Windows Support Forum

Local Area Connection 169.254.xxx.xxx

Q: Local Area Connection 169.254.xxx.xxx

So I realize that this is my computer telling me that it is not getting a connection to the internet So here is a basic diagram of my setup ISP---- gt Cable Modem----- gt New Splitter---------- gt Asus wifi router working --------- gt Desktop IP also connected to wifi My ISP is Charter Com via a Cable Modem From there I go into a TRENDnet ethernet switch splitter From there I have cable that goes to my desktop one cable to goes Area Local Connection 169.254.xxx.xxx to the upper floor to the wifi router Asus RT-N U The router is working fine and I am currently connected to it I have replaced the TRENDnet Switch every ethernet cable except to Asus wifi router This is where it gets stupid I can disconnect the TRENDnet switch and plug in my Desktop with the IP and it works I have researched this topic via forums for the past month and a half and now after fresh installing windows would like to try and get some input of what other might think is going on I am out of options I Local Area Connection 169.254.xxx.xxx had this setup for quite some time with wired and wifi Local Area Connection 169.254.xxx.xxx but just all of a sudden about - months ago after moving my desk and plugging it all in again it stopped working Here is a text format of Ipconfig of my LAC Configuration for interface quot Local Area Connection quot DHCP enabled Yes IP Address xxx xxx Subnet Prefix xx mask InterfaceMetric DNS servers configured through DHCP None Register with which suffix Primary only WINS servers configured through DHCP None As I said I am now running a fresh install of windows with no Bonjour program on it I have released renewed and about other CMD commands that I could think of The internet options for this adapter are set to obtain automatically I have ran about every malware program I can think of So any help would be greatly appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Local Area Connection 169.254.xxx.xxx

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Local Area Connection 169.254.xxx.xxx

Hmm why the splitter BEFORE the router - - that's not the correct way to add a second router

Code:
isp==primary router --- existing PC
to add a second router:

Code:
isp==primary router --- existing PC
|
+--- new router

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection-169-254-xxx-xxx.203909/
Relevancy 76.97%

Hello Please help I have been trying to quot fix quot this issue on my laptop IP Valid Con Area Connection/Wireless a Have Local Solved: Network Connection Doesn't for the past month on and off I have been using other sources to access the internet reading up on resolutions on this issue and all kinds of forums I am knowledgeable but not able to understand some of the fixes and terms that I have come across I feel like I ve tried everything and still I cannot access the internet on my PC wired or wireless I have a Toshiba Satellite L -GS I tried to release amp renew my ipconig Solved: Local Area Connection/Wireless Network Connection Doesn't Have a Valid IP Con Please see below for ipconfig Please help C windows system gt ipconfig release Windows IP Configuration No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media disconnected Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Link-local IPv Address fe c ee b d Default Gateway Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Tunnel adapter isatap hsd nj comcast net Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Tunnel adapter isatap D E -E CD- F - -AE A Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix C windows system gt ipconfig renew Windows IP Configuration An error occurred while renewing interface Wireless Network Connection unable to contact your DHCP server Request has timed out No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media di sconnected C windows system gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name jpharvey -PC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Realtek RTL SE Wireless LAN n PC I-E NIC Physical Address - -B -B -B - DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe c ee b d Preferred Autoconfiguration IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Default Gateway DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - - C- C- - - - C- C- -E DNS Servers fec ffff fec ffff fec ffff NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller Physical Address - - C- C- -E DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap hsd nj comcast net Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap D E -E CD- F - -AE A Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes nbsp

A:Solved: Local Area Connection/Wireless Network Connection Doesn't Have a Valid IP Con

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-local-area-connection-wireless-network-connection-doesnt-have-a-valid-ip-con.1016512/
Relevancy 76.97%

I have a Windows 7 Home Premium computer that is not connected to the internet. I have checked the drivers and they are all installed correctly and operational. When I go into the adapter settings there is no Local Area Connection adapter. I have included some screen shots of what I am seeing if they help.

-Chris

A:Local Area Connection missing from network adapters, no connection

Welcome to the Seven Forums.

In that computer management window (while Device Manager is selected in the left pane), select View from the menu bar. Then uncheck View hidden devices. Do you see any Network adapters now?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/295663-local-area-connection-missing-network-adapters-no-connection.html
Relevancy 76.97%

XPS 8700, Windows 7, using an Ethernet cable.
The Internet Access icon (in the system tray) will display a red X, then the icon will show spinning, then the icon will appear normal. It takes about 10-seconds for the entire process to occur.
During this time, connectivity to the Internet is lost. I'm using an Ethernet cable to connect.
Typically, it occurs when I'm asking for lots of data rapidly (e.g., flipping through online photos quickly or streaming a large video).
It always fixes itself. But, it's disruptive to my surfing... and annoying.
How might I fix this? Thanks.

A:Red X, Local Area Connection, Loses Connection, Spins, Reconnects

You might get a better response if you re-post this in the Networking forum.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19992327
Relevancy 76.11%

Ok so I've looked around this forum and other forums for how to get back the Local area connection and i get stuck. In the Network Connections, I only have "1394 Net Adapter" and no Local Area Connection. What's going on. They say make sure in the device manager it is not disabled. But I only have the 1394 Net Adapter driver in the Network Adapters. Where is my local area connections driver ? Its not there !

I have a clear modem (CPEi 25150) and a D-Link wireless router (DIR-601) and they are connected and set up. It all worked fine before I reset my PC back to factory settings and wiped out everything, but now this happens and I can't get on the Internet. Help ?

A:Local Area Connection missing and no Internet Connection.

Hello,

Have you tried going to "Add hardware" in control panel?

Start -> Control Panel -> Add Hardware -> Click next, and it should detect the network adapter is connected to your computer but hasn't been installed and it should install it for you.

Post back here with results aswell

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-area-connection-missing-and-no-internet-connection.1009995/
Relevancy 76.11%

I have used boot amp nuke to wipe clean an older XP desktop Then I used the XP installation disk to get going to the basic installation that enables the computer to function The plan is to get the network card working and then use updates and auto-detect to configure the remaining drivers I have done this with some success on a couple of other older XP machines previously I opened the case and worked out that the board is an Intel D PERL By going to the Intel website on another machine I have downloaded the network card drivers copied it to a USB stick and then transferred the drivers to the machine being re-built They all appear to have installed correctly - when I go to device manager it says that the quot Intel R PRO CT Network Connection quot is working properly When I go to Network Connections it says that the Local Area Connection is enabled But in the details pane it reports the following IP Address Subnet Mask Assigned by DHCP I have cross referenced the network configuration against another but address and IP Local enabled Area connection no no Connection XP machine and confirmed that the TCP IP properties are configured to obtain IP address automatically etc ipconfig all in the command prompt reports the following Windows IP Configuration Host Name stratus Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Broadcast IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Intel R PRO CT Network Connection Physical Address - C-F - - B- Dhcp Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IP Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway DHCP Server Clearly I cannot get any connection to the internet I do not believe I would need to do any configuration of the home network itself because Local Area Connection enabled but no IP address and no connection it is Local Area Connection enabled but no IP address and no connection configured to be as vanilla Local Area Connection enabled but no IP address and no connection as possible too And the other computers connect to it fine Is there a step I am missing Have I installed the drivers incorrectly Any assistance much appreciated nbsp

A:Local Area Connection enabled but no IP address and no connection

IP addresses of all zeros are normally caused by one of the following.

Diagnosis:
DHCP Service not running.
Duplicate IP address on the network.
Bad NIC card drivers.
Defective NIC hardware.

Resolution:
Check Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services. The DHCP Client service should be Started and its Startup Type should be Automatic.

Turn off ALL of the computers and other network connected devices, restart (power cycle) the router, then restart all the computers and other network devices.

Check for upgraded drivers and/or reload the Network drivers.

Replace the Network Interface Card.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-area-connection-enabled-but-no-ip-address-and-no-connection.892626/
Relevancy 76.11%

I was just wondering what the 1394 Connection icon was next to my Local Area Connection 2 icon in the Network Connections folder on Windows XP. Could I somehow connect thru that? Also it is enable and says I am connected however there is 0 packets being sent and received? Should I disable this or does it matter?

A:What is the 1394 Connection icon next to my Local Area Connection 2?

You can disable it if you want. This is for your Firewire port on your PC/Laptop you can use this to interconnect between 2 firewire controllers that support this function. Its just another form of computer connecting like Ethernet, and wireless. and USB. and COM port.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/what-is-the-1394-connection-icon-next-to-my-local-area-connection-2.434766/
Relevancy 75.25%

I recently was uninstalling games in Control Panel- Programs and i deleted my local area connection thing so I can't connect to my comcast modemn to my computer. How do i get it back?

A:Local Area Connection

Check Device Manager (Start...type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter) - are there any problem devices listed there?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/local-area-connection-495481.html
Relevancy 75.25%

Well ive just come from the OS department and re-installed windows.
Problem is, everthing is default. I have no nore ''local area connection'''or ''wireless connection'' tabs anymore in the network connections folder.
Ive tired our ISP cd, no good.
Can i pls get any assistence in seting these up again like i had on my previous setup. This problem has me baffled.
thankyou in adance!!

Relevancy 75.25%

I just installed a new XP Home on my Dell laptop.

My main destop in connected to the internet via Cox. However, I can't connect to the internet on my laptop. I have run a cable from my desktop to another room and connected to a D-Link. I used a DP-G310 by D-Link. But know it does not light up. Does this mean the D-Link is broke and should be replaced.

I get the message "A network cable is unplugged."

How do I correct this? Thanks.

A:Local area connection

Hi bfburton99

You may have connected to the wrong networking device. The DLink DP-G310 is a print server, and not a router (of course, you plug printers into print servers). Here's a link to information about the DP-G310 --- http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=DP-G310&tab=3 ---

It's also possible that perhaps you just copied the wrong numbers.

Cox will have provided you with a cable 'modem' at the least, or with one of the newer "residential gateway" devices (these combine the duties of a cable 'modem' and a router in one box). You'll want to connect your Cat5/Cat53/Cat6 ethernet cable from your PC to a "LAN" port on either your residential gateway (if you have one), your router (if you have one), or directly to the cable 'modem'.

Once connected to an active port, you should be able to access the Internet using your favorite browser. Make sure you have a firewall active & an antivirus program installed before connecting.

Best of luck
. . . Gary

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/local-area-connection-522452.html
Relevancy 75.25%

I recently had wireless internet hooked up at my home so I can use my laptop. I tried to set it up with Verizon but I couldnt connect to the internet. Verizon told me I had no 'local area connection" how do I go about getting one or installing it?

A:local area connection

what modem or router have you got to access the internet

Are you paying Verizon for a broadband connection , if so how is this supplied by telephone or cable ?

make and model of the PC
what windows version are you running

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-area-connection.1089698/
Relevancy 75.25%

I can't seem to see my local area connection in my Network Connections folder. I did ipconfig / all in command prompt and it came up with this.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : D7LL4Y1J
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : Belkin

Ethernet adapter {C0EB7506-A502-45B3-8EB0-6544D6E0CE38}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : TAP-Win32 Adapter V9 - Packet Schedu
ler Miniport
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-FF-C0-EB-75-06

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Belkin
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connecti
on
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-20-BE-F9-5F
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.2
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 19 September 2009 18:33:01
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 19 January 2038 04:14:07
Could some one help me? I dont know whats happened it was just like this when i started my pc today.
Thanks

A:Local area connection has gone.

What do you see in the network connections folder? There is a good connection to your wired network.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-area-connection-has-gone.862139/
Relevancy 75.25%

I have Windows XP on my computer. On the control panel when I click Network Connections/Local Area Connection I see that my Local Area Connection is disabled. When would I click Enable and when would I click disable as to my Local Area connection? Thank you very much. Murrar

You only need the LAN conn if your not using your Broadband conn or if on the move and in a wifi hotspot.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/298194/local-area-connection/
Relevancy 75.25%

I shut down my computer a few days ago and when I restart it does not connect. I get the following statement, " Local area connnection unpluged via Rhine II Fast Ethernet. However I also get "1394 Connection Connected.
Thus I am able to use my laptop. Any suggestions?

Thanks

sounds as if the 1394 adapter (used for Firewire) got bridged to your LAN adapter.

checkout the properties of both in View Network Connections.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection.81986/
Relevancy 75.25%

I built a computer about a month ago and after a day or two of troubleshooting got all the hardware and software working Even the local area connection internet was working using vista bit Then a week ago I moved to a different apartment and plugged it in but no internet So I figured it might just resolve itself and was a weird bug but it persisted I installed windows bit and got the same problem The local area connection either shows quot A cable is unplugged quot or if I change it to mb Full Duplex it shows quot Limited or no Connectivity quot Recently Local Area Connection I bought windows xp bit and still after two installs it is doing this Things I have tried -the netsh reset thing -the ipconfig renew thing -uninstalling ipv -installing and uninstalling all of the hardware drivers one by one Local Area Connection -switching cables important note- If I haven t installed the ethernet driver my computer detects the network card as a controller and doesn t have the local area connection problem And the cable when connected to my laptop works fine Also my college uses dhcp Heres my ipconfig all- node type- unknown ip routing enabled- no WINS proxy enabled- no Physical Address DHCP Enabled- Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled- Yes IP Address- Subnet Mask- Default Gateway- DHCP Server- thanks nbsp

Vista has caused many of my clients computers problems when it came down to drivers (especially networking).

The best cause of action is to download the correct vista driver pack for your current addapter and put it on a cd or usb stick. Then remove the network addapter using device manager and restart your computer - when it asks for driver location on restart just press cancel. Then run the relevant driver pack you previously download and hopefully this will sort out your problem.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-area-connection.851688/
Relevancy 75.25%

I just re-installed XP on my computer. And now under network connections there is no 'local area connection'. I've tried creating a new connection but can't seem to get the internet up and working.

Please help!

Relevancy 75.25%

My desktop computer has been unable to connect to the internet. It is wired, but there is no icon in the network connections window. The cable works on other computers, just not this one. In device manager there is no network adapter for it. Also, there is a code 12 error with COM1. When i enter the ipconfig /all command the only thing that shows is "Windows IP Configuration". Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

A:No Local Area Connection

If there's no network adapter showing in Device Manager then the adapter is most likely faulty and will have to be replaced with a new one (ie a new network card which fits into a PCI or PCI-Express slot depending on whichever type of slot your PC has).

The code 12 error on COM1 is a separate issue:

Code 12
This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system. (Code 12)
Cause

This error can occur if two devices that are installed on your computer have been assigned the same I/O ports, the same interrupt, or the same Direct Memory Access channel (either by the BIOS, the operating system, or both). This error message can also appear if the BIOS did not allocate enough resources to the device.

Recommended resolution

You can use the Troubleshooting Wizard in Device Manager to determine where the conflict is, and then disable the conflicting device.

Disable the conflicting device

1. On the device Properties dialog box, click the General tab.
2. Click Troubleshoot to start the Troubleshooting Wizard. The wizard asks you some simple questions and provides a solution to your problem based on the answers that you provide.
3. Follow the resolution steps provided by the wizard to resolve the problem.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/no-local-area-connection-596667.html
Relevancy 75.25%

Hi, I have a fujitsu laptop,,,,which I used to use which my modern via local arena connection,,,but 1 day my friend did something to it and now when I connect the jak the pc does not connect?????now I can't see local area network on my network places,,What happens how can I get it back to work. Br gsmnikki

A:Local area connection help

If you can't see the LAN connection listed under Network Connections, your friend probably uninstalled the driver.

1) Open Device Manager. Do you see the network adapter? Rt click and uninstall
2) Now go to the support site for your computer (e.g. Dell, HP, ASUS, etc) download the network driver and reinstall it

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection-help.139474/
Relevancy 75.25%

Newbie here.
Someone call tell me what happen??i cannot see Local Area Connection (see picture below)
but i can access internet.why this happen..virus or what.tqvm 4 feedback

A:Cannot see Local Area Connection

Can you get to Network Connections when you click "Change Adapter Settings" in upper left part of Network and Sharing Center?

Scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware free if you are concerned.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/371281-cannot-see-local-area-connection.html
Relevancy 75.25%

Hey guys, I just reinstalled XP on my laptop and I tried to connect to the internet with a cable modem and when i looked the local area connection wasnt there. I dodnt have any connection and i am using a router. I tried the Connection Wizard and tried to make a new home/small office connection but that didnt work eather.

Relevancy 75.25%

New to the forums, try to bear with me please...
I upgraded from windows xp home edition to XP pro x64 today. Upon finishing the install I was unable to connect to the internet. This brought me to discover I have no local area connection under my Network Connections, just the 1394 connection. I have tried adding a new connection, and installing motherboard drivers from the cd. The mother board is a nForce 680i SLI socket 775. I'm kinda coming to a loss here, but am left to believe maybe it has something to do with the x64... I had checked the device manager as well, and the only network adapter present lists as the 1394...

A:No Local Area Connection

You'll need to get a x64 driver for your Network Connection adapter

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/no-local-area-connection-184270.html
Relevancy 75.25%

Please,

i need detailed instructions how to connect two pc-s with lan cable
so i can play in network and browse on net with both..? Thanx

A:Local Area Connection Help

get a router. plug cable or dsl modem into WAN or Internet port of router. plug both computers into router's switch.

you may need work on IP settings and firewall settings before everything is working properly, but let's start there.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/local-area-connection-help-394716.html
Relevancy 75.25%

I got my Local Area Con to work in this few days, connecting two of mine pc-s with cable and both of them got internet now...

Problem is:

on my first pc wich have direct conection to a modem, in My Network Places, where are shared data folders from both machines.... both shared data folders are in "THE INTERNET" Category, while on my other machine are separeted in two categories "Local Network" - PC without modem and "The Internet" - PC with modem or direct link to internet.

Here are the Screenshots:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/local-area-connection-397654.html
Relevancy 75.25%

hi, ive got virgin media broadband, but i cannot get it to work properley, the only way i can get online is when i detach my telephone adaptors and attach the computor on its own, have phoned virgin many times, bought new telephone adaptors, and yes ive had the adsl filter in the phone socket first, i get the message local area connection network cable unplugged, my broadband modem is lighting up properley, please can you help a complete novice aged 69 with a very angry wife. thanks

Well, from the description, you appear to have phone wiring issues, or you're missing a filter someplace in the house. A defective filter could also cause this.

Disconnect ALL the phone equipment of any kind and connect the modem. Make sure it's working normally. Then, connect one phone (with filter) at a time until it stops. Try a new filter first to see if it's just a defective filter at that point.

If all else fails, this is my fix for poor interior wiring.

Purchase a DSL splitter and install it at the telco service entrance. Run a direct line from the DSL port on the splitter directly to the DSL modem. Connect all of the other phone instruments to the telephone output of the DSL splitter. All of the DSL analog side wiring should be CAT3 or better twisted pair from the telco service entrance to the DSL/ADSL modem. You can use one of the twisted pairs in CAT5 cable if you have that on hand.

This is as good as it gets for DSL installations, and will usually solve in-house wiring issues.

Here's a good detailed description of the process: DSL Wiring Upgrade Tutorial

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-area-connection.679743/
Relevancy 75.25%

I have tried everything the wireless on my laptop (Dell Inspiron) works fine but with Ethernet cable I CANT log on i've tried every ipconfig release,renew but it keeps coming up Media State ..............................Media Disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix

Help please

Vic

Have you tried another Ethernet cable, maybe the one you have is bad, what do you connect to, is it a router or modem and who is your ISP ?

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/208802-local-area-connection.html
Relevancy 75.25%

When i am on the internet sometimes the connection will give out and the only way to get back on the internet is to reset the Local Area Connection, its getting really annoying like once every hour, how can i fix this?

Please supply the following info, exact make and models of the equipment please.

Name of your ISP (Internet Service Provider).
Make and exact model of the broadband modem.
Make and exact model and hardware version of the router (if a separate unit).
Model numbers can usually be obtained from the label on the device.
Connection type, wired or wireless.
If wireless, encryption used, (none, WEP, WPA, or WPA2)
Version and patch level of Windows on all affected machines, i.e. XP (Home or Pro), SP1-SP2-SP3, Vista (Home, Business, Ultimate), etc.
The Internet Browser in use, IE, Firefox, Opera, etc.

Please give an exact description of your problem symptoms, including the exact text of any error messages.

If you're using a wireless connection, have you tried a direct connection with a cable to see if that changes the symptoms?
For wireless issues, have you disabled all encryption on the router to see if you can connect that way?
Have you connected directly to the broadband modem to see if this is a router or modem/ISP issue?
If there are other computers on the same network, are they experiencing the same issue, or do they function normally?

On any affected computer, I'd also like to see this:

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD (COMMAND for W98/WME) to open a command prompt:

Type the following commands on separate lines, following each one with the Enter key:

PING 206.190.60.37

PING yahoo.com

NBTSTAT -n

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-area-connection.823969/
Relevancy 75.25%

this problem is on my other computer. im using comcast high speed internet.
i have wireless internet going from my desktop and my laptop.
on my desk top it says im connected to my router but can not find internet connection.

i have talked to comcast and they say that it is a problem with my router. but i have eliminated the rounter and hooked straight up to my pc and it still does not work.

also on my network connections i have a wireless connection but my local area connection is gone. could my netwrok card be bad???

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-area-connection.639122/
Relevancy 75.25%

ever since today my computer started having this error message saying network cable unplugged or something. my computer can't shut down. everytime i shut it down it restarts back up. the only way to shut it down is to shut the power. please help! internet doesnt work too.

A:local area connection help

If you have a PCI NIC,here are some possibilities -

Faulty NIC.
Poor connection between your NIC and the cable.
Poor connection between the cable and the hub/router/switch/modem.
Faulty cable.
Faulty hub/router/switch/modem.

Look in the Device manager.Does any network component have a yellow symbol next to to it ?

Try moving the NIC to another PCI slot,then restart the computer.
Windows should reinstall it.

Buy another NIC

System restore.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection-help.48976/
Relevancy 75.25%

my local area connection starts when vista starts up before i had to start my sympatico internet now its always on how do i stop lac from starting up when i start my comp now i dont need to start my sympatico internet to go on line i dont use local area connection to conect to internet ty any help would be great thank you

Relevancy 75.25%

Win7 home Premimum 64bit
It started with a trojan which is removed but it left a couple of problems. Here is the last one.

Device manager shows my lan card. I've tried uninstalling it but its uninstall app hangs...no messages just never finishes.

Network Connection in control panel comes up blank, nothin, nada under manage network connections.

Is there a netsh option that will rebuild the winsock/lan card interface?

A:no local area connection

Have you tried simply disabling and re-enabling the device in the device manager?
control panel - system - device manager - network adapters

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/172401-no-local-area-connection.html
Relevancy 75.25%

Hi,
how do I restore the local area connection in my windows xp?

Thanks,
Gilbert

Did you plug the ethernet cable in?

That's a very general question with a ton of possible answers. Please provide some more details if you want us to help.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/local-area-connection-489867.html
Relevancy 75.25%

I have a New Seanix Seanote laptop and every morning I have to reboot the computer 3 to 4 times to get a "Local Area Connection" to the internet. Under My Network Places then "Properties" I do not see a Local Area Connection until I reboot a few times.
There is another connection there call a "1394 Connection" but no "Local Area Connection"
Does anyone have any idea's I have already reinstalled the drivers for the on board Nic.

The 1394 connection is firewire, Not having a Local Area Connection though, is a problem ...Take your Laptop back to the shop ...get them to fix it ...it's new , therefore under warranty .

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-area-connection.359870/
Relevancy 75.25%

Hi ^^

I download a lot of anime, music and stuff like that. In the process, I downloaded a couple trojans. I ran a program called Trojan Hunter and it cleared them out. Unfortunately, it also cleared out whatever it is that connects me to the internet.

I figured I would just reformat and call it good. So I saved all my work and went on with it. Once I got all the drivers installed and the programs I need back on, I tried to connect to the internet. No dice. I'm not sure what happened or what I need to do to get back online. I tried the "ipconfig /all" in the cmd, but I get:

"Windows IP Configuration"

And that's it. I tried switching cables with the laptop, reset the router and modem, and still nothing. Any ideas as to what I might be forgetting?

Thanks for your help ^^;

-Niko

Relevancy 75.25%

hello, im trying to create a network bridge so i can connect to xbox live using my laptop but there is no local area connection icon or anything. im running a SONY VAIO VPCCA1S1E/G with windows 7 home premium 32 bit, how can i get the icon or something to make it work? help is appreciated :)

A:no local area connection help please!

Hi thefirstandlast, on your windows 7 pc, click on the windows orb/start menu, type in network and sharing center, press enter, then click on "change adapter settings" on the left side. Do you see a "Local Area Connection" there? If so, right click it and make sure it is enabled. You can make sure it is enabled by seeing it has the option to disable.

It might be missing from your taskbar. To see if this is the issue, right click your taskbar, and click properties, then click on Customize under the notification area section of the Taskbar tab. Make sure the "Network" icon has the behavior set to show icon and notifications.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/no-local-area-connection-help-please-610106.html
Relevancy 75.25%

Hi. i have a acer aspire 5720 running vista 32bit. i recently got a new router. all the other computers in the house can access the internet but i cannot and im not sure why. I have the internet with virgin media with a netgear router.
I saw a error sign by the 6to4 adaptor driver and while trying to follow some advice on another forum deleted it and now i cannot get it back, but im not even sure if that was the problem.
This is the computer info. can someone please help?
Thanks

[IMG=http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/5576/computerinfo.jpg][/IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

A:Local area connection only

is your wireless card listed in device manager? start > type device manager in the search box, click on it in the menu > click the + sign @ network adapter ...is there a wireless card there?

can you connect wireless anywhere else ?

have you tried to renew the ip address ? http://support.cox.com/sdccommon/as...sprt_cid=b1a9abba-cdb2-4a16-bfd3-64465f4612e2

doe the internet work with an eathernet cable ?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-area-connection-only.974116/
Relevancy 75.25%

I am trying to connect to a router and it just wont' connect. "network cable unplugged"

when I connect my laptop to the router, it connects just fine.

both machines are pretty much identical in TCP/IP config.

I am so frustrated....I don't know what the problem is

Thanks

Relevancy 75.25%

I keep getting this pop up from my Zone Alarm stating that I have a Local Area Connection Unplugged? Does anyone know what this means? Is someone getting into my system?

Please help

Relevancy 75.25%

Let me tell you a bit about my set-up. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate and my internet connection is via a Bt homehub.
My problem is every time I start up my PC I don't have internet connection.
The only way to get it is to go to local area connection and disable it, then go back in and enable it and then I have internet access.
I have taken screen shoots of whats happening.
Not sure if the file has uploaded so sorry if you don't see it. New to this site so having to get used to it.

Alan

Can any one see the word file I attached as I can't.

Alan

Assuming that's a wired and not wifi connection.

Before you boot, disconnect from the BT and let the system present the desktop, then
connection to the BT, wait 30sec and you should have a connection.

Your Firewall should be left active

Like to see the View Connections, but copy the text from this and past into your follow-up:
start->Run->enter IPCONFIG /ALL

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection.156433/
Relevancy 75.25%

My damn computer (as i'm typing) says in a pop up in the lower right corner Local Area Connection - "A network cable unplugged" for a sec and goes away and it's slowing down my computer ! Whats the cause of this?

A few things can cause this. They include:
Poor connection between your NIC and the cable.
Poor connection between the cable and the hub/router/switch/modem.
Faulty cable.
Faulty NIC.
Faulty hub/router/switch/modem.

My suggestion is to make sure its properly pushed in on both ends, and if it continues get another cable.

I have moved this thread from Distributed Computing to Storage and Networking, please post threads in the proper forum in the future.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection.41670/
Relevancy 75.25%

ok so about 6 months ago one of my friends went on my computer and messed it up, pretty bad. i have a dell dimension 3000 with windows xp. and my internet (dsl) always goes on and off but not on the router (all the lights are green all the time) its the little icon with the two computers in the taskbar. its on for exactly 21 seconds then goes off for 3 seconds then back on and etc...
i have been trying to fix it for along time but i really need help because it makes everything internet related very hard. so if anyone can please help i would really appreciate it

ohh and one more thing, when i start my computer the first thing that comes up is a message telling me to find photogallery or something and im confused so if you know what to do please get back.
-thanks alot guys

Relevancy 75.25%

hello every one
I have problem can any one help me please
i havn't (Local Area Connection ) in network connection in my computer why ?
what I must to do to make (Local Area Connection)?
thanks for any help

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pr...serv/reskit/prork/prcg_cnd_utxq.mspx?mfr=true

the link might help

joan

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-area-connection.688211/
Relevancy 75.25%

Hi I have have a new icon shortcut added to my Network Connections folder This has never been there and I m seeking some support help info about this Where to start I m running Win Xp home Sp Athlon SB Audigy ATI everything is up to date software wise my comp is about years old I m having no problems with it s operation Havent installed any new hardware Area Local ??? ... 2 Connection in years I ll also add I have not just made any MS updates so I know that didn t have any thing to do with the changes It s been Local Area Connection 2 ... ??? a couple of months I m behind on updates I m using a dial up modem nothing else avail for my area I frequently use the Windows Task manager via Ctrl Shift Esc Due to the dial up configuration sometimes things are slow so I Local Area Connection 2 ... ??? ll bring up the task manager and view the Networking Tab To verify that I am actually networking via the internet Such as when uploading email with an attachment of good size it takes a while So I ll click the bring up the Task manager and view the Local Area Connection 2 ... ??? Neworking screen to make sure things are transmitting sorta speak Yesterday about noon I did this very thing When the Task manager came up displaying the networking screen I had Two screens Where before there was just the one screen and it was for my internet connection and it displayed my provider name and showed the graph relating to network traffic Just as it should The one screen was now in two parts upper and lower The upper screen now displayed Local Area network Connection Status Opernational I thought what s this I then went to my Control Panel opened Network Connections and sure enough I had a new icon shortcut for Local Area Connection Before there had only been one icon labled with my providers name Now there are two The new Icon which looks the same as the other says Microsoft TV Video Connection seems to be connected and functioning via it s properties Properties shows it to have the same configurion as my Dialup connection Which are Client for Microsoft Networks and Internet Protocol TCP IP I did not install this nor configure this It seems to have been automatically installed in my quot Network Connections Folder quot Sence I have never had any apparent need for this due to I have no need for any Network connection as a local entity I tried to remove it Right click and you see the options for Disable Status Repair I thought at least if this is some kinda invasion I ll just disable it Nope Disable wouldnt work I got this mesg when trying to disable It is not possible to disable the connection at this time This connection may be using one or more protocols That do not support Plug-and-Play or it may have been initiated by another user or the system account Sence this is a local Network connection disconnecting my modem connection didn t help I still couldn t disable it This part about another user or system account has me worried I d like to just get rid of this Network connection I do not know where this came from Let mke add this I don t know if it has any relivance Yesterday before I discovered the newly formed Area network Connection I had been using my sound recorder software Doing some music work In this software under the record function where you pick this source for input I noticed there had been a change to the options I usually use the wave input source sence all the input is local My option for wave had been changed The wording was changed It no longer reads wave it now is wave out-mix I don t know how nor why this got changed either I ve been tampered with or Microsoft has added some changes due to my functions with the comp I did add a microphone yesterday to my SB mic input connection Although this isn t really new I have had a microphone connected before I just wanted to mention this other change about the wave thing I m really not concerned about it It s the new Local area Connection that I m concerned with Any help input I would be ... Read more

A:Local Area Connection 2 ... ???

Hi....anyone reading the start of this thread....... the (Local Area Connection 2) that was found in my...(Network Connections), is gone ....... No longer their........
I was in the middle of many sites .......and didn't want to do a reboot,nor would I have figured it would have made any diff.....
I shut down,at about midnite..... Turned comp off.......
Started comp back up at 10am Tue,and the new addition to my (Network Connections),was gone........ There is no longer,an icon for (Local Area Connection 2)
It was their configured and all,then it was gone......... Ya got me !!!!
In any case.....Unless I start a new thread,in continuation of this one,
I personally declare "This case in question,closed".............
Thanks for any time you invested in reading the thread...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-area-connection-2.651003/
Relevancy 75.25%

I am trying to hook up a VISTA computer to communicate with the internet. Using XP you had to go in and select the Local Area Connection and place the IP, Subnet,Default and then the DNS1 and DNS2 in the local area connection block and save and then you could get on the internet. How in the H--- do you do it in VISTA. Pulling out my hair Help Please!

Go into control pane --> network and sharing center, manage network connections on the left hand side, right click the network adaptor and click properties.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/local-area-connection-309081.html
Relevancy 75.25%

All - I am embarrased to post this but I am getting desperate. I upgraded a friend's computer from Win98 to Win 2000. After completing this successfully, I tried to setup their internet connection (cable modem with a wireless router, though this computer is ethernet connected to the router). Unfortunately, the computer cannot see the cable modem even though their ISP can ping the router and modem. Windows 2000 did not 'plug-n-play' the modem or router for some reason.
So, I tried to add a network connection but the computer did not see the modem or router. In the Network Connections folder, there was no 'Local Area Connection', only 'Add New Connection'. What gives? Do I have to add my network adapter too? Thanks for your help.
SJS

Relevancy 75.25%

Hello,

I have been trying to figure out why I can't get my computer connected with the internet. I have tried the repair connection, but there is no change. It tells me that it is connected to my DSL modem '100.0mbs', but it is not connecting to the internet.

I checked the netsh interface and it shows:

Admin State Type Interface Name
Enabled Dedicated Local Area Connection
Enabled Dedicated Local Area Connection 3
Enabled Dedicated Local Area Connection

I have another computer connected to the DSL modem and to the internet. I checked the netsh interface and it only has 1 Local Area Connection listed.

Is there something that I am missing or not checking?

A:Local Area Connection 3?

Is your DSL modem a modem only or is it a modem/router combo? If the former, you usually need to power cycle the modem when switching computers.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-area-connection-3.531690/
Relevancy 75.25%

G'dday folks, long time no see, hope you are all well.
Been doing some stupid things with XP and now my wireless connection is not active.
Right click on the Icon brings up the box that shows "Status" "Repair" "Delete" as Greyed out and inopperative. How can I enable them to allow a repair and connection?
PCMI card when plugged in does not light up (Dynamode WL-GI-300B)
Got a few more probs with XP in general but will pop those questions up when I can get online with the machine.
Many thanks as usual.

Relevancy 75.25%

the "local area connection" adapter is not working properly. then it says detect. actiontec dsl. They told me to download driver upgrade and put on disc then use it on computer and still no internet

We need to have information on make and models of all your the equipment please.

PC/Laptop
Router/Modem
Who is the ISP (Internet Service Provider)
Any other machines working - give details
How the PC or more are all connected - full details
What windows version is used - xp, vista, windows7, etc

-> firewall blocking - what firewall / secruity program do you have ?
-> wireless Encryption - Remove any wireless encryption from the router, and try to connect - post back results
-> The wireless is not switch on - most laptops have a physical switch or uses FN + f key to toggle on/off

you will need to copy the following into notepad and copy onto a working internet connected PC - using a thumbdrive/flashdrive/cdrw etc
{ipconfig /all}
We would like to see the results from ipconfig /all

-> Start > run {search bar in Vista} > cmd > ipconfig /all
post back the results here
TWO Methods to do that - if you cannot access the internet with PC, then use method 2 to copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here

Method ONE -------------------------------------------------------------
start > run {search bar in Vista} > cmd > ipconfig /all

rightclick in the box
select all
enter
control key + C key - to copy
then reply here and
control key + V to paste

Method TWO -------------------------------------------------------------

Start> Run {search bar in Vista}> CMD to open a DOS window and type:

IPCONFIG /ALL >C:\RESULT.TXT

Open C:\RESULT.TXT with Notepad and copy/paste the entire results here.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

{Ping Tests}
Start> Run {search bar in Vista}> CMD to open a DOS window and type:

Ping the default gateway shown in above ipconfig /all
Post back the results

Ping google.com
Post back the results

rightclick in the box
select all
enter
control key + C key - to copy
then reply here and
control key + V to paste

Ping 209.191.93.53
post back results

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

{Device Manager}
Post back the results in device manager
Start > control Panel {Vista set to classic view}> system > {Vista, device manager on left hand side} {XP hardware Tab, device manager button} > network adaptors, click on the + > post back the devices listed there
are there any ! ? or X

for windows 7
start > control panel>
System and Security>
Device Manager

---------------------------------------

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-area-connection.899557/
Relevancy 75.25%

Two computers that run on Windows XP are hooked up to the internet through a linksys wired broadband router The router seems to work fine because my daughter s computer receives internet fine but on the main computer a message Bad Area Connection Local constantly pops up saying that quot LOCAL AREA CONNECTION HAS LIMITED OR NO CONNECTIVITY quot And then usually after that the internet Bad Local Area Connection disconnects I m thinking that it has something to do with the Bad Local Area Connection main computer and not the router because the message never shows up on my daughter s computer Sometimes the message just says quot NETWORK CABLE IS UNPLUGGED quot can the computer not sense the cable is there for the connection from the modem to the router there is a CAT e patch cable for the connection from the main computer to the router there is a CAT cable for the connection from the router to my daughter s computer there is a CAT e cable Should I get a different cable for the main computer to router connection Is there anyway that it could be the computer and how would I fix that nbsp

A:Bad Local Area Connection

check your local area connection...

double click my network places icon on your desktop...

click on the "view network connections" on your left...

Open Network Connections.
Under LAN or High-Speed Internet, click the connection that you want to repair, and then, under Network Tasks, click Repair this connection.
If your connection does not work after you click Repair this connection, try the following steps:
Check the status indicator lights on the DSL or cable modem to verify that the connection to your Internet service provider (ISP) is working.
Turn off the DSL or cable modem and, then turn it on again.
If your Internet connection is not working after these steps, contact your ISP.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/bad-local-area-connection.474425/
Relevancy 75.25%

I have set Local Area Connection as first choice, Wireless Network Connection as second. In the tray icon,it is finding for the connection, it took almost 2 min.or so to find the LAN connection.  I have set the metric of LAN to 10 and wireless connection to 12 and also disable wireless connection. I would like it to start directly to local area connection at start up instead of searching for others before to local area connection. My OS. Windows 7 ultimate.
         Thanking you.

I have set the metric of LAN to 10 and wireless connection to 12 and also disable wireless connection.
Metric?  Mind explaining what that is?  As far as I know, you don't have to set anything.  Given a choice between a wired and wireless connection, Windows will always connect to the wired first by default.  Also, once your ethernet cable is always plugged in, Windows shouldn't have to "search" for other connections before "finding" the LAN connection.  If that is happening to you, something is definitely wrong.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/610560/local-area-connection/
Relevancy 75.25%

Helloo! First post here!

My problem is the following:
I am already connected to the internet via a Broadband connection, yet my local area connection appears in the list too, saying there is no connection available trough it. I would like to disable the local area connection but still keep my broadband connection going.

As you see in the picture, the icon shows that the internet connection isn't active and that annoys me, so i would like to make in such way that it only shows the broadband connection and not the network connection, so the icon looksa s it should look.

Thanx

A:Local area connection

Quote: Originally Posted by 2stubborn2die

Helloo! First post here!

My problem is the following:
I am already connected to the internet via a Broadband connection, yet my local area connection appears in the list too, saying there is no connection available trough it. I would like to disable the local area connection but still keep my broadband connection going.

As you see in the picture, the icon shows that the internet connection isn't active and that annoys me, so i would like to make in such way that it only shows the broadband connection and not the network connection, so the icon looksa s it should look.

Thanx

Open Start, type "network connections" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Right click the Local Area Connection and select disable.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/114770-local-area-connection.html
Relevancy 75.25%

I hope I am in the right place my first time to use! I have new HP that has windows XP the local area connection has red x on it and says cable is unplugged. On the task bar it shows two computers with red x. I had been trying to turn off the firewall,following these instructions(go to start,control panel,network connections,click on local area connection,go to advanced Tab,and uncheck the box internet connection firewall.) Well I did all that and did not find internet connection firewall. But must have did something I didn't realize now I have this problem. Can some one please tell me how to fix my problem I am lost here with XP.

Relevancy 75.25%

Hi All,

I am a relative beginner and I am having a problem that is beyond my ability.

I am using windows XP on my PC, I have got AOL Gold Broadband, I have also had fitted a Linksys Wireless G Card. Which works ok with my daughters Laptop. However it kept showing a message on my PC that "Local Area Connection" is unplugged. After ensuring that my connections were ok, & trying various things my son-in-law fitted a wireless card to my PC. Now I am getting the following error message "Local Area Connection 2" is unplugged. I now cannot get onto AOL Broadband at all. When I try to logon to AOL I am getting the following message "Home DNS Server Unreachable or Unavailable (24-01-08-033).
Can you help? Is it a Software Problem? Hardware Problem or a Virus?

Relevancy 75.25%

Is there a reason this was created on the dell desktop that I recently installed a new windows xp on? I have a wireless connection, local are connection 1 and 2, i can disable one but I can't disable 2, and I don't even know what 2 is FOR. However 1 has in it's description "Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection" and 2 has "Microsoft TV/Video Connection"

A:Local Area Connection 2

It installs when you have a webcam or TV card nothing to worry about.

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/259315-local-area-connection-2-a.html
Relevancy 75.25%

A pop up keeps saying that a network cable is unplugged also Local Area Connection 3

A:local area connection 3

More information is required. Are you connecting to the internet wired or wirelessly? If wirelessly. it is just telling you that you do not have a network cable plugged in, which you know, as you are connected wirelessly. If you are connected wired, try replacing the Ethernet Cable, try a different port on the router. Go to your computer manufacturers support/download drivers site and type in your service tag# or your make and model # and download the network adapter driver for your computer.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/local-area-connection-3-a-652587.html
Relevancy 75.25%

local area connection is not appear in mynetwork places in xp operating system

A:local area connection is not appear

Can you check if you have the proper drivers for your network card?
Go to control panel, system, hardware tab, and look around. Is your network card listed? See any yellow exclamation marks?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/local-area-connection-is-not-appear-287522.html
Relevancy 75.25%

Hi Guys,
I am having a problem with my network connection on an XP PC. 3 times already today, the Local Area Connection in The Networks folder in Control Panel has disabled itself.

I simply re-enable it and everything is fine.

Any ideas on why this happens ???

David

Disable the XP SP2 firewall and monitor this...

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/local-area-connection-24238.html
Relevancy 74.39%

Ok so basicaly long story cut short Went out bought WoW been at war with Connection Area Connection & Internet Local it for days patching it and it wont work blah blah etc formatted my pc deleted the partition by mistake formated it again then the power went out Lol so Local Area Connection & Internet Connection for the rd formatingness everything is fine all is patch but wait wtf is this internet connection WTH it says im connection Local Area Connection & Internet Connection to the internet Local Area Connection & Internet Connection via another computer S when the only thing its pullged in to is my router and there is nothing els pluged in any help guys i think because there diffrent speeds it may slow my internet down or mess online gaming up etc help pl x attached my specs in txt doc for you also WoW is now saying im behind a firewall switch imn not iv considered it might be spyware or some shiz like that so im going to clean boot iv put all the bits and bobs in too one pic so u can see hope it makes sense gt lt nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-area-connection-internet-connection.813488/
Relevancy 74.39%

I run the wireless and network setup wizards on Windows XP. Before I started this, I did not
see that the 1394 connection was connected. Now it is. Network also shows "Local Area Connection" VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter, connected. Which one should I be using with my wireless router? Should I disable 1394? Will 1394 cause a conflict with internet connection?

A:Local Area Connection or 1394 connection?

The IEEE-1394 connection always indicates it's connected. just an oddity of Windows. Ignore that adapter, since it has nothing to do with your Ethernet connection.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-area-connection-or-1394-connection.652114/
Relevancy 74.39%

I have tired to get rid of this bridge connection that is on my local area connection. I try to remove it with the bridge connection area and all it says is "To create a Network Bridge, you must select at least two LAN or High-Speed Internet connections that are not being used by Internet Connection Sharing." I have AT&T hig speed internet and tired talking to them and they said it was on my end, plus I spend two hours on the phone to someone who doesn't know much english and not alot about computers. So can someone please help me. The only way I can connect to the internet is through the my D-Link router which sucks. Someone please help me.

A:Bridge Connection on Local Area Connection...cannot get rid of it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/bridge-connection-on-local-area-connection-cannot-get-rid-of-it.761843/
Relevancy 74.39%

hi there people,
I found a piece of infomation on the net some were about how you can see the speed you are conected at i.e 6.1 mb a second,
but when i press on my local area connection tab it only shows the status, duration, sent ,
and recived,
hopefully someone will know what iam mean,
thanks in advance.

A:cant see the connection speed on local area connection tab

here is a free speed tester.

http://us.mcafee.com/root/speedometer/default.asp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-see-the-connection-speed-on-local-area-connection-tab.631226/
Relevancy 74.39%

Yeah i was wondering what the difference is? And then a thing happened when i tried to connect to the broadband, my pc froze and i had to restart and i did not wanna try again before i asked here..! Whats up?

Relevancy 74.39%

I have not posted before, so I hope I am doing it correctly. My computer has a bubble that keeps appearing Local area connection unplugged. I am online and have checked all connections and everything seems fine. I use Internet Explorer with Optonline ethernet. Any suggestions.

A:Local area connection unplugged

Hi Stacey and welcome to the TS Forum, yes your post is ok and in the right place..

The message you are getting is caused by windows saying that an active network connection has no cable plugged into it.

The cause may be because you have more than 1 ethernet connection such as a wired Ethernet socket, a Wireless ethernet connection, and lastly a USB ethernet connection.

You dont say which you are using at present, but if you click

START > SETTINGS > CONTROL PANEL >NETWORK CONNECTIONS.

You will see a list of available network connections, one will show "network cable unplugged, or there may be more than one, again dependant on what the system has.

On the one showing cable unplugged, right click it and choose "Disable", this will tell the OS to stop looking at it.

WARNING......

This message can also appear if the active internet connection has a faulty cable or the input socket is faulty, disabling the interface may cause you to lose internet connection if this happens you need to check the cable that plugs into the socket for loose wires and replace if needed.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection-unplugged.66748/
Relevancy 74.39%

Hi Guys
I have been using a HUAWEI Optus Mobile Broadband 3G For around 2 years. Around 5 months ago I did not know this would affect me. I was online when a box came up saying Optus 2 and I had no idea what it meant. I just changed it's name to Optus and left it. Later I could not connect to my XBOX through it anymore. All of the options for sharing and so on are correct. What has happened is the the Connection is called optus not Local Area Connection. I am trying to find out how to change this the Connection to Local Area Connection. Here is a small picture.
http://attachments.techguy.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=195079&stc=1&d=1310963345
I am on Vista

Thanks for your help
Birdy

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-area-connection-missing.1007883/
Relevancy 74.39%

I'm not sure if the title of this thread is the problem, or only the beginning, but here goes...

I don't know what my fiance did to his computer but somehow the Local Area Connection got disabled. When I tried to enable it, it gets stuck on Acquiring Network Address and it doesn't seem to be able to pick up the IP address.

It's running on Windows XP, but lately now Windows takes several minutes to come up every time I reboot...

I'd be glad to give more info but I don't even know where to begin, so let me know what more information I can provide. (I'm on my computer now, but in the same room.)

Thanks!!

Relevancy 74.39%

the lan is disabled and it not letting me enable it as when i try an error message appears, can anyone tell me how to fix it.

A:local area connection 4 disabled

How about a little more info. The error message would be a good start. Are you running DSL or modem? Thanks, Jazz

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-area-connection-4-disabled.785545/
Relevancy 74.39%

I went out to go grocery shopping earlier today and when I came home my computer disconnected from AIM and said this:
Generic Host Processes for Win32 Services encountered a problem and needed to close. Under more details it said :
szappname : svchost.exe
szappver 0.0.0.0
szmodname : unknown
szmodver 0.0.0.0 offset 00000000
Technical information says :
svchost.exe.mdmp
appcompat.txt

When I execute the ipconfig /all command it doesnt list anything and Local Area Connection is missing from my network connections. What happened and more importantly how do I fix this. I tried restoring my computer to several different dates within the last half week and I still get the same problem when restoring to all those dates. Thanks for all your help.

Relevancy 74.39%

I was using my laptop as a hotspot.was encountering some problems so decided to disable the LOCAL AREA CONNECTION and enable it.But once I disabled it, it just disappeared into thin air!!!I cant find it under network adapters and there seems to be no problem with my drivers. Attached screenshots of the same. Please help!!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-area-connection-disappeared.1156012/
Relevancy 74.39%

Hi I'm new here..I Issue is i did a diagnostic start up after having a issue with my cpu to get it back ... but it caused my local area connection and network to be completly missing and my windows wont recognize it on start u. i'm a college student and i really need to know how to fix it. Please send me some feedback on what to do.

Relevancy 74.39%

I used to have a network, with this computer being the client pc, but once my bro moved away, he took his computer, therefore we no longer have a network. But the problem is that ever since he left, this computer still thinks its apart of a network (I'm guessing that diagonsis) and I have to have "Local Area Connection Internet" turned on to turn on my actual internet connection. Also, as you would guess "Local Area Connection Internet" has the error message "Limted or no connectivity". So if anybody can tell me how I can use my internet without haveing to turn on "Local Area Connection Internet" I would be grateful.

I'm not so great with networking, but I'm pretty sure there is a simple way to fix this problem.

Thanks.

Relevancy 74.39%

Hello, I am running the Windows XP operating system.

My internet connection has gotten unbelievably slower in the past couple of days and i noticed that when i check under network connections and check the status of my Local Area Connection the numbers for my sent and received packets are much, much, higher than they ever were before. It seemed to me like they never used to surpass 3 digits but now they are frequently in the tens of thousands, with the number of received packets disproportionately higher than the number of sent packets. My computer is connected to a router and there are two others computers on this network. Does anyone recognize any potential problem from the symptons?

I also tried doing system restore from about 10 different restore points and got a "restoration incomplete" message every time. But that's a problem for a different board.

Thanks,
Jon.

A:Local Area Connection problem.

There might be someone hijacking your computer----What kind of security setup do you have.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-area-connection-problem.503724/
Relevancy 74.39%

I Noticed when I goto task manager There are 2 local area conections 1 says operational the other says not operational. The operational one say it is utilizing anywhere from .4 % to 95 %. . I was reffered here from the security forum, I noticed this while haveing some problems with my PC. Thought it was a virus or that someone had hacked into it. This may be totaly normal , I am just not sure. I have no other computers that should be connecting to this one.
Thanks for your help

Darren

Relevancy 74.39%

Hello I believe my computer was zapped Missing Connection Area Local by Missing Local Area Connection lightening - not Missing Local Area Connection only did it get the computer but also the external modem and a wireless router Everything was working fine until a bad thunderstorm over the weekend Since then I have been unable to connect to the internet We ve replaced the modem and can now connect on one computer in our house but not on the other When I go to the Control Panel Network Connections all that shows is the Wireless Connection which I don t use There used to be a Local Area Connection listed here I did a google search and was directed to look at the Network Adapters in the Device Manager - it should show an Intel R PRO Wireless BG as well as a Realtek RTL Ethernet NIC - it ONLY shows the WIRELESS My question is can I just download the Realtek RTL on my other computer and transfer it to the one that is not working or is it a bigger problem than that Any help would be much appreciated THANK YOU nbsp

A:Missing Local Area Connection

Did you replace the router?

It would appear you only replaced the modem.

"We've replaced the modem and can now connect on one computer in our house, but not on the other."
If only using a modem that would be correct. You need a router if more than one.

If you turn off the working one, after a reboot does the other start working?

If you are still using the router make sure you connected the modem to the wan port not one of the lan port.

You don't xfer drivers from one pc to another. You first go into device manager and make sure the nic is showing. If an exclaimation point you need to load the driver for it which you can download from your pcs web site or take it off the cd that came with the system.
When the hardware is working then you install networking.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/missing-local-area-connection.720179/
Relevancy 74.39%

Hi
I have two network that I need to connect to, "Both Ethernet"
One network is set up with a T1 line, with its own gateway, DNS, etc.
The other is DSL Ultra High Speed also with its own Gateway and DNS settings.
To go from one to the other, I change wires and redo the settings each time, which is a pain....
I know that two different network adapter card would do the trick, by disable and enable.
There must be a better way, I'm sure that there must be others who have the same problem, XP does not seem to allow you to duplicate the local area connection.
Does anyone have a solution, it would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

Thynker

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f31/dual-local-area-connection-118603.html
Relevancy 74.39%

Hello,

XP Home, Cable.

Could anyone please advise me if my LAC - TCP/IP Protol Settings are ok/secure.
I am not on any network.

Ip Settings
DHCP Enabled
Auto Metric - Ticked.

Advanced TCP/IP Settings

DNS
Append Primary - Yes
Append Parent - Ticked
Register this connection in DNS - Ticked.

WINS
Enable LMHOSTS lookup - Not ticked
NetBIOS setting - Default
Enable NetBIOS - Not ticked
Disable NetBIOS - Not ticked.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Regards tarragon.

Relevancy 74.39%

hey everyone im a newbie so take pity.. i just purchased a acer 5100 notbook with wireless connectivity and the wireless connection is workin my desktop is working but my local area connection on notebook says network cable unplugged....? any suggestions or advice on how to get my notebook up and runnin.. thanks in advance

A:local area connection problems

If you are on wireless, you don't need "local area connection", which usually just means your network card.

The message is harmless and Windows is just telling you that you don't have a cable plugged in. It's a status message.
If you always use wireless, I would just disable the network card, so that will stop. If you use both, you can go into the poperties of the network card and tell it NOT to show you connectivity messages.

However, if you DO have a cable plugged in, and it still says it, that could be other things.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection-problems.58342/
Relevancy 74.39%

I am having trouble connecting to my local area connection as it is coming up as a public network. I am connecting through TP-link home plugs and it keeps saying it is an unidentified public network.
This what is showing up.
Any help is appreciated, I am at braking point here.

A:Unidentified local area connection

Do you have iTunes or Adobe photo shop or Adobe CS3 installed on this system?

Can you post a screen shot of the ipconfig/all?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/268800-unidentified-local-area-connection.html
Relevancy 74.39%

I have been referred to MSN as a source of help for this problem Local Area Connection Status 5 Although I am an AOL subscriber I access MSN Messenger and Local Area Connection 5 Status the MSN Gaming Zone daily My PC uses Windows XP and for the past few days I have have been booted from both MSN areas after a short time of usage Then I am also booted from AOL Upon sign on a Local Area Connection 5 Status warning comes up saying that I have limited or no connectivity to my local area connection I was told by AOL NOT to disable this as it may also disable my connection to AOL Can anyone tell me what Local Area Connection 5 Status to do and how to quot fix quot this I am not a computer genius by any stretch only intermediate ability but this is driving me up a wall I haven t seen anyone else having this problem I also recently uninstalled a Spyware program that I had installed Could this have mucked up my MSN abilities Anxiously awaiting some suggestions Thank you nbsp

A:Local Area Connection 5 Status

this is a common problem with windows xp OS upgraded to sp2. to fix this, just go to control panel > network connections > right click on LAN5 > select properties > on the general tab, uncheck the box that says notify me if limited or no connectivity and that should do the trick!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-area-connection-5-status.272184/
Relevancy 74.39%

I'm getting the following message Local Area Connection This connection has limited or no connectivity background so you know how I got here In the last couple of days I had google and other searchers starting to get redirected when ever I selected any search results Malwarebytes and other connection area or local no limited virus tools didn't find any problems so I just worked around it for the time being by selecting the search by opening in a new window This afternoon I needed to transfer some video from my camera via firewire to my computer However when I finished I was getting the no local Area limited or no local area connection connectivity message so first I tried this after seeing someone with a similar sounding problem Go to Start Run and type in cmd A dos Window will appear Type in the dos window netsh winsock reset Click on the enter key Still had connectivity problem Then I tried a system restore from as far back as it would go several months ago when the system was working fine and limited or no local area connection again have the connectivity problem - hopefully the search issue is gone but I can't test because I have no connection So I now I gave up trying to fix it myself and am looking for help Thanks in advance PS - I checked the cable to the computer - the system was nice enough to alert me when I disconnected it forgot to add I'm running windows xp Dell xps computer

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/319012/limited-or-no-local-area-connection/
Relevancy 74.39%

I've recently reformatted my computer, and when i tried to connect to my internet the Local Area Connection wasn't there. All there was, was a 1394 connection, which doesn't work. I've tried everything! Please, help?

Relevancy 74.39%

Okay So after lots of frustration trouble shooting we finally have come to the conclusion to sleep on it I have decided to get Tech Support Forums Involved Area Connection Problems Local because Local Area Connection Problems you guys rock D Heres my current position after LOADS of trouble with wmi and other things I finally fixed it by formatting and my WMI is working correctly thank god Heres the link if you are interested http www techsupportforum com f pt- html So now my friend and I are trying to get this connection to work My current PC setup is this I have a house with a router upstairs shooting internet downstairs to this computer This computer is connected wirelessly and now I would like to share this internet with my other computer through an ethernet cable Currently I have the two computers connected via ethernet and I ran the network setup wizard on both computers keeping sure that the workgroup names are the same SERVERSHARE and that I chose the right settings Both of the network cards are enabled I have enabled internet connection sharing through the wireless connection The main problem here is that it says that a network cable is unplugged on both of my machines I am absolutely sure that it is an ethernet cable and it is connected into the right spot I have tried two seperate ethernet cables no luck What is odd is that on one of my machines there is visible lights next to the ethernet port yet when I plug either of the cables in they do not light up If there are lights on my other computer they do not light up either Here is my current CPU specs - Windows XP Media Center Edition Service Pack - Hp Pavillion AMD Athlon GB Ram Uhhh I think thats about it as far as specs go Anyway Please Help and thanks in advance

A:Local Area Connection Problems

First of all, I am going to ask you a really dumb question ...
what type of ethernet cable did you use to connect the 2 PC's ?

There are 2 types 1. Straight and 2. Crossed.

A straight cable is mostly used between a NIC and a hub, switch or Router.
These items are hardware wired internally so that the transmit & recieve connections are routed automatically to the correct pins for communication.
Some switches and routers will even accept the wrong cable type and configure themselves for the incoming outgoing pairs to the correct pins.

A crossed cable means that the transmit & recieve pairs are swapped to different pins at opposite ends of the cable . NIC's DO not usually have the ablity to check the incoming signals and re-arrange themselves automatically.

The first thing I would do is check the pin configurations at the cable ends to see whether they match or not. If the cables are "home made" (all mine are!) then also make sure that the cables are inserted inside the clip the correct way. ONLY one way works, so if as it sometims happens we forget to orentate the cable correctly when placing in the RJ45, it won't work. The connections aren't symetrical.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/local-area-connection-problems-124489.html
Relevancy 74.39%

Recently had to reset wireless router and discovered my LAC wasn't working on my desktop. Wizard says bad cable, but I bought a new one and was able to establish a LAC connection on my laptop, which was how I was able to login into my wireless router. I hadn't noticed system tray icon went from desktop to Wi-Fi bars.

My config is modem>router>desktop (desktop is working via Wi-Fi). I have went to network connections and reset the adapter connection. I have updated the network controller (says it's already updated). LAC still not working with a Red X. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

A:Local Area Connection showing Red X

Quote: Originally Posted by Mista74

Recently had to reset wireless router and discovered my LAC wasn't working on my desktop. Wizard says bad cable, but I bought a new one and was able to establish a LAC connection on my laptop, which was how I was able to login into my wireless router. I hadn't noticed system tray icon went from desktop to Wi-Fi bars.

My config is modem>router>desktop (desktop is working via Wi-Fi). I have went to network connections and reset the adapter connection. I have updated the network controller (says it's already updated). LAC still not working with a Red X. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

After resetting the router did you type in the SSID, set up the security and the encryption etc..?

After that you will want to delete the old wireless profile then set up a new one for this connection in Manage Wireless Networks via the Network and Sharing Center.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/311733-local-area-connection-showing-red-x.html
Relevancy 74.39%

I had to wipe my computer and reinstall windows xp. When I did that, I lost my local area connection. I need this for my house and the ethernet connection we have.

I have a Dell Latitude D620. I also read that it might be a missing driver, so I went to Dell's website. I downloaded the Broadcom Driver (57XX Gigabit Integrated Controller) and installed it afterward. I then reset my computer.

This did nothing to get my local area connection back. What else should I try? Another driver? Another method of installation?

Thanks for your help

A:Local Area Connection is Gone after Reset

Be specific when you tell LAN connection. Is it connected to dsl modem or a cable connection.whos is your Isp

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/local-area-connection-is-gone-after-reset-485677.html
Relevancy 74.39%

I am trying to get my local area connection to reappear after I accidently erased it from network connections in XP. My questions are these:

Do I have to reinstall my drivers from the XP disk or is there another easier way to re-create this connection?

Also, I would I know for sure if the drivers are missing? My command prompt does not show the Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection but my device manager lists the network card as installed on my computer.

A:Local Area Connection Missing!

Remove the network card from device manager lists. After that windows auto detect and reinstall your card, Local Area Connection will be back

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-area-connection-missing.824647/
Relevancy 74.39%

So ive read a few forums on diffrent sites guys with a similar problem (disable lan connection) had said something about programs to enable and disable lan connection (ive read about devcom alot) . So my question is do they work and where can i find them?

Relevancy 74.39%

Is there any way to reinstall local area connection? I accidentally uninstalled it while fidgeting around trying to get Xbox LIVE working, and now when I plug in ethernet cable from my xbox to my laptop, no connections are made.

A:Local area connection reinstall

Local Area Connection is automatically created by Windows during startup... as long as your ethernet port/card still functions properly...

Restarting your Comp didn't fix the issue?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/200826-local-area-connection-reinstall.html
Relevancy 74.39%

i just reinstalled windows xp home edition and now my local area connection is gone so i cant get on internet. how do i install the network adapters to get a connection? i cant seem to find the driver i need to install in the windows folder (where?)

thank you

A:Solved: local area connection

I'm assuming at this point that you reinstalled Windows XP with an actual Windows XP CD.

When you go into the Device Manager, what is showing in the "Network Adapters" sub-menu?

--------------------------------------------------------------

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-local-area-connection.748736/
Relevancy 74.39%

I have a Dell desktop with Windows XP Home Edition I recently restored the computer to factory Connection Local Solved: available isn't Area settings and when I tried connecting to the internet the Local Area Connection wasn t showing in My Network Places I have been searching through other forums and tried the things that they suggested but nothing worked I am trying to connect to an AT amp T U-verse Wire router through a wired connection I tried connecting both wirelessly and wired to another computer and everything worked fine I checked the Device Solved: Local Area Connection isn't available Manager and there is an mark next to the Ethernet Controller The properties say that the drivers for that device aren t installed And of course I can t install them since I can t access the internet Other forums suggested that I check the network adapters option in Device Manager but that isn t available in the device manager What can I do to fix this problem Thanks in advance for helping me nbsp

A:Solved: Local Area Connection isn't available

Download the latest chipset and networking drivers from Dell's web site. Use your Service Tag for easier searching. Copy them to the crippled PC using removable media such as CD, USB flash drive, etc. Install the chipset first, then networking. You should then have internet access and can get whatever other drivers you need.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-local-area-connection-isnt-available.1033226/
Relevancy 74.39%

Is it normal to have a “Local Area Connection 2” in Network and Dialup Connections?

I was having some connectivity problems and noticed this. Maybe it was there all the while and I’m just not very observant.

My OS is Win 2000 Pro and this one is on a wireless home LAN.

Thanks,
Randall

A:Solved: Local Area Connection 2?

Very normal, anytime you install a network card, ethernet or wireless. It will name the connection 2, 3, 4 and so on. So you should have just a local area connection also. Itys normal.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-local-area-connection-2.462068/
Relevancy 74.39%

In the Network amp Sharing Center's quot Change Adapter Settings quot there are usually Local Area Connection wired and Wireless Network Connection For as long as I can remember my computer and I'm not sure why has had Local Area Connection Local Area Connection Network cable unplugged Wireless Network Connection and Wireless Network Connection Not connected Here's the background story I always used Wireless connections There's no problem with that now I can connect fine I recently connected my XBOX through my Dell Inspiron's port by allowing other computers to connect through my Local Area Connection For the first few days it worked fine without problems I came home yesterday to find there was no connection through to my XBOX Here's the problem I found that in the Network amp Sharing Center's Network Connections my Local Area Connection is nowhere to be found My LAC WNC and WNC are still there I have checked my Device Manager to see if my LAC was disabled I have also Local Area Connection Missing been looking around forums and such-like to find anything to Missing Local Area Connection help please let me know Thanks Vic

A:Missing Local Area Connection

You should first try going into Device Manager and disable the connections that aren't being used, especially the Msoft virtual wifi miniport which tends to cause connection problems when it's enabled but not being used.

I'm not sure what happened to your local area connection but shared connections aren't something that I would call reliable as you have found out.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/243698-missing-local-area-connection.html
Relevancy 74.39%

Every 20 seconds my Local Area Connection aquires a new ip address. It does not show disconnected, just aquires a new ip. This is on the onboard NIC. I put in a PCI NIC and it does the same thing.
Also none of my usb ports are responsive. I just put in a new power supply because the old one would not start up. Does this sound like a motherboard problem??

Thanks for any input.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-area-connection-keeps-resetting.463639/
Relevancy 74.39%

I have a pc connected with an ethernet cable to a 3g moden/wireless router which also runs 2 wireless laptops.
I have been using it for 2 years with no problems but last night after installing COMODO anti virus the Local Area Connection says that limited or no connection is possible.I have tried a system restore - no effect.
I have uninstalled COMODO - no effect
I have tried to connect to the router via IE but cannot connect to the ip address.
CAN ANYONE HELP.

PLEASE