Windows Support Forum

Down/Up bandwidth issues for single user account

Q: Down/Up bandwidth issues for single user account

Hello New to the forums here Did some searching and couldn't figure out my issue so I figured I'd start a new post I am having an issue where my bandwidth seems very limited on only one user account I normally can get - Mb s down - Mb s up which is what issues user account bandwidth Down/Up for single I am paying for Recently I have been getting lt Mb s down - Mb s up I Down/Up bandwidth issues for single user account am running a wireless network all other devices run at good speeds Things that I've done to trouble shoot -Reset wireless router -Comcast refresh signal -Ran Microsoft Security Essentials full scan found a problem with Java fixed it I think Re-ran scan after cleaned comes up normal -Created Test user with Admin privileges when testing via speedtest net I get normal performance with new user Mb s down -CC cleaner -Turned off Windows firewall no change -Boot into safemode brings back good performance to main user account -Very few Processes running in task manager all seem to check out as normal -Drivers are all updated Any thoughts Occasionally it will jump up to normal for a short time but will return to slow speeds eventually If it helps this is what I am using Windows i EVGA ti Boost GB Ram TP-Link PCI wireless card Thanks for any help

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Down/Up bandwidth issues for single user account

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Down/Up bandwidth issues for single user account

How far are you from the access point when you're using that account? Also have you checked UAC settings? That might have something to do with it.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/493920/downup-bandwidth-issues-for-single-user-account/
Relevancy 75.25%

Intel i7, Windows 7, HP 6000 printer, Word 2007, Works 4.5a.
I have three user accounts but can only print on the administrative account in which I installed the printer. I installed it as shown below but it still will not print in the other two user accounts. I wish to have my grandchildren use this printer from the guest account.
Devices and Printers
Printer properties
Sharing tab
Sharing this printer is checked
Security tab
Permissions for everyone
Print allow is checked.
In addition to Word 2007 I installed a Win95 copy of works and it will only print in the one account also so I am sure it is a Windows 7 software problem.
any ideas?

A:Print only in single user account.

Did you shut down and boot up again when you gave your kids account permission?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/41058-print-only-single-user-account.html
Relevancy 74.39%

Can I simplify first time setup as follows: since I am the only user, can I set up a single user account with administrative privileges and no password, given I have no microsoft account just local? If I do not need a password, how do I set it up without one? If I do that, will it complicate being the administrator? Thanks for any help!

EDIT: I will be using Windows 8, Home edition

A:Setup-single user account with no password?

Hello JoGirl, and welcome to Eight Forums.

Yes. You would just need to set it up using a "Local" account instead of a "Microsoft" account. Only with a local account can you leave the password fields blank to not have one.

The only issue with it being an administrator account without a password protection would be a security issue of everyone being able to use the account since there is no password they must type before being allowed to.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/15263-setup-single-user-account-no-password.html
Relevancy 69.66%

Hello Since I bought this computer I've had issues I started by creating a user with my personal email address but then thought I wanted it for work so I deleted the Microsoft account associated Windows Account/Microsoft Issues... Account 8 User with that email and created another with Windows 8 User Account/Microsoft Account Issues... my work email However I've noticed that Windows 8 User Account/Microsoft Account Issues... some of the apps aren't working correctly and needed to use my personal email again For awhile Microsoft accounts wouldn't allow deleted accounts from coming back but it appears it's working now So now I have a Microsoft account with my personal email address but the primary user on my PC is still associated with the work Microsoft account I can't find a way to change this and it's causing problems since that email doesn't exist anymore Is there any way to change the Microsoft account that's associated Windows 8 User Account/Microsoft Account Issues... with a single user The only other thing I could think of would be to create a new user promote to admin and swap everything over manually before completely removing the user associated with my old work email I tried this but when attempting to log into the new user it says quot cannot login please visit accounts live com to fix the issue quot However whenever I go there and log into the new users account there's no instruction on what to do or any indication that there's something wrong So I need to be able to do one of two things Switch the Microsoft account associated with the primary user on this PC or Find out how to log into the new user's account without any issue Please help -Joshua

A:Windows 8 User Account/Microsoft Account Issues...

As far as the Metro Apps go, I'd try uninstalling them and then reinstalling them.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/31077-windows-8-user-account-microsoft-account-issues.html
Relevancy 64.5%

Hello Folks I'm in Stockholm Sweden living with a friend while I study To repay her kindness I've been helping her with various things around the house One of those things involves computers She has a Dell computer running Windows Professional She received this computer which was originally destined for the Mexican embassy here in Stockholm from a friend The friend said that she would never be able to default her user account for start up My ego Issues Account User and I agreed this was an oversight and proceeded to 'delete' the Mexican account Now when I start up it auto-defaults to the Mexican account which isn't 'there ' When that fails it kicks me back to the user log-in page There it displays the Mexican account or 'log in with another account' option If I type in the name of the other users I left I can log in otherwise I only see the Mexican account Once I log into the desktop and User Account Issues log out it User Account Issues shows the 'proper' result of her account the one I credit for myself and the guest account My question how do I un this situation And is it possible to truly 'delete' this Mexican account so this doesn't happen Thanks for any User Account Issues help provided and time given Humbly Comrade

A:User Account Issues

Hello Comrade,

Double check in netplwiz to see what account it may have selected to automatically log on to at startup. You may need to change this to the account she wants instead.

Log On Automatically at Startup

Hope this helps for now,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/345720-user-account-issues.html
Relevancy 64.5%

i'm having trouble deleting accounts in the program files/users file. this was a second hand computer with vista on it. i also can't make it stop asking me for permission to make changes. i've turned off UAC to no avail. i downloaded the "take ownership" thing for right clicking...took ownership and still can't delete it. i also unlocked the hidden administrator account like you said. these accounts that i want to delete don't show up when i turn on the computer. one of them is for the guy who had the computer first.

A:user account issues

Hello Chuck, and welcome to Vista Forums.

I would recommend to reinstall Vista to start fresh again. There's just no telling what else may be installed on the computer.

What is the brand and model # of the computer? I'll be happy to see if I can find instructions on how you can do a factory restore on it.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/298780-user-account-issues.html
Relevancy 64.5%

I have an HP all in one that only shows one user (Guest) and it is password protected. It will boot. I have tried many ways to get logged in as administrator and all have failed. I know the password for the administrator account is blank. Since I cannot see the administrator icon at boot, I cannot select it. Any ideas?

A:User Account Issues

This may help.

Built-in Administrator Account - Enable or Disable in Windows 8

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/59694-user-account-issues.html
Relevancy 64.5%

Hello I seem to have lost all my files, music and apps in my W10 user account. I am unable to click on the start menu, the only way I can get any function from it is to right click on it. The start menu does not seem to work on any of the accounts Any help I would be very gratrefull

Relevancy 64.5%

Hello I have a thinkpad z t with XP fully updated It s joined with Issues account user certain to a domain I m having some strange problems with it when a user logs in I ll first preface this saying that when I log in everything is fine When this other user logs in There is no sound The hardware profile shows the sound device as functioning without problems When I go to the sound control panel it says there is no sound device Network drives do not mount This is a domain machine which mounts drives Issues with certain user account via a login script These drives do not mount for this user I cannot mount a new network drive When I try to map a drive say Z to a UNC path say servername share it fails When doing this repeatedly it either says that a drive isn t functioning properly and can t map or there is a problem with the network I can go to Start run and get to servername share just fine I imagine that points amp are related The user is an admin on the machine No virus spyware that I know of She did get a windows error pop up when I logged out that said LLactrlw exe encountered a problem I googled and couldn t find that I did find DLACTRLW EXE which is part of a Roxio CD DVD authoring suite It relates to drive letter mapping Which makes sense as to why I can t map something to Z I went to msconfig and looked at the startup list I m starting to hate thinkpads There is about startups in there All stupid thinkpad crap I can start shutting this off but it still doesn t explain why my account is fine and hers is bad We are both admins Same domain Etc I might delete her c DocSettings username folder so it creates a fresh user setting Any other suggestions Thanks -Jeff nbsp

A:Issues with certain user account

If you don't use roaming profiles, try rename the user's local profile and then have her log in again to create a new local profile. Might be something in the local profile has become corrupt.

If you do use roaming profiles...Well there's always the fresh start option. ^__^

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/issues-with-certain-user-account.574150/
Relevancy 64.5%

Just today I turned on my PC and it came up to my login and requested my password. What used to happen was I got a screen that showed 3 different user selections. Mine, my daughters and the guest account. Now all I get is mine and I have a switch user button below the login. If I click that I get a screen asking for username and password. I can enter my daughters name and login fine but when I go back to switch users it take me to her login and I have to click on the switch user again and enter all my info. What happened here?? I want to get the screen back that showed all available user selections when booting up, logging off or switching users. Please help !!

A:Help with User account issues!!

Go into safe mode by tapping F8 key as soon as you have turned on your PC. Select Administrator account which is bulit in the Safe mode and from the Control Panel select User Accounts. Delete and remake every one of them, and that should work.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/132547-help-user-account-issues.html
Relevancy 63.64%

I New Account User Issues Login did a clean install of Windows Home Premium bit some months back and created following users account - User admin User admin Guest account standard default Admin default Till recently none of the other accounts were ever used I was using Users with admin privileges I have noticed that none of the account including default Guest and Admin accounts work Upon trying to log it returns with following error New User Account Login Issues The User Profile Service failed the logon User profile cannot be loaded I deleted all the non functional account but default Admin account which again doesn t work Created new account via CP with no success Even newly created Guest Account default throws the same error I searched the forum for solution and found that I need to manually delete SID key I don t understand what I need to delete and attaching the screenshot for perusal To recap I currently have just login Default Admin and created cmc admin Help appreciated

A:New User Account Login Issues

Hello cimage.

You have more than 1 account named administrator? I wouldn't even use it for one account, causes too many conflicts.

Have a look at the tutorial at the link below; it was written for Vista but the topic is relevant for Windows 7 also.

The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded. - Vista Forums

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/70792-new-user-account-login-issues.html
Relevancy 63.64%

Hey first let me thank the members of tsf com the site has helped me with many problems over a few years normally I just search Account & User Issues Registry the forums for my problem and am able to come to some sort of resolution from there but this time I cannot seem to find anything similar here My problem started with a BSOD boot problem on my laptop because of a broken registry hive I managed User Account & Registry Issues to fix the problem by replacing the security and software hive with the copies found in windows repair That allowed me to boot but now I'm experiencing some different problems which I'm sure are a direct result Firstly when windows loads on the laptop I am as expected shown the welcome screen with the user selection Everything appears normal and the users are displayed correctly The first time I logged on to each account after I quot fixed quot my BSOD problem the small dialogue box appears that is normally shown on an accounts first run the one that says things like quot Configuring settings for Internet Explorer quot and then once the profile is loaded it appears like a new account on the machne with default settings the My Documents folder is empty default desktop background etc Shortcuts in the start menu which is populated exactly as pre-problem state do not work and the programs must be run directly from their executables When I looked at the HDD everything seems to be intact and the only problem I can see is that instead of loading the 'username' profile from Documents amp Settings it appears to have instead loaded 'username computer name' which did not exist previously the 'username' folder is what i expected with documents desktop etc correct for the username and 'username computer name' appears to be a new account Any ideas On another note when I boot I'm always given the OS choice selection menu which consists of three Windows XP options each exactly the same so I'm assuming I need to somehow fix the boot ini file but dont know exactly what to do Any help or input would be massively helpful to me as I use my laptop for college work and studying so is quite essential and although I can easily access it I would rather have my machine in its pre-problem state

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/user-account-and-registry-issues-333781.html
Relevancy 63.64%

Does anyone know of a method to approve apps to pass User Access Control?

I use Thunderbird for my email. Each time I open it, UAC prompts me for permission. Is there any way to grant permission to individual apps without shutting down UAC altogether? I've researched enough to think that it may be possible - but I'm still unsure of the exact "how".

I've eliminated the UAC prompt at the wife's office by adding the UNC path (to their file server) to the Intranet sites in IE7. But this doesn't seem to work with local files on my home system. It may be a case of my screwing up the syntax tho'.

Any suggestions?

A:User Account Control Issues

I seen several statements to the fact that there is no way to white-list a program for UAC:The reason UAC doesn't allow "blessing" of an executable is becuase it would allow lower-privileged applications to start blessed higher-privileged applications and abuse them. Imagine the (likely) common case of a user blessing a command prompt to always run as administrator. A lower-privileged application could thus start the always-trusted command prompt and use it to elevate its privilege level and abuse the system.There should be some way to modify certain paths or actions to not need admin privileges but I do not know how.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/81534/user-account-control-issues/
Relevancy 63.64%

I built a new PC to be used primarily for gaming purposes, so I installed Windows 8 Pro onto 128GB SSD. I wanted to move my User profile to my HDD, and followed the directions posted here: User Profiles - Relocate to another Partition or Disk

after doing this and exiting Audit mode, Windows acted as if I had were installing the OS and wanted a product key. I skipped this step, went through the configuration, but when I used my email for my Windows account, it says that a user is already using that account on my PC. Obviously, because I had been using my computer earlier today. So since it knows there is a user with that account, why can't I access it when I start my computer? A friend of mine says I may have installed Windows twice on accident, but he isn't sure. Help would be much appreciated.

A:Windows 8 User account issues

Did you only move the Users folder?

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/28925-windows-8-user-account-issues.html
Relevancy 63.64%

This is happening loads on my new laptop. Family settings down and Cortana summary screen just spinning. Is this an MS side issue as the machine is doing this more often than not. Sometimes everything is fine but I just don't understand it really. Yesterday evening everything was working as it should. Today the problems are back. Anything MS relates is slow. for example even trying to get into outlook.com takes ages

Store is taking ages to check for updates too. Everything else internet related is absolutely spot on and working fine

Googling around shows its not an uncommon issue but no real solutions. Mentions of make sure your machine is verified. But mine is, always has been and same for the user accounts. Is there a way of re verifying it. There is no option under my account in settings.

A:User account and family issues

Ignore the bottom pic relating to indexing, accidentally attached this and cannot delete it!

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/45165-user-account-family-issues.html
Relevancy 63.64%

Hello everyone Anyhow i have problems with UAC account setting - I can only disable (UAC) issues Account User Control UAC account via msconfig - If using Control Panel I am not able to click any link that has the shield logo beside it The window will appear and User Account Control (UAC) issues simply dissappear seconds User Account Control (UAC) issues after By using the standard Administrator setting User Account Control (UAC) issues not the true Administrator access - I cannot perform Windows Update Error - I cannot log-in to Windows Messenger Same error message - I can connect to my wireless router but the icon is showing as 'not connected' - So far i found out that i cannot change the sound and mouse setting - I cannot uninstall program - i cannot change my anti-virus setting Question - Are the above is what is supposed to happen when using standard Administrator setting If no - Should I consider Vista repair or clean re-install If yes - I would like to have UAC security but with true Administrator access Is this possible If so should I consider enable the built-in Administrator and set-up password Many thanks

A:User Account Control (UAC) issues

Hello Ymi7, and welcome to Vista Forums.

With those issues, you might consider doing a System Restore using a restore point dated before these problems or a repair install.

The built-in administrator account is the only one with true full power, but UAC is not active in this account. A standard administrator account has the same power, but you just have to approve an administrator action with UAC first before it is allowed.

Hope this helps some,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/system-security/212922-user-account-control-uac-issues.html
Relevancy 63.64%

Wow what a frustrating day Well my problems started when I began setting up a multi-room Issues User Sharing Account Sonos audio system The system User Account Sharing Issues is great but the software just would not let me add a shared folder to create the library Whilst I was installing the software it tried to do a couple of things to windows to enable the installation E g Set sleep time to never and add it as an approved programme through the fire wall Neither of these worked and I had to do them myself before the installation would carry on So I rang Sonos support who tried a few things and then we discovered that although I had administrator rights on that account I could not do quite a few things For example if I go into control panel user accounts I cannot add or remove a user account I cannot change my user type or name etc etc When I click these links nothing happens It seems there is some kind of user account corruption going on I created a new account amp that works fine with both the Sonos software and I can also make the account changes I would expect It seems a massive job though to transfer all my settings from one account to another Any clues as I am out of inspiration

A:User Account Sharing Issues

If you're using the 32-bit version, Windows Update provides a fix for the permissions problem.

If that doesn't apply,

Right-click on the drive letter, choose properties, click the Security tab, , click the Edit button, select your username in the list and check the Full Control checkbox.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/79870-user-account-sharing-issues.html
Relevancy 63.21%

Hello I'm having a problem understanding how the User Accounts work and keeping certain things only for the Admin account and others for my own Safe Use restricted account and the Guest account Problem that sparked these questions is that I had set everything up with a pre-install of Vista from the manufacturer I've been running as Admin for the most part and downloaded Firefox I've obviously created a Safe Use restricted account and enabled the Guest account Then I copied over the the bookmarks html file and User Bookmarks FF Account/Data issues over from my old HD Well using my admin account I have everything I need The problem is that all the accounts on User Account/Data issues and FF Bookmarks my system have the same bookmarks I also have no idea what a Roaming folder is and how it differs from a Local Why is there a Default account AND an Administrators account And what is a Public account Any light that can be shed or online resources explaining things that can be pasted will be greatly appreciated Thanks

A:User Account/Data issues and FF Bookmarks

The default account has basic settings that get loaded/copied over when a new account logs on for the first time. So for example if you want a new user to have specific shortcuts in their start menu or desktop whenever they get their new account, you can put that in the default profile.
Dunno about public.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/user-account-data-issues-and-ff-bookmarks-322976.html
Relevancy 63.21%

So I am very familiar with windows and stuff and for obvious security reasons I don't want to use a an administrator account just to browse the net and do day to day activities like most people do and then wonder why they have malware So I have installed some software from the administrator account that was originally created during install and then I changed that account to a standard user account and created a separate administrator privileged account named admin All should be good right When windows starts up now in the standard user account that I want to use most of the time I need to use my password for certain startup programs like core temp i e you have to verify you want to them to run using the administrative password What if I don't want to do this I just want them to run without the password I tried going in and changing the permissions to allow full control for authenticated users and my standard user account but it still asks for a password on log on Is On Startup User Issues Account Limited there any way around this Thanks in Advance

A:Limited User Account Issues On Startup

Perhaps you are refering to the user account Control. To disable it: Turn User Account Control on or off.

After that, there will be no more prompts for your password for anything, however, limited account will still have lower permissions than an administrator and therefore not be able to access everything, as you already know.

To just turn the settings down (less prompts), use this tutorial found on this very forum: User Account Control - UAC - Change Notification Settings

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/139428-limited-user-account-issues-startup.html
Relevancy 63.21%

I did a cursory search for this issue and didn t find anything so if there is an existing topic I apologize in advance My old IDE hard drive at least yrs old is seeing it s waning days of operation so I decided to move my operating system and all of it s many this s and that s which over such a long time are hard to Solved: Account cloning issues after User replace in a fresh install over to one of my much newer SATA drives So I used a program called XXClone Solved: User Account issues after cloning to clone my entire IDE drive about GB to a Solved: User Account issues after cloning partition on one of my SATA drives A bit slow but it went very well I have several user accounts in XP My main one is administrator and the others are limited use to keep the kids from Solved: User Account issues after cloning messing with things they shouldn t My main account works just fine I ve yet to find any problems or errors pop up on it The other accounts however aren t working properly Specifically the limited user accounts will not run Firefox without an error message popping up that says it can t access security settings Also the bookmarks are all missing Outlook express also will not load at all and would give me the following messages quot Outlook Express could not be started The application was unable to open the Outlook Express message store Your computer may be out of memory or your disk is full quot followed by quot Outlook Express could not be started because MSOE DLL could not be initialized Outlook Express may not be installed correctly quot Now when I enable administrator level on these user accounts they work just fine But when I revert back to limited account mode I get the problems again I am guessing there is one thing that is disallowing access to the user settings and administrator overrides this I can t figure out what it is though I have tried making Application Data not read-only but it doesn t work Anyone have an idea how I could fix this to work like it does on the original dirve nbsp

A:Solved: User Account issues after cloning

The first thing I would try would be redo the clone. It should work perfect right away, if it doesn't, something went wrong during cloning.

Another thing I do before cloning or imaging XP is to do a registry tweak. XP keeps track of all partition positions and sizes and can fail to boot or display other strange behavior if moved.

What I do just before shutting down to do the clone is open the registry to the place in the attached pic, and delete everything in the right side pane that will delete. Then, after cloning/imaging, xp will just rebuild those registry entries during the first boot.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-user-account-issues-after-cloning.831430/
Relevancy 63.21%

I run XP Pro After having several issues with the computer rebooting I think it s fixed I found a new Administrator user folder that was created somehow I issues System restore User account & ve compared the creation dates of MY user account and this other Administrator folder This new user folder WAS called User account & System restore issues Administrator OFFICE I deleted the old Administrator user folder and renamed the office to plain Administrator My computer s name is OFFICE The date stamp that it was created is Nov at am MY user account was created on Oct at am I looked in the Office folder and it is MB in size It contains desktop favorites my documents start menu folders the normal view ones The hidden folders are Application data Local Settings Nethood Printhood Recent Sendto and Templates It also has two files at the root of the office folder NTUSER dat and NTUSER vcd Here s another issue I have two user accounts on my computer besides the Administrator account Samual and Sonda my gf s account is a limited one When I use the WINDOWS key L to lock the computer or switch user either account gets asked for a password There is no password set on either of those accounts I have checked it multiple times I have tried to use System Restore to revert back say to when I did the fresh install of XP BUT each one fails System Restore is not working at all Due to the constant failures of System Restore I simply turned it off Any advice Btw if anyone needs the info about what has been done the link is Virus causing computer to reboot

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/427230/user-account-system-restore-issues/
Relevancy 62.35%

Hi all I recently formatted my drive and did a fresh legit reinstall of XP I ve been trying to run a very tight ship since issues limited access user account file then among other things doing my daily work in a limited account I have a large number of files that I backed up from my previous admin account and have copied over to my newly formated drive and which I now limited user account file access issues need to access regularly as a limited user Mostly this works okay but I ve found that for a lot of my files I just can t get write access to as a limited user These are just random text and image files -- not anything significant or limited user account file access issues sensitive They re not being used by any other process If I switch accounts and open them as admin then I can write to them Otherwise not I noticed that after I initially copied all these files back onto my drive they were flagged as read only I changed that in the Admin account and now there s no read only flag when I check the properties as a limited user However I still don t have any write permission Any insight would be apprecited Cheers FP nbsp

A:limited user account file access issues

Welcome to TSG!

I suspect you need to take ownership of the files from the limited account.
First, change the limited account to a Computer Administrator account
Follow the steps in this article to take ownership of the files:
How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP

Then, change the account back to a Limited Account.

HTH

Jerry

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/limited-user-account-file-access-issues.837438/
Relevancy 62.35%

I deleted (or duh leted long story) a user account when it was still logged in (I know I know stupid). I have a folder that was created by this user with thousands of files in it. Found the user in the registry using regedit (see attachments). If I delete the user in regedit will all the users permissions go away so then can I just delete the folder. I cannot do it right now and when I try to edit permissions or inherit permissions or replace child object permission entries I get errors when the permissions are trying to change so that does not work either (see attachments).

Thanks in advance

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/46295-duh-leted-user-account-when-still-logged-security-issues.html
Relevancy 62.35%

I have one user who cannot print to one printer. I logged in as local admin, added the printer and it still would not work. I deleted all the printers and readded them. I stopped and restarted the print spooler and made sure all of the other users could print fine. I still cannot print. The print job just hangs in the que and once in a while I will get an error. Can anybody help?

Thanks.

A:Cannot Print/ Single User, Single Printer

Is it a network printer or a local printer?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cannot-print-single-user-single-printer-298214.html
Relevancy 61.92%

hi,
A may be easy question for who knows..
User Account Control on: "Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer"" doesnt allow me to use my scan (allinone>> epson tx130)
i have to set it up on "Never notify" to be able to scan w no problem,
.. but i dont like the idea of having UAC on "Never notify", what can i do?
thanks in advance!

A:User Account Control issues (windows 7 ultimate english)

Are you using one of the drivers certified for use under Windows 7? Some of the older drivers needed to be able to write to places in the registry they will not be able to under Windows 7 (old WinXP assumption, I presume):
Epson Stylus NX130, Drivers & Downloads - Technical Support - Epson America, Inc.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/211616-user-account-control-issues-windows-7-ultimate-english.html
Relevancy 61.49%

Guys I have done this in the past but cannot recall how and don't want to botch.

I had hoped Windows 10 corrected the "rename user account" function but nope. I renamed a User Account due to conflict on the LAN [same name, same spelling] and sure enough, now I have two names for the account, one a slightly hidden original name, and permissions issues. To rid it, I will create an all new Administrator account, move everything over, and demolish the old.
How to do? the docs/files are easy... the settings for apps etc are not as I recall

thx

A:Move/copy-paste User Account data & docs to New User account same sys

Don't even try would be my recommendation.

Make a new Admin account and copy your documents. Set everything else up from scratch.

Most applications will store their stuff in %localappdata% but unless you have some specific app (Windows Live Mail or Outlook or something) tht you must move it would be much better not to try to move things.

If there is something specifically you want to move then ask about that - I've moved the 2 I mention above, for sure someone else has moved something else.

Generally it will be quicker (and cleaner) to start from scratch than trawl though everything hoping to make sure you moved the lot. You'll only end up missing some odd directory and it will not work.

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/40321-move-copy-paste-user-account-data-docs-new-user-account-same-sys.html
Relevancy 60.63%

Active Directory user account issues on replication in Windows Server I have two domain controllers replicating to each other SRV- is my main domain controller while SRV- is my additional controller When I create a user account on SRV- named quot bsmith quot is pops up on SRV- but the little face icon next to the name has a red white quot X quot symbol on it It appears to be disabled However the same account on SRV- where I originally created the account doesn t have the symbol Vice versa happens when I create an account on SRV- When I right-click on the account with the quot X quot icon I have an option labeled quot disable account quot but it appears to already be disabled from 2000 user Directory Server Active in Windows issues account on replication the way the icon looks So I click on quot disable account quot option anyway and the icon stays the same Next I right-click again and this time I have the quot enable account quot Active Directory user account issues on replication in Windows 2000 Server option When I click quot enable account quot the quot X quot disappears and the account appears to go back to normal Why is this happening How come the account is getting disabled on the other server Shouldn t it be enabled on all servers after creation Also why is it that I don t get the quot enable account quot option right off the bat when I right-click instead of first having to click quot disable account quot in order to get the quot enable account quot option Thanks Jerry nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/active-directory-user-account-issues-on-replication-in-windows-2000-server.487057/
Relevancy 60.63%

I am trying to create a non admin user account, which I know how to do the simple way, however I have been using the admin user account for a while now however I want to transfer/copy program setting, etc to this knew user account.

so I want to: create a non admin user account which is duplicate of the current existing admin account but from her on to install software etc I install under admin account.

I am using Vista too

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
David Lambie

A:How do I copy existing admin user account to normal user account

I would
> Create the new profile with admin privileges
> Transfer stuff things to the new profile (see here)
> Then remove admin privilege from the new account

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-i-copy-existing-admin-user-account-to-normal-user-account.146098/
Relevancy 60.63%

My folders and files in C:/users/myname/ can be viewed and accessed from the Guest user account. How do I stop this?

A:Files in my user account can be accessed from guest user account in VISTA

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/files-in-my-user-account-can-be-accessed-from-guest-user-account-in-vista.805452/
Relevancy 60.63%

I have a Vista 32 system that has some corruption. Several things like the NET v2.0 framework do not work correctly and it does not do a Windows update without an error. Basically, I know some corruption must exist in the registry.

I have a new drive that I restored a backup from way back when the system was working OK. Naturally there are programs and files that need to be updated. I will have to reinstall the programs that did not exist on the old backup, but I was hoping I could restore my user account profile "in bulk" without just moving individual files. Is there anything wrong with deleting the whole content of the restored user account profile and replacing it with my present profile?

A:replacing a restored user account from backup with present user account

You could use Windows Easy Transfer, I will be back with more information.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

You can also, just back up your files etc and then restore them to the new account.

You have to be careful with anything that you do, to be sure that the corruption is not transferred.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/271710-replacing-restored-user-account-backup-present-user-account.html
Relevancy 60.63%

Is there a fix for Unlocking AD User Account in Windows7 so I do not I have to use WindowsXP AD to unlock the User Account?  Is there a fix and/or update for fixing this problem?
Your help will ge greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Fred

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ebba5cb6-70f2-44e2-b1dd-6b0bc19de52f/is-there-a-fix-for-unlocking-ad-user-account-in-windows7-so-i-do-not-i-have-to-use-windowsxp-ad-to?forum=w7itprohardware
Relevancy 58.91%

I have a Dell XPS 9100 with Windows 7 Prof. I am using the user account made during the initial bootup of the new computer, to make the desired settings and adding software installations. However after I finish with the initial tweaking, I will reduce the account privileges from Administrator to Standard user level. However, before I change the account level, I will make another user account with administrator user level.

Is there a way to have the new user account have the same settings as the initial user account when it is Simimade, such as copying, etc? I am not looking forward to manually making all of the sames changes/settings that I have made in the initial bootup user account, to the new user account with administrator privileges.

I would very much appreciate any suggestions regarding the above. Thanks Sam

A:Creating a New User Account Similar to an Existing User Account

Hello Scams,

About as close as you can get to this would be to create a new administrator account with the name you like, then copy all of the contents of the old user account's C:\Users\(user-name) folders (including hidden AppData folder) into the corresponding new account's C:\Users\(user-name) folder. After everything checks out ok, you can delete the old user account while logged in the new user account.

It will copy most of your settings, like your Start Menu shortcuts, to the new account, but items stored in the registry, like your desktop background, would have to be reset again.

Hope this helps some,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/114431-creating-new-user-account-similar-existing-user-account.html
Relevancy 58.91%

Hi,

We are creating a PDF file in login user's local application folder (C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\folder1) through a custom .Net application and displaying the created pdf file in application.

The above functionality is working for users who are part of domain and added to local vista machine as users (both for administrator and standard user accounts).
The same is not working for local users (both administrator and standard user accounts created in vista box).

File is getting created for any user under their local appdata folder and can able to open from that location, but not displaying from app in case of local system users (admin or standard type).

Can anyone help me what security settings differ between domain users vs local users in vista business 32 bit OS?

Thanks
Padmaja

A:domain account user vs local account user in vista

Policy that is actually causing the problem (or lack thereof) is corresponds to Internet Options control panel, Connections tab, Lan Settings button: Use Automatic Configuration settings.
Having this turned on causes IE to load a configuration file prepared by IT department which makes a whole lot of configuration changes to IE, including remapping the security zones. We can test this by unchecking this option (the default state).
Since the machine is in domain and since we are testing with domain users accounts, I have monitored domain controller pushing down a bunch of policy settings which relax the IE security settings, causing the reports to display.
First, domain settings will resync over time and this checkbox will keep getting turned back on automatically. So you can?t really turn this off, it won?t stay off. I would feel better just testing local accounts, but since the computer is also a member of the domain, machine-specific policies are applied by the domain as well.

http://www.vistax64.com/system-security/252093-domain-account-user-vs-local-account-user-vista.html
Relevancy 58.91%

I have a user with a machine that was setup with Win 8.1 Home. The machine has been upgraded to 8.1 Pro and joined to a domain (WinSrv 2003). I need to get the conten/configuration from their old local machine user profile to their new domain user profile. I tried to copy the contents of their ../users/<name>/.. folder from the local user profile to the new domain user profile (after they had logged in once, and then logged off). This did not work. When I did the copy, I grabbed all files, including hidden...was that my mistake, or is the issue broader?

In the end....they want their old stuff and configuration under their new credentials/profile.

Thanks!

-Nick

A:Merge Domain User Account with Local User Account

There are 4 conventional ways of accomplishing this task.

Option 1: Simply copy My Documents, Favorites, Desktop items from one to the other. You will have to setup program options again, may or may not be a big deal

Option 2: Use the Windows Easy Transfer option. Explained here. Vista & Win7 local to domain profile migration

Option 3: Use the Copy To Feature in User Profiles, explained here: Copy a user profile. The steps are outlined for different versions of Windows, but they work the same in Windows 8.

Option 4: Use the User State Migration Tool. User State Migration Tool 4.0 User's Guide. Here is a link to a video on using the USMT. User State Migration Tool in Windows 7 - Install | TechNet

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/52778-merge-domain-user-account-local-user-account.html
Relevancy 58.91%

hi

how can it be?

a standar user turns the pc on, goes to her account and turns the general volume down and then turns the pc off

i go later turn the pc on , go to my account and i have the volume down too

why???????????????????

A:1 user account urns down the volume and my user account gets affected

That is how Windows seems to work. I have three users on my system, and if I adjust the volume with one, the other two are affected. I did find this: How do I keep individual user volume settings on my computer?

Maybe it will help you. I will also ask others to take a look.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/238773-1-user-account-urns-down-volume-my-user-account-gets-affected.html
Relevancy 58.48%

I'm running XP Pro with mulitiple users. I want to "turn off" Internet access for a single user while leaving free access to the other users.

I've tried a couple of NetNanny style programs, but I don't like the extra passwords that others have to use, and I don't like extra burden on system resources.

j.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/block-internet-for-single-user-on-multi-user-xp-pro.142159/
Relevancy 58.48%

I have to select a user upon startup of Windows instead of have just being prompted for a password as per usual of having one user. Same deal when locking. Any ideas?

A:Have to select user upon startup, and after locking. Single User

Hello KillerHonky, and welcome to Seven Forums.

If you have to select a user's icon at the log on screen, then what other user's icon is displayed to select from if you only have a single user account on the computer?

....or do you mean that you have to enter both the user name and password at log on instead of just the password?

You could use the tutorial below to set Windows 7 to automatically log on to a user account at startup.

Log On Automatically at Startup

Hope this helps for now,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/194713-have-select-user-upon-startup-after-locking-single-user.html
Relevancy 57.19%

As the title suggests- I have issues.. Just moved out to the rural countryside and had to get a satelite setup for internet access. We got the 30GB package and after a WEEK, they claimed we hit our limit. Ok so back in city life we had a 25 Gig package on broadband and never had an issue with three of us on it. I downoaded the Networx bandwidth tracking package and while good it has issues.. so heres my Question: What software package OR hardware device is available out there to track usage for a family of three wireless Inspirons and a lan cabled IBM Business computer? I can't install any software on the business computer so I set mine up to monitor router traffic hoping to capture all traffic - but this only works if my computer is on. Is there an easier way? As I'm not a techie please use very simple words and suggestions. Thanks

A:Bandwidth, bandwidth and more bandwidth issues...

Having 30GB a month sounds pretty good to me, my parents live in a rural area and have 5! a month limit. They are through Dish, there aren't a whole lot of sat internet providers in the US, and they are all pretty similar in usages and charges from what I recall. Dish has a way to track your usage on their website, I assume HughesNet, WildBlue, whatever things are calling themselves now (essentially in the US at least, you are going through something that is either those, or is owned by those). So, you should be able to watch your usage in somewhat real time on their website.

If you live outside of the US or have some provider I am unaware of, I would be they also have a website interface that will let you track. The only downside to this is that you have to take their word for your usage, but that is pretty easily determined if you can control your devices for a short period of time and do a download test (grab a linux ISO at 650 megs). It should match up, if not, then you are getting scammed by your ISP and you should google to see if anyone else is having the same issues, this is HIGHLY unlikely though.

Bottom line, you are overthinking it, just use your ISPs counter on their website, if you think their's is wrong, post back with some details on why.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bandwidth-bandwidth-and-more-bandwidth-issues.200273/
Relevancy 56.33%

When I try to log onto my user account I click on it and the computer shuts down, no error message. I can log into the administrator account, it's protected by a password. I have nortons and malwarebytes and have run them both with no malware detected. I also tried system restore but all of my restore points are gone. So, what next? Thanks

A:I click on user account and it (user account) shuts down

Have you tried creating a new user account?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/247678-i-click-user-account-user-account-shuts-down.html
Relevancy 54.18%

First off I apologize for the lack of information I can provide this is concerning the OS installed on a military classified system but OS issue none-the-less I think We're running Windows XP Professional SP and the system has been running for nearly two years Single Freezing Account with maybe an hour downtime a month Out of our consoles one has demonstrated indications of issues Namely the OS freezes I'm no expert but when the taskbar freezes with a quot loading quot mouse icon that should indicate that explorer exe is frozen I close explorer exe and run my program manually via the task manager run command and the software works without issue but if I bring explorer exe back in it all Single Account Freezing dies Here's the catch it only happens on our operations account When I log into maintenance or administrator and have it run the exact same software suite there is not an issue Obviously if we can work around it we do but leaving an operator with access to our maintenance account is hardly solving any issues ultimately it'll create more operators like to quot play quot around Now I apologize as I can not load any programs on the system for diagnostics I can't provide much more specific information outside of the standard OS-level information and we do not have software discs to reinstall repair the OS and my system software I know it isn't much to work with but any assistance would be greatly appreciated The issue started out of nowhere and it's a closed system no access to any sort of network that I do not have complete control over so the likelihood of a virus is beyond minimal Thank you in advance

A:Single Account Freezing

Hi and welcome to TSF

Really best bet is to call in your IT people in since this a military computer.

BG

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/single-account-freezing-559451.html
Relevancy 54.18%

First off I apologize for the lack of information I can provide this is concerning the OS installed on a military classified system but OS issue none-the-less I think We re running Windows XP Professional SP and the system has been running for nearly two years with maybe an hour downtime a month Out of our Freezing Single Account consoles one has demonstrated indications of issues Namely the OS freezes I m no expert but when the taskbar freezes with a quot loading quot mouse icon that should indicate that explorer exe is frozen Single Account Freezing I close explorer exe and run my program manually via the task manager run command and the software works without issue but if I bring explorer exe back in it all dies Here s the catch it only happens on our operations account When I log into maintenance or administrator and have it run the exact same software suite there is not an issue Obviously if we can work around it we do but leaving an operator with access to our maintenance account is hardly solving any issues ultimately it ll create more operators like to quot play quot around Now I apologize as I can not load any programs on the system for diagnostics I can t provide much more specific information outside of the standard OS-level information and we do not have software discs to reinstall repair the OS and my system software I know it isn t much to work with but any assistance would be greatly appreciated The issue started out of nowhere and it s a closed system no access to any sort of network that I do not have complete control over so the likelihood of a virus is beyond minimal Thank you in advance nbsp

A:Single Account Freezing

Sorry but we will not work on such a system. You will need to address the problem with the military IT department.

Closing thread.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/single-account-freezing.986858/
Relevancy 54.18%

Hi all I have a bandwidth sharing issue on my wifes XP Pro computer that she sometimes shares with her daughter my stepdaughter Stepdaughter uses a guest account only She chews through a massive amount of bandwidth each month youtube limewire watchmovies etc even when she has been asked nicely and not so nicely to reduce her usage etc I have a WRT G v running Tomato and have already QoS'd her laptop significantly which is why she is using her mothers computer And yes user bandwidth limit guest for only XP I know that this is a person issue rather than an IT issue However I need to find a way to throttle the bandwidth available to the guest account ONLY I don't want to affect her mothers account I have spent hours on Google and have looked through heaps of threads here too I am the only IT savvy admin on the system and am happy to install software to do the throttling Any advice on software that will allow me to limit one user account only on the XP Pro machine greatly appreciated Thanks Will

A:limit bandwidth for XP guest user only

Im not sure if any of these will accomplish what you want but here is a darn fine list of parental controls.

http://www.sofotex.com/download/Secu...ental_Control/

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/limit-bandwidth-for-xp-guest-user-only-442399.html
Relevancy 53.75%

I am using Windows 7 Pro 64x and apparently the default user account (Owner) that I use is not working correctly. Unless I have UAC set to Never Notify, I cannot open Control Panel or UAC again. I have created a second user account as Administrator and it works correctly.

I would like to know if there is any way to fix this problem short of a clean install of Windows. If not, is it possible to move all of my settings to the user account that works correctly and delete the one that does not.

Thanks

A:Solved: Default User Account (Administrator) acts like Standard Account

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-default-user-account-administrator-acts-like-standard-account.1024887/
Relevancy 53.75%

Hey, I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium on my HP Pavilion Slimline Desktop and I need help getting my Standard user account back to Administrator. I can't run certain programs and I also can't install and uninstall anything. I don't have the Windows 7 Installation Disk to do restore. I have already tried Safe Mode and I can't enable and built in admin either. Please help me! Thank you!

A:How can I put my Standard user account back to Administrator when the ASP.NET Machine account is admin?

How are you trying to change the type of account?I don't have the Windows 7 Installation Disk to do restoreDo you mean System Restore? If you are, you don't need the installation disk to do this.To use System Restore click on the start orb. In the search box type in System Restore. In the list of results click on System Restore, if you are prompted for an administrator password type it in.Follow the prompts to choose a restore point and restore your computer.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/479959/how-can-i-put-my-standard-user-account-back-to-administrator-when-the-aspnet-machine-account-is-admin/
Relevancy 53.75%

I'm the only user on this laptop and my admin account to Profile/Account User admin problem (can't account) login original was called quot HybridPC quot and I disabled the windows login screen Turn computer on and goes right to desktop One day the welcome screen popped up out of nowhere and I had to login I tried disabling the login screen to where it was before and now I've screwed things up royally I cannot login to my original admin account or find it All the files are still there on my C Users HybridPC folder but I've lost the profile and user I think I messed things up further by trying to create delete other new user accounts I've attached screenshots showing my C users folder User account screen and the netplwiz exe profiles I've been adding deleting and can't get back to square one I don't see my user at all on the welcome screen Thanks for your help Top User Folder is new today and odd looking as I was attempting to fix on my own

A:User Profile/Account problem (can't login to original admin account)

Hello tytlyf, and welcome to Seven Forums.

Let's start to see if you disabled or deleted your "HybridPC" by using the tutorial below to get details about all accounts on your computer while you are logged in to your "Admin" account, then post back with them. Afterwards, we can go from there.

User Accounts - View Detailed Information About in Windows

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/357762-user-profile-account-problem-cant-login-original-admin-account.html
Relevancy 53.75%

I have a local user account that comes up as the default user when Windows10 boots up that I would like to remove.

I have tried the usual user modification menus but this account does not show up. It is annoying to have to go through this false log in every time I start the computer.

Help?

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/62651-delete-local-user-account-change-default-account-start-up.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Sorry to bump this thread, but I would like to know if a change in the group policy affects all users on the computer, or only my user account. I want to run a logoff script for my account only.

I am talking about going into gpedit.msc and adding a logoff script. Will this affect all users, or only my account.

A:Single account logoff script

Even though it appears you're having the same problem, please start a new thread when you have a new issue. It's very difficult to keep two problems straight and who's working on what in a single thread.

I've created a new thread for your issue here.

Note: You will need to post complete details of your configuration and your specific issue in this new thread for us to help you.

Thanks for your cooperation.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/single-account-logoff-script.729016/
Relevancy 53.75%

Suddenly, the Windows 7 doesn't allow me to access my Admin Account and showing error msg (The User Profile Service service failed to Logon). I am left with only the Guest Account with limited access.
I tried copying the cmd.exe, using Fix It Program, login through Safe Mode but all didn't work.
Would anyone help pls?
HMK

A:The User Profile (Administrator Account) Service failed to logon and then left with only Guest Account in Windows 7

Hi,

Occasionally, Windows might not read your user profile correctly, such as if your antivirus software is scanning your computer while you try to log on.
Please try restarting your computer and logging on with your user account again.

If the issue still persists, please restart in safe mode to log on with the built-in administrator account:
1. Restart your computer and hit F8 multiples times until you see a menu-like screen, if you see the Windows splash screen then repeat this step
2. Highlight and hit enter on Safe Mode with Command Prompt. Try logging in there.
3. If you are able to login, once a command prompt pops up, type: net user administrator password /active:yes (you can specify whatever password you want for the administrator
account.)
4. If you get a message saying "The command completed successfully", then restart your computer by typing: shutdown -r
5. Boot up again pressing F8, but this time choose just Safe Mode.
6. You will be able to login as Administrator with the password you set in Step 3.

Then try the following methods:
Method 1: Fix these user account profile on these computer

Method 2: Log on to Windows and copy your data to a new account
Method 3: Delete the error SID and create a new profile
For the detailed information, please refer to this article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215Karen Hu
TechNet Community Support

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/7389c4fb-18f4-43a9-b827-64581ddfff06/the-user-profile-administrator-account-service-failed-to-logon-and-then-left-with-only-guest?forum=w7itprosecurity
Relevancy 53.75%

HELP!!! I've accidentally had Control Alt Delete on my Logon Screen. And from my laptop, I couldn't type it in with my keyboard, so I have to use Ease of Access and use the On-screen Keyboard. From there, it had a "Other User" Account which asks for a username and password, which I don't have because THIS IS THE FIRST TIME I've encountered an "Other User" Account.

I don't know how to retrieve my administrator account. I've been guessing several usernames and passwords for the "Other User" account (even my admin. username and password) but no luck.

PLEASE HELP!! IM REALLY DESPERATE.

Here's what my logon screen currently looks like:

ImageShack? - Online Photo and Video Hosting

A:How do I disable Other User Account in Vista and retrieve Administrator account?

Hello, wow , i have never seen this before, here is an idea, couldn't hurt to try it : force a shutdown by pressing the power button, it will then shut down, Then restart it, it should go to the F8 screen automatically, see if you can enter into the restore or repair functions or last known working configuration. Just a thought. Post back results please.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/293592-how-do-i-disable-other-user-account-vista-retrieve-administrator-account.html
Relevancy 53.75%

I have a set of folder I encrypted from my user account. I haven't figured out how to access them from my admin account.

In reverse, while logged on my admin account, I droppped some files into folder encrypted by my user account. I can't access those files when I log on as a user.

How can I get access to all my encrypted files regardless of which logon I use?

A:Access my user account encrypted files from my admin account?

Umm...if you could access encrypted files from another user that would remove the whole point of encrypting the files to begin with.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/180997-access-my-user-account-encrypted-files-my-admin-account.html
Relevancy 53.75%

I ve just installed a new copy of Windows Ultimate By default the first user account as declared in windows setup is set at administrator level I want to run this main account as a standard user but when I went to change this in account settings the option to change the account to standard was greyed out I decided to enable the administrator account to change this hidden user, account Run account with standard as main admin computer management local Run main account as standard user, with admin account hidden users and groups un-ticked account is disabled I logged on as administrator then changed the main account to standard As the Administrator account is now enabled it shows on the welcome screen I don t want this I went back and disabled it running computer management as admin in the now standard account and re-ticked account is disabled technically this should be how it was before I touched it except the main account is now at standard user level rather than administrator level The problem i have now is when trying to run anything on the standard account that needs admin rights i get the UAC box asking to enter admin password which is blank but there is no administrator icon or password field and the yes button is greyed out How can I have my main account as standard user the administrator account not showing on welcome screen but allowing it admin to authorise actions on the standard account that required admin rights via UAC i e when UAC comes up I can click yes to run as administrator At the moment the correct process happens but yes is greyed out when the admin account is disabled When the admin account is enabled this works yes button not greyed out but the administrator account shows on the welcome screen which i don t want

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/482436/run-main-account-as-standard-user-with-admin-account-hidden/
Relevancy 53.75%

Hi guys, just the title of the thread pretty much says it all.
want to create a really limited user account for the kids of the house. I already have a user account, and have tried to set up a limited one through control panel. But that asks me to first create an Administer Account, which i already have. So it would be pointless if i had two Administer Accounts showing up on the welcome screen.
Also i'm kind of a novice at this, but i am keen to learn. so help with privacy and parental control would be appreciated.

Thanks

A:Creating a Limited User Account without having the create an Adminster Account first.

log off your user account and login as administrator,to get admin acc. ctrl_alt_del do it twice, if the admin one is not seen then login create the user account and edit the permissions

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/creating-a-limited-user-account-without-having-the-create-an-adminster-account-first.947709/
Relevancy 53.75%

Hi does anyone know what happens if I mistakenly deleted a user account When I open my computer then right click on the quot This pc quot there is a option called quot Manage quot Then under manage there are user accounts I mistakenly deleted the quot Administrators quot group from my current account Only left is standard user group The admin account is password protected and I have the password Is it possible to log into the admin account and changed Accidentaly user account account to admin standard change promote back my current account I did try to right click quot manage quot but I get this window attached file with no place to put the password That is slightly annoying I was trying to reassign myself back in the admin group I was thinking of making an account which can modify all items such adding hardware and items under quot Device manager quot etc but just limit to not being able to just make a new admin full access account Seems that deleting the admin solves the Accidentaly changed admin account to standard user account not being able to make a new account but in the process I'm locked out from the admin settings Is it possible to create a super-user account just limiting not being able to make new user accounts and have access to all such as device manager It would be nice to not have to log into admin account just to check newly installed hardware Currently on standard user I am unable to go to quot device manager quot and other admin based stuff with that admin shield logo Thanks

A:Accidentaly changed admin account to standard user account

From desktop, hold CTRL+ALT then press DEL keyClick on Switch UserType: Administrator and enter the passwordOnce you are in, Win+X->Command Prompt(Admin)Type: net localgroup administrators username /add <======== replace username with your namesign out and sign back in with your name.

NOTE: In step 3, I Assume that you have the built in Admin turned on and you said you have the password.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/47233-accidentaly-changed-admin-account-standard-user-account.html
Relevancy 53.75%

I was having some trouble with Created disappeared new user Administrator account, original account a newly installed program failing to run Their tech support had me create a new user account start control panel user accounts create new account Created new user account, original Administrator account disappeared I did not realize that creating a new administrator user account by following their instructions would make the original Administrator user account inaccessible I dug through folders and found my documents and made sure they were all on my expansion drive Now I want my account back Otherwise I have to set up my entire computer again The thought of this makes me turn into a velociraptor who wants to destroy the tech support that told me to do this As of right now I have not internet connection on my computer I tried searching forums from my phone but it was extremely difficult not the best phone If this topic already exists and I just could not find it please accept my apologies for the duplicate and post a link Thanks

A:Created new user account, original Administrator account disappeared

I just remembered that I could CTL ALT DELETE twice at the Welcome screen to get to the logon and type in Administrator. I haven't used it in years, so it did not occur to me. I am now in my administrator user account. If I delete the new user account, will it go back to the way it was before? Or will I screw something else up by doing that?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/436013/created-new-user-account-original-administrator-account-disappeared/
Relevancy 53.75%

I have two accounts on my XP laptop Changing Administrator To Account? Problems Account Normal User I have the Administrator account and a regular User account I had to do some administrative work with my User account so I logged in as the Administrator changed my User account Problems Changing Administrator Account To Normal User Account? to an Administrator account went and did my work I then logged back in as Administrator and tried to Problems Changing Administrator Account To Normal User Account? change my User Problems Changing Administrator Account To Normal User Account? account back to a normal user account but it wouldn t let me telling me that I have to have at least Administrator account for me to be able to do this I m not sure why it s telling me that because I still have my Administrator account I logged in as Administrator then went into Control Panel and then User Accounts Then I clicked on quot Change An Account quot Then I clicked on quot User quot Then I clicked on quot Change My Account Type quot But then on this page the quot Limited quot radio button is grayed out and I cannot change it and above it it says quot You must assign another user on this computer with a computer administrator account before you can change this user s account type This ensures that there is always at least one user with a computer administrator account on this computer quot Don t know why I m getting this seeing as how I m logged in as Administrator

A:Problems Changing Administrator Account To Normal User Account?

Nevermind. I figured out how to fix it. Instead of going through Control Panel->User Accounts, I go to Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Computer Management, and I'm able to make the change through there. Not sure why one method works and the other doesn't, but it does!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/93998/problems-changing-administrator-account-to-normal-user-account/
Relevancy 53.75%

So this is probably the strangest problem I have ever encountered with Windows About two or three months ago I noticed that my user account had suddenly changed into a guest account I get prompted for an administrator password when trying to do any tasks that require administrator privilege It is not a huge hassle as I know the administrator account password Here a change changed it User can into account, I account how back guest is where it becomes very strange When I turn my computer on it automatically logs me into my user account the guest account When I got into the user accounts section of the control panel and try to manage user accounts it shows exactly zero user accounts on my computer Also when I try to change my user account the guest account to an administrator account precisely nothing happens It User account changed into a guest account, how can I change it back gets evens stranger When I log out of Windows the only user account I can pick from to log back into Windows is the generic quot Administrator quot account My user account is nowhere to be found When I go to the control panel and try to manage accounts only the administrator account is listed There is an option turn on a generic guest account but nothing related to my original user account is shown Again this is in contrast to when I am logged into my user account the User account changed into a guest account, how can I change it back guest account and see exactly zero user accounts listed on the manage accounts screen I feel that I am pretty good at avoiding bad websites and I do have an antivirus program installed not that that will prevent my computer from being infected but I have used it to do full system scans and I have found nothing on my computer every time Additionally I have Windows updates set to be automatically installed so all of the updates have been installed on my version of Windows I tried asking Microsoft support directly all I got was that no user accounts showing up under the manage user accounts tab is a pretty bad sign and that in order to fully diagnose the problem I would need to sign up for the quot Assure Plan quot or whatever it was called which cost for one year Forget that option for now Does anyone know how to resolve this issue How can I switch my original user account from a guest account and then how could I make it an administrator account once I have retrieved it so-to-speak from being a phantom guest account I mean I know the administrator password and all and so I have been able to essentially use my computer as if nothing is wrong But this whole issue seems very very strange and so I want to see what you guys have to say about it I hope these are not the signs of a more serious and potentially major issue Thanks in advance for anyone's help with this

A:User account changed into a guest account, how can I change it back

Hi and welcome to the Forum
When you refer to the generic Administrator Account do you mean the Account that is hidden in Windows 7? If so did you activate it using this:
Built-in Administrator Account - Enable or Disable If you did the above then this is strange as forgetting the "Hidden admin account you must have at least one ordinary Admin account in Windows 7. You can't operate the system without one!!

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/335636-user-account-changed-into-guest-account-how-can-i-change-back.html
Relevancy 53.75%

It used to be not connected to any email account but when it updated to 8.1 I chose to get an email address for it, so now as a result, the password has to be 8 characters long and I have to use a PIN number , but that's still 4 characters, and I usually use one character password.

So how do I go back to the normal type of user account to use the 1 character password?

A:My user account changed to an hotmail-email account connec

Local Account - Switch to in Windows 8

Local Account Password - Change or Remove in Windows 8

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/36644-my-user-account-changed-hotmail-email-account-connec.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Hi,
In our company, there are few computers where we can access only limited user accounts. I went to control panel >> user accounts >>...it shows the only limited user account name like "xyz". It doesn't show us any administrator account names, why is it so? And how I can make it happen in my personal computer?

A:xp shows only limited account name in user account control panel

Because you are logged in as a Limited User, so you can't make changes to the computer. Speak with your Network Administrator at your company.
At the log in screen hit CTRL+ALT+DEL 3 times fast. This will give you the traditional Windows Log In Screen. If you have the Built In Administrator accounts password, you can log in as Administrator and create a new Admin user account.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/xp-shows-only-limited-account-name-in-user-account-control-panel-552719.html
Relevancy 53.75%

I've just returned home after being away for 2 weeks, and something has happened to my PC while I was away.
While booting up, it tried to perform a disk check but failed as it 'could not access' the main drive. So it dropped me straight into my usual user account loin page. After entering my password it took a very long time to load my profile, then ended up giving me a generic user account.
All of the files from my actual account are still under the 'Users' folder, but this account itself is empty. It has the right name, but this account's documents folder is just called Public.
About half the desktop icons and the entire contents of the recycle bin have been retained from the old account.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

A:Personal user account replaced by generic public account

Did it come up with an error that said you were being logged on with a temporary profile?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/personal-user-account-replaced-by-generic-public-account-851386.html
Relevancy 53.75%

My mom is running xp.
She had 2 accounts, one called administrator, the other called guest.

I created a new account for myself to day, made it an admin account and now the one she was using, called administrator will not let us access it. All of her files and stuff are in that account.

When we start up the computer, it only shows mine and the guest account.
HELP please!
How can I re-access it? VERY VERY important I be able to recover this for her.
Thanks for your help!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-help-created-user-account-lost-moms-account.1002927/
Relevancy 53.75%

I am using Windows 7 Pro 64x and apparently the default user account (Owner) that I use is not working correctly. Unless I have UAC set to Never Notify, I cannot open Control Panel or UAC again. When I try, I get the error message listed below. I have created a second user account as Administrator and it works correctly.

I would like to know if there is any way to fix this problem short of a clean install of Windows. If not, is it possible to move all of my settings to the user account that works correctly and delete the one that does not.

Thanks

A:Default User Account (Administrator) acts like Standard Account

Hello,

Right click Computer and click manage. On the left hand side there will be local users and groups. Go to the Administrators group and just confirm that the Owner account is in there?
Dave

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/194854-default-user-account-administrator-acts-like-standard-account.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Could Of Each User. Bandwidth, Software Monitor To Network someone tell me is there any software that I can get which will help me monitor the bandwidth usage of each user on my network Heres the why bit - I have set up Software To Monitor Bandwidth, Of Each Network User. a small wireless network at home but most night the bandwidth slows to a crawl Im on a mb connection so three of the time just two computers using the internet should not be a problem with a Netgear WGR v router I want to find some thing that will allow me to check the bandwidth usage from each computer So that if one user is taking up all the bandwidth torrents etc I can take control of the allowences to share out the bandwidth and increase the speed for the other users All the searchs I do brings up bandwidth monitoring software which is designed to check the bandwidth of one pc If someone could point me in the right direction that would be most appriecated nbsp

A:Software To Monitor Bandwidth, Of Each Network User.

No can do with your current equipment.

There is no software that can monitor the usage of other connections to that router, simply because the limitations of the router hardware and firmware.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/software-to-monitor-bandwidth-of-each-network-user.801018/
Relevancy 53.32%

i want to restrict Particular website bandwidth or download limite for local user ex: one particular local user can able to download Only 100MB from www.youtube.com....how to do this...? using Group Policys or some thing else...?

A:How to Restrict particular website bandwidth for Local User..?

I'm thinking either a 3rd party application that runs in the background and can be configured by an Administrator with the password, or have an expensive router that has the capability to dish out each local IP on the network a certain quota.

If you are trying to stop your annoying brother/sister downloading, just set up telnet or something, I ususally telnet into my brothers laptop and stop the DHCP service if he is hogging bandwidth or downloading too much. I told him Optus do it if you download too many movies in a short space of time.... and he believes me. He's dumb.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/how-to-restrict-particular-website-bandwidth-for-local-user-321820.html
Relevancy 53.32%

My father replaced his Windows 98 machine with a new computer running Windows 7. He's currently on 32-bit ultimate, but we could change versions if needed.

He's really hoping there's some way to force Windows 7 into a single user mode, primarily so C:\users\All Users, Default User, Public, and his own user are merged into one. It's absolutely driving him nuts the way it is.

I've done quite a bit of searching and have came up empty. Before I said it couldn't be done, I'm wondering if anyone's heard of a way to do this.

A:Win 7 single user, merging users\All Users, Default User, Public, etc?

Just curious, but why does this annoy him so much? Surely it's not that complicated a system and all of his documents etc are stored in the same place, with more or less easy to use shortcuts to these directories placed throughout Windows 7?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/210398-win-7-single-user-merging-users-all-users-default-user-public-etc.html
Relevancy 53.32%

A while back I let a friend set my computer up for 2 people. You know. Seperate user names, seperate passwords. He is no longer around, and I would like to change my PC back to a single user PC. Oh yea almost forgot. Lenovo Idea Center K-300 Windows 7 64 bit..
Thanks for the help

A:Single user PC

Go to Control ->User Accounts.

Delete the one you don't what any longer

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/single-user-pc.187547/
Relevancy 53.32%

Hello everybody. I've got a problem with my W8. I've got a computer who use French France AZERTY keyboard, and my Mini Laptop who use French Belgium AZERTY (not the same set of special char). BUT on my Windows 7, settings where stored locally on the computer. In Windows 8, it seems that it's stored with the online sync. And my mini laptop already change his settings to AZERTY France instead of AZERTY Belgium. How to force Windows 8 to store settings locally and bypass online sync ? Thanks a lot for your help

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/16531-how-manage-two-type-keyboard-single-account.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Hi everyone,

In about a month, a group of German students is coming to visit my school and two of them will be staying at my house.

In order to make them feel welcome, I thought I'd make some separate accounts on my computer. After some fiddling, I've found that the way XP does this is completely useless- buries the advanced options way way down (I haven't even found the options for personalized desktop and start menu).

Anyway, I came up with two questions I could not figure out on my own.

First, how can I change the interface language for one account (not system-wide) and make it display every dialogue-if only windows itself- in German? Any instructions I found on the microsoft KB were totally useless and simply did not work the way they were described.

Second, how can I set it so that each user has a separate desktop?

Thanks in advance

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/changing-the-display-language-for-a-single-account-33711.html
Relevancy 53.32%

I have several computers in the household and want to come up with a centralized backup for them (instead of each having their own backup systems).

I was thinking about using the Crashplan program (offline) because it's platform agnostic (have Windows and Apples in the house) and making a really cheap PC that just acts as a backup target for the others.

But I was wondering if I have all the computers backup to a single computer and then have THAT computer use the crashplan cloud backup, would allow me to backup everything using 1 account??

A:Can Crashplan backup more then 1 computer using a single account?

yes.

I have it set up like this.

Crashplan set up on a "server" that I use for storage. All PCs in the house back up to that server. Familes remote cpmputers back up to that server. The server backs up to a single CP account.

https://hardforum.com/threads/can-crashplan-backup-more-then-1-computer-using-a-single-account.1898461/
Relevancy 52.89%

My computer was set up using a single user account with admin privileges and all apps have been installed. In order to minimize the virus threat I now want to create a user account without admin privileges, but be able to access all apps and itunes library that I have already installed using the admin account.

Please let me have a step by step method how I should set about doing this

My system : i3 windows 8.1 4GB RAM 500GB HD

Thankyou

A:How 2 transfer apps from Admin account to ltd user account

I'd go to Control Panel, Users Account and add a new Standard account. The new name only has to be one character different. The new account should be able to do most things but will be quite limited in making changes to the computer.
How Microsoft Overhauled User Accounts In Windows 8
I'd leave the existing account alone, should always have at least one that has administrative rights. There is an actual Administrator account but it is hidden on purpose.

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/59044-how-2-transfer-apps-admin-account-ltd-user-account.html
Relevancy 52.89%

hello every one
I was hoping if some one could help me at this.
I had created a local account in my machine which is a part of a small office network. and given it administrative rights. every once in a while the account gets downgraded to a limited user account and a I had to go all the way to control panel to reset the settings for that specific user account. I tried background check on the machine to check it for possible malware or virus infection but couldn't find anything.
could it be the user profile settings getting changed athomatically due several usages or could it be log file getting full or needs to be cleared?
so much in need for help

A:admin account gets downgraded to limited user account

possibly because that comp didnt come with Ultimate and when it re-activates, it uses the true Admin account and resets the others.

Roy

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/398805-admin-account-gets-downgraded-limited-user-account.html
Relevancy 52.89%

After installing windows home I logged in with whatever default account there is I then logged in with my Microsoft account to pull down some settings but then switched over to a local account so nothing else gets synced Things have since been working fine until this qualifies now in admin built the as user account account My morning Now for some My user account now qualifies as the built in admin account reason my user account is recognized as the built-in admin account My user account now qualifies as the built in admin account and I can not longer My user account now qualifies as the built in admin account run any of the modern apps that I downloaded or those that come preinstalled including edge the cmd command net users lists my account as the defaultAccount so at least that's consistent I have tried the solution offered here Settings can t be opened using the Built-in Administrator account in Windows - Super User to no success I am unable to begin the prompt to create a new user account located in settings gt accounts gt Family amp Other Users Which brings the to point of me having no idea what to do I can't create a new account to transition to I can't give my account the ability to run these apps which is preferred

A:My user account now qualifies as the built in admin account

Hi, press the win + r key's together in the run dialogue box type:- lusrmgr.msc press OK, expand Users find your account and right click, select properties, what is it a member of? Do you have other accounts?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f338/my-user-account-now-qualifies-as-the-built-in-admin-account-1115449.html
Relevancy 52.89%

My Windows7 suddenly displayed a default desktop. I then did an unsuccessful system restore, tried the undo and got stuck.

From there on, when I want to log in I end up at the error message "The user profile service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded".

I tried to activate the administrator account by using "net user administrator /active:yes". The command executes, but administrator never shows up on the login screen.

I cannot start Windows 7 in safe mode. A few seconds after the safe mode login screen appears the computer restarts automatically. No administrator account is listed here either.

I tried kb/947215, but only S-1-5-18, 19 and 20 show up (regedit from the command prompt, since I cannot log into Windows 7 in any mode.

The startup repair doesn't find a fault. What now? I want to avoid a clean install, if at all possible...

A:User account corrupted, administrator account not accessible

You could try a Repair Install: Repair Install

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/228388-user-account-corrupted-administrator-account-not-accessible.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Since this a security forum, I thought it would be nice to see how many of our members bother creating a Standard User Account or simply use the default Admin User Account.

Anyone is free to explain their own reasoning for choosing a type of account if he/she wants to.

Currently I use a Standard User Account. Decided to try one a few days ago, and so far I like it. I don't find it that much annoying or bothersome(so far)

https://malwaretips.com/threads/administrator-account-vs-standard-limited-user-account.61626/
Relevancy 52.89%

I recently was trying to rid my computer of malware,only to find nothing.Im not sure what was wrong with it.Maybe something screwed up in the registry.
All is well now,or At least I thought so.

When I start up my computer,My wife's account pic is not there.
I recently ran Dial a Fix to correct registry errors,that were preventing me from Re-installing Service pack 3 for windows xp.

The account is still active,just no log in on welcome screen.

Any help\advice would be great!
thanks

A:user account,not on welcome screen,but account is still acknowledged by computer

Maybe create a new account andi f it works, delete the old one. Here's a list of Microsoft articles concerning user accountshttp://www.theeldergeek.com/kbi_user_accounts.htmRecovering a damaged user profile:http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-...11-5035219.html

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/186194/user-accountnot-on-welcome-screenbut-account-is-still-acknowledged-by-computer/
Relevancy 52.89%

I tried to see Skype Video on Windows Huge mistake It asked me for a Windows Account I just finished understanding what Google Account means I happened to have a Windows Account I can't New account log Windows local changed my Account User in entered it and it accepted it It then asked that I must also change the password that I use for my profile on my desktop I obliged and sacrificed my simple password as it required a strong password New Windows Account changed my local User account can't log in So now I have a Windows password and my strong user profile password I rebooted Big headache for the past two hours Neither passwords worked to let me in my profile which has Administrator privilege New Windows Account changed my local User account can't log in I logged in as Administrator went to Control Panel Users accounts hoping that being logged in as Local Admin I can change the password of my profile I can see my profile user account but there is no way to change its password only to delete or change to ordinary user I changed my Windows account password via my mobile Still I can't log in to my profile Would somebody kindly help or should I just dump Windows and move on to Mac

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/53048-new-windows-account-changed-my-local-user-account-cant-log.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Hello I've been using Windows for weeks Until today it started up just fine by displaying my name and no email address This is exactly how I want it to be Today when Win would not recognize a printer in order to download an quot app quot to help with this I was required to provide a Microsoft email account which I did an old Hotmail account I rarely use Now when I restart or wake up the computer that old Hotmail account appears as quot Administrator quot However I do NOT want that old Hotmail email address associated with this computer How can I remove it and get back to logging in with NO associated email address NOTE I do not want to delete the old Hotmail account just want to remove it from my Windows quot Account quot menu My name Hotmail address quot Administrator quot In case it's required to associate Win with an email address I use Windows Live Essentials with a company email address I tried adding it via the quot Other Account quot option but Win said it did not recognize the email address I entered sigh I saw threads with a similar question but not quite the same Thanks for any help

A:Can I remove but not delete MS email account from user account?

You have converted your local user account to a Microsoft account. It's easy to switch back to a local account, just follow the instructions in this tutorial: Local Account - Switch to in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

When you have switched back to a local account and you want to download another app from the Windows Store, follow the instructions in this tutorial (Method Two, Step 5) to keep using your local account to sign in to Windows and only use a Microsoft account to sign in to Store: Store - Sign in with Different Account in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

A useful tutorial to learn the difference between a local account and a Microsoft account: Local Account or Microsoft Account - How to Tell in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Kari

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/43338-can-i-remove-but-not-delete-ms-email-account-user-account.html
Relevancy 52.89%

How do I copy documents from my main user account to my second user account on my home computer?

A:How do copy documents from my main user account to my second account

Read this for instructions.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-do-copy-documents-from-my-main-user-account-to-my-second-account.799319/
Relevancy 52.89%

I have always been running admin and even until now I run as admin. But, I have been doing a little bit of research and realize that using a standard account is a safer practice. I have never even used a standard account. Is using a standard account a better practice? Also, how does doing average task such as installing programs and updating work through the standard user account?

A:Using default admin account vs standard user account

Its safer to always run programs with lower privileges, and run as administrator when needed. Personally, I like my UAC set to the max. Basically, it stops programs from messing with your PC without permission.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/192765-using-default-admin-account-vs-standard-user-account.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Hi Guys One of our staff to User Solved: Account - User Deleted Guest - File Type Changing PC has a problem the scenarios Specs Alias Names -Company Name Contoso -Staff PC under Domain Alpha -PC Name Contoso -PC -Local Users are administrators and john Solved: Changing User Account Type - User to Guest - File Deleted -User profiles gt operations contoso domain gt john local gt administrator local -MS Outlook connected to email protected Thursday IT remove uninstall chat messengers blocked linkedin facebook twitter youtube change User Account Type Local Staff John Doe from User to Guest I change the type from User Accounts gt Properties gt Group Membership gt Others gt Guest shutdown the system Friday turn on the PC and staff asks for the correct username provides the username Contoso -PC john staff login to his local account using his password Saturday staff called and his desktop files are gone and document files are gone IT check the Users folder there are particular folders john and john contoso -pc both folders empty outlook not connected account is totally FRESh IT check on webmail under Domain Alpha not working the usual password webmail contoso com owa after an hour the usual password works IT tried to connect MS outlook using email protected not working saying quot outlook pst is not offline file quot PROBLEM files are gone Totally FRESh account I don t know what happen guys please help the FIles are gone Hoping your best solution THanks nbsp

A:Solved: Changing User Account Type - User to Guest - File Deleted

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-changing-user-account-type-user-to-guest-file-deleted.1102921/
Relevancy 52.89%

Does watching video on a smartphone user the same bandwidth or download as in any computer?

Thanks.

A:Does watching video on a smartphone user the same bandwidth or download as in any com

Yes and no. It all depends on what format the video is in (AVI, MP4, etc.). A file with higher compression will occupy less space and take less bandwidth/download amount to download. Whatever format it is in, though, it will consume some bandwidth and download amount (I take it from the question that you have a monthly download limit from your ISP, correct?)

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/301304-does-watching-video-smartphone-user-same-bandwidth-download-any-com.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Bonjour ,

I have a wireless linksys WAG200g gateway, How do I limit the bandwidth to each user on the wireless router? Some of the users are abusing the bandwidth making it difficult for others to surf the internet. Is there any way to setlimits to each user so that nobody ends up using too much of the internet.

Merci

A:Solved: How do I limit the bandwidth to each user on the wireless router?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-how-do-i-limit-the-bandwidth-to-each-user-on-the-wireless-router.799828/
Relevancy 52.89%

Hey
Another shiny day and another question. Guys I've my friend who share my connection of 2mb/s. Problem is when he download GBs of stuff my speed comes to an end . Is there anyway I can allocate him limited speed say 20kb/s through my router? My router is Linksys Wireless-G ADSL Home Gateway WAG200G. There is no option for this inside the router settings and I hope some third party app can help me.
Thanks

A:How can I limited bandwidth of other user (my client) through wifi router

Originally Posted by saeen

Hey
Another shiny day and another question. Guys I've my friend who share my connection of 2mb/s. Problem is when he download GBs of stuff my speed comes to an end . Is there anyway I can allocate him limited speed say 20kb/s through my router? My router is Linksys Wireless-G ADSL Home Gateway WAG200G. There is no option for this inside the router settings and I hope some third party app can help me.
Thanks

WS

Third party app is called net limiter, but has to be on his computer not router

ken

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/252149-how-can-i-limited-bandwidth-other-user-my-client-through-wifi-router.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Good evening from Graz,

i have quite a strange problem on my personal pc since the last few days. I cannot login to my useraccount(which has a transparent picture at the logon screen since a few days).
I have just one workarround: if i login with my adminaccount and logoff, the userpicture of my privateaccount appears again and the login is possible.

What could this problem be related to?

greetings
Nico Müller

A:Solved: Windows 7 User Account Problem(Transparent User Picture)

Good morning,

solved it. Disabled the admin account, and removed the pw of my useraccount.
Kind a strange problem indeed, but seems to be solved.

Thanks anyway,
Nico

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-7-user-account-problem-transparent-user-picture.946560/
Relevancy 52.89%

Earlier today maybe an hour before this post I was watching a LP on Youtube I ve been watching it for a few days now While watching my laptop A HP DV froze I m used to some infrequent freezing that seems more like lag then freezing and I usually restart afterward but this freeze was very different The sound from the video didn t keep going like the times Does Single Load Not User before when it froze instead it did this weird skippy thing Like if it had froze on the word quot Door quot it just said quot D-d-d-d-dd-d-d-d-dd quot for about a minute Then it paused slightly continued to make the noise but it sounded lower At this point I just forced a restart I felt the keyboard and it was kind of warm but not really So I left it open and let it cool down for a few minutes Then I restarted the computer It asked about running in safe mode blah blah and I went back to the of users that I was using before When I loaded Single User Does Not Load it though it took a long time Around or so minutes to get from quot Welcome quot to the actual desktop Once there it showed the quot device not compatible quot or whatever page which I keep forgetting to get rid of When I move the mouse to click it it lags for a while but then the mouse kicks in and I can press cancel At this point it still has not loaded the desktop it just looks like a black wallpaper without desktop icons Then I look down at the taskbar and I see that the time is the same as whatever time welcome screen disappeared If I put my mouse over the taskbar to try and click something pinned it just gives me the loading circle amp mouse thing Pressing the windows key does not pull up the menu I restarted a few times and got the same symptoms so finally I logged into a different account from the welcome page which worked perfectly Then I logged off and tried to log onto the buggy account it didn t work I hibernated from there fn f method and it hibernated but when I turned the comp back on it couldn t resume When I restarted it asked if I wanted to try to resume again but I declined and logged onto a non-buggy account and came here to post this Usually I try to fix my own computer messes but I ve only been using windows for about weeks now and I barely feel comfortable fixing the registry for Daemon Tools I didn t even try so I don t think I ll be trying to fix this on my own EDIT It is hours later and now I cannot log onto this user at all It freezes on the welcome page as it is loading I checked all of my startup programs I ran my antivirus and malware bytes though I doubt that is it issue I feel like the problem must lie in the ntuser dat log files and such on that account but I just cannot bring myself to fiddle with them since that may ruin everything Normally I would just delete the account but it is the only account that I really use and it was such a hassle getting all my stuff on there plus since I don t know what the problem is I don t want to attempt to move any of my stuff from there to another account grrrrr EDIT It dawned on me to try and do a system restore but that didn t work either O o which is weird since the restore point was from days ago and I didn t have this problem twelve hours ago so much as days I wish system restore was more like an image

A:Single User Does Not Load

Hello hopefully I can point you in the right direction to fix your problem.Please read this concerning ntuser.dat a corrupted user profile. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows...ed-user-profileHope this helps and please keep us informed as to whether this helped or not.Kind regards.Bruce.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/339284/single-user-does-not-load/
Relevancy 52.89%

I'm helping a small business with a new software application that requires an SQL environment with either Windows 2000 or 2003. The application will not require networking and will be utilized by a single user. They currently run a UNIX based network server called a chilibox and are very happy with it. The application user is running an XP Pro machine. What is the easiest way to make the single user SQL environment? Can I create it on her current workstation?

Many thanks

A:Single User SQL on an XP Machine?

I figured somebody would answer this by now.

If I recall, there's a single user SQL from Microsoft that's a "desktop edition"
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/previousversions/msde/prodinfo.mspx

Of course, now that I've read this, it appears that they're canning this for Vista.

In the mean time, you should be able to use the MSDE engine. Not the fastest, but if it's single user it's probably ok.

Having said that, using SQL etc has some caveats.

1] Whatever the XP system has now, it'll probably need more memory to perform satisfactory.
2] You need to protect the system and filesystems/database from being shutdown abnormally. They need to be queiesced. This means the system needs a UPS of some form. Something that will keep it up long enough to shutdown gracefully.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/single-user-sql-on-an-xp-machine.506468/
Relevancy 52.89%

As a single user I'm not worried about physical login.

However, I do download from the NET and have several of my own programs which access trusted servers of third parties. I never paid much attention to security as up to down figured those hacking were way ahead of those trying to stop it.

With my new build and install of Windows 7, I decided maybe now is the time.

So my questions are:

1) When accessing the NET should I be logging on to my system as a user rather than administrator?
2) Is Windows 7 Firewall adequate or better than someone else?
3) Would it be better to use a sandbox?
4) If I use a sandbox, how can I ensure that the programs or pages I download from the NET are not infected so I can copy them onto my system -- e.g. what program should I run against the download to check it for viruses)?

Thanks
David

A:Single User Security

David
Very astute questions.
It is suggested that you do not log on as administrator. If you are infected by malware the damage done will be limited
Windows 7 firewall is fine. Others are going to post and disagree, since it is a matter of opinion. I trust my system to the built in fire wall.
Sandboxie is very good software. I do not use it but it will give you an extra layer of protection
You can test the safety of any download with virus total
https://www.virustotal.com/
Now here is your bonus answer. I use the free Macrium Reflect. It makes an image of my hard drive (I make an image after any big changes, ie updates. It has saved me from 3 virus. You get a virus, just replace with the image.
Good luck to you

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/355123-single-user-security.html
Relevancy 52.89%

I'm helping a small business with a new software application that requires an SQL environment with either Windows 2000 or 2003. The application will not require networking and will be utilized by a single user. They currently run a UNIX based network server called a chilibox and are very happy with it. The application user is running an XP Pro machine. What is the easiest way to make the single user SQL environment? Can I create it on her current workstation?

Many thanks

A:Single User SQL on an XP Machine?

How about installing the MDSE version of SQL (aka SQL 2005 Express) and install it on your XP Workstation?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/sql/download/

Or is your product doesn't support 2005, then try the MSDE 2000 RelA.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/aa336301.aspx

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/single-user-sql-on-an-xp-machine.506505/
Relevancy 52.89%

I currently use Vista, and have Win7 on pre-order.

My question is: can I set up Win7 as a single-user system, and not have to mess with the user access controls? I have a single user defined on my Vaio now, but I still have to deal with the multiple levels of user controls/etc. I just want the desktop/directories to show up like they used to, before I had to traverse down through the user level. For example, could I just be the administrator in Win7 and not define any other users? If I can do that, do I have to do a clean install (since I do have a single user defined now)?

Thanx/Jerry

A:Single User Question

Hello Jerry, and welcome to Seven Forums.

I think you may have misunderstood what UAC is. Read the links in the green information box in the tutorial below for a more detailed explanation of what UAC is and what is does if you like. The tutorial below will also show you how to turn UAC off.

User Account Control - UAC - Change Notification Settings

You might also look into the built-in Adminsitrator account to see if you may be interested in using it for what you want. I would recommend to stick with your current default administrator account though for better security.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/26624-single-user-question.html
Relevancy 52.89%

I have XP, and am the only user of my computer. When I boot up, I get a prompt with my user name that I must click on before the machine finishes booting. Is there a way to avoid this?

Thanks.

Relevancy 52.89%

Is there such a thing? Just myself as Administrator. No Guest and no other user accounts, and with full security options.

The option to add another language could be useful.

Thanks for your expertise.

Relevancy 52.89%

This has most likely been covered before but I am wondering about admin accounts vs non admin accounts.
I understand that if you have a network you most likely would want to have an admin and a group of users.
But what if you have a single computer with only one user?
Is there any advantage or necessity to have an admin account and a user account ?
Is an admin account necessarily more secure to the outside world? as in protection from hackers, malware, viruses, etc.

A:Single User Security

With a single pc you should create a standard user account and use it for everything. Only use the admin account when necessary.

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/206141-single-user-security.html