Windows Support Forum

SLI board recommendations for the GTX 460 and i7-870

Q: SLI board recommendations for the GTX 460 and i7-870

I want to put together two of the new GTX 460 video cards and using an i7-870 proc.

Any SLI mobo recommendations?

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: SLI board recommendations for the GTX 460 and i7-870

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: SLI board recommendations for the GTX 460 and i7-870

Hi Tom,
what price range are you in here?
......Hmmmmm, something tells me Chef will be here in a minute with that 4 recommendations.
Relevancy 43.86%

amd xp (Long get issue?)....before Thread) call new I a fix ideas(power/board for Last board palomino on a ga- vt winxp sp i upgraded video ram in my computer and now i can t even get the old what was replaced stuff to work here s a few things to list install new vid card update drivers settings reboot no picture to monitor unistall reinstall card boot and monitor has picture install another gig of ram boot no picture take new ram out boot no picture take new card out put new card in boot no picture take new card out Last call for fix ideas(power/board issue?)....before I get a new board (Long Thread) put old card in boot no Last call for fix ideas(power/board issue?)....before I get a new board (Long Thread) picture take all memory out try known good stick in all slots boot and no picture put all back in boot no picture turn power on and watch the led fans run on my lb paper weight it s a never ending combination that i ve tried here and i cannot get a picture on this monitor i ve swapped monitors around and all are good i ve put components from this computer into another computer and they all worked something is not letting this thing boot up i get no picture to the screen and no beeps sounds or anything else i turn the computer on and you hear the fans hard drives and burners powering up and everything but there is no picture going to the monitor it sounded like bad memory because i ran into a case of that before but all the components still work when placed into the other computer my last guess is the board has gone sour i was reading other posts and people have mentioned the power supply but where do i check that at it s a codegen w ps came with the case which was also made by gigabyte i m assuming since it is stamped all over the place if i can t find help with that problem then how about some suggestions for a new board since my options have opened up some because i ve been told my pc sticks will work on board that are rated below that they just have to be able to take gb per slot here s the components - amd xp palomino socket a - maxtor gb hd - maxtor gb hd - x dl dvd r rw drive - x x cd r rw drive - floppy drive - mb ddr pci nvidia geforce mx - mb savageIII agp will probably be placed in storage - gb pc mhz ddr sdram - mb pc mhz ddr sdram i m leaning toward an asus board but the abit s are cheaper and i won t be asking a lot out of the computer except reliabilty sorry for the long thread but i can t think of anything else that would be wrong except board or power supply tia for your help - tag nbsp

A:Last call for fix ideas(power/board issue?)....before I get a new board (Long Thread)
Relevancy 42.57%

Hello All I ve been having this issue while playing on Asus P4P800S-X Sound On-Board Board games lately I just got an Intel Ghz Prescott with Gig of DDR ram and I m now using an ATI Radeon by Sapphire MB DDR I dont have a sound card so I m using the one on-board that comes with On-Board Sound on Asus P4P800S-X Board the Asus P P S-X motherboard SoundMax While im playing a game after a reboot everything is fine for about a minute then the video starts lagging and lagging and getting worse and worse Its like it locks up more and more and the sound cuts alot To the point that its not even close to being fun playing anymore The game On-Board Sound on Asus P4P800S-X Board im playing is Guild Wars which requires alot less than I have I also talk on Skype at the same time and when I m fighting or more guys I cant even hear anything on Skype I have a mbps connection on cable And this is with the game graphics at the lowest Now get this If I disable the audio in the Bios and load up the game with full graphics smooth nice game play I ve tested playing a long time and its perfect with no lag at all Now I m guessing that is pretty conclusive Should I get a Sound Blaster Live or could it still be something else Conflicts Im also running windows xp sp Thanks for taking the time XeroVariX -- lt SYSTEM CONFIGURATION gt -- On-Board Sound on Asus P4P800S-X Board CPU Pentium GHz Mhz FSB MEMORY Gig DDR RAM MOTHERBOARD Asus P P S-X Intel Chipset Mhz FSB CASE Watt Power Supply VIDEO CARD Sapphire ATI Radeon MB DDR AGP HARD DRIVE Quantum Fireball GIG RPM ND HARD DRIVE Western Digital GIG RPM DVD-R DRIVE LG X DVD Burner SOUND CARD SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio NETWORK CARD On-Board Realtek RTL Family PCI MONITOR Viewsonic quot M B KEYBOARD Key PS MOUSE Logitech MX Optical Mouse USB CONNECTION Mbit Cable OS Windows XP Pro Service Pack nbsp

A:On-Board Sound on Asus P4P800S-X Board

Have you loaded the motherboard makers sound chip drivers, or is it just limping along on the default Windows drivers? Might make a difference.
Relevancy 40.85%

ok bought a barebones pc of ebay Came with a pc chips board wouldnt post reset jumpers and after a week of trying to get it to work finally said it was ead and went and bought a MSI KT board thinking this will fix problem installed cpu and heat sink installed board into case and installed stick of pc turned it on but same thing happened as before board to msi board..same chips from problem pc with pc chips board fans on cpu and vga card from pc chips board to msi board..same problem spin but just a black screen rset jumpers to clear and reset back tried again still wouldnt boot checked to make sure it board wasnt touching case and shorting from pc chips board to msi board..same problem out but everything seems to be good there theres no beep codes same as with pc chips board KT board comes with a pci slot attachment with usb and led error light when i start pc the light stay on red In manual it says that means cpu is not installed correctly from pc chips board to msi board..same problem or either it is damages reseated cpu and used some artic silver but still same thing and led light stay red im thinking there was nothing wrong with pc chips board just like theres nothing wrong with msi board Could it be the power supply It has a cheap power supply HERCULES is the name on it it weighs almost nothing Ive tried different stick of memory and vga card only things that are comman with problem cpu a AMD Athlon XP mhz and this cheap power supply The problem has to be with either the cpu or power supply thats what im thinking nbsp

A:from pc chips board to msi board..same problem

If ur not posting and considering what u've done coupled with the MSI diagnostics it is very likely there is a problem with this cpu.
You need to get a hold of another compatible AMD cpu just to see if u can post, from there u can confront the ebay seller for any restitution ovr the cpu if there was any kind of guarantee offered at all with the purchased items.
Relevancy 40.42%

Hi friends,
I have windows xp sp2 on 80gb harddisk , mother board mercury make,intel processor now this mercury mother borad what i have donot support ddr2 RAM, i had moved harddisk to intel motherboard box.

i am able to detect harddisk and windows apologies to start safe , last good menu and start normally and command prompt appears, i tried all options but fail to start windows xp.

Pl. find me solution to loginto windows and resume work.

A:moved windows xp sp2 harddisk from mercury mother board to intel mother board

you cant use the same xp on another motherboard.
Relevancy 33.54%

So Dell made a really terrible 15 Series power 15 Can a board power board? a with Inspiron Dell Dell I Series Inspiron 5000 replace 7000 decision nbsp They have a transparent strip in the power button for an LED light to indicate if the power is on nbsp A power indicator is a given in any laptop no matter how cheap it is nbsp However Dell in all of it Can I replace a Dell Inspiron 15 5000 Series power board with a Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Series power board? s genius decided to not include an LED bulb on laptops up to the Inspiron Series despite leaving a transparent slot for it nbsp Seriously what happened to this brand nbsp Do children make these laptops now I want to fix this as my laptop is no longer returnable and a power indicator is absolutely necessary nbsp So the only thing I can think of is replacing it with one from the Series somehow Can I replace a Dell Inspiron 15 5000 Series power board with a Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Series power board? with some help probably This is a Dell Inspiron nbsp I also have an Inspiron nbsp Not sure which exact model I should get the part for Are they compatible Is there an easier way Like how Fn H turns on the hard drive indicator Thanks

A:Can I replace a Dell Inspiron 15 5000 Series power board with a Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Series power board?

The systems use different case and mainboard designs -- and may even be made by different companies.  The answer in all likelihood is no.
I don't think Apple has produced a Macbook with a power indicator -- the PC vendors are playing follow Apple.
Relevancy 33.11%

Hello, I have a laptop HP ENVY DV7  i7 processor with beatsaudio. When I last checked ,I'm in need of a whole new case and fan. I dropped it twice, first time, i was able to take it 90%  apart and fix. The second time is beyond my expertise because it shuts off immediately as I turn it on. One of the screws is not smooth out so I can't take it apart anymore. Any recommendations on the least expensive way to resolve my issue. William

A:Any recommendations

Need the full model number so we can evaluate how old it is and how expensive replacement parts are likely to be.
Relevancy 33.11%

I have a Dell Dimension 8200 and a throttled down cable connection. I am interested in getting the absolute most out of it that I can, does anyone know of a good NIC card that would make the most of my connection?

A:NIC Recommendations

i use linksys but there's belkin, 3com/probably the best, netgear.

what do you mean "throttled down", are you paying for a lower price for up/down, are there tiers above you that pay more, get more up/down speed?

are you in an apartment complex?
Relevancy 33.11%

I need to buy a portable printer TOMORROW MORNING...

Anyone who can recommend a brand and model to me would be a great help.

Thanks in advance,

A:Need recommendations

Just about any new printer is portable. What are you using it for?

I always shop for printers based on ink price. The cheaper the ink the less you will pay over time.
Relevancy 33.11%

I'm looking to jump up to a 500GB or even a 640GB hard drive, and I was just wondering if some of you might share experience/make recommendations. It's to go in my Toshiba (see my specs), so obviously it has to be a laptop-sized (2.5-in.) drive. Thoughts?

A:HDD recommendations

Western Digital.

Do remember that a faster disk will for sure draw more juice.

Have you had an opportunity to ask at the Toshiba site as to their recommendations. I've got a Toshiba laptop with Win 7 (I'm using it at this very moment.) I have only a 120 GB SSD and only 51 GB thereof are in use.

As others may tell you, a SSD will bring a measurable and noticeable performance increase.
Relevancy 33.11%

I am thinking of replacing my linksys model BEFCMU10 modem and router because it constantly every couple of minutes disconnects and reconnects. I am looking for recommendations for a new one.

Relevancy 33.11%

I have a computer that I want to keep for the time being but it is using the Windows Me operating system. I want to just upgrade it to Windows 2000 prof. Does anyone know of a reputable place to purchase the software. I tried a site online called, and am now fighting to get back my money. Never got the software.

Also, if I ever find a place to buy the software, I also need the service pack 4. Will I be able to just download an upgrade to sp4?

Thanks in advance for your info.

A:Recommendations Please

ebay sometimes ok as long as software sealed with code i have had no problems in past,also have a lap top with your specs and it runs xp, not very fast i must admit but with a few tweaks its quite good
Relevancy 33.11%

Since more and more software/games are being released on DVD and back-up capacity is ever increasing, I need a DVD-RW for my PC. I'll give my system specs and set-up and please recommend a dependable, economical unit.

Specs: 6-year-old home-built PC. ASUS P4B266-C mobo, Intel P4 2.4Mhz Northwood CPU, 2GB PC2700 DDR memory, 80 GB 7200 RPM WD HDD, PlexWriter 40/12/40A CD-RW, LiteOn 52X CD, W2K Pro/XP Pro dual boot OS.

The PlexWriter and LiteOn are on one IDE channel with the PlexWriter set as master and the LiteOn as slave. My WD HDD is on the other IDE channel. I want to replace the PlexWriter master with a new DVD-RW unit as master.

What would be a good unit? Thanks.

Relevancy 33.11%

Has anyone got any recommendations for a new GPU in a dell inspiron 570 something that wont over heat due to the case?? and the motherboard supports up to 8gb of ram currently it has 4gb if i upgraded would i have to upgrade the power supply from 250w to around 400w?

i currently have a geforce 310 and it can run battlefield bad company 2 on medium to high
Relevancy 33.11%

asper title can anyone suggest a decent ups, upto ?100 please.

Cheers guys

A:Recommendations for a ups

I have had great luck with the APC brand, pick one that has the number of protected outlets needed in your price range.
Buy Uninterruptible Power Supplies (UPS) from APC & Eaton | Insight UK
Cyber Power is also a good brand.
Relevancy 33.11%

I need some recommendations for a good SSD (laptop). Here are the ones I've researched so far with positive reviews.

Samsung 840 evo
Samsung 850 pro-series
Crucial M500

The 840 evo seems to have the best reviews but I'm still unsure... Any suggestions/recommendations would be much appreciated!

A:SSD Recommendations?

I have a Kingston V300 120GB SSD in one laptop and OCZ ARC100 120 GB in another. Both perform great and have excellent ratings on Newegg. I have ordered a second Kingston for a desktop.
Relevancy 33.11%

Can anyone recommend any 'Blade Runner' type games for the PC. I played Blade Runner a couple of years ago and it was the best game of that type I've ever played. Nothing yet has come close to it.

Try this link :
Relevancy 33.11%

Once more I bow the the experience of the TSG community and ask for a bit of advice.

The PSU on my machine is on its last legs, I base this on the fact it has started to smell of hot plastic and consequently my machine is not in use until I can replace it.

I have about bad / good PSUs on here many times so I thought I would ask for a bit of advice on a replacement.

My specs are at the top and in addition to that I have the following that needs power:

Aftermarket GPU cooler and 82mm fan
2x 120mm Case fans

I'm also after a bit of future proofing for upgrades as I plan to do some soon (it needs it in a few areas). Asus website power checker recommends at least 600W.

Im in the UK so relevant suppliers would be appreciated.

Many thanks

A:PSU recommendations

Here is my basic rule for ANY machine using a PCIe video card.

Because of ATX design criteria anytime you are using a PCIe video card you should look for a power supply that either has a large single +12v rail (50-60 amps) or at least three +12v rails at 17-19 amps per rail. ATX specs specify that the +12v2 rail should be dedicated and isolated for the processor auxiliary power. If you purchased a power supply with two +12v rails and +12v2 was dedicated and isolated for the processor auxiliary power you would only have the +12v1 rail to supply all of your +12v system needs. Power supply's with two +12v rails are fine for machines with integrated, PCI or AGP video cards, however by design they are lacking in power if you are using a PCIe video card.

Of course if you are considering a high wattage processor and a high power video card or cards you would need a power supply with a large single +12v rail of around 80 amps or if you want a power supply with multiple +12v rails look for a unit with four or more +12v rails at 18 amps or more per rail. With ANY unit the power output should be calculated at 40-50C NOT 25C.

You should also have approximately 40-80 amps combined on the +3.3v and +5v rails.

In my opinion a power supply with a large single +12v rail is generally a better selection than a power supply with multiple +12v rails since you don't have to worry about rail power sharing with a large single +12v rail.

Modular Power Supply's: Although modular power supply's are nice from a wiring routing standpoint in my opinion they are not a good choice because of potential power loss at the connectors, plus with a modular unit you have many more points of potential failure than with a hard wired unit.

I recommend either PC POWER & COOLING, CORSAIR, or SILVERSTONE for single +12v rail power supplys and ANTEC or OCZ for multi +12v rail power supplys with three or more +12v rails.
Relevancy 33.11%

Hey guys,

Just upgrading my PC and this is what I've got so far:

Motherboard - ASUS M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 ATX
CPU - AMD Athlon II X2 250 Socket AM3 3.0GHz 2MB
RAM - Crucial 2GB DDR3 1333MHz/PC3-10600 Memory CL9 1.5V
HDD - 2 x Seagate ST3160023AS 160.0GB [From the start of the PC]
Drive - From the start of the PC, not too sure what it is.

I need a case for this, I really don't want to spend that much. Can anyone recommend something cheap that'll fit all this in nicely?

Relevancy 33.11%

Hi I am running Microsoft Windows XP SP currently on a very old computer its years awesome isn t it However i am bound by the low specs of the computer It has Intel Pentium III processor Mhz MB RAM GB hard disk and a x cd-rom Can OS Recommendations better a for you please recommend a better operating system for my computer I need an OS that can run on this computer and that it can work well with browsers running flash apps and Windows Apps i know Linux supports Windows stuff by using Recommendations for a better OS an application called quot Wine quot So in general i need an OS that is fast to boot preferred and it supports Windows Apps and it works fine with a browser running flash applications I don t mind the display and graphics so long as it Recommendations for a better OS is not of those quot old quot looking ones like Windows me K etc Prefer that of Windows XP those D-feeling I dont know if I am posting this in the correct forum but i cannot find a better one Thank you very much for your support

A:Recommendations for a better OS

I'm wondering in what way you hope an alternative will be "better"? My internet computer is a laptop with 1.6GHz Mobile Sempron, so 800MHz when on battery. It runs XP SP3 with IE8, or Opera if I wish. So it's not necessarily a faster or much faster system than yours (a PIII was not a bad CPU), but it does have 512MB of RAM. I usually run with four or more IE windows, and I don't notice it running with any difficulty. Finding some RAM to take yours up to 512MB could make a worthwhile difference.

Using Linux and WINE is certainly feasible, but is more complex and you'd be looking to use an older or tiny Linux - your system doesn't even meet the minimum requirements to run the current Ubuntu for example, whereas it considerably exceeds the minimum requirements for Windows XP. I sincerely doubt if you'd find Linux and WINE to be "better" than your current setup.
Relevancy 33.11%

Hey guys My specifications are in my profile if you need to take a look but for time-saving i ll post them here too Anyway my systems been having frame-rate PSU Recommendations? drops with various games mainly real new ones such as Skyrim and BF overall my PSU Recommendations? system should be able to play these games fine and the only real problem I can see is the PSU as it s a bog-standard W cheap- replacement I bought waaaay before upgrading Anyway even if that s not the issue for my frame-rate drops i m gonna upgrade the PSU regardless as this ones too god-damn noisy So really I m here just to get your recommendations I don t really want to spend over on a new PSU and have already looked at a few I was thinking with the - W OCZ PSU s the ZS series or the ModXStream however I don t know which one is a higher standard or better for gaming so if anyone want s to help me out or throw me another idea then feel free I would greatly appreciate it Thank you Specs AMD X Black Edition Processor GB Corsair Vengeance Ram ASRock N C-S UCC Motherboard NVIDIA GTX ti Graphics Card Standard W PSU Hard-drives Both SATA II GB amp GB nbsp

Relevancy 33.11%

okay i have a lame Gigabyte-G31M-ES2C motherboard. Rev 1.1

now what will be a good gfx for me in $100 ?

A:$100 GPU recommendations?

the Nvidia 250 GTS, or the ATI HD 4850
Relevancy 33.11%

Ok so I m sure you re all sick of this Need recommendations some types of threads but I need some advice I m still using my maybe year old Pentium system Noticing some things I want Need some recommendations to do are being limited by my old specs Here s what I ve got Pentium Processor GHz Intel D GGC motherboard w onboard ATI Radeon Xpress X MB SDRAM DDR LITEON x DVD -RW Drive SANYO CD-ROM Drive Western Digital Caviar SE WD KS GB RPM SATA Gb s Hard Drive Windows XP Professional SP One major thing that bothered me lately was while trying to work on a project for my game design class and using Torque X d builder to edit a game we had started my cpu maxed out task manager told me it was at and i was unable to do much of anything due to it locking up Ok so I really want to build a new setup If I could afford it I d go all out but I can t So what kinda setup could i put together with say - I don t do much PC gaming I ve got my Xbox for that but it s not out of the question The main things I do on it are surfing web watching movies and now some game development Basically I need help deciding on a processor mobo and video card Any and all suggestions are appreciated EDIT also we will be making a D game soon and I m sure my PC wouldn t be able to handle that at all nbsp

Relevancy 33.11%

Hello I have a large amount of PSU Recommendations money saved to make the ultimate machine I have everything and I'm not sure of the PSU due to being unsure about mow much juice I will need to power this beast Computer parts selected MOTHERBOARD Intel BOXDX SO LGA Intel PSU Recommendations X SATA Gb s USB ATX Intel Motherboard PROCESSOR Intel Core i - Gulftown GHz x PSU Recommendations KB L Cache MB L Cache LGA W Six-Core Desktop Processor BX I RAM G SKILL Ripjaws Series GB x GB -Pin DDR SDRAM DDR PC Desktop Memory Model F - CL T - GBRL CASE Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case HARD DRIVES Seagate SV Series ST SV TB RPM MB Cache SATA Gb s quot Internal Hard Drive Might add or more hard drives for storage GRAPHICS CARD S EVGA G-P - -KR GeForce GTX Ti Fermi GB -bit GDDR PCI Express x HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card Consider a second graphics card because I'm thinking of running an SLI DVD CD BURNER LITE-ON Black X DVD R X DVD RW X DVD R DL X DVD-R X DVD-RW X DVD-RAM X DVD-ROM X CD-R X CD-RW X CD-ROM MB Cache SATA X DVD Writer LightScribe Support DVD CD READER LITE-ON Black X DVD-ROM X CD-ROM SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model iHDS - - OEM CARD READER S Rosewill RCR-IC -in- USB quot Internal Card Reader w USB Port Extra Silver Face Plate CPU FAN HEATSINK CORSAIR CWCH - High Performance CPU Cooler SOUND CARD HT OMEGA eClaro Channels -bit KHz PCI Express x Interface Sound Card You can basically copy paste the full name into the search bar at Newegg com to see more info of the part I put some additional info under the names of the parts for things that may happen when thinking of a PSU to power this thing Any good recommendations And one more thing will the CPU cooler work well with the i processor I chose Thank you

A:PSU Recommendations

Quote: Originally Posted by PwnFrnzy

Hello, I have a large amount of money saved to make the ultimate machine, I have everything and I'm not sure of the PSU due to being unsure about mow much juice I will need to power this beast.

Thank you.

There are numerous web sites like this one:

Antec Power Supply Calculator

that allow you to input your choices and add up the power needs. Not perfect, but gives some idea of where to start!

Relevancy 33.11%

My current Thermaltake Volcano 7 Heatsink fan (CPU) has about had it, it turns on and off occasionally. So I was wondering what Thermaltake everyone recommends. I would like to keep the cost under $20 as I only paid that much for the Volcano 7. Here are my system specs:

Athlon XP 1700
512 MB RAM
GeForce MX440 64 MB

Relevancy 33.11%

Seriously thinking of getting a games machine,whichin your opinion is the best to go for Sony or Xbox 360 ?

Relevancy 33.11%

I need a new Harddrive I have right now all internal and I d like to keep it that way I have a TB and a GB both SATA GB s and a GB and GB IDE recommendations? HDD The GB one is partitioned into separate drives GB GB and GB the remainder So in My Computer it shows drives I use the GB partition as my boot partition I never store anything of value on the C drive so it can stay small there are GB free I use the GB partition as my personal file drive On this I put music movies pictures misc stuff applications basically everything that I want to keep forever there are GB free On the GB partition I put full movies backups of ones that I own but I m starting to delete them as I just make hard copies on disks GB free On the GB I put raw game recordings Some of you might follow the game Halo or visit Halo Bungie Org so you might have seen the news about the Cutscene Library being updated with HD versions of the cutscenes from Halo and Halo well that was me All the recorded files from the cutscenes from those games go on this HDD recommendations? drive as well as another game s cutscenes I m recording Halo Wars These take up a LOT of space especially the Halo ones almost GB I have just GB free on this one On the B drive I keep the rendered files from those cutscenes after I cut and edit them out The rendered files are p videos so they re smaller than the full HD I recorded them at GB free And finally the TB drive is where I install my games download stuff to before I figure out where I want to put it make copies of my HD-DVD and BluRay movies since I don t have a BluRay burner just the internal drive and this is also where my recordings from my HD capture card go on this I have GB free of the available GB Ok so here is my dilema I have a W PSU but with HDD internal optical drives and one external and a GeForce GT Superclocked this beast needs quite a bit of power I m not sure I want to upgrade my PSU or if I ll need to but in addition to a recommendation I ll need some advice SHOULD I ugrade my PSU or will W be enough with what I have I COULD remove the GB drive where I keep the rendered cutscenes but I like to keep them all separate so I don t want to put the cutscenes on another drive They re easier to find this way Ok so now to the meat of the matter I need a recommendation for a new HDD I m thinking I want to stay away from anything bigger than a terrabyte I don t trust the technology enough yet to put all my potentially precious information in such a dense format so it ll have to be a TB I ve looked at Newegg but to be honest HDD s are not my speciality I know how they work but there are people that know them in and out better than I do Can anyone recommend a good harddrive that will serve well as a storage device and one that you might have had luck with yourself I ve looked at these Western Digital Caviar Black Western Digital Caviar Green Those are the highest rated TB drives on Newegg and the TB I already own is a WD Caviar Green so idk Anyways could I get some help Thanks in advance nbsp

A:HDD recommendations?

Are you kidding me? 18,000 active members and I can't even get 1 reply?
Relevancy 33.11%

After concluding that I cannot afford an LTO- tape backup NAS Recommendations for who can and learning that Recommendations for NAS BDXL Blu-Ray is just too darned tricky I have settled on the obvious - a NAS OK now here's Recommendations for NAS my problem Every NAS seems to get both positive and negative reviews the negative ones I believe to be coming from home users who are not tech savvy Briefly my requirements are simple bays - that will Recommendations for NAS accommodate X TB or X TB HDD's A diskless NAS - I prefer to buy my HDD's separately The major NAS manufacturers most respected are Synology Synology DiskStation -Bay Diskless Network Attached Storage DS http www amazon com Synology-DiskStation-Diskless-Attached-DS dp B U UHG ref sr ie UTF amp qid amp sr - amp keywords DS j Netgear Iomega Qnap Buffalo Right now I'm leaning toward the Syology hence the link What do you more knowledgeable guys think I could really use some sage advice here ------------------------- One final and critical question I built a computer for a kid misguided altruism who turned out to be more interested in being a rap music star or debuting on the TV show First Hours Anyway this computer is pretty nice ASUS M A Evo - AM - - SATA Gbps and USB with an AMD Quad Core CPU and GB DDR- RAM If I sell it on eBay I probably won't get my money back So my question Would I be better off to buy the Snology that I mentioned before or should I just download the NAS software and load this computer with lots of HDD's

A:Recommendations for NAS

It would be far cheaper to buy additional disks for the existing computer - you could create a RAID or JBOD if you require, or just use the disks as normal. You can't download specific NAS software - this software is actually the operating system that the NAS uses.

Use the existing PC as your backup, use SyncToy to perform the backups.

SyncToy - Backup User Data
Relevancy 33.11%

I was hoping to make it a simple cpu and ram upgrade but I got a chip that is not compatible with my current mb ga- vaxp I have a amd barton mhz cpu with sticks of meg pc ram Since I some help/recommendations... Need tried the upgrade my pc winxp sp spontaneously reboots approx sec after logging in and this is happening with my old cpu in - I am currently using the pc ram I think Need some help/recommendations... it s a registry issue but a system restore from a known good point has done nothing So I don t want to send the cpu back to newegg restock fee and I probably need to reformat So Need some help/recommendations... I need a new mb Since I probably need to reformat I might as well get a new hd as well I think my geforce ti meg agp card will last me a bit longer So I need recommendations Need some help/recommendations... on a mb with built in sound and lan that has sata and a hd that is a sata or if there are better less pricey versions list that as well My current hd is gig so size is not important I doubt if they make gig anymore Recommendations nbsp

A:Need some help/recommendations...

80GB, 7200RPM, 8MB cache, SATA I/II Hitachi drive:

And you can use your old Hard drive as a secondary drive.
Relevancy 33.11%

I put this in Networking since there are a few more specifics to it that I m looking for but feel free to move it if it could be better placed elsewhere I m doing some home network upgrades For a long time I ve been running an old Win k Server with two GB drives in a Raid array It works fine but it is aging and I m building up a new server running now got a license through DreamSpark figure I might as well use it the experience with it at home will help for when we move to k at work After much hesitation I started building up a laptop as the new server I think it will work fine for a few reasons -I had a Lenovo T with GB RAM hanging around -The battery backup will be awesome on it hours or so without even being plugged into the UPS -Footprint Power use heat generation is kept to a minimum the current server generates a lot of heat and noise -I don t Recommendations? NAS have a monitor in the closet where the server switch patch panel all are so this way I don NAS Recommendations? t have to rely on remote desktop to connect to it -It really doesn t need a lot of horsepower to do what it needs to do It basically sits there and holds active directory accounts and serves printers I also open the RDP port on it so I can get to my files and use it as a terminal server from afar if I need to The current one serves files too but I d like to use a NAS for that at this point The whole purpose behind the server is basically for active directory--no account password headaches that way I want to find a NAS that meets the following to take care of the file sharing storage end of things -RAID and therefore two drives is a must - TB of storage is more than enough I m only using GB on my current file server and that number hasn t been climbing quickly -Active directory integration is also a must--again no account and password headaches that way Anyone have any recommendations Even a good empty NAS would be fine as I can pickup two TB drives for it and put them in Thanks nbsp
Relevancy 33.11%

I'd like to get a PDA for myself for personal use. I'd like something that holds phone numbers and has a calendar so I can keep track of my "busy" life, and an easy system for hooking it up to my desktop and allowing me to transfer some cookbook files and shopping lists from a Sierra program I have.
I've done some looking around but being a "paper and pencil" person in computer land is terribly difficult for me, and I just can't decide which PDA would suit my needs best.
I'd like a color display, so the old eyes can see the screen better, maybe something under $200.00, if that's possible. Is this asking too much for an under $200.00 machine, or should I be looking for something in a higher price range.
Any and all recommendations GREATLY appreciated!
Relevancy 33.11%

Hey everyone I am very into video editing I m not into feature length movies but simple videos that range from a couple minutes up to minutes or so I ve been Recommendations PC using my laptop to edit videos but it s just not powerful enough anymore now that I edit in HD Does anyone out there have any recommendations on any desktop PCs PC Recommendations that would be ideal for video editing I m not looking for anything top of the line but I m not looking to buy the cheapest I can find either I m just looking for something affordable whether it be pre-built or something that I can build myself I know it s probably best and cheaper for me to buy the parts and build it myself I know many of you will probably recommend a Mac but I can t afford one and I m sure I can get an equally powerful PC for much cheaper Any recommendations would be great Thanks in advance nbsp

A:PC Recommendations

Without a budget the list is infinite.
May I suggest you go to an online retailer make some choices (complete system or parts) and post the results here.
We can then help you make your choice
Relevancy 33.11%

hi well first off i want to provide u with some info about my current PC which is rather old I want to buy some hardware and i was considering motherboard processor my question is what more new for recommendations PC should i buy since new hardware will change storage SATA do u recommend western digital or seagate and is it preferable to buy of gb or with GB another question is amd or intel and is it possible to connect or processors on the motherboard i read that somewhere what about the power supply why is it different recommendations for new PC to buy watts and watts do u consider zalman products as recommendations for new PC good or rather troublesome what about the CPU cooler is it good to have a fan water cooling system or with coil or whatever material see attachment for detailed PC profile should i overclock my current pc what do i need to look for to see if it is possible is it worth it BRIEF SUMMARY Computer Computer Type ACPI Uniprocessor PC Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional OS Service Pack Service Pack Internet Explorer IE DirectX DirectX c Computer Name JLI-COM General progs User Name jli Logon Domain JLI-COM Date Time - - Motherboard CPU Type Intel Pentium MHz x Motherboard Name Asus P B-E PCI AGP CNR DIMM Motherboard Chipset Intel Brookdale i System Memory MB SDRAM BIOS Type Award Medallion Communication Port Communications Port COM Communication Port Communications Port COM Communication Port Bluetooth COM Port for PDA COM Communication Port Bluetooth COM Port for GSM GPRS MODEM COM Communication Port Bluetooth COM Port for Handset Manager Software COM Communication Port Bluetooth COM Port for Special Phones COM Communication Port ECP Printer Port LPT Display Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce MX with AGP X MB D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce MX with AGP X Monitor LG Flatron L S quot LCD Multimedia Audio Adapter Creative SB Live Sound Card Audio Adapter IC Ensemble Delta- Storage IDE Controller Intel R BA Ultra ATA Controller Storage Controller SCSI RAID Host Controller Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive Disk Drive WDC WD BB- CFC GB IDE Disk Drive WDC WD JB- JJA GB IDE Optical Drive NEC DVD RW ND- AW DVD R x DVD-R x DVD RW x x DVD-RW x x DVD-ROM x CD x x x DVD RW DVD-RW Optical Drive RICOH CD-R RW MP A x x x CD-RW SMART Hard Disks Status OK Partitions C NTFS MB MB free D NTFS MB MB free E NTFS MB MB free Total Size GB GB free Input Keyboard Standard -Key or Microsoft Natural PS Keyboard Mouse PS Compatible Mouse Game Controller Microsoft PC-joystick driver Network Primary IP Address Primary MAC Address - E- E- -FE- Network Adapter Realtek RTL x Family Fast Ethernet NIC Peripherals Printer hp LaserJet Series Driver Printer Dliamis-hby Canon iP Printer DLIAMIS-HBY HP Officejet series Printer Adobe PDF Printer Auto t ata HP LaserJet MS st PGATSIS on DL-TESTPC Printer Auto Canon iP on DL-WEBSERVER Printer Microsoft Office Document Image Writer Infrared Controller Infrared Port USB Controller Intel BA ICH X - USB Controller C- USB Controller Intel BA ICH X - USB Controller C- USB Device USB Human Interface Device DMI DMI BIOS Vendor Award Software Inc DMI BIOS Version ASUS P B-E ACPI BIOS Revision A DMI System Manufacturer System Manufacturer DMI System Product System Name DMI System Version System Version DMI System Serial Number EVAL DMI Motherboard Manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer INC DMI Motherboard Product P B-E DMI Motherboard Version REV xx DMI Motherboard Serial Number xxxxxxxxxxx DMI Chassis Manufacturer Chassis Manufacture DMI Chassis Version Chassis Version DMI Chassis Serial Number EVAL DMI Chassis Asset Tag Asset- DMI Chassis Type Tower DMI Total Free Memory Sockets nbsp
Relevancy 33.11%

Hi guys looking for a free Audio Converter mostly from Wav, Flac & Mp3 to Apple Iphone and IPod format and good suggestions ?

Have been using AVS Audio Converter 6 but it is totally unstable Grrrrrr

A:Recommendations Please

I use this one - for both audio and video or video to audio. Has always worked well: Format Factory - Free media file format converter I hope the format you are looking for is on their list.
Relevancy 33.11%

Was wondering if anyone can recommend a decent reliable TB HDD I saw this one on amazon http www amazon co uk HDD Recommendations? 1TB Western-Dig dp ob title ce ie UTF amp qid amp sr - and thought it looked pretty good especially for the price Plus I ve never had any problems with WD in the past Any comments or other suggestions 1TB HDD Recommendations? would be greatly appreciated Just to note my PSU is a Corsair W - the above is compatible yes The PSU offers SATA connectors I m unsure if SATA-II is compatible mainly because I don t know that much about SATA-II Am I correct in thinking SATA and SATA-II connectors are the same The main purpose of this new HDD is to be for backups and for media storage and eventually for a new OS probably Windows Just wanting to confirm is it possible to partition the drive into so that one will be free to install the OS on but one can run without an OS Basically I d like the quot storage quot partition to operate like an external drive but from inside my PC - in other words as one large media quot folder quot Sorry if any of this is unclear I ll try and clarify if you need me to Cheers all nbsp

Relevancy 33.11%

Hello everyone i was thinking of upgrading my audio system and i have problems i nedd help choosing between two speakers and if i should get a sound card I have WIN HP bit These are the two speakers that i was deciding between and i want Recommendations the logitech for Recommendations quality but i think its not so new anymore so i dont know if i should get the CA speakers because i have good experiences with them here they are http www newegg com Product Produc E http www newegg com Product Produc E Now if you know any better speakers less than dollars please tell me about them Lastly i have an Recommendations ASUS m a -m motherboard with via HD channel audio i dont know if i should get a soundcard or not Is it really worth it I was looking at some of the the Creative Cards but they dont seem to have good drivers for Windows What card can you recommend if i need an upgrade to me i usually play lots of games shooters and simulators mostly and listens to lots of music and works well with bit Thank you all for your time Andre

My opinion, definately the Logitech speakers.

I would upgrade the speakers and then if you feel you "must have" better audio then look at a separate sound card. I have an HT Omega "Striker 7.1" sound card (PCI type) installed in my system.
Relevancy 33.11%

I need to upgrade my psu, and was wondering if anyone could recommend some good ones. I was thinking of this one. MSI TurboStream 460W BTX. What do you guys think? Dont want to skimp idont wanna fry anything but want to stay $100 and under. Intel 945p pentium d 2.8 1gb ram 7300le 500gb and 2 dvd drives. reason for psu is upgrade ordered 8800 gts 500gb (wd) 2gb dualchannel memory (Corsair). I got xps400 btx. I'm not sure how to figure out how much power i need. Any help will be appreciated.

A:Psu Recommendations

You might want to bump the power supply up to a 600 watt. Many people swear by Antec. I have been using Ultra for over 2 years now and have never had a problem with one. I upgraded in December and installed a 700 watt Ultra because I also installed an XFX 8800 GTX. The 8800 GTS doesn't call for as much power as the GTX flavor, so a 600 watt psu should give you plenty of juice with some headroom to spare.
Relevancy 33.11%

Here s the deal - had one desktop computer crash today Need recommendations - tech was installing a PS and said it arced - fried the MB I need to replace the Desktop computer also need a nice laptop computer to replace mine and a low end laptop computer to give to my wife Here s the uses for the desktop amp upper end laptop Need recommendations - running Office and QuickBooks Peachtree MS Accounting Responsive is a must - don t want to pay for extras that we don t need - we have MS Action Pack so we can install Office ourselves The low end laptop - is just something my wife can do so word processing internet etc on as well as internet surfing Interested in specs - most interested in recommenations on where to go to purchase this stuff would really like a month same as cash deal - but if not I ll get a new credit card to throw it on and get the same type of deal Thanks Brandon nbsp

Relevancy 33.11%

I need a couple of new HDs for a secondary rig that I'm equipping, and that should be simple enough, but when browsing the choices, I start getting confused. This is primarily due to the pricing of various sizes are so close together. For instance, I can get a new SG 500GB like I have now for ~$60, but a new SG 1.5TB for ~$99, and that is after only a very quick search.

Perhaps it's a no brainer, but when looking at the larger drives, with low prices, I get to wondering if there is some other factor to consider? If I recall, there is a problem with booting to a HD of 2TB or more, but what about 1.5TB?

A:HDD Recommendations

I always get the best buy for the money at the largest storage size.

But make sure it is compatible with your Bios & motherboard, IDE & Sata connections.

Plus prices keep getting lower & storage size keeps getting bigger
Relevancy 33.11%

(This is in reference to this thread: )

Hey, one more quick question pertaining to this problem. Now that I'm pretty sure that its my processor thats the problem, what new processor should I get?

Taking into consideration my current specs. I now have 2 512MB Ram sticks and 1 256MB ram stick in my motherboard. What new processor should I get? Price isn't really an issue.

Also, anyone know of some REALLY GOOD DVD Burners? I'm looking to buy a new dvd burner as well as a new processor. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Relevancy 33.11%

Hey Guys I am needing to build a new computer even my main one is getting long in the tooth I mostly do photoshop non-commercial and Recommendations for MB/CPU rendering encoding movies from cable Recommendations for MB/CPU and music videos from the net to DVD for personal use I have been running into audio video sync problems with my system An Athlon X on a Recommendations for MB/CPU Gigabyte GA-M VME-S MB two Gs mem Nvidia GForce WinXP Pro SP Reading on the various sites I get conflicting opinions on what is most important for rendering encoding Some say CPU speed is most important some say number of cores is most important certain and amount of memory SSDs and fastest graphics cards are necessary you must use Intel CPU not AMD it goes on and on I THINK two SATA HDDS should work fine Recommendations for MB/CPU Right And for the actual rendering and encoding a medium quality graphics card should be fine Right I would like to stay with WinXP Pro because I like it However I do agree that a lot of memory would be helpful so I am willing to go to a bit OS Starting out though I might just use Linux to keep from having to pay or so for Windows or whatever That being said GBs of memory should be fine Right Mother Board and CPU I can get a Gigabyte F A M-D H MB w DDR Mem Slots Max Gbs and USB and SATA CPU AMD APU A - K which is four - cores a Radeon D GPU core on chip all for around near my limit What do you think about my MB CPU choice Would you recommend something different in roughly the same price range Thanks Dean nbsp
Relevancy 33.11%

Alright guys i currently hav a Intel Pentium 4, 3200 MHz (16 x 200) processor but its runnin at about 50 degrees celcius. Its currently got Arctic supersilent 4pro L installed on it. Any1 got any recommendations for a cpu cooler that i can get better results from? Any feedback would be appreciated

Read the link below. Hope it gets u the best possible cooler for u processor.
Relevancy 33.11%

Im running on a tight budget, but im trying to build a nice computer thatll play games [the most graphical it would get it Oblivion at medium settings].

Only problem is I wont have enough money to get that graphics card for awhile, and I want to get this computer up ASAP.

So what would be a good graphics card [PCI or PCI-e It doesnt matter to me] that would allow me to play older games [The most graphcis intense is Morrowind].

I'm willing to spend $20-$40 on it

Thanks, Aj

How old of a game?
Relevancy 33.11%

Hi. I have a Dell XPS T450 with a 13.6G hard drive and 256 ram.
I am looking to purchase an additional internal hard drive to use as data storage (not sure that I want to go through the trouble of reformatting and reinstalling everything), additional memory and a wireless router. So I have these questions:

Hard Drives:
1. How large of a HD should I invest in?
2. How do I know what to get i.e. interface, rotational speed and of course manufacturer?

1. Size, Speed, Technology, and manuf.?

1. Can I use wireless for my laptop with wireless card and desktop without?
2. Recommended manuf. (Netgear??)

I realize there are alot of questions but I would appreciate any feedback as I am clueless in regards to these details.

Relevancy 33.11%

Can anyone recommend a good fan? I want to keep my processor running like a charm. How do I know if it is compatible with my computer?

Relevancy 33.11%

My system's OS is Win98, I have 384 RAM and a 1.4Ghz Intel Celeron.

It came with a Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1202.

I have 5 externally accessable bays, (2) 5.25 inch and (3) 3.5 inch

I have currently installed a floppy drive, the above mentioned DVD-ROM drive and a Zip drive.

I obviously need CD-ROM capability, but I have never used the DVD capability, so I would like to install a RW drive.

Would this forum suggest replacing the existing DVD-ROM drive or adding a new RW drive as I appear to have the space?

Any recommedations as to manufacturer?
Any other issues I should consider?

I see much activity in this forum about problems with recognition, jumpers etc., and I would like to make this new instillation as smooth as possible.

I would very much appreciate and comments/recommendations.

Thanks a lot.

Relevancy 33.11%

I'm building a home theater system and will be incorporating Windows Media Center. I am looking for a Tuner for the system. I will be playing MP3's and DVD movies.

I have a pair of middle of the road stereo speakers that I will incorporate into the system if possible.

Any recomendations would be appreciated. My price range is ~300-400 dollars US.

Relevancy 33.11%

Okay....I have had 2 different iPaq's over the last 3 years. Had many problems, touch screen stops working, unit formats itself, batteries dont last etc.etc. I am in need of another PDA. I really do not want to sink anymore money into HP or Compaq PDA's. And against my better judgement of buying Dell products. I cant but help look at the Dell x51v. Does anyone here use any of the Dell PDA's or presently have the x51v? Dell doesnt make this unit themselves do they...if so who does.

If so can you tell me what you think of it? Likes dis-likes etc. Or can someone recommend something else.

EDIT: Nobody here using a PDA?

A:PDA recommendations?

Relevancy 33.11%

Well I m GPU Recommendations planning to purchase a new GPU to go with my new PC build that would be less than It would have to run Crysis on low settings at least and should be fine with HD- does anyone have any recommendations for a GPU that would suit my requirements under Also in a few months I m upgrading my CPU RAM and motherboard and would like to know what the best hardware is for around I m thinking of an i and a mid-range motherboard with at least GB RAM I currently have a laptop with first-gen i GB RAM HD and GB SSD which is starting to struggle with modern titles apparently the i Ivybridge surpasses the first-gen i s by around - times and the GPU would also need to match or exceed the performance of the HD which is MHZ core and MHZ memory which today s GPUs outnumber greatly A GeForce GTX that I m looking at has GHZ core and GHZ memory which does surpass the Recommendations -- Current PC Desktop Intel Desktop Board D GX sub- GB DDR email protected GB OCZ SSD Recently upgraded CIT Reaper Case Upgraded Yesterday W PSU nbsp
Relevancy 33.11%

I m looking to upgrade my graphics card and I was recommendations? Any GC wondering if you folks had any Any GC recommendations? suggestions To save time I ll include my DXDiag Any GC recommendations? since I have no idea about how these things work I ve installed a couple of bits of hardware in an educational environment but this ll be my first time installing an important component unless you count an additional fan on an old PC important I m looking to spend maybe - so I m not how much of an upgrade I can afford - since most of the IT shops around mine are closing down if anyone could recommend a website to purchase from aswell I d be extremely appreciative Thanks in advance Dan DXDiag ------------------ System Information ------------------ Time of this report Machine name JAYDAN Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium Build Service Pack vistasp gdr - Language English Regional Setting English System Manufacturer Dell Inc System Model Inspiron BIOS oC Phoenix - AwardBIOSTeDell System v PG Processor AMD Athlon tm X Dual Core Processor CPUs GHz Memory MB RAM Page File MB used MB available Windows Dir C Windows DirectX Version DirectX DX Setup Parameters Not found DxDiag Version bit Unicode ------------ DxDiag Notes ------------ Display Tab No problems found Sound Tab No problems found Sound Tab No problems found Input Tab No problems found -------------------- DirectX Debug Levels -------------------- Direct D retail DirectDraw retail DirectInput retail DirectMusic retail DirectPlay retail DirectSound retail DirectShow retail --------------- Display Devices --------------- Card name ATI Radeon HD XT Manufacturer ATI Technologies Inc Chip type ATI Radeon Graphics Processor x DAC type Internal DAC MHz Device Key Enum PCI VEN amp DEV amp SUBSYS amp REV Display Memory MB Dedicated Memory MB Shared Memory MB Current Mode x bit Hz Monitor Dell SE WFP Digital Driver Name atiumdag dll atiumdva dat atitmmxx dll Driver Version English DDI Version Driver Attributes Final Retail Driver Date Size bytes WHQL Logo d Yes WHQL Date Stamp Device Identifier D B EE -D C - CF- D - A C CA Vendor ID x Device ID x SubSys ID x Revision ID x Revision ID x Video Accel ModeMPEG A ModeMPEG C Deinterlace Caps E FF-B - B-BCF -BCB E F Format In Out YUY YUY Frames Prev Fwd Back Caps VideoProcess YUV RGB VideoProcess StretchX VideoProcess StretchY DeinterlaceTech PixelAdaptive AA E- - A - C - F FAF E E Format In Out YUY YUY Frames Prev Fwd Back Caps VideoProcess YUV RGB VideoProcess StretchX VideoProcess StretchY DeinterlaceTech BOBVerticalStretch A A C -C EC- BD - EDE-F C DC B Format In Out YUY YUY Frames Prev Fwd Back Caps VideoProcess YUV RGB VideoProcess StretchX VideoProcess StretchY E FF-B - B-BCF -BCB E F Format In Out UYVY UYVY Frames Prev Fwd Back Caps VideoProcess YUV RGB VideoProcess StretchX VideoProcess StretchY DeinterlaceTech PixelAdaptive AA E- - A - C - F FAF E E Format In Out UYVY UYVY Frames Prev Fwd Back Caps VideoProcess YUV RGB VideoProcess StretchX VideoProcess StretchY DeinterlaceTech BOBVerticalStretch A A C -C EC- BD - EDE-F C DC B Format In Out UYVY UYVY Frames Prev Fwd Back Caps VideoProcess YUV RGB VideoProcess StretchX VideoProcess StretchY C C - FB - F - - BF EE D Format In Out NV x e Frames Prev Fwd Back Caps VideoProcess YUV RGB VideoProcess StretchX VideoProcess StretchY DeinterlaceTech PixelAdaptive C DAD-CCBC- B- C - CF F A Format In Out NV x e Frames Prev Fwd Back Caps VideoProcess YUV RGB VideoProcess StretchX VideoProcess StretchY DeinterlaceTech PixelAdaptive E FF-B - B-BCF -BCB E F Format In Out NV x e Frames Prev Fwd Back Caps VideoProcess YUV RGB VideoProcess StretchX VideoProcess StretchY DeinterlaceTech PixelAdaptive AA E- - A - C - F FAF E E Format In Out NV x e Frames Prev Fwd Back Caps VideoProcess YUV RGB VideoProcess StretchX VideoProcess StretchY DeinterlaceTech BOBVerticalStretch A A C -C EC- BD - EDE-F C DC B Format In Out NV x e Frames Prev Fwd Back Caps VideoProcess YUV RGB VideoProcess StretchX Video... Read more

Relevancy 33.11%

Hi... My last PSU blew up and now I'm looking for a replacement. I was wondering if Enermax is a good brand. I've heard good things from Antec but those are quite expansive so I'll only consider it if all other brands are completely worthless...

Anyway, I've found the model EG 425p VE "Noise Taker" (420W) to be of reasonable price and within my budget... Does anyone know if that's a good one?

Also of point, my PSU before this also went up in flames (literally). Am I doing something wrong? The tower has plenty of ventilation and I don't over clock my PC... Why do PSU tend to explode in my presence? Do I have some sort of super power that can destroy PSUs?

System Specs:
Gigabyte K8NF-9
AMD 3500+ (939)
OCZ PC3200 512 x 2
WD SATA 120Gig

Relevancy 33.11%

Dell recommended two Kingston 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 266 (PC 2100) for my system, but wanted to ask the TSG community if there was any ups or downs to Kingston or the other brands. I don't have any knowledge on how the different brands compare. Would it be cheaper to not buy over the internet but go get some memory from a retail store. Where? Best Buy? Walmart? Does Walmart even carry memory?

Relevancy 33.11%

Hello all,

I've decided to build my own PC over the summer but I've ground to a halt with these two. I've found processor, mobo, RAM etc. and I'm down to the last few thing: the PSU. I've read a few issues of PC Format magazine but it didn't really enlighten me about it.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what PSU to get? I'm looking for a 750W PSU in the region of about ?70 ($115 for my friends over the pond). I would prefer to have a modular one, but it's not essential.

The best one I've found has been this: OCZ ZT Series 750W Modular PSU |

But it's a little pricey

Thanks in advance,

A:PSU Recommendations

PSU requirements depend on the components.

List them up, and i can answer you better, but unless you are running dual gpu's, 750W isn't needed. Even a nvidia 580/680 gpu can be done easily on 600->650W

Oh.. if you get a non modular psu, itll be abit cheaper. Just remember though, always go quality as if your psu fails, it can blow EVERYTHING else.
or if you need modular

Basically i'm saying don't cheap out on a psu... plus they outlast all other components.
Relevancy 33.11%

last month i decided to take my feet and dip them in the pool of ssd's i picked up a gb ssd to try with my system and see how it went all in all i'm sooo happy i'm changing up to either a gb or a gb drive next month and recommendations ssd moving the gb ssd to my netbook i've been looking around and given the prices are ssd recommendations falling i keep ssd recommendations having those thoughts of just wait ssd recommendations a wee bit longer and hope they drop further but you know i just want to get it now i've checked toms hardware and anandtech for reviews but those are benchmark reviews i'm interested in real world reviews from peeps i've had a look at ozc corsair kingston hyp x sandisk extreme intel samsung so many choices make choosing one difficult questions come up like what is the best controller right now and so forth making choices a pain in the butt so drop a mini review of an ssd and help me decide which one to get not fussed about the cost more interested in pure performance and life expectancy thanks gazz

A:ssd recommendations

From your list, I'd go with Samsung, Intel, or Kingston. I'd also consider Crucial. The Kingston drives are often available at lower prices.

I'd say no to OCZ.

If you did not know which brand you had, it's not likely you could tell the difference.

My considerations would be reliability, support, price, and return privileges with the retailer. I'd put those 4 things above "performance" or whatever benchmark you might find.

I've never heard anything significant about variations in "life expectancy". My Intel is 18 months old, with over 2 Terabytes of writes, and is still rated as having 100% of it's useful life remaining.

This might be worth a read:

Components returns rates (6) (page 7: SSDs) - BeHardware

It's info on return rates of various SSD brands from a large Internet retailer.
Relevancy 33.11%

Hi guys, I've been thinking about upgrading my graphics card as I've been experiencing some less-than-great FPS in newer games, and I'm starting to notice the lack of DX11. I play pretty much anything I can get my hands on, but currently The Witcher 2 and Black Ops.
The card I have now is Radeon HD4870 1024MB.

I have a relatively new PSU at 850W(Overkill, I know ) I'm not sure about the brand but I guess I can open it up if you need to know.

Manufacturer: ASUS
Model: P5Q-Pro
PCI-Express, x16

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz

So, I've been looking at possibly getting the Radeon 6950, or do you have some other suggestions? How does the different manufacturers compare i.e. XFX vs Sapphire?
Also, how will my CPU and Mobo hold up, or would I be better off replacing them?

Big thanks in advance!

A:Recommendations for new GPU

Get what ever your budget can handle. You don't mention what your version of Windows is
Relevancy 33.11%

ive been using my inspire 5100 5.1 surround for about 7 years & want to replace them. I had a glance at gigaworks g500 & decided against them coz i dont want to skyrocket my electricity bill.

I was thinking of going for Creative Inspire 7.1 T7900 but at the moment im not sure i have enough room for 2 other speakers. If i bought these & decided not to plug the side speakers in would it work as 5.1?

A:5.1/7.1 recommendations??

Hi fieseler,

Yes, that should be possible. You should be able to configure the audio output so that it can operate in 2 channel mode for stereo speaker output, 4 channel mode for 4 speaker output, 6 channel mode for 5.1 speaker output and 8 channel mode for 7.1 speaker output. Note that it will only work correctly in a specific mode if you set it to that mode.
Relevancy 33.11%

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Ultimate Service Pack bit Processor Intel R Core TM Quad CPU Q GHz Intel Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce GTS Mb Hard PSU recommendations? Drives C Total - MB Free - MB D Total - MB Free - MB E Total - MB Free - MB F Total - MB Free - MB G Total - PSU recommendations? MB Free - MB Motherboard ASRock P DE Antivirus Microsoft Security Essentials Updated and Enabled I am currently running the system above with a w Corsair PSU but I think I am draining all the juice out of it with the amount of hard drives I have installed and USB devices also and the graphics card etc The system is pretty unstable with constant freezing of the mouse and keyboard random sudden reboots or the monitor goes to black and comes back on a few moments later I also hear a bit of a slow down of which sounds like the PSU s fans also PSU recommendations? every now and again I am wondering what wattage and type of PSU I should be looking at for my setup I use the system for gaming nbsp

A:PSU recommendations?

A 650 W pw supply is more than enough for your system [as long as it is working correctly]
Post your temps and voltages; specifically the cpu temp, system temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values. This info should be available in the bios.
Relevancy 33.11%

So I have been using Avast for almost years now but here in the past years or so they seem to have fallen way behind My information is less secure my card info has been stolen multiple times and it is clearly via pc use because the information is being used overseas and I live in a town so small that organized crime skimming and selling lists just doesnt exist here I am looking for recommendations for a new Anti-Virus I have heard good things about avira and bitdefender What I really want is something that can do scheduled custom scans root-kit and boot-time scans and also updates automatically Heuristics and firewall are a must so those will need to be included Also the ability to remove PUP s Malware and Bloatware would be Av Recommendations preferred Free is not a selling point for me I am not concerned about a price tag I am looking for performance improvements only and I am willing to pay for them if that is what is required So anyone have Av Recommendations any recommendations based on that nbsp
Relevancy 33.11%

I'm looking for some software that will allow me to print just the area's of a web page I need to print, instead of all of it. I'm thinking of recipes in particular. Quite often,when you go to print preview, it will say one page, but when you print it, it might say printing 1 of 2. Page 2 comes out with just the web address at the top, which is a waste. Any advice?

I looked it up for you!!
Relevancy 33.11%

hey guys i have a question:

what is your recommendation on an intel cpu?
can u give me a price range? (for normal average person use)?
can u give me full details?
like the GHz, and all that?

i dont want to buy, im just doing some research and i want to know a recommendation for 1 single particular model.

note: i want it to be intel.
thank you

Relevancy 33.11%

My computer has been very slow, my connection lately has been slow, and when I play games it's even worse. My Video Card apparently stopped responding a few times, but recovered itself. I believe I have a fast computer that's either being attacked or being slowed by some malfunction. Yesterday I got blue screened 3 times while opening videos.

So I'd like to identify the problem, fix it, and keep it that way. I can provide any extra information and will be waiting on a response. Thanks team!

Please download MalwareBytes Anti-Malware to your desktop.1.Ensure that your computer is connected to the internet and your software firewall is disabled until instructed to re-enable it.2.Double click on the mbam-setup.exe to begin the installation process.3.When the installation begins, please do not change any of the settings and follow the prompts.4.Please make sure that when you finish the installation, these options remain checked;5. *Update MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware6. *Launch MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware7.You may now click finish...8.When MBAM launches, you will be prompted to update before running a scan. If an update is found, MBAM will automatically download and apply the updates and you can then click 'OK' button to close the box and continue. You may now re-enable your firewall9.Please ensure that while you are on the scanner tab the 'Perform Quick Scan' option is selected, then click the 'Scan' button.10.If you are asked which drives to scan, please leave all of them ticked, and click 'Start Scan'.11.The scan will now begin and you will see ?Scan in progress? at the top; It may take a while to complete so please be patient.12.When the scan completes, you will see ?The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found?13.Click the 'OK' button to close the box and continue with the removal process.14.Back on the main scanner screen, click 'Show Results' to see a list of any found Malware.15.Ensure that all items are checked and then click the 'Remove Selected' button.16.When the removal process is complete, a log will open in notepad; this log will be automatically saved and you can view it in the logs section of the program.17.Copy and paste the contents of the log file that is open into your next reply and exit MBAM.Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the Malware. MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes, they may alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please permit the program to allow the changes.
Relevancy 33.11%

Can anyone please recommend a good free antivirus protection? I need it for my son's laptop..he has a Gateway laptop with windows 7?

Thanks in advance for any info you may have

Welcome to SF. I would suggest:

Microsoft Security Essentials and then the free version of Malwarebytes.
Relevancy 33.11%

I am getting a new DVD-ROM. Anyone know where I can get a good quality 16X drive or faster for a good price ($0-$50?).
Relevancy 33.11%

Well, I'm using NOD32 Trial which is the Firewall/Anti-Spam/Anti-Virus.

I recently looked at a topic where they were compared, and BAM, NOD32 Falls in the 0% category. I see that Comodo is the best one.

I need the ULTIMATE Firewall/AntiVirus/Spyware collection.

Must be FREE [no trials]
Protect against harmful threats

If you would, I'd like the bundle package like NOD32, but if that's not the case, I'm willing to get three/two seperate softwares.

Anti-Virus/Firewall and Anti-Spyware
Anti-Virus and Firewall/Anti-Spyware
Anti-Spyware/Anti-Virus and Firewall
Anti-Spyware and Anti-Virus and Firewall [All seperate]

Thanks for the help.

I'll need the name of the software, and the website.

Note: Some websites, for some odd reason, do not work on any of my web browsers. So I may need a link from, or one of those websites.

A:Any Recommendations?

Comodo Firewall + AVG Free / Avast! Home Edition + SuperAntiSpyware / Spyware Terminator / Windows Defender
Relevancy 33.11%

Looking to buy some new DVD Drives that are SATA made by any company besides LG. Have worked with LG for sometime and I am quite satisfied. Looking into maybe Pioneer or Samsung depending on models that are suggested.

Also, need some help deciding as I am unsure what to do:

Currently I have a 512MB Sapphire Radeon 2600XT BNIB that I want to use for photo editing, watching movies, hopefully go into video recording (making tutorials etc..).

My question, should I upgrade or stick with the card I have right now? If upgrade, then to what? 3870?

All help appreciated!!

Relevancy 33.11%

Recommendation for New Rig!

Hello Guys,

I might be building my own new around rig end of this year. Well the budget
is Brunei Dollars $2000 (US$1063). The Rig will be used for a little bit of
gaming mainly sports & racing simulation, student work, listening
to mp3s. First of all, I need some recommendations for the components &
other pheriperals before that i can start price watching! I prefer purcahsing faster components
instead of spending on a fast CPU.

Motherboard: Is a ASUS K7V266E or a n-Force Chipset Mobo adequate?

CPU(AMD): Duron or XP or MP?

CPU FAN: I have no knowledge about this!!

DDR RAM: Crucial or Samsung or Kingston?

Sound Card: SB Live! Platinum? (Santa Cruz is not available in the Singaporean Market!!)

Hard Drive: Maxtor or Western Digital or Seagate or IBM?

3D Card:

Casing, PSU: Probably Lian-Li Brand

CD Writter: any ideas?

A:Need recommendations for my new AMD rig!

- You don't want MP. It's tailored for servers - multiple CPU's

-XP may be too expensive. A 1.4 GHz Thunderbird maybe? Or an older Athlon?

-Durons only have 64kb of L2 cache, e.g. - they're good for gaming! but for office applications, they stink.

-You want a good fan if you want your CPU to last long. Perhaps one from ThermalTake, Alpha or TaiSol.

-As for an n-Force, go for the A7N266. They're very good for onboard video (GeForce2) and sound (very powerful).

-No problems with Lian-Li cases. Very high quality.

-Hard Drive: Seagate's are the best hdd's available. Western Digital for price, but they still make good drives.

-If you're not going for an n-Force, I'd still go for the GeForce2 MX. Or a more powerful card, but definitely not anything below that.

-DDR SDRAM: OCZ isn't available in the Singapore market, so try Crucial. 256 MB is great for what you're doing, but if you want go ahead and go 512.

-CD Writer: Do you want fast or do you want cheap? Maybe a 16x-20x burner from Yamaha, Plextor, or maybe even HP.

-Speakers...Cambridge Soundworks? Logitech? Not Klipsch, they're very high performance, for the price...
Relevancy 33.11%

I need an upgrade to my current system especially since I got a few dollars to burn recommendations? SSD Right now I m running a couple of old Corsair Novas in RAID and I m looking to replace them with a couple of GB SSDs Again with RAID I only keep non-important data on my SSDs so having no redundancy is of no issue I have multiple external storage solutions for anything of value I m looking for a pair of SSDs with good steady performance And hopefully without any BSOD issues My current system has yet to fail me even though my other SSDs in other systems have failed no longer recognized SSD recommendations? in BIOS even I was thinking of the Vertex and then further reading the M was said to trump the Vertex especially if RAID is being considered Performance wise the M isn SSD recommendations? t really grabbing my attention though Also bear in mind that my DFI MI P is only SATA Will the bandwidth on that be saturated by any SATA drive Will listen to all suggestions Will take suggestions with accompanying explanations much more seriously edit My old drives performance was documented here Their performance should have gone down a little by now nbsp

A:SSD recommendations?

Why are you running RAID 0? I think a 256GB single drive would be better. With RAID 0 you gain sequential speed but lose TRIM and have increased risk of failure from the drives themselves and the RAID controller. Random performance doesn't increase with RAID 0 so unless you really need the sequential speeds I don't see the point.

I would avoid the OCZ and Sandforce SSDs because of questionable track records, best ones are the Crucial m4 or Plextor M3 (both Marvell controller) and Samsung 830 which is probably the best one out there.
Relevancy 33.11%

I'm looking to spend b/w 500-600 bucks on a laptop, I will use it for word processing, internet, basic functions. Any recommendations? Is Toshiba one of the best brands (i.e. Toshiba Satellites?)

Used to be ...these days I would suggest HP and not at a store...go to for best deals!
Relevancy 33.11%

I am about to build a new rig, mainly because my best friend just upgraded and his is now a little faster than mine

His rig is 1900+ and 1536MB PC2700 DDR.

I want to know what you all think on CPU and mobo, I want to use more RAM than I currently have (1536MB pc2100 DDR)

Price isn't much of a concern but I'd like to keep it under $2000 if possible. The boss(my wife) doesn't want me to spend more than that and the couch is really uncomfortable.

Oh, here is what I'm thinking on

RAM?(Crucial probably)
SB Audigy Platinum
GF4 ti4600(not sure which manufacturer yet)
2x 100BG Maxtor HDD
CDRW(not sure probably Lite-On)
DVD(not sure, thinking on a DVDRW)
21" Monitor(probably Sceptre)

A:rig recommendations?

For us to 'build' you a new rig, we're gonna need to know what your gonna use it for! Gaming? Video Editing? What kind of internet connection do you have? (Broadband/Dialup)

What in the...why would u need a cdrw AND a dvdrw? Get a DVD Rom, and a DVDRW so that you can copy dvds if youd like. Of course they would be home video dvds or ones that you owned. What do you favor? Pentium or AMD, that's really what it comes down to. In this thread here they talk about the chips and some of the motherboards. I would suggest an ABIT board as that is what i have and i'm very pleased with it.

512mb of ram is a good number, but if you need to compensate for something you may need to go bigger. :grinthumb Just kidding you of course.
Relevancy 33.11%

I am helping a friend of mine build a PC from scratch recommendations PSU My friend is a session musician He is therefore flat broke Obviously the condition is that he would spend as little money as possible on the build My brother and I have supplied him with just about every part he needs -- from the CPU to the mobo to the video card keyboard and mouse All of the said parts are PSU recommendations in working condition My friend has not had to spend a single cent thus far Here are the hodgepodge components we ve gathered OS Windows Home Premium CPU Intel Core i w CM Hyper Mobo Asus P P D Deluxe RAM gb Corsair XMS CL GPU Zotac Eco GTS Chassis CM Hard Drive gb WD Caviar Blue Can you recommend a reliable but not too expensive PSU for the above described build I m not sure how much my friend can spare but do fire away with the suggestions We ll cross that bridge when we get there My friend is neither a gamer nor a technology enthusiast He will be using the machine to surf the internet and send the occasional e-mail I suspect he will be visiting a few porn sites as well Thanks in advance for your help nbsp

A:PSU recommendations

For that setup a good 400w+ PSU would be recomended.

Here are some recomendations:
SeaSonic S12II 430B 430W = $60
PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III 400W = $70 - $20 rebate = $50
PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III 500W = $80 - $20 rebate = $60

If you're on a really thight buget this one is decent but not as good as the others listed:
Antec VP-450 450W = $35

Antec, Enermax, Corsair (except for Builder Series), FSP, PC Power & Cooling, and SeaSonic would be the brands to look for.
Relevancy 32.68%

Hello Peoples I Tablet? Recommendations on have an old iPad GB Wi-Fi Black rd Generation And the battery is very bad in it for the last years I am lucky if the battery lasts - hours while watching video I used to watch hours of Netflix or YouTube but not now a days I need help making a decision am I better off finding someone who can change the battery on my iPad By the way maybe someone could mention Recommendations on Tablet? some reputable retailers online who do this kind of service for an affordable price please do so I heard it probably costs about I guess my question is is it worth it to fix my iPad or get myself a new tablet Recommendations on Tablet? I was doing some research and found some choices maybe you guys can tell me if one is better than the other or maybe I didn t even find something that you guys know of I would prefer android but I m open to try Windows I just don t know how stable Windows is on the tablet Lenovo Tab A -Inch Samsung Galaxy Tab A SM-T NZWAXAR Lenovo Miix I want a tablet that has at least a dual core processor and a decent amount of RAM plus at least Gigs of storage with an SD card or whatever it s called expansion slot for up to gig I have a limit of about Because of my big hands I think a - in screen is appropriate Maybe there there are good ASUS tablet out there Thank you nbsp

Relevancy 32.68%

Hi All,

I've decided to upgrade my system from a PIII to a P4 (I don?t want an AMD so no telling me how I?m losing out).

My budget will be +-R3500(including vat) max for processor, memory (if new board requires DDR) and the motherboard.
I?m going to get a P4 2.4GHz 533Mhz FSB (R1499 ex vat from local vender) and it seems that most of the new boards use DDR memory so I?ll get 512 MB DDR (266 FSB Module 184-pin, R 479 ex vat from local vender).

What I?m asking for is recommendations for a motherboard to use with the above components. It seems that I?ll have about R1245 over just for the board.
I don?t require on-board sound nor on-board display card.

Many thx in adv

A:Any recommendations for a new Motherboard?

what kind of currency is (+-R)? And how much is that in dollars?
Relevancy 32.68%

Hi I want Recommendations for Upgrading to upgrade my power supply and graphics card but don t want to spend a fortune The current power is only w and I m aiming for at least w As for the graphics card I have a Nvidia GeForce LE video card For the next card I get I don t know whether to stick with Nvidia or switch to an ATI The price range I m willing to deal with is around for the power supply and for the graphics card So far I like the Antec TruePower Trio -Watt ATX CPU Power Supply and either the ATI Radeon X PRO or Nvidia Geforce GT or GS Also is there anythng else I Recommendations for Upgrading would need for cooling Much kudos to anyone who can Recommendations for Upgrading give me advice or tips And here are my comp s other specifications HP m n Windows XP Media Center Intel Core Duo GHz GB RAM DDR SDRAM GB hard drive Serial ATA nbsp

A:Recommendations for Upgrading

Antec TruePower will take care of itself for cooling and is a good choice.

As to video cards had some good bench tests for the Radeon X1950 PRO
Relevancy 32.68%

Anyone has any recommendations on what would best laptop be in the 1100-1400$ price range?

Should i go for macbook?

And any place where i could get one that works on 220Volts electricity?

A:Laptop recommendations

Depends on what you want to use the laptop for? Gaming, word processing, etc...? Can we assume that since you are asking if it can run on 220 volts that you live somewhere in Europe?
Relevancy 32.68%

Dear all,I hate my new acer laptop (worst keyboard ever made) and have narrowed my choice to the Lenovo Yoga X1. Your help in choosing options would be appreciated. I'd like to know if people thought it was worth it in terms of quality (ie scaling issues) and battery life to get the 1440p resolution versus the 1080p (the IPS version, not OLED) of 1440p. Is it worth it to get the OLED version if it can even be found (I can't even configure this on the web) I'd like to know if it is worth it to upgrade from the SATA to the NVMe hard drives in real life use I don't play games but mainly use web, citrix reciever, stock programs like thinkorswim thanks for your help Collin
Relevancy 32.68%

Hey Gang Can anyone out there recomment a decent not too expensive MP player program for use with a PC Recommendations? Re: MP3 Player I m thinking a Re: MP3 Player Recommendations? program that costs about bucks Re: MP3 Player Recommendations? something like that I saw a few at a local store but I have no idea which one is better worse etc I thought perhaps someone here could help me narrow down my search What I m looking for is a program that allows you to use playlists so that I can simply select a few songs to listen to while I m using my computer The program that came with my computer doesn t allow me to do that believe it or not I can only play one track at a time and I have to keep opening each track separately which is a real pain So a playlist would be good Also I d like something that allows me to convert tracks from CD to MP so that I can just store stuff to burn later And a program that somehow allows you to burn stuff from MP onto playable music CDs would be good too I ve heard of this where you can skip the process of converting the MP s to wavs and just burn the CDs directly and still be able to play them on a regular machine Perhaps I ve been mislead and such a thing doesn t exist Well if it does I d sure like to have that feature And lastly I d love a program that can quot normalize quot all the tracks on a CD to make them all the same sound level I ve heard of such a thing but once again know so little about it that I m not too sure it s something the average joe like me can find I guess that s about it Who knows maybe I m dreaming to think that all the features I ve indicated can be found in one program but man if there is such a program and it doesn t cost a zillion bucks I d like to get it That said if anyone out there has any recommendations I d really appreciate it I just have no idea where to start So I ve started how I usually start stuff like this- by coming here first Thanks in advance for any help Cheers Snaithbert nbsp

A:Re: MP3 Player Recommendations?

I use winamp for mp3's, allows playlists, etc

It's free
Relevancy 32.68%

I recently purchased a new Dell computer and should be receiving it in a couple of days. I am requesting any recommendations you may have to offer in security.

Relevancy 32.68%

Anyone have any hints, recommendation or suggestions about All in one multifuction printers

i am in the market for one and would like to gain from someone else experience

Relevancy 32.68%

This is not technically a "support" question, and I hope it doesn't break any rules! I'm looking to get a 17" monitor (I have a 14" - yes, those still exist) and I was wondering if I could get some recommendations on good quality brands....I know Sony Trinitrons are generally considered to be the best but I'm looking to go a little cheaper if possible. Also, if anyone has any opnions about the wisdom of buying factory recertified/refurbished monitors.......Any help is much appreciate!

A:monitor recommendations

I use ViewSonic monitors (almost all of them are 17") here at work and they're not expensive. I would do a couple of searches on the web regarding monitors for a price comparison. Your general run of the mill monitors really don't need to cost alot and refurbished will also work. I would check out the guarantee they would offer with that. Just my opinion and I hope it helps you a little.
Relevancy 32.68%

Hi everyone.. need some help here . I have project and I need some Information..

~Find out some security recommendations for workstations on the network to avoid the at max. the stealing of data or lose of data, avoid incoming of virus and others.~

i have some examples and some procedures that you should do to keep it saver.

this is just a example to explain you better what i'm looking for.

-Antivirus ( manual scan every 2 weeks)
- Spyware
- Disable Usb Ports( usb Sticks)
-Fire wall
- avoid p2p or instant messaging.

can anyone give me some more good points that i could write down. thank you very much for your help.

A:security recommendations

Hi are these points of any use?
Is your system configured to allow access to certain files only to those “who need to know” ?
Is it possible any past employees, suppliers or contractors may still have access to your systems ?
Are your firewalls, routers and other security devices properly configured and delivering the expected level of protection ?
Are all your main network and user passwords effective and changed regularly ?
Is your web site secure and protected from unauthorised tampering ?
Have your server systems and user workstations been kept up to date with security patches from Microsoft and other software vendors ?
Are your anti-virus, anti-spam and anti-malware applications effective and up to date ?
Have you had your IT system security checked in the last 6 months ?
Relevancy 32.68%

Hi, I'm going to buy some more RAM for my girlfriend's computer, but I have a question first. The RAM that came with the Gateway system is one 256MB C333/PC2700 DDR SDRAM stick. I'm either going to just buy another one to got to 512, or buy 2 sticks of 512 to get 1 gig of RAM.

Here's my question. Do I have to stick to 333/PC2700 or can I buy faster memory? Her system is a Gateway 310 series, with a celeron 2.40 Ghz.

I recently put together system with an ASUS P4PE motherboard, P4 3.2 processor, and 1 gig of RAM (Kingston ValueRAM 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200)) I've been very happy so far, so I was thinking of buying the same RAM for her machine, but I don't even know if it would be comptatible, or if it there would be any benefit considering it a slower machine. Please advise. Thank you.

Relevancy 32.68%

Getting and LCD for my wife's office--she uses the puter just for e-mail and web--no graphics of any signfiicance so I'm going to get one in the $200 to $300 range, 17 inch. Here's the choices at Newegg:

Any recommendations? I've always been partial to Viewsonic myself.

Relevancy 32.68%

I'm looking to streamline some company procedures, and would like to know if anyone can recommend a fax server for a small business.

Our service techs fax in their worksheets currently, so we end up with hard copies floating around the office. We're thinking that we can use a fax server to facilitate storing digital copies for better record keeping. I know small biz server 2003 has this capability, but I'm leary about installing a modem on my server (power surge more than security). And most of the server based apps cost more than I can justify spending.

So essentially what I'm looking for is a stand alone program for XP pro. Big plus if it can route traffic by the ID of the senders fax machine. Stability and a relatively simple user interface are also important.

Thanks for any recommendations.

Precision IT

A:Fax server recommendations

Ok,,,I'm looking for basically the same thing. I was using a client/server setup, but now most of our applications are web-based and we are going back to 5 workstations setup on a peer to peer network. All workstations are windows xp pro and we need to be able to share one fax modem to send and receive faxes. Any fax server software recommendations???
Relevancy 32.68%

I've always used my computer from across the room using my keyboard and mouse on a tray with my pc hooked too my 42 inch tv. At the moment I can hit 1080p but with a refresh rate of only 50. I'm hoping to upgrade to something that is easier to use at around 10 feet away. Hoping for something that can get me 60fps at least with a nicer resolution but I'm completely at a loss at finding something! Samsung would be nice as I could hook up to my mobile / tablet but not a must. Hoping someone could help me out as it would expect very much appreciated! Wouldn't like to spend much more than ?600 but I'd be willing to push! Thanks!
Relevancy 32.68%

Hello everyone First of all I m completely new to these forums so hello I m hoping someone out there can help me with the following problems It s a doozy and has completely gotten worse over the last few days Please read on My computer at home contracted a particularly nasty virus The computer initially ran slower than molasses probably from spyware adware virus so my wife and I have been attempting to fix this problem It was totally my fault as I Recommendations Needed went on a gaming website and it downloaded some content that s now choking the life out of the computer I recently attempted to Recommendations Needed install new virus protection Now the computer is telling me that the copy of Windows XP I have is an illegal copy which is NOT true it was legitimately bought and that I need to validate the copy My wife has the administrative privileges on the computer so I could only get so far this morning in fixing the problem Compounding problems are the anti virus program I installed is failing to initialize and sometimes Windows Explorer crashes and leaves me with just the background picture but no desktop whatsoever The CD rom drive still works albeit slowely takes forever to load the contents of a CD I am a complete newbie when Recommendations Needed it comes to these types of errors Recommendations Needed We have a lot of stuff on the computer that needs to be saved so a quot do or die quot reinstall won t be feasible as we don t want to lose everything we have on the computer I think my wife is ready to divorce me on the spot over this little quot problem quot I ve caused and I could use any suggestions or help anyone out there can give My goals are Speed the computer back up to operating potential Get rid of all the virus and spyware adware on it The problem is I m working with a lame duck operating system now that seems more unstable than ever before since I attempted to install new anti virus software Thanks for listening everyone If I don t fix this soon I might end up sleeping in the camper we have out in the door yard Steve nbsp

Relevancy 32.68%

Hi, I'm after a new printer to replace my Epson Stylus Photo 810.
My requirements:

Affordable, preferable separate cartridges for each colour

Fairly quick preinting times

For occasional use

Not to have a function like the Epsons head cleaning, which takes up too much ink

That preferably takes compatables without any problems

Any links/ advice/ recommendations greatly appreciated

A:Recommendations re: a new printer

Any recommendations?
Relevancy 32.68%

I ve got an HP Media Center PC and am using it for exactly that it sits in a cabinet of my entertainment center and is NOT hooked up to a monitor although one can be dragged out for setup purposes Now with that out of the PVR Software Recommendations? way I am looking for recommendations on PVR Software Recommendations? what is the best PVR software Currently I m using Media Center s built in thing and its crap it chokes on playback of even live tv at times PVR Software Recommendations? and is downright unwatchable at other times I ve used sagetv in the past on an older system but never with a remote and never as a standalone pvr Anyone have expierence using it like that What about with a cable box rather than changing channels on the computer itself I don t have a cable box right now but I m thinking about switching ISPs to a cable modem and in the package deal I have to use a cable box for TV Also what about GB-PVR Same question about the cable box Any other good ones that I m unaware of MythTV is sort of an option but last time I tried that on a different PC I couldn t get my PVR- to work nbsp

A:PVR Software Recommendations?

I'm evaluating ChrisTV myself (simply because it's the only PVR application I've found for XP x64).
Relevancy 32.68%

Hey Guys,
I'm looking to buy a new laptop in the near future,
I'd preferably like it to be 64 Bit with a good processor,
A Good Nvidia Graphics Card,
Not a Mac,
4 Gb Ram,
15'' + Screen,

Any recommendations?

Relevancy 32.68%

Hi Good Peoples,

I did a search on the Tips thread but could not find what I am looking for, so I hope someone has some suggestions please

I need an XML editor for occasional use, so ideally free wear is preferred but not 100% essential.

I would like something that works (or doesn't as the case may be ) like FrontPage in that you can see the code as well as the WYSIWYG product.
Relevancy 32.68%

Hi folks,

I'm considering building a new PC that will have a 150 GB fast drive for apps, and a TB drive for data.

With my current system, I've used a combination of Argentum Backup and Acronis TrueImage to back up my files to an external hard drive, but I'm curious as to what a good recommended approach would be to regularly back up my machine and really, really be in a safe position?