Windows Support Forum

Outlook 2013 - Extra Personal Folders

Q: Outlook 2013 - Extra Personal Folders

Hello When I got my new HP Windows laptop several months ago I installed Office I recall at the time importing more than one personal folder into the new Outlook Enough time has passed that I'm ready to get rid if I can of the annoyance having folders I don't use in the folder list on the left Maybe Folders 2013 Extra Personal - Outlook I should be using them but I don't From the top first I have personal folder with subfolders inbox drafts sent Outlook 2013 - Extra Personal Folders etc As far as I know I don't use these folders at all and I have cut and moved most of the messages in them to the second folder list The second list is name email com There I also have subfolders inbox drafts sent deleted as well as Outlook 2013 - Extra Personal Folders the many other subfolders I've created for various needs So can I get rid of the personal folders listed first Should I keep them If so can I hide them somehow Thanks

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Outlook 2013 - Extra Personal Folders

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 31.82%

Recently a hard drive named OS (X: ) (space inserted so it isn't posted as a smiley face) appeared in my computer. It seems to be identical in memory to my actual hard drive, but is actually empty. What exactly should be done about this?

A:Empty extra hard drive?

Not sure off hand but I'd open up Disk Management to see what it says there.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/empty-extra-hard-drive.203533/
Relevancy 30.96%

I have an internet connection that I have extended to my Brother in law's house, next door. At the moment, I basically have two LAN cables coming out of my modem/router, one going to my computer and another, extended cable, going to his computer.
However, he wants to use his spare modem/router, which has wifi capability, to allow his son to use his own computer downstair with only wifi.
Therefore, will there be any conflicts if I simply splice in a Lan cable or add a lan socket for the second modem/router (wifi location.) at the appropriate point along Lan cable 2? See diagram below.
If there is a possibility of conflict what would be an alternate wiring method?

Thanks,
Tom.

A:Adding extra wifi (modem/router) to my already extended network

Good drawing and this will work just fine. In fact, that's what I use to get access at the far end of the house. Here's the trick;

router#1(lan slot) ---- (lan slot) router#2 with wifi​
Notice that #2 WAN slot is left empty! This places all systems on the same subnet of the router#1 {what you are doing is making router#2 act like a switch which has wifi support (y) }

* Give router# a unique LAN address (If #1 is 192.168.1.1, then make #2 192.168.1.1) This will allow each to be manage via a browser connection
* in router#2 disable DHCP. This forces #1 to be the manager of the entire network and it will handout all IP addresses
Personally, I use the MAC addresses of my devices to enable router#1 to use Address Reservation of IP address for all devices attached to #1 (ie I map the devices to the range 1.2-> 1.10)

Then set the DHCP range in #1 to 1.100-1.50
These will be used for all devices attached (wired or wifi) to #2

Optional:
All systems can then use the firewall to allow or deny access for one or both halves of the network. EG: I permit access for 1-10 and 255 while denying 100-254​ALL system must allow the top-end address 255 as that is the broadcast address that is used to hand out the DHCP data.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/adding-extra-wifi-modem-router-to-my-already-extended-network.203204/
Relevancy 31.82%

Ok,I am building a PC and I would like to buy EVGA GTX 650 Superclocked 2GB GDDR5.
I got one 120 mm fan and I can afford myself one more(both 1200 rpm)
Will that cut it?

A:Will Superclocked model of a GPU need any extra fans?

You don't need to if you don't want to.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/will-superclocked-model-of-a-gpu-need-any-extra-fans.201420/
Relevancy 23.22%

I recently built this computer see other a thread on building a PC using Windows on a ssd drive and I used my sata drives for storage audio video The other drives folders using Can't 7 storage create Windows on drives are from my old system and they were set up for RAID I re-formatted the drives but now they automatically create a system info folder and a recycle bin folder I don t know why but Can't create folders on storage drives using Windows 7 I can t create a folder on these drives They are patitioned NTFS Does this have something to do with the RAID configuration from my old system I need to create folders to manage my projects but it will not allow it Also I installed Norton on the system I am using the internet for downloading programs I need once everything is going smooth I will no longer access the web with this PC The Norton has an error on it and when I try to fix it it gets stuck on trying to optimize the storage disk E My SSD is drive C with a partition D for B U the next drive is E Does anyone know what I am doing wrong Thanks to anyone who can speak to this problem nbsp

A:Can't create folders on storage drives using Windows 7

Which RAID Configuration are you in? I think you may have have it set up incorrectly. Depending on what RAID you are using will depend on how your drives can be used. Let us know what RAID you are running which you should be able to find this in your RAID control panel when you boot into it. Thanks.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-create-folders-on-storage-drives-using-windows-7.200888/
Relevancy 32.25%

My last modem dlink wifi modems chipset was damaged due to high voltage...I've bought a new one called dlink DSL 2750u1 which is supposedly the best company offers... Now it's got 4 Ethernet ports , wifi and other usual suspects. But what intrigutes me is the USB 3.0 port, which I know is for connecting with comps without Ethernet cards , but it's also mentioned on the box that it offers to store and access data in hard drives and flash drives over network, connecting
Printers and converting net dongles into wifi.
As of now I really wanna know how to acces data in connected HDDs and pen drives.
Thank you in advance...

A:USB port in modem extra uses?

I think if you set it up right, you can stream the content on you USB or portable harddrive from the USB3 port that you on the modem through wifi

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/usb-port-in-modem-extra-uses.199670/
Relevancy 30.1%

I have been using a pogo plug series on my home network with a USB TB hard drive attached to it for several months and for unknown reasons the pogo plug no longer sees the drive I have connected the drive directly to my PC and it responds normally and a check disk shows no errors at all I have a tech support request in - Personal Home NAS for Use recommendations Your with there tech support which seems to be going no where So I think its time for a change Your recommendations for NAS - Personal Home Use I am asking for your input on a recommended network storage device I can use on my home network that will not only allow me access to files stored on it but will also allow me to save files to it while away from home I use windows based equipment and if at all possible I would like to be able to access and save files from my ipad and iphone like the pogo plug allowed me to do via application When ever I had a question or PC problem the members of this forum have always come through with the right answer or proper solution for me and I Your recommendations for NAS - Personal Home Use hope you Your recommendations for NAS - Personal Home Use all will once again Thank you in advance able actual nbsp

A:Your recommendations for NAS - Personal Home Use

Well my network here is Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit on desktops, laptops, netbooks, tablets all the way except for tablet or netbook for testing running Windows 8 Pro 32-bit and 64-bit. Also Android tablets and smartphone have NSA325 app to access the NAS.

I use NSA325 pictured to your right on top shelf in my network system here in this mini network rack system. Supports USB 3.0 and 2.0 it has 3x USB ports, two drive bays for upto 6TB, also my Web Server (internal web site also called intranet) Color Laser Business Class shown in the picture below doesn't have network features but using NSA325 Print Server via USB port it's now networked.

This device is also my Network Media Center too. Devices like SONY SMP-N100 and SMP-N200 Network Media Players can access the NSA325 for media files, video, pictures and music. I also use as a NAS for File Server too. Everything goes to the NSA325, very fast too with 1.6GHz, 512MB of RAM. ZyXel link: http://www.zyxel.com/products_services/nsa325.shtml?t=p

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/your-recommendations-for-nas-personal-home-use.194118/
Relevancy 29.24%

Been working on next gen of PowerCode ROM Upgrade for Kyros Tablet from COBYUSA, COBY International and Visual Connect/Prestige from Visual Land along with the Skypad Alpha2 and Skypad Gemini from Skytex. Running Android Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean.

Results are as follows in

PowerCode WiFi 54 G+ on 720MHz, 256mb of RAM System
Test 1:

PowerCode WiFi 300 N+ 1GHz, 1GB of RAM System
Test1:

PowerCode WiFi 300 N+ 1GHz, 1GB of RAM System
Test1:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/powercode-1000-2013-rom-upgrades-for-kyros-visual-and-skypad.191514/
Relevancy 23.65%

I inserted my USB in a friend's laptop and I noticed that they all turned into .exe files. I figured it was only because my friend's laptop was very slow and I think it is infected. But when I inserted the USB back to my laptop, the folders remained as .exe. My laptop is probably clean (undergoing a Redirect malware cleaning as of the moment) but I haven't encountered any problems like this before. I can't format my USB because I need the files. Please help.

A:Folders turned to .exe files

I have scanned my USB with MSE and results show it had Trojan:Win32/Startpage.gen!A virus and MSE quarantined them.
I still can't access my folders even if I type it on the address bar. No malicious items show up on MBAM. Please help me.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/folders-turned-to-exe-files.190262/
Relevancy 23.22%

Hi all

Hopefully I'm posting this in the correct place, Mods please move if not, thanks.

So, I have a bit of a problem. I accidentally deleted the wrong folder from our work server yesterday (Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard), but we have a nightly backup to a tape drive so I went onto the backup software (Symantec Backup Exec 2012) to restore the data. However, using the restore wizard it has been "Querying for data" for approximately 12 hours... is this normal?? Is it possible to restore files/folders from a tape backup, or would we have to restore the whole system? Do I just need to wait a long time for the system to find the data?

We have a spare 2Tb NAS drive so I could potentially restore all of the data to this (approximately 600gb), would this be a more viable approach?

Thanks in advance

A:Restoring files/folders from tape backup

Never mind, sorted now

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/restoring-files-folders-from-tape-backup.187491/
Relevancy 30.96%

Im getting ready for the games like Hitman absolution and GTAV and others great games toward 2015

what gpu should I take? gtx 560 ti or hd 6950 1gb or the affordable (very) hd6850??

I have a quad core q8400 and I'll playing at just a resolution of 1366x768.... of course I want to max

out the setting to see the beauty of games today

tnx

A:GTX 560 Ti for 2013-2015

Neither, they're all older generation cards. Since you're not in a rush wait for nvidia to release their GTX 650/660 and either go for one of those or a 7850. They'll easily max games at your resolution.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/gtx-560-ti-for-2013-2015.185194/
Relevancy 31.39%

I have a windows vista laptop and had a external tv connected to it and it worked.
I now have a new tv and cant get an output to it.
connected via a vdu cable as it was before.
and can get an output if I start the laptop in safe mode so I know the connection is ok.
any ideas?
Barry

A:Problem with extra monitor for Vista laptop

Did you get this working?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-with-extra-monitor-for-vista-laptop.183152/
Relevancy 23.65%

Hey guys, I'm new here
I'm having a problem. My hard drive has like 6 folders. Each one containing different stuff like Word documents for school and such and movies and music. Non of the folders are opening except for the music folder. When I click on the folder for movies it says---> "Windows cannot find 'F:RECYCLER\e621ca05.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again."
-_______________- Seriously? What name? I didn't type anything.
My hard drive's name is "My Passport (F)". This is so frustrating!!! Please help.
Thanks a million <3
Buttercupsx
xXx

P.S: Those random questions at the end are annoying. I failed a bunch of em. Hehehe don't judge.

A:Hard drive won't open folders help!

Sounds like the folder you are trying to open is referencing a path that does not exist. Try the drive in another computer, try the drive in a different Operating system - see if the issue is still there. The drive might be failing or the data on it is corrupt. try downloading the WD diag utility for windows & test the drive. http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=218&sid=171&lang=en Post back!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-wont-open-folders-help.179647/
Relevancy 32.25%

I need to add an additional USB header for my Gigabyte motherboard, the 2 headers on the motherboard are dedicated to running the 4 USB ports on the front panel.However I am adding an additional device to the front panel that also requires a USB header, so an obvious solution would be a splitter of some kind that would allow one of the headers to pull double duty for the front panel USB ports as well as facilitating the new device. Anyone ever hear of a Y splitter or some other solution that can make this work?,I could always just unplug one of the headers and go with just 2 USB ports on the front but I would rather not make any compromises.

A:Need an extra motherboard USB header

Try this. I've purchased one and found they work really well.

NZXT IU01 USB 2.0 Internal Expansion Hub

NZXT IU01 USB 2.0 Internal Expansion Hub Review

Stores:

store.nzxt
tigerdirect
directron
amazon

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-an-extra-motherboard-usb-header.179932/
Relevancy 18.06%

Im trying to set up an email in outlook 2007 with ms exchange 2003. Under the exchange proxy settings, i set the connection settings to RPC.domain, and check the box that says "Only connect to proxy servers that have this principal in their certificate: I use the "msstd:rpc.domain

A:MS Outlook connection with Exchange 2003

Sorrry, I accidently posted before i was finished. but I get an error message saying "the connection to ms exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or conncected to complete this action. Can anyone help me with this. Much appreciated.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ms-outlook-connection-with-exchange-2003.176076/
Relevancy 32.25%

Hello!

I have just built my new PC in the Cooler Master 690 II Advanced, I have one extra fan (which came with my old Cooler Master case) that I would like to use. I was going to use it as an intake as that would create a more positive pressure which should yield lower temps. I was wandering where to put it, should I put it at the bottom? Or on the lower fan slot on the sidepanel? Also, Im sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Thanks in advance!

-nubki11a

A:Where to position extra fan in CM 690 II Advanced?

I always thought having negative pressure (more exhausts than intakes) was better for temperatures because it creates a kind of vacuum, and positive pressure means the hot air will just stay inside the case.

Anyway there are many theories around placement of fans and it's different for different cases so I guess your best bet would just be to experiment.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/where-to-position-extra-fan-in-cm-690-ii-advanced.174857/
Relevancy 23.22%

Not sure if this belongs here or on the networking board. Anyway...
We have a network of about 20 pcs. I recently installed four new machines that run Windows 7 with Office 2010. The server is running Server 2003. Three of the machines worked perfectly from the beginning, accessing the server and sharing folders and files. One machine will only open files in "read only" mode. I have shared all the folders and given every permission there is but it will only open the files in "read only". It is a critical accounting machine that has to share and change files. What am I missing?

A:Sharing folders and files in Office 2010

hmm; your wording is imprecise so need to make sure what you mean,

Office 2010 can not be shared other than the Calendar events and that's not done
via "sharing".

You don't state the application that is sharing the common file on the server,
but I assume some accounting system installed on multiple client systems are attempting
concurrent access to the same accounting data.

You don't say if this has ever worked before with this setup or if this is the initial install for the Sharing of the accounting data.

First action is to access that file by only one system at a time (ie: disconnect the mapped Drive letter) and get that working.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sharing-folders-and-files-in-office-2010.174216/
Relevancy 22.79%

Hello I have external Samsung G USB station I had two different folders show drive and doesn't External files partitions one primary just for files and one logical for files also All the time I use WinXP Linux and Vista on different computers mostly Everything was fine But when I bought a brand new DVD with Win and installed on my brand new laptop the strange things became Now I ll try to define my problem as much as possible clearly and accurately My laptop with Win shows that logical drive but when I go in there I can t see my folders and files they are not hidden of course In properties I can see that these files ARE there I suppose that by the External drive doesn't show files and folders free and used space of that partition and I really know how GBs was there so in properties seems that anything is not lost When I connect External drive doesn't show files and folders drive to a different computer with let s say Vista it doesn t show these files also Same with XP But I can reach my files on Linux Another strange thing is that all the information in the other partition primary drive is accessible without any probs Now I copied all these files into Linux and used to format that partition NTFS and made it primary also I did it on Win So I have two primary drives now Then I brought all the information from Linux back into that drive under my investigation Everything was fine and I was so glad till I restarted mtfk Computer When I use Norton Partition Manager for browsing that drive I can see these folders and files One more thing I observed on Vista these folders icons seem like shortcuts now What is very strange really I can reach them in fact But I can t on XP or Win now Then I ve experimented a bit I copied two small files on that drive intentionally Surprisingly I can see these freshly loaded files both on Vista and XP On Win also But can t see these previously loaded files So WTF May anyone be able to help to resolve this confusing problem nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-drive-doesnt-show-files-and-folders.174247/
Relevancy 32.25%

Can I install an 80mm or 120mm fan in the sugo sgo7 case? I want to put an extra fan on the side of a sugo mini itx case.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/extra-fan-in-sugo-sgo7.171881/
Relevancy 23.65%

Morning,

I recently purchased a Buffalo ministation to save my folders to as a back up. I've copied some folders no problem (one up to 5.38gb) but now it is telling me (on a folder smaller than 4gb) that it cannot be copied. I formatted the hdd to NTFS as soon as I got it, so it isn't that.

Any help,

thanks

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/buffalo-ministation-will-not-let-me-copy-some-folders.171558/
Relevancy 30.1%

Hey all I am brand new to this forum and dealing with the internals of computers Please bear with me I have a from HD files personal an Recovering IDE old really old eMachines - that just recently took a dump It would no longer power on at all So I went to the store and got a Recovering personal files from an old IDE HD power supply and for the Recovering personal files from an old IDE HD first time Recovering personal files from an old IDE HD ever took the side panel off of the tower After switching the bad power supply for the good one the CPU powered right up However I had no video output which led me to belive that my video card is bad My next step was to return the power supply and get an IDE hard drive enclosure that I picked up at a locally owned computer shop I hooked up the enclosure to my laptop and let kaspersky go to work on all the viruses and what not I knew had to be on there from that way that thing had started acting over the years Once completed I went to retreive the information twelve years worth of music photos ect that I cared about upon opening Music the folder was empty pictures was that same case So then I found Jims Share Drive IIRC that had a large file size I guess that s where all my stuff is but when I try to open the file I get told that I don t have the privledges I never put a password up or anything Is there any way to bypass this so I can access my stuff Any assistance is greatly appreciated Also I hope I didn t ramble too much nbsp

A:Recovering personal files from an old IDE HD

Make sure you have administrator rights. I will assume you are on at least Win XP.. Right click on the folder in question, go to properties, security. Check the setting there. Add yourself to the list.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/recovering-personal-files-from-an-old-ide-hd.169352/
Relevancy 32.25%

Hey guys I recently got an idea of adding a new Adding extra fans one or two fan to the side of my case for extra cooling as I Adding extra one or two fans might as Adding extra one or two fans well take the advantage of wasted space Now my question is shall I make it exhaust or intake I already got a intake fan at the front of my case and obviously exhaust at the back but no idea what I should do with the side Infact shall I add extra one to the side Would it fit nicely without disturbing the overall airflow in the case Here are pictures of my case side front and the side panel door Yes the cable management is TERRIBLE My Plan Good ol power tools I will be drilling holes in the side of my case so that the fan can fit I know its really odd way to do it i guess but sounds like fun and I might as well try it nothing to loose apart from some holes on the side hehe Or could just get bunch of fan filters grills xD Here is what it could look like http imageshack us m casemodplan jpg Side Panel Door http img imageshack us img imgp jpg http imageshack us m imgp o jpg Side http imageshack us m imgp k jpg http imageshack us m imgp r jpg http imageshack us m imgp u jpg Front http imageshack us m imgp i jpg Slideshow Here are my specs fyi MOBO M N SE CASE Antec something P its around years old CPU AMD II X BE Ghz OC Ghz stock GPU GTX GB PSU OCZ Stealth Xstream II W Front Intake Fan mm Blue LED Fan Exhaust Fan Thermaltake TT- mm afaik Temperatures http imageshack us m tempsi jpg Also what fan shall I buy Don t really care about noise but more of performance ratio Was thinking of either mm Blue LED fan or another mm Blue LED that I already have for intake at the front Not sure if the Thermaltake TT- is more powerful then the mm BLUE LED really wanna find a good fan blue glow that is around - range Any Ideas wave PS My cable management is absolutely terrible but did best I can lol was my st time building a PC so yeh kinda sucked Need to do some cleaning alot of dust just sitting there No idea what my case brand is looks like old Antec P got it from my uncle heh Yes front panel is missing hehe More air lol Thanks in advance all help much appreciated nbsp

A:Adding extra one or two fans

I would make the fan on the side an intake. That way it will push cool outside air over your video card and motherboard, as opposed to pulling air away from them.

As for what fan, I have never used LED fans, but if you decide not to go for LED's Scythe Slipstreams and Noctua fans are great regarding noise/performance ratio.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/adding-extra-one-or-two-fans.165430/
Relevancy 23.22%

Hello, when i plugged in my memory stick this morning to finish off the last of my college work and to back it u to my computer i was greeted with all of my folders and files names being changed and unable to open any of them, is there a solution to fix all this as there is my years worth of college work on here. Also when I try to scan and fix my memory stick and attempt to recover bad sectors it stops and says "Windows cant check the disc while its in use" and asks if i want to force dismount.
I have no idea how to resolve this and would appreciate any help at all as my assignments have to be in for Tuesday. Thank you.

A:Need help with memory stick thats changed all my folders and files

Welcome to Techspot.

Have you tried this?

http://serverfault.com/questions/11...t-unmount-a-physical-hard-drive-in-windows-xp

You can find more informations from here too: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/chkdsk.mspx
More info too: http://www.computerhope.com/chkdskh.htm

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-with-memory-stick-thats-changed-all-my-folders-and-files.164559/
Relevancy 24.08%

My usb drive goes into read only mode when there is 256 folders in it.

Can I get around this?

Are all usb drives like this or does mine suck?

A:Usb drive only 256 folders?

size (the capacity) matters: USB thumbdrives are formatted FAT32 and have restrictions or limits based upon that architecture. While the 256 directory count is bizarre, if the capacity is small, then both the file count and directory count will be low.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/usb-drive-only-256-folders.161436/
Relevancy 32.25%

GIGABYTE MOBO question? + P4 3.OGHZ

Hi i just started up my comp for 1st time in a good while!
itsa gigabyte mobo,Ati graphics car,WD hardrive 40gb and HP 40gb hardrive,Philips DVD/RW CD DRIVE + old hp cd drive,not pluged in at the mo,would that cause any problems??

I bought a 512mb samsung to go with my other 512mb PQI ram to speed up windows 7.all i have is 2 slots on my mobo,i think the new ram is working!its runing a little bit quicker than usual,does any1 know how i check this?i have tried to get into BIOS,but when i press DEL at startup the screen just goes blank on me!

ALL help Apreciated lads,dieng to find out how to check my new part out

A:How do I check if extra RAM is working?

download this here utility and see if its being recognized under the 'memory' tab.
http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/cpu-z/1.56-setup-en.exe

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-i-check-if-extra-ram-is-working.160324/
Relevancy 32.68%

so im thinking either a AMD Phenom II X2 560 or a AMD Phenom II X3 715

AMD Phenom II X2 560
-$100
-3.3 GHz
-L2 cache 2 x 512 kb
-hyper transports 4000MHz
-manufacturing tech 45 nm
-2 Cores Callisto
560 has L1,L2,L3 caches

AMD Phenom II X3 715
-$80
-2.8 GHz
-L2 cache 3 x 512
- 4000MHz
-45 nm
-3 cores Heka
715 is L2,L3 caches

I can give more info if needed

A:1 extra core or a little bit more ghz

for a little more you can get an x6. I did and it was a smart move.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/1-extra-core-or-a-little-bit-more-ghz.156962/
Relevancy 31.82%

Alright, so my dad's Dell D620 just died and he needs a new laptop. I had an idea to make the old laptop into a second monitor that can be easily carried around and can be used with his laptop when he's at work.

According to Dell, the laptop's mobo is dead, and we aren't spend $700 on a refurbed mobo when we can buy a brand spanking new laptop at that price.

So my question is, does anyone know how to convert this old laptop into a standalone monitor?

A:How to make old laptop into extra monitor

See this article:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/183052/turn_a_spare_laptop_into_a_second_monitor.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-make-old-laptop-into-extra-monitor.155129/
Relevancy 23.65%

I have files and folders I want to put on a USB key to give to someone.
I want to make sure that these files and folders cannot be deleted (the files themselves are secured from editing etc...).
Basically I guess I want the USB to work a bit like a read only disc.
Is there a setting when I transfer files to key or a software.
I do not want to have a password to view/open the files, just to prevent deletion.
Thanks
Cass

A:Can I secure files/folders on a USB key

Than can be done with NTFS permissions - - I did that to mine.

On your home PC, attach the device and make sure you have access to it.

Then you need a setup like this
your PC, using any LUA/UAC account TAKE OWNERSHIP and set Full control
that should leav only that LUA/UAC account with permissions (ie even Administrator and Administrators groups do not show up.)
Now add the EVERYONE id and set Read/Exec/Traverse​The results will be
any pc to which it is attached will have access to the files (including the ability to COPY or Execute),
but only your home PC-that specific LUA/UAC user will be able to modify the contents.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-i-secure-files-folders-on-a-usb-key.154686/
Relevancy 23.65%

Hi there I recently moved some folders which are on an external hard drive into a new folder on that drive called quot August re-sort quot A few visible, no Folders corruption longer possible days later windows was running a backup and the USB cable Folders no longer visible, possible corruption to the drive came disconnected Most likely as a result of the above incident the new folder is no longer visible I ran CHKDSK with the F command and it found an index entry for that folder or that it was unindexed but looks as if it had deleted the entry and the folder is still not appearing after the chkdsk ran Interesting chkdsk text relating to the process is as follows quot Deleting Folders no longer visible, possible corruption index entry August Re-sort in index I of file CHKDSK is scanning unindexed files for reconnect to their original directory CHKDSK is recovering remaining unindexed files Unindexed files recovered If you have any advice on how I can recover this folder and the data within it it would be greatly appreciated Thanks in anticipation nbsp

A:Folders no longer visible, possible corruption

You can try a data recovery application, it may be able to recover the data. I use GetDataBack but there are others.

If you're using the external drive for a backup, where's the original data?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/folders-no-longer-visible-possible-corruption.152617/
Relevancy 31.39%

how would I go about doing this? I would like an extra one or even two if possible. has anyone done this?

A:Mounting extra front panel fans to a CM Scout?

If you think the thing is overheating, check that there is enough air getting in as well as being drawn out. If you have all the fans extracting air there may not be enough natural inflow to work and the fans will cavitate (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavitation - it happens in air as well as other mediums/media) - and the same rule applies if all the fans are blowing inwards.
Clean any filters and dust off the fans - a clean paintbrush is an excellent tool.
If you want extra fans because of ambient temperature, be careful what you buy as they can be very noisy.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/mounting-extra-front-panel-fans-to-a-cm-scout.151394/
Relevancy 22.79%

i recently got a wireless router(linksys) for my home, it worked fine with compaq laptop (new hence built in wifi) and my desktop. however i had to get TP link wifi device for my ancient sony laptop, i installed the drivers and everything it even shows that its connected to the wireless network. However the network kept disconnecting, so i played around with the settings a little and the internet started working(really slow), however the shared folders were still unaccessible from the sony laptop. Again tweaked the settings and now both internet/sharing does not work. Can any one point in the right direction wether these 2 devices are compatible or the correct settings.

Sony laptop has Windows XP, SP-1
Networking worked fine when i use wired one.

A:Wi-Fi Device connecting with network but Internet/shared folders not accessable

sounds like you're attempting to access files/folders on another system.

First get Internet access running correctly for both systems.

Then set the Workgroup name identically on both systems (see via My Computer)

get to this point and the remainder is in the Print/File Sharing setup ...

follow-up when you have Internet access.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wi-fi-device-connecting-with-network-but-internet-shared-folders-not-accessable.150398/
Relevancy 31.82%

Hi, I recent came across another monitor, and I'm trying to use it as a dual display monitor (the kind where you can drag things across both monitors, etc). My graphics card is a Nvidia GeForce GT 240 and it has a VGA port and DVI port. I bought a DVI to AGP plug (DVI male, AGP female) since the other monitor has a AGP male plug. However, when I plug it in it isn't detected, nor is it detected when I plug it into the motherboard AGP port. Both monitors work when I use them with the AGP port on my graphics card. Also, in device manager, if they are both plugged in, they both show up.

Any suggestions?

A:Extra Monitor not being detected, may have something to do with AGP/DVI plug

I think you mean D-Sub, not AGP. AGP is a type of graphics card slot on the motherboard. On the chance that the adapter is bad, try another brand. They are relatively inexpensive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/extra-monitor-not-being-detected-may-have-something-to-do-with-agp-dvi-plug.146768/
Relevancy 27.52%

Hello I m in the process of searching for a new PC notebook I m in the market for a to inch display and I ve come across a couple laptops that mention having an quot extra-wide quot display or a quot -degree ultra-wide viewing angle quot and things to that effect I wanted to ask some questions about this Does this extra-wide display entail a better picture or resolution or something like that or is it just wider Will an extra-wide display like this make widescreen bars the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen when watching a movie more likely Will the wider display cause these bars to be bigger or appear more often on movies or games or anything else where they wouldn t have on a regular width display My computer will have a - inch display it will be p and will be Need notebook help "extra-wide" displays with PC Blu-ray enabled I m very concerned with getting the best picture possible so I d like to know if the extra-wide display will contribute to that but I m also heavily Need help with "extra-wide" PC notebook displays annoyed by widescreen bars at the top and bottom of my movies and whatnot so if the primary effect of the extra-wide display is simply a wider screen that will have more bars more often then I d like to know that Any help here is greatly appreciated Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Need help with "extra-wide" PC notebook displays

It really depends as much on the graphics card as the screen itself, and there is no reliable way to know. You have to see it setup and play with the display settings.
However, If you select a true high end laptop should be fine. Others will make the images look stretched, but user quickly get used to it. One would think that 1080p would be a guarantee of good screen performance, but it is not.
If you are getting a computer that is in the upper third of its price and model range, you usually get the good screen combination in my experience... HP, Dell, Sony, and Lenovo anyway. You will have to avoid budget laptops.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-with-extra-wide-pc-notebook-displays.137531/
Relevancy 18.06%

I am new to Exchange Server 2003 and I have a friend with a network server that I don't know how to re-establish a user to the network. I moved one of his non used computers to this station and now when I try to log in the user I get the error that the name can't be verified because Outlook is not connected or online. This computer used to be online with a different user. Can anyone tell me the steps to check this? Thanks.

A:Outlook not connected in Microsoft Exchange Server

You would benefit from the server handbook or an outlook manual... too much to explain here in usable terms, methinks.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/outlook-not-connected-in-microsoft-exchange-server.137647/
Relevancy 31.39%

Hey everyone,
I have a keyboard (Razer Tarantula) that plugs in via USB. The primary problem I have is that during boot up, my computer does not recognize the keyboard. I believe this is because it plugs in via USB (correct me if I'm wrong). If this is the case, in order for my computer to recognize it, I think I would need to buy an adapter so that I can plug it into the traditional keyboard socket (I forget what it's called).

If I buy/use an adapter, will that have any effect on the functionality of the extra/programmable keys.

Thanks for any insight!

A:Question about USB keyboards with multiple extra key functions

Do you mean your computer doesn't recognize USB until the Windows is running?

If that's the case, then you need to check your BIOS settings. There should be an option to enable USB Legacy Support. This tells your BIOS to support USB until Windows starts.

Now you have the chicken/egg situation as you need to get to the BIOS to change the setting! So either buy an adapter (still useful to have for a couple bucks) or borrow a non-USB keyboard so you can change the setting

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/question-about-usb-keyboards-with-multiple-extra-key-functions.136624/
Relevancy 32.25%

Hey.
I have a new board that has 6 slots (4 ddr2) (2 ddr3) i've got 2 x 1gb in 2 of the slots. when i put another 2 x 1gb in the other 2 slots it wont boot.
PC switches on for about to secs then switches off.

I've also a 512mb graphics card, 3 hdds, and 2 drives. PSU 400watt.

Would it be that the psu is not powerful enough?
I've heard XP has a limit of 4gb but it wont work with 3gb either. All Ram is of the same make and speed. (1GB Corsair Dominator DDR2)

If anybody can help I'd appreciate it.
Thanks

A:PC wont POST with extra RAM

It would be helpful if you could provide us with your exact system specs including manufacturer name and product details.

Also try using the RAM in pairs and check if the new pair you just put work by themselves.

Your PSU might be a little weak depending on your system.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-wont-post-with-extra-ram.135157/
Relevancy 17.63%

A user has been using her laptop for several years and uses Outlook for her POP3 email.
When we installed a server and joined her laptop to the domain she was unable to see her email without logging out of the server and logging back into her local account.
How do I let her domain profile be the same as her local profile?

A:User loses access to outlook email after being joined to domain

You can't, it's considered as a different user. Just take the settings from Outlook and import them into the other account name.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/user-loses-access-to-outlook-email-after-being-joined-to-domain.134427/
Relevancy 31.39%

My parents have a dell dimension 2400 and its horribly slow but my mom refuses to get a new computer. So would adding extra ram help out a bit? If so how much would be needed? Take in mind they mostly just surf the internet.

Specs:
cpu: intel celeron northwood- 128
motherboard: intel og1548
memory: 256mb of ddr 333mhz pc 2700
graphics:intel 82845g/gl/gv

It looks like it takes 184 pin memory.

A:Would extra RAM speed up my parents Dimension 2400?

Um, Well Yeah.......

Well yes, 256MB is barely enough to launch Windows XP. 1GB is a good amount to shoot for. Most BIOSes are set to take at least that amount, sort of the "minumum maximum" for a desktop, so that should be plug and play.

The memory you describe IS DDR 184 pin. PC3200. 400Mhz should work in that machine, it won't run @400Mhz but I think it's becoming a bit easier to find.

Firefox in my machine (ATM) is using about 250MB of RAM by itself, although I do have 40 tabs open. I've seen it hit 700+ MB! Perhaps I may surf a bit harder than your parents do.

Link to this page for a bit more specs on your board; https://www.usereasy.com/product_10576.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/would-extra-ram-speed-up-my-parents-dimension-2400.126186/
Relevancy 18.06%

My smartphone used to sync with the office Exchange Server, but I now want to sync my Outlook contacts with my home PC using standalone Outlook 2003. My PC runs XP SP2 and ActiveSync 4.5. Smartphone is Windows Mobile 6 Standard.

It looks as if I cannot sync Exchage Server contacts to standalone Outlook - if I try to switch to synching with Outlook it tells me the contacts on my phone will be deleted. Is there a safe way of diong this? I would rather retype all my contacts from the phone screen than risk losing them - I can no longer access my former office's Exchange Server.

Thanks for any help - Firepig

A:ActiveSync, Outlook and Exchange Server

Try updating XP to SP3 and check for other Microsoft Updates too, while you are at it

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/activesync-outlook-and-exchange-server.124634/
Relevancy 23.65%

Hi all Weird problem that s driving me insane - If I put an external USB drive I ve tried a gb quot gb brand new USB key gb friend s USB key to Able folders USB drives not but files create on into my Dell D XP laptop I am unable to do any update activity on files So the following doesn t work right click select New - gt Able to create folders but not files on USB drives Text Document renaming a file touch a file using Cygwin copying a file from the internal drive to the USB drive If I try I get Unable to create file blahblah Access is denied Copying a file to the USB key gives me quot Cannot copy blah blah Access is Denied Make sure the disk is not full or write protected quot and that the file is not currently in use I ve tried all sorts of files and I get the same error But these will work leading me to believe it s not a write-protect problem Right click select New - gt Folder rename folders even if they contain Able to create folders but not files on USB drives files mkdir a folder from Cygwin All the things in the list about the doesn t-work list on another Windows laptop Can anyone think of where I can start looking to see where the problem is coming from Thanks in advance Michael nbsp

A:Able to create folders but not files on USB drives

What are your computers specs and Operating System?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/able-to-create-folders-but-not-files-on-usb-drives.124138/
Relevancy 17.63%

When composing an e-mail in Outlook 2007 (Vista), the typing never wraps round to the next line; it types as one continuous line from left to right. What do you do to change this back to multi-line?

Thanks for you help.

Compused

A:Outlook 2007 (Vista) email page layout

Which format are you using to compose the message? (HTML, Rich Text, or Plain Text?)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/outlook-2007-vista-email-page-layout.122456/
Relevancy 32.25%

My situation bought a GB SATA WD WD AAKS to install on my home built machine Mochspeed PT AS with a gig of ram and Windows XP Pro I also have EIDE HDDs as storage HDD SATA extra one of which crashed and lost its FAT that I want to pull all the data off of and I have EIDE disk drives I physically installed the drive no jumpers just power and data cable to the built in SATA port on the mobo SATA HDD as extra storage My mobo bios options are set to look for SATA before SATA HDD as extra storage SCSI but my bios doesn t recognize the drive no matter what driver I try from my Mobo or any other manufacturer I still SATA HDD as extra storage get the yellow in the device manager By pure dumb luck I did get the drive to work one time enough to use WD s lifeguard program to recognize the drive partition and format it After that my drives don t show up in my computer still the yellow in device manager still not recognized by the bios and running out of drivers to try Suggestions nbsp

A:SATA HDD as extra storage

Right-click on My Computer, select Manage, Disk Management. Find your SATA drive in the list, right-click and select FORMAT

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sata-hdd-as-extra-storage.88052/
Relevancy 18.06%

I hope I'm putting this in the right place and I know it's probably I really simplistic question, but here it is:

I have Comcast Cable internet via modem that connects to my DLink 4500 gaming router. I have a PC(wired) , Laptop (wireless), another PC(wired), and XBox360(wireless) all connected to the Cable internet and home network.

I was thinking about changing my Comcast mail to Outlook express -- is this a good Idea? Can it be done? If so how do I do it? If I do it will all my mail accounts go through Outlook or can I just do mine and not my son's and husband's? Sorry again if this is not the place, but I figured you're used to newbies not knowing where to post. Thanks

A:Comcast Mail to Outlook Express

Your Comcast email is known as a Webmail solution, while Outlook, Outlook Express
are Pop3 Email Clients.

All you need is to configure your Email Client to access the Postoffice @ Comcast;
you will actually still be able to use BOTH

The Comcast settings are here

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/comcast-mail-to-outlook-express.118139/
Relevancy 23.65%

Hi;

I use my network card to connect directly to another computer for backup, and then I change the network cable and connect to internet with the same network card. Does this make my shared folders (with read/write permissions) more vulnerable to attacks?

I use Win XP sp3

A:Shared folders and security

i take it you don't have a router then or you'd be connecting both computers to that?
How is your backup performed? If its just drag and drop copying then you don't need to open sharing on the folders you are copying if its performed on the 'master' pc.

Ultimately its down to this.....Do you have a firewall running?
That's the security you need to invoke in the first instance.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/shared-folders-and-security.117301/
Relevancy 31.82%

I really want to buy the best deal possible for an extra hard drive for my computer. My MB is an Asus A7V8X-X and right now, I have an 80 gig ultra-ATA Maxtor hard drive. There are several great deals on SATA drives, but I don't think my MB supports SATA--but could I add a PCI card with SATA connections and have it work that way? Or use some kind of adapter? What is my best option?

A:How to choose an extra hard drive for my MB

A second IDE is the easiest thing to do with that board. Your Maxtor is probably DMA6, so it is plenty fast.

But, yes, a card to add SATA (and more IDE drives) can be added easily and allow you to use SATA. I have an extra 500 GB SATA on an A7V8X just because the price was irresistable.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-choose-an-extra-hard-drive-for-my-mb.116528/
Relevancy 18.06%

Every time I compose a new message in Outlook Express and use MIDI music as a background the SW SYNTH in audio gets knocked back to zero. This only happens in OLEXP, toherwise MIDI's play OK.
Running Windows XP Pro SP3 OLEXP 6.0

A:Outlook express affects audio control

What is your computer? Make and model?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/outlook-express-affects-audio-control.114792/
Relevancy 29.67%

Quick question,

Is there a reliable way to setup a secure dedicated webmail server at my home using a dedicated computer and a DHCP cable line (15m-D,2m-U)? If so, what is the difficulty level of this on a 1-5 scale (5 - able to write your own drivers, 1 - can hook up a computer)?

Also, where is a good place to read about how large scale network infrastructure and management works? I'd really like to learn about how server grade routers, firewalls and the like work. The most I know is to connect to xx.xx.xx.xx (ip) to configure my linksys router. I appreciate all your direction and thought (and time).

Guitto

A:DHCP + Personal WebMail Server

Are you looking to become an emal service provider? Have you looked into using a service provider like godaddy or something like that. They have email hosting packages that are very reasonably priced.

Ihave not set up a webmail server but there will be a few software packages you will need to install and configure. What do you consider your level of expertise?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dhcp-personal-webmail-server.114434/
Relevancy 23.65%

i delete documents it comes back, so i thought okay, ill just keep it all in there.. but every time i go in there the folders pictures, music, and videos are there, i delete them, its all good, i plug it in again, and the folders are back

is there a way from keeping my USB device from automatically creating these folders?

thank you in advance

A:USB drive auto creating folders

Windows itself keeps these folders in My Documents
You aren't talking about those required folders are you?

If you are talking about on your flash reader device, you may just need to format it.
Here's a good tool I've used to do that (this will only format Flash Drives, ie remove all data, so backup your flash drive first)

HP USB Disk Storage Format Utility
Http://downloads.pcworld.com/pub/new/utilities/peripherals/SP27608.exe

Will format any USB flash drive
It can be known to recover Flash drives that are un-responsive too.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/usb-drive-auto-creating-folders.114375/
Relevancy 18.06%

Help! How can I share Outlook 2007 Calendar on 3 networked computers running vista home premium? Don't wanna spend 700 bucks for Exchange Server. Can it be done?

A:Share Outlook Calendar

For workgroup users (ie those without a domain controller), it is done by sharing
each appointment;

create or open an appointment
click the Attendee Availability tab
at the lower left, click Invite Others
enter the name of the Contact and click find
when selected, click Required or Optional
repeat for all attendees
when done, click OK
as each Contact receives the appointment by email, they accept or decline the schedule
their calendar and yours are updated
and the status of all can be seen using the radio button Show Attendee Status

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/share-outlook-calendar.112199/
Relevancy 31.82%

The title pretty much sums it up. By every means that I know of my computer doesnt know that I added extra ram. I'm sure that it's the right type, and I didn't have any problems when booting up. So... now what?
Thanks

A:I just installed an extra gig of ram but don't think my comp registered it

few more details... what mobo do u have?

did u go from 1X1gig to 1X2gig?
did u go from 2X512 to 2X1gig?

give us a touch more info!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-just-installed-an-extra-gig-of-ram-but-dont-think-my-comp-registered-it.112021/
Relevancy 18.06%

Lots of valuable information in that file I'd like to access. I was able to create a new Outlook file in safe mode so I guess the program is OK.

It was suggested to me recently the cause may have been due to me having Microsoft Service Pack 1 at the time. I had not updated to Service Pak 2 (which I now believe has been updated to Service Pak 3). Has anyone had experience with this and, if so, do you think there's a chance that if I update my Service Pak that I might still have a chance of recovering the data I had in my original Outlook file?

A:Still unable to open Microsoft Outlook

I dont think just upgrading to service pack 3 would do any good.

May be you need some more luck there.

Hope you get the help you need

Regards

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/still-unable-to-open-microsoft-outlook.110662/
Relevancy 24.08%

Hey I have setup a vpn from sbs2003 using dyndns and I have open the port needed and have enabled gre protocol "pptp". I am able to connect to the vpn but I do not see any of the folders nor the server.

Setup:
Modem>Cisco router >SBS2003>Clients

how do I mount to the server thanks

A:VPN not showing folders

hey for anyone who is having this problem what you need to do is make sure that the router the server is does not have the same ip range as from where you are trying to connect

EX:
the EX below will not work look at the bold part
server 192.168.1.112
Vpn client 192.168.1.5

The EX below will work look at the bold part
server 192.168.1.112
VPN client 192.168.0.5

Hope this helps some one that needs it. Oh yah then to mount to the server use \\ IP of server

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/vpn-not-showing-folders.109984/
Relevancy 29.24%

So I m thinking of building a personal file- server I have some ideas about what I should get but seeing as I currently don t have money for building it it s still in planning stage I m thinking of building a RAID server which runs on Linux which distro I do not yet know Taking suggestions for personal server hardware but I m considering later Ubuntu versions While I say personal I will still allow my family and closest friends access to it maybe over LAN only for security reasons if this is possible Seeing as I have many many large files there is also a great need for disk space Therefore I am thinking of buying five hard disks one terabyte each for RAID where one will be lost for parity and one small ish hard disk for the O S to run from I also am thinking of running software RAID so I am not going to use money on external RAID controller unless absolutely necessary Requirements for hardware are Chassis Must be able to house six hard drives and at least one CD DVD rom drive Taking suggestions for personal server hardware Does not need floppy Must be able to install sufficient cooling May or may not include PSU Motherboard Integrated sound graphics network card RAID support DDR MHz or higher RAM support At least six SATA connectors Also at least one IDE connector for CD DVD rom drive CPU Probably dual-core with decent frequency Not sure what to say here Obviously must be supported by mobo Memory Two or four gigabytes of or higher MHz DDR RAM Hard drives Five hard drives with at least TB each Used in RAID One cheap hard drive with preferably RPM for O S All of these must be SATA SATAII drives No Samsung drives had enough troubles with them in the past EDIT May start with less drives in RAID if I understood the quot mdadm quot command correctly as in that you can add additional drives semi- easily later on CD DVD drive IDE drive No other requirements Used mainly for installing the O S not much else All of this should not cost more than little less than Some extra may be used for cooling and possible PSU Absolute maximum is Taking suggestions will probably build this in November as a personal birthday present for myself nbsp

A:Taking suggestions for personal server hardware

What did you deside on?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/taking-suggestions-for-personal-server-hardware.108711/
Relevancy 23.65%

Techspotters,

This should be simple to fix but I'm having a problem figuring it out. A customer as 4 PCs, all running XP. 3 are XP Pro and one is XP Home. All are connected peer-to-peer through a router. Assigned all of them to a new workgroup and they can see each other. There is one PC that the others cannot access its shared folders. We can access its shared printer folder. Searched the web and tried various solutions including editing the registry but still nothing's working. We get the error "\\Dad\c is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource" and either "not enough server storage is available to process this command" or "the network path is not found" Also, this one is a laptop that is connceted wirelessly whereas the others are connected directly to the router.

Any suggestions?

A:Cannot Access Shared Folders on XP Network

Sometimes there's nothing simple about Windows Networking and File Sharing!

You said they can all see each other?

The only issue is accessing a shared folder on one of the PCs? But the shared printers on that PC are accessible?

To make this easier to discuss particulars, could you tell me the following about each computer and then i (we) can both refer to a machine by name to avoid confusion.

- Machine Name
- XP Pro or XP Home?
- LAN or Wireless connected

And which computer (tell me machine name) has a shared folder not accessible to others.

Also, it sounds like the problem is down to just an authentication issue but i'll offer these links as fyi's you may want to at least skim through to check things. Also, we'll also probably find LanSpy (described in Part1) helpful to diagnose this

TROUBLESHOOT: Part1, XP File and Printer Sharing

Part 2, ?Troubleshoot: XP File and Printer Sharing, Computers Not Found? Diagnose Computer Browser Service

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cannot-access-shared-folders-on-xp-network.108179/
Relevancy 23.65%

So I just set up my old laptops harddrive as an external harddrive. When I tried accessing a folder that was hidden it denied me access. I read around and found turning off simple file sharing than right clicking the hidden folder and going to sharing and security tab. From here I was supposed to do a few things under the security tab but it will not let me do this. When I click sharing and security a message comes up saying I do not have permission to view or edit current permission settings. How can I fix this or how can I access the hidden folder?

A:Cant view hidden folders

I found the solution so mods can delete this thread

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-view-hidden-folders.105443/
Relevancy 23.22%

I m running a small office network of computers Only one computer that I m aware of has the problem The computer has full access to internet and all network printers but drives/folders network access XP can't computer Pro is unable to access the server XP Pro computer can't access network drives/folders or any shared files on the other computers I can ping all tested computers over the network without problem as well as the default gateway but get the error message quot MsHome is unaccessable quot when I click quot view workgroup computers quot I ve reconfigured the network on this computer using the Network setup wizard and after tweaking a few other things I was able to get full access of the network from the computer but upon the next start up without any software changes I m again XP Pro computer can't access network drives/folders unable to acess the network I ve tried repairing the connection both with the dropdown menu and through the cmd prompt The network troubleshooter was no help and I m running out of ideas Help me out Thanks EDIT I ll also add that all computer on the network are running XP Pro nbsp

A:XP Pro computer can't access network drives/folders

i had this on a xp machine years and years ago turned out to be some kind of stuff up in my wmi service windows management thing.
there is a way you can repair it but when i attempted to do that it still failed

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/xp-pro-computer-cant-access-network-drives-folders.103836/
Relevancy 18.06%

Hi I have this problem we have a server running exchange server. There is 3 computers connected to the server running outlook. On 1 of the computers all of the emails have been deleted how can i restore the emails back onto this computer the other 2 computers have all of the emails.

A:Outlook passed 2gb .pst file

Oh I thought you were wondering about changeing the maximum limit : http://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?t=98129

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/outlook-passed-2gb-pst-file.102976/
Relevancy 17.63%

Hey people
I have Microsoft Outlook 2007 Service Pack 1
I would like to know how I can install Polish for spell checking
I can speak Polish but can't write it

A:How do I install Polish language for spell checking in Outlook 2007 SP1?

I think installing Proofing Tools from your Office CD and then install Polish proofing tools.

More info here: http://www.outlook-tips.net/archives/2006/20061229.htm

And here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc179042.aspx
And here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937156

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-i-install-polish-language-for-spell-checking-in-outlook-2007-sp1.102973/
Relevancy 31.39%

I have some Logitech Z-2300 speakers, and a 7.1 X-Fi Xtreme Music soundcard.

Could I get a few extra speakers to make my pc into 5.1 surrond?

I'm guessing I would need two extra sets of speakers, any advice?

CHeers,

Alex.

A:Bodging surrond sound? I have 2.1, buy a few extra 2 channel speakers?

You cannot upgrade that into 5.1 since your
built-in amplifier is designed to produce 2.1.

even "if" you have extra audio outputs for speakers
at the back of your subwoofer enclosure & add or tap
another set of speakers to that,you still get the 2.1 Ch.

if you want to add some more speakers,you also need
to add another amplifier & hook that new sets of speakers
to your new amplifier & plug it to another audio output from
your sound card (rear/front).but that is only 4.1 Ch in equivalent.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bodging-surrond-sound-i-have-2-1-buy-a-few-extra-2-channel-speakers.101739/
Relevancy 23.65%

I bought a new computer when the CPU of my old hard How drives? to from old unlock folders computer suddenly failed I pulled out the old master hard drive from my old computer Hoping to retrieve some old important documents from this old drive I put it How to unlock folders from old hard drives? in a USB hard drive enclosure and hook it up to my new computer using USB I really do not want to open my new computer and install the old drive as an internal drive The new computer is able to read this old drive with no difficulty However I am not able to access the quot My Document quot folder in my old hard drive I have attempted to solve this by creating in the new computer the same user name that I have used in my How to unlock folders from old hard drives? old computer and log on using this old user name However I still How to unlock folders from old hard drives? cannot access the quot My Document quot folder in the old hard drive Is there any way of quot unlocking quot this folder from my old hard drive now connected to the new computer using USB without opening the new computer nbsp

A:How to unlock folders from old hard drives?

i've never encountered such a thing before, check for encryption, viruses, or security settings that may cause this.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-unlock-folders-from-old-hard-drives.19249/
Relevancy 22.79%

I recently removed a secondary HDD from my old Windows XP machine. However, I did not remove sharing from several folders on the HDD before physically removing it. Now, when I access the shares from that computer, I still see the folders that are on the removed HDD (but obviously I can't open them). Where is the listing of shares stored in Windows XP? How can I remove these shares?

A:Samba shares remain after removal of HDD containing shared folders - Windows XP

try opening My Network Places, and deleting them from there.

also might try My Computer, select the Share and then Disconnect

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/samba-shares-remain-after-removal-of-hdd-containing-shared-folders-windows-xp.97788/
Relevancy 32.68%

Okay so I Partition help Extra was jacking around on my computer under quot computer management quot specifically under quot disk management quot and I saw that I could create an extra partition from my current one So I proceeded to create an extra partition the size of GB just to make sure I didn t blow my whole drive Extra Partition help away Anyway I can use the extra partition as I should be able to but a GB partition isn t very useful at all So I want to know if I can add Extra Partition help that GB partition back to my original partition especially since I only have a GB hard drive Right now I have it basically removed with no drive letter assigned and I ve set it so it doesn t show under quot My Computer quot Also everytime I start up my computer it says it has located new hardware my extra GB partition and that it failed to properly install the drive I believe this is just because I ve removed the drive letter and hidden the drive but it s still annoying Anyway I want to know if I can re-add that GB back to my original partition and if I can t how I can get my computer to stop displaying the quot Found New Hardware quot window at start-up Thanks for the help sorry for the ber long thread nbsp

A:Extra Partition help

The "new hardware" has nothing to do with the drive you made and deleted. You must have removed something from the device manager.

As for getting the unused space with your original primary partition, it's posible, with 3rd party software. BUT, is extreamly risky. If I where you I'd just leave it as it is and use it as a 2nd partition. (even if it's small )

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/extra-partition-help.94325/
Relevancy 23.65%

Hey Techspot,
The other computers in my network have trouble accessing certain shared folders on my main computer. I have three drives installed, C: my OS drive, and D: and B: file drives. My C: Public folder, another folder on C: and my entire D: drive have been shared for a long time, and are the only paths the other computers can access. Anything I try to share now (except stuff on the D: drive, since the entire thing is share-enabled) will return the "is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource." error.
I can understand why a computer in it's entirity wouldn't be accessible across a network, but as to why certain locations wouldn't work - some on the same drive as locations that do work - I'm at a loss.
Thanks in advance!

A:Certain paths and folders inaccessable across network.

The edit button isn't working so:
I forgot to mention, all the computers are running Vista Home Premium or Ultimate, all on an ethernet lan with a Belkin router.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/certain-paths-and-folders-inaccessable-across-network.94200/
Relevancy 23.65%

Hi i have a server and wanted to share quickbook so that i can use the file from the server when i am in another location (no same building) if some one can help with a guide thanks

A:Setting up shared folders

You could use TightVNC to access your folders remotely, it's free and easy to setup. http://www.tightvnc.com/faq.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/setting-up-shared-folders.93781/
Relevancy 23.22%

I have a small domain setup with a mix of Win K Win XP Windows Mobile and Windows Vista roaming profile Vista <<username>>.v2 folders clients The server is setup with roaming profiles and folder redirection for all users All was working well until you guessed it I added the Vista clients First of all the Vista clients create a new folder called Vista <<username>>.v2 roaming profile folders lt lt Vista <<username>>.v2 roaming profile folders username gt gt V in the profile store which is annoying but I can cope with however it doesn t copy accross the users settings This means that the user ends up with a blank profile Now some of the information Favorites My Docs and Desktop etc can be linked copied or are not that important but it means that when changes are made to one copy of the profile say wallpaper for example - just for simplicity it is not changed on the other profile as they have seperate registries Does anyone know of a way to get Vista and other clients to use the same profiles -or- does anyone know if Server is going to address this problem I have been looking all day when I could have been getting on with other things and have found no help at all nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/vista-username-v2-roaming-profile-folders.90927/
Relevancy 23.65%

i have a 400gig external usb drive its 3 weeks old and has worked perfectly until now i just moved a folder onto the drive and now it is showing that there are no folders on the drive , i can access the drive as normal but there is no files there, it shows that ive used 165gig of the 400gig when i click on properties . Ive run a disk recovery program which shows all my missing files but i have a laptop with only a 80gig harddrive so the program cant back up the files to my to laptop. Is there any way of recovering my files without using another drive

A:usb drive folders just disapeared

have you tried to reinstall driver, unplug the usb and power and replug it and shut down the window.s

1. shut down windows and external hard drive

2, turn on the external hard drive first before computer, let it run for about 10 seconds.

3. turn the computer on and try it again.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/usb-drive-folders-just-disapeared.89181/
Relevancy 30.96%

This is my first attempt at building my own pc so forgive me if this is a silly question This pc has an SCSI as the primary drive gig and I m trying to add two g drives that are edi drives I hard SCSI primary is extra won't drives (edi) PC drive recognize added a new dvd drive video card and usb card and those all work fine I tried the drives set to slave PC won't recognize extra hard drives (edi) primary is SCSI drive as well as well as cable select I even removed one of the drives so that the only connector is the edi slave connector Am I having a problem because I m trying to use an SCSI drive and the two edi drives Do I need to use one or the other in order for this to work Any help would be greatly appreciated Let me give a little more information if it helps The computer is a Dell Precision Workstation Company upgraded all their pc s and sold off the old ones for each I want to ue this as a media server for my home network It has a GB SCSI drive on it now that has my Windows XP Home Edition and a few other programs on it I was going to keep it for exactly what it does now Basic everyday pc duties I wanted to add two bigger drives for storage The mother board has an SCSI connector and two EDI connectors The secondary EDI connector is connected to the DVD drive and the CD drive Obviously I don t need both but just left the cd drive in there since it wasn t hurting anything Those both read and work fine I have the two GB storage drives connected to the primary EDI connector The ribbon cable attached to the SCSI main drive have three unused connectors and another device attached to the connector on the drive that appears to be an active connector I have no idea what the connectors do but I did a search on the web and what I have looks like a picture I saw of an active connector That may or may not be right Just trying to give as much information as I can I have also updated my profile to give as much detail as I could on this system I thought this would be a simple plug and play deal but the drives aren t being read I no PC expert by any means but I hit F when the system was booting to see if I could find the drives showing up anywhere Not sure what I as looking for but it did list the main drive durin boot up but not the others Ok now I tried to take the SCSI drive out and just go with the two EDI drives and reload WIndows XP XP went through it s set up process and when it was done the computer restarted and the two drives don t show up and I get a disc read error press ctl alt del to restart when I do that I get the same result I m at a loss on what I m doing wrong nbsp

A:PC won't recognize extra hard drives (edi) primary is SCSI drive

Hold on a minute... edi you mean IDE or eIDE don't you?

SCSI hard drives need to have terminated cables. IDE cables do not use termination. I would ditch the SCSI, but you will have to get into the bios settings and change the primary boot drive settings

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-wont-recognize-extra-hard-drives-edi-primary-is-scsi-drive.88725/
Relevancy 30.1%

Ok. I got a new 8800gts 320mb, and it requires 2 power cables to run, but i only have 1 available. so i thought i'd disconnect the lead for the extra dvd drive i have, and use that. so i just unplugged that cable, and (without inserting the new graphics card) attemped to start up the computer. it turned on, and the intel logo came up, but instead of the windows logo, the monitor went in and out of standby mode in the space of 3 seconds, and then i got a black screen with the monitor turned on, and the fans going.

so i plugged the cable back into the dvd drive, and it's working fine. what could be the problem. i dont want to try something stupid and break the new card

Thanks in advance

A:Plugged out power from extra dvd drive for graphics card. black screen on startup

It might help to list your system specifications. It sounds like your power supply is insufficient but I'm flying blind.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/plugged-out-power-from-extra-dvd-drive-for-graphics-card-black-screen-on-startup.87192/
Relevancy 23.65%

Okay here s one that I m embarrassed to say has stumped me Although I haven t pulled all the stops yet so technically I m not stumped in Can't Vista shared see folders - haha Anyway here s Can't see shared folders in Vista the deal I ve got shared folders on my network I can see them on my XP machines but not on the lone Vista machine The PC with the folders is an XP machine as logic may tell you All the Can't see shared folders in Vista other XPs are desktops connected on a LAN The Vista is a notebook using WiFi but it can t see the folders when directly connected either The XP file server was Vista a few days ago but we decided to go back to XP after months of trouble with the printer The laptop was able to see the folders when the server was Vista if that s of any help Wow that description is a long unorganized ramble Lemme try to break it down Fileserver XP Pro Client Vista Home Premium Problem Can t see shared files Ok that s simpler Any help is much appreciated nbsp

A:Can't see shared folders in Vista

Check out this:

http://thevistaforums.com/index.php?

Good luck

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-see-shared-folders-in-vista.86745/
Relevancy 23.65%

Hi,

I have just set up Samba to create a shared drive between my laptop running Ubuntu v7.04 and my desktop running WinXP home SP2. This is great and I am really pleased that I've been able to make it work with the help of a really clear guide!

The question I have now (and I am sure it is a simple one!) is this - how do I create links between files and folders on other drives on the XP machine and the shared drive and the same with files and folders on Ubuntu? So that I am not cutting and pasting everything to the shared drive.

Will.

A:How do I Share Files and Folders?

Sorry,

Was a little anxious and wanted reassurance before doing anything - however some basic web searches calmed my frayed nerves - it's been a busy day.

Will

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-i-share-files-and-folders.86695/
Relevancy 32.25%

I'm really kind of a novice at putting together computers. Right now I have a Seagate HD with these specs:
Disk Drive ST380011A (80 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)

I'd like to add a really large HD, like maybe 500 GB, but I'm not sure what kind I'd need to get to work well with my current system. Also, what would I need to do to install it in my computer? Or if I get an external drive, what will I need to do to get the new drive running properly with the old drive?

A:How do I add an extra hard drive?

If you get a nice big ata 133 drive it should work without any problems inside your pc provided you have a spare plug on the data cable, a spare power plug, and enough room to fix it in.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-i-add-an-extra-hard-drive.85983/
Relevancy 31.82%

Hello all,
Other than having a external hard drive, can I have 3 internal hard drive and if yes how?
Thank you for your responds.
Jon

A:Extra internal hard drive!

Yes, you can have any number of internal hard drives. All you need is a place to mount them, power and a controller to connect them to.

How? Just see if you have all of the above, buy and connect the thing

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/extra-internal-hard-drive.74499/
Relevancy 23.65%

I am trying to map to a shared folder on a server, but cannot. I go through the steps of mapping a drive, but when I try to expand the server, nothing shows up. So the server is visible but not the shared folders. any clues as to what might be happening?

conrado

A:Shared Folders not visible

the system names get passed via port 137
the actual shares are passed on ports 139,445

make sure the system that has the data shared, does so without using a
sharename that ends in $, eg invisibleShare$

what version of the server are you using?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/shared-folders-not-visible.73540/
Relevancy 32.25%

Recently I bought some new extra RAM
new: DDR PC3200 512Mb RAM (Corsair)
to go with my
old: DDR PC3200 512Mb RAM (Adata)
When starting up the computer, the memory check is OK (wich was not the case with some othe RAM I bought)
But when it comes to starting Windows XP, my PC shows the WinXP loading screen for a second and then starts te entire startup process al over again.

When I remove one of the memory chips this problem doesn't occur anymore.
So individually they work just fine.

Can anyone help me?

A:Extra RAM, windows won't boot...

Sounds weird. But not new, same thing happened to me. I tried running kingston with g skill, ram posted in bios, but wouldnt start up. Try making sure the timings on the ram are natively identical

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/extra-ram-windows-wont-boot.72872/
Relevancy 18.06%

I am encountering a bizarre issue synchronizing a Motorola Q to our in-house Exchange server. Topically, everything is working as expected. The problem at hand is, at seemingly random intervals, the Outlook inbox as well as the Q Outlook inbox randomly marks all messages as read; as would be expected, this is creating havoc in matters of scheduling, &c. I have searched all of the Outlook settings, as well as all available Outlook-related options on the Q to no avail. Has anyone had any experience with these phones or any such synchronization issues? Outlook 2003 is completely updated; I am not sure about the version of the Q's firmware, but would assume, considering the phone is new, that it is probably the latest version....

Any ideas?

Regards,

Shane

A:Motorola Q- Outlook 2003 sync issue

Check with technical support for Motorola Q phone... To see if they have any issues like you have described above..

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/motorola-q-outlook-2003-sync-issue.71124/
Relevancy 31.82%

Hi all,

Ive got an XFX GeForce 7900GT. The graphics card has an extra 4 pin power connection on it.

My mobo is a Giga-Byte GA-965P-DS4 which beside the 24 pin main power connection has another regular 4 pin IDE power connection which is supposed to be connected to supply extra power to the PCIe x16 slot.

Is it only advised to use one or should I use both???

Damien

A:Do I need the extra power on the graphics card??

damienb, yes you should use the 4 pin IDE power connection.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/do-i-need-the-extra-power-on-the-graphics-card.69170/
Relevancy 31.82%

Is an am2 4600+ worth the extra over a 4200+?

A:Is an am2 4600+ worth the extra over a 4200+?

it's faster... and since dual core intel chips are beating AMD hands down now, I'd spend the $ if you're going AMD. And AMD makes good chips also.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-an-am2-4600-worth-the-extra-over-a-4200.64153/
Relevancy 25.37%

I'm looking to build a new computer, and i set a $200 budget for the card. I dont really need an amazing card, just something that can perform/oc well. I'd like to max out some of my fave games, Like CS, WoW, Fear, ect. I've found a couple really good cards, but when it comes down to it, I cant decide between the ATI chipset, or and Nvidia. I've tried both chipsets in previous builds, and both have been up to par. Here's my current specs for the build.

DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD
AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 ClawHammer 2.6GHz Socket 939

Any recommendations?
Thnx

A:ATI or Nvidia, personal choice, or smart choice?

If you really want an FX-55, why not get the San Diego version instead?
As far as Nvidia or ATi it really depends on the games. Some do better with ATi and some with Nvidia.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ati-or-nvidia-personal-choice-or-smart-choice.60457/
Relevancy 31.82%

I m building a computer and I want to build it so its dual graphics card ready so when I start feeling some lag in games I can either put another card in or use the SLi Crossfire as a selling feature are either VS Crossfire SLi. extra cash? worth And the really and eBay it The thing is I cant decide between SLi or Crossfire My processor will probably be a E Core Duo even though I m an AMD fan My buddy keeps insisting that ATI makes the fastest cards and Crossfire is the future but right now SLi is the most advanced and its right now that I m buying the motherboard technology So who is right should I do Crossfire or SLi Also is the extra money spent making the system SLi Crossfire ready worth it I mean for example reading reviews and charts having two GT s only seems to have a performance advantage over having a single GT Not worth spending another dollars in the build for a better PSU and motherboard plus the extra dollars for the card in my opinion Or am I wrong nbsp

A:Crossfire VS SLi. And are either really worth the extra cash?

It depends on you. If you game at extremely high resolution, with lots of AA & AF, and all the game's settings maxed out, then you'll really appreciate dual cards.

But if you're like me, and don't care about AA and gaming at 1600x1200, then save a lot of money, and buy a single, fast videocard, like a 7900GTX or a X1950XTX.

And I think that SLI is better than Crossfire. I think SLI is a more mature technology than Crossfire. Better game developers suppot.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/crossfire-vs-sli-and-are-either-really-worth-the-extra-cash.60203/
Relevancy 23.65%

Hey there,

kinda new here so be kind, thanks. Ive a issue here with regards my installing a new 400w psu as apposed to my 300w i was useing before, and tho im all booted up n for intense purposes running o.k dokee like, i cant seem to access my folders on other drive partitions. for example, on my desktop ive world of warcraft icon, and having spent awhile installing it last night and patching it, the icons inncorect, so upon trying to correct it i get to the games partition, and games folder.. but it just wont let me access it, says access denied, restricted.

can i use yah brains on this one please? cheers..

Jay. p.s. let me know if you need any hardware info otherwise, im useing a pentium 4 2.93ghz pc, 250gb SATA hard drive, 1 gig ram.

cheers.
James,

A:New Psu, Now No Accsess Folders On Other Drive Partiions

What was the reason for you changing the PSU? power shortage, burnt out, not enough etc?

try a chkdsk /f and/or a diagnostic tool from the manufacturer of your HDD's website.

Maybe check that you've given that partition a valid drive letter in (right click) My Computer> Manage> Disk Management

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-psu-now-no-accsess-folders-on-other-drive-partiions.58593/
Relevancy 32.25%

the place where i get my parts from has the e6400 processor on special, do you recon I should go for the e6400 instead of the e6300 which I had initially planned to purchase?

System specs are as follows
CASE/PSU = Antec sonata II with 450W smartpower PSU
CPU = Intel Core 2 Duo E6300/e6400 Conroe
MOBO = Intel DP965LT
Graphics Card = Gigabyte 7600GT silent pipe II
RAM = Legend 2 x 1gb 800mhz 240pin
HDD = Western Digital Caviar 250gb 7200rpm
DVD Burner = LG 16x dual layer
DVD reader/cd burner = LG Combo Drive
Floppy = Panasonic
Monitor = Samsung Syncmaster 753s (maybe I will upgrade to LCD soon)
Mouse = Microsoft Optical Scroll
Keyboard = Standard Microsoft Keyboard

If you reply, I would appreciate it if you could say why you said whatever you said. As always, any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Korrupt

A:$55 extra to go from e6300 to e6400?

That card is very big, takes up 2 slots so dont plan on SLI

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/55-extra-to-go-from-e6300-to-e6400.57526/
Relevancy 23.22%

Just like the title says when see network Can't work. at shared folders/printers I m at work I can t see any of our file server s shared folders or any of our networked or shared printers when I m on my laptop I could a few weeks ago before I reformatted after getting a nasty virus Bt after reformatting it just didn t see the printers or shared files What s more nobody can see Can't see shared network folders/printers at work. my computer connected either After I messed around with the settings workgroup and computer name I can t even see the workgroup that the printers and server are on Heck I can t even see the workgroup that I M on which means that if I go to quot View Entire Network quot and go to Microsoft Windows Network it shows a total of zero workgroups there Obviously I m connected since I can connect to the internet And I know that I m connected to the correct router And I can login to the router s admin panel and I can see my computer in the DHCP area So it sees me Can't see shared network folders/printers at work. So help If you need more informatoin feel free to ask nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-see-shared-network-folders-printers-at-work.55139/
Relevancy 18.06%

I have a weird problem connection problem when I to go to Outlook. The connection says authorizing then a timeout error. This problem comes and goes. Does anyone have a thought as to what this might be?

A:DSL/Outlook Express problem

Try disabling email scanning in your AV/Firewall.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dsl-outlook-express-problem.54704/
Relevancy 23.65%

Trying to get my windows network file sharing up and running again after months not using it i ran network setup wizard on both machines and now internet sharing is enabled and runs perfectly The problem is in network places view workgroup computers i double click the other computers icon to try and get a listing of shared files on that computer and it comes up with the error family is not accessible you might not have permission to use this network resource contact the administrator of this server its just a regular workstation to find out if you have access permissions This is really bugging me because there are no passwords on either of the computers and i have run the network setup wizard Windows on Network Shared Folders many Shared Folders on Windows Network times and tried many different options to get file sharing to work The most weird thing is i can use the icons for shared network resources in my network places to gain access to the folders that do appear there about half of the total shared folders Windows knowledgebase is useless surprised i am not and all the other similar cases seem to be unsolved just wondering if anyone else has had this problem or knows what the problem could be a result of some info Both PC s running windows XP SP I have tried disabling firewalls on both computers Both computers are plugged into a D-link dsl- port adsl router and can use the internet and shared printer with no troubles Any help would be Extremely appreciated Cheers Scott nbsp

A:Shared Folders on Windows Network

for clarity, port 139 and 445 are used for print/file sharing.

On the remote computer (ie the one without the folder being accessed),
use the Exploter Tool/Map Network Drive menu

pick a drive letter
click Browse
open the Workgroup and then the computer name you want
you should see a list of Sharible Folders to select from
IF so, continue with the selection

If NOT, then reverify, that all systems have the same Workgroup name
(ie: XP defaults to MSHOME)
Also, set the Guest account password on all systems and THEN disable
Guest Login. This then restricts file sharing to those who know the password
(just in case there's a security breach into one of the systems).

If the computer Names do not show, then check your firewall for ports above,
otherwise seeing the names implies the firewall is set correctly

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/shared-folders-on-windows-network.51643/
Relevancy 23.65%

I bought a new desktop and have 2 laptops. The desktop is my main computer and would like to create shared folders or a Partitioned network drive between them. Would I be better off making a partition on my desktop that would have all my files, etc. on it and then just have the laptops map to it by a Network Drive. Or should I make a shared folder between the desktop and the 2 laptops. Is there a benifit that one has over the other? What would you do?

A:Shared Folders vs. Network Drives

Little better explination:

My harddrive has 2 partitions: C: 60GB and S: 20GB

C: has the operating system and programs on it while

S: currently has documents, pictures, quickbooks files, music, etc.

Would I be fine to Map to the S: drive from my laptops (it would show up as a network drive under My Computer) 2 partitions used
Or just share the folders that have the files in them (My Documents Folder) and only have; 1 partition used
Which one would be more convenient to use?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/shared-folders-vs-network-drives.48706/
Relevancy 31.39%

I've had my eye on the 17" Samsung Syncmaster 740 LCD monitor. I can get the 740N (analog only) for about $65 cheaper than the 740B including a DVI cable. Is a digital connection really that much better? I've read comments in both camps - some say the difference is like night and day, others say signal conversion is now good enough that you can hardly tell the difference.

I use my computer for gaming and photography, but not DVDs (why bother when the video card is hooked up to the TV?). And the vid card has a DVI input. Any opinions? Thanks.

A:LCD digital vs analog: is DVI worth the extra cash?

It is your eyes that will be looking at the picture..

Analog VGA over a long low quality cable can look very bad, but you may also not be able to tell the difference in better circumstances. The DAC in your video card may be really low quality, you may be using interference-prone resolutions, the ADC in the monitor may be pure crap.. there's a lot of variables.

The only way to be sure is to try

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lcd-digital-vs-analog-is-dvi-worth-the-extra-cash.46484/
Relevancy 22.79%

Hi

I need to set a folder on a server at work to be accessible as read only or full access depending on the password. The server is running Windows 98 SE but the client computers are using windows XP home. The trouble is that the windows XP home computers dont ask for passwords when i try to access the folder. Is it possible to make the windows XP home computers ask for a password when i try to access the folder across the network to secure the folder?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/setting-network-priveleges-on-a-windows-98-server-that-will-protect-folders-on-xp.44754/
Relevancy 18.49%

I have windows XP .When i opening Microsoft outlook It get hanging.When i changing the data store folder then it opening.After 2 or 3 days the same pbm occured.I have Macfee 8.0 installed on that pc.
Plz give solution.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/microsoft-outlook.44346/
Relevancy 32.25%

I am thinking about upgrading my comp within the next few months and i think i want a 6600 GT card because of cost but i dont know if i should get a 128 or 256 version.

I only really play css

If it matters i am looking at a AMD Anthlon 64 3500 and any board with PCI-e and NForce 4.

A:6600GT PCI-e (128mb or pay extra for 256?)

joman2055 said:

I am thinking about upgrading my comp within the next few months and i think i want a 6600 GT card because of cost but i dont know if i should get a 128 or 256 version.

I only really play css

If it matters i am looking at a AMD Anthlon 64 3500 and any board with PCI-e and NForce 4.Click to expand...

save your money and get the 6600GT if all you are doing is playing counterstrike then thats all you need.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/6600gt-pci-e-128mb-or-pay-extra-for-256.43987/
Relevancy 18.06%

I have just lost every thing on O/Exp, all folders, emails the lot, it now looks like the first time I ran with O/Exp all the basic folders are there but empty, I have tried restore but it's just the same. Have done a search and what comes up is the same empty O/Exp. I have a feeling that the start up may be inhibited as I had a start up progame and monitor which I have just deleted. HELP, if the wife finds out I will be made to do the ironing for a month aaah.
Degs

A:Outlook Express Disappearance

This link is almost relevant- http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313055/ the bit about searching for .dbx files certainly is.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/outlook-express-disappearance.42308/
Relevancy 22.79%

I am a grad student and have access to 15+ network folders on 3 different campuses. In order to access these folders I would just create a shortcut with \\server\folder, that way I didn't need to have to deal with the problems of mapping drives and not always having access to all of them etc. The system worked fine until I just ran a fresh reinstall of XP on my laptop. Now when I try to do the same thing I get the following

For the life of me I can't figure out how to get XP to allow me to log in as a different user. I have turned off the Guest user under user profiles as well as uncheck "Use simple file sharing" which were suggestions that I have received from someone else, neither of which worked. If you guys have any insight into this I would really appreciate it. Thanks a ton.

A:WinXP forcing login as Guest when connecting to network folders....?

Normally when you map network drives in Windows 2000/XP it will have a thing at the bottom of the open windows that will say "Connect to a different user name". When you first map the drive just click that statement and then tell windows what user name and password to use.

Hope that helped.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/winxp-forcing-login-as-guest-when-connecting-to-network-folders.9146/