Windows Support Forum

Setup with 1TB harddrive and fast 250GB SSD

Q: Setup with 1TB harddrive and fast 250GB SSD

I bought a 250 GB Samsung Evo SSD 840 for my desktop (850 isn't available in Canada yet). I'm running Windows 7 but am considering upgrading to Windows 8 or Ubuntu (or dualboot/vmware). My work is technical and to keep up with the times I am considering Windows 8, though I don't have a touchscreen. I am not sure the kind of configuration to use and am open to ideas. The current hard drive I have is a slow 1TB one. I was planning on setting up the SSD as a cache.

EDIT: my motherboard is Asus p8z68-v le

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Setup with 1TB harddrive and fast 250GB SSD

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Setup with 1TB harddrive and fast 250GB SSD

I would not recommend setting up a cache at all with that large capacity SSD. Usually people cache with 64GB SSDs, but in your case, you might as well just migrate data to the SSD and use the HDD for bulk storage (large files).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/setup-with-1tb-harddrive-and-fast-250gb-ssd.204009/
Relevancy 67.51%

I running 32bit amd 3000+on an asrock k8 mb with 1gb ram, however we wanted to mount two maxtor 250gb hd. in the bios the mb id's the drives but when uploading winxp pro only 131gb is seen. Will drive mounting software or a promise card be required???

A:Solved: Mounting 250gb harddrive

Do you have an xp disk with sp1? If your xp disk is an original xp [without sp1] you will need to either slipstream sp1 to see the full size on install or install with your disk and update to sp1 or sp2. After the update, you will see the rest of the drive as unallocated in disk management. You can create another partition in the unallocated space or use a third party app like partition magic to expand your existing partition into the unallocated space.

BTW if the mb ids the drives correctly with the correct size, you should not need a controller card.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-mounting-250gb-harddrive.356516/
Relevancy 63.21%

My Dell Vostro Laptop recently quit working Its only months old I turned it on and it came to a screen saying quot Windows dould not start because the following file is missing or corrupt quot windows system config system quot You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair quot I inserted the setup disc and booted from it when I got the the Repair option it says quot Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program Setup cannot continue quot So I took the computer cannot brand Disk Windows installed. Setup new Harddrive, find even harddrive a with down to the local Windows Setup Disk cannot find Harddrive, even with a brand new harddrive installed. computer store and they put in a new GB Windows Setup Disk cannot find Harddrive, even with a brand new harddrive installed. harddrive ran the setup disk again and it displayed the same missing HDD message Anyone have any Ideas of Windows Setup Disk cannot find Harddrive, even with a brand new harddrive installed. what could be wrong Any help would be greatly appreciated

A:Windows Setup Disk cannot find Harddrive, even with a brand new harddrive installed.

Hi, and welcome to TSF. If it's still under warranty I would take it back to the suppliers.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-setup-disk-cannot-find-harddrive-even-with-a-brand-new-harddrive-installed-244370.html
Relevancy 58.05%

How fast would a 10,000 rpm harddrive be? or even a 15,000 rpm harddrive even though i probably won't get one... Im wondering exactly how much better a 10,000 rpm hdd would be compared to a 5,200 or 7,200 rpm, would it really be worth the cost in most situations?

A:How fast would a 10,000 rpm harddrive be?

10,000 rpm drives are used in servers where fast data access times are needed. I suppose if you have money to throw away you could use one. 7200 rpm drive are plenty fast enough for normal use. RAM drives are on the horizon. They are real fast

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-fast-would-a-10-000-rpm-harddrive-be.102623/
Relevancy 57.19%

Hi My harddrive has been Harddrive fast up filling filling up since yesterday GB filled in a day Can you check if theres anything wrong Thanks comwizz Hijack This log posted below Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows Vista SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode NormalRunning processes C Windows system Harddrive filling up fast taskeng exeC Windows system Dwm exeC Windows Explorer EXEC Windows System WLTRAY EXEC Program Files Harddrive filling up fast Alwil Software Avast ashDisp exeC Program Files Java jre bin jusched exeC Program Files Nero Nero InCD NBHGui exeC Program Files Nero Nero InCD InCD exeC Program Files Microsoft Office Office GrooveMonitor exeC Windows System hkcmd exeC Windows System igfxpers exeC Windows sttray exeC Program Files Windows Sidebar sidebar exeC Users Smit AppData Roaming Google Google Talk googletalk exeC Users Smit AppData Local Google Update GoogleUpdate exeC Program Files Windows Media Player wmpnscfg exeC Users Smit AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exeC Users Smit AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exeC Program Files Java jre bin jucheck exeC Users Smit AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exeC Users Smit AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exeC Users Smit AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exeC Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exeR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName R - URLSearchHook Yahoo Toolbar - EF BD -C FB- D - F- D F - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn yt dllO - Hosts localhostO - BHO Yahoo Toolbar Helper - D -C F - EFB- B - ECA - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn yt dllO - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dllO - BHO Spybot-S amp D IE Protection - - F - D - - D F - C PROGRA SPYBOT SDHelper dllO - BHO Groove GFS Browser Helper - - C - D -B F - BBC D A E - C PROGRA MICROS Office GRA E DLLO - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dllO - Toolbar Yahoo Toolbar - EF BD -C FB- D - F- D F - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn yt dllO - HKLM Run Broadcom Wireless Manager UI C Windows system WLTRAY exeO - HKLM Run avast C PROGRA ALWILS Avast ashDisp exeO - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched quot C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe quot O - HKLM Run NeroFilterCheck C Program Files Common Files Ahead Lib NeroCheck exeO - HKLM Run SecurDisc C Program Files Nero Nero InCD NBHGui exeO - HKLM Run InCD C Program Files Nero Nero InCD InCD exeO - HKLM Run Windows Defender ProgramFiles Windows Defender MSASCui exe -hideO - HKLM Run GrooveMonitor quot C Program Files Microsoft Office Office GrooveMonitor exe quot O - HKLM Run googletalk C Program Files Google Google Talk googletalk exe autostartO - HKLM Run IgfxTray C Windows system igfxtray exeO - HKLM Run HotKeysCmds C Windows system hkcmd exeO - HKLM Run Persistence C Windows system igfxpers exeO - HKLM Run SigmatelSysTrayApp sttray exeO - HKCU Run Sidebar C Program Files Windows Sidebar sidebar exe autoRunO - HKCU Run googletalk C Users Smit AppData Roaming Google Google Talk googletalk exe autostartO - HKCU Run Google Update quot C Users Smit AppData Local Google Update GoogleUpdate exe quot cO - HKCU Run WMPNSCFG C Program Files Windows Media Player WMPNSCFG exeO - HKUS S- - - Run Sidebar ProgramFiles Windows Sidebar Sidebar exe detectMem User 'LOCAL SERVICE'... Read more

A:Harddrive filling up fast

Bump , still filling up please help

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/198301/harddrive-filling-up-fast/
Relevancy 56.76%

I made a RAMDISK

A:SUPER FAST HardDrive/RAMDISK

It's a nice game but there is not really much you can do with it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/317384-super-fast-harddrive-ramdisk.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Still having problems getting my computer to boot up right. figure I'd give this one last shot before I took it to the professionals to get checked out.

The last and probably obvious thing I could think of is that I've got the jumpers on the drive somehow messed up. So let's put the new digital camera to good use...

tell me what you think...

Relevancy 53.32%

Hello everyone!
while I was installing windows 8 pro 64x I had this little problem
(Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks)
any suggestions??

A:an error while setup , please need help fast.

Welcome to EightForums.

Clean the HD Drive, using Step one in this tutorial:
SSD / HDD : Optimize for Windows Reinstallation - Windows 7 Forums
Than type> convent gpt
& than Reboot PC to install.

How to install with a uEFI BIOS:
UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) - Install Windows 8 with

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/14902-error-while-setup-please-need-help-fast.html
Relevancy 52.89%

hi - after reading for a couple hours i m still not able to find my answer i have a G drive w partitions that no longer boots C is winXpSp the others are for data and temp files during post it takes a minute or long time to find the HD and finds it correctly during post or in BIOS and eventually complains its not a system disk running XP setup from CD to try to do a repair results in quot no installed drives found quot when placed in another system as a slave its found as quickly as the master HD is when its alone and seems to function normally - chkdsk amp surface scan find no errors amp kaspersky finds no MBR or other problems i even used TestDisk to rewrite the partition table and MBR to no avail i m able to copy off all my files but would like to know if there are other things i can try is there a way to XP setup repair hardDrive setup cant find XP replace boot files on a drive other than C or can i use anything from a working system to fix the slave drive can i ghost the partition and put it on a new HD and run repair there or will the boot problems be copied with the image is this problem a prelude to complete disk failure or can i use this if not fixable for XP setup cant find hardDrive data storage since this drive will post normal quick when its a slave does someone know what XP setup cant find hardDrive s missing messed up to cause the long post when master and anything to do about it as a test i put an year old ghost image on another drive and put it in the box as master and the box worked normally so this HD seems the only problem i dont remember when i last did a full image backup on this hopefully i ll find one newer than years thanks for your help nbsp

Relevancy 52.46%

Can anyone tell me how to safely setup a Fast Boot for WindowsXP Home
Edition, also is there any chance of corrupting files while doing the Bootup
in this manner?
Thanks
Rickman45

A:How to setup a Fast Boot Safely in XP

fast boot? Do you mean turning off self-test in BIOS? That has nothing to do with XP. Other than that - see the speed up your PC guide in the guides forum.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-setup-a-fast-boot-safely-in-xp.76508/
Relevancy 52.46%

Removing and replacing harddrive (HD). When I boot off XP CD the machine appears to complete the format however at or near the end it says setup failed ( e.g. "setup failed you may have a damage HD, loose connections, etc) . This is the second SATA HD from Western digital (#WD5001AALS) and I replaced the Power Supply Unit (PSU) because the computer activity light was not lit and/or very dim. The Format process has improved with the new 400w vice 350w PSU (before it would not start the percentage format screen). The BIOS looks O'K and I accepted the defaults. I'm out of ideas and dont want to think about a new ASUS MB. I'm thinking the orginal seagate HD is still good

Relevancy 52.46%

Hi I have a Dell running XP SP P Ghz system It has a Western Digital Cavier WDC WD JB GB Harddrive The specs on this Solved: Dual Setup HardDrive Help drive say it is an EIDE and runs RPM I would like to install my Maxtor DiamondMax Plus GB RPM ATA Harddrive as a slave drive for more room of course I pulled this drive out of a computer that was having major virus issues and I know it still has this garbage on this harddrive My thinking was to run DBAN HD Nuke on the Solved: Dual HardDrive Setup Help Maxtor and completely wipe it clean I have HD Nuke as an ISO on a CD Rom What Solved: Dual HardDrive Setup Help would be the easiest way to do Solved: Dual HardDrive Setup Help the following Keep in mind I have never setup a dual HD system before so more details helps Wipe the Maxtor Clean using the current system without risking the current system with viruses that are currently on the Maxtor Install it as a slave separate drive letters non-raid Do I need to format the Maxtor so that it can be seen in windows IE NTFS system or whatever The current Western Digital drive will continue to run the operating system on this computer Any other information that is needed please ask and I will post more details Any help here is greatly appreciated Thank you nbsp

Relevancy 52.46%

Hello all....this is my 1st post but I always get good info just by browsing the boards!

I am trying to use my Windows XP Prof. CD to reformat and reinstall windows on my computer. I put the CD in, reboot my computer, and choose the option to boot from CD-ROM 1st. So far this works fine. I enter the windows setup where it loads all the normal setup stuff. Then it gives me the options of installing windows and tells me to hit ENTER.

PROBLEM is, when I do this, it tells me setup cannot find a hard drive on my computer and it would reboot in 15 seconds. I dont understand whats going on since there obviously is a hard drive!!

Can anyone offer help or suggestions?

A:Help! Trying to reinstall XP and setup cant find harddrive?

Some suggestions!
Go into the BIOS see if it is set to auto to aquire the drives, make sure the system is recognizing the HD. If not check all your connections, I once flipped the cable on an IDE that caused what you have. SATA plug in differently doing away with that. If you do have IDE and have the HD & CD on the same cable it may be seeing the CD as master. Check jumpers on both drives, most of the it is something simple that is over looked that drive you crazy.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/231792/help-trying-to-reinstall-xp-and-setup-cant-find-harddrive/
Relevancy 50.74%

What would be the best raid setup for writing huge streams of data to coming from high specs cameras ect?
Cost is not a problem here, so can anyone recommend a motherboard or card to use and what version of raid would be best?

I'm not to worried about redundancy but it could be nice, important thing is being able to write nearly 300mb/s of data.

i know i have asked alot of questions about raid recently but they are all for separate prohjects btw!

Many thanks

Spud

Relevancy 48.16%

Hi, I want to buy a new hard drive for my desktop PC, and I was wondering if the western digital black 250GB hard drive or western digital enterprise 250GB hard drive would work better for such a PC. Both of the HDDs I mentioned are SATA, in case you're wondering.

A:Solved: western digital black 250GB vs. western digital enterprise 250GB

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-western-digital-black-250gb-vs-western-digital-enterprise-250gb.1094596/
Relevancy 46.44%

Really need some help here going crazy We have a Sagemcom FAST modem router from windstream our ISP and have been trying to get F7D1301 a Modem/router Belkin Sagemcom with Setup Fast router 1704 a servers going for Minecraft game with no luck So we thought that we could attach our Belkin router to the modem since we were Setup a Belkin F7D1301 router with a Sagemcom Fast 1704 Modem/router having port forwarding problems I have tried numerous times to set up the router with this modem and have even tried the bridge mode but then I don t get internet access through the Belkin router have no idea what I am doing wrong I am running Windows XP and my brother who I want on the same network is running Windows Vista which I really hate I had my XP connected but could not get the Vista connected then I completely messed it up and just am at my wits end can someone please walk me through this Let me know any info you need and how to send it to you Thanks a lot Deb nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/setup-a-belkin-f7d1301-router-with-a-sagemcom-fast-1704-modem-router.1089945/
Relevancy 46.01%

I just tried to reformat and install windows XP home edition and upon coming to the screen of quot Repair quot or quot Install fresh copy quot I received an error reporting Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program Setup cannot continue harddrive" XP error: installation "Setup Win cannot home find To quit setup press F I have no idea why it would be saying this I m using the same computer now seconds later than when I was trying to install windows Currently I m using Windows Professional x this is the reason I want home I hate not having any drivers for webcams printers and the like Asus A V-Deluxe motherboard and the harddrive in question is a Western Digital gb rpm mb buffer SATA drive Any help would be greatly appreciated nbsp

A:Win XP home installation error: "Setup cannot find harddrive"

A friend of mine is also running a 64bit system, we tried to install xp pro on it and it was extremely unstable. It now has xp64 on it and it runs fine. As for the drivers u mentioned, its just a matter of time. The industry will hopefully catch up soon.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/win-xp-home-installation-error-setup-cannot-find-harddrive.34185/
Relevancy 42.14%

Howdy Looking for guidance on optimal settings for new Dell system before I fire it up specs in my profile This is my first Win system and my first desktop quot production box quot PC with dual drives SSD OS spinner data and UEFI I have read the many fabulous tutorials on quot fast start quot quot fast boot quot quot secureboot quot quot hibernation quot quot Advanced Boot Options quot quot power quot and quot UEFI firmware quot But I am a nearly-silver-surfer and an Start/Fast OEM Win10/64 for SSD? Boot/Hibernation Fast Pro Settings auto-didact when it comes to computers So Fast Start/Fast Boot/Hibernation Settings for OEM Win10/64 Pro SSD? I still have questions based on the new hardware and OS compared to Win with HDD And I'm not sure of the default settings for Fast Start/Fast Boot/Hibernation Settings for OEM Win10/64 Pro SSD? some of these under Win so I don't know what needs to be tweaked My main priorities are system stability and prolonging the life of the SSD rather than quot performance quot e g ultra-fast boot A few seconds longer to boot from a cold start is fine as long as that does not cause excessive SSD wear I do not game Skype or even stream videos -- mostly quot productivity apps quot Office Acrobat Photoshop Snagit work streaming radio internet email My current Win desktop power settings are display screen saver after min off after min and hard drive sleep never I have seen it mentioned that some rd-party AVs need a full cold quot shutdown quot rather than quot fast start quot in order to fully set some of their patches updates features But I do not find much any documentation for this So my questions boil down to Hibernate Disable entirely or enable with default settings or enable with reduced size to save space on SSD Fast Start Enable or Enable with Reduced Size or Disable Yes I know that hibernation needs to be enabled to use Fast Start Fast Boot Yes or No quot Secureboot quot Enable or Disable Power settings what's best to prolong SSD life and provide maximum system stability IOW avoiding wake-from-sleep issues This is only the first of what I know will be many questions as I try to beat Windows into submission And I sincerely thank you in advance for your wisdom Cheers MM

A:Fast Start/Fast Boot/Hibernation Settings for OEM Win10/64 Pro SSD?

My system is set up "Let Windows Take Care of Windows".
Meaning I installed Windows 10 letting the installer take care of everything.

Install the OS and any drivers then run winsat formal in an admin command prompt, reboot, and Windows will set the system up for your SSD and any HDDs you have.

I do recommend keeping Fast Start, in settings app, turned off, , as I have had problems with some tiles such as Mail & Calendar refreshing/updating, and FilePendingRename need a restart or complete shutdown & boot to make any changes to system files. The SSD will boot fast enough.

In Bios keep Secure & Fast boot on.

Do not worry about writes, the newer SSDs will probably outlast your MOBO these days
Only obvious thing(and I know you already do this MM) back up all data,
because when a SSD goes to hell, the data is totally unrecoverable, as opposed to a HDD, where if you're lucky, some might be saved.

All tweaks are totally unnecessary, as Windows 8-10 makes system settings for EACH disk independent of the other, for example Prefetch is automatically turned off for SSDs, but on for the HDDs in a mixed build.

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/53481-fast-start-fast-boot-hibernation-settings-oem-win10-64-pro-ssd.html
Relevancy 42.14%

I have this WD My Passport external portable harddrive which I have used for a couple of years. I was writing something to the drive one day when the USB connection seems to be somewhat loose and the drive disconnected momentarily and reconnected itself but the file I was trying to write ended prematurely...

Now when I try to use the Seagate Harddrive test tool for windows and do a Short Generic test and the result failed.. I am fear it might have been caused by the disconnection and might eventually corrupt the entire drive... I try to run chkdsk but there aren't any errors detected it seems and files seems to be accessible as normal... Is there a way to fix the harddrive without losing data in the drive or confirm the drive is indeed failing?

A:Seagate Harddrive test tool fail but harddrive data seems intact

Run the most thorough and extensive test available with the WD hard drive utilities.

If it fails the thorough test, you may have a warranty claim.

Or the Seagate tool. Whatever you have. Your title is confusing.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/232251-seagate-harddrive-test-tool-fail-but-harddrive-data-seems-intact.html
Relevancy 41.71%

Hi,

I recently had a very strong magnet. The magnet was then stuck (By a child) to my laptop. I then had errors on boot. I tried reinstalling Vista with the restore disk, but I recieved "Error - Cannot set temp path".

I today purchased a 250gb harddrive (a upgrade from my 120gb), and then Vista installed fine.

Now it runs fine, but I get bluescreens after random amounts of time, with errors involving a windows file. Unfortunately, I don't have the bluescreen error details at the moment. I have however uploaded the 3 minidumps from the 3 occasions.

Is it possible that another part of the computer was damaged by the magnet? Ram?

Thank's,

Tom

Minidump: http://rapidshare.com/files/196073665/minidump.rar

A:Magnet damaged my harddrive. Replace harddrive but now bluescreens? (with minidump)

hi have you tried running your av and malware progs to eliminate this as a possible

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/magnet-damaged-my-harddrive-replace-harddrive-but-now-bluescreens-with-minidump-344612.html
Relevancy 41.71%

I presently have a 40GB....5200RPM...2MBcashe..HARD DRIVE

Will i see much improvement upgrading to a: 60GB.7200rpm..8MBcashe Hard Drive?

I can do it for about $40 ( Or should i wait,i expect to get a 200HD by the end of the year...)

Relevancy 41.71%

the windows logo comes, the circle starts.

it boots fast; the next time very slow (circle goes on and on, until it starts); the next time fast; the next time very slow..... ???

this is a fresh install of windows 10 pro on a good empty hard drive.

http://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/52109-startup-speeds-alternating-fast-very-slow-fast.html
Relevancy 41.28%

do to sever problems i was having with my pc i decided to do a fdisk and reformat...... i thought i was doing a smart thing by using my slave drive to backup the things i didnt want to lose .... after backing it all up to the slave drive i erased my harddrive and installed a new operating system... was win98 and now is winxp............ everything is going great now except all them programs and files i backed i can no longer access.... if anyone has a solution to this it would be greatly appreciated...

Relevancy 41.28%

I have pretty old secondary hard drive (11 years) and currently in power settings there is an option to put hard drive in sleep mode if it's been idle for X minutes. Is it a good idea to disable this setting and let the harddrive spin all the time, since as I know, frequently enabling/disabling hard drives makes more damage than never putting harddrive to sleep.

A:Harddrive health with harddrive auto-stop in idle

Is the drive going to sleep now ?

You should consider buying a new drive to replace that one, then copy your data over before it dies

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/369359-harddrive-health-harddrive-auto-stop-idle.html
Relevancy 40.85%

Gabe said in the 11082 release announcement that starting January, Fast ring insiders would get builds "Faster".

But how fast?
A new build every 15 days or so?

A:Faster Fast Ring Builds - But How Fast?

Originally Posted by WinInsiderBeta

Gabe said in the 11082 release announcement that starting January, Fast ring insiders would get builds "Faster".

But how fast?
A new build every 15 days or so?

Only Shadow knows !!!

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-insider/34381-faster-fast-ring-builds-but-how-fast.html
Relevancy 40.85%

I am currently backing up weekly to a small external drive.. it is a small 20gigger. It has taken about 1 year or so to fill up. Now i am thinking long term.. i am considering purchasing a "network harddrive", one that is between 500gigz to 1tb. There is a smaller/more affordable Seagate external drive.. but it is not a "network harddrive".. it has 1.5tb.. versus a network drive that is about 2tb but it cost about 314.

My question is, thinking long term.. and considering the setup i have.. which is a regular PC acting as a server.. what should i get?

Your suggestions are appreciated

Thank you

Relevancy 40.85%

Hello,
I'm planning on doing a complete harddrive back up with a another internal harddrive. Will I need any special software to do this?
Also, since I'm backing up my entire harddrive which contains my operating system windows vista premium will this conflict with any license agreement?

Relevancy 40.85%

Hi guys, I want to connect my ps3 hard drive on pc to use it on pc, so when I get my new computer I can use it with it straight away, but right now I want to use it on my current pc, I plugged in both the one cable and the other one (sata), that goes from power supply cable to the HDD.

when I booted the pc it said installing device drive software, and said, device is ready to use, I go to my computer, and it ain't there, do I have to set it as secondary in bios?

Win7 Ultimate final rev

It's automatically set as fourth IDE master. restarted pc and still doesn't show up, I heard I need to format, is that true? like that to know if I should re-gain windows 7 disk

Oh and t's actually 320gb

A:250gb hdd ps3 on pc?

Open up Disk Management (in the admin tools control panel), it should show up in there. I'd delete all the partitions and create 1 new one that incorporates the whole disk. Then format as NTFS.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/250gb-hdd-ps3-on-pc.201249/
Relevancy 40.85%

Hi all first post and yep theres a problem.... first the specs
MSI 915P Neo2 Platinum board
64bit amd chip
2gb crucial ram 3500
MSI FX5900SP VTD256 ddr
100gb ide
deskstar 250gb ide
deskstar 250gb ide
3 yamaha scsi dvd writers

quite a simple problem you would think....i need both of the 250gig drives to be unpartitioned ( os on one drive). so its down to the 137gb problem. all of the solutions i have read so far is based on the sp1 and sp 2 route .I.e format the drive at 137gig then install windows xp pro and, then update with the pro pack and the drive should be showing at 250gb , im not having too much luck with this approach has anyone any other ideas ?

Relevancy 39.99%

hello i have formatted my new Portable HD after 4months but its showing used space 97mb can anyone pls tell me is that normal or is there sum problem ? i mean it should show used space 0 bytes ?

A:WD Portable 250GB HD

Is the file NTFS or other i.e. FAT32?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/157842-wd-portable-250gb-hd.html
Relevancy 39.99%

Hi,

I'm sure this is simple, but I can't figure it out and searching google hasn't found me any answers. I am building a new system. It all works fine. But I have a WD 250GB hard drive I"m using. When I boot from WinXP Pro CD, and go to format the drive and install the OS, it only tells me I can format 130GB of space. Nowhere to be found is the rest of my drive...

Any thoughts as to what I"m doing wrong here?

Thanks!
Kimberly

A:XP won't format whole 250GB HD

Hi, if the version of Windows on the install CD pre-dates Service Pack 2, you will get this problem.

Microsoft added the ability for Windows to see hard drives bigger than 137 GB in Service Pack 1 (and Service Pack 2).

If you have access to another PC, download Service Pack 2 (which includes Service Pack 1 btw), and integrate it into your install source and burn a new CD from which you can install. You can find good instructions for doing that here:

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp

You can download Service Pack 2 (full 266 MB package) from here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...BE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

As a workaround, you can create a partition less than 137 GB, install Windows, and then install Service Pack 2 and you will be able to access the rest of the hard drive. Then you can partition the rest from the Computer Management interface (right-click "My Computer" > Manage...)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-wont-format-whole-250gb-hd.487271/
Relevancy 39.99%

Hello I just ran or 60GB SSD HDD 250GB? out of room on my GB HDD Its a RPM and I like the speed of it I started looking for a new HDD when I came across an GB SSD I never thought of buying an SSD before Now I can't decide if I should get the SSD or the HDD same price I need a new drive for linux but my current drive only has GB left I was going to partition GB to linux and SSD 60GB or HDD 250GB? keep for Windows Then transfer my OS to the remaining GB that would free some room I am a gamer so I need alot of room for games If I get the GB HDD then I would have alot of room for more games and linux But then I would not be able to boot Windows in seconds What should I get My specs Intel core i K stock speed MSI - H M-P G GB of Vengeance DDR RAM CAS GTX Ti GB Overclocked GB Western Digital Caviar Blue HDD W PSU

A:SSD 60GB or HDD 250GB?

Go with an SSD. If you choose the 60GB SSD, you will have just enough space for the OS and a Office Suite and a few other apps before you start to run out of space. If you can afford it, go with a minimum of 128GB SSD as your primary drive, then wipe your 500GB mechanical drive and use as a storage drive.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/241528-ssd-60gb-hdd-250gb.html
Relevancy 39.99%

I have two 250GB hard drive in my pc and I'm trying to install Windows XP Pro SP2. It's running on an Abit motherboard with Athlon 64 dual core 4400+ CPU. I got the computer from a friend and decided to do a clean install so I deleted the previous partions and made a new one. It went through the whole formatting process fine then went through the windows setup. It then did an automatic reboot but right after POST it gave me an error message. It said Trap followed by 0000005c ==============EXCEPTION=========================== and a series of hexdecimal messages afterworsd. I've done this twice and had the same problem and I just wanted to know if you guys knew anything about this?

A:Installing Win XP Pro SP2 on two 250GB HDD

Greetings gfx dude, Welcome to TSF!

Firstly, you only need to install the Operating System one ONE of the HDD's not both of them.
The second HDD can be connected as a "Slave" and can be used to 'save' everything that you download, plus emails and other data, such as music etc.
I suggest that you check the CD for scratches and marks; wipe it very gently from the centre to the edges with a lint free cloth.
To give you the best chance of getting Windows? installed without hassles, such as those you are experiencing, is to completely wipe the HDD with Darik's Boot N Nuke.
Wiping the HDD this way will completely erase everything off the HDD and take it back to a RAW unformatted state, as if it had just come out of the factory.

Just so that you do not forget anything when doing the installation, please read this...

The Windows? XP Installation Check List.

1. The Windows? XP SP2-CD (naturally)

2. Darik's Boot N Nuke (Click the coloured Link).

3. Please read this guide.

4. The Motherboard CD that contains all the necessary Drivers etc.

A couple of tips...
a. Darik's Boot N Nuke will take about 4? hours to completely wipe the Drive; however, this will vary depending on how big the Drive is. (That estimate is for a 80Gb HDD).

b. When you get to Figure 7 in 'The Guide', you can create more than one partition here by simply telling Windows? how big you want it. Should you do decide to create an extra partition, it will not be active until you do so after the installation is over and done with...we can give you guidance as to how this is done, so partition away if you wish.

c. Once the installation is finished, with all the Motherboard Drivers installed, and Internet connected, I strongly recommend that you install a reputable Anti Virus program first; then, go to the Windows Update Site and download all the updates (including SP3).
AVG? is has a very good free version available here.

d. DO NOT have any unnecessary items; such as, USB cameras, Printers etc., attached to the machine...install all these after the installation is finished, and fully updated from Microsoft?.

If you are uncertain about anything here, do not hesitate to ask for assistance.

Good Luck with this task, and when you have finished, please post back with the results.

Kind Regards,

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/installing-win-xp-pro-sp2-on-two-250gb-hdd-253959.html
Relevancy 39.99%

I just bought a new deskstar Gb Hdd which I am trying to install in my Compaq Pressario S UK I know its got to be set to slave but I wasnt sure if I should set it up as a head a head byte clip or auto spin dissable and all of those choises are available Deskstar 250Gb Hdd on the drive I went for heads and booted up In quot my computer quot the new drive Deskstar 250Gb Hdd does not appear I still see all my original drives there yet in System Hardware device manager it shows up under drives and on clicking its properties it says this device Deskstar 250Gb Hdd is working properly Without seeing it in the quot my computer folder quot I cant really format or partition it so I then tried partition magic That saw it fine and reported its size correctly I told it to create an ntfs partition and use all the drive It changed color as it should and all that was left was to click on make changes now but when I did that it went straight back to tell me the new drive had no partitions created I tried various combinations of primary or logical drive small or large partitions and fat or ntfs but always it refuses the last step of actually creating the partition What am I doing wrong Regards Don nbsp

A:Deskstar 250Gb Hdd

First I will assume your drive is showing up as the full size in the bios and is corrrectly identified.

If you are using either xp or win2k. Go to disk management; start>run type in diskmgmt.msc and hit enter. See if your drive shows up there; it should be listed as disk1, disk0 will be the master drive. If it shows up there, you need to partition and format the drive. Right click on the drive and choose to create a partition; I like extended partitions for data / storage drives. After you create the partition, right click again and choose to create logical drive. You can make the entire drive one partition or organize it into say 3 logical drives; whatever you want. After you create the logical drive you will need to format them. Again right click on the logical drive and choose format. Use ntfs for your drive. In fact if you use partitions greater than 32 gig, fat32 is not even an option.

Just think about how you want it organized before you start.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/deskstar-250gb-hdd.244026/
Relevancy 39.99%

Hi I just bought a maxtor DiamondMax seen 250Gb !! problem... is as Hdd 2TB GB HDD and i bought an external case so i can use it on my laptop toshiba A- I have used a GB external Drive on the same laptop before I have also used GB external drive before on the same laptop all of my previous hdd were western digital The problem is I wanted to format partition the hdd but the computer said problem... 250Gb Hdd is seen as 2TB !! that the capacity unformatted is around TB i tried to format it as one partition it wont problem... 250Gb Hdd is seen as 2TB !! do it I tried to minimize the capacity to an acceptable close to real level set it to Gb but it wont do it I tried to format it using FAT and it worked but to a maximum of Gb it is ok but the problem is that i can only use GB after that the harddrive gives an error write-protected - have anyone used Maxtor drives before as externals - Have any one came across this problem before - Will it work in a normal PC or not just to format it because getting a pc in here is quite difficult Thanks in advance NOTE I used the windows XP disk managment tool and i used also Partition Magic all with the same results nbsp

A:problem... 250Gb Hdd is seen as 2TB !!

What external are you putting the drive in?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problem-250gb-hdd-is-seen-as-2tb.399059/
Relevancy 39.99%

hi ,everybody i have a dell d600 laptop with a 40 gb harddrive and 2 gb memory . my question is i am trying to install a 250 gb harddrive ,but the laptop doesn't recognise the drive ,so i can't install windows on it . i even bought vista .the laptop won't recognise the drive .help

A:250GB Hdd Not Recognized

Hi,

What do you mean the laptop won't recognize the 250GB drive? Do you mean in the BIOS? When trying to install Windows? You can try to download a linux LiveCD like Knoppix or Damn Samll Linux and boot from that (F9 or F12 at the Dell BIOS) and see if it sees it. If so, format with QTParted or Fdisk and then try Windows again. Maybe the drive is bad.

Let me know if this helps.

Adrian

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/250gb-hdd-not-recognized.120217/
Relevancy 39.99%

Hi I ve recently reinstall a fresh copy of XP Pro I got a Gigabyte inxp MB a WD GB install on primary channel as Master with partition GB each I ve also got a Maxtor GB connect to ATA card Before I got everything up and running then I install Maxtor drive card and Maxblast and I have drive C GB D GB and G GB this is the Maxtor then I do a boot-from-cd and install a fresh copy of XP Pro now I cannot see my Maxtor I tried to use my Maxblast software to mount the drive but it say it only detect the Windows drive therefore it won t let me run When I tried to run Maxblast in DOS from a floppy I have to format and erase everything I don t want to do that I have some important documents on my 250GB Maxtor see Cannot that drive that I do not want to lose all drive were Cannot see my Maxtor 250GB NTFS nbsp

Relevancy 39.99%

Maxtor 250

Just put a Maxtor 250 GB into my mate's machine, Maxblast3 will only let me have 137GB, Windows XP will only see it as 31.4GB. I've managed to partition & format it in my own machine correctly but when I put it back in his, it F***s up again

I've updated the Via 4in1, the bios is already updated to the latest version

I'm guessing a new MB is in order ??????

A:Maxtor 250GB seen as 137

i've had that 2 with my 200Gb, windows only allowed 138Gb
do you have SP1 installed cuz that seemed to do the trick on with my 200Gb

:grinthumb The best of Luck :grinthumb
Greetz Selage

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/maxtor-250gb-seen-as-137.20793/
Relevancy 39.99%

I HAVE A SIMPLEDRIVE 250GB MOD # 96300-40001-001 THAT IS NOT WORKING I CAN NOT ACCESS IT ON A DESKTOP OR LAPTOP ANY THOUGHTS?

A:SIMPLEDRIVE 250GB

Hi and Welcome to TSF!

Please do not type in all caps. It is considered rude and yelling.

How have you gone about connecting the drive to your PC?

Does Disk Management see the drive?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/simpledrive-250gb-770002.html
Relevancy 39.99%

I purchased a new samsung eco drive 1tb hdd to add on to my custom built pc. I currently have the 250gb partitioned with xp on it. I installed XP on the new 1tb and when i have both hdd hooked up, XP gets a blue screen of death with the 250GB... if i unhook either one of the drives and run them alone, they run fine.
I updated the bios, chipset drivers, etc...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problems-with-1tb-250gb-hdd.872615/
Relevancy 39.99%

Hello I do not know what happened but I lost gb of my files in my laptop On the HDD where was gb free space now there is gb Most of hdd disappear 250gb from my programs that I had they just disappear same with the movies but for example gp files still are there Moreover option restore system was disabled Those are logs from the OTL I dont know if it will help OTL - http wklej to wfa K Extras - http 250gb disappear from hdd wklej to l yKb I gave this laptop to 250gb disappear from hdd a computer shop but all they did was trying to install antivirus then they did that checkdisk when you start the computer before the login window it took like h or maybe even more after that I took the computer back Now I dont know what to do because files can be overwritten due to the system partition And giving this laptop to a professional shop that is specialized in restoring files will cost me SO MUCH I beg you for help on the HDD I had very important things Thanks in advance Greetings Btw Sorry for my english I hope you can understand everything

A:250gb disappear from hdd

Hello, please repost your question with the full OTL log here so we can advance.

Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/504593/250gb-disappear-from-hdd/
Relevancy 39.99%

I've been looking at some of the features in Samsung Magician, and ran the Benchmark test twice. Both times I got very high scores, above the max listed in the program for all 4 tests. I have the drive set to MAXIMUM RELIABILITY. Just wondering about the scores reliability.

Scores in Parentheses are Samsung 's listed maximum high:

Sequential Read
549 mb (540)
Seq write
532mb (520)
Random read
97442 (97000)
Random write
70189 (66000)

A:Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250gb

Benchmarks are artificial at best [and a benchmark from the mfg is tailored to that particular piece of hardware] I would think you would get different results using a another benchmark program such as ATTO.

In short do not put too much emphasis on any given benchmark. Modern ssd drives are reliable and it should last for quite a while so I would not worry about the drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/samsung-ssd-840-evo-250gb.1136523/
Relevancy 39.56%

I've got 2 250GB HDD's, I know FAT32 won't work on, but I really don't want to use NTFS. I run Windows and Linux, so having 500GB of HDD space that Linux finds hard to handle isn't really my best option.

Is there another file system or way around it that I can run on Linux and Windows without to much trouble?

Relevancy 39.56%

Hello,

can someone help me - I have recently re-installed XP onto a 250GB hdd but it is only seeing 127gb drive. I have service pk1 and service pk2 installed and the bios on the system is seeing the 250gb drive.

Can someone help me

Thanks in advance

Elaine

Relevancy 39.56%

Hi,

I was wondering if LANParty UT NF3 250Gb Motherboard is good for gaming or other usage. How reliable is this motherboard ?

Thank you

A:LANParty UT NF3 250Gb MoBo

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2198

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lanparty-ut-nf3-250gb-mobo.321674/
Relevancy 39.56%

This is just what is says. A fresh win 10 install on a new SSD. Do not explain to me about cloning.

To date I've upgraded the BIOS (UEFI) on a ASUS P67 Performance Gen3 motherboard. I've changed the SATA Mode to AHCI. I can see the drive in the BIOS.

The Windows installer the page where it lists the drive partitions. I only see one drive partio

Drive 0 Partition 1 239.9GB 232.8 GB Primary

I get the error
Windows can't be installed on drive 0 particion 1. (Show Detailes)

The New button is greyed out and when I select next I get

We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one. For more information, see the Setup log files.

Thoughts?

A:New WIN 10 Install on new SAMSUNG EVO 250GB SSD

Hello hiltonr92 and welcome to the forums. See if this will help Windows 10 - Clean Install

Are you installed in UEFI Mode? If so, when you boot from the USB drive use the entry that says UEFI and the name of your USB. If not in UEFI, boot from the name of your USB without UEFI in front of it. Delete all partitions on the drive until it says unallocated and then click the 'NEW" button. The installer will create all the necessary partitions. I hope that helps.

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/46097-new-win-10-install-new-samsung-evo-250gb-ssd.html
Relevancy 39.56%

Hi,

1st off sorry if this has be told before,

I have a 250gb external hdd which now only show 100mb.

It was an old hdd out of an old 7 laptop (which got accidently dropped and insurance replaced) I asked for the hdd back, which when I got it back was fine and working well, I did a quick format and not used it for over a year,

come to use it now to store movies and pictures on and it say volume 100mb?

How do I get the rest back?
Cheers

A:250gb hdd showing only 100mb

Can you see it in Disk Management? (right click on My Computer and select Manage, then go to Storage > Disk Management). Disk Management (What It Is and How To Use It)
Is it showing the drive? Does it show the total disk size?

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/67795-250gb-hdd-showing-only-100mb.html
Relevancy 39.56%

ive had the hdd for about a year now and its been working fine, i only used approx 1/3 of the capacity. But the other day my m8 was installing Windows 7 on his laptop, so he filled my hdd up with all his backup, and their wasnt any more space left, the next day i plugged it in & the white light was flashing, but i could not go inside it, it just appears as a "Local Disk (F)" on My computer, and the same on my m8's, (and if u double click it, then a sign appears stating that (F) is nt accesible because of an I/O error). oh and i recently changed it from FAT to RAW cuz it wouldnt allow me to move more than 2gb at a time, dnt knw if that mite be important, any thoughts cuz i reeli need the data....?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problem-with-wd-portable-250gb.869419/
Relevancy 39.56%

Hi I need advice on setting up nbsp a M SSDriveMy Laptop is a ENVY X Convertible nbsp Model m -w dxI installed a Samsung EVO M GB but I really can't make it work It is nbsp neither recognised by bios nor by OS windows or any disk management software samsung magician or intel rapid storage technology so OS or by SSD 250GB not M.2 recognised bios I have no clues how to solve this Samsung EVO M seems to be 250GB SSD M.2 not recognised by bios or OS right choise cosidering my laptop specificationsI contacted HP support and they nbsp told me nbsp maybe is a loose contact between ssd conector and mainboard slot I've double cheked that and all seems OK in place and securedThen they told me to disable secure boot and enable legacy boot option bios configuration no results after that SSD keeps unseen by my laptop bios and OS Any expert advice or any success M SSD installation experience would be really nice and appreciated I've asked on other threads in this forum with no luck thank in advance for any help on this RegardsAle

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/250GB-SSD-M-2-not-recognised-by-bios-or-OS/td-p/5740924
Relevancy 39.56%

Hi,

Just purchased a new Samsung SP2514 250 gig hdd and XP can only see 32239mb.

Tried using samsung's drive overlay to install xp, but gave up + uninstalled it -(the drive overlay).

I booted from the Xp cd + installed but XP only sees 32....gig's.

I have enabled big LBA by using EnableBigLba from www.48bitlba.com to no avail.

From searching through the forums, I see that a BIOS update may be necessary.

Do I also need to update my motherboard + chipset?

If so, are reliable updates available free on the net?

Any step-by-step instructions would be greatly appreciated.

Thx in advance

Relevancy 39.56%

I have a 250GB which seems to have failed entirely now. It's still detectable by Windows - is there any way I can recover the files? They're really important to me. I don't care what it cost to recover them, but of course cheaper the better

A:250GB Seagate HD failed

Contacy seagate. They should be able to help you.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/250gb-seagate-hd-failed.71726/
Relevancy 39.56%

Hey I got a gb western digital HD Restart 250gb Random HD WDC WD JB- REA this started about a week ago i keep hearing the drive stop like being cut from power and then powering up again i had my computer on for a couple of weeks before this started could this anyhow affected it I also tested it Random 250gb HD Restart with SpeedFan S M A R T function and it gave me this warning - quot NOTE your hard disk Power On Hours Count attribute current value is below the normal range - reported for your specific hard disk model Basically your hard disk was powered on for more than the maximum time the average user did This means that either all of the reports collected are from hard disks that were not powered on for too long this is realistic for recent models or that your hard disk is becoming old Usually this is not considered as a pre-failure advisory but you should check whether you want to replace the hardware or keep an eye on its performances over time quot Thanks nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/random-250gb-hd-restart.63783/
Relevancy 39.56%

It has been 3 or 4 hours and... still going.

Drive is a Western Digital 250 (really more like 232) GB, 8MB cache, one touch, external hard drive.

USB2 connection.

Win XP
1.7 GHz Celeron
756MB DDR RAM

Relevancy 39.56%

Hi,
Me again

Yesterday you solved my problem with my new 250Gb Hdd by pointing me in the direction of Diskmgmt.msc

I now have a second problem , I bought 2 of the drives , One for my XP machine which now works fine thanks , and the other identical hdd for my wifes Win 2000 setup and its on this machine I have the problem

Using diskmgmt it finds the drive no problem but allthough its a 250Gb drive its saying its only a 128

What should I do ?

Regards

Don

Relevancy 39.56%

I have looked all over the internet and cannot find it.

looks like DFI took all the support pages down as well! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

A:Need manual for LANParty UT NF3 250GB

Found it yet?

Hey there,

Just wondering if you found the manual yet?
I am looking everywhere to try and find one but no luck yet...

Cheers

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-manual-for-lanparty-ut-nf3-250gb.167652/
Relevancy 39.56%

Hey guys.
I setup my system on a 250gb hard drive but system reads it as a 127gb. I downloaded the software for converging it to its original form yet it won't let me as it is the C:// drive. If anyone can point me in a direction that might be able to assist, that would be awesome (i.e. a possible partition of the space that wasn't originally read?) THANK YOU!

A:Op sys is on 250gb, reads as 127gb

Do you have Windows XP Service Pack 2? That is the usual cause for this problem.
If you do not, you mayl not be able to partition the drive to anything larger than 132 GB... 127 or so after formatting the partition.
It becomes a catch 22. You could partition and format the hard drive to the 250 GB figure, if you had Windows XP Service Pack 2 to do the setup of the NTFS partition. It will work once as the full 250, or so, once it has Windows on it, but getting Windows on it prevents that.
There are solutions online you should be able to find with a Google search, but they require jumping through a few hoops.
One solution is to setup the hard drive as a slave in a computer that has Service Pack 2... or setup the drive with two partitions while slaved in another computer.
Alternately, set it up as 127 GB, then upgrade Windows with the Service Pack 2 disk you buy from Microsoft for $3.40, then use partition magic or Acronis to enlarge the partition.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/op-sys-is-on-250gb-reads-as-127gb.99761/
Relevancy 39.56%

Would there be any conflict with this unit and W7.

I looked at this unit and it appears to me that it would be ideal for my laptop. I need about 120gb for backup of my C & D drives. I'm not sure if this unit is the best and find no place to compare it to other comparable products on the market.

If anyone has used this product I would ask your opinion of its performance and one other question. How long does it take for the first download of all files.

Thanks

A:Seagate Replica 250gb with W7

If your only use is for disaster recovery, then this drive will do the job...That being said, I would recommend the purchase a large external drive that can also be used for storing individual files/folders...

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/26967-seagate-replica-250gb-w7.html
Relevancy 39.56%

Hi I have an Acer T135 -S870 and would like to install a 250 Gb SATA drive but it is not recognised in the Bios or through Linux Mint that is installed at present on my 80Gb drive in the T135-S870 Could you help me please in solving this problem.

A:250Gb drive not recognised

Have you tried to connect only the new hdd with the same cable of the old HDD?

http://community.acer.com/t5/Veriton/250Gb-drive-not-recognised/td-p/312890/jump-to/first-unread-message
Relevancy 39.56%

I have a 250GB Maxtor Hard Drive that I decided to convert to an external drive when I got my new Dell (bad idea). It worked great for about a month, then one day I get an 'ambulance-like' beeping alarm from the external. I'm relatively certain its telling me the hard drive is dead... most likely from insufficient cooling in the cheap external HD case I bought. But, I dont have any experience with hard drive alarms so i thought I'd ask. Does this alarm mean this drive is dead for good?

A:Dead 250GB Maxtor HD... I think

I would check your documentation from your ext. drive case and see what the sound meant. You can always plug it into an IDE cable to check it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dead-250gb-maxtor-hd-i-think.498675/
Relevancy 39.56%

My 4gb USB pendrive appears as only 250mb (EDITED NOW )! What can I do? I have tried using the format option on right click...

A:My 4gb USB pendrive appears as only 250gb!

Heh, your complainaing about 246 free gig?

Ok I know you mean meg...

Well I would look in the disk manager in the control panel and see what the partitioning on it is. it may be partitioned wrong. You can delete and repartition it to the full 4 gig. then reformat it again.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/85536-my-4gb-usb-pendrive-appears-only-250gb.html
Relevancy 39.13%

Am looking at buying an external hard drive to use as a secondary back up device for my music collection etc, while still regularly backing up my important documents on DVDs. I've been looking around and I like the price of the Western Digital My Book 250GB Essential USB 2.0 External Hard Drive (55 from amazon.co.uk). It's got pretty good reviews and WD is a big name with a decent reputation.

Am only looking to spend around 60 and am not looking for anything massive. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? Am looking to order the external HDD this weekend.

Thanks!

A:Western Digital My Book 250GB

There's nothing wrong with your current choice.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/western-digital-my-book-250gb.574825/
Relevancy 39.13%

I use W7 Home Premium and would like to make a backup of my entire system. I will use the image method and the combination of my C and D discs are about 125GB total. It appears to me that this Seagate will do the job, however, I would like some opinions before I purchase it. Thanks

A:Seagate 250GB USB External Drive

You can get a 1TB external hd for $75. Why limit yourself. You can store an image of your hd, as well as back it up. Will the 250GB be ok? Yes. But go ahead and get the larger drive.
**GO 82nd - All the way! **

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/105637-seagate-250gb-usb-external-drive.html
Relevancy 39.13%

hi, i just fitted a new HD to my pc, its a hitatchi deskstar 250gb sata HD, i have a seagate barracuda 160gb also on sata, and a maxtor 80gb IDE drive,
i can see the new drive in the bios, but when i click on it and select auto detect drives, the bios goes all jibberish and i have to re boot, my problem is that i cant see the drive in my computer??, its connected to sata 1 and the seagate drive with my os is on sata 0...maybe im missing something,, can anyone help??

ok just found out that the new drive is sata II, the one in my pc is sata, can i do anything about this????

A:just fitted a 250gb hitatchi sata HD, need some help

Which drive has the OS? 80GB IDE Drive?

Also you should have those SATA in series of same size like: 0-R 250GB / 0-R 250GB to mirror drives.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/just-fitted-a-250gb-hitatchi-sata-hd-need-some-help.71852/
Relevancy 39.13%

i need to format HDD to fat32 for a movie player standalone....win7 is formatting to some funny format and making my hdd drive click in the player.

what do i do to format to fat32 and what cluster size , ty

A:Format to Fat32 for 250Gb in windows 7

Hi ollie007

Welcome to SevenForums
Are you having issues converting media (video) to a standalone player (format) or do you want to convert the data (video) to fat32 format?

Regards

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/86554-format-fat32-250gb-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 39.13%

Hi beautiful people,

Currently im using a 60gb partition for windows 7 32 bits ultimate in a SATA HD (AIHC mode), i've been told in the past that it is not recommended to use the entire HD as one partition cause slows the system (the needle works more), is that still true?

A:Windows 7 in a 250GB Hard Drive

To a certain extent yes, It is better to have one partition in the top of your drive to hold your system files (programs, drivers, etc) and another partition to hold your data. This will help your system run faster.

However, you cannot just rely on this alone. You should do regular disk cleanup using a program like CCleaner (don't use the registry cleaner option) and defragment your hard drive regularly as well.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/77232-windows-7-250gb-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 39.13%

took this back to shop as would not connect to my pc. windows media center edition (xp). they tried it on laptop and desktop in store and worked straight away.
Any ideas why I can't connect, tried it in front and back USB ports.

A:Cannot connect wd 250gb my passport essential to PC

Is XP updated to Service Pack 3? Do other USB devices work on this computer?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cannot-connect-wd-250gb-my-passport-essential-to-pc.133885/
Relevancy 39.13%

Hello and serious EVO 250GB, migration Samsung problems. 850 thank you in advance for your help I bought a new Samsung EVO GB for my old aging computer and this happened Cloned my old Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, serious migration problems. c drive to the ssd replaced it and everything went fine for a while until i started getting an infinite loop Windows wouldn't boot Did a registry recovery via command line but my windows installation went to hell to forcing Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, serious migration problems. me to reinstall From this point everything went to hell and after multiple windows reinstalls here's some of what happens - Windows installs but errors immediately follows - Some windows updates install but eventually start failing until windows update fails completely - Windows installs updates install but eventually windows fails to load and enters repair mode claiming startup errors - Programs stop working for no apparent reason some examples Browsers won't run file associations disappear class registration errors explorer - Driver problems with peripherals - File system corruption errors - I got situations where the computer would get stuck in a reboot system restore repair loop - Automatic and manual restore points disappear making it impossible to restore to an earlier time - Changing the sata mode to IDE instead of AHCI seems to solve some of these issues but eventually the system locks up the hdd light stays on and after a reset the ssd doesn t get recognized at startup I have to power off to get it back but it s the same all over again If I install windows on my old drive everything works fine So can you guys help What do you think Defective SSD or incompatibility with my hardware I m really at a lost here and could use some help Thanks

A:Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, serious migration problems.

Have you attempted a clean install on the ssd yet, mine works just fine

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/366472-samsung-850-evo-250gb-serious-migration-problems.html
Relevancy 39.13%

Hi

I have a 250Gb Samsung EVO 850 that reports it just has a couple of gigabytes spare when i am using only 70.3Gb as per WinDirStat - i only realised when i turned on the comp and google drive said its runs out of space

I have everything off, 1Gb Page-file (8Gb RAM) - hibs OFF, screenshot of WDS below

Ive ran chkdsk /f but no change
can anyone help please?

edit: I have noticed that recycle bin shows that i still have 209Gb available..??
SMART shows all fine, good health with 2.9Tb Usage

thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/250gb-ssd-showing-as-full-when-using-only-70gb.1154640/
Relevancy 39.13%

I have a SmartDisk 250 gb external harddrive that seems to not be recognised on my computer (vista premium os). I plug it in, it does not go into the usual "installing new hardware" thing, but I can go into the device manager and the hardrive is listed as being on the system. But, in the device manager, it is named "Samsung SP2514N". I downloaded the drivers for that model and installed, still have no access to it. the device manager gives the following info on it:
Disk: Disk 3
Type: Basic
Partition Style: Master Boot Record (MBR)
Capacity: 238474 MB
Unallocated space: 2 MB
Reserved space: 0 MB

thats all I have on it. any help on accessing and using this harddrive would be greatly appreciated

Relevancy 39.13%

Hey guys and ladies Although there are many forums with this topic laid out I have tried everything by the book and have no luck Here's the problem I have a drive setup - Gb SSD Windows Ult x some programs c - Gb SSD i - Tb HDD h - Gb HDD empty reserved for Win f As the Gb SSD drive is full I want to migrate the whole drive to the empty Gb HDD Of course no need to say that far 60Gb - SSD HDD Clone so to not working 250Gb I want everything to Clone 60Gb SSD to 250Gb HDD - not working so far run afterwards without any re-installs also the files on i and h I have tried many clone softwares Paragon EaseUS ToDo etc and the clone goes ok but it wont boot from the destination drive Luckily enough I still have the original c drive otherwise I would be stuck I also looked at the Windows backup and restore but by default it want to clone all my drives and I cant deselect them over a Tb of a backup Now what can I do to get this sorted I just want contents of the Gb SSD with Win on the empty Gb HDD Any ideas of a program that DOES work Also when cloned the new drive is not 'c' anymore How would all programs files work Or is the idea that you delete the original drive and then rename the copy to 'c' I probably do something Clone 60Gb SSD to 250Gb HDD - not working so far wrong but a clean install would take days as webdesigner Clone 60Gb SSD to 250Gb HDD - not working so far I use loads of software and not looking forward to reinstall all those Thanks a ton for a possible solution

A:Clone 60Gb SSD to 250Gb HDD - not working so far

Did you check the boot order or sequence on bios after the clone process? And second, you need to clone from outside windows using the bootable version of Paragon, EaseUS, Acronis, etc.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/222851-clone-60gb-ssd-250gb-hdd-not-working-so-far.html
Relevancy 39.13%

Does anyone have external speakers for a tablet?

I'm looking for speakers that will give high quality sound with my Archos 70 IT 250GB. I don't need speakers that will blast really loud, but I do want good quality sound with some volume.

I'd like to have speakers that I can carry with me in my backpack, that will somehow close safely, so as not to ruin the speakers.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-speakers-for-archos-70-it-250gb.976134/
Relevancy 39.13%

Im thinking of Buying the Beyond Micro External HDD. I am having trouble finding if its compatible with my current pc. The HDD I want says its got an Interface of USB 2.0. My current HDD has an interface of ATA/133.

My question is: Even thought the Beyond Micro HDD is an External USB does it have to have the same interface as my curent HDD, which im guessing is my pc's interface or does it mean that if you have a USB it will work?

The Beyond Micro does say:
Complies with Universal Serial Bus Specification Rev. 2.0.
Complies with T13's ATA/ATAPI-6 Draft Specification
Supports PIO modes 0, 3, 4, and UDMA modes 2, 4
Supports Power Down mode and USB suspend indicator.
Supports Wakeup ability
Works with both PC and Mac
Plug-and-play and hot-swappable connection
Plug and Play
Hot-Swappable

Does this have anthing to do with its compatability with my computer?

Thanks for your help.

A:Beyond Mirco 250GB/8MB Cache/External HDD

The USB 2.0 is simply how it connects to your computer and transfers it's data. depending on how much they want for the micro. you can probably buy a hard drive and enclosure from Newegg for alot less.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/beyond-mirco-250gb-8mb-cache-external-hdd.52977/
Relevancy 39.13%

Hey guys, i need some help, i am trying to get my 250GB sata drive to work on a MS-7061 board so i can install Windows Xp, ive tried going into the BIOS but have had no luck, i have a IDE Drive connected as well as somebody said you can configure it with an IDE drive installed, any help is appreciated greatly, Mark

Relevancy 39.13%

I just bought a Portege m400 and have upgraded the ram and harddrive. I am installing Windows 7 onto the machine. I bought a Seagate Momentus SATA 500GB harddrive but it is only being seen as 250gb. Doesnt the m400 support 500gb harddrives? Whats going on?

A:Portege M400 seeing 500GB HDD as only 250GB

Actually, nevermind

The drive was mispackaged and its a 250gb

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?55905-Portege-M400-seeing-500GB-HDD-as-only-250GB
Relevancy 39.13%

i have a wd 170aa 17gb hard drive in my computer + just bought a 250gb 8mb samsung sp2504c + would like to know how to set the jumper settings on the 250gb hdd so i could set it to slave....any help would be great

A:help setting 250gb hdd jumpers to slave!!!!!

Here

patio.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-setting-250gb-hdd-jumpers-to-slave.54011/
Relevancy 39.13%

I have a DELL Dimension Desktop GB Western Digital HDD w GB Dim It was running and now and then shut down and sometimes re-boot I tested the PSU and had no - V output so replaced the PSU with same model I Ghost wipe my HDD and found I had a bad sector when i tested it Replaced with a new WD G HDD I have for several days been trying to load Windows XP PRO OEM ISO amp just ISO The load will get into the MIN Installation and dye black screen It will keep booting to the hit to boot from CD and want s to start the load again Several times i have received the no NTLDR whiped on PRO Problem 250GB HDD XP loading a found so go into Repair and copy it from the Problem loading XP PRO on a whiped 250GB HDD D back to the C several times have also gotten the Invalid boot INI file Have also received the C windows inf machine inf Checked DOS dir and found no faulty Problem loading XP PRO on a whiped 250GB HDD inf file to delete I am retesting the new HDD and it seems to be ok I am starting to lean towards passably a bad MoBo ANY IDEAS out there nbsp

Relevancy 39.13%

Erlier i booted my PC up into Xp to see a strange warning box come up. I can't remember what it said now but my mouse and keyboard didn't work.

I then pull the plug and fire it back up into XP again. only it get about 2 bars into the loading screen and a BSOD loads fo about a second and the machine restarts.

I booted into Vista to ask for help, i go into my computer and look a my other HDD it is still there but according to properties have 0 bytes space. I tried error checking it but windows said it could not access the drive.

I really need to get my SATA drive up and running again, if its possible.

Cheers

Alastair

Relevancy 39.13%

I am trying to decide what type of HD to put in my computer a GB SATA or a GB RAID x GB SATA HDDs and would really appreciate hearing your thoughts I will be using it mostly for everything from statistical analysis writing etc to music pictures DVDs and flight simulator work The 250GB VS 320GB RAID 0 help!... SATA...please bottom line is data preservation is important I have lately been hearing that RAID does not provide any real performance improvements and carries more risk of data loss I have also 320GB RAID 0 VS 250GB SATA...please help!... been told by the folks at Symantec and Norton that some programs such as Go Back will not work on RAID disks If what I have been told is true RAID carries little in the way of performance improvements but an increase in data loss risk and more limiting in some program availability making the GB SATA sound more appealing Could you please tell me if this is true what are your experiences thoughts Thank you very much nbsp

Relevancy 39.13%

Hi,

I have sony vaio VGN-NW15G with 250GB HDD Vista Home premium 32bit
Recently my HDD crashed to respond so I bought new 750GB HDD.
Once I replaced with new One I try to run Recovery disk to install everything but I am fail to install error:333.
I have no Idea how can i install vista again.

If any one can help I appriciate for help.

Chetan

A:How to install Everything in new upgraded 750gb hdd from 250gb

The recovery discs that come with preloaded systems usually require the HD currently in the machine to be exactly the same as the one that was in the unit when sold. I would contact the maker or check their online support. Perhaps you can get a discounted upgrade to Windows 7. Or you may be able to install Windows 7 for evaluation purposes using an install image. You may want to check out Windows 7 Help Forums for guidance. The evaluation period is plenty of time to determine everything works.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/303073-how-install-everything-new-upgraded-750gb-hdd-250gb.html
Relevancy 39.13%

It's a brand new unused hard drive, and I just want to know once and for all: is there an optimal size to make the system partition when setting up a hard drive? And this one may sound stupid, but I figure it's better to ask and know and be embarrassed than to never know anything for sure at all and inevitably make yourself look stupid at some point, so - so once I've installed Windows, in order to make best use of having made two partitions, do I then just move the whole Users folder over to the other partition?

A:How big should I make the system partition on a 250GB HDD?

if youre going to run windows 7 the OS alone is going to take upwards of 20 Gigs, I cant speak for Windows 8 but I would say somewhere around 20-30 Gigs (there are a lot of laptops sold with a small SSD for the OS and typically they are either 24 or 32 Gigs) should be more than enough space with updates and system restore information.

Just make sure that you install programs on the other partition.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/492799/how-big-should-i-make-the-system-partition-on-a-250gb-hdd/
Relevancy 39.13%

I have a problem with unknown space.

It's on the system c:

It's Samsung SSD EVO 850 250GB

WinDirStat lists 154 GB <Unknown>

CHKDSK can't detect any problems.

Although it's a couple month since I bought this computer I haven't used that much.

I'm not a gamer.

Feeling a bit stumped now.

A:Unknown space 154GB on a 250GB SSD

Hi ... This old Thread in the Link below has plenty of solutions which should help ....
space used up by something unknown

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/377935-unknown-space-154gb-250gb-ssd.html
Relevancy 39.13%

What can I do with 20 250 gb internal hard drives? What would I need to buy to turn them into a server? Any other ideas besides ebay?

A:I have 20 250gb internal hard drives. What can I do with them?

You can set them up for Raid, using all the Sata (assuming Sata HDD) connections onboard.
But you will likely only use 4 Max

The other 16, can be put into external cases (for USB)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-have-20-250gb-internal-hard-drives-what-can-i-do-with-them.101269/
Relevancy 39.13%

Hi, I just installed 250GB Hard disk on my PC running Win2K (has SP4). I am able to see the capacity as 233GB in Windows explorer but when I enter the setup program while booting the machine it says the capacity of Disk01 is 6GB. Wonder why and is there a way to verify the 233GB capacity which the windows explorer shows ???

I really appreciate your help

Thank You

A:Testing 250GB capacity in Win 2000

Im a bit confused here? When you go My Computer, C: and properties. How much space does it say you have. In total.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/testing-250gb-capacity-in-win-2000.307471/
Relevancy 39.13%

i have a 250gb hd (iomega) , it was working fine, suddenly it stoped recognising in any computer.. i tried in more then 10 computer/laptops.
can any one help me ?

A:iomega 250gb hd is not detected by any computer, need help!!

Windows may have failed to assign it a drive-letter, in which case that drive will only be visible in Disk Management:
Go to Control Panel > Admin Tools > Disk Management.

From there you can manually assign a drive-letter by right-clicking it's horizontal ribbon and choosing "Change Drive Letter & Paths"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/iomega-250gb-hd-is-not-detected-by-any-computer-need-help.1020052/
Relevancy 39.13%

Today, I found out that my house cleaners threw out my cd...So now I need to find a new one or just the files. I know the website, but not the driver I need.
http://us.dfi.com.tw/
That is the site. I have tryed a few, but there not the right ones.

I have Windows Xp Home Edition and LANPARTY UT nF3 250Gb.
I just need the same one as the cd. I will have more information soon if I find my manual.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-lanparty-ut-nf3-250gb-drivers.550341/
Relevancy 39.13%

Hey there,

I recently picked up a Seagate 250 GB SATA HDD (model number: ST3250824AS). When I installed it, I did as I was exactly told. I disconnected the power and turned of the system, plugged the SATA cable from the HDD to the motherboard (I have an ASUS P4P800 motherboard), hooked up the power cable from the power supply to the HDD and closed the case up. When I powered up the system, Windows (I'm using XP Professional) recognized the HDD and added it to the device manager... but the problem is; its there is no icon displayed in My Computer. I dont know what to make of it. Could it be something with Windows? Any feed back would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

A:Seagate 250GB SATA HDD problem

Did you go into Disk Manager to initialize the drive, create a partition and format the drive?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/seagate-250gb-sata-hdd-problem.43554/
Relevancy 39.13%

I looked at this unit and it appears to me that it would be ideal for my laptop. I need about 120gb for backup of my C & D drives. I'm not sure if this unit is the best and find no place to compare it to other comparable products on the market.

If anyone has used this product I would ask your opinion of its performance and one other question. How long does it take for the first download of all files.

Thanks

Relevancy 39.13%

I heard that comcast only allows 250gb bandwith a month is this ture or just to scare people from using to much internet. If you 250gb banwith in a month what will happen I am just wondering??

A:Comcast 250gb Bandwith This For Real ????

http://www.comcast.net/terms/network/amendment/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/220868/comcast-250gb-bandwith-this-for-real/
Relevancy 39.13%

Dear everyone I just noticed a MB Unallocated partition at the start of my SSD BOOT Drive It works fine nevertheless Look below In Diskpart it shows the following it is quot of Unallocated as the my space first 250GB SSD. partition reserved quot Wasn't this supposed to be the MB quot system quot partition Unallocated space as the first partition of my 250GB SSD. Meaning if I like to run a Recovery from Partition it would have been Partition before the restore of Acronis I am not sure what I am saying actually hehe Should Unallocated space as the first partition of my 250GB SSD. I leave the MB reserved or is there any possibility to successfully add this reserved space to the OS partition Now I am uncertain if this was here before I had to do a restore of my earlier made backup with Acronis True Image I always use the CD to boot and don't Unallocated space as the first partition of my 250GB SSD. make any backups in Windows I did read something on Acronis forums regarding this but I am unfamiliar with all these technical details Actually all other partitions show up in the order as I had before the backup Does someone here know about this and if this is fine or can I run into quot problems quot with some programs or anything Well after some more digging myself I found that partition above should normally between the efi partition and the boot c system partition So in my case between partition and But it is unallocated and partition Hope this still can be fixed without needing to reinstall everything because that would be a disaster for me at least EDIT amp UPDATE FOUND THE SAME PROBLEM AS I HAVE HERE https forum acronis com forum But it is still a bit too complicated for me to grasp Maybe with some great help we could solve this

A:Unallocated space as the first partition of my 250GB SSD.

I hope there is at least someone who can inform me if the above is correct or not..... I don't know myself but something is telling me it can be different.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/71556-unallocated-space-first-partition-my-250gb-ssd.html
Relevancy 39.13%

I currently have a 250 Gb ATA HDD and I'm wondering if I should put my newly aquired 160 SATA, or if I should replace the 250 with the 160. I skeptical cuz another HDD will add more heat and take up more power. It is possible to have both though. Should I try both and see what happens? What do you guys think?

Antec 430W 2x12v
4 HDD's = 1x Sata (120Gb = XP), 3x Pata (80Gb = Vista, 2x 250Gb Stuff)

A:250Gb hdd PATA or 160Gb hdd SATA 150

That 160 isn't going to be any faster than your 250. Likely slower.

Yes its possible to use both, and I would do so.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/250gb-hdd-pata-or-160gb-hdd-sata-150.104908/
Relevancy 39.13%

My Kaser Storagevault 250GB is giving me errors when I try to copy more than about 12,000 files to one directory.. is this a limitation?

Rob

A:Kaser Storagevault 250GB Error

What OS and filesystem (hint: see disk manager) ?
How is the copy performed; surely not drag-n-drop?

While it should not be a problem for the OS and NTFS, you may find it helpful
to subdivide the contents into subfolders for several reasons, eg Monthly files.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/kaser-storagevault-250gb-error.102592/