Windows Support Forum

Monitor hooked up to tower, but doesn't turn on

Q: Monitor hooked up to tower, but doesn't turn on

Bought the following brand new at Best Buy on and trying to get setup Lenovo K e desktop tower keyboard and mouse LG MP HQ monitor MS Office key code Webroot internet security disc After connecting everything according to the instruction of both the Lenovo and LG instructions double amp triple checking all parts accounted for and connected properly here s what happened Lenovo tower up turn Monitor tower, hooked on doesn't to but boots up fine disc drive in tower opens and closes properly Lenovo keyboard and mouse both detected Great so far except LG monitor does not turn on at all In the back of the monitor two things are connected blue HDMI connector with pins on both sides is connected to HDMI connection in back of tower AC DC adapter plugged into electrical outlet and other end directly into monitor Everything works when power booted up except monitor shows no life - no light indicator and black screen Monitor hooked up to tower, but doesn't turn on Monitor just doesn t turn on at all There are driver discs for both lenovo win and the LG monitor and like I said I can insert them into the tower and close but nothing happens on the monitor display Best Buy said it should be no issue using the LG monitor with the Lenovo PC tower They will charge me to come out to my home even though I bought two year Geek Squad plan They also said I would still get charged even if they were unable to get Monitor hooked up to tower, but doesn't turn on me setup Seems like there is one probably really easy fix but I don t want to pay to have them come out if I get charged regardless of the outcome Anyone out there with any idea what could be preventing the monitor from powering up other than Monitor hooked up to tower, but doesn't turn on it s bad which is unlikely as it was brand new sealed in the box Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Monitor hooked up to tower, but doesn't turn on

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Monitor hooked up to tower, but doesn't turn on

If no standby LED on monitor, is there a separate on/off switch on the side of the monitor?
With LG there are usually manual buttons for CH+- & vol +- plus On/Off (although I have seen monitors with no on/off at all.)
Also check for 'hidden' buttons on the front lower edge of frame or under the front (right) edge.
I would try a different mains lead/cord that is known to to work, also check for a fuse in the plug, could be missing, or isolated with plastic foil.
Even with no inputs the monitor would show a 'No Signal' sign if it was working.
If no 'standby' LED and you have a separate AC to DC adapter block then that could be the problem. All monitors I've seen have a direct AC connection though.
If it then does work, the on-screen menu will need to be selected, and 'input' changed to HDMI.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/monitor-hooked-up-to-tower-but-doesnt-turn-on.204715/
Relevancy 76.54%

running Vista Home Premium
this is an eMachines T5086
The desktop computer is less than 2 years old.
We just moved. Now when I turn on the computer, it will make its whirling sounds then it will beep 3 times..like error beeps. The monitor will display "no signal". So I tried another monitor...same message. What could be wrong with it all of a sudden? This is the kids computer and they are sad

A:turn tower on..beeps 3 times..no image on monitor

To me it could be one of three things if you are comfertable going inside the computer try reseating the ram or if there are two sticks take one out and see if it will boot up if not put it back and take out the other stick and try to boot up if it will boot up with just one stick then the other stick is bad. to test the power supply see if your cd or dvd drive will open are there any lights showing? If its none of the above its your motherboard most probably a capicitators blown or something see if you can spot any dark marks like burn marks on the motherboard. Well I hope its the ram.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/turn-tower-on-beeps-3-times-no-image-on-monitor-311156.html
Relevancy 76.11%

Everything turns on, fans and everything. It's a completely new build. No input detected from a Samsung monitor.

I've swapped ram sticks to see if one of them is dead
I've reseated the video card

Don't know what to do.

Gonna pop my 4870 X2 into the computer to see if the video card is DOA. If not, the motherboard?

A:New Computer Build: Monitor doesn't turn on / Monitor doesn't initalize

your vga could be causing the issue, but that's only if you dont have onboard video as well.

Next time you post with a problem, make sure you give us detailed specs of your rig, when you dont its like saying "Hey, I have a red car, and it wont start."

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-computer-build-monitor-doesnt-turn-on-monitor-doesnt-initalize.134090/
Relevancy 67.08%

Hey guys, just recently i decided i would start using a different computer, but replace its current with my ram, HD and video card. Unfortunately, to my disappointment, the monitor didnt turn on after installing all this. So, i took it all out, put in the old, and it still didnt work. It was working just a week ago, but now not?
I know the monitor works because i plugged it into my original computer and it was fine...
Could the MOBO on the other computer be damaged/ready for the scrap?

Relevancy 67.08%

Ok, I have it set up just like I did with Win7. Screen saver set for 10 minutes, monitor power off set for 15 minutes. The problem is, the monitor doesn't turn off! To be more accurate, it DOES turn off at the 15 minute mark, for about 1 minute. Then it turns back on and the lock screen shows. Then after 1 minute, the display fades out to black, but the monitor itself is still on.

I've dug through every possible thing trying to fix this, even disabling the lock screen, but nothing helps. I've never been able to get the monitor to turn off for more than 1 minute.

A:Monitor doesn't turn off

You might have ticked the "Put computer to sleep after" ten minutes...

Try finding the "Choose when to turn off the Display" in search.

Put it to ten minutes (I assume you already did this, but just in case, I wrote it out)

I have a dumb bug in my desktop that causes it to come out of sleep randomly at crazy hours of the night or day.

Even if I put it back to sleep, after a minute it wakes up again.

I'm guessing it has something to do with windows update, but I'm not sure.
But This might be a different problem... If there's a running program on your pc then it might be what's causing it to wake up.

Also wake on LAN could be a problem.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/16217-monitor-doesnt-turn-off.html
Relevancy 66.22%

Hello I am new to these forums Yes I have never seen anything like this before and have no idea how to fix it turn Monitor doesn't on when restarting. or what to look up Basically when I restart my computer the monitor goes straight to power saving mode This doesn t happen when I shut down and start it that way So far I ve taken out my CMOS battery on the motherboard and I ve set my Monitor doesn't turn on when restarting. BIOS to default Unfortunately this didn t fix it Before this happened I had Windows and I recently switched over to another HDD containing Windows Home Premium Even then the problem still persisted Before doing that I tried installing drivers for my GPU and monitor resetting my monitor settings to default and even tried booting with onboard graphics At this point I m at a loss Any assistance would be greatly appreciated Thanks Extra Info I m using a DVI to HDMI adapter Intel i k GHz - GB of RAM -Windows Home Premium Bit -Zotac GTX -Dell S M Monitor nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/monitor-doesnt-turn-on-when-restarting.1165825/
Relevancy 66.22%

I've used the switch to actually turn it off, but files still manage to get shoved onto it.
I spent over 2 hours pinning and unpinning File Explorer from the taskbar and opening File Explorer from Start screen.
Finally I turned that 2nd monitor on and the 4 files I opened were on it.
I'm disabled so pulling plugs and cables isn't easy anymore.
I'm thinking about maybe disabling it thru device mgr or properties.

Another thing is how to get a screenshot of only 1 monitor instead of 2 ? The only thing I found that works is cloning the monitors.

A:2nd monitor doesn't turn off completely

GPU drivers and Windows settings may not always agree which monitor is primary and many programs insist on opening on the primary monitor. Turning monitor off during work on windows doesn't always register so program opens in "virtual monitor" (sends picture to output port ). Happens mostly on monitors that don't send enough feedback, typically VGA connected ones.

http://www.eightforums.com/graphic-cards/63735-2nd-monitor-doesnt-turn-off-completely.html
Relevancy 66.22%

Recently my hard disk stuffed up on turn doesn't monitor screen on my pentium mhz so i changed it with another hard disk from a pentium i plugged that in and it worked fine monitor screen doesn't turn on I then decided to take the cdrom and floppy from the p and plugged it in to the p i also changed cases i used the cables from the p and found the screen would not turn on when i turned the comp on i changed the ide cables to the ones for the p It worked this monitor screen doesn't turn on time but only with the floppy detached when i plugged the floppy in the screen wouldn t turn on monitor screen doesn't turn on again and now even unplugging the floppy my screen won t turn on what could be the reason why the screen doesn t turn on could it be something to do with power or using the wrong cables which stuffed up my motherboard or the floppy or cdrom Please help cause i m a newbie at computers i moved the motherboard back to its original case and plugged everything in the way it was originally when it did work but it still doesn t work now nbsp

A:monitor screen doesn't turn on

Sounds to me like it isn't POSTing, try removing everything except one stick of RAM, CPU, floppy, video card, and keyboard, if it comes on, try adding one device back till it fails again.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/monitor-screen-doesnt-turn-on.13585/
Relevancy 66.22%

So first after turn doesn't on idling monitor off I suppose monitor doesn't turn on after idling I should say I m one of those people who leaves their computer on pretty much all the time no sleep or hibernation mode activated Now this problem occurs when I shut my computer monitor off then leave my computer to monitor doesn't turn on after idling go to class or out or just not use it I don t know how long it takes for the computer to make the monitor turn on but I ve just hopped out monitor doesn't turn on after idling of the shower and it had the same problem wouldn t turn on Maybe this problem arises when i turn my monitor off and perhaps leave it for more than minutes I ve checked my power settings and they were on quot always on mode quot I changed it to quot presentation mode quot for now and I ll see if this fixes it but i still want more opinions My graphics card is a GTS and I just updated the drivers yesterday problem came up two days ago Between when the problem came up I don t believe I ve actually done anything that would change it I ve gotten an SC Beta key but I don t think that installing the game should have given me any problems especially the one i m experiencing right now because I ve also played the game on my computer a few times and it runs well I have been able to get my monitor to display when i switch the ports on the back of my graphics card suddenly it works When i shut off my monitor again and turn it back on after some time has passed a few minutes maybe definitely the time it takes for me to shower the problem shows up again I know it seems like I m in loops but I m trying to find out what happened here I usually move my mouse or hit a key on my keyboard and the black idling screen goes away and my monitor turns on This doesn t happen I have a samsung syncmaster bw so the power button blinks blue because it still thinks my computer is idling I don t believe it s my mouse or keyboard or that my motherboard shuts off the usb ports after some time of idling because i ve tried switching ports for my mouse and my keyboard is ps I know my keyboard works when the screen stuck in idle mode because i ve pressed spacebar when i knew itunes was open and music would start playing still no screen display PS I have restarted my computer shut it off for the night and the problem still persists Edit I just wanted to add the monitor does recognize it s plugged in because when I unplug it it does that little thing where it s trying to detect something analog or digital

A:monitor doesn't turn on after idling

What are your power settings in XP? Ditto for the BIOS?

Have you tried a different monitor for a test period?

What is the monitor in question?

System manufacturer and model...or...motherboard manufacturer and model (if custom/self-built)?

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/304399/monitor-doesnt-turn-on-after-idling/
Relevancy 66.22%

Hi Windows XP is my OS.

When i boot my machine, the monitor does not turn on. I have to press the reset button, wait, and see if it will turn on. If it doesn't I try again, and sometimes i have to turn off the power suply altogether. When the monitor eventually turns on, I sometimes get the error message "CMOS/GPNV Checksum Bad".

I have an NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX 200 video card...

This problem started a few weeks ago , although when it started the monitor came out of standby for a few seconds and then went back into standby, now however it just remains in standby.

Thanks a lot guys.

Relevancy 65.79%

Hi I bought a new graphics card ATI Radeon AGP and I plugged it into my AGP slot after removing my old NVIDIA Geforece Ti graphics card and its drivers When I turn on the power supply with my new graphics card in my monitor doesn t turn on and remains on standby mode I made sure that everything is plugged in properly Is there a way of allowing me to fix this problem so I can carry on with installing the drivers Here is my system overview ------------------ System Information new turn put in after card my Monitor I on graphics doesn't ------------------ Time of this report Machine name AWARA Operating System Windows XP Home Edition Build Service Pack xpsp sp gdr - Language English Regional Setting English System Manufacturer Monitor doesn't turn on after I put in my new graphics card Dell Computer Corporation System Model Dimension BIOS Default System Monitor doesn't turn on after I put in my new graphics card BIOS Processor Intel R Pentium R CPU GHz Memory MB RAM Page File MB used MB available Windows Dir C WINDOWS DirectX Version DirectX c DX Setup Parameters Not found DxDiag Version bit Unicode ------------ DxDiag Notes ------------ DirectX Files Tab No problems found Display Tab No problems found Sound Tab No problems found Sound Tab No problems found Music Tab No problems found Input Tab No problems found Network Tab No problems found -------------------- DirectX Debug Levels -------------------- Direct D n a DirectDraw retail DirectInput n a DirectMusic n a DirectPlay retail DirectSound retail DirectShow retail --------------- Display Devices --------------- Card name NVIDIA GeForce Ti Manufacturer NVIDIA Chip type GeForce Ti DAC type Integrated RAMDAC Device Key Enum PCI VEN DE amp DEV amp SUBSYS C DE amp REV A Display Memory MB Current Mode x bit Hz Monitor Dell M Monitor Max Res Driver Name nv disp dll Driver Version English DDI Version or higher Driver Attributes Final Retail Driver Date Size bytes WHQL Logo d Yes WHQL Date Stamp n a VDD n a Mini VDD nv mini sys Mini VDD Date bytes Device Identifier D B E E- - CF-F - C CB Vendor ID x DE Device ID x SubSys ID x C DE Revision ID x A Revision ID x A Video Accel ModeMPEG A ModeMPEG B ModeMPEG C ModeMPEG D Deinterlace Caps DC - - A -BD -E BBCC C Format In Out YUY YUY Frames Prev Fwd Back Caps VideoProcess YUV RGB VideoProcess StretchX VideoProcess StretchY DeinterlaceTech PixelAdaptive DC - - A -BD -E BBCC C Format In Out YUY YUY Frames Prev Fwd Back Caps VideoProcess YUV RGB VideoProcess StretchX VideoProcess StretchY DeinterlaceTech MedianFiltering AA E- - A - C - F FAF E E Format In Out YUY YUY Frames Prev Fwd Back Caps VideoProcess YUV RGB VideoProcess StretchX VideoProcess StretchY DeinterlaceTech BOBVerticalStretch DC - - A -BD -E BBCC C Format In Out UYVY UYVY Frames Prev Fwd Back Caps VideoProcess YUV RGB VideoProcess StretchX VideoProcess StretchY DeinterlaceTech PixelAdaptive DC - - A -BD -E BBCC C Format In Out UYVY UYVY Frames Prev Fwd Back Caps VideoProcess YUV RGB VideoProcess StretchX VideoProcess StretchY DeinterlaceTech MedianFiltering AA E- - A - C - F FAF E E Format In Out UYVY UYVY Frames Prev Fwd Back Caps VideoProcess YUV RGB VideoProcess StretchX VideoProcess StretchY DeinterlaceTech BOBVerticalStretch DC - - A -BD -E BBCC C Format In Out YV x Frames Prev Fwd Back Caps VideoProcess YUV RGB VideoProcess StretchX VideoProcess StretchY DeinterlaceTech PixelAdaptive DC - - A -BD -E BBCC C Format In Out YV x Frames Prev Fwd Back Caps VideoProcess YUV RGB VideoProcess StretchX VideoProcess StretchY DeinterlaceTech MedianFiltering AA E- - A - C - F FAF E E Format In Out YV x Frames Prev Fwd Back Caps VideoProcess YUV RGB VideoProcess StretchX VideoProcess StretchY DeinterlaceTech BOBVerticalStretch DC - - A -BD -E BBCC C Format In Out NV x e Frames Prev Fwd Back Caps VideoProcess YUV RGB VideoProcess StretchX VideoProcess StretchY DeinterlaceTech PixelAdaptive DC - - A -BD -E BBCC C Format In Out NV x e Frames Prev Fwd Back Caps VideoProcess YUV RGB VideoPr... Read more

A:Monitor doesn't turn on after I put in my new graphics card

You see no video at all, even no bios screen? If this is true, the new card may be bad

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/monitor-doesnt-turn-on-after-i-put-in-my-new-graphics-card.142240/
Relevancy 65.79%

So I've got my PC set to turn the monitor off after 20 mins of inactivity. Please note that I do NOT have hibernate or sleep turned on.
Anyways, after the 20 mins of inactivity, SOMETIMES the monitor just goes blank. As in, it's set to turn off, but instead it just goes blank and the backlight stays turned on. I've done some googling about this, and came up with one person having an identical issue, but he never responded again to his thread.

Anyways, I tried updating video drivers, and turning things off that would prevent it from being detected as inactive.
Please help

A:Monitor doesn't turn off, instead gonig just blank.

Hi -

Try your monitor on another PC; try another monitor on your PC.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/monitor-doesnt-turn-off-instead-gonig-just-blank-514875.html
Relevancy 64.93%

Hello I have an older Dell Laptop studio and the other day when I was using it the monitor picture filled with static and then the monitor went completely black nbsp Now when I turn it on it sounds like the computer starts up fine but the monitor is black So get an external monitor easily solution right -- wrong nbsp Unfortunately when I hooked my laptop up to a separate monitor the monitor which works fine did not display any images nbsp Again I have had this laptop for a few years nbsp I do notice that you have to be easy opening and shutting the laptop nbsp This has been the case for a few years though so I am not sure if something finally gave I m not the most computer savvy so sorry if I wasn t more detailed any ideas what s wrong or how I can fix this nbsp I d rather not bring it somewhere to get fixed

A:Dell Laptop Starts, but Monitor Doesn't Turn on

You'll probably get a better response if you re-post this in the Laptop forum and mention the version of Windows, too. (This is the Desktop forum.)

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19980657
Relevancy 64.07%

So I recently noticed that when I close the lid completely, the monitor doesn't turn off, I can still see light coming from the gap. I've done a fresh install of windows xp recently, but I didn't notice whether it was from the start, or did I do something to fault it.

I have a Dell inspiron 1520. Well worth noting here that when I choose standy when lid is closed it works, so that means the lever mechanism works. That's why I put this in the software section.

Don't know what else to add. Help would be appreciated. Thanks

Relevancy 64.07%

Dell Dimension 4100 PIII 866 MHz, XP Pro, NViIDIA GeForce MX 440

This is my problem: I have the power saving settings set to turn off my monitor after 20 min. It does briefly turn off, only to turn on again 1 sec. later, displaying a faint very dark blue screen... It used turn off fine, but after upgrading from Windows 98SE to XP Pro I got this problem. Is this the OS or my video card?

Any clues?

Thanks all

A:"Turn monitor off" setting doesn't really turn off

Did you upgrade to XP right over the top of 98 or was it a clean install? If you did an upgrade over the top of 98 (and I know you don't want to hear this lol) then you should format and do a clean install. Upgrades rarely leave you with a stable system.

Things to try before you do that though:

1) Make sure your video card drivers are up to date.

2) Make sure Windows is updated - go to windowsupdate

3) try the system file checker (Start, Run, "sfc /scannow" [without the quotes]) to make sure your system files are intact.

Other than that I would say just do a format and install XP from scratch (to be honest, you should do this anyway if you haven't already, you'll get much better stability and performance).

Prime

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/turn-monitor-off-setting-doesnt-really-turn-off.180742/
Relevancy 61.06%

For some reason my monitor has decided that you can only view it when a second monitor is hooked up. When I turn on my laptop the hp logo loads then it will go to a black screen.  If I plug in a hdmi or vga monitor the display on my laptop starts to work. 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/Monitor-only-work-on-lap-top-when-a-second-monitor-is-hooked/td-p/5697983
Relevancy 60.63%

Hello,

I use a laptop that I have 'projected' onto my larger monitor screen. Everything was working fine, and today I used my laptop to connect to my TV to watch a video. When I brought the laptop back to my desk to connect to the monitor again, the monitor is now flashing.

About every 10 seconds, the monitor will show the screen display on my laptop and then go black again. It happens at regular intervals continuously. I've rebooted, tried to reset the connection, and scanned through the settings (using Windows 7). Nothing I've tried has worked.

I connected the monitor to my other desktop computer (using the same cord) and everything worked fine. The laptop is otherwise functionning normally and the laptop screen is fine. I'm hoping it's something in the settings that was adjusted (?) when I used it to display the video.

Any ideas?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/monitor-hooked-to-laptop-flashing.950254/
Relevancy 60.63%

I have 2 terabyte FreeAgent external drive. It used to work fine with my old computer. The new computer has WIN 8.1 and for some reason if I have the drive hooked up I get no video to my monitor. If it's unplugged all starts up normally and I can then hook it up and it works fine. All that is on it is pictures and some documents. Any ideas?

A:FreeAgent Drive hooked up....no monitor?

USB model? Check the computer boot options and ensure "boot from USB" is disabled.

Aside from that, some motherboards have issues booting when some types of USB devices are connected.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/freeagent-drive-hooked-up-no-monitor.1137827/
Relevancy 60.63%

I just hooked up a Dell E2414Hx monitor to my Dell Inspiron laptop to be used as my primary monitor. After I plugged it in, the sound from my external speakers stopped working. If I revert back to my laptop screen, the sound works fine. Also, when I insert the disc that came with it & hit the "monitor drivers" button, it says it does not recognize the monitor. I bought this brand new from Amazon.

A:No sound when external monitor hooked up

Are you connecting it via HDMI (HDMI out to DVI)? Usually the HDMI output also redirects sound, so you would simply have to change the default audio device in your sound preferences.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/no-sound-when-external-monitor-hooked-up.1140692/
Relevancy 60.63%

I just bought this Acer - S Series quot Widescreen Flat-Panel LED Monitor - S HL It supports VGA DVI and HDMI I but DVI, up hooked via New Win7 analog? Monitor says updated my specs I have it hooked up using the DVI cable rather than the HDMI because I didnt feel like looking for my HDMI gt Mini HDMI adapter plus at only x hz there wouldn't be any difference anyways right I don't plan to use HDCP stuff right now so Anyway hopefully this doesn't really mean anything and well the display looks incredible to be honsest but this is what I see that bothers me http i photobucket com albums y X TI DVI jpg It says Analog just for kicks I updated reintalled the driver makes no difference it always says 'Analog' next to the panel model Does this matter Should I dig out my adapter to use HDMI to be sure I'm getting the best quality possible Thanks for any help I'm usually decent with this stuff but this is just a bit confusing I can't imagine why it would say Analog

A:New Monitor hooked up via DVI, but Win7 says analog?

I have the exact same monitor and it shows the same thing. It is likely a typo/misprint in the driver INF, which if you're feeling real adventurous you can try and find the line in the INF for it and change it manually. And no it doesn't affect how the monitor works or is detected, just in how it is listed in Device Manager and Windows display settings.

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/224626-new-monitor-hooked-up-via-dvi-but-win7-says-analog.html
Relevancy 59.34%

Hello Everyone tower will turn off not The problem that I am having with my system is that every time I click the shutdown icon and when the message appears tower will not turn off telling me it is now safe to turn off my computer I press the power button nothing happens the message on my screen is still on press serveral times even hold the power button in for couple of minutes and still it will not turn off I went into BIOS and there is nothing in it to cofigure the power mode or the shutdown I am at loss here I check for virus spyware and tower will not turn off every thing else that I can thing of using professional mechanic and another thing the lights for the power status and hard drive are not on the reset button does not even work when I press it also the sleep button my motherboard is a GFXcel PC in which i will like to disassemble and clean but i do not have a manual for it and that i will be confuse and lost with the power connections when it comes to reconnection Any suggestions

A:tower will not turn off

Check here: PC Chips
Just search for the board

Or here
There is a download at the bottom of the page for the manual.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/tower-will-not-turn-off-99353.html
Relevancy 59.34%

I m not very knowledgeable when it comes to computer ah specs or finding information about the one I have so I don t have much for you to go on Computer is a Dell with Windows XP Home Edition Monitor is LCD A few days ago around Wednesday morning my monitor began to click on and off The screen would flash black and the light next to the on off button would flash from green on to yellow orange off At first it wasn t that bad When I switched pages on the internet scrolled or highlighted something on the page it would flash It steadily got worse going from internet pages to flashing on and Monitor Solved: is Monitor blinking Tower problem? off. or on and off right when I turned the computer on all through the loading and welcome Solved: Monitor or Tower problem? Monitor is blinking on and off. screens I thought maybe it was just the Solved: Monitor or Tower problem? Monitor is blinking on and off. monitor so I switched it out and hooked up my old hp pavilion mx monitor That monitor worked perfectly fine with my old tower but when hooked up to my new one it Erm got static-y It looked like an old TV that had a VHS tape in the player being re-wound I know that sounds odd but it was like spikes from the side of the screen surging inwards I thought it was because the monitor was so much older than the tower Soon the static got steadily worse and I used it for about a day before it got to be too much I switched to Safe Mode with Networking on the hp monitor to see what would happen and it was fine No static Today I switched back to my LCD monitor and put that into Safe Mode with Networking and no blinking on and off I am very confused Is this a monitor problem Or a tower problem Any help MUCH appreciated If I m not giving enought to go on I could search around and try to dig up more info I can t do much in Safe Mode though Thanks -Rum nbsp

A:Solved: Monitor or Tower problem? Monitor is blinking on and off.

Video card is busted. When in safe mode, the video card's drivers are not loaded, so the card does not function at "full blast". It will not cause trouble because of that.
Dell model would help finding a replacement, but it can well be assumed that there's a PCI-E 16x slot for add-on graphics. This would be a cheap replacement in that case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121302

This is all an assumption on the most propable cause. The problem could also be your power supply or motherboard, but those are pretty unlikely.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-monitor-or-tower-problem-monitor-is-blinking-on-and-off.813374/
Relevancy 59.34%

I hooked up my broken screen toshiba XP laptop to a external monitor with a VGA. I removed the laptop screen driver, and installed the new monitors drivers and was able to change the resloution to reasonable size. It worked great, for a day. Now the screen only shows the windows start up logo and then turns black. I know the computer is still running because i can still log into my accont when I guess the right buttons. HOW CAN I MAKE THIS WORK? thanks much.

Relevancy 58.91%

Help, I shut my computer down the other night. I tried to turn it on yesterday, but the green light or the Gateway icon is not lit. I can hear the fan going, and a orange light that is in the shape of a battery stays lit. Please help!!!

A:Computer tower will not turn on..

Do you have another PSU that you can try in the computer?

What model # is your Gateway?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-tower-will-not-turn-on.1052102/
Relevancy 58.91%

There was a storm last night with a lot of lightening. This morning my tower wont turn on and there is a green light flashing at the front and at the back. My speakers and monitor are working.

Relevancy 58.91%

MY COMPUTER WON'T TURN ON, THERE'S POWER, I SEE A LIGHT IN THE BACK. I'VE HAD PROBLEMS SHUTTING DOWN, HAVING TO REPEAT IT BECAUSE IT'S EITHER TOO SLOW, OR NOT GETTING THE MESSAGE. FINALLY IT TURNED OFF, AND NOW WILL NOT TURN BACK ON. SEEMS LIKE THE ON BUTTON DOESN'T WORK ! ALSO SOMETIME GET BLACK SCREEN MESSAGE, " PROGRAM 3 MISSING" OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT.
I'VE CHECKED ALL CONNECTIONS, POWER SWITCH, PLUGGED AND RE PLUGGED IN....WHAT CAN I DO ?

A:TOWER WONT TURN ON

Do you have vision problems jeanneg? I can type in caps as well if you do. Do you hear any noises when you try powering on or just dead silence?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/tower-wont-turn-on-670228.html
Relevancy 58.91%

Is there any way to turn off the multi-coloured lights on the tower without having to open up the tower?  I really don't have the experience and know-how to start fooling around the inside of a computer tower.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Video-Display-and-Touch/Turn-off-lights-on-tower/td-p/5677433
Relevancy 58.48%

Dear Friends Can anybody please help me with this weird thing My laptop Dell Latitude D After power failure the computer failed to boot It did beep signaling error but can t recall the sequence What I saw is that any time I try to turn on the boot starts however the screen is black but faint picture of the booting sequence can be discerned hooked monitor D600 external unless won't Dell Latitude boot Then an orange led on the right led bus turned on and the computer shuts down itself I suspected that the inverter blew out and purchased compatible one second hand However it is important to say that the computer boots and works just as always if external monitor is hooked behind The monitor can be turned off and the laptop will still go up without problem However if the external monitor cable or power cable are unplugged the same kind of failure to boot ensues Also if the external monitor is hooked and the laptop had been booted even after any time once I unplug the monitor cable or its power cable the orange led turns on the computer turns off When I received the second hand inverter I installed it although it isn t identical to the original one After installation the monitor came back to life with light and picture but either during boot or short after that the Dell Latitude D600 won't boot unless external monitor hooked orange led turns on and the computer shuts down I tried to change BIOS settings and several times I could make my computer to boot for long period of times but during boot is always show for short time the orange led Also new warning came regarding the battery exhaustion and that I need to plug the ac adapter although the adapter is ALWAYS in since the battery is old Now the laptop never boots just like right after the inverter blowing However in external monitor is hooked as before the computer boots in a natural way no orange led and both external and laptop screens are working beautifully Now the very best thing for me is unsurprisingly to fix the entire problem and that the laptop will just function regularly As a worst case I don t care if the laptop will beet even without its inherent monitor since I always hook it eventually to projector However I need it to be immune to external monitor unhooking and that it will stay on until I hook it to the projector Any ideas Can I alter the BIOS to ignore failure modes To omit the internal screen Anything wise at all Thank you all in advance Yours Tournesol An interesting update When the laptop is running with external and its own screens together and the external monitor is unhooked for a very short time and glugged in immediatly the orange led shows up and a warning that the battery is too low and I should plug in the AC Note that anyway the laptop is always on ac since the battery is low and anyway why it is responding to the external monitor BTW if I unplug the monitor and fail to plug it is fast enough the computer goes down as if the battery is dead and its not hooked to the AC nbsp

A:Dell Latitude D600 won't boot unless external monitor hooked

Sounds like the motherboard has been damaged in a subtle way and it will have to be replaced. You have two problems. Usually when an external monitor only works normally it indicates the the LCD panel or inverter is bad. You have had some success changing the inverter, but the laptop shouldn't shut down on its own

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-latitude-d600-wont-boot-unless-external-monitor-hooked.155191/
Relevancy 58.48%

I ve got a Toshiba l d The other day my laptop was sitting on a desk playing music when the screen went gray with black bars going across it vertically I d never seen anything like this and it was completely frozen so I manually powered it off and restarted Then the screen wouldn t come on I ve managed to get it to display through an external screen and to my surprise the screen on my actual laptop would come back on after I d get to the Windows Vista login screen I unhooked the monitor cable tested Windows a little bit everything work to monitor external first Laptop upon hooked screen won't unless powering, seemed to be working okay and then restarted It restarted just fine So I tried shutting down but it the screen wont power on if it s turned off If I hook it to the external monitor again i can get back to Windows I m just trying Laptop screen won't work upon powering, unless first hooked to external monitor to figure out why it Laptop screen won't work upon powering, unless first hooked to external monitor won t power the screen on its own Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-screen-wont-work-upon-powering-unless-first-hooked-to-external-monitor.1021809/
Relevancy 58.05%

Hi my computer is a windows home premium bit My friend built it for Wont Computer Tower on Turn me and im not very great with computers but i usually leave my computer on It works fine its a great system and one day when i left with my friends to go fishing it was on but when i came back the next day it was off So i went to turn it on and it wouldn't turn on I unplugged it plugged it Computer Tower Wont Turn on back in and made sure the outlet was working There are two buttons near the plug one that Computer Tower Wont Turn on sais and and another one that has A H D i think or A L D but the switch for the first one is covering the and is showing I have the O I On I i made sure but even when i click the power Computer Tower Wont Turn on button nothing will start Theres a green light on the inside thats just a solid green light Ive read around and people say that that means the tower is receiving power So i dont know what it is i have no real smarts with computers so i wont know how to remove anything from the inside or anything but i know that the fans are working i have on the computer to keep it fine I spun them and there all still fine But there may have been a power outage while their gone could that have caused my system to stop working would love any help i can get

A:Computer Tower Wont Turn on

I guess one thing you could try is to unplug it, hold down the power button for about 30 seconds or so, let it sit for about 15 minutes, then plug it back in and try to start it.

Quote: Originally Posted by Smartyhead

...and another one that has A , H , D i think or A , L , D .............. I have the O, I On I i made sure but even when i click the power button nothing will start....

I'm unsure what that means. Maybe if you post a pic of it...

Quote: Originally Posted by Smartyhead

...but i know that the fans are working i have 3 on the computer to keep it fine. I spun them and there all still fine. But there may have been a power outage while their gone could that have caused my system to stop working !?? would love any help i can get .

Were any of the fans spinning by themselves when the power was on?

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/235937-computer-tower-wont-turn.html
Relevancy 58.05%

First, I must say that I dusted this particular tower with compressed air. I had a little trouble getting the side panel off, and jostled it a little bit.

Anyway, I tried to turn it on this morning and the top light indicator flashes green once, then starts slooowly flashing dark red. I can count to 3ish in between flashes. The bottom light indicator also flashes faintly red.

I should probably add that this has happened before... I just figured I didn't push the power button correctly. Flipping the power strip on and off and trying again resolved always resolved it.

I bought it second hand but it has a sticker with some numbers on the top:

HP compaq
D3|vm|p24|40|k|256cr us
product # DL324A#ABA
SIN: mxd31904pj

2 pics of the inside:
http://i.imgur.com/3KLZ7Eb.png
http://i.imgur.com/Uarrcxx.jpg

A:Flashing red light when trying to turn on tower?

The flashing LED is an error indicator. The error is identified by the number of flashes:

LED and beep condition Description Power button LED blinks
4 times with 4 beeps Power Supply Power button LED blinks
5 times with 5 beeps Memory Power button LED blinks
6 times with 6 beeps Video Card or Graphics Power button LED blinks
7 times with 7 beeps Motherboard or System Board failure Power button LED blinks
8 times with 8 beeps BIOS or CMOS problem (ROM)
Having said that, if removing/restoring power to the PC resolves the problem, that typically indicates a faulty power supply.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/flashing-red-light-when-trying-to-turn-on-tower.1106862/
Relevancy 57.62%

First of my monitor exhibited signs of turn computer anything when show My my Computer monitor I on. doesn't flickering during start-up but only minor ones and would just stop at the 'Welcome' screen of windows so I didn't give it much thought Iv'e been using it with the cpu the same time I bought the monitor But after some time the flickering got worse It went from - second My Computer monitor doesn't show anything when I turn my computer on. interval flickers to a whole seconds of blackness before it showed anything Now Iv'e got a new cpu but still using the old monitor After a day or so the monitor exhibited the first symptoms of my first cpu so I just dismissed it But after a My Computer monitor doesn't show anything when I turn my computer on. week It got a hell worse before I even start-up my computer the monitor doesn't show Analog Digital at the top-left corner of the screen PLUS my cpu keeps restarting after I pushed the ON button after seconds or so My question Is the monitor responsible for the restart and what could be the reason for the flickering Thanks for a fast reply

A:My Computer monitor doesn't show anything when I turn my computer on.

Quote: Originally Posted by pokeman5

First of, my monitor exhibited signs of flickering during start-up, but only minor ones and would just stop at the 'Welcome' screen of windows so I didn't give it much thought. Iv'e been using it with the cpu the same time I bought the monitor.

My question, Is the monitor responsible for the restart and what could be the reason for the flickering?

Thanks for a fast reply.

Welcome Pokeman5 to the windows 7 forums.

The graphics card might be your culprit. Please update your system configuration settings under user cp so that others can maybe help you.
Usually the monitor won't stop your machine from booting. The graphic card most likely be the cause.

There is also the possibility that your power supply could be defective or going bad. Lots of possibilities.

Rich

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/222792-my-computer-monitor-doesnt-show-anything-when-i-turn-my-computer.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Hello my name is Sebastian Todd, I've been using my dell computer for more than 2 years now with absolutely no problems affecting it, due to my proper maintenance. About 1 month ago, I turned it off by clicking the "shut down" button. Ever since then, I haven't been able to turn it back on. When I push the power button on the tower, it emits a yellow/orange light for about a quarter of a second. I know for a fact that there is a sufficient power supply, due to the green light being emitted on the back of the tower. I don't know what to do, and am not economically ready to purchase a new computer. PLEASE HELP! (inspiron 545)

- Sebastian Todd

A:Dell Tower won't turn on/boot - (inspiron 545)

sebtodd
Does the power supply fan run/work?
The green light on the back of the power supply does not indicate that the power supply has not failed, it only indicates that power is reaching the PSU. What colour is the power button light, is it Blinking, Solid or Off?Are there any 'Beeps'?
 The Inspiron 535/537/545/546 Service Manual, is here:
ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_inspiron_desktop/inspiron-546_Service%20Manual_en-us.pdf
The Troubleshooter, is here:
ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_inspiron_desktop/inspiron-546_Setup%20Guide_en-us.pdf
Bev.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19577721
Relevancy 57.62%

i am using my laptop to report this.cause i can't use the one with the black screen.HELP!!!!!! when it first comes on its like it tries to start but just stays black.can it be fixed or do i have to buy a new screen?(i'm not sure if its called the screen or the monitor.i just know that when i turn the tower on,there is no picture .

A:black screen after i turn my tower to my other computer on.r

If you do not see the message "No Signal" on the monitor screen, very likely it's the monitor itself which is faulty or "dead".To check if it is indeed the monitor which needs replacing, connect it to your laptop if possible (there should be a VGA port on one side of your laptop so you can connect the monitor using the same VGA cable that connects monitor to your PC). If the monitor does not work on your laptop either, you need a new monitor.However, if your tower is not starting up it won't be a faulty monitor. There is something wrong inside the tower. Get someone to check it over, maybe needs a new PSU (Power Supply Unit) which fits inside the tower.Do not rush out to buy a new monitor if the tower is not starting up as the problem will be inside the tower.message edited by phil22

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-vista/black-screen-after-i-turn-my-tower-to-my-other-computer-onr/13729.html
Relevancy 56.76%

Brand: Gateway
Type: Desktop
Model: LP MINI TOWER TB3 Essential 500

Problem: Won't turn on
Manufacture Date: 12/02/99

A:Gateway LP MINI TOWER TB3 Essential 500 Desktop won't turn on.

This computer is 16 years old and came with Windows 98. It isn't worth spending time worrying about it; it is just too old and slow.
Processor: Intel Pentium III, 497 MHz
It probably has at most 256MB of RAM.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/gateway-lp-mini-tower-tb3-essential-500-desktop-wont-turn-on.1146041/
Relevancy 56.33%

Hi,
i pluged in my hard disk to another computer to format it. Now when i was finished i pluged my hard disk back to my pc. Now when i turn on computer monitor just go to sleep and nothing happends. I dont have any OS right now and i cant modify anything. Maybe i did something with my hard disk wrong i dont know. please help me.

A:My computer monitor doesn't come on when i turn my computer on

Why did you take it to a different computer to format?
Do you have the o/s cd in the drive to boot from?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-computer-monitor-doesnt-come-on-when-i-turn-my-computer-on.132918/
Relevancy 55.47%

I'm looking to upgrade my dad's computer setup. He has a Gateway with Windows 98 -- all hardware from around '97 or '98. It needs upgraded so I wanted to get something like this new tower, but he wants to keep the same monitor. Will a 10+ year old monitor work with a modern tower?

A:Getting a new tower for old monitor

it will definitely work , it will just look like crap.. its totally worth getting an LCD if what you currently have is an older CRT monitor

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/getting-a-new-tower-for-old-monitor.979855/
Relevancy 55.47%

About 6 months ago, i was moving furniture around in my room and whilst moving, my tower fell over and hit my carpet, and the case cracked. Ive been using my older tower for quite some time now. Ive deleted all viruses, spyware, addware...still didnt help. anyways to the point..I tried to hook up my other tower, which is alot better, but whenever i hook it up and turn it on, i get no reaction from the monitor. Ive tried unplugging and replugging it, and the dell symbol shows up on my monitor but then my monitor goes blank. Ive tried hitting f8 many times, but nothing comes up. Can anyone help me? Ive also opened my tower, cleared any dust, and all parts are connected as they should be.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-with-monitor-and-tower.660605/
Relevancy 55.47%

A friend recently gave me an old tower of his with Windows XP installed. He did not give me a monitor. I was hoping I could use a VGA monitor cable and be able to plug that cable into my laptop and the tower but I am having difficulties. There is no place for me to "physically" boot up to that tower. Do I need to buy another/different cable to do something like this?

A:Tower with no Monitor

Quote: Originally Posted by codyw

A friend recently gave me an old tower of his with Windows XP installed. He did not give me a monitor. I was hoping I could use a VGA monitor cable and be able to plug that cable into my laptop and the tower but I am having difficulties. There is no place for me to "physically" boot up to that tower. Do I need to buy another/different cable to do something like this?

Don't even think about using the laptop screen as the desktop monitor unless you know exactly what you are doing, how the desktop was configured, etc. What you are proposing is having the XP desktop set up like a headless server, connecting the desktop and laptop via a crossover cable (or connecting to a network) then "running" the desktop using remote access from the laptop. Not a simple undertaking.

Buy a cheap used monitor and keyboard for the desktop - it's cheaper than replacing a fried laptop!

Regards,
GEWB

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/175910-tower-no-monitor.html
Relevancy 55.47%

we have 2 SSD connected on the Gray connectors. When I try to connect a 3rd SSD on white or black connectors, the SSD isn't recogonized even in Bios. Sata (0) and Sata (1) are recogonized I tried to swap the new one with gray connectors, and it worked. How can I connect the 3rd SSD. Anything needs to be enabled? I checked in BIOS and not a lot of options for this. Updated the BIOS firmware to 3.84 and still no luck. I found a similar thread http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/Adding-a-drive-to-a... but is not of help Kindly help. Product: HP Z420 Tower Workstation

A:3rd SSD doesn't work when connected - HP Z420 Tower workstat...

Is the third SSD the very same specification type?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/3rd-SSD-doesn-t-work-when-connected-HP-Z420-Tower/td-p/5695085
Relevancy 55.04%

I have a bit of a strange issue with my and Fans Computer Turn Doesn't on, on Automatically Lights Some Turn computer Forgive me if I m a little too descriptive but I m not sure which details are relevant and which are not for such a problem First the specs Computer Doesn't Turn on, Fans and Some Lights Turn on Automatically Model eMachines T Operating System Windows XP Service Pack Processor Intel Celeron Computer Doesn't Turn on, Fans and Some Lights Turn on Automatically D Processor GHZ K L Cache MHZ FSB Power Supply Unit Bestec Model ATX- - E REV P Motherboard I can t tell but it appears to be an Intel motherboard by the number of Intel labels on it RAM MB DDR SD originally added GB a couple of months ago Let me know if you need anything else Yesterday I got home from shopping around PM and I tried to start the computer I pushed the power button and nothing happened I checked all of the cords and they were all plugged in Not knowing what else to do I opened up the case to see if there was something obviously wrong The only thing that I noticed other than a bunch of dust was that the power supply unit was still hot I shut the computer down about hours earlier after about minutes of use so it seemed strange that the power supply was still hot I unplugged the computer just in case there was some sort of fire hazard At this point I called a friend who suggested that the problem might be with the motherboard or the power supply unit A few hours later I plugged it back in to try to get it to work As soon as I plugged it in the entire unit suddenly started quot running quot by itself I had not pushed the power button yet All of the fans turned on and the light on the front that turns on if the computer is processing something turned on but it was not as if the computer was processing something If the computer is processing something it flickers and clicks a little This was just a solid light with no quot clicking quot I pushed the power button but it didn t turn blue as it usually does if it turns on In fact nothing changed After about a minute and a half the entire unit shut down again and I was not able to get it to do the same thing again When I tried unplugging it and plugging it in again I could hear the unit try to start up again for a second but it would fail again Last night I opened it up to clean out the dust I figured that could be an issue with overheating despite the fans I basically took it apart and put it back together again to no avail I did find one loose wire in the power supply unit When I plugged it in it would turn on lights and fans but not the computer itself as it did earlier in the day but nothing new happened I noticed that a red light would go on when the computer was quot running quot but it would go off as soon as everything else turned off A similar green light would stay on when the computer was plugged in no matter what I did The power supply unit was no longer hot The entire unit except for the green light would shut down after about a minute This morning I tried to get it to work again and it was doing the same thing as it was last night I bought it about years ago when it was being phased out and I was planning on getting a new computer soon anyway so it s not a big deal if it s too serious I d probably try to fix it if I could do so for under Otherwise I ll probably get a new one I didn t really have anything important that I hadn t backed up on there but I d like to save the hard drive if I could I m a novice when it comes to hardware so I d be a little nervous about replacing major components I ve installed RAM and that s about it until last night So the three big questions What s wrong How can I fix it Is it worth fixing nbsp

A:Computer Doesn't Turn on, Fans and Some Lights Turn on Automatically

I would suspect that the Power Supply Unit (PSU) is going south. If you have a spare one laying around, install it and see if the problem goes away.
You can buy a new,better PSU from Newegg for about $40.00. I have used a Thermaltake 430 watt in one of my machines for some time now and it works well.
You will have to check the size of your PSU to be sure a new one will fit into the eMachine.
Here's the page with that PSU on it. It's the last one on the list.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010320058+50001379&name=Thermaltake

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-doesnt-turn-on-fans-and-some-lights-turn-on-automatically.624796/
Relevancy 55.04%

Forgive me if this is a will fire Monitor not tower up from redundant topic but I surfed thru many pages to try and find a similar topic Got a tower here that I am troubleshooting for my sister tower would turn on get to the tower Monitor will not fire up from tower flash screen then shut back off So I treplaced the power supply and unplugged the monitor cable from the onboard plug and I tried different video cards a PCI and an AGP style all fans and such come on no strange noises and no confirmation beeps when it boots I even yanked the HDD to gain access to it to save some data but this tower still wont fire up the monitor I have the orange light right now and it never goes green Any clues Motherboard shot Looks to be a Biostar MB in a CISNET tower whatever that is I can pick up a new MB if that s the problem but wanted to bounce it off someone in here first Thank You

A:Monitor will not fire up from tower

Have you tried to "reset" the bios with the jumper on the motherboard?

It is possible that a BIOS setting is keeping the video from being enumerated at bootup.

Hope this helps,

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/237406/monitor-will-not-fire-up-from-tower/
Relevancy 55.04%

I have a question about my HP Pavillion. I'm running XP and when I go to start the computer the tower sounds like it's booting up normally however when the monitor is turned on, the indicator light turns green then it automatically, less than 2 seconds later, turns orange..its as if the monitor shuts itself off. Also, the keyboard lights don't flash when the tower is booted up. I tried hooking another monitor up and the same thing happens. I got a tip to try bootdisk.com but I really don't know what i'm looking for. I was also told it could be a battery but again, I really don't know. Any help would be *greatly* appreciated. Thanks!

A:Tower Works but No Monitor

Hello and welome to TSG!

First, check the signal cable plug on the monitor do not have missing pins. If the monitor end of the signal cable can also be removed, check that as well.

Next, open the case and see if all your fans are working (the case fan, video card fan, power supply fan, processor fan, etc.)

You could also check to see if your video card is seated correctly in the motherboard.

I hope this helps!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/tower-works-but-no-monitor.181110/
Relevancy 55.04%

Hi there i tower black the Monitor but on. goes is still m having an issue where I would be browsing the web watching Netflix playing a game or even just going through Monitor goes black but the tower is still on. files and the computer would just go right to a black screen where the backlit LED lights are still visible and the monitors blue ON glow is still active and I would look over at the PC and it would still be on All noises from shows id be watching would play then cut out like they were interrupted and when i unplug the video cord and plug it back in all i get is a white static screen then it will usually go back to black backlit screen I have searched all over to find out the issue that is causing this but i just can t figure it out I would even hold the power button to restart the PC and the moment it would restart and be back at the home screen it would happen again Please help PC specs CPU Intel Core i - K GPU MSI GeForce GTX Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Gene VI Power Supply Corsair HX Ram G Skill Sniper GB Operating System Windows Pro nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/monitor-goes-black-but-the-tower-is-still-on.1168510/
Relevancy 55.04%

Hi I just got a pre-built iBuypower gaming PC with a new monitor today and I set up everything and put everything together from VGA to HDMI but nothing is working The monitor is still black The only time the monitor my is not tower. New monitor from showing anything new shows something is when I turn it on after a few seconds in which it flashes its logos and goes black and then my power LED for the monitor starts blinking blue My friends told me that PROBABLY my graphics card is not sending a signal to my monitor New monitor is not showing anything from my new tower. I also tried this on my old computer and it still didn't show anything on the screen at all How do I fix this I don't really know anything about computers THAT much so if you tell me to dissemble can you please tell me how to I just want my monitor New monitor is not showing anything from my new tower. to show something from my tower My tower is working completely fine The fans and everything is going and turns on perfectly It's just that monitor that is not working and I don't know what to do anymore after working on this for hours EDIT - I found out it isn't my monitor Since I tried it with my laptop and it works It's my PC Now how do I fix that

A:New monitor is not showing anything from my new tower.

Why are you using the VGA output? If this is a new PC and monitor they should both have DVI.

Or at least use (DVI to HDMI) or (HDMI to HDMI).

Check in BIOS for a preferred output device setting. Read the manual. Also check monitor for a source select button.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/373061-new-monitor-not-showing-anything-my-new-tower.html
Relevancy 55.04%

Right now troubles tower monitor and *again* I am really annoyed and fustrated I have an E machines Winows XP and it is doing the same thing that it monitor and tower troubles *again* did before I took it into Best Buy Last time I took it in I had to wait two months for it then it didn t work again because something was wrong with the mother board they put in and that cost me two extra weeks I finally get it back in January and now it is doing the same thing again and I refuse to take it back to Best Buy This is what it is doing The monitor has this window that always shows up and blinks when the tower is not on that says SELF CHECK CHECK YOUR PC MONITOR IS WORKING Apparently this is pretty much nothing because I can t self check check PC or see if the monitor is working What should happen is when I turn the tower on this huge white E should show up and the user names whould show up afterwards but it doesn t The tower makes the sound that its on but the same SELF CHECK window is still blinking as if the monitor never recognized that the tower is on I can t do anything with this computer and I would like a simple fix that doesn t cost me three months again and the worry of my C drive being erased because I have important files that I can t back up because the computer won t turn on in the first place Please help me nbsp

A:monitor and tower troubles *again*

Hello and Welcome...
Make sure your video connection's aren't loose. Check that where your monitor plugs into the pc hasn't worked loose.. It could also be a bad cable.. If you are comfortable opening up the case and it has a video card (as opposed to the video being intergrated with the motherboard) check that it hasn't come loose as well. If you have access to a different monitor you might try it on your pc also. Something else you can try is resetting the 'CMOS'. While inside the case look for a battery attached to the motherboard. I will look like a large watch battery.. take it out , wait a couple of minutes and then put it back.. If the machine is stuck in a CMOS error this should clear that.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/monitor-and-tower-troubles-again.685292/
Relevancy 54.61%

I just put together my first computer 6 months ago. It abruply shutdow in the middle of writing a paper for school. I couldn't turn it back on right away. after trying a few times, it turned on. All the fans are working even the fan on the power supply, the motherboards lights are on. My graphic card in on the motherboard. I think it might be my power supply because when I first put it together I didn't plug in the smaller power connection to the motherboard and the same thing is happening, black screen. It's like my computer isn't giving my monitor any feed. I will have more info when I get home. I can't get in to bios or safe mode.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-shutdown-doesnt-turn-on-right-away-when-it-does-turn-on-its-black.871317/
Relevancy 54.61%

Hello TSG My girlfriend is having a few difficulties with her GB Buffalo External Hard Drive As of this morning her Laptop hasn t been able to turn on if the HDD is plugged in and turn HDD Solved: if HDD Laptop doesn't plugg Doesn't - is EXT EXT BSOD's on recognise if she plugs the HDD in while turned on the Laptop doesn t recognise it and Blue Screens after a few minutes She hasn t had the Hard Drive long coming up to a year now and her Laptop is a Fujitsu Siemens with Windows OS She says she doesn t want to reformat though it sounds more of a power issue to me if possible as she has a lot of photographs and work on there she doesn t wish to loose If anyone has any idea what s wrong please let us know Thanks a lot EDIT - I just advised her to try plugging the EXT HDD into another plug socket and low and behold it works again She said however that when she plugged it in blue sparks flickered Solved: Laptop doesn't recognise EXT HDD BSOD's - Doesn't turn on if EXT HDD is plugg at Solved: Laptop doesn't recognise EXT HDD BSOD's - Doesn't turn on if EXT HDD is plugg the socket for a few seconds which really doesn t sound good Any idea if it s the HDD s plug itself going or is it Solved: Laptop doesn't recognise EXT HDD BSOD's - Doesn't turn on if EXT HDD is plugg the sockets in her room lt gt Cheers nbsp

A:Solved: Laptop doesn't recognise EXT HDD BSOD's - Doesn't turn on if EXT HDD is plugg

Can you try the external drive on another PC as a test

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-laptop-doesnt-recognise-ext-hdd-bsods-doesnt-turn-on-if-ext-hdd-is-plugg.922021/
Relevancy 54.18%

Hi again so I had tower Monitor still is while black running Goes the this issue before and I had help with someone saying it mightve been the graphics card Well I replaced it with Monitor Goes black while the tower is still running a new one and I didnt experience the issue for a few days but just a half hour ago it happened again twice So it s been narrowed down it isn t the GPU like most of my friends thought but I have no way of checking if its anything else due to a backup power supply being too low wattage and well that would be about the only other part I have haha This issue is really causing my anxiety to hit new levels as I just can t figure this out I have never experienced this before till about Monitor Goes black while the tower is still running the beginning of march I thought it was driver issues but I went through older and newer ones to no avail and my monitor is just fine I have already tested that theory Could it be the modular power cables attached to the graphics card Could it be the motherboard failing My BIOS is also at stock nothing is overclocked and speccy is reporting everything at normal temps Please Help PC Specs CPU Intel i K Devil s Canyon GPU MSI GeForce GTX GAMING ME the G one thats red but green Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Gene VI Z chipset Power Supply Corsair HX Watt not the hx i Ram G Skill Sniper GB DDR nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/monitor-goes-black-while-the-tower-is-still-running.1168706/
Relevancy 54.18%

Not sure if i'm in the right place or not so apologies in advance.
I've just bought a new tower with Windows 7 on it and tried installing it today, it's now 12 hours later and i cannot get monitor, keyboard, mouse to work. They were working last night with the old tower. The light comes on the monitor but turns to orange and says No signal.
The buttons on the front don't wnat to work at all i have to use the one at the back and i have no clue what to do next.
I thought it would be a good idea to buy exactly what i wanted but maybe i've made a mistake and should have bought one 'all in'.
Trouble is i'd bought the accessories not too long ago and i was loathe to buy new just for the sake of it.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/new-tower-with-windows7-wont-power-to-monitor-432159.html
Relevancy 54.18%

Hi guys, was having a discussion today at work about how I would much rather have a PC tower than a laptop, and it got me thinking, is there a way send a wireless video signal from a PC Tower to a PC Monitor?

Cheers

A:Is there a way to connect a PC Tower wirelessly to a PC Monitor

You can send HDMI over wireless. Some reviews of wireless HDMI transmitters here.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/349712-there-way-connect-pc-tower-wirelessly-pc-monitor.html
Relevancy 54.18%

hello there, my desktop PC keeps randomly having the monitor go black with a message coming up saying no signal however this is not all. if i am watching a video it will loop the sound also, so its just turns into an elongated humming noise. does anyone know what to do? i have taken it to a technician he said he took it apart and rebuilt it and left it on for around 2-3 days and this didn't happen. over the course of 10 days he tested what he could and still did'nt know. i got the pc back around 3-4 days ago and it's only just started happening again. i have 7 fans and a big cpu heatsink so im not sure its temperature.

the computer remains on and humming normally throughout all of this. i have tried different hdmi cables also and no difference.

what info would you guys need?

Relevancy 54.18%

A friends pc (built by her dad so i've no idea what components) seems to have a loose connection somewhere internal or on the monitor cable (though im sure its not the cable-i've played round and it doesnt seem to matter) and the monitor only recieves a signal (reports no signal at all-so it doesnt even know it's plugged in) when the tower is on it's side-it's built in video (but an AGP slot is there too) on an intel board. Any ideas?

Relevancy 54.18%

Hello! I was cleaning the fans in my tower bC they needed it, and when I put the case back on, and went to use the computer, the monitors are on but not waking up. It is like they have no idea the computer is on and I'm waiting for them to function. What could I have done??

Relevancy 54.18%

ok right now my monitor is roughly 10inches from my tower. i have heard that the magnets in the hard drives can mess up your monitor if placed too close. although i was never able to confirm this. should i move my tower? i figured 10 inches was plenty. there are no speakers even close to monitor. but i am considering buying a nice new monitor and i woud like to know before i place it where my old one was

it could just be my monitor it is old and cheap and is getting darker and darker and little lines are beginning to form.

any thoughts plz

A:Monitor too close to tower dangerous?

i wouldnt worry about your HDs messing up your monitor, unless you put a magnet on the screen your okay. definetly keep large powerfull speekers away from your Hard drives they are more sensitive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/monitor-too-close-to-tower-dangerous.207447/
Relevancy 54.18%

somethin is not right here....my tower is turned on but there is no signal goin to the monitor....and the lights on the tower lights is now red....one of my dvd drivers open half way and the other just wont open...it has to be the damn voltage settings on my power supply

the story is there was a shutdown in my area for almost 12 hours becuz the city needed to rewire and fix some **** on the ground.

and when the power was up again...this happened.

i thought at first it was a bios issue so i took out that little round thing out of the motherboard and put it back but no luck......

my powersuppy is a 500w antec.....and i have a gigabyte motherboard.

the bad thing about my powersupply is theres no voltage switcher....so i dont know how to adjust it...... ANY HELP well be appreciated

A:TOWER lights up but monitor no signal

You have a few misperceptions on how things work... such as voltage switcher on the power supply. You don't want to mess with the power supply.
Your problem could be power supply, hard drive, video graphics, or memory failure... or some other problem.
You can help us help you by posting your computuer brand and model as well as operating system, age of the unit, memory installed, and type of video graphics.
Further, we would like to know what antivirus software, Antispyware, and rootkit snoopers you have installed.
What was going on with your computer when the power failure hit? As that seems critical.
What was that little round thing? A CMOS battery with the number 2032?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/tower-lights-up-but-monitor-no-signal.80652/
Relevancy 54.18%

when I turn on the computer it beeps then turns the monitor off, so I cant do anything at all, the tower stays on

A:tower stays on, monitor turns off

Are you asking about a desktop or laptop? We need the model/model number & the exact beep code sequence - long/short & pauses. As Dashing_star pointed out, beeps are usually related to RAM or graphics problems.The following is for Dell desktops. Scroll down to the chart for BIOS beep codes:http://en.community.dell.com/suppor...

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-xp/tower-stays-on-monitor-turns-off/203525.html
Relevancy 54.18%

I have a dell inspiron n it has the following specs years since purchse core i GB b of RAM nvidia gt graphics card gb dedicated Windows bit GB HDD The laptop was or screen booting turn beeps no doesn't on, Laptop boot, sounds doesn't are heard error working fine yesterday and when i went to sleep i properly turned it off without any errors occurring Today when i turned it on - -the power button turns on -the three support buttons on the top Laptop doesn't boot, screen doesn't turn on, no error beeps or booting sounds are heard right corner of the laptop flash -i can see battery and power notification lights but the hard drive light doesn t blink or turn on -i can hear and in fact glimpse the fan working -the screen shows nothing it isn t a black screen because that would imply that the screen still turns on but the screen remains off nbsp -I hear no error beeps or any kind of booting sounds -I should also probably mention that recently the AC adapter of the laptop wasn t working properly and i had part of its main connecting wires replaced while keeping the circuit board or main work board intact and it worked fine after that but i am guessing the repair may have something to do with this new issue I have tried the hard reset or flea power method hoping it would solve the problem but it hasn t work even after multiple attempts The laptop is no longer under warranty and if the issue is dire and i suspect it is i would have to send the computer to a dell support nbsp and repair center and i have nbsp heard maintenance and repair costs may be as much as the laptop s price depending on the nature of the fault nbsp But at this moment i have no idea what the fault is nbsp Please suggest any faults that may cause such a situation and a suitable course of action for a solution

A:Laptop doesn't boot, screen doesn't turn on, no error beeps or booting sounds are heard

This fixed my problem with my Lenovo. Thanks so much!

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19516269
Relevancy 53.75%

Blank monitor when pc tower is powered on,I tried another or different hard drive and still no picture. Hhelp

A:My monitor shows no picture when tower is powered on

Did anything happen to it or did you make any changes to it between the last time it worked OK and the first time it didn't?Do you hear any beeps when you attempt to start it up?Often that symptom is due to a bad PSU or motherboard (not that that narrows it down much).

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-xp/my-monitor-shows-no-picture-when-tower-is-powered-on/203607.html
Relevancy 53.75%

I have an Optiplex 790 Mini-Tower with an i5-2400 and integrated Intel HD 2000 video.
The case has both a VGA and Display Port connector, I am presently using the VGA port. I am investigating going for a Dual Monitor setup and am confused whether I can do so without having to purchase a discrete video card. I am reading conflicting reports that some say yes and others no. Can some kind soul please confirm one way or the other ?
I do not use the PC for gaming, it is work only with the occasional video and web browsing. Mainly I need dual monitor for multiple file editing, scripting, database programming etc.
Many thanks, Fin.

A:Optiplex 790 Mini-Tower Dual Monitor ?

Hi Fin,
OptiPlex 790's onboard video solution supports both VGA and DisplayPort at the same time. You can connect two monitors to the computer without adding a discrete card.
Please let me know if you need further information.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3515/t/19511921
Relevancy 53.75%

Hi there, Matt lost monitor signal while tower is still on. IP address of the tower can't be detected. Checked windows logs says Kernel power 41 error. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

A:Matt Lost monitor signal while tower is still on

Code:
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nscm.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for nscm.sys
* Bugcheck Analysis *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 1000007E, {ffffffffc0000005, 0, fffff88004059738, fffff88004058f90}

Probably caused by : nscm.sys ( nscm+37f2 )

Followup: MachineOwner
---------
Looks like an issue with Novell. You will need to contact them to resolve the issue.

See:
Support | Random blue screen caused by NSCM.SYS

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/389138-matt-lost-monitor-signal-while-tower-still.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Not sure if I'm able to set up dual monitors with my 750-167c tower.  It looks as though there is only one video output.  Is that correct?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Video-Display-and-Touch/can-I-have-a-dual-monitor-setup-with-my-750-167c-tower/td-p/5717699
Relevancy 52.46%

Hi everyone I m new here and have read over some of the posts and stickies but have not found my issue I have a Dell Pentium R CPU GHz and GB RAM extra added tower - Dell monitor brightens/darkens 4550 overheating? by me I have never gotten any kind of Dell 4550 monitor brightens/darkens - tower overheating? warning or message that my tower fan was not working properly For the last couple of weeks I have noticed my computer monitor brightening a lot and then darkening screen is still readable and then going back to normal This will happen anywhere from to times in a two hour period I have been Dell 4550 monitor brightens/darkens - tower overheating? turning off the computer when not in use giving it a chance to cool down which I now realize was the worst thing to do Today when I went to fire it up for about the third time during the start-up Windows shut down quot to protect itself quot and gave me a blue screen message to turn off the computer and restart I did and have not had that issue again Dell 4550 monitor brightens/darkens - tower overheating? today I have placed a large fan behind the tower and the problem seems to have stopped for now which leads me to believe the problem is caused by overheating The tower casing was cleaned inside around months ago but was very dusty My questions Does this sound like a tower fan problem and how do I check that it is working properly Are there capacitors or something else I should be checking for heat damage and replacing I know I really just need a new computer but that won t be happening for a while so any help you could give me to keep this one sputtering along would be greatly appreciated Thanks much nbsp

A:Dell 4550 monitor brightens/darkens - tower overheating?

Hi Jeri, welcome to TS. I'm not sure specifically about the 4550, but I know most Dells will post a warning on boot if the fan isn't working properly. If you haven't seen the message, it's probably not the fan.

If you're up to it (which it sounds like you are if you upgraded the ram yourself), open it up and look if the fan is spinning while the computer's running and also while you're in there dust out the computer, especially the cpu cooler and video card heatsink. While cleaning it out, look at the capacitors on the motherboard and/or video card to make sure they aren't leaking or bulging. A cap should be flat on top, it should not be "pointy" or rounded on top or leaking from the top or bottom. I've seen bad caps on a 4550 before, close to the cpu socket (between the rear ports and cpu), so make sure to look to be sure. You may have to remove the green "air duct" to be able to see the caps on the board.

Also, are you sure the problem is with the computer and not the monitor? It almost sounds like you might be having a problem with the backlighting on the monitor (assuming it's an lcd). Any chance of testing the monitor on another computer to be sure?

I suppose there's always the possibility of a a failing power supply as well. Sometimes when a power supply is flaky (power fluctuations, noise, etc) it can cause weird issues like BSODs among other things. It's possible that your power supply fan could have failed, and if the power supply is overheating it could be acting up.

Best wishes.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-4550-monitor-brightens-darkens-tower-overheating.132728/
Relevancy 52.46%

hey... My computer switches on when i press the power button but no power is going to to the key board or mouse and there is no picture on the monitor........ this all started when i changed one of the settings on the F2(bios setting) and it switched off...... when i switch off the computer all fans are working all lights are working just no picture and power to mouse and key board. how do i undo what i have done. please help

A:computer tower ons.....no port workin .no picture on the monitor and key board not wo

Can you see the POST screen to enter back into the BIOS? You may need to go back in with the manual for the PC and make sure everything is properly set. If you used F2 to enter the BIOS, it should work, but you will need to make sure the display setting is supported. If you disable on board video, you will need to get a stand a lone video card to make the change.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-tower-ons-no-port-workin-no-picture-on-the-monitor-and-key-board-not-wo.1029960/
Relevancy 52.46%

Hello Folks I'm not sure if my issue is with hardware possibly MB or graphics card so please forgive me if I've posted in the wrong section The first problem I was having was random blue screens of death that displayed graphic card driver issues I was able to remedy that by updating my graphic drivers On Monitor, Off PC Later Turn Turn and Running Screen, Black Still and have not had an issue since However ever since then I have been running into another hardware or graphics-related issue that is random and completely stumping me What is happening is I will be on my computer leave and turn my monitor off and randomly when I come back to use my computer again when I turn on the monitor there is no signal and a black screen e g when I turn my monitor on my desktop will pop up and the light on my Turn Off Monitor, Turn On Later and Black Screen, PC Still Running monitor will turn blue when it doesn't turn on there will be a black screen Turn Off Monitor, Turn On Later and Black Screen, PC Still Running and the light on the monitor stays yellow as if it is idle I have tried swapping out the monitor to see if that was the issue and the same problem persists so it does not appear to be my monitor or VGA cables The only way I can temporarily fix this issue is to reboot restart my computer and viola The monitor works again and I can see everything This issue is very random Sometimes I can go weeks without an incident other times this is happening a couple times a week I honestly don't know if it's my motherboard or video card or what My PC isn't overheating I'm not overclocking and all of my drivers are updated I'm not sure what else I can do besides lose more hair at this point Any advice would be greatly appreciated Many thanks

A:Turn Off Monitor, Turn On Later and Black Screen, PC Still Running

try checking your power options settings and set it to high performance then check in advanced power settings and do not allow hard disks to sleep

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/392571-turn-off-monitor-turn-later-black-screen-pc-still-running.html
Relevancy 52.03%

So Edge detect Monitor Solved: tower (Velocity Z40) does from signal new not Micro I Solved: Monitor does not detect signal from new tower (Velocity Micro Edge Z40) just recently bought a new Edge Z from Velocity Micro I have set it up as directed but my monitor a working Solved: Monitor does not detect signal from new tower (Velocity Micro Edge Z40) HP xi does not Solved: Monitor does not detect signal from new tower (Velocity Micro Edge Z40) detect a signal with tried and tested VGA DVI and HDMI cables I Unboxed it Plugged it into an US-EU adapter I m in Europe Plugged that into a surge protector Turned on the surge protector turned rocker switch on the PSU on Pressed the power button LEDs light up fans spin the HDD vibrates I put my Windows disk in the optical drive and that spins the MemOK LED that signal a compatibility or installation problem with the RAM is NOT lit no problems the green LED next to the SATA Gb s port is lit and everything seems to be working fine Next I try plugging connecting my monitor first with VGA then DVI then HDMI but to no avail I would try displayport but my monitor does not support it The cables were secured at both ends the monitor was on It showed that it was scanning all possible inputs but reported quot no signal quot and went to sleep Since then I tried pushing on all the connections to make sure the power supplies were connected properly the connection from the video ports to the motherboard were firm rearranged my two GB DDR s and tried using a step-down transformer with the V setting on the PSU rather than an adapter with the V setting Also I m not sure if this was initially there but when I turn on the computer after a few seconds I hear a short high-pitched blip and a few seconds later a slightly lower-pitched and longer bleep Specs of the computer are as follows PSU Watt Velocity Micro Power Supply Motherboard Asus P Z -V LK Intel Z based chipset ATX Motherboard Processor Intel Core i - K processor quad GHz cores Hyperclocked to GHz RAM GB DDR - Dual Channel Memory x GB Graphics GB eVGA NVIDIA GTX GDDR video card GeForce GTX series HDD TB rpm SATA w NCQ Thanks in advance for any help you can give P S The computer seems to be behaving normally besides the lack of connection to the monitor since after leaving it on without doing anything to it for a while I think it goes to sleep since it appears to turn off but reboots quickly when I press the power button again nbsp

A:Solved: Monitor does not detect signal from new tower (Velocity Micro Edge Z40)

Hello and welcome to TSG!!

Have you tried using the motherboard's video connections? Or just the graphics card's? Can you remove the card and try the ones on the m/b?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-monitor-does-not-detect-signal-from-new-tower-velocity-micro-edge-z40.1082474/
Relevancy 50.74%

I have a ADI monitor, when Windows XP starts up, there is a thick vertical line across the desktop. when i turn the monitor off and on, it the line disappears. any ideas how to fix it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-line-on-monitor-xp-starts-up-clears-when-turn-monitor-off-on.860723/
Relevancy 50.31%

hi, I am going to upgrade my graphic card to ATI 5770 so I need a new power supply which has power about 550--600 watt. But the most frustrating problem is that I failed to find a proper power supply with the correct dimension.
I have an HP pavilion e9300 which uses a very wired power supply tower-150mm(W) 86(H) 140(D). But so far all the PSUs I found is the standard size --150mm(W) 86(H) 150(D) which cannot fit in my setup.

So could any PC God give me some suggestion, please??
Is any PSU with the size of my tower or can I just simply install a bigger PSU which can still successfully power up the comptuer?

Thx in adance.

A:Power supply bigger than the tower - frustrated by HP PSU tower

If the power supply will physically fit your case, it should work fine with your computer. Will the extra 10mm interfere internally with anything inside the PC?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/power-supply-bigger-than-the-tower-frustrated-by-hp-psu-tower.148841/
Relevancy 49.45%

I need to retrieve some old info from my old tower. Is it possible to hook the old tower to the new one and use it as a big memory bank? And if so, how do I do it?

A:Hooking old tower to new tower to retrieve old programs

This TCP/IP Home Networking and File Sharing Tutorial should get you started.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hooking-old-tower-to-new-tower-to-retrieve-old-programs.613660/
Relevancy 47.73%

Forgot to ask this in my last thread. Is there any difference between a mid-tower ATX case and a full-tower other than height? Thanks.

Relevancy 47.3%

this morning i overhaul my computer..blow the dust etc..then after that i attach them together..and whoala..my computer doesn't turns on..

it will turn on..like 30min.of waiting..then when its turn on..it will hang..then i will restart the pc..using the reset button..but nothings happen..i mean it will reset..but it will not boot..then i will shut off the AVR..then i will turn on the AVR again..then Nothings Happen..means only the monitor is switching on..but the system is dead..

i try to short the power switch of the motherboard..but nothings happen...i try to short the green and black..and grey and green in the power supply unit..its fine..i try to clean again the RAM,the Vcard,but its the same...

please sir..help me..i really2 need your answer here..

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-doesnt-turn-on.154205/
Relevancy 47.3%

Hi there I have had my rig for about years now and I have upgraded the graphics card and power supply about half a year ago But for the past few days I ve encountered a problem that the pc doesn t turn on with the first sometimes on PC turn doesn't try My pc case has a blue light for indicating power supply and a red one for HDD activity When I press the power up button sometimes the red light doesn t turn on and only the fans spin Also the startup screen doesn t appear I ve had a faulty power supply before and it had similar symptoms but this time I assume it most certainly is not the power supply to blame because whenever the computer does start it works flawlessly and doesn t shut down or stutter during gaming on d rendering What could cause this problem Could it be the power button itself PC sometimes doesn't turn on I guess I will open up the computer over the weekend and try to look for a loose wire or smth but maybe someone has encountered a PC sometimes doesn't turn on similar problem and knows where to start nbsp

A:PC sometimes doesn't turn on

Firstly we have no idea what the specs are of the system in question, so can be difficult to make any informed response. Please post some detailed system specs including make and model of the motherboard, CPU, RAM, graphics card, power supply etc. The more info the better.

Based on the symptoms I certainly wouldn't rule out a faulty PSU.

It wouldn't hurt to double check all cables and connectors inside the machine.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/pc-sometimes-doesnt-turn-on.1157436/
Relevancy 47.3%

Have a Gateway Model E4100 Deluxe - my problem (and have had since getting PC) is when I shut down, it may take 2 or 3 tries to get it to reboot. So I've just been leaving my computer on to save the hassle.

Any ideas? All I get is a black screen - no mouse pointer visible and no choice but to shut off and turn back on - repeatedly until I finally get my log on screen!

Help!

Relevancy 47.3%

My laptop doesn't turn on .When I press the power button the fan works and everything is good then the startup goes black and there are only s white dash in the top left side of the screen help please.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Software-and-How-To-Questions/My-hp-350-G1-doesn-t-turn-on/td-p/5697407
Relevancy 47.3%

Can someone please help me?

I did everything that I could..I bought a new motherboard and ups, my powe supply has been checked by 2 proffesionals and still my pc doesn't turn on..

When I bring it to an professional it just turns on like that, but at my home ( I already checked the electricity, it was checked by an professionsal) but still I think tehre is a ghost in my house :suspiciou can someone please help me?????

A:PC doesn't turn on!

Maybe you could try plugging it in a different part of your house preferably in a socket that you know works maybe a socket where your TV is plugged in or a Lamp. The socket you are using maybe damaged in some way.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-doesnt-turn-on.102521/
Relevancy 47.3%

Recently, I have been having trouble turning on my computer. It used to be that, I'd turn it on, then the fans would go up to full speed (all of them), followed by 1 long been, and 2/3 short beeps.

Now, my PC won't even turn on at all. Would the problem be the motherboard? Should I reset the CMOS? How do I do that?

A:My PC doesn't turn on.

sometimes when a pc wont turn on it could be that you have added or changed some hardware which isnt fully compatible and has trouble with starting up. i had a similar problem with my monitor.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-pc-doesnt-turn-on.763252/
Relevancy 47.3%

the inverter is on, the fan is on but winxp doesnt load....
once I kept off for a long time and when I turned on, it did work... but then aftern turning it off it is not working anymore..
In your opinion where shall I start troubleshooting?

thanks a lot cheers!

Relevancy 47.3%

Okay so by default, the HDD turns off after 20 min of inactivity. It's too short and gets annoying having to wait for the HDD to spin up every time I want to search the drive for something.

So I set it to 60 min. But it doesn't turn off after 60 min. I go to sleep and when I wake up and use the HDD, there's no spin up cause it's continuously spinning.

The power option works for 20 min but not for 60 min it seems. Anyone know how to get the power saving option to work?

A:HDD doesn't turn off

Hello Cyborg,

You may have something (ex: program or Windows 7) that is accessing the HDD for something within that 60 mins that causes the timer to reset. You might see if decreasing the turn off time by 5 minutes at a time and testing inbetween to see which time it works at.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/73040-hdd-doesnt-turn-off.html
Relevancy 47.3%

Basically my pc doesn't turn on i was watching a video then put the pc to sleep came back after 15 mins and tried to turn on the pc it doesn't turn on i changed the fuse , used another power supply cable to no avail...

specs 2.66.ghz , 4GB ram , windows 7 , asus mother board , quad processor

This may help that i built my new pc on new years eve and used my old power supply as the one i had bought didn't have enough watts mind i the power supply is 10 years old any help

A:PC doesn't turn on

Are you sure the wall outlet still has power? Did you try to plug a lamp into the outlet to check for power? If your PSU isn't plugged directly into a wall outlet then please make that happens.

Often a computer can break and still remain functional until power is removed. Once the power is gone the broken circuit can/will no longer function. The power button on your computer case could be broken or simply have a lose wire. All the power button does is briefly short the connection. When you push the power button the motherboard will sense the short and turn on. You can check the power button's connection by briefly shorting the two wires that connect the power button to the motherboard at the header.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-doesnt-turn-on.154570/
Relevancy 46.87%

Hello! New lenovo user here!I was using my Y40 yesterday totally fine and I let it doing stuff (copying files from an SD card to my HDD). When I returned, the battery has run out and the laptop was turned off. So I plugged the laptop and I leave it charging, but when I try to use the laptop again, it's dead.The only thing that it does, after I press the Power button, is turn on the battery and power lights (both in white), and after seven seconds, they both turned off and that's it.What can I do? Open the laptop, take out the battery, what? Any help is welcomed!! Chris

A:Lenovo y40 doesn't turn on

update! I used the button right next to the power button and I'm seeing a "Novo Button Menu" setup.. Four options: "Normal Startup"; BIOS setup; Boot Device Menu and System recovery.. What should I do??? Pls helpp!!

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/Lenovo-y40-doesn-t-turn-on/td-p/3304076
Relevancy 46.87%

Hello,
My HP Laptop went off when it was working, and it didn't turn on then. The power button led glows for few seconds when i try to turn on the laptop,but nothing in the screen,no sounds of cpu fan or booting.

Solutions Tried:

I tried removing AC supply,and battery and tried holding the power button for 30 seconds and put everything back in. But this doesn't help me either. I also tried with different RAM stick and slot,which doesn't work.

When i plug the AC adapter in, I noticed that the corresponding indicator in the cpu doesn't glow. Anyway i can't either work with the battery.

Please help me out if you can!

A:HP Laptop doesn't turn on :/

Seems like the video card is defective. You may need to repair it.
Have you tried using a different power adaptor?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hp-laptop-doesnt-turn-on.1160690/
Relevancy 46.87%

My computer just suddenly shut down. There was no shut down screen, it just went black out.

After I reset my power generation. My computer doesn't turn on anymore. Only the monitor is the one can be turned on.

Could you please, tell me why is this happening?

So please, oh please, reply me back, and tell me what to do!

A:My Computer doesn't turn on

Sounds very much as though your power supply is the culprit.

Fault-finding flowchart here: PC Power Supply Failure Diagnostics - Computer ATX Power Supply Troubleshooting and Repair

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/176895-my-computer-doesnt-turn.html
Relevancy 46.87%

Hi Everyone,
I have a dell desktop which had some problems and made a weird sound whenever I turned it on so I decided to open it up and take out the HDD and plug it into a desktop that I built and backup the data and reformat the drive. So then I put the HDD back in and now whenever I try to turn the computer on it doesnt even turn on. Before it wouldn't show me anything but atleast when it was turned on you could hear everything spinning as the power went to all the components. However now the MoBo lights up and thats it, I tried pressing power button multiple times but nothing. All the connections seem to be secure, the pins unbent and the parts snug into their slots so I don't understand what the problem could be. Please help!!!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-doesnt-turn-on.752414/
Relevancy 46.87%

Hi again, I write this because sometimes I tried to turn on my computer but it doesn't start, then I press the button again and the computer begin to running, I want to know Why it happen?

I have a UPS and Windows Me, but I don't understand the problem.

A:My Computer doesn't turn on

I'm wondering ( and this would be really easy to fix ) how old is the case ? Maybe the connection in the back of the power button is screwed up ...
Also could you post the system specs .

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-computer-doesnt-turn-on.190374/
Relevancy 46.87%

I got this problem since last month. My laptop which is 5 years old stopped working all of the sudden last month. When I try to turn it on, the battery, hd and cpu lights turn on for less than 2 seconds and then it shuts off. The screen doesn't even turn on. I'm guessing the motherboard is fried but I'm not sure... Any suggestions?

A:Laptop doesn't turn on

Buy a new one. Sorry to say a 5 year old laptop is almost worthless. Getting the data off it shoudl be no problem if thats your concern.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-doesnt-turn-on.479360/
Relevancy 46.87%

Okay ...Im having a problem with my IE and Au, it pops up byitself and AU doesn't work. I ran all Avast and adware SE and I'm still having the same problem. I did SPy boy and still having the same issue. can anyone someone help me out there??!

Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

A:Ie Pops Up Itself And Au Doesn't Turn On!

Hello what is actually popping up?Temporarily turn off SpyBot while downloading and doing this scanPlease download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.alternate download link 1alternate download link 2Make sure you are connected to the Internet.Double-click on Download_mbam-setup.exe to install the application.When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:Update Malwarebytes' Anti-MalwareLaunch Malwarebytes' Anti-MalwareThen click Finish.MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue. If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.On the Scanner tab:Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.Then click on the Scan button.If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button. The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to restart your computer. (see Note below)The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts. Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/150240/ie-pops-up-itself-and-au-doesnt-turn-on/
Relevancy 46.87%

My power went off last night (computer was off and plugged into a surge protector). Now the computer won't come back on. I turned on and off the powerbar but nothing is happening with the computer. I finally gave up and came to work. Any suggestions I can relay to my husband so he can get it up an running? Thanks.

Relevancy 46.87%

i've got an acer aspire 5735z laptop about two and half years old :runing windows vista,intel pentuim dual-core processor T3400 .It was working fine last night ,wake up this morning trying to turn it on :lights are on for about 10 /15 sec ,the fan as well turn for the same time ,then it turns off on it's own .tried to take the battery out and pluged in :same problem .kept pressing the turn on button for 30 sec(with the battery in and out) same thing happen .take the fan out and cleared thaught it maybe full of dust but it wasn't .i've took the hdd out and put it back as well as the two memories but still with the same problem ,any idea please ? many thanks to any suggestions

A:Laptop doesn't turn on

Sorry tgo learn of your woes... Unfortunately, Acer laptops are like all the rest... if you didn't get one with a long warranty. time to get a new one... But the hard drive "should" be recoverable.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-doesnt-turn-on.177766/
Relevancy 46.87%

Okay, so my desktop computer used to be on all the time and then all of a sudden it went off and it just simply is NOT turning on. Pressing the button to turn it on does absolutely nothing. I've tried leaving it unplugged for a week, and it still didn't work. There is a light on the motherboard so I know that the motherboard does have power but I can't figure out what's wrong. Can someone please help me turn this pc on?

A:Computer doesn't turn on

The problem sounds like the power supply, if not that, then the motherboard. A good way to narrow the problem down, would be to swap a known working power supply, and see if the computer boots up. If it doesn't, there is a problem with the motherboard (considering all wires and cord are connected properly and there are no other power issues such as AC outlet, surge protector, bad PSU power cable etc.)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-doesnt-turn-on.928958/
Relevancy 46.87%

well one day my computer just shut off...i tried everything..the fans on the motherboard spin..i've tried changing everything but the power supply...would it be the problem?

i've hooked up different hd's and put a diff mobo and processor and even memory...

let me know what u think it is

A:My computer doesn't TUrn on..HELP!!

What are the things that you've done before the problem started? Can you elaborate more?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-computer-doesnt-turn-on-help.14478/
Relevancy 46.87%

I have a lumia 535. Before few days ago, it dropped on ground from my hand and turned it off. I tried a lot to turn it on, but I was failed.
Now, could someone please help me?

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/443105-why-my-lumia-535-doesnt-turn.html