Windows Support Forum

I can't connect to wifi but connect with an Ethernet cable works, even when it isn't plugged in

Q: I can't connect to wifi but connect with an Ethernet cable works, even when it isn't plugged in

I'm a new Plusnet customer and I cannot connect to the internet using wifi I just get a page saying the broadband is down. So I tried using an ethernet cable and after manually setting this up I can use the internet. I accidentally disconnected the cable yesterday but the internet didn't fault, it's now working wirelessly. I can connect to the wifi using my mobile and iPad but I cannot connect to the internet. A new router has been sent and the problem still persists, a bt engineer has also visited but cannot find a solution.

Can anybody please help me?

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: I can't connect to wifi but connect with an Ethernet cable works, even when it isn't plugged in

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: I can't connect to wifi but connect with an Ethernet cable works, even when it isn't plugged in

It gets confusing as to which device is being used so as a guideline
disable one or the other (wifi vs wired) and don't allow both to be active at the same time. Technically, which ever device gets an IP address from your router will become the gateway to your ISP - - ignoring the connectivity of the second device to access your router.

With a laptop, we just toggle the keyboard to enable/disable wifi and the wired is easy - - just pull the cable out.

create a desktop shortcut to \windows\system32\devmgmt.msc
to control the devices (needs admin access)
expand [+] network adapters and you'll see the list
mine are

Dell Wireless 1502 ....
Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
Just right-click->disable and you can always right-click->enable

The png posted shows both are enabled and the wired has the gateway.
If the cable is disconnected, this is quite impossible.

SO, first control which device is to be used and then make the connection.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-cant-connect-to-wifi-but-connect-with-an-ethernet-cable-works-even-when-it-isnt-plugged-in.204891/
Relevancy 82.77%

My problem started the day of the big cyber attack on the internet. Coincidence?

I am having the same problem as this poster

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/629989/cant-connect-to-the-internet-via-wifi-but-can-with-cable/

I've tried everything mentioned in that thread to no avail.

I have Windows 7 - 64 bit.
Vaio vgn-z610y which is 7 yr old.

Went to Device manager.. First deleted, then I updated the  driver for Intel Wifi 5100 AGN.. Then I went to the Sony site and found another driver update.

I don't see a place in Bios.to enable wireless.

The Windows Mobility utility didn't fix the problem.

I don't know what else to try..The Netgear WNR1000 v4 router is new and wifi works on my tablet..

I've removed the battery from the laptop.

I don't have a restore point so maybe I have a virus? I've run Malwarebytes, , Awdcleaner, Avast, Tdsskiller,

Please HELP!

Thanks!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/630521/cant-connect-to-wifi-but-can-use-ethernet-cable/
Relevancy 82.15%

i used to be able to access the internet directly via a direct ethernet connection but now my only option appears to be the wireless network connection i don't recall when exactly the local area connection connect works via but not ethernet connection cable can wireless disappeared but the wireless is too slow amp unreliable i really would appreciate any assistance figuring out how to connect to the internet directly again i'm running windows xp home edition version wireless connection works but can not connect via ethernet cable with service pack on a emachine desktop i have a netgear wireless pci adapter for wireless connection works but can not connect via ethernet cable the wireless i tested the cable on another pc so i know the cable amp the ethernet connection work when i plug teh cable into my pc shouldn't a local area connection option appear on my network connections i believe i used to wireless connection works but can not connect via ethernet cable be able to choose between wireless amp local are connection but not all i get is wireless network connection i ran ipconfig all this i what i got C Documents and Settings Owner gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name DA -Bloomfield Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Unknown IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List myhome westell com Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix myhome westell com Description NETGEAR WG g Wireless PCI A dapter Physical Address - - B- - C- Dhcp Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IP Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway DHCP Server DNS Servers Lease Obtained Wednesday October AM Lease Expires Thursday October A M any help would be appreciated dB

A:wireless connection works but can not connect via ethernet cable

I have no idea about your level of knowledge but I thought I'd let you know what I would do to investigate the problem....

Right click My Network places from the desktop or go to Start, All Programs, Accessories, Communications, Network Connections.

Here you should see you LAN and Wireless Connections. Make sure the LAN connection is not disabled. Right click, properties, select Internet Protocol in the box and set everything to automatic; obtain IP and DNS automatically, assuming you have a DHCP server on the network. The router perhaps? If not then manually enter the IP, subnet mask (probably 255.255.255.0) and the gateway ip. Set the Primary DNS address to the same as the gateway again, assuming the router is configured to get it's DNS address from your ISP. Click Advanced and set Enable NetBIOS over TCIP in the WINS tab.

Also check in Device Manager that your Network Card (NIC) is available, enabled and working.

Once the ethernet cable is attached, you should at least be able to ipconfig and see the LAN connection. If you can try to ping the router:
ping 192.168.1.1
You should get 4 replies if all is well.
Then try to ping an external address:
ping www.google.co.uk
again, you should 4 replies.

I know this is fairly detailed help but that would be a good start to investigate your issue.

Good luck...

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/wireless-connection-works-but-can-not-connect-via-ethernet-cable-422128.html
Relevancy 81.84%

So here I am sitting on my desktop Vista machine Acer Aspire M model being able to connect to my D-Link wifi router by ONLY using a Belkin wifi dongle I Connect dongle Only cable Can using ethernet WiFi & not via cannot get my machine to connect with an ethernet cable I have tried several different cable but still no joy When I go Can Only Connect using WiFi dongle & not via ethernet cable to 'Network amp Sharing' centre in Vista I can see the Belkin Wifi connection which is obviously how I am being able to connect and type this but the wired connection just constantly says 'Unidentified' - Local Access Only Just to add some more info - I also went to the Command Prompt and typed in ipconfig renew and Can Only Connect using WiFi dongle & not via ethernet cable after a few seconds got the follwing reply 'An error occurred while renewing interface Wired Connection unable to contact your DHCP server Request timed out An error occured while releasing interface Loopback Pseudo-Interface The system cannot find the file specified Ethernet adaptor Wired Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Link Local IPv Address f e ec b bd e Autoconfiguration IPv Address Subnet Mask Default gateway fe ea c cff e Can anyone help me out here

A:Can Only Connect using WiFi dongle & not via ethernet cable

....anybody?!?! Over 100 views and nobody has any idea on a possible fix?!

I also noticed a post further down which has had over 10,000 views and only 7 reponses...not holding out much hope....!!!

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/298275-can-only-connect-using-wifi-dongle-not-via-ethernet-cable.html
Relevancy 80.91%

I recently used a program Autoruns,, and deleted some startup things I shouldn't have.. Since then I cant connect to internet, the troubleshooter for wireless adapter says the Windows wireless service is not running on this computer (WLAN Autoconfig service) and fails to start the service.
I notice on windows task manager there are only about 13 Processes running and there are usually about 20, and on Services there are about 40 running and about 100 or more stopped services. Thanks for the help

Also on startup now I have a pop up on bottom saying, Failed to connect to a windows service. Windows could not connect to the System Event Notification Service service. This problem prevents standard users from logging on to the system. As an administrative user, you can review the System Event Log for details about why the service didn't respond. And the startup and logon time is really long now

A:Windows 7 can't connect to internet through Wifi or ethernet cable

Sounds like you deleted the network drivers, I did this once and ill be honest unless someone here knows a trick, or you have a CD with drivers you are going to have to have a hell of a time unless you know the name of the hardware and download the right driver, thats my guess. best of luck

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-7-cant-connect-to-internet-through-wifi-or-ethernet-cable.200026/
Relevancy 80.91%

Hi everyone
I have an Acer aspire one netbook, model D255 which operates on Windows 7.
Having trouble connecting to wifi connections. It worked fine initially, I tried turning the wifi switch on and off, it tells me that there are no wifi connections available, however everyone else Is able to connect via Wifi on their computers and myself without a problem on other devices.
On troubleshooting it's says - that an Ethernet cable is broken or not plugged in
properly, and is unable to fix the problem, as obviously I am not connected via any cable.
I looked in network and it says that the Ethernet cable is unplugged and does not show any available networks.
Urgent help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Relevancy 80.6%

I have recently bought a router, the Fritz.Box Home Server 1&1 VDSL. I have set it up via wifi and can connect to the internet without a problem.
However, I would like to connect my PC to the router via LAN.
When I put the LAN cable into my PC and the router, both my PC and my router react and tell me there is a connection but they do not recognize each other. The router says there is something in LAN1 and the PC says there is a LAN cable without a connection. I cannot access the router via LAN, only via wifi.
My PC uses the Killer Network 2200e driver, I tried removing it and then manually adding it again, it did not work. My IPv4 settings seem fine, too, I have no idea what to do now.

A:Ethernet won't connect to router, wifi works fine

and welcome to the Forum

Lets take a peek at your network environment:

First:

Power Cycle everything . . Turn off the Modem, router and all pc's . . turn on the Modem and wait a few minutes for the lights to stabilize . . then turn on the router, then one pc at a time. See if you connect to the internet.

Then: check your browser's settings, remove any proxy settings if found, here's how

Then:

with the pc connected to the router, Click on Start . . Run . . type CMD

At the > prompt type or copy and paste the following command:

ipconfig/all > 0 & notepad 0

and press enter.

Come back here and Paste the results in a message.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB drive, or a CD-R disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f31/ethernet-wont-connect-to-router-wifi-works-fine-1103938.html
Relevancy 80.6%

I have recently bought a router, the Fritz.Box Home Server 1&1 VDSL. I have set it up via wifi and can connect to the internet without a problem.
However, I would like to connect my PC to the router via LAN.
When I put the LAN cable into my PC and the router, both my PC and my router react and tell me there is a connection but they do not recognize each other. The router says there is something in LAN1 and the PC says there is a LAN cable without a connection. I cannot access the router via LAN, only via wifi.
My PC uses the Killer Network 2200e driver, I tried removing it and then manually adding it again, it did not work. My IPv4 settings seem fine, too, I have no idea what to do now.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f338/ethernet-wont-connect-to-router-wifi-works-fine-1103938.html
Relevancy 110.94%

Hi there,

The laptop I have is an asus P550C, windows 7.

This laptop came pre-installed with Mcafee Antivirus protection for a limited amount of time. Wifi was working perfectly fine although there were occasions where the connection would disconnect by itself. After the free-trial ended, I did not want to buy the packaged they were advertising so I went to my Control Panel and uninstalled Mcafee. This was when the problem started to occur. The internet access icon had a red x and when I went to diagnose the problem, it said that I needed to connect via an ethernet cable. Since then, I have connected it with an ethernet and internet works and I have also installed AVG's free antivirus software.

I have tried to
type: ipconfig /flushdns
type: nbtstat -R
type: netsh int reset all
type: netsh int ip reset
type: netsh winsock reset

But I still cannot connect via wifi. Please help

A:Wifi has stopped working but still able to connect to internet via ethernet cable

C:\Users\jay>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : jay-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : vlan1.phub.net.cable.rogers.com

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 54-35-30-05-36-68
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : vlan1.phub.net.cable.rogers.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : BC-EE-7B-28-57-D7
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::9dfa:dcc6:3d3b:ae86%11(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.20(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : March-27-15 4:14:52 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : March-28-15 4:14:52 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 247262843
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1A-51-D7-D4-BC-EE-7B-28-57-D7

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.vlan1.phub.net.cable.rogers.com:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : vlan1.phub.net.cable.rogers.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter isatap.{A9DA0935-EE1F-4A59-8A97-DDA13A7DFFEA}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:9d38:90d7:2c47:1b6c:9c1d:d26b(Pref
erred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::2c47:1b6c:9c1d:d26b%14(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

C:\Users\jay

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wifi-has-stopped-working-but-still-able-to-connect-to-internet-via-ethernet-cable.210787/
Relevancy 110.51%

Hi guys - setting up computers in my new home and have got the wifi working fine with my BT connect wifi Router to Ethernet Cannot via BTHub3 but Wireless works - Home Hub router works for laptops mobile devices etc Have been trying to connect via Ethernet for a laptop and home pc for a faster more reliable connection but it doesn't seem to be working When plugged in the Network and Sharing Centre simply displays the loading blue circle with 'identifying' but no network access When clicking on the Local Area Connection Status both IPv and IPv connectivity state no network access but I can't seem to find Cannot connect via Ethernet to BTHub3 Wireless Router - but wifi works any hardware problems on the laptop The same issue occurs for other laptops at home and I know my laptop works with Ethernet at work Running ipconfig all shows that DHCP is enabled I checked this on the properties tab for the IPvs autoconfiguration is enabled I can add in a copy and paste of the whole ipconfig all if that's helpful - 'media disconnected' shows for Tunnel adapters but I don't really understand what they are If anyone could help at all I'd be really grateful

A:Cannot connect via Ethernet to BTHub3 Wireless Router - but wifi works

Could be that the router is only set to wifi.
go to your router setting page open it (192.168.0.1) check the settings there,
password is probably admin if you havn't changed it, please do change it if you havn't.

Or plan B reset the router

Roy

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/377034-cannot-connect-via-ethernet-bthub3-wireless-router-but-wifi-works.html
Relevancy 110.08%

Whenever I unplug from the router and go upstairs, I can't connect to my wi-fi. The problem also persists downstairs unless I am connected by ethernet. It's been happening for about 2 days. At first the wi-fi would jump in and out randomly and quickly but now it simply wont connect. Is it a virus or how can I fix it?

A:Wifi doesn't connect unless directly connected to router by ethernet cable

You might just need to restart your router / WiFI AP to resolve that issue.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wifi-doesnt-connect-unless-directly-connected-to-router-by-ethernet-cable.202219/
Relevancy 110.08%

Greetings!

I have an internet connection which is distributed through a wireless router. I use my laptop's (which also has a LAN adapter) WiFi to connect to that router. I have a PC too which only has LAN adapter but not the Wireless adapter.

Unfortunately I cannot wire my place as the router is in my housemate's room. I have network cables though to connect my PC and my laptop. Can I access Internet on my PC using connection between my laptop and PC and my laptop being connected to the Internet via WiFi?

I have DHCP enabled on my WiFi laptop. I am not sure what do I need to do and if I need to give static IP's to all the computers?

Thanks,
AJ
PS - I can access the router settings and I can change those settings unless it hampers my other house-mates to use the Internet.

A:Laptop (wifi Internet w/ethernet facility) connect to PC through CAT5 cable

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-wifi-internet-w-ethernet-facility-connect-to-pc-through-cat5-cable.671427/
Relevancy 107.07%

I have a Dell Studio with Vista and Wifi capability I ve had the computer for a year and a half and I ve never ethernet wirelessly, connect Solved: Wifi working, suddenly but wont stopped works had a major problem with wireless connection before Any problem has been purely because of a low connection strength or because I was in a classroom I m a college student in which multiple people were trying to Solved: Wifi suddenly stopped working, wont connect wirelessly, but ethernet works connect at once Eventually it always worked I was home for the weekend and connected to my primary wireless connection and all of a sudden I lost connection and could not reconnect I tried restarting and shutting off both the computer and wireless router I tried resetting the wireless router I tried turning on and off the Wifi button on my computer Still cannot connect I plugged in an ethernet cable into my internet directly from the router and it runs fine that is how I am on the internet on my laptop at the moment I will not always have access to an ethernet cable when I go back to school later today and I have a project I need to research so I m kind of in a rush to get this figured out Also it s just so much easier connecting wireless and obviously I d like this fixed Anyway I read up on other people s similar problem and I don t know if I changed something or messed up but now whenever i click to view Wireless Connections the router for my house has a red x next to it and says quot The settings saved on this computer for the network do not match the requirements of the network quot Even before it said that I could not connect And it used to have full signal strength It would say it can t connect and I could either view other connections and or try again or diagnose the problem If hit to view others I would try again to no avail If I hit diagnose it would say that there may be a problem with the wireless internet or something like that and then there would be three options two of them to plug in set up a LAN connection and a third to quot view troubleshooting for low wireless connections quot but I ve tried the last option before and all of those steps even though I know the connection is strength I know a little about computers but not a lot especially with internet connections If you need me to find out any information or post anything else that would help let me know Any help would be greatly appreciated I really need this fixed ASAP so please let me know Thank you nbsp

A:Solved: Wifi suddenly stopped working, wont connect wirelessly, but ethernet works

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-wifi-suddenly-stopped-working-wont-connect-wirelessly-but-ethernet-works.883599/
Relevancy 105.35%

Starting days ago I started having issues with my WiFi plugged in cable only works ethernet Wi-Fi with at first it started with the quot quot popping up sorry im not very tech savvy and i could just trouble shoot problems and it will repair itself It Then it started saying Wi-Fi only works with ethernet cable plugged in there weren t any networks available I made sure airplane mode was not on and everything and it either had the picture of the monitor with the X over it or the WiFi thing with the X over it I did trouble shoot and it worked sometimes but other times I just restarted my PC and it worked fine for a while and would keep doing this Last night it had the monitor with the X and would say that I needed to plug in an Ethernet cable and trouble shoot wouldn t fix anything I tried resetting my PC but its still having the same problem I now have the Ethernet cable plugged in because its the only thing that will work I have a desktop computer two phones and a ps hooked up to the wifi and it hasn t been having any problems at all I have windows and Wi-Fi only works with ethernet cable plugged in ive had this PC for about a year and a half I don t have much downloaded except for some trusted Wi-Fi only works with ethernet cable plugged in things Steam Firefox chrome etc and I havent been deleting any programs or anything nbsp

A:Wi-Fi only works with ethernet cable plugged in

------------------------------------------------------------------------
TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1 and Windows 10

For Windows 8 or Windows 10
To open a Cmd Prompt or an Administrator Cmd prompt from the Desktop.
Use Windows + X Keys together and choose Command Prompt (Admin) from the list.
Or Right click on the windows icon - bottom left hand side - A menu appears - choose Command Prompt (Admin)​
For windows version, XP, Vista, W7
Hold the Windows key and press R
Now type CMD
Now press Enter to open a command prompt box (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):​In the command prompt window that opens, type the following commands:

Note: Type only the text in bold and red for the following commands.
Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog and press enter

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log and press enter

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log and press enter
​ReStart (reboot) the machine.

If you receive the message
The requested operation requires elevation.
Then please open the command prompt as administrator - as requested above
Start> Programs> Accessories> and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt box
(A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen )​Please note and post back - if you receive the following message :-
Resetting , failed. - This error will occur with windows 10 , so ignore.
Access is denied. - This error will occur with windows 8 and windows 10 , so ignore.
But running TCP/IP reset still can resolve issues , even with the above errors.

please post back the results in a reply here - its important we know that these commands have worked correctly and not produced any errors
right click in the command prompt box
select all
enter
control key + C key - to copy
then reply here and
control key + V to paste​
Details also here
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357
also the link has a Microsoft Fix it , which will do the above for you

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wi-fi-only-works-with-ethernet-cable-plugged-in.1172082/
Relevancy 102.34%

Just to start off I am COMPLETELY clueless and have no tech savvy whatsoever so simple language would be appreciated I ve owned this laptop for a little over a year and all this time I ve been able to connect to Wifi without a problem This morning the icon at the bottom left of but Laptop with Ethernet will Wifi, won't cord an to My connect connect the screen told me there was no Internet connection available when I troubleshot it it suggested using the Ethernet cord to connect The Ethernet cord connects them fine and the internet connection becomes available but I m still unable to use the Wifi This is an issue with my laptop because all the other devices My Laptop won't connect to Wifi, but will connect with an Ethernet cord in my house are able to connect to the Wifi and the modem is showing all the appropriate lights and such I ve tried turning it off and on again but alas this once that method has failed I ve also tried resetting the modem and it made no difference Last night I was uninstalling various programs that I didn t need and that s the only thing I ve done differently to my usual computing habits I don t think I removed anything unless I knew what it was but it s possible I accidently removed something important I don t know if that has any relevance or not but it s all I can think of as the reason for this My laptop is a Toshiba Qosmio and the system I use is Windows My modem is Telstra Bigpond Please help D nbsp

A:My Laptop won't connect to Wifi, but will connect with an Ethernet cord

How far from the router are you? I experience the same thing occasionally on my laptop.
I usually have to switch the wifi switch off on the laptop & on then I reboot & I'm back online. My laptop & tower are both about 50' away & on the lower floor where the router is. Good luck.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-laptop-wont-connect-to-wifi-but-will-connect-with-an-ethernet-cord.197531/
Relevancy 101.91%

Last week i decided to move my computers (2). Internet was working fine before i did this. After I moved them I havent been able to connect except for a usb cable. Both computers are using the Windows Vista home premium 32 bit. Before all of this happened I had 2 computers and an Xbox 360 all connected. I have tried everything I can think of and none of it worked. I have charter cable internet and they were able to get on the internet fine using the ethernet cable. when i go to ipconfig/all it gives me a 169.254.216.245 IP address. I have read several places where people have been having problems with this but all the suggestions for them nothing worked for me! Please help

A:Cannot connect to internet using Ethernet Cable but can connect with USB cable

Do you connect via a modem or a router. Did you try the release/renew options when you were in ipconfig ?
If you use a router check it to see if it's still giving out IP's automatically.

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/239670-cannot-connect-internet-using-ethernet-cable-but-can-connect-usb-cable.html
Relevancy 100.62%

Please help.. Can't connect to the wifi but using ethernet is working fine.. My phone could connect to the same wifi though
tried to backread some of the threads but didn't work on my laptop

A:Cannot "fully" connect to wifi but works fine on ethernet

Additional info. I am using Atheros AR5006EXS Wireless Network Adapter
and I did deleted the driver and it installed again automatically, but sadly it still doesn't work

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cannot-fully-connect-to-wifi-but-works-fine-on-ethernet.206650/
Relevancy 99.76%

Hi,

I am not able to connect internet via wifi (although I can connect to the router). I am able to connect to internet via plunging the cable.

I see that yellow triangle with "!" mark in the internet connection.

Please help!!

Shailesh Jajotar

Relevancy 99.76%

I have a Sony Vaio with WIFI and an ALienware that does not have WIFI. I need to connect the Alienware to the Vaio with ethernet cable to access the net. I keep getting a IP address conflict message on the Vaio. The only thing I need the Vaio for is the WIFI connectivity. Will be purchasing a new PCI card (wireless adapter) soon but until I do... I need to make that connection on the Vaio a Hot Spot or the likes. Any surefire methodology to accomplish this task? Thanks so much for any help you can offer. Kirt (530)749-1110

A:Win XP, laptop#1 has WIFI, laptop #2 needs to connect thru #1 with ethernet cable

what operating systems are on the PCs

you should use ICS - internet connection sharing or bridge
what type of cable do you have - it may need a crossover cable if the pcs are old and do not have autosensing LAN connections
TURN ON ICS
TURN ON ICS - for internet sharing

General
-------
TURN ON ICS - for internet sharing
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Using-ICS-Internet-Connection-Sharing

XP
--
TURN ON ICS - for internet sharing - for windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/crawford_02july01.mspx

VISTA
-----
TURN ON ICS - for internet sharing - for windows VISTA
http://www.windowsreference.com/win...ternet-connection-sharing-ics-setup-in-vista/

windows 7
---------
TURN ON ICS - for internet sharing - for windows 7
http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/bridge-network-connections-in-windows-7/

Bridging two network connections:
Make sure the secondary connection has DHCP enabled.
Open the Network Connections folder from the Start Menu, Settings.
Select the first connection to be used in the bridge and highlight it by left clicking on it.
Holding the Ctrl key, select the second connection to be used in the bridge by left clicking on it.
Right click on one of the two highlighted connections and select Bridge Connections.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/win-xp-laptop-1-has-wifi-laptop-2-needs-to-connect-thru-1-with-ethernet-cable.1016997/
Relevancy 97.61%

I have Lenovo laptop and my internet works just fine when the cable is connected but Wifi does not work It shows that i have excellent signal on the side but it just wont connect When i type with Wifi not cable Laptop works Ethernet but in password it says quot Windows cannot connect to XYZ quot I use Windows and my wireless network adapter is Atheros AR C Users MY gt IPCONFIG ALL Windows IP Configuration Host Name MY-PC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List local lan Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Anchorfree HSS VPN Adapter Physical Address -FF- -D - -DE DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter Physical Address -F -A -FA-B - DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Laptop works with Ethernet cable but not Wifi Suffix Description Atheros AR Wireless Network Adapter Physical Address -F -A -FA-B - DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Bluetooth Device Personal Area Network Physical Address C -CB- -FC-E - DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix local lan Description Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller Physical Address -AE- D-DE- A- B DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe d af d Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Friday November AM Lease Expires Friday November PM Default Gateway fe ff fe b DHCP Server DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IPv Address d ab c f ca f fefd Pref erred Link-local IPv Address fe c f ca f fefd Preferred Default Gateway NetBIOS over Tcpip Disabled Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft to Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap D DE-EF - E -A B -BB A C F Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap local lan Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix local lan Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap AAE A - - DAF-AE E- BA B CACF Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap CC - - - -EAF D Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Here s a screenshot of what it shows nbsp

Relevancy 96.75%

Hey guys I while to WIFI being able Can't to ethernet connect connect to m new to this forum and wasn t sure where to post this question but I decided to put it here as it seems to be where most people have had internet queries I m a bit perplexed at the moment For the last few days I ve been trying to somehow fix my internet problem I scoured other forums for similar questions and tried all the things they ve said and still had no luck so I ve run out of options and decided to Can't connect to ethernet while being able to connect to WIFI set up this Can't connect to ethernet while being able to connect to WIFI account and ask myself I have a virgin media super hub Recently the ethernet cable wouldn t connect I tried other ethernet cables to see if it was due to me breaking it and no luck Not sure if it s a coincidence or not but at the same time I also wasn t able to connect to the ghz supplied by the router So I m left with ghz wireless at the moment My friend also can t connect to the ghz on the router so it might be something to do with the router rather than my laptop but I m not sure what would have caused it in the last few days it s a new router hub too only about a month old I think generally you re supposed to post your ipconfig Which I ll post if asked I ve tried flushing the DNS ipconfig renew release etc So i m really stuck for ideas nbsp

Relevancy 96.75%

Hello all I changed my router access password and wireless WPA Pre-Shared key today by logging in at After that I realized that my wireless would still connect but it wouldn t load up webpages quickly or at all for that matter I tried to troubleshoot just based on the things I know to do e g flushdns winsock fix release renew wireless adapter properties changing the preferred and alternate DNS servers etc When I still was able to connect to wireless I ran troubleshooter It came back that it was properly configured by the DNS server was not responding I m writing this connect won't with Ethernet connect Wifi Can post with my ethernet Can connect with Ethernet Wifi won't connect cable in my computer because wireless won t even connect anymore It says RCA on the physical router but when Can connect with Ethernet Wifi won't connect I login it says quot Thomson quot Can someone help Thanks Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Home Premium Service Pack bit Processor Intel R Celeron R CPU GHz Intel Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card Mobile Intel R Series Express Chipset Family Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard TOSHIBA NBWAA Antivirus AVG AntiVirus Free Edition Updated and Enabled nbsp

Relevancy 96.32%

Hi All I have Windows Vista home premium I moved from Chicago to Boston Before I left Chicago I tried removing kaspersky internet security as my laptop used to heat up and shut down often you can hear the voice from laptop when more process are running and it shut s down While uninstalling kaspersky the laptop shutdown half way I moved to Boston I tried connecting to wireless it does not work It shows connected excellent signal strength but bytes received Wireless works fine for other room mates on their laptops If works, not cable does wifi Solved: work ethernet I try connecting from cable internet works fine Pasting the ipconfig all results Windows IP Configuration Host Name compaq-PC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List hsd ma comcast net Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix hsd ma comcast net Description Atheros AR b g WiFi Adapter Physical Address - F-E -BB- A- DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe d bd ea f ae Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Saturday Solved: ethernet cable works, wifi does not work October AM Lease Expires Saturday November AM Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - -DE-FB- - - E-EC- E-DA- DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix hsd ma comcast net Description Realtek RTL x Family Fast Ethernet NIC Physical Address - E-EC- E-DA- DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Solved: ethernet cable works, wifi does not work Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap E CF- F- D - FDE-F EC B DEA Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - E- DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix hsd ma comcast net Description isatap hsd ma comcast net Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Pls help I also attached the pic of wifi inspector Thanks nbsp

A:Solved: ethernet cable works, wifi does not work

The following was put together mostly by etaf with a little help from me.

Atheros Wireless Adapter - AR5007EG & AR5007
Over the last four or so years we have been seeing a lot of problems with the above adapters, mainly concerning WPA and WPA2 encryption and mainly on windows Vista.
We have seen just a couple of issues on other windows operating system, windows XP and windows 7.

Windows XP:- A driver update has resolved the issue
Windows 7 :- No conclusive results for a fix

The wireless adapter gets an IP configuration, and shows as connected, but communication is non-existent or sporadic.

Log into the Router and disable the wireless security and see if you are now able to connect to the internet and surf OK.
Please post back a reply here, and let us know if that works or does not work.

Here are a number of possible solutions

--- 1) In Device Manager right click on the wireless adapter and "update driver."

--- 2) Download and install the latest wireless driver from your laptop manufacturer's web site support section,

--- 3) On one occasion re-setting the router back to factory default and re-configuring the router settings has resolved the issue

--- 4) The majority of members, have now used the drivers from the atheros driver site, which has resolved the issue.
- see below for direct links for windows vista and the link for all Atheros adapters and supported operating systems
AR5007
Vista 32 / 64 Bit
Direct link Drivers for Atheros AR5007 and Windows Vista 32 / 64 bit
You only need to click on the green download button labelled " Click to Download " and wait, the file will download - you do not need to click on any other buttons to get the download started
AR5007EG
Vista 32 / 64 Bit
Direct link Drivers for Atheros AR5007EG and Windows Vista 32 / 64 bit
You only need to click on the green download button labelled " Click to Download " and wait, the file will download - you do not need to click on any other buttons to get the download started
Drivers for the other windows operating system
http://www.atheros.cz/atheros-wireless-drivers.php
You need to look down the page for your particular adapter model and then look across the columns to find your windows version.
Now click on the blue tick mark in the column under your windows version.
This will open another page for that particular adapter and that windows version.

Now click on the download button labelled " Click to Download " and wait, the file will download - you do not need to click on any other buttons to get the download started

Assuming that after all the above the wireless still does not connect to the internet, all I can suggest is to use wireless security of WEP or to get an external USB wireless card.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-ethernet-cable-works-wifi-does-not-work.1111550/
Relevancy 96.32%

Hey guys,

I have a Sony Vaio VPCEH15EN laptop & the OS is Windows 7 home basic. I have a wifi router which is of TPLINK.

The wifi won't connect to my laptop but it works fine on my mobile..it would only start working when I use the ethernet cable. I never had this problem before. I have tried everything ..I also tried the winsockfix.bat but all my efforts have gone in vain..I just don't know if the wifi router is faulty or the modem of my ISP...Please help me solve this problem.

Best Regards,
Om

A:Wifi on my laptop won't work but works when I use the ethernet cable

I have solved the problem by myself. To do this, first you have to disconnect your Ethernet cable from your laptop and follow the steps: Start>Control Panel>Network and Sharing Center>Manage Wireless Networks and remove all wireless connections by right click on it and select Remove network from the drop down menu. After doing this, close the windows and scan for the Wi-Fi networks. Click on the available network and select connect. After a while, you will be asked to give a password for your Wi-Fi connection. Type the password and click on connect button. And now will be connected to your Wi-Fi network via wireless.

May be it will help you.
Regards
MD. MAHMUDUL HASAN

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wifi-on-my-laptop-wont-work-but-works-when-i-use-the-ethernet-cable.200754/
Relevancy 96.32%

Hi! I don't know much about this place but there's a problem with my laptop and I don't know how to solve it. My laptop won't connect to the wifi anymore but it works perfectly fine with the ethernet cable. I appreciate it very much if you tech geniuses could help me out. THANK YOU!

A:My WiFi on my laptop won't work but works with Ethernet cable

Are there any yellow (!) in the device manager?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-wifi-on-my-laptop-wont-work-but-works-with-ethernet-cable.206652/
Relevancy 95.46%

Hi i have a Toshiba Satellite computer and my wifi doesnt work, it used to but it stopped all of a sudden.
https://gyazo.com/984c41491a3603c408f40cc4446008df

A:Toshiba Laptop internet only works through Ethernet Cable, NO WIFI

Reinstall your wifi driver from offcial toshiba website. Or you can check your all driver updated or not. To easily check all driver just download advanced driver updater to update WiFi and other driver

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/590272/toshiba-laptop-internet-only-works-through-ethernet-cable-no-wifi/
Relevancy 95.03%

Hi all

I have got a new desktop PC, which works fine with Ethernet but I am not able to connect through wireless.When I tried to connect to the broadband, it says error connecting to the Broadband connection
Error 651: The modem (or other connecting device) has reported error. However, same comnnection works very well with my vista home premium Dell Laptop.

Thanks in advance
Pxray

A:HP Pavillion PC with windows 8 works ethernet works well but not able to connect through wireless

How to reset TCP/IP by using the NetShell utility

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-pavillion-pc-with-windows-8-works-ethernet-works-well-but-not-able-to-connect-through-wireless.202705/
Relevancy 92.88%

I just recovered my computer to factory settings. Now, can't connect to internet. I have Vista Home Premium, no service packs (can't get on the 'net to download them!) I have no ip address when I do the ipconfig. Device Manager has no issues. It says Network Adapter is NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller. It is working properly. Newest driver. What is next? Thanks

A:Can't connect w/ ethernet cable

goto devise manager and make sure you have no yellow "?" or red"x" if you do then you need to install the drivers

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/cant-connect-w-ethernet-cable-497324.html
Relevancy 92.88%

This used to be a simple network trick -> connect two Windows PCs using network cable, go into adapter settings -> IPv4 -> set one IP to 10.0.0.1 and the other 10.0.0.2, then you can easily see the other computer and copy/move files.

Not when I upgraded one PC to Windows 10 (can't upgrade the other one yet, as it's work machine). Tried the above, can't see the other Windows. Symptoms include:
- Windows 10 PC adapter status shows a lot of incoming traffic but outgoing traffic stays 0 bytes.
- tried to edit group policy for default location for unidentified network (which is the case on both PCs) to be Private so I could share files
- For "Private" networks, the network discovery is set to ON.

Any ideas?

A:Can't connect two PCs using Ethernet cable any more - Win 10 & Win 7

You cannot connect two computers together using a normal network cable. Normal network cables are wired so that they are straight pass through. You need what's called a crossover cable, as these connect the transmit from one computer to the receive on the other.

These cables are fairly hard to find, so it's usually much easier to simply get a cheap network switch.

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/11093-cant-connect-two-pcs-using-ethernet-cable-any-more-win-10-win-7-a.html
Relevancy 92.88%

I recently reinstalled windows and on a new hard drive and now it says my ethernet controller needs to be update. Without it i cannot use the internet without connecting to wifi, how do i update it?

A:Cannot Connect Using Ethernet Cable

Desktop or laptop ?

I`ll assume it`s a laptop, you have to download your wireless drivers from your pc manufacturers website, from another pc. Download them to a usb drive then install on your pc.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/260479-cannot-connect-using-ethernet-cable.html
Relevancy 92.88%

hi i have a Windows xp PC and a Laptop I want to connect Cable by Connect pc's 2 XP Ethernet them so that i can see all the files and folders of one on other Now below are pics of my modem and my cable please tell me what type of modem is it ADSL or xDSL and the cable is connector cable or Ethernet cable or crossover cable using the cable shown joined it from PC to My Windows Vista Laptop and ran a preinstalled program is Vista to connect computers This program succesfully connected the pcs it transfered files but Main problem with this is this program shows the contents of Host PC which is OLD PC 's contents only and offers them to be transferred But i want sharing like i see in my college PCs through network neighbourhood i saw all pcs and just double clicked on any system and whoa i saw all its partitions NOTE USING ubuntu Live CD on one laptop i was able to quot see quot the other xp pc's partitons and printers but when clicked on them it asked me username and password I didnt know what these were and even on giving xp's useraccounts and passwords the user and password dialog continued popping up I couldnt see anything beyond partitions hence Now tell me how can i do same thing with both XP systems I have joined this cable see picture pc to pc But now what can anybody tell me how to proceed and start sharing files as explained in Any third party softwares who can do this work efficently are welcome Frankly i dont have any idea of networking and all but as a Electronics engineering student i want some Please tell my any good books ebooks links if you know that help me in expanding my little or zero knowlegde Thanks

A:Connect 2 XP pc's by Ethernet Cable

See how much this helps . . http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/net.asp

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/connect-2-xp-pcs-by-ethernet-cable-269021.html
Relevancy 91.59%

I have windows 7... I am connected to a network. However it say no internet access. I am in a dorm room with 2 others why can i not connect to the internet through my ethernet cable?

A:Cannot connect to internet through ethernet cable

Need ALOT more information, without more info in my professional opinion the magic unicorn is the cause for ethernet cable troubles.

What are you attempting to connect to (Modem, Router, direct to the wall, another computer)
Did you make the cable your self or did you purchase?
Were you told you have to set a static IP, or it uses a DHCP, or you don't know?
Do the 2 other people have internet access?
Have you tried to kick it yet?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/cannot-connect-to-internet-through-ethernet-cable-472833.html
Relevancy 91.59%

We have 2 laptops. Both can connect via wireless fine, but only one can connect using the Ethernet cable. When plugged into the laptop which doesn't work I get the computer with a yellow "exclamation mark" triangle, which says no internet access. The working laptop is using Vista and mine, the none working, uses Windows 7.

I'd be happy to use Skype or TV to sort out the problem.

Joe.

A:One laptop can connect via Ethernet cable but the other one cannot?

Joet, welcome to Sevenforums

This sounds like a driver issue. Can you give me the full name of your laptop so I might direct you where to find the right driver? If you are able to do this on your own, feel free.

It is a LAN driver you would be looking for, and not the wireless LAN.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/245775-one-laptop-can-connect-via-ethernet-cable-but-other-one-cannot.html
Relevancy 91.59%

Is it possible to use an Ethernet cable to connect two laptops together for the purpose of playing LAN games?
I have an Acer Aspire 1640Z amd my friend has an Acer Aspire 1640. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jason Crenshaw

A:Connect Two Laptops on a LAN via Ethernet cable

Yes, but you need a crossover cable, or you need to use a hub/switch/router with two cables.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/connect-two-laptops-on-a-lan-via-ethernet-cable.645819/
Relevancy 91.59%

For some reason, i cannot connect to the internet using my current ethernet cable. I am 100% positive that adapter is working fine, as i had maintenance come into my room and check it out, but my computer won't connect to their internet through my cable

Attached is a picture of my device manager, but even through that, it appears that nothing is wrong.

My specs are:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
Processor Count: 8
RAM: 6055 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family, -1260 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 262143 MB, Free - 199514 MB; D: Total - 322732 MB, Free - 322631 MB;
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer Inc., K53SV
Antivirus: Norton AntiVirus, Updated and Enabled

Relevancy 91.59%

Hey everyone, got an issue that's stumping me.

I bought a new computer here at work, and am having issues getting the ethernet port to work. I know the port itself works because it worked on Windows 7 when I first got the computer, but when I got it, I immediately did a clean install of Windows 8.1(media that came with the computer so I know it's compatible). Since I've installed Windows 8.1, it hasn't worked.

Things I've tried:
-Disabling the ethernet adapter and re-enabling it.
-Uninstalling the ethernet driver and restarting the computer to have it installed again.
-Unplugging and re-plugging in the switch, router, and modem.
-Tried cable on a different computer to make sure it wasn't my cable or port.
-Tried a different cable with my current computer.

I don't know what else to do.

I get this error:

I've tried ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew, and it doesn't change a thing.

A:Internet won't connect with ethernet cable.

In elevated command:

Code:
ipconfig/all
Post output

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/362457-internet-wont-connect-ethernet-cable.html
Relevancy 91.59%

i want to transfer files, remote desktop, lan gaming....actualy lan gaming works fine without doing anything just connecting the cable

but how do i transfer files and remote desktop....what software do i need??????

note:
pc1 windows 7
pc2 windows xp

A:how to connect 2 pc with direct ethernet cable

Easy Transfer.

Are they connected to a router or switch ? Do you have a homegroup setup.

You should be able to see each pc from the other and pull off each, whatever you want.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/260458-how-connect-2-pc-direct-ethernet-cable.html
Relevancy 91.59%

I have a similar problem to the attached link:
http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista-7/813381-solved-brand-new-vaio-will.html
I travel a lot and many hotels only offer wired internet.

My sony Vaio VGN TZ250n (vista home) requires the ethernet cable box to be depowered and repowered to connect via the ethernet cable. After I reset the ethernet box, I can connect to the internet. But, if the room does not have a power cord for the ethernet cable, then I'm unable to connect.

In the attached link - the member said he "turned off a plethora of useless services that were set to auto".

What services can I turn off that may help me to connect?

thanks in advance-

Relevancy 91.59%

Hi

I am trying to link two pcs with an ethernet cable I have plugged the cables in to both computers but I cant form a connection, Can any one please explain the process.
One pc is vista and on is XP.

thanks

A:Solved: connect two PCS with an ethernet cable

Well, depending on the specific network cards, you might need a crossover cable. However, that aside, you need to Setup ICS

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-connect-two-pcs-with-an-ethernet-cable.745341/
Relevancy 91.59%

I have recently replaced my mobo and pro. I have connected all hardware one piece at a time with no probs until it come to plugging in my ethernet cable for my internet access. It will not even get to the log on screen sometimes or it will just get past the sign on and then shuts down. The shut down is sometimes complete and sometimes the fans are still spining but no video displayed. All temps seem to be ok in the BIOS. Cable is ok as I have tested it on another system. Also as soon as I take the cabel out and reboot its seems just fine.

Have run several virus scans, only picked up tracking cookies, but there are alot so got rid but prob persists.

Any ideas would be helpfull as it is driving me nuts

Thanks

A:PC Shuts Down only when I connect the Ethernet Cable

Have you installed the drivers for the network card? If integrated on the motherboard they should have come in the motherboard box.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/pc-shuts-down-only-when-i-connect-the-ethernet-cable.761872/
Relevancy 91.59%

hi, i have 2 computers 1 is running win 2 k pro sp4 and the other is running vista hp sp1. i am trying to connect them together via ethernet cable for file sharing, ect, and i do not know how to configure the comps. can someone explain to me how to get it working. i do not know how to set it up. please help, thanx, dennis

A:Trying to connect 2 computerw via ethernet cable

There should be some kind of network wizard?

or using the cd's you got with the OS

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/trying-to-connect-2-computerw-via-ethernet-cable.103864/
Relevancy 91.59%

How do I setup a direct connection between my laptop running Win2000 and my pc running XP. I don't want to use a router, I just want a direct connection using a ethernet crossover cable. I can't seem to find any step by step guides on how to do this. Hope someone can help.

Relevancy 91.59%

Alright I ll make it short but informative I can t connect cable able internet Only via to ethernet to connect to the internet without an ethernet cable I have tried pressing the laptop s quot WiFi quot button but nothing has happened The light didn t even change I have tried Only able to connect to internet via ethernet cable rebooting and going into BIOS to see Only able to connect to internet via ethernet cable if there was on option there nothing I Only able to connect to internet via ethernet cable have tried going into Device Manager and under quot Network Cards quot I got options I believe I had options though now I have only first I tried to deactivate it and the reactivate it but that just made it not work at all and when I got home and got my connection back I tried to update the drivers which is when I noticed I only had because I was at school when all showed up so I didn t have connection to update them but it just said that they were all up to date I have tried using the windows recovering tool to go back before the problem occurred Though I did get an error the first time due to my AVG being up so it couldn t complete but after that I tried doing it again with AVG off but the situation didn t change and I know the problem isn t with the router as the problem occurs with different WiFi s In the beginning it would only say quot can t connect to the internet quot over and over again but now it won t even show the available WiFi networks in the area Any help is much appreciated nbsp

A:Only able to connect to internet via ethernet cable

Any suggestions at all? if you require more information in order to come up with a solution, just tell me what you need an ill try my best to figure it out

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/only-able-to-connect-to-internet-via-ethernet-cable.212310/
Relevancy 91.59%

Time Warner just came out on Saturday to install cable internet (Road Runner). However, he couldn't get it to connect through the ethernet, it will only get online from the USB.

The whole problem is that when I click on Repair (I have XP) it says that it cannot renew my IP address. I thought the problem might be on my end, so I bought a new NIC. No change.

Then time warner gave me a new modem, and the problem still persists.

I've already run the ipconfig /release junk, and it changed nothing.

Before I moved into this new apartment, I was using T1 cable from the old apartment, so I know my ethernet slot works as well as the cords and such.

What is going on?? I'm so confused, and I'd like my internet to go thru the ethernet so that I can get Vonage phone service.

Any help would be great! :giddy:

A:Cable modem won't connect thru ethernet

hi i have one sugestion, that you probibly did alredy but its worth a chack, make shore t that you have no firewalls on including the windows firewall, post back if the probiem contunios

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cable-modem-wont-connect-thru-ethernet.26116/
Relevancy 91.59%

can anyone please help me find my default gateway for my ethernet cable from xbox 360 to my desktop pc (xp) im confused because when i go on command pormt and type ipconfig /all it shows this :

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

D:\Documents and Settings\ted>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : samwise
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-17-CE-73-A0
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.44.61
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

PPP adapter Wanadoo Broadband:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 81.79.249.152
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 81.79.249.152
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 195.92.195.90

D:\Documents and Settings\ted>

but it has no default gateway for my ethernet adapter

please help.

A:connect xbox360 via ethernet cable

I always thought you needed a cossover cable to succesfully do that. Im thinking of the first xbox though

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/connect-xbox360-via-ethernet-cable-326229.html
Relevancy 91.59%

I have a room (no wifi) and the room only have an Ethernet Cable that supply the internet to my PC.

Q1 How can I split the internet to another PC?

Q2 Is it possible have wifi? If yes how to setup?

Thanks

A:How to connect to internet for more than one PC with one ethernet cable

Hello skytech,

You can "split the Internet" using a wireless router (which will also give you Wifi -- see below), or you can use a switch to allow more physical connections.

It is possible to setup Wifi with a wireless router.

You connect [what I assume you have] your modem to the wireless router.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-connect-to-internet-for-more-than-one-pc-with-one-ethernet-cable.1132171/
Relevancy 91.59%

I know the Ethernet cable does have a valid internet connection because i get it on my lap top. When I go under internet connections I can see that I am connected to it but it doesn't do anything. I also have a wireless internet that i can connect to but it is not that good. Anyone know how i can make it so my Ethernet cable will actually work?

A:Can not connect to internet Via ethernet cable

start > run > type in cmd and hit enter

enter the command

Code:
ipconfig/all
post the results

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/can-not-connect-to-internet-via-ethernet-cable-407761.html
Relevancy 91.59%

I cant connect to internet with ethernet cable it doesnt even show my cable is plugged in. The cable is okey i tried other computer and i got in internet with it.

if i restart my computer it comes back for like 5 -10 mins then it disappears again shows that the cable isnt plugged in and if i disable and enable the adapter it comes back again for 5 min. please help

A:Cant connect to internet with ethernet cable.

Hey hawkin,

Try to update the drivers for your LAN card. Or, if possible get an external card and plug the cable in that and check.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/315345-cant-connect-internet-ethernet-cable.html
Relevancy 91.59%

Hi I know this is a recurring problem and I ve scoured the forums for a solution but everything I ve tried so far hasn t worked Just got a new modem and it works fine while connected through an ethernet cord but I can t connect wirelessly My network doesn t even show up in the list of available networks I m using Vista by the way I ve downloaded all drivers that seemed to have something to do with my problem I ve done ipconfig all Can't cable to connect without ethernet internet and these are Can't connect to internet without ethernet cable the results Microsoft Windows Version Copyright c Microsoft Corporation All rights reserved C Users Gabrielle gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name Gabrielle-PC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller Physical Address - -D -F - - DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained July- - PM Lease Expires July- - PM Default Gateway DHCP Server DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Bluetooth Device Personal Area Network Physical Address - E- - - B- DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Broadcom AG a b g draft-n Wi-Fi Adapter Physical Address - A- - - - DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes I m at a loss Any help would be greatly appreciated nbsp

A:Can't connect to internet without ethernet cable

You have a public IP address there, implying that your modem is just that, or if it is a modem/wireless router combo it is bridged (to act as modem only).

What is the brand and model of your modem?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-connect-to-internet-without-ethernet-cable.1060716/
Relevancy 91.59%

I have an Acer desktop with Windows 7, and a couple of days ago I stopped being able to connect to the internet through the ethernet port. I am certain that the problem is not with the modem or the ISP, because I can plug in my laptop with an ethernet cable and it connects normally, plus I am able to connect any number of devices (including my desktop!) through wifi on the same modem. What can I do to fix this?

Relevancy 91.59%

Hello, my question is about cable and Wi-Fi connections.
I have to laptops at home. Both cannot connect to local area network, when I plug in the cable, they can't get a DNS address.

Both laptops see Wi-Fi networks in range, both can connect, but one laptop can't receive DNS with Wi-Fi, too.

So the only thing I am able to do is to connect and surf with with one of the laptops via Wi-Fi.

I tried entering IP, DNS, etc manually, but it didn't help.
One of the computers can ping DNS (168.192.1.1 - router, I guess), another one can't.

What could be the problem?

Thank you very much for answers.

A:Can't connect with cable, but Wi-Fi works

B4 I go off on a step by step, are your Laps manufactured by Dell ?

If so, did you check the Dell Wireless Client Manager settings? You can locate it via Start > All Programs > Dell > etc. <-- I dont' own one so I'm not familiar with the exact wording (sorry) However, if you do have a Dell and you can locate this program, if the Box is checked, UNCHECK it, then attempt your connection again.

I found this link which I didn't thoroughly read through but I became aware of this not too long ago setting up a network connection for a small company where a guy had a Dell and I couldn't keep it connected.

Dell Wireless Connections example one

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cant-connect-with-cable-but-wi-fi-works-188857.html
Relevancy 91.16%

Hello I m not Works Connect Won't Ethernet Wireless sure if this is in the right place but here goes Yesterday the wireless was going slow so I Ethernet Works Wireless Won't Connect accessed the router and changed the WPA Pre-Shared Key to something more complex and difficult to guess After that it would still connect to wireless but it wouldn t load pages quickly or at all Then it stopped connecting to my wireless network altogether I m writing this post with my Ethernet cable plugged in and it works perfectly fine I ran Windows troubleshooter while still able to connect to wireless Results were that the problem had something to do with Ethernet Works Wireless Won't Connect the DNS Server Since then I ve tried winsock fix flushdns ipconfig in cmd resetting the wireless WPA Pre-Shared Key back to the original changing the Preferred and Alternate DNS servers powering off my Thomson router I ve tried to cmd - ipconfig release renew but it says the media is disconnected and it can t perform that operation Any help would be great -Scott nbsp

A:Ethernet Works Wireless Won't Connect

How far is the computer from the router? Are there any walls,floors it has to go thru?
Personally, I'd stick with the ethernet.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ethernet-works-wireless-wont-connect.193718/
Relevancy 90.73%

my year old Dell Studio laptop connects fine via wireless to home router and internet but I cannot connect through the ethernet cable I've done the troubleshooting disabled enabled the network adapter updated the drivers I'm using an ethernet cable which normally connects an XP so I know the cable's fine Device Manager says the Realtek PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller is working properly I found the Receive Side Scaling value Enabled so I Disabled that Shut off radio for wireless to I ethernet laptop through internet cable? connect How the do Centrino adapter Disabled wireless adapter too Restarted not only the laptop but also did a shutdown How do I connect laptop to internet through the ethernet cable? then restart of the entire FIOS with Asus Access Point home network with all devices shut How do I connect laptop to internet through the ethernet cable? down Checked BIOS setting didn't see any setting Disabled that appeared like the ethernet controller Can't do system restore I did a Repair installation of windows Home Premium last week but even before then the System Restore failed every time I've never been successful at getting a system restore to work on any XP or pc I've tried it on even though it's enabled and purports to work The laptop had been connected primarily maybe even exclusively via the wireless for years so I quot m not even sure the ethernet has ever been connected before I'd hate to buy a new ethernet controller card if i don't have to only to have the problem be software Any ideas thanks

A:How do I connect laptop to internet through the ethernet cable?

I'd say, inspect the ethernet port on the laptop for bent contact pins. Just for grins and giggles, try another cable. Try attaching the laptop to ANY other network via ethernet cable.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/305552-how-do-i-connect-laptop-internet-through-ethernet-cable.html
Relevancy 90.73%

Last year this acer laptop was being used to at my mums with no problems with wireless internet I then borrowed it from my mum for about a through can only ethernet to to cable internet superhub connect year it was set up in my flat with no issues my mum wanted the laptop back so i took it down to my mums but can only connect to internet through ethernet cable to superhub it wouldnt work unless ethernet cable was attached to superhub even though it states that we have a strong internet connection It doesnt let me browse basically i then phoned virgin and they werent able to resolve problem they said that its not a problem at can only connect to internet through ethernet cable to superhub there end it is a problem with wireless adapter and would have to contact manufacturer iam really not convinced by this and and would appreciate any help that can be offered i am not the most computer literate person and dont have a clue where to begin with this after reading different forums i tried typing cmd into run and from results from this ive copied and pasted these results dont know if this helps Error unrecognized or incomplete command line USAGE ipconfig allcompartments all renew adapter release adapter renew adapter release adapter flushdns displaydns registerdns showclassid adapter setclassid adapter classid where adapter Connection name wildcard characters and allowed see examples Options Display this help message all Display full configuration information allcompartments Display information for all compartments release Release the IPv address for the specified adapter release Release the IPv address for the specified adapter renew Renew the IPv address for the specified adapter renew Renew the IPv address for the specified adapter flushdns Purges the DNS Resolver cache registerdns Refreshes all DHCP leases and re-registers DNS names displaydns Display the contents of the DNS Resolver Cache showclassid Displays all the dhcp class IDs allowed for adapter setclassid Modifies the dhcp class id The default is to display only the IP address subnet mask and default gateway for each adapter bound to TCP IP For Release and Renew if no adapter name is specified then the IP address leases for all adapters bound to TCP IP will be released or renewed For Setclassid if no ClassId is specified then the ClassId is removed Examples gt ipconfig Show information gt ipconfig all Show detailed information gt ipconfig renew renew all adapters gt ipconfig renew EL renew any connection that has its name starting with EL gt ipconfig release Con release all matching connections eg quot Local Area Connection quot or quot Local Area Connection quot gt ipconfig allcompartments Show information about all compartments gt ipconfig allcompartments all Show detailed information about all compartments Can anyone help thanks

A:can only connect to internet through ethernet cable to superhub

Hi and welcome to TSF I have moved you to networking for further help the info you posted is incomplete please follow the instructions here Pre-posting Requirements - for both Wired and Wireless Connectivity Issues
post the info here and please include a screen shot of xirrus wifi inspector this will allow the folks here more info, with which they can try to assist you

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f31/can-only-connect-to-internet-through-ethernet-cable-to-superhub-759473.html
Relevancy 90.73%

Hi i have just joined so new to this. I have just joined TalkTalk and managed to get on the internet only with the Ethernet cable. I'm on windows 7 64bit system, not sure what model the router is. I have tried troubleshooting, restarting, followed instructions but nothing works, i would be sooo happy if you could help

Relevancy 90.73%

Hello

I have a dell inspiron 6400, and yesterday it suddenly was unable to connect to my wireless network. It has been randomly disconnecting from the network for a few weeks now, but I have just restarted my PC and it reconnects.

I can now only connect to my network via an ethernet cable.

Do I need to replace my network adapter? Do I need a new laptop? Is there a way I can fix it manually?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

A:Can't connect to a wireless network without an ethernet cable

and welcome to the Forum

Lets take a peek at your network environment:

First:

Power Cycle everything . . Turn off the Modem, router and all pc's . . turn on the Modem and wait a few minutes for the lights to stabilize . . then turn on the router, then one pc at a time. See if you connect to the internet.

Then:

Remove all the stored wireless network profiles and search for the network again.

How to Remove Stored Wireless Network Profiles for XP, Vista, and Windows 7

Then: check your browser's settings, remove any proxy settings if found here's how.

Then:

with the pc connected to the router, Click on Start . . Run . . type CMD

At the > prompt type type the following command: IPCONFIG /ALL

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter. Come back here and Paste the results in a message.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB drive, or a CD-R disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

then please Download and run this Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector, click the Networks link on the upper left and paste a screen shot of that screen here. Note that this application requires NET Framework to run. If you get an error about a missing function, download and install NET Framework.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/cant-connect-to-a-wireless-network-without-an-ethernet-cable-663997.html
Relevancy 90.73%

I have a Netgear router (WNDR3400)

I have 1 desktop pc (netgear software installed on this)

I have 2 laptops

All 3 pc's are running Windows 7 pro

I need to change the Network Key (password) on the desktop.

Then I need to know what has to be done so both laptop pc's will connect without an ethernet cable.

A:Need help to connect laptops to router without ethernet cable

The manual that came with the Wireless Router has all that information. Basically you put the Router's IP address in your browser's Address bar, looks similar to 192.168.1.1 but last two numbers may be different, hit Enter and should open the page to your Router's Setup. You may need the user name and password, also provided in the manual. Once in you can go to the Wireless section to set up a password or change it if already there. You can also change the Network name but remember it.
The manual:
ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/WN..._23MAR2010.pdf

Then when that is done you fire up the Notebooks and click the Wireless icon in the Notification Area, should show your Router and click to log in with the password you set.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/347922-need-help-connect-laptops-router-without-ethernet-cable.html
Relevancy 90.73%

I have a LaserJetprinter with a bad USB port, and I want to connect it directly to my laptop using the ethernet port. Since there is no internet at this location, I have been using the USB port.

If I connect the printer directly to my laptop what type of cable do I use (crossover?) and what kind of port settings do I use (TCP/IP?) and how do I set this up correctly?

A:how to connect printer via ethernet cable with no router

Hello,

The easiest thing to do would be to but a small 5-Port switch. The newer ones are auto-sensing so you can use either a crossover or a stright through cable.

If your PC doesnt get an IP address from a DHCP Server like a router then you will need to assign a static IP address (i.e. 192.168.0.1). You will then need to set a static IP Address on the printer which is in the same range (i.e. 192.168.0.2).

How to set a static IP on Windows 7 (Steps 6 to 10) :
Setting a Static IP Address in Windows 7 - PortForward.com

Hope that helps.

Dave

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/193945-how-connect-printer-via-ethernet-cable-no-router.html
Relevancy 90.73%

Hello everyone I am writing on behalf of my friend who is having internet problems He recently moved house and he can t get on the internet wireless I ethernet Can't cable connect but wirelessly can through Solved: have suggested all the obvious things i can think of and nothing helped Does anyone Solved: Can't connect wirelessly but can through ethernet cable have any ideas I asked him to do Solved: Can't connect wirelessly but can through ethernet cable IPCONFIG ALL and here is what he got Microsoft Windows Version Copyright c Microsoft Corporation All rights reserved C Users Peter gt IPCONFIG ALL Windows IP Configuration Host Name Peter-PC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Atheros AR EG Wireless Network Adapter Physical Address - -D -D - - DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe d bc a e Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained October Lease Expires October Default Gateway DHCP Server DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Realtek RTL E Family PCI-E Fast Ethern et NIC NDIS Physical Address - E- -DB- E- DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap A - C - D E-B E - CBC br Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description TO Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - E- DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap F - C- D C-A - A D E br D Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes C Users Peter gt nbsp

Relevancy 90.73%

Hi, I recently got Fios installed in my home. I believe there is a box the size of a power box in the back room for the Internet.All my other devices (MAC, iPod, Blueray Player) are able to recieve instant and unbelieveable internet connection except for my Dell. I have a Studio XPS Dell computer with windows 7. I plugged in the ethernet cable in the back of my computer and into the "Fios Box" but i didn't recieve any internet. Then i bought a wireless adapter and I do get internet but it disconnects me like every 5 minutes.

A:Unable to connect to Internet via Ethernet Cable

Hello, and welcome to TSG forums.
You might try to update the driver for your network card.
When you go into device manager, are there any yellow (?) or(!) there?
VicksX

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/unable-to-connect-to-internet-via-ethernet-cable.1023547/
Relevancy 90.73%

Hi all I really hope someone can help me with this before my head implodes I ve had dial-up for years but AOL said they could give me a broadband-quality internet service with a Speedtouch wireless router and an ethernet cable They sent the equipment through I set it up on one laptop at home and it worked fine - miraculous in fact really fast So then I tried to set it up on my partner s laptop Ran the installation software and it got to the point where you connect to connect Trying router via laptop to cable! Ethernet the laptop an Advent to the router and it said it couldn t connect Trying to connect laptop to router via Ethernet cable! The ethernet cable was securely plugged in at both ends but no ethernet light was displaying on the router I called Trying to connect laptop to router via Ethernet cable! AOL and they went through everything - the laptop has an ethernet card and the netware - sorry I really am a total beginner seemed OK ie didn t have any little crosses or question marks beside it when we looked at in in quot systems information quot So the AOL guy said I might need a new ethernet card But I don t see how that s the problem if there s already one in there and it seems to be functional I ll probably go try to buy an ethernet card but this has already cost me quite a bit mostly in phone calls to AOL and I was wondering Trying to connect laptop to router via Ethernet cable! if anyone has any ideas or can confirm that buying the new card is my best option I really appreciate any help you can give nbsp

Relevancy 90.73%

Hi I m trying to set up the new lads computer in our office and I m having a problem with the LAN Im connecting with an ethernet cable and keep getting connect Ethernet using to cable Unable internet to the Unable to connect to internet using Ethernet cable Limited or no connectivity message whilst i m not a computer genius I ve followed a few steps on here so far but got no joy What I ve tried rebooting machine and router with all cables in swapping testing cable using both LAN ports on PC used alternative port on router Ran winsockxpfix flushed dns release dns checked that the relevant services are started in control panel gt services this is what i get when i type ipconfig all which means not much to me Microsoft Windows XP Version copy Copyright - Microsoft Corp C Documents and Settings Chris Harrison gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name Harry Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Broadcast IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Description Intel reg PRO GT Desktop Adapter Physical Address - E- C-C - E- F Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Intel reg DM Gigabit Network Con nection Physical Address - -D - C- D- B Dhcp Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration IP Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway Thats about the limit of what I can find to try so any help would be much appreciated Thanks

A:Unable to connect to internet using Ethernet cable

<<Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.223.161>>

Have a look at the following, please: http://www.wikihow.com/Set-up-DHCP-Network-Settings-on-Windows-XP .

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/478179/unable-to-connect-to-internet-using-ethernet-cable/
Relevancy 90.73%

First hello all..
I'm using Windows Vista Service Pack 2
Before vista i was using windows 7..
When using windows 7 i wasnt have any problem with connecting internet via wireless or ethernet cable..
As i said I'm using using vista service pack 2 and i cant connect internet with ethernet cable..
But with using wireless i can connect internet as well..
I tried the same ethernet cable with different computer with same modem..
And it works..
I think the problem is vista..
So anyone can help me with this problem?
I have serached about this problem before but there is wasnt any solution..
Please help me guys..
Thanks all..

Relevancy 90.73%

Hello guys I recently had problems with my Ethernet internet connection I got admission in University of Cyprus and I am staying in dorms It is great here but my only problem is that I couldn t connect to the internet through Ethernet cable I Called University Apartments Technics Team and after they run some basic tests they come to conclusion that the port and the Ethernet cable was alright So I took my computer to the Computer Store because I thought that my PC was broken They told me that my PC was totally functioning my friend brought his Getaway laptop with windows Can't - limited Ethernet Connectivity Cable though connect and Can't connect though Ethernet Cable - limited Connectivity he was connected fine Fun thing is that every weekend when I go home I connect my laptop to the internet through Ethernet cable and it is working just fine And the same thing happened in the Computer Technical store But for some unknown reason the internet wouldn t connect in the Apartments I reinstalled the drivers I run ipconfing all in the CMD and the Physical Address under Ethernet was - - - - Then I run ipconfig release and ipconfig renew Without any luck I found in internet a program that is randomly changing the MAC Address of the computer but I had no luck there either But after some time I had an amazing idea And I fixed the internet connection issue for ever So I want to share this idea with you NOTE I am not a professional computer engineer so I don t know further stuff about this issue and I don t guarantee that this will work for you But it worked for me and I just want to share it with you Here it is what I have done Run CMD a You can click Windows key R and type CMD b Or you can find it from the start menu by typing CMD After CMD comes up type ipconfig all and hit ENTER A list of internet connections and it s details will pop up Assuming that you have the problem find the Ethernet adapter Ethernet line and under it you should see Physical Address - - - - - That means that you don't have an internet access I don't have - - because i fixed already the internet issue But in your condition To fix that what I did was I connected thought the Wifi to the University s WiFi RUN CMD again and type again ipconfig all This time search the line that shows details about Wireless connection My line is called Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection I think your supposed to be the same Under this line you should see Physical Adderss and digit number like F- -A - Copy that number only right click on the black section of CMD and choose MARK highlight the number and then hit ENTER to copy Open a notepad and past it there Delete the - between the numbers Now go to start Type Administrative Tools click on Settings under the search box if you are using Windows and then click on the Administrative Tools to open it Open Computer Management Open System Tools Open Device Manager Click on Network Adapters Right click on your Ethernet driver name Mine is Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller And select Propertise Click on Advanced tab From the list find the Network Address Under value click the dot near the box IMPORTANT I don t know what is written in this box but for your safety copy the box s content past It In a new Notepad file and save it as Network Mac Address Backup So if for some reason this will not help you you will be able to restore the original settings NOW Final step Go to the first notepad where we copied our Wifi s MAC Address and deleted the - Copy that characters and past them into the box of your Ethernet s Driver Properties That s it Hit OK Close all unnecessary windows Now disconnect your Wi-Fi network and try to open Internet Explorer or Google Chrome After that my internet connection was working just fine

A:Can't connect though Ethernet Cable - limited Connectivity

That was a great deal of work and you described the process very well, so I'm not gonna rain on your parade and correct your misunderstanding. No worries. Network engineering is clearly not your game (right now), but you would do well as either a software tester (under a good manager) or a technical writer of some kind. Keep up the good work!

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/32251-cant-connect-though-ethernet-cable-limited-connectivity.html
Relevancy 90.73%

i just want to know if it is safe to de that cause a friend said that if i did that it would screw up the computers i want to know if it would work or not and if it is also posible to fix one computer that is conected to the other computer to fix this compressed bootmgr thing i got going on
and i am asking about a ethernet cable not a cross over cable

A:is it safe to connect two computers together with one ethernet cable

you can connect two pcs with an ethernet cable - you normally have to use a crossover cable - unless the machine are very modern and have autosensing LAN connections

would need to know more detail about this
and if it is also posible to fix one computer that is conected to the other computer to fix this compressed bootmgr thing i got going onClick to expand...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/is-it-safe-to-connect-two-computers-together-with-one-ethernet-cable.963632/
Relevancy 90.73%

I was on here last night trying to get my laptop to connect to wireless internet. I'm still working on figuring that out with the person I bought the laptop from and I may end up purchasing a wireless card, but now my question is:

Can I connect to the internet right now by using an ethernet network cable plugged into my computer and into the D-link router which my desktop computer already accesses the internet from?

I plugged it in but nothing happened.

Relevancy 90.73%

I cannot connect to the internet with my ethernet cable. The signal is broadcasting fine from my router, so I can connect with my wireless card, but I would rather do it directly with the ethernet. My computer fails to recognize any cable I put in and it says it's missing the driver. Windows can't seem to find my ethernet controller driver either. Thoughts?

A:Can't connect to the internet through ethernet cable. No driver?

Hi Welcome to Seven Forums ... Please fill in your System Specs ..

The Link below will help you achieve this ..
System Info - See Your System Specs
Do you have any errors in the Device Manager ? ....

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/345371-cant-connect-internet-through-ethernet-cable-no-driver.html
Relevancy 90.73%

I have a small problem To Cable? Please To Via Internet Xp Me Tell How Windows Connect Lan/ethernet Pro with Windows XP Pro I need to know why can Please Tell Me How To Connect To Internet Windows Xp Pro Via Lan/ethernet Cable? t it detect Please Tell Me How To Connect To Internet Windows Xp Pro Via Lan/ethernet Cable? my LAN Ethernet cable anymore Would any of you please tell me how to make it instantly connect to the internet without me having to type in my IP address or static-address amp ect in the quot Network Connections quot section of my WinXP Control Panel Background story Recently I got a used-laptop Dell Inspiron which was pre-installed with Windows XP When I plugged my ethernet cord to the back of the computer Please Tell Me How To Connect To Internet Windows Xp Pro Via Lan/ethernet Cable? for the st time it would immediately detected the internet got connected to the internet right away Special Note Of course it was originally set-up to detect the ethernet LAN line cord whenever someone connected the LAN-line Ethernet cord to the back of the computer It detected all of the drivers which are installed on the computer until re-installed Windows on it Ever since I re-installed Windows XP SP on that computer it won t connect to the internet via Mozilla or whatever else I use as a browser It won t let me access the internet even with the ethernet card cable cord connected to it My internet-connection was lost as soon as I re-installed Windows XP Please tell me how to make my Laptop computer instantly detect the ethernet card or drivers like it did before I wiped it s memory amp re-installed XP on it Thanks in advance for your time amp help

A:Please Tell Me How To Connect To Internet Windows Xp Pro Via Lan/ethernet Cable?

When you reinstalled Windows did you install all the hardware drivers?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/172323/please-tell-me-how-to-connect-to-internet-windows-xp-pro-via-lanethernet-cable/
Relevancy 90.73%

So I have been unable to use the internet on my labtop for months I have another labtop that works fine and a ipod touch that connects through wireless that works fine I replaced the wireless card itself so I was able to rule that out Please help me getting it working again This is what i get when i run ipconfig all Microsoft Windows Version Copyright c Microsoft Corporation All rights reserved C Users Chad gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name Chad-PC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Intel R PRO Wireless ABG Network Con nection Physical Address - B- - B-A - D DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe f ad df Preferred Autoconfiguration IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Default Gateway DNS Servers fec ffff fec ffff fec ffff NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Intel R PRO VE Network Connection Physical Address - B- - - -FC DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap D -D D- - C - D C D br E Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - connect ethernet or wireless cable. to Cant through internet - E- DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap F C C - BA- CE- B- BFA br A Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap D E- F C- D -A EC- A A C br A Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap B FB C- B - A -A F -EBC br D Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description TO Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap F DE-A C- CC -AED -C D F br E D Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap F DFEB -A - A -A C- br CA Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled Cant connect to internet through wireless or ethernet cable. No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description TO Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap BF D - E - E - - br A Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description TO Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes PLEASE HELP nbsp

Relevancy 90.73%

I am able to connect with my cable modem using the USB, but the ethernet does not work for some reason

It just started doing this a few hours ago

my ISP is charter communication

modem = Ambit U10CO18

whenever I try to go through ethernet I get "imited or no connectivity"

I need to use the ethernet so I can get my Playstation 3 online

it doesnt work with the PC or PS3 so it isint a PC issue

A:cant connect with cable modem using ethernet cord

If it's not a PC issue then it must be a bad cable or bad ethernet on the modem.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-connect-with-cable-modem-using-ethernet-cord.734324/
Relevancy 90.73%

hello Recently my uncle redid my other laptop to its original out-of-the-box state due to slowness Afterwards when my father plugged in the ethernet cable of Motorola s SBV SURFboard Cable Modem we use the optimum service into the computer the computer icon at the bottom right of the I internet connect ! S P E A H when work L cable even does not ethernet P E the L E screen indicated that the network was unidentified and has only local connections---therefore no internet On the laptop I m on right now the network is correctly recognized P L E A S E H E L P ! internet does not work even when I connect the ethernet cable and has both local AND internet connections Why is that I concluded that since the other laptop is quot redone quot then I must reinstall the installation cd of the modem and I did today All went well in the installation process until the near end where the cd automatically checked to see how the connection was btw the comp and modem It resulted with an error stating something like that invalid or something I forgot Thus my installation attempts of the modem on the other laptop failed I tried to reboot both the comp and modem but still failed I don t understand Why is there limited connectivity I don t even have perfect wireless connectivity I mean both of my laptops have the wireless capability and I can go around the house with the working one and find linkys with one bar of signal But I don t have the wireless modem or something that gives stable wireless connectivity to either of them---only the motorola modem that gives internet to only of the right now What should I do The solution shouldn t be too difficult I am quite young and did my best to solve this problem So I now await for the knowledge of you professionals to aid me thank you nbsp

A:P L E A S E H E L P ! internet does not work even when I connect the ethernet cable

You want to first establish a connection from the laptop to the Motorola modem, with the Linksys router out of the loop. Is the laptop running Windows Vista or XP? When you go to Network Connections or Network and Sharing Center, do you see a LAN?

If you are connecting via an ethernet cord to a cable modem, then you would not need to install any modem. The disk you have for your Motorola modem may be for installing USB drivers in case you were using a USB cable.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/p-l-e-a-s-e-h-e-l-p-internet-does-not-work-even-when-i-connect-the-ethernet-cable.837566/
Relevancy 90.3%

We purchased a new Dell Inspiron laptop running XP Our wireless network worked with our other laptop which is long gone but I can t get this computer to connect wirelessly I can connect if I works but ethernet can't wirelessly, connect system using m plugged in via an ethernet cord from the router to the laptop I ve disconnected all encryption in trying to can't connect wirelessly, but system works using ethernet solve the problem but to no avail We use a Westell DSL modem and a Netgear Wireless router I ve included the ipconfig information below Thank you in advance for your assistance C Documents and Settings Kelly gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name PACK Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List junebug Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix junebug Description Broadcom x Integrated Cont roller Physical Address - D- -A -F -BB Dhcp Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IP Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway DHCP Server DNS Servers Lease Obtained Sunday January PM Lease Expires Monday January PM Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Description Dell Wireless WLAN Mini-Card Physical Address - E- C- -AA-E nbsp

Relevancy 89.87%

Hi
My girlfriends parents have bought a new compaq laptop with windows 7. Connected up to the internet by cable & wireless no problem.
Yesterday couldn't do either and found it nearly impossible to get into the routers settings to check them. Kept saying limited access. I've tried various things to no avail.
Then I noticed that my iphone could connect to the router, so I ruled out a router problem.
I brought the laptop home and it wouldn't connect to our router, so I'm presuming it's a settings problem. But now I'm stuck!

Can anyone help?

Thanks
Mark

Relevancy 89.87%

I have two Apple laptops running well on an Airport Extreme wireless network. I am trying to connect a Dell Windows XP Service Pack 3 to the Airport via a USB to Ethernet LAN cable directly to the Airport for internet access. The Times Warner cable guy hooked it up and it accessed the internet just fine. I have since reformatted and reloaded Windows. I have not changed any of the cable connections. I have tried the Windows Network Wizard and the Airport Utility (which cannot detect the Airport). Windows says I have a "LAN or High-Speed Internet 1394 Connection" connected. However, Windows cannot find any internet access. The cable guy had it hooked up and on the internet in just a couple of minutes. Before I reformatted I noticed another connected network, not the 1394. Please help me get the Dell on the Airport via USB to Ethernet LAN cable for internet access. Thanks in advance for your help.

A:Connect Windows PC to Airport Extreme via Ethernet cable

Install the chipset drivers from your Drivers/Resource CD or, better, from Dell's web site. Use your Service Tag for easier searching. Then check in Device Manager to see if there are still more missing drivers.

EDIT: You probably need the driver for the USB ethernet adapter also.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/connect-windows-pc-to-airport-extreme-via-ethernet-cable.807333/
Relevancy 89.87%

Our house was pre-wired with cat e cable to all rooms but we have never tried to use them until we had fios installed this week Each room has an outlet with rj and coax The Fios router was installed in the closet next to the port cat5e connect won't ethernet to router in cable wire distribution center and cat5e cable won't connect to ethernet port in router when I plug in the cat e cable with an rj connector into the router nothing happens - no light on the router indicating that it recognizes the connection The ethernet connection in the room has the same result - the pc laptop and xbox all were all connected cat5e cable won't connect to ethernet port in router and none of them recognized the ethernet connection I pulled out the outlet plate in the room and the cat e cable is numbered the same as the cat e cable on the other end in the wire distribution closet and I see that they have split the cat e wiring for ethernet and phone pairs to one rj one pair to the other and left the brown pair out which sounds right based on what I have read online about splitting cat wiring for phone ethernet into an rj connector But the online instructions also say that each end of the cable should match and the connector that goes into the wireless router has all wires attached to the rj I would really like to take advantage of the ethernet wiring in the upstairs rooms so that I don t have to buy a wireless card for the pc and the xbox but am not sure about how to check the rj connections I borrowed a cable tester from my neighbor and it shows a red light which indicates a problem but I don t know on which end of the cable Then there is the crossover cable that I read about online where you switch pins if you are not connecting to a hub So is a router a hub As you can see I am not a networking expert but am trying to understand what the problem is before calling in the pros who charge for a service call and an hour I m wondering if I have to buy the tools to strip the cable and punch the wires into the new connector if I may be better off calling someone to do it for me or just buying the wireless cards Thanks for any help you can give me nbsp

A:cat5e cable won't connect to ethernet port in router

You don't need a cross-over cable. A hub, switch and router are similar devices; you do not use a cross-over to connect a computer to any of those. That's the easy part.

You are correct that you only need 4 wires for ethernet (gigabit = 1000 Mbps, however, uses 8). If the correct 4 wires are connected at each end, and they are not broken in the middle somewhere, they should work.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cat5e-cable-wont-connect-to-ethernet-port-in-router.917774/
Relevancy 89.87%

I have Time Warner internet with a cisco modem two weeks ago I hooked up a belkin router so I can use my laptop also. Everything seem to be working fine until a few days ago now the laptop seems okay but the desktop is slower than dail-up. I called Time Warner and they had me connect the desktop directly to the modem by passing the router and all was well but as soon as I went back thur the router the problem was back so they said it must be a problem with the router but my laptop and two printers are working fine with the router just the desktop is having an issue. My question is the modem has an ubs connection and I was wondering if I could use that to hook it to my computer by passing the router.

Relevancy 89.87%

Hi All

This is my First post. i just registered today and try to search but its unsuccessful for me.

Here is my issue. I hope you guys help me

I have 2 PC's both have WinXP Pro. i have one network card port in each pc. so i am disconnecting my pc from internet and trying to connect with my 2nd PC. but its not detecting. i am new with the networking. i am not using any router or hub as i don't have. when i connect with ethernet (CAT 5) cable both pc is not detecting each other. Try to create new network connection but it wont help at all. I need to transfer few files from one pc to another. if you guys have any step by step guide or any kinda help Pls let me know. As i need to transfer file urgently pls.

Thanks in Advance.

A:Can't Share Files when i connect 2 pc with ethernet (CAT5) Cable

Chk local connection on both laptops if the firewall is ON, Disable the firewall or chk if any antivirus shield in not letting you ping both systems if you have then disable the shield.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-share-files-when-i-connect-2-pc-with-ethernet-cat5-cable.73498/
Relevancy 89.87%

For the past couple of years I have been fine with using my ethernet cable until now. I recently installed AVG and after I activated the AVG firewall it stopped windows firewall. I am still connected it says but I can't use any internet browser. Please help.

Relevancy 89.87%

So saturday, my friend and i build my computer. Everything worked just fine that day. Sunday i had no problem connecting to the internet. Sunday is also the day i set up a password for my admin account.

Now when i came back from work monday, i tried to log in to my computer. As it appears, i forgot my password... (same i use on everything, so i must have messed up inputting my pass)

So i did a windows reset, since i had no CD or USB to reset my pass.

I tried installing windows, and it appears 'this copy of windows is not genuine'. I thought, okay, no prob, as long as i have all options.

Relevancy 89.87%

I've been having a problem for the last few weeks where my laptop wasn't recognizing my internet. When it stopped working I could see my connection through the network access, but it always failed to connect and the troubleshooter told me to restart my router. After trying a few times, shutting down and restarting my computer, doing a system restore, and a factory reset twice, I can connect to the internet through an Ethernet cable. However, now my laptop can't even see that any connections are available.

There are other computer in my house, all they all connect just fine. What should I do?

A:Laptop can't connect to the internet unless it's connected to an Ethernet cable

The laptops internal WIFI card has probably failed. You can get around it by using an external USB wifi adapter

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-cant-connect-to-the-internet-unless-its-connected-to-an-ethernet-cable.210264/
Relevancy 89.87%

Hi! I live in a house from the 1800's and it's built out of solid stone, so the wifi doesnt go through the walls. I stretched an ethernet cord to my room and my Toshiba Satellite A665-S6050 will not connect with it. It doesn't even register that there is a cable plugged in. Can anyone help?

A:Toshiba Satellite wont connect with ethernet cable.

Could be the ethernet cable is too long.

Put your laptop next to the router and use a short ethernet cable to see if it works. If it does, it must be the cable length that's the problem.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/toshiba-satellite-wont-connect-with-ethernet-cable.1080873/
Relevancy 89.44%

Hello please help me i have a problem with my Laptop that can't connect ethernet, can LAN, (wireless), USB Can't WIFI connect to my home wifi Another notebook can connect no problem handphone and ipod no problem only this laptop I've just bought the laptop day after that i dont know why become limited and then after i try many way from google become cannot connect to my wifi now already week I CAN CONNECT to my wifi if i bring the modem wifi really near with my laptop and sometimes limited Can't connect WIFI (wireless), ethernet, LAN, USB can sometimes 'connected' but really super slow connection internet i tried from my phone the internet connection good I have wifi in my home the Modem wifi and via USB connect to the ROuter TP-LINK I have tried the third wifi from another person which Can't connect WIFI (wireless), ethernet, LAN, USB can is same type with my modem wifi but still can connect I wonder why I have installed the latest drive in hp website tried changed previous driver re installed times whatever way i can find in google this is the last resort maybe These are the descriptions product HP -r tx windows pro WMC bit driver Ralink RT bgn Wi-Fi Adapter provider mediatek version driver date hardware ids PCI VEN amp DEV amp SUBSYS EC C amp REV PCI VEN amp DEV amp SUBSYS EC C PCI VEN amp DEV amp CC PCI VEN amp DEV amp CC when I connected to ITEZA with superslow connection i tried the troubleshoot problems sometimes it says my connection of router is broken sometimes DNS sometimes nothing particular when Can't connect WIFI (wireless), ethernet, LAN, USB can i tried repairing the computer via quot F - gt boot CD- gt klik repair - gt troubleshoot- gt check conflict there is conflic which is quot net x sys quot if I am not mistaken and that is my driver so i unistall and change the drivers and still no solution Please can anyone help me I'd really appreciate it

A:Can't connect WIFI (wireless), ethernet, LAN, USB can

If this is a new, 1 week old laptop, I would contact tech support for help. You may have a defective wifi adapter. If it is defective, it should be covered under warranty.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/62349-cant-connect-wifi-wireless-ethernet-lan-usb-can.html
Relevancy 89.44%

Hello,
I really need help, please

So, 3 days ago I was connected to my wifi through wireless just fine
But now, whenever I try to connect, it says "unable to connect"
The signal is fine, the password is right, it would try "connecting" but ends up "unable to connect"
Been working fine all along and suddenly this occur

So, I tried to plug in the LAN cable and through the ethernet, it could connect fine!!

I have no idea why this is! PLEASE HELP!!

My computer: WINDOWS XP (32 bit/Home Edition/Version 2002/Service Pack 3)
Wireless: Intel PROSet/Wireless 14.3.1

A:Could not connect to wifi through wireless but could with LAN ethernet

Are there any yellow (!) in the device manager?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/could-not-connect-to-wifi-through-wireless-but-could-with-lan-ethernet.198992/
Relevancy 89.44%

Hi guys,
I have an issue I would like to resolve. I will try to be as clear and precised as possible.
I'm only allowed to one device to an internet. My laptop connects directly to internet WiFi. So the laptop (Windows 10) serves as a hotspot. But I have two other devices I want to connect. A PC (Windows 7) via Ethernet and a smartphone via WiFi.
Right now, I can either share the WiFi in laptop to the PC by bridging, or to smartphone via hospot, but NOT both at the same time. I want to connect both like this;

What should I do?

Thanks

A:I need to connect both Ethernet and WiFi to a Hotspot.

Originally Posted by wtenten

Hi guys,
I have an issue I would like to resolve. I will try to be as clear and precised as possible.
I'm only allowed to one device to an internet. My laptop connects directly to internet WiFi. So the laptop (Windows 10) serves as a hotspot. But I have two other devices I want to connect. A PC (Windows 7) via Ethernet and a smartphone via WiFi.
Right now, I can either share the WiFi in laptop to the PC by bridging, or to smartphone via hospot, but NOT both at the same time. I want to connect both like this;

What should I do?

Thanks

Your wifi is solved but for the ethernet part, you would need a wifi to ethernet adapter like this one.

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/47609-i-need-connect-both-ethernet-wifi-hotspot.html
Relevancy 89.44%

Hello, I've been trying to connect my internet to the WIFI, but it keeps saying that I need to connect it to the Ethernet. My wifi button is orange, and even if i press it to airplane mode and back, it still is orange and not white. I tried to restart my computer a few times and it still won't connect saying there isn't any WIFI available. I'm using my sister's laptop and obviously the internet is working overall but just not my laptop. When I am at home in Madison, I use my laptop with ethernet, but when i'm at my parents house, i use the wifi and it usually works fine and connect right away but its not working right now.

A:Wifi not working, wants to connect to ethernet

Hello @NemoVang, Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums, I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More. I came across your post about the WiFi issue, and wanted to help!  I understand that usually the notebook will connect, but not currently. To start, can you provide me with the Product Number of the notebook?  Here is a link you can use that will help you find your Model and Product Number:HP Customer Support - Products First, try reviewing the following steps, offered by community member @Great-Deku-Tree: First, we have a step by step guide to walk you through the troubleshooting process here: Troubleshooting Your Wireless Network and Internet Connection A second option, is to try these steps:Powercycle the network:1. Shut down your notebook.2. Unplug the power to your router.3. Unplug the power to your modem.4. Wait at least 45 seconds.5. Plug in the modem, and wait for it to come back online.6. Plug in the router, and wait for it to come back online.7. Turn on your notebook, and test your connection.Disable the Power Off option for the adapter:1. Open Device Manager. (Win Key+R > type devmgmt.msc > OK)2. Expand the Network adapters.3. Right click on the Ethernet/Wireless Adapter and click Properties.4. Click the Power Management tab.5. Remove the check mark beside Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.6. Click OK.7. Test.Reset the TCP/IP settings on your PC:1. Go to your start screen/menu and type CMD.2. Right click on the command prompt icon and chose Run as administrator.3. In the window that opens type "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt" without quotes, and press enter.4. Restart your PC and test.It may also help to reset the winsock catalogue:1. Go to your start screen/menu and type CMD.2. Right click on the command prompt icon and chose Run as administrator.3. In the window that opens type "netsh winsock reset" without quotes, and press enter.4. Restart your PC and test.Reinstall the network adapter drivers:1. Download the drivers from here but do not run them yet.2. Go to your start screen/menu and type Device Manager.3. Expand Network adapters.4. Right click on the wireless adapter and choose Uninstall.5. Run the downloaded drivers from step 1.6. Restart your PC and test.Test an ethernet connection:Self explanatory. Test if the issue persists on a wired connection to rule out the wireless adapter hardware so troubleshooting can be directed towards the right areas.Test another connection:Many people rule out their home network as an issue if another device is working on the same network. Networking is not that simple. Each device interacts differently with your router or modem and it is impossible to rule out settings in that device until the notebook has been tested on another network.If those three steps do not resolve the issue, try this document published by Microsoft for networking issues: Wired and wireless network problems. You can change the operating system with the dropdown in the upper-right corner of the document. Source: Common fixes for wireless connectivity issues. Please let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution", this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the Thumbs up below is a great way to say thanks! Have a great day!

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/Wifi-not-working-wants-to-connect-to-ethernet/td-p/5666395
Relevancy 89.44%

Hello- I am trying to troubleshoot a network connectivity issue for my Mom amp Dad's laptop It is an HP -bit running Windows Up until this morning it was able ethernet-can wifi Can't see connect networks or with to connect to wi-fi My mother was on the internet with no problems They have my-fi with AT amp T and my dad's laptop and tablet connect fine We have tried restarting the HPtaking the battery out uninstalling the wi-fi network adapter restarting and letting it reinstallforgetting the networkmanually adding the network back Can't connect with wifi or ethernet-can see networks in and nothing worked So I took the laptop back to my house and connected it directly into my router via Ethernet cable but to my surprise it showed connected but no internet connection I ran the troubleshooter and it Can't connect with wifi or ethernet-can see networks said that quot Ethernet quot doesn't have a valid IP config I restarted the laptop with the ethernet plugged in but it came back up with limited connectivity and the same error message I tried connecting to my wifi at my house and again it sees the various networks but will not connect I get a message when I hit the connect button that it is Checking network requirements but then after about - seconds it says Can't connect to this network All of the other laptops pc's tablets and phones are connecting just fine I used to work on a help desk about years ago but the only Windows experience I have is with their laptop so I am a complete idiot when comes to Windows and I'm very rusty when it comes to everything else so please be gentle I have gone thru the forums looking for the same issue and have found several similar either without a solution or the solution has not worked for me If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it Thanks- Sandi

A:Can't connect with wifi or ethernet-can see networks

-are all of the drivers for the adapter up to date?
-have you tried doing a full master reset on the router?

If your fathers internet is fine but the mothers is not it has to be with the adapter somehow. I have had adapters in the past that randomly start to quirk up and then randomly start working fine before it can be strange I know. How old is this adapter anyway? Most adapters ( with heavy use of course ) only lasts around six months to a year, with moderate use they generally do good for about up to about five years.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/49356-cant-connect-wifi-ethernet-can-see-networks.html
Relevancy 89.44%

Greetings, for some reason, I have not been able to connect to modem, with hi speed internet, just wifi,can someone please help me with this. I have connected Samsung support  several times, they had said it was a driver, and after many attempts were able to update the driver, toredo tunneling , system worked for a short time, then reverted to wifi. Thanks to anyone who can help.
 Samsung NP300 Laptop
 4 gig mem, intel premium processor, Windows Home Premium version with SP1, 64 bit program

Thanks,
   Jim

A:Please help, can not connect to modem with ethernet , just wifi

What's your Ethernet setup? Modem to router to PC?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/553133/please-help-can-not-connect-to-modem-with-ethernet-just-wifi/
Relevancy 89.44%

Internet on A Compaq PC through the despised Time Warner has worked marginally for years About months ago installed a Netgear WNR cable modem by wireless can't works connect to internet but cable PC which also worked fine when TW s signal worked We thought apparently incorrectly it was the cable from the cable modem About a week ago the PC internet stopped working TW s PC can't connect to internet by cable but wireless works technician came this morning and fooled around and states that the problem is in the PC As part of that process he installed a new cable modem which someone clueless like me would think was PC can't connect to internet by cable but wireless works not necessary since wireless was working but perhaps he thought the port was bad and a new cable to the PC The computer used XP Home SP ver There is no firewall Tc PIP is set to identify signals automatically Windows Firewall is off Device Manager claims that the adapters are working properly The Network adaptor incidentally is REaltek RTL Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC For quite some time the ethernet card on this PC has been nonfunctioning however USB works as verified by usb cables being plugged in and the computer trying to install new hardware and the printer working For quite some time also even when it was functioning the toolbar icon for the network has been Xd out with the message quot Local Area Connection A network cable is unplugged quot It gives that reading now but again gave it before even when the internet was working I read your old post from Paranoid and tried the ping suggestions but could not get the readout of the IPCONFIG all to stay put long enough to either read or copy -Oh Wait - went to the command prompt and did it - please see below Any thoughts of why the PC is now not being seen by Time Warner according to the Time Warner tech and why it is not recognizing the internet QQQQ PING Destination host unreachable Destination host unreachable Destination host unreachable PING yahoo com blank command window opens and then closes in about one second NBTSTAT -n blank command window opens and then closes in about one second IPCONFIG ALL host name your-sx x sefxo Primary Dos Suffix Mode type Hybrid IP routing Enabled NO WINS Proxy Enabled No Ethernet adapter Local ARea Connection Media State Media disconnected Description Realtek RTL Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC Physical Address - - B- - - nbsp

Relevancy 89.44%

I have this major issue with my MSN messenger (on my PC) whenever I connect it to a ethernet switch so I could use it (my PC) with my Laptop, so together both have internet connection.. my MSN messenger works fine and it could sign in easily, but when I disconnect my ethernet switch and connect to just my modem, my MSN messenger says it could not connect to the internet or that there's no internet connection where there is! (I forgot which error code but its well known, I've searched before and it said it could be the anti-virus etc but I have no problems with my anti-virus and programs it monitors). Anyone know how to stop this stupid silly error with Live Messenger?

A:Live Messenger works when I connect it to a Ethernet switch?

Can you ping google.com once you use the modem? You might not be authenticating to the WWW properly and Msn is blinded with connectivity by the modem being unable to do so.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/live-messenger-works-when-i-connect-it-to-a-ethernet-switch.133035/
Relevancy 89.01%

I can't connect wirelessly only with cable. I had no problems connecting via WiFi until recently. In "Manage Wireless Networks" it says "Wireless is not currently enabled"
Help please!

A:Can't Connect To The Internet Via WiFi, But Can With Cable

Please post some relevant specs on your computer.
Retail? Homebuild? Desktop? Laptop? Age of computer?
What have you already done to try to fix the problem? That way we don't waste time explaining how to do things you have tried already.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/629989/cant-connect-to-the-internet-via-wifi-but-can-with-cable/
Relevancy 89.01%

Hi great site idea I m having a strange issue regarding internet Moved country Ireland to Australia PC had never caused any issues before and was connected to net via a wireless adapter Moved to Australia set up PC everything seems fine apart from not being able to connect to Internet Wireless - when I plug wireless adapter into usb port toolbar displays Monitor with red x so i double click and to view network list but my network isn t available but my neighbors one shows up even though according to the status of wireless network connections adaptor is internet connect Solved: or Wireless wont to PC cable Ethernet via quot Not connected quot but my network is a very strong signal and am actually using it right now on Solved: PC wont connect to internet via Wireless or Ethernet cable my notebook to send this mail so adaptor s Solved: PC wont connect to internet via Wireless or Ethernet cable sees asnother network but not my network which is metre away Ethernet Cable - Plug in cable but nothing happens no change on toolbar nothing in Network Connections Tried internet with but doesn t work stumped Am I making a simple schoolboy error here Checked Device Manager and there is a yellow question mark at Other Devices opened that and inside yellow question mark and exclamation mark over quot other PCI Bridge quot and quot Video Controller VGA Compatible Any advise cant update any drivers as I cant get PC online obviously Thanks in advance nbsp