Windows Support Forum

USB ports broken

Q: USB ports broken

I just bought a new acer aspire 5517 and it only came with 2 USB. One of the usb ports where broke when i got it so i contacted acer and the would not do anything about it. and my front Usb lookes fine but does not work. i tried
- Power Reset
- Device manager
- and i do not want to pay money for it

Someone Please help

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: USB ports broken

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: USB ports broken

See How to Reinstall Your USB Controllers and Motherboard Chipset Drivers.

Don't know if will help or not (depends on exact cause of your problem) but is worth a shot

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/usb-ports-broken.150047/
Relevancy 27.09%

I have an lap top toshiba satellite c660 with both usb ports phisicaly damaged and after replacement they didnt worked , I mentioned betwen externel pins existe power 0,5 mA but middle pins I m not sure if they work,what should I do?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/toshiba-satellite-c660-usb-ports.213198/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hello,

I have a HDMI cable for my monitor, with a nvidia graphic card...

but now I have a big doubt, I dont know if my motherboard's graphic card's imput is not working anymore or if its my graphic's card after a FLASHY BLACKOUT today...

my nvidia control panel is not working anymore... whenever I try using VGA or HDMI with my graphic card it doesnt show any sign in the screen... so im currently using my normal VGA motherboard's imput...

I tried using an old graphic card and its not working, I tested the VGA cable and HDMI cable and they are working perfectly...

yet, after I set the graphic card in the slot, the fan it start working, if I unplug the graphic card but leave the curent cable, it doesnt start the fan so I guess the motherboard's imput is working

so idk what's the problem here, I have all the drivers and everythign was working perfectly before the blackout

A:Broken motherboard slot or graphic card

Well... its too late and soon for expect an answer but...

I tested my graphic card in an old motherboard and it was working... it didnt load windows cuz of the diferent motherboard but connecting my VGA in my gpu worked, and the HMDI didnt work I guess because it need to be configured after windows loading etc

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/broken-motherboard-slot-or-graphic-card.212639/
Relevancy 28.38%

mic:Candy skull slyr my mic I was playing csgo and it died out but when I talk my mic is fine for 1 sec then the volume turn off on my mic

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/mic-broken.212280/
Relevancy 27.09%

My newest task is centered around an HP Pavilion 15-p033ca laptop with a broken screen. Replacing the screen is actually super simple but my issue lies elsewhere.

Normally I would hook the laptop up to a monitor via VGA cable. This newer laptop only has an HDMI hook-up, so I hooked it up to my TV with that cable. The HP logo upon start up is semi-visible as the picture is distorted. So, before I spend money and order the screen my question is...

Does an HDMI relay the Broken screens picture to the TV and that's why is messed up? or should the TV picture still be clear? Like when a broken screen laptop is hooked to an external monitor with a VGA and the external monitor works fine.

I'm worried there may be an internal GPU or Mobo issue aside from the screen being broke.... Finally is there a better way I can test this instead?

Thanks for any info or Ideas in advance!

Relevancy 27.52%

So I bought myself a new case the other day but when I was done putting in my graphics card, I booted my PC but I didnt get an signal and I have'nt done nothing wrong.

I have nVidia geforce gtx 550 Ti

A:Graphics card broken

Did you connect the 6 pin PCI-E connector from the PSU to the GPU card? Have you tried to remove the GPU and re-seat it?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/graphics-card-broken.208307/
Relevancy 27.95%

Okay so this problem has been going on for at least Broken? Webcam half a year now and I swear I ve tried everything short of reverting my computer back to factory settings which I really don t want to do because I don t have anywhere to store my files I run Windows bit on a Toshiba Satelite C laptop My stock webcam stopped working out of the blue roughly six months ago and when I checked it in the device manager my webcam is Webcam Broken? displayed with a yellow alert triangle When I go into properties this is the message that I see quot Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device A Webcam Broken? recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged or that might be malicious software from an unknown source Code quot I already uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers for it numerous times and asked Windows to find an update fo it numerous times but no luck After a while I went out and bought a new usb webcam but that failed as well The item said that it would automatically download the drivers when plugged in but it didn t On top of that that webcam displays with a yellow triangle too I seriously have no idea what to do at this point I hate my computer but I can t afford to get a new one Help nbsp

A:Webcam Broken?

Back up your files to a DVD or flash drive and do a factory restore

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/webcam-broken.204810/
Relevancy 27.52%

Hi all,

So I managed to drop my laptop Satellite C870 - 15K to the floor. It cracked my screen (see attached) so I'm thinking of replacing the screen myself. However before I purchase the screen I wanted to make sure the laptop is still working.

When I try to connect it to my TV through HDMI to verify if the laptop is still function I get no image. I thought maybe it's in standby mode or something so I removed the battery and tried again without luck. When I start up the laptop it sounds normal but I don't hear any windows sound or anything. Any advice on how to continue?

A:Broken Toshiba LCD screen

Pull off the bottom access panel(s) and make sure the memory and hard drive are seated properly by removing them and re-installing them. It is also possible that the broken screen is shorting out the motherboards video. Try connecting the TV after you remove the LCD panel. One more thought... you have pressed the proper F key to activate the external video port?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/broken-toshiba-lcd-screen.203601/
Relevancy 27.52%

My HP Pavilion G has been into geek squad twice now and each time it has come home and worked seemingly okay for about a week and I have problems with it again In the beginning of it all whatever has infected my computer corrupted USB drives I ended up USB ports trouble me giving putting the files back on the computer as it had some important school documents If USB ports giving me trouble it helps the USB drives were lexars I have also been experiencing problems with a portable mouse Logitech where it will simply not USB ports giving me trouble work When I try and shut it down in the start menu It will fail and give me a blue screen with quot USB BUGCODE DRIVER quot scrawled near the top in all caps It will also when on have lines move up and down it Like I said before geek squad has looked at this twice and hasn t solved the problem to a full extent Since it happened during the time that it quit working for the last time I downloaded quot Monaco quot on the steam store on a whim because it looked fun and it was free When I gave it access to my hard drive and launched it it froze up and I had to use Ctrl Alt Delete to get the screen to go back to being normal This is when the mouse quit working and no buttons on the keyboard worked I shut it off using the power button and when I started it the mouse didn t work This confused me because I thought the Steam store was secure I have also tried to reset it to the day before it went foobar using the system reset but it gives me the same USB BUGCODE blue screen each time I try because it has to shut down without the power button even in safe mode the same thing happens I really need my mouse to work for the games that I play having to use the touch pad for games like Skyrim is the most irritating thing I ve ever experienced I also need the USB drives to work for school projects and papers I haven t seen anything helpful on the internet so far and I really don t want to pay for another useless visit to geek squad Thank you for your time nbsp

A:USB ports giving me trouble

Your drivers are corrupt. You can uninstall them and let windows reinstall them. This may fix the problem . But if the usb ports are bad. You will get the same problem back. You can also try a restore point to when the computer or laptop usb ports were working fine. I hope this helps.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/usb-ports-giving-me-trouble.201433/
Relevancy 27.52%

A few weeks ago I restarted my laptop and it started making an incredibly loud beeping Sound as if keys were stuck. I managed to log into my desktop using the on screen keyboard but as I double clicked my internet browser around 40 pages popped up so I knew something was stuck. After this, a few of my number buttons stopped working but this didn?t really bother me so I didn?t try fixing it but now it seems like my whole keyboard is messed up. Whenever I press a button its almost as if my return key is stuck. Here is an example of me typing without using the on screen keyboard

Im s

Orry my

En

Glish

Is so

B

Ad

In

This post b

Ut

I had

To type

It

In
Short

B

Ecause my keyb

Oard

Is s

O

Frustratin

g

What can I do? please help

PS.
I've already tried cleaning out my keyboard and my
laptop
is
an
acer aspire 5750 if thats needed

A:Laptop keyboard broken

You will need to take it to a repair shop and have the key board replaced. Or if you know someone who works on lap tops and have them replace the key board for you. Either way It will need to be replaced.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-keyboard-broken.201510/
Relevancy 27.09%

My current system was built in May of 2012 and has been rock solid until like now.

I have had 4 out of 6 USB ports fail on me at once. I can't scan, can't print and the only two that are working I have both my mouse and keyboard in them because I had to transfer them yesterday the ones I had them connected to for almost 2 years. My printer was working fine yesterday and then that port failed today. I have tried booting and rebooting to no avail.

The motherboard is a Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H. If anyone can recommend to me a good solid Z77 board I'd appreciate it because if the last two ports go I won't be able to use my keyboard or mouse and then I'll have some real grief to deal with.

Any ideas would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Relevancy 28.38%

Was just thinking, how many USB ports do you guys use? I would imagine more than the average user as I suspect that members of a technology forum wouldn't use the same as the average user. If possible I would like to know what you use the ports for in the comments, personally I use 6, one for my mouse, one for my webcam, one for my speakers, one for keyboard's USB hub (which I never use), one for my wireless xbox controller receiver for PC and one for my iPod cable. My keyboard is PS/2 for the actual keyboard part, if you were wondering. Thanks!

A:How many USB ports do you use?

Mouse, keyboard, webcam, XBox 360 controller, Logitech G27, WooAudio WA7, sometimes I swap out portable hard drives and thumb drives and occasionally plug in a custom joystick for playing SSF4AE... and that's just for my gaming rig.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-many-usb-ports-do-you-use.200787/
Relevancy 27.09%

I have no idea why this happened, after the update none of the ports on my computer work after booting into windows. bios was updated before this and all was fine. checked in bios if ports were enabled. still no joy. help!!!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/all-usb-and-ps-2-ports-dead-after-msi-motherboard-driver-update.200108/
Relevancy 27.52%

I recently change my motherboard. since then front usb ports are not working. I searched them in device manager but there are only 4 usb root hub are desplaying which are of backside. front side ports are not showing in device manager. I open cabinate and desconnect and reconnect cable into front usb ports. but its still not working. is there wrong connection on motherboard ? plz help.

A:Front usb ports not appearing

Check the manual again against how you have plugged the front panel ports into the header, the old motherboard and the new one are most likely not the same as how the front panel ports on the old one are.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/front-usb-ports-not-appearing.198933/
Relevancy 27.09%

I was setting up a DVR to be accessed from outside a restaurants network They purchased a static IP address I ve set these up a half dozen times before usually with no-ip org this was my first time that a client ports All connection IP Static refuse connections - actually bought a static line so I thought it would be easier So I setup Static IP connection - All ports refuse connections my router an old wrt Linksys with all the correct static IP and DNS Static IP connection - All ports refuse connections info Setup port forwarding and tried to connect from my phone s internet connection using a laptop No luck So I set the laptop as the port forward address and ran a portscan from a website and checked the port individually from canyouseeme org Both said quot Refused connection Static IP connection - All ports refuse connections quot or a derivation there-of The scan showed this for all ports I disabled the firewall and set the laptop as DMZ and still got this message on every port I checked I then plugged the laptop directly to the modem SURFBOARD SBG and entered the static IP info into the network adapter settings Internet connection worked fine but still kept getting quot refused connection quot I then spent an hour on the phone with Brighthouse Networks as they tested everything on their end and inside the modem which is actually a modem router but they wouldn t give me the login and pass to check it myself They said the problem must be on my end and that they do not block ports except and or something like that Connected directly to the modem and still getting this problem even after several reset attempts on the modem I can t think of what to do next I even set it to pickup the network automatically as the modem router has a dhcp server in it While it could still connect to the internet all ports still refused connections I m stumped Any help would be appreciated Thanks nbsp

A:Static IP connection - All ports refuse connections

Figured it out. As always when it doesn't make sense it's because theres' more than one thing wrong. The router's port forwarding wasn't working, and I had forgotten to disable to laptops firewall and I guess windows 8 has a more sensitive firewall than 7. So plugged in the DVR directly with the static IP info typed in and worked like a charm.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/static-ip-connection-all-ports-refuse-connections.198062/
Relevancy 27.52%

Hi all I have a 750gb seagate external hard drive , and the usb port bit broke on it so ive taken the hard drive out the casing . just wanted to know is this a 3.5" .as I bought new one so thinking of selling this one on ebay or using it for my pc. any more info needed please reply thanks

A:External hard drive broken

Anyone please ?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-broken.197512/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hello.
I recently got new Intel SSD series 330 60gb in addition to my standard 1tb Samsung HDD. So I set RAID mode from IDE to AHCI in BIOS (mobo MSI X85 pro-e). Now some of SATA ports (port 3 and 5) don't recognize my HDD or CD/DVD being connected but I still can use them in windows while other ports display them normally in BIOS. Also when I switch back to IDE mode, ports 3 and 5 display hardware in BIOS.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sata-ports-wont-work-in-ahci-mode.195845/
Relevancy 27.52%

Alright so I got an Aspire M since One day it suddenly card Graphics or slot? the is broken it wouldn t start up Beeping noises are heard from the CPU long short After a bit of research it seems Graphics card broken or is it the slot? that the computer could not detect the graphic card which results in it not starting up So I reinserted the graphic card Failed Did it again Failed Repeated for hour Still hearing long short beeps Then after a few maybe hours I tried again reinserting the graphics driver connecting the monitor cable and turned it on It worked Graphics card broken or is it the slot? I didn t know what happened but it worked After Graphics card broken or is it the slot? I was done using the computer I turned it off The next day today the problem came back Reinserted plugged monitor cable turned on and it works Now I don t know whether its the graphic card or the slot Wonder if replacing it will work I m afraid that if I turn off the PC the problem will return Any help would be appreciated I never opened the CPU since for cleaning nbsp

A:Graphics card broken or is it the slot?

Hey Falconet. I think I would be far more likely that the graphic card is flaky since in your research the beeps point to the graphics card. If the slot were damaged, chances are you wouldn't get it to work at all, and since it worked one day and not the next, and since the slot itself won't break on it's own, I would suspect the card first. It wouldn't hurt to check both connection points of the cable the next time, although the beeps indicate the card's operation itself as not being right.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/graphics-card-broken-or-is-it-the-slot.189593/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hi,I when I connect the usb nano receiver of my mouse in one of the front ports of my cabinet it works fine,but when I put the nano receiver in one of the back ports ,the mouse lags!
Any solution?
Thanks in advance

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/back-usb-ports-not-working-properly.193230/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hi Friends ... I have this laptop that has been given to me by my company and the USB ports have been blocked in manner such that I can copy stuff from my USB drive on to the machine but cannot copy in the reverse direction, ie. from the hard drive to the USB. Obviously it is to safeguard against theft of data. However, I do not deal with any confidential data and like to back up things every few days. Please tell me a shortcut to unlock my USB entirely even though I do not have administrator rights on the machine.

A:How to unlock USB ports without admin password?

Sorry, we will not assist in circumventing such security features, especially when the machine belongs to someone else.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-unlock-usb-ports-without-admin-password.193100/
Relevancy 27.52%

I have a problem with my desktop PC The USB ports are not working so I can t use my keyboard or mouse I m not sure if it has any connection with this but today I tried installing a SSD to my system with no luck While doing that I set the BIOS to AHCI as I read that would be the most optimal Well I kept getting errors trying to install Win to the SSD so I decided to save it for a later time Then I turned off my PC unplugged the SSD and plugged my HDD back in On boot up I entered BIOS and set settings to default After this my USB ports stopped working I have tried turning off my system unplugging the powercord and the CMOS battery for at least minutes with no luck I have also tried plugging my keyboard into every single USB port my PC has I can t even enter BIOS or press F to enter safe mode now Any suggestions stopped USB ports working I m using WinXP and my motherboard is a Gigabyte GA- A-UD nbsp USB ports stopped working

A:USB ports stopped working

Borrow or purchase a ps2 kb. Enter BIOS and enable USB KB/Mouse. I'm not sure it is called exactly that, but it is something similar that you will be able to find. I too have a Gigabyte motherboard (older than yours even) and have had problems with it liking USB kb inputs until I explicitly set that in the BIOS. What is weird is sometimes USB will work if that isn't set, or sometimes it will half-*** work, as in I could get into the BIOS or force the boot selection menu, but then the kb wouldn't work.

So bottom line is, I know what you are describing, but I don't know of a good fix, outside of just acquiring a ps2 kb which will get you out of this situation 100% of the time.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/usb-ports-stopped-working.191629/
Relevancy 27.95%

I don't think there is an easy answer to this problem, its a Dell desktop and after a power cut non of the usb ports are working therefore my keyboard and mouse aren't working either, There are no ps/2 ports to use instead, it was booting into windows but with all the repeated turning off it now boots to a screen giving me a choice of boot up modes neither of which I can choose therefore it just sits there and goes no further. I fitted a PCI card with 4 x usb ports on it but of course it can't load the software for that therefore it won't recognise the keyboard/mouse. its a bit of a catch 22 situation.
Has anyone any suggestions, other than changing the mobo as that's not going to be cheap as its a Dell?

A:USB ports not working

Can you try infrared or bluetooth devices?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/usb-ports-not-working.191430/
Relevancy 27.52%

Lately I have been having some New issues modem ports with / problems with people connecting to some listen servers that I try to host I tried an open port check tool and these ports are coming back as closed although I have opened them in my router and all settings are correct I then got to thinking that not too long ago New modem / issues with ports my ISP replaced my old modem basic single WAN port modem with a large Arris TG modem which has a WAN port along with LAN ports I found out this thing had an IP address for it so I logged into it couldn t do this with my old modem and discovered this modem has all the settings that my Linksys WRT GL router has DHCP Wireless New modem / issues with ports capabilities WAN LAN setup Firewall etc My question is could this new modem be the cause of my problems I noticed that it New modem / issues with ports has DHCP enabled along with the firewall which are both also enabled on my Linksys router Any insight on this would be great as I ve been trying to figure this out the past couple days and have come up dry Edit After finding an online manual for this Arris residential gateway it turns out that port forwarding is referred to as quot Virtual server quot for this device I tried to forward the port I m having issues with but when I go to apply the settings it says invalid IP address even though I am typing in the correct local IP address Edit While tinkering around with this thing it dawned on me that I should be setting the Arris gateway to bridge mode but after setting it to bridge mode and restarting the gateway like it suggests I do my internet connection goes out RT GLWRT GL WRT GL nbsp

A:New modem / issues with ports

Set your Arris TG862 modem/router to previous mode (routing), keep DHCP server enabled. Disable DHCP server and firewall on your router WRT54GL. Connect the modem(Arris TG862) and router(WRT54GL) with their LAN ports.

In the DHCP settings of your modem/router you should see what LAN IP address range it is using, forward ports accordingly(Virtual server).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-modem-issues-with-ports.189842/
Relevancy 27.09%

There is some problem with my font USB ports. All was fine until yesterday when they stopped working. I havent made any hardware change. Installed windows 8 but that was last week.

I connect my Logitech Gamepad, the LED switches on but it doesnt show up in the control panel, works when connected to the rear USB port.

Please help..

A:Front USB ports suddenly stopped working

You might have to open up your case, trace back the cable, and re-plug it. It could be detached, or the USB controller on the front ports could be fried somehow too.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/front-usb-ports-suddenly-stopped-working.189467/
Relevancy 27.52%

Hope someone can answer this: I have a XFX Radeon HD 6670 1GB, DDR graphics card with 2 ports (as noted in the subject.) I am able to get one monitor to display from the DVI-D port, but have tried 3 different monitors on the DVI-I port and none would identify or work. I bought an AVG to DVI-I cable and tried that, to no avail. I am really believing that the left port (DVI-I) is bad and I should get a new card. I do not know of any other way to 'test' it. I wanted a simple dual monitor set-up. I appreciate any help you can offer.

A:SL-DVI-I and DL-DVI-D ports graphics card

Might be an obvious question but have you enabled the second monitor in Catalyst Control Centre? Also what resolutions are the monitors?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sl-dvi-i-and-dl-dvi-d-ports-graphics-card.188667/
Relevancy 27.95%

Someone told me that the front USB ports on Windows 7 are wired differently than the rear USB ports. Is this true? Because I have my doubts.

A:Windows USB ports

The front ports can be different to the rear ports (e.g. 2.0 at the rear, 3.0 at the front), it's a hardware/BIOS thing, independent of the OS.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-usb-ports.188572/
Relevancy 27.52%

I just bought a Corsair M gaming mouse I installed both the updated firmware and the drivers for the ports? USB dead Corsair = M60 mouse and played a few rounds of Medal of Honor Warfigher on multiplayer The mouse performed pretty good I played for a good three hours without a problem I then shut Corsair M60 = dead USB ports? down to attend to something away from my PC When I rebooted my PC two hours later the USB ports in the rear hub of my setup -- where the M was plugged -- were no longer working The mouse was unresponsive I did a hard shut Corsair M60 = dead USB ports? down plugged the mouse into a USB port in the front panel then boot my PC into Windows The mouse worked but the ports in rear USB hub remained unresponsive So I did the quot unplug the power cord wait five minutes then reboot quot band aid solution which -- as expected -- worked Windows installed its generic mouse drivers I m using those now I ve uninstalled the M driver for now but have kept the firmware update intact I would really like to be able to use the driver s features But I m worried that I might run into the same issue again and be forced into another hard reset What could have caused the problem I know it s a lot to ask but I d like to first hear your advice and inputs and perhaps learn more about this issue before I try re-installing the Corsair drivers I ve got an Asus P X Pro motherboard As mentioned the M is plugged into a rear USB port Here are the specs for the mouse As always your help and advice will be greatly appreciated nbsp

A:Corsair M60 = dead USB ports?

Try rolling back that driver update

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/corsair-m60-dead-usb-ports.186546/
Relevancy 27.52%

Hi guys,

I recently got home from a 2 week holiday, powered my pc on...everything was fine. However the next day my monitors both have no signal (I have a dual split screen setup). The PC seems to be working fine, I can hear the Windows startup chime but no signal to either screen, no bios or anything. Monitors just blinking with no signal. Is my GPU broken? It was a top of the line Radeon GPU a couple years ago. I would like to hear your opinions before I splash the cash on another high end GPU.

Cheers

A:Is my graphics card broken?

First things to check are the cable connections - reseat them and see if there is a change. Other possibility is bad cables, but unlikely both would fail at the same time. Reseat the card, try in different PCIe slot, make sure it's getting adequate power.

Is the card still under warranty? Depending on the manufacturer you might catch a break and have had like a 3 year warranty.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-my-graphics-card-broken.184480/
Relevancy 27.09%

Okay so I have the Corsair Force GT Series 120GB SSD. Its port's are Sata 3 and well my motherboard is a MSI Pro-E long story short it does not have a sata 3 port. So my question is there anything out there I can buy that does have a sata 3 port like something that will hook on the PCI slot's or something. I basically dont wanna have to buy a new mother board but I still wanna get the amazing speeds because right now im getting half its peformance anyways please write back soon. If you give me a link to a product I prefer www.newegg.com and my max budget is $50.​

A:Expansion card with SATA III ports for SSD?

You will need a free PCI-E slot. But this should get the job done.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816150031

I do not know much about the brand. But it does have 5 Eggs on Newegg.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/expansion-card-with-sata-iii-ports-for-ssd.183425/
Relevancy 27.52%

so basically my screen has colored trianles that follow the colors of cerinthings on thje screen and the are flashing constanly and its extremly annoying and I dont know what ot do iv tryed everything from v synce and other things and no avail I have a picture to so you can kinda see the problem with fraps runnign as well

here is the image http://imgur.com/m7gU7

A:Game visuals broken and I don't know what to do

It sounds like its either a display or GPU problem, but I'm struggling to see what the issue is looking at that picture.

You can find out which by using a different display with the computer. If this resolves it, it's the display that's the problem. If it remains with another display, it suggests the GPU is a problem.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/game-visuals-broken-and-i-dont-know-what-to-do.182375/
Relevancy 27.52%

Hey,

Our family rents apartments here where I live. And there's a router in my room which guests use too. Since we don't have awesome internet connection, it really annoys me when guests download something via Wi-Fi. So my question is, Is it possible to block ports only for Wi-Fi users, but leave all ports open for cable users?

I googled but did not find anything related.. hope to get an answer here.

Big thanks !

A:Router: Blocking ports only on Wi-Fi?

This might help:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813878

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/router-blocking-ports-only-on-wi-fi.179596/
Relevancy 27.95%

i want to disable some of the usb ports on each computer on my network,

since they(users) use flash drive and such on them i keep on have to clean them or even format over.....

so i want to disable the ports but the keyboard and mouse of each are usb so how can i........

A:Disable USB ports

Go to "Device Manager" and disable the usb hubs you don't want being used. You might have to switch to PS/2 Keyboards and Mice. If you are comfortable with changing your system registry you can try this.
http://www.geekinterview.com/talk/2428-how-to-enable-disable-usb-ports.html
Read about halfway down.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/disable-usb-ports.175921/
Relevancy 27.52%

Hi all, I would like to know if there is any way I can tell if my motherboard is broken. I have a Fujitsu Amilo Pro V3515. When I press the power switch, the lights power light and wifi light come on, the fan starts, but that is it, just a black screen. I have tried removing and reinserting ram etc. I was just wondering if there was any way to find out what's wrong with it so I could just replace parts myself rather than the added expense of having to take it for repair. Any advice gladly received, regards.

A:Is there any way I can find out if my motherboard is broken?

theres no easy & quick way to check,
have you tried connecting you laptop to an external monitor?
incase it might be the screen
also tried disconnecting hdd, ram, keyboard, dvd drive.
tried doing a hard reset? remove battery & psu lead
hold the power button for 60 second.
or powering up off either battery alone or
taking battery out and powering up off psu alone?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-there-any-way-i-can-find-out-if-my-motherboard-is-broken.176079/
Relevancy 27.52%

My Hitachi C k rpm needed, Adviced HDD SSD broken need mb cache tb died after not even year of use I have checked for warranty and it says I have warranty till entered S N number to check so il be sending it for RMA Now my question is I need an SSD since my backup HDD is GB and only mb cache K RPM and its IDE drive which i hate Which is a decent SSD for - Adviced needed, broken HDD need SSD games as a boot drive I am looking at Corsair Sandforce GB I have sata mobo so that kind of sucks and since iv spent quite some money on new clothes I have left hopefully parents can fill the gap for the new SSD I have F Spinpoint but I got that one after the Hitachi HDD so its not my boot drive and i cant reformat it since I have made it my backup drive I can t use the GB for too long since its old and slow Hopefully Hitachi sends me a replacement drive il write them a letter as well just to make it more convincing So which SSD is decent out there Minding I have sata mobo but i rather but Sata SSD even though it most likely wont max out on the speeds Any advice Is the SATA cable same size as SATA or do i need an adapter How about getting SATA card for my SATA mobo would it that work Any ideas Hope you can help me out guys nbsp

A:Adviced needed, broken HDD need SSD

I'd get the Crucial M4 128GB SSD. Its one of the most reliable SSDs out there currently. It also supports both SATA2/SATA3 connections. So in the future when you do upgrade it will speed up, while still currently maxing out you're SATA2 connection.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...b=true&Keywords=sata+ii&Page=1#scrollFullInfo

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/adviced-needed-broken-hdd-need-ssd.175817/
Relevancy 27.52%

Hey my laptop has decided not to connect to the internet or find any connections to the web? It has been fine up until now and i have tryed it at numerous places where i have access and still nothing?

I have also deleted everything in the network file in my devices and rebooted the system and downloaded them again, but this hasnt changed a thing?

Please help!

A:Laptop Wi-Fi broken? Not connected - no connections are available?

are all your drivers there?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-wi-fi-broken-not-connected-no-connections-are-available.175317/
Relevancy 27.09%

Here s my situation I have had this rig for about years so it s not unlikely the card is fried but here sure how card possibly check to not broken, Graphics s my dilemma I just reinstalled windows so I could play Star Wars The old republic Everything was working fine until today Graphics card possibly broken, not sure how to check I logged in and suddenly when playing the game became unplayable due to low fps I was playing very smoothly on max settings before this for a week System specs are WIndows ultimate Radeon HD GB Corsair DDR Abit I Pro MB GB HDD Even on the game when I put it to lowest settings it doesn t increase the FPS How can I test it to find out what the problem is or even to find out if it s broken I plan to reinstall windows as a last resort I also did a stress test on Counter Strike Source not long ago and got FPS on everything maxed so I m going to try that again and see what my results are I got an average of FPS on furmark with full screen which gave me an overall score of The website scores my card way above that so I m not sure what to do I have updated drivers Thanks nbsp

A:Graphics card possibly broken, not sure how to check

With that many miles on it, I would just change out now... you will quickly see that nothing lasts for ever.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/graphics-card-possibly-broken-not-sure-how-to-check.174918/
Relevancy 26.66%

I have a satellite pro l300 - only 1 usb port is working the others have been physically damaged. I was wondering I could put a card into the express card slot ..I was thinking one of these

http://www.ebuyer.com/138357-startech-2-port-usb2-0-laptop-express-card-ec230usb

but I am confused, with pcima, express slot converters......would the above work ? - laptop is running vista.

A:Adding USB ports to ExpressCard slot on Toshiba Satellite Pro

Yes this adapter should work fine

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/adding-usb-ports-to-expresscard-slot-on-toshiba-satellite-pro.173167/
Relevancy 27.52%

Hi all,

I've got a friend whose wife is ready to kill. The CD of wedding photo's is currently in three pieces and not backed up. Any leads where he can get at least some of the data recovered? At this point in time he's almost "money no object"...

...any leads would be appreciated,
Many thanks,

A:Broken CD - data recovery - any chance?

I've never looked into this before. I'd imagine there isn't much that can be done. CDs and DVDs have a short life in data storage terms and really should not be relied on as a permanent storage media for important data. There seem to be a few companies out there that offer data recovery from damaged CDs, but this is usually from scratched rather than broken into pieces disks.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/broken-cd-data-recovery-any-chance.172952/
Relevancy 27.52%

Hey guys Im having some serious card graphics Broken issues with my graphic card and i was hoping that someone would be able to help me out a bit years ago I bought a gaming pc with the following specs see below I sent in my pc for repairs once but i got blown off saying it was fine and i had to pay shitloads of money to get it Broken graphics card back Problems are back and im clueless I have worked with fixing pc s myself and I know what the problem is but how can i prove this for the techs that work wher ei bought my pc Up till a few month ago it ran everything smoothly I played games like wow spore and black and white and didnt have any problems Lately however i played Aion Black and white and Skyrim and my graphic card drivers keeps crashing when im gaming It have happend times in minutes at the worst and that s just when you stand still doing nothing I have tried everything when it comes to the drivers and the only thing left is that the card simply is broken I have not overclocked my pc in any way however i do have some issues with my USB ports but I m pretty sure its not relevant I have a Logitech g keyboard and just about a month ago i had my first one replaced because Broken graphics card it started to fall out and lose power I said to the techs when i sent in my pc that i had issues with it but they seemed very sure that they were fine Day of having the new keyboard the same sh t starts over and it will have a nerd-rage now and then so i have to reboot my pc for it to work The rest of my usb ports has the same thing and my units keeps falling out as they please but hey working as intended So i can either continue to pester the people i bought my pc from or i can just buy a new graphic card i ve been looking at a gtx but noticed it has that new GDDR SDRAM Would this matter when my mother board is ddr I havent been reading up on such things lately so im having my doubts there Anyways thanks for reading this I quot hope quot someone have had similar experiences and can come with some advice Intel Core i - Processor ghz ASUS P P D PRO P Socket- Kingston ValueR DDR MHz GB XFX GeForce GTX M MB PhysX nbsp

A:Broken graphics card

What PSU, brand and wattage does the system have?
Having power issues via USB and graphics card issues with higher power consumption/newer more graphically intensive games would have me wondering if there is an issue with it.

There is no issue with DDR3/GDDR5 compatibility. The video memory mounted on the graphics card is accessed via the PCI-E bus that the graphics card is connected to the motherboard with. It doesn't rely on the memory controllers/chipset of the motherboard. Only the system memory (Kingston ValueR. DDR3 1333MHz 4GB) in the motherboard memory slots needs to be DDR3.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/broken-graphics-card.173761/
Relevancy 27.95%

So I'm not a complete computer guru, so I'm hoping someone can help me! My wife's computer was dropped recently and seems beyond repair, but I have documents and pictures and things on there I would love to have back. Is there a way to get them off if the computer can no longer be turned on?

A:Broken laptop, but I need everything on it!

Yeah it should be possible assuming the hard disk wasn't damaged when the laptop was dropped.

Your best bet is to buy an external enclosure for a 2.5" disk (which is what is fitted to a laptop) and then connect it to another computer using that enclosure. Its then just a simple case of transferring files over to the other computer.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/broken-laptop-but-i-need-everything-on-it.173731/
Relevancy 27.52%

I need help getting my cd dvd drives to work I can burn a cd but neither drive will read a cd dvd Ive ports not drives CD/DVD working and USB tried the following with no luck Uninstall the drive through Device CD/DVD drives and USB ports not working Manager Restart computer The drive will be automatically reinstalled or http support microsoft com kb Restart computer or Download and run Restore Missing CD Drive patch Double click on cdgone zip to unzip it Right click on cdgone reg click Merge Accept registry merge Restart computer or Go to Device Manager click a quot quot sign CD/DVD drives and USB ports not working next to IDE ATA ATAPI Controllers You ll see two items - ATA Channel or Primary Channel - ATA Channel or Secondary Channel Right click on each of them and click Uninstall Confirm Restart Windows They ll be automatically reinstalled When I try uninstalling the drives through device manager my computer freezes up completely and I have to force shutdown any ideas all help would me much appreciated oh and by the way Im running xp home and I have SP installed thanks nbsp

A:CD/DVD drives and USB ports not working

no? ok. thought I would get a response. I THOUGHT WRONG! lol

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cd-dvd-drives-and-usb-ports-not-working.170413/
Relevancy 27.95%

Hello everybody.i have a serious problem here.when i start my Laptop(hp pavillion g6 1055ex) i plug in the usb device(external HDD or usb controllers or Flash memories), it really works good and i hear a sound of plugin or plugout sound in my windows 7 but after an hour when i plug in my any of usb devices,they are not appear anywere.and even i cant here the plug in and plug out sound but the light of the device is working!!!!!!!
Laptop model:Hp pavillion G6 1055ex
i purchase this laptop 2 months ago and it is brand new. plz help!

A:USB ports problem

Isn't this still under warranty? Can you take it in for warranty work?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/usb-ports-problem.170007/
Relevancy 27.52%

GPU ATI Radeon HD CPU AMD Phenom II x ghz Ram gb DDR It all began when I was playing WoW today At first the game would freeze for roughly - secs then the screen would black out twice I mention twice because is crashing, Freezing, I etc GPU broken? think my it seems that there is two shades of black The I think my GPU is broken? Freezing, crashing, etc initial blackout is not completely black but has a slight contrast tint to it This issue occurred in intervals of about secs apart At one point the graphics err went -bit I think my GPU is broken? Freezing, crashing, etc It reminded me of what would happen when a game cartridge for the older consoles like snes went nuts I took a screenshot of it http img imageshack us i gpuproblem jpg After this i decided to completely exit wow and began loading this screenshot up but my computer froze It also froze completely at one point during the game and did not blackout But that was only once I also got some brief message from my taskbar about quot AMD recovery successful quot or something along those lines I began to suspect it was the processor I m leaning towards the GPU I ll run some more diagnostic tests with MW at the moment and see if this problem would persist Could this issue be the same as the ones from Newegg s reviews for this gpU I Remember reading the reviews as I was about to purchase this card and there were a few posts about their gpu not working properly with wow EDIT After running mins of mw there were no problems However when I would stream a video the similar issue arises After the blackout this is the message quot Display Driver AMD driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered quot nbsp

A:I think my GPU is broken? Freezing, crashing, etc

imo i would try this first try using a program like driversweeper and remove all AMD display drivers then just download the newest drivers for your card and install. Also note that lowering the clock speeds of the card in ati overdrive may help to as well as increasing the fan speed of the video card.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-think-my-gpu-is-broken-freezing-crashing-etc.161164/
Relevancy 26.23%

Hello all First post so bear with me Thanks Here s the situation I m replacing the internals on a brand new Toshiba Satellite Pro L after it was doused in sweet tea I was able to procure a new mobo and USB ports No power after replacing USB L630 to Satellite and Toshiba mobo Card reader board for about half the price of the laptop and the cleaning replacement went smoothly Here s the rub though -Brand new Mobo -Brand new card reader USB board -Brand new connectors Computer accepts power and shows powered on Even boots However as soon as the USB board is plugged in the entire rig looses power until it is unplugged and reset with the power button Odder still even though the old board acts a bit odd keeps trying to turn the computer on as soon as it s plugged in it behaves the same way Old and new USB boards both cause the board to lose power I ve done full electrical testing and even though the power circuits show full power at the DC in jack the board drops to half power and then loses it completely as soon as either USB board is plugged Both boards behave the same even when nothing else is connected except for the USB board Completely lost at this point Any help would be greatly appreciated nbsp

A:No power to Toshiba Satellite L630 after replacing mobo and USB ports

The replacement motherboard is probably bad. Have I ever bought bad motherboards? YES! Both for laptops and desktops...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-power-to-toshiba-satellite-l630-after-replacing-mobo-and-usb-ports.166370/
Relevancy 27.09%

I need a motherboard C51GU01 to Gateway GT5032,
Where I found it....

A:Motherboard C51GU01 to Gateway GT5032 broken

Try searching EBay in your language

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/motherboard-c51gu01-to-gateway-gt5032-broken.166229/
Relevancy 27.09%

Toshiba A -s Vista Home Premium SP Bit I have USB ports available on the left and on the right I can t seem to get any of them to work any longer When I plug anything in on the two on the left nothing not a thing happens When I plug things in on the right it recognizes it and it installs but tells me the device is unknown No matter the device it s always unknown devices All Unknown install ports USB as in in either port Until yesterday when I removed some upper filters and lower filters associated the GearA it constantly was giving me that quot plunking quot sound like something had been plugged into a USB port and it was quot not recognized quot That was driving me nuts as I could not get it to stop I have been reading on here for a couple of days and gone through all the troubleshooting Cleaned drivers with Driveclean exe in folder system Uninstalled the All devices in USB ports install as Unknown devices in device manager as instructed Ran SIV All devices in USB ports install as Unknown - Service Information Viewer Updated chipsets and drivers Gone thru instructions to remove upper and lower filters with Regjump however there are All devices in USB ports install as Unknown other upper filters and lower filters associated with other stuff in the Registry Read thru instructions and ran serviwin I ve even been inside the computer to make sure no wires were loose When checking USBSTOR with serviwin here is what I get USBSTOR USB Mass Storage Driver Stopped Manual Normal USB Mass Storage Class Driver lh sp rtm - Microsoft Corporation Microsoft Windows Operating System C Windows system DRIVERS USBSTOR SYS Error The service cannot be started either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it AM system DRIVERS USBSTOR SYS I ve tried to quot start quot USBSTOR but it won t let me At this point I m here with laptops and USB ports and can t get one port to work I have an HP where the ports have stopped working too but I can t only deal with one at a time lol I m in need of some serious get down to business help and unafraid Thanks so much nbsp

A:All devices in USB ports install as Unknown

It's another long shot but again, is easy to do, so give it a try. You have the same symptoms so try the same trick as in this thread Driver failure, unknown devices in USB controller. It worked there. Maybe for you too> <fingers crossed>

LookinAround said:

I've seen this trick work on only just a couple occasions but is easy so is also worth a try for your symptoms

Shut down computer. Unplug from the wall. Remove battery if its a laptop. Let it sit for an hour or two to discharge power. Then plug back in and try again.

Hope it may help <fingers crossed>Click to expand...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/all-devices-in-usb-ports-install-as-unknown.165134/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hello guys this is my first post in this forum.

I work in IT support, and I came across a problem with someone I work with.

Guy called Tony, had a USB stick in one of his front USB ports on his computer, he accidently kicked it and broke some of the USB off in the port.

He has 2 ports on the front, and now when he plugs something into the one that isnt broken, a cooling fan at the top of the computer goes crazy, and it cant be stopped until the computer is shut down, and the USB doesnt register on the computer.

Is this a problem with wires? Or is it just a problem where the ports at the front need replaing all together?

Thanks!

A:USB ports makes cooling fan run full speed?

Powah said:

Is this a problem with wires? Or is it just a problem where the ports at the front need replaing all together?Click to expand...

Hard to say at this state.

By "a piece broken off", do you mean Mr. Tony broke the flashstick so that the USB-male is still plugged in, but the drive itself has been detached? Have you removed the piece which is still inside? (It helps ) - also, which OS is the computer running? This is sort of important, as different OS's works (a little) differently regarding the USB-ports.

Currently, it looks like you simply need to remove that piece stuck inside. Although if that doesn't fix the problem (or if there is no piece stuck inside), then probably a connection or two inside the port broke when the flashstick was kicked - resulting in a need for changing the entire port .

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/usb-ports-makes-cooling-fan-run-full-speed.164997/
Relevancy 26.23%

I have a Western Digital 250 GB external HD that had been working perfectly until yesterday afternoon. It has been making this repetitive whirring noise *not the clicking noise of death* and it died before I had a chance to copy the data onto another external. When I plug in the USB it makes the connection noise, but autoplay does not come up and it does not show up in my computer anymore. I did look in device manager and disk management and it does show up but it had no drive letter and it says unreadable. (I've attached a screenshot of this)

i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i359/aadickinson88/ss2.jpg
i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i359/aadickinson88/ss1.jpg

Is there any way I can recover the data off of it? Should I just take it out of the enclosure and hook it up to a desktop pc?

A:External hard drive broken shows up in device manager but not My Computer

It sounds like the drive itself is dead rather than the enclosure. The repetitive 'whirring' noise likely is immediately following the click of death, just the click is pretty quiet on a lot of notebook drives. If yours is a full size (3.5") drive in that enclosure, then perhaps you are right and the click of death isn't occurring.

In either case, its not going to hurt to hook it up internally, because even if it doesn't work you aren't any worse off than you are now.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-broken-shows-up-in-device-manager-but-not-my-computer.163770/
Relevancy 27.95%

Hi I m not sure if this is the right forum but since I m having trouble with external HDD and removable devices through my USB ports I decided to post it here I recentry bought an external enclosure USB powered which after installing a HDD on it it was not recognized I thought I got a DOA enclosure but after trying it on my friends computer it works just fine so the enclosure this? are do underpowered, I fix My how ports USB is fine but does not work on my computer it has the option to use a power cable for USB and when I plug that cable it works fine but it My USB ports are underpowered, how do I fix this? is not supposed to work like that USB cable only is supposed to power up that device Another problem related to same issue everytime I plug my iPad on my computer it says quot not charging quot and even though it charges veeery slow sometimes does not charge at all USB drives mouse KB and printer work just fine and they are all USB very randomly I receive a message quot your device could perform faster if you plug it to a USB port quot but my ports are USB I tried changing some settings from the BIOS but nothing helps so far could you please let me know how can I check for this problem I never seen anything like this except on defective motherboards hopefully this is not the case but I don t know Thanks nbsp

A:My USB ports are underpowered, how do I fix this?

Both USB 1.1 & 2.0 supply power to the attached device(s) - - but ONLY 500ma per slot. You were right to get an enclosure for the HDD, but it needs to be externally powered to drive the higher current needs of an HDD.

It does seem strange that

everytime I plug my iPad on my computer it says "not charging"Click to expand...

, but that's different than the HDD issue.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-usb-ports-are-underpowered-how-do-i-fix-this.163528/
Relevancy 27.52%

My 9800gt for some odd reason doesn't seem to work? I'm not sure if it's dead because the screen stays black when I turn my computer on and the computer beeps like it usually does and then I hear the windows 7 start up sound thing and I can type in my password and it logs in.

Is it dead? Or is it something else?

Specs:
MOBO: MSI K9N6PGM2-V
PSU: CoolingMaster eXtreme Power Plus 500W (RS-500-PCAR-A3)
CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 635 2.90GHz
RAM: 4GB

A:Is my graphic card broken?

Check to make sure all the connections are working and plugged in, e.g. power cord for the monitor, vga/dvi for video. I know that seems rather obvious, but sometimes it's the easy things we overlook.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-my-graphic-card-broken.162817/
Relevancy 27.09%

I recently posted that my external hard drive was not working as windows wanted to format it. I pulled it up and now it lights up but windows says it cant start in device manager so i put another hard drive form my old PC in it but it the same scenario.

Is there any last options on this please i really need some help.

I also tried to put it in my external dvd enclosure but it wont work please help me... Thanks .

A:Any last options for broken external hard drive?

As you have tried another hard drive in the external enclosure and it still would not work this suggests that the circuitry in the enclosure is faulty. All I can suggest is that you take the hard drive out of its case and hook it up to a desktop PC using the internal connections and set the jumper to slave if it is IDE. That might give you access to it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/any-last-options-for-broken-external-hard-drive.161838/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hi My Acer Aspire G just broke down all of a sudden this morning I looked HDD broken Aspire 6530 Acer Salvaging from away for one second and when i looked back the screen was suddenly pitch black There s a light that usually goes on when the AC adapter is connected but it won t now I had a spare AC adapter so I tried that one out too just to make sure even though the light on the AC adapter is on like it should nothing I try and remove battery etc etc and well the thing is pretty much dead I m not a techie Salvaging HDD from broken Acer Aspire 6530 but my guess is that the internal power supply power board this thing just decided to call it quits Of course that s just my uninformed guess The computer is years old and ironically I was one day late when I tried to extend the original year insurance to a year thing Since I wasn t all too happy with the laptop anyway I d Salvaging HDD from broken Acer Aspire 6530 be happy to move on and buy a new one while trying to get this one fixed of course but the last back-up I did was weeks ago and I have some stuff on it s hard drive I d prefer not to lose So while I d appreciate guesses of what could have gone wrong with the computer and how to fix it I m much much more interested in finding out how to get access to the data on the hard drive which i suppose should be intact - is that OK to assume I suppose I need to take it them out Like this and this But what would be the next spep how do I get access to the data on them Any help would be very much appreciated I don t have the post count to include URL s and I figure the right answer isn t to go spam the boards with my uninformed opinions that aren t likely to help anybody here are the links truncated acerlaptoprepairs info aspire- - g removing-the-power-board html acerlaptoprepairs info aspire- - g removing-the-main-hard-disk-drive-module html acerlaptoprepairs info aspire- - g removing-the-secondary-hard-disk-drive-module html EDIT I asked around on Facebook and it turns out a friend has a quot connect-SATA IDE HDD to computer through USB quot thing that he ll lend me so it seems I might be OK on that front Maybe I should move the focus to the question quot if my motherboard power board is kaputt is it likely the HDD will be fried too quot EDIT what is a power board really is it the same thing as a motherboard I can t find any reliable definition of it yet on that site quot acerlaptoprepars quot see the links above I can find information on how to remove the power board but nothing on the motherboard nbsp

A:Salvaging HDD from broken Acer Aspire 6530

If it's a faulty power board, ( likely to be a regulator chip ), it's very repairable.
The Data on your hard drive is almost certainly ok.
You can connect up the laptop's hard drive to another pc, (as a secondary drive) and explore the drive, save files off of it, no trouble.
But you won't be able to plug it into another pc as it's primary C, and expect it to boot into Windows. That's because windows checks if the other parts of the pc are the same as last time it booted, they won't be so it won't boot. The drive is likely to be fine, and you can use it again as a primary drive with your OS on it, in a different PC, as it was when new, but you will have to install Windows again onto it, together with all the other components you want to use.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/salvaging-hdd-from-broken-acer-aspire-6530.160451/
Relevancy 27.52%

I know this is the problem, but I have ZERO clue where to take this to be fixed. Just need some suggestions. It is an older Inspiron, but there was nothing wrong with it when it finally took its last charge.

A:DC Jack broken in Dell Inspiron

Preferably a laptop repair specialist I would guess. You don't want to start messing around with the electricity in a computer unless you know what you're doing. Not sure where you live, but there might be some authorized Dell service places.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dc-jack-broken-in-dell-inspiron.159291/
Relevancy 27.52%

Hi,

My pc has four usb ports on it, two on the back and two on the front. I plugged my memory stick in one of the front ports last night and the little red light on the stick on the stick came on but the computer wouldn't read anything on the stick. When I plugged it into a rear socket it read everything. What I find odd is that if I plug my stick into an extention usb and plug that into a front socket the computer will read the stick. Not only that but if I plug my printer, modem, stick, or anything else that needs to be plugged into a usb socket into my usb extention it all works when I plug the extention into a front port.

Can somebody explain this please?

A:USB ports not working properly?

Possibly you aren't inserting the flash drive all the way in?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/usb-ports-not-working-properly.158157/
Relevancy 27.09%

So my USB ports decided to stop working. I'm using Windows 7 and they were working fine this morning until I unplugged my USB devices and packed my computer, then when I came home, the ports stopped working. I have two ports and I've tried placing three different items (two mice and 1 webcam) in all the ports, no avail. Even the light under my mouse isn't lighting up. I restarted twice and when I go to device manager there are no exclamation marks or anything wrong under USB tab.

I even uninstalled all my USb serial controllers and restarted and they got installed back but still nothing. Then I disabled selective suspend and nothing too. =[
Any help guys? thanks!

A:USB ports randomly stopped working on Windows 7

I've noticed that nobody's replied to your post, so I figured I'd try to say at least a little something. I'm not too sure that it'd be of any help to you, but have you checked any settings in your BIOS that might be responsible for the control of it? It's probably a bit of a long shot but it can't hurt to check it out.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/usb-ports-randomly-stopped-working-on-windows-7.157829/
Relevancy 27.09%

Originally this thread was in the mobile computing section but I m starting to think this could be a mobo issue My USB ports decided to stop working I m using Windows and they were working fine this morning until I unplugged ports no working, longer from stemming mobo? USB my USB devices and packed my computer then when I came home the ports stopped working I USB ports no longer working, stemming from mobo? have two ports and I ve tried placing three different items two mice and webcam in all the ports no avail Even the light under my mouse isn t lighting up I restarted twice and when I go to device manager there are no exclamation marks or anything wrong under USB tab I even uninstalled all my USb serial controllers and restarted and they got installed back but still nothing Then I disabled selective suspend and nothing too I also tried going to each USB Root Hub and right click on it left click properties left click power management Uncheck the box allow computer to turn off this device to save power This didn t work as after I restarted it became checked again I also upgraded to the newest BIOs but still nothing Any ideas is this a mobo issue nbsp

A:USB ports no longer working, stemming from mobo?

Very odd symptoms... I'd suggest you try booting into an alternate non-Windows OS, if your USB ports still don't work then you've ruled out Windows and would say it must be mobo/hardware/BIOS related i'd think.

See step #2 in link below to download and try booting into Knoppix then see if your USB ports still don't work. See How to recover your folders/files when Windows won?t boot

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/usb-ports-no-longer-working-stemming-from-mobo.157848/
Relevancy 27.52%

I was wondering on how to open ports so i can run a server and be a host.
Can u please give me a simple guide on how to open ports on your router.
OR:
Is there any programs that can actually open ports on ur router for you?
cause im too lazy to do all that command promt stuff. but if using command prompt is the only wy ill do it.

Can u also teach me how to forward those ports to your router so that outside sources can access them.

A:How to open ports on your router

ragne2 said:

I was wondering on how to open ports so i can run a server and be a host.

Is there any programs that can actually open ports on ur router for you?
cause im too lazy to do all that command promt stuff. but if using command prompt is the only wy ill do it.Click to expand...

Opening a port is a goofy term - - let's start with just using a port.
For a port to exist, some program creates a socket and then uses it to LISTEN for connections. You can see this with (command prompt tool) netstat -oan
Programs which are awaiting connections show up like

Code:
TCP 0.0.0.0:[B]135 [/B]0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TCP 0.0.0.0:[B]445 [/B]0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TCP 0.0.0.0:[B]1030 [/B]0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TCP 0.0.0.0:[B]3389 [/B]0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TCP 0.0.0.0:[B]4186 [/B]0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TCP 0.0.0.0:[B]8019 [/B]0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TCP 0.0.0.0:[B]44334 [/B]0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TCP 0.0.0.0:[B]44501 [/B]0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
the nnn are the 'port numbers' created by the program.

Q? Which ports are open? A: only those that exist, eg: port 135 is open, and port 136 is closed (ie doesn't exist).
Regardless of your other setups for the router and firewall, the port is not open unless a program is LISTENING.

HOWEVER, that's only one-third of the story; two other conditions must be met

the firewall on that system must be configured to ALLOW traffic to the specific port(s) desired
and, if a system not on your LAN needs access to a program on that system, then
the router must port forward
Consider this network
Code:

ISP==modem/router
|
+ ------- System A
|
+-------- System B

if System A has the program (and the port is listening and the firewall allows)
then System B can get to it without concern for the router at all.[*]

Now if your friend in New York wants to connect to System A located in Los Angeles,
then the router must port foward.

Port Forwarding requires that the server address never change,
so first you need to arrange to have System A use a static IP address on your router.
Once that's correct, then, using the documentation for the program on system A, you add a port forward like
forward port xxx to IPaddress-for-systemA​
SO; get [*] to work first and then deal with the router

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-open-ports-on-your-router.157457/
Relevancy 27.09%

I've just finished installing a new motherboard (Asus P5P43TD) into a friend's computer about 2 hours ago and have been unable to get the USB ports working. I installed the chipset drivers, Ethernet controller drivers, and Asus EPU-4 drivers, but the USB ports simply do not function. Which means I have to do everything with a friggin keyboard. That has made things interesting to say the least. I grabbed the most recent chipset drivers off of Asus's website and it installed the SMBus drivers (which I beleive are responsible for USB) and everything else. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Specifications:
Motherboard: Asus P5P43TD
Video Card: XFX 8800 GTX
Sound Card: Creative Extreme Gamer
Hard drive, Optical drive, and PSU are unknown.

A:USB ports not working after drivers installed

Give this a shot. See How to Reinstall Your USB Controllers and Motherboard Chipset Drivers

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/usb-ports-not-working-after-drivers-installed.156598/
Relevancy 27.09%

Have a crappy emachine ( I didn't buy it my son's grandma did ) It died, mother board I am told. It has a nice burnt spot on it so I am pretty sure that's what it is. After reading about all the problems with emachines I do not want to try to fix it or pay anyone to fix it...it is junk! Problem is my son has 21 days worth of music on it and a lot of pictures. The money spent on the music is well worth me trying to retrive it. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

A:Wanna pull the info off my broken eMachine

Remove the hard disk, and purchase a external USB hard disk enclosure (3.5" for desktops/2.5" for laptops), and fit the disk in that.

Then you can access it by simply connecting the USB lead to another computer.

EDIT: Thats assuming its a SATA hard disk.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wanna-pull-the-info-off-my-broken-emachine.156378/
Relevancy 27.52%

Sorry to ask a stupid question but the pile of hard drives is building up.

When drives were small they lasted forever, I now have 4 drives that have become problematic and I did not want to dump until I have explored all options.

2 became buggy, causing chkdsk to run on every boot, 2 I formatted under acronis home 10, no all cannot be seen when plugged in in a usb holder or direct into the pc all are SATA.

Is there some prog that can probe them. 2 were fine until formatted.

Cheers

A:Unresponsive/broken? Hard drives Win 7

The hard drives manufacturers have diagnostic software available as free downloads. Google for these. SMART status must be checked on all suspect hard drives. If a drive fails the SMART status, it is to be considered bad or unreliable, regardless of platter or bad sector errors

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unresponsive-broken-hard-drives-win-7.155050/
Relevancy 27.52%

Hi for about 2 weeks ago i replaced my cpu fan with a salman for better cooling so i had to unplug my grafic card so nothing would happen to it and now when i plugged it in again my monitor is all black and the fan on the card goes on 100% or something like that. im using a ati 1550 now so i can get a vision on the monitor. please help me

Best reguards Alex

A:Broken graphics card?

try uninstalling current driver, installing the card, and botting up. if it works install the most recent driver.

other than that i don't see why a new cpu fan would disturb how your gfx card operates. post ur computer specs to us.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/broken-graphics-card.153341/
Relevancy 27.09%

when i insert any usb device including a usb flash drive, my laptop doesnt detect it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-4-usb-ports-on-my-hp-laptop-stopped-working.151460/
Relevancy 27.52%

Hello.

I have an Asus X56TA laptop. It worked like a charm until yesterday, when suddenly, without any warnings, my left hinge just broke off when I was closing the screen.

It seems that the hinge just got _completely_ stuck. Really, like it was made of solid concrete. So when the screen worked as a lever, it easily broke off.

To illustrate my problem, here are some pictures:

Anyone has any tips what to do with this? Is there any chance of making the hinge work again? If yes, I thought of using some very powerful glue to "repair" the hinge. The plastic cover is 100% OK, so I only need some usability

I also found a brand new hinge for my notebook model on eBay. Is it possible to remove the broken hinge and install the new one?

Thanks in advance for all the tips.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/asus-x56-left-hinge-broken.151335/
Relevancy 27.52%

Okay so i went to pick up my laptop and i grabbed it by the screen and my screen messed up. It looks like i have a air bubble under the screen. while my laptop is on about 90% of my sreen has a white spot with color lines running threw it.When it is shut off the mark looks like a deep black spot. The laptop is a compaq presario v5000. please if you know any way i might be able to fix it let me. thank you.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-screen-broken.151212/
Relevancy 26.66%

http://www.uxsight.com/product/45675/usb-music-lead-sound-tide-audio-controller.html
model : HY554

This is the sound card I bought for my laptop (Dell Inspirion E1505; about 4 years old) since its internal sound card broke. Within 1 day, the USB broke. I don't understand why the manufacturers would decide to create removable plastic coverings over the metals and wires - the top plastic can easily come off, and it's happened before but I just stick it back together. The next day, I'm unable to hear audio play through my earphones/speaker via the USB. I got it for $13 + tax at a cheap chinese tech store. (I went to a different chinese tech store too but it sold the exact same thing for a higher price)

I don't understand what went wrong for the metals and wires for the whole USB to not work anymore. can I fix this?

A:Can I fix a broken USB 3D Sound card (audio/microphone adapter)?

Buy new ones. Cost is less for replacement than the cost of fixing. Look for better qualtiy. Consider doing a gurgle search or go to TigerDirect,com, Directron.com, Frys.com, TechSpot.com or any of the hundred other computer parts places... or, of course, eBay, or BestBuy

They build them cheap, so you can buy them cheaply... but better ones are commonly available.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-i-fix-a-broken-usb-3d-sound-card-audio-microphone-adapter.150659/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hello all I am new to the Forum but after a with out in Mic AC'97 and Line Problem and Audio ports Realtek week Problem with Mic in and Line out ports and Realtek AC'97 Audio of searching for answers I figured mine must be a unique problem I ve had a no sound problem with my PC at work for sometime programs and browsers have always run perfectly but with no sound I suspected a disabled sound card but the PC has a sound card built in on the MB and it has always been enabled My second solution was out of date drivers and after seeing a yellow explanation mark next to my sound device I downloaded the appropriate driver as well as the latest DirectX for my OS WindowsXP I then proceded to download all available codecs for my built-in sound card the Realtek AC Audio model Complete specs will follow So far no good but with these was installed the Multi-Channel Audio Configuration program by Realtek which enabled me to see that upon inserting my speakers into the line-out it was being detected as mic-in Bizarre I tried fiddling about trying line-out in and mic ports on the front and rear of the pc but in every case all that was recognized was a Powered Speaker in Mic-In connector Anyway I downloaded a few media players with visualisation to make sure that the PC was indeed generating sound and it wasn t just failing to comprehend audio files completely admittedly this should have been an earlier move But everything was Ready Ok and installed status wise So then I m fiddling about again and I try running the Realtek Audio Configuration s connection check whilst playing some mp files in wmp my speakers currently in line-in And for seconds whilst the test is commencing I hear the first sound this computer has ever produced but upon this tests completion and the result that the powered speakers are apparently connected to Mic In the sound fails once more This has got me once again royally stumped and I ve filtered through many threads regarding the failure of the Realtek AC codecs drivers etc but I ve reinstalled all the necessary software countless times and feel this could possibly be a hardware malfunction Nevertheless I decided to put it in the audio thread sorry if I ve done the wrong thing Thanks to any helpers in advance Please help Spud Sound device Realtek AC Audio Manufac Realtek Status OK PNP Dev PCI VEN DEV amp SUBSYS A C amp REV amp AAA amp amp A IRQ Driver c alcxwdm sys nbsp

A:Problem with Mic in and Line out ports and Realtek AC'97 Audio

During your-

Spudrifle said:

fiddling aboutClick to expand...

did you try downloading and running OpenAL from here?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-with-mic-in-and-line-out-ports-and-realtek-ac97-audio.150038/
Relevancy 27.09%

Laptop is a 4 year old Alienware M5500 with the Intel Centrino 2.0. Let me know if anything else is relevant and needed.

My computer decided to perform some kind of fatal error while I was converting some music in Itune and then entered my Jump Drive into the computer. It shut itself off and wouldn't boot. I reformatted and reload my OS and it still wouldn't load. So I reset the bios by removing the battery and the back-up battery (little round one). And then the computer booted as usual.

Is there away to get them working again without having to re-format and reload the OS?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Everything is fine so far, just that my USB ports aren't functioning as USB 2.0 ports anymore. I tried resetting the bios once more (thought I did this in the past but can't really remember...)

A:My USB ports aren't recognized as USB 2.0 after reboot

Try this update..

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-usb-ports-arent-recognized-as-usb-2-0-after-reboot.149826/
Relevancy 27.52%

hi i have an acer 5920g, with an nvidia 8600m with windows 7, a few weeks ago i was playing batifield 2 and my laptop crashed, upon restarting the laptop the screen had lines down the screen and would not start any games or complex images such as in i tunes with the artwork, i have used system restore, and updated he drivers, i have also payed for a brand new anti virus and completed a full scan, somtimes the laptop will restart in the most basic colour settings i have ever seen and this usually happens after i have reinstalled the latest drivers nd restarted the system, device manager comes up with error code 3 if that helps at all, i have no idea if the card itself is broken or if there is som ther underlying problem, but i would be very grateful for any mor ideas

A:Graphic card broken

Desktop or laptop ?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/graphic-card-broken.149777/
Relevancy 27.52%

I installed a refurbished 2.5" notebook drive in one of my desktops hoping it would work but I can't get it to format, so I'm thinking it's busted. I tried to format it normally through Windows XP but it makes no progress at all. I ran chkdsk /r and it said the drive contains one or more unrecoverable errors. There was stuff on the drive before but i deleted the partition because it wasn't sensitive data.

I ran TestDisk and it said the structure of the disk was OK but when I ran Data Lifeguard the drive failed the SMART test or whatever. I think it said one attribute was indicating the drive was dying... bad sector or something. Anyways, is there any way to fix it or should i just scrap it? The drive doesn't make any sounds but like i said it's a refurb so all bets are off i suppose.

A:WD Scorpio (2500BEVS) broken?

Scrap it. Sometimes when running a harddrive diagnostics bad sectors can be repaired but with fails in chkdsk / r and S.M.A.R.T. and the fact they are unrecoverable it is time for a new one.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wd-scorpio-2500bevs-broken.148845/
Relevancy 27.52%

On my HP Windows XP desktop, audio and the USB ports stop working while the rest of the PC is working fine. The only way to recover is by rebooting the system. After reboot the audio and the ports work fine for a couple of days and the problem repeats. I have tried downloading the latest RealTek audio drivers and cleaning the Registry etc. Nothing has helped.

Any suggestions?

A:Problem with Audio and USB ports

What type of audio card do you have? Is it an add-on card? Is it a USB card?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-with-audio-and-usb-ports.147747/
Relevancy 25.8%

I have an EVGA 750i SLI FTW motherboard and recently (after moving the motherboard to a different case) there is no sound coming from the rear ports. When I connect headphones to the front, the sound works. Is it a sound card problem (I'm using the integrated card)? It's not a big deal, I can just pick up one for 20-30 bucks but I just want to know the problem beforehand. Thanks in advance.

A:Sound issues: back ports not working, front (headphone) port works

the front ports are most-likely canceling out the rear ports, unless you've dealt with a similar setup that worked fine.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sound-issues-back-ports-not-working-front-headphone-port-works.145564/
Relevancy 28.38%

The pin on hard drive broke am unable to put cable on it. What should I do to use it?

It is a seagate 120 gigs.

Thank you.

A:HHD pin broken

If the pin actually broke you are probably screwed. The only real way to fix it would be to swap the board/pins with another drive (identical model).

If they just bent you can unbend them enough with needle nose pliers and gently get a cable onto them.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hhd-pin-broken.145484/
Relevancy 26.66%

HDD health was 88%
Reset BIOS, didnt work.
after the xp loading screen, a black screen comes up for about 1-2 min.
Desktop is rly slow, then after a short black screen 1-2 sec. speed is normal(ish)
Computer usage 100%.
Most things run very slowly.
mobo done?
someone said i should change the ram sticks, and that they are causing the slowness and usb problems after an outage?

Its happened three times, first time, downloading xp service pack 3 helped.
second i just left it to sit for a week, then my laptop HDD gave up and i tried to hook up the PC again, no go. waited a day, tried again, works.
Then another power outage yesterday and im clueless.

A:Slow start up, usb ports not working after power outage

What caused the power outage, because it can explain a lot. Make sure it wasn't like a surge or anything.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/slow-start-up-usb-ports-not-working-after-power-outage.144432/
Relevancy 27.52%

hey electricity working, ps2 My ports no not there sory for my bad english my freind have a computer need to be formated becuse his windows has crashed there is a system file has been deleted so i tryed to format the pc but i enterd the cd then i pressed the del button so i can enter the bios screen but no such one button is worked the num caps scroll locks no one is on i tryed to light them but they didnt work so itryed an ibm keyboard but the all the lights keep lighting and disconnect i tryd the mouse lasr mouse with ps port but the laser light dosent work and the weel light dosent worked too finaly itrayd a usb keyboard but the usb doesnt work until windows start but i need to start bios and usb doesnt work and the ps so how i will boot from xp cd please heeeeeeeeeeelp sory for my bad english lt lt and for this story haaha nbsp

A:My ps2 ports not working, no electricity

Basically in bios setting mouse are not work.
you only use with keyboard.
without keyboard you unable to reinstall the XP. you check the mobo is it any damage occur in ps/2 connector.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-ps2-ports-not-working-no-electricity.143516/
Relevancy 27.95%

Hi everyone new to this site well i have installed 2 serial ports into a machine using a pci card running on windows xp the ports are used to run sewing machines well i got a old machine and a new one i plug the both in and the old one runs perfect but the new one will run but it fails alot i can send the data to it sometimes and it runs and sometimes it dont well it aint the software setting or the sewing machine becasue they run on other computers so i am guessing there is a fault with the com setting as they read irq setting 21 anyone got any ideas thanx...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/serial-ports.143404/
Relevancy 27.09%

Im using uTorrent and i got the error saying that my port was closed. I tried opening a port on my Belkin wireless N router. Model number is F5D8233-4v3. I check the port that I tried to open on these two sites but it says that its closed:
http://www.canyouseeme.org
http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

I have the firewall turned off and also used the virtual server tool and added an inbound port and a private port with the same port number. No luck though. Any help would be appreciate.

A:Belkin Router Opening Ports

See www.portforward.com for help.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/belkin-router-opening-ports.142710/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hi!

I have a computer being used at home as a server for backing up to etc.

Is there any way that I can use both ethernet ports on my mobo to link to the router to allow more bandwidth for this PC?

This isn't linked to internet speed at all, I realise that. It's so that I can get the most speed out of multiple tasks like streaming music, backing up etc.

Any help will be appreciated.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/increase-network-bandwidth-using-2-ethernet-ports.141815/
Relevancy 27.52%

Hello all Yesterday after turning on my comp and loading up COD Modern Warfare my computer completely froze This has never happened before in the years I ve had this comp and I was unable to alt f ctrl alt del or do anything so I had to do a hard reset by holding the power button When it started to boot up I saw weird grey lines in a Matrix the movie like patterns running down the Bios screen After logging into Windows via password it seemed as if the monitor turned off and everything went black yet the computer was still running I searched online to see any solutions and tried disabling the video cards through safe mode Safe mode was able to boot up but had these plaid green squares in it identical to the squares in the topic of quot Plaid green squares and gaming issues quot over at Tech Support Forums I can t post any links sorry I was able to disable the video cards and after restarting I was able to successfully log into windows The green squares were still there and sometimes when I toyed around with the resolution random red pixels would be scattered throughout the screen I tried disabling and enabling the video cards several times and it seems that when it is disabled I am able to log into Graphic Broken Card? windows but when it is enabled after typing my password into windows the monitor displays nothing and goes black I also tried downloading new drivers from Nvidia have Nvidia geforce GX but nothing worked Eventually I wiped the HD and reinstalled windows downloading new drivers for all parts but the same problem also existed I even Broken Graphic Card? got solid red plaid squares at the screen where it says to choose which mode you would like Broken Graphic Card? to boot up in ie Safe Mode Safe Mode with Networking Safe Mode with Command Prompt etc I opened it up and cleaned out the video card and reseated it yet the problem is still there I am convinced that it is the video card problem but have no real way to test it out because I have no other computer or video card Broken Graphic Card? Are there any other ways to make sure it is indeed the video card before I go and buy a new one heh Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Broken Graphic Card?

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but...
Your graphics card is artifacting. Compare with some classic examples here
http://images.google.co.nz/imgres?i...=video+card+artifact+pictures&hl=en&sa=X&um=1

The checkerboard pattern is a textbook example of having a "cooked" GPU. This particular card is known to run very hot and even a small build up of collected dust would raise this even further. Unfortunately the damage is irreversible.

As you have two seperate cards connected by an internal SLI bridge, even narrowing down the fault to doubly hard over a single GPU card.
You'll need to buy a new card.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/broken-graphic-card.141216/
Relevancy 27.09%

Odd situation that I have come across.

One of my clients has a western digitial 500gb external usb hard drive. It has it's own power supply and was working fine for what I was told. Anyway, once it is plugged in all of the usb drives on the PC die. The usb mouse, laptop cooler, and usb speakers lose connection. After a quick reboot they all start working again.

Now I know that when this happens its usually lack of power supply or a bad usb port. But any of them that I try it has the same effect. Also, it happens on my laptop as well when I tried to test it.

Now before I tell them to consider it a loss and buy another external. Anyone with ideas?

A:USB External Hard drive kills all usb ports

There is one thing you fail to mention...
Have you tried a different power supply for the drive?
USB ports supply some of the power, but if it's own power supply is defective, it's not going to work.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/usb-external-hard-drive-kills-all-usb-ports.141033/
Relevancy 28.38%

i cant use my usb ports so i decided to use driver detective to see whats the problem and
it shows that it doesn't have any drivers how do i fix this i cant do anything without it i just installed
xp service pack 2

A:I can't use my USB ports

USB device drivers install automatically. What you do is go into Windows Device Manager, uninstall and then re-install USB.

Start -> right-click My Computer -> Manager -> Device Manager -> uninstall each USB and re-install

Reply back if this doesn't work.

-- Andy

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-cant-use-my-usb-ports.140232/
Relevancy 27.52%

Hello Techspot Yesterday my friend sent me a link to a photo on MSN which was actually a virus Its one of those messenger bug things that sends itself to other people Although through research many people Is Card Graphics Broken? my said it was harmless and following the virus removal steps on this site I downloaded Malware bytes who promptly found and deleted the infected files Anyway recently my display has been acting up Its been freezing games projecting empty pixels over my screen and just generally being broken My Graphics card is years old GT Is my Graphics Card Broken? and heavily used i m wondering if it s finally given up or if that virus I got has upset it or if something else is at fault I have just recently downloaded all new graphics drivers but that has not done anything So the question is How can I tell if its my a physical problem with my graphics card or something more sinister software related Thank You NZvista PS Have been getting Windows errors such as quot Video Hardware Error quot Problem Event Name LiveKernelEvent OS Version Locale ID BCCode BCP C BCP FF C BCP BCP OS Version Service Pack Product EDIT One of the major things that happens is I get a yellow error triangle bottom right in the task bar which was a pop up saying A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly And then goes on to say its successfully restarted nbsp

A:Is my Graphics Card Broken?

Bump,

Neeeeeeeed help. I reformatted my computer and its still playing up. The 3d games get coloured squares all through them, im so lost as to what to do.

Thankyou

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-my-graphics-card-broken.139915/
Relevancy 27.52%

First off, excuse my ignorance, but I'm new here and I'm really new to technology and as far as recognizing part names. I have a emachines t4892, more like a project for me, and the video part that is solder onto the motherboard is broken. I want to take that one out and put in a new one. Problem I'm having is finding this piece, and i really don't know the correct term for it. I'd appreciate any help I can get.

A:Broken video port on motherboard

You could just use the AGP 8x slot on the Motherboard and put a video card in that
Note: AGP 8x is also very old technology now, but if you find an old AGP Video card it may just work

You can also chat with eMachines Support, to work out what part you are talking about:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/broken-video-port-on-motherboard.139553/
Relevancy 27.09%

In Broken HDD iPod's - HPA and custom around getting firmware as External the past I ve found that a broken mp player s hard drive can come in handy as an external if you can find an adapter enclosure to fit it Broken iPod's HDD as External - getting around HPA and custom firmware Recently my friend s iPod ended up broken so I decided to try it with the HDD that was in it HDD toshiba mk gah So here s Broken iPod's HDD as External - getting around HPA and custom firmware the issue I tried erasing formatting the drive with Windows XP and OS X XP doesn t even list the drive in the disc manager but still lists it under hardware manager Windows lists it in hardware manager but can t format or erase OS X recognizes it and sees its size model etc but can t erase I ve done a lot of digging and read that even HDDGURU s Wipe Tool and Atola s HDD Capacity Restore aren t effective Apparently Apple has put an HPA DCO on the drive and then special firmware and the only way to remove this is with special hardware Any ideas or thoughts I d like to find a hard drive firmware repair tool that I can buy online but it seems most companies only list product info on their sites no online buying option nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/broken-ipods-hdd-as-external-getting-around-hpa-and-custom-firmware.138334/
Relevancy 27.52%

got an gts using a P vd -x motherboard Using XP and the computer is years old Was my sure card Not is if broken or motherboard video playing a game when it froze and purple lines appeared on the screen rebooted the PC it had purple lines on the screen while booting up but not in windows In windows its is running slow when looking at websites seems to redraw the screen while scrolling down There s a yellow exclamation mark next to the video card on the device manager Says quot cannot start device error code quot Did a search on that but nothing really helpul So my mate lent me his spare card i put that straight in but the computer had the same purple lines got into windows then crashed Not sure if my video card or motherboard is broken reset itself but wouldnt get by the very start off boot up saying an error message that sounded serious and wouldnt even boot up at all Put my original card back in and it booted up with the purple lines that then dissapeared once in windows it said windows had recovered from a critical system failure So i can use the computer in windows but if the website has any graphics on it it scrolls down very slowly Also i cant load up any games as they will crash quickly Should my friends card have worked just by plugging it in as its an nvidia card as well Not sure now if my video card is broken or the motherboard I havent re-installed the crivers which i will but im sure that wont make any diffrence nbsp

A:Not sure if my video card or motherboard is broken

Well, it seems that it's the motherboard as two cards failing is quite a coincidence. It could be a problem with the PCI-E slot. Not sure though.

I suggest that you re-seat everything on the motherboard.Then uninstall and reinstall all video drivers. If that doesn't help just try a fresh install of the OS and drivers.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/not-sure-if-my-video-card-or-motherboard-is-broken.137658/
Relevancy 27.52%

got an gts card if is broken Not sure motherboard video or my using a P vd -x motherboard Using XP and the computer is years old Was playing a game when it froze and purple lines appeared Not sure if my motherboard or video card is broken on the screen rebooted the Not sure if my motherboard or video card is broken PC it had purple lines on the screen while booting up but not in windows In windows its is running slow when looking at Not sure if my motherboard or video card is broken websites seems to redraw the screen while scrolling down There s a yellow exclamation mark next to the video card on the device manager Says quot cannot start device error code quot Did a search on that but nothing really helpul So my mate lent me his spare card i put that straight in but the computer had the same purple lines got into windows then crashed reset itself but wouldnt get by the very start off boot up saying an error message that sounded serious and wouldnt even boot up at all Put my original card back in and it booted up with the purple lines that then dissapeared once in windows it said windows had recovered from a critical system failure So i can use the computer in windows but if the website has any graphics on it it scrolls down very slowly Also i cant load up any games as they will crash quickly Should my friends card have worked just by plugging it in as its an nvidia card as well Not sure now if my video card is broken or the motherboard I havent re-installed the crivers which i will but im sure that wont make any diffrence nbsp

A:Not sure if my motherboard or video card is broken

don't be so sure about the drivers not making a difference, do that first and holler back. It does sound like a hardware problem however. more like memory however. run memtest after you reinstall the video drivers.
http://www.memtest.org/

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/not-sure-if-my-motherboard-or-video-card-is-broken.137659/
Relevancy 27.52%

Astra says I need to install some usb drivers for My computer is a compaq presario us I don t think it How I I think any determine can which USB didn't ports but.. I are had 2.0? has usb unless one of my pci cards one of which also needs drivers apparently is actually usb but it doesn t look like a usb port yeah neither of my pci cards which I don t know what they are are usb I don t believe Processor Processor Intel Pentium MHz CPU Clock MHz x MHz QDR Level Cache kB k uOp data instr Level Cache kB Motherboard System Name Compaq US Motherboard Vendor Compaq Computer Corporation Board Model Compaq E h BIOS Version Compaq BIOS Chipset Name Intel G GL GV Brookdale-G GL GV Chipset Vendor Intel Corporation Chipset G GL GV Brookdale Host-Hub Interface How can I determine which USB ports are 2.0? I didn't think I had any but.. Bridge A -step Southbridge Vendor Intel Corporation Southbridge DB DBL ICH ICH -L LPC Interface Bridge The report is truncated in the DEMO version End of Report oh they cut out the rest of the report because I have the free version I ll have to type it out hold on OK So Before I click on the device in the report it lists this particular usb device as DB DBL USB EHCI Controller ICH ICH -L A step So I m trying to figure out which usb ports they are claiming are So I click on it for the details Driver Status Drivers for this device are not installed Device Class Unknown Device Descripton Universal Serial Bus usb controller Device location PCI bus device function All the USB devices above the device which has no drivers and claims to be list like this DB DBL USB EHCI Controller ICH ICH -L A step DB DBL USB EHCI Controller ICH ICH -L A step DB DBL USB EHCI Controller ICH ICH -L A step DB DBL USB EHCI Controller ICH ICH -L A step lt ----this is the only one that says it needs drivers installed When I click one of the ones listed that does not say and has a number after the controller it says the drivers are installed properly here s how it reads Driver status the device is working properly Manufacuter standard usb host controller Device Description Standard Universal PCI to USB Host Controller Device Class USB Device Location PCI bus device function and function and function respectively for the other USB devices that have drivers listed as installed -The one that has a problem say it s a quot Universal Serial Bus usb controller quot where as the ones with drivers installed say quot Standard Universal PCI to USB Host Controller quot I Don t get it Now there s also a PCI device that doesn t have drivers Drivers status The drivers for this device are not installed Device Description Ethernet Controller Device Class Unknown Device Bus PCI device function is this one of my PCI CARDS I just bought this computer so I m not sure what are taking up the PCI slots there s total and free I would like to remove the items I m not using from the PCI slots as well and understand how I can utilize just one of the PCI busses for my new ATI or nVidia soundcard I will be installing but perhaps this should I should start another thread for that Are PCI busses the same as IRQ s or what I mean is should I set my soundcard to have it s own PCI BUS number as well as it s own IRQ number thanks a great deal trying to learn nbsp

A:How can I determine which USB ports are 2.0? I didn't think I had any but..

1) If you go to the HP website, click on support, click for Download drivers and enter your make/model you get to the driver page for your computer here. Download the USB 2.0 driver from their site

2) As to exactly which ports are connected to that controller... it'll be trial and error. If you connect a USB 2.0 device (like an external USB disk) to a non-USB 2.0 you'll get a little pop up message telling you "This device could run faster... etc.". So just try out all your ports once the driver is installed

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-can-i-determine-which-usb-ports-are-2-0-i-didnt-think-i-had-any-but.136376/
Relevancy 27.95%

Hello Everyone I have a friend who s just acquired a pc but when they tried to use their wireless ports Keep usb losing usb modem it didn t recognize it So I said to try a different usb device and see if it works None of the usb ports would recognize any of the devices so I uninstalled and Keep losing usb ports rebooted and let windows reinstall the drivers This time the first usb port I put the modem in said it didn t recognize the usb device I put it in the next usb port and it recognized the modem So I left it as is Because they only wanted the internet to work I said that they may need to update the drivers Anyway later on that night the usb for some reason decided it wouldn t read the modem again So the next day I done the same thing uninstall the drivers I done it three times until I decided to have a look and see if I could trouble shoot it Keep losing usb ports But it didn t say anything helpful Anyway I brought up the remove usb device safely window and it had a list of usb storage masses in use But it had only the keyboard and the modem connected So I stopped all the supposed devices and put the usb modem back in and this time it recognized the modem It lasted all day and night until they turned off the pc and returned the next day to use it again Same thing again The Usb ports didn t work So I ve repeated the steps again just the once and closed all the quot supposed quot devices again And now the usb modem is up and running and the usb ports are working For now until they turn off the pc So I m curious what would be causing this Now I hope everyone reading this post hasn t fallen asleep lol It turned out longer than I expected And thank you in advance for any help wave nbsp

A:Keep losing usb ports

Oh and the operating system is Windows XP home edition

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/keep-losing-usb-ports.135811/
Relevancy 27.52%

I ve found myself in need of a computer that I can hook up to my TV and use of (one broken desktop my them Rebuilding anyways) for Hulu and other digital media streaming services as well as my music collection etc I have a desktop that s a few years old bought around It somehow failed strangely and won t load an OS anymore fails to boot from CD tried a different drive Rebuilding my broken desktop (one of them anyways) tried a floppy boot disk all the same system fails Anyways I ve decided to use the case HDD DVD-ROM drive and mouse keyboard from this and replace the Motherboard the CPU the RAM and thus the Power supply old one is only -pin new motherboard I m planning on getting is pin So I have case that will fit a microATX motherboard or possibly larger motherboard Floppy drive Not necessary to hook up no use for it really DVD-RW drive IDE GB IDE HDD quot LCD monitor USB keyboard USB mouse I need Motherboard CPU RAM Power supply So I have decided on some hardware from Newegg and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions advice warnings etc Motherboard http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E CPU http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E OR http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E The one with the slower FSB should work fine no Just I won t get the MHz FSB speed only the MHz which is really all I need and since I m trying to stay at a max of if I can cut out like by going with an MHz FSB instead of MHz great why not RAM http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E Power supply http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E nbsp

A:Rebuilding my broken desktop (one of them anyways)

Hi Pyro,
i would replace that PSU with this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139008

and just a consideration as an alternative http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128357

other than that, for what you are doing with it...nice choices

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/rebuilding-my-broken-desktop-one-of-them-anyways.135963/
Relevancy 27.52%

Sony Vaio Laptop Need help repairing

Hi everyone.

I have a laptop, which has got some problems instead of me wanting to invest in a new laptop or netbook. I would rather make it work, because I am a University student and am low on cash.

The laptop is a Sony Vaio X505 it was given to me by my brother. So the problem with this one is the backlight / inverter has stopped working.

I would like someone to point me in the right direction as I dont know what would work on it because it is to complex to open and would rather not open it unless i found a replacement backlight.

Thanks in advance!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/2-broken-sony-vaio-laptops.135841/
Relevancy 28.38%

I have a real simple question. How can you tell on the device manager which one has the mouse and keyboard attached to that port? It does not show on my new computer
but it does on my old one. I am trying to help somebody with their problems. What do I not understand? Thanks

Relevancy 27.95%

I have two questions and hope both can be addressed by this forum. I have a 1T hard drive which when connected is recognized as only 32mb which I believe is the size of the cache. I didn't connect it for a couple of months after purchase so I no longer have any purchase info. Could the problem be the curcuit board attached or something internal? Additionally, I have a gateway E4000 desktop which is fine otherwise until I connect an external usb device (thumb drive, solid-state external hard drive, etc) - the pc reboots for no apparent reason. Any ideas as to why?

A:1T Drive and USB Ports

Is your BIOS up to date?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/1t-drive-and-usb-ports.133830/