Windows Support Forum

Switching from modem to router

Q: Switching from modem to router

I have my modem plugged into the computer and everythings running fine. I want to plug the modem into the router, router into computer and get that up and running. I'm running XP. The router connection will be wired, its an older computer.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Switching from modem to router

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Switching from modem to router

What's your question? Setting up a router is very easy with the models out now. They have a fold out chart and easy to follow instructions on the CD that comes with it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/switching-from-modem-to-router.148797/
Relevancy 75.68%

Hi, this question goes with an earlier question I posted. I am trying to get a new modem/router as the one I have I am renting from my internet provider. It took me awhile but I finally found the exact same modem/router. It is a Siemans SpeedStream 6520 modem/router. My question is: Can I just plug in the new one I bought without having to reinstall it on my computers? Remember, they are exactly the same model and everything. I have to send the old one back to the internet provider so can I just switch them out automatically?????? Thanks in advance!

A:Switching modem/router. Need help.

It needs to be configured to work with your ISP, so you have to at least call them. You wouldn't have to change anything on your computers only if the modem/router was set to factory defaults meaning the same SSID, encryption, IP address range, etc.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/switching-modem-router-need-help.851081/
Relevancy 60.63%

I'm switching from AT&T U-verse to Comcast since comcast can offer speeds up to 5x faster.

As you might know At&T uses ethernet as incoming signal vs. Comcast that uses 75 ohm cable.

I need to buy a new modem and router to install the new Comcast service.

I have two questions:

1) What is better? the combo modem/router units (i.e. Motorola SBG6580) or buying a separate stand-alone modem Motorola 6141 modem + Netgear N750 wireless router)?

2) I do have one issue to overcome. I have one TV in my house that is wired for cable only. That is, it has a cable run going to it. It's too difficult for me to install an ethernet run to it, so I'm stuck having to use the cable run. Are there modem/routers that have a cable OUT so that i can feed this TV its hard-wired signal?

Thanks,
bob

A:Solved: Modem/Router combo units vs. stand-alone modem + router?

see attachment

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-modem-router-combo-units-vs-stand-alone-modem-router.1103612/
Relevancy 56.76%

hi,

I need help on bridging Belkin N150 F9J1001V1 modem router (primary, connected to internet using ADSL) and Linksys WAG54GS modem router (which needs to be bridged). I would appreciate if detailed step by step procedure is provided.

A:bridging ADSL modem router and another modem router

can you explain exactly what you want to do ?
and give IP address, of each router

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/249246-bridging-adsl-modem-router-another-modem-router.html
Relevancy 56.76%

Info about my computer should it be relevant is below Short Story I desired a new router modem vs router combo... Separate Router/Modem and modem just to see if it would improve internet consistency However I ended up buying just a router I have a modem and can link them up Should I keep this setup or switch back to my old Router Modem combo while looking for another Router Modem Long Story My internet for the most part is fine However I still experience the occasional disconnect My internet will go off for less than a minute about x Separate router and modem vs Router/Modem combo... a week This is fine for browsing but sucks for gaming My ISP is AT amp T and I have Mb max DSL Years ago Separate router and modem vs Router/Modem combo... it started having a bunch of disconnects after I tried an upgrade Mb max for a year The techs came out about times As a result I downgraded my service back and got an AT amp T Wire Router Modem combo out of the deal I know people say this device sucks a lot but it s been at least doing its job General browsing is fine gaming has the disconnect problem only sometimes and there s only one device to think about However I ve recently started wondering if the quality of the modem was in fact affecting the consistency of the connection The techs tried different modems when troubleshooting everything but none were high quality So I got my eye on this http www amazon com NETGEAR-Wirel UTF amp qid amp sr - amp keywords wndr I ended up buying it at Best Buy they had it for sale However me being a complete dummy I thought it would be a combo Modem Router It s just a router I was gearing up to take it back but I started wondering if maybe this could work out I pulled out an old but good modem I had linked them up and got the internet going in almost no time Right now this setup seems to offer no benefit over what I had before I used my Wire to play games surf the internet and provide Wi-Fi to my Samsung Galaxy Player I tested and can do all the same stuff on this setup but it s still the same stuff Nothing seems to be going any faster and I haven t played around on it long enough to see any disconnects Is there any reason to keep this separate router and modem setup or should I just take the router back and perhaps look for another Router Modem combo My comp info Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack bit Processor Intel R Pentium R CPU GHz x Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card Intel R G GV GL Express Chipset Family Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB D Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard Dell Inc M CN B M Antivirus Avira Desktop Updated Yes On-Demand Scanner Enabled nbsp

A:Separate router and modem vs Router/Modem combo...

i would not see any advantage

but why not try it for a week and see if it disconnects - that is what you are trying to fix

also you wont get a faster speed if the download is set to 3Mbps and all wireless modes B,G,N will be faster than 3Mbps anyway

How many devices do you have connected to the router and when you get the disconnect is it for all of them

it maybe a dns issue - but you would need to see if the new modem/router setup has resolved the issue anyway

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/separate-router-and-modem-vs-router-modem-combo.1103936/
Relevancy 56.76%

Hey Guys what i need is some help turning my modem router combo modem/router to modem use new just combo router wireless for with into just a modem so i can use a different wireless router My problems with my current combo are that for gaming pc xbox and ps primarily i have huge connection problems that would all probably be solved with some simple port forwarding the problem with that is that my ISP disabled port forwarding modem/router combo to just modem for use with new wireless router and DMZs on the model modem router thing we have Networking is not my strong suit so this hasn t gone so well for me in attempts prior to this We have an Ambit cable modem wireless router combo there is no model number on the modem itself however in the setup page it lists quot Cable Modem DOCSIS Compliant quot which is looking like it may be a model U C also inb wrong login user user ISP changed admin pass and will not give it to me i already spoke to them about this garbage new router i want to use is a Linksys wireless router i already know how to do all the major setup on those its just this ambit one is trash thanks for any help you can give me nbsp

A:modem/router combo to just modem for use with new wireless router

Not much, if anything, we can do. To configure the modem/router into bridge (modem only) mode you have to login. If you don't have the login/password the only thing to do is reset it to factory default settings.

Two potential problems with doing that ...

a. They may have disabled that function also.

b. You have to know the settings needed to connect. (Usually not a problem with cable service.)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/modem-router-combo-to-just-modem-for-use-with-new-wireless-router.950464/
Relevancy 55.04%

I currently have an ADSL modem install and was wondering that if its possible to also use a dial up modem also (I like to switch between using my ADSL modem and a 56k modem) how do I set it up in Window XP?

A:Switching modem in Win XP

I have DSL and use a modem for backup when it is down. All I did was add a dial-up connection to my workplace.

Open Network Connections.
Under Network Tasks, click Create a new connection, and then click Next.
Click Connect to the network at my workplace, and then click Next.
Click Dial-up connection, click Next, and then follow the instructions in the New Connection Wizard.

Note:
To open Network Connections, click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Connections.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/switching-modem-in-win-xp.111643/
Relevancy 55.04%

what are the steps i need to take to switch from an internal modem to an external modem? can i just remove the internal modem, put the system back together and plug in the external?
i know i need to remove the internal drivers first, then do the uninstallation of the internal one. any help would be appreciated.
kelly

A:modem switching

Sounds like you have right.....just remove any entry in device manager of internal modem first, and have your external modem drivers handy when rebooting to be installed when windows finds your external modem.

JUST MY OPINION.....................................

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/modem-switching.175495/
Relevancy 54.18%

Just moved in and brought my ADSL wifi modem Belkin F1PI241EGau with me, but over here there is cable and the provider supplied me with their modem motorola Surfboard SB5101E. I would like to connect these two to use the wifi. Would that be possible?

Thank you

A:Can i connect my adsl2/2+ wifi modem/router to cable modem?

Not really. The ADSL router doesn't have the correct WAN interface. You need a standard router with an Ethernet WAN connection.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-i-connect-my-adsl2-2-wifi-modem-router-to-cable-modem.820259/
Relevancy 54.18%

My Motorola SBG901 Modem/Router combo has stopped connecting to the internet. I have done all the troubleshooting with Comcast and with Motorola and it is out of warranty, so I will have to purchase a new one.

In the mean time, I wanted to use it only as a wireless router connected to my Scientific Atlanta DPC2100R2 modem. Is there any way to do this? Is there a way to disable the modem in the SBG901?

Simply connecting with the ethernet cords has not worked. I connected the DPC2100 to the SBG901 via ethernet cord. My computer was able to pick up a wireless connection but there is no cable connection. I am using Windows 7.

Thanks!

A:(Comcast) Connect Modem To Wireless Router/Modem Combo!

Is there any way to do this? Is there a way to disable the modem in the SBG901?Click to expand...

Perhaps a really skilled electronics engineer or technician could take it apart, separate the modem from the router portion and add an ethernet WAN port.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/comcast-connect-modem-to-wireless-router-modem-combo.1014057/
Relevancy 53.75%

Alright heres my story. I had a regular cable modem and SWG would work fine. The day I switched to a new Cable/Phone Modem I couldn't connect anymore. (Also note that nothing has changed on my computer besides the modem switch) I have troubleshooted with SOE, Comcast, and even Arris (The company who makes my modem) and nobody has a solution for me. I have no firewall running and I'm connected directly to the cable modem. I also have tried uninstalling and reinstalling SWG and still no luck. Also, My internet works fine besides any games by SOE.

Any ideas?

A:SWG wont connect after switching to new modem.

What's SWG? What's SOE?

Please supply the following info, exact models of the equipment please.

The name of your ISP and country of residence.
Make/model of the broadband modem. If dial-up, please specify.
Make/model of the router (if any).
Connection type, wired, wireless.
Make/model of network card or wireless adapter.
Make/model of your computer (motherboard if home-built).
Version and patch level of Windows, i.e. XP-Home SP2.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/swg-wont-connect-after-switching-to-new-modem.598020/
Relevancy 53.75%

When i want to switch directly to the modem i can not access the web. I have a dlink di-524 and am running windows xp home editions. I am just turning off the switch for the wireless card and connecting straight to the modem. I can connect if i reboot the modem but is there another way instead.

A:switching from wireless direct to modem

The cable modem will only allow a connection from one MAC address. There is no easy way around it, other than power-cycling the modem (as you discovered). Depending on the model of network adapter that you have in your computer though, you might be able spoof it's MAC address to match that of your Dlink device.

Goto the control panel -> network connections. Right click on your network connection and select properties. Click the "Configure" button and then go to the "Advanced" tab. Do you have an item listed "Network Address" or something similiar in the list? If so, select it and then key in (no spaces or colons) the MAC address from the DLink (which is normally printed on sticker on the bottom or back, or you can get it from the web-based config page). Click OK and then reboot the computer.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/switching-from-wireless-direct-to-modem.443274/
Relevancy 53.75%

I have a Netgear DGN2200 (N300 Wireless ASDL + Modem Router) that I got from Goodwill. There is no WAN port behind the router... only LAN ports I see. How do I setup my Arris Cable modem to this Netgear Modem Router? I need help PLEASE!

Link to Netgear DGN2200: http://www.netgear.com/home/products/wirelessrouters/work-and-play/DGN2200.aspx

Link to Arris Cable Modem (PDF): http://www.arrisi.com/product_catalog/_docs/_specsheet/060510_Touchstone_Telephony_Modem_TM502G.pdf

A:Netgear Modem Router & Arris Cable Modem

if its ADSL you cannot use it as a router on a cable modem, its designed to connect to the telephone line and has a modem within the device

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/netgear-modem-router-arris-cable-modem.1017044/
Relevancy 53.75%

When I try connecting my PC to my cable modem via Ethernet cable there is no internet access, but it does say its connected ( windows xp and 7...2 different PCs). But when I plug in my wireless router directly to the cable modem, I get internet access, what gives? I did reset everything and this problem still occurs. I'm not a total noob when it comes to networking, but this is baffling! I did troubleshooting over the internet, no help at all

(btw for folks who know about ps3...When my ps3 is directly connected to the cable modem I get NAT type 1, and online play works flawless. yet why wouldn't doesn't the internet work on my pc?)

A:cable modem to pc, no good...modem to router to pc works..help

Brand and model of the cable modem?

For "my PC" connected to the modem please show ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
(For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cable-modem-to-pc-no-good-modem-to-router-to-pc-works-help.946774/
Relevancy 53.75%

Hi

I am trying to install a new ethernet modem/router to replace my speedtouch usb modem given to me by Orange.

However when I power down unplug the old usb modem and plug in the new ethernet modem/router nothing happens. I have gone to network connections and clicked on LAN and clicked obtain an IP address automatically. Within network connections I also have the Orange connection which I have also tried doing it on.

Am I being completely stupid here? Can I not use the new modem/router that doesn't belong to Orange?

The modem/router I have is a D-Link G624T.

If someone could give me some advice I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

PS I have also tried using the IP gateway thing and it just says the page cannot be displayed...

A:How do I change modems?? USB modem to an ethernet modem/router??

Do you have a user name/password for that account? You normally have to program the WAN section of the modem/router with that information to get a connection.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-do-i-change-modems-usb-modem-to-an-ethernet-modem-router.733181/
Relevancy 52.46%

First of all let me start off by saying that my modem is defective and overheats so i lose my dsl sync every hour. Found out it was defective by numerous hours of scouring the forums. Anyways i recently found a router/modem combo and was wondering if i could just use it solely as a modem seeing as that i already have a wireless router.

Relevancy 52.46%

So I am updating my churches network and came to a setup I have never seen before No one at my church knows anything about the setup except when they built the addition about years ago they ran quot a bunch of Cat quot They ran - jacks in every room I have a closet full of about cat cables of which only actually have RJ s on them and only of Router Modem Modem, to what....? back to Switch to which actually go to a computer That stuff I was able to figure out What perplexes me is the hardware setup I have seen modem to router to switch This install has a Comcast Modem with a built in port router lines go to separate magic jack pro Modem to Router to Switch back to Modem, what....? jacks One is a straight cable to a wireless linksys router The last is a straight cable to a port switch There is then a crossover cable from the wireless router to the switch as well So on the switch port goes direct to the modem and port is a crossover to the router and back to the same modem I can figure out for the life of me why there is a loop going on here In either case the setup worked So the duplicate line did not have an issue I am so lost nbsp

A:Modem to Router to Switch back to Modem, what....?

I would disconnect the cable going from the switch back to the modem/router combo. You're right. This loop is not proper. Loops should never exist on a switched network. I'm curious as to whether traffic is being forwarded around the network properly or if the switch being used has spanning tree support and might have shut down one of the ports wired up to the upstream network device.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/modem-to-router-to-switch-back-to-modem-what.1148714/
Relevancy 52.46%

Hello,
I have a BSNL wireless modem having inbuilt router.The modem has some DSL problem and cannot use the ethernet port to connect to my desktop.So I bought a new Baton DSL modem without wifi facility.

I now need the WIFI connectivity to connect with my phone for browsing net.

For that I connected the Ethernet port of new DSL modem with the old BSNL wifi modem and applied the following configuration.

I changed the IP address of router from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.2

But I get only WIFI connection to connect to phone and not correctly getting the connection on desktop through the ethernet.Sometimes i get the connection and sometimes the connection lost.

I attached some images here.

pls help me to fix the problem.

Thanks & Regards

RAKESH BOSE

A:How to configure wifi modem having router with DSL modem ?

Hi there,

On the second router, DHCP needs to be disabled and assign a fixed IP within the router's IP scope (with Wi-Fi capability) i.e. 192.168.1.3 (make sure that 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.3 will be in the IP exclusion list).

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/339397-how-configure-wifi-modem-having-router-dsl-modem.html
Relevancy 52.46%

So here is my case SETUP Verizon s Westell Modem Router provides incoming address provided by VZ and provides internal address Netgear Wireless Router WGT v Wireless Router accepts and provides X wired and wirelessly Problem Although Verizon s Router indicates that Router = Router Westell Netgear failure Wireless + Bridge Routed and Modem it is on Bridge mode the damn thing isnt I thought the main concept of bridging was to become practically invisible and automatically reroute all traffic Netgear Wireless Router and Westell Modem + Router = Routed Bridge failure to the next device which is what I want I want to ultimately use the Netgear device to set Netgear Wireless Router and Westell Modem + Router = Routed Bridge failure all my rules and settings instead I have to Netgear Wireless Router and Westell Modem + Router = Routed Bridge failure do it on both For instance Xbox Live is not working properly I can only play video games without being able to join specific games or perform any in-game video voice chat I have tried NATing the device No luck I have also tried setting the Netgear device as a Wireless Base Station Either way I just would like to have my network ignore device and have the second one invisibly reroute all the access Is that possible Could you please help Thanks to all nbsp

A:Netgear Wireless Router and Westell Modem + Router = Routed Bridge failure

Well, since the "modem" is supplying a private IP address, it's obvious that it's not in bridge mode, that can only happen with a NAT layer, aka a router.

Try this solution to configure it for bridge mode, direct from Verizon: http://www22.verizon.com/residentialhelp/highspeed/networking/setup/questionsthree/123756.htm

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/netgear-wireless-router-and-westell-modem-router-routed-bridge-failure.927868/
Relevancy 52.46%

Really need some help here going crazy We have a Sagemcom FAST modem router from windstream our ISP and have been trying to get F7D1301 a Modem/router Belkin Sagemcom with Setup Fast router 1704 a servers going for Minecraft game with no luck So we thought that we could attach our Belkin router to the modem since we were Setup a Belkin F7D1301 router with a Sagemcom Fast 1704 Modem/router having port forwarding problems I have tried numerous times to set up the router with this modem and have even tried the bridge mode but then I don t get internet access through the Belkin router have no idea what I am doing wrong I am running Windows XP and my brother who I want on the same network is running Windows Vista which I really hate I had my XP connected but could not get the Vista connected then I completely messed it up and just am at my wits end can someone please walk me through this Let me know any info you need and how to send it to you Thanks a lot Deb nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/setup-a-belkin-f7d1301-router-with-a-sagemcom-fast-1704-modem-router.1089945/
Relevancy 52.46%

Hope this isn't confusing but, my internet provider (my cable company) came in to set up a wireless modem/router when we upped our internet speed today. We have three desktop computers which are hard wired to our existing Linksys router which we have been using previously. Would it be in our best interest to turn off the wireless function of that router (it's hooked up to the new modem/wireless router so the hardwired computers can function since the new unit has no ports to plug in the desktop computers into). Our wireless devices are all 'connected' to the new modem/router (using its passphrase and SSID). Can the wireless capabilities of each interfere with each other? They are sitting right next to each other.

A:Solved: Internet provider wireless modem/router and my hard wired router

It's confusing to me, but can make two comments ...

a. If you are not using the wireless network of a router it's best to disable or turn off the wireless--saves electricity and should extend the life of the router.

b. Two wireless networks whose channel numbers are less than five from each other can interfere. In North America if possible use channels 1, 6 and 11 to guarantee non interference.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-internet-provider-wireless-modem-router-and-my-hard-wired-router.1122336/
Relevancy 52.46%

So basically I want a new router because the router I have now is old as hell and doesn't have a strong signal but I was wondering other than wifi are their any other pros of getting a new router?

A:Pros of buying a new router to plug into my current router/modem combo?

depends on what you have now and what facilities you need
some provide a media service , can have Harddrives attached and Act as USB print servers
also broadcast wireless on 2.4GHz and 5GHz

5Ghz can solve itnterference problems

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/pros-of-buying-a-new-router-to-plug-into-my-current-router-modem-combo.1144425/
Relevancy 52.46%

I don t know if this is possible but this is what I want to do Have the dsl modem router and linksys voip connected together I want the voip router to assign dhcp and the dsl modem router to be used to get internet access but not assign dhcp I think This is why I want it I have wireless linksys cam s configured through the voip router Setting the cam s to the modem router didn t work well because of AT amp T s firewall cannot be disabled only modified to open ports It s frustrating as when I opened the ports for the cam s a consistant quot setup a 2wire router advice Linksys VOIP and DSL Router Modem an unknown error has occured quot So I opted to just set up the cams on the linksys router as the cams are also linksys as well Thus 2wire DSL Modem Router and a Linksys VOIP router setup advice figuring they would communicate better anyway This is my problem When I connect the dsl modem router to the WAN port on the linksys router the dsl modem assigns it a fixed LAN ip What I want is the linksys router to pull a WAN ip so I can log into my cam s remotely from my laptop at home No matter what I do disable dhcp on linksys router set linksys router on the dsl modem router to DMZ set linksys router to bridge mode nothing seems to work All I want to do is configure the linksys router so that when I go to my internet explorer on my laptop and type in quot xxx xxx xx to connect to the cam s But when I go to linksys router config pages to see the status the internet ip is which is a LAN address assigned by the modem router By the way the linksys router IS set to and the modem router s default is Modem 2wire DSL Modem Router and a Linksys VOIP router setup advice router is set to DHCP I have 2wire DSL Modem Router and a Linksys VOIP router setup advice tried setting linksys router to bridge no DHCP setting the DNS server to the same DNS on the modem router and still cannot get linksys router to pull a WAN address Please advise nbsp

Relevancy 52.46%

I have Qwest CenturyLink DSL and recently replaced the Actiontec M modem which crapped out after years of service Replaced it with a Netgear DM PSP v router modem Now I cannot get either of my two routers the Linksys WRT G or WRT N V to broadcast Netgear Connecting router to v2 router/modem wireless WRT160N DM111PSP wireless internet I ve spent the most time on the WRT N It will broadcast a wireless signal but devices that attempt to connect to the internet time out while quot obtaining IP address quot BTW I just happen to have two Connecting WRT160N v2 wireless router to Netgear DM111PSP router/modem wireless routers on hand I only need one to work I can get internet through the hard wire connection I have the Netgear modem hooked up to the quot internet quot port of the WRT N router and the computer is connected to one of the four ethernet ports on the back of the router I can access both router and modem setup pages using this setup The Netgear modem is set up for DHCP server PPPoA encapsulation and gets its DNS address dynamically from the ISP The WRT N is also set up for automatic DHCP configuration These are the settings given by running each set up wizard and this has set me up for some DHCP conflicts I think that setting up a dual modem router in transparent bridging mode PPPoE in theory turns off the DHCP allowing the WRT N to handle DHCP but I have no luck even getting my hard-wired internet connection to work if I switch from PPPoA to PPPoE mode Even if I cut the WRT N out of the loop and connect the computer direct to the DM PSP No internet no nothing The Netgear modem has a setting allowing the user to turn off the router part and just use it as a modem but as soon as I select that option I lose the ability to communicate with the router and my hard wired internet connection went dead So I figured that was just a red herring I tried keeping DHCP enabled for both devices but restricting the issued IP address ranges for each device router and modem so that they didn t overlap No luck there either I ve made sure the IP address assigned to the WRT N router is not within the IP address range assigned by the Netgear modem Lately I tried to set the WRT N to a static IP address using it just to broadcast wireless signal and not assign IP addresses letting the Netgear modem handle that I set the internet IP address to to connect to the modem subnet mask to and set the gateway address to the IP address of the Netgear modem Unfortunately I got stuck because I don t know any of the DNS IP addresses my ISP uses so I was prevented from completing this attempt Which is too bad because I think this would have fixed the problem with the duplicate DHCP management by both router and modem Turned off the firewall at various points while I tried these efforts it doesn t seem to make a difference Starting to wish I had just bought a combo modem wireless router and I would have had wireless internet in the house weeks ago Is there anything you can think of to salvage this combination of router ISP and modem nbsp

A:Connecting WRT160N v2 wireless router to Netgear DM111PSP router/modem

Netgear DM111PSP v2 router/modem.Click to expand...

ifthis is a router then you need to connect the other two routers using their LAN inputs NOT the WAN/internet - unless you set the DM111PSP to bridge mode
you may have already covered the below - but check
see here
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together
From a John Will Post

http://library.techguy.org/wiki/Connecting_two_SOHO_broadband_routers_together

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

For reference, here's a link to a Typical example config using a Netgear router

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/connecting-wrt160n-v2-wireless-router-to-netgear-dm111psp-router-modem.1073119/
Relevancy 52.46%

Just switched over to AT&T DSL from Road Runner Cable Modem.

While I had the cable modem, I used a Linksys WRT54G wireless router that had my PC and laptops connected to it.

Since I switched to AT&T DSL, I have been using AT&T's all-in-one device, the Westell DSL modem/wireless router/firewall.

I've noticed that uPnP doesn't work as well on the Westell as it did on the Linksys. I also had to change some settings to get my VPN to connect to my company's network.

Which is better? Should I put the Westell in bridged mode, and reconnect my Linksys? Or keep it the way I have it running it though the all-in-one device?

Thanks in advance.

A:Westell DSL modem/router/firewall VS. Linksys WRT54G Wireless Router

I'd put the Westell in bridged mode, which will then emulate your old configuration, which apparently worked properly.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/westell-dsl-modem-router-firewall-vs-linksys-wrt54g-wireless-router.631815/
Relevancy 52.46%

So I have AT&T DSL. I bought a Netgear N300 ADSL2+ Modem/WiFi Router that is compatible with my service.

Previously with this Modem/Router it would constantly drop the wireless connection for the Wii I have that was used to stream Netflix.

So recently I bought a Linksys E2500 Router so I could be able to use the Wii, along with 3 other desktops, 1 laptop, and 3 phones.

My ideal setup would be this:
Set the ADSL2+ Modem/Router to be just a modem (I know how to set the option for this)​Connect the Linksys Router to be what all the devices connect to wirelessly (this would serve as the DHCP server) ​
I have read that one of the Routers has to be set to "BRIDGED" mode, yet I don't know which device has to be Bridged

--

A:Solved: Netgear N300 ADSL2+ Router/Modem and Linksys E2500 Router Setup

Set the ADSL2+ Modem/Router to be just a modem (I know how to set the option for this)Click to expand...

this is being set into bridge mode - by changing to a modem

then connect the modem to the WAN on the router and you should be good to go

Do you have a wireless laptop that you can you can put next to the wii - would be useful to see the quality of the wireless signal and how many other wireless are there which may cause interference

put xirrus onto the laptop and put the laptop next to the wii and post a xirrus screen shot
Run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector
Download and install
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC
Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and install the program.
You will now need to take a screen shot and copy that back to the working PC and attach the screen shot in a reply on the forum here.

http://www.xirrus.com/Products/Wi-Fi-Inspector.aspx
Direct link to the program is here http://info.xirrus.com/Wi-FiInspectorConfirmation.html

{If the above link does not work heres another link http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_download/fid,77196-order,4/download.html}

Then run and install the program - on a wireless enabled PC/Laptop
if you get an error - You need will need to have NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.
On windows 8 - (i do not have windows 8) but, it would appear that, When you first try to run, you may get a message that .net framework is needed, and included in that message is a link to download/install.

Run the program

A user guide is available here http://www.xirrus.com/cdn/pdf/Xirrus-Wi-Fi-inspectorguide-1-2-1-RevB-6.aspx

post a screen shot of the program running.
if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information.

post which SSID name is yours, its located in the list, under network "Adapter Name" (1st column)

To post a screen shot of the active window.
1) hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application (Start> All Programs> Accessories> Paint) and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
OR
2) if you are using Vista/Windows 7 you can use the "snipping tool" which is found in Start> All programs> Accessories> Snipping Tool

To upload the screen shot to the forum, open the full reply window ("Go Advanced" button) and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
Full details are available here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Posting_a_Screenshot

Note:
For a reliable (or robust as the Xirrus user guide says) wireless connection you need a signal of about -70 dBm or better. "A desirable signal level for a robust Wi-Fi connection will be green".
note: the signal level is a negative number, so for example -88 is worst and -40 is better

If you are using the Mac OS then use http://www.istumbler.net/

if you want to optimise base station position and signal strength / dead spots use
http://www.chimoosoft.com/products/apgrapher/ which has a graph function to monitor signal

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-netgear-n300-adsl2-router-modem-and-linksys-e2500-router-setup.1085080/
Relevancy 52.46%

Well as the title says I am experiencing difficultly in getting the NAT setting on my Xbox to Open status I ve searched in many places on the internet including these forums for an answer and I ve yet to NAT Xbox modem/router with router 360 P600R WRT54GS Issues and find one which solves my issues so I decided it was time to finally ask for help What I m working currently working with is the Embarq P R ADSL modem router combo If there s a more specific name for it I don t know it as I don t have the packaging - I m simply going by what was printed on the modem itself working through my Xbox 360 NAT Issues with P600R modem/router and WRT54GS router Linksys WRT GS router by way of the ethernet ports of both units The WRT GS is then hardwired to four different computers and broadcasts to my Xbox wirelessly via Xbox 360 NAT Issues with P600R modem/router and WRT54GS router microsoft s network adapter specifically designed for the unit compatability between the adapter and router isn t an issue just trying to cover all my bases Because of this all of the LAN ports on my WRT GS are currently being used preventing me from attempting to simply make my WRT GS act as only access point since to my knowledge I would need Xbox 360 NAT Issues with P600R modem/router and WRT54GS router to plug the modem router into one of its LAN ports instead of the ethernet port Thus far I ve tried enabling UPnP on both units setting up a DMZ for my s IP on the WRT and Forwarding Ports TCP UDP and TCP UDP on the WRT both individually and simultaneously I also had somewhat of a breakthrough when I switched the P R to bridge mode as it gave my which connects wirelessly an Open NAT with no connection issues However doing so rendered the four hardlined computers in my home unable to connect to the internet so I was forced to change it back to routing mode and have found myself at a brick wall of sorts when attempting to decide what to do next In addition I do believe the issue lies in either the interactions between the P R and WRT GS or simply the P R itself as I ve had the WRT GS for years and experienced little to no problems with it before especially considering how familiar I ve become with manipulating its settings However the P R is new and with it came my troubles Any assistance would be greatly appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 52.46%

I recently got qwest DSL and I configured my Wireless to work and accept my wireless MAC Address, but when I plug it into the WAN slot in the Linksys router it doesn't work. I went to linksys site and did their configuration which is changing the router LAN IP to 192.168.0.1, then power cycling, but this doesn't help. I cannot access the internet still. Both the modem/router and the router are operating DHCP, but if I disable the modem/router, I cannot access the wireless function, and if I disable the DHCP on my Linksys router, I cannot obtain an IP from the modem router via the linksys router.

This is frustrating lol.

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

A:Qwest DSL (Router/Modem/Wireless) not connecting to my Linksys Router (VPN)

I just got a Zonet Broadband Switch Router (product model ZSR0104C).
I have Qwest DSL.

I followed the instructions.
I can ping the router but nothing else.
Can't access internet.
Scoured Zonet site/forums.
No driver updates.
No errata on installation or any pertinent info.

Looked up Qwest specifications for Router set up... nothing helpful there.

Irritated.

Ideas?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/qwest-dsl-router-modem-wireless-not-connecting-to-my-linksys-router-vpn.359197/
Relevancy 52.46%

I am by no means a network expert but have set up multiple wireless networks for friends. Right now I'm trying to help a relative setup a network where he has a basic Belkin wireless G router behind a Speedstream 4200 modem/router, and we can't get it working. The best I figure is that both are trying to perform the function of router and thus conflict. I dealt with a very similar situaion last summer that took a few hours or trial and error to get working, but unfortunately I can't remember what settings I changed....something having to do with bridged mode and DHCP server in the modem. Can anyone help?

A:Wireless router behind Speedstream 4200 modem/router....need help configuring.....

Welcome to TSG:

See if this tip from Johnwill,addresses your issue.

Connecting two soho routers in a network

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

Also FYI:I believe that the "primary" router in this scenario,is the modem/router.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-router-behind-speedstream-4200-modem-router-need-help-configuring.819501/
Relevancy 52.46%

I have a significant problem with my computers not recognizing my d-link router. I screwed something up today and now my router won't work. I have had the router for years working just fine, but today I was trying to connect a new kindle which wouldn't connect to the Wi-Fi and I lost the router after screwing around with configuration.

Basically I've been trying to re-install the router, I changed the SSID but it appears the d-link quick router setup software recognizes the modem as the router and won't re-intall my router thus denying me access. Has anyone ever ran into a situation such as this? Please help...

A:D-Link Software recognizing modem as Router, router not working

Find the reset switch (usually a smal hole and you press a paper clip into it for ~5sec).

That will bring it back to day-1 default settings.

Unless you are attaching to the modem/router using USB, there's no software to be installed
(that's only used for USB) - -
just cable the eithernet cable to a LAN port on the router and then you can configure it

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/d-link-software-recognizing-modem-as-router-router-not-working.155807/
Relevancy 52.03%

hi, i have a netgear 802.11G router which is approx 3 years old, it is in the front room and the pc with wi fi dongle in the bedroom, yesterday the pc showed a no internet connection, the lights were all out on the router but it and the transformer were warm so i unplugged it from the back waited 10 seconds and replugged it and every thing was back to normal, the same thing happened today but this time the power light remained on, after doing the same as yesterday it once again works, is the router repairable and is 3 years about the life expectancy of a netgear unit, thanks in anticipation

A:router switching off

It's not the router, it's the power supply going bad

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/268917/router-switching-off/
Relevancy 51.6%

I have a sagem wifi modem router provided by the telecoms company it has a limited wifi range and in my experience of wifi it also has frequent dropouts connection problems we connect the desktop pc to it by ethernet and that s just fine we also were given by a rd party a belkin n wireless router the model without modem and would like to try it out to be the wifi router The idea is to connect it by ethernet to the sagem and a modem router via Connecting ethernet? router a to wireless place it in a more central part of the property I reckon about m of ethernet cable we would disable the wifi on the sagem had we been given the belkin model with internal modem this would not be an issue and we would Connecting a wireless router to a modem router via ethernet? not need to use the sagem at all - that is not meant to sound ungrateful can anyone see any pitfalls with this or if it is do-able any recommendations re configs I have found another post loosely related to using routers however it doesn t really address this specifically http forums techguy org networking -using- -routers-same-time html nbsp

A:Connecting a wireless router to a modem router via ethernet?

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/connecting-a-wireless-router-to-a-modem-router-via-ethernet.716730/
Relevancy 51.6%

I have an ATT 2701HG-B 2-wire wireless Gateway router modem and have just purchased a Vizio wireless router which I would like to hook up to get better range. Can someone advise if this is compatible and how to connect the Vizio to the modem if it is.

Relevancy 51.6%

Oh the hassles!!! Just when I had the port forwarding perfected for my modem/router, I decide to go wireless.

My modem router is D-Link DSL-504G

My wirelss router is Netgear WGR614v7

My laptop is running XP

My webcam is Logitech Pro and I broadcast using UBroadcast on port 8080

OK, in the old days I would port forward from the D-Link IP 10.1.1.2 to port 8080

Now, I went to portforward.com and followed their instructions for the Netgear and portforwarded IP 192.168.1.136 to port 8080

Sooooooo, what do I portforward the D-link to now????

See if you can see out my window on my webcam. In WMP, File, Open URL, and put in
http://ladeda.no-ip.info:8080

Thanks in advance.

PS I don't think I am broadcasting...

Relevancy 51.6%

I have no idea why but i can only get a connection with the internet with one computer through a switch router... i was told that its not possible to get internet to multple computers, and only to one computer. I have a Netgear Gs108 switch router... but it connects to a Gray fox router which runs through my walls which my modem is connected too. i have no idea how to get internet through all computers which i have been before, i just got cable modem and it this problem started. So before the problem it was DSL at&t. Mabey some can help me please..

A:Need Some Help with Cable Modem to Gray Fox Router to Switch Router

Do a search( upper right box) for cable modem to Fox router to switch router.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/96126-need-some-help-cable-modem-gray-fox-router-switch-router.html
Relevancy 51.6%

I was looking at getting a wireless router either a D-Link or a Netgear Rangemax WNR and I m not exactly sure how to set it up I have a BEC Technologies TM NOT GTM adsl wired modem router that my telephone company gave me when I switched to DSL There are LAN ports on the back of the modem router a line port that my telephone cable is connected to and a console port that I don t use of the LAN ports are being used One is connected to my cable box the Connecting wireless router a adsl to modem/router an other has an Connecting a wireless router to an adsl modem/router ethernet cord that runs halfway around my house through a wall and into a wall jack that my desktop computer is connected to I only want to use the wireless router Connecting a wireless router to an adsl modem/router to connect to my Wii and one laptop I would like to keep my desktop connection wired I had previously tried to connect to xbox live by connecting my xbox to one of the LAN ports but I could never get it to work so now I just switch the ethernet cords between my xbox and computer in the wall jack whenever I want to use one or the other Will I be able to connect a wireless router to one of the LAN ports and receive a signal or will I have to connect the wireless router to the wall jack that my desktop is hooked to and run the connection through the router I ve never setup a wireless network before so I m a little new to this subject nbsp

A:Connecting a wireless router to an adsl modem/router

Hi:here are links to sample dsl modem router to wireless router configurations..
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1080
And for dlink:
http://www.dlink.com/support/faq/default.aspx?question=dsl
And the tried and true Johnwill,TSG tutorial on the same subject.
Your modem probably is a modem/router combo.Here are some possible fixes .

a. Bridge the modem/router unit so that it bypasses the router function and acts as a modem only. Or,

b. Change the address range used by one of the routers, say, to 192.168.3.x. Or,

c. Use the second router as an ethernet switch and wireless access point per the following recipe.

Tutorial from Johnwill from the Networking Forum

Hopefully one of these will lead you in the right direction.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/connecting-a-wireless-router-to-an-adsl-modem-router.936262/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hello Everyone I just wanna ask for some help regarding configuration of a vpn firewall router that is connected to a g modem router combo I am new in setting up a vpn and not so much familiar with others things or what setup is necessary kindly help the poor guy please This is what I need - I need to connect the VPN FIREWALL router and use its features at the same time connected to the internet the VPN FIREWALL will act as the security for the whole network and the G modem router will be the one supplying the internet - Need to establish a VPN connection later after the configuration - The server and other lan pc s must be accessible outside the local network when connected to VPN web server local pc s shared folder and files etc Here s some details that i hope might help - I am using a Quanta K G LTE modem router combo - modem/router to combo firewall vpn HELP! router configuration 4g I am using a Dynamic public IP address but this is HELP! 4g modem/router combo to vpn firewall router configuration not a problem because i am using s DDNS HELP! 4g modem/router combo to vpn firewall router configuration - My VPN FIREWALL brand model is Micronet SP B VPN FIREWALL router - Right now i am already connected to the internet using the vpn firewall physical connection is G modem router-- gt hub-- gt VPN firewall router-- gt PC my connection is G LAN -- gt VPN WAN set the connection type to Dynamic IP -The remote connection and remote access web HELP! 4g modem/router combo to vpn firewall router configuration server ftp RDP is working fine on the G modem router alone I attached some screenshots of the VPN firewall router Looking forward to hear from you guys Thanks in advance nbsp

Relevancy 51.6%

I want devices connected to the router to be able to connect to the modem.

My ISP modem says:
Local IP address 192.168.1.1
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
DHCP Server: Enabled
Connection mode: DHCP
Starting IP address: 192.168.1.10
Ending IP address: 192.168.1.128
Connected devices: Eth-Switch LAN (2) 192.168.1.12 Netgear WNDR4000 Router

My Router says:
Router Information
IP address 10.0.0.1
DHCP: On

Internet Port
IP address: 192.168.1.12
connection DHCP
IP subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway IP address: 192.168.1.1
RIP Direction: Both
RIP Version: Diabled
Attached devices: 10.0.0.4 HP computer
Use Router as a DHCP Server:yes
Starting IP address: 10.0.0.2
Ending IP address: 10.0.0.254

So how would I modify the settings so the HP computer (10.0.0.4) could see the modem (192.168.1.1)?

Answer for dummies please!

A:What are the correct settings for a Router connected to an ISP Router/Modem box.

Let's be clear: you have

Code:

isp==modem at (192.168.1.1)
|
+--- (192.168.1.12) router (10.0.0.1) - - - hp pc (10.0.0.4)

what happens if the HP does ping 192.168.1.1 ?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-are-the-correct-settings-for-a-router-connected-to-an-isp-router-modem-box.217738/
Relevancy 51.6%

If so, how can I configure any settings on the router? I tried connecting this router directly to my Cable modem and some limited connectivity problem pops up saying Primary DNS server cannot be found.

A:Can my unserviced DSL router be used as a router to my Motorola cable modem?

probably not, apples/oranges.

dsl uses phone lines which means you have/had dsl with your phone service.

cable uses coax cable to the modem and tv in my case with roadrunner, also provides digital phone service.

the cable comes in and i use a splitter for the modem/with phone jack for digital phone service and to the router/computers, both wired and wireless.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-my-unserviced-dsl-router-be-used-as-a-router-to-my-motorola-cable-modem.719348/
Relevancy 51.6%

My wife's sister has Comcast Cable. They installed a Modem/Router that the wireless part seems to have died. Can a wireless router be connected via ethernet cable to the cable modem/ router?

A:Connecting Wireless router to Cable Modem/Router

Yes, adding a wifi router to one of the ports will set it as a node on the dhcp server{modem} and if there is a conflict in ip address, usually will change it to a 10.0.0.1

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/349602-connecting-wireless-router-cable-modem-router.html
Relevancy 51.6%

I finally realized that my modem has been causing problems for me for a long time When trying to host stuff on my Xbxo I would always get a strict NAT setting but I realized it was because of my modem People told me I into for an my modem/router point my Making access router was double NAT ing No matter how much I tried with the DMZ Port Fowarding on my Linksys WRT G router Making my router into an access point for my modem/router it wouldn t go through the modem because of that double NAT ing On Making my router into an access point for my modem/router another forum it was suggested to me that I should try to make my linksys router into an access point for my modem The trouble is I m nervous about trying any suggestions because they don t seem very specific Here is my current setup DSL - gt modem Alltel Making my router into an access point for my modem/router Windstream Siemens Speedstream - gt into a Linksys WRT G v then into computers Xbox One other person suggested that I should bridge the two connections but I would just like to know which is more feasible for me to attempt today or tomorrow to get rid of this double NAT ing I am leaning more towards the side of using that Linksys as an access point but other than that I really have no clue where to go Finally one person suggested just hooking up one computer directly to the modem so I could access my modem s configuration page the person guessed it would be Thanks if you need any more info just ask nbsp

Relevancy 51.6%

Hi I have tried many resolutions and nothing It all worked before with cheap routers off of my cable modem High Speed Cogeco Cable but I couldn t password protect the routers because my wireless for laptop wouldn t log on at all So now Wireless. ROUTER WE MODEM? off AGAIN...ROUTER, GO HERE switch and port 5 I have a new rca cable modem from provider to a linksys ezx w port switch not in the uplink port I assume since I have tried with and without from modem From switch to D-Link Di- for wireless in yard and garage if I choose to bring laptop out here or around HERE WE GO AGAIN...ROUTER, 5 port switch ROUTER off MODEM? and Wireless. to two computers in garage From switch to foot of cat cable to house to an X-Micro also wireless for where laptop mainly stays cheap router but works great So all should be fine as I have researched and had replies to do it this way for ease of not conflicting hooking routers together NOT SO lol After reading I do not see if there is something in the settings I should do to each router still since they to me are on seperate lines from the port switch Or maybe is this a cause from my provider not allowing me to use seperate lines as I see it as well ANY HELP is greatly appreciated please been working on this for over weeks now and read so much that all the scenerios don t make sense anymore Take Care STBEAR nbsp

A:HERE WE GO AGAIN...ROUTER, 5 port switch ROUTER off MODEM? and Wireless.

the linksys is not a router it switch it's not a managed switch
you can not give it a ip address
try the d-link first then the switch turn off dhcp in the x-micro
past that I don't do wireless

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/here-we-go-again-router-5-port-switch-router-off-modem-and-wireless.54850/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hello I own two routers - D-Link DSL- another connect (via Router a Solved: modem) as router Internet used to cannot ADSL not wireless and D-Link DIR- wireless The set-up used to be like this - Internet ADSL cable pluged Solved: Router cannot connect to Internet (via another router used as a modem) in Solved: Router cannot connect to Internet (via another router used as a modem) DSL- router - PC connected to DSL- via Ethernet port - DIR- connected to DSL- Ethernet port to Internet port - DSL- works as a modem - Laptop wirelessly connected to DIR- Everything has worked note it wasn t me who set this up Unfortunatelly I have reseted the DIR- wireless router because of some troubles Now the wireless router doesn t connect to the Internet I can connect either computer via cable with the first router and it works like a dream Computers can also see the DIR- router when connected to it via cable but it does not see the Internet I ve switched the setup on and off several times Cables work Computers work they can see Internet from other sources I guess I need to configure the wireless router in some certain way but I really have no idea how I d be grateful for your help nbsp

A:Solved: Router cannot connect to Internet (via another router used as a modem)

Probably IP Address conflict as both D-Links would usually use 192.168.0.1 for default internal (LAN) IP.

You would need to change the LAN IP address of the DIR-615 to another subnet such as 192.168.2.1 for a modem LAN port to router WAN (Internet) port connection unless the DIR-615 can be set as an access point. Will need to check the User Manual to see. Will pull up a PDF and check.

Another option would be to set up using the following method by John Will.

Hopefully one of these will lead you in the right direction.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-router-cannot-connect-to-internet-via-another-router-used-as-a-modem.1082208/
Relevancy 51.17%

Hi Guys...

What is necessary when switching from a standard router to a wireless router? Can I just unplug one and plug in the other without having to tweak anything?...The desktop PC is on the blink...my Toshiba laptap is wi-fi ready..I just want to be able to get on the internet using my laptop until my desktop is repaired using wi-fi.

Thanks

A:switching to wireless router

Well, that would depend on what the existing router is connected to. What's the exact make/model of the modem in question?

Obviously, besides just "plugging it in", you'll have to configure it for your environment, specifically the wireless channels, SSID, and encryption.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/switching-to-wireless-router.851964/
Relevancy 51.17%

I try to help a friend do some computer stuff for his business and he currently has an 8 port Linksys router that has a few ports that no longer work. So it is time to replace it.
He has purchased a Cisco RV082 8-port Router. We need to switch this out with his current failing Linksys. Is pretty much all we need to do is call Windstream(his ISP) and tell them we are switching out the router? For his internal network he just has about 8 devices that connect to it. One of them is a wireless tp-link switch, network printer and the other devices are computers.
When setting the LAN can I just set it to automatically spit out IP's?
And would there be an thing else I need to do??
Just worried about taking down his network and not getting it back up for the next business day.
Thanks for the help.
Senna

A:Help switching out a business's router

I'm not a business network expert, but this would be my approach

When setting the LAN can I just set it to automatically spit out IP's? Click to expand...

how is it setup now - should be able to look at a couple of PCs to see how they are setup for manual or auto IP
also log into the old router and see how the LAN is setup

the printer may have a reserved manual IP assigned

does windstream provide a fixed IP or does the router loginto the service - I would check the settings on the router and make sure you know any broadband username and passwords
also make sure windstream do not use mac address information, if they do - then they would need to change the mac address for the new router - or you need to clone the old one

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-switching-out-a-businesss-router.1066592/
Relevancy 51.17%

Hi Guys I know I am missing something basic the computer has XP and currently the DSL carrier is Verizon The telephone wire coming out of the wall enters a filter which then separates the voice and data The data output is then connected to a Linksys router which has only a WAN input and one LAN output The LAN output is then input into the ethernet connection wireless router to Switching at the back of the computer I want to replace this router with a Linksys wireless router so I tried to install the software although it said it had a problem with the configuration I still went ahead and hooked-up everything the LinkSys wireless router had all the right lights on and flashing but the computer itself could not connect to the internet Now I know it has to do with tweaking something in the computer I made sure the DHCP was selected this is a dynamic IP as far Switching to wireless router as I know not a static Switching to wireless router one as that was one of the questions it asked when I tried to install the driver software for the Linksys wireless Please Advise Addendum I also forgot to say that when I tried to connect and couldn t get on I would get a message quot there are no wireless devices quot does the desktop computer that I am trying to connect via an ethernet cable neet Switching to wireless router to be equipt to handle a wireless connection i e wireless adapter or once I tweak the range of addresses for the secondary router that message will go away thanks nbsp

A:Switching to wireless router

If your existing dsl modem is a combo modem router,this tutorial from linksys might prover helpful
http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin...er/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3687&lid=7783238305B03
Also,here is another tutorial on the same subject:
Your modem probably is a modem/router combo.Here are some possible fixes .

a. Bridge the modem/router unit so that it bypasses the router function and acts as a modem only. Or,

b. Change the address range used by one of the routers, say, to 192.168.3.x. Or,

c. Use the second router as an ethernet switch and wireless access point per the following recipe.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/switching-to-wireless-router.900519/
Relevancy 50.74%

i just had a very weird issue... i cannot connect the westell versalink to a wireless broadband router.. i did the basics (bridge, disable DHCP) but the westell is not giving IP address to the PC.. it did work when we just disable the wireless of the westell and connect the linksys, but thats not the standard way (very unstable).. how can i solve this without replacing the westell versalink with a modem?? help anyone?? please??

Relevancy 50.74%

We just had DSL brought to the wireless to Linksys DSL router modem router house We have three computers to use with the internet We had satelite with the Linksys WRT G wireless router Now we have the DSL The problem I am having is getting the wireless router to work with the DSL router The DSL router is a Siemens SpeedStream Bridge Router I believe it is also the modem The phone line goes directly to the DSL modem router to Linksys wireless router router I can get intenet if I plug into one of the ports on the back there are of them One of the computers is directly hooked up to the My laptop is currently hooked up too although I would like to be able to use the wireless so I can get on the internet anywhere in the house When I hook up the Linksys to the the internet light comes on on the front of the Linksys but when I try to use the internet through the Linksys I get nothing My laptop and the another computer see the wireless and can even connect to it but there is no internet Please help Thank you nbsp

A:DSL modem router to Linksys wireless router

If the Linksys's WAN had any configuration other than "dynamic connection" to work with your previous service, you will need to change that.

If both routers are using the same LAN subnet (192.168.1.x?) you will need to

a. change one of them (e.g., to 192.168.3.x),
b. bridge the modem/router to make it work as a modem only, and then do whatever configuration is needed to connect to your DSL service, or
c. configure the Linksys as a switch and wireless access point.

While (a) is probably the quickest and easiest short term solution, either of the other two are preferable unless you have a need for cascaded routers. Solution (c) is ...

JohnWill's procedure for configuring a secondary router as a switch and, optionally, wireless access point follows.

Connecting two SOHO broadband routers together.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dsl-modem-router-to-linksys-wireless-router.721706/
Relevancy 50.74%

Greetings!

I have a problem. I have a cable modem CISCO 2100, INTELLINET wired router, D-Link 10/100 switch. Modem is connected to router along with 3 other computers, switch is connected to router along with 2 other computers. Now all that works fine.
When I try to connect my TELINDUS 1132 ADSL wireless router to switch, I can't access the wireless router, which is http://192.168.1.1/. Why I do this? Because I want to setup my wireless router to work with my laptop in a wireless way, but I can't even access the router.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

A:Modem+router+switch+wireless router

Without the wifi connected, use IPCONFIG /ALL and look for the Gateway address - - that should be your 192.168.1.1[*]

Now connect any computer directly to a lan port on the new wifi router BUT leave the WAN port empty!
Again use the ipconfig and look at the Gateway address - - it MUST NOT BE 192.168.1.1 - - that would create a conflict.

While connected like this, change the router address (say 192.168.2.1), limit the DHCP range to something like 2-16, set a new admin password and save the configuration. You will need to login again and now setup the WiFi SSID and passphrase for your encryption. Disable Remote Management and do not allow port 8080. Save the configuration once more.

Now you can add the WiFi router, but let's talk about the wiring.

You now have

Code:

Modem=Router#1--Switch--devices(3)
|
+--- more stuff(2)

The TELINDUS 1132 ADSL is intended to be a modem+router so you will need to
connect a LAN slot on the TELINDUS 1132 to a LAN slot on a switch. (leave the DSL connection empty).

Code:

Modem=Router#1--Switch--devices(3)
| |
| +---- TELINDUS 1132 . . . WiFi Connections
+--- more stuff(2)

ALL your devices will now be controlled by the 192.168.1.1 router shown at the top[*].
The new wifi router on 192.168.2.1 will control the WiFi access, but never assign an IP address. This creates a single LAN subnet and any active device can be configured for all windows Print/File Sharing.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/modem-router-switch-wireless-router.192234/
Relevancy 50.74%

HI Good Day to all his is my first time here i m having a frustrating hours to plug router when router any RTU Zyxel modem days and weeks now because of this problem Zyxel modem router RTU when plug to any router in my office network to start with i just got hired for a month now and this problem occured Zyxel modem router RTU when plug to any router when our adsl got very slow and when we ask the isp provider what happen they told us too many users you need to upgrade your dsl speed so from mb we upgraded it to mbps so it should fix the problem but the thing is still very slow when i simply ping yahoo or google one or three reply RTU so heres comes the repair man from isp provider they isolated the problem they tell us that the dsl line had no problem coz when they put it in to stand-alone the connection is fine no RTU so the problem is in our network So what i deed is i change all the cabling including router and switches but no luck still very slow in my frustration i requested another isp provider for a DEMO unit and this time it works fine the problem of this new isp is that they only have max mbps internet speed but my boss wants mbps and he still want the old isp provider So here s the scenario my old isp provider has given me usable ip address and they uses zyxel p- modem router using pppoe with ip address starting xx xx xxxconfigured us dhcp server for public ip address so i still need a dhcp router for local ip addresses my d-link wireless router is configured also as dhcp server starting xxx x x here comes my problem when they use ther modem router with one pc stand-alone its working fine when i plug it to my dlink router it will be up for only one or minutes then RTU i already used routers linksys and netgear with the same result hope someone or somebody will bright up my day help is badly needed nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/zyxel-modem-router-rtu-when-plug-to-any-router.1051915/
Relevancy 50.74%

Please forgive me if this isn t the right area of the forum I should ask this I m not really tech savvy when it comes to router stuff so I m Fios Can Connect old with my modem/router? my router new I with also going to explain this as best as I can so sorry Can I Connect my old router with with my new Fios modem/router? if I m not as thorough as I possibly can be I just got Verizon Fios and I m wondering if I can connect it to my old router Basically I m trying to do this because my office is at one area in the house where the Fios modem is and on the other side is my media PC and game consoles Now I have enough cable to go from point A to point B but it s only one cable and I have several things I d like to hook up Hopefully someone here can help me because I don t want to go buy a ton of ethernet cord and I m not looking to spend any more money buying a wireless bridge My old router is a D-Link WBR- Thanks nbsp

A:Can I Connect my old router with with my new Fios modem/router?

I disabled DHCP in my d-link router and I'm now able to connect to the internet on my PC. I plugged a cable that was in a LAN port on my fios modem/router into a LAN port on my D-Link router then plugged my PC into the D-Link modem.

My only problem is that when I plug in my Xbox 360, It won't connect(It will though if I just plug it right into my Fios modem/router).

Thanks.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-i-connect-my-old-router-with-with-my-new-fios-modem-router.119296/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hi

I have previously investigated this issue on this forum but to no avail.

I have a Motorola SGB900 cable modem/router which up until now has done both functions. However i want to upgrade the router and so have purchased a netgear wnr2200. I have tried connecting to the WAN and LAN connections on the new router and disabling NAT and wireless on the old router in all possible configurations but i dont seem to be able to get it to work.

May i please add that i am somewhat of a networking noob!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Relevancy 50.74%

Hi

i want to link my modem/router, to my other belkin router.

basically i want to use my modem/router as the modem, and use my belkin router as the main internet connection source

can anyone help do this or direct me?

my modem/router is the netgear dg834gt, and my belkin router is the F5D7231-4P

Relevancy 50.74%

the Cable connected to the modem, modem conencts to the Wireless router, and that connects to my computer. Since i hardly ever use the wireless router, i decided i want to just connect to the modem. I switched all the ethernet cords and by looking at what i had done, everything should have been working fine.

But that is wrong... I couldnt connect to the internet. I while back i set up a static IP address, but i changed that. the settings look like this now:
(to post this i had to go back to the router and the modem)

when i was trying to use just the modem, windows window bubble came up and said i have little or no activity, and i tried repairing it. windows tried to renew my IP address but that failed so there was nothing else i could think of doing.

what can i do so i can just connect throught the modem?!

A:Im connected through a wireless router and a modem... Want to get rid of the router

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/im-connected-through-a-wireless-router-and-a-modem-want-to-get-rid-of-the-router.437277/
Relevancy 50.74%

Verizon DSL modem is connected, it gets an IP from Verizon 74.x.x.x and it also gives an internal IP as well so that you can connect to the interface 192.168.0.1

So I connect a plain jane 4 port router and change the IP address to 10.0.0.3 and internet great good shazaam on all computers.

Then I connect a Netgear wireless router to one of the LAN ports on the first router (it's upstairs in a separate house) and I should then disable DHCP and give the netgear an IP of 10.0.0.254 right? Well, once I change the IP of the Netgear, it reboots and I am not able to connect to the router using 10.0.0.254 and I have to hard reset it.

Am I missing a step here?

A:Verizon DSL modem --> router--> wireless router...help

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/verizon-dsl-modem-router-wireless-router-help.931131/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hi,

I need help in configuring my cable modem/router (SMC8104wn-res) and wireless router (CISCO RV120W). What I need is to be able to be able to successfully connect the site-to-site VPN. This is how it was configured:

RV120W > Modem (DSL) > Internet > Cable modem/router > RV120W
Site 1 Site 2

I don't have issue with the site 1's end. but I need help in configuring site 2 since I need the Cable Modem/router to act as a modem only (do not know how to set this in bridge mode, disabling it as a router) and making my RV120W as the main router and as the DHCP. Can you give me a guide on how to set this up? Thanks!

Regards,
Mike

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-router-behind-cable-modem-router.1019407/
Relevancy 50.74%

My service provider just Router Westell Router/Modem with D-Link gave me the new Westell E router modem but with out informing me that its a router I already have a D-link DI- wirless set up and I am getting the internet connection fine but I m unable to access my computer remotely using PCAnywhere or other apps like I was before using port forwarding I don t understand Lan Wan too much or DHCP or Bridge or Westell Router/Modem with D-Link Router PPoe so if someone can give me a hint I would appreciate it Strangely I had a dynamic ip address before but its not changing everyday now I got to the Westell config area but still haven t been able to set it up right I ll try to give some info here to help u help me D-Link gateway - D-Link Submask - DHCP Server - enabled Westell VC Config - Protocol Bridged VC - Bridge Settings - mode Routed Bridged DHCP - enabled Subnet Mask - Gateway - Westell discovered local devices di- - Westell Private Lan DCHP start address Westell Private Lan DCHP end address Westell Public Lan DCHP Server Enable - not checked Westell Public Lan Ebable - not checked nbsp

A:Westell Router/Modem with D-Link Router

Ok, very inofrmative

Microsoft(R) Windows DOS
(C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1990-2001.

C:\DOCUME~1\ALANCO~1>cd\

C:\>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : ALAN1
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-EC-45-9B-6C
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 216.68.4.10

C:\>

My Wan IP is a 72.49.xxx.xxx number so .... ?

It seems like I need to some how make the westell just a bridge(?) so that it doesn't assign ip address and allows the D-link to be the router??

thanks

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/westell-router-modem-with-d-link-router.61853/
Relevancy 50.74%

alright here s my problem I have my house networked via two linksys BEFW S routers The first is connected > Any Problems?? ROUTER ROUTER suggestions? > MODEM directly to my modem and four connections go to other rooms in my home No biggie no problems until I needed more ports in my office SO i got my other router out same model and plugged the wall connection into the back and then proceeded to plug in my computers into the three ports in the back I can get no connection at all unless I plug my computer back into the wall then everything works like it MODEM > ROUTER > ROUTER Problems?? Any suggestions? should so i m guessing I have to do something in the router to set it up as a switch only but I m not sure how to do that I ve disabled DHCP and some other things but I m still in the dark Here s my setup- Cable Modem gt First Router gt First Router gt Ports - to other rooms Port to my office Port from the port in my office wall gt Second Router gt Second Router gt computers that all need a connection to the internet Any help at all would be wonderful as i have no friggin clue what to do here linksys support is vague on the subject and the customer service is clueless nbsp

A:MODEM > ROUTER > ROUTER Problems?? Any suggestions?

seraphin said:

alright here's my problem...

I have my house networked via two linksys BEFW11S4 routers. The first is connected directly to my modem and four connections go to other rooms in my home. No biggie, no problems...

...until I needed 2 more ports in my office. SO i got my other router out, same model, and plugged the wall connection into the back, and then proceeded to plug in my computers into the three ports in the back. I can get no connection at all unless I plug my computer back into the wall then everything works like it should, so i'm guessing I have to do something in the router to set it up as a switch only, but I'm not sure how to do that. I've disabled DHCP, and some other things but I'm still in the dark.

Here's my setup-

Cable Modem > First Router >

First Router > Ports 1-3 to other rooms , Port 4 to my office...

Port 4 (from the port in my office wall) > Second Router >

Second Router > 3 computers that all need a connection to the internet

Any help at all would be wonderful as i have no friggin clue what to do here, linksys support is vague on the subject, and the customer service is clueless.Click to expand...

The 3 computers on the second router needed their DNS specified to be 192.168.1.1, and the second router setting itself set for DHCP instead of typical PPOE.

The above is the simplest, least complicated config.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/modem-router-router-problems-any-suggestions.20742/
Relevancy 50.74%

my modem is coupled with the router. it came with the isp. I'd like to disable the router function and simply use it as a modem, and then use my own router. I'm hoping this would clear up some issues I've been having with it.

here's a link to the manual: http://actiontec.com/support/broadband/gt704-wg.pdf

I couldn't find anything about disabling it but it's possible I'm looking in the wrong place

Relevancy 50.74%

gonna try to make this router Solved: to internet! Modem HELP!!! to router, but NO as easy to understand as possible my network is has been set up like this - cable comes from the wall into the modem - a line then goes from the modem to a D-Link Solved: Modem to router to router, but NO internet! HELP!!! wireless router this router supplied a few connections including - a line that went from the D-link to a Linksys WRT-GS wireless router this is the router my PC is hardwired too This network setup worked perfect i had ZERO issues days ago the router in the middle the D-link died i had a few other routers sitting around a linksys wrt-G and a TP-LINK wireless N i thought i would be able Solved: Modem to router to router, but NO internet! HELP!!! to just put one of these in the D-Link s place and i would be up and running again NOPE no matter what i do or try i can not get router to pick up an internet connection from whatever router is directly connected to the modem the router that is directly connected to the modem has internet no problems but that router will not sent the nd router the info it needs to get online as well SO im not sure what the problem is i have spent many hours messing around in the router setup pages for all routers changing IP s DNS s advanced routing options router mode or gateway mode releasing and renewing DHCP s resetting to factory defaults a lot of this stuff i dont understand i even tried swapping places with them to see if maybe one liked being the host more then another no dice is there some magic combination that i am missing here do i need to update firmware Was the D-Link that i used before just THAT special should i go buy another D-link PLEASE HELP i currently connected to the router that is directly connected to the modem so im fine but i need that nd router through the st router because i share this connection with others thank you nbsp

A:Solved: Modem to router to router, but NO internet! HELP!!!

i think i may have found my problem/solution. however im just starting to the process to find out if it will work. im still open to any help and suggestions anyone has for me.

the solution im trying is: to make sure both routers dont have the same IP address, and if they do, change the secondary router IP to something else.

i have learned that what im trying to do is called cascading.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-modem-to-router-to-router-but-no-internet-help.1078837/
Relevancy 50.74%

Heres the situation. I am renting an apartment in someones home. They have provided me with an ethernet cable from their router(not wireless) but the line is located in a different part of the room that i want my computer to be located in. I CANNOT snake the wire under the carpet or along the wall and do not want a line running through my living room.

So basically there is a cable modem in one section of the house with a conventional router attached to it. That router supplies me with a ethernet cable. I would like to put a wireless router on the cable that I have so I can use my computer in a different location. Will this work?

Relevancy 50.74%

Hi everyone Before I begin stating my question let it be said that I am a dimwit in networking I just learned from other people how to normally make it work and now the time's come that I actually have to do something and I can't really figure it Router/Switch/Modem/Router I a purchase Should out My home DSL is powered by Should I purchase a Router/Switch/Modem/Router an Aztech ADSL - DSL EN Currently the modem is set to PPPoE PPPoA with a username and a password I have PCs running on Wired LAN cards I do not want to purchase wireless adapters for either as I want to go wired on Should I purchase a Router/Switch/Modem/Router this I'd like to keep the Aztech as the DHCP server router since it has a pretty good wireless range and all the features I need can be found on the GUI What exactly is the device I need and generally what do I need to do to make it work the way I have it pictured Disclaimer I may have mixed the terms a bit I also know that I may not be making any sense due to the lack of knowledge I have in the subject I wil not be held responsible for your brain and nose bleeds

A:Should I purchase a Router/Switch/Modem/Router

The thing you linked is a modem-router, so it connects to the internet AND routes traffic between all the computers connected to it. Good.
Looking at the ports behind, it has only ONE Ethernet port. Bad, and where your issue is.

If you want to go 100% wired, you need an ethernet switch. It's a device that is smart enough to route the ethernet traffic from more than one PC through a single cable, but dumb enough that is plug and play.
Something like this is cheap and tiny (i've seen tons of exactly the ones I linked and their bigger 24-port collegues in all companies with decent internal networks). Plug the ethernet cables from your router and from the computers into any of its 5 ports, as it doesn't matter, and you are ready to go.

If you want to do something fancy like connecting ethernet (network cable) devices to your wireless modem router through wireless connection without buying wireless adapters, look for a Wireless Ethernet Bridge. These do need some setup to be integrated in your wireless network (as someone has to tell them the name of the wireless network they need to connect and the password), but it's usually straightforward as they are much simpler devices than the modem-router you have already.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/258168-should-i-purchase-router-switch-modem-router.html
Relevancy 50.74%

Hi. I'm looking for an easy to follow guide to do the following.

I have an SMCD3GN (from Rogers) that is both a Modem and a Router. I also have a Linksys WRT54G router that I used to use before.

The SMC is giving me a lot of problems. The connection is really bad often and my internet speed drops for no reason all of a sudden. I'm getting fed up and want my old router back.

I know it's possible to change the SMC into a modem (put it in bridge mode) and then connect my router and use the Linksys router instead of the SMC. The problem is, I don't know exactly how to set it up and would really like an explanation.

I already know how to get into the SMC and Linksys settings as an admin.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A:How do I put my Router/Modem in Bridge Mode and Use a Different Router?

Nothing about bridging in the SMCD3GN User Manual.

Found two articles that may help you.

Apparently the SMCD3GN has two levels of programming, a user level name/password and then an administrative name/password.

This is probably a better discription of how to do it.
http://www.thewebtechreviews.com/2011/04/02/my-frustration-with-rogers-smcd3gn-modem/

This second article is cited in the first and contains both name/password sets.
http://www.jonocono.ca/ramblings/2010/10/03/rogers-n-gateway-smcd3gn/
Be sure to have the router connected to the modem and the modem's wireless turned off before implimenting the bridging.
According to the articles you lose your ability to access the modem's User Interface unless you do a factory reset which kills the bridge.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-do-i-put-my-router-modem-in-bridge-mode-and-use-a-different-router.1014961/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hi guys I'm new here so please be nice

OK! so before i changed to TPG ADSL2+ i used to be on optus cable using a Netgear Wireless N router. then when i got TPG, i need a router but found out i had to get a combo modem/router. so i got an Open Networks 824RLW which has wireless G.

This unfortunately in my double brick double story house isn't good enough for some pc's. So i know there is a way to do it but i dont know what it is... I'd like to disable the wireless (G) of the Open Networks and keep the modem of it working (and possibly the ethernet ports) and connect my Netgear Wireless N router and use it for wireless (N) and wired networking.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks, Assassin.

A:Wireless N Router + ADSL2 Modem/Router

Welcome to Seven Forums!

You can certainly do what you describe. It will come down to reconfiguring the two routers.

First, reconfigure the ADSL router (824RLW) to turn off the wireless. I looked at the manual and you can disable the WLAN.

Next, on the old "N" router, disable the DHCP server. This will prevent it from handing out addresses. Also give the NetGear router's LAN port a static IP address on the same subnet as the 824RLW. make it's outside the DHCP range though.

This last piece is important. Connect a cable from one of the four LAN ports on the 824RLW to one of the LAN ports on the old "N" router. NOT the WAN port! The routers have two sides, WAN (Internet) and LAN (Inside). The radio and the switch ports are on the same side (LAN). That's the side you want.

By doing this you bypass the Netgear's router function completely.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/61697-wireless-n-router-adsl2-modem-router.html
Relevancy 50.74%

i recently received a 2wire 2701HG-B Gateway Modem/Wireless Router from a friend to replace my old AT&T modem for my DSL, but i found that the wireless connectivity and set up was a little off. (dmz not properly working, lose of signal at times) i want to use the modem portion of the 2wire for the internet but i want to use my Linksys WRT54GS v.5 Wireless Router for my wireless/LAN needs.

is this possible? if so any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Relevancy 50.74%

I would like to switch between my wired router and my cable modem. Is there a product that wil allow me to do so easily?

A:Solved: switching between router and direct

Well, you'll have to reset the modem whenever you change from the router to the computer connected, so I'd just move the Ethernet plug.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-switching-between-router-and-direct.724211/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hello from Need router. wireless. to Switching wired I need to switch from a wired network to a wireless network Santa is bringing a new laptop I guess the best way is to change routers Not sure what to go with I would appreciate recommendations on a reliable model I currently have Switching from wired to wireless. Need router. desktops PS and a TV on the wired network Ive looked at and read the reviews on a Linksys-Newegg com - LINKSYS E Wireless Router simultaneous Dual Band Gigabit a b g n Switching from wired to wireless. Need router. GHz GHz up to Mbps with USB Built-in UPnP AV Media Server and an Asus-Newegg com - ASUS RT-N Wireless Router b g n up to Mbps DD-WRT Open Source support with USB Storage Printer And Media Server For the most part the reviews are good but there a bunch of bad ones Just wondering if any one brand is considered more reliable than the others I don't know anything about open source firmware Its mentioned quite a bit in the reviews This is what I think I need Gigabit speed N support and under Any other specs I need to check out Thanks

A:Switching from wired to wireless. Need router.

My honest suggestion based on my own experience is trendnet or belkin.
I've had horrible experience with both dlink and linksys.
They all seem to die within a year and a half.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/199453-switching-wired-wireless-need-router.html
Relevancy 50.74%

I have setted a static IP to my Router Thompson Speedtouch WL on this computer to be able to portforward my applications and works fine the problem is it doesnt work as soon as i try the router on my other computer the portforwarding stopps working even thou the settings are exactley the same this leave me the quot bright quot conclusion something is wrong with my static IP freak could thath be cause the Issue computer when switching Router IP shall not be identic on both computers when i check in command com ipconfig all the IP Netmask amp Gateway all info are becoming exactley the same when i follow this guide PortForward com - Free Help Setting up Your Router or Firewall Lets say the dhcp server generated quot quot it seem will stick to this forever with this router i have no idea why it allways choose the same numbers on any computer is Router Issue when switching computer thath normal i have tested to change to quot quot as end-number on the second computer but still the portforward fails after any ideas what might be wrong here Kloppstock nbsp

Relevancy 50.74%

I have a ZyXel Q1000Z DSL Modem/Router combo and it's only connecting me at 130 mbps so I'd like to use my own router, a DIR-655 to connect me at 300 mbps. There isn't a WAN port coming out of the Q1000Z, USB port and 4 LAN ports.

How can I do this?

A:DSL modem/router combo as modem only?

Cazca said:

I have a ZyXel Q1000Z DSL Modem/Router combo and it's only connecting me at 130 mbps so I'd like to use my own router, a DIR-655 to connect me at 300 mbps. There isn't a WAN port coming out of the Q1000Z, USB port and 4 LAN ports.

How can I do this?Click to expand...

Can't the DSL is the input and ALL connections to the device will (internally) use the router portion. The bandwidth you see is NOT restricted by the internal router however - - it's the DSL itself.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dsl-modem-router-combo-as-modem-only.163423/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hi I have a strange question that im hoping can work for a fortnight router/modem BT Cable with Modem at the most lol I have just joined Virgin Media on meg connection They sent me out an Ambit E C modem but forgot to send out the router Then the engineer installs the wallbracket lobsided But anyway im getting away from my question I have to wait up to weeks for my router BT router/modem with Cable Modem and in the meantime my computer is upstairs and my connection is downstairs I dont want to buy a router that will last me weeks so I decided to dig out my old BT Voyager router I connected it to my Netgear FS v ethernet network switch and now I am trying to get it to broadcast my BB signal from my Ambit modem which is also connected to my Netgear switch I can now connect to my wireless router but it will not broadcast my broadband Is there a way to fix this Or do I have to wait till my new router arrives nbsp

Relevancy 50.31%

Hi everyone this is my first post here I ve trawled the net Wireless Huawei Router Q: to Belkin Modem feed N Modem Unique via USB Wireless house for Unique Q: USB Huawei Wireless Modem to feed house via Belkin Wireless N Modem Router ages but have found nothing I believe I have a unique situation here and would love some help from some net savvy people I have strong computing skills but keep away from networks if possible Hope someone here can help would really appreciate it Here s my current setup - HP Pavillion Laptop with Windows - Receiving internet from a USB connected wireless modem Huawei model E E It all works well internet is fine I m happy Why I want to share this network connection I have a couple of iphones and a Nintendo Wii and we would like to connect them to the the laptops internet connection Other things I ve tried first I DO understand quot Connectify quot is out there and have tried it but it just fails every time I ve tried it the devices that try to connect all just sit there trying to connect and time out My possible solution found So what I found deep in my cupboards is a Belkin N Wireless Modem Router Model F D - It s a relic from my days of having an ADSL connection This was back in the days when I used to have a physical phone line Ahh they were the days a physical connection to my house Imagine that What I intend to do with the the Belkin relic I want to still receive the connection to my windows laptop as I currently do but have that connection shared over the belkin wireless modem router so that the nintendo wii and iphones can then connect to the belkin and receive their internet The question How can I do it I ve tried so many different things sharing homegroups says I need ipV enabled even though it is in both the Huawei and the laptops wireless connections tried this and that and it then says I have conflicting ip addresses etc etc and I m at a bit of a loss I am quite experienced with PCs being employed in the industry for over years but like I say networks just make me go cross eyed I d REALLY appreciate some help and clarity from someone who might know a possible solution to what I think is a unique question I hope I ve provided enough info if there s anything else you need to know just ask Again thanks for your time to read this and I hope someone out there can help Best regards Rob nbsp

A:Unique Q: USB Huawei Wireless Modem to feed house via Belkin Wireless N Modem Router

You enable Internet Connection Sharing on the internet connection and configure the Belkin as follows.

JohnWill's procedure (Aug. 30, 2008) for configuring a secondary router as a switch and, optionally, wireless access point follows.

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. [You will not need a cross-over cable if one of the "routers" is a computer.] Leave the WAN port unconnected!

For reference, here's a link to a Typical example config using a Netgear router

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/unique-q-usb-huawei-wireless-modem-to-feed-house-via-belkin-wireless-n-modem-router.918871/
Relevancy 49.88%

I d appreciate any assistance with setting this up I have two wired computers sharing to Solved: RP614 Wireless WGT624 Router From Switching internet connection and files via a Netgear RP router Absolutely no problems I ordered a new Dell laptop and in anticipation of that I purchased a Netgear WGT Solved: Switching From RP614 to WGT624 Wireless Router Wireless Router That came first so I tried to set it Solved: Switching From RP614 to WGT624 Wireless Router up I installed the new router using the setup wizard that came with it The pc connects perfectly to the internet The problem Solved: Switching From RP614 to WGT624 Wireless Router is with the second computer I feel like I missed a step because I simply plugged the cable into a port in the router and into the back of the nd pc expecting it to then be able to connect to the internet No such luck In fact the light doesn t even go on when I plug it into the router Can someone tell me what I am forgetting to do Thanks in advance BettyC Edited to add Today my laptop came I plugged it into the new router and it works wired perfectly Does this tell me that the old cable for the nd computer just won t work with the new router I took everything apart and put the old Netgear router back and the nd computer works fine It s very confusing nbsp

Relevancy 49.88%

Hello, I've had some terrible packet loss for awhile and have found that changing my routers channel has improved the problem a ton.The problem still remains that I still get some packet loss(Determined by doing ping google.com), which has caused too many ragequits in some games.

I get either request timed and occasionally could not reach host server or something similar.
Is switching channels my only solution to removing packet loss completly, or is there something else I can do?

~I have reset everything multipul times. I am wireless.
I am using a netgear WNR3500 router, and can supply more info if needed.
Before I was getting about 30% packet loss, and now about 2-3%(It comes in bursts)

Relevancy 49.02%

I have a 2wire DSL/router that emits a terrible wifi signal. I have a Linksys WR110 that I want to use as my primary wifi on my home network. Problem is I can't figure it out how to make it work. Is it possible to run a cable wifi router off a dsl/router to use as an access point? or a stand alone WiFi point and just have the DSL/Router using the Lan ports only?

A:1 DSL modem/router and 1 cable router

If it was me, I'd do the following:

1. Turn off the wireless in the DSL router.
2. Turn off the DHCP server on the Linksys router.
3. Setup the wireless of the Linksys
4. Assign a static IP address to the linksys router in the range of the firs router. e.g. If your current IP for logging into the first router is 192.168.1.1 then change the Linksys to 192.168.1.105 or something.
5. Connect the DSL router from Port 1 to the Linksys router Port 1.

In effect, you use the DSL router to assign IP addresses on the network, and use the Linksys mearly as a wireless access point.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/1-dsl-modem-router-and-1-cable-router.150872/
Relevancy 49.02%

I just bought a Netgear D600 router and I realized it doesnt have a DSL connection. I read online that it's possible to make an ADSL router into a modem. The old DSL modem is a ****** LTE router given by default by Movistar in Peru. I'm wondering if when I change the router into a modem, that the internet speed will be limited by the ****** router. Also, could you please give me some pointers on changing the router to modem mode?

Relevancy 49.02%

I have a Motorola modem router supplied by Qwest I have been frustrated because my internet speed is limited partially because of Qwest service connected to Router modem/router partly because I was told Router connected to modem/router by the installer that my apartment building wiring keeps the speed from reaching what I pay for from Qwest the second to fastest package can t remember Can t get Comcast on this block Does anyone know if it would increase the reach speed of Router connected to modem/router the wireless network if I connected my Linksys wireless G router to this Motorola modem router I don t know if it s even possible but I want to do this because when trying to use internet in one of the bedrooms the internet signal is fairly weak I was wondering if my linksys router would be stronger than the Router connected to modem/router qwest modem router in one If it is not possible to use the linksys router as the main wireless network and disable the qwest modem router so it was strictly a modem would it work better to see about just requesting a modem from qwest what I ve usually done with comcast and then using my router Or would a range extender be a better solution Thanks for anyone s help p s I m also thinking my linksys router might not help the range speed problem enough in which case I d buy something like belkin N nbsp

A:Router connected to modem/router

tmpk said:

I have a Motorola 3347 modem/router supplied by Qwest. I have been frustrated because my internet speed is limited, partially because of Qwest service, partly because, I was told by the installer, that my apartment building wiring keeps the speed from reaching what I pay for from Qwest (the second to fastest package, can't remember). Can't get Comcast on this block.Click to expand...

If the statement is fact (highly likely too), then nothing from your modem to any of your equipment will make any difference

p.s. I'm also thinking my linksys router might not help the range/speed problem enough, in which case I'd buy something like belkin N+Click to expand...

BAD idea. None of the 11n stuff is official and there's lots of compatibility issues with it (belkin or any other).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/router-connected-to-modem-router.119378/
Relevancy 49.02%

Hi I know this has been asked plenty of times but i thought i might create a new thread because it is slightly different from the other problems I ve got a friend who has got a modem router MR that has another router R connected I ve got MR doing the DHCP and is on the IP address I ve allocated How a talk. do modem/router and router get to I IP addresses between - for DHCP I ve set R to recieve its IP address from MR How do I get a modem/router and router to talk. When i open up the web browser interface for MR and view the How do I get a modem/router and router to talk. DHCP allocations it says that R has IP address I also have a workstation PC connected to MR and generally gets IP address of From PC i can ping MR but not R I also have a Multi-Funciton Device MFD that is set to DHCP and attached to R I ve noticed that MFD gets the IP address of not and an IP address of x as it should if MR was doing DHCP I can not ping MFD from PC as well I tried setting up a static route in MR so that PC would know how to get to the x range My input was destination Subnet Gateway the reason gateway being was because that was the IP address given to R by MR as per the DHCP allocation table Have i got this right So the question overall is if both MR and R are giving out DHCP how do i get devices on each IP address range to talk to each other ie how do i get PC to talk to MFD if they are on different ranges nbsp

Relevancy 46.87%

I have a Westell model A90-210030-04 modem. I am interested in buying a router for the hardware firewall but if I'm understanding everything correctly that I've been reading about it online, I will have a problem. From what I understand, this modem has a router in it but it doesn't have the firewall. According to what I've been reading, if this is true, the two routers will have conflicts. I have searched online but haven't found anything that gives a definite answer. Does anyone know the answer to this? Does this modem have a router in it? And if so, is another router just asking for trouble? Thanks for your time!

A:Is it just a modem or a modem/router?

yes, no and maybe -- here's the scoop.

First, you really want the software firewall on every PC connected; the XP/SP2 and Vista FWs are ok but COMODO and Sunbelt Personal FW 4 give you more control.

Second, the Modem is a DSL modem so your ISP connection is over the phone line.
A better choice (if available in your area) would be Verizon FiOS or any Cable company.

Third, you can always add a router->router connection; here's how
Code:

modem(without internal router)---(wan)Router#1(lan-ports)--- your systems
If you need more connections or want WiFi you can expand this to be
Code:

modem(without internal router)---(wan)Router#1(lan-ports)---(lan#1)[B]Router#2[/B](3x-lan ports)--- your systems

In router#2, disable DHCP and the device acts like a switch. if it has WiFi -- great, router# will provide the DHCP service for ALL connections.

What if the modem already has a router? Just drop Router#1 from the diagram

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-it-just-a-modem-or-a-modem-router.126187/
Relevancy 46.01%

Hi,

I recently bought dlink D2750U WIFI ADSL modem/router, for my ADSL internet connection.

But I have now changed my ISP, who provide internet via cable(not telephone line). The ISP guy provides a cable modem(old modem) along with it.

I have connected my PC this way:
Cable modem -> Router -> PC through RJ45. I am able to access internet from my PC, but I am not able to get wifi working on the router. And I am logging onto internet through a dial up connection.
Questions:
1) Please help in configuring the router to get wifi working.
2) Also, my default gateway seems to be either 0.0.0.0 or blank. So, I am not able to login to the modem unless I remove the modem connection. Please let me know if I am doing anything wrong here.

Here are a few more details:
Output of ipconfig: http://pastebin.com/Zr9Eb7L7

A:Using dlink D2750U Wifi Modem/Router As a Wifi Router

Hey Narain. The D-Link unit you have appears to be a combo unit (modem and wireless router) since it connects straight to the RJ-11 phone line. This unit won't work with an ISP that provides service by way of coax cable. The D-Link will work if you want to use DSL, but you need a cable service compatible modem or combo modem/router if you use cable service.

ftp://support.dlink.co.in/broadband/DSL-2750U/manual/DSL-2750U_C1_Manual_IN_1.00.pdf

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/using-dlink-d2750u-wifi-modem-router-as-a-wifi-router.199643/
Relevancy 46.01%

Ok lets get this started How you doing Good Great glad to hear it How am i doing you ask mmmm at the moment im a sad panda Now to the topic at hand Short version Im attempting to share my pc s usb wireless internet panda cat5 1 -> router wireless modem sad -> -> router? pc wireless -> connection with a wireless router connected through my pc sEthernet port Is this even modem -> wireless router 1 -> pc -> cat5 -> wireless router? sad panda remotely doable I have done so much searching in the past few days that im starting to feel like im the only person in the english speaking world to have every attempted such thing Hence the sad panda reference Why im even attempting to do such a ridiculous thing Short version Im broke and cant afford new equipment or even a used repeater At least for the time being and probably for a while with xmass on the way The setup My friend lives across the street We decided about a year ago that there was no real reason for us both to be paying for a mbs connection when we could split the bill and one of us could just use my self build usb wireless antenna We both only have one computer so the setup was perfect The problem that has decided to show its ugly face is that another friend of mine is giving me his old droid The cell phone not an actual android At amp t being the wonderful company that they are would like to charge me a month for g of internet access This is when the cheep wad in me slammed the brakes and said quot no way dude you dont even pay that much for unlimited mbs cable internet quot So the cheep wad in me says to me quot k the droid has wifi lets just use that quot And of coarse i had to agree with myself Then the new problem struck me im using a usb wifi adapter with a directional antenna to even get my computer connected sad panda first emerges Then we myself and i we decide that we will find a way to share or bridge a connection from the pc to the extra wireless router we have We have failed I did manage to get an old smart phone that my girlfriend had to connect to the internet one time for about seconds through said wireless router Google com works I was under the assumption i had solved my sad panda dilemma Alas i was wrong What i have tried Shared usb adapters connection through ICS connected cat from Ethernet to wireless router wan port - Shared usb adapters connection through ICS connected cat from Ethernet to wireless router lan port - Shared usb adapters connection through ICS connected crossover cable from Ethernet to wireless router wan port - Shared usb adapters connection through ICS connected crossover cable from Ethernet to wireless router lan port -Have tried with said wireless router setting on default and also with dns on automatic on pc and wireless router and with dhcp on and off -Have adjusted ip and subnet masks multiple times So many times in fact that is would be useless for me to try to remember everything auto manual Matching original wireless router not matching As you can probably tell from reading this i am at a point where i just dont know what else to do I can not find a single topic on the ENTIRETY of the internet of someone even asking if this is even possible Let alone a way to do it I would assume you would follow the same procedure you would with say sharing your internet connection with an xbox or another pc I know the fact that this is another router is whats complicating the matter I just dont have the know how to fix the problem on my own If you have any idea how i can set this up please let me know Turn this sad panda s frown upside down And even if you dont have any idea how to help me out thanks for taking the time to read my rant lt -- faking that one im still a very sad panda Current Hardware Modem across the street- Surfboard Software Version SB - -SCM -NOSH Hardware Version MIB Version II GUI Version VxWorks Version Wireless router across the street- Belkin F D - v Firmware My usb wireless adapter- Compact Wir... Read more

A:modem -> wireless router 1 -> pc -> cat5 -> wireless router? sad panda

Since we don't support sharing neighbor's wireless, we also don't help with problems trying to expand on that connection. Note that sharing like this is against the terms of service for your ISP. Think of it as stealing the monthly rental from the ISP.

Closed.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/modem-wireless-router-1-pc-cat5-wireless-router-sad-panda.957552/
Relevancy 46.01%

Recently I bought a USR a router and have two LAN cable connections and two wireless connections The wireless connections were not good as I received clear and strong signals from two transmitters in the neighbourhood - a Belkin and a BTHomehub - but my own signals were weak to good The nearest possible external signal is approx yards away yet my laptops are to yards away from my router I am advised to buy an aerial extension but I don t think that is the answer in view of the proximity described So I removed the configuration software in order to start again and have another Router to Modem problem I can connect to the internet through my old modem but cannot get any response when I connect to the router and run easy configurator software to set it up After going through the process of entering the passwords Modem to Router I obtain the message Modem to Router that there is no signal I have checked out all leads etc but cannot discover the fault - probably mine Is there some intermediary stage set up by the software of my modem which is preventing the signal from being accepted by the router Hope that you can help and thanks in advance for any assistance trevorjd nbsp

Relevancy 46.01%

Hi

I have a kcorp klg 575 router and a linksys modem adsl2mue. running windows xp home.

When I put 192.168.1.1 into my browser I get the modem but not the router, actually sometimes I do get the router and that's my problem I want to get it all the time. I have tried clearing the cache and deleting cookies but nothing seems to work, it seems to be more miss than hit. Even plugging into the router with a cable doesn't work. Although having said all that sometimes for some reason all of the above does work.

I have a desktop pc and there are often 2 laptops in the house plus my xbox which is wired to the router, I need to change some settings to get around the NAT but can't always access the router when I need.

any help greatly appreciated

thanks
G

Relevancy 46.01%

Hi I confess to being a dummy when it comes to modems routers etc so please bear with me I currently run bt broadband using a bt voyager modem My speed is mbps I want to connect several computers to the internet and share files printer etc computers hard wired and laptop wireless I have purchased a Belkin ADSL modem with High-speed Mode Wireless G Router The box also says g router Modem please help Ghz and wireless I managed to connect my main computer which i Modem router help please use to connect to the internet to the new Belkin modem more luck than judgement The problems is that the internet became really slow Is this a problem that I will always face with this modem or should it be as fast as my current bt voyager modem Have gone back to the bt modem for the time being as I don t want to invest anymore time in setting it all up if it will always be slow Any advice to make this a bit clearer would be great Many thanks Tabitha x nbsp

A:Modem router help please

try www.portforwarding.com for increasing the speed of your connection...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/modem-router-help-please.34213/
Relevancy 46.01%

I have currently DSL service and upgraded to the DSL Elite package to mb capped I also used to have a wire new router and on Need help modem ADSL modem router in and was experiencing about connection drops daily from hardwired connection So I recently purchased a Motorola - DSL modem which is partially owned by AT amp T my ISP I got this so that there would not Need help on new modem and router be any confusion for any customer service since ATT is very direct about rd party Modems Need help on new modem and router Routers I also Need help on new modem and router purchased a Netgear N wireless router for computers in household wireless After installing Netgear s update for the router all of my downloads via Steam and Microsoft for updates are capped at kb s I looked up my ISP Address and admin section of this setup and download shows as of now kb s capped download and kb s upload Is there something that I am missing I have checked for firmware updates on the DSL modem and it shows its at the highest version I have also tried Speedtest net and got mb s download and mb s upload I know that mb service should give about from what ATT claims kb down kb up I am just not seeing it Any advice or help nbsp

Relevancy 46.01%

Help me in selecting an adsl router.
what is your opinion about linksys wag 120n?what is the coverage range.
anyone using the same?

A:Modem+router

What country do you live in? Who is your provider?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/242070-modem-router.html
Relevancy 46.01%

Just received a DSL modem from my ISP. It is a Westell e90 610014-o6. I'm told it is both a modem and a router. Does this mean it is a wireless router and I can do away with my old Belkin wireless router?

A:Modem/Router?

This is a wired only router, so you'll probably need the Belkin if you want wireless connections. Here's the way to connect that Belkin to the new router and retain the wireless capability.

Connecting two SOHO broadband routers together.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/modem-router.640615/
Relevancy 46.01%

Hey,

I installed a new router/modem for a family member (I believe it was a TP-Link archer D9) not too long ago, maybe 6 months.
They have had an ADSL connection with the same supplier for a long time.

Now the supplier has offered and set up FTTC and I presume VDSL and sent a new router/modem, Technicolor TG589vn v3

This means the TP Link router/modem no longer works with their connection.

So now the question is,

Do I set up the new unit as just a modem and forward to the old unit for use as just a router.
- If so whats the best way to do this

or

Do I use the Technicolor unit and reconfigure the network, loosing the advanced feature of the TP link and the money spent buying the unit.
There are multiple computers, wireless printers, smart TV's, synology NAS unit, mobile devices etc on the network.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/2x-router-modem.1168123/
Relevancy 46.01%

For about a week now I've been trying to set up a VPN for my home network. I've tried many different ways to do it including the built in Vista and XP VPN and even setting up a virtual Ubuntu server. When I try connecting to the VPN from my iPod I get an error message saying "The PPTP-VPN server did not respond. Try reconnecting. If the problem continues, verify your settings and contact your Administrator." I have attached (I hope) a picture of my network topology. Unfortunately my router isn't able to act as a VPN server so I can't do that. Also when I try to connect to the VPN I'm doing it from inside my home network, not sure that that affects anything tough.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vpn-on-pc-behind-router-behind-modem.917405/
Relevancy 46.01%

What wireless n modem router should I get?*Ok, so basically I used to live in a two bed flat and I've now moved into a three story house so realistically I need to go for a wireless n modem router. I've got a media centre pc which will have a wired connection into the router

I also want to use my xbox as a media extender using wifi (i have a wireless n adapter for this) and I want use my iphone's wifi function and possibly another media extender (not purchased yet) in the garage. I'd be streaming HD content over the network.

I want to know what router most suitable.The broadband connection will most likely be ASDL rather than DSL but I'd like to have recommendations for both.

Thx

Alex

A:Which modem router should I get?

You will have a wide variety for that as what you need is for home purposes.

Here are three that are fine and affordable prices:

Netgear WNDR3700 RangeMax Dual Band Wireless-N Gigabit Router (Premium Edition)

D-Link DIR-615 Wireless N Router

Netgear Wireless-N Router WNR2000

P.S I would recommend you Netgear and Linksys make.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/which-modem-router-should-i-get.141356/
Relevancy 46.01%

Hi so ive decided to replace my current modem/router
the iprimus All in one Modem/Router for ADSL 2+, Fibre Broadband & Voice - MP264
im currently connected to fibre optic internet, not sure if nbn tho
i recently bought an archer d7 as a replacement, but cant get it to work
is there a better replacement i could go with or any advice on how to get it to work

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/new-modem-router-help.1156602/
Relevancy 46.01%

Hello I just got dsl plz help Router Modem First and for the first time I have the modem and a linksys router setup and it works great I made it secured with a password and everything too My problem is when i turn the PC that is directly connected off The internet won t work for my laptop in the other room ONly when its powered on And logged on The router and modem stay powered on whent he pc is shut down so thats not the problem So First Router and Modem help plz my question is how do you First Router and Modem help plz setup the router so it continues to broadcast the wireless internet when the Desktop is shut down Btw even if im on standby i get no internet Its only First Router and Modem help plz when im logged in im finding that signal contuinues to broadcast Ive tried researching it and i thought it had to do with making the router PPPoE but im having trouble testing that since my ISP provider is retarded and i have the service but havent been able to get the account access and emails Thanks in advance nbsp