Windows Support Forum

USB ports broken

Q: USB ports broken

I just bought a new acer aspire 5517 and it only came with 2 USB. One of the usb ports where broke when i got it so i contacted acer and the would not do anything about it. and my front Usb lookes fine but does not work. i tried
- Power Reset
- Device manager
- and i do not want to pay money for it

Someone Please help

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: USB ports broken

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: USB ports broken

See How to Reinstall Your USB Controllers and Motherboard Chipset Drivers.

Don't know if will help or not (depends on exact cause of your problem) but is worth a shot

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/usb-ports-broken.150047/
Relevancy 55.9%

Whenever I plugged any USB device into any of my USB Ports it says,

'USB Device Not Recognized
One of the USB devices attached to this computer has
malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it.'

As I said it happens when I plug in ANY USB Devices and I very much doubt that
ALL of my USB Devices are broken.

When I went on Control Panel < Device Manager < Universal Serial Bus Controller
It said it didn't have the drivers installed for them.
So I reinstalled all the drivers that came on the disk with the laptop.
That didn't work so I used the 'Repair' disk that came with the laptop to see if that
would repair it, but again it didn't.

I was just wondering if someone could help me with this.

Thanks,

VenomBite

Relevancy 55.9%

here s the deal and kudos to anyone that can help i have already tried triple s fix it didn t work so after searching the threads are ports usb broken...maybe and finding nothing like this here we go if usb ports are broken...maybe i have my mouse plugged into a port when i start the computer i m fine it will work as long as i dont unplug it and plug it back in the same for my printer if its plugged in when i start up i can print but not my flash drives smartphone and camera they do not work at all and i have no clue what to do i thought it was because i didnt have my windows activated my pc just crashed weeks ago and finally reformatted and went a couple days before activating it think something went wrong while formatting and i should do usb ports are broken...maybe it again i was running linspire and that was usb ports are broken...maybe working fine i dont know i m lost thank for any help in advance nbsp

A:usb ports are broken...maybe

do you get any error messages? like device not recognised

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/usb-ports-are-broken-maybe.606583/
Relevancy 55.9%

i have a laptop that has 2 broken USB ports. These are the only 2 on the laptop. Was wanting to know if a SD card to USB adapter exists and would work as an alternative USB port.

A:Broken USB Ports

Perhaps a PCMCIA USB expansion card would work for you. They're not terribly expensive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/broken-usb-ports.971781/
Relevancy 55.9%

HI. i have gone and damaged (broken) my 2 usb ports on my laptop i have tried to force the connecters into them ,is there anyway i can buy or use something else or would i be able to get them fixed or would it be to costly
thanks for any help i can get .

A:broken usb ports

If you have one USB port that's still working you could connect a Hub but if they all broken, it will most likely be expensive if they're soldered into the motherboard. On the other hand you might get lucky if they're just plugged in. I would contact your Laptop's Manufacturer service to get more info (esp. since you didn't tell us what brand/model it is
-DG

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/192656-broken-usb-ports.html
Relevancy 55.9%

My PC made some weird noise while shutting down last night and I finally just had to kill the power cause it wouldn't turn off. Now this morning none of my USB ports work. I have 4 on the MB and 2 on the front case which I had connected cables to the MB for. Any ideas? Can't even get into the bios now cause I use a wireless keyboard. uggg.

AMD XP3500+
MSI k8 Neo 8 MB
1 gig DDR 3200 ram
X700 Pro
SB Aug. 2

A:USB ports broken?

do you get to the desktop or does it not boot at all

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/usb-ports-broken.448341/
Relevancy 55.04%

Hello, I recently took my computer I originally built apart to install a new CPU fan and after I put it back together everything seemed to be in order however none of my USB peripherals will connect, ie mouse, keyboard, speakers. I thought I may have left a wire unplugged but checked and double checked and now I'm just stumped. My mobo is an asrock m3a790gxh/128m. Any help would be appreciated!

A:USB ports broken after installation

Solved by shorting pins 2 and 3 on PS2_USB_PW2. . I feel silly.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/usb-ports-broken-after-installation.1043257/
Relevancy 55.04%

Hi, my computer has two green ports for sound. The one on the back will only make sound come out of the right speaker, so I've plugged it in the front one which is also seemingly a bit weird cause the sound is sometimes static-y and broken. You have to like twist and push on the wire to get it just right and a lot of the time things bump it and it breaks again.

Does anyone know how to fix either of these? Preferably the back port, thanks.

Relevancy 55.04%

Hello,

all the usb ports were broken. I wanted to know if there is a way to connect a USB in some way, instead of fixing the USB ports.

I was thinking about: My laptop has DVD drive, so maybe there is a special hub or caddy that connects to sata port with USB ports? (So I will remove the DVD drive and replace it with the USB thing)
Or, maybe there is such thing as a "SD card to USB hub" device? (If not, I think it's a good idea for the hardware companies to make )

If some of them do exist, can you name them or give me some links?
Or maybe you have any other suggestions?

Thank you!

A:USB ports broken - any alternatives?

USB ports in a laptop are set up differently than desktops. There are no "headers" to speak of depending on the brand. All the space is used up or designed to stay thin. Some have USB plug modules that can be replaced. Your best bet is to have it repaired if a replacement laptop is out of the question. Some of the laptops are very delicate and can't survive gorilla pawing.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/362691-usb-ports-broken-any-alternatives.html
Relevancy 55.04%

both my side usb ports on my HP Pavilion dv5000 laptop are totally broken now. can they be repaired/replaced? are there plug-in adapters (that perhaps go into the expansion port)? i get such conflicting info from repair places about the ability to replace usb's that i dont know what to believe. (you'd think compmuter Co's would made sturdy/replaceable usb's in today's age)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/all-usb-ports-on-my-laptop-are-broken.674728/
Relevancy 55.04%

I have a Toshiba Laptop that has had broken USB ports since I purchased it refurb no returns screw it I actually dropped the bad boy a few days ago and wound up making the little hard drive chirp like a birdie needless to say a quick trip to Staples rectified that Now here s the issue question if you re still reading Due to no USB ports working and realistically I give up Is it possible and what s the best method for connecting a keyboard and mouse if I were to connect to a TV via HDMI Is there a Wi-Fi USB hub that my laptop can pair with via WiFi and use USB ports from that device If so is this viable I ve seen a few on the web but not sure how they work - has anyone had experience and or working knowledge Is there any other work around for using USB devices on a PC with broken USB ports Or I Wi-Fi Hub? USB Broken/Non-Working USB -- ports know HP has made a WiFi mouse with mediocre ratings is there a WiFi keyboard Thanks folks nbsp

A:Broken/Non-Working USB ports -- Wi-Fi USB Hub?

what windows version are you running ?
whats the exact model of the laptop - does it have an express card slot at all ?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/broken-non-working-usb-ports-wi-fi-usb-hub.1124643/
Relevancy 54.61%

Hey guys,

both my front USB ports on my xbox 360 have broken - as in the little black bits that are inside the actual usb port have come off and i have no idea how to fix it. any suggestions on how to fix it or places to send it to, let me know!

*this prevents me form using my turtle beaches and charging my controllers

thanks a lot!

Relevancy 54.61%

Ok the ps ports on this motherboard dont work USB support is disabled in bios The motherboard is quot MSNV- quot So basically I cant use any keyboard solutions ports xp? to ps2 broken, install or ps2 ports broken, solutions to install xp? mouse until an operating system is installed I m trying to install xp right now I m attempting an unattended installation but I have low hopes for that I m wondering if there is a boot disk that loads usb keyboard drivers and I can just start xp setup from there Also the main reason I have not gotten xp to install is becuase the disc always says press a key to load from CD So If there is a way to install xp without that or at least get past that to the point xp loads its own usb driver that would be fine I am also looking into a PCI ps card Would that allow me the use of a regular keyboard Here is the one I was looking at http www amamax com syscous xand html And any other ideas would be greatly appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 54.18%

Hey Usually I can find an answer to my problems by looking through forums This is the first wierd. ports VERY Card? Broken Graphics on time I have had to use them SORRY for the Broken ports on Graphics Card? VERY wierd. long post Its complicated Here is an introduction to my obscure pc About a year ago my power supply blew up and I couldn t afford a new one Broken ports on Graphics Card? VERY wierd. so I used two old ones I had wasn t enough power and wired them together and got my computer working I just have to press two switches to turn it on Yes I know and I m getting a new psu in two weeks Recently My screen wouldn t turn on when I turned on the psus after months at Broken ports on Graphics Card? VERY wierd. least of no problems but a few restarts fixed it Here is my problem I was playing oblivion with several like user-made mods All worked fine occasionally my pc would crash after half and hour to an hour of playing with a quick glimpse of a blue screen with white writing could have been bsod not too sure But I figured its my cpu or ram getting overloaded cos I am using high res texture packs A few days ago I went into a shop that I hadn t entered before and the screen got the purple textures and blocky trash everywhere im used to seeing it and the screen went completely red and then black I could still walk around and hear me interacting with stuff So i restarted and the screen wouldn t show anything Eventually I heard the windows startup sound and the graphics card was hot like it was still working Eventually just for fun I switched the monitor cord to the other DVI port It worked Now here s the funny part I decided to try and break it again So I loaded oblivion and went into the same save game and the same thing happened Now I can t get a picture at all I am borrowing someone elses gfx card at the moment I have tried everything Even a seperate power supply for the card BUT the card still gets hot and the pc still starts windows as if its working fine It appears to me like it is the DVI ports on the card that got broken who knows how software can do that I still havn t tried the extra tv-out port cos I don t have a tv with component-in to use Help I have tried everything I can think of EXCEPT putting my card in someone else s pc even took apart the card and cleaned the dust out I just don t have a spare pc with pci-e right now til next week sometime It has me totally stumped which is a first I have faith in you Thanks EDIT I tried putting my gfx card in my second pci slot while using the borrowed one in the first to see if I could diagnose the problem that way I went into device manager and it said quot Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems Code quot Problems How specific I don t know what rd party tools to use and the ones I have tried don t see it dxdiag doesn t see it either This is a massive post sorry again PC Specs AMD Athlon Ghz GB Ram GeForce GTS mb nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/broken-ports-on-graphics-card-very-wierd.901726/
Relevancy 53.32%

I've had my Inspiron all-in-one for less than a year.  Both USB ports have broken where the blue plastic piece has come out.  The first one fried my external harddrive and I lost thousands of pictures.  
I've been told this isn't under warranty as it was an accidental mishap that I caused.  Clearly, since both have broken, it's some sort of hardware issue.  
Has anyone else had this happen?  I'm told my only option is to pay $265 for replace it.  Are there any other options?  External USB drive?  I can't get anyone to talk to me other than saying I owe $265.  

A:Inspiron 24 5000 Series - BOTH USB ports have broken pieces

Hi,Dell All In One 24 5000 series does not have any have any known issues with the USB slots. If the blue plastic inside the USB port is broken it is not covered under regular hardware warranty of Dell. 

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19996268
Relevancy 45.15%

I have a PC with an asus P X D-E motherboard and an i processor It had not booted for a long time and I put it in storage Yesterday I decided I was going to get it going again I bought a new w psu because I suspected that that was what was wrong with it I replaced that and it still didn t work I replaced the cr bios battery and still no boot I hit issues again... broken, fixed it, broken Boot Broken, the clr cmos button and and booted and I got some life After setting some of the settings in the bios correctly and booting a few more times Broken, broken, fixed it, broken again... Boot issues it was working fine I upgraded to Windows Broken, broken, fixed it, broken again... Boot issues over night shut it down in the morning and went to work Upon returning from work it won t boot it has been off the whole day I have replaced the bios battery again and gone through yesterday s fixes with no luck What am I missing nbsp

A:Broken, broken, fixed it, broken again... Boot issues

if u look thru the reviews u will see that motherboard is plagued with issues http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131641
i myself have had the misfortune of "trying" to work with x58 boards and have given up on a few!!!! not sure if x58 chipset was a problem but whenever i see a computer with it.... i run the other way!!!!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/broken-broken-fixed-it-broken-again-boot-issues.1171442/
Relevancy 42.57%

Log Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform IE6 broken, Norton broken other broken, programs Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Ahead InCD InCDsrv exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccSetMgr exe C Program IE6 broken, Norton broken, other programs broken Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccEvtMgr exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files Common Files LogiShrd LVMVFM LVPrcSrv exe C Program Files Stanford PC-Leland krbcc s exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe C IE6 broken, Norton broken, other programs broken PROGRA SYMNET SNDMon exe IE6 broken, Norton broken, other programs broken C Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support bin AppleMobileDeviceService exe C Program Files Symantec LiveUpdate ALUSchedulerSvc exe C Program Files Logitech SetPoint SetPoint exe C Program Files YPOPs YPOPs exe C Program Files BigFix Enterprise BES Client BESClient exe C Program Files Symantec AntiVirus DefWatch exe C Program Files ewido anti-malware ewidoctrl exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Common Files LogiShrd LVCOMSER LVComSer exe C Program Files Common Files Logitech KHAL KHALMNPR EXE C PROGRA NORTON NORTON NPROTECT EXE C PROGRA NORTON NORTON SPEEDD NOPDB EXE C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Symantec AntiVirus Rtvscan exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared CCPD-LC symlcsvc exe C Program Files OpenAFS Client Program afsd service exe C Program Files Common Files LogiShrd LVCOMSER LVComSer exe C WINDOWS system taskmgr exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Symantec AntiVirus VPC exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C Program Files Microsoft Office OFFICE OUTLOOK EXE C Program Files Microsoft Office OFFICE WINWORD EXE C Documents and Settings Steve Sha My Documents Downloads HJT HijackThis exe R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http ie redirect hp com svs rdr TY lion amp pf laptop R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www comcast net R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Connection Wizard ShellNext http ie redirect hp com svs rdr TY lion amp pf laptop O - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO no name - - F - D - - D F - C PROGRA SPYBOT SDHelper dll O - BHO no name - E D - A- EC-A -BA D E E - no file O - BHO Google Toolbar Helper - AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - no file O - BHO Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - AF DE - D - -B FA-CE B AD D - C Program Files Google GoogleToolbarNotifier swg dll O - Toolbar amp Google - C B - - d - B - A CD F - c program files google googletoolbar dll O - HKLM Run SynTPLpr C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPLpr exe O - HKLM Run SynTPEnh C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe O - HKLM Run MSPY C WINDOWS system IME PINTLGNT ImScInst exe SYNC O - HKLM Run PHIME ASync C WINDOWS system IME TINTLGNT TINTSETP EXE SYNC O - HKLM Run PHIME A C WINDOWS system IME TINTLGNT TINTSETP EXE IMEName O - HKLM Run ccApp quot C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe quot O - HKLM Run Symantec NetDriver Monitor C PROGRA SYMNET SNDMon exe Enterprise O - HKLM Run QuickTime Task quot C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe quot -atboottime O - HKLM Run LogitechCommunicationsManager quot C Program Files Common Files LogiShrd LComMgr Communications Helper exe quot O - HKLM Run vptray C PROGRA SYMANT VPTray exe O - HKLM Run iTunesHelper quot C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe quot O - HKCU Run ctfmon exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe O - HKCU Run swg C Program Files Google GoogleToolbarNotifier GoogleToolbarNotifier exe O - Startup YPOPs lnk O - Global Startup Adobe Reader Speed Launch lnk C Program Files Adob... Read more

A:IE6 broken, Norton broken, other programs broken

Hi again,

I think I may have semi-repaired the problem. I re-installed Norton, and now it is no longer broken I think--the system tray icon is there and auto-protect works. No viruses were detected however. IEXPLORER.exe no longer runs with start-up, and it no longer re-appears as well, BUT internet explorer STILL does not work. Basically, I open it, the browser window opens, it tries to load, but then it just simply stops trying to load and effectively freezes. I have to close it through the task manager. No error message pops up, it's just a blank browser window.

I just tried installing IE7 to perhaps fix the problem, but IE7 would not install all the way so it's still broken. Here's an updated HJT log; thank you!

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 3:47:18 PM, on 9/29/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCDsrv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\LogiShrd\LVMVFM\LVPrcSrv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\VPTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPoint\SetPoint.exe
C:\Program Files\YPOPs\YPOPs.exe
C:\Program Files\BigFix Enterprise\BES Client\BESClient.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\LogiShrd\LVCOMSER\LVComSer.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\KHAL\KHALMNPR.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~2\NORTON~1\NPROTECT.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~2\NORTON~1\SPEEDD~1\NOPDB.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\OpenAFS\Client\Program\afsd_service.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\LogiShrd\LVCOMSER\LVComSer.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\OUTLOOK.EXE
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\WINWORD.EXE
C:\Documents and Settings\Steve Sha\My Documents\Downloads\HJT\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TY...lion&pf=laptop
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.comcast.net/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TY...lion&pf=laptop
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - {AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D} - C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\2.0.301.7164\swg.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar3.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPLpr] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synapt... Read more

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/ie6-broken-norton-broken-other-programs-broken-184723.html
Relevancy 40.42%

Hey all so I have forwarded some ports on my router with Airport Utility NAT port forwarding but using cmd netstat -n the ports I forwarded aren't listed and using online port checkers confirms they are closed I added exceptions to my firewall even though it is off and windows defender is off and Avast's shields are all off I honestly have no idea how to open the ports up and haven't found a way to do this using Windows not pro Anybody have any ideas It seems like Windows is blocking these ports from opening for some reason There doesn't seem to be an override function in cmd to open them either In case forwarded disabled? router Ports firewalls closed; ports, you're wondering why I need the ports open I'm trying to resolve a quot request timeout quot error when pinging somebody on Hamachi - so I'm trying to open the main ports Hamachi uses I just want to play Terraria man Any Ports closed; router forwarded ports, firewalls disabled? help would be greatly appreciated

A:Ports closed; router forwarded ports, firewalls disabled?

Temporarily add your PC IP into the DMZ and try again , see if the internal/external tests then notice the ports open , this will test if it's a router or PC issue....

Don't forget to take it out of the DMZ after testing...

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/32603-ports-closed-router-forwarded-ports-firewalls-disabled.html
Relevancy 39.99%

hello,

my situation:

I have a Compaq V6000 notebook. Several months ago it started to only charge when I placed the power cord in the right position. It keeps getting harder to find the right position. I was told that I might have a broken power socket or broken solder connection from the socket to the mobo. So I opened it up. The power socket looks normal to me, but then again, this is the first one I have ever seen.

My question:

what should I be looking for on the power board? What would I be able to notice if the solder connection was broken? and where should I look?

&

What would indicate that it is a broken power socket?

J

Relevancy 39.99%

This is a brand new custom built PC for web browsing for a motel lobby.

Win7 Home Premium
AMD A4-3300 Llano
MSI A55M-P33 FM1
Rosewill FBM-02 MicroATX Mini Tower

Running latest BIOS and latest drivers downloaded directly from manufacturer's website.

I tried switching between all 3 internal headers and none of them would detect the flash drive.

If I plug the drive in the rear ports it detects right away leading me to suspect the case's ports might be defective but I don't have another USB 2.0 card lying around to confirm.

Based on this info does it seem likely that the front ports themselves are faulty?

A:Front USB ports not working, but rear USB ports work…

You might check to see if the case end of the USB cables are properly plugged into the front panel holding the headers. Some board need more than one brand of USB drivers, Renesas, NEC, etc.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/298221-front-usb-ports-not-working-but-rear-usb-ports-work.html
Relevancy 39.99%

My modem-router is in bridged mode (everything is disabled except internet), i have disabled windows firewall i have taken my firewall offline (until this issue is resolved) but still no one can access my server (they can't even join a game if i create a server)

if i go to port checker it says connection refused on all ports except port 80? how do i force open the ports?

i called my ISP and they say they should be open and there not blocking any ports.

I have a static ip address, 24Mbit up 2.5Mbit down.

when i run my filesharing program (for sharing files between my and my clients) and they try to download a file from me it says it will take (99years, 99days, 99 hours) now i don't really have that long to wait

edit: and yes my network properties are configured manually (and not on auto detect) i have no problem accessing the internet myself

A:Opening ports, i have the firewall disabled but ports are still blocked

It would be better to open the ports in the running firewall than to turn it off. Firewalls load drivers, running or not. Many firewalls block everything by default when they are turned off so that the machine is protected during boot.

You may need to uninstall some firewalls to get them to open all ports.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/opening-ports-i-have-the-firewall-disabled-but-ports-are-still-blocked.788249/
Relevancy 39.56%

The left hinge and the plastic began to separate from eachother, and now its so bad that the fan has apparantly stopped working. Will HP fix this problem? If not, I will definitely be looking at a mac or something that wont break just from average use of a laptop.

A:hp envy touchsmart 15 broken hinge/broken fan

@oliverfleek

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/hp-envy-touchsmart-15-broken-hinge-broken-fan/td-p/5613786
Relevancy 39.56%

I have a win machine here that is getting worse and worse Now it is off the web permanently I can't connect at all It was intermittent and then progressively worse and now totally off It is supposed to be connecting via wifi whatever that means The third wifi dongle I've put in since I've been Broken and Management Wifi Power Broken. hassling with it It claims it cannot see any available networks A machine one metre away also running win sees four or five The machine is on an Asus H pro gamer board with an i cpu Here are some of the rough notes I eventually started jotting down as the thing went on in no particular order but just as they came to me You can see I finally got exasperated enough to start doing it when the machine started not even waking up Machine doesn't wake up after it has gone to sleep from inactivity - or machine starts the onboard fan but there's no video signal Plug a different monitor in and it too reports no signal So it is the board How to shut down the board in such a case with a keypress Wifi Broken and Power Management Broken. or two I have to hold the start button down for a long time When it reports it cannot see any networks I can find no way to compell it to search for networks Reported 'wifi not a valid IP configuraton' - what on earth does that signify Reported possible problem with windows adapter or access point or network cable There is no cable it's wifi the 'adapters' - wifi dongles - have been changed and proven to work in other machines The square box at bottom right which is sometimes there and sometimes not allows access to 'network settings' and they report wifi is switched off I switch it on again and sometimes that's okay and other times it won't - will not - switch on It reports 'on' - i e the slider moves over and it changes colour - but the square box still reports 'off' and there's no connection Like half the machine doesn't know what the other half is doing Sometimes - a few times - it will suddenly ask for the network key for my Telstra connection where it has it and it should be and usually is connecting automatically Network settings can sit on the screen there refusing to respond Opens at the VPN page for some reason The wifi and the aero squares come and go I don't know why Internet connection detecting problems takes forever - minutes obviously something wrong with it Switching off - via software - sometimes most recently has only switched off the monitor the computer fan just keeps going the board is obviously still alive Hangs forever on 'windows settings' I can click 'network settings' from that square in the bottom right and I get a big blue window with a cogwheel in it that allows me to do nothing at all wifi now disabled I cannot enable it What can I do about this mess anyone know got any ideas This should be the best machine in our house It is the worst I have an old D GTP board running win better than this Is it the board or just win somehow It is a new setup and I've installed a few things but not much Open Office would be the biggest I've run Malwarebytes Ccleaner rkill jrt spybot and adwcleaner all to no effect

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/67011-wifi-broken-power-management-broken.html
Relevancy 39.13%

Installed and Not Ports/Headphone Functioning Ports USB Mic Jack used an uninstaller to clean out some old files and apparently removed some important dlls Some programs were affected by the removal of the dlls including MS Office and internet browsers USB Ports/Headphone Mic Jack Ports Not Functioning and I noticed some strange things on the home network on other PCs Some pages weren t loading flash portions USB Ports/Headphone Mic Jack Ports Not Functioning of internet pages I suspect that the router drivers were somehow compromised but that problem seems to be under control for now I reinstalled flash player and shockwave and I am mostly confident that the browser problems are resolved Ran the repair utility on the XP installation disk on the affected machine and for the most part the original problems seem to have disappeared MS Office functionality has returned with the flash reinstall and with the XP reinstall I have reinstalled some drivers including the graphics and monitor drivers so graphics are good However a whole new crop of problems have appeared since the repair installation The affected computer is an HP DC small form factor with USB ports on the back and on the front Additionally there are also a microphone jack and a headphone jack on the front The USB ports and the mic and headphone jack on the front both have lost functionality I use the usb ports frequently with cameras and other small utilities and the mic and headphone jack for voice to text Pretty important to me to restore functionality of the devices This is the worst of the problems for now but I have been experiencing occasional problems with programs Reinstalls have fixed the problem each time so far I searched out the HP site for the HP drivers for the DC machine to reinstall those but I am confused Which of the drivers should I install for the USB ports There are a number of them listed there Here is the link to the drivers page http h www hp com bizsupport TechSupport SoftwareIndex jsp lang en amp cc us amp prodNameId amp prodTypeId amp prodSeriesId amp swLang amp taskId amp swEnvOID Should I expect a reinstall of the factory PC drivers to restore functionality to missing hardware with this PC Thanks nbsp

A:USB Ports/Headphone Mic Jack Ports Not Functioning

If you go into device manager, do you see anything with a yellow ! or ? beside it?
Vicks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/usb-ports-headphone-mic-jack-ports-not-functioning.1047850/
Relevancy 39.13%

Hi all,
Well, I was on Vista but it's unstable and slolw and my PC for the moment so I uninstalled it and put my XP home sp2 oem, I plugged my Extern HDD onto one of my 4 USB ports, it says that this device can perform better on a speeder USB 2.0 port but all of my ports are USB 2.0, they all say that, whatever device is.
It's very slow and seeing videos is annoying, I can't, I really need help.
Thanks for your answers.

A:Solved: USB 2.0 ports turned into USB slow ports

What was the solution?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-usb-2-0-ports-turned-into-usb-slow-ports.633770/
Relevancy 37.84%

A few days ago I installed a USB card to be precise this one -Port USB SuperSpeed PCI-E Controller Card - Free as USB ports 3.0 to USB refuse ports work 3.0 Shipping USB 3.0 ports refuse to work as USB 3.0 ports - DealExtreme It uses the very common NEC PD USB controller I installed the required drivers for Windows and the card worked fine for the first day or so but not since Whenever I plug in a USB external hard drive I get a false quot This device can perform faster quot message as if I had plugged the drive in a USB port The external drive I am using is a Western Digital MyBook Essential It is definitely a USB drive and came with the required USB cable While the USB card was working I got full-speed transfers to the limit of the hard drive's ability about - MB s Now I can only get USB speeds - MB s Windows insists I have the drive plugged into a USB port even though it is plugged directly into the USB card Things I tried so far -rebooting and complete power cycle No difference -plugging the drive into one port or the other Also no difference -Looked in Device manager No help there either The controller is recognized as a USB device is using the proper NEC drivers Other info that may be important -No overclocking settings in use -I made sure the cable was plugged in all the way It's in as far as it can go but the ports will still only act like USB ports This is very frustrating How do I fix it I might as well throw the card away if it is only going to act as a USB device

A:USB 3.0 ports refuse to work as USB 3.0 ports

Go to device manager and go the props of those usb ports.
Click uninstall, now they will disappear.
Now install your drivers again, which came with the card
Reboot.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/179943-usb-3-0-ports-refuse-work-usb-3-0-ports.html
Relevancy 37.84%

Hey guys, brand new kid here. Fairly computer literate but not a whiz by any means. I had to do a Windows XP System Recovery on my HP desktop PC a few weeks ago and since then my USB 2.0 ports haven't been themselves.

Before when I used my Kingston 4gb SDHC card in my front USB 2.0 ports (as they're labeled) it worked at full speed with no problems. After the System Recovery, when I plug in the card it gives me a message saying "This device could perform faster if it were plugged into a High Speed USB 2.0 Port." The problem is, my Device Manager lists a high speed port and hub on my computer, but I get the same message on all the ports on my computer. I tried updating the drivers and uninstalling and reinstalling them but to no avail.

Is there any way to fix this?

Relevancy 37.84%

Hi My daughter has a lot of Barbie CD-ROM games There is one game she has that is rather old yet it is really one of her favorites Barbie s Magic Genie Bottle This game came with a life-sized magic genie bottle that acted as a ports/USB ports? for an game there adapter Is joy-stick It has a motion sensor Is there an adapter for game ports/USB ports? jewel on the front that you move your hand in front of and the top comes off Each of these things perfomed a function in the game I m sure you can imagine the appeal to an -year-old little girl Now the problem is I ve gotten a hmmm complete system overhaul I guess you could say A new larger hard-drive new processor and new motherboard The OLD system had a gameport on the back of the computer The new one doesn t It only has USB ports Please SOMEBODY tell me that there is some sort of adapter or someway I can make this Genie Bottle work with this system If any of you have never lived in a house with Is there an adapter for game ports/USB ports? an -year-old Barbie-obsessed little girl you have no idea of the drama and histrionics that are occuring here Is there any way I can make a Magic Genie Bottle with a gameport plug work with a tower that now only has USB ports Somebody please save me nbsp

A:Is there an adapter for game ports/USB ports?

You could try one of these, never heard much about them so
http://www.radioshack.com/product.a...og_name=CTLG&category_name=&product_id=26-164

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/is-there-an-adapter-for-game-ports-usb-ports.215737/
Relevancy 37.84%

I have a problem with my front usb ports/audio ports, a couple days ago I replaced my radiator and unplugged the cord for the front usb ports but it went back in fine and ever since then I would have my headphones plugged in but whenever I took out something from the usb port the headphone/audio stopped working, could there be something wrong with the way I plugged it back in?

Thanks.

A:Problem with usb ports/audio ports

Maybe a hardware problem,check it from u'r computer manufacturer !

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/36309-problem-usb-ports-audio-ports.html
Relevancy 37.41%

Vista Ultimate -bit ASUS Rampage Formula motherboard USB mouse and keyboard connected in back ports Two things Back ports working, partially ethernet) working front ports stopped (USB, happened Avira antivirus warned me of some threats which I either ignored or deleted Windows Update Back ports (USB, ethernet) stopped working, front ports partially working had some updates ready although I m not sure if it updated I turned off my PC for a couple of hours turned it back on and realized that my USB keyboard was not working on the password screen I eventually unplugged it from the back and plugged it into the front where it worked However my USB mouse did not work when plugged into the second front port nor did it work when plugged into the front port in which the keyboard worked I accessed System Restore using my keyboard and restored to one day previously When it finished both keyboard and mouse worked although I got a pop-up message alerting me that the quot drivers for your device could not be installed quot When I clicked quot OK quot the mouse stopped working again I have checked BIOS and both mouse and keyboard are recognized so it does not appear to be a hardware issue nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/back-ports-usb-ethernet-stopped-working-front-ports-partially-working.950262/
Relevancy 35.26%

Hey everyone could anybody explain what ports are all about, like for example COM PORTS, LISTENING PORTS all that.
Is it more of a software thing for programs to communicate with eachother?

Im sure most of ye know what im on about

Thanx!!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/com-ports-listening-ports.106315/
Relevancy 35.26%

My ASUS p5wd2 premium board has all 2.0 Hi-speed USB ports but when
I installed an external USB 2.0 ALURATEK 500GB HD it tells me I will get better
performance if I connect it to a HI -speed port.
Anyone have any ideas as to why this would happen. Transfer rates are around 980KB/sec
which is painfully slow.
TKS Robert

Relevancy 34.4%

Hello.

I am trying to get DSL or some other form of broadband. One thing that is bothering me is security because I leave my machine on all the time. Thus I wish to use the Windows 2000 Port Resticting App and/or/in conjunction with Tiny Personal Firewall.

So the question is where can I find a listing of some sort that tells me what type(s) and number port(s) PC games use? Also if avalible LINUX games?

Thank you.

A:How do I find Ports that Games Use- Ports That PC Games Use - Listings - Help

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-do-i-find-ports-that-games-use-ports-that-pc-games-use-listings-help.96648/
Relevancy 28.38%

My laptop was running slow so I tried the new 'refresh' option, wrong decision. Windows 8 loaded it and finished it, when it restarted the blue windows logo showed and said please wait for about 5 seconds and then the screen goes black but I can move the mouse around. I desperately need help with this because I'm going on holiday in 2 days and I need to sort out the booking and that.

A:Win 8 BROKEN! NEED HELP

I had the same issue. Could not resolve. My thinking is the RTM preview cannot be refreshed.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/10339-win-8-broken-need-help.html
Relevancy 28.38%

When i switch my PC on the screen has 6 red llines over the loading screens then it all goes into little small lines all over the screen and when it gets to loading windows the blue bar which goes from side to side stops and the whole thing freezes.Do i need the windows disc to fix or how can i fix it

A:Broken Pc Need Help

Well the lines indicate a problem with either the monitor or the video card. The lockup leans more toward somethign inteh PC rather then monitor though.

Do you have another monitor to try ont he computer?

I'd also check the monitor cable and try reseating the video card in the computer. Just pull it out of the slot and then push it back in to make sure there's good contact.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/broken-pc-need-help.498351/
Relevancy 28.38%

Some info before i begin EDIT I read the terms of posting and theres more than one prob here as i believe they re all linked OS Win Xp sp totally fresh reinstall with no malware virus adware etc scanned with several programs Right as mentioned above Xp? Broken i reinstalled XP onto the same Broken Xp? HDD totally wiped beforehand and since then ive had a few Broken Xp? probs one of which was to do with networking Broken Xp? and it wouldnt let me view my connections but thats fixed The problems outstanding are - An error saying something along the lines of quot Generic host proccess win quot when i startup and then it says this program has to close error report note i did see this on this forum and installed something off the MS knowledge DB but this didnt work - sometimes out of the blue my start bar will go from Royale theme to classic windows god knows why like i said no malware or anything also while on the topic of start bar the language bar keeps coming back no matter how many times i click disable in the quot toolbars quot menu - Windows update Gets to IE does the scanning animation green bar and doesnt advance any further Auto updates are on- im using sound built onto my mobo and used the mobo disc to install the drivers Realtek ac and have installed it fine I can play sounds play games great but then it decides it doesnt wanna play sounds afterall and when i try to play media it says something about not having a sound device or when i click the volume icon in systray it says something about i cannot use the mixer as i have no sound devices quot This is SOMETIMES after the generic host error sometimes it just ends but the weirdest thing is THE MESSAGEBOX ALERTS HAVE SOUND so it IS reading the soundcard you can see why im getting confused here SOLVEDSorry about all the problems im normally really good with computers but this one has me stuck you dont have to tell me how to fix all the problems just one or two would be good enough if you need anything else such as hijackthis logs etc just say Thanks- Rich

A:Broken Xp?

Im just taking a shot in the dark here, but it sounds like a bad hard drive.

But then, I have no idea what I am talking about.

Is this a burned copy of XP?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/88256/broken-xp/
Relevancy 28.38%

Im running windows xp pro and i am having trouble installing large files (i have failed to install anything over 20mb) Generaly i get some sort of error like "The files do not match the .cab"

software i have tried to install

photoshop
unreal tournament 2k4
ultima online
half life 2

I have replaced the ram, hard drive, video card so far for unrelated reasons and i finaly have the money to buy a new motherboard / cpu but i would rather have a new lcd. Im trying to determine whether i need to opt for the motherboard/cpu and hold off on the lcd just to get my pc working

*edit* ive also replaced the cdrom drive

any help is appreciated

A:What is broken?

I doubt this is a hardware problem. Grab your XP cd rom and go start> run> sfc /scannow

It could be your XP installation is corrupt. that little program will compare your XP files on the hard drive with ones on the CD, making sure you have the correct versions.

It's always a good idea to run some spyware adware and virus scans. Do that too, and see if that corrects the problem.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/what-is-broken.436436/
Relevancy 28.38%

I have a GeForce6100Pm-M2 motherboard. My installation cd is missing and I have been unable to get another one from ECS. Does anyone have this cd from which I can get a copy?
My hard drive crashed and I am installing a new one and need this cd for installation.

Thanks,

faucon22

A:Broken CD

The ECS support website has all the drivers you need for your motherboard. No CD is needed. Just look up your motherboards model, and go from there

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/broken-cd.128389/
Relevancy 28.38%

I was using my dell inspiron 2330 earlier when it said it needed to reboot when it did this it started scanning and repairing drive c it did this 10 times when i managed to get into bios it gave me error code 2000-0142 i managed to log in but now my screen kept flashing then said hard drive error
please help i dont know what to do i don't want to lose pics etc but im stuck think if i could get into last time it worked properly i could rescue it or my pics at least iv tried f8 it just keeps taking me bk to scanning and repairing drive c

A:is my pc broken

Hey mate,

try a system refresh: Refresh Windows 8 - you'll need the media that you use to install windows with. It will keep your pics and restore everything back to normal. If you can't do it, let me know and we can try other things.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/60600-my-pc-broken.html
Relevancy 28.38%

Im not sure if this is the best place for this message but i hope i can get some help on it PC Broken. Basically i was playing a game in a beta and it was very graphically demanding so i had to keep restarting the game multiple times to PC Broken. get a graphic setup that would allow for smooth gameplay eventually got it working but with a controller plugged in the game seemed to crash On the one time i tried running the game and the game froze up PC Broken. and i got loads of red shapes all over my screen going across the whole thing all identical shapes So i alt F 'ed the PC Broken. game and closed it down and the PC went back to normal so i relaunched the game got past the part where it originally crashed an continued to play for about more minutes before it crashed again doing the same thing the little red shapes all over the screen except this time i wasnt able to alt F out of the game so i hit the reset button As my computer loaded again i had a whole bunch of white dot all over the screen and as it progressed to the windows logo screen there was red lines running down sections of the screen Once that was done it blue screened very quickly an then restarted the process this time asking if i want to use start up repair I tried using the repair it didnt work let it run through a second time an it asked if i wanted to use a system restore that didnt work didnt let it run another time Hopefully this is enough information that someone can just tell me the problem My guess is my graphics card has blown it as it was atleast a or year old GTX Hope to hear from someone soon either with questions or answers Thanks

A:PC Broken.

I see you either upgraded to Windows7 or "borrowed" the graphics card from an old computer. It's a good idea to use the manufacturers temperature test when you're an extreme gamer. My guess is a hot day and a hot card equaled a cooked card.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/pc-broken-507945.html
Relevancy 28.38%

So my cousin has Windows XP, and his computer won't start.... Quoting from the machine,
"Technical information:
*** STOP: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x86F5E268, OxC0000102, 0x00000000)" Will not start in Safe Modes, nor will using the last known good configuration.

Relevancy 28.38%

I was playing Minecraft and accidentally spawned 800 Creepers which lagged the System, I waited and forgot to press Ctrl-alt-delete to end, and then did it.

I then get really slow 30kb/s data transfer speeds and really noisy fan..

I have turned it off and plan to keep if off for a few hours.

What should I do?

A:Is anything broken?

Turn it back on. Usually a reboot will settle things down.

All you really have to do is keep an eye on that fan.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/204474-anything-broken.html
Relevancy 28.38%

Okay, i just literally installed new ram a few minutes ago. To be specific, it was PNY brand, it was a 1 Gig-kit so it came in two 512MB ram ddr2. Anyways, i was reading the instructions and i was confused because they didnt specify, but on the packaging, it says easy to install--just remove the covers and snap it in-- or something to that degree, anyways, it had these metal covers on it, i thought they were heat sinks or whatever but following the package, it says to remove cover so i go ahead and do that. The first one took a while to get off but it came out fine. The 2nd stick of ram, i was removing the cover but the adhesive tape pulled off the black chips on the stick and now it wont run. Was i supposed to rip off the metal covers in the first place? what should i do? =(

Relevancy 28.38%

My Computer seems broken. It startup takes a long time, it freezes, programs won't start, can't install or replace files properly, Can't delete things, problem connecting to the internet, 100% Cpu usage, and much more. I think this is because of the wrong system files, boot files, NTLDR, NTDECTECT.COM, SYSVOLUME INFO, AUTOEXEC.BAT, MSDOS.SYS, CONFIG, IO, CONFIG, etc. I couldn't do system restore because the boot files were gone so I had to replace them. How do I fix this problem?

A:Broken Xp

sfc /scannow Would be the preferred method

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/140354/broken-xp/
Relevancy 28.38%

I posted a message here several days ago about a loud alarm sound coming from my computer and I found out that it s because my fan isn t working and my computer is overheating I disabled the alarm fairly easily from the BIOS -- but fan Broken the fan still isn t working I tried uncolgging the dust in it by using a can of compressed air When that didn t work I took apart the computer and looked at the fan I couldn t see anything wrong with it There s no more dust in it and the wires appear to be connected just fine and there s no reason they wouldn t be since I hadn t even taken apart this computer before Although I solved the problem of the alarm the computer is probably still overheating and I m worried that the overheating is damaging it I can t even turn it off during the day because I don t have an answering machine so I need Broken fan to leave the phone tools program on whenever I m gone but the good news is that I know from when the alarm was going off that it doesn t usually overheat while I m not using it It s no longer under warranty and the company that made it is Broken fan no longer in business but the computer is less than years old I can t take it to a store to get it fixed because I m a college student and I don t have a car I am afraid to try getting a new fan and trying to put it in because I don t know much about hardware and I m afraid I ll really ruin the computer if I try something like that Does anyone have any suggestions on anything else I can try Also what kinds of problems will happen from the computer overheating Please help nbsp

A:Broken fan

Which fan is not working, power supply or processor, in either case you should replace the fan. Processor fans are replaceable but depending on what type they can be a pain.
Power supply fans also can be replaced with a little work.
A fan in general will cost around $20 dollars. You can try leaving the case open and pointing a small desk type fan into it but it would be best to replace the malfunctioning fan. Fans are mechanical units, they do just go bad, usually the bearings seize up and the fans will no longer rotate.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/broken-fan.39717/
Relevancy 28.38%

So today I got another pc case in the mail. It's the one in the 1st photo below.
And I moved everything from my old pc case to this one and it was all fine untill I got to the wiring.
Everything went fine then I got the all the USB,HD Audio, power, restart.
On the old pc it was one plug. In this one there were like 5 different ones and I didn't had a clue where to put them.
There is no where for them I go but where the first whole one was.
I messed around with it all.
No luck then I was just messing round with the power one nothing happens in any but one of them.
I pressed the switch it turned on then off again. Just this once . After that it didn't do it again.
It will not do anything now
Did I like fry it.
What's wrong with it

A:Have I Broken My Pc (PLEASE HELP)

I forgot.
If you have any replys please email them to me if you can.
Cause this app doesn't notify me.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/251040-have-i-broken-my-pc-please-help.html
Relevancy 28.38%

My master cd has a crack near the center, and I really need the data that is on the CD. Anyone think I would be able to glue another CD on top of it and make it work? Would it still fit in my CD rom drive? Of course, I would have to fix the crack so it reflected right, but that is possible I think. Anyone?

A:Broken CD?

Two cd's should fit in the drive I did it once on accident. Dont ask How

But it still might not read the info. Try calling the manufacturer to see if they can ship you out a new one.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/broken-cd.33390/
Relevancy 28.38%

So, I was playing rocket league yesterday, after I quit my w key stopped working (I can type w atm because I have it on my clipboard). Now whenever I press w it mutes my computers sound for about 1 second and then unmutes it... There must be some keybinding or something set to it, but I'm not sure how to unset it or just make it a w key again. I have tried keymapping software to no avail. Any help is greatly appreciated.

A:w key is broken

Are you using a laptop or a pc? Check for any loose connections, clean out the keys and try a usb keyboard.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/w-key-broken-277520/
Relevancy 28.38%

I was just in the Kitchen 5 Minutes ago. Making a Cigarette. I'm their with the Computer monitor switch off and a Web Page Loaded but minimized. All the Computers are processing SETI and my Windows terminal was sitting Idle. The DVD RW Drawer opened and closed twice very quickly. then after doing a reboot I'm asked to download a new version of Adobe Flash.

I'm seriously freaking out and have looked at the Log Files but can't find anything specific and I'm not sure were I'm looking.

A:Has someone just broken in too my PC?

Chances are it's a minor bit of malware. Do all the usual scans etc. before jumping to conclusions :P

http://www.techist.com/forums/f155/has-someone-just-broken-too-my-pc-276195/
Relevancy 28.38%
Q: Broken

Good Evening everyone nbsp I would like to request help with a problem I have had My laptop has been rendered unfunctionable due to water damage Although this may seem to be a self-explanatory issue it actually worked after drying and airing it out albeit periodically When I was using it after everything appeared functional except the OS Clock which was adjusted incorrectly The battery however refused to charge so it was slowly draining as I was using it naturally to the point where it ran out and had to turn off Thinking the problem was a battery issue I recently Broken purchased a new one however the laptop still doesn't turn on It also doesn't run when the battery is disconnected Broken although I never knew this was a feature of the laptop anyway nbsp Can someone share some light into my position besides stating the obvious about me paying to get it repaired How was the laptop able to function then and not now Am I to assume the power button malfunctioned and worked on chance nbsp Thanks for your time nbsp Antony

A:Broken

#HPExpertDayLiquid damage is a tricky situation. It might work or not depending on the damage caused by the liquid. I would suggest you call HP and setup a service or take the unit to a authorized service center.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Broken/td-p/5625764
Relevancy 28.38%

hi, today i put in call of duty 4 to have a quick private game with my friend and everything was alright until the end of the game when my playstation suddenley crashed, this HAS happened before but wasn't a disaster so i didnt worry too much but then suddenley everything went green and blue and these spots started coming up on my screen then the whole ps3 crashed. so i restarted it and it happened again (not straight away but after a little while) unfortunately i cant get any images on because they are too big but it's basicly lots of green dots all around and some very very very small numbers, (in like... paragraphs). and this happens all the time now i would REALLY like some help please.

Relevancy 28.38%

Hi guys im having a problem, on start im getting a failure message on my hard dish and later a message like this (link , sorry i know its in swedish"

but it basically says that i should make backups incase it totally collaps..

i can use it like normal, save stuff etc... but the whole pc is a lot slower now...

so what i would ike to know is, can i fix this myself or do i have to send it in?

i still have my 1 year warranty but i have not asked packard bell if this problem is included

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/7002/22632408.jpg

Relevancy 28.38%

Hey
Today, ive been trying to get my old gainward 560 TI to work but I suspect it to be broken somehow. Without any drivers installed i get weird blue lines on the screen in windows and when i actually try to install the driver i get an ?unexpected_kernal_mode_trap?-error in the MIDDLE of the installation process an i have to restart the pc. The gpu worked 100% a few month ago and my other hardware didnt change at all, i just upgraded to win10. Got another radeon gpu which works tho. Is there any hope to fix it ?

http://www.tenforums.com/graphic-cards/45191-560-ti-broken.html
Relevancy 28.38%

Hi First I want to thank Not Fix - It? Don't Broken? everyone here for their attention and help with my system problem s I was struggling with a series of problems - listed here - gt http forums techguy org t amp highlight loss html and eventually resolved most of them by wiping my system reformatting my disk and doing a Not Broken? - Don't Fix It? fresh install However After starting off fresh again I discovered that my CPU information was different Before the quot Not Broken? - Don't Fix It? wipe quot and reinstall my CPU informaton was being reported as AMD Athlon XP MHz Thoroughbred Family Model level Now it is being reported as AMD Athlon XP MHz x Thoroughbred - B BO This same information was also being reported when I first started to work on fixing some of the problems that I was dealing with Then after I made some adjustments don t remember what The CPU information was being reported as shown above MHz etc The computer was built with the CPU and never had a MHz one installed in it Now with a few somewhat minor problems such as my Mouse traveling upwards on it s own and the system running just a little slower than before the system seems to be working okay So Can anyone shed some light on this or suggest what a fellow should do from here - If Anything In any case Thanks to all again amp Happy Holidays Charles Jr nbsp

A:Not Broken? - Don't Fix It?

Go into your BIOS setup and adjust the CPU bus speed from 100Mhz to 166Mhz. That should give you the correct 333Mhz effective FSB that the XP2700+ runs on as well as speeding up the computer.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/not-broken-dont-fix-it.422025/
Relevancy 28.38%

I booted up my PC 2-3 hours ago, and had to wait for quite some time at the W7 logo-loading screen (the one with black bacground). So I had to yesterday, but then it went through the whole loading without any problems.

Today, this came up first:

And then, after one and a half hour or so, it kept spamming the screen like this:

And now, at this very minute, it stopped right here:

What am I supposed to do? It's where I have all my music, photos and graphic designs stored! This is a tragedy! Thanks in advance.

Relevancy 28.38%

Hi guys I ve got - PC Broken help. need a bit of a technical issue here and i was hoping you kind chaps could help me out Basically my sister was playing on my pc and she said it froze and it wouldn t shut down I told her quot Ctrl ALt and Delete quot and if that failed turn it off at the front She said that didn t work so i told her to turn it off at the plug this had happend to me a few times But she never turned it off at the plug she pulled the power cable out the back when it was switched on and then plugged it back in Now when i switch on my pc the monitor reads quot no signal quot It s not making all the usual start up Broken PC - need help. noises either i can hear the fan spinning but it doesn t sound right I haven t had time to take the lid off of it and have a snoop about not that I m especially good with P C anyways but i think something inside has blown - just not sure what Without having a look at it yourself has anyone got any ideas what s wrong with it what s more there likely blown etc I m so pissed off at the moment I m going on holiday on Saturday and cant afford to spunk money on PC bits Thanks in advace James nbsp

Relevancy 28.38%

Hello i got a question. I have civ 4 warlords installed on my puter and when i moved i found the cd for it was cracked in half. Is there a way i can copy the installed files to a cd so i can have one again and so the game sees the cd so i can play? I have windows 7 if it matters any. Thanks in advance

A:broken cd

welcome to TSG.

Unfortunately, none that I know.....we routinely break cd's prior to chucking them if they have data we don't want read anymore.....so I'd have to state that 'no', there really isn't a way of fixing that one.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/broken-cd.1045191/
Relevancy 28.38%

i just built my first computer and was on disc 5 of the farcry installation when the progress bar stopped for over 10 minutes and the cd drive stopped spinning. I closed the installation and after taking the cd out of my NEC DVD-RW2500a it began to make an unhealthy steady clicking noise with or without a cd in it. It makes the noise with or without a cd in it, and reinstalling the drivers does not fix it. The drive will not read any cds. Does anybody know of a way to fix this or do i have to get a new one? Im leaving the drive open for now as to not cause anymore damage.

A:broken dvd rw need help

Sounds like the burner is shot, there are no drivers to install.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/broken-dvd-rw-need-help.264613/
Relevancy 28.38%

Hello

Anyone got any idea how to delete Broken GPO from GPMC ?

Cant just right click and delete

A:Broken GPO's

GPMC comes with a number of sample scripts (written mostly in VBScript but some JScript) that form a toolkit of scripts that administrators can use to directly administer a Group Policy environment or as examples to build more elaborate management tools. The scripts are installed in the %programfiles%\gpmc\scripts directory.

All of the scripts are intended for command line operation. You can execute a script using the following command (using the DeleteGPO script as an example) from a command shell:

Cscript DeleteGPO.wsf

You will need to run the scripts from the %programfiles%\gpmc\scripts directory or by specifying the path to the scripts directory. To see usage details for any script, use the “/?” command line option.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/broken-gpos.505305/
Relevancy 28.38%

i have seen people that can not surf with internet explorer download firefox when they could not surf and then surf with firefox how are these people able to download firefox and other people are not able to download

A:what is broken

Most likely by using the default browser for their ISP.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f56/what-is-broken-78580.html
Relevancy 28.38%

Hello Internet Explorer Analysts PC runs xp sp IE version is IE sp The dsl connection indicator on sp2 is broken IE6 the pc goes out after a few minutes IE does not IE6 sp2 is broken work at all Firefox browser does not work at all Even though the connection indicator is out AOL explorer will come IE6 sp2 is broken up through AOL IM and works with a hardwired USB connection to the SBC dsl modem AOL explorer will not work with hardwired ethernet connection to router which is connected to SBC dsl modem AOL explorer does not allow access to email or sites requiring a password I started with HighjactThis With the help of POADB at the HighjackThis forum the pc was cleaned up POADB suggested I contact the Network analysts and my dsl provider After the winsock and tcp ip resets failed to resolve the problem johnwill at the Network formum suspected that IE was broken After going going through some steps over the phone a tech at SBC confirmed that the problem is the IE browser johnwill referred me to a repair IE link at Microsoft The Microsoft letter was very hard to understand And I can't get past the quot checking for latest updates quot screen at the Microsoft update site Can you tell me how to fix IE sp Thanks Sue

A:IE6 sp2 is broken

Try IEFix

Click the Apply button

You'll be prompted for the Operating System CD or the Service Pack Files location:

If you're using Windows 2000/XP, insert the Operating System CD. For OEM systems, point to the Operating System source path when prompted. If you've applied a Service Pack separately, you need to insert the Slipstreamed Operating System CD (if you have one) or point the installer to the ServicePack source path when prompted (see Fig 2 below). Mention the path as "C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386" or "C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles"

If you don't have the Windows installation CD, and if the installation source files are not present in the hard disk, you may click Cancel. IEFix will continue with DLL registration part.

Restart Windows

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFIX.htm

Also Run the System File Checker

Go to the Run box on the Start Menu and type in:

sfc /scannow ( sfc if not reconized) (Note that there is a space between sfc and /scannow)

This command will immediately initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files and verify their integrity, replacing any files with which it finds a problem.

In all likelihood you will be prompted to insert the Windows XP CD

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f56/ie6-sp2-is-broken-118326.html
Relevancy 28.38%

How can i open my DVD ROM? I have my CD left in there for weeks. My brother and I alternately use the desktop computer. Now, since I have been busy for weeks, I already forgot the CD in there. Then, I tried opening the DVD rom and it has a sound like there's a broken CD inside. Please help me open my DVD Rom thru where I inserted it.

Relevancy 28.38%

So i got some new ram today spare sticks of mb pc i rescued out of pc we were disposing of today I only have DIMM slot free so i only put one stick in my pc Currently I have mb pc sticks or corsair ram installed So I install the new stick and attempt to boot my pc and then the pc locks up during the windows bootscreen I install the other stick of ram and attempt to boot my pc and then the pc locks up during the windows bootscreen Then i remove the new ram and attempt to boot my pc and then the pc locks up during the windows bootscreen So next i attempt load windows with last known broken ram has new pc good configuration with new ram in and new ram out same thing lockup So then i try safe mode Safe mode boots perfectly fine I load system restore I restore a point made last night when i uninstalled a game reboot crash Then i try to restore a system checkpoint from last saturday No deal crash Then i try to restore a system checkpoint from march th Still the same result the system locks up during the windows boot screen Can anyone help me with this issue please My System specs are as follows WinXP Professional Service Pack Build Intel Pentium GHz new ram has broken pc KB Load RAM Used MB mb FX GT XFX P x ALH motherboard

A:new ram has broken pc

welcome

clear the cmos

pop the battery out for 15 minutes after its unplugged

reboot, then reset your bios

good luck

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/new-ram-has-broken-pc-93814.html
Relevancy 28.38%

Hello, I have a Segate baracuda 7200rpm sata 80gb hdd, I was defragmenting all 3 partitions simultaniously when I (in my infinite stupidity) touched a component on the hard drives belly to see if it got too hot, the hard drive made a soft *CLANK* the system stopped responding and I had to reset the computer, after the reset the PC locked in the hdd detecting phaze, I turned it off completly I turned it back on and it works, I found no bad sectors (thou I'm not sure about the system partition because I didn't get to see the report) and I want to know if there is any risk that my HDD is in any way broken and how can I check, it appears to work normally with the exception that it seams a little slower than before.. or it's just my paranoia.

A:Is my HDD broken?

Download the diagnostic utility from Seagate and run it.

Before touching stuff inside the computer, always touch the computer case to "ground" yourself. Touch only the top of chips - making contact between any leads is a bad idea.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-my-hdd-broken.51081/
Relevancy 28.38%

Recently after about years of use and no replaced parts my computer s power supply w started to fail the Is broken? PSU resulting in insufficient power to run my GPU Radeon HD This led me to remove the GPU as a temporary fix and switch to integrated graphics Is the PSU broken? This worked great and my machine was up and running once more For the long term I started looking to buy a new PSU but instead through some stroke of luck my uncle had a spare w that he didn t use as it was missing the right connections to his rig I eagerly took it off his hands and hooked it up After putting the case back together I tried to turn my computer on Nothing No fans no lights no beeps nothing I removed the side case cover to find out that there wasn t even any power to the motherboard as the power LED wasn t lit Dreading that I hooked something up wrong I scrambled to replace my old w The machine started up without a hitch Now I am thinking that it is just a nonworking w PSU that he gave me but I would like to put some doubts to rest He claims that it should work without any issues that he left it in the box functioning Also he did not have the AC adapter for the PSU box I had to use my old cable from my w PSU This shouldn t cause any problems should it Is there something I am missing here I wanted to make sure that I put all the details here and I am just looking for opinions Is the PSU broken Thanks nbsp

A:Is the PSU broken?

Likely a non-functioning PSU, and you probably should go with a 600W (appox. $80 for a good one for your graphics card, which looks SWEET by the way) if you get a new PSU. As far as the cable goes they are all identical, so that shouldn't be a problem.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/is-the-psu-broken.1007235/
Relevancy 28.38%

hey guys i just built my new gigabyte computer and its AMAZZZINGGGG its about in the morning so i ll give yall the specs tomorrow sometime my question is that i have a dvd-rw and it was working perfectly when it was in my old computer so i was putting it into my new computer about mins later and i had to take the plate off so i put it in my new computer and it wasn t working i have a regular cd-rw and it works perfectly the cd-rw is set as master so i put in the dvd-rw as slave and the power didn t even come on everything was set up perfectly i switched drive posistions and everything the cd-rw works great but the dvd-rw still gets no power i then put the dvd-rw back into my old computer and the power still doesn t come on I finally decided that my dvd-rw is broken but i decided to try it in my new computer one more time i plugged it in and the power still didnt come on but i looked in bios and it said that it was connected i was amazed no power but somehow connected i took the slave jummper cable off and turned the computer back on and the connection went away i tryed various jumper settings but still not a flicker maby i could have been a little rough with taking off the plating but i couldn t imagin me breaking the dvd-rw just by taking the plate off All help would be appriciated dvd-rw? broken Thanks nbsp

A:broken dvd-rw?

Hello! It's by chance that you maybe damage only the power led? have you tried to press the eject button? what about windows, it shows the unit on my PC or not? if you have an empty IDE (not sure if you are using a SATA HDD) try to connect it on a separate IDE from your CR-RW, I was about to suggest that your PSU maybe don't have enough power but if you already tried on your old PC with a Diff PSU then nevermind, you might also want to check the voltages if you have a multimeter at hand. Good Luck

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/broken-dvd-rw.55545/
Relevancy 28.38%

Well im using my other computer right now the computer i normally use wont start up. I turn it on i hear noises and then nothinh happens the monitor stays blank and the loading button stays on. usually it does that for 2-3 secs and then it clicks into the loading sequence but now it just sits there and the screen is blank. The only way i can turn the computer off is by unplugging it. Do you think maybe the ram died?

Relevancy 28.38%

Hi I have an XT laptop that isn t working and I was wondering if anyone might know what might be wrong with it The power adapter has the indicator light on so the adapter must be fine The battery light on the laptop works too But when Broken XT2 I try to start the computer it doesn t start I removed the battery and held the power button to discharge any static charge then put the battery back and tried to start the computer The light around the power button comes Broken XT2 on but then goes off again after only a second or two When I close the screen the power light the one beside the battery light on the lid of the case goes on and when I open the lid again the power light goes off again The light on the caps lock button is on and the lights above the F and F buttons are also on the light above the F button was blinking but is now steady Could parts of the hardware need re-seating I ve heard that can work Thanks for any Broken XT2 advice anyone can give

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19986287
Relevancy 28.38%

I was replacing the screen on my Lenovo X laptop when I made an error of some sort After installing the new screen and while the laptop was still disassembled I thought I'd plug it in charger I What broken? have not battery and see if it worked before putting it all back together There was immediately a very loud screeching noise I honestly don't know if it sounded like it was from the speakers or not as it was a few months ago now There was no smell of burning though and the MB looks OK I reassembled the laptop and this is its condition now New screen doesn't workVGA doesn't work it did before I tried replacing the screen It will boot OK and I can access it through RDP luckily I'd enabled remote access before breaking the What have I broken? screen BOIS can't see temperature sensors so fans never power up To work around this I downloaded TPFanControl and set the fans to run continuously at maximum TPFanControl can't see the temperatures but Speccy and HWMonitor can and the temperatures are OK Fan speed is not shown in HWMonitor but I can feel the hot air being blown out There is an intermittent whining noise which could be the fan It will run fine for - minutes and then just shut down I've booted it probably times and it always shuts itself down within this timeframe Never earlier or later There is no warning and it is not related to temperature or whether I'm doing anything on it at all see picture below of last shutdown - it was only degrees Does anyone have a clue what could be wrong Perhaps some fuses are blown If possible I'd like to have a stab and fixing it at least so it doesn't keep shutting down - I don't really care about the screen but VGA would be useful in case it doesn't boot in future for some reason It isn't worth paying to get it fixed and I've not got anything important on it so I figure it is worth a try Any ideas where to start bearing in mind I know nothing at all about hardware

A:What have I broken?

remote access gives you access to windows - If you have factory software installed , you should be able to run hardware diagnostics

Don't know what info you have but found this - http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub...43y6632_11.pdf

Hardware maintaince manual page 39-40

I also assume you disconnected the new screen - you got external vga?

Also look the MOBO over real good - there are very small ic chip fuses - your look for small dark brown spots.. Hell sometimes they just crack and are very hard to find..

I have changed many screen and test in the same manner as you did - screen laying on table..

I have had them screech before to - what I do not remember.. Count your screws and sniff around the board and look real close.. there is only one fan - but several heat sinks - and over heated chip will cause a safety shut down..

It is a hard thing to troubleshoot without the pc in hand - way to many variables

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/61896-what-have-i-broken.html
Relevancy 28.38%

S! guys,

Just a quickie really. Recently, it would appear that a file called hal.dll has stopped working on my PC. When I boot, the system says that this file is corrupt or damaged and boot cannot continue.

However, I assume that it doesn't do anything too important as the work around I have found is to press F8 on boot and from the menu select 'Start Windows Normally' - and the system boots and works just fine.

I just wondered if there is any way to repair this file 'easily' without having to run a repair or re-install?

Thanks in advance,

Nikita.

A:hal.dll - What does it do and why is it broken?

You're right the hal.dll is used only in XP and earlier, Vista and newer doesn't need it. Here is a solution. How To Fix Hal.dll Errors in Windows 7 and Vista
Also , MBR - Restore Windows 7 Master Boot Record

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/184516-hal-dll-what-does-do-why-broken.html
Relevancy 28.38%

I recently bought a Lenovo y50-70 and now a key have fell off. What should I do? Where can I order a new key, or do I have to send it to repair?

A:Y50-70 broken key

Hi krakan,

Welcome to Lenovo forums

As I understand that you are facing issue with the broken key in your Lenovo Y50-70 laptop.

As this is damage hence I would suggest you to visit the service centre for replacement of the keypad.

Click here to open a link where you can select the country and get the exact contact support number. I?m sure they will be a great help.

Hope this helps! 

Best regards,    

Ashwin.S

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/Y50-70-broken-key/td-p/1709087
Relevancy 28.38%

I believe I have malware and I'm following the steps as described, but when I double-click and run DDS.scr I get a bunch of non comprehensible characters and one line that This program can not be run in DOS mode.

A:DDS broken?

Try to post this log...Download OTL to your Desktop.Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.Click the Scan All Users checkbox.Under the Custom Scan box paste this in:Click the Quick Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows: OTL.txt and Extras.txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the contents of these files, one at a time, and post them back here.Do NOT post it here.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/434163/dds-broken/
Relevancy 28.38%

hey, i was pulling off the side of my case when i heard "CLUNK"( the computer was on). I found out that when i pulled off the side the fan wire hit another wire and caused a dominoe effect. and a wire hit my cpu fan, a broke a blade off the fan, and now my fan is off balance and therefore i hear a loud buzzing when my computer is on. i tried to hot glue gun it on, and it worked for about 1hr of straight running. any suggestions on how to get it back on?

Relevancy 28.38%

hi all
i just formatted my hd on my old 166 and i booted it up with a win98se startup disk... i chose sartup with cdr support.. and now whenever i try to read the cdr drive (when there's a cd in the drive) the computer reboots itself. i was just wondering if you guys think the drive is broken or if its something else?

thanks
graeme

A:is it broken???

graeme,
before you replace cd rom I would try another boot disk:
http://download.cnet.com/downloads/...h&qt=ultimate+boot+disk&cn=Utilities&ca=10001
http://download.cnet.com/downloads/...h&qt=ultimate+boot+disk&cn=Utilities&ca=10001
check these out an d givem a try, I'l check back.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/is-it-broken.68463/
Relevancy 28.38%

I was thinking about upgrading my RAM and in order to determin the sort of RAM my PC takes I opened it up and took the current RAM out to look at. When I put it back in the PC would not reboot. The power comes on and you can hear the fans working but I just get a blank screen and no sign of it booting. The RAM is back in the same slot it came out of and is fitted in properly.

I think I may have fried the RAM with static as I was wearing a fleece top and standing on a carpet? Does that sound likely? And if so will simply replacing the RAM with a new RAM chip and booting up, fix the poblem?

Thanks

Geoffrey

A:Broken RAM?

Fleece + Electronic Device = Disaster

You probably did fry your RAM. Just buy a new RAM chip. Make sure it is compatitble with your motherboard. If you're not sure what kind of memory you need, go to Crucial Memory and use their memory selector program. Next time you open your case, don't wear fleece and touch the power supply or another unpainted metal surface every few minutes to discharge the static electricity. Good Luck! :grinthumb

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/broken-ram.19740/
Relevancy 28.38%

Installing XP on a brand new machine but when it tells me to press F8 to agree it won't go any further. Keyboard seems to work as I can Pg Dn to the bottom of the agreement and Esc takes me out of it, but I can't get another keyboard till tomorrow to check.

So, any ideas? Would the Alt Gr + xyz work and if so, what's the 3 digit code for F8?

Any help appreciated, ta.

Relevancy 28.38%

When removing the heatsink, the CPU was attached to the heatsink and came out. Several pins have been bent and I've straightened them out with a pocket knife but when I put it back in and turn on the computer, nothing comes up. The computer starts like normal but nothing comes up on the monitor at all. Is the CPU bad or should I try to straighten out the pins a little better? What happens if you don't put a CPU in and try to start it?

A:Broken CPU?

the answers can very greatly. make sure the pins all have good connections to the processor and that none broke off in the socket. a friend of mine bent numerous pins on his athlon a year or two ago and we used a pair of needlenose pliers and it was repaired in moments. if there is a partial cpu ocnnection beetween the board anything could happen, there's no guarantee something will get broken. replace with known good cpu or try your cpu in another board.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/broken-cpu.20568/
Relevancy 28.38%

Hi,yesterday i somehow broke the fan fin,this is what it looks like atm.

So my question is,what if i dont buy a new fan for some time?The only side effects i see is a vibration all around the PC.Im going to buy a new Fan,but i dont know when or how to pick the new one or how mutch they cost.So,are there huge side effects other than the vibration?

A:CPU Fan Fin broken

Don't take a chance replace it immediately. It will work with the fin broken (with vibration) but it could have long term effects. That fan on your CPU is really cheap and easy to replace

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/135661-cpu-fan-fin-broken.html
Relevancy 28.38%

My CD DVD-Rom was working fine until about a week ago during which time I've conducted various virus scans spyware scans reg-scans Broken? My Rom CD/DVD-RW driver updates uninstalling WMP and reinstalling WMP - other audio video programs fare no better Any CD or DVD I try to play comes out choppy I tried the obvious remedial measures - restart shutdown-start rolling back to media player trying other media players shutting down other processes still choppy It's a laptop drive compaq Presario Windows XP Home SP My CD/DVD-RW Rom Broken? less than a year old Anyway here's the famous HijackThis logfile Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on -Nov- Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Windows Defender MsMpEng exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic sched exe C Program Files AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic avguard exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVG avgamsvr exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVG avgupsvc exe C Program Files Ahead InCD InCDsrv exe C Program Files Common Files LightScribe LSSrvc exe C Program Files CyberLink Shared files RichVideo exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Vidalia Bundle Tor tor exe C WINDOWS system wwSecure exe C Program Files Hewlett-Packard Shared hpqwmiex exe C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI Control Panel atiptaxx exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPLpr exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe C Program Files Hp HP Software Update HPWuSchd exe C Program Files HPQ Quick Launch Buttons EabServr exe C My CD/DVD-RW Rom Broken? Program Files SVRemote Watch exe C Program Files Ahead InCD InCD exe C Program Files Windows Defender MSASCui exe C Program Files MemoryBoost MemoryBoost exe C Program Files Babylon Babylon-Pro Babylon exe C Program Files Custom Skin Clock Clock exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files SRS Labs Audio Sandbox SRSSSC exe C Program Files Internet Download Manager FULL IDMan exe C PROGRA EVIDEN ee exe C Program Files Free Desktop Clock DesktopClock exe C Program Files Vista Start Menu VistaStartMenu exe C Program Files CursorXP CursorXP exe C Program Files NETGEAR WG v WG v exe C Program Files MP Dancer MP Dancer exe C Program Files Windows Media Bonus Pack for Windows XP PowerToys mpxptray exe C Program Files AWC AWC exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C Program Files GhostSurf Platinum Proxy exe C Program Files MSN Messenger msnmsgr exe C Program Files PeerGuardian pg exe C Program Files MSN Messenger usnsvc exe C Documents and Settings Madpoet My Documents A-Program Setup Icons utorrent exe C Program Files Merriam-Webster merriam-webster exe C Program Files Windows Media Player wmplayer exe C Documents and Settings Madpoet Desktop HiJackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http search babylon com home R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main First Home Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyServer O - BHO IDM Helper - C - - B-A BF- B C A A - C Program Files Internet Download Manager FULL IDMIECC dll O - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO Spywa... Read more

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/my-cd-dvd-rw-rom-broken-198189.html
Relevancy 28.38%

So I bought a new hd becoz the old one broke down This new one is a gb Western Digital SATAII broken? HDD, New drive The first few days it was ok So I started to copy everything from the old one onto it something about gb and then I started to use it very intensive New HDD, broken? as always And after the rd th day it started to make these clicking sounds The old one that broke down also did this but it s not the same sound this one is louder and sometimes clicks in a row It sounds like when the dentist ticks on your teeth or something eww stupid example The first few times I had this feeling that my pc restarted because it is very similar to the sound that I believe the hd makes when powering up the pc but then it does it just once Anyway I had a few times that new memory I bought was busted could this also be the case with my new hd Until thursday I have the time to get it back to the shop and get a new one But they always ask for a good reason is the clicking sound normal or should they give me a new one Thnx for the help nbsp

A:New HDD, broken?

Every Sata HDD that I have used makes a soft clicking sound when it's active. I think it's normal. If you're worried that it's more noise than should be, take it to the shop. They'll be able to run it and decide if normal. Sata drives make 'background level' noise at loudest.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-hdd-broken.93044/
Relevancy 28.38%

I recently bought a new case new heatsink fan for CPU and GPU The GPU fan and heatsink went on well the CPU HS What broken? is Fan What is broken? didnt go on as well mainly becuase I couldnt get the old backplate off Also when I removed to old HS Fan the CPU came right out of the socket no pins where bent the bottom looked perfect I guess I was lucky So after I figured out I couldnt get the old backplate off I decided the old screwmounts would work fine with the new HS Fan What is broken? So I just screwed the old HS Fan into the existing screwholes untill it was laying perfectly ontop of the CPU I also put Artic silver on I was kind of weary becuase I wasnt using the backplate that zalman provided but The cpu was on there pretty good After I got my motherboard in the case and everything else in I decided to turn it on to see if it works no monitor attached It fired up and all the fans started spinning the harddrive made some noise and the HDD led and power led lit up I thought that it must have worked I took it and set it up with the monitor But nothing showed on the screen this time The computer looks like it is working by looking inside the case but no output on the monitor Also I touched the base of the CPU heatsink no heat emitted It doesn t heat up as one would think a working CPU would What is most likely the problem I was thinking Broken MB Broken CPU All help is appreciated feel free to ask any questions Thanks nbsp

what do you mean whne you say the cpu came out of the socket? what cou, mobo, and socket are you working with here?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-is-broken.29874/
Relevancy 28.38%

Hi I recently reinstalled windows Not long after doing so I installed avast virus scanner and started a scan and left it HDD? broken to scan When i returned I found the computer trying to restart itself It would not restart and said a file was corrupt or missing hal dll i think it broken HDD? was broken HDD? I followed some advice to try to recover that but was unsuccessful I tried to do a repair reinstall of windows and it stopped telling me that it could not install a certain file I forget the name I even tried a different xp disk and it still wouldn t install that file So i decided to do a clean install of windows I started a format and it stopped at percent for over an hour then went to a blue screen of death Every time I try a format it does the same thing I have an alienware m notebook it has hdd s using RAID Im not sure what that is or if its relevent I suspect the drives are physically damaged Is that the case Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 28.38%
Q: Broken

Uh basically my PC is broken. Well not broken as such but it runs really slowly. Its not exactly and old computer but ive filled it with so much junk everything runs slowly, especially the internet. Anyway the computer wont let me do a system restore, every time i try it starts to load it and then it just stops and carries on logging on to XP. I thought of formatting the computer but since i don't have the xp disk and i didnt get a restore disk with the pc i dunno what to do. I just wanna get the computer back up to the speed it should be running at, like new. (well not quite like new but close enough cause this is really pis....annoying me a lot.

A:Broken

Hi FreshD, I would suggest uninstalling any programs that you don't use that much first. Then clean out any internet temp files you may have. Also run defrag if you haven't done so for a long time.

If you haven't done so already, run an online virus scan at TrendMicro or RAV Antivirus to make sure you don't have any viruses. Select the Autoclean option if you use TrendMicro.

I recommend using a spyware removal program to make sure you don't have any spyware installed either. Get HijackThis (see below). Create a folder at C:\HJT and put HijackThis.exe there. Run a scan and save the log. Post the whole log file here. Do not fix anything since most of them are harmless.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/broken-11138.html
Relevancy 28.38%

what i have most feared came true the other day, i dropped my laptop by accident and broke the LCD...i cant see anything now, weird lines up and down, weird colors all around now, and it has a crack on the screen..but somehow i cant touch the crack as if it was from the inside that it cracked..
any suggestion in how to fix this problem? btw its an averatec laptop 13.3 inch lcd screen, AMDTurion64 MT-30, 80 gig HD, 512 RAM

A:HELP,broken LCD

If its still under warranty then take it back, if not, its gonna cost ya to have a new screen fitted, its beyond repair.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-broken-lcd.37627/
Relevancy 28.38%

Last time one stick in my pair of 2x1gb ddr667 was broken.. it corrupted files whenever I tried to install software etc. Replaced it and everything was fine. Now, CPUZ says I have 1536mb instead of 2gb. It wasn't like this when I received the fixed piece... when I try my two sticks one by one, one registers as 512mb while the other as 1024mb. Both were tested on the same DIMM slot.

Could the one that registers as 512mb in CPUz be fried? Also on bootup it says i have ram in slots 2 6 and 7.. which is very odd. I've reset my bios to default settings: no help.

My motherboard is GA-965p-DS3.

A:Ram Broken... again?

Nvm... found the problem. Basically...

One stick was faulty. Returned it. Received replacement. Packaging etc. all the same except for a minor detail on the sticker: its 512mb not 1gb. (in super-fine letters). I JUST realized.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ram-broken-again.83001/
Relevancy 28.38%

I've had this custom built PC for quite awhile but since building it I've noticed some oddities. Sometimes when I boot up into Ubuntu the entire terminal screen will appear in incomprehensible black and white. This problem would go away if I let the PC turn off for a little bit. More indicative of my current problem though the PC won't boot up. I thought maybe the CPU overheated so I gave it 30 minutes to cool down. I pressed the power button again with no luck. Whenever I would turn the PSU on though I would still at least see a light on the motherboard. One of the times it seemed to turn on for a second but then it just shut off again. After that the light on the motherboard won't even swing on now. I have no idea really how to diagnose my PC.

Relevancy 28.38%

i recently dropped my case well thinkn not a bad fall its cool pluged everythin in and couldnt get monitor out of powersaver mode. thinkn the monitors bein difficult i pluged in another t wouldnt start . so graphics card im thinkn changed that same thing now im thinkn my slots notreadn or seein vid card i dont kno is my mother board broke is there more i can try b4 replacin things id appreciate any sugestions . ty

Relevancy 28.38%

Hi!

When turning on the computer the screen blinks once to show the BIOS screen then it turns black for ever until next boot.

I have tested with another gfx card but it is still the same. Which is the faulty componant you think?

It could be a number of things.

Can you boot into Safe mode? (F8)

If you can't, and you feel safe and comfortable to do so, Take the battery out of the motherboard to clear the CMOS.

Do the Fans Spin when the screen goes black?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/336897-what-broken.html
Relevancy 28.38%

I hope this is the Broken IE8 right forum to post this My IE isn t working properly here are my problems symptoms with Internet Explorer Tools icon Home icon and others alike are missing from the top tool bar File Edit View Favorites Tools Help Internet Options are all missing from top tool bar I can t access into any of those if the tool bar doesn t exist Links on webpages for downloads will not work Can t delete clear History can t cut copy paste print from a webpage On the bottom progress loading bar of internet pages I have a Broken IE8 tiny white page icon with a red circle and a Broken IE8 white X in it The Internet Explorer icon is no longer on my desktop but I do have the symbol on the bottonm bar near the Start button When I click on that icon the IE is opened but Broken IE8 there is not any text on the top bar to tell me which webpage I am viewing And there s also no text on the tabs at the bottom of the screen Sometimes when IE is opened I get an error message that says there is a problem with iexplore exe or that it isn t responding I can t access Internet Options in the Control Panel it won t let me in When I click on quot Internet Options quot it just clicks back to the Control Panel Any application involved with IE does not show up on the Task Manager I have Verizon Internet Security Suite powered by McAfee installed on this computer and all seems fine when checking for viruses and threats I ve run full scans and it says there s no viruses or problems The firewall is active I have Windows XP Professional Version Service Pack IntelPentium III Processor MHz MB of Ram Please help I do have an XP cd but I was hoping that would be the last resort Is there any other way than the cd If I do have to use the cd will it change everything else that I have on my computer for example would it remove programs and things like my emails favorites bookmarks etc If using the cd would it be possible to reinstall just my Internet Explore without changing anything else Is there some code or command that can be used to reinstall it I hope someone will be able to help me with this problem I ve tried to be as detailed as I can to explain my problem Thank you

A:Broken IE8

If you installed IE8, uninstall then reinstall. See if that helps.For the missing toolbars, which you may have to set up to show after reinstalling IE8:1) Press the F 10 key. When the menu bar appears, RIGHT click in a empty spot next to the last thing listed. Click Menu bar to lock it in place.2) Next click Command Bar for the bottom bar with Tools on it.3) If you have the Command Bar, click Tools, choose Toolbars and then click Menu Bar.OR right click in an empty space at the top, choose Menu Bar. If you have no empty space, point your cursor to a thin sliver underneath the address bar and right click.If you use IE9, the space between the end of the address bar and home icon will work. In the screenshot the arrow is pointing to the thin sliver below the address bar, this is where you will need to right click.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/406129/broken-ie8/
Relevancy 28.38%

So my fan recently just stopped working, it's been broken for a while but it was still functioning. anyhow i want to replace it but i don't know where to begin. i know with the right info i could do it myself, i just need to know what to do, what fan do i get and how do i replace it

Relevancy 28.38%
Q: Broken?

I try to get the the new verison of XP, when I turn it on it says

TRAP 00000006 ===================== EXCEPTION =====================

tr-0028 cr0=00000011 cr2=00000000 cr3=00000000
gdt limit=03FF base=00017000 idt limit=07FF base+00017400

cs :eip=0008 :0042AD09 SS :esp=0010 :004013C0 errcode=0000
flags=00010887 Cy NoZr IntDis Down TrapDis
eax=6C476040 ebx=004013B1 ecx=00001618 edx=534D0040 ds=0010 es=0010
edi=0047164F esi=00051D68 ebp=00061FF0 cr0=00000011 fs=0030 gs=0000

What does this mean and how do I fix?