Windows Support Forum

Delete hard drive partition data

Q: Delete hard drive partition data

My bother had deleted my laptop partition files and folders when attempting to extend my C partition. All my stored partition movies were lost and could not be found in Recycle Bin. Do you know where these partition videos are? I really want to view these videos again. What can I do to rescue them? Thank you for any advice!

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Delete hard drive partition data

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Delete hard drive partition data

Hey, Luminaton03!

Sorry to hear you are experiencing such an issue.
Your data is stilll there somewhere as long as you don't overwrite it. If you save new data, it would rewrite your previous files.
I did some research for you and I found a threat that you might find helpful:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...back-the/a003d747-b760-42a7-819b-0235e8ec6d2c

I really hope this works for you!
Good luck!

SuperSoph_WD

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/delete-hard-drive-partition-data.204583/
Relevancy 77.83%

hi
I have a 6.5GB WD Caviar that is giving me a real problem and I was wondering if anyone might have an answer.

When I do FDISK it tells me that the drive has an Extended DOS Partiton which contains a Logical DOS drive. If I choose to display the Logical drive info, it tells me that there are no Logical drives defined.

If I try to delete the Extended DOS Partition it tells me that it cannot delete it while Logical drives exist. If I choose to delete this Logical drive it tells me that all Logical drives are deleted.

I think this drive had a virus on it, but I was under the impression that the FDISK commands were not affected by viruses and I had quarantined the virus anyway.

Anybody got any ideas?

thanks

Relevancy 76.97%

Hi,
My external hard drive (WD Passport) is not showing up on my computer. I think it must have disconnected from my laptop before it had finished writing the files. I can find it in 'disk management, hard drives' but its not showing up in partition managers. See pics below. I really need the photos that are on the hard drive so re-formatting is not an option.

TIA

A:How do I partition a hard drive without losing data?

You can't, to my knowledge, partition a hard disk without losing the data that is on it.

It sounds as though your drive has failed. There are recovery options that are sometimes available. I'll let more experienced members of the forum help with that. Just don't do anything with that drive until a more experienced member can help you, please.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/361433-how-do-i-partition-hard-drive-without-losing-data.html
Relevancy 76.54%

When I copied data from the hard drive on my Windows ME to an external hard drive I noticed items which I thought that I had deleted months before. I know that there are programs that can totally write over a hard drive but is there a program that can only delete certain files and leave everything else. I've been looking at this http://www.snapfiles.com/get/eraser.html It says that it can do that but how do you dredge up specific previously deleted items in order to use such a program? Thanks for any help offered.

Relevancy 76.54%

I have the same XPS One A2420 and box to sell.
What is safe way to wipe out hard drive, and is this difficult to do with just "home owner skills?"  

A:How do I safely delete data from hard drive?

Coluccio
I have the same XPS One A2420 and box to sell.
What is safe way to wipe out hard drive, and is this difficult to do with just "home owner skills?"  
Coluccio
I've found DBAN, very effective for erasing all the data from a hard drive.
Go HERE for more information.
You could also, perform a clean reinstall of the operating system, this would wipe the hard drive as part of reinstalling the operating system.
Bev.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19992623
Relevancy 76.11%

I have Windows XP operating system and I want to move the C drive partition to make the C drive larger. But I do not want to lose the data that is now stored on the C drive. Thank you for helping

A:Moving the hard drive partition without deleting data

I'd look at one of the many utlities available for doing just that, like Norton Ghost. In fact many retail drives that you purchase include a disk for doing that. I know that Seagate and Maxtor both include utilities for migrating HD's.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/moving-the-hard-drive-partition-without-deleting-data-269222.html
Relevancy 76.11%

I have a disk with 2 partictions. Recently my system would not recognise either one of them. However I have got lucky and XP home is able to read from one of these 2 partitioned drives. However when copying some files from this drive I get message - Data error :Cyclic redundancy check. But this is only sometimes and I have been able to copy most of my data off this drive.

My big problem is that the second partition is unaccesible. Xp recognises this drive as as drive G: but it is unable to read it.

Just for info when booting I get a Master File Table error.

Can anyone recomend any software tools to recover my data. Would really really be a huge help.

Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/data-recovery-problems-from-1-partition-of-hard-drive.431979/
Relevancy 76.11%

I have read many posts about this here but many of them talk about WinXP I also have read some solutions but want to have some verification before I proceed Here is what happened I have hard drives connected to the computer They are of varying sizes and brands Hard drive is a gb Maxtor this originally had the OS on it but I deleted all and installed Win on hard drive this was a long time ago Hard drive is a WD gb Hard drive is a WD GB I had Hard drive set up as the master due to the OS being on this a long time ago When I installed the OS on hard drive partition delete missing is hard drive ntldr after I forgot to change it to the master so it was still set as a slave and number in the boot order So after that this was the standing order first to boot--- hard drive misc data only second---- cdrw third---- hard drive with OS on it Fourth---- hard drive misc data only This worked fine with no problems at all until I decided to delete all partitions on hard drive This hard drive had not been used for a long time anyway and the data on it had been cloned to the hard drive into ntldr is missing after hard drive partition delete partitions It should be noted that I was using Roxio s Goback personal edition until now Before deleting the partitions on hard drive I had to disable GoBack I did that and used Partitionmagic to delete the partitions on hard drive When I clicked quot Apply quot it reminded me that this partition was set as active and if I deleted it than I would have to set another partition as active So I set hard drive as active it contains the OS and rebooted for the changes to take affect This is when the problems started At this point the computer said on boot up NTLDR is missing press any key All hard drives were showing at bootup by the way When I pressed any key Windows will boot up fine So I changed the drive configuration around to look like this hard drive was moved to CDRom moved to last in boot order Hard drive moved to Hard drive moved to So Hard drive with OS on it was now the Master and active and the others were all slaves As I said Win boots up just fine after the NTLDR is Missing press any key message comes up Now if I Enable GoBack the computer becomes unbootable and gives a non system disk error If I disable GoBack I still get the NTLDR message but it will boot I have done some research and think I know what to do Please help to verify this Since the Hard drive was cloned on to HArd drive the following files are probably on Hard Drive NTLDR NTDETECT COM BOOT INI I could copy them to hard drive but using a Boot CD I do not have a floppy drive Or To use a boot disk to start your computer follow these steps Create a Windows boot disk that contains the following files Ntldr Ntdetect com Boot ini Ntbootdd sys Modify the Boot ini file to point to the correct hard disk controller and to the correct volume for your Windows installation Insert the boot disk into the computer s floppy disk drive and then restart the computer Copy the Ntldr file the Ntdetect com file and the Boot ini file from the boot disk to the system partition of the local hard disk Since Win will bootup without a problem after the NTLDR is missing message comes up the problem must be easily fixable These are the two solutions I have seen that seem like they should work Should I do this or not nbsp

A:ntldr is missing after hard drive partition delete

still looking for advice.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ntldr-is-missing-after-hard-drive-partition-delete.206137/
Relevancy 76.11%

I have bought a HP DM Windows GB hard drive GB RAM and I want to partition the C Windows drive into two - one partition? can add What new partitions so or a I drive can delete, hard I resize partition containing only Windows and other Windows programs - What hard drive partitions can I delete, so I can resize or add a new partition? the second partition containing games and data The reason for this is that I can then create an image of the fully working C drive containing only Windows and related programs so that if when Windows needs reinstalling in the future I can just copy the image back over the C drive restoring the laptop to it's working state I can do that even if there's only one partition of course but the image will be huge so I' rather have two partitions and only create an image of the first partition Plus if there are two partitions then the second partition will survive my 'rolling back' the laptop when I put the image back onto the C drive so I won't lose anything I've put onto the second partition in the meantime So I was going to resize the current C drive which is GB without losing the data I've done this before the software handles the data organisation automatically into two partitions but the problem is the laptop's hard drive already has four partition and aparently it's not possible to put another partiton on there Is this correct and if so can I resize one of the existing partitions say E the GB partition and shrink the C partition by a corresponding amount and use that partition for my games and data And if so will the built in recovery software still work I probably won't ever need it as the C drive image will be enough but it would be nice to have the option If I don't need the built in recovery if an image of the working C drive is enough then can I delete all of the software on E and resize E reducing the GB partition and use E as my data partition Or is it possible to restructure the drive to give me two partitions I can use as well as the three that already exist for the system The current default I've not altered them paritions are shown in Acronis Home Image as C pri act MB D pri GB E pri GB F pri MB Is it safe to delete F in which case I'd then have three partitions allowing me to change the GB partition to two partiitons Or can I Also how does Windows see the GB drive as C when Acronis which I boot into via USB stick sees it as D Thanks for any answers

A:What hard drive partitions can I delete, so I can resize or add a new partition?

If you want to parition more, please use logical partition. If you are MBR disk, the maxium partition is four primary partition, or three primary partition and one logical partition. That is the limitation. However, if there are logical partitions, you can create more you want, no limitation for numbers.

PS: you'd better leave enough space for system drive, because it has relationship with system speed.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/505884/what-hard-drive-partitions-can-i-delete-so-i-can-resize-or-add-a-new-partition/
Relevancy 76.11%

I partition? drive can partitions delete, can What add or a so hard resize I I new have bought a What hard drive partitions can I delete, so I can resize or add a new partition? HP DM Windows GB hard drive GB RAM and I want to partition the C Windows drive into two - one partition containing only Windows and other Windows programs - the second partition containing games and data The reason for this is that I can then create an image of the fully working C drive containing only Windows and related programs so that if when Windows needs reinstalling in the future I can just copy the image back over the C drive restoring the laptop to it s working state I can do that even if there s only one partition of course but the image will be huge so I rather have two partitions and only create an image of the first partition Plus if there are two partitions then the second partition will survive my rolling back the laptop when I put the image back onto the C drive so I won t lose anything I ve put onto the second partition in the meantime So I was going to resize the current C drive which is GB without losing the data I ve done this before the software handles the data organisation automatically into two partitions but the problem is the laptop s hard drive already has four partition and aparently it s not possible to put another partiton on there Is this correct and if so can I resize one of the existing partitions say E the GB partition and shrink the C partition by a corresponding amount and use that partition for my games and data And if so will the built in recovery software still work I probably won t ever need it as the C drive image will be enough but it would be nice to have the option If I don t need the built in recovery if an image of the working C drive is enough then can I delete all of the software on E and resize E reducing the GB partition and use E as my data partition Or is it possible to restructure the drive to give me two partitions I can use as well as the three that already exist for the system The current default I ve not altered them paritions are shown in Acronis Home Image as C pri act MB D pri GB E pri GB F pri MB Is it safe to delete F in which case I d then have three partitions allowing me to change the GB partition to two partiitons Or can I Also how does Windows see the GB drive as C when Acronis which I boot into via USB stick sees it as D Thanks for any answers nbsp

A:What hard drive partitions can I delete, so I can resize or add a new partition?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/what-hard-drive-partitions-can-i-delete-so-i-can-resize-or-add-a-new-partition.1107096/
Relevancy 76.11%

I have bought a HP DM Windows GB hard drive GB RAM and I want to partition the C Windows drive into two - one partition containing only Windows and other Windows programs - the second partition containing games and data The reason for this is that I can then create an image of the fully working C drive containing only Windows and related programs so that if when Windows needs reinstalling drive resize can What partition? partitions so hard delete, new can I add a I or in What hard drive partitions can I delete, so I can resize or add a new partition? the future I can just copy the image back over the C drive restoring the laptop to it's working state I can do that even if there's only What hard drive partitions can I delete, so I can resize or add a new partition? one partition of course but the image will be huge so I' rather have two partitions and only create an image of the first partition Plus if there are two partitions then the second partition will survive my 'rolling back' the laptop when I put the image back onto the C drive so I won't lose anything I've put onto the second partition in the meantime So I was going to resize the current C drive which is GB without losing the data I've done this before the software handles the data organisation automatically into two partitions but the problem is the laptop's hard drive already has four partition and aparently it's not possible to put another partiton on there Is this correct and if so can I resize one of the existing partitions say E the GB partition and shrink the C partition by a corresponding amount and use that partition for my games and data And if so will the built in recovery software still work I probably won't ever need it as the C drive image will be enough but it would be nice to have the option If I don't need the built in recovery if an image of the working C drive is enough then can I delete all of the software on E and resize E reducing the GB partition and use E as my data partition Or is it possible to restructure the drive to give me two partitions I can use as well as the three that already exist for the system The current default I've not altered them paritions are shown in Acronis Home Image as C pri act MB D pri GB E pri GB F pri MB Is it safe to delete F in which case I'd then have three partitions allowing me to change the GB partition to two partiitons Or can I Also how does Windows see the GB drive as C when Acronis which I boot into via USB stick sees it as D Thanks for any answers

I've decided I'll probably keep things the way they are, rather than risk messing anything up, as it's working fine now (I tried the built in factory restore function and it worked great).

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/what-hard-drive-partitions-can-i-delete-so-i-can-resize-or-add-a-new-partition-705460.html
Relevancy 76.11%

My External Hard Drive, which I used for back up, crashed and could not be read by Windows Explorer. As it was under warranty, I was sent a replacement. I have used data recovery software to transfer most of my files to the new drive.

Now I have to return the defective drive to the manufacturer. However, the drive contains personal and confidential data, such as letters, bank details and passwords.

How can I delete the data using Windows XP SP2, or is there a third party application that will do the job?

Help would be appreciated.

A:How to Delete Data on Defective External Hard Drive

Killdisc is used by the US dept of Defence http://www.killdisk.com/
Be careful how you use it, make sure you pick the correct drive to wipe

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-delete-data-on-defective-external-hard-drive.872794/
Relevancy 75.25%

So I can have the extra space. How can I do this?

A:New computer, old HP hard drive as slave. Want to delete recovery partition.

You can use Disk Management to delete the partition and then create a new partition to use: http://www.tyan.com/support_download_cpu2.aspx?socketid=20

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/new-computer-old-hp-hard-drive-as-slave-want-to-delete-recovery-partition.946317/
Relevancy 73.96%

I installed Ubuntu on a older Toshiba laptop. When I boot up it asks me to select either Windows 7 or Ubuntu. I want to get rid of the Ubuntu disk partition and give that 2.9 GB space to my primary hard drive. I go into compmgmt.msc but I can't execute any commands on that disk partition. Any ideas?

A:delete dual boot Ubuntu partition and convert to primary hard drive c:

So you wanna get rid of ubuntu totally?
first tap F8 multiple times to enter recovery environment
select "command prompt"
bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot

-now the default MBR has been restored (don't know if ubuntu did change that)

diskpart
list disk
sel disk 0 (or 1 or 2)
list part (note the number of ubuntu partition)
sel part X (if X is number of ubuntu partition. be very sure to select right partition!!!)
delete part

try to boot. post output of "disk management" afterwards

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/219373-delete-dual-boot-ubuntu-partition-convert-primary-hard-drive-c.html
Relevancy 68.37%

Hi,

Similar issue to many here; I manuf. has partitioned a single HDD into an OS and a DATA partitions. And since everything defaults to saving and installing in the OS partition... it's gotten full

I wish to delete the DATA partition (logical drive) and extend the OS partition into it.

However, despite reading what has worked for so many here, I have run into a problem: the delete volume function for the DATA partition is not available (greyed out). The left most partition was the only one that could be deleted; I have done so (and hopefully that was not a bad thing?)

I know it's been about half a year since the last post, so hopefully someone will see this and be able to help.

A:I wish to delete the DATA partition

As you deleted your Recovery Partition, I hope you made the Recovery Disks first.
You do have data on that partition backup first.

Try method two in this tutorial:
Partition or Volume - Delete
Partition or Volume - Extend

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/170913-i-wish-delete-data-partition.html
Relevancy 67.51%

Can't delete my data partition or format it, any suggestions?

A:Can't delete my data partition or format it

More information would be useful as you haven't given us much.

SSD or spinner?

How many partitions?

Basic or dynamic?

What have you tried so far?

Have a look at this tutorial: Partition or Volume - Delete

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/211330-cant-delete-my-data-partition-format.html
Relevancy 64.5%

SO... is this possible. I don't have a spare HD so I'm going to try to partition my drive so I can install another OS on it. Can I do this without losing the data I already have?

A:Is it possible to partition a drive with data allready on it and keep the data?

Yes it is possible with many partioning software ie, partition magic personally i use a freeware version called partition logic. All you do is resize the current partition and create a second but dont forget to backup.

Evert

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/is-it-possible-to-partition-a-drive-with-data-allready-on-it-and-keep-the-data.674380/
Relevancy 63.21%

Hi I REALLY hope someone out there can help me Hard as Hard Partition 1T appears Problems! Drive/ Solved: My 8Gigs?! Drive with this I have a failed hard drive stuffed partion and i DESPERATELY need the data from it A computer was brought into me with two hard drives The owner asked me to set up a duel boot with vista and XP on the first hard drive and to leave the second hard drive alone its his backup drive with all his Solved: Hard Drive/ Partition Problems! My 1T Hard Drive appears as 8Gigs?! photos movies etc I was working away as per usual when i noticed the second hard drive was no longer coming up in Windows Explorer Well it was but not correctly whenever i clicked on it it said would you liket to format the drive obviously i didnt want to do that I ran Partition Solved: Hard Drive/ Partition Problems! My 1T Hard Drive appears as 8Gigs?! Magic which showed the drive was only Gigs it should have been T or Gigs Partition Magic also said there was a problem with the drive and offered to fix it I agreed however there was no change I ve run a number of programs to try and fix the drive Acronis Disk Director Server Partition Table Doctor Demo Dtidata Partition Repair Tool MHDD Recover My Files v FileScavenger However all the partition repairers claim that the drive is only Gigs and they can go no further All the File Recovery Programs will only scan for Gigs and thus i can not recover my clients precious photos and videos The BIOS comes up as recognizing the drive as Gigs I really REALLY need the Solved: Hard Drive/ Partition Problems! My 1T Hard Drive appears as 8Gigs?! data from this drive Does anyone know how to fix my problem Thanx heaps in advance Ben nbsp

A:Solved: Hard Drive/ Partition Problems! My 1T Hard Drive appears as 8Gigs?!

I've used ZAR to recover files from a RAID box that seemed to have been corrupted due to a bad power supply.

You might check it out. It's free. Meaning it will only allow you to recover so many files at a time. I bought it, and like it.

They have a forum that is monitored quite often, from the developer too.

Good luck.

http://www.z-a-recovery.com/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-hard-drive-partition-problems-my-1t-hard-drive-appears-as-8gigs.858100/
Relevancy 62.78%

Sorry and delete this thread if it is re post, but I searched and didn't find appropriate solution for my problem in our forum.
When I bought my laptop, there were only two drives C: and D:
who shared 500 GB equally.
Then I made the partition of my laptop's hard disk drives in to 4 parts during installation of windows 7 ultimate.
C: 30 GB
D: 98 GB
E: 105 GB
F: 232 GB

Now I want only two drives C:120 GB and D:380 GB
Is it possible ?
Please help me to do this

A:How to delete the hard disk partition

Hi, follow this tutorial to delete the partition

And this tutorial to extend the existing partitions Partition or Volume - Extend

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/274556-how-delete-hard-disk-partition.html
Relevancy 62.78%

I am re arranging my hard disk. I got a new external 80 G one. I would like to know if deleting the current internal hard disk partition, is there any danger to loose informations or is just a simple movement. This, because the cause of re arrangement is lack of space and if I dlete the partition I will be able to work more easy with the transferring, uninstalling and reintsalling programs in the external one. Many thanks and greetings

A:Delete Xp Hard Disk Partition

Hello,

I'm not sure if I understand your question. Would I be correct in saying that you would like to delete a partition on the hard drive inside your computer?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/151669/delete-xp-hard-disk-partition/
Relevancy 61.92%

hi i have a scSi disk GB i [Hard header sql recovery] data Drive / extractors data lost information from it and tried to recover with other recovery softwares to no avail finally i got winhex amp got the professional licence i can now data extractors / sql header [Hard Drive data recovery] be able to see all the information on the whole NTFS partition but the problem is that i data extractors / sql header [Hard Drive data recovery] can t be able to recover it when ever i open the logical drive i can see all the information and most of the information is stack up in a quot free space quot which is around gb which i can be able to see has all the information that i need i have tried to recover the free space but its only copied to the location that i specify and no recoveries are made recovering the files by type name has bore no fruits a freind told me i have to curve out that area and use data extractors to get the information out of that area freee space the information in that drive are sql data bases and zip files whats the header for sql what techniques do i use to curve out that space and be abele to extract the information for i can even read the information in text format which are the data extractors available in the market kindly assist its quite urgent i get this information out nbsp

A:data extractors / sql header [Hard Drive data recovery]

I don't know where this thread properly belongs -- but I suspect the question may be too esoteric for most here.

Since it involves data recovery from a hard drive I'm going to move it to Hardware, I think "all other software" is not likely to have anyone with this type of experience.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/data-extractors-sql-header-hard-drive-data-recovery.438131/
Relevancy 61.92%

I am trying drive delete delete How my songs I hard I library? them from from Itunes when do to delete songs from my itunes that I do not like anymore to make some space on my laptop I know that sometimes when I delete songs it pops up saying quot delete from hard drive quot I want that to pop up always but for some reason it doesnt sometimes My friend said that it will only do that if you have itunes organizing the folders So i deleted my preferences and made it so itunes will organize my music How do I delete songs from hard drive when I delete them from my Itunes library? However I still delete songs and they dont delete off my hard drive I was told that the songs have to be in the itunes music folder How do I delete songs from hard drive when I delete them from my Itunes library? I had alot of songs in there but some in a different folder I thought maybe I could move the other How do I delete songs from hard drive when I delete them from my Itunes library? folder into the itunes music folder and then it would work However now when I go to play some songs it says the file cannot be found Anything I can do HELP ME

A:How do I delete songs from hard drive when I delete them from my Itunes library?

Because you moved the songs from where iTunes was used to looking for them they will not play - when each song comes up and the error message you described comes up you can click yes to find them and browse for them (you should know where they are if you put them all in one folder). This will re-establish the link to the song's new location in iTunes.
If you have lots to do, it may be faster to delete all your songs from iTunes (not your computer) and set up the folder on your computer properly - one My Music folder with all your music in there - they can be further sorted into subfolders if you want to. Then open iTunes, set the Preferences to "Keep iTunes folder organised" and "copy files to iTunes folder when adding to library" and import all your music from your My Music folder again.
When you get new music by whatever means and import them to iTunes it will automatically place a copy in the iTunes "iTunes music" folder for you and always know where to look for them.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/how-do-i-delete-songs-from-hard-drive-when-i-delete-them-from-my-itunes-library-350880.html
Relevancy 61.92%

Hi,

Need some help. I recently bought Acer Aspire 5560G. It comes with 500GB HDD with only one partition which is drive C. There are 2 hidden partitions as well. I would like to split my drive C in 2 partitions without effecting my Recovery partition. Is it possible??? if yes than what's the best way?? Help would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

A:Hard Drive Partition Without Effecting Recovery Partition

I think the easiest way to accomplish that is to shrink your C: partition. That will create unallocated space. And the unallocated space can be used to create a new partition.

Partition or Volume - Shrink

Partition or Volume - Create New

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/253969-hard-drive-partition-without-effecting-recovery-partition.html
Relevancy 61.92%

I have a IBM travelstar USB 2.0 75GB EHD. This has been partitioned into two.
In one of the partition data stored can be deleted but data stored in the other partition i am unable to delete the data. It gives a message access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write protected and that the file is not currently use.

Can you please help

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/delete-data-on-external-hard-disc.600148/
Relevancy 61.49%

HI im just new here I want to ask someone who can help me out with regards to hard disk partitioning I have a gb seagate HDD and its my first time to do partitioning thru Hard to Logical delete? is Disk safe partition the help from the net I managed to do a partition and name it as B Backup files used gb set as primary my C which Hard Disk Logical partition is safe to delete? installed a windows on it uses gb of gb and i created another one E as vista gb of gb which currently empty I intend to install a vista here on E but it is currently set to logical drive Is it safe to delete this drive when i try deleting it i had Hard Disk Logical partition is safe to delete? this prompt message THIS IS AN EXTENDED PARTITION THE PARTITION WILL BE INACCESSIBLE IF YOU DELETE IT ARE Hard Disk Logical partition is safe to delete? YOU SURE YOU WANT TO DELETE IT what's gonna happen if i continue to it I want to creat a dual boot using a single HDD i want to start again and create a new partition as primary partition Please help

A:Hard Disk Logical partition is safe to delete?

The reason you get this message is the limitation of 4 primary partitions per volume. The extended partition allows you to create many more partitions. If, however, you create 4 primary partitions, you are stuck with that maximum of 4.
You can delete this extended partition, just make sure you do not paint yourself into a corner creating 4 primaries (unless 4 is all you want).

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/67778-hard-disk-logical-partition-safe-delete.html
Relevancy 60.63%

I have an old 320GB hard drive that's dying and slowing my computer down. The OS is on a 20GB partition. I want to copy that partition onto an empty, 110GB hard drive.

Will the data copied be corrupted? am I better off re-installing windows?

How can I do this?

A:Cloning a hard drive partition onto a smaller hard drive

Hi there

1) download something like FREE macrium and boot it up.
2) Image the OS
3) Restore the image to the new HDD --if it's a Laptop you can do it with a USB==>SATA cable without installing the new HDD first
4) swap the drives if it's a laptop
5) Boot.

Remember though if the Windows system partition exists to copy that as well as the "C" partition.

The rest of your data (User data etc) on the HDD - just save anywhere with File explorer / Windows explorer to wherever you want to keep it -- there's no reason why you couldn't keep it on the old HDD -- if it's an INTERNAL HDD you can get a powered SATA / IDE case and connect via USB or SATA.

I suspect you are installing an SSD -- EXCELLENT MOVE -- you won't be in any way disappointed. You can connect the 110GB SDD to the computer via a USB==>SATA cable - very cheap so you can restore to SSD BEFORE physically changing the drives. Even if it isn't an SSD the methodology applies -- ensure though the BOOT partition is ACTIVE !! or the system won't boot.

Cheers
jimbo

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/339602-cloning-hard-drive-partition-onto-smaller-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 60.2%

Is there a program taht will allow for this, that is relatively cheap, or is there a way to do it without using a program?

Relevancy 60.2%

I first came to this site because my computer kept freezing after 5 mins of being on. I tried to follow the advice in previous posts, but my screen would freeze before I could complete anything. After using up all my cuss words, I finally opened up the console to take a look. The memory card I had installed wasn't completely seated in its slot. So the best first advice seems to be: Make sure it is plugged in. After that the #%@* thing worked for over half an hour before freezing again.
Sorry for the long story; I really do have a question. What can I try next?
Also, I accidentally used up every byte of RAM on my C drive, which caused all sorts of problems that I do not want to have again. Can I partition my D drive (labeled Data) so that some of the 90% free space can be used by the C drive?

Relevancy 60.2%

Hi!

Can someone help with step by step directions on how to wipe a seconday drive and set it up as a data partition? All the instructions that I am finding in web search are for the primary drive. Thanks ~

A:wipe second drive and set as data partition

Go to Disk Management . . . Right click on My Computer . . select Manage . . Disk Management

In the boxes on the right . . find the disc ( 0 or 1 ) and you will see the partitons . . right click on the partition you want to format and select Format . . after that you can move files to it and use it for storage.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wipe-second-drive-and-set-as-data-partition.545683/
Relevancy 60.2%

Hello I will try keep this to a minimum as i Partition/MBR drive) data on (no problem m sure this should be easily solved Basically new computer setup windows XP on a GB drive GB for the system with the rest split into two Due to an internal card reader XP ended up as the H Due to a problem when installingsome software i attempted to Partition/MBR problem (no data on drive) change the system drive letter back to C through the registry Big mistake long and the short of it is windows Partition/MBR problem (no data on drive) would no longerboot up At this point booting to the windows xp setup the only partition which showed was a GB unused partition Now all i want to do is make the drive factory fresh I can make the partitions work within windows with this dodgy HD as a slave drive and delete create partitions etc However no matter ho much i format delete create partitions when i load the windows XP setup it only ever sees the GB partition i tried using the command diskpart gt clean to no avail i thought it would wipe it out Can anyone advise Partition/MBR problem (no data on drive) me how to lose what ever config is stillon that hard drive and have it back abe to be partitioned formatted etc within the windows setup CD Many Thanks Daniel nbsp

Relevancy 59.77%

I thought I was doing good by keeping my data on a second partition of my OS drive That way if my OS crashed my data would be still in tack on the second volume I mean as W7 after Drive Data installing Partition new Inaccessible SSD - on long as the hdd Data Drive Partition - Inaccessible after installing W7 on new SSD didn t crash that is I installed a new SSD and begin to install Windows on it I don t remember exactly when but it was during the setup of Windows It said one of my drives needed to be checked for consistency or something I noticed though it was referring to my data drive I tried to press X to stop it so I wouldn t have to wait on it and I could deal with it later but I missed it I noticed during the check it was finding all kinds of problems and a lot of recovering this and that After Windows was installed on the SSD I noticed my data drive s second partition showing as a local drive under My Computer Clicking on it gave me the dreaded message Drive needs to be formatted The first partition of the data drive that has my original Windows on it is fine and still accessible It is just the second partition which had all my data is now inaccessible Computer Management shows it as a RAW Healthy Primary Partition Also I have scanned the hdd for errors and it has none so it's not bad blocks or that the drive is dying on me all of the sudden What would someone recommend I use to try and recover the data from this drive I am trying to understand why Windows felt it needed to scan my data drive during the installation of Windows It was not even using or needing access to it to install Windows Is this by design when Windows is installing to check all HDDs installed Usually when a hdd fails to boot or start Windows it will then ask to perform a check on the hdd during the next boot but that is for the OS drive not a data drive correct Thanks Mike

A:Data Drive Partition - Inaccessible after installing W7 on new SSD

I'd guess the best tool to try to recover a partition is Partition Wizard. There's a Windows version and a bootable disk version. I'd probably try the bootable disk.

Your first mistake was in not disconnecting the hard drive before you tried to install Windows to the SSD. That way, it wouldn't have been a factor and couldn't have been scanned. But I'm not sure why the scan occurred.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/327988-data-drive-partition-inaccessible-after-installing-w7-new-ssd.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Hi.

Alright I got a new Seagate 250GB drive and I am trying to transfer data that is from a 120GB WD drive that has lost its partition formatting.

I have tried to do it with PC Inspector File Recovery, but while the program finds the data is not transferring it over. The progress bar for "saving to" never changes and I ran this since 6pm yesterday and there was no change when I stopped it several minutes ago. Now all I want to do is get the data from one drive to the other, and then fix the partition problem for the other drive and if the data is on the Seagate, I do not care about reformatting the WD.

But step one the data, am I doing something wrong? Both drives are USB on Windows XP with all the most recently fixes installed.

Thank you.

Relevancy 59.77%

Anyone know a program that will delete Volumes on SD Card, or possibly a Linux boot disk that can do this?

I installed an image (using USB Image) that has split partitions, now I'm trying to combine all the partitions into one again.
I was able to format the 1st Volume, 2nd one shows up as Unallocated Space in Computer Management - Disk Management window.

Tried DiskPart on Windows 7 get error "DiskPart cannot delete volumes on removable media"

A:Solved: How to delete Partition on Flash Drive?

You could try, again in DiskPart, selecting the flash drive and issuing the "clean" command.
If that works, you just have to recreate the single partition from scratch.

List Disk
Identify the disk number X that you're after.
Select Disk X
Clean

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-how-to-delete-partition-on-flash-drive.1056901/
Relevancy 59.77%

1 GB USB Flash Drive and 'delete volume' is grayed out in Disk Management.
Why?

A:Why can't I delete FAT32 Partition on Flash Drive?

Quote: Originally Posted by IMAyNeed

1 GB USB Flash Drive and 'delete volume' is grayed out in Disk Management.
Why?

Can you write files on that flash drive, or is it read only?
Post screenshot of disk management

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/250867-why-cant-i-delete-fat32-partition-flash-drive.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Hi there available there WAS - delete Drive no longer partition has option it I Drive partition no longer has delete option available - it WAS there really need some help My laptop hard drive arrived with it's disk partitioned left to right as per below no name - primary GB C drive - system boot active crash dump primary approx GB and now has GB free D drive - page file logical approx GB and now has GB free The other day I was able to see that the quot delete partition quot option for the D drive was available The C drive then got VERY low on disk space down to 's of MBs after an auto update so I ran the Windows disk cleanup which came up and regained GB Since then - in preparation for deleting the D drive partition and expanding the C drive partition - I have backed up the D drive made a Windows image of the C drive and created a repair disk Now the quot delete partition quot is not available on the D drive I only have quot shrink volume quot available Does anyone know why this has happened Has the page file got anything to do with it and if so how do I fix Thanks in advance

A:Drive partition no longer has delete option available - it WAS there

Welcome to Seven Forums, Catchup.

Presumably you are seeing the Drives in Disk Management. Could you please post a screenshot of the Hard Disk.

To my mind there are several issues. The No Name Primary Partition is way too large for System Reserved Partition. Looks more like a partition to restore Windows. The C drive has filled up to 77 gigabytes with what. 80 gigabytes should be adequate for system volume with all the other programs when you have the D drive to store your data. Why do you want to delete the D partition? Normally resizing it to a smaller size and merging the resultant space in C Drive should serve the purpose.

At present please don't tinker with the partitions in a hurry unless you are very sure of what you are doing.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/219775-drive-partition-no-longer-has-delete-option-available-there.html
Relevancy 59.77%

I had Vista on "disk 0", my D drive. Installed Win7 on "disk 1", my C drive. I now want to reformat the D drive and rid myself forever of Vista. It also has mechanical issues I am going to try to fix...

I can't reformat it, apparently because D holds my system partition (see attached screenshot).

How can I move my system partition to the other drive? Or is there another solution?

I've seen similar questions on the SevenForums, but none are exactly the same so I don't want to assume my solution is the same...

Thanks!

A:Delete Vista from 2nd drive (has system partition)

Quote: Originally Posted by jkshop

I had Vista on "disk 0", my D drive. Installed Win7 on "disk 1", my C drive. I now want to reformat the D drive and rid myself forever of Vista. It also has mechanical issues I am going to try to fix...

I can't reformat it, apparently because D holds my system partition (see attached screenshot).

How can I move my system partition to the other drive? Or is there another solution?

I've seen similar questions on the SevenForums, but none are exactly the same so I don't want to assume my solution is the same...

Thanks!

I assume you were dual booting and vista was on the machine when win 7 was installed. The file from win 7 were put into a hidden folder in vista called boot.

Am I correct in that assumption?
Ken

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/65198-delete-vista-2nd-drive-has-system-partition.html
Relevancy 59.34%

Hi,

I have two hard drives(40 GB & 160GB both internal) installed in my system. Earlier I had installed windows XP on the first hard drive (40GB) and was using second hard drive as additional storage. I had partitioned my second hard drive into 5 partitions P, Q, R, S, T. Recently I reformatted my first hard drive and reinstalled windows XP. However this has also affected my second hard drive. Now Windows shows only two drives C: (my first hard drive) and D: (second hard drive) as only one partition each. Moreover it is not showing any data on the second hard drive. I want to get back my parition info and data on the second hard drive. I thought that formatting my first drive will not affect second drive and therefore didn't take back up of the second drive. What shall I do to get back my data and partition info.
Regards,
Ansh

A:How to get data from second hard drive after reformatting windows on other hard driv

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-get-data-from-second-hard-drive-after-reformatting-windows-on-other-hard-driv.861162/
Relevancy 58.91%

Hi Everyone I recently added another Hard Drive that had a partially installed version of W on it long story When it booted up Windows said it was installing software on it I am thinking maybe because of the Windows files on there it was thinking I wanted a dual boot setup When I looked under My Computer my-computer png it had changed the letter of my removable USB drive and added the new drive F along with a System Reserved Drive E I assume E is a partition on the same drive as F as it shows up under Computer Management as belonging System partition How a drive? a to Reserved remove data on to Disk hard-drives png I quick formatted F and rebooted and then tried disconnecting reconnecting and rebooting but it remains there What How to remove a System Reserved partition on a data drive? I would like to know is Is it definitely on the new drive F How I can remove it re-format and just use F solely as a data drive Any help or advice would be much appreciated With thanks and regards Harley M Storey

A:How to remove a System Reserved partition on a data drive?

Delete partition E:
Partition or Volume - Create New

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/274525-how-remove-system-reserved-partition-data-drive.html
Relevancy 58.91%

My hard disk was partitioned into 1 primary partition[C drive of 28 GB] and 4 logical partitions[19.5, 39, 39 and 107 GB]. I want to delete one of the logical partition [19.5 GB] to increase the volume of C drive.
Is it possible??? Please help me out.

A:Delete a LOGICAL PARTITION to increase volume of C drive.

Hi Joe and welcome to Seven Forums.

The built in Disk Management might be able to do exactly what you want depending on where the 19.5GB partition is located in relation to the C: partition.

How To Access Disk Management in Windows 7

If the 19.5 partition is immediately to the right of the C: partition ( in other words, if the hard drive is set up as C: | 19.5 | 39 | 39 | 107 ) you could format or shrink the 19.5 partition changing it to unallocated space. Then the C: partition could then be extended to incorporate the unallocated space. It's a somewhat complicated process.

Resize a partition in Vista/Windows 7

Or you could use a different free utility called MiniTool Partition Wizard to do the same thing with a lot less hassle and without worrying about where the 19.5 partition is in relation to the C: partition. This tutorial shows exactly how to extend the C: partition.

Extend partition with partition magic software ? MiniTool Partition Wizard.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/266741-delete-logical-partition-increase-volume-c-drive.html
Relevancy 58.91%

I was wondering if I can delete a partition and use the unallocated space for my C drive? or is there a way for me to copy my os on to a new HDD without starting over? (I sat on my XP cd and cracked it) Thanks

A:Running out of space on my C Drive. Can I delete a partition and use it to add room

You need special software to resize your C: partition into the unallocated space.

Partition Magic is the tool of choice for such operations.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/running-out-of-space-on-my-c-drive-can-i-delete-a-partition-and-use-it-to-add-room.19566/
Relevancy 58.48%

I Drive USB Table Corrupted Partition Backup Data External on have a Western Digital MyBook ES GB external hard drive USB and eSATA interfaces for data backups formatted from a Windows XP PC that I now use with my laptop running Windows -bit Home Premium Recently my son connected it to his Apple PC and tried to create a partition to back up his files Apparently this corrupted the partition table I can no longer access any data on the hard drive The drive does not appear in Computer but does appear in Device Manager and Disk Management I believe the problem is that Corrupted Partition Table on External USB Data Backup Drive the partition table formatted for Windows was modified by an Apple computer so that Windows can no Corrupted Partition Table on External USB Data Backup Drive longer tell what file system is on the partitions My son is gone for a month and I no longer have access to his Apple computer so I can't plug the drive into an Apple computer to check if the drive gets detected I looked at the drive using Windows Disk Management Acronis Disk Director EASEUS Partition Recovery latest version Partition Wizard None of them could do anything except delete or format the partitions I saw no repair option or ability to mark the partitions as NTFS file system The partitions on my external drive are still there but no file system is shown for most of them Acronis Disk Director shows the following information Disk GPT VOLUME CAPACITY FREE SPACE TYPE FILE SYSTEM STATUS EFI MB MB Basic GPT FAT Healthy Local Volume GB GB Basic GPT Unsupported Healthy Unallocated MB Local Volume GB GB Basic GPT Unsupported Healthy Local Volume MB GB Basic GPT Unsupported Healthy I believe the partitions were originally created with the NTFS file system My guess is that the partition table needs to be corrected to indicate that the partitions are NTFS I'm not sure how to do this or how to rebuild the partition table Is there anyway to repair the partition table and possibly access the data Thanks

A:Corrupted Partition Table on External USB Data Backup Drive

A big chunk is unallocated. Was some of your data there? If so try Partition Wizard Partition Recovery Wizard - Video Help.

See if PW can also run Partition Wizard Check File System which can recover some partitions that are not readable.

If not some success has been reported repairing the partition table using Disk Genius trialware: http://www.diskgenius.net/

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/282878-corrupted-partition-table-external-usb-data-backup-drive.html
Relevancy 58.48%

I got a computer from my boss and installed Office 2010. it was working just fine until i noticed that the 1TB drive was partitioned into two drives. the second partition was the "data drive". I didn't like this, so I removed the partition with a partition manager program. I still have the data from the drive, but for some reason Outlook won't read the data file and says it can't open it. I think it's in the right location now, but outlook won't check mail. is there anything i can do? i apologize if this is the wrong place to post this question, but i hope that someone can help me or at least point me in the right direction

A:removed partition on drive, and now outlook 2010 can't use data file

Actually, having a separate "data drive" is a very good idea as that allows you to size it accordingly and make backups from it using a separate schedule from your "OS drive".

That said, what happened when you finished doing the following:
1) Opened Outlook
2) Looked in the settings to see the previous locations for files and folders
3) Migrated those files and folders from your backup of the "data drive" to your "OS drive"
3) Changed the locations in Outlook for those files and folders to your "OS Drive"
4) Restarted Outlook with the new settings in place.

http://www.sevenforums.com/microsoft-office/306336-removed-partition-drive-now-outlook-2010-cant-use-data-file.html
Relevancy 58.48%

I currently have a disc copy of windows 7 and I am currently running it as my main OS as well. I was wondering just in case my computer decides to have a few issues is there anyway I can make a data partition to store windows 7 or put it on a flash drive so that in the incident of a hardware failure I would be able to go into my bios and boot the recovery partition or boot it from a flash drive allowing me to reinstall the OS.

A:How can I make a bootable flash drive and data partition for windows 7

What do you mean "disc copy"? Do you mean you have Windows 7 install DVD or ...? If you mean you have only the Windows 7 that came with the computer, on the hard drive, then you can download a legal copy with SP1 integrated from here:

Official Windows 7 SP1 ISO from Digital River.

Make sure you get the same version you have, Home Premium, Pro or Ultimate and 32 or 64 bit. Note that Basic or Starter is not available.

I recommend using ImgBurn at 4X speed (or the slowest available) to create the DVD from the downloaded .iso file.

You can do this on any computer capable of burning a DVD.

For techies or folks who work on computers: Create Windows 7 Universal ISO With All Editions Selection On Install with ei.cfg Removal Utility.
This will fit on a 6GB flash drive or can be burned to a DVD.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/273445-how-can-i-make-bootable-flash-drive-data-partition-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 58.48%

Hey guys my computer glitched and I drive GParted - delete to corrupted not flash partition able Heavily pulled a flash drive before I should have and it got corrupted I want to wipe it however it's write protected - I tried using the disk utility on windows but it doesn't want to mount the partition - tools like HD Tune Pro let me know that it's corrupt but I don't know how to do anything about them also tried the registry - a techy friend suggested Heavily corrupted flash drive - GParted not able to delete partition I delete the partition so I burned GParted to a Heavily corrupted flash drive - GParted not able to delete partition CD and tried using it Below are two screenshots Sorry for the phone quality but the computer can't take pictures as it's not in an OS - so it shows that the flash drive has unallocated space so I can't delete that since it's unallocated and when I try to create a new partition it doesn't let me as you can see in the second picture I have no idea how to go about this anymore I don't care about the data I just want to be able to use the flashdrive Any help is greately appreciated - thanks

A:Heavily corrupted flash drive - GParted not able to delete partition

I probably would give DBAN a run on it and see what happens.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/382360-heavily-corrupted-flash-drive-gparted-not-able-delete-partition.html
Relevancy 58.05%

I ve never seen this before Double click on e in my computer and it says not a valid win application Seen it when opening applications but not a drive all other drives are fine First time i saw it it was looking for install exe which i remember deleting a week or so ago Most likely because it was a missing shortcut in registry or because it was corrupted or something simular I dont know what to do about this as I said never seen it happen b on a drive You can open e drive when you right !!!! valid wont not win32 hard open partition e my application drive a drive click and explore but when double click sometimes it tries to locate install exe No virus but did have a few recently I wont put it hard drive not a valid win32 application !!!! wont open my e drive partition down to that though and dismiss because I am very vigilant and remove virus immediately and scan twice a day always scanning b opening apps Weird one Logically how do i stop it looking for install exe when openning thanx nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-not-a-valid-win32-application-wont-open-my-e-drive-partition.300661/
Relevancy 58.05%

My hard drive failed last Saturday reading quot operating system not found readable) hard drive? recovery an old (failed vista using of new a partition still Installing the drive on but quot BIOS testing resulted in error Installing vista on a new hard drive using the recovery partition of an old (failed but still readable) drive? replace hard drive At this point the drive won t boot but data can still be read I have a new hard drive The backup disk I made for Vista isn t working I thought of borrowing one from a friend but my OEM key on the bottom has completely worn off Installing vista on a new hard drive using the recovery partition of an old (failed but still readable) drive? HP says they cannot help and Microsoft wants me to pay for a replacement key I d like to avoid that if possible Is there any way to use the recovery partition on the old drive to install Vista on the new drive My laptop has two hard drive bays but I only have one caddy so ideally I d like to connect it using an enclosure Also I do have access to another computer that I could use as a quot go-between quot if needed For example if it s possible to simply copy and paste the recovery partition files I could use the enclosure to copy them from the old drive to the working computer then put the new drive in the enclosure and copy the files onto that Any advice appreciated Thanks

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/414230/installing-vista-on-a-new-hard-drive-using-the-recovery-partition-of-an-old-failed-but-still-readable-drive/
Relevancy 58.05%

A friend of mine gave me his external hard drive with the hopes that I might be able to fix it.

It's a new external Western Digital that is 2TB in size and he purchased it within the last 2 or 3 months. I don't know what he did, but it wouldn't surprise me if he pulled the USB cord without properly unmounting the drive and something with his filesystem became corrupted. I don't know how to repair this.

The drive will show you a drive letter when you attach it to Windows, and using a partition manager (in Linux) shows the drive to contain an "unknown" partition type. In Windows, running "chkdsk e: /x /r" returns an error that says "chkdsk is not available for RAW drives".

Anyone know of a reliable (and preferably free) utility that might be able to repair this kind of problem quickly?

A:External hard drive NTFS partition missing; chkdsk says it's a "RAW" partition now

Is this a data recovery operation? Should be able to just format again if not.

Otherwise testdisk (http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk) might be useful to recover the partition info.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-ntfs-partition-missing-chkdsk-says-its-a-raw-partition-now.868198/
Relevancy 58.05%

Hi everyone,
I installed Ubuntu on my computer a few months ago and created another partition for it on my 1TB hard drive.

I didn't really care for Ubuntu so I decided to delete the partition it was on.
That might have been a mistake.

Well, now there's 87.68GB of free space on my hard disk that I can't use and I don't know how to add it back to my c: partition.

There was another post about this a couple years ago, but I don't understand the instructions and am not actually sure if it worked. Can someone explain how to do this, please?

I'm not completely computer illiterate, but I'm not familiar with partitioning disks. It was just the one time with Ubuntu.

A:Hard drive partition: adding free space back to c: drive

The unallocated area is actually an empty extended partition. You need to delete that first.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/275065-hard-drive-partition-adding-free-space-back-c-drive.html
Relevancy 58.05%

Hi all,
I recently bought a WD My Book Essential Edition external hard drive and wanted to change it from FAT32 to NTFS. I was following instructions given on WDs website, however the directions weren't entirely clear (of course only noticed after the fact). I right clicked on My Computer, clicked manage and used Disk Manager. The instructions said to find the drive, right click on it and click delete partition. It didn't mention however, to do that with bottom part of the screen and not the top. So, I think I just deleted the logical drive.

It shows up on the device manager and the "Safely Remove Hardware" window, but the drive letter no longer shows up under My Computer.

Is there a way to fix this? Or did I just buy a $120 paper weight?

Thanks,

PaveFE

A:Solved: External Hard Drive - Deleting partition, but accidently deleted logical drive

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-external-hard-drive-deleting-partition-but-accidently-deleted-logical-drive.585272/
Relevancy 58.05%

With drive sectors, health drive smart hard 2 bad my is good but shows data my Seagate GB sata hard drive the re-allocated sectors count shows bad sectors in the Ubuntu disk utility for the smart data In this multi-boot desktop PC the XP with a my hard drive smart data shows 2 bad sectors, but drive health is good drive monitor program called Active Smart shows this drive health status as good including that reallocated sectors count item so is this not to worry about for now or what I do monitor the hard drive temperature which does stay cool enough in the seventies up to about F Or can this be caused by mixed partitioning methods since the new way is now align to MiB and not align to cylinder as it was I used the GParted tool to create and change partitions when it was set as default to align to cylinder but then I recently used both my Vista Disk Manager and the newer version of GParted to re-size some of the partitions which both now use that align to MiB method by default which often has near MB gaps between partitions then nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-hard-drive-smart-data-shows-2-bad-sectors-but-drive-health-is-good.955462/
Relevancy 58.05%

I need help. I was trying to clone my laptop drive to my new drive using Copy commander but when I had the new drive partitioned, it will not allow me to clone my drive. But if I do not partition it, it works. Any input would be appreciated......!!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cannot-clone-hard-drive-with-partition-drive-with-copy-commander.106398/
Relevancy 58.05%

i can't get my puter to read the data on an external hard drive. wants me to format it even though it recognizes the drive letter i gave it when i did format it. don't want to lose the 100+ gigs of data i have on this drive.

A:my computer recognizes the drive letter but not the data on external hard drive

Does the external drive work on another machine?

Also, while the drive is still connected, can you go into Device Manager (right-click My Computer, click on 'Manage...', click on 'Device Manager') to check for any yellow exclamation marks or red crosses next to anything in there?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-computer-recognizes-the-drive-letter-but-not-the-data-on-external-hard-drive.472352/
Relevancy 58.05%

Hello, I'm fairly new to these forums but would like to request help for upgrading my laptop. I am thinking of adding a 120GB Msata and 1TB HDD to it (to replace 500GB). My question is how would I go about transferring my dat,a(Pictures, music, videos) to the new hard drive and setting the Msata as a boot drive(for OS and programs)? I would also like recommendations on which Msata/hdd to put in it? I have been considering these:

Amazon.com : MyDigitalSSD 128GB (120GB) 50mm Bullet Proof 4 BP4 50mm mSATA Solid State Drive SSD SATA III 6G (120GB)(128GB) : Computer Internal Solid State Drives : Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: Seagate 1TB Solid State Hybrid Drive SATA 6Gbps 64MB Cache 2.5-Inch ST1000LM014: Computers & Accessories

but would like to know if there are better options available? Thanks in advance

A:How to migrate data to bigger hard drive and set Msata as boot drive?

I don't think you can use the Msata SSD as boot drive. It is configured in Raid with the spinner and serves solely as cache. It is just a fancy SSHD.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/323738-how-migrate-data-bigger-hard-drive-set-msata-boot-drive.html
Relevancy 58.05%

I had this idea, see if anybody has an opinion about this. My wife has an old XP computer I want to buy her a new one but she doesn't like the vista and she wants to keep the old xp operating system. What I want to do is take the old hard drive and put it in the new computer as the master and take the new hard drive and put it in as the slave erasing the vista off it. Then using the master slave way can I transfer the xp operating system and all her files and data from the old hard drive to the new one.

A:Transfer data from Hard Drive to Hard Drive

You cannot simply put the hard drive with XP on it in the new system to have the new system running XP either from the old drive or by transferring to the new drive. It just does not work like that
You need to install XP a fresh on the new system AND you will need a new XP license to do so.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/transfer-data-from-hard-drive-to-hard-drive.758878/
Relevancy 57.19%

I have 3 hard drives and boot options of windows 7 64bit or Vista 32bit.
Drive 1.
E: 74gb
Windows 7 64bit bootable.
Drive 2.
D: 186gb
Only used for documents.
Drive 3.
232gb Partitioned into C: 64.45gb and K: 168.43gb
C: Vista 32 bit bootable.
K: is just for documents.

I want to copy my E: drive (windows 7) to my C: partition (wiping out Vista) and keep my K: partition intact.
If successful I will boot from C: then format my E: drive.

Can I do this using windows 7 backup?

A:Want to copy a system hard drive to one partition on another drive.

You can use the "create a system image" feature in Backup and Restore to make an image of your drive 1, but first you would need to shrink the size of the drive , because it is larger than the partition with Vista on it and to restore the image the partition has to be equal or greater than the Windows 7 installation. Before attempting to move Windows 7 to your Vista partition, I would back up all your data on the K partition as a precaution. If you do that, then you wouldn't have to resize the Windows 7 partition. Then after restoring the image to your Drive 3, you can always recreate the K partition and move your data back to. Either way, back up that data on the K drive first, before doing anything. It is always better to be safe than sorry.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/268602-want-copy-system-hard-drive-one-partition-another-drive.html
Relevancy 57.19%

After sending in my new GB Western Digital Black Edition hard drive due to my partitions getting completely screwed multiple times I received a brand new replacement TB Western Digital Black Edition hard drive yesterday Everything was working fine until I turned on my desktop new after drive. drive a partition. Hard problem with replacement Even on today and received the message quot operating system not found quot This is the same problem I got with my older hard drive I tried everything including creating a new partition using the command prompt on my old hard drive and Hard drive problem with partition. Even after a new replacement drive. I still had the same problem I haven't tried anything yet with my new hard drive and I'm wondering what is causing my hard drives to do this Any ideas of what could be causing this and fixes would be immensely appreciated Thank you for your time Note -Not posting this from my desktop -Both drives are OEM and I do not have any discs with to run a diagnostics or repairs -I can not start up Windows in anyway -I still have my Windows bit disc -My computer does not recognize my hard drive due to the partition being corrupted

A:Hard drive problem with partition. Even after a new replacement drive.

Check all the cables.

Check your HD.
Disk Check

Check with a hard drive diagnostic tools.
Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/90845-hard-drive-problem-partition-even-after-new-replacement-drive.html
Relevancy 57.19%

I have win xp,sevice pack 2 with 2 hard drive.

Recently my PC encountred a virus attack named "net.net"
I scaned my PC with AVG and removed all virus,but after that I cannot access 2 partition(D-drive and E-drive) on 1st hard disk.
Everytime I click on both the partitions I get a error msg "The disk in drive D(name) is not formated Do you want to format it now?"
I cannot access through windows explorer and any of options shown on right click on the icon of D and E-drive(like "open" , "search" , "explore" & so on..)

If u have a solution please sen it to my e-mail ID: [email protected]

A:unable to access a partition drive of hard drive

The virus likely corrupted or deleted the partition information. I've used a few apps in the past with mixed results, you can give Partition Table Doctor a try.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/unable-to-access-a-partition-drive-of-hard-drive-410626.html
Relevancy 57.19%

My C: drive only has a 9.43G capacity and I only have 240MB of free space left. I bought a 500G external hard drive, but I need to know if I can transfer all the files and programs from the C: to the external hard drive? Helpppppppppppppppppppppppppppp

A:Transfering c drive data to external hard drive

You can transfer all your data files safely - the operating system (windows XP Pro) should stay on an internal drive and I wouldn't attempt to run programs from your external drive - internal hard drives are quite cheap and easy to install - I would be inclined to get a bigger internal drive into your computer and use the external one for portability and back up purposes.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/transfering-c-drive-data-to-external-hard-drive-320844.html
Relevancy 57.19%

I want to install a 2nd hard drive and put all my apps and data on new drive then reformat my original drive with original
operating system (windows ME). What is the easiest way to do this? If I do this, how do I get all my programs back in the
START\PROGRAMS list and in the add/remove programs list? Thanks in advance for your help

A:I want to install a 2nd hard drive and put all my apps and data on new drive

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-want-to-install-a-2nd-hard-drive-and-put-all-my-apps-and-data-on-new-drive.101826/
Relevancy 57.19%

I need to format my hard drive [D & C drive]

so i wanna know Will format the hard drive [D & C drive], delete the all file
in it? Like the software that i install [ C:\Program Files], will they remain there or
will be deleted?

i already make a back up to all my Document project [ on D drive as i shown above] but to be honest, i dont want the process to delete my " Program Files" folder [ C:\Program Files]& my Document project [ on D:drive]........

** I just reinstall my pc 4/5 days ago [ maybe on 20 or 21/3/2012 ]

A:Will format the hard drive [D & C drive], delete the all file in it?

Formatting a drive or partition will completly wipe it, delete everything.

Take note you will be unable to format a drive with Windows on it if you are using that installation, you need to use a boot disk. If using dual boot you can format one Windows drive from the other.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/220896-will-format-hard-drive-d-c-drive-delete-all-file.html
Relevancy 57.19%

I don't know how but somehow, a shortcut to my C Drive or hard drive was created and it's found in the videos folder lol. Is it safe to delete it? I don't want to lose my entire hard drive if I do this.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/75594-safe-delete-shortcut-c-drive-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 56.76%

My computer came with one great big partition, with XP Home installed on it. For four months all my data got stored on that same partition. Then I got partition magic, and decided to make a separate partition for all my files. This turned out to be too small, after I'd transfered all my music, plus my work files to it. I then tried to repartition the drive, taking most of the spare space from the XP drive and giving it to the data drive.
Just as it started to widen the Data drive, and after shrinking the XP drive, it crashed. Now XP doesn't boot, and my data partition is corrupted too.
I've been daft and so have no backup of my data, and no partition magic back-up floppies. Is there anyway I can get the data back?

If it's any help, Ubuntu is also on the laptop, and working fine.

A:Partition Magic 8 has corrupted Windows partition and Data partition

Do you have the installation CD? If so, "BART PE" may be the solution. I have used it with success. Here is the link: http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

{redoak}

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/partition-magic-8-has-corrupted-windows-partition-and-data-partition.643210/
Relevancy 56.33%

Hi there I'm not sure where to post this so I hope this is ok A Partition filling Drive - up! Drive Hard C few months ago I bought a new computer from PC Specialist and asked for it to have disk partitions put in Stupidly however I only asked Hard Drive Partition - C Drive filling up! for the C windows drive to be GB in size I only realised my mistake when I saw that Vista was already taking up more than half of the allocated space when I first turned it on I thought everything would be ok if I just made sure that every new program was installed to the other partition GB all well as keeping all the contents of my documents folder on there too but the used disk space has slowly crept up and up until I now have only GB of free space on my C drive I'm worried that it will soon start to affect the performance of my computer I dont know enough about computers to know what is taking up this space exactly but is there any way to sort this out without wiping everything and starting again 'App Data' seems to be taking up about GB for starters - is there a way of moving certain non-critical files to another drive Any help greatly appreciated AMD Phenom Quad-Core GHz GB Ram Windows Vista Home Premium Bit Matt

A:Hard Drive Partition - C Drive filling up!

Hello Matt

There are a couple of things you can do to get more space

1. System Restore uses huge amounts of space in Vista. If your system is running well at the moment you can delete all but the most recent Restore Point and recover a lot of space. Then reduce the space allocated to System Restore

2. You can try to make the Vista partition bigger. How much space you can gain will depend on the way the system files are placed on the hard drive

Delete all but the most recent Restore Point
1.Click on Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Disk Cleanup.

2.In the dialog that appears choose "Files from all users on this computer".

3.If User Account Control prompts you to confirm the action, click on "Continue".

4.If asked which drive you want to scan, choose the drive in which Windows Vista is installed on, and then click OK.

5.Disk Cleanup will scan your hard drive and then display a list of options.

6.In the Disk Cleanup window, click on the "More Options" tab.

7.Under "System Restore", click on the "Clean up..." button.

8.When asked "Are you sure you want to delete all but the most recent restore point?", click on "Delete".

9.Close the Disk Cleanup window.

After you have performed these steps, check your disk usage in the Computer window. I think you'll be a bit surprised.
(NOte. Also set Disk Cleanup to delete all temporary files)

Reduce the space allocated to System Restore
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/ho...windows-vista/

Make the Vista partition bigger
1 Click the Start button

2 From the Start menu click Control Panel

3 In Control Panel click the Administrative Tools Icon

4 In Administrative Tools click the Computer Management option

5 Because Computer management requires administrative privileges you may find the the User Account Control will pop up. If it does then enter the required information (if you are not the administrator) or, if you are the administrator, click the Continue button

6 In the Computer Management window look at the list of options on the left of the window. Under Storage you will see the Disk management. Click on this option

7 When the Disk Management window opens Right Click on the partition you want to extend and, from the drop down menu click on the Extend Volume option

8 The Extend Volume Wizard will now run

9 Click the Next button

10 Type in the number of Megabytes you want to extend the partition and then Click the Next Button

11 Windows Vista will now start to extend your partition.

12 Finally Click the Finish Button

You might not be able to increase the partition by as much as you would like to. This will be due to where the Vista files are placed on the hard drive.
It is a good idea to defrag the drive before attempting this.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/hard-drive-partition-c-drive-filling-up-392189.html
Relevancy 56.33%

Hi My Dell had a hard drive failure and I replaced it on my own and also they replaced it They wouldn't do drive hard 2nd a clone to How partition new drive to it at first so I did and I set up a lot of good programs and settings so I wanted to partition the new hard drive that they installed yesterday so that I can clone mine and then compare things and go with How to partition a new drive to clone 2nd hard drive all of the drivers and programs that work best Does that make any sense I don't want to keep all of their How to partition a new drive to clone 2nd hard drive bloat but I would like to keep some of it I also don't want to have to reload all of my programs How to partition a new drive to clone 2nd hard drive again I have Acronis Disk Director and I also have Acronis True Image I have a SATA cable connected to my hard drive I also have two additional external backup hard drives I am using Windows and I have Window currently on the newly installed Hard drive I also would like to have a partition to try Windows Any help would really be appreciated

A:How to partition a new drive to clone 2nd hard drive

clone a hard drive will delete all the data on the destination drive. You'd better clone all the partitions on the drive that clone disk.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/69699-how-partition-new-drive-clone-2nd-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 56.33%

Hi all. Been beating my head against the wall. Upgrading my system from XP3 32bit to Vista Ultmate 64bit. I have 2 new 500GB hard drives to install. Will be mirrored RAID1. Need to partiton I assume and set to "active" as they are now set to "Dynamic". See screen shot below. I have the mini tool Partion Wizard installed if this helps. Would appreciate any and all help. Thanks.

A:Hard Drive Partition

Hello love2photou, and welcome to Vista Forums.

You would just need to convert Disk 1 from dynamic back to basic. Since there's nothing on it, you could use Option One in the tutorial below to do so if you like.

Convert a Dynamic Disk to a Basic Disk - Windows 7 Forums

Afterwards, you can connect your 2nd 500GB HDD to setup the RAID with both 500GB HDDs.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/293514-hard-drive-partition.html
Relevancy 56.33%

Hi,
I have a P4 - 2.66 MHz with a WD 80GB - 8MB hard drive that is not partitioned. XP Home Edition will be the OS. Should I partition the hard
drive and if so what size of partitions? NTFS and no partitions?
Thanks for your help.

A:Partition Hard Drive

Put your xp cd in and go into the bios and set it to boot off the cd drive. It should give you the option to partition fat32 or ntfs and also should format the drive for you.

If you do not want to go that way and a floppy disk came with the drive you can put the disk in and set the bios to boot off the floppy and it should have the option to partition it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/partition-hard-drive.126565/
Relevancy 56.33%

just wondered

if you partition a 500gb drive into 2 x 250gb partitions or 3 partitions will it have less chance of problems??? (obviously not talking about physical problems, more like file system etc)

pk

Relevancy 56.33%

Hi I am not sure where to place this Mods please move to appropriate location My question is this can you re-partition a hard drive without formatting I need to expand my C drive It is re-partition drive hard a ALWAYS full I have three drives INTERNAL C Total size GB free re-partition a hard drive MB INTERNAL D Total size GB free GB External G Total size GB free GB I use the external to back up important stuff It s removable and travel ready Drive D is where I put my programs games and what have you I have never maxed out this drive I have had games on it such as The Sims AND Star Wars Knights of the Old Republc I never even taxed that drive the lowest free space it has ever had was GB My C drive has been a never ending source of irritation I had to skim down the original programs on it it has very very little remaining I even moved my my documents folder which was larger than that drive at one point to my D drive There is nothing else I can think to do to create space on this drive The only programs on it are Windows OS and those few that will not allow me to run them from a different drive I have a great pc This baby runs faster than most of the pc s on the market today even bogged to hell as it is I would like to take about GB off my d drive and set it to my C drive Is re-partition a hard drive that possible without formatting my pc Thanks for any and all help in advance Mel nbsp

Relevancy 56.33%

I need to partition my hard drive. I was told to remove windows vista and load windows xp, I need to load xp on the new partition and drivers. Then remove vista, Is this correct?

A:How 2 Partition hard drive?

Who told you to remove Vista? Is there a good reason for this?

Hate to see you switch back to XP for a reason not really fit for a clean reinstall of XP.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-2-partition-hard-drive.619699/
Relevancy 56.33%

I have a -year old Dell Dimension with Mb Ram GB hard drive and a clock speed of Ghz that uses Windows XP operating system but which has become unbearably slow The data has all been backed up so I have the luxury of doing things knowing that mistakes should not cause too much harm To get it working again I would like to do the following if possible Erase the hard drive and reinstall the Hard Partition Drive operating system from the CD that came with the computer all those years ago Download the updates for Windows XP and drivers Reinstall and Partition Hard Drive update additional device drivers as necessary Load the following programs ZoneAlarm or other firewall Adaware Avast Anti-virus Mozilla Firefox Open Office Easeus Partition Manager Easeus ToDo Backup IObit Smart Defrag ccleaner Partition the hard drive into - C drive for the operating system and programs - D drive for data - and an E drive where I want to install the Linux operating system Create a ghost image of the operating system on a CD using ToDo Backup Every six months or so reload the operating system from the image update the Partition Hard Drive software and create a new image to be used next time The purpose is to try to keep the registry free from unwanted items My questions are Is the entire XP operating system contained in the directory c Windows or are there OTHER FILES possibly hidden that are part of the OS and which should be left on the C drive and included in the image How big should the C-drive be I am thinking of GB for the C drive GB for the D-drive and GB for the Linux I would welcome advice from someone with knowledge Should I add additional memory I have never partitioned a hard drive before so any help would be very welcome Thank you in advance Thoughtful Skeptic

A:Partition Hard Drive

I triple boot Linux Mint, Linux Crunchbang and Vista Home basic. The partition for Linux that you plan is very generous, I've given 10gb each to my 2 Linux - so you've got room to move there if you wish.
Install Windows first is generally recommended.
I would also suggest using the partition editor in the Linux Live CD to do your partitioning, most use GParted I think. I found this easy and safe.
Other than that I can't answer the rest - but I took several attempts to get it right, so don't be put off if things snarl up. I've learned more each time. My son (10 yo) now dual boots Mint & Vista and has Linux Mint KDE running in Vista through Mint4Win (their version of Wubi) so this type of learning/development is highly addictive!!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/254423/partition-hard-drive/
Relevancy 56.33%

I have a Dell Inspiron laptop with a GHz Pentium M Processor GB of RAM and Win XP drive Can't hard partition new Pro SP I connected a new Maxtor One Touch GB USB drive to the laptop No problems there as the quot New Hardware Found quot message appeared and I could see it in the My Computer list However I cannot create a new partition on that drive Here is what I did following the Windows Help file instructions Start Control Panel Admin Tools yes I logged in as Admin Computer Management Disk Management I right-clicked on quot New Volume quot I tried this in the upper field that has the list of all drives and partitions and in the lower field on the appropriate drive In the menu displayed there is Can't partition new hard drive no quot New Partition quot item It isn t that the item is there and grayed out it is is missing The Delete Partition option is displayed but no New Partition option I even tried clicking on Open from the menu displayed when I right click and then right-clicking again Same result Out of curiosity I tried right clicking on my C drive Still no New Partition choice The Delete Partition choice is displayed but is grayed out I searched this forum but found no relevant results Am I missing something simple Can anyone help nbsp

A:Can't partition new hard drive

As for your C: drive, that is normally your system drive, and Disk Management can't manipulate your system drive; that's why the Delete Partition choice is grayed out.

As for your New Volume, it is already partitioned into one big partition. You can't partition a partition; you can only partition unallocated space on a disk. In order to divide the one huge partition into smaller partitions, you must first delete the one huge partition in order to create unallocated space.

I use BootIt NG for a multitude of disk tasks. It can shrink a partition without deleting it, giving you unallocated space to do with as you will.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootit-next-generation.htm

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-partition-new-hard-drive.718145/
Relevancy 56.33%

I have partitioned my hard drive, c drive nearly full, how do I return to non partition hard drive. Thanks .

A:Partition hard drive

All drives must have at least one partition to be usable.

Your choices are to get another drive or delete something from the existing drive.

If you happen to have a second partition on the existing drive, you can move personal data files from C to the other partition.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/182479-partition-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 56.33%

I got a computer from someone that had put a hard drive in it. It has a 1.2 but in c properties it says it only has 520m. I tried fdisk create active dos partition and it just says there already is one. I can make an extended one and add the 720 or so but isn't that giving me two partitions. How do I get this to be just one. I haven't done this before. Do I need to get a partition utility.
Thanks

Relevancy 56.33%

my hard drive is split into two partitions C and D they are both the same size 232 and 232 respectively the D drive is HDD recovery which is only using +/- 21 gig's how do i transfer say about 200 gigs of unused space from the D partition to the C partition without corrupting and loosing the recovery section on the D drive???

A:hard drive partition

Hello Jim,

Before we go further, please go ahead and post a screenshot of your Disk Management window showing the full layout of this hard drive to make sure that we give you accurate suggestions.

Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/312221-hard-drive-partition.html
Relevancy 56.33%

Hello!

I have just purchased a laptop. Running XP Home. There have been no problems with it, however, I went into the 'My Computer' and realised that it had automatically had a partition on the hard drive. The hard drive is and 80GB hard drive, however, it now says I have two at 35GB each. Is there any way to get rid of this and make one hard drive of 70GB?

Relevancy 56.33%

I have a universal hard drive adapter kit and I have a sata hard drive that came out of an old computer. I originally got this kit to retrieve some old data off of the drive, but figured I could make a low budget backup hard drive with it. The only problem is the drive is partitioned into two partitions. Is there any software that will allow me to partition it while it connected to my computer via usb cable?

A:Partition a usb hard drive

Any disk management software will allow you to do that, even the built in Windows Disk Management: http://www.theeldergeek.com/disk_management.htm

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/partition-a-usb-hard-drive.1031252/
Relevancy 56.33%

I have just installed a new 320gig hard drive and installed XP on a 80gig partition,I then wanted to create 4 other partitions of around 50gig, unallocated space is just short of 220gig but the new partition wizard will only let me use 225239mg help please

Relevancy 56.33%

i am fixing an computer for an friend...
she pretty much erased the entire operating system on her computer, when i got it in my hands it just gives me an message stating that there is no operating system found...
i inserted an boot disk:
tried first with regular windows 98 and then later with an 2000, and finally with an xp...
all were recognized by the laptop, got to the point where it was telling me that the hard drive was not partitioned and that i needed to do so ... selected options of creating partition... with the 98, it did it then asked me to reboot the computer, once started again partition was gone... and with 2000 and xp just wouldnt do it...
its an laptop compaq presario 1270, any ideas, or is there anything wrong that i am doing?
thanks b4 hand for any help given.

Relevancy 56.33%

Hello All

I am trying to partition my hard drive up to 5 partitions. The one with 100.00GB--Unallocated.
It only can do 4 partition can i change that?
This is off my C:/ drive.

A:Partition up the hard drive

First, download Partition Wizard. Then, right-click in the unallocated space, and select Create. Then create a new Logical partition there.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/79247-partition-up-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 56.33%

Anyone know if there's any way of creating a hard drive partition without formatting the hard drive? Currently running XP on the computer, but I want to creat a linux (Ubantu) partiton, cause I miss it(!)
cheers.

Relevancy 56.33%

Recently tried to install XP Pro into a machine that had been used as a Linux box hadn't been used in - years Partitioned Drive it was GB Reformatted drive FAT installed XP Everything seemed to be working OK I had to walk away from the machine before it was finished When I came back it had restarted and was giving me an expected message about monitor colors resolution I installed drivers from Dell for video sound network as I had for an identical machine then restarted Suddenly the C drive MIA drive partition Hard and all it contained i e the system simply vanished The D partition had been renamed C and I cannot find the lost space approx GB Does anybody know how I can find this lost space without a system installed I tried 'map' from the installation CD and all it sees is an GB partition I'm only moderately PC savvy so please Hard drive partition MIA don't be Hard drive partition MIA tooo techie Thanks in advance rr

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/hard-drive-partition-mia-395907.html
Relevancy 56.33%

I have an older computer running XP. The dard drive was partitioned by Sony into two drives C=14 GB and D=56 GB. C drive is 90% full and D is 99% empty. Is it possible to move anything substantiol to the D drive? Should I back-up and format the drive without partitions? I have an old XP Professional "version 2002" disk. THANKS!

A:Hard drive partition

Option C, if the installation is working well and the D partition is to the right of the C partition (in disk management).
In that case I would install EaseUS Partition manager, delete the D drive after copying anything from there that you want, and then expand the C drive into the unallocated space that use to be the D drive.
Then you should have plenty of room, and not have the hassle of reinstalling or moving data, pagefile and other stuff.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-partition.991448/
Relevancy 56.33%

I was reading a tutorial as to partition a hard drive.It describes how to go to the
Disk Management,then right click where it indicates "unallocated space" and a
NewSimpleVolume option should open.However the problem is that
this NewSingleVolume is dimmed and nothing further can be done.
The hard disk to partition shows as Disk0

Can anybody help with this issue or explain how to partition a hard disk,using Windows 7.
Thank you

AntonABC

A:Partition a hard drive

Did you shrink the existing partition to make room to add a partition ("unallocated space") ???

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/partition-a-hard-drive.1105642/
Relevancy 56.33%

O.K. here goes. I'm currently running Home Premium and looking @ dual booting with Linux and I have no clue how to partition my hard drive to boot both systems. A couple of my friends have both on their notebooks and I'm just wondering if anyone can help me with this.

Thanks in advance.

A:Hard drive partition

if you can shrink your C partion by 20GB, that would be ample for Linux - even 10GB will work if you do not load too much into your Linux partition. But best is you post a picture of yout disk management, then we can have a closer look what your options are.

I run Ubuntu in Virtual Box. Works great and has a lot of advantages over a double boot scenario. You may want to look into that alternative.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/161599-hard-drive-partition.html
Relevancy 56.33%

Just picked up a HP Pavillion desk top. As I was doing a defrag, I noticed that it looks like the hard drive is partitoned. C: is NTFS 77% And D: is FAT 33%. First, would this be true?
Second why would HP do this. How do I access both. Is it necessary to have this? I am not familiar with partitions. Thanks for any input on this issue.

Relevancy 56.33%

Hello all

I have a partition on my cpu that is 30.00gb that i use for programs.

I want to delete it and put the "C" drive back to the right amount. I have the right inf on how to make the partition but lost on how to merge the data back to C drive.

I put a Attached to this on what i have.

Thanks for your help.

A:How to re-partition hard drive.

Ok you first need to Delete a Partition to make the Space to extend the C Drive then Right click the C:\ And select extend Partition then set the Allocated space
You may want to look at these
Partition or Volume - Extend

Hope This Helps,
Josh

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/104459-how-re-partition-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 56.33%

I have a laptop running XP with a drive issue A program no longer on the laptop partitioned the C drive When i go into disk management i can see the c GB NTFS Healthy system and New Volume GB NTFS Healthy Drive? Hard Un-partition a I cannot access the Un-partition a Hard Drive? New Volume nor can i exchange space between the two So basically i am unable to access GB of space Can anyone help This is an issue because my computer is constantly telling me i am running out of memory and i need to free up space on my hard drive which i cannot do anymore This leads to my second question shouldn t GB hold more than just Un-partition a Hard Drive? the operating system and various programs on my computer nothing fancy Un-partition a Hard Drive? MS Office iTunes and a bunch of random stuff i don t use but i have no idea what they are All my music documents photos etc are on an external hard drive I m fairly computer literate - but there is a lot i don t know Thanks in advance for your suggestions ideas and help nbsp

A:Un-partition a Hard Drive?

Music can add up fast.

You can't merge that unallocated space without partitioning tools (or the Vista DVD, if you have one available). But you can assign it a drive letter and put it to use.

Right-click Computer, Manage, Disk Management. Right-click the space and partition it (if need be), format it, and change its drive letter if you want.

You can move the entire My Documents folder to the new drive by right-clicking My Docs on the desktop and putting in the new path to a folder you created on the new drive. Apply and it will all be moved over.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/un-partition-a-hard-drive.612340/
Relevancy 56.33%

Ok so i just defragged my computer twice the first time when i went into my computer manager it would only let me partition 2.7 gigs of space in a new drive. Then it wouldnt let me partition anymore drives saying something about defragging. So i defraged my computer and went back and tried to partition more of the drive and the second time it would only let me partition 2.3 gigs out of 60 gigs of free space.. Im tryin to reformat my computer and i want a bigger partition so i can store my music and videos while i format my hard drive is there any way that i can get around this cause it says i cant partition anymore and im pretty stumped? Thanks!

A:Partition hard drive help?!?!

Quote: Originally Posted by kfl989

Ok so i just defragged my computer twice the first time when i went into my computer manager it would only let me partition 2.7 gigs of space in a new drive. Then it wouldnt let me partition anymore drives saying something about defragging. So i defraged my computer and went back and tried to partition more of the drive and the second time it would only let me partition 2.3 gigs out of 60 gigs of free space.. Im tryin to reformat my computer and i want a bigger partition so i can store my music and videos while i format my hard drive is there any way that i can get around this cause it says i cant partition anymore and im pretty stumped? Thanks!

This might be a big stick approach, but you might like to try booting Windows (from your install disk, select boot with command prompt, and then running diskpart.

Select your disk, delete any partitions then type CLEAN.

This wipes all partition and format data from the disk and you should be able to recreate partitions properly after that.

Of course, you'll be reinstalling windows and applications.

If you don't want to go there, and I guess that is a lot of work.. then I'm sorry, I don't know the answer.

hth

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/137206-partition-hard-drive-help.html
Relevancy 56.33%

I've got a new Vista laptop.
I want to partition the existing hard drive.
How do I do this?

Thanks.
OM

Relevancy 56.33%

Hey i wanted to Cant drive hard partition partition my hard drive to install windows on it First i used EASUES partition manager and did everything resize and create It asked Cant partition hard drive to reboot and i did that but when it is rebooting it says that error partiion cannot be created because of error in harddrive please try again later i then tried gparted live made a cd and when i put it in the program loads up just fine but tells me that i cant resize shrink my C drive less than - MB which is insame Cant partition hard drive as i have GB free on the drive As you can see i tried two softwares but none Cant partition hard drive of them worked Any idea how to solve this problem I also need a manager that can later delete the partition once the win beta expires My OS is xp and i currently have one partition C but when using easuses it has also MB of unallocated space and approx MB of unknown space might be the result of me trynig out linux by wubi now uninstalled Also i am downloading the paragon express version which cancreate partitions but cant delete once if i successfully can create the partition can i then use easues to delete it Can xp natively using disk management delete because a microsoft support page says so but it seems you cant

A:Cant partition hard drive

try converting your hard disk to a dynamic disk then run the software again. If that doesn't help then just try it straight from disk management.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cant-partition-hard-drive-351402.html
Relevancy 56.33%

I have a 40 gig HD I was running Me
I partititioned it with partition magic 6
Into a 25 and 15 blocks
I then installed Xp onto both partitions
I now want to delete the 15 partition to get back to a straight 40 gig disk
I tried
How to use Disk Management to configure basic disks in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=309000

To delete a partition or logical drive:
Click Start, click Run, type compmgmt.msc, and then click OK
In the console tree, click Disk Management
In the Disk Management window, right-click the partition or logical drive that you want to delete, and then click Delete Partition or Delete Logical Drive
Click Yes when you are prompted to delete the partition or logical drive. The partition or logical drive is deleted.

When istart up my computer I still get the option of partition A or B and my 25 gig partition is NOT now 40
Any thoughts please Mark
UK

A:Un-partition Hard Drive

You need to use Partition Magic to expand the 25GB partition to the full drive, deleting a partition does not attach the free space to an existing partition and ther are no tools in Windows XP to expand your other partition.

To get rid of the boot menu you need to modify the boot loader. The easiest way would be to go to Start -> Run -> type MSCONFIG and press ENTER. Then click on the BOOT.INI tab and click the Check All Boot Paths button. Hopefully it will realsise that one of the paths is incorrect and remove the entry.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/un-partition-hard-drive.331430/