Windows Support Forum

Don't see my external hard drive in disk management or on computer

Q: Don't see my external hard drive in disk management or on computer

Tried just about everything but I still can't seem to get my external hard drive to show up in my disk management or computer. It say it's installed and ready to use but I don't see it.. only in the device manager and in devices and printers I can see it.. but nowhere else.. I'm working with windows 7 upgraded from windows xp but has be downgraded which was originally windows vista I think.. A friend gave me a computer and I had it upgraded.. can any one help me get my computer and external hard drive straight. Thanks.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Don't see my external hard drive in disk management or on computer

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Don't see my external hard drive in disk management or on computer

Check this thread out: http://goo.gl/rxkBN

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dont-see-my-external-hard-drive-in-disk-management-or-on-computer.203836/
Relevancy 81.84%

i bought a 250gb samsung external hard drive ,when i connected it to the usb port my computer could not detect it either in disk management and my computer ,so i decided to rebot the computer and go to the bios ,i could not also see it in the bios.funny enough my friends computer could easly be seen when connected both in the disk management and my computer

please help me .am currently running windows 7 build 7077

A:External hard drive not seen in disk management and computer

USB drives dont show in BIOS.

The USB adaptor may be USB 2 and your USB may be usb1 and as such is having trouble seeing the drive.

Or your USB sockets or drivers are faulty, try another USB device in them

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-not-seen-in-disk-management-and-computer.131241/
Relevancy 81.22%

The Seagate Momentus 5400.6 hard drive I'm using is from my old laptop it has 4 disks.
After I put it in the (IT-CEO IT-700) enclosure, and connect it to my new laptop it does not show up in 'My Cumputer' and 'Disk Management', but displays in the 'device and printer' section of control pannel.
I also can't eject the hard drive, even when I'm not doing anything to it, the (IT-CEO IT-700) enclusre's blue signal light just keeps flashing for a while then goes off for a sec, then resume flashing again.
My laptop also keeps trying to install the hard drive.

I tried reinstall the hard drive's driver, but that did not solve the problem.

Please Help.

A:External Hard drive not showing up in 'My Computer', and 'Disk Management'

Have you tried using different drive enclosure other than the IT-CEO IT-700?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-not-showing-up-in-my-computer-and-disk-management.201875/
Relevancy 81.22%

Hi,

I have a Western Digital (WD) 250gb external hard drive and run Windows XP on my Asus Eeepc laptop.

One day I pulled my external hard drive straight out of my computer (didn't use "safely remove hardware"). From now on it isnt displayed in my computer, and it doesnt appear in disk management either. When I open device manager and then open my WD SES Device, it tells me the device is working properly. I have tried updating the driver and uninstalling it, but everytime I plug it in reinstalls itself and tells me it is working fine.

I am not a computer guy. I have read other forums and none have a solution for me. Does anybody know how to access my external hard drive? (please write responses in simple language with simple steps I can follow)

Thanks
snowyman

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-not-displayed-in-my-computer-or-disk-management.191922/
Relevancy 81.22%

I've been having this problem for a few months now. I recently built my own computer, having been on a lap top for a couple of years, and found my old external hard drive. I plugged it in to the new computer, and it said something about needing to be formatted, which I promptly did due to nothing of importance being on it. I went to sleep, and woke up to see that it couldn't be formatted.

This is where my issue begins. It no longer appears in Computer, or Disk Management. Disk Management won't even load if I have the drive plugged in. There seems to be no way at all to format the drive, since Computer, and Disk Management both don't load when the drive is plugged in. Any help?

A:External Hard Drive is Not Recognized in Computer or Disk Management

I have a similar problem. I have an old external hard drive and it wont showed up or open under my computer or disk management. I tried to open it under disk management but there is no way to be found. The files F, G, H, etc are empty. I really appreciate an extra help here since I am not a computer expert. Thank you!!!!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-is-not-recognized-in-computer-or-disk-management.191966/
Relevancy 111.37%

I have had the same Toshiba external hard drive for years and have never had any problems plugging and using from any machine, mac or pc. I recently had to reformat my hard drives and re-install windows 7, and ever since I have been unable to access my external from this machine. It still works fine on my laptop, and when I plug it in to my tower, it still recognizes that "External USB 3.0" has been plugged in and downloads the drivers. However, the drive appears neither under my computer nor disk management, nor diskpart -> list volume. It does show up in my device manager as USB mass storage but uninstalling the drivers and plugging it back in does nothing. Is there anything I can try before moving all my files off and formatting the drive, and will that even help? Thanks for reading.

A:Solved: External hard drive detected but not under my computer or disk management

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-external-hard-drive-detected-but-not-under-my-computer-or-disk-management.1145526/
Relevancy 101.05%

Hey everyone,
I just purchased a new external hard drive for my laptop. I have a Sony vaio, and the hard drive I bought is a Micronet Platinum XL 500gb. I turned it on and it didn't show up in My computer so I went into the disk management and noticed it was not activated. I activated it and then still nothing.

That was obvious because the drive had not been formatted. So I clicked create new partition and started formatting it. All was fine, it was late so I went to bed, got up in the morning to see how it completed and it said that the format was NOT successful. Now it won't show up in My Computer, nor will it show up in Disk Management. Should I just create a WIN98 bootdisk and format it from DOS, or is there something else I can do?

THANKS!

A:External hard drive not showing up in Disk Management

If it won't show up, I don't see how you can format it in DOS.

Anyway, check out Device Manager and tell us more.

Other suggestions:

1. Test your drive on another pc
2. Check your bios settings

good luck

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-not-showing-up-in-disk-management.30390/
Relevancy 101.05%

My external hard drive seagate 1TB not showing in my computer and disk management. It happen after I install seagate dashboard. It showing in device manager under disk driver but I can't access this drive. I'm trying to get into BIOS while inserting the external drive but my computer stuck. When I pull out this external hard drive my computer can enter bios and boot up normally. Please help. I got very important data in my external hard drive. TQ very much

A:EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE NOT SHOWING IN DISK MANAGEMENT

I assume that if you start without the 1TB HD that everything works normally.

If this is true, when you connect the 1TB HD, do you get any indication that you have added new hardware? You should.

Is your connection to the 1TB HD via USB?

Never mind. One of your images shows that the Seagate is recognized. From that, I conclude that the USB interface is good

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-not-showing-in-disk-management.1154568/
Relevancy 101.05%

I m currently using a Samsung NP-QX and I m trying to install an external hard Showing Not External Drive Up Hard In Disk Management drive onto the laptop so that I can backup the data The hard drive is a Western Digital Scorpio GB The hard drive enclosure is a Vantec NexStar TX -Inch SATA I know it s cheap That might very well be the problem When I plugged in the hard drive into the USB ports I ve tried all of them the light on the enclosure lights up and I can hear the hard drive spinning When I look around I can t find any signs from my laptop that a hard drive has been plugged in or that anything at all has been plugged in for that matter After some digging I found out it s suppose to External Hard Drive Not Showing Up In Disk Management appear in the Disk Management page then create a partition and do a few other things External Hard Drive Not Showing Up In Disk Management with it My disk Management shows no signs of the hard drive though All it shows is Disk the basic disk and CD-ROM for DVD s To me the problem just looks like I just bought a cheap enclosure but I d rather ask to make sure there isn t an obvious step I skipped If anyone has any ideas I d really appreciate some help Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 101.05%

I have a Simple Tech Pininfarina 320 GB external hard drive that is no longer recognized by two different PCs, even under disk management. When plugged into the USB, the PCs do try to install the driver, but fails. It is recognized under Devices and Printers as Unspecified and with the information Model-Simple Drive, Category - Unknown, and Status-Software is installing for this drive. The troubleshooter searches for a driver, but does not find one. Basically I get the information that "There is a problem wiht the driver for USB Mass Storage Device. Reinstalling the driver might fix this problem." But I cannot find a driver for this hard drive.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!

A:External hard drive not recognized in Disk Management

The system is telling you that there is a problem with a USB driver, check in the Device Manager for any yellow warnings. Under Universal Serial Bus Controllers you will see a driver for USB Mass Storage Devices, right click and uninstall it then reboot, Windows should reinstall it, or go to the motherboard's manufacturer's site and download and install the latest chipset drivers..

There are two other possibilities, the hard drive has failed or the circuitry in the enclosure has develpoed a fault.

Remove the hard drive from the enclosure and (if you have access to one) hook it up to the internal connections of a dektop PC. Or, purchase a USB Hard Drive Adapter (about ?10) from a computer store or eBay and then plug it into the USB connection on any computer and see if you can then access the drive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-not-recognized-in-disk-management.173121/
Relevancy 100.62%

I have a problem regarding my external Toshiba hard disk 500 GB where it can?t be detected in my computer and also disk management. I have formatted the external HD since I was asked to format it when an error popped up.
So I formatted it and after the formatting completed, I tried to connect the hard disk to my Windows Win 7 laptop. When I connect it to the laptop, it can?t be detected and yet the hard disk is blinking with its white light like it used to when it is connected to the laptop. I tried the disk management thingy, but it can?t detect my hard disk. I tried in other laptops but the result is same
What can I do to make it better? Please help me.

A:External hard disk not detected in My Computer and in Disk Management

First off, how old is your Toshiba external HDD? Also, when it starts to spin up, do you hear any sort of clicking or whining noise?

If you hear any noises that sound off, it's possible your external HDD is failing.

When you formatted it, what file system did you use to do so? Because sometimes even if Windows can't detect it, I have had success with booting with a Ubuntu Live CD, and then connecting the external HDD in order to format it that way. It all has to do with how Windows formats HDD's and how Ubuntu and other Linux systems do.

If you can I recommend downloading Ubuntu onto a CD and boot to it on one of your computers, in the Live CD mode, so it doesn't install anything. Once its loaded, plug in the Toshiba and try to format it as NTFS (this is important, because Ubuntu doesn't use it as a native file system, so you need to make sure that NTFS is selected on the format window, not EXT4 or the other types of Linux OS File Systems)

If it doesn't work, post back here, and I will see if I can help you some more. Also feel free to PM me if you have any other issues.

Regards,
-Alex

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-disk-not-detected-in-my-computer-and-in-disk-management.185432/
Relevancy 98.9%

i had an old notebook with an overheating problem that I thought I had fixed so I transferred all my music and picture files to it then the problem recurred and the computer won t reboot So I pulled the hard drive and when external initializing error i/o in hard drive management device disk put it in an enclosure I ve used before and am working i/o device error when initializing external hard drive in disk management through trying to get it recognized by my new notebook as an external hard drive Device Manager recognizes the i/o device error when initializing external hard drive in disk management drive and indicates that it is working properly and it appears in Disk Management as well However in Disk Management it shows as Disk Unknown Not Initialized When I attempt to initialize it I get the error quot The request could not be performed because of an I O device error quot I ve tried to initialize it as MBR and GPT with no luck and I ve checked the device drivers to make sure they re up to date they are What else can I try I will try anything but if it s hopeless I need to know that too I just don t want to give up if there s a chance Thanks nbsp

A:i/o device error when initializing external hard drive in disk management

How is it powered? It is possible that the enclosure does not supply enough power for that drive. Can you connect it internally?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-o-device-error-when-initializing-external-hard-drive-in-disk-management.883422/
Relevancy 92.45%

hi i am new to drive not in computer management disk or my recogized Hard this and about to go to uni next week so i need some help and FAST i bought a gb hardrive in june and it was perfect i made a back up of my whole HP system However a friend of mine plugged my hardrive into her apple mac and i think my hardrive must have synced to her hardrive called time machine or something like that and Hard drive not recogized in my computer or disk management now i am trying to use my hardrive in Hard drive not recogized in my computer or disk management my hp laptop it wont work ive tried everything it wont show my computer i searched for help all over the net and with technicians on the phone saying to go into disk management and its not there either One techinician was sayin i might have to reformat it on the mac this cost soo much money and i cant afford to buy another one nor can i afford to lose all my data on this one please is there a genius out there that can help me nbsp

A:Hard drive not recogized in my computer or disk management

Timemachine shouldn't automatically synchronise to the hard drive, unless told to do so. Also, in order for time machine to function on that drive, it requires it to be formatted in the MacOSX native filesystem.

In case your not aware, Timemachine is Apple's backup software, designed to backup Apple systems.

If the data on the hard disk is not of any consequence (e.g. it contains no essential data), it can be formatted as NTFS, which will then be read by Windows. Unless it has been formatted as a Mac OSX partition it should be read natively anyway. In other words, it should be NTFS still.

Lets go back to basics:

1. If it's an internal hard drive, does BIOS identify the hard disk?
2. Your positive disk management doesn't identify the hard disk?

You could use a bootable partition editor like GpartED to boot from the DVD drive and inspect all your connected partitions.

You could also boot from a Linux Live distribution like Ubuntu as well, which would enable you to check your connected partitions/drives.

The fact Windows is refusing to identify that hard disk is leading me to suspect its been re-formatted as a Mac OSX filesystem and as such can't be read from Windows. If its been re-formatted your data is already lost, in which case just formatting it will resolve your problem.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-not-recogized-in-my-computer-or-disk-management.153388/
Relevancy 91.59%

Hello all I ve used this forums many times before and decided to join The information is very good here Anyway I m working on a friends computer Dell Optiplex GX with Windows XP SP who had some spyware on it I think I have Computer. ? Disk hard but Management No drive detected drives C is in in My it all removed but I have this one strange No hard drives detected in Disk Management but C drive is in My Computer. ? issue I ve not come across before I discovered it when trying to run the disk defragmenter and I kept getting an error message that said it was unable to start The C drive is present there and other USB drives that I connect as well But when I go into disk management the only thing listed are the USB drives and the CDROM drive NO C drive or any other volumes Also when I tried to run chkdsk on reboot I get a message saying that it could not check the disk for some reason flashes by too quickly Can someone shed some light on possible conditions that would cause Disk Management to not be able to see the main Volume BTW I removed some trogans and installed MS Security Essentials Computer seems to be working fine except this issue I don t have much history on the computer Hard drive is reported in Device assignments as ST AS I m currently running sfc scannow to check Windows files System File Check just finished I need an XP Pro disk to repair Windows and I don t have one Oh well Please let me know if there s a way around this

A:No hard drives detected in Disk Management but C drive is in My Computer. ?

Can you post a screenshot from Disk Managment?

Logically...any connected drive should always appear in two places...the BIOS and Disk Management.

The only possible reason that I can think where this might not happen...is if two drives are assigned the same letter by Windows, only one can be reflected.

As for C: being reflected in Windows/My Compter...any version booted into appears as the C: drive, as any person who does multiboots will tell you. The C: drive is nothing but a designation for the O/S partition/drive booted into.

As for your XP Pro situation...there is no way around the requirement for the system files for the applicable O/S installed. XP Home is not Pro and vice versa.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/418670/no-hard-drives-detected-in-disk-management-but-c-drive-is-in-my-computer/
Relevancy 88.15%

I have an external hard disk which got corrupted. When i connect the disk through USB it shows as an unknown device in the disk management with no option to format.

In My computer the device is showing as H: drive but unable to access it. It asks if i want to format or not but when i go for format it does not do it. I want to erase the disk completely as of now. What should i do??

I tried to load it from linux but there it shows as Device Error. Disk Failure is Imminent.

Can something be done or is it a hardware failure.

A:External Hard disk showing as RAW in disk management

Sounds like the drive is failing or the circuitry in the enclosure is faulty.

I would first remove the drive from the enclosure and hook it up as a slave to a desktop PC. See if you can then access it. If you can, then post back for further instructions with the version of your OS.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-disk-showing-as-raw-in-disk-management.1024550/
Relevancy 83.85%

Hey,

I got new Desktop recently, Lenovo K450e, and when I went to plug in my external HD, Seagate 500GB, it didn't show up in either My Computer or Disk Management and there are no exclamation points next to the drivers suggesting that I would need a driver update. I plugged it into other ports on my computer with no luck but when I plug it into my laptop it works fine. I have read so many different forums with no luck. My computer is a Windows 8.1 intel core I7 processer.

Thank you

A:External Hard drive not recognized in My Computer or Disk Managment but it is on my laptop

Make sure you update and apply all the Windows updates before trying to use this new computer. You can run Windows Update manually for this

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-not-recognized-in-my-computer-or-disk-managment-but-it-is-on-my-laptop.216751/
Relevancy 83.42%

I bought a brand new U12-43837 Ultra 500GB external hard drive but as soon as I hook it up to the computer, the computer recognizes the drive, installs the driver, makes the hardware insert sound, but the drive does not appear in My Computer, nor does it appear in Disk Management. A few threads on here say to do certain things with the drive in Disk Management i.e. change drive letter, but the drive doesn't even show up in Disk Management so I cannot do that. Where do I go from here?

A:brand new external drive not showing up (not even in disk management!)

Hi,
From a search this looks like just an enclosure and does not come with a hard drive inside it already = sold separately :/

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/388637-brand-new-external-drive-not-showing-up-not-even-disk-management.html
Relevancy 82.56%

Firstly please excuse me if I m in the wrong place or broken any rules Noob alert ok I currently have two tb verbatim usb external HDD one works perfectly and the other has recently started giving me BSOD for some strange reason I tried to format the drive and that is when it all started now whenever i power up the drive it crashes the pc straight away Pc will not boot with drive turned on The other tb drive works just fine Dead drive well I sent the drive to verbatim seagate barracuda under warrranty to be repaired and recieved it two days ago I plugged it in powered up and all was fine I then went into disk see disk can't drive BSOD management 3.0 USB explorer causing External -- or it in management to format the drive to NTFS and bang BSOD and drive is completely invisible and as soon as its powered on it crashes the pc I already have no hair left so any help would be greatly appreciated Oh one more thing before returning the drive to verbatim i tried it on another pc and had the same problem I have been unable to try this with the new supposedly fixed drive as yet nbsp

A:External USB 3.0 drive causing BSOD -- can't see it in disk management or explorer

This may not be a external hard drive problem at all. Your minidumps point to a CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION
Ntoskrnl.exe

What are your computers specs, including power supply and memory specs? This may be related to not enough power to the PC's components

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-usb-3-0-drive-causing-bsod-cant-see-it-in-disk-management-or-explorer.177415/
Relevancy 82.56%

Hi all HDD not Computer External Management Disk in My showing or USB I had a problem of Windows x Pro not seeing my TB Seagate USB HDD no matter what I tried it just would not show anywhere except in quot Devices and printers quot and there was nothing I could do with it there After several weeks and hours External USB HDD not showing in My Computer or Disk Management spent on the net searching for an answer I struck the resolution by chance because i like to fiddle about my operating system In case someone is still facing such a problem of external USB HDDs not being recognized and not even showing in quot My Computer quot or in quot Disk Management quot as I had here is what I did to resolve this problem Open quot Device Manager gt Universal Serial Bus Controllers quot Look for the USB quot Mass Storage Device quot and uninstall it by selecting it and hitting the quot Uninstall quot menu button at the top with the red X on it Do a quot Scan for hardware changes quot the system will find and install the appropriate drivers and you should be able to find and use your device now I hope this will be of help to someone

A:External USB HDD not showing in My Computer or Disk Management

Info save to my hard-drive, thanks! I could have used that some time ago. May need it again someday.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/384259-external-usb-hdd-not-showing-my-computer-disk-management.html
Relevancy 82.56%

Hi I have a very puzzling problem - I need to create a method that will allow users to open files namely this is a group of test prep sound files and I aim to prevent students from stealing the sound files on an external hard drive but leave them unable to copy them to their pc I am open to any method but I have only taken an introductory computer science course so far Here is what I am thinking - having the hard drive come with a program that hides a quot password file quot on the host pc which will be the key to opening each and every individual sound file In addition when this program is run it will leave data on the external hard drive whos purpose is to prevent people from creating more than one quot password file quot on different computers Finally I would need to alter a media playing program so that it accesses the password file and allows the file to be read Effect People Management External Drive Hard File can copy the mp files but because they wont have a password file on other computers they cannot steal the information there is probably something really simpel built into windows If anyone External Hard Drive File Management has any ideas please help nbsp

A:External Hard Drive File Management

You could embed them into a resource file and create a player that can play the files from the resource file or you could generate a key from the external hd unique serial number for the password. If you need any programing help i will be happy to help as i am heavily into coding in a variety of languages.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-file-management.735007/
Relevancy 81.7%

I have an external 15gb drive I'm trying to get some old files off of and I only have my laptop so I'm using an external enclosure. I can use it with other drives perfectly but I can't access the volumes from within my OS (Windows) on this drive.

A:External drive shows up in disk management but doesn't moutn a volume

Are you getting any error messages??

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-drive-shows-up-in-disk-management-but-doesnt-moutn-a-volume.762230/
Relevancy 81.7%

I have a 2,5" 500GB external hard-drive with a single partition (NTFS).
I can see it in the disk management utility (see attached screenshot) but it doesn't have a drive letter nor can't I assign one.

Attached to another PC running Windows XP it says "unknown partition" but also error-free and NTFS.

The problem could have been triggered by unplugging the harddrive without securely removing it.

A:Doesn't show external drive anymore but visible in the disk management

is it have files on that external hdd??

on Disk Mgmt, right click the offending disk.
Select Change drive letters and path.
Assign a drive letter.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/88575-doesnt-show-external-drive-anymore-but-visible-disk-management.html
Relevancy 80.41%

i bought a laptop and it had one drive C(OS) with 450 gb. i want the c - drive to be partitioned further 2 drives(D and E). will i able to do that ,if so please send me steps or screen shots...

i followed the below steps:
i partitoned using Shrink volume in Disk management and i aplit the drive as

C-350 gb
D-100 gb

But i want to one more partition, so again i tried shrink volume in C drive but it dint allow me to shrink..

Please suggest...

A:need help in Partitioning hard drive using disk management

Welcome to the Seven Forums
I would recommend using Free Partition Magic alternative. Best Free Partition Manager Freeware for Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7 32 bit & 64 bit - EaseUS Partition Master Home Edition. it is similar to using disk management.
Jerry

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/188056-need-help-partitioning-hard-drive-using-disk-management.html
Relevancy 80.41%

My machine O S is Windows XP SP with all current updates A few months ago Hard Drive Not XP Management Disk in Show WIN I had a problem with my boot Hard Drive Not Show in WIN XP Disk Management Hard Drive blue scree and error code indicated lost boot sector I installed a new Hard Drive Not Show in WIN XP Disk Management hard drive and rebuilt my system I have some files that were not backed up on the HD and would like to try to recover some of these files The HD is Samsung SP H GB IDE Drive I have put the HD in an external Drive enclosure Sabrent ECS-STU and connected it to my PC via USB When I turn on the drive enclosure Device Manger shows a SAMSUNG SP H USB Device entry under Disk Drives and a USB Mass Storage Device entry is under Universal Serial Bus Controllers The HD from the Drive enclosure does not appear in My Computer or in Windows Explorer The HD from the Drive enclosure does not appear under Disk Managment Under Disk Management I do see Hard drives Disk is a GB and Disk is GB - the GB drive is not present I suspect that my original problem with the GB HD was a damaged boot sector and partion table I am looking for ideas on how to make the drive visible to to Windows XP and also some thoughts on how to partition table and files Thanks for your help nbsp

A:Hard Drive Not Show in WIN XP Disk Management

how about putting it into slave and then you can use it to recover all files that have not been corrupted by the bad sectors. you can also get your HDD tables by formatting it when it's slave...

although its not clear why you didnt bother replacing the damaged boot file with the install disc, its only one or two files...and if your lazy like me put the install disc in and do a recovery install, it looks like a normal install but it replaces all the original files like bootloader and other things that i cant think of right now...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-not-show-in-win-xp-disk-management.798200/
Relevancy 80.41%

Previously I had installed Windows on a new SSD and also installed a new TB hard drive for file storage photos and programs The SSD crashed and I had to get another one I just installed Windows on it and then added my hard drive which still has files on it when I ran the first Storage Used Hard for Disk Management Help Drive for SSD The hard drive shows in BIOS Disk Management Help for Hard Drive Used for Storage but not in My Computer I went to Disk Management and it was listed as Foreign I read that I should choose the option Import Foreign Disk which I did I kept the same drive letter it had the first time around and which showed this time W It is now listed as Disk Dynamic Online amp Healthy Now what do I need to do to continue to use it as I did previously while keeping my data I don't want to lose my files and photos but I can always download the software again if I lose the programs

A:Disk Management Help for Hard Drive Used for Storage

Does it show up in the Windows Explorer? (It should.)

If so, you are done. (You may need to assign a drive letter to it.)

Regards,
GEWB

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/389560-disk-management-help-hard-drive-used-storage.html
Relevancy 79.55%

Hello, I've just gotten a new TB hard drive, installed it, and tried to partition it. I opened up the Windows Disk Management program and initialized the drive. Then I went to create a new partition (or whatever that process is called). I went through the wizard, selected how much storage I wanted on it (all of it) selected the letter drive it would be, and named it. Anyways, the program has decided to stop responding, and so I've been sitting here in 30 minutes of hope, but alas nothing has changed. I've already tried this, but the program stopped responding, so I had to stop it and that created a whole new slew of issues, and it took a while to start my computer up properly again. Anyways, what can I do? Should I close the partition program and download a third party one to format and partition the drive?

Thanks for any help!

A:Windows 8.1 Disk Management for a New Hard Drive Not Worki

That is rather strange. Normally disk management works quite well for that task. Was that disk initialized a MBR or GPT.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/64634-windows-8-1-disk-management-new-hard-drive-not-worki.html
Relevancy 79.55%

Hi guys, I recently bought an SSD and decided to install it on my machine, I've set it as the #1 boot option, and then I tried to format my previous hard drive so I can use it for data. Whenever I right click and do it in explorer, it says "Windows was unable to complete the format". If I do it via command prompt it makes the drive disappear from explorer til I restart again.
Not sure what to do at this point.

A:Can't format hard drive. Tried diskpart/disk management.

xChase

When your saying command prompt are you using Diskpart ?

Can you upload the disk management image please

Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/286453-cant-format-hard-drive-tried-diskpart-disk-management.html
Relevancy 79.55%

Hi. I have a 1TB Western Digital hard drive. A few days ago a friend of mine plugged in his laptop and it was working but suddenly it froze and now my desktop or laptop will pick up my hard drive. Its worked completely fine in the past. i tried checking disk management but it isn't there either. The light on my hard drive comes on when its plugged in but the computer doesn't show it. Help Please?!

A:Windows not picking up my hard drive (not even in disk management)

Do you hear the drive spinning? Any noticeable ticking sounds?

I'm assuming based on your post that this is an external drive, if you take the drive to just about any service shop, they should be able to pop it out of the enclosure and into a sled to check the possibility that the enclosure itself is having problems. If that's not the case, I'd probably label it a bad drive. Happens a lot, head to western digital's website with the number of the drive to check your warranty status.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-not-picking-up-my-hard-drive-not-even-in-disk-management.179681/
Relevancy 79.55%

What would cause a such a large chunk of the hard drive to not appear in disk management - the capacity is approximately a third of the total drive (see attached)!?

I have used TreeSize and other tools to see if there is anything out of the ordinary, such as over-sized temp folders, pagefile, etc. But nothing but a couple over 19 GB (typical usage) shows (see attached).

Any help/suggestions are appreciated!

A:160 GB hard drive shows capacity of 55 GB in Disk Management

Please see this thread in the forum: 1tb HDD only shows 523gb

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/199780-160-gb-hard-drive-shows-capacity-55-gb-disk-management.html
Relevancy 79.55%

ok recently i formated my 1TB hard drive and then went to a friends place where i could then get some program files back. It then said i had to format it again which took 4hrs to do 6% so we thought this is taking way too long.

So we canceled it, right clicked on the drive and went delete volume.

now the drive comes ONLY in devies. In computer management it only shows up as Disk 1 with a grey box next to it with no options associated with it it is literaly just an outline. includes no info about the drive.

we have tried uninstalling the drive - non successful
well to be honest thats the only real option it gives us to do now

What i wan to do is get the drive back to becing recognised in disk management so that i can allocate it again and put my files back on it

please help.

A:I deleted my hard drive in disk management now i cant allocate it

Did you try rebooting and importing foreign drive in disk management. What happens when you right click on the partition on that drive? What shows up on the list?

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/154713-i-deleted-my-hard-drive-disk-management-now-i-cant-allocate.html
Relevancy 79.55%

Hello Everyone Over the last couple days I built a new PC and installed windows Initially I had some issues installing windows so I unplugged all my drives except the SSD and DVD I installed windows to my SSD Everything works great Now I started adding my drives back in at a time When I plugged my nd SSD in it showed up in BIOS but not in Disk Management or Device Manager Disk in but shows 2nd Management BIOS hard not drive So I booted back into the install CD it showed up in the disk manager there Since this was also a blank SSD I partitioned and formated the drive from the install CD then exited the installer and booted back to my windows drive I have SSD drives working great Now to add my TB HDD Same issue it shows up in BIOS and the install disc but not in Disk Management or Device Manager This drive does not have a boot partition on it however it does have two existing data partitions They were made from 2nd hard drive shows in BIOS but not Disk Management my previous windows system and the option to delete these partitions is grayed out in the install disc menu I also have some data that I would like to keep on it I have a USB dock that I can use 2nd hard drive shows in BIOS but not Disk Management to read the contents of the disk just fine Everything is there and in working order Can anyone help me out here 2nd hard drive shows in BIOS but not Disk Management What is different about Windows that is preventing my hard drives from showing up in windows proper I am reading things about UEFI online but nothing seems to fit my exact scenario I will try and post some screen shots when I get back at it System Mobo- Asrock Fatal ty Killer z CPU- i GPU- Gigabyte OC SSDs - Kingston V GB Windows bit Thanks Everyone

A:2nd hard drive shows in BIOS but not Disk Management

Check if your sata drivers are the latest here : ASRock > Fatal1ty Z87 Killer

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/36659-2nd-hard-drive-shows-bios-but-not-disk-management.html
Relevancy 79.55%

A few days ago I had an issue with booting up I had the blue screen of death I could not boot into safe mode My pc has two hard drives the c and d I took out the c hard drive from my computer and plugged it in as a external hard drive to my laptop I ran Malwarebytes against this drive and it found a few issues I put the drive back and it still had the blue screen of death I unplugged the second drive d and try to boot and it did this time So for now I know I have a issue with my second drive and I will deal with it later Now with the system booted up I could see the c drive in windows explorer but can't redirecting hard and management drive disk see Website in I cant see it in computer management disk management All I see there is my dvd drives Also all my webpages when I search in google redirect to another site I tried to boot from my Win XP Website redirecting and can't see hard drive in disk management home edition cd to get into Recover Mode but that doesnt work since it can t find the drive I uninstalled my CA Security Suite and bought ESET NOD ESET did not find anything during the scan I downloaded Combofix exe and ran it like it mentions in some of the posts Recovery console found my Master boot record was corrupt and it fixed it It completed the scan I will post the results below As I stand right now when I look in disk management my c drive now appears which is good When I click on my links with google they are not being redirected which is also good Could the redirecting of the website have been caused by a corrupt MBR How do I know if I am good to go or if something is lurking behind the scenes I am still worried to log into my banking website and my other emails etc thinking some how I am still being monitored Is there anything else I could run to check if everything is safe I still need to find out what happened to my d drive Here is the log txt from Recovery Console ComboFix - - - JD - x Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition GMT - Running from c documents and settings JD Desktop ComboFix exe AV ESET NOD Antivirus On-access scanning disabled Updated E E D - - F - FB -D ACA F C Resident AV is active Other Deletions c documents and settings JD Application Data completescan c windows Tasks At job c windows Tasks At job c windows Tasks At job c windows Tasks At job c windows Tasks At job c windows Tasks At job c windows Tasks At job c windows Tasks At job c windows Tasks At job c windows Tasks At job c windows Tasks At job c windows Tasks At job c windows Tasks At job c windows Tasks At job c windows Tasks At job c windows Tasks At job c windows Tasks At job c windows Tasks At job c windows Tasks At job c windows Tasks At job c windows Tasks At job c windows Tasks At job c windows Tasks At job c windows Tasks At job c windows Tasks At job c windows Tasks At job c windows Tasks At job c windows Tasks At job c windows Tasks At job c windows Tasks At job c windows Tasks At job c windows Tasks At job c windows Tasks At job c windows Tasks At job c windows Tasks At job c windows Tasks At job c windows Tasks At job c windows Tasks At job c windows Tasks At job c windows Tasks At job c windows Tasks At job c windows Tasks At job c windows Tasks At job c windows Tasks At job c windows Tasks At job c windows Tasks At job c windows Tasks At job PhysicalDrive - Bootkit TDL was found and disinfected Files Created from - - to - - - - - - -------- d-----w- C R FWJFW tmp - - - - -------- d-----w- c documents and settings JD Application Data QuickScan - - - - -------- d-----w- c program files CleanUp - - - - -------- d-----w- c documents and settings JD Local Settings Application Data ESET - - - - -------- d-----w- c program files ESET - - - - -------- d-----w- c documents and settings All Users Application Data ESET - - - - -c--a-w- c windows system dllcache EXCH mailmsg dll - - - - -c--a-w- c windows system dllcache ktc sys - - - - -c--a-w- c windows system dllcache iconf dll - - - - -c--a-w- c windows system dllcache hsf inst dll - -... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/website-redirecting-and-cant-see-hard-drive-in-disk-management.963900/
Relevancy 79.55%

I purchased a GB drive about a year and a half ago to Show in Doesn't Hard Management Drive Disk hold my backups for my main GB drive Just about everytime I have to reboot my PC the GB does not show in Computer I them boot again and it shows and everything is fine I have attempted to sort this out but no luck yet Today I had to reboot and the GB did not show I have rebooted about four times but nothing I went into the Bios and did not see anything strange The shows up as it should The only unusual thing I see in the setup is that my main drive with the C and D partitions is Hard Drive Doesn't Show in Disk Management listed as drive while the GB with my backups is listed as drive I believe the reverse is the preferred but don't know if it really matters Here is my Disk Management and a prompt that says I must initialize it The two partitions on the GB are primary if that makes a difference and the prompt refers to Logical Any help is appreciated as to why the GB is not showing Thanks I just found out how to initialize the disk but it looks like I will lose my backups Not a big deal but I want this to not occur again Does it sound like a bad disk that might be causing this

A:Hard Drive Doesn't Show in Disk Management

Normally, one would expect to see the Windows drive on Sata 0, but I don't think it really matters that it's not.

Initializing the drive means it's asking for it to be partitioned and formatted, but the puzzling thing is why did it lose its partition in the first place?

Was the partition on Drive 0 a logical partition?

I'm off to do some investigating.

I'm back, you may find this of use: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc771775.aspx

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/231646-hard-drive-doesnt-show-disk-management.html
Relevancy 78.69%

Found this problem yesterday when I tried doing a clean install of Win7 due to virus-like Windows behaviour. I've had no issues previously with any HDD's. I have 2 HDD's, one internal partitioned into C and D drive, the other external as F drive (by personal choice). My system partition and recovery partition are undiscoverable in Windows' Disk Management tool, by Windows Setup, and it seems Device Manager. They are seen by Windows Explorer though. Can anyone please help with this BAFFLING situation?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/system-hard-drive-undiscoverable-in-disk-management-or-by-setup.882834/
Relevancy 78.69%

On my laptop there was originally just one HDD and I wanted all my "Media" to be in one partition and then Programme Files etc. in another (being C). This was just so that I could copy the entire 'Drive' I had created making moving videos and photos around easier.
So I used the built in disk partition manager and created some unallocated space, then called that space Drive (A) - But now that (A) drive is full and I want to add an additional 40Gb to it from the original C, but I the "Extend Volume" option is greyed out on the (A) drive even with the 40Gb as Unallocated.
I don't want to download a 3rd party software to do this as it seems so simple? I can do it for the (C) drive - why not the (A) I created?

Thanks!

A:Trouble re-resizing partitions on my hard drive using disk management.

Welcome to the forums Craiguccini. Rename your 'A:\' drive to a letter higher than C, but not same as your optical drive. Disk Management wants to extend to a drive on the right of the C:\ drive.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/250513-trouble-re-resizing-partitions-my-hard-drive-using-disk-management.html
Relevancy 78.69%

Sorry I think I posted this in the wrong place It should be here in Hardware Long in found Win7 BIOS Drive in but Management Disk Hard not story short One random day computer would not boot and I reformatted and re-installed Windows My primary SATA hard drive with Windows is working fine My secondary SATA hard drive my pictures is detected Hard Drive found in BIOS but not in Win7 Disk Management in BIOS but not in Disk Management It used to work fine I ve tried refreshing Disk Management but no quot unnamed drive quot or anything shows up I ve tried moving the missing hard drive s SATA connection on the motherboard I ve tried downloading the latest motherboard RAID drivers and BIOS version from my motherboard s manufacturer Now I m thinking about buying an external USB enclosure for the SATA hard drive to get my pictures I d be out and no longer have the drive directly connected to my motherboard which I believe is a much faster connection Would you guys have any advice Thanks a lot and happy new year Josh nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-found-in-bios-but-not-in-win7-disk-management.972619/
Relevancy 78.69%

Gentlemen, thanks for your help.

Long story short:

1) One random day, computer would not boot and I reformatted and re-installed Windows 7
2) My primary SATA hard drive with Windows 7 is working fine
3) My secondary SATA hard drive (my pictures!) is detected in BIOS but not in Disk Management. It used to work fine.
4) I've tried refreshing Disk Management, but no "unnamed drive" or anything shows up
5) I've tried moving the missing hard drive's SATA connection on the motherboard
6) I've tried downloading the latest motherboard RAID drivers and BIOS version from my motherboard's manufacturer

Now I'm thinking about buying an external USB enclosure for the SATA hard drive to get my pictures. I'd be out $20 and no longer have the drive directly connected to my motherboard, which I believe is a much faster connection.

Would you guys have any advice?

Thanks a lot and happy new year!
Josh

Relevancy 77.83%

THIS HAS BEEN SOLVED.

I used windows 7 disk management tool to make a new partition.
It didn't work and I kept receiving an invalid parameters error.
I restarted my computer to find that my hard drive was partitioned.
I extended the drive back and rebooted.
Now in windows explorer I am at a loss of about 200 gb of space.
The space is apparently missing.
I will attach two pictures.
One of the Windows explorer and the other of a tool I used called partition wizard.

and here is partition wizard

Partition clearly shows that I have all the space I originally had, but windows explorer doesnt.
How can I fix this?
Thank you for everyone's time in advance.
All help and info will be greatly appreciated.

A:Missing Hard Drive Space After Using Windows 7 Disk Management Tool

Hello xlad mate have a look see in DISKPART at the drive there - take the SD out first to stop it being listed.

In PW right click on the C: and > Explore see what there is listed too.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/277076-missing-hard-drive-space-after-using-windows-7-disk-management-tool.html
Relevancy 77.83%

Well i m getting riiiigggghhhhh at the end of my tether here I m running a Toshiba Laptop ghz mb of ram BIOS Toshiba version updated Windows XP professional SP Right so i purchased a Western Digital gb hard drive and mounted it onto an external case with USB This external case has a volt adapter with am max W The hard drive is set on Master note i have anoter USB gb seagate drive that works like a charm connected to same computer Here is the problem i connect up the gb HD to one of my ports THe computer happily runs that new USB mass storage device says hello Then everything goes to hell I opened up explorer expecting my lovely new HD 200gb management. manager, in not visible drive Device disk hard to appear Uh oh this is goign to be one of those long 200gb hard drive visible in Device manager, not disk management. days week really I opened up disk management expecting to find it there and only needing a new drive letter assigned but nope the new HD is not there just the two i already have internal and external gb Its as if my computer refuses to acknowledge it Next i go to device manager and lo and behold there is a new entry under disk drives that says quot 200gb hard drive visible in Device manager, not disk management. Disk Drive quot So here i m thinking what the heck is going on I contact Western Digital demanding nicely for an explanation We go through all the usual basics and crap ie viruses spyware and drivers All drivers are up to spec USB Xp SP and as far as i know there are no specific drivers for Western Digital hard disks only their diagnostic tools which can 200gb hard drive visible in Device manager, not disk management. t even seem to find the connected gb model Windows diagnostic seemed to find it i ran a quick test and it says Error cable error So i dutifully swapped out the cruddy cable with the cable from my other hard drive Now it disappears The reeeaalllyyy frustrating thing is that it works on a computer with freaky deaky windows on it Sooooo windows XP is too good for it or what Its a recent model gb WDC JB for crying out loud So here are the things that are reeealllyy p me off the fact it works on other computers the fact that its spinning round and round as if its was mocking me the fact that my computer can t decide whether to accept it or not So in a few days my computer is not going to be looking good as i constantly pound it into the ground So any suggestions guys nbsp

A:200gb hard drive visible in Device manager, not disk management.

take it easy, there's nothing wrong with your computer. the hard drive case needs it's own drivers or you'll have to return it and get a different (and possibly better) one.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/200gb-hard-drive-visible-in-device-manager-not-disk-management.26812/
Relevancy 77.4%

I upgrade my laptop hard drive to tb hitachi travelstar and restoring the image with drive, disk space problem unallocated hard Upgraded laptop management macrium reflect went well and prompted to reboot After rebooting it showed the hp logo then a black screen with an underscore on the top left Upgraded laptop hard drive, disk management unallocated space problem no hard drive activity Windows boot manager said quot the boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible status quot xc f quot I used the windows system repair cd and it said that it will repair the following quot windows boot manager quot The following startup will be deleted quot windows setup quot path quot system sav ndCap boot wim quot windows device partition cprimary mb Everything was okay after the repair but after a long hour night of updating programs windows updates etc I looked in disk management and there is gb unallocated space at the end and mb free space in the beginning with the c drive main partition after the mb space followed by the recovery partition I can't extend the c drive at all it's greyed out I don't know what to do now please I don't know much about these things so go easy thanks On top of that when reinstalling the hard drive one of the screws from the enclosure fell down the sink drain

A:Upgraded laptop hard drive, disk management unallocated space problem

I assume you were upgrading your hard drive?
that can happen when the your image has less hard drive space than the current

if you cannot extend your partition, you can simply create new volume, or using a partition software to try to extend.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/289762-upgraded-laptop-hard-drive-disk-management-unallocated-space-problem.html
Relevancy 77.4%

I'm trying to put an old hard drive into my PC as a slave but i can't find it in disk management. It is installed via IDE and BIOS recognises it as a hard drive but i can't find it when i login to my PC.

Any ideas?

A:Solved: hard drive recognised in BIOS but doesn't show in Disk Management

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-hard-drive-recognised-in-bios-but-doesnt-show-in-disk-management.829424/
Relevancy 76.54%

I upgrade my laptop unallocated hard problem space management drive, laptop Upgraded disk order hard drive to tb hitachi travelstar and restoring the image with macrium reflect went well and prompted to reboot After rebooting it showed the hp logo then a black screen with an underscore on the top left no hard drive activity Windows boot manager said Upgraded laptop hard drive, disk management unallocated space order problem quot the boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible status quot xc f quot I used the windows system repair cd and it said that it will repair the following quot windows boot manager quot The following startup will be deleted quot windows setup quot path quot system sav ndCap boot wim quot windows device partition cprimary mb Everything was okay after the repair but after a long hour night of updating programs windows updates etc I looked in disk management and there is gb unallocated space at the end and mb free space in the beginning with the c drive main partition after the mb space followed by the recovery partition I can't extend the c drive at all it's greyed out I don't know what to do Upgraded laptop hard drive, disk management unallocated space order problem now please I don't know much about these things so go easy thanks On top of that when reinstalling the hard drive one of the screws from the Upgraded laptop hard drive, disk management unallocated space order problem enclosure fell down the sink drain

A:Upgraded laptop hard drive, disk management unallocated space order problem

Hi first can you confirm which operating system this is as you list xp and have posted a thread in win vista and 7,I think you might need to redo your install

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/upgraded-laptop-hard-drive-disk-management-unallocated-space-order-problem-695194.html
Relevancy 76.11%

DVD CD drive is not listed on quot Computer quot nor on quot Disk Management quot Windows quot Trouble shooting quot reports quot TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L J quot is missing or corrupted With a DVD movie in the drive the drive spins up but does not auto play It just spins down and stops The drive is not listed in VLC Four days ago I uninstalled using RevoUninstaller some ancient apps I never use with a restore point before each uninstall -Feb -Feb CloneDVD exe AnyDVD exe this one was a ring in unsolicited - both by SlySoft com there is an obvious omen in there I have tried system restores one each before the unstalls and one a daily -Feb system restore Each System Restore failed On the third quot fail quot -Feb I decided to try Windows Troubleshooter targeting devices and hardware After the attempted fix I am way in over my head this is the first system Restore I have done in years CONFESSION TIME For the past months I have Computer drive Management nor not showing on DVD/CD Disk been reading up on DVD/CD drive not showing on Computer nor Disk Management virual drives imaging OEM backup recue discs etc all a bit late for todays dilema I have never made a media disc of the OEM -- could I do that onto a USB stick or USB pocket drive or must it be a CD DVD recently I made a quot Rescue Disc quot for my new unused Lenovo so I am learning How would I know if it is a hardware or a driver problem Would appreciate some help thank you -------------- SPECS Toshiba Satellite C OS Windows Home Premium -bit sp DVD/CD drive not showing on Computer nor Disk Management Build OEM UI Classic Shell Start Classic Explorer Windows Indexing disabled

A:DVD/CD drive not showing on Computer nor Disk Management

Any easy hardware check: Try booting from bootable CD/DVD. Boot from CD/DVD is handled by BIOS (and before Windows even starts running). So if it boots from media OK, it's a windows issue

To check Windows, download and run Filter Load Order Tool. Is the DVD drive listed in the display? If so, select it then hit the Clipboard button in the display. Paste the results into next post

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/392702-dvd-cd-drive-not-showing-computer-nor-disk-management.html
Relevancy 76.11%

Gday I have Hard & Paragon Hard External Disk Suite Manager Drive USB emailed Paragon and am awaiting there reply but you guys seem to know a lot more and try and solve the problem Up to this point I have used either Acronis or Paragon for my backups I prefer Paragon over Acronis mainly because the restore by Paragon is far quicker I have both bootable CD's but in this instance I would like to concentrate on Paragon I downloaded Paragon's Advanced Recovery CD Build Put it in my rom and booted looked at a black screen for minutes Removed it and rebooted it got stuck at the loading of Vista then I got another black screen no hard drive movement Rebooted again this time with the regular Paragon bootable CD It booted into the recovery console Now this is where things go from bad to worse I tried finding my OS after a lengthy period I received an error disk i o fault no operating system found Now disk is my external hard drive where my backups are kept So I rebooted with the CD in went into the recovery console and clicked on quot safe restore quot after playing the waiting game I get a message disk i o fault Took out the Paragon CD put in the Vista one tried a repair but there was no OS to repair So I installed Vista and because I didn't want to have to reinstall all of my programs again yer lazy I know but that's what backup's are for Checked with the fresh install that my two external hard drives had there drivers and were present They were both accounted for in Vista So put back in the Paragon bootable CD got to the recovery console tried a quot normal restore quot and once again got disk i o fault So I tried a quot safe restore quot same error message Back tracked to see if my OS was still there and IT HAD GONE So again I installed Vista checked with the fresh install that my two external hard drives had there drivers and were present They were both accounted for in Vista Put back in the Paragon bootable CD got to the recovery console tried a quot safe restore quot and once again got disk i o fault Back tracked to see if my OS was still there and IT HAD GONE AGAIN So yet again I installed Vista this time I tried copying over the latest backup to a partition that the Paragon recovery console could read Tried again and yup you guessed it lost the OS again this time the error message was disk i o fault Once again I installed Vista this time however I installed the Paragon software initially it wouldn't find my backups but I was like a dog with a bone and eventually got Paragon Paragon Hard Disk Manager Suite & USB External Hard Drive to locate them This time I tried a restore from the Windows environment crossed my fingers my eyes and my legs eventually Paragon said it needed to reboot to continue the operation I rebooted and the recovery looked promising but I could not sit there and watch it waiting for it to fail so I went and watched the TV for a couple of hours I came back to my PC and OMG shock horror EVERYTHING WAS BACK Now for the question I have used the recovery console before and it found my USB external hard drives why this time could it not Footnote I also tried my Acronis bootable CD it loaded then the screen went black I have since done a backup to my external just to make sure it was still viable it worked without a hitch I also did a backup on a partition that is on a different hard drive to my OS just in case I run into this problem again Whether or not it will be read is a whole different story

Relevancy 76.11%

hi there..

my name is Anis...i just bought external hard drive 500gb...but after I formatted it..it's just about 400++ gb can be used..i would like to know..how to use the extra/reserve space for my ext hard disk?by any means, i want to fully use my 500gb space for the external...please help me...thank you...

A:How to fully use the extra hard disk space for external hard drive?

It should have about 465GB, what are you seeing?

You will not have 500GB due to the conversion between binary and decimal for reporting sizes.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-fully-use-the-extra-hard-disk-space-for-external-hard-drive.887632/
Relevancy 75.68%

Seriously need help External hard disk causes hard drive failures amp OS crashes The thread is rather long Only read what you think important Skip the rest We have a serious but mysterious problem We have spent already one week but drawing a blank Two hard drives drive External failures & need causes disk crashes hard OS hard help] [Seriously have been crashed and failed unreadable One [Seriously need help] External hard disk causes hard drive failures & OS crashes computer has hung a few times unexpectedly and had one weird restart no memory dump produced I suspect all the recent problems have to do with the new USB external hard disk Buffalo MiniStation Lite HD-PE [Seriously need help] External hard disk causes hard drive failures & OS crashes U Formatting USB external hard disk Originally I would like to [Seriously need help] External hard disk causes hard drive failures & OS crashes use the program given by Buffalo to format the external drive once but we failed We simply used Windows to reformat the drive into NTFS I did not use the TurboSpeed advertised by Buffalo or run its free program Case A Multi-transfer causes system crashes The first time we met the problem We were trying to help a friend to backup data on an old drive about a few years old We plugged in the Buffalo USB portable hard drive and transferred a whole lot of files to the drive Several cop cut-and-paste operations were active at that time The whole system completely froze up It doesn t respond at all Only a hard restart could help Restarted Tranferred again Several cop cut-and-paste operations were active Hard drive crashed - the beginning of the nightmare Windows restarted Chkdsk was running Saw many lines of messages with quot File segment record XXXXX is unreadable quot quot File segment record XXXXX is unreadable quot quot File segment record XXXXX is unreadable quot Chkdsk run very long time perhaps a hour or so complaining that some couldn t be fixed some okay Initially I thought it was simply because it so happened that the hard drive failed in the middle of transfer But the same nightmare occurred when we tried to plug it into another computer Case B Open folder causes system crashes I plugged in the Buffalo USB external hard disk on a laptop computer I tried to check if transferred files were safe I have no ideas how to check but it looked okay Some files were transferred to and from the external hard drive I made sure only copy-paste operation was active this time Then computer hung for a while and displayed Blue Screen of Death I recorded the message on a piece of paper but it was lost later Restarted I believed chkdsk was automatically run and fixed some errors found not too sure about this I resumed the work I made sure only copy-paste operation was active this time The system hung this time when I double clicked on a folder to see what contents inside Another Blue Screen of Death popped up later KERNEL STACK INPAGE ERROR x xC E xC E x x C Info on this BSOF http support microsoft com default aspx scid kb en-us Q Computer restarted Chkdsk was automatically run Nightmare again quot File segment record XXXXX is unreadable quot quot File segment record XXXXX is unreadable quot quot File segment record XXXXX is unreadable quot Chkdsk attempted to fix the problem but it complained quot not sufficient space quot Then I received STOP C a Unknown Hard Error Oh my gosh What s up I don t believe it so happened AGAIN the hard drive failed when some actions were performed between the hard drive and the USB external hard disk I started to feel something went very wrong Is it virus Case C Scanning for virus causes system crashes Searching on the net didn t find any case which was similar to mine I tried again on a new computer Fresh Windows copy New hard drive less than year old Only a handful of programs were installed I downloaded Avira and did on-demand scan for my internal hard drive first No virus was found Was I safe now I plugged in... Read more

A:[Seriously need help] External hard disk causes hard drive failures & OS crashes

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/seriously-need-help-external-hard-disk-causes-hard-drive-failures-os-crashes.840539/
Relevancy 75.25%

SO basically i m doomed when i plug the damn thing in SOMETIMES windows will say that it is quot not recognized quot and SOMETIMES Windows won t say nuthin at all jsyk i ve tried times and only one time windows responded with that uplifting message i tried searching for the device in my computer not there there is no quot removable disk quot icon either i also tried going into disk management not there either oh and i ve also tried this on other computers SO therefore I assume that the thing is un-salvageable UNLESS Disk in Management Computer showing Thumb up not drive or My of course Thumb drive not showing up in Disk Management or My Computer one of you angels reveal that it is not actually a goner and that i can actually still access it and save my life in which case it would just mean i m a complete tech noob however that optimistic situation seems highly unlikely and therefore i shall return to my assumption that i am doomed seeing as life is so is there any way i can recover my data from the thumbdrive and no i can t send it back to the dealer because i never actually bought the thing it was given as a door gift at someone s birthday IKR so yeah nbsp

A:Thumb drive not showing up in Disk Management or My Computer

Hi

it sounds well stuffed, however i did a quick google on the subject

http://www.recovermyflashdrive.com/articles/how-flash-drives-fail

http://www.techimo.com/forum/storage-related/214456-flash-drive-broken-need-repair-recover.html

regards

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/thumb-drive-not-showing-up-in-disk-management-or-my-computer.172157/
Relevancy 74.82%

I have a Samsung s2 1tb external hard drive.

Today when I hooked it up to my laptop it would not load. It will shows local F drive when it usually will say samsung Drive.

A pop up box will then appear stating "you need to format drive"

I know if I reformat it I will lose all my data which I will not do.

When I look in device manager it states that the external hard drive is installed.

I attempted to go through start menu and type cmd then F: and it states "The volume does not recognize this system file. Please make sure all required system drivers are loaded and the volume is not corrupted."

PLEASE HELP I DONT WANT TO LOSE ALL MY FILES

A:Samsung s2 external hard drive not loading showing local disk F drive

With the external drive connected, Go to Disk Management (Start > type: "computer" > click on Computer Management > click on Disk Management)

Determine which disk is the external drive.
If the external drive shows here as a healthy volume, Right click on the large box to the right of the "Disk 1" / "Disk 2" lable and choose: Change Drive Letter and Path.

If there is nothing but a grey box or "Unallocated Space" next to the disk number then Right click on the disk number (the box) and choose: Change Drive Letter and Path.

Change the drive letter to anything else > OK.

If you can't do any of the above post back. If you can post a screen shot of the Disk Management window that can help.
Do not initialize the disk or format it or you will lose your data.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/209492-samsung-s2-external-hard-drive-not-loading-showing-local-disk-f-drive.html
Relevancy 74.39%

Hi My external hard-drive stopped working yesterday This is what s happening I Solved: before External the you can F: it. hard-drive:...format disk drive in use plug it in as usual then it says quot You need to format the disk in drive F before you can use it Do you want to format it quot I m thinking it s more than likely an issue of having pulled out the usb cable without clicking safely remove Yesterday I actually got it working again briefly by typing quot chkdsk F R quot into command prompt Now when I do that it doesn t work it says quot The type of the file system Solved: External hard-drive:...format the disk in drive F: before you can use it. is NTFS Unable to determine volume version and state CHKDSK aborted quot And when I double click on F drive in my computer it says quot F is not accessible The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable quot Are there any other options besides using some sort of data recovery tool I d rather not do this just because it takes a long time nbsp

A:Solved: External hard-drive:...format the disk in drive F: before you can use it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-external-hard-drive-format-the-disk-in-drive-f-before-you-can-use-it.1052654/
Relevancy 73.96%

I currently have two external hard disk drives I am having major problems with One is a SeaGate Free Agent and the other a Hitachi which seems actually to be a Western Digital internally Both of them have recently stopped working When I say stopped working I plug them into the USB port and both of them spin and light up but they continue to spin and never mount or connect properly I can see the Hitachi is making some connection when I look in syslog but I don t know what to make of it I have attached segments of the syslog where the Hitachi was plugged in and then removed However nothing to report from the syslog when the SeaGate was plugged in or removed The Hitachi was plugged in at about secs and unplugged at secs I plugged it in again at secs and unplugged it again at The SeaGate is under warranty but I am concerned about sending it in with the personal data on it I have tried using SeaTools suggested by SeaGate but it does not recognise the drive Are then any other ways I can retrieve the info of this drive or at worst ensure all Drive External help USB Hard Disk data has been removed before sending back for a Warranty Return The Hitachi is not under Warranty but the supplier has offered to External USB Hard Disk Drive help replace it Again I would like to do everything possible to retrieve the data on it or at worst ensure everything is deleted I have also tried plugging both of the drives into my girlfriend s OLD Sony Vaio but it did not recognise either of them as well We did have a problem with an SD card from a camera recently which we thought might have been virus related The problem disappeared after I reformatted the card But both drives have been in and out of both laptops along with the problematic SD card Sorry After leaving the SeaGate connected for around minutes it lit up Didn t connect or mount properly but somewhere it was recognised I have included it s syslog output in the attached file underneath the Hitachi info I am running Ubuntu Lucid -bit on a Dell XPS M Any help is greatly appreciated Many thanks Nick nbsp

Relevancy 73.53%

about an external hard disk drive. I don't know which ones are recommended. I have no specific requirements, but it has to have about 500gb - 750 gb of storage. I don't need to bring it everywhere. What brands are recommanded and which ones are NOT recommended? So it's important that it is reliable and won't easily break down. Also what other things should i consider, is there any software included that may be handy?

A:choosing an external hard disk drive

okeee. I had the same query, although I did not utilise Tech Guys, just my own gut feeling. I bought a unit from the local PC shop about 2 years ago.It is Packard Bell 150 gb.I would suggest just buy what takes your fancy.Since that time I have seen the prices drop to a reasonable level were I can now get 1 TB for 100, 500 gb for 50 750 gb 70 these are Freecom- LaCie-Buffalo-Seagate. These are available in the UK, the comapny Inuse has specials when these prices come down again.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/choosing-an-external-hard-disk-drive.766191/
Relevancy 73.53%

I ve got a WD My Book external drive which has been working fine for about a year but now the drive does not appear in Windows Explorer Sometimes the drive letter will appear but for no more than a few seconds When it does appear you can browse the folders files on the drive disk drive hard External keeps disappearing very briefly but then Windows Explorer completely closes which seems very weird as External hard disk drive keeps disappearing even if you unplug a drive that you are browsing I would expect WinExplorer to stay open and just flick back to the C drive or to Control Panel Also when the drive is plugged in you get the External hard disk drive keeps disappearing popup near the system tray saying quot this is a USB and would run faster if plugged into a USB port quot but it is plugged into a USB port - The power light on the front flashes at a constant speed rather than the sporadic flashing you normally get when the drive is active - I m running Windows XP - I ve tried plugging the drive into a different machine and same thing happens - I ve tried using a different USB cable to connect it Basically I m pretty sure the data is still on the drive but I need a way of retrieving it Can anyone help please nbsp

A:External hard disk drive keeps disappearing

had similar problem, USB connection on the drive is loose. I pried the metal connections gently back upwards and then it worked,

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-disk-drive-keeps-disappearing.896838/
Relevancy 73.53%

Hi guys!! I have an external hard disk where I used to keep all my Important data for backup. A couple of times my PC restarted and now wen I plug the same drive again it does not show. It shows USB mass storage device icon in the taskbar but even wen I go to manage it says device not ready. Is it a prblm with my Hard disk or my PC? I tried opening the case of the HDD bt it ws all gud there!! And also wen I plug it in and Hold it in my hand I think the hard disk does not rotate as it shud. Plz help.

A:External USB hard disk drive not working!!

put the drive to your ear when you connect it/turn it on and post what you hear..

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-usb-hard-disk-drive-not-working.914592/
Relevancy 73.53%

I have a Philips External Hard Disk Drive (SPD5420/SPD5430) that recently quit working. I had used it for the majority of the day then all of a sudden the little purple light turned off. I have plugged it into other drives and it still wont work. When plugged into my pc, it says "please insert disk into drive F." I've tried changing the path and that won't work either. Anyone know if i can possibly recover my files from this drive?
Thanks a bunch!

Relevancy 73.53%

Hi Running on vista I m having problems using my external hard drive When powering up it comes up with two windows suggesting I should run scan disk on the drive Both the windows pop up at on Check Hard Drive External Disk the same time one behind the other Running scan disk from either of these options fails to work properly them seem to interfer with each other When booting the PC with the external HD already turned on a going to it in My Com and using the tools there it gets about way through and seems to stall I can t seem to Check Disk on External Hard Drive run a disk scan on start up for the external drive only for the hard wired in drive Having the disk on in the back ground does seem to interfer with windows operation even without me activly accessing the disk I d rather not scrap the disk as it has a lot of music on which i don t fancy losing With a bit of mucking about I could pull these files off onto the C drive but the external drive Check Disk on External Hard Drive seems to stall when doing this making the operation less than practical Any ideas If someone would walk me through running a disk checker upon start up that would be fantablous I m running vista upgraded from XP does this make any difference nbsp

A:Check Disk on External Hard Drive

Sounds like your drive has a bad sector or two. Let scandisk run; when it stalls it means it is hitting a bad sector, so it will go a lot slower, but when it finally finishes the bad sectors will be marked on the disk eliminating the stalling problem. Once this is complete, copy all of the data off of the drive so that you have a backup in case the drive fails later on down the road. Sometimes the drive will continue to run without any further issues for a long time, but if it starts getting bad sectors soon after, then it's probably on its way out.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/check-disk-on-external-hard-drive.77374/
Relevancy 73.53%

I bought a new external hard disk box, and put my old hard disk in it. The old hard disk was formatted with a c: and d: drive, but my soft and windows only recognizes the c: drive, the other d: drive is ignored. Weird. Any suggestions?

A:External hard disk, only c: drive recognized

Even disk management ( if you're using XP ) doesn't "see" it?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-disk-only-c-drive-recognized.382465/
Relevancy 73.53%

I have a Metal Gear Box hard disk drive (about two years old) which I use with a Mac. I bumped it off the desk by accident and now when I attach it to the computer the external hard drive doesn't show up, the green light goes on but the hard drive doesn't appear on the screen. Help! What do I do?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-disk-drive-disappeared.642016/
Relevancy 73.53%

I just tried cleaning up my hard drive to conserve resources. I have a Seagate external drive to keep regular backups. Problem is that I've uninstalled several useless programs and emptied out most of the needless documents that wasted space. My HD is 111 GB. I've used almost 70 GB. Uninstalling programs didn't help much. Any suggestions?

A:External Hard Drive: Disk Cleanup

My suggestion would be to delete all your system restore points except the last one if you have regular backups on an external HDD.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/199258-external-hard-drive-disk-cleanup.html
Relevancy 73.53%

i'm using windows xp home.

ihave a WD 1 terrabyte external usb hard drive.

i 'think' it needs checking.

i do the usual tools check now thingy and tick both boxes and agree to having it done on the next reboot.
i reboot and it does bot get checked.
is there a command to make it be checked then and there?
if so what do i type in the box?

windows calls it F:

best
pete

A:Disk checking a big external USB hard drive

Look closely at all the utilities on the Western Digital website... They can be helpful in testing and diagnoses.

Is the WD 1 TB a Green, Blue, or Black... The Green is known as having reliability problems and the Blue is not far behind.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/disk-checking-a-big-external-usb-hard-drive.151021/
Relevancy 73.53%

I have a Seagate HDD of 500 GB. Recently it was on others pc and has got some viruses in it. I deleted some of them but its still in it, I'm also unable to open any folder. As I open a folder, it says "  Windows cannot find 'G:\.Trashes\b0d49151.pif' . Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.  "I have Windows 8 64-bit OS. Can I get all my data back ?Please help.....Mod Edit: Moved to Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum ~~ boopme

A:Virus in external hard disk drive

Hello and welcome to BleepingComputer! 

I am Elle and I will be helping you out with your problem. Firstly, you should know that we are working with specific tools which are used to identify the possible threats present on your system so I will analyze the results they produce. 

As a start we need to have some more up-to-date logs than the ones you have already provided. The current state of the files on your system might have changed so we need to get a clear look on that aspect. DO NOT bring any changes to the system except the ones I tell you to as that may produce more damage than helping us. 

If you will encounter a delay of over 2 days from me, please don't hesitate and private message me (link in the signature). 
Do not forget to check your topic periodically and subscribe to it so that you can receive notifications regarding my replies.

Please generate other DDS logs (download it from here if you haven't already) and post them in your next reply along with other changes that may have occured since you last posted.

Thank you very much for your patience. 

Regards,

Elle

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/503719/virus-in-external-hard-disk-drive/
Relevancy 72.67%

Hello,

My internal laptop hard drive is a Hitach HTS725050A9A360 and it recently started to get bad sectors. Given that my laptop is under warranty, I decided to ship it to Sony to have it replaced. Problem is, they don't restore data and their service centre is in the US and I am in the UK. So I decided to clone this drive through Norton Ghost 15 to my external 500Gb ST350083 0AS iOmega External USB drive (succesfully) and boot from the external drive until Sony sends a replacement drive.

It can boot, but then restarts shortly after 'Starting Windows' shows up and won't even boot into Safe Mode... so we have two identical installs of W7 on different drives and one fails to boot. Any idea how to get this fixed?

Dmitry

A:External Hard Disk Drive won't boot after Ghosting

Hello fatcatsat. Welcome to the Forum.

I have never tried to do what you are doing, but my guess is that Windows is waking up expecting to be in one place and finds itself in another. While installing an OS on an external drive is common, cloning to an external is not the same thing.

You may be able to get it to boot by repairing the MBR on the external's install.
Startup Repair
Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times
System Repair Disc - Create

Worth a shot.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/113249-external-hard-disk-drive-wont-boot-after-ghosting.html
Relevancy 72.67%

My problem is that I have a computer with 1TB internal HDD (C drive) and various programs derive links from corresponding folders in that drive.
Now I wish to run the same programs from my another computer with 500GB HDD (C drive). To accommodate the data I have to attach an ext hard disk with 500 GB to supplemnt the capacity. But the ext hard disk takes the drive letter some E or F and the links for the programs do not work. Is there any way or trick to make the OS virtually recognise or deem the the ext hard disk as part of C drive? .
-Rama Reddy Karri

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-an-external-hard-disk-be-virtually-merged-with-c-drive.191504/
Relevancy 72.67%

Hi sorry if this has been posted before but I searched so many threads and none of etc) not (my hard com, showing man, anywhere drive man, USB/External disk device them seem to apply to my exact situation they all have the usb showing somewhere My usb external hard drive isn t showing up anywhere Not in my computer disk management device manager or by doing cmb gt DISKPART gt LIST DISK The USB/External hard drive not showing anywhere (my com, device man, disk man, etc) laptop does make a sound when i plug in the drive however but the autoplay doesnt come up nor can I find it anywhere I ve also tried switching everything off tried different ports checked youtube videos followed lots of different instructions from so many threads but nothing is seeming to work The problem began when I ran a system restore this morning I then noticed the usb problem and cancelled the restore to set it back to before the restore was done but this didn t work The problem is also the same with the dvd drive On device manager both the dvd drive link and a usb link both have yellow exclamation marks next to them Please can someone help me I would be so unbelievably appreciative and grateful I have been searching for hours trying loads of different things but I just can t figure this out Thanks so much nbsp

A:USB/External hard drive not showing anywhere (my com, device man, disk man, etc)

Please do not start more than one thread for the same issue.

Closing duplicate.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/usb-external-hard-drive-not-showing-anywhere-my-com-device-man-disk-man-etc.1149955/
Relevancy 72.67%

After about a year of use this window came up on my screen with a tab in it Perform System Maintenance I decided to click on the perform tab It subsequently said that DISK VOLUME ERRORS WERE DETECTED I was advised to run CHKDSK and I did so twice over a week period CHKDSK took ages to finish its stages It then restarted Errors external on USB drive my Volume hard Disk my computer automatically When windows fully booted I ran System Maintenance program again and disk volume errors were still detected I subsequently realized that when I disconnected my USB terabyte external hard drive and then booted my computer no disk volume errors were reported when I ran the Perform System Maintenance program Suppose I copy and paste all the files I have on my external hard drive onto my C drive and then reformat my external hard drive Will this fix these disk volume errors Can you please Disk Volume Errors on my USB external hard drive tell me how to best fix these errors in my external hard drive

A:Disk Volume Errors on my USB external hard drive

I recommend scanning the hard drive using UBCD with the diagnostic tools for your brand of hard drive. It may have bad sectors. I would copy all the data off, if you could before testing just in case the drive is bad. That way, if were to die during test, you won't lose anything.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/226428-disk-volume-errors-my-usb-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 72.67%

What size External Hard Drive Disk Enclosure do I need?

My trusty old Dell Latitude d600 finally died on me - the monitor and screen needs replaced and it would be cheaper to buy a new laptop (apparently).

I want to take the HD out to retrieve my stuff - which size of portable External Hard Drive Disk Enclosure do I need? My new laptop is a Dell Inspiron 6000 and the HD looks the same as my old one.

Do I need a 2.5" enclosure (like this one);

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB2-0-2-...es_HardDriveEnclosures_RL&hash=item3a68627d72

or a 3.5" size like this?;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-5-SATA-...K_Computing_HardDrives_RL&hash=item4cf7a8f766

hope u can help! thanks in advance

A:What size External Hard Drive Disk Enclosure do I need?

Laptop drives are 2.5".

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/what-size-external-hard-drive-disk-enclosure-do-i-need.1028787/
Relevancy 72.67%

Hi i have a 100gig External Hard Drive, and i recently defrag that hard drive... When i turn it on i get a I/O disk error when i try to access the External HD... Can anyone help me? Any way i can recover my hard drive?

A:Need help : i/o disk error after defraging external hard drive

Was it unplugged from the USB port accidentally without closing out the USB connection ? ?
Depending on your OS i would remove it from the enclosure; jumper it to slave and hook it up to IDE1 to try and recover the data.

More info.
patio.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-i-o-disk-error-after-defraging-external-hard-drive.27199/
Relevancy 72.67%

My Cavalry USB external hardrive has been working fine. Now when I click on the drive to open it, the computer asks me to insert a disk in the drive.
I have Vista on the computer. I have plugged the external hard drive into another computer and it is installed, but when I try to use it, I am asked to install a disk. Hopefully there is answer.

Relevancy 72.67%

I recently upgraded to Win from Win nbsp After using the computer for a few weeks it refused to boot to WIndows nbsp I drive external Recovery disk creation hard from was able to start it and scanned it and found disc errors and opted to revert to Win nbsp In the process something got fouled and now the computer won't boot nbsp I've tried to back up the computer via the setup F but that failed multiple times nbsp So i removed the hard drive and got it to run work in an external hard drive case nbsp I've scanned it multiple times and it appears to be OK nbsp nbsp Is there a way to create recovery disks from the hard drive now that it's out Recovery disk creation from external hard drive of the laptop nbsp In other words is there Recovery disk creation from external hard drive a utility on the hard drive that allows me to Recovery disk creation from external hard drive create the one-time revocy DVD to reset it to factory specs nbsp The computer is just out of warranty so that's not an option nbsp Thanks in advance Tim

A:Recovery disk creation from external hard drive

Hi Tim, Unfortunately, the recovery media creator utility would need to run within the OS on the drive that contains the recovery partition. A couple of options you could consider are. 1.  Order a replacement set of Recovery Media from HP on the link below. http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07143?jumpid=hpr_r1002_usen_link1 2. If you don't mind staying with Windows 10 and as long as the previous installation of Windows 10 had activated Ok after the upgrade from 7, you can just create installation media on another PC and perform a clean installation as detailed in the guide on the following link.  Note: At the activation screen, select 'I don't have a Product key' - Windows will activate automatically once the installation has completed. http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/ Regards, DP-K

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Recovery-disk-creation-from-external-hard-drive/td-p/5621761
Relevancy 72.67%

I have a Dell Vostro laptop running Windows XP Home SP I use it for business ACT database Oulook Word XL web surfing and only a little personal use It is not loaded with junk and I intentionally keep it very lean clean to minimize possibility of tech headaches that could get in the way of business I backup data to a flash drive but having had & basics External Disk Drive Imaging Hard a hard drive crash several years ago know that data back-up is but a fraction of the issue The External Hard Drive & Disk Imaging basics time it takes to reload software is a pain So having read many posts here am preparing to buy an external hard drive External Hard Drive & Disk Imaging basics for back up I have also read about imaging and that I can recreate my environment via that path All that sounds excellent except I don t know how to create a boot disk what drive to buy what software to use for the imaging piece and how to keep it all VERY simple By the way I boubght this laptop in Dec and have only used GB of a GB hard drive That may go up as we bought External Hard Drive & Disk Imaging basics a new camera that has digital video and I will be using the hard drive to store those images as well Suggestions step-by-step stuff warnings etc would all be a tremendous help THANKS nbsp

A:External Hard Drive & Disk Imaging basics

I would recommend that you purchase "Acronis True Image Home 2010."
It is a very user friendly program that is pretty simple to use for someone not experienced in backup and imaging. You could create an image of your hard drive (cloning) on a regular basis (weekly etc), and use that image (ISO) to restore your hard drive back to the "original" condition in case of a disaster. You'll only need a second drive with ample space to save the image to.

It's also great for when you decide that you want to increase your disk space by purchasing a bigger hard drive.

If you need any assistance using it, I'm sure we could assist you here. Once you have made a couple of images of your hard drive, you will get the hang of it!

I have included a link to the PDF manual....best regards!

http://s4u.download.acronis.com/sl/...8TM(sEorhYygM6g/p/pdf/TrueImage10.0_ug.en.pdf

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-disk-imaging-basics.920882/
Relevancy 72.67%

Please help -

I am experiencing trouble with trying to eject my external disk drive currently.

The situation is that I go to the task bar and go to eject it properly.

All my programs are currently closed - bar Internet Explorer - as I am typing this message.

I am just wondering how you can assess what is using the external hard drive - whether it may be a back up or virus scan.

I have just been turning my computer on then off as I do not wish to loose any information.

I have been told never to just pull the USB cord out

A:Safely removing USB External Hard Disk Drive

No , you shouldn't just pull the power. (Though I have before )

Since its a Seagate external, could that be its built in back up service working? The next time this occurs , right click on the taskbar and open Task Manager. See what applications and processes,if any, are open and running.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/281233-safely-removing-usb-external-hard-disk-drive.html
Relevancy 72.67%

Hi.
My external (seagate) hard drive can be detected, but it won't show on My Computer. I tried few options however the device is still not being recognised.

It appears in my device manager. I have uninstalled it, plug my hard drive back. It gets detected, but it still won't appear in My Computer.

It also appears in disk management. It's shows as Disk 1 Unknown, Not Initialised and the right column is blank.

I downloaded the MiniTool Partition Wizard and attempted to recover my data. I completed all the steps expect the last step as I can't right click to give the drive a letter.

I have important unbacked information on this device. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks

A:External Hard Drive Not Detecting. Disk 1 Unknown.

Hello Liyah,

Your screenshots are two small to be able to read.

For now in Disk Management, see if you area able to right click on the smaller Disk 1 box in the lower pane, and click on an Online or Initialize option in the context menu. Afterwards, make sure the disk has a drive letter.

Disk - Set as Offline or Online

Hope this helps for now,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/346549-external-hard-drive-not-detecting-disk-1-unknown.html
Relevancy 72.67%

I have found the solution, it is standardly unmounted (but i made it mount with ''partition found and mount, but now im dependable on that program for the hard drive to be mounted, so how do i make it like a normal hard drive?? and how do i format it so that its like a normal hard drive)now so the pc sees only that black space, but how do i make it so that its standardly mounted again?

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/48486-disk-manager-changed-my-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 72.67%

Guys please help me to fix my hard disk WD elements 1TB

I have tried so many ways to fix it.. but I got nothing in 4 days!!

I have tried from command prompt " chkdsk /f /r "
the first time I tried it works, but something error occured, and now I can't using that method..
when I tried to using that, just show " cann't open volume for direct access"

my hard disk didn't appear on my computer list, but I can reject it.

and anyway I have tried to using minitool partition wizard, but you all can see that my hdd didn't appear with the volume.. just show up disk 2 with 0.00 GB

Anyone can help me to solving this problem ?

btw, My english isn't good enough..but I hope all of you can understand what I mean

Thanks before.!

A:External hard drive disk unknown n not initialized!

Sorry to say your WD Elements is dead and you have tried everything.There is nothing left for me to do, honestly. I would have done the same thing before declaring it dead.. No DIY data recovery is possible. The only option open to you is to entrust it to Western Digital Data Recovery partners in your region. Check with them whether there is any hope of recovering data in good shape.Telephonic consultation is free.

https://support.wdc.com/Warranty/dat...y.aspx?lang=en

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/398736-external-hard-drive-disk-unknown-n-not-initialized.html
Relevancy 72.67%

Ok... So here is my problem....model:hd2-su2
Lights were blinking for the last few days, it keeps restarting itself.... Now It is empty... and says it isn't even formated. Does this mean I have lost everything on it? If so what happened?

Relevancy 72.67%

I just recently backed up my desktop PC hard drive to a disk image on a second hdd using Macrium Reflect software However since I ve never tried restoring this data I really have no idea whether it will work should it be necessary Would it be practical to do a test Disk External Drive? Hard Image to Restoring restore to an external hdd I know these are relatively slow but it s just a test I only have about gb total including WinXP Pro SP I simply want to confirm that the restore will actually work The external hdd s ultimate use would be to simply host disk images Restoring Disk Image to External Hard Drive? Historically I ve only backed up what I considered critical data to a second hard drive I was willing to reinstall OS and programs on a new drive if it ever became necessary However since getting a notebook I was faced with the prospect of having to restore from a set of OEM recovery disks WinVista disk not included separately which would take forever as it installed tons of factory bloatware and other crappy stuff that I would end up having to remove I finally decided the time was right to back up both computers to disk images on an external hdd since this seemed a viable solution to avoiding the notebook recovery scenario The entire purpose of this drive would be to archive disk images from both computers with my desktop PC s second hdd used to backup the external drive This seems like a logical game plan but am I missing any potential pitfalls Opinions welcome nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/restoring-disk-image-to-external-hard-drive.829419/
Relevancy 72.67%

yesterday when i plug my external hard drive, it was located in the local disk part and not in the removable devices. how can i change it back to removable?

A:External hard drive is shown as local disk

What type of Hard Drive is it? Make, and Model.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/external-hard-drive-is-shown-as-local-disk-701686.html
Relevancy 71.81%

I have an external hard disk drive (Western Digital MyBook 500GB, if that matters what kind it is...) and I was wondering if I put it inside my checked baggage, well padded of course, will the air port security X-ray machines wipe / damage the data?
(I am hoping to reduce the amount of luggage I have to carry around the airport to the gate and all...)
So do you guys think my precious pictures and videos and various digital valuables will be safe?

A:Will airport security damage my external Hard Disk Drive?

X -Rays won`t affect an HD

Stupid security officers,can.

Just make sure they treat it carefully,if they want to look

in your bag.

Very strong magnetic fields can affect HDs.So avoid those,too.

(don`t take it into an MRI scanner :haha: )

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/will-airport-security-damage-my-external-hard-disk-drive.95258/
Relevancy 71.81%

Dear Forum I have enquired with a few different sources and think this is the best forum I am after some Hard properties on External Disk protection XML Write with drive - USB information as to how to change the properties of a write protected USB External Hard Disk Drive I am some what confused as to the information that I have been provided and do not know how to do it in plain English and if Write protection on USB External Hard Disk drive - with XML properties it looks Write protection on USB External Hard Disk drive - with XML properties correct to the professionals on here This was my question What back up would you suggest I also have an issue with a USB GB Removable Disk that is write protected how do I change that property I have tried connecting it to different computers and it still comes up with the same message that the external drive is write protected I do not know how to make a drive write protected I have noticed that some of the items have xml and it was used for a back up program for Memeo that came with another USB External hard drive https skydrive live com redir resi F CB I also wish to know how you could gain the zip up file If you require any further information please let me know I am only new to computers I would like to use the disk again preferably not loosing any data Melissa This is what I have received a Click start type in regedit in the search bar and hit enter b Navigate to the following registry location HKEY LOCAL MACHINE System CurrentControlSet Contro l StorageDevicePolicies c Click on StorageDevicePolicies and on the right-hand side there should be a DWORD value labelled WriteProtect If there isn't one create it Either way make sure it has a value of Double-click it to change it d Do the same with the following two locations creating any non-existent keys values along the way HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SYSTEM ControlSet Control HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SYSTEM ControlSet Control Important This section method or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry However serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly Therefore make sure that you follow these steps carefully For added protection back up the registry before you modify it Then you can restore the registry if a problem occurs For more information about how to back up and restore the registry click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base How to back up and restore the registry in Windows XP How to back up and restore the registry in Windows Any assistance would be appreciated The skydrive link has the screen shots or if you require further clarification - please let me know

A:Write protection on USB External Hard Disk drive - with XML properties

Here's the easy way:
How To Enable Write Protection Of USB Devices Under Windows -

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/287837-write-protection-usb-external-hard-disk-drive-xml-properties.html
Relevancy 71.81%

Hello I have an external hard drive from my old computer that the screen broke so I ordered a SATA adapter and it installed the hardware,shows up in my devices but nowhere else..I went to the disk management and it only shows the hard drive on the laptop I'm connecting it to.Everything says it's working properly but I can't get it to show up anywhere else to open and get the data off the external hard drive.Any help would be greatly appreciated!Thank you! (Here are some screenshots I took if it will help anyone determine the problem)

A:External SATA hard drive Disk not ready, won't initalize.

1.Check the HDD cables,if they're well connected to the device.
2.Test this HDD on another computer

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/377978-external-sata-hard-drive-disk-not-ready-wont-initalize.html
Relevancy 71.81%

Hi My laptop is a Dell Latitude D running Windows Vista I ve bought a Freecom USB Hard Drive XS drive no HDD hard letter formatting, external now Cancelled disk TB Model Code SSYBBA which came FAT preformatted I wanted to reformat to use NTFS so I Cancelled external HDD hard disk formatting, now no drive letter plugged it in to my USB port Opening Windows Explorer the drive was picked up as G and I could view files on Cancelled external HDD hard disk formatting, now no drive letter there and copy and remove files so I knew the disk was working OK I started reformatting by right-clicking on the drive letter and selecting quot Format quot from the menu and select NTFS and kept the default settings After an hour I cancelled the formatting clicked Cancel and a message popped up asking me to confirm so I did Since doing this the drive is now no longer recognised and doesn t get a drive letter assigned I ve tried rebooting reconnecting and checking in Disk Management and it just doesn t appear although is powering up when the laptop starts Also Device Manager doesn t show it Screen shot of Disk Management attached Can you tell me how do I get the drive letter back to restart reformatting Thanks in advance for your help Alex nbsp

A:Cancelled external HDD hard disk formatting, now no drive letter

What options do you have when you right click on the drive?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cancelled-external-hdd-hard-disk-formatting-now-no-drive-letter.867184/
Relevancy 71.81%

Hello. Through the power of google, I have come here to see If I can get any help recovering data. Essentially found this thread: disk 1 is unknown, not initialized, unallocated and just having really similar issues.

Issue is with my sisters External Hard drive, a WD My Passport Elite 070B.
Asked her a few questions on how she was using the drive/any issues and she explained that she had to pull the usb plug while still reading/writing because it would hang/freeze (/facepalm)

Downloaded PW Minitool Recovery and EasyRecovery Pro Trial, but haven't really run any lengthy tests yet. Just tried them out for 10 mins to see if anything would show up. Going to leave the computer on tonight and do a full scan though.

Some other things I have tried:
-Tried connecting it to other PC's/Laptops(XP/Vista/Windows 7/OSX). Same thing.
-Tried different USB cables

Any suggestions or things I should try?

A:Unaccessible External Hard Drive: Disk 1 Unknown, Not Initialized

I'm facing the same problem too....
Un-detection of my ext BUFFALO MiniStation HD-PCTU3 3.0

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/319041-unaccessible-external-hard-drive-disk-1-unknown-not-initialized.html
Relevancy 71.81%

Hi Everybody Here is the scenario I was trying to remove the pre-installed Windows I figured I should create a backup in case I ever have to go back to the piece of junk software Anyway I plugged-in my external hard drive to make the backup Here s the mess up It said formatting drive Within two seconds I cancelled the operation and removed the hard drive Now when I try to access it tried on other laptops it just shows the Hard Drive as Recovery Disk with some MB data and total GB space Disk management shows GB unallocated space It s a seagate TB backup drive There was nearly GB of data on it Do I need to use some data recovery program or is there another way I don t think an entire hard drive can be formatted in seconds Can someone please help I can t stress enough how important the data on the drive is to me Regards Stished nbsp

Relevancy 71.81%

When I plug in my WD quot My Passport quot TB hard drive Disk, Drive External opening appearing Local Hard as not I can hear that a device has been connected but when I open explorer the name's been changed to Local Disk E and I can't perform External Hard Drive appearing as Local Disk, not opening ANY operation on it like open it check properties or scan with an antivirus I can't even eject it Also the laptop slows down considerably and internet becomes too slow to open any page I tried running quot chkdsk quot and the data recovery software quot PhotoRec quot on it but it just keeps scanning for hardware and even after leaving it for hours it got nowhere I tried opening quot Disk Management quot but even that keeps loading forever A few times after the problem started it told me to format the drive to be able to use it but now even that message doesn't come and I'm not even able to format the drive though I prefer getting all my data back but it's better than spoiling the HDD The drive is physically fine as I kept it very carefully and I can hear the smooth rotation of the disk plus there are no 'clicking' sounds coming out of it

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/381367-external-hard-drive-appearing-local-disk-not-opening.html
Relevancy 71.81%

cant see or access the external hardrive (WD). It was working fine, has all my music and photos. Now I cant find drive and when I go disk management it gives me an error. the pc is 5 years old and was built for my by a computer savvy associate.

A:Novice with external hard drive/disk managment issue

Have you tried all of the ports (USB I'd guess, but you didn't specify) available? Does it work with a different computer? Do other devices connected to the same kind of port work (like printers, scanners, flash drives)?

And what exactly does the error say?

It's always good to give as many details as possible!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/novice-with-external-hard-drive-disk-managment-issue.865047/
Relevancy 71.81%

Hello.

I have an external hard drive. I did the check for errors thing from properties>tools. I checked the options "automatically fix file system errors" and "scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors". After some time I thought the scan froze up so I hit cancel and not the disk is unusable. It says "X:\ is not accessible. Access is denied." Same message if I try the error checking option again.

Please help.

A:External hard drive not working after failed disk scan

I think first you need to check for possible drive failure before trying anything else, since if does turn out to be drive failure that's end of story -- new drive required. Download the Diagnostic Software (installable Windows version) from the drive manufacturer's website. The links are here: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-not-working-after-failed-disk-scan.1026713/
Relevancy 71.81%

I have an Acer Iconia W500 that came preinstalled with Windows 7 32bit Home Premium. I made recovery discs from the tablet before installing Windows 8 on it, which runs great. What I would like to do, if possible, is to use those Windows 7 restore discs and restore them to an external hard drive and be able to boot from it and run the original Windows 7 that came preinstalled. The reason I am wanting to do this, as there were some programs, drivers, and other things that I cannot download from Acer or retrieve from the restore discs, and can only access from the OS if it is actually running. Thanks, ahead of time, for any help.

A:Help Restoring Windows 7 Recovery Disk to External Hard Drive or USB

This is why many WIn8 previewers keep the old OS in a Dual Boot so it is readily accessible by booting or via Explorer. It would have also been better to back up a Win7 backup image which could be virtually mounted in Disk Mgmt. to access any files. Recovery Disks are not that flexible and will only recover the machine to exact factory condition on the internal HD.

What drivers or other needed software is missing from the Acer Support Downloads webpage for your model. These can often be found via Google. I have never seen a problem with Acer in countless Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/239866-help-restoring-windows-7-recovery-disk-external-hard-drive-usb.html
Relevancy 71.38%

Running Windows XP service pack on AMD Sempron Biostar board Formerly we were running a -Gig external USB drive on this system for years without a problem I don t remember its drive letter ever just disappearing It may have happened but it was so rare I don t remember when it might have That drive died so we replaced it New drive is a Western Digital -Terabyte in an Eagle brand enclosure Problem is it keeps disappearing for no obvious reason Restarting the computer does no good but power cycling the enclosure makes it work again of the time on the first power-cycle try We have tried the drive on both the USB add-in card with it being the only device on that two-port card and on the native main board USB ports and the result is disappearing Computer USB My keeps hard from External disk the same We need for this thing to stay on-line as there is an automated scheduled backup that needs to run every day and sometimes twice a day Suggestions please nbsp

Relevancy 71.38%

I'm using WD Passport 1TB with 3.0 usb. When i connect it to my computer, it does not showed up at My Computer. I'd tried to assign a letter but an error poped out like this -> (see attachments)
Other things u guys might need to know, i've tried to uninstall the driver and install it back again, but it wont work. When i connect it to my computer, my external make a weird sound but not to fast, but have 2seconds interval. Then after some times making sounds like that, it became silent. The lights still working but after 2seconds interval, it goes off and lights again.
Any suggestions guys? Thank you so much for making some time to read my problem. Peace! =D

A:My external hard disk did not show up in My Computer

Hi sha37, Welcome to Seven forums.

First thing that comes to mind is to check disk. Follow this tutorial and perform a chkdsk. Disk Check

Tell us the output.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/320114-my-external-hard-disk-did-not-show-up-my-computer.html
Relevancy 71.38%

my WESTERN DIGITAL hard disk was running smoothly and i can access all datas.....
but today 1 disconnected it and there after it is not showing on "my computer"...

bt d indicator light is on and it is rotatng insise......but cant access it ....

smbdy pls help me soon.......

A:external hard disk not showing in my computer

Can you provide a screenshot of disk management please?

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/28991-external-hard-disk-not-showing-my-computer.html
Relevancy 71.38%

My computer stopped detecting the external hard disk suddenly. I tried locating the drive in disk management but it is not showing up there. Please advice. Thanks.

A:Computer can't detect external hard disk

Hi, Welcome to Sevenforums

Did you try connecting it to other available USB ports, and make sure the both side plugs are well fitted?

Kevin

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/215243-computer-cant-detect-external-hard-disk.html
Relevancy 70.95%

My 1 TB external HD was working fine in my PC until I connected it to a Mac, after that I can't see it in My Computer, I could only see it in Disk Management, I just want to know if there is anything I can do, can anyone tell me from the picture below if i lost all my files, if the HD is corrupt can I use one of those programs that recovers lost files, does anyone have any recommendation?