Windows Support Forum

Blue screen & now won't start in safe mode, screen goes black

Q: Blue screen & now won't start in safe mode, screen goes black

I received the following error message when I attempted to restart my computer:

C0000218 Unknown Hard Error

When I restarted after the blue screen it went into a check disk but would not finish the scan.

I have tried to start the computer in safe mode with internet connection and after a few minutes the screen goes black. I've tried to start it using last known configuration and the screen goes black. Everything I try ~ the screen goes black.

Help!!!!

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Blue screen & now won't start in safe mode, screen goes black

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Blue screen & now won't start in safe mode, screen goes black

I'm writing from my husband's laptop because my desktop is completely dead.

We were out of town for several days and when we returned my desktop was running very slow so I attempted to restart it. It locked up, I pressed/held the power button and when it restarted it attempted to run a disk check. The disk check locked up and I had to press/hold the power button again. When it restarted I got a blue screen ~ stop: C0000218 unknown hard error.

Sometimes when I attempt to restart it I get: checking file system on C:
file system = NTFS

When I attempt to restart it in safe mode, safe mode with networking or starting in last known good configuration I get . . .

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\windows\appPatch\drvmain.sdb
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\windows\system32\drivers\ . . . (various items)

Now it won't start, not even in safe mode. Everything I try ~ I just get a black screen.

** I just tried to restart AGAIN and it ran disk scan, said it had completed disk scan and would restart, the screen went black when it attempted to restart and the screen is still black and it won't restart.

What can I do to get my computer back?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/blue-screen-now-wont-start-in-safe-mode-screen-goes-black.811055/
Relevancy 87.42%

Hello I am trying to fix an HP G - DX Notebook PC Operating to safe From then screen screen and lock blue blink black mode, caps sys Win bit AMD Turion tm II Dual-Core Processor GB GHz I had this laptop since December of and on June of is when I used my notebook PC and was initially of no use I have been working on my laptop on and off since I am not afraid to open the sucker up and get this thing up and running The problem started out with what most ppl call it the quot blue screen of death quot Like most ppl I did ignore the blue screen and did a restart which brought me to the normal Windows screen From blue screen to safe mode, then black screen and caps lock blink and then it would start back up just fine I found this in Device From blue screen to safe mode, then black screen and caps lock blink Manager s Hidden Files Non-Plug and Play Drivers - ehdrv - epfwwfp - Security Processor Loader Driver I am not sure if it has anything to do with what it was the blue screen situation but I tried searching on the net on what it all meant and to see if I was able to fix it but before I was able to do something about it the blue screen kept From blue screen to safe mode, then black screen and caps lock blink popping up and it was getting worse The problem progressed to where on Windows startup it would just stop there blue screen would pop up and of course I had to restart it and do an F key press for Safe Mode I had to work on Safe Mode for a good couple of weeks before I can figure out the problem s I believe I had went into the system and found out it had something to do with some kind of error sigh I did write it down but that was like a month ago and I am unable to locate my notes It s frustrating being careless Any way my notebook PC will not start at all I did remove the battery and left the adapter plugged in to removing the adapter and doing a hard reset no justice The notebook would sound like it is about to start but all you can hear is the fan running and the lights with the caps lock blink sequence of ONCE every - seconds no beeping sound I may have changed something though I went as far as learning how to properly with the static free bracelette unscrewed the laptop apart to see if cleaning the fan would be the cause of it Nothing happened but instead of the caps lock blinking ONCE every - seconds it would blink TWICE every - seconds So I went back and checked if everything was put back together memory stick and such and now when i restart it it would BEEP times and the caps lock would blink THRICE every - seconds And so here I am Please help nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/from-blue-screen-to-safe-mode-then-black-screen-and-caps-lock-blink.1104596/
Relevancy 87.42%

Windows appears to load normally until reaching the logon screen at which point 2 quick cmd windows flash on the screen and i'm left with a cursor and a plain blue screen.

No access to task manager through ctrl+alt+del.

I was thinking it's a video card problem until i plugged in an external monitor and saw a windows error box pop up saying that the program running requires that you not be on battery power.

Pulled the drive and scanned with avast and malwarebytes which found nothing.

Inserted Vista DVD but the repair function is only able to find the HP Restore partition and is unable to locate any backups.

The system runs "mini XP" from Hirens Boot without a problem, but no diagnostics that i ran have been able to find any issues...

Ideas?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/371560/vista-boots-into-blue-screen-w-cursor-black-screen-in-safe-mode/
Relevancy 87.11%

I m having a problem with my Dell Dimension running Windows XP I have an g Maxtor HD as my main drive and a g WD secondary drive When I attempt to boot I get a blue screen with the message A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer If this is he first time you ve seen this Stop error screen restart your computer If this screen appears again Screen Can't Black Blue (Standard Screen w/cursor Mode), boot then XP Windows Safe or follow these steps Check to be sure you have adequate disk space If a driver is identified in the Stop message disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates Try changing video adapters Check with your Can't boot Windows XP (Standard or Safe Mode), Black Screen w/cursor then Blue Screen hardware vendorm for any BIOS updates Can't boot Windows XP (Standard or Safe Mode), Black Screen w/cursor then Blue Screen Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components restart your computer press F to select Advanced Startup Options and then select Can't boot Windows XP (Standard or Safe Mode), Black Screen w/cursor then Blue Screen Safe Mode Technical Information STOP x E xC xF BB B xF E AO xF E AO FLTMGR SYS - Address F BB B base at F A DateStamp daAs far as the info in the message I see this screen with the same info everytime I rebooted As far as disk space my main drive is g aand I have about g of free space I m not sure if anything in the message refers to drivers Not sure how to change video adapters when I can t get into Windows Standard Mode or Safe Mode Also not sure how to deal with any of the BIOS suggestions or even know if it s a good idea to mess with it Again I cannot even boot to Safe Mode It takes me to the same Blue Screen message I have been able to boot from the CD I get to the Windows Setup screen it loads files It then says it s Starting Windows then takes me to the Windows XP Home Edition Setup It gives me the choices To set up Window XP now press Enter To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console press R To quit Setup without installing Windows XP press F I pressed R and in the Recovery Console it shows C WINDOWSI press as this is the only Windows installation I have It then takes me to the Command Prompt C WINDOWS gt I have run CHKDSK and got this message The volume appears to be in good condition and was not checked Use p if you want to check the volume anyway kb total disk space kb are available bytes in each allocation unit total allocation units on disk allocation units available on disk I have also run CHKDSK r and it found and fixed one or more errors After I exited and tried to reboot from the HD and got the same BSOD with same message I don t know if this is a virus or hardware software problem I do have Malwarebytes Anti-Virus and Norton on the PC but without Windows XP I m not sure how to run them I have also booted from Hirems Boot CD and have run all the hardware tests checked HDs memory video etc I could and have found no problems Any light you could shed on this would be greatly appreciated Thanks in advance Dave

A:Can't boot Windows XP (Standard or Safe Mode), Black Screen w/cursor then Blue Screen

mod bump

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/385215/cant-boot-windows-xp-standard-or-safe-mode-black-screen-wcursor-then-blue-screen/
Relevancy 81.53%

Windows only opens in safe mode,tried reloading drivers, last known good configuration,etc. When in normal mode black screen only, when acessing task manager shows all processes stopped and will not allow me to start them.

A:Black screen when start in normal mode, works in safe mode only.

Hello CliffordJ. Microsoft Security Essentials is installed, correct? Many MSE users running Vista (but not all) suffered black screen after login following installation of Update for Microsoft Security Essentials - 4.9.218.0 (KB3140527), released about a month ago. In fact there is already a thread here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/606422/windows-vista-x64-bksod-after-login-or-no-access-in-normal-mode-suspect-mse/. The posters there disabled MSE 4.9 in Safe Mode by unticking a brand-new setting in the UI (Administrator > Turn on this app). Another method of escaping this situation would be to restore your system to a point before the update was installed, then hide the update in Windows Update. That would allow you to resume using MSE 4.8 if you wish.

I am extremely curious why this happens to many but not all MSE users running Vista. If more advanced forum members ask you for further information, I hope you will cooperate. Above all, I wonder if any other security software with real-time protection is installed (or perhaps improperly uninstalled)? Of course there is a possibility that your issue is something else...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/609537/black-screen-when-start-in-normal-mode-works-in-safe-mode-only/
Relevancy 111.37%

My desktop PC begins to start up like normal, however after the little horizontalloadin bar disappears the screen goes black and the monitor actually goes into idle mode. I have no cursor and CTRL+ALT+DELETE is no good. If i reboot I'm able to start up in safe mode both with and without network support. I've tried to restore the system which didn't work. I bought the PC with Vista Home Premium on it so have no install disc. If anyone can help i would really appreciate it. I'm new to this. I've not recently installed anything or ran any updates...Thanks

Relevancy 111.37%

I recently came home to my computer off and when I in mode regular Screen start-up Black on and safe went to turn it back on it started up with a black screen after the windows logo with just the cursor available Things like ctrl-alt-delete did nothing Black Screen on start-up in regular and safe mode so I tried booting up Black Screen on start-up in regular and safe mode in safe mode which ended up with same black screen and cursor I then went to search the internet for possible fixes and have done verified the following Used boot CD and ran Start-up Black Screen on start-up in regular and safe mode repair told me to remove any mp players or USB devices and try starting again didn't work nothing was connected in the first place The start-up repair log appears to identify no problems with the system It's not a hardware issue the drive itself has been checked on another computer and I've already used a new drive and installed a new copy of windows using the same computer Not a virus issue scanned the drive for viruses and did a chkdsk on it neither of which turned up anything Unfortunately there are no restore points saved so I can't just revert to an older profile Since I can access the drive on another computer is there any program I could run to try and fix the problem This seems to be the only thing that hasn't been covered in other topics similar to this one which I've found online This is my last resort so any help that you can provide will be greatly appreciated Thanks

A:Black Screen on start-up in regular and safe mode

Did you take the cover off and make sure all cables are connected, make sure that your RAM is seated properly. Just anything that might be loose. From what you say, the HDD seems to be OK. It would seem that making sure everything is connected OK would be the next step. Let us know.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/324547-black-screen-start-up-regular-safe-mode.html
Relevancy 111.37%

HI,

i HAVE A BLACK SCREEN ON STARTUP. F8 WON'T WORK, SO I CANNOT ACCESS SAFE MODE, LAST KNOWN CONFIGURATION... ETC.

IF I VERY QUICKLY PRESS ESCAPE, I CAN GET OPTIONS FOR F1, F2, F9, F10, AND F11 (THOUGH THE LATTER, SYSYEM RECOVERY, JUST PLUNGES ME INTO MORE BLACK)

F2 - SYSTEM DIAGNOSTICS - TAKES ME TO VARIOUS OPTIONS WHERE I CAN TEST OR TUNE THE SYSTEM, HARD DISK, MEMORY, BATTERY ETC. I'VE DONE THE QUICK TESTS ON MOST OF THESE AND EVBERYTHING SEEMS TO PASS WITHOUT ERRORS.

THE MACHINE SEEMS TO BE WHIRRING ALONG AS IT USUALLY DOES, THE FAN IS FINE, NO BAD SOUNDS OR DEAD AREAS.

I'M RUNNING WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM ON A HP COMPAQ CQ58 LAPTOP.

PLEASE HELP, R

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/545983/black-screen-on-start-up-cant-access-safe-mode-etc/
Relevancy 111.37%

HI,

i HAVE A BLACK SCREEN ON STARTUP. F8 WON'T WORK, SO I CANNOT ACCESS SAFE MODE, LAST KNOWN CONFIGURATION... ETC.

IF I VERY QUICKLY PRESS ESCAPE, I CAN GET OPTIONS FOR F1, F2, F9, F10, AND F11 (THOUGH THE LATTER, SYSTEM RECOVERY, JUST PLUNGES ME INTO MORE BLACK)

F2 - SYSTEM DIAGNOSTICS - TAKES ME TO VARIOUS OPTIONS WHERE I CAN TEST OR TUNE THE SYSTEM, HARD DISK, MEMORY, BATTERY ETC. I'VE DONE THE QUICK TESTS ON MOST OF THESE AND EVERYTHING SEEMS TO PASS WITHOUT ERRORS.

THE MACHINE SEEMS TO BE WHIRRING ALONG AS IT USUALLY DOES, THE FAN IS FINE, NO BAD SOUNDS OR DEAD AREAS.

I'M RUNNING WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM ON A HP COMPAQ CQ58 LAPTOP.

PLEASE HELP, R

A:black screen on start up, can't access safe mode etc

Is therer a blinking cursor in the upper left corner?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/546095/black-screen-on-start-up-cant-access-safe-mode-etc/
Relevancy 110.94%

I have run several scans on my comp with super anti-virus malware bytes and microsoft security essentials I have even used the online scanner at microsoft com and they say I am virus free Yet today someone accessed Cannot the blue mode...I safe in screen. get start the ftp panel of my website with my stolen password and uploaded files with trojan viruses I am not the most computer literate and posess only basic skills at this point I was told that super antispyware could be run in safe mode and would Cannot start in safe mode...I get the blue screen. detect any remaining problems that way Everytime I try to log into safe mode it goes to the blue screen that says windows had to be shut down The message indicates I should run chkdsk f to look for hard drive problems When I click the start menu and then run and type in chkdsk f it says it cant be found I dont know if I have a virus or some other technical problem going on I cannot start windows in any form of safe mode ie safe mode safe mode with networking or safe mode with command prompt Can someone tell me what I should do James

A:Cannot start in safe mode...I get the blue screen.

Hi .Can you login to XP normally? I don't see any indication, I see several references to booting into safe mode.What is the exact BSOD error message that you received?Why...are you trying to boot into safe mode?System manufacturer and model?Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/305974/cannot-start-in-safe-modei-get-the-blue-screen/
Relevancy 110.94%

first the black screen pops up about a hard/software change but i can not get passed the blue screen many thank yous

A:help cannot start in safe or any mode blue screen thanks

You should provide us with more information. What is the error message you get on the blue screen ?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/help-cannot-start-in-safe-or-any-mode-blue-screen-thanks-78536.html
Relevancy 110.94%

My son turned on his computer this evening and got the dreaded blue screen. Says "stop c000021a (Fatal System Error) The windows logon process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0x0000135 (0x00000000) (0x00000000)
The system has been shut down."

This happens starting up with or without safe mode.

Any suggestions?
Is it a virus or hard drive problem?
Thank for any help.

A:blue screen-won't even start in safe mode

If you can, reboot the computer and after the initial screen start tapping the F8 key. If the option "last known good configuration" is offered, arrow down/up to it and select Enter. Give it some time to do it's job and hopefully that will work. More reading here:http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;156669

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/195216/blue-screen-wont-even-start-in-safe-mode/
Relevancy 110.94%

I recently attempted defragmenting my registry with Registry Medic Screen Blue Safe Mode up, Pls no start help! at or smth like that imidiatly after the restart I was not able to access my computer at all Safe mode generates the same error massage as the normal start up The Win startup recovery can not fix the problem I m attaching a pic of the blue screen It flashes for a few seconds and then the computer restarts My hardware is as follows toshiba satelite P -S Laptop Intel core Duo T ATI radeon OperaTION SYSTEM WIN x Ultimate Pls help I have some very important files on my hard drive As for viruses I have Avast free and Malewarebytes I had a suspicion that a facebook application by the name of quot Things You Never Say To A Teacher quot has added smth to the registry and Blue Screen at start up, no Safe Mode Pls help! that is why I attempted a clean and a defrag it in the first place Unfortunately stupidly I did not back it up first Is there a way to at least save my files Here is the pic of the error sorry if its a bit smuggy it was taken with a cell phone Main error code STOP x F nbsp

Relevancy 110.94%

I hope this is the right place I have suspicions that a virus may be involved somehow though I myself can t verify it The problem whenever I try to boot into safe mode with on my laptop Alienware m x--please hold all snickering until my problem is solved plz it either fails the execute all the necessary processes or throws a bsd at me before the login screen can appear This is troubling on its own but my girlfriend s laptop Latitude D has started to do the same thing same error numbers on the bsd and everything in addition to not booting in normal mode at all The only similarity I can see between the two is that they were both exposed to a w beagle virus some time last week I honestly don t know what exactly this virus does but from what I ve skimmed it seems to download other malicious software Blue on Mode Safe Screen Start-Up My Symantec logged and quarantined the threat as soon as it appeared it was on a co-worker s flashdrive apparently but I got a bsd after that anyway and Blue Screen on Safe Mode Start-Up I ve gotten some notifications letting me know Symantec is blocking traffic from an IP address attempting to contact me We tried another flashdrive in mine after that we were transferring files between our laptops and then put it in her comp That s when problems started for her Her sound disappeared I went through all the bugfixes windows suggests and now of course her os won t boot at all She has another comp to work on so she s not very concerned but I m becoming very worried about mine I m not experiencing any overt difficulties with my comp not that that means anything with viruses involved but the inability to boot into safe mode and scan for viruses is a major concern I would include a HJT log but my laptop doesn t have internet access where I am atm Thanks for any help Peace nbsp

Relevancy 110.94%

I start up, Safe Blue at help! Pls no Mode Screen recently attempted defragmenting my registry with Registry Medic or smth like that immediately after the restart I was not able to access my computer at all Safe mode generates the same error massage as the normal start up The Win startup recovery can not fix the problem I'm attaching a pic of the blue screen It flashes for a few seconds and then the computer restarts My hardware is as follows toshiba satelite P -S Laptop Intel core Duo T ATI radeon OperaTION SYSTEM WIN x Ultimate Pls help I have some very important files on my hard drive As for viruses I Blue Screen at start up, no Safe Mode Pls help! have Avast free and Malewarebytes I had a suspicion that a facebook application by the name of quot Things You Never Say To A Teacher quot has added smth to the registry and that is why I attempted a clean and a Blue Screen at start up, no Safe Mode Pls help! defrag it in the first place Unfortunately stupidly I did not back it up first Is there a way to at least save my files Here is the pic of the error sorry if its a bit smuggy it was taken with a cell phone http img imageshack us img img c jpg Main error code STOP x F

A:Blue Screen at start up, no Safe Mode Pls help!

Download a copy of Ubuntu, burn the ISO as an image file and boot from it...Select the live CD ( ..Try ubuntu without installing it to your system ) You will now be able to access your hard drive and backup your files.. Once you have everything backed up, do a clean install.... BTW stay away from registry tools...as you have discovered, they cause more problems than they are worth...

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/84869-blue-screen-start-up-no-safe-mode-pls-help.html
Relevancy 110.08%

Hi Windows have start mode. to black 7 on screen safe in startup, guys I ve got a nasty virus on a laptop that I cna t get rid of not yet anyway I have not yet run HijackThis or GMER however I have run ComboFix it found and deleated a file on the D drive called installer exe Windows 7 black screen on startup, have to start in safe mode. No changes Here are the symptoms When booting into normal startup it Windows 7 black screen on startup, have to start in safe mode. takes about minutes to get to the Windows 7 black screen on startup, have to start in safe mode. desktop That is from the time I see the Windows Loading screen until the screen goes black Once I have officially logged in the screen is black All I see is the mouse courser Pressing ctrl alt del does nothing Neither does pressing the Windows key Booting into safe mode brings up the desktop and the computer workes fine then All of the System Recovery files have been deleated Going to the Avast website brings up the quot This site has been marked as harmful and is being blocked quot screen If I make any changes to startup using the msconfig command and then restart the computer the system will hang on the Windows loading screen restart and then revert itself back to the way it was before black screen I cant run a virus scan or do anything else in Avast this isnt really the virus s fault avast dosent work in safe mode I ll post the logs of HijackThis tonight but I would like if anyone has any suggestions to help me out before then

A:Windows 7 black screen on startup, have to start in safe mode.

Try going into safe mode with networkingRun MBAM (MalwareBytes):Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.Download Link 1Download Link 2MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.Make sure you are connected to the Internet.Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
For instructions with screenshots, please refer to the How to use Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Guide.When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:Update Malwarebytes' Anti-MalwareLaunch Malwarebytes' Anti-MalwareThen click Finish.MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.On the Scanner tab:Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.Then click on the Scan button.If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button. The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.Back at the main Scanner screen:Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.Exit MBAM when done.Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.Troubleshoot Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware [/quote]

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/403757/windows-7-black-screen-on-startup-have-to-start-in-safe-mode/
Relevancy 110.08%

hp laptop when i start up my laptop it goes to a black screen an freezes and when i try safe mode it freezes at

loading: \windows\system32\drivers\crcdisk.sys

I have tryed repairing and reloading microsoft still the same error. if any one knows how to correct this problem please help!

A:Vista start up screen black safe mode is stuck

hi you should have a recovery partition this should help
Restore the PC to its original condition with the HP Recovery Manager if Windows Vista is not accessible
If the PC cannot launch into Windows, it may still be possible to use the HP Recovery Manager on the hard drive to restore the computer to its original operating condition by first pressing the Power button to start the PC, and then pressing the F11 key to start the HP Recovery Manager. NOTE: Depending on the BIOS version, your computer may display multiple prompts during startup including F11 to start System Recovery. Pressing the F11 key on a computer with an HP factory image will start System Recovery even if the prompt is not displayed

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-start-up-screen-black-safe-mode-is-stuck.851409/
Relevancy 110.08%

PLEASE HELP

My laptop hp pavilion starts up and freezes on a black screen. it doesn't load so i tried safe mode and it gets stuck on.

Loading: \windows\system32\drivers\crcdisk.sys
I tried windows reload and repair and same issue even after i reloaded and repaired it. Can some one please help me!

David

A:Vista start up screen black safe mode is stuck!!!!

hi try this
Restore the PC to its original condition with the HP Recovery Manager if Windows Vista is not accessible
If the PC cannot launch into Windows, it may still be possible to use the HP Recovery Manager on the hard drive to restore the computer to its original operating condition by first pressing the Power button to start the PC, and then pressing the F11 key to start the HP Recovery Manager. NOTE: Depending on the BIOS version, your computer may display multiple prompts during startup including F11 to start System Recovery. Pressing the F11 key on a computer with an HP factory image will start System Recovery even if the prompt is not displayed

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-start-up-screen-black-safe-mode-is-stuck.851393/
Relevancy 110.08%

Hi guys I've got a nasty virus on a laptop that I cna't get rid of not yet anyway I to mode. 7 Windows start in screen have black on startup, safe have not yet run HijackThis or GMER however I have run ComboFix it found and deleated a file on the D drive called installer exe No changes Here are the symptoms When booting into normal startup it takes about minutes to get to the desktop That is from the time I see the Windows Loading screen until the screen goes black Once I have officially logged in the screen is black All I see is the mouse courser Pressing ctrl alt del does nothing Neither does pressing the Windows Windows 7 black screen on startup, have to start in safe mode. key Booting into safe mode brings up the desktop and the computer workes fine then All of the System Recovery files have been deleated Going to the Avast website brings up the quot This site has been marked as harmful and is being blocked quot screen If I make any changes to startup using the msconfig command and then restart the computer the system will hang on the Windows loading screen restart and then revert itself back to the way it was before black screen I cant run a virus scan or do anything else in Avast this isnt really the virus's fault avast dosent work in safe mode I'll post the logs of HijackThis tonight but I would like if anyone has any suggestions to help me out before then

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/windows-7-black-screen-on-startup-have-to-start-in-safe-mode-580565.html
Relevancy 109.65%

I'm getting the blue screen of death a few seconds in to booting windows xp (32bit). It was working fine last night and i left it on to go into another room and when i came back the blue screen message had appeared and has done ever since. Stop code is : 0.0000008E

When i run in safe mode to code is 0.00000050 and i get the error message page_fault_in_nonpaged_area

All my uni work is on this computer so I really need to get it back! Any help would be really appreciated

Thanks

Clare

A:Blue screen of death help? Cannot start in safe mode

Go Here ----> "STOP 0x00000050" or "STOP 0x0000008e" and follow the step set out by MS.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/blue-screen-of-death-help-cannot-start-in-safe-mode.872691/
Relevancy 109.65%

I'm getting the blue screen of death a few seconds in to booting windows xp (32bit). It was working fine last night and i left it on to go into another room and when i came back the blue screen message had appeared and has done ever since. Stop code is : 0.0000008E

When i run in safe mode to code is 0.00000050 and i get the error message page_fault_in_nonpaged_area

All my uni work is on this computer so I really need to get it back! Any help would be really appreciated

Thanks

Clare

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/blue-screen-of-death-help-cannot-start-in-safe-mode.872681/
Relevancy 109.65%

i recently hooked my computer back up to the internet after about four to five months safe mode seem blues, start i screen to can,t in blue of not being connected It was ok at first but i think i forgot to update my avg straight away then i got the blue screen message appear while i was out the room so i blue screen blues, i can,t seem to start in safe mode turned my computer of it restarted with a green background on my desktop and a message saying your computer is infected i tried to download avg and struggled with this for a while then it found a trojan and then locked up i restarted and the blue screen appeared again i tried to start in safe mode but i just keep going back to the blue screen O n the blue screen it says i should check with vendor for any bios updates disable bios memory options such as caching or shadowing at the bottom it says technical information STOP oxoooooo e xc x xf be xf be Please tell me some good news i have all my music on this computer and no back up gt gt i know stupid please help

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/290193/blue-screen-blues-i-cant-seem-to-start-in-safe-mode/
Relevancy 109.65%

i have dell dimension xps gen 2 pc and i'm having this blue screm issue and error msg saying windw will shut down to prevent damage and so on. i can not start in safe mode at all
this is where the problem is some where here.

stop:0x0000007B(0xF789E5........................
so i use OS cd to try to repair it, i run chkdsk /r and all file was repair good so shut down the pc using the front botton then restart and still having the same issue.
could be anything i'm doing wrong or what. i really like extrat some file still in HD.
please help me
thnks

A:Blue screen error can't start up on safe mode

How old is the hard drive... and how old is your XPS Gen 2... which has always been a lot of trouble in our shops.

Sounds like a hard drive failure or a memory failure or something else big like a cpu fan failure.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/blue-screen-error-cant-start-up-on-safe-mode.151539/
Relevancy 109.65%

Hi there I m here after spending most of yesterday trying to figure this out myself I should have just come straight here because you guys have ALWAYS fixed my computer problems in the past My computer Windows Vista Home Premium Build Service Pack HP Pavillion m t Intel Core Duo E start up, works at Blue safe Screen mode in GHz GB Ram -bit OS NVIDIA GeForce GT DirectX Problem Blue Screen at start up, works in safe mode started when I turned on my pc yesterday morning I had been walking around doing things and did not notice that it had failed to boot correctly It was on a repair screen for some time and eventually notified me that it could not repair startup problem After this I rebooted again and told it not to go to repair but to boot normally It then went to a blue screen page which of course went by too fast for me to see much I rebooted this time in safe mode with networking I set my computer not to automatically restart and then rebooted again so that I could read the bsod I wrote down the stop error codes and rebooted to safe mode with networking again Long story short I didn t know what the error codes were but I figured I could search them online I ran all of my virus and malware scans got the most recent windows updates had already been at service pack but there were some other updates and started surfing the web for solutions This was done over a period of time since I was also doing other things in the house I did find that once in every or reboots it will reboot correctly without going to a blue-screen Most of the time though it s bsod This morning I downloaded WhoCrashed and analyzed my minidumps and it seems to be pointing to a problem with a usb device I did notice yesterday morning that my youngest daughter had left a little tiny memory card thing in my sd mini drive from her friend s camera and I took it out Yesterday I had no idea that it might have anything to do with the blue screens and memory dumps but the WhoCrashed analysis says the following for all minidumps from yesterday and this morning On Sat PM your computer crashed This was likely caused by the following module hidusb sys Bugcheck code x xFFFFFFE x x D F x Error PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA file path C Windows system drivers hidusb sys product Microsoft Windows Operating System company Microsoft Corporation description USB Miniport Driver for Input Devices The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module Likely the culprit is another driver on your system which cannot be identified EDIT Just wanted to add this after the fact- I noticed under device manager that under Portable Devices was a listing for Compact Flash It has a yellow triangle symbol on it indicating a problem When I look at properties for the device it says This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device Code I m assuming this is due to the little tiny sandisk memory card camera thing that my daughter had left in the drive Hope this helps to narrow down a solution It will be funny if that is the whole problem considering the amount of frustration I have felt over the last hours the scans I ve run the pages I ve surfed but since I had almost decided to completely reformat I m hoping that this won t be hard to fix Oh and I forgot to mention that somewhere along the way not naming any teenaged daughters my system restore was turned OFF Guess it slowed down someone s gaming SO I had no restore points and the only option on my boot up screen was system recovery which I took to mean back to factory settings and all of my files and data gone I don t have an os disk it came pre-installed Hoping I don t have to go that route Just to be thorough I did discover some kind of virus alureon or something yesterday when I first scanned but it seems to have been taken care of when I ran my scans I have posted this in this forum as things indicate a system or hardware problem more than a virus problem but if that is not true I ll be more than h... Read more

Relevancy 109.22%

I posted this on the malware thread too but I m not sure if it goes there or here My husband screen w/ except start Login arrow mode safe is and Black Help! white can't got HDD Control malware on his computer XP SP this morning and has spent all day trying to get it off He used a suggestion in the forum of trying Superantispywear and it seemed to work However after about min of being able to use his computer again it started to randomly play bits of audio again but he did have control of the computer again That wasn t OK He updated the SuperAntispyware and tried to scan again He was skype chatting to friends during the scan and he decided to close some windows The computer Help! Login screen is Black w/ white arrow and can't start except safe mode slowed to Help! Login screen is Black w/ white arrow and can't start except safe mode a crawl and he had to restart Well we did various things to try and get it started safe mode etc but the main problem now is that he can t get past the login screen It s black w the white arrow That s it Nothing else He can get it to boot in save mode but that s about it He doesn t have a Windows CD his computer didn t come w it so he can t use window s application any help is desperately needed Thanks Kara nbsp

A:Help! Login screen is Black w/ white arrow and can't start except safe mode

Hi Kara,

I got this trojan today too, and it took me all evening to fix.

First I tried Avast but I got part way into its scan twice and my computer shut down. For a while it wouldn't let me do anything, not even open Chrome to go online, but after another shut down and restart, it allowed me to open Chrome. This time I did not touch or try to shut the fake warning pop up.

I went to Microsoft.com and downloaded Microsoft Security Essentials (free) and scanned my computer. It took a long time but it found the trojan and then deleted it. After restarting, everything seems back to normal, I just had to delete the HDD Control desktop icon.

Maybe if you keep rebooting it will eventually restart so that you can do something. Otherwise, I'd take it to a repair place and see if they can get it to restart for you and then use Microsoft Security Essentials.

Good luck

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-login-screen-is-black-w-white-arrow-and-cant-start-except-safe-mode.964415/
Relevancy 109.22%

Like the title says, my computer is stuck on a black screen. I downloaded an update and was instructed to restart the computer. After restarting the computer it went to a black screen. It won't do anything past that. I've tried starting it in safe mode but always with the same result. I have no idea what to do with this short of taking it to Best Buy to have the geek squad take a look at it and frankly I don't feel like doing that. If anyone knows how to fix this or has any suggestions, I'm open to anything. Please help.

A:Computer stuck on black screen - wont start in safe mode

Have you tried selecting Last Known Good Configuration from the Safe Mode menu? It sometimes works. Also, if you put in your W7 DVD and select Repair rather than Install after making the language choice, StartUp repair might help and if it does not, try System Restore.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-stuck-on-black-screen-wont-start-in-safe-mode.980642/
Relevancy 108.79%

I recently got the winhost exe virus on my laptop Booting to windows was working fine it loads into windows and ran fine except screen trying of blue in to windows death mode start safe gives some programs were running slow But this virus has disabled my virus protection programs and does not allow me to run any exe files saying that quot the file is not a valid win file quot It prohibits or does not allow me to go to a different restore point and most importantly run in safe mode I get a blue screen of death saying the computer has an error virus or hard drive problem and shuts down when I tried to run in safe mode using the lt f gt key In order to run in safemode windows gives blue screen of death trying to start in safe mode some other technitian told me to go run prompt type msconfig select the middle tab on top check on safe boot box click apply restart Hoping windows gives blue screen of death trying to start in safe mode this would bypass the virus and go into safemode this is what I did Now I can not start the computer because every time it loads windows the system wants to go into safemode which the virus will not allow Please help me reconfig my windows so it starts again I have tried all the options on the boot option screen when pressing lt f gt and none worked Is there a way to windows gives blue screen of death trying to start in safe mode load windows again without reinstalling nbsp

A:windows gives blue screen of death trying to start in safe mode

Welcome to TSG....

Do you have the recovery disk set for this Dell computer?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-gives-blue-screen-of-death-trying-to-start-in-safe-mode.687843/
Relevancy 108.79%

Problem: when restarting a Compaq Presario CQ61-411WM, the first thing you see after red Compaq logo screen is:
Windows Error Recovery:
and options of

Launch startup repair (recommended)
Start Windows normally

After choosing either option, here is what happens:
Starting Windows
Windows is loading files
the blue windows logo background screen begins to load with arrow and active circle,
another window tries to pop up then goes away (about 1/2 the size of the screen),
then the screen stays on the windows logo background screen with the cursor arrow actively moving when moving the mouse.

We have tried multiple forums on fix options, using either options of F8 to try to enter into safe mode, or resolve, or restart as last safe (or similar verbiage) results the same.

A:Start up blue screen with arrow, can't boot safe mode

hi,if you have windows 7 install disc or you created a repair disc then set BIOS to boot from the DVD rom drive,pop in your disc exit BIOS saving settings.when the pc starts watch for the "press any key to boot from dvd" loading files will appear on screen.select language/keyboard settings on next screen,on the following screen click on the "repair your computer" line which will take you to the System recovery options,DO NOT CLICK ON INSTALL NOW. next screen System rcovery options will search your hard drive and insllation,next select the windows 7 installation to perform the startup repair on and click on next.on this screen click on the Startup Repair line.
The Startup Repair tool will now search for problems with files that are important to the proper functioning of Windows 7.

If Startup Repair finds a problem with an important operating system file, the tool may suggest a solution of some kind that you have to confirm or may solve the problem automatically.

Whatever happens, follow the prompts as necessary and accept any changes suggested by Startup Repair.

Important Note:

If you want the Startup Repair to work properly, you must remove any flash drives or other USB storage devices, like external hard drives, from your computer before running the tool. Due to the way some computers report the storage space on USB connected drives, the Windows 7 Startup Repair may incorrectly report that it found no problems when in fact there may actually be an issue.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/start-up-blue-screen-with-arrow-cant-boot-safe-mode.1090727/
Relevancy 108.79%

I am only able to start windows...it keeps rebooting giving me a blue screen

I followed the steps on your previous threads and have attached the files. Thanks

A:Minidump Problem - blue screen only able to start in safe mode

Code:
Advanced SystemCare 7 "c:\program files (x86)\iobit\advanced systemcare 7\asctray.exe" /auto NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM HKU\S-1-5-18\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Advanced SystemCare 7 "c:\program files (x86)\iobit\advanced systemcare 7\asctray.exe" /auto .DEFAULT HKU\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
This software is a known cause of BSOD's. The windows 7 operating system does not require these registry cleaning software. They often tune-down rather than tune-up and can wreck the OS beyond repair. Microsoft have improved Windows 7 significantly and it is much better at organising and optimising itself than its predecessors. Check this, this and this thread for evidence. If you feel the need to use a registry cleaning or optimisation software, most of us recommend the use of CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download but make sure you back up the registry before making letting ccleaner delete anything. 10 Tips on How to Properly Maintain Your Computer

Reduce items at start-up: Startup Programs - Change

Perform a clean boot: Troubleshoot Application Conflicts by Performing a Clean Startup

Avast contributes to BSOD's, Please remove it for testing purpose. Use Microsoft Security Essentials.

Recommended from a strict BSOD perspective, compatibility & stability compared to other security software:

Microsoft Security Essentials - Free Antivirus for Windows

Malwarebytes - Free

Good and Free system security combination.

Scan with Kaspersky TDSSKiller:Anti-rootkit utility TDSSKiller

ESET online scanner: Free Online Virus Scanner | ESET

Post screenshot(s) of your Hard Drive(s) using Crystal Disk Info Software: CrystalDiskInfo - Software - Crystal Dew World

Run a Hard Drive test: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/313457-seatools-dos-windows-how-use.html

Make sure you are not running out of hard drive space and remove any hard drive utilities like Smart Defrag for the time being.

Use Revo Uninstaller to uninstall stubborn software. Opt for Advance Mode while uninstalling which allows leftover registry removal:Download Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Free and Full Download - Uninstall software, remove programs, solve uninstall problems

Run Disk Check on your Hard Drive(s): Disk Check

Please update these older drivers. Links are included to assist in looking up the source of the drivers. If unable to find an update, please remove (un-install) the program responsible for that driver. DO NOT manually delete/rename the driver as it may make the system unbootable!:-

athrx.sys Sat Nov 7 02:56:02 2009 (4AF48D62)
Atheros network adapter driver
Driver Reference Table - athrx.sys

CHDRT64.sys Tue Jan 19 02:52:28 2010 (4B54CA0C)
Conexant High Definition SmartAudio
Driver Reference Table - CHDRT64.sys

L1C62x64.sys Thu Mar 4 13:32:36 2010 (4B8F6214)
Atheros NIC driver
Driver Reference Table - L1C62x64.sys

Perform a clean install of a driver following: How to Clean Left Over Driver Files with Driver Sweeper

Keep us posted.

BSOD Summary

Code:
Built by: 7601.18247.amd64fre.win7sp1_gdr.130828-1532
Debug session time: Mon Feb 24 13:18:31.393 2014 (UTC + 6:00)
System Uptime: 0 days 0:00:58.063
BugCheck 1000007E, {ffffffffc0000006, fffff80002d0e0a3, fffff88004468658, fffff88004467eb0}
Probably caused by : hardware_disk
BUGCHECK_STR: 0x7E
PROCESS_NAME: System
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????``

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/323235-minidump-problem-blue-screen-only-able-start-safe-mode.html
Relevancy 108.79%

Hi I'm running Windows XP Service Pack on my HP Pavillion ZE I know kill me please I am not on that computer right now Can restarts mode, blue safe in only start screen flashes, When I press the power button and it begins to boot within or seconds or so I get a flash of a blue screen which has text in white which I Can only start in safe mode, blue screen flashes, restarts cannot read as it goes by too fast After the blue screen flashes my computer turns off and automatically begins to restart At first I had not gotten the F boot option screen and the aforementioned process occurred but in subsequent times the screen did appear I attempted the 'Start Windows Normally' option and blue screen flash etc occurred I found that even starting in 'Safe Mode' does the exact same thing The only configuration in which I found that I can actually get Windows running is 'Safe Mode with Command Prompt' I the only option I have not tried is 'Safe Mode with Networking' as I have my desktop for internet to resolve these issues I tried booting from the XP CD and do a system restore but the blue Can only start in safe mode, blue screen flashes, restarts screen again appears turning off my laptop and starting it again I believe I somehow switched from 'Safe Mode with Command Prompt' to regular safe mode by opening the Task Manager gt New Task Run and opening up C XXXXX whatever is in the drop down box Only after this does my desktop appear and I get this error message quot Windows cannot find ' idlist C Program' Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again To search for a file click the Start button and then click Search quot I believe the numbers between the comma's change each time I have started my computer in this fashion but I may be wrong On another forum a similar problem as mine was resolved by this answer from a poster quot Oh man i just figured out what's your problem you just goto the config file and then replace all occurences of programfiles to C Program Files or D Program Files whichever folder where your program files is located quot If this is in fact the solution to my problem I have no idea how to get to the config file and replace said occurrences with said file names Please help me it would really be a drag to have to reformat my laptop for the th time since I purchased it a year ago Hedonist

A:Can only start in safe mode, blue screen flashes, restarts

http://www.myfixes.com/articles/system

try the above webpage process to do a System Restore

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/can-only-start-in-safe-mode-blue-screen-flashes-restarts-447770.html
Relevancy 108.79%

Can someone help me fix windows?
Every time I try and start the computer a BLUE screen comes up and i have to restart on safe mode to use my computer at all.
HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

Relevancy 108.79%

Thank you so much for your help.  I've gone through this site before and have been so happy with you all.  I have a blue screen of death on my computer using Windows XP.  I've tried to push F8 and start in safe modes multiple times but nothing works.  I saved Vipre Rescue to a flash drive and to a DVD but cannot get either to load. Please help me.  I have time sensitive things on this computer and need to recover.  

A:Blue Screen of death-can't start in safe mode, Windows XP

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer! I am HelpBot: an automated program designed to help the Bleeping Computer Staff better assist you! This message contains very important information, so please read through all of it before doing anything.
We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.
To help Bleeping Computer better assist you please perform the following steps:
*************************************************** In order to continue receiving help at BleepingComputer.com, YOU MUST tell me if you still need help or if your issue has already been resolved on your own or through another resource! To tell me this, please click on the following link and follow the instructions there.CLICK THIS LINK >>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/logreply/561489 <<< CLICK THIS LINK
If you no longer need help, then all you needed to do was the previous instructions of telling me so. You can skip the rest of this post. If you do need help please continue with Step 2 below.
***************************************************If you still need help, I would like you to post a Reply to this topic (click the "Add Reply" button in the lower right hand of this page). In that reply, please include the following information:If you have not done so already, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.A new DDS log. For your convenience, you will find the instructions for generating these logs repeated at the bottom of this post.Please do this even if you have previously posted logs for us.If you were unable to produce the logs originally please try once more.If you are unable to create a log please provide detailed information about your installed Windows Operating System including the Version, Edition and if it is a 32bit or a 64bit system.If you are unsure about any of these characteristics just post what you can and we will guide you.Please tell us if you have your original Windows CD/DVD available. Upon completing the above steps and posting a reply, another staff member will review your topic and do their best to resolve your issues.
Thank you for your patience, and again sorry for the delay.
We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan again: Download DDS by sUBs from the following link if you no longer have it available and save it to your destop.DDS.com Download LinkDouble click on the DDS icon, allow it to run. A small box will open, with an explanation about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running. Notepad will open with the results. Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results. Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet.
Information on A/V control can be found HERE.As I am just a silly little program running on the BleepingComputer.com servers, please do not send me private messages as I do not know how to read and reply to them! Thanks!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/561489/blue-screen-of-death-cant-start-in-safe-mode-windows-xp/
Relevancy 108.79%

from another thread i read to download the service pack for my windows pc i start Blue works.HELP! screen or boot...won't mode before anything..nothing safe in downloaded it and attempted to load it into my harddrive there was some error on my pc so the entire service pack would not load at all but it was still on my computer sitting there i looked Blue screen before boot...won't start in safe mode or anything..nothing works.HELP! and tryed to delete it since it was unusable it told me that my computer might not run properly if i deleted it but since it never really was loaded onto m hardrive correctly i did not think it could do much damage i deleted it i logged off my computer a few hours later i came home and turned my computer on within about seconds of turning it on a blue screen popped up saying it could not find the source or the entry to the computer bottom line is that it would not boot correctly at all i attempted many times yet the same thing happened it also prompted to boot in safe mode i did that but the blue screen popped up again i am typing this on back-up computer that we have i was wondering if anybody knows what i can to with my computer to fix it or get it fixed professionally which is a strong option But I was wondering to see if there was anything that I could do before bringing it to a computer pro i am fairly advanced with computers but this boggles my mind and I do not know what to do if anyone knows anything to help me it would help alot thanks nbsp

A:Blue screen before boot...won't start in safe mode or anything..nothing works.HELP!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/blue-screen-before-boot-wont-start-in-safe-mode-or-anything-nothing-works-help.444558/
Relevancy 107.93%

Turn computer on, it only gets to the black screen w dell on it and lower right corner shows f2 set up and f12 boot options but those don't work,will not start up n safe mode

A:Vista Dell Studio black screen froze can't start in safe mode

Were there any symptoms/problems prior to this?
Remove the battery. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Try to boot with and without the battery.
If F2 and F12 don't work you have a serious problem,
Have you tried booting from a CD/DVD?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/vista-dell-studio-black-screen-froze-cant-start-in-safe-mode.159047/
Relevancy 107.5%

Ok so JohnWII has been helping me with a networking problem in the networking forum and he suggested I start in SAFE MODE to do a step for restarting screen...now Mode...get start Safe stop laptop in won't Can't blue what we were fixing I tried using F on startup but when I clicked on SAFE MODE it would start and then give me a blue screen saying I encountered an error or something to that affect and then would restart and bring me back to the same screen Can't start in Safe Mode...get blue screen...now laptop won't stop restarting asking what to start up in so I started normally and googled quot cannot start Windows XP in Safe Mode quot It brought me to bleepingcomputer and there it said you could try and start it up manually by going to msconfig and checking off SafeBoot and then restarting when it prompted you to I did that and it did the same thing as before with the blue screen and restarting again except now I can t go back to starting Can't start in Safe Mode...get blue screen...now laptop won't stop restarting normally because I have safeboot still checked so it just continues to reboot over and over I have it shut off right now prob not the best thing to do but I just held down the power button please tell me there is a way to get my computer back on I have a Gateway Notebook running WINDOWS XP nbsp

A:Can't start in Safe Mode...get blue screen...now laptop won't stop restarting

I am having a similar issue. The computer was stuck (after an overnight update?) and i had to hard boot it. Now it seems like the boot sectors are corrupt. Went through the BIOS settings and even tried the hard drive check from there, where it failed test #2. I've hooked that hard drive up to another computer to check it out and all files are still accessible. What I want to do now is try and load XP onto another spare drive to be able to boot the other computer.

Any idea how to load (not mirror) XP onto an external drive from a Vista machine which will then be used as the C drive on the other laptop?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-start-in-safe-mode-get-blue-screen-now-laptop-wont-stop-restarting.880484/
Relevancy 106.21%

I went to my grandparents today and my grandfather might have error Possibly virus. Blue a try start I to mode codes with when screen safe messed up his computer again He has windows XP and I am unsure if he added any new programs or anything because he did not know the answer When I turn it Possibly a virus. Blue screen with error codes when I try to start safe mode on the desktop comes up with blue green red and yellow blocks like someone drew them with a drawing application and I cannot start the task manager because it says quot task manage has been disabled by your administrator quot but he is supposed to be the admin No icons come up and I cannot do anything I tried to boot the computer in safe mode but it comes up with a blue screen that says quot A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to protect your computer If this is your first time you ve seen this stop error screen restart your computer If this appears again follow these steps Check for viruses on your computer Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers ect The technical information Stop x B oXF B x and there is more but I cannot see the rest of the numbers off screen on my monitor--I brought it to my house So is this even the correct forum If it is not could you please direct me elsewhere I would greatly appreciate any help Thank you in advance Edit I was able to do a PCRestore and this has solved the problem I know I was supposed to wait and not do anything but my grandfather was complaining about not having his computer Thanks anyway

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/207610/possibly-a-virus-blue-screen-with-error-codes-when-i-try-to-start-safe-mode/
Relevancy 104.92%

HI guys

When booting up my laptop in "last known good configuration" mode i keep getting the blue screen of death and the laptop freezes and cuts out and is very over heated. When i have booted up in "safe mode with networking" the latop is still over heating but it dosn't freeze or i don't get the blue screen of death. I am also limited to what i can doin safe mode.

Any ideas what the problem could be please chaps?

Thanks in advance

Tony

A:Blue screen of death on normal boot up but no blue screen in safe mode ?

Exact wording of BSOD error message?

System manufacturer and model?

Conditions/events which may have led to this?

When did problem begin?

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/489566/blue-screen-of-death-on-normal-boot-up-but-no-blue-screen-in-safe-mode/
Relevancy 103.63%

Okay here's a little background information Bought my PC in Have had to replace video cards since i've bought it One was replaced under warranty the other I bought Since I purchased my PC the only parts splash mode. safe screen acces Black Unable Windows to screen. after I have replaced are My video card cards later i'm on my most recent one EVGA Nvidia GT http www evga com articles asp I also upgraded my PSU to an Enermax Pro w http www directron com epr awt html OS Windows XP SP Motherboard ASUS P BW-LA http h www hp com ewfrf wc d name c I mainly use my Black screen after Windows splash screen. Unable to acces safe mode. computer for gaming after my first video card died i was sent a beefier card http reviews cnet com graphics-car tag mncol lst after that my PC was no longer under warranty so I had to buy my next cards my self My problem I Black screen after Windows splash screen. Unable to acces safe mode. left my computer on while making some food I had world of warcraft opened When I finished making food I got back to my computer and moved my mouse to get it out of sleep mode I run a dual display set up once my monitors loaded up one of the screens was pure white and the other screen was black I was forced to hold the power button down to turn off my PC From there Black screen after Windows splash screen. Unable to acces safe mode. on out everytime I boot my computer up I get my PC's loading screen which i'm able to acces BIOS or system restore after my PC's loading screen I get the windows splash screen after that my monitor is pure black The PC is still on and running but there's no display I plugged my monitor into my onboard and enabled it through BIOS same thing I originally thought this was a video card problem but after going through my onboard i realized this isn't the case Anytime i try to run windows normally the black screen happens wether its through my video card or through my onboard So my next idea was to start in safe mode Unfortunatley that doesn't work either It loads up all my system drivers then stops after windows system giveio sys Could this be an OS problem Maybe my mobo is shot and that's why i've been burning video cards cards in years is a little ridiculous Should I reformat Should I replace my mobo Please help Heres my PC's exact specs keep in mind i replaced my video card and PSU as mentioned before in this post http h www hp com ewfrf wc p roduct Please help me money is tight and I can't afford to be guessing and replacing parts thank you Joseph

A:Black screen after Windows splash screen. Unable to acces safe mode.

bump, please help :(

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/black-screen-after-windows-splash-screen-unable-to-acces-safe-mode-383474.html
Relevancy 103.2%

Hello After doing a Windows update my computer gave a Windows looking message that my hard drive was going bad and to Safe Mode Windows 7 NO screen, black screen then splash back up my data I was able to save my user files Then the pc crashed with a BSOD I disabled restart after crash Found the error was x B having to do with a corrupt bootcat cache file Could not Windows 7 splash screen, then black screen NO Safe Mode boot up windows except for semi windows with my windows disk and Windows 7 splash screen, then black screen NO Safe Mode Chose Repair in Recovery console however it told Windows 7 splash screen, then black screen NO Safe Mode me nothing could be repaired Through an option to quot find a file quot under the Recovery option I managed to copy a GOOD copy of the bootcat cache file and I appropriately placed it in E Windows system codeintegrity it was ONLY seeing C as a system partition my drive letters were all reassigned Sorry this is confusing and a lot of info Bottom line is my hard drive is not bad I see windows on it and all my files and the BIOS recognizes the drive It is firmly connected and NOT hot to the touch From a command prompt I did a bootrec exe fixmbr and also fixboot as the pc was not properly booting up it still would not boot properly I am totally unable to go to safe mode hitting F No matter what I do I get a Windows Splash screen and then my screen goes to a Black Screen with a White arrow cursor the hard drive appears to be trying to work the light flickers but it just hangs at the black screen Again it refuses to allow me to boot to safe mode It tries to load the Windows System recovery screen ONLY when I try to boot to the Windows CD I cannot repair it I don't have an image because it would not allow me to make one before it crashed It will NOT repair it cannot validate any system restore points and tells me it cannot restore on any of them I am unable to boot to safemode at all with or without the Win CD in my drive How can I recover from this I am percent certain my hard drive is NOT bad Something is corrupted and Windows won't load I've built many pc's and worked as desktop support hardware tech Splash screen then black screen and stays at a white arrow with the hard drive light flickering on and off

A:Windows 7 splash screen, then black screen NO Safe Mode

sorry for bumping. it seems people get a lot of responses to their questions and i was hoping to get the same kind of response.

Bottom line is, my computer tries to load Windows (7) with the splash screen, then goes to a black screen with an arrow and stays there.

I am unable to boot to safe mode.

I am unable to do a recovery from booting from the Windows 7 Install CD

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/305211-windows-7-splash-screen-then-black-screen-no-safe-mode.html
Relevancy 102.34%

Hi I have this year old Lenovo Y config below The discrete graphic card has In WIN Screen Mode POST During , Screen Safe Even Black 7 Black probably fried a long time ago so last year when I did a clean install of Windows I had to disable ATI Card permanently in the device manager using safe mode Black Screen During WIN 7 POST , Black Screen Even In Safe Mode and used the Intel integrated card A few days ago I booted up windows only to encounter quot A disk read error has occurred press ctrl alt del to restart quot I tried to boot up using WIN install disc but soon after the Starting Windows logo the screen Black Screen During WIN 7 POST , Black Screen Even In Safe Mode turns black and I am left with a cursor in a black screen I tried to boot into Safe Mode but still I encountered a black screen with just the cursor I booted with Ubuntu live usb and was able to access all my partition and did back up and even formatted the Windows Partition I tried to boot using a WinPe and faced the Black screen with a cursor again I even reset BIOS to default changed Graphics Adapter from quot Discrete' to quot Switchable' and vice-versa but no effect at all When I boot up using Ubuntu and ran lspci grep VGA I can see both cards listed I even tried to boot up using Windows preview disk still I get a black screen after the Windows loading screen I can't afford to buy any laptop presently since I am currently at college so using Ubuntu for now Is ther any way to install Windows again Is it possible to get the ATI Card working properly- reballing reflow Any way to permanently disable the ATI card and get windows to boot up using the integrated chip Notebook Lenovo IdeaPad Y Processor Intel Core i M Graphics Adapter Switches B W Intel HD amp ATI Mobility Radeon HD

A:Black Screen During WIN 7 POST , Black Screen Even In Safe Mode

What other graphics adapter choices are available in BIOS setup? If you choose Switchable is there software on the Lenovo site for your model that's needed? Are you using the Display adapter software from there?

Have you tested your HD with the maker's HD Diagnostic extended CD scan, followed by a full Disk Check on a single disk partition you create?

Then work through the steps for Overcoming Windows 7 Installation Failures - Windows 7 Help Forums including trying an alternate install method (disk><flash stick) with new media. These steps overcome almost all install failures, so you'll be reasonably sure the problem is hardware or BIOS settings if nothing works. But don't skip any steps.

Try Clean Install Windows 10 Technical Preview to see if there's any difference with a more modern OS install. It's already a very polished OS and worth testing this.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/351512-black-screen-during-win-7-post-black-screen-even-safe-mode.html
Relevancy 101.48%

Blue Screen - Hangs On Xp Logo Screen - No Safe Mode

Hello There, I Would Really Appreciate Any Help.

As Above, I Am Pretty Sure This Has Happened To Other People.

I Installed A New Programme Which Was Downloaded From Bit Torrent(i Am Thinking Now That It Must've Contained A Virus).

Blue Screen - Memory Dump
Rebooted And Now It Just Hangs On Windows Xp Logo Screen.

Tried To Boot Using Safe Mode But No Joy.

Also Tried To Use The Restore Disks And The Xp Disk Itself But It Would Not Boot From Those.

What Do I Do Now? I Dont Want To Format The Drive And Loose All My Files.

A:Blue Screen - Hangs On Xp Logo Screen - No Safe Mode

If it was unable to boot from the restore disk or XP disk, that indicates that the BIOS Boot Optios are not set to allow it to boot from the CD before the Hard Drive.

Enter the Bios at boot-up time and correct this.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/blue-screen-hangs-on-xp-logo-screen-no-safe-mode.432157/
Relevancy 101.48%

Hello I m working on an emachines T with mb of RAM The problem is that no matter what I do I can t get it to boot all the way into Windows On startup I automatically get the Safe Mode screen No matter which option I choose it does the same thing I get the initial Windows screen then a blue screen appears with the following messsage Check with your hardware vendors for any BIOS update Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components restart your computer press F to select advanced start up options then select safe mode STOP x E xc x DCF xA E A x Begin dumping of physical memory Physical memory dump complete I don t have the Windows disk that came with this computer but I have one from another computer running the same version of Windows I m not sure how to use the recovery option - every time I ve tried I just get a c prompt Not sure what Solved: Then Screen Mode Bootup: On Safe Screen Blue to do at that point Any thoughts nbsp

Relevancy 100.62%

i have windows home xp edtion on parkard bell.in safe mode it is fine,but when on normal bootup mode it will hang up after 2mins aprox(then restart saying crit error,check hardware etc and being to dump files kernel),on a blue screen.

i tried a different graphics card,but no joy.so i replaced the hdd drive and put a fresh copy of windows xp pro edtion on,but it loads all the files(i have not pressed f6)i just let it run its course on the disc,then it hangs up on the blue screen again with the words(crit error 0x0000007f)check hardware etc and if this is the first time you have seen it try starting windows again.

Thankyou for all your time.

A:Solved: xp safe in safe mode fine...mormal mode blue screen

Start in Safe Mode and look in C:\Windows\Minidump for crash log files with a dmp extension, like Mini071008-01.dmp. Zip 4-5 of the latest ones and post here as a ZIP or RAR attachment. The log file contains information useful to determine what caused the error, most likely hardware.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-xp-safe-in-safe-mode-fine-mormal-mode-blue-screen.729142/
Relevancy 100.19%

I booted into safe mode to try an fix a issue I selected to boot with command prompt butb I have a all black screen an can't get out of safe mode now I restarted the laptop a few times still the same 'anyone know how to fix this?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/12f2b79d-975d-48d3-8135-383a58969e96/booted-into-safe-mode-windows-81-have-a-black-screen-cant-get-out-of-safe-mode?forum=w8itprogeneral
Relevancy 98.47%

Hello,

My laptop will not boot. I end up with an empty black screen or a blue screen with no icons, just a cursor. I get choices for 'normal startup' or ' repair' but not safe mode. Any help appreciated.

A:Unable to start - black screen or empty blue screen w cursor??

Hello JoLaRo and welcome to Seven Forums.

One of the Forum experts has prepared a couple of tutorials that might help you out.

Troubleshooting Windows 7 Failure to Boot

Troubleshooting Steps for Windows 7

If you're still having issues after following the tutorials, please post back.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/346364-unable-start-black-screen-empty-blue-screen-w-cursor.html
Relevancy 98.47%

Hi there,

Am using a Dell Inspiron 6400 with XP. It'd been running ridiculously slowly recently so I started an AVG scan and AVG immediately threw up a file, which I then deleted, then I got a "fatal error" message flash up. Since then I havent been able to get to the log in screen, it merely goes to the black screen with cursor, and Safe Mode is just a black screen with Safe Mode in each corner. Ctrl Alt Del also doesnt work in Safe Mode for some reason, and I have no CD. Ho ho.

Anything I can do to fix this?

Thanks

Relevancy 97.61%

Yea trying to get ino safe mode. When I do hit safe mode and choose my account to log on instead of going to my desk top the screen goes blank and the words safe mode appear in all four corners.
Any help would be great!
Have a good day
John

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/safe-mode-screen-goes-black-with-safe-mode-in-all-four-corners-194068.html
Relevancy 97.18%

Please help!  Over the past week or two my computer has been running slower and slower.  Then lost the ability to download anything unless in safe mode.  Now when opening computer in normal mode get nothing but black screen.  Think I got something when my antivirus software lapsed and I wasn't protected for a bit?

Running Windows 7 64

Tried running Malewarebytes, Avast, SuperAntiSpyware, Microsoft Defender, sf scan, CCleaner and nothing has helped.  Everything comes back fine. 

I'm not very computer savy but from what I have been reading you all can help!  Much appreciated and many thanks for any assistance. 

A:I'm lost. Only open in safe mode. Normal mode give black screen.

Hello ,what is the sf scanBoot to safe mode with Networking and try running these......MiniToolBoxPlease download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.Checkmark the following checkboxes:Flush DNSReport IE Proxy SettingsReset IE Proxy SettingsReport FF Proxy SettingsReset FF Proxy SettingsList content of HostsList IP configurationList Winsock EntriesList last 10 Event Viewer logList Installed ProgramsList Users, Partitions and Memory size.Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run. Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.TDSSKillerDownload TDSSKiller and save it to your desktop.Extract (unzip) its contents to your desktop.Open the TDSSKiller folder and doubleclick on TDSSKiller.exe to run the application, then on Start Scan.If an infected file is detected, the default action will be Cure, click on Continue.If a suspicious file is detected, the default action will be Skip, click on Continue.It may ask you to reboot the computer to complete the process. Click on Reboot Now.If no reboot is required, click on Report. A log file should appear. Please copy and paste the contents of that file here.If a reboot is required, the report can also be found in your root directory (usually C:\ folder) in the form of TDSSKiller_xxxx_log.txt. Please copy and paste the contents of that file here.AdwCleanerPlease download AdwCleaner by Xplode and save to your Desktop.Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool. Vista/Windows 7/8 users right-click and select Run As AdministratorClick on the Scan button.AdwCleaner will begin...be patient as the scan may take some time to complete.After the scan has finished, click on the Report button...a logfile (AdwCleaner[R0].txt) will open in Notepad for review.The contents of the log file may be confusing. Unless you see a program name that you know should not be removed, don't worry about it. If you see an entry you want to keep, let me know about it.Copy and paste the contents of that logfile in your next reply.A copy of all logfiles are saved in the C:\AdwCleaner folder which was created when running the tool.Junkware Removal ToolPlease download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.Shut down your protection software now to avoid potential conflicts.Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista, 7, or 8; instead of double-clicking, right-mouse click JRT.exe and select "Run as Administrator".The tool will open and start scanning your system.Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next message.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/573491/im-lost-only-open-in-safe-mode-normal-mode-give-black-screen/
Relevancy 97.18%

Hello all
First time poster with problem after peforming sys restore on win7 pro 64bit.
Was troubleshooting a problem w/taskbar not staying hidden, tried to restore back 24hrs to when a java update occured. Restore seemed to proceed normally, but upon restart, it boots normally to just before the login screen would appear, then the screen goes black and all that is visible is the cursor , which I can still move.
But that's as far as it gets. Trying to boot in safe mode, or repair mode ends exact same way - can't boot in to try anything
Any ideas??

A:Black screen at boot with safe mode, system restore, or repair mode

no one has any suggestions? I also triedtoboot to my win7 dvd to see if I could attempt to repair but again, it only gets thru the windows bootscreen then goes black with only the mouse cursor showing as before.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/107608-black-screen-boot-safe-mode-system-restore-repair-mode.html
Relevancy 96.75%

Hey guys I seem to be having trouble Safe Mode Works. Mode. in Black Only Screen Normal and I'm not terribly inclined with laptops and computers mine is an HP G laptop Black Screen in Normal Mode. Only Safe Mode Works. and that's about as far Black Screen in Normal Mode. Only Safe Mode Works. as I know about it The other day I went to use it opened it up I had tabs open google chrome and I tried to open a new tab All new tabs were freezing and my itunes had frozen as well I tried closing the laptop hoping it would go into sleep mode but it didn't it stayed running I reopened it and the screen stayed off so I did a hard reset holding the power button to turn it off and started it back up I started it in normal mode and logged on but after loading from the log on screen it went to a black screen with just the cursor and stayed there I did another hard reset and started it in safe mode and now this is how I'm currently running I've tried disabling the display drivers and restarting that worked momentarily but froze shortly after Next I tried a system restore which did absolutely nothing and then I ran chkdsk and again nothing After all this I decided to try uninstalling the display drivers which once again did nothing nbsp This seems to be all the info I have gathered from online and through friends' help there seems to be nothing left to do that may fix this problem Anyone have any idea on where to go from here

A:Black Screen in Normal Mode. Only Safe Mode Works.

Hello ericberard,

You?re having a problem with the computer going to a black screen.

First test the hardware.

Turn off the computer

As you power it back on, tap the F2 key. This will load hardware diagnostics.

Once the screen loads run the startup test.

If this is windows 7 and the startup test pass.

Power back off the computer.

As you power it back on, tap the F8 key. This will load Advanced Boot Options.

Select Last Known Good Configuration.

This will take the system back to when everything was working correctly.

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Let me know how everything goes.

Have a good day.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/Black-Screen-in-Normal-Mode-Only-Safe-Mode-Works/td-p/2489045
Relevancy 96.75%

Help -  I have a Dell OptiPlex 960 with Win 7 OS SP1

My computer is giving me a black screen on normal bootup - I can hear the windows tune but then it is black

I am able to get it to boot in Safe Mode and I have tried the following: ComboFix, Malwarebytes, and adwcleaner

But it stlil boots to a black screen 

What do I do now??????

A:Will boot in safe mode but black screen in normal mode

Boot into safe mode...then do the following.

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.
 Checkmark the following checkboxes:  List last 10 Event Viewer log  List Installed Programs  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
 Click Go and paste the content into your next post.
 Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post. 
Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/580889/will-boot-in-safe-mode-but-black-screen-in-normal-mode/
Relevancy 96.75%

Hi all Today I started up my computer an XP machine running SP and after it went through the BIOS it showed the Windows startup screen the Windows logo with the blue progress bar but when that was done it won't Mode XP in Safe mode screen), (black load but will in regular went to a black screen and won't do anything else I restarted and tried a few different things Start Windows Normally and Last Known Good Configuration both got XP won't load in regular mode (black screen), but will in Safe Mode me the same black screen CheckDisk ran and it made it to the XP won't load in regular mode (black screen), but will in Safe Mode end but froze when it said quot please wait while your computer reboots quot after waiting more than minutes i hit reset and tried to reboot it myself It did the same Bios-Windows-blackscreen thing as before I also tried booting into Safe Mode which DID work and when I got in there I tried to do a System Restore two actually for two previous dates but both did nothing to resolve the problem I tried simply copying my quot important quot files to my external HD which it sees but it won't copy in Safe Mode When loading in Safe Mode the driver list pauses and says quot press esc to cancel loading of SPTD sys quot but I've tried it both ways and it doesn't make a difference that I can see I tried using my XP CD to boot from which takes me into the Recovery Console and I chose to hit quot R quot to repair but when it asks me what drive I want to login to which is C I don't really know what to do from there I haven't booted from a CD before so I assumed it would run a quot Repair Wizard quot or something but it just brings me to a C Windows prompt I even tried booting with a Knoppix disc that a friend gave me many years ago when I had a different problem Knoppix loads but I can't see my external HD with Knoppix so I can't copy my files I have about gig of files that I want to copy I had more but I backed up everything else weeks ago but if I get those off of the computer I'm completely okay with just reinstalling Windows from scratch In fact I was probably going to do that soon anyways Anyone got any ideas or suggestions Thanks Joe

A:XP won't load in regular mode (black screen), but will in Safe Mode

Just to clarify, I don't really care if the XP installation is fixed, I just want to know if there's a way to get the files off the HD onto an External USB drive. There's gotta be a way... right?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/xp-wont-load-in-regular-mode-black-screen-but-will-in-safe-mode-498228.html
Relevancy 96.32%

Monday morning- Screen pops up saying my laptop wasn t shut down right That it had to run a test to shut it down normal- Test took about welcome F8 with page- mode. at start won't Left &quot;_&quot; all in 1545 past corner safe won't top work Black or Dell to up the screen restore blinking Laptop hrs to complete After test I could get on like normal then once I shut it it shut down and didn t get back on till later that night only to find I CAN quot Laptop 1545 won't start up past the Dell welcome page- Black screen with &quot;_&quot; blinking in top Left corner F8 won't work at all to restore or safe mode. T get past the nbsp Black screen of death- the black screen with the quot quot in top left corner I ve restarted it a lot to see if it would just turn on like normal with no luck I CAN quot T press F without having it beep at me I can only get into F and F and that is it I know my battery is crap has been because it won t charge I also Sunday night uploaded from malware bites web page a free download refreash virus protection again Because somehow it went missing a few weeks before I did find that night I had to big viruses that I did get taken care of which were both trojans I did get onto google com a few times that night with having problems when trying to open the new window in a new tab- Fire Fox - My mother also said her down stairs computer desk top was doing the same with google the day So I m wondering what is going on with everything I ve tried to get a email for tech support but no luck because they say that they don t do anything with my model number- which is only - yrs old I ve got Laptop 1545 won't start up past the Dell welcome page- Black screen with &quot;_&quot; blinking in top Left corner F8 won't work at all to restore or safe mode. a lot saved on the computer but can t get inside at all nbsp I need help getting something done I don t have any of the cds that come with the laptop I do but somewhere I can t find them I was reading others have this problem and have seen it could be from power ac adapter to mother board to just over heating- and of course a virus I need to get this fixed asap But just can t seem to get into safe mode or even restart the whole system- I did do a virus scan Sunday night after deleting Big Fish games which I never used I just can t find out what the heck happen Thanks nbsp

A:Laptop 1545 won't start up past the Dell welcome page- Black screen with &quot;_&quot; blinking in top Left corner F8 won't work at all to restore or safe mode.

Hi Emilie2011,
Welcome to the Community, it could be an issue with the harddrive. I suggest you can start by running the Hardware diagnostics.
To run diagnostics press and hold down the "Fn" key (on the lower left hand bottom of the keyboard)  and turn on the system,it should ideally bring up screen showing Pre-Boot System Assessment.
Another way to run the diagnostics go to F12 screen,scroll down using the "up" and "down" arrow key,choose diagnostics  and press Enter.
If the diagnostics shows any error code/message please post it back.
Since your system is getting stuck on black screen with blinking cursor,you can also try to release flea power.
To release flea power disconnect the charger and remove the battery,press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds,reconnect the battery and charger.Turn on the system and see if it boots to Windows.
Hope this helps,
Thank You
Roshan.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19441817
Relevancy 95.89%

Ok deep breath start from beginning - doing this on wife s laptop as my desktop is messed up It is black in at Now safe screen mode running Vista Home Premium I have Microsoft Security Essentials MSE as my only protection Yesterday I was researching the possible value of some comic books and obviously hit a bad site I will do my best to write here Now at black screen in safe mode all the exact messages I ve received since then but there are many and I was only able to jot down a few so if you need more specifics on a particular error message let me know and I ll try my best First MSE popped Now at black screen in safe mode up - quot MSE detected potential threat and suspended it Click clean computer to remove this threat quot I did so I shut down for several hours came back to work on some things On start-up got quot Failed to connect to windows service quot again there may have been more to this message I couldn t jot down About hours later - quot Host process for windows services stopped working and was closed A problem caused quot At this point I decided a problem existed and did some basics - disk cleanup MSE scan amp Malwarebytes scan MWB found issues The trojan word popped up in there a few times so I cleaned that Did another scan with both Nothing found Started my puter this morning - quot Security Advisor has found suspicious activiy on you PC quot MSE found another threat which I cleaned I did a little work on ebay etc and got MSE detected potential threat quot again Went to click on it lower right and the icon went away before I could I could not find MSE in programs either did search found it clicked on it and got Windows has either found encountered or a problem and will close in one minute Please save all work quot Then it went to a black screen for about min I did a long press on power button since nothing else seemed to work It shut down rebooted itself and went to black screen again VERY frustrated by now so unplugged the damned thing Waited replugged Went to safe mode screen I picked quot Safe quot mode It is now at a black screen with quot Safe Mode quot in four corners Oh and somewhere during all this yesterday I read while investigating this mess to check my Event Log I followed the directions and pulled it up Lots of red s from yesterday but no red X s there were three red X s but from long ago if that helps Whew any help of course appreciated My wife s little laptop sucks to type on

Relevancy 95.89%

I have an emachines computer and the screen recently has gone black, it works in safe mode just fine with no problems. Can anyone help me figure out why this is happening? Thanks.

A:screen goes black unless in safe mode.

Something has likely gone wrong with your display drivers. Try re-installing them in safe mode either from the website of your computer manufacturer or the disks that came with your computer.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/screen-goes-black-unless-in-safe-mode.1072817/
Relevancy 95.89%

I am troubleshooting a problem long distance (I'm in the US, the laptop is in the Philippines). This problem just began after a normal shut down and restart a couple hours later.

The computer, on start up, goes past the splash page but then goes to a black screen with just the cursor. When I have them press f8 in order to get into safe mode the advance options page appears and worked once (I had them do a scan disk and repair) but now the cursor disappears and the arrows won't move the highlight bar so it won't go into Safe Mode. They do not have the installation discs.

So, Windows won't start and Safe Mode can't be accessed and there are no start up discs. Another laptop with Windows is available. Can that laptop create a repair disc that will work? Can Windows be reloaded that way, if necessary?

A:Black Screen/No Safe Mode

Welcome
I would give this a try and hope for the best

If you create a recovery DVD, you may be able to boot to recovery options
Create Recovery DVD

The Vista recovery disk is used to boot Vista when it won't boot - to run Startup Repair, System Restore, access a Command Line, Recover using a Vista Backup Image, etc.
System Recovery Options

If Vista will not start now, boot the Recovery CD to run Startup Repair which automates System Restore as well as numerous other tests including System File Checker which can repair system files which are not corrupted beyond repair.

If Vista still will not start, try booting into Safe Mode to run sfc /scannow to repair System files.
Special Thanks Given to Seven Forums.

Below is a bulletin distributed by MS to explain the start up procedure when Windows will not boot.
Startup Repair. Startup Repair is a Windows recovery tool that can fix certain problems, such as missing or damaged system files, that might prevent Windows from starting. Startup Repair is located on the System Recovery Options menu, which is on the Windows Vista installation disc. If your computer has preinstalled recovery options, it might also be stored on your computer's hard disk. For more information, see Startup Repair: frequently asked questions and What are the system recovery options in Windows Vista? If your computer does not include Startup Repair, your computer manufacturer might have customized or replaced the tool. Check the information that came with your computer or go to the manufacturer's website.Change restart settings in safe mode. If your computer is stuck in a loop where Windows fails, attempts to restart, and then fails again repeatedly, restart your computer in safe mode and select the Disable automatic restart on system failure checkbox. For more information, see Advanced startup options (including safe mode).Reinstall. If no other options have solved the problem, and you are sure that your computer's hardware is functioning normally, you might need to reinstall Windows. A custom (clean) installation of Windows will permanently delete all of the files on your computer and reinstall Windows, so only use this option if all other recovery options have been unsuccessful. After the installation, you will need to reinstall your programs and restore your files from backup copies. For more information, see Installing and reinstalling Windows**.

http://www.vistax64.com/crashes-debugging/287887-black-screen-no-safe-mode.html
Relevancy 95.89%

Hey

Just swapped out a Radeon 7000 for a GeForce tx 5200. Mid way through the auto detect hardware, the screen went black. Now it is always black unless I start in safe mode, in which case it is fine.

I have tried installing new drivers. Still black iscreen in normal xp and working correctly in safe mode.

Any ideas?

A:xp black screen unless in safe mode

When Windows will start in Safe Mode only, it's almost always because of a device or driver issue/compatibility. For some reason your system does not seem to like GeForce graphics hardware so you'll have to put the Radeon back. If you want to upgrade, in view of your problem it would be wise to stick with Radeon cards.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-black-screen-unless-in-safe-mode.1060248/
Relevancy 95.89%

My old secondary machine is starting to show early signs of death.

It had restarted itself sometime during the night, and in the morning I've found it showing a black screen with only the windows cursor showing (WinXP pro. SP2 was applied).

I've restarted it and got the same result. Windows looks like it is loading fine, and everything goes smoothly until we get to the log in prompt. It just doesn't appear.

I've tried restarting it in safe mode to analyze the problem, but I can't. It restarts itself while loading the files.

I've tried last good known configuration, and failed. Got as far as I did with normal configuration, only instead of waiting for a non appearing box, I got an error message saying some files are missing, and an auto restart.

I'm really lost. Any helpful pointers would be appreciated.

A:Black Screen, no safe mode

What is the make of hard drive you have?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-screen-no-safe-mode.619392/
Relevancy 95.89%

Hey all here is my problem I have clean installed my OS weeks ago on new SSD and it is working alright I will be posting Safe in Black only Screen Mode about few issues I have in appropriate forums later though Only warning in system event log for Paragon Backup and Recovery when booting up and warning in application log for zonealarm leaking registry keys when restarting or shutting down According to ZA this is by design and not a problem However if I boot into safe mode I get the black screen with safe mode text in four corners CTRL ALT DEL does work and I can open some applications from Task Manager Yet explorer exe is already running and wont matter if I open another instance of it Things I already tried - Logging off and logging back in suggested by someone which worked once weeks ago when I first tried it Now black screen regardless - Creating a new user account was a normal user not admin and logging with that Black screen again - Ran sfc scannow and nothing is wrong Waiting for any suggestions thanks in advance

A:Black Screen only in Safe Mode

Compare the install you did with the perfect install compiled in Clean Reinstall Windows 7 based on everything that's worked best in tens of thousands of installs we've helped with here, and used by over 1.4 million consumers without a single complaint or return here with problems by those who stick with the tools and methods given.

Otherwise work through the Troubleshooting Steps for Windows 7 starting with Clean Boot, replacing bloatware with recommended free lightweight AV and using Windows Firewall to compare, all checks given for infection, SFC to check for system file damage, resolve repeat errors, and all other steps which go over your install so thoroughly it almost always finds the problem at issue.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/368751-black-screen-only-safe-mode.html
Relevancy 95.89%

Hi,

in msconfig I made the pc to boost in safe mode every time. But when i boost my pc, the monitor is completely black all the time. I hear the fan start running, but the monitor is black from the start. No motherboard logos, no bios, nothing.

I think it might be a problem with safe mode communicating with my monitor or graphics card. My friend suggested my motherboard somehow fried.

Appreciate any help, thanks!

p.s. I'm running on Windows 7, Nvidia GTX970 (or similar)

A:Black screen in safe mode

Hi and welcome to TSG.

Can you provide more information about the PC itself .. make and model for example?
If it is a self / customer build, what is the make and model of the motherboard, CPU, ram, graphics card, hard drives, power supply etc?

I assume everything was working OK until you made the change to the config file?

If you are not getting any display, not even seeing any boot / BIOS info then I would suspect a hardware issue as no drivers are loaded until Windows loads.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-screen-in-safe-mode.1156095/
Relevancy 95.89%

--------------------------------------------------------------- Windows XP Pro SP ASUS M N-SLI Deluxe AMD Athlon X ghz Gb Ram at hz ATI Radeon HD Pro Mb --------------------------------------------------------------- Hi there I cannot boot into safe mode at all It will load all the drivers past Mup sys next one is D sys and Jgogo sys after that it wont even load the login screen or the quot Safe mode black ):-S Safe screen mode quot writing on the corners I have tried other safe modes as well and nothing I have all updated drivers for my M B and GPU etc I also have done spy-ware amp anti virus checks and nothing found I have checked lots of forums and nothing found helps I have Safe mode black screen ):-S tried disabling some ports i e raid scsi on board LAN as I dont use them at Safe mode black screen ):-S all Still refuses to load I m so desperate to find out what it could be The hard drive thats got the OS is a SATA drive so I cannot plug it in to my other PC as it uses IDE Have tried pretty much everything except reformat and repair And I do not want to format that s for sure as I have so many updates and need to install SP again and don t have time for it I have ghost backups but no point because same problem still exists with those images aswell And I don t use system restore ONLY thing recently added is some critical updates But don t see why this would cause it not to load If any extra info is needed please let me know I have attached ntbtlog txt if it helps as it really doesn t help me Any assistance is greatly appreciated to help nail this annoying problem right on the noggin nbsp

Relevancy 95.89%

I have a gateway computer that is about years old It has a ati radeon gfx card and came with gigs RAM Recently I purchased x gb G Skill OK mode, screen Black safe mode normal DDR ram upgrade in hopes of more efficient gaming gfx card is OK for gb ram max After installing the new ram about a month ago the computer was running fine The new ram created a button on my toolbar called Black screen normal mode, safe mode OK AMD Catalyst and right-click gave identical options for each ram card one was a list of what looked like screen settings I know it were running on x and last night my troublesome youngest son was using my computer and says he clicked a different option by accident making the screen freeze momentarily then go black I've tried restarting my computer removing the G Skill ram cards under msconfig in safe mode disabling AMD Catalyst for it seems to be the root of the problem But every time i restart my computer and try booting in Black screen normal mode, safe mode OK normal mode I get the typical Welcome ring from the speakers accompanied by a black screen The screen is a quot Vizio flatscreen tv with VGA hook up been using for a computer screen for over a year now Any ideas Thanks in advance

A:Black screen normal mode, safe mode OK

If you can go back to good times with system restore, you will be fine.
System Restore - How to
Put all cards back, etc. before the restore.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/295587-black-screen-normal-mode-safe-mode-ok.html
Relevancy 95.89%

So my laptop only starts up in safe mode and when I try to access it through normal startup, a blue screen appears for a short amount of time and then attempts to startup again going on and on in a never ending cycle.

However, I got it running on safe mode and ran Malwaebytes Anti-Malware on safe mode (with networking). However, it didn't pick up anything wrong. What can I do to fix this???

A:Vista only starts in Safe Mode and blue screen appears in normal mode

Hi There ghostOnthestage!For a rather lengthy but very informative article on stop errors and what may possibly cause them go here: http://www.updatexp.com/stop-messages.html Perhaps this will help a bit until someone more knowledgeable on this subject can come along. Good luck!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/222740/vista-only-starts-in-safe-mode-and-blue-screen-appears-in-normal-mode/
Relevancy 95.89%

Hey,

I am having a problem with a laptop, I am getting a blue screen when starting in normal mode, but if I start in safe mode it starts up and logs in fine.

I am not being told what is causing a problem, just to uninstall any new programs/hardware, but nothing has been installed at all.

Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Thanks for any help :)

A:Starting up fine in safe mode but blue screen with normal mode

Go here Windows Vista/7 BOSD Posting instructions follow all instructions to the letter, using all tools illustrated. Then proceed to the next steps by posting your logs. Keep your posts and logs (logs mini dumps etc...) in BOSD, App crashes, and hangs.

Be patient they get a lot of inquires. Someone will be along to help you.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/starting-up-fine-in-safe-mode-but-blue-screen-with-normal-mode-674605.html
Relevancy 95.03%

I am experiencing the black screen issues with my new windows lenovo laptop when it starts normally I can get to my user logon screen but when I select a profile the computer takes a moment to load through Black no screen, networking safe mode, the welcome part and then just a faint light blue screen with cursor In normal mode I have a cursor but no button or keyboard functionality whatsoever I can boot the computer into safe mode with full safe mode functionality I have spent literally days working on the Black screen, safe mode, no networking issue I have tried everything I can to this point Re-installing my graphics driver disabling it all together and trying a new boot same result I've deleted all user accounts and created new Black screen, safe mode, no networking ones as I said this laptop was brand new so I don't have a lot of personal data on Black screen, safe mode, no networking it none anymore as well as checked my winlogon shell to verify explorer exe System restore and Boot repair are also not working to help the issue at all Please I need help my girlfriend needs to use the laptop for school so I have to get it running quickly and cheaply

A:Black screen, safe mode, no networking

Hi gagnrad ,Welcome to the forums, As the laptop is brand new so still under warranty I personnally would return it to the retailer and let them sort it out for you

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/195975-black-screen-safe-mode-no-networking.html
Relevancy 95.03%

A few days ago while surfing the net my browser close down After I received a Dr Watson error message It wouldn t go away I turned off the computer and the next day tried booting it back up For days rebooting gave my a black screen a flicker then a grey screen The mouse arrow and hourglass are visible but nothing else Today rebooting brought my to a quot safe mode quot like appearance but nowhere does it state I am in safe mode Icons are big original desktop icons appeared like Easy Internet Sign up I was able to run a HJT report but cannot connect to the internet I ran Spybot it found some files and am currently running SuperAntispyware Nothing seems to be detected yet Norton said I should try to reconnect but clicking quot repair quot but it did not work I am wondering how I can post my HJT file if I can t get it to the internet Can I load it on a jump drive or would that just transfer any virus spyware onto this computer Thank you in advance for your help and patience Kim nbsp

A:Black screen, then safe mode appearance

I wanted to add, while bumping my post, that my husband told me that the reason the screen appears to be in safe mode is because he "pressed f8" to reboot Win XP. Not sure if this info is helpful or not, but thought I'd put out there.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-screen-then-safe-mode-appearance.811438/
Relevancy 95.03%

Hey guys I got Windows XP Running it suddenly crashes problem. Black screen Mode/ Safe and restarts restarting like usual etc etc but then before it even gets to the big windows xp logo screen it just has a black screen with the little white thing flashing where you usually type Safe Mode/ Black screen problem. like in ms dos but I cant type anything So I restarted again but no luck I tried to force a safe mode by turning it off and on and but no luck Pressed the f key in various ways sometimes early sometimes late in between etc but Safe Mode/ Black screen problem. all I would get would be is a blue screen with quot Please select boot device quot with the names of my hard drives I think the floppy drive and the dvd drive But when I select any one of those it just goes to the black screen again Im confused I even tried to press f after selecting an option but nothing came of it Any ideas I'm thinking of doing a Recovery Console or whatever but is that too complex for someone like me

A:Safe Mode/ Black screen problem.

Power on your computer and look for instructions on your screen that say *Press F2, Delete, F10 (or whatever) to enter Setup*. Go into Setup and look for your Boot Order. Make sure your hard drive is selected as the first boot device. Save & Exit.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/safe-mode-black-screen-problem-568518.html
Relevancy 95.03%

Hello I recently had my laptop fail in a strange Cursor, Safe Black Screen mode with too. way My gf handed me the laptop after trying to load Minecraft It crashed the computer to Black Screen with Cursor, Safe mode too. a BSOD and I attempted a system restore I'm sure the BSOD was related to my graphics card Nvidia It looked like Black Screen with Cursor, Safe mode too. it had succeeded yet after several hours the restore ended and reported failure I restarted and loaded into safe mode w command prompt It loads into windows fine at least it seems because I am left with a cursor and a black background screen I can move the mouse about I press alt ctrl del and no dialog box appears I tried the stickykeys trick but that wont show up let alone I'd disabled it in the past I am stuck at this black window with a cursor I then scanned the HDD by taking it out and using my external bay I used chkdsk r and it found something with a bitmap error It corrected the volume I also used sfc scannow pointing toward the external drive pulled HDD from my laptop Again nothing found out of the ordinary I thought the original chkdsk scan worked I put the laptop back together and Same results Black screen with cursor in safemode all options and regular boot I have followed these posts tutorials so far tl dr Black Screen with cursor in all boot modes after following other searched posts guides still broke http www bleepingcomputer com forums t black-screen-on-startup-cant-load-safe-mode iframe I also tried Avira Rescue System and it failed after scanning I am also trying another homebrew rescue disk I downloaded That bootdisc did not find errors with my boot partition because I can boot fine

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/628864/black-screen-with-cursor-safe-mode-too/
Relevancy 95.03%

First im sorry that i cant run your sys info program im in safe mode and it wont let me run it I have hooked my HP pavillion using amd core II processers and a raedon graphics card from ati I can get more info later if you need it I have hooked my PC to my Sansui quot HDLCD tv to use as my monitor it works for a time and works great then at random intervals sometimes hours sometimes a week the image goes black this is not sleep mode i have fixed all the settings mode screen safe works in only Black for this occurance i have tried to update the driver from ati but the pc is having trouble installling the software when the screen goes black it will only work in safe mode I can restore the pc to a previous version a few days prior and it works for a time but the same problem occurs please help i like using my pc like this and would like it to work properly nbsp

Relevancy 95.03%

Hello laptop model ASUS ROG G JW I'm having a serious problem I decided to replace my windows back to windows When i installed it it was working Then i installed nvidia graphics driver chipset drivers required to restart computer i did not audio drivers required to restart computer i did not ATK drivers required to restart computer i did not then nvidia experience suggested me to download new version of grapichs driver so i started downloading it Furthermore i went to install directx setup did not start and computer got lagged I end tasked the directx setup and decided to restart windows But it did not restart I was waiting like mins and it still it was showing Restarting Then i forcibly shut down the computer by holding power button for few seconds Now when it loads up I can only see a black screen and my mouse cursor can also move it Any solution to this I think i would be able to fix it if i could enter safe mode but shift f and f doesn't work for me because my laptop has SSD And i can't open it through windows because it doesn't load Yours sincerely Eligijus

A:Black screen on startup, Can't go into safe mode because have SSD

The system should be able to boot to SafeMode even if it has an SSD.
You can't use the F8 method in W8/8.1/10 - it doesn't work
Rather restart the system while holding down the Shift key - that should get you to the diagnostics screen in Windows

From there you can try many different things.
You could also download install media for W10 and boot from that to see if you can repair the system.

If it doesn't work, then we also have to wonder about the hard drive.
Please run these free diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hddiag.html

If you can't get into Windows, then there's not much else to do short of a wipe and reinstall of Windows.
I've had black screen issues with other Asus systems (particularly the G20AJ) and the "fix" there is to delete the display adapters in Device Manager (while in Safe Mode)
That makes the system boot so you can see/use the Desktop in normal mode.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/587745/black-screen-on-startup-cant-go-into-safe-mode-because-have-ssd/
Relevancy 95.03%

Hello I would really appreciate some help with the following issue I'm posting this in the driver section because I have a feeling that the problem is driver related So my brother is getting a black screen of death on his laptop And by that I mean a blank screen with just of safe mode even Black in - death screen the cursor after login It doesn't matter how many times is the computer restarted the desktop won't load He installed some games prior to this and it seems that the Nvidia driver had some problems I don't know exactly at which point did it stop working Somehow there are no restore points whatsoever What did NOT fix the issue - Booting into safe mode The black screen persists - Running chkdsk and sfc from RE No problems found - Moving the Nvidia driver - Automatic startup fix in RE - Memory diagnostics in RE - Booting to last known working configuration Before doing a full backup and a repair or clean install I wanted to make sure that there are no other options Do you think I can try something else Googling didn't give me any more ideas P Thanks in advance Black screen of death - even in safe mode

A:Black screen of death - even in safe mode

Tried a System Restore prior to Nvidia drivers yet?

Can you get to Task Manager (CTRL+ALT+DEL responsive)?

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/371014-black-screen-death-even-safe-mode.html
Relevancy 95.03%

Okay I ve had my computer for two years and over the years there have been minor problems but nothing I couldn t work out how to fix within a couple Black Mode Screen Safe in Fine - of days but for the past month or so my computer kept randomly shutting itself down then a few days ago it when I tried to log in in normal mode the screen went black before the log in screen came up although the noise to log in still came and everything else seemed to be working fine there s nothing wrong with the monitor or the connection as in safe mode everything works fine it makes one long beep then two short beeps when i first turn it on which I believe means it is a video adapter problem I have tried replacing the ram and nothing changed I tried clearing out the dust nothing changed I tried running Black Screen - Fine in Safe Mode a virus scan all clear I tried re setting the whole computer and still no luck so please please help me I have no idea what else to do

A:Black Screen - Fine in Safe Mode

Please check the website of your bios provider to check the beep codes. If it is the display adapter, you may need to replace it.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/440775/black-screen-fine-in-safe-mode/
Relevancy 95.03%

Please help I have xp on a persario f i tried to set up laptop to connect to a tv but it would not show screen on tv so i installed a copy of divx on laptop and watched film on laptop instead Shut down laptop next time i turned it on i get windows logo then black screen can hear pop ups on laptop screen From mode or cd safe boot Cant black but no screen I have tried last known config from bios still the same booting vga mode still the same booting from safe mode but machine freezes after a load of white writing appears on the screen booting from xp disk to reinstall still the same It seems to me that it is set up for Cant boot From safe mode or cd black screen tv mode but when i connect to a tv vis s-video and press fn still no picture what every i do i get a black screen after windows logo appears please help me i cant think of anything else its driving me mad nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-boot-from-safe-mode-or-cd-black-screen.857326/
Relevancy 95.03%

Having a problem with my sister s XP system It boots up fine normally then Norton pops up a warning that trojan vundo has been found and can t be automatically removed Went to the Symantec site and downloaded their manual remover and followed the instructions restore off disconnect from the net etc The scanner remover runs safe XP screen a black to boots mode and does locate a few files that it says are suspicious then pops up at the end and says that trojan vundo has not been found The warning message never disappears from the screen at any time I then XP safe mode boots to a black screen tried to boot the computer in safe mode to attempt the same scan remove This is where my real problem occurs the safe mode prompts all work as advertised eventually reaching the welcome screen with a default graphics driver I select ANY username and the system completes booting into a safe mode window complete with the words quot Safe Mode quot in all four corners and absolutely nothing else It s a totally black screen No icons No start button No nothing The mouse navigates but no amount of clicking or double clicking does anything I can ctrl-alt-del and produce the task manager I can tab between the applications processes networking and such and XP safe mode boots to a black screen have to eventually use the task manager to either log off exit windows or restart the computer At this point I m more concerned about the safe mode failure than I am the trojan I can solve that problem with one of several scanners that I ve downloaded but I really want to knock out this black screen Any ideas nbsp

Relevancy 95.03%

I booted up my computer days ago and logged in under my user name and there were no desktop icons or taskbar so I restarted my computer and tried every user Black Screen SAFE Freeze MODE XP still nothing I went to msconfig to restore it to a earlier point and when it restarted I went to my user name and still nothing so I went to msconfig again and booted it up in safe mode when it restarted right before the user names screen came up a black screen with quot SAFE MODE quot in all four corners pops up for about or seconds then the XP Black SAFE MODE Screen Freeze user name screen XP Black SAFE MODE Screen Freeze comes up with the ADMIN and the rest of the user names it doesn t matter what name I log in as it always goes to the same black Safe Mode screen as before but it will freeze there forever So I had to manually shut it down When it restarted I hit F to get it out of safe mode and chose restart computer normally then when it restarts the same exact thing thing happens I ve tried every option at the F selection screen So I put in a cd with Mepis Linux on it that my cousin gave me but I didn t install it I have been running it off the disk And I have no clue what to do next My Specs are AMD Athlon ghz Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack MB DDR GB Hard Drive ATI Radeon -Does anybody know how to do a system restore in Mepis Linux without reformatting the whole computer nbsp

Relevancy 95.03%

Hello,

I got a problem. I have to load the safe mode for installing Steam after a crash. So I entered the advanced boot menu and chose Safe Mode with Networking. It started loading some .sys files. After a lot (I think it was loaded correctly) of .sys files my screen froze and after 3 seconds some weird blue dots appeared and (Left upper corner. Every dot was like 10x30 pixels) after some more seconds my screen turned black. No cursor, no login screen. How can I log in to the safe mode?!

~ Netra

Relevancy 95.03%

So I'm basically computer illiterate and I'm not sure where exactly this should go because it might not be a Vista issue but (lots of rambling short) I could use some help.

My eight year old laptop is still running Vista, and recently started having this issue. After going through all the normal boot up screens and sequences, but after the login screen it opens on a black screen, but my cursor is still active. There's nothing to click on, but ctrl alt del works, and when I start the task manager it works, but shows nothing is on. However, when I boot up in safe mode everything is there. All my icons and background and stuff.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated, even if it's just telling me where this should actually go.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/loading-to-a-black-screen-but-not-in-safe-mode.1169517/
Relevancy 95.03%

i have the same problem, my laptop screen is totally damaged, i cant see anything and after going jn safe mode, the external screen is not working. Please help

A:safe mode, black external screen

The advice is simple, get the laptop screen replaced. External monitor won't work in safe mode anyway because in safe mode Windows only loads a basic graphics driver (instead of the manufacturer's driver) which doesn't support two separate displays.message edited by phil22

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-8/safe-mode-black-external-screen/1779.html
Relevancy 95.03%

Hello laptop model quot ASUS ROG G JW quot I'm having a serious problem I decided to replace my windows back into Can't go Black screen SSD mode safe at because startup, to windows When i installed it it was working Then Black screen at startup, Can't go into safe mode because SSD i installed nvidia graphics driver chipset drivers required to restart computer i did not audio drivers required to restart Black screen at startup, Can't go into safe mode because SSD computer i did not ATK drivers required to restart computer i did not then quot nvidia experience quot suggested me to download new version of grapichs driver so i started downloading it Furthermore i went to install directx setup did not start and computer got quot lagged quot I quot end tasked quot the directx setup and decided to restart windows But it did not restart I was waiting like mins and it still it was showing quot Restarting quot Then i forcibly shut down the computer by holding power button for few seconds Now when it loads up I can only see a black screen and my mouse cursor can also move it Any solution to this I think i would be able to fix it if i could enter safe mode but shift f and f doesn't work for me because my laptop has SSD And i can't open it through windows because it doesn't load Yours sincerely Eligijus

A:Black screen at startup, Can't go into safe mode because SSD

Wow um.....OK then well it seems some how one way or another your diver for your graphics card got corrupted maybe? Try leaving it on when it gets to that screen for about 20-30mins if it last that long so try that come back with the results

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/black-screen-at-startup-cant-go-into-safe-mode-because-ssd-1035857.html
Relevancy 95.03%

My laptop seems to hang after the login screen the screen either goes completely black or sometimes shows the desktop picture and an empty taskbar but I am Safe after mode screen login, OK Black unable to do anything such as task manager Leaving the system running for - minutes after trying ctrl-alt-del will bring up some error message but I forget what it said I'll try to get it again I can get into Black screen after login, Safe mode OK Safe Mode just fine and ran the SF Diagnostic Tool from there I have attached the files it created as requested The laptop hung on me on shutdown before this issue started and after waiting Black screen after login, Safe mode OK for minutes for it to try to shut down normally it wasn't responding so I had to power it down I'm thinking that might've fudged something up but I'm unsure if there were any windows updates queued at the time or not I'm really unsure what to do at this point there aren't any System Restore points I didn't remember turning it off but I must have at some point

A:Black screen after login, Safe mode OK

Does a clean boot start succesfully?
Troubleshoot Application Conflicts by Performing a Clean Startup
if so... turn your restore points on.

Post results

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/246589-black-screen-after-login-safe-mode-ok.html
Relevancy 95.03%

hi guys, can you help me with this?

I have followed advise on a previous thread and reinstalled windows in a repair mode in an attempt to get the explorer reinstalled, however, after repeated attempts and with 37 mins to go, my keyboard and mouse are disconneted so I can't reply to a device manager query and have to abort the repair.

My OS is XP service pack 3
Dell
Recent problems from Braviax
Installed PC Tools
System started to go slow, resulting in black screen event.

So, what can I do next (that doesn't involve formatting my hard drive)?

A:Black screen on bootup and in safe mode, HELP

Pull the hard drive out of the computer and put it in a External USB enclosure/adapter. Attach it to a working computer and backup all important data. Put the drive back in said computer and put the XP CD in and Format and Re-Install XP.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/black-screen-on-bootup-and-in-safe-mode-help-414326.html
Relevancy 95.03%

I can login but it goes to a black screen and then a window pops up saying c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe
I understand I have to remove that from my computer but I cannot get into safe mode. I hold shift and click restart and it never loads. When im on black desktop I get a pop up window wanting to open a (.js)? File but that does nothing. I cant even get ctrl alt del to come up. I tried shift alt esc. And numerous other things to no avail.. please help!

A:Black screen cant access safe mode

Sounds like windows has crashed. You may need to reinstall Win 8. Or if your computer or laptop has a recovery partition, Try using that.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/black-screen-cant-access-safe-mode.213636/
Relevancy 95.03%

hello, I started msconfig.exe (system configuration) the boot tab
Check "safe boot" with minimal option
reboot the computer, I see the miscrosoft logo with spinning dot for few seconds and then a black screen (no mouse, nothing)
The PC (dell M6700) was working fine up to now , I just wanted to start a sfc /scan from safe mode but now I'm stuck in safe mode with a black screen
thanks for your help

w.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/3cb399c8-843e-46f6-a87b-b0fc6a2460c0/windows-81-black-screen-in-safe-mode?forum=w8itprogeneral
Relevancy 95.03%

Hi all I recently experience a problem with my desktop computer after working on it throughout the day amp shutting down as normal at the end of the day as I returned the following day to continue I was met with a change safe even mode on login after screen - Black of font amp block like tiles on the login users screen which I thought was bizarre after logging in I came to a stand still black screen with no options available amp no idea why I am experiencing this problem as my computer was fine the following night It does not allow me to access task manager to see what processes are currently running After restarting amp attempting to boot into safe mode it does the exact same thing amp I can't get further then the black screen after login I'm clueless as to why this is happening as Black screen after login - even on safe mode I said my computer was fine hours Black screen after login - even on safe mode ago Does anyone know what has gone wrong How can I fix Any help would be appreciated

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forum/windows-29/black-screen-after-login-even-safe-mode-4599736/
Relevancy 95.03%

Here's the story The charger on my laptop went out unbeknown to me The laptop had been running on battery and the battery mode? the Should into Screen Death. Black have I safe of go I had run down I closed the lid with a view to keeping it in a law power state until I could get a new charger But then I I have the Black Screen of Death. Should I go into safe mode? realized that I needed to get files off the machine I opened the lid and did I have the Black Screen of Death. Should I go into safe mode? so However The battery had essentially run out of power by the time I had finished Then I took it home and connected the charger to a different outlet and saw an indicator light come on Thus I felt that it was safe to turn on the computer Bad move the black screen of death came up and then the power went totally out I just got a new charger and I am convinced that it works and that that was the original problem thus it's time to turn on the laptop However I have a felling the black screen of death is going to come up when I do so I have been told that you can F into safe mode and then restart the machine from there Is this true I have a modern Toshiba laptop running Vista What should I do if and when I get into safe mode Thanks

A:I have the Black Screen of Death. Should I go into safe mode?

Well first turn on the computer and see what it does. No one can really help you until you do so. Tell us what happens and then we can advise on what to do.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/217870/i-have-the-black-screen-of-death-should-i-go-into-safe-mode/
Relevancy 95.03%

When I try to start up, I get stuck on the black screen that says "windows cannot start up", and gives me the following options; start windows normally, last known good configuration, safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt. I've tried all of these and it still comes back to the black screen.

This started when I was changing the startup list of programs and deleting some entries using CCleaner, then rebooted.

The first few times I got the black screen, I was able to go into safe mode and do a system restore. But then I would reboot and end up back at the black screen. After doing the restore three times, it's now just stuck on the black screen. I can't get into safe mode or boot up at all.

What do I do to boot up and fix whatever problems I created?

A:Black screen, can't startup in safe mode

You may try booting to the xp cd, and do a repair install of the os.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/black-screen-cant-startup-in-safe-mode-435866.html
Relevancy 95.03%

Greetings,

I have a Dell Latitude running Windows 7 x64 Enterprise that is suffering from the Black Screen of Death.  I cannot boot into SAFE MODE (or any other mode) whatsoever.  I have the drive hooked up via a SATA to USB converter and have noticed the following 3 files at the root of the C: drive:

bootsqm.dat
KBSERVICE.SHUTDOWN
ntuser.dat

I have run Combofix and Malwarebytes on the machine that the bad drive is attached to, but neither program found anything.  The KBSERVICE.SHUTDOWN file has a modified date very similar to the time that the computer first had the problem.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Andrew

A:Windows 7 Black Screen - no safe mode available

DISREGARD.  User has opted to salvage data and reload Windows.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/542659/windows-7-black-screen-no-safe-mode-available/
Relevancy 95.03%

Yesterday my Vista computer ran its battery all the way down and experienced a forced shut-down because of it After I plugged it into the power line and turned it back on it seemed to load normally until I type in my password and hit 'enter' After that the quot welcome quot screen shows a quot loading of mode, death log-in after No black safe screen quot symbol for about seconds then everything is black There isn't even a cursor The dreaded Black Screen of Death without even the task manager or quot my computer quot showing up Nothing is on the screen I'm running Windows Vista version SP I have avast antivirus set to automatically scan update daily Computer HP Pavilion 'Entertainment PC' laptop I believe it has GB ram but it might be GB I have never had the bsod on this laptop before I purchased it almost exactly year ago Safe mode also has the BSOD I can run safe mode with command prompt I can't start task manager after hitting ctrl - alt No safe mode, black screen of death after log-in - delete I tried running system restore with the rstrui exe command in safe mode and nothing comes up I also tried the following chain of commands as detailed here http www computing net answers win in html type c Enter type cd Enter type copy C Windows explorer exe C Windows System dllcache Enter or type copy C Windows System dllcache explorer exe C Windows Enter I don't know what else to do and I don't want to make things worse I've searched the forums and can't find anyone else with such a severe case of bsod - I literally can't run anything except safe mode with command prompt and even that seems dicey Thanks for reading and helping

Relevancy 95.03%

Am in abit of trouble here what's happening is I can't get back into Windows am getting black screen with cursor I tried many diff things with no avail and also left it into computer repair shop and they tell me I have a damaged partition and that the only way around it is a fresh reinstall which I don't want, am just wondering is their any other way around to retrieving data with some kind of software I could use? Thanks in advance

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/597393/black-screen-with-cursor-no-safe-mode/
Relevancy 95.03%

Basically im in need of help, updated to windows 8 and all was well with it and then tried to load it up and it just loaded up black, now it seems to be the graphics card drivers that are doing it and the solution would appear to un-installing however i cant uninstall and cant boot up safe mode. please can someone help me.
Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3GHz
8GB
Nvidia GTX 560
anyone?

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/15335-windows-8-black-screen-no-safe-mode.html
Relevancy 95.03%

Hello I m having a serious problem I decided to replace my windows go I safe startup, screen Black SSD have into on Can't mode because back to windows When i installed it it was working Then i installed nvidia graphics driver Black screen on startup, Can't go into safe mode because I have SSD chipset drivers required to restart computer i did not audio drivers required to restart computer i did not ATK drivers required to restart computer i did not then quot nvidia experience quot suggested me to download new version of grapichs driver so i started downloading it Furthermore i went to install directx setup did not start and computer got quot lagged quot I quot end tasked quot the directx setup and decided to restart windows But it did not restart I was waiting like mins and it still it was showing quot Restarting quot Then i forcibly shut down the computer by holding power button for few seconds Now when it loads up I can only see a black screen and my mouse cursor can also move it Any solution to this I think i would be able to fix it if i could enter safe mode but shift f and f doesn t work for me because my laptop has SSD And i can t open it through windows because it doesn t load Yours sincerely Eligijus nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-screen-on-startup-cant-go-into-safe-mode-because-i-have-ssd.1154390/