Windows Support Forum

Desktop replacement: dual or quad core?

Q: Desktop replacement: dual or quad core?

I am planning to buy a new laptop this weekend and I want a desktop replacement - just tired of small screens and low performance and unfortunately I simply do not have a desk to put a high-end desktop If I was to buy a desktop it would certainly be equipped with a Core i - GHz processor While I cannot replicate such power in a notebook I am trapped in a dilemma of choosing between four cores or a high clock speed In a desktop it seems to me that such dilemma does not exist since the processors can use more power and have higher clock speeds it would be worth more to have a GHz or a GHz four-core than a GHz or a GHz dual-core But in laptops it s a completely different story The contenders are basically the Core i - m and the Core i - QM or the i - QM and the runner-up is the Core i - QM and i - QM if it is really worth it I have done extensive research on the Internet The sources are not many but it led to to some conclusions The Core i - QM GHz has cores and threads but a low clock speed GHz that can be increased up to GHz with all cores operating It can go as high as GHz with only two cores The Core i - M on the other hand has a clock speed of GHz which can be increased up to GHz with Turbo Boost using all cores Theoretically the i - QM would be a superior processor Intel has put a higher number to identify it instead of duh Four cores operating at GHz equals to GHz in the case of i - QM while two cores operating at GHz equals to only GHz in the case of M with Turbo Boost the i - QM would sum it up quad core? Desktop replacement: dual or to GHz and the i - M to GHz - still a big gap in performance In addition the i - Desktop replacement: dual or quad core? QM has MB L cache while the i - M has MB But that s just theory In real life things are a little bit different I do have a Core Duo right now and I see Windows making Desktop replacement: dual or quad core? extensive use of the two cores However I suspect that even the most advanced software are not optimized for multi-core and multi-threading processing A clock speed of GHz could be a disadvantage in this scenario especially comparing to the much higher clock speed of the i - M The i - M has a clock speed which may be GHz higher than Desktop replacement: dual or quad core? the Core i - QM and that seems to me a big difference I ve read that the i - M would be better for single-threaded or lightly multi-threaded applications due to its higher clock speed Some sources say that the i - QM would be the better choice for heavily multi-threaded apps while others say that due to the huge difference in clock speed the i - M would be the winner even in those cases There are other factors which must be taken into consideration of course The i - QM has MB of L cache while the i - M has only MB and that makes a difference - however I do not know whether this additional MB make it up for the huge gap in clock speed The i - QM also supports MHz memory while the i - M supports only MHz memory and I do not know how this will affect the performance - some sources even say this is irrelevant The i - M is a nm W processor and consumes less power than the nm W i - QM It means less heat and more battery life of course But in terms of performance less heat and less power consumption could mean that the i - M could achieve its top Turbo Boost performance more easily than the i - QM As a result it would be more likely for the less-power hungry i - M to achieve the GHz Turbo Boost performance than the i - QM to achieve the GHz I ve seem some benchmarks on the Internet In Passmark Software s website the Core i - QM scores higher than the i - M but I am afraid these numbers reflect a theoretical performance that nobody will ever get to achieve in day-to-day situations Notebookcheck has done some comparison too and it ranks the i - M in a higher position than the i - QM The i - QM scored higher than the i - M in most tests but Notebookcheck thought the i - M would be a superior processor - perhaps it thought the i - M would be faster in real-life situations I have not yet come to a conclusion I am leaning towards the i - M as it would be a faster processor than the i - QM in most situations I suspect I do not use very multi-threaded applications however I do extensive use of multi-tasking It is very often to me to keep Microsoft Office applications a web browser a multimedia player Adobe Reader and other applications opened simultaneosly And I like them all to run very fast all the time Now that I have done this research and that I still can t reach a conclusion I would like some help Are the conclusions I came up with above correct Which of these processors would be faster and which one would be the better choice And how these processors would compare to mine a Core Duo T GHz Thank you for the help nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/desktop-replacement-dual-or-quad-core.149725/
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Desktop replacement: dual or quad core?

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 93.31%

Hi,

I'm buying a new computer with Vista home premium (32 bit), and I can't decide whether I should get a 2.4 quad core or a faster dual core (since it's cheaper).

I've searched about this but all the results I've got were from 2007, so I'm not sure if things changed much now.

So what do you think? will I benefit from the additional cores? or shall I go with faster dual cores?
appreciate your help

Relevancy 93.31%

Hi, Currently I'm using a dual core 6850 and I'm thinking about buying a quad core. I have a PSU of 500 W as spare.

Can i replace the CPU to a Quad Core without changing the cooling system?

A:replace dual core CPU by quad core what about heatsink? in Mini Tower 755 Optiplex

heinflhs
These are the specs of the spare PSU. Aren't they better than the original Dell PSU?
That power supply is ATX and not EPS12V
Better is not the issue.  Dell power supplys are 80 percent efficient not 70 percent ATX.  The -5v rail is an issue as well as this may cause a motherboard fire or damage your system.  Its a dead giveaway that this is a power supply from 1990 to 2000.
What current is on which rails is not trivial. There is a single 12V RAIL on that unit and its max is 17A
EPS 12V units have multiple rails of 12V @ 18 amps each.  MAX Power on the 12V rails is 264w not 204w
That unit has a lot more on the 5V and 3.3V rails at the expense of the 12V rails and CPU 4 pin connector. So no that spare unit is not likely to work well if at all.

Recommended update or replacement is EVGA 750B1

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19996406
Relevancy 93.31%

Already saw differents answer but never by the one guy that say.. "Yes, i already upgrade my dual core cpu to quad core in my elitebook 8470p"I saw documents with info from hp with "3610qm 3630qm 3720qm and 3740qm" support for 8470p and 8570p models in this forum.There in JUNE 2012, The product overview:http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c03373336Said only 3610qm and 3720qm are compatible with the 8470p.But recently document i saw from hp (and i think is the reference guide more actual, january 2013 ) to 8470p and 8470w models like this:http://h20628.www2.hp.com/km-ext/kmcsdirect/emr_na-c03659338-3.pdfthere is not clear, even this document show that only 8470w support quadcore and for 8470p show only dual core models..so i need confirmation before buy quad core model, anybody can confirm if its possible??Thanks a lot

A:HP Elitebook 8470P Dual Core to Quad Core upgrade, it suppor...

Hi, HP Elitebook 8470P is a series of many models/products of laptops and can spread over few years. Very hard to answer because we don't know which year is for your machine. Lately HP gives G1, G2, G3 ..... for some series that give us more information. The document in front of me now dated June 2013 gives another side of the picture PROCESSOR3rd Generation Intel® Core? i7-3740QM (2.70 GHz, 6 MB L3 cache, 45W, 4 cores)*Up to 3.70 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology3rd Generation Intel® Core? i7-3720QM (2.60 GHz, 6 MB L3 cache, 45W, 4 cores)*Up to 3.60 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology3rd Generation Intel® Core? i7-3630QM (2.40 GHz, 6 MB L3 cache, 45W, 4 cores)*?Up to 3.40 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology3rd Generation Intel® Core? i7-3610QM (2.30 GHz, 6 MB L3 cache, 45W, 4 cores)*?Up to 3.30 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology3rd Generation Intel® Core? i7-3540M (3.0 GHz, 4 MB L3 cache, 35W, 2 cores)*Up to 3.70 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology3rd Generation Intel® Core? i7-3520M (2.90 GHz, 4 MB L3 cache, 35W, 2 cores)*Up to 3.60 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology3rd Generation Intel® Core? i5-3380M (2.90 GHz, 3 MB L3 cache, 35W, 2 cores)*Up to 3.60 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology3rd Generation Intel® Core? i5-3360M (2.80 GHz, 3 MB L3 cache, 35W, 2 cores)*Up to 3.50 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology3rd Generation Intel® Core? i5-3340M (2.70 GHz, 3 MB L3 cache, 35W, 2 cores)*Up to 3.40 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology3rd Generation Intel® Core? i5-3320M (2.60 GHz, 3 MB L3 cache, 35W, 2 cores)*Up to 3.30 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology3rd Generation Intel® Core? i5-3230M (2.60 GHz, 3 MB L3 cache, 35W, 2 cores)*?Up to 3.20 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology3rd Generation Intel® Core? i5-3210M (2.50 GHz, 3 MB L3 cache, 35W, 2 cores)*?Up to 3.10 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology3rd Generation Intel® Core? i3-3130M (2.60 GHz, 3 MB L3 cache, 35W, 2 cores)*?3rd Generation Intel® Core? i3-3120M (2.50 GHz, 3 MB L3 cache, 35W, 2 cores)*?3rd Generation Intel® Core? i3-3110M (2.40 GHz, 3 MB L3 cache, 35W, 2 cores)*? For  HP EliteBook 8470p Notebook PC (14")         HP EliteBook 8570p Notebook PC (15"). Regards.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/HP-Elitebook-8470P-Dual-Core-to-Quad-Core-upgrade-it-support/td-p/5791049
Relevancy 92.88%

Simply put- RED Blue Screens. I don't know what I need to call them. THEY ARE RED! And they just reference "An error reading the instruction set" There is no STOP Error. I upgraded the Processor from AMD Athlon x2 5000+ to an AMD Phenom x4 9650. I have not overclocked it. In fact, first thing I did after installing it was reset CMOS.

I've checked for minidumps relating to this issue but there are none. I am running Windows 7 x64 Home Premium.

I've tried doing research but my results are non-conclusive.

A:Strange Behaviour after Upgrading to AMD Quad-Core from Dual-Core

Hello Timmah,
Everything is running OK, you drop in the new CPU, then you start getting problems.
Have you double checked all the connections and power leads, plus all the data cables ?.
Is there a Bios update that will address the issue ?, it may be worth checking the MB manufacturers site.
Hope this helps, good luck and post your results.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/267097-strange-behaviour-after-upgrading-amd-quad-core-dual-core.html
Relevancy 92.88%

Hi,
I have two laptops made by the same manufacturer and same year, but one is a dual core laptop with an SSD harddrive and the other is a quad core laptop with a regular hard drive. Both laptops run Windows 8.

I would like to transfer my programs and files from the dual core to the quad core. However, obviously the quad core has different hardware.

I am wondering if I simply remove the SSD from the dual core and put it into the quad core (replacing the quad's primary hard drive with the SSD) and simply boot up the quad core, would that be sufficient? Will the quad core recognize the hardware mismatch and automatically correct the drivers, while keeping my programs and files?

Or is there some other, efficient way to make the transfer? I really want to avoid having to reinstall all my programs.

Thank you

A:Transfer programs and files from Dual Core to Quad Core

There are a lot of third party tools designed to move a Windows installation to new hardware. I prefer using native Windows tool Sysprep for this, mainly because the method is the one and only Microsoft supports and recommends but also because it has never failed me.

The method is described in this tutorial on our sister site the Seven Forums and works also with Windows 8: Windows 7 Installation - Transfer to a New Computer - Windows 7 Help Forums. Method One in tutorial would be ideal for you for moving the SSD to new computer.

Read the information and warnings in the beginning of the tutorial carefully, especially the warning about Windows needing to be reactivated is important. Come back if you have any questions.

Kari

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/53640-transfer-programs-files-dual-core-quad-core.html
Relevancy 92.02%

I am just wondering about the CPU I just ordered from E-Bay new and how it will perform with Windows 7 64 Bit compaired to the one I have now this is the one I ordered:
AMD Phenom X4 Quad CPU 9500 AM2+ 2.2 GHz 3600MHz 4MB
This is the one I have now:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual core 3800+ 2GHz
I just want to know is there going to be any faster gain with the newer quad core over the dual core thanks for any help you can give me.

A:Wondering about upgrading from dual core to quad core CPU with Win 7

Yes, the machine will be faster all around and you will notice the speed difference.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/153833-wondering-about-upgrading-dual-core-quad-core-cpu-win-7-a.html
Relevancy 92.02%

Hi,

about 2 years ago I have upgraded my computer with a new motherboard, rams and a processor and since we moved in between I cannot find the boxes or bills from that time.

The problem:
I am 90 percent sure, that at the time I wanted a quad core processor and my computer properties say that I have Intel Core i5-3450.
I googled around and all retailers as well as Intel list this processor as quad, but I whenever I use aplications where cores are displayed (i.e. playclaw or some kind of benchmarking), it only ever shows core 0 and core 1.
When I go to task manager > processes > and go to select affinity on a random process, once again only 2 cores are aviable to choose from.

Any ideas what might be causing this? Because if I am not mistaken I have had my computer on a leash for 2 years...

A:Quad core processor acting as dual-core?

in windows 7 press the start key > type msconfig > click the boot tab > advanced options
in the top left there is a box that says number of processors. if it is checked you can uncheck it, or change the drop down box below it to 4.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/quad-core-processor-acting-as-dual-core.1133436/
Relevancy 92.02%

Is it possible to change the dual core processor I have for an i5 processor, is this type of motherboard capable of taking it? I have some screen captures from CPUID of my system specs, hopefully that will be enough info. If it can't take the i5 could it take any other quad-core processor?

I have a Compaq Pressario desktop PC, Windows 7 64 bit, 4GB DDR3 RAM.

Thanks

Thanks.

A:Is it possible to upgrade my dual-core to i5, or other quad-core processors?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/is-it-possible-to-upgrade-my-dual-core-to-i5-or-other-quad-core-processors.1004497/
Relevancy 90.73%

16th May 2016.Dear Dell Forum Members & Support,We have an existing and very reliable Dell Precision 490 with a Single Intel Xeon 5060 (Dual Core, 3.2GHz,1066MHz) system.The system is currently running Bios Version A08 (04/25/08)

Can it be upgraded to Two (2) Intel Xeon Quad Core Processors, and if so, can a list of the compatiable processors be supplied ?

e.g. Xeon X5460 (Quad-Core, 3.16 GHz, 1333MHz) etc.

Thank you for your time & patience.With kindest regards.GEM CNC Systems.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19974583
Relevancy 90.3%

Hi Dual i3-4005U A4-5000 AMD Core" Core "Quad Intel vs Core guys I've been looking at laptops they are basically identical but one has an Intel Core i - U mobile processor and GB of RAM and the other one has an AMD A - mobile processor and GB RAM The guy at the store and a couple other people I know told me that the Core i is better than the A as the AMD quot Quad Core quot processors aren't very good AMD A4-5000 "Quad Core" vs Intel Core i3-4005U Dual Core so even though the Intel i is only dual core it will be better than the quad core AMD The other question is the RAM Is GB that much better than GB or will GB be fine for basic use That's all this laptop is for Basic use and touch apps since it will be touchscreen The AMD laptop is this one Buy the HP Pavilion Notebook - AMD A GB at TigerDirect ca And the Intel here Buy the HP TouchSmart Notebook PC - F W UA ABL at TigerDirect ca Last question what the hell is DDR L All the new laptops have it nowadays Is it backward compatible with normal DDR laptop RAM Meaning can I take a normal laptop DDR GB stick out of my dads laptop and put it into the GB i laptop if thats the one i'm gonna get Or does the DDR quot L quot part cause issues Thanks Edit Sorry i'm not sure if this is the right place for this thread If it isn't mods could you please move it Thanks

A:AMD A4-5000 "Quad Core" vs Intel Core i3-4005U Dual Core

Hmm, I guess you should read some reviews. But just from the specs the AMD has 6 GB ram instead of 4. Has a DVD burner where the Intel shows no optical drive. It only has W8 8.0 where the Intel has 8.1. But some people may prefer 8.0.

Read reviews. See how each performs. If you don't wish to use it to burn DVD then the optical drive, or lack thereof may not matter to you.

Edit: Oh, and the AMD is about $80 cheaper.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/43107-amd-a4-5000-quad-core-vs-intel-core-i3-4005u-dual-core.html
Relevancy 90.3%

First some keywords to help searchers core dual from core Upgrade to quad QX quad core task manager cpu-z cpu-id shows showing only two cores I recently upgraded an Intel E to a QX and had the problem of Windows only showing of the cores It took a few frustrating hours to find the solution but I got there in the end without the need for a Windows re-install I hope that this little post may help others to resolve the problem quicker than I st You must have Windows Professional Home Premium does not support more than cores Upgrade to Pro nd If Task manager and Upgrade from dual core to quad core CPU-Z are only showing cores you'll be feeling pretty confused right Go to Start-- gt Run type MSCONFIG Under the BOOT tab click 'Advanced Options' In the top left corner it says quot Number of Processors quot you'll have been here already and it says ' ' Uncheck this and do a reboot This solved my hours of confusion Now I have cores in Task Manager CPU-Z and all is well If all this fails then get yourself set up for an OS reinstall that should get you where you want to be I hope this helps folks a little as I had a hard time resolving this quickly I'm no expert but my sketchy understanding is that if you tell Windows you have no processors it re-evaluates this at boot and discovers that you've changed from a core to a core Well it worked for me and I hope it helps others out there Jove

A:Upgrade from dual core to quad core

Any Ver of windows 7 will run any Quad core CPU .

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/123735-upgrade-dual-core-quad-core.html
Relevancy 90.3%

Hi all! I am not computer illiterate. I have a question for you. I am switcing from an AMD dual core 2.4GHz to a Phenom 9750 Quad core. Changing out the heatsink and fan also. Can I just swap out the CPU's and restart Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. Or do I have to do a complete reinstall of the same OS? I know that I changed MOBO's or something like that, I would have to reinstall. But I'm not sure about the processors. Any answers would be appreciated. Thanks a bunch in advance!

A:Upgrading from a dual core to a quad core!

I swapped out my friends Intel E6400 Conroe for a Q9550 last week and everything was fine and runs great.
I don't see why AMD wouldn't be the same.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/63271-upgrading-dual-core-quad-core.html
Relevancy 90.3%

i have a Intel E5400 Overclocked to 3.23GHz and was going to upgrade to a Q9400 quad and was wondering as i mainly use my PC for high end gaming is quad core as important as it is used more for multitasking and i was told dual would be better for gaming is this true?

A:What is better for PC gaming Dual Core or Quad Core?

It's a little confusing. I'd say in general, quad-core processors are more powerful than dual core; however, that doesn't necessarily mean faster.

Certain programs are written to take advantage of multi-core processors, like many games and power-hungry programs such as Photoshop.

However, not all are. Windows does its best to distribute the load evenly, but it's not the same.

Furthermore, many quad core processors are clocked at a lower rate than dual core. Your dual-core processor is clocked at 3.23GHz; the quad is clocked at 2.66.

Bottom line: if the programs you will be running can make use of all the cores, you will very likely see a performance increase. If they are not designed that way, there is a good chance your performance will actually decrease.

In your case, I suspect the programs you will be running can make use of the 4 cores well; many games do. But use your judgment!

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/78032-what-better-pc-gaming-dual-core-quad-core.html
Relevancy 90.3%

This post is a extension on my previous thread. I would like to hear from everyone who is interested. Which is the best for gaming: Quad core or dualcore cpu's. This is now a open discussion. I am not trying to double-post; I posted this thread to focus more on the question at hand.

Posted via Mobile Device

Relevancy 89.87%

I tripped on the cord and pulled my laptop of the desk.Shattered the screen and it won't boot. I received the oh so special caps lock blinking light. Based on the single repeating flash, I have determined my processor (AMD Quad-Core A10-5745M) gave up. I have tried every suggestion I could find on the net with no change so I'm going to replace it. There in lies the problem. I cant find one. Did I forget how to shop online or are they not available? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

A:Can't find a replacement for dead AMD Quad-Core A10-5745M AP...

Hi, Did you know you also need to change the motherboard too ? The following image shows 4 available part numbers:            You can buy from the following store for example (change part # for your need).       http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?SearchText=763424-501 Regards.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Can-t-find-a-replacement-for-dead-AMD-Quad-Core-A10-5745M/td-p/5774487
Relevancy 87.29%

Hey,

So I am looking into a laptop to purchase, and I came accross the intel i7 processor and I am wondering which i7 is better - the core i7-620m 2.66GHz, which is dual core or the Core i7-720QM 1.60GHz.

If I have one program open, like After Effects, which processor will it run better on? I know the quadcore is better for multiple processes, but will it run After Effects on 1.60ghz instead of a 2.66 core?

Relevancy 86.86%

Which is better for playing games?
A 2.4Ghz Quad Core Processor
or a 3Ghz Dual Core Processor?

I opted for the quad core on the assumption that more cores was better, but this doesn''t seem to be the case.

To what extent should I regret my decision?

Thanks all,
me10

A:Quad Core Vs. Dual Core

How long is a rope?

Seriously in order for anyone to give you an answer, you need to post the exact cpus you are referring to in the above post.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/quad-core-vs-dual-core.788274/
Relevancy 86.86%

Basically i'm not a computer expert I know the basic/intermediate knowledge of a computer and would like some tips. Im into my gaming, not very competitive gaming so none of the popular CoD games and such but games such as WoW, WarRock, RisingForceOnline and such others but I came across a dilemma. What would be better for gaming, a quad core processor, or a dual core processor. The processor's I speak of are the

AMD ATHLON II X4 635 AM3 Quad Core Processor 4 x 2.9Ghz

And the

AMD Athlon II X2 Dual Core 255 3.10GHz

I'm a bit unsure of how this all works out because the quad core has 4 x 2.9Ghz processors therfore a total of 11.6Ghz, and the Dual core would equal 6.2Ghz. Could some explain to me how all of this works and which would be better for my situation?

Thankyou

Mike

A:Quad core vs Dual core

First, the quad-core has 4 2.9GHz processors equal to 4 2.9GHz processors. They are not accumulative. Don't mistake this.

The average Windows program is written for one processor. That program will use one processor, regardless of how many you have in your system. Windows is not like Linux. The operating system doesn't control processor use, the individual programs do.

WoW has been optimized for use with multiple processors. But it hasn't been written from the ground up to support them.

In WoW's case, you will see better performance on the dual-core listed than the quad-core, provided you are not doing anything else on the computer at the time.

In short, multiple processors optimize using multiple programs (that actually use the processor in the first place). They don't optimize the speed of a single process. Don't add up processors for speed. It doesn't work that way.

Courtney

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/quad-core-vs-dual-core.963028/
Relevancy 86.86%

with Intel having a price crash on the 22nd of july i am torn where to go to build a friends new rig!! they want a decent gaming rig in order to play crysis flat out but on a bit of a budget of £1200...

so would it be best for me to build using an intel quad core intel Q6600, which will cost the same as the top end dual core Intel Core 2 Duo E6850...(around £130-180 after the price crash)

then the question is ddr3 or stick with low latency ddr2

and which graphics card to go for thats around £200 mark...i was thinking the foxconn geforce 8800 gts...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dual-core-v-quad-core.595212/
Relevancy 86.86%

Hi,

I was just wondering, what is the difference between normal quad core, and the ones with "extreme" stuck on the end. Both from Intel.

This also applies to Core 2 Duo from Intel.

I can't spot it (except for the price), so someone help me out here.

A:Intel Quad core/Quad core extreme difference? (Q6600/QX6700)

im not to sure but i think it has somthing to do with the multiplyer

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/intel-quad-core-quad-core-extreme-difference-q6600-qx6700.93982/
Relevancy 86%

Hi again. Earlier, I posted a topic that asked if the rig could run Crysis on Ultra High: http://forums.techguy.org/games/811745-solved-can-run-crysis.html However, I'm seeing people using quad cores and think about changing to it. Obviously, the quads would be more expensive and I'm wondering if it's worth the change. The other forums that I checked always showed mixed answers. I know many people have asked this and now it's my turn: is the extra $ worth it? Also, I'm thinking about changing my Kingston 4Gb ValueRAM DDR3 for a Corsair 4GB RAM DDR3 for about $10 more. Worth it? ( more comments about my computer capable of running Crysis on Ultra High are welcome) Thanks

UPDATE: I'm now wondering between 512 Gb Sapphire Radeon 4870 or the 1 GB version. Comments?

Relevancy 86%

Hi I am considering upgrading from my current single-core P to dual or quad core with new mobo and memory but keeping same NVidia GeForce GTX video for now My question is whether I should also upgrade Windows currently running Win Ultimate bit to bit and would I also need to upgrade my any it core, speed Dual/Quad up app? will apps to bit to take advantage of Dual/Quad core, will it speed up any app? the dual cores I have one game that specifically states it will run better on multi-core processor but what about apps that don t specify cores I have a very old app that processes sound files Cool Edit with all of the plug-ins Some of the ops take a long time to complete and I m wondering whether this will take less time if I run mutli cores on Windows bit Another app I have that can take a while to process data is Adobe Photoshop This is a very old version so it won t be multi-core aware either If it turns out that upgrading will only get me better performance in the one game then it may not be worth the expanse Thanks for your advice FW nbsp

A:Dual/Quad core, will it speed up any app?

I don't think that you will notice any performance gains from your applications unless they are specifically coded for 64 Bit. Anyhow, it's a good idea to switch to 64 Bit Windows especially if you have 4GB RAM or greater.

All 32 Bit programs should run fine in any 64 Bit environment.

As for advantages of upgrading the CPU, there are many. A dual / quad will easily outperform your current CPU by MILES! The P4 chockes on most recent games (notably Crysis). It might also bottleneck the 9800GTX.

What will you be essentially using the PC for? Gaming / encoding / ?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-quad-core-will-it-speed-up-any-app.142483/
Relevancy 86%

Pick the one with the higher Ghz (clock) rate unless you do have some applications (games, video processing?) that truly can simultaneously use more than 2 processors.

A word to the wise.

99% of the time, you won't have 4 running units of work.

Plenty of graphs of real application use show the faster duo finishing tasks more quickly.

A:Dual vs quad core - choosing

Remember, though, Windows itself is threadsafe, and the thread scheduler will try to balance workloads across idle CPUs (and prefer physical cores to hyperthreaded ones too, until the system gets too busy to avoid them). Just because most of your applications might be single-threaded doesn't mean Windows can't balance that load across multiple CPUs just fine. Of course, if you only run one app at a time and it isn't capable by itself of taxing multiple CPUs, that does mean very little.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/211626-dual-vs-quad-core-choosing.html
Relevancy 85.14%

ok guys.. I upgraded a kt600a MB to an asus one, that has an athon II x4 620 CPU. 2.64ghz, 3.24gig mem (4 installed, with xp pro as operating system), 32 bit.
On my boot up, it says 4 cores running.. have no idea what that means.

Only differance I see is when I am chatting in a chat room and converting videos from FLV to AVI format.. the system no longer slows down.

What exactly is the imporatance of quad core? is it designed for multi tasking? And if I wanted a MB/CPU for gaming, which would be better, Dual, Single, or quad?

I really have no idea how to tweek this thing..

Thanks,

A:Single, dual, quad core CPU's.. whats up?

Quad Core means you have 4 CPUs on one chip, so yes its great for multitasking.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/single-dual-quad-core-cpus-whats-up.923050/
Relevancy 85.14%

I'm trying to figure out what machine is best for me to get. I dont game, I just usually have about 20+ browser tabs open, zone alarm, trillian, skype, and i talk on aim, browse websites and work on my website. i just want something extremely responsive. i run a virtual machine (running win XP here and there too, to run programs that i dont trust opening)

do i go with the dual core or quad core? i keep getting mixed reviews. please backup your answer. thank you very much

A:3.2GHz Dual Core or 2.8GHZ Quad?

Personal preference: I'd go with the quad core if you're going to be running virtual machines. In my experience it helps with the host machine not getting bogged down as much while the VM is up and running.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/151974-3-2ghz-dual-core-2-8ghz-quad.html
Relevancy 85.14%

i have this
Intel Core i5-2410M for my laptop
in task manager it has 4 thing in cpu indicating 4 cores and in device manager it has 4 cpu in it nut when i search online it says that it is a dual core proccessor so i need to know

A:Intel Core i5-2410M dual or quad

Hi there!

It is a dual core processor, but it has HT (hyper threading) enabled (recent feature of intel cpus). Which multiplies the number of cores virtually gaining more performance with the same physical structure. So it acts like a quad core cpu but it has got 2 real cores.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/191351-intel-core-i5-2410m-dual-quad.html
Relevancy 84.28%

would like to put together a desktop system utilizing the following components..How different would it be configuring this system w/ these components.

2 Xenon Quad Core CPU's
Motherboard
Vista Ultimate 64bit
2 300GB 10K RPM Raid
12GB Memory
512MB Video Card
DVD Drive
USB Card
Sound card
2 Network Cards

or similar to this configuration/system.

tks.

john

Relevancy 84.28%

Hi people I want to upgrade my cpu from e dual to a quad core but i am short of money and these things are very expensive where i stay a q is from best.!!! core to help a and quad Upgrading dual!!!! the deciding need cheapest atleast so its hard to find anything worthiwhile i Upgrading to a quad core from dual!!!! need help deciding the cheapest and best.!!! need some tips and answers i was looking at a q and it looks quite decent as you can overclock it to atleast ghz but is it worthwhile to get it for half the price of a q Also is it going to be outdated pretty soon i dont want Upgrading to a quad core from dual!!!! need help deciding the cheapest and best.!!! to upgrade too soon i have a GTX GC mb which is getting extremely bottlenecked by this CPU and i want to get the most out of it as i have bought it for I live in new zealand SYSTEM Intel Core Duo ghz gb DDR ram mhz Windows ultimate bit GTX GC MB Thermaltake w power supply LGA a few HDD s totaling TB And thats it Thanks for any help provided Cheers Sanil nbsp

A:Upgrading to a quad core from dual!!!! need help deciding the cheapest and best.!!!

what motherboard do you have

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/upgrading-to-a-quad-core-from-dual-need-help-deciding-the-cheapest-and-best.988959/
Relevancy 84.28%

I was looking on ebay and I saw a Asus P5E Motherboard (Socket 775 Quad/Dual Core)?? I don't know anything about
this motherboard. Can anyone provide any information about it?

Also I am looking for motherboard/CPU kits but as I look I don't know what is good. I am not looking for the
latest and greatest electronics but I want something that is reasonable up to date to run XP on. Any suggestions on
where to find info and prices?
Thank you,

Relevancy 84.28%

Hello I've seen this posted on a few forums so here goes It appears that various folks have struggled with this process through Vista and Windows XP - This is my first post and I've heard nothing but good help! Dual xeon-- single recognizing only quad core things about this group Please help me INTENT I am upgrading a Dell Precision Workstation with Dual Quad Core Xeon Processors GB RAM and GB SAS ATA HD from Windows XP- to Windows SP Professional -Bit Fresh installation CHALLENGE Windows -Bit SP Professional will NOT see the nd XEON processor Dual quad core only recognizing single xeon-- help! THINGS TRIED I used MSCONFIG in the start Menu Went to the Boot Tab Pressed the Advanced Options Button and on multiple boots did Dual quad core only recognizing single xeon-- help! the following a Clicked on the multiple processors button and rebooted b Clicked it again and rebooted I was only able to select processors from the single Xeon that the system is seeing I upgaded the system BIOS from Dell's A to A I entered F to enter BIOS setup and looked for any Multiprocessor menu's support HAL selection etc Nada There is one menu for multi-threading which this generation of Xeon does NOT support Xeon E Went to my local computer store bought some new heat-paste and reseated both processors Rebooted and tried and again No sucesss I double checked all the other things you might think about This is a stock Dell MOBO and I didn't see any CUDA-styled swith like on the Apple to reset the MOBO There aren't any jumpers on this system to turn on off a dual processor set up I double checked all the connections to hard-drives video cards sound cards internal USB and the like with out any success THINGS TO NOTE The BIOS doesn't see anything but processor with a single quad core THINGS I'M THINKING ABOUT I'm new to Windows but wasn't there an ACPI HAL Stuff in Windows XP that you could click or not click for multi-processor support vs Single Processor Support Where is this function if available in Windows Professional I'm going to reseat the CPU's again but this time reverse them put processor in processor slot and visa versa so if one of them is bad I'll see it in the BIOS doing this reversal I just bought this unit refurbished so I believe I'll be in a good spot since I got a warrenty with it for year and I can easily get a new part QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP What else is there to try regarding multi-processor support from Dell and the Precision when migrating from -bit XP to -bit Windows Professional I do have a Windows Virtual Machine running XP -bit emmulator running on the system to use some software that isn't -bit compatible and probably never will Could this cause a problem Are there any known issues regarding this mess

A:Dual quad core only recognizing single xeon-- help!

There are a few knowns for others in this situation that need to be said about Windows 7 and that is:

To elaborate, the Home Basic and Starter editions support 1 physical processor, with an unlimited amount of cores. All other editions support 2 physical processors.

Remember, it's processor, then core. A processor consists of cores.

So...

Windows Starter and Home Premium dont' support Muti-Processing
Windows Professional, Enterprise, and ultimate Do.

By the Way, I'm using Professional 64-bit. I downloaded CPU-Z as directed by several other folks wrestling with similar issues on the web. I am copying and pasting the resuts here for your assistance.

CPU-Z TXT Report
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Binaries
CPU-Z version 1.60
Processors
Number of processors 1
Number of threads 4

APICs
Processor 0
-- Core 0
-- Thread 0 0
-- Core 1
-- Thread 0 1
-- Core 2
-- Thread 0 2
-- Core 3
-- Thread 0 3

Processors Information
Processor 1 ID = 0
Number of cores 4 (max 4)
Number of threads 4 (max 4)
Name Intel Xeon E5320
Codename Clovertown
Specification Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5320 @ 1.86GHz
Package (platform ID) Socket 771 LGA (0x6)
CPUID 6.F.7
Extended CPUID 6.F
Core Stepping B3
Technology 65 nm
Core Speed 1592.1 MHz
Multiplier x FSB 6.0 x 265.3 MHz
Rated Bus speed 1061.4 MHz
Stock frequency 1866 MHz
Instructions sets MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, EM64T, VT-x
L1 Data cache 4 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L1 Instruction cache 4 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L2 cache 2 x 4096 KBytes, 16-way set associative, 64-byte line size
FID/VID Control yes
FID range 6.0x - 7.0x
Max VID 1.250 V

If you want the thread dumps and all that other fancy stuff send me an email and I'll forward it to you.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/219867-dual-quad-core-only-recognizing-single-xeon-help.html
Relevancy 84.28%

Hello friends

What is difference between corei7 dual core and core i7 core2 quad?

A:diffrence between corei7 dual core and core2 quad

reza, welcome to SF. I'm a AMD guy but all Intel i7's are either quad cores or six cores. All i5's are quads and all i3's are dual cores. But I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again but I'm fairly confident on this.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/222099-diffrence-between-corei7-dual-core-core2-quad.html
Relevancy 84.28%

Is this upgrade from
 i7-920 8mb L2 Cache, 2.66GHz
 to a
Dual or Quad core possible? If so how would I know which processor to buy?

thanks so much!

-G

A:Upgrading my DELL XS 9100 CPU to Dual or Quad core

Hi Gallystops,Please find the list of processors compatible with Studio XPS 9100.

Intel® Core i7 920 (Bloomfield)Intel® Core i7 930 (Bloomfield)Intel® Core i7 960 (Bloomfield)Intel® Core i7 980X (Gulftown)

Process
45 nm
45 nm
45 nm
32 nm

No. of cores
4 (8 SMT)
4 (8 SMT)
4 (8 SMT)
6 (12 SMT)

transistors
731 Million
731 Million
731 Million
1.17 Billion

Socket
LGA1366
LGA1366
LGA1366
LGA1366

L1 Cache size
32KB
32KB
32KB
32KB

L2 Cache size
4 X 256KB
4 X 256KB
4 X 256KB
6 X 256KB

L3 Cache size
8MB Shared
8MB Shared
8MB Shared
12MB Shared

Clock speed
2.66GHz
2.8GHz
3.2GHz
3.33GHz

Reference Clock
133MHz
133MHz
133MHz
133MHz

Default Core Clock Multi

QPI Link Bandwidth (FSB replacement)
4.8GT/s
4.8GT/s
4.8GT/s
6.4GT/s

QPI Link Clock
2.4GHz
2.4GHz
2.4GHz
2.4GHz

QPI Link Multi
x18
x18
x18
x18

Memory Controller
DDR3 800/1066 Triple Channel
DDR3 1066 Triple Channel

TDP

EM64T support
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes

SMT
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes

Execute Disable Bit
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes

Enhanced SpeedStep® Technology
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes

Intel Virtualization Technology
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes

Thanks & Regards Manshu S #iworkfordell

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19487781
Relevancy 83.42%

Hi Last year I built a machine my first it s a dual quad core amd opteron barcelona chips on a tyan thunder mobo I have two of these dynatron cpu coolers which work fine but are LOUD Okay this was my first build opteron core/amd machine for quiet dual cpu quad cooler and I bought the wrong RAM quiet cpu cooler for dual quad core/amd opteron machine like three times thanks to the folks on this board who helped me with that and it probably wasn t necessary to build such a big machine but I wanted a total buffalo-hunting machine anyway on newegg I ve never seen a lot of options for socket F cpu coolers I did a search and came across this Noctua NH-U DO I was wondering if anyone knows if that will fit in my board or has any experience with them newegg doesn t have that model which I guess I thought was a little weird Also I ve had the machine and quiet cpu cooler for dual quad core/amd opteron machine loved it for almost a year so this isn t like an overnight need will there be more quiet cpu coolers coming out in the near future Thanks bp nbsp

Relevancy 78.69%

Got a refubished small form factor elite that I need to upgrade the videocard so that we have HDMI output for our church projector system. Was wondering if the ASUS GeForce 210 would work with the 240 watt psu?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/HP-8200-Elite-SFF-Desktop-Core-Intel-i5-2400-3-1GHz-Quad/td-p/5754980
Relevancy 77.83%

Does anyone here actually have, or know someone who has, one of these computers?
It sounds like a good buy (WalMart), and I read the various reviews but of course I have no way of knowing if they are real/true or not.
The sealed liquid cooling, does that mean no maintenance ever?
I do not normally do a lot of internal work/replacement other than upgrading video cards and so the limited upgrades would probably not bother me very much.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hp-firebird-voodoodna-802-gaming-desktop-pc-w-intel-core-2-quad-processor-q9400.829841/
Relevancy 76.11%

Hi, I'm thinking to replace my Dual Core CPU 6850 by a Quad Core G 9650 or an Intel 2 Quad G 670. Socket 775 LGA.

Is the Bios for these CPU's still downloadeble and where can you find it?

Thank's

A:Bios for Quad Core or Intel 2 Quad series still available?

en.community.dell.com/.../19391541

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19996715
Relevancy 73.1%

I'm looking at new laptops and would like to know what ppl think of the AMD Phenom II Quad Core Mobile Processor N930 VS the Intel Core I3 350M Processor.

Thanks for the input.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/amd-phenom-ii-quad-core-mobile-pro-vs-intel-core-i3-350m.933557/
Relevancy 73.1%

I am looking to build my own PC as I can't afford £1,000+ to get someone to make one for me, I will be using it for gaming and communication and a little college work, I will probably be using Bullguard to protect it and OpenOffice instead of Microsoft Office with a Win 7 64bit OS.

Bearing this in mind what would be the best Processor for the Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz Quad-Core (BX80637I53570K) Processor and what would be the maximum Memory and Storage I could attach to it? ( I preferably want 8GB of Memory and 1tb of storage ) but I can be flexible.

A:What would be the best motherboard for a Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz Quad-Core (BX80637I53570K) Processor?

The CPU you want is the i5 3570K. That runs on the socket LGA 1155. When you are on a budget, any mid range mobo will suit your needs. Use the savings from the mobo towards a better HDD or even an SSD. You will also need a GPU.

I would recommend the ASUS P8Z77-V LK motherboard. As for RAM, 8GB is enough. As for the HDD, 1TB is great. I recommend the WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD.

Make sure you can get in a GPU.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-would-be-the-best-motherboard-for-a-intel-core-i5-3-4-ghz-quad-core-bx80637i53570k-processor.195497/
Relevancy 73.1%

I have a xigmatek rifle cpu cooler on a quad core q processor a temps air core quad q9550 on core cooling? are for what normal and I am wondering what should my core temps be Coretemp is showing at idle - core - C core - C core - C core - C Why is core so much higher Is it possible the thermal compound above the core is what are normal core temps for a quad core q9550 on air cooling? not as spread out as it is on the other cores I used arctic silver and followed the instructions to put the compound on as a single line across what are normal core temps for a quad core q9550 on air cooling? the cores of the cpu Also I have speedfan and for some reason it reports different core temperatures core - C core - C core - C core - C Also what is the quot internal temp quot and quot remote temp quot that speedfan reports It also seems to have confused the CPU with quot System quot as CPU is showing C and System C Lastly my video card ATI HD seems to run so hot temps at IDLE are GPU temp - C GPU Load Fan Sped RPM GPU Temp DISPIO GPU TEMP MEMIO C GPU Temp SHADERCORE C VDDC Current Amps VDDC slave temp C VDDC slave temp C VDDC slave temp C VDDC V nbsp

Relevancy 73.1%

I did a check today on my computer because its been running slower than I thought it would when I bought it. When I ran the test it said I have 1 core working, and that the processor is at 2.36 GHz, not the 2.66 it should be at. I don't know why only 1 of the cores is working, so I was hoping one of u tech guys out there might know... Can anyone help?

A:Solved: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 with only 1 working core

Sure!

Can you give specifics on your computer such as make and model # and your OS?
(if custom built; motherboard model and model#, operating system, memory amount, BIOS settings if applicable..etc)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-intel-core-2-quad-q8400-with-only-1-working-core.947536/
Relevancy 73.1%

Is Core I5 750 2.66GHZ Quad Core CPU & MSI P55-CD53 P55 ATX DDR3 Motherboard a good choice?

Or should I get an Intel board and which Intel board?

Thanks!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/core-i5-750-2-66ghz-quad-core-cpu-msi-p55-cd53-p55-atx-ddr3-motherboard.878295/
Relevancy 72.24%

I like to monitor temps at all times, I overclock slighty nothing major but ever since I recently installed a Q8400 intel 2.66ghz quad core over my previous dual core all the temp programs I download like my favorite real temp, shows the first 2 cores floating back and forth from high 60's-70's and core 3 and 4 or really its listed 0-1-2-3, so core 0 and 1 change like normal in the 60F's-70F's I have a cold basement and awesome cooling and core 2 and 3 are frozen at 100 and 99. I tried CPUID HWMonitor and the same result, 0 and 1 are fine and 2 is frozen at 100 and 3 is frozen at 99. What could be causing this??

Relevancy 72.24%

Hi,

I am about to buy a new CPU. What CPU would be better, Core 2 Duo E8400 or Core 2 Quad Q9400, considering I do the following things on the computer:

- A lot of Visual Basic and Photoshop
- Surfing
- Listening to music
- A little *gaming* (some old games like CS or something).

Thank`s in advance.

Relevancy 70.95%

Hi I am brand new to this site and need some advice I have never bought a dell I have an HP right now laptop computer but am about to My husband has a dell credit account so that is where I have to buy from I m looking at Dell laptops Both are Inspiron but one has AMD Quad Core A - M Processor and the other has th Generation Intel Core i Processor Please help I i3? Intel 4th Quad Vs. Core AMD A6 Generation Core don t do AMD Quad Core A6 Vs. 4th Generation Intel Core i3? any gaming if that helps just social apps surfing watch netflix check email and pay bills Here are the specs AMD Quad core- AMD A - Quad-Core APU with Radeon R Graphics GB rpm SATA Hard Drive Radeon R Graphics inch LED Backlit Display with Truelife and HD resolution x Dell Wireless-N Bluetooth WHr -Cell Battery removable Intel Core i th Generation Intel Core i - U M Cache GH GB rpm SATA Hard Drive Intel HD Graphics Dell Wireless-N Bluetooth WHr -Cell Battery Please give me any advice because he has to order this tonight Thank you so much nbsp

Relevancy 70.95%

I started buying the parts yesterday with the case and motherboard I picked up an Antec Nine Hundred case and an ASUS P KC motherboard This board will support either the core duo or core quad chip and has slots for ddr dimms and ddr So here s what I m thinking for the rest Antec TP - PSU W Western Digital GB HDD EVGA MB Video PCI-E Question Should I go with the Core Duo at GHz or the Core Quad at In either case I can get either GB DDR at MHz or GB DDR at MHz for roughly the same price With the DDR the memory would be maxed out - System Quad? Core or Build Core Duo 2 2 New because there New System Build - Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Quad? are only two DDR slots and I can t find GB DDR dimms that I can afford Edit I picked out a Zalman New System Build - Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Quad? cooler because I have one in my current PC and when I installed it it cut the idle temp on the CPU by degrees but the case has a side vent and room for a mm fan Should I get the cooler or stick with the stock HSF and install the side fan This case is loaded with fans already - two mm in front pushing through the drive bays mm exhaust fan at the top rear of the case and a mm on top I think the W PSU will handle that and more nbsp

Relevancy 70.95%

Ok, I'm building a CPU and I'm stuck between Intel's Core 2 Duo E8500 and their Core 2 Quad Q9300. I was going to go for the quad-core, but I heard things about how apps still aren't optimized for four cores. I will mainly be gaming, occasionally using photoshop and flash.

My problem is
a) I want games and apps to run good today
b) I want have a solid CPU that will give me excellent performance for the next 2-3 years.

What's the techguy.org consensus? I have to go with Intel as I already bought a mobo, and $270 is my absolute price maximum for a processor.

Relevancy 70.95%

Hello yesterday i've made a system restore and some apps like Coretemp, CPU-Z and HWMonitor gives me as result Core #0 but in task manager on performance tab it display the four cores working. I read in some other threads about the advanced option in msconfig i've already checked\unchecked the number of processors but nothing happened. Please give me some hope before i need to reinstall windows again, there is so much to config and install CHRISTMAS IS COMING!!!

A:Quad Core detected as single core

Try to uninstall then reinstall those programs and see what happens

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/355115-quad-core-detected-single-core.html
Relevancy 70.95%

been noticing this over the last several weeks.....core 3 is always lower in temps than than the rest of the quad......any idea why?

A:core 3 of quad core CPU always lower temp?????

More than likely a stuck sensor, Bushman. I have one that's been stuck from day one. It stays at 40 while the other three are all below, but goes up when the temp goes up.

Kinda the nature of some quads. Nothing can be done, that I know about, but there's nothing to fear from it. Won't hurt anything, but I sort of like things to be accurate.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/102931-core-3-quad-core-cpu-always-lower-temp.html
Relevancy 70.95%

I'm having an issue with my CPU. It seems that it is only using one of its cores. This issue first became apparent to me when I was trying to run Blacklight Retribution. It popped up a warning message saying that my computer does not meet the minimum requirements of have at least a dual core. And indeed the game was unplayable, with single digit fps constantly.

However when i go to the performance tab of my task manager it shows 4 graphs, meaning that 4 cores must be running. Then I go the boot tab of my systems configuration, click on advanced options and underneath the "Number of Processors:" check box (which is unchecked), it shows 1 as the number of processors.

My processor is an Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.60GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.6GHz.

These seem to be conflicting and I'm not sure what to do. Please help me.

A:Quad core processor only running on one core.

This will answer it for you........
Processors - Limit Number Used by Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/238478-quad-core-processor-only-running-one-core.html
Relevancy 70.95%

Hi I just installed a q E stepping version to my custom built pc and it wont post it wont load anything nothing gets displayed from Post Quad Duo won't Core Core to 2 Upgrading on the screen at all and no beeps occur It turns on for about - secs than simply turns off and repeats endlessly I put the previous Upgrading from Core 2 Duo to Quad Core won't Post cpu back in Core Duo e and everything load perfectly fine I had to fit the Upgrading from Core 2 Duo to Quad Core won't Post old cpu back in because this is the only comp i have atm and i am posting this thread from the computer in question Upgrading from Core 2 Duo to Quad Core won't Post System Specs Gigabyte EP UD P revision with FB bios Old Cpu - e Core Duo New Cpu - q E stepping gb x gb OCZ Reaper HPC ram Mhz Sapphire HD Thermaltake Evo Blue W psu and the other usual stuff cd burner harddrive etc according to gigabytes website this bios version supports the q Everything is installed properly the cpu heatsink fan is fitted correctly thermal paste etc applied Fan is plugged in properly and spins while trying to boot Everything works as per normal but the computer wont Post or load anything at all with the q installed Like i said earlier i simply put the e back in and the computer loaded perfectly fine the motherboard booklet isn t very helpful it shows you how to physically quot install quot the cpu but doesnt tell you what you should do when upgrading from a dual core to a quad It shows you how to clear the CMOS but doesnt tell you quot when quot of quot if quot you need to Do i need to clear the CMOS to make it work Is there something else that could be wrong Could the q be DoA dead on arrival Please help nbsp

A:Upgrading from Core 2 Duo to Quad Core won't Post

You have tried clearing CMOS ? Install the CPU then clear.
If that doesn't work then you're probably right in assuming you have a DOA CPU.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgrading-from-core-2-duo-to-quad-core-wont-post.142641/
Relevancy 70.09%

I have got a Supermicro X5DA8 mainboard with two Xeon 2.8 GHz processors.
Would two of those processors
Intel Xeon CPU Processor 3.2 GHz 533 MHz
1MB 604 SL72Y as offered on ebay
Intel Xeon CPU Processor 3 2 GHz 533 MHz 1MB 604 SL72Y | eBay
work with my
mainboard?
Super Micro Computer, Inc. - Products | Motherboards | Xeon Boards | X5DA8

A:Xeon Dual Core 2.8GHz, can I easily upgrade to Dual Core 3.2GHz ?

Super Micro has no CPU support list that I could find for this board, nor in the manual. It may take a call or email to them to find out for sure.
I would be careful buying such used item from an eBay seller, check their return policies and reviews first.

Overall, from what little info I could find, it seems the 3,2GHz Xeons will work, but just a guess.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/289796-xeon-dual-core-2-8ghz-can-i-easily-upgrade-dual-core-3-2ghz.html
Relevancy 70.09%

I am torn between buying one of two Acer laptops Both have almost identical features--RAM HD webcam -cell battery memory card reader and are the same price-- on sale but the processors seem to be the big difference and I would like to know which one you folks feel I should go with I should also mention that the AMD laptop Intel P520 2.3 AMD Pentium Dual-Core dual-core or GHz GHz? 2.0 X2 P6100 Turion also has a Blue-Ray Disc drive and read writes normal CDs and DVDs The only other major difference when comparing specs is that the AMD laptop has an HD CineCrystal LED-backlit TFT widescreen display ATI Radeon HD graphics with MB of dedicated system memory supporting Unified Video Decoder UVD OpenEXR High Dynamic-Range HDR technology Shader Model Microsoft DirectX While the Pentium laptop has CineCrystal LED-backlit display Intel HD graphics with MB of dedicated system memory supporting Microsoft DirectX I ve been driving myself crazy for the past days trying to decide which one to go with and I need to decide quickly as I AMD Turion X2 dual-core P520 2.3 GHz or Intel Pentium Dual-Core P6100 2.0 GHz? m not sure how long they will be at this sale price--and I do have to stay at the range From the many laptops I checked out these seem to offer the most for the money I would truly appreciate your advice Thanks Gina nbsp

A:AMD Turion X2 dual-core P520 2.3 GHz or Intel Pentium Dual-Core P6100 2.0 GHz?

Confused

I'm sorry to bother you folks again, but I noticed that my question had 55 views but no replies. Did I perhaps give incorrect or confusing information, or maybe posted my question in the wrong forum? I tried looking at some of the other similar questions asked, but none seemed to help with my question.

I guess I'm basically wondering that since the 2 Acer laptops are the same price, would you go with the Intel Pentium Dual-Core P6100, 2.0GHz, 3MB L3 cache, or the AMD Turion X2 dual-core P520, 2.3 GHz, 1066MHz Front Side Bus, 2MB L2 cache. This laptop also has a Blu-Ray Disc Drive, but I've read conflicting opinions on whether having this is necessary or not.

Although I consider myself to be an intermediate computer user, I am lost when it comes to processors, and also when it comes to 'dedicated amount of system memory.' I know that 'dedicated' memory is better, but does it make a difference how much there is in different brands? In other words, could the lesser amount of 128MB 'dedicated' in the Pentium still be better than the 256MB in the AMD? I'm leaning toward the AMD Turion laptop because of the higher numbers, but I've read enough to know that you can't always rely on that alone.

I'm sorry to ask my question again, but I've been given a lot of help here at CNET in the past, so I was surprised when I logged on today to see that no one expressed an opinion on which one of the two they would buy.

Any assistance would really be helpful and appreciated.....Gina

GinaPA said:

I am torn between buying one of two Acer laptops. Both have almost identical features--RAM, HD, webcam, 6-cell battery, memory card reader, and are the same price--$499.00 (on sale); but the processors seem to be the big difference, and I would like to know which one you folks feel I should go with.

I should also mention that the AMD laptop also has a Blue-Ray Disc drive (and read/writes normal CDs and DVDs).

The only other major difference when comparing specs is that the AMD laptop has an HD CineCrystal LED-backlit TFT widescreen display, ATI Radeon HD 4250 graphics with 256MB of dedicated system memory, supporting Unified Video Decoder 2 (UVD2), OpenEXR High Dynamic-Range (HDR) technology, Shader Model 4.0, Microsoft DirectX 10.1
.........While the Pentium laptop has CineCrystal LED-backlit display, Intel HD graphics with 128 MB of dedicated system memory, supporting Microsoft DirectX 10.

I've been driving myself crazy for the past 3 days trying to decide which one to go with and I need to decide quickly as I'm not sure how long they will be at this sale price--and I do have to stay at the $500.00 range. From the many laptops I checked out, these 2 seem to offer the most for the money. I would truly appreciate your advice!

Thanks,
GinaClick to expand...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/amd-turion-x2-dual-core-p520-2-3-ghz-or-intel-pentium-dual-core-p6100-2-0-ghz.160065/
Relevancy 68.8%

hey just wonderinf if anyone could help me choose out of these two processors.would be greatly appreciated

AMD Athlon Dual-Core QL-67 (2.2GHz, HyperTransport? 3: up to 4.0 (GT/sec), 2MB L2 Cache)

Intel® Pentium® processor T4300 (2.1GHz, 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache)
thank you

A:Comparing amd athlon dual core and intel pentium dual core

They are quite similar. Both have nearly the same clock speed. Both have a total of 1MB of L2cache but the intel's is shared and the AMD's is exclusive. The intel is 45nm and the AMD is 65nm which means the AMD will run hotter most likely. The AMD gets a boost from its on die memory controller and HyperTransport links on its motherboard. Both are capable of running full 64 operating systems.

The best difference between them would be as to what is on board their respective laptop. The AMD will have quite respectable performance from its video chip as I would hope it either a Radeon HD 3200 or better a 4200 with SidePort memory. These are about the best you can get for integrated video these days. The intel will undoubtedly have a GMA4500. These don't game very well nor do they do a very good job of playing high def video. The AMD chipset should have a fairly complete selection of connectors and functions. The interl may or may not, depending on the maker.

Both chips have a TDP of 35 Watts. The intel should offer slightly longer battery life for a given series of tasks, say about a half hour.

As you can see, these two CPUs are quite similar on and of themselves, the supporting cast of laptop parts makes or breaks the deal.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/comparing-amd-athlon-dual-core-and-intel-pentium-dual-core.140169/
Relevancy 68.37%

Hi all,
HELP!
My quad-core processor is only running 1 core. I have scrawled the web for fixed and such, but I'm having no luck . Here are some images from my device manager, and CPU-Z for proof, and the problem.

http://www.imgdash.com/uploads/20049_1core.JPG

http://www.imgdash.com/uploads/4c522_1core2.JPG
As you can see, my device manager doesn't even show any processors, and only shows my computer as a Standard PC. And on the CPU-Z, at the bottom, it only shows that i'm running 1 core! (Also the same on task manager)

All chipset drivers etc were installed.

I've tried a few things, optimizing my bios and such, but im abit of a novice when it comes to the bios.

Please help, and anything you would like to know, I will be glad to be of assistance!

Thanks for your time

Kade

Relevancy 68.37%

Looks like both laptops are the same, except the AMD is a quad, as all AMDs seem to be. Is there really a speed difference since they are both 2.2GHZ? Or is AMD a better value than Intel?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1183460-REG/asus_r556la_rh51_wx_15_6_r556la_notebook.html

vs.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...c5245_a87410_6_1tb_windows_10_15_6_black.html

A:Core i5 or AMD A8-7410 Quad-Core?

Looks like the Intel Cpu is better than the Amd according to this :- http://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2440&cmp[]=2537

A major difference between those 2 laptops is the "ToshibaC55DT-C5245 15.6" Multi-Touch Notebook (Black)" has a touch screen but the "ASUS15.6" R556LA Notebook" does not.

Also the Toshiba has a DVD writer built-in and the Asus does not.

EDIT : if you're thinking of buying a new laptop why limit the choice to those 2 ?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/core-i5-or-amd-a8-7410-quad-core.1158951/
Relevancy 67.51%

Hi, I have a Acer desktop computer, it runs windows xp, and is a dual-core
it just started recently, where when it starts up it goes to a:

blank screen that say's ACER in the middle, and on the left bottom corner it says:
DEL. Enter setup F12

It stays like that forever, and will not move from that page. Even if I hit F12.
If I hold in the power button, to turn it off, and then turn it on, after acouple oftimes it will go through, and go to the normal desktop, nd runs normally.

Any idea's why i does this?

A:Help: Windows Xp Amd Athlon Dual-core Desktop Startup Problem

Have you made any changes recently?

Look in the Event Viewer and see what kind of errors are showing at these times.

Start> right click on My Computer> Manage> Event Viewer. When Event Viewer open double click on System. The columns are titled, in the column titled Type is where you will find the error symbol, it is a red dot with a white X in it. If you see one follow it across to the Event column where you will see the error code. If you right click on that and the properties a definition of the error will appear. Please post both the error codes and definitions for the first couple different errors.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/122927/help-windows-xp-amd-athlon-dual-core-desktop-startup-problem/
Relevancy 67.08%

hi, i have recently been given the above motherboard. I have wired it into my tower but when i switch it on the board reads all my hardware, but nothing appears on my monitor. I have win xp sp3 installed to 2 hard drives an ide hdd and a sata hdd. I have tried using both hard drives to boot but nothing appears on my monitor. is there known issues with the graphic? as i am thinking of buying a graphic card to see if this solves the problem. When it boots i dont get any beeping noises to say the bios isnt working. Plz help as this is very frustrating.

A:d915gag dual core intel desktop motherboard, wont boot

Hard to even start to guess at the problem. You really need to list the exact model numbers of all the parts you are using.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/d915gag-dual-core-intel-desktop-motherboard-wont-boot.1093711/
Relevancy 64.93%

I m looking to upgrade from my Core Duo ghz processor I have a Radeon HD video card which isn t so great but for now I wanna keep that Basically all I wanna know is is the Core Quad ghz http www amazon com Intel-Q -P FQM ref sr ie UTF amp qid amp sr Quad? Core 2 - worth it It s going for about but the plus side is it will work with my current motherboard The other processor I m looking at is the i - k which would require me to get a new motherboard which altogether would be about for the CPU motherboard and RAM So how good not good is that Core Quad If I used that with the HD would I be able to run newer games on low-medium-ish settings Or is it not even worth it edit To add I have GB DDR RAM but I m going to upgrade that to at least maybe - nbsp

A:Core 2 Quad?

Socket 775 is dead. Time to move on.

Consider AMD's quads for gaming and budget.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/core-2-quad.1020818/
Relevancy 64.93%

Hi guys, I just came across this http://www.frys.com/product/6039218?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG and was wondering if Fry's would actually sell this processor for $56.

A:$56 quad core

I buy a lot of stuff from Fry's

But this says currently unavailable. Not sure if they would back order it at that price or not ?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/63542-56-quad-core.html
Relevancy 64.93%

Hi,

I'm upgrading my computer parts soon and I can't decide if I should reuse my current Core 2 Quad processor or get a brand new i5/i7 processor with a new motherboard.

I'm a heavy multi-tasker, and I do audio editing and some video editing, but I don't play games. Will I see a significant boost in performance if I upgraded to i5/i7?

Appreciate your help

Relevancy 64.93%

After looking into going quad core there are two main processors I’m looking at, either the AMD Phenom 9600 or the Intel QX9650. The AMD is a 3.2 GHz per core and a cache of 1 MB per core and the Intel is a 3GHz per core and a cache of 3MB per core. My question is that would these processors be almost identical in speed when running my pc. (I don’t really use my comp that much at slight speed difference wouldn't matter too much) I ask as the AMD is price at only £160 - £170, and the Intel at £650 - £700, normally I take the idea of you get what you pay for, but at such a difference in price is it worth buying the Intel being that the AMD seems to me to be around the same level but for a hell of a lot cheaper.

Thanks for any help.

A:Quad Core CPU's

At te last count, I believe the phenom was suffering badly from underutilisation, which AMD havent fixed yet. In terms of performnce, a Q6600 s retty much as good as a 9 series, especially as it loves to overclock. for the difference in price, taking a 6600 at about £130 if you shop around, its y far the best bet i think

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/quad-core-cpus.700859/
Relevancy 64.93%

Here's a link to a you tube video that features a "personal supercomputer". It has 960 cores and can be yours for under $10,000.00.

YouTube - Tesla Personal Supercomputer

The future of the personal computer is just around the corner

A:Quad Core? Not enough, how about 960!

that is a monster Joe.......

i saw these ''Telsa'' cards a while back & i always wondered how it would help with game physics ?? they have no DVI ports though so they must work in conjuction with a standard GPU.

1x Telsa & 1x GTX280 in SLI would stomp, surly...???

SK

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/620-quad-core-not-enough-how-about-960-a.html
Relevancy 64.93%

So, I saw this quad core for super cheap so what you all think about it? Would it OC good? My mobo can handle up to 1600 FSB so I'm thinking about getting it and going strong with it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115055

A:How's this quad core you think?

Which quad core are you speaking of?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/7343-hows-quad-core-you-think.html
Relevancy 64.93%

DEAR HELP. i would like to build a new AMD quad core pc 2.6 or more ,i do not do any gaming at all.i would to do video editing ,home movies ect. i would all so like to capture digital tv. i can get a 500 gig hd for $ 45 off ebay wd . i can get a case with 650 watts psu $50, the rest i would like some help with. please do not be to tech with parts name,i am trying to learn how to go about this . thanks ulaman

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/amd-quad-core.933417/
Relevancy 64.93%

I have a hp pavilion tx 2500 2 ghz dual core 250 gig hard drive 3 gig ram laptop can i put a quad core in here thanks

A:Can I put a quad-core in this

If HP shipped this machine, in your same model and year with a quad core CPU, then probably yes. If they didn't, then it's doubtful

Hp is protective of its manuals and such. I had no luck negotiating their website as a visitor. As an owner, you would need certain information, and could then create an account to gain access to the information you seek.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-i-put-a-quad-core-in-this.154673/
Relevancy 64.93%

does anyone know when vista will be using all 4 cores of the core 2 quad cpus, like when will they fully use the core 2 quads?

A:Quad core

Uhm.. Vista does support all cores on a single physical CPU.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/quad-core.94137/
Relevancy 64.93%

Hi all, I'm just starting to look at building my first quad-core rig and I'm wondering what the best mobo/RAM combo is. For mobo I was thinking eVGA 680i but I'm not sure which RAM is best to use with that and a QX6700.
The obvious choice is Dominator, but then what speed? I've seen:
PC2-8888C4, PC2-9136C5, PC2-10000 but then I've also seen WaterCooled OCZ PC2-9200.
I will be overclocking, and using the rig for gaming.
Thanks in advance.

Trake

A:Quad-core RAM

That board will take one type of the following... just be sure whatever memory you use is identical: DDR2 533, 667, 800, or 1200 MHz. Use an NVidia chipset video graphics card. Since it offers a front side bus of either 1066 or 1333, you should have few limits on what you can use. Just use quality memory, and preferably matched or identical modules.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/quad-core-ram.71930/
Relevancy 64.93%

http://www.amazon.com/Core-Extreme-...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1173678172&sr=8-4

im thinking about getting this..i have a asus p5b mobo with a core 2 2.6 ghz core 2 duo do i need to upgrade anything to get this processor.

A:Help with Quad Core

I think you should be ok. Take a look HERE.

Regards Howard

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-with-quad-core.72015/
Relevancy 64.93%

I'm upgrading my E6600 dual core 2.4GHz cpu to a Q6600 quad core 2.4GHz cpu. I run my E6600 at ~3.2GHz - should the same speed be about as safe on a Q6600?

Relevancy 64.93%

I'm just curios which processor is better performance wise, i'm pretty sure 1 FX cant beat a Core 2 Duo, but can AMDs 4 cores crush intel's 2? Not that i'll be getting one anyway, i already decided on C2D.

A:AMD Quad FX vs. Core 2 Duo

Lol, maybe. If they are over****ed thats a yes, and yes that is a spelling mistake but I did it on accident and am not fixing it because it made me laugh

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/amd-quad-fx-vs-core-2-duo.69070/
Relevancy 64.93%

i read something on toms hardware about intel sending out quad core proccesors but does anyone have any idea when they will be comming out

Relevancy 64.93%
A:This is why you need Quad Core

Surely a Core 2 Duo could do all that and more

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/71352-why-you-need-quad-core.html
Relevancy 64.93%

I'm thinking about buying this: Newegg.com - AMD Phenom 9600 Agena 2.3GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
to replace this that I have now: Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Black Edition Processor - Processors - Desktops

I could also get this combo if I buy the quad core: Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
which would be good because right now I'm using the integrated ATI Radeon X1200

Think its worth it? Will it make that much of a difference? (I'm getting a video card anyway so my question is more for whether the processor is worth it)

A:Quad core?

Hello tdk08.

I believe you now have an AM2 socket and the Quad requires an AM2+; the problem is that the AM2+ is not backward compatible.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Later Ted

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/1770-quad-core.html
Relevancy 64.93%

Please assume I don t know a lot my lady friend bought Quad Core with Help me a new system a few months ago it has Intel Core CPU s We were gone out of town for a bit and one of our boys was housesitting When we got home I installed a program that was on my XP machine and was surprised that it didn t open any quicker on this machine then on my old one Anyways went to TAsk Manager then Performance Tab and it seemed to be showing only CPU Help with Quad Core opened sys info and it shows processor with only core and logical processor the ran HP hardware diagnostics everything seemed to pass except the multicore test Multicore Test Event Type Description Time Test Started - Sunday September AM Warning Message There are cores in the CPU a Sunday September nd only core is enabled AM Warning Message Please enable Help with Quad Core all the logical Sunday September processors and re-run the test AM again Warning Message There are cores in the CPU a Sunday September nd only core is enabled AM Warning Message Please enable all the logical Sunday September processors and re-run the test AM again Warning Message We need a minimum of two cores Sunday September to run the test AM Test Finished Help with Quad Core Misconfigured Sunday September AM now I m not certain if this problem arose before we left meaning something I did or while we were gone a couple of programs I added speedfan and Vista Firewall Control though I can t see how either of them would of affected the cpu s Help would be appreciated nbsp

A:Help with Quad Core

Things to check are the BIOS? You may need to update it to so it can see all the cores in the CPU.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-with-quad-core.747764/
Relevancy 64.93%

hi im going to build new machine looking at the amd quad core

AMD Phenom 9850 Quad-Core Black Edition, AM2+, 2.5GHz, 4MB Cache, 125w
Corsair TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF 4GB (2x XMS2 2GB) PC-8500 (1066MHz) DDR2 RAM,
Gigabyte GA-MA78G-DS3H M/b - AMD 780G/SB700 chipset, DDR2 1066, PCI-E x16, Integrated VGA, DVI/HDMI with HDCP, SATA II RAID, USB, 1394, 8-Ch, ATX

any thoughts on the parts so far

A:going quad core

Looks great so far. My only suggestion is if you can, wait a few weeks or so. There is alot news about AMD and Intel releasing new chips this late summer/early fall, But if you're happy with your layout now (And i would be) go for it.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/167962-going-quad-core.html
Relevancy 64.93%

Hi, another noob question...
could a Foxconn 45GM or Foxconn 45CM run a quad core?
cheers
+ what MHz ram will they take?

Relevancy 64.93%

Running a stand alone single application on a processor, my Intel quad core (core2 Extreme) seems to see only 16G of ram. How do I make the program utilize all 32G of ram (8x4G ram sticks).

A:How to use all 32G of ram on a quad core

??????, uhhhh would you list your detailed specs please?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-use-all-32g-of-ram-on-a-quad-core.132161/
Relevancy 64.93%

Hi guys windows vista 64 edition business how many core can it aces? I have Intel quad core i7 will it be able to see all the cores and use them? is it same with xp professional how? Many core does it use?

One last question if i am running Maya on xp pro 32bit and Maya can use all 4 cores for rendering and xp pro can only aces 2 core does that mean that Maya will not be able to use all 4 cores since operating system cant access all 4 but just 2 cores.

thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-pro-and-quad-core.786193/
Relevancy 64.93%

I'm building a new rig very soon and I was thinking of either going Duo or Quad, except they're both the same price. The Duo I want is the 8500 at 3.16ghz and the quad is a 6600 at 2.4ghz. This new computer will be with me for a long time and I'd like to know which is better for it's money considering I'm going to do a good amount of gaming.

Suggestions?

A:Core 2 Duo or Quad?

Quad

I would recommend Quad if it same price as for it's Quicker than Duo and is the sort of thing if you planning on keeping it for a while also it will help with your gaming as you know its 4 processors acting as 1 meaning it processes 4 things at once or splits 1 thing between the 4.

John

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/core-2-duo-or-quad.117380/
Relevancy 64.93%

If I want to with a Quad Core CPU...well, what do I need to know?

Relevancy 64.93%

Why do people feel the need to use a core2quad, when using a video card like a 9800GT or something? Surely you can just use a cheaper core2duo and there won't be any bottleneck? I have an E5200 (overclocked) and an HD 4850. I feel they are just the perfect match for one another. Or am I missing something here?

Relevancy 64.93%

Hi all I am not sure if I am posting this in the right section sorry if it isn t Ok so we are looking to buy a new laptop it will be for home use the kids to help I5 or quad core? Please do their homework and I5 or quad core? Please help my hubby and I for checking email and general web browsing This is the laptop I have seen http www pcworld co uk gbuk lapto aptop-silver-black- -pdt html longDesc We recently bought a laptop for my son for uni it was a Samsung and the processor i the one in the link is quad core so i was told by the guy in the store I am not sure if we should go for an i for home use of is the one in the link sufficient What am I paying more for I usually go for whatever is latest but for the price on the Packard bell i am tempted to go for this but don t want to regret Please advise me and please keep your answer simple for this non tech mum lol nbsp

Relevancy 64.07%

On the dell website for desktop PC 9150. it has the option of Intel ViiV 940 Pentium D with Dual Core and Intel Pentium D with Dual Core 940. Which one is better?
They are both the same price.

A:ViiV Dual Core or Pentium D 940 Dual Core?

No real difference I wouldn't have thought, except maybe the software package?

"Viiv" is pretty much just another platform marketing concept by Intel (like Centrino), this time based around media oriented PCs.
(Like most marketing) it's an entirely pointless exercise as far as I understand it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/viiv-dual-core-or-pentium-d-940-dual-core.484412/
Relevancy 64.07%

Hi I want to buy a QX6700 65nm 1066FSB processor for my PC. Will it fit/Do I need different speed memory? I already have a E6420 Duo in, with DDR2-PC4200 533MHz (3Gb) fitted. I heard that since the E6420 is 1066FSB and the QX6700 is also 1066FSB the memory is OK.

Relevancy 64.07%

When, in your opinion, do you think Intel Core 2 Quad or Core 2 Quad Extreme will be available for laptops?

Relevancy 64.07%

I m going to finally get a new Windows computer after almost years on my old XP machine This is due to XP expiring for updates I m going to buy from a local computer shop that will build it The current build I m looking at is one with an Intel Quad Core processor and a Crucial SSD hard drive It will run close to bucks My original reasoning behind this build was that I wanted something that would last AND age gracefully My machine now has been lasting but hasn t kept up too well with all the new tech out there The SSD for this new build is set in stone I want to try that out However two things make me doubt I for should Quad Core? computer; go new Getting a the need for a Quad Core The most intensive things I do on my computer are programming watching videos and having a lot of tabs open in Firefox No games Photoshop or stuff like that Seeing as how I m a novice programmer I doubt any Getting a new computer; should I go for Quad Core? of my applications will intentionally push any processor to the limit much less a quad Based on this info should I go for a Quad Core processor or will Dual Core be just fine for me The basic reason I want a Quad Getting a new computer; should I go for Quad Core? in the first place is that I want Getting a new computer; should I go for Quad Core? the computer to be able to better handle having a bunch of apps open at once I don t do much but I find I do tend to quot cluster quot the things I do do I might have both Firefox and a video player running alongside Visual Studio for instance EDIT Assuming I was definitely getting a quad core I was thinking of getting a build based on this processor an Intel i - http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E However this particular shop offers another build with an AMD FX -Core processor Seen on newegg here http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E The build based around the AMD processor is bucks cheaper I hear that Intel is better than AMD though What do you guys think Have you had problems with AMD processors Right now the AMD one seems to be better reviewed on amazon and newegg I know I d probably be better off money wise if I built my own PC However since the XP expiration I m feeling like this is a must and must happen quickly I m job hunting and can t afford to deal with any viruses at the moment Plus the house I m living in right now is so junky The only room where I d be able to assemble a computer is the one with a carpet floor Not chancing that My stats in case they re needed Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack bit Processor Intel R Pentium R CPU GHz x Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card Intel R G GV GL Express Chipset Family Mb Hard Drives D Total - MB Free - MB E Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard Dell Inc M CN B M Antivirus avast Antivirus Updated Yes On-Demand Scanner Enabled nbsp

A:Getting a new computer; should I go for Quad Core?

I would stick with a dual core.
Most people don't realise that multi core machines only use more than one core IF the application/OS are written for it.
I'd like to bet that 90% of the multicore machines used by Joe Public never use more than two, and even a second seldom.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/getting-a-new-computer-should-i-go-for-quad-core.1123883/
Relevancy 64.07%

Hello I have very poor AMD Phenom benchmarks WinRAR w TLB fix diabled Avg scores for my system Call Juarez FPS Avg score Dont know whats wrong Could it be a dead core How can I check My WinRAR score with the TLB fix enabled is a sickening vs disabled So I am certain that the fix was disabled at my score of Regarding number of active cores a When I run task manager I see only ONE window for CPU in performance b Running CPU-Z V shows ONE Processor ONE Core c CrystalCUPID V shows only ONE of One cores Code name Agena I should see FOUR d In Vista Sidebar using mCPU Gadget Shows Four cores Quad-Core Underperformance CPU HOWEVER only ONE ever displays activity I tested it by really loading up applications and Never saw Underperformance Quad-Core CPU activity of the other three cores I think I have a REAL Problem here help My Setup OS Windows Vista Home Premium X- SP CPU Name AMD Phenom X Agena Quad-Core Platform Socket AM AM Physical Core Clock MHz L I-Cache KB L D-Cache KB L Cache KB Full MHz L Cache KB Memory MB North Bridge G South Bridge SB Video Chip ATI Radeon HD BIOS Vendor American Megatrends Inc BIOS Version GATEWA - BIOS Date SM BIOS Caption B G P SM BIOS Version Mother Vendor Gateway Mother Product Foxconn Mother Version Piece of Junk System Vendor Gateway System Model GT BIOS ROM Size KB Mother Vendor Gateway

A:Underperformance Quad-Core CPU

I suggest a motherboard driver update. Sounds like your cores are not working together at all.

http://www.vistax64.com/gaming/206755-underperformance-quad-core-cpu.html
Relevancy 64.07%

if a quad core processor has a frequency of 2.2ghz, is that frequency the sum ofall the four cores or is it just one core that delivers this much freq?

A:Quad core processor

each core produces 2.2ghz .............thats y they call it as quadcore........

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/quad-core-processor.99179/
Relevancy 64.07%

I just built a new computer. And i got a quad core. My friends say that Windows XP can not read a quad core and will identify it as one cpu. Is this true? Is there software i need? I posted this in the hardware and XP sections because i am not sure what it falls under. Thanks.

A:XP read quad core?

NadeMaster said:

I just built a new computer. And i got a quad core. My friends say that Windows XP can not read a quad core and will identify it as one cpu. Is this true? Is there software i need? I posted this in the hardware and XP sections because i am not sure what it falls under. Thanks.Click to expand...

It is technically one cpu but will read as 4. Go Run, devmgmt.msc and then open processors and you will see.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-read-quad-core.701717/