Windows Support Forum

No Power to SATA hard drives

Q: No Power to SATA hard drives

Sorry I must not have sent the last post correctly I am new to this site So I will try again I was getting ready to upgrade to bigger hard drive or drives Before doing that I needed to take the old hard drives out to obtain some information off the labels I did so and while they where out I cleaned the Mounting slots a little better than using just No drives to SATA Power hard air Having done that I re-installed them both When I turned on the power button the button lit up and the fans were running But No Power to SATA hard drives it No Power to SATA hard drives does not seem that the hard drives are getting any power as I can t hear or feel any thing Plus the computer is not booting No Power to SATA hard drives I don t recall unplugging anything other than the two hard drives But I also notice that I have a short cable bundle with two white plugs with three pins and one empty pin hole on the other end a black connection with with five connector slots with one middle on blank That makes me think that I unplugged the power to the hard drive someplace along the ling As I have a wire bundle that has two SATA power connectors that are plugged in But their are three white female plugs marked P P and P which are not connected to anything in that wire bundle I don t know at this point if the power comes through that bundle from the power source Of if I do not have the power plugged into the lope I hope that somebody can help me figure this out and let me know if I burnt out the hard drives and have to start over with my recover disk reloading windows and going from there nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: No Power to SATA hard drives

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: No Power to SATA hard drives

How would I close this post out. Dumb me had the monitor plugged into an unused VGA port. It only took me two and a half days to figure that out. I wanted to let others know to check and see if they have everything plugged in where it should be. Including the VGA or other monitor cables.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-power-to-sata-hard-drives.204843/
Relevancy 73.53%

Hi,
I currently have 2 PATA hard drives installed in my system that both run off the same IDE ribbon cable. My MSI MS-7184 motherboard has 2 SATA connections and 2 SATA power supplies available. Would I benefit much by upgrading my hardrives to SATA ones? One of them holds the operating system and programs etc (160GB) and the other stores my mp3's (320GB). Would there be much speed gained or not enough for me to notice? Also would data be transferred faster if my PATA drives had one IDE cable each instead of sharing one? I seem to have 2 IDE connections on the motherboard.

Relevancy 72.67%

I have two separate instances of Win running on two separate IDE hard drives both Win 's restored from same exact backup image The one on the hard drive comected to the SATA port via an adaptor runs fine but the Ide/SATA IDE two MB port via IDE and on SATA OS Hard Drives: adaptor, one on the IDE connection motherboard's only one does not respond properly when a manual shutdown is initiated Instead of shutting down the PC it goes OS on two IDE Hard Drives: SATA port via Ide/SATA adaptor, and MB IDE into sleep mode This does not happen if OS on two IDE Hard Drives: SATA port via Ide/SATA adaptor, and MB IDE an application my backup software for instance is set to perform a shutdown after completing it's job Only affecting manual shutdowns but all of them So I am wondering if Win is lacking an IDE driver of some kind and if there is a way to deternine this Seems strange to me that while both hard drives are IDE quot underneath the hood quot that the one connected throgh an adaptor is more easily being recognized by Win and curious if there is an easy fix

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/8220-os-two-ide-hard-drives-sata-port-via-ide-sata-adaptor-mb-ide.html
Relevancy 72.67%

I have 2 IDE HDs installed and added SATA drive lately. SATA runs in IDE mode in CMOS. Problem is, even though SATA drive is recognized by BIOS, Disk Manager, Norton Ghost & System Works, it doesn't show in My Computer, causing problems with saving and opening files. Tried a couple of tricks (changing the drive letter,disconnecting & reconnecting the drive, reformatting etc. ) nothing seems to work. I use this SATA drive for storage and for now I have to drag the files down there manually.
I don't know if it's of any importance, but I have nVidia GeForce graphics card onboard.
Has anyone encountered this kind of a problem ?
Thanks Carl

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/sata-ide-hard-drives-no-sata-drive-in-my-computer-223799.html
Relevancy 68.37%

hello;

I have an ssd and hdd already connected to one sata power cable and was wondering if I can connect a third (ssd)?

I'm sure my psu can handle it!? but I just need some reassurance it can

Thanks in advanced!

A:can you have 3 drives connected to one SATA power cable?

Yes, if the cable has 3 or even 4 sata power connectors on it, you can use them all, the PSU puts out more power when it has to.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/375293-can-you-have-3-drives-connected-one-sata-power-cable.html
Relevancy 67.08%

Hello All

What is the difference between the SATA Hard Drive and IDE?. Which one is the best to buy.

-Seagate 750GB Barracuda 7200.10 IDE Ultra/100 - HD-ST3750640A
-Seagate 750GB Barracuda 7200.10 SATA 3Gb/s - HD-ST3750640AS

Thanks.

Hichael

A:Hard Drives(SATA or IDE? )

SATA is newer, faster, and better.
IDE (also known as PATA or ATA) is older and slower.

It is not recommended you mix the techonologies. It may or may not work depending on the motherboard you have. I have learned this from experience.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drives-sata-or-ide.87868/
Relevancy 67.08%

I currently have a 80gb seagate IDE hard drive. Fair enough, does the job pretty well.
I've been meaning to upgrade for a while and what I've seen around alot lately is SATA hard drives. New PSU, it has one SATA drive connector, my motherboard has two signal ones. The hardware is there just I have a few questions:

1. How easy is it to set up the drivers on XP Professional, I assume it can be done without wiping the system.
2. Can I still use the 80gb one? (It will eb used to boot off, the SATA will be used for storage)
3. How can I find out if my motherboard has SATA I or SATA II?

Also, if soemone could maybe give a step by step guide, that would be ace.

Cheers
Jack

Relevancy 67.08%

So I got a new hard drive for my new computer that is a SATA drive. My old two are IDE. I was wondering if it would be ok to put my IDE HD's in as slaves and leave my SATA HD in as the master... thoughts?

Also, if this were to work, how would I set up the IDE ones? Windows is on my 40 gig and my 80 gig has all of my games and stuff on it. I need to access both. Would I set both jumpers to slave and then just pick one to be on the end of the ribbon cable?

Relevancy 67.08%

Hi all (first question!)

I've just got a new pc, and I deliberately only got 1 hard drive as I was going to take out the slave drive from my old pc. However, being a noob I didn't realise that the old drive (it says it's an ultra sata drive if that helps) is connected to the mobo using an IDE cable, wheras the new drive is connected using the newer SATA 2 thin red cable.

The question is, can I have a SATA 2 connected hard drive and an IDE connected hard drive on the same mobo? I particularly wanted to put in that specific hard drive as I copied all of the pictures of my son onto that drive.

the mobo in question is an ECS P965T-A: DUAL DDR2, S-ATA, x16 VGA, 3 PCI/3 PCI-EX.

Thanks in advance!

A:IDE and SATA Hard drives

If your motherboard has an IDE connector, sure (although Tedster will try to tell you otherwise).

You may get some booting issues depending on the braindeadedness of your BIOS and the Windows installation. The only way to find out is to try

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ide-and-sata-hard-drives.69799/
Relevancy 67.08%

whats the difference between the two

A:sata ide hard drives

IDE are also called PATA (Parallel ATA) drives. They typically use 40- or 80- pin ribbon cables to connect to the system board.

SATA drives are "Serial ATA" drives, and provide much faster throughput, but use a different interface to connect to the system board (typically a 4-pin wire, non-ribbon cable).

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sata-ide-hard-drives.543481/
Relevancy 67.08%

I have a 80 gb Samsung HDD which has OS on it. I also want to install a SATA II 160 gb WD, but windows xp doesn't recognize the drive.

I have googled the problem, i think there could be a solution but they are so complicated for me. I should also say that I have an old motherboard which doesn't support SATA II.

After some searching on WD's website, I try to use a jumper setting but still there is the problem.
The setting I tried is like that:
IDE:
[] : : :

SATA:
: [] : :

Any ideas?

A:IDE and SATA Hard Drives

I've had older boards that didn't see drives that were set for 3Gbps transfer speeds... see if the drive has a jumper to limit the speed to 1.5Gbps. That's what I have to do to get drives to work on my old Asus A8V-series boards.

Does the drive show in the BIOS, but not in Windows? If your SATA controller has a RAID mode, you may have to go into the BIOS and configure it for IDE instead of RAID operation. Either way, you may also need to install drivers for the SATA controller (with some boards, it will be different drivers depending on whether it's set as RAID or IDE).

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ide-and-sata-hard-drives.981648/
Relevancy 67.08%

I have a sata 250gb hard drive and a ide 80 gb hard drive. I heard that in sata there is no master or slave. So what do u do with the jumpers on the sata drive, Do you just take them off or what? I want to have a partition on the sata 125 and 125 and have my windows on it. My questions is how do i set sata so that my pc boots from it and the ide is set to slave as a storage drive. Also my bios does not recognize the sata it only shows the ide being as master and nothing as being slave. idk how to set this up.

A:help with sata and ide hard drives

The jumper on the SATA drive is probably to force compatibility mode, i.e., set the drive to 150MB/sec speed vs 300MB/sec speed, as some older controllers won't work with the faster drives. Info on the jumpers should be printed on the label, or in the documentation that comes with the drive.

If your BIOS doesn't see the drive, it may need the drive jumpered for 150MB/sec mode, or it could be the SATA controller has been disabled. You'll need to search through the BIOS to find the settings for the SATA controller. There should also be some way to specify the SATA drive as the first boot drive vs the IDE, but that may not be visible until the BIOS can see the drive.

Jumpers on the IDE drive don't need to be changed. The Master/Slave settings only refer to how the controller refers to the two drives that it controls, not whether SATA or IDE is first boot device.

If you want to install anything earlier than Vista onto the SATA drive, you'll need to provide SATA drivers during the install via a floppy drive, or create your own install CD with the drivers slipstreamed onto the CD. The drivers should be on the Motherboard driver disk, or can be downloaded from the MB/PC manufacturers web site. Note that some motherboards have a BIOS setting that puts the SATA controllers into an IDE compatibility mode, so that Windows setup can recognize the drive without separate drivers.

If you don't have a floppy, this article is a good reference: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Install-Windows-XP-On-SATA-Without-a-Floppy-F6-47807.shtml
or just search google for install Windows XP on SATA

Jerry

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-with-sata-and-ide-hard-drives.719732/
Relevancy 67.08%

Just installed Win 8 but cant for the life in me get it to see the other Hard Drives or DVD Drives. The problem might be that 'Intel(R) C600/X79 series chipset 6-Port SATA AHCI Controller' has a little yellow icon against it. However I cant seem to get rid of it. Any Ideas?

A:OS Won't see other SATA Hard drives

Heh. I had the exact same issue on my first boot into Win8 Pro retail. For some reason, none of my other drives showed up. By SHUTTING DOWN, POWERING OFF, and REBOOTING, they magically appeared. You probably already have this fixed if you were the same as me.
If still there then your driver did not magically install itself and you need to go to your mobo's website for the right driver. If it fails due to Win8, try changing the compatibility mode in properties to Win7.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/8452-os-wont-see-other-sata-hard-drives.html
Relevancy 66.22%

Anybody know cheap prices for sata150 hdds? preferably $30 or under.

Thanks for any help

Relevancy 66.22%

Hi can anyone tell me if you can mix these drives.
I wanted to install my old drive as master which is IDE
and have my new disc as slave which is SATA
My motherboard supports both but I am unsure as to what the result would be.

This is my first build so any suggestions would be most helpful.

Relevancy 66.22%

I have just fired up my first computer build. The monitor, keyboard, mouse, 3.5 inch drive, CD reader all work fine. The motherboard is an Aopen AX4SPE Max and the BIOS is a Phoenix Award V6.00PG.

I have installed two Western Digital WD360 Raptor SATA drives, configured as RAID0. The BIOS reports the status of this volume as normal and bootable with a size of 68.9GB. There are no other hard drives in the system.

I have installed Windows XP Pro and it finds only 34.4GB as total size of drive C. With RAID 0 it should see one drive of 68G.

When I formatted the drives, one took several minutes and the second less than a minute. I can't for the life of me, find my way back to the place allowing me to format the drives.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

A:SATA Hard Drives Problem

see if there is anything on this link to help

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=128637&highlight=sata+raid+config

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sata-hard-drives-problem.165920/
Relevancy 66.22%

I am currently running Ubuntu 11.04 on my HP (DV5 1110em) laptop from an external USB 2 Buffalo ministation hard drive, I have noticed my machine is equipped with an E-SATA port. Would using an e-sata external hard drive be any faster that the usb option ?.

Regards
Northerner

A:USB.E-SATA external hard drives

Let's say the BUS is definitely faster on e-Sata. But if you really notice any improvement depends largely on your Hard drive.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/161511-usb-e-sata-external-hard-drives.html
Relevancy 66.22%

Hi group last night while trying to upgrade the Mrs Dell Inspiron while changing the heat sink I accidently pull the processor out of the socket.I cant get the machine to boot up again so I would like to clone the information from her drive onto another drive in another machine.Can somebody help me out Im new to doing this so I would great greatly appreciate the help thank you.

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,157626.0.html
Relevancy 66.22%

I had a Pentium III PC running Windows XP that I had installed a master hard drive which ran the operating system and programs, etc. and a larger slave drive that I have saved all of my data to for years. My PC recently broke down and a friend of mine gave me his Dell Dimension 4700 to use. Currently it has a Sata hard drive installed and connected to the primary ATA channel is a CD-RW and DVD-RW.
I want to use the slave drive out of my old system and I am not sure how to connect it. Does it have to be connected to the primary channel or can I use the secondary? And do I jumper it as the master or the slave since it has that sata drive already running?

A:Can you combine Sata and ATA hard drives?

You can definitely use PATA and SATA together. SATA and PATA drives are independent of each other therefore the jumper settings for Master and Slave are not based off the SATA drive, same as PATA drives connected to another PATA port. Master/Slave jumper settings only apply to drives connected on the very same cable. So if the hard drive is connected by itself on an IDE cable it should be jumpered as Master(or Single or Cable Select). If its connected with another drive on the same cable then you need to jumper one as Master and one as Slave(or both as Cable Select). As to which is Master and which is slave, doesn't really matter in most cases although most people prefer to have the HDD jumpered as Master. Additionally, the boot order in the BIOS will determine which drive will be used to boot the system, so make sure after adding the PATA drive that not only is that PATA/IDE channel enabled in the BIOS but that the boot order still has the SATA drive as the primary hard drive for booting.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-you-combine-sata-and-ata-hard-drives.1011291/
Relevancy 66.22%

I've built 2 computers recentlly for relatives, and have used SATA hard drives instead of IDE. Both computers have back-up drives. Here's what is weird. The drives are visible in the BIOS, AND are visible in Device Manager of XP. However, I cannot see them under My Computer, so that means nothing can be saved into them and in effect they cannot be back-up drives.

How can I get the drives to show up under My Computer?

Thanx.

A:Can't See Back-Up SATA Hard Drives

You need to go into disc management and format and consign drive letters/names to them

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cant-see-back-up-sata-hard-drives-489229.html
Relevancy 66.22%

Well, I'm building a computer from scratch with one Serial ATA hard drive. Everything seems to be working great, until I try to install Windows XP. I load up and everything goes well. I get to the Windows XP Install screen, I press F6 to load my drivers. I do so. However my hard drive is still not seen! I'm streched to the end of my rope. I've tried a different SATA cables, both the SATA 1 and the SATA 2 ports on the motherboard, different floppies and the drivers that came with the motherboard CD and the drivers from the floppy.

My motherboard is an ASUS SK8V.

Any suggestions?

Relevancy 66.22%

I filled out a pc spec form when I joined don t know if you guys can see it or not but I have two Sata II Drives x Western Digital GB drive with Windows XP amp are II Can Both help? Drives anyone Clicking, Hard Sata My all main apps x Maxtor GB extra storage games films misc about months ago or maybe more my Maxtor started to click all the time when I played games and it would freeze the whole game up then a whirring sound would come out of the drive then the computer would un-freeze giving me less than seconds to quit the game before the click happened again then when the game eventually quits and im back at the Desktop the Both My Sata II Hard Drives are Clicking, Can anyone help? clicking and whirring stops altogether and only happenes rarely when im browsing the internet or something Both My Sata II Hard Drives are Clicking, Can anyone help? although when I accessed some files on the Hard Drive it would click but not always anyway so I have unplugged the Maxtor ever since that started to prevent any further damage to it So since then My Pc has been running smoothly until a couple of days ago when my Western started having the exactly same clicking problem in exactly the same manner but not as frequent though I fear that if i do keep using my pc then the frequency will increase and I really don t know what to do about it I have been searching though the web and found out that some of the causes of this problem can be power surges poor power supply closely related to first cause poor condition of the cables high magnetic interference from speakers for e g though i only have small speakers beside my computer so that can t be the reason I Bought the Western in and the Maxtor within the past year so they are still very new drives and they should not be dying so soon I do not want to buy new drives if the same thing is going to happen again so I was wondering if you guys have any useful tips or solutions that I can try out I was thinking of trying a different PSU then to try using different sata cables what you guys think Any help at all will be greatly appreciated Thanks Berkan nbsp

Relevancy 66.22%

I have one of these motherboards

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3967#sp

It seems the SATA HDD and DVD ROM can either work in IDE mode or with SATA mode selected in the BIOS, the HDD can only work in RAID mode.
Is it possible to select SATA mode default and how would I do it through the BIOS ?

Relevancy 66.22%

BSOD with SATA hard drives- Viamraid sys Hello all- I just built a pc with these specs- Socket P ghz hyper threading psu Asrock v with BSOD hard drives SATA motherboard dual gb memory x gb seagate sata hard drive x gb maxtor sata hard drive dvd dvd-r floppy drives external usb cable modem Windows xp installed and updated successfully on the gb drive but if I try to format the gb drive or try run any programs from the gb drive or even sometimes at bootup i get a bluse screen with the following info- DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL Stop x D x x x xF A Viamraid sys-address F A base at F Datestamp e When I installed xp I pressed F to install the drivers from BSOD with SATA hard drives the Asrock disk which gave me the same blue screen and then downloaded the sata drivers from Via I also tried removing each memory stick and rebooting but still the same thing happened Any help would be greatly appreciated nbsp

A:BSOD with SATA hard drives

This is almost the exact same sort of issue I am having, was there any resolve ever?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bsod-with-sata-hard-drives.30081/
Relevancy 66.22%

I have a HP desktop PC that was factory fitted with a 160GB IDE hard drive. I have now added an internal 750GB SATA hard drive that will be used for data storage, the OS and Programs etc will stay on the IDE hard drive.
However, sometimes when I try to start the PC I get an error telling me that the 'BOOTMGR' cannot be found. I think the PC is trying to start from the SATA hard drive instead of the IDE one.
In the set-up (F2) I have set the PC to start from one of the DVD drives first and then the IDE hard drive but it does not appear to respect this, it always goes to the SATA drive.
How can I configure the PC to boot from DVD and then IDE and completely ignore the SATA hard drive?
The PC is running Vists Home Premium SP1, fully updated.

Relevancy 66.22%

New Build-- Jan Intel motherboard---BoxDG WHMKR P -retail CPU- Intel E MEM Gx Corsair Twin x Hard Drives Missing Sata - R VGA EVGA GS K Hard Drives-- WD GB sata and WD GB sata OS- Vista Ultimate Everything seemed to work fine on the new build for a week or so That is until I installed a promise ultra tx pci controler where I could add another hard drive ide drive Well after that the system would not even boot until I removed the pci controller card Also when it did boot found no operating system Sata Hard Drives Missing I rebooted into bios and my two sata hard drives were missing I have tried everything I can but the bios Sata Hard Drives Missing will not recognize the sata hard drives anymore However the sata dvd-rw is recognized and works fine I have cleared Sata Hard Drives Missing cmos have updated to new bios again reinstalled drivers still no sata hd in bios I even installed winxp pro on a ide hd using the only one slot this mb has and everything works fine on winxp but still bios will not recognize neither of my two sata hard drives When I installed the ultra controller in the pci slot did it mixup my controller drivers for the sata or what Have worked on this problem almost days Any help would be very much appreshiated nbsp

A:Sata Hard Drives Missing

First, if the BIOS can't find the drives, then your problem has got nothing to do with any software, including operating systems and drivers.

Try your SATA drives one at a time in another computer to make sure that they actually work.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sata-hard-drives-missing.69981/
Relevancy 66.22%

I am running two SATA hard drives (not in RAID) and have a spare IDE hard drive sitting around, was thinking of using it but I am unsure if it will affect the speed or anything of the SATA drives?

My computer needs a format so would it be better when I format to install the OS on the IDE or the SATA?

Any advice will be appreciated

A:Mixing SATA with IDE hard drives?

You can easily mix ATA (IDE) and SATA hdd's.

It would be best to have the OS installed on the SATA as it is the faster HDD.

I currently have my OS on an 80GB ATA(IDE) and my storage on a SATA, but that's for my own reasoning. Best to make the most ofthe speed of the SATA drive. Just make sure when installing Windows that you WILL need to have the motherboards sata drivers on a floppy disc.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/mixing-sata-with-ide-hard-drives.422821/
Relevancy 66.22%

Just bought a HDD on amazon and I was wondering if it comes with an SATA cable. It didnt say it did, nor did it say it didnt include one. If not, where could I buy one? Walmart? Best buy?

A:Do hard drives come with an SATA cable?

It depends. Often they are oem drives - no screws or leads included.

You might need screws, sata data cable and molex - sata power cable. They are usually very cheap on Amazon, Scan, Aria, etc.

I expect they have them in Best Buy.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/26913-do-hard-drives-come-sata-cable.html
Relevancy 66.22%

Hi, I'm looking at buying a new SATA hard drive and would like to clarify a few things. First, I know there are SATA-150 and -300 versions. Is a motherboard restricted to just one or the other? If a motherboard can only use one, say 150, would a 300 work and just not run at its max? Also, I think it's the buffer (usually 8MB or 16MB) - which is better and what do they do? I very much appreciate any answers, thanks in advance!

A:Questions about SATA Hard Drives

SATA is fully backwards compatible. All SATA 150 devices will play nicely with SATA 300 devices (at SATA 150 speeds).

The buffer size is totally irrelevant. Look at seek times (less is better), sustained throughput (more is better) and warranty (more is better).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/questions-about-sata-hard-drives.71819/
Relevancy 66.22%

Hey I just built a computer and it works all fine nad nice but one thng...I have two sata hard drives but it only registers one and when I try raid it says it doesn't detect it (as in the raid drive...says only unknown drive....and in bios it detects both drives...

Relevancy 65.36%

Hi everyone

I am running WXP SP3 using 2 X 20Gb Hard Drives with Raid 1.

The Motherboard is GA-81945P-G, it has 4 x SATA II connectors.

One of the Hard Drives became faulty. I need to change it.

Hard Drives are becoming obsolete.

Instead of changing for another IDE Drive, I intend to get 2 X 128 SATA II SSds.

Although I know a little about PCs, I do not know enough to install and set up new Drives.

Can you guys give me detailed advice sufficient for a novice to successfully carry out this task ?.

Your help will be very much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

A:Change from IDE Hard Drives To SATA SSDs

I hsve 3 Corsair SSDs...I install/use them the same as I would any drive with SATA connections, with the exception that I reserve their use for operating systems/programs installed. I have a ton of other drives I use for data storage, backups, etc and I see no value in using SSDs for storage at this time.

No special requirements that I'm aware of, just newer/better technology.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/478028/change-from-ide-hard-drives-to-sata-ssds/
Relevancy 65.36%

Hi We have hard SATA to PC...? Connecting IDE drives existing a PC here with a fried motherboard and the replacement is going to take a few days to arrive In the meantime we desperately Connecting SATA hard drives to existing IDE PC...? need to get the user s data off the hard drives Sod s law the user hasn t been backing up and the data is essential This PC is the only one we have with SATA hard drives I ve bought a Q-Tec SA Serial ATA PCI Card Apparently in theory if I fit this to another PC with IDE I can then plug the SATA drives in and backup the data on them If I can do this at least I can then set the user up on a spare PC until his new mobo arrives I m just a Connecting SATA hard drives to existing IDE PC...? bit nervous about actually doing this I ve never done anything more complicated than swapping hard drives or installing RAM and graphics cards and the like I ve hooked up laptop hard drives to desktops to remove data but that was straightforward plug em in via an adaptor cable and they worked straight away The guy in the shop I bought the card from said that it should work fine it shouldn t damage the hard drive or any of the data on it but he wasn t sure He said it ll work great for connecting a brand new SATA drive to another PC but wasn t completely sure about connecting an existing drive from another PC to remove the data I ve contacted Q-Tec via email but their standard response time is hours I can t find a telephone number to call and ask them and the user is desperate to get this data off a s a p So should this be a straightforward process Can I be reasonably sure that if I hook everything up together it won t mess up the hard drives If anyone has any advice to offer I d be very grateful Thanks nbsp

A:Connecting SATA hard drives to existing IDE PC...?

It should be very easy. First install the sata card into the working system. Install the drivers and make sure the device is installed correctly in device manager. Next shutdown and connect the drive. Note you will need a power adapter for the drive since sata and ide use different power plugs. The one exception to this is a WD drive; it has both power plugs on the back of the drive. If it is one of these, DO NOT use both plugs. Just install one power plug.

Once the drive is installed and power is connected to it, restart the system. You should see the drive in explorer / my computer; copy whatever you want.

The only problem you might have is some bios [ami] like to reset the boot device. If you have a problem, enter the bios and make sure the system still is set to boot from the original ide drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/connecting-sata-hard-drives-to-existing-ide-pc.400862/
Relevancy 65.36%

I have a Targa Ultra AN I had blue screen of hard not BIOS detecting SATA drives death I had to backup stuff from the drive so i disconnected it and used a USB Universal Drive to back up it to my onto my laptop Now the problem i have here is when I try to installed XP or Windows it does not find the hard drives It displays Unkown Disk lt There is no disk in this drive gt Things i have tired BIOS not detecting SATA hard drives disable the SATA in the BIOS and still does not detect any of my hard drives re-enable it and it still can t find it When I go to Standard CMOS Features it can not detect any hard drives It detects it then it doesn t detect it It comes and goes everytime They don t have any jumpers on them it came like that It should be IDE Master and IDE Slave I know some people are buying USB Floppy disk I really don t want to buy anything else due to Christmas coming up Any ideas to get my PC going nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/bios-not-detecting-sata-hard-drives.962360/
Relevancy 65.36%

I have 2 ATA/IDE drives that I want to put in a 2 bay enclosure. I can't find any multi bay IDE enclosures I have checked Tiger Direct and Newegg. Where else can I look or is there an adapter or something that I can use or does it even matter?

Relevancy 65.36%

My Main C drive might be on it's way out and I was thinking about switching with a 10000 rpm Hard drive. What would be a good HD for the price there price's are all over the place. I do not need a big hard drive I am just using it for Windows and some windows dependent programs. Any Ideas?
Mrcrowley

A:Review of the sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives?

You have very little choice, there's the Western Digital Raptors and VelociRaptors and thats it unless you go SCSI and then you need expensive controller cards to go with those.

Also for value the high capacity premium drives aren't that far off in overall performance, for example the Western Digital Black series of drives. The older 10,000RPM drives are now surpassed in performance by high performance 7,200 RPM drives.

If you want a really, really fast drive then look into Solid State Drives: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/920

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/review-of-the-sata-10000-rpm-hard-drives.913328/
Relevancy 65.36%

Ok heres my story PSU went out on my computer and took the motherboard with it comp would not power up even with new PSU I got hard SATA Motherboard not detecting drives a new motherboard exact same model as before so my windows xp would work installed it and it powered up Everything gets recognized except my hard drives I have Western Digital SE gb hard drives that had in a RAID I have them both plugged into master just like it was on the other MB I have set sata as Motherboard not detecting SATA hard drives RAID set in the BIOS I ve checked the connections which seems pretty simple so I am at a loss Am I missing something I have never replaced a motherboard before so I am just wondering Could my old PSU have taken BOTH HDs out along with the old MB Thanks for any insight you can offer Here are my over all specs ASUS P GD mb P ghz cpu Western Digital SE gb HDs Windows XP Home nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/motherboard-not-detecting-sata-hard-drives.888936/
Relevancy 65.36%

I apologize ahead of time if this won't BIOS sata hard recognize ANY drives belongs more in the Hardware thread I m not sure if this is related to my OS Vista Ultimate or not I ve had SATA drives running smoothly on my system for quite some time Out of nowhere yesterday my PC kept booting from the DVD-ROM drive so I went into the BIOS setup only to see that none of my SATA drives were even listed where they normally would be It BIOS won't recognize ANY sata hard drives simply lists the location then says quot None quot where it should list the drives manufacturer name eg ST AS I go into the setup section for each drive location and hit quot Enter quot on the quot Auto-Detect HDD quot option A BIOS won't recognize ANY sata hard drives small dialog pops-up for about - seconds saying it is BIOS won't recognize ANY sata hard drives detecting the drive but returns no values for all the drive attributes - just zeros I ve followed others advice and stripped everything out but my boot drive but the BIOS still doesn t detect it I ve booted from my Vista installation disc and troubleshot from there but even that won t recognize that I have a HDD attached to the PC And yes I ve already verified - via attaching my boot drive to another computer - that the drive will load obviously as a slave and show all the files contained on it I m suspecting I may have a faulty mobo but that s a guess at best If anyone can help me troubleshoot this issue I would greatly appreciate it I will provide further details gladly if needed Thanks in advance nbsp

Relevancy 64.93%

Hi recently a client purchased three Dell Precision workstations with Wiin professional To speed my installs I attempted to use Norton Ghost to image the first PC before I set it up with all Ghost cd hard recovery and 9.0 Norton SATA drives the software they need on it I can install Ghost and do Backup of the drive while its running OS partition too without any problem My problem is this When I boot up on the recovery CD that comes with the disk it won t recognize the SATA hard drive Has anyone come across this problem I went to their knowledge base and found nothing regarding this issue but I did find Norton Ghost 9.0 recovery cd and SATA hard drives my interim workaround solution there In the knowledge base they acknowledge a problem with Ghost and SATA drives The workaround is this Run the ghost program from the ghost cd in dos the command should be this ghost -fni This forces it to recognize the SATA drives and I was able to use ghost to do my imaging and restore those images to the other PC s I m hoping you smart folks may have seen this issue before and help me solve it Thanks in advance for your help DF nbsp

Relevancy 64.93%

I seem to have Sata hard drives going on me all the time but not the IDE drives and I was thinking is it all possible that it could be the Sata port causing this? Can an Sata port damage a hard drive?

A:SATA motherboard port killing my hard drives?

It's most likely a power supply issue, not SATA ports...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sata-motherboard-port-killing-my-hard-drives.188064/
Relevancy 64.93%

Morning All! I was told by a friend your forums might be able to help me...
In my computer I have 2 hard drives with a copy of Win XP (home) on each. I'm looking for an easier way to select which drive I want to boot with out having to go to my "bios" boot priorty to tell the computer which one I want to use??? Any help will be fully appreciated.

A:Dual booting Windows from 2 sata hard drives?

can't do that.... sorry...

and it's not a good idea to have it on two drives on the same system....

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-booting-windows-from-2-sata-hard-drives.76237/
Relevancy 64.93%

I have an 80gb 7200 ST80023AS SATA hard drive with my windows installation and loadsa progs.....

I have just bought a new Western digital raptor 10000rpm SATA hard drive and i want to use Symantec Ghost corporate edition to GHOST my old drive to my new one.

Does anyone know whether this software can do this or would i be best to create a RAID mirror from one to the other and then take out the old drive ?

My sys spec is

ASUS P4P800E deluxe
P4 3.0 prescott & Zlaman fan
1gb Corsair 2,3,3,6 matched
hard drive as above
Pioneer DVD A07
Liteon 52x24x52
ATI 9800se AIW

Help always appreciated

Relevancy 64.93%

I just ran Speccy... check out the hard drive section (I uploaded the image).

The Kingston is an SSD and the Seagate is an HDD. Both hard drives use a SATA interface, but Speccy shows one drive using IDE and the other as "unknown".

Everything on my system works fine for the most part, but should I be concerned that Speccy doesn't have my interfaces right?

A:Speccy won't recognize my hard drives as SATA. Should I be concerned?

The drives may be SATA drives, but if the controllers aren't set to SATA mode they will run in IDE mode. So to answer your question, no it isn't anything to be concerned about.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/89449-speccy-wont-recognize-my-hard-drives-sata-should-i-concerned.html
Relevancy 64.93%

I bought a SATA to IDE converter since my motherboard does not support SATA connections. It says that "The SATA-to-Ultra ATA/133 Converter Board supports the Serial ATA Generation 1 transfer rate of 1.5 Gb/s (150 MB/s) on the serial ATA side and is compatible with Ultra ATA-133 on the parallel ATA side."

My SATA drives basic specs:
160 GB
7200 RPM
8 MB CACHE

My original drives basic specs:
40 GB
7200 RPM
2 MB CACHE

It seems that my original Hard drive was faster than the hard drive that I have now. I don't know what to account that slow down towards; either the SATA to IDE controller or the hard disks size. I was wondering if someone knew the answer to this.

Relevancy 64.93%

Hello Everyone I purchased two WD Green Gig SATA hard drives I currently have one WD hard Changing IDE to from With SATA configuration a RAID drives gig IDE as my master and a WD gig as my slave I am running windows XP Home addition I want to change out the hard drives but I have never used SATA before therefore I am a little worried about doing this I read my manual under the RAID setup topic I am undicided as to RAID or RAID I Changing hard drives from IDE to SATA With a RAID configuration have backed up my C drive the gig IDE and the slave through the software provided on my external TB WD Book drive I was thinking of using this software called Spotmau that I purchased to make a copy of my C drive for they say you can completly copy everything even the operating system A tech at Best buy told me that the system will run very slow if I were to do it using the Spotmau software He said it would be better to install the new SATA hard drives set up the RAID and then place a new copy of my operating system on the drive then pull over my files from the WD external drive He said the USB can not copy the windows operation system and it would run extremely slow I know there are a few topics here in my questions but if anyone can provide some solid advice I would appriciate it Basically I need to know more on what RAID to use and how best to copy my files over to the drives once there in I have heard that using both IDE and SATA at the same time can not be done That is what I planned on doing but since it is not possible and they will not communicate with one another I had to purchase new hard drives Thanks lizardking nbsp

A:Changing hard drives from IDE to SATA With a RAID configuration

Windows XP is not capable of running SATA drives as either AHCI (single drive SATA mode) or SATA RAID without installing the proper drivers during the OS install. You would be instructed to "Press F-6", then insert the drivers with a floppy drive.

Bottom line, you would have to install the OS clean to do what you want to do, no exceptions.

You cannot change the drive mode with the OS installed in either Vista or Win 7 either, but the driver situation is a bit easier to deal with.

I don't think the RAID 1 or 0 should be an issue. RAID 1 is a mirroring (backup) strategy, and RAID 0 splits data between 2 (or more drives) for speed of access. Truth to tell, RAID 0 really isn't any good by itself, too unreliable to protect sensitive data. You really need to run RAID 0 & 1 together, This is sometimes referred to as "RAID 5".

If you can be talked out of RAID altogether, you can run your new HDDs as is, by selecting "IDE" emulation in the BIOS. Most sources state that there is very little to no speed penalty for doing it this way.

Anyway, you would need to go to the board manufacturers website for the SATA drivers. I didn't Google your board. Does it even have a RAID capable SATA controller?

Incidentally, those WD "Green" drives are the worst possible choice for RAID. As I understand it, their "energy saving" self-throttling behavior, will cause them fall out of RAID, and generate a bunch or errors and messages in doing so.

I don't recommend RAID, but if you absolutely insist, you should spring for WD's "RE" (RAID edition) HDDs.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/changing-hard-drives-from-ide-to-sata-with-a-raid-configuration.150347/
Relevancy 64.93%

I have a new build using a gigabyte 990FXA-HD3 mother board AMD FX processor and 2 WD 1tb drives in RAID-1. The bios is seeing the drives in RAID 1 configuration but every time that I try to load Window 7 it does not see the drives.
It does not give option to load additional drivers with F6 or anything else. Tried putting SATA drivers on USB drive to install but will not allow because no drive to insal them on to. Drives come up in Bios.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/clean-install-of-windows-7-sata-hard-drives-not-seen-692783.html
Relevancy 64.93%

Hi I attempted to help save my grandfather in law some money when he told me he was going to have to have windows reinstalled on his computer I told him I would do it ? Possible dead Controller MOBO/Sata out of or hard drives box? bad 2 for free having formatted and re-installed windows a number of times Here is as concise as I can Possible bad MOBO/Sata Controller ? or 2 dead hard drives out of box? be what happened - Computer is Possible bad MOBO/Sata Controller ? or 2 dead hard drives out of box? a hp p p running windows home premium No bootable recovery disk or HD sector created bootable USB using ISOs off windows website for home premium Opened up command line using Shift f when computer booted to windows install ran diskpart command - attempted to clean all then format and create partition -Clean all command took days for TB WD blue this was not stock HD as he had already had it replaced computer is only years old and not heavily used -format NTFS took again around or hours Seemed unusually long to me installed windows -after booting for the first time windows ran VERY slowly basically it was unusable -suspect HD failure created bootable USB with Western Digital's diagnostics on it booted to WD diagnostics ran quick test got a read head error -ran extended test received the quot too many errors replace drive quot code purchased a TB WD black off newegg to replace blue drive installed drive and attempted to create partition using disk part to install windows on received an I O error Was able to run clean command but could not create the primary partition Ran smart test from BIOS received read head error Drive Sata controller is set to AHCI I attempted to plug the HD into another sata port on the MOBO and had the same result on the smart test Have not tested HDs in my PC to see if I get the same errors Does this indicate issues with the MOBO Sata Controller or can anyone point me to what the problem could be Should I try a different SATA cable Any help you guys could provide would be greatly appreciated

A:Possible bad MOBO/Sata Controller ? or 2 dead hard drives out of box?

Seems like a faulty motherboard to me

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/354156-possible-bad-mobo-sata-controller-2-dead-hard-drives-out-box.html
Relevancy 64.93%

Hi!

I have a SATA hard drive, 650 gb, that stopped working a while ago. I thought it was the drive so I thought nothing about it. I purchased a Samsung 1 TB Spinpoint F3 last week and connected it in my computer over the weekend.

It is seen by the BIOS but when I log into Vista Home Basic, the drive does not show. I tried reloading Vista to no avail.

I am now convinced more than ever that I do not like Vista. However, since it's what I have and I'm not in the mood to reformat the c: drive if not necessary. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jill84

A:Windows Vista doesn't see the SATA hard drives

Hi please clarify do you have 2 drives, or is this the only drive,has it been formatted,where is the C:\ drive located

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-vista-doesnt-see-the-sata-hard-drives-512302.html
Relevancy 64.93%

The first version of winxp needed a specific driver to be added during the first steps of the installing process to make possible to install winxp on a bootable sata hard disk drive (system on a sata HDD).
I think now, and namely WinXP with SP3 does not longer need such a driver.

Someboby can confirm?

Many thanks

Patch

A:Are Sata hard drives natively managed by WinXP SP3?

The installation of SATA drivers for a Windows XP install...has nothing to do with SPs, it has to do with the motherboard.

If the motherboard has SATA controllers...and the board employs what is called "IDE emulation" as part of the BIOS package...drivers don't have to be installed. IDE emulation is a process where a SATA drive is viewed as a PATA drive for purposes of installing XP.

If a motherboard does not support IDE emulation...SATA drivers must be installed before Windows XP can recognize the drive as a device fit for install of XP.

Another way "around" this situation...create a slipstreamed XP install CD with the SATA drivers included as part of the resulting XP boot CD.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/271580/are-sata-hard-drives-natively-managed-by-winxp-sp3/
Relevancy 64.93%

Hi all A friend of mine recently had his computer stop working and he has a lot of photos on his hard drive SATA that he wants saved I took the drive in hopes of plugging it into my computer and then copying his pictures over and burning them to a disc My computer has Windows XP SP a Gigabyte nForce Sli mobo two IDE hard drives and two external USB hard drives Before starting I installed the updated mobo drives from the Gigabyte Adding IDE drives? two hard a existing a with drive PC SATA to website and then I used a cable from my original mobo box with a four pin connector on one end and the plug for the SATA drive on the other Then I used to cable labeled as SATA and then plugged it into the color coded connector Adding a SATA hard drive to a PC with two existing IDE drives? on the mobo I rebooted and Windows recognized new hardware and said Adding a SATA hard drive to a PC with two existing IDE drives? it needed to install new software drivers I assume It installed software and exited without errors but XP doesnt list the drive I also dont see it under disk management I did Adding a SATA hard drive to a PC with two existing IDE drives? go into the BIOS and everything labeled SATA is set as enabled I am not sure what else I need to be looking at in the BIOS however My mobo also has a manual that has setup information regarding SATA RAID RAID Function I ll be honest and say I dont know what the heck that is and the manual looks difficult for a user like me A couple of people told me that it should be plug and play with XP so I really wasnt expecting many problems with this I would really appreciated any help on this as to what I should be checking Thanks nbsp

A:Adding a SATA hard drive to a PC with two existing IDE drives?

If the drive is physically fine the drive should work fine plugged into the motherboard. Does the motherboard have RAID and standard SATA connectors? It may be that with the drive connected to the RAID connector that you need to do some type of configuration prior to having the drive seen in Windows.

Another option if you still can't get it to work would be to use one of the SATA > USB docking units like:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153071

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/adding-a-sata-hard-drive-to-a-pc-with-two-existing-ide-drives.153670/
Relevancy 64.93%

Hello All I have a Gigabyte GA-H M-D -B rev LGA mobo with an Intel Pentium G dual-core CPU installed F BIOS I'm using a GB OCZ Vertex SSD as my main OS drive Win -bit is installed and running fine I have a couple of old st gen SATA hard drives I want to also use with this system Both are old-school Maxtor GB drives will only use for storage When I have them plugged in the system boots up fine and recognizes the drives and assigns drive letters accordingly After a certain time the HDD busy light goes solid and Old GA-H67M-D2-B3: System Drives Hard SATA with Hangs the system becomes unresponsive It doesn't matter which old Maxtor drive I have plugged in this happens with one or both plugged in I can unplug them with the PC on and the system operates as normal again And with just my SSD plugged in this doesn't happen at all Could this be an issue with drive indexing within Win for the old drives or having the SATA interface configured as AHCI I'm using the SATA GB s ports for everything Any feedback suggestions on what I could do to fix this would be much appreciated Thanks in advance Other details GB DDR GSkill memory installed using onboard Intel HD graphics Some new information I just learned whenever I run windows update I notice that on one of the non-system Maxtor drives temporary GA-H67M-D2-B3: System Hangs with Old SATA Hard Drives install folders are being created and the update hangs Why wouldn't those be created on the system drive Just wondering if that has something to do with it Did a file path get messed up or something GA-H67M-D2-B3: System Hangs with Old SATA Hard Drives

A:GA-H67M-D2-B3: System Hangs with Old SATA Hard Drives

Have you checked for any firmware updates for those hard drives? Is there any thing on the hard drives? What file system are the hard drives using...FAT 32 or NTFS?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/268022-ga-h67m-d2-b3-system-hangs-old-sata-hard-drives.html
Relevancy 64.93%

Using windows xp home service pack 2. Mother board is a gigabyte GA-K8nsc-939 with sata connectors. Currently using the maxtor 500gb sata II drive as master with windows xp on it. Have jumpered the 120 gig western digital ide drive as a slave and using it for storage. Everything seems to be working.

Questions?
1 Does the ide drive need to be jumpered as slave?
2 For some reason I have plugged the ide drive into the end of the cable which is where you would normally put the master is this ok?
3 Will using an older and slower drive (the 120 gig ide which is 66 or 100) slow the system? From what I remember if you had 2 ide drives in a system it would run at the speed of the slower drive.

Thanks for any help. Together to bad I can't edit titles.

A:Solved: Using Sata Ide hard drives togher a few questions

Welcome to TSG!

If it's the only IDE drive in the system, it should be jumpered as Single, or Master with no slave.

The IDE and SATA controllers are separate, so using a slow IDE drive will not slow access to the SATA drive. Mixing different speed IDE drives on the same controller should also have no affect, each drive should be accessed at it's "native speed" (up to the fastest speed of the controller, of course).

Jerry

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-using-sata-ide-hard-drives-togher-a-few-questions.756509/
Relevancy 64.93%

I would like to describe a problem, the solution I arrived at, and put a question to the Forum.
I recently re-arrange my 4 500GB SATA drives to provide better cooling. The system rebooted fine but every two or three days on booting Vista would kick me back to the BIOS starting screen, or, completely freeze, requiring a reboot. The system then wouldn't boot saying it couldn't find an operating system. Turning the computor off, and a restart would fix the problem until the next time. I resolved this by rearranging my hard drives so that Vistas C drive was the Motherboards logical boot drive. An obvious solution. My question is two fold. Why would BIOS find the Boot Drive sometimes and not others (The disks are not faulty), I perhaps don't fully understand how SATA operates, and, Is this the solution or a fix that masks another problem. I have had no further problems to date.

A:Sata Hard Drives and Vista Operating System

Hi Norm,

When you rearranged your drives, did you disconnect the cables from them whilst you were doing so? It is possible that you didn't connect the drives back to their original port on the motherboard when you wired them back up. Check this, and also check that all cables are securely fitted.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/183803-sata-hard-drives-vista-operating-system.html
Relevancy 64.93%

I ve got all SATA in a slightly old Abit AI computer When adding the Lite-On iHAS - DVD - RW Sata w lightscribe my only boot devices that are recognized are the CD and the floppy To get unstuck I have to unplug the data cable to the new DVD drive and boot the Vista Home Premium bit DVD and repair the system so it can find the Vista New hard SATA booting. drives stop makes dvd boot drive and activate it again I don t think my other disk with XP will boot since I did the repair but one thing at a time How can I get the DVD to work it does boot AND the hard drives to boot I tried different setting in the CMOS and switched the cables I m using a Sil a Esata PCI card so I ve got one Esata in back and two Sata connectors ion the mobo and sata on the card edge of the Sil Sorry New SATA dvd makes hard drives stop booting. if this is confusing I m not going to plug in the data cable with the system booted in to Vista but how can I install drivers none should be necessary if the system can t see my OS with the data cable plugged in No wonder the DVD drive was only paj nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/new-sata-dvd-makes-hard-drives-stop-booting.937701/
Relevancy 64.07%

I have two new Sata hard drives that I would like to know how to format
and partition for use in the above Termtake Blac X Duet Sata & USB
Docking Station:
1)Seagate Sata/300 Barracuda “3.5” Internal Hard Drive

2)Hitachi Sata 2TB Internal Hard Drive

I do not have available to me the written instructions for performing the
above tasks.

I have a limited fund of tech knowledge, however, I am capable of following
step-by-step, ‘recipe-like’ instructions in performing most asks of this nature.

I would be most grateful for any help that you might be able to provide me to
perform the formatting and portioning tasks, or some links that you might provide
me which presented appropriate clarity and detailed instructions to successfully
address these issues.

cordially
geoheid

Some computer specs:

Custom built computer
Windows XP Pro – Service Pack 3 – Build 2600
240 gigahertz Intel Core 2 duo
2048 Megabytes installed memory
P5K Deluxe motherboard – Wifi-AP edition
320GB Unused space

A:How to format and partition two new sata hard drives for use in a docking station

Place the disks in the dock and use disk management to format/partition.
Rt-click My Computer/Manage/Disk Management.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-format-and-partition-two-new-sata-hard-drives-for-use-in-a-docking-station.965114/
Relevancy 64.07%

I tried updating my Windows 7 Pro system to windows 10 pro. The update went Ok but I noticed that my Raid 0 configuration is now considered an SSD and Windows won't let me defrag my drives. I found a comment online that running Windat formal will clear up the issue, but it didn't work for me. I have currently rolled back to Windows 7 so I don't hit the 30 day rollback option.

Has anyone else run into this problem and have found a solution?

Thanks, Mrbill57

A:Windows 10 thinks my 2 Raid 0 SATA hard drives are SST, can't defrag

A little more rigorous variant of that would have been "winsat formal -restart clean". Don't know if it's worth re-upgrading and trying again, however.

Afraid I don't know at this point if that's the solution you're asking for.

http://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/37803-windows-10-thinks-my-2-raid-0-sata-hard-drives-sst-cant-defrag.html
Relevancy 64.07%

There was a previous thread on this, but none which I found pertaining to Windows 7.

Can anybody point me in the right direction to do this?

Possibly without having to use the Win7 installation CD...

A:Changing hard drives from IDE to SATA With a RAID configuration in Windows 7

Can you supply us with the full scenario please?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/changing-hard-drives-from-ide-to-sata-with-a-raid-configuration-in-windows-7.172531/
Relevancy 64.07%

I recently upgraded my PC to Windows 7 Ultimate. I did a fresh install on a brand new WD 500gb IDE hard drive. I tested the system and everything was running great. I went to plug in my other hard drives. I did the install with only the new drive attached. When I plug in the two additional IDE hard drives, windows recognized them right away and everything ran as it should. However, when I plug in either sata drive drive (one at a time or both). I get a blue screen or death and windows fails to load. I have the chipset drivers for my mother board installed (Gigabyte GA-KU8-939). My BIOS sees the drives. What could be causing them to prevent windows from loading?

Relevancy 64.07%

can anyone tell me if an asrock k8vm800 supports sata hard drives?

A:asrock k8vm800 motherboard compatible with sata hard drives?

yes it does. it has two SATA150 headers

but I thought you are going to upgrade that board.. have you changed your mind?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/asrock-k8vm800-motherboard-compatible-with-sata-hard-drives.53915/
Relevancy 64.07%

I am running Windows 7 and have 4 SATA hard drives. (One of which is partitioned and has the system software installed on one of the partitions.) My Computer will show all 4 hard drives for about 2-3 weeks, and suddenly one day on startup it will show only 3, or even 2 sometimes. I can swap memory sticks in different slots, and, once again, it will show all hard drives for 2-3 weeks. Why do I keep having to swap memory and is there an app or other solution to this problem, so I don't have to keep doing this over and over?

A:Memory swap required for My Computer to see all SATA hard drives

Hello and welcome rodo first up

SYTEM SPECS ADD IN

Can we have some systemspecs please as what you have posted gives us not that much (or anythingat all with some folks) to work with and given there are so many manufacturersof components and configurations that do influence what goes on within anygiven machine and OS.
System Info - See YourSystem Specs

Now for starters the amount of RAM you have is in my view way too little you should be running a minimum of 4GB preferably 6- 8GB if your machine will support that and that is why we need those specs .
For an example imagine the CPU is the bucket holding a known amount of water (data) and you pour that water into the second bucket (RAM) and you do that through a funnel with a 1 inch outlet then it will take the RAM bucket a long time to fill and that water will then flow very slowly onward to whatever you are trying to do from the RAM bucket.
Now if you do the same thing and you make the the RAM bucket larger the CPU bucket has more channels (more funnel outlets) for the CPU can use to transfer the water (data) to the RAM bucket (through more funnels) - so your RAM bucket of data will be ready much faster than it sounds like it is now. Then that data is also available faster to the drives etc etc

Lecture over I would suggest you run these too in any case in safe mode

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/433-disk-check.html< if necessary include the /f and /r in the command line as per Option2 >in safe mode if need be

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/379288-memory-swap-required-my-computer-see-all-sata-hard-drives.html
Relevancy 62.78%

I did it before on a P5WD2-PREMIUM---see this thread:

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...=1&model=P5WD2+Premium&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

but there is no SATA controller listed in the Device Manager under the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller to update--there was one listed in the P5WD2 I successfully converted.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-do-i-enable-ahci-on-sata-hard-drives-after-winxp-is-installed-on-asus-a8r32-mvp.499167/
Relevancy 62.78%

Hi,

I recently aquired a new molex-sata adapter for adding a second HDD to my computer, but when I plugged it in and turned the PC on, it won't power up. Without either hard drive plugged into the power supply, the PC will start but obviously go no further, but with either hard drive plugged in the computer simply won't start.

I've tried with three molex-sata adapters now and none of them will make it work, so I was wondering if it is likely that the new adapter has ruined my hard drive? If not then any tips for fixing it?

Thanks very much

Relevancy 61.92%

I finally loaded my window xp media center on my brand new Seagate gb SATA g s transfer rate hard drive series and the next day the computer wont turn on at all dead My thoughts were first the power supply went bad or bad power cable to power supply but after checking all connections and possible options i found out that it was hard drive related I thought it was my hard drive at first because only when the power cable was connected was when the computer wouldnt power up at all and it would shut off if i tried to connect it while computer was running The hard drive also smelled shorting? SATA hard drive cable power like an electrical fire so i SATA hard drive power cable shorting? thought i fried the mother board on the hard drive or it froze on me I sent it back in the Seagate warranty and they gave me a factory repaired unit I used a temporary hard drive WD gb IDE not SATA for the time being with windows xp proffesional on it and worked completely fine no problems at all As soon as i got the new hard drive i found out that the new hard drive didnt fix the problem i had before and in fact it got worse The computer will run but somewhere where the red cable connector meets the hard drive power connector is where it starts smoking and burning up So im thinking it could be the power cable itself because i was using the same SATA power cable as before but im not totally sure yet any suggestions nbsp

A:SATA hard drive power cable shorting?

You can have a defective connector. As a test, use a molex>sata power adapter to connect the sata drive to a standard molex connector ie the same one you used for the ide drive.

Next have you given the sata connector a VERY close inspection with a bright light?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sata-hard-drive-power-cable-shorting.882694/
Relevancy 61.92%

my used hard drive is the IDE power cord interface ( 4-pin). Now the hard drive had bad, and I want to buy a sata power interface. My motherboard has sata interface, but I don't know how many pin the sata hard drive interface to connect the power supply interface. Could I use my old power supply?

A:Sata hard drive power line interface

Hi Rae and welcome to Windows 7 Forums

You can get adapters that will allow you to connect drives with the newer SATA power interface with PSUs that only provide the older Molex connectors. Have a look here:
Amazon.com: molex sata adapter

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/65873-sata-hard-drive-power-line-interface.html
Relevancy 61.92%

i am in the process of ordering parts to build my 1st computer but i am not sure about the sata hard drive power connection. do i need a special power supply to run the sata drive as the case i am ordering has a 400 watt supply in it or is there an adapter that i can purchase to adapt the supply i have to power the sata drive? any info will be a great help. thanks in advance.

Relevancy 61.49%

I've seen and used it before so I know it's there.
There is a windows setup for when to hibernate, shut off the screen, and spin down the drives. It does more but I can't recall everything.
If you know what I'm talking about, where is it?

I have one 2TB drive that nothing's on it but it runs like it's writing or reading something. When I look, nothing.

A:Power settings for hard drives

Should be under Control Panel > Power Options > Edit Plan Settings > Advanced Power Settings

The only hard drive power option is to spin the hard drive down after X minutes of no use, which can cause a rather irritating delay when you go to access it since it has to spin back up, I generally set it to Never (which is 0).

Chances are your computer sees something on the disk that you don't, or the drive is doing some form of routine maintenance task, newer drives like WD Greens and disks with Intelipower will change disk spin speed and park/unpark the heads depending on what's occurring in the OS.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/power-settings-hard-drives-276733/
Relevancy 61.49%

Does anyone know of a way to manually power on/off up to six hard drives (sata) by some sort of switch setup that might be available? I know I could rig something with switches and soldering of wires, etc, but am hoping something might be available to facilitate this--like some of hard drive controller panel, but haven't found anything.

Do they make power supplies that can enable triggering on/off separate hard drives (drives used for storage)?

I know that a swap drive tray/cradle thing would do the trick--one that actually powers off the drive with a turn of a key, but would prefer the above-mentioned method.

A:Want to power up hard drives separately

hum; interesting -- but why?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/want-to-power-up-hard-drives-separately.119963/
Relevancy 61.06%

Hi, I'm looking for a reliable power cable for a SATA hard drive, which one(s) would you recommend?

Relevancy 61.06%

So long story short my computer got unplugged while in the middle of playing some after loss of Hard screwy are power. drives Counterstrike and the hard drives have all been really screwy since then My x tb drives my ssd is fine i think This was about weeks ago but due to IRL problems and i am only Hard drives are screwy after loss of power. able to post about it now So when i plugged my computer back in the computer wouldn't boot I would get the shiny windows logo doing its thing then it would turn into an illuminated black screen The monitor didn't turn off but everything was black and after waiting quite Hard drives are screwy after loss of power. a while and restarting the PC a few more times it still wouldn't boot A few times i got errors that i distinctly remember relating to the HDD but i forget what they said So i decided to disconnect the hard drives and then the SSD booted up fine all by itself I also tried connecting the hard drives one at a time for of them i was still getting the black screen but when i connected the rd it DID boot but only after waiting minutes When it did boot the computer was painstakingly slow and i couldn't even access let alone see the hard drive in quot My Computer quot Tldr my hard drives are screwy after being unscrewy I have an external HDD mount that i have been using to access the drives and they seem to work fine when plugged into that I am wondering if anybody would have insight on why this would be happening I was planning on dumping all my files onto my NAS and reformatting the drives to see if it helped but it would take way too much time and if it was unnecessary and failed to fix it it would suck EDIT I decided to download some harddrive software and it is warning me for reallocated sectors I did a bit of googling but didn't really understand it SCREENSHOT http i gyazo com d b e ec f c b a d fa png

A:Hard drives are screwy after loss of power.

When sectors on a hard disk turn bad, those sectors are marked so they are not used anymore and they are reallocated to good ones that are placed on a dedicated portion of hard disk.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/371595-hard-drives-screwy-after-loss-power.html
Relevancy 61.06%

I want to set my power options to never turn off my SSD BUT I have 3 other 640GB mechanical drives. SSDs are fine set to "never" but the mechanical drives are better set to 20-30 minutes of no use. I cannot find anywhere to choose what you want each drive to do. Anybody know of an easy way to do this. I can think of some hard ways, but won't do it unless I am missing something easy...

Thanks, here is where I think the option should be but nope....

A:Turn off power to hard drives (and SSDs)

hddscan claims to be able to do this for individual drives (i think), but i've not tried it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/125667-turn-off-power-hard-drives-ssds.html
Relevancy 61.06%

So, I pieced together a baseline kit for my mother out of some parts from work and some parts left over after i upgraded my system. she started having some problems, so i began by upgrading the cpu from a pII whatever to a pIII 733. (she's only emailing, surfing the web)

anyway, there were some problems on boot-up so i figured one of the drives didn't like the new configuration, and like the ***** I am, I started unplugging them and plugging them back in while the system was still on.

now it's surged with no power.

so, what did i surge? was it the motherboard, powersupply, or do i just have to go piece by piece and try to figure it out?

- Please use proper thread titles
Didou

A:System won't power on after playing with Hard Drives (I'm an *****. help!)

:wave: Hello & Welcome to TechSpot :wave:

If you hotswapped disks, then I'm afraid you'll have to take it piece by piece...

If you get any fans spinning (or any sound out of it) chances are the PSU survived...
Remove the power cable and make sure everything is connected as it should (reseat cables & memory) and power it on. If you're very lucky, it was only a cable or two out of place.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/system-wont-power-on-after-playing-with-hard-drives-im-an-help.16340/
Relevancy 61.06%

ok i hope i'm just being paranoid on this but i was backing up my data from a 500 gb buffalo ex hd to a 1 tb one when there was a power outage. i was currently transferring files when it happened and windows told me that the files i was moving were lost. i don't care so much for those particular files themselves and my laptop was fine (i think) because the battery kicked in, but all the other stuff that were in the two hard drives, can they be corrupted too? also are my hard drives still ok? healthy?

i had everything hooked up to a 4k joules surge protector.

what can i do to protect my hds from things like this in the future?

thanks.

Relevancy 61.06%

Hi folks I ve lost the hard drive in PCs in the office in the past months All of them gave similar messages indicating - issues? power Losing drives hard physical damage to the hard drive itself After talking with a Losing hard drives - power issues? number of techie friends they have all suggested that I may have a problem in our office with the power spikes surges dropouts etc I trust their opinions and knowledge I m just curious to hear from others Losing hard drives - power issues? about the possible connections between power and hard drive failure Can we test our power and see what s going on If we are getting a lot of spikes and dropouts is it fair to say with much degree of certainty that this is the cause of our problems If so we can t go putting a full UPS system on every PC in the office but I m sure we also want more than a Wal-Mart power strip I ve seen some power strips at Best Buy for around which claim to filter noise and also regulate the voltage - is this what we need Thanks in advance Bootie nbsp

Relevancy 60.63%

Hi the computer I m currently using is probably years old so of course does not support SATA devices The setup is as follows MASTER GB IDE Seagate full SLAVE GB IDE Seagate full or IDE DVD-Writer My plan is to copy the contents of both GB and GB to a new SATA GB so that my setup will be like this MASTER GB IDE Seagate GB partition for Windows files SLAVE GB IDE Seagate or IDE DVD-Writer Then I ll buy Drive, Computer, Hard Computer Old Hard IDE Then Use Drives, New SATA a new computer in the future I just need space right now but can t be bothered burning DVDs My backing up of files onto SATA will be one-time use only Question From what I understand I ll need an IDE-to-SATA adaptor or PCI card to be able IDE Hard Drives, Old Computer, Use SATA Hard Drive, Then New Computer to use my SATA hard drive on my non-SATA motherboard Adaptor You plug one end of the plug into an IDE slot on the motherboard and the other end to the SATA hard drive Easy as that PCI Card Works similar to above just put it into PCI slot Question I m going to get a new AMD dual core CPU decent ASUS motherboard How feasible is it to use my GB GB Windows partition IDE Seagate HDD as the master boot drive and the GB SATA Seagate HDD as the quot slave quot Thanks nbsp

A:IDE Hard Drives, Old Computer, Use SATA Hard Drive, Then New Computer

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ide-hard-drives-old-computer-use-sata-hard-drive-then-new-computer.503947/
Relevancy 60.63%

Hi there im wondering if there is anything wrong with running three hard rives Power data / SATA Molex hard drive cable question and off the same power source Basically coming form my power supply antec watt im looking to split a single molex into three SATA power cables for the SATA / Molex Power and data cable hard drive question three hard drives b c i have the molex to sata power splitter to do so This way the case can stay a bit neater But am not sure of the reprcussions of doing so if any I can see in the case of a power surge that there might be an issue but i think there would be an issue either way if there was a power surge But other than that i think i should all right i think But id rather ask first and she what ya all say before i go killing three drives with one stone Also with the SATA II data cables that have the metal latch for keeping from coming dislodged can those work on drives that are only sata I Well im sure they would work but would the latch actually make the data cable from coming off easier if the drive isnt meant for it Any suggestions is greatly appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 60.2%

My desktop has SSD and HDDs running Windows off the SSD I want to Turning to off Reduce Drives Hard Noise/Power turn the hard drives off when I'm not using them in order to reduce noise from the PC and power consumption it does matter to me because I often run my PC off a UPS What are my best options for doing that Currently I have set my Windows power options to turn off hard drives after a set time but with Turning off Hard Drives to Reduce Noise/Power this approach the hard drives turn off and on too many times which I imagine would not be good for the drives Also with the drives off if I put my PC to sleep ALL hard drives must come on before the pc goes to standby which again would cause wear Turning off Hard Drives to Reduce Noise/Power My question is what is the best way to go about it And is there any way to prevent unnecessary access to the drives by Windows so that they dont randomly keep turning on like in Linux the drives can be unmounted easily preventing rogue access to them

A:Turning off Hard Drives to Reduce Noise/Power

You can use a manual option like this, but make sure to turn off write caching on the drives connected to it to minimize the possibility of data loss when switching off. I would recommend this for drives that you only read from and write to only occasionally:

SISUN PW4101 3.5-Newegg.com

Turning off write caching may also help with the computer cycling the hard drives when you don't want it to. You turn off write caching by clearing the check box to enable write caching on the drive properties window from device manager for the hard drive:

http://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/68700-turning-off-hard-drives-reduce-noise-power.html
Relevancy 60.2%

First of all I am sorry of this has been answered somewhere but I haven't been able to find it and I really need a solution My desktop does not detect and external hard drive that do not come with their own power supply I have many externals that also plug into the wall and they are working fine but whenever it is an external without a plug i e the portable ones they are never found They do not show up in Computer Management so it is not because I did not assign a letter to the drive Supply their Drives without own Hard detected. External are not Power I have tried various things but I don't know what I should be testing for or looking for These externals all work on other laptops and other desktops perfectly fine so it is not the externals When they are plugged into my desktop they light up normally like they should but the desktop External Hard Drives without their own Power Supply are not detected. never detects them I have tried these externals with the different USB cable I have on hand but nothing seems to work It doesn't matter which USB port I plug the device in it still gives me no response I am running a i on a ASUS P P D Pro If anyone has any information or a ideas please let me know Thanks

A:External Hard Drives without their own Power Supply are not detected.

This is a rather common, but sporadic, problem. The issue, I believe, is that the USB ports on the problem PC are not putting out the specified power to run the drive. This is a problem typically seen in laptops.

IIRC, USB 2.0 specifications require the supply of 2.5 watts of power over a maximum of 5 meters at 5 volts (0.5 Amps). If you are ambitious you could test for the correct specs with a good multimeter.

The other possibility is that the problem external drive is requiring more power than is supplied by the USB specifications. This is not likely in your case because the drive works on other PCs.

One work-around, in either case, would be to used a powered USB port for that PC.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/207077-external-hard-drives-without-their-own-power-supply-not-detected.html
Relevancy 58.91%

Hi,

I am looking for advice on whether to keep W7 default "Balanced" power scheme setting of turning HDDs off after 20 minutes, or not. I've read many posts over ther years, some saying that using this feature adds additional HDD failure risk, while others claim the exact opposite by saying that stopping the HDD cools it down and prolongs its lifespan. I've never seen conclusive data and I'm confused about it. I find it annoying to wait for the HDD to start up, but if that's saving from wear it's worth it. On the other hand, if it's both annoying and risky, we should know about it. Can someone shed some light here?

Cheers,
JR

Relevancy 58.05%

Hey guys i have 2 sata hard drives and i need to know how to duel boot windows xp home with windows server 2003?

A:Solved: Dule boot windows 2003 server with windows xp home on 2 SATA hard drives?????

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-dule-boot-windows-2003-server-with-windows-xp-home-on-2-sata-hard-drives.732903/
Relevancy 57.19%

Hi we have a Supermicro server with an Intel C series controller and we would like to use some of the ports and their disks as removable devices to allow to copy media from one server to another I mean - The controller has ports with disk on each disks in total - The first ports will remain the same not removable OS in Raid Media in Raid - The other ports - will be used with SATA SSD drives and we need to remove them via Eject hardware as an attached hard drive and then being able to attach them to the backup server to read the media So far as I know there's a DWORD I may need to add in the registry but a little help would be more than welcome to solve this This is the opposite way to not allow the HDD to be ejected HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SYSTEM CurrentControlSet services asahci Controller Channel quot TreatAsInternalPort quot dword HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SYSTEM CurrentControlSet services asahci Controller Channel quot TreatAsInternalPort quot dword Thanks in advance

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/4631f581-6251-4db6-9bc3-7068dce01516/how-to-have-sata-drives-connected-to-an-intel-raid-controller-as-removable-drives?forum=w7itproinstall
Relevancy 56.33%

On my Windoiws 7 Ultimate desktop PC, all my SATA hard drives are show up as removable from day 1. This is not a big problem but an anonyance. When I click "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media", all my fixed drives are listed along with the USB drive. Anyway to change the drive type of my internal drives to the proper type?
Thanks.

A:Internal SATA drives are treated as removable drives

mine does the same thing. each of my partitions show up.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/117302-internal-sata-drives-treated-removable-drives.html
Relevancy 56.33%

I have a pc that has 2 400g hard drives in raid 0. The motherboard is bad and needs to be replaced. The drives in raid 0 are sata drives; I want to mirror the drives onto 2 400g pata drives before replacing the mobo so in case of disaster I would still have all the info. What would be the best way for me to do this? I have another machine running that has raid capability but is not using it. It has 4 sata connections and 2 ide drive connections, currently only using the 2 ide connections and no raid. I have Partition Magic 8 and Paragon Hard Disk Manager 8 Pro. Is it possible for me to use my current up and running system, and one of the 2 software programs to mirror these drives?

A:Can I copy sata raid 0 drives to pata drives?

MOBO is bad and you still want to recover info which might get corrupted in the transfer process.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-i-copy-sata-raid-0-drives-to-pata-drives.71850/
Relevancy 55.47%

So i found an old sata hardrive that was stored for about 2 years.
While the computer was on, i tried to plugged the Hardrive in the SATA power connector cable, as soon as i plugged it in the power connector there was smoke coming from the connection and my computer immediately shutdown.

Can someone explain what happened? I though you could connect devices while the computer was on without any issues?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/395227-connect-sata-power-cable-sata-hardrive-burn.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi

very bizarre :
- 3 of my 6 drives SATA connected to internal SATA connectors on board ( Z87 Deluxe)
- are shown in explorer "my computer" as hard disks ( while correctly DVD and USB are in removable drives list)
- however these 3 drives appear in the list of removable drives Under the W7 utility "safely remove" !

That could lead to confusion when removing removable drives !

Any explanation ? Can I correct this ?

I think that it is possible that these drives have been formatted and partitioned whiel on a SATA-to USB dock ( when PC was Under repair). Have tried to delete all partitions on one of those drives, and recreate partitions Under W7 with Acronis Disk Director, but no change.
Or should I remove them from Computer Management ?

TIA for help please !

Regards

A:SATA drives : internal appear as External drives !

It is not bizarre but a result of drives being connected to ports that allow hot swapping (set to AHCI)

One possibility is to install the Intel AHCI drivers instead of the stock drivers that are part of the Windows 7 DVD.

Another is this:

FIX: AHCI/SATA drives showing in "Safely Remove Hardware"

This works for the Intel controller.

If you are connected to another controller, go to the Device manager and right click on that controller and select properties.

Then under the Policies tab, you should be able to uncheck the box that allows safe removal.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/323882-sata-drives-internal-appear-external-drives.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Recently I formatted all the hard drives on my Gateway MX6214 Notebook computer.

When I attempt to install Windows XP it says the Setup cannot continue because no hard drives were found.

Obviously, the hard drives are in working condition because I also checked with some bootable diagnostic tools and the hard drives are check. But now it seems the "internal?" drivers on the hard drives have also been deleted during the format, so WINXP cannot recognize during installation. Same goes for installation of the OS Ubuntu =/

I do not have the original diagnostic cd that came with the notebook.

Are there any solutions anyone can point me towards?

A:Formatted Hard Drives, Trying to install Windows XP but no recognition of hard drives

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/formatted-hard-drives-trying-to-install-windows-xp-but-no-recognition-of-hard-drives.727410/
Relevancy 54.18%

:giddy: It is an quantum Atlas tm II 3.5 Series. It's not set up the way I'm used to there is no power plug at all. The connector looks like something a printer would have? Is there some kind of converter?

A:I have these hard drives and do not recogize the connectors "NO POWER PLUG?"

10:1 they are SCSI drives. No use to you unless you have a SCSI adapter in your PC.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-have-these-hard-drives-and-do-not-recogize-the-connectors-no-power-plug.18021/
Relevancy 53.75%

i am going home for winter break and i wanted to take over some videos i had on my hard drive, but the problem is that it is an internal hard drive, and i want to be able to transfer the data to a laptop. Is there a way that you can turn an internal hard drive into an external hard drive? Or is there a piece of hardware that will alow me to do this?

Relevancy 53.75%

i have 2 HD's laying around. 1 2.1 GB and 1 10.0 GB, the 2.1 has Win. 95 on it, and the 10.0 has Win. 98SE on it. if i get a computer without a HD, and it need 1, can i put on of the HD's in it, and it will work? or....

A:Solved: hard drives with OS, wanting to put in computer wit no hard drives

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-hard-drives-with-os-wanting-to-put-in-computer-wit-no-hard-drives.443986/
Relevancy 52.89%

I want to transfer data from my hard drive in my laptop (Lenovo Y480) to a hard drive in my desktop. the cables for the sata adapter do not fit the hard drive from the laptop. Is there a different form for a 2.5 hard drive and a 3.5 hard drive?

A:sata to usb adapter cable dosen't fit sata hard drive in laptop?

Does the drive have an adapter need to remove to expose the SATA conenctors? I don;t see anything about the Y480 not having a standard SATA drive and laptop and desktop SATA connectors are the same.

Maybe post pictures of both the drive and your SATA cables.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sata-to-usb-adapter-cable-dosent-fit-sata-hard-drive-in-laptop.1136877/
Relevancy 52.89%

I Can't Install a sata hard disk with a PCI sata controller card.?
My mb is MSI KT4V with AMD athlon 1800.My bios is AMI.
There is no option in my mb for a sata hard disk so i brought the sata pci cotroller card.
In post it shows the raid in my pci slot but cant detect my hard disk. It is a Segate 7200 rpm 160 gb hard disk.My sata pci controller card come with a driver cd but i cant install its driver in dos mode. and i think its for the windows version.
How can i install the single sata drive in my comp.
please help me...

A:Can't Install Sata Hard disk With PCI SATA controller card

Probably some fakeraid BS..
You have to enter the RAID BIOS and configure the drive as a RAID0 array or something similar. If it doesn't detect the drive in the RAID BIOS either, look over all your cables. Make sure you have power to the hard drive and suchlike.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-install-sata-hard-disk-with-pci-sata-controller-card.81239/
Relevancy 52.46%

The time has come for me to wipe the hard drive and re-install Windows following a recent to SATA Disk 3 Drive Hard Upgrading from SATA disastrous download that's effectively knocked out my Internet Explorer and Upgrading Hard Disk from SATA to SATA 3 Drive rendered Internet browsing difficult My system has since become unstable and progressively slow and unfortunately for some reason I am unable to Restore to any previous installation As I have loads of files I want to access I've decided get a new Hard Disk and run the original H drive if possible from a SATA drive Docking Station So essentially I would like to know if my Dell DXC will run and support a new Seagate Tb SATA rpm Barracuda My BIOS is Ver dated I have opened the CPU to see Upgrading Hard Disk from SATA to SATA 3 Drive that the current drive connectors appear similar to those Upgrading Hard Disk from SATA to SATA 3 Drive on the SATA Docking Station and think my old drive will fit it However it's now occurred to me that its possible the newSATA drive may not be compatible with my BIOS or Motherboard Any help or comments please Incidentally I have most of my most useful files backed up on an external drive so all hopefully is not lost

A:Upgrading Hard Disk from SATA to SATA 3 Drive

You need a SATA3 port to connect a SATA3 HDD to be fully compatible.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/318314-upgrading-hard-disk-sata-sata-3-drive.html
Relevancy 50.74%

Computer: Dell Dimension 5100. 6 years old.
Current hard drive: SATA 250GB (think it's SATA 1). Dell web site says its ATA-133

Looking to: Replace the hard drive due to faults

Question: Can I fit a SATA 3 hard drive in this computer? Would this just work at SATA 1 speeds because of the old mainboard? Most of the hard drives listed for sale are now SATA 3.

Thanks for any replies.