Windows Support Forum

Toshiba external USB hard drive not detected in any laptop

Q: Toshiba external USB hard drive not detected in any laptop

Hi Frnds

I hav a Toshiba 1 TB external HDD. It was working fyn till today. Now it is not showing in My Computer or Disk Management. It does make the sound when I connect or disconnect it from the laptop. and the HDD light remains on.

Please advise how to fix this

Thanks

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Toshiba external USB hard drive not detected in any laptop

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Toshiba external USB hard drive not detected in any laptop

Go under the Device Manager and uninstall all the USB Controllers then reboot your PC don't connect the 1 TB just yet. Make sure nothing is connect to those ports like a keyboard or mouse otherwise they'll lockup. Once rebooted Windows will rebuild the table for USB Controllers. Now you should be all set. Unless you have some sort of conflict with IRQ or Registry setting. There is a free app called USBDVIEW what you would do is disconnect from all non-disconnected USB devices that are stored on the PC these settings can cause all sort of issues.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/toshiba-external-usb-hard-drive-not-detected-in-any-laptop.173740/
Relevancy 93.31%

My sister's hard drive was going out, so i decided to buy her a new one. I also got an external enclosure to put the old one it. I installed the new one, and got windows to starting up, then I left. Well, she is now saying the 2.5" external enclosure will not fit her hard drive.

The hard drive in the enclosure is a hitachi 60gig, not sure of the model number. The hard drive in the computer is a 250gig that i bought from circuit city, where the enclosure is from also.

Are there special connections for this? It doesn't make sense that it would take a normal drive to replace the old one, but not be able to use a normal enclosure.

A:Toshiba Laptop internal hard drive being used as an external

Did you buy the correct enclosure to fit the drive?
Pata or Sata?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/toshiba-laptop-internal-hard-drive-being-used-as-an-external.674412/
Relevancy 92.45%

Hi
my 500GB WD Passport is not being detected by my laptop when plugged in (by USB). A LED at the side of the external hard drive indicates that it is being powered on even though the computer shows no sign of detection (no sound indication; nothing showing up in My Computer)
I can feel the drive motor start up.(the vibration).
my machine's BIOS detect the drive. but I can't see it in device manager.
my machine use other devices properly.
and I checked my drive in 2 other laptops( both was windows 7) and both failed to detect my WD Passport.
could anyone help me?
thanks

A:my external hard drive (WD my passport) not detected on my laptop

Hello nhaghjoo and welcome to Seven Forums.

It's possible that your external hard drive doesn't have a drive letter assigned. If you could post a screenshot of Disk Management it might provide a clue as to what's happening.

Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/287021-my-external-hard-drive-wd-my-passport-not-detected-my-laptop.html
Relevancy 92.45%

hi, I have a Toshiba store art 3.5 (I think) that can connect to my old pc running windows 7 just fine but it can not connect to my brand new Dell laptop (can see it in in device manager but not open it in any way I've tried to). I need my external to save my files from my laptop on and a new one is out of the question. also formatting the external drive should only be a LAST resort!!

if you do have a solution please explain in detail as far as you can? Computer stuff can be a bit confusing to me sometimes...

because I can see it in device manager on my laptop I updated drivers but it only said that the best drivers where already installed.

ask for any other info needed, and if necessary explain how to get it please.

A:Toshiba (store art 3.5) external hard drive not recognized by laptop?

make sure that the device is not blocked by checking the properties of it in device manager

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/toshiba-store-art-3-5-external-hard-drive-not-recognized-by-laptop.1006985/
Relevancy 81.7%

Hi everyone

I recently plunged my Toshiba 500GB hard drive in my DTH (cable set up box) as a USB in an attempt to record a TV program.
Whilst in the process I clicked on it to be formatted by mistake. Now when i plug my hard disk to my laptop (Lenovo Windows 8) there is a sound acknowledging its recognition but there is no folder that I see in 'my computer'.

Is all my data erased?
Do I need to reformat it? Is there something I could do to undo the entire act?

Thanks

A:Toshiba hard drive not being detected in computer

It's quite possible its gone because the cable box may have reformatted it to a different format which would be why windows can't see it....can you open control panel >administratice tools>disk management> see if its listed there.....make sure to have it attached to comp when you do this

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/toshiba-hard-drive-not-being-detected-in-computer.1161637/
Relevancy 80.84%

Hi I have had my Toshiba Satellite Pro P D- P for years now and have had a recurring problem If I shut it down for any reason I then cannot reboot it thereafter sometimes for several hours and at worst for several days In BIOS under Main it has None under the Hard Disk title If I try and boot it up I get the error For Realtek RTL E E Fast Ethernet Network Adapter v PXE-E Media detected hard Pro: Toshiba Satellite No drive BIOS by test failure check cable PXE-M F Exiting PXE ROM I assume this is due to no hard drive being found in the boot sequence and LAN being used I have updated the version of BIOS to v and have tried removing each of Toshiba Satellite Pro: No hard drive detected by BIOS the GB RAM to check if its due to bad RAM but that has not helped the issue I have removed and replaced the hard drive to ensure it is seated properly but that has not improved the problem I would greatly appreciate any help anyone can give Thank you nbsp

A:Toshiba Satellite Pro: No hard drive detected by BIOS

If I try and boot it up I get the error; 'For Realtek RTL8100E/8101E Fast Ethernet Network Adapter v1.02 (060529). PXE-E61: 'Media test failure, check cable. PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.' I assume this is due to no hard drive being found in the boot sequence and LAN being used.Click to expand...

I would say thats correct

Sounds like a faulty harddrive as its not being seen at all

http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/toshiba-satellite-p205/removing-motherboard-1.htm
http://www.bixnet.com/toshiba2.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/toshiba-satellite-pro-no-hard-drive-detected-by-bios.967823/
Relevancy 79.98%

I've received both the "Windows detected a hard drive problem" AND Toshiba hdd/ssd Alert.  Both are saying my hard drive is doomed.  I was ready to just buy a new hd, but my professor mentioned that I might be infected with a root kit, and not to race out and buy one just yet.  Malwarebytes is clean. Avast is clean. I ran error check-checking..all clean. I ready to learn guys. What do you think? Am I infected? BTW..how do I add an image to my post? 

Thanks in advance,
Annette

A:Windows detected a hard drive problem, AND Toshiba hdd/ssd Alert

Welcome aboard

Is the computer bootable at all?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/499301/windows-detected-a-hard-drive-problem-and-toshiba-hddssd-alert/
Relevancy 79.98%

Greetings oh Guru's of computer wisdom I've worked with Broni Alert Windows hdd/ssd AND Toshiba problem, hard detected a drive to solve this issue Below is a link to our previous conversation and the entirety of all logs requested My computer keeps promising the hard drive is failing and yet it doesn't This has been going on for over a month now I get the nasty pop up reminders from Windows and Toshiba hdd ssd at least twice an hour Any help is greatly appreciated http www bleepingcomputer com forums t windows-detected-a-hard-drive-problem-and-toshiba-hddssd-alert entry Bleeping Computer Logs Results of screen 's Security Check version Windows Service Pack x UAC is enabled Internet Explorer Antivirus Firewall Check Windows Firewall Enabled avast Antivirus Microsoft Security Essentials Antivirus up to date On Access scanning disabled Anti-malware Other Utilities Check Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version Java Update Java Update Adobe Flash Windows detected a hard drive problem, AND Toshiba hdd/ssd Alert Player Adobe Reader Adobe Reader out of Date Google Chrome Google Chrome Process Check objlist exe by Laurent Microsoft Security Essentials MSMpEng exe AVAST Software Avast AvastSvc exe AVAST Software Avast AvastUI exe System Health check span Total Fragmentation on Drive C End of Log span span span span p Farbar Service Scanner Version - - Ran by Annettes administrator on - - at Running from C Users Annettes Downloads Microsoft Windows Home Premium Service Pack X Boot Mode Normal Internet Services Connection Status Localhost is accessible LAN connected Google IP is accessible Google com is accessible Yahoo com is accessible Windows Firewall Firewall Disabled Policy System Restore System Restore Disabled Policy Action Center Windows Update Windows Autoupdate Disabled Policy Windows Defender WinDefend Service is not running Checking service configuration The start type of WinDefend service is set to Demand The default start type is Auto The ImagePath of WinDefend service is OK The ServiceDll of WinDefend service is OK Windows Defender Disabled Policy HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows Defender DisableAntiSpyware DWORD Other Services File Check C Windows System nsisvc dll gt MD is legitC Windows System drivers nsiproxy sys gt MD is legitC Windows System dhcpcore dll gt MD is legitC Windows System drivers afd sys gt MD is legitC Windows System drivers tdx sys gt MD is legitC Windows System Drivers tcpip sys gt MD is legitC Windows System dnsrslvr dll gt MD is legitC Windows System mpssvc dll gt MD is legitC Windows System bfe dll gt MD is legitC Windows System drivers mpsdrv sys gt MD is legitC Windows System SDRSVC dll gt MD is legitC Windows System vssvc exe gt MD is legitC Windows System wscsvc dll gt MD is legitC Windows System wbem WMIsvc dll gt MD is legitC Windows System wuaueng dll gt MD is legitC Windows System qmgr dll gt MD is legitC Windows System es dll gt MD is legitC Windows System cryptsvc dll gt MD is legitC Program Files Windows Defender MpSvc dll gt MD is legitC Windows System ipnathlp dll gt MD is legitC Windows System iphlpsvc dll gt MD is legitC Windows System svchost exe gt MD is legitC Windows System rpcss dll gt MD is legit End of log MiniToolBox by Farbar Version - - Ran by Annettes administrator on - - at Running from C Users Annettes Desktop Windows Home Premium Service Pack X Boot Mode Normal IE Proxy Settings Proxy is not enabled No Proxy Server is set Hosts content IP Configuration Intel reg Centrino reg Advanced-N AGN Wireless Network Connection Connected Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller Local Area Connection Media disconnected Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter Wireless Network Connection Media disconnected Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter Wireless Network Connection Media disconnected Intel reg Centrino reg WiMAX Local Area Connection Media disconnected ---------------------------------- IPv Configuration ----------------------------------pushd interface ipv resetset global icm... Read more

A:Windows detected a hard drive problem, AND Toshiba hdd/ssd Alert

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer! I am HelpBot: an automated program designed to help the Bleeping Computer Staff better assist you! This message contains very important information, so please read through all of it before doing anything.
We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.
To help Bleeping Computer better assist you please perform the following steps:
*************************************************** In order to continue receiving help at BleepingComputer.com, YOU MUST tell me if you still need help or if your issue has already been resolved on your own or through another resource! To tell me this, please click on the following link and follow the instructions there.CLICK THIS LINK >>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/logreply/500987 <<< CLICK THIS LINK
If you no longer need help, then all you needed to do was the previous instructions of telling me so. You can skip the rest of this post. If you do need help please continue with Step 2 below.
***************************************************If you still need help, I would like you to post a Reply to this topic (click the "Add Reply" button in the lower right hand of this page). In that reply, please include the following information:If you have not done so already, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.A new DDS log. For your convenience, you will find the instructions for generating these logs repeated at the bottom of this post.Please do this even if you have previously posted logs for us.If you were unable to produce the logs originally please try once more.If you are unable to create a log please provide detailed information about your installed Windows Operating System including the Version, Edition and if it is a 32bit or a 64bit system.If you are unsure about any of these characteristics just post what you can and we will guide you.Please tell us if you have your original Windows CD/DVD available. Upon completing the above steps and posting a reply, another staff member will review your topic and do their best to resolve your issues.
Thank you for your patience, and again sorry for the delay.
We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan again: Download DDS by sUBs from the following link if you no longer have it available and save it to your destop.DDS.com Download LinkDouble click on the DDS icon, allow it to run. A small box will open, with an explanation about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running. Notepad will open with the results. Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results. Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet.
Information on A/V control can be found HERE.As I am just a silly little program running on the BleepingComputer.com servers, please do not send me private messages as I do not know how to read and reply to them! Thanks!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/500987/windows-detected-a-hard-drive-problem-and-toshiba-hddssd-alert/
Relevancy 79.98%

My Name is Hariyanto and I am from Indonesia.

My toshiba canvio portable hard drive 500GB is not detected by my Acer Laptop 4750 G. there are three usb ports. two of then are 2.0 and is 3.0 USB.

The USB 2.0 is not a problem. It can detect and read my external drive.
But when I change to USB 3.0, the laptop says that I need to format and when I format it the Windows 7 said that windows 7 can not format it.

I have already installed the renesas usb controller drive. I have tried to uninstalled and reinstalled it but still it didn't work.

What happen to my USB 3.0 port or my Toshiba external HD.

I really need your all help, please.
Thanks a lot

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-toshiba-canvio-portable-hard-drive-500gb-is-not-detected.174720/
Relevancy 79.55%

Hi,

I have the toshiba 1 tb harddrive that has not been working for a while now. It worked fine for a while but then for some reason it just got stuck. I have tried everything I could, have formatted it multiple times but it is just too slow to use. It works once in a while but most of the time I get an error everytime I try to back anything up. I also have problems opening files already on the hard drive or copying them on my computer. Basically this hard drive right now is worthless and I hope you can help me out.

Thank you

Relevancy 79.55%

I have a new 2T Toshiba external hard drive. I have Windows 7 on my desktop. I have Windows XP on my laptop. I want to be able to save data from each computer to the external hard drive. I want to have 1T on the external hard drive designated for each computer. Can this be done and if so how do I do it?

A:toshiba external hard drive

I would just make two folders, one for the Win XP data and one for the Windows 7 data...that gives you the maximum flexibility, but you can go into Disk Management with it plugged in (USB 2 or 3?) to a computer and delete the partition on it now and make two equal new partitions ( or split as you wish) and format them to NTFS.

Are the two computers on a network? If so you can share the drive on whatever computer you wish and map it as a network drive on the other computer so it shows in Computer window and is easily accessable. Otherwise you will have to plug into each as needed. I would make the drive letter somehing deeper in the alphabet that has space between it and the next nearest letter. Then it should retain the same drive letter each time it is plugged into a system and make for easier backups in that you won't ever have to change the path to the drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/toshiba-external-hard-drive.1009809/
Relevancy 79.55%

I got one of those recently and used the Toshiba tools in the hard drive to back up my system So then I reinstalled my Windows but I can't get the files I backed up off of the External HD They're there It shows that they are taking up space But I can't access them The folder that they're in is full of RIM files I can only get them by using the tools to restore or sync my system I tried both but they don't work When I try to restore it shows me the folder with all my files I select it but then there's nothing to select in the quot snapshot quot section See attachment Then if I try to sync the stuff on the HD to my desktop I get this screen see second attachment and it does nothing It just sits like that The files remaining and completed and time just all stay at I know my files are on the HD Is there any way to manually get them off TB 1 External Toshiba Hard Drive of it I should have never used the Toshiba tools to back it up Shoulda just manually copied all the files onto it cuz I did that for or files and I can access them just fine I'd be really thankful if someone could help Toshiba External 1 TB Hard Drive me out here Thanks

Relevancy 79.55%

Hi Im terry, and am new to the community, and as with most people here I have a problem that I cant put right. I have a 1 tb external toshiba hard drive, and until this morning, it worked fine, but now when I switch it on the red led that normally turns blue, flashes blue instead, and the compouter does not recognise it at all. HELP Please !!!!!

A:1 TB toshiba external hard drive

The external drives power supply (or AC adapter) could have failed

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/1-tb-toshiba-external-hard-drive.131976/
Relevancy 79.55%

Yesterday I was about to my Windows laptop disk Toshiba problem hard a on (Vista) detected send an e-mail when I decided instead to go to lunch Windows detected a hard disk problem on my Toshiba (Vista) laptop I left the computer turned on when I left When I returned I was surprised to see the following onscreen message Windows detected a hard disk problem Back up your files immediately to prevent information loss and then contact the computer manufacturer to determine if you need to repair or replace the disk I was given two options Start the backup process Ask me again later If the disk fails before the next warning you could lose all of the programs and documents on the disk I then clicked on Show details and was warned to back up my important information immediately Moreover I was instructed to try not to use my computer until the Windows detected a hard disk problem on my Toshiba (Vista) laptop hard disk has been repaired or replaced Under Which disk is failing the name of the hard disk is given At the end it reads ATA Device Volume C Starting at around noon on Sunday I received this message twice in less than an hour It s now hours later and it hasn t reappeared At someone s suggestion I am currently running CHKDSK and waiting for the results Does getting this message invariably mean there s a serious problem or could it be received inadvertently without any actual problem At any rate I ve spent all day backing up all the stuff I care to save just in case there is something amiss Should I continue using my laptop as though there is no problem or should I follow the message instructions and call the computer manufacturer Thank you nbsp

A:Windows detected a hard disk problem on my Toshiba (Vista) laptop

Well, it's Monday afternoon, and my laptop continues to work very, very well -- no signs yet of any hard drive problem. Can I expect it to conk out at any minute? Or could the warning message have been nothing more than a false positive?

By the way, I ran CHKDSK last night. When I went to bed it was at 15%, so I figured it would be finished by the time I woke up. When I got to my laptop this morning I expected to see a lengthy list of CHKDSK results. Much to my surprise I saw instead my normal screen: wallpaper and icons. So I clicked on GOOGLE CHROME and started surfing the Net.

Now I have a few more questions. Where in the heck do I find my CHKDSK results? Could it be that my laptop, indeed, did have hard drive problems which now have been repaired by CHKDSK? If so, wouldn't the CHKDSK results give me an answer? If there are problems which are irreparable, would the CHKDSK results tell me so? I would just like to know where I stand. At this point I have absolutely no idea if my hard drive is, or is not, about to die. It would be good to be able to find out, if indeed that's possible. I would be most grateful to anyone who might be able to help. Thank you.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-detected-a-hard-disk-problem-on-my-toshiba-vista-laptop.977972/
Relevancy 78.69%

Hi,
I have been using my Iomega HDD for a while now and have never had any problems before today.
It worked fine when connected to my Acer Netbook running windows 7 starter 32 bit. I connected to a friends laptop and it said to access it it must be formatted, so i bought it home and it said the same thing, to access it must be formatted.
I have attempted to format it numerous times and each time it says windows is unable to complete the format..
I disconnected it (safely ) and restarted the computer before connecting it again and now it is not being detected.
Any solution ideas would be greatly appreciated
Thankyou

Now it's not being detected by my Acer Netbook.. The light on the hard drive is on.. but nothing is happening on computer..
not being detrected in Disk Management either..

A:External hard drive not being detected

Now it's not being detected by my Acer Netbook.. The light on the hard drive is on.. but nothing is happening on computer..

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/240597-external-hard-drive-not-being-detected.html
Relevancy 78.69%

I have a Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 160GB hard drive. It came in an external casing which became tatty and so I bought a new one. Well the new enclosure didnt work and so I have only just got a new one after about 11 months.
The problem I now have is that my computer will not recognise it. I'm running on Windows XP Home, and the hard drive did work on there before I put it in the new enclosure. I have tried the jumpper settings suggested by Maxtor and it doesn't work. The only way I can get the computer to show it is by putting the jumppers on Cap Limit, then it shows a 31.50GB hard drive. I can not format the drive, I have too many things on there that can not be replaced.

If anyone can help me at all, then please I would be very very greatful.

Mei.

A:External Hard Drive Not Detected

What types of interface are you using to connect computer / external drive?

What interface options drive and its enclosure?

"Computer doesn' recognize it" also leaves a gap of unanswered questions including at which point is it not recognized?

Is it recognized by Devmgr? Are attachining via USB or other? Cause couldn't even ask what "not recognized means" until i know what should be expected.

In generalization:
- Recognized in devmgr (if that simply mean "i can see it listed under Disks, so yes." There can be still further criteria required before you could say "yes" for DevMgr so that answer is still an am not sure)

Do you see it at all in Explorer? Or do you see it but with no drive letter assigned?

Same for Disk Managment, it';s drive letter shown there? does it appear as a disk there?

So please translate "not recognized"

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-not-detected.118487/
Relevancy 78.69%

Okay the title s only the start honestly I m going to start from the beginning because i ve had a LOT of related problems So first of all i left my lenovo y with windows running under a bunch External drive detected not hard of blankets because i m an idiot after that booting up the computer would result in an error message reading quot EFI Network for ipv string of numbers boot failed quot the computer would very rarely boot up sucessfully at first but would bluescreen before long After a couple days it would no longer boot sucessfully I assumed that it was a hard External hard drive not detected drive issue so i bought a USB external hard drive which i ve never used before It was a tb trancend storejet I External hard drive not detected left the burnt- out hard drive inside the computer Plugging in the new drive originally gave me an error that no OS was detected which is supposed to happen I m not sure restarting actually got the computer running for at least an hour until it bluescreened with quot SYSTEM STORE EXCEPTION quot After that i had the same problems as before and BIOS didn t read a hard drive What is my problem and how can i fix it nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-not-detected.1154678/
Relevancy 78.69%

Hi guys.

So today I plugged in my 1Tb WDBPCK0010BBK external hard disk to access my files, just like any other usual day. But then my external hard disk cannot be detected :\ I tried it on my sister's laptop and my friend's but it cannot be detected too. So please help me.

Btw, idk if "detected" is the right term since the safely remove hardware can detect it and so does the device manager. but then my computer cannot detect it so I can't open it. please help.

Relevancy 78.69%

I have a western digital mybook (WD5000C032-002) that for some reason is not being detected by Windows 7 RC. It is a USB connection straight from the mybook to one of the motherboard's usb ports. All my device drivers are up-to-date. If I go into "Devices and Printers" and click on "Add a device"... I get a window that says "Searching for devices... Make sure your device is discoverable." It stayed on this screen for up to 1/2 hour and then I gave up and clicked Cancel. Doing this this shouldn't be necessary anyway, because as soon as I plug in the mybook it should be detected automatically, if I'm not mistaken. By the way, I can confirm that this mybook is detected by an XP machine.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance!

A:External Hard Drive Not Detected

wondering if you are connecting it via usb 2.0 port. Tho technically it SHOULD still find the drive, i have noticed win7 reporting fits here if anything like a hdd is not plugged into a 2.0 port here. Most of mine are 2.0, all but one set, and when the 2.0 gets filled up at times, this is my choice, and what i have seen.

Not much to really offer you here, i dont think THIS SHOULD be a problem, and it might not be. I just notice 7 complaining alot on 2.0 use or nonuse of actually.

Do any other usb devices work, like a printer or ipod etc?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/9755-external-hard-drive-not-detected.html
Relevancy 78.69%

External Hard drive (of 2 TB) was connected to my Laptop (Running Windows 7 Home Premium).

System was shut down abruptly (I guess something was being read/write from the external HDD). I tried restarting (with the external HDD connected) and the system would not proceed from the "Windows is Shutting Down" screen. As soon as I remove the external HDD cable the system shut downs and restarts. When the Operating system is up, I connect the external HDD but cannot see the external HDD drive.

I did a restart again, but no luck.

When I open 'Disk Management' it asks me to Initialize the drive. I am not willing to loose the data on it. (data is approx of 600 GB).

Files that I have in are .vmdk images, .iso files & Executable files. There are hardly any media/photo files. (I am concerned about the executable's.)

I have attached screenshot from 'Disk Management' view.

A:External Hard Drive not detected

Do you have drivers for your external HDD?...
Did you HDD recognize in other computers?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/366447-external-hard-drive-not-detected.html
Relevancy 78.69%

I have a small 50gb HHD powered from USB

It will connect to my laptop running windows 7 home premium but not my pc running windows 7 professional

When plugged into my pc by usb the Disk does not power up and spin (the light does come on)

There is no recognition of it in my computer, device manager or disk management

Ive tried

Reinstalling USB ports & Drivers
Updating BIOS
Reinstalling USBSTOR.INF file
Formatting drive on laptop then connecting
Trying different USB cable
Cleaning up all ghost USB device drivers
Connecting before PC startup and while running

Anybody got any ideas of how to fix this?

With it connecting to my laptop im thinking its a driver or windows 7 professional problem but not sure

A:External Hard Drive not Detected

Quote: Originally Posted by paddi23

Ive tried

Reinstalling USB ports & Drivers
Updating BIOS
Reinstalling USBSTOR.INF file
Formatting drive on laptop then connecting
Trying different USB cable
Cleaning up all ghost USB device drivers
Connecting before PC startup and while running

Hi,

You didn't specifically mention it, but can we assume you also tried a different USB port on the PC running Professional? Are you sure its the USB2 and not USB3 port?

Do both the laptop and PC run 32 bit or 64 bit?

Do you know the make and model of the external HDD?

Regards,
Golden

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/251874-external-hard-drive-not-detected.html
Relevancy 78.69%

Hi guys,

My computer cannot detect my 250GB external hard drive and I'm having a hard time fixing this issue, and I've been searching for the problem to be fixed in the internet, unfortunately nothing was found. Before this issue happened, there was no problem, it was working fine until I did something with the registry-cleaning and such. However, my external hard drive can be detected by other computers, and I don't know why my computer can't detect it.

Does anyone of you know what the cause of this problem? I'd be glad if you can help with this problem.

A:External hard drive not detected

Quote: Originally Posted by Frankier77

Hi guys,

My computer cannot detect my 250GB external hard drive and I'm having a hard time fixing this issue, and I've been searching for the problem to be fixed in the internet, unfortunately nothing was found. Before this issue happened, there was no problem, it was working fine until I did something with the registry-cleaning and such. However, my external hard drive can be detected by other computers, and I don't know why my computer can't detect it.

Does anyone of you know what the cause of this problem? I'd be glad if you can help with this problem.

Hi Frankier77,

I understand that you have checked this harddrive on a different system and it worked fine. As you said issue occurred after you made changes on the system so you can try doing a system restore:

System Restore

Also, kindly post a screenshot of your device manager and disk management. Check instructions here:

Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Seven Forums

Also, check this link which would be useful in resolving this issue:

Windows 7 not detecting my External Hard drive - Microsoft Community

Keep us posted with the results.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/297883-external-hard-drive-not-detected.html
Relevancy 78.69%

i have a western digital external harddrive (WDBAAR5000ABK-00)
that is not being detected by my computer. i plug it in and the pc does not
even makes the sound of (device connected) it doesn't appear at the (my computer) screen neither at device manager.
the hard drive does turn on and can hear it spin. i just cant find it on my computer.
is there any way to make the hard drive appear ?
i already changed the usb cable,

thank you

A:External hard drive not detected

Is that an old drive... We have discovered a lot of difficulties of the WD drives in external case being recognized as they age... Their life expectancy appears to be very short... too often, between one and two years.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-not-detected.177379/
Relevancy 78.69%

I have an 1T external drive plugged into esata port. It used to work and now it doesn't? When I boot up bios correctly identifies the drive as a seagate sata drive. When I look at device manager is says its a seagate SCSI drive and therefore the system doesn't recognize it at all? In device manager under drive properties it say " this device is working properly" I checked in disk management and the drive is there and on line but because it sees it as a SCSI drive and not sata its not found by any software??? I think its something to do with the Windows sp1 update as it was working fine. I also changed external drives....no difference......Heeeeeeelp!

A:External hard drive not detected---again

Hi ronstitt.

You said that the hard drive shows up in Disk Management as online, but is the partition on the hard drive assigned a drive letter? That's caught me out in the past.

Try locating the hard drive in Disk Management again, right click the partition, and press "Change Drive Letter and Paths...". In the window that appears, check that there is a letter in the box. If not, press "Add...", and choose one.

Let me know how it goes.
Tom.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/157012-external-hard-drive-not-detected-again.html
Relevancy 78.69%

Hi I have this Iomega GB external USB hard drive it worked perfectly until I visited India I took this to India and i tried to hook it up not External detected Hard is drive to my laptop it was not detected no power light nothing I though may be External Hard drive is not detected because of v input But power adapter does support input - v Anyways it didnt work so I External Hard drive is not detected just removed it and thought will check it once i m back here in NYC After coming back I m trying and it is same No light and its not detected on my XP laptop what went wrong I thought of adapter But power adapter is working I connected to another device digital frame and shows power I tried to connect to another laptop its same result It worked flawlessly when i connected last time I think that enclosure is gone or is it that Hard drive it self is gone Can someone experienced throw some light Regards Gary nbsp

A:External Hard drive is not detected

Can someone tell me how do i find out whether the enclosure is gone or Hard Drive has been crashed? I think its an ATA drive inside.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-is-not-detected.125972/
Relevancy 77.83%

Hi,
my 80GB WD Passport is not being detected by my laptop when plugged in (by USB). A LED at the side of the external hard drive indicates that it is being powered on even though the computer shows no sign of detection (no sound indication; nothing showing up in My Computer). May someone please assist me in solving this problem? Thanks a bunch.
External Hard Drive Specs
80GB Wd Passport, model wd1200u017-002.
It is only compatible with USB 2.0.
(please note that my WD Passport is very old)

Computer Specs
Windows edition: Windows 7 Home Premium
Manufacturer: Dell
Model: N5110
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2310M CPU2.10GHz 2.10 GHz
Installed memory (RAM): 6.00 GB
System type: 64-bit Operating System
(note this computer has both USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports, & I tried the harddrive in both ports)

(guys, formatting the WD Passport is not an option as the drive contains important files.)

A:WD Passport external hard drive not being detected

So, there's nobody willing to help? Please, there's irreplaceable files in my WD. Thanks again

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/239664-wd-passport-external-hard-drive-not-being-detected.html
Relevancy 77.83%

Bonjour tout le mondeJ'ai un probleme avec mon lenovo U41Quand je met mon disque dur externe , il est visible dans périphérique et imprimante mais impossible de l'ouvrirMais non sur "Mon Pc"J'ai déja désinstaller et resinstaller le disque mais aucun succés alors que quand je branche mon iphone , il le detecte.Mon disque dur est un seagate BUP SLIM BKQuelqu'un aurait-il une idée ?Merci d'avance
JP1990Hey everyone ,I have a problem with my lenovo U41,When i plug my external hard drive , it is visible on the periphal and printer but not on "My Computer"I have uninstall and install the hard drive once already. WHen i put my iphone it is detected and i can open itMy hard drive is a seagate BUP SLIM BKCan anyone help me ?RegardsJP1990

Mod's Edit: System model added to the front of Subject line to improve visibility / clarity.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-U-and-S-Series-Notebooks/U41-External-hard-drive-not-detected-in-my-computer/td-p/3363890
Relevancy 77.83%

Hey

My friends laptop is no longer booting, and I need to take the data off the hard drive before a reformat. My plan was to connect the hard drive to my laptop using an enclosure so I could copy the data over, reformat, then copy back.

However, when I connected the hard drive to my laptop via the enclosure, my laptop didn't show it as an additional drive. A light is on the hard drive enclosure, so I know there's power to it, and my laptop installs the drivers for both the hard drive and enclosure, so I know the laptop is properly connected

Like I said though, I'm not getting any option to actually use it as an additional drive

So what am I doing wrong and how do I fix it?

Any and all help would be massively appreciated

PS. My operating system is Vista

Relevancy 77.83%

I have a new GB Iomega portable external USB hard drive purchased some time ago as a spare but - until now - not used So it has no data on it other than whatever might have been on it from the factory The fundamental problem is that when plugged in it does not show up as a drive in the My Computer screen I have plugged it in to different USB ports and in two separate laptops one WinXP yes yes I know and one Win Iomega hard detected drive not external The power light on the drive illuminates and the case vibrates hums very slightly which suggests that the hard drive is spinning But it simply doesn't appear as a drive There are some clues which I hope forum experts may be able to interpret See details below First I tried to see if there was a Iomega external hard drive not detected hardware problem I checked the connecting USB cable by using another different and known-good cable Same problem drive not visible Which suggests the original USB cable is OK To check if there was a fault in the actual Iomega PCB inside the casing I opened the case disconnected and removed the hard drive it's made by Seagate and installed it in another spare hard drive caddy which I happened to have - and which has its own known-good USB PCB interface Plugged this into my laptop s Still no drive visible or listed in My Computer - which suggests that the original Iomega PCB USB interface is not the problem So is the hard drive dead It seems to spin OK Or is there a software issue or something else Incidentally all my other external drives USB sticks and other devices work fine in both my computers so the laptops themselves are not faulty in any way I reassembled the original Iomega HDD into its casing and plugged it in again As before I get a popup from the System Tray saying new USB storage device detected Then after a few minutes a further popup saying something like Your new device is ready to use But - as before - still no sign of the external drive in the My Computer screen NB I have no other USB devices or drives connected So I open My Computer gt Manage and look at Device Manager No conflicts or warnings are showing under any headings eg disk drives or USB controllers Under Disk Drives when I expand the list it shows the internal C drive a Fujitsu and another drive which is listed as ST AS USB Device Clicking on the Properties of that device the 'General' tab says the device is working properly But under the 'Volumes' tab the headings say Disk - unknown Type - unknown Status - unreadable Partition Style - not applicable and Capacity Unallocated and Reserved Space - all MB Still in Computer Management under Storage gt Disk Management the C drive shows up as healthy and normal The empty CD DVD drive is also listed as drive D But nothing else No sign of any other drive in the list or in the graphic which illustrates partitions So no possibility of right-clicking to initialise format or assign a drive letter because the external drive simply does not appear last throw of the dice after some online browsing Using the command line not something I am comfortable with I went to disk part and tried list disk The only entry was the internal hard disk ie the C drive No sign at all of the external Iomega drive So I am baffled The only other clue is that - curiously - the Safely Remove Hardware icon in the system tray when clicked DOES list 'USB Mass Storage Device' as well as pointlessly the CD DVD drive D And when that mass storage device is selected it shows the ST etc reference and when clicked a popup says the device can be safely unplugged At present therefore this Iomega external portable hard drive is a useless paperweight But it is frustrating not to be able to pin down the problem Before throwing it away I'd like to know if there is anything else I can do to check it and or to make it visible and usable

A:Iomega external hard drive not detected

It might need to be plugged into 2 usb ports, using a y-splitter.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forum/helproom-1/iomega-external-hard-drive-not-detected-4598323/
Relevancy 77.83%

Hello,

I have windows 7 32 bit on a toshiba laptop. I am posting becuase this is a strange situation. I have a goflex exteral terrabyte. The computer recognizes it, lists it in the device manager and claims that it is working properly. However, I can't access it, I can't save anything to it, or get anything from it, or even see the files on it.

Now, I have a mac and a pc, the drive said it could be used on both. So i first used it on the mac (and it works perfectly) but not on the pc. It there a share error maybe?

Any help would be appreciated. I am an editor and I was hoping to be able to easily move from my computer (mac) to my clients (pc).

Thank You for any help or opinions you can give.

Misti Stanton
Dallas, TX

P.S. the drives are up to date.

A:External Hard Drive Detected but not Accessible

Hi Misti,

The first use of the drive was on the Mac, is that correct? And there is no problem on the Mac - right?
i really don't have an answer, but I've had issues with my own ext HD. The original system I connected it to was XP, then a Vista machine. the HD would request me to chkdsk every time I plugged it in. Then I could see the files and on some volumes access them. Other volumes were set as read-only. After some time just being attached, the HD would mark itself offline.

It will help if you can post a full screen snapshot of Disk Managment.

Thanks,

Bill

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/260423-external-hard-drive-detected-but-not-accessible.html
Relevancy 77.83%

Bonjour tout le mondeJ'ai un probleme avec mon lenovo U41Quand je met mon disque dur externe , il est visible dans périphérique et imprimante mais impossible de l'ouvrirMais non sur "Mon Pc"J'ai déja désinstaller et resinstaller le disque mais aucun succés alors que quand je branche mon iphone , il le detecte.Mon disque dur est un seagate BUP SLIM BKQuelqu'un aurait-il une idée ?Merci d'avanceJP1990Hey everyone ,I have a problem with my lenovo U41,When i plug my external hard drive , it is visible on the periphal and printer but not on "My Computer"I have uninstall and install the hard drive once already. WHen i put my iphone it is detected and i can open itMy hard drive is a seagate BUP SLIM BKCan anyone help me ?RegardsJP1990 

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-U-and-S-Series-Notebooks/External-hard-drive-not-detected-in-my-computer/td-p/3363890
Relevancy 77.83%

Hi I joined these forums hoping specifically that I would find the solution to this issue with my computer and the hard drive I recently purchased an Iomega TB external hard drive to back up my files from my drive External connected when hard to PC detected not Laptop Toshiba satellite because it has External hard drive not detected when connected to PC been constantly showing hard drive failure warnings and messages telling me to back up my files When I External hard drive not detected when connected to PC connected the hard drive the first time it worked fine and I was able to access it but didn't use it for anything at the time The next time I used it however the usual quot New device quot sound didn't play and the hard drive didn't show up in the file External hard drive not detected when connected to PC browser I then looked up the issue to find that it is a common problem where the device hasn't been assigned a drive letter I went to the Disk Manager to fix the issue but the device was not in the list of connected devices I have searched for the problem several times and have had no luck in finding the solution The problem seems to be with my computer because it works fine on my brother's computer and has no issues Additionally I have been having problems with Windows Update being stuck on quot Downloading quot and have had to use the system restore several times when getting stuck on an update message on startup I think that this may be the cause of the problem and yes I have turned on the hard drive Any help is appreciated and I hope to get this issue resolved so I can back up my files

A:External hard drive not detected when connected to PC

Hey Jim101.

Sounds like the USB ports are somehow unable to recognize the drive properly. I would suggest connecting a flash drive to the same USB port and see if it gets recognized properly. If it does, try plugging the external hdd again.

Have you tried different USB ports? Just a thought.

Let me know how it turns out.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/190313-external-hard-drive-not-detected-when-connected-pc.html
Relevancy 77.83%

Hi there,

I have a Seagate 1TB External Hard drive not being detected after i switched the laptop off while downlading a software file on the hard drive, that i couldn't stop & after the laptop came back up it couldn't detect the HD. Tha power comes on on the HD & the disk spins as it has an adapter & the USB connected to the laptop. Sometimes the light stayed on & lately it only flickers. Tried it on another PC doesn't get detected. Plz some help would b great. Thanks.

A:Seagate 1TB external hard drive not detected

Maybe ?

I have had about 15 Externals in my time, every problem i had was the same one, the circuitboard came away from the hard drive, all i did was unscrewed the whol thing pushed it all back together tightly

Dont know if this will help with your problem....

also try to run chkdsk

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265 - Windows XP

http://www.w7forums.com/use-chkdsk-check-disk-t448.html -win 7

Good luck

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/seagate-1tb-external-hard-drive-not-detected.171691/
Relevancy 77.83%

Allready scanned for some kind of worm with a couple of antiviruses.Also used "Flash disinfector" but my external disk keeps being recognized as a 2gb flash drive in "My computer" and i cannot access any of my files.I also tried it on a second PC and it did the same thing.
I use windows xp pro,i can see its true capacity in the System tools and i also changed the letter of the disk but no luck.Been trying to solve this for many hours but the only thing that i managed to do is for the disk icon to be shown now as disk and not as a removable flash disk but still in "My computer" it is shown as a 2gb thing instead of 600gb and with no access to my files.

A:External hard drive mis-detected with my flash usb

Not certain we have a malware issue here but we'll look.i cannot access any of my files Do they appear to be hidden or do you get an error?Can you run these?>>>> Download this file and doubleclick on it to run it. Allow the information to be merged with the registry.RKill....Download and Run RKillPlease download RKill by Grinler from one of the 4 links below and save it to your desktop.

Link 1
Link 2
Link 3
Link 4

Before we begin, you should disable your anti-malware softwares you have installed so they do not interfere RKill running as some anti-malware softwares detect RKill as malicious. Please refer to this page if you are not sure how.
Double-click on Rkill on your desktop to run it. (If you are using Windows Vista, please right-click on it and select Run As Administrator)
A black screen will appear and then disappear. Please do not worry, that is normal. This means that the tool has been successfully executed.
If nothing happens or if the tool does not run, please let me know in your next replyDo not reboot your computer after running rkill as the malware programs will start again. Or if rebooting is required run it again.If you continue having problems running rkill.com, you can download iExplore.exe or eXplorer.exe, which are renamed copies of rkill.com, and try them instead.Now run MBAM (MalwareBytes):Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.Download Link 1Download Link 2MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.Make sure you are connected to the Internet.Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
For instructions with screenshots, please refer to the How to use Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Guide.When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:Update Malwarebytes' Anti-MalwareLaunch Malwarebytes' Anti-MalwareThen click Finish.MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.On the Scanner tab:Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.Then click on the Scan button.If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button. The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.Back at the main Scanner screen:Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.Exit MBAM when done.Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malw... Read more

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/411197/external-hard-drive-mis-detected-with-my-flash-usb/
Relevancy 77.83%

i have a external hard drive that was working fine until a couple of days ago im not sure exactly when it stopped working but the only thing i can think of is that the other day i was transferring a film to my laptop until it decided it couldn hard but drive my external everywhere detected computer t take it any more and crashed then i unplugged the external hard drive at the USB and shut down my computer manually now when i plug in the hard drive it is detected in device manager and disk management and i am also able to safely remove the drive but it does not show in my computer or whatever it is that the vista equivalent is called also in disk management it appears as Disk and says that it is not initialized however if external hard drive detected everywhere but my computer i right click and i choose external hard drive detected everywhere but my computer to initialize it then an error message comes up saying incorrect function i have tried different ports un-installing and re-installing drivers using a different computer i cant change or even see a drive letter and after searching for many many hours through different posts and threads and trying them all im still stuck if anyone can help me to save my data or even just external hard drive detected everywhere but my computer get the hard drive working again i would be extremely grateful nbsp

A:external hard drive detected everywhere but my computer

I'm having the same problem.

Any solution?​

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-detected-everywhere-but-my-computer.832535/
Relevancy 77.83%

Just bougtht a nice new PC for my missus with Windows Vista Home installed and everything works fine except a (new) Western Digtital 150 GB external USB Hard Drive cannot be detected when plugged in.

It's light comes on and I have tried it in all of the available USB slots but no luck.

Guess this is going to be somewhere in the BIOS is it?

The HDD works fine on my PC and gets detected and shows all it's files etc. no problems.

Relevancy 77.83%

hi my friend asked me to have a look at a there external hard drive after she split coke on it, and it stop working, the power is still getting to it the hard drive is still spining but the driver appears to be missing.

there is no vissable water marks (no sign of damage within the casing) (also there is no arking, burn marks)

there is power to the board and driver (light on the front and the driver spinning)

mine and there laptop both recognise that there is something there (as a 'unknown device') but it doesn't recognise it as a storage device.

when it did work it installed drivers from the windows drivers. i manually tryed choosing these drivers without success. it came back error code 10.

so i am unsure what the problem to be except the driver is missing,

much abilaged if anyone can help

just to in form i am running on vista

A:Toshiba external hard drive unknown device

I think it likely that the usb interface in your external enclosure may be damaged.
The drive may still be undamaged, and transferring it to a new enclosure may be your best best.
Such enclosures are relatively cheap and easily available.
I would not suggest continuing to use the existing enclosure.
Depending on the damage done to the usb interface, that damaged device could cause damage to the usb port of your computer.
Hope this helps.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/toshiba-external-hard-drive-unknown-device.163946/
Relevancy 76.97%

transcend 1TB external hard drive(StoreJet 25A3) is not getting detected in my computer disk management is showing it is fully empty,but it has all my files in it...
Things I HAVE TRIED:
*Trying on all ports in both my laptops
*troubleshooting
*re-installing driver
I have also attached a screenshot in of device manager below

A:transcend 1TB external hard drive is not getting detected in my comput

If the partition you want to open is the one with the hash marks in the screenshot, simply assign a drive letter and that should get you read/write access to it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/343147-transcend-1tb-external-hard-drive-not-getting-detected-my-comput.html
Relevancy 76.97%

I find that my external hard drive (Western Digital Desktop drive) is inaccessible. When I try to access it through Windows Explorer, It does not show the device at all. The HDD is detected by the device manager in disk drives.

The HDD is not detected in other 2 computers too. tried in a mac and windows laptops.

I ran CHKDSK. At the beginning, it gave me the following message: "Warning! F parameter not specified. Running CHKDSK in read-only mode." It claimed to fix some things at the end of step 2, but it didn't help.

Device Manager thinks that the device is running properly.

I rebooted the machine but that didn't help either.

I ran chkdsk/f as suggested for one of the similar problems in another thread, but for that lucky guy, the drive was visible in windows exploreer.

Any ideas?

Pls pls help me a it has all my important data in it.

A:External Hard Drive not detected by Windows explorer

Have you run fdisk to partition it and then formatted the partition(s)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-not-detected-by-windows-explorer.1098524/
Relevancy 76.97%

My external hard drive WD Passport can be detected but doesn't show up External up folder not in show Hard but detected Drive: does in My Computer I tried everything I saw on the internet but to no avail I need these files so badly Help It shows up in my Device Manager Right clicked it and uninstalled it plugged it back It gets detected again but still it doesnt show up in My Computer I went to Disk Management It's unknown not initialized and unallocated with black line on top What does that mean See jpg It shows up in Devices and Printers but it has a yellow triangle mark on it with quot quot See jpg So I click troubleshoot It says quot The driver for WD SES Device USB Device is not installed Install the latest driver for the device External Hard Drive: detected but does not show up in folder quot Then I click quot Apply this fix quot Then it says quot WD SES Device External Hard Drive: detected but does not show up in folder USB Device doesn't have a driver Not fixed quot See jpg I plugged my external hard drive to my other computer I did the same thing but still it didn't work It gets detected but won't show up in My Computer

A:External Hard Drive: detected but does not show up in folder

I have no clue but just curious.

Did it happen after you installed Daemon Tools?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/332825-external-hard-drive-detected-but-does-not-show-up-folder.html
Relevancy 76.97%

the device is lighting up some time WHEN I GO TO manage - MY computer then lightening off and not detecting in my PC i cant send any file to the storage drive , and i cant fined it in My computer appreciate for the support in advance

A:Transcend external storage hard drive not detected in my PC

Have you tried it in another computer to check whether it is a problem with the drive itself?Always pop back and let us know the outcome - thanksmessage edited by Derek

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-8/transcend-external-storage-hard-drive-not-detected-in-my-pc/1748.html
Relevancy 76.97%

Hi there,

I have a Western Digital external hard drive that is not detected by Windows anymore. When I plug it in, the hard drive does not show up on "My Computer" but it does show up on Disk Management :

I have read on the internet that this issue is usually caused by a corrupted sector or the MBR that's corrupted.

I tried TestDiskt but unfortunately when it asks me to choose the hard drive i want to select, my external hard drive doesnt show up on the list.

The only hdd that i see on TestDisk is my internal hard drive.

Every software that i tried to recover data with can't detect my external hard drive, that is why I now ask for your help.

Is there anyway I can recover the data or, even better, get my hard drive to work again.

Thanks.

A:My external hard drive is not detected by Windows anymore

You should have a read through this guide thread, see if it helps:

What to do if your external hard drive does not show in my computer

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-external-hard-drive-is-not-detected-by-windows-anymore.167143/
Relevancy 76.97%

Hi all,

I have a WD external hard drive. Yesterday, when I connected it to my laptop, it was detected but when I tried to access it through my computer, there was no content available. When I looked at its property, I found out the following;

Used Space: 0 bytes
Free Space: 0 bytes

I then went to My Computer > Manage > Disk Management. I found out that the drive is not available in the list.

Is my hard drive corrupted?

Would appreciate if anybody out there can help me on this. Thanks

A:External hard drive detected but cannot access content

"Is my hard drive corrupted?" Most likely yes. Please learn to back up important data on CD, DVD or Blu-Ray media. These type media are non-volatile and are better than solid state memory flash drives

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-detected-but-cannot-access-content.172998/
Relevancy 76.97%

I have an external TB WD issue detected Drive stay cannot External Hard Green Craviar HD Well it used to work without any problem in my older pc where I had Winxp Now I have a different pc details are Operating System Windows Ultimate -bit SP CPU Intel Xeon E GHz C Harpertown nm Technology Intel External Hard Drive issue cannot stay detected Xeon E GHz C Harpertown nm Technology RAM GB FB-DDR MHz - - - Motherboard Hewlett-Packard A Ch XU PROCESSOR C Graphics Acer X H x Hz Generic Non-PnP Monitor x Hz MB ATI Radeon HD Dell External Hard Drive issue cannot stay detected C Storage GB Western Digital WDC WD FAEX- Z A SATA C GB Western Digital WDC WD FAEX- BA SATA C GB Western Digital WDC WD BB- GUC ATA Device ATA C GB Western Digital WD My Book USB Device USB SATA C GB Western Digital WD My Book USB Device USB SATA C GB SAMSUNG HD UI USB Device USB External Hard Drive issue cannot stay detected GB Western Digital WD My Book USB Device USB SATA C GB Western Digital WD My Book USB Device USB SATA C Optical Drives ASUS DRW- B ST HP DVD Writer t Audio Creative X-Fi Audio Processor WDM The problem started when I first connected my external drive to the above mentioned system at first it gave me an error for the disk being Dynamic and I had to convert it to basic so i attached the external HD via an enclosure to an old laptop copied all the data TB just to be on the safe side then converted the Dynamic disc to basic disk via a software Easeus Partition Master Edition Everything worked out fine I copied all the data back i attached it to the Intel Xeon E and it was instantly detected After a few days i started noticing something strange sometimes I has to replug the HD to be seen as a drive via the USB I even attached with a SATA cable to the motherboard but the problem was still there Now the issue is I am completely unable to detect access the HD i attach the HD with the sata cable it is not recognized as a drive and when use the USB cable if is shown for a few secs that drive X yes that is the name as I have assigned all the rest of the letters to my other external already attached HD's is attached and then it again shows HD removed without a warning all on its own I have read the forums here and tried almost anything I have important data on that drive which I have hardly used it was bought months back I am attaching two screen shots the drive shows up in the Disk managment section for a few secs and then vanished I took a screen shot here I have marked the drive in the screenshot although the screenshot shows the drive is online but you can see in the right corner I instantly got the message that the drive has been removed I am unable to stop this I connect the drive it says drive connected and is instantly followed by the drive has been removed After all this I even used the software mentioned here in the forums called quot MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition quot although it was very difficult to get the drive to stay long enough for other softwares to detect it I was able to to use MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition only once to scan the HD It was being shown there as a Bad Disk I tried the partition recovery wizard but even after scanning it showed it as Bad Disk see screenshot below Now I just dont know what else should I do so I am writing in vain that someone can help me out here please like I said I have important data in the drive can someone please please please help me to recover my disk or atleast my data

A:External Hard Drive issue cannot stay detected

Hi kufr, noted on the difficulty you're facing on the WD external hard disk. I strongly recommend you to try out the Data Lifeguard Diagnostics test first for the drive which might help to detect any errors on the drive itself. Here is the link for the test accordingly.

How to test a drive for problems using Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows

Hope it helps.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/339239-external-hard-drive-issue-cannot-stay-detected.html
Relevancy 76.97%

Alright, so I have an 1TB Toshiba External Hard Drive and it has the option for either USB or eSATA. I had it attached by USB up til now cuz I didn't have an eSATA cable or port. Today, I went to MicroCenter and got an eSATA to eSATA cable and a port thing that has two eSATA females and two SATA males that go into my SATA ports in my motherboard. I put the two SATA ports in my motherboard, screwed in the two eSATA ports in my case, closed the case, plugged in the eSATA cable to my computer then to my External HDD, turned my computer on, and it doesn't even detect it. Can someone help me out here, please?

A:External Hard Drive attached by eSATA not detected

Hello,

Can you see the drive in your BIOS?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/57639-external-hard-drive-attached-esata-not-detected.html
Relevancy 76.97%

Hi,

I have had an Iomega external hard for a year now and it used to work perfectly, until suddenly, my computer (Mac) won't detect it anymore.

When I turn it on, the blue light comes on and I can hear the disk spinning inside, but there is no trace of any external device connected to my mac. I've connected through USB and Firewire with no success. Going to disk utility, only my internal hard drive appears.

It simply just stopped showing up on my computer. Does anybody have any advice to get my hard drive working again?

A:Iomega External Hard Drive stopped being detected

Try a different usb & firewire port physically on your mac & try a different cable. If no dice try it on a different mac or even on a PC, see if the other computer detects it. many times w/ external hard drives the enclosure fails but the drive is ok. worse case scenario the enclosure is bad & you can remove drive to put in another enclosure, or the whole thing could be hosed. try this, post back. thanks!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/iomega-external-hard-drive-stopped-being-detected.192596/
Relevancy 76.97%

Hi I have had my TB Desktop External Hard-drive for a year or two And I have had the occassional problem with it but now I can't fix it myself It's WD and as I said holds TB I have GB lt worth of irreplaceable stuff and I need help I lost it's real power and USB cable but I have been using substitutes that have been working fine and have been for the whole of this year The light on it lights up half way when it's plugged in and it's visible at the moment with it plugged in and then flashes very brightly when connecting and remains solid when connected I haven't used it in a couple of detected? hard Urgent! External or being up isn't lighting drive weeks and I think it might have magnets in it because when its working sometimes I swivel it around and it has water in it it doesn't I had it under a light-medium tin that was External hard drive isn't lighting up or being detected? Urgent! aluminum but it was easily half the hard-drives weight When I plugged it in to power everything was fine then I put the USB in it flashed but then my computer didn't let it through Now whenever I try to plug it into any of the jacks I have I doesn't even flash Can somebody help

A:External hard drive isn't lighting up or being detected? Urgent!

Hello Mochan and welcome to Seven Forums.

When you say things like:

Quote:
I have had the occassional problem with it, but now I can't fix it myself.

and

Quote:
I lost it's real power and USB cable, but I have been using substitutes that have been working fine and have been for the whole of this year.

and

Quote:
. . .when its working sometimes I swivel it around and it has water in it (it doesn't.)

it almost sounds like your external hard drive has either died or is about to die. Is it being recognized in disk managment? If you post a screenshot it may help to diagnose the problem.

How To Access Disk Management in Windows 7

How to post a screenshot:

Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Seven Forums

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/231699-external-hard-drive-isnt-lighting-up-being-detected-urgent.html
Relevancy 76.97%

Hey there I have been using the same external enclosure for quite a few months now with no problems at all I bought a new hard drive the other day Western Digital SATA GB WD JD connected it to my PC like a normal HDD and formatted it to NTFS using Stopped Hard Enclosure Being Drive Detected External EASEUS Partition Master Professional I have scanned it for bad sectors via Partition Master and ran chkdsk all concluding with no errors I connected the HDD to the enclosure like normal and External Hard Drive Enclosure Stopped Being Detected it worked for a few times Then last night I tried it and it External Hard Drive Enclosure Stopped Being Detected didn t work I was originally plugging it into the USB External Hard Drive Enclosure Stopped Being Detected port located near the power button so I tried using a USB port on the panel round the back which kind of worked It said it had to be formatted so I tried formatting it but an error arose reading quot The request could not be performed because of an i o device error quot I switched the enclosure off waiting a few seconds then back on again The light was still on and it seemed the same appearance-wise but now it s not being detected in any USB ports on my PC The USB connect quot babum quot sound plays but nothing happens It no longer shows up in any partition software and in Computer Also in Device Manager it s listed under Disk Drives as USB Device with its status being quot This device is working properly quot I connected it to a laptop I got my hands on and the sound plays with it not being recognized It runs Windows the same Windows OS version too and when I go into Create and format hard disk partitions located in Control Panel it asks me to initialize the HDD which I try but then the quot The request could not be performed because of an i o device error quot message comes up again I am able to format it and do whatever with it if it s connected directly to the PC internally but the reason I bought the new HDD was for external use I formatted it to FAT whilst it was connected internally to see if the same results occur and they did Other USB devices work in the ports that the external enclosure doesn t This is the same enclosure as the one I m currently using http cgi ebay co uk - -USB- - -External-SATA-Hard-Drive-Case-Enclosure- pt UK Collectables HardDriveEnclosures RL amp hash item eac e ht wt Any help regarding this would be very much appreciated thanks Specs Windows Ultimate bit Intel Core i GHz Corsair Dominator x GB DDR Dual Channel MHz Asus Radeon HD GB Reference Antec nbsp

A:External Hard Drive Enclosure Stopped Being Detected

It's my experience that enclosures are less reliable than the HDs that we put in them ..
Assuming you get a good brand of HD .. (WD Black series are my favorite)

Sounds like you've tried every thing except try the HD in another enclosure.
For this reason .. I always have a spare enclosure.

And Welcome to the TSG Forum

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-enclosure-stopped-being-detected.955317/
Relevancy 76.97%

Help Very frustrated since I purchased external hard drive Western Digital WD external hard won't hard external Satellite T110 drive Toshiba Pro recognize drive Elements for complete backup as well as a complete Image of Toshiba Satellite Pro T hard drive of GB used -- using purchased NovaStor's NovaBackUp software -- so it can be moved to my next laptop Running Windows Home Premium operating system and all USB ports are fully functional but the software does not recognize a valid drive letter for the WD Elements Also Windows Explorer does not display any drive letter for this external hard drive However Windows plug amp Toshiba Pro Satellite T110 won't recognize external hard drive play worked since this WD Elements external drive appears as a device under Windows Devices amp Printers window when reporting on all peripherals It also reports under Properties as operational no updated device driver available when checked that My ladyfriend Lori has an HP-Compaq laptop which has no issues recognizing this as a valid device with an assigned hard drive letter She has USB ports like my Toshiba Satellite Toshiba Pro Satellite T110 won't recognize external hard drive Pro so the USB ready external drive WD Elements must be compatible with USB Could there be a USB port issue on my Toshiba Satellite Pro involving power volts watts amps that is somehow an issue when plugging in the WD Elements external hard drive If so is a possible workaround to use a Cross Over cable to connect my Toshiba with my friend's HP-Compaq where the external drive is available letter drive there and then use a LapLink software program to allow the computers to sync with each other so I can run the NovaStor NovaBackUp software for full backup amp imaging on my Toshiba thru her HP-Compaq to the external WD Elements external hard drive Any suggestions feedback advice or recommendations would be much appreciated I am a CPA and Enrolled Agent so my accounting career forces me to have some knowledge of personal computers but I am merely a Advanced Basic type with computer technology no geek training or desire to be one but admire geeks very much Thank You

A:Toshiba Pro Satellite T110 won't recognize external hard drive

When connected...is the external drive reflected in Disk Management?

Start/Run...type diskmgmt.msc and hit Enter.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/505633/toshiba-pro-satellite-t110-wont-recognize-external-hard-drive/
Relevancy 76.54%

Hello I need urgent help with resolving this as I am trying to get the harddrive showing up or at least recover files by Hard Portable Drive External Slim detected Seagate PC not I was using it at school first and my computer froze so I shut down the Seagate Portable External Hard Drive Slim not detected by PC computer and restarted without safely removing Seagate Portable External Hard Drive Slim not detected by PC the hard drive at first the PC wouldnt reboot because I had it still plugged in after unplugging it and the PC loaded up it did not recognize the hard drive anymore I have tried it on several PCs including the one at home all using Windows and none of them recognize it I tried all USB ports on my PC and none of them work the light on the hard drive is ON so I know there is no connectivity issue I tried several free trial softwares even the ones by Seagate and none of them recognized the drive so I cannot use their tools for recovering files or detecting the hard drive When I check the Disk Management it does not show there When I check the Device Manager it does not show under USB controllers but it DOES show under Disk Drives I also checked and the drive is up to date The Model is BUP Slim BK In my quick launch the drive is recognized there and gives me the option to Eject it but it doesn t actually Eject it when I click on it it either stop responding or does nothing unless I manually unplug it EDIT After a really long time the Eject message says the device is already in use which is probably why it doesnt Safely eject nbsp

A:Seagate Portable External Hard Drive Slim not detected by PC

I am also having the same problem, as I need to get some stuff off my hard drive but it does not show up on any of it, was just wondering if you had found a way to fix this yet?
Kind Regards

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/seagate-portable-external-hard-drive-slim-not-detected-by-pc.207640/
Relevancy 76.54%

Hello I need urgent help with resolving this as I am trying to get the harddrive showing up or at least recover files I was using it at school first and my computer froze so I shut down the computer and restarted without safely removing the hard drive at first the PC wouldnt reboot because I had it still plugged in after unplugging it and the PC loaded up it did not recognize the hard drive anymore I have tried it on several PCs including the one at home all using Windows and none of them recognize it I tried all USB ports on my PC and none of them work the light on the hard drive is ON so I know there is no connectivity issue I tried several free trial softwares even the by not detected Hard Portable PC External Seagate Slim Drive ones by Seagate Portable External Hard Drive Slim not detected by PC Seagate and none of them recognized the drive so I cannot use their tools for recovering files or detecting the hard drive When I check the Disk Management it does not show there When I check the Device Manager it does not show under USB controllers but it DOES show under Disk Drives I also checked and the drive is up to date The Model is BUP Slim BK In my quick launch the drive is recognized there and gives me the option to Eject it but it doesn't actually Eject it when I click on it it either stop responding or does nothing unless I manually unplug it EDIT After a really long time the Eject message says the device is already in use which is probably why it doesnt Safely eject

A:Seagate Portable External Hard Drive Slim not detected by PC

Did you try SeaTools for DOS ?
Sometimes that works better than SeaTools for Windows.
SeaTools for DOS | Seagate

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/355850-seagate-portable-external-hard-drive-slim-not-detected-pc.html
Relevancy 76.54%

My 320 GB Seagate external hard drive is detected but not showing up in my computer. What should I do?

In cmd> diskpart> list volume it does not show up. (screenshot attached)

In Device Manager it gets detected. (screenshot attached)

In disk management it shows up as 'unallocated'. If I initialize it, will I lose all data on the drive? It had 4 partitions. (screenshot attached)

In My Computer also it does not show up. (screenshot attached)
Even BIOS recognizes it.

What to do? I don't want to lose any data on the drive. If I initialize it in device manager will I lose data?

I was installing window XP on my computer, usually I remove the external drive but this time I did not. The external drive was shown as 4 drives in partition manager during installation. But the installation failed. The next time I was installing windows again, the external drive was shown as 1 single unknown or unrecognized drive. I'm not sure if it was unknown or unrecognized. I'm sure I didn't format it. So what I need to do now? I don't want to lose any data.

A:Seagate external hard drive not showing up in my computer. It is detected.

Yes, if you initialize it you will 'lose' everything. You will want to try something like [email protected] Recovery or maybe Easeus Partition Recovery.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/seagate-external-hard-drive-not-showing-up-in-my-computer-it-is-detected.205926/
Relevancy 75.68%

I have had the same Toshiba external hard drive for years and have never had any problems plugging and using from any machine, mac or pc. I recently had to reformat my hard drives and re-install windows 7, and ever since I have been unable to access my external from this machine. It still works fine on my laptop, and when I plug it in to my tower, it still recognizes that "External USB 3.0" has been plugged in and downloads the drivers. However, the drive appears neither under my computer nor disk management, nor diskpart -> list volume. It does show up in my device manager as USB mass storage but uninstalling the drivers and plugging it back in does nothing. Is there anything I can try before moving all my files off and formatting the drive, and will that even help? Thanks for reading.

A:Solved: External hard drive detected but not under my computer or disk management

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-external-hard-drive-detected-but-not-under-my-computer-or-disk-management.1145526/
Relevancy 75.25%

I see it can be done from an installed to an external, but can it be done in reverse, taking the external cased hard drive and cloning it to an internal? The old hard drive is from an xp laptop, and I can aquire another xp laptop if I can clone this way. Perhaps if I set the enclosure hard drive as master? All ideas are greatly appreciated. Many thanks

A:Clone a laptop hard drive from an external case to an internal hard drive

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/clone-a-laptop-hard-drive-from-an-external-case-to-an-internal-hard-drive.1037757/
Relevancy 73.96%

I have a Toshiba series laptop The hard drive died I just purchased a new one a Samsung quot gig I have physically installed the new hard drive into the laptop I assumed that once I did that all I d have to do was boot from the laptop recovery disk and everything would work itself out I m obviously wrong because this hasn t worked When I turn the laptop on I get the following message Intel UNDI PXE- build Copyright C Intel Corporation PXE-E Media test failure check cable PXE-M F Exiting Intel PXE ROM Insert system disk in drive Press any key when ready Immediately when I turn the computer on I can press F Toshiba in hard laptop New drive to go to the boot selection menu If I choose this I get the following message Select boot device C CD ROM N Network LAN F HDD B Built in HDD D Default system setup device Press C N F B or D I ve tried choosing each option but I just end up getting that other message that I ve typed above Does anyone have any idea what New hard drive in Toshiba laptop I should be doing and if so can you explain it to me in fairly simply terms Or would I be better off just taking the laptop to a store to fix it Thanks in advance grinthumb nbsp

A:New hard drive in Toshiba laptop

You will need to partition and format the new drive in order for the computer to see it. Take it to a computer shop. They will have it up and running quickly for you. Good luck...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-hard-drive-in-toshiba-laptop.73081/
Relevancy 73.1%

I got a used HP off of craigslist, because my Toshiba laptop crashed. I replaced the Hard drive with the one from the Toshiba, but now the CPU thinks it's still a Toshiba! It's trying to look for drives that don't exist, the Bit rate is mixed up, and i can't do certain things because of it! The OS was from the Toshiba, and i'm not sure which specs are contained in the Hard drive. Please help!

A:Toshiba Hard drive specs on HP Laptop

Hello there, It's apparent that you are trying to run the HP machine by replacing its HDD with a third part HDD (Toshiba in this case).However, the computer works best (with all its features and modules) only with the platform that it built on (which includes the operating system as well).Please try to replace it with its geneic HDD and the OS it came with, and check if it works fine.I'm sure there would be no problem after that.  Cheers!

I am an HP employee

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Toshiba-Hard-drive-specs-on-HP-Laptop/td-p/5627025
Relevancy 73.1%

Hi all

I have two questions,
Customer has a Toshiba laptop that her 2 year old knocked off a work surface. Now it wont boot to Windows Vista it goes through the Toshiba POST. She says its making noises and i have heard it screech every now and again.
I am fairly certain shes damaged the hard drive, but does anyone else have any thoughts ?

Following on from that when using my Plexus USB 2.0 to SATA cable in Windows XP Pro i get the USB noise/ping to suggest its found it and it installs the driver, as it says in the windows pop up bubble. However nothing in disk management or explorer. Now is this because the disk is obviously damaged or because i am running XP and the Hard disk is Vista??

I didnt think it should matter as it should be seen as a USD device from my cable

Any comments would be great thanks
John

A:Toshiba Laptop Hard drive issue

its damaged alright,

try sticking it in the freezer overnight and it may work enough to recover data off it, then bin it

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/toshiba-laptop-hard-drive-issue.143185/
Relevancy 73.1%

I have a Toshiba HDD2190 40G hard drive. It was originally for my cpx h500gt dell latitude laptop. I need to know if it is compatible with any other computer. Perhaps a plain dell latitude cpx or any other brands/details? My old computer died, but I have this new hard drive, so I want to find a laptop that is compatible with it. I can use my old computer for some parts. Any information or websites I can look at would be much appreciated!

A:Toshiba HDD2190 laptop hard drive

The drives are fairly standard.

Size limitations are the only thing to worry about, older models may only support up to a 30Gb drive. But even that can usually be fixed with a BIOS update.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/toshiba-hdd2190-laptop-hard-drive.472267/
Relevancy 73.1%

I have a Toshiba satellite 3 yr old lap top, it is a 1805-S274, it runs (home) XP, I have a hard drive (20g)that I want to replace. I have taken out the hard drive, it is on platform or cassette system, where it slides in and out of the laptop computer. It is held in place by 8 screws. Each corner has 2 screws, one placement horizontal and 2nd placement screw is in a vertical position. I have forgotten the placement of the screws and wondered about these as being adjustment screws and how should they be tighted or adjusted for the hard drive before starting the system back up???

A:Toshiba hard drive laptop replacement

A 2.5" laptop hard drive has 4 positions for the screws which can be fixed either from the bottom or from the two longitundinal sides. It looks like yours have them both fixed. There should be no adjustment needed. The disk is finger push fit and retained in position by usually just one screw.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/toshiba-hard-drive-laptop-replacement.298401/
Relevancy 73.1%

Hi I just bought my Toshiba drive new saying TOSHIBA laptop hard failure? satelite L D-S today from Best Buy When I got home I did the basic computer startup and activated my anti virus I was just browsing the web and all of a sudden I started getting error messages come up I restarted my computer and windows recory came up originally there new TOSHIBA laptop saying hard drive failure? were errors and then it successfuly fixed of them but there are still errors that failed to be fixed I also recieved a window popup that said hard drive failure please restart computer Here is what the errors say Hard drive doesnt respond to system commands- critical error Boot sector of the hard drive disk is damaged- critical error Bad sectors on hard drive or damaged filer allocation table- critical error of HDD space is unreadable- critical error Read time of hard drive clusters less than ms- critical errors I have no idea what this means if someone could give me some information that would be great Should I take the laptop back to BEST BUY is there a reason I am experiencing this nbsp

A:new TOSHIBA laptop saying hard drive failure?

Definitely return it to BestBuy for replacement. Not repair but replacement. Best Buy has a fairly good return policy, but I would not let their Geek Squad change a light bulb for me.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/new-toshiba-laptop-saying-hard-drive-failure.992041/
Relevancy 73.1%

Would a hard drive that was in a Toshiba A60 Laptop work in a Toshiba A70 Laptop?

Thanks!

Relevancy 73.1%

Hello
My problem is I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop that will not start, every time I press the start button I can here a clicking noise coming from the hard drive as if its trying to spin but something is stopping it.
Does this mean it is broken and I have to replace the drive or is there something else I can do?
Thanks for any help

Relevancy 73.1%

I have a Toshiba Sattelite L555D-S7930, and something is wrong with the drivers and I don't know which, how am I supposed to use the Recovery Wizard? I've tried holding the 0 key, F8, and all of that. What's up with it?

A:Toshiba Laptop Hard Drive Recovery?

Directions for how to restore the computer to factory defaults are here:

http://www.mytoshiba.com.au/support/items/how-to/230

Make sure everything except your power cord is detached from the laptop before starting. I also make sure my battery is fully charged, just in case.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/toshiba-laptop-hard-drive-recovery.1066289/
Relevancy 73.1%

About months ago my laptop stoped detecting the hard disk So thinking that the disk was faulty I brought a new disk but not from the same brand or size The laptop is an IBM thinkpad ed and the disk was gb in size The disk I brought was a western digital GB disk The guy in the store sayed it didnt matter and that all disks were compatible However my laptops disk came in a cover with a connector that was connected to the pins and drive not laptop by detected Hard the guy at the store adapted the cover Hard drive not detected by laptop and the connector to the new disk I put the new disk in the laptop and tried to fdisk and I got a message saying that there was no fixed disk I Hard drive not detected by laptop also went to the bios and the disk was not detected So I thought that the disk might have not been adapted correctly to the cover and to the conector so is there a link were I can see pictures of how to to properly install the hard disk nbsp

A:Hard drive not detected by laptop

If there is a link showing how to connect a disk to your laptop its probably specific to the make and model of the laptop and the hard disk...
Post your specifications

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-not-detected-by-laptop.504/
Relevancy 73.1%

This is a bit weird Here s the deal drive by one detected new but laptop, not Hard old by I have an older laptop mhz P MB Ram etc call it quot laptop A quot that I use remotely from my school I also have a newer laptop ghz P GB ram etc this will be quot laptop B quot that has broken hinges and a cracked screen I want to take the GB hard drive from the newer one and put it in the older one I took the GB out of laptop B and put it in laptop A Laptop A does not detect the HD at all it shows up as quot no HD quot in Hard drive not detected by old laptop, but by new one the bios Putting the original hard drive back into laptop A works fine and the laptop boots and everything without any problems Putting the GB into laptop Hard drive not detected by old laptop, but by new one B like it was originally and the laptop boots up fine without any problems But taking that HD and putting it into the other laptop and it s not detected at all The HD from laptop A is detected fine by laptop B Why would a HD that works fine in one laptop not be detected at all by a different laptop I don t get how putting laptop A s HD in laptop B is detected fine but the reverse doesn t work Anyone have any ideas or am I stuck with GBs on laptop A nbsp

Relevancy 72.24%

First of all let me simply say quot Thank you quot for even reading this post Should you assist Satellite Hard Drive Toshiba Problem Laptop me in resolving my laptop dilemma I am forever Toshiba Satellite Laptop Hard Drive Problem indebted to you I have a Toshiba Satellite P -S laptop that seems to have a hard drive physical problem I have used this laptop for a few years flying back and forth into the Gulf of Mexico to Oilwell Drilling Ships My Toshiba Satellite Laptop Hard Drive Problem point being the laptop has had some rough handling back and forth in helicopters When I press the PWR button it simply does not boot The laptop system seems to function power lights Num-Lock key illuminates etc All I can make it do is open the IndyseH Setup System via F button I have a GB SanDisk SSD Plus Solid State Drive I could use just for the Operating System if only I could boot the system Is there a software I could install on a flash drive USB to boot with so I can install Win from a CD Or is there an alternative to rescue my original Hard Drive data

A:Toshiba Satellite Laptop Hard Drive Problem

Welcome to the forum. What happens when you turn on does it say no hd or no o/s if you go to the bios does the hd show up there?

http://www.pchelpforum.com/laptop-support/129549-toshiba-satellite-laptop-hard-drive-problem.html
Relevancy 72.24%

We're having a problem with my son's computer hard laptop due drive. won't Toshiba to full boot that we haven't been able to solve or find an online solution He has a Toshiba Satellite L Toshiba laptop won't boot due to full hard drive. with a GB hard drive He was using it to play xBox live using the ethernet connection and after some time he noticed the computer screen was blank with a movable cursor He turned off the computer hoping that the problem would resolve itself when rebooted He shut it down with the power button but when he powered it back on it went to the Windows Error Recovery screen He launched Startup Repair but that resulted in a black screen with the mouse cursor Starting Windows normally brought him back to the Windows Error Recovery Screen after sitting on the quot Starting Windows quot screen for a minute or so Using a Windows install disk to attempt a repair install only brings up the same black screen with the mouse cursor Booting from a Linux thumb drive gives quot error mounting quot message when trying to access the hard drive and says quot a file system wasn't safely closed on Windows quot We've followed the quot Troubleshooting Windows Failure to Start quot guide on this forum and nothing has worked to load or repair Windows until Step Partition Wizard boots and shows the hard drive with partitions A screen image is attached His main partition is full but we can see all of his files when we explore that partition We were able to copy the two smaller partitions to an external hard drive but get an quot out of memory quot error when trying to copy the GB main partition Obviously the full hard drive is a problem and we wonder if the computer may have gone into hibernation and is an additional complication to accessing the hard drive We've thought that if we could delete some files on the hard drive maybe Windows would boot but we can't access the drive to delete them At this point with a full hard drive and seemingly no way to back up his files we're looking for help before trying to make changes to the drive which might further put his data in jeopardy As you may have guessed he has no backup of his important files so we want to make sure we are doing the right thing before we proceed Thanks

A:Toshiba laptop won't boot due to full hard drive.

I would run a chckdsk /f with an installation DVD. You can also pull off stuff from the full drive with a live Linux CD or use that.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/357986-toshiba-laptop-wont-boot-due-full-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 72.24%

Hi my teenage son s Toshiba Satellite Laptop L -S won t boot from hard drive On powering up displays Toshiba logo and allows F to SETUP or F to Boot Menu Does not allow F to Safe Mode Without action screen then goes to black with cursor in Drive Won't Toshiba Hard Boot Satellite Laptop from upper left corner Have tried the following Made Windows repair sik from other computer Will boot from repair disk Repair routine does not find problems Tried to restore to previous good Toshiba Satellite Laptop Won't Boot from Hard Drive restore point - spends much time copying files hard drive seems to be working but still will not reboot Removed hard drive and used EZ-CONNECT to put on USB port on other computer Can see and copy files on hard drive Ran virus scan on hard drive using MALWAREBYTES Found some minor viruses and repaired Reinstalled hard drive tried booting into HDD Recovery mode by powering on while pressing quot quot Displayed quot HDD RECOVERY MODE quot at bottom left of screen but did not do anything Tried the quot remove battery disconnect AC power press power button for seconds quot trick No success So now what The hard drive seems to be okay but it s certainly not booting from there The motherboard seems to be okay since it boots from a repair disk I don t know what to try next Thanks in advance for your help

A:Toshiba Satellite Laptop Won't Boot from Hard Drive

Forgot one other thing I did - while I had the hard drive hooked up to another computer via EZ_CONNECT, I ran chkdsk /f and chkdsk /r on it. Both completed normally with no errors.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/419425/toshiba-satellite-laptop-wont-boot-from-hard-drive/
Relevancy 72.24%

Help! Watching videos on my Laptop when it suddenly froze.
Rebooted the computer then suddenly this appeared

PXE-M0F: EXITING INTEL PXE ROM NO BOOTABLE DEVICE

disabled network boot on bios then this appeared

No Operating system found

Checked BIOS, laptop's hardrive is not detected but cd drive is

Not an expert on computers
running windows 7

A:Laptop hard drive not detected in BIOS

It's very possible your HD is dead.
You can try re-seating it, or test it on another computer via enclosure or USB adapter, but you probably need a new drive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-hard-drive-not-detected-in-bios.156031/
Relevancy 72.24%

Hi all My laptop was working fine with a new replaced motherboard Suddenly one day it showed some problem in processing further when I started it When checked detected laptop Hard drive disk not by being the by a local service guy it was diagnosed that the hard disk had got damaged He couldn t exactly specify the problem but we got to know that the hard disk Hard disk drive not being detected by the laptop was not being detected by the laptop or any other PC or laptop Now when we connect the hard disk with any system laptop it gives a little sound of the fan or the motor or whatever running but then it Hard disk drive not being detected by the laptop stops It is a Samsung make GB one One guy has said that he will try changing the PCB and it may work I jus want to know if it Hard disk drive not being detected by the laptop can be repaired and more than that I have my sister s wedding pics and videos in that with no back up Is there any means by which I can recover those files I don t want anything else Please help I am in trauma nbsp

A:Hard disk drive not being detected by the laptop

Now when we connect the hard disk with any system/laptop it gives a little sound of the fan or the motor (or whatever) running but then it stops.Click to expand...

It is most likely dead, and you'll want to find a recovery service provider, which by the way, are usually quite expensive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-disk-drive-not-being-detected-by-the-laptop.150693/
Relevancy 72.24%

Long story short I had to replace the hard drive in my laptop and now when Laptop by detected Hard not Drive Windows I try to reinstall Windows it doesn t seem to detect the hard drive I ve included a fairly detailed description of my problems below including major specs Any help anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated I have recently been having issues with my HP Pavillion dv Notebook where it would freeze approximately Laptop Hard Drive not detected by Windows every minutes It was found that the hard rive was corrupt and needed to be replaces I replaced the OEM GB RPM Hard Drive with a fully compatible GB RPM Hard Drive both manufactured by Seagate and both quot SATA As my laptop would freeze I was unable to create a recovery disc no original discs came with the notebook and as such ordered Windows Vista recovery discs directly from HP I successfully installed the new hard drive and ran diagnostics first via HP diagnostics by doing a hard drive self test pressing f at startup and then by doing a check with Seagate s Seatools software Both confirmed that the drive is installed and functioning properly I installed the recovery discs Disc one fully installs and instructs disc two to be inserted Disc two is inserted and installs Once I click finish a new screen appears telling me that software is being installed Upon completion of that software installs I receive a message stating quot Please wait while Windows prepares to open for the first time quot Then the screen goes black and nothing happens I have tried to this reinstall approximately times thus far Sometimes I receive a blank black screen sometimes I receive a screen stating quot Operating System Not Found quot or quot No Hard Disk Detected quot The only option I have is to turn off the laptop via the power button When I turn it back on I receive a quot Windows did not shut down properly would you like to open in safe mode normally etc quot screen When I choose to start Windows I receive an error that says along the lines of quot Window was not installed please insert disc to reinstall quot and when I do the process repeats I have also tried to install Windows XP though I am aware is are SATA driver issues and I am unaware how to deal with this and I receive the same message I am told that Windows could not detect a hard drive Something that may be of interest though when I attempt to install XP I am almost immediately told there is no hard drive while when I attempt to install Vista it seems to go through the entire install process lasting up to maybe an hour before it fails Both HP and Seagate cannot seem to find a solution for this problem As I see it the hard drive is installed but when installing windows it will not detect the hard drive Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated Thank you in advance Specs HP Pavillion dv Entertainment Notebook s n CNF WTH Operating System Windows Vista bit I also can install XP Old Hard Drive Seagate quot SATA GB RPM New Hard Drive Seagate quot SATA GB RPM http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E nbsp

A:Laptop Hard Drive not detected by Windows

Observations:
Your new drive is SATA 3.0. Is it compatible with your laptop?
XP usually needs a driver to detect SATA drives (Press F6 to load 3d party drivers)
"Corrupt" Hard drives are often repairable with chkdsk, or even a format.
Maybe a BIOS update?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-hard-drive-not-detected-by-windows.836205/
Relevancy 71.38%

I have a Compaq Presario 2580US Notebook with an operating system Windows XP Home Edition. Previously I installed Windows XP Professional, and then after a few months something happened (I don't know what), and my computer would not operate. I charged up the battery completely and when I went to BIOS Utility to do a self test on the Hard Drive, it said no Hard Drive was detected and there was no IDE. I, then, had a friend look at it, and he pulled out the Hard Drive and noticed two prongs were bent. The prongs were then bent back staright and the drive put in. This still did not fix the problem. It says the command interepreter is missing. Please tell me what to do to fix my harddrive.

A:Restoring a hard drive that is longer being detected by my laptop

You may need to replace the hard drive?

It is hard to imagine just how "prongs could get bent" without some physical event however, so you may need to consider that damage *could* have occured within the laptop if the "prongs" were not just bent by the action of removing the hard drive (most probable) and were therefore not the cause of the original problem.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/restoring-a-hard-drive-that-is-longer-being-detected-by-my-laptop.484389/
Relevancy 71.38%

I need a solution not an opinion. I'm not buying a new hard drive.
My computer turned off today and when I rebooted it, it says "no Bootable devices" F1 to reboot, F2 for utility setup and F5 for diagnostics.
F1 brings me to the same page
F2 I changed some setting but nothing helped.
F5 Ran diagnostics and said "error code 0150" error code 2000-0150 no hard drive detected.
I Also got a suggestion from the computer to "reset harddrive" so I took the hard drive out and dusted inside and put it back inside and it did not work still.

A:No hard drive detected? Find a way to reboot my laptop please.

If you need a recommendation for a replacement drive, please post the system model.
You cannot ask for help, and deny the inevitable - your hard drive has failed and if you want the system running again, you'll need to replace it.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19684301
Relevancy 70.95%

Hello I have a Dell Inspiron laptop I have an image of the entire hard drive that I created when I first got the computer using Acronis TrueImage and I d like to restore that image returning the laptop back to that fresh clean original state I ve done this two or three times before and it worked great each time But now there s a problem Normally I would in boots as when drive external but laptop hard Primary recognized isn't drive used connect to the laptop a USB storage backup drive that has the disk image boot the laptop from a Rescue Media CD created by Acronis then restore that disk image from the back-up drive onto the laptop s HDD When I tried it this time round the laptop s HDD was not listed in TrueImage at all I created a new rescue media disk tried it again and got the same result I then took the HDD out of the laptop connected it to Primary hard drive boots in laptop but isn't recognized when used as external drive an adapter kit that let s you power up and plug in the drive via a USB port and external power supply and tried the same procedure using my desktop to run the operation Same result The drive was not detected by Acronis The drive does not seem to spin up at all Primary hard drive boots in laptop but isn't recognized when used as external drive when it is connected Keep in mind the drive still works when installed in the laptop -- it boots into Windows XP etc When I plug the drive into my desktop the drive does not show up in Disk Management Start Right-click My Computer Manage Disk Management It doesn t show up in either of the two right-side windows so there s no way I know of to format it or do any work on it in Windows When I go to Device Manager Disk Drives I see quot USB Device quot for that drive and under Properties it is listed as quot Disk Drives quot for quot Device Type quot and its status says it is working properly So what I don t get is it works fine when it is in the laptop boots into XP etc but when connected as an external drive or when the laptop is being run off of CD the drive can t be detected and not on just one computer but multiple Is it junk Any ideas nbsp

A:Primary hard drive boots in laptop but isn't recognized when used as external drive

It's a power issue. Had the same issue taking a 2.5" laptop hdd and attempting to hook up w/ a passive usb sata hdd cable. my recommendation is to use a powered usb sata cable. like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812119475 having proper power will allow the USB bus to detect and power the hdd correctly. Hope this helps, take care!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/primary-hard-drive-boots-in-laptop-but-isnt-recognized-when-used-as-external-drive.174938/
Relevancy 70.95%

Hi Called to a friends place he has a toshiba satellite laptop gb intel i gb Says the problem started when he left laptop running ie was in youtube came back and battery ran out He also stated that the top right-front of the laptop was unusually warm after this hard drive area He plugged a c in and ever since then all he and I can get is the message quot for atheros pcie ethernet controller check cable connection pxe-mof existing intel pxe rom no bootable device -- insert book and press any key quot I did searches on this error and mobo? or 'check hard cable drive Toshiba laptop connection' all pointed to hard drive and possibly an incorrect boot order I was able to get into bios and it could see and recognize drive but that s all when I went into chg boot order it was correct I re-seated drive and I tried to get into recovery and after - seconds of loading the laptop freezes I took drive out and have Toshiba laptop 'check cable connection' hard drive or mobo? it hooked up to an usb Toshiba laptop 'check cable connection' hard drive or mobo? external enclosure It has partitions but o s says only gb of data the hidden partition recovery files I assume says gb and the rest is around gb I can t access drive or the data on it so I can pretty much assume it s gone Question I have never seen a drive die so quickly usually gives some warning so could Toshiba laptop 'check cable connection' hard drive or mobo? it be something else like the drive controller on the mobo I know the boot order was correct I don t have a spare drive to try out and if it s the mobo couldn t that fry another drive Thanks alot nbsp

Relevancy 70.09%

I have a Dell xp laptop and try to connect it with a linksys 3000 router to see my external hardrive. I was not able to map networking in my laptop . What seems to be the problem ?
Thanks for your assistance

A:I can't see my external hard drive on my laptop

I'm a little confused. Are you using another computer to seek out the laptop and its external drive?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-cant-see-my-external-hard-drive-on-my-laptop.968020/
Relevancy 70.09%

Hello

I have a question though probably a stupid one.
My question is:
I have a Dell 8100 with XP Pro and what I want to do is play music througn it at parties etc.
I figured I would get a large xternal hard drive to store all the music on and I could play them with windows media player accessing them through the laptop.
Would doing this be like playing them from the hard drive in my laptop?
Would there be lagtime between songs?
Any help would be appreciated.

A:Laptop / External Hard Drive?

Should be fine.
The external drive should show up as a drive under Windows Explorer, and disk access should be adequate for music, even if it was only USB 1.1

Lag time between songs?
Don't understand, your concern should be on lag during songs, when continuous data stream is needed. But it should be OK.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-external-hard-drive.272954/
Relevancy 70.09%

I need to get an external hard drive but can't decide whether to go for something like the Seagate GoFlex models or to buy a 2.5" drive and fit it into an external caddy.

I've discovered via Google that there is no benefit in getting a 7200rpm drive over a 5400rpm one as i'll be using usb 2.0 to transfer data but would a 16mb cache benefit me more than a 8mb one.

e.g Would a 7200rpm 16mb cache drive be a better choice than a 5400rpm 8mb cache drive via usb?

Any help is appreciated .

A:External Laptop Hard Drive

Take a look at this thread it may give you some ideas. I have 2 Seagate Goflex drives and 3 hard drive enclosures. I prefer the enclosures because I get to pick my transfer method and what type and size of hard drive(s) I use. If you have extra drives a dock works great and you can change drives in less than a minute.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/172256-external-laptop-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 70.09%

Dell Inspiron 14 3000 Series
I have this laptop. My question is why would you sell a computer with 32GB hard drive when you know the OS will take up 20GB? How am I supposed to use this computer? I can't upgrade the HD and why should I buy an external drive for a laptop?
I am so utterly confused.
Thanks

A:Can't use laptop because Windows 10 is using 90% of the hard drive, what can I do besides using an external drive?

This isn't a true notebook - it's a glorified tablet/internet appliance.  It's fine as a Windows substitute for a chromebook, but forget running anything demanding on it -- it's designed for a single purpose:  to be inexpensive.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19995393
Relevancy 70.09%

Hi I recently bought a Toshiba Satellite laptop Everything works well apart from the hard Toshiba spin down frequent laptop hard 1110) problem and drive (Satellite up drive which frequently spins down after only seconds of inactivity regardless of the Power Management settings After a short while the HDD must spin back up which causes a second pause in whatever I m doing This can get quite annoying especially when the pauses occur when typing or flicking through menus not to mention playing DVDs This can occur dozens of times a day All settings in PM are set to never switch off the Toshiba laptop frequent spin up and down hard drive problem (Satellite 1110) HDD I ve tried uninstalling Toshiba s PM software and used WinXP Home Toshiba laptop frequent spin up and down hard drive problem (Satellite 1110) s but this made no difference It also makes no difference if the machine is clean from a fresh install from the recovery CDs or running with Service Pack a and all the latest drivers and updates There are no PM settings in the BIOS The spin up down problem is more likely to happen when running the machine on battery power or after bringing it home and running it on AC while the battery is charging Even after the battery is full the HDD will keep spinning down The spin up down problem occurs for or days but then the next day may be fine with no occurences I can t pick a pattern to it Toshiba tech support and technicians in Australia first claimed the problem didn t exist it doesn t always happen therefore demonstrations are a bit difficult and later when they did witness the problem they just installed a new BIOS which was already on the laptop and claimed to fix it The problem reoccurred the next day at which time the Toshiba techs consulted each other and came back claiming that the frequent second idle spinning up down of the drive is a standard feature on all Toshiba laptops I was amazed by their explanation and rejected it outright First they claim it s a fault they try to pass it off as a normal occurence Regardless of that there is no logic in spinning down the hard drive so frequently especially when running on AC power I have been given the run-around for weeks now and am getting tired of it Could the forum members please give their opinions regarding Do you think this is a hardware problem I m getting conflicting reports and Toshiba are denying everything in an attempt to prevent a refund Is this frequent spin up down problem found on other makes and brands of laptops Thank you very much nbsp

A:Toshiba laptop frequent spin up and down hard drive problem (Satellite 1110)

Howdy there Cluster2k...

Not real sure what's going on here at this point...

One thing to check, go into Device Manager-Click on View-Show hidden Devices, there should be a device called NT/AMP Legacy Support, doublclick on it, and you should see NT/AMP Legacy interface node, if it isn't allready disabled try disabling it, and see if it will help...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/toshiba-laptop-frequent-spin-up-and-down-hard-drive-problem-satellite-1110.125983/
Relevancy 70.09%

Hi My friend's laptop Acer Aspire One - Windows x has been shut down after opening an email and Windows never started up again When you attempt to start up the windows it stays the black screen and says quot No bootable Device Found quot - I inserted Windows Live Disk and loaded it Windows XP Mini - Golden Edition When I went to quot My Computer quot it did not show any local drive I went to quot Disk Management quot and in there there was also no unallocated or allocated space - I even removed the HDD and plugged it back in No thing happened Then I removed the RAM card and inserted it back Again nothing happened By in Drive Hard Found No not Disk Device detected laptop bootable - is the way HDD had movements when laptop was Hard Drive Disk is not detected in laptop - No bootable Device Found on I had removed the beneath panel - I inserted Windows Disk to install a fresh Windows But when you get to the part where it asks you to choose the partition to install the operating Sustem it shows one unallocated drive with Zero capacity The options to Delete and format are disable Only the option quot New quot is active and it gives you bite to partition What has happened What should I check do next

A:Hard Drive Disk is not detected in laptop - No bootable Device Found

Sounds like the hard drive is dead. Do you guys have a spare HDD to test with?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/262780-hard-drive-disk-not-detected-laptop-no-bootable-device-found.html
Relevancy 69.23%

i have a wd external hard drive and have been using it for 6 months but now every time i plug it in my computer performs a crash dump showing a blue screen and then restarts please help all my files are on it

A:external hard drive crashes laptop

Firstly I would connect the external to a desktop computer to see if it works well there. If it does, I would copy all the critical files to removable media.

Also if you have access to another Exteranl drive try it on your computer to either rule out the computer as the problem or the external drive. It could also be as simple as a bad USB Cable.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-crashes-laptop.870161/
Relevancy 69.23%

hello i am having trouble with my toshiba external hard-drive. everytime i plug in my external hard drive it causes my laptop to freeze and causes "my Computer" to be "Not Responding". but when i take it out my laptop works fine. what can be the problem with it?

A:External hard drive freezes my laptop

How long have you had the external drive?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-freezes-my-laptop.154031/
Relevancy 69.23%

When I try to add my external hard drive to my old laptop - Win98 - it asks me to reformat it. What can I do about this? Of course - I don't want to reformat it - I'll lose everything!

Relevancy 69.23%

First I apologize if this question has been posted before but I on External hard drive up laptop not showing tried searching on this site for the answer but didn t seem to find one Here is my problem I have a Toshiba Satellite A laptop running Vista Home Premium which has been giving me problems since the day I purchased it After many calls to Toshiba and taking it back to the store of purchase the only answer I get is Format it So after creating the recovery cds I have to back up bazillions of files My brother is letting me use his hard drive which is in a SSK USB enclosure Unfortunately I do not know the make of the hard drive in the enclosure and he is away so I cannot ask him Here is the problem I plug it into the USB port and the laptop makes the sound of finding new hardware and the little icon appears saying quot safely remove hardware quot I click on My Computer and the hard drive is no where to be found I External hard drive not showing up on laptop clicked on Device Manager and I can see it under USB Mass Storage Device I go to Disk Management and I can see it as Disk Unknown Not Initialized I have never connected an external hard drive before so External hard drive not showing up on laptop I m a little scared to Initialize it because I know my brother has lots of files already stored on it and I do not want to erase them I know he did have it connected to his Mac pc and his Macbook so i m not sure if this is what is causing the problem All I want to do is backup my files so I can format this laptop that is causing me such frustration I am thanking in advance to anyone who is willing to help me fix this problem nbsp

A:External hard drive not showing up on laptop

If the drive is formatted to use on a MAC then you will not be able yo use it on an IBM machine.
It will probably be better if you got your own external drive

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-not-showing-up-on-laptop.802955/
Relevancy 69.23%

Hi I drive on and laptop external Virtumonde hard contracted several Trojan Vundo Virtumonde on my laptop--somehow Virtumonde on laptop and external hard drive my firewall was disabled unsure if this was the Trojan's doing or my own accident Then by connecting my friend's WD My Book gb hard drive into the laptop I think I may have transmitted the virus to the hard drive unsure if I did as the laptop denies me access to the drive Then thinking the laptop was the problem I tried connecting the hard drive to my desktop to see if I could access it Now I think my desktop is infected with Vundo as well If there is any more information I can give just let me know Here is the DDS DDS Ver - - - NTFSx Run by Scholar at on Sat Internet Explorer BrowserJavaVersion Microsoft Windows XP Professional GMT - AV Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition On-access scanning disabled Updated Running Processes C WINDOWS system svchost -k DcomLaunch C WINDOWS system svchost -k rpcss C WINDOWS System svchost exe -k netsvcs C WINDOWS system svchost exe -k WudfServiceGroup C WINDOWS system svchost exe -k NetworkService C WINDOWS system svchost exe -k LocalService C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccSetMgr exe C WINDOWS system LEXBCES EXE C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS system LEXPPS EXE C WINDOWS System SCardSvr exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe -k LocalService C Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support bin AppleMobileDeviceService exe C Program Files Intel AMT atchksrv exe C Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exe C Program Files Symantec AntiVirus DefWatch exe C Program Files Java jre bin jqs exe C Program Files Intel AMT LMS exe C WINDOWS system lxdpcoms exe C Program Files Symantec AntiVirus SavRoam exe C WINDOWS system StacSV exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe -k imgsvc C Program Files Symantec AntiVirus Rtvscan exe C Program Files Intel AMT UNS exe c WINDOWS system ZuneBusEnum exe C WINDOWS System alg exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system wscntfy exe C PROGRA SYMANT VPTray exe C Program Files Microsoft Office Office GrooveMonitor exe C Program Files Adobe Photoshop Album Starter Edition Apps apdproxy exe C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe C Program Files Roxio Drag-to-Disc DrgToDsc exe C Program Files CyberLink PowerDVD DX PDVDDXSrv exe C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB rnathchk exe C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE CLI EXE C Program Files SigmaTel C-Major Audio WDM stsystra exe C WINDOWS system igfxtray exe C WINDOWS system igfxsrvc exe C WINDOWS system igfxpers exe C Program Files Zune ZuneLauncher exe C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe C windows ld exe C windows pp exe C Program Files Skype Phone Skype exe C WINDOWS system DL exe C Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy TeaTimer exe C Program Files Lexmark Z Series lxdpMsdMon exe C Program Files WinZip WZQKPICK EXE C Program Files iPod bin iPodService exe C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE cli exe C Program Files Skype Plugin Manager skypePM exe C Documents and Settings All Users Application Data Skype Plugins Plugins CB BA F BE A PamelaPCR exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C WINDOWS explorer exe C Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe C WINDOWS system NOTEPAD EXE C WINDOWS system wbem wmiprvse exe C WINDOWS system notepad exe C Documents and Settings Scholar Desktop dds scr Pseudo HJT Report uStart Page hxxp www library gsu edu uInternet Settings ProxyOverride local lt local gt uInternet Settings ProxyServer http localhost BHO f a - b a- cb- a-f a a c - c windows system hbrxjowf dll BHO Spybot-S amp D IE Protection - f - d - - d f - c program files spybot - search amp destroy SDHelper dll BHO d bec-b d- fb-b b- ba aac - c windows system rwbjkmt dll BHO Java Plug-In SSV Helper bb-d f - c-b eb-d daf d d - c program files java jre bin ssv dll BHO b ba a - f - bd-f - a c - BHO JQSIEStartDetectorImpl Class e e f ... Read more

A:Virtumonde on laptop and external hard drive

Hello! My name is Sam and I will be helping you. In order to see what's going on with your computer I will ask for you to post various logs from the tools that we will use to resolve your issue. Please also share with me any information about how your computer is reacting and behaving each step of the way as we work through this process.Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.alternate download link 1alternate download link 2Make sure you are connected to the Internet.Double-click on Download_mbam-setup.exe to install the application.When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:Update Malwarebytes' Anti-MalwareLaunch Malwarebytes' Anti-MalwareThen click Finish.MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue. If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.On the Scanner tab:Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.Then click on the Scan button.If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to restart your computer. (see Note below)The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts. Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.We need to create an OTListIt2 ReportPlease download OTListIt2 from hereSave it to your desktop.Double click on the icon on your desktop.Click the "Scan All Users" checkbox.Push the "Run Scan" button.The scan should take just a few minutes.Copy the log that opens up and paste it back here in your next reply.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/224076/virtumonde-on-laptop-and-external-hard-drive/
Relevancy 69.23%

I have an acer aspire running xp professional sp I have hard is turning Please help. External laptop. off drive external usb drives A TB and a Gb Its been running fine without any issiues for a couple of years because i stayed offline using my tablet to download things scan them and just bluetooth them to the laptop Then the day before yesterday i got a wireless usb adaptor and it ran fine for the first day I updated avg ran a complete scan with that and spybot and everything seemed great Then for some unknown reason a problem has developed The first thing that happens is the mouse goes sticky and then i hear a noise from one of the drives and the laptop just shuts down without any warning Its not a loud noise as the drives are very quiet and well ventilated Its more like a tinkly noise that is louder than al the rest of the little noises it makes Pictures are very slow to appear as well almost as if its a roller blind being let down very slowly I can give more info as needed Would be grateful of some help Thanks in advance nbsp

Relevancy 69.23%

Hi-We have an older dell latitude laptop that has wndows me on it. I have very limited knowledge on laptops so I hope someone can help me out with this question? Is it possible to hook up an internal hard drive to the laptop and operate it off that hard drive with windows xp rather than using the small hard drive with ME that is currently in the laptop. And if so, then how do I access it once the laptop is on? Thanks for any info!

Wes

A:Hooking up an external hard drive to a laptop

only if your laptop supports BOTH dual boot and USB Device boot. a simpler solution would be to replace the dell laptop hard drive and install XP on it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hooking-up-an-external-hard-drive-to-a-laptop.53350/
Relevancy 69.23%

I need help, customer service sucks. Here's my situation:
1. I have a dell 5150 laptop and want to install an external HD.
2. I purchased the seagate Barracuda 7200.8 HD w/ enclosure. (Model number ST3250823A).
3. When I pluged it in, the computer detected a "new USB device" and then said "their may be problems with the new device".
4. Now when I go to "my computers"-->Manage-->Device manager there is a yellow exlcamition point next to the USB Storage.
5. Also, my computer won't boot up when i have my HD on. My computer will freeze up.
6. The drive does not show up on my computer.

Can anyone please help? I just want to use it as an external hd to store my mp3;s.

A:Help installing External Hard Drive to Laptop

Do you have the jumper set correctly on the drive? External enclosures may have different ways they want the junper set.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-installing-external-hard-drive-to-laptop.43947/
Relevancy 69.23%

Hello All I am interested in purchasing an external preferably USB if this for Need (USB laptop. HELP. backing Hard drive External 3.0) my connection is the fastest non SSD amp Hybrid drive of min GB capacity with continuous auto backup I have External Hard drive (USB 3.0) for backing my laptop. Need HELP. zeroed External Hard drive (USB 3.0) for backing my laptop. Need HELP. down to Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk TB USB External Hard Drive STAC Details are as follows Product Features and Technical Details Size TB Product Features USB plug-and-play Easy-to-use pre-loaded backup software with encryption Includes GoFlex Desk USB adapter with capacity gauge display Use on a PC and Mac computer interchangeably without reformatting World s most versatile external drive - optional GoFlex Desk desktop FireWire USB adapter -Year limited warranty Inside the Box GoFlex Desk external drive backup and encryption software pre-loaded on drive NTFS driver for Mac pre-loaded on drive GoFlex Desk USB adapter base with capacity gauge -foot USB cable power supply quick start guide Streamlined design complements any workspace Technical Details Brand Name Seagate Model STAC Warranty year limited Hard Disk Description External Weight pounds Before I purchase I am looking for a longer warranty HDD - say Yrs But have not found one yet What is the max warranty on a hdd these days and which one has the longest warranty Any suggestions - brand wise or capacity wise Thanks a LOT nbsp

Relevancy 69.23%

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me if there is such a device that allows you to connect a laptop hard drive up to a desktop or another laptop to retrieve data? The laptop hard drive in question is partitioned into C: and D: and the client has data on D: drive that he would like to save if possible (laptop won't boot up to recover the data). I have tried reimaging the laptop twice (C: drive only) but it's failed both times. Reimaging is not an option now so I'd like to try and recover the data another way. No matter how many times I tell these people to back up their data to the server, it never seems to sink in...

Hoping someone can help?