Windows Support Forum

Two hard drives

Q: Two hard drives

Hi I have bought a laptop for my daughter its harddrive is 750gb but when I found it it is two hard drives.one initialled OS and the other data how is this supposed to work.regards Martin

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Two hard drives

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Two hard drives

I know some manufactures have different ways they produce their setups, but most of the time its a partition and not another hard drive. What it does is store the System Backup / Restore on one partition so that you can reset the laptop to factory settings and the main "hard drive" (usually C prompt) is the partition you use on a daily basis. Unless you physically looked inside the laptop and saw 2 different hard drives, it should be just one hard drive that is split partitions. What is the make and model of this laptop? We can determine what setup you have with that information.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/two-hard-drives.204210/
Relevancy 55.47%

Recently I formatted all the hard drives on my Gateway MX6214 Notebook computer.

When I attempt to install Windows XP it says the Setup cannot continue because no hard drives were found.

Obviously, the hard drives are in working condition because I also checked with some bootable diagnostic tools and the hard drives are check. But now it seems the "internal?" drivers on the hard drives have also been deleted during the format, so WINXP cannot recognize during installation. Same goes for installation of the OS Ubuntu =/

I do not have the original diagnostic cd that came with the notebook.

Are there any solutions anyone can point me towards?

A:Formatted Hard Drives, Trying to install Windows XP but no recognition of hard drives

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/formatted-hard-drives-trying-to-install-windows-xp-but-no-recognition-of-hard-drives.727410/
Relevancy 53.75%

Hi,
I currently have 2 PATA hard drives installed in my system that both run off the same IDE ribbon cable. My MSI MS-7184 motherboard has 2 SATA connections and 2 SATA power supplies available. Would I benefit much by upgrading my hardrives to SATA ones? One of them holds the operating system and programs etc (160GB) and the other stores my mp3's (320GB). Would there be much speed gained or not enough for me to notice? Also would data be transferred faster if my PATA drives had one IDE cable each instead of sharing one? I seem to have 2 IDE connections on the motherboard.

Relevancy 53.75%

i have 2 HD's laying around. 1 2.1 GB and 1 10.0 GB, the 2.1 has Win. 95 on it, and the 10.0 has Win. 98SE on it. if i get a computer without a HD, and it need 1, can i put on of the HD's in it, and it will work? or....

A:Solved: hard drives with OS, wanting to put in computer wit no hard drives

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-hard-drives-with-os-wanting-to-put-in-computer-wit-no-hard-drives.443986/
Relevancy 53.75%

i am going home for winter break and i wanted to take over some videos i had on my hard drive, but the problem is that it is an internal hard drive, and i want to be able to transfer the data to a laptop. Is there a way that you can turn an internal hard drive into an external hard drive? Or is there a piece of hardware that will alow me to do this?

Relevancy 50.31%

I am running Windows XP SP3 right now on a Lenovo 7650-ELU and experiencing some odd problems. For some reason, the laptop I have will not recognize USB Flash Drives that I put into it or External Hard Drives. I know that the USB ports work correctly, because I have plugged in optical mouses and keyboards that work. I searched the forums and didn't see anything like this.

It's odd how when I first insert them, it makes the sound and shows the icon in the taskbar that would allow me to safely remove the device, but nothing else. So far, I have gone into the device manager and uninstalled all the USB ports and restarted hoping this would solve my problem, but it continues to do the same thing.

If anyone has some helpful advise, please post. I appreciate all the help.

Cheers!

A:USB Ports Don't Recognize Flash Drives or External Hard Drives

Has it ever worked before?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/usb-ports-dont-recognize-flash-drives-or-external-hard-drives-335404.html
Relevancy 50.31%

A Moderator has Moved your thread to our Windows forum as there are some things you need to know in order to rescue data you probably need and some drives way any of pull hard there to Is independently? data off drives/storage other stuff you shouldl be aware Is there any way to pull data off of hard drives/storage drives independently? of help should arrive soon My hard drive won t boot and SMART says it s BAD backup and replace quot I can t replace it now no money so I was wondering if there s a way to get Windows completely pulled off the drive Is there any way to pull data off of hard drives/storage drives independently? from its sectors and transferred to another storage drive WITHOUT the hard drive connected to a motherboard no BIOS etc Just independent of its self with the jumper power to start it can data be physically removed from it without it being connected to a motherboard Is there any way something like this can be done Because here s what I want to do I want to clear the hard drive and keep its files the OS and other files on it move them to another storage drive then boot them from say a GB USB drive and install them on a new hard drive from there Will something like this work Assuming I boot from the USB with a new functioning hard drive installed can I just sort of quot move quot the OS to the new empty hard drive to install it there What are the steps of doing this exactly I m not skilled experienced in this area at all nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/is-there-any-way-to-pull-data-off-of-hard-drives-storage-drives-independently.1060461/
Relevancy 49.88%

My Windows 10 Home laptop will recognize all of my flash drives but won't recognize any of my external hard drives. They all use to show up but now they aren't. The hard drives show up in disk manager but won't show up in file explorer. I hooked them up to other laptops & they all show up. I've tried uninstalling drivers & reinstalling them but It hasn't worked. Any ideas?

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/66530-flash-drives-recognized-but-external-hard-drives-not.html
Relevancy 49.88%

I ve got an old Dell Inspiron PC that into Plugging Cable? to IDE Optical Drives' Drives Hard the office uses as shared storage printer server etc and it s been having issues seeing Plugging Hard Drives into to Optical Drives' IDE Cable? USB drives correctly Although the laser printer that s on USB has never ever had a problem Yesterday it dawned on me that instead of plugging in the extra drives I need I could put another couple of hard drives in in place of the optical drives that are never used on that machine So after a bit vague googling it seemed this was possible so I went ahead and removed both optical drives replacing them with hard drives Plugging Hard Drives into to Optical Drives' IDE Cable? so now the PC has internal drives and they work You wouldn t believe the hassle I ve had with NetworkAttachedStorage and various different USB drives while figuring out that this machine doesn t like USB drives The thing is the drives seem to be running really slowly Is this because CD drives won t need to receive data as fast as hard drives do Is there any way of setting it Plugging Hard Drives into to Optical Drives' IDE Cable? up to send data faster to these drives nbsp

Relevancy 49.88%

I have a new computer plus a couple of other computers and I have some external hard drives and flash drives. what is the best way to check these devices to make sure they are clean, will just connecting them and viewing them or running AV and other security checks propose a risk to the computer that is checking?
Thanks for any advise!

A:External Hard drives and flash drives security

zformer,

You can consider the use of the Panda Vaccine on your computer and USB Drives:
Download Panda USB and AutoRun Vaccine - MajorGeeks

This tool provides a two way security by vaccinating both computer and/or USB drives.
It work on NTFS, FAT, FAT32 formatted drives.
However, vaccinating a USB drive cannot be undone without formatting the USB disk, using a hex editor, or a File Manager in a Linux distribution..

Next, make sure that your Antivirus can scan USB drives. Some do not have this option.

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/361360-external-hard-drives-flash-drives-security.html
Relevancy 49.88%

I set up a new computer. Windows 7 Pro 64x
Everything was fine but then I connected a flash drive to it and I get:

Location Not Available
H:\ is not accessible. Access is denied

If I go into the properties to the ?security? tab, it says ?you do not have permission to view or edit this object?s permission settings?

If I go into the ?owner? tab of Advanced Security Settings, current owner says ?Unable to display current owner?
This is on every flash drive and portable hard drive on all 4 usb ports.
I am logged in as the administrator and there is not even another user account on the computer
I?ve run sfc /scannow

I?m absolutely stumped. I?ve never had this happen on any computer where I couldn?t use an external device.

This is not my computer so I?ll have to do whatever remotely.

Thank you for the help.

A:All Flash Drives & External Hard Drives NOT ACCESSIBLE?

Sometimes when I plug in a USB Thumb/Flash drive I get a message about "this device can perform faster if plugged into a USB 2 port" so I shut the computer down and pull the power cord and USB devices from the back of it. After waiting a bit I put everything back and all is good.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/354251-all-flash-drives-external-hard-drives-not-accessible.html
Relevancy 49.02%

I have windows 7 pro and recently I have not been able to open up a new folder on any external hard drive or flash drive that I use with my computer. When I use these same flash and external hard drives in another computer it works fine, my initial thought is, there is something disabled in my system or some program is blocking me when I try to create a new folder in my drives. need advice and help.

A:Flash drives and external hard drives

It may be your explorer. Run a sfc /scannow in Command Prompt

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/315742-flash-drives-external-hard-drives.html
Relevancy 49.02%

I just recently built a new system running an Intel Q9550 quad core 8 GB of ram and Vista Home Premium x64. Everything works flawlessly except for connecting external hard drives and thumb drives through the usb port. I've tried multiple hard drives/thumb drives on multiple ports on the front and back with it working only once for the thumb drive. Usually Vista keeps sounding the device connect and device disconnect dongs for a few minutes and then every once in a while says the drive needs to be formatted, but the drives work fine on my Laptop that's running Vista Home Premium 32-bit. Is this a common problem with x64 or is there something wrong with my system?

thanx

A:USB hard drives/thumb drives to work

when I hook the usb thumb drive to the usb port on my printer, Vista recognizes it and lets me see the files on the drive, it also lets me copy a file to it but then freezes after it finishes copying (the copy window has a full progress bar and say "about 0 seconds remaining".

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/198621-usb-hard-drives-thumb-drives-work.html
Relevancy 49.02%

I have several old hard drives, taken from previouse CPU's. Is there anyway in which I can use them as external hard drives or be able to read what is stored on them, without hooking up INSIDE my CPU ?

Relevancy 49.02%

I opened my computer the other day and when I clicked "computer" to go to my mapped networks drives to my surprise there are no hard drives or mapped drives displayed anymore.

Even when I go "open" in excel for example I don't see the drives.

I tried uninstalling sp1 in hope it would fix the problem but it did not. When I go into disk management I see my hard drives.

Is there a way to fix this? I have Vista Home Premium

Thanks

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/hard-drives-and-mapped-drives-missing-295022.html
Relevancy 49.02%

I already found out the hard way that flash drives don't have a registry in which I can install a program to it, and run it on other computers, unless the program is a lite program. Is there a way to make it more flexible in the sense of creating a registry for it?

Next question; Do external hard drives have a registry? Could I install games and or programs to an external and run them directly from it? Is there a way to create a registry for it if it does not have one?
Anyone that has anything else to possibly add, I'm more than happy to explore any and all options, so don't be shy!

Help is appreciated, thanks in advance!

A:External hard drives / flash drives.

i do not know the particulars of it but yes it is possible to copy/paste a programme file from c drive ,programme files, onto flash drive and run it, i do it myself

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drives-flash-drives.930251/
Relevancy 47.3%

I have just recently changed my PSU. I now have conflict with the hard drives and the DVD ROM and CD RW. When i plug the main wire in (the wide wire which goes to the motherboard from the drives) it seems to freeze the computer. As i do this, there is a change in noise coming from the computer it seems to go quieter. I think that when i plug the drives in it takes most of the power away from the hard drives therefore they are unable to run. I am running a 400w PSU for a P3.

Am i right in saying this, if so what can i do to over come this? I have been advise that it might be the jumpers on the CD RW and DVD ROM but i haven't changes these plus i do no what/how these work. Could this be a/the problem?

Thank you

A:Conflict between hard drives and cd drives

That would be the IDE cable and they have to be connected to PIN#1 of the drive to pin #1 of the cable there is a colored strip on one edge of the cable that connects to PIN#1 of the drive when connecting the drive the colored strip should be closest to you. Also please don't tell me your connecting cables with the PC powered up. IDE drive can also be daisy chained (two drives on each channel Master and slave)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/conflict-between-hard-drives-and-cd-drives.178966/
Relevancy 46.87%

At start up I am getting the blue screen which says "remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers"

I did take out the hard drive and connected it to another computer using a sata to usb cable, but the drive was not recognized so I put the hard drive back.

Now when I am unable to boot up. It is a windows 7 64bit.

A:BSOD -Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers

Please upload the BSOD Posting Instructions http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/96879-blue-screen-death-bsod-posting-instructions.html. Upload the files here, this will tell you how. http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/9733-screenshots-files-upload-post-seven-forums.html

Also, please give us a better explanation so we will understand what you did.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/375064-bsod-remove-any-newly-installed-hard-drives-hard-drive-controllers.html
Relevancy 46.87%

Hey Guys,
I have a Dell XPS 600 with 2 160GB hard drives that mirror each other and would like to be able to reinstall the operating system but I'm not sure how to configure the RAID option. I would like to reinstall the O.S. either on one and keep the other as storage , or keep them mirrored and reinstall the O.S. I am using original Dell XP Media Center Edition 2005 disk. Thanks

A:Solved: Hard drives mirrored, need to configure raid for one hard drive

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-hard-drives-mirrored-need-to-configure-raid-for-one-hard-drive.869554/
Relevancy 46.87%

Please advise,
I installed a HGST 500 gb hard drive on my Dell E6410 Latitude Laptop.
But it says:
No Boot device found! Can't go to BIOS either!
Re installed the original and it works fine!
Wish to know whether the HGST is compatible with Dell Latitude.
THank you.

A:HGST Laptop hard drivesvs Dell E6410 Hard drives.

It won't boot until you install an operating system (windows) on it. however you should be able to get to BIOS.
this one click here

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forum/windows-29/hgst-laptop-hard-drivesvs-dell-e6410-hard-drives-4602079/
Relevancy 46.87%

So the machine I am working with is a consumer line Dell Inspiron E with Windows XP Media Center and the latest A bios It came with a GB sata hard drive that was almost full and wanted to upgrade to a larger drive I grabbed a brand new Seagate GB hard drive I booted up Acronis and attempted to clone to from a GB drive to a GB Everything looked perfect It saw all four partitions from the source drive and once done showed that for the destination as well I shut off the computer install the new hard and proceed to boot The computer attempted it. Virus cloned of Disk drives. Permanently HPA Locks Modifies damaging and hard Hard to boot but then received a stop x b error unmountable boot volume for those unfamilar Common issue when cloning disk so Virus Permanently Modifies HPA of Hard Disk cloned and Locks it. damaging hard drives. I proceeded to boot to an XP disk so I could repair the Windows install Once it booted up I noticed the drive was shown as a GB hard drive the brand new GB drive I restarted the machine checked the bios and it saw the drive as a GB hard drive I pulled the drive and hooked it to four other machine that all stated the disk was now a GB hard drive We checked disk management booted to several hard drive testing tools and even poped it into a linux environment Virus Permanently Modifies HPA of Hard Disk cloned and Locks it. damaging hard drives. The drive had been Permanently changed to a GB disk To my disbelief I started investigating I tried another GB new hard drive this time with ghost booted from win Same process everything seemed perfect Reboot dosnt start I check the BIOS This drive as well has been Permanently changed to a GB Keep in mind at this point the original hard still boots perfect Goes to Windows just low on disk space Next attempt I try to clone the drive in a different environment to rule out the possibility the machine was causing the issue I pulled the hard drive and grabbed yet another hard drive i have two I need to RMA now I cloned the disk using a Windows based Ghost and it succeeded as well I looked through the partitions and data and everything looked fine I loaded the disk into the machine and got an quot XLDR ATA Error quot I decided to go straight to bios and the replacement drive GB this time is alos a GB hard drive I have now bricked three perfectly working hard drives I have formatted diskparted and everything else inbetween I had to find out what the problem and decided to dig a little deeper I took one of the GB cloned drives I had and I grabbed a copy of MHDD and proceeded to check the drive out After a little digging I found out that HPA had been modified to show this smaller size I had found where it recognized the full limit of the drive The command NHPA resets the drive back to it native max address limit IT attempted to run but failed I tried to unlock the drive and that didnt work either I tried a tool to manually set the sector count back to it s original size and that failed as well So that s most of the story Here are some details Iv e discovered The problem persist once the drive is inserted into the machine and turned on Once cloned the cloned drive shows a RAW filesystem I have used different branded drives and sized drives Western Digital GB Seagate GB Samsung GB It changes the drives serial number to quot j quot where is often random letters or numbers Orginal Drive Sector Count - Cloned Drive Sector Count - Please ask any questions that you need I am trying a few more things to see if I can get this working I have also found this fourm that is about pages long unresolved that may be helpful In the fourm they talk about a Dell Media Direct issue that im more than familiar with I don t think this is what is causing the issue as I have the latest BIOS A and I did the clone in another unit and the same thing still happened http www computerhope com forum index php topic htmlMy personal thought is that a boot sector virus is doing this Help me with your thoughts

A:Virus Permanently Modifies HPA of Hard Disk cloned and Locks it. damaging hard drives.

After some more research I have figured this out. I can post what the fix was if anyone is interested. It was NOT a virus, it was Dell Media Direct.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/457630/virus-permanently-modifies-hpa-of-hard-disk-cloned-and-locks-it-damaging-hard-drives/
Relevancy 46.87%

I'm making an inquiry for a friend..

She has a computer with 2 hard drives.
The problem began with a 'screen error' saying to check the monitor connection. She bought a new monitor and had the same error message.

She then began having hard drive read/write errors. Thinking she may have gotten a virus, she wiped both her hard drives and reformatted.

When she tries to reinstall XP it gets about half way through and gives her the read/write error again and will not complete installation. This is true for both of the hard drives.

So far she's tried cleaning the connections on her 4 memory sticks (while grounded) and still cannot reinstall Windows due to the read/write error.

What is your suggestion for her next step since she has no working operating system from which to run tests?

Relevancy 46.44%

While looking into another possible problem with a hard drive on my system I began unplugging the devices there are four of them to isolate the problem and in doing so I I seriously corrupted C drive and began getting x b BSOD messages First I tried to do a System Repair with the Repair disk It didn't work I have a cloned version on an other HD for just such an occasion so I attempted to boot from it No dice which surprised me Remembering that one of the options in repair involved such a disk I attempted to fix it that way It refused to recognize it as well I sat and waited a moment to consider my next move when the computer rebooted Ok let Win Hard Drive? now x64 separate run drives Two Virtual hard A 7 it run and upon finishing POST now I have Win Win XP my dual boot and Win Ultimate Recovered as my boot choices Win Recovered runs A Virtual Hard Drive? Two separate hard drives now run Win 7 x64 but Win does not XP still runs thank god but here's the rub if I disconnect either of the drives my original C drive with the original installation or this cloned drive J Drive the system will not boot Further any updates say to the video driver A Virtual Hard Drive? Two separate hard drives now run Win 7 x64 installs to Drive J but it is obvious from running checks with EasyBCD and Security Essentials some of the information is coming from C some from J therefore the quot Virtual quot name in the title They are both contributing to the boot I am tempted to leave it but it isn't totally complete For instance I cannot install updates the Windows Installer can't be found I ran several checks and attempts on that as well I tried using Zip to get system files and that wouldn't work either Before deciding to reinstall from scratch as well as searching out the HD with indicated bad blocks I would like to see if I can get that clone to work If it is a matter of a missing MBR or perhaps corrupted EasyBCD may be able to deal with it but I am not experienced with it One other thing A few days earlier the computer rebooted itself without a BSOD The Logs gave a Critical Level entry Kernel Power Event I hope I've made this plain enough so ask away System Specs Asus M A TD AMD AthlonIIx GHz G memory ATI Video card Win Ultimate x Thank you

A:A Virtual Hard Drive? Two separate hard drives now run Win 7 x64

Do you have an Advanced Format (AF) drive or a drive greater than 2.2TB on your machine. For some reason WIN 7 ASSUMES that you want to use the AF drive rather than a different drive that you may have specified. This happens whether you are trying to do a new clean install or a repair on an already existing installation. Also, WIN 7 does this with no warning leaving you to ASSUME that you made the new install or repair where you wanted it.

I have very recently experienced the exact same problem when I updated my motherboard and processor.

Even though I did a sysprep on my old install to prepare for the new motherboard, WIN 7 still struggled with the 3TB drives. I tried a few times to 'repair' my install, but then again WIN 7 put the repaired install on another drive.

The only way that I found to prevent WIN 7 from defaulting to the AF drives was to unplug them completely. By this time, my old installation had become so corrupted thay I finally had to resort to a new install instead of the easy migration I had expected.

Once I removed the AF drives, the new install went completely smooth with no other phantom or otherwise installs on the AF drives.

I did have backup copies of my system on an image on an 'Acronis Secure Zone' (ASZ) partition, but with a clean install of WIN 7, once I told Acronis to use the ASZ, it deleted the backups and created a new empty ASZ.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/197558-virtual-hard-drive-two-separate-hard-drives-now-run-win-7-x64.html
Relevancy 46.44%

I have a system and internal hard drives The drvies are GB GB and GB but my system only recognizes GB GB and GB respectively Tha tis about a loss of space for each drive gigs lost in total That s a lot of hard on space hard of drive ALL 7% lost drives... space None of the drives are partitioned and it s not and HP or other like system It s a custom built PC I only have an OS WINXP installed on my C drive the GB drive No matter how I connect these drives on-borad IDE or IDE controller card my 7% of hard drive space lost on ALL hard drives... system will not recognize the full space of any hard 7% of hard drive space lost on ALL hard drives... drive I install on my system The is slave to the and the is on an ATA controller card Promise Technologies all by itself All are Western Digital The is a special edition and I recommend you stay away from WD special edition HDs I have had to swap it for a refurb times in years This is the first time I have installed it on a newer computer though so I hope it does not break like it did on my old ancient system times My old system was and AMD Duron with M RAM but I digress So is there a way to get back this gigs of missing HD space or is this just the way it is with WINXP Thanks in advance BTW my MB is an ASUS P P SE with a Cerleron D MHz in case any of that matters nbsp

Relevancy 43.86%

Howdy folks.

I am looking at buying a new PC & have the option of having multiple Hard Drives.

Would it be best to have two separate Seagate 1TB SSHD Hybrid Hard Drives or just one Seagate 2TB SSHD Hybrid Hard Drive?

Both Hard Drives are of the same make & have the same speeds. Just curious if two Hard Drives are better than one, even if the storage capacity is ultimately the same.

I was thinking of having one Hard Drive for general use (operating system & games) and the other for music production (DAW & plug-ins).

Any feed back would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks

Relevancy 43.86%

Hi. I currently have two new drives installed on my computer. I have a EVO SSD Drive (250G) and a 1 TB hard drive. What would be the the correct way of putting all my downloaded files onto the Hard Disk? Do I go into each folder and select the hard drive letter...(my guess that wouldn't be the right way). I am running windows 8.1. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

A:Two hard drives SSD and Hard Disk

What would be the the correct way of putting all my downloaded files onto the Hard Disk?Click to expand...

For future downloads specify a folder on the hard drive as the download folder.

For files you've already downloaded elsewhere copy or move them to the hard drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/two-hard-drives-ssd-and-hard-disk.1121398/
Relevancy 43%

Greetings group I have a month old hard drive that failed on my desktop PC taking My Documents with years worth of data I had just moved the folder to the new drive and hadn't gotten a chance to backup yet I'm trying to check Recycle bins on my External hard drives to see if I ever had even a partial Documents folder on one of them Recycle show Hard Hard on Bin(s) Local External Recycle Drives Drive Problem Recycle Bin(s) on External Hard Drives show Local Hard Drive Recycle All of my external hard drives have multiple recycle bins Recycle Bin(s) on External Hard Drives show Local Hard Drive Recycle All of the recycle bins show the same content as my local C Drive on my laptop I am attaching screenshots for your review One shot is of the recycle bins on external drive the other shot is a screenshot of the recycle bins on my C drive on Recycle Bin(s) on External Hard Drives show Local Hard Drive Recycle laptop I'm logged in as Administrator because my normal login cannot access any of these recycle bins And my normal login is in the Admin group Using Windows Explorer as Administrator I'm unable to see the Recycle bins I can see them with my regular login Very odd I'm so desperate for help Any ideas appreciated Thanks for any help

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/42081-recycle-bin-s-external-hard-drives-show-local-hard-drive-recycle.html
Relevancy 42.14%

I have a few old drives that I wanted to hook up and pull some old pics and things off of...I was able to get two of them to be recognized but not the other two. I have the jumpers set to CS but it doesn't seem to be working. Should I change my master from CS to master and then slave the old drives.

A:Old hard drives

I run into that very problem frequently. Just yesterday I had to change a Dell's hard disks from cable-select to master and slave to get the extra disk recognized.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/old-hard-drives.666051/
Relevancy 42.14%

i have an 5400 rpm 1tb hard rive in my computer with windows 10 but i want to move it onto a 320 gb 7200 rpm how do i do so? And also on my computer it says i have two ram slots but i can only see one, is there another one or is the computer wrong?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Hard-Drives-And-RAM/td-p/5753570
Relevancy 42.14%

My Master Booot Record is infected with a virus and i cant use my machine i tryed to use C:\>fdisk /mbr but that didnt work i need to know if any one can help me get it off my machine

A:hard drives

Hi babieboy, Welcome to TSG !!!
Try this site it should help!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drives.81962/
Relevancy 42.14%

Ok I have my 20 gig drive that I have windows on and I wont my 250gig for extra programs and games but when I plug my 250gig to my slave and reboot it says put in boot disk, I wont my 20 gig drive to boot first how would I do that or do I put my 20gig in my slave and my 250gig in master?

Relevancy 42.14%

Don't ask me how, but I recently got a virus (scit.exe) on my system. after a bit of searching online I found an anti-viral software called reg-run. Brilliant! Got rid of virus very efficiently. So efficiently that it got rid of a few things with it. along with a few files (no getting those back), I also have the following problems I need help with:
- My Computer shows no Hard Drives
- Typing C:/ in the address bar works fine but D:/ (my CD drive) does nothing (Please Insert Disc) *
- Inbuilt Search is gone but Google Desktop is ok
- Run is gone *
- No Autorun for CDs
- It wont read CDs at all unless its a game that was installed already, in which case it works fine. *
- And my SoundCard isn't working. Stac97.sys or something is gone too!

The ones with the * are big problems.

Please help me!

Relevancy 42.14%

Guys,

I just made an upgrade from Vista to Win 7 ulitmate.

My SSD Drive is 57.5 GIGs which is my OS drive. There is an old hidden partition on it.

Previous install (Vista) used 28 GIG.

When I upgraded to 7 the total use is now 51 GIG.
I have hardly no software installed on that drives.

The funny part is when I boot up, the drive properties windows sometimes shows up 29 GIG used. That happens once every thrid boot.

I tried everyting to clean that drive but it seems that I missing one item somewhere.

SO my question is : How can I make sure that my drive is clean?

F.

A:Hard Drives

Welcome!

Boot up your Windows DVD, and select Repair My Computer. Open a command prompt, and enter the following:

diskpart
list disk
select disk [number of the disk you want to clean]
clean

That will delete all partitions. You can then install onto the unallocated space.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/84884-hard-drives.html
Relevancy 42.14%

Hi,

This is my first post, never done this before on the internet, am wondering what sort of response there will be. Please do not rubbish me!!!

I have another computer operating on Windows XP. I have another hard drive and would like to fit it and have it running Ubuntu. The actual fitting of the second drive is no problem but how do I arrange the controls so that I am able to switch from one OS to another.

Is this feasible or am I barking up the wrong tree??

A:Two Hard Drives

When you install Ubuntu it will install a bootloader, GRUB, that will have a boot time menu that allows you to choose between booting Windows or Ubuntu.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/two-hard-drives.75085/
Relevancy 42.14%

This is a hypothetical question.

How do you make two independent hard drives of the same make, model and volume act as one hard drive?

A:Hard drives

By having them in an array (RAID/JBOD).

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/130822-hard-drives.html
Relevancy 42.14%

I know: it's been discussed before, and many times, but I still haven't managed to find an answer to the external hard drives and 7 question, despite hours of searching and trying.
But maybe someone on here's found a solution to the External (USB) Hard Drive (or memory card) Stops Responding When Moving Or Copying Files To It question, so thought I'd give it a go.
Anyone?

A:Hard Drives and 7

Could you elaborate on the details please.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/78548-hard-drives-7-a.html
Relevancy 42.14%

Hi folks I know you have prolly drives Hard heard this one more times than you can count but I could do with some help with this one My hard drive is going south an I am looking to replace it Looking on the net I am not stuck for choice What is the best hard drive make and also the one with the most instructions What I would like to do is install a new drive say GB then copy Hard drives some of the Hard drives stuff off the old one the O S some files programs etc then ditch the old drive before it gives up Hard drives on me completley an I lose all me files I have a realively slow p c Windows se Time - D DVD MHz GB RAM MB ATI RAGE PRO GRAPHICS X DVD ROM DRIVE D NOW TECHNOLOGY I dont mind getting the right drive from the net but I would prefer it to be in the UK so I can chase them if some thing goes wrong Thanks in advance Ian nbsp

Relevancy 42.14%

Generally which hard drive would have windows on it? one with 250GB or one with 36.7GB

You could install an os on either one. However from your post, I am assuming the smaller one is an old raptor drive or perhaps a scsi drive. This is going to be faster than the 250gig one and you should probably use that one for the os and basic apps. Use the large drive for storage, backups, etc.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drives.685636/
Relevancy 42.14%

Simple Qusestions - I hope:

1 Can i install a large HDD say 60GIG - i have WIN98SE ?
2 I have DVD, CD Zip HDD etc - how many devices can i attach to each IDE channel and where can i get the cables (UK) - or can you attach those clips that provide another outlet on an existing cable. Do additional devices cause speed reductions ?

Thanks in advance

Steve

Hello Steven , each IDE channel can handle two drives and your OS wont stop you from using a large hard drive . . any modern hard drive will come with the software you need to do the install . you can get the cables at any place that carries any computer stuff , on or off the net . any mom and pop local place will have them . I dont know about those clips but most IDE cables have two conections . additional devices will not slow things , the more things that are running at the same time the more is asked of your CPU , but these things dont put much of a strain and only the devices that are active put any at all .

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drives.102628/
Relevancy 42.14%

I figure it's as many IDE channels as you have but I'm not sure. I need to have 3 hard drives on my motherboard for data copying purposes. Thanks

Relevancy 42.14%

The moderator has made a Hard drives statement about the life of use of a Hard Drive years I wish at least in my experience All the people that have Hard Drive problems come on this site or others with real problems and usually end up changing their Hard Drives and going through the bother of setting up all over again and there are many The ones that experience these glitches are normal peoples who are PO when it happens and seek help on sites such as this to fix them in my opioion There has to be some truth in their seeking help because there are so many of US It is a machine that looks up information colours and collects our photos and files that interest us we are simple folk looking to be amazed at what this desk side machine will do Then why is it so Hard drives difficult Making it simple is just too hard for HP or DELL Every-one of the soft-ware peoples have us by the short and curlies and then there are the HACKERS and the REGISTRY and in my opioion they are the same My computer is about to fail Hard drives again times in the last years and some will say BO WHO and you would be correct HP are you the problem John are you the problem Registry are you the problem Why is it always so hard JOHN POed

Most of the time it is the user that causes these issues.

What is it that you do on your computer, and why have you had so many failures?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/291231/hard-drives/
Relevancy 42.14%

I upgraded my I hard tp. like drives go through computer I put in an aopen board and and amd chip in my computer and am using the the same gig hard drive I had on the board I gave away I I go through hard drives like tp. tried to upgrade someone elses computer w my Asus a v x board w the same k of ram that worked perfectly in my computer When installed the board in the persons I go through hard drives like tp. computer the persons original hard drive stopped working I used and old one and it booted up They went out and bought an gig seagate and put it in I was still waiting for my chip to come in but to set him up I had my old amd chip in my old board and loaded xp on it When I left the computer it was working fine I recieved my chip today and when I took the chip out of my computer and put it in theirs the computer would start to boot but would freeze to a black blank screen and not boot into windows I tried everything to get it to work switching jumpers etc I took that seagate and put it in my computer and it would not boot up either I took my good hard drive in my computer and put into theirs and I would boot up to the safe mode selection screen No matter what I selected the system would just reboot I m at my wits end Any Ideas by the way his power supply is only watts and he is waiting for his new one could someone pls explain what is happening Thanks Magoo nbsp

A:I go through hard drives like tp.

Howdy Magoo79...

IMHO I would wait untill the new power supply gets in, 135w is way under powered, for the system...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-go-through-hard-drives-like-tp.159475/
Relevancy 42.14%

I have a Windows Vista Home Premium PC that originally came with my PC. It's a 32 bit OS. I now have same hard drive but will like to upgrade the new hard drive to Windows 7 and use the current hard drive (Win Vista) as a backup. Can I dual boot from both hard drives?

A:Two hard drives in one PC

Yes, I had the same setup at one stage. Use BCDEdit in command prompt or EasyBCD windows application to setup your boot order.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/two-hard-drives-in-one-pc-500750.html
Relevancy 42.14%

Hi, I have a computer with Windows ME installed on the slave drive,and I just installed Windows XP Home on the Master drive. what i would like to be able to do is use either OS i want. Rght now I can use the XP home OS but not the Windows ME OS. I can open the drive with Windows ME on it by going to the my computer and clicking on it but I can not use the Windows ME OS. How can I set it up so it lets me use either OS. Thanks a lot for your help. Ted

Relevancy 42.14%

I've got a working computer with XP on the hard drive. I have a second non working computer with a formatted drive. The non working comp is not reading the hard drive when trying to install vista. When i put the formated drive in the working comp, it reads it as working. Can I unplug my working hard dirve and hook up the other to install vista and then transfer the drive to the non working comp and still have the original hard drive work as it was or will it mess with the motherboard?

A:2 hard drives, different os

You most likely won't be able to make that transfer after installing Vista, unless you are able to get into the hardware device manager of the non-working computer and delete the hardware/drivers most likely to cause issues. If both motherboards are of the same "Chipset", you will have a better chance of the swap working for you. Here's an article showing how to make such a transfer without re-installing Windows:

http://time4tech.com/article11.html

--
When you say "non working computer", what exactly do you mean? What's preventing it from "working"?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/2-hard-drives-different-os.928597/
Relevancy 42.14%

I know viruses cause problems, but why else would a 180GB hard drive just all of the sudden go kaput? It's less than 2 years old!!

A:How do hard drives go bad?

First, the average MTBF (Mean Time Between Failures) for HDs historically is
FIVE years when operated 24/7.
Second, they are electro-mechanical devices and parts do fail. Even a brand new HD
will be shipped with sectors that are flagged by the MFG as do-not-use
and when/if you surface test, you may create still more. In the early days
('80s) it was common to HDs with 100s of bad blocks while few came with ZERO

Factors that contribute to HD failure: Overheating, physical abuse
(eg dropping a laptop), forced shutdown which then need CHKDSK /F
to get running again, power outages or unstable voltages, and like people, aging.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-hard-drives-go-bad.47504/
Relevancy 42.14%

Hey guys thats it It s official as I m building my first gaming computer My build is complete and is as follows Case Azza Solano Mobo Asus Sabertooth Z CPU Intel i K to use What way hard best the is drives? SSD/HDD my CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper EVO RAM G x G Corsair Vengeance DDR Mhz Video Card XFX Raedon HD G Sound Card On board sound atm Will eventually What is the best way to use my hard drives? SSD/HDD upgrade as needed Optical Drive Samsung DVD drive Will eventually upgrade as needed What is the best way to use my hard drives? SSD/HDD cant beat PSU OCZ ModXStream Pro Watt OCZ Hard Drive s Not sure What is the best way to use my hard drives? SSD/HDD which as I need some advice Some of my parts have been shipped some of my parts are shipping and some of my parts still need to be purchased Of the parts that still need to be purchased I have yet to conclude my hard drive setup I d like a bit more information on the best way to use my hard drives Once again main use for computer would be gaming I was thinking about x hard drives and thinking of mixing a SSD and HDD into the equation Of what I read about SSD s they are very fast and boot times are less than sec Dont know too much about them So maybe put my OS on my fairly small and inexpensive lets sayyyy g or g SATA SSD along with any other crucial program such as computer security BitDefender is what I had in mind and dedicate my most likely Seagate TB rpm mb cache HDD to all of my games programs downloads documents etc Does this seem like a viable setup What is the best setup for my hard drives Will my games run flawless on a different hard drive than my OS How should I dedicate my hard drives in terms of files Thank you guys so much in advance I m eager to build my first computer and I HOPE this build will be able to play all the latest games on ultra settings Thanks again nbsp

A:What is the best way to use my hard drives? SSD/HDD

I think you have a good plan. Hopefully someone else with more SSD knowledge will be able to make specific drive recommendations.

I can say that I don't think you'll want to install games to your SSD, sure they'll load faster, but in the actual gaming portion you won't notice much if any difference (depending on the game and its HDD access needs). Having said that, if you don't play games much after completing them, and you have a 128GB or bigger SSD I don't see any harm in installing the game to SSD and uninstalling after you are done to recover space.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-is-the-best-way-to-use-my-hard-drives-ssd-hdd.189356/
Relevancy 42.14%

i just bought a used e-machine w2785 at a yard sale. i brought it home and found i have 2 hard drives listed as c and e. it is booting from e drive and i want to make it boot from c drive and have e drive as a different drive so i may have my stuff on one and my wife can have hers on the other. how do i go about getting this done?

Relevancy 42.14%

I plan to add a second hard drive to my computer (not yet decided on internal or external) to back up all my music and other files from my primary drive.

All licensing issues aside, can I install Windows XP on the secondary drive so that if the primary drive failed I could boot from the secondary drive without, as I suspect may be the case, having to open the computer and changing the jumpers so that the surviving secondary drive can be made the primary and vice versa.

Also, having never had a drive fail on me this may be a stupid question but, if the primary drive failed and I got the secondary drive up and running as the primary, would I still be able to see all folders and files on the failed drive?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/2-hard-drives-in-1-pc-xp-on-both-231038.html
Relevancy 42.14%

How can I install my old hard drive into my new computer

Simple

uh assuming you're using XP. power down your system.. plug it in, make sure it's reformatted to the appropriate file structure (NTFS on XP) and then start it up

(also, you can change your drive letter from "Control panel>Administrative Tools>computer management>Storage>Disk Management")

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drives.48252/
Relevancy 42.14%

I have a dell dimension 8100 , xp operating system, with a 20-gig ultra ata 7200rpm hard drive.I was approaching the capacity for this drive so I installed a maxtor 80-gig ultra ata 7200rpm drive.(I think I used the cable select jumper setting for both drives).I partitioned and formatted the drive.My system labeled the drive as drive (E) with a capcity of 80-gig.I have over 3,000 mp3 files in two directories.(93kbmp3 and 192kbmp3)both are on the 20 gig drive. I want to use both drives for storage.I am getting a message that my drive is approaching capacity on the 20-gig.Does the operating system automaticlly start storing on the second drive?What are my options for using both drives for storing my mp3's?Should I move one or both of the directories to the 80-gig?Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx George

Relevancy 42.14%

Hey, I'm in need a more hard drive space on the computer, I want to invest in 2 new 500GB drives and maybe put them into RAID 0, my current hard drives are a 500GB Hitatchi and a 1TB Hitatchi.

So a couple of questions.

Is is ok to have separate hard drive makes in a computer? So having 2 Hitatchi drives and 2 Western Digital drives, sounds stupid I know :P

and

If I installed the new drives, and I wanted them in RAID 0, how would I move the hard drives around? If I moved the hard drive with the OS then would cause me issues? If it would then would the best cause of action to backup the OS drive and copy it to the new drive?

Sorry if I made no sense in the questions, I's rather be sure what I'm doing that screw up hard drives somehow :P

Thanks

A:Hard drives and what to do next

I'll try to answer a couple of your questions. I have never done a RAID setup, so I'll save that for somebody that knows about it. First, I would check to see how many unused SATA ports are available on your MB. How many mounting bays are availble in your case? I have had up to 8 HD's in a computer, all of various mfgs and various sizes from 80gb to 2tb.
Best of luck in upgrading HD's, it is usually easy.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/154407-hard-drives-what-do-next.html
Relevancy 42.14%

1) if i install a new hard drive in my computer along with the one I have, will i be able to install a new OS on it? if so, how?

2) is it possible to make a new partition on my original hard drive for another OS?

they are both windows...

Relevancy 42.14%

Hello!

I received a new laptop as a present, when i was installing it all, I made both C and D drive equal disk space.

Now I am having major issues as I am forever getting pop up message saying the disk space in C is running low. I have moved everything I know I can move to the D drive, Are you able to advise?

I desperately need to install Microsoft Office but don't have enough memory space.

Please help!

Yours Sincerely

A x

You do know that you can install office on any hard drive; not just the c drive correct?

Next you can resize or even get rid of the d partition and allocate the space to c. Post what os you are running ie win7, win8, etc.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drives.1113850/
Relevancy 42.14%

I need to know if my comp can have 2 internal HDs,It's rather new not even a year old.

Relevancy 42.14%

Help Help Help I m in big do do and could sure do with some pointers My motherboard departed this humble earth a few days ago and has now been replaced Unfortunately for company it took with it a hard drive a CD RW and a CD player I have replaced the mother board and all went well having put back into place other hard drives I then installed the sound card and wallop no gig drive and no gig drive I did get plenty of that smell that tells you all is not well I can find no shorting of wires from the power supply and it is my understanding that because the sound card is on a PCI slot there is no way that it can spike the system to overload a hard drive I mean hard drives Has any one got an idea as to what s going on A much frustrated and now out of pocket PC user nbsp

Well, if you had plenty of the bad smells, something definitely shorted.

What is happening now? How do you know both hard drives are gone? Is the computer able to boot up?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drives.54933/
Relevancy 42.14%

Can I run 1 SATA and 1 ATA hard drive on the same system, One with windows vista os and the other with XP os?

A:2 Hard Drives

Having multiple hd [sata and ide] is no problem. Having two os on the drives is going to either need a boot loader OR you are going to have to select which drive will be the boot drive each time you power ON.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/2-hard-drives.704672/
Relevancy 42.14%

Hi, I have a Sony PCV-RS410 desk top and it has 120 GB hard drive. I want to add a external hard drive. Does anyone out there know if the mother board can handle a 1TB or a 500GB external hard drive? I asked Sony but the only way they will answer is if I pony up $30 to their support people. If anyone has added a hard drive to one of these units or knows the answer please let me know. Thanks

External drives are accessed through USB (or other) interface. That is what the computer "sees". So there is really no limit on the size and the motherboard does not need to support that size.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drives.790138/
Relevancy 42.14%

Is it possible to have a Solid State Memory HD and a normal HD together in the same pc? Because i was wondering if i was able to put an OS on the SSMHD and my other files on the other.

Relevancy 42.14%

Does it make any difference to where i install my programs while having 2 drives? I have been told no in some cases and some others tell me that it's faster to split the data away from the drive with the os... So which is right or wrong?

A:Having 2 Hard Drives...

well, it is faster if you setup your hard drives in RAID 0.

If you are not using RAID however, then it doesnt make a difference which hard drive you store it on

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/having-2-hard-drives.826921/
Relevancy 42.14%

Hey all.

I'm building a new Windows 7 computer. (You can see my profile for the stats.)

Anyway, I have 8 x 2TB Seagate HDD (internal) and 3 x 2TB Seagate HDD (external) and am wondering how to maximize their use.

No, it isn't a server. I'm just a digital packrat and I'm heavy into the oldgames scene, so I need backward compatibility for all my old games. Should I dual-boot XP or just use Virtual?

Admittedly, most will be for data storage. Any ideas? Assembling hardware is easy. I just don't know how to optimize so if I install, everything is still on default settings. Can't figure out page files, etc. Still reading through the tutorials... ^_^

Anyway...

C: OS (Windows 7 Ultimate)
D: Program Files
E: Downloads (I download a lot)
F: Documents
G: Pictures
H: Music
I: Videos
J: ?

K: Mirror of C:
L: Reserved for Windows Backup
M: Mirror of E:

A:Help! What do I do with all these hard drives?

Hello Silverfish. Welcome to the Forum.

One thing I can tell you is to connect only one drive when you install W7. This will assure that the OS and System Reserved partition goes on the drive you want.
The page file should be on C: with the OS. If you have more than 4 gig of RAM it will not be necessary to have a larger or secondary page file in most instances.

You can add the rest of the drives one at a time or all at once - dealers choice - after the OS is up and running.

With SATA it does not matter where they are plugged in on a single controller, there is no hierarchy in performance terms. But if you are using additional SATA ports on a secondary controller, these could be accessed last. I might be best to put the backup/archive disks on those ports if that is the case.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/164834-help-what-do-i-do-all-these-hard-drives.html
Relevancy 42.14%

I understand a computer needs adequate cooling and everything--especially the cpu. While browsing on an online hardware site for quieter case fans for either of my machines, I saw that hard drive cooling devices (brackets with fans on them that attach to the underside of hard drive) are also available.

My internal drives are a couple of recently purchased, standard 80gig Western Digital IDE drives. How hot do hard drives really get? Are cooling fans for hard drives really necessary?

A:Hard drives...how hot do they really get?

I think you may have opened a can of worms with that question

Personally, I don't concern myself with providing cooling for hard drives. When possible I don't like to stack hard drives on top of each other in the case, but I've done it before and will do it again I'm sure.

Hard drives are designed to be able to handle the heat they create, provided you aren't running them in a styrofoam box letting their heat build up. What I'm saying is the ambient air in your case should be at a level that the hard drive will cool adequetly without need for additional cooling.

My main system has a 120mm fan at the bottom front of the case sucking in air, and it just so happens I have hard drive mounts there, so I put 3 hard drives there where the air blows across the top of the bottom one, then there is a gap, then the 2nd hard drive where air can flow over top and bottom of it, and a 3rd hard drive after another space where air can flow over the bottom.

Smart drive placement and a decent case should eliminate any need for additional cooling IMO.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drives-how-hot-do-they-really-get.67495/
Relevancy 42.14%

I am trying to move programmes to another drive on my hard drive it is partitioned into three. But I tried this before with 10 bit unlock files and then transfer then the system collapsed. I am trying to keep my main drive as free as possible any ideas please.

Relevancy 42.14%

Hi
I just format my c: drive and install Windows XP on it and when i go to my computer it only show C:, it doesn't Show any of my other 2 Hard Drived
When I go to Disk Managment it find the other two hard drive and if I right click on it, it only show help or delete partition under the menu.
under divice manager it show me the hard drives too, I have update and reinstall both hard drive drivers and still is not showing those.
What can I do PLEASE?

Thanks

Alex

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drives-gone.57139/
Relevancy 42.14%

My grandson was given a Pentium 4CPU PC with 256 mg ram and two 18gig hard drives. It has Win 98 + on drive C and 2000 on drive D. When the PC boots up it gives a choice of which OS to go to. It defaults to 2000 if no choice is made. When in 2000 you can work with both Drives but when in Win98 you can only work with drive C. Both drives are password controlled.

My grandson wants to put Winxp on the PC and have only on OS. If I format drive D and upgrade drive c (win98+) to Winxp will I still have access to drive d?

Also how can I be sure I have two harddrives and not a partitioned hard drive?

I hooked this pc up to my monitor(gateway EV700) and it works fine on 2000, but I get a split distorted ghosted screen on Win98. Any suggestions on that?

Relevancy 42.14%

I have a Home PC Celeron AST from old Old Drives Hard pc running Windows that I bought from a small computer vendor back in in Florida and I now live in Louisiana Its power supply failed recently during Hurricane Katrina I decided to buy a new HP Compaq Presario with Windows XP at CompUSA Here is my problem I salvaged the two hard drives out of the old PC and they work and I don t want to lose all my applications and years of work and research I have a external Old Hard Drives from old pc enclosure with USB and Firewire Windows XP Explorer lets me view my files on this drive What my concern is can I run my applications from those disc with WinXP My Office did not come with the disc with my old PC it was pre-installed by the company that built the PC How can I Old Hard Drives from old pc get this program to work with my new PC and Windows XP And will it be legal with MS The program came with the PC Could I use the external drive with Windows and all my other programs as another OS and how can I do this Your help with this matter would save me a lot of time and I always wanted to have a dual boot PC for I am more Old Hard Drives from old pc accustomed to Win but will eventually learn XP Thanks if you can help Lonnie nbsp

Relevancy 42.14%

It's been a while since I purchased a drive. What's the difference between an OEM drive and a retail drive aside from the nice box? Do OEM drives at list come with cables? I'm looking at SATA dries at Newegg.

Relevancy 42.14%

Ive seen some hard drive go bad before. I was always under the impression that once bad blocks start showing up in the event viewer its time for a new drive. What do you all think? Is there a way to recover them or is it probally time for a new drive. I always figured that once bad block start showing up it'll just keep doing it until the drive is unusable.

Relevancy 42.14%

can anyone help me please? i puy two hard drives in my computerand it reconises one as master and the second one as slave. i have norton utility and it has norton ghost. can anyone tell me how to use it to change from one hard drive to the other. i am completely confused on how to use it. thank you. as you can tell i am jusy learning by myself.

Relevancy 42.14%

I hope this isn't a 'stupid' question, but what is the difference between Sata & e-sata?

Sata hook up internally & e-Sata hook up with a different external connector.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/137975-hard-drives.html
Relevancy 42.14%

Are usb hard drives a good way to back up the complete hard drive or are they only good for data. I have had a laptop crash five times in a year and it would be great if I could store an image of everything on my drive on another drive and be able to restore it without having to reload all that software. It turns out to be a whole days worth of work.

Relevancy 42.14%

I just bought a computer off Craig's list. The ad said 40 GB hard drive but when I got it I found it had 2 drives, Drive C with 8 GB's and Drive G with 28 GB's. The program files are on C. Can I put AOL or Firefox on Drive G, or move any program files from C to G?

Relevancy 42.14%

need help. can anyone tell me how i can add a second hard drive to my computer and be able to boot up them as i need them .i have got windows 98 on one drive and windows me on my other drive.

Hi and welcome. If your bios allows it.......you can choose between IDE 0 and IDE 1.

Jumper whichever drive you use most often as master and the other one as slave (if they are on the same cable).

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drives.123078/
Relevancy 42.14%

My grandson wants a computer on which he can play games. I have a 586 with a 10 GB hard drive. His mother has indicated he will have a LOT of games. Therefore a need for larger hard drive. I have an extra 10 GB which I can install. What do I need to do to get them both working correctly. Also, are the games loaded on both drives. If so, do I cahnge the drive letter for the new game location?
Many thanks.

A:2 hard drives

If you install the new HD, I think plug & pray should pick it up, and run you through the partitioning and format. And when you download data or save games whatever, it should ask you what drive to save to. Not to sure on this one though, it's just what I thought happened.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/2-hard-drives.114327/
Relevancy 42.14%

I am looking for a new hard drive and am a little confused. I know my motherboard is set for IDE drives. Therefore I can't use the newer less expensive drives. However I see some drives that are listed as Sata, EIDE drives. Do these drives work either way or what it the deal?

Relevancy 42.14%

hey

Was just checking some information in my pc, and i noticed both of the Hard drives were quite hot, theres no problems with the fans or anything in there so im not sure if theres a problem or they just get like that.

The pc has been on for alot of the day and alot has been installed on it since they are new.

Is it a problem that they are getting quite hot?

Thanks

A:Hot Hard drives = bad?

How hot? The maximum operating temperatures for hard drives is usually around 60 degrees Celsius.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/214977-hot-hard-drives-bad.html
Relevancy 42.14%

Hi. I am fairly new at this computer stuff but am catching on for an older fellow. I have a Pent III, with 1 20 GB hard drive that was in the system when I got it second handed. It it running Win XP pro sp2. The drive is formated to Fat32. I have since put in a 2nd hard drive (20 GB) that also has Win XP pro sp2 but is formatted to NTFS. It was used on another computer with some other applications put has a lot more free space. I am trying to use one system for storing big files or programs while using the other drive to access them. Is this possible and if so how would I go about doing it.

A:using 2 hard drives

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

This is what I would do.

1. I`d convert the Fat32 filesystem on your old hard drive to the NTFS file system. Instructions HERE.

2. Once that`s done, format the new hard drive, also using the NTFS file system. From windows, open my computer and click on the new hard drive, select format and make sure it`s set to format in the NTFS file system, click start.

You can now use the second hard drive for storage of whatever you want.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/using-2-hard-drives.76886/
Relevancy 42.14%

I have two hard drives. A 13gb Western Digital and a 30gb Maxtor. In Device Manager, there is an option a checkbox for DMA. I've seen places where it says this makes it faster and places where it says checking this makes the drives slower. Which is it?

-Micky

A:DMA on hard drives

DMA is faster.

------------------
"She was crazy in a cool way once" Johnlee

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dma-on-hard-drives.33910/
Relevancy 42.14%

I just had a new hard drive put in my computer that had gb When the store installed it they left the old hard drive and that is the one 2 Drives Hard I am using I do not know how to get to the new one and use it Can anyone help me If you pull up the new drive which is on D 2 Hard Drives all that shows is the Recycled bin the Command program the Io sys and the Msdos sys Do I double click on the command in order to go to new drive and use it I am filling up my old drive which is only gb and that is why I had the new drive put on They also told me that they partitioned the new drive into two gb drives but My Computer only shows the old drive on C and the new one on D They gave me a floppy disk that goes with the new drive but I am afraid to open it and 2 Hard Drives play around because I don t know what I am doing I sure would appreciate anyones help out there Thanks ahead of time nbsp

Relevancy 42.14%

I bought, and had a friend install, a second hard drive on my computer. I am using Windows XP. the problem is instead of making the drive a slave he he used Ghost and copied my original C to the new drive which is now F. I didn't want that. My original drive is 40 GIG and the new 80 GIG. Is there a way I can make my 80 GIG my C and the older one the F? Or, can I make the 80 GIG my C and the 40 GIG the slave? Would appreciate some instrutions on how to do this. thank you

A:2 hard drives ?

Hi

You need to open the case and switch the jumper settings to 1.the new and larger drive should be set to prime master
2.the smaller should be prime slave or whatever your cd-rom is not using.
3.the hard drives should have the jumper settings on them to show how to set it up

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/2-hard-drives.123512/
Relevancy 42.14%

I'm looking for the fastest hard drives I can get right now for games, in the price range of 200-300 usd a piece. thx for your input.

This one is pretty fast.

http://www.newsfactor.com/news/Seag...stest-Drive/story.xhtml?story_id=10100ACKL11F

EDIT: But then again, it may not be in the price range you want.
EDIT: Nope its not....nevermind....lol
http://shopper.cnet.com/hard-drives/seagate-savvio-15k-st973451ss/4014-3186_9-32430561.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drives.77301/
Relevancy 42.14%

Under "Computer" on my acer computer i have 2 different hard drives. One named "ACER (C: )" and the other one named "DATA (D: )" What is the difference between these 2? Also, my "ACER (C: )" is getting full and i only have about 2 GB free out of 70. When this gets full will my computer aumtomaticly start saving things on my other hard drive? My "DATA (D: ) hard drive has 70.1 Gb free out of 70.4 so theres bassicly nothing saved on here.

Thanks

PS
Im new here =]
Did I post in the right section?

A:2 Hard Drives?

Is it a pc or a laptop?

If its a lappy then its probably 2 partitions on the same hard drive and software like partition magic can adjust the partition sizes.

If its a pc with 2 hard drives then you will have to move stuff from one drive to the other as windows will not begin writing to one drive when the other is full.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/2-hard-drives.91353/
Relevancy 42.14%

My friend gave me two used hard drives. How to verify them out if they are OK? He said one of them was making "click" noise during usage, but after formatting seems to be OK. Is there any way to check it? I tried to copy into and from those hard drives and they work fine, but I'm still a little bit scared to put them into my system.

A:Hard drives.

I just went through this process about a week ago and here is what I did.

There is Bart's Stuff Test. This tests that the read/write speeds are ok. If it runs at around 20mb+ that would be great. If it's much lower speed than that i'd consider buying a new hdd.

http://www.nu2.nu/bst/

Type in the drive letter (example G:\) --> click 'options' --> tick 'quick speed test' --> click 'OK' --> click 'start'

If the speed is ok then run a check disk.

Assuming you are running windows: Click the start button and type CMD into the search bar, right-click the CMD icon and "run as administrator".

In the Command Prompt type:

chkdsk [drive letter:] /r
for example: chkdsk g: /r

If it's showing a lot of bad clusters I'd toss the drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drives.939335/
Relevancy 42.14%

Well, it has been awhile sinced I posted. the last time I was here. I had questions building my computer. We just completed it. It is awesome!! THANKS FOR YOU HELP!!!

No my questions: I kept my old hard drive, but I need to access the registry to get a serial # for my nero software. I saw a post about a site to download but could not fully open the porgram. Please help, I need to use this software ASAP.

Relevancy 42.14%

So I went up to my room to play that wonderfull game that is far cry and my computer just refused to boot. I got as far as the screen that says Windows XP with the green light going left to right (knightrider style!). I kept there for a good five minutes. My PC usually boots in 45 secs. I tried booting in safe mode but that no good. Just stalled again. I decided to bite the bullet and format my hard drive and reinstall but reformating wont work it just stalls. Do hard drives just die sometimes? It a 4 mth old maxtor 80Gb 7200rpm.

A:Do Hard Drives just die???

You can test the hard drive using Maxtor's diagnostics: http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/M...tware Downloads/ATA Hard Drives&downloadID=22

There are a number of reasons why a drive can fail, it could also be something other then the drive causing this problem.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/do-hard-drives-just-die.235351/
Relevancy 42.14%

Hey, Whats the difference between a SCSI internal Hard drive and an Internal IDE hard drive? And what is an EIDE hard drive?
Thanx

jbjoker
SCSI is a different interface to hook the drive to. IDE, EIDE, ATA and UltraATA, ATA66, ATA100 are all terms for different speeds of the same type of connector. These connectors are motherboard specific. All IDE up to ATA100 are backwards compatible. For basic definitions: http://thetechnozone.com/pcbuyersguide/PCbuyersguide-Glossary.htm

SeeYa

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drives.119621/
Relevancy 42.14%

I am using two hard drives one with Windows ME as master and Ubuntu 6.06 as slave.

Should I be able to see the slave drive in My Documents?

Thank you, Cathy

A:Using two Hard drives

Unlikely as it will be formatted by default with the EXT2/3 or ReiserFS file systems. None of which ME can see without special drivers installed.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/using-two-hard-drives.501322/
Relevancy 42.14%

I'm just full of questions...I have two HDD's and only one is recognized by Windows explorer. I am running a 4.3G as master (Windows on this one) and the other (20G) as slave on IDE1 while a CD-ROM and CD-RW are on IDE2. All of the drivers, jumpers, BIOS, etc. are working and the 20G has gone through its partition setup (just one partition). Any ideas. If I still have to format the 20G (I thought that's what the drive's setup disk and partitioning was for) then how do I get to it? In DOS?

A:2 hard drives

If you set the partition and did not format it, it will not be seen. I would boot up again from a Win98 boot disk and at the A: prompt, type Format D or whatever the drive letter of the new drive is set as). You will be asked if you are sure with a reminder that anything on the disk is lost during a format. When done,reboot and windows should see it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/2-hard-drives.35188/
Relevancy 42.14%

I have a problem I have 40 gb master hard drive with windows 98 on it. I also have a 30 gb slavehard drive with windows 98 on it. My slave drive is going bad but i have important files and programs on it. Is there a way i can copy my 30 gb slave onto my master so i can acces all my files. None of my hard drives are full so all my infromation can be but onto the 40gb. Is there a way to do this? Please help soon.

Relevancy 42.14%

OK, here is the deal I have windows 2000 on one hard and I would like to install windows nt or 2000 on the other drive. The company that I work for, is worried that I will mess up their software on this one drive with other apllications. I need some advice they want me to run their software on nt workstation 4.0, but it can run on 2000. All I need is a simple solution to make everyone happy. The big 40 gig for my junk and the 10 gig for work. Without messing up the registry.

Thanks,
David

A:Two hard drives two Different os?

Hi,

Windows Nt/2000 Are The Same. Windows 2000 is just version 5.0 to NT. What you should do is just leave windows 2000 if you dont know what exactly your doing.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/two-hard-drives-two-different-os.58882/
Relevancy 42.14%

for some reason, after I reformatted my c:/ drive, the drive labels have changed. The two floppy drives are a and b like usual, but the hard drive is now c and d (which used to be the cd drive). The cd is now e:/. the problem is that I am trying to install win 98 and it says it needs 205M of space. I have this compbined between the c and d drives, but it won't combine them. hwo do I get the drives together so I can install win98?