Question

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 85.57%

i need the best free / premium softwares to to Shred Files and Wipe Free Disk Space

please....

A:need Free Tools to Shred Files and Wipe Free Disk Space

Here's a couple:[email protected] KillDiskNot sure about KillDisk, but Eraser has the option to be run in the Shell Menu, so you can right-click and select Erase, instead of Delete.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/285747/need-free-tools-to-shred-files-and-wipe-free-disk-space/
Relevancy 82.13%

Hello Techs,

Will anyone explain to me what is the role of "Wipe Free Space" in Advanced System Optimizer..!!

What is it used for ?

I'm unable to understand it.

Relevancy 82.13%

CCleaner > Tools > Drive wiper > wipe...free space only.

What happens if I click the WIPE button?

A:Wipe Free Space

It will overwrite all unused disk space. When files are deleted the space they previously consumed is not cleared but marked as unused. You will not be able to recover any files that were deleted and not in the recycle bin. That is what the function is designed to prevent. This is security measure with no other advantages. It will likely take a long time to run, particularly on a large drive.

If the drive has logical inconsistencies this function could cause serious problems. Not common but it does happen.

http://www.vistax64.com/software/301239-wipe-free-space.html
Relevancy 82.13%

About a year ago, when discussing privacy issues, someone on this forum recommended BC Wipe as a good utility to wipe free space on the computer.

That was my work computer and now I have a new one at home with W2K OS.

Do you still recommend BC Wipe or is there something better around?

You also recommended Spider - to delete stuff in index.dat files. Do you know if spider works on W2K?

Thank you for your time.

Marlo

Relevancy 82.13%

My husband used BC Wipe on his Gateway 500, running Windows XP Home Edition. BC Wipe overwrote all his free space but then failed to delete what it wrote, leaving his hard drive completely full. He has a 35 gig hard drive and about 90 percent of it was free space prior to this incident.

Any way to free up that space again?

A:BC Wipe ate my free space!

BCWipe FAQ's (See 2.2).............http://www.jetico.com/index.htm#/bcwipe_faq.htm

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/bc-wipe-ate-my-free-space.499930/
Relevancy 81.27%

Hello, I hunted for the correct forum to post..apologies if I'm in the wrong place!

Updated Ccleaner today and found in the Advanced options "Wipe MFT Free Space C drive."
Of course I ticked it!  Free space, needing a wipe means to me that cobwebs might have grown there?

Opinions or advice about this Ccleaner setting?  Good/bad? 

Mucho thanks!

A:Ccleaner Wipe MFT Free Space ?

The MFT is the Master File Table which contains the identifying information used by the file system to manage file storage. When files are deleted, details like the location of the file's prior contents (and sometimes a small component of the file's actual contents) remain for an indeterminate period of time in the MFT.

Much like the file data locations themselves, the MFT entries are released and become available for re-use, but until they get used again for other files, the information they contain can be accessed to gain information about the deleted files. This is the first line of approach used by file recovery programs, so in some situations it could be viewed as a security risk, enabling private or sensitive information to possibly be recovered after file deletion.

So wiping the MFT free space will erase any remaining information in the previously used MFT records that are awaiting re-use. If you wish to be extra secure about deleted files being completely gone, then you can choose the MFT free space wipe. But keep in mind it will make recovery of an accidentally deleted file far more difficult after applying the action.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/557676/ccleaner-wipe-mft-free-space/
Relevancy 81.27%

Looks like the new CCleaner will overwrite the file names in the Master File Table.

Here is a discussion on it:

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=25905

A:New CCleaner Wipe Free Space

I haven't tried the Wipe Free Space option yet, I was waiting for someone else to be the guinea pig.

But in this thread http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=25903 the consensus seems to be that Eraser still does a better job than CCleaner.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/new-ccleaner-wipe-free-space.888034/
Relevancy 81.27%

I posted under "hardware" because it's my SSD that might be at risk. I was wiping the free space on my SSD along with a HDD. However, after the fact, I remembered reading a little about trim and how free space is used. I don't really get all techy but it seems like wiping the free space on a SSD might not be such a good idea? Any thoughts or advice?

A:Wipe free space on SSD? Is it safe?

There is no need to wipe the free space on a SSD. Trim and Garbage Collection will handle that

A Guy

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/235409-wipe-free-space-ssd-safe.html
Relevancy 80.41%

so i downloaded this product and payed the to get the government wipe and all i want to do is wipe free space every now and then on my c drive so i used it on a usb flash drive st worked great didnt take long everythings fine then i try to select my xp c drive and i get a message quot This is a System Drive To wipe or erase this drive we highly recommend you create the bootable media restart the PC and run KillDisk from it quot it does free space to [email protected] using Help wipe not give me any options to select the Wipe option it is greyed out but i can select the Kill option is wipe more dangerous than kill there also is not options to select create quot the bootable media Help using [email protected] to wipe free space quot in order to quot run KillDisk from it quot i have been looking online as to how to create a bootable usb drive but it looks very complicated to me and seems to relate to booting windows from the drive and i really dont know if thats what they are saying customer support is no help after filling out a long amp complicated for me support ticket they just emailed me a link to buy their Bootable Media creator software and a link to a video on how to use it i cannot resond to their email response i would have to start a new support ticket amp no help looking through their support forums i have no understanding why such a simple process should be so complicated if anyone can give me any help on simply using the Wipe feature on the c drive i would greatly appreciate it i guess my moneys gone but i would like to get some use out of the product other than wiping my usb drives thanks Jim nbsp

Relevancy 79.55%

I have succeeded in setting up encryption using TrueCrypt on my Windows 8.1 notebook.

I now need to clean the free space, that previously contained the personal files before I moved them to the encrypted area. I have 2 questions:-

1) What's the best free software to clean free space in a specific folder ONLY. I want to do 35 passes, so don't want to waste time cleaning a whole drive on a brand new laptop, when I know exactly where the files were beforehand.

2)I've emptied the Recycle Bin, but do I need to clean the freespace there also?

T

A:[SOLVED] Wipe Free Space In A Specific Folder

Well the free space of one folder could be spanned around the entire drive.

The only way that I am aware of is the method of cleaning the entire drive of its free space. Also 35 passes is unnecessary. Unless your hiding information from the FBI, 7 passes is all that is needed.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-wipe-free-space-in-a-specific-folder-799538.html
Relevancy 79.55%

best soft to Wipe-out only free space on multiple volumes on win 7

I am using Ccleaner over many years
but It only wipe-out free space of ""C -current windows 7-8 drive only""

I want soft to wipe out free space of other drives to
is there is any idea or setting so that we can use CCleaner partion wiper for many drives too ?

A:best soft to Wipe-out only free space on multiple volumes on win 7

CCleaner > Options > Settings > Wipe Free Space drives

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/288910-best-soft-wipe-out-only-free-space-multiple-volumes-win-7-a.html
Relevancy 79.55%

I'm sure you guys would have covered this already but I couldn't seem to find any threads, so apologies if you have to shout repost.
I am in the process of getting rid of a computer which has sensitive data on it. Could you suggest (hopefully a free download) some software to completely delete files and also go over "free space" and scrub the files so that they cannot be recovered.

Mucho thanks in advance

FC

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/securely-delete-files-and-wipe-already-free-space.486358/
Relevancy 77.83%

Windows XP Home I have been looking at image recovery programs to see what can be extracted from the free space after all the cleaning operations have been implemented Having seen the amount of information that can / 10,000 Files! Free Wiping Shredding software cannot wipe Disc Space be recovered I will no longer empty the Recycle Bin without shredding the contents but Shredding / Wiping software cannot wipe 10,000 Free Disc Space Files! it Shredding / Wiping software cannot wipe 10,000 Free Disc Space Files! seems that an enormous amount of information is still being collected which the normal individual is unaware of eImage Recovery Demo has found images and files in my deleted free space area of the hard disc Some are damaged due to overwriting but a vast majority have a clear preview picture of what can be recovered Because I do not recognise many of these pictures it seems that Windows is placing jpg bmp png etc images in this free space without my knowledge Perhaps some are gifs of bars and buttons from web surfing I have tried using some of the more user friendly and good reviews internet clearing tools available CCleaner Drive Discovery Active Privacy Guardian Washer Index dat Suite CleanCache PurgeIE IndexDat-Zap Version The images images that eImage Recovery displays seemingly cannot be removed by any of the normal space clearing methods available see below I have downloaded on trial practically every recovery program known to man and it is quite alarming to note that most only display a short list of deleted files in my free space area There are only programs that I can find which show an extended list of deleted files with preview pictures and these are eImage Recovery as mentioned above DiskInternals Uneraser and also VirtualLab Client which is a bit more complex To give you an idea how much effort I have put into this I have looked at all these programs in the hope of finding a tool that will wipe completely all the free space files beyond recovery and then check the free space after to see that no files are recoverable Active Privacy Guardian Washer NShred Super File Recover Virtual Lab Easis Data Lifesaver NetSpring Data Recover Back Life DiskDoctor DIY Data Recover Undelete Plus Wundelete Recover All Raise Data Recovery for NTFS Recover data for NTFS Arax Disk Doctor Object Rescue Pro Reviver Stellar Phoenix data recovery Data Recovery Pandora File Recovery Recovery Files Final recovery Directory Snoop Undelete Plus File Scavenger Clean Disc Security Tune Up Utilities Restoration Blanccco File Shredder BCWipe Ace Utilities Data Disk Recovery Easy Soft Undelete PC Mesh Win Hex Editor Recover Lost Data Eraser I have also wiped the free space several times using different programs yet still these files remain I have used Restoration to wipe the free space with pass Blancco File Shredder using passes Drive Discovery using passes File Shredder using passes Finally File Shredder again using the pass Guttmann Algorithm I have also wiped the slacks the file table entries and the system swap file Goodness knows what this is doing to my hard drive When I have shred every last evidence of computer internet activity shred the Recycle Bin Guttmann shredded the Free Space and removed all cookies and entries how is it possible for a basic recovery program like eImage Recovery to find so many records on my hard disc I have not tried to recover any files because this is not possible with the demo program It is not relevant anyway as the image content of the files which have not been overwritten are clearly visible and not marked as damaged I think there must be other records kept by Microsoft somewhere that are not touched by these wiping facilities I have also read somewhere that Office Word records activity which cannot be detected in the normal way Another thought I had was that the Clipboard might be applying records to the free space I have attached a few screen shots to give you an idea of the files being deposited in th... Read more

A:Shredding / Wiping software cannot wipe 10,000 Free Disc Space Files!

Give this one a go, select the DoD 7 passes, and then try and find something
http://www.tolvanen.com/eraser/download.shtml

It should take hours and hours. However, the only real safe solution is to do a format - and then "erase" the whole drive.

BTW, this is free and in my opinion, the best! Why so eager to get rid of your traces tho?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/shredding-wiping-software-cannot-wipe-10-000-free-disc-space-files.647768/
Relevancy 71.38%

Hello all new member here I have came across this forum many times in the past years when searching and have found it to be very beneficial So I figured I would see if anyone here may know why this is happening First off the information about the Laptop in question -Asus K IJ -Windows Ultimate -bit -Intel Pentium GHZ - GB DDR Ram - GB Seagate Hard Drive As a part of regular maintenance Cannot UNC Wipe space for drive" reasoning "Error: free Unknown for I use Glary Utilities and CCleaner to keep the PC clean In an effort to protect deleted data I run the quot drive wiper quot quot wipe free space quot function of these programs every so often I have never had a problem with carrying out these actions until the other day CCleaner acts like it does something but having done this before I know that it's not a few minute operation Glary Utilities gives a more reasonable response when trying quot Error Cannot Wipe free Unknown reasoning for "Error: Cannot Wipe free space for UNC drive" space for UNC drive quot I don't know much about UNC or why my C Drive would be categorized as this I am on a home WiFi connection however I haven't every had this connected as a network computer and also have all of the network sharing options disabled I Unknown reasoning for "Error: Cannot Wipe free space for UNC drive" have not made any recent changes that I can recall which may have caused this Does anyone have any ideas as to why this may be happening or better yet how I can revert back to where I am able to use this feature of the programs All input and suggestions are welcome I appreciate it very much Thank you

A:Unknown reasoning for "Error: Cannot Wipe free space for UNC drive"

Hi redhatman, welcome to 7F!

Sounds like something happened when CCleaner (CC) attempted to wipe the free space, Glary picked up on those changes, and it ended up being a UNC drive, and it (Glary) couldn't determine the original working directory to start itself.
Did CC show the "Cannot Wipe free space for UNC drive" error?
Had you made any changes to the file system between the time you last ran CC?

What to try:
Before every CC run the program asks you if you want to create a backup of the registry, if you were prudent enough to do that, try running that backup. https://Problems after you have run CCleaner | www.piriform.com
If you made a restore point try it or the closest one to before the time/date of this wipe.
Start your machine by Last Known Good Configuration. See Step #4 and use your arrow keys to move to that option.
If all the above do not work you may have to try a Repair Install.
As a last resort try backup images or clones if you have them.

If any of these steps resolves your problem you should run a CHKDSK, and SFC /scannow.
By the way, thank you for filling out your System Specs; If you add the model number (K60IJ) of your laptop to your System Specs you won't have to list it or the rest of them in any of your subsequent posts.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/353207-unknown-reasoning-error-cannot-wipe-free-space-unc-drive.html
Relevancy 65.36%

My C: drive is a 40 gig drive but for some reason I'm down to about 5 gigs free. I feel like I've gone through all of the folders that would fill up space and I can't find anything significant. I keep all of my music and video on a separate E: drive so I know it's not that. Other than that just a handful of folders that have maybe 400 mb in them, but nowhere near enough of them to take up significant space.

My question is....are there things buried deep I'm not thinking of that would chew up so much space?? I can't seem to find enough to even fill up 15 gig of the 40 gig. I'm a little confused by this.

A:Question about free/used space on hard drive

Restore points, temp files, page file, all take up space. Another possibility is you have some type of malware/virus.
Here is a link to a free app that shows the size of each folder.

http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/question-about-free-used-space-on-hard-drive.932780/
Relevancy 64.93%

I have a Sony Vaio with a FAT32 15.9 GB and NTFS with 58.5GB. The FAT32 has 6% free space left and the NTFS has 54% free space left.
This is Windows XP -
Can I move my Microsoft Office Program from FAT32 to NTFS safely? Will it work? That program consumes so much memory. I have deleted and uninstalled and still I'm running out of space. Yet I have all this free space in the other partition.
The only thing I moved to NTFS is My documents and My pictures folders.

I don't remember who but someone said I cannot put programs on the NTFS system. Any help is grately appreciated.

Relevancy 64.93%

My NTFS non-system partition is now almost well defragmented. However this applies only to small and medium sized files.

There are still approx 40 big files (> 1 GB) which cannot be defragmented because there is no free single (!) space slot where they fit in.

So I need a way to shift all occupied clusters to get free contigous space on my hard disk.
Currently about 150 GB is be free on my partition but divided into thousand of individual chunks.

I tried now half a dozend of defragmenters.
Sad but true: NO (!) one was able to perform this easy operation.

Can someone recommend me a real defragmenter which is able to perform such a "shift" operation?

Thank you
Peter

A:How to shift all free space on hard disk to get contigous free space?

I'm not sure exactly what you have and exactly what you are trying to do.

I personally use Windows 7 built in defrag and have found nothing better.

Windows 7 will put things like Windows 7 wants and needs things put.
The Windows 7 defrag or 3rd party defrag programs doesn't care where you want things put or what order you want them.

As far as I know you will have no control over such things.
You are obviously using a 3rd party defrag tool because you are watching the little colored squares and noticing what looks like free spaces between things. Why things are defragged in the fashion they are I really don't know.
What I do know is Windows 7 defrag put things in the order that Windows 7 wants them and that is what counts.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/376403-how-shift-all-free-space-hard-disk-get-contigous-free-space.html
Relevancy 64.93%

Hi! I used to be able to burn CDs without any problem...for some reason it doesn't work anymore and I've tried quite a few things after troubleshooting by searching for solutions on-line. When I insert my CD which already has a few files on it, the details shows that there is no free space but yet only 3.43MB of data on it (it should go up to 700MB). I'm therefore unable to burn more data and I've tried the same with a blank CD, it says the same (no free space even though there is nothing on the CD yet). I have already tried uninstalling the driver and it didn't fix the problem. When I right-click Properties for the drive and go to Recording tab, the 'enable CD recording on this device' is checked as it should be. Can someone point me in the right direction? THANK YOU

A:Solved: Burning CDs - no free space when in fact there is over 600MB of free space!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-burning-cds-no-free-space-when-in-fact-there-is-over-600mb-of-free-space.572191/
Relevancy 63.21%

does anybody know why i have 1.10 GB free space in Safe Mode and 804 MB free space in Normal? thanks. and i know that 804 MB free space isnt alot, this is a pretty small harddrive from what the computer says it is .

A:1.10 GB free space in Safe Mode, in Normal 804 MB free space?

Just guessing here but not everything lots in Safe Mode so it is not using the same that it does with a Normal boot up.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/1-10-gb-free-space-in-safe-mode-in-normal-804-mb-free-space.438611/
Relevancy 60.63%

Hi, for months my C: (120 SSD) had only 2GB left of free space. So I finally purchased a 250GB SSD to replace it with. I received the drive last week and the box has been sitting on my desk. This morning I noticed that all of a sudden my C: drive is no longer in the red... I now have 30GB of free space. How can this be? I didnt uninstall any programs! All that occured on my PC is a windows update the other night...

Possible explanations?

A:Why did I suddenly go from 2GB free space to 30GB free space??

There is the system maintenance troubleshooter that runs at 1am.
Issues it looks for:
-Troubleshooting history is taking up disk space
-Broken shortcuts
-System time is set incorrectly
-There are icons on the desktop that haven't been used in 3 months.
-Disk volume errors
-Error reports are taking up disk space

Could be disk cleanup, you could also try running that as well. It now has the new mode windows update cleanup which removed older updates that have been unnecessary as new ones replaced it. That will save you even more space.

Maybe a program updated as well.

With all these combinations it can be possible you received a good chunk of free space. However, since you stated you have not run disk cleanup or have done anything, windows might have went nutz and has been wrong about your disk usage and just now got it right.(I am thinking this is the case.)

Or you have not restarted in awhile, and this is when disk information is updated.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/331769-why-did-i-suddenly-go-2gb-free-space-30gb-free-space.html
Relevancy 57.62%

How do I put the hard drive space used and free space on the Partition C: ? Partition D:\ and Partition E:\ has it but for some reason drive C:\ is missing it doesn't say how much space is used and how much space is free. The GBs are missing

A:How to bring back the amount of free space and used space on a hard drive

I'm a little confused about your question

You can't see how much drive space you have left when viewing your C drive via My Computer, or similar?

If you right-click on My Computer and select Manage, when the new window pops up click on Disk Management from the left hand side. What does that tell you about C drive? Assuming your C drive is actually a hard drive (and not a CD drive or something, though I have never heard of this happening and don't even know if it's possible to have C as your CD drive), you should see details at the top of the screen such as how much space you have left, by percentage of total capacity, as well as GB

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/195031-how-bring-back-amount-free-space-used-space-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 57.62%

My computer is running 8.1

It has a 32GB SSD with a wee bit over 4GB free.

Will that cause problems upgrading to Windows 10?

A:Upgrading Windows 8.1 >> Windows 10 question...free space

Yes it will as the upgrade installation leaves a Windows.old folder which in itself will be over 20GB. You'd need a bigger SSD really.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/69509-upgrading-windows-8-1-windows-10-question-free-space.html
Relevancy 57.19%

I tried to use KillDisc program to wipe the Deleted/ unused data, on my Toshiba Tecra laptop. However I keep getting an error message saying ' Error locking drive C: '. Any suggestions. At some point I will also want to erase the whole disc and I want to avoid this problem. Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/trying-to-wipe-deleted-unused-space-with-killdisc.692436/
Relevancy 57.19%

i wanted to copy a cd image GB ISO format from partition F NTFS GB free to partition D FAT GB free space and windows gives me that crap there is not enough space and i should do a disk clean up ok i made a disk clean up to partition D and there was GB of system restore files maybe coz i deleted GB earlier anyway i deleted the system restore files and i turned it off so i have now GB free free Solved: space??!!!!! 15GB space it tells me and disk not enough space on partition D and yet it tells me there is not enough space i tried a trick i thought i can use winrar to archive the ISO image and select the destination folder on the partition i wanna move it to but at like winrar popped up a message that only NTFS partions can have files with file size more than GB i hope theres nothing wrong Solved: 15GB free space and it tells me not enough disk space??!!!!! with my windows or my hard disk and i wanna know if theres a way to move that ISO image thanx in advance nbsp

A:Solved: 15GB free space and it tells me not enough disk space??!!!!!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-15gb-free-space-and-it-tells-me-not-enough-disk-space.609282/
Relevancy 57.19%

Am I the only one to notice and complain over this in W8.1.

This morning a new Adobe Flash update has appeared, KB3079777. The update is sized at 17.9mb. Nothing is running on the PC, its idle and with no disk activity. Free space is 55.4GB. I apply the update and free space immediately falls to 54.9gb. This behaviour is consistent with every such patch applied. Now over time, that space will return which suggests that something else is going on here. But what ?

A:Free disk space & space used by a single Flash Update.

Looks like it is just me then. Today brought a 4.6Mb W8.1>W10 computability update. My free space changed from 55.2Gb to 54.7Gb.

Sounds about right. Ho hum....

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/68704-free-disk-space-space-used-single-flash-update.html
Relevancy 56.76%

i installed ubuntu on my ssd and had a dual boot laptop, however i want to use my ssd as a cache drive, henceforth i deleted ubuntu and now i have unallocated space and free space on my ssd and i am wondering if i need to covert that into a new partitioned volume that can be used as a cache drive

A:Use unallocated space and free space on ssd as cache drive

I think you need to allocate the free space as a linux swap partition and format it as such.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/use-unallocated-space-and-free-space-on-ssd-as-cache-drive.1118424/
Relevancy 56.76%

Hi, I've noticed sometimes that the Free Space on my harddrives won't reflect changes I've made. For example, on my 28.6gb F: drive, I had about 586mb free. I just deleted a video file of about 700 mb, so it should be up to about 1.2 gb. Oddly enough, its still at 586mb. I emptied the recycle bin of course.

Is there a way to recalculate disc space? I have Windows XP and I do have Norton System Works. This isn't the first time disc space hasn't matched recent actions. Thanks in advance.

A:Free Space inaccuracies?? Calculating disc space?

If the video wasn't in My Docs then 'System Restore' in XP may have recorded the change to enable a future restore. To record a 700mb deletion that it may be asked to restore back takes 700mb.
System restore ignores the My Docs folder so the above is irrelevant if the video was deleted from that location.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/free-space-inaccuracies-calculating-disc-space.449710/
Relevancy 56.76%

Setting up a new box Vista sadly to say Installed MS Office XP Pro and get the following error is disk space on this Free space drive some full. when closing MS Word ONLY Excel saves without any errors The disk is full Free some space on this drive or save the document on another disk Try one of the following Close any unneeded documents programs and windows Save the document on another disk I ve moved the file location and same error I cleaned up the drive including removing all restore point except the disk space is full. Free some space on this drive last one Now this thing has a gig drive but it disk space is full. Free some space on this drive is also used for security in a mini mart with cameras There are about Gigs of video from the security cameras on this box At this time I am just setting it up no cameras are connected and the security program hasn t disk space is full. Free some space on this drive been set up yet I just moved the files from the old drive to this one BTW the old drive crashed I ve tried the detect and repair in MS Word and no help I have uninstalled MS Office and reinstalled and no help and even went into Properties and set the user up on quota with no limits and still no help So now I am at a loss and have no idea what to try next Really don t want to delete the security files because it took hours to transfer them to this computer and unless all else fails this isn t a option I want to use Now on the old box which had XP Pro this was not a problem so on Vista it should not be either but then Vista is a MS Software so this is understandable Actually the old box had a gig hard drive so I think it actually has something to do with the O S VISTA but after fooling with this for two days that could just be me Now not sure if I posted in the correct forum if not please move to the correct forum nbsp

Relevancy 56.76%

I know that the above thread title has already been addressed in the past but none of them have solved my problem till now I have already read following threads- http www sevenforums com hardware- partition html http www sevenforums com general-d make space unallocated space to I free How delete it do the anagement html http www sevenforums com performan ree-space html Cannot extend volume disk management although quot free space quot exists The problem is that the free space in the screenshot below cannot be deleted to make an unallocated space nor can How do I delete the free space to make it unallocated space it be used to create a new volume Also the c amp d drives are not able to extend from the free space available thus rendering those GB useless I have also tried the help in the second link given above i e by using the partition wizard i used a bootable usb for the same i tried to convert the free space to primary partition but that option convert to primary too was greyed out in the partition wizard when i tried to do so The other option to resize the partition was also greyed out in the same partition wizard I also executed the chkdsk f in an elevated command window as suggested in the first link But no error was encountered and my laptop is working fine I just want to recover that free space PN Previously I had ubuntu root installed on the partition which now is the free space of GB As I no longer required ubuntu i removed it as per the instructions in the given video which i was successful in doing How to Uninstall Ubuntu from a Dual Boot Windows PC - YouTube a hd frameborder allowfullscreen But the only problem is that the guy in the video easily deletes the free space converting it to unallocated Actually he deletes two partitions see video at one is of the root amp the other might be the home folder to get one free space which inturn gets converted to unallocated space after deleting And the same is not happening in my case PN I too had two partitions for ubuntu one for the root amp the other for the home folder The root is the now free space in the screen shot below amp the home folder was successfully deleted and merged in the d drive I hope that i have been clear in explaining my problem Thanks in advance -

A:How do I delete the free space to make it unallocated space

Hello apple byte and welcome to Seven Forums.

If I missed this in your post, I apologize. But what happens if you assign a drive letter to the free space? Can you then delete and use disk management or partition wizard to extend the C partition?

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/322895-how-do-i-delete-free-space-make-unallocated-space.html
Relevancy 56.76%

Help pease My computer keeps saying i gb have 1.98 help one i it then minute am of space, left of running space free out i'm running out of space I have deleted everything i can help i am running out of free space, one minute i have 1.98 gb of space left then it think of I got rid of movies videos all downloads and all music Still it says i don't have enough space In fact the red line keeps going up amp down one minute i have gb free then all of a sudden i look again and now i only have gb freee and i haven't changed anything I have followed all your steps i downloaded the malware amp antivirus the antivirus says there's no infected files the malware just had registry files infected below is the log report after the malware scan Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Database version Windows AM mbam-log- - - - - txt Scan type Quick Scan Objects scanned Time elapsed minute s second s Memory Processes Infected Memory Modules Infected Registry Keys Infected Registry Values Infected Registry Data Items help i am running out of free space, one minute i have 1.98 gb of space left then it Infected Folders Infected Files Infected Memory Processes Infected No malicious items detected Memory Modules Infected No malicious items detected Registry Keys Infected HKEY CLASSES ROOT fis amo Adware SmartShopper - gt No action taken HKEY CLASSES ROOT fis ohb Adware SmartShopper - gt No action taken HKEY CLASSES ROOT fis momo Adware SmartShopper - gt No action taken HKEY CURRENT USER SOFTWARE UpMedia Adware SmartShopper - gt No action taken HKEY CURRENT USER SOFTWARE MediaHoldings Adware PlayMP Z - gt No action taken HKEY CURRENT USER SOFTWARE Trymedia Systems Adware Trymedia - gt No action taken HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SOFTWARE RelatedPageInstall Adware Mirar - gt No action taken Registry Values Infected No malicious items detected Registry Data Items Infected No malicious items detected Folders Infected No malicious items detected Files Infected No malicious items detected this is the virus scan results below avast Report This file is generated automatically Task 'Simple user interface' used Started help i am running out of free space, one minute i have 1.98 gb of space left then it on Wednesday July AM VPS - C Boot BCD E The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process C Boot BCD LOG E The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process C Documents and Settings All Users Microsoft Search Data Applications Windows MSS log E The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process C Documents and Settings All Users Microsoft Search Data Applications Windows MSStmp log E The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process C Documents and Settings All Users Microsoft Search Data Applications Windows tmp edb E The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process C Documents and Settings All Users Microsoft Search Data Applications Windows Windows edb E The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process C Documents and Settings sr cars AppData Local Microsoft Windows UsrClass dat E The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process C Documents and Settings sr cars AppData Local Microsoft Windows UsrClass dat LOG E The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process C Documents and Settings sr cars AppData Local Microsoft Windows UsrClass dat LOG E The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process C Documents and Settings sr cars AppData Local Microsoft Windows Defender FileTracker FC B - B - - CB - DC DED F E The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process C Documents and Settings sr cars AppData Local Temp hsperfdata sr cars E The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process C Documents and Settings sr cars NTUSER DAT E The process cannot access the file because it ... Read more

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/help-i-am-running-out-of-free-space-one-minute-i-have-1-98-gb-of-space-left-then-it-273138.html
Relevancy 56.76%

Hi

We just placed a new Dell Dimension. It has a 40 Gig hard drive.

User keeps getting this message:

DISK FREE SPACE HAS DROPPED BELOW THE MINIMUM THRESHOLD. FREE UP SPACE ON YOUR HARD DISK DRIVE BY:

1. BACKING UP YOUR DATA TO A TAPE BACKUP, ZIP OR NETWORK DRIVE
2. DELETE UNUSED FILES

IF YOU ARE UNSURE WHICH FILES ARE SAFE TO MOVE OR DELETE, CONTACT YOUR HELP DESK OR CONSULT YOUR SOFTWARE MANUALS.

This machine has over 30 gigs of free space. It's impossible that there is a disk space issue.

Any ideas what could be causing this? Some sort of mis-communication or setting?

Thanks

A:Disk Space Error - 30 Gigs free space

It should be a configuration setting. I'd call Dell if you just got this machine. Their "english" is a little suspect though. It sounds like some hokey Dell software reminding you to back up your drive. When does the message appear? After it boots?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/disk-space-error-30-gigs-free-space.252512/
Relevancy 56.76%

HELP PLEASE... uninsstalling software...not enough disk space...please free space http://www.vistax64.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

when i try to install software it comes up with (drive)not enough disk space..when i have 30gb left..

when i attempt to create a restore point twice 1st came up with 0x80070070 and 2nd was

when i load a picture it says not enough picture please close some apps/free up disk space

when i uninstall a software it says an error occured while writing installation information to disk.check to make sure enough disk space is available, and click retry or cancel end the ..

my computer has 1 harddrive split into C and D partitions...its an ACER 57357 with 4gb ram,2.16ghz-667mhz fsb-1mb l2 cache, 320gb harddrive, 4500m intergrated graphics

A:HELP PLEASE... uninsstalling software...not enough disk space...please free space

Originally Posted by npm1

HELP PLEASE... uninsstalling software...not enough disk space...please free space http://www.vistax64.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

when i try to install software it comes up with (drive)not enough disk space..when i have 30gb left..

when i attempt to create a restore point twice 1st came up with 0x80070070 and 2nd was

when i load a picture it says not enough picture please close some apps/free up disk space

when i uninstall a software it says an error occured while writing installation information to disk.check to make sure enough disk space is available, and click retry or cancel end the ..

my computer has 1 harddrive split into C and D partitions...its an ACER 57357 with 4gb ram,2.16ghz-667mhz fsb-1mb l2 cache, 320gb harddrive, 4500m intergrated graphics

We could use a screenshot of your disk management console

Ken

http://www.vistax64.com/software/273341-help-please-uninsstalling-software-not-enough-disk-space-please-free-space.html
Relevancy 56.76%

How do I merge the 18 gb system drive, that has no drive letter, with my c: Drive.

See screen shot:

A:Runnig out of disk space...7% of free space left.

You can not merge it. Right click on it and try to shrink it to about 350MB.

Another solution: Um. 55GB (yes, GB) System Reserved Partition?! Solved

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/59366-runnig-out-disk-space-7-free-space-left.html
Relevancy 56.33%

Is there any real advantage to buying the pro versions of these?  I have both on my computer - I was advised these were good to keep after having someone at bleeping computer help me clean my laptop of infections etc.

I also have Malware and did buy the pro edition.  

Thank you

Ann

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/627031/wipe-cc-cleaner-free-editions/
Relevancy 55.9%

I've tried ERASER, but find it cumbersome to setup and use.

Is there a better free one out there, please?

Relevancy 55.9%

Running vista home premium -bit with GB on readings erroneous HDD space/free Used space HDD When I open quot Computer quot it shows graphically and numerically the used and free space on my drives C - normally shows GB free of GB D - Factory image - GB free of GB K - HP Pocket media drive GB free of GB The problem I am having applies only to C with the others remaining unchanged The graphical representation of free used space is in Used space/free space on HDD erroneous readings blue and white normally Here is the problem The last couple of weeks when I open quot Computer quot I sometimes get C - GB free of GB and the graphical representation is in red not blue I got an error message the other day that I did not have free space to do what I wanted to do When I checked free space it was showing in red free space of GB instead of the normal plus GB As soon as I reboot the free space is shown as the correct amount - plus GB Anyone know what is going on and how I correct it nbsp

A:Used space/free space on HDD erroneous readings

I would cleanup like this

on your normal login

get a cmd prompt and enter cleanmgr

do it again using an admin login

Then verify the free vs total space

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/used-space-free-space-on-hdd-erroneous-readings.186155/
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi all
Here is what happened.
I had to uninstall HP Photosmart C4100 series only because I was missing some wording on the buttons that just disappeared for some reason, so I went on thier help and support and it showed the exact same problem and what to do about it, It said to uninstall the program and then just reinstall it.
Well now, when I go to reinstall, it will not automatically start so I clicked on my computer and dvd-rw Drive (E and there are no files, in fact it states that my my file system is CDFS and the CDA Default - Full ___ It says all space used 672 MB and Free Space 0 Bytes

What the heck happened, I am no computer wizard so can you please help me to correct this, I can't download the Photosmart program back onto my computer ????

HELP
GRAMMA

A:Solved: DVD-RW Drive (E:) Used Space/Free Space 0 ?????

CD might be dirty...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-dvd-rw-drive-e-used-space-free-space-0.506286/
Relevancy 55.47%

I need a program that would easily wipe the C drive but leave the recovery partition alone.

any ideas what to use? need something free and easy.

Ive also read that starting with windows Vista, a format does a basic hard drive wipe. so is this basic wiping of the drive enough for the home user?

Just wondering what others use. thanks.

A:need a free hard drive wipe program...

Don't let the name fool you. This might be what you are looking for. It's one of the Forms Tutorials.
Windows 7 Installation - Prepare PC to be Sold

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/291488-need-free-hard-drive-wipe-program.html
Relevancy 55.04%

hi guys,
if i was looking to use a free hard drive eraser/wipe tool, what do you guys use/recommend,

thanks for your time, bluesfloyd,

A:free hard drive eraser/wipe tools

Hi,
I use this one
Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free
Although you might be wanting something like this
Windows 7 Installation - Prepare PC to be Sold

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/390736-free-hard-drive-eraser-wipe-tools.html
Relevancy 55.04%

Win XP Pro SP 2 Installed new SATA drive when I rebuilt computer. Computer never worked right from the start but begain to crash and present full pages of error messages (which instantly disappeared) on a frequent basis. Tried many "solutions" but none worked. So, I tried the "repair" of last resort. That did it. Now the computer will not boot at all. Am beginning to suspect the CPU (already changed the MB, memory, and HD) has been the problem all along. So will rebuild the computer again with updated parts. My problem is -- how can I wipe the C: partition (or the D: partition also if necessary) absolutely clean of OS and all programs and data so I can use the clean SATA drive in a new machine? Does anyone know where I can find a free wipe utility so I can reclaim the SATA HD?

Relevancy 53.75%

So a clients computer would not allow it her to save anything on the pc. I checked the hard drive and it showed 0 available space and 0 free space. The hd was not accesible. I attempted to get into windows utilities but i would get an error saying the rersource was on an unavailable network. I thought it was a damaged hard drive bit the check disk showed no errors. Safe mode showed the hard drive had space and was accesible. I ended up factory restoring the pc. Has anyone encountered this issue. I have a suspicion it could be a new virus. I have never dealt with this kind of issue.

A:available space 0, free space zero on c drive

This one is new to me. Was this after installing the latest updates?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/494550/available-space-0-free-space-zero-on-c-drive/
Relevancy 53.75%

I have installed the main system of windows 7 in SSD as well as update software and driver.
But,another things i installed at HDD.

My question is when i haven't installed other software from Internet,why the SSD space will cut down automatically??

HELP!!!!

A:Solved: Why my SSD space did always cut down space of free???HELP!!!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-why-my-ssd-space-did-always-cut-down-space-of-free-help.1132352/
Relevancy 53.75%

In "My computer", i would like to see how much space in gigabytes that im using for my hard drives rather than always seeing "total size" and "free space" and have to do the subtraction each time i wanna know. and i know theres a way to enable seeing a percentage, but still, not an approximate GB amount..

does anyone know how to do this?

A:How to see "space used" instead of "free space" in "My Computer"?

Hello TitusRaven -
Have you attempted to use Speccy  ?? This gives both Used  and Free -

You can post a snapshot with Speccy for more system details -How to Publish a snapshot with Speccy <<-- Read the Full Directions Here (only Copy / Paste the link)
Not just the first bit, but the Full Link (this takes 2 minutes to load )..

Thank You -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/584786/how-to-see-space-used-instead-of-free-space-in-my-computer/
Relevancy 53.75%

Hi

My laptop has 2x 7,200RMP ~320 GB hardrives. Previously I was using Vista and all partitions were devided equally (~150 GB) . After I've installed Win7 on C, part. D (which also has recovery files) suddenly became 13 GB,whilst other ones stayed the same.
So my question is where did the other 135 GB go ?

Thx in advance

A:HDD free space lost in Space....

Try posting a screen shot of disk mgmt so we can give a more accurate answer.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/137547-hdd-free-space-lost-space.html
Relevancy 52.03%

Hi again, I'm about to perform a disc wipe before reinstalling windows, but I wanted to be sure of it's process and wanted to know what I will be seeing to verify that all is proceeding correctly. For ex. on boot will I be seeing something like ( KERNEL DOS ) or anything similar?

A:Question About Disc Wipe Out

First, be sure you don't have any bar to a reinstall from the xp disk. (HP at times has a hidden partition). Plop in the disk, and follow the prompts. When windows selects a partition, delete all the old ones and reformat with ntfs file system. If you don't you will end up with 2 copies of windows. I am assuming you want to wipe the drive completely? If so, you will need to backup your data elsewhere or lose it.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/49445/question-about-disc-wipe-out/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hi, I'm pretty sure my PC is infected with a devious virus that seems to evade most of the normal scans (Malwarebytes, for example, keeps finding something innocuous ever few days, but the browser redirect problems, dodgy performance, etc. don't go away). Hitman Pro is telling me it's got something called atapi.sys, and from what I can find googling that, it's not good. So I'm thinking about just wiping the machine, but I'm concerned about re-infecting it after that with something in the old data (I use the machine for drafting applications, email, plus of course run of the mill Open Office applications). Could somebody point me in the direction of the best way to backup my current data in a way which will preclude reinfection? Thank you.

A:Question about wipe/reformat, possible reinfection from old data

You can try burning the data to a CD then scan it as deep as your AV will allow, if it comes up clean "You may" get away with it. I suggest that you go to your HD manufacturers site and down load a wipe program that will write 0's to the drive, it is very easy to drag bad baggage along onto the new install.

Phil

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/305075/question-about-wipereformat-possible-reinfection-from-old-data/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hey guys - I have a somewhat older Dell laptop that I am considering selling I have a question Pro - - Dell Xp Question Windows Wipe Drive about cleaning the drive though I have a KillDisk License and would like to use it to erase all the data from the laptop s hard drive prior to selling However I am wondering if this will erase the Dell Diagnostic tool that you can boot to in order to test your hardware I assume it will because I doubt it is loaded onto a separate chip - probably just written to the drive If it does erase it is this utility something that I can reinstall or would it be gone forever Obviously after running KillDisk I will be reinstalling my operating system - Windows XP Professional Anything else I should consider before wiping the drive with KillDisk How about general things to do when formatting a drive I have wiped several desktop hard drives but this will be my first notebook I was a little worried about getting all the drivers loaded back on so I purchased DriverGenius which allows you to back up all your drivers Thanks so much guys

A:Windows Xp Pro - Drive Wipe Question - Dell

Presumably the Dell Diagnostics are included on a separate partition on the hard drive. I understand that KillDisk has the ability to delete individual partitions. So, you could delete all the partitions except the diagnostic one.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/158946/windows-xp-pro-drive-wipe-question-dell/
Relevancy 49.02%

Hi all-
I seem to have a problem with Windows 7 not updating the Free Space of my HDD. I've been deleting and/or moving files and my Primary HDD doesn't recognize the fact that there has been a change. For illustrative purposes, I've included 2 screenshots, one of what I see when I open 'Computer:'

...and one of WinDirStat (which is, AFAIK, a true representation of what is actually on my HDD...)
I somehow managed to regain 3GB (up to 6GB), but I'm missing much more. Any help/insight is appreciated. I've run CHKDSK, and I've looked for everything I can think of, all with no joy. (The highlights in WinDirStat are mine.)

Thanks for looking.

-Fuentes

A:HELP! - With Free Space

First of all, run Windows 7 SP1 Disk Cleanup Tool and see if the situation is changed or not.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/214149-help-free-space.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Hi for some reason all of a sudden my computer completly ran out of space. Before i had a little less than half free. I tried to delete some things and it would free up some space but the next day it would have nothing again. i dont know what it is im guessing a virus but i dont know how to deal with it.If someone can help me that would be great.
thanks matt

Relevancy 49.02%

Last week I transferred 12 GB of media files to an external drive and deleted them from my HD and recycle bin. I expected to gain space on me internal 1.5TB HD, but instead I lost 15 GB of space. I ran a search and found the deleted files but they were empty. I ran security scans and duplicated file scans and nothing showed up. I'm very confused as to how this could happen and would appreciate any input. I've never experienced this problem before.
Thanks in advance.

Custom Build running win vista 64 bit Ultimate: service pack 2
Inter Core 2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz
8 GB Ram
Nvida GeForce 9500 GT
ASUS P5Q SE2 MB

A:Trying to free up space on my HD

Could you check and tell me how much system restore is using on your drive since these can take up a lot of disk space and may coincidentally cause additional disk space on your drive

To do so please follow this tutorial: System Restore - disk space

You may also want to try and run a disk cleanup to see how much temporary or unused data can be removed

To do so simply follow this tutorial - Disk Cleanup

Hope This Helps,
Josh!

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/300568-trying-free-up-space-my-hd.html
Relevancy 49.02%

How can I make free space on my D-drive if it is full?
Thank you.
VP

Relevancy 49.02%

My laptop is a Dell L702x (XPS). I had to start all over because of a file permission issue. I have the factory installation disc with Win 7 Pro 64. When I get to the stage where I select the drive to install on, I always get an error telling me the installation cannot proceed because the selected drive does not have enough free space. I have formatted the drives. No help. I have deleted the partitions and allocated them again. No help, same error. One drive is a 250GB SSD and the other is a 500 GB HDD. I cannot install Windows. Now what?

A:Not enough free space?

I figured it out. There was an extra partition on each drive. Each was small (~100 MB). I deleted both of those partitions and then reallocated the space on each drive and now Windows is installing.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/322564-not-enough-free-space.html
Relevancy 49.02%

I'm running windows xp I have only have a 20 GB hard drive half is for a c-drive whitch is filling up and half is for a D-drive which has a lot of spare room. c drive is NTSF and the D-drive is fats32 how can i make better use of the space on the d drive also the d drive has an Extended partition around it i dont know why. i had a scanner that showed me all the stuff on my c-drive but i lost it and dont remember what it was.

A:free space

Quote:

Originally Posted by jchos3

I'm running windows xp I have only have a 20 GB hard drive half is for a c-drive whitch is filling up and half is for a D-drive which has a lot of spare room. c drive is NTSF and the D-drive is fats32 how can i make better use of the space on the d drive also the d drive has an Extended partition around it i dont know why. i had a scanner that showed me all the stuff on my c-drive but i lost it and dont remember what it was.

You say the C Drive is filling up. Understandable considering the size of the XP operating system. What is it filling up with?

Do you have a lot of pictures/music/video files? If so, start saving them on the D drive.

Do you like to install a lot of programs use them once or twice and forget about them? If so, clean up the C drive by uninstalling any programs that you don't use on a regular basis (or at all for that matter). If you still use these programs and need to install new programs you can elect to begin installing new programs to the D drive.

Another option, if you feel up to it, is to use a 3rd party partition manager. With a partition manager you can join the C and D partition to form one large C drive. I am not very familiar with partition managers as I don't like to mess with a partition if Windows is running well. Many of these partition managers boast that they can divide/join partitions without loss of data or the need to reinstall windows. Use with caution though. For every ten success stories I've read there has been one story of how the user lost everything.

Yet another option (not for the faint of heart) is to zero the hard drive and create one large partition. This will of course nuke all data on the hard drive (both partitions). You will then have to format and reinstall Windows. While this may seem like a daunting task there are some benefits. Your system will run better, faster, stronger because you are purging old, unused files that get in the way of a smooth OS as well as restructuring files on the drive. Kind of like a defrag on steroids.

Lydokane

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/free-space-143885.html
Relevancy 49.02%

With a 2gb harddrive with only 600mb of space used error message saying harddrive full, free up space before saving document. When i look at available space it says 512k free! I dont think it is a windows problem (windows 98SE) because i have run scandisk on boot up prior to windows loading and has also showed harddrive as completely full. Then i can boot again and all seems fine until i try to save a document (in msword 97). The problem seems intermitent. Have done all the usual, scandisk, defrag and even ran a utility program to check harddrive (spinrite). At first i thought it looked like an ide controller problem, so i replace the motherboard. same problems. replaced cable - same problems. Could this be a ram issue? No other problems besides this. I hope someone out there can help me get to the bottom of this. Thank you very much

Relevancy 49.02%

I'm looking to free up space on my hard drive. Is it OK to uninstall old .NET versions, old java versions, and old windows updates? The old versions occupy tremendous space on my computer and if they can be safely removed I'll love to remove them. Is it safe to remove old versions of .NET framework, java consoles, and windows updates?

Relevancy 49.02%

Hi I have a GB HDD and I m down to GB s I m wanting to run a DVD program which requires my to have at least GB of free space Can any one tell me where all of my free space has gone I ll send a HiJack Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at AM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C Free Space? HDD WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Common Free HDD Space? Files Symantec Shared ccSetMgr exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccEvtMgr exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS system netdde exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS Nhksrv exe C WINDOWS System CTsvcCDA EXE C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared VS Debug mdm exe C Program Files Norton AntiVirus navapsvc exe C Program Files Norton SystemWorks Norton Utilities NPROTECT EXE C WINDOWS System devldr exe C Program Files Creative ShareDLL CtNotify exe C WINDOWS System nvsvc exe C WINDOWS DELLMMKB EXE C Program Files Norton AntiVirus SAVScan exe C Program Files Creative ShareDLL MediaDet Exe C Program Files Netropa OSD exe C PROGRA NORTON SPEEDD nopdb exe C Program Files HP hpcoretech hpcmpmgr exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Hewlett-Packard HP Software Update HPWuSchd exe C WINDOWS System spool drivers w x hpztsb exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared CCPD-LC symlcsvc exe C WINDOWS System hphmon exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Works Shared WkUFind exe C Program Files iHateSpam Outlook Express iHateSpam Outlook Express Edition piiserviceOE exe C Program Files Java j re bin jusched exe C WINDOWS SYSTEM USRmlnkA exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe C WINDOWS System ctfmon exe C WINDOWS SYSTEM USRshutA exe C WINDOWS SYSTEM USRmlnkA exe C Program Files B Software Windows Clean-Up Pro Windows Clean-Up Pro uzy C WINDOWS System HPZipm exe C WINDOWS System wuauclt exe C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe C Program Files Internet Explorer IEXPLORE EXE C Program Files Outlook Express msimn exe C Program Files iHateSpam Outlook Express iHateSpam Outlook Express Edition PostalInspectorOE exe C Program Files Spyware Programs hijackthis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http g msn com SEENUS SAOS R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www myhotsheet com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http red clientapps yahoo com cus sbcydsl http www yahoo com search ie html R - Default URLSearchHook is missing O - BHO no name - - F - D - - D F - C PROGRA SPYWAR SPYBOT SDHelper dll O - BHO NAV Helper - BDF E -B - AD-A -FADC B - C Program Files Norton AntiVirus NavShExt dll O - Toolbar Yahoo Companion - EF BD -C FB- D - F- D F - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn ycomp dll O - Toolbar MSN Toolbar - BDAD DAD-C - A -ADC - B B FF D - C Program Files MSN Toolbar en-us msntb dll O - Toolbar amp Radio - E - F- D - E- A C - C WINDOWS System msdxm ocx O - Toolbar Norton AntiVirus - CDD BF- FFB- - AD - DF B D - C Program Files Norton AntiVirus NavShExt dll O - HKLM Run Disc Detector C Program Files Creative ShareDLL CtNotify exe O - HKLM Run AHQInit C Program Files Creative SBLive Program AHQInit exe O - HKLM Run DellTouch C WINDOWS DELLMMKB EXE O - HKLM Run dvd C Program Files dvd dvd tray exe O - HKLM Run HP Component Manager C Program Files HP hpcoretech hpcmpmgr exe O - HKLM Run HP Software Update C Program Files Hewlett-Packard HP Software Update HPWuSchd exe O - HKLM Run HPDJ Taskbar Utility C WINDOWS System spool drivers w x hpztsb exe O - HKLM Run HPHmon C WINDOWS System hphmon exe O - HKLM Run HPHUPD C Program Files Hewlett-Packard B B-DCAB- - EE - F hphupd exe O - HKLM Run IPInSightMonitor C Program Files SBC Yahoo Connection Manager IP InSight IPMon exe O -... Read more

A:Free HDD Space?

Try running Disk Cleanup removing all but the last restore point, and then try CCLeaner to remove more junk files. Delete all the C:\Windows\Prefetch files , and then run chkdsk and defrag and see how much space you have.

You should also remove all hidden $NTUninstaller$ files from C:\Windows and then remove their entries from Add-Remove programs.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/free-hdd-space.325299/
Relevancy 49.02%

So is there? Or is it even necessary to? I have 1 gig of RAM by the way. Thanks!

Relevancy 49.02%

I originally had the free space as a D: Drive but decided to reallocate the space used back onto C:. I have gotten this far but am unsure how to continue because the extend drive option for C: is grayed out. I believe this is because the space which used to be D: is still shown as an extended partition. Please help! I have a Samsung RC512 with an Intel Core i7 Quad core processor and Windows 7 Home Premium.

Thank you very much for your help in advance.

A:Free space on HDD to C:

What happens if you delete it and create it again?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/free-space-on-hdd-to-c.1000357/
Relevancy 49.02%

how do you know what files you can delete on cp to free up space. is there some program i can install? if you delete some thing from your recycle bin can you recover those files?

Relevancy 49.02%

I have no idea what s going on but my computer a Dell Inspiron has only GB of Local Disk C left on it Now for the past months i ve been editing amp burning DVD s and films using editing software like Adobe Premiere Pro etc and i ve never had a problem I ve always had at least GBs or so i believe of free space at any given moment when messing around with that stuff When editing today I was alerted that my local disk C space! GB: 70 Free but 1 only GB of was running low and once i agreed to do a clean-up of some sort to remove temporary internet files amp offlines files etc i got a problem Suddenly my system was unstable and I had MB of free space This makes absolutely no sense to me There are no viruses that i m aware of and i ve deleted all of my video-editing projects amp DVD files Still i have only GB of free space I would be 70 GB: but only 1 GB of Free space! grateful for 70 GB: but only 1 GB of Free space! anyone that takes the time to consider my problem for a moment Also when i was doing the Local Disk clean up and the problem occured i got this quot Windows File Protection Files that are required for windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions To maintain system stability windows must restore the original versions of these files Insert you now Retry more information cancel quot I wasn t able to get my CD-ROM at the moment but would this have something to do with the problem Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 49.02%

Hi all I have a recent clean install of Windows Pro I have an SSD I got it a few years ago still pretty pricey at the time It's not quot huge quot as far as storage space goes GB so I like to keep things as lean as possible on it I have a separate HDD with TB Free Up Win 10/ Space of storage inside of my tower case So on the SSD as far as the quot C quot drive goes I have the OS and only the necessary program files Now Win 10/ Free Up Space the storage space issue I know if you disable quot Hibernation quot CMD prompt Right Win 10/ Free Up Space click Run as Admin type the following in powercfg exe Win 10/ Free Up Space hibernate off Press Enter and reboot your computer that that can free up some space Let me check this with you and tell me if this sounds feasible In Windows if you go to Control Panel System System Protection then highlight Local Disk C System it's usually by Default quot On quot If I click on the Configure button mine says that GB is being used for the Current Usage Under the heading of quot Restore Settings quot there are two radio buttons quot Turn On System Protection quot quot Disable System Protection quot by Default it's quot On quot This is all just basically for System Restore correct Like if something went freaky you can just restore your system to a previous point in the past correct If I chose the radio button of quot Disable System Protection quot would that give me back that GB I mentioned above I also have an external NAS which is constantly backing up my computer If something freaky ever happened and I needed to install Windows again from scratch all my important files folders are being backed up anyway I also noticed after pressing that Configure button that it has a section where it has a slider control and on mine it shows GB And there's also a Delete button here which says quot Delete all restore points for this drive quot So what say you quot Disable System Protection quot Would this free up some space for me And like I said I have a NAS doing constant backup for me anyway Or adjust that slider to even less than And click that Delete button to clear out any recently created restore points Would this free up space Thanks for any info Pez

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/win-10-free-up-space-278041/
Relevancy 49.02%

I have been trying to investigate ways to free up space free SSD up space ! on my ssd drive which is obviously much more limited in capacity compared to my regular hard drives So far I have tried tweaking the registry to alter the default installation path of applications as I am sure SSD free up space ! you are aware some applications do not allow you to change the installation folder so by default will move to the windows directory Tweaking the registry seemed to work SSD free up space ! to a point and some applications would be installed on my bulk drive not ssd but other applications still seem to contain most SSD free up space ! of their data on my ssd drive I have investigated how to move the app data folder onto my bulk drive but it said something like quot userclass quot was in use so thefore that was out of the question Next I found out about quot symbolic links quot and wanted to test it out by moving an application that normally refuses to give me an option to change installation directory in this case Skype I ran a test on the mklink command and it worked fine when creating a folder called quot a quot on the ssd drive and creating a link to quot a quot on my bulk drive however when I entered this into command prompt quot E Users username gt mklink D C Program Files x Skype E Program Files x S kype quot it doesn't work apparently the quot syntax quot is wrong hmm ok At this point can someone tell me How I have entered that command wrong do I need a junction symbolic link or hard link Is there an application with a UI to do this easier faster Will creating symbolic links or whatever link is best put any wear and tear on the performance of my ssd drive thanks x kype quot

A:SSD free up space !

Not sure on the other thing, but Disk cleanup with the newly added windows update cleanup feature makes disk cleanup now worth running.

That should free a lot of space. Run it and see what happens. You might also try ccleaner.

CCleaner - Delete Junk Files

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/342044-ssd-free-up-space.html
Relevancy 49.02%

I ve posted my HiJackthis log file I need help to clean up my disk Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system nvsvc exe space free No C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Trusteer Rapport bin RapportMgmtService exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files Common Files ArcSoft Connection Service Bin ACService exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared VS DEBUG MDM EXE C Program Files Norton Internet Security Engine ccSvcHst exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system SearchIndexer exe C WINDOWS system wuauclt exe C WINDOWS system RUNDLL EXE C Program Files Google Quick Search Box GoogleQuickSearchBox exe C Program Files Thomson SpeedTouch USB Dragdiag exe C WINDOWS system spool drivers w x hpztsb exe C Program Files Common Files ArcSoft Connection Service Bin ACDaemon exe C Program Files Adobe Reader Reader Reader sl exe C Program Files Common Files ArcSoft Connection Service Bin ArcCon ac C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Google GoogleToolbarNotifier No free space GoogleToolbarNotifier exe C Program Files Windows No free space Live Messenger msnmsgr exe No free space C Program Files McAfee Security Scan SSScheduler exe C Program Files Panasonic PHOTOfunSTUDIO -viewer- PhAutoRun exe C Program Files Windows Desktop Search WindowsSearch exe C Program Files Norton Internet Security Engine ccSvcHst exe C WINDOWS system rundll exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files Trusteer Rapport bin RapportService exe C WINDOWS system SearchProtocolHost exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C WINDOWS system wuauclt exe C WINDOWS system msiexec exe C Program Files Trend Micro HiJackThis HiJackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www google co uk R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId O - BHO AcroIEHelperStub - DF C-E AD- -A -FA C EBDC - C Program Files Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelperShim dll O - BHO no name - C C A-E - b - D - CECB - no file O - BHO Symantec NCO BHO - ADB E- AFF- - AA - DAC DFA - C Program Files Norton Internet Security Engine coIEPlg dll O - BHO Symantec Intrusion Prevention - D EC - AAE- -AEEE-F F C - C Program Files Norton Internet Security Engine IPSBHO DLL O - BHO Windows Live Sign-in Helper - D - C - ABF- ECC- C - C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WindowsLiveLogin dll O - BHO Google Toolbar Helper - AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - C Program Files Google Google Toolbar GoogleToolbar dll O - BHO Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - AF DE - D - -B FA-CE B AD D - C Program Files Google GoogleToolbarNotifier swg dll O - Toolbar Norton Toolbar - FEBEFE - B - - D -FFB D B CA - C Program Files Norton Internet Security Engine coIEPlg dll O - Toolbar Google Toolbar - C B - - d - B - A CD F - C Program Files Google Google Toolbar GoogleToolbar dll O - HKLM Run nwiz C Program Files NVIDIA Corporation nView nwiz exe install O - HKLM Run NvMediaCenter RUNDLL EXE C WINDOWS system NvMcTray dll NvTaskbarInit O - HKLM Run NvCplDaemon RUNDLL EXE C WINDOWS system NvCpl dll NvStartup O - HKLM Run Google Quick Search Box quot C Program Files Google Quick Search Box GoogleQuickSearchBox exe quot autorun O - HKLM Run NeroFilterCheck C WINDOWS system NeroCheck exe O - HKLM Run SpeedTouch USB Diagnostics quot C Program Files Thomson SpeedTouch USB Dragdiag exe quot icon O - H... Read more

A:No free space

Look here for a general guide to clearing disk space.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/no-free-space.935897/
Relevancy 49.02%

Does a SSD slow down like a HDD once it starts getting full?

A:How much free space should there be on a SSD?

Depending on the SSD the answer is a tiny bit to, an insanely huge amount. But for COMPLETELY different reasons from a traditional HD

Stick with well reviewed brands (Intel / OCZ) and you will be golden.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/89075-how-much-free-space-should-there-ssd.html
Relevancy 49.02%

in fact when i looked at the pie charts that show how much space i had left, all my drives (A:) (D:) (E:) (F:) had no space left and said there was 0 bytes. My local disk (C:) says i have 31.8 GB free space left or 5.43 GB used. Now i have a balloon popping up telling me that my windows virtual memory minimum is too low. What does that mean? How can i increase it and get back some more space on my other drives? Thank you!

A:Where Did My Free Space Go?

I beleive virtual memory is a diff kind of memory and also try defragmenting and also go to start run and typre cleanmgr.exe it should rid your computer of temp files and alot of crap also tune up utilities is something you should try it helped me alot

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/149392/where-did-my-free-space-go/
Relevancy 49.02%

Is it necessary to keep 15% free space available on hard drive for the performance to be good?
if yes why?
i have 2GB ram and os-vista

A:is 15% free space available necessary

Windows just warns you when you have a space less than 15% (Actually this value can be changed in the registry). I once had this problem, but I feel the performance is not reduced at all especially in some normal cases. However, if you use large programs such as photoshop or ACD, you may need larger space for the temporary file, often very large, will be stored during your use.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/is-15-free-space-available-necessary-419969.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Hello all I have a question regarding the free space on my C drive I am space my did go? free Where loosing space on the C drive constantly I have uninstalled programs that might be taking up a lot of space but I don t seem to get space back when I uninstall them I am running Windows XP and I keep getting these LOW DISK SPACE baloon popups in the lower right corner They are very annoying if you know what I mean I Where did my free space go? am looking for a way to have my PC run faster and to have some space to actually run smoothly I was putting off telling you how much free space I have but I guess now is the time prepare yourselves ONLY MB I don t know how this keeps happening I uninstall programs run disk cleanup everyday I have MB and then after sitting for about minutes not even touching it I have MB Pathetic as it might sound it is really bad I was corresponding with a Microsoft quot Tech quot about this We moved My Documents over to the D Drive calling it quot My Docs quot Apparently all my apps save it there as the default now Would it be safe to delete My Documents on the C Please post back with any ideas as taking minutes to get into windows on an Athlon Athlon XP is pretty bad Thanks -Mark nbsp

Relevancy 49.02%

Hi recently my comp got wiped by a virus so we had to get it fixed and basically its back to its original setting however we constantly get a box at bottom of right of screen saying it's full, my wife also did something on it the other day and the following message came on:

DATA(D:) Capacity 111GB
Freespace 646MB

Any ideas guy's?

A:Where's all my free space?!

Download and run WinDirStat - Windows Directory Statistics

It will show you how all the space is being used up on each drive.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/wheres-all-my-free-space-584488.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Hello ive not long brought this pc. and ive notice its got a drive c/d
my c drive is full. how can i go about moving space from d to c.
im got a screen shot of it here

Thnx

A:Hdd Free space

You dont say what o/s you can do it in windows but its simpler to use a free tool https://www.paragon-software.com/home/pm-express/ you have 2 choices delete d then grow c into the free space then you have a full size c or you can shrink d to the right create free space in front then grow c so you then still have ac d drive

http://www.pchelpforum.com/computer-diy/125589-hdd-free-space.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Hello about a month ago I started having a bit of trouble with some free space going missing I figured that up taken space Free being I was simply grabbing things and not understanding how large they were after a while it started getting more serious not downloading anything and an entire gig going away in a Free space being taken up day and it kept speeding up in half a day suddenly only having a couple of megs left or simply bytes restarting my computer would often free up all of that space though not always I ve run virus scans windirstat ccleaner scandisk none of it has fixed the problem ccleaner gets rid of a few megs from internet cache and stuff but not the several gigs that are dissapearing I remembered combofix working well in the past so I figured i d grab it but restarting my computer no longer frees up more than a couple of megs upon reboot so it doesn t have the space to make one of its initialization file by the time I can run it I suppose I could try to delete something but i d like to know from you guys do you think this will free up the problem or just do nothing like everything else has

A:Free space being taken up

How large is the hard drive?

How many partitions on the drive?

Size and free space for each?

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/325849/free-space-being-taken-up/
Relevancy 49.02%

im desperately trying to free up space and im having a lot of trouble jsut trying to figure out where all 18gb's are, but i found this folder in the c drive OLDREST and it claims to be taking up about 6 or 7gb's, what is the purpose of this folder and is there anyway i can delete it (without messing up my computer obviously) or just parts of it to free up space

A:trying to free up space

Delete the entire contents of the Oldrest folder sending it to the Recycle Bin. Then if you have no problems for a couple days, empty the Recycle Bin.

The folder is probably left over from a past Recovery/Reinstall of the system. You may recall. There is another possibility, it could be used by a Virtual Drive program. You'd know if you have one of those or ever have had.

In either case, you should be on safe ground sending it to the Bin.

Good luck.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/trying-to-free-up-space.188912/
Relevancy 49.02%

OK i just uninstall ed ubuntu from my system so now i just have windows vista.

I right clicked on my computer and click manage , i then went to driver management and then i saw free space of about 33.76 GB that was the GB that i shranked my other drive to install ubuntu but i do not have ubuntu anymore so is there a way i can get that 33.76 GB back into my drive i right click on my other drives there is no option to extend my drive. can someone help me thanks a lot.

I am using windows vista home premium
i have a laptop
acer aspire9410
memory: 1014

if u need anymore information tell me thank you.

Relevancy 49.02%

hi!
I need some help with the calculation of free space on my HDD i have a 458GB HDD but Windows shows i have no free sapce, then that i have some mb's then Kbs and then again no free space, the problem is that i've already run the cleanup tool, eliminated like 15Gb of data (images, documents, video, everything basically) also some programs but it still show that i don?t have free space, i?ve also weighted every folder and it doesent make sense (i should have like 300gb free) i?m also considering like 15gb of system recovery data, please help me my computer is really slow and i need it for doing all my homework and everything, i?ll rlly appreciate all your help!

A:Need help with HDD free space

Can be shadow copies

Go to computer icon
Click
Right click on c drive
Properties
clean disc
clean system files.
Will give you space.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/271995-need-help-hdd-free-space.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Deleting individual files from a CD-RW does not seem to increase the amount of available disk space. So if a CD-RW is (almost) full, I can’t just delete a few files and replace them by others in Nero. I get a “disk full” error message and I always need to erase the entire disk first. Is this normal?

Thanks

Relevancy 49.02%

Well, basically, I'm using a Dell Dimension 4550 on Windows XP Home(Yeah, I know, old as hell) and I'm a huge computer n00b. Someone told me that I should get a new Hard Disk Drive? I've been searching forums, but I don't know what hard drive I should get and if it's compatible with my computer or not. Help would be extremely appreciated, since I literally have less than 500MB left out of 74.4GB.

Thanks in advanced!

A:Low on Free Space!

More info! Basically all that's needed is either the Dell model number, or the motherboard model(doubted since dell is known for non standard boards).

Or, if you know, does it support SATA drives or strictly IDE?

Regardless; Seagate is an extremely good brand to buy HDD's from, Maxtor is one I'd stay away from.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/low-on-free-space.54509/
Relevancy 49.02%

Wondering if anyone can help me out quickly, i have 19 GB hard drive and i am trying to free up space, i have done all the suggested maintence, and i am still not freeing up space. Is there something else i can do?

A:Free up space

Did you do the maintenance in Safe Mode and restarted the computer normally?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/10895/free-up-space/
Relevancy 49.02%

Hi,

I have a 60gb OCZ ssd, so space is at a premium. I did disable hibernation for starters which helped.

If I go to Windows Explorer & right click on my drive, it says I am using 42.3GB with 17.1GB free. If I go into my C drive & select all & then right click & goto properties, it says I am using 32.8 GB & that is also the size on the disk.

Where is my missing 10 GB?

Thanks,
Rich

A:Where is my free space?

interesting. Can you post a Screenshot of what you are seeing?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/92124-where-my-free-space.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Dear friends for monthes now my space free gone where HDD I had a strange problem for me my HDD C is GB WD where my HDD free space gone the free space about GB my internet connection where my HDD free space gone is DSL when I surf the net and use my satellite pci card or bittorrent to download somethinge specially the last after hours or three I had an error message that I runout of space and I found that all the GB had gone and I have to restart my PC to regain this free space although I make the timeshift folder of my pci satellite card on another HDD D also GB please help me to solve this proplem I did alot of scans and searches but nothing appeared to me OS XPSP kaspersky internet security spy sweeper thank you in advanceM SaidDDS Ver - - - NTFSx Run by SAGY at on Sat Internet Explorer BrowserJavaVersion Microsoft Windows XP Professional GMT AV Kaspersky Internet Security On-access scanning enabled Updated FW Kaspersky Internet Security enabled Running Processes C Program Files Webroot WebrootSecurity WRConsumerService exeC WINDOWS system Ati evxx exeC WINDOWS system svchost -k DcomLaunchsvchost exeC WINDOWS System svchost exe -k netsvcsC Program Files Ahead InCD InCDsrv exeC Program Files WIDCOMM Bluetooth Software bin btwdins exeC WINDOWS system svchost exe -k WudfServiceGroupsvchost exeC WINDOWS system spoolsv exeC Program Files Kaspersky Lab Kaspersky Internet Security avp exeC Program Files Java jre bin jqs exeC Program Files Google Update GoogleUpdate exeC Program Files Common Files Motive McciCMService exeC Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared VS DEBUG MDM EXEC WINDOWS System svchost exe -k HPZ C Program Files CDBurnerXP NMSAccessU exeC WINDOWS System svchost exe -k HPZ C WINDOWS system svchost exe -k imgsvcC Program Files Webroot WebrootSecurity SpySweeper exeC WINDOWS system SearchIndexer exeC WINDOWS system Ati evxx exeC WINDOWS Explorer EXEC Program Files InkSaver InkSaver exeC Program Files Kaspersky Lab Kaspersky Internet Security avp exeC WINDOWS system ctfmon exeC Program Files Nokia Nokia PC Suite PcSync exeC Program Files WIDCOMM Bluetooth Software BTTray exeC Program Files PC Connectivity Solution ServiceLayer exeC Program Files PC Connectivity Solution Transports NclBCBTSrv exeC Program Files Common Files Nokia MPAPI MPAPI s exeC Program Files internet explorer iexplore exeC Program Files TuneUp Utilities RegistryCleaner exeC Program Files TuneUp Utilities Integrator exeC Program Files Internet Download Manager IEMonitor exeC Program Files Internet Download Manager IDMan exeC Program Files Webroot WebrootSecurity SpySweeperUI exeC Documents and Settings SAGY Desktop dds scr Pseudo HJT Report uSearch Page hxxp www google comuStart Page hxxp www google com mSearch Page hxxp www google commStart Page hxxp www google com uURLSearchHooks N A b b - - d -b d- ebb ba f a - c program files asksbar srchastt bin A SRCHAS DLLBHO IDMIEHlprObj Class c - - b-a bf- b c a a - c program files internet download manager IDMIECC dllBHO Ask Search Assistant BHO b b - - d -b d- ebb ba f a - c program files asksbar srchastt bin A SRCHAS DLLBHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper e f-c d - d -b d- b d be b - c program files common files adobe acrobat activex AcroIEHelper dllBHO IEVkbdBHO Class ab -e d - f -a a - fa cca c - c program files kaspersky lab kaspersky internet security ievkbd dllBHO Java Plug-In SSV Helper bb-d f - c-b eb-d daf d d - c program files java jre bin ssv dllBHO Windows Live Sign-in Helper d - c - abf- ecc- c - c program files common files microsoft shared windows live WindowsLiveLogin dllBHO myBabylon English Toolbar b e ee-fd e- c -a - f d d b - c program files mybabylon english tbmyB dllBHO Java Plug-In SSV Helper dbc -a - b-bc - c c c a - c program files java jre bin jp ssv dllBHO JQSIEStartDetectorImpl Class e e f - ce- c -bc -eabfe f c - c program files java jre lib deploy jqs ie jqs plugin dllBHO Ask Toolbar BHO f d b -da b- daf- e -dfee a aa - c program files asksbar bar bin ASKSBAR DLLTB Babylon... Read more

A:where my HDD free space gone

Hello and welcome to Bleeping ComputerWe apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help.If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If not please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine. If you have not done so, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.Upon completing the steps below another staff member will review and take the steps necessary with you to get your machine back in working order clean and free of malware.If you have already posted a DDS log, please do so again, as your situation may have changed.Use the 'Add Reply' and add the new log to this thread.Thanks and again sorry for the delay.We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan:Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links. Save it to your desktop.DDS.comDDS.scrDDS.pifDouble click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.A small box will open, with an explaination about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.Notepad will open with the results.Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet. Information on A/V control HERER,K

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/212779/where-my-hdd-free-space-gone/
Relevancy 49.02%

How much free space should I have on my harddrive for Windows XP to run at its best.

At the moment I have an 11gig partition with 7gig free. Is that enough?

Relevancy 49.02%

I would like to know what I can safely uninstall and or remove as they may be bogging down my computer It appears that I am running out of room to do anything I was just given a new Intuos pen tablet and I want to install it but lately I ve been receiving error messages stating quot You do not have enough memory to quot space? can How up free I when trying to do certain things mostly in Paint Shop Pro so I m a bit apprehensive My computer is sometimes How can I free up space? erratic and often extremely slow Please advise me as to how I can get rid of things I do not need what in particular I can remove or uninstall etc I am not the most computer savvy sorry so any information you give me would be most appreciated Thank you in advance Here is my info Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack bit Processor Intel R Pentium R CPU GHz x Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card Intel R G GL GE PE GV Graphics Controller Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard Dell Computer Corp C Antivirus avast Antivirus Updated Yes On-Demand Scanner Enabled Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Alwil Software Avast AvastSvc exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support AppleMobileDeviceService exe C Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Verizon IHA MessageCenter Bin Verizon IHAMessageCenter exe C Program Files Java jre bin jqs exe C Program Files Common Files Motive McciCMService exe C Program Files Microsoft Application Virtualization Client sftvsa exe C Program Files VERIZONDM bin sprtsvc exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS System dllhost exe C Program Files VERIZONDM bin tgsrvc exe C Program Files TomTom HOME TomTomHOMEService exe C WINDOWS System vssvc exe C WINDOWS System wbem wmiapsrv exe C Program Files Canon CAL CALMAIN exe C Program Files Microsoft Application Virtualization Client sftlist exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Virtualization Handler CVHSVC EXE C WINDOWS System dllhost exe C Program Files iPod bin iPodService exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files Verizon McciTrayApp exe C Program Files VERIZONDM bin sprtcmd exe C Program Files Alwil Software Avast avastUI exe C WINDOWS system LVCOMSX EXE C program files real realplayer update realsched exe C Program Files Common Files Java Java Update jusched exe C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Documents and Settings Lillian OLDTIMER Local Settings Application Data Akamai netsession win exe C Program Files Google GoogleToolbarNotifier GoogleToolbarNotifier exe C Documents and Settings Lillian OLDTIMER Local Settings Application Data Akamai netsession win exe C Program Files Creative Home Hallmark Card Studio Deluxe Planner PLNRnote exe C Program Files ZyXEL ZyXEL G- v Wireless Adapter Utility ZyXEL G- v exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox plugin-container exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox plugin-container exe C Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http www comcast net toolbar search R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http us rd yahoo com customize ie defaults sp msgr http www yahoo com R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http google com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http www yahoo com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Def... Read more

Relevancy 49.02%

how do i free up some space on my hard drive?

Relevancy 49.02%

how do i get more free space on my drive d i got this message

Problems & Suggestions
Problem Disk free space is only 9% on drive D:.

i have windows xp and also windows98se in this system i would like to compleatle get rid of 98se but i do not know how.

Relevancy 49.02%

I m running XP home on my laptop and running out of space? free-up some space Man a -gig hd just doesn t go very far anymore Anyhoo my C partition is about gb with about mb free space left I d like to think I m pretty good about keeping my drives nice and clean storing data and installing programs on the D free-up some space? partition leaving C for system files only I use the disk cleanup utility to get rid of temp files I empty the recycle bin clear IE history empty deleted items in OE etc but I m still teetering on the edge of running out of swap space I haven t had much luck in the past with third party cleanup apps but I may be willing to try again any suggestions Can I delete my windows update uninstall files windows ntuninstall if I haven t had any problems with any of the hot fixes and service packs That would free-up about mb TIA m nbsp

A:free-up some space?

Move your virtual memory to the other partition – and set it to something rational based on your RAM. The more RAM you have the less VM you need – not the other way round. XP will warn that you will lose debug capability – at least XP Pro does. No biggie IMO.

Consider reducing or eliminating your system restore space. If you have a burner you can ghost the boot drive which is a lot better than the XP restore.

My motherboard requires SP1 to give me USB2, so I just dumped the uninstall files. I don’t know why they were there at all – I thought I elected to not make them when I installed the Windows updates. It doesn’t seem to have done any harm.

Fred langa has some XP cleanup batch files you might like: www.langa.com

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/free-up-some-space.141280/
Relevancy 48.59%

Hello
i have got 2 partitions one with 800GB (D) and one with 130GB (C) and here is also where the windows is installed,now i have only got 8GB of space left on C and as i looked whats taking all the space there because i got only one game mode installed there that take 9GB of space (In "Users" folder) and i found out that my windows folder weigh is almost 80GB that crazy.
someone have good options of how to clear some space?
I am also using Ccleaner and Disk Cleanup from the properties on the partition.
between the last time i formatted my computer was before 4-5 years so i think this is the only solution but i would like to hear other options before i will do that.
Thanks for helping

A:i have no more free space on my drive

Can I ask why you put Windows on the smaller partition? And why make the partition for Windows so small? I'm not being mean, I'm just simply inquiring. What do you put on the other partition? Can you just buy another 1TB HDD to throw in there(around $40), and just unpartition the first HDD and dedicate that one to Windows and the 2nd one to storage?

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/392966-i-have-no-more-free-space-my-drive.html
Relevancy 48.59%

I use Ccleaner regularly to clean junk. Is using the option to wipe free space a good option to use occasionally?Edit: Moved topic from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

A:Wiping free space

Only if you are worried about somebody accessing the drive and trying to recover deleted files.

https://www.piriform.com/docs/ccleaner/using-ccleaner/wiping-free-disk-space

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/593085/wiping-free-space/
Relevancy 48.59%

Hi all,

This is my first post here. I was happy to hear of this forum when I did.

I have an old (2002) Toshiba Sattelite S1800-712 laptop (Windows XP 2002 Home), that has filled up almost completely. Btw, I only use the computer for Word and internet.
I am unable to install the Windows automatic updates, and unable to rearange (defragmentate?) my hard drive ( I don't have the required 15% free space on my C drive, the D drive is still good, and has free space enough.)
I already have deleted everything I can miss, music listening programs, extra dvd viewing programs, etc. What can I do to free up more space? Can I fe delete old updates for Java, and Windows?
Can I just randomly move programs to my D drive? Can I make changes to the size of both drives? (Make the D smaller and the C larger.)
Thanks in advance.
best regards,

Marc

A:How do I free up space in my old laptop?

Hi, try doing Defrags and disk clean ups. My PC was pretty slow before I did them now I have apx 50% free space on my laptop

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-do-i-free-up-space-in-my-old-laptop.701890/
Relevancy 48.59%

How can I free space on my D: drive? I have a total of 999 GB used and only 296 MB free. I have not downloaded much, but all of my space is being eaten up. What can I do? Please Help.

Relevancy 48.59%

OS 8 system shows 3.55 gb free space with 414 gb used. Is that normal?

I had a message that said I had 1.?? gb of space available so I used disk cleanup. went to use restart and it asked to update then restart. I did. It took 1/2 hour for that to finish and then looked at the properties of c and d drive and was surprised at the amount of space used in c drive.

A:OS 8 system, 3.55 gb free space with 414 gb used.

General rule is Windows needs 15% of C: to be free space in the Windows partition.

15% of a 400GB partition is 60GB, by my estimate...that's the amount of data files that need to go somewhere else.

You can use a tool like WinDirStat to see what is filling up your partitions/drives.

You can expect Windows to malperform with so little free space as you currently have.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/548112/os-8-system-355-gb-free-space-with-414-gb-used/
Relevancy 48.59%

I'm trying to shrink C: before partitioning it. It will only allow 85 GB for a new one even though 715 GB is free out of 776 GB on c. I error checked, optimized, and defragged but no change.

A:c: Free space-- WRONG!

You are trying to make the partition smaller, but the only choice you have is 85 Gig? Are you using Disk Manager to do it?

Try using Partition Wizard Home Edition, its a 2 second download and 1 second install, see if you can resize it to your liking that way.

Are you sure your drive is not somehow already compressed? If so, shut that off - Also, From within Partition Wizard you will be able to tell if your Drive Partition is Logical or Primary - If it is Logical, you will have to convert it to Primary - And you cant use partition Wizard Home current edition to change that - There is a guy who posted an earlier version that does. I'll try to find the link

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/24994-c-free-space-wrong.html
Relevancy 48.59%

ref Version 10.0.14393 Build 14393 Am not entirely sure what Microsoft is thinking but now have been through the process to update  two Win 10 32GB tabs to Windows 10 Anniversary You need over 15GB free to get past the first check but then started getting an error 80070070 "insufficient free space". This continued until I had freed up 18.2GB on disk C. No option to use external disk as with Win 10. This is not for the faint of heart as in the end I was moving whole program directories and "gigantic" files to the D drive (sdCard). However it can be done. Whether the new build is any good is yet to be seen.

http://community.acer.com/t5/Windows-10/Warning-you-need-18-2GB-of-free-space-on-C-for-10-Anniversary/td-p/449525