Windows Support Forum

Missing C:\Windows\system32\logon.exe?/MOVED

Q: Missing C:\Windows\system32\logon.exe?/MOVED

Hello BleepingComputer,

I recently ran my MBAM (malwarebytes) for an antimalware scan, and it had detected C:\WINDOWS\system32\logon.exe as a Trojan.Agent,and before thinking it through, I decided to go along with its decision and "delete on reboot." Now everytime I login, a windows error message comes up that says "missing logon.exe, check your system if its spelled right, etc etc" and it seems everytime I open up Windows Explorer, it crashes... Is there any way I can get a "replacement logon.exe," or what else can I do?
Thanks in advance for your help!
~Obfuscated

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Missing C:\Windows\system32\logon.exe?/MOVED

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Missing C:\Windows\system32\logon.exe?/MOVED

Logon.exe is malware...winlogon.exe is a valid Windows file.http://www.baidumsg.com/Howtoremove/Howtoremove_40281.htmlhttp://www.prevx.com/filenames/X1615289856.../LOGON.EXE.htmlhttp://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/winlogon.exe.htmlI am going to suggest that your post be moved to the Am I Infected forum, where those more knowledgeable can assist you.Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/229102/missing-cwindowssystem32logonexemoved/
Relevancy 63.21%

Hi,I'm running Windows Vista and am infected with this file:c:\windows\system32\msivxcountWhen I open Firefox or Inernet Explorer, I get the following message:globalroot\systemroot\system32\MSIVXfvunnipfqjocqxlicucgbxdjlxqeakhj.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator of the software vendor for support.If I click OK or close the window, then my browser will still load, but it's slower than normal.I ran Malware Bytes by Antimalware and it said that it found the file and said it would delete it upon reboot. But, after rebooting I scanned again and it's still finding this file. Also, if I manually try to find the file where the Malware Bytes says it is, I can't find it.Can someone help out? Thanks!

A:Can't delete C:\windows\system32\msivxcount [Moved]

As no logs have been posted, I am shifting this topic from the specialized HiJack This forum to the Am I Infected forum.==>PLEASE DO NOT NOW POST LOGS<== unless a log is specifically requested.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/238854/cant-delete-cwindowssystem32msivxcount-moved/
Relevancy 62.35%

I am having major problems and am very frustrated! I installed a TrendNet wireless card on a Toshiba laptop. It was having problems, so I uninstalled everything, went to TrendNet's sight and downloaded the driver from there, along w/ the utility.

When I rebooted the computer, it will notlet me log in. It says Failed to logon C:\windows\system32\wireless\wirelessgui

I can not log on to Last Known Good Configuration, Safe Mode with networking, Safe mode. I can however get to the desktop if I go to Safe Mode with Command Prompt! I don't know how to fix this error!! HELP!

A:LOGON FAILED C:\windows\system32\wireless\wirelessgui

Hi Kelley H, welcome to BC! Are you sure that's the exact error message? I can find no reference to it anywhere!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/232820/logon-failed-cwindowssystem32wirelesswirelessgui/
Relevancy 62.35%

My antivirus malware deal keeps popping up showing "C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe " saying that there is a malware problem. It pops up so much that I have permanently muted my volume and it keeps freezing my computer. I don't know how to make it stop but I've read a few things that said its a trojan horse virus or something. I just don't know what to do anymore. Can someone please help?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/c-windows-system32-svchost-exe-trojan-or-what-moved-from-xp-forum.1093634/
Relevancy 61.92%

Hello
My computer was infected with the Win 32 Sality Virus and I managed to get most of it healed using AVG Win 32 Sality Virus remover. I was running a scan using Avast Home Edition to see what was left, and it says that my Windows system 32 is corrupted with the virus. I know that this folder has all the files necessary to use the operating system, so I don't want to do anything to harm it, as I really can't afford to fix this computer or lose my work. I would really apprecite some advice on how to treat this problem. I am really scared out of my mind.
Thanks

A:c:\windows\system32\logon.scr infected with Win32 Sality Virus

Hello and welcome to TSF

We want all our members to perform the steps outlined in the link I'll give you below, before posting for assistance. There's a sticky at the top of this forum, and a
Quote:

Having problems with spyware and pop-ups? First Steps

link at the top of each page.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please follow our pre-posting process outlined here:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f50/...lp-305963.html

After running through all the steps, you shall have a proper set of logs. Please post them in a new topic, as this one shall be closed.

If you have trouble with one of the steps, simply move on to the next one, and make note of it in your reply.

Please start a new thread in our Virus/Trojan/Spyware forum along with the required logs

Please note that the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help forum is extremely busy, and it may take a while to receive a reply.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f50/c-windows-system32-logon-scr-infected-with-win32-sality-virus-372078.html
Relevancy 61.49%

Hi guys, can anybody help me,I keep getting 2 Rundll error messages poping up they read:
1. Error loading C:\WINDOWS\system32\qbhcgxwk.dll
The specified module could not be found

2. Error loading C:\WINDOWS\system32\kcxndpbh.dll
The specified module could not be found

My pc recently recovered from a virus which AVG took care of, it was aVundo trojan horse attached to C:\WINDOWS\system32\qbhcgxwk.dll So I wonder if this is where the damage was done?
My computer now runs smoothly and correctly except for these 2 messages, Please help.

Relevancy 57.19%

Hi a while back i did a cleaning of my comp that had spyware malware and now when i start up i get missing dll messages some may be just put there by the malware that got deleted and i just need to go to msconfig but i just wanted to make sure here are the messages i get for each these two show up as RUNDLL on my toolbar and have a dialogue box with a red X in it idk if this is of importance but i figured i'd be as specific as possible error loading C Program files qnojwrql udehajql dll The specified module could not be found error loading C WINDOWS system mgmiuici dll The specified module could not be found The next nine moved XP Windows - Missing dll from all show up as RegSvr on my toolbar and are grouped seperate than the other two on my toolbar LoadLibrary quot C Documents and Settings All Users Application Missing dll - moved from Windows XP Data urozojwj dll quot Missing dll - moved from Windows XP failed - the specified module could not be found LoadLibrary quot C Documents and Settings All Users Application Data jyjexwng dll quot failed - the specified module Missing dll - moved from Windows XP could not be found LoadLibrary quot C Documents and Settings All Users Application Data dovipkzy dll quot failed - the specified module could not be found LoadLibrary quot C Documents and Settings All Users Application Data argtyjgj dll quot failed - the specified module could not be found LoadLibrary quot C Documents and Settings All Users Application Data mvedsxqh dll quot failed - the specified module could not be found LoadLibrary quot C Documents and Settings All Users Application Data yravqfix dll quot failed - the specified module could not be found LoadLibrary quot C Documents and Settings All Users Application Data ytchqvsf dll quot failed - the specified module could not be found LoadLibrary quot C Documents and Settings All Users Application Data daxmhqto dll quot failed - the specified module could not be found LoadLibrary quot C Documents and Settings All Users Application Data mzudyfqz dll quot failed - the specified module could not be found i run windows xp SP i will also note that i have frequence quot not responsive quot messages from programs i run particularly my internet browser - i use Opera primarily but firefox has the same issues these are relatively minor problems nothing major i've had these errors pop up for a while and my comp has run fairly smoothly other than that any ideas on what the function of these dll's are and where i could download them again if they are necessary thanks in advance

A:Missing dll - moved from Windows XP

Looks like an after effect of the infection. I will move this to Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help section.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f50/missing-dll-moved-from-windows-xp-358669.html
Relevancy 57.19%

It started with wanting a clean install of xp. It came loaded on my 2006 Gateway, so I had a restore disk. Everything went well until I recieved this error message at the very end. I have researched the problem (two days now) and tried many things. I made a recovery console disk and ran it. All suggestions from various sites I looked at have failed. Seems as though it could be a incorrect Boot.ini file. Windows is loaded, I think. H is Fat 32 Partition 2. C is NTFS Partition 1, I is the CD Rom. I have used chkdsk C: /r and it looks ok. sfg /scannow will not work. So I can't get into windows at all. I would appriciate any help. Thanks

A:missing windows\system32\hal.dll

chicadee2006 said:

It started with wanting a clean install of xp. It came loaded on my 2006 Gateway, so I had a restore disk. Everything went well until I recieved this error message at the very end. I have researched the problem (two days now) and tried many things. I made a recovery console disk and ran it. All suggestions from various sites I looked at have failed. Seems as though it could be a incorrect Boot.ini file. Windows is loaded, I think. H is Fat 32 Partition 2. C is NTFS Partition 1, I is the CD Rom. I have used chkdsk C: /r and it looks ok. sfg /scannow will not work. So I can't get into windows at all. I would appriciate any help. ThanksClick to expand...

If you get an error regarding a missing or corrupt hal.dll file, it might simply be the BOOT.INI file on the root of the C: drive that is misconfigured

Insert and boot from your WindowsXP CD.
At the first R=Repair option, press the R key
Press the number that corresponds to the correct location for the installation of Windows you want to repair.
Typically this will be #1
Type bootcfg /list to show the current entries in the BOOT.INI file
Type bootcfg /rebuild to repair it
Take out the CD ROM and type exit

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/missing-windows-system32-hal-dll.1013468/
Relevancy 57.19%

Windows system32/hal.dll missing,today i help sister run some virus scan and clean up her notebook,then i run disk cheanup and it deleted all system files.and i click restart,and i saw this word "Windows system32/hal.dll missing".
anyone know how to fix it ??

Relevancy 56.76%

I have a bit of an odd one to me I ve worked to unable on missing XP / log Windows Logon on this computer before- and to give you an idea as to why I don t want to reimage it it is the laptop of a coworker s son who was killed in action- his mother has had me repair it a Windows XP missing Logon / unable to log on few times when it had Windows XP missing Logon / unable to log on problems She gave it to me a few months ago when the logon screen stopped coming up This is an Acer Aspire- so you see the windows quot Starting Windows XP quot screen and then it rolls over to the acer Aspire background screen The mouse icon appears And then it sits there forever alt-control-delete doesn t work I have replaced the kernel and logonui from i - didn t work I have scandisk spinrite virus scanned the disk- found some problems fixed them didn t work I have rebuilt the windows install- didn t work I ve used UBCD to check out the registry and disk and I can gain access to everything just fine- I just can t get it to get to the logon screen to actually allow you onto the system I ve made a couple of backups of the data to be sure it s safe Suggestions very much welcome

A:Windows XP missing Logon / unable to log on

<<I have rebuilt the windows install- didn't work.>>It helps if we know exactly what you did and did not do.Whatever "rebuilding the windows install" might be...it's not necessarily an effective solution for every computer situation. In fact, it's quite ineffective when confronted with hardware and malware situations.Did you run the correct respective hard drive diagnostic, downloadable from the hard drive manufacturer's website?Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/318065/windows-xp-missing-logon-unable-to-log-on/
Relevancy 56.76%

every time i turn on my laptop.... ' %hs is missing'
what should i do....can anybody help me to fix this

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hs-is-missing-moved-from-windows-7-forum.1139344/
Relevancy 56.33%

hi please wexcuse my bad typing

i reformatted both hard drives and i tried to run recovery and i get and windows system32 hal dll missing

i cant do any thing in the advanced safe mode it all takes me back the the message any clues thanks guys

Relevancy 56.33%

I have a pc running xp home addition, well was running xp home edition. I turend my computer on a got "missing or corrupt file \windows\system32\l_intl.nls" and reccomends to insert the xp disk and do a repair install. so i try a repair install and every windows cd i use does not go past the option of letting me repair install, the disk always freezes. so i took the hard drive out and bought a enclosure so i could hook it up to my other comp through usb so i could copy the file over. So, i hook it up to my other comp and it says the drive is not formatted.

plz help.

A:missing \windows\system32\l_intl.nls HELP!!!

you might want this in the Windows 2000/XP area. There is a post very similar to this there.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/missing-windows-system32-l_intl-nls-help.434997/
Relevancy 56.33%

I keep on getting this error when I run my computer system32 mpr.dll missing.
Okay here is what happened my .net framework was acting up so I decided to repair the
program. After that I restarted my computer and it was a rap from there. I can no longer run
my computer ex. I start my computer up and all it does is just restart it self over and over
again. I do not have a windows xp reinstall disk but I did try the system restore disk that did not work along with two other disk I brought from ebay.

I am thinking of upgrading to windows vista will this solve the problem?

A:Need Help Fast C:\WINDOWS\System32\mpr.dll missing

have you tried doing last known good configuration?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-help-fast-c-windows-system32-mpr-dll-missing.697053/
Relevancy 56.33%

I need a little help fixing my aunt s computer It was running fine yesterday then after a windows update her computer started showing <Windows Root>\System32\hal.dll missing is the error lt Windows Root gt System hal dll is missing Please replace the file Click to expand when she turned on her computer Not sure on the exact wording Anyways it s an HP computer with Windows XP Home and it already has system recovery on it so I don t need to <Windows Root>\System32\hal.dll is missing use the XP installation cd When I go to system recovery it shows two options D MiniNT C Windows Click to expand I ve tried different things on both installations but nothing works When I run CHKDSK it says one or more errors found I ve tried using my xp installation cd and replacing the hal dll file using Code expand d i hal dl c windows system hal dll but <Windows Root>\System32\hal.dll is missing that didn t work When I typed Code bootcfg list however it said that no windows installations could be found I also tried Code fixboot and it said it made a new partition boot sector The computer still won t work Now I m stuck and I don t know what else to do nbsp

Relevancy 56.33%

Hi there,

I would really appreciate some help. First, before someone says it, I have searched for this error, however, as there is no cd rom in the laptop I can't follow the instructions to fix, so I'm stumped!

My brother has a Dell Inspiron Mini 10 with XP. He is receiving the above error message on boot up. The fix appears to be to use the recovery cd? Like I say there's no cd drive on this laptop so I'm clueless as to how to fix it.

Can someone please help? Is there another way to get the system to boot?

Also is there a way to get chkdsk to run without the cd? A couple of forums said that this sometimes fixes the problem but again can't run cheksk unless I can boot the laptop.

Also does anyone know what causes this problem?

Thanks in advance.

A:missing windows root\system32\hal.dll

Well, maybe the best solution would be to find an external CD ROM drive and do chkdsk...
Otherwise, I am not sure you can fix it without entering the Recovery Console...
Lets wait to see if anyone else has a solution...

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/missing-windows-root-system32-hal-dll-411832.html
Relevancy 56.33%

Hi there everyone i have just downloaded winpatrol and when looking in services i found a service that is listed appmgmts.dll but when i checked the info for this and i searched for the c:\windows\system32\appmgmts.dll missing it is totally missing, it is just not there at all
OS Vista SP2 32bit

A:c:\windows\system32\appmgmts.dll missing

Try this appmgmts.dll download - free dll files

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/261091-c-windows-system32-appmgmts-dll-missing.html
Relevancy 56.33%

Not sure if I lost this due to a virus but window shows up at start . Is there any way to find a copy of this file & reinstall without formatting my drive? I'll check back in a day or so. Have A2 anti virus but this came up anyway. Update daily? What happened? Machine seems to work well other than loading system 32 repair programs. Not too literate registry items or or subjects at this. my son finishing his P.H.D. in Physics & lives a long distance away. Any help would be appreciated. S.R.G.

A:Missing windows\system32\gizehure.dll

Hi srg,

It sounds like your system still has remnants of an infection. I suggest you follow the instructions here - http://www.techsupportforum.com/f50/...lp-305963.html. (Don't post your logs back in this thread - they will be deleted).

If you have problems with any of the steps, simply move on to the next one and make a note of the problem in your reply.

The guys in the Security Forum are always busy, so please be patient while waiting for a reply - it may take a few days.

Good luck!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/missing-windows-system32-gizehure-dll-457016.html
Relevancy 56.33%

I am not the best with computers and i have come across a problem I was using the internet and a pop up of a virus detected came up and i closed it thinking it was a virus When i was using the internet at that time i could not root>/system32/hal.dll <windows missing? open any links the window would go white and eventually the same pop up came back on I decided to run my <windows root>/system32/hal.dll missing? spyware software but the whole computer froze upon loading I then restarted my computer only to find that it was stuck on some kind of reboot loop where it <windows root>/system32/hal.dll missing? would ask my <windows root>/system32/hal.dll missing? to run in safe mode or run normally but no matter what i chose it would go to the load up screen of windows xp professional for a second and then a quick flash of a blue screen would appear and then the restarting process would begin again ive searched all over the internet to find a solution to my problem but am yet to find one if anybody could help it would be greatly appreciated nbsp

A:<windows root>/system32/hal.dll missing?

Missing Or Corrupt Hal.dll Error Resolution

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-root-system32-hal-dll-missing.887807/
Relevancy 56.33%

Is there any way to fix this problem without having cd

A:Missing <windows root>\system32\hal.dll.

Depends on what's causing it. If it's caused by a missing boot loader file or a corrupt MBR, you can boot with a substitute media that has the 3 necessary files for booting and it will allow access to the system for possibly making repairs. The boot media will need to be formatted on a ntfs system and contain the three files ntldr, ntdetect.com and boot.ini. I can offer a link for creating such media if you need it.

Otherwise, if the error is caused by some major error in the system files beyond the bootloader area, then you may need the install CD. It could be that the hal.dll file is missing but that's not usually the case.

That is not to say you couldn't get an iso file from the internet and make a Recovery Console boot CD which would allow you to boot to the RC and make repairs but that would depend on your abilities and if you knew where to make such repairs.

BTW, if you are getting that message when using the boot media I offered in the other post of your other thread ( http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/976050-pc-doctor-needed-2.html#post7778423 ), that's a common message when you choose the wrong partition from the initial menu it presents. In your case, you should be choosing the 1st partition of the 1st hard drive. (I think) If you get the message from all choices, then you have a system problem that will require an install CD or RC boot CD as I stated earlier.

If this is the same computer and same problem, you should keep it all in the original thread, lest you lose track of who said what and perhaps lose the interest of your helpers.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/missing-windows-root-system32-hal-dll.976108/
Relevancy 56.33%

a friends comp will now not boot up to windows and gives this error as a needed file. she is able to boot from d drive but doesnt want to rewrite xp as to not lose files,progs etc. what can be done to recover this file, can i put it on a floppy and give it to her and is this viral related? she has xp home and seems she cannot boot up in safemode also. also when trying to repair xp home, she gets stuck wher eit asks for the admin password, and her comp isnt setup with an admin, just user? she also removed cable select jumper in attempt to remove excess passwords, a windows suggestion.

any help much appreciated and thanks in advance.

Relevancy 56.33%

Ok on my moms's windows xp she ran a system restore and when she restarted it a message popped up saying Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <windows root>/system32.hal.dll is missing Please re-install a copy of the above file. Any help needed
THANKS VERY MUCH in advance

Relevancy 56.33%

I get the message 99% of the time.....occasionally I get the 'press any key' to boot from cd and can get to the recovery console.
When I was able to get into the recovery console...I tried chkdsk /r and it stopped at 75% then back to 50% then back to 75% then in seconds was at 100%.
Once I was in recovery console, I tried fixboot, but it didn't help. I exited and now I can't get the darn Xp cd to boot again.

A:<windows Root> System32\hal.dll Is Missing

How old is your HD. The "hal" message is usually an indication that the computer is having difficulty reading the boot HD. This can be because you have recently been installing other dual OS's, for example, or a dying HD.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/82106/system32haldll-is-missing/
Relevancy 56.33%

My system I just bought today won't boot because it's missing system32 dll.

I tryed to run system recovery but it just goes to a screen asking me if I want to leve system recovery, NO I WANT TO RECOVER MY SYSTEM! I can't see the option to do so.

So I exited the system recovery and tryed to just reinstall the whole thing. It ran into a partition, what ever that is, and told me it couldn't get past it or something and it wanted to reformat the partition making me lose very thing in it. Need less to say i'm not just going to let the thing start dleeting stuff, and that's where I'm at.

any assistance would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Edit-

The exact wording is...

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32/hal .dll.
please reinstall a copy of the above file.

Relevancy 56.33%

Hello I am working on a laptop that has Windows on it It had a couple of errors First it had that Win Home Security on it and it wouldn't let you access the internet It kept blocking any site you try to visit I found a registration code that activated it so it now lets me go online Under Files c:\windows\system32 3 Missing and does not prompt me for a credit card and state that there are virus's that are really not there I scanned the entire system for virus's it found trojan horses and 3 Files Missing Under c:\windows\system32 removed them Note that Win Home Security is not 3 Files Missing Under c:\windows\system32 gone it is just activated Here is my problem It was doing this before I activated Win Home Security When I start up the laptop and it loads Windows when the desktop is loaded it says it cannot find the following files a separate window pops up for each one c windows system igfxpers exe c windows system mrt exe c windows system hkcmd exe I manually copied these files from the same type of laptop Dell Inspiron so I know the files are there but I still keep getting the errors that those files cannot be found Someone told me to scan the laptop for malware I tried to download malwarebytes but when I try to run the setup it doesn't do anything I tried rebooting downloading over and it keeps doing the same thing Is it malware that could be causing this As I said I scanned the system and it found virus's and now there are none on it Any idea how I can get the files to load Or can I disable them so they won't even try to load The system works fine with them not loaded I just need to stop the errors from coming up Any ideas on a quick fix Thanks Ox

A:3 Files Missing Under c:\windows\system32

I suggest that you read this sticky: NEW INSTRUCTIONS - Read This Before Posting For Malware Removal Help
Follow the directions and post a new topic here:
Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help - Tech Support Forum

BTW, did you activate Win 7 Home Security 2011 by paying for it? If so, contact your bank or credit card company, dispute the charge and have a new card issued. This is rogueware and all they want is your money. It is not a valid program.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/3-files-missing-under-c-windows-system32-568659.html
Relevancy 56.33%

Hi am new and came across this website through yahoo An error pops up saying the cmd exe is missing when I try to run on safe mode to repair a virus called piiapzvp dll I installed hijack and I got the following log Now what do I do I am not comfortable deleting the files listed sine I really do not know what these are for Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System C:\windows\system32\cmd32.exe missing svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C C:\windows\system32\cmd32.exe missing WINDOWS Explorer exe C C:\windows\system32\cmd32.exe missing WINDOWS wt updater wcmdmgr exe C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe C WINDOWS System spool DRIVERS W X E S I D C:\windows\system32\cmd32.exe missing EXE C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe C Program Files WinZip WZQKPICK EXE C Program Files Common Files EPSON EBAPI SAgent exe C Program Files Norton AntiVirus navapsvc exe C WINDOWS System spool DRIVERS W X E S IC EXE C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Internet Explorer IEXPLORE EXE C Program Files Internet Explorer IEXPLORE EXE C PROGRA WINZIP winzip exe C Program Files Hijack HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www yahoo com F - system ini Shell Explorer exe C WINDOWS System cmd exe F - REG system ini Shell Explorer exe C WINDOWS System cmd exe O - BHO no name - D -C F - efb- B - ECA - C WINDOWS Downloaded Program Files ycomp dll O - BHO no name - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Reader ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO NAV Helper - BDF E -B - AD-A -FADC B - C Program Files Norton AntiVirus NavShExt dll O - Toolbar Alexa - CEFF CD- F - E D-BCCD-FF C B - C WINDOWS System SHDOCVW DLL O - Toolbar Yahoo Companion - EF BD -C FB- D - F- D F - C WINDOWS Downloaded Program Files ycomp dll O - Toolbar amp Radio - E - F- D - E- A C - C WINDOWS System msdxm ocx O - Toolbar Norton AntiVirus - CDD BF- FFB- - AD - DF B D - C Program Files Norton AntiVirus NavShExt dll O - HKLM Run wcmdmgr C WINDOWS wt updater wcmdmgrl exe -launch O - HKLM Run Ink Monitor C Program Files EPSON Ink Monitor InkMonitor exe O - HKLM Run QuickTime Task quot C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe quot -atboottime O - HKLM Run P P Networking C WINDOWS System P P Networking P P Networking exe AUTOSTART O - HKLM Run EPSON Stylus C Series C WINDOWS System spool DRIVERS W X E S I D EXE P quot EPSON Stylus C Series quot O quot USB quot M quot Stylus C quot O - HKLM Run ccApp C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe O - HKCU Run MSMSGS quot C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe quot background O - Global Startup EPSON Status Monitor Environment Check lnk C WINDOWS system spool drivers w x E SRCV EXE O - Global Startup Microsoft Office lnk C Program Files Microsoft Office Office OSA EXE O - Global Startup WinZip Quick Pick lnk C Program Files WinZip WZQKPICK EXE O - Extra context menu item Alexa Web Search - http client alexa com holiday script actions search htm O - Extra context menu item Get Alexa Data - http client alexa com holiday script actions sitedata htm O - Extra context menu item Mail to a Friend - http client alexa com holiday script actions mailto htm O - Extra context menu item See Related Links - http client alexa com holiday script actions related htm O - Extra context menu item Write a Review - http client alexa com holiday script actions review htm O - Extra button Alexa HKLM O - Extra Tools menuitem Alexa Toolbar HKLM O - Extra button AIM HKLM O - Extra button Related HKLM O - Extra Tools menuitem Show amp Related Links HKLM O - Plugin for pdf C Program Files Internet Explorer PLUGINS nppdf dll O - DPF Yahoo Chat - http us chat yimg com us yimg com i chat applet c chat cab O - DPF BF D - C - B -BC -D ABDDC B QuickTime Object - http www apple com qta... Read more

A:C:\windows\system32\cmd32.exe missing

Check and fix these

F0 - system.ini: Shell=Explorer.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd32.exe
F2 - REG:system.ini: Shell=Explorer.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd32.exe
O3 - Toolbar: Alexa - {3CEFF6CD-6F08-4E4D-BCCD-FF7415288C3B} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\SHDOCVW.DLL
O8 - Extra context menu item: Alexa Web Search - http://client.alexa.com/holiday/scr...ions/search.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Get Alexa Data - http://client.alexa.com/holiday/scr...ns/sitedata.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Mail to a Friend... - http://client.alexa.com/holiday/scr...ions/mailto.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: See Related Links - http://client.alexa.com/holiday/scr...ons/related.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Write a Review... - http://client.alexa.com/holiday/scr...ions/review.htm
O9 - Extra button: Alexa (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Alexa Toolbar (HKLM)
O16 - DPF: {55A3DA4D-1EE2-3592-2B47-0855F68B8D7F} (DownloadUL Class) - http://public.searchbarcash.com/cab/004/zscrjdjl.cab
O16 - DPF: {69A72A8A-84ED-4A75-8CE7-263DBEF3E5D3} (BrowserProxy4 Class) - http://download.alexa.com/clients/Alexa7.cab
O16 - DPF: {C64C9CBD-8F82-4E77-0EF3-A2BFF63F6C1C} (DownloadUL Class) - http://public.searchbarcash.com/cab/003/piiapzvp.cab

The Alexa toolbar is spyware.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/c-windows-system32-cmd32-exe-missing.187179/
Relevancy 56.33%

I have a pc running xp home addition, well was running xp home edition. I turend my computer on a got "missing or corrupt file \windows\system32\l_intl.nls" and reccomends to insert the xp disk and do a repair install. so i try a repair install and every windows cd i use does not go past the option of letting me repair install, the disk always freezes. so i took the hard drive out and bought a enclosure so i could hook it up to my other comp through usb so i could copy the file over. So, i hook it up to my other comp and it says the drive is not formatted.

plz help.

A:missing \windows\system32\l_intl.nls HELP!!!

Anyone please!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/missing-windows-system32-l_intl-nls-help.435008/
Relevancy 56.33%

Ok here goes. When i start my computer it boots up normal no problems at all. After the windows logo pops up i get the error message (c:/windows system32/msgina.dll missing) and then prompts me to reboot. Im not real familiar with msgina, or any graphics for that matter. please help. and thanks in advance

A:c:/Windows system32/msgina.dll missing

Hi Rowander and welcome to TSF !

Do you have the XP CD ?

If you have it then try to start the computer in safe mode (repeatedly press F8 during startup to bring the menu with that option) then go to start => run and type "sfc /scannow" (without the quotes and with the space). This will run the system files checker which will replace missing and corrupt system files. A backup of the msgina file should be in c:\windows\system32\dllcache\ and if it isn't, sfc will ask for your XP CD.

If safe mode doesn't work, boot the computer on the XP install CD : enter the bios at startup (usually by pressing del) and change the boot priority to CD-rom first. When Windows install screen appears, press 'R' at the first screen to access the recovery console. There do the following :
cd c:\windows\system32
ren msgina.dll msgina.old
cd dllcache
copy MSGINA.DLL c:\windows\system32

Now while we're there it would be a good idea to check the disk for error, so type chkdsk c: /F /R

Once that's done restart and reset the boot order to HDD first.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/c-windows-system32-msgina-dll-missing-163279.html
Relevancy 56.33%

Hello:
I have a Vundo infection so I tried to use combofix. Everything seem to be correct but I am not able to logon correctly another time to windows XP. Since this machine is from work, I am administrator with network profile password but don't have the password for the computer standing alone (no network) Now, when I try to log on there is a message that says that GINAG42B.dll is missing. I have remove the hard disk and look for it on windows/system32 and is already there. Since I don't have the local password I am not able to log into the computer to uninstall combofix. Don't know what to do, any help would be appreciated.
Thanks and regards

A:Combofix error dll missing on windows logon

Hi NEWYNE, and welcome to BleepingComputer.ComboFix is an extremely powerful tool which should only be used when instructed to do so by someone who has been properly trained. ComboFix is intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert", NOT for private use. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.I will see if I can get a moderator to move this topic to the Am I Infected forum where it will get the kind of attention it warrants.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/189655/combofix-error-dll-missing-on-windows-logon/
Relevancy 56.33%

I got a virus and attempted to remove it using the process explorer provided by Microsoft I also ran HiJack before I cleaned it The log is as follows Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved (Moved Missing from Object lass.exe XP) Windows at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Verizon Verizon Internet Security Suite Fws exe C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files Adobe Photoshop Elements PhotoshopElementsFileAgent exe C Program Files Common Files Authentium AntiVirus dvpapi exe C Program Files CA PPRT bin ITMRTSVC exe C Program Files Common Files LightScribe LSSrvc exe C Program Files Raxco PerfectDisk PDAgent exe C WINDOWS system spool drivers w x hpztsb exe C Program Files HP hpcoretech hpcmpmgr exe C Object Missing lass.exe (Moved from Windows XP) Program Files Hewlett-Packard HP Software Update HPWuSchd exe C WINDOWS system hphmon exe C Program Files PowerISO PWRISOVM EXE C Program Files Analog Devices SoundMAX SMax PNP exe C Program Files Analog Devices SoundMAX Smax exe C Program Files Verizon McciTrayApp exe C Program Files Common Files Logitech QCDriver LVCOMS EXE C Program Files Logitech ImageStudio LogiTray exe C Program Files Common Files InstallShield UpdateService issch exe C Program Files Hewlett-Packard Digital Imaging Unload hpqcmon exe C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C Program Files Verizon VSP VerizonServicepoint exe C Program Files Common Files Roxio Shared SharedCOM RoxWatch exe C Program Files Verizon Verizon Internet Security Suite Rps exe C Program Files Adobe Photoshop Elements apdproxy exe C Program Files Common Files Roxio Shared SharedCOM RoxWatchTray exe C Program Files Roxio CinePlayer DMXLauncher exe C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Acrobat Acrotray exe C Program Files MSN Messenger MsnMsgr Exe C Program Files Logitech Desktop Messenger Program BackWeb- exe C Program Files Common Files Ahead Lib NMBgMonitor exe C Program Files Yahoo Messenger YahooMessenger exe C Program Files Common Files Ahead Lib NMIndexStoreSvr exe C Program Files Verizon VSP VerizonServicepointComHandler exe C Program Files HP hpcoretech comp hptskmgr exe C WINDOWS system tcpsvcs exe C WINDOWS System snmp exe C Program Files Analog Devices SoundMAX SMAgent exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system MsPMSPSv exe C Program Files Raxco PerfectDisk PDEngine exe C WINDOWS system HPZipm exe C Program Files Common Files Macrovision Shared FLEXnet Publisher FNPLicensingService exe C Program Files Verizon Verizon Internet Security Suite rpsupdaterR exe C Program Files Common Files Roxio Shared SharedCOM RoxMediaDB exe C Program Files Common Files Roxio Shared SharedCOM CPSHelpRunner exe C WINDOWS system wuauclt exe C Program Files Hijackthis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http g msn com SEENUS SAOS FORM TOOLBR R - HKCU Software Object Missing lass.exe (Moved from Windows XP) Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http g msn com SEENUS SAOS FORM TOOLBR R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http search live com mkt en-us R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Object Missing lass.exe (Moved from Windows XP) Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer SearchURL Default http g msn com SEENUS SAOS FORM TOOLBR R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersio... Read more

A:Object Missing lass.exe (Moved from Windows XP)

Hi..

Please download Combofix from HERE or HERE

Save ComboFix to the desktop.

1. Double click on combo.exe & follow the prompts.
2. When finished, it will produce a logfile located at C:\ComboFix.txt.
3. Copy and Paste the contents of that log in your next reply with a new hijackthis log. Do not use Code or html unless asked for.
Note: Do not mouseclick combofix's window while it is running. That may cause your system to stall/hang.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/object-missing-lass-exe-moved-from-windows-xp-188435.html
Relevancy 55.9%

I just received a phone call from my brother, who lives about 75 miles away stating that he is having problems booting up his computer. On bootup, he gets a black screen that says <windows root>\system32\hal.dll missing or corrupted, please reinstall. It will be tomorrow beforw I have the computer in front of me to actually see it myself. I am great with building machines but not strong with software. Any one have any good advice at possible problems solutions? My first thought is to boot to Win XP CD and try a repair. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Jim

A:<windows root>\system32\hal.dll missing/corrupt

jlabit said:

I just received a phone call from my brother, who lives about 75 miles away stating that he is having problems booting up his computer. On bootup, he gets a black screen that says <windows root>\system32\hal.dll missing or corrupted, please reinstall. It will be tomorrow beforw I have the computer in front of me to actually see it myself. I am great with building machines but not strong with software. Any one have any good advice at possible problems solutions? My first thought is to boot to Win XP CD and try a repair. Any suggestions? Thanks.

JimClick to expand...

go to recovery console

type in the installation

type bootcfg /list

type bootcfg/rebuild

type Microsoft Windows XP *enter your editon here ..Professional or Home Edition*

type /fastdetect

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-root-system32-hal-dll-missing-corrupt.418693/
Relevancy 55.9%

I'm getting this message after I had is root>\system32\hal.dll corrupt <windows missing or my system hang and stop working I had to manually shut it down after waiting minutes for it to try to shut down when it wouldn't I have taken the hard drive out and hooked it up to my other computer as a slave and copied the hal dll file from the working PC to D windows system directory of the crashed drive Still I get the same quot lt windows <windows root>\system32\hal.dll is missing or corrupt root gt system hal dll is missing or corrupt quot message <windows root>\system32\hal.dll is missing or corrupt Why does it say it's corrupt or missing when I copied it from the other working PC Now I have tried to install the disk set of the XP start up disks <windows root>\system32\hal.dll is missing or corrupt issued by the microsoft web site By the time I get to the nd disk i get the all to famous quot ntkrnlmp exe could not be loaded The error code is quot I have changed my boot ini file to point to the correct locations for the operating system folders on the correct partitions I have C amp D partitions on one drive This is what my boot ini file looks like boot loader timeout default multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS operating systems multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Microsoft Windows XP Professional quot fastdetect Windows is loaded on the D drive and all my programs are installed on to the C drive This problem seems to be a big huge issue thats spread all over the place on the internet and when you go and try Microsoft's answer to this problem located here http support microsoft com default b en-us http support microsoft com default b en-us You will get no fix no answer nothing solved At leas that has been my case If anyone can give me a hand here before I go insane I would appreciate it largely I have a month DJ tour to do in China in weeks and I want to get back to burning more music to CD for this Tour Contact me dirstly xxx house productions yahoo com cn Your help is greatly appreciated DJ LexXxus C

A:<windows root>\system32\hal.dll is missing or corrupt

is this computer a new build?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-root-system32-hal-dll-is-missing-or-corrupt-49746.html
Relevancy 55.9%

When I switch on my laptop I get a black screen with white type telling me that the file above is missing and advising me to insert recovery disk and go to repair screen - happens every time. What should I do?? Thanks.

Relevancy 55.9%

Hi,
I have a laptop, DELL Latitude D430, WinXP.
After normal start-up, it gave me back black screen with the error mentioned above.
I search through the forum for some advice.
1. I do not have any recovery/install CD
2. Moreover, the laptop does not have any CD drive
3. F8 and last know configuration/safe mode did not work at all

What am I supposed to do?
Thx

A:<Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe is missing

ntoskrnl.exe = Windows NT Kernel

You need Dell XP Recovery CD. Contact them for media replacement

Dell - http://support.dell.com/support/topi...t?docid=331556

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-root-system32-ntoskrnl-exe-is-missing-541999.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi all,

I have a laptop, a Dell latitude d610 that says:

\windows\system32\config\system

I attempted to try the fix listed here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

but when I went to copy using the command:

copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak

into the tmp directory I created it said:

File could not be copied.

It seems as if the directory im trying to copy is completely unavailable. If anyone knows of another fix please help me out. Any help is greatly appreciated...thanks!

Relevancy 55.9%

For some reason my friend s pc has crashed and the above error message appears blue screen I have managed to reinstall windows on c drive as a separate partition the only way to get or corrupt <windows root>\system32\hal.dll missing the pc working again The only problem is that the resolution of the screen is really low and unable to change I can connect to the internet and everything but would like to fix the old windows and <windows root>\system32\hal.dll missing or corrupt get the resolution back <windows root>\system32\hal.dll missing or corrupt Please tell me what programs to download etc to fix I have trawled the internet for hours reading about replacing boot ini files and even tried overwriting the hal dll file from the windows system that is now working Please help I m sure there is an easy fix somewhere and you are the guys who know PS reinstalling windows or repairing windows from original disk does not seem to do anything still stuck with a low resolution as if it s running in safe mode nbsp

Relevancy 55.9%

Powered down xp one night- removed power cord -to bring USB back to life
(forum suggestion) now windows xp hangs up on starting. Tried 2 different boot disks. wont START.. XP boot disk says re-install missing
windows root\system32\hal.dll

how do I get that file....AND how do I install it ►► if I cant get the computer to turn on..!!!!

thxs

A:XP won't Startup | missing windows root\system32\hal.dll

Whats the make/model of the system?

Please clarify a little more. Are you saying that Windows will not load with the hal.dll error or are you saying that the system will not turn on.

The fix for the hal.dll issue is this.
Make sure that you habe the BIOS set to boot from CD first.
Boot from your CD and follow the directions to start Recovery Console.
Then type the following hitting ENTER after each line

Attrib -H -R -S C:\Boot.ini
DEL C:\Boot.ini
BootCfg /Rebuild
Fixboot

Restart

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/397135/xp-wont-startup-missing-windows-rootsystem32haldll/
Relevancy 55.9%

A few days ago I noticed my computer was running horribly slow so I ran Malawarebytes Anti-Malware which came back clean The slowness continued so I ran CCleaner <Windows or missing Root>\system32.hal.dl corrupt to clean up the registry I noticed several registry items that popped up on the delete list that I never saw before some were Word ink files and others were Azureus ink files among others I assumed it was OK to delete them After that is when the real problems started The system slowed to an absolute crawl In fact I had to restart the computer because it <Windows Root>\system32.hal.dl missing or corrupt seemed frozen Upon rebooting my hard drive made an odd noise then I received the following error message Windows could not start becasue the following file is missing or corrupt lt Windows Root gt <Windows Root>\system32.hal.dl missing or corrupt stem hal dll Please re-install a copy of the above file Therein lies the problem I do not have my original Windows <Windows Root>\system32.hal.dl missing or corrupt disk and I can t access anything on my desktop I tried to reboot in recover mode and all I got was a black screen and a blinking curser Nothing happens when I try to type a command I searched the existing topics and I can t seem to figure out what to do if I have no disk and no ability to download Can Someone please help

A:<Windows Root>\system32.hal.dl missing or corrupt

You can create your own Recovery Console disk with this file:http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.isoYou must burn this file to a CD as an ISO. Post back if you need more information on how to do this.Insert the CD into the CD drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.Type: bootcfg /rebuildIt's important to have a space before the "/".To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.Info on the bootcfg command: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291980

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/270834/system32haldl-missing-or-corrupt/
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi i installed something and restarted comp Now i get this error windows system corrupt or missing and i can not boot into windows I think I had a related problem before I fixed it though I just booted from Win XP cd selected the partition with my windows installed on it and chose some option repair the selected Windows XP installation It self copied some files rebooted and i was able to go back in windows The problem is now when i boot from windows CD that option is not available anymore I can only seem to delete create format partitions or simply install setup a new windows installation No options to do a self repair Does anyone know why this option is not available anymore and what u need to do to get it back Is error) windows/system32(corupt/missing it because of the file system i have formatted the partition in or is it a different WinXP version CD I m clueless at the moment Any help greatly appreciated nbsp

A:windows/system32(corupt/missing error)

If using a different cd than the one you installed/repaired with previously, that very well could be why you don't have the same repair option. Most definitely if the original cd where proprietary; ex. Dell or HP restore disk. However, you may not need to run a repair. Here is a site that explains how to recover from the error you are experiencing. A Google search on “windows/system32 corrupt or missing” will produce many other sites pertaining to that issue.

In case you have missed a step in running a repair install, review the following:

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-system32-corupt-missing-error.552826/
Relevancy 55.9%

I have a customer who brought in a PC because of BootMGR errors I tried to run bootrec rebuildBCD and fixboot both to no avail We decided the best way to fix the problem is to reinstall Windows however his CoA Windows\system32\config folder is HDD from missing has been worn out and there are no visible numbers on it So I took the HDD out of the laptop and went to point Produkey to the folder where the registry hives were located when I discovered the C Windows System Config folder is missing The actual CONFIG folder is missing not the registry hives but the entire folder they should be contained in is gone In an attempt to save the customer a buttload of extra money can anyone provide any possible insight as to how I can retrieve the product keys or what would have happened to the config folder All of the google searches I've conducted only yield results for if the SYSTEM reg hive is missing corrupted but that is not the case Windows\system32\config folder is missing from HDD because again it's the CONFIG folder itself that is missing Facepalm

A:Windows\system32\config folder is missing from HDD

Hi, have you tried checking Shadow Copies?

Right Click on System32 folder >> Choose Properties >> Previous Versions tab.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/544115/windowssystem32config-folder-is-missing-from-hdd/
Relevancy 55.9%

I am attempting to fix my friends computer and am coming across issues It is a Gateway laptop MX running windows xp media center edition There was a virus on the computer and instead of trying to remove it she tried using the windows or root\system32\hal.dll missing corrupt system recovery and wiped out the OS Now when she reboots it says quot Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt lt Windows root gt system hal dll Please re-install a copy of the above file So I used the operating windows root\system32\hal.dll missing or corrupt system disc that came with the laptop to re-install XP but it comes up with the same error The system seems to have managed to memorize the data on the disc so now even without the OS disc it can go into system recovery on its own if I press F It looks like it does not even recognize the CD because I do not get the option windows root\system32\hal.dll missing or corrupt to re-install Windows when I try to boot off windows root\system32\hal.dll missing or corrupt the disc It just keeps taking me to system recovery which is not working I have set the BIOS to CD first Now i don't know if it's a problem with the disc or something wrong with my cd reader or could there be something wrong with the hard drive Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks in advance

A:windows root\system32\hal.dll missing or corrupt

"The system seems to have managed to memorize the data on the disc, so now even without the OS disc, it can go into system recovery on its own if I press F11."

It hasn't "memorised" what was on the CD. There is probably a hidden factory recovery partition on the hard drive which is accessed when you press F11 during the boot process. The recovery CD isn't needed for that. Still, I don't know why it doesn't actually work.

This Microsoft page may help you: Error message in Windows XP SP2:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-root-system32-hal-dll-missing-or-corrupt-616452.html
Relevancy 55.9%

my system is showing ntoskrnl.exe file is missing so I tried to format the PC,but after formating and copying file when the grphical protion is coming before that <Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe. this error is showing

Kindly help me regaridng this problem.

A:<Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe. missing

Hi mate,

I cannot understand what you're asking here. Please can you clarify as I can that 31 people have skipped your post and I'd imagine this is because it's not clear.

Cheers, Crit.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-root-system32-ntoskrnl-exe-missing-557968.html
Relevancy 55.9%

hi there please see below for my log there are error popup everytime i open my computer please help thanks Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP (file WINDOWS\System32\icdd7ee6.dll missing) SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared WINDOWS\System32\icdd7ee6.dll (file missing) ccSetMgr exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccEvtMgr exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccProxy exe C WINDOWS system cisvc exe C WINDOWS system crypserv exe C WINDOWS System inetsrv inetinfo exe C WINDOWS System cba pds exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared VS Debug mdm exe C Program Files Norton Internet Security Professional Norton AntiVirus AdvTools NPROTECT EXE C WINDOWS System nvsvc exe WINDOWS\System32\icdd7ee6.dll (file missing) C Program Files Dantz Retrospect retrorun exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared CCPD-LC symlcsvc exe C Program Files Common files WinTools WToolsS exe C WINDOWS System WLTRYSVC EXE C WINDOWS system fxssvc exe C WINDOWS System bcmwltry exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files Common Files Dell EUSW Support exe C WINDOWS System pctspk exe C WINDOWS System DSentry exe C Program Files Dell QuickSet Quickset exe C Program Files Apoint Apoint exe C Program Files Roxio Easy CD Creator DirectCD DirectCD exe C paprport FBDirect exe C Program Files Winamp Winampa exe C Program Files Caere OmniPagePro opware exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe C PROGRA Maxtor OneTouch Utils OneTouch exe C Program Files Dell Support Alert bin NotifyAlert exe C WINDOWS MXOALDR EXE C WINDOWS System impnkj exe C WINDOWS System cldflyy exe C WINDOWS System LzioMediaUpdater exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C PROGRA INTERN inetmgr exe C WINDOWS System hpdllhost exe C WINDOWS System vufeixl exe C Program Files Common files WinTools WToolsA exe C PROGRA INTERN inetsvc exe C Program Files Excite PrvtMsgr bin x IMPipe exe C Program Files Common files WinTools WSup exe C Program Files Apoint Apntex exe C WINDOWS System ctfmon exe C PROGRA DELLMO moh exe C Program Files SysAI SysAI exe C WINDOWS System wmnask exe C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Distillr AcroTray exe C WINDOWS System zstatus exe C Program Files Norton Internet Security Professional Norton AntiVirus navapsvc exe C Program Files Norton Internet Security Professional Norton AntiVirus SAVScan exe C WINDOWS system cidaemon exe C WINDOWS system cidaemon exe C Documents and Settings mycomputer etnamaid My Documents download HijackThis HijackThis exe C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http websearch drsnsrch com sidesearch cgi id R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http websearch drsnsrch com sidesearch cgi id R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page file C Documents and Settings mycomputer etnamaid Desktop nakedwebsite index html R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http www dellnet com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http websearch drsnsrch com sidesearch cgi id R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http websearch drsnsrch com sidesearch cgi id R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http red clientapps yahoo com customize ie defaults stp ymsgr http my yahoo com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http red clientapps yahoo com customize ie defaults su ymsgr http www yahoo com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search CustomizeSearch http websearch drsnsrch com sidesearch cgi id R - HK... Read more

Relevancy 55.9%

it says the the when missing get i start system32.exe a error windows i path is incorrect or something i just got rid of a WHOLE bunch of viruses worms or something in the system folder and i was reading the other post about this so i ran hijack this and heres what it told me Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files McAfee McAfee VirusScan Avsynmgr exe C WINDOWS system crypserv exe C WINDOWS System nvsvc exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files McAfee McAfee VirusScan VsStat exe C WINDOWS Explorer exe C Program Files McAfee McAfee VirusScan Vshwin exe C Program Files STOPzilla Stopzilla exe C WINDOWS System rmctrl when i start windows i get a missing system32.exe error exe C WINDOWS System sistray EXE C Program Files PCI Audio Applications Mixer exe C when i start windows i get a missing system32.exe error Program Files Common Files Logitech QCDriver LVCOMS EXE C Program Files Logitech ImageStudio LogiTray exe C Program Files Adaptec Easy CD Creator DirectCD DirectCD exe C Program Files McAfee McAfee Shared Components Guardian CMGrdian exe C Program Files MSN Messenger MsnMsgr Exe C Program Files McAfee McAfee Shared Components Instant Updater RuLaunch exe C Program Files McAfee McAfee VirusScan Avconsol exe C Program Files McAfee McAfee Firewall CPD EXE C Program Files Common Files Network Associates McShield Mcshield exe C Program Files Logitech ImageStudio LowLight exe C Program Files Winamp winamp exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Documents and Settings Matthew Desktop HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www google ca R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Window Title If You Are Reading This Your A ing Moron F - system ini Shell Explorer exe C WINDOWS System System exe O - BHO no name - - F - D - - D F - C PROGRA SPYBOT SDHelper dll O - BHO Ipswitch WsftpBrowserHelper - ED -FB C- D - D - DA B - C Program Files WS FTP Pro wsbho k dll O - BHO no name - E F - - D - F B- D B D - C WINDOWS System StopzillaBHO dll O - Toolbar no name - - FC- baf- C C-BCE BD F - no file O - Toolbar amp Radio - E - F- D - E- A C - C WINDOWS System msdxm ocx O - Toolbar McAfee VirusScan - ACB E - - C -A - B A A CB - C Program Files McAfee McAfee VirusScan VSCShellExtension dll O - HKLM Run STOPzilla C Program Files STOPzilla Stopzilla exe autorun O - HKLM Run DAEMON Tools- quot C Program Files D-Tools daemon exe quot -lang O - HKLM Run LVCOMS C Program Files Common Files Logitech QCDriver LVCOMS EXE O - HKLM Run LogitechGalleryRepair C Program Files Logitech ImageStudio ISStart exe O - HKLM Run LogitechImageStudioTray C Program Files Logitech ImageStudio LogiTray exe O - HKLM Run McAfee Guardian quot C Program Files McAfee McAfee Shared Components Guardian CMGrdian exe quot SU O - HKLM Run MSConfig C WINDOWS PCHealth HelpCtr Binaries MSConfig exe auto O - HKCU Run MsnMsgr quot C Program Files MSN Messenger MsnMsgr Exe quot background O - HKCU Run McAfee InstantUpdate Monitor quot C Program Files McAfee McAfee Shared Components Instant Updater RuLaunch exe quot STARTMONITOR O - HKCU Software Policies Microsoft Internet Explorer Restrictions present O - HKCU Software Policies Microsoft Internet Explorer Control Panel present O - Extra context menu item amp Download with amp DAP - C PROGRA DAP dapextie htm O - Extra context menu item Download amp all with DAP - C PROGRA DAP dapextie htm O - Extra Tools menuitem Sun Java Console HKLM O - Extra button AOL Instant Messenger TM HKLM O - Extra button Related HKLM O - Extra Tools menuitem Show amp Related Links HKLM O - Extra button Messenger HKLM O - Extra Tools menuitem Windows Messenger HKLM nbsp

Relevancy 55.9%

When trying to log on getting the above message how can I reinstall . Advent netbook so no cd

A:windows root system32\hal.dll missing or corrupt

You could borrow a CD of the same XP level on the understanding you only need it for repair purposes, and buy a USB powered CD ROM - they don't cost much and you will save a professional repair cost.

Does this also happen if you try to log in using Safe Mode? If you can get in, or borrow a CD, try Checkdisk first. At the Command Prompt, type chkdsk /r (including the space) and press Enter, then let the five stage process run through.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-root-system32-hal-dll-missing-or-corrupt.968794/
Relevancy 55.9%

My computer won't start, it says it is missing the following file

windows root\system32\hal.dll,

how can I reinstall it because when I press any key the computer reboots.

I do not have the original disk because windows xp was already installed when I brought the computer.

Thank you for any (not too technical) help.

A:Missing file> windows root\system32\hal.dll

Hello and Welcome to TSF

Your going to need a XP cd in order to fix this issue. Can you borrow a friends?

If you get an error regarding a missing or corrupt hal.dll file, it might simply be the BOOT.INI file on the root of the C: drive that is misconfigured.

Here's what to do:

1. Insert and boot from your Windows XP CD.
2. At the first R=Repair option, press the R key
3. Press the number that corresponds to the correct location for the installation of Windows you want to repair.
4. Typically this will be #1
5. Type bootcfg /list to show the current entries in the BOOT.INI file
6. Type bootcfg /rebuild to repair it
7. Take out the CD ROM and type exit

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/missing-file-windows-root-system32-hal-dll-239781.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi i was wondering if someone could help me out i get the above error when the system starts up i am running XP pro I have gone into recovery mode and all goes well untill i get to the part where i have to copy the files I am getting an error something like file not found Im not near the system at the moment Is there anything i am doing wrong I have tried CHKDSK r and p Cheers md tmp copy c windows system config system c windows tmp system bak copy c windows missing is c:\windows\system32\config\system system config software c windows tmp software bak c:\windows\system32\config\system is missing copy c windows system config sam c windows tmp sam bak copy c windows system config security c windows tmp security bak copy c windows system config default c windows tmp default bak delete c windows system config system delete c windows system config software delete c windows system config sam delete c windows system config security delete c windows system c:\windows\system32\config\system is missing config default copy c windows repair system c windows system config system copy c windows repair software c windows system config software copy c windows repair sam c windows system config sam copy c windows repair security c windows system config security copy c windows repair default c windows system config default nbsp

A:c:\windows\system32\config\system is missing

Go here:

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/c-windows-system32-config-system-is-missing.800779/
Relevancy 55.9%

I believe I may have erroneously deleted the captionally noted file when I attempted to use an AV program other than the paid AVG program I am using currently Missing File: C:|windows|system32|mshtml.hlp I was Missing File: C:|windows|system32|mshtml.hlp absent for a while Missing File: C:|windows|system32|mshtml.hlp and when I returned and went through my mail attempted to right click on an image to save it to quot My picture quot folder I got the I E error message quot The system cannot find the file specified quot On pressing the quot Help quot option I got the message quot Cannot find the file c windows system mshtml hlp Help file Check to see if the file exists on your disk If it doesn t you need to install it I made a search of the pc quot C quot disc for this file with negative results I have my OS installation disc however am not sure exactly what to do to make sure the missing file is reinstalled I recently attempted a registry change with catastrophic not to mention expensive results therefore am very hesitant to barge right in and do this on my own I would greatly appreciate any step by step walk through that may be provided as to how do the reinstall without screwing up the whole shooting match TYIA Mchaggis

A:Missing File: C:|windows|system32|mshtml.hlp

This file is not on my WinXP pc either. Did you Google it? I just did a Google search and this Microsoft Article sheds some light on the subject. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q190250/Perhaps related (perhaps not) I do have a file called MSHTML.DLL sitting in C:\i386 and in C:\WINDOWS\System32, as well as in c:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\KBxxxxxx\SP2QFE (for several KB patches) which would say to me it's probably related to SP2 or regular KBpatch/updating. So if you don't have this file, it may cause update issues.I'm by no means a pro with computers. So I'll let one of the forum experts add to what I have found for you so far. I don't think you really need it if I read the MS Article correctly. I don't have MSHTML.HLP and I can right click images and save to My Pictures folder just fine.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/66693/missing-file-cwindowssystem32mshtmlhlp/
Relevancy 55.9%

My uncle recently returned from holiday and tryied to start his computer up upon doing so he was shown a message saying that the file \windows\system32\winload.exe was missing damaged or currupt and to fix this he needed to insert the windows vista disc and go to fix problem however when he brought his computer he was not given the windows vista disc and cannot do this. The file error is 0xc000000f. Is there sny way to fix this without buying a vista disc. The computer will try a memory scan but upon completion will show the orriginal error message and everything else either restarts the computer or shows the error message. Is any one ablr to provide any help

Thanks

A:Missing File \Windows\system32\winload.exe

ok this should help http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/ but it is only recovery not a install disc

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/missing-file-windows-system32-winload-exe.799278/
Relevancy 55.9%

Hello, I am new to this website, I recently joined to seek help for my 2 laptops(Dell latitude D620, And my dell latitude E6400) this thread is dedicated to the E6400 which needs to be "booted" from a CD on Startup, it says press any key to boot up from CD. Which i do have the operating system Disk, which says (on the cd) "already installed on your computer". Im not sure what the problem is. Any help will be appreciated. Im willing to spend alittle money to buy what i dont already have to ensure my Cpu's Rebirth Thanks in advance.

A:Missing \windows\system32\config\system

Hello RaThoth and welcome to Seven Forums.

If the E6400 needs a CD to boot, you might try a Startup Repair.

Startup Repair

If this doesn't help you could also take a look at a Repair Install (link at bottom of tutorial.)

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/350162-missing-windows-system32-config-system.html
Relevancy 55.9%

I have a problem, on my desktop, it goes to a black screen telling me that the file <Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe is missing please install it to continue, I was going to rum repair utility from the XP Pro CD, but my keystrokes are not recognized during boot up, the lights on the keyboard will flash green from time to time, but not stay lit, so whrn it asks me to pres any key to boot from CD, i cant do it, any suggestions or I deas what the hell is going on? I am using a ps2 keyboard, and have tried a USB converter and plugging it in to a USB port with th same result.

The Machine is an COMPAQ Presario SR2002X with an AMD Sempron processor.

Any help / ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

A:<Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe is missing

Check the keyboard and make sure it is good on another computer. PS/2 is more reliable than USB.

If the keyboard works on another computer, and you cannot get the keystrokes recognized to even boot to BIOS, you have a hardware problem.

I'd be looking at Power Supply first.

Post the specs of your PSU, Make, model, output.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-root-system32-ntoskrnl-exe-is-missing-349086.html
Relevancy 55.9%

I am having problems with my computer and the message lt <windows file Missing root>\system32\hal.dll windows root gt system hal dll file missing or corrupt I have tried several of the posts on this site and none of them have worked I have an E-machines T and WinXP home edition came installed in Missing <windows root>\system32\hal.dll file it I don't want to use the disks that came with the computer since that will clean everything off my hard drive There are files and pictures on the hard drive that I don't want to lose I have learned my lesson that data must be backed up frequently I do not have a WinXP CD but I have downloaded the disk set from Windows and tried to run the repair console from that I get to the repair option and select it It does not give ask about any installation location It takes me to c gt and I can type in basic commands I tried following the help posted at http xphelpandsupport mvps org how ing or cor htm and was not successful When I entered bootcfg list it came back with No boot entries available to display I proceeded to the next step and entered bootcfg rebuild The error that came back was Failed to successfully scan disks for windows installations may be corrupt file system which would prevent bootcfg from successfully scanning Use chkdsk to detect any disk errors I ran Chkdsk and it stopped at complete and had an error message That message was The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems I thought I could copy boot ini from A to C so I tried Dir C That message was An error occurred during directory enumeration I can see the bad drive when I slave it to another computer When I try to look at it using explorer it comes up with the disk is not formatted would I like to I am at a loss as to what to do and would appreciate any help you can offer Thanks

A:Missing <windows root>\system32\hal.dll file

how many hard drives and/or partitions do you have ?

also i would read these articles : 1 2

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/missing-windows-root-system32-hal-dll-file-65885.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Hello,
I did a update for win xp and when my pc restarted i am unable to boot win xp. i tried the 6 boot disks and did recovery console now when the pc comes on it say windows could not start b/c the file is corrupted or missing
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM YOU CAN ATTEMPT TO RESTORE THIS FILE USING WINDOWS ORIGINAL setup cdrom but i do not have this cd rom what do i do?

A:help!missing \windows\system32\config\system

Microsoft Security Product Support PolicyTechnical support is available from Microsoft Product Support Services at 1-866-PC SAFETY (1-866-727-2338). There is no charge for support calls associated with security updates. International customers can get support from their local Microsoft subsidiaries. Phone numbers for international support can be foundat: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspxCall Microsoft for assistance as your problem resulted from a security update installation.If they cannot help, come back here. Actually come back here in any case and let us know what happened.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/29535/helpmissing-windowssystem32configsystem/
Relevancy 55.9%

Hello great folks My dilemma started without any change in software or hardware I simply tried to boot one day and windows would not load a disk read error occurred corrupt root\system32\hal.dll missing or Windows press ctrl alt del to reboot error displayed Per some of the stickies here on the site I tried the western digital diagnosis and found no errors I then downloaded the xp recovery iso rant the chkdsk r and completed then tried the fix boot and received the following error upon boot up Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt Windows root system hal dll Please re-install a copy of the above file After a little bit of research online I once again tried the recovery console disc and attempted this fix per the microsoft forums At the command prompt type bootcfg rebuild and then press ENTER This command scans the hard disks of the computer for Windows XP Microsoft Windows or Microsoft Windows NT installations and then displays the results Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to add the Windows installations to the Boot ini file For example follow these steps to add a Windows XP installation to the Boot ini file When you receive a message that is similar to the following message press Y Total Identified Windows Installs C Windows Add installation to boot list Yes No All You receive a message that is similar to Windows root\system32\hal.dll missing or corrupt the following message Enter Windows root\system32\hal.dll missing or corrupt Load Identifier This is the name of the operating system When you receive this message type the name of your operating system and then press ENTER This is either Microsoft Windows XP Professional or Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition You receive a message that is similar to the following Enter OS Load options When you receive this message type fastdetect and then press ENTER after completing this I could get to the boot option screen and select the new boot config but I still get the same error Thanks in advance you guys provide an amazing service

A:Windows root\system32\hal.dll missing or corrupt

Boot from your CD and follow the directions to start Recovery Console.
Then type:

Attrib -H -R -S C:\Boot.ini
DEL C:\Boot.ini
BootCfg /Rebuild
Fixboot
See if that takes care if it

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/371150/windows-rootsystem32haldll-missing-or-corrupt/
Relevancy 55.9%

Windows cannot start. This happened after trying to install Spybot....

The message appearing on the screen says:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
Please re-install a copy of the above file."

We just bought this Dell Dimension 8400 about 8 months ago. It is running Windows XP Media Center.

On the phone with Dell all morning yesterday, and they said our hard disk has crashed and they need to send someone out to install a new one. The customer Service Center in India was shut down due floods.....on hold forever and ever.
We are wondering if the diagnosis is even correct.

Does this error message indicate that the hard disk has crashed?

Will I be able to recover my data on it, if so?

A:File missing<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.....WHAT TO DO?

HAve you tried downloading the dll that is supposed to be corrupt and replacing the defective one?http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_haldll_missing.htmThis might help.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/27199/file-missingsystem32haldllwhat-to-do/
Relevancy 55.9%

I have a new laptop Lenovo running Windows and have set up a WAMP server for website development I need to modify my Host file to set up a Virtual Host I have always used Windows OS but not very knowledgeable about tech stuff beyond what I need to know for website development The problem I have is that my C Windows System Drivers etc folder is not there I started out by having problems setting up an Administrator account I tried to run lusrmgr msc and no luck On my Computer Management screen the Users and Groups folders were missing from Local Users C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc Folder Missing and Groups I thought maybe the Lenovo installed version of Windows was not full featured so I paid to upgrade to Windows Pro After the upgrade I was able to access the administrator account and the Users and Groups folders were visible But my C Windows System Drivers etc folder is still missing I had noticed it was missing before I upgraded to Windows Pro so I don't think that had anything to do with it Any ideas I have been stuck on this for days

A:Missing Folder C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc

This is a long shot, a straw-grasp on my part: have you tried booting rescue DVD or USB stick and running Startup Repair? I'm hoping it would sniff out that the Drivers directory is missing and reinstate it. I'm sure you have already clicked un-hide folders & files from within Folder Options.
Tweaking.com's Windows Repair (All in One), accept default clicks, add items #26 & 27 -- might be your first and best bet.
And, you're not using any 3rd party DriversUpdateManager, correct?
Before doing much more than the above: please make sure you have restorable image backups just in case.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/63679-missing-folder-c-windows-system32-drivers-etc.html
Relevancy 55.9%

My computer has been working great until this morning.

When I started my DELL Dimension computer I could not start Windows.

- Dell Dimension 8400.
- Pentium 4 Processor
- Microsoft XP Home Edition
- 160 GB SATA RAID Hard Drives
- DVD and CD Drives
- Surround Sound

The message I get is...

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt <Windows Root>\System32\hal.dll. Please reinstall the file."

I tried each of of the options including " Last Known Good Configuration" but I get the same result: "Windows could not start..."

I have redundant hard drives that appear to be functioning ok on start-up so my data should be safe.

I have the Dell reinstall CD for Windows XP (service pack 2) if I need to access the specified file from the disk

Please advise what steps I can take to resolve this issue.

Thanks for the help!
EDO

A:Help! Missing File: <Windows Root>\System32\hal.dll

Insert your xp cd and boot from it.

Let it load up when you see a screen that has a list of options and Hit R to enter recovery console is one of them do it.

You should see your OS there, hit 1 and push enter.

Type the admin password in.

Type expand d:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32

d: should be the letter of your cd drive and c: should be ur os drive.

If it asks to overwrite the file type y and hit enter.

When thats done remove the disc and type exit, your machine will reboot.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/help-missing-file-windows-root-system32-hal-dll-590884.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Dear Techies, We have a ClientPro 345 Desktop PC from the now-defunct Micron/MPC Computers. Last night the computer shut itself down. Today, we cannot start Windows (OS Win XP Pro) and get the following message:

Error: Missing windows\system32\config\system

When using the System Restore CD and getting a C prompt, we have tried to set up a temp file to enter commands and access is denied.
Computer is not recognizing the sector on the hard drive that has Windows and wants to reformat. We want to avoid doing this.

It looks like the hard drive is dying rapidly.

We have a back-up from 7/5/09, but would still like to save the data from 7/5to today.

Any suggestions for what we can do?

Thanks,

J Parker

A:Missing windows\system32\config\system

Connect the hard drive to a different PC, either using an external enclosure, or internally to copy off the Data, or boot with a Live CD to copy the Data.

Live CDs
Ultimate Boot CD for Windows
BartPE CD/DVD
Ultimate Boot CD
Knoppix
Ubuntu
Puppy Linux
The first two require access to a Windows XP Disk
The Ultimate Boot CD does not include SATA drivers, so you'll either need to be able to change the BIOS setting for the SATA controller to ATA instead of AHCI, or Compatibility mode instead of Enhanced(wording will vary)

If the partition table has gotten corrupted, Windows might not recognize that the drive is partitioned/formatted. Test Disk might be able to fix that long enough to recover your data. It's included on some of the Live CD's above.

Once you've recovered the data and the drive can be seen by Windows, you can run chkdsk X: /r on the drive to see if that will correct the issue. Be sure to use the correct drive letter.

If that doesn't fix it, you can then attempt to repair the system using this procedure:

How to restore the registry from a System Restore point by connecting the drive to a 2nd PC.I'll refer to the problem drive as drive E: in this procedure.
Change the letter as needed to match whatever drive letter it is shown as by the working PC.
Open Windows Explorer (right click My Computer, click Explore)
Change View Settings to make sure hidden and system files are visible: In Windows Explorer, click on Tools | Folder Options -> View Tab
Check the following:
Display the contents of system folders (not present in Win2K/Vista)
Show hidden files and folders
Uncheck the following:
Hide extensions for known file types (WinXP/Vista)
Hide file extensions for known file types (Win2K)
Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)

Double click the E: drive in the left pane of Windows Explorer
We now need to gain access to the System Volume Information folder shown in the right pane.
Follow the steps from this article: How to gain access to the System Volume Information folder
In some cases we may also need to take ownership of the System Volume Information folder.
Follow the steps from this article if needed: How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP
Once done, double click the System Volume Information folder in the right pane.
Double click the _restore{... folder in the right pane(there will be a bunch of numbers/letters after the **, different on each system)
Click on the View menu, then on Details
You should see a list of folders named RPxxx, where xxx will be a number.
In the right pane, click twice on the Date Modified column heading.
This will sort the folders by date with the newest one at the top.
Check the dates of the folders, and find one with a date BEFORE the problem occured.
Double click on the RPxxx folder selected above
Double click on the snapshot folder in the right pane
In the left pane we need to make E:\Windows\system32\config visible: Click the plus sign in front of E:\Windows
Click the plus sign in front of E:\Windows\system32
Scroll the windows as needed so that E:\Windows\System32\Config is visible in the left pane.

Copy the following files to E:\Windows\System32\Config by dragging each one while holding the CTRL key and dropping it on the E:\Windows\System32\Config folder in the left pane (make sure a plus sign is displayed to indicate copying):_REGISTRY_USER_.DEFAULT
_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SAM
_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SECURITY
_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE
_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM

Now, click on the E:\Windows\System32\Config folder in the left pane
Rename the following files (highlight each file and press F2, then edit the name):Rename DEFAULT to DEFAULT.bak
Rename SAM to SAM.bak
Rename SECURITY to SECURITY.bak
Rename SOFTWARE to SOFTWARE.bak
Rename SYSTEM to SYSTEM.bak

Now rename these files:Rename _REGISTRY_USER_.DEFAULT to DEFAULT
Rename _REGISTRY_USER_SAM to SAM
Rename _REGISTRY_USER_SECURITY to SECURITY
Rename _REGISTRY_USER_SOFTWAR... Read more

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/missing-windows-system32-config-system-398676.html
Relevancy 55.9%

my window root stystem 32 hal.dll. is corrupt. an d i eill like to install it free.

A:Missing <windows root>\system32\hal.dll file

**Please note: You will need a Windows XP CD for this exercise**

Insert a Windows XP CD into your CD/DVD drive.
Restart your computer.
It should now be booting off your Windows XP disc.
If it doesn't boot off the CD. Follow the steps below:
Change boot order in BIOSWhen your computer is starting up tap the Del key and until you enter the Bios, when in Bios click on Boot order and change it to : CD/DVD
Hard Drive (HDD)
Floppy

Then save and exit Bios (Your computer should now be restarting)

While it is booting off the disk you should get a prompt to Press R to enter recovery Console, Press R.

Press 1 to log onto Windows then press Enter. You will need the administrative password to get into to command prompt. If the administrator password was blank press enter.

Type into the command prompt : chkdsk /r and press Enter. When the Disc Check is complete type in Exit and press enter. Remove the Windows XP CD.

Windows should start up normally now.

Please post back with any concerns or problems.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/missing-windows-root-system32-hal-dll-file-232797.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Hello everyone my girlfriend started complaining yesterday that her computer was running extremely slow so i remoted in to clean it up a little bit and see what i could do I went to missing completely windows/system32/drivers run hijackthis and to my suprise it came back and said it would not be able to give me a accurate scan because it couldnt access the host file so i started browising to the location only to find out that it doesnt even have a drivers fold under system let alone ETC hosts file The computer is windows bit I have full adminstrator privelages windows/system32/drivers completely missing I tried to make a drivers fold but it started telling me i didnt have access I ran an extensive scan with MBAM and avast but was unable to come up with anything i check out all the installed programs and services just to see if i could see anything out of the norm but there was nothing hijackthis had a few things with IE that i fixed but it was nothing major just the normal crap from browsing and toolbars I also went to MSCONFIG and made sure there was nothing running except what needed to be I took it down to safemode without going into safemode and still had no luck Any ideals would be great i dont want to have to reinstall windows but i am completely out of ideals and it would seem if something is able to remove my drivers folder it might be a good ideal anyway

A:windows/system32/drivers completely missing

Welcome to Seven Forums.

You may have to "Show hidden files and folders" in Folder Options.

Control Panel or go to the Tools Menu.

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/222130-windows-system32-drivers-completely-missing.html
Relevancy 55.9%

I have an old Dell Dimension DIMC desktop running Windows XP with service pack Recently my brother was using the computer and accidentally opened up a bunch of instances of the same game It was going really slow so he tried to turn off the computer normally but he eventually just held the power button down to turn it Windows Corrupt or Missing System32\DRIVERS\pci.sys XP off When he tried turning it back on he got a blue screen with the error Stop c a Fatal Windows XP System32\DRIVERS\pci.sys Missing or Corrupt System Error The Session manager initialization system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of xc c The system has been shut down The numbers in parenthesis may have been a little different After looking around on the internet he decided to try the recovery console using the XP installation disk He did a chkdisk r on the c drive and then restarted the computer This time we got a different error Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt System DRIVERS pci sys You can Windows XP System32\DRIVERS\pci.sys Missing or Corrupt attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM Select r at the first screen to start repair After looking around some more he found out you could copy this file using copy c windows ServicePackFiles i pci sys c windows system drivers or copy c windows system dllcache pci sys c windows system drivers But when we tried these we got the message quot Access denied quot We also tried something like expand lt CD-ROM DRIVE gt i system drivers pci sy c WINDOWS system drivers to which we got the same message We then tried set AllowAllPaths true to which we got the message The SET command is currently disabled The SET command is only an option Recovery Console command that can only be enabled by using the the Security Configuration and Analysis snap-in So now we don t really know what to do We can t start the computer in any of the safe modes We ve run chkdisk r and p a couple of times but it s still giving us that same error I ve seen that the problem might be related to the hardware drivers If anyone knows how to fix this please let me know Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 55.47%

Okay so I followed this tutorial: Change Windows 7 Logon/Logoff Screensaver! and I know this ia a common problem but anyways I receive an error that Direct 3D 9.0 is missing. Keep in mind this is for the windows 7 logon screen... How do I enable this so I can have my own custom screensavers at the logon screen???

Also I have gotten the logon.scr file but I don't want to use that screensaver at the logon screen...

A:Direct 3D 9.0 is missing on Windows 7 logon screen... how to enable?

Bump... I still need help with this problem please...

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/304700-direct-3d-9-0-missing-windows-7-logon-screen-how-enable.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Hey folks windows \windows\system32\config\system - missing broken or Cannot boot [SOLVED] When I started my computer today i was told it could not boot due to windows system config system being missing or not working properly It explained I could pop in [SOLVED] Cannot boot windows - \windows\system32\config\system missing or broken my Windows XP cd to go to the repair thingy don't actually know the name - my computer settings is in Danish I hope you understand And nothing happened and I was told to write EXIT to restart the computer and other than than a cmd promt where i could type commands Due to not being that tech savy i decided to get online and search around for a way around it if it existed I read that others had the same problem and various other stuff how to solve it Most popular the quot copy c windows repair system c windows system config quot and quot chkdsk c r quot I hereafter tried the chkdsk c r method seeing as moving copying things around with no idea what i was doing could be a bad idea It ran the CheckDisk test and said some problems were fixed But when i restarted the computer the problem was still there Now my question Should I attempt the copy method and is there anything special I should note OR is there another way to do this A windows install on top of my own But I really don't wanna lose any data as I have a lot of work on it Some details which might be important The XP disk I used to start the repair is not the XP disk used for installing the XP version i have on the computer I had a copy of XP and then bought a new computer with XP already installed It is however both XP Home but I don't know what service pack is included on the disc i think none And I should have the newest updates on my current install whatever it might be I have not run a diagnostic of the HDD But I am fairly sure it's working I can see and select it if i press F and asked where to boot from And it showed no problems with seeing it's name and capacity when running the CheckDisk When I first inserted the XP disc got to the menu and pressed 'R' Nothing really happened except that it said i could write EXIT to restart the computer After I ran the CheckDisk and got to the same point it asked which windows installation i wanted to log into I assume this is not a bad thing But I felt like you should know Thanks for reading hope you can help Just ask if you have any questions

A:[SOLVED] Cannot boot windows - \windows\system32\config\system missing or broken

Update:

With some help from my brother(who is a lot better at this than me) we tried the copy thing. Moved the old system file away, and brought in the system.bak from the repair folder, renamed it to system and rebooted.

Now it didn't say anything about the system file missing or being broken, but came up with the windows loading screen, then went to black and for a very bried moment came up with a blue screen with some text on it before it restarts.
I can't make out what it says on the blue screen because it is so very brief.

And now it just reboots over and over again. Have we done something completely wrong?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-cannot-boot-windows-windows-system32-config-system-missing-or-broken-361560.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Alright here is my story My computer randomly gave me this message it has been a few weeks and I don t remember start following is \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM Windows because XP corrupt: not or the could file missing what exactly happened before I got the message Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt WINDOWS SYSTEM CONFIG SYSTEMI have tried many times to fix this problem having tried many different methods and have even gotten my computer to stop giving me the message but other problems soon came afterword I will explain this later Let me also point out Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM that I have made a recovery disc and DO NOT have an original XP disc to use The disc gets me Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM into the Recovery Console Tool so I am not sure if Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM this is that big of a deal And let it also be known I have very little knowledge of the Recovery Console Tool or any other type of MS-DOS or DOS-looking codes commands or whatever Let me first start with what I have already tried and tell you what problems came from trying that particular thing First AttemptI went to the obvious at the beginning looking around hoping this would be an easy fix I found a guide on Microsoft s website where I followed some instructions http support microsoft com default aspx kb en-us The problem here was simple I would type a quot copy quot command and there would be an error saying it cannot find the file to copy Second AttemptI found this in another thread posted on the internet and decided to try it out http www kellys-korner-xp com xp sys htmI did this the first time and it had many errors and whatnot recently did this and had same results as third section of the third attempt Third AttemptI found this and it looked very promising and actually did something http swatrant blogspot com windo because htmlAlright as you can see this is split up into different sections In section it says to run quot chkdsk quot I ran this exact command CHDSK C After I did this I was very excited and it seemed like it was fixed because this was the first time that I had gotten to the quot Windows XP Loading Screen quot Before this it wouldn t even load that Now here is where the next error comes in It goes to a place asking for a username password I have never set a password for my computer and only have one quot profile quot It doesn t even look like I have a quot profile quot it looks like a quot network quot thing where it asks for my username and password if you are not understanding this part I can try and explain better I don t really know how to explain this Well I type in quot administrator quot as my username and have a blank password and it starts loading like it is the right one and once it starts loading it doesn t even go to the desktop it immediately logs out after that I have tried doing this many times and I cannot seem to actually get on the physical computer After having that episode happen I looked for a fix for THAT problem figuring that it was connected and ran across this http www geekstogo com forum Windows-XP- entry this is link d to the post that I did And that didn t help one bit I read later someplace that this probably isn t the problem and that it still has to do with my corrupt quot hive quot or something which I guess is the files I am trying to replace Now for stage two on that Swantrant s I did this and everything would smooth I replaced it all and then rebooted it and got the same wont-let-me-pass network login I did the last system restore date and the second to last system restore date and both of them didn t fix the login situation Next I tried stag... Read more

A:Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

From the recovery console try typing CHKDSK /R... notice the space between K and /R...see if that helps will some of your problem.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/225749/windows-xp-could-not-start-because-the-following-file-is-missing-or-corrupt-windowssystem32configsystem/
Relevancy 55.47%

Hello I bought A dell XPS roughly mid September The pc was for me and college work As i lived away from family during college terms the pc stayed with me until summer time On saturday the pc was put into the back seat of the car with car belt other items pinning it to the seat beside me When i got home i insured i got the pc to my room safely yet when i started the pc i got Windows cannot start as there is a start, corrupt windows\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM missing or cannot file Windows file missing or corrupt press R to repair WINDOWS SYSTEM CONFIG SYSTEM i put in the OS cd given by Dell with the pc purchase and attempted to Repair and attempt a reinstall of the OS the missing or corrupt file when i get a blue screen of death including BAD POOL CALLER Stop X C X X XCA X X i attempted also Windows cannot start, file missing or corrupt windows\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM to make boot to cd this priority for booting yet decided to change it back to old since there was no point I am hoping someone here can offer me assistance oh yes also i took the HD put it into this pc as a slave copied the important files to an external in the hope that i could reinstall windows At this stage Windows cannot start, file missing or corrupt windows\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM i am stumped i think the HD may have been damaged from excessive vibrations caused by the pot holes trenches that existed on the journey Irregardless i would appreciate the assistance nbsp

A:Windows cannot start, file missing or corrupt windows\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-cannot-start-file-missing-or-corrupt-windows-system32-config-system.830517/
Relevancy 55.47%

hey my computer gets this
Windows will not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM. You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM. Select ?R? at the first screen to start repair

and i tried and reinstall windows xp home edition sp2 but it says that i cant due to the fact that the file
hal.dll is missing and i dont know what to do please help

A:Windows Will Not Start Because The Following File Is Missing Or Corrupt: \windows\system32\config\system. Y...

If you can get on a friends computer build the UBCD4Win this will give you full read/write access to your hdd.Copy the needed files across from the original install media into the system32 folder.Then do the following from the ubcd4win CD:Go -> Programs -> System Tools -> Check DiskType C if this is your partition containing the operating system, adjust according if these files are on a different partition ie D, E etc....Do you want to fix errors .....:Enter YStart check disk?Enter YThen defrag the Hard Drive with Dirms.Go -> Command promptThen type the followingdirms C -qThis will defrag the hard drive, once completed reboot.Your system should now boot.If this still doesn't work you will need to do a repair installation of XP.This should fix the problem.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/36800/windows-will-not-start-because-the-following-file-is-missing-or-corrupt-windowssystem32configsystem-you-can-attempt-to-repair-this-file-by-start/
Relevancy 55.47%

Windows XP file is missing or corrupt \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM I don't have the setupdisk anymore. This is a desktop PC from Dell (Dimension 3000) about 6 years old. I was booting up when the electricity went out and when it came back on this is all that the PC will do. I pulled the hard drive and it spins and sounds like it is trying to read.

A:Windows XP file is missing or corrupt \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

How to Restore the Registry Hives From a System Restore Snapshot in Windows XP
How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting
How to automate the Microsoft suggestion above

Any boot disk that can move files will work for this. Including:

Parted Magic disk partitoning tool (Bootable CD image)
If you prefer a bootable USB key, download and run Linux Live USB Creator. Choose the Parted Magic distro, and it will download it and automatically create a bootable USB key.

This CD (or key) contains many useful tools. You can partition, recover files, recover lost partitions, make disk images (by several different methods), transfer files between media, scan for viruses (It can serve as an Alternative Trusted Platform for search and elimination of rootkits and bootkits), examine and benchmark hardware, access the internet, and much more.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-file-is-missing-or-corrupt-windows-system32-config-system.1007877/
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi All Ok last night corrupt is Windows wont missing \windows\system32\c_1252.nls or start: I was trying to update my creative sound card drivers I went to the creative website and downloaded the latest drivers for my sb audigy zs During the install of the drivers my computer Windows wont start: \windows\system32\c_1252.nls is missing or corrupt said that there were older drivers installed and asked if I wanted to delete the old drivers and restart the computer I clicked quot yes Windows wont start: \windows\system32\c_1252.nls is missing or corrupt quot the old drivers were uninstalled and the computer restarted When I entered windows the driver installation resumed but a screen also popped up that said something about opening the trouble shooter for my sound card or something like that I wasnt really paying attention When the trouble shooter screen came up the computer bsod and restarted I didnt catch the error message Now Windows wont load it says quot Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt WINDOWS system c nls quot and that I can attempt to repair using the original setup cd-rom I did some searching around the internet and found this site http support microsoft com kb However I dont have the original windows cd that came with my computer as I dont believe they sent me one I do have a recovery DVD that came with my computer I have a product key sticker on the side of my tower and I am running Windows xp Media Center I managed to locate a Windows xp pro corporate edition cd Using this cd I was able to get into the recovery console and tried to follow the instructions on the microsoft support link above First thing I did was type quot chkdsk r quot and I got quot The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems quot Okay so I moved on to the next step and I typed in quot cd system quot and I get quot There is no floppy disk or cd in the drive quot Ive tried this several times but it all results the same Thats as far as I got Im guessing the cd I have is maybe the problem I hope its that and not a serious issue Do I need my specific cd to my specific windows install to repair windows I don t see this happening Or do I need a Windows xp media center cd Or is it that the windows xp pro cd I am using is a corporate edition or I m kinda lost here and could use some help from some more knowledgeable people Any help at all is appreciated Thanks edit forgot to mention I also tried to repair windows using the guide on this forum http www techspot com vb topic html But once i hit f to agree there is no repair option just Windows xp set up create a partition or delete a partition I can get to this screen using the recovery dvd that came with my computer but I cant get to the recovery console with it nbsp

A:Windows wont start: \windows\system32\c_1252.nls is missing or corrupt

I just tried to boot up using a windows xp mce 2005 cd, but my version is 2004, and the results were the same as before.

I saw some screen shots of the recovery console online, and it should look like
"C: \WINDOWS>"

however my screen shows
"C:\>"

Everytime I type something here, it just says "There is no floppy disk or cd in the drive."

It doesn't ask me which windows installation I would like to log on to, or ask me for my administrative password.

Does anyone know anything about this, or have any advice at all?
I really dont want to mess up my computer any worse than it already is by changing things I dont understand.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-wont-start-windows-system32-c_1252-nls-is-missing-or-corrupt.73084/
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi, My son's pc wont boot, say:

/windows/system32/comfig/system
You can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup sing only the original cd. seslect 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

I have tried this with no luck and I have tried to start it in safe mode, nothing works.

Please help

Jodie

A:Cannot boot windows - \windows\system32\config\system missing or broken

You have a corrupted registry use the following guide form microsoft. Link below:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cannot-boot-windows-windows-system32-config-system-missing-or-broken-362555.html
Relevancy 55.47%

When I got back from camping it looks like my cousin had opened my computer everything looked ok but the side panel wasn't on right and my lamp was on the floor Everything is still in it and looks plugged in i booted it up and it has this error ...missing not file... Windows could start \Windows\System32\Config\System Windows could not start because Windows could not start ...missing file... \Windows\System32\Config\System the following file is missing or corrupt Windows System Config System You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM Select 'r quot at the first screen to start repair I booted to repair console to see what I could do and my drive letter was listed as D Windows normally C Whatever happened I think it's trying to boot off drive C while windows changed to D but somehow my drive letter changed I have no idea what happened and can't contact my cousin to see he did My drive letter should be C I can reinstall Windows but man what a pain I only have an SP disc Any ideas Additional info that you don't need to read but might want to I tried unplugging my cd drive the only other drive in my computer not even a floppy and that didn't change anything The BIOS looks like it did It's a TB harddrive with two partitions one is just a backup that is usually set to drive D I used an external hdd but let my cousin borrow it several days ago before I left and maybe he used it while I was gone and somehow swapped the drive letters He's no good with computers so he wouldn't know HOW to do that I took my mouse keyboard with me for my laptop - so he would have needed to use his own or take one from our old computer it doesn't look like he touched the other computer though If I try to use the recovery console it freezes when i select the drive Looks like I have to reinstall

A:Windows could not start ...missing file... \Windows\System32\Config\System

If you are going to format and reinstall or perform a repair install you may want to learn How to Slipstream Service Pack 3 into Windows XP

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-could-not-start-missing-file-windows-system32-config-system-389888.html
Relevancy 55.47%

OS - XP Pro Retail SP disk is OK Hardware-Sata disk-GA-MA VM-S Gigabyte motherboardIssue XP doesn t install on the motherboard Got it to work when I made the Floppy disk with the drivers on another PC that worked \windows\system32\config\sys... Following Start Is File The Corrupt: "windows Could Or Because Not Missing and set XP to use those SATA RAID driversCrashes about throughManaged to install XP Pro on the disk on a different PC and swapped the SATA hard drive back into the original system XP bootsProblem is I still need to install the drivers for the integrated video and pretty much everything else on the motherboard except the SATA controllerI run "windows Could Not Start Because The Following File Is Missing Or Corrupt: \windows\system32\config\sys... the included Gigabyte series it appears to work fine however after installing the South Bridge chipset and restarting I get the Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt WINDOWS SYSTEM CONFIG SYSTEM errorFIXMBR FIXBOOT an repairing the boot ini all failsso does http swatrant blogspot com windo because htmland microsoft s more quot full quot way of the above Actually to clarify The latter link does get XP back into a functional state but without the required drivers

A:"windows Could Not Start Because The Following File Is Missing Or Corrupt: \windows\system32\config\sys...

This error means that Windows was not able to load the \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM registry hive. It does this early in the boot process in order to initialize many Windows functions (the rest of the registry loads much later in the boot process).The reasons for this are many, but the clue here (IMO) is that you installed the OS on another system. Windows has setup that disk to use the hardware in the other system - and it's balking at all the hardware changes that it sees (along with the different security descriptors that are generated in each system). This is likely to be the cause of the failure to load the registry hive error that you mention.The best thing to do (again IMO) is to put the disk back in the system that you installed it on and boot it up. Then uninstall all the hardware devices (other than the motherboard and CPU) that you can. DO NOT RESTART!!! Once everything is uninstalled, shutdown the system and then remove the hard drive.Put the hard drive in the new system and boot directly to the CD with the XP installation files on it (ensure that you do not boot to the hard drive as this will start the process that we're trying to avoid) and perform a repair install ( http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm ) Presuming that there are no hardware issues, this will enable the new system to boot successfully.More info here: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/147796/windows-could-not-start-because-the-following-file-is-missing-or-corrupt-windowssystem32configsystem-on-gigabyte-mobo/
Relevancy 55.47%

I have Windows/system32/config/system Corrupt XP Missing or Windows file an Windows XP Corrupt or Missing Windows/system32/config/system file E-machines T PC It came with bundled software When I booted it on Sunday I received the following message quot Windows has failed to start because the Windows system config system file is missing or corrupt quot My question is this Can I correct this problem if I Windows XP Corrupt or Missing Windows/system32/config/system file have an OEM software package bundled software With the massive amount of research I've done over the past days it appears that if you have the basic windows installation - a windows package not bundled with other software - that this is a pretty easy thing to fix - you simply use the quot recovery quot system Well apparently with a bundle you don't have that option My bundle does not appear to have a quot repair quot feature It has a recovery feature which restores the PC to its original state Is there any way that I can repair the registry without having to restore my PC to its original state NOTE The I file is contained in my C Windows folder as opposed to the root directory of C NOTE Aside from having the original disks at my disposal I have set up a second hard drive which contains a complete and updated through SP version of Windows This was set up using the same disks as the failed hard drive so they are virtually identical where windows is concerned NOTE I have Accronis installed on both hard drives but the one that failed only has a data backup not a system backup

A:Windows XP Corrupt or Missing Windows/system32/config/system file

Ok! I suggest you do this:
Insert your window's XP CD and start your computer..If u r prompted to press a key to contninue do it.
When you see the welcome screen press F10 so u can get to the recovery console or just wait till the OS read the hardwares of your computer and take you to a menu from where u can press R (repair)
Once on the recovery console type 1 If u have one OS on your machine..
Type the Administrator's password when u r prompted to (if u assigned a password of course, if not press enter)..If you use XP HOME EDITION just press Enter (Password is blank).
Go to config by typing this: cd c:\windows\system32\config (If the prompt was C:\Windows> just type CD system32\config).Your prompt will be:
C:\Windows\System32\Config then type this command: ren system system.bak
You will get a message stating system was renamed.
Copy system from repair directory like this:
Copy c:\windows\system32\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system a賘nd press Enter..A message will show u that 1 file was copied.
Retrieve your CD and type EXIT to start your computer again.
Good luck.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-xp-corrupt-or-missing-windows-system32-config-system-file-295102.html
Relevancy 55.47%

When I logon to win XP my system folder opens Below is a copy of my log file from HJT HELP PLEASE Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass logon system32 on exe C WINDOWS System Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS system32 on logon system svchost exe C Program Files Windows Defender MsMpEng exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic sched exe C Program Files AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic avguard exe C Program Files Common Files AOL ACS AOLAcsd exe system32 on logon C Program Files Common Files AOL TopSpeed aoltsmon exe C Program Files APC APC PowerChute Personal Edition mainserv exe C Program Files Belkin Belkin Wireless Network Utility WLService exe C Program Files Belkin Belkin Wireless Network Utility WLanCfgG exe C Program Files Microsoft SQL Server MSSQL Binn sqlservr exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system ZoneLabs vsmon exe C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files Zone Labs ZoneAlarm zlclient exe C Program Files AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic avgnt exe C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C Program Files Windows Defender MSASCui exe C Program Files Internet Explorer IEXPLORE EXE C APPS HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http us rd yahoo com customize ycomp adbe defaults sb http www yahoo com search ie html R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http us rd yahoo com customize ycomp adbe defaults sp http www yahoo com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http us rd yahoo com customize ycomp adbe defaults sb http www yahoo com search ie html R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http us rd yahoo com customize ycomp adbe defaults sp http www yahoo com O - Hosts localhost O - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - HKLM Run Zone Labs Client C Program Files Zone Labs ZoneAlarm zlclient exe O - HKLM Run avgnt C Program Files AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic avgnt exe min O - HKLM Run TkBellExe quot C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe quot -osboot O - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe O - HKLM Run Windows Defender quot C Program Files Windows Defender MSASCui exe quot -hide O - Extra context menu item amp AOL Toolbar search - res C Program Files AOL Toolbar toolbar dll SEARCH HTML O - Extra context menu item E amp xport to Microsoft Excel - res C PROGRA MICROS OFFICE EXCEL EXE O - Extra button no name - B E C - FCB- CF-AAA - C - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - Extra Tools menuitem Sun Java Console - B E C - FCB- CF-AAA - C - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - Extra button Research - B - CC- C -B BE- C C A - C PROGRA MICROS OFFICE REFIEBAR DLL O - Extra button Real com - CD F -D E - d - FE- C F AFE - C WINDOWS system Shdocvw dll O - Extra button Messenger - FB F -F - d -BB E- C F - C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe O - Extra Tools menuitem Windows Messenger - FB F -F - d -BB E- C F - C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe O - DPF -C A- E-A -C C BBF Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool - http go microsoft com fwlink linkid O - DPF A BA-A DF- F -B -AA AA A F InstallerBehaviorFactory Class - https signup msn com pages MsnInstC cab O - DPF A C - - D -BF - A CCE B TTestGenXInstallObject - http www mathxl com wizmodules testgen installers TestGenXInstall cab O - DPF A CF B-EC A- D-A D- DC B AB B QDiagAOLCCUpdateObj Class - http aolcc aol com computercheckup qdiagcc cab O - DPF FE - - E-AFAD-DEB EDE PearsonAsstX Control - http www mathxl com apple... Read more

Relevancy 55.04%

<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
Please re-install a copy of the above file
Can anyone tell me how to fix this please?

I have Windows XP Home, and an enternal System recovery partition D:
No rcovery Disk

A:file is missing or corrupt:<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.

Hi Zend,

First, welcome to TechGuy.org forums.

Its true from the error message that the Hardware Abstraction Layer (hal.dll) file is missing or corrupt. Reasons can be quite complicated to explain but I suggest five (5) ways out and I advice try them carefully as they are stated.

Method 1:
Does ur PC provide an option for emergency recovery from the recovery partition upon start-up? If it does, u can follow the option to launch the program that you can use 2 revive ur PC. My Compaq nx6310 notebook has a recovery partition too and gives me ...

Press F11 for emergency recovery

... and I've used it for a similar PC revival.

I believe the emergency recovery option uses the recovery partition 2 work. Again, read and consider the options carefully before progressing to avoid loosing ur documents in the long run.

The next 3 other ways to resolve this issue relies on u getting a Windows XP Home Edition CD and then booting ur PC from the CD up till the stage of the Recovery Console. On the page where it says 'Welcome to Setup', you press letter R to enter Recovery Console.

In the recovery console, type the number corresponding to ur windows installation and press enter key. At this stage, u may now try the following steps if Method 1 is not successful.

Method 2: This will try to scan ur disks. It has most often times worked.

Chkdsk /P /R
exit

Method 3: If Methos 2 fails, enter the following commands one after the other in recovery console. They will try to rebuild the boot configuration manager. The last command (exit) will restart ur PC to take effect.

Attrib &#8211;h|-s|-r C:/boot.ini
Del C:/boot.ini
bootcfg /rebuild
fixboot
exit

Method 4: If method 3 fails, enter Recovery Console again and type the following commands. U may replace cddrive with the drive letter of ur CD too.

Expand cddrive:/i386/hal.dl_ C:/windows/system32/hal.dll
exit

Method 5: If the first 4 methods fail, I advice u either Repair ur Operating system or consider a total reinstallation of it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/file-is-missing-or-corrupt-windows-root-system32-hal-dll.844263/
Relevancy 55.04%

When i restarted my computer i got this error that says my /windows/system32/config/system directory is corrupt or missing and i can press'r' at the setup screen to repair. I tried that didnt work so i inserted the original windwos xp home dition setup cd and ran it. I then get the option to continue setup 'enter', repair 'r', or exit 'f3' after some files load up. If i hit 'enter' or 'repair' i get a message that says"Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer. Make sure any hard disk drives are properly powered on and supply connected to your computer and that any disk related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program. SETUP CANNOT CONTINUE. PLEASE HELP!!!

A:Corrupt Or Missing /windows/system32/config/system

Please edit your email addy out of your post - that's a sure way to get spammed beyond belief!

That being said, this error seems to indicate a problem with your hard drive. If you have not backed up your important data - stop trying to access that drive immediately. It's not known if your data is still there, but if it is, further attempts at accessing it could cause data loss.

If there's nothing worth saving, then I'd suggest downloading a bootable hard drive diagnostic from the manufacturer of your hard drive (usually free) and running the test on the hard drive from there.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/123112/corrupt-or-missing-windowssystem32configsystem/
Relevancy 55.04%

My Toshiba s5200 701 crashed today.

Windows shows this error:

+windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: windows root system32/hal.dll+
+please re install it.+

First, this Toshiba is an European model and I am living in the USA.
Second, the model is old.
Third, I do not have the XP CD to reinstal the operating system.

I do not know if it is worthy to purchase a new XP Professional for this computer.

Any ideas, suggestions. Please advise.

Jose

A:Satellite 5200-701 windows root system32/hal.dll missing

Hi

I read about such issues?
You will need to reinstall the OS but it could be also possible that this error is related to faulty HDD and/or RAM.
Many uses got this error again after new OS installation and in different cases the RAM or HDD was affected as well.

What to say; it?s your decision what you want to do... I would recommend reinstalling the Win XP once again in order to check if this issue is related only to missing hal.dll in system32 folder.
At the other hand the Win XP licence is not expensive because Win 7 is on the market and nobody want to use "old" OS which will be discontinued in the next couple of years...

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?61950-Satellite-5200-701-windows-root-system32-hal-dll-missing
Relevancy 55.04%

My kids kicked the cord for my keyboard and it came out, so when
I tried to put it back in the power cord came out, then when I tried to
get onto my computer I ran into this problem.
I went to
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/en-us
I can't even do step one, I got to the right directory, did the md tmp
then tried to copy the files. It said it didn't copy them, so now what
do I do. I have the win cd, but I just formatted my puter 2 months ago,
and haven't been able to get my other hard drive in to save my pics
and stuff, so i really don't want to format to fix this prob. can
someone PLEASE help me. thank you.

Relevancy 55.04%

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt :
C:WINDOWS ROOT>\SYSTEM32\NTOSKRNL.EXE"

I am dual booting XP black 32 bit and Vista ultimate 64 bit.

I am having this problem when trying to boot into XP. I do NOT have the XP black CD, but I do have a Windows XP SP2 disk 32 bit. Could I use this CD to fix boot and/or replace the boot.ini or NTOSKRNL.exe? Would that work OK?

Thanks.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/missing-file-c-windows-root-system32-ntoskrnl-exe.771726/
Relevancy 55.04%

my vaio xp media center is hung up on windows/system32/config/system file is missing...safe mode always ends with the request that i reinstall using discs i have never had...graphics card (the infamous nvidia) already failed on this thing once, and they ARE all disarray....anyone solve this with discs? "deleted by moderator" much appreciate any yeas or nays on this...thanx much!!!

A:\windows\system32\config\system file missing

Hi elagabalus and welcome to TSG

I've edited out your email address in your above post. You don't want to subject yourself to spam attacks and we also like to keep things within this forum here.

Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-system32-config-system-file-missing.1083153/
Relevancy 55.04%

Hi. I'm in desperate need of help. My Compaq Presario C330EA is saying WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM is missing or corrupt. Safe modes will not load up. BIOS will (F10), but I'm lost when it comes to that.
It says insert Windows System Restore disc or something, but I don't have that. I can't find anything! :-(
Is there a way I can do a restore? Usually I go to Start>All Programs and eventually boot the computer up in a mode where I select what I think is called 'destructive' recovery (this wipes everything except what was on the computer out of the shop. the windows xp setup is required afterwards).
Please help :s

Relevancy 55.04%

I restarted my computer today and right after it started booting from my C: drive, an error came up that said something like "Windows cannot find the file C:\windows\system32\ntfs.sys because it is missing or corrupted." It suggests that I use the recovery disk to fix it, but I don't have the recovery disk, so I'm kind of in trouble. Luckily, I had some Linux LiveCDs laying around, so I used one to boot up my system.I think that this might have something to do with me trying to change my boot screen, but I didn't mess with that particular file, so I'm not sure. Also, I haven't done anything to the RAM lately. I have Windows XP Professional SP2, and I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions as to what I should do.

Relevancy 55.04%

Hey guys,so I got this new pc and installed windows 7 on it
I installed all my drivers and made sure they are up to date
At startup i got the problem that nvscap.dll was missing and "windows manager has stopped working at startup" so I installed nvscap.dll using dllinstaller and i tried every solution on the web for the widnows manager has stopped working problem,but none of it worked so i installed the dll,thinking it might have something to do with it,since both of the errors appear together when I start the pc.After i installed nvscap.dll it didn't show that it was missing anymore,instead it said "Error in C:\Windows\system32\nvscap.dll Missing Entry:#13".I really don't know how to get rid of this problem,so I hope I might get some help around here.Thanks.

Relevancy 55.04%

Hello New to the forum but in desperate need of help I keep missing or WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/CONFIG/SYSTEM corrupt getting this message when trying to boot my netbook Sadly I do not have my recovery disc as it is in UK and I m in Argentina Have purchased a new XP disc with the hope of reinstalling the hard disc is partitioned with data separate windows WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/CONFIG/SYSTEM corrupt or missing All goes well and I get to a blue screen with options to install XP to repair or to cancel If I select either install or repair I just get another blue screen with a registry error message and I can get no further I have read a similar post WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/CONFIG/SYSTEM corrupt or missing on the help pages which gave options First to use the recovery disc which would involve a png journey and second to download a recovery utility which I cant do as I cant use the computer I m using a hostelone now I never get to a command prompt screen at all Sorry I should add that I have had the hard drive and RAM tested in a computer shop today and all cleared ok Is there any way around this nbsp WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/CONFIG/SYSTEM corrupt or missing

A:WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/CONFIG/SYSTEM corrupt or missing

I can't think of a reason why clicking to install should throw the Registry error - it should go straight to copying files and installing but if it did that, it's probable that the data partition would have been destroyed so in a way, you're lucky.

If this is possible in your circumstances, your safest course of action is to remove the hard disk and use a USB convertor to slave it into another system. Once you have your data saved in a place of safety outside that disk, you can then format it to a clean state, put it back in your netbook and then install XP form the new disk.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-system32-config-system-corrupt-or-missing.974359/
Relevancy 55.04%

I was burning a backup CD and when it was done my comp just froze.

When I rebooted it, I got the message:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEMClick to expand...

So then I decided to make boot disks but as I inserted the 4th disk in, I got the message:
File usbehci.sys caused an unexpected error (4096) at line 5897 in d:\xpsp1\base\boot\setup\setup.cClick to expand...

Can someone please help me with this?
Help much appreciated as always.

Relevancy 55.04%

Yesterday I turned on my PC and completely out the the blue I recieve this error Windows System Config System - Missing or Corrupt My system won't boot at all into windows so I have been browsing the net for a solution to cure Missing OR Corrupt? - Windows/System32/Config/System this error although every website I've been to doesn't work I've tried many different solutions and none of them work Windows/System32/Config/System - Missing OR Corrupt? and the last thing I want to do I reformat win XP and lose all of my data so I have to find a way to either repair the file OR copy all of my data especially my web browser links At the moment I have my HD from the broken PC in my dads PC downstairs and I've been trying to transfer his system file onto my HD but it won't allow me to do this it keeps stating - 'Cannot copy system It is being used by another person or program' is there a way around this If so would it be possible to transfer this file and cure my PC The other thing I was trying to do was to find my web browser links favs on my HD but I have been looking and I can't seem to find them does anyone know where I can locate them Any help would be most appreiated

A:Windows/System32/Config/System - Missing OR Corrupt?

Hi razor14789, and Welcome to TSF!

To attempt to recover from this disastrous situation, I will give you a link to a Microsoft? workaround that is a bit complicated; however, if you follow the instructions exactly its not that bad, and it has worked for me.

This is the Link to "Recovering from a corrupt registry that prevents windows from starting".

Good Luck with it; be patient and follow the instructions carefully.
Post back with the results, and any other queries/concerns.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-system32-config-system-missing-or-corrupt-125799.html
Relevancy 55.04%

Came home from work to see this lovely message on my laptop during startup.Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEMYou can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM.Select 'r' at the first screen to start the repair.I have my SP3 CD handy, but I'm not sure which route to take when using the RC, or if I should try UBCD4WIN first as I've seen it as a possible solution (). Thanks in advance, guys.

A:Missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

I've fixed that error message a couple of times on my desktop pc, with chkdsk /rI also have a UBCD4WIN disk, but have never needed it, as the above has been successful.If you can boot to it from your SP3 slipstream disk, you could run chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console.Back up your important data, first; you could use a Linux Live CD, to do that, as your laptop won't boot.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Run CHKDSK to attempt to Repair Your Damaged Hard Disk from the Recovery Console.1.Boot your computer from the CD2.Your computer will begin to boot. Eventually, you will see a screen asking you what you would like to do. Press the letter R on your keyboard to proceed to the Windows Recovery Console.3.As you progress to the Recovery Console you may be asked which partition you would like to boot into. Type the number associated with the partition containing your NTFS partition (usually 1 or 2) and then press enter to continue. You may be asked for your administrator password. If you have one, type it in and press enter. If you do not have a password to boot your computer into Windows, simply press enter.4.Now you should be at a command prompt. From here, type the following command without the quotes and press enter: "chkdsk /p"(OR go straight to Step 6, because /r locates bad sectors and recovers readable information. Implies /p.).5. /p is a short test that will tell you whether or not a longer test is needed.If after the test completes, the message "One or more errors detected on the volume" appears, then proceed to step 6. If no errors are reported, then your drive cannot be repaired using chkdsk.6.Now you should be back at the command prompt. Type the following command without the quotes and press enter: "chkdsk /r"7.This test will take a while depending on the size of your drive. It will look for the errors on your drive and repair them. When it completes, you will be back at a command prompt.8.Now type "chkdsk /p" again and press enter. If no errors are reported, your drive has been successfully repaired and is safe to use again temporarily. If errors are still reported, then your drive may be on its last legs. You may be able to boot it now though.9.Remove the CD from your system and restart your laptop.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/302252/missing-or-corrupt-windowssystem32configsystem/
Relevancy 55.04%

I m wondering if someone can suggest the next step for me - I too am receiving the error message about missing or corrupt file and have seen many quot fixes quot posted on the web But my trouble is a little different I have the XP install DVD and when I put it in the computer and start it up it doesn t do anything different - i have tried to change the boot setup F i think upon startup and try to prioritize it to the number one spot but it doesn t save the change although it does look like the drive light is on during startup I can t boot it up in Safe Mode or any of the options that appear on that screen Everything I try takes me back to the black screen that says something along the lines of insert the original install disk and press R to go to the restore menu I cant get the thing to boot from the DVD To note - on the screen where you can change the boot order it doesn t say DVD drive it says CD but the drive came with the computer One thing I was able to do was to go some or corrupt \windows\system32\config\system missing is sort of system \windows\system32\config\system is missing or corrupt troubleshooter it s a Dell computer and you could do a full scan a short scan or go through a tree to pick a scan that best suits your problem I went into the tree and scanned all the things listed under quot my system will not boot up quot and everything checked out fine Any thoughts This is actually my brother s computer and they are pretty computer illiterate so it s hard for me to get more info Would appreciate any suggestions Thanks nbsp

A:\windows\system32\config\system is missing or corrupt

Windows XP does not normally come on DVD but on a CD. Are you sure you have an original Windows XP CD and that its not some sort of Recovery Disc?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-system32-config-system-is-missing-or-corrupt.645492/
Relevancy 55.04%

I am running WinXP on a Dell The system will not boot the error message is lt windows root gt system hal file <windows or corrupt root>\system32\hal.dll missing dll file missing or corrupt I have not updated WinXP in a few weeks so the reason for my problem is not a recent Win update as seems to be true in many other cases Using a WinXP installation disk not the one for this computer I was able to get DOS running and poked around <windows root>\system32\hal.dll file missing or corrupt There is a hal dll file where it should be I have no way of knowing if it <windows root>\system32\hal.dll file missing or corrupt is corrupt but it is not missing I did discover that there is no Boot INI file where I would expect it to be at least none that I could find and when I entered bootcfg list the return was that there was nothing to display telling me that either there is no Boot INI file or there is nothing in the file Either way this seems like the problem Is there some way I can rebuild the Boot INI file I do have backups on a USB drive I can quot see quot the drive from DOS but can not access anything I suppose I could hook the USB drive to another computer and try to fetch a copy of the boot ini file that way and then manually recreate the boot ini file on the I do not have the original Dell WinXP disk s I tried very hard to get them from Dell when I purchased the system in but Dell does not typically provide opsys CDs with their systems Ironically when I contacted Dell about this problem earlier today they immediately asked about the WinXP disks that they would not provide I will continue to work with them all I can get is their voice mail talk about a difficult company to work with but any help would be appreciated Thanks nbsp

A:<windows root>\system32\hal.dll file missing or corrupt

Langa Letter: XP's Little-Known 'Rebuild' Command Hal.dll
http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=185301251

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-root-system32-hal-dll-file-missing-or-corrupt.569385/
Relevancy 55.04%

I am getting the "Windows could not start because the following is missing or corrupt: \windows\system32\config\system" error when I tried to boot up. I have spent numerous hours searching the net to find a fix, but nothing is working. This pc is a Dell Dimension 8400 with XP. I have tried the whole recovey console bit and everything else on google. Could someone please help me. I beg you!

A:\windows\system32\config\system Missing Or Corrupt

How have tried this solution ? Else you may have to try repairing your windows.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/89963/windowssystem32configsystem-missing-or-corrupt/
Relevancy 55.04%

Hello,

It's a Dell Inspiron. The part that is really frustrating is the laptop will not boot from cd! I can't even get to a command prompt bfore Windows attempts to startup. Whenever I select the CD ROM drive to be the primary boot it says no bootable devices. Please help. Thanks.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-root-system32-hal-dll-file-missing-or-corrupt.567597/
Relevancy 55.04%

I currently have Windows XP on my computer. I powered up one day, and now I receive the following message: "Windows cannot start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \windows\system32\config\system". I searched on the MS help/support page (http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;307545) how to fix the problem by using the Recovery console. When I type the first line in the command prompt I receive the following message: "C:\Windows>copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak --- The system cannot find the file specified." All othe command lines work except for this one. I followed and finished all the commands and I still get the message about the file missing or corrupt. I guess it's missing as opposed to corrupt? Any help? Thanks!!

A:XP C:\windows\system32\config\system missing or corrupted!

Load Recovery Console and run sfc /scannow,
you need the Windows CD in the drive to run both programs
so let it replace the files it states have changed from the original
version. If you have updated the service packs on the computer
you will want to slipstream the service pack to the OS files and
burn a new CD.

Good Luck.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/xp-c-windows-system32-config-system-missing-or-corrupted-59541.html