Windows Support Forum

How to Secure Hard Drive Before Warranty Service

Q: How to Secure Hard Drive Before Warranty Service

I have a HP ENVY m7-010dx that died last night.  Upon power up nothing happens except a continuous slow blinking light on the cap locks key.  I went through their online troubleshooting help section and it looks like it is a hardware issue and will be going in for warranty service.  The big problem I have is that the hard drive has lots of sensitive personal information on it that I believe a good tech could copy and fairly easily decipher.

So what can I do?  I have never removed an internal hard drive and accessed it as an external drive.  I really need to wipe all personal info before returning for warranty service.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: How to Secure Hard Drive Before Warranty Service

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: How to Secure Hard Drive Before Warranty Service

DVDs?  USB flash drive?

How much personal info are you talking about?

Since most of us don't have that much (IMO) personal info on a system...either of the above should do.  Simply copy the data to new media and then delete it from your hard drive before sending.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/536737/how-to-secure-hard-drive-before-warranty-service/
Relevancy 67.51%

My Hard drive is saying imminent failure. It is still under warranty.Where can I organise a replacement in Ireland or UK ?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-Notebooks/Hard-Drive-warranty/td-p/5845033
Relevancy 67.51%

My son purchased this computer JUST OVER a year ago.  After he had it for about 1-2 months, his hard drive crashed.  It was replaced with a new one under warranty. Now, it has crashed once again, and is past the original warranty (expired May 29).  I am wondering if the new hard drive that was put in 1-2 months after he originally purchased this computer would have it's own additional warranty? 

A:Hard Drive Warranty

TLSchneids Hello;Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!I read your post about your warranty question but this is just a community self-help forum staffed by volunteers and we are not authorized to commit HP regarding warranty issues. But, my GUESS would be that no, the warranty on the replacement drive does not extend beyound the warranty on the original laptop -- IF you obtained that drive through HP.  However, if you did not buy the drive from HP,  the original manufacturer of the drive may have their own warranty, and you should check that out.  Western Digital, for example, warranties some of their drive for three years.Good Luck========================================================================I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.---------------------------------------------------------------If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on my post to say thanks.If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution".========================================================================

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Hard-Drive-Warranty/td-p/5651297
Relevancy 67.08%

Think Your Drive is going Poor Warranty of Hard Drive Storages Ok so maybe most have noticed Maybe some have not But in the recent year it seems some storage manufacturers have stepped away from backing their words of quot Reliability quot when it comes to storage Its been some time since I have actually posted here on Drive is of Poor Your going? Hard Drive Storages! Warranty Think the forums but this article needs voiced opinions sent out I ve been wanting Think Your Drive is going? Poor Warranty of Hard Drive Storages! to post on this for some time and after having to purchase some upgrades for my own network it really got me itching to voice my own thoughts and hopefully get others to do the same Storage warranties It seems that a couple of manufacturers above all are making a standard becoming that drives need no further backing past the first year yet we are expected to Think Your Drive is going? Poor Warranty of Hard Drive Storages! pay full pop in excess where we paid the same Think Your Drive is going? Poor Warranty of Hard Drive Storages! and were giving years in place Folks as far as hardware goes outside of a good UPS Uninteruptible Power Supply Battery Backup there exists one of the most important items in computing It holds the most vital information that can be the most devastating to loose in the IT infrastructure or Home Office Computing and can be the biggest pain to recover from Ok so granted we have all these ways of backing up this and that and even additonal redundent options for backup but I dont see why only a One Year Warranty should accompany where just a couple years or so ago almost any EiDE device came stock with at least a year warranty and then there was the option added to get the slightly lesser drive spec with a smaller price tag and then the shorter warranty I near came to terms with this most recent change about a year ago with one of my favorite recommendations Western Digital During a very short diagnosis while calling in the models info to a WD rep I was immediately presented with a quot Were sorry sir we no longer offer year warranties on these items and have never quot Excuse me Ok obviously right off the bat I am dealing with either a complete rookie or one who has had their head in a book of lore instead of computer science So I as I usually seem to end up in a quot school the rep quot session on their employers basic justs Which after a short thesus we moved on to checking the drives warranty which low and behold had about a year left I was then presented with the fact that only drives accompanying the newer mb of cache would carry the year warranty from here out Oh really With that I bid a fair ado and moved on to seeing if I could repair the drive and in fact was able to All the while grinding my peerly whites trying to reason with the fact Ok makes sense for the most part its an easy way to get folks to spend the additonal dollars US on avg or so for an additonal years of warranty and a small burts of performance Fair enough Well looks like even that mb warranty is no longer the case either As WD and even Maxtor clearly stamps the print on every package I could find under immediately available locally which explicitly stated quot One Year Warranty quot I ve never really gave much thought to Maxtors as I have had many problems with them as far as drive reliability longevity goes How ever I did a quick research and found that Hitachi and Seagate have moved up in the ranks of at least backing their own product Even on sub drives unlike the previous mentioned Now WD about years ago or so came out with this quot Lesser Price quot option of for going the much quicker rpm and rpm mb cache drives with a mb cache rpm at a lesser cost and the One Year Warranty as mentioned Which technically should yield a longer spinning drive anyways and the average performance is still very fair and barely noticeable in many current situations But it seems now even on Maxtor s that even if you pop for the... Read more

A:Think Your Drive is going? Poor Warranty of Hard Drive Storages!

Editorials, should probably be in Review section of TSG, but no doubt Hard drive mfr. probably couldnt afford the law suites any longer. Like many things in our society, as soon as trial lawyers get involved, the consumer takes it on the nut.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/think-your-drive-is-going-poor-warranty-of-hard-drive-storages.314560/
Relevancy 66.65%

I receive a Smart Drive error of "Immanent Failure, back-up immediately"... and of course its been telling me this for close to 2yrs now. my Question is this, "Is my Hard Drive covered under its manufacturers warranty or HP's warranty?". My Laptop is no longer warranted by HP but the manufacturer has a 5yr. warranty on its internal hard drives and my hard drive isn't 5yrs old yet. The HHD I'm referring to came installed within my laptop at the time I purchased it. Anything else you need to know? Thank you.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Hard-Drive-Replacement-Warranty/td-p/5757710
Relevancy 66.65%

I have a Hard Disk Short DST 'Failed'Sent the info to HP (you can't talk to anyone)and asked about warranty...never heard back.

A:Crashed hard drive / warranty

@Mik46?, welcome to the forum. This is a peer to peer help forum. The only presence that HP has on it are the Admins and the Mods. Otherwise, none of us works for HP. Your computer was released in 2012.  Therefore, it is over 3 years old and the warranty has expired.  You will have to buy another hard drive that is the same size or larger than the one being replaced.  Here is a guide to help you replace it. If you need further help, you will have to contact HP Customer Service. Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.  

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Crashed-hard-drive-warranty/td-p/5770624
Relevancy 66.22%

About a year ago I decided to get a laptop for my work/schooling need, I purchesed this laptop with a 100GB SSD not knowing how little this would be for the tasks that I was going to be doing on this laptop. I have a blank 1TB hard drive and a hard drive replicator that I could to easily clone the smaller drive onto the large drive. However I still have a fair amount of warrenty present for the laptop. If I swap out the hard drive will this void my warrenty? Thanks, 

A:Will Upgrading my Hard Drive void my Warranty?

Not on a Probook. The hard drive compartment is customer accessible and customer can change hard drive. See p. 35 of the Manual here: Service Manual Post back for any more questions. If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Will-Upgrading-my-Hard-Drive-void-my-Warranty/td-p/5618087
Relevancy 66.22%

Hello Does upgrading the hard drive myself invalidate the warranty? I have a HP Omen 15-ax003na. I have the necessary tools and have replaced drives in other laptops before, although that rubber screw cover looks tough to not aesthetically damage :/

Solved!
View Solution.

A:Does replacing hard drive myself invalidate the warranty? 15...

Typically, upgrading "user upgradable" components doesn't void your warranty, however this computer doesn't contain any user replaceable parts. Please see OMEN by HP Laptop PC - Maintenance and Service Guide, which states; "Removal and replacement procedures for authorized service provider parts;CAUTION: Components described in this chapter should be accessed only by an authorized service provider. Accessing these parts can damage the computer or void the warranty. CAUTION: This computer does not have user-replaceable parts. Only HP authorized service providers should perform the removal and replacement procedures described here. Accessing the internal part could damage the computer or void the warranty." Provided you don't damage anything in the process of changing the hard drive (128GB M.2 SSD), it is unlikely that you will have voided the warranty. If you damage anything while change the drive, you will have voided the warranty. You may also be required to return the original har drive to the computer before receiving warranty service. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Please click the White KUDOS "Thumbs Up" to show your appreciation

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Does-replacing-hard-drive-myself-invalidate-the-warranty-15/td-p/5682985
Relevancy 66.22%

nbsp I think the answer may be obvious for this but I can't find it anywhere so here we gooooo nbsp Ok so I posted on here a few days ago about my failing hard drive and determined that I should get It replaced utilizing the extended warranty that I got which allows free on-site repair nbsp However two days ago I had to go back to drive void Does warranty? the hard changing your my parents house for personal reasons and have not yet updated my address for lenovo I have also not received a call from a technician yet It would not be a big deal but I am starting Does changing your hard drive void the warranty? a job in a couple days where I work as a sales agent from my laptop and I need it to be functional so it can run the appropriate software for Monday nbsp nbsp As I have already gotten the replacement hard drive and recovery USB in the mail from lenovo would it void the warranty if I took it upon myself or a more computer savvy friend of Does changing your hard drive void the warranty? mine to replace it as opposed to wait for the technician to contact me Its not a matter of impatience simply a matter of I need my laptop to be functional so i can work from it Thanks

A:Does changing your hard drive void the warranty?

This is mostly opinion-based, but I'm pretty sure hard drives are CRUs (Customer Replaceable Units). Given that they mailed you the replacement drive, you should be able to install the new one, and mail back the old one.

Did the box with the hard drive come with a return shipping label? If so, just call Lenovo Support and check if you can just do the replacement yourself. Only downside is that you'll also have to do the Windows install again if the drive isn't pre-imaged.

Again, I'd recommend calling to confirm, but if you're comfortable replacing it, it won't void your warranty.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/Does-changing-your-hard-drive-void-the-warranty/td-p/3357410
Relevancy 66.22%
A:Dell Warranty - Faulty Hard Drive

Good question!

First, what brand is the hard drive? Just about every manufacturer has their own diagnostic software. Go to their site and download it, and test the hard drive yourself.

Then, if you feel you should still send it in, wipe it clean first, using tools such as Eraser.

Hope this helps,
~Jonathan

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/57490-dell-warranty-faulty-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 66.22%

Spent a good while "chatting" w/ NewEgg & Seagate - India about OEM vs "Retail" hard drives.

NewEgg clearly states on their site that many "OEM" Seagate internal drives drives have 5 yr parts & labor "Manufacturer's Warranty" (on the specific HDD specs page).

Seagate - India, tells me that drives designated as OEM will NOT have any warranty (or support) honored by Seagate to the end user.

For those w/ experience in this, what's the actual truth about OEM drives & warranties, from NewEgg or any other E-tailer? Is NewEgg (& other online retailers) WRONG about the warranty, or is Seagate WRONG? They can't BOTH be right.

Thanks.

Relevancy 65.36%

Hey everyone. I bought a HP laptop from the HP online store in USA in November 2015. I am currently in India and my laptop hard drive has failed and needs to be replaced. Is my laptop warranty valid outside the country of purchase(USA)? Can I get the hard drive replaced under warranty in India even though I bought the laptop in USA? I have read somewhere that replacing hardware under warranty can only be done in the country of purchase. Is this true? 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Replacing-hard-drive-under-warranty-outside-country-of/td-p/5658171
Relevancy 65.36%

About a month ago hard drive, but contact I Likely Dell? to warranty. broken best How am under my computer had a quot SMART event quot which I found Likely broken hard drive, but I am under warranty. How best to contact Dell? out means an early warning sign that the hard drive was about to fail I ve only owned this Dell Likely broken hard drive, but I am under warranty. How best to contact Dell? PC for years and have either a three or four year warranty Today the computer started flashing weird image patterns on the screen and then froze on one of them I tried to restart the computer multiple times but each time I just see different bizarre lines on the screen and the PC immediately freezes I m pretty sure this is the defective hard drive that the SMART event was warning about My questions are What is the best way to contact Dell By phone email some kind of live chat Any specific phone number or email or link for what is the best way would be highly appreciated What are Dell s customer service days and hours Do I need any information other than my Service Tag and Express Service Tag What are the difference between the two If it is the hard drive that needs to be placed how will that happen I don t really know how to take apart a computer Would Dell send somebody Would they make sure to reinstall Windows I have no idea what the procedure for this would be Thank you so much in advance for your answers

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19974250
Relevancy 60.2%

Hi i have a Lenovo Ideapad Z running Windows secure boot gpt paritioning and UEFI bios The laptop comes with a factory shipped TB Sata drive which i want to replace with a Kingston V SDD GB drive I have followed this guide How to Migrate OS to new Hard disk Ive run this in another desktop it completes and i shut down remove the destination and insert it into the laptop - power up and it blue screens with There GPT to Hard Migrating Cloning drive Boot HDD / SDD Secure has been an unexpected error message Trying to access the recovery partition says it is damaged but looks like Migrating / Cloning GPT Secure Boot HDD to SDD Hard drive its almost going to load Looking at the drive in EaseUS paritition master the paritions look a perfect copy apart from the proportional sizing AHCI is enabled in bios - i've tried EaseUS Migrating / Cloning GPT Secure Boot HDD to SDD Hard drive Backup clone task was successfull but again blue screens but this time with a attached device cant be found One thing i wasnt sure about the PC i done the cloning in has a RAID stripe setup but not sure if this effects it Any one had success in cloning a GPT drive over to a SSD Am i missing something I cant do a fresh installation of windows as i dont have recovery discs nor does the onekey recovery software allow me to do so and id like to keep the recovery parition in tact really Any help much appreciated

A:Migrating / Cloning GPT Secure Boot HDD to SDD Hard drive

Lenovo Ideapad Z585

I cant do a fresh installation of windows 8 as i dont have recovery discs,

Have you made the OEM manufacturer's Recovery Disks?

Information

We always assume you have made your Recovery Disks using the OEM manufacturer's Recovery Media Creator app the first day you had your new PC.
& made the Startup Repair CD. (Windows 8 only)
Recovery Drive - Create with USB Flash Drive in Windows 8
System Repair Disc - Create in Windows 8 (Windows 8 only)

I would recommend you making the OEM manufacturer's Recovery DVD's or USB drive.
How to make Lenovo Windows 8 Recovery DVD
Lenovo Solution Center shows CD/DVD recovery media for Microsoft Windows 8 - ThinkCentre, ThinkStation, ThinkPad, IdeaPad, IdeaCentre

or
You can order the Microsoft official OEM Recovery disks from the OEM manufacturer's website.
You can Order Lenovo Recovery Disks from here:
Lenovo Support - Home (US)
Click on Parts & Accessories.
or
https://www.lenovorecovery.com/Extranet/Home.aspx

From the manual for Lenovo G480.

Originally Posted by Lenovo

When the hard disk drive or solid state drive is replaced because of a failure, no
product recovery program is on the new drive. In this case, you must use the
Recovery Disc Set for the computer. Order the Recovery Disc Set and the drive at
the same time so that you can recover the new drive with the pre-installed
software when they arrive.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/39075-migrating-cloning-gpt-secure-boot-hdd-sdd-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 60.2%

Ok This is my current system I use I have two removable request info drive secure setup... hard on hard drive drawers that I use One has my normal hard drive that I use for everyday computer usage surfing and reading emails The other request info on secure hard drive setup... removable drawer has what I call my quot Secure quot hard drive I put it in and use it when I do banking transactions and online trading I DO NOT use this for any web surfing or email browsing I am sure you can see why I have this setup My question is this A friend just bought a brand new computer and wants to put together a similar setup With external hard drives being cheap at a few stores near me I was wondering how I could setup a computer to quot BOOT quot from a external drive rather than the internal drive Is there a way to do that This way he does not have to buy additional drawers to set his system up like mine If you can have the pc BOOT from an external drive can you tell me how to set that up I am pretty computer literate but just never thought through how to do that The way I would like to have it setup would be to only connect the USB to the External HD when wanting to boot from it for secure financial transactions Unless anyone can convince me that if it is always connected and not used unless chosen to be BOOTED from that no virus s can quot Jump quot from the internal hard drive being used to the external quot Secure quot one Thanks in advance Rupe nbsp

A:request info on secure hard drive setup...

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1676
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/usb-boot.mspx
http://www.lifehacker.com/software/windows/boot-windows-from-a-usb-drive-141290.php

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/request-info-on-secure-hard-drive-setup.484828/
Relevancy 59.77%

I purchased a new xps from dell over two weeks ago nbsp Currently the laptop is working fine however I ve tried tried to register the laptop under my products multiple times since receiving the laptop nbsp Whenever to new for customer not tag reach service register service because xps13 to unable + warranty found unable I try to enter the service tag it keeps giving me an error quot Products not found nbsp There rsquo s no match for the Service Tags that were entered quot nbsp At first I thought maybe it was because the laptop was new but it new xps13 unable to register for warranty because service tag not found + unable to reach customer service has been weeks now and I m still getting the same message Not only that but I ve been trying to contact dell through email for weeks now and I always get the same quot you will get a response in hour quot reply but nobody ever replies nbsp I feel like the biggest moron right now because I paid for years of premium support and you won t even answer a freaking email nbsp I m pretty close to just returning this laptop and buying a piece of macbook because at least apple responds to support requests

A:new xps13 unable to register for warranty because service tag not found + unable to reach customer service

Was the system purchased direct from Dell?

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19997104
Relevancy 58.91%

I am new to posting on the site and I have searched for this issue but come up blank Here is my problem I am attempting to recover data to Accessing hard drive data recover on a secure failing folders from Accessing secure folders to recover data on a failing hard drive a hard drive that is failing - no partition found I have been able to scan and mount the partition NTFS and I have recovered the public folders the issue is with the other two user folders I see they are write protected I am unable to remove the write protection or grant my self even read access to the folders I have mounted them as I said and made an image of the partition which is what I am working on but of course the two folders are not copying to the image as I do not have permission to access them The Drive is an Gig partitioned and formatted NTFS with Windows XP I have tried a rescue CD in the system with no luck and now I have the drive in a an external dock on a different system running Win I am using my Admin Acct This seems to be an issue like the Ransome ware infections where users lose access to their data any suggestions welcome and greatly appreciated Mike Ears Hopin P

A:Accessing secure folders to recover data on a failing hard drive

You sure it's not just a permission issue? Try How to take ownership of a file or a folder in Windows XP.  7 is pretty much the same. Just takes a lot more clicks.

Oh, and in the future, backup your data to a second physical disk or the cloud. This will avoid the inevitable.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/503184/accessing-secure-folders-to-recover-data-on-a-failing-hard-drive/
Relevancy 58.48%

Spent a good while "chatting" w/ NewEgg & Seagate - India about OEM vs "Retail" hard drives.

NewEgg clearly states on their site that many "OEM" Seagate internal drives drives have 5 yr parts & labor "Manufacturer's Warranty" (on the specific HDD specs page).

Seagate - India, tells me that drives designated as OEM will NOT have any warranty (or support) honored by Seagate to the end user.

For those w/ experience in this, what's the actual truth about OEM drives & warranties, from NewEgg or any other E-tailer?

A:Warranty difference OEM hard drive vs "Retail"

OEM you have to go by what the Manufacturer of company says as they're the one going to help you out. So OEM drives if you buy them from a vendor at a computer show they'll replacement for free. The vendor not the Manufacturer company. HDDs I just buy them wholesale and still get the protection from the manufacture. Unless NewEgg is going to protect after 5 years down the line, but you'll have to get that in writting..

Retail - Price is higher unless you get it on clearance then it would be the same price of OEM but you get protection

OEM - Price is cheaper low overhead
OEM - no hardware brackets
OEM - no retail box
OEM - no manual
OEM - no warranty (unless you a PC repair shop of PC vendor since you would buy in blunk)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/warranty-difference-oem-hard-drive-vs-retail.86123/
Relevancy 57.19%

hello nbsp brought a ideapad series few months back ang got the motherboard problem times nbsp asked them to replace for one to one nbsp customer service Ideapad 500 - issue warranty support Ideapad 500 - warranty service issue center is really pathetic and very irresponsive guys they dont call mail to update nbsp they just take their own sweet time nbsp when i call to call center for the update they said its all already ready and asked me to collect but the support center guy after waiting for mins in queue he says no havent heard anything from the management nbsp really asked him who is management the reply was lenovo management nbsp why the support center doesnt work on weekends nbsp do expect your consumers to take half day leave just to go and wait in the support center to hear such irresponsive support answers nbsp within just months did visits to support center and still one more time to collect that dump nbsp i dont want support service business with lenovo and just wasting my time and efforts nbsp much much appriciated if you pay me my laptop money nbsp brought this laptop by beliving my friend's suggestion that the hardware is real professionally good nbsp haha nbsp by completely non-satisfied consumer nbsp Mod's Edit Additional information added to Subject line for clarity of issue nbsp

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-IdeaPad-100-305-500-Edge/very-problematic-laptop/td-p/3385821
Relevancy 57.19%

Hi, I purchased an Inspiron 1543 on Oct 27, 2015 from an authorized dell store at GIP Mall Noida and since then I have been strutggling with Dell Warranty team to update the warranty status under dell festive offers. They have updated only NBD warranty date to Oct 2018 sine I have purchased two years extended warranty, but all the other warranty dates are yet to be updated and they are not even replying my emails. The worst customer service I have ever seen. I will never recommend anytone to buy a dell product. I have provided everything they reqested already. My service tag #<ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy>. My contact # are<ADMIN NOTE: Phone number removed per privacy policy>. Can anyone help? And specially Dell should not sell it's product through cheaters like Skope computers(A dell authorized showroom, GIM Mall, Noida.) They are thieves and cheaters and not have manners.

A:Warranty issue and customer service

Hello. You have posted on the Laptop Audio discussion board. I suggest that you post on the Customer Care board. Do not include your service tag and contact numbers, because those will be removed as per forum policy. If someone from Dell replies to your post, they will ask you to send them that information via the forum's private message feature.
I hope you find success in resolving your warranty issues.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3517/t/19678891
Relevancy 57.19%

I have purshased a lenovo y50 laptop on 19th March during my trip to USA then I returned Egypt back and discovered that the laptop is defected with dead area in the trackpad and a horrible display with very ugly yellow color.

I contacted Lenovo Egypt and they told me to go to service provider to get these issues fixed. The service provider said they will replace the trackpad but they see that the screen is normal and they have no solution for it.

Before I bougth it, I made sure that all waranty services can be done from Egypt but Lenovo Egypt refused to replace the laptop and the service provider refuses to fix the screen. It is really disappointing!!

[Moderator note: Edited to remove personal information]

A:Lenovo Y50 - 70 Egypt Warranty Service

How to escalate this issue to Global Lenovo support?

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/Lenovo-Y50-70-Egypt-Warranty-Service/td-p/2055058
Relevancy 56.76%

I read some comments indicating that enabling the indexing service for faster searches actually slows Windows down I checked my two PCs and discovered that some of the disks have it enabled and other do not Desktop C-Drive Enabled GB Desktop D-Drive Enabled GB Recovery drive Desktop USB Drive Enabled GB Laptop C-Drive Disabled GB Laptop USB Drive Enabled GB The USB drives are used for Carbonite's mirror image backup Screen shots of the two laptop drives are in this Dropbox folder https www dropbox com sh fkvb yqpzh ra AAA I nHmvB C WQTu z Fja dl Thinking they should all be the same I chose one that had it enabled the Desktop USB Drive and unchecked that option The disk started thrashing furiously It continued for minutes The progress bar did not show any progress completely blank Thinking I had made a mistake I clicked the Cancel button and tried to exit I got the same screen with the indexing option unchecked Thinking I could recover by rechecking that option I did and clicked OK The disk started thrashing furiously as before and has been for abotu minutes Questions Have I hosed that disk What should I do now Should I have this options checked or not for each of these drives Thanks PS What's with the KB attachment limit I don't think I have any service indexing and/or hard drive drive Allow on USB files that small

A:Allow indexing service on hard drive and/or USB drive

- Don't worry. When you change the index setting then Windows must update the index(es) (again) and re-read the entire drive. That's causing the "thrashing".
- How many times do you use the search feature ? If you don't use the search funtion that much then you can disable it.
- Do you need to pull info from those backups regularly ? If not then I would disable indexing for the USB drives.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/571112/allow-indexing-service-on-hard-drive-andor-usb-drive/
Relevancy 56.33%

Hello nbsp Service Warranty in Indi... not honored International I purchased a Y - laptop in US nbsp one nbsp year back I did check on the International Warranty Service both with US and Indian sales support teams and after that went ahead with the purchase of the laptop with year warranty extension nbsp nbsp Now I am in India and got an hinge problem with the laptop As per this link nbsp https forums lenovo com t Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series Y - -Touch-only-customer-review-broken-hinge- Lenovo investigated the issue and created a nbsp service TIP nbsp SF -I nbsp HT nbsp But the Indian customer support agents are International Warranty Service not honored in Indi... trivializing IWS and said that I need to take the laptop back to US for repair Even though the product is under IWS and supported in India it is disappointing to deal with arrogant customer support agents who are declining the repair by quoting IWS When I nbsp mention nbsp the nbsp service TIP International Warranty Service not honored in Indi... they are saying it is only for US and doesn t apply to IWS Could someone please let me know if that is true Would Lenovo IWS not cover a design defect nbsp This is my first Lenovo laptop and it is very unfortunate to go through this I went to local service centers twice already and each travel took me hours Hope someone can help nbsp Praveen

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/International-Warranty-Service-not-honored-in-India/td-p/3434745
Relevancy 56.33%

I sent my Asus K52Je to the warranty service last month, for a HD issue.

When returned, the HD was strangely partitioned:

Now, the Disk 0 has:
- a first (hidden) and not recognized partition: a 336 GB (!) RECOVERY;
- C:\ is the 116 GB NTFS
- D:\ is the 13.6 GB NTFS.

Should I resize the RECOVERY partition without any problem??
And after that, could I extend the C:\ partition? (I don't want to lose my licence and prefer not to use the 9-DVD-recovery tool...)

thank you.

A:resizing Recovery partition after a warranty service

You will under no circumstances lose your Win7 license as long as you have a genuine Win7 COA sticker on the machine. You can reinstall this in any way you wish and MS will protect you, which is why they put the Product Key on the COA sticker - you should back it up now in case it rubs off.

In fact most tech enthusiasts prefer to get rid of the bloatware by Clean Reinstalling Factory OEM Windows 7. Everything needed is in the blue link. Asus may not support a Clean Reinstall but they cannot void your hardware warranty. I would simply not tell them if I reinstall. You'll get better support here anyway.

With such incompetent partitioning I wonder if Recovery will even run. Can you cue it up to see? I would also make the Recovery disks now so you have a backup if you want the preinstalled Win7. Another backup is to save a Win7 backup image of your customized install: Backup Complete Computer - Create an Image Backup. With these backups you may feel you can afford to delete the Recovery partition.

Either way you'll want to shrink it. I'd use Disk mgmt first to see how much it wants to shrink it. But you'll need to use free Partition Wizard bootable CD to safely Resize C to the left afterwards, which can also be used to shrink Recovery more if Disk Mgmt bumps into files in the way. You'll need to leave ample breathing room for Recovery to function. Partition Wizard Move/Resize Partition Video Help.

Personally I would rely on Recovery disks if i ever needed to fall back to factory condition to resell the unit. Otherwise I'd rely on a Win7 backup image of a factory install after I Clean Up Factory Bloatware, or for the very best performance I'd Clean Reinstall.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/233881-resizing-recovery-partition-after-warranty-service.html
Relevancy 56.33%

I wonder if in your country Lenovo guys ask you to wait 45 days for warranty works in service centre.In St.Petersburg, Russia I was asked to wait 45 days cuz spare parts are not available. And it is for really new laptop I just bought.Is it really firm service or home kitchen?I just wanna say Hi for VP in Lenovo company responsible for the customer service  Please let me know your awaiting time. Who give more?

DSC_0651.JPG ?989 KB

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-B-and-G-Series-Notebooks/45-days-term-waiting-of-warranty-service-for-Lenovo-notebook/td-p/3397918
Relevancy 56.33%

I had sent my Y50-70 to Giat Solutions Service Center (Malaysia) to fix its screen. They found out that the part of the separator inside one of my USB port came out a little. But they decided it was CID (Customer Induced Damage). I recalled that the USB port was slightly tighter than the others when i first received it. I take a very good care of my laptop and i had not drop it once even after 1 year. The damage of the USB port looks nothing like those pictures Lenovo posted on their official website. I m very disappointed with the service since i paid a lot of money for that machine. If they cant fix the USB port for me, i can no longer trust the Lenovo Products. Please assist me.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/USB-PORT-WARRANTY-REJECTED-BY-SERVICE-CENTER-Y50-70/td-p/3414903
Relevancy 56.33%

I am so frustrated with HP's customer service I will never buy an HP product again because of their nbsp horrendous customer service and the fact that HP either doesn't honor their warranties customer Honoring Warranty/TERRIBLE service Not or they make it exceedingly difficult to do so nbsp I have an HP chromebook Pavilion Not Honoring Warranty/TERRIBLE customer service nbsp -c dx that has a malfunctioning touchpad and no one from HP is helping me Intermittently my touchpad won't work The cursor pointer starts to shake vibrate making it almost impossible to click on what's intended and the scroll function freezes up Also a powerwash has not fixed the problem I started calling a couple of weeks ago while still under the one year warranty HP told me my chromebook was out of warranty It was not They had an incorrect purchase date They told Not Honoring Warranty/TERRIBLE customer service me to scan and send proof of Not Honoring Warranty/TERRIBLE customer service purchase I did twice to two different people and two different email addresses I was told my chromebook would be repaired and to wait for the box to ship it in nbsp I have an order number nbsp BFBB nbsp but I have received nothing According to the order status online it says waiting for customer action nbsp I was told by one of the several people I've spoken to that he would personally make sure my issue would be solved but refused to give me his full name Now when I reply to the emails I previously got from customer service I get automated replies stating my chromebook is out of warranty and I can no longer get email support I just called customer service and he said I still need to send in my receipt for proof of purchase SERIOUSLY HP you are doing terrible business by making it so difficult for people to have their problems fixed And shame on you for not honoring your warranties nbsp Solved View Solution

A:Not Honoring Warranty/TERRIBLE customer service

Hi @bassplayinlady ,

I sent you a private message. If you are not sure how to check your private messages then this post has instructions that will guide you through the process.

Regards,George

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Not-Honoring-Warranty-TERRIBLE-customer-service/td-p/4399758
Relevancy 56.33%

Hi This is a rant plea for help from someone at Dell nbsp For the past months I ve been through the wringer with Dell s warranty service nbsp Short story for patience horrible service with Dell's Out warranty of those who don t want to read this entire tail of woe nbsp I ve been through LCD screens one motherboard replacement nbsp and now one entire system replacement - Out of patience with Dell's horrible warranty service and I still have a computer with issues because Dell keeps sending me JUNK and wrong parts - nbsp And to top it off my warranty is about to run out And now the long story My story begins almost a year ago when I purchased a new Inspiron nbsp I loved that laptop and things were great up until Feb of this year when the LCD screen developed an issue with burn-in image retention I contacted Dell tech support about this and the tech agreed that the screen needed replacing He said he d send out an on-site service tech with an LCD replacement kit and a motherboard nbsp I thought sending the motherboard was strange since the issue was clearly with the LCD screen nbsp So I asked why they d send a motherboard nbsp The tech said incase the replacement LCD doesn t fix it nbsp Strange This should have been a red flag but I just shrugged it off Jump forward a few days later and the on-site tech shows up nbsp He says he doesn t know how to replace the screen in this model laptop nbsp He said any time he s tried the clips in the bezel break nbsp He also said Dell should have sent the entire LCD assembly as there are no instructions to replace the LCD screen only nbsp He called up Dell s on-site tech support line to see if they could supply him with instructions and Dell instructed him TO REPLACE THE MOTHERBOARD for an issue with an LCD screen nbsp He didn t know what to make of it but did what they said and replaced a PERFECTLY GOOD motherboard which OF COURSE didn t fix anything nbsp So the tech says to ask them for the entire LCD assembly nbsp So I contact Dell and ask them for the specific part number which to their credit they send nbsp But of course there are still issues with the screen Dead pixels backlight bleed and the touch screen often has a mind of its own and causes the cursor to go crazy nbsp Also at this point I m noticing the laptop runs much warmer than before there s a loud quot coil whine quot and the touchpad now randomly stops sometimes nbsp So my perfectly good motherboard was replaced with a broken one Great By this time screen number had arrived nbsp But it was the wrong part nbsp It was the k UHD screen and I had the p version nbsp I am a software developer and I use Linux and a lot of Java software which does not scale properly on Hi-DPI screens So once again I had to contact Dell and tell them I can t use a k screen After sending the wrong part Dell said they d replace the entire system with a refurbished one nbsp Great Finally an end to this I hoped nbsp But nope Dell sends me an Inspiron quot gaming laptop quot with a k screen Even after I specifically told them I am unable to use a k screen nbsp However by this time I had well and truly had enough nbsp I just wanted to be done with the entire ordeal nbsp But as I am beginning to learn there is apparently no end to it because guess what the Inspiron has a few issues of its own nbsp The screen dims flickers when certain shades of blue enter the screen lots of owners are complaining about this it s an inherent flaw of the LG quot pentle quot screen used in these There are a few youtube videos that show this if you search nbsp I could have just changed the resolution to p and lived with the flicker but nbsp It OVERHEATS LIKE CRAZY and the fan never shuts off nbsp Even when idle nbsp Tonight nbsp as I was trying to use it the thermal protection kicked in and it actually turned itself off right when I was in the middle of working nbsp UNACCEPTABLE I ve been patient and courteous throughout all this nbsp But now I ve had enough I am not going ... Read more

A:Out of patience with Dell's horrible warranty service

Tough luck. I've also have had more hardware issues than I can count, including trackpad failures, fan issues, lights burnt out, etc... I just continuously had stuff break on my $1400 laptop for no reason. 
After months of dealing with this ***, I decided I just wanted Dell to buy the laptop back from me or give me store credit as that's really the only repayment for the amount of stress and issues this laptop has brought me. I was basically told by the highest level sales manager that I cannot return the laptop and I just have to go the Dell's support system. There is really nothing you can do except constantly call in service requests and once your warranty expires, like me, you are pretty much screwed.
That being said, I will never buy any Dell product again.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19682784
Relevancy 55.9%

Used a reformatting XP software disc to reformat my hard drive. The computer was operating extremely slow. After formatting and loading XP everything worked except I could not get an internet service. Both the phone line and DSL did not work. Check with a spare lap top computer and the DSL was okay.

A:No DSL service after reformating hard drive with XP

Sounds to me as if you need a driver for your computer. All extra software you downloaded when you formatted the hard drive were deleted. Go online with your other computer, download the software you need from the manufacturer's website, and install it on the computer that you just formatted. Or, if it came with a disc, install the drivers from that.

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-xp/no-dsl-service-after-reformating-hard-drive-with-xp/202993.html
Relevancy 55.9%

When I went to buy a laptop, I have not considered any other laptop as I thought Dell would be perfect for me. However, let me tell you, it's not. Within the period of 1 month, I started getting touch pad issues which is not resolved completely yet. This is not ended here. I bought this laptop (which was the worst decision I have ever made) in October 2014 and this Dell dashboard shows my warranty expiring in July 2015. I am emailing to them and nobody even bothers to give a reply. On phone support I have asked several times that I want to extend my warranty, however nobody helped me for that too. Is this your SO CALLED superior customer service and quality product? If yes then please stop selling Dell Inspiron 3542 model. Pathetic touch pad! LET ME KNOW HOW CAN I FILE A COMPLAINT as I cant take this harassment further.

A:How to file a complaint against dell customer service and Warranty

Contact link, bottom of the screen.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19616589
Relevancy 55.9%

I ordered Precision M3800.
But warrant information on support website is incorrect.

How can I fix it?

Ship date: January 01, 0001
Service: No information available.

A:Incorrect service warranty information on support website

Hi,
Thank you for writing to us!
Kindly private message the service tag and email address.
Thanks
Robin

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19985023
Relevancy 55.9%

I ordered Precision M3800.
But warrant information on support website is incorrect.

How can I fix it?

Ship date: January 01, 0001
Service: No information available.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19985797
Relevancy 55.04%

Does anyone have a Hard drive recovery service that they can recommend? I have a client that needs data from her hard drive, but all of the bids I have gotten so far have been $800 and up. I have seen a couple advertised on the web for $399 for an invasive recovery and another one that was I think $149. I'm a little weary to try these without a recommendation.

Does anyone have an affordable service they can recommend?

Thanks!

-Scott

Relevancy 55.04%

I sent my laptop in to be serviced under warranty because the keyboard would not work. was denied service because of water damage but now my screen doesn't work, can someone help

A:My screen won't turn on after service was denied on warranty due to water damage

Water can destroy a laptop or any other electronic device. Chances are that the water sat underneath the keyboard and flowed onto the motherboard where it dried causing corrosion and damaging the motherboard permanently. You could take the laptop to a repair shop and they could give you a repair estimate. Of course, you will have to pay for this repair. If a liquid is spilled on a laptop in the future, immediately open it and turn it upside down. This allows the liquid not to hit and pool on the motherboard, or in a keyboard

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-screen-wont-turn-on-after-service-was-denied-on-warranty-due-to-water-damage.178774/
Relevancy 54.18%

How to obtain the four screws that secure the caddy to the laptop body?  
(Not the screws that keep the HDD inside the caddy.)
Does anyone know the specification for these screws, and where I can buy them?
Thanks in advance.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19983365
Relevancy 54.18%

Hi all,

I just installed service pack 2 and having done that, upon reboot, Hard disk is not detected.
What to do?

Relevancy 52.46%

Unfortunately my hard drive failed when I was partion warranty 1420 notebook. HD a D the drive have did replace like my to Dell The does Had work. i... Bestbuy drive in not the out of town and had to have my family take it in I had backup files I created with the spotmau program that had both the C and D drive letters I now only have a C drive listed and am unsure what to do I am not very experienced with the deep end of the partion stuff I have been using the laptop for a month now and have transfered as much of the fileinfo that they were able to save I don t want to do a Had to replace the HD in my Dell 1420 notebook. Bestbuy did the warranty work. The drive does not have a D drive partion like i... restore if it will mess up what I have now but I am concerned that I will not be able to save properly for recovery later I am trying to get to a point that I can create a hd image to save for the next crisis I have a GB HD in the Laptop and a GB external drive That I would like to create the image on and then set to the side for that day when I have to restore to a new HD again I am looking for some guidance so that I will have the ability to do this stuff myself The HD hardware is not reliable as you folks probably already know Even with the warranty it still costs alot of money Thanks in advance for your help Beryla

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/240862/had-to-replace-the-hd-in-my-dell-1420-notebook-bestbuy-did-the-warranty-work-the-drive-does-not-have-a-d-drive-partion-like-it-used-to-have/
Relevancy 52.46%

I have a logo running in my taskbar called Secure Keyboard Service 5.0. I've found the running process called kdfmgr.exe but when I end it, it comes back.

What is this part of? Virtumonde?

Anyone know the best way to get rid of it?

A:Secure Keyboard Service 5.0

Please download OTMoveIt2 by OldTimer and save to your Desktop.Double-click on OTMoveIt2.exe to launch the program.Copy the file(s)/folder(s) paths listed below - highlight everything in the quote box and press CTRL+C or right-click and choose Copy.C:\WINDOWS\system32\kdfmgr.exe

Return to OTMoveIt2, right-click in the open text box labeled "Paste List of Files/Folders to be Moved" (under the light blue bar) and choose Paste.Click the red MoveIt! button.The list will be processed and the results will be displayed in the right-hand pane.Highlight everything in the Results window (under the green bar), press CTRL+C or right-click, choose Copy, right-click again and Paste it in your next reply.Click Exit when done.A log of the results is automatically created and saved to C:\_OTMoveIt\MovedFiles \mmddyyyy_hhmmss.log the date/time the tool was run.-- Note: If a file or folder cannot be moved immediately you may be asked to reboot your computer in order to finish the move process. If asked to reboot, choose Yes. If not, reboot anyway.Caution: Be careful of what you copy and paste with this tool. OTMoveIt is a powerful program, designed to move highly persistent files and folders. Not following the directions as instructed or using incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system.Please follow the the instructions for using Vundofix in BC's self-help tutorial: "How To Remove Vundo/Winfixer Infection".After running VundoFix, a text file named vundofix.txt will have automatically been saved to the root of the system drive, usually at C:\vundofix.txt. Please copy & paste the contents of that text file into your next reply.Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune & save it to your desktop. DO NOT use yet. Please download and install SUPERAntiSpyware FreeDouble-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and unzip into the program's folder.)Under the "Configuration and Preferences", click the Preferences... button.Click the "General and Startup" tab, and under Start-up Options, make sure "Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts" box is unchecked.Click the "Scanning Control" tab, and under Scanner Options, make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):Close browsers before scanning.Scan for tracking cookies.Terminate memory threats before quarantining.Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program.Do not run a scan just yet.Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.Click the Empty Selected button.If you use Firefox browser click Firefox at the top and choose: Select AllClick the Empty Selected button.
If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.If you use Opera browser click Opera at the top and choose: Select AllClick the Empty Selected button.
If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.Note: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty "Windows Temp" ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator".Scan with SUPERAntiSpyware as follows:Launch the program and back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.On the left, make sure you check C:... Read more

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/128937/secure-keyboard-service-50/
Relevancy 52.46%

Hello Guys,

I have a one Service Process which is my own application.
Actually i want to prevent user to stop or restart form "Services.msc"
because its a interactive service.

thanks in Advance.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/secure-service-process-344692.html
Relevancy 52.46%

Does anyone have a recommendation for a secure DNS service that I could try. I'd like to add to the following list:

I'm particularly looking for DNS services that include the option to configure the protection level.

A:Secure DNS service - alternatives?

A possibility

Internet Guide Setup - Dyn

Scroll down to 13.7. Better DNS:

Probably the Best Free Security List in the World - Page 13

Also look into DNSCrypt is you have not

DNSCrypt project homepage

Also, have a look at GRCs DNS Spoofability test

https://www.grc.com/dns/dns.htm

And this DNS Randomness Test

https://www.dns-oarc.net/oarc/services/dnsentropy

A Guy

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/334098-secure-dns-service-alternatives.html
Relevancy 52.03%

I have an web application that runs under Tomcat on a Using to ICACLS service (Tomcat) secure a standalone Windows box and I am trying to make this more secure prior to some upcoming penetration testing by a new potential customer One of the many things I have done is to create a new non-administrator user account quot serviceAcc quot within Windows and then setup the Using ICACLS to secure a service (Tomcat) Tomcat service to run Using ICACLS to secure a service (Tomcat) under this account and start automatically I have also made the directory under which all files applicable to the application including Tomcat itself amp the JRE belong to serviceAcc as per the steps outlined in the answer given at nbsp http answers microsoft com en-us windows forum Using ICACLS to secure a service (Tomcat) windows -files block-a-folder-from-other-users-on-windows- b fd ffb- c - f- - This has all worked well However I now have to automate as much of the installation setup procedure as possible - i e write a batch file as this is subsequently going to be installed on hundreds of non-networked PCs by staff with little or no knowledge of it I have been unable to replicate the results of the manual steps given in the linked answer using icacls and when using the commands below which is the closest approximate match I have so far managed the service fails to start with quot access is denied quot Could anyone help me with the exact icacls commands to replicate the conditions from the manual GUI configuration please Thank you Mark icacls C testDir setowner serviceAcc T C Q icacls C testDir grant r Administrators OI CI F T Q inheritance e icacls C testDir grant r serviceAcc OI CI GE GR RA REA WD AD WA WEA DC RC T Q inheritance r

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/2e00827b-ea42-4721-a0da-704264b14190/using-icacls-to-secure-a-service-tomcat?forum=w7itprosecurity
Relevancy 52.03%

So here's my first post. Been working on a computer, was mega infected with all sorts of lovelies. Ran AVG, AVG Antispyware, Adaware 2007, Avira Antivir, and Kaspersky internet security on it. Seems clean now, however, there are 2 programs in add/remove that will not uninstall. Pretty sure they are malware or something of the sort, as a lot of the infected compy's I work on have these items in add/remove. The name of the programs are "Internet Service" and "Secure Browsing". When you hit change/remove, it pops up a box saying "You should reboot prior to uninstalling this software. Reboot now?" with an OK or cancel button. Hitting cancel takes you back to add/remove, OK reboots. Even after reboot, hitting change/remove pops up the same box. Tried Google, but those two phrases are common enough that I can't find anything. Any help would be much appreciated.

A:Secure Browsing And Internet Service

hello and welcome to bleepingcomputerIf you really want to delete the program you can always use registry editor to do that:start>run>regeditclick HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\uninstallfind that program you want to delete and right click it and select delete. Now you should create a system restore point.please read the tutorial here: system restore tutorial

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/140708/secure-browsing-and-internet-service/
Relevancy 51.17%

i'm looking for one but it should not be gmail.can you tell me if i've any options?protonmail's wating time is too long for me.

A:free secure email service except for protonmail?

By "Secure" do you mean Encrypted? I Googled free encrypted mail service:https://www.google.com/search?q=fre...

http://www.computing.net/answers/security/free-secure-email-service-except-for-protonmail/40214.html
Relevancy 51.17%

I use google drive as my primary online backup, can anyone suggest a second good online backup service which is both
SECURE and FREE?

that way if google loses my data it's still on a second server and my harddrive.
thanks

A:Any recommendations for secure online backup service?

None are secure and free. You can pay, but then your 'security' is still not 100% guarantee'd.

But, be assured, Dropbox/Google/Microsoft aren't going to lose your data ...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/any-recommendations-for-secure-online-backup-service.198239/
Relevancy 51.17%

I've trieddeleting cookiesdeleting temporary internet filesclearing the ssl slatemaking sure ssl 2.0, 3.0 and whatnot are enabled (or whatever)re-registering the dll filesupdating to IE 7.0 (8.0 will not install)reseting IE 7.0time and date on computer is finecalling both microsoft and compaq only to find they'll help me if I pay them $60... bleep them got a new antivirus thingieI've tried this.I'm wondering why this would happen so suddently. It used to work fine.After reading a bunch of things about service pack 3 I'm not sure I want it. I just want my internet to work and be able to update the quickbooks that's on my computer. Any help is greatly appreciated!

A:windows xp service pack 3/can't log into secure sites

Error messages...verbatim details, please.

System manufacturer and model?

Valid license for Windows XP?

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/230895/windows-xp-service-pack-3cant-log-into-secure-sites/
Relevancy 51.17%

I had a Maxtor hard drive go bad in 6 months. I emailed them with the information. Here was their reply. How do I Know their hard drives don't lie in their warehouse for 2 years.

At 08/08/2001 02:35 PM Maxtor wrote - I regret to inform you that the drive itself is out of warranty.
The warranty is not from your date of purchase, but from the drive's manufacture date (which is
stamped on the drive itself). I apologize for the inconvenience that this may cause you, and hope
that you will remain a loyal Maxtor customer.

Relevancy 49.88%

sir service engineer told me that your ram socket burns due to heat or power fluctuation  and so we have to change your motherboard for that and this is not covered in your warranty. i have adp warranty .So can i arugu with them in these conditions  ?Is warranty doesnot cover issue due to power fluctuation , which cover accidental protection, too ?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/is-adp-warranty-and-standard-warranty-doesnot-cover-issue/td-p/5835196
Relevancy 49.88%

I have been looking at getting a TB hard drive the setup and reason on my computer I won t explain However the brand I like the look of is Seagate WD choose to go green which is about the only feature they like to brag about Nothing seems any better than Seagate with Hitachi So far I understand they have two models which is why I looked up quot ST NS vs ST AS quot in google The actual difference is small being the NS having more restistance to shock because they might be 1TB warranty drive Seagate used in Seagate 1TB drive warranty trays of hard drives Can you imagine getting read errors all because four of the other HDD s are creating problems to one other on the same tray Oh and the amount of hours it is expected Seagate 1TB drive warranty to have in it s life I suppose I don t mind which model I choose out of the two as long as it is available and is the cheaper one The main question I have to ask is why from what I have noticed in NZ is there usually a year RTB warranty on this drive when Seagate offer years warranty which is a lot compared to other HDD companies I can understand if they reduce year on the drive but I am missing a pretty big years warranty If I can t get that warrenty how can I get that somewhere else nbsp

Relevancy 49.45%

I am on Windows Vista Home Basic, 32-bit, SP2. I need to start the Internet Connection Sharing service, which is dependent on the Secure Socket Tunneling Protocol service, but SSTP can't be started. When I try to manually start it, it gives me
Error 1722: The RPC server is unavailable.
The SSTP service doesn't list any dependencies, however RPC and RPC locator are active. What am I missing?

A:Cannot start Secure Socket Tunneling Protocol service: Error 1722

Hello? Is this the correct section for this question?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-start-secure-socket-tunneling-protocol-service-error-1722.1113318/
Relevancy 49.02%

sir hi actually i bought my lappi last year in the month of may 25th and since i was in last year of my collage i did not bother  to extend becouse of money issue. can i extend the warranty of the lapptop now ??pls help and if yes then what all the procedure i need to follow. ?  w/w  aayan akash. 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Software-and-How-To-Questions/can-extend-the-warranty-HP-laptop-warranty-got-expired-which/td-p/5780150
Relevancy 48.59%

I just bought a desktop Envy 750-103D from the IT fair in Mid-Valley Kuala Lumpur. I would like to install a SSD as primary drive & assign the 1TB HDD as storage. I was told by the sales representative that I might void the warranty if I do that. Can anyone confirm if what the sales person said is true?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/Will-I-void-the-warranty-if-I-installed-SSD-as-boot-drive/td-p/5725222
Relevancy 47.3%

Hi, My laptop's manufacturer warranty has expired on January 24 2016. Can I buy extend warranty for my lappy??  

A:Can I extend the warranty after its manufacture warranty has...

Hello, If unit doesn't have any issues right now, yes you can extend the warranty. if there is any issue with the laptop then after repair you can extend the warranty  #hpexpertday

Regards;SmileyI am an HP employeePlease click the White Kudos star to say thanks for helping.Please mark Accept As Solution if my help has solved your problem.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Software-and-How-To-Questions/Can-I-extend-the-warranty-after-its-manufacture-warranty-has/td-p/5628410
Relevancy 45.58%

As the title suggests - my invoice specifically says 3yrs warranty was purchased with my M3800 in November 2014. I'm now showing as out of warranty after 2yrs
I'm having issues with a screen that was replaced in May/June 2016 and would like a replacement as I believe the unit is faulty. Please can you get in touch to resolve.
Thank you.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19997367
Relevancy 45.15%

I m amateur pc user Been trying fix problems all week Changed power box due to over heating used AVG amp Superantispyware Keeps asking to reboot and choose boot device and several hints of mysterious behavior inside machine Feels like something is eating it restore&recycle hard 2nd bin&2nd problem,system hard drive vanished, drive Unknown paranoid spirituality Anyone know what s going on Please be gentle with me Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at on Platform Windows Vista SP WinNT MSIE Internet Unknown problem,system restore&recycle bin&2nd hard drive vanished, 2nd hard drive Explorer v Boot mode NormalRunning processes C Program Files x IObit Advanced SystemCare AWC exeC Program Files x ASUS AASP aaCenter exeC Program Files x SUPERAntiSpyware SUPERAntiSpyware exeC Program Files x Kontiki KHost exeC Program Files x IObit Advanced SystemCare Sup SmartRAM exeC Program Files x DT Utilities DT Utilities PC Backup Pro mgCtrl exeC Program Files x Common Files Java Java Update jusched exeC Program Files x AVG AVG avgtray exeC Program Files x Entriq MediaSphere EntriqMediaTray exeC Program Files x Entriq MediaSphere EntriqMediaServer exeC Windows Integrator exeC Program Files x Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exeR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www facebook com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search CustomizeSearch R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride localR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName R - URLSearchHook AVG Security Toolbar BHO - A BC A - F - -AA - D C - C Program Files x AVG AVG Toolbar IEToolbar dllO - Hosts localhostO - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files x Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dllO - BHO ContributeBHO Class - C DC - - A A- D-C C - C Program Files x Adobe Adobe Contribute CS contributeieplugin dllO - BHO AcroIEHelperStub - DF C-E AD- -A -FA C EBDC - C Program Files x Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelperShim dllO - BHO AskBar BHO - f d - - d - c -aa e ed - C Program Files x AskBarDis bar bin askBar dllO - BHO QFX Software KeyScrambler - B F - A - - E -C B BC E - C Program Files x KeyScrambler KeyScramblerIE dllO - BHO AVG Security Toolbar BHO - A BC A - F - -AA - D C - C Program Files x AVG AVG Toolbar IEToolbar dllO - BHO Google Toolbar Helper - AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - c program files x google googletoolbar dllO - BHO Adobe PDF Conversion Toolbar Helper - AE CD -E - f- - EE - C Program Files x Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEFavClient dllO - BHO Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - AF DE - D - -B FA-CE B AD D - C Program Files x Google GoogleToolbarNotifier swg dllO - BHO Java Plug-In SSV Helper - DBC -A - b-BC - C C C A - C Program Files x Java jre bin jp ssv dllO - BHO Google Gears Helper - E FEFE -FBF - AE-BA - CA E FB - C Program Files x Google Google Gears Internet Explorer gears dllO - BHO SmartSelect - F EE -DAA - - - D EE A - C Program Files x Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEFavClient dllO - Toolbar amp Google - C B - - d - B - A CD F - c program files x google googletoolbar dllO - Toolbar Adobe PDF - -D C - - FA - E EAAC - C Program Files x Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEFavClient dllO - Toolbar Contribute Toolbar - BDDE -E A - -B E- B B FC - C Program Files x Adobe Adobe Contribute CS contributeieplugin dllO - Toolbar Ask Toolbar - d e-fd b- e -b - d b f - C Program Files x AskBarDis bar bin askBar dllO - Toolbar AVG Security Toolbar - CCC A -B CA- -B A - F ... Read more

A:Unknown problem,system restore&recycle bin&2nd hard drive vanished, 2nd hard drive

Hello and welcome to Bleeping ComputerWe apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If not please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine. If you have not done so, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.Upon completing the steps below another staff member will review and take the steps necessary with you to get your machine back in working order clean and free of malware.If you have already posted a DDS log, please do so again, as your situation may have changed.Use the 'Add Reply' and add the new log to this thread.Thanks and again sorry for the delay.We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan:Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links. Save it to your desktop.DDS.scrDDS.pifDouble click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.A small box will open, with an explaination about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.Notepad will open with the results.Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet. Information on A/V control HEREPlease download GMER from one of the following locations and save it to your desktop:Main MirrorThis version will download a randomly named file (Recommended)Zipped MirrorThis version will download a zip file you will need to extract first. If you use this mirror, please extract the zip file to your desktop.Disconnect from the Internet and close all running programs.Temporarily disable any real-time active protection so your security programs will not conflict with gmer's driver.Double-click on the randomly named GMER file (i.e. n7gmo46c.exe) and allow the gmer.sys driver to load if asked.Note: If you downloaded the zipped version, extract the file to its own folder such as C:\gmer and then double-click on gmer.exe.GMER will open to the Rootkit/Malware tab and perform an automatic quick scan when first run. (do not use the computer while the scan is in progress)If you receive a WARNING!!! about rootkit activity and are asked to fully scan your system...click NO.Now click the Scan button. If you see a rootkit warning window, click OK.When the scan is finished, click the Save... button to save the scan results to your Desktop. Save the file as gmer.log.Click the Copy button and paste the results into your next reply.Exit GMER and re-enable all active protection when done.-- If you encounter any problems, try running GMER in Safe Mode.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/313758/unknown-problemsystem-restorerecycle-bin2nd-hard-drive-vanished-2nd-hard-drive/
Relevancy 45.15%

Hi all,

I am preparing a laptop for sale, and have carried out a fresh install of Windows (booting from recovery CD). During this process, I selected 'Custom installation', followed by the hard disk partition containing my personal data and 'Drive options (advanced)', followed by 'Delete'. Is this a secure method of erasure or should I take additional precautionary steps before selling?

Thanks for reading.

A:Is deleting a hard disk partition on Windows 7 installation secure?

To tell you the truth, it really depends. How paranoid are you? Deleting the partition should be fine as long as you did a Clean Install of Windows and then deleted Windows.old.
Windows.old Folder - Delete

But if you're really paranoid, you might want to also Quick Format...
Format a HDD or USB

...as well as using DBAN (Darik's Boot And Nuke). You simply load this tool onto a CD, DVD or USB and it securely erases all data from any discoverable hard drive until every single bit of data is permanently removed by overwriting all data on the disk with random numbers.
Darik's Boot And Nuke | Hard Drive Disk Wipe and Data Clearing

But unless you have very important and private data on that particular hard drive, I suggest doing a simple Clean Install and at the most, a Quick Format.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/186014-deleting-hard-disk-partition-windows-7-installation-secure.html
Relevancy 44.72%

I see it can be done from an installed to an external, but can it be done in reverse, taking the external cased hard drive and cloning it to an internal? The old hard drive is from an xp laptop, and I can aquire another xp laptop if I can clone this way. Perhaps if I set the enclosure hard drive as master? All ideas are greatly appreciated. Many thanks

A:Clone a laptop hard drive from an external case to an internal hard drive

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/clone-a-laptop-hard-drive-from-an-external-case-to-an-internal-hard-drive.1037757/
Relevancy 44.72%

Hey a Hard Drive Drive External an please! 80gb Enclosure, Zune help in Hard Putting guys My Zune gb stopped working a while back It wouldn t charge So I thought I would take Putting a Zune 80gb Hard Drive in an External Hard Drive Enclosure, help please! out the hard drive and use it as an external gb hard drive So I bought an quot ZIF encolsure for it and installed the hard drive into it All appears good with the installation When I plug the hard drive into the PC the light on the hard drive enclosure comes on and stays on amp the disk starts spinning Then Windows Vista does the whole quot Install new Hardware quot thing and calls it a quot Disk Drive quot and a quot USB Mass Storage Device quot and says hardware is installed and ready for use But the problem is I can t seem to access the drive I can t find it anywhere It doesn t show up as a drive I can use or anything I tried a third party partitioning prgram to try and find the disk so I could reformat it but it wouldn t it couldn t find it either I even plugged the drive into my Mac thinking that Disk Utility might be able to recognize it and let me wipe it but the Mac doesn t recognize it as anything Back in Vista Using Device Manager Vista notices the drive under the quot Disk Drives quot option as a quot Disk Drive quot and that it is elecronically signed by Microsoft since it has the Zune firmware on it but I can t do anything with it And this is the only place where I can see that the drive even exists I can t reformat it or anything Can anyone help me I thought I read somewhere that the problem is the zune firmware Is there anyway I can wipe it Please help I have spent hours searching online and can t seem to get anywhere If I have posted this is in the wrong forum I am sorry Thank you Timothy nbsp

A:Putting a Zune 80gb Hard Drive in an External Hard Drive Enclosure, help please!

anyone?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/putting-a-zune-80gb-hard-drive-in-an-external-hard-drive-enclosure-help-please.1009940/
Relevancy 44.72%

I had a thread someone drive-question xp hard Solved: drive if win98 windows time?? hard has with earlier and forgot to ask a couple Solved: windows xp hard drive with win98 hard drive-question if someone has time?? of questions I was told I could take a hard drive from a windows computer and the person is buying a new Windows xp so I can hook up the win hard drive as a slave to the new computer with win xp so I can drop and drag or cut and past files that they want off the hard drive put on their new computer Now If their new computer with the win xp on it if there is an ide cable going to the hard drive and nothing else then I can hook up the win hard drive to the same ide cable as a slave and no problem However if the windows xp computer has the hard drive on the ide cable and also the cd-rom then is it ok just to hook up another ide cable to their mother board and hook the hard drive from the windows computer on the end of that ide cable as the master and by turning the computer off and then hooking up the hard drive and then turning the computer back on it should reconize the windows hard drive in my computer right away right If I would have to put the windows hard drive in the new computer on a seperate ide cable is it ok to have it as master cause the hard drive that is already in it would be master to but it would be on a different ide cable I am hoping the new computer just has the hard drive on an ide cable by itself so I can just hook the other one up as a slave and get the files and be done with it How ever if someone could give me a couple or three scenario s with ide cables and hooking this up I would be very much appreciatetive It would be a new computer with windows xp home or pro and wanting to hook up a hard drive from an old computer with windows to get the files off from it Thanks nbsp

A:Solved: windows xp hard drive with win98 hard drive-question if someone has time??

Yes - you understand it correctly

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-xp-hard-drive-with-win98-hard-drive-question-if-someone-has-time.388045/
Relevancy 44.72%

Windows XP Professional Service Pack build gigahertz Intel Pentium Dual kilobyte primary memory cache kilobyte secondary memory cache WDC WD BB- FTA Hard drive GB -- drive s n WD-WMAET rev and Multiple drive clicking, hard drive freezing errors, hard boot R SMART Status Healthy Hard drive Just a few weeks ago my hard drive started clicking and suddenly my system froze The drive wasn't dropped bumped or anything like that It was fairly new as well I was having some issues accessing my files AND I couldn't access the internet through any browsers Multiple hard drive boot errors, hard drive clicking, and freezing I was connected could play internet-using games but got no reply from websites I decided to reformat Well that didn't go so well Reformatting did not fix the freezing issue nor did it fix the internet issue I attempted to reformat the partition on C but it Multiple hard drive boot errors, hard drive clicking, and freezing simply wouldn't let me Hard drive I pulled out a newish hard drive and formatted it installed my applications and continued on my way Everything was working great until a day later when the hard drive AGAIN froze in the middle of a session and this time I couldn't even boot I was getting a boot error that mentioned not receiving a boot file name I went into the windows repair console and did a chkdsk which turned up Multiple hard drive boot errors, hard drive clicking, and freezing a few errors and attempted to recover them I assume I could now boot but random freezing would still take place now and then and EVERY DAY I have to access the repair console due to boot errors Almost every other attempt to boot results in freezing before startup not being able to access the boot file or a blue screen of death So I Hard drive Same things happening I must have reformatted at least times by now and I'm beginning to give strange looks at my motherboard The computer seems to DECIDE when to work and not work When it doesn't boot the hard drive makes a constant clicking noise This next part will sound bad after getting boot errors all day I walked down stairs to find some new hardware When I got back up my cat had knocked the hard drive which was disconnected and outside of the computer onto the wooden floor It's a foot drop so I was getting worried I plugged it in and tried to star what do you know Here I am Now I'm certain it's only a matter of time before it freezes again The thing is freezing usually occurs when I'm running one or more programs at a time The computer is going incredibly slow at the moment Is it a certain program that is messing up my registry or would it be a problem with my motherboard dontknow

A:Multiple hard drive boot errors, hard drive clicking, and freezing

Try installing another operating system onto the disk and seeing if that crashes as well. If it doesn't you probably have a bad Windows cd. I suggest trying Kubuntu, a version of Linux meant to look somewhat like Windows (You can click here to skip directly to the download page). Just remember to actually install the thing. Most Linux operating systems can be ran directly from the cd without any need to be installed onto a hard disk. There's usually a program on the desktop that will install the system for you. If it runs properly for a week or two, get a new Windows disk. If it crashes just as much as Windows did, get a new computer.

Also, how much RAM does your computer have? If it's very low (256-512 megs or less) it can sometimes cause these kinds of crashes too.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/multiple-hard-drive-boot-errors-hard-drive-clicking-and-freezing-374232.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Hey guys, I was working with my grandfathers computer. The computer would not boot, it kept getting the BSOD with "Unmountable Boot Volume" At the top. Annoyed, I decided I was going to just back up whatever files were on it (Just his favorites, he has absolutely no documents or anything else)..by plugging his HD into my home PC as a slave and copying them to my flashdrive. Then I would reinstall XP Home on his Desktop, and use the flashdrive to put back his files...Sounds easy enough right? NO!!!!.....Problem is, his user account on the computer (Ralph), was Password Protected so now when I try to access any of his files (using Windows 7) I get a message saying Access Is Denied. How do I get around this. It is not possible to boot his old computer to take off the password. Are his files recoverable?
Thanks for any help!

A:Recovering hard drive files from unbootable, password protected hard drive?

You don't have to do all that to overcome an unmountable boot volume error...try running chkdsk /r command on the drive.

Start/Run...type chkdsk X: /r (where X is the drive letter assigned by XP and with spaces between k and X: and X: and /) and then hit Enter.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/251609/recovering-hard-drive-files-from-unbootable-password-protected-hard-drive/
Relevancy 44.72%

Hi I REALLY hope someone out there can help me Hard as Hard Partition 1T appears Problems! Drive/ Solved: My 8Gigs?! Drive with this I have a failed hard drive stuffed partion and i DESPERATELY need the data from it A computer was brought into me with two hard drives The owner asked me to set up a duel boot with vista and XP on the first hard drive and to leave the second hard drive alone its his backup drive with all his Solved: Hard Drive/ Partition Problems! My 1T Hard Drive appears as 8Gigs?! photos movies etc I was working away as per usual when i noticed the second hard drive was no longer coming up in Windows Explorer Well it was but not correctly whenever i clicked on it it said would you liket to format the drive obviously i didnt want to do that I ran Partition Solved: Hard Drive/ Partition Problems! My 1T Hard Drive appears as 8Gigs?! Magic which showed the drive was only Gigs it should have been T or Gigs Partition Magic also said there was a problem with the drive and offered to fix it I agreed however there was no change I ve run a number of programs to try and fix the drive Acronis Disk Director Server Partition Table Doctor Demo Dtidata Partition Repair Tool MHDD Recover My Files v FileScavenger However all the partition repairers claim that the drive is only Gigs and they can go no further All the File Recovery Programs will only scan for Gigs and thus i can not recover my clients precious photos and videos The BIOS comes up as recognizing the drive as Gigs I really REALLY need the Solved: Hard Drive/ Partition Problems! My 1T Hard Drive appears as 8Gigs?! data from this drive Does anyone know how to fix my problem Thanx heaps in advance Ben nbsp

A:Solved: Hard Drive/ Partition Problems! My 1T Hard Drive appears as 8Gigs?!

I've used ZAR to recover files from a RAID box that seemed to have been corrupted due to a bad power supply.

You might check it out. It's free. Meaning it will only allow you to recover so many files at a time. I bought it, and like it.

They have a forum that is monitored quite often, from the developer too.

Good luck.

http://www.z-a-recovery.com/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-hard-drive-partition-problems-my-1t-hard-drive-appears-as-8gigs.858100/
Relevancy 44.72%

Hello,
I am trying to move all my files from my computer to my new external hard drive, but whenever I try and move a file over 4 GB in size i get this error message...
"The file is too large for the destination file system"... anyone know how I can get around this so I can move those files over?

A:Problem transfering large file from hard drive to external hard drive

Get ahold of some software that will break up the file into chunks.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-transfering-large-file-from-hard-drive-to-external-hard-drive.105596/
Relevancy 44.72%

I have a customer s Satellite L D S laptop This was shipped to me by the customer who tried to install Windows XP Pro Vista and none would install He said he tried all installation CDs he had and finally gave up on it and shipped it to me When I got it the partition were deleted so I tried to install Win and when I do doing a custom install I format win can't clean drive find drive hard 7 can't install Solved: or on hard get an error saying the hard drive can t be formatted on disk Solved: win 7 can't find hard drive or can't format hard drive on clean install or it will give an error that no hard drives were found I reset the bios to default and no matter what I do it won t format or find the harddrive I was going to upgrade the bios but the only way I found to upgrade the Solved: win 7 can't find hard drive or can't format hard drive on clean install bios is after windows is installed There is no way to make changes to the bios for settings that would have to do with the hard drive This has a Toshiba MK GSX S hard drive When installing Win I get the normal windows quot windows is starting quot quot Select Language quot quot Select System quot quot Type of install quot quot Custom Install quot quot Delete partitions quot quot New Partitions quot quot Format quot then the error message quot Windows cannot format a partition on disk Error x quot This happens regardless what system I try to install I ve tried two different versions of XP one of Vista and Win and each time a different install CD System Specs AMD Turion TM x Mobile CPU CPU Speed GHz Toshiba MK GSX S hard drive Pioneer DVD-RW DurkD l PM Optical Disk Drive Memory System Bios Version Anyone got any ideas on this laptop so I can get a system installed I checked the bios and there is no settings for a sata drive raid drive or IDE drive so it looks like this version can t be changed Thanks for anyone who can help Rick nbsp

A:Solved: win 7 can't find hard drive or can't format hard drive on clean install

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-win-7-cant-find-hard-drive-or-cant-format-hard-drive-on-clean-install.917413/
Relevancy 44.72%

Hi I am in the process of doing a clean re-install of Windows XP for Home on my PC I have hard drives c gb Maxtor SATA drive - bootable with Windows seeing Hard - Problems, drive new not Bootup Drive hard Help Windows required Options XP existing Windows install d gb Maxtor IDE drive Hard Drive Bootup Problems, Help required - Windows not seeing new hard drive Options - non bootable data drive g gb Maxtor IDE drive - bootable with the clean install of Windows XP for home on it Windows is not seeing all the sizes quite right yet but I will tackle that when I have solved Hard Drive Bootup Problems, Help required - Windows not seeing new hard drive Options this major problem that follows If I boot from the C drive - I have no problems at all Windows will see all the different drives as it should do I can access them all and they all work fine When I come to boot the clean install on drive G windows changes the drive letters - G becomes C D remains as D but the gb Maxtor SATA drive isn t Hard Drive Bootup Problems, Help required - Windows not seeing new hard drive Options seen at all and might as well not exist Disk Management within Windows is no help as it can t see the drive Maxtor software MaxBlast is also no help as it can t see the drive on this install either I have checked and rechecked the BIOS but have pretty much discounted any issues here as it clearly shows all drives and all drives are listed on boot up It s just when Windows kicks in that I have the problem I guess it s a simple setting somewhere but I am pulling out what little hair I have left trying to think what it is - so any ideas would be very gratefully received Thanks in advance and kind regards Stuart nbsp

A:Hard Drive Bootup Problems, Help required - Windows not seeing new hard drive Options

Hi
This is what I would do to enhance performance and storage strategy:

1. Use the 20g for the os and housekeeping utes such as av, spyware, etc only, nothing else goes on that drive.
2. Use the 160g for apps installs.
3. Use the 200g for data.

This might get you past the bios/firmware/os/drive letter issue and make better use of the drives. The 20 isn't really good for storage anymore, but would be great for an os/system ute drive. It's performance is less than the other drives, but that's ok, most of the os will stay in ram anyway after boot, you won't make any real diff having a faster os drive.
You might want to place a pagefile on each drive so pageing can occur concurrently too.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-bootup-problems-help-required-windows-not-seeing-new-hard-drive-options.34935/
Relevancy 44.72%

I have two laptops, a ThinkPad T30 and a Latitude C840 (they are both working with XP SP2, except the T30 doesn't have a screen). I'd like to move the T30's drive into the C840, but when I do this, the C840 will hang right after the BIOS screen (incl. the XP CD's Press a key to boot off the CD if I tell it to boot from the disc drive first).

My first thought was to try Recovery Console from the XP CD. I can log into the install, and I've already tried fixmbring and fixbooting it. This doesn't help.

This leaves the option of the drivers not being right. I installed the C840 chipset drivers, nothing.

I'd really rather not go on a wild goose chase trying to figure out what'll get things up and running, so can you guys gimme a suggestion?

Thanks!
Ethan

A:Moved hard drive and cannot boot; hard drive accessable from Recovery Console

You can't simple move one drive from one machine to another because the drivers are specific to the hardware. Did you receive recovery CDs for the Latitude? If so, you could use them to "restore" it to its factory default with the new drive. This may actually be on a partition of the hard drive.
As an alternative, you could create an image of the original drive and restore it to the new one using some freeware such as DriveImage XML. To restore the image to the new drive, you'll need to boot to a bootable CD using something like UBCD4WIN and restore the image from somewhere on your network.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/moved-hard-drive-and-cannot-boot-hard-drive-accessable-from-recovery-console.528901/
Relevancy 44.29%

Just going to throw this out and I have researched this somewhat We have company pc s and we re allowed to be on the internet We know that big brother can and does watch what we re doing I want a flash drive that I can plug in utilizing the company pc but only using the resources of the secure thumb on-the-go for drive internet secure thumb drive for on-the-go and be invisible leaving not a trace of what I m doing So I want to be able to browse surf yes portable firefox and most importantly I want to be able to download exe games or other programs and have my thumbdrive handle it I was told I would need an emulator or something and also most games require direct X As it is now if I quot DARE quot download a game on company PC which I do not it wants to install on PC There is no option of downloading in to my older G thumbdrive I need some direction as what is it that I need to get and do Thank you very much nbsp

Relevancy 44.29%

So after reading a ton about SSD drives and finally getting one Intel X -M G I played around with it for a drive an SSD Secure Erase Cannot while today and figured that I would just do a secure erase to get it back to factory defaults before really getting it setup on my machine Cannot Secure Erase an SSD drive Turns out the Secure Cannot Secure Erase an SSD drive Erase app or won't work as the BIOS of my machine sends a quot freeze lock quot command thus these tools cannot touch the drive I've tried the Linux bootable CD with hdparm tool as well and it to shows that the device is locked thus it cannot proceed I've tried the Secure Erase tool from Cannot Secure Erase an SSD drive several machines and all result in same thing Secure Erase gets to welcome screen where it would display the attached hard drives and that is as far as it goes So anybody got any suggestions According to people who make Secure Erase a least desirable workaround is to boot the machine with no power attached to the drive and then connect power while the machine is running Well obviously with a brand new hard drive I don't want to do that

A:Cannot Secure Erase an SSD drive

Nevermind. I found a computer at my house where this functionality works as it should. I was able to successfully secure erase my drive on my Intel X25-M G2 drive.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/25403-cannot-secure-erase-ssd-drive.html
Relevancy 44.29%

Hello guyz,
pliz help me with the steps involved in upgrading or replacing an MFM hard drive with IDE-class hard drive

A:STEPS TO UPGRADE/REPLACE an MFM hard drive with an IDE-class hard drive

Hi kfkaggwa, and welcome to TSG.

Any chance the motherboard has and IDE controller built in? If not, what kind of expansion card options does it have?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/steps-to-upgrade-replace-an-mfm-hard-drive-with-an-ide-class-hard-drive.606240/
Relevancy 44.29%

I need an external hard drive for taking regular backups of all of my data.
When i searched the internet I got two options:
1. Porable HDD [high cost, slower speed but don't need external power]
2. Desktop HDD [low cost, higher speed but need external power]

I want to know that...
1. Which hard disk's live longer? Porable or Desktop.
2. I heared that pulling off USB cable of Portable HDD may cause data lose because it also supplies power to hdd.
What will happpen if Power goes off from Desktop HDD? Will my data/Hard disk remain protected?
3. Level of safety of data on moving or shaking on both Desktop and Portable HDD.
4. Can we install os and boot from portable and desktop external hdd?

A:Need Advice : External Desktop Hard drive vs Portable Hard drive?

Unless you really need to go portable with a Laptop .. I'd not use a USB powered External.
You cannot boot from a USB External .. But there's another option if you're capable of physically changing HDDs ..

Get a good external Enclosure (with a fan for cooling) .. Install a good HDD ... with a 5 year warranty
and make the HDD in the enclosure a bootable backup .. where you could swap HDDs if/when needed ..

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-advice-external-desktop-hard-drive-vs-portable-hard-drive.988810/
Relevancy 44.29%

hi .
i have a Compaq nx 7400 .
i was hahving a lot of problems with the computer so i decided to put a new hard drive in and reinstall XP .
well i have the new hard drive in and started up the machine and changed the bott options to run from the dvd and all went fine until i should press the ENTER ( return ) button to install XP now . as soon as i did that the next window said no hard drive found . this was also happening on the old hard drive that was in the machine .

im stuck and i dont know what else to try . anyone had this problem before .?

Thanks for any help .
very strange .
Timo

A:Solved: new hard drive xp , new install, doesnt find hard drive

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-new-hard-drive-xp-new-install-doesnt-find-hard-drive.726533/
Relevancy 44.29%

hi all,
i hope someone can help me out, i am a newbie to all this so bare with me.
my hard drive failed over a month ago but i managed to do a system image with win7 to my new 2tb internal hard drive. i cannot get the image recovery to work as i says "no image can be found on hard disk". i am at a loss from there. I have tried and cried over this as its driving me mad as i have no pc.

Leroy

A:hard drive failed, system image not found on hard drive

just to add really that the system image is on my new hard drive (2tb internal). i use the boot dvd and i get a far as "repair my computer" click on it, sometimes i get message saying not compatable with this version of windows other times it lets me on to next bit, then says no image can be found on hard drive. if i go through the load drivers i can see my hard drive with items on it. ie windowsbackup and others. again i am at a loss with this, any help would be greatful.

Leroy

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/314470-hard-drive-failed-system-image-not-found-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 44.29%

I recently formatted my c drive and now i am reinstalling all the software. I keep all the setups of software in my external hard drive. For installing the software I coy the setup folder of the required software on my laptop, then install it.

Is straightaway installing the software by accessing the external hard drive okay? Does it make any difference in the installation time or any reduction in life of hard disk performance.

Or should I always install through my laptop hard drive?

I am running windows 8.1 pro

A:installation software from external hard drive or internal hard drive

Your method is as good as any. If it works, keep doing it.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/installation-software-from-external-hard-drive-or-internal-hard-drive-1056962.html
Relevancy 44.29%

Hello I just got a new Dell Dimension E with Vista as the operating system Vista Stinks For most programs including video and audio from XP Service Pack Vista doesn t recognize drivers that were fine with XP Service Pack Even Sonic and Roxio which are installed hard with Drive Can with XP? replaced Solved: Hard be Dell drive Vista on the damn thing give these same problems My internet connection is also no better at all and was outright disabled with a message quot something has caused Microsoft Internet to stop working quot Solved: Can Dell hard drive with Vista be replaced with Hard Drive XP? after I tried to install basic version of Zone Alarm Then on Solved: Can Dell hard drive with Vista be replaced with Hard Drive XP? reboot it says quot unauthorized change made to your license you must verify your software online quot This message come up before the desktop appears and this screen is frozen whether you choose the quot verify quot or quot cancel quot option Couldn t shut down by any means either including Control Alt Delete it wouldn t bring up that window Had to literally pull the plug and reboot into Safe Mode where I uninstalled Zone Alarm and a couple of other functions that worked perfectly in XP Then I was able to re-boot normally the message did not come up again I hate Vista Not interested in any quot fixes quot not worth the trouble The only fix for Vista is a sledgehammer to the drive My hope is this can I get the hard drive removed and replace it with a clean hard drive that has XP sp on it or am I stuck with this P O S Operating System The computer in question is a brand new Dell Dimension E GHz processor AMD Dual Core gb RAM Combined CD DVD drive gb hard drive Thanks for any help Rick nbsp

A:Solved: Can Dell hard drive with Vista be replaced with Hard Drive XP?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-can-dell-hard-drive-with-vista-be-replaced-with-hard-drive-xp.563372/
Relevancy 44.29%

Had this laptop for about 6 years, had a few issues in the past, but nothing major like this. After, I ran a system dianostic, the result shown that the Hard drive short DST failed. Not totally sure how to do a recovery, I do have the Recovery Discs, so I searched up how to run the discs; turned on the system- press f11-  window loading files- window starting- then it just stuck on a window blue screen with nothing but the cursor. Can I even use the Recovery Discs? I want to replace the old HDD with a new SSD, but I'm not sure if I have to install a new OS or can I recover the old hard drive OS and transfer to the SSD?

A:Hard Drive failure (Hard Drive Short DST Check: Failed)

DST:Fail means  the hard drive has failed and will need to be replaced. If you are still in warranty HP will send a replacement. If not a retail laptop SATA hard drive can be used. Just be sure to get one of at least equal capacity as the original in order to use Recovery Discs. It can be larger, but not smaller capacity.For instance if you have a 500GB hdd you could use a 750GB hdd but not a 320GB hdd.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Hard-Drive-failure-Hard-Drive-Short-DST-Check-Failed/td-p/5789622
Relevancy 44.29%

I did this on a Compaq Presario c500 and now i have no audio coming over my laptop. HELP!

A:Windows Vista Hard Drive replaced with XP Hard Drive. No audio.

You need to install the proper drivers for your hardware. All of the drivers you need are right here.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-vista-hard-drive-replaced-with-xp-hard-drive-no-audio.681812/
Relevancy 44.29%

I just installed a brand new Western Digital Hard Drive 160 gig. I partitioned it with FDISK, then formated, then did a clean install of windows XP. Everything was fine until after i finished the installation, and i tried to connect my old maxtor 20 gig so i could transfer some files over, and the computer stopped reading both hard drives. When i start it up, the computer can't boot from either drive. I've tried disconnecting each of the drives and only booting with one connected, with no luck. I also tried changing the gray strip, I can't remember what its official name is, but that didnt help either. When I go into BIOS and let it auto detect my drives, It wont recognize either of the drives.

A:New hard drive installed sucessfully, now my computer cant find any hard drive

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/new-hard-drive-installed-sucessfully-now-my-computer-cant-find-any-hard-drive.290955/
Relevancy 44.29%

I am having a serious problem with my pc.Windows disk is showing me these following errorsBoot sector of the hard drive disk is damagedBad sectors on hard drive or damaged file allocation tableRead time of hard drive clusters less the 500 msHard drive doesnt respond to system commands40% of hdd space is unreadableWhat does this mean and can I fix itI cannot access my documents folder or other programs Any Help would be greatI tried the defrag thing but it didnt workEdit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum, at the recommendation of forum staff. ~ Animal

A:Critical Error Hard Drive not found. Missing hard Drive

When you say "Windows disk". Can you give a little better description of just what\where the warning message is coming from?

You "tried the defrag thing but it did`t work".

Where did you go to access the defrag? What does "it did`t work" mean?

The reason I am asking these questions is not to give you a hard time. There is a virus going around that is very similar in it`s behavior.

I am just trying to find out exactly what it is we are dealing with.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/380473/critical-error-hard-drive-not-found-missing-hard-drive/
Relevancy 44.29%

I have a dell dimension 8200 windows xp home edition sp3. One of my hard drives has the fbi virus. I cant boot from a usb on it but the computer can have two hard drives plugged in at once. Could i plug the dirty hard drive in and scan and remove the virus from the clean one?.

A:Scanning dirty hard drive from clean hard drive in same computer

Hello, and Welcome

Detach the drive without the FBI virus. On another computer download Kaspersky Rescue Disk. Burn the iso to a CD. On a Windows 7 computer simply right click the iso and select Burn Disk Image. Connect the computer with the FBI virus via a Ethernet cable so Kaspersky can update it's definitions. Boot the disk and then open the terminal and type windowsunlocker (all lower case) shown in this guide. Then run the antivirus on the Kaspersky disk

http://media.kaspersky.com/downloads/consumer/kasp10.0_rescuedisk_en.pdf

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/591973/scanning-dirty-hard-drive-from-clean-hard-drive-in-same-computer/
Relevancy 44.29%

my hard drive crash and i just bought a new hard drive. but i dont have a windows cd only product key on my desktop case.how can I install windows on my new hard drive?

A:hard drive crash... install windows on new hard drive withou...

Galilee Hello;Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!I read your post about wanting to restore your PC and wanted to help -- but need more information. Your PC did not come with Win10 preinstalled, so if you were to order HP Recovery Media and use that, it would restore the original operating system, drivers, and HP utilities.  I presume this is NOT what you want, right? So, while you can make Win10 media to recover your PC, it would be a clean-install and nothing would be preserved. You can make such media using this tool: Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool - Windows Help Note that when you go do download and build install media, the tool defaults to matching what is already installed on your PC (as in, Home for Home, 64-bit for 64-bit).  While you CAN change these settings, do NOT. If you do, the resulting media will be different and will force you to enter a NEW product code! Good Luck 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/hard-drive-crash-install-windows-on-new-hard-drive-without/td-p/5686961
Relevancy 43.86%

Am trying to help my sister get her home network straightened out. She has a Belkin N+ wireless router which has a USB input. She's bought a Seagate external drive which she plans to plug directly into the router so it can be accessed from all the laptops in the house. Will this hard drive be secure?? We're not worried about someone getting in via the wireless network as she lives in a remote location. But, aside from the router firewall, what's to prevent an attack from the internet? Is the router F/W strong enough?

Thanks for your help.

Relevancy 43.86%

I'm looking for recommendation to secure/encrypt/password protect a 4 GB Corsair flash drive. Something similar in functionality to the Kingston DataTraveler Secure Privacy Edition.

TIA

Relevancy 43.86%

I need to return a desktop computer. I just turned on bit locker and plan on also erasing the drive as well (after bitlocker is complete). It is an SSD.

Out of curiosity, once bitlocker is on, can anyone access the data if they do not know my log in information or recovery key?

thanks,

Mike

A:Bitlocker to Secure Drive I have to return

In theory anyone sufficiently motivated could brute force crack the encryption, but it would likely take an extremely long time to the point of not being practical in the likely cost:benefit analysis. All encryption, assuming it can be decrypted, is subject to brute force cracking. There is also a well known, and intentional, back door built into Windows. It's usually not that big of a deal because it requires physical access to the computer, but it basically allows you to wipe out the password on an account in the event you forget it. I have absolutely no idea how that might interact with Bitlocker though.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/55740-bitlocker-secure-drive-i-have-return.html
Relevancy 43.86%

My desktop, running Windows 98SE, no longer recognises my Jump Drive Secure USB drive. My laptop and other desk top, both with XP Home have no problem recognising it. I know that JDSecure doesn't support 98 and I had downloaded their instructions a couple of years ago to get it going. It never accessed the secure portion, only the public portion, which was fine. Have I lost a driver or some such thing?

D

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/jump-drive-secure-not-recognised.679106/
Relevancy 43.86%

Issue When I plug my Jump Drive Secure into my laptop Win SE and try to run the secure software it says that it cannot find MFC U dll file I re-installed the drivers for the drive and downloaded the dll from one of those dll sites stuck it in the Secure Jump Lexar Drive right folder and the program finds it but it says it can t run in Win or because it uses Unicode features only supported in NT I guess is not NT based Anyone know how I can get it working again Issue Not really related to When Lexar Jump Drive Secure I plug the same drive into my desktop Win XP Pro I get the little quot Remove Hardware quot icon in the tray but that s all I can t do anything with the icon and the drive does not appear in My Computer Everest can see the drive however Recently I need to try it again though the computer would just freeze when I plug it in and I d have to hard re-start I need to try it again because I was messing with the BIOS too I got that sorted out I really need the drive to work on the desktop because I use it a lot for school Anyone know how I can get it working here EDIT I tried it again and the only difference is it didn t freeze the computer just Media Player when I had it look for devices to sync to I took the drive out and the icon is still in the tray I think it ll crash-ish when I go to shut it down EDIT It also can t open Media Player anymore probably until I re-start which I ll do now Media player appears in the running processes list but I can t end it Lexar Jump Drive Secure EDIT After Lexar Jump Drive Secure the re-boot everything works fine again It froze while I was doing something in Trilian so I had to use the reset button EDIT I did a full system repair on both computers and the problem is the same

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/38546/lexar-jump-drive-secure/
Relevancy 43.86%

Hi there sometimes you want to REALLY erase a HDD -- this FREE method will write X' ' (FREE) drive of a erase SECURE HDD - Hex zeros - on every writeable are on your disk -- destroying removing previous data -- while this isn't of military strength or quot CIA quot proof it's certainly good enough for normal home purposes A normal delete doesn't actually delete DATA SECURE erase of a HDD drive (FREE) until that space is reclaimed and overwritten it merely deletes SECURE erase of a HDD drive (FREE) the file entry from the directory so unscrupulous people could access some of your data If a Disk has been contaminated with a Virus this is also a good way to ensure it's GONE too I always do this procedure if I'm giving away an old computer of I acquire some used HDD's you never know what might be on them I also do this if I'm installing re-installing Windows from scratch -so I'm sure that the Windows disk is clean -- nothing lurking in the MBP partition table areas of the disk You need access to a Linux system either as a Host or even as a VM - works fine -- or even simply boot up one of the LIVE distros available anywhere so you don't even need to install anything and boot from a USB now simply use this simple command dd if dev zero of dev sda bs k conv notrunc if is the INPUT file I- in this case simply a Null hex of is your output disk in this case dev sda you can use the command df which will list your disks or even FDISK -l similar to the Windows command To check just type dd if dev sda hexdump -C grep Most windows users could easily handle this I'm sure -- pity Windows doesn't AFAIK have this type of command in it to erase completely a Disk Merely doing quot CLEAN create partition primary and reformatting it won't erase a disk completely - some of these data recovery systems can even recover data from a newly formatted partition If this type of approach scares you - then you could look for some Windows freebie rd party software -- but I'm beginning to get a bit paranoid about some rd party software that's making the rounds these days especially with things like HDD utilities --often it's not the utility itself but the download sites - which confuse people as to where the download is have toolbars other helpers adware trialware etc I regard myself as a fairly experienced use and I regularly find some sites really hard to get the proper download from --nearly loaded wrong software more than once - so using an OS IMO is the safest way BTW you can also CLONE a complete disk with this too -- although it takes a while as it's a byte to byte copy -- and if target disk is larger than source disk you'll have to re-size partition with a partition manager such as GPARTED usually standard in the Linux Live systems -dd if dev sda of dev sdb bs k conv notrunc noerror Actually that's all Clonezilla is anyway - just a GUI wrapped around the DD command While there are some useful commands in the windows command shell it seems that it's getting ever harder to find and use them -- it would be nice if things like the Power shell had some sort of decent documentation -- or even brief documentation like the Linux Man command Perhaps in the general dumbing down of the system these days Ms doesn't want people to know that there IS even a command line any more Cheers jimbo

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/45543-secure-erase-hdd-drive-free.html