Windows Support Forum

Prevening domain user from accessing Computer

Q: Prevening domain user from accessing Computer

I have joined a computer (PC1) to a domain control server (2008), and user able to login using their domain user account - although recently I have found out that even though the computer (PC1) do not connect to a server, user still able to access using their domain account.
Is there a way for me to restrict domain account user from accessing the computer (PC1) if they are disconnected from server?
Hope my explanation make sense to you guyz.

Thank in advance

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Prevening domain user from accessing Computer

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Prevening domain user from accessing Computer

Lots to be considered. Joining a domain is intended to give the company admin configuration control of all the company users.
This is normal, expected and even proper for the company to do this.

restrict domain account userClick to expand...

hmm; only the company admin should be able to do this and almost always it is done using some scripts, NOT by loggin into your PC. So - - who is accessing your PC remotely, the admin - - how do you know this occurs?

PCs joined to a domain usually get a replacement for PC Login - - the network form and that creates a link to the domain controller.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/prevening-domain-user-from-accessing-computer.204127/
Relevancy 77.83%

Hi everyone!
Noticed, that if I try to access a shared folder located on domain computer from non-domain computer, typing \ \ computername\sharename, pop-up authentication window appears after some time (30-80 sec). But, if I type \\computername  without pointing
sharename, pop-up authentication window appears instantly.
If I run created shortcut for this share - pop-up authentication window appears instantly.
I can easily reproduce this problem, it appeared on all machines I was testing.

Can it be fixed somehow? In my scenario, I can not use net use cmd.
Thanks.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/cad57344-0d3d-433f-b3f8-df6187ddbbf4/accessing-domain-shared-folder-from-nondomain-computer?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 69.23%

I have around 50 people in a domain at my work.. how do I stop anyone from accessing my bosses computer over the network?

He is running XP

A:Denying Certain domain users from accessing a computer?

The Windows XP firewall running with "No exceptions" should stop everyone. If by "anyone" you meant selected people accessing but others not there probably is no way. It's probably XP Pro, so file permissions could be used to restrict file read or write access to only those who know the permitted username(s)/password(s).

This response is from somebody who doesn't know domains, so there may be other methods.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/denying-certain-domain-users-from-accessing-a-computer.915357/
Relevancy 63.64%

How do I prevent someone form accessing my computer. To get the access all they have to do is map a drive to my c$ and they are in.

Relevancy 62.78%

Hi,
I had a Dell Laptop with Win7 64-bit. But there was a problem and it wouldn't boot anymore. The problem is that there are some very important files in that laptop. So, I got that hard drive out and connected it to my Toshiba (Win7, 32-bit) as an external drive.

I was not able to access the 'user' files from the dell. When I tried to open it, I got an error message 'access denied'. So, I went to properties --> Security --> Advanced, and changed the permissions to everyone. Now, when I open the folder 'Documents and Settings', it opens the folder on my Toshiba, and not the actual files that are on that hard drive.
I NEED to get those files out of there. Please help.

Relevancy 62.35%

We have a domain user that freezes up whenever he is in the middle of something. There doesn't seem to be a pattern as far as what he is doing when this happens. He has tried switched to several different computers and it does the exact same thing, while other users have no problems on any of these computers. Any suggestions? We use Windows 7 Professional and Server 2008 R2.

A:Domain user is freezing up no matter what computer he is on.

In Active Directory on Server compare this user with other users. Are they a part of any Groups, or Objects that are different? Does the user have a Roaming Profile? (eg) they have the same profile on whatever computer they use, Email, My Documents etc?
Do they have mapped network drives that are no longer active? Right click on My Computer and choose Disconnect Network Drive, see if the path of the drive is current or not. If not, disconnect it.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/domain-user-is-freezing-up-no-matter-what-computer-he-is-on-703115.html
Relevancy 62.35%

I have one computer with Windows7 that I need to restrict user logon to just two domain users.  Since it is for only one domain computer, is there a way to restrict the user logon locally on that computer rather than through AD?
Thank you.

DDaleS

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/fa522874-050e-49a8-877a-cacc7e0f68f2/restrict-user-logon-one-computer-on-the-domain?forum=w7itprosecurity
Relevancy 62.35%

User cannot access their domain this is what they get when they do ipconfig/all:

Hostname:computer1
DNS:111.111.111.2
Default gateway:
IP Address:169.254.0.50
Description:Netgear Fast Ethernet Adapter
Physical Address:00-a0-cc-5f-73-91
what is the problem, is it because the APIPA is a class B and the DNS is a class A. Does the APIPA cause the DNS to not work?

A:A user's computer is unable to access their domain.

Can they ping the DNS server? The gateway is not defined. Where is the DNS in relation to the network? What type of network connection? Can they get to the internet? More info please.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/a-users-computer-is-unable-to-access-their-domain.75589/
Relevancy 62.35%

I use "Teamveiwer" to access my daughters computer. I can and do this, sometimes, unattended. On occasion I see one of the children, in their teens, viewing inappropriate content. But I don't know which child. They each have their own account that are PW protected. I would like to place, on their screen, something that can't be removed that identifies which user account is being used. This item should ALWAYS be on top of anything else on the screen and cannot be removed except by the administrator, their mother.

A:How to identify current user when remotely accessing computer

Quote: Originally Posted by blockie

I use "Teamveiwer" to access my daughters computer. I can and do this, sometimes, unattended. On occasion I see one of the children, in their teens, viewing inappropriate content. But I don't know which child. They each have their own account that are PW protected. I would like to place, on their screen, something that can't be removed that identifies which user account is being used. This item should ALWAYS be on top of anything else on the screen and cannot be removed except by the administrator, their mother.

Don't know if this is helpful, but if you can access the computer remotely, the command "WHOAMI" will tell you who is currently logged in.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/313254-how-identify-current-user-when-remotely-accessing-computer.html
Relevancy 61.49%

Windows 7 64bit Ultimate, logging on to SBS 2008. This only affects 1 user (me!) on 1 computer. I can logon to the same PC as another domain user, logs in within a 2 seconds. I can logon to another machine that I use a lot, instant.
Very little in startup, pretty sure that nothing starts for this user that doesn't start for other users.
So it looks like it's my user profile, rather than DNS, blank screen background or domain policy loading slowly.
I know I can probably solve this by deleting my local profile, but that would mean setting up all my applications again.
Anyone got any ideas?
Thanks
Andrew

A:Windows 7 slow logon to domain - only one user, one computer

You may check Event Log and see if there is any error messages. If no errors are found, you can only recreate your user profile. If you do not want to lose the program data, you may try to back up the AppData folder before deleting the problematic profile,
and then replace the same folder of the new created profile with it.Please remember to click ?Mark as Answer? on the post that helps you, and to click ?Unmark as Answer? if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/38599ae3-62d2-406f-8d30-b0b909b60220/windows-7-slow-logon-to-domain-only-one-user-one-computer?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 61.49%

Here are the steps I took Please tell me if I should have done differently On the server end add the user and computer to the domain in advance Fresh install windows and make the first username Admin Once at desktop rename PC to match PC name on domain i e Workstation Add computer to mydomain local and when asked for username and password I entered the credentials for the new user Restarted the PC and signed into mydomain newuser without any problems However now when I try to access the original local Admin account by typing 'Workstation local Admin' as the username and adding domain Can't as a computer user to after login a local then the password It keeps saying password invalid So I logged back into the domain account and tried resetting the password to Admin and then tried signing in as admin again still no luck Currently there are accounts on the computer one of them is a local domain account for newuser and the other is a local Admin account which I cannot Can't login as local user after adding a computer to a domain access What kind of glitch is this Should I have not joined the domain through the original Admin account and instead added a local user to the PC 'newuser' and then sign in as that user locally then add them to the domain through their own local account I didn't think this was necessary

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/52384-cant-login-local-user-after-adding-computer-domain.html
Relevancy 61.06%

Hello Currently we are in the middle of a migration project We are migrating users from child domains to the root domain of one organization The user accounts are migrated with powershell using nbsp Move-ADObject cmdlet This works as expected The SIDHistory attribute is updated correctly Recently we received complaints from some migrated users - they lost their default custom file associations This happens only on Windows Windows What happens the user is migrated and logs onher profile loads and everything's preserved as expected the user clicks on a jpeg file previously associated with program XYZ OS asks the user to choose a program to open the file withthe user chooses a default program XYZ and the file openswhen the user clicks on a jpeg file again - OS asks to choose another account domain are when domain changes) user to associations one File lost (SID migrated is from a program again i e the settings are not preserved Our investigation shows that it is connected with the UserChoice registry key and the HASH value under nbsp HKEY CURRENT USER Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Explorer FileExts SomeExt According to nbsp this blog nbsp the HASH is calculated based on user's SID But after the migration the user has new SID and the HASH becomes invalid File associations are lost when user account is migrated from one domain to another domain (SID changes) and we hit this quot However In Win the registry changes are verified by a hash unique File associations are lost when user account is migrated from one domain to another domain (SID changes) per user and app nbsp that detects tampering by apps nbsp In the absence of a valid hash we ignore the default in the registry quot Currently deleting the UserChoice key for all associations solves the problem But the user has to make all her nbsp customizations again which is undesirable Is there any supported way to fix this Why the OS doesn't update the HASH after the first logon when the SID has changed as it updates the SID for the nbsp ProfileList key nbsp This could become big issue in large migrations

A:File associations are lost when user account is migrated from one domain to another domain (SID changes)

Hello Petar K. Georgiev,
Please check the following article to change the registry key to change back to the default file type associations.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/19449-default-file-type-associations-restore.html
Please note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.
Best regards,
Fangzhou CHENPlease remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact [email protected]

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/9eeee700-5358-46b8-9c5c-3452045b5159/file-associations-are-lost-when-user-account-is-migrated-from-one-domain-to-another-domain-sid?forum=w8itprogeneral
Relevancy 61.06%

We have removed a computer from the domain because of some network issues.
When we logged in to the computer as a local administrator we've noticed that the user folder of the domain user who was previously logged to that computer was almost empty(except for the appdata folder).
When we joined the pc back in the domain the computer made a new profile.
Unfortunaly the user did save some documents on his dekstop in the old profile.
Is there a possibilty to recover the documents.

The computer runs Windows 7 64 bit.

The old profile is not listed in the profile list in the system properties and also not visible as a profile in the register.

A:Corrupt user profile when removing and adding computer to domain

It's not a roaming profile and the hidden files are shown (also the protected operating files ares shown)
I only see the appdata folder

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/198888-corrupt-user-profile-when-removing-adding-computer-domain.html
Relevancy 61.06%

So,we have school laptops,that I also use for home use, connected to a domain and I want to create a normal user off the domain. Is this possible?, also is it able to have admin abilities, since we aren't even allowed to change our backrounds on the domain. PLEASE HELP!!!

A:How do you create a local user account on a domain connected computer?

So,we have school laptopsClick to expand...

Ask your school's IT department for help. We do not want to suggest anything that may go against their policies.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-do-you-create-a-local-user-account-on-a-domain-connected-computer.1148737/
Relevancy 61.06%

hi.. one of my colleague's user profile from our domain on her own computer has a missing recycle bin and the weird problem is.. even if we deleted her profile from the server and recreate another one it is the same problem... the desktop icons are the same as before and even the desktop wallpaper is the same as before the profile being deleted. i re-created twice and twice the recycle bin is missing. but when i went to another computer.. and logged in with the user's profile.. the recycle bin is there! even when i right click on exploring the windows explorer.. the recycle bin is no where to be found. can anyone tell me whats going on?

A:Recycle Bin icon missing from a domain's user's profile on a particular computer.

This may help http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm line #64 on the right.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/recycle-bin-icon-missing-from-a-domains-users-profile-on-a-particular-computer-180435.html
Relevancy 60.2%

Hi,

I have to manage domain user pc's drive read only in My computer i.e logon user can't create new folder in drive or can't modify.

I am having windows server 2008. how should i manage read only drives from domain server.

Please guide me.

Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-manage-from-domain-server-2008-to-user-pcs-drive-read-only-in-my-computer.1037200/
Relevancy 58.91%

PC was on Windows home version. It was upgraded to Windows Pro but it made us install the anniversity update before we could upgrade.

Joined the computer to the domain with no issue. After reboot we could not log in with the domain user account. Tried other domain accounts too, even domain admin account. It say username or password is incorrect but that is not true.

Tried to unjoin and rejoin to the domain no luck.

Confirmed dns settings on the PC. Using wired connection. Not going through a VPN connection or anything like that.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f338/cannot-login-to-domain-user-after-domain-join-1159401.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Hi,

Well I can use my very own laptop at work ... but they tell me that WinXP Home can not access a "Domain Network"....

Is that true. My only recourse is to move to XP Pro?

Thanks!

Mike

A:Accessing Domain Network

Yes that is true. You cannot add Windows XP Home machines to a domain.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/accessing-domain-network-136406.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Using Win 7 Pro on Dell Latitude D630. I joined my domain and completed all
Windows updates. I can access internet as long as I am logged in as administrator,
but when logging into the domain as any other user, IE9 remains when blank.
I have switched from a static ip address, to a received DHCP address but to no avail.
Am I overlooking something? Many thanks!

A:Accessing internet from domain

Quote: Originally Posted by jef231

Using Win 7 Pro on Dell Latitude D630. I joined my domain and completed all
Windows updates. I can access internet as long as I am logged in as administrator,
but when logging into the domain as any other user, IE9 remains when blank.
I have switched from a static ip address, to a received DHCP address but to no avail.
Am I overlooking something? Many thanks!

This may be due to the Domain's GPO settings which can be used to prevent anyone with a non admin account any access to the network.

The obvious solution is to add the new User to the Admin group by going to Computer Management>System Tools , then add the new User to the Admin group.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/260563-accessing-internet-domain.html
Relevancy 57.19%

So a new box recently built, when booted, defaults to the local administrator account.

This is a Windows 7 machine for a Linux guru that doesn't want to be bothered pressing more buttons than is necessary, if you get my drift.

So my question is, after pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del...how do I dictate to Windows that the preferred used is "HisDomainAccount" on our company domain, as opposed to the local admin account?

If I'm not being clear, please let me know and I will try to explain a little better.

A:Strange Defult Login User Prompt - Local Admin, Not Domain User

Quote: Originally Posted by Norwood

So a new box recently built, when booted, defaults to the local administrator account.

This is a Windows 7 machine for a Linux guru that doesn't want to be bothered pressing more buttons than is necessary, if you get my drift.

So my question is, after pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del...how do I dictate to Windows that the preferred used is "HisDomainAccount" on our company domain, as opposed to the local admin account?

If I'm not being clear, please let me know and I will try to explain a little better.

The above is a bit confusing. Is this computer joined to a work domain or is it not?

If this is a domain computer, the user will have to use the classic log on screen (Ctrl+Alt+Delete), not the Welcome Screen. If he wants to switch to logging in to the Local computer account and not the domain, he'll have to "Switch User" then log in with the format of Computername\User Name

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/208916-strange-defult-login-user-prompt-local-admin-not-domain-user.html
Relevancy 56.76%

hi :

User A will transfer from office 1 to office 2 next week.

In the AD, is it possible to transfer the user A from one domain to another domain.

1. Or would it be better to delete the user in domain 1 and create a new user in domain 2 with the same user ID ?

2. And what type of administrator in AD can perform this type of task.

Thanks
fatchai.

A:How to transfer a user from one domain to another domain in AD ?

Dan Petri's world of knowledge Is one of the best sites that I know of for Active Directory and other information. Check it out!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-transfer-a-user-from-one-domain-to-another-domain-in-ad.433399/
Relevancy 56.76%

I know you can lock down an AD account user. Lockdown specific machine on to a user domain a login to log into a specific machine but can you lock down a machine to only accept certain user logins We have some mission critical machines that only have the specific rights with certain ID s but the users keep insiting on logging onto them Lockdown user login on a domain machine to a specific user. as their own ID thus making the app not work properly and the machine go whacky I want to set it up to deny logins other than using the specified ID s they have been given already and not their own user accounts Is there any way to do this other than limiting EVERY user account since I only need this limit on like PC s per site I have Thanks for any help yes I know about runas types of solutions I really would like to keep these Lockdown user login on a domain machine to a specific user. PC s as clean as we can and not have other user profiles on them at all TIA nbsp

A:Lockdown user login on a domain machine to a specific user.

So I would assume these computers are attached to the domain, so their domain logins allow them to login to the computer.

Couldn't you use a combination of the local policies
Deny logon locally
Logon Locally

Both of them allow you to add a user or group to those local policy. I would think that if you deny the everyone group in the domain then set the users who are allowed to login in the other policy, that might work. I am not sure though. I would have to test it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lockdown-user-login-on-a-domain-machine-to-a-specific-user.440398/
Relevancy 56.76%

I have replaced an NT primary domain controller with a server I still have an Nt server as an application server and NT server 4 Domain in accessing 2003 a as a Backup Domain Controller It has been running fine until I add a new user that was never in the old domain Any new users that get added cannot authenticate to the NT server All the previous users were already in the accessing NT 4 server in a 2003 Domain BDC when I change over I cannot figure out why I can authenticate as Administrator and any old users I have sp a loaded someone said this would help and have even added the new users to the Domain Admin group but still nothing I cannot upgrade the Nt server as the application is an ERP system that is run throughout the company and I am told will not be supported in anything other than the NT environment If I add users on the NT first it updates the PDC just fine but I still can t access the shares Any Ideas Rdb nbsp

A:accessing NT 4 server in a 2003 Domain

Try demoting the NT4 server so it is no longer a DC and integrating it through DNS into your network.

Because your NT4 server is PDC, there is alot to do in order to keep the NT4 server as a DC and integrate it into a Server 2003 Schema AD network.
It is really not worth doing to be honest! Your NT4 server should run fine as a server, but not as a DC within your Server 2003 environment.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/accessing-nt-4-server-in-a-2003-domain.79373/
Relevancy 56.76%

As of today in our domain environment consisting of Windows and Windows Enterprise machines we are experiencing the quot User Profile service failed the sign-in - User profile cannot be loaded quot error message whenever a user tries to login This only affects users new to the particular machine If they have signed on before and already have Default service 8 User Profile loaded. be Profile Profile sign-in Win Environment Domain in Corrupt The failed User 7 the User Win cannot and - a cached account the computer logs them in with no issue This is occurring on both Win and Win machines We are an academic institution so this is becoming a huge problem in our labs Students generally use different computers so this is popping up very frequently I have a solution for the issue It appears that on the non-working machines that the quot Default quot user profile is corrupt I have discovered that if I find a machine Win or Win doesn't matter that is allowing first time users to logon I can copy the quot Default quot user profile and replace the corrupt one I must first permanently delete the corrupt profile before copying over the new one Corrupt Default User Profile in Domain Environment - The User Profile service failed the sign-in User Profile cannot be loaded. Win 8 and Win 7 I am doing this over the network by navigating the C users folder Even this way is becoming cumbersome though as we have over computer in labs I have googled and googled and I keep seeing the same answers offering various solutions none which are any more practical than my method I cannot find information on a cause or a reason of why this would just crop up out of nowhere I suspect maybe a Windows update but I cannot verify that yet If anyone can offer any advice share a possible patch it would be much appreciated Thanks nbsp

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/5a617fa3-ddbe-49a2-af23-e68fd6b015a3/corrupt-default-user-profile-in-domain-environment-the-user-profile-service-failed-the-signin?forum=w8itprogeneral
Relevancy 56.33%

I am not sure which forum this belongs in Win XP Linux or networks but I will start with this After some recent changes we have a problem with access to domain services such as e-mail only by users with administrative privileges These same services could be accessed by any user or power user in the past I will try to be brief in describing the network and the equipment required Administrator accessing domain for privileges I Administrator privileges required for accessing domain am an assistant administrator for a sub-network in a retirement community that has other networks for office personnel health-care etc needs Our network consists of five Win XP computers networked to a separate server machine running on Linux with a SAMBA interface that provides IMAP e-mail service full internet access and full inter-communication between the five resident computers so any one of them can be used interchangeably by users We have about residents registered but only a fraction of those use the computers regularly After replacing an older server program that broke down from time to time with a new one and replacing our former Win computers with Win XP we started having problems with network access At present when we register a new userID and password we logon to the new account and change the My Documents folder from its default C Documents amp Settings location to a mapped shared server drive named H through which all users can communicate from any computer so that it is now H My Documents The computer asks if we wish to transfer all settings to the new location and we say yes With our old setup we could do this okay setting up the new user with Power User privileges and we could logon freely at any computer Now to do this we have to give the user Administrator privileges which we obviously would prefer not to do If we attempt to relocate My Documents as a power user there is a message that this is not allowed If the user is first given administrator privileges and the My Documents move is carried out indeed a new H My Documents is created which can be accessed for storing documents pictures etc If the privileges are changed back to Power User the user can logon to that specific computer using the logon settings stored in the C drive but access to the network domain for e-mail folders etc that are stored on the server s H drive is denied A new e-mail account can be set up but applies only to the single computer and cannot be shared across the network The H My Documents folder can still be accessed and documents retrieved but the network settings are no longer accessible Is there some Win XP permission that will allow us to access these settings We really don t know whether our problem lies in the server in the SAMBA interface or some subtle difference in the way Win XP handles user privileges compared to Win There is a professional network consultant that is responsible for the entire installation but he has been too busy to look at this and frankly I am sure he does not know what the problem is Can anyone out in the wild blue yonder help nbsp

A:Administrator privileges required for accessing domain

Note to Forum administrator. I would like to close this thread and move it to the Other Software thread instead. Can you do this for me.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/administrator-privileges-required-for-accessing-domain.645277/
Relevancy 55.47%

Hello I am using a domain-joined laptop with Windows Professional at work Now I am trying to integrate it into my home network which consists mainly of a Windows XP Professional SP desktop After enabling a guest account and sharing on the WinXP machine I am able to access shared folders on the WinXP desktop from the Win laptop which is not too bad However I was not able to access shared folders on the Win laptop from the WinXP PC not even after enabling all advanced sharing features and disabling the firewall Both using the computer name HAL and the IP address gives me a quot Windows cannot find quot error Pinging the Win laptop works though I wouldn t like to leave the domain to join the local workgroup and am not desperate enough for a dual boot installation or other major work-arounds I have come across especially since sharing the other way around works But maybe some of you guys have a suggestion what else I could try Thanks a lot for your help nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/accessing-domain-joined-windows-7-laptop-from-xp-workgroup-pc.954751/
Relevancy 55.04%

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if there is a way to track which users are accessing files on the network.

For example, Bob has access to the sales folder, he opens a document called sales.txt.

Is there a place where this info is logged? Can I see when he accessed the file?

I am workin in a windows 2000 domain.

Thanks

A:Windows 2000 Domain--Tracking users and which files they are accessing?

I did find an auditing feature under the folder properties.

You right click the folder that you want to monitor and select properties, security, advanced, auditing, then add the user that you wish to monitor.

The results are listed in event viewer, under the security section.

I guess this does accomplish what I am asking, but it seems very tedious.

I'm still up for better suggestions.

Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-2000-domain-tracking-users-and-which-files-they-are-accessing.547676/
Relevancy 52.89%

I've got a machine running Windows 7 logged on the network domain but when I try to map a share to a machine on the network, but not registered on the domain I cannot connect (even though I have a local account on the networked machine).When attempting to connect Windows 7 prompts me for my connection credentials and it automatically fills in the domain name.  How can I connect to this network share using credentials that are local to that network share?

A:Logging in to Non-Domain Network Share from computer on Domain

When you say local credentials I assume you mean local on the "TestServer", not local on the Windows 7 box. Then you should be able to just type in TestServer\LocalAccount and the password (the domain you see should automatically switch to "TestServer")Also; have you tried mapping the drive using the IP address (i.e. \\xx.xx.xx.xx\TestShare)?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/55f8cd00-3053-4201-af27-864cafff0693/logging-in-to-nondomain-network-share-from-computer-on-domain?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 52.89%

Can I access a network share on the domain with a non-domain computer? I would connect the computer directly to the corporate network. 
For what reasons could this be blocked (firewall? policy? settings on server-side?) and what configuration is needed to make sure it is possible to access a network share with a non-domain computer?
Thanks already for your help!

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/18527e9e-f0d1-44cf-99e3-1cee06f9ed29/can-i-access-a-network-share-on-the-domain-with-a-nondomain-computer?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 51.17%

Hi

I recently upgraded my computer's CPU/Motherboard/RAM etc however, after plugging in my old hard drives, Windows failed to load. In an effort to save my old files I reinstalled windows XP on my secondary hard drive, hoping to access my original hard drive's files through the reinstalled version of windows. Everything went according to plan except when trying to access the old 'My Documents' folder, and the computer says 'Access denied,' probably because that folder was declared private on my old network and because the user account was password protected. Please help me retrieve my old files!

Ta

Beau

Relevancy 50.74%

I have four computers that use Window XP Pro, that are on a domain. Is there some way to set the policies to allow only certain users to log in and not others?

A:user on a domain

Got it figured out.

Mahalo,

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-on-a-domain.680353/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hi,

There's something i cannot figure out. I'm in this current domain but these few days i realize i;m not able to add in any user account in XP.

The error pop up saying that trust relationship between primary server fails, but i;m already an administrator of that domain.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-domain-user.905983/
Relevancy 50.74%

I have a domain setup for learning purposes via VMWare. I have 2k3 as DC with 2 XP clients. I have created a local account on one of the XP clients as G-Stress and that is the only additional account I created on that VM. My problem is I created several accounts on the DC, but when I try to login with any account other then G-Stress on the XP client it says the domain is unavailable?

I'm sure I'm missing something just not sure what. As far as the accounts on the DC their all setup with default options. I did see that they are all set as "Local Path" which kind of confuses me.

What I'm wanting to do is to be able to log onto the domain with any account on either of the XP clients. Do I have to create every account on the XP clients as well as the DC?

A:Domain User

Did you join the XP client to the domain? Do you see the XP workstation as a machine account in active directory?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/domain-user.923136/
Relevancy 50.74%

I have about users in two different domains One is AD and the other is NT domain There is one user user.domain.000 who can log in to his computer with the correct domain account and password for the NT domain This allows him to log in but gets the wrong user profile Looking into this I have found that there are two profiles on the computer with the same name user domain amp user domain All attempts to move or delete the user domain folder result in the recreation when that user logs in again I have found where I can modify the registry to point to the profile desired when this user logs on but am weary of making this change because it can cause other apps to fail based on how they are configured when installed I am looking for any kind of suggestions on how to go about fixing this issue of mine Any thoughts or suggestions on what to look for as to why this would happen would also be appreciated Oh yeah the computer is running Win k and it user.domain.000 is in the NT domain There are no other users in this domain that are having this problem at least not yet It does have an antivirus app running that is up to date and ran last night with no issues Thanks in advance for any help nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-domain-000.672822/
Relevancy 50.31%

I have several user accounts on a Windows 7 Machine.

What I want to do is deny access, or better yet hide the folders (even if show hidden files and folders is enabled) to certain folders for only one specific user.

How would I go about this?

thanks.

A:block user from accessing folder(s)?

Hello Inepoe888 and Welcome to BC,

The only way I know of to be able to do what you are asking is by setting group policies. This is somewhat advanced, and usually done by IT tech's / admins, however if you Google "group policies Windows 7" you can find out a great deal about what it is, and if this is something you feel comfortable doing.

Couple of things worth noting:

1) Only works on Windows 7 Ultimate, Professional, or Enterprise to my knowledge. Will not work on Home Premium versions.

2) Must be admin.

Good Luck!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/322280/block-user-from-accessing-folders/
Relevancy 50.31%

I have an old 80gb HD that has some old files I would really like to get back. I think something went wrong with the boot.ini or something but it will no longer boot. It still has all the files. I am now using it as a slave drive on my current system(XP PRO SP2). The problem is that I need the files off a pw protected user. It is my old loggin so I know the pw but it wont let me into it. I was thinking that if my current loggin was the same I might be able to access it but no such luck.

Any ideas would be appreciated! Thank you.

Relevancy 50.31%

Hi everyone I hope user from Accessing read-only 7 Win account 10 Win this is the correct Accessing Win 10 read-only user account from Win 7 forum Yesterday I ran the Seagate Discwizard from an external boot CD intending to clone my GB Windows system drive to a TB new drive The clone option errored out twice each time it selected the TB as the source drive To my horror it had prepped my system drive as the destination drive without any prompt So gone Accessing Win 10 read-only user account from Win 7 are the partitions and Truecrypt partition that I had on the system drive I combed the web for help on restoring the partitions but haven't had much success until I found the software quot Partition Find and Mount quot It was able to locate three of the smaller partitions the OS the users which I separate into its own earlier for speedy backup and non-important game partitions It was not able to find my data partition the largest of them all nor the smaller Truecrypt partition I was able to mount the three it found as read-only to copy files I reinstalled Windows trial since I don't recall the license for Windows or the old Windows that I had upgraded from I was abl to mount the three partitions as read only by the Partition Find and Mount software On the system partition I am not able to access the users directory It kept refusing me permission although I'm sysadmin on the Windows system I tried to add access using the UAC but was not able to because the partition is mounted as read-only Is there a way to bypass the permissions and read the user account directly I have some important downloads that I did not get a chance to move over to the users partition Thanks a lot Ben

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/396988-accessing-win-10-read-only-user-account-win-7-a.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Hello Since Microsoft has decided accessing user from under prevent How IE9 a tools to to not develop a Windows version of Steady Sate I have been following their documentation Creating a Steady State by Using Microsoft Technologies doc Group Policy Settings for Creating a Steady State doc and Windows SteadyState How to prevent a user from accessing tools under IE9 Reference Spreadsheet xlsx We have a number of Public Access PC on our network With Steady State I was able to prevent these PC from browsing our network or viewing any files or folders on the PC itself I have all the group policy changes suggested above plus a bunch more so far total The Public Access PC is set up with autologin the user localmachine PublicUser with only user permissions How do you prevent a user from accessing tools under Internet Explorer and or View Downloads Example why I want to block this access Under this user you can go open IE then access to Tools by either Alt X or clicking on the gear icon next to the Home and Favorite icon Then open up View Downloads or jump straight to View Downloads by Ctrl J in IE Once in the default download location the user then clicks on options on the bottom left of the screen This brings up another pop up and if the user then clicks on the Browse Button he gets a nice little notice that reads This operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer Please contact your system administrator Now the crazy part When the user clicks OK for the notice they get a new Windows Explorer window In the Navigation pane it allows the user to the view the network We have network discovery and file sharing turned off so when the user clicks on Network they get a nice notice about network discovery and file sharing How to prevent a user from accessing tools under IE9 is turned off If they click on the notice a new pop up comes up with the option Turn on network discovery and file sharing If the user clicks on it they get the pop up called User Account Control So now I have turned of User Account Control Behavior of the elevation prompt for standard users I had already set a policy How to prevent a user from accessing tools under IE9 to keep the user from accessing all drives from my computer But when this Explorer Window the user can open up they had access to their my documents libraries music The real point is the user should not able to see or access anything Once they get the operation has been canceled message it should take them straight back to the web browser not open a Windows Explorer Window Thanks for your assistance Greg

A:How to prevent a user from accessing tools under IE9

No matter what you do, consider setting up LUA+SRP as well.
Software Restriction Policy

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/217289-how-prevent-user-accessing-tools-under-ie9.html
Relevancy 50.31%

I recently replaced my motherboard which because my new one is a different chipset than my old one, required me to repair my windows install. Rather than do that and possibly lose a bunch of stuff in My Documents folder and my extensive Favorites I opted to just do a new install on another partition. So far everything has worked fine but when I tried to get into my old Admin files in my "Documents & Settings" Folder it gave me a red x and said Access Denied.

Anyone know how I get around this and into this folder?

A:Help Accessing old User Documents & Settings?

You would have been just fine doing a repair install.
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Take Ownership of the folders and files.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=XP+Take+Ownership

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/help-accessing-old-user-documents-and-settings-93029.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Hi

Normally I try to find out myself, but for this problem I think I'll try asking.

We are often recommended to not run in Administrator mode/account. For this reason I created a second account on my Windows XP and have found that Internet Explorer can't get out through the wireless modem.

In the Admin account IE seems to have no problem.

thanks
greg c

A:Accessing internet from other user account

Quick fix is to use the Guest Account which has internet Access.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/404857/accessing-internet-from-other-user-account/
Relevancy 50.31%

First, thanks guys, and thank god i found you

I am running on Windows XP Home, we have 2 user accounts, today one of the user accounts can no longer access internet anymore, tells us it is firewalls etc, i have tried everything. The other user account is quite happily doing its normal thing, what is that all about and how do i fix it? we haven't installed anything new or made any changes lately, have done all the usual updates and scans. Just cant figure out why one account will and one wont.

Thanks for anything anyone can provide. Tina

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-one-user-account-not-accessing-internet.797531/
Relevancy 50.31%

Hey I ve been cleaning up my Issue accessing account old user with PC lately trying to organise everything etc but I ve come across a problemn I had an install of windows on a drive which became unuseable as a primary after some major issues I therefore deleted the instalation of windows and use it as a dump drive instead However one of the user accounts I created was one I protected for viewing editing from any other source I therefore have the problemn that I cannot delete or open said user account I believe I have things in there that I would like to retrieve before I remove the rest however of course I cannot see them thanks to not being able to view the contents via search or anything so I have delayed using KillBox to delete the whole file in the hope that perhapse there is some way Issue with accessing old user account of retrieving the info I was wondering if perhapse there is a way to add the user account to my current windows install or something I still know the password to it but of course its not connected to anything for me to be able to use it Can anyone help please Many thanks in advance JJ nbsp

A:Issue with accessing old user account

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/issue-with-accessing-old-user-account.537503/
Relevancy 50.31%

My brother wanted to play a game on my computer, so I created an account. I have private files under C:\Users\Jason (Me) and I don't want him to access them. If I right click "Jason" and choose "Properties," I go to security. There is where the problem comes in.
I don't see his name listed.

Everyone
SYSTEM
Jason (Jason-PC\Jason)
Home Users (Jason-PC\Home Users)
Account Unknown ( Random words and numbers )
uuid: 1000000-0000-0000-0200-001DD8 *ECT*
Administrators (Jason-PC\Administrators)
Users (Jason-PC\users)
WMPNetworkSvc

What do I edit so my brothers account *Steven* won't be able to access my files under C:\Users\Jason?

A:How do I block a user from accessing my files?

Under the list of names click Edit, then click Add and type your brothers Username in, click Ok then tick the box Deny beside Full Control.

Regards,
George

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/how-do-i-block-a-user-from-accessing-my-files-573302.html
Relevancy 50.31%

In my organization we have migrated our windows 7 machines to Active Directory domain.

Ideally we should login to Windows 7 Machine with Domain\username

But at present We are able to login to Windows 7 machine by providing any domain name i.e. abc\username or xyz\username with valid username and password.

Is there any solution which allows user only to login by providing valid domain name. If user enters abc or xyz as domain name, error message should be displayed.

Thanks,
Ashish

A:Login with Domain User name

Welcome to Seven Forums,

See if this Articles helps by forcing a User to logon do a specific domain.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/353127-login-domain-user-name.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Hello,
I'm not sure where to start with this one. I have a web server with two nics installed. One nic goes out to the internet the other nic is connected to my internal network. I didn't want to install FTP on the web server. So what I would like to do is share the folder to the local web admin can update the website. But how can I put some security on that shared folder? I was hoping to just add that user account permissions to that folder but it's not in the same domain. Would it be bad to put the web server on my internal domain? Any help or thoughts on this would be great.

Thanks,
Tony

Relevancy 50.31%

I installed Windows XP (Home) on a new HD. Windows appeared to load correctly, HOWEVER, all it does upon boot is give me "System could not log you on...make sure user name and domain are correct...type password again". Mouse and keyboard won't work, there is no way to move the cursor....

Suggestions?

JeffMcIntosh

A:User Name and domain are correct...

I maybe wrong, but I don't think Win XP Home has the option to add a PC to a domain; only a workgroup. This description is pretty vague. Give us a step by step process on what you're doing. Be very detailed.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/user-name-and-domain-are-correct-349278.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Hi,

I've just upgraded to 8.1.

I was always able to login as a different user and use my work network user credentials i.e. workgroup\username. On this version I can do this. I can only add users once logged in and switch between them on the login screen.

This version doesn't show the 'login with different user' link. I've looked around the settings, but haven't had any luck with getting it to appear on the login screen.

Any advise on this would be very welcome.

Cheers.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/50866-cant-login-domain-user.html
Relevancy 50.31%

I am in the process of moving our users from our old Netware X server to NT Domain Just because its the way we ve always done it I recreated all the users directories in NT and shared them individually the way we always have in netware I suspect that in NT the proper way Shares NT4 Domain on User would have been to share the ourserver users and User Shares on NT4 Domain then given permissions to the individual users directories but I cant map the users drive directly to their directory that way and I wanted the users to see their shares only and not everyone elses Even though they cant get into User Shares on NT4 Domain the other user directories it would just confuse them and maybe tempt them to try if they see all the user directories out there My concern is that I have between and users Is there a limit to the actual shares NT can have Is there a performance hit for hundreds of shares Am I heading into problems further on by giving the users these shares What is the accepted and preferred way to provide each user with a user directory thanks in advance nbsp

A:User Shares on NT4 Domain

try this in user manerger
path sould look something like this : \\servername\share\%name%

let me know if this helps
rodman

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-shares-on-nt4-domain.44841/
Relevancy 50.31%

Ok, so i currently have 5 workstations connected to an sbs2003 Acer server / domain. Im about to replace the old Acer server (sbs2003) with a new IBM x3200 Server (sbs2011). On the workstations, i know i will need to add them to a workgroup, and then rejoin them to the new server / domain. But how do i retain the current users profiles on the workstations once they have been joined to the domain? Anyone who has had experience with this would be most appreciated :):):)

Relevancy 50.31%

I have a user with a machine that was setup with Win 8.1 Home. The machine has been upgraded to 8.1 Pro and joined to a domain (WinSrv 2003). I need to get the conten/configuration from their old local machine user profile to their new domain user profile. I tried to copy the contents of their ../users/<name>/.. folder from the local user profile to the new domain user profile (after they had logged in once, and then logged off). This did not work. When I did the copy, I grabbed all files, including hidden...was that my mistake, or is the issue broader?

In the end....they want their old stuff and configuration under their new credentials/profile.

Thanks!

-Nick

A:Merge Domain User Account with Local User Account

There are 4 conventional ways of accomplishing this task.

Option 1: Simply copy My Documents, Favorites, Desktop items from one to the other. You will have to setup program options again, may or may not be a big deal

Option 2: Use the Windows Easy Transfer option. Explained here. Vista & Win7 local to domain profile migration

Option 3: Use the Copy To Feature in User Profiles, explained here: Copy a user profile. The steps are outlined for different versions of Windows, but they work the same in Windows 8.

Option 4: Use the User State Migration Tool. User State Migration Tool 4.0 User's Guide. Here is a link to a video on using the USMT. User State Migration Tool in Windows 7 - Install | TechNet

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/52778-merge-domain-user-account-local-user-account.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Hi,

We are creating a PDF file in login user's local application folder (C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\folder1) through a custom .Net application and displaying the created pdf file in application.

The above functionality is working for users who are part of domain and added to local vista machine as users (both for administrator and standard user accounts).
The same is not working for local users (both administrator and standard user accounts created in vista box).

File is getting created for any user under their local appdata folder and can able to open from that location, but not displaying from app in case of local system users (admin or standard type).

Can anyone help me what security settings differ between domain users vs local users in vista business 32 bit OS?

Thanks
Padmaja

A:domain account user vs local account user in vista

Policy that is actually causing the problem (or lack thereof) is corresponds to Internet Options control panel, Connections tab, Lan Settings button: Use Automatic Configuration settings.
Having this turned on causes IE to load a configuration file prepared by IT department which makes a whole lot of configuration changes to IE, including remapping the security zones. We can test this by unchecking this option (the default state).
Since the machine is in domain and since we are testing with domain users accounts, I have monitored domain controller pushing down a bunch of policy settings which relax the IE security settings, causing the reports to display.
First, domain settings will resync over time and this checkbox will keep getting turned back on automatically. So you can?t really turn this off, it won?t stay off. I would feel better just testing local accounts, but since the computer is also a member of the domain, machine-specific policies are applied by the domain as well.

http://www.vistax64.com/system-security/252093-domain-account-user-vs-local-account-user-vista.html
Relevancy 49.88%

My operating system is Windows with user accounts Only of those accounts is an administrator When using the administrator account I have no problem accessing directories within the other limited profiles e g Limited Account A's Limited all using Accessing Account User Folders Documents or Limited Account B's Pictures However if Accessing all Folders using Limited User Account I am doing some work on either of the limited user accounts and need to access files from another user account it gives me the following message Quote You don't currently have permission to access this folder Click Continue to permanently get access to this folder I know how to edit the folder ownership but that's not what I want to do otherwise the limited account user will always have access to that folder I would like to make it so that when I'm troubleshooting something on the limited accounts I can just enter my administrator account password to gain temporary access to the file or folder I used to be able to do this a Accessing all Folders using Limited User Account long time ago many reformats ago when I had Vista I just remembered it and thought that it would help me out a lot anyone know how to do this

A:Accessing all Folders using Limited User Account

Any help would be appreciated...

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/accessing-all-folders-using-limited-user-account-790722.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Hello anyone everyone I do need some help Please assist thank you Recently I had trouble with malwarebytes program logging accessing as user/admin in Problem in in my laptop computer running Win And those folks there recently has not Problem in accessing logging in as user/admin been Problem in accessing logging in as user/admin forthcoming which is why I am quite desperate coming here My malwarebytes protection keep randomly turned of now and then irregularly while I keep on re-enabling it In this process of disabling and renabling already taking its toll the point I have reached now is if I do not remove the malwarebytes software completely from my computer I cannot acess to log in to use even though Win has started The most recent bit of suspicion was some days ago a windows command processor dialog popped and requesting permission to give a yes or no prompt by my Scotty patrol program Of course I click a NO But it gives me the creep that my computer is somehow not in good condition I do surf the net a lot visiting s of places However I do exercise a decent bit of protection and alertness to protect myself landing in unwanted places and dubious s w creeping into my computer Please help me Thank you

A:Problem in accessing logging in as user/admin

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer! I am HelpBot: an automated program designed to help the Bleeping Computer Staff better assist you! This message contains very important information, so please read through all of it before doing anything.
We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.
To help Bleeping Computer better assist you please perform the following steps:
=http://www.bleepstatic.com/images/site/icons/steps/step1.gif In order to continue receiving help at BleepingComputer.com, YOU MUST tell me if you still need help or if your issue has already been resolved on your own or through another resource! To tell me this, please click on the following link and follow the instructions there.CLICK THIS LINK >>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/logreply/489298 <<< CLICK THIS LINK
If you no longer need help, then all you needed to do was the previous instructions of telling me so. You can skip the rest of this post. If you do need help please continue with Step 2 below.
*************************************************** If you still need help, I would like you to post a Reply to this topic (click the "Add Reply" button in the lower right hand of this page). In that reply, please include the following information:If you have not done so already, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.A new DDS log. For your convenience, you will find the instructions for generating these logs repeated at the bottom of this post.Please do this even if you have previously posted logs for us.If you were unable to produce the logs originally please try once more.If you are unable to create a log please provide detailed information about your installed Windows Operating System including the Version, Edition and if it is a 32bit or a 64bit system.If you are unsure about any of these characteristics just post what you can and we will guide you.Please tell us if you have your original Windows CD/DVD available. Upon completing the above steps and posting a reply, another staff member will review your topic and do their best to resolve your issues.
Thank you for your patience, and again sorry for the delay.
We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan again: Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links if you no longer have it available. Save it to your desktop.DDS.comDouble click on the DDS icon, allow it to run. A small box will open, with an explanation about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running. Notepad will open with the results. Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results. Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet.
Information on A/V control HERE As I am just a silly little program running on the BleepingComputer.com servers, please do not send me private messages as I do not know how to read and reply to them! Thanks!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/489298/problem-in-accessing-logging-in-as-useradmin/
Relevancy 49.88%

My brother has a 2tb hard drive in his computer and he barely uses any of the space in it. So I shared a folder from his computer, and then mapped that folder to mine. I use to this for storage purposes. I was wondering if there was a way from preventing my brother from being able to open this folder if he were to find it on his computer. I'm running win 8 and he's running win 7.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/21435-block-local-user-accessing-folder.html
Relevancy 49.88%

How to deny access of particular user to system using permissions? What permissions do i need to set to restrict user access only to programs installed by administrator?

A:What are minimum set of user permissions for accessing the system?

use groups

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/308787-what-minimum-set-user-permissions-accessing-system.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Hi i have patition (c) and partition (D) and partition (j)
I need help blocking a standard user from accessing partition (D) and partion (j).

windows 7 Home premium
64 bit

Thnks for any help in advanced

A:How can i block certain user accounts from accessing certain partition

Hello yeabuddy,

You could use the tutorial below to set the D and J drive permissions to "Deny" all access to only that specific user account.

Permissions - Allow or Deny Users and Groups

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/212724-how-can-i-block-certain-user-accounts-accessing-certain-partition.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Recently I had to do a system restore Accessing user folders XP accounts Problem due to a virus infection and it restored the computer months back only Problem Accessing XP user accounts folders there was one problem USERS before System Restore Account P Computer owner Account Account X Administrator Account Y limited Account Z Administrator USERS after system restore Account N COMPUTER Problem Accessing XP user accounts folders ADMINISTRATOR After the system restore there was only a Computer Owner Administrator account After weeks of trying to recreate the accounts to no avail i have given up However When I go to C Documents and Settings I can still access all the folders and files of the previous user accounts P Y and Z All except for Account X which was an administrator account and had set its sharing of files and folders to PRIVATE and unable to let other users access When I try to open the documents folder using the Computer owner administrator account it says quot Access to C documents and settings account X Is Denied quot I have tried to change its properties of the folder to share and i have tried booting the computer in safe mode and changing its permissions to no avail It still says quot you do not have the permissions to change this quot Can somebody help me with this Much appreciated nbsp

A:Problem Accessing XP user accounts folders

Sometimes when you reinstall WindowsXP, you can receive an Access Denied error when trying to open a previous user's directory.
To take ownership of that folder again:

1. Log on with an account that has administrator rights
2. Right click on the folder
3. Select Properties
4. Click on the Security tab
5. Click on the Advanced button
6. Click on the Owner tab
7. In the list of Names, click on your name
8. To take ownership, click on Replace owner on subcontainers and objects
9. Click OK and Yes

http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#file_ownership

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problem-accessing-xp-user-accounts-folders.576640/
Relevancy 49.88%

I have two pc's - a laptop and a tower - with Windows Ultimate -bit installed on each We use Homegroups to share files wirelessly via router There is an external hard drive attached to the tower On that external drive I accessing shutting warn to down pc ext HD? if How network against user have a folder named quot Movies quot with many sub folders that contain dvd rips I have the laptop connected to the living room TV via HDMI cable where I watch the dvd rips However someone can shut the tower down while the laptop is playing a movie and of course the movie stops playing My questions are - Is there a way to alert the tower user that someone is using the external drive when quot shut down quot is selected so that the tower user knows not to shut down If that is possible is there a way for the How to warn against shutting down pc if network user accessing ext HD? tower to shut down on its own perhaps when the external hard drive goes idle or even perhaps via command by the laptop user Thank you for your time and courtesy

A:How to warn against shutting down pc if network user accessing ext HD?

i have this problem also . my workaround is to copy the movie i wish to watch that evening before the desktop gets closed, of course its a real PITA when it gets closed whilst copying .
interested to see if there is a solution.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/177010-how-warn-against-shutting-down-pc-if-network-user-accessing-ext-hd.html
Relevancy 49.88%

The situation that I m facing is purely economical to the tune of an extra a year in support fees Were an NPO that supports a particular city agency so we do have a few perks HISTORY We have a desktop computer that is tied into the between and domain non-domain computer a Communicating municipal net Tho we own the computer city decided that they had to bring it up to their standards Communicating between a domain and non-domain computer or lower it as the case appears since they would Communicating between a domain and non-domain computer be providing support The system was bought about - yrs ago nothing fancy Dell Win XP city s still on XP Office Standard The city took the machine to update it and what we got back was a system with Win XP and Office XP That s right the one that s obsolete For this we pay yr which gets a backup server and access to a color laser printer OK that s not the complaint Last September we purchased a laptop so we could expand our volunteer help We figured if we could get the volunteers doing input on the laptop wireless then that would free up the desktop for other functions Not to mention the fact that our closet of an office can t fit more than people comfortably My initial thoughts were to setup a VPN and use the city s WIFI at the location to allow the desktop and laptop to communicate from anywhere in the building Well they poo-pood that Mostly I think they didn t understand it Anyways they suggested that we put in an A B box and a wireless router see image below Their were concerned that when the laptop was communicating with the desktop both would be off of the city net OK a couple of points in their favor for security Nearly months go by and they finally show up to get everything hooked up something I had already done but couldn t get the admin right to the city net After - hour they are no better off then I was So they left and haven t been back That s over a month ago Talk about getting your money s worth TODAY refer to image With the box in the quot A quot position we are on the city net as before When the box is switched to the quot B quot position the desktop sees and is seen by the router and naturally the laptop is always sees and is seen by the router BTW using WPA security Remember I m trying to keep the manual procedures as simple as possible for the users as they have limited computer expertise PROBLEM Neither computer wants to talk to the other My only thought is that the desktop is on the city s domain and the laptop is only listed as Workgroup QUESTIONS With the configuration below and the problem above are the two computer able to communicate in any way Is this a firewall problem Both firewalls were temporarily disabled to test this but no results Is there any policies that need to be established OK gang can you help me out here Truly appreciate any thought on the subject Thx nbsp

Relevancy 49.88%

Hi.
I have a non-domain computer (win 10 basic).
Can it connect to a Aerohive wireless domain network?
Any links to a tutorial on the net?

Thanks...

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/49689-non-domain-win-10-computer-domain-network.html
Relevancy 49.88%

I have several users on my domain, managed with Active Directory. How can I ensure that every user, regardless of what PC they sign into, has the exact same programs and settings for these programs?

I don?t want to go to every computer, and install and configure software for each person that signs into that PC. Sometimes our users don?t always use the same PC either, so if for some reason I configured a user account on one PC earlier in the day if they log into a different computer I?ll have to do it all over again.

I need each PC to have programs, with certain settings for those programs, to be installed under any user account that may sign into that computer. For e.g., if I were to sit down at a computer that I have never signed into before - once I login Firefox is already installed with certain preferences.

Any help?

A:Same programs and settings for each user regardless of PC on domain

In short: I guess you need a combination of roaming profile (for settings and data) and group policy to install the programs. And perhaps folder redirection.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/374203-same-programs-settings-each-user-regardless-pc-domain.html
Relevancy 49.88%

I've done this before on NT, but I don't remember how. I'd also like to do it in 2K/XP.

If I had to guess, it would be in NT's musrmgr, but it's not.

Relevancy 49.88%

I domain Can't - user for profile local Win set XP can t seem to have a user on my domain have a local profile on this one computer of mine One of my users see pic named ben has a local profile however when I added another user Can't set local profile for domain user - Win XP nicole using the window on the right The user doesn t even appear in the profiles settings over on the left I ve logged in with nicole and it says it can t find the roaming profile and is going to use a temporary profile But when I go to change the profile from roaming to local the quot local profile quot option is grayed out when i m logged in as nicole when I m logged in as an administrator nicole doesn t appear on the profile settings list so I can t change it there either I m a bit confused My PDC is running samba on a linux box The worst part is roaming profiles aren t even enabled in the samba settings If there is any other information you need from me please let me know nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-set-local-profile-for-domain-user-win-xp.466626/
Relevancy 49.88%

I received my computer recently from someone who registered it on a domain server out of my access. Every time I try to change a setting where I need to give my password, the computer says "there are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request" i also cannot change user accounts.

i would appreciate any help.

A:How do i change user accounts outside their domain?

Quote: Originally Posted by Thielen

I received my computer recently from someone who registered it on a domain server out of my access. Every time I try to change a setting where I need to give my password, the computer says "there are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request" i also cannot change user accounts.

i would appreciate any help.

Welcome to the windows 7 forums Thielen.

Can it be assumed that you received the original disk from whoever you received the computer from?

My suggestion is to do a complete re-install unless you can give the machine back to whoever you got it from and have them unjoin the computer from their domain and set it back to a local workgroup. They should be able to do this fairly easy.

Although FWIW, Home versions of Windows 7 won't allow you to join to a server domain.

If the person you received the computer from is not available then about the only solution would be to completely re-install windows 7 from the disks you received from them.

Rich

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/223389-how-do-i-change-user-accounts-outside-their-domain.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Hi all,

I have a user on our domain who is always unable to log into his PC after it gets locked. If he reboots he is then able to log in normally with exactly the same password.

He is also able to log onto the PC when it is not connected to the network so the cached credentials are not a problem.

Any ideas?

A:[SOLVED] DOmain user can't log in after locking PC

Hi and Welcome to TSF!

First thing is to find out why they are getting blocked. I'd recommend a password change first to make sure that a device like a phone isn't using the wrong password.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-domain-user-cant-log-in-after-locking-pc-978450.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Hey all
I have a laptop which I use for both business and personal use. The laptop is running Windows XP professional. I want to set up two or more users/profiles on the laptop, each user must be connected to a different workgroup or domain. So, if I have 3 users, then one user must connect to a domain and the two other users must connect to TWO DIFFERENT WORKGROUPS.

Is this possible and how do I do this?
Thanx
ChG

A:Different Workgroup/Domain on user accounts

As far as I know you will have to remove the computer from the network & join it to the workgroup..and vice/versa if you want to use it on different networks.. It cant be joined to more than 1 network at any given time. Even though you would be using it in 2 different locations it still remains joined to the network/workgroup that is already there.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/different-workgroup-domain-on-user-accounts.625103/
Relevancy 49.88%

I'm stumped I have a batch file that I used on XP to run an MMC that I created for common management tasks In the MMC I have the ability to run regedit as a root forest domain privileged user for remote system registry editing password resets using AD remote computer management and several web links for common sites the team uses I did this so it was all in one place and it worked awesome in Win XP When I run the batch file it reports that the directory could not be found Here's the command in the batch file C WINDOWS system runas exe savecred profile env user root forest domain account quot mmc Admin Tools msc quot Obviously the account being used for the privileged Batch different user? domain to a file as MMC run access is put after the user switch Here is the error I get C Users username Desktop gt C WINDOWS system runas exe savecred profile env user elevated username quot mmc Admin Tools msc quot Attempting to start mmc Admin Tools msc as user quot root Batch file to run MMC as a different domain user? forest domain account quot RUNAS ERROR Unable to run - mmc Admin Tools msc The directory name is invalid I have verified that runas is in the same place as in XP as well as MMC I have run the batch file with elevate access as well as run the command prompt with elevated access in fact that was copied from an elevated command prompt The account I'm running it on has admin Batch file to run MMC as a different domain user? rights on the box though UAC is set I own both the account this was run from and the quot root forest quot privileged account this account is NOT a domain admin This is all being done on Win Pro in a large enterprise domain environment Again this batch file worked and still works on Win XP in the same environment Thanks I should add that the MMC console runs fine if I Batch file to run MMC as a different domain user? don't use the batch file

A:Batch file to run MMC as a different domain user?

Nobody?

I know we have some awesome how-to people here, maybe it should be in a different forum?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/120768-batch-file-run-mmc-different-domain-user.html
Relevancy 49.88%

I am looking for some help with something that I have been unsuccessful in finding a solution for. I am currently doing testing with windows 7 and adding a few computers to our domain. We do not want the computer to remember the last logged in user, therefore when the computer boots up, it shows a blank user icon. I understand the reasoning behind this but I a looking for a fix. I would like to put a custom user icon in there and have it display when users are not logged in as well as make it the default for the user icons. I have already made it the default for the user icons, however am stuck on the blank icon.

Could someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks again,

-AF

A:Blank User Icon in Domain

How to customize default user profiles in Windows 7 and in Windows Server 2008 R2

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/79886-blank-user-icon-domain.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Hello,
All of my clients are domain member of server 2008. But, I want to remove some member PC (XP pro) to default XP settings. They will access server through VPN connection.
Now:
1) How can I get back to default XP settings?
2) After back, my previous settings destroy or remain unchanged?
I mean mydesktop settings/outlok settings etc...

Thanks in advance...

Relevancy 49.88%

The user profile logon I currently use is assoicated with an NT domain. Is there a way to keep the user profile, but sign on without connecting to the domain, i.e. as a local computer user? If I remove the domain name and substitute it with (local computer), it doesn't allow a sign on. I'd like to keep all of my settings, but use them without signing on to our NT network. Thanks.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/keep-user-profile-but-leave-domain.769265/
Relevancy 49.88%

computer won't let me log on saying.user name and domain not correct...this happened some time ago...think admin was,mentioned.please help

A:won't let me log on windows xp.user domain not correct

Is this your own/home computer or one at work? If the latter then contact your Admin chaps/chapesses.If it's your own/home computer - are you actually using a domain system; very unlikely to be on a domain at home??

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-xp/wont-let-me-log-on-windows-xpuser-domain-not-correct/203150.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Hello,
I was wondering if it is ok to use an account that is a domain admin? technet says use a readonly account, but does that mean it has to be a domain user and not an admin? Please let me know, thank you.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/621aa78e-40e0-48c7-80bb-db4751ab904d/question-about-the-domain-user-settings?forum=mata
Relevancy 49.88%

I would like to set my domain pcs to have a custom branded wallpaper when users login for the first time. I am using Vista Business. I do not have a problem with them changing the wallpaper to personalizae there pc once they have logged in. How do I go about doing this?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/default-domain-user-background.866671/
Relevancy 49.88%

Hi nbsp I have installed the IBM filenet user with crashes Application domain capture in windows bit and with local user everything seems to be working fine but i login with domain user the application crashes with the following here Log Name nbsp nbsp nbsp Application Source nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp Application Error Date Application crashes with domain user nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp AM Event ID nbsp nbsp nbsp Task Category Level nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp Error Keywords nbsp nbsp nbsp Classic User nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp N A Computer nbsp nbsp nbsp SCAN segbpnt ogb Description Faulting application name FNCaptureApp exe version time stamp x e b Faulting module name KERNELBASE dll version time stamp x d b Exception code xc Fault offset x f Faulting process id x Faulting application start time x d f a e Faulting application path C IBM Capture Programs FNCaptureApp exe Faulting module path C Windows system KERNELBASE dll Report Id e c -ec - e -af d- aa ca Event Xml lt Event xmlns quot http schemas microsoft com win events event quot gt nbsp lt System gt nbsp nbsp lt Provider Name quot Application Error quot gt nbsp nbsp lt EventID Qualifiers quot quot gt lt EventID gt nbsp nbsp lt Level gt lt Level gt nbsp nbsp lt Task gt lt Task gt nbsp nbsp lt Keywords gt x lt Keywords gt nbsp nbsp lt TimeCreated SystemTime quot - - T Z quot gt nbsp nbsp lt EventRecordID gt lt EventRecordID gt nbsp nbsp lt Channel gt Application lt Channel gt nbsp nbsp lt Computer gt SCAN segbpnt ogb lt Computer gt nbsp nbsp lt Security gt nbsp lt System gt nbsp lt EventData gt nbsp nbsp lt Data gt FNCaptureApp exe lt Data gt nbsp nbsp lt Data gt lt Data gt nbsp nbsp lt Data gt e b lt Data gt nbsp nbsp lt Data gt KERNELBASE dll lt Data gt nbsp nbsp lt Data gt lt Data gt nbsp nbsp lt Data gt d b lt Data gt nbsp nbsp lt Data gt c lt Data gt nbsp nbsp lt Data gt f lt Data gt nbsp nbsp lt Data gt lt Data gt nbsp nbsp lt Data gt d f a e lt Data gt nbsp nbsp lt Data gt C IBM Capture Programs FNCaptureApp exe lt Data gt nbsp nbsp lt Data gt C Windows system KERNELBASE dll lt Data gt nbsp nbsp lt Data gt e c -ec - e -af d- aa ca lt Data gt nbsp lt EventData gt lt Event gt Please help me with this I know this is regarding permission issue speculation but where to give permission not able to understand where to give permission and i also checked at registry level but no luck is there any way to enable tracing for paticullar dll any suggestions

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/86df8f3f-25f3-4450-93f2-72833b79a535/application-crashes-with-domain-user?forum=w7itproinstall
Relevancy 49.88%

Hi,
Once a workstation is removed from the active domain does the SAM file still contain security information regarding the active domain.
I'm asking because we are evaluating our security processes when retiring a workstation.
Thank you,
James

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/5d2c3525-dd9c-446c-aa19-94840f63aacf/sam-user-info-and-active-domain?forum=w7itprosecurity
Relevancy 49.88%

Hello here is my case I'm using a laptop I'm using this laptop at office and at home At office I am a domain admin let's say MyDomain MyUser and I use this user to log in to my machine I have added MyDomain MyUser as a local admin of my machine At hime I'm not connected to quot MyDomain quot but I still log in using the account MyDomain MyUser It's ok I can connect But anyway when I'm at home there are some things I cannot do like doing quot cmd admin local Domain user and iisreset quot -- gt must be admin launching a quot visual studio quot solution whena project is registered to Domain user and local admin IIS -- gt must be admin In SQL Server I cannot do some modification when I log as windows authentication and even if this user is dbowner As I understand when I'm disconnected of the domain it does not quot really quot recognize me as being an admin any more until he quot can be sure quot it's me by checking in the domain There are some scenario where this is very blocking for me Can I solve that And how Many thanks

A:Domain user and local admin

Welcome to Sevenforums,

I suggest you to have a look at the MS Support for Windows 7:
Windows 7 Solution Center

Do a search for keyword "Domain" (Domain not available) in the "Advanced Search" Tab.
This will display around 1000 results. Readed some and you might find what you're looking for.

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/104715-domain-user-local-admin.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Probably an easy one, but I can't figure it out.

In our company, we have Windows Small Business Server 2008

We have bought a new PC with Win 8 Pro installed, the first one with Win8. How can I create a user account that is part of our domain?

I have been able to make the PC a member of the domain.
I have been able to create a local account, and I can create a "microsoft" account. Both use different paswords than the one used in the users domain account.

But how can I create an account in the style MYDOMAIN\MYUSER and with the domain password?

A:Make user member of domain

Hello, domain users are created at the local Domain Controller in ADUC (Active Directory Users and Computers). Unless you are a domain admin you cannot do that.
The Cleaver

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/make-user-member-of-domain.1131932/
Relevancy 49.88%

Dear Experts

I have got my work laptop (windows 7) that was configured to access a domain work.

When I log in to my laptop the username that was assigned to me is like that : country\d50001122,,,,,,,,made it up and password is : forum

When I am at home I want to backup my work from the laptop to a network drive on my home desktop computer (called storage1).

On my desktop computer I tried to create a username d50001122 ( I removed the country with slash) and with same domain password.

Then I enabled the sharing and the security on my home drive.

I tried from my laptop to access that drive but error message pops us :

You do not have permission to access \\homedesktop\storage1. Contact your network administrator to request accessClick to expand...

Did i miss something ? is that error because of user is a domain user ?

Regards

A:domain user needs to map home drive

have you contacted your net admin?

Just as an FYI, about 4 months ago we let go a very senior person in my company for doing exactly what you are doing. He got tagged for theft, as well as a SOX violation. So unless you have express written permission to take work home ESPECIALLY IT work, I'd be very, very leery.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/domain-user-needs-to-map-home-drive.1108077/
Relevancy 49.88%

Wanting to migrate my student lab's to amp this summer but need to find a way to quot Disable quot Fast User Switching - I see the advantage for the home user and maybe even a small office but for students who NEVER log off I want the machines to run as fast and as clean as possible and NOT have multiple accounts logged in at the same time While I am familiar with Switching for Fast User Domain PC's the reg hack to hide the quot switch user quot button this is also not an option since if a student logs in and locks the machine there is no way for the lab instructors to log Fast User Switching for Domain PC's off the machine with their administrator credentials It simply asks for that users information and the only way around is to shut down or reboot the machine Did Microsoft miss this It may have been in Vista also but we skipped that OS and this will be a MAJOR headache for MANY network admins - I hope I have missed something and look forward to anyone's advice on Fast User Switching for Domain PC's this and how they handle this scenario -

A:Fast User Switching for Domain PC's

Try this,

Lock and Switch User - Add or Remove - Vista Forums

The first thing you can do is disable the Lock function,
in the registry browse to the following keys: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

Then create a a new DWORD (32bit value) name it DisableLockWorkstation
Change the value to 1 which disables the Windows Lock. (The change should be immediate)

From there you can disable the Switch User, from either Group Policy or in the registry..

Hope this Helps...

EDIT: I have just tested this on my Windows 7 computer and it works! I can't Lock the machine or switch users..

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/84148-fast-user-switching-domain-pcs.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Dear Experts

I have got my work laptop (windows 7) that was configured to access a domain work.

When I log in to my laptop the username that was assigned to me is like that : country\d50001122,,,,,,,,made it up and password is : forum

When I am at home I want to backup my work from the laptop to a network drive on my home desktop computer (called storage1).

On my desktop computer I tried to create a username d50001122 ( I removed the country with slash) and with same domain password.

Quote:
You do not have permission to access \\homedesktop\storage1. Contact your network administrator to request access

Regards

A:domain user needs to map home drive

Quote: Originally Posted by zillah2004

Dear Experts

Quote:
You do not have permission to access \\homedesktop\storage1. Contact your network administrator to request access

Regards

Try going into the Home drive then make adjustments to the Security tab of the C:>Users folder per the link below.

HDD sharing

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/304333-domain-user-needs-map-home-drive.html
Relevancy 49.88%

I have had this answered in the past, but cannot locate the thread so I am asking again.  I want to restrict a Windows 7 Pro machine so that only I and a couple other domain users can log on.God Bless, Mark A. Sam The Bible promises there will be NO computers in Heaven: Revelation 21:4

A:Restricting Domain user logon

Mark,
<quote>
I want to restrict a Windows 7 Pro machine so that only I and a couple other domain users
can log on.
</quote>
Sure, you can set it locally.
On your WIndows 7 Pro, run gpedit.msc
Configure local policy as described in step 7.
Configure Computer / Windows Settings / Security Settings / Local Policies / User Rights Assignment / Allow Log on Locally. Configure this setting so that only users who should log on locally are listed.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/3c980bcb-9232-4760-88c6-b9e81ba5b9e1/restricting-domain-user-logon?forum=w7itproinstall
Relevancy 49.88%

I take care of our small SBS2011 based system (approx 30 users). I have a (1) user (Windows 7 Pro system) who can no longer browse the internet with Firefox or IE. If I log in as another user, I can browse - no problem.

Logged in under the problem user, I can ping web sites and get 4 good returns. I did scan with Sophos, Malwarebytes, SFC and Vipre Rescue (safe mode). Malwarebytes did find and quarantine a few things. 

What ever he stepped in, it did load a couple of BS programs which I went into control panel (programs) and uninstalled as well.

What should I look for or try next?

I was going to try Rkill, Combofix and adwCleaner.

Thanks

A:One User can not browse on a Domain, Ping OK.

Run the AdwCleaner.  If downloads have been made which contained embedded third party software it will remove it.

Do not run Combofix, you should not run this without the guidance of one of our Malware Removal Teem members.  You can not post a combofix in the Widnows forums.

Please post the Malwarebytes log.

To find your Malwarebytes log,download mbam-check.exe from here and save it to your desktop.

To open the log double click on mbam-check.exe on your desktop.  When the log opens, scroll down toward the bottom of the log to Quarantined Items.  Copy and paste this in your next post.Please run the ESET OnlineScan
Hold down Control and click on this link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
Click the button.
For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
Click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
Double click on the icon on your desktop.

Check "YES, I accept the Terms of Use."
Click the Start button.
Accept any security warnings from your browser.
Under scan settings, check "Scan Archives" and "Remove found threats"
Click Advanced settings and select the following:
Scan potentially unwanted applications
Scan for potentially unsafe applications
Enable Anti-Stealth technology

ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
When the scan completes, click List Threats
Click Export, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
Click the Back button.
Click the Finish button.

Because the Eset online scan is going to be run and the results posted this topic will be moved to the Am I Infected forum.  This is the proper location for this topic.  These logs can not be posted in the Windows forums.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/541019/one-user-can-not-browse-on-a-domain-ping-ok/
Relevancy 49.88%

Here are the specs W Pro K PC Domain-Joined Here is the problem I had to delete a User Account so I did so by first removing the account profile and then deleting the user's folder After a Restart I logged back in as the Admin re-added that user's W7 account PC corrupt domain on 32k Possible Pro user profile did a Switch User and logged in as the user Upon quot preparing your Possible corrupt user account on W7 Pro 32k domain PC desktop for first time use quot I recieved an error message in the lower righthand side of the screen that said quot You've been logged on with a temporary profile Any files and folders will not be saved quot I logged off the user account logged back in as the user and the same error message came up I also tried another Restart but each time I attempt to login as that user I get the error message Additionally the user's folder is not listed as an account on the PC it is showing as quot TEMP quot Is there any chance that this proble could reside on the server as opposed to the local PC I am currently in the process of doing a clean install but have never run into this problem before and thought to ask everyone here Thanks

A:Possible corrupt user account on W7 Pro 32k domain PC

Goto HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Currentversion\Profilelist

Can you post a screenshot of the SIDs shown there...

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/260586-possible-corrupt-user-account-w7-pro-32k-domain-pc.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Hello
we had a windows server 2008 Domain network.
now we have deployed a brand new windows server 2012 R2 forest.
so we must disjoin client computers from previous domain and join them to this new domain.
when users of this new domain login to their computers, new profile folder is created for them (e.g. c:\users\u1.newdomain.lab, but this folder definitely doesn't contain their previous profile folder contents (desktop, documents, App data....)
what is the best solution to migrate user profiles from each previous user to related new user without any problem ?
i tried copying the entire profile folder of each user & replace it on the profile folder new user, but some problem arises, when this new user tries to login using this replaced profile folder.
i am not sure is it right forum to ask user profile related question?
thanks in advanced

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/b10cc816-43a6-41a8-9ac0-844d4071dd50/migrating-user-profiles-to-new-domain?forum=w8itprogeneral
Relevancy 49.88%

Hello all - I have a full AD domain set up at home and have been using the client/domain model for a couple of years now. Each of my 4 client PC's is part of the domain along with the 2 user accounts we use here. In the interest of simplifying my home computing "infrastructure", I want to get rid of the servers and go back to a simple approach with my 4 clients, a firewall/switch and the cable modem.

Is there a migration utility that will allow me to take my users' desktop settings/profile from the domain back to just a local workgroup? Do I remove the PC's from the domain, then migrate desktop settings?

Thanks!
M

A:Migrate XP Domain user to Workgroup

You can create and then log in with the new local user account, log off, log in with another admin account. Then copy the domain user's home directory to the new local user's home directory.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/migrate-xp-domain-user-to-workgroup.499240/
Relevancy 49.88%

We have a small organisation with users A website. not User Domain Particular a access Could domain has been created and the domain users can access an Particular Domain User Could not access a website. internal web application with their Digital Key The Web app works only on IE The admin user of the web app can access the Web app without the digital key with username and password The issue we are facing is a particular domain user in a particular PC could not access the web app with admin user account without digital key The same domain user can access the web app as the admin user in other PCs and some other users can access the app with admin account in the same PC Eg User A cannot access the App in the PC P User B can access the App in the PC P User A can access the App in the PC P All the above accesses are by Admin user without digital key IE displays quot Internet Explorer cannot display the Webpage quot error Things I did to resolve the issue Recreated the Domain user account Reset the IE But no luck Please help on this friends Thanks in Advance

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/397573-particular-domain-user-could-not-access-website.html
Relevancy 49.45%

All I have a windows server that controls my windows domain I know I know I'm using old technology I have XP workstations that access network drives on the windows server Now I put my first Win Pro workstation on my network but I didn't join it to the windows domain I just want the win workstation to be able to map a drive from the 2000 Shares HELP! Accessing 7 Windows Windows and Domain windows server I've tried everything I mean everything net use z windows svr share USER user domainname net use z windows svr share USER domainname user Neither worked I also tried this Click start Type regedit Press enter In the left expand these folders HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SYSTEM CurrentControlSet Control HELP! Windows 2000 Domain and Windows 7 Accessing Shares In the left click on HELP! Windows 2000 Domain and Windows 7 Accessing Shares the folder named Lsa In the right double-click quot LmCompatibilityLevel quot Type the number and press enter Restart your computer Click Start Click Control Panel Click System and Maintenance Click Administrative Tools Double-Click Local Security Policy In the left pane click the triangle next to Local Policy In the left pane click Security Options In the right pane near the bottom double-click quot Network security LAN manager authentication level quot Click the drop-down box and click quot Send LM amp NTLM - use NTLMv session security if negotiated quot Click OK NONE OF THIS WORKED CAN ANYONE HELP ME

A:HELP! Windows 2000 Domain and Windows 7 Accessing Shares

Quote: Originally Posted by sekondborn

All....
I have a windows 2000 server that controls my windows domain (I know, I know, I'm using old technology). I have 4 XP workstations that access network drives on the windows 2000 server. Now I put my first Win7 Pro workstation on my network, but I didn't join it to the windows domain. I just want the win7 workstation to be able to map a drive from the windows 2000 server.
I've tried everything! I mean, everything!

net use z: \\windows2000svr\share /USER:[email protected]
net use z: \\windows2000svr\share /USER:domainname\user

Neither worked...
I also tried this...

Click start
Type: regedit
Press enter
In the left, expand these folders: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\
In the left, click on the folder named: Lsa
In the right, double-click "LmCompatibilityLevel"
Type the number 1 and press enter
Restart your computer
Click Start
Click Control Panel
Click System and Maintenance
Click Administrative Tools
Double-Click Local Security Policy
In the left pane, click the triangle next to Local Policy
In the left pane, click Security Options
In the right pane near the bottom, double-click "Network security: LAN manager authentication level"
Click the drop-down box, and click "Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated"
Click OK

NONE OF THIS WORKED!

CAN ANYONE HELP ME!!!

Try using the settings outlined in the link below. The settings listed have been working to allow access into older servers from Windows 7 and 8 machines.

Solved W2K3 Server can access W8 W8 computer cant see W2K server

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/309353-help-windows-2000-domain-windows-7-accessing-shares.html
Relevancy 49.45%

I am new to this forum. So kindly inform me if there is any format in asking queries. It would be helpful in my future queries.
I have an Administrator account. Now i want to create another user account so that others can use my laptop through that account. I want to restrict those users in accessing my documents,folders,files etc and limiting them to certain programs only. I guess this is what is called Setting 'Permissions'.
But i haven't yet understood the clear picture of this. Can anyone explain it in a simple manner and help me out in creating an user account with limited access to my hard drive C and D.

A:How do i block other user account from accessing my folders or files

Hello SysEngineer and welcome to Seven Forums.

You probably want to deny those users permission to access your data. These tutorials hsould help.

Permissions - Allow or Deny Users and Groups

Block Drives, Folders, and Files from Other 7/Vista User Accounts [How To] | Windows 7 Security | Windows Tools, Help & Guides

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/270492-how-do-i-block-other-user-account-accessing-my-folders-files.html
Relevancy 49.45%

I had a virus hit my vps that kept changing my password preventing me or my vps admin from logging in to do anything My vps admin switched me to a new vps desktop and added my old vps desktop as drive E so I could try and access my files at least I could technically access the old E user admin desktop from my new desktop but the virus had deleted hid virtually all user/profile? Unhide accessing Help original working not of my old desktop files Someone from mwb support kindly guided me thru the process of getting rid of the nasty stuff from that drive using dr web found dubrute and some other crap pretty nasty Since the virus was no longer active and therefor could not Help accessing original user/profile? Unhide not working change my passwords and lock me out anymore my vps admin put me back directly onto my old vps desktop I thought all would be well and I could try and run unhide exe and get my stuff back or find a system restore point and do it that way My problem is that he seems unable to get me directly logged in as the original user profile admin where all my desktop stuff is and from what I was told where I need to directly run unhide exe for it to have any chance for effect I was setup with multiple user names to get access including a new Administrator but my vps admin is unable to help me further to connect to the original admin I hope that makes sense as I find it very confusing myself yet I ve done the best I could to post what I m dealing with in hopes of getting my files back I have run unhide exe and checked out the main thread on it to no avail I do not remember seeing anything called fakehdd but I dont know what other names it could be under besides I dont understand why it would change my pass and lock me out I cant buy their bogus tool if I cant login and see that my stuff is gone Any ideas or if you need further clarification just let me know Thanks

A:Help accessing original user/profile? Unhide not working

Hello and sorry you seemed to have gotten skipped,if you still need help .....We need a deeper look. Please go here....Preparation Guide ,do steps 6-9.Create a DDS log and post it in the new topic explained in step 9 which is here Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs and not in this topic,thanks.If GMER won't run (it may not on a 64 bit system) skip it and move on.Let me know if that went well.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/458687/help-accessing-original-userprofile-unhide-not-working/
Relevancy 49.45%

Hi I have a computer running Windows Vista Home Premium where I have setup an Accessing services User Account from Solved: administrative administrative account and a user account I have also setup parental control over the user Solved: Accessing administrative services from User Account account Now when logged in the user account I try to open a blocked website or any other blocked system resource for that matter I am presented with UAC dialog asking me to enter my administrative credentials in order to continue Solved: Accessing administrative services from User Account And so I enter the credentials and I am allowed access to that service Now the problem is the user can now Solved: Accessing administrative services from User Account access this service again and again without UAC asking for administrative credentials So how to I lock the service s again back to the way it was so that the user cannot use that blocked service again For example take the following scenario A normal user is not allowed to access the folder contents of Administrators or other users in the Users folder But it asks for admin credentials in order to access it If I do enter the admin credentials then it remains accessible for the normal user How do I lock the normal user account back so that he can no longer access other users folders behind my back And this is happening to not just folders but all of the services which require admin credentials like parental control bypass program installation etc which I dont want the normal user to have access to Is there a way to lock the account again automatically or manually so that the User can no longer access administrative services Regards Robin nbsp