Windows Support Forum

Is upgrading the processor really worth it?

Q: Is upgrading the processor really worth it?

So i bought a Toshiba Satellite A105-S1712 about a month ago off craigslist for the incredible price of 95$. The person sold it because it had a virus, I easily formatted the comp, to XP. Over the month, I replaced Keyboard and Battery. I also added 512MB of ram.

Question.
I checked the socket and found that this processor,
" Intel Pentium IV/4/P4 CPU 2.4GHz, SL6RZ PPGA478 Intel32 '533 MHz
Fits onto my laptop. Right now the processor is an Intel Celeron 1.6Ghz '400MHz, Now I am wondering, If I go through the trouble of replacing this part, Will I notice a difference in computer speed, and game speed. I am hoping to resell this laptop some time, and could possible sell for a lot more money than I paid for it.

The processor is only 12$.

Thanks for answering, also other upgrade alternatives will be appreciated.

'Links will take to the Specifications page.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Is upgrading the processor really worth it?

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Is upgrading the processor really worth it?

Personally there's no way I would have bought that for 95$ with the intent of ever reselling it. There are atoms cpu's that are just as fast as that p4 and they're on netbooks, more portable, newer too. Don't plan on any blazing speed increases even with the upgrade, to keep it simple.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-upgrading-the-processor-really-worth-it.151636/
Relevancy 58.91%

I'm about to build a new system from scratch, and am curious if I should wait. The Athlon 64 65nm processors will be coming out this year and should I wait for one of those. I was going to use a Athlon 64 4000 San Diego. What is the vote?

A:Is it worth the processor wait?

I'd say wait for the new one, unless of course you have to have the PC right now.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-it-worth-the-processor-wait.41513/
Relevancy 58.91%

i have an Celeron FV524RX433 128SL3BA i know it is out of date by todays standards. However im thinking about putting together a pc out of scraps (because i'm bored and unemployeed)and i have a lot of different combinations i can use and i would like to make as good of set up as i can.Putting the right combinatuion of scraps can be quite confusing at times

A:Is this Processor worth using on a build ?

i would say... nope... if it was a processor that was say around 1.0Ghz + then yea may be worth putting a few scraps together, but something that slow probably isnt worth it, still if is the only processor you have... yea i guess it would be a project... but not worth actually computing on these days

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/is-this-processor-worth-using-on-a-build.720683/
Relevancy 58.05%

Hi all, I'm thinking of buying the following components for a new system. I want it for gaming, and just thought I'd get some opinions on whether it is worth the dosh; or if there are better components available for similar money.

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000 3.1GHz Socket AM2 1MB L2 (2x512KB) Cache Retail Boxed Processor - £68

Motherboard ASUS M2N68 nForce 630a Socket AM2+ - £50

Cheers

A:Processor + Motherboard: Worth buying?

well hat depends on what your other components are and what games you'll be playing, but besides these things, the combo looks good.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/processor-motherboard-worth-buying.121105/
Relevancy 58.05%

I'm still fairly satisfied with my current system It does what I need it to and runs all the games that I want to run at p and to $100? enough this upgrade gain Will processor the me worth be at relatively high quality levels and a pretty decent frame rate However Will this processor upgrade gain me enough to be worth the $100? I'm considering replacing my GTX SLI setup with a newer single graphics card more than likely a GTX or GTX and replacing the processor I just purchased but haven't installed another GB of RAM taking me up to GB I currently have a Core i - processor and am considering replacing it with a Core I - I'm curious if anyone could give me an idea what sort of boost increase I may see I guess I'm referring to mostly gaming as I doubt I'll see much speed increase when entering data or running reports in Family Tree Maker or surfing CNN or any other general tasks I do a little CD ripping for my ipod and some ripping of my DVDs and Blu-Rays for use on my tablet and I know those can be fairly CPU intensive So does anyone have any idea how the Core i - Lynnfield and the I - Lynnfield compare to each other Thanks http speccy piriform com results d nxOCfClZBi F

A:Will this processor upgrade gain me enough to be worth the $100?

Intel Core i7 870 vs i5 750

Scroll down to see how they compare to each other, and click to see how they each compare to newer parts.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/359745-will-processor-upgrade-gain-me-enough-worth-100-a.html
Relevancy 58.05%

Hey there My current Spec is in my sig apart from i no longer have g of ram having problems and just running on g atm I will be looking to upgrade in the near future AMD 4000+ worth advice, Processor it? i was going to save up my money and mybye get a duo or something at xmas when they will have went down a bit in price But i Noticed Overclockers co uk are doing a AMD San Diego for a good price Ive been told many a Processor advice, AMD 4000+ worth it? time how the AMD is a very good processor for gaming and since my birthday Processor advice, AMD 4000+ worth it? is coming up i figured i might just ask for one of these cant ask for anything TO pricey But what i really wanna know is will it give me much more performance that i have just now My system is kinda bottlenecked by my CPU atm and i m curious if this processor will help out As for the games i play pretty much anything especially MOH which is OpenGl which i think stresses the CPU and the processor i have just now can handle MOST games on high spec but it tends to fall in spots I also had a m who claimed that with this processor you can record yourself with FRAPS for example a demanding tool and not experiance any performance decrease He may have been lying as i never saw this for myself let me know if you have an idea on this one Anyways i just wanna know if it would be worth upgrading remembering that i cannot overclock the CPU with this current motherboard A long story short its a prick and MSI removed the overclocking feature Ive seen alot of ppl on here with the same processor so mybye you guys can give me some idea of how it performs Thanks nbsp

A:Processor advice, AMD 4000+ worth it?

You might be better off just getting an overclockable MoBo because then you can probably overclock your CPU to past 4000+ speeds and when you need a new CPU you can just get a X2 4800+.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/processor-advice-amd-4000-worth-it.56813/
Relevancy 58.05%

I have an old AcerNote Light 370PC Notebook that i was thinking of giving to my nan for internet browsing and typing, the only problem is, it only has 16mb ram. It currently has windows 95 installed and i was thinking of upgrading it to windows 98SE, but there is the ram issue, 98 on 16mb ram would be really sluggish. I found this ram on the internet and it is compatible, but is it really worth it? i mean i would only be adding an extra 32mb to my currently installed 16mb, would 48mb ram be enough? would 98 be fast?
cheers, josh

here's the link:
http://www.aememory.co.uk/category/notebook/aceracernotelight370pc529.html

A:Worth Upgrading?

Well, W98SE won't be "fast" with 48mb, and you may also have trouble finding compatible drivers for the MB stuff. You can give it a go and see if you can get W98 running on it...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/worth-upgrading.470156/
Relevancy 58.05%

I had to replace my memory recently, and now i have 4GB. I'm currently using vista 32 bit and it wouldn't be much hassle to upgrade to x64. I know there are compatibility issues, but i woulnt mind that for a bit more performance.

Relevancy 58.05%

Hi

My Tower is a good few years old now and with the support for XP stopping I'm wondering if it's worth getting some more memory for this and windows 7 or biting the bullet and investing in a new tower. Also an idea of how much memory I could add along with cost would be a help.

As it stands......HP Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.20GHz 1.00GB Ram. Windows XP

Thanks

A:Is This Worth Upgrading

It's more than a couple years old, it's a decade old. Saving up and buying a new machine rather than investing money into a single core Pentium 4 would be the much wiser.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/is-this-worth-upgrading.1123307/
Relevancy 58.05%

Couple scenarios for you guys. We currently have 3 laptops. My M2000, a new C2D Toshiba, and an A55-S106.

That aside, the A55 processor is a 1.40GHz Intel Celeron M Processor 360 running XP. Currently has 768MB of ram. It's the slowest of the bunch.

Would maxing out the memory slots at the cost of $56 for 2gb of ram be worthwhile? Will it really make the laptop MUCH more efficient at multitasking?

Or if I decide to sell, do you think having 2GB of RAM will get me a much higher price?

A:Upgrading A55 RAM worth it?

I still use a toshiba satellite M35X from 5 years ago, But I have 1gb ram and a 7200 rpm HD in it. (installed a long time ago). Runs great. If the costs are more than $300 - get a new laptop.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgrading-a55-ram-worth-it.113402/
Relevancy 58.05%

Hi, I have an hp pavilion that runs @ 2.1 ghz, with 512mb ram, and a geforce 5200 128 mb ram. I primarily use it to go online, watch streaming video, and play some "not so high-end" games. Im planning to upgrade it so that it will have 1gb ram and Im also planning to get either a geforce 6800 ultra 256mb or a geforce 6200 256mb. In order to run such high powered graphics card, I will need to upgrade my power supply to 400W. The total price is appoximately: $80 for another stick of 512 ram, $50 for a higher power supply unit, and $150 for the video card. Overall it all adds up to nearly $300. Is my computer worth upgrading?

A:Upgrading...is it worth it?

Many HP units use a non standard size power supply, please check this out as otherwise its a non-starter.

But otherwise I believe its better to start anew, upgrading still leaves the CPU as a bottleneck in performance.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/upgrading-is-it-worth-it.506306/
Relevancy 58.05%

i was thinging about upgraing my mobo, processor, and a slew of other things in my system. i was going to upgrade to a 64 bit processor and compatible mobo. but with pci-express coming out is should i upgrade now? or wait till september when it come out?

EDIT: btw, i was going to use my geforce 5700 ultra in my current system to last me.

Relevancy 58.05%

Hello all Apologies if this is a slightly facetious question I am worth Is my it upgrading PC? suffering from a little bit of knowledge regarding the subject I ve Is it worth upgrading my PC? had my desktop pc for the past years and while it still runs adequately it has become noticeably slower in certain departments opening programs etc However I m not sure whether to upgrade with new parts I assume the cheaper option or simply get a new computer altogether I have already put new parts in before installing a new graphics card and power supply I m not sure whether further new parts will just be prolonging the inevitable for a couple of years I guess what I am looking for is a simple yes no answer as to whether it is worth shelling out for a new machine I don t use it Is it worth upgrading my PC? for hugely intensive games or programs things like photoshop and Civ Is it worth upgrading my PC? would be about the limit but I would like it run faster it currently does Thanks in advance ant Stats below Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack bit Processor Intel R Core TM Duo CPU E GHz x Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce GTS - Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB D Total - MB Free - MB F Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard Dell Inc RY Antivirus avast Antivirus Updated and Enabled nbsp

Relevancy 58.05%

I basically have an old Lenovo laptop (Intel Core 2 Duo CPU P8700 2.53GHz and only 3GB RAM), and it's upgraded to the latest 1607 Windows version. However, it's only 32-bit when my processor is 64-bit based. I can't really be arsed to have to wipe everything to switch over to a x64 Win10. With those specs, is it actually worth it, or just keep it as it is? I read somewhere that it isn't worth x64 if less than 4GB RAM...

Thanks.

A:Is it worth upgrading to 64-bit OS?

Correct. If you have less than 4GB, upgrading is pointless and gives very little benefit. Unless you need to use an app that is 64 bit (but it sounds like this is not the case).

If you have 4GB or more you should go to 64 bit (with 4GB you will only be able to use about 3.3GB on a 32 bit OS, a 64 bit OS lets you use all 4GB)

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/59022-worth-upgrading-64-bit-os.html
Relevancy 58.05%

I'm looking to improve the (speed) performance of my old Dell XPS T600. It currently has 128MB of RAM installed and a 32MB NVidia video card. Is it worth upgrading? If yes, which upgrade will have more impact system RAM or a faster video card?

A:Is it worth upgrading?

Depends

What are the main funtions of this machine ? If it is used only for e-mail, web and word, spening a few extra bucks upping your RAM to 512mb would probably be all you need and maybe a hard drive update if you are into downloading any large media files, but if you plan on doing any modern gamming id have to reccomend scraping it and buying/building somthing more up to date.

If you list any specifics you do or want to do with this machine it will be a little more helpful

Take care.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-it-worth-upgrading.64831/
Relevancy 58.05%

I have a HP OmniBook XE3; it has recently had a 40GB hard drive installed and the RAM upgraded to 512MB. I am currently running Win2000 Pro. Is it worth or do you recommend upgrading to XP?

A:Worth Upgrading?

The first thing I would ask myself is why do I want upgrade it? It would depend for me, on what kinds of problems I was having.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/worth-upgrading-34581.html
Relevancy 58.05%

I have some extra cash, and my current hobby is taking my present desktop to it's ultimate limit...a good learning experience for me.
Would it be worth it to replace my current 2.26ghz p4 with a 2.8?

And while my mobo doesn't support HT, can I still put in a chip that does support it?

Thanks.

A:Worth upgrading CPU?

Yeah, it would be a decent performance difference. Not sure if your mobo would support a HT chip if it isnt made for it. It would be a good idea to pay 60-70 quid for a decent 800fsb p4 mobo. Having 8000fsb would be even more of a perfromance upgrade and will open the door for upgrading to better canterwood chips in the future.

If you cannot get the money for a new mobo, the 2.6b 533fsb would be a decent upgrade, they are about 110-120 quid.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/worth-upgrading-cpu.12371/
Relevancy 58.05%

currently im using a 2gig ram (1.74 usable).
and i just wanted to reduce the lag on my games.

but my question is.
how to i upgrade the ram on my computer (compaq cq62 215dx)
is 4 gig worth it?
should i install 3 gig instead?
CAN i install 3 gig?

i remember wanting to say something else but i cant think of it right now, so i will edit it in later.

thank you,
Aidan McHendry

A:is upgrading to 4 gig ram worth it?

Quote: Originally Posted by kueldood

currently im using a 2gig ram (1.74 usable).
and i just wanted to reduce the lag on my games.

but my question is.
how to i upgrade the ram on my computer (compaq cq62 215dx)
is 4 gig worth it?
should i install 3 gig instead?
CAN i install 3 gig?

i remember wanting to say something else but i cant think of it right now, so i will edit it in later.
thank you,
Aidan McHendry

Hi Aidan

Laptops are somewhat harder than desktops. If you are handy they still can be done. Go to the computer mfr and find the instructions for taking apart your lappy.

Make sure you aren't under warranty for this will void it.

Mine took me about 15 mins. 4 gigs are worth it but because you are 32bit you will only be able to use ~ 3.25 gigs.
Ken J

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/124997-upgrading-4-gig-ram-worth.html
Relevancy 58.05%

I am highly considering improving the desktop that my family uses. It is quite old and so the RAM is terrible, a whopping 512MB. I would like to 'max it out' to 2 GB. So without buying a totally new computer for them, I want to improve the pc efficiency with as little money. I do know that Windows 32-bit won't recognize all the RAM, but does that apply to all computers? If the pc, a HP Pavilion a520n, won't recognize all the RAM, would it still perform any better, or perform as if there was just 1 GB of RAM?
Thanks

Relevancy 58.05%

I want to upgrade my video card but when I opened my upgrading? it worth Is comp up to check where my AGP slot is Is it worth upgrading? I saw something totally unexpected I DON T HAVE ONE My current video card is an NVIDIA RIVA TNT Model Model Pro and I wanted to upgrade to a GeForce TI but i m guessing that Is it worth upgrading? those babies only connect via an AGP and not a PCI slot My question is is it worth me buying another video card because my choices are going to be severely limited and if so which one do I buy It s my own fault really coz when I bought my current machine months ago I knew jack about comps so maybe I should just save up for another months and buy another machine custom built with an AGP slot Any advice anyone has would be much appreciated Kevin P S - Just in case I got it TOTALLY wrong I attached a pic of the inside of my comp to this if u can see an AGP slot that I missed feel free to let me know and call me a dumbass nbsp

A:Is it worth upgrading?

Hmm...I can't see the pic I added...This is try #2....if it still doesn't show up i'll come back and add the pic to my yahoo briefcase and link to it

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/is-it-worth-upgrading.76242/
Relevancy 58.05%

I know lots of people have it but i never really understood the main thign of whats so different besides a cooler looking desktop. please provide info like if its more stable, less buggy. and stuff install properly on it. thanks a bucnh. i didnt know where to post this but w/e

A:Will upgrading to Win 7 be worth it?

Originally Posted by Impulse Fire911

I know lots of people have it but i never really understood the main thign of whats so different besides a cooler looking desktop. please provide info like if its more stable, less buggy. and stuff install properly on it. thanks a bucnh. i didnt know where to post this but w/e

IF

win 7 is more stable, less buggy, more efficient with resources (especially in 32bit) has tons more dirvers, has a lot of cool gui things, and im running it now.

iif I can run it on a P-IV 3.0ghz dell with 2 gigs of ram and 256mb video with no problems it will run on almost anything.

Ken

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/251163-will-upgrading-win-7-worth.html
Relevancy 58.05%

This is something I ve been thinking about off and on for about a year now My current system runs great and I ve had very few problems with it However it is getting a bit long in the tooth so I m just trying to look ahead and see what my options are Preferably before something fails I ve done two minor hardware replacements in the past year--one RAM stick failed and the CMOS battery died I have no reason to Worth upgrading? suspect anything else will Worth upgrading? but you never know with these things I ve had this computer for nearly five years now after all It s a desktop PC a Gateway These are the exact system specifications The only difference is that I upgraded from Vista to Windows recently--and believe it or not I never really had any problems with Vista I just felt like upgrading So any thoughts Usually what happens is I wait until my system has a catastrophic failure of some sort and then rush out to buy a replacement which is what happened when I bought this However I think I made out pretty well for it being basically an emergency buy lol In fact I am highly impressed that this thing runs like lightning compared to the less than a year old computer my mother bought when her ten year old eMachine finally kicked the bucket early last year That s the main reason why I d consider upgrading instead of replacing nbsp

Relevancy 58.05%

i am currently running my laptop on vista and saw that microsoft are offering students windows 7 for ?30. i was wondering is it worth me purchasing it, also i was going to get the downloadable one rather than buying a cd, is there a way in which i can reinstall 7 on my laptop if i need to reinstall my os for some reason in the future or do i need to purchase the cd version to be able to do that?
cheers

A:is it worth upgrading to 7

The downloadable installs are normally in the form of .ISO files which are actually DVD images and require to be written to disk, (needs a specific burn option not just copied), therefore re-installs should not be an issue.

However, if you purchase an upgrade install you may need to upgrade a activated and validated copy of vista to enable re-installation.

This may or may not be an issue but we will only know for sure after the actual upgrade disks are available for testing

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/30294-worth-upgrading-7-a.html
Relevancy 57.62%

I want to buy it but i'm not sure if it's worth 180$.
I have acutally an Intel? Core™2 Duo Processor E6850 (4M Cache, 3.00 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB) i have it since 2009, so i'm going to sell it to a friend of mine for 100$.
Should i really change from core 2 duo to i5? i heard that there wasnt a big difference between the two.
Btw i'm really sorry if i'm in the wrong section. And thank you.

A:Is Intel® Core™ i5-650 Processor (4M Cache, 3.20 GHz) worth it?

Quote: Originally Posted by AceZero

I want to buy it but i'm not sure if it's worth 180$.
I have acutally an Intel? Core?2 Duo Processor E6850 (4M Cache, 3.00 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB) i have it since 2009, so i'm going to sell it to a friend of mine for 100$.
Should i really change from core 2 duo to i5? i heard that there wasnt a big difference between the two.
Btw i'm really sorry if i'm in the wrong section. And thank you.

If I read the spec correctly, the E6850 uses Socket 775. The I5-650, Socket 1156. You'd need to replace your motherboard to go from one to the other.

Socket 1156 is already obsolete. If you were getting a new motherboard, Socket 1155 is current. You could buy a new "Ivy Bridge" I5 for about $180.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/244634-intel-core-i5-650-processor-4m-cache-3-20-ghz-worth.html
Relevancy 57.62%

I m building a new PC and I m narrowed down my processor choice to either the AMD Phenom II X T or the AMD for it Processor Core Video worth Editing? 6 Phenom II X The quick and dirty - I will be doing a lot of editing P fps video taken from a Canon Digital SLR using either Sony Vegas or Adobe Premiere CS Some videos will be minutes - I will also be playing a lot games on this system mostly FPS like Call of Duty and such I have already purchased a Radeon GB video card in case that helps - I will be running Windows Home Premium -bit with GB RAM but could take the or so I would save on the processor by going with the quad core and putting it towards more RAM or something else - I understand that Intel may have some advantages in this area but thanks to some deals I ve picked up along the way I m stuck with AMD for this build so please no comments on how I should go with an Intel CPU instead Is there a big enough advantage of going with the X over the X I ve read a lot of benchmark sites and they usually perform pretty close with the X actually edging the X at times but didn t know if those extra cores would really help out my video editing encoding 6 Core Processor worth it for Video Editing? performance to make it worth it or not Just wanted to get some advice thanks nbsp

Relevancy 57.62%

Hi..I was wondering if it is worth the money for mostly playing games....yes or no ?? any info is appreciated

Relevancy 57.62%

Hey all, I want to do a small upgrade...basically change my mobo from a p4s533-E to a P4P800SE
just cuz i have an AIW x800XT with X8 AGP and my mobo only runs x4 max
http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-Asustek_MB_ASUS_P4P800SE_865PE_ICH5_RET~r-1~CLT-INTR~RFR-www.google.ca

probably difficult to find one but i wanna try..

my processor is a northword 2.4 p4
1gig ocz RAM
antec true power 2.2 550W
p4s533-e
diamondmax 250 hdd
x800xt AIW
Audigy SB live

i only do this if i can get the mobo for cheap...i'm sure my video card is being bottlenecked!
just wanna be sure i won't have any problems switching my mobo from the p4s533-e to the P4P800SE

A:Is it worth upgrading my mobo?

i'm currently at work right now..but i'm sure my chipset is 478 on my current rig
so i found a bunch of cheap mobos going for around 50-80CD$

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=182

this one caught my eye...

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=14190&vpn=P4S800D-X&manufacture=ASUS

recommendations anyone?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-it-worth-upgrading-my-mobo.60842/
Relevancy 57.62%

Specification:Win 10 HSL 64-bitIntel Celeron N30502GB DDR3L Memory500 GB HDD. Is it worth to upgrade the ram for smoother and better performance? Thanks.

A:Is it worth upgrading the ram of ES1-431-C78A to 4...

Yes, you  should also consider upgrading your HDD to a SSD for performance boost.

http://community.acer.com/t5/E-and-M-Series-Laptops/Is-it-worth-upgrading-the-ram-of-ES1-431-C78A-to-4-GB/td-p/439555/jump-to/first-unread-message
Relevancy 57.62%

Okay here it goes I quot m looking at a used GT gfx card to put in my computer ONLY be these will if know worth upgrading to it Need parts Now i m also looking at a used processor off ebay AMD Athlon FX socket KB L GHz CPU And my computer only can max at watt power supply and the graphic card needs min of a watt power supply So I was thinking of getting a OCZ StealthXStream OCZ SXS W ATX V PIN Active PFC ATX Power Supply MM NOTE THAT I ALREADY HAVE FANS SO IS THERE ROOM TO PUT THIS IN ---------------- So if i upgrade all of this came up to just Need to know if upgrading these parts will be worth it before taxes will my computer be better Like able to play GTA san andreas on maximum graphics but no Need to know if upgrading these parts will be worth it lag Need to know if upgrading these parts will be worth it Is that processor any good motherboard is a socket and those processors new are very expensive compared to a AM one I KNOW i m getting that GT graphic card and that w is on sale so ya but i don t know if it could fit in my computer its returnable but its just a hassle My computer is a eMachines T http reviews cnet com desktops emachines-t - - html I ve already upgraded to gb of ram and a gb hdd nbsp

Relevancy 57.62%

I have Second Copy 7 & am really happy with it, but of course the upgrade emails says its "a major upgrade"

What do you guys think, is it worth shelling out the extra cash to upgrade?

A:Is it worth upgrading to Second Copy 8?

8??? What are you talking about?

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/111558-worth-upgrading-second-copy-8-a.html
Relevancy 57.62%

I am running MS Vista Home Premium on both my laptop and my desktop and have been considering upgrading to Windows 7 (Premium or Ultimate).
From viewing the posts in this forum however it looks as if W7 has or generates as many problems as Vista! (whatever happened to good old DOS?)

What do those who have upgraded think?

A:Is Windows 7 worth upgrading to?

I went from XP to Win7 on both a laptop and desktop no issues and think it was a upgrade the laptop especially seems snappier and it is not the latest hardware. The desktop has XP, Vista(32) and Win7 64 bit the footprint of Win 7 on the hard drive is smaller then Vista or XP(when counting all the updates) and the memory usage is lower then Vista. That said if the hardware is not fully supported under Vista it won't be in Win 7 either use the upgrade adviser to see if all your hardware/programs are supported> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/is-windows-7-worth-upgrading-to-454779.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Hi

I have a Dell Dimension 5150, I have already bought an SSD for it and now I am thinking about upgrading the processor from the 3ghz P4 to a pentium d945. Looking at benchmarks the D945 is a few hundred points better but will I see a difference. I do multitask a lot with my PC if that's important.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 3
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3070 Mb
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450, 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 71461 MB, Free - 10038 MB; J: Total - 476937 MB, Free - 43930 MB; T: Total - 114463 MB, Free - 20369 MB;
Motherboard: Dell Inc. , 0WG261,
Antivirus: Norton 360, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

Thank you

Relevancy 57.62%

I have 2 gb of ram and current setup is 32bit.. which will work fast.. 2gb ram with32bit or 2gb ram with 64bit?
[2GB RAM+32bit] OR [2GB RAM+64bit]

A:Is it worth upgrading to 64bit OS with 2gb ram?

To be honest Chandra if it were me I would add the extra RAM it sorta gives the system a bit more "breathing" space. As for the bit versions well if your gear can support 64bit then that is a no brainer and you really need minimum 3GB for that anyway..

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/372009-worth-upgrading-64bit-os-2gb-ram.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Hello I'm new and hope I'm not going to annoy anyone by posting a questions that may have already been posted I'm not a gamer just using the Z t for everyday tooling around but it is incredibly slow right now I have removed most of my stored data on this computer and placed it on a USB drive connected to my desktop I have also upgraded theRAM to GB Is it worth upgrading Worth a Z61t upgrading a Z t My research leads me to believe that I can increase the speed of the computer by about - for a few hundred dollars Could I just as easily buy a new 'bargain' laptop for about and get a better faster machine If I Worth upgrading a Z61t were to choose to upgrade the machine where can I find all encompassing information regarding the process I have changed RAM in this Z t and my Dell desktop but this would be my first complete overhaul My reasearch so far has pointed toward upgrading the following items Upgrade CPU processor to T G Upgrade HHD to - GBUpgrade OS to Windows ProPossibly upgrade RAM maxing out at GBI know there is a specific order to work on these processes Is there a central location or periodical that could walk me through the correct order Does anyone suggest any additional upgrades nbsp nbsp

A:Worth upgrading a Z61t

Welcome to the forum!

My advise would be to upgarde to 3GB RAM, install an SSD and put a 32bits Win7 on it. You won't recognize your machine anymore in terms of speed.

This is done rather easy, you already upgraded RAM once and swapping the hard drive it's even easier. Check the details in the hardware maintenance manual (HMM) which you can download from here: click me!

Check page 58 to see instructions how to replace a hard drive (page number printed in the pages, not the page number of your pdf viewer)

You can also upgrade your CPU, which requires removing more components (instructions in the HMM as well), but I personally would invest my money in the SSD first. Unless you have a Celeron or a single core CPU.

Hope this helps! And don't hesitate to post your questions here, that's why we're here 

P.S.: Could you post your machine type? It's a 7 digit code that you can find in blac&white sticker at the bottom of the laptop

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-Legacy-Laptops-A-I-V/Worth-upgrading-a-Z61t/td-p/1542500
Relevancy 57.62%

The Dell XPS desktop I bought in 2003 still has its original NIC (Intel 8254OEM). Am I correct in assuming I wouldn't see any networking (Internet) speed improvement if I installed a newer NIC? It's connected to an AT&T U-Verse router that delivers up to 6 Mbps.

A:Solved: Worth upgrading an old NIC?

Basically, yes. Without looking it up, I'd guess that your existing NIC is a 10/100 card i.e. 10Mbps or 100Mbps depending on what device it is connected to. In either case, your internet connection speed is the limiting factor and not the NIC.

Slainte

midders

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-worth-upgrading-an-old-nic.870613/
Relevancy 57.62%

I currently have an phenom II 940, AM2 Motheboard limited to ht 1.0. 4GB DDR2 1066. Things is im an upgrade addict .

Would it be worth (in terms of performance/ power savings) to upgrade to a Phenom II 955 with AM3 Motherboard 790gx and DDR3 1333. Would there be any difference in performance?

A:Worth upgrading? AM3 DDR3

Absolutely is my answer.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/7354-worth-upgrading-am3-ddr3.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Hi Guys!

I am presently using Photoshop 7. I am not a pro and use it just for some photo editing etc. I wanted to know weather or not Photoshop CS3 is worth upgrading.

Thank you.

Relevancy 57.62%

Basically, I want a computer which can play WoW, I currently use my laptop which peaks at about 8 FPS, and often drops to/below 3 FPS, which is just unbearable. Now, I'm 17, so on a low budget, and don't want a super-computer which can run 5 clients on ultra graphics... I just want to be able to use minimum graphics, at about 1024x768 resolution at a decent, constant FPS.

(This computer was mostly built out of spare parts donated from friends, so don't laugh).

Intel Desktop Board D845GRG
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.00 GHz
Nvida GeForce 6600 AGP

However, I could only get hold of 256MB of RAM, and as it uses DDR, I'm looking at a good £30(/$50) for the recommended amount for WoW.

All I'm wondering, is with the above components, and 2GB of RAM, would it be powerful enough to do what I want?

If you need any more information, just tell me what you need

Relevancy 57.62%

Hi everyone, i was just wondering if you thought it would be worth it to upgrade windows xp home to pro on a laptop. Windows claims that you get better battery management, does any one know if this is true from experience? What other big advantages are there?

A:Is it worth upgrading from home xp to pro?

I havent heard about the better battery time so i cant comment on that. I used XP Pro and Home in the past and (being just an average home user) dont see any diffrence. The diffrences are in the detail - and it depends what you are doing with your PC if you ever deal with these minor details. But its for sure that Home is not a "downgraded" version of Pro as some people might think - or is inferior in its performance. When it comes to that they are equal.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/is-it-worth-upgrading-from-home-xp-to-pro-45779.html
Relevancy 57.62%

I was given a laptop that a family member had buyers remorse it has alot problems. So trying to make it nice....But

Over heats fast cant watch videos,listen to music,normal websurfing without bad lag reinstalled vista still the same crap. (And tried putting fans + cleaning vents)

Hardware issue?

Specs

Model
HP Compaq nx7300

OS
Vista Home Basic 32bit

Processor
Intel Celeron M CPU 430 @ 1.73GHz 1.37GHz

Ram
1015MB ( 2x 512 DDR PC2-5300)

Graphic Chip
Moblie Intel 945GM Express Chipset Family

I dont want a gaming laptop just something I can play low graphic games and youtube videos

And is my ram really low or is it my CPU? Or the vista killing my graphic chip?......and Is my laptop CPU + Graphic Chips upgradeable?
Sorry for all the Qs I'm new to laptops o_o

A:Laptop: Worth Upgrading?

did you do a 'restore' to factory new? that should get rid of a number of the bugs caused by the previous owner
yes, doubling the amount of ram to 2 gb versus what you currently have would help
and a number of the start-ups and services can be set to manual to help also
this software usually helps some people's units
http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/
- be careful when using the program - DON'T just click yes - READ the instructions

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-worth-upgrading.837934/
Relevancy 57.62%

Hello everyone,
first of all i hope this is the right category, if not then mods please move it.

Im getting my new laptop tomorrow (windows vista), i can upgrade to windows 7 for free, now the question is that is it worth upgrading? or should i just stick to win vista?

If i do decide to upgrade can i run win xp/vista programs? Or do i have to wait for lets say netbeans to make a program for win 7??

thank you

A:Worth upgrading to windows 7??

Almost every piece of software I have from XP / Vista works fine in 7. I found Vista to be serviceable but very bloated. 7 is zippier and overall improved. I say go for it! Do it now rather than after you've got your programs all settled in. Less upheaval that way.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/34728-worth-upgrading-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Wanted to know if this old computer of mine is worth upgrading to a computer that can handle modern day computer games. Got this in 03' I think. Was hoping to just replace the graphics card and add some memory. Anyways let me know. Here's the stats.

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
3.20 gigahertz Intel Pentium D
16 kilobyte primary memory cache
2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)
Not hyper-threaded
2046 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory (4 sticks of 512)
NVIDIA GeForce 6200 TurboCache(TM) [Display adapter]

Relevancy 57.62%

I purchased my laptop in 2009, which came with Vista 32 bit OS.

I had lots of issues with the Vista OS, so I upgraded to Win 7/64 Pro OS in October of 2014.

I haven't had any major issues with the Win 7/64 Pro OS as of date and it has been fairly consistent. So I'm kind of reluctant to just jump on the free MS Win 10 upgrade.

I haven't used Win 10 before, so I have no clue what advantages Win 10 has over Win 7/64 Pro, if any, to make it worth upgrading to Win 10?

Any thoughts or input on this subject appreciated, thanks.

================================================

Also my CPU is running at 62 degrees celcius or 143.6 degrees Fahrenheit.

My Motherboard is currently running at 143-150 degrees Fahrenheit.

Are these temps normal?

Thanks again.

A:Worth upgrading from Win 7/64 Pro to Windows 10?

Millions of words have been written on the net about whether or not to upgrade to 10.

There's no over-riding reason to do it if you are happy with 7. 10 does have some new doodads that you may or may not appreciate. Sooner or later, you'll probably be forced into it unless you ditch Windows entirely, but Win 7 will be supported until Jan 2020, so many people are sitting tight.

There are some complaints about 10's intrusiveness, but many are indifferent to that.

Windows 7 is still by far the most commonly used operating system at about 55%. Windows 10 is under 10%.

Many can't resist it because it's currently free.

Those temps are quite high if the PC is idling, but low to OK if the PC if under a severe load. You didn't say.

Ambient temp has a near 1:1 effect on reported internal temps, so that's important as well. A machine that idles at 29 when ambient is 22 might idle at 34 if ambient is 28.

And laptops are nearly always hotter than desktops.

Over 80 for an extended period is shaky, regardless of circumstances.

I'd have no qualms about running in the 70s at all, but a desktop would rarely get that hot. Laptops, more frequently.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/388724-worth-upgrading-win-7-64-pro-windows-10-a.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Hello all,

I have a 8800GTX and a decent spec pc to match (so there aren't any substantial bottlenecks) but I've recently bought a 1920x1200 monitor, so my games are running a bit slower than they used to...

I've heard CF and SLI are best for higher resolutions, my MB supports CF but not SLI.

Is the 4870 worth it? Or am I going to have to pay a lot to see a reasonable gain?

Regards,

Alex.

A:Upgrading my 8800GTX, worth it?

A single HD 4870 will give you good performance at that resolution. For more power, the GTX 280 is the next best choice.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgrading-my-8800gtx-worth-it.116689/
Relevancy 57.62%

Currently on Windows 7, i have seen a few offers on upgrading but seeing as Windows 7 is fine as it is, what could i benefit from when upgrading?

A:Is it worth upgrading to Windows 8?

Timbon, If Windows 7 is working and doing what you want it to. Then wait for a while before upgrading to 8.

Rich

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/268832-worth-upgrading-windows-8-a.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Currently running Vista with a egforce 7300 gs 256mb. Looking to see if it would be worth while to upgrade to something like the 8600 series or something else. Also not sure if I should stay in the 256mb or go up to 320mb. Any suggestions would be helpful

1. Currently playing oblivion, C & C 3, and GTR2. Wife plays sims 2. I've been out of the pc gaming bit for a while but coming back to it.

2. Budget is $150-$200 range

3. Power supply is cooler master RP-550-PCAR with 12v1 @ 16a, 12v2 @16a

1. Motherboard - p5n32-e sli
2. Graphic interface -pci express x16
3. Memory - dual channel ddr 2 2048MB
4. CPU - Intel Core 2 e6700
5. CPU Speed -2.66GHz
6. Power Supply Make/Model - Cooler master RP-550-PCAR
7. Watt output/Amperage - 550W

A:Worth Upgrading from 7300 gs?

I think a 8 series card would be good for you, anything in the 8 series would show performance improvements.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/worth-upgrading-from-7300-gs.80268/
Relevancy 57.62%

I have a Dell XPS 400 32 bit computer that i would like to use to build a gaming computer, is it worth it?

A:Is a Dell XPS 400 worth upgrading?

No, considering it's about 10 years old it won't be able to play modern games.

It would be much better to build a new PC from scratch using up to date components

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/is-a-dell-xps-400-worth-upgrading.1154322/
Relevancy 57.62%

Hi folks,

I run an amd 3200+ with a gig of pc3200 ram and an nvidia 6800 128mb.

It's always done me fine, but recently I've been using a lot of maya and photoshop. Large images, while having both apps open, causes hang, worse if I've got the net open too.

If I upgrade to two gigs will I see a significant improvement in this? I'd like to be able to increase the size of my image files, but at the moment I can't.

I can get this:

CT12864Z40B DDR PC3200 ? CL=3 ? Unbuffered ? NON-ECC ? DDR400 ? 2.6V ? 128Meg x 64

for £35 (gbp) per gig. It's basically the same as my current memory, but I'd have two gig sticks instead of two 512 sticks.

Considering the rest of my machine is quite old though, I am just wondering if the memory would make working with multiple applications and large files more practical.

thanks,

gubar

A:Considering upgrading memory, is it worth it?

More RAM won't fix your system hangs. New RAM might...

If you are prepared to buy the new RAM, when your computer is running, it will run better. But if the old RAM isn't the source of your hangs the new RAM won't fix it.

I suggest running memtest overnight just to see if your RAM is faulty. Also it is probably worth checking out your Event Viewer in the Admin Tools control panel to see if that provides any clues to your problems.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/considering-upgrading-memory-is-it-worth-it.93281/
Relevancy 57.62%

Hiya Just been at my fella s parents house this afternoon and they wanted me to sort out their computer - it restarted and then came up with an error in DOS before Win saying that the registry file couldn t be found This is a common thing the technician has said that the hard drive Solved: really worth PC, it? old Upgrading GB total is Solved: Upgrading really old PC, worth it? completely destroyed and so the computer runs like it was made in the s So basically they ve asked me to fix it Now they ve not got a massive budget So it s either buy a whole new base system keep existing monitor and printer etc and spend around - or upgrade the hard drive and RAM from MB to MB - that s the max it can have and hopefully that should get it working up to some reasonable speed They don t use it for anything major or use it a lot of the time so just basically need something that loads things at a reasonable speed and doesn t take minutes to turn on They basically use it to store digital photos on and email them to other people and transfering CD mp files to their mp players as well as the usual browsing web pages etc There s no gaming or high graphics photo editing going on which is my basis for buying a cheap gig HDD and upgrading the RAM to the max of MB However my question is will it be worth it The processor isn t shot at - it s still a reasonably fast pentium not sure of it s clock speed and should be enough for running the programs they re used to Hope you can help me decide Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 57.62%

I have a friend who just bought a new XP Home laptop, actually, just before Christmas and has the coupon to upgrade. .

any opinions on whether it would be worth the trouble?

Thanks for any input you can give,

Wdm

A:Is upgrading worth it on a month-old PC?

It isn't a lot of trouble at all. Depending on the applications he has installed, he may be able to upgrade without having to do a fresh install of Vista. I would recommend redeeming the coupon - even if you choose not to upgrade. But Vista offers a lot of benefits, I say go for it.

If he needs to do a clean install, I suggest he partitions his hard drive for a couple of months, running XP and Vista on the same machine. That way, he will be able to jump back to XP if he has compatability problems with applications, and he will be able to pull important files accross to vista as he needs them.

What are the specs of the laptop?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/is-upgrading-worth-it-on-a-month-old-pc.541794/
Relevancy 57.62%

Hi I have AMD 7750 dual-core 7750 2.70ghz CPU with 4GB DDR2 ram.

Software:

AutoCAD r2010
REVIT 2014
IExplorer
Firefox
MS Office
etc.

Would i see a noticeable difference? I realize that my CPU is old, but until I launch Autocad or REVIT the PC runs fine, lags a little but perhaps it just might need backing up and doing the re-install of the OS and softwares.

Your thoughts?

Relevancy 57.62%

Hi First time posting so be gentle I bought an Acer Aspire T a couple of years back and have put a bit more ram in it and a better graphics card since but I m now using an external drive a lot as my internal drive a paltry gb is chock a block I bought a new internal nd drive on my Is upgrading worth PC? it ram? Limit at abou quid for gb but it won t mount so I m planning on returning it It s got me thinking though can I actually upgrade it much more and is it going to be worth it I ask because I only have ram slots One has a gb card in the other has a mb in When I look for a single stick of say or gb ram of the type of ram I have I can only seem to Is it worth upgrading PC? Limit on my ram? find it Is it worth upgrading PC? Limit on my ram? max of gb per stick So I have a couple of queries - My ram type is DDR MHz PC Is the biggest I can get this gb Is that a restriction - The PC is Acer Aspire T AMD Sempron bit It now has a mb graphics card but it s still not running how I d like it Will I be able to improve this a lot more or should I do what I want to do and just get a decent-spec laptop Any thoughts much appreciated hrhkingcol nbsp

A:Is it worth upgrading PC? Limit on my ram?

If you decide to get a new pc then i would recommend one of novatech's bare bones packages. I got a amd duo core 5200 package for £230 coupled with a cd drive and hard drive. then add a decent card like a 9600gt for about £80 or get a cheaper £55 8600gt which can run any title available today on low graphics. It depends on what you are using it for.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-it-worth-upgrading-pc-limit-on-my-ram.125576/
Relevancy 57.62%

Hi guys,

i need some advice,

is it worth upgrading my nvidia geforce 6600gt 128mb agp card to this: http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...hvd19wcm9kdWN0X3Jldmlld3M=&product_uid=103597

till i can afford to get a pci setup in about 6 months?

my specs:
ANTEC P180 case
ASUS a7n8x-e deluxe motherboard
AMD athlon XP 3200+ processor
2gb memory
550W psu

Few questions:
will i get a significant boost in graphics/performance to justify spending £130?
will it run ok on my system?
will it fit in my case?
will i need any extra cooling fans to run it?

would be grateful for any advice.

A:Is it worth upgrading my agp card?

well your psu will suffice and this is a nice card, i would say you would see some performance improvements, but im not sure to justify 130 (euros is it?) sorry im in the us or i would reccommend you some cheaper cards, but this looks pretty good for your setup. dont take it just from me stick around and see what others say, im somewhat stuck to ati so im not going to reccomend an nZvidia card right away...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-it-worth-upgrading-my-agp-card.77063/
Relevancy 57.62%

Hi guys!

I am using the free version of ZA 6 firewall. Now as Ver.7 has been released, is it worth upgrading and how about the resource usage.

Moreover, I read somewhere in this forum that ZA Internet Security has started using Kaspersky Antivirus Database. Is it true and if yes, how effecient is it???

Chao...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/is-zonealarm-7-worth-upgrading.565571/
Relevancy 57.62%

Hello all,

I have a Dell I3 4030u Laptop with 4 GB Memory. It currently has windows 8 on the machine, but there is an option to upgrade to windows 10.

I am wondering is it worth upgrading the system? Can the laptop handle and what are the unforeseen problems?

Thanks

A:Worth Upgrading to windows 10?

Yes it would be worth upgrading, you have until July 2016 to do the upgrade.
And i'm advising waiting until next year, so that W10 has a lot of the bugs removed
Also goto the dell website and using your service tag number see if they have windows 10 drivers available yet
that would be key to an upgrade
having said that , I have upgraded around 15 machines and only had an issue with 1 so far

I would make sure that 1) you have all your data backed up and 2) that you also have made the recovery USB drive for windows 8 - so if anything does go wrong you can back to your original system

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/worth-upgrading-to-windows-10.1159287/
Relevancy 56.76%

A simple yes or no will do.

If you have more description, feel free.

I have installed every build from 7000 to 7229 when they came out and I am getting a little tired..

So, if it's worth it, I'll do it.

A:Is 7264 worth upgrading from 7229?

As RTM is round the corner. Installing a intimate build is not worth it.
And if you are as crazy as me when it comes to new software it`s worth it. It gives you mental satisfaction that you are using the latest build.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/15232-7264-worth-upgrading-7229-a.html
Relevancy 56.76%

Hello,

I have a Lenovo U310 and it uses the wifi card Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N 2230. Currently I'm at university and my internet will drop in some spots and its really annoying cause I have to move to places that I can get the wifi. At the places my wifi doesn't work, my friends laptops work fine. I'm really thinking of investing in a upgrade for wifi card and I want the best card I can get (one that supports A/C band). Wondering what you guys think.

Thanks

A:Worth upgrading Wifi Card?

Could be the card, the cards antenna, or it's location in the laptop. The only real way to know if another will work better is to try.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/worth-upgrading-wifi-card.1158721/
Relevancy 56.76%

Hello all I have been wondering for a while now if I were to get a better setup what I to upgrading Worth HD from 6870? 5770 should Worth upgrading from HD 5770 to 6870? do I bought a XFX XXX edition but don t use the OC settings and had thought long about getting another one They no longer sell my exact card on Newegg nor TigerDirect Would it be fine just to get the XFX reg version or another brand I suppose it would be but just to make sure I was also thinking of maybe just getting a k series -namely the and selling the but I am told that a CF setup would be better as far as FPS but not in tessellation which I don t see games really using in the near future But I am also told that the s being -bit the -bit would benefit more I go to Afghanistan in spring so I was thinking maybe wait till I get back in and just upgrade all of it My current setup is as follows AMD Phenom II x Ghz w DDR PC x GB ASUS M A T-E mobo XFX ATI HD XXX edition old w PSU yes that s two-hundred eighty watts I have a PC P amp C SILENT w PSU sitting in the closet that Worth upgrading from HD 5770 to 6870? I originally took out of my rig when I decided it was cluttered with all the non-modular cables nbsp

A:Worth upgrading from HD 5770 to 6870?

If you can get the 6870, but if you want that exact card Newegg or Tigerdirect doesnt have anymore, im sure Amazon will.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/worth-upgrading-from-hd-5770-to-6870.165625/
Relevancy 56.76%

As my system spec says I have a H61 motherboard, which only supports SATA II

When Ivy bridge comes out I plan on getting an i3 or i5 (whatever is suitable and has HD 4000) and a 60-100gb SSD for OS and applications (the 1TB will still be used for videos and stuff, and it is only SATA II)

I don't really do THAT much gaming, and I don't think I'll be doing anything that requires superduperfast read/write to the boot drive.

So: would SATA II be a bad bottleneck for my system?

thanks.

A:Is SATA III worth upgrading my motherboard for?

nah, youll still see a massive performance leap from an normal hard drive to an SSD. it certainly wont create a bottle neck.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/201233-sata-iii-worth-upgrading-my-motherboard.html
Relevancy 56.76%

from micronpc

model number

d850gb-ody

serial number

2967973-0001

tell me if I need other information to find out what I can do to improve it.

Relevancy 56.76%

I ve been having trouble with graphics speed when taking screen shots of stills from home made mpg avi files using Screen Camera software where the movie slows to a halt while it sorts out memory use CPU Also Google Earth keeps crashing when doing Street level views of photos I got latest drivers for the SiS FX GX Mirage mb card but that didn t improve a thing card? better worth Is a to Graphics it upgrading So I upgraded my puny mb RAM as my next trick and bought an extra Gb card from Crucial I fitted it and now I have Gb of RAM and the memory seems to have a lot more headroom I say seems to have but it s made no difference to Google Earth or the Is it worth upgrading to a better Graphics card? freezing of the video when taking screen shots It also has a bad time as I try to save each of the still shot jpgs to file as the program is still trying to write the photo information and it s obviously out of puff completely I had hoped the bigger ram would cure this but should I upgrade the graphics card Or would this be putting good money after bad The PC is an ACER Aspire SA G Z not a brilliant bit of kit but a kind of El Cheapo Comet Warehouse special Perhaps I should ditch the whole shoot and buy a better PC I d be glad of expert s advice on this Thanks -- Plado nbsp

Relevancy 56.76%

Ok so I have a couple questions I m going to downgrading worth it? from is other) upgrading (and some my computer it refer to this later so I m posting my computer specs right now and then after explaining after what I did Current rigs Gaming AMD x ghz dual core gb RAM mhz GT OC two computer upgrading (and some downgrading from my other) is it worth it? in sli Other amd ghz single core gb RAM mhz x pro keep in mind this computer ONLY supports ddr and AGP Now here s my idea from making my gaming rig I had old parts AMD x ghz dual core motherboard that supports PCI-e DDR RAM Now I take the old mobo and processor which gives me dual core to replace my other computer then I take ONE of the gt oc s out of my gaming and just buy a stick of RAM I will only have to spend on some DDR RAM to turn my other computer to this AMD x GB RAM Mhz gt oc only one This new other computer will support pci-e and ddr instead of only agp and DDR and my gaming will just not have SLI gt oc s My question would it be worth it to have the other computer turned into the new other computer Question Will a gt oc WITHOUT SLI be a big loss over two of them in sli cause I don t have an extra PCI-e card I will have to take one of them out of my gaming rig Please help nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-upgrading-and-some-downgrading-from-my-other-is-it-worth-it.604435/
Relevancy 56.76%

just wondering if all windows updates should be downloaded and installed.. do they slow the computer down.. is it worth upgrading to service pack 3.. thanks heaps

Relevancy 56.76%

The topic title should already make it clear what I want to ask but I will ask none the less Today I used Internet Explorer and immediately I got a pop-up that advised me to download the file GetWindows -MSN exe so that I could upgrade to Windows Now because I have the Homepage of Win8.1? Is worth to it Win10 upgrading from IE set to the Is it worth upgrading to Win10 from Win8.1? official Microsoft website Address below I thought it to be save to Is it worth upgrading to Win10 from Win8.1? download that file and it was TSE - MBAM and Virustotal gave no warning what so ever My IE Homepage Microsoft Official Home Page Now of course I have not installed it because I know very little about Windows at the moment So one of my questions is is it worth upgrading from Windows to Windows Yeah I know it looks like a obvious choice does it but still An other question is if I decide to upgrade to Windows will I keep everything I have on my Desktop or would I loose everything on both my SSD On which I have Windows and my HDD Yeah I know DVD are cheap but if I where to loose everything then I will first need to buy a big pack next week nbsp

A:Is it worth upgrading to Win10 from Win8.1?

You have about 30 days to switch back if you don't like it, which is a good thing.

Firstly - You may lose your data due to unforeseen errors. It's a rare occurrence, but you don't want to be a statistic.

Secondly - In a lighter vein, Windows 10 is the biggest Junkware in the world. Be careful when you try to remove Potentially Unwanted Programs, Windows 10 doesn't get removed.

Thirdly - Are you aware that Microsoft wants Windows 10 to aggressively collect as much data about you as possible? This is no different from what Google and others do, obviously, but the exploits and their data collection policies are alarming. If you're privacy conscious, you may want to tweak a few settings during the installation. If you're paranoid about a company's data collection policies - Use a Guide to reduce privacy risk.

It also depends on what kind of computer you have, really. Is it a touchscreen? Are most of your important software Windows 10 compatible?

Everyone on here can give you great advice - better than mine, frankly. They'll list all the pros and cons more accurately, but it really depends on how you feel about using it. Are you comfortable with it? Do you like the smoothness and the interface and the settings? You have to decide it yourself within a month. Nobody can decide better than you yourself, no matter what we say, really.

Like it or hate it, Windows 10 is a good product despite its many exploits, bugs, data policies and flaws.

https://malwaretips.com/threads/is-it-worth-upgrading-to-win10-from-win8-1.56261/
Relevancy 56.76%

My boss bought a business and along came 30 computers. 12 will be trashed as they are slower than cellphones, 8 will be upgraded to Win7 as they are relatively good and 10 are Dell Optiplex GX 280 Running 2.8 or 3.0 Pentium 4 and 2-4GB or RAM. These computers will not get heavy use, word, excel and maybe quickbooks. Assuming that their hardware is without problems, is it worth upgrading them to Win7, or should we just get a cheapo $300 desktop from dell? Money is an issue as always. I just want to see the opinions of the community.

Thanks

A:Is it worth upgrading Dell Optiplex GX 280 to Win 7?

I would settle for what I had (forget the OS upgrade) or spend the $300 to get newer hardware (at least a machine with more than 1 core).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-it-worth-upgrading-dell-optiplex-gx-280-to-win-7.202197/
Relevancy 56.76%

check my system specs on the right...i have a 9500gt and im looking to go for a gtx 460....i know the cpu will limit performance, but still , what kind of performance gains should i expect switching from 9500gt to gtx 460 ?

A:Worth upgrading graphics card?

I think you might be OK with performance even with a HD6870 or 1GB GTX460. I'll leave others to let you know the difference between your current GPU and the above two though.

What PSU do you have, and what wattage is it?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/worth-upgrading-graphics-card.158397/
Relevancy 56.76%

My current spec is:

Intel Core duo 2 quad @ 2.4 GHz
305w psu
AMD 7770 gfx card
4 GB ddr2 ram
64 bit win 7 home prem.

I mostly play WoW and other mmo's... I rarely (and wouldnt be too bothered if I couldn't play them till next upgrade) play games with super high requirements like battlefield, gta etc and have the option to upgrade my graphics card to a 750 ti tomorrow (can get a new psu if needed).

or should I wait till next week and get a I5 + new motherboard and ram + keep my gfx card... link to exact model - http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/b72/his-hd-7770-iceq-x.html

How would gaming be on a machine with the specs of:

Intel core duo 2 quad 2.4 GHZ
GTX 750 TI
4GB ddr2 ram

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-it-worth-upgrading-my-gfx-card-in-this-situation.212087/
Relevancy 56.76%

I'm going to uni this year and to make my PC easier to transport to and from I have decided to switch from a full sized ATX case and mobo to their Mini ITX equivalent Is worth to 1150? it LGA 1155 LGA from upgrading However after doing some research I realised that my current processor Intel i - and mobo AsRock Pro Gen use the outdated LGA socket This leaves me with two options Either I can save a fair bit of cash and Is it worth upgrading from LGA 1155 to LGA 1150? just buy a mobo so that I can keep using my or I can buy both a new processor I was thinking of an i - k and a motherboard however this would cost me a lot of money that I didn't expect to spend The problem with just buying a motherboard is that it wouldn't be future proof at all as it is already outdated Whilst I don't think I'll see enough of a performance boost to justify buying a new processor as aside from general use I only really use my PC for light video editing I don't want to end up having to replace my motherboard again if I ever do decide to upgrade my CPU What would you do in this situation Thanks for the advice

A:Is it worth upgrading from LGA 1155 to LGA 1150?

The i5-4690K is about 30% faster than your current build. More so if overclocked. Whether that makes it worth spending ?300 for a new CPU and MB is up to you. Also remember you may need to purchase a new operating system as they usually won't allow you to change the MB. Personally I'd just considered living with what you have. You'll probably find your priorities change when you get to Uni and your PC might just start to gather dust in the corner of your room.

If you just want to browse, email and write documents then the new chromebooks are hard to beat. Sadly they won't do video editing though.

http://www.pchelpforum.com/computer-diy/123221-worth-upgrading-lga-1155-lga-1150-a.html
Relevancy 56.76%

I currently am running XP on all my computers When they have a new OS upgrading Windows from XP? [SOLVED] Is it worth come out I test it out at Staples Well as far as Vista is concerned I just hated it I couldn't find anything I needed plus it really aggravated me when I tried to create a new folder and couldn't even do that [SOLVED] Is it worth upgrading from Windows XP? I have tried Windows and I like it from what I can tell so far and I like the interface but I know that with XP at least all of my programs [SOLVED] Is it worth upgrading from Windows XP? are compatible my network works and I am not having any bugs problems with it I figure if I upgrade I will get myself a bunch of trouble with half of my programs that don't work and a bunch of bugs that you can't fix I know for a fact I'd have to go out and buy a new Microsoft Office package when the one I have now with XP is working just fine for what I need The other thing I liked about XP is that it was out for quite a long time with no new OS until Vista I believe it was I don't want to have to buy a new OS and then have them come out with a new OS that they want me to buy the next year What are your opinions

A:[SOLVED] Is it worth upgrading from Windows XP?

upgrading from xp to win7 is not a good idea usually due to your hardware is older and doesn't meet the win7 specs. you would want to go to MS web site and run the win7 compatibility analyzer.

win7 is vista on steriods btw.

the thought of I don't want to buy because a new os maybe released is self defeating. New is the name of the game in technology.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-is-it-worth-upgrading-from-windows-xp-629615.html
Relevancy 56.76%

Most new netbooks come with Windows 7 Starter. The only features that are restricted that I know of are inability to change desktop background, and no aero theme (is that the transparent GUI introduced in Vista?) Did they restrict system performance at all? That's really all that matters to me, since desktop background can be changed with 3rd party software.

Why did they make the Starter version in the first place? Are there more unavailable features that I'm not aware of? Couldn't it just ship with Home Premium? Paying $120 for desktop change and aero theme seems like a big waste of money IMO.

Relevancy 56.33%

Which of these processors is the best choice as a replacement processor for my HP Pavillion a6057c computer, any of which HP says can be used to replace the Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 processor in my computer? The recommended replacement processors HP recommends are: Core 2 Duo E6x00, Core 2 Duo E4x00, Pentium D 9x0 Dual Core, Pentium D 8xx Dual Core, Pentium 4 6x1 series, or the Celeron D 3xx series? This HP computer is fairly old and it may be better to just get a new computer with an excellent Intel processor. What do you think?

A:Is it worth replacing the Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 processor in my HP computer?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/is-it-worth-replacing-the-intel-core-2-duo-e4300-processor-in-my-hp-computer.1126142/
Relevancy 56.33%

I have an Acer eMachine eM250 netbook, and the graphics card is pretty dismal. I have a lot of games (e.g., The Sims 3) that aren't supported on this machine and I don't want them to go to waste. Would it be worth it to upgrade the video card (if it's even possible), or am I better off just saving up to buy a notebook with a decent graphics card?

A:Is it worth upgrading my video/graphics card?

Most laptops come with a built in Video card that cannot be change.....Your best bet would be to as you say is saving up for a laptop with a better Video card or better still buying a Desktop which you can upgrade easily.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/is-it-worth-upgrading-my-video-graphics-card.971120/
Relevancy 56.33%

The most demanding activity I do on my laptop is watch live TV on Windows Media Center. The picture is mostly smooth, just sometimes a little choppy. The laptop has a Core 2 Duo 2.0 Ghz processor and Intel integrated graphics 4500MHD.

Is it worth it to upgrade to 8GB, or should I save the money toward a new laptop? 8GB costs over $100 on Amazon.

A:Worth upgrading HP DV6-1030US to 8GB of RAM, mostly for Media Center?

Quote: Originally Posted by unoplayer

The most demanding activity I do on my laptop is watch live TV on Windows Media Center. The picture is mostly smooth, just sometimes a little choppy. The laptop has a Core 2 Duo 2.0 Ghz processor and Intel integrated graphics 4500MHD.

Is it worth it to upgrade to 8GB, or should I save the money toward a new laptop? 8GB costs over $100 on Amazon.

Before upgrading I would figure out what the choppiness is caused by. It may be your Download speed and not the ram.

Add to that the fact that when adding ram you should through the old ram out and buy 8 gigs of new ra, I would be sure

RAM should be purchased all in one package, and all at once or you run the risk of having sticks that dont match

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/208772-worth-upgrading-hp-dv6-1030us-8gb-ram-mostly-media-center.html
Relevancy 56.33%

Will I see any benefit upgrading gpu (GTX 750 Ti , GTX 1050 or GTX 1050 Ti). HP p7-1240 MSI MS-7778 (Jasmine) motherboard apu A10-5700 with integrated HD 7660D graphics10 GB RAM 240 GB PNY 1311 ssd,300-watt psu Used to surf internet, approx 3-4 hrs daily (unless researching specifc item).  Hooked on installed Bejeweled 3 (approx 4-6 hrs daily), Solitaire, MONEY Plus for recording incomes and expenses. SSD shortened bootup time some, but nothing exciting.  Used gift card to purchase it - so no big deal. Thanks for any pearls of wisdom.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/Worth-upgrading-gpu-in-HP-p7-1240-desktop-stock-except-ssd/td-p/5847656
Relevancy 56.33%

I Of 550tI Upgrading it too my GTX Other bUNCH :D questions Is worth + couldn't add any more to the question so here it goes I use my quot spooky moopy quot as i car er w i k For gaming a lot but as said i also want to be doing some video making too Like how guys like STAR Shibby or more famously Uberhaxornova Pewdiepie im too shy to do a video of me though along with voice So effectively having a BIG powerful machine was essential to me Is it worth Upgrading my GTX 550tI + bUNCH Of Other questions too :D I also could have got a i but since i wanted to do more i went for the i instead I know people say quot Instead of i buy an i and get a good gpu for it quot But since i already had a ASUS Nvidia GTX ti kicking around i thought hey i'll use it Though when i've looked up the card and all that i've seen people going quot GTX ti isn't enough card quot quot oooh your better off upgrading quot I get pretty good performance out of the card in games like TF Awesomenauts Minecraft Garrys mod And GTA IV But with all this being flung around Would you say it'd be worth like properly worth splashing out on a Graphics card upgrade for the benefits my MAX budget would be - so nothing top brand new but might be able to get a GTX ti Or would you say my current graphics card I seen it get upto FPS on TF will do me good for the next few years Or to put simply Would the benefits of upgrading my GTX ti in the stuff i do and intending to do like Gaming And video making editing Photoshop and flash Be worth my specific budget - GBP yoo - would be considered somewhat expensive as i Would rather kinda spend the monies on other things but if the benefit is huge and that i'd very consider doing so and giving the ti to another computer ANOTHER question is PCI wireless cards since im considering moving my Main PC up into my room i figured rather than buy another set of Metre Cables which do cause a little mess maybe a sound investment in a good wireless card But concerns are Would it have a performance impact over my wired set up like upload and download speeds and general internet and gaming stuff more internet intensive and If they are good what are the best brands since i do not want a cheap knock off one nor a USB one i'd rather a one which i can Put into my Mobo it's a aSRock B PRO M mobo just incase that mobo has restrictions and all that I know i can't OC it but im chill since the CPU OC's itself upto - Ghz so kinda - ghz off what i might have OCed too like that so they can be pretty crazy To put simply too PCI wireless cards do they do well and good best brands to have cause I dont want as said a bad one which would blow my motherboard YET another question too I know this is software but i thought i would bundle it all together For some reason while playing minecraft I would get nasty lag spikes where i'd normally be doing - FPS used to do it and sometimes i'd drive all the way down to even FPS or FPS and as said at the top i have a dedicated graphics card and a powerful PC so those two shouldn't be too much of an issue any idea why is it a MC related issue or do i have to fix something there ANOTHER question too software related I currently use Windows Home premium which Im sure you know only takes upto gb of ram unless i am mistaken And my PC has GB of ram Would it be worth upgrading it to Professional just to be able to use the extra GB of ram this is no big issue Something smallish though but is it a good gain or such YET ANOTHER question CPU upgrade I intend to use my Acer aspire More often once i get it's broken screen fixed but what i was thinking was It currently uses a i M processor And would it be worth splashing out and buying a i M processor I read i can change this laptops CPU I intend to use the laptop somewhat the same as i use my PC for but not full blast I'd use it for occasional gaming Web surfing but also sometimes screensharing and possibly might do videos stored on it too while on the go PS and all them while i'd be out or aga... Read more

A:Is it worth Upgrading my GTX 550tI + bUNCH Of Other questions too :D

zasheh,
First off welcome to SF. Maybe it's just me and a generational thing but I couldn't even read much less understand your first paragraph. Moving to the 550 gpu in my humble opinion I would continue to save and to upgrade over your current card I would expect to drop closer to 200 usd for a 2 or 3 gb premium gpu on sale.
Then regarding the wireless card. So many variables as in distance and wall materials can effect signal strength, a wire connection in my mind is best but when you can't go internal to the house and you don't want a wire running along the floor then go wireless. I've been all aver the map with cards versus usb dongles. I would look for a good card with one or two antennae whips out the back. The cost will be very modest and go with a matching brand to your modem if possible but not mandatory.

The ram issue is interesting and for the cost of the OS I would hold off and either pull half, leave it in and possibly see if you can set up a ram drive with half of it? My logic is no game will ever tax that much or even half that much ram, likely wouldn't even tax a forth of it. If you are video/audio editing, cad rendering then yes 32 and a OS upgrade when you can afford it.

The other issues I would break down into separate threads as most here will find the current thread just too lengthy.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/276787-worth-upgrading-my-gtx-550ti-bunch-other-questions-too-d.html
Relevancy 56.33%

Hey guys,

I'm wondering as to everyone's thoughts on this upgrade, going from a non-dual core A64 3700+ to an X2 4200+. It seems like a nice upgrade for my aging system, but would I see any real world benefit?

What I would need it for are games (Call of Duty 4, Crysis, etc) and watching HD content. 720p is never a problem, but depending on the movie 1080i and 1080p rarely runs well enough to watch.

Rest of my specs should show up in that drop down thing or I'll edit this post with them if not.

Thanks!

A:Worth upgrading: Athlon64 3700+ to X2 4200+?

It should give you a nice increase in performance even in day to day use where you'll find that running multiple applications at the same time is much smoother. That part you'll looking to upgrade to shouldn't be too expensive either.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/worth-upgrading-athlon64-3700-to-x2-4200.92158/
Relevancy 56.33%

will I notice any difference? Not by charts but by user experience will there be a great enough gain to justify the upgrade or would it be more similar to a side grade??? if it's just a side grade I'll wait until I can buy a GTX 460
Current card Newegg.com - ASUS EN9600GT TOP/HTDI/512M GeForce 9600 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

card i'm considering Newegg.com - PNY VCGGTS4501XPB GeForce GTS 450 (Fermi) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

A:Worth upgrading older 9600GT to newer GTS 450???

The GTS 450 has three times more processing cores than the 9600 GT so I would imagine it is quite a bit faster.

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/123279-worth-upgrading-older-9600gt-newer-gts-450-a.html
Relevancy 56.33%

Hey all,

So I would like to get some opinions. I'm thinking of getting a new PSU and Graphics card but I'm not sure if it's even worth it. My computer is about 2 and half years old. It's a Cyberpower brand. Here are the specs:

Computer type: PC/Desktop
System Manufacturer/Model Number: Cyberpower
CPU: AMD FX(tm)-4100 Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology M68MT-S2 x64-based PC
Memory: 8gb DDR3
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 520
PSU: 350 Watts

I want to do some casual gaming so I was looking to get a new video card, which would also require me to get a new PSU.

Do you guys think I should? Or not risk it on this older machine?

Thanks!

A:Is my computer worth upgrading the video card?

The CPU and RAM are ok for some casual gaming. I would invest in a better motherboard, perhaps one of the gigabyte 9## series, a 650watt psu, modular if you can afford it, a SSD drive and perhaps a video card like a GTX 660 TI to save some money yet have a good enough card to play on higher settings. If you have any money left over, perhaps a custom case so you can always upgrade further down the line ( space wise ).

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/312492-my-computer-worth-upgrading-video-card.html
Relevancy 56.33%

So I m buying a new computer with a Amd Phenom Ii X t ghz Processor I can select to upgrade the motherboard but am not sure if it s really worth it or if I will see any real differences One thing I want is dual monitors I m upgrading the graphics card to have two dvi outs if I went with a Ecs A gm-M Am Esata Hdmi Dvi amp a would this give me the ability to have dual monitors using the onboard video Below is the list of my options give me your thoughts new Buying worth mobo? upgrading computer, thanks very much in advance Amd Socket Am Am Athlon Ii Phenom Amd Am Am Ddr Pci-E Sata Mboard Ecs Buying new computer, worth upgrading mobo? Mcp m-M Socket Am Ddr- Mboard Add Ecs A gm-M Am Ddr Buying new computer, worth upgrading mobo? Pci-E Ati Hd Add Biostar Mcp p Am Nvidia Motherboard Add Asus M n t-M Am Ddr - Mboard Add Asus M a lt-M Le Am g Ddr Mboard Add Ecs A gm-M Ddr Amd g Radeon Hd Add Msi gm-E g Ddr Hybrid Crossfire Add Ecs A gm-Ad Am Ddr Hybrid Crossfire Add Biostar A g Amd g Am Motherboard Add Asus M a t-M Am Amd g mt S Ddr Add Msi gm-E Am Amd g Motherboard Add Ecs A gm-M Am Esata Hdmi Dvi amp a Add Msi gm-E g Ddr Am Hdmi Esata Add Asrock gm-Le Am Amd g Motherboard Add nbsp

A:Buying new computer, worth upgrading mobo?

1394A is for Firewire 400 connectors, and absolutely nothing to do with your video card.

Considering the new AMD "Bull Dozer" platform is due to be released shortly I wouldn't go mad on a new motherboard.

Most of todays current graphics cards will come with the connectors to facilitate the connection of at least two displays, so that shouldn't be an issue.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/buying-new-computer-worth-upgrading-mobo.164538/
Relevancy 56.33%

Hey there, I'm currently having helix 1st gen and some time ago I've downgraded from Win10 to Win8.1, because it was full of buggs (audio not working, wi-fi signal frequent drops and etc). Some time passed (~ 4months) and I'm considered about getting back to Win10. Is it worth?

Solved!
Go to Solution.

A:Helix 1gen worth upgrading to win10?

Hi,
Welcome to Lenovo Community.
I upgraded my Helix Gen 1 to Windows 10 recently. I have had no problems except that I had to reinstall my old Dell printer. (That was no surprise because it was made for XP.) No issues now though. Beforehand I made sure all of the Lenovo drivers for Helix Gen 1 were updated.  I decided not to update the BIOS to the next version because it had already been updated one version after I got the Helix. All computers are configured differently by the owner, but in my case everything went smoothly. Good luck!

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Tablet-and/Helix-1gen-worth-upgrading-to-win10/td-p/2274226
Relevancy 56.33%

i can't find anything solid when i looked it up on to i3-2100 Sandy,worth from it? i3-3220 Ivy Upgrading google Every forum i saw was BEFORE the release of ivy i 's and they are simply speculating but even then they say it is faster Anyways Upgrading to i3-3220 Ivy from i3-2100 Sandy,worth it? i can sell Upgrading to i3-3220 Ivy from i3-2100 Sandy,worth it? my current i which i bought barely months ago for about US and get an i - Ghz for about The question is should i Previously i had an Asrock Extreme gen motherboard and it had a few Pci slots and everywhere i read it said that all supported GPU like will give twice the performance on slot IF the processor was Ivy Im always looking to experiment with these things ive tried countless GPUs CPU's and motherboards in hope's to find that perfect build which will cost the LEAST for a new PC gamer and give maximum performance I think this might just be it Even with the it never quot bottleneck'ed quot my system it was always my GTX which was lacking Anyways need your opinion and would LOVE to hear from someone who has actually had experience with both or at least the i - processor My current system is as mentioned in my profile what im hoping to build is i - Any motherboard good for Ivy bridge processors GB x GB Crosair XMS DDR Fsb Ram either or depending on the availability and budget left What i hope to achieve is about increase in performance OVERALL because the processor is faster as it is GPU will run at much higher speeds Rams will also run at Fsb on stock etc and everything is for ivy i e new tech ya know

A:Upgrading to i3-3220 Ivy from i3-2100 Sandy,worth it?

The short answer to your question is it's not worth the expense if you already have a Sandy Bridge. The processers are not faster, they are 10% more efficient. The speeds are a few 100MHz faster, but that is nothing. I have a 2500K, 2600K and a 3770K and had a 3570K. I can tell you they are more efficient but not enough to justify the change. Oh, and yes they will overclock as well as Sandy (contrary to the reviews), but you better invest in a top quality cooler, they will get 10-15C hotter than Sandy, running stress tests. I know that is not what you want to hear, but it is true. I can do nothing with the 3770K I could not do with the 2600K, or the 2500K for that matter. And the PCIe 3.0 won't make much, if any difference to your graphics cards. The new cards are PCIe 3.0, but they still are not faster than PCIe 2.0 is capable of. My experience with a GTX 670 is you may see a few points in a benchmark, but actual usage, no difference. In fact, my highest Mark 3D 11 score was with a 2600K and the 670.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/257083-upgrading-i3-3220-ivy-i3-2100-sandy-worth.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi, I have a Lenovo ThinkPad W510 - 4319-24G and was wandering if upgrading the CPU is usefull.We only use it for simple things, no gaming or CPU intensive tasks. If so, what CPU can i put in without having to buy other heatsinks, coolers, adapters, etc etc ?The total cost i am looking to spend is about a good 50 dollar. The current processor is a i7-720QM (4x 1,6 GHz). Thank you very much and kind regards,Tom

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/Lenovo-ThinkPad-W510-4319-24G-worth-upgrading-CPU/td-p/3455964
Relevancy 55.47%

I used Kingston HyperX blu 4GB memory (4x = 16GB total) for my desktop upgrade 6 months ago.

I am curious if there is superior RAM out there. I don't refer to a 0-5% improvement. Is there significantly better RAM available for my setup? (lets say 15%+ faster than what I use)

I am constantly in Adobe After Effects eating up all of my memory. I also multi-task frequently switching between memory intense programs. I will squeeze every bit of performance out of faster memory.

Here is my configuration:

i7 2600K @ 4.4Ghz
ASRock extreme4 Motherboard
16GB RAM (4x 4GB HyperX blu DDR3 1333MHz)
2x Gigabyte 560ti SLI
Crucial M4 128GB SSD
Windows 7 64bit

When I upgraded I was advised to go with 1333MHz. Is there significant performance to be had beyond this? It is an inexpensive area to upgrade so I am very curious.

A:Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1333MHz -- worth upgrading?

Not at all worth upgrading IMO.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/kingston-hyperx-blu-ddr3-1333mhz-worth-upgrading.175525/
Relevancy 55.04%

Hey guys This is a bit of an odd one I have a five year old Laptop kicking about in my house ACER Aspire and it s been very reliable over the years I have a great desktop PC so I hardly 5600 (This CPU it? Upgrading ancient!) ACER Is even is it Aspire worth thing - ever use Upgrading ACER Aspire 5600 CPU - Is it even worth it? (This thing is ancient!) the Laptop any more but I may soon be moving away for a little while I won t be able to take my desktop computer with me for the move and it s looking like it ll be up to my trustworthy to keep me going for a year or so I m thinking though before the move I d like to upgrade its CPU if possible In the past I upgraded the RAM to a pair of DDR GB sticks and it all works fine The CPU however is the basic Intel Core Duo T that came with it and despite having XP running with basic presentation enabled it can still be a little slow I m not sure if this is going to be all that worth it but should I upgrade the CPU I m trying to find a better CPU compatible with the laptop I have but aren t getting very far Does anyone here know what processors would run in this old thing Here are some current specs for my machine CPU Intel Core Duo T Cores Threads Name Intel Core Duo T Code Name Yonah Package Socket mPGA Technology nm Specification Genuine Intel R CPU T GHz Family Extended Family Model E Extended Model E Stepping Revision C Instructions MMX SSE SSE SSE Virtualization Unsupported Hyperthreading Not supported Bus Speed MHz Rated Bus Speed MHz Stock Core Speed MHz Stock Bus Speed MHz Average Temperature C Caches L Data Cache Size x KBytes L Instructions Cache Size x KBytes L Unified Cache Size KBytesClick to expand Motherboard Manufacturer Acer Inc Model Bodensee Version Not Applicable Chipset Vendor Intel Chipset Model i GM Chipset Revision Southbridge Vendor Intel Southbridge Model GHM ICH -M U Southbridge Revision B System Temperature C BIOS Brand Acer Version v Date PCI Data Slot PCI Slot Type PCI Slot Usage Unknown Data But Width bit Slot Designation PCI Slot J Slot Number Click to expand Any help and advice would be much appreciated Cheers nbsp

A:Upgrading ACER Aspire 5600 CPU - Is it even worth it? (This thing is ancient!)

I wouldn't do it, because even if a T2500 or T2700 would fit, the BIOS might not recognize it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/upgrading-acer-aspire-5600-cpu-is-it-even-worth-it-this-thing-is-ancient.1018246/
Relevancy 55.04%

Seeing a local store is selling an 840 Evo for the price of SSDNow v300s and such inferior drives, I was wondering if it might be worth getting.
It seems pretty clear to me that the new Samsung is considerably faster than my old Force 3 but I'm wondering if the SATA controller of my Sabertooth X58 will be too big a bottleneck for the speed to really matter... I can't find very exact info on this kind of a matter :/

E: The drive would be for my OS, along with several games (Guild Wars 2, varying other such loading intensive ones) like my Force 3 has been. Force 3 would then have some secondary read-intensive files/programs/whatnot on it, since I'm already juggling files at 25ish G free of the 120 so I kind of need some more space.

A:Upgrading a Corsair Force 3 120GB to a Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB worth it on x58 system?

The Sabertooth X58 has SATA 6Gb/s so no real bottleneck there. Assuming you are using the correct SATA 6Gb/s ports and not the SATA 3Gb/s ports.

The performance of both drives seem to be pretty close unless you are looking at different numbers.

Samsung 840 EVO:
Read/Write: 540/520MB/s
4K IOPS: 94,000

Corsair Force 3:
Read/Write: 550/510MB/s
4K IOPS: 85,000

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/upgrading-a-corsair-force-3-120gb-to-a-samsung-840-evo-120-gb-worth-it-on-x58-system.1119366/
Relevancy 52.03%

Sorry, this may be stupid question but I'd rather ask it here online.

I want to upgrade my processor to an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz or maybe something better if I'm able.

I'm just unsure if I'm actually able to upgrade my laptop at all.

I'm not very good with computers so I'm just going to give all the specs I can:

Operating System: Windows 7 Pro 32-bit (6.1, Build 7600)
System Manufacturer: LENOVO
System Model: 28473ZU
BIOS: Ver 1.00PARTTBL
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Dueo CPU T6570 @ 2.10GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.1GHz
Memory: 2048MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 11

I would also like to know if i can upgrade to an NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB
from my graphics card which i guess is:
Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family.

any help I'll greatly appreciate it.
Thank you.

A:Upgrading processor

The ONLY stupid question is the one you don't ask!

The cpu is upgradeable if...and only...if....the cpu you are trying to upgrade to has the same front side bus speed...Yours is 800 MHz and the socket type is the exact same!

Go here...http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/product-and-parts/detail.page?DocID=PD014521

this should provide you the options for upgrading available via Lenovo's tech support site!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgrading-processor.179129/
Relevancy 52.03%

I have an Intel D975XBX2 motherboard and an E6600 Duo Core 2.4 GHz processor. I am interested in getting a faster processor. Any recommendations for this motherboard and will I need to reformat the hard drive?

Thanks

Relevancy 52.03%

I currently have a AMD Turion II Ultra M620 Dual Core Laptop CPU Processor

# TMM620DB023GQ, 2.5GHz, Socket S1 running in a HP Pavilion DV7

What is the Fastest CPU out there that will work with my system?
Also will anything else fit my S1 socket? Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/upgrading-cpu-processor.1164694/
Relevancy 52.03%

I have this for a mobo.... http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4550/specs.htm#1101572
And I am looking to upgrade to a 3.06 p4. will this work...
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1264577
I am not sure other than the GHZ and FSB what to get...like socket type or anything else.....

Relevancy 52.03%

Hi, I currently have an AMD 64 Athlon processor, can i upgrade it to a newer version of the same processor, (e.g. the dual core version,) or is there something else i need to know about my current processor before i can upgrade it?

Thx alot

A:Upgrading my processor

You need to know whether or not your motherboard will support the new processor. Also, take care of the type of CPU socket you have, since you can only buy a CPU built for that socket. Also, your motherboard might need a BIOS update depending on what CPU you want to install in it. All the information will be available on the motherboard manufacturer's webpage for that particular motherboard. If you have an OEM PC from HP or the like, then you need to go to the page for your specific computer's model and see what CPUs you can use in it.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgrading-my-processor.105725/
Relevancy 52.03%

I need to upgrade the processor from 1 core to at least dual core.  Can anyone please help?  I found a compatible processor on Amazon but don't know how to install it.  Lots of thanks. Tina

A:Upgrading processor

@Tina2016?, welcome to the forum. The processor that came with your computer has two cores.  However, here are the processors that have been fully tested to assure that they will work properly: TDP: Up to 84 WSocket type: LGA 1150 (Socket-H2)Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:ProcessorTDPIntegrated GraphicsIntel Celeron G1820 (Haswell) 2.7 GHz Dual Core54 WIntel HD Graphics (GT1)Intel Pentium G1840 (Haswell) 2.8 GHz Dual Core53 WIntel HD Graphics (GT1)Intel Pentium G3220 (Haswell) 3.0 GHz Dual Core54 WIntel HD Graphics (GT1)Intel Pentium G3240 (Haswell) 3.1 GHz Dual Core53 WIntel HD Graphics (GT1)Intel Pentium G3250 (Haswell) 3.2 GHz Dual Core53 WIntel HD Graphics (GT1)Intel Core i3-4130 (Haswell) 3.4 GHz Dual Core54 WIntel HD Graphics 4400 (GT2)Intel Core i3-4150 (Haswell) 3.5 GHz Dual Core54 WIntel HD Graphics 4400 (GT2)Intel Core i3-4160 (Haswell) 3.5 GHz Dual Core54 WIntel HD Graphics 4400 (GT2)Intel Core i3-4330 (Haswell) 3.5 GHz Dual Core54 WIntel HD Graphics 4400 (GT2)Intel Core i5-4430 (Haswell) 3.0 GHz Quad Core84 WIntel HD Graphics 4600 (GT2)Intel Core i5-4440 (Haswell) 3.1 GHz Quad Core84 WIntel HD Graphics 4600 (GT2)Intel Core i5-4460 (Haswell) 3.4 GHz Quad Core84 WIntel HD Graphics 4600 (GT2)Intel Core i5-4460S (Haswell) 3.1 GHz Quad Core84 WIntel HD Graphics 4600 (GT2)Intel Core i5-4570 (Haswell) 3.2 GHz Quad Core84 WIntel HD Graphics 4600 (GT2)Intel Core i5-4670 (Haswell) 3.4 GHz Quad Core84 WIntel HD Graphics 4600 (GT2)Intel Core i7-4770 (Haswell) 3.4 GHz Quad Core84 WIntel HD Graphics 4600 (GT2)Intel Core i7-4771 (Haswell) 3.5 GHz Quad Core84 WIntel HD Graphics 4600 (GT2)Intel Core i7-4790 (Haswell) 3.6 GHz Quad Core84 WIntel HD Graphics 4600 (GT2)Intel Core i7-4790S (Haswell) 3.2 GHz Quad Core65 WIntel HD Graphics 4600 (GT2)  You have to make certain that the TDP matches the one that you bought. Here is a guide that will help you replace it: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07139 If you need further help, please let us know. Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Upgrading-processor/td-p/5797176