Windows Support Forum

Suggest a new Wifi Router

Q: Suggest a new Wifi Router

Hi everyone I m looking for a new wifi router I m looking for simultaneous ghz ghz My house is decently sized so good range is necessary but nothing exceptionally big larger than average American house At most about concurrent sessions Don t really care for custom firmware Don t really care for features just need to be able to port forward which I m confident any router can do Won t be doing anything outside of regular home use It needs to have at least one ethernet port Want it to be fast of course So I don t know if this matters or not but it will be placed in the middle floor corner of a Suggest Router new Wifi the house so if it d be possible to direct the Suggest a new Wifi Router signal both up and down that s good since usually the radiation pattern is mostly upward outward I Suggest a new Wifi Router don t think any exist that let you point the signal directionally degrees but that s ideal Suggest a new Wifi Router Modem is Motorola SURFboard SB I m not looking to spend a whole bunch and as you can see I don t think there are a lot of specific features that I need so don t throw me the most expensive ones possible I m guessing I can get everything I asked for for or less Thanks for reading willing to order online in the US or drive to the nearest best buy if the price is the same as online nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Suggest a new Wifi Router

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Suggest a new Wifi Router

I have the Netgear N600 and I love it! It is a great all round router. It goes for $75 on Amazon and the Gigabit version goes for $5 more. I would avoid Belkin routers since I have heard bad things about them. The Linksys N900 router also seems to be a possibility.

I would highly recommend the Netgear router (N600) because it is a good value for the performance. Keep in mind, when looking for a router, you should probably ignore the mbps ratings since your connection is probably not realistically close to that level. Look at warranties, reviews, and reliability. We have a ton of devices connected to the router at once (at least 10) and it works fine. It makes me lag a bit when gaming from time to time but that isn't usually the case.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/suggest-a-new-wifi-router.204240/
Relevancy 80.84%

Hello all I wanted to ask what kind of wifi router would you suggest to choose so it would be not overpriced and reliable

A:What kind of wifi router would you suggest

Newegg has a nice Linksys router on sale until the 30th http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124284

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/what-kind-of-wifi-router-would-you-suggest.838999/
Relevancy 59.34%

i am finding it difficult to connect to wifi. sometime it gets connected but i cant go away from broadband  more than 4-5metres. so please suggest me some good wireless drivers for this model.HP Notebook - 15-ay019tu

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/cant-connect-to-wifi-suggest-me-some-good-drivers/td-p/5704456
Relevancy 58.48%

Guys,

I have 20 to 100 Mbps(FTTH) line at home.

I am planning to put few servers online to serve web pages.

I have tried them taking online with normal home dsl routers, but router hangs very frequently.

Could you please suggest some affordable SME routers which will work 24/7 without getting hung.
Thanks in advance
Shyam

A:Please suggest an affordable SME router

Define affordable.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/please-suggest-an-affordable-sme-router.1052156/
Relevancy 57.62%

Hi,

I recently bought dlink D2750U WIFI ADSL modem/router, for my ADSL internet connection.

But I have now changed my ISP, who provide internet via cable(not telephone line). The ISP guy provides a cable modem(old modem) along with it.

I have connected my PC this way:
Cable modem -> Router -> PC through RJ45. I am able to access internet from my PC, but I am not able to get wifi working on the router. And I am logging onto internet through a dial up connection.
Questions:
1) Please help in configuring the router to get wifi working.
2) Also, my default gateway seems to be either 0.0.0.0 or blank. So, I am not able to login to the modem unless I remove the modem connection. Please let me know if I am doing anything wrong here.

Here are a few more details:
Output of ipconfig: http://pastebin.com/Zr9Eb7L7

A:Using dlink D2750U Wifi Modem/Router As a Wifi Router

Hey Narain. The D-Link unit you have appears to be a combo unit (modem and wireless router) since it connects straight to the RJ-11 phone line. This unit won't work with an ISP that provides service by way of coax cable. The D-Link will work if you want to use DSL, but you need a cable service compatible modem or combo modem/router if you use cable service.

ftp://support.dlink.co.in/broadband/DSL-2750U/manual/DSL-2750U_C1_Manual_IN_1.00.pdf

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/using-dlink-d2750u-wifi-modem-router-as-a-wifi-router.199643/
Relevancy 57.19%

Hi,
I am looking for a wirless router in the range of <100$. My office is is around 4500 sq.ft.
If the router is situated upstairs is there any connectivity problem. My presend router is speedtouch 585, and Iam not getting connection downstairs. Kindly advice me

KK:approve:

A:Suggest good ranged wireless router

First, stay with 802.11g and avoid 802.11n; the 11.n has yet to be adopted.

Second, look for a MIMO (multi-in, mult-out) class device for better range.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/suggest-good-ranged-wireless-router.122064/
Relevancy 57.19%

Looking at getting a Wireless B/G/N router that has removable antennae so that we can attach a range booster to it (Hawking). Trying to get signal to the house next door on our ranch - it's throwing distance.

My mom picked up a linksys N router but the antennae don't remove.

Hard to tell looking at pictures online.

Thanks

A:Plz Suggest a Router to Work w/Range Booster

How far can you throw? Any N router ought to handle the length of a football field if there are no obstacles. Are you working line of sight, and what adapter(s) is at the other end?

I think that all Belkin routers do NOT have detachable antennas. In general D-Link routers do have detachable; the D-Link DIR-615 definitely has two detachable antennas, and is a pretty decent router.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/plz-suggest-a-router-to-work-w-range-booster.850366/
Relevancy 57.19%

I have a netgear WGT624v2 wireless router and a old Surfboard SB3100 cable modem that had been pretty good over the years. But despite that it has had its issues with dropping the Internet. Over the last week it seems to be having one of it fits where the Internet is going down continuously. Usually fixable by unplugging and plugging in the router. ( it is updated on firm ware)
I do have several things that run through it wired and wireless, sling, roku, pc, laptops, and phones. I do not nessessarly care to trouble shoot I would like suggestions on a new one that has a good signal strength and that has a good connection record.
Presently I run Windows xp but will be swithching over to a new computer that has been sitting in its box for 2 years Windows 7

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/netgear-router-dropping-continuously-suggest-new.1076058/
Relevancy 52.89%

I have a desktop that is able to have wifi it's a adapter dell 1450 UBS Wireless 802.11a/b/g it works so does the router which is a Cisco Linsky E 1000 it shows um that it works I'm getting packet but I just can't seem to connect I don't understand it says that I am connected but I cannot get on the internet what am I doing wrong please help my desktop is compaq hp with wireless capability help!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-make-my-android-with-wifi-3g-connect-my-desktop-router-and-wifi-adapter.1085239/
Relevancy 52.46%

I am looking to replace my tired Linksys WRT54G router that is about 10 years old. I love the router, and its even better with DD-WRT on it, but I'm starting to have troubles with the wifi dropping all the connects for a couple seconds when running all my wireless devices. I have 3 smart phones, 2 tablets, 1 Chromecast, a smart TV, and Roku + a laptop or 3 in my house right now, and it seems like its getting to be a bit much for it.
I have had to completely re-flash the firmware twice this year to get the wifi working again, so I'm thinking its time for replacement.
I have been thinking about just getting the new WRT54GL for $50, but I'm also thinking it might be a good idea to upgrade the wifi technology past wireless G .
I'm wondering if my Tablet (Nexu 9), and our smartphones (Razr HD Max) along with the Chromecast will take advantage of the new wireless standards and higher speeds or not? If they will can someone recomend a decent wireless router that takes DD-WRT nicely in the sub-$100 range? Thanks!

A:Looking for new Wifi Router - Will Tablet/Smartphone take advantage of new wifi Standards?

I been programming in Android/Linux since 2010 and there is code that supports VHT is Very High Throughput. Right now the standards are HT is High Throughput .

As for DD-WRT firmware is like your overclocking your router pushing it beyond the OEM limits. I use to use DD-WRT but had quit many years ago since the routers that used that firmware would fail too much.

So best to buy a better business type enterprise router wired then you can use WiFi router as AP or just get WiFi AP(access point). To me WiFi Router is also Wired Router, but to use just a wired router and use WiFi AP through a switch is better. If one or the other goes you can easy replace them. Where as if the WiFi Router fails you would need to replace it.

If you really want to use DD-WRT then Look at Buffalo WiFi Routers some come pre-installed with DD-WRT on them. Frankly you really don't need DD-WRT today because newer routers or WiFi routers are much better built and offer much more power NPU = network processor units and 128, 256, 512, 1GB of RAM some have Dual Cores.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/looking-for-new-wifi-router-will-tablet-smartphone-take-advantage-of-new-wifi-standards.207572/
Relevancy 52.46%

I am currently stationed in Germany, and live in a village that has horrible internet. I cannot stream netflix, hulu, and downloads take several hours.

Is there a way to combine the internet that my cell phone receives and the wifi router I have at home to increase speed?

I have the ability to create a wifi hotspot from my cell phone if this helps.

Just something I thought up in my head, and wanted to find out if it is possible. Thanks in advance.

A:Combining Wifi Hotspot and Router Wifi for faster internet

You can, try this http://www.octopusplus.com/download.jsp or http://www.connectify.me/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/combining-wifi-hotspot-and-router-wifi-for-faster-internet.1099511/
Relevancy 52.03%

Hi Could you please tell me if this is possible:
My computer is connected to a wireless network. Can I hook up my D-link (DIR-412) to my computer and use the internet from the computer to output another wireless area?

Thanks sounds complicated.

A:Connected to WIFI and want to extend wifi with another wireless router

Where you live is your setup like this?

Internet
Modem
WiFi Router

or

Internet
Modem with built-in WiFi Router

If you want extend the WiFi you would get WiFi Access Point. Or you can take a WiFi Router and disable NAT, SPI, DCHP, then you create a static IP address. 192.168.x.50

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/connected-to-wifi-and-want-to-extend-wifi-with-another-wireless-router.199845/
Relevancy 52.03%

Wifi doesn't connect when i move away from wifi router. I have a wifi router installed in my drawing room where i get good browsing speed on phones and laptops. But the problem starts when i take my laptop from drawing room to my bedroom which is not more than 5 mtrs from router. Wifi signal drops to zero on laptop whereas it remains decent on phones. Earlier my laptop used to connect in bedroom as well..This is happening lately. Is there any solution?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/Wifi-doesn-t-connect-when-i-move-away-from-wifi-router/td-p/5768546
Relevancy 52.03%

I have been trying for some time to accomplish the title result. I'm not techie enough to do it.

What I want is to be able to use a Tablet to read in the rear of my home (which is out of range for incoming wifi signal.)

If I can set up the computer to do this, I will cable connect to a router in that area.
I have two computers and could use either.

1.a PC running XP (should update to windows 8.1, but have never bothered to do that, since XP works just fine. (I had this computer sharing to the router, when I had DSL internet connection, using Windows wizard to set it up) Couldn't get it to work when I switched to WIFI internet access) I could switch to win 7 or 8.1 if that would help.

2. a Lap Top running WIN 8.1,

Any help is appreciated.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/75655-internet-access-via-wifi-share-wifi-via-second-router.html
Relevancy 51.6%

i have posted this but no one has even viewed it as the title wasn't very good.

Anyway, i have 2 wifi routers, one in the lounge that is on internet, one in my room that is not.

i want them both to be able to supply internet.

the one in my room will just be used to ethernet internet into my PS3.

alternative is that i use the wifi on my laptop then ethernet my laptop to PS3, is this possible?

Relevancy 51.17%

I have a Netgear WGR614v9 router and was wondering if its possible to use this as a wireless adapter for my computer?? I think it might support the DDWRT open source firmware??? I am wanting to do this STRICTLY as a learning purpose.

Relevancy 51.17%

Actually my wifi adapter can catch all other wifi signal except my wifi router.

A:my notebook wifi adapter don't get my wifi router

There are several resons.1. The wifi signal might be too weak at the point where the computer is.2. Other device radiation/signals might be blocking it.3. Your router signal might be hodden (check EWS of router).4. Signal broadcasting might have been turned off on router. Since other signals are found on the computer, there shouldnt be a issue with your couputer.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/my-notebook-wifi-adapter-don-t-get-my-wifi-router/td-p/5725324
Relevancy 50.74%

Hello I am a bit of a hard time with routers on one network IP + dynamic Issues = with ADSL Wifi Router Router and unfortunately as things stand now they both have to be there So I just got ADSL and the only modem option available to me was one with a -port wired router I hooked that up into my existing network of about computers laptops and desktops which Wifi Router + ADSL Router = Issues with dynamic IP is connected by another -port WiFi router I started out with my only Wifi Router + ADSL Router = Issues with dynamic IP goal of hooking of these computers to the internet after I got the DSL by some MAC filtering configured in the WiFi router But having the DSL modem router has created another issue I am using separate IP gateways for both the routers which are in the same subset I can connect to both of them from all my machines The problem is I don t have any control over which computer connects to what router I am trying to avoid setting each PC up with a static IP that needs internet access Here is my setup in more detail My ADSL router is and my WiFi router is and both have the subnet My ADSL connection has dynamic IP and the modem router is connected into a LAN port on the WiFi router I have tried disabling DHCP on the modem router and changed my WiFi router IP to that of the modem which was counter productive to no avail Someone mentioned MAC address cloning but I am not sure if it will work in this setup Since I configured this I am seeing quite a few IP conflicts which are probably my fault as I didn t check when I was setting up static IP on computers that needed internet access I just want these routers to work in harmony if possible Can I just use one of them as a DHCP server I do not want to use static IP for any computer whether or not it connects to the internet Right now I am using it for computers that want access to the internet by guiding them to right gateway and the computers that need not be connected just have auto IP configured I would rather use MAC filters for this I am going to stop typing now before I dream about this mess I have on my hands Any help here will be welcome Thank You nbsp

Relevancy 49.88%

Hello one and all I am sincerely hoping someone can assist with my little networking problem as i m tearing my hair out now Here at work we have a Vigor Modem Router hosting our connection to the world It was originally on DHCP amp the computers amp printers found their own IP addresses without problem We added a Linksys router via ethernet to a lan port not the wan in another area of the yard This on Adding wifi a static IP to router router was fine also on DHCP and connecting wirelessly from a laptop or mobile phone was a doddle Then our oh so wonderful IT geek Adding a wifi router to router on static IP decided to put the Vigor on a Static IP along with all the computers connected to it This has some how cut off the wifi capability of the Linksys router now It is basically acting as a hub for two laptops and nothing else In simplistic terms with some detail what settings need changing on the Linksys if any The Adding a wifi router to router on static IP Vigors internal IP is Linksys is both on subnet I have been advised to set the Linksys to a static IP on the Internet Connection option but what set of figures do i need for that Fingers crossed Stonkin nbsp

Relevancy 49.45%

Hello I have a wireless adsl router in preparation for broadband arriving in our area soon long story and have some questions Network help!?!? Wifi Wifi Router / I have a laptop with wifi card and want to setup a home network with this and my PC plugged-in via LAN Wifi Router / Wifi Network help!?!? cable to the router laptop is XP PC is Win Wifi Router / Wifi Network help!?!? K I can t seem to get this to work one minute the PC can see the laptop in network neighbourhood and then the other way round but I can never access shared directories on either is there a good guide somewhere to Wifi Router / Wifi Network help!?!? set this up Also shouldn t I be able to use the router from the PC as if it were a wifi card i e on the laptop once the wifi card is plugged in it displays all wifi networks in the area and their signal strength etc how can I do this using the router PC With the laptop I can connect to our neighbours wifi router and use their bradband connection but I want to do the same from the PC is that possible Thanks in advance all P S router is a D-Link DSL- nbsp

Relevancy 46.44%

Hi FASTER Bridge ethernet-->wifi using vs - MUCH Wifi with Bridge router there If you've a spare Wifi vs ethernet-->wifi Bridge using router - MUCH FASTER with Bridge old router which you can set up as a wifi bridge and connect a bit of LAN cable from Laptop into the Bridge router you'll generally get FAR better performance from even a cheap router Logic behind this is that most Wifi adapters are half duplex whereas a router is full duplex and throughput will be significantly better Another advantage is that you can still use GHZ band even if your PC or whatever only can handle GHZ wifi If your router doesn't have bridging facilities you can often do it by a firmware upgrade --for most routers try this www dd-wrt com Unleash Your Router Note --this is the Bridging router --not your main one that you use to connect to your ISP with --don't want to cause people to have inoperable boxes I've found using a Router as a bridge far better than having to have loads of LAN cable all round the house --and also antennae in wifi routers are hugely better than most built in Wifi cards so you can in a lot of cases avoid extra slowdown caused by wifi extenders In my quot man shed quot -- a good metres from the main house - could just about get Mib s on a very poor GHZ wifi signal from the wifi card Laptop now acceptable - still with GHZ wifi but using quot Bridged quot method with an old EDIMAX wifi port router Around Mib s still a lot slower by about X - I'm getting nearly Gb s download in main house on GHZ wifi --ISL has excellent Internet than in the main house but perfectly OK for streaming Football etc when friends are around and we're all drinking Beer etc -- no complaints from quot the Other quot about noise cheers of quot Goooooal quot clearing up etc etc Good even for a SLOW Ping -- remember I'm over metres away from my House and on GHZ Wifi -- GHZ not receivable at that distance added -- even if your PC laptop doesn't have a LAN connector it's still worthwhile doing this with a USB-- gt Lan adapter -- even a USB -- gt LAN works really well -- USB speed will easily handle Mib s and adapter can cost as little as EUR - those cheap Chinese unbranded ones work fine too I've had simultaneous connections through that Bridge router this way -- guys had laptops with no LAN cards - they used the adapters --all very happy USB quot -- gt LAN adapter-- gt Lan cable-- gt Port on Bridge router Cheers jimbo

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/67451-wifi-vs-ethernet-wifi-bridge-using-router-much-faster-bridge.html
Relevancy 45.58%

How would one set up a home wifi network with a non-wifi router? I have a router for my voip phone but it is not wireless. Do I just add a wireless card to my main PC?

I do not want to remove my current router. None of the wifi routers I have looked at have VOIP ports on the back.

Will adding a wifi PCI card do the trick? Most of the wifi cards show them in use with a wifi router.

A:wifi with non-wifi router

what about a wifi access point that plugs into an ethernet port on your existing router?

you can use a wifi card to do the same, but its a bit fiddly..

by the way, is it just to network pc's only?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wifi-with-non-wifi-router.51270/
Relevancy 45.15%

The thing is that I want a n router, a wifi one. Now I want QoS and good port forwarding since is going to be for gaming. Also it has to have good coverage.
Also I have heard about some that come with a USB extension for a hard drive so you can have a newtowork hard drive. Is that true or you need a nas hdd for that?

So as you can see I would appreciate a lot of feedback, some models, brands, links, etc. It's all going to help.

Thanks guys.

Relevancy 45.15%

I am using virtual router+ in my laptop....and using wifi with my xperia L.....but for a few days after connecting wifi with my phone it's not working...it just works for a second then autometically disconneted......its neither my mobile problem nor software it just a problem of my laptop.....please give me a solution.....what should I do?????????????

A:Wifi router

Simplest and easiest solution is the get a "real" wireless router & connect your laptop & phone accordingly.

Need a few questions answered before we can really help you further because there are too many vague things in your initial question...

Who is the ISP?
Did the ISP provide you with a cable modem or DSL modem? Does it have built in WIFI?
How did you setup the wifi from the virtual router software? WEP, WPA, etc?
Is the laptop connected to cable/dsl via wire or is it wireless? if it's wireless then for God's sake just use that wifi for your phone as well!
Is the laptop a PC or Mac? What version of Windows or Mac OS X are you running?

Post back, Hope this helps!!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wifi-router.198600/
Relevancy 45.15%

I was selected to participate in the FCC's broadband tests facilitated by Sam Knows (SamKnows - Building a broadband measurement solution for Europe and America)

They are suposed to be sending a Netgear WNR3500L and I would like to know how it stacsk up against the NetGear WNR1000v2 (Wireless N 150 Router)

Thank you for your help

A:Can you tell me which is the better Wifi router?

Well you could do a side by side comparrision and decide what you think. Here's the WNR3500L Answer

Then the WNR1000 v2 Answer

Check the specs and look at the forum questions and problems.
Just a thought
Fabe

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/138226-can-you-tell-me-better-wifi-router.html
Relevancy 45.15%

Have a verizon router actiontec mi424wr all of the sudden I cannot conect to the internet thru wifi I have directv 2 laptops and a cell phon and now nothing will connect to the internet had verizon send me a new router and still same problem. I get 2 messages one connection is limited and the other not valid ip address. can anyone help

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/router-wifi-help.1163874/
Relevancy 45.15%

I have a Belkin wireless router. I have a Belkin wireless print server. The router is not connected to the Internet because where I live, only has WIFI service. Which means I also have a Linksys Speed Booster,WUSBG54 to connect to the internet. My problem is that my print server will only print if the CAT 5E is connected from my laptop to the router. At that point I lose my Internet connection. I have to unplug the CAT 5E from the back to gain Internet access.
Is this the way it has to be?

A:WIFI Router

Configure the router and get the wireless printer to work. Through the router, (it should not need the internet to print), Then Configure the wireless adapter to connect to the internet. Not sure, but it should work.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wifi-router.477205/
Relevancy 45.15%

Windows 10 trendnet tew711br TWC ethernet connection

Worked ok at first than I forgot password and tried to reset. Now all I can get is ethernet and cannot connect to chromecast or other devices. Wifi sign is there but it remains on ethernet. Help and thanks.

Relevancy 45.15%

What wifi router should i get for windows 7? if it helps i have a lenovo tower. thanks

Relevancy 45.15%

So currently i have a Netgear WNR2000V4 and it sucks! the speed of it drops from 60mbps to 20mbps and stays there. even after reboot. it sucks and nothing will fix it.

so im in the lookings for a new router. im looking to spend less then $70. anyone know of a really good 300mbps router? i will be connecting 10+ devices to it at all times.

i was looking into these but open to suggestions:

D-Link Xtreme Gigabit Wireless N300 Router (DIR-655) - Newegg.com

TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND Wireless N Gigabit Router Up to 300Mbps/ USB port x1/ Detachable Antenna x3/ IP QoS/ QSS Button - Newegg.com

Relevancy 45.15%

can i connnect 2 computer (1pc and 1 laptop) wirelessly without a router. if so what do i need and slo do any of you guys know of any good wifi tools about that are free. thanks

Relevancy 44.72%

I guys, heres my configuration

modem (wired)---->TW100-S4W1CA (wired)---->Nexxt Nebula 150

I want to have a wifi connection trhough the nebula for laptops, ipad y cellphones, but i can only get to the nebula setup screen and no wireless connection

Can u help?

Thanks
Reuben

Relevancy 44.72%

Tried configuring wifi router on my laptop but the login page was not loading.....neither on chrome nor on IE.
Later Successfully configured Router through mobile, i was able to use internet through wifi on my mobile without any problem.
When i again tried to use wifi on laptop it shows following errors. Pls help ...

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/380817-cant-configure-wifi-router.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Hi All We have been using an unlimited data plan Tether on my win-ph cell phone for Internet in the house That's -PCs -tablets and -phone all using Wifi for Internet We have had zero problems internally but the cellular service is less than stellar so I have had the ADSL reconnected I am wondering if buying AC-wifi a or not? router new - Buying a new AC-Wifi router makes sense but then I read this page What is the actual real-life speed of wireless networks SG Buying a new AC-wifi router - or not? FAQ The thing being that the devices we are connecting to the Wifi-AP are all M G or N toys So I have gone back to the old trusty Buffalo -dual band DD-Wrt router and a Actiontec ADSL Modem as it seems more than adequate for Buying a new AC-wifi router - or not? our household needs I do have a TP-Link N modem router but the G band stopped working after three months and TP-Link have been moronically useless at fixing it I have turned off Wifi switch on back and just use it as a router for the home network I guess I could turn Wifi back on and disable the GHz band in setup Is the Actiontec modem GT D-NF likely to be a strangle-point Would the TP-Link N have better modem performance Thoughts and suggestions Thanks

A:Buying a new AC-wifi router - or not?

Only if you plan on streaming media off of a server, or have the option of getting Gb Internet in your area. Otherwise, just a waste of money.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/53839-buying-new-ac-wifi-router-not.html
Relevancy 44.72%

I have a NetGear WNDR330 wireless N dual requency router,using Comcast cable,works well is fast. Lately,on boot up to Dell XPS1530 it is taking about 2 minutes to connect used to take 15 seconds. Did update to Service Pack 2 last week.

Please help.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wifi-router-connectivity.834849/
Relevancy 44.72%

My neibour have a WiFi network. He allowed me to access his network. But the signal is very weak in my home. I have a WiFi router in home which can be setup in WiFi range extender mode. I don't have a modem at home. Only this WiFi router. If I configure this router , can I connect my desktop PC to this router for accessing that WiFi network. ????
Is it possible without having a modem???

Relevancy 44.72%

i have purchased a new wifi router i have configured it to an open authentication
i have a laptop windows7 ultimate (dell). It shows my network but whenever i say connect it says "connecting" and then "windows was unable to connect".

Thanks

A:wifi router not connecting

Quote: Originally Posted by diasansley

i have purchased a new wifi router i have configured it to an open authentication
i have a laptop windows7 ultimate (dell). It shows my network but whenever i say connect it says "connecting" and then "windows was unable to connect".
Thanks

We need a lot more info. Like your systems specs, what router, what network setup, etc.
Ken J

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/127984-wifi-router-not-connecting.html
Relevancy 44.72%

I'm using a DLink router for my wifi and use the Internet on my new iPhone 6+. On my speedtest app I am getting both a download and upload speed that seems adequate. The Ping is showing as 13ms. Despite this any image opens very slowly or not at all. Outside my home, images open without an issue, hence not a phone problem. What could be the issue here

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wifi-router-problem.1167431/
Relevancy 44.72%

I have a BSNL Wimax internet India connection I get input from a terrace antenna to a modem OX P An ethernet cable is then connected between the modem and the laptop My internet works perfectly fine when the ethernet cable is plugged in directly to the laptop I have also got a TP-Link TL-WR N Mbps Wireless N Router When I plug in the output from the modem OX P to the WAN port blue on TL-WR N my internet worked for a week via the wifi router without any configuration My internet service went down for a week due to a fault When it was restored the internet via the modem to laptop via an ethernet cable works but doesn t work when I give the output wifi via router internet No of the modem OX P to the wifi router WAN port I have tried resetting both the wifi router and the modem to original settings MAC cloning etc but nothing seems to help Also disabled DHCP on wifi router but no joy The WAN light turns off as soon as I connect to the modem via the ethernet cable I have a feeling that something isn t right with my modem Can someone please help nbsp

Relevancy 44.72%

I have an internal ATT Novatel Mobile Broadband Card that connects internally to the internet. Can I connect two computers using a router? What router should I use? I also want to use a print server. I do not have an external DSL modem.
The wireless connection says Dell 5520 Cingular Mobile Broadband (3G HSDPA)

Relevancy 44.72%

Hello,
I bought a Linksys router E1000. I connected my PC (Windows 7)with wire. I also connectedmy father laptop (Windows 7) with integrated WiFi modem in it. Everything worked fine. Then I tried to connect my sisters laptop (Win XP) , it did not have integrated WiFi adapter, so I bought the D-Link DWA-131 Wireless N USB Adapter Nano. I installed it drivers, it saw my router, but it couldn't connect. It connected couple of times, but only for a few seconds. What I should do?

A:WiFi, router and Windows XP

Kothas said:

Hello,
I bought a Linksys router E1000. I connected my PC (Windows 7)with wire.
I also connectedmy father laptop (Windows 7) with integrated WiFi modem in it.

I tried to connect my sisters laptop (Win XP) , it did not have integrated WiFi adapter, so I bought the D-Link DWA-131 Wireless N USB Adapter Nano. I installed it drivers, it saw my router, but it couldn't connect. It connected couple of times, but only for a few seconds. What I should do?Click to expand...

Frequently we see that mixed-mode (eg G,N) connections interfere with each other - - force the Linksys to G-Only mode will usually allow all to connect

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wifi-router-and-windows-xp.158402/
Relevancy 44.72%

Hi all I'd say I'm quot very experienced quot or expert when it comes to networking but my experience with wireless AC is limited I currently have an Asus RT-N U that I absolutely love I do pro-AV and have installed dozens of those and never had an issue and they have incredible range and speed for the price I am ready to upgrade to AC but am kind of surprised the quot top end quot routers are all over I know there's tri-band and dual-band but does Help WiFi pick a (AP)! new Router me anyone have experience with the top end ones I don't necessarily need crazy speed from AC since if I need crazy speed I'm going to go gigabit Ethernet I'm eyeing the RT-AC U or RT-AC U right now Anyone have experience I'm open to other manufacturers but so far I think Asus does a nice job with their web interface and feature set BTW - I don't need Help me pick a new WiFi Router (AP)! this to do routing but I'd prefer a router to an AP in case this changes I know Asus has AP mode

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/55949-help-me-pick-new-wifi-router-ap.html
Relevancy 44.72%

I have a pocket wi-fi being shared by 3 laptops.. I want to connect a Zyxel Wireless N-lite Home Router so that I can also plug-in other LAN connected devices, e.g. VOIP phone. Is there a way to connect it or are there other devices I need for this internetworking. By the way, currently the router is connected to WiMAX broadband modem which I want disconnected already due to low available bandwidth.

The laptops OS are XP, Vista and Windows 7 and MacOS.

Thanks very much guys and more power to you.

Relevancy 44.72%

So I've tried setting up my desktop PC to create a hotspot so my mobile phone could get a WiFi internet connection at home However I've run into some problems I used some guide I found online that used the Command Prompt to set up desktop WiFi router as PC Using a hotspot using two lines netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode allow ssid Test key testingnetwork netsh wlan start hostednetwork And this seemed to work fine phone connected and I went online on it However I wanted this network to start automatically everytime I started up the PC So I put those lines in a batch file and used the task scheduler to set that bat file to run everytime I log in using administrator rights However it seemed that now my phone did connect to the network WiFi connection symbol appeared Using desktop PC as WiFi router but I didn't receive any data When I tried to run the script again the first line executed fine but when I tried to activate the network I got this message quot The hosted network couldn't be started The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation quot And in the network settings the created network didn't show up Any idea what might be going wrong

A:Using desktop PC as WiFi router

You don't have a wireless router, just a computer with a wireless adapter connected to the internet by cable? Just trying to be sure what is going on.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/50000-using-desktop-pc-wifi-router.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Hi guys I bought a dlink wireless N router DIR- l two days back and i m not able to set up the connection I have made all the connections usb to router router to my Pc as indicated in the user manual i was supposed to open a browser and type quot http quot or quot http dlinkrouter quot to get the setup wizard but it always says quot webpage not available quot no matter how many times I try Am i am missing something here Should i change anything else before doing this btw wen i ping it says dhcp is disabled and im totally clueless if that affects in anyway This is my first time using a wifi router and i m totally stuck Any help would be really appreciated Thank you i have tried changing the static help need router setting up wifi ip or whatever to the router range as suggested by someone else n wen i do that i cannot connect to need help setting up wifi router the internet at all i m not that familiar with all the internet terminologies so please make it as simple as possible nbsp

A:need help setting up wifi router

Reset the router to factory defaults and then connect a computer to a router LAN port. If you still cannot access the router's configuration pages ...

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

[Press ENTER after each command.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-help-setting-up-wifi-router.1134528/
Relevancy 44.72%

Ive only had causes cut to HP router wifi notebook in out and my computer for a few weeks nbsp When I first started HP notebook causes wifi router to cut in and out using it it was very slow and the wifi kept cutting in and out nbsp I thought it was an issue with just my computer until everyone in my house was having the HP notebook causes wifi router to cut in and out same problem I was having nbsp Cutting off at the same time nbsp So I thought it was the router we never had any problems before I got this computer nbsp But I HP notebook causes wifi router to cut in and out thought about it and noticed that the time I got the computer was the same time we started to have router problems nbsp So I turned my computer off for a day nbsp NO router problems for any of the other computers nbsp I turn it back on for a day router problems for everyone nbsp nbsp I homeschool so my computer is vital to my kids schooling nbsp Because there computers are connected to mine to do school wirelessly nbsp So right now I have it hooked up to my router by ethernet cable very inconvient this way cause these really no safe place to put my computer where the router is set up nbsp And it works great on just the cable nbsp No wifi cut offs for anyone esle either nbsp So my computer is causing the Wifi crashing nbsp I have done all my Windows and HP updates nbsp And have updated my wireless driver Realtrk RTL EE nbsp Wifi rounter info Huawel Technologies Model HG eCompter specs HP Notebook Windows bit Intel i U GB memory TB Hard Drive

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/HP-notebook-causes-wifi-router-to-cut-in-and-out/td-p/5657923
Relevancy 44.72%

Hi,
I have Windows 7 on Dell N4110. I am unable to connect to my netgear router wirelessly. If i restart the router, it may work for some time but then again gets disconnected. However, i can connect to it through wired connection. Others in my apartment can connect to the router. They dont have windows 7 (they use vista, ubuntu). Its working fine for them. I have tried many things like updating the router, disabling firewall, changing wireless security settings, updating windows but none of them seem to work. My friend who has the same laptop also cant connect when I cant. It happens simultaneously. As soon as my connection is disconnected, his also disconnects. Please let me know what the problem is.

A:Cannot connect to wifi on my router

lets see an xirrus screen shot

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector
Download and install
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC
Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and paste here.
http://www.xirrus.com/Products/Wi-Fi-Inspector.aspx
Direct link to the program is here http://wpc.475a.edgecastcdn.net/00475A/XirrusWiFiInspectorSetup.1.2.0.exe

{If the above link does not work heres another link http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_download/fid,77196-order,4/download.html}

Then run and install the program - on a wireless enabled PC/Laptop
if you get an error - You need NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.

Run the program

A user guide is available here http://www.xirrus.com/Products/Wi-Fi-Inspector/xirruswifiinspectorguide1-2-0.aspx

post a screen shot of the program running - if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information, and also post which network "Adapter Name" (1st column) is yours on the list

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
Full details are here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Posting_a_Screenshot

Note:
For a reliable (or robust as the Xirrus user guide says) wireless connection you need a signal of about -70 dBm or better.

If you are using the Mac OS then use http://www.istumbler.net/
------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-connect-to-wifi-on-my-router.1045246/
Relevancy 44.72%

I have an HP Mini laptop with Windows XP pro and It will no longer connect to my wireless router It started with McAfee Security Center warning me that my computer was not protected When I clicked fix nothing happened except to router WiFi connect Can my not that after my Wifi connection will not stay connected I scanned the system and found nothing I downloaded Malware Bytes Can not connect to my WiFi router and two other spyware products and Malware Bytes found anything and removed something called Perfessional Malware Next I uninstalled McAfee which did not solve the problem Next I repaired the IPStack then ran Winsocketfix routine Then I reloaded all device drivers from the manufacture CD and still no internet Then I downloaded and ran Combefix I also encountered this forum and followed instructions to created an attach txt DDS txt file and GMER log I am ready to upload those files when appropriate The last thing I tried was to hard code the IP address etc in the wireless connection That has allowed me to connect to a nearby unsecured connection but to weak to see the internet I still cannot connect to my wireless router I forgot to mention I have a Wire modem router Thanks in advance for your help

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/308506/can-not-connect-to-my-wifi-router/
Relevancy 44.72%

Does anyone know if the TDL- virus I have a variant of it is able to infect a computer through a neighbors unsecured router As careful as I am I keep getting it back I used to run a hosting company year ago and have a good amount of experience with PC s never seen anything like this before however I m trying to figure out how I got it on my brand new PC within minutes after I opened it running Win Home Premium gt Before first boot I unplugged my router cable modem wifi switch Router? TDL-4 / Virus Through Wifi on PC shut off and shut down all other PC s owned gt Created Restore DVD s via brand new blank DVD TDL-4 Virus Through Wifi / Router? s gt Installed TDL-4 Virus Through Wifi / Router? Kapersky Anti-Virus using store bought CD and scanned gt Plugged in modem only and ran hardwire connection to PC wifi and router still off gt Installed All Windows Updates and Kapersky updates and ran full scan again gt Installed and updated Malwarebites from manufacture website http www malwarebytes org receieved noticed of blocked tunneling attack gt Installed and ran hijack this manufacture website http free antivirus com hijackthis Which verified I had TDL- Bootkit Is this even possible Any idea what steps I should take once I get it back from Sony and it s clean I hope

A:TDL-4 Virus Through Wifi / Router?

Hello, I moved this to Am I Infected as you probably have not removed it. I doubt it went across. But if they are redirecting then its another problem and needs to be fixed.Download the FixTDSS.exeSave the file to your Windows desktop.Close all running programs.If you are running Windows XP, turn off System Restore. How to turn off or turn on Windows XP System RestoreDouble-click the FixTDSS.exe file to start the removal tool.Click Start to begin the process, and then allow the tool to run.Restart the computer when prompted by the tool.After the computer has started, the tool will inform you of the state of infection (make sure to let me know what it said)If you are running Windows XP, re-enable System Restore.Download aswMBR to your desktop.Double click the aswMBR.exe to run it.Click the "Scan" button to start scan:On completion of the scan click "Save log", save it to your desktop and post in your next reply:NOTE. aswMBR will create MBR.dat file on your desktop. This is a copy of your MBR. Do NOT delete it.Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it. Checkmark the following checkboxes: Flush DNS Report IE Proxy Settings Reset IE Proxy Settings Report FF Proxy Settings Reset FF Proxy Settings List content of Hosts List IP configuration List Winsock Entries List last 10 Event Viewer log List Installed Programs List Devices List Users, Partitions and Memory size. List Minidump FilesClick Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run. Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/440512/tdl-4-virus-through-wifi-router/
Relevancy 44.72%

Admittingly, I know little about networking and WiFi routers.

But I can't help wonder why two lights (labeled Wireless and Ethernet) flash on my Linksys WiFI router when my PC works on a document, searches for a file, or performs other routine functions that don't involve accessing the Internet or LAN.

Is it paranoid to think that information being transmitted despite a firewall and anti-virus software that claims my PC is clean? Or are these router lights flash for reasons other than indicating transmission? Note: they don't flash when the Ethernet cable is disconnected from the PC.

Any help would be appreciated.

Relevancy 44.72%

Hey So I move house tomorrow and the apartment building I am moving into has free wifi which is rare and fantastic my router wifi like a dongle? Can use I the only issue is I have been using powerline for ages so Can I use my router like a wifi dongle? now need to look at alternative methods of connecting I have a TL-WR N by TP-Link and I was wondering if I am able to use this in a similar way to a wifi dongle so connecting the the building wifi and then plugging my PC into the router via a ethernet cable Basically they have on the ground floor a wifi router and I will be in the basement so I am worried I will need quite a strong wifi signal to connect to it hence wanting to the use the TP-Link as its got two aerials and a very strong signal on it I know this is something best to ask when there but I want to know if there is anything I can do while I still have the internet to make the process easier once I ve moved If this is not possible does anyone have any suggestions of wifi dongles which have very powerful signal ranges Thanks loads nbsp

A:Can I use my router like a wifi dongle?

If the router has Wireless Bridge (also called AP Client) mode it can be used as you desire (to "extend" a wireless network to an ethernet segment). Check the user guide or browse through the configuration pages to determine the router's capabilities.

Many USB wireless adapters have an integrated antenna and are just one piece (like a USB flash drive) while others have an external antenna and include a short USB cable. In general the latter type are better for working with a weaker signal and, of course, are more easily placed in a better location.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-i-use-my-router-like-a-wifi-dongle.1152674/
Relevancy 44.72%

I have the linksys WAP11 router and only one computer (laptop(MAC)) works on it at a time. I called Linksys but they say I have to pay $ to get the answer ( I am out of warranty period). Any advice. I am using two MAC's and have my modem connecting to my Wireless Access Point WAP11 wifi router.

A:How do I use 2 laptops on one wifi router?

It looks like the WAP11 is only an Access Point. Do you have a router connected as well? The router allows you to have mulitple computers online at the same time. Right now you are only connected through your modem, which allows 1 computer to connect at a time.

You need to get a router if you do not have one. Once you have a router, you can post back and we will help you set it up.

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

Would you please take a few moments to read the following. It will help to make your Techspot experience a more pleasurable one.

Techspot FAQ.

A message for all newcomers.

SNGX1275`s A guide to making a good post/thread.

Thanks.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-i-use-2-laptops-on-one-wifi-router.77515/
Relevancy 44.72%

Ok I know the basic setup for normal connection INTERNET to ROUTER using WIFI lt pc pc so my question is my router is in my house my friend a few houses down and router wifi question can t get net right now so hes using a netgear wg v usb adapter to gain internet thru my wifi his son s laptop wifi and router question s wifi card can t get my wifi from their house Is it possible that I can hook up a router with wifi to his netgear usb adapter and set it up so the adapter picks up my wifi signal passes it to the router and their router can spread the signal thru their house so his son can pick it up I hope this can be understood Ill try to do a small diagram x and x just random houses my house r router wifi o x a d x friends house netgear picking up my wifi hooked to router with wifi Can this be used to repeat the signal so sons laptop can get it anyway again hope this is understood i don t see why it woulnd t work but then again networking isn t my forte any questions comments ill answer as best i wifi and router question can thanks for any help nbsp

A:wifi and router question

You should be able to achieve this by a wireless repeater.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Wire...xtender/dp/B000IE8STS/ref=tag_stp_s2_edpp_url

It does depend on the range from your current router and where you place the repeater though.

It is also possible to configure some routers to be repeaters - albeit slightly more tricky than just buying a repeater. Again, it does depend on signal strength etc. The repeating has to come from a router - not from a receiving card.

If you log onto your friends router, there might be a "Repeater Mode" or something similar. Alternatively, give it a google to see if someone has found a way to do it.

Search for example:

Belkin WG2400 convert to repeater

Hope that helps

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wifi-and-router-question.1087515/
Relevancy 44.72%

I'm going to re-format my C: drive in the next few days. The computer's slow as anything and it keeps crashing alot.

I run a WiFi router from it, to serve as a connection for my laptop. I presume I will have to re-install the drivers and set-up from scratch. What settings should I look at writing down so all this is easier to do? It took me ages to get it up and running first time. I run Zone Alarm.

A:WiFi router set-up after format

Well, unless you have a very unusual configuration, your router or the connection to the laptop should not be affected at all. If you have a wired connection to the desktop, the default TCP/IP configuration after the install will connect just fine. Obviously, you'll have to configure ZoneAlarm to allow access, that that's not anything to do with the router.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wifi-router-set-up-after-format.370534/
Relevancy 44.72%

I bought the below model and i'm not particularly impressed with it , it costs me $79.99 + tax, i see Amazon has a 750 model for $10.00 more .

NETGEAR N600 Dual Band Wi-Fi Router (WNDR3400)

My computer is a Dell Inspiron running Win 7 sp1 64 bit , just a basic bare bones model really . A tablet running old android is the only other thing thats connects wirelessly and i'm not convinced the dual bands make a difference .

The tablet is still painfully slow and i see no improvement over my old 150 rated speed single band router .

Open to all suggestions

Thanks

A:Need advice on new WiFi router for under $100.00

In order to use the dual bands, namely the 5ghz band, you need a dual band adapter. A lot of things in your house can cause interference with the 2.4 ghz band, cordless phones, microwaves, etc. I use the 5 ghz band on the weekend when there are many 2.4 ghz connections around me. The 2.4 ghz works best through walls and other obstructions.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/344028-need-advice-new-wifi-router-under-100-00-a.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Hello, Could anyone suggest me a great wifi N router? Something not too expensive. Maybe sub-$100 range. Two things that are most important to me - range and connection stability. I'm not too big on throughput and I dont stream any video wirelessly. I've heard a lot about the D-link DIR 655. Its one of the oldest around and seems to be still quite popular.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/a-decent-wifi-n-router.978549/
Relevancy 44.72%

Really just curious if I am the only one that keeps a second cheap, or just older wifi router as backup.

I have an E4200 setup with the same ssid/password, and as many other general settings possible as my primary wifi router, (Netgear R8000). If the primary tanks, I just plug in the backup. I would think the people that play around with alternate firm wares would keep a backup router just in case of bricking.

A:Anyone else keep a backup wifi router?

Gorankar said:

Really just curious if I am the only one that keeps a second cheap, or just older wifi router as backup.

I have an E4200 setup with the same ssid/password, and as many other general settings possible as my primary wifi router, (Netgear R8000). If the primary tanks, I just plug in the backup. I would think the people that play around with alternate firm wares would keep a backup router just in case of bricking.Click to expand...

I don't keep a backup WiFi router, but it doesn't seem like a bad idea. I guess it really depends on your situation. If my primary router were to go down, it wouldn't be a big deal as I would be able to hook up a cable almost anywhere in my home. I could also pick up a new router relatively easy from any nearby stores.

https://hardforum.com/threads/anyone-else-keep-a-backup-wifi-router.1905954/
Relevancy 44.72%

I have one of those motherboards which has an AC WiFI Adapter built on it... http://images.anandtech.com/doci/827...-ITX%20Top.jpg

That one to be exact.
Now I've followed these steps;

netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=NAME key=PASSWORD
netsh wlan start hostednetwork

Putting those into CMD and it comes up fine as told in the tutorial.
The problem comes however in turning sharing on, this then turns my internet on the Ethernet port off, it'll say something like it being limited and stays on Unidentified Network forever on that Ethernet port. As soon as I turn sharing off on the Virtual Wifi connection I've made, the Ethernet internet then goes back to normal and I gain internet access again.

This is obviously useless because I need the internet through the Ethernet to be able to setup a Virtual WiFi Hotspot thingy.

Can anyone help?
Thanx.

A:Need help trying to set up a Virtual WiFi Router...

I've just tried a few free Virtual Hotspot programs that were most commonly used on the net, they all go to create the hotspot but fail.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/55109-need-help-trying-set-up-virtual-wifi-router.html
Relevancy 44.72%

In the past, I had a linksys wifi g modem router. Never had a problem.

Beg of this year I went for Wifi n and selected the Netgear DGN 3500 modem router. A disaster, always crashing down.

So I am looking to replace it for either a modem router or only router which support:
- Wifi N and G
- Glan (at least 2 ports)
- one USB for a network USB HDD.

Any advice?

A:advice for best wifi n router

This is what I have been using for a couple of years: Dlink DIR-655. It fits your criteria and it has been reliable. Costs about $100.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/96825-advice-best-wifi-n-router.html
Relevancy 44.72%

I opened the router and followed the instructions for set up. Once plugges in , it popped up as an option in my network however when I went to set it up and start to use it , there was a connection problem from the website. It suggested that I unplug and reset the router and so I did. Once i did that, the connection no longer appeared at all. I am now having trouble with the router connecting period. Please help , as I really need to be able to access wifi in my house

A:Connecting wifi router to Mac

whats the make and model of the router
How is it connected to the internet - do you have a separate modem or is this router also a combination modem/router
who is your ISP and did they supply the router

Do you only have a Mac available ?
any PCs or other devices ?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/connecting-wifi-router-to-mac.1158411/
Relevancy 44.72%

I had a Linksys WRT54G installed on my desktop & laptop using a wired connection.
I changed my connection from a wired to a wireless using the ATT 3G USB Mercury 885 adapter and now only use the laptop.

I uninstalled the Linksys router program and thought everything was removed but my WIFI connection still has this router listed in the network as being active. I have tried to remove this from the network connection and could not do it.

Any ideas on how to correct this would be appreciated.

Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wifi-removal-of-old-router.829831/
Relevancy 44.72%

My Netgear router always worked fine until i formatted my computer, after that it will still broadcast the wifi signal which i can search up and see, however nothing is able to connect to it, my psp, ps3, laptop, iphone, etc.

I reset my wifi many times and set it up all over again however nothing is able to connect to its signal wirelessley

can someone give me some tips for fixing this please.

Thank you,

-Leo

Relevancy 44.72%

HI! i'm just curious to know if there was a way of connecting my USB modem in such a way that i can use it to have wireless access in my house (more specific room).

Currently i have a Cisco Wireless-N Home ADSL2+ Modem Router. it has a DSL port and 4 ethernet ports. i can alreadly pick up the wi-fi signal when i just switch the router on but obviously theres no internet connection yet.

am i over complicating issues or is this not possible? please help urgently

A:Usb modem with wifi router possible?

If you are currently using DSL for your Internet connection, is there a problem with replacing the USB modem with the Cisco Modem router?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/usb-modem-with-wifi-router-possible.1102258/
Relevancy 44.72%

A friend purchased a new laptop and signed up for Clearwire broadband That is broadband broadcast from an antenna router wifi Waterproof and he is at the very edge of the transmit range Waterproof wifi router about miles from the antenna Waterproof wifi router They provide a modem indicating signal strength one to five bars The only place at his homesite to get over one strength bar is at the far end of his exterior deck There is a waterproof modem made to match the Clearwire broadcast and an electrical plug is available on the deck The problem is connecting that exterior modem to a computer located inside the house It seems there are three choices hardwire the modem with a long cord to the PC through a window hardwire the modem to a router inside the house with a long cord through a window hardwire the modem to an EXTERNAL ROUTER with a short cord no wiring into the house I searched Google for waterproof router with poor results-everything from bedpans to waterproof paints for router carved furnature HELP-can someone aim me toward a waterproof router or enclosure suitable to house an external router nbsp

A:Waterproof wifi router

Get a water proof electrical box and house it in there and mount an external antenna. Or run the cat 5 under the deck to the house. One run would not be that hard to pull and terminate.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/waterproof-wifi-router.636185/
Relevancy 44.72%

can malwares or viruses come from a wifi router in a public; a coffee shop, a public library, a restaurant, or school?

A:malwares from a wifi router?

In public wireless places, malware comes from the other computers that are on the network, not the router. Always make sure your firewall is set to public, so it will stealth its ports to all other computers on the public wifi network. That way, other computers will not be able to see your computer while connected to the network. Other than that, it is no different from being at home.........There is always a risk of a malware infection any time you are on the web. Always use antivirus software, keep it up to date and do periodic scans with Malwarebytes and HitMan Pro (both are free).

http://www.surfright.nl/en HitMan Pro
http://www.malwarebytes.org/ Malwarebytes

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/243446-malwares-wifi-router.html
Relevancy 44.72%

I was 2 = Repeater? WiFi Router X thinking about this the other night If it s dumb WiFi Router X 2 = Repeater? question I m sure that everyone will rush to helpfully point this out but can t you make a repeater out of two WiFi routers If a distant wireless Internet AP is out of range of part of your network and you can t move the access point can t you take a router located just within range configure it to client mode on the AP s channel say then run an ethernet cable from its output to the quot Internet in quot port or perhaps one of the switched ports I m not sure of a second router configured as an AP on a different channel say and then have that router be the Internet access point serving your more remote wireless computers Just asking here as a thought problem it s been nagging at me so badly I was preparing to go buy more routers simply to test it out but I thought I d save some money and ask here first Thanks for any clarification and help Fire away nbsp

Relevancy 44.72%

Hi evrybody! i am new here and my english is not very good, sorry)Please help me,- what to do? i got a new HP notebook, we instoled Windows 8.1, and at home i tryed to connect it to wifi. The problem is: only very close to the router- my new PC can see it, and when i go as far as let say 3-5 m- no wifi and even its dosnt see any network/ ( my DELL- old one- even can see others wifi from the street, and can be connected to my network evrewhere in my 3 levels  house/ its a big problem for me- i cant seet next to the router only to stay conected to wifi/My rouer is new also and good/ Smthg wrong with my new HP or it can be fixed somehow? thank u  for cleaf advise!!

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/pc-dosnt-see-wifi-far-from-router/td-p/5793535
Relevancy 44.72%

I m looking for unresponsive Router WiFi some advice from people WiFi Router unresponsive who know a bit about wireless router hardware I help run a small but busy pub in the highlands We have a standard TP-Link wifi router which we currently allow free access to for customers In the winter when the pub is quiet we have no problems with the router at all However when it gets very busy devices struggle to connect to the router I m uncertain as to whether the sheer volume of traffic is just slowing our internet connection down to a halt or if it s a matter that the router just wasn t built to deal with the kind of volume that it s getting My instincts tell me that it s probably the latter since it s the router that devices are having trouble connecting to Would you concur with that assessment If so are there higher capacity routers that might do the job better Or would we be better moving towards a pay-per-use model to slow down use of the router Thanks a lot nbsp

Relevancy 43.86%

I m a bit of a rookie when it comes to Networking but here goes I ve got a D-Link WiFi a Router DSL Modem Using D-Link as a DSL- Mbps Wireless router with built-in ADSL modem and a D-Link DI- Mbps Wireless Broadband router Obviously the DI- that I recently purchased doesn t feature an in-built modem so instead of blowing on a D-Link ADSL modem with Ethernet connectivity I was hoping to use the ADSL modem feature in my old Wireless router as my modem for the DI- I called D-Link support but unfortunately after an hour of following live instructions from their support staff I ended up Using a D-Link DSL WiFi Router as a Modem nowhere They instructed me to disable DHCP and Using a D-Link DSL WiFi Router as a Modem NAT features Using a D-Link DSL WiFi Router as a Modem on the and plug an ethernet cable into it s LAN PORT and plug the other end into the WAN PORT on the I plugged an ethernet cable into the DI- LAN PORT and into my computer s Ethernet port in order to configure the DI- After configuring the DI- via its web configuration web page I could get the Mbps network up and running but without the access to DSL If anyone any of the above mentioned products and can provide a tip or a link to a guide or something that would be great Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 43.86%

I try to connect my lumia 535 to my router but whenever I try, the router disconnects all devices for about 3 seconds and the phone indicates "The wifi network didn't respond. Try again later."

A:Why cant my Lumia 535 connect to wifi router?

Try resetting the router. Try forgetting the router on your phone and trying to reconnect also you devices are ALL trying to connect at the same time so its basically breaking your router. Try connecting 1 device at a time and working your way up.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/346007-why-cant-my-lumia-535-connect-wifi-router.html
Relevancy 43.86%

hello a access wifi Limited from router everybody I had windows installed laptop after connecting to the wireless router it is showing LIMITED I am able to access internet But I am not able to access stores and others given Limited access from a wifi router by windows It is because of Limited access So please help me out in solving this After running cmd k ipconfig all I am getting the following results Windows IP Configuration Host Name SRINATH Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List iith ac in Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter Physical Address - C- F- -D -CF DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi Connection-specific DNS Suffix iith ac in Description Qualcomm Atheros AR Wireless Network Adapter Physical Address - C- F- -D -CF DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe bf eed c e d f Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Monday February PM Lease Expires Tuesday February PM Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - - E-B - C- - C- F- -D -CF DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Bluetooth Device Personal Area Network Physical Address - - -FF-A - D DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Ethernet adapter Ethernet Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Physical Address B -AC- F- -C -DF DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap iith ac in Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix iith ac in Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes nbsp

Relevancy 43.86%

Internet works through ethernet but not through wireless I can connect to router wirelessly but no internet connection Here is my info when connected to ethernet Microsoft Windows Version Copyright c Microsoft Corporation All rights reserved C Users Home gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name Home-PC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Mixed IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List westell com Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter Physical Address - - C- E- - C DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Wireless know with its router help need my but been answered, I wifi connection LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix westell com Description Atheros AR b g WiFi Adapter Physical Address - - C- E- - C DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe b e df e f Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Wednesday January PM Lease Expires Thursday January PM Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - - C-F - - - - C- E- I know its been answered, but need help with my wifi router connection - C DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix westell com Description NVIDIA nForce Mbps Ethernet Physical Address - F- -D -F - DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe e d Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Wednesday January PM Lease I know its been answered, but need help with my wifi router connection Expires Thursday January PM Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - - C-F - - - - C- E- - C DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Tunnel adapter I know its been answered, but need help with my wifi router connection TO Adapter Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft to Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Reusable ISATAP Interface -F - - D - A DDD Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix westell com Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap F EA -E B- DB-AA -EDFE B F F Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IPv Address e dd f fef Prefe rred Link-local IPv Address fe dd f fef Preferred Default Gateway NetBIOS over Tcpip Disabled Tunnel adapter isatap westell com Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes This is when connected via ethernet directly to router Microsoft Windows Version Copyright c Microsoft Corporation All rights reserved C Users Home gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name Home-PC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Mixed IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List westell com Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter Physical Address - - C- E- - C DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix westell com Description Atheros AR b g WiFi Adapter Physical Address - - C- E- - C DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe b e df e f Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Wednesday January P... Read more

A:I know its been answered, but need help with my wifi router connection

What firewall / security suite or anti-virus do you currently have on the PC - or you have ever had on the PC in the past - any trial ware - like Norton, Mcafee , AVG , Webroot etc

the ar5007 adapter has had issues with vista - but it maybe worth checking for a new driver anyway

1st try the PC manufacturers website then we can use atheros website

whats the make and exact model of the PC

ick on the blue tick mark in the column under your windows version.
This will open another page for that particular adapter and that windows version.

Now click on the download button labelled " Click to Download " and wait, the file will download - you do not need to click on any other buttons to get the download started

Assuming that after all the above the wireless still does not connect to the internet, all I can suggest is to use wireless security of WEP or to get an external USB wireless card.

Please post a reply here , and keep us informed of the situation and how you finally resolved the issue.

To install the driver you will need to do the following

Extract the downloaded zip file into a folder on the PC
then

> Start Globe
> Control Panel
> System and maintenance
> Scroll down to Device manager
> network adaptors, click on the + >
> Right click on the AR5007(EG) Adapter
> click on Update Driver Software...
> click on Browse my computer for driver software
> click on the Button Browse...
> Locate the folder you extracted the downloaded zip file to
> Next
Click OK and Windows will install the driver for you.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-know-its-been-answered-but-need-help-with-my-wifi-router-connection.1083425/
Relevancy 43.86%

Hi!

I have ADSL WiFi router, i need to know can i share my PC files to my mobile phone using this ADSL router? If i can how do i do it?
Note:- I connected my router to the PC using a cable.

thanks!

A:Can i share files using WiFi router?

Have a look here: Share Files Wirelessly Between Android and Any Computer | PCWorld Business Center

And here: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/41583...ne-wirelessly/

Basically, you're using a third-party file explorer that sets up a mini-server on your Android phone, which in turn hooks you up to your wireless network.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/228980-can-i-share-files-using-wifi-router.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Dear All,

My ISP is blocking use of wifi router at my flat. They provided me static(private class A) ip address, gateway and two dns servers. When i configured my router, i can see that it can connect to internet and update the router date & time to current, but i cannot browse or download from my laptops or desktops. Although i can ping several websites. But that's it. They(ISP) said that use of wifi router is not allowed at their network. Pls help.

Regards
Siam

Relevancy 43.86%

At the moment the Wireless Router is located in my bedroom which is meters from the living room where the phone line is I basically have one phone line extension from the telephone line to my bedroom where I ve plugged in the ADSL filter The modem part plugs WiFi Extender or to N Upgrade Router? into the actual WiFi Extender or Upgrade to N Router? router and the telephone line is then extended back to the living room with a second extension cable As you can imagine this leaves a lot of wires around as the cables are really long It s hard to move furniture around etc and quite frankly just doesn t look nice What I d like to do is have a WiFi dongle for my PC and move the router to the living room Now the problem is that my phone gets a WiFi Extender or Upgrade to N Router? very weak WiFi signal once you go m so I imagine if I moved the router to there then I would barely get a signal in my bedroom I have two options to solve this Use a WiFi extender in between my room and the router and then a dongle for my computer or Upgrade my current G router to an N router Problem is I m not too sure the signal will reach my room There s a meter range from the living room to my bedroom btw Here s my choice for an N router Belkin N Wireless Modem Router F D N wireless USB Adapter Mpbs F D B DUK http www ebay co uk itm Wireless ebac or Wireless N Modem Router Mbps -Port Belkin Surf N F D http www ebay co uk itm Wireless dcceb c amp the extender will be this http www ebay co uk itm Mbps- abce fa So which should I do Extender or a new router I ve heard that extenders are really bad as the signal quality is cut and also it always drop connections etc is this true Also would an upgrade from a G to an N router increase my coverage Would it actually make a difference The way I see it is that even though my phone is quite old Galaxy S there s no reason for it not to be able to get a good signal from a router just meters away My other phone also loses signal greatly when it gets to these distances My laptop on the other hand gets a good signal Btw my current router is a Gigaset SE G router I got it with my broadband package about - years ago Thanks in advance nbsp

A:WiFi Extender or Upgrade to N Router?

12 meters is well within the range of 802.11g. 802.11n has much greater range but that may not help you if your problem is poor or loose antennas on the adapters or obstructions in the path from router to adapter.

The best solution is to place the modem (or modem/router combo) where the phone line will be the shortest and best. Then run ethernet cable(s) to your computer or to where a router or wireless access point will give you good Wi-Fi service. If you can't run the cable through walls, along duct work, to the attic or basement, maybe you can run it along where ceiling meets wall.

A Repeater (or Range Extender) will slow the network, but may otherwise work very well. Or not. Can't predict.

Homeplugs (ethernet over the electrical system) is another solution that works great--better than Wi-Fi--for some people and not at all for others. Depends on the quality of the electrical system and is also difficult to predict. If you try this method buy returnable equipment.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wifi-extender-or-upgrade-to-n-router.1082968/
Relevancy 43.86%

We cant connect to WIFI / Internet anymore since our new router was put in. The tech warned us this might happen with our laptop, and it did. First it was working fine, now it will not connect anymore. the only way we can connect is through hardwired (Ethernet cord) We cannot connect wireless anymore. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

windows 8 64 bit
X200M Asus
mick

Relevancy 43.86%

Hi,

I know this is a known problem that many have had. I have tried to find solutions through other posts ive read online but I can still not resolve this issue.

I can connect to the internet via the WLAN cable and it works fine. However, I would prefer to have freedom and use WIFI instead. But I can only connect locally. I know a bit about trying to fix it but I am no computer wizz kid so any help would be greatly appreciated.

The strange thing is I can connect to new networks sometimes ok on WIFI but others I get this problem I have mentioned.

The network I am tryng to connect to is one at home which is new.

Cheers

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/299936-wifi-router-only-connected-locally.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Hello,Im having a problem related my PC's Wifi connection. Im having this problem from last 1 month.Before a month connection problem was not there.  WiFi available option shows only when my PC is placed beside to the router. If the PC is far from router wifi gets disconnected.Not even any WiFi available in that area. This is not router or network providers error(as My phone gets connected to Wifi though it is very far from the router within it's range).Installed network driver is Ralink RT3290 802.11bgn Wi-Fi Adapter.Please help me. 

A:PC WiFi gts connect only when it is nearer to router.

Hi @Hegde_Prahlad,Welcome to the HP Support Forums! It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. I understand you are having an issue with the WiFi connection. I will be glad to help you. The following pages are helpful when troubleshooting wireless connectivity issues.Troubleshooting wireless network and Internet (Windows 10)Also, you can look at the power management for your wireless adapter:Disable the Power Off option for the adapter:1. Open Device Manager. (Win Key+R > type devmgmt.msc > OK)2. Expand the Network adapters.3. Right click on the Ethernet/Wireless Adapter and click Properties.4. Click the Power Management tab.5. Remove the check mark beside Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.6. Click OK.7. Test.Forget a Network (Windows 10)Forget Wireless Network Profiles in Windows 10Reset the TCP/IP settings on your PC:1. Go to your start screen/menu and type CMD.2. Right click on the command prompt icon and chose Run as administrator.3. In the window that opens type "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt" without quotes, and press enter.4. Restart your PC and test.It may also help to reset the winsock catalogue:1. Go to your start screen/menu and type CMD.2. Right click on the command prompt icon and chose Run as administrator.3. In the window that opens type "netsh winsock reset" without quotes, and press enter.4. Restart your PC and test.Reinstall the network adapter drivers:1. Download the drivers from here but do not run them yet.2. Go to your start screen/menu and type Device Manager.3. Expand Network adapters.4. Right click on the wireless adapter and choose Uninstall.5. Run the downloaded drivers from step 1.6. Restart your PC and test.Test an Ethernet connection:Self explanatory. Test if the issue persists on a wired connection to rule out the wireless adapter hardware so troubleshooting can be directed towards the right areas.Test another connection:Many people rule out their home network as an issue if another device is working on the same network. Networking is not that simple. Each device interacts differently with your router or modem and it is impossible to rule out settings in that device until the notebook has been tested on another network. Please keep me informed of how things went. If you require further assistance, let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help you.Please let me know if this resolves the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution".To simply say thanks, click the Thumbs up below! Thanks.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/PC-WiFi-gts-connect-only-when-it-is-nearer-to-router/td-p/5543073
Relevancy 43.86%

where i live TP Link wifi router cost US $15 and Linksys wifi router cost rs US $40

obviously i want to go with TP Link router but i want to know which router offers more quality

ie long range and better bandwidth

i have 2 laptops (xp and win 7), one ipod touch and one andriod tablet all of them using Wifi internet

my old linksys router which is 4 years old has stopped working

A:TP Link or Linksys wifi router

That TP Link has almost 800 reviews on Amazon and it's almost all four star reviews. The cost of consumer wireless devises has become very affordable. I use those little $5 USB wifi dongles on my Raspberry Pi's and they work great. The box I'm on now has a low cost NetGear USB dongle and the speed and reliability is great. I'd buy it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/297760-tp-link-linksys-wifi-router.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Hi everybody. I've been having some trouble with my ATT router. I've had it for months and there have never been any issues until now. It does not seem that it is broadcasting WiFi like usual. It will not show up on the WiFi network list on both my iPod and my laptop. I've tried resetting the router (by unplugging it and plugging it back in). Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks a ton!

Relevancy 43.86%

If you haven't changed the default password on your home router, do so now.

That's what researchers at Symantec Corp. and Indiana University are saying,
after publishing the results of tests that show how attackers could take over
your home router using malicious JavaScript code.

see the whole article here

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/are-you-still-using-the-default-wifi-router-password.70150/
Relevancy 43.86%

Ive been having trouble with this ever since i bought my new Windows XP HP computer. I had it before with my old computer without ever having a problem. But as soon as i bought my new cpu, 3 or so hours in, it disconnects by itself. All i have to do is disconnect it and connect it again from the back of the router for 1 second, and it works again.
What do you think is the problem? Do u think its a software issue because it just started happening when i got my new PC. Any help? ANy Help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Relevancy 43.86%

Basically, what's happened is that after transferring my old PC's data onto my new one, and putting that one in place of my old one, therefore hooking up my modem to it, my wireless devices have been having trouble connecting to the router. Everything's hooked up fine, and it was working perfectly before, but now my devices such as my laptop and Droid Pro can SEE the router (As in connect to it and say that they are getting excellent signal strength), but when I try to open my browser, it asks as if I'm not connected to anything at all. The PC that's wired to the modem through the router works fine, however.

Relevancy 43.86%

does PC connect a wifi router faster when a proxy server is configured?

A:a proxy server and a wifi router?

No.

I'm not playing grammar Nazi - I'm just filling in some words so that I can convey back to you the way that I understood your query:
does [a] PC connect [to] a wifi router faster when a proxy server is configured?

Since W7 can act like a wireless access point as part of Internet Connection Sharing - I wondered if that was what you were asking about. Thus my need to clarify that my answer is "No" if you are talking about a computer connecting to a Wireless Access Point (which might also be a router).

The "connection process" takes place before an IP address has been assigned to (or is in use by) the computer making the connection. Proxy servers depend on IP based traffic... so, the "connection process" has already taken place before a proxy server comes into play.

Caveat: I could be wrong. It has been more than a decade since I studied this kind of stuff :-)

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/243450-proxy-server-wifi-router.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Ok,
I'm looking to share/prioritize my bandwidth through a wifi router
(Netgear WGR614 v6).
My problem is that the direct connected machine is having a great deal of 'Lag' while online gaming and the wifi connected machine is taking all/most of the bandwidth while using p2p applications.

I have been onto Netgear and found that my Router does not have settings that solves this problem.

So I would greatly appreciate if you computer wizards could give me a helping hand.

Please take this seriously.

THanx
Lostprophet

A:Bandwidth Prioritizing with Wifi Router

Get a router that has bandwidth management?

Virtually all p2p applications have settings to limit the bandwidth and the number of connections.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bandwidth-prioritizing-with-wifi-router.65581/
Relevancy 43.86%

smy wifi is not connected with any router if i used it nearly 5 meter away from router.....i checked it by 5 to 10 diffrent routers.....

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/my-wifi-is-not-connecting-with-any-router-if-i-used-5-meter/td-p/5768120
Relevancy 43.86%

Hi all,
I want to set up a small web server that would run on my home computer.. he's connected to internet through wifi Canyon wirelles router, and the wifi is by cable connected to huawei adsl modem.. I allready have set on adsl dmz rule for wifi router, and on router I have opened up both port forwarding and virtual server to my pc to port where is web server.. but when I try to connect to it on predefined port as MY.dyndns.orgort, or directly on iport, page is unavailable, but if I just connect to MY.dyndns.org, adsl config page appears..
so, my question is, How to set up routers to get it through to my pc?..

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/adsl-wifi-router-and-web-server-how-to.852358/
Relevancy 43.86%

Hello, so I recently got my internet back..with a new router..i use a net gear wifi extender because where I have my PlayStation set up, it has poor reception..it's worked before, but since I got this new router I can't connect my extender to my ps4..the router and the wifi extender work perfectly fine.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/router-wifi-extender-and-playstation-4.1157873/
Relevancy 43.86%

Is My WIFI Router free and safe?My friend tell me I can switch my laptop into hotspot with My WIFI Router software,but I'm wondering is it safe and would it charge extra?

A:Is My WIFI Router free and safe?

I'm assuming this is the software you're asking about.

My first question would be why do you want to do this?

The only time I would want something like this would be in a hotel that charges for Internet access by device.

I don't have an opinion on this software

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/527873/is-my-wifi-router-free-and-safe/
Relevancy 43.86%

I have somthing to ask about the ADSL modem and wifi router I am using Windows Xp I have ADSL modem TP LINK TD with port LAN and USB on the modem has blinking lights USB LAN ADSL Internet and Power I router's Problem wifi with gateway use USB port for my laptop so that lights were turned on except the LAN s I also have a wifi router TENDA w r which is connect to the modem Problem with wifi router's gateway by LAN port Problem with wifi router's gateway when it s connected the LAN s light in the moden will turn on That s what it usually works But now when I connect the router to the moden the LAN s ligh on the modem just flashing then turn off right away it works fine on different machine I don t know why I think it s software problem What do you guy s think about that About the gateway the modem has gateway the router has gateway too At first when I connect the router I can only access to the router s gateway when I disconnect the router I m back to the moden s router how to fix that I want to sefl control which gateway I can connect And now I just can t connect to any of the gateway the router s gateway since the LAN s light on the moden not turned on I think that s where it begins But the modem s gateway I can connect to the internet as usually but I can t access to the modem s gateway whenever I type quot quot modem s default gateway a window appears Authentication Required then I fill the username and password with the right infomation then click ok but it still appears after and after and after that when I click cancel then browser says quot Protected Object quot and I can t connect to modem s gateway nbsp

A:Problem with wifi router's gateway

Can anyone help me, please ?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problem-with-wifi-routers-gateway.1058736/
Relevancy 43.86%

So im deployment and we have hardwire internet in my room wanting to use all other devices eg iphone and what not i bought a router to plug the with router working Wifi not TP-LINK hardwire in to and run the wifi off the router for all devices its made by Wifi not working with TP-LINK router TP-LINK the model is TL-WR N it worked great for a while but then kept giving me DNS server is not responding but i could plug the hard cable in my computer and the internet would work fine so i reset the router and set it all up again like before Now i cant get it to run wifi off it anymore it recognizes and connect through wifi but no internet and its telling me i need to plud the hardwire in to my internet but my computer is recognizing it and saying i have internet access but no internet i mean its not even thinking if there is internet i have re-set up the router twice and still same thing im lost on what to do i run a lot things off my iphone and with no wifi i cant keep in contact with people let alone my wife through certain apps to text or things any help would be very grateful thanks nbsp

A:Wifi not working with TP-LINK router

For a computer running Windows please show the following for a connection to the ethernet jack in your room and for a connection to the router ...

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wifi-not-working-with-tp-link-router.1061860/